2.56/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

The Neat Company

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

791 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We received this as a gift. Did not open it in for six months. When we did it we found that after countless hours on the web trying to get support and on the phone trying to speak to a human that there was no support available. After researching it and turns out they do not support their devices for any reasonable amount of time and I can't even find a driver to make this thing do basic scans. Before you consider buying this just look on the Internet. You will find the real story about this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

User beware, still getting bills long after canceling service. They make it very difficult to cancel and even after you do they still charge your credit card. Next to impossible to talk to a human being.

Hello Bob,

We'll be happy to help you investigate this issue and get the account cancelled for you. Sorry for any frustration. We have opened a case (#662458) and sent an email to you to help resolve this.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I got lots of stuff that I need to transfer to digital and I use NeatDesk everyday and multiple times a day. It has the capability of searching files a lot easier. But some of the staff of the Neat Company is iffy. Overall I've had good and questionable luck with the staff.

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for highlighting how Neat's search capabilities make finding things easier when you need them. We certainly strive to keep our support staff at the top of their game. Thanks for letting us know where we have an opportunity to improve.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

If you want to use this scanner and software on a MAC, don't even attempt it. The old local software version worked fine for years. Since they have gone to cloud based application the product no longer works. Works fine on Windows but not on the MAC. Do not buy if you have to use the scanner and software on a MAC. Numerous communications with their customer support was useless. Do not buy for MAC.

Hi Peter,

We completely understand your frustration. With the release of Mac OS 10.13 the scanner drivers began having problems but we are actively testing updated drivers that will resolve the problem.

In our current testing this has helped resolve scanning issues so we do expect to have an official release as soon as testing is fully completed. If you'd care to test the driver as well, we will send you an email to do so and simply ask that you give us feedback on how well it performs for you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have a business and I do my tax preparation with the Neat scanner. I also do financial reports with it. I have made several buildings, many different units and I have to break everything down by unit, cost and expenses. My previous method was spreadsheet by hand with a pencil so using Neat is great. Neat is a good tool but you have to check each and every receipt you put in because it misreads stuff. I'm surprised to get stuff right as often as it does because you put in a receipt with 10,000 different figures and sometimes it’ll pick up the right one, sometimes it doesn’t, but if you go through and verify everything then you're good. Even so, it's a good equipment and I like it. It works very well.

John,

Thank you for sharing how Neat helps you with creating financial reports and preparing your taxes.

Neat Customer Care

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My husband, John has had a NeatDesk for a few years. He has some serious ADD and he's disorganized, and the software helps. I have a process. I give him a folder, have him put all the receipts he gets in it, and then bring the folder to me. I have my folders categorized based on what property or what it is that I need to have underneath, like taxes. Then I scan it and I put it in the appropriate folder, so that way when tax time comes we have the information right there. I use the scanning feature, however, a lot of times, when I call up and ask for help, it's difficult to get somebody to help me. Nevertheless, NeatDesk is helpful to our property management. NeatCloud works fine and I can do it from my iPad, so I don't have to be in the office and have the scanner. I review what I do and make sure it's correct because sometimes 48.50 becomes 148.50 and I have to change it.

Patricia,

We really appreciate your comments on how Neat helps you organize your expenses and get ready for tax season! We're sorry to hear you had trouble getting assistance. Based on your email you are able to use any of the options to contact support here:

Please let us know if you have any trouble.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I work in IT for a school district. We ordered about 6 Neat scanners for our several secretaries. When we purchased the scanners, the free software came with it. When our campus went through a computer switch, I had to re-install the software. Turns out it is now subscription-based. Why have your customers pay hundreds of dollars on a scanner, then $10 every month? When I contacted Neat to request legacy software, they gave me the ol' "we don't support it anymore." I said that I understood, but still would like it to avoid the monthly subscription fee. After a few calls, they finally were able to give it to me. An annoying experience, but I was able to resolve it. Now that one of the scanners won't feed paper into it, I contacted the support team again and they gave me a few suggestions. After it didn't work, they asked me what software version I was using. I knew where it was going, but told them anyway.

