1.34/5
Based on 389 reviews that contain star ratings

393 Visionworks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After going to a competitor for years for my son's glasses, a friend suggested going to Visionworks. Not only was the selection 10 times greater, but I saved close to $400 on an exam and eyeglasses. Great, right??? Yep. That wasn’t the best part. EVERY staff member there was professional, knowledgeable, and bent over backwards to make this experience personal and satisfying to our needs. I would recommend this place to ANYONE that needed eyeglasses, contacts or an eye exam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I went for a routine contact lens exam, and was given a pair of trials to wear. These trials caused an ulcer on my eye. The ulcer was so severe, I could tolerate any light at all. My eyes were swelled shut for days, and the pain and swelling was tremendous. I obviously could not work during this time, and because of my extended absence from work, through no fault of my own, lost my job. I told Dr. **, the Dr. who conducted my exam. She was kind and apologetic. The rest of the staff was utterly indifferent, and could have cared less, that Visionworks in Crystal Lake Illinois recklessly dispensed dangerous and faulty contact lenses to me, that caused this ulcer, and my eyes to be swelled shut.

Furthermore, the young lady named Margurita was rude to me, the store manager indifferent, and another woman, suggested to me my job loss wasn't a big deal 2 weeks ago. Aside from Dr. **, NOT ONE staffer bothered to take any responsibility for what they did to me. NOT ONE staffer bothered to apologize to me. Better hope when they dispense faulty contact lenses to you, you don't expect an apology, or expect them to take any responsibility, BECAUSE THEY WON'T. Finally, as a sad example of compensation, I was supposedly given a 6 month supply of contacts. When I got home, I counted them, what they gave me isn't even close to a 6 month supply. What an utterly miserable experience!

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

These folks work on commission and their only goal is to sell you as many options and "upgrades" as possible. I brought in my own frames because they do not sell that particular brand. This immediately seemed to set a bad tone and the person "assisting" me actually made fun of them. All I wanted were lenses for reading but the salesperson, citing eye health reasons, convinced me that it would be better to have a more expensive lens category and within that category, I should have the higher end. I agreed and received a quote that turned out to be $100 higher than it should have been.

Unapologetically the salesperson corrected this. Several weeks later they arrived and when I tried them they did not work correctly. A total abomination. I then went through an excruciating ordeal of dealing with disinterested employees in order to get what I originally wanted. It took forever to get a refund as they required prepayment for the initial order. Probably the worst retail experience I have ever encountered. I cannot believe this outfit is still doing business. Buyer beware!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

They advertise and say they have great customer service, but my experience is terrible. Bought two pairs. One reading glasses and the other sunglasses. The reading glasses are terrible. I cannot see clearly. Once you pay and they got your money you are stuck with a pair that are no good. I will never buy from them again. I need to go somewhere that I can get good reading glasses. Anyone looking to buy glasses stay away from Visionworks. Specially the one in Sanford Florida.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I made my appointment a week prior and only at Visionworks because my insurance covers it. I walk in and they said no one bothered to look up my insurance and I don't know if I'm really covered. So I have to wait and allow people to go ahead of my appointment while they look up the information. After three different people point blame at someone else they finally find that insurance covers my visit and it will be $10. Ok, great.

Standing room only as I wait, I ask politely how long it might be now that someone went ahead of me. All I get is a shrug of the shoulders from the receptionist. All the other employees are running around, dropping records, everyone is visibly disorganized. I get called back and the Doctor was very nice. All I needed was a quick eye test to get contacts. I'm given the exact same prescription and the same brand as before.

I head over to get cashed out and I received a surprise $28 fee on top of my $10 co-pay. I ask what that's for and she said it's for the contact fitting fee. I explain that I never received a fitting as I'm only getting a prescription. No fitting required. She explains, it's for the doctor to write the prescription. At this point, I'm frustrated and just want to leave, so I pay and while I'm waiting for the receipt I hear another receptionist call a patient over and apologize because her medical records were mixed up with someone else and she was given the wrong eyeglass prescription. I sign my receipt and the receptionist goes to help someone else, I ask where the contacts are. She says "Oh, we ordered them." ok, when will they be here? How long are we talking? "7 to 10 days." Every employee was rude, frustrated and miserable. I wouldn't trust them if I had any issues with my eyes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Visionworks?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

First ever (and last) experience at Visionworks in Temple TX. Started by identifying my insurance carrier and that I wanted to stay in the $200 range out of pocket. Since my frame allowance is $200, it seemed that was a reasonable target for lenses. We discussed that I wanted high def progressives with other options (no glare, scratch resistant, UV protection, Transitions). Associate said they only recommend Transitions Signature or XTRActive. After a quote of $210, he did a great job of helping me pick out attractive frames that would require no copay. We proceeded to filling out paperwork and taking measurements, etc. for ordering.

That's the stage where he asked me which Transitions I preferred. We discussed relative merits of Signature and XTRActive; I selected the latter. Suddenly the price jumps to $300... Oh, that's because he NOW includes the high def progressives & XTRActive. More discussion & he says he can save all the info in their system so I can call in my order after I decide. Turns out, he couldn't save it.

What I decided was to check out the nearby Walmart, where I had previously purchased glasses. Initially, they couldn't access my insurance coverage. Turns out I see I'll had an open case at Visionworks. So I had to call them to request they close out my case (Is this what the fellow at Visionworks said he could save, but then said he couldn't... whatever...). Walmart associate was very helpful & knowledgeable. Bottom line, for $209 I got designer frames & the same options package that would have cost me $300 at Visionworks. Also, no charge for Walmart's one year warranty; Visionworks wanted an additional $60 for their warranty. So shop around & don't be afraid to walk away if you think you're being hoodwinked.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Over last 3 years purchased 4 pairs of glasses 2 of which broke. I decided to get latest pair fixed when the earpiece broke off. The attended looked on the wall and matched the frames exactly by serial number. Next the charge. $58 which I had to pay up front. She told me she would pop lens out of the old into the new. Well of course that could not be done. I ask her if she could send back to the lab to fix. “No you would have to start the process again and buy a new pair.” So I had to get a refund for the money charged. Needless to say this would be my last pair of glasses at Visionworks.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My 10 year old Niece who is visiting us with my wife’s Brother from Colombia lost her glasses in Florida. When we returned to Texas we went to Visionworks located on Westheimer with the prescription for new lenses. She chose the new frames and we filled out the necessary paperwork, paid the bill, and were told 6 to 9 days for delivery. Day 9 arrived and no phone call. We called numerous times for an update and had various excuses given to us. “Try again tomorrow”. “We can’t find her name in our system”. “The lady who took the order isn’t here today”.

So, we revisited the store this afternoon and were told that the lenses have not even been started and they would not be able to complete the work before both Niece and Brother in Law depart for Colombia on Saturday. Great work Visionworks, let’s hope Maria’s eyesight hasn’t suffered through your total lack of competence. One thing where they didn’t hesitate was repaying the bill. Lucky for you that there is no zero as I reluctantly had to give you 1 star. I will never even think of using you again ever!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

My wife and I went to Visionworks to purchase contacts. Our insurance provides $130 allowance per year to purchase contacts and we wanted to buy on box for $80 that day and use the balance later. The Visionworks agent told us we had to use the whole amount at one time or we would lose it. That seemed odd to me so I called the insurance and the person I talked to said as long as there is a balance we can use it to make another purchase later in the year.

So we went back to Visionworks and ordered 1 box using the insurance allowance which should have left us with a balance of $40 of our allowance to use later. That was back in February and now in July we want to order a second box and use the remaining $40 however Visionworks refuses to let us use the balance. We called the insurance again and explained what was happening and this person explained that it is in Visionworks contract that they do not have to let us use the remaining balance. The insurance company called the Visionworks store and talked to them and their response was we told them they had to use all of the allowance or lose it so not our problem. So basically what happened was we bought $80 worth of contacts from Visionworks and Visionworks took the whole $130 allowance for the purchase, stealing the remaining $40. I would stay away from this company at all costs they are very unethical people.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Went to VisionWorks in Mesa, AZ with our son. His glasses had broken, and since we had recently moved here from the Midwest, we were looking for an emergency fix. We went ahead and scheduled an exam for contacts and glasses. Even with our insurance, we ended up paying $600 for one pair of glasses and contacts. VisionWorks only offers high-end, expensive frames, and their frame and lens "specials" are nothing of the sort. We have great insurance through EyeMed, but the pricing at VisionWorks is so extreme that insurance won't even begin to cover it!

Original review: June 30, 2018

Empire Vision Works 1150 Niagra Falls Blvd. Tonawanda, NY 14150 - 6/29/18 entered above-named store. Greeted immediately by **. Pleasant, friendly, extremely professional. I asked ** to look over my frames that I had picked up on 6/25/18 from another Empire Vision Works location. I felt they were took tight, hurting my left ear & left nare region & seemed crooked. She listened to my concerns. Corrected the issues. I am now pain-free & can see correctly, ** is the best in my book. ** keep up the great work & don't ever change!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been wearing glasses for 30 years, so I have an idea what the cost should be. This is the first time I went to Visionworks and feel the cost was exorbitant. Highly excessive and this was with insurance. When I went to pick the glasses up, they were incorrect strengths and had to be sent back and redone. More time waiting!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I never went into a place where they made my vision worse. Getting glasses from there was a big mistake. It's a miracle I can type this. I have blurry vision thanks to them. Nobody does their job anymore.

Original review: May 30, 2018

When I tried to call Visionworks (in Aurora Colorado on Mississippi Avenue) to ask them a couple of questions about my first prescription the woman who answered the phone acted like she knew nothing about the difference between a plus number and a minus number on my prescription. She couldn’t answer simple questions like whether I needed glasses for distance or reading glasses. Then she quickly tried to get me off the phone and told me she couldn’t talk. I would never trust these people with my eyes.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Had my eye exam, 2nd time customer, was told my right eye got a lot worse. Ordered new glasses and sunglasses. When I picked them up a couple of weeks later, I could not see out of my right eye. They told me to give them a couple of weeks and if still having a problem to come back in. Almost got in a car accident because I could not see out of the right eye after wearing them for a week. Called Visionworks, went back in had another exam, was now told my right eye improved and my left astigmatism improved. Did not know this was possible.

Bottom line, my prescription barely changed and I could have continued wearing existing glasses but already ordered the new ones and my insurance company was charged over $1,000 and I paid $420 out of pocket. After I complained, the store manager gave me a 20% credit which came to $85. I do appreciate that now but I believe I could have waited another year or more before spending the money on new glasses because I really did not need them. I think the entire experience was a scam and this is how they make their money. You cannot trust them and I highly recommend you not go there. They are dishonest and there are way too many other companies out there that you can trust.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Visionworks in Springfield, NJ. Friday evening. My glasses have created a severe irritation on the bridge of my nose (red and inflamed). I indicated to the man who was sitting at the desk what the problem was. I asked if I could get a cushion or something to relieve the situation. He immediately told me that these frames do not have anything and his glasses are the same and he doesnt have the problem. That was it!!! He was abrupt, and did not even try a feeble attempt to help me. I asked if no one else ever had this problem. He just went back to his work. Rude!! I will never again go back!! He could have at minimum be courteous-absolutely not at all service oriented.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Frame Insurance copay $99.95. Regular wearing. No abuse for 2+year. Frame starts falling off. When I go to Visionworks in Kingston NY, they said it is warranty only for 12-month. Poor quality. Wearing glass for over 45 years. First pair falling apart like this. Customer service poor.

Original review: April 8, 2018

The worse experience ever, signed stating buy one get one. Well that didn’t happen when I picked out 2 was given Full price of both no explanation. Anyway order one pair was told will get a call in 2 weeks. Well if you got that call I did. Almost 4 weeks goes by and I contact them, oh somehow glasses just came in day before. Pick up glasses, get home and look like something was glued on lenses to make transitional lens.

Next week I goes back and the guy looking just as puzzled as I were. Again was told I’ll receive a call in 2 weeks. 2 weeks come and go. The third week I call on a Friday and was told glasses aren’t in. I wait another week to and call only to be told glasses came in last Thursday, but on last Friday I was told they didn’t come in. However I’m still not satisfied with the glasses. I made a complaint only to be told I would be contacted. Well once again I never received that call either. I wouldn’t recommend this store to my enemy. The product and the services were horrible. I wasted money, cause these glasses was horribly made.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I just visited the Visionworks website to leave feedback on my experiences. It appeared the store that I visited would be contacting me, by the automated form I was presented. There is nothing the store can do to fix what they have done, I wanted to let someone know at corporate how horribly run the store in my area is. I then looked for a phone number to contact them. I was hung up on after calling 6 times and selecting 6 different extensions.

I visited Visionworks in Butler, PA in August of 2016 to try on frames. I found a pair I loved and decided to purchase them. My grandmother was with me and said they looked very nice. The store employee assisting me said I should not purchase the frames because they did not look good on me. She shoved multiple other pairs in my direction, which I tried on then was told they all looked great and I should purchase one of them. I let the woman know I liked the first pair and would like to purchase them. She said they are not the glasses for me and after arguing with her that I wanted to purchase them, I gave up and told my grandmother we should leave. I went to the Cranberry Twp., Pa store and made my purchase, which was a great experience! I will definitely go back there.

I decided to try Visionworks again in January of 2018. Dr. ** was wonderful. She was very thorough. The wait time was very minimal. We found a pair of contacts after some trial and error, that were a good fit. She told me there was a rebate for $90 on this pair and told me the price of the contacts were $259 then my insurance would also be used. She had me work with a store employee to order the contacts. The employee insisted there was not a rebate. She said the contacts were going to be $295 after using my insurance. I left frustrated. I called a couple days later and asked to speak to someone about contact prices and explained that the person who had previously helped me was trying to charge over the price of the contacts. I also said that Dr. ** told me how much they would be and the price I was given was way more.

The woman on the phone was great. She pulled up my account, told me about the rebate and what my insurance would cover and I would end up paying $100 out of pocket for a year supply. I went back to the store and asked for her to take care of me. When she gave me the rebate form she said she had never signed one before and it was not necessary. I said that I would like it signed and she did sign it. She did not tell me that the rebate required the receipt from my eye exam. I threw it away after my appointment.

I picked up my contacts when they came in, I later realized there was one defective contact - I think it was the wrong prescription. I returned it to the store and they ordered a new contact to replace this one. A few days later, when I was submitting the rebate, I realized I needed the receipt from the exam. Back to Visionworks again for a copy. The gentleman who helped me accidentally gave me a copy of the contact purchase receipt. I walked back in and he printed the one from my exam.

Today I went to submit the rebate and was told that I only qualify for $70 not $90. I called the help number for the contact company and was told Visionworks told me the amount for another pair of contacts that I did not purchase. I went ahead and submitted the rebate. Making sure the store employees took care of me properly was a lot of work and the (4) return trips to this store that I should not have had to make cost time and money.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Cheap Quality - High Price. Visionworks Cedar Hills Crossing # 178 3205 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Ste 9 Beaverton, OR 97005. (503) 646-7995. They took advantage of my wife and at her insurance. They give her cheap made in China unbranded 2 pairs of eyeglasses and charging her $1020.93. We return one pair for a refund of $364.97. The store manager and the supervisor ignored all my emails to contact me and they been unprofessional on phone or in person. Be aware of the quality and what you are paying. WM 5037 BR 51 18-140 China Made. Selling this on their website for $41.97. BUY ONE GET ONE FREE USE CODE: BOGO. Under $100 Eyeglasses Brown WM 5037.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I had an appointment to get my eyes checked at the Visionworks at 7727 Mall Road, Florence KY. I arrived 5 minutes before my appointment and filled out their paperwork and this person walks in and says he didn't believe that the exam he had a few days earlier was correct. They brought the Optometrist out and he said "I know my exam was correct but let me check again" And took the person back in front of me. The worst part is that happened last year. The same exact thing!!! Plus, the people in front just didn't care. And they lied about why the person was taken back in front of me. Oh it was the same lie they gave last year. It kills me that you can hear everything they talk about with their customers. Isn't there a HIPAA Law. Does it not require some privacy. I recommend going anywhere other than Visionworks. They don't care about you!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I came here because this is the place my insurance told me to go (MANAGED CARE - MEDICAID). They give them no choice of glasses. There is one pair of glasses in every set of glasses for 69.99. They are all the same type of glasses. Very unfair just because my insurance isn't for the rich better off people I get no choice of glasses.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Was in to use my vision insurance allowance to get contacts. Decided to take advantage of an offer of 50% off of a pair of glasses. Wow... the works part of their name is when they give you the works. They added all sorts of things to the impulse pair of glasses that I explained to the sales girl I would only wear in a dire emergency, next to never, and that I wanted basic... without consult, she added and calculated and added everything she could think of to these random never wear glasses. When she finished and told me my total, I gasp... I ask for explanation, she would never say. Buyer beware, I'm too timid but I should have said never mind. Even worse note on these $$$ glasses... I did try to wear them since I spent so much and they make everything look wavy. I hate the glasses, I hate the up-sale and I hated Visionworks!!! Avoid, avoid unless you are more assertive and can get them to show you and tell you all charges.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

So went to the Visionworks on Columbus BLVD in Philadelphia. I used my Davis Vision and also told them I'm on disability so can't afford anything expensive. Did my eye exam, the lady was very nice. Went around and looked at the frames and found a nice pair. Without even asking me what kind of lenses I wanted, he just assumed I wanted the high definition lenses which would have been $250 out of pocket even with my insurance. So finally picked my lenses they said two weeks. Way too long but I said ok. So three weeks go by and I call. "Oh I'm sorry, there was a defect in your lenses." So here it's week four with no glasses. DO NOT GO TO VISIONWORKS!! SAVE YOUR SANITY.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

If you have Davis Vision... great place to get fashionable glasses at no cost. I paid $60 for non glare and that is it. Remember the k. Least satisfied are more likely to leave reviews. It's the American culture. I'm a business owner, I know. Glasses are a rip off everywhere... I'm blind without them. What am I going to do? Go without? Fast, friendly service in Ann Arbor, MI.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a pair of eyeglasses. You have 30 days to decide if you will like them. My first pair was too heavy and I started having headaches. I went back to return them for refund. I was told I could exchange them for another pair. I looked around. The customer rep was very helpful and trying to find a suitable pair and she found one. I liked it but I told her that the pair cost more than my original set that I purchased.

I was prepared to pay the difference. I came back to try on the new pair of glasses and quickly noticed how very loose they were. The gentleman tightened the screws but the glasses were just too loose. Since I was past the 30 days, I could not return the glasses. I highly suspect that the "new" glasses that I got were actually used.

I basically lost 270 dollars and have a pair of glasses that I cannot use. I did read the negative reviews before coming but really did not think Visionworks would be that bad. I was wrong, Visionworks is worse. I'm going to LensCrafters. Stay away from Visionworks unless you don't mind gambling your money away. Hard lesson learned.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

9/1 Went in to see about getting new glasses. The associate helped me, knew I came in based on that offer so I pick out 2 pair I like after eye exam. She then looked at my old glasses from 2 or 3 years ago I purchased from Visionworks. Went in back. My glasses came back like a burn mark on lens. She started doing math and said I don't qualify for buy one get one so I had to get 1 pair. Mine were damaged. That's not the end of it. When I hotbed the new ones the green glare was horrific. I was in store Meadows Mall Las Vegas 5 times and 12 to 15 calls telling them I was not happy. It was causing severe headaches which ordered another pair. Came in 2 days before 30 day warranty was up. Tried those on. SAME issue. Excessive green glare.

I told the girl still not right and Ariel the general manager said to me, "We've tried" and he walked out to parking lot talking on his cell phone so I told the employee "That's how your managers deal with customers?" She said, "He's the general manager." I just stood up and told them I would call corporate. Now corporate did nothing but offer me to buy another pair for 60 percent off. Why would I purchase something? They are not listening. THE GREEN glare blinded those who look at me when having a conversation? The buy one get one is false advertisement. All the employees had a different story which was lying to a customer to make a upgraded sale... I have never been treated so poorly. I'm stuck with one pair of glasses with an extreme high green glare and my old glasses scratched or burned on lens.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had the worst experience ever. I got there 12:55 pm in the after and it's now 2:08 as I speak and still haven’t seen anyone. Just unbelievable. 3 people already went ahead of me. The wait is absolutely disgusting. I’m def not even going to bother getting the cover for them.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

First my appointment was at 12:15 and was not seen by the doctor until 2:23. My script was the same for years but the past 2 appointments I had there (insurance changed needed a new doctor) my script both years in a row conveniently requiring me to get all new glasses and contacts every year. I waited 8 days so I called to check on the status of my contacts and glasses and was insulted because I guess I was supposed to know they came from Texas and they just had a hurricane.

I am truly sorry for Texas but I had no idea that's where they ordered everything from. Now a week later, I'm out of contacts and I call again only to have to call 4 times before someone actually picked up and when I said I was calling to check the status of my glasses/contacts, I was literally huffed at and asked if someone called me and before I could answer that he proceeded to tell they are far too busy right now and they will call me later. The service there is awful. The attitudes of the staff is appalling. Once they have your money and trust me a lot of it -over $1000.00 and that was only my portion not including the insurance, they treat you worse than dirt.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I am in the middle of the worst experience with Vision Works in Shrewsbury, NJ. I stopped in about a month ago to order glasses (I had a prescription from my eye doctor already) and this used car salesman type of guy sits with me after I picked out frames. Wow, expensive, but what the heck, I needed glasses. After a few weeks, no call and I notice the store is closed and has big blowers inside for what I assumed was a mold issue. Note of the door to call the Neptune office. I do so and was told my glasses are there. A few days later, I go there - no glasses. Oh, they have all been transported back to Shrewsbury, go there. So I go there, still closed. I finally find out that yes, they do have a mold issue and my glasses will be ready in a few days. The manager kept apologizing and I said, "Just Fix It!" Worst customer service ever. I never got one call from anyone on any of this. I had to do all the calling and all of the legwork. Not good!

Visionworks expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As an industry leader in eye care services and eye wear products, Visionworks has more than 650 stores in 41 different states, including the District of Columbia.

• Frame finder: The Frame Finder lets shoppers try out different frames on their own face, through the Internet. Consumers can upload a picture and start trying on frames.

• Complete kids line: Get kids glasses that are durable and designed to stand up to the activity of sports.

• Contact lenses: Buy contact lenses that correct for single vision, bifocal or astigmatism.

• Safety gear: Never wear a pair of goggles over glasses while in a work setting again with prescription safety gear.

• Stock up on accessories: Never leave the store without a cleaning kit, case and any other favorite accessories for glasses.

• Best for: Kids, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs