1.76/5
  • 1 star
Based on 328 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

3609 Bank of America Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I called customer service and even went into a branch seeking to get a detailed transaction statement regarding my own account which I used my debit card at a specific location specific amount on a specific date and time because I was being accused of a crime which was Allegedly committed nowhere near that location' that I had used my debit card. My own bank would not give me my own information when I need it most what is that about? Dates and locations.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Horrid customer services, long wait time if you need to speak to a phone rep, lack of communication on policy changes, shady ways of taking overdraft and maintenance fees, and poor sense of ethics, have left me completely lose faith and trust in the Bank of America. I've been with the bank since 2005 and their quality of service and activities have gone so rancid that I have decided to completely close out of the account despite the hassle of redirecting deposits and relinking the different vendors for automatic payments.

If you are considering whether to sign up with the Bank of America for checking, savings, or credit card - here's my advice - save yourself the trouble and just don't. You will certainly come to regret it and end up with countless ridiculous fees charged to your accounts at a whim of their policies in fine letter (which they made the littlest attempt at informing you). Better sign with Chase or Citi. At least they are transparent about their take and don't steal from you!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am 70 years old and have just had the most ridiculous and shocking experience I've ever had. I went by a Bank of America drive through yesterday to make a CASH deposit to my son's account as I have done numerous times over the years. I do not bank with BOA but this has never mattered for deposits. I had a deposit slip with my son's full info and his account number and also showed my driver's license. I was told they could not take it because it had become a recent policy of theirs (last Monday) that they could not take cash deposits from non-customers. I said, "This is CASH, not a check. And it's going into one of your depositor's accounts." They said their system was no longer set up to take cash. If cash is recognized by the US government as valid currency, it should definitely be accepted by banks! My son is also totally appalled by this. BOA has to be the worst bank out there.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Bank of America just stole close to 400 dollars from my bank account the day my check got deposit. I filed a claim with the sent back the information they ask for and everything. This is the second time they let take money out of my account and they themselves and right before Christmas. I called and spoke with someone and they basically told me I have to wait 17 business days to even start the process. I am so. Upset... With these thieves.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have a physical disability and cannot work. A year ago I was living off of DHS assistance while I had applied for social security and waiting for a hearing date. At the time I was getting ready to be evicted and desperate for money. I met this guy who told me that I could get $500 by doing an Apple survey on an Apple product. I told the guy I did not have an Apple product, he had told me that he would do the survey on his Mac and that Apple would deposit the $500 into my Bank of America account but that it absolutely had to be a Bank of America account. So he had me go open up a Bank of America account and give him the information, it felt really sketchy and suspicious but I was a single mom with a disability and could not work getting ready to be evicted and I was desperate for money so unfortunately I took the risk and gave him the bank information.

As soon as I gave him the bank information he quit answering my messages, he was trying to cash a fake check (they did not even have my name or signature written ANYWHERE on it) from my account and it was returned but somehow I owed the bank 400 something dollars. I tried to file a fraud claim because he had asked me for the information under false pretenses and Bank of America denied the fraud claim because I willingly gave him the information even though he didn't use it for the intended reason. I reported this to the police a couple days after it occurred and even the police officer said, “Why is Bank of America cashing checks from your account that aren't even written by you, signed by you, addressed to you or even registered to you?”.

I approved for my Social Security but now I can't open a bank account for 5 years because this occurred. I was assuming if I paid the debt that it would clear through the ChexSystems so I can open up a bank account for direct deposit. Well it showed up that I paid it but it's still showing up as fraud in my ChexSystems status so now I have to contact ChexSystems and send all the evidence to them so I can prove that I'm telling the truth and get the status cleared from my social security number. That is such **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have a small business account with Bank of America, I made a deposit on Dec-04-2017. Today is the 7th and I go check my account, a hold is being put on my deposit to clear on Dec-15-2017. So I called today at noon and the associate said that it might be because Is the first time I have made a deposit from this company, I said she can verify that I receive a check from them just about every other week for a few years now, then she changed to the clarity of the picture on my mobile when I had made this deposit. When I asked why the app accepted the picture she once again changed to confidential information that they have that the other bank (Chase) might not have the funds from the company that is giving me the check. Now she said: "If we can clarify from the company that made the check to you we could verify everything and release the funds to you." To which I agree.

