1.86/5
Based on 484 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

3885 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have used Bank of America for both personal and business checking and a variety of savings accounts for 15+ years. On the front end, the staff at the bank are very attentive and caring people so this is not directed at them. But at least 4 times in the past 3 months, Bank of America has processed checks set up in the "bill pay" feature 1, 2 and even 3 days before they were supposed to be processed which has led to overdrafts because the funds were not present. Because they were scheduled to transfer the day that I wanted to have them processed not when BofAm decided to have them processed. In the past 5 years, only once was a check/payment processed one day in advance so on the front end it appears that Bank of America has found one more way to take a hefty "overdraft fee" on an overdrawn account.

Of course, this affects credit scores with the bank and those debtors who have to reprocess a payment which usually also has a steep penalty fee. Because of this, as a safeguard, I have larger bills set to be paid at least 2 days after I want them to be processed just to be safe. The other good news about the staff at the local branch have reversed several of the charges. Again, staff great, bill pay feature left wanting... It can be much better. When I confronted the staff/branch manager she said that they want to make sure that the bills get there on or before the date I set the deduction to be withdrawn on, "to make sure it gets paid." I'm not buying that story considering that money and payments are transferred instantaneous in today's computer/electronic/internet world. Has anyone else had this experience?

Original review: June 5, 2018

Typical experience with Bank of America involves waiting long periods to speak to any customer service agent and a complete unwillingness to find flexibility in resolving problems. Having had repeated problems with unauthorized deductions from my account, and having misplaced my verbal password, both my debit card and checking account have been placed on hold until I can get to a bank branch. Normally this would be a perfectly normal request, save for the fact that I am wheelchair bound, having great difficulty traveling outside my apartment. While I offered to email any number of copies of photo identity documents, none of these was acceptable. Ultimately, I will have to get assistance in getting to a bank branch, with administrators of the service apparently having no interest in providing help in difficult situations.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Countless times now and I mean every other transaction I do this. Bank wants to put restrictions on my account and put a hold on everything for what they call unusual activity. Really! When does buying a few things off eBay under my own account then going to the atm and putting in my own pin in unusual activity. This is and has been a major inconvenience. After sitting on hold for over an hour making me late for scheduled appointments, a CS rep wants to say, "Sorry sir but it's for your protection." I can understand a couple of times but now sorry isnt good enough!

When I specifically say I dont need your security coming in between me and my funds please remove any security features which restricts my account from being accessed. That means STOP with the unnecessary BS. This has gotten way out of hand after speaking with a dozen reps and them saying this will not happen again that I will receive a text to ok the transactions and will not have to call in. Well that never happened. In fact I never received a text or email just another restriction.

HEADS UP BANK OF AMERICA. FIX YOUR STUPID FRIGGIN FRAUD DEPT AND FIX THIS MAJOR PROBLEM. THESE RESTRICTIONS HAVE YET TO help me in any certain way and has only served to piss my off time and time again! Get your head out from every transaction I do and being some watchdog of referee over every transaction that I do or lose another customer. I've never had this type of service before nor do I want it and I'll be damned if I keep tolerating it!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

BOA has consistently missed the payment due dates on Bill Pay items that require a paper check to be mailed. One payment check never arrived. When I complained to BOA, they blamed the Postal Service, and have not been responsive in doing anything to correct the problem. Therefore, the Bill Pay service is only reliable, in my experience, if the payments are processed electronically. BOA should process and mail the paper checks more in advance of the due dates.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I made a deposit. The bank accepted the deposit and made an amount available and put the rest on hold to be available on a certain date. It's printed on my receipt what day it would be available. That day came and they put the entire check on hold and did not honor the availability date. Keep in mind, several bankers called and verified funds. The other institution verified it had already been paid. The point is, don't be a ** teller and lie to people by printing inaccurate receipts. The other point is, act like you're a human when talking to a customer. Customers aren't robots. The last point is, if you have been paid on a check, don't hold the customer's money way past the date you said you would make it available. Horrible business experience with this bank. Absolutely horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: May 26, 2018

I owe these people money, but they have refuse to send me a bill or statement. It's not much but it's an outstanding bill! When I called (or even went over to the bank) all they do is tell me to log on to a site I have ZERO access too. I have no clue what my account number is. I have NO BILL OR STATEMENT! After waiting two years, I just gave up. I think they sold it to some mouse-house bill collector and I refuse to respond to any of them, because most of them are frauds (I lost money to them in the past, then found out it was a fraud from the government). So far it's not on my credit. But I want a bill or statement, something that actually says I owe the money how much!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Whenever I have a problem I can usually handle it over the phone. I have several accounts and I wanted them all linked online. It took me about 15 minutes over the phone to link 3 accounts and close one.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Long time customer. Good for free checking. Tied with my savings outside for better return with my charge card into my checking. Works well. I get extra cash. That is nice. Never a problem.

