1.12/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Looking for a mortgage lender?

4391 Bank of America Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

After waiting 10 minutes to be answered, the BOA rep was as unhelpful as possible. I deposited cash in a new account in August, and it took 3 weeks to receive an ATM card to be able to access the funds. BOA blamed it on the weather. The credit card that was applied for at the same time is still nowhere to be found, and BOA rep couldn't tell me the status... It wasn't her department.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I have been a business customer for 22 years. I deposited a cashier's check for $50K for a car I sold. The person buying it and I both didn't want any problems so we went and got a cashier's check thinking it would help. BOA decided they needed to put a hold on on for 10 days. I spent 3 hours between yesterday and today trying to make some sense of why they needed to hold it. The bank employee even called the issuing bank and they said it was good and it was already cleared. My bank says they haven't heard from them and this is why they put a hold on it.

I asked since I have been there 22 years wouldn't they not take that into consideration. "Oh, we appreciate your business and yes you're a great customer." No returns checks, no returned deposits, etc. but, not good enough to take the hold off. I've had it with BOA. I've heard of nice things about Chase Bank and will be switching to them soon. I know they don't care because I am a small potato to them but, as long as this is how they treat me I'm gone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Please do not bank with BOA. They like to rip off hard working people. Their fees are way too high. My account is currently negative and one of my auto draft payments of $7 hit my account and I was charged $35 dollars overdraft fee. Which don't make any sense because that's a high price to pay for a little amount. They said "well you should have made sure that you had enough in your account to cover it." Well jeez I'm not perfect. We all make mistakes, plus I'm not rich like everyone else, and I'm not going off spending my money like there's no tomorrow. Had to make sure my bills are covered. I forgot!

I haven't struggled like this for awhile and when I started with BOA, anything under $30 they would not charge an overdraft fee, but now it's anything under $1.00 they won't charge. When did that change???? They now charge me for everything. When I first enrolled with BOA, it was free checking and free savings, now they charge me if it's too low or if they have to transfer over $$ from my savings to my checking to avoid low balance. I've been with BOA for over fifteen years now, in the beginning some stuff was worth it ---> not anymore. Where's the loyalty?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I am very unhappy with BoA's approach to cash cashier's checks which are considered according to Regulation CC (Reg CC) of the Federal Reserve, cashier's checks are recognized as "guaranteed funds" and amounts under $5,000 are not subject to deposit hold, except in the case of new accounts which is not me. Well, BoA is clearly not following this regulation. Actually, according to this, BoA is holding funds without a reason. I think this is the end of my relationship with a bank institution that does not care about its clients....Moreover, this check is deposited in my account every month, they could not give me a reason for the hold....

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I have been with Bank of America for 10 years. I have had bank charges in the past for overdraft fees and I understood why it happened. I was shocked by a bank charge of 35.00 for a cover of 1.26. I still don't understand it. I called the bank 800 number to ask why. This guy was pleasant. Told me that my account was low when a check came through. The amount was 1.26. The bank charged me for paying that. I was so upset. When I look into my account it does not show any negative transaction. It just show the charge of 35.00.

I sent an e mail to their customer service inbox to explain what happened. No answer back in 5 days. Guess that's how things are done in their world. I decided that I was robbed. I am done and I went out and opened another checking account at another bank. I respect Bank of America for their rules and fees. I JUST DO NOT AGREE WITH THEM. SO I AM CLOSING MY ACCOUNT WITH THEM. I DO NOT LIKE TO BE ROBBED!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

You will wait Looong to get a Representative and at the end, they will NOT help you. Just say, "Sorry oh sorry, but I can not help you for that." They don't know that you are a human person. If you don't have an account DO NOT OPEN ONE. If you have one I think to be on the safe side just close it.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I was unable to access my account information on the mobile app or full site online. I called several times with no help. I made one last attempt to figure out what was going on as I was shocked no one returned calls or attempted in any way to contact me with any potential issues. I finally reached someone and they simply stated the Bank can close accounts anytime they wish. I used to respect Bank of America but with behavior like this I have reason to claim their unethical business behavior must be in some way based on bias. I still have received no correspondence or anything indicating account closure. This is just plan sad business practice and from such a large institution. If anyone deals with this Bank, I wish you luck. I will be taking my business to an institution that is customer friendly and will treat me with respect and equality and without prejudice.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

BAS has announced they are discontinuing ShopSafe. ShopSafe is one of the true differentiators that BAC has provided. ShopSafe is absolutely the best mechanism to avoid having your credit card number hacked/stolen and then dealing with all the ensuing hassles. I can shop online, with any vendor, and virtually zero risk of having to deal with my credit card number getting exposed. Do you hate the pesky auto-renewals when you sign up for something? ShopSafe easily deals with that by limiting how much and how long charges can be made. Sure, credit cards protect you from fraud, but you have to get a new card, deal with that all the places that you use your card, sometimes the hassle of proving you didn't make the charge, hassles with auto-renew, etc. Without ShopSafe, BAC is just another credit card with nothing special about it. Big mistake BAC - someone made a bad decision.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I just recently deposited a check from my job which is a government job. When I checked my account the next day to see if it was cleared it stated that they had a hold on it for 6 days maybe 10. I called the company and spoke to Janet to see why they would hold it for so long. The check was less than 800. They said they hold checks up to 10 days. This is money I needed for medication and to feed my kids. They would not do anything for me just told me I had to wait the 10 days.

I had this bank for about a year I think it's outrageous how long they would put a hold on someone's check, a government check at that for so long and not care to process it sooner. By the way I also ask to a supervisor. After waiting some time on the phone they told me the supervisor would have to call me back. I waited 3 hours for them to call me back she didn't want to help me at all. I suggest if you are looking to put your money in a bank to go somewhere else. Bank of America is the worst. I wish I could have gave it 0 stars.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have been a BofA customer for 21 years and every month for at least 15 years I have made a single check deposit of over $10,000 into my account from one of my accounts at another bank. And now when I deposit it into the ATM, I get an automatic response that it will be put on hold for at least a week because "check specific information indicates item may be returned". Not once in the 15 years has it ever been returned and the banking information hasn't changed for years so why is there now a hold? When I called my other bank, the funds are already gone, but yet BofA still won't release the hold.

When I called last month a supervisor finally did somehow release the hold after a few days, but this time the supervisor says it's impossible which I don't believe. I can understand a hold being placed if I was a new customer or had a history of having checks returned or if the banking information had changed, but none of this has occurred. I used to love BofA and that's why I've stayed with them for this long, but I would definitely not recommend them now.

Bank of America Company Information