She was on hold but hanged up the phone before The owner of the company making the check could answer; so I explain to him the problem I was having, he check his mobile instantly and tells me that that check is not even on pending but the funds were already released to Bank of America. He then went to his bank (Chase) and got confirmation of this transaction and texted me a picture of the printed confirmation. Now it’s evening and I called Bank of America again, the new associate tells me: "Thank you for gathering all that information but we cannot release the funds until the computer systems from both banks communicate and we can collect the money from Chase." At this point I know that all they want is to have me run on fees and just like that, blankety steal from me. I wonder how much money they will collect for Their holiday presents from people like me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

On November 29th I deposited a check through the atm. On the receipt for the transaction it said x amount available immediately, x amount available the next business day and the balance in several days. The next day they placed a hold on the entire amount. I called customer service and was told it would be available on Monday Dec 4. December 4th not available, called customer service. They said it would be available first thing in the morning, again not available. Went to branch and called customer service and was told it would be available on the morning of the 7th. A new policy went into effect on Monday. Today, December 7th not available, called customer service and was told that it would be available first thing in the morning. The person in customer service was rude. This check was issued by a large car dealership on a Chase Bank account. I have had my account with Bank of America for over 21 years and have never been treated like this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

On Nov 09, 2017, I sold my father’s house and moved out of that house Nov 10th, 2017. During this time, I asked my daughter to deposit the checks from the sale of the house into the BOA account. My error was not telling her to deposit it in the account that I share with my father. I use the same card for both accounts. After the deposit I waited a couple of days and checked to see if the checks had cleared. There was no record of a deposit made other than the receipt my daughter provided me. I went to the bank and they told me a adjustment had be made and the bank would contact me by sending me a letter and the checks back to me. I would have to wait 7-10 business days.

Long story short, I have spoken to at least 9 people at the customer service number. All of which is documented and dated and timed. Not one was able to correct the problem other than to say they have to research the problem and get back to me. Cases were open and closed. Twice I was told a email was sent to me confirming the research. Nothing was received. Twice I was told the letter and checks were federal expressed to me but I received nothing. When I asked for confirmation of the mailing they stated they were unable to provide it. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, they would say "I am a supervisor" when I asked to speak to their supervisor, I would be placed on 10 to 20 minute holds and then told he was unavailable.

To date 12/06/2017, My 97 year old dad and I have not received any concrete information as to where the money is and when it will be returned. The customer service reps are poorly trained individuals reading from Q-cards. The lack of responsibility and respect for the customer is very evident at BOA. Unfortunately with poor customer service you are left to feel violated and powerless. BOA has stolen my father's money and has not provided any proof or evidence of good faith that they are sincerely working on fixing the problem. This is shameful!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

In dealing with Bank of America (BoA) I paid off my account balance and was charged interest on the interest. I made a complaint to BoA which sent the complaint to a debt collector, my first indication of what they thought of their depositors. BoA stalled for weeks then said they always charge interest on interest and too bad for you. My only consolation is that I have lost very little money compared to other people who have had the misfortune of dealing with BoA.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I was just starting a new job and preparing myself to have a bank account ready for direct deposit. I really needed a portion of my funds that day but they said it will take till the following Tuesday so I waited until Tuesday and I kept checking the account with zero funds so with the new card that was only temporarily I went and activated the card at the ATM and still there was Zero funds on the account. So I went inside the establishment of the bank and I talked to the person who actually took care of opening my account and she asked for my ATM card and she told me it wouldn't be on that following Tuesday which was that day I went in and she said it was I being held till next Saturday which is way too long for only $242 which is a very inconvenience now that I just started a new job.

Now I have no gas for my car or food to feed myself for work. I understand most banks need a couple of days to clear the check but not a whole week. I've never been treated poorly after opening an account. And probably will be getting fired from the new job that I've really worked & waiting so hard for. The lady who opened the account was the one who told me that it would be available on that following Tuesday after that weekend and I trust her judgement on it to be told that I have to wait another four more days... Now I will be looking for a lawyer just in case that I do get fired over not having enough funds to take care of myself so I can get new checks from the new job, I am ready to close the account but now I'm stuck with the account now because I just started a new job and I have to wait but now I cannot because I can't even get to work!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

BOA reverses the Order of presented Charges so they can charge more than on overdraft or NSF fee. Then when you call them, they claim the charges reversed as they were being processed!! Of course, Legalized THEFT!!! From BOA.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Terrible system and customer service. I was told I couldn’t access my funds for an entire week after giving them my paycheck because of a holdout on my account. I was given a very vague explanation and received no sympathy from customer service. As a full time student with a minimum wage job as my only source of income they completely screwed me over. Never felt so disrespected in my life.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I'm getting REAL fed up when I walk into my BOA branch - today I counted and I was # 23 in line (a line that stretched around the inside of the bank and out the front door) & teller windows available but again only 2 open. But that isn't true either, because at one of the open windows the teller keeps running back and forth to the drive thru window, so actually there is only 1 full time window open and one part time window! And out of the 22 people in front of me there are at least 10 carrying their zip-up bags making deposits of cash and checks from their small business, which means the cash has to be counted and the checks added up to make sure they reflect the actual deposit slip - then they have to get change to take BACK to the business which has to be counted out cash and coins and each one of THOSE customers are good for at LEAST 10 minutes at the window!

