2.89/5

coloradotech.edu

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

218 Colorado Technical University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 14, 2019

A year in, I called financial aid to check on a stipend, as I was in a tough spot. In 7 different calls, I got 5 different answers. Later, a debt was somehow accumulated, and they called at 7 AM, 7:25 AM, 8 AM, and one lady called 3x at 6 AM, back to back. They don't update their records, they don't respect any agreement, and when I hit them with a cease and desist order, they threatened my enrollment. When I called to complain about the 3x 6 AM lady, I said a single swear word... because it was 6 am, and this had been going on for weeks, with no one taking notes or referencing my timezone. For this single swear word, I was threatened with expulsion. THEY WILL DENY ANY AND ALL WRONGDOING!

Let's move forward with Financial Aid. I was told I was on track to graduate without debt. Want to know where the 6 AM calls came from? Every few months I would check with Financial Aid, but one magical day, the answer about me graduating on time and fine changed from "You sure are!" to "Nope. You're at your aggregate limit, and you're going to go deeper into debt." When I complained, this was the ONLY CALL they could not retrieve in their records, and I was blown off by literally every department head. The Ombudsman sent me a cut-and-paste e-mail citing 3 sentences in a 50 page document that ambiguously labels them as 'no fault' (which is presently being looked into for legality and applicability... yep, we're coming boys :-). Presently, I have a Bachelor's degree that put me $100k in debt.

Next, let's move onto curricula and instructors. I tutor college students, and I have trolled no less than 9 'bird course' teachers, meaning they don't care, as long as you participate. Had one refuse to correct grades that were turned in a day late, which is still on my permanent grades (no one corrected it or regraded). When I followed up with said instructor, I was told that "... I am a part time professor, and this really needs to be forwarded to the IT department." Not joking, and I have the e-mail. In my 3rd from last class, I submitted an assignment (wrongfully) for another class and still got 95%. The best way to spot the 'bird course' instructors is when you get consistent 95% or 90% grades. It makes it seem like the professor is grading, and the comments for the grade will be ambiguous (very vague). This college is a waste of time and money, because at the rate it is going, it will be closed (already settled a class action about 'student loan forgiveness').

Original review: March 28, 2019

Very simple, discrimination by CTU because I was **. CTU assumed (at that time) before I was discriminated against in employment because of my age, that I could afford 600.00 a month to pay in addition to my student loan. Two months later I was laided off from my contractor position because of my age. The contractor wanted a cute party girl ** for their EA for that dept and they got one. I tried to talk to them. It did no good. I was ** of course. As of now I still have not completed my degree because the discrimination against me because I am ** continues. My GPA was 3.94-3.96. ALSO am veteran. CTU keep enrolling me and disenrolling me because of discrimination because I am **. The games & discrimination against me because I am ** need to end now. I will not quit telling people about CTU'S discrimination games against me until I am allowed to complete my degree and they quit discriminating against me because I am **.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I decided to return to College CTU was my choice because I previously attended. Well I have not been stipend since February of 2018. And then would call and tell me I had to return the money to them because my financial aid did not cover all of my expenses. I found that very weird. So, now they will not stipend anything to me. I never had a problem the first time I attended. I cannot wait to graduate from this school. I feel like I have been scammed.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Since starting CTU in Aug, I got the "cheerleader" from Admissions who clearly is there to pump you up to join the school. After you are admitted, they reach out to you a few times, then suddenly, it's silent. No help. No callback, no response. The learning platform is horrible! I've taken online classes before from another school and so apparently they set the bar high. Nothing astounds me more than to be at a TECH school that has TONS of technical issues with their online platform. The Intellipath is a great learning tool, however, the questions are poorly worded, answers are wrong, the graphical portions never load forcing you to answer the questions incorrectly.

My screen was scattered so badly at one point, that it looked like scrambled alphabet soup. I had to reach out to tech support numerous times. They have YouTube links in the lessons that never load or the user removed the YouTube video. WOW! I could NEVER get financial aid on the line. I left a conglomerate amount of emails that never got answered. It's just horrible. Half the time, I had to visit Google and YouTube to actually learn the material. And I had to flag soo many incorrect answers in the Questions section for review that the Instructor had to agree and make the edit. (How's THAT for learning). This school has become a distraction and frustration more than a learning environment. I plan on withdrawing after this current class.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Was strong armed into enrolling for my online degree by predatory admissions advisor. Was told that after taking out the max in fin aid loans, I would receive nearly $3000 stipend. Supposed to receive 2 disbursement per school year; 8 months later, haven't received anything but the runaround. They put my money to sleep. I'll go to Chicago or Colorado and put them to sleep. They think because I'm an online student, I won't hunt these ** down and get what's mine. I don't need the jail time, so what I will do is take legal action, and get my local news channel to air my story. Hopefully, I will get results faster than CTU can steal my money. Fraudulent, predatory behavior at CTU. Get your money back and warn everyone you know to avoid this scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: March 5, 2019

