1.31/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of the West

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of the West Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Bank of the West is a phenomenal banking institution. It not communicated relative to customer service. They literally practices it each and every day involving all customers. Representatives are more than knowledgeable, welcoming, and willing to provide valuable assistance.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My father had 7 different accounts at this bank. After they helped sort through those and close them out I was so impressed with them that when I moved and learned my current bank didn't have branches here I opened my own account with them 7 years ago. They've been great for me.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Service online was excellent. Updates were readily available and what few times I needed customer they were knowledgeable and friendly. Also, interest rate was competitive and coupon book was accurate.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I use Bank of the West for daily banking, an RV loan, and a mortgage. I am greeted by name as I enter the bank, have my problems listened to and solutions offered. Fantastic bank with fantastic people. The mortgage has been the most painless process I have ever encountered. I love my bank and its staff. (Kudos to manager Connie!)

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have been charged so much money in fees it's unbelievable. All because the way they post your transactions. I check my account often with the app to make sure I've got money. Couple days ago, I knew I had like $8 so I spent $5 at jack in the box. Then I was almost out of gas so I bought $2 in gas to get home. Under the $8 right. Wrong. They decided to back-post an $18 online purchase that wasn't showing until I checked my account over $100 in the negative. I don't get it.

Couple of months ago I tried to buy a couple things online but their watchdog company suspected fraud and denied payment and put a double hold on my account. The girls at my local branch said they've never seen before. So I couldn't purchase when I had money and was able to somehow spend $2 and $5 with no money in my account.

I deposited a paycheck same day, of course that's got a hold on funds. But another online purchase has come through that I made a month ago. It's paid of course with along with another $35 fee. $140 total this time but it's happened so much in the past 5 years. They will always manipulate your posts in their favor. Whether it's a deposit, online charge, debit transaction or ATM withdrawal.

I've written emails asking them to look at my account and see just by switching one post, I could have avoided hundreds of dollars in fees. Also continuing to hold my deposited checks even though I've never had a check come back unpaid. They used to be great but now everything is automated and when you complain you get is an automated response stating bank policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I received my debit card over a month ago and have still not received my pin number. Talked with 8-10 people over the month each promising to send a newly generated pin number. The card sent out said pin would not change but this card rejects the old pin number. Each time I am promised a new number but it never arrives in the mail. I spend 15-45 minutes on the phone each time. They think they have the answer but does not happen. Super frustrating since I don't live in the area. I can't walk in and get a new pin. Totally at the mercy of the customer service people on the phone. Three or four of the phone customer service people I could not understand and were very annoyed and upset by my request to repeat themselves several times so maybe they ignored my request to send a new pin. Others though seem to be competent but still no pin. My thought is it should be an easy process.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

In my 30 + years now with B.O.W I have had minor issues with them. Most no big deal, once they did something to really piss me off and at the time I had financed a truck with them. I had the money to pay for the truck but didn't want to use it and the interest rate wasn't bad so I financed it. After they did whatever it was – I can't remember – I paid the loan off so they wouldn't get any more interest from me. Other than small issues for about 11 years they started calling me literally almost every 3 weeks to verify my last 3 charges on my debit card. Borderline harassment in my opinion so I got a Cabela's credit card and that's all I ever used. Then they charged me 3 overdraft fees for something that wasn't my fault and would only waive 1 of them telling me I had to take it up with the credit card service that double dipped my account so I pulled my money market savings account and put it in my other bank.

Just recently I had a vehicle repair at a local dealer and tried to use my B.O.W Visa to pay for it through a secure text which was declined. About 5 minutes later I get a phone call asking about that charge and I verified it. They said the card would be taken off hold within 30 seconds, I called my wife to have her make the payment over the phone. The very next morning which was a Saturday I stopped in a McDonald's like I do every Saturday so at that time the card was active. After I left work I stopped in at Lowe's to pay for a door I was in the process of working out with them. When I tried to pay with the card it was declined. After trying it again with the same result I called my wife and had her bring her card down. Same thing. Declined. Needless to say I was furious.

We called their 1-800 customer service number to see why. They thought it would be a good idea to play stupid and tell us we would have to go into a branch to get it fixed. Well it's like 1:00PM Saturday so we would now have to wait until Monday. That wasn't going to work for me as I was leaving on vacation for a week the next day Sunday morning and was counting on that card for all the expenses but needless to say they don't give a damn so now I have canceled the card and am in the process of closing my checking and 3 savings accounts I have with them and will never do any business with B.O.W again for any reason.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

When opening an account the lady was so friendly, caring & told me about all kinds of services they offer. I have no credit so she told me about a card they offer which is specifically for getting credit started. It's a secured credit card.so the money on the card is your own money. No risk to the bank. I said great let's do it! I did not think I would get denied since it would be totally supported by my own money & you can not spend more than you have on the card Yet I was denied! Now to me that does not seem like a bank that cares about helping their customers like they say. It was at no risk to them, my account never gets low & yet they are sorry they cannot help me at this time. WHY? I'm very disappointed in you B.O.W! You portray such caring customer ethics but do not follow thru.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Sold my RV on 8/23. Mailed a check (the buyer's) to BOTW same day. Also same day paid small balance by e-payment thru bank. By 8/28, no online access to my acct. Called on 8/28. Balance is zero. When will I get title? Once payment clears, which takes 5 to 10 business days, they'll process title. How long will that process take? 5 to 10 business days. Called 9/13. Title was mailed today. Called 9/23. Yes, title was mailed 9/13, but they won't pursue any follow up until 5 to 10 business days after mailing date. If no title by 9/27 (10th business day after said mailing), they'll initiate a process (you guessed it ... which takes 5 to 10 business days) to review to ensure title is clear.

Wait! You already knew title was clear if you released it on 9/13, so you don't have to start all over. "Well m'am, that's our procedure." Then another 5 to 10 business days to obtain another title. Meanwhile, our buyer's temp registration has expired (it was for three weeks) so can't use RV. So, no title as of 9/24; if none by 9/27 - one day shy of a month since they closed the account - we're facing a minimum of another two sets of 5 to 10 business days.

Oh, if you have a loan with these crazies, first of all my condolences. Second, DO NOT OPT FOR PAPERLESS STATEMENTS. Not only will they stop mailing you statements, they'll stop generating them altogether and you can't even view one online. If you request one, they'll be happy to send you one ... for a fee. Rude, rigid customer service. Oh, and when (not if) you must make that dreaded call, the recording will ALWAYS say they're experiencing a high volume of calls and the hold will be about 12 minutes. That message NEVER changes. I will do without if BOTW is the only bank willing to finance. I recommend the same to you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have consistently requested a payment book and account balance in order to pay off my car loan in full. After six months of not receiving any requested documents indicating my balance, I stopped regular payments as I know I was so close to pay off, and clearly deserved to know the amount remaining. BOW continued to cash my sporadic payments, but never provided any documentation showing me the balance, and had the audacity to report "late payments" which affected my credit. I am consulting with my attorney to possibly sue for their negligence which impacted my credit score.

Bank of the West Company Information