They then told me that they cannot help me with my issue because the software is unsupported. So yeah, I now have a broken Neat scanner, and the support team won't touch it unless I update the software, which costs $10 a month. I do not understand how this business model even works, and I now understand why the scanner has a 2-star rating, and a 2.5-star rating for the company. All in all, if I do not get support for a scanner because I do not have the latest software, it means you have to first purchase the software, then purchase a monthly subscription, just to get help on a faulty scanner. Makes no sense to me, and I will no longer be doing business with this company again, and will urge other people to do the same.

Hi Charles,

Glad to hear you were able to obtain the legacy software which can be used without a cloud subscription. Scanner paper feed problems are not related to the software (unless there's a communication problem with the scanner or driver). Below are some help center articles to assist with paper feed problems:

You can find additional hardware support in our Legacy Community Site:

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I loved my Neat Receipts so I upgraded to the Neat Desk, one for my home and one for my office. I purchased a cloud program and all was good. The software was easy to search and use, until the new upgraded software. The legacy software was much simpler on the user end, the searches used to be more customizable. I could search very quickly for receipts within date ranges, vendors, category, etc. Searches are now cumbersome and take a lot longer, they can be done but not with the ease of the past. Help is only available for so many days after purchase, and purchasing the cloud program does not give help unless you purchase the upgraded cloud program. Of course, I was double charged for my service, but gave up after attempts to reach someone. The legacy software used to be downloadable, but not that I can find anymore.

Neat had such a great product, user friendly and accessible. I understand change, but making a program harder to search just seems counterproductive. I encourage Neat to get back to basics and make the software just a little more like it used to be. I don't mind paying for the cloud service, I just want my easily searchable files back. Sorry Neat, you have a good product, but look at the pages of people missing the legacy software... I'd pay to bring it back as would many many users.

Hi Andrea,

We appreciate your feedback and honesty. We have opened access to telephone support so that any current subscriber is now able to call for assistance.

We hear your concerns about the features in the legacy software and we are working to enhance the current software so you'll be seeing more updates in the coming months designed to improve the overall experience.

The search feature does work differently from the legacy version but hopefully you'll find the following help articles useful:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My paperwork was out of control and I am trying to make using NeatDesk into a habit. I’m trying not to let things pile up so I use it once a week and it’s been very helpful when getting medical bills just as a cross-reference if something’s been taken out and not having to go through stacks of paper. I can just go on the NeatDesk and look up the date or the doctor’s office and I find out whether it’s been paid and which check was paid. But I’m still in the process of learning how to set up different folders. I use YouTube a lot and there’s a lot of tutorials that people post so that’s been helpful. But the tutorials that NeatDesk has are not that great. They’re more of an advertisement than it is an actual tutorial.

Also my husband thought we didn’t have to buy a membership and that part was not clear. We had it for almost a year when we realized we have to join a membership so we did join the membership. I think that should be just more pronounced on their box that membership is required. But when I have called customer service they are outstanding. They are so patient. They’ll say to me, “I’m going to put you on hold for a few minutes.” And it can be five minutes but they were actively helping me. They were friendly and respectful although I’m asking some dumb questions. I don’t feel rushed. They walk me through it and then they have me redo it myself to make sure that I got it. Their customer service has been incredible.

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for your comments and for recognizing our customer service department and all their efforts to provide genuinely helpful assistance.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have been using NEAT desktop version since 2010 without too many difficulties. When NEAT moved away from the desktop versions I tried to embrace the new web applications but I continue to be disappointed even after so many updates. For starters, using the desktop version one could easily add any type of column header to view and sort your data. In the new version, you are bounded by a limited number of columns and there is no way to add a “projects” column for example. One could live without this if the filtering option was not so darn restrictive. Why have so many fields for the receipt if you cannot search and group receipts not necessarily based on dates or item status. We might want to sort based on a project and another criteria as we could in the desktop version.

Using the desktop version was great when you traveled because once the receipts had download to the software, one could classify them without a network connection when offline. This feature is not possible with the NEW NEAT as you might see your receipt but cannot make changes to the fields. I want to embrace the new software but unfortunately NEAT has made the software very basic and hence restrictive. I will continue using the legacy software until NEAT provides a better means of working with your date. In summary, if you are a user needing a powerful means of saving your receipts to the cloud and having a robust search criteria without creating dozens of folders as placeholders this is not your software anymore. Hopefully NEAT will improve and I will be the first to place a raving review.

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your honest opinion. We always consider customer feedback when making updates to the software and will take your points into account.

One tip when viewing column data is to change from the "All Items" view to a specific item such as "Receipts" which will provide more specific columns for the specific item type and then you can sort by the columns available for that item type.

Hope that helps. We do have plans to make it more robust in future updates.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Five years ago I bought the NeatDesk scanner for doing receipts and that’s the one I still use today. But recently I got a new laptop and I tried to load the software on the laptop and it didn’t have a disk drive so I tried to download the program and it wouldn’t work. Customer care got online for me, helped me to get it to where it works but it required the cloud. It wouldn’t allow me to see my receipts. I’m not that tech-savvy so the cloud was my issue because I don’t know how to get it out of the cloud. I canceled that subscription because I really didn’t need it and I just needed my scanner. I just scan a document and I send it into an expense report. So I had an issue with buying the year program. Other than that it’s an awesome scanner and I love the program.

Hi Rob,

We value your comments and support and appreciate your highlighting the expertise of our tech support department.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I had an old version of Neat and when I was upgraded my old scanned items did not sync. A tech worked with me for almost two weeks to get most synced to the cloud. I then had to spend almost 3 weeks trying to get the items "verified". The tech talked me into getting two new (I thought new only to find they were refurbished) scanners saying I would get 2 years of free cloud. But when I put in my number for the first scanner I was downgraded from the Premium plan I had to the Essential.

I complained and that was changed but I do not know if the second year will be or not. The new (refurbished) scanner says it is not connected every time I go to scan. I have loaded and unloaded the scanner several times. I am once again sending a letter for help. I am very frustrated with the phone help as I have a hard time understanding the foreign accent. Very frustrating.

Hello Nancy,

Sorry you had trouble migrating data from the legacy software but we are glad that was resolved. We have double checked and confirmed you are currently on the Premium plan.

We will have a tech support agent reach out shortly to assist with the scanner connection issues.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Back then I had a lot of papers I wanted to file so I decided to get the Neat systems. I’ve been using it for about five years and I use it around 24 times a week mostly for downloads. I also get different things in the mail and I file them just about every other day if I feel like getting on the computer. I scan a lot of stuff and then I use it. When I need to find stuff I go back in and retrieve documents and NeatDesk helps me stay organized. I recommend it to people all the time. I show them how easy it is to find stuff when you’re looking for it.

Hello Durie,

Thanks for your recommendation and letting us know how useful Neat is in quickly finding items you've scanned when you need them.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I'm an independent contractor. I travel and train and I love how the Neat Scanner hooked up to my laptop. I would use it to scan documents and send my expenses at the end of each week. For a couple of years, I was doing that very regularly and then the projects got fewer and far between. I had to get a new scanner because my older scanner, version 4.5, was outdated so I got an updated one a couple of months ago and that one works beautifully. The next time I get a project where I'm traveling, I'd be using it again. The Neat Company team was always responsible when I needed help. I had totally forgotten how to update my drivers, but when I called in, the rep walked me through it again. That live interaction was very helpful.

Hi Carol,

We appreciate hearing how well Neat's scanner and software work for you as well as how responsive the support team is. Thanks for sharing!

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The Neat scanner helps me get organized. In the previous years, I would take a shoe box down and my accountant had to tabulate everything and charged me a really good price for doing that. Now, the Neat scanner tabulates for me, makes his job easier and makes my fee less. I have a home-based business. I invoice and get all receipts and use the NeatDesk whenever I can, and I’ve done reports with it. However, each time I go in, I have to refresh myself with the software because it may be months before I've done it but, fortunately, I relearn every time. The Neat Company saves me time and money and I have recommended it to my accountant who’s very interested in it.

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your positive feedback. We love hearing how Neat helps get organized and save time and expenses.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I saw my bills and some paperwork all stacked up all the time. It was a mess and trying to keep those is too much. I use NeatDesk every day to scan and file my bills and I've become very organized overall. The NeatCloud app can access my files anywhere and it’s very good. I’ve been using the Neat Company for about 10 years.

Hi Lloyd,

We're glad to hear how Neat helps clean up your paperwork. We appreciate your comments on how convenient the Neat app is to access your data anywhere. Thanks for your support!

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Neat is a great system but it’s disappointing. I have the small scanner and every time I get ready to scan, it says that there's no paper inserted. But I have paper inserted and I pushed it in firmly. Also, I had an agent assist me in transferring all of my old data from the previous information that I had to the new Neat and I thought it was all ready to be entered because it was counting down just like I was shown. But we recognized an hour till all the data was entered, it stopped at about 6%.

I had been on the phone within 30 minutes and he was trying to share different kinds of things. He was trying to give me information and suggestions on how to transfer the data, but there was some miscommunication. It didn’t work the way he explained it to me and I never got my old cabinet transferred to the new which was a major problem. His accent was a bit difficult to understand too so I decided to just stop, wait and tackle it another day. I have not used it in about a month.

Neat has good qualities in terms of having the folders and keeping information though. One example is for taxes. I can make the folders and put all the various information in there. But that doesn’t do me any good if I can’t get my old information into the new folders. I have the old Neat 1.4.8 version and I can see all of my information there when I click on it. But with the new version 4.5.0, the one with the orange background and the white triangles, I can’t get my information. I’ve fallen out of love with a product that I think is great in terms of how they designed it and the capabilities of the program. If they can’t transfer my three years worth of data then I don’t want to start all over. I’m dissatisfied with the experience on the whole.

Hi Fred,

We're sorry to hear of your trouble migrating your data to the latest version of Neat. We previously reached out to you to continue working on this issue and will reach out again today to connect with you and work on resolving this issue.

We just released an update to Neat yesterday. We think you'll really enjoy the updated version of our software once we complete the migration.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I love my Neat program and scanner. It organizes all of my receipts for my business, but I was having trouble syncing the files on my home computer to the cloud so that I could access those same files on my phone app. When I called Neat customer service, Jansen answered the call. She was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable from start to finish. It wasn't an easy fix. It actually took a couple of days for her to work remotely on my computer, and by the time she finished, my software was updated and all of my files are now perfectly synced between my Neat scanner, home computer and phone app. Thanks for the exceptional customer service, Jansen!

Hi Julie,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with our customer support. Jansen will be recognized for her efforts and dedication. We really appreciate hearing how well our support agents are doing.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I do the copying and scanning of my receipts using The Neat company about 2 or 3 times a year, and their customer support has been a great help to me.

Hi Kay,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with Neat and our support team! We're glad to hear our support agents are taking good care of you. If you require assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I bought the NeatDesk 3 years ago and it has always scanned very clear scans that look more like exact copies than scans. However over the last month every time I have tried to use it, it continually failed. Saying that NeatDesk had stopped working. Then I deleted the software and reinstalled, then it began to tell me that there was no scanner detected. I tried everything for a week. So in all my efforts to fix this issue because I use it extremely often, I went ahead and bought the subscription to Neat organization software system and it downloaded. It does scan now, however none of the features that were on the unpaid version are there now, the scans are blurry and the background of the paper color is grey, not white like the paper.

They no longer look like perfect copies, but more like the worst copier I have ever seen. There is no benefit to this paid service except that it hasn't told me that Neat has stopped working or that the scanner is disconnected. So really I paid to have worse copies, less features, and more difficult interface. I am super confused. Please fix the blurry and grey background or tell me how to cancel this service and get back the ability to scan in clean documents again. I love my NeatDesk and I own 2 of them, one for work and one for home as well as bought my mom one. I really hope these issues can be fixed asap.

Hi Carmie,

Sorry to hear the scanner image has not improved. It does sound like the scanner would benefit from cleaning and calibration. It also works best when connected directly to the computer and not going through hubs or other devices.

Please check out these articles to help you clean and calibrate the scanner to see if that helps improve the image quality:

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We'll be happy to help.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I’ve been a Neat customer for many years and I use my NeatDesk almost every day. I don’t use a lot of the power stuff like the tax records. I turn stuff into receipts and then total it up that way. I’ve got my own filing system that I created using their protocols. I’ve turned this system on to several people. It’s 110% better. I have a paperless life. What I do is I take all my stuff that’s worth keeping. Throw them in a big plastic cover every year after I scanned them. Then it goes in my garage. I don’t have to worry about it.

