Bank of America

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Directed by the state of NJ to switch to Bank of America. I got a 4 year card that I didn't keep in my wallet. When I got the next 4 year card I kept it in my wallet. A year later it wouldn't scan in the machine possibly because the card was scratched. This happened at the Westwood NJ branch with all 3 of the machines. They gave me a new card in the mail and no one at the Westwood branch would help me.

The machine at the Hillsdale NJ branch seemed to be more durable at reading card that were scratched. I've tried to get e-banking this month again. No one would help me at the Westwood branch when they were open which was another issue with their poor hour and my job. Now I'm have hard time trying to get e-banking online. I'm switching banks as soon as can. I also have headaches from Bank of America.

My husband was dying of cancer and he pushed himself to be sure he got ten years in teamsters so I would have a pension. Well the pension is only $38.00 a month and it's direct deposit into Bank of America account him and I started in 1991. He passed away and the pension had been going into that account then about five or more years ago Bank of America just started charging $12 a month on the account because balance too low I never changed the account. They just started charging this so they now take $12 every month out of the $38.00 pension. I have tried to find out where the pension comes from to change it to another bank but they have refused to cooperate so they are monthly just taking $12. They are rip off and hopefully someday something will be done about them.

I just opened a savings & checking account in the beginning of December 2016. I made at least 3-4 deposits since and upon trying to make another deposit on Friday 1/20/17 at the atm, I'm being prompted that my account cannot be found. After several unsuccessful attempts, I went to check my online account and cannot log-in. I call customer service and was told that they made a business decision without explanation to close my account. No warning, no notice, just up and closed my account. This is horrible business and another reason popular trust in the banking system is fallen. I will never give my money to this bank ever again and I hope everyone moves their money out to a bank that has better practices.

I have been with BOA for almost 10 years. In the last few years, things were going well until I struggle financially. Things got better. I was able to manage my accounts better and continue using the e-bill system. Last year, I noticed that I started accumulating a lot of overdrafts. I thought that I needed to go back to controlling my finances better. This month, I starting taking pictures of the e-bills I was sending out because I noticed that e-bills were not getting posted when I requested them to be posted on my account. As a result, after taking pictures, creating an spreadsheet, etc. that some of the e-bills were not getting withdraw from my account as scheduled.

I call the e-billing department to investigate few of these e-bills. The response was that those bills were drafted and they were taking out of the account when the recipient cash the checks. I explained to the representative, that I have been using e-bills for the longest time and I always got the e-bill drafted on the day I schedule them. I was told that because of my previous history, that was not an option anymore. As a result, a check I sent on 01/02/2017, was withdrawn on the 25th (apparently when the other institution cashed the check) but what was interested is that it got cashed on the only day I did not have sufficient funds (23 days after I scheduled the payment). I went back again and I noticed the trend. Bills sent out but not cashed as scheduled.

This is an unfair practice. If I would have not had a financial difficulty in the past, I would have been able to continue using the advantages of what an e-bill payment truly is (send the payment and get it deducted on the day scheduled); instead, I send the payments and it get posted randomly (like the old days of paying bills). Because I lost trust, I closed my BOA account after more than 10 years of being customer.

My husband account got hack. They gave us money 80.00 and didn't not tell us they would take it out. How can they do this? Go in someone account and use their debit and take out. I try to talk to them and told me there nothing I can do. I had pay bills and now I'm going to be late. Things shut off cause they had to take out. I not trusting these banks at all. Now I'm overdrawn 26 dollars cause of this. It's not fair at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

I have been with BofA for several years now and I absolutely hate them. They always charge either a maintenance fee of $12 or overdraft fee of $35. This is absurd! What bank does that?! Oh wait, BofA does. When I was a full time student I had no income and so my bank account would go lower. Now that I'm working, I don't even want my money being put in this bank account cause they would find every possible way to take it. This is **. I'm going to take the remaining money left in my account out and closing this account. I hate BofA for taking my money for stupid fees. DONT USE BOFA.

