1.58/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

187 Capital One Auto Financing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Stay away from this horrible bank. They keep sending me letters that I am approved from up $35000.00 and I can't be pre qualified to refinance my current car from this bank. Outrageous!!! It makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I purchased used 2014 Frontier for $24K on a 6 yr note, finance with Capital One for 2nd time. 3 yrs paid and $15K still owed on principle. Interest paid up front like mortgage. I am disgusted. I want to trade but I have no equity, even with low mileage. No recourse I hear from all. CRAP!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Have had my car with Capital One for almost 3 yrs. Have never been late. Recently have been experiencing some financial hardships and money is super tight in which is keeping me from making my car payment this month. Everyone I'm around talk about their finance company offers the option to defer a payment when unable to make it. So I decide to look into this option with ole Capital One, mind you I had already read the comments on this forum prior but still tried my luck. So I'm here with same sad experience. No bueno. They gave me this cockamamie mess about the system didn't approve me for the option of what they call an "extension". Me knowing how this customer service mess goes because I work as a customer service representative and tell people the same bs already know how the game goes.

So I ask, "Is it not humans who operate the system and can override the system?" And of course because they are all trained robots reading a script didn't have much to come back with after I said that. Then had nerve to say, "There are other options, you can choose to change your due date or make a partial payment," so I was like surely if I could make a partial payment I could struggle to just make full payment, so that's out. So I ask what do I need to do to change due date, why did this trained puppet tell me I would have to make a payment. I was so baffled I just started laughing, really lady so we are back to the issue I had... Making a payment that I've told you in the beginning, and middle of this unsuccessful call I didn't have.

I told the trained puppet, “Ma'am those are not options. Those are traps.” All Capital One cares about is getting paid and they can't even tell you the reason why they can't grant the extension other than the system didn't find you a candidate. The same system designed by humans right. Smh. So I was like, “Well I'll call back later to see if the system will grant me this request since you humans are ran by the system.” So I did and you already know the system still sucks, but that's OK I will never ever finance another vehicle with Capital One and when my financial situation gets better I will be looking into transferring my credit card balance I have with them with my credit union... Maybe one day enough people complain about the way they handle loyal customers they will get the picture and change their jacked up system.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Purchasing my car at the dealership was made easy by Honda, as well as setting up the financing, due to the knowledge and talent of my Honda financial specialist. However, beyond that, Capital One makes it extremely difficult to make payments. That’s right, they make it difficult for you TO GIVE THEM YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY. I have had difficulty with submitting payments due to their online service and app not allowing you to use your debit/credit card for one time or auto payments. They need your checking account routing number, which I understand and willingly gave up. Then suddenly, my payments started being sent back with them saying it is incorrect info.

I entered the info directly from a check multiple times. It takes them 5 business days to inform you it didn’t go through. By then, they slap a late fee on top. I’ve called customer service multiple times, the best they can do is complete a same-day one time payment using my debit card. Zero help from customer service regarding setting up auto pay. Their response is “Talk to your bank”. It is not worth it when there are so many other, better options!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The price of vehicles they show is about half what the dealerships actually have the cars listed at. In my case, a 2018 Dodge Journey showed $16,172. I went to the dealership & the exact same car (VIN #'s matched), was $29,000. Salesman actually said I didn't read all the fine print in the offer letter. $12,282.00 in destination fees? Really? SHAME ON YOU. Complete hogwash! I did go directly across the street & financed with my credit union. Better APR & no lies about pricing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Auto Financing?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been with Capital One for years and never had any kind of issue with anything. I recently bought a Car but had to go with Wells Fargo because that's the Institution they used. Well, Wells Fargo charged me way high Interest because of an old collection from DirecTV which was actually a cancellation Fee I refused to pay because they kept overcharging me for monthly payments. Anyway, as soon as I got my first statement from Wells Fargo I called Capital One to refinance and they have been amazing. They were fast did everything for me. Cut my interest rate in half and my monthly payments are down. Thanks, Capital One. As always you are a lifesaver.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I am looking for a used car to buy. I get regular credit score updates from Nerd Wallet and they offer a list of the best places to get pre-qualified for an auto loan. LightStream is number 1 on their list, but I wanted to check and see what the others were offering since LightStream wasn't that much better than what the dealer is offering me. I wanted to see what Capital One would offer and I attempted twice to fill out the online form. The screen would lock up repeatedly and it was making me nervous since my SS # and other personal information was already filled in.

I gave up and called Customer Service and of course the first thing she tells me is that I can only do the pre-application online and that the issues I am having are probably due to my browser. Never mind that the screen is locked up and I can't do anything at all. Nothing! Funny thing, I hear that excuse every time a poorly maintained website is not working, it's always my browser's fault. My browser must like Amazon a lot because it works flawlessly there, and also when I pay my bills online, order books and do a multitude of other things. I think that any company that doesn't maintain their website should be avoided.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

All my experiences with Capital One Auto Finance customer service has been disappointing. Time and time again, Capital One does not embrace helping others in the time of a hardship. They only have an option to collect their money and not look into many options the customer has available. It just seems like you are talking to a robot versus a human with compassion to assist others.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been a Cap One customer for over 35 years in a variety of loans. I have a Cap One car loan at this time. Payments are on time. I need to trade up to a larger vehicle due to the amount I drive. I have applied to Cap One and they declined to finance me. I called customer service to inquire and they said, "You have to apply for the loan thru standard channels - directly on their site or through a car dealership". No success either source. If I am a current loan holder and current with payments - what is the deal? Car financiers know... car payments and rent or mortgage are first to pay, why decline an account holder in good standing?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Incredibly, heartbreaking poor service. I've used this company for years, for both savings accounts, credit cards, and auto loans. I just paid off my first car that I've worked so hard for, and have been waiting for weeks for the title to appear in the mail. I called customer service to check on the status, only to be told that they "just send it in the regular mail, it's not important enough for a tracking number", and "it should've been delivered a month ago". They could care less about customers and the importance of their well being. They have NO problem reaching you, or making sure that you receive your bill every month on time... but the TITLE TO MY CAR, that they could care less about. They got their last dime and that is all that matters. Needless to say I am closing EVERY account, and will NEVER support their scheme again...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

In an attempt to pay off my auto loan with Capital One, Capital One informed me (On a recorded line and by mail) that my loan was paid off so title was transferred. It turns out that the payoff check was fraudulent so the funds were returned by Capital One and Capital One did nothing to notify me that the payment was returned - they didn't call, text, email or send a letter. I had no clue about the issue until I got a call by them for a delinquent payment on a loan I thought I had paid off. Now I have no vehicle and a $30,000 auto loan. Capital One's response is that they had no obligation to notify me because the fraud happened at a different bank. They have completely washed their hands of this matter. Very disappointing coming from a bank that prides itself on customer service and making the customer the priority.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I’ve had my vehicle since 2012. Have paid over $8000 in interest with ONLY 5 payments left and a balance little over $1500. They pick up my vehicle with no truly helpful attempt to help me get it back. So I ask you... Does repo’ing my car show appreciation for being a loyal customer? #CapitalOneNOLOVE

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am puzzled how there is no way to contact Capital One Auto Finance through email UNLESS you are trying to apply for the initial loan through them... in which case you can use comment@capitalone.com. Otherwise, you have to call the 1-800-946-0332 number and of course today a person that speaks in a low and barely audible tone will tell you the system is down for software updates (MIDDLE OF A WORK DAY at that) and to try back in one or two hours... every one or two hours the same message. But again system up and running to submit an application with their outrageous set in stone fixed APR. You never can speak with a person or get the quality interaction they are paid to provided to a consumer period. Knowing is power so I know never again will I go through them for a car loan because I need to be able to converse with actual people... and ones who can guide me to answers I seek at that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I've always made my payments online but in May 2018 I was locked out of my account (I was behind on payments) and the system asked for my account number in order to reset the password which I did not have. All communication from them only list the last 4 digits of the account number. I emailed asking for the account number and they replied I must call. I responded I've been off work on disability since March due to a lung infection which makes it difficult to speak. They still refused to send it, I finally called in June to make payment and the person kept asking me to repeat myself because she couldn't understand me.

I forgot to ask for the account number and they didn't offer. I didn't make a payment in July but tried to make 2 payments in August and again they refused to accommodate my disability by not sending the account number and forcing me to call. And again the guy kept asking me to repeat myself because he couldn't understand me. This is a violation of the ADA act 1990- The ADA defines an "individual with a disability" as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I went through the "pre approval" process when I got to the dealership. Capital One wanted 5k down and a APR of 15%. The very next lender I went to single digit APR and no money down. Are the dealerships get a kickback from getting people to sign these egregious terms? Makes one wonder, I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Do not trust this company. Predatory lender. Throughout a 6 year loan I disputed the amount owed several times and repeatedly requested a payment history from them - never received one. Finally made it to the end of the loan. $2,000 to pay. They asked if I wanted to pay off less to settle the acct. I said, “No of course not, I will pay the full $2,000”... and did in 3 payments. Sure enough - I just saw this on my credit report that it was charged off and $1,200 is owed. I called Capital One and the young lady said she could put in a dispute but she couldn't promise Cap One would change it. I asked to speak to a supervisor and waited for 20 min before I just gave up. I would love to be part of a class action suit against these folks.

Original review: July 26, 2018

About four years ago I applied for a loan through a Dealership to finance a 2014 Hyundai Tucson. I had no prior knowledge of Capital One auto finance but was pleased with their generous interest rate with me having credit score 680. A couple years later my daughter was accepted into the top nursing school in the country at just age 19. We were thrilled but knew that we would be facing substantial expenses for her education. The books and uniforms alone were $3000.00 We managed well for a while but fell behind at certain times. I responded to a call from Capital One finance department with fear of facing aggressive language demanding immediate payment. Instead, as I outlined my reasons for the financial strain, what I was met with was compassion and understanding.

The agent listened to my reasons and was very supportive. He said, "Capital One is committed to our customers and we are going to lower your interest rate so that you have more money to put towards your child’s education." I was left breathless, I could not believe it, but that is exactly what this amazing company did. My daughter graduated on May 1, 2018 summā cum laude and passed her state board registered nursing exam on July 6, 2018 all thanks to Capital One who did indeed finance her education. Thank you Capital One!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am not one to trust big corporate companies. I feel they are out to milk you and such. I have called other companies (which I will not mention here), and the poor service and rudeness is just appalling. Capital One has helped me and my family through my darkest days financially. Never had a problem with my credit card, nor my auto loan which they gave me a chance when everyone else closed their doors on me because of my credit score. Thanks to Capital One my credit repair has been a successful journey for me and my family. Everyone has their individual experience, I respect that, and do empathize with all sad situations. Perhaps I was an exception or just plain luck, but I appreciate them especially the beautiful flowers they sent me when I changed my address. That was CS at its best???

Original review: July 11, 2018

I had a major car accident in May 2018 and my car was a total loss. So I was shopping for cars online while the insurance and gap was settling on my car. I came along Capital One Auto Financing. So I called them they made it sound so easy. So I got pre-qualified. I knew was not going to purchase another new car because I realized on this wreck how much cars depreciate once you drive off the lot. But on the navigator I learned the later model car and lower the mile better rate you get.

So once my other car got paid off I went shopping and I come across a great deal at Southwest KIA in RR and the process was so simple. I gave them my DL and insurance. They ran my credit and they naturally want to put me with other lenders. I asked them would they run my credit again they said yes. I said NO. "Are my payments what we agreed on this 2018 KIA Forte of 3300 miles?" They said yes. "I will take it." I went back to the finance guy signed the papers. They cleaned up the car filled it with gas and I drove away. A very happy customer.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I went for Capital One Auto because Credit karma recommended it. Very bad advice! This company has poor customer service. I had to call them about twenty times to resolve an issue about payment not posted correctly. The wait was very long. The reps were very incompetent, trotting out lies to cover up their incompetence. I talked to the so-called President office resolution specialists. They offered me fake apologies and refused to make up for their poor customer service. I wasted about five hours in phone calls and made about 20 calls.

Some of the reps in the so called President office like Lorraine and Viejo and another liar, Pasha, were plain condescending and treated me as a nuisance. They refused to connect me to the President so that I can bring the issues to his attention. All in all, very poor customer service and I advise potential customers to avoid this company. They have no respect and consideration for customers. The employees only care about their paychecks- they are shameless mercenaries. I regret taking a car loan there. I want to pay up and be done with them as soon as possible. Shame on Credit Karma for misleading customers.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I filled out extension paperwork and faxed it to number on paperwork. It was approved over phone. I then get calls saying my payment is late. I explain extension and they say they did not get paperwork. I resend. Got verbal approval it was received. In my credit report says I’m late for past 6 months. They failed to log my extension again. They are ruining my credit. I will never use them again. Complaints on this extension issue are high in volume.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Rude and inexperience customer service - A lady called Martha, employ id. ** (as per she provide me) she received my call and I asked her about my certified title to fax it to the NY. At the first she said NY MVD cannot accept the fax but the thing is I have been to MVD a day before and they told me to fax my documents to the fax no. After my few questions she told me it's already fax. When I asked for the confirmation numbers she said she don't have it, after big b-a-n-g sounds the phone is hanged off.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I would like to begin this 'review', by thanking Capital One. Back in September of 2017, I was in a bit of a difficult situation. I had lost my wonderful mother a few months prior, and well, life was difficult. (I still miss her greatly) I was all alone and without my safety net; that is difficult to acknowledge, as I am now 39 years old. I had let my credit take a dive, over the past few years -- I didn't need it - I had Mom. That was all gone, and Capital One was there for me. I opened a secured credit card with them in I believe, June of 2017. I purchased my Mom's vehicle in September of 2016, and I was fixing something on it, every single month. Every single month!

Fast forward to September of 2017, and my alternator was shot. I could spend another $500 on this dang car, or try and trade it in, and get something more reliable. I did my due diligence and found that Capital One offered pre-qualified loans, without a hard pull on my credit. (I had been frantically trying to improve my credit score - still am) To my surprise, I was pre-approved with a credit score under 550. I was fortunate enough to find a reliable vehicle, and could afford the monthly payments. Nobody else would touch me and my credit profile, other than buy here pay here places, and I didn't have the required down payment or the 8 contact information, they required. I am considering a new vehicle, and was just approved for a loan amount of 34k. My credit score is improving, and I owe a lot of that to Capital One.

I've read through several pages of comments on here; and for those that have had hardships in life - I am so very sorry. I'm truly am. Having said that - this is a bank. They have an obligation to not only their shareholders, but also their employees. The person(s) you spoke with on the phone, also has financial obligations and people they are responsible for. That in no way diminishes your troubles, but, perspective is needed. I am in no way affiliated with Capital One; this was my honest opinion, and in no way seeks to diminish the BS, some customers have encountered. They took a chance on me, during my darkest hour - - and for that, I am forever grateful.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I am 65 and disabled and live alone. I purchased a vehicle from Capital One Auto Oct 2016 (1 1/2 years ago). I paid about $7,500 dollars for it. The interest rate was 19.5%. They added a warranty to it $2,500 dollars. They said it was for 2 years. They failed to mention after 2 years and warranty was out I had to still pay for warranty for the next 3 years but had no warranty. I estimated the warranty was going to be about $43 dollars a month for the 3 years with no warranty. I estimated the cost to be about $4,300 dollars for nothing. I purchased this car online and they delivered it. There was no one to go over loan.

After I purchased it I called about refinancing. They informed me they didn’t refinance their loans. This $7,500 car was going to cost about $18,000 dollars. The only way out was to trade it in. They said that would be no problem if current. 1 and a 1/2 years later last week (May 11, 2018) I need to trade my vehicle for medical problems. I need something to get in and out of easily. They turned me down for a loan and over the last 18 months since I purchased the car I was never late or missed a payment. I paid about $8 dollars a month extra each month, I just round off the payment.

After they turned down loan I went to dealer, one of their dealers, to trade it in. Capital One turned that loan down also. This is their original loan but they said I was to upside down for them to trade. My car was worth about $3,500 to &4,000 dollars. My payoff was $9,300 dollars. I was shocked when I found all this out. How can you be upside down over $5,000 dollars in 18 months. I had to have a vehicle so I was going to pay $3,000 dollars down to help offset the negative equity. Capital One still would not trade for me. They seen where they were going to make a lot of money and the dealer I purchased it from made the same amount of money. This is about as unfair and unethical as you can be.

If this is not Elderly exploitation and coercion and predator lending I don’t know what is. I had to purchased a vehicle so I had to finance another at a higher interest rate because I owned a car. I am now out $3,000 and I still have my car. Being disabled you only get so much and you have to make it. This will hurt bad. This should be extortion and illegal and there should be some agency to help. The govt now just passes it to someone else. If anyone has a solution please let me know.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Capital One auto navigator is nothing more than a scam between themselves and the less than trustworthy car dealerships that they only allow you to purchase your car from. I live in the Greenville, TX and purchased my car from Baker Nissan in Houston TX (a 4 hour drive) because that was the closest dealer that had the car I wanted. All negotiation was over the phone and to be put in writing and FedEx told me to sign. Josh the finance manager insisted that I get the extended service warranty. Of course that was something I knew needed to have. Therefore, I only had one question. Will I be able to take my car to a Mercedes dealer for service? Josh assured me that I would be able to take my car anywhere and use the service agreement. BIG LIE as when it came time to take my car to be serviced I was told I could only use the service agreement at Baker Nissan in Houston TX (a 4 hour drive).

I called Baker Nissan and was informed that Josh no longer worked there. The new manager Mike expressed how sorry he was and how unfair that was for Josh to “mis-inform me”. Nice word for lie. Mike also promised to look into this and get back with me. He never returned “any” of my call nor after calling for almost 1 week neither did the manager of Baker Nissan or the owner Mr Baker himself returned any of my calls.

My next move was to call Capital One and let them handle the situation, after all this was a dealer they recommend. I informed them of what had happen and they too were sorry and agreed that it was unfair and would have someone get back with me. I received one call from Brandy to inform me that she was working on the situation. Never heard back from her until me having to leave several messages. When I finally did hear back from her she informed me that I should keep calling Baker Nissan. This all started almost a month ago. As of today after leaving my final message with Baker Nissan receptionist, that I would be driving to Houston to talk to some if no one was going to return my call, that got me a call back from Amanda as well as her manager Memories (who both were helpful has they could possibly be) apologizing that I was mislead (lied to) that they would cancel the warranty agreement. However, that I would not be receiving any money paid into the warranty. Instead it would go to Capital One.

The warranty was right at $700. However, the payout as of today, since it has been almost over a year, is a little over $400. Keep in mind I never used the warranty! Today (right at a month later) I received a call back from Ms Capital One herself wanting to know if I had heard back from Mike with Baker Nissan and had everything been taken care of… Blank stare at the phone while thanking God for growth in the cursing area. I will be refinancing soon & paying off my Capital One card! Capital One gets a BIG FAT 0 from me and Baker Nissan gets less than that!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I'm going to tell you of a great company with great employees and they have great customer service. You never be disappointed in this company and get a new or used car and get a credit card that will help build up your credit score so one day you can buy more than a dream car. And a credit card make sure you keep paying on time. Use your credit card in emergency. And that hat you cannot go home without it. This company gets all of them star from me because it's hard being the BEST.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I am very disappointed with Capital One unethical lending practices. I contacted Capital One Auto finance back in Feb 2018 to give them information on someone who I knew that used fake or Manufactured paystubs in order to obtain a second auto loan on a $10.00 hr salary. I informed the fraud unit that this person provided the dealership with paystubs that stated they make $20.00 hr, When they only make $10.00 hr. Obviously, the dealership nor Capital One verified the salary or this wouldn't have gotten pass. I didn't ask Capital One for any info on this person, as I gave them all of the information, including the person's name, their address, employer, dealership where they went, and the date of the loan. How did I know all of this, because l lend the person the down payment contingent on getting approved. Little did I know, that the person was going to inflate their salary to ensure that they got the loan approval.

Capital One only had to call the employer and verify the salary if they wanted to do something about this, yet they were asking me for proof. WOW, I'm lost! Since when do you need proof to follow up on a tip about fraud. They had nothing to lose by verification of the salary, which is what they should have done in the first place. This has put a very bad taste in my mouth about Capital One. They only care about providing loans, regardless of how unethical it is. What agency can do something about this? They are providing loans based on false information and I thought this was illegal. Can you imagine how many other times they have allowed this, and people have defaulted on the loans! Guess who will end up paying for this in the long run, Consumers like you and myself. This is the same thing that happened with the Housing market bubble burst.

Updated on 06/13/2018: I have written a review on Capital One site as well. As a result, I was contacted by a representative through Email. She informed me that my information was being forwarded to the Office of the President and that someone would call me for more information about my complaint. On May 4, 2018, which was a Friday I missed a call from the office of the President, but received a voicemail from a particular representative asking me to return the call. However, it wasn't until Monday May 7 that I spoke to the representative.

Upon speaking to this representative, she had no idea who I was, what I was calling about nor did she have any information about the review, even though she called me and I was returning her call. Then she asked me to verify my account, although I wasn't even calling about my account. Since I am also a Capital One customer as well, I complied with her request. At that point, she told me that she couldn't give me any information on someone else account, and then blatantly lied to me telling me that she couldn't verify my account either. At that point, I explained to her that I didn't ask her for any information on someone else account and I thought she was calling me for more information about my complaint, as I received a email stating that I would receive such a call.

Then I questioned, how is it she couldn't verify my account when the # that I was calling from is the same # that is connected to my account and the same # that was provided in the email for my contact information. As a result I requested to speak to a manager, which was granted. However, she just tried to clean it up and claim that the representative failure verify my account was a misunderstanding. I was still lost because my account had nothing to do with it at all. That was just me trying to be cooperative. What a mess! Nothing solved and still nothing done about the situation.

I am still at a loss as to how Capitol One verifies some people jobs and income who has a good credit score, but doesn't verify someone job and income who has a low credit score a open car loan and falsify their income. Then ignores it when brought to their attention. Sounds very Unethical, Unfair and Discriminatory to me. They continue to grow their business by practicing such bad behavior. I also don't understand why there is no agency that can step in and stop them from doing this. No one is going to do anything about this until it hits the fan and we are in a auto loan crisis like the one with the Housing market. Everyone will pay more because of high interest rates and then Banks will be denying anyone who has less than perfect credit. SAD!!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Due to recently finding my birth father I legally changed my last name to match his, of course, my wife and children as well. I sent Capital One my new drivers license, my wife's new drivers license, my new Social Security card and that of my wife's, my court order for me (the court would not issue a court order for my wife as she was not changing her birth certificate) as well as the official change of name from North Carolina DMV on the lien record as well as the title name change. I spoke with Capital Ones' dept of titles, to get them to change my name. They agreed to change my last name but would not change my wife's because they did not have a court order. After explaining to them the court would not issue a court order. They stated they would not change her last name despite being in possession of the documents above.

This escalated supposedly as I was told to the last person in the dept. who stated well, after I paid off the vehicle I could do with the title what I wanted. One stated I could get my wife to change her birth certificate, and I told all three at some point common sense had to prevail, Unfortunately it did not. The last individual stated there was no one I could talk to. That he was the last one in his department. I told him, so essentially they were going to be stuck with technically a non-existent person on the title as my wife has already legally changed her name. Really, is this what has happened? That NO COMMON SENSE EXISTS?

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had a car that was paid off and then I had a loan to provide my wife a car to drive and a loan to provide our son with a car to drive. Then I found a vehicle that was exceptional at a dealership and no one I called would allow me to have three car loans. So the dealership told me that they could get the vehicle financed for me through Capital One Auto Finance, so I said OK. Then they came to me and told me that Capital One would be charging me 17.9% interest on the loan.

I had been looking for this Special Edition vehicle for quite some time and I went ahead and said YES. The car I bought cost me $16,000, and then the dealership said that I would get a better interest rate if I bought an extended warranty program from them. I knew better, but on a used car it did not seem like such a bad idea. I paid 472.00 a month for that vehicle for 4 1/2 years. The total I paid them was over $19,900, and they told me I still had a payoff of $12,800. Now I am not brilliant but that adds up to over $32,000 over the term of the note.

I don't care what type of accounting method you use to calculate your payments, NO ONE ON EARTH IS ENTITLED TO 100% interest on a note in the US. I asked them to refinance the balance for me to make it more affordable and they simply told me they don't accept a vehicle over 7 years old as collateral. So I told them to come and get the darn thing and they had the audacity to advise me they would sell it at auction and I would owe them a deficiency balance. YEAH RIGHT!!! It will be cold day you-know-where when they ever get another dime out of me!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I see Capital One Auto Financing on my credit reports 3 times in 2 years. Never played with them so need to do something to fix it. Call them, they do nothing, they just say they don't see me on their system and they ignore you after that. Need a call. That's identity theft on them.

Capital One Auto Financing expert review by Lauren Fix

Capital One Bank is a well-known financial institution that provides auto loans and financing for new and used cars. The company was founded in Richmond, VA in 1988.

• Low rates: Capital One can provide low rates for consumers with a good credit history. Get pre-qualified and know how much to spend.

• Low payments: The company can also negotiate low payments with Capital One Auto Finance specialists to help you lower your payments.

• Auto loan calculator: They provide an auto-loan calculator that allows borrowers to estimate monthly car payments for the total amount they need to finance. They also offer an auto learning center to learn about financing, loan extension and more.

• Wide network: They have a network of over 12,000 eligible dealers, in order to offer customers plenty of inventory and brand options.

• Variety of loan options: The company provides a huge range of auto loan options, whether buyers are purchasing used or new automobiles.

• Best for: Customers with good credit ratings who want the best deal on auto loans.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Capital One Auto Financing Company Information