toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I started looking into a medical billing software because I was not using a particular one before, as I was doing a solo practice. We did house billing, which was more cost-effective than outsourcing to a regular billing company. It was easy purchasing AdvancedMD, and their staff was quite helpful. However, I can't say how it's going to be in the long run because the practice is new and the volume is low or slow, and most of it was cash-based. We just submitted two bills to insurance companies, and we'll see.

We're into medical practice particularly a medical doctor – Gastroenterologist. We’re already a client of AdvancedMD for 2-3 years now. I’m happy with them because they help me. However, it's a very small practice and the Gastroenterologist is the only doctor. We do the scheduling with practice fusion and then we do billing with AdvancedMD. Lately I realized that there were new people who take longer to help out when we call for help, but they’re always trying to help which is a good thing. They help me to fix. They’re very nice, kind, very professional and they also try to invite me to a seminar. I like working with AdvancedMD.

We purchased the practice management package from AdvancedMD. We liked it at the time and one of the doctors here liked the way it was financed. Their staff is friendly and helpful. If they do not know the answer to my question, they will find out for me. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The mental health business that I got hired on is running with AdvancedMD. They got it about a month before I started working there. We have almost full service except a few different add-ons - we have the HER side and the practice management side, too. AdvancedMD's staff are friendly, very personable, and always willing to help. The only thing is that I typically am able to figure out the answer I'm looking for by myself. They don't know the answer if it's regarding the billing setup. They had issues with billing under one provider or having an alternate ID without setting up an alternate thing so billing at one insurance is different than other insurances. They didn't even ask me how I figured it out or do anything. I don't like that with the billing side, we have to babysit it to make sure it's going out right. If it's not set up correctly, then we have to go back and do a lot of research to figure out what's going on with it.

Still, the system is user-friendly. I feel like our productivity has increased a lot since I've taken over billing but when I first got hired, I'm out with scheduling so AdvancedMD would have made it pretty easy. I also think that having a community in the area which uses the same system as us, being able to have an open forum, talking with each other so we can help each other out would be nice. However here in Idaho Falls, the closest contacts are far away.

My workplace has been a customer of AdvancedMD for many years. We got the package that includes practice management, CHR, RCM, and EHR. Recently, we also got the Advanced Fax. I like that we can look things up through various ways. It doesn't always have to be their name, it could be their home phone number. That might be a flaw that it doesn't have all the numbers being looked up, but those are nice things. Also, their staff are very professional and helpful almost all the time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AdvancedMD?

Where do I begin... The purpose of an Electronic Health Records systems is for medical providers to be able to keep records of medical visits and send medications. "Advanced"MD has not delivered on these two VITAL aspects of being an EHR company. In our very busy outpatient psychiatric clinic -we have DAILY technical issues with this software and the response of this company has been SUBSTANDARD at best.

In addition to all of this is their poor response time. To this day I have never received phone calls back on items I brought up to their technical staff when they said they would. One technical person said he would call me in 20 minutes - never happened. Another technical person (Jacob) said he would call next day... never heard from him again. I have called and left messages with Hilary - no returned calls.

Our first MAJOR issues - which is STILL an issue - is the fact that AdvancedMD has a glitchy eprescribe system. It is a daily concern of ours that this company has had continued negligence in getting medications to patients via the pharmacies we try to send medications to. I personally have spoken to the technical staff at AdvancedMD and noted that PATIENTS ARE AT A HEALTH RISK IF THEY DO NOT GET THEIR MEDICATIONS. AdvancedMD agreed -but has done virtually nothing to assist with daily technical errors (Pending Acceptance, Pending with DrFirst etc.) This company could care less if they hurt someone because we cannot send medications. One doctor here uses another EHR because of AMD's inability to fix the problem. Another doctor uses extra time, precious time, to call in medications to the pharmacies.

They NEVER accepted the fault of these prescription errors - and they honestly wanted me to call every pharmacy when I have an error (also taking up time) and rattle off an alphanumerical transaction ID for EACH prescription THEY could not send to the pharmacy. RIDICULOUS!!! I'm NOT calling these in each time a prescription fails!

I'm writing this review today because our office is experiencing a BRAND NEW error! A technical error that is not saving medical notes for the doctors. Upon calling "Advanced"MD they stated, "we know there is a problem. Everyone in your office is having it. We are working on it but we don't know when it will be fixed - and all of our clients are experiencing this." I hope it doesn't take weeks... because our other issues having been going on for MONTHS! Need a new EHR... look somewhere else!

AdvancedMD support is not as knowledgeable as they should be, the level 1 in particular. They should have specific representatives assigned to clinics that are knowledgeable with using the system. When I talk to tier 1, I’ve been in the system years longer than they have and most of the time I know more than they do. Every time they update something, they break something up. We used to have an awesome eligibility system and we don’t trust it at all. So we’re paying for a broken system again. A lot of frustrations and I’m not the only one out there.

We're a pediatric practice, and the software that we had was very old and wasn't supported for the new generation. AdvancedMD is compatible to the Practice Fusion that we already use. Purchasing it was very easy. I like the fast turnaround for service. I call in and they help right then and there and don’t have to wait for a call back. It’s an excellent experience.

I’ve been using Advanced for years, since I used to be in private practice. We got now the full package, except we did not do the health records. We have a separate dermatology health director for that. We only use it for the practice side. They always seem to be advancing every so often, so they always update and it’s also user-friendly.

I'm practicing neurology and our current software did not have all the electronic features we needed so we got the Practice Management and the EHR from AdvancedMD. It's robust than a lot of the other companies we looked at. It seemed like it would do a lot for us in terms of verifying patient eligibility and a lot of the things that we were doing ourselves that the system can sometimes do for us.

The purchasing process was not too bad. There were contact people. This process, I know would've been tough no matter who we picked. The only downside was it took me a very long time to get used to not having somebody on-site at any time. That was a little bit of a disadvantage, especially for the first time we purchased a system like that. Sometimes you feel a little more confident when there's somebody on-site.

Doing all the training online took a little getting used to. The doctors' training was a little more stopgap because they had to figure out when they were gonna take their training and sometimes I feel like they don’t' really have a full grasp of the EHR side so I'm not sure if that was a training deficit or what. Sometimes they complain about it not being the most user-friendly for them. But in the end, we all learned what we needed to learn and were able to follow through with that. I do most of the billing and I'm able to take care of what I need through online chat but once in a while, I've had to call in and make a case and everything eventually gets resolved.

We're in a transition and it's been difficult to ask for whatever we needed, so there's been a lot of back and forth. But, overall, everybody at AdvancedMD is great as well as the service. We have the practice management, no EHR. We use the scheduler and we print off payments and notes. I like the system myself. What we don't like is that there's a totally different charge to be able to implement a different submitter ID. The doctor is not happy about it.

We were looking for someone that would take care of problems and upgrades for us, so we purchased the PM and EHR from AdvancedMD. When we come across a problem they always answer pretty quickly. They're really good. Sometimes it’s hard over the phone to get things explained or for them to understand but that’s not anybody’s problem.

The doctor signed up with AdvancedMD and does all his billing and other stuff like scheduling patients' appointments with their medical software system. I'm computer illiterate, so the AdvancedMD team are very helpful when I call, and I don't have any problems with them. They always answer my questions and help me solve my problems. I have a question though on how to put in a new patient who calls into that appointment thing because he's not in our system yet. I haven't been able to do that at all. But every time I call them about something that I'm having trouble with, I forget to ask them about that issue.

We're a primary care and general practice clinic and we wanted something that was more well-rounded that did billing and claims submission. Then our clinic manager heard about AdvancedMD from somebody else that used it before. So far, AdvancedMD has been efficient and they all seem really helpful. However, they could use more reports and they need to have an area where a client can request a report to be made.

AdvancedMD is great. The technology that they’re offering is more superior than any other billing provider that we tried. Purchasing the software was easy. It was a quick and painless experience overall.

I have an ophthalmology practice and started with AdvancedMD three years ago. I like the way the service works, the customer service is good, and I would recommend them. However, I'm not as pleased with the reporting system. Some of it's great, but some of it's not, basically because their system is accrual-based and not cash-based, and we're a cash-based business as most medical offices are, so that makes it a little difficult. But it's just a timing issue so I accommodate and they help me with that. There's one gentleman who does reports really well. I'm report-oriented and I like working with him. He helped me find those reports, so that was a good connection to make. Other than that, I haven't made too many individual connections because anybody who answers the phone seems to be able to handle things pretty well.

The reps are really knowledgeable, or they get you to somebody who is, if it's a new problem. A lot of times, it's an existing problem and they're able to say, "Yeah, we're working on it. We know it's there," and they can fix it pretty well. I can share my computer screen with Customer Support, and they can come in and look. They've interfaced with our AHR system, which is great. In addition, they keep up-to-date with all of the newest things that the government throws at us, which is great, too, and that keeps them busy.

Everything has to be done electronically and the system that we were using was not being updated anymore. I went with AdvancedMD for the ease of use and I have their practice management. We’ve had several different salespeople and TJ was fantastic. But we no longer have him as our salesperson and we get pushed around to different places now all of a sudden. Other than that, I like the system. It works very well and I would recommend it.

We’ve been very happy with AdvancedMD. It's very user-friendly and has a lot of good applications on it. It has a help section, videos for you to learn, and a dashboard that gives new and updated information. Anytime there is an issue, their support has been wonderful. They’ve always been able to resolve our questions and issues. It’s been a very positive experience.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The software was ok once we finally got it installed. It is so restrictive on the platforms it will run on and even with multiple techie people helping I was never able to get it installed on one of my computers. Once the initial training was over (which was very good - the trainer was excellent) if I had any problems, I basically had to figure it out by myself. I was unable to print claims and the technical guy told me that I needed a newer version of Office so I upgraded to Office 365 and then they told me that was not supported. To make a long story short, I found a better system and left after my contract was up but I was unable to get any of my data to transfer. I finally got most of it by a lot of work and printing, but there was a few things that I was unable to get before my key expired.

I asked them for one more day or even one more month to get the rest of the information. I even offered to pay an extra month. They said, "Sure - if you pay us $300 extra to reactivate the key." Ridiculous. Up until that point I was actually going to give them a decent review. When I first chose this software it was owned by ADP. Since it was sold it has been awful. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

I've used the software within a practice from a few years ago and I frequently refer their services as I am currently consulting – I DO NOT RECEIVE ANY FUNDS FOR REFERRING THEIR BUSINESS. They are one of 3 vendors who I am 100% confident in referring. The software is very reliable and very stable. There isn't much you can't do with this system. It is both robust and simple. I have consulted with many practices who are using AdvancedMD and tell me they are not happy. The first thing I do is train them on capabilities. Once they are trained I work with them on custom content. Usually in less than two weeks they change their minds on the power of AdvancedMD. The trick with AdvancedMD is ALL in the setup. If you do not dedicate time to learning the system, it will prove to be inadequate.

If you have done your diligence and take the time to learn how to use the tools – you will never need another system! BUYING TIP: Keep your salesperson in the loop if you have struggles. Their sales reps do not get paid commission unless they stay for 4-6 months. You can use this to get their help if you ever get stuck. Also be aware of the one year contract – they are usually pretty fair. If they make a mistake, they don't enforce the contract, but if you try to leave without a just reason they will heavily enforce. Thankfully, it's only a one year.

I am an RN and master's degree student. This is the absolute worst EHR I have ever had the displeasure to use in my 20 years of nursing. Their customer support is absolutely horrible. We have been unable to use the messaging system for our office since integrating the system 5 months ago. There is no way to let the providers know that schedule 2 medications have been checked and are ready to refill from the tools/refill request section. Lab has been unable to be integrated for 2 months since the request was made and all the information was provided.

Every time tech support is called their answer to every question is "Our system does not do that and there is no way we can help you," or "We will make a ticket for it" which is never completed or is "sent to the next tier." Which I think must be code for "we have given up on it because we don't know what we are doing." Nursing note sections are limited to 500 characters?? In a psychiatric office, that is a joke. Again technical support says, "There is no way we can help you." I have no idea why this company is even allowed to own an EHR system. They are so inadequately equipped to deal with the needs of a medical/psychiatric office and are unwilling to adapt to the needs of their clients.

I found the sales group to be very aggressive, and non-informational that their product does not work with a MAC unless you buy parallels for the MAC, which significantly slows down the computer. When I learned that this was the case, I could not access any of the program, and despite multiple calls and leaving my cell number, I have not been treated well - nor have I been released from the contract. Buyer Beware.

Be aware with Advanced MD, if you change to another EHR software company Advanced MD does not have a user-friendly means of unlocking your patient records for you to transfer to another software product or for records transfer for patients. When requesting copy of all of our patient records because we were leaving, we were charged an outrageous fee and given a file that is basically useless. It is set up by date seen. So you can only retrieve that patient's information on a given day, but only after looking through every PDF file for that particular day, and you still cannot access any other patient data. That leaves you as a provider without access to any of your patient's medical records. That cannot be legal, for now I have access to pt. records while Advanced MD tries to "figure out" this problem. Beware!!

I was contacted by a member of the sales team from AdvancedMD on my personal cell phone via text message looking for information on a doctor in my area. I responded to the text by stating this was a personal cell phone and that they should contact the doctor's office if they would like contact information. I later got an email on my work email from this same sales rep asking for the same information. At this point I was extremely uncomfortable that someone was googling me and contacting me about medical software when my email address as well as work web page made it very clear that I am not in the medical profession!

I called 3 different numbers and spoke with 5 different people before I was finally contacted by a supervisor. I told the supervisor what my issue was only to receive the response "we do that all the time". He then went on to insult me on a professional as well as personal level and tell me that my reaction to this matter was absurd. He doesn't know who would ever choose to work with me and that they are a multimillion dollar company so they can do what they want. I was then told there was a legal department on premise and if I wanted I could take it up with them, to which I responded and asked if I could have their name and contact information.

A that point I was told "If you care that much go ahead and google it". I later contacted the local doctor's office whom this sales rep was trying to contact, and spoke with their office manager who told me she had been receiving calls and email for over 2 months and had mentioned to this salesperson several times that they were NOT interested and to no longer contact them. Being a person in sales myself, I want to know at what point does a company realize they are taking things too far and since when do supervisors have the right to insult people? What when he heard I was not in the medical field and there was no potential of me becoming a customer he felt he was free to say anything he wanted? Well guess what sir, my husband actually works in the administrative department at a local hospital, and I can guarantee he will not recommend your products to the doctor's he does work directly with.

I signed onto AdvancedMD so I could do professional component billing but the software needed to be integrated into another AdvancedMD client. The salesperson promised we would have no problem doing this. We ran into an issue of not being able to integrate as needed. The salesperson had promised verbally that we would be able to take care of this issue. After this could not be done and paying them 4 months of fees I explained that we could not use their software as it did not meet our needs as promised. They did not let me cancel and kept billing me for the year and then they turned it over to an attorney with added fees. I would advise that you know who you are dealing with before doing business with them as they may not be the people you may want to deal with in case your billing process does not work out.

Software itself is very user friendly, however, we also pay them to do our billing and the follow up on outstanding claims is non existent. In the honeymoon phase we had people readily available to assist, but now (2 years in), unless you hound them through support tickets you have to file, the outstanding claims end up written off due to no follow up on their end. Occasionally we get a contact person that we can email, but after about 2 email responses they tell you to go back to support or they don't answer their emails anymore. They are totally unfamiliar with our specialty and our BCBS guidelines. They all seem to work from home, I'm tired of hearing their children & animals during calls. Trying to get them to link new credentialing for providers is a nightmare.

They changed eRx companies in 2014 & we have yet to get up & running with the new company they use, but they have billed us for it every month! Worst billing service I have used in 25 years but our revenue is tied up with them so it makes it hard to switch. If you're thinking about it, change your thought process while you can!

I think ADP's customer support can improve, but the system is very good.

I practice general surgery and I first heard about AdvancedMD through some information that came in the mail. We spoke to the sales staff on the phone a couple of times. They did a demonstration of the system and we liked it, so we bought it. I purchased the practice management package. Its software was quick and easy, and it's a very simple system to use so I would recommend it.

We’re getting started with ADP so we’re starting to get trained on how to use the product. So far, the experience has been horrible because the entire process has been painful. Nothing is going right and there has been a lot of direction. Everything we try to do, according to what they said we needed to do didn't work and needed to get them to do more than I think what they're used to doing. It's taken much longer than it ever should have and it’s been a painfully mind numbing and awful experience. We’ve been clear about how difficult this experience has been so ADP is aware of our feelings.

We used the product at another time for another business and that’s why we chose to use it this time for this business and they changed so many things. If we didn't already know how to use the product and know what it was capable of doing, there’s no way I would even persist with what we started. It’s nothing like our first experience, that’s how bad it is. The people are fine and it’s not about the people that we were working with. It’s the way that they have things set up which is mind blowingly bad. We keep asking questions and everybody is friendly, happy and peppy but that doesn’t help me when they don’t do it right, and that’s what’s been happening.

ADP’s system is online and they’re the cheapest, which makes them great. We are a medical billing company but I can sit here in my office and my client can be in a different office because of the online technology. We also like it that we didn't have to deal with servers, which was one of our main concerns and was the biggest thing when we purchased ADP six years ago. Because of that, we also didn't have to deal with the price part involving servers. Purchasing ADP wasn't difficult at all and even now, every time we add a provider, we don’t have any problems. Moreover, there's one particular person that we deal with and we don’t have any problems with him at all. He always responds to any kind of need we have. There are some features in the system that sometimes I wish were a little different but overall, ADP is great.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AdvancedMD is one of the world’s largest providers of cloud-based software offering an all-in-one EHR and practice management solution. Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, AdvancedMD has 16,000 physicians and 60,000+ users in nearly all medical specialties in all 50 states.

• Cloud-based network: AdvancedMD allows users to sign on from any location allowing immediate data access without downloading or maintaining any software.
  • Multiple plans & pricing: AdvancedMD offers four separate pricing plans for scheduling, practice management, integrated PM and EHR, and a full-service RCM – leaving options for every practice and budget.
  • Training: AdvancedMD offers multiple training methods including group training, individual training, on-site training, online tutorials, training videos and virtual training.
  • Designed for specialists: AdvancedMD software accommodates a wide variety of medical specialists and practices with specific billing or integration needs.
  • Customer support: Some complaints about AdvancedMD mention the lack of on-going support within the first year of service. For smaller practices with less internal resources, this could be a problem.
  • Required hardware: AdvancedMD recommends Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer and Office for optimal performance which could be a problem for Mac users or those who prefer using different browsers or operating systems.
  • Best for Specialized physicians, independent physicians, large medical practices