1.88/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

406 Visionworks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I appreciate Edie ** w/ assisting me while I was on lunch break, I dropped my Vera Wang's and she was most helpful in redirecting the lenses. She also helped me select my next pair of lenses/frames. Thank you Edie!! :)

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I got my first glasses from them when I was 15. They got the prescription wrong and I was walking into walls (mostly corners and door frames) for months. When my mother called them all they had to say was that my eyes were adjusting. I went to Walmart and got a pair that worked wonders! Sadly my insurance only covers Visionworks (no other offices in my area were accepting new customers.) So I'm stuck going there. And when I asked the woman giving me my glasses after they came in about possibly getting laser eye surgery she said with a smile "That's not an option. You have astigmatism."

Mind you I wasn't even told this after having gone there for two and a half years at that point. I later Googled it and apparently, I can have it. Not only that, when I was trying to pick out lenses I made it clear I hate wearing glasses and wanted simple black metal half frames (they are lighter on my face so I can pretend the annoying things aren't there) the woman helping me kept bringing the thickest, most colorful and expensive frames they had. I am currently looking for a new eye doctor because of how awful Visionworks is. If you can do not go there.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Excellent service provided by Jessica. Assisted with the selection of frames that were stylish and would hold up while cycling around Branson. Frames also sturdy enough to support the cycling rearview mirror I use to keep an eye on traffic.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

In shopping for glasses, I was told that they had a 2 for one sale going, so I might as well pick out sunglasses or just take the backup pair. Well the $725 price tag floored me so I was about to walk when the lady decided to check the one pair price. This came out to $455. So the "free" pair were actually $270. I went with the one pair but am not very happy with them. I saw better with my old pair. PS- when they delivered my glasses, I asked about a cleaning rag and they told me that my $455 glasses did not come with one! Wow how cheap!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I went to Visionworks in Fayetteville NY. Normally I have a decent experience. Unfortunately, this time was the total opposite. The staff were not attentive and the wait time was a bit longer than usual. I had to ask the lady if she could offer some recommendations on styles and she acted as though she really did not want to. I heard her ask another lady "Are you almost done so you can take them (meaning me) because I really don't want to." I was ready to walk out and leave. But my daughter needed a new pair of glasses right away and being we waited over a week to get the appointment I didn't want to have to reschedule somewhere else. I feel this location could benefit from some education with their staff on how to provide the best customer service experience to the public.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visionworks?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was in desperate need of glasses as my son broke my only pair. I was also a little low on cash and had not used my Vision benefits so I was under the impression I would pay hundreds out of pocket (even with insurance). I was DEAD WRONG. Visionworks (Tempe Marketplace) location really ROCKS. The girls were so helpful and friendly, especially Judie **. She was so polite and made me feel comfortable about choosing glasses that fit my needs and budget. I walked out paying less than $35 for the entire visit and not to mention, my designer Bebe glasses will be ready in 2 days. Thanks for everything Visionworks, you really made my day. P.S. I referred one of my co-workers to you so she will be coming in for her set of eyes. :)

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The first time I ever needed glasses was a few years ago. Went to Visionworks in Cool Springs Galleria in Franklin TN. I have excellent insurance that fully paid for my frames , doctors visit, and a substantial proportion of basic bifocals. They were having a BOGO on frames, but was told that did not apply to insured clients. Having never had experience purchasing glasses before, I had no cost expectations from which I could compare.

The only “upgrade” I got was high definition lenses. My progressives were covered by insurance. When I was done, the total came to $650 with excellent insurance; fully covered frames and progressives; uncomplicated bifocals. I went back a couple years later, with the same insurance. This time, the price they quoted was almost $1300 for two pairs. The more I questioned her about the cost, the more evasive and confusing were her responses. Then, her numbers kept changing, as if she was offering some deal. I never could get a straight answer from the sales person.

Attempting to purchase glasses here was WAY than trying to purchasing a car. Incredibly shady stuff going on!!! I left and went to another Visionworks at a later date, and with the same insurance. The cost for the same 2 frames and lenses were less than $650. I told her the Visionworks in Cool Springs was trying to charge me double the cost. She seemed astounded and said there was no way possible frames and lenses would cost that much. So basically, Cool Springs Visionworks in TN is absolutely stealing from customers and ripping people off! Someone needs to send an undercover agent in there. Buying glasses should not feel like I was purchasing a used car. It should feel like a professional doctor’s office where billing and coding is held to a high standard. This place lacks integrity.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I had my eyes examined by the Dr. at Visionworks and purchased progressive glasses at the same place so I wouldn't have a problem. However, I have trouble reading with the glasses, and I was told I have a "vision issue that can be caused by underlying issues that may need to be addressed". I can read much better with the 2 year old reading glasses that were prescribed and purchased at a different store! Visionworks wouldn't solve my problem. I will never go there again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I purchased 2 pairs of glasses from the Visionworks in Pooler, Ga. They charged me $1,370.90 for two pairs of glasses, a pair of sunglasses single vision and a pair with progressive lenses. I ended up paying $722.94 out of pocket, that was minus all the "discounts" they claimed to give me and after my insurance paid. They wrote up my bill as purchasing 3 pairs of glasses. When I questioned this, they said "it will make your insurance pay more." Just be wary of Visionworks in Pooler, Ga, I am unsure if they are truly a reputable dealer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I purchased a pair of glasses and was not happy with them. Didn’t like look or fit or lenses that were in them. I returned to Saratoga Springs location in NY and the sales rep was very helpful and understanding of my situation. She helped me pick a new frame that fit my face and looked great. Also corrected the type of lenses I wanted originally. This employee went above and beyond to make sure I was a satisfied customer. I believe her first name was Mary Beth. Thanks again for great customer service and helping correct the issue.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I went to Visionworks Pompano Beach around 2 weeks ago and ordered a par of sunglasses. Initially they gave me an expensive quote. After reviewed it carefully they drop the price a little bit and then I decided to order it. One week later they called me and told me that someone did some kind of mistake and the quote they gave me was just for one lens and if I would like both I have to paid the difference, that is unbelievable after I spent almost 1 hour with them the day of the quote. No professionals at all. Keep away from that place.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Years ago when I used Visionworks after your glasses were ready and you came to pick them up they would sit down with you and make sure the glasses worked well and adjusted until they fit your face. This time I went to pick them up and there was no fitting of the glasses ordered. I would be just as well off ordering online. Why pay more if you get no more service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I visited all 3 sites in DE and the customer service wasn't the greatest, they all could use more professional training in that dept! The site on Kirkwood Hwy is the worst, the girl that works in there is very unprofessional and not helpful at all!!! Every time I've gone in there she's either texting or is very short with answering my questions SMH, so I easily see why the store was always empty! The site on Rt. 202 they were kind of helpful but not really focused providing good or even excellent customer service SMH…so I ended up buying a pair of eyeglass from the Fashion Blvd site and they were no better.

Long story short, I exchanged a pair of eyeglasses for another and instead of them refunding me or my ins co the difference they applied it elsewhere without discussing with me first, then they had me wait for a little over week without texting to say my glasses were in. I had to call them twice to see what the problem was and finally I hear "Oh yeah your glasses are in. They were in the wrong drawer". Really, like are you freaking kidding me right now?! No apologies, no nothing... Needless to say I will not be going to back to buy anything from any of them ever again!!! And I will definitely tell everyone I know not to waste their time or money with them either...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After going to a competitor for years for my son's glasses, a friend suggested going to Visionworks. Not only was the selection 10 times greater, but I saved close to $400 on an exam and eyeglasses. Great, right??? Yep. That wasn’t the best part. EVERY staff member there was professional, knowledgeable, and bent over backwards to make this experience personal and satisfying to our needs. I would recommend this place to ANYONE that needed eyeglasses, contacts or an eye exam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I went for a routine contact lens exam, and was given a pair of trials to wear. These trials caused an ulcer on my eye. The ulcer was so severe, I could tolerate any light at all. My eyes were swelled shut for days, and the pain and swelling was tremendous. I obviously could not work during this time, and because of my extended absence from work, through no fault of my own, lost my job. I told Dr. **, the Dr. who conducted my exam. She was kind and apologetic. The rest of the staff was utterly indifferent, and could have cared less, that Visionworks in Crystal Lake Illinois recklessly dispensed dangerous and faulty contact lenses to me, that caused this ulcer, and my eyes to be swelled shut.

Furthermore, the young lady named Margurita was rude to me, the store manager indifferent, and another woman, suggested to me my job loss wasn't a big deal 2 weeks ago. Aside from Dr. **, NOT ONE staffer bothered to take any responsibility for what they did to me. NOT ONE staffer bothered to apologize to me. Better hope when they dispense faulty contact lenses to you, you don't expect an apology, or expect them to take any responsibility, BECAUSE THEY WON'T. Finally, as a sad example of compensation, I was supposedly given a 6 month supply of contacts. When I got home, I counted them, what they gave me isn't even close to a 6 month supply. What an utterly miserable experience!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

These folks work on commission and their only goal is to sell you as many options and "upgrades" as possible. I brought in my own frames because they do not sell that particular brand. This immediately seemed to set a bad tone and the person "assisting" me actually made fun of them. All I wanted were lenses for reading but the salesperson, citing eye health reasons, convinced me that it would be better to have a more expensive lens category and within that category, I should have the higher end. I agreed and received a quote that turned out to be $100 higher than it should have been.

Unapologetically the salesperson corrected this. Several weeks later they arrived and when I tried them they did not work correctly. A total abomination. I then went through an excruciating ordeal of dealing with disinterested employees in order to get what I originally wanted. It took forever to get a refund as they required prepayment for the initial order. Probably the worst retail experience I have ever encountered. I cannot believe this outfit is still doing business. Buyer beware!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

They advertise and say they have great customer service, but my experience is terrible. Bought two pairs. One reading glasses and the other sunglasses. The reading glasses are terrible. I cannot see clearly. Once you pay and they got your money you are stuck with a pair that are no good. I will never buy from them again. I need to go somewhere that I can get good reading glasses. Anyone looking to buy glasses stay away from Visionworks. Specially the one in Sanford Florida.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I made my appointment a week prior and only at Visionworks because my insurance covers it. I walk in and they said no one bothered to look up my insurance and I don't know if I'm really covered. So I have to wait and allow people to go ahead of my appointment while they look up the information. After three different people point blame at someone else they finally find that insurance covers my visit and it will be $10. Ok, great.

Standing room only as I wait, I ask politely how long it might be now that someone went ahead of me. All I get is a shrug of the shoulders from the receptionist. All the other employees are running around, dropping records, everyone is visibly disorganized. I get called back and the Doctor was very nice. All I needed was a quick eye test to get contacts. I'm given the exact same prescription and the same brand as before.

I head over to get cashed out and I received a surprise $28 fee on top of my $10 co-pay. I ask what that's for and she said it's for the contact fitting fee. I explain that I never received a fitting as I'm only getting a prescription. No fitting required. She explains, it's for the doctor to write the prescription. At this point, I'm frustrated and just want to leave, so I pay and while I'm waiting for the receipt I hear another receptionist call a patient over and apologize because her medical records were mixed up with someone else and she was given the wrong eyeglass prescription. I sign my receipt and the receptionist goes to help someone else, I ask where the contacts are. She says "Oh, we ordered them." ok, when will they be here? How long are we talking? "7 to 10 days." Every employee was rude, frustrated and miserable. I wouldn't trust them if I had any issues with my eyes.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

First ever (and last) experience at Visionworks in Temple TX. Started by identifying my insurance carrier and that I wanted to stay in the $200 range out of pocket. Since my frame allowance is $200, it seemed that was a reasonable target for lenses. We discussed that I wanted high def progressives with other options (no glare, scratch resistant, UV protection, Transitions). Associate said they only recommend Transitions Signature or XTRActive. After a quote of $210, he did a great job of helping me pick out attractive frames that would require no copay. We proceeded to filling out paperwork and taking measurements, etc. for ordering.

That's the stage where he asked me which Transitions I preferred. We discussed relative merits of Signature and XTRActive; I selected the latter. Suddenly the price jumps to $300... Oh, that's because he NOW includes the high def progressives & XTRActive. More discussion & he says he can save all the info in their system so I can call in my order after I decide. Turns out, he couldn't save it.

What I decided was to check out the nearby Walmart, where I had previously purchased glasses. Initially, they couldn't access my insurance coverage. Turns out I see I'll had an open case at Visionworks. So I had to call them to request they close out my case (Is this what the fellow at Visionworks said he could save, but then said he couldn't... whatever...). Walmart associate was very helpful & knowledgeable. Bottom line, for $209 I got designer frames & the same options package that would have cost me $300 at Visionworks. Also, no charge for Walmart's one year warranty; Visionworks wanted an additional $60 for their warranty. So shop around & don't be afraid to walk away if you think you're being hoodwinked.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Over last 3 years purchased 4 pairs of glasses 2 of which broke. I decided to get latest pair fixed when the earpiece broke off. The attended looked on the wall and matched the frames exactly by serial number. Next the charge. $58 which I had to pay up front. She told me she would pop lens out of the old into the new. Well of course that could not be done. I ask her if she could send back to the lab to fix. “No you would have to start the process again and buy a new pair.” So I had to get a refund for the money charged. Needless to say this would be my last pair of glasses at Visionworks.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My 10 year old Niece who is visiting us with my wife’s Brother from Colombia lost her glasses in Florida. When we returned to Texas we went to Visionworks located on Westheimer with the prescription for new lenses. She chose the new frames and we filled out the necessary paperwork, paid the bill, and were told 6 to 9 days for delivery. Day 9 arrived and no phone call. We called numerous times for an update and had various excuses given to us. “Try again tomorrow”. “We can’t find her name in our system”. “The lady who took the order isn’t here today”.

So, we revisited the store this afternoon and were told that the lenses have not even been started and they would not be able to complete the work before both Niece and Brother in Law depart for Colombia on Saturday. Great work Visionworks, let’s hope Maria’s eyesight hasn’t suffered through your total lack of competence. One thing where they didn’t hesitate was repaying the bill. Lucky for you that there is no zero as I reluctantly had to give you 1 star. I will never even think of using you again ever!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

My wife and I went to Visionworks to purchase contacts. Our insurance provides $130 allowance per year to purchase contacts and we wanted to buy on box for $80 that day and use the balance later. The Visionworks agent told us we had to use the whole amount at one time or we would lose it. That seemed odd to me so I called the insurance and the person I talked to said as long as there is a balance we can use it to make another purchase later in the year.

So we went back to Visionworks and ordered 1 box using the insurance allowance which should have left us with a balance of $40 of our allowance to use later. That was back in February and now in July we want to order a second box and use the remaining $40 however Visionworks refuses to let us use the balance. We called the insurance again and explained what was happening and this person explained that it is in Visionworks contract that they do not have to let us use the remaining balance. The insurance company called the Visionworks store and talked to them and their response was we told them they had to use all of the allowance or lose it so not our problem. So basically what happened was we bought $80 worth of contacts from Visionworks and Visionworks took the whole $130 allowance for the purchase, stealing the remaining $40. I would stay away from this company at all costs they are very unethical people.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Went to VisionWorks in Mesa, AZ with our son. His glasses had broken, and since we had recently moved here from the Midwest, we were looking for an emergency fix. We went ahead and scheduled an exam for contacts and glasses. Even with our insurance, we ended up paying $600 for one pair of glasses and contacts. VisionWorks only offers high-end, expensive frames, and their frame and lens "specials" are nothing of the sort. We have great insurance through EyeMed, but the pricing at VisionWorks is so extreme that insurance won't even begin to cover it!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Empire Vision Works 1150 Niagra Falls Blvd. Tonawanda, NY 14150 - 6/29/18 entered above-named store. Greeted immediately by **. Pleasant, friendly, extremely professional. I asked ** to look over my frames that I had picked up on 6/25/18 from another Empire Vision Works location. I felt they were took tight, hurting my left ear & left nare region & seemed crooked. She listened to my concerns. Corrected the issues. I am now pain-free & can see correctly, ** is the best in my book. ** keep up the great work & don't ever change!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been wearing glasses for 30 years, so I have an idea what the cost should be. This is the first time I went to Visionworks and feel the cost was exorbitant. Highly excessive and this was with insurance. When I went to pick the glasses up, they were incorrect strengths and had to be sent back and redone. More time waiting!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I never went into a place where they made my vision worse. Getting glasses from there was a big mistake. It's a miracle I can type this. I have blurry vision thanks to them. Nobody does their job anymore.

Original review: May 30, 2018

When I tried to call Visionworks (in Aurora Colorado on Mississippi Avenue) to ask them a couple of questions about my first prescription the woman who answered the phone acted like she knew nothing about the difference between a plus number and a minus number on my prescription. She couldn’t answer simple questions like whether I needed glasses for distance or reading glasses. Then she quickly tried to get me off the phone and told me she couldn’t talk. I would never trust these people with my eyes.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Had my eye exam, 2nd time customer, was told my right eye got a lot worse. Ordered new glasses and sunglasses. When I picked them up a couple of weeks later, I could not see out of my right eye. They told me to give them a couple of weeks and if still having a problem to come back in. Almost got in a car accident because I could not see out of the right eye after wearing them for a week. Called Visionworks, went back in had another exam, was now told my right eye improved and my left astigmatism improved. Did not know this was possible.

Bottom line, my prescription barely changed and I could have continued wearing existing glasses but already ordered the new ones and my insurance company was charged over $1,000 and I paid $420 out of pocket. After I complained, the store manager gave me a 20% credit which came to $85. I do appreciate that now but I believe I could have waited another year or more before spending the money on new glasses because I really did not need them. I think the entire experience was a scam and this is how they make their money. You cannot trust them and I highly recommend you not go there. They are dishonest and there are way too many other companies out there that you can trust.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Visionworks in Springfield, NJ. Friday evening. My glasses have created a severe irritation on the bridge of my nose (red and inflamed). I indicated to the man who was sitting at the desk what the problem was. I asked if I could get a cushion or something to relieve the situation. He immediately told me that these frames do not have anything and his glasses are the same and he doesnt have the problem. That was it!!! He was abrupt, and did not even try a feeble attempt to help me. I asked if no one else ever had this problem. He just went back to his work. Rude!! I will never again go back!! He could have at minimum be courteous-absolutely not at all service oriented.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Frame Insurance copay $99.95. Regular wearing. No abuse for 2+year. Frame starts falling off. When I go to Visionworks in Kingston NY, they said it is warranty only for 12-month. Poor quality. Wearing glass for over 45 years. First pair falling apart like this. Customer service poor.

Visionworks expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As an industry leader in eye care services and eye wear products, Visionworks has more than 650 stores in 41 different states, including the District of Columbia.

• Frame finder: The Frame Finder lets shoppers try out different frames on their own face, through the Internet. Consumers can upload a picture and start trying on frames.

• Complete kids line: Get kids glasses that are durable and designed to stand up to the activity of sports.

• Contact lenses: Buy contact lenses that correct for single vision, bifocal or astigmatism.

• Safety gear: Never wear a pair of goggles over glasses while in a work setting again with prescription safety gear.

• Stock up on accessories: Never leave the store without a cleaning kit, case and any other favorite accessories for glasses.

• Best for: Kids, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs