2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (234 ratings)

About Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of the West?

Original review: April 19, 2021

Our car loan was paid off 2 weeks ago. Our buyer is still waiting on car title. Repeated phone calls several days over an hour each... Today one hour 53 minutes so far!! Cannot speak to anyone at this joke. Impossible to reach even online. Will NEVER, EVER do business with this company again. Eventually, they hang up on you. Does not say anything good about their company, their high interest rates, or California in general.

Original review: April 12, 2021

BANK OF THE WEST CHARGES YOU .50 JUST TO CHECK YOUR BALANCE AT ANY OTHER ATM yet, theirs are down. I closed my Savings account, because they were charging me TO HAVE IT! I withdrew all of my Savings and switched to Veridian because they actually PAY ME to use my money. Stay away from Bank Of The West, they are getting as bad as Bank Of America. I have been with BOW for over 20 years.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I have been trying to get a loan through Essex and it is like I am bothering them to do business. That's if you're able to even get someone to answer or respond to emails. I am currently on hold now for 58min waiting to cancel the approved loan. Jim ** was my agent and he has no desire to help his customers. He is in the wrong business. I asked customer service if I could swap agents and they wouldn't allow it... I have swapped over to New Coast Financial Services and what a breath of fresh air. Samantha is taking care of everything! Please don't waste your time with Essex or Bank of the West.

Original review: March 1, 2021

The Bank of the West has not completed DMV paperwork and I have not been able to use my trailer I bought for 8 months. I have called the bank over 35 times and on hold for over 40 hours and hung up on over 11 times. The DMV paperwork is still not completed.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Bank of the West charged me a $35 overdraft fee caused by their system error. When I contacted them, Bank of the West tried to cover up their mistake by claiming the $35 fee is a service cancellation fee caused by my operation to cancel a transaction. They insisted that I clicked the "cancel payment" button in my account so I should be responsible for that charge. But I never clicked that button, and my online banking message clearly states that the $35 is an overdraft fee, not a cancellation fee. Then Bank of the West threatened to close my online banking account for security reasons because "if I did not click the stop payment button, some hacker did." In short, the Bank of the West lied, insulted, and threatened a customer for a $35 fee caused by the bank's mistake.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Do not consider for one fraction of a second conducting business with this so called bank. This "Bank" is a joke. Sadly the joke is on you, the customer. You'll have endless issues with these incompetent, careless and reckless people. They NEVER answer calls or return email correspondence, hold time in excess of 1.5 hours is the norm with this joke of a bank.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Playing games such as website difficulties, website down, so that you can't pay your bills then it goes to the weekend. So then you have to call on Monday to pay the bill and they charge you interest for their scam on those down days. This happens repeatedly and this is just one way they take your monies. In the five years I have been with them the interest on the loan has not changed and when repeatedly asking them for a amortization schedule they continue to deny me one. I am paid up seven years ahead of time on a 15 yr note. Need to find others and put in a Class Action Lawsuit against them and sue them! Few other issues as well placed using the Better Business Bureau and have shown the BBB their caught red handed lying. I'm sure others have faced others scams from them as well!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I've been a client for far too long due to laziness. This bank has so many fees. It's ridiculous. They make account changes and then you receive a letter 5 or more days after. I don't know why anyone would bank here. I'll be finding a new online bank that takes care of business properly.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I called Bank of the West to inquire on how to close out an account. I was on hold for 51 minutes, then the phone system disconnected me! Prior to doing so, a recorded message came on that said "We are experiencing difficulties, goodbye." I have screenshot of recorded call from my Ooma dashboard, if this will let me post a picture.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

DO NOT GET THEIR CREDIT CARDS. 15 days to post payments, 3 days to post charges, $500 credit limit, and they expect you to spend $1500 in 90 days to get intro bonus. My credit score is 800 and they only give me $500 credit limit. Do the math, not worth it. Please do not expand their customer base.

Bank of the West Company Information