Find an Online Brokers partner

Help me decide

3.7/5 (277 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investment trading. It supports a variety of investment products, including stocks, ETFs, options, mutual funds, annuities and cryptocurrency trading. It provides free educational materials, proprietary tools and software, portfolio management and customer service to support investors. Some trades require no commission, and the company is transparent about other fees.

Top TD Ameritrade Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smoothly... When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support...

Verified

For online trading accounts TD Ameritrade surpasses Robin Hood and Wee bull in spades. It is the only brokerage account that you can actually speak to somebody in person right awa...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is TD Ameritrade?

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investing and trading services. It offers online tools and web and mobile platforms for users to trade easily, test investment strategies and perform analyses. Its investment products include:

• Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency trading
  • Bonds
  • Annuities
  • IPOs

The company also provides cash solutions and managed portfolios. Its online stock, ETF and options trades result in $0 commissions. Trades of other investment products and all broker-assisted trades require fees, however.

In addition to trading, TD Ameritrade also provides educational materials and guidance on its website to help you get your investments in order and reach your goals.

How does TD Ameritrade work?

With TD Ameritrade, users must open up an account before buying and trading. The company’s account options include:

• Standard Accounts for most individual and joint accounts
  • Retirement Accounts including Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Rollover IRAs
  • Education Accounts for education costs
  • Specialty Accounts including trusts, pension plans and others
  • Managed Portfolios in which a TD Ameritrade professional manages your portfolio for you
  • Margin Trading for investment borrowing

After opening your account, manage it with TD Ameritrade’s platforms and apps, including:

• Web platforms: These have all the tools to research, plan and stay up to date on market trends.
  • thinkorswim Desktop software: Offers high-powered tools that enable analysis, strategy testing and risk/reward monitoring.
  • thinkorswim Web app: Offers the same options as the desktop software but designed for the internet.
  • Mobile trading: Lets you manage your trading from multiple devices. This platform even has an option for staying on top of your trades via an Apple Watch.

Through these platforms, you can research stocks, place trades and manage your portfolio.

TD Ameritrade fees

TD Ameritrade’s fees depend on the investment product and the level of service you require, but all online trades of U.S. exchange-listed stocks, ETFs and mutual funds require $0 commission. Fees for other investment products and services range from $0 to $49.99.

Before buying and trading with TD Ameritrade, review all commissions, brokerage fees and margin and interest rates. The company has transparent and up-to-date fees on its website.

TD Ameritrade FAQ

Is TD Ameritrade good for beginning investors?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has resources for beginning investors and platforms that guide you through the trading process.
Can you use TD Ameritrade for mobile trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has a platform that is specifically for mobile trading.
Does TD Ameritrade have an app?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has an app that allows you to manage your accounts on the go.
Does TD Ameritrade offer mock trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade offers a virtual stock market simulator called paperMoney.

Is TD Ameritrade safe?

Yes. TD Ameritrade is a trusted company with a long-standing name in investment buying and trading, and it’s stayed up to date with its technology and online resources. It offers a diverse array of investment products, account types and trading tools. Plus, TD Ameritrade offers some trading with $0 commission and is transparent about all other fees.

TD Ameritrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

They have great customer service and their fees are extremely fair. I haven't had any issues with them and I've been with them for more than a decade. They've always been helpful when I had questions or problems. I would recommend anyone to try them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I have been with TDAMERITRADE for over 25 years and I love it. The website is user friendly. The support is always immediate no matter how they are contacted. The agents are knowledgeable and friendly. The trades could not possibly go more smoothly. I have recommended them to many people over the years who also love it. My sister loves the educational materials they offer. She is excited to learn about options. It is exciting to share investment strategies with each other and our children. If there is a better company, I have not found it.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I use TD Ameritrade in two ways. I have one account that is managed by them and one account that is managed by me. I find them very easy to work with. Quick response to any issues I run into. Overall a good trading experience.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Overall, this trading platform meets expectations. The online version is intuitive, easy to use, and provides plenty of research material for us to make informed investments. The platform also allows for a certain level of customization so we can see what is important to us. Where the company can improve is its mobile app - I've noticed that the prices are often out of date and therefore provides inaccurate data.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I am new to trading and moved over from just saving in Acorns and a savings account to investing in safer stocks in the Dow Jones. I am taking a class about covered calls and volatility trading but am super new to the whole idea. I love that I can get on the phone and chat through any question big or small and the TD team will always spend time explaining things and even make suggestions and teach me new methods of trading.

I’ve never had a customer service experience quite like this, where I genuinely feel like the person on the end is there to not just problem solve with me, but go above and beyond and just chat. It feels like real support. Instead of answering my question and saying “is there anything else I can help you with” they answer and then having heard what I said make really smart follow up recommendations for things I can learn on the TD education videos, or literally to talk me through how I could optimize my trade next time with actual examples in my portfolio.

Best experience I’ve ever had with any company. I still don’t really understand how they can do this in a day and age where companies seem like they’re trying to enhance speed and reduce call times. It’s like I have a whole squad of people there to help me and I never wait on hold for longer than 2 minutes. Literally incredible. My husband switched from Robinhood because they really offer no help or support and recently with GameStop showed us that they don’t really care about their customers. TD Ameritrade for the win!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

TD Ameritrade used to be the best of the best in customer service then they were bought out by Charles Swaab. Swaab is the worst company, worst service. So now td has gone downhill after this buy out. I noticed the service has gotten progressively worse over time. Nothing like how it was. The agents were rude and unhelpful. I could not stand it. Finally I left. I'm so sad over this change in the company. It's so hard to find good customer service now anywhere. All these buy outs and the service has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have tried to open an account and was told that they "made a business decision to deny opening an account". That’s it. No reason, no explanation- I am completely shocked. I have good credit, no problems that I know of and suddenly I find out that the company does not want my money for no reason whatsoever... If there is a denial that should have been a reason provided for it - I would like to know if there is something going on that I don’t know about..

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

For two weeks I have no access to my portfolio and they blamed it on Merrill for not exporting my data to them. This is a lie because this time, Merrill closed my account The next day after I send transfer request to Fidelity. Their position page is a mess that you can barely view of the companies nor you can manage anything there. Their order trade page Is designed so poorly when I called in one broker asked me to do a quick trade but that easily caused me a loss because the buy and sell It’s not easy to maneuver there.

This comes from a veteran from the Industry. I had to leave them within a month but when I asked them to close my account they didn’t my account stayed open and order with traded because they were too slow to transfer back to Merrill. And he refused to reverse and give those trays back to me. The guy who finally took my call was in private client services who barked at me like I’m a homeless person. They lied again saying it was Merrill‘s problem that transfer was slow that I should have canceled all my orders.

I have never experienced anything like this every time you close an account your account should be frozen. There Were call records the broker did not freeze my account. I called the same day when Merrill try to transfer over. They were unprofessional dishonest the whole platform is chaotic both at the cost center and at the branch everybody lies. The flatten my head in position with all my knowledge and I had to get it back after they listened to the call records. This is a shop you don’t want to deal with!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Needed to move all the money from the account for some investment consolidation I was doing. Came back a month later to add money back into the account and couldn't log in. Customer service rep informed me that as soon as I transferred everything out of the account it was closed. Period, end of story. No notification - nothing. You would think that they would at least give you a grace period and send a nice letter asking if you wanted to keep the account open. But nope, they really don't give a rat's behind about you once you take your money out - even if it's only temporary. But then, how could they know that if they don't ask. Too many other GOOD brokerage firms out there to worry too much about it. But warning to others - they only care about your money - once they get the slightest inkling that you're moving out they shut you down. Bye Bye TD.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

They will rob you of or account with their high fees. And when you are not satisfied with their services and want to leave they will charge you extremely high fees to leave. It's like an abusive relationship. You are treated like a cash cow they can drain while you are there and then hurt when you try to leave.

TD Ameritrade Company Information