1.96/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

The Neat Company

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

View More View More

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

The Neat Company Reviews

Original review: March 27, 2019

I was using Quickbooks before but I didn't like it as there were so many steps. I got NeatDesk and with it, all I gotta do is check and make sure it’s got the right information in the right spots. If it doesn't, I correct it and then it’s on to the next one, so it saves me time. Also, before, I was putting the receipts from my business on Excel but then when I discovered that I could do that with NeatDesk, I've started putting my receipts on there. I would use it for the whole year now. I use NeatDesk at the end of the year and because I get to take the tax off of my business, I really like that I'm able to separate the total and then the tax. Another thing is, with the plan that I have, I could call them and it's been well worth the money. I was very pleased when I had to make a phone call. The people I talked to explained things to me in a very easy way to understand.

Michael,

Thank you for writing a review! We are happy to hear that you have noticed the simplicity in using Neat! It is always great to hear that the system has saved time! Kudos to the support team for providing excellent assistance and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I love my NeatDesk. I’ve been using it for about nine years now and I use it a few times a week to scan my receipts. I have it for my tax purposes and for business receipts. At first, I was able to save all my receipts directly into a flash drive then I take it to my accountant. That old version was more simple. Now, you have to go through several steps and save it as a file, and I finally got that figured out this year. And then, I can set up different files per year and put the receipts in each file - like if they are business receipts or house receipts. For 2019, I go on the Neat, and then I put our rental property in one file so I can keep that, then at the end of the year, go through and figure out what the totals are.

The thing is, if I don’t keep up my yearly subscription, then they won’t give me technical support. There has also been a few reps who don’t understand what you’re trying to explain to them but that’s the language barrier. Other than that, the ones that I’ve spoken to have all been good and helpful. I would recommend NeatDesk.

Avav,

Thank you for writing a review! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your Neat Desk and it keeps you well organized. Unfortunately, some of our plans do not include Live support and we apologize for any inconvenience that could have caused you. We are very happy and appreciative of you choosing Neat!

Get expert buying tips about Expense Management Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 6, 2019

I would save my documents to my computer and import them into The Neat scanner so that I could sort them if I need to look for them. But then The Neat Company started making everything Cloud-based, which I don't like. The Cloud-based is fine if that's what you want, but I wanted to have a local place to keep all my stuff. So now I have to go through an extra step, and import it to my computer if I need to. It's crazy.

Also, the scanner doesn't work sometimes, and I can't get on it. It freezes up and it just sits there half the time of the program. I go to import something, and it doesn't bring up any of the information. I have to hand type everything in. Right now, I can't even get the program to come on, and I'm very upset. Sometimes, it comes on, and one day it doesn't. It's been horrible. It's also hard to find the number to call them, and I can't even remember where I found it. It's not easy to access their phone number. Nevertheless, the scanner that I bought provides some way of organizing my documents, which is what I want.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you Karen for leaving a review!
      We are glad to hear that the scanner you have purchased is providing organization. For the issues you are experiencing, we can definitely have a tech support agent assist you. Please send a private message with a good phone number and time to call so we can assist you.

Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Thus far, I've scanned a lot of invoices for one of my clients with my NeatDesk. It has been fantastic because it categorizes everything. I'm the one doing the financials on a monthly basis for clients for clients. I can get those all together for year-end when it comes to doing their taxes. Also, another client of mine has a computer in the Neat Cloud which he can tap into. With it, he can see all the invoices he needs to and review them to see if there are any strange things popping up.

A lot of times, we're looking for an invoice and I say that what is on the Neat Cloud are all the invoices that are scanned. Thereafter, we take it to another level wherein the client has these businesses wherein when the people there go to pay for something, they charge and charge it. So, I see all the invoices come through and the client will look through his charge receipts to make sure that the invoices I have on my end match out. If they don't, the Neat Cloud is gonna throw a flag and say that we're missing an invoice. So, the system will go back to the person who bought whatever and say that it's critical that if they buy something, they should throw the invoice in an envelope that has each of the locations. That envelope would then go to me so I can scan the invoice and categorize it.

The system is interesting. It's a good way to keep track of your invoices. I've been an accountant for 30 years now, whatever, and there's a lot of people that are so worried about the IRS or the state taxes. This way, clients have evidence right here. If ever they get audited, they can print out those invoices. Moreover, it's an audit trail and the client even pays some of his guys' bonuses on that too. If he has all the invoices, those guys will get a bonus too. Though scanning all the invoices takes a bit of time, the Neat System has been fantastic overall.

Wayne,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review! We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed you NeatDesk scanner and the software. It is not to hear that you are able to stay completely organized and easily have important documents readily available for usage at any time. Thank you so much for the kind words and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I started using Neat on January 1 of 2012 and I have used it ever since. I scan every receipt from personal to non-personal. I have the setup in categories just like my tax forms. I can also look back at an instant and tell what I paid for gasoline and how many gallons. Also, I can tell at what convenient store in 2013 and on any given day. It is very simple to do a search and to find any information that I saved. I can categorize things as simple or as complex as I care to do so.

But, I spent a few years trying to decide whether to go from the Legacy up to the Neat Cloud. I read many negatives but very few positive feedback. I decided that with my experience that I’ve had Legacy for six years, I felt it was worth the chance. So, I took the opportunity and purchased the Neat Cloud on January 1 of this year. I have learned how things were gonna be a little different between the Legacy versus Neat Cloud and I also wanted to have access to customer service. I have used them quite a bit since the 1st of January and they have answered every question completely. They have been very good at it.

Moreover, I like the mobile scan feature of it over the Legacy. It is very simple and I can take a picture of the receipt wherever I am at and it is uploaded to the cloud. And whenever I get a chance to sit down to the computer, it is there. I can make sure it is categorized correctly in the system. I like that I can have receipts and documents emailed directly to Neat versus having it emailed to my regular email which I import over into Neat. I also like that I can email directly from Neat which also saves a step. As of today, I do not think that I’ll ever look back. It was a good step to move to Neat Cloud and it’s just perfect. That aside, I have told my friends that they could not go wrong by choosing Neat to do their stuff.

Brian,

We greatly appreciate the time that you have taken out to write a review. We are very glad that you have liked the transition from the Legacy software over to the Neat cloud based software. We are still improving the product and hope that you enjoyed the many new features that are on the way. The mobile scan feature is definitely very convenient when on the go. It is a feature that makes it easy to scan receipts when you are not by your scanner. Thank you so much for choosing Neat!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

We made the mistake of using this system to store our invoices and files in hopes of being able to get rid of our long term paper storage. We loaded thousands of files into the system. We have had nothing but issues. The delay and lag in the storage system is so terrible it is almost unusable at times. It states that it imports information off the documents for faster cataloging but it pulls random numbers from random places. We even tried editing our invoices so that the number was the first thing on the page and it still does not work with any kind of accuracy. The scanner itself has benefits over other scanners yet it doesn't do well with large volumes.

Long story short and a few struggling years later we have found another system that works well and we want to export our files out of Neat. Well that can only happen one file at a time. What?!?!?! We have thousands of files at this point. They have made it so that getting your own files out of their system a lifetime project and keeps you paying your monthly fees just to have access to the files. At this time we feel trapped and used by this Neat System. I do not recommend using it unless you have a small volume of files to store. Then at the cost it is not worth the headaches.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review.

We greatly apologize for any issues that you have encountered while using the software. With the issues that you are experiencing, our support team would be able to help. Considering we have very limited information from you, we could not pull up any interaction that you had with our support team for assistance. We hope that you are using our web application for the uploading of your documents and not a retired software. Please contact our support team so we can assist. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

We have had several Neat Scanners in our office for 11 years. The newer model came out about 5 years ago and we upgraded. The product was so bad, that we returned them and purchased refurbished older models, which cost us more than the new ones. Now we're being told that we can't use our old scanners without a subscription, but there is a work around with the Neat Scan Utility. Problem with that being is it creates massive sized files that cannot be emailed or faxed. I was told they were aware of the issue a few weeks ago. I contacted today and they won't even speak to me anymore about this without a subscription. I'm currently being ignored on live chat (15 mins so far without a response) because I'm asking for a supervisor. Way to treat your long time customers. If you put out a decent product, we'd gladly upgrade but we use our own database so we don't need a monthly subscription on our 6 scanners.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review!

We greatly apologize for any inconvenience that was caused. The utility is not mandatory to use while scanning and is provided to our customers as a courtesy. Since you do not have a subscription with Neat, we do not supply agent support but we do have multiple help center articles for our customers who are not on a paid subscription. Please take a look at our retired community for your support needs - https://support.neat.com/retired

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I’ve had a Neat ND1000 for more than 8 years and the Legacy software was a snap to use. A scan and image quickly showed up with ability to categorize and drag into the desired file cabinet. Since I upgraded to Catalina OS, and I have software Neat does not support, I had to purchase a subscription which I did not want to do and had a Neat tech work me through install. While the old files were able to be loaded into separate cabinets, only the images uploaded and 600 plus need to be reviewed before being saved. Additionally all documents, receipts, and invoices have the same date of input rather than their original (more work). Give me back the Old software that I can keep locally. This upgrade is no upgrade. I will find a new system and start 2020 from scratch.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review Philip,
      We do apologize for the frustration of the Legacy software not functioning properly while on Catalina OS but that software was retired back in 2015.
      we have made it clear that factors outside of Neat's control could potentially render the solution completely inoperable - putting your data at great risk. We are happy that your data was able to be migrated over with the help of our wonderful support team. We are sure that you will have a change of heart once you experience all that Neat has to offer.

Once again we do apologize for any frustration and thank you for submitting a review!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Make sure you know what you're buying before you put this in your online cart. I have been a NEAT devotee for many years but now that they have changed their software I find it not nearly as useful as it used to be when it was desktop based. Let me explain... First of all this is supposed to make your life easier and allow you to stay more organized... au contraire. It used to be so simple to use but now there are far more steps to scanning and verifying your scanned receipt/document before saving it to their cloud software product. But that's just the first issue.

The real disappointment comes from only being able see the total displayed for just one default numerical column that they call "Amount" in their grid. In my case, I have the "Amount" column displaying the Total on the receipt. It does this by default. But since I also need the HST (Canadian sales tax) amount separated out, I created a second custom column called HST to display just the tax portion for each receipt. At the end of the month, I need to have not only the total amount for all receipts (the total of Amount column) but I need the Total Tax amount as well (the total of the HST custom column)... NO GO!!!

I have tried everything! There is no possible way to display totals of any columns other than the one called "Amount". This renders the Neat software pretty much useless to me and has reduced it to a mere repository for storing scanned images of receipts and not much more. I am of the understanding this is cloud upgrade was supposed to be so much better than the predecessor desktop version, but their customer service has been most unhelpful in this matter whenever I have called to ask if or how it could be accomplished. I have been told that only the Amount total is displayed on the grid and anything else cannot be accomplished even using their Reports tool.

So I have one question for the Developers... Why would the Company decide unilaterally that all users no matter who they be, should only require the total for one column (that being of the company's choosing called "Amount"). I have been very disappointed and frustrated using this product since they switched to their cloud software and I wish NEAT would take a little more heed to comments and feedback left by users like me. After all customers are your front-line users.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review!
      We do apologize for the inconvenience of being able to create the report that you would like. We do have different options that can provide the total number of that column, for example you can export to CSV and gather the total there.
      We also have an ideas portal that you can access right through the application where you can submit your ideas directly to out developers.

Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have cased you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I would give less than zero stars if I could. Canceled account and they kept billing, called several times and was placed on hold for more than an hour. Then they attempted to bill me $74.95 I called and again after waiting on hold for almost an hour they told me my account had not been canceled, and I must pay. Although I had not accessed the account for months and couldn’t. (It was frozen for non-payment) I had no access! What were they billing me for? ** scammers!!! Now they say if I don’t pay, they will send my account to collections. Burn in hell Neat Company!!!

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review John,
      We do apologize for any confusion that may have been caused. We would not continue to bill any customer that cancelled their Neat subscription. just to be clear, not utilizing the service does not equate to a cancellation of service. In order to investigate this situation further, please submit either your name or email address or a case number form your previous encounter with our support team and we will do our best to have the issue resolved.

Thank you.

The Neat Company expert review by Shelley Elmblad

The Neat Company makes scanners and software for individuals and businesses that can help with organization and management. Their products are available at national retailers, including Staples, BestBuy and OfficeMax.

• Affiliate program: Earn a small commission when you refer sales to neat.com when you put their link on your website. Find out more by visiting Neat’s website.

• Free trial: Individuals and businesses can enjoy a free trial of Neat’s premium software in two ways. They can either try the software free for 30 days or receive a full year of Premium software for free when they buy a Neat scanner. Neat scanners come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Neat scanner bundles: Neat offers several scanner bundling options that all include one year of Neat Premium Software. Choose from NeatReceipts , NeatDesk and NeatConnect.

• Industry focus: Neat scanners and software are helpful for many industries, but they have specific solutions for accounting, construction, legal, real estate, insurance and small businesses.

• Everywhere access: Neat’s software is available on all of your devices, thanks to their mobile and tablet app. You can also log into cloud.neat.com for full access and sharing capabilities of your files.

• Best for: Small business owners, payroll departments and independent contractors.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

The Neat Company Company Information