1.59/5

Auto Warranty Expired?

197 Capital One Auto Financing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I apply after my bankruptcy discharge but they denied me. It’s frustrating. How are you supposed to rebuild your credit if they deny you. What am I supposed to do? I’m not asking for much. Just a simple plan.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I was "pre-approved", signed the online contract, provided proof of income, advised that all was verified and that in 7-10 day my loan would be paid off with my current finance company. That didn't happen. Then I received a voicemail to call them. I did, I got recording saying I was approved and welcome to Capital One etc. etc. etc. Still not paid off my current loan. It has been since January 24th of contacting Capital One and being advised I'm all good and then nothing happens. Now, this morning I log onto their "site" for updates which never updates anything and it says my application has expired. WTH? I have Credit Cards with Capital One and am in good standing, not sure if the Auto Refinance is legit or not at this point and will just stay with my current lender even though the interest rate is a bit higher than what Capital One was going to give me. Seems a bit too sketchy at this point to pursue further.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had an auto loan through Capital One from 2011-2017. I paid my loan for 6 yrs on time and in good standing. I found out that Capital One didn't report any of my payments to the three credit reporting agencies because they (Capital One) wasn't reporting my payments accurately so the file was deleted by Capital One altogether. When asked can my history be reinserted I was told no. So therefore, I got to take a loss for Capital One not doing their job. But you can bet if I was missing payments during those yrs I would have a credit history. This company doesn't care about its customers!!! NEVER got to worry about my business again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I paid my auto off using a credit card and they claim they were to send my title to the bank. The bank said they did not say that nor have they received the title because it was not an auto loan. The Capital One Resolution people are say the Lien Release is in the mail. Auto was paid off 12/21/2018. They finally after two months sent a Lien Release dated for 01/31/2019. I made a request to have the Lien released so I could get money back on extra insurance Capital One Auto Financial made me paid; $850.00. I called and they lied. Someone named Justin ** signed as Authorized Agent for Capital One Auto Finance Titles Department.

Capital One Customer Advocacy Team are liars and rude. Lexi hung up on me when I said no wonder Capital One Auto Finance has less than two stars with 193 reviews. I would run and keep running. They will approve you for refinancing but Capital One Auto Finance but they didn't refinance the cars they have financed. I am going to the State Attorney General office and file a complaint against them. Now I have to pay for a title, I lose money on the extra insurance, and my regular insurance company said I would paid a hundred and thirty nine dollars less if I would have had the lien removed before 01/24/2019. A whole month.

The lairs didn't have the right to keep a lien on the car for over two months as well as after 3 request. And if something happened to the auto ever with it paid off, the insurance money will go to Capital One Auto Finance because of the Lien still being attached to title. I have two credit cards I paid off too. I will never use them. They were paid on time and 4 times or more than the monthly payment and the interest rate was raised several times to almost 28%; on time payments, 725 score on credit reports. Run, keep running, and run far. Don't buy a car from a dealership who uses Capital One Auto Finance. They must be getting a kickback.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I refinanced my car with Capital One. They offered lower interest rate. I set up automatic payments with them. I noticed that they did not debit my account as scheduled. Had to send in a payment. They assured me that they would debit my account as scheduled. They failed and charged me late fees. I stopped auto pay and set up payment through my checking account. For some reason they came in the middle of the night and took my car. I had no notices sent to me. No phone calls. And I was not behind in payments. I was forced to pay $200.00 to get my car back. No refund, no apologies. Stay away from this horrible company,

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Auto Financing?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have only had a positive experience with them. They have worked with me. In the last year, I’ve had financial difficulties and death with immediate family. They have always been kind and understanding. They have worked with me.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got behind in my car payments because my disabled son has cancer. I told Capital One I would get caught up when I got my tax refund. The representative was very rude to me, said to take my personal belonging out of the car and didn't want to work with me at all. Today I received my tax return so I called to pay the overdue amount. They were closed! There was no way to pay automated. Long story short they come got my car tonight. Funny how they couldn't take a payment but could come get my car! I would not recommend this company!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I don’t know why there are so many negative reviews about Capital One Auto. I’ve had a great experience with them. I pay on time, or early, and I pay a little extra too. And contrary to what others have said, YOU CAN USE A DEBIT CARD!!! That’s how I’ve been doing it for the 2.5 years I’ve had my loan with them. So, like any lender, you have a contractual agreement with them. If you live up to your end of the bargain and pay like you’re supposed to, you won’t have anything to worry about.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I've only been with Capital One auto finance for a year and it has been a living hell. They DO NOT offer the ability to pay your bill using a debit card. I just opened up a new checking account and have not received all of my info yet. I wanted to pay with my old prepaid card in the meantime and Capital One will only take a checking account payment. Are you serious??? It's 2018. For a company this damn old and this damn huge, there is no excuse for this kind of crap. I just fought with their IOS app, the mobile site, AND the desktop website for the last 45 minutes and STILL I could not find a way to make a payment. I tried calling but there's a 15+ minute wait.

They used to have the option to call and pay by phone with a rep which is what I used to do, then that went away with the option to pay by credit card online for a fee (which is BS! No one should have to pay money to pay their bill). That lasted for 2 months. Now it's check only AGAIN. I cannot stand these people. I don't understand why a company would make it so damn difficult to pay their bill. One more year and I'm refinancing my car with another company and Capital One can go to hell. AND I need to put a stop to all their credit card mailers also. If this is how you treat customers, I don't want anything you have to offer. EVER.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

False reporting on credit report. DO NOT TAKE A LOAN FROM THIS COMPANY Capital One Auto Financing. PLEASE PUT IN A COMPLAINT TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU if you had a bad experience with them. They will mess up and destroy your credit. No matter how you pay. Please share this information with others.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Stay away from this horrible bank. They keep sending me letters that I am approved from up $35000.00 and I can't be pre qualified to refinance my current car from this bank. Outrageous!!! It makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I purchased used 2014 Frontier for $24K on a 6 yr note, finance with Capital One for 2nd time. 3 yrs paid and $15K still owed on principle. Interest paid up front like mortgage. I am disgusted. I want to trade but I have no equity, even with low mileage. No recourse I hear from all. CRAP!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Have had my car with Capital One for almost 3 yrs. Have never been late. Recently have been experiencing some financial hardships and money is super tight in which is keeping me from making my car payment this month. Everyone I'm around talk about their finance company offers the option to defer a payment when unable to make it. So I decide to look into this option with ole Capital One, mind you I had already read the comments on this forum prior but still tried my luck. So I'm here with same sad experience. No bueno. They gave me this cockamamie mess about the system didn't approve me for the option of what they call an "extension". Me knowing how this customer service mess goes because I work as a customer service representative and tell people the same bs already know how the game goes.

So I ask, "Is it not humans who operate the system and can override the system?" And of course because they are all trained robots reading a script didn't have much to come back with after I said that. Then had nerve to say, "There are other options, you can choose to change your due date or make a partial payment," so I was like surely if I could make a partial payment I could struggle to just make full payment, so that's out. So I ask what do I need to do to change due date, why did this trained puppet tell me I would have to make a payment. I was so baffled I just started laughing, really lady so we are back to the issue I had... Making a payment that I've told you in the beginning, and middle of this unsuccessful call I didn't have.

I told the trained puppet, “Ma'am those are not options. Those are traps.” All Capital One cares about is getting paid and they can't even tell you the reason why they can't grant the extension other than the system didn't find you a candidate. The same system designed by humans right. Smh. So I was like, “Well I'll call back later to see if the system will grant me this request since you humans are ran by the system.” So I did and you already know the system still sucks, but that's OK I will never ever finance another vehicle with Capital One and when my financial situation gets better I will be looking into transferring my credit card balance I have with them with my credit union... Maybe one day enough people complain about the way they handle loyal customers they will get the picture and change their jacked up system.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Purchasing my car at the dealership was made easy by Honda, as well as setting up the financing, due to the knowledge and talent of my Honda financial specialist. However, beyond that, Capital One makes it extremely difficult to make payments. That’s right, they make it difficult for you TO GIVE THEM YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY. I have had difficulty with submitting payments due to their online service and app not allowing you to use your debit/credit card for one time or auto payments. They need your checking account routing number, which I understand and willingly gave up. Then suddenly, my payments started being sent back with them saying it is incorrect info.

I entered the info directly from a check multiple times. It takes them 5 business days to inform you it didn’t go through. By then, they slap a late fee on top. I’ve called customer service multiple times, the best they can do is complete a same-day one time payment using my debit card. Zero help from customer service regarding setting up auto pay. Their response is “Talk to your bank”. It is not worth it when there are so many other, better options!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The price of vehicles they show is about half what the dealerships actually have the cars listed at. In my case, a 2018 Dodge Journey showed $16,172. I went to the dealership & the exact same car (VIN #'s matched), was $29,000. Salesman actually said I didn't read all the fine print in the offer letter. $12,282.00 in destination fees? Really? SHAME ON YOU. Complete hogwash! I did go directly across the street & financed with my credit union. Better APR & no lies about pricing.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been with Capital One for years and never had any kind of issue with anything. I recently bought a Car but had to go with Wells Fargo because that's the Institution they used. Well, Wells Fargo charged me way high Interest because of an old collection from DirecTV which was actually a cancellation Fee I refused to pay because they kept overcharging me for monthly payments. Anyway, as soon as I got my first statement from Wells Fargo I called Capital One to refinance and they have been amazing. They were fast did everything for me. Cut my interest rate in half and my monthly payments are down. Thanks, Capital One. As always you are a lifesaver.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I am looking for a used car to buy. I get regular credit score updates from Nerd Wallet and they offer a list of the best places to get pre-qualified for an auto loan. LightStream is number 1 on their list, but I wanted to check and see what the others were offering since LightStream wasn't that much better than what the dealer is offering me. I wanted to see what Capital One would offer and I attempted twice to fill out the online form. The screen would lock up repeatedly and it was making me nervous since my SS # and other personal information was already filled in.

I gave up and called Customer Service and of course the first thing she tells me is that I can only do the pre-application online and that the issues I am having are probably due to my browser. Never mind that the screen is locked up and I can't do anything at all. Nothing! Funny thing, I hear that excuse every time a poorly maintained website is not working, it's always my browser's fault. My browser must like Amazon a lot because it works flawlessly there, and also when I pay my bills online, order books and do a multitude of other things. I think that any company that doesn't maintain their website should be avoided.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

All my experiences with Capital One Auto Finance customer service has been disappointing. Time and time again, Capital One does not embrace helping others in the time of a hardship. They only have an option to collect their money and not look into many options the customer has available. It just seems like you are talking to a robot versus a human with compassion to assist others.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been a Cap One customer for over 35 years in a variety of loans. I have a Cap One car loan at this time. Payments are on time. I need to trade up to a larger vehicle due to the amount I drive. I have applied to Cap One and they declined to finance me. I called customer service to inquire and they said, "You have to apply for the loan thru standard channels - directly on their site or through a car dealership". No success either source. If I am a current loan holder and current with payments - what is the deal? Car financiers know... car payments and rent or mortgage are first to pay, why decline an account holder in good standing?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Incredibly, heartbreaking poor service. I've used this company for years, for both savings accounts, credit cards, and auto loans. I just paid off my first car that I've worked so hard for, and have been waiting for weeks for the title to appear in the mail. I called customer service to check on the status, only to be told that they "just send it in the regular mail, it's not important enough for a tracking number", and "it should've been delivered a month ago". They could care less about customers and the importance of their well being. They have NO problem reaching you, or making sure that you receive your bill every month on time... but the TITLE TO MY CAR, that they could care less about. They got their last dime and that is all that matters. Needless to say I am closing EVERY account, and will NEVER support their scheme again...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

In an attempt to pay off my auto loan with Capital One, Capital One informed me (On a recorded line and by mail) that my loan was paid off so title was transferred. It turns out that the payoff check was fraudulent so the funds were returned by Capital One and Capital One did nothing to notify me that the payment was returned - they didn't call, text, email or send a letter. I had no clue about the issue until I got a call by them for a delinquent payment on a loan I thought I had paid off. Now I have no vehicle and a $30,000 auto loan. Capital One's response is that they had no obligation to notify me because the fraud happened at a different bank. They have completely washed their hands of this matter. Very disappointing coming from a bank that prides itself on customer service and making the customer the priority.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I’ve had my vehicle since 2012. Have paid over $8000 in interest with ONLY 5 payments left and a balance little over $1500. They pick up my vehicle with no truly helpful attempt to help me get it back. So I ask you... Does repo’ing my car show appreciation for being a loyal customer? #CapitalOneNOLOVE

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am puzzled how there is no way to contact Capital One Auto Finance through email UNLESS you are trying to apply for the initial loan through them... in which case you can use comment@capitalone.com. Otherwise, you have to call the 1-800-946-0332 number and of course today a person that speaks in a low and barely audible tone will tell you the system is down for software updates (MIDDLE OF A WORK DAY at that) and to try back in one or two hours... every one or two hours the same message. But again system up and running to submit an application with their outrageous set in stone fixed APR. You never can speak with a person or get the quality interaction they are paid to provided to a consumer period. Knowing is power so I know never again will I go through them for a car loan because I need to be able to converse with actual people... and ones who can guide me to answers I seek at that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I've always made my payments online but in May 2018 I was locked out of my account (I was behind on payments) and the system asked for my account number in order to reset the password which I did not have. All communication from them only list the last 4 digits of the account number. I emailed asking for the account number and they replied I must call. I responded I've been off work on disability since March due to a lung infection which makes it difficult to speak. They still refused to send it, I finally called in June to make payment and the person kept asking me to repeat myself because she couldn't understand me.

I forgot to ask for the account number and they didn't offer. I didn't make a payment in July but tried to make 2 payments in August and again they refused to accommodate my disability by not sending the account number and forcing me to call. And again the guy kept asking me to repeat myself because he couldn't understand me. This is a violation of the ADA act 1990- The ADA defines an "individual with a disability" as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I went through the "pre approval" process when I got to the dealership. Capital One wanted 5k down and a APR of 15%. The very next lender I went to single digit APR and no money down. Are the dealerships get a kickback from getting people to sign these egregious terms? Makes one wonder, I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Do not trust this company. Predatory lender. Throughout a 6 year loan I disputed the amount owed several times and repeatedly requested a payment history from them - never received one. Finally made it to the end of the loan. $2,000 to pay. They asked if I wanted to pay off less to settle the acct. I said, “No of course not, I will pay the full $2,000”... and did in 3 payments. Sure enough - I just saw this on my credit report that it was charged off and $1,200 is owed. I called Capital One and the young lady said she could put in a dispute but she couldn't promise Cap One would change it. I asked to speak to a supervisor and waited for 20 min before I just gave up. I would love to be part of a class action suit against these folks.

Original review: July 26, 2018

About four years ago I applied for a loan through a Dealership to finance a 2014 Hyundai Tucson. I had no prior knowledge of Capital One auto finance but was pleased with their generous interest rate with me having credit score 680. A couple years later my daughter was accepted into the top nursing school in the country at just age 19. We were thrilled but knew that we would be facing substantial expenses for her education. The books and uniforms alone were $3000.00 We managed well for a while but fell behind at certain times. I responded to a call from Capital One finance department with fear of facing aggressive language demanding immediate payment. Instead, as I outlined my reasons for the financial strain, what I was met with was compassion and understanding.

The agent listened to my reasons and was very supportive. He said, "Capital One is committed to our customers and we are going to lower your interest rate so that you have more money to put towards your child’s education." I was left breathless, I could not believe it, but that is exactly what this amazing company did. My daughter graduated on May 1, 2018 summā cum laude and passed her state board registered nursing exam on July 6, 2018 all thanks to Capital One who did indeed finance her education. Thank you Capital One!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am not one to trust big corporate companies. I feel they are out to milk you and such. I have called other companies (which I will not mention here), and the poor service and rudeness is just appalling. Capital One has helped me and my family through my darkest days financially. Never had a problem with my credit card, nor my auto loan which they gave me a chance when everyone else closed their doors on me because of my credit score. Thanks to Capital One my credit repair has been a successful journey for me and my family. Everyone has their individual experience, I respect that, and do empathize with all sad situations. Perhaps I was an exception or just plain luck, but I appreciate them especially the beautiful flowers they sent me when I changed my address. That was CS at its best???

Original review: July 11, 2018

I had a major car accident in May 2018 and my car was a total loss. So I was shopping for cars online while the insurance and gap was settling on my car. I came along Capital One Auto Financing. So I called them they made it sound so easy. So I got pre-qualified. I knew was not going to purchase another new car because I realized on this wreck how much cars depreciate once you drive off the lot. But on the navigator I learned the later model car and lower the mile better rate you get.

So once my other car got paid off I went shopping and I come across a great deal at Southwest KIA in RR and the process was so simple. I gave them my DL and insurance. They ran my credit and they naturally want to put me with other lenders. I asked them would they run my credit again they said yes. I said NO. "Are my payments what we agreed on this 2018 KIA Forte of 3300 miles?" They said yes. "I will take it." I went back to the finance guy signed the papers. They cleaned up the car filled it with gas and I drove away. A very happy customer.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I went for Capital One Auto because Credit karma recommended it. Very bad advice! This company has poor customer service. I had to call them about twenty times to resolve an issue about payment not posted correctly. The wait was very long. The reps were very incompetent, trotting out lies to cover up their incompetence. I talked to the so-called President office resolution specialists. They offered me fake apologies and refused to make up for their poor customer service. I wasted about five hours in phone calls and made about 20 calls.

Some of the reps in the so called President office like Lorraine and Viejo and another liar, Pasha, were plain condescending and treated me as a nuisance. They refused to connect me to the President so that I can bring the issues to his attention. All in all, very poor customer service and I advise potential customers to avoid this company. They have no respect and consideration for customers. The employees only care about their paychecks- they are shameless mercenaries. I regret taking a car loan there. I want to pay up and be done with them as soon as possible. Shame on Credit Karma for misleading customers.

Capital One Auto Financing expert review by Lauren Fix

Capital One Bank is a well-known financial institution that provides auto loans and financing for new and used cars. The company was founded in Richmond, VA in 1988.

• Low rates: Capital One can provide low rates for consumers with a good credit history. Get pre-qualified and know how much to spend.

• Low payments: The company can also negotiate low payments with Capital One Auto Finance specialists to help you lower your payments.

• Auto loan calculator: They provide an auto-loan calculator that allows borrowers to estimate monthly car payments for the total amount they need to finance. They also offer an auto learning center to learn about financing, loan extension and more.

• Wide network: They have a network of over 12,000 eligible dealers, in order to offer customers plenty of inventory and brand options.

• Variety of loan options: The company provides a huge range of auto loan options, whether buyers are purchasing used or new automobiles.

• Best for: Customers with good credit ratings who want the best deal on auto loans.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
    Lauren Fix Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

Capital One Auto Financing Company Information