1.29/5

228 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have had a mortgage with this bank on auto-pay since Janurary 2006. I received a call this evening and the CID showed Toll Free Call 1-866-243-1808. They stated they were Bank of the West and that a “banker" wanted to discuss redoing my loan. They said they had sent a number of marketing pieces in the mail - I have received NOTHING from them. They obviously had no information about my mortgage account as they were offering a higher interest rate than I actually pay plus the fee for just the paperwork was quoted at $875 plus all the additional title and appraisal costs. They didn't properly identify themselves and they think I should spend at least $2000 to redo a loan that has a higher interest rate than I currently pay.

This is unbelievably bad form on Bank of the West. Their "marketing department" needs to get it together as this makes them look like a total SCAM operation. Over the last 12 years they have made so many mistakes and been so impossible to work with that I would chose ANY OTHER bank for my home mortgage over Bank of the West.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

1st off let me start by saying I have been a Bank of the West customer since almost the day they opened their locations in Reno, Nevada; which was 18 years ago. I currently have two bank accounts, a savings account, a business loan, a business credit card and I process all my credit card transactions through this bank. Dave the branch manager at the Lietzke, Ln branch has single handedly lost my business after 18 years. I will be finding new bank today. On Tuesday I went in to the Reno Nevada branch location and paid $9000 cash towards my business loan. Today is Friday and the loan payment has still not been posted.

After speaking to the only helpful person that I have dealt with through this process (Jennifer... here in Sacramento) I found out that when they made this payment they posted it incorrectly. I spoke to Dave on Wednesday to find out why my payment had not been posted to my account and he basically brushed me off telling me it would take several days and that was about it. Our phone conversation was 48 seconds long.

Now today; 3 days later it's still not posted. when I've been trying to receive help regarding this issue he boldface blatantly lied to the Sacramento location. He told her that on Wednesday he told me he was looking into the payment and why it had not been posted but that is a flat lie. He brushed me off and told me that it would take several days to post and that's it. He talked to me rudely and condescendingly as well as lied about what he said to me. And my payment is still not posted and they're saying it could take another 48 hours to post. Considering it is Friday 48 hours really means for more business days. This is ridiculous and they have lost a customer.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On September, 18 2018 I had my truck repo. I immediately thought it was stolen for the reason that I had made a payment on that previously Monday. Never did I imagine my truck being repo so I went to the police and they search it. To my surprise it was at the repo yard. So when the finance company finally open I called and ask why was the reason my truck got repo and they said because they’ve been trying to call to schedule a payment and since they don’t get a hold on no one they automatically thought I was trying to avoid not paying the bill. The same lady that help me out don’t took it upon herself to noifty on Monday when I made the payment that my truck was already on the system for repo.

Tuesday when I called it was the same lady. She gave me attitude. I know I wasn’t the one they gave the loan to. It was my dad but I was the one paying for the truck. I’m not gonna lie. I was behind a month and a half but from what I know they can’t repossess your vehicle unless you are three to four months behind. To make matters worst she tells my dad to not let me make any future payments because I’m not in the loan but we did send a paper where my dad sign it saying he was giving me authority to make future payments so don’t know if they lost the paper. But this lady was the worst of the worst you would imagine. I they want is their money but her telling my dad don’t let me make any payments smh unbelievable. Anyways her name is Reyna. I’m pretty sure I’m not the first that has encountered problems with this lady.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

In January of 2018, I got a car loan for $38,500. In July of 2018, the car loan was paid off, and I accidentally made an overpayment of $320. When I realize that I made the overpayment, I called and they said that they would send me a check in five business days. It has been 33 days and I still have not received a check. When I called to ask about the status of the check, they told me that I needed to prove that they were overpaid. I have spoke with several people at the customer service department and nobody seems to know where the money was put, but they said it could take up to several months to get my money back.

Upon paying off my vehicle, I asked for a lean release or proof that the loan was paid off. I was told they would send me a lean release in the mail. It has been over a month and I still do not have any kind of proof that my loan is paid off. When I called and talk to you alone supervisor, through the customer service number, I told her that in my state we need to provide the county clerk with a lien release. She told me that was not her problem and hung up on me. I have called several times, and each person I talk to, says something different. As of right now, the bank has $320 that does not belong to them, and I have no idea how to get it back, and I have no proof that the car is paid off. Do not do business with this bank. You’ll regret it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Oh goodness. Don’t EVER fall on hard or rough times with these people. If you’re 50.00 short on your auto loan, they’ll be sure to call you 50 times daily to remind you just how broke you are! And when we went in to open a saving account the branch manager failed to tell us of the account that was only $25.00 to open. He only mentioned the highest ones because my mother is an elderly woman and I guess he didn’t think I had the slightest clue. Also when they ask me to verify with written consent so they can contact me on my mother's loan, which I have yet to give them, they CONTINUE to call me! But when I call (because I’m not on the loan documents) all of a sudden they can’t discuss it with me. Also when you do call their collections dept. they’re very rude. But we reap what we sow. Lesson learned #138.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

