coloradotech.edu

3.4/5 (431 ratings)

About Colorado Technical University

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

Colorado Technical University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Nearly 100% on all assignments even when skimping on. The admissions crew is unable to export content and/or give me access to a class closed down, so I could gather more notes. These are simple tasks that require basic but seem to be outside the box and unable to serve the education requests of their students. Admissions rep missing meeting unannounced and gave incorrect due date information for pr-req's.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

My experience is that when it comes to financial aid and certification for VRRAP CTU needs a lot of work. They provide no consistent certification to the VA so my housing allowance has been short nary every month so far. They just tell you that's the way it is. NORMAL schools have semesters and you KNOW when and what you are getting. I have been late on my rent regularly because of this. This system can turn you into a homeless Veteran overnight if you are not careful. FIX IT DARN IT! I must call and haggle EVERY month to make sure they are getting it right. VA is slow enough without this mess to contend with. AND they refuse to give a consistent time your funds are disbursed. They are worried you are not going to pay up it seems.

Let me say this is so rough on my PTSD. Getting your assignments done is stressful without having to worry if you are going to receive funds you are promised in time so you do not get evicted. I am a straight A 4.0 GPA student there. The Veterans Administration PAYS all tuition! So I do not see why I get handled like a borderline deadbeat. (That is exactly how it feels). Aside from all that, the Instructors are great. They bend over backwards to help you and check up on you. The curriculum is designed to be user friendly. I am around the halfway point and I cannot wait to finish this out. It is too late to back out now so it is not worth losing the work invested and the time.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Hello, I am not going to say much, but if you can avoid this diploma mill at all costs. I am currently trying to transfer after this session is over. The instructors are ok. It's the success coaches, it's the lack of communication with the staff, the information learned in the classes so far seems irrelevant to me. It just doesn't have a good vibe or feel to me. I currently have a 4.0 and I will graduate any school I attend maintaining that. I just figured they would be more helpful with the amount of money spent. I was told all the good in the world in the admission phase, and nothing I was told is happening. When you try and contact your success coach they don't seem too bright or takes forever to get back to you. Most don't follow through with their job. Don't go here. I'm warning you now. They not even a top 50 school. My name is Anthony ** just so the school knows when or if they see this.

Original review: March 12, 2022

This school is a scam. I have finished almost 200 credits but the school has told me I need more credit to graduate my degree plan which requires 180 credits. I also get assigned to class when I wasn't ready to take them. When I called their advisor Shaitwanna told me I need a document. When I wrote the document she told me the cut off day was yesterday. Not only that the reason I wanted to drop the class was I couldn't get a hold of the instructor I even have proof of trying to get a hold of instructor but they don't care. We have a case going on with this school for lying to me about finding me a job and assigning me so many credits.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

Like many other reviews I read on this blog, I too had been denied access to my transcripts by CTU because of a balance due for classes they claim I had not dropped in time. I dropped the classes but like many others didn't follow up to ensure they were dropped and was charged over $7k for classes that I never had taken. I think it makes no sense to charge a student for classes they never took especially if they ended up repeating the course and paid for them at that time as well. They are basically charging students twice for the same class and this should be illegal in my opinion.

I am in the process of transferring to another school to work on my masters and could not do so without my transcripts. They know that so this is why they practice what is called "transcript ransom" to prevent you from moving forward without paying a debt that is most likely over priced and unfair. This is a problem that predominantly affects poor people who typically don't have money to pay unfortunately.

I am not the type of person who will just roll over and take unfair treatment without a fight so I immediately began researching ways around this predatory rule that I don't agree with. What I learned was that during the pandemic crisis a couple states such as Washington and California recognized this as a big issue for people who needed their transcripts to secure jobs or finish their education. This prompted them to created a bill that prevented schools from withholding transcripts for debt.

I live in California so after I learned of the bill I called them back the very next day to mention the AB 1313 law that was implemented in 2020. I was briefly put on hold by the same guy I had spoke to the day before, who asked for my address as verification (so he was well aware of the state that I lived in and denied me anyway). He then returned with a different answer, he told me to order my transcript and he can clear the block. Please check your state to see if they too have passed such laws and make sure you let them know that you are aware of the law because they will not volunteer such info because their job is to collect not help you. I hope this helps someone, good luck!!!!

Original review: March 11, 2021

I was so excited to start school and become someone special in life. They were so inviting and kind all the way up until my first official day of class. Hounded me hourly to get my FAFSA completed. I did so within the first two days. Only to be called and told out of $62000.00 dollars I would be receiving $1500.00 spread out over the next 8 months in allotments of $158.00. Literally attempted to rob me for my ENTIRE grant. They keep nearly 100% of your grants and loans. Then attempt to bully you into accepting that. I immediately withdrew from the school and have been harassed ever since. Pathetic greedy frauds.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I wanted to pursue another bachelor's degree and am considering continuing on to another master's. I chose CTU because of the online technology and the choice of Professors. I am a decorated United States Air Force veteran and I worked in professional military education while serving. I was decorated for curriculum development in the Air Force and have done educational projects in the past.

I have studied the reason why some people do education and it is for the money! I do not mean the money they make after graduation but the money they receive while attending college. This is why student the student loan debt is over a TRILLION dollars. People love to bash institutions while they are being substandard. I have even had family members in college that never graduated and took over 20 years to finish a degree. All the while living on grants and student loans. I have 30 years in education and have even founded spiritual educational institutions. I fully endorse CTU and will help rebuild the credibility of the institution with this post.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I’ve been attending since Nov 2019 and have had a pretty good experience. Tuition is cheap and my federal loans are enough to see me through my master’s degree. The online program is largely self directed. If you need one on one time or heavy guidance, stick with a traditional university. I have been in healthcare administration for over 10 years, and worked my way up from a minimum wage call center rep to a business office manager, but I hit a ceiling and without a degree I cannot advance my career, regardless of experience.

Your courses contain guided reading and little online quizzes, but also include formal paper writing as well as informal long answer questions that are shared via a discussion board format. Do not expect any hand holding, and honestly you will only get out what you put in. Professors largely just point you in a direction and say “go” how far you get is up to you. I wouldn’t recommend this for a fresh out of high school student. This program is far better suited to someone like me with working experience in their field who really just need the little slip of paper that proves they know what they know.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Worst experience ever, Scam company profiting on poor working adult learners that are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. They are holding my transcripts hostage for many years now, making it impossible to get my Bachelor's Degree, been fighting for 4 years now with them, they put me on a payment plan while I was in attendance because they claimed I did not have enough funding, without my knowledge or approval, well I would have if they submitted there stuff properly instead just dispersing me extra funds after every semester.

The financial Aid department is a joke. Lying to me saying, "We dispersed the funds because you have extra"... when I obviously didn't, so they are trying to collect an extra 12,000 dollars that they claim I owe them, while still paying on 56,000 dollars in federal student loans until God knows when. Let's not mention I was forced to transfer to them from 2 other universities (Kaplan and American Intercontinental University) because they bought them out and screwing up my financial aid in the process.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Run!! Upon entering the program you are not given all the information. I made it all the way to the clinical practicum and was told that I had to take this APEA predictor exam. If the predictor exam is not passed then you may be given a chance to take, however you cannot move forward if you do not pass. They do nothing to prepare you for the exam. It was 4 students in my class. All 4 of us failed however I was the only one that had to spend more money retaking both courses that has nothing to do with the predictor. I have emails and texts from my classmates stating that they were told they didn't have to repeat, which is totally unfair. When I emailed and ask why I was retaking the entire course when none of my classmates had to, I was given the "we can't discuss other classmates" response. Rules were changed. I was told to appeal, and of course the appeal was denied.

I have 33 college credits and was withdrawn from the university. I have thousands of dollars of student loans and no degree. I do not know why the appeal was denied after being told to do so. I believe it to be total retaliation and discrimination because I made a fuss about having proof that they were not being consistent with the policies. Nowhere in the policy does it states that if you pass one you don't have to take the other. In fact I was even told by them when I asked that the policy stated I had to repeat both the lab course and health assessment course if the APEA predictor exam was not passed. However as stated my 3 classmates of different race did not have to.

This predictor exam was never mentioned during admission into the program. Why would a predictor exam given half way through a program stop you from progressing? The course is not over and therefore you should still be learning. This program was a total waste of time and money. The rules and policies are not consistent for everyone. I am sure they will now re-write the policy to state "at the universities discretion"! Run. Do not waste your time.

Colorado Technical University author review by Jessica Render

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Colorado Technical University Company Information