1.18/5

TD Ameritrade

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

220 Ameritrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had opened an account yesterday and was approved. Instead of a regular checking account like I thought I had opened, I had opened a stock account and had already deposited my work checks. I had received an email stating I needed to either call and verify my identity or fax in documentation. I had called and verified everything without issues and was told the remainder of the account is free to use. While attempting to add my apartment number I had issues and called customer care, whom transferred me to tech support. Tech support informed me that my account was closed due to fraud, but wouldn’t tell me anything. He told me it was more than likely due to trying to update my address several times in a row. He told me they didn’t have a number and I couldn’t talk to them.

I called back and spoke with someone in hopes of being transferred. Fraud wouldn’t speak to me and told him they would call me in 1-2 business days. That is absolutely unacceptable. How are you a bank, but refuse to speak to customers. On top of having my money that I needed to pay bills. Had I known this I would’ve just went to Walmart and cashed it myself! I was told they would mail out my check within 48 hours for my account balance. Hopefully, it wasn’t misinformation. I am fed up! Steer clear!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I opened a new account with TD Ameritrade on the 8th of Jan 2019. I deposited a check from my 401k for 5500 from mass mutual a hr after the check was deposited. On the 24th of Jan the account was locked due to fraud is what they say instead of them just not processing. Then Ameritrade decided to cash a verify the check. Now they're holding my funds hostage and won't release my money. I was just told I would have to wait 60 days once the investigation process is over. I've never used this account for anything and they won't reveal why the account was blocked in the first place.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have recently thought about, yes just thought about, signing up for a trading account and had begun to fill out information online at TD Ameritrade. I hadn't yet finished the entire application, nor had I funded anything to them yet. Yet in my recent review of my credit report I learned that TD Ameritrade has done a credit check on me and listed their reasons for doing so as "insurance underwriting"!!!! Someone at Ameritrade did an unauthorized credit check on me and I'm not even their customer yet! And even if I was and had finished all the paperwork and funded it, they should not be doing a credit check when I'm the one paying them for services! There would be absolutely no reason at any time for them to credit check anyone of their customers! I won't be doing business ever with TD Ameritrade and I would highly suggest anyone else not do business with them either!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was with Scottrade for 12 years and always knew where and how much money I had. There's a lot of good detail in Ameritrade so much so I get confused in the 6 months I learned it. The guy who help have mostly never been thru a 2008 hard market turn down as they were in High School then. They do have to pass a SEC exam so they mostly have the education to work. It's the red tape you have to go thru to get your money out as they can be hard-nosed and throw a hoop in front to stop your money from transferring.

Overall they earn just a passing grade due to the non features like ACH, a slow way to get my money, Cancelling your trade when it pays a dividend (I never could see the point except they claim the stock will go down when it pays dividend but they let you reuse the trade at either a high or lower price so I lost money on closed-end exchange traded funds. Exchange traded. I AM LEAVING THEM FOR SCHWAB OR FIDELITY AND NEVER LOOKING BACK. Make them your 3rd choice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a couple stocks at one price in 2017, now in 2019 I notice the purchase price has changed as if I paid more for them, even though both stock lost value, it made me lost more money since the original price is more than I purchased them for. SMGDH... Scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Please for your sake go to another Broker, of which there are many. They consistently provide poor individual customer service when needed beyond routine issues. The spend a lot of money advertising on TV to get customers, then treat them like crap once obtained.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have a question about cash transfer because website does not allow me to do it. Yesterday and today I call customer service and wait more than 1 hour, no answer. I write email, no answer too. I don't know how to do business with it. There is no customer services.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We invested into our kids' college savings plan and a separate stock investment. In less than 6 months, we received a letter that TD Ameritrade is terminating our account. No explanation. We have been instructed to liquidate the remaining funds (I’m assuming the money they took from us will not be refunded) within 30 days of the date on the letter. If it is not done, they will decide on how to disperse our money. Do not invest or put your trust in this company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Imagine you have your money in TD Ameritrade, and at least for two weeks you are not able to log in because the system has issues. I have spoken 6 times with Customer Service representatives, they are very kind but do not have a solution. Then you are transferred to the Tech Department, which ask the same procedure again and again. They try through Google, Firefox and then, when they realize they can't solve, they say, "We will speak with Liaison." This department never answers, and in theory the ticket has the highest priority possible. I am still waiting for an answer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Just want to sign up an account. But there are few application forms need to be done by mail to them before open up an account. So inconvenience for everyone! Personally, I'm having few investments or trade account. They make it easy for me!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I received an option to purchase stock before it was released to public that was on October 31 statement. No notification from Ameritrade or company that my attention is required. By the time I found out the offer expired on Nov.12. I would have purchased it. No big deal, just saying.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

$6.95 trades with no hidden fees is a bald faced lie. When you buy it's $6.95, when you sell it's $12.90. Nowhere in their sales pitch will you be notified about the actual cost of handling your account.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Absolutely terrible customer service. Especially Henderson Nevada branch with the manager named Clay **. Left messages to call me but no call back. Try for yourself **. Don't make my mistake. Find a different online trading company. Don't sign up with TD Ameritrade!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I opened an account and the hidden fees started. Once I caught it I sold everything and tried to withdraw my money and they refused to release. They said because my account was less than one year old. Then they started with the maintenance fees - eating every penny they could. FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC - FTC website. If we all do it it will help.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I been with TD Ameritrade since 2013, I have accounts with them. In 2018 my purse got stolen so I got police reports every things, TD Ameritrade refused to issued me new checkbooks or banks cards. They froze my account for six months without letting me when I tried to have access to my owned funds I was not allowed too. Since I have several trusts funds with them if I was not a person that didn't believes in do not put your eggs in one basket I would be ** by TD Ameritrade behavior.

Just this Monday that I had to files out paperwork see if they can waive the froze restrictions from all of my accounts. This lady whom work for TD Ameritrade at 142 West 23 St NYC office every other days she called text and emails and leave voice messages, she knows I have several accounts outside TD Ameritrade. She's been reassure me to consolidate. She called it all of my accounts so they can managed my wealth for between 1 to 9% annual fees so I told her I cannot override my wills and trusts funds not my attorney nor my accounts.

I honestly do not trusts them after am not allowed to have access to my own money for six month. The reason was I do not have enough activity in the accounts. Am like, "What the hell that's supposedly mean?" They said they reading the notes whomever wrote it in the banking department so am still waiting access to my own funds am thinking to transfer out and this lady kept invited me to events TD Ameritrade have whom works for them. I have been ** to do with my times and myself.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was happy back when I was with Scottrade - no problems at all and customer support was friendly and would get back to you. 1) With TD Ameritrade, no one gets back to you unless they're trying to promote a product of theirs. 2) I was supposed to get free trades for adding additional money to my account. When I placed trades, I noticed the transaction fees. I called both support and a local branch, who both feigned ignorance. About a week after my discussion, the fees were finally reimbursed. I had placed additional trades in the span of 3 months and they were also charged transaction fees. This is ridiculous!

3) On top of that, the account summary is difficult to read since I see so many transactions going in and out (mostly out) of my account even though I am not moving anything. It is not as upfront nor transparent as Scottrade was. 4) My trades (market and limit orders on stocks and options) are taking very long to execute even though I am staring at the ticker prices (on their site and other sites) and the stock has already met and exceeded my limit price yet has not executed. I have missed on a couple of orders because of this AND I have also paid more than I know I should have. I have a very strong feeling, TD Ameritrade brokers are holding and waiting on customer trades in their favor so the brokers can profit by putting the higher price on customers. This did not happen with Scottrade.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Had made a request to withdraw funds. Funds were pulled from my bank instead of being deposited. Seeing other reviews saying same thing. They don't care. They act like it's your fault. Messages on TD website prove it was them making the mistake. They then listed a deposit to make it look like I caused it. DON'T TRUST THEM. Be aware of everything.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I signed up and funded a brokerage account after months of education both free and paid because I love their Thinkorswim platform. It is also the platform of choice for my 20+ year experienced teacher. The software is amazing, however after funding the account changing my day off so I had a free day just to trade during the week, I go to trade and realized my Thinkorswim is locked down, unable to execute multi leg options or forex trading. I've been practicing in their paperMoney platform and learning from my teacher.

After many many emails, even after passing their lengthy course and test they still wouldn't approve me for their "tier2" options which is what's required to trade forex and multi leg options. They approved me for margin, for risky stocks but not multi leg options which allow me to hedge my risk? It's bull. They don't want to protect you from yourself, they only want the idiots dumb enough to blow their margin on high risk stocks at a high commission rate. My commission free Robin Hood account is fine for that but some people want more. Thinkorswim can deliver more but at a cost of high commissions for inferior service. Guess I have to learn a new platform and pay less commissions to a broker that actually wants my business.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I called Ameritrade and asked to transfer money my cash flow which was not used for trade into my checking account. They did the opposite and transferred money from my checking into Ameritrade. I had to pay overdraft fees from my checking account and I was expecting that money to book a business trip. When I called they didn't take the blame and only apologized about the misunderstanding. I told them I was pretty specific and repeated myself a couple of times, still just an apology. Worst experience with this company, I don't recommend anyone to invest your money at Ameritrade.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Had a great time with Scottrade. After they switched to Ameritrade it's not working out. Tried to buy stock. Keep getting error page and get logged out automatically. Very frustrating. Wasted lot of time uselessly pulling out of this company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was a user for the TD Ameritrade think or swim platform. While chatting with fellow traders, an ego driven and sully admin, decided to silence my account functionality without reason as to why or the circumstances as to whether it would be reactivated. Apparently, was talking about jumps in certain OTCs that the admin found out of line. After several repeated attempts with all sorts of characters on the phone, I kept getting the end result of "there is nothing we can do to un-ban you", "check back maybe in a month." Well, I have another account at Fidelity where the service is impeccable, so too bad TD. Try not being a bunch of condescending tyrants, and maybe then you will keep customers. Think or swim functionality is limited, and there is not any immediate help or care for concerns. Was with Scottrade for years before they became TD, switched to fidelity. Better commissions, down to earth people, unlike TD.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I do not trust them. Do you think I’ll have a problem cashing out from them? I have a cash account. How long do you think will take for them to send me a check. I just had a dividend check payable on August 15. They did not send it to the end of the month. I could say more but the hell with them I do not trust.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Customer service will not allow me access to my funds. It is a red flag towards their solvency. I had to turn over my complaint to the NJ department of Banking and Insurance. I have been with them with large deposits for over 20 years.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My checking information to pay my bill was lost or stolen. In July I had to dispute a fraudulent charge. I gave all my information back to them. I had an extra #1 in the account. I found out a week ago a small error they claimed to being to collect a payment. I just corrected that and made more than my minimum payment for July. I'm just getting word from them in late August and September of the missed payments from July. They threatened to report me. I can't make a full payment of $314.68 all at once.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Around 4 or 5 yrs ago I Was a investor at TD Ameritrade. I was saddened by what I was charged for margin calls. After I paid a margin call they billed me another margin call (I was charge up to $34.00 in margin calls when selling). My last 2 stocks I had coming almost $80 to $100. When I sold my stock they kept everything on my last 2 trades. No money back. They added margin calls to my account. I sold stocks before just a few months ago before between 2010 and 2014 I was not charged margin calls before. I was fed up and left.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I tried to contact TD Ameritrade Client Services to try and troubleshoot a trade. I had placed a limit order and it failed to execute despite large volume at the limit price. First I tried to call, but was put in queue in light of “unusual call volume”. So I tried the email option, but when I selected the subject option pertaining to trades, a message indicated this was a telephone call only issue. Another attempted call went unanswered after nearly five minutes negotiating menus and being put on hold, altogether nearly a half hour of time devoted to getting nowhere. I was a Scottrade client for 16 years and never had problems like this.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I Have been trying to transfer around 1500 to my personal account from my broker's account at TD Ameritrade. First, the Bill Pay service has been down in the last 2 days and no signs on getting fixed. I call the representer and told me that the only way to withdraw funds was to do a wire transfer directly to my personal account. I did the transfer after putting the bank information. After 1 hour I get an email stating that funds were unable to transfer so I went back to my account and was locked. I called 3 times and not one in the branch can explain the issue. They stated that it was locked for fraud protection and that they will call me for any questions. They probably want to use the money to profit and don't care about their clients. I hope they can fixed the issue or we are thinking in scale the situation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I was part of Scottrade until it merged with TD Ameritrade. It was hard for me. Scottrade was more simple as the years went by however TD Ameritrade became worse as the days went by and months went by. I had to guess at things and then ask people because the account they made for me at TD Ameritrade kept shutting me down. Password would not work then when password worked it would ask questions and not remember the answers. I also found people were misleading me. I wanted to leave to another broker. I asked how much to transfer at TD Ameritrade. He wrote $75 however someone wrote zero when I asked. I asked E*trade how much it would cost to move to E*trade he wrote zero.

Then I went to E*trade and liked it and applied for transfer. They gave me no bill to review then to accept then pay. Then after it appeared at E*trade then TD Ameritrade expected to be paid just imagine if they asked for several thousand I would of been in big trouble. TD Ameritrade wrote on the internet partial transfers are free and then asked for money however they kept changing the amount from $315 to $285 for one stock WNBD Winning Brands Corporation. Look it up as a stock and you see how next to worthless it is. E*trade is a great broker they saw the mistake about charging me $75 when it was free to start there and fixed the problem and my username and password always works well there the whole time I have used it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We have had Ameritrade accounts since early this year and were happy until today. Their Risk Management team has closed our accounts without giving cause or reason for the action. So now I must move everything to another broker. It's unreasonable of them to close an account that is active and in presumed good standing and not to provide a reason to flat out refuse to give a reason. I believe they are discriminating against us because of my partners' current situation. I will not recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Josh **, Ameritrade - Burlington, MA. Don't be stupid to give your money to Josh ** of Ameritrade and Tanner ** - ThinkOrSwim. They chase you for the money because they can make commission out of it. Once money is in they leave you alone. You sent them the emails. No response. They promised to call you. No phone call. Disappointed and felt extremely disgusting.

TD Ameritrade expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TD Ameritrade, founded in 1975 as First Securities Omaha, is a full-service brokerage firm. It is still headquartered in Omaha, Neb. and now holds $774 billion in investor assets. It offers many types of investment and financial products for all levels of investors. Clients can work with agents in local branches or only trade stocks online.

• Platform: TD Ameritrade offers multiple platforms, one that is more basic and another that includes more advanced tools for experienced traders. Those interested in trade speed or best-execution rates can find the site’s statistics online.

• Tools and calculators: Visitors to the TD Ameritrade website can use several tools and calculators to help them figure out how much to save and the best investing methods for their financial situation. Some of these tools are free for all consumers, not only TD Ameritrade customers.

• Education: TD Ameritrade customers have access to educational materials to improve their stock market knowledge. The company has a daily and a quarterly publication that includes news stories, investor insights and research.

• Research resources: The TD Ameritrade site has resources for traders to use for researching investments. In addition to historical stock profiles, clients can access technical analysis reports and use Social Signals, which pulls data from Twitter to help investors spot trends.

• Asset Protection: TD Ameritrade provides clients with Asset Protection. The company will return any money or assets lost if fraudulent activity occurs on a client’s account. See the company’s website for terms and conditions.

• Best for: TD Ameritrade is best for all level of investors, and it is especially good for those who want the backing of a major financial firm with many products and services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

NE
68154-2631
www.tdameritrade.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.