2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (236 ratings)

About Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

BEWARE, Bank of the West has ABSOLUTELY NO CUSTOMER SERVICE WHATSOEVER! THE WAIT TIMES ARE RIDICULOUS and if you do get through there are scripted answers to your questions. Good luck getting a title issued if you pay off a loan. HORRIBLE BANK TO DEAL WITH!!! Will NEVER go near them and if you are smart, you never will either.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Last week I made a deposit in person with the teller at the Beverly Hills Branch: the bank itself looks like a dark studio set in a scary movie; across the Hall from Citibank… The employees working there are demure, uninviting… If the ATM was working I’d never enter the branch… Yesterday I was on hold for 50 minutes trying to talk with a rep about a $35 charge to my account: I was explained that was an error and as a courtesy the charge would be reimbursed. I did not write a check, nor should an erroneous charge be “courtesy return”… best part is the employee on the other end started to cry…? Bank of the West seems to have an unbelievable amount of 1star ratings - it’s actually shocking! Stealing money from your entrusted consumers is not acceptable… (no, so far the missing $35 have not been returned).

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

IMPOSSIBLE TO GET CASH BACK AT $25, ARDUOUS AT BEST and they don't honor the category promised at the 3% level of reimbursement....Also getting the cash back is a joke. It's has to be ordered via outside vendor....BEWARE OF THIS BANK CARD

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

We have a 5th wheel trailer financed through them and it is horrible. Your monthly payment goes to interest and hardly anything to principal! Don't ever use them for a loan. We will never pay this off!

Original review: July 28, 2021

This company has a real problem with access. My online service wouldn't allow me access. I called the phone tree and was put on hold for 40 minutes until I just hung up. I called my local bank and they just connected me back to the phone tree, where I sat on hold for 30 minutes until they told me that I would have to call back before 5:00 tomorrow because this is a business account. I can't get help from them by phone, computer or in person. We are talking about MY money. I need professionals. Time to switch. NOTE TO NEW CUSTOMERS.... RUN.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Bank of the West was a great bank with great customer support until 2-3 years ago.

- It takes 45-90 minutes to get a person to talk to on customer support line and if they cannot help you they will hang up and not call you back. I was told they are incoming call center and therefore do not call customers back if 2 hours phone call is dropped.
    - They have limits on wire transfers that differ based on how “good” a customer you are.
    - They close accounts without notification.
    - Even if you have millions in their bank they do not treat customers with good service and respect.
    - They do not answer phones when at lunch and do not have a messages stating they are out to lunch.
    - They hide the phone numbers for Executive Offices.
    - If you want to buy a house with a large down payment that requires wire transfers BOW is NOT a bank that wants to make it easy for you to get your money out of.
    - They point fingers at other departments and say they cannot help you because it is the other department's issues and they do not have a way of contacting the other department.
    - Branch Managers and Regional Bank Officers do not have full access to account information to assist customers.

- The website is hard to use and does not integrate with Quicken very well.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Wait times to talk to someone are so long one finally gives up. That has to be their plan. I spent literally hours yesterday trying to talk to someone. After hours of waiting, the woman said she would have to transfer me. She did so & no one ever answered. I have never dealt with a worse financial institution in my life. I have accounts with a bank and two credit unions all have great customer service. As I write this review I have been on hold for 45 minutes. Still no end in sight. I will pay off this loan early & never deal with this bank again.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Do yourself a favor and find another bank to deal with. I have called and left seven messages with the person handling the loan (Ken). I’ve also left two messages with two different supervisors. It’s been two weeks and I haven’t had a single person ever call me back. Maybe if I was borrowing $1 million they would call me but maybe my $75,000 is just not enough for them to want to help me. They will absolutely not call you back and by far have to be the slowest bank I have ever dealt with in my life. It took nine days to approve a loan with a great credit score. By the time the loan was approved the seller grew impatient and sold the boat to someone else Which I can’t blame him because I wouldn’t wait nine days either. So thanks to Bank of the West for me losing out on something we have been wanting for over seven months and searching high and low to find.

Original review: June 30, 2021

The overall experience if you need to communicate with BOW for any reason is just atrocious. I paid off a Jet ski loan and was told it would take 7-10 business days for them to get the electronic lien release for the title, that took 85 minutes of hold time to get that answer. Day 10 I call to check on the status and now the time frame is at least 10 days, that was two on-hold times of 35 minutes and 45 minutes then I am suppose to call a different number. Day 12 they blame it on the state. There is more but it just reinforces what I said in the beginning, absolutely terrible customers service and almost impossible to contact. Never Again!!!!

Original review: May 31, 2021

My husband and I purchased an RV, the initial process was slow and the contact person would not answer calls or emails. We finally got the paperwork and go ahead to purchase the RV after weeks of delay. Long story short it has been almost a year since we bought the RV, we still do not have any title papers, license plates or registration with California DMV. This is a process that was to be handled by the bank. When I tried to contact their Nebraska office that handles RV registrations I had to leave numerous messages and emails were never returned. Of course they always try to blames it on COVID. But please!! A year later and we are still working on this. DO NOT use this bank for an RV loan.

Bank of the West Company Information