Find an Online Brokers partner

2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

3.8/5 (437 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investment trading. It supports a variety of investment products, including stocks, ETFs, options, mutual funds, annuities and cryptocurrency trading. It provides free educational materials, proprietary tools and software, portfolio management and customer service to support investors. Some trades require no commission, and the company is transparent about other fees.

Top TD Ameritrade Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smoothly... When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support...

Verified

For online trading accounts TD Ameritrade surpasses Robin Hood and Wee bull in spades. It is the only brokerage account that you can actually speak to somebody in person right awa...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is TD Ameritrade?

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investing and trading services. It offers online tools and web and mobile platforms for users to trade easily, test investment strategies and perform analyses. Its investment products include:

• Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency trading
  • Bonds
  • Annuities
  • IPOs

The company also provides cash solutions and managed portfolios. Its online stock, ETF and options trades result in $0 commissions. Trades of other investment products and all broker-assisted trades require fees, however.

In addition to trading, TD Ameritrade also provides educational materials and guidance on its website to help you get your investments in order and reach your goals.

How does TD Ameritrade work?

With TD Ameritrade, users must open up an account before buying and trading. The company’s account options include:

• Standard Accounts for most individual and joint accounts
  • Retirement Accounts including Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Rollover IRAs
  • Education Accounts for education costs
  • Specialty Accounts including trusts, pension plans and others
  • Managed Portfolios in which a TD Ameritrade professional manages your portfolio for you
  • Margin Trading for investment borrowing

After opening your account, manage it with TD Ameritrade’s platforms and apps, including:

• Web platforms: These have all the tools to research, plan and stay up to date on market trends.
  • thinkorswim Desktop software: Offers high-powered tools that enable analysis, strategy testing and risk/reward monitoring.
  • thinkorswim Web app: Offers the same options as the desktop software but designed for the internet.
  • Mobile trading: Lets you manage your trading from multiple devices. This platform even has an option for staying on top of your trades via an Apple Watch.

Through these platforms, you can research stocks, place trades and manage your portfolio.

TD Ameritrade fees

TD Ameritrade’s fees depend on the investment product and the level of service you require, but all online trades of U.S. exchange-listed stocks, ETFs and mutual funds require $0 commission. Fees for other investment products and services range from $0 to $49.99.

Before buying and trading with TD Ameritrade, review all commissions, brokerage fees and margin and interest rates. The company has transparent and up-to-date fees on its website.

TD Ameritrade FAQ

Is TD Ameritrade good for beginning investors?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has resources for beginning investors and platforms that guide you through the trading process.
Can you use TD Ameritrade for mobile trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has a platform that is specifically for mobile trading.
Does TD Ameritrade have an app?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has an app that allows you to manage your accounts on the go.
Does TD Ameritrade offer mock trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade offers a virtual stock market simulator called paperMoney.

Is TD Ameritrade safe?

Yes. TD Ameritrade is a trusted company with a long-standing name in investment buying and trading, and it’s stayed up to date with its technology and online resources. It offers a diverse array of investment products, account types and trading tools. Plus, TD Ameritrade offers some trading with $0 commission and is transparent about all other fees.

TD Ameritrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I am new to trading and moved over from just saving in Acorns and a savings account to investing in safer stocks in the Dow Jones. I am taking a class about covered calls and volatility trading but am super new to the whole idea. I love that I can get on the phone and chat through any question big or small and the TD team will always spend time explaining things and even make suggestions and teach me new methods of trading.

I’ve never had a customer service experience quite like this, where I genuinely feel like the person on the end is there to not just problem solve with me, but go above and beyond and just chat. It feels like real support. Instead of answering my question and saying “is there anything else I can help you with” they answer and then having heard what I said make really smart follow up recommendations for things I can learn on the TD education videos, or literally to talk me through how I could optimize my trade next time with actual examples in my portfolio.

Best experience I’ve ever had with any company. I still don’t really understand how they can do this in a day and age where companies seem like they’re trying to enhance speed and reduce call times. It’s like I have a whole squad of people there to help me and I never wait on hold for longer than 2 minutes. Literally incredible. My husband switched from Robinhood because they really offer no help or support and recently with GameStop showed us that they don’t really care about their customers. TD Ameritrade for the win!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smooth and very easy to understand. When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support I actually feel like a pro and I have seen my investments go up 100% thanks to counseling and advice on which ones I should make at the right times!! 100 stars if I could.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

TD Ameritrade is the second app I tried for investing. The first one arbitrarily deducted money from my account. But with TD Ameritrade, things are easy to use, no hidden fees, it feels sophisticated and I don't feel taken advantage of. I went with TD Ameritrade because I have a TD bank account which made me trust the app even more.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I had investments being held in many different financial firms which was very difficult to manage. TD Ameritrade helped me receive a tremendous amount of assistance in gathering all the various investments. This was not an easy task as each brokerage had so many different requirements. It took almost a year to gather them all to consolidate.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Picking an online broker all depends on your focus, investing or trading, as well as access to technical indicators and 'probability' numbers. For options as well as stocks, Thinkorswim, part of TD Ameritrade, has by far the best platform. They also provide written confirmations and live people to talk to, something other firms exclude. However, if you have a 'portfolio margin account', this firm will treat you very badly, as they will indiscriminately liquidate positions without your knowledge or approval, prior to realizing they were wrong.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I had a decent experience using TD after switching from Vanguard for a couple months. It had the majority of the features I was looking for except for a graph to track gain over time (Which seems like a pretty primitive and obvious feature to have on any given brokerage.) I wasn't too keen on the occasional $1-$4 fees I was being charged for foreign dividends, but then they hit my account with a $38 fee... FOR A REVERSE SPLIT? To be fair, this is not a ridiculous amount to be charged but I have never experienced such a steep fee (to be honest, I had never received a fee for a reverse split in the YEARS I have been using Vanguard), but it was on a position I only had $800 in. A 5% fee for a reverse split... Really?!?

Honestly, I would have stuck with Vanguard if I knew they rob clients like this despite the lack of utility Vanguard has for shorter-term trades. I immediately took the $100 fee and transferred my account to Fidelity, so hopefully the waters are greener here. As an experienced investor, I would not recommend setting up a brokerage with these thieves! They will slowly drain your account with random fees that I have never encountered on any of the other 3 brokerages I have used in the past and currently. If you use their service, better pray that no splits/reverse splits happen within your positions, or they're gonna slam you. In summary, regarding my short-lived TD Ameritrade experience (keep in mind I have only been with them a handful of months), I would describe my experience as being... disappointing.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My experience with TD has been pretty awful over the last couple years. I'm writing today because for the 3rd time in the last 5 trading days I've had chart issues. I have "re-set" the charts to default 2x and still experience the same issues. Again today, I have the same issue. Seems "No one else is having these issues" is a constant refrain from "technical" support and their best---or easiest for them---solution is RESET TO DEFAULT. I say Re-Set your account elsewhere!

Original review: June 27, 2021

I opened an account with TD Ameritrade to test out their stock exchange. I deposited funds so I could see how entering orders and such worked. I decided I didn't like the way they had things setup so I did what was necessary to withdraw my funds, but TD Ameritrade immediately canceled my withdraw and closed my account. I was never notified about any actions or reasons why, matter of fact I never heard from them at all and it's been many months now. I tried to log in to my account one day and it was telling me my account didn't exist. I tried calling customer service many times, but every time there was at least a 2 hour waiting time and I don't have that kind of time to wait. I tried to email their customer service, but they refused to help through email or call me back (as requested).

I finally reported them to the SEC and they got a response back from someone, along with a phone number, but when I tried to call the person who responded they will not answer the phone. I even tried to get my bank to reverse the withdraw, but they refused (Wells Fargo); so I am in the process of closing all my Wells Fargo accounts because of this too, because I don't trust them anymore. Overall, I would caution everyone. If you have the same experience I have had, your funds will be trapped and no one will help you retrieve them. Read reviews and please consider another exchange.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I signed up for TD Ameritrade and quickly felt the platform was not easy to navigate perform actions quickly. When I wanted to perform quick trades, I would lose out because of the way they design their platform. I have other brokers whose websites and apps make trading action very smooth and quick, but I don’t find this is the case with TD Ameritrade. Therefore I used my account for few small trades, not much volume on my part, but always in an active trade. Then one day, I went in to see my P/L and couldn’t get into my account. After struggling with the login resets I finally called them. One thing I can say is they do have customer service, unlike some other brokers.

The representative said they closed my account due to fraud and asked how I wanted my trade closed and my funds dispersed. I was in shock! I never use my account except on my personal phone. She refused to give me any further details. At the time I was trading AMC during the “pending squeeze”. I thought “how convenient that they closed me out of their service during this time??”. Either way, I was in disbelief and simply went on my way. I will never use their services again. Their actions were unwarranted and very suspicious. I am a professional engineer and take trading seriously. I would advise anyone against using TD Ameritrade and seek better alternatives. Anytime I share brokers with newbies, I never recommend TD Ameritrade.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I have been with this company for many years, and never had a problem. Now all of a sudden they closed my account - just closed it - without rhyme or reason. There was no notice! I called to find out and the person could only say it was for business reasons. Would you trust your money to a company that treated you this way?

TD Ameritrade Company Information