I went to school there years ago and passed with flying colors. I was left with student loan debt and wasn't able to obtain my degree. It not only affected me as a person but my career while serving active duty in the United States Army. I wasn't able to move up in rank as the promotion points were high in my MOS, so therefore it shown on my credit for the past eight years until recently, when the Department of Education had decided to offset my tax return. So therefore I feel like I'm entitled to my degree. In other places on earth people are treated with more class but to treat those who serve like this it's not deserved.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I decided to join CTU because my wife has also gone here and has for the most part had great experiences, so upon graduating from high school I enrolled in Colorado Technical University. I will say this they do love to call a person a lot and also at the most worst times of all. So far until February 2019 I got my refunds on time and sometimes early the February 2019 came along and I dont know what happened but I got some rude people who flat out told me that they had 2 weeks to give me my money and that they could and will take every day possible.

Now I expect them to come on here read this and deny it, which is why I'm smart enough to record all my phone calls (sorry trust issues). I recently spoke to my financial aide advisor Rachel ** who informed me that they couldnt expedite my return and it was at their discretion when it gets returned. While a Pell Grant is a gift from your state the other 55,000 I'm paying for this sub-par education is not. I have all intentions of filing a complaint with my state's attorney general concerning this matter because in all honesty this feels like extortion to me.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was inquiring into several online accounting schools and got a call from Colorado Technical Institute the same day. The person on the line didn't tell me what the call was about or if it was a good time to talk. They did say the line was recorded and wanted to know where I graduated from, when I graduated, what degree I was pursuing, and even where I worked!

I was interested in getting information from the school so I stayed on the line but I felt like they were extremely aggressive. Almost predatory. I was transferred to the admissions department and they continued asking me, what I felt are personal questions. I should be asking about them. He wanted to know why I was interested in accounting, what drove me to that degree choice, why I hadn’t continued with my last school, what I have been doing since my last college classes, and on and on.

I was caught totally off guard. I don’t feel comfortable sharing personal information with complete strangers. He said he was trying to see if I was a good fit for the university and if the university was a good fit for me. Are you kidding? It’s Colorado Technical University! It’s not Brown, Colombia, or Stanford. A good fit for you is someone that pays their tuition or qualifies for government aid. Anyway, I hung up. I think the questions were completely inappropriate. If they reach out again I will tell them to never call me again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Back in 2010 our family was going through a crisis due to the economic meltdown, I lost my job as a bookkeeper because the school had to cut back their budget by 70,000 so they let me and a couple other people go. I had decided to look into a job that would not be so hard hit by inflation and economic stress and researched into going into medical billing and coding. I checked out a couple different online universities and was told by a CTU rep that their course would cover all aspects of medical billing and coding. When I graduated in 2012 I was hired by a Medical facility in Oregon for the medical records department (only because I had experience with electronic medical record processing).

Our family moved to Oregon for this position so when an opportunity to advance into the coding department came up I jumped on it only to find out that I would need to acquire a RHIT certification. When I applied to go through the certification process I found out that CTU was NOT accredited for that area of coding and that I would have to take another course with a local college to do so. Since our family was already in financial distress and I did not want to accrue further tuition expenses and got out of the medical office environment as it was soon clear to me that there would be no chance for further advancement within the medical records department.

So here I am 7 years later still paying for tuition that I accrued for a series of classes that were unable to procure a certified position in the area of work I had originally aimed for. Is there someone out there that has legal counsel in this type of matter that can help either lessen or completely remove any remaining tuition I have. The other situation I have is that I work for people with disabilities but because of the way HIPAA is set up they are not recognized as employers even though the government pays my wages, so I can't even qualify for dept forgiveness. I am going to be 62 this year and I still have over 20,000 in tuition to repay.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I attended CTU Online many years ago. I am in the Washington DC area and had trouble of finding a job with my degree. The support from CTU Online is little to none after graduation. No JOB assistance at all. THANKS A LOT CTU ONLINE. NOW I AM TRYING TO GET LOAN FORGIVENESS ON ALL THE UNNECESSARY LOANS I TOOK OUT. I will never never ever be fooled again. WELL WISHES...think before you sign...

