Find a Car Loans partner

3. Car Loans

3.9/5 (110 ratings)
Find a Car Loans partner
Banner image

Refinance your auto loan today!

See if you can lower your rate with Auto Approve

Get a quote

About Citizens Auto Finance

Citizens Auto Finance, a division of Citizens Bank, offers car loans through dealerships across the country. However, it doesn't issue auto loans directly to consumers, and it doesn't offer preapproval. After receiving a Citizens auto loan, you can manage your account online. Interest rates depend on your eligibility.

Pros

• Part of Citizens Bank
  • Online account management
  • Partners with dealerships

Cons

• Not transparent about rates
  • No preapproval

Bottom Line

Citizens Auto Finance is a division of Citizens Bank. It offers vehicle financing through dealerships across the U.S. There’s little substantial information on its website, and it’s not easy to explore options from home.

Banner image

Refinance your auto loan today!

See if you can lower your rate with Auto Approve

Get a quote

Citizens Auto Finance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?

Original review: July 17, 2019

The interest rates I am charged is 7% even with a credit score of 781. I am on a fixed income and am a senior. Always have paid my bills, mortgage, never a late payment. I will try to refinance out of this at some point.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My mother took out a loan from this company and as executor of the estate I tried to settle the account to transfer title to her Grandson upon her death. Months and months of total nonsense paid in full and no release finally after repeated calls and multiple faxes documents mail etc... They finally gave me a payoff amount and further instructions to satisfy the loan. Then after several months and even more inquiries and multiple faxes and phone calls moving from supervisor to supervisor I was to find out they sent the release to the wrong address. At that point they gave me the number and website Titlesupport.com where I had to start all over again with another round of nonsense. Please don't ever buy anything financed through this unbelievably incompetent company that should not be in business. If there was such a thing as a sub-sub-sub-prime lender this would be it!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I ordered a duplicate title, they billed and ordered it as a lien release. Canceled 5 minutes late on phone and they billed out a 10 dollar cancellation fee. Terrible service and not helpful. Explanation of service and what was needed was incoherent.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I refinanced my vehicle loan and paid Citizens One in full with bank check and my personal check for the minor difference. I went online to see if payoff was received (which it was) and noticed that the balance history did not add up correctly from October to November 2018. Instead of balance decreasing from my loan payment it actually increased by 86.00. I called (2 hours on hold) then got a customer service rep who claimed that the November payment was not received. I said I have proof of payment with electronic transfer confirmation from my bank then the Citizens One representative stated it was returned to my bank (there is no proof that it was ever returned. My bank told me and gave me documentation that they received the payment.

The next day, when I logged in, I found my loan-account had been deleted. No trace of it existed! I couldn't look at previous payments...or even see my account number. When I spoke with customer service, they confirmed this is their policy to delete paid accounts. I informed them that my bank I refinance the loan and made payments to them told me to inform them that they will be calling them about the missing payment and the overpayment of the payoff amount. I also asked why my emails went unanswered on my loan account and did not get an answer. I will be filing a complaint with the NYS Banking Commission, Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau. There is something going on with the funds that the amounts are not adding up correctly and there needs to be some kind of audit because the money paid is not being accounted for correctly.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

The customer service is great but it has been difficult paying off my auto loan as I accrue 1 cent per day and have to make the final payment via check only! I was told by two different people if I paid it over the phone or internet, the charge would end up coming right back as it wasn’t an effective method for final payment. However, paying it off in full via check may leave me with 1 or 2 random cents left by the time they actually receive the payment. It’s absurd. Why can’t we just overpay to catch any error in time lapse? Hitting that payoff down to the cent when it keeps changing seems like an antiquated method and they will certainly keep your title until that 1 cent is rectified. Just a suggestion for improvement.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I took out my auto loan for $38,000 in 2013. I have been paying $603.30 per month on time since August 2013, yet Citizens Auto Finance never reported the loan or my payment history to any of the credit bureaus. I have tried to rectify the issue with Citizens Auto Finance and with the Credit Bureaus and all I have been getting is the runaround. I'm getting denied credit and my credit score appears lower as though I have no credit when I have been paying this huge car payment for almost 6 years and Citizens Bank has never even reported that the auto loan exists.

I'm extremely disappointed and have been told by credit bureaus representatives that I can't despite the matter with the credit bureaus because they can only despute matters that are on the credit report. Due to the fact that this auto loan is not showing on my credit report I cannot dispute the fact that it is not showing after almost 6 years of excellent payment history. I would not recommend anyone use Citizens Auto Finance, as they are rude and very unprofessional. Their motto is to make excuses and pass the problem off to the next representative that never actually resolves the issues for the customer!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I had a loan with these clowns for 3.5 years paid faithfully every month. Then I bought a new car on NOV. 5 and had already made my payment so I was due a refund of $260. It is now Dec. 8 and still don't have my check. I have called 3 times. Every time I get a different story of when loan was closed and check was sent and every time I am on hold for 45 min. before talking to any of their liars. Am going to call att. general in my state and report them. Stay away from these buffoons.

Original review: July 16, 2018

So I paid off my vehicle loan. The next day, when I logged in, I found my loan-account had been deleted. No trace of it existed! I couldn't look at previous payments... Or even see my account number. When I spoke with customer service, they confirmed this is their accepted policy! So... Their policy is to delete all trace of history I have had with them?!? Pretty fishy!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Citizens Auto Finance is a horrible company. They have contracted all things title and liens out to another horrible company called My Title Support. That makes 2 horrible companies that customers will have to deal with. They are horrible because they blame one another when objectively they are both incompetent. I have never experienced such runaround. All I want is my dang lien release so I can sell a car that has been paid off for 7 years. They mailed it without verifying my address, claim that they sent a second one to the correct address but after 3 weeks it has not arrived.

I called Citizens directly and was told that they no record of me and maybe I have the wrong company or something blah blah. I called the BBB of Sacramento and they informed me that the gov has two suits against them (only two?), I'm planning on calling the AG’s office to see if they can help. If it comes to it I guess I will be shelling out big cash for a lawyer to file a court order... all for some silly lien. I fantasize now about some massive class action lawsuit against them and they would be like the wicked witch being crushed by Dorothy’s house. I appreciate the reviews I've read on this site.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I recently requested a duplicate copy of my car's title from the state. I was notified that my car had a lien placed on it by Citizens Bank so they could not issue a copy of my title. My car was fully paid off nine years ago, without ever having any problems over the course of my loan!! When I contacted Citizens Bank, I was placed on hold for no less than 50 minutes! When someone finally came on, they advised me that they couldn't tell me why there was a lien, but the only way to satisfy it was to contact a company called mytitlesupport.com. Take it or leave it. NO DISCUSSION POSSIBLE! I then contacted mytitlesupport.com on the phone, and was advised they also had no idea what the lien was for and also could not discuss it. However they could send a satisfaction of lien notice to Citizens Bank for a payment of $30.00!!!

I asked how they could satisfy the lien without knowing what it is for and I was met with total silence. To top it all off, after paying them $30.00 over the phone, they advised the only way to actually get my new title, is that they will send through US Postal Service a document stating the lien has been satisfied, and then I will have to mail this piece of paper to my state government office to finally receive a copy of my title. No electronic transfer possible!! This process will take two to three weeks!!! I have a buyer for my car that needs to register it now!!! This should be illegal!! It is a total money making scam. Why isn't this classified as theft??? Both companies are working together to obtain a payment for paid off loans. I see on this review page that this is very common. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???

Citizens Auto Finance Company Information