Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended auto loan provider now

Capital One Auto Financing

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
    Last updated: March 15, 2018

158 Capital One Auto Financing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: March 15, 2018

I see Capital One Auto Financing on my credit reports 3 times in 2 years. Never played with them so need to do something to fix it. Call them, they do nothing, they just say they don't see me on their system and they ignore you after that. Need a call. That's identity theft on them.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I was contact by several people who called and harassed me on a daily basis. They were not aware that I knew consumer laws very well. I ask them to validate their claim of ownership by submitting full disclosure of the contract, true bill in commerce and a sworn statement from the man or woman who have authority to bind Capital One auto finance in the alleged contract. I am still waiting for the proof of claim.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 6, 2018

I would like to share my horrible experience with this company and with their incompetent agents or the so called managers Desiree ** and Meredith **. All things were going well, until I paid off my loan. So when I moved to a different state, I registered my car and since at that time, Capital One was my lien holder, the state mailed my title to them. Then, when I paid off my loan, they lost my title and titled it again in a different state without my knowledge. I never received the physical copy of the title which they lost and the other state where they released my title held it electronically...

When again, I went to my current state to renew the stickers and registration, I was informed my title was held in different state and that they need the physical copy of the previous last year title which they mailed to my then lien holder Capital One. With lot of trouble and not able to drive my car for several days and numerous phone call, Desiree found my lost title which they earlier claimed was mailed to me (straight lying). After this, I had to apply for a certified copy of the title from the state where Capital One titled my car.

When, I received all the documents, my current state had to do the whole process of registration again with issuing new license plate, and I had to pay the whole fee again, since now I had an out of state title. With all this, now when I am asking them to reimburse the amount which I should not be paying again, they are denying any fault at their end and are not ready to reimburse. This company does not care about its consumers, once the loan is paid they care least. Poor management and the staff does not do any research and just waste time in talking over phone. They will call and talk but will not resolve the issue. They are dishonest and show no empathy and concern for their customers.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Hi all. I just wanted to share my Capital One repo experience. Car was behind very behind 4 months and it was my fault, but I was also paying off a judgement Capital One had just placed against me for $2700 and I chose to pay off the judgement and let car loan get behind. I did let Capital One know and I relocated thinking I would have time to catch up. Well they found me quickly in the state I moved to and on 2/14/18 they sent the tow truck. I was at work and my family got all my belongings out the car, and then I had a decision to make. I owed $2538 and payday was on Friday so do I just let them take my car? Or use the money to buy a trap car? File a chapter 7 which I’ve done in the past?

Long story I know but I ended up calling the next day and Doris the rep was awesome. She put the $375 repo fee and the $160 late fees to the end of my loan and they told the buggers at the repo storage facility they could charge no more than $35/day and I really appreciated that they did those things 'cause I would’ve had to pay close to $3000 to get my car back. So I paid them Friday out. Chase account release letter was sent and I got my Hugo back, and I felt just as proud driving from that repo lot as the day I drove my car off the lot. Thank you Capital One and God bless you Doris.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My sister passed away almost 2 months ago. I have been trying to get in contact with someone from Capital One Auto Finance to inform them of the situation, I want to return the car to the finance company since no one in the family needs the car. The only answers that I was given was that I "need to contact the Estate Department" and give them the information. I have called that number several times only to be told that the department is not open yet. How can you not be open at 2:00 pm?? I am promised each time I call that a "supervisor" will call me back. It has been 22 days and I'm still waiting. Do NOT do business with this company!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Auto Financing?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I got a loan for a 2015 Hyundai through Capital One. No problem. Made payments on time. I also have a Capital One credit card with a 5000 dollar limit. Always pay on time on that card that I have had for six years. My other cards are all on time. I make 12000 more dollars last year than I did in 2016. That's 43000 a year. Tried to get another loan and trade in this car for a newer one. This time they denied me. Won't tell me why until I get a letter in 7 to 10 days. Way to go Capital One on keeping good customers. I'll get it done with another company and cut your card in half. You lost a good one not that you seem to care.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My vehicle broke down & didn't have money to buy one outright. My credit score isn't the best due to never owning a credit card. I've always paid cash because I feel if you don't have the money then maybe you shouldn't buy it. So, I needed a car loan. Capital One is horrible. I'm a single mother with 2 kids & my loan is 24.45% interest on a 1999 Ford Escape. I'm paying $18,000 for a truck that isn't even worth $10,000. I have never missed a payment in 3 yrs. My payments are $298/month & I still owe almost $8,000. No one will refinance my truck because the loan is way more than what it's worth. Thanks CAPITAL ONE!!! How do you sleep at night?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I put in online with Capital One, went to Hertz, picked out my car. I have requested my account to be set up numerous time but they have not done so. I receive a letter saying, "Update your address with the credit bureaus." Ok. So I attempt to email them with the address provided on their own form and it comes back a bad email address. They won't speak with you on the phone, won't reply to comments, email, other than call us. What do you gotta do to get your account set up. I work for the county. I have a decent job. What's the issue Capital One.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I have 2 Capital One credit cards and decided to do their auto loan financing. I took the pre-approval to the dealer and walked away with the car about an hour later. It was very simple and at a good interest rate.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

