3.46/5

268 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

Bank of the west website has been down for over 7 days, and you cannot get through to their customer service- wait time of over 1 hour, and as your on hold for about 35 minutes, you get a voice message that their system is overloaded and it disconnects you. What is going on? Why haven't they alerted their customers?

This have been about 1 week, (7 days) no message even posted on their website, but clearly there are issues, and serious ones.

I spoke to a local branch B of West representative and she indicated her frustration and said "yes we are having serious problems and it's nationwide". With that being said shouldn't we have been alerted? If you go on their website nothing about this, nothing, it's like business as usual, but its NOT. Again, you cannot contact customer service because message indicates over 1 hours wait time, then into the hour it hangs up on you.

Original review: July 15, 2019

So I'm on top of my accounts especially when they're low, I checked my balance before every purchase but I don't know what happened and I saw I was pending -8 so I quickly before cut off deposited $75 in thinking it would cover any overdraft and that would be fine. I was wrong. My bank statement shows that the deposited money cleared and AFTER they charged me a 175 overdraft fee. Because the 8 were all $1 payments. So they gave me 5 $35 over 5 $1 payments. But they also went on ahead and waited another day to finish processing things because they only charge 5 fees a day. So then the next day I'm hit with 70. And this morning another random $35.

But looking at my money going in and out minus the overdraft fees I should be positive. They never needed to front money for me for anything except these fees. My total right now is -$256, but how much sense does that make if they charged me -275 in overdraft fees. My balance should be negative more than the fee amount had I actually gone over. Until now I spoke very highly of them but this is crazy. I feel like the bank robbed me. Needless to say I don't even have any money now. And have no idea how I'll eat or pay bills. I can't believe that this is something that could actually happen.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2019

If at all possible, do NOT do business with this bank. I have been with them over 15 years and finally today could not take it any longer and switched banks. Such a pain and hassle, moving all of my direct deposits, automatic payments, etc. but that is far less than the hassle I experience with Bank of the West on a daily basis. A mobile app that NEVER works, ATM's that are USUALLY down and horrid customer service. Wish I had switched years ago.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Potential fraud activity on account and cannot speak to anyone. Cannot access online banking via laptop or mobile and one-hour plus hold times only to have the call terminated by the BOW online system. Branch workers are useless at resolving this issue. I've been with BOW since they acquired Commercial Federal and due to lack of customer service and fees have slowly moved all my business, mortgage and auto accounts to other banks. I'm done with this bank.

Original review: July 14, 2019

After 45 minutes being on hold. I'm told reason why I am kicked out of online banking is because my bank account was compromised!! Someone in Georgia hacked my account! I'm told I need to go into my bank and close my account!! Why wasn't I emailed or called when this happened? I'm 2 days away from having to fly to La!! I go online and read complaints that a lot of people aren't able to get on their online banking! What the hell is really going on?? So much for my payday since I have direct deposit but yet I have to close the account and will be stuck in LA! I'm livid!??? If the bank cared they would have called me or emailed me! Something fishy going on big time!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: July 12, 2019

There is now a prerecorded message, (Regardless of what time you call), that they're "experiencing higher than usual call volumes". This is FALSE. What they mean is they've cut their Customer Service so much there's no one there to take your call. They don't care about the customer. I was on hold for over one hour and finally when the rep answered they cut me off. I phoned again and waited another 30 minutes. My account is locked due to me putting in wrong information. I called them at 5:00 am and got exactly the same message. I am now on hold for another hour. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS BANK. THEY DON'T CARE. As I write this I am listening to the same stupid message. I was forced to give 1 Star. I would minus Stars if I could.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have been a loyal customer of Bank of the West for over 7 years. I currently have my savings, checking and RV loan with Bank of the West. In July of 2017 I started a divorce and my spouse failed to make a payment on my RV. I contacted the bank and caught up the missing payment. I have requested they remove the late payment ding from my credit report, based on past and current payment history however they have refused.

To add insult to injury they billed me $50.00 for the late payment in May of 2019, nearly 2 years later from the late payment. I just spoke to the customer service department and was told the 50 fee was from a late payment in 2016 and one in 2017, funny they never took it out or notified me of the due bill until I made an extra payment, in fact she said they would usually just bill it at the end of the loan but since I made the extra payment they took it out. HMM. I again requested they explore removing the negative mark from my credit report given my loyal patronage and payment history. I was told that cannot be done legally.

Well Lexus did it, CitiBank and Chase did it, once they were apprised of the reason the payment was late and once I was never late again. SO I ask, why bank with a corporation that does not care about the loyal customer? I know I will not bank with them again, they can rest assured I will close my accounts and refinance my RV loan with a lender who puts the customer first. BE cautious with this lender and bank.

Original review: June 26, 2019

This company returned a small check from Capital One and charged me a fee as well. In trying to figure out the situation I was treated like I was at fault and they refused to even attempt to work with Capital One. Basically the Bank of the West made a mistake and ran something incorrectly and refused to own the mistake. They cost me and Capital One more time than any of this was worth. The Bank manager did not even care that I was leaving the bank. This bank charges fees for accounts and offers nothing in service that others don't have. Choose a different bank if you can.

Original review: June 15, 2019

My home was damaged May 5th in Wichita, KS. My insurance company sent my claim check in my name and Bank of the West. Instead of endorsing the check and giving it back so I could start the process of the roof replacement they took the insurance check and kept it. Said they would send another check in 10 to 14 days. After waiting and waiting on what is "my money" not theirs I called. They wanted information I had already provided to an employee who went on vacation and apparently they couldn't access her email. They wanted the licensed number to the roofer and his quote. They were going to send the check directly to him. My roofer has been doing this work for over 20 years and has never had a mortgage company do this. So what happens if I decided on another roofer, or this one takes money without doing the work.

So it's my money, I pay insurance not the mortgage company, I'm not required to use a license roofer, if I want I could do it myself. I also don't need them to pay my roofer when I'm quite capable of making out the check. Then if there is anything left over they couldn't tell me where that money was going. This sounds really shady. The bank manager said this was just their policy. Well it wasn't 9 yrs ago when we replaced previous roof. They weren't even on the check we had a roof in 7 days. I'm over a month and a half and still no roof, because apparently I'm not allowed to handle my own dang money. I will be spreading the word to everyone I know. Luckily my son-in-law & daughter are real estate agents and can refer people not to do business with them. I don't even know how this is legal.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have had this happen a few times. I use my card and put my balance into a negative. Because there is not a branch or close ATM I immediately use Zelle to send money from one account to cover the amount. I receive an email from Bank of the West stating my deposit was made and in zelle it shows date sent and date deposited. However it still shows up as pending instead of posting at midnight with my charges that put me negative in the first place. They show my deposit as going in a whole day later there for charging me OD fees. When I call they reverse them BUT tell me zelle it’s guaranteed. Well when I get an email stating it’s deposited and it shows in my acct I expect it to cover the charges for the same damn day. I have never had this happen at any bank other than Bank of the West. I can’t imagine how many people they do this to who don't dispute. They are stealing our $ so they can accrue interest in their holding accts. What a joke.

Original review: June 6, 2019

The payment process is a joke....no online payments, wait time to make a payment is a joke, also who puts out a payment book anymore???? I made a payment and the lady on the other end couldn't find it. I have nothing nice to say so I will leave it at this. DID NOT WANT TO GIVE IT ONE STAR!

Original review: June 5, 2019

Good Sam Finance Center is a specialized division of Bank of the West. As a Good Sam member, I contacted the Good Sam Finance Center to refinance our 2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W. The process started out well with the online application and almost instant approval, but it went downhill from there. Ricky ** is the most unresponsive individual that I have tried to work with in many years. He does not answer his phone, nor does he respond to e-mail or voicemails. Natasha is the worst customer service representative that I have dealt with in many years and she has no business dealing with the public. Jim ** is the Supervisor and he also doesn’t answer his phone or return phone calls.