I joined this bank in November or so. My boyfriend was depositing money via one of the ATMS and the atm malfunctioned. He reported it and told me it was $608 dollars. They placed a claim and only refunded $308 dollars. Spoke with them about that and they said I would have to set up ANOTHER claim. Second screw up was when someone stole my debit card information and used it at an ATM three times back to back. There was also charges for ATM fees for looking at the balance. This all happened at an ATM at a casino I've never been to. I placed a claim for it. It was denied because they did not use the card again. I would say they didn't because after checking the balance and noticing the card was locked AND there was no money left in the account, what would be the purpose of trying to get more money out? Bank still denied the claim. Closing account asap. Reps at every Bank of America I've been to are rude anyway.

I had lower back surgery on November 29, 2016. I've been on disability for a while. I get an email from BofA stating my account was below 25.00, I immediately called in disbelief. A creditor from 1994 put a levy on my account, I'm clueless to know who these people are. Anyway, I called Bank of America and couldn't speak to legal department because they don't allow you to speak with them. Well I decided to go into a branch and mention what the state of California says about levies on disability and Worker's Compensation benefits. The state of California doesn't allow levies on monies that are from a Worker's Compensation or Disability case.

I walked into the bank with all supporting documents as well sent them emails to through the branch manager for forwarding that shows where you can read the laws for California. These incompetent bank bench warmers concluded after a second review of my account that CA does allow levies on Disability and Worker's Compensation payments. Dumbfounded in disbelief I couldn't believe how ignorant these people are. Even after I showed them and gave them a link for verification, they still were clueless. I despise B of A. PLEASE RUN THE OTHER WAY. THERE ARE OTHER BANKS WITH INTELLIGENT EMPLOYEES, B of A falls short.

My son called me in December of 2016 and asked me to help him by making a payment on his Bank of America credit card. I made one payment and figured that was it. On January 6th, I found a debit from Bank of America for $240 against my checking account. I called in to complain and get the charges reversed. After talking with the representative, I decided to help my son's badly overdue credit card by allowing one more payment. I told the representative to make sure this was the last payment and he assured me it was. I should have known better.

Bank of America just debited my checking account again, and when I called in to their fraud department, I found out that someone put my account on auto debit!!! I did not authorize any such payments to them and I am seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer to see if I can do something about this. The representative furthermore told me that he couldn't do anything for me because it is my son's account. So without written or verbal authorization from me, they can just go into my checking account and scoop out money for something that I didn't authorize??? These people are filthy, rotten crooks of the lowest scum form on earth!!!

My spouse and I have a joint savings account in which we maintain a balance of over $10,000. I was encouraged by an employee at my local branch of BOA to switch my account from e-banking to a higher interest checking account. He assured me that I wouldn't be charged monthly maintenance fees, so I did as he suggested. For three months after switching, I wasn't charged any monthly fees, then suddenly this month I was slammed with a $25 fee. I didn't receive any notification about this of course, so if I hadn't checked my online banking statement, the money would've been taken from me without my knowledge.

I called Bank of America, and they weren't able to explain the fee beyond saying that for some reason only my spouse's name, and not my name, is linked to the savings account. This makes absolutely no sense considering that the savings account is listed as one of my accounts when I sign into online banking. This is the 4th or 5th time that I have had to call Bank of America to complain about monthly fees. They always give me a different excuse for why I've been charged, and I'm really starting to lose my patience with them. A bank is supposed to protect your finances, not steal them away from you.

On Nov. 11, 2016 my husband went to Bank America at Northport, Port St. Lucie, Florida where we have had an acct. since 2002 to just cast a $25.00 money order only! He had to insert the debit used to ID him and our acct. He got the $25.00 and left. Several days later he was checking our online accts. and noted $600 taken from our checking acct... the same day as he cashed that money order. We immediately went to the Bank and the manager, Tina ** advised us to contact the local Sheriff Dept. and file a report and they would check out the bank cameras and get back to us. We filed the report with St. Lucie County Sheriff Dept. The Bank manager assured us we would be ok and get our money back.

NOW LISTEN TO THIS ONE... They refuse to put our money back as they said they see my husband's face on the camera at the counter... Ahhh well yes he was there to cash a $25.00 money order so of course you'd see him. THAT WAS CASH NOT DEPOSIT IN AN ACCT. Well she told they only put larger amounts of money in an envelope and it was seen he was handed an envelope!

Now that was a real slick trick on the tellers part while slight of hand went on behind the counter. Had to be... no other way. We are in a position we do not need to pull such a horrid stunt and we are furious they STOLE FROM US. Now as I tell the story I am hearing this happened to other and again the magic number of $600. They have employees who steal and pass on the word how to do it making the customer look like a liar. Bank America after so long we have closed out all from you. YOU HAVE LOST ANOTHER CUSTOMER. SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE. YOU EMPLOY THIEVES IN MY OPINION.

I preordered two Nintendo Switches from Target, retail $299. Bank of America DECLINED the charges due to some concern about fraud and the transactions were cancelled. My credit is excellent, well within my limit. A single Nintendo Switch is only available on eBay now for $525 and above. I got completely ripped off by Bank of America's 'fraud alert for my own good'. Terrible customer service.

I made the mistake of going to BOA after a relocation about a year ago. Should have known after my first experience (delays in processing a mortgage proceeds check to my account) that this collective group of shysters is out to do whatever they can in the way of holding up the processing up funds so that they can earn the interest on the funds while they do so. (This has to be big dollar business for them collectively.)

Recently, they have just held up a Direct Deposit Transfer of funds from a reputable Investment Institution. I confirmed with the investment company that the funds were transferred to the BOA, but it appeared to them BOA was holding up the processing. I called BOA customer service where I waited on hold for 15 minutes before some useless clown answers and says he doesn't see any record of the funds transfer, 'money moves overnight' and 'it should process and reflect tomorrow'. He goes into some dumbassed analogy of a bank account being like a catcher's mitt?? I call the investment group back up and they again state they are not to blame for the delays, but that the bank may have a contract with a clearinghouse holding up the processing of the funds.

I call BOA customer service (sit on hold for another 15 mins), this rep tells me he can in fact see the funds pending, but that it will be 3 business days before they clear the ACH? Apparently BOA has its own idea of what a direct deposit is when it's convenient for them to do so. Have to believe this is unfair and manipulative business practice on their part. Upon resolution of this transfer, I will be closing this account promptly and moving to a Bank that values its customers and doesn't just try to take advantage of them and jack them around for their benefit. Anyone should seriously think twice before working with BOA.

The absolute worst god awful most pathetic excuse for a bank. Constantly disable my card for purchases that I constantly have to verify to them as being mine. Now they disabled my debit card on a Friday night at 8 pm and I've been on hold for 2 hours. Tried calling customer support to talk to any moron that would answer, nope, redirect back to this neverending barrage of the absolutely worst mind-numbing music that just loops without any ending. They claim they have state of the art best protection systems in place blah blah blah, I've still had charges posted to my account that were made by random sources on the internet which I had to dispute with the bank to get refunded. They couldn't stop ACTUAL fraudulent charges from posting, but they block my god damn account despite countless times of me verifying the same damn charges in the past.

Now I'm basically assed out of my own money and can't get it until someone answers which seems like a slimmer chance than an ice cube surviving in hell. I cringe when I have to go into the bank to speak to someone, always some BS about something they didn't tell me about at all upfront but hit me with later knowing that I'm basically stuck to pay the fee because I have no choice when I find out about it. Makes my blood boil every time I have to deal with this bank. It's 10:41 PM on a Friday night and instead of relaxing, I'm signing up with another bank right now and ending this BS before it gives me aneurysms for the never ending BS I keep dealing with by staying with these Dbags.

If I could give this bank no stars I would!!! I opened an account online and was approved and had my paycheck directly deposited the same week. BOA closed my account without notice. SMH! I went to a branch near me and waited for over an hour to see a representative. After seeing a representative she told me that my account had been closed due to FRAUD!

I asked her to explain more in detail because my paycheck had already hit the account and I had no money. The representative then tells me that she would have to give me a number to call and that they will explain to me what is going on. So I called the number and was told that my account was closed due to fraud and that I should open up another account and have my funds transferred to that new account - so I did that. Took my funds 24 hours to hit my account but I then noticed after viewing my account online, I had three account open, new checking and savings account and the old fraud account with a negative balance in the amount of my paycheck.

