1.24/5
Based on 30 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of the West

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 22, 2018

204 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am a small business owner in Illinois. I recently found that an ex-employee had gained access to our business checking account. He purchased a car in Oct or Nov. 2016. He called in his car payments to BANK OF THE WEST and gave them OUR BUSINESS account info to pay his car payments. BOW was able to access the phone recording where this person states he is a signer on the account. I also sent them the bank signature cards they requested from our bank. Now BOW won't return my calls and states their "investigation dept." has closed the case. I just attempted to contact them again and was informed there is NO investigation dept. I have filed charges in Illinois against the ex-employee. BOW will not cooperate in providing a name and contact number for the State's Attorney to speak with them. This is so illegal and unethical! STAY AWAY FROM BANK OF THE WEST.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

After having banked with four other financial institutions, I feel I am of the informed opinion to unequivocally state that: this bank is by far the worst I've yet to encounter. Here's why (not exhaustive): The bankers are rude across the state of California (irrespective of my consistent six figure balance- I can only imagine how badly they treat clients with a lower balance). There are lots of fees, many of which are unbeknownst to a client (unless you actually read the 56+ page contract). Horrible telephone customer support. Very limited hours of operation compared to other banks. The various branches aesthetic resembles that of the DMV (and have the same impersonal, bureaucratic, and unwelcoming vibe). Complaints are never addressed. I could quibble on and on but, the point is: look elsewhere, this bank is atrocious.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

For the past month I have been trying to close my bank account with Bank of the West. I have contacted all businesses that I had direct deposit with to let them know that the account is closed and gave them all my new bank info. However something is definitely wrong since I'm still receiving bank statement from Bank of the West and the direct deposits are still being deposited when the account is supposed to be closed. I have been in 3x to find out why the account is still open and they all claim that it is closed yet no one has or will give me any form of confirmation that the account has in fact been closed.

With all the ridiculous amount of fees this bank demands it doesn't surprise me if they keep it open on purpose just so the account will accumulate fees. All my debits cards have been turned off. So once again I have no choice but to deal with incompetent bank reps. On my day off. Think this time I'm going to seek legal action for I don't know any other way to get through to them to CLOSE all accounts.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

In preparation for my 2017 tax return, I ran across a year-old file with an account number and debit card, along with a statement with $120 remaining in my account with BOTW. I call them (spoke to a rep then supervisor named "Latrell") and after giving them all the information about me over the phone, they state they cannot help me. No other reason given beyond that. After giving you my social? My business' name? Fine, I moved on to another financial institution and operations without your bank, but I'm not giving up on $120 now, out of principle. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

BOW added a "new" $15 fee to my 12 yr old $0 fee money market. So on Jan 31 2018 I changed the money market account to an any deposit checking account at the clerk's suggestion. Today in my balances I see I was charged $13 dollars for that last January business day, $13 dollars! I am on my way to my local branch to close the new account. Running some kind of BOW ripoff okie dokie game here? I am a senior, there are laws to protect old people like me from financial abuse like this!!! Snakes! Not only am I looking for a new bank but they are losing my family business account of $220K. Enjoy the stolen 13 bucks because it's the last dime you will see from us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

To my knowledge I never signed up for a Gold Line account, but one was created for my regular checking account. There were fees and deposits done automatically, which I didn't know was happening because I'm not that attentive to monthly banking activity. My needs are simple. As a result, I ended up losing several hundred dollars. I think this was one of those situations where you will automatically get this account unless you specifically say you don't want it. I remember seeing it and deciding I didn't want to sign up for it, but I imagine I needed to decline it. This is a dishonest practice, in my opinion. It lacks transparency and takes advantage of people.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Today was the second time (different locations) in a month a Bank of the West atm has taken my cash without posting the funds. The first time I went through the claims department and later received a letter basically saying they didn't have my money. There's no other process in place for investigating, so I just have to hope they don't steal my money again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I had opened my new checking account with Bank of the West in August and I believe they took advantage of me because I was new. So what happened was I used PayPal to pay for a few items. When I say PayPal that is the debit card I used thinking it would draw money from my PayPal credit account which I also have. I quickly learned I had my PayPal card in sync with Bank of the West.

Everything I had just bought was being sent to Bank of the West for payment which I did not have money to cover the expenses. Seeing I did not have the funds in my account they charge 35 dollars each time PayPal would send a bill to them to collect the payment. PayPal keeps sending copies of the same bills so I got charged 35 dollars for any resubmitted bills also. Not only do they charge the overdraft fee they also charge 70 dollars for each bill they send back.

I was charged 600.00 for one month of fees. I never saw this coming. When you open a bank account with Bank of the West you automatically have this attached to your account. I am living month to month and really don't have an extra 600.00 to be paying fees with. I called to speak with the manager of the bank who was not helpful. Had a cocky attitude as she made fun of the situation. If I could close the account I would but not until the negative balance gets paid off. This bank is not a bank to trust or rely on.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

For 7 months I have been sending in payments on a loan at or near the beginning of each month. Payments are due on the 14th of each month. The Bank of the West, so far, waits until 1 or 2 days prior to the scheduled payment date to process these funds, cheating me out of interest credit. This, in my opinion is a lack of integrity on the part of the Bank of the West. I would appreciate either an email or phone call from Bank of the West with regard to this issue.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Bank of the West is one of the worse banks I ever dealt with. They sign me for overdraft protection but what they don’t do is just that they charge the account every time but they don’t pay for the charge that came to the account. And when you call them they have no answer. Another thing, I was going to vacation. I called them 3 days in advance. Give them the date and time I am leaving town. When I got to my destination they froze my account. It took two days of phone calls before I was able to use my card. Wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Made it my day start all bad. I went to deposit my money on Sat morning 09/23/2017. Was out there for 15 min. The teller seen me when depositing the money. Out of nowhere the ATM machine kept saying in process. 5min before opening I told them what going on. The teller just told me give it some time. When they open I told them what was going on instead of helping me they help 3 customers before me and I was the first person there. And on top of that made me late for work 40 min. But what upset the most was that they still wanted me to come back in one hour. Then she told I would have till Monday after my money card getting stuck there. They didn't bother to look into it. Because of that I didn't have no money because they had to do a claim and I wasn't able to get my car. But to collect the overdraft you guys are good but when come to helping you guys to take forever. I’m really disappointed with this bank. Smh.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Since becoming a customer with this bank last year, I have noticed that there have been repeated discrepancies involving what is reported as my balance (both available and current) and what is later changed to show an overdraft. For instance, I closely monitor my balance due to budgetary restrictions. I not only keep a running balance based on my records but I will check online and at the ATM site where I make my withdrawals to be sure I have enough that is "available" (the actual amount) to withdraw so that I am not overdrafted.

More than once, I have noticed the next day that the online system will suddenly show I am overdrafted after a withdrawal, when prior to the withdrawal it showed I had enough. This results in a deficit as well as a substantial surcharge. Even after I have called the bank, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what they are doing to have this occur. When there have been outstanding checks or other debits that have not processed, I have deducted those from the balance so that can't be the answer. The only thing I can surmise is the bank is doing something with the reported balances as a deliberate way of obtaining the surcharge fee. Never, in all my years banking, have I ever observed this type of practice. This occurred yesterday, and I have decided to switch banks because I can no longer trust them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I purchased a boat back in 2007. The financing was done by Bank of the West. I have had no problems with them until I paid off the loan in late July 2017. After waiting until about 15 August 2017 to receive the title I called the bank. I was told that all paperwork required had been sent out but they would send another copy. I waited until around the 27th of August 2017 and received the title for the trailer from Virginia DMV. I called customer service again and was told again all the paperwork was sent out but that the title was held by the dealer I purchased the boat from 10 years ago. I knew that was bull but told the customer service person I would contact Lynnhaven Marine and inquire.

I called them and as I expected they informed me that the title is always held by the lien holder which was Bank of the West. I called BOTW back and got a different person who again stated that all the required forms and paperwork were sent out to me on 11 August 2017. He stated that he will rush send out more copies but it would probably take about another 10 to 20 days for me to receive them. By the way I had him confirm they had my correct home address as I have been living here since 1988. He also stated BOTW could not be responsible for the time it takes the USPS to deliver mail. I am in the process of trying to sell my boat but can't complete the sale until I get the title.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

There is NO security, day or night. My closest branch is practically in the middle of a homeless encampment. So it is a little scary. Super happy with the behind-the-counter staff. The tellers are very, very friendly and nice but the bank officers, not so much.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Today I made what I thought was a simple transaction from the drive-in window transferring money from one account to another... After the transaction, the teller returned the tube with no paperwork or receipts. I ask her for the transaction receipts and her response was to give me balances on both accounts that were involved in the transaction. I ask her for receipts showing both the withdrawal and the deposit into the corresponding accounts and I was told she didn't know how to print those receipts. I asked her how long she worked in the bank and her response was 3 months. I asked her the question assuming she didn't know how to perform the receipt transaction and I told her I have copies of previous receipts showing the information that I requested... Deposit receipts. I proceeded to go inside the Bank of the West building to talk to the teller and was told the manager of the bank would discuss the situation with me...

I was ask to wait while the manager took care of another customer. When the manager appeared the explanation given to me was that was the method or process she taught her tellers and the method she was going to use and if I needed a receipt I was to ask for a receipt. The bank would do a "screenshot" of the account and use this print as the deposit receipt. I ask her if this is the method she uses for all her customers and her reply was "yes" so access to the funds were available immediately.

My statement to her regarding this method was without a deposit receipt was no proof that any transaction has taken place simply because I do not use account balances to quickly reconcile if the money was actually transferred to the accounts. She discussed that most of her customers banked "on line" and trust the system. They apologized for the inability to present me with deposit receipts and tried to leave me with the impression that I should trust the computer system.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

My response to the Relationship Banker concerning a home equity line of credit... have been going through this revolving door for months: You say the appraisers will be here in a few days. Then you say you need more paperwork. I supply paperwork. You say all is well, the appraisers will be out in a few days. Now you say you need more paperwork. Let me talk with my wife, but this has become silly. Probably we will just forget the whole thing.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I love my branch & employees, Castro Valley, Ca. I put the bank itself in with all the banks. No longer a real branch manager who makes credit decisions. They're just a title. The Back office is the Iron Curtain between old way & this new way. Some of this evolved out of the 2008 US "E" collapse. And we can thank Wall Street Financial Inst. & Congress for the over correction.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

They are wonderful and even know my name when I enter and say "hello". Their accounting and advice have been great. They send out notices when CDs are due and get you the best rate.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have been dealing with this bank since I got a car loan and they were the lien holder so I opened an account. Big mistake. I have had so many complaints and incidents, most recent today I go to their ATM and withdrawal 300 from another bank account. At a different bank the machine gives me fifteen bills like it was supposed to but in the middle was a $5 instead of a $20. I go inside and ask them to count the ATM out and find out what happened and of course they look at you like you're a second class citizen. Had to leave before I say something to get arrested. They called me to submit a claim about the money and left me on hold 6 minutes then hung up on me. Excellent customer service!!! They SUCK!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The Bank has been handling my grandfather's trust for 2 years. My father passed away and I have been trying to get information. The account manager told me I was not the major person and he had 100 other accounts that were more important. The Trust is worth over a million dollars. They have been rude and talked down to me. I also feel there is an issue as to how this has been handled. I asked for an accounting and was told this would cost me a lot of money. I would never use them for a trust and I should not have to get an attorney to obtain information.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I was referred to BOTW by a friend who is a real estate agent. Called into the number to apply for a home equity line the morning of July 21, 2017. Spent 40 minutes on the phone with Jacqueline giving information. With the loan I would have a 30% LOE and I have a credit score of 803. I heard nothing back, not even an email that confirmed that I had applied until Friday the 27th. In the meantime I received another referral to BVNA Compass. Called, spent 30 minutes on the phone. Sent my documentation an hour later, received a conditional approval within two hours. Was called by the branch manager in Walnut Creek to make an appointment the next day to open the checking account. Also the rate was 2% lower. BOTW needs some serious work on customer service.

Original review: July 29, 2017

When everything is going good they are your best friend. When you have a problem not so much. The BotW in Tehachapi doesn't return calls and when you are mailed a ph# 800-488-2265 for customer service and asked to call it and give your reference # the employee that answers the phone says the number you called does not handle problems with reference #s? and refer you back to the local BotW.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My story is so long... But in a nutshell. Held my check beyond where they advised me. Spent 25 minutes on customer service line, disconnected. Asked my branch, Redondo Beach for assistance completely worthless. The highlight was when I asked my branch why they couldn't give me quick ring that they were bouncing my check, charging me 35.00 when I had the funds in my account. She said, "We used to provide customer services, but people complained we called too early, so we don't do it anymore." IF ANYONE who worked for me said anything like that to a customer they would be fired on the spot.

Brittney who is hailed as a Customer service lead advised me it is the law for them to hold my check, it is not their policy. Then caught her later when she said only holding 5000 is the law, the rest of the time is their discretion. Liars and a previously good bank is going to follow the others if it doesn't get its act together. Stay away from the Redondo Beach branch and Brittney will tell you she feels for your situation but just repeats "is there any other questions you have, I have answered that." Unbelievable!!

Original review: June 4, 2017

I want to file a complaint against your employee ** NMLS # ** located at the 201 N Church Street office in Las Cruces 88001. I had a Farmers Insurance check deposit transaction and received orders from Ms. ** instructions to get my wife to endorse the check and include the Farmers Insurance claim review information or statement. I said to Ms. ** this a deposit not a new loan, she shouts back at me, with four customers in the bank that the bank owns my house and requires this information. I told Ms. ** that the bank does not own my home, only has a lien on it. She again repeated that "the bank owns your house."

I return to the branch on Monday May 29 with the check from Farmers, endorsed by my wife with the deposit slip and the Farmers estimated cost to repair my roof and Ms. ** again shouts at me that "I told you I needed an estimate for the work and ID for you and your wife." I left and for the third time she shouts, "have a nice day." Where I come from that is personal curse that I should have sex with myself. I gathered together the information at home, made copies and return to the bank. Ms. **, after making me wait took the check, the deposit slip, the Farmers claim report and three estimates I had solicited. Ms. ** went in the back of the bank and I waited ten minutes for her to return. Ms. ** returned saying everything looked okay and again shouted at me "have a nice day". I told her she better stop saying that to me and I left.

There were four customers in the bank who heard this shouting from Ms. ** and they vocal demand to have a nice day... Ms. ** was rude, was not complete in what she needed causing me to make three trips to the branch, her shouting was out of line and not professional. Ms. ** needs to be removed from employment at the Bank of the West. Thank you for your time.

Original review: June 3, 2017

It takes a lot to get me upset enough to write a review. This bank, Bank of the West, needs to do some serious, serious employee training and firing. I was floored reading the number of complaints with the exact issue I experienced on here. We were promised title to boat 10 days after payoff. On the 25th day after talking to 3 different people the last Dana ** who claimed to be the manager and told me we had been talking to the WRONG people and they didn't know what they were saying. HELLO didn't know what they were saying. She said the title would be sent out the 31st or the 1st. I then asked her because of the runaround what will be the excuse on the 1st if it's not sent. No reply. Thought she hung up on me then asked her why she couldn't understand that question and please treat me like she would want to be treated. She eased up a little but said she has heard enough.

31st came and went. 1st came and went. On the second she told us to quit calling that she was recording this and we were harassing her. Hmmm, Ms ** if you did what you said we wouldn't be here now. Let me be very clear, this whole ordeal was a nightmare. After hiring a attorney and he calling their Legal Department the title is supposed to be on the way. It's terrible anyone should have to result to this. I have been in total disbelief at their outright arrogance in this whole ordeal and promise you this is the truth.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I added my checking ATM (MasterCard) to Samsung Pay (android). I deposited $1,000 in cash on a Friday afternoon. I couldn't get to my money using Samsung Pay. I called customer service and they said I had an old card even though they had just sent it to me. They suggested I call MasterCard but wouldn't give me the number... my other card from Chase (visa) worked fine. It is now 3 months later and still didn't work. Bank of the West won't return my phone calls and letters to their headquarters go unanswered. I opened a new account at Wells Fargo and the ATM card worked in Samsung Pay the same day. My conversations with Bank of the West employees about this issue usually result in rude, arrogant, and disrespectful responses by the bank's employees. What a horrible experience. I hated it. Maybe they are going out of business? Bank of the "Past"?... call me!

Original review: May 10, 2017

I have headaches with this bank from the start, should have closed my business account at day one. Nothing but trouble with them, charging for stuff not needed to be charged. They will decide what is priority cheques and hold cheques so your account can go in default just to charge you NSF fees. When you deposit a business cheque into your business account they will put a hold on cheques, although the cheques has cleared and been paid to them from client's bank, just to see if they can cause something that they can charge you for.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I would give this horrific bank a zero rating if possible. They don't deserve even one star. Aside from manipulating debits to gain overdraft fees they closed out account in a heartless and devious manner. We were still struggling after the loss of our company due to the 2008 big bank corruption. When our BOW went $160 overdrawn we called to explain a big deposit was due in a week's time. The conversation was amicable. The deposit was made on a Wednesday. It showed up as being in "processing" and as Available Balance as well on Thursday.

On Friday morning it was gone from all bank history. GONE! We were told that even though we could still sign in and access the account, including the deposit, they had already CLOSED the account. Not one notification, email or message. The bank manager dealt with us in a "couldn't care less", ambivalent manner. We are now waiting for them to refund the deposit to the sender so it can be deposited to another account. In the meantime we have no access to any money to pay our bills, or buy food and gas. These banks are protected in ways that allows them to do whatever they wish with absolutely No Consequences. But I swear to God I will utilize every legal means available to me to make them pay for the way they so heartlessly destroyed our lives again and again... if it's the last thing I do. Crooks, criminals. STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 15, 2017

Bank of the West has been a horrible loan service. We had a boat loan for 10 years and had nothing but problems. Found ourselves late on a payment and informed the first person who called that we would have the payment made on the 5th and asked that the account be noted. They proceeded to call everyday straight for 6 days while claiming that the automated system does not allow for notes to be considered. When we paid off the loan, they sent the title to a home address we left 8 years ago! They were informed of the move when it occurred and they had no problem sending statements to our new home but when it came time to send the title, they didn't know we moved. Such BS.

Now they are blaming the DMV for mailing the document to the wrong home and the DMV can't do anything since the line holder was in charge of the address information. They do not take responsibility for their incorrect actions and were VERY rude when we tried to get them to fix the problem... Do NOT do business with them!

Original review: April 6, 2017

Bank of The West is Horrible. First off this bank does not provide great customer service with any department or branch you come in contact with. I am a business owner and deal with PayPal to pay different merchants to vend at their events. I had two events which I paid through PayPal, one for $500 and one for $1,000 two weeks apart. The event for $500 never happened so I called PayPal to dispute and receive a reimbursement. They notated the account and advised that all I had to do was call my bank and have them contact PayPal to reverse the transaction. I was very specific with Jeremy from the claims department on date I paid, and amount. Two days later I had a reimbursement for $1,000. Bank of The West reversed the wrong PayPal transaction.

Again, I called Bank of The West claims department and advised them of the error. I asked to speak to a supervisor to rectify the situation, he was rude and incredibly unprofessional, however completed the claim. I have not received this reimbursement and have been through two different branch managers, The office of the president, the representative whom opened the account, every supervisor I can speak with and nobody is willing to do anything to get my $500 back. This has been two months and is an ongoing battle of unreturned phone calls and absolutely no answers.

Nobody at this bank seems to know whom should handle it or how. All they have to do is call PayPal just as they did for the $1,000 transaction. There were 14 other vendors at this event and ALL received their refund except me. The only difference with me is I have Bank of The West. See my frustration? My family and business is now out of $500 because this bank does not have their customers interest as a priority nor do they have professionalism. We are closing this account and paying off our car loan with them immediately as I will NEVER again deal with this bank and either should anybody else. In fact, they should be investigated, do not become the next victim!

Bank of the West Company Information

www.bankofthewest.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use