Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Bank of America Reviews

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

For many years I used direct payment method to pay my Bank of America Visa card bills in full. This way my payments are always on time and in full. In November 2019 I called Bank of America customer service and asked the representative to change my direct payment from one bank account to another. The female representative said it was done and gave me a confirmation number. On January 30, 2020 I received a notice from my credit reporting agency, TransUnion. I checked and found that Bank of America had reported that I was delinquent on two bills. Consequently my near perfect credit score plummeted. I was surprised and puzzled. How could that be?

On the same day, 1/30/2020, I called Bank of America to find out what had happened. A male representative reviewed my account and said that the bank had changed policy about direct payment; new customers were not allowed to use that method; I was somehow being categorized as a new customer by mistake. As such two bills were not paid.

Since it was a mistake on the part of Bank of America the representative said he would do three things: (1) Send a notice to the three credit reporting agencies and have them correct the previous info and restore my credit to its original level. (2) Removed the late charges and interests from the bill that was not paid. (3) Switch me to another representative to re-set up my direct payment method. A female rep came to the phone to speak with me and re-set up the direct payment for me. I paid the bill right there to him. He gave me confirmation number for each of the actions. I thanked him and complimented him for being responsible.

Three days later I got three letters from Bank of America. Two were collection letter. The third was asking me for information. On 2/5/2020 I called the number on that letter. A male representative spoke to me. I asked him to listen carefully to what I had to say. I gave him the whole story. He spent quite a while reviewing my account and told me that in November 2019 my direct payment method was canceled. That was why my bills were not paid. This was different from what the other representative told me on 1/30/2020.

In any case, some of the Bank's employees have been incapable and irresponsible. This matter caused me anxiety and displeasure in addition to my valuable time. Furthermore, I feel insulted. Bank of America owes me an apology. Bank of America should better train their customer service representatives. Demanding that they must be careful in handling customers' business. I think private businesses should not act like the United States Congress or city and state governments that can abuse the public, do the wrong things without recourse. Private businesses must be more responsible and accountable.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

My wife and I have been with BoA for over 10 years. Our checking, savings, and credit cards are all through them. They've been pretty reasonable so far. Their treatment of us over the past couple weeks has lost our business forever. I guess there are some federal regulations that require banks to verify their customers' personal information is correct. That's fine. To contact us about this, they sent emails and (apparently) physical letters. Personally, if I get an email or a letter saying our account is in danger etc etc, my scam alert goes up and I ignore it. "If it were that important, they would call."

Well, they didn't. Instead, they froze our account in an attempt (in the words of the BoA rep I spoke with) "to get our attention". As a result of this freeze, about a dozen of our accounts (and counting) had their payment requests returned. Life insurance premiums, mortgage payments, you name it. The past week has been hell as I've spent hours on the phone putting out all these fires - our entire lives centered around this account. So far we've racked up over $100 in late charges and penalties from various accounts. (We're also done with Target, but that's a long story.)

Contacted customer service to see if BoA could do anything to make it right and keep our business. Nope. So we're done - which is a shame, because we've been happy with BoA and, as I've mentioned, we'll have to spend our whole financial life to move to a new account somewhere else. All of this would have been avoided if they had called us. And we would still be customers if they just dropped $100 to reimburse us for the various charges. I guess that isn't enough to keep a "valued customer". If you're considering BoA, beware. They're great, until the day they're not.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

This bank is horrible. I have never done business with them and I never will. They allowed someone using my name to open six (6) accounts in my name. They sent statements which alerted me to the problem. I called to tell them that I had not opened the accounts and the activity was fraudulent. The computer that answers the phone wouldn't connect me to ANY department until I gave them my account number or social security number. Since I had not opened the accounts, I didn't have an account number and since their bank had already allowed fraud to be committed in my name, I did not want to give them my social. I had to take a back door to get to an agent.

It took two (2) hours of being bounced back and forth between customer service and the fraud department to close the accounts. Customer service said they couldn't help, "it was a fraud issue". The fraud department said they couldn't help, "it was a customer service issue." I had to get nasty before anyone would help. I don't know what department finally stepped up but I was told the accounts were closed and had been marked as fraudulent. That was a few weeks ago. Today, I got two statements in the mail for two of the six fraudulent accounts. Apparently, they were not closed.

I called again and wasted a half an hour on hold only to be told that the system was down and the agent couldn't help me. I am going to call my local news agencies (Cincinnati) and advise them how BOA does business. People need to know how terrible this bank is in regard to fraud. My next step is to file a formal complaint with the Attorney General's office. I am also going to find out who was responsible for the last class action suit against BOA and see what can be done about BOA's lack of cooperation in cases of fraud.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I'm a customer since 2003 and recently when I called to Bank of America they gave me incorrect information that cost me money, When I spoke with the supervisor, only said, "Sorry for this wrong information." I will not recommended anymore this Bank. In the last year you have to wait too much time to speak with any associate and they do not provide solution.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I'm well aware most banks make revenue through their fees. B of A is very good at making getting fees from even the financially responsible customers. Basically any time I have a low account balance I will try to deposit checks to avoid over drafting. Conveniently enough most times I do this my check is "held" for over a week so not only do I get over drafted but I dont have that money in my other bank account.

Recently they held a check again after saying this isn't that common (probably the 10th time they've done this). This was before the end of the month, when I was going to use it to pay off my credit card. This practice seems too convenient for them to make a killing off of their customers. I'll be closing my account after using my card's airline miles. The main reason I want a bank account is to be able to manage my money in a timely fashion. They dont offer that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I received a letter from BOA in November to thank me for opening an account with them which I never did. I immediately called in to close this account and it took about 2 hours just to get through to someone. If I'm calling in to report fraud, why would you ask me what my account number is and then asked me what kind of account it is? How would I know?

I got a statement in December saying I am -4.95 for service fees. Here I am thinking maybe this letter was sent out before I called in to close the account. It is now February and I just received another statement saying I am now -$9.90. I've been trying to call in to see what is going on and I feel like they're making it impossible to close an account that I had already reported as fraud. I can't imagine being a customer and having to deal with calling in if I ever need anything. What is the point of the customer service number listed on the statement if it isn't 24/7. I was trying to get through to an associate but the department is closed so I had to google another number for Bank of America. What an inconvenience.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

They literally Stole $305 from my account, blamed it on the payer, even though they collected the funds from the Oregon Dept of Revenue, never credited my account, and had the gall to tell Me to have the state of Oregon file a claim against Them in order to get My money back, which the Oregon Treasury confirmed B of A TOOK from their coffers... NO Integrity, Dishonest, Uncaring. I would NEVER recommend doing any business with this corrupt, unapologetic company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Good afternoon, On October 7th 2019 I returned a vehicle to Aruba Thrifty car rental. Upon inspection I was charged an additional 100 dollars for what they say was a small again SMALL DING in the front fender. I send BofA proof of pictures and all the documents I had. They credited me the money and then this morning they put the 100 dollars back on my Credit Card. I hope you need the 100 because you just lost me, my family, my friends, and any enemies may have. I will make it my mission to make sure nobody uses Bank of America ever again.

The little people lose again especially when your manager slipped and said, “We sided with our bank.” So you must own the bank I was disputing the charge. Listen to my conversations. I was nothing but a gentleman. Till I realized big corporations stick together. Again you charged me a 100 dollars without them even proving I damaged their vehicle. Your manager even said they don't have to prove it. Hmmm. That's interesting. Is it even legal to do. I will be calling the Better Business Bureau. Thanks for nothing. Mark

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Been a Bank of America customer for over 30 years. Was charged a $25 maintenance fee for a checking account that they no longer offer. They did reverse the charge and said I would never receive another charge. After receiving another charge I called 2 have it removed and they refuse to remove it. I can't believe they'll risk for 30-year customer for $25 charge.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

My experience with Bank of America has been horrible. I wouldn’t recommend their establishment to anyone. They charge you multiple fees, their customer service sucks, and they hold your money and charge you overdraft fees for your transactions. I would not recommend opening a business or personal account with them.

Bank of America Company Information