Hello Roger,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we appreciate your feedback! After reviewing the case, it looks
like your data folder was stored in your One Drive folder. This could have been why your data became corrupted. For more info:

www.neat.com/helpcenter/supported-database-locations/.

For the trouble you have experienced, your cloud plan has been extended for one extra year. Your new Neat Cloud expiration

date is 9/7/2018.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I had bought an older version of The NeatDesk before. Now, I wanted to get rid of paper so I got the Neat scanner. Using it lets me view a lot of things for one particular supplier or vendor without having to have the file folder in front me. I can look at it online. I had a version 5 then I upgraded to the last one where I can hook up to the cloud. But the conversion was terrible. I spent hours with one of their tech guys who was super and helpful but in the end, all of my files got corrupted. I had to go back and rescan everything. Fortunately, I had not shredded the stuff that I had before or I would have had nothing.

It's a traumatic example that the new system is not as easy as the old one. I find it to be a little slower, too. I've done conversions from one computer system to another before but this is beyond terrible. When I'm going from a Neat program to a Neat program, it should fly. I was going from my computer to a Cloud environment and there should be something there to automatically interface it. I had to take a shot in the dark on buying what I bought because of emails I got from Neat. We did a computer update from Microsoft that’s got a store not far from here. Their guys were looking at those emails and scratching their heads saying they can't tell what Neat wanted done in my computer either.

I also don’t like that unless I'm a subscriber, I can't get to anybody. The only way I was able to get to somebody when I was looking for a system-quick general information was after I bought the new version. That's not customer service. I like the program and they got a good product. I might get into the reports sometime though right now, I don’t need it. It's just that the conversion issue wasted a lot of my time. If they wanna give me a couple of years' free subscription due to that, I'd definitely take it.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience! If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I was on tour and our store manager used NeatDesk to do all the receipts. And because I’m on the road, it was so convenient. I have to record every expense for the tour and since I’m constantly on the go, it’s better to scan them and get them an electronic copy as soon as possible. I do it every day. I use the business cards as well. It’s great that NeatDesk streamlines everything, and it makes it a lot easier to knock it out and get it to the accountants that I need to. I also use the NeatCloud on the go and I like how easy it is. If I really stack up my web case, then I scan on my phone and get something done if a runner brings it to me after. I'd definitely recommend The Neat Company.

This is the most horrible scanner, never buy. I tried downloading new software, I tried on Windows and Mac and the software hangs. Does not work at all. Strongly recommend not to buy. I tried support. They are horrible, no help at all.

Hi Donna,

We're always glad to hear our support agents are taking good care of Neat customers. Thanks for letting us know Jansen did such a great job! She will be recognized for her efforts. Thanks for being a loyal Neat customer.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Jansen assisted me today with a problem I was having with my software. She was able to work on my computer remotely and took care of my problem! I am not very tech savvy and it was great to just sit and watch her fix my problem. I would highly recommend!

Hi Angela,

Neat values you as a customer and understands your frustration in being unable to retrieve items. We would certainly like to continue assisting you in correcting this issue if at all possible. Your case history with us has been located and a technical support representative will be reaching back out to you to offer additional assistance. If you have any questions, feel free to send us a private message here and we can coordinate efforts. We look forward to working with you further.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I use my NeatDesk three days a week and it's really good. I use the search button and the scanner so I can scan and document bills and then at the end of the year when my accountant needs receipts I can look it up then I have the image and it's quick. But I've been on customer support several times because a lot of my files weren't syncing to the cloud. I pay the monthly fee to have it uploaded to a cloud but I ended up losing all my documents and I'm not happy about that. It's not so good when I lost a year's worth of documents.

They've tried to assist me well but there are documents that I can't recover so I'm moderately irritated. I could tell the guys that help on support are from India. They're very nice but sometimes it's hard to understand what they're saying. I had the little tiny scanner but now they aren't making scanners anymore so I ended up buying a refurbished one because the other one had kind of died. I used that little teeny one for a long time and then upgraded and got a bigger one. But I'm still with NeatDesk though. Since I had dealt with tech support it seems like everything is syncing well and NeatDesk seems to be in a better place with it.

Hi Roland,

Thank you for the honest feedback regarding how you use Neat to manage you items and the challenges you have encountered. We are reviewing your interactions with our support team to help better identify areas of improvement for us. If you require assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I wanted to try the Neat Scanner out, so I bought one about six years ago. We use them mostly for scanning and storing business cards. We use it three or four times a week for scanning all of our invoices in and warranty receipts and then have them in a folder where I can find them. I also have Neat Cloud on the go set up, but I really don't end up going back for them since it's more for storage than anything else. But being able to scan straight to PDF is a big benefit because I do drawings and I scan and send them to customers to approve them.

I had an email account and I quit using it. Then, if I need something sent to me, all they have is that old email address with the username. Then when I had to change the username, I thought we should be able to go on the computer and take one out and put another one in, but that took half a day to do. They had to go on both of my computers that use them, then delete the account, start all over, copy all the information, back it up, and then re-put it back on the computer. I couldn't believe it took hours to get rid of one username, though I can change the password. Other than that, my experience with them has been good.

Hello David,

Our apologies that the migration has taken a long time. We are working to make the cloud-based software the best experience with added improvements to work better than the legacy software and make the migration worth the effort.

We see you are currently working with our technical support (case # 625189) and it seems the migration is nearly complete. Sometimes it can be a lengthy process to completely sync a large database with all the images and we appreciate your patience. We realize this has taken longer than usual and for the trouble with migration we have applied a credit to your account equivalent to 3 months of service.

We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our products and services.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

With the announcement that the Legacy Software would no longer be supported I set out to migrate to the Cloud platform. At the end of June I signed up for the "30 day Free Trial" and turned on Sync. Two days later the Sync showed complete, but less than half of my documents had been transferred to the cloud. After several days of canned email responses that provided nothing of use, I finally got a call and setup a remote with Customer Support. The representative setup what I believe is an alternative Sync process that is still incomplete but running. This process has "crashed" multiple times per day and sometimes per hour. I am now approximately 30 days into the process. On about day 25 Customer Support extended my "Free Trial" for 15 days and the process has run without crashing for the past 4 days.

In the meantime, I have been unable to scan or classify documents and the work backlog has grown and I still have no idea when or if the process will complete and I will be able to resume scanning and classifying documents. In my opinion, Neat knew of the difficulties and lengthy process that Legacy customers would encounter and purposely withheld the information citing variable internet speeds and database size. The migration process is flawed and much more difficult and time consuming than represented. The result is a sustained disruption of workflow creating problems that will be difficult to correct.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Hello George,

Thank you for being a long-time customer of Neat. We appreciate your support. We're always excited to hear how Neat has helped simplify and organize receipts, bills, and other documents. We hope you get the chance to try the Neat mobile app soon. It's a great way of saving, organizing, and retrieving receipts when you're away from your computer.

We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I'm a meticulous record keeper and going with the NeatCompany is the best way to do it. I have been with them for 10 years. I only use the file drawer before, so NeatDesk is a lot better. I use it two to three times a week and I mostly scan receipts and documents. Also, I occasionally print out of some of the scans on my software. Then when my computer crashed, customer service helped me reinstall and get my files back. It does what I want it to do. It allows me to keep all my bills and receipts, documents and it's easily accessible if I need to find anything. I have also signed up with Neat Cloud on the go, though I haven't downloaded it yet.

Linda,

Thanks for your honest feedback. That helps us know what we are doing right and what we need to work on. We're happy to hear how well the scanner and software have worked out for you. It might take a little getting used to but we're continuing to make improvements in the cloud-based software to make it easier to use as well as more useful to our customers.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 28, 2017

I needed a filing system to do away with so many receipts and The Neat Company would work for me. I used the spreadsheet before but this is much better. I use my NeatDesk almost every day for scanning receipts and keeping them separate. Now, I've got five years of bookkeeping on one computer and it's for rentals so it has helped quite a bit. I log receipts in as I come in and the Legacy program is really good. I'm 71 years old and the Legacy program is idiot-proof.

I also got another one for the household that went off to different computers. They downloaded all the info and I've downloaded their app through my iPhone. I would like to know how to use it remotely, send receipts to the cloud when I'm on the go and pull it up on the other computer. I'm just learning but I don't understand how to use the iCloud drive or Mac scan. But there's no way I can get off the Legacy program on one of these computers. There's too much info and it would be three years translating that. It's really cumbersome.

However, it's invaluable as long as it's working. And they don't offer enough training on it for somebody who's not really techy. They only offer online help and not where you can speak to a live person to walk you through it. Plus it's really hard to get to customer service even though I pay for the plan. But they've been very helpful in the past to restore my database when I lost it. So, they have helped me in that respect. I just played the old card and they helped me. I've also tried to use their cloud before and it scrambled all the information on my business computer so it was impossible. I had to get on to restore the old database back to Legacy. On my household, I just need the receipt so I've got the cloud on that one. To sum it up, the NeatDesk is user-friendly. That's for the old program and I'm sure if I get used to the newer one on the other computer would be fine.

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the positive feedback explaining how Neat helps keep you organized and allows you to customize your information the way that makes sense to you. We love to hear how Neat helps make things easier and get organized. Thanks for your patience during some of the software updates. Your feedback helps us make sure we are heading in the right direction. If you still need assistance with the software please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll be happy to help:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 26, 2017

I like The Neat Company. I have been a loyal customer for about 9 years. I had been doing my finances with Excel and had made a spreadsheet. I thought I would have something that was a little simpler and would give me better results so I tried The Neat program and I've liked it ever since. I just enter my data and put it in the way I wanted. I also set it up the way I wanted it which is one of the nice things about the program. I set it up similarly to my Excel program so I could categorize the data and store it in its unique areas and I could determine how much we were spending in a month, a quarter, half year or a year. I never printed that information out because I could just click it on in a second and find out the information I wanted. So I didn’t have to have a lot of paper.

I use my NeatDesk almost every day. I use it whenever I have a receipt or a bill for gas or for food. No matter what I spend I get a receipt for it and I also have a laundry list of the things that I buy such as machines or appliances so I can tell how long I've owned it. The greatest organizational benefit is that I could do it myself. I know where everything is because I organized it in fields that made sense to me and that makes it perfect. But then when the iMac got a new operating system The Neat program didn’t catch up to it and I didn’t realize it. Unfortunately I've gone through a series of glitches.

When I finally figured out that there was something terribly wrong with my program, I called and got a number that they use to identify it was the customer in need and what their needs are and this woman stayed on the line with me for several hours to get everything back up to speed again. Except this week I got another glitch which says I needed an update and it said it right underneath the program so I assumed probably correctly that it was from Neat. I downloaded the update and now I can't use it again. But it's just a minor inconvenience. Neat has been a really good service and I really like the program. They're excellent and I’d recommend them to a friend.

Hi Solomon,

Sorry to hear you were having trouble with the scanner. From our records, it appears tech support was able to resolve your case (618035).

Please let us know if you are still having any issues, or any questions or concerns and we will be happy to assist you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 25, 2017

Neat scanner not connected - Have had this problem since day one and must jump through many hoops just to reach a live person if at all. They cannot or have not fixed problem and are very unresponsive and unhelpful. They just take your money and leave you hanging. Also very few customization options.

Hello Tim,

We're sorry for any frustration. A subscription is not required to continue using your Neat scanners.

Anyone who does not wish to migrate to the cloud-powered version of Neat, can continue using their current legacy platforms without the cloud, however, there will be no more enhancements or future development to these versions.
For more information about our switch to the cloud-powered software, please visit our Neat Help Center:

We want to provide you with the download links to make sure you have access to Neat legacy software:

Windows 5.7 (last legacy version)

Windows 5.4 (Note: v5.4 is the last Neat version for use on Windows XP or Vista)

Mac 4.5.0 :

(http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat-4.3.0.36-Release.dmg)

We realize that this change may be a disappointment to some, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely. We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance the Neat experience to allow you, our loyal users, to work more efficiently.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 24, 2017

I currently own 7 of the The Neat Company scanners. All of them are nothing more than paperweights at this point. A subscription service for future buyers may be your business plan however it is a poor one. Forcing your current customers into one is wrong. I bought your machines for a specific purpose, to scan. I have no desire to become a member of your cloud service and I feel as if I have been completely defrauded. I will never recommend your company to anyone ever and have told many of my experience. All agree that what you have elected to do is wrong and completely disregards those that were true loyalists to your product. I being one until now.

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience. I see from the support case (629921) you opened that you were looking for a download of Neat 5.4. You can download that from here:
Please note that version is an older legacy version of Neat sofware and is no longer supported directly by Neat but you can get support from a community of users just like you from this page:

In addition, I can assure you that there is nothing in any Neat software that remotely resembles an automatic lock out time. Please see this article related to the error you described:

If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 23, 2017

This is the second time in 4 years I have been locked out from MY personal documents. This includes vital IRS documents. The first time I was advised I had I repeat had to pay for the upgrade to get my program opened. This time on all 3 of my computers the program states it can not open due to another program running. HMMM on all three computers? Go to the company blog and you will see I am not alone. I have not received an answer from the company as I am not going to pay for my own documents again. It APPEARS that the program has an automatic lock out time. Of course, this is my experience and opinion. Oh, the blog says others are having the exact same issue I am. If I can get my files back, I will be changing programs.

Hello Craig,

We are sorry for the frustration. We'd like the opportunity to help you get things working. Please provide details about the issues you've been experiencing such as any error messages or specific hardware trouble and we'll be happy to have a support tech reach out to assist you.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Terrible software and not so good hardware! Support has one line - we are working on the issue. I have never dealt with a product this bad. After years of trying to make due with them, I am searching for a system to bail onto.

Hi Joe,

We're sorry you had a frustrating experience getting started with Neat. I see from your support case (621454) that your scanner came with an older version of the software that is no longer directly supported by Neat. However, your scanner came bundled with a PIN that gives you a free year of NeatCloud and the latest software version which is not only supported via phone, email, and chat but also gives you a better overall experience.

You can download that version from this link:

Then choose the download option for either Windows or Mac.

If you have any questions, concerns, or need further assistance please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Original review: July 21, 2017

NEAT Receipt Model ND-1000 - Bought this unit new from Bureau en gros and all we have had is problems and issue. We attend shows and get tons of business cards, receipts and statement we need to scan. This has been the worse. We spend over 2 hours twice with tech support to clear the problem and the unit crashes again and again. Big piece of crap... Never again.

Hello Stanley,

We're sorry you feel that way. We understand that this change may be disappointing, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely. We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance the Neat experience to allow you, our loyal users, to work more efficiently.

In case you need them, links are below to help you download legacy versions of Neat which do NOT require a subscription.
I need to advise you, however, that Neat legacy software is no longer current:

For assistance with this version going forward, you can visit our Legacy Community Site:

You can ask our Neat Community any question, and other customers will be able to answer you and provide suggestions.

Neat Legacy Desktop Software – Download Links

Windows 5.7 (last legacy version)

Mac 4.5.0 :

(http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat-4.3.0.36-Release.dmg)

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 15, 2017

I found a Neat Scanner at Goodwill and bought it. I figured for $5 I'll take a chance. I scanned my bills into it for the last three years because it eliminated a big pile of trash. I've used document scanners before but it was the first time I kept track of my bills via Neat. I could go back and find old bills when I have to take things back or return them or complain about them.

A month ago I was scanning two months worth of bills and I stopped one day. I tried to do it again the next day and all of a sudden it wouldn't work. So I started checking around on the internet, The Neat site and they had changed the rules. They wanted to put all my stuff on the cloud and not on my computer. I talked to a young lady from Neat for an hour and a half one day while we were trying to get it work. She was very helpful, very nice, and she said we needed to migrate all of my old receipts to the cloud. I said I could do that. She started the migration and said that it would take a little while and that I didn't have to stay on the phone with her. I said that that's fine, that I have two computers so I could use the second one.

The following day it was still chugging along and I thought it's ridiculous. It was like an old Model T. I wondered what they were doing out there so I gave up. After two days I figured that’s plenty and she said, “Well, you have 1800 receipts.” I said, “Why is that a big deal?” She said, “Well, that’s a lot.” I didn’t think it was a lot at all. A computer just zips right along and takes your records. So I got 1800 receipts and it never did give me a tally of how many it took.

They also came out and said, “We're going to be a subscription service. We've changed the nature of the company and we're no longer a scanning company. We're an information technology company." All I wanted was my receipts scanned but they started offering me all kind of craps that I didn't want including their cloud. When I started looking up my old receipts, I found there were things that I had scanned like medical receipts that weren't in the format that Neat likes and all of the information were gone with the exception of the date.

They changed their format. It's not providing the kind of information that I could get in the old system and I found the old way was just fine. Like Windows XP was just great and I didn’t need Windows 10. I have a bunch of receipts and I don't have time to sit and relearn Neat. I'll simply pile the receipts and staple them together. I won't do them with a Neat device which could cost me $5. They also want to charge me around $8 a month to keep my receipts. Keeping them on a staple doesn't cost that much. I cancelled and the Neat scanner is all wrapped up. I was going to take it back to Goodwill to be blocked. Whatever they did doesn't work and they wrecked my experience .

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We truly appreciate it. We have logged the details of your feedback in an effort to improve our products and services.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, questions, or concerns, and we would be more than happy to assist you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 14, 2017

NeatDesk looked like something that I could use. I started using it and I've had it for a few years. I've had a good experience with it but I find getting your service a little bit hard. It was a problem from the start. I tried using it on three different computers in which I should be able to scan from any one and have them synced and there was a problem with the syncing a lot of times in the beginning. Their reps were pretty helpful in getting it worked out but it would take them a while and it would just come back again. Then finally, Neat switched to the newer program that they have now. I think the new system with the cloud base is working but when I do need service, it's been a bit of a problem. It’s very hard to find out where to go in their website. I have to move around and it’s just isn’t customer-friendly.

I'm retired and I have a home office here and I scan a lot of documents and things that come my way just to keep track of them. I used to use more of it where I had to scan credit cards and receipts. We're able to keep a pretty good system on our credit cards as far as paying them and keeping records of what the expenses were and that's worked out pretty well. Before when we got our credit cards, my wife would do the scanning of those receipts that we would pick up during the month. It took a little while to learn to use that but once I learned how to use it, it worked fine. Neat is a pretty good company but at times trying and other times okay.

Hello Barbara,

We're sorry for the frustration. If you would please respond with the following information we can point you in the right direction.