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Absolute joke of a school. Transferred here from UMUC after the passing of my wife. I'm in their IT & computer systems security bachelors program. Some of the things that CTU has put me through - Registering me for classes that I had previously been given credit for which lead me to wasting my Post 9/11 benefits. Forcing me to take classes that I have already completed (which even use the exact same TestOut labs) for the sole purpose of monetary gain (private institution). Professors that show up late to class and take long "breaks". Professors that cannot manage their time and end up skipping long sections of course materials. Be warned - if you are looking at CTU for their cyber security program... go to UMUC, they are 50 steps ahead of CTU in every aspect.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

This school is a complete joke. They run up your student loans. They return financial aid and tell you they made a mistake. Give you the run around all the while racking up loads of debt in your name. I finally had enough of teachers and depts not answering me for help in my classes. All I got was silence. I then withdrew and found another school and went to get my transcripts to transfer credit. Suddenly my transcripts are on hold. I owe 3k which was completely covered my financial aid which they returned to the government without my knowledge. Mind you this was after I ordered my transcripts from parchment and the new college talked to them. They are nothing but a joke retaliating but putting money you supposedly owe to block you receiving your transcripts.

I can’t get ahold of anyone to fix this issue and am scheduled to start my new college next month and CTU is giving me the runaround. I foresee I’m going to be suing this college and getting ahold of the CTU loan forgiveness suit. I refuse to be held responsible for loans that were racked by a college that kept overdrawing my financial aid in the excess of over 45k. Wouldn’t listen. They put me in the wrong degree program. Put me into a SAP and when I withdrew during the SAP they returned 3k and now have my transcripts froze after ordering them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I took out a student loan with CTU part way through my semester. It took me several weeks to get a hold of financial aid advisor to get it even completed. Set up to have the dispense remaining balance to myself at time of submitting for the loans. When they received the loans instead of sending funds out they refunded what I had already paid but held onto the money and applied the student loan to my account. It was explained with grants and loans they have to send them out in a timely manner, I assuming that’s why they did it the way they did so they could stall sending it out.

I call when it was supposed to be sent out and get told, "Oh I see that was supposed to be sent to you, it will be two more weeks of waiting and you should have the remaining balance," in two weeks still don’t have it and am told it has to go for review. It can take 24 hours to a week to have funds in my account. Call back in 24 hours speak to another representative, he tells me he will send it to management and will call me back at the end of the day, he did not. Called back the next day get told it was sent but they may not have it reviewed (not dispersed) another two and half. That will put us at 4 weeks, ridiculous. I will not go back for my msn through them now.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was in Accounting II and I withdrew after first week and they still charged me full amount which was around 1,300 dollars! This is robbery. Nobody should have to pay for a class they didn't take. I don't care what the school policy is.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

CTU signed me up for one of their master's programs around 2005. They registered me for financial aid. I filled out and submitted all documents on time. School withdrew me from school 1 week before my last class was completed. I had spent hundreds of hours on and had an A in the class. This caused me to lose my financial aid. They did not offer any solutions. Told me my financial aid was taking too long. They sent me a bill of a couple thousand dollars. Ruined my credit. Refused to give me a letter grade for my class since I could not finish the class. They wanted to extort money from me for something not delivered. I ended up filing for Bankruptcy on 2008 and included this in the Bankruptcy. Currently, trying to sign up for another Master's Degree. CTU still wants me to extort a couple thousand from me before I get my transcripts. They are ignoring Federal Bankruptcy laws. Stay away from this school.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Last year I reported a few things to the BBB about CTU and how I would not be able to use my Subsidized Student Loan anymore after CTU. Here the breakdown, before I was forced to enroll at CTU, I chatted with some person on their site about the different programs. Well lo and behold I was enrolled into classes and was asked to sign a "payment" statement in which I didn't see the whole thing because they didn't have a link and the person said "this will help with your interests on your loans", LIE! Needless to say they used more of my loans than they were supposed to and now I don't have access to my loans for the school I am with now, which is local. I mean I've asked to have the "interest free" fee removed but they didn't and still owe $2000.

This is from the FA Department from my current school "Upon reviewing your 2018/19 financial aid award at McLennan, we have determined that based on the federal subsidized undergraduate usage limit (SULA), you have no more subsidized loan eligibility for the program in which you are enrolled." And yet CTU claims that I still access to that, ANOTHER LIE. I would love to see the loan money returned to the DoE because I did NOT get a degree, I have been fighting my loan provider over this all because CTU screwed me over. If CTU responds to me, please make sure you refund all that money you took from me (aka loans).

Original review: July 14, 2018

I enjoyed the symposium, it exceeded my expectations. If it wasn't so expensive to attend I would recommend moving back to 4 symposiums. The faculty and the students were so uplifting and the food was great. I would appreciate a writers workshop, to cover APA and citing (even though you can get all this online via doc library). I enjoyed the office hours and all the workshops. I found the check-in, check-out and attendance sheet to be cumbersome, but despite that I truly enjoyed the amount of support CTU gives their students. This was a breathtaking refresher that I needed.

Original review: July 14, 2018

The Symposium was a great experience. My only suggestions is much better directions for getting to and from the hotel in regards to the train and catching a bus from union station. Faculty and staff were exceptional. Some of the rooms were extremely hot.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I had a great experience at my first symposium. It was a very energizing experience. I had a great opportunity to get a better perspective on what other students are working on, some of the "potholes", challenges they are overcoming, topics, etc. Great opportunity to network and learn more. I found workshops and one-on-one office hours with the professors to be the best part of the journey. Very nice food and lodging. A few suggestions: would be nice to have a quick 15 minute information about CTU and CEC. More sessions in the supply chain, strategy, and project management areas. Have more faculty share what were the top struggles in their programs and how they overcame it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I now realize why Symposium is a requirement for students. I had underestimated the importance of the networking and the value of the tools offered. I have several takeaways that I will be implementing immediately. I wish I would have attended sooner!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I enjoyed the entire process from the start until now. The symposium was very knowledgeable and I gained a lot of information from it. I would recommend that all doctoral students participate in this symposium. The workshops was also very good. Until now I didn't have a research question; now I do. The professors are doing an excellent job in preparing us for what is next to come.

Original review: July 13, 2018

This was an awesome experience. The faculty was extremely knowledgeable. The classes were on time. The only drawback was technical difficulties. Not to mention that the food was great. I especially loved the office hours. I was able to sit face-to-face with my professors.

Original review: July 13, 2018

It has been interesting so far. Admissions rushed me into class before I had the chance to sort out my financial aid, and now, I have come up against obstacles. I am NOT impressed with the Admissions Dept. or Financial Aid Dept. The Academics is okay, at least for now!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I currently attended Colorado Technical University Online. I love the learning platform that CTU uses. The virtual campus is easy to navigate. The staff and faculty are always available and willing to help. If you are interested in a college I suggest CTU!

Original review: July 13, 2018

This was a great experience and I learned a lot of information during many of the sessions, but I could not access technology to all the tools should work. Specifically Endnote. The Library and Qualitative session were the best. Networking with the returning students has inspired me to work hard. I enjoyed the fact that we were granted extra day to submit assignments. See you at GRADUATION.

Original review: July 13, 2018

DM Criminal Justice - Wonderful, exciting and very educational. I have made a lot of connections and lifelong friends during this Symposium. The Drs. are hands on and extremely gracious when handling the students which makes for a comfortable setting. There is nothing that I change nor do I have any further input. Thank you CTU for the experience!!!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Hotel doesn't match the conference. The cartoonish style of the hotel is not a professional academic environment. The conference rooms are small and placed randomly. The AC/cooling of the rooms is inadequate. The feature presentation while interesting is not appropriate for a doctoral program. We do not require a motivational speaker. The individual meeting with faculty should be expanded. The food/mixers were well done.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Since the beginning, my experience has been awesome. I earned all of my degrees with CTU. For this program, since the beginning, my experience with the admissions team and Jolanta was very engaging and amazing. I love Jolanta. Very easy to talk to. I would recommend anyone to CTU.

Original review: July 13, 2018

From the very start it was a great experience. My fears and apprehension was put to rest from the start with admissions and carried through to my first class. I have learn more in one semester and one symposium than I had in my previous doctoral program. I highly recommend anyone looking to enroll in a doctoral program that is looking for support from start to finish.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Attending CTU has been the best decision I have made. I have no regrets at all choosing this school after my attendance with AIU. I am going to try and influence a friend of mine who is thinking of pursuing her Doctorate and I am excited overall for what this journey lies ahead.

Colorado Technical University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

• Best for: people seeking a job or promotion, military students and students who are currently employed.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs