Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.10/5

AdvancedMD provides the most comprehensive medical office software suite in the industry. Our EHR, billing and patient experience tools are used by more than 45,000 physicians and backed by expert practice advocates.

The AdvancedMD experience is unlike any other because the products are designed by medical professionals, for medical professionals. The software adapts to your needs: charting, billing and scheduling processes can be customized to fit your specialty and workflows. User-friendly dashboards, one-click tasks and automated processes increase efficiency while a robust suite of patient experience tools increases satisfaction and retention.

AdvancedMD Get Started

AdvancedMD Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AdvancedMD?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AdvancedMD?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I was in discussions with their sales department for several months before I was ready to purchase the program. They assured me their product was gong to be tailored to my needs. I had looked at several others that were user friendly. I wanted to look at the program but it was not available to preview but AdvancedMD promised to provide all the things I needed. If I had an opportunity to look at the EMR I would have never purchased it. Enormous program, very small font and microscopic icons, some are not institutive. I never did get to use it but I am paying for the contract. NASA could make this work.

Get buying tips about Electronic Health Records (EHR) Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Transferring to Advanced MD was the worst decision I made. I had countless issues with the billing department and patient statements are ALWAYS wrong. I had to do double the work just to correct the mistakes Advanced MD created. Patients would call upset because they were getting statements in the mail stating they had balances, when in fact AdVanced MD was not posted EOB's correctly. Now I am stuck with paying thousands of dollars every month with a company that causes me more issues, which requires more time.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

The experience with AdvancedMD has been a nightmare from the beginning. They promised us it would do ABA billing, only to tell us after we purchased it sorry, we were wrong, it will not do ABA billing. (We were able to do a workaround that they could not figure out.) There are many glitches in the system. What is horrible is they charge you for "add-ons" and re-billing when it is due to the glitches. A few issues with the PM (many many more with the EHR portion):

Payment posting
    - auto posting has rolled balances to wrong bucket (patient or stayed on insurance)
    - auto posting has posted remits as if in network, w/o instead of roll to patient
    - allowable fee schedules removed due to posting errors with allowables used for all posting even if claim is held or denied, had to remove all allowables for third party payers to avoid errors
    - insurance reversals do not reverse write offs, have to manually correct insurance reversals

- what differentiates an 'allowable' versus a 'charge' fee schedule-what do they do in relation to charges, posting, and reporting?

Referrals
    - referrals can be easily changed or new referrals created throughout system in error when correcting visits/charges/claims (hard stops for changes or do not allow a change without following proper workflow)
    - any change in a referral, episode, and/or appointment can affect all other components leading to errors; flags and/or hard stops to avoid forgetting addressing other components about a needed change/correction
    - referral date ranges do not correlate when entering charges, you should be able to enter a charge after the DOS and select the referral with the appropriate date range, we often have to change the expiration date for a referral in order to attach it to a charge even though the DOS of charge is in the date range on referral
    - when in charges or claims and need to change the referral, it is difficult to find the correct one. The pop up with the referrals does not show the auth number or CPT code and we could have many referrals for the same modality
    - cannot default expired referrals to 'gray' out, then we cannot select them when working charges/claims
    - referrals do not calculate properly for minutes when selected

- referrals with auth visits/charge amount/minutes should not allow more that entered to avoid denials or overages

Episodes-referrals-appointments

- is there an ideal workflow for creating, correcting, updating and deleting to avoid issues

Reports
    - industry standard reporting not available without advanced insight-need raw data to create step report for payer analysis, charges negate payments when importing. I need data with service, charge, date of entry, date of service, payments (insurance and patient), balance (total, insurance & patient), date of insurance payment, payer, financial class, provider, patient
    - held charges is a report, should be a work queue or in the collections module to work the claims
    - collections module is glitchy-when scrolling through accounts is rolls to the bottom, cannot stop it, funnels claims into worklists instead of compiles

- financial reports (ex: Reimbursement Analysis-Summary) are wrong (private pay charges fall in the wrong financial class and carrier), asked how data is being pulled into report but no answer or resolution if an error

We have multiple reported calls with staff telling us that we have to pay for add ons that are due to the system having glitches. They also promise service and fixes that never happen. We have had the system for 18 disappointing months. We hired 2 additional staff just to try to keep up with the glitches in the system and finding workarounds or hand entering.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