What is your Neat Software Version? (Go to: Help > About Neat (on PC) >OR About (on Mac), OR Your Name > About on Neat's Smart Organization System):

What is your Computer's Operating System? (PC - Right Click My Computer or Computer and choose Properties, Mac - Go to Apple Menu and choose About This Mac):

Are you receiving any error messages? If so, what is the exact error message?

Also, please check here to make sure you have the most up to date version:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 10, 2017

I purchased a Neat scanner in 2014 from my sons recommendation. I planned on using it for our personal and farm accounts. I rarely use it due to my frustration with the program closing losing my scans and the scan that did work the slow process of it processing my items into documents. I hadn't used it since working on taxes in March. It has shut down and closed programs 5 times today and has not processed my items 6 out of 19. I've had to hand feed by three pages through the scanner because it would send through 2 or 3 pages at a time rather than one by one. I started writing this note and had reopened Neat and have already received a closed program. My software is up to date and I absolutely see no reason to pay more money for technical support for a product that has performed so poorly. If I remember I think I paid almost 500 dollar for it from Best Buy. Recommendations???

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with the scanner. That's not a normal occurrence with the PDFs. Cleaning and calibrating the scanner should clear that up. Details are below. You can dab a small amount of alcohol on the leading edge of a blank white page to use as a cleaning sheet.

Another possibility if your scanner is physically connected to a computer is to make sure it is directly connected and the usb cable is not going through another device like a hub before connecting.

If you're still having the same issue, please let us know and we can open a support ticket for you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 7, 2017

First, I needed a scanner and purchased this one at Best Buy because it was wireless. I paid close to 400.00 for the product and got it home. I downloaded the software and it worked OK for 30 days. I then received an email telling me that I now had to purchase a monthly subscription in order to use the system. I was never told that this was a subscription based piece of hardware. I was complained about this oversight and was granted a 1 year subscription. By now I had the system for 90 days and could not return it. Since the 1 year subscription started all of my scans come out pure black after saving as a PDF. Their service is horrible and no one can find me a solution to my problem. I am going to have to throw this system out and start over again as a scanner is a vital part of my home based business. Worst electronic experience that I have ever had.

Hello Robin,

I do want to advise you that Neat legacy software is no longer current:

Neat Legacy Desktop Software – Download Links

Windows 5.7 http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat_v5.7.1.474_FULL.sfx.exe (http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat_v5.7.1.474_FULL.sfx.exe) (final legacy version)

Windows 5.4
http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat_v5.4.1.273_FULL.sfx.exe (http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat_v5.4.1.273_FULL.sfx.exe)

(Note: v5.4 is the last Neat version for use on Windows XP or Vista)

Mac 4.5.0 : http://www.neat.com/wp-content/uploads/helpcenter/software/Neat-4.5.0.99.dmg (http://cdn.neatco.com/Neat-4.3.0.36-Release.dmg)

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 5, 2017

When I purchased the expensive NeatDesk scanning system in 2016 all of the heavily promoted ads and online information focused on the wonderful benefits it would provide. However the ads and info did not mentioning the fact that much like cell phones their hardware is just the beginning of your expenses. Before I could get the system working NeatDesk went to cloud-only and for the system to work as advertised you must now purchase their monthly cloud services for as long as you use the system.

I am an elderly person with limited income and would not have purchased the expensive hardware had it been common knowledge that the company was already in the process of changing this service from a one time charge to an additional required monthly fee. Is this a case of bait and switch laws should apply. 20/20 and other investigative sources should be alerted to such actions committed against unknowing consumers. The only action that would make me whole would be for the company to allow the return of my purchase for full refund.

Hello Tim,

Thanks for being a long-time Neat user. We appreciate your feedback and insights on how Neat could be improved and we are tracking that for future improvements and updates to the software. Sounds like you are on the right track by filling in the fields with identifiable information. I just want to point out a couple things you might not be aware of that could make using Neat easier overall.

First, all the text (excluding hand-writing and logos) is read and remembered by the software so you could do a search by any words in the text and any item that has that word will come up in the search results. Details are provided in these help articles:

Second, you don’t need to print anything out just to read it since you can quickly export any scanned images to PDF and view them full screen on your computer. That should save you time and print costs. For step by step instructions please see the following:

Thanks again for your feedback.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 4, 2017

I had a big four-door filing cabinet which was packed to the gills. I just started getting rid of that stuff and I cut it down to almost all. I use my Neat scanner for home filing. There’s a lot of stuff I still keep but I don’t have a big filing in my office anymore. I managed to get rid of it and that was my only goal, so that’s good. But it’s supposed to recognize my document and every time it recognizes it, it miscategorizes it. It’s not even close. I could give it a letter that says I was donated $100 to church and it will say it’s a receipt from Walmart. I don’t know how in the world it’s supposed to do some sort of useful report for me. That part of it’s useless but it was never terribly painful. The files structure works well enough. It would scan it if I said I want it to scan it.

I’m not going to make a career out of this if it’s taking more than five minutes. If it takes more than five minutes to figure out, I'm not interested. These days there are so many people that do cool electronic stuff. You look at the way your interface has worked with Apple and it’s seamless. You don’t need instructions and it figures it out. That’s the standard by which everything stays these days.

I don’t need all my historical stuff physically because it keeps them. That was really all I was after. Most of the time it goes in there and you never see it again. Every now and then, I need to pull up something like a credit card statement and I can’t read the words so I got to print it. Then, I can open, expand it and I can shuffle around. Using a screen rarely works, unless you’re looking for one little thing. But if you’re trying to look through the whole document, it’s easier to print it and then, it’s okay. It’s not nearly as good as the original document, but it serves the purpose completely.

It would be so nice that when it presents the document when you’re in Neat, you could read it but you cannot. Electronically, you can zoom in on it, tick your hand to them and scan around it, but it’s very annoying and ineffective. I’d like to be able to go over to that document, double-click on it, come up on the whole screen, read it, look at it and then close it and then be done with it. But I got to print it and that’s one of the things I wasn’t really crazy about. The saving grace for the whole thing is I don’t do it very often, so it’s not that big of a flaw. If I needed to pull these documents up daily, it I wouldn’t use it and I would want something else.

I recently upgraded the cloud because my wife wanted access to this thing. She also wants to look at some old stuff occasionally. So she comes to me, I print it out and I hand it to her. So, I said that if we do this with the cloud, we can both use the same login because we’re both in there frequently and she’d use it once every couple of months. That would work fine for both of us.

I had a very old version and they tried to migrate the whole thing over but it didn’t work very well. It brought over a lot but there’s a ton it did not bring over and I backed up the original version four times. It hit with 100% saying they’ve got everything but then it wouldn’t transfer to the cloud. I did this over and over and there was a girl that helped me in the helpdesk. She's very good and really seemed to know what she's doing. She worked very hard to make sure that everything’s transferred but ultimately, it didn’t work. The last time we did it, two or three weeks ago, I gave her access to my machine and she set the whole thing up. This has already failed to move from my old version of Neat up to the cloud. My version was pretty out of date. Right now, I have two versions on my laptop - the old one and the new one. I can get the new one remotely anywhere, which is a bonus and allows my wife and me to be able to see documents.

I can’t get rid of the old one, which is very annoying because it resorted everything. Normally that wouldn’t be a big deal, but if I go into some of my bank account files, which I’ve got years and years, month by month for all the statements. I had the very bad practice of scanning like I put in a file account number and scan that document to an account number. Every time I put one in, I don’t identify it at all because I always knew they were in order of the date that I put them in. But when it got transferred over to the cloud, it reorganized them by something I don't know. So I’m going to be the bank account for example and I need to see this statement. I’ve got a hundred and some pieces of paper in there that are unidentified because of my bad habit. Originally, the latest are ones on top every time but now, they’re not.

I’ve got to open every single one up, hit the magnify, drag it over until I could see the date on it, go over and put the date into the change the name or the date to the point where it’s almost non-functional. I was doing this yesterday and spent an hour on it. I pray to God I don’t have to go back in here again and do it because I got six or seven bank accounts and probably 14 investment accounts and it did the same thing to all of them. The date is there and I can find it but I hope I don’t have to go find anything in any kind of hurry. I wasn’t very happy about that part. It’s got another 100 documents and I know I got to open up every one of them and I won’t be very happy when that occurs.

But what do I expect by putting in silly documents and not naming any of them? Also, it makes me think I don’t need bank accounts that are six years old anyway. I should have been in about half of deleting these things if they’re a year or two old but I didn’t do that. But at least, I certainly felt like I was getting a good response from the customer service people over there. They didn’t try to cut me off and rush me and what they did took hours and hours. My machine was running in the background while they were working on it and there were no complaints. They said that they are there to make it work and they were giving it their try, but it fell short of what I thought would be the ideal.

With all the benefit I’m getting from Neat, I could have done on my computer, created my own file structure and bought a generic scanner and been just as far down the road. In that sense, if anybody asks if I would buy it again, I would say no. But the cloud thing is a little different because that gives my wife and me access to these things. That’s the benefit I really wasn’t using before. But if somebody wanted to do what I did originally and that would scan something there, I didn’t see any benefit there except that they give you the arrangement to start filing things and a way to move some things around. Overall, if I’m picking a file in the spot, I don’t really need to do that. I could do that myself.

Hi Joe,

We understand change can be frustrating at times but we are here to help you with the new cloud based software. You can call, email, or chat with us for support. Click here for details:

While legacy software is no longer directly supported, if you are using legacy software there is a thriving community of users to support legacy here:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 2, 2017

I purchased the Neat Desk in 2011 for $348 and it worked great at the time, however when attempting to migrate to a new PC was futile, the software no longer is supported. All the old data is lost will not load. After loading the new software it no longer will scan properly forcing a subscription to a Cloud Based software informing us, "Legacy Software Support has been terminated." The "Cloud" based service/software does not work, period. You cannot: scan a bank statement, multiple page documents into one file, nor export to excel etc. The scans are now blurry and barely readable. The help tutorials refer to blogs and other users that have the same problems.

Hi James,

We’re sorry to hear of your frustrations using Neat. We’ll be happy to look into this for you. We’ve created a case (626360) for you and you’ll be contacted by a support agent via email to better assist you.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I purchase the full Neat office scanner package a couple years back and it worked fine, but for $400 you would not expect the company to just abandon the software support and try to force you now to subscribe to a cloud based service even if it's not needed. Now machine totally stopped working and spent hours upon hours trying to get it to work. Can not even get the main screen to open without it closing down. Customer relations is a zero. You call no one answered and never calls you back, computer based contact is a joke. Basically now I have a $400 hunk of junk. It's a shame. When this worked it was good but while they were developing this cloud based software it kept breaking down for the last year.

Hi Butch,
Thanks for the positive feedback regarding how Neat helps keep you organized. Neat has officially exited the personal scanner marketplace as a direct manufacturer and will focus on our cloud software. However, this includes the Neat mobile app which allows you to scan items using your smartphone so you won’t need to carry a scanner and can still scan on the go with less hassle.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I’m probably one of Neat's original customers. I didn't need the scanner but they sold me on it. Now, I use it every day to scan business cards and receipts. I bought about 10 Neat scanners since I bought that one. It just made my life a lot easier and made it more organized. I also use the Neat Cloud now. It lets us scan receipts at that moment and get rid of them. I really want the Neat mobile scanner, that way while I’m travelling, I can scan while I’m on a plane. And because the software was upgraded, it is now obsolete. So that was money down the drain. It would be great if they could send me a mobile scanner. I really want that one. Other than that, so far so good. The support has been great.

Hi Dorothy,

Sorry to hear you’ve had a struggle using the software. If you haven’t already checked it out there are helpful articles online here:

However, as a Neat subscriber you also have access to get support for any questions you have. Please reach out through any of the options provided here:

You can call or click “Log-In” for email or chat support. We’ll be happy to assist.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have had my desktop Neat Desk for about 3 years, which I purchased at Best Buy. I'm not overly impressed because it is neither intuitive nor user friendly. It's a struggle each time I use it. The defining factor for me was that I have to pay a monthly fee to use a product that I purchased at the tune of several hundred dollars! What's wrong with this picture?! I'm looking for an alternative.

Hello Terry,

We’ll be happy to look into this for you and process any refunds that are rightfully due to you. We checked our records using the email you currently provided through Consume Affairs and will need more information to fully investigate. Please respond in a private message including:
- The email you used for the Neat subscription
- The date of cancellation

- How it was cancelled (this will help track down the correct information as there are multiply ways to cancel an account)

Original review: June 30, 2017

Two months after I purchased, Neat quit supporting the desktop version of their software. Online version took 30 min to scan and recognize document. Kept changing docs to receipts. Could get no support. NO SUPPORT!!!! Could never talk to a person. Canceled my account. For the last two years they have been charging my credit card without my permission. I don't want it - It doesn't work. Now I don't have access to my receipt. Nightmare.

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear you've experienced some frustrations with your Neat account. I see you've already opened a support case with us (623390). If you need further assistance, please let us know and we will have an agent reopen the case and reach out to you or similarly you can also respond to the last email to reopen the case. We'll be glad to assist you.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Software, support and business practices bordering on criminal. I have had two Neat Scanners for about 3 years and the scanner hardware itself works well and is extremely convenient for managing my documents. My email account has changed so I logged into my Neat account to change my email address. Apparently that is not possible to do. The only way to do it is to call customer support, suffer through an interminable automated phone tree that has no shortcut exit, to finally wind up with a call center in India. Once there, the only solution the company has is to open a new account with the new email address and have their technical support staff transfer the files from the old account's cloud storage. Which led me to request that I export all my files myself, which is also not possible.

I was told I can download each file one at a time as a PDF using the cloud service... An obviously untenable solution for the thousands of files I OWN. I then asked if they would perform the export themselves (which they are doing anyway to create my second account) and send me the archive and was denied. So essentially the company is holding my data hostage to keep me as a customer... Forced to use their abysmal software and suffer through their practically non-existent customer support. I will be seeking legal remedies to recover my data.

Hello Dana,

Thank you for your feedback! Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience with support but we have noted the details of your feedback in order to improve our support services.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, concerns, or issues in a reply message.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I use my Neat Desk everyday. I use it to scan my paper receipts for my business and then I can get rid of those. There's one guy I worked in the support that was awesome. But, I also worked with another guy that was rude and horrible.

Hello Dottie,

I do want to advise you that Neat legacy software is no longer current:

Original review: June 29, 2017

I am so done with this company and their apparent "legacy software" without subscription. It was wrong to require a subscription in the first place. I had purchased one desktop and 2 scanners. After purchasing the last scanner (NM 1000) and NO information that the company had gone to a subscription-based service, I'm surprised to not be able to use my scanner without a subscription. I AM NOT paying for a subscription just to scan.

Had the original software on one laptop, purchased a new laptop and want to use on new laptop. Spent hours, literally, trying to get scanner to work. FINALLY got it to work and have been using it for past few months. Yesterday it just quit!!! Have spent a few hours yesterday and today trying to get the Legacy software to work with no success. CANNOT get past requirement to get a subscription. Have gone through many suggestion to install. Have installed 4 times and still cannot get past the requirement to purchase a subscription. WILL NOT do that.

NEAT has done a great disservice to its original customers. As many companies have done, your company is apparently just cash hungry and do not really care about the customers who help make your business a success. I am so done!!! And will not speak kindly about Neat. If I even see someone looking at your product in the store, I will instantly stop and share with them my experience (and others if you read the 4 pages of complaints) and try to steer them away and to a different product.

Hello Jennifer,

We apologize for the frustration. Please provide the case number and your email address associated with that case so we can look into that for you. In the meantime, please check this link for help with Neat scanner drivers:

Original review: June 29, 2017

Neat has forced users to pay $130+ per year to use their software. The software only allows the use of one of their scanners, and I own two. I can not now use the travel scanner. The syncing does not work. They force a cloud subscription. It is fraud as far as I am concerned. Their tech support opened a case and promised to send me the correct drivers and never delivered, but the company sure demanded my money, and refused to review the case and fulfill the promises. STAY AWAY!!!

Hello Yesenia,

We've provided links below to help you download legacy versions of Neat.
However, keep in mind that Neat legacy software is no longer current:

Original review: June 29, 2017

I have a Neat Desk Legacy and I’m unable to download the software after they have retired it. I have tried to contact them numerous time and have not been able to reach them. I really need someone to help me with this.

Hello Mark,

We’re very sorry for the frustration and lengthy resolution. Rest assured we value the integrity and privacy of your data and take data security very seriously. Migrating from the legacy version to the cloud powered software is not usually so time-consuming but we will be happy to see you through to a complete resolution. I reviewed your case (616925) and see that we did completely reset your password and we are currently awaiting your response to schedule a tech support session. We will resend the last email for your convenience. Please respond to schedule that session and we’ll help you complete the transfer of your data and resolve this issue for you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 27, 2017

I was a satisfied consumer of Neat's ORIGINAL (now called 'legacy') software which was a desktop-scanner version. NEAT, like so many companies today forced that system into retirement and ended support for it in exchange for forcing us to join their 'Cloud' system at a monthly service fee. Then I went from a Win 7 to a Win 10 computer. The problems occurring in undertaking their new Cloud requirements and the Win7 ---> Win 10 conversion have had me spend over 40 hours of attempting/failing on my own working with their confusing, online instructions, contacting/waiting for a Filipino customer service center to respond and create a solution and end up with nothing working but my original NEAT-DESK program. This was after the Tech Support people actually took over my computer remotely and worked on it for 3 1/2 hours themselves!

Along the way, the NEAT company doesn't recognize my subscriber email anymore, when dealing with Cloud issues and I keep getting 'establish an account' or 'reset your password' prompts which are useless since the email address (which I'm paying a monthly fee under) isn't recognized! The most recent answer from the tech (disregarding that my email isn't recognized) gives me a list of my Security Questions and tells me to "change my password" AGAIN!!! WHY do tech support people in a foreign country, have your security questions anyway? Why don't they just kill the old password and give you a temporary one to change.

All this has made me very concerned that this NEAT company is a front for some, hacking group that is just in existence to steal your personal identity! Sorry, but when you trust your vital personal data to an outside company, deal with the Cloud to store data and use foreign, hard to understand/communicate with personnel to offer tech support one can only be concerned and frightened you made the wrong decision.

At present, I am so angry and disgusted with this so-called, "professional" corporation I will probably be pulling the whole account and I will have wasted the many days of my time where I scanned 6 years of documents into the original software only to find the company I trusted abandoned me after changing the rules midstream to favor greed over customer satisfaction. Stay away from this company!

The Neat Company Company Profile