2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (239 ratings)

About Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I have interviewed 2 financial services and found BOW to offer more options and higher earnings in their portfolios. Their personalized service helped me to understand the whole process better. My advisor took the time I needed to understand the difference between their product and others. The only concern I have is they don’t have much data on their ethical portfolios.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

The bankers are very good, honest people you can work with and trust with your money. I have multiple accounts with the bank. Online banking is excellent. Financed my mortgage through them. It was done well and timely.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

This is the best bank I have ever used! Not even one time have they messed up in all the years I have had my account. Customer service is really good and they don't fool around getting you what you need right away. Before BotW I had ridiculous problems with other banks with stupid policies used that didn't make sense. I highly recommend Bank of the West! Do yourself a favor and switch to Bank for West and relax. They're looking out for you.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Bank of the West was a great bank with great customer support until 2-3 years ago.

- It takes 45-90 minutes to get a person to talk to on customer support line and if they cannot help you they will hang up and not call you back. I was told they are incoming call center and therefore do not call customers back if 2 hours phone call is dropped.
    - They have limits on wire transfers that differ based on how “good” a customer you are.
    - They close accounts without notification.
    - Even if you have millions in their bank they do not treat customers with good service and respect.
    - They do not answer phones when at lunch and do not have a messages stating they are out to lunch.
    - They hide the phone numbers for Executive Offices.
    - If you want to buy a house with a large down payment that requires wire transfers BOW is NOT a bank that wants to make it easy for you to get your money out of.
    - They point fingers at other departments and say they cannot help you because it is the other department's issues and they do not have a way of contacting the other department.
    - Branch Managers and Regional Bank Officers do not have full access to account information to assist customers.

- The website is hard to use and does not integrate with Quicken very well.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Wait times to talk to someone are so long one finally gives up. That has to be their plan. I spent literally hours yesterday trying to talk to someone. After hours of waiting, the woman said she would have to transfer me. She did so & no one ever answered. I have never dealt with a worse financial institution in my life. I have accounts with a bank and two credit unions all have great customer service. As I write this review I have been on hold for 45 minutes. Still no end in sight. I will pay off this loan early & never deal with this bank again.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Do yourself a favor and find another bank to deal with. I have called and left seven messages with the person handling the loan (Ken). I’ve also left two messages with two different supervisors. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t had a single person ever call me back. Maybe if I was borrowing $1 million they would call me but maybe my $75,000 is just not enough for them to want to help me. They will absolutely not call you back and by far have to be the slowest bank I have ever dealt with in my life. It took nine days to approve a loan with a great credit score. By the time the loan was approved the seller grew impatient and sold the boat to someone else Which I can’t blame him because I wouldn’t wait nine days either. So thanks to Bank of the West for me losing out on something we have been wanting for over seven months and searching high and low to find.

Original review: June 30, 2021

The overall experience if you need to communicate with BOW for any reason is just atrocious. I paid off a Jet ski loan and was told it would take 7-10 business days for them to get the electronic lien release for the title, that took 85 minutes of hold time to get that answer. Day 10 I call to check on the status and now the time frame is at least 10 days, that was two on-hold times of 35 minutes and 45 minutes then I am suppose to call a different number. Day 12 they blame it on the state. There is more but it just reinforces what I said in the beginning, absolutely terrible customers service and almost impossible to contact. Never Again!!!!

Original review: May 31, 2021

My husband and I purchased an RV, the initial process was slow and the contact person would not answer calls or emails. We finally got the paperwork and go ahead to purchase the RV after weeks of delay. Long story short it has been almost a year since we bought the RV, we still do not have any title papers, license plates or registration with California DMV. This is a process that was to be handled by the bank. When I tried to contact their Nebraska office that handles RV registrations I had to leave numerous messages and emails were never returned. Of course they always try to blames it on COVID. But please!! A year later and we are still working on this. DO NOT use this bank for an RV loan.

Original review: May 26, 2021

Worst bank ever! Incompetent loan officers, impossible to communicate with and at age 71 and an 800+ credit score, an RV loan with huge down payment shouldn't be any problem. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Avoid this business unless you have NO OTHER CHOICE!

Original review: May 18, 2021

I have been a customer personally and through my business for approximately 22 years. I have endured many mistakes such as the most recent $150,000 bank error. Managers failing to properly close accounts and hours on hold trying to find out what is happening with my account. Yet I decided to apply for a HELOC loan with BOW because I had been with them 22 years. I have excellent credit, a high excellent fico score, minimal debt (car loan just to keep credit up), cash and assets. I applied for 37% of the low end value of my home. After countless requests for information they already had, being sent packets requesting signatures and legal documents that later I was told to dispose of they finally called me with a counter offer. We were being offered 3.1% of our home value. I am insulted, outraged and quite disturbed.

Our sin! We are retired and seniors, we do not have the income stream we used to have. What we do have is assets, great credit, perfect credit history. They did not verify our retirement accounts, other bank accounts or even give us the opportunity to allow these to be a part of the loan application. Imagine if you are retired and traveling and you suddenly cannot use your funds from your account. Terrifying and a huge inconvenience! "Ooops sorry we accidentally put 150k of someone else's money in your account and now we are taking it out with a $35 NSF fee." Who discovered the error, me. How often have you attempted to reach BOW via telephone or online only to be told they were closed (business customers) or systems were down.

I strongly urge you to google the reviews for BOW, here are just a few.

Wallet Hub-689 reviews 2.7 rating
    Trustpilot-32 reviews 1.7 rating
    Yelp-87 reviews 1.5 rating
    BBB-285 complaints in last three years.
    Deposit accounts-44 complaints 2.0 rating

ConsumerAffairs - 39 people took the time to write a one star review in the last year.

That is a lot of unhappy customers!!! How willing are you to let them make mistakes with your money. There are other banks out there and other banks that are willing to take your deposits and be happy to have them. There are other banks that will not insult you with a paltry 3.1% loan because you are on a fixed income. I am joining the ranks of the unhappy BOW customers and pulling all of my funds out and closing all three of my accounts.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I recently paid off my RV loan with Bank of the West. As soon as they received the payoff, they killed my online account. Wondering what happened to my RV title after the loan was paid off, I have been attempting to contact someone with a heart-beat to determine where they sent my RV title. For over two weeks now I have been trying to contact Bank of the West Customer Service for this issue. My god, what a stupid company. It seems like they do EVERYTHING they can to avoid talking to you. This starts out with one of the most onerous computerized phone trees I have ever experienced. Once you navigate their phone tree, you are put on hold for hours with no one ever answering your call. They have NO email customer support, no chat customer support, only their ridiculous telephone system that nobody ever answers. Never again. I will never do business with Bank of the west again. EVER!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I bought a RV in December of 2020 and had no say in who financed it. This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I paid the loan off in early March, 2021. They received payment but held the check and charged interest for the days they had the check. I overpaid and figured like most reputable institutions I would receive a refund. They finally sent my refund the middle of April but kept all but $6.50 of my money. I don't believe this is legal, the date the payment is received is the date the interest should stop not when they get around to processing it. NEVER doing business with BANK OF THE WEST again, as far as I am concerned they stole money from me.

Original review: April 19, 2021

Our car loan was paid off 2 weeks ago. Our buyer is still waiting on car title. Repeated phone calls several days over an hour each... Today one hour 53 minutes so far!! Cannot speak to anyone at this joke. Impossible to reach even online. Will NEVER, EVER do business with this company again. Eventually, they hang up on you. Does not say anything good about their company, their high interest rates, or California in general.

Bank of the West Company Information