3.42/5

236 TD Ameritrade Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

July 29, 2019 they wouldn't allow me online access to my account. I called and the agent and manager were horrid. I told them I have a brain injury, not only did they make it more harrowing, TD closed my account without informing me for days. They placed a "restricted" my account, which was extremely well funded, without warning or Informing me and most importantly without reason. They caused my rent payment to not go through but never told me what was going on so I could transfer my money to someplace reputable. They sent a letter out on the 31st which I didn’t get for days all the while keeping me from accessing my money. I had not invested any of it but left it all in cash since my inheritance deposit in December 2018. They email for any account transactions but blindsided me about the account closure.

They in essence froze my assets, which I use to pay everything. Many obnoxious managers and employees and still no resolution. Answers ranged from, "You must not be signing in correctly" to the "Sorry for the inconvenience." I offered to have my cash transferred to my sons account to gain access. His account showed a strange charge for $.04 that appeared and disappeared In 2 days. They informed me that account was just closed last night. I am concerned something larger is wrong with TD Ameritrade. I understand that if I ask for an explanation, in writing, legally they must tell me. I have written repeatedly, no explanation.

I transferred the account money out, to a bank, and now I received a margin call warning my account is overdrawn for the amount of the cash money transferred.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have this account because Scottrade buyout. They matched commission structure of Scottrade (been there for over 10 years no problem). Now they start charging me exchange fee because my commission too LOW. Stole thousands from account. When I push they adjusted my commission from $.25 per option to $.65 to avoid exchange fee. Please be careful. You dealing with THIEVES!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Love TD Ameritrade, no fees ever. Traveling all over the world and I never had a problem. I can use any ATM in the America and the World and no fee. Free checks, can call all hours of day and night and there is a live person to take my call.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I was a Scottrade customer. When they bought them and transferred my two accts, they neglected to put the payable upon death designation on one of my accts. I just happened to come across the error, thank goodness. If I had passed away, my beneficiary would have been liable to probate costs instead of just assuming the account with no tax liability.

Original review: July 25, 2019

First off, the brokerage fees are extremely high. Second, everything you think would be a simple process is a huge hassle. Their online brokerage layout is atrocious. I attempted to deposit the remaining funds from my brokerage into my bank account and it took money from my bank account and put it into my brokerage. This resulted in an overdraft from my bank account. Now I have to sort this entire thing out with the bank. Furthermore, every time I attempt to deposit the money back into the bank account it gives me an error and won't let me. It seems every time you want to accomplish a simple task, you have to call their customer service department. Huge waste of time and money, would not recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: July 24, 2019

Took all my stock and cost me 800% profit I made. Just discovered they cleaned out my 10,000 shares and left me with 500 shares. What a bunch of crooks. It was worth over $800 now, I paid $100 and they took 9,500 of my 10,000 shares in a few months. These people are not honest. No notice to me they were doing whatever they did. Very upsetting. Will never deal with them again, ever!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I deposited some small amount of money a week ago, part of the money I invested in a single stock, I sold it the day after, at a loss, I deposited another amount and then, the nightmare started. I went the website and it said the money was clear and available to withdraw, which I did ask. The day after, I had a message that I could not take the money out because it needed three days to clear (in the meantime my bank told me that they had cashed the money) so they told me over the phone to wait until Monday. Monday I log in and the money was available for withdrawing, again, I did it and just to make sure, I went to the live chat and asked the clerk to make sure I could take the money out. Oh surprise, by the time I went back to the total, it was a deduction W-9 due to whatever so the full amount wasn't available.

I went to the live chat again, and believe me or not, they told me I could take the money out, of course, minus the W-9 **, I did it again, and I just walk home, checked their website, and the money was back into the account! Well, at this point, I might need a lawyer to get the fricking money out, or either they are not trained right or they just playing and taking as much as they can of your money.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I used Future Advisor as an IRA vehicle to try to avoid high fees for the funds I invested in. However, they forced you to hold the investments in TD-bad idea. The TD interactive GUI is pretty bad and far from intuitive-particularly if you are not using it to trade on a regular basis. Further, their process for cashing out funds in an IRA and converting them to cash is onerous and slow.

Additionally, their messaging system is terrible-it is slow and then you can’t get a decent response to what you are trying to accomplish-it is a huge time waster. And to top it off when I was rolling over my IRAs out of Future Advisor, I got notification that my funds had been converted to cash and then a couple of days later they were converted back to funds and Future Advisor said the error was on TD Ameritrade’s end. And finally, they don’t have a chat option at all like most financial companies. TD is huge. It is hard to believe they can’t invest in this type of positive, instantaneous vehicle for customer feedback and satisfaction.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I've had an Ameritrade account for a dozen years. Last week I placed an order for 10,000 share of EYCCF and it showed up on my screen as "filled for .0704/share. Today it closed at .088/share. But with sleight-of-hand, suddenly my screen showed that I only have 150 shares! That would mean I was so incredibly stupid as to open a position for $7.00 and pay $6.95 to do it! In a dozen years, my trades have been for between a very low of $500.00 to a high of $5,000.00.

I explained this to Ameritrade and they had the temerity to claim that "before closing it seemed I had purchased 10k shares BUT since it was an OTC trade, it takes time to show the ACTUAL trade and, after closing, the trade was filled as a PARTIAL for only 150 shares." How would you feel if your brokerage essentially cheated you out of hundreds of dollars and then refused to own their mistake? The only way I could prove my point is if I printed out what appeared on my computer screen every other minute and Ameritrade knows no-one would or could do that. So, unless you want to get cheated out of your money, without recourse, DO NOT USE AMERITRADE AS YOUR BROKERAGE!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had an account with Scottrade, everything was good then after the merge my account moved to Ameritrade and that was a disaster, terrible customer service, they had all my account messed up with fees and taxes, sent money from my account to IRS for taxes has been already paid, really disappointed, They do not care about their customers, I can not believe they are still in business, that is not the way you should be running a business, I gave them one star. I wish there is something worse, even one star it is too much for them.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth expert review by Clark Kendall

TD Ameritrade, founded in 1975 as First Securities Omaha, is a full-service brokerage firm. It is still headquartered in Omaha, Neb. and now holds $774 billion in investor assets. It offers many types of investment and financial products for all levels of investors. Clients can work with agents in local branches or only trade stocks online.

• Platform: TD Ameritrade offers multiple platforms, one that is more basic and another that includes more advanced tools for experienced traders. Those interested in trade speed or best-execution rates can find the site’s statistics online.

• Tools and calculators: Visitors to the TD Ameritrade website can use several tools and calculators to help them figure out how much to save and the best investing methods for their financial situation. Some of these tools are free for all consumers, not only TD Ameritrade customers.

• Education: TD Ameritrade customers have access to educational materials to improve their stock market knowledge. The company has a daily and a quarterly publication that includes news stories, investor insights and research.

• Research resources: The TD Ameritrade site has resources for traders to use for researching investments. In addition to historical stock profiles, clients can access technical analysis reports and use Social Signals, which pulls data from Twitter to help investors spot trends.

• Asset Protection: TD Ameritrade provides clients with Asset Protection. The company will return any money or assets lost if fraudulent activity occurs on a client’s account. See the company’s website for terms and conditions.

• Best for: TD Ameritrade is best for all level of investors, and it is especially good for those who want the backing of a major financial firm with many products and services.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

TD Ameritrade Company Information