This company provided no support. H&P are not even useable. You can't find any information in any useable form. What a JokE? They will take your money and RUN! Nothing they said works. Patients can't enter information. Nurses can't see information. Patients H & P are 15 pages long and full of garbage. Company no help to fix. Worst EMR experience I have ever had. That is saying something with Cerner and EPIC.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Thus far, I love Advanced MD's support team. When I call insurance companies, it's like "eh" but Advanced MD always helps me. They were very slow to get us going in the beginning and we paid more than I thought we should've paid for because we didn't have a system to use. We got one month's cost back though I was not happy that we didn’t get more than that. Despite those issues, their reps are very helpful and I appreciate them. All the training for the billing in the beginning, was wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

We have a lot of times where the software freezes, or it takes its sweet time. And we've been in communication with the AdvancedMD team as well as our internet and tech people. There's something that I wish were a little bit more user-friendly. For instance, for the ultrasound tech. When her ultrasound comes over from the ultrasound machine to put into the patient's chart, she has to put them in one by one which is very, very time-consuming.

And she's been on the phone with them numerous times trying to get this figured out, and they can't seem to find another way to make it easier for her where it's just select all, and they all get inputted. But now that we're learning about it, it's okay. It's manageable now that we know a little bit more about the software. There's just a lot of hiccups that we wish could still get fixed.

The people there have been really good at calling back and trying to get things figured out. But when I do more calling of like client services about claims, I've had a couple calls where they weren't the greatest, meaning I wasn't getting answers and a lot of miscommunication. Things being said one way and then I try to do that, and then I'm told, "No, that's not right." One thing I don't like, and now we're on a better stance because we had to do a different way of communicating, is I was told I couldn't communicate via email because theirs wasn't HIPAA compliant, but then I found out it was.

But my biggest struggle is it's so hard especially with the billing part of it in the software, like there's no way for me to communicate with my AR besides doing an Excel spreadsheet that she did an issue tracker. And it's a lot for me like I have to call in to put in a case to just get a quick answer. So, that's some of the things I'm not a big fan of because it takes a lot of my time to call in, get a case, when I could just reach out to an AR.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Was a relatively happy customer until last few months when features stopped working, tech support and customer support aren't providing feedback or credit for service not functioning. Can no longer recommend this product.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I have a problem with the Advanced MD software that we have every time it's saying that I'm not authorized. I don't know what the issue is because we didn't change anything here. Still, working with AdvancedMD's reps has always been okay. They are easy to call and somebody always responds.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

The AdvancedMD salespeople are amazing and easy to work with in implementation. They’re always, and quickly, able to answer questions. I've been in the business for about 30 years and AdvancedMD is, by far, the leader. I’ve been using it for a good 15 years or more and it's the best software I've ever used. The one I'm using on it right now is a PCP. I wish I could have all my clients on AdvancedMD, but it’s not cost-effective for all of my clients.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

First, I would like to explain that we have a fairly large behavioral health practice. With multiple locations. We were looking for EHR and PM in one system, that could offer analytics for our practice. Billing was truly our main focus, just like most practices. The "98% first pass billing" claim is truly the reason we went with this system, along with customer support in the US. We looked at many systems and now regret our choice.

Our revenue with the first month of billing was disastrous! The claim of 98% first pass billing was nothing short of a lie and when you call support, which by the way is on Mountain time and no help at 8am on Eastern time is a long wait, with average staff who have poor knowledge of the system are seldom able to offer you the assistance you need to solve your questions. Often you find yourself teaching them on a call.

The majority of our claims were denied related to modifiers loaded linked to procedure code, when I brought this to the attention of AdvancedMD staff, I was instructed that my staff would have to manually enter all modifiers because they had no other way of linking these to my fee schedule. I don't have to explain the time that this entails, especially with a practice our size. This again was not what was promised.

The scrubber was sold to be "the same as CMS" and would catch claims that were missing improper modifiers and diagnosis codes needed for clean claims. Well, that is not the full truth. I asked AdvancedMD why we had 90% rejected claims the first month of billing and only had a handful of exclusions, I was instructed that I may want to add "Exclusion Rules". This has been a great feature. However, it was utilized after rejected claims and you are responsible for developing these exclusions for your practice. AdvancedMD only uses one clearinghouse. We are seeing a delay of 7 days from the time we batch our claims until they are received by our carriers. Again, the sells pitch is they are "usually processed within 48 hours". This slows revenue. AdvancedMD has not offered any assistance in resolving this issue, again slow revenue.

Templates: "They are customizable" yes, at an outrageous cost by the configuration team. I would caution any practice with multiple templates to look at other EHR options. This was another issue for our practice. We use standardized screening tools and they were not a part of their provided templates. You will be sold that they have "almost every template you will need" but not for a behavioral health practice. After configuring your templates, you will find that they are not aesthetically pleasing on a printed version. That again will cost you, if you ask for AdvancedMD for assistance.

Analytics, this was also a feature that was important to our office. We track providers productivity each month and share with our staff. The reports we need to avoid manual reporting is not a possibility with this system. You can not pull a report per procedure code during a specified date range. This too fell short of the promises made to our practice. We have invested 90 days into this system and we will not be changing. I wish I had read a review like this, it would have wavered my choice to change to AdvancedMD. If you are a behavioral health practice and would like more in-depth information before making this choice, please don't hesitate to reach out to me to discuss further.

Rebecca at Ethan Health in Richmond, Kentucky.

AdvancedMD author review by Jeffery Daigrepont

AdvancedMD is one of the world’s largest providers of cloud-based software offering an all-in-one EHR and practice management solution. Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, AdvancedMD has 16,000 physicians and 60,000+ users in nearly all medical specialties in all 50 states.

• Cloud-based network: AdvancedMD allows users to sign on from any location allowing immediate data access without downloading or maintaining any software.

• Multiple plans & pricing: AdvancedMD offers four separate pricing plans for scheduling, practice management, integrated PM and EHR, and a full-service RCM – leaving options for every practice and budget.

• Training: AdvancedMD offers multiple training methods including group training, individual training, on-site training, online tutorials, training videos and virtual training.

• Designed for specialists: AdvancedMD software accommodates a wide variety of medical specialists and practices with specific billing or integration needs.

• Customer support: Some complaints about AdvancedMD mention the lack of on-going support within the first year of service. For smaller practices with less internal resources, this could be a problem.

• Required hardware: AdvancedMD recommends Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer and Office for optimal performance which could be a problem for Mac users or those who prefer using different browsers or operating systems.

by Jeffery Daigrepont EHR Software Expert

Jeffery Daigrepont is a best-selling author, national speaker and healthcare IT industry giant. He specializes in healthcare automation, system integration, operations and deployment of enterprise information systems for large integrated delivery networks. Daigrepont is currently the senior vice president at Coker Group.

AdvancedMD questions and answers

What is something you wish every consumer knew about AdvancedMD?
    We’re committed to saving your private practice by helping you improve clinical outcomes and lower the overall cost of healthcare.
    What sets AdvancedMD apart from the competition?
    With 65 years of experience and $12 billion in annual revenue, AdvancedMD is one of the most trusted brands in the world and is proud to offer comprehensive, cloud-hosted software that’s designed to help your practice succeed.
    What problem is AdvancedMD trying to solve?
    AdvancedMD helps private practices survive and thrive in the ever-changing landscape of increasing compliance and reimbursement challenges.
    What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    We automate nearly every aspect of your workflow, from scheduling to charting to billing, on an easy-to-use, single-login cloud platform. We also provide big data analytics that help you identify and capitalize on revenue opportunities.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry? Your company?
    It’s a myth that the independent medical practice is disappearing into hospital employment for physicians. We see that trend reversing as private practices take advantage of the latest workflow automation and analytics technologies. We don’t see ourselves as just a healthcare company, we see ourselves as advocates and supporters of independent physicians and their patients.
    How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
    We’ve seen dramatic increases in compliance challenges for the independent medical practice including ANSI 5010, ICD 10, Meaningful Use and now MACRA. Physician shortages have also increased due to the ACA introducing 40 million new patients into the healthcare system.
    How does AdvancedMD measure success?
    Client loyalty, as measured by the Net Promoter system, coupled with bottom-line financials is how we gauge our success. We continue to exceed both our financial and client retention targets.

AdvancedMD Company Information