2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

coloradotech.edu

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.96/5

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

Colorado Technical University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Run!! Upon entering the program you are not given all the information. I made it all the way to the clinical practicum and was told that I had to take this APEA predictor exam. If the predictor exam is not passed then you may be given a chance to take, however you cannot move forward if you do not pass. They do nothing to prepare you for the exam. It was 4 students in my class. All 4 of us failed however I was the only one that had to spend more money retaking both courses that has nothing to do with the predictor. I have emails and texts from my classmates stating that they were told they didn't have to repeat, which is totally unfair. When I emailed and ask why I was retaking the entire course when none of my classmates had to, I was given the "we can't discuss other classmates" response. Rules were changed. I was told to appeal, and of course the appeal was denied.

I have 33 college credits and was withdrawn from the university. I have thousands of dollars of student loans and no degree. I do not know why the appeal was denied after being told to do so. I believe it to be total retaliation and discrimination because I made a fuss about having proof that they were not being consistent with the policies. Nowhere in the policy does it states that if you pass one you don't have to take the other. In fact I was even told by them when I asked that the policy stated I had to repeat both the lab course and health assessment course if the APEA predictor exam was not passed. However as stated my 3 classmates of different race did not have to.

This predictor exam was never mentioned during admission into the program. Why would a predictor exam given half way through a program stop you from progressing? The course is not over and therefore you should still be learning. This program was a total waste of time and money. The rules and policies are not consistent for everyone. I am sure they will now re-write the policy to state "at the universities discretion"! Run. Do not waste your time.

Resolution response: June 7, 2020

The issue related to Graduation fee was resolved. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Whatever you do, please avoid this school. You are basically paying for piece of paper. I attended CTU MSCS program from 10/2018 to 05/2020. This is not a school because you do not learn anything. If you master the subject and you want some piece of paper stating you have a degree, Colorado tech is the place for you, but if you really want to learn something, please avoid this school. The only time they will fail you in any course, is if you do not submit your assignment. You can submit any piece of garbage and they will give you a passing grade. Nobody forced me to stay there. I just wanted that piece of paper saying that I finished my degree.

In the end what really bothered me about this garbage school is that they still charged me $200 just to print that diploma. Even though there is no graduation ceremony, they will charge you $200 dollars just to print that piece of paper. You do not have the option to deny the diploma or request it at later time. Once you finish all your classes you will pay $200 dollars to print your diploma otherwise your account will be on hold and you cannot request transcript or do anything in your account before pay the $200 dollars. They call it graduation fee, but regardless if you attend the ceremony or not (in my case due to covid-19 the ceremony was cancelled) you still get charged $200 just to print the diploma.

I would understand if they have the graduation ceremony because of the cost associated with the ceremony but there is nothing going on and I am still getting charged $200 just to print that piece of paper? Not to mention the $30K you already pay for the entire Master program. Please I strongly advise you to avoid this school if you can, not just for the $200 dollars but for other things I mentioned earlier unless you already know the subject but do not have a degree.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Hi there, I took classes from 2009 to 2010. I signed up for this at the wrong time in my life. I was working and trying to get promoted on my job which did not work. CTU did not reach out to help me locate jobs in a field that was suggested by them, for me. I was experiencing anxiety but they were so eager to sign me up which I did online. I was asked to sign forms that I regret today. He knew nothing about me personally. So I wished I would of cancelled. I did get my degree but I have over $100,000 in debt!!!

They cram you with work, I also felt it was not in a classroom, like hands on work. That disappointed me even more. I feel like I have not learned anything from this school. I know it is my fault, but now I am in debt and have to constantly take deferments because I have not obtained the type of job I took classes for. Right now I am trying to get out of this debt and want to know if I qualify for the class action law suit against CTU.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

It is devastating that Colorado Technical University is still up to the same old stuff. When I attended in 2015 I am still fighting to obtain my official transcripts after they charged me over $50k for an ASSOCIATES DEGREE!! I had no idea they were crooked and fraudulent!!! I was blind sided by these crooks! I asked for a detailed statement and have yet till today received what I requested in writing!!! It is horrific that they haven’t stop but only getting worst. Someone needs to shut this so called college down. They have cause me to place my career and future college education on hold because they stole every dime I had in financial education. I am going to fight this until something is done about this.

I can’t believe someone mention that all they see is negative reviews on here and nothing positive! Do you realize that it’s these many people and many more this school has scammed and they are still scamming people. I can go on but one way or another I plan to shut Colorado Technical down for good AND YOU WILL PAY ME BACK MY STUDENT LOAN MONEY THAT YOU STOLE FROM ME AND YOU WILL RELEASE MY OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS as I do not owe you another dime! You not only did this to me but also my husband. We both have lost funding and your school charged us $50k for obtaining an ASSOCIATES degree! Y’all can’t continue doing honest working people wrong and think it is okay!! Please anyone that considers going to this school don’t. Run the other way. Go to a local school in your own state!!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

This school is a joke. They accept anyone as long as they’re willing to fork out the money. When you apply for their school, you immediately sign an enrollment agreement which is insane. No legitimate college/university does this. Within a day after applying and signing the enrollment agreement, I immediately regretted my decision. Per the enrollment agreement, you can’t just withdraw from your classes. You have to inform your student advisor or send something in writing to the admissions office. Again, what the heck. Every school I’ve went to allows you to withdraw from your class at the click of a button. Anyways, I informed my student advisor. By the way, it’s funny how their whole demeanor changes when you decide to withdraw. I informed him via phone then via email (just to have something in writing). No response.

Within the next few weeks, I keep getting emails as if I am still enrolled. Emails about my classes, transcripts, financial aid, etc. I called about 3-4 times and spoke with different admission advisers, and they could do absolutely nothing for me because only my student advisor is allowed to withdraw me!?!? However, they kept sending him messages from my part. Still not response. At this point, I keep getting emails. Finally, I sent another email to my student advisor where I was pretty blunt and demanded written confirmation of my cancellations. Within 24 hours, my enrollment was cancelled. The moral of the story, do your research and stay on top of it. And always, always get something in writing! ✌️

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Hi there, I took classes back in 2010. I signed up for this at the wrong time in my life. I was having marital problems, seeking attention, money issues, lack of self esteem, was in duress and having mental issues. They were so eager to sign me up which I did online. I remember him, (I cannot remember his name) he did tell me I had 3 days to cancel if I changed my mind. He knew nothing about me personally. So I wished I would of cancelled. I do have diploma. My grade was not all that great to me, I was not happy with it. But they cram you with work, sometimes my work would not go through. I also felt it was not in a classroom, like hands on work. So that disappointed me even more. I feel like I have not learned anything from this school. I know it is my fault, but now I am in debt and living in poverty level. So right now I am trying to get out of this debt. Help!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I have attended CTU since May 2019, and from the very start I have had superb experiences. My admissions advisor and success coach were great. Lauren, my success coach, has continually been helpful and timely in her responses whenever I reach out to her. She has helped me with every question, concern, and request I have made since I've started.

My first financial advisor wasn't as helpful, and it seemed as though she had an attitude and that I was a burden whenever I would reach out. They subsequently, not due to any complaints from me, changed my financial advisor. I have had much better interactions with my new FA, which I believe is a head position because I've only been able to speak with her through messages. Even though I haven't spoke with her directly, every time I call the financial department I get help from one of the very considerate advisors. There is one FA, I can't recall his name, but from the tone of his voice it sounds like he is ** man (which I am as well and this doesn't matter, I'm just being descriptive) that has helped me on multiple occasions and explained things in a very comprehensive manner. He went above and beyond the call of duty and is a great financial advisor. I wish I could have him as my main advisor.

The professors have been great, and I have been able to reach out to them and receive informative responses in timely manners. The speed of the courses is very effective, and I have learned a great deal in the past six months. I've only had one issue with a microeconomics professor, who I felt wasn't a great fit for me.

While attending CTU, I have remained on the President's List, maintaining a 4.0 GPA, and have spoke on my desired outcome. I'm a 33-year-old business owner, pursuing my BSBA with concentrations in Accounting and Finance, and my aim isn't just to get straight A's and graduate Summa Cum Laude. The diploma (or piece of paper as I call it) isn't my main focus because I'm not going to go to work for any one else. I'm an entrepreneur, and the knowledge I need to help ensure the continued growth and success of my current and future companies, is what I'm truly after. CTU has done great at delivering the knowledge I'm looking to attain.

In conclusion, I have seen many bad reviews on here which have me slightly alerted, but I haven't had those experiences and being the extremely hardworking, passionate, persistent person I am, I have been able to maneuver through any hiccups while attending CTU. I can't wait to graduate from CTU with my Bachelor's degree, and likely continue on to gain my MBA as well. Student ID: **

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I came here to read reviews and because I have experienced good universities, I decided to drop out. You can't drop out on your own, you have to call or email an official. I emailed, never got a response back. And then my academic advisor, Bran ** called me and I told him I was dropping out. He was incredibly nasty and manipulative to me. Scathing, even. He told me he'd spent all this time on me and been nothing but professional and basically that I was a fool for letting reviews help me come to a conclusion about the school. I'll restate something: You can't drop out on your own. I've gone to two previous colleges, Centralia Community College and the University of Washington. Both allowed you to drop out of courses online so you wouldn't be charged. This college is different and it's for the worst.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

The best thing about attending CTU is that they don't try to cram immoral trashy liberal idealisms down our throats and they've shown time and time again support for our troops. If you're interested in attending a college without the typical left-leaning ** - CTU may be a learning institution for you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I enrolled last Thursday. Did orientation Monday and then they had a class Tuesday, which I did part of. I ended up reading up on CTU online a few days later and I am so glad I did. All week I have been telling Ortiz my admissions person that I no longer wanted to be enrolled in this college, wrote the school, even did online chatting. Tell me why she's been beating around the bush all week and still hasn't done it. They act like they will help you with anything until you have something like this happen. Then they don't want to help you, don't answer your emails, have people say they aren't in their office etc.... I am here to warn others "DON'T GO TO CTU ONLINE".

Colorado Technical University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team