Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.33/5

American High School offers accredited programs in college prep and career-focused online courses for K-12 students and adults. Programs are flexible and range in topics from academic to technical. The company’s mission is to make the curriculum fit the student instead of forcing the student to fit the curriculum..

BOTTOM LINE

American High School offers online learning for K-12 students and adult learners. Tuition can be paid in installments, and the courses are interactive and fully accredited.

PROS

• Monthly payment options
  • Fully accredited
  • AP curriculum available

CONS

• Technology requirements

Top American High School Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American High School?

My son Aaron, was enrolled for the first time at American High School late October, 2019. He has enjoyed the classes and gained much knowledge. We would highly recommend American High School to anyone.

I'm in American High School, I'm studying for international baccalaureate. ... I really like AHS, it's making me strong and always take my time in learn a lot things that can help me for my life, I'm really enjoying it and I appreciate all my teachers do.

American High School curriculum

American High School offers online high school, online middle school, online elementary school, home school, summer school and college prep courses. The school also offers NCAA-approved courses for student-athletes and a dual-diploma program for high school students who live outside of the United States. American High School holds several accreditations, including one from AdvancED, the Department of Education’s approved accrediting body.

• Elementary school program: American High School’s elementary curriculum is designed to help children learn the basics of reading, math, science, social studies, art and music. Depending on the grade, the courses may include instruction on geometry, geography, history, writing and language as well as physical education activities designed to keep kids active.
    • Middle school program: The middle school program is designed to expand education for sixth through eighth grade students and foster independence and responsibility in learning. Sixth grade courses include language arts, math, comprehensive science and world history. Seventh grade courses include language arts 2, math 2, comprehensive science 2 and U.S. history. In eighth grade, students take language arts 3, math 3, comprehensive science 3 and civics.
    • High school program: The high school curriculum features fully interactive courses for all students as well as Advanced Placement and honors courses for advanced students. Courses continue in the same core groupings as the middle school curriculum: English, science, math and social studies.
    • Summer school: The summer school program can be used by students looking for credit recovery or additional academic growth.
    • Adult learner program: In addition to its K-12 education, American High School offers courses for adult learners. Whether you’re returning to high school to earn your GED or taking professional development courses in topics like nursing, web design or business entrepreneurship, there are adult-friendly courses designed to fit into your busy life.

American High School tuition

American High School tuition ranges from $1,450 to $2,195 per course program (grade level).

• Online elementary school: $1,895
    • Online middle school: $2,195
    • Online high school: $2,895
    • Adult learner program: $1,695
    • NCAA program: $4,000

The school operates off a monthly tuition fee payment plan, so you’re not expected to pay a large lump sum at once.

American High School FAQ

Is American High School accredited?
    Yes, American High School holds several accreditations, including one from AdvancED. Other accreditations include The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement, National Council for Private School Accreditation and Accreditation International. American High School is also an NCAA-approved online school for student-athletes.
    How do you enroll in American High School?
    Enrolling in American High School is simple and can be completed on the school's website by selecting “Enroll now” on the program you’re interested in.
    Can you take individual classes with American High School?
    Yes. You can take individual courses with American High School through the summer school program and adult learner program.
    What is American High Schoool’s Dual Diploma program?
    The Dual Diploma program is designed for students outside of the United States. The program lets students earn two high school diplomas simultaneously — one in their country of residence and another from a U.S. high school. The Dual Diploma program is designed for high-school level courses only, and students must be at least 14 years of age to enroll.

Is American High School worth it?

Online education is becoming more common and can be a great way for students with different needs and desires to get a quality education. American High School holds all the necessary accreditations for students and parents to feel confident they’re getting a quality education. We recommend checking out the course curriculum (the school's course catalog is easily accessible on its website) and talking to a school representative about your student’s learning style.

American High School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American High School?

Original review: July 3, 2020

Based on a person's situation, American High School might be a good option. The cost is affordable but the quality of education is mediocre. I wish they had more differentiation as far as how they teach their courses. I’m a teacher myself and I don't think that there's enough connection to real world situations. It's easy for kids to get lost in curriculum, just reading a book and not being able to apply what they've learned to the real world. Just reading a textbook and taking an assessment are not enough to prepare you for college and for you to be able to apply what you've learned. However, I do like that you have the opportunity to retake an assessment to improve your grades.

My daughter is doing pretty well but she sometimes struggle to stay focused because just reading a book and looking at a video can become really boring. I hope they would incorporate more projects to diversify it a little bit and to give them more hands-on experience. I didn't really like the social environment at my zone school and that's why I chose to do online schooling. But I don’t know if we will return next school year. I love Brianna though. She’s awesome. If I have any questions about how my daughter is doing, if she's on track or about what she needs to do to stay on track, that's who I call. There is a lot of work. I feel like it's a lot more rigorous than a regular school and my daughter has never done this before. But Brianna has been really cool and helpful.

Original review: July 2, 2020

My son was having issues in public school and he had a really rough couple of years with depression. I figured that to get him out of that scene, it would be better for him to do online schooling. American High School's price was amazing and it's a lot cheaper than a lot of other ones that I found. I like that because I'm a single mom with two kids. My mom had to pay for this for me, but she's not gonna be able to pay too much longer. So I'm gonna have to take over. It's 85 a month and I can afford to do it, which I'm pretty grateful for.

I'm surprised that American High School's price is so cheap because of the way they have everything set up online and we're able to chat with the teachers. I can also call our counselor anytime, day or night, and she's there to help us. Also, everybody's personable there and I really like it. Our interactions with their school reps were awesome and I love them there. They're so nice, they answer all our questions, and they're always there to help if we need them. My son was doing seven classes with them including PE, algebra, and social studies. But he stopped for a little bit because of the summer, so next month we're gonna get back on the ball and get rolling again. He really enjoys it.

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2020

We started with the idea before the pandemic, but we are business owners so we are back and forth between three different states. It was really hard to handle the kids every time we fly. We looked at websites and read all the reviews. I also ask my daughters about what they thought about three different options. They said that they liked one. The enrollment process was easy. We are very new to this kind of thing and the beginning was a little confusing for us. But months later, we were comfortable. The Interactions with the teachers are really good. My seven-year-old is not that social a person, but she said that she was fine. When she is confused, she just texts them. She has a website and is in contact with them directly every day. We’re very happy with the school.

Thanks Graciela!

We are extremely delighted and excited that your daughters like our program.

We strive to make it as easy as possible to enroll and our teachers and counselors work extremely closely with all of our students, as that's the most important part of online education.

The staff, administration, and everyone at American High School appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback.

Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2020

My stepdaughter was in traditional high school, and it was her ninth-grade year, and she failed every academic class. She really wanted to take health careers in the career and tech at the school that's in my area. They were gonna make her be a 10th grader, even though she had failed all of 9th grade, they were gonna double up her classes so she could still be a 10th grader.

But if they did that, she wouldn't have been able to have health careers. In order to be able to let her have health careers, we decided to start homeschooling her. I looked up online schooling and I really liked them and I liked their price. They weren't too bad compared to some of the others because it's pretty expensive, the homeschooling costs 2000-a-grade for them. American High School is on the cheaper end.

As of right now, with COVID, her last year right now in health career, she was supposed to get her CNA license. She was almost there. They started going to the nursing homes. But then, that got cut off, and she wasn't able to take the CNA test, and she lost out on that. Now, this has gone nuts because she's supposed to go back next year for her EMT license. That one costs a lot to do out-of-pocket and the school plans to pay for almost all of it. This one's gonna be huge. But if they're not going to do it, why am I paying 2000 a class to have her at home? I don't know if I wanna pay that for the next two years if they're gonna pull this again next year and keep all the kids at home. It's really scary and she doesn't want any part of it either. She doesn't wanna do this class at home, not learning anything.

These last few months, she got 80s and 100s on everything, but she didn't actually learn anything. She wasn't in a class with the bed, the sink, and all the different medical equipment. Right now, for this, to having her take videos, and she's gotta pretend to wash her hands and pretend to move you into a chair. Pretending isn't doing and it's driving us nuts. But they're really excellent. I really love American High School. All my concerns have nothing to do with them themselves.

American High School has been very on-the-ball, for the most part, especially the counselors. They're very wonderful and helpful. Anytime you need them, you just either email them or call them, and they get back to you as soon as they can. They're always right there. Sometimes, it does take within 24 hours to get a hold of somebody. But they're in Florida. I'm in Rhode Island. And school’s seven days a week for them. I don't know each of their own particular schedules. They usually have them posted, though, for the children. Most of the counselors can even help you through most of the stuff that you think you need your teacher for, but you don't. They have a lot of knowledge.

You can either work at your own pace, or you can attend a class with the teachers. She tends to work at her own pace and not go onto the actual classes themselves. She really dragged her feet in the very beginning. Then, all of a sudden just pulled it out of her bum, just cranking right through it. It was amazing. They went from like doing an assignment a month to doing five a day. My stepdaughter also went from failing everything to being an honor student. After her ninth-grade class was over, they offered for her to go into honors classes, and that's something she would have never been offered in regular high school.

Becca

Thanks for the feedback. American High School strives to keep our online education offerings affordable for parents. I'm glad that you found the tuition priced within your range.

It's great that your daughter is able to do both her academic curriculum for 9th grade and health careers. Doubling up her coursework doesn't seem practical or realistic to ensure her success.

We're happy you chose us and will continue to work hard to keep her on pace to graduate.

Original review: May 28, 2020

We were not happy with what our daughter was getting on the private school and in the area where we're living, a public school is not really safe so we tried something else. It was very nice with the rep at American Hight School. Any time I call, they call me back. We can talk honestly and they help. And it looks like our daughter is doing much better. Last year, she got behind and stopped and they were asking me for an extra $1000 but I was happy to pay for it because it’s helping her.

Istvan

I'm just glad that we were there in the assist. Making decisions like this can't be easy, and we're just glad that she is enjoying her online education experience at American High School.

The counselors try and keep the students on task to complete their courses on time, but sometimes they do get behind, so we will continue to try to keep on motivated and working to complete her studies.

If you need anything at all please do not hesitate to contact us.

Administration

Original review: July 8, 2020

I live in Bridgeport, Connecticut and the school system on the public schools is not that good. My son was supposed to go to a high school that he doesn't like at all. They go by district so he said that he wanted to go online schooling. We took that as our other choice and he started looking and he liked American High School. We talked to Brianna and Pedro and he got in there. It was a first time for us so sometimes if we have any problem or any concern, we call Brianna or Pedro or anybody in there and they help us out real fast. So far, we haven't any problem with them. It's been very good.

American High School response

Thank you Aixa! We are so happy to have Joel as one of our students. If you ever need anything, please let us know. Thank you for joining American High School and being a part of our school community!

Original review: June 27, 2020

My daughter goes to American Hight School and we chose to enroll in there because she had severe anxiety and we needed time to work on that. The counselor at the high school had given us a few recommendations and American High School was one of them. Since we enrolled there, it has helped. She got better grades doing online school than in high school. Also, for her courses, she has more of a variety to choose from versus what she had to take at school. She really likes that and I like that as well. She's taking Forensic Science right now. She mainly took the electives – cosmetology, theater, film. Looking at the cost and quality of the education, I think it's perfect. The cost could be way higher and it's not. I don't like the fact that I have to pay for it. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

Original review: June 12, 2020

American High School was the best option for us. The cost is not that bad. My daughter, Mariah, found it. In doing research, she picked the school that she wanna go to. We tried it out and liked it. It worked well, so we continued with it. The enrollment was good. The school staff checks on Mariah and sends me email. They send me her progress report and let me know about her grades. They’re good. Mariah is learning a lot. She’s maintained As and Bs. She likes it.

American High School response

Thank you Michelle for your review.

American High School is extremely happy that your daughter is doing well and continues to excel. If she needs anything at all please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Sincerely

Administration

Original review: June 8, 2020

We have had an absolutely amazing experience! Everyone I have talked to has been amazing and very helpful! Thank you to Brianna ** for all your help!! I dont know what I would have done without you!!

Hi Dana

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I will be sure to let Brianna know your comments, I'm sure she will be pleased.

If we can be of service or you need anything at all please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: June 1, 2020

The school work was very in depth, I feel Iearned enough to get through the classes however, the tests where very tricky and specific, often leading to incorrect answers. The teachers where nice, I did not have much contact with them, and had to figure most things out myself.

Original review: May 29, 2020

We were looking for a good online school and I was recommended by someone to American High School. Both of my grandkids have been taking classes there. I don’t think the personnel communicated much as they should. I'm a school teacher myself and I know how teachers are supposed to stay in touch with parents. I don’t think this school does. They used to do enough, but when they had to change over, they made some changes, and unfortunately, they weren't good changes. The way it was with my first granddaughter was perfect ‘cause I used to get notices when she did homework. I got the whole booklet from them, so I felt like I was a part of everything. But with my other granddaughter, I feel left out in the cold. The learning experience has been okay, but the grading system is hard because they have it based on percentage factor.

There's one young lady, Brianna and she has been tremendous. She has been the pillar of strength for that place. She stays in touch with us. She's been doing her best to make sure that we get what we need. She's really running herself ragged to make sure that we've been getting all the help that we need and trying to get things done. But one young lady can't run the school by herself. We need everybody connected. And every counselor assigned to a child should be the one that’s reaching out, not the ambassador, but the actual counselor. I don’t think they’ve done a good job there. But it's not a bad school.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I think content should include more educational videos and interactive content. Some content, specifically end of unit projects in social studies and science, takes my child a lot longer than the lesson indicates it should and my child needs a great deal of help with it. While she does well with them, I feel they are above her grade level in difficulty.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I'm in American High School, I'm studying for international baccalaureate. I like it, there are some courses that really important and interest but it's so hard work because we have to do different subjects and there's a lot of work for each one so I don't have much free time. To be honest I really like AHS, it's making me strong and always take my time in learn a lot things that can help me for my life, I'm really enjoying it and I appreciate all my teachers do.

Nerlande

Thank you for the wonderful comments. I commend you for studying for the International Baccalaureate. I know that it is extremely rigorous and demanding.

We are glad that you like American High School, despite the heavy workload with IB classes and AHS classes, but you'll see it will be worth all the effort upon graduation.

Keep up the good work and I will let the teachers know that you appreciate and enjoy the courses and their assistance.

Regards

Original review: May 27, 2020

Everything is going great. My daughter is doing well with all her classes. And Ms. Knoop is the best, very friendly and cheerful throughout all it took to get the paperwork to get started with school. Thank you.

Vance

We're happy that everything is going great. I will forward your comments to Ms. Knoop. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to contact us.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Original review: May 27, 2020

As parents of a student switching from regular high school classes to Online classes we were not given any guidance in helping our son to transition. There has been almost a year of time wasted. He is just now starting to grasp the difference and beginning to learn. For almost a year he more or less just clocked hours. Just in the past few days has he actually been learning anything and enjoying his classes. We even wasted an extra $14.95 a month on a tutor that he never used because he couldn't find instructions and he isn't one to ask. At first we would get a call every week then no calls until about February when there was a problem with my credit card. Once that was taken care of never another call. Skyler had to call a few times for his sign on information when we had a computer problem but no one from the school calls.

Original review: May 26, 2020

Why I am sure I can say I had a very good experience with American High School because when I call as a consumer I always find someone very polite and ready to answering and helping students. For the courses the system is very easy to use. When I have a problem the teachers always there to respond and help. I think American high school is doing a very good job. Thank you so much.

Evens

We strive really hard to assist all of our families and students to ensure that you are getting the support you need while completing your online coursework.

Thank you for the very nice compliments. We will be sure to pass them on to the advisors and teachers who assist you on a daily basis.

Regards,

Original review: May 26, 2020

Hello, We had several issues with logging in and passwords changing. We had to download the Firefox browser, which was a major hold up because of the filters on the school's internet access. That is my only complaint. I am happy with the outcome, though, and Elizabeth ** was very helpful and supportive. All of the other staff I interacted with were very nice as well. Thank you, Christy **.

Hi Christy

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that as we want everything to run smoothly, sometimes, it's not the case. However, we do appreciate your patience as we worked through the browser issues and you were able to get started.

We're glad that you are pleased with the outcome and your experience with American High School has been pleasant.

Regards

Rebecca

We love to hear such wonderful feedback! As a parent, when we make the decision to homeschool, it is a tough decision. To know that Aaron is doing well and excelling with American High School means that we're doing exactly what we are supposed to do and that's to educate our children online.

We welcome anyone that you want to recommend to American High School, as referrals are the best way to build our school.

Thank you and have a great day.

American High School Company Information