2.38/5

419 Visionworks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

LASHONDA did amazing using our insurance and knowledge in getting us the best options for what we could afford for myself, my husband and my son!!!! Both doctors were awesome. They took time with me especially because my vision is so bad. The first doctor took my prescription and when I came to get fitted for my contacts and the other doctor I had not seen made sure they were the perfect fit and not too strong! I would definitely go back because of all of you. Thank you for making the experience great and affordable!!!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Went to Visionworks in Boston on State street for first time last year. Everyone was so nice. The doctor knew I got migraines so put sunglasses on my prescription. Because I should be wearing bifocals but have vertigo so I can't. I got to pick out 2 beautiful pairs one for reading the other for distance. I was able to get transitional lenses for my sunglass pair. I have had no problems with them and will be back in a year for another 2 pairs which my insurance covers totally. Thank you for a great experience.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was in desperate need of glasses as my son broke my only pair. I was also a little low on cash and had not used my Vision benefits so I was under the impression I would pay hundreds out of pocket (even with insurance). I was DEAD WRONG. Visionworks (Tempe Marketplace) location really ROCKS. The girls were so helpful and friendly, especially Judie **. She was so polite and made me feel comfortable about choosing glasses that fit my needs and budget. I walked out paying less than $35 for the entire visit and not to mention, my designer Bebe glasses will be ready in 2 days. Thanks for everything Visionworks, you really made my day. P.S. I referred one of my co-workers to you so she will be coming in for her set of eyes. :)

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I purchased a pair of glasses and was not happy with them. Didn’t like look or fit or lenses that were in them. I returned to Saratoga Springs location in NY and the sales rep was very helpful and understanding of my situation. She helped me pick a new frame that fit my face and looked great. Also corrected the type of lenses I wanted originally. This employee went above and beyond to make sure I was a satisfied customer. I believe her first name was Mary Beth. Thanks again for great customer service and helping correct the issue.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Empire Vision Works 1150 Niagra Falls Blvd. Tonawanda, NY 14150 - 6/29/18 entered above-named store. Greeted immediately by **. Pleasant, friendly, extremely professional. I asked ** to look over my frames that I had picked up on 6/25/18 from another Empire Vision Works location. I felt they were took tight, hurting my left ear & left nare region & seemed crooked. She listened to my concerns. Corrected the issues. I am now pain-free & can see correctly, ** is the best in my book. ** keep up the great work & don't ever change!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visionworks?

Original review: May 22, 2019

They own up to their bad reviews. They open at 9am and you may have an appointment at 9am but you won’t be seen till 10am. If you haven’t done paperwork then 10:30am and that's assuming the receptionist didn’t forget to file your paperwork. So if you come here and have time to waste then this place is perfect for you. But if you are on a time limit it's best you look elsewhere.

Original review: May 17, 2019

When my sunglasses came in you could clearly see where the lens was cut to fit the frame. It looked almost like there was a space between the lens and frame. I was told it was just residue from the cutting. She popped it out, cleaned it and put it back - it didn't look any different! I told her this was unacceptable as I paid a lot of money and was unhappy with the way it looked. She asked me to leave them and her manager would look at them the next day and call. Well three days went by and no one called me. I went in and a different woman at the counter did the exact same thing as the first. I was so disgusted as the result was the same, but I just took them and vowed to never come back need.

Two days after having the frames, one of the arms was so loose it just flipped up and down on its own!!! My daughter brought them in and had them tightened (she said it was the "best" she could do). By the end of the next day the arm was "flipping" again. Well I am past my 30 days to have them returned so not sure how I will deal with this; possibly request a new screw. I can only imagine the outcome!

Also, my daughter went in for an eye exam as she was having difficulty driving at night. They gave her a very "slight" prescription with anti-glare treatment. She got her glasses and the first time she drove with them, she couldn't read the road signs!!! In our minds, she was given a prescription to boost your sales!! She should have just bought herself of lenses with anti-glare in any store!!! Needless to say, they got her new lenses (no script on them) with anti-glare treatment. She wasn't reimbursed for the cost of script nor did she receive any kind of discount for the inconvenience, as it is perfectly clear she DID NOT need a prescription! !

