Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

The bankers are very good, honest people you can work with and trust with your money. I have multiple accounts with the bank. Online banking is excellent. Financed my mortgage through them. It was done well and timely.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

This is the best bank I have ever used! Not even one time have they messed up in all the years I have had my account. Customer service is really good and they don't fool around getting you what you need right away. Before BotW I had ridiculous problems with other banks with stupid policies used that didn't make sense. I highly recommend Bank of the West! Do yourself a favor and switch to Bank for West and relax. They're looking out for you.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Bank of the West is a trusted institution with great CD rates over the years. I have two checking accounts with Gold Lines of credit. I love that I can write a check, for an amount over what I actually have in my account and instead of it bouncing Bank of the West covers the checchi (purchase) and it's not considered overdrawn; it's automatically drawn out of the Guild Line. It used to be $2 transaction fee but I think now it's $6, last time I checked. Then I pay interest on the amount. It has been a LIFE SAVER for me. Thank you Bank of the West. Another perk, is that they have several drive through branches SJ Ca. They've been closing the drive-throughs which is difficult when you're disabled. Please don't close them!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

DO NOT GET THEIR CREDIT CARDS. 15 days to post payments, 3 days to post charges, $500 credit limit, and they expect you to spend $1500 in 90 days to get intro bonus. My credit score is 800 and they only give me $500 credit limit. Do the math, not worth it. Please do not expand their customer base.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I have had nothing but trouble with this company. I have only had this loan for a few months. You can never reach a real person, payments will say they can't process online or through the app and will still be taken out of your account but with no payment confirmation, they say they have to refund through a mailed check over a several week period instead of refunding the money to the bank account it came from which they refuse to mail out before a one week waiting period. There is always some problem with paying online and every representative you talk to will have different information that doesn't match what the last person said. Their APR is unusually high. They will sign you up for automatic payments without permission. I thought Bank of America was bad but this place is the absolute worst. I plan to refinance as soon as humanly possible to escape. Don't make my mistake.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

This bank prefers mail in claims which take up to 30 days to process. Very frustrating because we are in a fast pace technology driven society so when your money is held up because of paper mail it’s sad.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I had an RV loan with this company for 12 years. During the great recession, I lost my home and asked them for temporary assistance with my loan. They refused any assistance and were extremely difficult to get through to (no email, no chat option, long phone wait times, bad fax numbers). When I finally paid off this loan, my auto payment sent an additional payment of $1800 dollars of overpayment. This payment was deposited and never refunded.

I tried to reach them to discuss, but they still had no email option, no chat option, long phone wait times (over 30 minutes every time) and bad published fax numbers. So, I had to file a complaint with the BBB and CFPB just to be able to get a response from them. In these complaints, I asked for email contact for efficiency purposes. Instead, they called during business hours when I was not available and kept leaving the same message "Call our 800 number if you need help." As is the definition of insanity, they kept doing the same action, hoping for a different outcome. I kept asking for an email, they kept calling.

This matter was never resolve, and I'm going to have to take legal action next. Bank of the West is the worst banking institution I've ever done business with. for 12 years, every time I would try to call them, their message would always say "We are experiencing unanticipated high call volume, we apologize for the delay." This is just an excuse for inadequate staffing. What business these days doesn't offer email or chat options to reach support? Bank of the West. Their dismal reviews here are an example of the atrocious service most people experience with this institution. I will never do business with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Bank of the West keeps saying I owe them money on my loan but I have made every payment on time and then some. I have all the receipts and have even sent them to them but they never credit my account and it shows on my end they cashed them. I have tried to make online payments and they have don't go through. I tried to set up automatic withdraw and they said I can't do it with my bank but then randomly pull the money out. They have destroyed my credit even though I have made every payment on time and I can prove it but no one will investigate it. I call every day and get told someone will call me or they are looking into it but nothing ever happens. Most incompetent and unprofessional bank.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I paid off my loan early by 1 year and I was never more a few day past my payment date so they added 25.00 every time. Well they put this money into a special employee savings account. At the end of your loan you have to pay every 25.00 that was add into this account before they release your title. They never tell you this until the loan is paid in full.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I have a lease with Bank of the West for my 2016 FORD F-150, I have not been able to re-register it here in the state of Kentucky, not due to any fault of my own, Bank of the West has failed to renew paperwork with the state and pay back fees due to the state not related to my truck. So now the state of Kentucky has put a block on any renewals with any leases with The Bank of the West, I have spoken to a AVP with the bank with no results, and now she refuses to return any of my calls. So I have paid off the lease, and the residual via an ACH payment and they claim I have not, so now they have 31k of mine and not applied it to the lease and the residual and send me the title so I can transfer it to me and register it. Never again will I do business with this bank.

Bank of the West Company Information