Meanwhile even though there are a lack of at least 2 more tellers you can be sure there is a greeter at the door asking "How may we help you today" when in fact he can't do one goddamn thing to help ANYONE because he has NO CASH in his pockets so he tells you to just stay in line and wait your turn (useless as ** on a bull). Today, I stood in line for 38 minutes before I could leave. That is too goddamn long! But they save money and increase the bottom line by not hiring more people to help the customers. I have my eye on Wells Fargo at the moment for sure.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I never give bad reviews, and I keep giving them chances, but after 3 times over the past 10 years, they are not reasonable at all and try to hit you with every fee there are. They would lose me as a customer over $25 over drafting fee that I paid the very next day, while other banks like Chase and TD Bank would refund as a one-time courtesy! So I paid over the phone and their NOT up to standard system try to take money over and over again from my bank, and still charge a fee every time they couldn't, and I had to spend an hour on the phone with them wasting my time sorting this out! And still charged me $25 at the end, not taking care of their customers. BAD BUSINESS, make me hate this bank! WATCH OUT for this blood sucking thing.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I was hit with hurricane Harvey. Because I don’t have direct deposit at my job I have to drive downtown Houston to corporate to get payroll check. My rent is auto drafted. Got my check but all Bank of America was closed entire week so I couldn’t deposit the check. Called Bank of America to tell them the situation. They said, "Sorry to you. We're affected. We will pay your rent and just pay the overdraft fees." Rent came in. I was happy until couple days later it was returned. So I had to pay rent, return fee plus late fees. Don’t trust this bank for nothing. My payroll is drawn off Bank of America and I make deposit every payday. I closed out my account because this bank can’t be trusted at all.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

No discretion. They don't shut up 5 seconds to even listen before rambling off hundreds of excuses they have for not doing their jobs, and hoarding our money collecting more and more interest on it before allowing me access to my own. Frigging money. I'm sick you your bs, you have steadily gone downhill past 3 years. I'm taking my money elsewhere. Your Turlock, CA branch assistant manager might as well been a dog licking her ** in the lobby then she would have been more normal than discussing my private finances in front of everyone, after I asked her not to at least 4 times.

Not to mention my main issue was a hold because I used at deposit instead of walking it into the lobby, she tells me I would have my money in hand now, instead it will be 8 days. That only makes sense to dogs which is who this bank would better serve than human beings that have brains, even half a brain, as much sense as you now make. I'm taking my money elsewhere. I'm done with this ** bank.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Bank of America decided to bounce my rent check when the money was in there. Every bank I have ever had when you were negative or a check was going through you had the day to put the money in to cover the check or anything processing. Well I woke up on November 29 to my account being negative my rent check went through. To my surprise there was already a bounced fee. They told me they would reverse the fee. Just get the money in my 10 am and the check will be paid. OK sounds great right!? Well I talked to Alicia after I put the money in. They were doing something called "force pay" which makes no sense if you're negative and you put the money in before the end of day. Shouldn't be a problem paying it. Well even with all the money in they bounced it. And they said it processed the day before. I said, "How, if I was using my card and had 10 dollars in there why wasn't it negative?"

They said only they could see it. I couldn't. Wtf? So it processes but I can't see it to get the money in then you say get the money and even when the money is in there still bounce it. This is the second time in a month they bounced my checks. I never saw they were processing. And I don't keep large amounts of money In my account for a reason so when the check shows I put the money in. I had no problem with Wells Fargo or TCF but this bank purposely processes checks without your knowledge of them going through and by the time you see it they already bounced it. I already hate this bank. And when I talked to the manager she said, "I'm sorry even with the money in there it may not go through." It was a business decision. What??? What business decision. I didn't ask them to pay it. The money was in there to pay it so wtf is the problem.

I told them, "Your sorrys won't fix my landlord being pissed." I told them the check had to go through. I got, "No problem it will. No problem." Call next day of "They should have told you it's not a guarantee." Listen this was a big deal to me they needed to pay that. There is no excuse in the world they bounced it. So now for the second time this month I bounced a check with my landlord. Thanks Bank of America even with the money bring in there they bounced it. So the scam is they process checks without you serib them and by the time you see it they already bounced it. How ** up is that.

I'm in a bad time right now and didn't need this **. And I'm reading about them bouncing checks for the hell of it. I hope hiding transactions is illegal and they get busted with it. Nothing but **. And got told two times, "The check is fine. Will go through." False hope. They knew it was gonna bounce **. This is the 2nd time banking with them they used to leave the bank negative all day til 5-6 so you can cover the account. I guess being sneaky and criminal is better than being honest and for the customers.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Well I open my account this year in July and I had a fraud check somebody sent me and ever since then it's been trouble with Bank of America. Just beginning of this month in November 3rd I got my financial aid and in July there was supposed to close that account but before I got my financial aid I called ahead of time just to make sure they would not take my financial aid money. Come to find out they took $495 the next day. They credit me and that counts after I talk to 50 million people and had to explain myself over and over and over then the next day after that they took $420. The account was supposed to be closed in July. Well I'm the 8th I talked to a fraud account dude and he credit my $420 back plus my other two that I was fraud and then come to find out the next same day they took the $420 out. I noticed it was activity on my account today and I looked and I noticed that they took that $420 back.

I have talked to 678 different people. Have no clue what the hell is going on so I had to repeat myself and I don't like to be listening to the same crap that I've been listening to already. I get emails and my financial aid wasn't deposited on the 6th. It was deposited on the 4th. They don't have the right statements. They change their statements and they only put whatever they want to put on there. I do not like Bank of America. I think it's a bad bank and I will never soon as I get my money back I will never use Bank of America again. I'm going to write a reviews on everything about this bank. I do not like this bank and it's a terrible bank and it should be shut down.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with a Call Center Rep who obviously was not experienced or lacked training. I had to provide my SS # THREE times for her to get it correct. She proceeded to ask security questions for month of birth for people I had never heard of. She asked for previous addresses where I lived and I verified 2 of them. She didn't ask for my DOB, my mother's maiden name, etc. She then told me that I had to go to a BofA Branch to just cancel a dispute that I had placed on my account. I was reimbursed by the Merchant and wanted to cancel the dispute. She said I could cancel the dispute online and I told her that I had exhausted my efforts to find a way to cancel it online. She then couldn't tell me how to find the "way" to cancel it online.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Did my best (as a retired CPA) to send a wire from my BOA account to buy some Ripple. Bank sent it as an ACH even though I followed the wire directions. Broker won't accept it, money missing. Spent 45 minutes on phone with (all but one) useless BOA employees. Endless menus, unbearable. Waits, transfers to wrong department. By the time the one normal employee I got figured out what to do, the department I needed closed. Some fool said he was transferring me to the ACH Dept., but he sent me to the ATM Dept. It goes on and on. This bank is floating in inflated, bubble assets but is being run by stone idiots with good looking credentials. They look like crap to me.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I opened an account with Bank of America and have had nothing but problems since. Every location I have gone into it's always a line... I'm always there for more than 35 minutes every time. When I call the customer service line nobody can help me. I'm always told I have to go into a branch. I deposit my paycheck from my job. First time no problem. Second time they tell me the funds won't be available to me until almost a week later because they have to verify even though I deposited the same check two weeks prior. This bank is the absolute worst. If you already have a bank somewhere else and thinking about joining Bank of America don't do it, it would be nothing but headaches.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I received a letter dated 6/20/17 that said that a charge of $25 a month will begin Aug. 9. Went to the local BOA bank July 31. Told the teller I wanted to close my checking account. She gave my money, the balance. I went to check my October BOA credit card and noticed my checking account to my disbelief was charged $25 fee anyway. Called BOA (Derrick/Agent) 10/16/17 and said he would refund the $25 but I would have to go to the bank in person if it happened again. I went in person and told the teller that I wanted my account closed and she sent me to a room to wait. I did so for 12 minutes and emphatically told the teller to close my account and left (my wife was waiting in the car). I checked 11/26 and another $25 charge for a total of -$50 on the checking account that should not exist, died July 31. Please help. I am going again to another BOA branch and will try to keep my cool. Why will they not let go.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I opened up Merrill Edge account as a joint account with my wife on 04/2017 and transfer my asset that is enough for Platinum honor tier and I opened up Bank of America checking account on 10/2017 as a joint account with my wife to meet preferred member requirement. Preferred rewards requires 3-month average balance over Bank of America or Merrill Edge account. It also requires Bank of America checking account. My wife and I met all of the requirement and I got Platinum Honors tier same day of opening checking account. But, my wife cannot. We called Merrill Edge and found out my wife has two different profiles and they need to be merged. And it will be handled 2-5 business days. After that she can see linked Merrill Edge account when she log in Bank of America site. But, Platinum Honors tier is not granted automatically.

So, we called several times and visited local branch two times. Whenever I contact them they set the due date, but nothing happens. When I last visit local branch on 11/10/2017, they promised it will be done by 11/14/2017 and will gave us a follow-up call. But, nothing happened after that. They simply complains Merrill Edge does not give them proper balance and Merrill Edge side said they did what they can do. Local branch people collect screenshot of recent three-month balance and send email to someone during 11/10/2017 visit, but it was stopped somewhere in the middle of process and still no answer from them. Their requirement is simple and my wife meet all of requirement. They continuously said it is their side problem and will fix it, but nothing is fixed until yet. She need to open up new credit card with Platinum Honors tier to receive 75% bonus, but this is delayed because of that.

Also, she cannot use debit card other ATM, because Bank of America will not reimburse it before receiving Platinum honor tier. I want to talk someone who can make a decision at once. In the middle people cannot understand the real problem and simply wait until it is solved. But, it will not be solved because Bank of America's system has a fundamental flaw. Bank of America and Merrill Edge are now the same company. How come they cannot access each other's system even if my wife and I can see linked accounts together. My wife is losing privilege for one month and I don't know when this will be finished. I really want to talk someone who can make a decision instead of asking someone else's approval.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I called customer service to ask why my check from The Comptroller's Office for Child Support was on hold until Nov. 28, 2017... keep in mind I deposited this check on Thursday, 11/16/2017. The representative told me the hold was in place until the check could be verified. I asked to speak to a supervisor instead, the representative placed me on hold for a few minutes then returned and said, "I explained the details to my supervisor and she said there's nothing she can do about the hold and you have to wait until the 28th for the check to clear." I said I wanted to speak to her. The representative said again but with an attitude that there's nothing her supervisor could do. Once my check clears I'm closing my account with BoA.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I put my payroll money in their ATM and notice ATM made a error noise and push buttons so money can return and immediately went in branch to ask if money was showing on my account. Teller says no and give me claim number to call to take care of matter, however did a dispute on claim and I got a letter saying they didn't find my funds and reopen dispute because I had to say look at camera and now they are saying they found nothing still, so sent the 1600 back out, which made my account overdrawn and now the ATM took my money and bank debit my account so 1600 twice.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I've been with Bank of America for about 10 years. 3 times over that course they have decided to just starting charging me monthly fees despite having two direct deposits put into the account bi-weekly. They have just recently starting charging me fees without "overdraft" fees when all I have been doing is moving money between two accounts. I'm getting tired of this and am closing my BOA account. When I moved all the money out of my BOA account onto another they immediately charged me another fee. I'm done with these guys. I have a family to support on my income alone and can't be getting charged a fee every time I turn around.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have been to a local Bank of America in person within the last 5 days. The Relationship Manager there told me, after checking the coded numbers on back of all 3 copies of front and back of money orders (not credited to my mortgage loan account at Ditech), that the money orders were deposited into a created account by B of A "with a lot of money in it". One of the series of coded numbers on back of all my money orders was the number of a woman, "Vice President of treasure Sales Office", who was called but no answer. Today, I received an email reply from the local B of A Relationship Manager I met with, saying that others at B of A are investigating this matter and it should be resolved by end of this week. I hope so. I am visiting the local B of A again this Monday.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I’ve had several Bank Of America accounts for years. Recently one of my accounts was randomly charged a $25 Fee three times and no one can explain why. Nothing has changed with my finances or the amount in my accounts. They can’t seem to explain what changed about my account and why the fee began and why I can’t get my total of $75 back.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Bank of America keeps holding my paychecks, this is the 4th payroll check I have deposited and now I have been waiting for 7 days and today my car was repossessed because I couldn’t make car payments because they're holding my paycheck, my employ doesn’t have DD yet.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

They charged my $300 savings account $45 in fees. I had transferred from my savings to checking 4 more times than the monthly limit and they charged $10 every time with no warning after the first one. When I called them and asked them to waive the fee they wouldn't. Pulling all this "federal government" **. Taking my deposits elsewhere.

Bank of America Company Information

NC
www.bankofamerica.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use