3.58/5

255 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bank of the West recently Started Charging a $3.00 Fee for paper statements on checking accounts. I have two Accounts and didn't notice the reoccurring monthly fee for four months so it cost me $24.00. I asked a teller about the fee and they told me I have to go online and chose electronic statements only to avoid the fees. I have since done that but it got me thinking. I was not adequately notified of the new fee and it cost me 24.00. If Bank of the West has 1,000,000 accounts and they started charging $3.00 a month each then they made $3,000,000 the first month and if on average it takes 4 months for people to realize the fee is there that is $12,000,000 dollars they have stolen from their customers through deceptive practices.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have banked with this bank for several years. Over the past couple, employees have left and new employees have arrived. They are rude and uncaring. They made a mistake on a cash deposit (not posting to my account) and thank goodness I had the receipt, because they were fighting me on their error. This caused overdraft charges, of which only a few were returned, because it was "past the limit"!! I met personally with the bank manager who wouldn't do anything. Just yesterday I pulled up to the drive-through to make a deposit and was told that there was one person ahead of me. After waiting about 10 minutes I went into the bank and there were 2 employees doing absolutely nothing. Their hours of operation are bad also. They close at 5 and 5:30. Who can get to the bank by then if they work. Finally, doing mobile deposits is the worst. My paycheck is held 2-5 business days before I can use the funds. I'm shopping for a new bank right now.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I recently changed banks from USAA to Bank of the West. I was pleased with my last bank and never had any issues but had to change over due to there not being any USAA banks nearby. I have to admit I didn't do my research when choosing this bank and now I regret not doing so. I recently withdrew money from Bank of the West while on my way to my duty my location and later found out I had a pending transaction which over drafted the account. Bank of the West obviously capitalized off my mistake and chose to backdate previous transactions to after after the incident which left me with 350 in fees. I realize this may not seem like much but being a single father it's a lot. I'll be shutting down this account after I pay it and moving on.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Liars and thieves! We took out an RV loan 4 years ago and needless to say are still accruing interest on a fixed loan! When asked why we got a bunch of run around, now we want to pay it off and we have to jump through hoops while we are still being hit with interest! I'm ready to get an attorney!! Who's with me!? This is robbery at its best, and it needs to stop now!

Original review: March 25, 2019

We close over 100 transactions a year and this is the first bank that made our BLACKBALL list. They blatantly lie to their customers and dealerships. Unless they are the dumbest run organization in the universe. POSSIBLY BOTH. They should be shut down. Look Out!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: March 24, 2019

There are purchases I didn't make, withdrawals I didn't do, double charged on all services, and being fully ignored when I complain. I really feel a class action suit needs to start asap!!! So I'm in, any other customers want in???

Original review: March 8, 2019

Do not borrow money from this bank. They don't care one bit about their customers. I made that mistake and took out a loan from them to buy a boat. The first 4 years or so I paid extra on the note each month. I ended up getting kind of lazy on my payments because I had paid so far ahead on the loan. After about 10 months or so I was no longer paid ahead on the loan and got a call from the bank to let me know. I mailed a payment that day. A couple weeks later I got another call saying that I still hadn't made the payment asking me to pay over the phone. I told them no that I had mailed a payment.

Over the next couple of weeks I got about three calls a week harassing me about the payment. I continued to tell them I sent the payment. I finally gave in and stop payment on the first check and sent them another. I called to confirm that the mailing address was correct (I was using the address sticker that came with my payment book). The address had not changed.

Each week for the next 6 weeks or so I continued to get harassed by them 3 or 4 times a week about the payment because somehow they never received the second check that I had sent. It had already cost me $20 to stop payment on the first check they never got. I finally got fed up and asked them for the pay-off amount and told them I was tired of the harassment and mailed a third check for the balance of the loan. It took 22 days for that check to be processed all the while I am getting harassed 3 or 4 time a week and taking negative hits on my credit rating. Here is the kicker... on the same day they processed the pay-off check they also processed the second check I had sent them 6 weeks earlier.

Finally, today I spoke to a gentleman who actually cared and help me resolve the issue. He was going to process the refund for the second check and remove the negative hits to my credit rating. The phone call today was 50 minutes long. So, even though I was never late I was repeatedly harassed, treated like a dead beat, had negative hits on my credit, spent close to 12 man hours on the phone on hold mostly, spent $20 for a stop payment, and now they owe me money. What a freaking joke. Throughout all of this I talked to one person who actually provided customer service the way it should have been handled. Every other person I spoke to over these 90 days couldn't be bothered to help. I thanked the guy today who helped me and told him that if my home was getting foreclosed on and if I didn't have a penny to my name that I would not take a loan from this bank. The way they do business is despicable.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I opened account at Bank of the West. I deposited money into the bank and I had gotten debit card issue and I made some applications in regards to my personal affairs my insurance and they made the first mistake to electronically allow funds to be taken out of my account when I did not authorize it. When I went to the bank and explain the issue they realize that it was not my fault. It was the electronic Bank's fault so they reversed it but they continue to charge overdraft and continue to apply certain payments to my account when there was not enough to cover. I've had fraudulent activity in my account done to my account and with the information submitted there was no communication.

I was talked to horribly over the phone. No communication at all. I had didn't have a chance to validate my information and they just charged off my account and no one will talk to me. I can hardly get anyone on the phone. Even the banker at my Branch he doesn't even know the name of the person he talked to. I keep getting the runaround. They made all kind of assumptions. When I spoke to him over the phone in regards to my claim they chart clothes that they made a decision on my account without informing me and I feel that they should have had my back. What was done to me was horrible. It wasn't a lot of money but it was my account and they turn their backs. I'm going to get a lawyer and I'm going to find and I'm going to get clarity and my money back.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Phone app glitchy. Tried to do Zelle money transfer, kept not going through. Tried again. Both transfers went through (duplicate). Hit with overdraft charge. I transferred back one of the errors. Luckily they referred they reversed fee. But they also reversed one of the error initial duplicate transfers without forewarning or my permission and charged me another fee! For what? Omg. Ludicrous company. Closing account.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Had a loan through Bank of the West, was declared total loss on 1/22/19. Insurance waited until 2/8 to receive a letter of guarantee. Also took them 14 days to issue the information needed to process my Gap insurance. I have been told those checks have been issued by both companies. Bank of the West states it is possibly in processing. May take up to 30 days!! In the meantime they continue to harass and ask for payments. State it will back date to date of loss. I have not issued a payment due to fact if they cannot issue a credit from insurance. I can only imagine how long to get a refund.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had a car loan I paid off in November 2018. It was overpaid by $1000 and needless to say I have been told by numerous different people on the phone that my refund check had been mailed. Here it has been 3 months later and I STILL do not have my refund check Or a lien release for that matter. I have called this place (and let me remind you that you have to wait on the phone every time for over an hour to talk with anyone) and no one will let me talk to the President of the bank. I am fed up, my next step is a lawyer. I literally have called them 8 times so far and every time I get a different answer. Also, I have had several supervisors tell me they will call me back with an answer or solution and they NEVER call me back. This is the most horrible place to bank with ever. It is so frustrating. I can bet you money that if I didn’t pay my bill on time I would have lost my car, however they feel they can just keep lying to me about my own money they owe me.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was a customer at my local branch for 25 years. I get a certified letter telling me my account is being closed. I carry a large balance, excellent credit, have never even bounced a check in my life. Went to the branch, was assured by the manager she would deal with the people in Arizona who sent the letter. Long story short, they close my account FOR NO REASON. It has been 3 weeks, guess what... I still don't have my money! Next step I will be contacting my attorney. Do not do business with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I use Bank of the West for daily banking, an RV loan, and a mortgage. I am greeted by name as I enter the bank, have my problems listened to and solutions offered. Fantastic bank with fantastic people. The mortgage has been the most painless process I have ever encountered. I love my bank and its staff. (Kudos to manager Connie!)

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Bank of the West lost every deposit made yesterday, has acknowledged the problem yet will not put the money back until they fix their computer problem. No reason the money should not be accredited as soon as the problem was discovered. Looking for another bank, needless to say.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Never have I been treated so rudely!!! My father had hip surgery and has been in and out the hospital. I called and made a payment on his car on the 10th of January. On January 18th they came and picked up the car??? I called today to try to get this fixed and was treated like Crap! They would not talk to me because I’m not on the loan... But when I called to make the payment on the 10th they happily took it! They told me they would take money from anyone... I had to wake up my dad and have him authorize for them that it was ok to talk to me. Now they're saying I have to wait for the recovery department to call me before I can get the car back. I told her that was unacceptable because now I’m incurring more fees at the tow yard. She said that wasn’t her problem and that was too bad and I would just have to wait.

When and if I get this car back I will be refinancing it for my dad and I will NEVER do business with this bank. I will also tell as many people as I can to never use this bank. They seriously need to go to school for customer service. But I am a firm believer of What goes around comes around!!! I feel sorry for these people... I hope they don’t treat their family members the same way.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Sold my boat RV in first part of November 2018. Have been on the phone 3 days just this week, they still have not released interest to get a title even after my check cleared my bank on November 19 2018. This is hurting both me and the person I sold to, this is guide boat and he cannot do any business till he has it in his name. As of today 1-17-2019 (almost 60 days) it is still not done and don't know when it will happen due to I am getting 3 different answers to same question ask every time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Updated on 04/08/2019: The seller's lender requested a 15 day payoff & front & back of Title. After finally being connected to the Payoff Dept (a wait as long as 10 mins. at times). When I was finally able to speak with someone to ask for a payoff and a copy of the Title. I was told it would take 7 to 10 days and then they would only fax or snail mail it. They would not email. We asked to have it faxed and follow up with snail mail. When they finally faxed, they only faxed a 10 day payoff (already expired) and only the front of the title. We went back and forth like that for almost 2 weeks. After almost losing the sale, we asked the seller's lender to please get involved. They were also frustrated in the unprofessionalism and incompetence. Never again!!!

Original Review: Paying off Loan - We had an RV that was refinanced with Bank of the West. We sold the RV December 1, 2018. Per the request of the new Lender we called Bank of the West for a copy of the front & back of the Title and a 15 day payoff. The only way BOW would send the requested items is by fax and snail mail so we gave them the fax # & our address. After not receiving anything by fax or mail we called again. This went on 3 weeks. We finally received via fax a copy of front of the Title and a 10 day payoff that was already expired.

Everything finally closed on 12/28/18 but only due to the new Lender that went over and beyond to jump through BOW hoops. On 1/3/19 we received via snail mail a copy of the back of the Title & a payoff on 1/4/19. We also got an alert that there was a change on our credit report. BOW put a zero balance and then put a new balance and then we received another letter stating our new payment and a new coupon book & that started a new set of headaches. We will NEVER do business with BOW and would warn anyone else not to do business with them. They are pathetic and oblivious to Customer Service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I applied for a Bank of the West credit card. Later in the day, I was contacted by the credit department and was asked several questions and then passed their check. He then stated I was approved and the limit was $2000, and I waited 12 days and no card, so I called and asked about it. I was told my app was declined. I said, “NO”, I was given the limit and all. They stated they would check the recording and I was then told to apply again. I did, then needed to go give 2 forms of ID, SSN card and fill out forms (I walked 2 miles to this branch) and waited a week, and then was told again DECLINED...WTF. THIS BANK LIES AND IS HORRIBLE. All the holding, waiting and giving up info to be denied again... Hmmm, never again will Bank of the West get my business nor interest.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have been with Bank of the West since they were Continental Pacific. I Bank in Fairfield California. Recently, they closed their Empire branch and now you can only go to the branch on Oliver Road. Every time I come here now the service is horrible!!! There's only two tellers and there's long lines! They finally made it to where on Friday they're open until 6 (used to be Thursday!), Saturday only till noon! Horrible horrible service. I think I'm ready to go to Wells Fargo now because they are open until 6 every day including Saturday.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Everytime I got call from them or contact back, they treat me like ** and never listening to anything I said. I'm a customer not killer. Pls provide profession, polite and service mind since you are in the service business. Every time I have to deal with this bank I want to refinance my car and get away with nasty, unprofessional and this low class bank. Only time I got professional and nice service from them when I call to complain department.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

First I want to say that I wanted a second bank account so that I can save the little money I receive from one of my daughter's for childcare. It wasn’t much but these days it’s hard to save money. So I opened a account with these people. My daughter posted a 40 dollar payment. I in turn forward to this bank. I went to my local pharmacy to pick up and pay for medicine - my card was not accepted. I call, come to find out my account was closed without my knowledge. Where is my 40 dollars that I transferred to this account. I’m without medicine because of this. I will never do business with this bank again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I went to Bank of the West on my lunch hour, there were 2 cars ahead of me, after waiting for approximately 10-15 minutes for them to complete their banking I pull up to the window. Tellers were there talking to what looked like salesmen for ADP, no acknowledgement, no attention, nothing. I don't look for special attention but my time is also valuable and I have been a customer of Bank of the West for well over 22 years. To make matters worse I called to speak to the manager and she was out, I was told to call back the following day. I asked if the customer service manager was there and she rudely asked what I needed. I explained what had happened and she again rudely asked me what I wanted her to do! Really? I have been in customer service for well over 25 years, when did the customer become unimportant? I will be taking my banking elsewhere! It wasn't the situation. It was how it was handled after the fact!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Be careful with this bank. They are how do you say less than pathetic in the compassion dept. And even if you have an available balance they still will hit you with an overdraft fee even if the transaction happened less than 24 hours of funds being put back to cover horrible and (supervisor) Michelle...??? Should def not be in a supervisor role. Def. more training needed on her part and maybe even anger management?!? Hope and pray you don't encounter her.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Received my credit card bill and upon reviewing it appears that they have added my last month's bill and this month's bill together for the total amount due however this is not correct as it also shows that I paid last month's bill. I attempted to town customer service and was on hold for over 34 minutes yesterday. I then filled out email with an online banking system and was told the amount is correct however it is not. Upon reviewing all of these reviews online it is more convincing to me to not bank here.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was so excited to join the Bank of the West family, for a short while. I attempted to establish a mechanism to pay my monthly house payment via my checking account at Bank of the West. The person in customer service at the Oakland California Branch, Christian, didn't know how to set up bill pay properly, and when the checks are sent for my house payments, the money does not come out of my account. I inquired about this several times but never received a definitive response. Recently I decided to stop bill pay, and called the bank to cancel. I was told that bill pay couldn't be stopped until the following month because they were already processing the current month (really).

As a result, the check hit my account, and instead of Bank of the West returning that one check, they paid the check and then proceeded to mark returned all of my transactions that had been approved. In the end, I was charged $210 for approved charges that were later deemed return to the advantage of the bank. This bank is a fraud, be careful. Finally, the most offensive part was the treatment I received from the employees, especially the new bank manager! Horrible, horrible bank! Beware, stay away!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Bank of the West goes above and beyond all other companies to make their process more difficult for the average person. Their customer service plays into this by not knowing what they are talking about and giving false information. I have found the only way to ensure you get the proper information is to call multiple times, ask the exact same question, take the closest 3 answers and fill in the blanks. Usually I have to call at least 5 times to get 3 answers that are similar in nature. This is assuming that you are able to get through the tangled web of their automated system to get a live representative.

Some days their system is so bad that it is a constant loop of automated answers and simply pressing zero just disconnects the call. Then when you submit forms or payments as discussed with the phone rep the individual processing the transaction will still usually mess it up requiring you to call and play the automated game trying to find someone that can fix the problem. I will NEVER do business with this institution again and I will discourage all that I can from dealing with them saving them the pains that I have to deal with.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this bank since opening my account in November of 2017. I decided to stick it out to see if it would get better but today has proved me wrong. I know I'm only a small fish in their pond but my business means something to me. All business should be equally as important to them but unfortunately that is not the case.

My first issue was when my account was fraudulently breached. I had to pay for a mistake (a very costly one) I did not make. Now moving forward to present I have deposited money to cover unexpected or forgotten transactions but BOTW still rejects the transactions and charges me $35.00 every time for every transaction. Even though I've deposited the cash they say it's not there and tells me to deposit more. It's funny that I can see the deposit on my mobile account and online but they say it's not there. So again I'm charged $35.00. It's ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous getting customer service to treat customers with dignity and respect. Instead they choose to try and make me feel as if I've done something wrong and I have not. I would not recommend this bank to anyone and if you are already banking there I would suggest looking into other options.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have had a mortgage with this bank on auto-pay since Janurary 2006. I received a call this evening and the CID showed Toll Free Call 1-866-243-1808. They stated they were Bank of the West and that a “banker" wanted to discuss redoing my loan. They said they had sent a number of marketing pieces in the mail - I have received NOTHING from them. They obviously had no information about my mortgage account as they were offering a higher interest rate than I actually pay plus the fee for just the paperwork was quoted at $875 plus all the additional title and appraisal costs. They didn't properly identify themselves and they think I should spend at least $2000 to redo a loan that has a higher interest rate than I currently pay.

This is unbelievably bad form on Bank of the West. Their "marketing department" needs to get it together as this makes them look like a total SCAM operation. Over the last 12 years they have made so many mistakes and been so impossible to work with that I would chose ANY OTHER bank for my home mortgage over Bank of the West.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

1st off let me start by saying I have been a Bank of the West customer since almost the day they opened their locations in Reno, Nevada; which was 18 years ago. I currently have two bank accounts, a savings account, a business loan, a business credit card and I process all my credit card transactions through this bank. Dave the branch manager at the Lietzke, Ln branch has single handedly lost my business after 18 years. I will be finding new bank today. On Tuesday I went in to the Reno Nevada branch location and paid $9000 cash towards my business loan. Today is Friday and the loan payment has still not been posted.

After speaking to the only helpful person that I have dealt with through this process (Jennifer... here in Sacramento) I found out that when they made this payment they posted it incorrectly. I spoke to Dave on Wednesday to find out why my payment had not been posted to my account and he basically brushed me off telling me it would take several days and that was about it. Our phone conversation was 48 seconds long.

Now today; 3 days later it's still not posted. when I've been trying to receive help regarding this issue he boldface blatantly lied to the Sacramento location. He told her that on Wednesday he told me he was looking into the payment and why it had not been posted but that is a flat lie. He brushed me off and told me that it would take several days to post and that's it. He talked to me rudely and condescendingly as well as lied about what he said to me. And my payment is still not posted and they're saying it could take another 48 hours to post. Considering it is Friday 48 hours really means for more business days. This is ridiculous and they have lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On September, 18 2018 I had my truck repo. I immediately thought it was stolen for the reason that I had made a payment on that previously Monday. Never did I imagine my truck being repo so I went to the police and they search it. To my surprise it was at the repo yard. So when the finance company finally open I called and ask why was the reason my truck got repo and they said because they’ve been trying to call to schedule a payment and since they don’t get a hold on no one they automatically thought I was trying to avoid not paying the bill. The same lady that help me out don’t took it upon herself to noifty on Monday when I made the payment that my truck was already on the system for repo.

Tuesday when I called it was the same lady. She gave me attitude. I know I wasn’t the one they gave the loan to. It was my dad but I was the one paying for the truck. I’m not gonna lie. I was behind a month and a half but from what I know they can’t repossess your vehicle unless you are three to four months behind. To make matters worst she tells my dad to not let me make any future payments because I’m not in the loan but we did send a paper where my dad sign it saying he was giving me authority to make future payments so don’t know if they lost the paper. But this lady was the worst of the worst you would imagine. I they want is their money but her telling my dad don’t let me make any payments smh unbelievable. Anyways her name is Reyna. I’m pretty sure I’m not the first that has encountered problems with this lady.

Bank of the West Company Information