Compare Auto Loan Rates

Compare Auto Loan Rates

Apply Today and Save - Lower Your Rates

Compare Rates

211 Capital One Auto Financing Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

After reading all the negative complaints, it seems like there is one underlying theme....either poor credit or not paying the loan on time. Everyone faced adversity from time to time, but if you don't communicate that early, they just can't help you. I refinanced through them and got a much lower rate and actually just paid my car off... early! There are several ways to pay a car loan, but if you're trying to pay it with a credit card, that's a bad idea all around. I had it drafted out of my bank account and have never had any issues with them. If I ever buy another car, I plan to use them to finance that loan.

Original review: April 6, 2019

The majority of the complaints here are just rubbish besides the ones that paid off their loans and had to wait for the titles. I refinanced with them at received a much better rate that saves me $164 per month, I have cards with them also never had an issue. My refinance transaction went smooth and was set in stone within a couple of days maybe because I was already a customer. As far paying your loan with a credit card well yes you can. I do it every month. You must download the Capital One app on your device and when you go to make a payment there's an option to have it drafted from your bank account OR be redirected to the CheckFree website.

On the CheckFree website you can make a payment but there's a $3.50 fee and the payment posts that day or the next business day. You can also add your Capital One loan account to your bank account online and send a payment that way. As far as hardships I had one so didn't pay for 3 months then paid it off, they have a second chance program per se. Since then I've been able to get another Capital One cc and pre qualified for another auto loan with the option of keeping or trading in my current vehicle even though I already have a loan with them. Despite all of this I still can't get a CLI on my first card but I'm not complaining. People need to stop leaving unnecessary reviews.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been with Capital One for years and never had any kind of issue with anything. I recently bought a Car but had to go with Wells Fargo because that's the Institution they used. Well, Wells Fargo charged me way high Interest because of an old collection from DirecTV which was actually a cancellation Fee I refused to pay because they kept overcharging me for monthly payments. Anyway, as soon as I got my first statement from Wells Fargo I called Capital One to refinance and they have been amazing. They were fast did everything for me. Cut my interest rate in half and my monthly payments are down. Thanks, Capital One. As always you are a lifesaver.

Original review: July 26, 2018

About four years ago I applied for a loan through a Dealership to finance a 2014 Hyundai Tucson. I had no prior knowledge of Capital One auto finance but was pleased with their generous interest rate with me having credit score 680. A couple years later my daughter was accepted into the top nursing school in the country at just age 19. We were thrilled but knew that we would be facing substantial expenses for her education. The books and uniforms alone were $3000.00 We managed well for a while but fell behind at certain times. I responded to a call from Capital One finance department with fear of facing aggressive language demanding immediate payment. Instead, as I outlined my reasons for the financial strain, what I was met with was compassion and understanding.

The agent listened to my reasons and was very supportive. He said, "Capital One is committed to our customers and we are going to lower your interest rate so that you have more money to put towards your child’s education." I was left breathless, I could not believe it, but that is exactly what this amazing company did. My daughter graduated on May 1, 2018 summā cum laude and passed her state board registered nursing exam on July 6, 2018 all thanks to Capital One who did indeed finance her education. Thank you Capital One!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am not one to trust big corporate companies. I feel they are out to milk you and such. I have called other companies (which I will not mention here), and the poor service and rudeness is just appalling. Capital One has helped me and my family through my darkest days financially. Never had a problem with my credit card, nor my auto loan which they gave me a chance when everyone else closed their doors on me because of my credit score. Thanks to Capital One my credit repair has been a successful journey for me and my family. Everyone has their individual experience, I respect that, and do empathize with all sad situations. Perhaps I was an exception or just plain luck, but I appreciate them especially the beautiful flowers they sent me when I changed my address. That was CS at its best???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Auto Financing?