A week later I had received my paycheck through my employer and immediately deposited into my account to clear that account up. Two days after depositing the check that was returned to my employer my new account, savings account and old fraud account were all closed. I was given no notice about BOA closing my account and had found out because when I went to a restaurant to have lunch and my card was declined, thankfully I had a credit card to pay my check.

I immediately went to BOA for an explanation of why my card was declined when my paycheck was deposited the night before. I was again told that I needed to speak to someone over the phone but this time the BOA representative called and handed the phone to me. I was now told that my account was closed, I asked the representative if he could tell me why and he told me that he does not have to give me an explanation and that BOA or myself could close my account at anytime without notice. So now to this day it has been 6 days and I still do not have my paycheck in my hand. I called and at the moment I waiting on a call back due to a high volume of call. This bank sucks in customer service and have terrible ethics/morals.

I sent wire from my Bank of America account on Nov 03/2016 and today is 01/11/2017 and my 10k is lost somewhere because Bank of America credited someone else account and after a request of recall still didn’t receive it till today. Come on man. It’s been 2.5 months... ** I wish if I can put someone responsible for this headache I am going through...

I called Bank of America to report unusual transaction in my account. The rep that I spoke to promise she would send me out a claim form and stop this happening which she never did. I taught that it's is how they do business, and that I was taken care of. I had Chase when I was in New York. This happen and they sent me to the branch. The branch had me sign up everything right there and fax it. I got my money back. There is no Chase in Gainesville so I had to join Bank of America. The rep should have placed a stop not only send me out a new card. All she did was send me a new card. I am to be faulted too because I should have been paying more attention to my statement but I was figuring that they had stop it but they did not. On my statement it was reading RECURRING Bank of America was paying so when I caught on it was pass the time allotted time to make a claim but I had called and the rep did not do what she was suppose to do.

I am retired on a fixed income. I cannot afford to lose 600.00. They are adamant they don't want to blame the rep who I spoke to. They are blaming me that I should have seen it. If the rep had done her job in the right manner I would not be out of 600.00. They are blaming me for that. They are now just placing a stop on the account for no future payment to AT&T. I think Bank of America customer service is the worst. I work in a Stock Brokerage Firm for 24 years and if I did that I would be faulted. I will look for a different bank in the coming days. Wicked large company just steal from the poor to line their pockets. The reps are in cohorts with them but that rep needs to be called out and fired. She did not do her job well. I hate everything about Bank of America. They have very bad reviews.

I received a phone call from a 1-855 number stating my Bank of America Debit Card had been turned off. I don't even have a debit card through them so I decided I would call to get to the bottom of this. 40 minutes... 40 minutes on hold to talk to a representative who said they have been receiving issues with phishing and thanked me for my call. I offered the number I received the voicemail from to ensure if actually wasn't them and she told me that she did not have that information. While she was polite, I could not imagine being part of a bank that would do this to their customers. As a non-customer, I will definitely refrain to doing business with them in the future and you should too.

They charged me a $12 monthly maintenance fee even though I had maintained the balance of $1500 per day for the year. Their explanation was they charged me because my account was lower than that from my previous statement cycle. These guys are a ripoff. I want to get rid of them and open a new account with some other bank.

On 12/31/16 I went to the atm machine. I went through all the steps and the cash drawer never open so I reported what had happened and was told on the next business day my money would return to my card and that was a lie. I don't understand it. The machine was out of funds or not in order, the machine should had said this or why was it not service that very next day. So now the story has changed. It could take up to 17 days before I will hear anything. This card is a BOA prepaid card with the unemployment office. I guess if I was a regular customer I would not have this problem.

I received an offer from Bank of America to refinance my current mortgage with them. I applied and submitted all the documents. My FICO score falls in the "excellent" range, no debt except for mortgage, my income is high. In spite of all this, they declined my application. I have a feeling they did this because I asked for a different loan officer after the first person acted and spoke rudely to me. BOA has absolutely no other reason to reject my application. They refuse to answer my calls or respond to my emails.

Of course, I could possibly acknowledge a requested feedback that I might have called on that so mentioned date; I might have had called really to protest how poorly Bank of America treated me as for withheld me accountable for money I had not made in any way because Bank of America actually made most indefinitely sure to charge me more than one hundred and twenty dollars in overdraft fees- that being for owning a bank account with no money in it. Besides the point I was not making any money due to hardships in my career decision. Now I had noted to have the bank account closed. So why in any gods' name must Bank of America insist knowing whether it was I or any other person concerned for money that is entirely not there because money that is negative is actually not any money at all.

You can keep the negative one hundred and twenty dollars. Keep it! Thus so far, I cannot imagine in any way why anyone should have ever wanted to keep such an account. Keep it, Bank of America! Ptah-fooey! So, by no other further means, I demand for this despicable establishment cease immediately communicating with me because not only I am financially distraught, unjustly frustrated and emotionally distressed with the Bank of America but I intensely feel this way entirely; of my indifferent stance: I will have not had to have been answering to anyone in any regards for anything that I should ought to have been held responsible for. Therefore I must then allegedly submit an impertinent admission that anyone who might have been anyone of any importance at all might have chosen to make that call that so mentioned day. Is anyone there at Bank of America in anyway satisfied? No, thanks, you are welcome.

I was sent a check 6 months ago. Now I get a letter from the IRS about false interest reported by BOA. They said the money they sent was to pay the amount just to tell the IRS that BOA was right and I was wrong. Nothing but blackmail. If any lawyers look at this send me a emails.

Bank of America's customer service is awful!!! I have been a long time customer for 10+ years and have never been as unhappy with their service as I was yesterday. Their customer service department does not work to keep customers happy. Recently, misc fee's have started impacting my savings account starting around 3-4 months ago. I've contacted customer service each month for explanations and received a different answer each time. Yesterday, I called again to find out why my savings account had another fee charged when I've transferred money into it for that cycle period? I was told this time that the transfer has to be set up automatically now (previously told I just had to just make a $25 minimum transfer each period to avoid fee).

My savings account has been open for 9 years and has never had a monthly maintenance fee associated with it until recently. When I asked why I'm getting charged a fee now, I was told by the BOA Rep that she "thought" it was because I had a waiver that expired??? Let me add... she was not 100% sure why I'm being charged a fee, but thought I would be satisfied with her unsure answer. In my opinion... that was the most ridiculous answer I've heard so far!! I will be closing all my accounts (5 total) and letting everyone I know to not use this banking institution!!! A 1 star rating was required on this review but after yesterday, I would not even give them one!!!

In August of 2014, I opened an account with Merrill Edge. I completed all required paperwork in my bank's adviser/investor office. I sent $110,000 to Merrill Edge. After a few days, I received a package of information which said "Revise and keep for your records". One page had a place for a signature. I signed it and mailed it to Merrill Edge. My 1st statement comes and shows a balance of $110.00. I called banker/investor asking why there was no activity shown. They hadn't received all necessary paperwork he said. Gave me another set of paperwork which I signed and sent to Merrill Edge. Next statement, same thing. Another package of papers were sent, signed, and returned. Next statement, same thing. During all of this I called and spoke with a representative who state that ALL necessary paperwork had been received. Next statement, same thing.

I finally withdrew money and asked for some type compensation since they Sat on my money for 5 months doing NOTHING to invest it, especially since the stock market was doing very well during that time period. Of course, they refused, saying I had not sent in the necessary paperwork. They are the most discombobulated and inept group of people I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. Do NOT make the mistake of trusting any amount of your money to them.

I wanted to wire transfer a small amount of money to an account that I hold at a credit union. I was told there would be no fee for doing this online, only to be told that was wrong and there was a fee but not if I was doing it on my mobile device. First of all, why is there a fee to take my own money out of my bank account!? Second of all, the mobile transfer has a limit of $1000 a day. Third of all, the mobile transfer did not work, because it is not a wire transfer, but instead an incredibly clunky system of using emails and phone numbers and a third party to transfer money. Fourth of all, if my account drops below a certain amount, I have to pay a fee to BOA. Fifth of all, BOA has started closing smaller branches in small cities, which is why I was trying to do a wire transfer in the first place because the nearest BOA is 2 hours from me. I am closing my account as soon as I get my money out.

I wanted to transfer my direct deposit from BOA to another bank. So, I called BOA during Oct 2016 (don't remember exact date), to understand, if there is any maintenance fee. I was told that no maintenance fee, as long as you maintain $25 minimum balance. But, I was charged with $12 for monthly maintenance fee in Dec 2016. When I called BOA today, they said that "I'm sorry about the wrong information been told. I could see a record that you have called in Oct, but I don't have detail. I cannot be able to revert the money". I told that it is not my fault. Even then, same response received. Bank of America should enable email mechanism so that every response is recorded. Words are dissolved in the air and I don't have any proof of what they said in phone.

I am a customer of Bank of America with 3 checking accounts, 9 savings accounts, a credit card, a mortgage and a home equity line of credit. This is being written in 2016 and not 1996 but they somehow think paper statements are acceptable. For all my accounts except the Home Equity LOC I can download PDFs. For some reason, they will not disclose, they refuse to allow download of PDF. They insist on sending paper to my house every month. Even the mortgage is PDF. I have submitted a request every year asking the same question and each year get a no-answer answer. If you want to do business all electronically do not do business with Bank of America.

Last night, I attempted to use the new Apple Pay feature at a BoA ATM to withdraw cash. I just learned that this resulted in the restriction being placed on my account. I called the number on the screen and waited on hold for 40 minutes only to be told that department is closed. The consequences of this... I had no place to sleep last night. I was on my way to check into a hotel which I was not able to do because of the restriction on my account. I was turned away from the hotel but charged a fee for no-show. All I got from BoA is a sorry. I've been a customer for 20 years! I'm am baffled that they would restrict someone's account simply by using a new feature they offer on their ATM!

I will always let everyone know about my horrible experience with Bank of America. In July of this year my ex-husband and honestly I believe a Bank of America employee set up an illegal savings acct linked to my checking and stole money by calling a transaction an investment. I did not think you could open a savings acct online because I was told twice that I had to come in a branch to open a savings acct. But an acct was open and 19500 was deposited into the savings acct. After confirming with my ex-husband and B of A that the funds were legit, I made a withdrawal. Of course after the withdrawal all strange things occurred. B of A would not tell me anything, they just told me they did not have to tell me anything and reversed the transaction in my savings and took money out my checking. This caused my checking to go into the negative. Today I owe B of A around 6000. I reported them to consumer reporting because they definitely reported me.

They ended up telling me a little bit more. But again how can a Bank basically pretend a transaction is legit when it's not. Yeah I know my ex-husband set me up, I'm actually going to sue him as well. My life got turned around when this occurred. I thought when an account is open online IDs are something need to be shown, oh and not to mention appears another person was linked to that savings acct that was set up a completely different name. But again I was not told this until I turned around and complained to consumer reporting against them. You would think they would have called me about this savings account and transaction when it was open.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

For 200 years, Bank of America has helped their customers, client’s and the community meet their financial goals. Bank of America prides itself in its competitive financial offerings and strong investment in the community.

• Services: The banks services span general banking, credit cards, loans and investment products. Their services cater to individuals and business customers.
  • Convenient locations: Bank of America’s global reach serves 47 million consumers and small businesses with 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs.
  • Financing options: The Bank of America loan products includes mortgage, refinancing, home equity, auto, business and more.
  • Credit card products: Bank of America has a suite of credit card choices including cash rewards, travel, low interest rate, small business and cards designed to repair damaged credit.
  • Banking services: In addition to the standard checking and savings accounts the company has offerings for students, online and mobile banking customers.
  • Investment and insurance offerings: The company offers a variety of wealth management opportunities to help customers save for their children’s college or their own retirement. Bank of America also offers insurance products.
  • Financial education: Bank of America is committed to helping its customers understand their finances and provides resources on budgeting and financial planning on its website.
  • Mobile banking: Bank of America's mobile app gives customers 24/7 account access with fingerprint sign-in. Consumers can deposit checks, receive mobile alerts, receive cash back deals and more.
  • Best for Bank of America offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions