Bank of the West

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Since becoming a customer with this bank last year, I have noticed that there have been repeated discrepancies involving what is reported as my balance (both available and current) and what is later changed to show an overdraft. For instance, I closely monitor my balance due to budgetary restrictions. I not only keep a running balance based on my records but I will check online and at the ATM site where I make my withdrawals to be sure I have enough that is "available" (the actual amount) to withdraw so that I am not overdrafted.

More than once, I have noticed the next day that the online system will suddenly show I am overdrafted after a withdrawal, when prior to the withdrawal it showed I had enough. This results in a deficit as well as a substantial surcharge. Even after I have called the bank, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what they are doing to have this occur. When there have been outstanding checks or other debits that have not processed, I have deducted those from the balance so that can't be the answer. The only thing I can surmise is the bank is doing something with the reported balances as a deliberate way of obtaining the surcharge fee. Never, in all my years banking, have I ever observed this type of practice. This occurred yesterday, and I have decided to switch banks because I can no longer trust them.

I purchased a boat back in 2007. The financing was done by Bank of the West. I have had no problems with them until I paid off the loan in late July 2017. After waiting until about 15 August 2017 to receive the title I called the bank. I was told that all paperwork required had been sent out but they would send another copy. I waited until around the 27th of August 2017 and received the title for the trailer from Virginia DMV. I called customer service again and was told again all the paperwork was sent out but that the title was held by the dealer I purchased the boat from 10 years ago. I knew that was bull but told the customer service person I would contact Lynnhaven Marine and inquire.

I called them and as I expected they informed me that the title is always held by the lien holder which was Bank of the West. I called BOTW back and got a different person who again stated that all the required forms and paperwork were sent out to me on 11 August 2017. He stated that he will rush send out more copies but it would probably take about another 10 to 20 days for me to receive them. By the way I had him confirm they had my correct home address as I have been living here since 1988. He also stated BOTW could not be responsible for the time it takes the USPS to deliver mail. I am in the process of trying to sell my boat but can't complete the sale until I get the title.

There is NO security, day or night. My closest branch is practically in the middle of a homeless encampment. So it is a little scary. Super happy with the behind-the-counter staff. The tellers are very, very friendly and nice but the bank officers, not so much.

Today I made what I thought was a simple transaction from the drive-in window transferring money from one account to another... After the transaction, the teller returned the tube with no paperwork or receipts. I ask her for the transaction receipts and her response was to give me balances on both accounts that were involved in the transaction. I ask her for receipts showing both the withdrawal and the deposit into the corresponding accounts and I was told she didn't know how to print those receipts. I asked her how long she worked in the bank and her response was 3 months. I asked her the question assuming she didn't know how to perform the receipt transaction and I told her I have copies of previous receipts showing the information that I requested... Deposit receipts. I proceeded to go inside the Bank of the West building to talk to the teller and was told the manager of the bank would discuss the situation with me...

I was ask to wait while the manager took care of another customer. When the manager appeared the explanation given to me was that was the method or process she taught her tellers and the method she was going to use and if I needed a receipt I was to ask for a receipt. The bank would do a "screenshot" of the account and use this print as the deposit receipt. I ask her if this is the method she uses for all her customers and her reply was "yes" so access to the funds were available immediately.

My statement to her regarding this method was without a deposit receipt was no proof that any transaction has taken place simply because I do not use account balances to quickly reconcile if the money was actually transferred to the accounts. She discussed that most of her customers banked "on line" and trust the system. They apologized for the inability to present me with deposit receipts and tried to leave me with the impression that I should trust the computer system.

My response to the Relationship Banker concerning a home equity line of credit... have been going through this revolving door for months: You say the appraisers will be here in a few days. Then you say you need more paperwork. I supply paperwork. You say all is well, the appraisers will be out in a few days. Now you say you need more paperwork. Let me talk with my wife, but this has become silly. Probably we will just forget the whole thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

I love my branch & employees, Castro Valley, Ca. I put the bank itself in with all the banks. No longer a real branch manager who makes credit decisions. They're just a title. The Back office is the Iron Curtain between old way & this new way. Some of this evolved out of the 2008 US "E" collapse. And we can thank Wall Street Financial Inst. & Congress for the over correction.

They are wonderful and even know my name when I enter and say "hello". Their accounting and advice have been great. They send out notices when CDs are due and get you the best rate.

I have been dealing with this bank since I got a car loan and they were the lien holder so I opened an account. Big mistake. I have had so many complaints and incidents, most recent today I go to their ATM and withdrawal 300 from another bank account. At a different bank the machine gives me fifteen bills like it was supposed to but in the middle was a $5 instead of a $20. I go inside and ask them to count the ATM out and find out what happened and of course they look at you like you're a second class citizen. Had to leave before I say something to get arrested. They called me to submit a claim about the money and left me on hold 6 minutes then hung up on me. Excellent customer service!!! They SUCK!!!

The Bank has been handling my grandfather's trust for 2 years. My father passed away and I have been trying to get information. The account manager told me I was not the major person and he had 100 other accounts that were more important. The Trust is worth over a million dollars. They have been rude and talked down to me. I also feel there is an issue as to how this has been handled. I asked for an accounting and was told this would cost me a lot of money. I would never use them for a trust and I should not have to get an attorney to obtain information.

I was referred to BOTW by a friend who is a real estate agent. Called into the number to apply for a home equity line the morning of July 21, 2017. Spent 40 minutes on the phone with Jacqueline giving information. With the loan I would have a 30% LOE and I have a credit score of 803. I heard nothing back, not even an email that confirmed that I had applied until Friday the 27th. In the meantime I received another referral to BVNA Compass. Called, spent 30 minutes on the phone. Sent my documentation an hour later, received a conditional approval within two hours. Was called by the branch manager in Walnut Creek to make an appointment the next day to open the checking account. Also the rate was 2% lower. BOTW needs some serious work on customer service.

When everything is going good they are your best friend. When you have a problem not so much. The BotW in Tehachapi doesn't return calls and when you are mailed a ph# 800-488-2265 for customer service and asked to call it and give your reference # the employee that answers the phone says the number you called does not handle problems with reference #s? and refer you back to the local BotW.

My story is so long... But in a nutshell. Held my check beyond where they advised me. Spent 25 minutes on customer service line, disconnected. Asked my branch, Redondo Beach for assistance completely worthless. The highlight was when I asked my branch why they couldn't give me quick ring that they were bouncing my check, charging me 35.00 when I had the funds in my account. She said, "We used to provide customer services, but people complained we called too early, so we don't do it anymore." IF ANYONE who worked for me said anything like that to a customer they would be fired on the spot.

Brittney who is hailed as a Customer service lead advised me it is the law for them to hold my check, it is not their policy. Then caught her later when she said only holding 5000 is the law, the rest of the time is their discretion. Liars and a previously good bank is going to follow the others if it doesn't get its act together. Stay away from the Redondo Beach branch and Brittney will tell you she feels for your situation but just repeats "is there any other questions you have, I have answered that." Unbelievable!!

I want to file a complaint against your employee ** NMLS # ** located at the 201 N Church Street office in Las Cruces 88001. I had a Farmers Insurance check deposit transaction and received orders from Ms. ** instructions to get my wife to endorse the check and include the Farmers Insurance claim review information or statement. I said to Ms. ** this a deposit not a new loan, she shouts back at me, with four customers in the bank that the bank owns my house and requires this information. I told Ms. ** that the bank does not own my home, only has a lien on it. She again repeated that "the bank owns your house."

I return to the branch on Monday May 29 with the check from Farmers, endorsed by my wife with the deposit slip and the Farmers estimated cost to repair my roof and Ms. ** again shouts at me that "I told you I needed an estimate for the work and ID for you and your wife." I left and for the third time she shouts, "have a nice day." Where I come from that is personal curse that I should have sex with myself. I gathered together the information at home, made copies and return to the bank. Ms. **, after making me wait took the check, the deposit slip, the Farmers claim report and three estimates I had solicited. Ms. ** went in the back of the bank and I waited ten minutes for her to return. Ms. ** returned saying everything looked okay and again shouted at me "have a nice day". I told her she better stop saying that to me and I left.

There were four customers in the bank who heard this shouting from Ms. ** and they vocal demand to have a nice day... Ms. ** was rude, was not complete in what she needed causing me to make three trips to the branch, her shouting was out of line and not professional. Ms. ** needs to be removed from employment at the Bank of the West. Thank you for your time.

It takes a lot to get me upset enough to write a review. This bank, Bank of the West, needs to do some serious, serious employee training and firing. I was floored reading the number of complaints with the exact issue I experienced on here. We were promised title to boat 10 days after payoff. On the 25th day after talking to 3 different people the last Dana ** who claimed to be the manager and told me we had been talking to the WRONG people and they didn't know what they were saying. HELLO didn't know what they were saying. She said the title would be sent out the 31st or the 1st. I then asked her because of the runaround what will be the excuse on the 1st if it's not sent. No reply. Thought she hung up on me then asked her why she couldn't understand that question and please treat me like she would want to be treated. She eased up a little but said she has heard enough.

31st came and went. 1st came and went. On the second she told us to quit calling that she was recording this and we were harassing her. Hmmm, Ms ** if you did what you said we wouldn't be here now. Let me be very clear, this whole ordeal was a nightmare. After hiring a attorney and he calling their Legal Department the title is supposed to be on the way. It's terrible anyone should have to result to this. I have been in total disbelief at their outright arrogance in this whole ordeal and promise you this is the truth.

I added my checking ATM (MasterCard) to Samsung Pay (android). I deposited $1,000 in cash on a Friday afternoon. I couldn't get to my money using Samsung Pay. I called customer service and they said I had an old card even though they had just sent it to me. They suggested I call MasterCard but wouldn't give me the number... my other card from Chase (visa) worked fine. It is now 3 months later and still didn't work. Bank of the West won't return my phone calls and letters to their headquarters go unanswered. I opened a new account at Wells Fargo and the ATM card worked in Samsung Pay the same day. My conversations with Bank of the West employees about this issue usually result in rude, arrogant, and disrespectful responses by the bank's employees. What a horrible experience. I hated it. Maybe they are going out of business? Bank of the "Past"?... call me!

I have headaches with this bank from the start, should have closed my business account at day one. Nothing but trouble with them, charging for stuff not needed to be charged. They will decide what is priority cheques and hold cheques so your account can go in default just to charge you NSF fees. When you deposit a business cheque into your business account they will put a hold on cheques, although the cheques has cleared and been paid to them from client's bank, just to see if they can cause something that they can charge you for.

I would give this horrific bank a zero rating if possible. They don't deserve even one star. Aside from manipulating debits to gain overdraft fees they closed out account in a heartless and devious manner. We were still struggling after the loss of our company due to the 2008 big bank corruption. When our BOW went $160 overdrawn we called to explain a big deposit was due in a week's time. The conversation was amicable. The deposit was made on a Wednesday. It showed up as being in "processing" and as Available Balance as well on Thursday.

On Friday morning it was gone from all bank history. GONE! We were told that even though we could still sign in and access the account, including the deposit, they had already CLOSED the account. Not one notification, email or message. The bank manager dealt with us in a "couldn't care less", ambivalent manner. We are now waiting for them to refund the deposit to the sender so it can be deposited to another account. In the meantime we have no access to any money to pay our bills, or buy food and gas. These banks are protected in ways that allows them to do whatever they wish with absolutely No Consequences. But I swear to God I will utilize every legal means available to me to make them pay for the way they so heartlessly destroyed our lives again and again... if it's the last thing I do. Crooks, criminals. STAY AWAY.

Bank of the West has been a horrible loan service. We had a boat loan for 10 years and had nothing but problems. Found ourselves late on a payment and informed the first person who called that we would have the payment made on the 5th and asked that the account be noted. They proceeded to call everyday straight for 6 days while claiming that the automated system does not allow for notes to be considered. When we paid off the loan, they sent the title to a home address we left 8 years ago! They were informed of the move when it occurred and they had no problem sending statements to our new home but when it came time to send the title, they didn't know we moved. Such BS.

Now they are blaming the DMV for mailing the document to the wrong home and the DMV can't do anything since the line holder was in charge of the address information. They do not take responsibility for their incorrect actions and were VERY rude when we tried to get them to fix the problem... Do NOT do business with them!

Bank of The West is Horrible. First off this bank does not provide great customer service with any department or branch you come in contact with. I am a business owner and deal with PayPal to pay different merchants to vend at their events. I had two events which I paid through PayPal, one for $500 and one for $1,000 two weeks apart. The event for $500 never happened so I called PayPal to dispute and receive a reimbursement. They notated the account and advised that all I had to do was call my bank and have them contact PayPal to reverse the transaction. I was very specific with Jeremy from the claims department on date I paid, and amount. Two days later I had a reimbursement for $1,000. Bank of The West reversed the wrong PayPal transaction.

Again, I called Bank of The West claims department and advised them of the error. I asked to speak to a supervisor to rectify the situation, he was rude and incredibly unprofessional, however completed the claim. I have not received this reimbursement and have been through two different branch managers, The office of the president, the representative whom opened the account, every supervisor I can speak with and nobody is willing to do anything to get my $500 back. This has been two months and is an ongoing battle of unreturned phone calls and absolutely no answers.

Nobody at this bank seems to know whom should handle it or how. All they have to do is call PayPal just as they did for the $1,000 transaction. There were 14 other vendors at this event and ALL received their refund except me. The only difference with me is I have Bank of The West. See my frustration? My family and business is now out of $500 because this bank does not have their customers interest as a priority nor do they have professionalism. We are closing this account and paying off our car loan with them immediately as I will NEVER again deal with this bank and either should anybody else. In fact, they should be investigated, do not become the next victim!

"Very dissatisfied" is way too high of a Rating for this bank. They don't deserve a single star. This bank should be investigated for all their re-arranging of debit card transactions to acquire more overdraft fees. When I talked with a regional manager, actually 2 different regional managers, I got two different stories from the both of them explaining why transactions were put on a so-called hold status while other transactions made after the one on hold gets processed. Well of course they hold the small amount and process the larger transaction because regional manager says "Well we want to make sure the important ones go through which are the higher amount transactions."

Who gives this bank the authority to determine which transaction is more important. Little did she know the most important transaction at that time was the smallest amount. SO AGAIN WHAT GIVES THESE FINANCIAL COMPANIES THE RIGHT TO MANIPULATE HOW THESE GET PROCESSED? Oh the other manager just denied that they do this. LOL!!!

I recently created an online banking account for my Bank of the West Mastercard (This is the only account I have with that bank). First, If you mistakenly sign-in with the wrong password after two attempts the system disables your account and you will need to call the number that's listed. This situation has happened to me twice. The first time the representative reactivated my account quickly by asking a few questions. Unfortunately, again I forgot my password and my account was disabled.

Long story short: The 2nd representative asked me 7-10 questions to identify me as the primarily card holder. His last question was "When was the last payment made towards this account?" My reply, "I cannot recall the exact date but it was during this month". The representative then said, " at this moment I am unable to assist you with your account since you weren't able to answer all the questions. Please call back at a later time".

I was very upset! I said, "I answered all your questions and because I can't tell you exactly when I made my last payment you cannot reset my account? Let me speak to your manager". I was then transfer to his so-call manager. I got nowhere with him either. The manager asked me to walk into the nearest Bank of the west branch for further verification. I replied, "You won't reset my account because I can't tell you the exact date I made a payment? I have the copy of the check here. I can tell you the amount and check #". "I apologize you will need to go to a branch"... THAT'S **! So they're inconveniencing me and asking me to walk into a branch when they can just reset this account. I'm done! I'm closing this account!

I got a $89.47 charge from a scamming company which I disputed with my Bank of the West and they said it was a legitimate charge instead of going to bat for me and getting my money back. I am not happy with this at all and am switching banks immediately. I used to work for credit card banks and we always served the customer who was disputing charges. This bank put the money taken back in my account and then sent me a letter today to say they are taking it back away. So not only was I whammied once, I was whammied again by this bank! Do you think I would get anywhere getting in touch with the Federal Trade Commission?

The branch employees have been unresponsive to a letter written by my Attorney to review bank fees from August 2016. In an attempt to deposit a check that had been endorsed by a third party for deposit only was declined. The third party presented themselves with the same endorsed check for deposit only and was again declined to be accepted. This institution publicized a business banking partnership but with a partner like this it's not a partnership any business could afford. Commerce and Business today is driven by convenience and affordability which after two years of a relationship this institution lacks and much more.

I recently bought a new Toyota and Toyota acquired a vehicle loan (Lease) from BOTW. I then tried to set up making a self-payment online, I was not able to do so. I called the company and was told that since this was a lease, this was not an option to make a self-payment online. My only options was to send a check in, or to call and have them take the payment over the phone. (Are we living in the 1990s or is the bank still Living there?) This is the only payment that I have that I cannot make online. Very disappointing!!! I have not heard about this bank before now, and maybe for good reason. I would never open an account on my own with this bank. Very poor customer service. Someone in authority needs to wake up and enter into 2016 way of doing business. Beware when using this bank, you may not be able to make online payments!!!

My account was over drafted $2. They charged me 2 x $36 fees. I asked to close the account. They refused unless I paid the fee. Now I have $168 in fees from the $2 overdraft because they wouldn't cancel the account. I'm not going to pay these thieves. They should be in prison. It is legal theft.

The app fails frequently. The bank shuts off my debit card all the time without notification or reasonable concern. They get angry when you ask them to reinstate it. I was out to eat the other day and my debit card was declined. I called to find out why and all their systems were down. I asked why and they said they wouldn't tell me. I asked how long and they said they didn't know. I don't know why I stay with this awful bank.

I wouldn't give them even one star. I purchased a boat from them 15 years ago, with a 16 year loan and made every payment on time for 15 years. I paid the boat off a year early this year and still have not received my title in which they are the lien holder. I have called countless times to customer service being told several different excuses. They sent me a notarized release and told me to take to the DMV (along with another persons I might add)... This is a paperless title, they have to release it electronically which is CA state law. They keep telling me they have, however it still shows that they have not thru the DMV.

This bank should not do loans on vehicles or boats if they do not know what to do or how to release the title once it is paid off. I paid this boat off in Sept 2016 and today is Dec 2016 no title yet and still excuses. This is horrible!! I can't get thru to any manager, they keep saying they will send an urgent email to them, and still not one call to follow up or to let me know. Now I have a boat paid off, and no title and not a bit of help from the loan dept regarding this... What do you do???

My husband and I decided to open an account at botw because we have heard good things. Go in on a Thursday and open the account in my name originally, since my hushed had lost his id and we weren't able to add him. The first thing I asked the manager who opened my account was, can he give me honesty and integrity? He said of course.

We proceed to open my account and I ask him what do I need to do to add my husband? He says to go to the dmv and bring the itemized copy, a copy of our rental agreement, his social security card, his credit cards and his paycheck stubs and we can add him. My husband takes Monday off and goes to the dmv. We go into the same branch and ask to add my husband. We get told by another banker that no we cannot add him.

I ask for the manager that had helped me prior. He says the manager is not there but the supervisor is and he will bring her to me. Well she never comes over. I finally walk over to her and ask her and tell her "Miguel said he would add my husband." He answer was "I don't care what he said, he's not here and I said no." This little girl is maybe 20 if that. I'm not going to take this disrespect from a little kid that I am giving my business and money to. I tell her she needs to close my account and she REFUSES. I tell her she cannot refuse legally to close my account and she could lose her job. Then she closes my account. It takes a lot longer than I've ever had to wait at any bank. But I wait.

Finally she's done and before giving me my cash says "you better never come back in here or I will call the cops." "Excuse me?!" I tell her, "really you won't give me my cash until you get the chance to threaten me? How professional." She tells me she's off soon and I can wait in the parking lot. I am flabbergasted. She's at work threatening me!!! She's still holding onto my cash and I tell her "you know what, call the cops. I will tell them that you threatened me and refused to give me my cash." Of course now she gives me my cash and my husband tells me to just let it go and we start to walk out and I hear her making comments. I have never been so disgusted by a bank. All because some teenage girl wants to prove she's "in charge." Well good for you being in charge because you lost a customer.

A few days later after I've calmed down I decided to give this bank, different location, a second chance. They are nicer but it takes them about 15 minutes to even acknowledge me in the bank. I explain to her my issue with the last location and she promises me that it won't be the case there. That was true, my experience at this branch was much more pleasant.

However, I am still unhappy. They don't have automatic transfer from checking to savings which bothers me. They don't provide you with an atm card while you wait for your debit card to get mailed. The mobile banking app only lets you deposit a check of up to $500.00 which sucks because my checks are well over that, so if I want to deposit my check (my company doesn't offer direct deposit) I have to go to an atm or in the bank. Then they hold my checks for 5 days. I ask when this will change and they say "after two months." That's ridiculous.

I get paid every week. So I don't get my money until a day or two before I get paid again? Lastly when my husband gets his id, we go in and I'm told we will automatically be charged to have him on my account every month because he has bad credit. I tell her this must be a mistake because regular banks don't care about credit scores for a regular account. There was no issue with my credit when I opened it originally and he has better credit than I do. And we have an account at a credit union and they DO care about credit scores. So if he can have an account at a credit union, how can we possibly have to pay for him to have an account here at botw? Overall just not a good bank. Very difficult to deal with. Poor customer service and outdated. I don't recommend. We ended up just keeping the one account we have at the credit union.

I have been a customer with Bank of the West for years. They have always kinda sucked with High ATM fees and things like that. The final straw for me was when they locked my debit card twice in a week and never notified me. They left me standing in line at the grocery store. You call customer service and they tell you their policy is to notify customers when a problem occurs. The policy isn't worth the paper it's written on. I am so glad to no longer be a customer at this bank. For your own sanity do not use BOTW.

Just horrible...everything. Bad customer service, no help from anyone and this is not just one time. It happened many times whenever I call them. They just keep transferring you...no one knows **. Keep telling me different things. No one knows what they are doing. Everything takes looong time. The branch tells me one thing and the main office the opposite. We just paid off our business loan and are waiting on a title. I just told my husband that we will have a party in honor of being DONE with them. Can't wait for that day.

Bank of the West Company Profile