Visionworks

Compare Eyeglasses Online

Research top Eyeglasses Online recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Do yourself a favor don't go there. The service sucks. It's been 12 days I'm still waiting for my glasses. Called yesterday I was told they are finishing them up. That's a lie. They send the glasses out to be make. $648 for 1 pair of glasses. Then I find out a few days later this company is in the top 3 worst places to get glasses. I looked up to see if the glasses are made on site. Instead I get 344 reasons not to buy glasses at vision care.

Vision Works Clifton Park Customer Service is Terrible. They kept me waiting for 20-25 minutes when I went to pick my glasses. Even though there are many opticians in the store, the ones who were serving were only two. Out of the two, one was talking with a customer about all the restaurants in town, describing each of the menu items she has tried, describing her grandmother etc, etc. The other optician was filling in paperwork in the computer. Why would this be more important than attending to a customer who is waiting? Her name I believe was Ally. Don't know the name of the one talking about food.

I work for a big company and I will send out a mass mailing to ones in my office describing this store and asking them to seriously consider another place. The only positive thing is that the Doctor ** who does the eye exam is very good. The manager of the store needs to replace his opticians with customer oriented ones. Will call him next week. The optician spent less than 2 minutes with me and was rude (with a smile!!).

I've been going to Empire Vision for years due to our eye care plan at work. Empire was purchased by Davis (I believe) and now goes by Visionworks. I've always had very favorable experience when dealing with the Optometrist, who has been there for years, so my complaint isn't about him or the quality of service, which has always been excellent. My complaint is with their pricing policy. I keep the most recent pair of glasses as a back up, and the older pair, no more than 2 years old, I donate to them for the Lions Club. This year I wanted to purchase sunglasses in addition to the ones I get free with my vision care plan. They still carry the old frame, which I happen to like, and I asked to use them for my new sunglasses, to save money. The young lady priced it out for me, and I was told without hesitation that it would cost me more to use my current frame than it would if I purchased a new frame, which I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

I will never return to this store. Pay insurance for the frame of my glasses for a year, when I suffered that damage, I want to charge an additional, which in general terms it is cheaper to buy a new frame in another store, so the insurance is Practically pay for nothing. I do not recommend you go there.

Employees at Vision Works, Route 31, Liverpool, New York, do not know what Customer Service is!! We were greeted upon arrival but the niceties ended there. With my husband's help I picked out frames for eyeglasses and sunglasses. At no time was I approached by an employee to see if I needed assistance but they did seem concerned I didn't have a vision card for them to photocopy. I added my name to a waiting list and approximately 20 minutes later my name was called. The Licensed Optician seemed to be in a hurry from the moment she sat down (new computer system, Saturdays are always busy, etc.). I asked if she could price all frames/lenses for me, which she did. While entering the information in the computer I asked "If I don't make a selection today, will the information be in the computer when I come back in?" Optician told me "No. If you don't order today, all the information needs to be deleted".

She gave me the pricing for frames/lenses but did not bother to explain what costs the insurance was covering. Feeling uncomfortable and getting upset about the way I was being treated, I then said "Thank you for the information, I'll come back at a later time". The Optician got up, slammed my patient record on the front counter and said "Please erase all the information on this person". She came back, pushed her chair in and gave us a clipped "Goodbye" and on to the next person. We decided to stopped at LensCrafters (not a network provider) and was waited on by true professionals. Greeted immediately upon entering the store, they helped me pick out new frames, explained the different lenses available, etc. I ordered new glasses and sunglasses and couldn't be happier. LensCrafters' Customer Service is Top-Notch. Vision Works employees, especially this store, have no clue what Customer Service is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visionworks?

The eye dr was great. I was asked if I wanted my prescription all over or in one spot by the sales rep. I got my glasses and noticed the ground was slanted etc. I have astigmatism but was told I just needed to get used to them. I called to get a paper signed for DMV and Reisterstown said they don't do that. I called the one in Catonsville and hopefully I can get the form. I was told that was common. Reisterstown needs to be trained on what they sell and learn not to raise their voices to patrons.

Throughout all the years of being a client at Visionworks they never cease to amaze me at how extremely unprofessional they are. I need to begin looking elsewhere for my eyecare because this is ridiculous. I don't know if all Visionwork locations are the same, but the one on Rt. 46 West Totowa, NJ, needs to really improve their customer service. I will begin with my most recent experience. I called and asked them if they could please send me my prescription through mail because I really want to buy my glasses elsewhere instead of dealing with them. I asked them on January 6, it's January 18 and I still haven't received anything despite me calling them six times to please send me the prescription. All the workers tell me the same story, "I will put it in the mail right now".

Yesterday I finally complained to the manager and he also said the same thing. I hope that at least the manager follows through. Another experience I had with Visionworks happened 6 months ago. I called to ask them for a specific frame and they put me on hold. I waited 30 minutes until they just hung up the phone. I called again, and again they put me on hold. The same thing happened, 30 minutes passes and the phone just went dead. My third call, I was a bit angry as I should be, because who wouldn't get mad at waiting an hour just to get some service and simply not getting it. At the third call the lady worker hung up in the middle of me complaining. At this point I was furious and I called three more times and they would not pick up the phone.

I couldn't believe a business could do this to their customers. It was unbelievable. I went to the location to complain about what happened and they all seemed to not care. Other experiences deal with promotions. The Visionworks' promotions always have a catch to them and they are very misleading such as "Buy one pair, get the second one half off". They are only referring to the frames not the lenses and they tell you this when you finally find a pair of glasses you like. I'm going to check if my insurance covers my eyecare elsewhere. They simply are horrendous at customer service.

Visionworks has excellent quality and selection, and gives a great value for contacts and glasses! They respect your appointment time so you are not just sitting around. Their employees and doctors are well informed and friendly.

Not the least bit impressed and will likely never return. I was greeted by a harried and stressed AMY who briskly handed me forms and told me which chair to sit in to complete them. No restroom - "out of order" AMY says. Eye exam by Dr. with probably 100 years of experience - OK. I had to wait 45 minutes after exam to get price of glasses. Here is where it got interesting and the sales pitch started. Buy 1 get one free. If I use my insurance 2 pairs for 957.00, If I take their promotion 850.00. I advised them I only wanted 1 pair. They push 2 pair. "My last glasses cost me 295.00 how much will 1 pair cost me this time?" I ask. 1 Pair 587.00 - and they repeat "much better deal to get 2 at 850.00. I don't need 2 pair. Why 587.00 when last pair 2 years ago cost 295.00? "You used a coupon" was the answer. Took my prescription and went to another store and purchased same frame and glasses for 259.00.

I love this place. Easy access, great hours of service. The price of their glasses is very good and the quality is great. You will find what you want with their selection and their delivery is on time. They take care of you every time you have a need. They work with you to make sure the glasses fit properly.

I am very happy with the quality of my frame. I have had the same frames since 2010 and have held up wonderfully. If I have any adjustments I can go to any Vision Center and they will adjust my frames. That is a plus compared to an independent eyeglass doctor. But I paid a little more than what I expected from their advertisements. Also, the selection could have been better as you only get what they had on display. I suggest before you order to find out the cost.

My husband purchased glasses from Visionworks last December. In November a lens loosened and the frame needed a simple repair to secure the lens. We went back to the store and the woman working never got up from her chair and told us they only guaranteed their products for 30 days. She said we could go home and glue them! Will never darken their door again! Took the glasses to the optical store we have previously bought from. They not only repaired the glasses, they did not charge us.

I went to the Visionworks on Mayo in Scottsdale. The exam never got my prescription right, and the salesman was pushy and lied to me about prices. I am very easy to please, but he was impossible and rude. I had a "buy one, get one free" coupon, and he said that I had to spend $900 to get a second pair for free. I went to Costco instead, where the prices were realistic and the people were kind! I had to take another exam because the one from Visionworks had numbers they'd never seen before, but it was worth it.

The value of the glasses is poor and quality is just ok, but the overall selection was extensive. However, I waited for 2 hours to be fit. They were also overpriced and understaffed. The ophthalmologist was professional and felt he DID a good job as vision with my regular glasses for trifocals were well done but not so for my free sunglasses wherein the script was too strong.

Very happy with the Visionworks in my town. It is a great place to get good quality glasses and it's easy to get an appointment. Now I go there and it only takes about one week to get a new pair of glasses which is great. They always have a large number of glasses to pick from. Frames are very good and I have reused them a number of time over the years. You get what you pay for.

I always try to purchase during an ad sale and I try to stay with something similar to what I have. After I select what I think will work, they are careful to make sure the frame is the right size for my face and contours. Picked the glasses up in store and they have held up to mild abuse.

Visionworks has fine selection, great quality and very good value. When I got my glasses in store, they made sure the glasses fit comfortable and my vision was clear. They were concerned that I was completely happy with my new glasses. They had good, knowledgeable employees and there was great followup service. I would recommend them to all my friends, family and acquaintances.

Selection were pretty good but I feel like they could have a few more options. The glasses have very good quality, though. There were very few marks or scratches and I've had them for a year. The value is very good for the price, too. I received my glasses in store and it only took them an hour to get them done. The gentleman who did my adjustment was nice but the glasses still slid off of my face. I had to have my mother and grandmother fix them as they work in the same industry. Other than that, they're very knowledgeable.

I should have listened to the young lady who came out of the store stating the people inside there are very ignorant. I made an appointment for myself and my family. They had all old information from a previous job and old information for contact. We updated old insurance info and new contact info. I show up the next week for my appointment, saying to my son as we drove up, we are right on time. When I walked in the receptionist asked my name and after I gave her the information she immediately let me know that I had missed my appointment and the doctor will not see us now. I advised that I had not missed the appointment and told her the times which she let me know I was incorrect and she was very smug and cutting me off as I spoke to her. She said that we did not confirm her appointment and confidently went into her computer to tell me what the phone number was that she called.

I immediately let her know that I had not had that number in 2 years and she was calling the incorrect number. I let her know that I did not like how rude she was being as she never said sorry for the mistake, "let's work together to make this right". She let me know that she had other customers and that she did not have time for this. After trying to make another appointment, I asked when my husband's appointment was and she gave the wrong information for that one also. I told her I did not want to have an appointment made by her and I can't lie. I did curse because she made me upset and I did not come there to argue with her. Everything was unapologetic and rude. She told me I was banned from coming back there and she will send me a letter telling me so.

I left the store, got into my car and she had the nerve to come outside twice and yell at me some more, at the end telling me she will call 911. Mind you she is the one taking the time to come outside to yell at me while I had to roll down my window to hear what she said. I will NEVER go to this location again. She gave me her name and was pulling on her shirt to show me a name tag that was not even there. Most horrible experience ever.

Visionworks has a good selection of glasses. I went in the store for the buy one get one free special. But when I picked my glasses up, they are overpriced and no different than other places. When it came time to pay, my bill was over $600 for my first set of glasses and the frames were on clearance. I always bought my glasses from my eye doctor before and they were a lot less. I also had to go back several times before they were adjusted correctly - I couldn't read with them. Each person undid what the previous person did because it wasn't right (according to them).

They have a good quality frame for a reasonable price but lenses could improve. Also, takes at least a week for glasses to get delivered to the store. But they have plenty to choose from; staff gives good advice on what looks good on me. Had the new type of scratch-resistant coating; extra money for it. I didn't like the time it took to clean them; I used their glass cleaner. Lenses had scratches on them about 7-8 months after purchase; they replaced the lenses without problems with the old coating that I liked better in the past but they are already scratched up. Wonder if another place would have better quality lens coating.

I went to get glasses and they checked with the insurance company, then told me that for the pair of frames chosen, that the final cost, all inclusive was $260. I was there with my wife who heard the entire conversation. We agreed and scheduled the eye exam. The exam was fine (the optometrist was superb), and then it went downhill. They then told me that the cost was now over $100 more. I insisted that I was told by one of their staff the lower price. She found the paperwork and said, that yes, she quoted me that price, but now it was different (for the same frame and lenses). I asked why the change, and her response was that the staff member must have made a mistake. I paid for the eye exam and left. The store manager was rude and indifferent. Stay away from these people!!

I went there for the first time a month ago and I was there waiting for 3 hours!!! Then! I have to come back twice because the new system was not working!!!! They charge my insurance and I paid $50.00 copay and I am still doesn't have my glasses!! I saw 2 different doctors which one said my prescription was done incorrect!!!! Really!!! The employees don't have no idea about anything there!!! I spoke with my insurance to cancel everything.

Purchased Digital transition lenses. Lines started appearing in my lens so I took them back as it was, per Visionworks, a manufacturer defect in the lenses. Received my replacement and a couple months later, same thing. Well now I am over my warranty period by one month. Took my glasses back in and was told since my warranty was up I would have to purchase new lenses. After a little fuss I left my glasses with them for their manager to look at. I called about four business days later, as I had not received a callback. I was put on hold and after about fifteen minutes they hung up. I call right back and was hung up on again. I never raised my voice or expressed any frustration to this point.

Third call was told manager was out for that day and they have not had a chance to look at them. The next day I called back and was told the manager was out for lunch and they would call me back when she returned. NOTHING!! Called the next day, manager was out for the day. Called the next day and was told the manager was on vacation for the week. I demanded resolution and was told since my warranty had expired I would have to buy new lenses. In my opinion, they are knowingly selling lenses with known defects. Keep in mind these are $700.00 lenses!!

Visionworks at Westminster at Townmall has lost me and my family as customers. We were customers since 2014. We went yesterday afternoon to this place to buy a pair of glasses to my son (he also wears contacts for the same place). His appointment with the doctor was scheduled at 6:30pm. One hour later, still there, still waiting for the doctor. I dared to ask the store manager what's happening and his rude response was, "I don't know, this is a separate doctor's business, better no ask." Can you imagine? The doctor in the same store and it is not his business. Amazing. Then went to ask the doctor what's going on and ask for an estimate for how long do we have to wait (with two kids at 7:30pm, no dinner etc).

Her response was the same, "I don't know, wait until we will be calling you." Nice. Completely unsatisfied with the responses and treat, I have asked for the copay that I have paid at the very beginning and said to the store manager that it was enough and tired of the unprofessional treat/car. He said in a rude way that if I don't like it, there is the door to leave. If this would be my business, I would have been fired him immediately. So, I would not recommend this place to anybody. Thanks for reading me.

Carolina Place Mall store called and was told they could do same day service. Went very next morning, drove 1/2 hour, only to be told I could have glasses in week. A problem with a machine. Told to go to another mall, not acceptable. Needed sunglasses ASAP. REALLY BAD EXPERIENCE.

Recently been for eye check up. Worst employee ever. Attitude issues, lack of knowledge. It's my first check up so was not aware of it so repeatedly asked them about the cost. They provided one information before check up then another. Total fraud. False scheme. Advertise one thing and inside it's another. Although Doctor was kind the lady working on front desk was worst ever met.

I just ordered my seventh pair of glasses from Visionworks. I live many miles from your store. However, on my first visit, seven years ago, I met Ruby at the Jacksonville, FL Regency store. I was so impressed with her, that I kept on coming back. She is a great customer representative who also knows her job. She explains things clearly and sells new stuff (like thindex - which I purchased). The first thing that I ask when I call, "is Ruby there?" As long as she is, I'll keep coming back! By the way, Dr. ** is great also.

On Nov 17 we ordered glasses from there so I called to see if glasses were ready... she put me on hold which was fine, then we were disconnected so I called back. I got this rude girl. I told her we were disconnected. I was calling about glasses. She quickly tells me "We are busy. You called at the wrong time." I could not believe how rude she was and then she told me my daughter glasses won't be ready until Nov 5, it takes 3 weeks for glasses to be ready. Never again will I go to Visionworks. Very bad experience.

Went to the Arnold MO store in August 2016. Ordered regular glasses with progressive lenses and a pair of sunglasses because of the BOGO offer. I had never been to Visionworks prior to this visit. No problems with the eye exam or picking out frames. Called and told my glasses were ready. When I put on the regular glasses, I had an immediate headache and my left eye felt like it was being pulled to the right. I took off the glasses and said something is wrong with the left lens. I was given a 15 minute lecture about not looking through just one eye when checking glasses. I was told to wait until the next morning, put them on, and wear them as long as possible. I was told to wear them for a couple of weeks to get used to them. I have had glasses with progressive lenses for over 10 years. The very first pair of progressive lenses I got only took a day to get used to. I also told this to the associate who then repeated that I should give them a couple weeks.

I was unable to wear them after trying for a week. I returned and the same associate again tried to tell me to give them more time. A different associate asked to see the glasses. He asked me to put them on and close my right eye. I told him I already got the lecture about not just looking through one eye. He asked if I could return the next day and see the doctor. A different doctor would be there. The second doctor said she saw almost the same prescription for my right eye but "tweaked it". She also said she saw no astigmatism in my left eye so that prescription was completely different. When the glasses came in again, I was immediately able to clearly see and had no headache. The sunglasses also had to be redone. When those came in, the associate had a difficult time getting "the dots" off the lenses. She asked the original associate I had seen if the solution she was using was the right one to get the dots off.

The original associate told her to go talk to the guy that works on lenses because he will be able to tell her what to use. I did tell this associate that this was my first visit to Visionworks and it would be my last. I drove 45 minutes one way to get to this store and had to make too many visits to get glasses with the correct prescription. I wish I had read reviews prior to my first visit. I went to Visionworks after my insurance rep suggesting I check with them to get another quote for prices to compare to Walmart prices that I had already checked. Visionworks was less expensive but it wasn't worth the aggravation and numerous trips to the store.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As an industry leader in eye care services and eye wear products, Visionworks has more than 650 stores in 41 different states, including the District of Columbia.

• Frame finder: The Frame Finder lets shoppers try out different frames on their own face, through the Internet. Consumers can upload a picture and start trying on frames.
  • Complete kids line: Get kids glasses that are durable and designed to stand up to the activity of sports.
  • Contact lenses: Buy contact lenses that correct for single vision, bifocal or astigmatism.
  • Safety gear: Never wear a pair of goggles over glasses while in a work setting again with prescription safety gear.
  • Stock up on accessories: Never leave the store without a cleaning kit, case and any other favorite accessories for glasses.
  • Best for Kids, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Compare Eyeglasses Online