3.6/5 (217 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Bank of the West

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: March 31, 2022

I opened an account with Bank of the West because they were offering a $250 sign up bonus after 90 days with direct deposit and because I was taking a trip to Mexico and I was told that to buy Pesos I would be charged the current days mid-market exchange rate plus an additional $17 for processing and delivery. Then on the day I went to order them they overcharged me by about $130. Then, when in Mexico I tried to establish a transfer from my prior account with another bank to the BOTW account. It was flagged as fraud and my account was frozen because of the Mexico IP address.

So when I returned, I informed them that there was no fraud, I did try to make a transfer, but they insisted on closing my account anyways. So at this point they had cheated me out of the $250 bonus and the $130 overcharge for the Pesos. Then they sent me a check for my balance and deducted $6.00 from it! In the meantime, I spoke with the branch manager 4 weeks ago (Sonja) who told me she would get back to me via phone AND e-mail. I have e-mailed her about 7 times since then and she is completely ignoring me! This bank's practices are criminal and their unprofessional manner is appalling.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I went online to my account, it said I was locked out. I had them send me a code. It said wrong code, resend. I had them resend the code. Again, it said wrong code. I called the 800 number. I was on hold for 30 minutes. When she finally answered, I asked her if we were disconnected would she call me back. She said, "No, we don't have that ability." Then she tells me she would have to transfer you to online services. The message came on saying the wait is 60 minutes. I had to hang up because I had to leave. I called back this afternoon, after waiting over an hour on hold a voice came on saying sorry we cannot help you, call back. UGH Worst customer service ever!!!!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Rude for sure! After speaking with someone about a late payment to let them know I made it online I asked a question regarding the posting of that payment so calls would stop and lady said, "I just explained all that to you so have a nice day or evening wherever you are!" Wow I just needed clarification because the call was breaking up lady! I will be so thankful when this loan is paid off and will never use this bank again!

Original review: March 24, 2022

I wish I read reviews before I opened account with them. Bottom line, please stay away from them. I cannot access my account. I cannot get money transferred out. As others mentioned I was on hold for hours and not much help you get there either. You need to go to branch. The teller in branch is so useless and they have to call in and not able to assist you at all. This was my experience as of March 24, 2022. For your own sake please stay away from them.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I had problems from day 1. This is absolutely the worst bank. Who is the CEO. Please hire more employees. I don't want 45--60, min wait when I call to inquire about my money. Do it right or don't do it at all. When you have a scheduled transfer don't deviate. My is are so unreal. I was disappointed With the banking commission. CEO should be ashamed of the work. Automated call distribution manage your service level. We don't care about clients you won't finance. I got solution. Hire me as CEO. I will elevate this bank to 1rillion in assets inside 5 years. This most recent issue started with external transfer initiated on March 16th 2022. Spoke to rep Friday March 18th lied. Said it would arrive on monday March 21st. It Did not. Branch manager he lied. Said back office is processing by midnight meanwhile the date of arrival 03/23/22. Why the jet eye mind trick. Be honest with your customers..something Bank of the West needs to practices.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I just paid off my Bank of the West Home credit line I've had for approximately 5 years or so out of escrow from a new loan I took out on my home. B of the West although paid by wire in full on the first of Feb, failed to record the payoff and continued to call me that the loan was past due. Weeks of this went by without them recording the payoff and they continued to call and mail me.

Then I noticed they had placed a 30 day late payment on my credit report, dropping my credit score by 30 points. My account is gone from the automated system, so nothing is available. After numerous calls my new loan officer finally got a hold of the dept. that handles this. They still had no record of the payoff. After supplying them with the wire transfers they finally agreed to settle the loan. This was very time consuming and they were not helpful but rather extremely difficult over the situation that was their error. I STILL have no record the loan was settled...

Meanwhile now they claim the 30 day late they reported was a missing payment in Jan. Once again my loan officer from the new bank tried to clear this up and met with nothing but hostility. They claim the payment was never made. I produced my canceled check for that payment that HAS my loan number ON the check. Obviously they received it, cashed it, and failed to credit the proper account. Now I'm waiting for them to screw around and try to figure out internally what they did. Meanwhile my credit which is VERY important to me is suffering. How long and how much time will this take?? Who knows. My time is very valuable, I don't know about yours.

If this is the kind of bank that appeals to you....good luck. I can tell you they are NOT helpful, and could care less. Any mistakes THEY make will be your problem not theirs. If you have hours and hours to spend trying to do their job....so be it. They no doubt spend a LOT of $$$ trying to get new customers but can't seem to complete simple banking practices without creating a nightmare for the customers they have. I will NEVER under ANY circumstances do ANYTHING with this bank again. And...I am not a difficult customer, I hate confrontation, but this is infuriating....

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

We had a commercial loan with them and when the term was coming up, we didn't receive a single notice about it or asked if we wanted to refinance. Out of the blue, we get a letter stating the FULL BALANCE of the loan was due. We were on monthly autopay this whole time so wasn't expecting this at all. Then after receiving the notice, we get a call from the bank asking if we wanted to refinance. A bit late since they were already planning to charge us huge late fees! All the paperwork to refinance would take weeks or months while the interest and late fees keep adding on. Luckily, we had enough to pay off the loan. If we didn't, Bank of the West would have caused us financial ruin.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I would never do business again with this bank. They are very incompetent and their customer service is terrible. I bought an RV with a loan from them in November of 2020. I paid off the loan in May of 2021 but I never got the plates and title. Every time I called they said they were working okay. In December of 2021 after calling every month about it they said they could not get it done and they sent me all the paperwork for me to handle it. I did at that time registered it in a different state. It took multiple calls and talking to different people for them to understand that I was owed money to my name from the tax and title fees. They kept telling me I had to find out from Essex (it looks like they bought that bank and they handle the RV loans from them). They made me call them and of course they said I had to talk to Bank of the West not them.

It is two months later now and I am still trying to get a check for the amount that they owe me for the taxes and title fees. They said it mailed 2 weeks ago and they have to send me another one but if I want it via Fedex I have to pay for it myself. I do not recommend doing business with this bank. I will never do anything with them ever again.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

I got two letters from them that I was preapproved for their credit card. I applied and later got a refused letter from them. Told me the reason is "Unable to Verify Identity of Applicant" with a report of my credit score over 800. How they got my credit score without having my identity? I called the number on the refusing letter, could not get through for choosing the options were told on the phone. I called the number on the preapproved letter that was credit department. They could not gave me a reason and transferred me to a different department which was not related. This department told me they would transfer me to the related department then the line was cut off.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Having great credit I signed for a 20 years RV loan at 7.5%. It has been 14 years and after paying my normal payment every month I'm told, "We never received your payment." After telling several people that I made my payment it was deducted from my checking account on Jan 19th. I sent them proof of payment last week because the email that was given to me couldn't be delivered after several attempts. What is wrong with you people???

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Bank of the West Company Information