I’ve tried using NeatCloud and it’s pathetically slow. So what I do is I’ve got a scanning app on my iPhone which turns things into PDFs. I find it quicker to migrate the PDFs. Then I just email them to myself and then move them from there to the cloud. I’m disappointed about the speed of the thing. That’s something I’m sure they want to improve.

I bought the NeatDesk, the thing that looks like the breadbox, and also the little portable thing that you see in doctor’s offices about eight years ago and they were working flawlessly for me. I’ve got a big external hard drive set up and I back my own stuff up through there and through Carbonite. So when I saw Neat migrating to this web-based platform, I get it. It’s just one more way that they want to make money. But I don’t need it. Then what happened was, I had a gigantic computer crash. When I went to reinstall Neat, I saw that basically, I needed to go to the cloud. So I set that up which took a while.

The problem is, my NeatDesk scanner which is eight years old and working flawlessly, suddenly isn’t working flawlessly with the new application. So I bought the cleaner, run through the thing and calibrated it. If I scan something with my iPhone to the PDF and then email it to my cell phone, and put it in to the NeatCloud, it works fine. I get a nice, crisp, clean copy. But if I use that old Neat scanner which was working perfectly before my computer crashed, they come up low quality and so light and shaded.

I’m not going to be a happy camper if I have to go buy a new scanner because this scanner was working fine. And I put $500 in that, between the breadbox version and the portable one. I’m on the run for several days. I was going to call technical support which has been excellent. I have no complaints about them. I bought the whole thing where they give me multiple call backs and multiple requests. But I’m very disappointed that for some reason, my scanner which was working fine is not working with the new one. The last time I talked to a technical support he told me it was basically my scanner. I don’t know how that could be. Also, when I put everything in the cloud in a proprietary format like Neat, if something ever happens to Neat, I’m screwed. How will I ever get my stuff back?

Hi William,

We appreciate your positive feedback and honest concerns. We are always seeking to improve the cloud experience and will continue to do so. One benefit of uploading your documents to the cloud via the app on your computer is that it also saves PDF copies on your computer. See this for details: https://www.neat.com/helpcenter/access-named-pdfs-images-offline/

We also recommend making sure the scanner usb cable is plugged directly to the computer and if so try a different usb cable as the cable itself may be the problem.

If you need further help please let us know so we can assist OR contact support directly here:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

My daughter and I both got NeatDesk and I have been using mine for a long time. I use it weekly and always use the scanning feature to put the documents in. And then I also use my mobile app if I need to find a document. And because we’re on vacation a lot, it helps me to look for stuff that I might need to give somebody or refresh my memory. Since using NeatDesk, the lack of all the paper that I have to keep has been a benefit. I have used Neat Cloud when I was at the doctor's office. They needed to know something about a procedure that I had so I get that and stick it in the Neat. And so, I was able to bring it up and print a copy for him. Their technicians are great too. When I had some problems and I wasn't able to sync, the woman who I talked to spent an hour or two trying to get it fixed. She logged in to my computer and fixed whatever was wrong and now I scan and sync perfectly fine.

Hi Rose,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience using Neat. It's gratifying to know that it has helped you find your documents just when you need them. We appreciate learning how you benefit from Neat's features and cloud experience.

Best regards,

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I loved my old Neat program that I could use without having to have my information on the Cloud. Now that I have had to subscribe it took from July 11th until August 18th to upload all of the data I have scanned over the years. Sir Arnold was extremely helpful in monitoring the painful process and I appreciate his help and wonderful attitude. However, I find the process one that took far too long. I am way behind in getting my files up to date and the changes between the old Legacy Neat program I loved and the new Cloud based program are not entirely user friendly. I have watched the videos, many of which seem to provide only text that has to be read... No audio at all, and I still have multiple questions about how to accomplish the simplest of tasks.

The changes between the two are requiring a whole lot of work to get the two to provide a product that will work for me to generate a decent report to have my tax information accountant ready at year end. The latest aggravation is the program seems to time out if I have to leave it for just a few minutes. All this and I've paid for services I couldn't even begin to use with any confidence through weeks up upload time. Now that everything is uploaded and I'm trying to work in the program the customer support seems to be lacking as it appears it is only available "business hours". I generally use the program in the evenings and on weekends and find this pretty inconvenient. I'm really frustrated that I've lost so much time and still have so much work to do ahead of me to figure out how to use the Cloud program and get data into a format I can use.

Hi Patti,

Thank you for your feedback. We reviewed your case and apologize for the long process to migrate your data from our legacy software to the cloud. Now that you are on the up-to-date Cloud-powered software you won't have the types of sync issues you ran into with the legacy version.

We're here to help with any questions or concerns you have.
    Here are a couple of articles that detail how to create tax related reports in Neat:

If you run into any issues you may contact tech support here:

Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback to help us improve our services.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought the Neat Desk Scanner about a year ago in hopes of getting rid of paper files. It was easy to setup and use but I didn't have time to scan all of my documents at once. I have used it periodically over the last year and it was great. I tried scanning some documents and it is no longer working - the scans are all black and fuzzy and not viewable. When I contacted customer service the only solution is to buy a new scanner because I am out of the warranty period. I used the scanner for about 20 scans at the most and now it doesn't work.

The product should be able to handle more than 20 scans without breaking. I had read this was an issues before I bought it - I should have listened. I was told to try purchasing a Cloud subscription so that I would have access to additional services - what good are the services when the product itself doesn't work? Extremely disappointed with this product and the company service. I would not recommend this product at all unless you are ok spending $400 for something that can scan 20 documents.

Hi Renee,

We're sorry to hear you've had trouble with your Neat scanner. The scanner warranty is based on time since purchase and our records indicate you purchased nearly two years ago. However, you may still be able to correct the issue by cleaning/calibrating the scanner or trying another usb cable.

The usb cable should also be plugged directly into the computer and not through a hub or any other device to ensure best communication between the scanner and computer.

Please see the following regarding how to clean / calibrate your Neat scanner:
    Desktop scanner -
    Mobile scanner -
    How to calibrate -

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have always thought that it would be great to have it all in one place because we have kids and we have expenses that I have to write off of my taxes. However, for 200, I just kept passing and not buying NeatDesk. Then finally I told my mom that's what I wanted for Christmas so about five years ago, I got my Neat and I love it. I mainly use it for things that are tax deductible like my tuition, my medical and things for the kids. I just scan it in and then I junk it. I also have a personal business and anytime I receive a check, I scan it in there as well to have a copy and I can shred the check.

I read my receipts about once a month with Neat and I can also use it to scan my cards. So I have all of my loyalty cards there. I can log on my Neat app, pull my card up and then they can scan my phone. I use that feature all the time and it's just something I did and was not advertised because I have a lot of loyalty cards which makes my wallet fat. I don't carry any of these cards in my wallet anymore. Also, I have all my credit cards scanned in there in case my wallet gets stolen and I have all my numbers there as well. However, Neat doesn't have a scan feature on the app for when I'm not at home, so I have to scan them all in at the end of the month. Right now, I have to take a picture, save it, and then upload it to the app to load something on it, which is a pain. Other than that, I have recommended it to friends.

Hi Kristen,

Thank you for your feedback and loyal support! It's always great to hear the many ways our users keep things organized with Neat.

We do want to let you know that the mobile app does allow scanning from within the app and will upload to cloud when you are done. See this for details:

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I'm cleaning out my office and came across the Neat scanner I bought several years ago that still sits behind my computer screen even though it quit working 2-3 years ago. I bought 2 by the way. Shelled out $1000 for one for me and one for my adult son. They both worked for a couple years. We both use the same version of a Mac. And then one day, mine couldn't find the scanner. No matter what I tried. I hate feeling like I throw money down the drain. It takes too much work for me to earn $1,000.

There was no support available. Not even a "how to" to use the scanner in those days. You were on your own to figure it out-- like I never figured out the tags to help you locate a doc. No video. My son told me his quit too. About the same time as mine. I bought them probably 5 years ago, so no receipt. Bought directly from the company. I liked it while it worked.

Hello Martine,

We're sorry for any trouble.

About 2-3 years ago we had a temporary issue with scanners on the El Capitan operating system, however this issue has been resolved in our latest Neat Cloud Powered software.

The Neat Cloud Powered Software requires an active NeatCloud subscription to log in and use. The NeatCloud is a subscription service which offers many benefits such as unlimited storage, access to the Neat mobile application, and the ability to export your Neat data to a select group of supported accounting software platforms.

You can install the Cloud Powered software using the following link: http://www.neat.com/wp-content/uploads/helpcenter/software/Neat-Mac.dmg

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I researched online trying to figure out the best and the most efficient way to scan documents without them getting jammed up and NeatDesk seemed to be the better product at the time. I used it from Monday through Friday for scanning multiple documents and getting them into the correct client files, scanning receipts, and organizing business contacts. I can access the sheets that I'm trying to hang on to with NeatCloud and it has kept them while I'm traveling. I just take a picture of it and upload it right away. It's convenient and I don't have to worry about it.

The scanner is just okay, but the toughest part of it is making sure that all the papers get fed. I wouldn't highly recommend it because the last document seems to always get stuck. I've changed the cover off and it got 25 sheets in there. But the 25th sheet is the hassle and will be wasted. Then I have to redo it and try a different orientation and it takes forever. I lost 5 months of my time uploading into my MAC computer and online. I was just dead in the water.

I called them at the beginning, but they said that it wasn't an elite member or some type of member that I had to call. I called multiple times and left messages and sent emails, but I never got a response back until about a month ago. And we got it resolved. Then the rep tried to upgrade the plan that I have, but why would I upgrade to something that I'm having issues with? I have them at multiple times when I get the paper to clean out the desk and it seems to help a little bit. But sometimes it's more of a hassle than it may be worth. So I haven't been very happy, but I'm back my old way of doing things. I'm trying to work through it and figure out if it's really the best thing to do for what I have.

Hi John,

We appreciate your sincere feedback. Sorry to hear the scanner had trouble with the last scan page. You may get better results by cleaning the feedroller with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol.
    See this help center article as well:

As an active user you can also contact support should you need assistance:

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I recently loaded Version 1.4.8.20 the new software for the cloud and desktop. From start to finish - nothing but issues. The old software worked great but this version is slow and cumbersome getting the files to the cloud and or processing. Auto delete of blank pages seems to be missing. The software crashes on the desktop ALL the time. The support tech has been ok but the developers have failed us. I give the new software a 2 at best as I am finding I am spending at least 30 - 50% more time scanning now than with the old software. I am now actively seeking new scanners for our offices.

Hello Richard,

Neat is continually striving to improve our products and services - your feedback helps us progress in better serving our customer's needs. If there are any other features you would like to see, please feel free to let us know.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I started using Neat Receipts in 2008 with the small bar scanner. LOVED IT from the beginning. Getting rid of all the receipts that I am insistent on keeping, but still having them, genius idea. I didn't mind going through each receipt making sure that the info that was read automatically thru their software was correct. I was even more excited when I finally splurged & bought the Neat Desk where I could feed multiple receipts at a time to scan. While I also went thru each receipt to be sure it was correct, the new scanner saved me lots of time! So I was always happy to tackle my receipts - even if I was backed up a little.

THEN CAME THE MIGRATION TO THE CLOUD... (for me in 02/2017) and sadly, it has been the beginning of the end for me. Currently I am waiting for a phone call from Neat CustServ that they suggested, so I have not turned it into the tech scrap pile just yet... we'll see. But I wanted to review where it all went wrong in case you are looking at this system to buy it.

My biggest complaint is the LACK OF SUPPORT for the product that some of us have been using for years with only happiness & joy. And the LACK OF CARE for those loyal customers. Just nothing but an email stating "Sorry, we're doing things differently. You can migrate by purchasing a subscription." Okay, fine, feeling like I could move into the cloud and keep some things the same... the basics, the bones of the product... and just not use some of the new fluff I don't need. Wrong!

End of #1 leading to my next complaint: I have backed up files for years, and now in the new software, you CANNOT access those backup files! WHAT? Years of receipts diligently scanned, reviewed & stored where I happily could access any receipt since 2008. And now, I can't. The response to my emails has always been a standard "scripted" email about how they've changed, and I can continue to use the old stuff but they don't support it. Back to complaint #1... they don't care! The worst part of this right now, is that when I went to sync to the new cloud-based software, it kept crashing.

Having all of 2015 & half of 2016 on there, my first thought was to back-up the old 2015 files - making the sync size smaller, then try again. The sync acts like it works, but there are no receipt images with what supposedly synced!?! Early summer, I needed a 2015 receipt which is just trapped in an .ndx. file. This is when I realized I cannot access those files, and they give no help except the scripted email that I noted above. So far, I still cannot access my backup files.

Complaint #3 (& I must say, I'm apparently not the only person with these same issues reading just this one website alone.) I agree with another reviewer on this site stating #3: I really am so frustrated about making this whole thing a career (meaning it's taking waaaay too much of my time) in trying to figure out what went wrong and where to go from now, b/c certainly there is some other software that will let us just scan and organize our receipts easily without all the other fluff I don't need. I don't even mind paying a subscription to just be able to use the desktop app and scan (the basics) and be able to get updates just like any other subscription that comes with all software nowadays. I get it, it costs money each month to support, update and develop the software to meet changing needs. I stated earlier that I get some people want to use the cloud. I DON'T.

Leading me to complaint #4: I thought early on, "Fine, actually it will be easier to have my kids and husband send their personal receipts to me remotely thru the phone app, so they don't have to save receipts and try to get them to me." Great - some fluff that could work for me - Until I got the images!?! UGH! Half I can't even read... too dark, blurry, etc. Omg!?! And I'm thinking certainly businesses can't use images like that. My hubs has to scan his receipts into his work site to have them reviewed & paid on. Obviously anyone can see how images scanned are gonna be better images, so why are they getting rid of the simple scan option?

I also don't care if they stop making their own scanners and just use a software connection to brand-name scanners - for me that won't be as easy as our printer/scanner/fax is in our home office and my laptop is in my study with my Neat Desk scanner right there by my side - but hey, I get it. That's a huge overhead cost, I'm sure.

My 5th & final complaint is that today, I just thought I'd roll the dice (given that the moon & sun are aligning as I type) & I tried to scan using the desktop app just to get some of these receipts scanned that have backed up since February. And it doesn't even work the same way. I was just sitting here not sure how to proceed; hoping the CustServ rep will call soon; made a list of things to ask; started to google what other options are out there for me; and now I'm writing this review.

My heart is broken when things go from simple to RIDICULOUSLY WHACK when it's just not necessary! I am old-school with a lot of things, but tech is not one of them. I have an I/T degree, & I like to keep up with the most efficient techniques. I just don't get how they lost touch with their loyal users. Hope their gamble to scrap the old and do something totally new works for them! And I hope I can find a solution that fits my needs. I'd love to tell you about the new software and how it works, but I just don't know anything except my failed attempt at having my family send me their receipts via the phone app. So good luck. If you are looking for software that helps you can scan and organize your receipts, files or business cards, this isn't it anymore!

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your review, we certainly appreciate your feedback. Your account with us has been reviewed and we can see you have been working with our support team since 08/1/17. Your most recent support session with our team indicates your files are syncing to the Neat's cloud service. If you have any further questions please respond to support ticket #631911 and our team will be ready to assist.

Also, you may continue using Neat's legacy desktop software for as long as you like if you prefer to continue using that particular version of the software. We understand some users may prefer not using a cloud service or signing up for a subscription plan. We even have an active customer community forum available for any user choosing to remain on Neat's legacy desktop software that is moderated by our technical team.

We hope this information is helpful to you and if you have any questions on getting the most out of Neat and our services - just drop us a line!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Back in 2014, I knew of Neat. However, they did not say how they were backing up or explained to me how they were doing anything. Had they told me about how they do incremental backups, I would not have used the software. Neat combines the backups and it shares one backup with another, but there's information that’s lost. They're selling a product to ensure you that your information is secure and it's not. Then, they ended the program for money reasons. The original program 5.7 is the designation of the program. They took the information from 5.7 and they put it up on the cloud. I had Neat for years and I had five GB of backup. When they switched to the cloud, I lost a lot of information. They knew when they ended life on 5.7 that they had obviously messed up. Also, when I complained about the price that they charged me for the scanner, they said that I had a lot of stuff up there. It was not a good business practice.

I wanted to buy a new scanner to go along with their program for the cloud program that’s replacing 5.7 and I purchased it for $79.95 and they billed me for $108. So, I canceled because they overcharged me on the shipping. I can go online and buy the same scanner for $40 less. I gave them the opportunity, however, to remove the delivery charge on that and they refused. It was not a good business practice. They didn’t understand totally what they were doing. They are deceptive overall.

The Neat Company Company Information