1.05/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

44 Citizens Auto Finance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

They said they sent me a title in February but that was the one piece of mail lost this year. I don't believe that when others have the same complaint. Now it's time to jump through hoops with a company that provides letters that confirm that your loan is paid (for 30.00), then you get to apply for a new title through your state. I dislike having to do this sort of thing a lot! I'm not giving them any credit at all. They were very dismissive on the phone and insinuated that I was somehow at fault because I waited so long to follow up. I don't buy cars very often and forget the process. They never sent a letter telling me what to expect after paying off my loan and to look for the title in the mail which I believe every company I've ever had a loan with have done. I consider this very poor customer service and it's my first and last time working with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

Been trying for 3 weeks to resolve a late fee on my account. Happened because when I paid my payment online like I've been doing for at least 5 years now, I must have hit a wrong number. No immediate notification or even notification by phone until I get SEVEN letters in the mail the beginning of August stating my loan is passed due, blah, blah. I called and explained to them what happened. They said no waiving of late fee, but they would put it through to higher-ups and see if they would consider it. I never heard back, so I called and spoke to a supervisor. He looked at my loan/payment history, saw that we are excellent payers, pay extra on our loan every month, pay on time, and said he understood the situation and would waive the fee. This phone conversation was being recorded. A week later, still have a late fee on my account. I called yet again and was told he was wrong in doing that and there would be no waiver.

I have spoken to the supposed higher-ups, and was told the same thing. And of course they conveniently cannot find the one recorded call I had with the man who said he would waive the fee. That has been lost in the call center somewhere. Bottom line, they do not value their customers. A few years ago, we got a call from them on the 23rd of the month. Our payment is due on the 20th. They were wanting to know where our camper was parked in case they needed to repo it since we hadn't made our payment yet. THREE DAYS AFTER THE DUE DATE WHEN THE GRACE PERIOD IS 10 DAYS!!! I was in shock that they were treating us like that. I've never encountered a company like this. I cannot wait until we get this loan paid off so we can never deal with them again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I am a U.S. Marine about to deploy again. Most financial institutions will suspend any loan payment during the duration of a deployment as a courtesy. While it is not required by law, it is a very simple courtesy that can be given to military members forward deployed. Usually the only thing required is proof of orders for a deployment. However when speaking to a representative and a manager both told me that they adhere to "the law". As if caring about your customers is illegal. As soon as I have the opportunity I will be refinancing with any other bank (Mind you I have either been early or on time with every single payment, never delinquent.)

Original review: May 15, 2015

When we received our first statement, we wanted to pay off our car loan in full. One payment was deducted, one wasn't. Finally, after many phone calls and the runaround, I was told that our account was closed out and we were paid in full. A week later, I got a letter saying that they returned one of our payments because of their mistake. They wanted us to send a money order. I didn't want the hassle of that, so I called and asked to make a phone payment. They charge for those so I asked if they would waive the fee, they were adamant, they would NOT. Their mistake, but I would still be penalized.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I gave the car to my daughter and she tried to get the car in her name and it showed the bank owns my car and it was paid off in a month's time ten years ago!!! They will not deal with you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

In 2004 I financed a vehicle through Charter One which is part of this company. I paid the vehicle off within months. They never sent me a payoff letter. I didn't think that these idiots were still on my title and now ten years later I have to pay money to a third party to get proof that it is paid off!!! PISS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE I SAY!!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

Do not do business with this company. I have been paying on time for 3.5 years, I have paid 14,400 so far on my SUV. I still owe 12,500. The original loan was for 11,900. They are unable to produce paperwork to show where my money is going. They are rude and unprofessional. I became late by a month and a half due to a job loss. I tried to pay 3 separate occasions and every time, told they would not take the money unless it was for the full amount. They then said they would talk to the "male" on the account - sexist. These people are crooks. Do NOT USE THEM!!!!!

Original review: June 3, 2014

After paying off my loan I reached out to Citizens Auto Finance to see when they would forward my title. I was moving at the end of the month and was concerned that it would not reach me in time. I was told that it was sent standard mai and that allowed me 2 weeks to receive my title. I forwarded my mail to my new address the day after I left the old address. It had been 2 weeks at the new address, so I went back to the apt building (who held other mail I had received) and they did not have it either. I have since called them back 5-10 times to obtain my title.

Some said they could help, some pointed me in another direction. That direction was through My Title Support. I now need a lien release ($30). I need to request a duplicate title form and then I need to take those documents to DMV and sit there for hours so that I can pay another ($25) for a duplicate title. What upsets me the most is that I have been laughed at for asking a service rep to please connect me to someone who can handle this for me right away (I'm now trying to sell the vehicle), I have been told by a Supervisor that they did nothing wrong and I have been denied a request to speak to his superior.

