Penn Foster High School

Compare Online High Schools

Research top Online High Schools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Their material and "professors" are outdated. They expect me to draw blood from a fake balloon which I understand given we’re working with animals but then they expect me to submit a video where I have to force a gastrointestinal tube down a live animal throat and administer fake meds. I even got an email from the "professor" let's call her "Rachel" because that's her real name, telling me to do it behind the owner’s back. This is not practical, illegal and completely inhumane to the animal. I will file for an BBB investigation and submit my emails to them.

I asked for help on this online class and this is "what happened". I couldn't believe it. AND THEY KEPT MY MONEY AND ARE TRYING TO TAKE MORE?

Please read. The bookkeeping program is all online. There is no option to have printed material sent to you. Anything you want printed, you will need to print out for yourself. "From the instructor". I then replied with and received no response? Very rude and don't help.

I had a feeling, Thank you. When I did the high school program years ago they had the option for both. This program should have stated it in the agreement in the billing contract there is "no mailing. Only online". (If need you will need to print and or buy a printer for this class.) I worked in bookkeeping/accounting/collections employment in the past years. I've never seen some of this "teaching". I'm lost for words to describe this class. Hello, your account has been cancelled. Thank You. WHAT THE **?

First off the hold times are horrible. Secondly, I had enrolled my son and they instantly took the full amount even though I never had an option for any payment plan. I called. They indicated I would receive a refund for the difference between the amount down and the full amount. I call to check on why it's been a week and the money has yet to be returned. I was told by their support again another 20 minute hold, that it takes two weeks. So two weeks passes they refund the difference but instantly take it back. So I call again this time a 1-hour hold and was told it will take 2 more weeks. This organization is completely disorganized. They also told me that it is not uncommon for people to sign up and take the full amount of tuition. STAY AWAY.

Hi, we enrolled my son in Penn Foster for High School at the recommendation of another family that used it. Their 4 children all graduated from Penn Foster and went on to college and did well in college. That said, it is very, very basic education. You take 2 classes at a time, each class lasts around a month. When you finish one class, it opens the next class so you always have 2 classes open. There are a total of 102 'lessons' divided between about 22 classes. Each lesson takes 1 to 10 days to complete. For example, Earth Science includes 6 lessons and you complete it in a month. Math is Basic Math I and II and Consumer Math, nothing else.

On the one hand, it's an easy diploma. On the other hand, if my ADHD son is complaining that it is too easy, it says something about the level of education you receive. Depending on what you're looking for, it might be just the right thing, however, it's not for everyone. On the positive side, they've been very responsive to phone calls, set-up and questions.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Accredited in 1972, Penn Foster High School is located in and licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools. The school has a focus on lifelong learning as well as traditional high school education.

• Early college program: Students of Penn Foster can receive college credits with the Early College electives program. Though guarantees of credit transfer cannot be made, courses are ACE evaluated and recommended.
  • Concentration diplomas: Penn Foster offers high school diplomas with a concentration in more specific areas of study, including carpentry, electrical, plumbing, tech and healthcare.
  • Flexible payment plans: Families can pay the full cost of tuition upfront or set up monthly automatic withdrawals or manual payments. Payment plans are interest free.
  • Career cruising: Penn Foster partners with Career Cruising to provide career guidance services for all students and alumni.
  • Accreditation: Penn Foster High School is accredited nationally by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) and regionally by the Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
  • Best for Students with other commitments, homeschooled students, working adults and military families.

Compare Online High Schools