TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Looking for a financial advisor?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a financial advisor?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I have an account with TD Ameritrade/ThinkOrSwim - account# **. I've never broken a TD Ameritrade rule, I have no connections to anyone in government or industries that I trade in, nor have I misstated anything to them in my application. Nevertheless, after a few months trading on their platform (I'm a small account with 10K), they arbitrarily sent me a letter stating they are terminating my account. Every rep I spoke with told me curtly that this is nonnegotiable nor appealable. They never gave me a reason, nor have they ever issued me a warning prior to their decision. They are brutal to their customers and brutal to deal with. I would recommend everyone to stay far away from their platform.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Transferred $7000 in to my account from a checking account for trading. Decided against any trades and have attempted TWICE to transfer back to the checking. TD Does not answer the phone or return emails.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Worst experience with their platform ever. Would be a ZERO star rating but I had to give a 1 star rating. There is always a technical issue within their systems. This happened again on the first trading day of the years. I waited 4 hours on hold before I could get someone on the phone. By then my account had changed by thousands. Orders did not execute and Ameritrade does nothing about this. After I had explained 2 weeks prior the system was slow, struggling, and having issues. In the past when they screwed the pooch I was given free trades. With no more free trade offers I guess they decided there was nothing they could do but blame it on the technology. With billions of market dollars floating about your systems that is unacceptable.

Needless to say this has now happened numerous times through the years and TD Ameritrade refuses to acknowledge and or accept the financial responsibility. When I become angry about my losses and they do nothing then I am locked out to only closing trades further impeding my ability to succeed in the markets. I had been with these disrespectful ** for over 20 years. Over and over costing me money. Worst experience ever and I highly recommend you consider other trading platforms that provide you a much better service.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I had my 401k rolled over to them, my check was cashed and reported as fraud (this was weeks ago). Was suppose to receive letters or a phone call from the fraud department, but never received or heard anything. Anyone I spoke with gives me generic responses, or have no information they can give me. I’ve been patient with them, but I am going to have this investigated, because they are holding on to my money. These people are crooks. I will warn others who I know personally, not to do business with these frauds!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

TDA was a pretty solid company to use for trading US and OTC stocks in 2018 and part of 2019, however, in the past several months, I've been denied use of their trading apps at the most critical time of the day, MARKET OPEN. Any good trader usually logs in before market open to see level 2 data, setups for the day, price action, etc..and yesterday was no different. When Illinois went full rec. ** on 1/1/2020 I knew the next day to trade was a "sell the news event" but 2 minutes before market open when I was entering my trades, their system went down and I couldn't do anything. I literally had zero positions for some reason. I waited on the phone to speak with someone asap but waited for 20 minutes and then finally their system started working again. Therefore I lost out on some of my gains I planned to sell. I lost almost $1000 in profit due to this happening. The share price fell 20 cents in a matter of minutes and I lost money.

A similar example happened back in October. I know they plan to merge with Charles Schwab in the near future so I can only assume they are having transitioning pains. I emailed customer support to ask for some kind of consolation, maybe some free trades or something but all they said was, "Sorry you had problems." As others have said, no one really cares if you lose out due to THEIR issues. I have gigabit internet with 3ms. ping times and knew it had nothing to do with my connection, all other apps I use online were working well except TDA. The only way to make this right was for me to sell all my stock and cash out. Next week I will be opening a Fidelity account which I hear is top notch. Very highly regarded in the trading community. This was the last time I'll let a brokerage firm screw me over on trades. They honestly could care less about you! They use to be much better but not anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

TD sold my stocks without telling me and I lost 3500 and this is the 3rd time. I am going to close my account and don't want to deal with this company again. The worst broker ever and also they tamper the Thinkorswim app on top of it. It is all fake and they take your money. Don't do it!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have been with TD Ameritrade for nearly 20 years, since online trading began. Up until recently with free trades and merger, their services have been great, and this is the reason why I stayed with them. They have been horrible in my last few interactions, waiting up to an hour on hold -- and just giving up. This morning I had a market order placed before 9:00 am ET, and as of now (11:00 AM ET), the order has still not executed. I tried calling them twice, only to on terminal hold. The market order still has not executed, and I am losing a lot of money while it remains open. Could not even cancel the order to replace it. The past few times I gave them a pass, but this is not an isolated incident; they have truly fallen off a cliff in their service! I also tried to do a withdrawal recently, and I was informed it would take up to 7 days. After nearly 20 years with them, I am out of here!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

TD Ameritrade doesn't take care about the real financial negative affects its poor IT system has on you and your wallet. You can do all the research and decisional making processes to arrive at a desired trade or series of trades only to have TD Ameritrade deny you that opportunity because their system is consistently down. Do not trust this company with you money. Do not trust this company to act in your best interests. A good trading company should be invisible to your trading efforts. TD Ameritrade consistently interrupts my trading plans without any concerns or interests in improving the situation.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Getting away from TF Ameritrade. Have had nothing but problems since they bought my account from Scottrade. Have had enough of their incompetence. After staying on hold, and getting one problem solved, another problem pops up. This site is asking me to be more specific. I’ll be specific— YOU SUCK! Is that specific enough?!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

1. They do not answer phone calls. 2. I have margin account debt but they keep this super unclear. Instead of depositing money in your account to cover a trade, they auto opt you in so they can scam interest charges out of you. 3. Even when you have a cash balance, it isn't applied to your margin balance, despite the website claiming it does. 4. Transferring services.

Not sure about TD Ameritrade?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right financial advisor for you.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth expert review by Clark Kendall

TD Ameritrade, founded in 1975 as First Securities Omaha, is a full-service brokerage firm. It is still headquartered in Omaha, Neb. and now holds $774 billion in investor assets. It offers many types of investment and financial products for all levels of investors. Clients can work with agents in local branches or only trade stocks online.

• Platform: TD Ameritrade offers multiple platforms, one that is more basic and another that includes more advanced tools for experienced traders. Those interested in trade speed or best-execution rates can find the site’s statistics online.

• Tools and calculators: Visitors to the TD Ameritrade website can use several tools and calculators to help them figure out how much to save and the best investing methods for their financial situation. Some of these tools are free for all consumers, not only TD Ameritrade customers.

• Education: TD Ameritrade customers have access to educational materials to improve their stock market knowledge. The company has a daily and a quarterly publication that includes news stories, investor insights and research.

• Research resources: The TD Ameritrade site has resources for traders to use for researching investments. In addition to historical stock profiles, clients can access technical analysis reports and use Social Signals, which pulls data from Twitter to help investors spot trends.

• Asset Protection: TD Ameritrade provides clients with Asset Protection. The company will return any money or assets lost if fraudulent activity occurs on a client’s account. See the company’s website for terms and conditions.

• Best for: TD Ameritrade is best for all level of investors, and it is especially good for those who want the backing of a major financial firm with many products and services.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

TD Ameritrade Company Information