Original review: July 15, 2019

Moved into a new state. DMV needs the title from Capital One in order to register the car. I have been calling customer care for last three weeks. Still haven't got the title. Utterly frustrated. They keep lying.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have never had a bad experience until recently. We have never missed a payment, and have never been late. I was diagnosed with Cancer in Feb., and had to have half a lung removed in May! This has caused us to have many bills piled up and or late! We do not like to be late or behind on anything and we never have been before. So we put in a call to request an extension and to my disbelief we were refused! I am so very disappointed in Capital One. They do not care or have one drop of sympathy for people having a hardship due to cancer! It is a shame, I can't believe the cold-heartedness of these people! SHAME ON YOU CAPITAL ONE, I PRAY NONE OF YOUR FAMILY EVER NEEDS HELP AND GETS REFUSED!

Original review: June 4, 2019

I was pre approved for a car loan and decided to take it to my dealership where I work. It was simple and quick. I have been making above my payments as well and paying extra on my principal to pay my loan off early. I haven’t had any issues with Capital One at all. I have 2 credit cards with them and I’m building my credit pretty quickly. It sucks for the bad reviews Capital One is getting but I’m giving a 5 as to they are doing wonderful in my eyes! You will have my business for life!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Paid off the car loan, got a paper saying my title would be mailed to me within a few days. Waited, and waited. Finally I called and they said it had been mailed. It a month ago. It is not mailed registered receipt requested, just regular mail. They have no record of ever sending it to me. Then they sent me a "Lien Release" which they told me I can take to my DMV and get a replacement title. For $60. Beyond pissed that after paying my loan Capital One basically screwed me again, and all they can say "whatever". Never again will I deal with Capital One. They got my money, paid in full, so why should they care? They should reimbursement me $60 for their incomptence.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I received a letter in the mail from Capital One with an offer to use Auto Navigator to see if we could pre-qualify for an auto loan. The first point in the letter said, "Pre-qualify with no impact to your credit score." On that basis I followed all the steps to see if we pre-qualified and we did. After discussing it with my husband, we decided not to move forward with a car purchase at this time. A short time later, our credit score dropped 3 points as a direct result of using Auto Navigator.

I contacted Capital One about this and their only solution is for us to get hard copies of our credit report from all three credit agencies that show the drop in our credit report as a result of Auto Navigator and send them (through the mail) to Capital One along with a credit dispute. I don't have time to jump through all these hoops. If financial institutions misrepresent the facts in their written material, how can they expect to be trusted? It makes one wonder, what other facts are they misrepresenting? I advise caution in dealing with this company. Just because they say something does not mean that it is true. Buyer beware!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Capital One finance NOT recommended! Bought a car with Capital One Finance, 1 year later my car was totaled, Gap Ins paid all but 164.00. Never late on any payments! Worked with the Gap ins but I was responsible for the 164.00. I paid the 164.00 in full, 3 days later, Capital One Auto Finance reported my account as a Charge off/Collection! When I called and asked for a review as the account was paid in full and reported 3 days after payment of 164.00 (not thousands) to the credit agencies and wanted the credit report status to be changed as this report is hurting my score, Capital One refused!! 24,000 dollar car, never missed or late with a payment, paid the only small balance of 164.00 and now Capital One is hurting my credit score and they refuse to change it!

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have two credit cards with Capital One and that is how I came to refinance my vehicle. After being approved for auto refinance, they tell me they need my title so after a phone call with my current lien holder, the lady tells me to order my title and to upload the receipt for it before my application expires so that they at least can see that I am trying to get it. She said it usually takes a couple months but if I show the receipt then when my application expires, it won't affect my application. Of course when I call back now I have to reapply to get the same rate or a different one.

Why did the lady tell me that they have customers do this all the time if obviously this was a problem. Now I am still stuck paying my current lien holder because I was misinformed, but do I get anything for that? Absolutely not. I took their suggestion to apply since I have two credit cards with them and have been satisfied with those thus far. Now I'm left just majorly annoyed and nothing I can do about it.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I got my car loan in 2017 July to be exact. I made my first payment in September thinking I had a 60 day grace period before first payment due. I made continuous payments for the first 11 months then I was late on a payment. I called, explained it would be late, received, "Don't worry. You're in good standings." I paid the payment the following month. Later on down the line I continue to make payments then come November 2018 I call and they tell me I'm 3 payments late. I'm like, "Huh?" So then I double my payments.

When I think I'm all caught up they tell me, "You're still 3 payments behind." I continue to reach out to see how come – to find out it started with my first payment being due 30 days after getting the car. I have them defer the payments to extend my loan then when I go to buy a new car I find 6 late payments in a row. I dispute it with credit agencies then reach out to them. They report the information is accurate. I then ask for proof. They send me the proof. I ask, "If all this was going on why am I the last to be informed when I call at least once a week to check on my account?" They say, "All that's your problem. We can't assist nor assume you didn't know. Nothing more we can do for you."

I take some of the blame but then I ask why did I get locked out of my mobile app or why did it take 10 months to find the problem. There's no response. I filed numerous complaints with the CFPB and got the same declined message. My last response from the company from Capital One was pure lies. I changed account numbers, called and informed them, also made a principal payment and told them they could also take out my original payment on the next due date which was 7 days later. Instead of them updating the new account number they attempted to get from the closed account. My question why would they do that when I called and gave them the new account number.

They also lied and told CFPB I never had a mobile app from them but if I wait 5 days it'll be reset. Long story short all my attempts to get them to work with me failed and their bottom line was, "We don't care who you contact. Our decision is final. You've reached the end of the line." Sad for me. I still have 4 more years of having to deal with them.

Original review: May 2, 2019

After have auto loan out for 1 year and six months I called to pay a large sum of money towards balance to pay off car early. Capital One will take large sum payment but balance will be the same as if you have loan out the whole term of agreement. Meaning you will be charge the whole interest amount no matter if you pay off loan early. Second if vehicle is damaged or broken you will still have to make payments. Capital One will not work with at all. They will not roll over loan into new loan but set you up for a new loan plus you still will be left with old loan.

Third they will not release title to get vehicle junked so you will have to store vehicle in place where you will not get tickets and have it towed if you move until loan is paid off. Don't finance a vehicle with them. You are better off with a no man company. I used them because they was well known and I thought would be better, but they care nothing about their customers and after three years of on time payments I was not given one option, and they had the nerves to offer me a new loan on top of my old loan. Stop. Do not use Capital One Auto Finance.

Original review: April 10, 2019

The "Office of the President" was where I was transferred for the third time. They were completely unable to verify that my recurring payments were cancelled. They refused to send me a confirmation in writing that the recurring payments were cancelled. I was supposed to received an email stating that the recurring payments have been cancelled. What should have taken 5 minutes ended up taking 30 minutes and still no verification if my recurring payment has been cancelled or not. I find it hard to believe that no email correspondence in regard to cancelling the recurring payment could not be generated. Completely unprofessional. Never working with them again.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I sent them 17,398.15 through a ACH from my boss's bank showed it cleared. Sent proof to them it cleared. Talked to countless people all the way to the "Office of the president" If there even is such a thing. And no one can account for this money. How does a multi million dollar company not see or know when 17,398.15 hits their account. I was overcharged for this car and that's my fault but I go to pay it off to avoid their stupid highway robbery interest and guess what??? They can't find my money. Crooks... Legal crooks... Get away with it. I will never do business with them again. I would stay far away. Run.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Purchased a car and could not get Capital One to send the loan information to us. When we finally got it and I sent the payment in they said we were two months behind. I called and the gentlemen said he would move those two payments to the end of the loan so it will not cause a negative effect to our credit. Once the agreement was made Capital One would not honor it. I would not recommend that anyone get a car loan through them. The customer service is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I apply after my bankruptcy discharge but they denied me. It’s frustrating. How are you supposed to rebuild your credit if they deny you. What am I supposed to do? I’m not asking for much. Just a simple plan.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I was "pre-approved", signed the online contract, provided proof of income, advised that all was verified and that in 7-10 day my loan would be paid off with my current finance company. That didn't happen. Then I received a voicemail to call them. I did, I got recording saying I was approved and welcome to Capital One etc. etc. etc. Still not paid off my current loan. It has been since January 24th of contacting Capital One and being advised I'm all good and then nothing happens. Now, this morning I log onto their "site" for updates which never updates anything and it says my application has expired. WTH? I have Credit Cards with Capital One and am in good standing, not sure if the Auto Refinance is legit or not at this point and will just stay with my current lender even though the interest rate is a bit higher than what Capital One was going to give me. Seems a bit too sketchy at this point to pursue further.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had an auto loan through Capital One from 2011-2017. I paid my loan for 6 yrs on time and in good standing. I found out that Capital One didn't report any of my payments to the three credit reporting agencies because they (Capital One) wasn't reporting my payments accurately so the file was deleted by Capital One altogether. When asked can my history be reinserted I was told no. So therefore, I got to take a loss for Capital One not doing their job. But you can bet if I was missing payments during those yrs I would have a credit history. This company doesn't care about its customers!!! NEVER got to worry about my business again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I paid my auto off using a credit card and they claim they were to send my title to the bank. The bank said they did not say that nor have they received the title because it was not an auto loan. The Capital One Resolution people are say the Lien Release is in the mail. Auto was paid off 12/21/2018. They finally after two months sent a Lien Release dated for 01/31/2019. I made a request to have the Lien released so I could get money back on extra insurance Capital One Auto Financial made me paid; $850.00. I called and they lied. Someone named Justin ** signed as Authorized Agent for Capital One Auto Finance Titles Department.

Capital One Customer Advocacy Team are liars and rude. Lexi hung up on me when I said no wonder Capital One Auto Finance has less than two stars with 193 reviews. I would run and keep running. They will approve you for refinancing but Capital One Auto Finance but they didn't refinance the cars they have financed. I am going to the State Attorney General office and file a complaint against them. Now I have to pay for a title, I lose money on the extra insurance, and my regular insurance company said I would paid a hundred and thirty nine dollars less if I would have had the lien removed before 01/24/2019. A whole month.

The lairs didn't have the right to keep a lien on the car for over two months as well as after 3 request. And if something happened to the auto ever with it paid off, the insurance money will go to Capital One Auto Finance because of the Lien still being attached to title. I have two credit cards I paid off too. I will never use them. They were paid on time and 4 times or more than the monthly payment and the interest rate was raised several times to almost 28%; on time payments, 725 score on credit reports. Run, keep running, and run far. Don't buy a car from a dealership who uses Capital One Auto Finance. They must be getting a kickback.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I refinanced my car with Capital One. They offered lower interest rate. I set up automatic payments with them. I noticed that they did not debit my account as scheduled. Had to send in a payment. They assured me that they would debit my account as scheduled. They failed and charged me late fees. I stopped auto pay and set up payment through my checking account. For some reason they came in the middle of the night and took my car. I had no notices sent to me. No phone calls. And I was not behind in payments. I was forced to pay $200.00 to get my car back. No refund, no apologies. Stay away from this horrible company,

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have only had a positive experience with them. They have worked with me. In the last year, I’ve had financial difficulties and death with immediate family. They have always been kind and understanding. They have worked with me.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got behind in my car payments because my disabled son has cancer. I told Capital One I would get caught up when I got my tax refund. The representative was very rude to me, said to take my personal belonging out of the car and didn't want to work with me at all. Today I received my tax return so I called to pay the overdue amount. They were closed! There was no way to pay automated. Long story short they come got my car tonight. Funny how they couldn't take a payment but could come get my car! I would not recommend this company!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I don’t know why there are so many negative reviews about Capital One Auto. I’ve had a great experience with them. I pay on time, or early, and I pay a little extra too. And contrary to what others have said, YOU CAN USE A DEBIT CARD!!! That’s how I’ve been doing it for the 2.5 years I’ve had my loan with them. So, like any lender, you have a contractual agreement with them. If you live up to your end of the bargain and pay like you’re supposed to, you won’t have anything to worry about.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I've only been with Capital One auto finance for a year and it has been a living hell. They DO NOT offer the ability to pay your bill using a debit card. I just opened up a new checking account and have not received all of my info yet. I wanted to pay with my old prepaid card in the meantime and Capital One will only take a checking account payment. Are you serious??? It's 2018. For a company this damn old and this damn huge, there is no excuse for this kind of crap. I just fought with their IOS app, the mobile site, AND the desktop website for the last 45 minutes and STILL I could not find a way to make a payment. I tried calling but there's a 15+ minute wait.

They used to have the option to call and pay by phone with a rep which is what I used to do, then that went away with the option to pay by credit card online for a fee (which is BS! No one should have to pay money to pay their bill). That lasted for 2 months. Now it's check only AGAIN. I cannot stand these people. I don't understand why a company would make it so damn difficult to pay their bill. One more year and I'm refinancing my car with another company and Capital One can go to hell. AND I need to put a stop to all their credit card mailers also. If this is how you treat customers, I don't want anything you have to offer. EVER.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

False reporting on credit report. DO NOT TAKE A LOAN FROM THIS COMPANY Capital One Auto Financing. PLEASE PUT IN A COMPLAINT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU if you had a bad experience with them. They will mess up and destroy your credit. No matter how you pay. Please share this information with others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Stay away from this horrible bank. They keep sending me letters that I am approved from up $35000.00 and I can't be pre qualified to refinance my current car from this bank. Outrageous!!! It makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I purchased used 2014 Frontier for $24K on a 6 yr note, finance with Capital One for 2nd time. 3 yrs paid and $15K still owed on principle. Interest paid up front like mortgage. I am disgusted. I want to trade but I have no equity, even with low mileage. No recourse I hear from all. CRAP!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Have had my car with Capital One for almost 3 yrs. Have never been late. Recently have been experiencing some financial hardships and money is super tight in which is keeping me from making my car payment this month. Everyone I'm around talk about their finance company offers the option to defer a payment when unable to make it. So I decide to look into this option with ole Capital One, mind you I had already read the comments on this forum prior but still tried my luck. So I'm here with same sad experience. No bueno. They gave me this cockamamie mess about the system didn't approve me for the option of what they call an "extension". Me knowing how this customer service mess goes because I work as a customer service representative and tell people the same bs already know how the game goes.

So I ask, "Is it not humans who operate the system and can override the system?" And of course because they are all trained robots reading a script didn't have much to come back with after I said that. Then had nerve to say, "There are other options, you can choose to change your due date or make a partial payment," so I was like surely if I could make a partial payment I could struggle to just make full payment, so that's out. So I ask what do I need to do to change due date, why did this trained puppet tell me I would have to make a payment. I was so baffled I just started laughing, really lady so we are back to the issue I had... Making a payment that I've told you in the beginning, and middle of this unsuccessful call I didn't have.

I told the trained puppet, “Ma'am those are not options. Those are traps.” All Capital One cares about is getting paid and they can't even tell you the reason why they can't grant the extension other than the system didn't find you a candidate. The same system designed by humans right. Smh. So I was like, “Well I'll call back later to see if the system will grant me this request since you humans are ran by the system.” So I did and you already know the system still sucks, but that's OK I will never ever finance another vehicle with Capital One and when my financial situation gets better I will be looking into transferring my credit card balance I have with them with my credit union... Maybe one day enough people complain about the way they handle loyal customers they will get the picture and change their jacked up system.

Capital One Auto Financing expert review by Lauren Fix

Capital One Bank is a well-known financial institution that provides auto loans and financing for new and used cars. The company was founded in Richmond, VA in 1988.

• Low rates: Capital One can provide low rates for consumers with a good credit history. Get pre-qualified and know how much to spend.

• Low payments: The company can also negotiate low payments with Capital One Auto Finance specialists to help you lower your payments.

• Auto loan calculator: They provide an auto-loan calculator that allows borrowers to estimate monthly car payments for the total amount they need to finance. They also offer an auto learning center to learn about financing, loan extension and more.

• Wide network: They have a network of over 12,000 eligible dealers, in order to offer customers plenty of inventory and brand options.

• Variety of loan options: The company provides a huge range of auto loan options, whether buyers are purchasing used or new automobiles.

• Best for: Customers with good credit ratings who want the best deal on auto loans.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Capital One Auto Financing Company Information