1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

240 Bank of the West Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Sold my boat RV in first part of November 2018. Have been on the phone 3 days just this week, they still have not released interest to get a title even after my check cleared my bank on November 19 2018. This is hurting both me and the person I sold to, this is guide boat and he cannot do any business till he has it in his name. As of today 1-17-2019 (almost 60 days) it is still not done and don't know when it will happen due to I am getting 3 different answers to same question ask every time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Paying off Loan - We had an RV that was refinanced with Bank of the West. We sold the RV December 1, 2018. Per the request of the new Lender we called Bank of the West for a copy of the front & back of the Title and a 15 day payoff. The only way BOW would send the requested items is by fax and snail mail so we gave them the fax # & our address. After not receiving anything by fax or mail we called again. This went on 3 weeks. We finally received via fax a copy of front of the Title and a 10 day payoff that was already expired.

Everything finally closed on 12/28/18 but only due to the new Lender that went over and beyond to jump through BOW hoops. On 1/3/19 we received via snail mail a copy of the back of the Title & a payoff on 1/4/19. We also got an alert that there was a change on our credit report. BOW put a zero balance and then put a new balance and then we received another letter stating our new payment and a new coupon book & that started a new set of headaches. We will NEVER do business with BOW and would warn anyone else not to do business with them. They are pathetic and oblivious to Customer Service.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I applied for a Bank of the West credit card. Later in the day, I was contacted by the credit department and was asked several questions and then passed their check. He then stated I was approved and the limit was $2000, and I waited 12 days and no card, so I called and asked about it. I was told my app was declined. I said, “NO”, I was given the limit and all. They stated they would check the recording and I was then told to apply again. I did, then needed to go give 2 forms of ID, SSN card and fill out forms (I walked 2 miles to this branch) and waited a week, and then was told again DECLINED...WTF. THIS BANK LIES AND IS HORRIBLE. All the holding, waiting and giving up info to be denied again... Hmmm, never again will Bank of the West get my business nor interest.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I have been with Bank of the West since they were Continental Pacific. I Bank in Fairfield California. Recently, they closed their Empire branch and now you can only go to the branch on Oliver Road. Every time I come here now the service is horrible!!! There's only two tellers and there's long lines! They finally made it to where on Friday they're open until 6 (used to be Thursday!), Saturday only till noon! Horrible horrible service. I think I'm ready to go to Wells Fargo now because they are open until 6 every day including Saturday.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Everytime I got call from them or contact back, they treat me like ** and never listening to anything I said. I'm a customer not killer. Pls provide profession, polite and service mind since you are in the service business. Every time I have to deal with this bank I want to refinance my car and get away with nasty, unprofessional and this low class bank. Only time I got professional and nice service from them when I call to complain department.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

First I want to say that I wanted a second bank account so that I can save the little money I receive from one of my daughter's for childcare. It wasn’t much but these days it’s hard to save money. So I opened a account with these people. My daughter posted a 40 dollar payment. I in turn forward to this bank. I went to my local pharmacy to pick up and pay for medicine - my card was not accepted. I call, come to find out my account was closed without my knowledge. Where is my 40 dollars that I transferred to this account. I’m without medicine because of this. I will never do business with this bank again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I went to Bank of the West on my lunch hour, there were 2 cars ahead of me, after waiting for approximately 10-15 minutes for them to complete their banking I pull up to the window. Tellers were there talking to what looked like salesmen for ADP, no acknowledgement, no attention, nothing. I don't look for special attention but my time is also valuable and I have been a customer of Bank of the West for well over 22 years. To make matters worse I called to speak to the manager and she was out, I was told to call back the following day. I asked if the customer service manager was there and she rudely asked what I needed. I explained what had happened and she again rudely asked me what I wanted her to do! Really? I have been in customer service for well over 25 years, when did the customer become unimportant? I will be taking my banking elsewhere! It wasn't the situation. It was how it was handled after the fact!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Be careful with this bank. They are how do you say less than pathetic in the compassion dept. And even if you have an available balance they still will hit you with an overdraft fee even if the transaction happened less than 24 hours of funds being put back to cover horrible and (supervisor) Michelle...??? Should def not be in a supervisor role. Def. more training needed on her part and maybe even anger management?!? Hope and pray you don't encounter her.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Received my credit card bill and upon reviewing it appears that they have added my last month's bill and this month's bill together for the total amount due however this is not correct as it also shows that I paid last month's bill. I attempted to town customer service and was on hold for over 34 minutes yesterday. I then filled out email with an online banking system and was told the amount is correct however it is not. Upon reviewing all of these reviews online it is more convincing to me to not bank here.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was so excited to join the Bank of the West family, for a short while. I attempted to establish a mechanism to pay my monthly house payment via my checking account at Bank of the West. The person in customer service at the Oakland California Branch, Christian, didn't know how to set up bill pay properly, and when the checks are sent for my house payments, the money does not come out of my account. I inquired about this several times but never received a definitive response. Recently I decided to stop bill pay, and called the bank to cancel. I was told that bill pay couldn't be stopped until the following month because they were already processing the current month (really).