I have been wearing prescription (regular and sunglasses) for years and you can count on never seeing me in one of your stores again; nor will I recommend you to anyone.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I got a pair of prescription sunglasses there. Purchased on 4/25. Got them today 5/14. It took almost three weeks! The woman who helped me was not weird and not pleasant! She didn't smile once both times I was there, order and pick up. Never say "thank you" for my business either. I got eyeglasses from them before. The person who helped me before was better.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I ordered two pair of eyeglasses from Visionworks and that started the nightmare. Following an 8 day wait, I went to pick up my new eyeglasses. The employee would not give me the eyeglasses I paid $450 for. She said the doctor wasn't in. What? I didn't use their doctor. Didn't matter. After a call to the home office I received my eyeglasses. The employee was so mad she refused to adjust the glasses. Went to my eye doctor's office and had them adjusted. That's when I found that the progression was wrong. Took the eyeglasses back to Visionworks. After being yelled at and called names by the manager, I got a refund. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I went to Visionworks in Medford NY, for progressive glasses, and was met by rude and unprofessional sales people. It took 2 weeks to get the glasses. Second, the glasses I got from them are absolutely horrible, and you’re lucky if you can see out of them. The glasses here are junk, and your vision will be distorted by cheap glasses. They are dangerous to wear. You will fall while walking, they are that bad. Do not trust this place at all. I am warning everyone that shops here. This place is the pits. Do not buy progressive glasses from them. They do not work correctly.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Such a dishonest store. They say they take your insurance then you call your insurance and they tell me I'm 100% covered, then Visionworks says "the doctor only takes part of your insurance but it won't cover much", so I know she's lying. Then the lady next to me calls her insurance company to see if they charged them, well guess what? Not only did she collect 90 dollars from the woman she also charged her insurance company for the same test 90 dollars. Guess what Visionworks? You've been reported for fraud. And I'm going viral just to see how others were cheated.

That 90 dollars worth of fraud will be the death of you Dr. **, because yes, your employee said you were the one responsible for the fraud. You can't take an insurance then try to pick and choose what part you don't like and make people pay for the part you don't like. THAT'S FRAUD TOO! People who pay cash or have extraordinary insurance get proper care, I know because I paid over 1000 to them for my daughters eye exams glasses and contact exam, trial contacts. He was just so nice when I was spending cash.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Visionworks doesn’t only take the time to ensure you look great in your new eyeglasses, they ensure you can see perfectly AND that your eyes are healthy. McHenry IL location has the latest equipment and reviewed in detail my eye health - important to me as we have glaucoma and cataract disease in my family history. Excellent staff too!!

Original review: March 31, 2019

After last Saturday coming in finding out I had a eye infection I took the prescribed medication. Came back in to actually find glasses and couldn’t be happier. Not only did I find amazing frames. After picking the perfect frames Henri and Nefty where absolutely great. He got my lenses done in 20 mins. I couldn’t be happier. Brianna was very nice and helpful when I first walked in as well. Great place!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Selected frame was told cannot be used, no explanation, after 8 weeks, no one calls unless I call. Finally got glasses. Went back to adjust. The person who adjusted the glasses burnt the glasses. They used the old prescription instead of the most recent one. Still waiting for replacement after 3 months. Never had such experience in more than 20 years. They forgot to add transition option. Should get money back or second pair for all the trouble gone through. Never had such experience. Only one or two people are friendly.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had just left my eye doctor and I went into Visionworks #550 on 1/9/19. Just to waste time while I'm waiting on someone in another store. The sales lady saw me looking and as to help signed in and she helped me. I'm a LensCrafters customer for over 10+ years. But she said she could help me with discounts since I'm paying out of my pocket. Well we found glasses and said it will take 2 weeks, when I normally get my glasses within 5 to 7 days.

She said they always come early. So today 1/21/19, I called them at 9:30 am to ask about my glasses. They wasn't in, so 17 minutes later they called me and said the lens was broken and it will be another week. This is so unbelievable. No sorry for the inconvenience. No extra discount for their mistake not mine. I will never go back again. The CS Laise was the only reason I bought them. No big discount I saw. Then I went to LensCrafters. Saw the same glasses with my prescription was 75.28 cheaper and I paid 350. Wow A lesson learn. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I appreciate Edie ** w/ assisting me while I was on lunch break, I dropped my Vera Wang's and she was most helpful in redirecting the lenses. She also helped me select my next pair of lenses/frames. Thank you Edie!! :)

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was fitted with frames and lens. The person that fitted me, Marcus, was both knowledgeable and helped to make sure I was satisfied. We had a couple of problems, but the lens were replaced and he helped me pick a better frame to optimize my prescription.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I got my first glasses from them when I was 15. They got the prescription wrong and I was walking into walls (mostly corners and door frames) for months. When my mother called them all they had to say was that my eyes were adjusting. I went to Walmart and got a pair that worked wonders! Sadly my insurance only covers Visionworks (no other offices in my area were accepting new customers.) So I'm stuck going there. And when I asked the woman giving me my glasses after they came in about possibly getting laser eye surgery she said with a smile "That's not an option. You have astigmatism."

Mind you I wasn't even told this after having gone there for two and a half years at that point. I later Googled it and apparently, I can have it. Not only that, when I was trying to pick out lenses I made it clear I hate wearing glasses and wanted simple black metal half frames (they are lighter on my face so I can pretend the annoying things aren't there) the woman helping me kept bringing the thickest, most colorful and expensive frames they had. I am currently looking for a new eye doctor because of how awful Visionworks is. If you can do not go there.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Excellent service provided by Jessica. Assisted with the selection of frames that were stylish and would hold up while cycling around Branson. Frames also sturdy enough to support the cycling rearview mirror I use to keep an eye on traffic.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

In shopping for glasses, I was told that they had a 2 for one sale going, so I might as well pick out sunglasses or just take the backup pair. Well the $725 price tag floored me so I was about to walk when the lady decided to check the one pair price. This came out to $455. So the "free" pair were actually $270. I went with the one pair but am not very happy with them. I saw better with my old pair. PS- when they delivered my glasses, I asked about a cleaning rag and they told me that my $455 glasses did not come with one! Wow how cheap!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I went to Visionworks in Fayetteville NY. Normally I have a decent experience. Unfortunately, this time was the total opposite. The staff were not attentive and the wait time was a bit longer than usual. I had to ask the lady if she could offer some recommendations on styles and she acted as though she really did not want to. I heard her ask another lady "Are you almost done so you can take them (meaning me) because I really don't want to." I was ready to walk out and leave. But my daughter needed a new pair of glasses right away and being we waited over a week to get the appointment I didn't want to have to reschedule somewhere else. I feel this location could benefit from some education with their staff on how to provide the best customer service experience to the public.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The first time I ever needed glasses was a few years ago. Went to Visionworks in Cool Springs Galleria in Franklin TN. I have excellent insurance that fully paid for my frames , doctors visit, and a substantial proportion of basic bifocals. They were having a BOGO on frames, but was told that did not apply to insured clients. Having never had experience purchasing glasses before, I had no cost expectations from which I could compare.

The only “upgrade” I got was high definition lenses. My progressives were covered by insurance. When I was done, the total came to $650 with excellent insurance; fully covered frames and progressives; uncomplicated bifocals. I went back a couple years later, with the same insurance. This time, the price they quoted was almost $1300 for two pairs. The more I questioned her about the cost, the more evasive and confusing were her responses. Then, her numbers kept changing, as if she was offering some deal. I never could get a straight answer from the sales person.

Attempting to purchase glasses here was WAY than trying to purchasing a car. Incredibly shady stuff going on!!! I left and went to another Visionworks at a later date, and with the same insurance. The cost for the same 2 frames and lenses were less than $650. I told her the Visionworks in Cool Springs was trying to charge me double the cost. She seemed astounded and said there was no way possible frames and lenses would cost that much. So basically, Cool Springs Visionworks in TN is absolutely stealing from customers and ripping people off! Someone needs to send an undercover agent in there. Buying glasses should not feel like I was purchasing a used car. It should feel like a professional doctor’s office where billing and coding is held to a high standard. This place lacks integrity.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had my eyes examined by the Dr. at Visionworks and purchased progressive glasses at the same place so I wouldn't have a problem. However, I have trouble reading with the glasses, and I was told I have a "vision issue that can be caused by underlying issues that may need to be addressed". I can read much better with the 2 year old reading glasses that were prescribed and purchased at a different store! Visionworks wouldn't solve my problem. I will never go there again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I purchased 2 pairs of glasses from the Visionworks in Pooler, Ga. They charged me $1,370.90 for two pairs of glasses, a pair of sunglasses single vision and a pair with progressive lenses. I ended up paying $722.94 out of pocket, that was minus all the "discounts" they claimed to give me and after my insurance paid. They wrote up my bill as purchasing 3 pairs of glasses. When I questioned this, they said "it will make your insurance pay more." Just be wary of Visionworks in Pooler, Ga, I am unsure if they are truly a reputable dealer.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I went to Visionworks Pompano Beach around 2 weeks ago and ordered a par of sunglasses. Initially they gave me an expensive quote. After reviewed it carefully they drop the price a little bit and then I decided to order it. One week later they called me and told me that someone did some kind of mistake and the quote they gave me was just for one lens and if I would like both I have to paid the difference, that is unbelievable after I spent almost 1 hour with them the day of the quote. No professionals at all. Keep away from that place.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Years ago when I used Visionworks after your glasses were ready and you came to pick them up they would sit down with you and make sure the glasses worked well and adjusted until they fit your face. This time I went to pick them up and there was no fitting of the glasses ordered. I would be just as well off ordering online. Why pay more if you get no more service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I visited all 3 sites in DE and the customer service wasn't the greatest, they all could use more professional training in that dept! The site on Kirkwood Hwy is the worst, the girl that works in there is very unprofessional and not helpful at all!!! Every time I've gone in there she's either texting or is very short with answering my questions SMH, so I easily see why the store was always empty! The site on Rt. 202 they were kind of helpful but not really focused providing good or even excellent customer service SMH…so I ended up buying a pair of eyeglass from the Fashion Blvd site and they were no better.