Because I couldn’t reach Ricky or Jim, and Natasha was so unhelpful, I left messages for three other people and never got a response from any of them. This process has been dragging on for two weeks! This company is so bad, that I am reconsidering my relationship with the Good Sam Club, as I can’t believe you would tarnish your reputation by affiliating with this type of bank. Bank of the West needs to rethink their whole RV finance division, as I would never consider doing any future business with Bank of the West after this terrible experience. How they manage to stay in business with this kind of customer service is beyond me, but they will never get any future business from me.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This year alone. 4 debit cards screwed up in ordering and mailing to me. Yesterday, they managed to lose a deposit of almost 3k from my acct. It's been over 24 hrs and the error has not been corrected. What is wrong with this bank?! I have yet to receive a call from the branch group either. I'M DONE.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bank of the West recently Started Charging a $3.00 Fee for paper statements on checking accounts. I have two Accounts and didn't notice the reoccurring monthly fee for four months so it cost me $24.00. I asked a teller about the fee and they told me I have to go online and chose electronic statements only to avoid the fees. I have since done that but it got me thinking. I was not adequately notified of the new fee and it cost me 24.00. If Bank of the West has 1,000,000 accounts and they started charging $3.00 a month each then they made $3,000,000 the first month and if on average it takes 4 months for people to realize the fee is there that is $12,000,000 dollars they have stolen from their customers through deceptive practices.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have banked with this bank for several years. Over the past couple, employees have left and new employees have arrived. They are rude and uncaring. They made a mistake on a cash deposit (not posting to my account) and thank goodness I had the receipt, because they were fighting me on their error. This caused overdraft charges, of which only a few were returned, because it was "past the limit"!! I met personally with the bank manager who wouldn't do anything. Just yesterday I pulled up to the drive-through to make a deposit and was told that there was one person ahead of me. After waiting about 10 minutes I went into the bank and there were 2 employees doing absolutely nothing. Their hours of operation are bad also. They close at 5 and 5:30. Who can get to the bank by then if they work. Finally, doing mobile deposits is the worst. My paycheck is held 2-5 business days before I can use the funds. I'm shopping for a new bank right now.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I recently changed banks from USAA to Bank of the West. I was pleased with my last bank and never had any issues but had to change over due to there not being any USAA banks nearby. I have to admit I didn't do my research when choosing this bank and now I regret not doing so. I recently withdrew money from Bank of the West while on my way to my duty my location and later found out I had a pending transaction which over drafted the account. Bank of the West obviously capitalized off my mistake and chose to backdate previous transactions to after after the incident which left me with 350 in fees. I realize this may not seem like much but being a single father it's a lot. I'll be shutting down this account after I pay it and moving on.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Liars and thieves! We took out an RV loan 4 years ago and needless to say are still accruing interest on a fixed loan! When asked why we got a bunch of run around, now we want to pay it off and we have to jump through hoops while we are still being hit with interest! I'm ready to get an attorney!! Who's with me!? This is robbery at its best, and it needs to stop now!

Original review: March 25, 2019

We close over 100 transactions a year and this is the first bank that made our BLACKBALL list. They blatantly lie to their customers and dealerships. Unless they are the dumbest run organization in the universe. POSSIBLY BOTH. They should be shut down. Look Out!

Original review: March 24, 2019

There are purchases I didn't make, withdrawals I didn't do, double charged on all services, and being fully ignored when I complain. I really feel a class action suit needs to start asap!!! So I'm in, any other customers want in???

Original review: March 8, 2019

Do not borrow money from this bank. They don't care one bit about their customers. I made that mistake and took out a loan from them to buy a boat. The first 4 years or so I paid extra on the note each month. I ended up getting kind of lazy on my payments because I had paid so far ahead on the loan. After about 10 months or so I was no longer paid ahead on the loan and got a call from the bank to let me know. I mailed a payment that day. A couple weeks later I got another call saying that I still hadn't made the payment asking me to pay over the phone. I told them no that I had mailed a payment.

Over the next couple of weeks I got about three calls a week harassing me about the payment. I continued to tell them I sent the payment. I finally gave in and stop payment on the first check and sent them another. I called to confirm that the mailing address was correct (I was using the address sticker that came with my payment book). The address had not changed.

Each week for the next 6 weeks or so I continued to get harassed by them 3 or 4 times a week about the payment because somehow they never received the second check that I had sent. It had already cost me $20 to stop payment on the first check they never got. I finally got fed up and asked them for the pay-off amount and told them I was tired of the harassment and mailed a third check for the balance of the loan. It took 22 days for that check to be processed all the while I am getting harassed 3 or 4 time a week and taking negative hits on my credit rating. Here is the kicker... on the same day they processed the pay-off check they also processed the second check I had sent them 6 weeks earlier.

Finally, today I spoke to a gentleman who actually cared and help me resolve the issue. He was going to process the refund for the second check and remove the negative hits to my credit rating. The phone call today was 50 minutes long. So, even though I was never late I was repeatedly harassed, treated like a dead beat, had negative hits on my credit, spent close to 12 man hours on the phone on hold mostly, spent $20 for a stop payment, and now they owe me money. What a freaking joke. Throughout all of this I talked to one person who actually provided customer service the way it should have been handled. Every other person I spoke to over these 90 days couldn't be bothered to help. I thanked the guy today who helped me and told him that if my home was getting foreclosed on and if I didn't have a penny to my name that I would not take a loan from this bank. The way they do business is despicable.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I opened account at Bank of the West. I deposited money into the bank and I had gotten debit card issue and I made some applications in regards to my personal affairs my insurance and they made the first mistake to electronically allow funds to be taken out of my account when I did not authorize it. When I went to the bank and explain the issue they realize that it was not my fault. It was the electronic Bank's fault so they reversed it but they continue to charge overdraft and continue to apply certain payments to my account when there was not enough to cover. I've had fraudulent activity in my account done to my account and with the information submitted there was no communication.

I was talked to horribly over the phone. No communication at all. I had didn't have a chance to validate my information and they just charged off my account and no one will talk to me. I can hardly get anyone on the phone. Even the banker at my Branch he doesn't even know the name of the person he talked to. I keep getting the runaround. They made all kind of assumptions. When I spoke to him over the phone in regards to my claim they chart clothes that they made a decision on my account without informing me and I feel that they should have had my back. What was done to me was horrible. It wasn't a lot of money but it was my account and they turn their backs. I'm going to get a lawyer and I'm going to find and I'm going to get clarity and my money back.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Phone app glitchy. Tried to do Zelle money transfer, kept not going through. Tried again. Both transfers went through (duplicate). Hit with overdraft charge. I transferred back one of the errors. Luckily they referred they reversed fee. But they also reversed one of the error initial duplicate transfers without forewarning or my permission and charged me another fee! For what? Omg. Ludicrous company. Closing account.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Had a loan through Bank of the West, was declared total loss on 1/22/19. Insurance waited until 2/8 to receive a letter of guarantee. Also took them 14 days to issue the information needed to process my Gap insurance. I have been told those checks have been issued by both companies. Bank of the West states it is possibly in processing. May take up to 30 days!! In the meantime they continue to harass and ask for payments. State it will back date to date of loss. I have not issued a payment due to fact if they cannot issue a credit from insurance. I can only imagine how long to get a refund.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had a car loan I paid off in November 2018. It was overpaid by $1000 and needless to say I have been told by numerous different people on the phone that my refund check had been mailed. Here it has been 3 months later and I STILL do not have my refund check Or a lien release for that matter. I have called this place (and let me remind you that you have to wait on the phone every time for over an hour to talk with anyone) and no one will let me talk to the President of the bank. I am fed up, my next step is a lawyer. I literally have called them 8 times so far and every time I get a different answer. Also, I have had several supervisors tell me they will call me back with an answer or solution and they NEVER call me back. This is the most horrible place to bank with ever. It is so frustrating. I can bet you money that if I didn’t pay my bill on time I would have lost my car, however they feel they can just keep lying to me about my own money they owe me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was a customer at my local branch for 25 years. I get a certified letter telling me my account is being closed. I carry a large balance, excellent credit, have never even bounced a check in my life. Went to the branch, was assured by the manager she would deal with the people in Arizona who sent the letter. Long story short, they close my account FOR NO REASON. It has been 3 weeks, guess what... I still don't have my money! Next step I will be contacting my attorney. Do not do business with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I use Bank of the West for daily banking, an RV loan, and a mortgage. I am greeted by name as I enter the bank, have my problems listened to and solutions offered. Fantastic bank with fantastic people. The mortgage has been the most painless process I have ever encountered. I love my bank and its staff. (Kudos to manager Connie!)

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Bank of the West lost every deposit made yesterday, has acknowledged the problem yet will not put the money back until they fix their computer problem. No reason the money should not be accredited as soon as the problem was discovered. Looking for another bank, needless to say.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Never have I been treated so rudely!!! My father had hip surgery and has been in and out the hospital. I called and made a payment on his car on the 10th of January. On January 18th they came and picked up the car??? I called today to try to get this fixed and was treated like Crap! They would not talk to me because I’m not on the loan... But when I called to make the payment on the 10th they happily took it! They told me they would take money from anyone... I had to wake up my dad and have him authorize for them that it was ok to talk to me. Now they're saying I have to wait for the recovery department to call me before I can get the car back. I told her that was unacceptable because now I’m incurring more fees at the tow yard. She said that wasn’t her problem and that was too bad and I would just have to wait.

When and if I get this car back I will be refinancing it for my dad and I will NEVER do business with this bank. I will also tell as many people as I can to never use this bank. They seriously need to go to school for customer service. But I am a firm believer of What goes around comes around!!! I feel sorry for these people... I hope they don’t treat their family members the same way.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Sold my boat RV in first part of November 2018. Have been on the phone 3 days just this week, they still have not released interest to get a title even after my check cleared my bank on November 19 2018. This is hurting both me and the person I sold to, this is guide boat and he cannot do any business till he has it in his name. As of today 1-17-2019 (almost 60 days) it is still not done and don't know when it will happen due to I am getting 3 different answers to same question ask every time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Updated on 04/08/2019: The seller's lender requested a 15 day payoff & front & back of Title. After finally being connected to the Payoff Dept (a wait as long as 10 mins. at times). When I was finally able to speak with someone to ask for a payoff and a copy of the Title. I was told it would take 7 to 10 days and then they would only fax or snail mail it. They would not email. We asked to have it faxed and follow up with snail mail. When they finally faxed, they only faxed a 10 day payoff (already expired) and only the front of the title. We went back and forth like that for almost 2 weeks. After almost losing the sale, we asked the seller's lender to please get involved. They were also frustrated in the unprofessionalism and incompetence. Never again!!!

Original Review: Paying off Loan - We had an RV that was refinanced with Bank of the West. We sold the RV December 1, 2018. Per the request of the new Lender we called Bank of the West for a copy of the front & back of the Title and a 15 day payoff. The only way BOW would send the requested items is by fax and snail mail so we gave them the fax # & our address. After not receiving anything by fax or mail we called again. This went on 3 weeks. We finally received via fax a copy of front of the Title and a 10 day payoff that was already expired.

Everything finally closed on 12/28/18 but only due to the new Lender that went over and beyond to jump through BOW hoops. On 1/3/19 we received via snail mail a copy of the back of the Title & a payoff on 1/4/19. We also got an alert that there was a change on our credit report. BOW put a zero balance and then put a new balance and then we received another letter stating our new payment and a new coupon book & that started a new set of headaches. We will NEVER do business with BOW and would warn anyone else not to do business with them. They are pathetic and oblivious to Customer Service.

Bank of the West Company Information