TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

TD Ameritrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: May 18, 2020

One has to be very careful when their parents get older- they become targets to extract money from- and unfortunately TD Ameritrade was the worst predator when it came time to try to steal money/business from my 90 year old father. Ian ** somehow found it ethical to get a 91 year old to sign over, transfer all his money, from 50 years at one brokerage to TD Ameritrade as the last actions he took in his long, distinguished life. He wouldn't allow the kids to talk to him, claimed we were actually a big course of "elder abuse", rather than him being the evil one. He tried selling him all these products, management fees, would sneak into his house to get things out of him when he knew no one was home. Do not ever let this guy Ian ** or TD Ameritrade for that matter to talk to anyone in your family, least of all someone elderly. He is predatory, shameless, dishonest, and should frankly get sent to prison.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Constant threats from a non-English speaking manager. Stop hiring non-English speaking Asians as managers at your office. It probably cost you less to hire these kind of non-English speaking people but it doesn’t serve the purpose, It doesn’t help. Waste of money and time on the phone for 45 mins. I am closing my account.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Unable to trade on account. Online help for this service is not available, asked to call. Call number and on hold for hours over several days. Trade days are passing and cannot get this resolved. COVID 19 is not an excuse for this poor service!

Original review: April 18, 2020

I am 100% sure of my security questions, some of them are pretty simple and yet Ameritrade appears to not even be processing it. The page just refreshes as if it failed to see what was inside of the textbox. No error message, except for "THIS FIELD CANNOT BE EMPTY." Like dude, I filled the damn textbox in, and I even got it right, why are you doing this?? What a load of garbage, I will be withdrawing EVERYTHING out.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I have been one of TD largest clients for a few years and I've noticed over the last 2-3 months their platform is so overwhelmed. My orders will disappear into the ether, often for 30-60 seconds only to suddenly re-appear and execute. I say disappear because when you enter the order it doesn't show up anywhere not in the open trades area and not in the executed trades area. You don't even know if they received the order at all. So you're stuck in limbo. This has caused a myriad of issues including having the same order execute twice. Also I noticed there are many times of the day that the real time quotes are not real time causing clients to enter incorrect limit prices.

The worst part is they are dishonest about it. They try to blame the client's network connections. I have heard from several TD Ameritrade clients in the last 2 weeks and ALL of them are experiencing the same issues. Now I learned they secretly sell their clients real time trade data to hedge funds, I believe allowing the hedge funds' computers to literally trade against their clients' orders (in real-time) often leading to a worse fill price. Ask them about it, they admit it to some extent, but the minute you probe deeper they become very evasive. I'm moving my account. I feel robbed by them.

Original review: April 16, 2020

Bad customer service, Bad communication, overall really bad. First time try to trade with them, they locked my account with notice anything. When called them they said yes they locked it and they will call me. Waited almost 2 weeks no call from them. I ordered 1 option contract total $310 and now it went up to almost $1800. They sent me email telling me my option will expire soon, when they dont let me login to close my position. What a joke with this "TD AMERITRADE". Bad broker online broker ever. Disappointed.

Original review: April 15, 2020

TD Ameritrade lists 3 ways to withdraw money. (1) Transfer money to your bank (ACH), (2) Wire transfer, (3) Check withdrawal. I made 2 deposits totaling $25,200. They accepted my money without any issues. After depositing my money, while I am in good health, I wanted to verify that I could quickly withdraw my money so I requested check withdrawal and received the following email: “We are sorry, but we are unable to process your request to check in the amount of $100.00 at this time for your account ending in ** because Funds must return to account of origin.”

That violates their only police of Check withdrawal. At this time, I am in good health, so one way or another, I am certain I will be able to get my money. However, if I become ill or die, I want a family member to log into my account and quickly withdraw my money in accordance with instructions without going through probate. In all other areas, TD Ameritrade is satisfactory. I like their trading tool, “ThinkOrSwim”, and customer service is helpful and polite. However, because of the money issue, I am transferring my account to another broker.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I have been trying for MONTHS to get a small IRA rolled into my current 401K plan. I have talked to around 8 different agents, made numerous phone calls, sent numerous e-mails, attempted to communicate and upload documentation through their website, as instructed and have wasted countless hours and suffered great aggravation. This company is a joke, but not a funny one. If you are considering entrusting your money to them, reconsider. I was only dealing with about $2300 and they could not properly handle a simple request. If you have substantial funds to invest, look for more reputable, trustworthy company. I am on hold right now AGAIN waiting to see what the hold up is. I have been truly disgusted with the whole process. If I offered the same level of service to my customers, I would be applying for unemployment.

Original review: April 5, 2020

On 4/5/20 I was chatting with a customer representative about my account in Ameritrade (the app). He was very rude saying: why if $16 is hurting me a month? Really bad customer service. There's nothing this company can do for you in this bad times, they still charging interest, etc,etc. I was waiting to talk to a manager. He never transferred me. He just closed that chat, very rude customer service.

Original review: April 3, 2020

TD Ameritrade is a dishonest brokerage. Years ago they wouldn't process a trade for me after I placed it, and I lost almost my entire portfolio as a result. I couldn't even cancel the trade. I am aware of them quite frequently putting arbitrary restrictions on accounts just as you are going to make a trade -- preventing you from making it at all. They have done this too many times, and cost me thousands. I would say that TD Ameritrade is the most dishonest, worst brokerage, that exists.

TD Ameritrade Company Information