2. Finance
  3. Car Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Citizens Auto Finance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I took out my auto loan for $38,000 in 2013. I have been paying $603.30 per month on time since August 2013, yet Citizens Auto Finance never reported the loan or my payment history to any of the credit bureaus. I have tried to rectify the issue with Citizens Auto Finance and with the Credit Bureaus and all I have been getting is the runaround. I'm getting denied credit and my credit score appears lower as though I have no credit when I have been paying this huge car payment for almost 6 years and Citizens Bank has never even reported that the auto loan exists.

I'm extremely disappointed and have been told by credit bureaus representatives that I can't despite the matter with the credit bureaus because they can only despute matters that are on the credit report. Due to the fact that this auto loan is not showing on my credit report I cannot dispute the fact that it is not showing after almost 6 years of excellent payment history. I would not recommend anyone use Citizens Auto Finance, as they are rude and very unprofessional. Their motto is to make excuses and pass the problem off to the next representative that never actually resolves the issues for the customer!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I had a loan with these clowns for 3.5 years paid faithfully every month. Then I bought a new car on NOV. 5 and had already made my payment so I was due a refund of $260. It is now Dec. 8 and still don't have my check. I have called 3 times. Every time I get a different story of when loan was closed and check was sent and every time I am on hold for 45 min. before talking to any of their liars. Am going to call att. general in my state and report them. Stay away from these buffoons.

Original review: July 16, 2018

So I paid off my vehicle loan. The next day, when I logged in, I found my loan-account had been deleted. No trace of it existed! I couldn't look at previous payments... Or even see my account number. When I spoke with customer service, they confirmed this is their accepted policy! So... Their policy is to delete all trace of history I have had with them?!? Pretty fishy!!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Citizens Auto Finance is a horrible company. They have contracted all things title and liens out to another horrible company called My Title Support. That makes 2 horrible companies that customers will have to deal with. They are horrible because they blame one another when objectively they are both incompetent. I have never experienced such runaround. All I want is my dang lien release so I can sell a car that has been paid off for 7 years. They mailed it without verifying my address, claim that they sent a second one to the correct address but after 3 weeks it has not arrived.

I called Citizens directly and was told that they no record of me and maybe I have the wrong company or something blah blah. I called the BBB of Sacramento and they informed me that the gov has two suits against them (only two?), I'm planning on calling the AG’s office to see if they can help. If it comes to it I guess I will be shelling out big cash for a lawyer to file a court order... all for some silly lien. I fantasize now about some massive class action lawsuit against them and they would be like the wicked witch being crushed by Dorothy’s house. I appreciate the reviews I've read on this site.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I recently requested a duplicate copy of my car's title from the state. I was notified that my car had a lien placed on it by Citizens Bank so they could not issue a copy of my title. My car was fully paid off nine years ago, without ever having any problems over the course of my loan!! When I contacted Citizens Bank, I was placed on hold for no less than 50 minutes! When someone finally came on, they advised me that they couldn't tell me why there was a lien, but the only way to satisfy it was to contact a company called mytitlesupport.com. Take it or leave it. NO DISCUSSION POSSIBLE! I then contacted mytitlesupport.com on the phone, and was advised they also had no idea what the lien was for and also could not discuss it. However they could send a satisfaction of lien notice to Citizens Bank for a payment of $30.00!!!

I asked how they could satisfy the lien without knowing what it is for and I was met with total silence. To top it all off, after paying them $30.00 over the phone, they advised the only way to actually get my new title, is that they will send through US Postal Service a document stating the lien has been satisfied, and then I will have to mail this piece of paper to my state government office to finally receive a copy of my title. No electronic transfer possible!! This process will take two to three weeks!!! I have a buyer for my car that needs to register it now!!! This should be illegal!! It is a total money making scam. Why isn't this classified as theft??? Both companies are working together to obtain a payment for paid off loans. I see on this review page that this is very common. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle in 2007. Financed with this bank. The vehicle was paid off in 2012 or 2013, I had a runaround with them trying to get the title. I was sent to Mytitlesupport.com a company they work with to get a title. The vehicle was PAID OFF and I paid to get a title through Mytitlesupport. In 2018 I used the vehicle as collateral for a small loan and my bank told me I didn’t have a clear title. I called the ** number and had an unbelievable runaround again. The lady I spoke with found my account and it showed that they had not released the lien after 5 or more years of the vehicle being paid off.

I was then told to call back in a week to make sure she had done her job and had the lien released. I call back. The first person finds my account via my SSN, I’m put on hold for the vehicle finance division, when the man answers he says he has no record with that social. After one person finds it suddenly he can’t. I was furious with the incompetence of this company and them sending me to their title company to pay again and again for their lack of ethics. Worst experience with any company I have ever had.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Completely incompetent. It has been over a month since I have purchased my vehicle. I have yet to receive anything from them to register my new truck. They sent the wrong document to the DMV. Who does that? They won't talk to you on the phone unless you are the account holder. I'm just trying to register my vehicle and I can't. I've never heard of anything like this. Complete joke. Pull it together.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I paid off my car and told literally 4 different people my new address to send the title. A month went by and of course the title was sent to the address I had 6 years prior. Because Citizens One screwed up they claimed they would send me a duplicate title. I called back 2 months later and they said they can't send me a duplicate title and I would have to get on my own. I called a third time for the lien release and never received that. 4 calls including speaking to a supervisor and 4 months later I have not received a lien release and now will have to pay for a duplicate title for their incompetence. Very aggravated.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Truly an incompetent agency. I needed something as simple as a copy of the title on lien through them. Not asking for the title itself, just simple proof of the lien for the DMV. They said it was against bank policy and directed me to a third party that was equally incompetent and repeatedly directed me back and forth between them and the bank. So because of a moronic policy, I am unable to get to the DMV to register my vehicle. I am immediately refinancing to USAA to avoid ever having to deal with Citizens again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My parents are both disabled. They fell into hard times. My mom had a major stroke with a terrible brain injury along with it. She was skipping bills. So I took over last month. I intercepted the mail and received a loan statement that was high but not anything near horrid. I paid $500 towards it. Citizens cashed the check. Yesterday my parents’ car was repossessed. So thank you Citizens One. You're a great company. No warning. Nothing. I called the bank today. Terrible customer service. Stone cold service. I'm going to have them refinance their car. This is ridiculous. No need for stupidity.

Now the tow yard the truck is in has the "right" to ship the car to any place the bank wants. I'm in MA. They said as far as PA!!! What?!?! I'm so upset. I'm their Caretaker and I'm disabled on top of it due to a major car accident back in 2005. I do my best. But this company didn't and or wouldn't help at all. Sneaky shysters. Watch out. This is a warning to you reviewers!! I hope this message finds everyone well. And please don't be as naive as my parents were. Listen to all of these negative remarks. I doubt we’re all stretching the truth. RUN!!

Citizens Auto Finance Company Information