WORST BANK EVER. I only had account for 2 months but had nothing but problems and finally got a letter from them opting to close my account. I opened my account and received my DMV registration. I used bill pay to pay it. I thought that because DMV is one of the largest "companies" in the US it would be in the 21 Century and my payment would electronically be paid. I received my registration and tags in the mail and thought all was well until I came home on a Fri about 2.5 weeks later and got a notice from the bank that a check I had written for $384 had bounced and was charged $35. I immediately called and explained that I had just opened an account and that at my previous bank when I made a bill pay the bank deducted payment at that time so I had a "living" balance so to speak. The rep was good and said he understood and we made a transfer of funds so that they would be there if the DMV tried again and he removed all fees.

Next day I got another snail mail and it said that they had tried to run the check through again, did not go through and charged me ANOTHER $35! (Never did they call or email me). Then the rep said that the DMV could try to cash it up to 4 x and that I should be sure and call the DMV on Monday and make sure that their bank tried to send the $ through again. Although she said they weren't supposed to she made an exception and after 40 minutes was able to remove the second $35 fee.

On Monday I called the DMV and that is where the nightmare started. I called and waited 1 hr. finally got someone who said I needed to call a different number. I called that number, waited another hr, and was disconnected. I called back and got a message that there would be a 72 minute delay. It also said if I wrote a bad check there would be a $30 fee and also a 65% fee of the original amount ($230) unless I could get the bank to say that it was their fault.

I decided to go to the main bank in Stockton and wanted to talk to the supervisor... But she was not in. I instead got the assistant manager. I explained the situation and asked if she could write a letter explaining the misunderstanding. She said she could not do it unless she got prior authorization from someone higher. I waited there for about 45 minutes and in the meantime kept trying to reach out to the DMV. Finally about the time the assistant manager came up with a letter DMV said just to go to the DMV and ask to the manager and take the cash to pay.

At that point I went to the teller and withdrew $384 as instructed by the DMV person on the phone. But something else had occurred in the meantime. On that Saturday I misplaced my debit card. I spoke to someone in customer service and asked what was the last place I used the card and also if he could just place a HOLD on my account so I could check and see if I could find it. Within 45 minutes I called back to notify them I had found it and asked to have the hold removed. She said she would.

On that Monday when removing the $384 to pay the DMV at the teller the teller said that there was a hold on my account. I explained that was not right. That I had put one on Sat but removed same. She said she would take care of it. MORE NIGHTMARE. Bank of the West actually CLOSED MY DEBIT CARD. So I could not withdraw money from the ATM or use my card. I did not find that out until later that week when I was HUMILIATED at Starbucks when I went to pay for a $5 purchase and my card was declined. I called and found out that the person had not put a HOLD on it but closed it without my authorization. I called and the bank said that a new card would take 7-10 business days. So now I could not get money out of my account as it was the weekend and had no access to my $ until Monday.

I talked to a manager at the corporate level and of course, I was upset, who wouldn't be...but he started stating that I was being abusive...which I was amazed at. They did not want to accept any responsibility for their person not doing their job right but wanted to turn the table on me and accuse me of being abusive... because I said that they should let the guy know how much he screwed up my life!!! I also at some point talked to another manager who said that he could not do anything but that I should talk to the retention center. I called the corporate office and asked to talk to the retention area...and the operator said, "What's retention?" She wanted me to give her the definition of retention. Finally she told me there was no retention center and then I called my local bank and asked for the district manager.

In the meantime I received a letter from BOTW stating that they were opting to close my account by Aug 17... another great inconvenience although I was going to close it anyway. And finally today about a week later I got that call after closing one account and removing most of my money from the other from the district manager... a day late and a dollar short? She was aware of my emails and problems but it took her that long to respond. She could have salvaged this account if she had called earlier. None of this would have occurred... And btw when you call for customer service for online banking you have extremely long waits. So I am in the midst of going elsewhere... and happy to say my nightmare with this bank will end. I will be surprised to see if they actually post this. Let's see if they can accept criticism.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I paid off my car loan on July 3rd 2018 at the Chatsworth branch in Calif. 2 weeks later I am told it never happened. They have no record of my payment, yet my check was cashed at my bank. I have made Several calls to the bank in Chatsworth and their headquarters in Nebraska. After last calls they said they are researching the problem. It has been over 3 weeks and the problems has not been resolved. To me this feels like a very shady practice. I would never use this bank again!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

This has been a horrible bank for us. When my dad died they "accidentally" froze all the accounts associated with him so mom had no money for at least a week. We checked with them after dad's death to take care of trust and make, almost 6 months ago, but now they refuse to DEPOSIT checks made out to the trust because they are to mom AND dad. The other bank where we are moving her accounts deposit checks fine that are made out to both of them even with an AND.

