1.52/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

216 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 12, 2018

We searched and found a great rate for an RV Loan at BOTW (Bloomington) where we live in MN. Logan and Jarod were outstanding in handling our business - professional, personable, and found the answers we needed to move ahead with our business; we are nothing but highly satisfied with this branch.

Original review: June 5, 2018

** at Bank of the West at 505 Montgomery St in San Francisco was very rude and asked inappropriate personal questions. He also demanded that I tell him names of previous banks where I banked in the past and where I currently bank. When I refused to answer, stating that this information has nothing to do with my banking at Bank of The West, he said he will close my account and hung up.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They keep changing the website and confusing customers. The HELOC loan statements do not show balance forward after each transaction, just the starting and ending balance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Bank of the West is the worst bank I have ever had, they charge fees for everything and steal money from you, I added all deposits for the yr and everything that has ever been deducted and I have over $400 missing money unaccounted for. I checked this because my account was always being charged NSF fees when I had enough money to cover costs. They are far worse than Wells Fargo; I have stopped my direct deposits and closing out my account! Their customer service is horrible, they don't care about their members, nor care to investigate any issues you are having. Do not sign up with Bank of the West!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I opened a new account a couple of weeks ago and I had filled out my direct deposit with my employer but it did not process this payday which was the 4th of May. They sent me a live check and I used the mobile app to deposit. I was lead to believe when I had asked an agent that it would not be a problem and it would be available in 2 to 3 business days. Well then I was told that it was now going to be available on May 17th. I got paid on the 4th. I have 4th stage metastatic melanoma, which is spreading rapidly. I have a new medication that is waiting to be picked up and that is very expensive called **. I have no money to be able to get it and I need to buy groceries, pay bills, give kids school lunch money... etc. The teller at the branch was nice and tried to help but no luck.

I have got to have this money. I live paycheck to paycheck and by the time I get this available, it will be my next paycheck. I have no way to provide to my family but by this paycheck. I know there is someone that can release this but they refuse. I am a hardworking mother and grandmother and I have been told 3 different stories. I was told it would be available in 2 to 3 business days to you will have 200 available on Saturday to now it is May 17th before you can get any of your money you work so hard for. I have bills that have to be paid. I am just so upset that I would be treated this way and be given so many different answers. I will go to Facebook, Twitter, and every social media site I can. How sad this is!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: April 24, 2018

Called Bank of the West customer service to cancel this monthly fee, they refuse to do it. They say go online and do it yourself. Bad customer service, bad attitude, just another way for rip off banks to take your money.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Applied for $650,000,000 agricultural division loan. Provided major application package. Eight businessmen partners. New ranch corporation holding company in new Mexico. VP agriculture reviewed package and offered to provide an equity partner for downpayment. VP making loan asked me for the CEO's job and he was making the loan. Loan verbally, prelim approved. Several ranches and cattle under purchase contract by group, CEO did not get the top job-denied. This is illegal for banker to make a loan and get a job at same company. VP banker no job so he changed all the loan terms previously offered ruined loan. SEC and bank regs say this is illegal. It cost our group the whole project as critical time was lost. Reported crime to OCC and bank denied all twice. Criminal charges should be file here. Major damages in millions. Prosecution here? Bad experience trying to get OCC and SEC help.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My business, which did bank at Bank of the West (BofW), was fraudulently scammed in an equipment purchase by a business banking at another US bank. When the fraud was disclosed to the banks, BofW was slow and seemingly unconcerned in pursuing the matter. The other bank could not talk to me as I don't bank there but I was told by them that BofW needed to contact them to resolve the issue. In frustration at the lack of communication between the banks, I filed complaints with the FDIC and CFPB as well as AGs and finally got to talk to someone at the other bank who told me that they would have refunded the money (1000's) if the Bank of the West had responded to their request for a letter of indemnity.

Bank of the West denies this and after 4 months they have stopped communications... dropped the ball! So now I have 2 choices: start filing more complaints or give it up. In BofW's defense, I have to say that most of the Branch workers were courteous, but I was put off by a few managers (and one with rudeness) and no one did anything without a lot of pushing from my end. And both banks still cannot agree on how it was handled (or actually not handled!). I have been in touch with others who were caught in the same scam and all were refunded their lost money... none of them banked at BofW. I no longer trust my money with Bank of the West.

Original review: April 7, 2018

In November of 2017 I accidentally overdrew my account. We paid the fees, and I went to my online banking profile, where I was able to opt out of overdraft protection. Problem solved... until February of 2018 when my account was once again overdrawn and hundreds of dollars in fees were charged. Checking my online banking profile, I discovered my account was once again set to receive overdraft protection. Once again, I turned it off.

Upon meeting with the branch manager, I was told that the only thing he could see was that my overdraft protection was turned off today. When pressed, he said it was true that I had not even logged into my account today, but I had logged in on April 4th, and sometimes it can "take a couple of days" for changes to take effect. Convenient. I logged in on April 4th to see whether a check had cleared, and nothing else. He wouldn't even consider that there may be a problem with their system. In so many words, he accused me of lying. As soon as I get my direct deposit transferred, I am closing my account. Keep an eye on your overdraft protection. They have already settled one lawsuit for fraud related to overdraft fees.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I will say when you talk to Bank of the West employees at the branch or on the phone they are helpful and very nice people. However to be able to reach them is a total nightmare. You have to follow their automatic system witch lack some of the question you have. Mine was about a loan already paid off. It took a long long time to be able to get the info.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have always had positive experiences when dealing with BOTW branch banking representatives. They are always friendly and efficient. I cannot say that about their telephone banking reps however. Most of them appear to be very young females who are inexperienced at customer service, ill-equipped to deal with the public, and can become very arrogant and bossy if you have a complaint. The last one I dealt with had no tact and did not know how to handle an unhappy, dissatisfied customer. She talked down to me as if she was in charge of everything, the customer is always wrong, and I was a child who needed to be put in their place. I finally had enough. I ended up hurling the "b" word at her and hung up. I must have gotten blocked because I was unable to contact another telephone banking representative.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have only had exceptional service with friendly, professional help from everyone at Bank of the West. They always go to bat for me when I get scammed or ripped-off. They are fast in their investigation and have recovered money I thought was gone. Hundreds of dollars have been returned to my account when someone got my number and used it for numerous Uber rides in England. That was one of many times they helped resolve problems. I have read some of the bad reviews written about the bank. I can only assume that those people's standards are too high for anyone to meet. They have only exceeded in meeting my needs and were super friendly and professional doing it. They are my best bank yet.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am a small business owner in Illinois. I recently found that an ex-employee had gained access to our business checking account. He purchased a car in Oct or Nov. 2016. He called in his car payments to BANK OF THE WEST and gave them OUR BUSINESS account info to pay his car payments. BOW was able to access the phone recording where this person states he is a signer on the account. I also sent them the bank signature cards they requested from our bank. Now BOW won't return my calls and states their "investigation dept." has closed the case. I just attempted to contact them again and was informed there is NO investigation dept. I have filed charges in Illinois against the ex-employee. BOW will not cooperate in providing a name and contact number for the State's Attorney to speak with them. This is so illegal and unethical! STAY AWAY FROM BANK OF THE WEST.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

After having banked with four other financial institutions, I feel I am of the informed opinion to unequivocally state that: this bank is by far the worst I've yet to encounter. Here's why (not exhaustive): The bankers are rude across the state of California (irrespective of my consistent six figure balance- I can only imagine how badly they treat clients with a lower balance). There are lots of fees, many of which are unbeknownst to a client (unless you actually read the 56+ page contract). Horrible telephone customer support. Very limited hours of operation compared to other banks. The various branches aesthetic resembles that of the DMV (and have the same impersonal, bureaucratic, and unwelcoming vibe). Complaints are never addressed. I could quibble on and on but, the point is: look elsewhere, this bank is atrocious.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

For the past month I have been trying to close my bank account with Bank of the West. I have contacted all businesses that I had direct deposit with to let them know that the account is closed and gave them all my new bank info. However something is definitely wrong since I'm still receiving bank statement from Bank of the West and the direct deposits are still being deposited when the account is supposed to be closed. I have been in 3x to find out why the account is still open and they all claim that it is closed yet no one has or will give me any form of confirmation that the account has in fact been closed.

With all the ridiculous amount of fees this bank demands it doesn't surprise me if they keep it open on purpose just so the account will accumulate fees. All my debits cards have been turned off. So once again I have no choice but to deal with incompetent bank reps. On my day off. Think this time I'm going to seek legal action for I don't know any other way to get through to them to CLOSE all accounts.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

In preparation for my 2017 tax return, I ran across a year-old file with an account number and debit card, along with a statement with $120 remaining in my account with BOTW. I call them (spoke to a rep then supervisor named "Latrell") and after giving them all the information about me over the phone, they state they cannot help me. No other reason given beyond that. After giving you my social? My business' name? Fine, I moved on to another financial institution and operations without your bank, but I'm not giving up on $120 now, out of principle. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

BOW added a "new" $15 fee to my 12 yr old $0 fee money market. So on Jan 31 2018 I changed the money market account to an any deposit checking account at the clerk's suggestion. Today in my balances I see I was charged $13 dollars for that last January business day, $13 dollars! I am on my way to my local branch to close the new account. Running some kind of BOW ripoff okie dokie game here? I am a senior, there are laws to protect old people like me from financial abuse like this!!! Snakes! Not only am I looking for a new bank but they are losing my family business account of $220K. Enjoy the stolen 13 bucks because it's the last dime you will see from us.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

To my knowledge I never signed up for a Gold Line account, but one was created for my regular checking account. There were fees and deposits done automatically, which I didn't know was happening because I'm not that attentive to monthly banking activity. My needs are simple. As a result, I ended up losing several hundred dollars. I think this was one of those situations where you will automatically get this account unless you specifically say you don't want it. I remember seeing it and deciding I didn't want to sign up for it, but I imagine I needed to decline it. This is a dishonest practice, in my opinion. It lacks transparency and takes advantage of people.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Today was the second time (different locations) in a month a Bank of the West atm has taken my cash without posting the funds. The first time I went through the claims department and later received a letter basically saying they didn't have my money. There's no other process in place for investigating, so I just have to hope they don't steal my money again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I had opened my new checking account with Bank of the West in August and I believe they took advantage of me because I was new. So what happened was I used PayPal to pay for a few items. When I say PayPal that is the debit card I used thinking it would draw money from my PayPal credit account which I also have. I quickly learned I had my PayPal card in sync with Bank of the West.

Everything I had just bought was being sent to Bank of the West for payment which I did not have money to cover the expenses. Seeing I did not have the funds in my account they charge 35 dollars each time PayPal would send a bill to them to collect the payment. PayPal keeps sending copies of the same bills so I got charged 35 dollars for any resubmitted bills also. Not only do they charge the overdraft fee they also charge 70 dollars for each bill they send back.

I was charged 600.00 for one month of fees. I never saw this coming. When you open a bank account with Bank of the West you automatically have this attached to your account. I am living month to month and really don't have an extra 600.00 to be paying fees with. I called to speak with the manager of the bank who was not helpful. Had a cocky attitude as she made fun of the situation. If I could close the account I would but not until the negative balance gets paid off. This bank is not a bank to trust or rely on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

For 7 months I have been sending in payments on a loan at or near the beginning of each month. Payments are due on the 14th of each month. The Bank of the West, so far, waits until 1 or 2 days prior to the scheduled payment date to process these funds, cheating me out of interest credit. This, in my opinion is a lack of integrity on the part of the Bank of the West. I would appreciate either an email or phone call from Bank of the West with regard to this issue.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bank of the West is one of the worse banks I ever dealt with. They sign me for overdraft protection but what they don’t do is just that they charge the account every time but they don’t pay for the charge that came to the account. And when you call them they have no answer. Another thing, I was going to vacation. I called them 3 days in advance. Give them the date and time I am leaving town. When I got to my destination they froze my account. It took two days of phone calls before I was able to use my card. Wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Made it my day start all bad. I went to deposit my money on Sat morning 09/23/2017. Was out there for 15 min. The teller seen me when depositing the money. Out of nowhere the ATM machine kept saying in process. 5min before opening I told them what going on. The teller just told me give it some time. When they open I told them what was going on instead of helping me they help 3 customers before me and I was the first person there. And on top of that made me late for work 40 min. But what upset the most was that they still wanted me to come back in one hour. Then she told I would have till Monday after my money card getting stuck there. They didn't bother to look into it. Because of that I didn't have no money because they had to do a claim and I wasn't able to get my car. But to collect the overdraft you guys are good but when come to helping you guys to take forever. I’m really disappointed with this bank. Smh.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Since becoming a customer with this bank last year, I have noticed that there have been repeated discrepancies involving what is reported as my balance (both available and current) and what is later changed to show an overdraft. For instance, I closely monitor my balance due to budgetary restrictions. I not only keep a running balance based on my records but I will check online and at the ATM site where I make my withdrawals to be sure I have enough that is "available" (the actual amount) to withdraw so that I am not overdrafted.

More than once, I have noticed the next day that the online system will suddenly show I am overdrafted after a withdrawal, when prior to the withdrawal it showed I had enough. This results in a deficit as well as a substantial surcharge. Even after I have called the bank, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what they are doing to have this occur. When there have been outstanding checks or other debits that have not processed, I have deducted those from the balance so that can't be the answer. The only thing I can surmise is the bank is doing something with the reported balances as a deliberate way of obtaining the surcharge fee. Never, in all my years banking, have I ever observed this type of practice. This occurred yesterday, and I have decided to switch banks because I can no longer trust them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I purchased a boat back in 2007. The financing was done by Bank of the West. I have had no problems with them until I paid off the loan in late July 2017. After waiting until about 15 August 2017 to receive the title I called the bank. I was told that all paperwork required had been sent out but they would send another copy. I waited until around the 27th of August 2017 and received the title for the trailer from Virginia DMV. I called customer service again and was told again all the paperwork was sent out but that the title was held by the dealer I purchased the boat from 10 years ago. I knew that was bull but told the customer service person I would contact Lynnhaven Marine and inquire.

I called them and as I expected they informed me that the title is always held by the lien holder which was Bank of the West. I called BOTW back and got a different person who again stated that all the required forms and paperwork were sent out to me on 11 August 2017. He stated that he will rush send out more copies but it would probably take about another 10 to 20 days for me to receive them. By the way I had him confirm they had my correct home address as I have been living here since 1988. He also stated BOTW could not be responsible for the time it takes the USPS to deliver mail. I am in the process of trying to sell my boat but can't complete the sale until I get the title.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

There is NO security, day or night. My closest branch is practically in the middle of a homeless encampment. So it is a little scary. Super happy with the behind-the-counter staff. The tellers are very, very friendly and nice but the bank officers, not so much.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Today I made what I thought was a simple transaction from the drive-in window transferring money from one account to another... After the transaction, the teller returned the tube with no paperwork or receipts. I ask her for the transaction receipts and her response was to give me balances on both accounts that were involved in the transaction. I ask her for receipts showing both the withdrawal and the deposit into the corresponding accounts and I was told she didn't know how to print those receipts. I asked her how long she worked in the bank and her response was 3 months. I asked her the question assuming she didn't know how to perform the receipt transaction and I told her I have copies of previous receipts showing the information that I requested... Deposit receipts. I proceeded to go inside the Bank of the West building to talk to the teller and was told the manager of the bank would discuss the situation with me...

I was ask to wait while the manager took care of another customer. When the manager appeared the explanation given to me was that was the method or process she taught her tellers and the method she was going to use and if I needed a receipt I was to ask for a receipt. The bank would do a "screenshot" of the account and use this print as the deposit receipt. I ask her if this is the method she uses for all her customers and her reply was "yes" so access to the funds were available immediately.

My statement to her regarding this method was without a deposit receipt was no proof that any transaction has taken place simply because I do not use account balances to quickly reconcile if the money was actually transferred to the accounts. She discussed that most of her customers banked "on line" and trust the system. They apologized for the inability to present me with deposit receipts and tried to leave me with the impression that I should trust the computer system.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My response to the Relationship Banker concerning a home equity line of credit... have been going through this revolving door for months: You say the appraisers will be here in a few days. Then you say you need more paperwork. I supply paperwork. You say all is well, the appraisers will be out in a few days. Now you say you need more paperwork. Let me talk with my wife, but this has become silly. Probably we will just forget the whole thing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I love my branch & employees, Castro Valley, Ca. I put the bank itself in with all the banks. No longer a real branch manager who makes credit decisions. They're just a title. The Back office is the Iron Curtain between old way & this new way. Some of this evolved out of the 2008 US "E" collapse. And we can thank Wall Street Financial Inst. & Congress for the over correction.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

They are wonderful and even know my name when I enter and say "hello". Their accounting and advice have been great. They send out notices when CDs are due and get you the best rate.

Bank of the West Company Information