Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Bank of the West Reviews

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Bank of the West is a trusted institution with great CD rates over the years. I have two checking accounts with Gold Lines of credit. I love that I can write a check, for an amount over what I actually have in my account and instead of it bouncing Bank of the West covers the checchi (purchase) and it's not considered overdrawn; it's automatically drawn out of the Guild Line. It used to be $2 transaction fee but I think now it's $6, last time I checked. Then I pay interest on the amount. It has been a LIFE SAVER for me. Thank you Bank of the West. Another perk, is that they have several drive through branches SJ Ca. They've been closing the drive-throughs which is difficult when you're disabled. Please don't close them!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Bank of the West is a phenomenal banking institution. It not communicated relative to customer service. They literally practices it each and every day involving all customers. Representatives are more than knowledgeable, welcoming, and willing to provide valuable assistance.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My father had 7 different accounts at this bank. After they helped sort through those and close them out I was so impressed with them that when I moved and learned my current bank didn't have branches here I opened my own account with them 7 years ago. They've been great for me.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Service online was excellent. Updates were readily available and what few times I needed customer they were knowledgeable and friendly. Also, interest rate was competitive and coupon book was accurate.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I have been a loyal customer of Bank Of The West for over 30 years. I was told to stay away from the large banks because they are predatory and will use bait and switch tactics on you. Bank of The West was just right, not too small, not to large. Transactions have always been easy, and customer service had always been top-notch. Bank Of The West, has a credit line that you pay $25 dollars for to use as a overdraft account if needed. This is called a "Gold Line" account. This was great since I work for the State of California, I only get paid once a month, and I don't need to move money over from my savings account every day for purchases while using my debit card.

Apparently, corporate managers wanted to make more money, and started to charge a "fee" for each time the "Gold line" is activated. So in 5 days, you can use your ATM for lattes, gas, kids diapers, and it will transfer money from your credit line, triggering a $12 fee each time. So for 4 purchases, you may be charged $48, for the privilege of having a account. What was the $25 yearly fee for? Who knows. I have a 840 credit score with several credit cards that I do not use because i used my debit card for everyday purchases. I understand there were lawsuits for this shady practice, but the branch manager has not return my phone calls to ask for a reversal of these fees that amount to $444 for 12 months. I belong to 2 credit unions, so this is most likely my last bank I will use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I’ve been with Bank of the West since my high school days. I’m mad that it took me this long to realize what a crap bank this is! I’ve been calling mobile banking for an entire month regarding a Zelle payment that was deposited into my bank account and then wiped out as if I never received it, although it was still in my zelle past transactions as if I had still had it. Every time I called mobile banking they told me that they’ve never seen anything like it and that they were opening a ticket with zelle and “investigating” the transaction. Most of the mobile banking representatives I spoke to were nice but they never had an answer as to what happened to my money. Finally the last guy I spoke to was by far the worst. He made me feel like a liar and like I was the one who had to figure out what happened to my money. He spoke over me like a child and didn’t let me get a word in until I finally just had enough and hung up.

The only reason I started to use zelle was because it was a service provided by BANK OF THE WEST through mobile banking, so I was certain any transactions I did through them were safe, however I was wrong. With that being said, my bad review is based on them not protecting my money and then not doing ANYTHING about it to help me recover the issue. I even visited one of the branches near my house to try to file a claim and they told me I couldn’t file a claim on a zelle charge but the lady was quite certain my money was just sitting somewhere being “investigated.”

On top of that they always took forever to process what was suppose to be instant transactions. Most of my instant transactions were suppose to be in my bank account within minutes but instead took 2-3 BUSINESS days. They don’t let you transfer any funds past 7 and they overdraft you for any little thing. Save yourself the trouble and find another bank to bank with. Your money isn’t safe with this bank.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I purchased a trailer from La Mesa RV, Sanford, Fl and they financed it thru Bank of The West. Calling this bank to get a payoff is the worst experience I have "ever" had in trying to get someone online, you have to go thru an enormous number of "click this if you want this" and if you are lucky enough to get someone they are rude, none caring, abusive to a fault and apt to hang up on you with no concern of helping. I have never dealt with any lending institution that has a "I don't care attitude." Worst bank and La Mesa of Sanford should be ashamed for using such a bank but no doubt they get a kickback so probably don't care.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I’m not sure what it is with Bank of The West but this by far is the worst banking experience I’ve had. For some reason they are constantly letting charges go through 2, 3 or even 4 times for things I’ve never had issues with before I switched to these guys. They also flag random purchases so my card gets denied and I look like a dummy at the store. The only answer they ever give is “it’s a hold from the vendor”. That’s crap considering it never happened with my last bank. I also don’t buy it because it’s always a difference of 1 cent. It will literally be 10.50, 10.51, 10.52 etc. Last month got charged twice for my TV and internet bill and 4 times for a Footlocker purchase, this weekend got charged 5 times for a purchase at Kohl’s.

A couple of months ago they flagged a gas purchase at Shell so my card kept getting declined. Customer Service said “you never get gas here so it got flagged.”... I literally live across the street from Shell, so I don’t understand that logic. They tried to tell me they would allow that purchase only but I need a refund card. But why would I need a new card when it wasn’t fraud? I literally stop at that place 2-3x a week.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Customer service rep told me to put cash in an envelope, leave in the bank drop box. Just put my ATM card number on the envelope. I was attempting to make a deposit. The ATM machine was broken so I call to report it. She was so stupid. Very rude. Kept telling me to just put money in drop box. I was like "Are you crazy?" No way I am going to put $2000 cash in drop box so they can come back, say they never got it the way BOTW handle things. She said, "Well what you want me to do?" I was like really? How rude. I told her, "Is there any way someone can look into it? See why the ATM machine at the branch was not working?" I told her both are not working. She said oh well. After that I just hung up. Like talking to a wall.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I have been accounts holder of BOW for many many years and I ordered a checkbook as I used to do. But after 3 weeks, I still had not received the book yet and called. The representative told me that they sent to the checkbook to a wrong address and not worry they would stop the use of the checkbook. I was shocked they took this lightly and I asked if they are sure my account is safe because my route number and account number can be in a wrong person and jeopardized my account.

Then she said I need to go to the branch office, close the account and open an new account. My god, why I had to spend my time and little bit of money (send the application to Edison, gas, water, homeowner's association,,, etc) to cover the Bank of the West incompetent employee who sent the checkbook to the wrong address. No sincerity or professionalism within this bank any longer which were proved by so many previous reviews before me. Yes. I will close the account and change the bank other than BOW degraded bank service.

Not sure about Bank of the West?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Bank of the West Company Information