As a result, the check hit my account, and instead of Bank of the West returning that one check, they paid the check and then proceeded to mark returned all of my transactions that had been approved. In the end, I was charged $210 for approved charges that were later deemed return to the advantage of the bank. This bank is a fraud, be careful. Finally, the most offensive part was the treatment I received from the employees, especially the new bank manager! Horrible, horrible bank! Beware, stay away!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Bank of the West goes above and beyond all other companies to make their process more difficult for the average person. Their customer service plays into this by not knowing what they are talking about and giving false information. I have found the only way to ensure you get the proper information is to call multiple times, ask the exact same question, take the closest 3 answers and fill in the blanks. Usually I have to call at least 5 times to get 3 answers that are similar in nature. This is assuming that you are able to get through the tangled web of their automated system to get a live representative.

Some days their system is so bad that it is a constant loop of automated answers and simply pressing zero just disconnects the call. Then when you submit forms or payments as discussed with the phone rep the individual processing the transaction will still usually mess it up requiring you to call and play the automated game trying to find someone that can fix the problem. I will NEVER do business with this institution again and I will discourage all that I can from dealing with them saving them the pains that I have to deal with.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had nothing but problems with this bank since opening my account in November of 2017. I decided to stick it out to see if it would get better but today has proved me wrong. I know I'm only a small fish in their pond but my business means something to me. All business should be equally as important to them but unfortunately that is not the case.

My first issue was when my account was fraudulently breached. I had to pay for a mistake (a very costly one) I did not make. Now moving forward to present I have deposited money to cover unexpected or forgotten transactions but BOTW still rejects the transactions and charges me $35.00 every time for every transaction. Even though I've deposited the cash they say it's not there and tells me to deposit more. It's funny that I can see the deposit on my mobile account and online but they say it's not there. So again I'm charged $35.00. It's ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous getting customer service to treat customers with dignity and respect. Instead they choose to try and make me feel as if I've done something wrong and I have not. I would not recommend this bank to anyone and if you are already banking there I would suggest looking into other options.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have had a mortgage with this bank on auto-pay since Janurary 2006. I received a call this evening and the CID showed Toll Free Call 1-866-243-1808. They stated they were Bank of the West and that a “banker" wanted to discuss redoing my loan. They said they had sent a number of marketing pieces in the mail - I have received NOTHING from them. They obviously had no information about my mortgage account as they were offering a higher interest rate than I actually pay plus the fee for just the paperwork was quoted at $875 plus all the additional title and appraisal costs. They didn't properly identify themselves and they think I should spend at least $2000 to redo a loan that has a higher interest rate than I currently pay.

This is unbelievably bad form on Bank of the West. Their "marketing department" needs to get it together as this makes them look like a total SCAM operation. Over the last 12 years they have made so many mistakes and been so impossible to work with that I would chose ANY OTHER bank for my home mortgage over Bank of the West.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

1st off let me start by saying I have been a Bank of the West customer since almost the day they opened their locations in Reno, Nevada; which was 18 years ago. I currently have two bank accounts, a savings account, a business loan, a business credit card and I process all my credit card transactions through this bank. Dave the branch manager at the Lietzke, Ln branch has single handedly lost my business after 18 years. I will be finding new bank today. On Tuesday I went in to the Reno Nevada branch location and paid $9000 cash towards my business loan. Today is Friday and the loan payment has still not been posted.

After speaking to the only helpful person that I have dealt with through this process (Jennifer... here in Sacramento) I found out that when they made this payment they posted it incorrectly. I spoke to Dave on Wednesday to find out why my payment had not been posted to my account and he basically brushed me off telling me it would take several days and that was about it. Our phone conversation was 48 seconds long.

