2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

coloradotech.edu

4.0/5 (199 ratings)

About Colorado Technical University

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

Colorado Technical University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I was so excited to start school and become someone special in life. They were so inviting and kind all the way up until my first official day of class. Hounded me hourly to get my FAFSA completed. I did so within the first two days. Only to be called and told out of $62000.00 dollars I would be receiving $1500.00 spread out over the next 8 months in allotments of $158.00. Literally attempted to rob me for my ENTIRE grant. They keep nearly 100% of your grants and loans. Then attempt to bully you into accepting that. I immediately withdrew from the school and have been harassed ever since. Pathetic greedy frauds.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I wanted to pursue another bachelor's degree and am considering continuing on to another master's. I chose CTU because of the online technology and the choice of Professors. I am a decorated United States Air Force veteran and I worked in professional military education while serving. I was decorated for curriculum development in the Air Force and have done educational projects in the past.

I have studied the reason why some people do education and it is for the money! I do not mean the money they make after graduation but the money they receive while attending college. This is why student the student loan debt is over a TRILLION dollars. People love to bash institutions while they are being substandard. I have even had family members in college that never graduated and took over 20 years to finish a degree. All the while living on grants and student loans. I have 30 years in education and have even founded spiritual educational institutions. I fully endorse CTU and will help rebuild the credibility of the institution with this post.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I’ve been attending since Nov 2019 and have had a pretty good experience. Tuition is cheap and my federal loans are enough to see me through my master’s degree. The online program is largely self directed. If you need one on one time or heavy guidance, stick with a traditional university. I have been in healthcare administration for over 10 years, and worked my way up from a minimum wage call center rep to a business office manager, but I hit a ceiling and without a degree I cannot advance my career, regardless of experience.

Your courses contain guided reading and little online quizzes, but also include formal paper writing as well as informal long answer questions that are shared via a discussion board format. Do not expect any hand holding, and honestly you will only get out what you put in. Professors largely just point you in a direction and say “go” how far you get is up to you. I wouldn’t recommend this for a fresh out of high school student. This program is far better suited to someone like me with working experience in their field who really just need the little slip of paper that proves they know what they know.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Worst experience ever, Scam company profiting on poor working adult learners that are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. They are holding my transcripts hostage for many years now, making it impossible to get my Bachelor's Degree, been fighting for 4 years now with them, they put me on a payment plan while I was in attendance because they claimed I did not have enough funding, without my knowledge or approval, well I would have if they submitted there stuff properly instead just dispersing me extra funds after every semester.

The financial Aid department is a joke. Lying to me saying, "We dispersed the funds because you have extra"... when I obviously didn't, so they are trying to collect an extra 12,000 dollars that they claim I owe them, while still paying on 56,000 dollars in federal student loans until God knows when. Let's not mention I was forced to transfer to them from 2 other universities (Kaplan and American Intercontinental University) because they bought them out and screwing up my financial aid in the process.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Run!! Upon entering the program you are not given all the information. I made it all the way to the clinical practicum and was told that I had to take this APEA predictor exam. If the predictor exam is not passed then you may be given a chance to take, however you cannot move forward if you do not pass. They do nothing to prepare you for the exam. It was 4 students in my class. All 4 of us failed however I was the only one that had to spend more money retaking both courses that has nothing to do with the predictor. I have emails and texts from my classmates stating that they were told they didn't have to repeat, which is totally unfair. When I emailed and ask why I was retaking the entire course when none of my classmates had to, I was given the "we can't discuss other classmates" response. Rules were changed. I was told to appeal, and of course the appeal was denied.

I have 33 college credits and was withdrawn from the university. I have thousands of dollars of student loans and no degree. I do not know why the appeal was denied after being told to do so. I believe it to be total retaliation and discrimination because I made a fuss about having proof that they were not being consistent with the policies. Nowhere in the policy does it states that if you pass one you don't have to take the other. In fact I was even told by them when I asked that the policy stated I had to repeat both the lab course and health assessment course if the APEA predictor exam was not passed. However as stated my 3 classmates of different race did not have to.

This predictor exam was never mentioned during admission into the program. Why would a predictor exam given half way through a program stop you from progressing? The course is not over and therefore you should still be learning. This program was a total waste of time and money. The rules and policies are not consistent for everyone. I am sure they will now re-write the policy to state "at the universities discretion"! Run. Do not waste your time.

Resolution response: June 7, 2020

The issue related to Graduation fee was resolved. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Whatever you do, please avoid this school. You are basically paying for piece of paper. I attended CTU MSCS program from 10/2018 to 05/2020. This is not a school because you do not learn anything. If you master the subject and you want some piece of paper stating you have a degree, Colorado tech is the place for you, but if you really want to learn something, please avoid this school. The only time they will fail you in any course, is if you do not submit your assignment. You can submit any piece of garbage and they will give you a passing grade. Nobody forced me to stay there. I just wanted that piece of paper saying that I finished my degree.

In the end what really bothered me about this garbage school is that they still charged me $200 just to print that diploma. Even though there is no graduation ceremony, they will charge you $200 dollars just to print that piece of paper. You do not have the option to deny the diploma or request it at later time. Once you finish all your classes you will pay $200 dollars to print your diploma otherwise your account will be on hold and you cannot request transcript or do anything in your account before pay the $200 dollars. They call it graduation fee, but regardless if you attend the ceremony or not (in my case due to covid-19 the ceremony was cancelled) you still get charged $200 just to print the diploma.

I would understand if they have the graduation ceremony because of the cost associated with the ceremony but there is nothing going on and I am still getting charged $200 just to print that piece of paper? Not to mention the $30K you already pay for the entire Master program. Please I strongly advise you to avoid this school if you can, not just for the $200 dollars but for other things I mentioned earlier unless you already know the subject but do not have a degree.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Hi there, I took classes from 2009 to 2010. I signed up for this at the wrong time in my life. I was working and trying to get promoted on my job which did not work. CTU did not reach out to help me locate jobs in a field that was suggested by them, for me. I was experiencing anxiety but they were so eager to sign me up which I did online. I was asked to sign forms that I regret today. He knew nothing about me personally. So I wished I would of cancelled. I did get my degree but I have over $100,000 in debt!!!

They cram you with work, I also felt it was not in a classroom, like hands on work. That disappointed me even more. I feel like I have not learned anything from this school. I know it is my fault, but now I am in debt and have to constantly take deferments because I have not obtained the type of job I took classes for. Right now I am trying to get out of this debt and want to know if I qualify for the class action law suit against CTU.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

It is devastating that Colorado Technical University is still up to the same old stuff. When I attended in 2015 I am still fighting to obtain my official transcripts after they charged me over $50k for an ASSOCIATES DEGREE!! I had no idea they were crooked and fraudulent!!! I was blind sided by these crooks! I asked for a detailed statement and have yet till today received what I requested in writing!!! It is horrific that they haven’t stop but only getting worst. Someone needs to shut this so called college down. They have cause me to place my career and future college education on hold because they stole every dime I had in financial education. I am going to fight this until something is done about this.

I can’t believe someone mention that all they see is negative reviews on here and nothing positive! Do you realize that it’s these many people and many more this school has scammed and they are still scamming people. I can go on but one way or another I plan to shut Colorado Technical down for good AND YOU WILL PAY ME BACK MY STUDENT LOAN MONEY THAT YOU STOLE FROM ME AND YOU WILL RELEASE MY OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS as I do not owe you another dime! You not only did this to me but also my husband. We both have lost funding and your school charged us $50k for obtaining an ASSOCIATES degree! Y’all can’t continue doing honest working people wrong and think it is okay!! Please anyone that considers going to this school don’t. Run the other way. Go to a local school in your own state!!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

This school is a joke. They accept anyone as long as they’re willing to fork out the money. When you apply for their school, you immediately sign an enrollment agreement which is insane. No legitimate college/university does this. Within a day after applying and signing the enrollment agreement, I immediately regretted my decision. Per the enrollment agreement, you can’t just withdraw from your classes. You have to inform your student advisor or send something in writing to the admissions office. Again, what the heck. Every school I’ve went to allows you to withdraw from your class at the click of a button. Anyways, I informed my student advisor. By the way, it’s funny how their whole demeanor changes when you decide to withdraw. I informed him via phone then via email (just to have something in writing). No response.

Within the next few weeks, I keep getting emails as if I am still enrolled. Emails about my classes, transcripts, financial aid, etc. I called about 3-4 times and spoke with different admission advisers, and they could do absolutely nothing for me because only my student advisor is allowed to withdraw me!?!? However, they kept sending him messages from my part. Still not response. At this point, I keep getting emails. Finally, I sent another email to my student advisor where I was pretty blunt and demanded written confirmation of my cancellations. Within 24 hours, my enrollment was cancelled. The moral of the story, do your research and stay on top of it. And always, always get something in writing! ✌️

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Hi there, I took classes back in 2010. I signed up for this at the wrong time in my life. I was having marital problems, seeking attention, money issues, lack of self esteem, was in duress and having mental issues. They were so eager to sign me up which I did online. I remember him, (I cannot remember his name) he did tell me I had 3 days to cancel if I changed my mind. He knew nothing about me personally. So I wished I would of cancelled. I do have diploma. My grade was not all that great to me, I was not happy with it. But they cram you with work, sometimes my work would not go through. I also felt it was not in a classroom, like hands on work. So that disappointed me even more. I feel like I have not learned anything from this school. I know it is my fault, but now I am in debt and living in poverty level. So right now I am trying to get out of this debt. Help!!

Colorado Technical University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

Colorado Technical University Company Information