Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
3.00/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

coloradotech.edu

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Colorado Technical University Reviews

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I have been a student at CTU using the online classes for over three years. When I first signed up, I had a great advisor who seemed to be very helpful. My success coach was okay but I could tell there would be communication issues. I immediately knew there would be a problem with Financial Aid because they were constantly sending me emails and losing my paperwork. I was speaking to someone different all the time. Fast forward a year or so and I ended up having to leave school due to a divorce. I was berated by student accounts about the past due balance and so on and so forth. 3-5 phone calls a day and emails. I finally called and requested that they only send emails because the phone calls were becoming harassment.

I was able to explain my situation to someone in the accounts department and he told me that I could start making payments once my program was finished. He advised me the calls would continue but that was the plan. I continued to receive calls and emails, I continued to explain myself. I was told when I was blocked from classes finally to continue signing these payment agreements because it was just to allow me into classes but our earlier agreement still stands. This has been going on for over a year now.

Suddenly today, 9/27/19, I receive an urgent email from a student accounts manager who says I need to speak with them immediately. I explained myself to him again and let him know that he could pull all the calls and my notes to see what was agreed upon. He stated in a response email that he did not see anything about it and all he saw was the signed payment agreements. I could not believe it. I forwarded as many dated emails as I could to him where I was explaining myself over and over. No response but an out of office email with two alternate people to talk to. Called both of them multiple times - no answer. Just ridiculous.

If I can’t go to school because of my situation then just let me know. Don’t wait until I am 4-5 classes away from completing my bachelors. I already told them I can’t get loans because my ex destroyed my credit, I’m at my aggregate limit for financial aid, and I am living paycheck to paycheck now that I am at one income. All I want is to finish this degree but the student accounts department makes you feel like you don’t matter, they don’t care, and they just want you to pay whatever they tell you to. Love the classes but stay away unless you have all the money for your program upfront.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I have been attending CTU online since April 2, 2019. I started out taking Business classes, changed to Criminal Justice concentrating on Human Resources, and then just barely changed my major for the last time to Psychology concentrating on Behaviors. I change my mind alot. CTU was very helpful with my changes, and they were prompt with everything.

As for the classes themselves- very easy to navigate the virtual classroom. The teachers are very involved with each student, personally, and have never ignored even one of my messages or concerns. My student success coach has been AWESOME as well. She has been with me every step of the way. I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews about CTU, because so far, for me, everything has been perfect. Maybe the people who have had issues have had them because they aren't doing THEIR part to make sure they have a good experience with CTU. Because CTU does their part with absolutely no problems. Sign up with CTU! You wont regret it!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

Multiple times the staff will ghost you and ignore your replies especially when it comes to financing. The online classes are a joke as well and the staff with the online classes are horrible. The teachers just read from a slideshow to "teach" you.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

As someone working full-time, this was a great school for me. I was lucky enough that the campus was near my job anyway. But, like anywhere else, you get out of it what you put into it. I read every assignment. I did every homework assignment. I made it a point to study and understand the topic. I took what I learned and looked for ways to apply it to my job.

Yep, it's easy enough to skate through college if that's what you want. It's also easy enough to blame everyone else for your problems. There were administrative issues. I watched my accounts and followed up immediately when something was wrong. Every issue was taken care of. There were problems with professors -- I liked some and didn't like others. Some I really didn't want to be bothered with at all. But I realize that professors run their classes, so at the end of the day, we do the class and our homework their way. It isn't a big deal - a class only lasts 3 months and then you're off to one you like. Overall, I got out of it what I put into it. And, since I was happy with what I put into it, I was happy with the result as well.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Attended and graduated this university with honors and a 3.8 GPA magna cum laude. They have lied and been deceitful in their billing practices and costs since day one. I was pretty much married to them once I realized that they like another university I attended assign credits that are pretty much useless at other universities as far as transferring credits is concerned. They are also grossly overpriced and have changed how much I owe them on so many occasions I can't even begin to count. Their interest free program is anything but and they eventually sent me to collections anyway even though I had a legally binding payment agreement with them. Did they adhere to it? Absolutely not and why should they?

They know that we are drowning in student loan debt versus their team of lawyers at their for profit university systems that look to exploit students and company tuition programs alike. They look to sell the debt so they can collect multiple times and put your credit at risk while withholding your degree and transcripts until you pay in full. The worst part is I was paying over $300 a month and only had $1400+ dollars left before they unceremoniously sent it to collections with no remorse whatsoever. Shame on you! This is why there are multiple lawsuits against you for this exact type of scrupulous action.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: June 21, 2019

I did the fast track program for a BS in Criminal Justice. I completed it with a 4.0 and honors. However, it’s all theory based (writing essays); no real tests, no hands on learning. I literally learned nothing that would assist me in getting a job within that field of study. I never got a job related to it.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I looked to them to possibly enroll in the fall to start some classes when my life experiences currently are quite chaotic. The admissions adviser said that it's a year-round school and classes start in two weeks. I did send my unofficial transcripts after getting talked into enrolling. First of all, the website online stated they were one of the least costly colleges to enroll at $24,000. My estimate was over $50,000! I signed an application but it would not take my e signature. She told me to try all of my previous names! They ended up using my previous married name.

