Visionworks

Compare Eyeglasses Online

Research top Eyeglasses Online recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was told my order will be ready within 10 days. After waiting a while and not hearing from them, I called the Barton Creek Mall store, I was kept on hold for a long time, they were telling me that they couldn't find my order, asking me if I am sure I got them from that location, until eventually they told me that my glasses won't be ready for another 10 days. No one apologized or asked how to make it right, they just left it at that. I think they simply forgot to put in the order and just put it in when I called in two weeks later.

Bought 2 pairs of Eye Glasses, unable to see clearly out of Both pair lenses. Taken back to store location. They claim they remade. Lenses Still can't see out of them for smudge lens. Worker claim I must purchase lens cleaning solution to keep lens clear. Bought 6/17/16 @ Parkchester 1445 Metropolitan Ave Bronx. N.Y. 10462 Not Resolve. Awaiting your assistance to return to store. Please HELP.

First, I got my granddaughter glasses for correcting her lazy eye. Her insurance would not pay until June, so I paid. I got what she wanted, transitions and scratch proof which I paid extra for costing about 179.00. My granddaughter is 6. I was never told the scratch proof were only for 30 days, and if I wanted them replaced, it would cost me 50.00. NEVER did Walmart Vision treat me like this or USA Opticals. So my granddaughter has to look through scratched lenses.

My glasses they overcharged me 170.00, because when I got home I called my insurance company, told them what they charged and for what. My insurance company said I was covered by them, and that I was overcharged. I called and they knew what I was going to say before I said it and said they will credit my account. I never saw credit or got any receipt showing credit. I will never go back again. I got my grandson's glasses there as well. You lost 3 customers over dishonesty and greed!

I recently tried to get glasses from Zenni and got screwed. Went to Visionworks. Had my glasses the next day. After spending $80 and waiting six weeks to get the wrong order, and being told that they wouldn't correct the problem, I went to Visionworks and had glasses the next day for less money.

I arrived early, was told the exam would begin in 5 minutes; it began in 40 minutes. Staff had to be asked repeatedly what was going on because they gave vague, irrelevant answers. What should have been a 30 minute appointment was an hour and 15 minutes. It was in a mall that took a while to drive to. Almost walked out. I will use the prescription to get eyewear elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visionworks?

I went to a Visionworks in Marlton, New Jersey, off of Route 73 last week. I figured with my health insurance they were the easiest to go to for a quick annual exam. I am so very lucky I saw the Dr. I saw, Allan **. As he was examining me he stopped short from completing the exam and explained that he was concerned about the portion of the exam that requires him to dilate my pupils because he saw that the opening behind my eyes was very narrow. That could potentially be a sign of glaucoma and if he dilated my eyes without having that checked it could be a potential problem for me. So he suggested that I go to see a specialist who could do the more extensive glaucoma exam required to confirm or dispel this possibility.

I immediately made an appointment with a specialist and by goodness he was right. I DO HAVE GLAUCOMA!!! If he had dilated my pupils it could have been a disaster that could have been awful for me, including the possibility that I could have gone blind from it. I don't typically write reviews, much less good ones, but everyone who has ever thought that a place like Visionworks provides a pretend or less qualified exam I want to assure you that had it not been for this professional, who obviously knew what he was doing, as in many cases in the storefront chains, I would not be writing this review at this time.

Kudos go out to this Dr. who saved me from a sure disaster. I am now scheduled for surgery to open the narrowing in my eye and to see if that relieves the glaucoma or if I need additional treatment. Thank God I went to this Dr. Next time you are not sure if a Visionworks Dr. can do a proper exam remember this review. Dr. Allan ** YOU ARE MY HERO.

Twice now I have gone to Visionworks when the buy 1 get one free sale is on only to BE TURNED AWAY!!! Visionworks is the only eye care store that doesn't have walk-in appointments. I went in on a FRIDAY (3/31/17) to literally buy glasses. They couldn't give me an appointment until MONDAY. When I told her the sale would be over, it was NO BIG DEAL to her.

A week after my exam I went to Visionworks and picked up my new glasses which cost over 700 dollars. I was asked to put them on and explained that I could not see and was told to take them home it would take time for me to get use to them. I tried and still could not see and scheduled another appt. with the doctor. When I sit on the chair the first thing she says to me is "I don't know why you are here," "I don't know why I am dealing with this" and "I told you that you need to give it time to get use to them." I told her "first of all I am not a child and don't talk to me like one and second I know what works and doesn't work for me and I can't see with the glasses."

In the end she recommended that I change one of my glasses to just reading glasses and keep the progressive to keep trying. Well I got the reading glasses and still can't see. So now have paid over 700 dollar for reading glasses that I could have gotten for $2 dollars and still can't see. Now I have to go back which is over the 30 days and at this point I will probably not get my money back. I will also have to deal with the rude doctor. I paid a lot of money for a bad experience with an unprofessional doctor and glasses that I can't use. I should have read the review before I went to Visionworks!

We called Visionworks on 3/15/17 to inquire about glasses for my son. I explained that the eye exam was done at another location (Wills Eye of Philadelphia), so he proceeded to say "you will need to stop in so we can run the insurance." On 3/17/17 my son finished school early, off to Visionworks 2250 S Christopher Columbus Blvd 19148 we go. We were greeted at the door hello and no name given (heavy set ** male). Since he said the person I asked for by name wasn't there, had to start all over with information. So we started again! He takes our script and insurance info and stated we may have to make some changes (I have no clue what that meant but left a real bad taste in my mouth).

Seconds later he comes back and states the following, "your insurance will cover 2 pair of glasses" (so we're thinking great, wrong!). He said start looking around at the frames (we do that) after a few minutes he returns to us and states "anything over $69.95 comes out of your pocket". Someone from corporate needs to clean house with those crappy frames! OK finally my son picks 2 pair (I am thinking 40.00 and tax is fine. Much nicer frames). My son hands the frames to the salesman and he states nice choices (ok here it comes!). Before we even do anything, while standing there he states "based on my experience he (meaning my son) will need anti-glare lenses." I asked "is it covered and a necessity?" No it's not! And at a cost 125.00 per glasses.

Keep in mind we now are at 290.00 prior to tax. Then he states other costs, I said the all costs should have been discussed prior to picking frames. (so we can make better choices, but I guess that were the pitcher comes from) Then he states "why not just do one pair today, and get the other pair in less than 6 months." I said NO and left the store! Now the end, so we go to another place (Pearle vision). At least this time greeted and name given. She says "have a seat while I run your insurance". She comes back and says "we can not help you." Why I ask? You have a sale pending at another vision retailer. I said "that's not possible!" The guy at Visionworks was so sure he made the sale, he had put a hold on my insurance. 2 HRS later back and forth with insurance company, my son's glasses were ordered with 0 dollars out of my pocket! So I ask is that how your store employees operate your business?

Went to Visionworks right after my insurance changed. I heard bad things about them, BUT gave them the benefit of the doubt. Well I wish I didn't!! First they overcharged me by $40.00. Then went to pick up my glasses, got home, saw the frame was cut crooked, and couldn't see close up. They said the measurements were wrong, redid them again, went back to get them. STILL can't see!! Decided to have another eye exam by them so I could see once and for all. Went today to pick up again. The RX is worse!! AND the lens is cut crooked once again!!! NEVER AGAIN!!! I will NEVER recommend them to ANYONE!! I will call again tomorrow to let them know I will be back for the 5th time and they BETTER NOT charge me for anything!!! All I wanted was new glasses. This is going on for OVER a month and still not corrected!!! It's sad when I see better without the glasses on!!

In November of 2016, I went to Visionworks to get an eye exam, so I could get new contacts. Had the exam in early November and I was told that it could take up to two weeks due to a, "custom order". I was called in December and went in to try on the trial pair. The company sent the wrong prescription on my right eye, so it had to be re-ordered. I was told by the 12th of December I would receive the contact. I called several times and was told, "They are in transit". Finally, I received a call that the contact had arrived. I went in and was simply handed the contact. I was not asked to try them on?? In addition, I had asked the manager to also order my old prescription, just in case those contacts were no good. I was told that they should arrive by the 19th of December.

I returned home on the 27th and again had to call them to find out about the other pair of contacts. I was told they had not been ordered and I needed to come in for another eye exam! I physically went into Visionworks to speak with a manager. The receptionist asked me to put the trials on the doctor had ordered and I explained to her that I had. I informed them via the phone that the trials were no good. I could not see out of them. The eye doctor came out into the waiting room, looked at my chart, and proceeded to berate and blame the staff for their incompetence. He kept raising his voice and waving his hands, saying, "I did not prescribe these contacts, it's not my fault, you all need to fix it". There were 3 workers present, myself, and another patient. I approached the hostile doctor and explained that he in fact "had ordered me those contacts and I could not see out of them".

He became very angry and stated, "Why have you not come in to see me, so I could examine the contacts?" I explained to him all of the above and he became even more hostile. Asking the workers "why no had made me an appointment to have the trials examined". No one had answer. He stormed off into the exam room. I calmly asked the, "manager" to just order the contacts I currently have and there would be no issues. I brought the boxes with me. The manager states to another coworker that she does not want to go in and speak with the doctor because, "He has already yelled at me today". The coworker and the manager go back and forth about who's going to speak with him.

Finally, I say, "Do you want me to speak to him??" And the receptionist bursts out laughing and the other customer waiting for her eye exam says, "I am very uncomfortable about seeing this eye doctor now, he has been very unprofessional." I stated that, "her experience may be different". The coworker, not the manager speaks with the doctor and he agrees that they can order my current contacts. The manager writes down my prescription from the boxes and I was told it could take up to two weeks for a custom order. I was fine with that and I was also reassured that I would in fact receive a call and would not have to keep calling in.

The date I was given was the 12th of January. On the 14th, still no call, so I called in and spoke with the, "manager". She said the contacts had not arrived. I stated to her that she told me 2 weeks and it was past that date. Her response, "I don't know what to tell you". At this point, I had enough and asked for their "corporate number." She had to ask another worker for the number (I can hear the coworker speaking). She gives her the number and she repeats it to me. I then asked, "What are the hours of operation?" Again, the manager asks my question and the worker responds, "They are not open today, it's a holiday". The, "manager", relays this to me and I said, "That is not what I asked you". Very rudely, she tells me the hours and I thank her and she hangs up on me

I call corporate and explained everything that had happened to me up to this point. He put me on hold for 10 mins and came back asking me my D.O.B (something I already offered him during our conversation). I was told, "It'll be a few more mins and to please wait". Another 10 mins pass and he comes back and says, "I will have someone call you back in 1-2 business days with their decision". I said, "Decision for what?" He replied, "Whether or not your contacts can be ordered". He then said, "It's your word against theirs and they're saying something different". I said, "I went there in November and it's now January and I still have no contacts, not even a trial pair". He repeated the same thing. I stated to him, "Now I have to wait 2 more days and still have no contacts". That is when he informed me that the contacts that the doctor agreed to order, never got ordered!!

I stated, "So the manager has been lying to me this whole time! Can you clearly not see who is telling the truth. You can't make this stuff up". Again, he repeated himself about the two business days. I never received a phone call from ANYONE! My husband went into the Smyrna location and asked for a refund. That took 3 weeks to get back. My husband also found out that the girl claiming to be the, "manager", wasn't even the manager. When you look at the receipt, you can see the refund was for ACUVUE OASYS w/ astigmatism. These were the contacts I fought with the doctor to get and then I get a refund for a product that was never received or even ordered!

I have never been bounced around by a business in that way before. The customer service I received was appalling. The eye doctor was belligerent and exceptionally rude. I would not recommend anyone to seek services from the Visionworks located in, Smyrna, TN.

I bought my new glasses in August 2016 at Visionworks #325 (Dr Margaret **) Port Richey, FL. From the beginning I complained my eye glasses were not good. They told me to get used to the new glasses. They also did not fit, they keep sliding down my nose. I have been in and out of that place so many times, without any satisfaction. I could not read with my second pair either unless I shoved one side higher than the other. They are as new in the box as the day I got them. After the warranty ran out, they said the specialist would have to do a new exam and that would be my cost. I dug out my 8-year-old pair and I can read with them and I use my 2 dollar ones from the Dollar Store to read (I have my receipt of $ 312.47 of 08/15/2016.)

I set up an appointment to get a contact lens fitting and a written prescription. I was given a trial pair of contacts for astigmatism and told the doctor that I always got Freshlook contacts in the past and probably would go back to those. The blonde haired lady that rang me up afterwards was completely rude and unprofessional trying to strong arm me into pre-ordering contacts through them at an inflated rate, even though I said I just wanted the prescription and there was a website my insurance company suggested ordering contacts through. I was then told that the exam was only covered if I was buying contacts through them so now I'd have to pay an extra $30. My insurance covered the fitting and I was only supposed to have a $25 co-pay. It turned into me paying $55 because I wouldn't buy contacts through them.

She then said if I wanted to change the contact lenses at all then I'd have to come back and schedule another appointment and that I'd have to pay out of pocket. I tried ordering contacts online through the website my insurance company recommended and they denied the verification of the order. They purposely wrote the prescription so I could only buy exactly the specific brand they had given me the trial pair of even though I told them I've always worn Freshlooks in the past. I've worn contacts for many years and have never had a problem with a place given me a written prescription so that I could buy contacts online. This place is very unprofessional so BEWARE of the Visionworks in the Burnsville Mall in Minnesota.

Do yourself a favor don't go there. The service sucks. It's been 12 days I'm still waiting for my glasses. Called yesterday I was told they are finishing them up. That's a lie. They send the glasses out to be make. $648 for 1 pair of glasses. Then I find out a few days later this company is in the top 3 worst places to get glasses. I looked up to see if the glasses are made on site. Instead I get 344 reasons not to buy glasses at vision care.

Vision Works Clifton Park Customer Service is Terrible. They kept me waiting for 20-25 minutes when I went to pick my glasses. Even though there are many opticians in the store, the ones who were serving were only two. Out of the two, one was talking with a customer about all the restaurants in town, describing each of the menu items she has tried, describing her grandmother etc, etc. The other optician was filling in paperwork in the computer. Why would this be more important than attending to a customer who is waiting? Her name I believe was Ally. Don't know the name of the one talking about food.

I work for a big company and I will send out a mass mailing to ones in my office describing this store and asking them to seriously consider another place. The only positive thing is that the Doctor ** who does the eye exam is very good. The manager of the store needs to replace his opticians with customer oriented ones. Will call him next week. The optician spent less than 2 minutes with me and was rude (with a smile!!).

I've been going to Empire Vision for years due to our eye care plan at work. Empire was purchased by Davis (I believe) and now goes by Visionworks. I've always had very favorable experience when dealing with the Optometrist, who has been there for years, so my complaint isn't about him or the quality of service, which has always been excellent. My complaint is with their pricing policy. I keep the most recent pair of glasses as a back up, and the older pair, no more than 2 years old, I donate to them for the Lions Club. This year I wanted to purchase sunglasses in addition to the ones I get free with my vision care plan. They still carry the old frame, which I happen to like, and I asked to use them for my new sunglasses, to save money. The young lady priced it out for me, and I was told without hesitation that it would cost me more to use my current frame than it would if I purchased a new frame, which I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

I will never return to this store. Pay insurance for the frame of my glasses for a year, when I suffered that damage, I want to charge an additional, which in general terms it is cheaper to buy a new frame in another store, so the insurance is Practically pay for nothing. I do not recommend you go there.

Employees at Vision Works, Route 31, Liverpool, New York, do not know what Customer Service is!! We were greeted upon arrival but the niceties ended there. With my husband's help I picked out frames for eyeglasses and sunglasses. At no time was I approached by an employee to see if I needed assistance but they did seem concerned I didn't have a vision card for them to photocopy. I added my name to a waiting list and approximately 20 minutes later my name was called. The Licensed Optician seemed to be in a hurry from the moment she sat down (new computer system, Saturdays are always busy, etc.). I asked if she could price all frames/lenses for me, which she did. While entering the information in the computer I asked "If I don't make a selection today, will the information be in the computer when I come back in?" Optician told me "No. If you don't order today, all the information needs to be deleted".

She gave me the pricing for frames/lenses but did not bother to explain what costs the insurance was covering. Feeling uncomfortable and getting upset about the way I was being treated, I then said "Thank you for the information, I'll come back at a later time". The Optician got up, slammed my patient record on the front counter and said "Please erase all the information on this person". She came back, pushed her chair in and gave us a clipped "Goodbye" and on to the next person. We decided to stopped at LensCrafters (not a network provider) and was waited on by true professionals. Greeted immediately upon entering the store, they helped me pick out new frames, explained the different lenses available, etc. I ordered new glasses and sunglasses and couldn't be happier. LensCrafters' Customer Service is Top-Notch. Vision Works employees, especially this store, have no clue what Customer Service is.

The eye dr was great. I was asked if I wanted my prescription all over or in one spot by the sales rep. I got my glasses and noticed the ground was slanted etc. I have astigmatism but was told I just needed to get used to them. I called to get a paper signed for DMV and Reisterstown said they don't do that. I called the one in Catonsville and hopefully I can get the form. I was told that was common. Reisterstown needs to be trained on what they sell and learn not to raise their voices to patrons.

Throughout all the years of being a client at Visionworks they never cease to amaze me at how extremely unprofessional they are. I need to begin looking elsewhere for my eyecare because this is ridiculous. I don't know if all Visionwork locations are the same, but the one on Rt. 46 West Totowa, NJ, needs to really improve their customer service. I will begin with my most recent experience. I called and asked them if they could please send me my prescription through mail because I really want to buy my glasses elsewhere instead of dealing with them. I asked them on January 6, it's January 18 and I still haven't received anything despite me calling them six times to please send me the prescription. All the workers tell me the same story, "I will put it in the mail right now".

Yesterday I finally complained to the manager and he also said the same thing. I hope that at least the manager follows through. Another experience I had with Visionworks happened 6 months ago. I called to ask them for a specific frame and they put me on hold. I waited 30 minutes until they just hung up the phone. I called again, and again they put me on hold. The same thing happened, 30 minutes passes and the phone just went dead. My third call, I was a bit angry as I should be, because who wouldn't get mad at waiting an hour just to get some service and simply not getting it. At the third call the lady worker hung up in the middle of me complaining. At this point I was furious and I called three more times and they would not pick up the phone.

I couldn't believe a business could do this to their customers. It was unbelievable. I went to the location to complain about what happened and they all seemed to not care. Other experiences deal with promotions. The Visionworks' promotions always have a catch to them and they are very misleading such as "Buy one pair, get the second one half off". They are only referring to the frames not the lenses and they tell you this when you finally find a pair of glasses you like. I'm going to check if my insurance covers my eyecare elsewhere. They simply are horrendous at customer service.

Visionworks has excellent quality and selection, and gives a great value for contacts and glasses! They respect your appointment time so you are not just sitting around. Their employees and doctors are well informed and friendly.

Not the least bit impressed and will likely never return. I was greeted by a harried and stressed AMY who briskly handed me forms and told me which chair to sit in to complete them. No restroom - "out of order" AMY says. Eye exam by Dr. with probably 100 years of experience - OK. I had to wait 45 minutes after exam to get price of glasses. Here is where it got interesting and the sales pitch started. Buy 1 get one free. If I use my insurance 2 pairs for 957.00, If I take their promotion 850.00. I advised them I only wanted 1 pair. They push 2 pair. "My last glasses cost me 295.00 how much will 1 pair cost me this time?" I ask. 1 Pair 587.00 - and they repeat "much better deal to get 2 at 850.00. I don't need 2 pair. Why 587.00 when last pair 2 years ago cost 295.00? "You used a coupon" was the answer. Took my prescription and went to another store and purchased same frame and glasses for 259.00.

I love this place. Easy access, great hours of service. The price of their glasses is very good and the quality is great. You will find what you want with their selection and their delivery is on time. They take care of you every time you have a need. They work with you to make sure the glasses fit properly.

I am very happy with the quality of my frame. I have had the same frames since 2010 and have held up wonderfully. If I have any adjustments I can go to any Vision Center and they will adjust my frames. That is a plus compared to an independent eyeglass doctor. But I paid a little more than what I expected from their advertisements. Also, the selection could have been better as you only get what they had on display. I suggest before you order to find out the cost.

My husband purchased glasses from Visionworks last December. In November a lens loosened and the frame needed a simple repair to secure the lens. We went back to the store and the woman working never got up from her chair and told us they only guaranteed their products for 30 days. She said we could go home and glue them! Will never darken their door again! Took the glasses to the optical store we have previously bought from. They not only repaired the glasses, they did not charge us.

I went to the Visionworks on Mayo in Scottsdale. The exam never got my prescription right, and the salesman was pushy and lied to me about prices. I am very easy to please, but he was impossible and rude. I had a "buy one, get one free" coupon, and he said that I had to spend $900 to get a second pair for free. I went to Costco instead, where the prices were realistic and the people were kind! I had to take another exam because the one from Visionworks had numbers they'd never seen before, but it was worth it.

The value of the glasses is poor and quality is just ok, but the overall selection was extensive. However, I waited for 2 hours to be fit. They were also overpriced and understaffed. The ophthalmologist was professional and felt he DID a good job as vision with my regular glasses for trifocals were well done but not so for my free sunglasses wherein the script was too strong.

Very happy with the Visionworks in my town. It is a great place to get good quality glasses and it's easy to get an appointment. Now I go there and it only takes about one week to get a new pair of glasses which is great. They always have a large number of glasses to pick from. Frames are very good and I have reused them a number of time over the years. You get what you pay for.

I always try to purchase during an ad sale and I try to stay with something similar to what I have. After I select what I think will work, they are careful to make sure the frame is the right size for my face and contours. Picked the glasses up in store and they have held up to mild abuse.

Visionworks has fine selection, great quality and very good value. When I got my glasses in store, they made sure the glasses fit comfortable and my vision was clear. They were concerned that I was completely happy with my new glasses. They had good, knowledgeable employees and there was great followup service. I would recommend them to all my friends, family and acquaintances.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As an industry leader in eye care services and eye wear products, Visionworks has more than 650 stores in 41 different states, including the District of Columbia.

• Frame finder: The Frame Finder lets shoppers try out different frames on their own face, through the Internet. Consumers can upload a picture and start trying on frames.
  • Complete kids line: Get kids glasses that are durable and designed to stand up to the activity of sports.
  • Contact lenses: Buy contact lenses that correct for single vision, bifocal or astigmatism.
  • Safety gear: Never wear a pair of goggles over glasses while in a work setting again with prescription safety gear.
  • Stock up on accessories: Never leave the store without a cleaning kit, case and any other favorite accessories for glasses.
  • Best for Kids, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Compare Eyeglasses Online