Now today; 3 days later it's still not posted. when I've been trying to receive help regarding this issue he boldface blatantly lied to the Sacramento location. He told her that on Wednesday he told me he was looking into the payment and why it had not been posted but that is a flat lie. He brushed me off and told me that it would take several days to post and that's it. He talked to me rudely and condescendingly as well as lied about what he said to me. And my payment is still not posted and they're saying it could take another 48 hours to post. Considering it is Friday 48 hours really means for more business days. This is ridiculous and they have lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

On September, 18 2018 I had my truck repo. I immediately thought it was stolen for the reason that I had made a payment on that previously Monday. Never did I imagine my truck being repo so I went to the police and they search it. To my surprise it was at the repo yard. So when the finance company finally open I called and ask why was the reason my truck got repo and they said because they’ve been trying to call to schedule a payment and since they don’t get a hold on no one they automatically thought I was trying to avoid not paying the bill. The same lady that help me out don’t took it upon herself to noifty on Monday when I made the payment that my truck was already on the system for repo.

Tuesday when I called it was the same lady. She gave me attitude. I know I wasn’t the one they gave the loan to. It was my dad but I was the one paying for the truck. I’m not gonna lie. I was behind a month and a half but from what I know they can’t repossess your vehicle unless you are three to four months behind. To make matters worst she tells my dad to not let me make any future payments because I’m not in the loan but we did send a paper where my dad sign it saying he was giving me authority to make future payments so don’t know if they lost the paper. But this lady was the worst of the worst you would imagine. I they want is their money but her telling my dad don’t let me make any payments smh unbelievable. Anyways her name is Reyna. I’m pretty sure I’m not the first that has encountered problems with this lady.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

In January of 2018, I got a car loan for $38,500. In July of 2018, the car loan was paid off, and I accidentally made an overpayment of $320. When I realize that I made the overpayment, I called and they said that they would send me a check in five business days. It has been 33 days and I still have not received a check. When I called to ask about the status of the check, they told me that I needed to prove that they were overpaid. I have spoke with several people at the customer service department and nobody seems to know where the money was put, but they said it could take up to several months to get my money back.

Upon paying off my vehicle, I asked for a lean release or proof that the loan was paid off. I was told they would send me a lean release in the mail. It has been over a month and I still do not have any kind of proof that my loan is paid off. When I called and talk to you alone supervisor, through the customer service number, I told her that in my state we need to provide the county clerk with a lien release. She told me that was not her problem and hung up on me. I have called several times, and each person I talk to, says something different. As of right now, the bank has $320 that does not belong to them, and I have no idea how to get it back, and I have no proof that the car is paid off. Do not do business with this bank. You’ll regret it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Oh goodness. Don’t EVER fall on hard or rough times with these people. If you’re 50.00 short on your auto loan, they’ll be sure to call you 50 times daily to remind you just how broke you are! And when we went in to open a saving account the branch manager failed to tell us of the account that was only $25.00 to open. He only mentioned the highest ones because my mother is an elderly woman and I guess he didn’t think I had the slightest clue. Also when they ask me to verify with written consent so they can contact me on my mother's loan, which I have yet to give them, they CONTINUE to call me! But when I call (because I’m not on the loan documents) all of a sudden they can’t discuss it with me. Also when you do call their collections dept. they’re very rude. But we reap what we sow. Lesson learned #138.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

WORST BANK EVER. I only had account for 2 months but had nothing but problems and finally got a letter from them opting to close my account. I opened my account and received my DMV registration. I used bill pay to pay it. I thought that because DMV is one of the largest "companies" in the US it would be in the 21 Century and my payment would electronically be paid. I received my registration and tags in the mail and thought all was well until I came home on a Fri about 2.5 weeks later and got a notice from the bank that a check I had written for $384 had bounced and was charged $35. I immediately called and explained that I had just opened an account and that at my previous bank when I made a bill pay the bank deducted payment at that time so I had a "living" balance so to speak. The rep was good and said he understood and we made a transfer of funds so that they would be there if the DMV tried again and he removed all fees.

Next day I got another snail mail and it said that they had tried to run the check through again, did not go through and charged me ANOTHER $35! (Never did they call or email me). Then the rep said that the DMV could try to cash it up to 4 x and that I should be sure and call the DMV on Monday and make sure that their bank tried to send the $ through again. Although she said they weren't supposed to she made an exception and after 40 minutes was able to remove the second $35 fee.

On Monday I called the DMV and that is where the nightmare started. I called and waited 1 hr. finally got someone who said I needed to call a different number. I called that number, waited another hr, and was disconnected. I called back and got a message that there would be a 72 minute delay. It also said if I wrote a bad check there would be a $30 fee and also a 65% fee of the original amount ($230) unless I could get the bank to say that it was their fault.

I decided to go to the main bank in Stockton and wanted to talk to the supervisor... But she was not in. I instead got the assistant manager. I explained the situation and asked if she could write a letter explaining the misunderstanding. She said she could not do it unless she got prior authorization from someone higher. I waited there for about 45 minutes and in the meantime kept trying to reach out to the DMV. Finally about the time the assistant manager came up with a letter DMV said just to go to the DMV and ask to the manager and take the cash to pay.

At that point I went to the teller and withdrew $384 as instructed by the DMV person on the phone. But something else had occurred in the meantime. On that Saturday I misplaced my debit card. I spoke to someone in customer service and asked what was the last place I used the card and also if he could just place a HOLD on my account so I could check and see if I could find it. Within 45 minutes I called back to notify them I had found it and asked to have the hold removed. She said she would.

On that Monday when removing the $384 to pay the DMV at the teller the teller said that there was a hold on my account. I explained that was not right. That I had put one on Sat but removed same. She said she would take care of it. MORE NIGHTMARE. Bank of the West actually CLOSED MY DEBIT CARD. So I could not withdraw money from the ATM or use my card. I did not find that out until later that week when I was HUMILIATED at Starbucks when I went to pay for a $5 purchase and my card was declined. I called and found out that the person had not put a HOLD on it but closed it without my authorization. I called and the bank said that a new card would take 7-10 business days. So now I could not get money out of my account as it was the weekend and had no access to my $ until Monday.

I talked to a manager at the corporate level and of course, I was upset, who wouldn't be...but he started stating that I was being abusive...which I was amazed at. They did not want to accept any responsibility for their person not doing their job right but wanted to turn the table on me and accuse me of being abusive... because I said that they should let the guy know how much he screwed up my life!!! I also at some point talked to another manager who said that he could not do anything but that I should talk to the retention center. I called the corporate office and asked to talk to the retention area...and the operator said, "What's retention?" She wanted me to give her the definition of retention. Finally she told me there was no retention center and then I called my local bank and asked for the district manager.

In the meantime I received a letter from BOTW stating that they were opting to close my account by Aug 17... another great inconvenience although I was going to close it anyway. And finally today about a week later I got that call after closing one account and removing most of my money from the other from the district manager... a day late and a dollar short? She was aware of my emails and problems but it took her that long to respond. She could have salvaged this account if she had called earlier. None of this would have occurred... And btw when you call for customer service for online banking you have extremely long waits. So I am in the midst of going elsewhere... and happy to say my nightmare with this bank will end. I will be surprised to see if they actually post this. Let's see if they can accept criticism.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I paid off my car loan on July 3rd 2018 at the Chatsworth branch in Calif. 2 weeks later I am told it never happened. They have no record of my payment, yet my check was cashed at my bank. I have made Several calls to the bank in Chatsworth and their headquarters in Nebraska. After last calls they said they are researching the problem. It has been over 3 weeks and the problems has not been resolved. To me this feels like a very shady practice. I would never use this bank again!!!

Original review: July 14, 2018

This has been a horrible bank for us. When my dad died they "accidentally" froze all the accounts associated with him so mom had no money for at least a week. We checked with them after dad's death to take care of trust and make, almost 6 months ago, but now they refuse to DEPOSIT checks made out to the trust because they are to mom AND dad. The other bank where we are moving her accounts deposit checks fine that are made out to both of them even with an AND.

Absolutely ridiculous. Causing much frustration and pain for mom.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I went in to close a savings account because I was not using it and because I had another savings account in another bank with better interest rates (that's not saying much). A week later I went to my online banking and my active checking account was missing and only the savings account which I had closed was there with a zero balance. I called the branch on Martin Luther King Blvd., and they said that in order to have my checking account online I had to fill out some paperwork.

My checking account had been online before I closed the savings account. I have no idea why they would just delete my checking account from online banking except for their massive incompetence. Over the past several years this bank has been slow to get accounts online, and has made errors causing me huge inconveniences. As a senior, I do not want to call the bank or have to go down to the bank every time there is an issue. That's why banks have online banking, so that they can make their contact with consumers as minimal as possible.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I banked there for 28 years with no apparent problem except they failed to notify me. I qualified for free checking which they continued to collect fees for after I turned 55. Recently I had a family tragedy when both my younger brothers died traumatic deaths in a short period of time. I was devastated and faced with a horrible task to reconcile two estates.

A Bank of the West branch manager in Los Altos, CA decided she needed to give me a lecture about dealing with emotional losses shortly after one brother hung himself and the second brother was diagnosed with an always lethal aggressive brain cancer. I asked her to just attend to the banking task I was there for and leave the lecture alone. Shortly after that this branch manager cancelled my bank accounts therefore heaping a large and onerous additional pile of stress and work on me. This person is clearly a sick individual who has severe psych. problems. The B of the W. management was every bit has flaky and mean spirited as the sick branch manager.

Original review: June 24, 2018

We wish we had never allowed anything to be financed through Bank of the West. Can't get anyone until you hold for 20 min. Then they have to put in work orders for anything you need that takes several days to a week! They get attitude when you let them know your needs. They are not about serving their customers with quality.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I re-financed my motor home & ended up w/ BOTW. Long story short, they have absolute idiots as CSRs, not to mention rude. Since the inception of my loan with BOTW, I have been making additional payments each month & each payment has been clearly marked as PRINCIPAL ONLY PAYMENT. With each check that I mailed to them, this was also noted in my cover letter in bold lettering, all CAPS & underlined.

What the morons at BOTW simply do not accomplish is reading the instructions in my letters or the memo on the check that clearly reads PRINCIPAL PAYMENT ONLY. So over the course of this loan, the idiots at BOTW charged me interest on four different principal only payments. This of course caused me to have to call these morons to have it fixed, as well has having to get supervisors on the phone because their CSRs either do not speak English worth a crap, they do not listen to what I'm telling them, or they rudely (& continually) interrupt me as I'm speaking. One CSR even had the gall to tell me that I was wrong & that the charged interest was correct on a principal only payment.

I was lucky enough to be able to pay off this loan & no longer have to deal with the clowns at BOTW. What they lost in potential interest by my closing out this loan may or may not amount too much. But they can blame their loss on their slipshod business & customer practices. Do not do business with these iggits. They don't deserve it.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We searched and found a great rate for an RV Loan at BOTW (Bloomington) where we live in MN. Logan and Jarod were outstanding in handling our business - professional, personable, and found the answers we needed to move ahead with our business; we are nothing but highly satisfied with this branch.

Original review: June 5, 2018

** at Bank of the West at 505 Montgomery St in San Francisco was very rude and asked inappropriate personal questions. He also demanded that I tell him names of previous banks where I banked in the past and where I currently bank. When I refused to answer, stating that this information has nothing to do with my banking at Bank of The West, he said he will close my account and hung up.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They keep changing the website and confusing customers. The HELOC loan statements do not show balance forward after each transaction, just the starting and ending balance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Bank of the West is the worst bank I have ever had, they charge fees for everything and steal money from you, I added all deposits for the yr and everything that has ever been deducted and I have over $400 missing money unaccounted for. I checked this because my account was always being charged NSF fees when I had enough money to cover costs. They are far worse than Wells Fargo; I have stopped my direct deposits and closing out my account! Their customer service is horrible, they don't care about their members, nor care to investigate any issues you are having. Do not sign up with Bank of the West!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I opened a new account a couple of weeks ago and I had filled out my direct deposit with my employer but it did not process this payday which was the 4th of May. They sent me a live check and I used the mobile app to deposit. I was lead to believe when I had asked an agent that it would not be a problem and it would be available in 2 to 3 business days. Well then I was told that it was now going to be available on May 17th. I got paid on the 4th. I have 4th stage metastatic melanoma, which is spreading rapidly. I have a new medication that is waiting to be picked up and that is very expensive called **. I have no money to be able to get it and I need to buy groceries, pay bills, give kids school lunch money... etc. The teller at the branch was nice and tried to help but no luck.

I have got to have this money. I live paycheck to paycheck and by the time I get this available, it will be my next paycheck. I have no way to provide to my family but by this paycheck. I know there is someone that can release this but they refuse. I am a hardworking mother and grandmother and I have been told 3 different stories. I was told it would be available in 2 to 3 business days to you will have 200 available on Saturday to now it is May 17th before you can get any of your money you work so hard for. I have bills that have to be paid. I am just so upset that I would be treated this way and be given so many different answers. I will go to Facebook, Twitter, and every social media site I can. How sad this is!!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

Called Bank of the West customer service to cancel this monthly fee, they refuse to do it. They say go online and do it yourself. Bad customer service, bad attitude, just another way for rip off banks to take your money.

Bank of the West Company Information