Long story short, I exchanged a pair of eyeglasses for another and instead of them refunding me or my ins co the difference they applied it elsewhere without discussing with me first, then they had me wait for a little over week without texting to say my glasses were in. I had to call them twice to see what the problem was and finally I hear "Oh yeah your glasses are in. They were in the wrong drawer". Really, like are you freaking kidding me right now?! No apologies, no nothing... Needless to say I will not be going to back to buy anything from any of them ever again!!! And I will definitely tell everyone I know not to waste their time or money with them either...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After going to a competitor for years for my son's glasses, a friend suggested going to Visionworks. Not only was the selection 10 times greater, but I saved close to $400 on an exam and eyeglasses. Great, right??? Yep. That wasn’t the best part. EVERY staff member there was professional, knowledgeable, and bent over backwards to make this experience personal and satisfying to our needs. I would recommend this place to ANYONE that needed eyeglasses, contacts or an eye exam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I went for a routine contact lens exam, and was given a pair of trials to wear. These trials caused an ulcer on my eye. The ulcer was so severe, I could tolerate any light at all. My eyes were swelled shut for days, and the pain and swelling was tremendous. I obviously could not work during this time, and because of my extended absence from work, through no fault of my own, lost my job. I told Dr. **, the Dr. who conducted my exam. She was kind and apologetic. The rest of the staff was utterly indifferent, and could have cared less, that Visionworks in Crystal Lake Illinois recklessly dispensed dangerous and faulty contact lenses to me, that caused this ulcer, and my eyes to be swelled shut.

Furthermore, the young lady named Margurita was rude to me, the store manager indifferent, and another woman, suggested to me my job loss wasn't a big deal 2 weeks ago. Aside from Dr. **, NOT ONE staffer bothered to take any responsibility for what they did to me. NOT ONE staffer bothered to apologize to me. Better hope when they dispense faulty contact lenses to you, you don't expect an apology, or expect them to take any responsibility, BECAUSE THEY WON'T. Finally, as a sad example of compensation, I was supposedly given a 6 month supply of contacts. When I got home, I counted them, what they gave me isn't even close to a 6 month supply. What an utterly miserable experience!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

These folks work on commission and their only goal is to sell you as many options and "upgrades" as possible. I brought in my own frames because they do not sell that particular brand. This immediately seemed to set a bad tone and the person "assisting" me actually made fun of them. All I wanted were lenses for reading but the salesperson, citing eye health reasons, convinced me that it would be better to have a more expensive lens category and within that category, I should have the higher end. I agreed and received a quote that turned out to be $100 higher than it should have been.

Unapologetically the salesperson corrected this. Several weeks later they arrived and when I tried them they did not work correctly. A total abomination. I then went through an excruciating ordeal of dealing with disinterested employees in order to get what I originally wanted. It took forever to get a refund as they required prepayment for the initial order. Probably the worst retail experience I have ever encountered. I cannot believe this outfit is still doing business. Buyer beware!

Visionworks expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As an industry leader in eye care services and eye wear products, Visionworks has more than 650 stores in 41 different states, including the District of Columbia.

• Frame finder: The Frame Finder lets shoppers try out different frames on their own face, through the Internet. Consumers can upload a picture and start trying on frames.

• Complete kids line: Get kids glasses that are durable and designed to stand up to the activity of sports.

• Contact lenses: Buy contact lenses that correct for single vision, bifocal or astigmatism.

• Safety gear: Never wear a pair of goggles over glasses while in a work setting again with prescription safety gear.

• Stock up on accessories: Never leave the store without a cleaning kit, case and any other favorite accessories for glasses.

• Best for: Kids, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs