Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
3.01/5

coloradotech.edu

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

224 Colorado Technical University Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

As someone working full-time, this was a great school for me. I was lucky enough that the campus was near my job anyway. But, like anywhere else, you get out of it what you put into it. I read every assignment. I did every homework assignment. I made it a point to study and understand the topic. I took what I learned and looked for ways to apply it to my job.

Yep, it's easy enough to skate through college if that's what you want. It's also easy enough to blame everyone else for your problems. There were administrative issues. I watched my accounts and followed up immediately when something was wrong. Every issue was taken care of. There were problems with professors -- I liked some and didn't like others. Some I really didn't want to be bothered with at all. But I realize that professors run their classes, so at the end of the day, we do the class and our homework their way. It isn't a big deal - a class only lasts 3 months and then you're off to one you like. Overall, I got out of it what I put into it. And, since I was happy with what I put into it, I was happy with the result as well.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Attended and graduated this university with honors and a 3.8 GPA magna cum laude. They have lied and been deceitful in their billing practices and costs since day one. I was pretty much married to them once I realized that they like another university I attended assign credits that are pretty much useless at other universities as far as transferring credits is concerned. They are also grossly overpriced and have changed how much I owe them on so many occasions I can't even begin to count. Their interest free program is anything but and they eventually sent me to collections anyway even though I had a legally binding payment agreement with them. Did they adhere to it? Absolutely not and why should they?

They know that we are drowning in student loan debt versus their team of lawyers at their for profit university systems that look to exploit students and company tuition programs alike. They look to sell the debt so they can collect multiple times and put your credit at risk while withholding your degree and transcripts until you pay in full. The worst part is I was paying over $300 a month and only had $1400+ dollars left before they unceremoniously sent it to collections with no remorse whatsoever. Shame on you! This is why there are multiple lawsuits against you for this exact type of scrupulous action.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I did the fast track program for a BS in Criminal Justice. I completed it with a 4.0 and honors. However, it’s all theory based (writing essays); no real tests, no hands on learning. I literally learned nothing that would assist me in getting a job within that field of study. I never got a job related to it.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I looked to them to possibly enroll in the fall to start some classes when my life experiences currently are quite chaotic. The admissions adviser said that it's a year-round school and classes start in two weeks. I did send my unofficial transcripts after getting talked into enrolling. First of all, the website online stated they were one of the least costly colleges to enroll at $24,000. My estimate was over $50,000! I signed an application but it would not take my e signature. She told me to try all of my previous names! They ended up using my previous married name.

I talked to my admissions adviser, who uses high-pressure sales to earn her commission, in a follow up call and told her that I had decided to wait until fall to act on pursuing my education. I literally had some terrible news that I needed to take care of in my life and without empathy she said that I am overreacting and that tomorrow the situation will change. She is to follow up with me on Monday.

I thought that I would not receive any further phone calls or emails, but have been berated all day today and last night. I finally sent an email in to the Office of Admissions to formally cancel my enrollment and withdraw my application after another phone call came in. I did remove the school from my FAFSA list. I have not downloaded their app nor have I chose any classes and this is how crazed these people are to finish the process. I do not have a resolution at the moment, only just sent my email a few moments ago, I just wanted people to stay away from this school!

Original review: May 1, 2019

CTU will not release people transcripts premised on the fact and I quote, "You owe over $10,610. Yet, when I witness this call when I heard my cousin speaking to a man named RUSSELL, I almost laughed and did some research. My cousin had withdrawn from this SCAM-related school premise on family issue." As a lawyer is saying, have proof of all that is said everyone. I know she will get her 9 or 12 credits as her legal right and she can't owe the lawyer said because she did NOT attend but a few months, and did not receive ANY monies, at all, not 1 red cent.

Russell caught an attitude when she called him and or #COLORADOTECHUNIVERSITY a scam. “We have proof though, and will be ok with the law firm we have already on it." 1 attorney cites, "Extortion when they are illegally keeping transcript from you, when you're not even with the school (never receive a dime.) Posting this all over the internet, and at least the lawyer said she will get her transcripts and what they are doing is illegal and unethical. Didn't know til' now, we see at FB, Facebook, and Twitter and other sites my lord so many complaints and a class action against Colorado Tech online etc., so many complaints. This is great to see! Hoping the CLASS ACTION suit against COLORADO TECHNICAL SCAM UNIVERSITY is won..." adios.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: April 24, 2019

This school is a joke and money hungry. I took 2 classes with them when I got to my third I decided to change my career path and go back to a different college where I got my last degree, so I decided to withdraw from CTU. Well I talked to a lady and she said if I withdrawn at a certain date, that I will not owe no money, so I did. The withdraw process is a joke, because it took them 3 days to process it, and then when I get completely withdrawn I get a massive bill from them saying I owe them 13,522.00. Out of every college I’ve been too and changed my Career path I have never gotten stuff like this, this school is money hungry that’s all there is to it. I reported them to the financial aid people, next is the BBB. This school is a joke and needs to be shut down. All this for wanting to change to a different school. They're a fraud.

Original review: April 14, 2019

A year in, I called financial aid to check on a stipend, as I was in a tough spot. In 7 different calls, I got 5 different answers. Later, a debt was somehow accumulated, and they called at 7 AM, 7:25 AM, 8 AM, and one lady called 3x at 6 AM, back to back. They don't update their records, they don't respect any agreement, and when I hit them with a cease and desist order, they threatened my enrollment. When I called to complain about the 3x 6 AM lady, I said a single swear word... because it was 6 am, and this had been going on for weeks, with no one taking notes or referencing my timezone. For this single swear word, I was threatened with expulsion. THEY WILL DENY ANY AND ALL WRONGDOING!

Let's move forward with Financial Aid. I was told I was on track to graduate without debt. Want to know where the 6 AM calls came from? Every few months I would check with Financial Aid, but one magical day, the answer about me graduating on time and fine changed from "You sure are!" to "Nope. You're at your aggregate limit, and you're going to go deeper into debt." When I complained, this was the ONLY CALL they could not retrieve in their records, and I was blown off by literally every department head. The Ombudsman sent me a cut-and-paste e-mail citing 3 sentences in a 50 page document that ambiguously labels them as 'no fault' (which is presently being looked into for legality and applicability... yep, we're coming boys :-). Presently, I have a Bachelor's degree that put me $100k in debt.

Next, let's move onto curricula and instructors. I tutor college students, and I have trolled no less than 9 'bird course' teachers, meaning they don't care, as long as you participate. Had one refuse to correct grades that were turned in a day late, which is still on my permanent grades (no one corrected it or regraded). When I followed up with said instructor, I was told that "... I am a part time professor, and this really needs to be forwarded to the IT department." Not joking, and I have the e-mail. In my 3rd from last class, I submitted an assignment (wrongfully) for another class and still got 95%. The best way to spot the 'bird course' instructors is when you get consistent 95% or 90% grades. It makes it seem like the professor is grading, and the comments for the grade will be ambiguous (very vague). This college is a waste of time and money, because at the rate it is going, it will be closed (already settled a class action about 'student loan forgiveness').

Original review: March 28, 2019

Very simple, discrimination by CTU because I was **. CTU assumed (at that time) before I was discriminated against in employment because of my age, that I could afford 600.00 a month to pay in addition to my student loan. Two months later I was laided off from my contractor position because of my age. The contractor wanted a cute party girl ** for their EA for that dept and they got one. I tried to talk to them. It did no good. I was ** of course. As of now I still have not completed my degree because the discrimination against me because I am ** continues. My GPA was 3.94-3.96. ALSO am veteran. CTU keep enrolling me and disenrolling me because of discrimination because I am **. The games & discrimination against me because I am ** need to end now. I will not quit telling people about CTU'S discrimination games against me until I am allowed to complete my degree and they quit discriminating against me because I am **.

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I decided to return to College CTU was my choice because I previously attended. Well I have not been stipend since February of 2018. And then would call and tell me I had to return the money to them because my financial aid did not cover all of my expenses. I found that very weird. So, now they will not stipend anything to me. I never had a problem the first time I attended. I cannot wait to graduate from this school. I feel like I have been scammed.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Since starting CTU in Aug, I got the "cheerleader" from Admissions who clearly is there to pump you up to join the school. After you are admitted, they reach out to you a few times, then suddenly, it's silent. No help. No callback, no response. The learning platform is horrible! I've taken online classes before from another school and so apparently they set the bar high. Nothing astounds me more than to be at a TECH school that has TONS of technical issues with their online platform. The Intellipath is a great learning tool, however, the questions are poorly worded, answers are wrong, the graphical portions never load forcing you to answer the questions incorrectly.

My screen was scattered so badly at one point, that it looked like scrambled alphabet soup. I had to reach out to tech support numerous times. They have YouTube links in the lessons that never load or the user removed the YouTube video. WOW! I could NEVER get financial aid on the line. I left a conglomerate amount of emails that never got answered. It's just horrible. Half the time, I had to visit Google and YouTube to actually learn the material. And I had to flag soo many incorrect answers in the Questions section for review that the Instructor had to agree and make the edit. (How's THAT for learning). This school has become a distraction and frustration more than a learning environment. I plan on withdrawing after this current class.

Colorado Technical University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

• Best for: people seeking a job or promotion, military students and students who are currently employed.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs