2.64/5
  • 1 star
Based on 219 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

816 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My friend has a Neat Scanner and it was bought a few years ago. She was trying to make sure it was going to work with Windows 10. She contacted them to find out if what she had was going to work and where to get a copy of the software, because she knew she had the license, but she wasn't sure if she could just download it or not. The Neat reps were very helpful. On average she uses the NeatDesk twice a day. As soon as she gets receipts, she usually slips them in. It was pretty important for her. She uses the NeatDesk for reports. She prints the receipts out, gets them together for the accountant and so forth. She uses them to do some sort of forecasting because she looks at what she spent that month.

Neat was also able to explain both options so she could decide if she wanted to keep using what she had or go through the Cloud. They were very helpful in getting the product back up and working on her Neat computer, which was very appreciated. It was a very good experience. It's a good product and they have great customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

‘Free trial’ and then automatically deduct 2x subscription price from my account without authority. This company is fraudulent and deserve to be prosecuted. If I was in the US I would be taking legal action. Will NEVER recommend Neat.com to anyone and will tell all my business associates what rubbish this company is.

Hi Catherine,

We see you prefer to cancel your Neat subscription so we will take care of that for you. Please keep in mind that the terms of the 30-day trial that you accepted, clearly state that you will be charged at the end of the trial if you have not cancelled: https://www.neat.com/policies/terms-and-conditions/

We found your subscription under the email that includes "legalwriting" as part of the address. We will cancel and refund you the full amount for that email but there is only one charge under that email, not two. If you were charged twice it is very likely that you had two accounts with one under a different email that did not come up in our records with your name. Please send a private response with any other email you may have used to start a subscription with Neat and we'll be happy to investigate for you.

Sincerely,

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I purchased 2 scanners a year ago and it was working fine. Then it stopped working when I tried to reinstall the software and now it doesn't work. I've been to speak to someone and it has been impossible to reach a human being to speak to. It has been a very frustrating experience.

Hi Angela,

We'd be happy to assist you in troubleshooting your Neat scanners. However, we will need a little more information. Please let us know what operating system you are using on your computer as well as the version of Neat, the scanner model, and the specific details when it "stopped working". Also, in a private response, please include the email address you use for Neat since the one provided here does not appear in any of our records.

In the meantime, you may be able to resolve the issue following steps in the following help center articles:

Windows

Mac

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

BEWARE!!! I have been trying to load and get the software to work for weeks now. Remote sessions with techs go on for more than 1.5 hours with some just crawling around my computer doing nothing, claiming they are looking for something and ignoring my answers to their questions! SECURITY BREACH? They are impossible to reach by phone, as well. Therefore, I am unable to use my machine. I have Windows 10. I have no choice but to take them to lodge complaints with the Better Business Bureau and NYS Consumer Affairs, and take them to court to get my money back.

Hi Sandra,

We've checked our records for your email and found you are still within your 30 day trial period. Therefore, there is no money to get back as you have not been charged at all. If you used a different email for your plan, please send a private message with that email and we'll be glad to look into it for you.

We've also made sure that going forward you will be able to call in by phone for any support you need. Please see this for all contact options:

We see you are working with our support agents this morning. Please let us know if you need further assistance or have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I got Neat for several years now and I like it. I use it everyday for scanning receipts for personal use and it's great. The only problem I have is every time I update my Apple software on my phone, it seems to knock out and disconnect whatever link I have with Neat where I can’t scan anymore. That is when I call the Neat reps to help out and they get to reload the software again and the scanning app. All in all, I’m very satisfied with Neat.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for being a loyal customer. We're glad to hear you are very satisfied. Please let us know if you run into further troubles on your phone. We do update the app regularly so it may help to confirm you have the latest version once in a while. As you know, you can always contact us with any questions or concerns that arise.

Neat Customer Care

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I use Neat weekly mostly just recording receipts to manage IRS reports. It would make it easier for taxes. The only problem I have with them is they're unsupportive. They offer no support unless you pay so much a year or so much a month. I do that so that I can keep using their equipment but they're the only piece of equipment I have in my office that requires that kind of expenditure. Everything works pretty good, though, but it's a little frustrating when you need some help and the only way you can get it is to pay something. Also, I’ve used the Neat Cloud and it works good but sometimes it gets hung up to where I can't get a receipt for a few days. Then eventually, they'll pop in.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I use NeatDesk every day. I scan documents all the time and turn them into PDF's then I save them on my server. If it’s an important document I save the original after it’s scanned so I’ve got a permanent record that I can carry around and it saves a lot of space as compared to having filing cabinets of all kinds of crap that I never look into. With NeatDesk I can reference and it makes it a lot easier to go find the documents as long as I design my chart well enough with each client and what I separate out. It gives me that ability on the computer. I live out of town so I carry a flash drive and download all the documents that I need while I’m with the client.

I have two NeatDesk but that one failed on me so I got another one. My complaint though is that the document feeder is not near as good as the software I used before. It just rolls whatever I’m scanning and the reverse lay puts effort to grab pages. It won’t feed the paper at all if the paper edges are bent in the wrong direction so I roll it back then feed it. Also it will feed more than one page but that’s probably static electricity that keeps the pages together. I had the same problem for both units but I try to work on that and it’s acceptable. The new software is also a whole lot better. The Neat Company is a great company and a good product. I’m pleased with it and it does exactly what I wanted to do. It's perfect for my use. I have clients that don't see scan like I do and I have recommended them. A couple of them bought The Neat Product and they’re very satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I’ve been using Neat for about 8 years now and it is used daily for business. There are some newer ways to get a PDF that are a lot faster and easier but Neat works well when I’m putting data into QuickBooks and I need the PDF to pop right on the computer. We utilize Neat when we’re attaching whatever is scanned to a bill or a transaction in QuickBooks. I’ve had a good experience with Neat and their reps have been fine. I’ve had contacted them about several issues, everything from changing the software from one computer to another as well as clarity when the PDF was grainy and wasn’t clear. They’ve done a good job and they’ve resolved everything that I’ve ever asked for.

Hi Russ,

We appreciate your comments about our hard-working support team. They resolve a variety of issues every day.

Thanks for supporting Neat!

- Neat Customer Care

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Well I have just discovered that all of the money I paid for my Neat Scanners was a complete waste. They were not making enough money so they decided to FORCE users to pay them to have a cloud account. I personally do not want my information on the cloud because the cloud is not secure. I want to use my air gap desktop to retain all of my personal information but Neat has decided this is not acceptable. Upgrading my computer required a new install and now it is not going to happen. The Windows legacy software does not appear to be available.

Hello Michael,

We're sorry you feel that way. We understand that this change may be disappointing, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely. We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance the Neat experience to allow you, our loyal users, to work more efficiently.

The link below will help you download the Windows legacy version of Neat which does NOT require a subscription.
I do want to advise you that Neat legacy software is no longer current:

For assistance with this version going forward, you can visit our Legacy Community Site:

You can ask our Neat Community any question, and other customers will be able to answer you and provide suggestions.

Windows 5.7

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought the NeatDesk and I've had it for at least five years. It serves several purposes. I PDF all my statements from the banks and I also do ordinary receipts. When I purchase anything, their sales receipts are all put in there. I know where my expenses are and what I spent my money for. I can assign things to different areas, so it's a quicker reference to get them up. If something is under warranty, I can always bring up that sales receipt when asked when was it bought.

But I have some issues with it and the guy set me up and put me on Neat Smart Analysis that doesn't even work. I process something, and every time I go into it, it still says it’s processing. So, that's worthless to me. And I don't really appreciate anything of my personal business being in the cloud because there are too many hackers out there that can get my information out of that. So, I'm calling them back and see first of all why that smart analyzer doesn't work. I can't get free tech anymore though and I used to be able to. And sometimes, it takes a while to get in there. It took them over 10 hours to take care of me when I called in the last time. The guy I dealt with took a long time doing his thing, but he was nice and called me back when he was supposed to.

I like the paperless lifestyle. It's nice. But they got some glitches in it. One is if I archive something, it all goes out into an archive file. And if I ever bring it back, it takes forever to get it back. Putting it into archive takes a long time, too. It's time-consuming and that's one of the biggest things. And I've got a pretty fast computer with an i7 processor. Sometimes, I have to totally go down and come up again because it'll say such things as, "Paper not found" in the scanning thing, or "Neat has stopped working." I don't know what's causing all that to happen. I also have some questions such as if I create an archived file, can I just type in what I'm looking for? And will it be the only thing that comes back out of the archive. I don't know exactly how that works, and maybe that doesn't. Nevertheless, it's a good system. There's just some things in it that aren't good.

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your feedback on both the positive points of using Neat and the points you mentioned that could be improved. With your account, you should have no problem contacting support during normal hours. It sounds like you are using the retired legacy software which has limited support. You can visit our Legacy Community Site:

However, it does sound like you may be able to clear up the problem with processing items by following steps in one of these help center article:
Windows:
Mac:

Please let us know if you have any questions. We appreciate your business and support.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

The Neat Company does what they say they’ll do and I’ve been using their products for ten years. The guy I worked with was very helpful and I use the NeatDesk every day. I’m able to locate the information that I need on demand. It’s expandable and adaptable and I use it to create reports, manage finances, and organize business contacts. However, the Neat mobile app doesn’t work. It freezes up, shuts off and goes away. It won't even download information so I usually use the web page through my iPad.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your long-time support, Bruce. Glad to hear how Neat meets your needs.

We'd like to assist with any mobile app issues you are having. If you haven't tried already, we suggest to remove the app from your phone and then download a fresh copy of the app and sign in again to see if that helps correct the problems you describe. Please let us know how that works for you. You can also reach out to our support team if you prefer:

Best,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I’m not a business person, but I like to keep my receipts. Once, Motor Vehicles sent me a letter telling me that I owed $800 worth of tickets that I had eight years ago. I went down there and told them that was ridiculous because I’ve registered my car every year or so since then. How could I have registered my car if I owed $800 worth of tickets? What they told me was, if I didn’t have the receipts, I owed them money or they were going to come and tow my car. So I had to give them the money again. After that I figured to keep my receipts. I saw the little Neat receipt commercial and I bought that. It was cheap and it was good. It still works. I had a bunch of business cards and I need to look through them every now and then. I also had 10 years worth of receipts in my closet. I used my Neat, put them on a computer and got rid of all these papers and cards. They come real handy even though it’s 10 years later.

However, the software that I put in was supposed to be lifetime. There was no charge for it. I still have all the paperwork, unfortunately the only thing I don’t have is the number that goes with the CD so I can’t use it. I called up last week and I downloaded a 30-day trial offer. I thought that was kind of unfair because the software was free when I bought it. I should have been grandfathered in.

Nevertheless, the people there are very helpful. My scanner didn’t work with the buttons on the top, but it worked fine if I used the buttons on the computer screen. The lady fixed that somehow. Then the update came yesterday and I updated the software. The buttons don’t work again so I have to call back and get her to do whatever she did again. Also, I had a lot of important pictures and papers on my original software and they told me there’s no way to get that back. But these things happen and I’m not upset. I would definitely recommend them. I’ve dealt with companies where they don’t help you. With The Neat Company, it was a good experience. I like the fact that they stand behind their product. It’s a good little machine to have around the house. It makes things easy. I plan on putting the Neat mobile app on my phone, too.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's great to hear how Neat has been useful to you in storing and finding documents and receipts when you really need them.

Should you need access to the older version of the software, you can download it from this link:

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I wanted to get some documents from paper to the electronic format so I can do some clean-up and filing both for work and personal purposes. I use the NeatDesk every day and I use its scanning feature the most. Plus, it’s easier to find invoices when there's a question. Also, I’ve used the NeatCloud and it feels pretty good. In some cases, it works better than the desktop. It’s been a good product for me and I enjoy it. I recommended it to others.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I was looking for some kind of scanning mechanism. At that time my printers were not very friendly with that kind of stuff and with the Neat program, too. But when I’d scan stuff in my Neat scanner, it would pull the information out. It was fabulous. It’s also a great program for organization. The first couple of years that I used my Neat scanner and software were awesome. However, I didn’t know if something happened with my computer system or if it got too overloaded. I ran so much paper through it and I burned out one scanner. The next one, some of our staff got locked out, but they were able to retrieve a bunch of the stuff back.

Some of the things that the program does are pretty cool. However, there’s some tweaking that we needed to have done and we can’t get our questions answered. It seemed like we had problems getting through customer service or getting some of our stuff answered and our problems fixed. The wait time was one thing, but the knowledge of some of the stuff that we needed to have help with wasn’t there either. We had problems with the Neat going into QuickBooks. I haven’t dealt with that for so long and we were using it in a different way than we had been the last couple of years, so I’m not automatically shifting it from Neat to QuickBooks. But one of the greatest options is to have that skewed over there.

Nevertheless, I love the product. I’ve done the online stuff, and I love it, too. I had a gal in my office who's scanning everything through her computer. I had been out of the office quite a bit, and I could just jump online and look up stuff pretty lickety-split. That was very easy. I’d go out there and I just search by what the amount was for invoice. And about 95% of the time it would pull it up. It puts it in the Neat program where it’s got all the little line items. Sometimes the total amount would be $17.10, but my scanned in sheet would say $1,523. But if I put in that $1,523, it would pull up the right invoice, which to me is amazing. I could look at the totals and compare them. I can see if it isn’t right, fix it, save it, and it's all good.

Hi Janice,

We're glad to hear you're an enthusiastic Neat user and love hearing how helpful it can be to find items quickly when you need them.

If you'd like to share any QuickBooks connection questions or concerns, please respond and we'd be happy to assist you. Likewise, you can also contact support through phone, chat, or email:

Best regards,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have used the Neat scanner for receipts for the last few years with few problems (the filing system could use some help to make it more user friendly). Went to scan something today and all of sudden all of my files are gone, software doesn't work and I get a message that to continue to use the scanner, THAT I PURCHASED, that I would need to subscribe to a monthly service. In reading some of the reviews that had the same gripe that I have with them a company rep has stated that you can go on and download Legacy drivers and still use at no cost. I have been working on trying to successfully make that work for the last hour and a half. Always end up with the same message "Your free trial has expired, you need to subscribe to a plan". I'm using a Mac running 10.13.1. If there is truly a way to use this scanner by updating I would like to know how, otherwise I would strongly advise others to buy a standard scanner.

Hi Lisa,

Sorry for any confusion. The current software works directly with our cloud services and does offer a free 30-day trial prior to starting a subscription. However, the legacy version will work without a subscription to Neat's cloud service but is no longer updated as the cloud version continues to be.

You can install the legacy version from this link:

You may need to update the driver for OS 10.13. This article will walk you through the steps to do so:

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I was on the phone with a representative and/or screen sharing my computer with him for AN HOUR and he didn't know how to fix the issue in the slightest. The representative I spoke to before him was in Customer Service rather than Technical Support, and he was completely incompetent as well. I had to spell out my email address a good four times, and it's a long address. Another thing is it's unnecessarily difficult to reach a person when calling Customer Support, but don't hold your breath even if you do. They don't know how to fix your issue. There's also a lag in the phone communication, so you're constantly interrupting each other.

Another thing is when you're screen sharing, the screen lags every time they do something on it. After spending an hour, maybe more, on a SIMPLE issue, I stopped sharing my screen, and fixed my issue on my own in SECONDS by trying some things that I wished he would try while he was screen sharing my computer. DO NOT CALL THEM. THEY WILL WASTE YOUR TIME.

Hello Anna,

We apologize you had such a frustrating experience resolving your support issue. We provide multiple ways of contacting support so our customers can choose how they would prefer to contact us: https://www.neat.com/helpcenter/how-to-contact-us/ and we are planning to add new options to make it even easier to contact us.

We'd like to look into this case to improve that process in the future so you and others can get the help you need quickly. If you would send a private message with the case number and email used for your Neat account we would appreciate it. It will help our ongoing efforts to improve communication and support.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

This NeatDesk is my third scanner. I have been buying it for about eight years. I use it daily and I like that I can scan items for work and personal life. It's very convenient being able to scan directly to the Cloud with all my equipment being synchronized. The way it's organized, it understands what a receipt is and what an invoice is. It's really easy for me since it saves a lot of money for me to classify things, and I like it. The Neat Cloud on the go was just installed and I found that I can use it even on my cell phone. It's working and I like it as well.

The only thing that I don't like is that the one that I bought had a short life. It only lasted a year and a half, so I had to buy a new one. I still have the one that was damaged since I don't know where to send it and get it fixed. Nevertheless, The Neat Company has a very good product. Although it needs some adjustments, I like it for what it does and I have already recommended them.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your comments and support, Armando!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

For the past year and half, my Neat Desktop scanner has not worked properly. I paid over $300 for this scanner and every time there was a Mac update (Mac OS) there were problems with the Neat Scanner. I have uninstalled, deleted appropriate folders in the ~/Library, everything and nothing works. When I reinstall the Legacy software I still cannot scan. Sometimes nothing happens when I click Scan. Sometimes I get the OCR error message (No input image for NSDK3 supplied). Regardless, nothing will work. I have taken great care of this scanner. It is in perfect working condition other than I don't have updated drivers.

This is the only company trying to pull one over on their customers. They want us all to purchase the monthly/annual iCloud subscription which I will not. I don't need it. I have my own server and already pay for document storage on the cloud. I just need my Neat Scanner to work properly. I understand Neat wants to expand its customer base and require subscriptions for doc storage but that is not fair to those of us who purchased the scanner under a different premise. My next step is to file a formal complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. From what I have read under the Federal Consumer Laws, Neat cannot change the terms of a purchase for customers who purchased scanners before their new business model was implemented. I have just never heard of a company not providing updated drivers for their hardware. I encourage everyone else reading this to do the same.

Hi Jane,

We do have an updated driver for the issue you are referring to, but we do not see that you have attempted to contact us for assistance. Do you happen to have a case number for a support incident? We see you signed up for a free trial back in 2013, but unfortunately, no other communication from you. Please let us know how we can help. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I use a macOS computer and a Neat Desk ND1000 scanner. I upgraded my computer's operating system to macOS High Sierra 10.13. I decided to upgrade my service with The Neat Company to their cloud based service. I was having technical trouble getting my scanner to work with the new operating system on my computer. I went online to The Neat Company website, went to their Support - Help Center, looked over the FAQ's and determined that I needed to initiate a live chat session.

It was answered immediately, and we immediately started to fix the problem when Alexa, the service technical support person. Using an online application to remotely control my computer, they solved the problem and I was back in business in 30 minutes. I use my Neat Desk Scanner daily, it's essential to my business. This free technical support was quick, responsive and results oriented. I highly recommend The Neat Company line of products and their technical support is truly the best!

Hi Kevin,

We certainly appreciate your feedback and letting everyone know how successful you have been in using Neat. Please reach out to us in the future if we can assist you in anyway.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I tried to get someone on the phone to help with my problem. It was very hard and being 75 I needed to talk to someone. Not being a comp person I needed someone to walk me through the steps to make me be able to use my neat program.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the feedback. If you need any assistance we can make arrangements for a technical support representative to contact you back. Please reply back here if you have any additional questions or would like us to give you a call.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

It took 6 days to sync my Neat data to your new software via the Neat cloud. Your tech was very helpful, however the data kept showing bad data error code 137 and disconnected while transferring. Finally completed after I had to discard a number of receipts in order to continue. It appeared that when a receipt did not have a PDF picture it would crash. Seems to me that the software could be made to work through this glitch. Why can't the data be transferred directly rather than through the cloud???

Hi Helmut,

We're sorry for the frustrations with the 137 errors. The transition from the legacy software to the newer cloud-based software does work best when syncing since the software works directly with the cloud. Now that you are in the cloud it will work much better for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We'll be happy to assist.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

After many years of successful using NEAT, it has failed to open. Have made several attempts to get some answers and/or someone to advise me, to no avail. I am not able to access any of the information previously scanned and do not know where to go for support as NEAT 5.5 will not recognize me. HELP.

Hi Benjamin,

We see you are using a retired version of the Neat software. If you are interested in using our latest cloud-powered software, we can help you through migrating your data and setting up your connection to access Neat anywhere and at any time. Please let us know and we will reach out to you. Have a great day!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Bought my scanner in 10/2013. Have had many issues syncing to the cloud and after many emails back and forth, could not solve the problem so I cancelled the cloud account with Neat. Also, I feel in a relatively short period of time, my scanner became an EOL product so there was/is NO SUPPORT. I just bought a new laptop and we copied all program files to the new computer and the only one that won't run is Neat. I can't find my original disk to reinstall and if I'm reading their website correctly, I can't even call them! I'm going to export everything from my data files as a PDF and I guess toss my Neat Scanner that I paid $400. I even bought another one for a friend for Christmas that same year. $800 and now I have nothing.

Hi Linda,

You scanner is still supported with our cloud-based software, we simply no longer provide updates or support our legacy software. If you would like us to help you migrate over to our cloud-based software we can certainly help you - we are even offering a special offer for those interested. Please let us know and we will reach out to you.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

With the recent rework of Neat desktop software, the usability went from "fair" to "weak." I really don't want all my receipts in the cloud and don't think I need Neat's cloud servers when the OCR barely gets vendors and amounts out of receipts. And no, I really don't find much reassuring about Neat's promises of cloud security. I was sticking with Neat because scanning long, narrow, parchment-paper-thin store receipts on anything other than a receipt scanner is flat-out ridiculous. Smartphone camera? Are you kidding me? Using the NeatReceipts scanner has been smooth, reliable, and fast. Anyway, I lost scanning capability due to upgrading my computer to macOS 10.13. I'm out of warranty and the Neat communications seem to tell me to go to Hades.

I'm luckier than Neat long-timers who have thousands, or tens of thousands of receipts locked up in Neat. But to protect my access to my own records, I am going to have to extract them from wherever the Neat software hides them, just in case I want to stop paying them for the privilege of seeing a few hundred PDFs with my own information on them. I have no idea why Neat thinks this is acceptable customer service because I'm flat out furious.

Hello Andrew,

We do apologize for any trouble using the scanner in Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra. However, we have some good news for you as we do have a pre-release driver for High Sierra that you can test. Please be aware that since you are using the unsupported legacy software, you may run into some other issues while scanning but it has worked in creating new scans for other legacy users.

You can use the following steps to install the pre-released driver:

1) Disconnect the scanner from the Mac and start or re-start the Mac.
2) Open the folder /Library/Image Capture/Devices
3) Move NeatScannersICDriver into trash.

4) Download the pre-release driver using the following link:

4) Locate NeatScannersICDriver from your downloads. Copy it and place the copy in /Library/Image Capture/Devices
5) Select 'Authenticate' to modify your devices.
5) Once copied to your 'devices' folder, right click on the new driver and choose 'open'.

6) Plug your scanner back in and relaunch your Neat software to try to scan.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Neat® Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

There is no rhyme or reason to this software/scanner. I was suckered back into trying to use Neat when they went to a cloud based system. After spending hours scanning a year's worth of receipts, I was kicked out for no reason and had to contact customer service. Calling the number I was prompted to call, I was hung up on five (5) times by an automated system that insisted I didn't have an account.

With some forensic research I was able to find a sales number that resulted in someone helping me. He had to email me three times to get a password that would work and then show me how to reset my password. No explanation that explained why this happened. Having used Neat receipts previously, I was kicked out and told my software was no longer supported. I bought these new scanners and realized the old scanner worked fine, but the new software is an annual fee that renders the scanner inoperable if you don't pay. :( Pretty annoying and really high maintenance.

Hi James,

Sorry to hear of your frustrations but we can help. The scanner can be used with our legacy software. The subscription for the cloud-based software gives you online storage and access from anywhere you can get an internet connection. We continue improving the software through regular updates for enhancements and better stability.

If you prefer to go back to the legacy software you may do so but please be aware the older software is no longer supported directly. However, we do provide a community site where other users will be able to answer you and provide suggestions:

Regards,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

We received this as a gift. Did not open it in for six months. When we did it we found that after countless hours on the web trying to get support and on the phone trying to speak to a human that there was no support available. After researching it and turns out they do not support their devices for any reasonable amount of time and I can't even find a driver to make this thing do basic scans. Before you consider buying this just look on the Internet. You will find the real story about this company.

Hi Ben,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. How about we have an agent reach out to you and get you set up with your Neat scanner? Please look for an email from our team of technical support experts.

Hope to speak with you soon!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

User beware, still getting bills long after canceling service. They make it very difficult to cancel and even after you do they still charge your credit card. Next to impossible to talk to a human being.

Hello Bob,

We'll be happy to help you investigate this issue and get the account cancelled for you. Sorry for any frustration. We have opened a case (#662458) and sent an email to you to help resolve this.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I got lots of stuff that I need to transfer to digital and I use NeatDesk everyday and multiple times a day. It has the capability of searching files a lot easier. But some of the staff of the Neat Company is iffy. Overall I've had good and questionable luck with the staff.

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for highlighting how Neat's search capabilities make finding things easier when you need them. We certainly strive to keep our support staff at the top of their game. Thanks for letting us know where we have an opportunity to improve.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

If you want to use this scanner and software on a MAC, don't even attempt it. The old local software version worked fine for years. Since they have gone to cloud based application the product no longer works. Works fine on Windows but not on the MAC. Do not buy if you have to use the scanner and software on a MAC. Numerous communications with their customer support was useless. Do not buy for MAC.

Hi Peter,

We completely understand your frustration. With the release of Mac OS 10.13 the scanner drivers began having problems but we are actively testing updated drivers that will resolve the problem.

In our current testing this has helped resolve scanning issues so we do expect to have an official release as soon as testing is fully completed. If you'd care to test the driver as well, we will send you an email to do so and simply ask that you give us feedback on how well it performs for you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have a business and I do my tax preparation with the Neat scanner. I also do financial reports with it. I have made several buildings, many different units and I have to break everything down by unit, cost and expenses. My previous method was spreadsheet by hand with a pencil so using Neat is great. Neat is a good tool but you have to check each and every receipt you put in because it misreads stuff. I'm surprised to get stuff right as often as it does because you put in a receipt with 10,000 different figures and sometimes it’ll pick up the right one, sometimes it doesn’t, but if you go through and verify everything then you're good. Even so, it's a good equipment and I like it. It works very well.

John,

Thank you for sharing how Neat helps you with creating financial reports and preparing your taxes.

Regards,