I talked to my admissions adviser, who uses high-pressure sales to earn her commission, in a follow up call and told her that I had decided to wait until fall to act on pursuing my education. I literally had some terrible news that I needed to take care of in my life and without empathy she said that I am overreacting and that tomorrow the situation will change. She is to follow up with me on Monday.

I thought that I would not receive any further phone calls or emails, but have been berated all day today and last night. I finally sent an email in to the Office of Admissions to formally cancel my enrollment and withdraw my application after another phone call came in. I did remove the school from my FAFSA list. I have not downloaded their app nor have I chose any classes and this is how crazed these people are to finish the process. I do not have a resolution at the moment, only just sent my email a few moments ago, I just wanted people to stay away from this school!

Original review: May 1, 2019

CTU will not release people transcripts premised on the fact and I quote, "You owe over $10,610. Yet, when I witness this call when I heard my cousin speaking to a man named RUSSELL, I almost laughed and did some research. My cousin had withdrawn from this SCAM-related school premise on family issue." As a lawyer is saying, have proof of all that is said everyone. I know she will get her 9 or 12 credits as her legal right and she can't owe the lawyer said because she did NOT attend but a few months, and did not receive ANY monies, at all, not 1 red cent.

Russell caught an attitude when she called him and or #COLORADOTECHUNIVERSITY a scam. “We have proof though, and will be ok with the law firm we have already on it." 1 attorney cites, "Extortion when they are illegally keeping transcript from you, when you're not even with the school (never receive a dime.) Posting this all over the internet, and at least the lawyer said she will get her transcripts and what they are doing is illegal and unethical. Didn't know til' now, we see at FB, Facebook, and Twitter and other sites my lord so many complaints and a class action against Colorado Tech online etc., so many complaints. This is great to see! Hoping the CLASS ACTION suit against COLORADO TECHNICAL SCAM UNIVERSITY is won..." adios.

Original review: April 24, 2019

This school is a joke and money hungry. I took 2 classes with them when I got to my third I decided to change my career path and go back to a different college where I got my last degree, so I decided to withdraw from CTU. Well I talked to a lady and she said if I withdrawn at a certain date, that I will not owe no money, so I did. The withdraw process is a joke, because it took them 3 days to process it, and then when I get completely withdrawn I get a massive bill from them saying I owe them 13,522.00. Out of every college I’ve been too and changed my Career path I have never gotten stuff like this, this school is money hungry that’s all there is to it. I reported them to the financial aid people, next is the BBB. This school is a joke and needs to be shut down. All this for wanting to change to a different school. They're a fraud.

Original review: April 14, 2019

A year in, I called financial aid to check on a stipend, as I was in a tough spot. In 7 different calls, I got 5 different answers. Later, a debt was somehow accumulated, and they called at 7 AM, 7:25 AM, 8 AM, and one lady called 3x at 6 AM, back to back. They don't update their records, they don't respect any agreement, and when I hit them with a cease and desist order, they threatened my enrollment. When I called to complain about the 3x 6 AM lady, I said a single swear word... because it was 6 am, and this had been going on for weeks, with no one taking notes or referencing my timezone. For this single swear word, I was threatened with expulsion. THEY WILL DENY ANY AND ALL WRONGDOING!

Let's move forward with Financial Aid. I was told I was on track to graduate without debt. Want to know where the 6 AM calls came from? Every few months I would check with Financial Aid, but one magical day, the answer about me graduating on time and fine changed from "You sure are!" to "Nope. You're at your aggregate limit, and you're going to go deeper into debt." When I complained, this was the ONLY CALL they could not retrieve in their records, and I was blown off by literally every department head. The Ombudsman sent me a cut-and-paste e-mail citing 3 sentences in a 50 page document that ambiguously labels them as 'no fault' (which is presently being looked into for legality and applicability... yep, we're coming boys :-). Presently, I have a Bachelor's degree that put me $100k in debt.

Next, let's move onto curricula and instructors. I tutor college students, and I have trolled no less than 9 'bird course' teachers, meaning they don't care, as long as you participate. Had one refuse to correct grades that were turned in a day late, which is still on my permanent grades (no one corrected it or regraded). When I followed up with said instructor, I was told that "... I am a part time professor, and this really needs to be forwarded to the IT department." Not joking, and I have the e-mail. In my 3rd from last class, I submitted an assignment (wrongfully) for another class and still got 95%. The best way to spot the 'bird course' instructors is when you get consistent 95% or 90% grades. It makes it seem like the professor is grading, and the comments for the grade will be ambiguous (very vague). This college is a waste of time and money, because at the rate it is going, it will be closed (already settled a class action about 'student loan forgiveness').

Colorado Technical University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

• Best for: people seeking a job or promotion, military students and students who are currently employed.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs