3.33/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1072 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 19, 2019

I have NeatDesk as I’m self-employed and I needed to keep track of my receipts. I use it about one month a year and I use the scanning and expense report feature the most. I also use it to create reports. Using it is time-saving and this method is more streamlined and it has easier analysis. NeatDesk's technical support is really good too. I've gotten a couple of my friends to start using it.

Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your Neat Desk scanner. We are even more happy to hear that it has saved you time as well. Thank you so much for choosing Neat!

Get expert buying tips about Expense Management Software delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

I’ve had the Neat Scanner since before 2012 so I’ve been using it that long. But all of a sudden, they came in and said I had to start paying to be able to use it. I had to pay for a year, worth $80 something. That's the thing that makes me mad. Then they had to convert everything over and put it in the Cloud. But I don’t trust the Cloud. I used to work for lawyers and I know all that can go out and go wrong, being accessed even in the Cloud that shouldn’t be.

I wasn’t syncing stuff to the cloud. I was scanning it into my computer then if I needed something, I’d go back and get it off of my computer. The only problem I would run into was with these really big documents that I got from the bank. They would be 40 or 50-page documents and I would try to scan that on the machine but it would keep processing for hours and hours then sometimes, it would just shut down. Or sometimes, it would give up like, “Okay, we can’t do this, and we’re throwing it out.” Then the file would be gone and if I wanted it in there, I’d have to rescan it.

So when they told me they were gonna have to do all that, I was like, “How do I know you’re not somebody that’s trying to scam me?” I don’t really want my stuff in the Cloud. But they were saying that the system was gonna fail so they had to do that. I noticed that the company started their conversion over three years ago and they’re just now getting to me. They took all of my information, eight years’ worth, and converted it over and sent it to the Cloud without asking me.

When they started converting, it was a nightmare too. They tied my computer up for over a week. Because of where we live and our computer, I would have to go into my computer network and plug the machine directly into my computer. Then every night, I’d have to go in, unplug it and re-plug my TV back in. I could only watch TV at night. I also had no internet for anything else while that was going on. I’d check it the next morning and it would say that they had converted 89 documents. I was like, “Are you kidding me? 89?” I had over seven years’ worth here. It was gonna take forever.

Right now, I can’t even use my Neat and my issue with them has been going on for about a month. I keep getting these errors that some document can’t sync to the Cloud and it won’t go on with anything else. But I can’t get in contact with them so I can’t get it fixed. I keep missing them. I've had to leave a message but then they call back and say they went straight to my voicemail. I don’t know why it would go straight to my voicemail though. I haven’t blocked their number. I don’t know what’s going on with them. I’ve been real upset with my Neat Scanner.

Glenda,
We apprecaite you taking the time out to write a review! We are very sorry for the confusion that was caused but your scanner can be utilized without a subscription to the Neat cloud based software. Please refer to this link for additional information: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also provide a free desktop scan utility that you can use t scan directly to your computer here - https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

We have taken a look at your case history and noticed that you hvae a rather large database. Unfortunately, the larger your database, the longer the migration process will take. Additionally the migration process does not interfere with your internet connection so we apologize for the confusion there.

We really do apprecaite you choosing Neat and we will work diligently to get your files migrated over as soon as possible!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I love my NeatDesk. I’ve been using it for about nine years now and I use it a few times a week to scan my receipts. I have it for my tax purposes and for business receipts. At first, I was able to save all my receipts directly into a flash drive then I take it to my accountant. That old version was more simple. Now, you have to go through several steps and save it as a file, and I finally got that figured out this year. And then, I can set up different files per year and put the receipts in each file - like if they are business receipts or house receipts. For 2019, I go on the Neat, and then I put our rental property in one file so I can keep that, then at the end of the year, go through and figure out what the totals are.

The thing is, if I don’t keep up my yearly subscription, then they won’t give me technical support. There has also been a few reps who don’t understand what you’re trying to explain to them but that’s the language barrier. Other than that, the ones that I’ve spoken to have all been good and helpful. I would recommend NeatDesk.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 8, 2019

I used Neat when it was first a program before they went with their monthly service. Their software worked well and running a small home-based business, it came in handy for bookkeeping. I liked its organization and the receipts to recognize versus just a regular piece of paper thrown in there. I actually bought two of the NeatDesk but then they went to the service where it was monthly, so I quit using it. When they upgraded it, they should have upgraded the software instead of going monthly and I would’ve purchased the additional upgrades. Other than that, they have good software and if you have a massive amount of paperwork, you're gonna have to use a service like this.

Eric,
Thank you for writing a review! We do apologize but we did retire the Legacy software some time ago and are gearing up to release a new product later this year that will include multiple new features to improve the Neat Experience. We appreciate the kind words you have left and are happy that you chose Neat!

Thank you again!

Original review: March 7, 2019

The Neat Company's customer service is crap. It took me three different calls, with three different tech support people to get my issue resolved. And it still wasn't resolved. I had to put up with what was resolved with. My biggest complaint is that their tech support people are offshore, and I can't understand them. One of the biggest improvements they can make is to bring it back to the States so you can understand them. I bought the scanner years ago, and then I switched to having the annual premium. My annual premium ran out in January, about the time I do my taxes, so I was caught red-handed last year, having to pay another annual renewal. I was on the phone for over two hours trying to get it hooked back up. As soon as I can find another way to scan my receipts in, I won't be using Neat anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 6, 2019

I bought a Neat Scanner years ago at a booth set up in an airport when NEAT RECEIPTS was brand new. At that time I didn't need expense reporting. Really just loved the portable scanner capability and bought it on impulse without using it that much. About six months ago I began using Neat regularly for business and invested in a new scanner to do so.

One would think that fast forward to now you'd see great strides forward in capturing receipts and making expense reports. Although I pay a fee now to have my receipts verified by a human, they are often recorded incorrectly. So, while this service should free my time, I have to go back in and correct their mistakes. By the time I am putting together an expense report, I am crunched for time and when I find mistakes by the verifiers, I don't have time to get on the phone and complain. However, after much frustration a few months ago, I did finally call, which took considerable time and I was told of a time consuming method to provide their development team with an ID number for the incorrect receipts. I started to do it but ran out of time and patience and gave up, hoping things would get better.

However, again today, the many errors irked me to the point of calling Neat again. The first technician I talked to never seemed to comprehend what I was talking about based on his replies. Then I spoke with another technician who told me about providing them with ID numbers for each receipt (same as previously told months ago). I expressed my dissatisfaction with having to spend so much time to help them fix their broken system. Finally, the technician remotely accessed my computer and got the information she needed. However, by this time I had wasted a couple hours.

The Neat training module for instructions for having receipts verified states that it only takes minutes to be done, like having a personal assistant. I am not finding that to be true. I had one more receipt to scan before making my expense report, but it took over an hour for it to be verified, delaying me from getting my expense report done. This was the last straw for me and why I came to this website to give my review of this product. One last detail is that the expense reports are not really customizable which for me means I still have to put everything into a spreadsheet on Excel to have it formatted properly. Why am I even using this software???

Laura,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We do apologize for any frustration that was caused by using Neat Verify. The reason being for the request for the ID numbers is so our Development team can thoroughly investigate the issue that you were experiencing. When a unique issue like this arises, we do need as much information as possible to resolve not only the issue you were experiencing but to prevent this from possibly happening to another customer. We do see that you have an open case with our support team and we are actively working to resolve. Additionally, we are releasing a new product within this year that will have multiple new features and previous issues resolved to improve the Neat experience. Once again, we do apologize for any frustration that this has caused and we appreciate you choosing Neat!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 2, 2019

I had an older Neat Scanner and I used a lot before the system changed. But the new set-up of the system is very difficult to understand. It has to be connected to a cloud which means that I can't use it if I don't have Wi-Fi on the road. Also, the whole set up where to store the documents I have scanned is very complicated. I just scrapped it and didn't want to bother with it. I'm really disappointed. It was worthless and I would never attempt to use it anymore. I'm just gonna buy a new scanner.

Christer,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We are sorry for any frustration that was caused when attempting to use your scanner and your Neat account. We would love to help resolve any issues that you have encountered so that you can have an excellent Neat experience. We will have an agent reach out to you directly for assistance so please look out for a private message from us.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Where do I start. I’ve been using the program nearly from day one about 10 years. Today is February 25, 2019 and they have made nearly zero changes to their very limited and buggy online version. Yet they are promising they are "gearing up" for changes in 2019. It's been nearly three years with the current version and it still doesn’t do half of what the desktop version did.

I don’t have a problem paying for a SaaS, providing it lives up to the hype and promises, NEAT does NOT! My suggestion to those who are considering using Neat, is don’t. At the time of this review I have relegated my scanning down to one receipt at a time because if you give it to many receipts it will choke and then you must re scan all of them again because the recovery process is flawed.

One of the things that ticks me off the most is the inability to allow you to edit custom lists you create, such as payment types. I can’t delete the ones that come built into the system. I could go on but I’ve already exceeded my patience level and besides the people who actual drive the sinking ship really don’t care because they have the support personnel taking the brunt of the complaints.

Rick,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review and providing feedback. We do apologize for any frustration that was caused when using the Neat product. We are preparing for a new product to be released later this year with multiple new features to improve The Neat Experience and we hope that you will continue to use the product and utilize those new features. Once again, we do apologize for any frustration that was caused and we greatly appreciate you being a long time customer with Neat!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I will try to keep this short. I have been with Neat since I got my NeatDesk over 8 years ago. Original software was laggy, but it did its job well. OCR worked, you could do decent reports and there were no limitations on extracting your data. Fast forward a few years and the company unilaterally discontinued support for the product, forcing you to get a cloud subscription. Fine, the selling point was a cloud backup and a mobile app. The issue was that most of the features of the desktop app have never been re-implemented into a new version. For example: if you wanted to start a new tax year and create a same set of folders to organize your files, you could not copy your template folder structure. This is but one of the features that you lost, while now having to pay every year.

The straw that broke the camel back, so to say, was the issue of not being able to export your documents. If you have a folder of several documents you now had to go through them one-by-one, if you, for example wanted an extract for a lawyer or accountant. The company that takes your data hostage, while forcing some customers to stay with them will not last long. This is because instead of recommending this company to your friends you are now sharing the painful story of being a hostage of another money grabbing company.

Neat is not the only company that does this. But it is pointless to keep investing time and money into something that ultimately doesn't and can't serve you. Luckily there is still a way to get your files, but this is a hack and you will get a big dump of all of your file losing all the effort of organizing your documents into folders. But there are application that can help you search and organize your files, so this one time bitter pill is the only way out of this forced relationship.

It is always darker before the dawn.

Now, several months after moving my files out of Neat, I am saving over $100 dollars per year, just by having them on Google drive. You can organize your PDFs using many free apps, have Wave or any other free service for receipts, that actually reconciles with your bank instead of buggy Neat OCR trying to guess where to allocate the receipt (it never worked for anything other than restaurants), and gets those wrong regularly. Now my year end reconciliation takes hours instead of days and I know exactly where my files are and can access them anywhere.

If you considering giving your money to Neat, please stay away. If you are with Neat already, find a better software and run. You will never look back. I am giving this gang operation 2 stars because there was at least some value to this service. But after all these years and harassment I feel that even 0 stars is really too much. How many stars would you get a kidnapper who keeps you hostage?

The Neat Company response
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
We apologize for any frustration that was caused while using Neat. The Neat company does not hold any data hostage or force a subscription onto our customers. If you did want to continue to utilize your Neat Scannerthen you can do so here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/
We also provide a Desktop Scan Utility that can be used with your Neat scanner: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

When we need the Neat Desk, we need it. Otherwise, we could use it weekly. We use the scanning features the most, and you can organize it pretty much in any way we want. They can improve on the printer reboot, though. They have moved on past supplying the feeder.

Darren,

Thank you for leaving a review and the great rating! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your NeatDesk and the organization features provided. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have used Neat for 8 years and was very satisfied with it until recently. I use Neat to keep track of tax information in Florida, where we do not have state taxes and can use our sales tax as a deduction on our federal taxes. I would scan multiple receipts in minutes and it would record all the information on the receipts. Since the latest upgrade, it either does not fill in any of the information or it puts information that is not even on the receipt. It takes a tremendous amount of time for me to correct and/or record every piece of information from each receipt that the previous version did for me. It is taking hours to do a job that would take a few minutes prior to this update.

I have called customer service twice in the last 2 days and allowed them access to my computer to fix the problem. They are very friendly, but did not improve the situation at all. I am actively looking for an alternative solution. The current situation does not meet my needs at all. I have loved the program for 8 years, but it is next to useless for my needs at this point.

Selena,

thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We do apologize for any frustration that was caused while using Neat. Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. We appreciate you being a long time customer with Neat and hope that you continue to use the product. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought the Neat scanner for my home. I never wanted to use the cloud base system they are forcing customers to pay for. I bought it with the intention of storing my own files the way I wanted. I tried calling customer service and the system automatically hangs up on me. I tried with online chat and they are just as useless as well. The only way to communicate with a live person is to pay for the cloud service. After much research I have now come to realize that the product I have is now deemed useless even though I paid $399.00 and used it moderately. They somehow have been able to make these machines inoperable and force you to buy another machine and pay for the cloud service. In the end, if this would have been disclosed, I would have never bought this machine.

The Neat Company response

Rafael, you can continue using your Neat scanner as long as you would like without a subscription. We have retired certain versions of Neat software in 2016, but they are still very usable, however, we no longer offer them for download or agent support on these versions. New Neat software versions are subscription based and utilize the 'cloud' for storage, however, we also have a free scan utility that allows you to scan and store all of your documents to your local machine. It can be found here: https://support.neat.com/support/download-neat-software/

Jeff Gove
VP Customer Operations

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I do not use the Neat scanner anymore because changing it from a PC-based to a Cloud-based is a scary situation. My files couldn't be imported to the Cloud without a whole bunch of additional helping hand by the support people at Neat. They diligently work on that. I was amazed for a little small operation like ours, that it required two weeks of work to file the receipts since they were moved up to the Cloud. And I'm not even sure all 100% of them were moved up because it was done manually. There's thousands of receipts. There's no way of checking or verifying that they all got moved successfully.

As years passed, they didn't seem to improve their products. It basically stayed essentially the same. I just tried a product called Wave and its optical character recognition is far superior to whatever I had with Neat. Neat is in real trouble. They probably lost a sizeable segment of their subscribers. I don't know how they're gonna get the confidence level back. I'm sitting here with basically two Neats. One Neat is a PC-based and another is up in the Clouds. If there was some way a comparison could be done, to allow for the subscriber to get some type of confidence level that all the files get moved properly into where they should be, then Neat can move on and try to keep whatever people have decided to go to the Cloud, to stay in the Cloud.

The Cloud is a great idea. But they should have probably instituted it earlier. And the other thing is that everybody is going now to this subscription funding. I figured out that when I bought Neat, I basically just bought the software and that was it. But revenue wasn't being produced by that software after the initial sale. Now, like everybody, like Microsoft, they wanna charge you so much every year to keep that revenue stream up. I can understand why they wanna do that. But they have to tie along into that, a better product and a more reliable product. Also you could not take a photo of a receipt and have Neat operate on it. But with Wave, you can.

I don't even know if they still support the Neat scanners. Also if you have some e-receipts, instead of taking those receipts in manually, converting them to pdf and uploading the pdf, you could just simply print. It would send it automatically to Neat without those intervening steps. So they got rid of that. Neat lost me. I might not even gonna attempt to come back to them.

David,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really do appreciate the feedback. We apologize for any uncertainty you had throughout the migration process but depending on the size of your database will depend on the length of time needed for the migration. The cloud based software was announced in 2012: https://www.neat.com/about-neat/the-neat-story/ and in 2016 the company announced the discontinuation of the Neat scanners. We are preparing for a new product to be released later this year with multiple new features to improve The Neat Experience. Once again we do apologize for any frustration this has caused and we are sad to see you go but we do hope that you reconsider.

Thank you for contacting Neat!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I use The Neat System and I like it. But I find it a little bit difficult to find what I need to get. The instructions on the top are a little bit confusing. So, they could update it a little bit more to where it's a little easier to access files and that I can scroll through them easier. The NeatDesk is a good system where you could scan something in and you can process it through with a piece of paper, or you can get rid of it. And that'll go to a cloud system, so it's backed up. I hope they would make how to use the Neat Cloud on-the-go a little bit more well-known because that's not very well-known. Also, when I had a legal case, I sent my whole thing to my attorney, and he had a problem trying to get through and look at all these things because it was slow to him. So, they could also speed the system up. But other than that, they were helpful when I called them up.

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your NeatDesk. We do apologize for any mishaps that occurred when using the software that became an inconvenience. Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Probably the most antiquated un-user friendly piece of junk on my Mac. I can't drag a file from NEAT to my computer or other storage space as I could with the OLD software. Takes forever to process. Unforgiving... No need to go on as NEAT doesn't listen and makes no changes.

Richard,

We apologize for any frustration that was caused from using Neat on your Mac. If you would like, you can schedule a 1:1 training session here: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/02-11-2019 an agent will reach out to you and provide any assistance you may need with the software. Neat is working on many changes and updates to the software to provide the best customer experience. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this may have caused you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I've had my Neat Scanner for so long. I use it to record every receipt that I take. But their older software used to be a lot easier. The new one, I really don't care much for. If you wanna look at an invoice, it's much more difficult to look at the image with the new software than it used to be on the old software. I've also called to complain about some of the features and I've been told it doesn't do that anymore. When they approve a product, they should not get rid of features that people like. The customer service representatives were fine. Except, they told me, "Too bad." That was basically their attitude.

Lucas,

We do apologize for any negative experience you may have encountered with support. Do you have the case number form the phone call so that we can take a look? Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. We appreciate you being a long time customer with Neat and hope that you continue to use the product. Thank you for contacting Neat!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

The Neat Desk is a good service. I use the scanning feature and having everything in order the most. It's very simple and it's easy to deal with. I will recommend it.

Ana,

Thank you for leaving a review! We greatly appreciate the kind words and are happy to know that your are enjoying your scanner!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My experience with The Neat Company is very positive. I've been using Neat for a lot of years. And then, I needed to upgrade it because I was doing some more sophisticated things. But the software version that I was using was no longer supported. So, I subscribed to their software support system. I use the system at least once or twice a week for scanning pictures, scanning files and going into folders.

However, an online tutorial would be very helpful - like a YouTube type of instructional thing. To access their customer service was a little bit cumbersome as well. I'm also surprised for a company as big as Neat that they don't have a seven day a week coverage. I'm a tax accountant and a lot of my stuff is done on the weekends. They don't need to have somebody there at 3 o'clock in the morning, but on normal business hours like, where they have some additional coverage. I do not require a lot of customer support but when it's needed, it's needed, and to wait till Monday sometimes is precarious.

Robert,
Thank you for submitting a review! We are happy to hear that you have had nothing but positive experiences with The Neat Company! We do provide a weekly webinar that you can attend here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/5466137789322899714?source=Support We also provide a 1:1 training where an agent will reach out to your directly to get you completely familiar with the software: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/02-19-2019

We do apologize for the hours that are provided and hopefully in the future we can supply more support. Thank you again for the great rating and review!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Thus far, I've scanned a lot of invoices for one of my clients with my NeatDesk. It has been fantastic because it categorizes everything. I'm the one doing the financials on a monthly basis for clients for clients. I can get those all together for year-end when it comes to doing their taxes. Also, another client of mine has a computer in the Neat Cloud which he can tap into. With it, he can see all the invoices he needs to and review them to see if there are any strange things popping up.

A lot of times, we're looking for an invoice and I say that what is on the Neat Cloud are all the invoices that are scanned. Thereafter, we take it to another level wherein the client has these businesses wherein when the people there go to pay for something, they charge and charge it. So, I see all the invoices come through and the client will look through his charge receipts to make sure that the invoices I have on my end match out. If they don't, the Neat Cloud is gonna throw a flag and say that we're missing an invoice. So, the system will go back to the person who bought whatever and say that it's critical that if they buy something, they should throw the invoice in an envelope that has each of the locations. That envelope would then go to me so I can scan the invoice and categorize it.

The system is interesting. It's a good way to keep track of your invoices. I've been an accountant for 30 years now, whatever, and there's a lot of people that are so worried about the IRS or the state taxes. This way, clients have evidence right here. If ever they get audited, they can print out those invoices. Moreover, it's an audit trail and the client even pays some of his guys' bonuses on that too. If he has all the invoices, those guys will get a bonus too. Though scanning all the invoices takes a bit of time, the Neat System has been fantastic overall.

Wayne,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review! We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed you NeatDesk scanner and the software. It is not to hear that you are able to stay completely organized and easily have important documents readily available for usage at any time. Thank you so much for the kind words and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Have been using this system for year and don’t mind subscription cost vs ease of use. The software to scan offline but always sync. Since getting Win 10 and Mohave the scanner won’t work > 2.5 hrs. Remote support session they can’t get it to work. Not the scanner as I can run it on Win 7 with Neat 5.7. I am afraid to upgrade the software on this machine. The scanner may stop working.

Anthony,

Thank you for writing a review. We do appreciate the feedback. We took a look at the open case that you have with our support team. We will have an agent send you the Driver that we currently have that will connect Mojave and your Neat Scanner. We greatly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we appreciate you choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We use our NeatDesk every day for scanning various documents for our business. With it, we organize the documents we have by customer and by date. It makes our processes more effective. We use the Neat Cloud too. However, we have to contact The Neat Company very often because there's an issue with their software. They fix the issue when it comes up, but they haven't permanently fixed it. Though we've interacted pretty well with their reps, with that bug they aren't fixing, we are considering moving to a different company.

Jared,

Thank you for writing a review! We did take a look at your case history with the Neat Company and see that you are experiencing issues with your items being stuck in processing. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you but we can definitely help you to resolve the issue if you happen to run into it again. Please let us know and we'll be happy to take care of that for you. Also, you can utilize our free Desktop Scan Utility here: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/ which may help resolve the issue. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I used to be able to send any document online and email directly to Neat, but that doesn't work anymore. What I ended up doing now is crunching everything out and scanning it. I'm wasting a lot of paper now, having to print everything out. Most days, I use NeatDesk's scanning feature, mostly for personal and business needs. I don't like keeping paper, so I scan everything and then shred everything. With it, I have less paper to store and have on hand. I find the process too slow though. When I scan something, I have to go and do something else while waiting for it all to load and register before I can come back and enter my data. It is very annoying. They just took forever to bring their system in line to work properly with Macs. They were way behind with the Sierra update, but with the last Mojave Mac update, they've been much better at getting on top of the issue.

Gail,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really do appreciate the feedback. We do apologize for any frustrations you have encountered while utilizing the Neat software. Luckily, we were able to get a driver that worked along with the Mojave update and we are gald to hear that the driver has been a success! Thank you for choosing Neat! We greatly appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I saw the Neat Scanner in the store and bought it. I do daycare and I thought that would be easier for me. I haven’t figured out how to use it though and I gave up on it again. It has been frustrating. They should have a disc that I can watch and has steps on how to use Neat Scanner exactly like the Books For Dummies, but a Disc For Dummies. Also, it took more than six hours when I got it signed up. I don’t have that time. The lady on the phone was very nice though.

Carmen,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We have taken a look at the case history you have with The Neat Company. We do apologize for the amount of time that was needed to process your order. If you do need any additional assistance with the Neat scanner and software, you can reach out to our support team here: https://support.neat.com/ You can also set up a 1:1 training with one of our agents so that you can have a full walk through of the program: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/01-28-2019 We also have a weekly webinar that you can register for as well: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/5466137789322899714?source=Support Once again, we greatly apologize for any frustration this may have caused and we thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I got tired of seeing all my receipts floating around the truck. The NeatDesk puts all my receipts and all my paperwork in one place. I just use the scanner and put it in my system. I tried the NeatCloud, but it was a pain in the butt so I quit.

Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you are still utilizing your scanner and are enjoying the service that it provides. If you are having difficulty using the cloud based software then you are more than welcome to set up a 1:1 training with one of our well trained support agents.

We also provide a free scanning utility that you can utilize for easy scanning: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

Thank you again for writing a review and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

You guys know that no one would have bought your scanners if you would have been transparent about requiring people to use your subscription-based software crap! This scanner was not inexpensive or cheap and you pretty much said screw the customers. Bad business. I hope you die a quick industry death like Gateway. CRAP!!!

Dee,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not requiring any of our Legacy customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

If you would like to utilize our scanner without purchasing a subscription, please refer to the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also provide a free scanning utility: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

If you would like to purchase a Neat subscription for a special price, you can take a look at the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Like many others that purchased their scanning AND organization SOFTWARE PACKAGE back in the company's "early days", I'm way beyond disappointed that after upgrading my computer I am being FORCED into a "Cloud-based subscription". Basically I have an expensive paperweight at this point. The company is basically forcing me to look at other companies with better options. What a brilliant customer service strategy to force loyal customers that supported your product & service in the beginning by FORCING them to buy into the subscription service or seek other companies products & services. Genius.

Eric,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not forcing any of our customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We originally had gotten NeatDesk for personal use. And then, we started our own business, so we transferred it over to using it for our business. We use it to keep records and scanning receipts to be able to locate them and keep them organized.

Susan,

Thank you for writing a review! We really appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you are staying organized with Neat!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

The NeatDesk is great. I’ve been using it since 2012 and it has worked really well. I bought it with the scanner as I wanted to get away from paper files like monthly bills. And this is my second one. I scan a lot of documents and spend an hour once a month scanning them. My wife pays the bills, she gives all the statements to me, and I make sure that in a year or two, I know exactly where to find them. But although the scanner is a good feature, it’s hard to find the scanned files. Also, they could improve their customer service a bit. It was okay but not excellent. I recently had a problem and it took a while to get fixed. But I’m really happy they fixed it.

Erik,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. We are happy that you enjoy using your NeatDesk scanner. We apologize for the experience you had with our customer support team. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration here at Neat. We appreciate you being a customer of ours and thank you for choosing Neat!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I'm so aggravated. There should be an option for ZERO stars. I've purchased two very expensive Neat scanner over the years and now there is no way to download the software onto my new computer without buying a subscription? What a joke. I even subscribed a few years ago and ended up cancelling my subscription due to its poor functionality. Now I now own two useless pieces of junk without the software. You can't even talk to one of Neat's customer service agents without a subscription. Why on earth would I want a subscription at this point? Buyer beware.

Elizabeth,

We do apologize for the inconvenience but we no longer provide the Legacy software for download. Please take a look here for more info about our retired products: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Even though you are now interested in a subscription with Neat, you are abelt o utilize your scanners without the Neat sofwtare : https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also offer a free desktop scan utility that you are able to utilize with your Neat Scanner: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/request-neat-dsu-beta/'

Once again, we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I as many others on this site joined Neat early on and was excited about the possibilities and ease of the product. The product itself did not really operate as well as promised and as others have said, the consumer gets caught in a bait and switch subscription plan. I gave away the product over a year and a half ago. There was no data stored in my account. Recently I received a threatening email saying I owed them money, not for the time I used the account, but in the last 18 months when I never used it. I asked them to send me some authorization that I renewed my subscription (which they couldn’t). I finally talked to a “supervisor” Ivan, who said he would cancel it today if I paid them money. Don’t use this company.

Anita,

We do apologize for the frustration this may have caused you. We have taken a look at your case history with the Neat company and we cold locate your account. We see that you have signed up for a subscription back in June of 2017. During the set up of the account, there were terms and conditions that had to be agreed upon for your Premium Yearly account. Once a year of service passes, your subscription will automatically renew. Please take a look at our terms and conditions here: https://support.neat.com/terms-and-conditions/

When taking a look at your case history with Neat, We did not receive any communication about cancelling your account until 1/3/2019.No communication was received for the year of 2018. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

The Neat Company expert review by Shelley Elmblad

The Neat Company makes scanners and software for individuals and businesses that can help with organization and management. Their products are available at national retailers, including Staples, BestBuy and OfficeMax.

• Affiliate program: Earn a small commission when you refer sales to neat.com when you put their link on your website. Find out more by visiting Neat’s website.

• Free trial: Individuals and businesses can enjoy a free trial of Neat’s premium software in two ways. They can either try the software free for 30 days or receive a full year of Premium software for free when they buy a Neat scanner. Neat scanners come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Neat scanner bundles: Neat offers several scanner bundling options that all include one year of Neat Premium Software. Choose from NeatReceipts , NeatDesk and NeatConnect.

• Industry focus: Neat scanners and software are helpful for many industries, but they have specific solutions for accounting, construction, legal, real estate, insurance and small businesses.

• Everywhere access: Neat’s software is available on all of your devices, thanks to their mobile and tablet app. You can also log into cloud.neat.com for full access and sharing capabilities of your files.

• Best for: Small business owners, payroll departments and independent contractors.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

The Neat Company Company Information