Absolutely ridiculous. Causing much frustration and pain for mom.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I went in to close a savings account because I was not using it and because I had another savings account in another bank with better interest rates (that's not saying much). A week later I went to my online banking and my active checking account was missing and only the savings account which I had closed was there with a zero balance. I called the branch on Martin Luther King Blvd., and they said that in order to have my checking account online I had to fill out some paperwork.

My checking account had been online before I closed the savings account. I have no idea why they would just delete my checking account from online banking except for their massive incompetence. Over the past several years this bank has been slow to get accounts online, and has made errors causing me huge inconveniences. As a senior, I do not want to call the bank or have to go down to the bank every time there is an issue. That's why banks have online banking, so that they can make their contact with consumers as minimal as possible.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I banked there for 28 years with no apparent problem except they failed to notify me. I qualified for free checking which they continued to collect fees for after I turned 55. Recently I had a family tragedy when both my younger brothers died traumatic deaths in a short period of time. I was devastated and faced with a horrible task to reconcile two estates.

A Bank of the West branch manager in Los Altos, CA decided she needed to give me a lecture about dealing with emotional losses shortly after one brother hung himself and the second brother was diagnosed with an always lethal aggressive brain cancer. I asked her to just attend to the banking task I was there for and leave the lecture alone. Shortly after that this branch manager cancelled my bank accounts therefore heaping a large and onerous additional pile of stress and work on me. This person is clearly a sick individual who has severe psych. problems. The B of the W. management was every bit has flaky and mean spirited as the sick branch manager.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We wish we had never allowed anything to be financed through Bank of the West. Can't get anyone until you hold for 20 min. Then they have to put in work orders for anything you need that takes several days to a week! They get attitude when you let them know your needs. They are not about serving their customers with quality.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I re-financed my motor home & ended up w/ BOTW. Long story short, they have absolute idiots as CSRs, not to mention rude. Since the inception of my loan with BOTW, I have been making additional payments each month & each payment has been clearly marked as PRINCIPAL ONLY PAYMENT. With each check that I mailed to them, this was also noted in my cover letter in bold lettering, all CAPS & underlined.

What the morons at BOTW simply do not accomplish is reading the instructions in my letters or the memo on the check that clearly reads PRINCIPAL PAYMENT ONLY. So over the course of this loan, the idiots at BOTW charged me interest on four different principal only payments. This of course caused me to have to call these morons to have it fixed, as well has having to get supervisors on the phone because their CSRs either do not speak English worth a crap, they do not listen to what I'm telling them, or they rudely (& continually) interrupt me as I'm speaking. One CSR even had the gall to tell me that I was wrong & that the charged interest was correct on a principal only payment.

I was lucky enough to be able to pay off this loan & no longer have to deal with the clowns at BOTW. What they lost in potential interest by my closing out this loan may or may not amount too much. But they can blame their loss on their slipshod business & customer practices. Do not do business with these iggits. They don't deserve it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We searched and found a great rate for an RV Loan at BOTW (Bloomington) where we live in MN. Logan and Jarod were outstanding in handling our business - professional, personable, and found the answers we needed to move ahead with our business; we are nothing but highly satisfied with this branch.

Original review: June 5, 2018

** at Bank of the West at 505 Montgomery St in San Francisco was very rude and asked inappropriate personal questions. He also demanded that I tell him names of previous banks where I banked in the past and where I currently bank. When I refused to answer, stating that this information has nothing to do with my banking at Bank of The West, he said he will close my account and hung up.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They keep changing the website and confusing customers. The HELOC loan statements do not show balance forward after each transaction, just the starting and ending balance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Bank of the West is the worst bank I have ever had, they charge fees for everything and steal money from you, I added all deposits for the yr and everything that has ever been deducted and I have over $400 missing money unaccounted for. I checked this because my account was always being charged NSF fees when I had enough money to cover costs. They are far worse than Wells Fargo; I have stopped my direct deposits and closing out my account! Their customer service is horrible, they don't care about their members, nor care to investigate any issues you are having. Do not sign up with Bank of the West!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I opened a new account a couple of weeks ago and I had filled out my direct deposit with my employer but it did not process this payday which was the 4th of May. They sent me a live check and I used the mobile app to deposit. I was lead to believe when I had asked an agent that it would not be a problem and it would be available in 2 to 3 business days. Well then I was told that it was now going to be available on May 17th. I got paid on the 4th. I have 4th stage metastatic melanoma, which is spreading rapidly. I have a new medication that is waiting to be picked up and that is very expensive called **. I have no money to be able to get it and I need to buy groceries, pay bills, give kids school lunch money... etc. The teller at the branch was nice and tried to help but no luck.

I have got to have this money. I live paycheck to paycheck and by the time I get this available, it will be my next paycheck. I have no way to provide to my family but by this paycheck. I know there is someone that can release this but they refuse. I am a hardworking mother and grandmother and I have been told 3 different stories. I was told it would be available in 2 to 3 business days to you will have 200 available on Saturday to now it is May 17th before you can get any of your money you work so hard for. I have bills that have to be paid. I am just so upset that I would be treated this way and be given so many different answers. I will go to Facebook, Twitter, and every social media site I can. How sad this is!!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Called Bank of the West customer service to cancel this monthly fee, they refuse to do it. They say go online and do it yourself. Bad customer service, bad attitude, just another way for rip off banks to take your money.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Applied for $650,000,000 agricultural division loan. Provided major application package. Eight businessmen partners. New ranch corporation holding company in new Mexico. VP agriculture reviewed package and offered to provide an equity partner for downpayment. VP making loan asked me for the CEO's job and he was making the loan. Loan verbally, prelim approved. Several ranches and cattle under purchase contract by group, CEO did not get the top job-denied. This is illegal for banker to make a loan and get a job at same company. VP banker no job so he changed all the loan terms previously offered ruined loan. SEC and bank regs say this is illegal. It cost our group the whole project as critical time was lost. Reported crime to OCC and bank denied all twice. Criminal charges should be file here. Major damages in millions. Prosecution here? Bad experience trying to get OCC and SEC help.

Original review: April 19, 2018

My business, which did bank at Bank of the West (BofW), was fraudulently scammed in an equipment purchase by a business banking at another US bank. When the fraud was disclosed to the banks, BofW was slow and seemingly unconcerned in pursuing the matter. The other bank could not talk to me as I don't bank there but I was told by them that BofW needed to contact them to resolve the issue. In frustration at the lack of communication between the banks, I filed complaints with the FDIC and CFPB as well as AGs and finally got to talk to someone at the other bank who told me that they would have refunded the money (1000's) if the Bank of the West had responded to their request for a letter of indemnity.

Bank of the West denies this and after 4 months they have stopped communications... dropped the ball! So now I have 2 choices: start filing more complaints or give it up. In BofW's defense, I have to say that most of the Branch workers were courteous, but I was put off by a few managers (and one with rudeness) and no one did anything without a lot of pushing from my end. And both banks still cannot agree on how it was handled (or actually not handled!). I have been in touch with others who were caught in the same scam and all were refunded their lost money... none of them banked at BofW. I no longer trust my money with Bank of the West.

Original review: April 7, 2018

In November of 2017 I accidentally overdrew my account. We paid the fees, and I went to my online banking profile, where I was able to opt out of overdraft protection. Problem solved... until February of 2018 when my account was once again overdrawn and hundreds of dollars in fees were charged. Checking my online banking profile, I discovered my account was once again set to receive overdraft protection. Once again, I turned it off.

Upon meeting with the branch manager, I was told that the only thing he could see was that my overdraft protection was turned off today. When pressed, he said it was true that I had not even logged into my account today, but I had logged in on April 4th, and sometimes it can "take a couple of days" for changes to take effect. Convenient. I logged in on April 4th to see whether a check had cleared, and nothing else. He wouldn't even consider that there may be a problem with their system. In so many words, he accused me of lying. As soon as I get my direct deposit transferred, I am closing my account. Keep an eye on your overdraft protection. They have already settled one lawsuit for fraud related to overdraft fees.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I will say when you talk to Bank of the West employees at the branch or on the phone they are helpful and very nice people. However to be able to reach them is a total nightmare. You have to follow their automatic system witch lack some of the question you have. Mine was about a loan already paid off. It took a long long time to be able to get the info.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have always had positive experiences when dealing with BOTW branch banking representatives. They are always friendly and efficient. I cannot say that about their telephone banking reps however. Most of them appear to be very young females who are inexperienced at customer service, ill-equipped to deal with the public, and can become very arrogant and bossy if you have a complaint. The last one I dealt with had no tact and did not know how to handle an unhappy, dissatisfied customer. She talked down to me as if she was in charge of everything, the customer is always wrong, and I was a child who needed to be put in their place. I finally had enough. I ended up hurling the "b" word at her and hung up. I must have gotten blocked because I was unable to contact another telephone banking representative.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have only had exceptional service with friendly, professional help from everyone at Bank of the West. They always go to bat for me when I get scammed or ripped-off. They are fast in their investigation and have recovered money I thought was gone. Hundreds of dollars have been returned to my account when someone got my number and used it for numerous Uber rides in England. That was one of many times they helped resolve problems. I have read some of the bad reviews written about the bank. I can only assume that those people's standards are too high for anyone to meet. They have only exceeded in meeting my needs and were super friendly and professional doing it. They are my best bank yet.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I am a small business owner in Illinois. I recently found that an ex-employee had gained access to our business checking account. He purchased a car in Oct or Nov. 2016. He called in his car payments to BANK OF THE WEST and gave them OUR BUSINESS account info to pay his car payments. BOW was able to access the phone recording where this person states he is a signer on the account. I also sent them the bank signature cards they requested from our bank. Now BOW won't return my calls and states their "investigation dept." has closed the case. I just attempted to contact them again and was informed there is NO investigation dept. I have filed charges in Illinois against the ex-employee. BOW will not cooperate in providing a name and contact number for the State's Attorney to speak with them. This is so illegal and unethical! STAY AWAY FROM BANK OF THE WEST.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

After having banked with four other financial institutions, I feel I am of the informed opinion to unequivocally state that: this bank is by far the worst I've yet to encounter. Here's why (not exhaustive): The bankers are rude across the state of California (irrespective of my consistent six figure balance- I can only imagine how badly they treat clients with a lower balance). There are lots of fees, many of which are unbeknownst to a client (unless you actually read the 56+ page contract). Horrible telephone customer support. Very limited hours of operation compared to other banks. The various branches aesthetic resembles that of the DMV (and have the same impersonal, bureaucratic, and unwelcoming vibe). Complaints are never addressed. I could quibble on and on but, the point is: look elsewhere, this bank is atrocious.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

For the past month I have been trying to close my bank account with Bank of the West. I have contacted all businesses that I had direct deposit with to let them know that the account is closed and gave them all my new bank info. However something is definitely wrong since I'm still receiving bank statement from Bank of the West and the direct deposits are still being deposited when the account is supposed to be closed. I have been in 3x to find out why the account is still open and they all claim that it is closed yet no one has or will give me any form of confirmation that the account has in fact been closed.

With all the ridiculous amount of fees this bank demands it doesn't surprise me if they keep it open on purpose just so the account will accumulate fees. All my debits cards have been turned off. So once again I have no choice but to deal with incompetent bank reps. On my day off. Think this time I'm going to seek legal action for I don't know any other way to get through to them to CLOSE all accounts.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

In preparation for my 2017 tax return, I ran across a year-old file with an account number and debit card, along with a statement with $120 remaining in my account with BOTW. I call them (spoke to a rep then supervisor named "Latrell") and after giving them all the information about me over the phone, they state they cannot help me. No other reason given beyond that. After giving you my social? My business' name? Fine, I moved on to another financial institution and operations without your bank, but I'm not giving up on $120 now, out of principle. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

BOW added a "new" $15 fee to my 12 yr old $0 fee money market. So on Jan 31 2018 I changed the money market account to an any deposit checking account at the clerk's suggestion. Today in my balances I see I was charged $13 dollars for that last January business day, $13 dollars! I am on my way to my local branch to close the new account. Running some kind of BOW ripoff okie dokie game here? I am a senior, there are laws to protect old people like me from financial abuse like this!!! Snakes! Not only am I looking for a new bank but they are losing my family business account of $220K. Enjoy the stolen 13 bucks because it's the last dime you will see from us.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

To my knowledge I never signed up for a Gold Line account, but one was created for my regular checking account. There were fees and deposits done automatically, which I didn't know was happening because I'm not that attentive to monthly banking activity. My needs are simple. As a result, I ended up losing several hundred dollars. I think this was one of those situations where you will automatically get this account unless you specifically say you don't want it. I remember seeing it and deciding I didn't want to sign up for it, but I imagine I needed to decline it. This is a dishonest practice, in my opinion. It lacks transparency and takes advantage of people.

Bank of the West Company Information