3.49/5

TD Ameritrade

230 Ameritrade Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

I deposited some small amount of money a week ago, part of the money I invested in a single stock, I sold it the day after, at a loss, I deposited another amount and then, the nightmare started. I went the website and it said the money was clear and available to withdraw, which I did ask. The day after, I had a message that I could not take the money out because it needed three days to clear (in the meantime my bank told me that they had cashed the money) so they told me over the phone to wait until Monday. Monday I log in and the money was available for withdrawing, again, I did it and just to make sure, I went to the live chat and asked the clerk to make sure I could take the money out. Oh surprise, by the time I went back to the total, it was a deduction W-9 due to whatever so the full amount wasn't available.

I went to the live chat again, and believe me or not, they told me I could take the money out, of course, minus the W-9 **, I did it again, and I just walk home, checked their website, and the money was back into the account! Well, at this point, I might need a lawyer to get the fricking money out, or either they are not trained right or they just playing and taking as much as they can of your money.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I used Future Advisor as an IRA vehicle to try to avoid high fees for the funds I invested in. However, they forced you to hold the investments in TD-bad idea. The TD interactive GUI is pretty bad and far from intuitive-particularly if you are not using it to trade on a regular basis. Further, their process for cashing out funds in an IRA and converting them to cash is onerous and slow.

Additionally, their messaging system is terrible-it is slow and then you can’t get a decent response to what you are trying to accomplish-it is a huge time waster. And to top it off when I was rolling over my IRAs out of Future Advisor, I got notification that my funds had been converted to cash and then a couple of days later they were converted back to funds and Future Advisor said the error was on TD Ameritrade’s end. And finally, they don’t have a chat option at all like most financial companies. TD is huge. It is hard to believe they can’t invest in this type of positive, instantaneous vehicle for customer feedback and satisfaction.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I've had an Ameritrade account for a dozen years. Last week I placed an order for 10,000 share of EYCCF and it showed up on my screen as "filled for .0704/share. Today it closed at .088/share. But with sleight-of-hand, suddenly my screen showed that I only have 150 shares! That would mean I was so incredibly stupid as to open a position for $7.00 and pay $6.95 to do it! In a dozen years, my trades have been for between a very low of $500.00 to a high of $5,000.00.

I explained this to Ameritrade and they had the temerity to claim that "before closing it seemed I had purchased 10k shares BUT since it was an OTC trade, it takes time to show the ACTUAL trade and, after closing, the trade was filled as a PARTIAL for only 150 shares." How would you feel if your brokerage essentially cheated you out of hundreds of dollars and then refused to own their mistake? The only way I could prove my point is if I printed out what appeared on my computer screen every other minute and Ameritrade knows no-one would or could do that. So, unless you want to get cheated out of your money, without recourse, DO NOT USE AMERITRADE AS YOUR BROKERAGE!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I had an account with Scottrade, everything was good then after the merge my account moved to Ameritrade and that was a disaster, terrible customer service, they had all my account messed up with fees and taxes, sent money from my account to IRS for taxes has been already paid, really disappointed, They do not care about their customers, I can not believe they are still in business, that is not the way you should be running a business, I gave them one star. I wish there is something worse, even one star it is too much for them.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Use Bull or Robinhood. This company set up their technology so that when you want to get out of a trade the software locks up. It's happened way too many times. I've lost tens of thousands of dollars and they don't do crap about it probably because they're a Canadian company. If I can just get one person to close their account or not open one I did my job. This company is a bunch of crooks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have noticed repeatedly that the "purchase price per option" changes overnight... but not all of them just some at random. Other options remain the same overnight. I have contacted TD Ameritrade... First, they say it is a computer problem, then they said it adding commission into the per-option price? So which is it? And then I point out it doesn't explain how some change and others don't. I feel like I am getting the runaround to avoid them admitting a bigger problem. It all seems fishy to me.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Experienced Stock Trader... TD Ameritrade thinkorswim trading platform is designed to take your hard earned money. Period. $6.95 per trade, millions of customers. You do the math. This company is winning. Use the pretty charts and mobile app, but DO NOT open an account giving these corporate thieves your money. Don't be fooled by the friendly Customer Service Reps. Those phone calls will end up costing you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the long run. A complete SCAM! You've been warned.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I'm Free I'm Free!! I finally dumped Ameritrade and transferred my entire account to another brokerage firm. But not before they stuck it to me one last time to the tune of about $75 for the privilege of being rid of them. I'm not sure how this company stays in business. When I talked to them on the phone they were more interested in selling me investments than they were in helping me. They are fee happy and really stuck it to me before I finally ended the debacle. Keep treating your customers like you treated me and you won't be around much longer. Good riddance!

Original review: March 1, 2019

Please people don't do business with this company. It's a living nightmare!!! I opened a simple account with a mere $50 to buy pot stocks. I am a newbie to this business and wasn't able to navigate the tremendous webpage. I then cancelled the account and did a wire transfer. I can't log back into my account. I have been emailing for the last 3 days to no avail. I don't know where my money is nor do I know if the account is closed. They keep emailing me that I have a message but again I Can't view anything on a closed acct. Please this is truly a company that really could care less about their customers. Don't get sucked in period!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

There are too many bad things about TD Ameritrade to list. #1, DISHONESTY!! THEY BAIT AND SWITCH!!! They lie to you to get you on board with your money. Once you're in, they sooner or later bait and switch on you, and change the rules of their operations when you're unaware, without telling you beforehand, or after. They give you the runaround once you discover their shenanigans, and after you find them out, making many undaunting and persevering phone calls to them in good will, they give you the runaround, and shuffle you around their various departments, w/ everyone giving you patronizing answers, because they've flagged you as a person to *"ignore" or "easy target." This company is DISHONEST.

Everything you see in their CNBC commercials, is just that. Lies, and dishonest. Why are its owners taking advantage of the people's monies with their dishonest business practices??? BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE STAND UP TO ITS TOP TIER MANAGEMENT, AND TAKE THEM TO COURT!!! There are several class action lawsuits going on RIGHT NOW.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had opened an account yesterday and was approved. Instead of a regular checking account like I thought I had opened, I had opened a stock account and had already deposited my work checks. I had received an email stating I needed to either call and verify my identity or fax in documentation. I had called and verified everything without issues and was told the remainder of the account is free to use. While attempting to add my apartment number I had issues and called customer care, whom transferred me to tech support. Tech support informed me that my account was closed due to fraud, but wouldn’t tell me anything. He told me it was more than likely due to trying to update my address several times in a row. He told me they didn’t have a number and I couldn’t talk to them.

I called back and spoke with someone in hopes of being transferred. Fraud wouldn’t speak to me and told him they would call me in 1-2 business days. That is absolutely unacceptable. How are you a bank, but refuse to speak to customers. On top of having my money that I needed to pay bills. Had I known this I would’ve just went to Walmart and cashed it myself! I was told they would mail out my check within 48 hours for my account balance. Hopefully, it wasn’t misinformation. I am fed up! Steer clear!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I opened a new account with TD Ameritrade on the 8th of Jan 2019. I deposited a check from my 401k for 5500 from mass mutual a hr after the check was deposited. On the 24th of Jan the account was locked due to fraud is what they say instead of them just not processing. Then Ameritrade decided to cash a verify the check. Now they're holding my funds hostage and won't release my money. I was just told I would have to wait 60 days once the investigation process is over. I've never used this account for anything and they won't reveal why the account was blocked in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I have recently thought about, yes just thought about, signing up for a trading account and had begun to fill out information online at TD Ameritrade. I hadn't yet finished the entire application, nor had I funded anything to them yet. Yet in my recent review of my credit report I learned that TD Ameritrade has done a credit check on me and listed their reasons for doing so as "insurance underwriting"!!!! Someone at Ameritrade did an unauthorized credit check on me and I'm not even their customer yet! And even if I was and had finished all the paperwork and funded it, they should not be doing a credit check when I'm the one paying them for services! There would be absolutely no reason at any time for them to credit check anyone of their customers! I won't be doing business ever with TD Ameritrade and I would highly suggest anyone else not do business with them either!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was with Scottrade for 12 years and always knew where and how much money I had. There's a lot of good detail in Ameritrade so much so I get confused in the 6 months I learned it. The guy who help have mostly never been thru a 2008 hard market turn down as they were in High School then. They do have to pass a SEC exam so they mostly have the education to work. It's the red tape you have to go thru to get your money out as they can be hard-nosed and throw a hoop in front to stop your money from transferring.

Overall they earn just a passing grade due to the non features like ACH, a slow way to get my money, Cancelling your trade when it pays a dividend (I never could see the point except they claim the stock will go down when it pays dividend but they let you reuse the trade at either a high or lower price so I lost money on closed-end exchange traded funds. Exchange traded. I AM LEAVING THEM FOR SCHWAB OR FIDELITY AND NEVER LOOKING BACK. Make them your 3rd choice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a couple stocks at one price in 2017, now in 2019 I notice the purchase price has changed as if I paid more for them, even though both stock lost value, it made me lost more money since the original price is more than I purchased them for. SMGDH... Scam.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Please for your sake go to another Broker, of which there are many. They consistently provide poor individual customer service when needed beyond routine issues. The spend a lot of money advertising on TV to get customers, then treat them like crap once obtained.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have a question about cash transfer because website does not allow me to do it. Yesterday and today I call customer service and wait more than 1 hour, no answer. I write email, no answer too. I don't know how to do business with it. There is no customer services.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We invested into our kids' college savings plan and a separate stock investment. In less than 6 months, we received a letter that TD Ameritrade is terminating our account. No explanation. We have been instructed to liquidate the remaining funds (I’m assuming the money they took from us will not be refunded) within 30 days of the date on the letter. If it is not done, they will decide on how to disperse our money. Do not invest or put your trust in this company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Imagine you have your money in TD Ameritrade, and at least for two weeks you are not able to log in because the system has issues. I have spoken 6 times with Customer Service representatives, they are very kind but do not have a solution. Then you are transferred to the Tech Department, which ask the same procedure again and again. They try through Google, Firefox and then, when they realize they can't solve, they say, "We will speak with Liaison." This department never answers, and in theory the ticket has the highest priority possible. I am still waiting for an answer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Just want to sign up an account. But there are few application forms need to be done by mail to them before open up an account. So inconvenience for everyone! Personally, I'm having few investments or trade account. They make it easy for me!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I received an option to purchase stock before it was released to public that was on October 31 statement. No notification from Ameritrade or company that my attention is required. By the time I found out the offer expired on Nov.12. I would have purchased it. No big deal, just saying.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

$6.95 trades with no hidden fees is a bald faced lie. When you buy it's $6.95, when you sell it's $12.90. Nowhere in their sales pitch will you be notified about the actual cost of handling your account.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Absolutely terrible customer service. Especially Henderson Nevada branch with the manager named Clay **. Left messages to call me but no call back. Try for yourself **. Don't make my mistake. Find a different online trading company. Don't sign up with TD Ameritrade!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I opened an account and the hidden fees started. Once I caught it I sold everything and tried to withdraw my money and they refused to release. They said because my account was less than one year old. Then they started with the maintenance fees - eating every penny they could. FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FTC - FTC website. If we all do it it will help.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I been with TD Ameritrade since 2013, I have accounts with them. In 2018 my purse got stolen so I got police reports every things, TD Ameritrade refused to issued me new checkbooks or banks cards. They froze my account for six months without letting me when I tried to have access to my owned funds I was not allowed too. Since I have several trusts funds with them if I was not a person that didn't believes in do not put your eggs in one basket I would be ** by TD Ameritrade behavior.

Just this Monday that I had to files out paperwork see if they can waive the froze restrictions from all of my accounts. This lady whom work for TD Ameritrade at 142 West 23 St NYC office every other days she called text and emails and leave voice messages, she knows I have several accounts outside TD Ameritrade. She's been reassure me to consolidate. She called it all of my accounts so they can managed my wealth for between 1 to 9% annual fees so I told her I cannot override my wills and trusts funds not my attorney nor my accounts.

I honestly do not trusts them after am not allowed to have access to my own money for six month. The reason was I do not have enough activity in the accounts. Am like, "What the hell that's supposedly mean?" They said they reading the notes whomever wrote it in the banking department so am still waiting access to my own funds am thinking to transfer out and this lady kept invited me to events TD Ameritrade have whom works for them. I have been ** to do with my times and myself.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I was happy back when I was with Scottrade - no problems at all and customer support was friendly and would get back to you. 1) With TD Ameritrade, no one gets back to you unless they're trying to promote a product of theirs. 2) I was supposed to get free trades for adding additional money to my account. When I placed trades, I noticed the transaction fees. I called both support and a local branch, who both feigned ignorance. About a week after my discussion, the fees were finally reimbursed. I had placed additional trades in the span of 3 months and they were also charged transaction fees. This is ridiculous!

3) On top of that, the account summary is difficult to read since I see so many transactions going in and out (mostly out) of my account even though I am not moving anything. It is not as upfront nor transparent as Scottrade was. 4) My trades (market and limit orders on stocks and options) are taking very long to execute even though I am staring at the ticker prices (on their site and other sites) and the stock has already met and exceeded my limit price yet has not executed. I have missed on a couple of orders because of this AND I have also paid more than I know I should have. I have a very strong feeling, TD Ameritrade brokers are holding and waiting on customer trades in their favor so the brokers can profit by putting the higher price on customers. This did not happen with Scottrade.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Had made a request to withdraw funds. Funds were pulled from my bank instead of being deposited. Seeing other reviews saying same thing. They don't care. They act like it's your fault. Messages on TD website prove it was them making the mistake. They then listed a deposit to make it look like I caused it. DON'T TRUST THEM. Be aware of everything.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I signed up and funded a brokerage account after months of education both free and paid because I love their Thinkorswim platform. It is also the platform of choice for my 20+ year experienced teacher. The software is amazing, however after funding the account changing my day off so I had a free day just to trade during the week, I go to trade and realized my Thinkorswim is locked down, unable to execute multi leg options or forex trading. I've been practicing in their paperMoney platform and learning from my teacher.

After many many emails, even after passing their lengthy course and test they still wouldn't approve me for their "tier2" options which is what's required to trade forex and multi leg options. They approved me for margin, for risky stocks but not multi leg options which allow me to hedge my risk? It's bull. They don't want to protect you from yourself, they only want the idiots dumb enough to blow their margin on high risk stocks at a high commission rate. My commission free Robin Hood account is fine for that but some people want more. Thinkorswim can deliver more but at a cost of high commissions for inferior service. Guess I have to learn a new platform and pay less commissions to a broker that actually wants my business.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I called Ameritrade and asked to transfer money my cash flow which was not used for trade into my checking account. They did the opposite and transferred money from my checking into Ameritrade. I had to pay overdraft fees from my checking account and I was expecting that money to book a business trip. When I called they didn't take the blame and only apologized about the misunderstanding. I told them I was pretty specific and repeated myself a couple of times, still just an apology. Worst experience with this company, I don't recommend anyone to invest your money at Ameritrade.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Had a great time with Scottrade. After they switched to Ameritrade it's not working out. Tried to buy stock. Keep getting error page and get logged out automatically. Very frustrating. Wasted lot of time uselessly pulling out of this company.

TD Ameritrade expert review by Clark Kendall

TD Ameritrade, founded in 1975 as First Securities Omaha, is a full-service brokerage firm. It is still headquartered in Omaha, Neb. and now holds $774 billion in investor assets. It offers many types of investment and financial products for all levels of investors. Clients can work with agents in local branches or only trade stocks online.

• Platform: TD Ameritrade offers multiple platforms, one that is more basic and another that includes more advanced tools for experienced traders. Those interested in trade speed or best-execution rates can find the site’s statistics online.

• Tools and calculators: Visitors to the TD Ameritrade website can use several tools and calculators to help them figure out how much to save and the best investing methods for their financial situation. Some of these tools are free for all consumers, not only TD Ameritrade customers.

• Education: TD Ameritrade customers have access to educational materials to improve their stock market knowledge. The company has a daily and a quarterly publication that includes news stories, investor insights and research.

• Research resources: The TD Ameritrade site has resources for traders to use for researching investments. In addition to historical stock profiles, clients can access technical analysis reports and use Social Signals, which pulls data from Twitter to help investors spot trends.

• Asset Protection: TD Ameritrade provides clients with Asset Protection. The company will return any money or assets lost if fraudulent activity occurs on a client’s account. See the company’s website for terms and conditions.

• Best for: TD Ameritrade is best for all level of investors, and it is especially good for those who want the backing of a major financial firm with many products and services.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Ameritrade Company Information