Original review: May 25, 2018

So, I am not a customer of Bank of America, nor will I ever be. My truck was broken into and a paycheck addressed to me was stolen. I had already deposited it in my account mobily. The person who robbed me wrote my name on the back of the check and paid it to the order of themselves, or likely to a person's identity they stole. Turns out Bank of America approved the check, gave the thief MY money, which in turn was taken out of my current bank account since it was deposited twice. Should I have destroyed the check after depositing it mobily, yes. Should Bank of America blindly have taken a third party check with no questions, no. How could they have let this happen? Was a teller in on it? Either way I will be contacting a lawyer.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have had a great experience with mortgage, auto loan, credit card, and banking services. The bank apps are easy to use and secure except Bill Pay which can be confusing. I do have my retirement IRA roll-over with them that gives me a higher customer status, includes better loan rates and cash back on credit cards.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Online access is a nightmare. Incorrect information submitted to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau against customers. Refuses to correspond in writing. Unethical practices and horrible customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I really wish there were no fees at the Bank of America. I'm on a special safe balance account which has no overdraft charges, but a 4.95 fee each month. That fee is a waste of my money.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The credit card they offer is great and I would have loved to have kept it but wasn't able to in the consolidation. The points they offered were great and I'd love another one.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I like the tellers we have here. They are great at customer service and it is the main reason I use this bank. Security for your credit card is pretty good at Bank Of America too.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Bank of America refuses to allow online access, then penalize customers. They have outrageous fees and they arbitrarily reduce customer credit lines to intentionally harm credit scores. No responsibility to customers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have had numerous accounts and mortgages with BofA over the past 30 years. Bank of America used to be a World Class Bank. I can no longer profess this to my clients and renters. I used refer people to use BofA but I no longer do so. I have been given contacts to resolve issues. This worked for awhile, however after a period time. New and the old issues would reoccur. As I communicated with the local branch... If they could not resolve my issues. I would resolve them myself, by move accounts away from BofA. Thus far, I have close 3 accounts, and move my money market to other banks which appear to want my business.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have banked with BofA for nearly 8 years and the first 5 of them were just fine - free checking, linked savings, only requirement at the time was to always use ATM services in order to avoid teller charges. Ok, no problem there. Then I began seeing charges on my checking account, which was no longer a free account, apparently that type of checking account no longer exists so I was moved into the fee based checking. Not happy about this at all, but as long as I kept money in my savings and maintained regular direct deposits I would be fine.

Now, I am seeing $12 monthly checking fees, $5 monthly savings fees and instead of my automatic transfer from checking to savings each month being canceled due to low balance, my savings account gets charged $24 in overdraft protection - from my own transfer!! This charge did not go to cover anything! On the bright side, I closed my accounts today. My kids closed their accounts. My husband is closing his account this week. We have had enough. No more games, no more giving our money away to random charges and maintenance fees. Done.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Been with Bank of America for many years. As a Preferred Customer I experience many useful perks. The savings rates for CD's, regular savings and checking is dismal if any. I have always been treated well at my branch and with my BOA Visa. Security is excellent.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Very displeased with the inside banking customer service, the lines are excessive during peak days, hours. Refuse to have more than 2 tellers on to operate all including drive through. Excessive fees. Nasty attitudes.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Been with BOA since it was LaSalle Bank - sorry we still are! I state "sorry we are" for a few reasons. First off, there is NO customer service anymore - it's gone by the wayside in our estimation. I think the final crux was the taking away of the drive up teller windows. We are all for times changing and the like but we are paying for these services and, as such, we seek these services if we so choose. If we don't utilize those services then that would be our choice - not the banks. Not when we're paying, in our opinions, for something no longer available. Further, now it is only just ATMs and here again two ATMs doesn't account for enough machines for usage - not when cars are lined up. Very disgusted with this bank for sure! Eventually looking to say bye-bye but, as with anything, other items on our to-do presently take precedence but we will make this change in the near-term!

Original review: May 23, 2018

The bank employees are very nice and efficient and the bank is always clean and tidy. However, I have not been able to use the on-line banking, it would not accept my password and did not ask me any security questions. Another branch ran debits before credits and were going to charge an overdraft fee, but the local branch helped me get it straightened out according to their records and my receipt of deposit. I haven't paid any service charges yet, but will be sometime this month. I understand a lot of people are upset about the service charges, but I understand that the bank needs to make a profit.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Very hard to get to a human at Bank of America and often the wrong one. Get passed off to someone who really don't know or can't help. Often had to resubmit duplicate copies of docs. One branch often have no idea of what another branch has done even though transacts were suppose to be entered into the computer system.

Original review: May 22, 2018

My only issue with the Bank of America is that the charge for the safety boxes is higher than it should be especially since the contents are not insured.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Any and all experiences I've had with Bank of America has been positive. Even with closing out my mothers account after her passing was stress free. Everyone was super sensitive and walked me through every detail.

Original review: May 22, 2018

In 2010 they allowed a merchant (who was a scam) to debit $10k from my account. The next day another $5k and then another $4k, a day later. That was my debit card account. Then they allowed the merchant to charge items worth a total of $8k on my BofA credit card account. They advertised that they were monitoring my account 24/7 for any suspicious activity but they did not find these transactions suspicious. They were complicit, as was the payment processing company for the merchant. They ignored their own policies and these merchants used hundreds of different names and had several merchant accounts with the bank. They also had many more chargebacks than the bank was suppose to allow. They knew who they were dealing with.

Bank of America sent me to collections and the credit bureaus would not remove it unless the bank said they could. The banks are members of the credit bureaus and the banks are the credit bureaus. Bottom line is: I've had to live with the result of what it did to my credit score for the last 7 years and the credit bureaus have no interest in bettering our credit scores. They would not produce how the transactions were processed and they got to write off the amount as a loss and I had to pay taxes as if it was income, even though it was a loss to me. Our government has given the banks, the drug and insurance companies a free pass to do whatever they want, with no consequences.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My Properties CWHL 2006 - I had a Countrywide Loan 2006. Massively toxic and promised rewrites, freeze modes and all other lies told by Bank of America's Executive Offices: Wendy **; David **; Zachary Harrod; Matthew **: Vanessa **: and a many other TOP LEVEL LIARS aiding in stealing property. My Note was accelerated in 2007. "Never Decelerated" to which caused a Note Called due shortened the Maturity Date to 2007 and Expired under All laws to enforce any foreclosure. This expired under UCC 3118 at Six Years. BANK OF AMERICA AND NEW YORK MELLON BANK DID NOT CARE... instead they ramped illegal acts; TRESPASSED into my HOME; Caused massive harm; NONStop lies and forced into a BK to stop illegal property theft by false measures. THEY HAVE CONTINUED TO ACT GAMEY ALLOWING NATIONSTAR AND SHELLPOINT TO PRETEND TO HAVE A "OWNER" When no truth exists on that matter either.

Now Nationstar and Shellpoint BOTH ATTEMPT TO STEAL BY CREATING FORECLOSURE AUCTIONS - NEVER EVEN MAILING A NOTICE - However recording as "Owner of record" vs. The owner of title - each game they play is completely corrupted. They control our government and are Failing all laws. This is time barred a hard stop however no laws are upheld -- These entities have taken over my life and ruined it. -- They are "acting as Phantom debt collectors" when my particular loan was time barred under all operations of laws. They promised to release the lien - then redacted saying that they already transferred servicing out -- however then "SOLD" AT THE SAME TIME. THIS IS INSANE. The Attorney firms aid them. California and Texas Attorney's and Florida Nationwide Title Makes up the forged assignments and the Governor of Florida is aware... What happened??? Seriously. We have NO Regulators found.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Since Bank of America consolidated two banks the service is faster and the ATM doesn’t break down as often. We don’t use the drive through because the lines are too long.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Fast and easy bill pay system, overdraft protection, and few glitches work for me. I feel their security systems are among the best. Fast service for lost cards too.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I have had Bank of America for many years and many moves. Very pleased with their services. They are very explanatory, have lots of patience and are more than helpful.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I went with Bank of America due to my whole family banks with them. But someone at the bank make a mistake on my account which they fixed the problem but it should have never happen. It cause me problem for a moment.

Bank of America Company Information