3.8/5 (694 ratings)

About Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

Bank of the West worst customer, my account was overdraft on 01/24. I have money Zelle to Bank of the West to cover overdraft. At 3:11pm bank charge me $35 saying cutoff time was 3pm so money post next day. After calling to complain Bank of the West charge me another $35 for overdraft on 01/25 for the overdraft charges, try getting in touch with CEO Nandita Bakhshi in SA but no phone number to contact headquarters. I contact the Better Business to further investigate.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

Have called their customer support line multiple and their hold time is more than an hour. I went into one of their branches, but denied service and told to return another day because they were too busy. I called their headquarters and this rude female picked up the phone and refused to provide her name saying she can't give it out. I was told to call another number. I spoke with a male who also had an attitude. He said he'll have someone from their management team give me a call. This is unacceptable. I can't believe this bank operates this way. It's a shame they operate this way.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

I have been a client of this bank since 2017, I have an auto loan with them. I had never had a problem until now. I make a payment every month, I have a couple of years making the payment online. Earlier this month, when I was about to make a payment online, my account said I had no payment due and that my next payment had to be done by 1/19/2023. I thought it was weird, since I didn't made a payment since November. It was like a week before Christmas so I decided to call Customer Service to verify this was true. Their representative confirmed it was true and had told me that my next payment was due in January. I asked why was that if I didn't make a payment in December and the Customer Service told me that I must of made a payment for more than the amount due before and that was probably why I didn't have to make one.

This happened to me before so I thought this was correct since their website and their Customer Service confirmed. This morning, I received a call from them to tell me that I had to make a payment since I missed my payment in December. I asked to talked to a manager and I ended up having to make a payment anyways, otherwise It was going to be on my credit report. This is so upsetting and don't trust them anymore. I will never get a loan with them anymore and will pay off my loan asap. I do not recommend, how can you recommend when their own Customer Service is not reliable??

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

On November 28, 2022 I went in to a Bank of the West branch to deposit a Required Minimum Distribution Inherited IRA check into my savings account with less cash back. It is drafted in my name including “beneficiary” and my late brother’s name. I have done this every year since my brother's passing in 2011 and had never experienced any issues or refusal. But this time, the teller pointed out the fact that it was drafted as such, she needed approval from management. So, I was agreeable and she went to seek approval from a supervisor. Unfortunately, she came back and told me that the supervisor had refused to authorize it.

Needless to say, that got my blood boiling and I explained to her that I had been cashing/depositing such a check every year for the past eleven years without an issue. She tried to explain to me that because my brother's name was on the check that I would have to have him on my bank account. Now, how stupid is that? How on earth am I going to have a deceased person named on my bank account? Of course, it was like speaking to a wall. Nevertheless, I am definitely closing out my accounts in the very near future and would never recommend this bank to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Worst bank to work with! DO NOT FINANCE WITH THEM! We paid off a loan held by Bank of the West for a boat purchased. Have been requesting paperwork for over 90 days to get the US Coast Guard documentation deleted from the vessel. Bank of the West has not complied with our request after weekly phone calls, emails and faxes. It should not take over 90 days to fill out 1 piece of paper! Completely unacceptable banking practices.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

After being a customer for 1.5 years, I received an obscure document stating that I was under investigation and not explaining the reasons. Some questions were really suspicious without context, others did not make any sense. Upon completion of the document, the money disappeared from my accounts, and I was refused the service with no explanation. The employees were rude and the management was unresponsive. I felt insulted and humiliated. I will never trust this bank again with my finances. I have reported them to FDIC.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I have dealt with Bank of the West for 3 years now. I make my husband’s loan payment for a camper he purchased while on the road. They won’t set up automatic draft for the payments and reaching someone to make a payment is a nightmare! If you reach a human, they say it’s a different department and transfer to someone who doesn’t answer and returns your call a week later so you can’t get paid off because of the late fees they add. It operates like there are only 2 employees who don’t communicate with each other at all!! Do NOT use this bank for anything!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Date: 10/12/2022 We have been business customer of this bank for over 35 years, and we have multiple accounts with high figures. We are a small business we international and national sales. Out of all accounts, one checking account is used to interact with the outside and the rest are either strictly CC accounts or saving. On 9/16/2022, the bank put a hold on our main checking account due to fraudulent deposit, and this happened when I and another person on the accounts are out of town. This caused a huge disruption to our payments to our vendors and services; since we were locked out of the account and unable to access the online banking to make payments. Some of our vendors and service providers put us on prepayment.

On October 6th, we opened a new account, and we were told that the account will be active online in few days. we received the email saying that the account can be accessed online. when I called the online customer service to set me up for access, they needed the branch to approve the process. The branch manager replied to me that it will be done by the end of the day. As usual with her responses, she totally forgot and I waited for the next day. Nothing happened. I emailed her and the regional manager and described the urgency; that is when she replied that in order for the new account to be active online, she needs to close the old account and make sure that all checks have cleared; which did not make sense.

We need the access to the new account so we can use it to pay our debt and we can then close the account the minute we have access. This is an impossible process because we have payments on a daily basis and we have payroll, and our experience with their response time could leave us hanging. I do not recommend this branch for any business service. They are totally clueless about business banking and offer terrible service with many days to response to anything. I am now hoping that the regional manager can do something otherwise I will be moving to another bank soon.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

7 weeks since they accepted our check to pay off our motorhome loan and no title. We have called 7 times and are still waiting. I have financed over 20 vehicles in my life and have NEVER had this much trouble getting a title and the best is they will only send a release and I need to pay to do title work in PA. DO NOT USE THIS BANK for any reason unless you want the runaround and get no resolve to problems and weeks to waste.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

Worst bank ever! The customer service is very hard to reach and they need a week to answer a simple message. My debit is going to expire very soon and I didn’t get a new one. I contacted them several times but they lied to me. They told my new debit card will arrive the first week of the month and a week after it was the 10th and now they don’t even know if I’m going to received my card before the old one expire. I told them that this card is link to bills and that I would not be able to pay because of their incompetence. I don’t even have a credit card 'cause they forget to send me a new one. I keep asking them when I should get my new card and the answer is, "We don’t know…"

Bank of the West Company Information