Find an Online Brokers partner

2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

3.8/5 (430 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investment trading. It supports a variety of investment products, including stocks, ETFs, options, mutual funds, annuities and cryptocurrency trading. It provides free educational materials, proprietary tools and software, portfolio management and customer service to support investors. Some trades require no commission, and the company is transparent about other fees.

Top TD Ameritrade Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smoothly... When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support...

Verified

For online trading accounts TD Ameritrade surpasses Robin Hood and Wee bull in spades. It is the only brokerage account that you can actually speak to somebody in person right awa...

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

What is TD Ameritrade?

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investing and trading services. It offers online tools and web and mobile platforms for users to trade easily, test investment strategies and perform analyses. Its investment products include:

• Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency trading
  • Bonds
  • Annuities
  • IPOs

The company also provides cash solutions and managed portfolios. Its online stock, ETF and options trades result in $0 commissions. Trades of other investment products and all broker-assisted trades require fees, however.

In addition to trading, TD Ameritrade also provides educational materials and guidance on its website to help you get your investments in order and reach your goals.

How does TD Ameritrade work?

With TD Ameritrade, users must open up an account before buying and trading. The company’s account options include:

• Standard Accounts for most individual and joint accounts
  • Retirement Accounts including Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Rollover IRAs
  • Education Accounts for education costs
  • Specialty Accounts including trusts, pension plans and others
  • Managed Portfolios in which a TD Ameritrade professional manages your portfolio for you
  • Margin Trading for investment borrowing

After opening your account, manage it with TD Ameritrade’s platforms and apps, including:

• Web platforms: These have all the tools to research, plan and stay up to date on market trends.
  • thinkorswim Desktop software: Offers high-powered tools that enable analysis, strategy testing and risk/reward monitoring.
  • thinkorswim Web app: Offers the same options as the desktop software but designed for the internet.
  • Mobile trading: Lets you manage your trading from multiple devices. This platform even has an option for staying on top of your trades via an Apple Watch.

Through these platforms, you can research stocks, place trades and manage your portfolio.

TD Ameritrade fees

TD Ameritrade’s fees depend on the investment product and the level of service you require, but all online trades of U.S. exchange-listed stocks, ETFs and mutual funds require $0 commission. Fees for other investment products and services range from $0 to $49.99.

Before buying and trading with TD Ameritrade, review all commissions, brokerage fees and margin and interest rates. The company has transparent and up-to-date fees on its website.

TD Ameritrade FAQ

Is TD Ameritrade good for beginning investors?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has resources for beginning investors and platforms that guide you through the trading process.
Can you use TD Ameritrade for mobile trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has a platform that is specifically for mobile trading.
Does TD Ameritrade have an app?
Yes, TD Ameritrade has an app that allows you to manage your accounts on the go.
Does TD Ameritrade offer mock trading?
Yes, TD Ameritrade offers a virtual stock market simulator called paperMoney.

Is TD Ameritrade safe?

Yes. TD Ameritrade is a trusted company with a long-standing name in investment buying and trading, and it’s stayed up to date with its technology and online resources. It offers a diverse array of investment products, account types and trading tools. Plus, TD Ameritrade offers some trading with $0 commission and is transparent about all other fees.

TD Ameritrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I am new to trading and moved over from just saving in Acorns and a savings account to investing in safer stocks in the Dow Jones. I am taking a class about covered calls and volatility trading but am super new to the whole idea. I love that I can get on the phone and chat through any question big or small and the TD team will always spend time explaining things and even make suggestions and teach me new methods of trading.

I’ve never had a customer service experience quite like this, where I genuinely feel like the person on the end is there to not just problem solve with me, but go above and beyond and just chat. It feels like real support. Instead of answering my question and saying “is there anything else I can help you with” they answer and then having heard what I said make really smart follow up recommendations for things I can learn on the TD education videos, or literally to talk me through how I could optimize my trade next time with actual examples in my portfolio.

Best experience I’ve ever had with any company. I still don’t really understand how they can do this in a day and age where companies seem like they’re trying to enhance speed and reduce call times. It’s like I have a whole squad of people there to help me and I never wait on hold for longer than 2 minutes. Literally incredible. My husband switched from Robinhood because they really offer no help or support and recently with GameStop showed us that they don’t really care about their customers. TD Ameritrade for the win!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

TD Ameritrade has made my investing go smooth and very easy to understand. When I first opened my account I was very new to investing but with their mobile app and online tools together with live support I actually feel like a pro and I have seen my investments go up 100% thanks to counseling and advice on which ones I should make at the right times!! 100 stars if I could.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

TD Ameritrade is the second app I tried for investing. The first one arbitrarily deducted money from my account. But with TD Ameritrade, things are easy to use, no hidden fees, it feels sophisticated and I don't feel taken advantage of. I went with TD Ameritrade because I have a TD bank account which made me trust the app even more.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

I had investments being held in many different financial firms which was very difficult to manage. TD Ameritrade helped me receive a tremendous amount of assistance in gathering all the various investments. This was not an easy task as each brokerage had so many different requirements. It took almost a year to gather them all to consolidate.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Picking an online broker all depends on your focus, investing or trading, as well as access to technical indicators and 'probability' numbers. For options as well as stocks, Thinkorswim, part of TD Ameritrade, has by far the best platform. They also provide written confirmations and live people to talk to, something other firms exclude. However, if you have a 'portfolio margin account', this firm will treat you very badly, as they will indiscriminately liquidate positions without your knowledge or approval, prior to realizing they were wrong.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

They will rob you of or account with their high fees. And when you are not satisfied with their services and want to leave they will charge you extremely high fees to leave. It's like an abusive relationship. You are treated like a cash cow they can drain while you are there and then hurt when you try to leave.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

TD Ameritrade decided to close my account and will not refund the money in my account. They say I have to provide a second address in order to write me a check. The address I have on file has been the one on file since I open the account. They are stealing my money, and after speaking to a supervisor they hung up on me.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We originally went with this Broker b/c we were told we could access the data feed through our charting platform. After we made the change and got set up, we were told it did not accommodate certain assets. This was upsetting b/c we now have to pay an additional 100 dollars a month for their failure to be specific.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I had a decent experience using TD after switching from Vanguard for a couple months. It had the majority of the features I was looking for except for a graph to track gain over time (Which seems like a pretty primitive and obvious feature to have on any given brokerage.) I wasn't too keen on the occasional $1-$4 fees I was being charged for foreign dividends, but then they hit my account with a $38 fee... FOR A REVERSE SPLIT? To be fair, this is not a ridiculous amount to be charged but I have never experienced such a steep fee (to be honest, I had never received a fee for a reverse split in the YEARS I have been using Vanguard), but it was on a position I only had $800 in. A 5% fee for a reverse split... Really?!?

Honestly, I would have stuck with Vanguard if I knew they rob clients like this despite the lack of utility Vanguard has for shorter-term trades. I immediately took the $100 fee and transferred my account to Fidelity, so hopefully the waters are greener here. As an experienced investor, I would not recommend setting up a brokerage with these thieves! They will slowly drain your account with random fees that I have never encountered on any of the other 3 brokerages I have used in the past and currently. If you use their service, better pray that no splits/reverse splits happen within your positions, or they're gonna slam you. In summary, regarding my short-lived TD Ameritrade experience (keep in mind I have only been with them a handful of months), I would describe my experience as being... disappointing.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My experience with TD has been pretty awful over the last couple years. I'm writing today because for the 3rd time in the last 5 trading days I've had chart issues. I have "re-set" the charts to default 2x and still experience the same issues. Again today, I have the same issue. Seems "No one else is having these issues" is a constant refrain from "technical" support and their best---or easiest for them---solution is RESET TO DEFAULT. I say Re-Set your account elsewhere!

TD Ameritrade Company Information