There is no recourse unless you want to spend hours upon hours of talking to people who are ignorant and are going to make you feel like you are the person at fault. I've been told to 'either contact my title support and pay the fee, or contact postal service and file a complaint'. Do not, ever, use this company as your lending company. If they are recommended by an auto dealership, you should probably run from that dealership as well. Businesses like this do not last long term. I have never posted a negative remark on a website before.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2013

Citizens Auto Finance was the lender for my last auto purchase. In order to make a payment by phone, they charge $12.50!!!!! After making my last payment in September, I still have not received my title as of 12/27!! I am told it is being held at a title agency in CA... I am an NJ resident. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! They find any way to rack up miscellaneous charges and offer NOTHING in the way of service! Thank you for making the auto lending process as difficult and expensive as humanly possible, RBS Citizens Auto Finance.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2011

I paid off my car loan. I received a letter in the mail congratulating me on paying it off and saying my title would be mailed within 14 days. After waiting over three weeks, I called them and they couldn't tell me where my title was, but offered to send me a duplicate if I paid for it. I have been calling them for a week with no success. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I mysteriously get disconnected! I am trying to obtain a loan for a new house and I need the title for the bank to use my car as collateral. A month later, I'm still waiting for the title!

Original review: July 29, 2011

DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH CITIZENS FINANCE. At the end of 2008, I purchased a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer from a used car lot in Joliet, IL with a loan through Citizens Finance. Over the next 2 years, I made my monthly payments on time and never missed a payment. In 2010, I went to refinance to get a cheaper interest rate, and to my surprise, I had amount $3,500 plus over my principle balance! I asked them where did this amount come from and they said it was due to late charges. I told them I never been late on a payment and they said I've alway paid $100 less than my payment.

This was due to that fact that Citizens Finance has added an Auto Insurance charge of $1100 per year for the last 3 years, even though I always had auto full coverage auto insurance on the vehicle! In addition, they continued to add late charges on top of that. I was told they would correct the problem if produced proof I had insurance with Citizens finance as the lien holder, which I did twice. The second time I physically handed the policy to them. However, they never corrected the issue and every time I called them, they make excuses. Now, they won't even take my calls. As of today, I have a payout on the car of $7,900 in which I originally paid $7,500! Consider the damage this does to my credit score. I am planning to file a lawsuit against this company.

Original review: June 2, 2011

My wages were garnished to pay off my car and I completed all payments on the car but the title was never sent to me. Two years later, they show up to take my car away saying I still owe money on it. I paid it the next day and they still have not sent my title. They added an insurance policy which I was not informed about and was never given a declaration page for. I had auto insurance and they were told to cancel that policy, by the way. Now, after recovering my car, I still do not have title or declaration page of insurance they supposedly purchased showing coverage time. I need help as they keep giving me the run around over this.

Original review: April 5, 2011

I was getting behind on my car payments and asked for a revision on my loan but was told they don't do that. My payments were late and we informed the bank we were making payments to bring the account current. In a 4 week period we paid the account to current as well as a payment due for the following month. However, Citizens did not post my payments for 2 weeks and as a result, the account went to repossession agents. Even though the payments they didn't post brought my account to current, and a future payment was also received, they failed to update the information on my account and as a result the car was repossessed.

The following morning I called the bank and the first rep informed me that the payments were in fact received and read notes on my account from 3 weeks prior that acknowledged my account was current. I was outraged, emotionally drained and horrified to be told that the repo man went around my neighborhood and asked about me and the whereabouts of the car. I admit I was very angry and made no secret of that after I had to keep calling back to get the status on my car.

After several calls to the bank, and being put on hold for 20+ minutes more than once, or hung up on, I was told that they didn't know who had the car, where it was or when it would be returned. After 4 hours I called the police to report it stolen as well as informed Citizens AF Supervisor that I was reporting my car stolen since they didn't seem to know where it was and were responsible for it.

When I received the information on the agent who had the car I called them and was told the bank did not update the information on my account until this morning after I called them and told them what happened. When the tow truck brought the car back it was very dirty and the hood was dented. The driver told me he dropped it at a convenience store off I95 in Maryland and then drove back to NJ. He had to drive back down from NJ to MD to get the car and then bring it back. This saga goes on but the rest of the day I tried to talk to the bank to get the real status of my account since I was also told those payments were going to be applied to the repo charges and they didn't have the correct payment amounts.

I also found out from the driver who the "middle-man" company is that the bank was using to hire the repo agent. When I called them and told them I had a damaged car and I also wanted to know when they received the information from the bank, they gave me a number to call. It was a disconnected number. That was also confirmed by the company when I got another number for them and called back. I have yet to get the correct department to answer the phone so I can make the claim for the damage. When I called the bank back to get a number to call to request a higher level manager to discuss the account with me, I was also given a bad number. As a result of their actions in the past 24 hours, I have suffered from emotional anxiety due to the mishandling of this situation by them.

A physical condition I was in treatment for and had to miss my appointment today was worsened when I was told to get my belongings from the car when the tow truck driver rang my doorbell at 12:30 a.m. I was so upset and in trying to reach the contents in my trunk, which was up on the tow hook, I injured myself further. I would like to know what grounds I have to file a formal complaint on the bank and restitution for the damages to the car, the emotional stress, the pain I am now suffering from having to retrieve my belongings from my car and the financial burden caused by missing work.

Original review: June 13, 2009

I just made my last payment on my car loan finishing up all the stubs in the book. In the back of the book, there is a number to call to find out if we owe any money because they told us the last stub was not actually the last payment. We had to call for the last payment, which I did. The operator I spoke to told me I owed a late charge from June of 2008. This does not make sense because I previously had a couple of late payments and they had to be paid with right away. This just doesn't add up because they would have told us immediately if we were late and we would have to pay it at that time which was done in the past. Can you please let me know if I have a legitimate claim?

Citizens Auto Finance Company Information