My grandfather put my 2007 Honda Civic in his name. I’m making payments on a vehicle I cannot drive due to an error on the title Utah nor Ohio will tag this car so fix it. I’ve contacted you numerous times and Utah BMV as well as Ohio if I’m making a payment on a vehicle that just sets in my driveway that I cannot drive! BECAUSE OF SOMEBODY'S LACK OF DOING THEIR JOB YOU CAN TAKE THE VEHICLE BACK!!! And speak with my attorney. This is you or the dealer’s mistake. Not mine nor my grandfather. And if this issue does not get resolved in a timely manner not only will I report your business to the Better Business Bureau I’m going to sue this absolutely ridiculous going around in circles. Do your job fix it. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I was looking for a new or lower mileage, newer used car. Capital One just happened to come up in my search (I've had their credit cards for years). Now, keeping in mind what Capital One is about, they service people with "not the greatest credit". So there are a lot of reviews here from people who got in over their head. My experience, the application process was very easy. I was looking for a Ford, which I could have bought new on their employee purchase plan... but Ford credit turned me down. Capital One's interest rates vary by the vehicle, and amount borrowed.

I actually lowered my interest rate quite a bit by paying $300 more down ($2000 vs $1700). I'm right around 7% interest, I had the dealer run their banks, Capital One was still the lowest of 4 lenders. I have a 3 year old Ford van with 17,500 miles on it. Close enough to new, at half the price of new. I say, give them a shot. However, know your limitations, what you can afford and your employment stability. I see a lot of reviews complaining how their car was repossessed when they quit paying. Yep, that's how it works with any bank.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I am very surprised at how low Capital One Auto Finance is rated. I have been with Capital One about 2 years now. I have 3 cards with them and got a Auto loan with a very low interest rate. After filling bankruptcy I was given a chance by Capital One. I have never missed a payment. Never had any problem with customer service. They have outstanding. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

So I bought a 2011 Toyota Camry back in 2012. Payments were for the most part on time but at one point after a job loss we fell behind. Like others who wrote reviews I too kept in contact asking for extensions, in which they take a couple of payments and put them at the end of the loan, but each time I was denied! Well this past August I woke one morning to find my car "missing"... after calling the local PD I found out it was REPOSSESSED! If that's not bad enough it was by a company 60 miles away who ONLY allows you 4 hrs a day window to get down there to claim it!

Anyway, I called Cap One to ask WHY and according to them we were 4 payments behind which I couldn't understand. I must've lost count somewhere (???). After 2 days of going back and forth they finally agreed to take ONLY the back payments and put all fees for repo and late fees at back of loan! (Yea NOW you want to do that! SMH!) So we get the car back on Sept 1st NOT without damage and a broken license plate... only to have it get totalled in an accident on Oct 31st! Guess I should have left it at the repo yard!!! In all honesty it worked out because he got good money from insurance and it paid off loan and got him a new ride out of mommy's name! Below is his new car NOT financed through Cap One!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I wish we could give Zero stars! I bought a car and the dealership chose Capital One as my financer (I wanted Ally). At first they were all sweet and nice. Didn't have a problem until I fell behind due to someone in the fam losing their job. I called and spoke with a representative and asked for one payment to be put at the end of the loan. That request was refused. I asked over and over in the coming months until I was two months behind. Then three. Every time I called and spoke with a representative and they told me that I was not in repo status and to send payment as soon as possible. Again I was refused for a payment to be put at the end of the loan. We fell further into debt, and they refused to help until I was several months past due. The finally agreed to work with me and told me that the only thing they can do is give me a payment plan of 3 months at almost $600 per month.

We scraped the first payment together and paid it. The second payment - I didn't know how I could pay that much as I am on disability. The other member of the family was working again but it wasn't a high paying job. I called them again and asked if the remaining two payments could be spread across 3 months instead of two. I told them we were struggling. They didn't care and told me they cannot change the agreement. I asked them, "Do you do this purposely to repo peoples' cars and make more money?" The rep replied that no, they didn't. But it didn't behoove them to put payments at the end of the loan. I ask why not and never received a straight answer. I told them Ally had no problem with it.

Well a month or so later they repo'd my car. Thankfully we were able to buy a used car from someone so we had transportation. The kicker was - They sold a car with a 13,000 balance for 2,888! There was no reason they couldn't sell it for way more. And now I'm receiving collection letters for the 13,000. I get that they want their money but I don't have any to give them. They are the worst for helping out customers going through rough spots.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Just applied for a auto loan. Received a pre-qualification letter. Sent it to the dealer. In the meantime sent pay stubs to Capital One and my approval amount was lowered by $5,000. Still okay and was able to get the car I wanted. Received email stating that they have the pay stub and to take the pre-qualification form and pay stub with me to the dealer. I called Cap One before I went to the dealer to make sure they had everything. They stated that I now needed a co-signer. I don't have bad credit at all, but I am 23 years old, I'm guessing that's why. Then an hour later I received a letter saying that I did not pre-qualify.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I was "pre approved" for an auto loan. When push came to shove I got denied an auto loan for a $12,000 vehicle after my down payment. Funny thing is though when I went for a lease for a 2017 Buick Enclave with an MSRP of $52,000 I got approved immediately at an "A+" tier for a 24 month lease with 15,000 miles a year for $350/month. Oh by the way I didn't have to put anything down. Thanks for nothing Capital One...

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

After being with this company since 2013 I have to say that this company is money hungry leeches. I bought this car for my husband who had a heart attack and needed a car that had AC. This was the only vehicle that the car dealership could get us into. Sadly that also came with a 12.48% Apr. So after everything and having 2 years or good payments on-time and automatic they now are not willing to help. I was 6 months pregnant and seen that making my 365.00 payments was not going to keep going. I asked to see if I could settle my debt and get the car paid off. Well which that also said the engine blew a rod to the point it will cost me about 6500 to replace the engine and me owing 7500 that just financially did not make sense. So I tried to settle my debt since my payoff amount was 7293 and the interest that has been paid to date is 10000. I feel Capital One auto already made their money off of me and settle for 3500. They said no.

So sadly I lost my job two weeks ago and I am 8.5 months pregnant. My husband is self-employed and is doing his best to keep income coming in to pay rent but the last 2 months have not worked out well in our favor. Being behind in rent, utilities and now car payment the stress is overwhelming. I called Capital One Auto asking to see what they suggest I do or if there is anything they can help with and all they can say is wait until the 25th for the repo stage and then talk to a repo agent to see if they can help. Well sadly I was not ready to just give up but I guess this is how Capital One Auto makes their money. Very sad that this company are not out to help their customers. Instead they want to line their pockets.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I recently was in the hospital for months, due to blood clots going through my heart. We got behind on 2 payments. Beforehand, never any issues. We kept in contact with the company, kept them up to date on our situation. Asked for a hardship, which would allow us to skip two payments to the end of lease. They did one payment. We would speak to one representative, who said one thing. Next day, be threatened by a different representative, saying something completely different. I understand they are running a business. We DID, get behind. There are processes a company puts in place for people like us. Hardships, lost jobs, sickness, the company can help. This company, not really!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Don't use or trust this company!! I have a 72 mo loan in the last year and due to income loss contacted them to request their auto loan extension option for putting 2-3 payments on the back end of the loan. The principal amount from 2012 was app. $25,000 which has been paid back and in addition thousands in interest so in essence the bank has virtually no risk in working with us.

I was told we don't qualify for this even though the total payout is only app. $4000 and when asked the rep says he doesn't know why he can't extend this option to me even though it's right on their website. Then I was told the vehicle is scheduled to be repossessed and unless we pay up there are no other options available.

This company will suck every dime out of you they can and the minute it's in their best interest to add to the bottom line pull the plug and repo your car, auction it off and sue you for any deficiency plus all kinds of costs. Run from doing business with them!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Capital One implemented a product called "CreditWise" some time ago. Since then, I have not been able to log onto my account. I have spoken with numerous customer service types, including a group called "Office of the President". They make promises, say they will get back to me, and then go away forever. I have spent hours on the phone and on hold. Terrible way to treat customers! I can't wait to be finished with this company forever!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I don't think I've ever written a positive review before. I've never really felt the need to take the time to go online and fill out a review for something going my way or for how I was treated with respect and compassion. The past 4 years have been really rough for a member of my family and we recently learned that said family member was one day away from her car getting sent out to be repossessed. I called customer service on her behalf and spoke with Amanda. Amanda was absolutely incredible to work with. She was compassionate, respectful, and understanding.

She also has a wealth of knowledge and worked so hard to figure out a way to prevent my family member's car from being repossessed. Losing her car after finally coming to terms with the changes she is now making in her life might have been the last straw. This all sounds so dramatic, I know. Maybe I'm just super emotional right now. Honestly, I wasn't expecting the experience we had working with Amanda and felt like telling her thank you over the phone wasn't enough.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Capital One is refusing to take payment, and want me surrender my car back... The dealer is not refunding my down payment. I have this car for 2 months. Make 1 payment. I was trying to make payment # 2... They want to pay the car in full or return it. Besides that I make the deal with AUTONATION TOYOTA in Libertyville Il. Now they say is nothing they can do, And going to end losing my DOWN PAYMENT... I NEED AN ADVICE THANK YOU.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I called Capital One 3 days before I went up to the dealership. Told the agent or whatever you call them "the car was having too many problems. I wanna get rid of this deal". He said "take it back Friday". June 16th came. I took the truck back up to South Chicago Dodge said "I would like to cancel this deal. The mess I went thru was unreal." Then I called back to Capital One which was even worse. Had the nerves to say the deal was funded. Where in the world does time to finalize any deal come in at this truck. Ain't worth the amount you are selling it for and I truly want to cancel this deal. I am considering talking to a lawyer as well as BBB. I know I am gonna give them a shout out regarding this matter between the 2 of y'all. The whole operation needs to be shut down because you all are a big rip off.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Having been a Capital One customer for ~ 6 yrs, I must say, I have experienced nothing short of superb customer service, respect & understanding. Every phone call/correspondence with customer service has been thorough, professional & quite often educating. If I were to ever find myself in a inadvertently &/or temporary bind EVERY effort was made by Capital One to ensure a reasonable, convenient way ahead. Being proactive by owning/explaining your oversight, delinquency (break in loan agreement), etc and following through on an alternate plan agreed upon by both parties knowing, by law of contract, they had no obligation to do so, has made my personal experience with Capital One Auto finance, highly recommendable.

Not to mention, as a military member entitled to the SCRA interest rate limits, my interest rate was lowered immediately upon notification and a call that ended with "thank you for your service". To each their own, but understanding there is a process to every transaction allows for a reasonable perspective on the time it may take to complete and/or receive. So, for those looking to partner with a reputable, professional, very reasonable financing company, I recommend reaching out to Capital One to inquire about your options!

Original review: May 25, 2017

I hope this gets to Rich Fairbanks! I have been a customer with Capital One since 2014. My interest is 20% and my payments are $416. My mom decided to leave town and I've been forced to pay more bills than normal. I've tried countless times to get my payments down! I entered into the "Hardship" program! This doesn't help at all then could get my payments down $0 less! Well how is that supposed to help me when I said I can't even afford the $478!

There needs to be something implemented to really help those in need who have fallen on hard times! If I tell you I can't make my regular payment of 416 what make you think I can make a payment of $416. Each day I pray I hit the lotto so I no longer have to deal with this! I have to tell friends to steer away from this company. You guys do not help people at all!!! Oh yeah and with the hardship program if you don't have the money to enter the program they drop you from it! This is the worst customer service ever!

Original review: May 3, 2017

We had an auto loan with Capital One for almost four years. My fiance's car was the one financed through Capital One, but I was on the loan with him. Recently we experienced a total loss and our insurance company settled with us for more than the remainder of the auto loan with Capital One. My fiance spoke over the phone with our insurance company and a representative from Capital One on the same line regarding how to handle the payoff, and when Capital One could expect the check from our insurance company.

My fiance did everything right. We had to get him a replacement vehicle as soon as possible after the total loss, so we went car shopping and purchased a new vehicle that did require financing on our part. We were OK with that, knowing Capital One would be paid off the following Monday (two days later) and that we would be comfortable enough to afford the payments on the new vehicle. Well, we called Capital One because we needed a statement from them saying they'd spoken to our insurance company and that they were aware the entirety of the loan with them would be paid. That's all we needed.

My fiance was on the phone for an hour and a half and was transferred to 5 different auto finance reps before he asked to speak to a manager. All of the reps he spoke with were rude, claimed they had had no contact with our insurance company, and that we were two months past due on the payment toward the loan that was about to be PAID OFF IN FULL (and then some). We literally needed them to send us ANYTHING that simply stated either notes from a contact report saying something like they had "been in talks with the insurance company and are expecting payment in the next few days". But NO ONE would help him, and they kept giving him the runaround.

We knew that this short letter was the ONLY thing we needed so that the new finance company (for the new vehicle we HAD to purchase so my fiance can drive 100 miles to his full-time job and back every day) would know the old loan was paid out in full. Capital One is a bunch of idiots. We were at our wits' end with them when this happened, and are so glad we will never have to deal with them again! Please let this be a warning to you. Do NOT finance with Capital One or even do business with these crooks. They are incompetent, and will lie and deceive you into thinking you are crazy or misinformed when all you are trying to do is get things done correctly and in a timely manner. What a bunch of crooks!

Original review: April 28, 2017

I purchased a car (via private owner) on 21 Mar '17. We closed the deal at a Capital One Branch in Slidell, LA, because the previous owner's loan was with Capital One. Capital One claimed that the title would arrive within 15 business days of the payoff check posting. It has now been 22 business days, and Capital One cannot confirm when/if the title was mailed, and have no idea when it might arrive - they didn't document when it was mailed, and they do not have a tracking number. I'm confident they lost the title, and they do not care to help. After this experience, I will never bank with Capital One.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have been working on our credit score to apply for a home loan. I had two late payments last year, but on the next month that was due I made two separate payments to make up each of those late payments. Capital One is still saying I owe two past payments. I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago and argued with someone regarding it. They said they do not make mistakes, I have all my email confirmations of the payments and bank statements and the payment transaction posted to my Capital One Auto Loan showing all the payments.

This morning I get an alert from MyFico and Credit Karma that there was a change. Our score dropped by 79 points for late payments to Capital One Auto. This is very wrong. They have incorrectly reported my payments and saying I owe them two months of past due payments. I hire a Credit Pros to fix it but that would cost additional money which would decrease my payment to purchasing a home. Our plan was to apply for a home loan as a first time buyer this month. And now our FICO score dropped below 79 points below 600 which is now 515 score. If I dispute it then my score goes down. How do I fight them? Please advise, this is also placing a strain on my marriage and my health.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I am surprised at the low stars for Capital One Auto Financing. I am saying this because I NEVER encountered any issues with them. As a matter of fact I like Capital one auto financing way better than the other company I financed my other car with. When I needed to defer a payment they never gave me a hard time. Customer service has always been polite and they even gave me advise on a better way to make my payments every month which will apply to the principal and it has worked out great. I actually decided to finance with them on another vehicle I just purchased because I enjoyed their service.

Original review: April 6, 2017

When I first spoke with them after I bought my car they seemed so helpful. But if you need help by putting a payment at the end, they refuse. They do NOT want to help you in any way. The ONLY person I found helpful was Jefferson. Everyone else is worthless. I got behind in payments due to loss of work, and they waited until I was very behind before they gave me any help.

I made arrangements for 3 payments of almost $600 a month! We paid the first month. Second month we realized we were not going to have enough money for that and our normal bills. I called asking to spread the last 2 payments over 3 months and they refused! The "supervisor" whom I doubt was a supervisor, was rude, talked over me, talked down to me like I didn't understand what he was saying. He flat out refused to help. I can only hope that one day they will be in my situation and understand what it's like when nobody will work with you. Capital One - get some quality reps in there instead of these rude people.

Capital One Auto Financing expert review by Lauren Fix

Capital One Bank is a well-known financial institution that provides auto loans and financing for new and used cars. The company was founded in Richmond, VA in 1988.

• Low rates: Capital One can provide low rates for consumers with a good credit history. Get pre-qualified and know how much to spend.

• Low payments: The company can also negotiate low payments with Capital One Auto Finance specialists to help you lower your payments.

• Auto loan calculator: They provide an auto-loan calculator that allows borrowers to estimate monthly car payments for the total amount they need to finance. They also offer an auto learning center to learn about financing, loan extension and more.

• Wide network: They have a network of over 12,000 eligible dealers, in order to offer customers plenty of inventory and brand options.

• Variety of loan options: The company provides a huge range of auto loan options, whether buyers are purchasing used or new automobiles.

• Best for: Customers with good credit ratings who want the best deal on auto loans.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Capital One Auto Financing Company Information

7933 Preston Road

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.