3.0/5 (873 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investment trading. It supports a variety of investment products, including stocks, ETFs, options, mutual funds, annuities and cryptocurrency trading. It provides free educational materials, proprietary tools and software, portfolio management and customer service to support investors. Some trades require no commission, and the company is transparent about other fees.

Top TD Ameritrade Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smoothly... When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support...

Verified

For online trading accounts TD Ameritrade surpasses Robin Hood and Wee bull in spades. It is the only brokerage account that you can actually speak to somebody in person right awa...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is TD Ameritrade?

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investing and trading services. It offers online tools and web and mobile platforms for users to trade easily, test investment strategies and perform analyses. Its investment products include:

• Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency trading
  • Bonds
  • Annuities
  • IPOs

The company also provides cash solutions and managed portfolios. Its online stock, ETF and options trades result in $0 commissions. Trades of other investment products and all broker-assisted trades require fees, however.

In addition to trading, TD Ameritrade also provides educational materials and guidance on its website to help you get your investments in order and reach your goals.

How does TD Ameritrade work?

With TD Ameritrade, users must open up an account before buying and trading. The company’s account options include:

• Standard Accounts for most individual and joint accounts
  • Retirement Accounts including Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Rollover IRAs
  • Education Accounts for education costs
  • Specialty Accounts including trusts, pension plans and others
  • Managed Portfolios in which a TD Ameritrade professional manages your portfolio for you
  • Margin Trading for investment borrowing

After opening your account, manage it with TD Ameritrade’s platforms and apps, including:

• Web platforms: These have all the tools to research, plan and stay up to date on market trends.
  • thinkorswim Desktop software: Offers high-powered tools that enable analysis, strategy testing and risk/reward monitoring.
  • thinkorswim Web app: Offers the same options as the desktop software but designed for the internet.
  • Mobile trading: Lets you manage your trading from multiple devices. This platform even has an option for staying on top of your trades via an Apple Watch.

Through these platforms, you can research stocks, place trades and manage your portfolio.

TD Ameritrade fees

TD Ameritrade’s fees depend on the investment product and the level of service you require, but all online trades of U.S. exchange-listed stocks, ETFs and mutual funds require $0 commission. Fees for other investment products and services range from $0 to $49.99.

Before buying and trading with TD Ameritrade, review all commissions, brokerage fees and margin and interest rates. The company has transparent and up-to-date fees on its website.

TD Ameritrade FAQ

Is TD Ameritrade good for beginning investors?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has resources for beginning investors and platforms that guide you through the trading process.
Can you use TD Ameritrade for mobile trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has a platform that is specifically for mobile trading.
Does TD Ameritrade have an app?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has an app that allows you to manage your accounts on the go.
Does TD Ameritrade offer mock trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade offers a virtual stock market simulator called paperMoney.

Is TD Ameritrade safe?

Yes. TD Ameritrade is a trusted company with a long-standing name in investment buying and trading, and it’s stayed up to date with its technology and online resources. It offers a diverse array of investment products, account types and trading tools. Plus, TD Ameritrade offers some trading with $0 commission and is transparent about all other fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

They have great customer service and their fees are extremely fair. I haven't had any issues with them and I've been with them for more than a decade. They've always been helpful when I had questions or problems. I would recommend anyone to try them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I have been with TDAMERITRADE for over 25 years and I love it. The website is user friendly. The support is always immediate no matter how they are contacted. The agents are knowledgeable and friendly. The trades could not possibly go more smoothly. I have recommended them to many people over the years who also love it. My sister loves the educational materials they offer. She is excited to learn about options. It is exciting to share investment strategies with each other and our children. If there is a better company, I have not found it.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I use TD Ameritrade in two ways. I have one account that is managed by them and one account that is managed by me. I find them very easy to work with. Quick response to any issues I run into. Overall a good trading experience.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Overall, this trading platform meets expectations. The online version is intuitive, easy to use, and provides plenty of research material for us to make informed investments. The platform also allows for a certain level of customization so we can see what is important to us. Where the company can improve is its mobile app - I've noticed that the prices are often out of date and therefore provides inaccurate data.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I used TD Ameritrade's ACH service to transfer money into my account. TD Ameritrade then restricted my entire account for almost one week stating they needed to confirm the funds were received when my bank confirmed they received the funds. They even restricted trading on money I already had in the account for months. They said they would release it sooner if I could get my bank to write them a letter on their letterhead and faxed to them stating the funds were paid but my bank said they don't do that. I previously had to sue TDAmeritrade because their brokers routinely give out false information. If I lost potential profits from the funds that are already in my account for months, I have to once again sue TD Ameritrade for that loss. They should never restrict funds already cleared in the account. Now it's clear I need a new broker.

Original review: April 30, 2022

My wife and I opened an account with these idiots with $30,000. I gave them all the info they requested. They took my $30,000 and created my account. Days later they restricted my account because they wanted a physical copy of my SSN which I didn’t have. In the past 50 years I’ve opened many bank accounts, purchased millions of dollars’ worth of real-estate, purchased houses and cars and NEVER has anyone made me give them a physical copy of my social security card. My son just opened an account with them and they didn’t make him show a physical card. They blocked me from even looking at my account online. I had to go to the social security office and apply for a card. This has all taken over a month so far and I still can even look at my account. I should have looked at all the bad reviews before opening an account with them. I will be closing this account when I can stick my card up their!

Original review: March 9, 2022

I used to love this brokerage, but lately they've gone downhill--steeply! Lately I'm having all kinds of problems moving money in and out of my account, including paying bills and completely. Now I have to call all the time, and when I finally do get someone on the phone, they're some snotty kid whose big MBA dreams didn't work out and they always try to end the conversation with "we're a brokerage, not a bank!" Well, you seem to forget one THING! It's MY MONEY and it DOES WHAT I SAY!

If you don't want to be a "bank," then stop offering the same services that a bank does! And, I several accounts stretching to seven figures--but I can't do a simple transfer or bill pay because "you haven't traded that money yet." Well, guess what? If this place won't do simple things with my money, then they really don't need ANY of my money! This was never a problem until lately, so why it is now, I have no idea! So, this place needs to keep up with the "we're a brokerage, not a bank!" line until they're neither and just a sad memory in the annals of fiscal history.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

WARNING WARNING WARNING! Never trust any TD Ameritrade broker. They lie to get you to buy or sell a trade. I was lied to twice which caused losses both times. I lost over $200,000 the 2nd time because a TD Ameritrade trading broker lied to me about a trade I was considering buying which I did then got the shock of my life when all my cash disappeared. And TD Ameritrade's trade resolution desk is there to attempt to cover up their faults not to truthfully watch out for your interests too. I have hired a lawyer to sue TD Ameritrade for misrepresentation and my case is strong because the broker's false statements were recorded. THUS, I will be getting back my money from TD Ameritrade. NEVER!!! Trust a TD Ameritrade broker. Listen to what they say, record it like I did and do your own due diligence. TD Ameritrade brokers are liars.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

TD Ameritrade used to be the best of the best in customer service then they were bought out by Charles Swaab. Swaab is the worst company, worst service. So now td has gone downhill after this buy out. I noticed the service has gotten progressively worse over time. Nothing like how it was. The agents were rude and unhelpful. I could not stand it. Finally I left. I'm so sad over this change in the company. It's so hard to find good customer service now anywhere. All these buy outs and the service has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have tried to open an account and was told that they "made a business decision to deny opening an account". That’s it. No reason, no explanation- I am completely shocked. I have good credit, no problems that I know of and suddenly I find out that the company does not want my money for no reason whatsoever... If there is a denial that should have been a reason provided for it - I would like to know if there is something going on that I don’t know about..

TD Ameritrade Company Information