3.9/5 (410 ratings)

Find a vetted fiduciary to help with your finances

See what financial advisors are near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade is an online broker of investment trading. It supports a variety of investment products, including stocks, ETFs, options, mutual funds, annuities and cryptocurrency trading. It provides free educational materials, proprietary tools and software, portfolio management and customer service to support investors. Some trades require no commission, and the company is transparent about other fees.

Find a vetted fiduciary to help with your finances

See what financial advisors are near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

TD Ameritrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: June 16, 2022

I used TD Ameritrade's ACH service to transfer money into my account. TD Ameritrade then restricted my entire account for almost one week stating they needed to confirm the funds were received when my bank confirmed they received the funds. They even restricted trading on money I already had in the account for months. They said they would release it sooner if I could get my bank to write them a letter on their letterhead and faxed to them stating the funds were paid but my bank said they don't do that. I previously had to sue TDAmeritrade because their brokers routinely give out false information. If I lost potential profits from the funds that are already in my account for months, I have to once again sue TD Ameritrade for that loss. They should never restrict funds already cleared in the account. Now it's clear I need a new broker.

Original review: April 30, 2022

My wife and I opened an account with these idiots with $30,000. I gave them all the info they requested. They took my $30,000 and created my account. Days later they restricted my account because they wanted a physical copy of my SSN which I didn’t have. In the past 50 years I’ve opened many bank accounts, purchased millions of dollars’ worth of real-estate, purchased houses and cars and NEVER has anyone made me give them a physical copy of my social security card. My son just opened an account with them and they didn’t make him show a physical card. They blocked me from even looking at my account online. I had to go to the social security office and apply for a card. This has all taken over a month so far and I still can even look at my account. I should have looked at all the bad reviews before opening an account with them. I will be closing this account when I can stick my card up their!

Original review: March 9, 2022

I used to love this brokerage, but lately they've gone downhill--steeply! Lately I'm having all kinds of problems moving money in and out of my account, including paying bills and completely. Now I have to call all the time, and when I finally do get someone on the phone, they're some snotty kid whose big MBA dreams didn't work out and they always try to end the conversation with "we're a brokerage, not a bank!" Well, you seem to forget one THING! It's MY MONEY and it DOES WHAT I SAY!

If you don't want to be a "bank," then stop offering the same services that a bank does! And, I several accounts stretching to seven figures--but I can't do a simple transfer or bill pay because "you haven't traded that money yet." Well, guess what? If this place won't do simple things with my money, then they really don't need ANY of my money! This was never a problem until lately, so why it is now, I have no idea! So, this place needs to keep up with the "we're a brokerage, not a bank!" line until they're neither and just a sad memory in the annals of fiscal history.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

WARNING WARNING WARNING! Never trust any TD Ameritrade broker. They lie to get you to buy or sell a trade. I was lied to twice which caused losses both times. I lost over $200,000 the 2nd time because a TD Ameritrade trading broker lied to me about a trade I was considering buying which I did then got the shock of my life when all my cash disappeared. And TD Ameritrade's trade resolution desk is there to attempt to cover up their faults not to truthfully watch out for your interests too. I have hired a lawyer to sue TD Ameritrade for misrepresentation and my case is strong because the broker's false statements were recorded. THUS, I will be getting back my money from TD Ameritrade. NEVER!!! Trust a TD Ameritrade broker. Listen to what they say, record it like I did and do your own due diligence. TD Ameritrade brokers are liars.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

TD Ameritrade used to be the best of the best in customer service then they were bought out by Charles Swaab. Swaab is the worst company, worst service. So now td has gone downhill after this buy out. I noticed the service has gotten progressively worse over time. Nothing like how it was. The agents were rude and unhelpful. I could not stand it. Finally I left. I'm so sad over this change in the company. It's so hard to find good customer service now anywhere. All these buy outs and the service has gone downhill.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have tried to open an account and was told that they "made a business decision to deny opening an account". That’s it. No reason, no explanation- I am completely shocked. I have good credit, no problems that I know of and suddenly I find out that the company does not want my money for no reason whatsoever... If there is a denial that should have been a reason provided for it - I would like to know if there is something going on that I don’t know about..

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

For two weeks I have no access to my portfolio and they blamed it on Merrill for not exporting my data to them. This is a lie because this time, Merrill closed my account The next day after I send transfer request to Fidelity. Their position page is a mess that you can barely view of the companies nor you can manage anything there. Their order trade page Is designed so poorly when I called in one broker asked me to do a quick trade but that easily caused me a loss because the buy and sell It’s not easy to maneuver there.

This comes from a veteran from the Industry. I had to leave them within a month but when I asked them to close my account they didn’t my account stayed open and order with traded because they were too slow to transfer back to Merrill. And he refused to reverse and give those trays back to me. The guy who finally took my call was in private client services who barked at me like I’m a homeless person. They lied again saying it was Merrill‘s problem that transfer was slow that I should have canceled all my orders.

I have never experienced anything like this every time you close an account your account should be frozen. There Were call records the broker did not freeze my account. I called the same day when Merrill try to transfer over. They were unprofessional dishonest the whole platform is chaotic both at the cost center and at the branch everybody lies. The flatten my head in position with all my knowledge and I had to get it back after they listened to the call records. This is a shop you don’t want to deal with!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Needed to move all the money from the account for some investment consolidation I was doing. Came back a month later to add money back into the account and couldn't log in. Customer service rep informed me that as soon as I transferred everything out of the account it was closed. Period, end of story. No notification - nothing. You would think that they would at least give you a grace period and send a nice letter asking if you wanted to keep the account open. But nope, they really don't give a rat's behind about you once you take your money out - even if it's only temporary. But then, how could they know that if they don't ask. Too many other GOOD brokerage firms out there to worry too much about it. But warning to others - they only care about your money - once they get the slightest inkling that you're moving out they shut you down. Bye Bye TD.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

They have great customer service and their fees are extremely fair. I haven't had any issues with them and I've been with them for more than a decade. They've always been helpful when I had questions or problems. I would recommend anyone to try them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

They will rob you of or account with their high fees. And when you are not satisfied with their services and want to leave they will charge you extremely high fees to leave. It's like an abusive relationship. You are treated like a cash cow they can drain while you are there and then hurt when you try to leave.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I have been with TDAMERITRADE for over 25 years and I love it. The website is user friendly. The support is always immediate no matter how they are contacted. The agents are knowledgeable and friendly. The trades could not possibly go more smoothly. I have recommended them to many people over the years who also love it. My sister loves the educational materials they offer. She is excited to learn about options. It is exciting to share investment strategies with each other and our children. If there is a better company, I have not found it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I use TD Ameritrade in two ways. I have one account that is managed by them and one account that is managed by me. I find them very easy to work with. Quick response to any issues I run into. Overall a good trading experience.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Overall, this trading platform meets expectations. The online version is intuitive, easy to use, and provides plenty of research material for us to make informed investments. The platform also allows for a certain level of customization so we can see what is important to us. Where the company can improve is its mobile app - I've noticed that the prices are often out of date and therefore provides inaccurate data.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

TD Ameritrade decided to close my account and will not refund the money in my account. They say I have to provide a second address in order to write me a check. The address I have on file has been the one on file since I open the account. They are stealing my money, and after speaking to a supervisor they hung up on me.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We originally went with this Broker b/c we were told we could access the data feed through our charting platform. After we made the change and got set up, we were told it did not accommodate certain assets. This was upsetting b/c we now have to pay an additional 100 dollars a month for their failure to be specific.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I had a decent experience using TD after switching from Vanguard for a couple months. It had the majority of the features I was looking for except for a graph to track gain over time (Which seems like a pretty primitive and obvious feature to have on any given brokerage.) I wasn't too keen on the occasional $1-$4 fees I was being charged for foreign dividends, but then they hit my account with a $38 fee... FOR A REVERSE SPLIT? To be fair, this is not a ridiculous amount to be charged but I have never experienced such a steep fee (to be honest, I had never received a fee for a reverse split in the YEARS I have been using Vanguard), but it was on a position I only had $800 in. A 5% fee for a reverse split... Really?!?

Honestly, I would have stuck with Vanguard if I knew they rob clients like this despite the lack of utility Vanguard has for shorter-term trades. I immediately took the $100 fee and transferred my account to Fidelity, so hopefully the waters are greener here. As an experienced investor, I would not recommend setting up a brokerage with these thieves! They will slowly drain your account with random fees that I have never encountered on any of the other 3 brokerages I have used in the past and currently. If you use their service, better pray that no splits/reverse splits happen within your positions, or they're gonna slam you. In summary, regarding my short-lived TD Ameritrade experience (keep in mind I have only been with them a handful of months), I would describe my experience as being... disappointing.

Original review: July 13, 2021

My experience with TD has been pretty awful over the last couple years. I'm writing today because for the 3rd time in the last 5 trading days I've had chart issues. I have "re-set" the charts to default 2x and still experience the same issues. Again today, I have the same issue. Seems "No one else is having these issues" is a constant refrain from "technical" support and their best---or easiest for them---solution is RESET TO DEFAULT. I say Re-Set your account elsewhere!

Original review: June 27, 2021

I opened an account with TD Ameritrade to test out their stock exchange. I deposited funds so I could see how entering orders and such worked. I decided I didn't like the way they had things setup so I did what was necessary to withdraw my funds, but TD Ameritrade immediately canceled my withdraw and closed my account. I was never notified about any actions or reasons why, matter of fact I never heard from them at all and it's been many months now. I tried to log in to my account one day and it was telling me my account didn't exist. I tried calling customer service many times, but every time there was at least a 2 hour waiting time and I don't have that kind of time to wait. I tried to email their customer service, but they refused to help through email or call me back (as requested).

I finally reported them to the SEC and they got a response back from someone, along with a phone number, but when I tried to call the person who responded they will not answer the phone. I even tried to get my bank to reverse the withdraw, but they refused (Wells Fargo); so I am in the process of closing all my Wells Fargo accounts because of this too, because I don't trust them anymore. Overall, I would caution everyone. If you have the same experience I have had, your funds will be trapped and no one will help you retrieve them. Read reviews and please consider another exchange.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I signed up for TD Ameritrade and quickly felt the platform was not easy to navigate perform actions quickly. When I wanted to perform quick trades, I would lose out because of the way they design their platform. I have other brokers whose websites and apps make trading action very smooth and quick, but I don’t find this is the case with TD Ameritrade. Therefore I used my account for few small trades, not much volume on my part, but always in an active trade. Then one day, I went in to see my P/L and couldn’t get into my account. After struggling with the login resets I finally called them. One thing I can say is they do have customer service, unlike some other brokers.

The representative said they closed my account due to fraud and asked how I wanted my trade closed and my funds dispersed. I was in shock! I never use my account except on my personal phone. She refused to give me any further details. At the time I was trading AMC during the “pending squeeze”. I thought “how convenient that they closed me out of their service during this time??”. Either way, I was in disbelief and simply went on my way. I will never use their services again. Their actions were unwarranted and very suspicious. I am a professional engineer and take trading seriously. I would advise anyone against using TD Ameritrade and seek better alternatives. Anytime I share brokers with newbies, I never recommend TD Ameritrade.

Original review: May 10, 2021

I have been with this company for many years, and never had a problem. Now all of a sudden they closed my account - just closed it - without rhyme or reason. There was no notice! I called to find out and the person could only say it was for business reasons. Would you trust your money to a company that treated you this way?

Original review: May 6, 2021

I've had two accounts here for 10+ years and have been pretty happy with TD Ameritrade until recently. In trying to open a new retirement account online, I have found the process to be a needlessly complex and bureaucratic nightmare. (For some perspective, I am a 30 year old engineer who grew up in Silicon Valley and consider myself to have a good degree of digital and financial literacy.) From submitting the forms (the signature pages can't be scanned in separately at the end, the entire PDF needs to be scanned in together - why???), to trying to talk to someone who knows anything about the byzantine requirements of the specific forms (was told "that's not my area of expertise, I don't know" and transferred endlessly), it's been highly frustrating and at this point it's likely easier to just open the account elsewhere. Do not recommend.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Very rude customer service and when I asked him to refund my balance and close my account he hung up on me. Will not do business with a company like this. I guess when you're a multi-billion dollar company you can get away with treating customers like this.

Original review: April 17, 2021

I bought the stocks through TD Ameritrade, but the TD Ameritrade raised my stocks price 3 times, so I lost a lot of money. Don't use the TD Ameritrade. When I use the Robinhood, it never happen. The TD Ameritrade raised each stock price, getting the fee and customer's money.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I am new to trading and moved over from just saving in Acorns and a savings account to investing in safer stocks in the Dow Jones. I am taking a class about covered calls and volatility trading but am super new to the whole idea. I love that I can get on the phone and chat through any question big or small and the TD team will always spend time explaining things and even make suggestions and teach me new methods of trading.

I’ve never had a customer service experience quite like this, where I genuinely feel like the person on the end is there to not just problem solve with me, but go above and beyond and just chat. It feels like real support. Instead of answering my question and saying “is there anything else I can help you with” they answer and then having heard what I said make really smart follow up recommendations for things I can learn on the TD education videos, or literally to talk me through how I could optimize my trade next time with actual examples in my portfolio.

Best experience I’ve ever had with any company. I still don’t really understand how they can do this in a day and age where companies seem like they’re trying to enhance speed and reduce call times. It’s like I have a whole squad of people there to help me and I never wait on hold for longer than 2 minutes. Literally incredible. My husband switched from Robinhood because they really offer no help or support and recently with GameStop showed us that they don’t really care about their customers. TD Ameritrade for the win!

Original review: March 24, 2021

I have been trading on the TD Ameritrade platform for years trusting that their stock quotes were truly real time and accurate market prices. However, I recently started using a secondary trading platform just to try it out and realized that the stock prices reported by TD Ameritrade were a cent or two off the real market price. For instance, if I'm a selling a stock for $2.45 they won't execute my order until it is actually $2.46 on the competitive platform. Hence, TDA makes $0.01 off of every stock share I sell. After informing them about this discrepancy between the stock quotes on their platform and the actual market's stock prices, they claimed that they would report this problem to their "software vendor"! Software vendor? Really?? The only explanation for this is one of two things: (1) cheating or (2) faulty trading platform. Either way, this is a huge problem considering that TDA is one of the major trading platforms in the USA!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I tried to purchase a small amount of one hundred into some shares. The deposit took a week to finalize... Lag-athon... Then I tried to purchase and only half of my orders were filled. With only 47$ of my money used. I tried to use the rest and invest again on what I did as it was on a lock... Lo and behold... Their awkward commentary kept me from bidding on shares that blew up and this company kept me from my hard earned cash to be invested. So, now I'm stuck on stupid waiting an hour and a half, probably due to every client is fed up and over his ancient archival relic of an investor... Get to par with the times or drop out of the race guys... and hurry up and refund my cash...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I liked TD Ameritrade until they doubled my trade. I bought 2000 shares of a security, sold it a few minutes later after reaping profits (and the price had just started dropping), and a minute later (unbeknownst to me) they submitted a duplicate buy order. I noticed that my day gain, which WAS green, was rapidly becoming very red. I quickly looked at my open positions and realized that I somehow had 2000 shares remaining. "WTF?! I only bought 2000, which I just sold!" To stop the hemorrhage, I hastily sold these remaining shares, at a $2500 loss, and looked at my transaction history. I then discovered what happened. I called them and, after 90 minutes on hold, I spent another hour trying to get them to fix THEIR screwup, but they refused to admit fault. When I politely told the supervisor that this was unacceptable and that I will find a different broker, he hung up on me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Investors beware. TD Ameritrade sold my stock without my knowledge. I was sound asleep on the coach and woke up to find my stock had been sold. I called TD Ameritrade and waited over an hour for customer service to answer the phone, I explained what happened and they said I made the trade on Think or Swim. I told them I was sleeping and never used Think or Swim to buy or sell stock not ever. They told me they couldn't help me. What a bunch of crooks.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I invested 300K, every penny I had with TD Ameritrade to day trade, as soon as I did this they offered me an extra $300K to trade with making it 600K...they proceeded in manipulating every trade I made, whether a buy or sell. They would never trade at the market price and sometimes not close to the market price by the time they made the trade...they knew It was my first time day trading and they coaxed me into trading more by giving me $300K extra, knowing that would only speed up the time in which I would lose my money....they are predators...just looking to empty one client's account to another to go on to the next poor investor to take advantage of....they should be ashamed of themselves as they have destroyed a man's life by never giving him a fair chance to make a living.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Very poor customers service. TD Ameritrade website says will give bonus for both new customers and referee. It's a lie, they didn't give bonus to us. Even I contacted customer service, they even made another lie again. Saying they would give back the 50$ bonus to me. Had me waited even longer time. Still no bonus come as they promised. The customer rep Phillip ** is even has very bad attitude to customers, putting TD's fault to customers. This is my first impression to TD. No credit and lying. I spent so much time talking to the customer service. Problems are still not solved. If you haven't opened TD Ameritrade account, please DO NOT OPEN, don't waste time like me. I am going to close the account.

TD Ameritrade Company Information