2.64/5
Based on 230 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 13, 2018

879 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a Neat Scanner I had purchased a couple of years ago. Neat forces you to set up a cloud account just so you can install the scanner on a new PC. There were several major issues and various problems with installing the Neat Scanner driver on to my new Windows 10 PC. After several attempts, I was unable to get my scanner to work or to sync accounts from Neat Cloud onto my new PC. Immediately following installing Neat scanner driver, my new PC crashed completely and I had to take it in for repair. I ended up having to do a factory reset, which means I lost all my files and I was without my computer for a while. When I did get my PC back, I was unable to get the Neat Scanner to work with my Windows 10 computer. I did not want or use the Neat Cloud Service. I only wished to be able to use the existing scanner that I had already paid for. I have year’s worth of documents and receipts in the Neat database. I found it really useful.

The new trial account I had set up did not sync with my existing Neat Scanner. I did not use it. I did not even know that my credit card had been charged for a whole year of Neat Cloud service until I just got my credit card statement. It is impossible to actually get through to anyone on the phone via their automated switchboard system. It has literally been a few days since the end of the trial period and the Cloud Service has not been used. I have tried contacting Neat to cancel and ask for a refund, but so far, no luck.

The Neat Company response

You do not have to set up a cloud account to continue using the software that came with your scanner. However, if you choose the 30 day trial of our cloud service, it will activate your account if you do not cancel within the 30 days. We did see the cases you opened and an agent will be contacting you today to assist you with technical issues or billing concerns.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I signed up for Consumer Affairs just so I could slam NEAT for its business practice. They exhibited at a legal trade show that my company produces, so I bought their basic scanner product for my personal business receipts. A year or two later, the scanner stopped working because they switched to a SaaS model, requiring me to pay for a software subscription. That is complete BS and I would NEVER do business with a company that does this.

The Neat Company response

You are free to continue using the software that came with your scanner without a subscription. The scanner does not stop working when moving to the new cloud-based software. It was designed to work with the same scanners supported in our most recent Legacy software version and all those models are still supported and working. However, the cloud-based software does require a subscription for the cloud service.

We also offer support for our legacy software so you can continue to use it without a cloud subscription.

If you'd care to take advantage of that, you may call us at 855-910-6328.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I'm a truck driver and Neat helped me keep track of maintenance and expenses. When I'm out on the road, I gather all these receipts. I used to scan those receipts on the Neat scanner but I noticed that it never gave me the correct detail and sometimes, it gave a different date. It also didn't give me the taxes. It just randomly chose numbers and was not working properly. So I needed to manually separate taxes. Then, if I was scanning something that was 3" by 3" and I put it in the system to try to make a copy of it, it would blow it up to 8" by 11". It was distorted and it was not what I want. It was a hassle, too.

I signed up for the Neat cloud last month because I wanted to use the scanner that I already have and implement it. The online service worked well and with it, I didn't have the issues I was having with the scanner. So I'd have to use the online service and pay a monthly subscription in order for the scanner to do the job it was meant to do. Otherwise, I'd have to do everything manually. After I saw the way it was working, I got pissed off. I was already paying a few hundred dollars for the scanner and it should work the same as if I did things online. So I decided to cancel and I'm not going to do business with The Neat anymore. I'm going to look for somebody else.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Neat Receipts software and scanner was my favorite tool. Saved me hours of time. I recommended it to all friends and family. NOW, the software will not even open and let me use it without setting up an online account, paying for updated software, and allowing Neat to 'save' all my data on its allegedly secure servers. My product is now USELESS. I want a refund or fully updated software I can use offline, privately, to scan MY data and MY receipts.

Hi Barrie,

We'd be glad to help you out. We see you are using the legacy Neat software and that you originally set up an account about 3 years ago. Please contact us on our new Legacy support line for help getting the software running on your computer. You can reach Legacy support at 855-910-6328.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been using the Neat Desktop Scanner for several years without any problems and I loved it. It was so efficient and easy to use, both for storage of information and printing out reports. Now, all of a sudden my computer says it is not connected or the driver is missing. I am not sure how I found a techie company (not sure because I have been online with them for the last 18 hours and am lucky to remember my name.) Thank goodness all of my folders and information had been synced to the cloud, because at one point they had lost all of the folders and their contents. I had to tell them that everything had been saved to the cloud.

They said they finally got it fixed but in fixing it they downloaded the trial of the new software. I did not know this until the day after this was done when I got an email from The Neat Company. How do I get my old software back? Or can I get it back. Do I have any choice but to use the new software? The name of the company is "premiumtechiesupport." I felt like this was a bait and switch sales scam. They could not do anything without my purchasing additional software. They made me feel like I really did not have any choice. I really do not think The Neat Company has built their business and reputation on this manner of doing business. I am thinking seriously of turning this over to my attorney. I guess I will get used to the new program, but I do not like it at all. I especially do not like being tricked into a monthly payment for the new program. I would gladly go back to the old program if I have a choice.

Hi Joanne,

Glad to hear the older software worked well for you and you were able to save all your data on the cloud. I've never heard of "premiumtechiesupport" but we have our own tech support so they would not be trained to work with the Neat software the way our own agents are.

If you need further assistance please contact us at (888)-898-3253.

I see you are currently on a free trial (which expires March 7 and then converts to an active subscription) so you can use the trial to see if the current software will work for you in addition to the cloud benefits that allow you to access your data from any browser and add data on the go with the Neat mobile app.

Neat Customer Care

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Scanning a PDF results in huge files (4 meg compared to Epson scanner 8 kb, same 2 pages scanned). Have not found a way to lower the DPI setting. I've submitted questions to the forum, but they don't show up. Would like to reduce the size of the files to something manageable. But if not, I'll stick with my Epson.

Good question, Jay.

If you're using the latest version of Neat there is currently no option to change the resolution or file size. I've added this to our feature requests for future updates. There are several features we are planning to add to the current version later this year.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Case #**: "Loss to Legacy Program and Inoperative Scanner Driver". Look to your Salesforce cases. I have fully documented my problem there. The most deplorable situation is Neat's bait and switch business practice that sold us a Windows-based package and pulled the rug out from all of their customers for an inferior cloud service for a very expensive monthly/annual subscription.

Hi Bruce,

I checked your case and we'll be contacting you shortly to help you with downloading the legacy software and scanner driver.

We also opened a Legacy support line so you can also reach us at

855-910-6328

Thanks!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

As a long-time user of Legacy Neat program, I recently had to replace my computer, which was not connected to the Internet. I was very disappointed to find that Legacy Neat has been discontinued in favor of a watered-down Cloud-based version of the software, supplemented by subscriptions to Cloud storage. The need to upgrade programs is understandable when purchasing a new computer. However, other programs I have had to upgrade have involved a simple download, followed by a straight-forward process of migrating data from one computer to another. Attempting to get the same transition completed with Neat has felt like an effort in wasted time and frustration, especially since, throughout the process, tech support seems to be getting only more difficult to obtain.

To begin with, despite my reservations about the new Cloud-based software, I signed up for a subscription and tried to upgrade from Legacy to Cloud, hoping to preserve 5 years of saved receipts. In doing so, I discovered that simply upgrading my Legacy software required a download that had to be sent to me by tech support. After completing this step over a week ago, I found that sync would still not work, and had to contact Neat tech support again. I have been through a remote session with a Neat tech trying to fix the sync error. She seemed knowledgeable, helpful, and patient, and worked with me for an extended period by phone and remotely accessing my computer. Whatever she did, after about 2 hours, sync appeared to be working, so we disconnected, but after several minutes, my computer "completed" syncing, which is when I discovered that it was actually only syncing from Cloud to Legacy, not the other way around.

During this process, I've tried chat support several times - only once has it connected to anyone in tech support, and that was what resulted in the above-referenced remote session. I have never had my support calls answered directly, although prior to today, at least I was provided an option to leave my phone number for a return call from tech support. Today, each time I called, the support phone line automated message just tells me that Neat is experiencing "higher than usual call volumes" (or something to that effect), tells me to try again later, then hangs up on me.

As for email, it appears those messages are usually responded to within 24 hours, give or take, but only if sent during weekdays. Per the website, there is no support offered on weekends, so I don't know what someone does if the weekend is the only time they have to work through whatever issue they are having with Neat's product. If nothing else, the limited support times seem strange given the technology-driven 24/7 business world that exists today. When I have been able to connect with a support representative, the techs I have worked with are helpful, but getting that contact has been the real, ongoing problem. As a business owner whose living depends on providing service to my customers based on their needs and convenience, it is concerning to me that customer service has been so difficult to obtain from Neat Company.

Hi Monica,

Thanks for being a long-time Neat user. We apologize that the transition from Legacy to Cloud has not been as smooth as we would have liked. We checked your case and will have an agent call you to assist in getting the migration completed in a timely manner.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Having a problem with the software, I have the software and when we start up the scanner it says I need the software. No problem, I understand that we have glitches in our systems... But good luck trying to get in touch with a human being and getting a little support. The support is a computer and it asks you questions - no biggie, but "the computer" does not understand or doesn't recognize my email or phone number. We will throw this thing away and buy something with a little better support. This is not our first issue by the way but were finally done - would not recommend to anyone.

The Neat Company response

As you know, we scheduled an appointment with you for a support agent to call and assist you at 6pm EST this evening. We can make sure the system recognizes you in the future. To do that please, provide the phone number you're calling from and the email address used for your Neat account in a private response. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I had to go from the legacy system to the new cloud-based system, and I had some trouble migrating my old data over but the Neat representative helped me with that and got it done. I’m still learning the new one but I like the legacy better. I’ve had the NeatDesk system for several years. My wife gave it to me for a present on Christmas and I’ve used it for three or four years. I use it nearly every day and use it as a filing system. I read everything in as a document and I got my file set up so every company that I do business with has a file, and then I store it in their folder and hope I never have to look at it again. It works fine. I was self-taught and got into it and started using it. I liked it so I used it that way. And then all of a sudden, one day, it wouldn’t work and they changed over. It works okay as far as I’m concerned.

I have not used NeatCloud as much lately because I was in the transition and I lost my data. I couldn’t get in and I didn’t know how to do it. Somebody from Neat got on the phone and fixed it for me but until they did, I was dead in the water there for a few days. It’s working okay now. It doesn’t look like the same thing when I’m using it from the legacy system. If you put the legacy system and the cloud-based system side by side, I like the legacy system because I’m familiar with it. I may learn to like the other one just as good but it’s not as straightforward.

It may have more features that I’ll learn sooner or later but right now, I still like the legacy system. They did everything they could do except restoring the legacy system and I would have preferred to stay on the legacy system but it wasn’t possible. I’ll have to wait and see how I get along with it but so far, it’s working like it’s supposed to. I’m satisfied that the system will do what I want it to do. They’ve been very good about helping me.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your comments, Neil. It sounds like you've made good use of Neat to stay organized and find your documents quickly. We are working on some updates to the current Neat software later this year and we expect some of the Legacy features to make a come back. Thanks for being a loyal Neat user.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I’ve had Neat since 1999 and then I had to use a new computer. I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and lost my software. I was trying to bring out my Neat again and that’s when I needed help. I don’t understand why I have two different icons for Neat on my desktop and I got an email about a webinar and I plan on doing that. Over the years, I've used my NeatDesk several times a month. I’m monitoring the bills that I pay and certain tax forms and receipts. I also put business cards in it. Neat is a great tool.

The Neat Company response
You can get more info on the webinar from this link:
If you have two icons, it sounds like it is one for the current software and one for legacy. If you need more help with that please contact us at (888)-898-3253.

Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My software has been acting up and I am not able to scan and send. I have to go through multiple steps to do so. Set up a request online to ask for tech support to call. No one has returned my call. I have paid for one year's Priority subscription.

Hi Rita,

Sorry you had difficulty getting support. We will have an agent call to assist you this morning and get things working like normal.

Thanks for your patience,

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My boss had NeatDesk at home and he brought it here into the office. We have all these records lying around in boxes and it is the perfect way to scan them in and have them readily available without going into the dungeon and getting the dirty files. But Neat should make the installation instructions clearer for people like me that are not quite as adept at things like this. It took two tech cases before I was able to use the machine. Initially, I had an issue with downloading the software to my computer. A nice girl helped me to do that but when I tried to operate the system, it told me that the scanner's driver didn't download so I made another case.

I got an email on that and they gave me a link to go to download the actual drivers so that it would work. All the resolutions were made within 24 hours and it couldn't get better than that. I got the system on Monday and I was able to use it on Wednesday. But it would have been nice if there were PDF files on the website to give instructions on how to use the different features like the reports, what you can and can’t do, and how to make changes. I asked the rep that I talked to about it but she told me that they didn't have things like that. I also know they have tutorial things on there but for some reason, I couldn't get the actual movies of the tutorials on my computer.

Other than that, I love NeatDesk. Once I got the software installed, it was easy to use. It's an outstanding product and I use it everyday. I scan the files and save it as PDF. So far, that's the only feature I'm using and it’s going to take me a while to get into all that. The quality of the export is great. I asked a couple of my cohorts to look at the documents that were scanned in and it’s amazing how crystal clear everything is. I have also been looking at the reports, and it looks like it's going to be neat once I actually get into it.

The Neat Company response

It's great to hear how you're able to sort and organize all your boxes of paper records using Neat. It seems you've figured everything out now but just in case here a few of our help center (https://www.neat.com/support/) articles on getting started with Neat:

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I am never one to complain let alone on a public forum such as this but that being said I had to make my story public to keep other people from falling into the same trap. Last year we bought a Near Scanner ND-1000 (a newer version) for the purposes of scanning in receipts & bills. We got one year’s worth of taxes out of it. I have been scanning in receipts throughout the year no problems. (Aside from the usual slowness, paper jams & the system shutting down randomly) A couple of weeks ago I tried to log into our account and was unable to unless I pay a subscription to Neat. I do not want my personal documents on the cloud. I do not feel safe doing that. It will not let me out of the home page. The only option given to me is to pay to subscribe. When we purchased the scanner last year ($350) we were told that the beauty of it was that you just plugged it in and it was ready to use.

Now after we have time (tons of it) and money involved in this Neat Scanner we are told that the Neat Company will only provide customer support if you pay them money. Which is not what we agreed to when we purchased this product or we may have chosen differently. I have tried calling this company and unless you are a subscriber you are just caught in this endless loop where you NEVER CAN TALK TO A PERSON. I then tried to email them which I received an unclear answer so I emailed them back asking them to give a clearer answer and they responded with an email stating that my complaint had been resolved. So I turned to social media and Facebook messaged them. They said that I can download the legacy form of their software but that it was no longer supported by them.

So I tried to download the legacy version following the instructions provided. Which sent me into (not unlike their phone customer service) an endless loop of links that don't work or send me to another page on their website that provided no answers. The Scanner we have is neither old nor cheap and I truly think this company is a bunch of scam artist that have hit hard times and are trying to stay afloat by taking advantage of the customers they already have and have already invested time in their scanners. I should not have to go through this much trouble to use a product that I already paid for under the terms that that was all I needed to use it. I have reported them to among other places the Better Business Bureau.

Angelina,

We're sorry to hear you had so much trouble getting through to support and that you received a lackluster response. We would like to help. We see you are on a Basic plan for cloud but if you prefer not to have any data on the cloud, as mentioned previously, you can use the Legacy software. To take advantage of that option, please contact our Legacy support team. Details are on this page:

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I use Neat every day. I use NeatDesk’s feature to organize all my receipts and business cards. It is a thousand percent better than the previous method I had and it will continue to work for me. I’ve scanned through NeatCloud but I haven’t had time since I’ve been putting information into Neat. I found the initial setup a little confusing between NeatCloud and the Neat software that resides on the computer. And while it’s nice to have all of your information backed up on the cloud, the cloud can be hacked as I’ve read in the news.

Neat needs a backup function where there is a drop down to the file level and just copy a file and paste it wherever you want to keep it. It’s a little bit going back 10 years ago of the backup process. And anybody that puts as much information as I’m going to be putting in mine, should have a backup to another location. I have mine backed up offline to another drive. It’s great to get yourself organized. As you progress your life, you accumulate a lot of data, and this allows you do to searches as opposed to combing through file cabinets. NeatDesk is a good software and I would definitely recommend it to somebody.

The Neat Company response
We appreciate your feedback about how Neat works so well for you as well as your concerns about using the Cloud. We do use high level security with encryption to keep your data on the cloud:

You can also create a local backup as detailed here:

Thanks for your support!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I’ve used Neat for about five years but my computer had been hacked and it took them a while to get all my files back and get them all transferred to the cloud. In the beginning, it took me forever to try to get anybody to address that situation. I would be on the phone for about 20 minutes on hold then all of a sudden, I would be told that they were busy and to call back. I spent close to a hundred hours of trying to reach them. But the last guy, Lance, was very good. He called back when he said he would, stayed with me, and worked on it. A couple of the other ones that I talked to didn’t call back when they said they would, then I had to do it all over again.

I'm still far behind right now and I don't know if I could ever get caught up to get to the point where I could do the daily scanning of any receipts I have or my monthly billing statements when I want to. I’ve also got to get organized enough first before I can do the mobile app. I want to try it because that would be a good thing. If I was in town and I bought something with a receipt, I could scan it to where it would be in when I come home. I use Quicken, too, but I don’t download data into it. If I need to look up something, I could either go to Quicken or Neat, but it’s usually in Neat first before it’s in Quicken, so I could go there if I had an idea of the time or what it was that I was looking for. I heard that Neat works with QuickBooks as well but I don’t want to switch to QuickBooks because I don’t need something that detailed.

There are some things that I don’t like about the new desktop software. There was a bar at the bottom of the old software that I could just scoot over to increase the size of my document but now I can’t do that. Instead, there's a little button up there with three little dots that I can click and there’s a zoom in and zoom out. But if I need to zoom it 10 times, I have to hit that zoom button 10 times. Also, in the old one, I could move my receipt around so I could see all parts of it, but I can’t do that anymore on the new one. I can move the receipt up and down with the up and down slide bar but I can’t move it over. So, if I need to see more of the receipt, I have to zoom out then look at that part and try to zoom in. Another thing is, before, if I had two receipts, I could highlight the two receipts and tell them to combine. But that feature is no longer there.

So there are some things that are a lot nicer and better about the older software but if I never had the older software, I wouldn’t realize the difference. I’m not really happy that things were changed but to be fair about it, I haven’t gotten to really look at and the new software. It’s like with anything. If you’re used to using something and you have to switch to something new, it takes a while before you feel halfway comfortable with that. One more thing is I wanted to switch emails and Neat told me that I couldn’t. They said that each account is assigned to a specific email and that couldn't be changed. That didn't make sense to me because people change email addresses all the time. You can’t be required forever to have the same email address.

Hi Connie,

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on updates for the current version of our software that will bring back some features from the older version so it's good to know which features are important to you.

We also took steps to help alleviate the wait time and ensure our agents call back when they say they will. Please accept our apologies for the missed calls and let us know if there is anything else we can improve for you.

Also, you can change your email but the process does require you to open a new account with the new email and then we can help transfer the data to the new account.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Our experience with The Neat Company started with NeatReceipts for a general organization of receipts. We pay way too many bills so we’ve got invoices everywhere and receipts floating around. We can never find what we need and we never had a scanner so I found one and bought it two weeks ago. We got our account up for five days now and we already used it to scan a receipt while we were at a business lunch. We're using NeatDesk daily starting with the reports and it's way better than our previous process. I’m frustrating everybody at the moment because I want to use it for everything. It’s going to be great.

I also have the mobile app. I’ve taken a picture of a receipt on my phone and pulled it into our account. There was a time when we used their verified credits service when one of the receipts was hard to read. We had them verify it and the date wasn’t accurate. I experienced being locked out of our account, too, because I put my password in incorrectly. It was no big deal but I had to call them about it. They had a nice service where you could punch your phone number in and they would call back, which they did. It could have been nicer if there was some other way to reset it, though. I didn’t need to take somebody’s time to have them reset my password. Other than that, I would recommend to other people that they should get The Neat Company's service and organize their life.

The Neat Company response

We're so glad you shared your positive experience with using Neat to stay organized. We love the mobile app because it's a convenient way to look up your documents or store new items.

We also wanted to direct you to this article which shows how you can reset your password without having to call in:

Hopefully, you won't need it but it does give you another option to reset your password.

Thanks for sharing your Neat story.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased a Neat Scanner 3 years ago and spent $350. Always had issues with the this product. I purchased a new computer and tried connecting to the Neat Scanner. Long story it will not connect to new HP computer. I have tried chat, opening ticket, calling etc. Nobody there, nothing. This is a scam.

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear your scanner hasn't been detected on your new HP computer. We see you opened a support case (# 000739740) and we also sent an email requesting more information. Please respond to continue working with tech support but in the meantime, the following may also help you resolve the connection problem:

Windows:

Mac:

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have used the Neat Desk scanner for the past 4 years, The scanner has never worked very well. Most of the time it jams and will not feed unless I push it through with my hand. Now they upgraded the software and the scanner will not work at all. The images are not even readable. I called support and they say that there is a software issue about image quality. I would not recommend doing business with this company. Their support is useless. I was told that the scanner is no good anymore and that I have to replace it after 4 years of use. I asked if the scanner has any improvements in the past 4 years and she said that it has not and it is the same machine. Even from the beginning to get any support has been very difficult. Now they force you to buy the cloud service and the software is no longer available to open unless you buy the cloud service. I do not like the upgrade's software. Bad idea.

The Neat Company response

From your recent case (00072721) it seems the scanner itself is no longer working as well as it used to work. We know this because you not only went through the steps to clean and calibrate the scanner which normally correct image quality problems but also because you tested in Microsoft Paint (which completely bypasses the Neat software) and still get the same results. While the scanner may have failed at the same time as the software was upgraded, it was a coincidence. The software does not change how the scanner works. It may be time to replace the scanner.

Although we no longer sell scanners, there are some online resellers that may still have stock such as Amazon or you could try stores like Office Depot which also might have a Neat scanner available.Otherwise, you can use any TWAIN compliant scanner and we have tested some from Fujitsu and HP shown in this article:

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I just purchased a desk scanner and was told all of the wonderful things about it. I was not told, nor could I find any information that clearly set forth the scanner and its functions. I was not told nor could I find information that this Legacy Software v. 5.7 was what I needed to install to use Neat the way I need to. The company should stand behind its products and make the software available. At least I would have a chance at not losing my money purchasing a product that I cannot use. Make it download at your own risk or something but don't just take it away. I cannot afford to do this again.

Hi Shellie,

We'll be glad to help you. The Neat scanner can work without the Neat software and the current version of our software works with other (TWAIN compatible) scanners and not just the Neat scanners.

You can try out our current software using this link:

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further help.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I bought the ND1000 brand new several years ago for about $350.00. There was a bit of a learning curve and it was a bit slow but overall I really liked it. Every once in a while it wouldn't want to work for me by indicating a non-existent paper jam. Usually, if I turned it off and rebooted computer (several attempts) it would start working again. It was a pain but resolvable. Then, about 1.5 years ago, the dreaded false paper jam locked the Neat up again. No amount of reboots, cleaning, unplugging, or disassembly would allow it to work properly. Since I know it will scan flawlessly if the software would allow it, it annoys me that today I am taking it to the electronic graveyard.

I ultimately decided to go with the Scanjet over another investment in Neat. Scanjet is much faster and much better hardware than Neat though I will say I liked Neat's software layout better. I have read many owners of Neat that are having the paper jam issue. To me personally, I think it is a minor hardware issue that can be resolved with software update in that if a simple override option were available the hardware would perform. I don't believe Neat cares that much about their customers who do not want to pay a monthly fee which is why I chose the Scanjet route. $350.00 for 1.5 years of actual use is a little steep for a scanner.

Hi John,

Thanks for being a long-time customer. We're glad to hear you've had the Neat scanner for several years. However, the hardware itself would be the problem since the software relies on the scanner to physically detect if there is paper present. You can test this by scanning with Paint in Windows or Image Capture in Mac which also work with the scanner. It is also possible that the usb cable is no longer functioning 100% correctly. It would be worth testing with another cable as well if everything else was working correctly with the scanner.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

We had looked through three different softwares that are attuned for handling the expenses for businesses and we ended up deciding on Neat. We use their digital database quite a bit. We typically go in about once a month and we keep all of our receipts there. We do that so we’d have the reference if we need to go back to something and it tries to auto fill in all the details of the receipts which makes it easier for us to search them.

We no longer have to store everything physically so that's nice. We're able to search through when we really need to find a specific expense and see the copy of the receipt that we scanned in. But it sometimes automatically pulls the wrong the information and we found that it does that with the exact same couple of receipts. Other than that, it's been great for us as a small business and we are happy with it.

The Neat Company response

We're glad you were able to use Neat to keep your records digitally. Thanks for pointing out how useful the search feature is. It can make it very easy to find what you're looking for in your Neat cabinet. One thing we can suggest for the receipts you mentioned is to continue to enter the corrected information as needed. The software can learn what it should pull from the receipt after a while. Thanks for choosing Neat.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

NEATCONNECT - I spent a total of 2.5 hours between 50 minutes on hold and the rest talking to a supervisor and regular support. My firmware is out of date and cannot be updated through a MAC. I was told to borrow a Windows PC!!! I cannot add Cloud destinations like Dropbox. All support is through the Phillippines!!! There is no place, apparently no technicians where I can go or send the device to be updated. The Company will not exchange for a different device because they don't know if the current firmware is up to date. DO NOT PURCHASE!!!

Hello Stephen,

We do apologize for the inconvenience. As requested, we have issued a credit to your account for your trouble. We can help you update the firmware in cases where it doesn't auto-update and it would only take approximately 10 minutes to complete but the update tool does require a Windows computer (laptop would be fine) with an internet connection. Please respond to your current open case and we will be happy to help you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I purchased my NeatDesk ND-1000 for $498.00 2 years ago, hard drive failure caused me to have to reload my OS. I cannot locate my install disk. After hours of broken links on their website promising "legacy" software downloads, I called them directly for a link. I cannot legally have my files online due to a consulting job for a government agency and my contract that strictly forbids cloud accounts. Regardless, I refuse to pay an additional fee to use MY OWN HARDWARE! I went all over the web, read their legacy policy that says I can get a download. Only to follow yet, ANOTHER BROKEN LINK!!! This is beyond ridiculous. I've wasted HOURS just trying to get a copy of the software that I already own. I KNOW someone in this company has a copy of this dang software! I will never recommend this product again if they can't resolve this simple issue.

Hi Derek,

The legacy software was released nearly 3 years ago and will become less compatible with current operating systems as time goes by. We regret the inconvenience but it is no longer available on our website. We recommend our current up-to-date software.

Neat

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

After downloading MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.2, my Neat scanner quit working. I was using a scanner that did not require a monthly/annual fee. I tried contacting NEAT via email and phone. The email they responded back to me with had a link and instructions for taking care of the problem. However, when clicking on the link, I get a screen that pops up stating this is not supported by Apple. I tried calling the phone number in the email, but no chance to speak to a live person, only get an electronic response that does not help me at all. I am not interested in the fee paid version. Only interested in the free version. So frustrating trying to get hold of a live person. Really liked the scanner, but the customer support I need to solve this problem is not there.

Hi Peggy,

You can continue using the legacy version of Neat which has no cloud subscription fee. For support using legacy versions, you can visit our Legacy Community Site:

You can ask our Neat Community any question, and other customers will be able to answer you and provide suggestions.

We also have a help center article that provides the updated driver to use with Mac OS 10.13:

If you change your mind about using the cloud version of Neat, we are offering a promotional discount for users upgrading from legacy versions:
FAQ

This includes support by phone, chat, and email as well.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased a Neat scanner 3 or 4 years ago. I have been using the scanner on an old computer. I purchased a new computer, but I cannot find the disc containing the software. When searching I find that Neat is no longer providing the software for a computer and that you must purchase a subscription. I contacted the company asking for the old program to download. I am not asking them for support, just the old program. My experience with the chat service was terrible. I was basically told that there is no access to the old program and that I must purchase the subscription. They use the term 'Legacy'. Keep in mind that I own the most up to date version of the Neat ND1000 scanner. I must have purchased the scanner just prior to this change.

I feel it is fraudulent to sell a product when you know that the terms of the purchase will change soon thereafter. I am left with no recourse but to file my very first ever complaint online against a company. I do not do this lightly. I feel others should be warned that future dealing with Neat will be on their terms only, without regard to the terms of purchase at the time.

Hi Jim,

We're sorry this policy change has affected you adversely. We do need to point out that the newest version of the Legacy software was released in July, 2015 and we continued to support it until last year. We do continue to provide a Legacy Community Support page as well:

Also, your scanner, the ND-1000, is still fully compatible with our current software. We are currently offering a discounted promotional offer for Legacy users who wish to update to the current version:
FAQ

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased my NeatDesk 1000 for $500.00 3 years ago, now I needed a new Hard drive and can't find the install disk. I called the company and offered to buy a new install disk. I don't want my files online. PERIOD... Plus why should I pay a monthly fee to use the hardware I bought. I have told so many people about this product in the last 3 years. They should pay me advertising fees. I went all over the web, read their legacy policy that says I can get a download. Irish said she would send the request to management and they would e-mail me a download. We owners of this hardware should not be extorted for monthly fees if we don't need tech support and online storage. I already paid 5X the cost of a regular scanner.

Hi Wanda,

We're sorry for the frustration. The support agent did provide the correct information and followed the correct steps. We no longer provide downloads of our retired software. However, we will investigate your case further and provide you the results in a private response here.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Scanner works ok. Great that it scans both sides at once and quality is good. Software is a joke. Poorly organized and looks like a grade school project. Supposed to categorize automatically but it is hit or miss. Recently they dropped support for the current version and now are ransoming the data you have in their application at hundreds of dollars a year. Do not buy this ransomware. You are better off scanning things manually and putting them in folders. I was satisfied with the service at first but the more I used it the less I liked it.

Hi Don,

We're sorry to hear the software was not for you. However, we'd like to point out that all of the data you scanned into Neat is accessible on your computer where it was scanned. The subscription is for the cloud service which our current version does need to run but we do not prevent you from accessing your own data on your own computer.

You can follow the same steps as creating a local backup in order to access your data without the Neat software:

We hope that clarifies how you continue to have access to your data.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Warning Don’t Trust NEAT with your data. I purchased my Desktop Scanner (ND-1000) with the understanding that my Data would be stored on my PC. I do not use the Cloud. Two months ago my software locked up, now I can’t get to my records to prepare my taxes. Like a lot of companies NEAT has opted to disconnect with their customers by dropping telephone customer service agents opting for an automated operator that puts you in an endless Do-Loop with no one to talk to. Responses to my Email, the company says I have to Download my data to PDF’s using a program they supply, then upload the PDF’s to their cloud, even if I trusted Neat this would take a very long time, I am a business. Neat has lost my trust in the way they have responded to my complaints. I’ll just Go back to a manual system. I WILL NEVER TRUST THEM AGAIN, I recommend you do the same. If you agree share this with your friends.

Hello Frederick,

We are sorry to hear you experienced difficulties with the legacy software. We do offer support via our Community online. (neat.desk.com) You do not have to subscribe and/or use our cloud to stay on this version.

All of our current customers using the cloud-based software do have additional support via phone, email, and chat.

We are also offering a promotion for any legacy users who wish to upgrade to the cloud-based software:

Regards,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I’ve been using Neat software for eight years and I have been a legacy user which is their older version, a Windows-based program. They made a change a couple of years ago to the cloud-based system and I had been resistant to changing and making the move over to it because what I have was working fine and I didn’t want the yearly subscription. But then, technology was changing and there was going to be a timeframe then I had to do the data migration in or I would not be able to migrate. So, I decided to go ahead and did it. In the process of doing it, part of it wasn’t smooth but it got down to the last 25%. Then I started having some problems so I contacted Neat and talked to them about it.

The customer support was so good that I upgraded from the basic plan Neat Lite to the Neat Premium plan to continue receiving that particular level of customer support I had on it. Most of the technical support that I talked to came from the Philippines and I talked to two gentlemen and one lady. Her name was Donna and she was phenomenal. They listened to what my concerns were and they were the biggest reason that I made the move on it to the premium version. They are some of the best support I’ve had on working with software companies.

I use NeatDesk every day and I used to use it just on one machine but now with the new program, I can use it on two of my mobile devices and both of my machines that I have, one at work and one at home. So, wherever I am I can pull my data up. There were some issues trying to synchronize the old data when I did the data from my old program up to the new data on the new cloud program. But when I contacted Neat care, it took about three calls and every person I talk to when I call was extremely helpful. They would take remote access on one of my computers and would work on it for hours. I could leave to do something and come back an hour later while they were working on it. It was very seamless behind the scenes and they took care of every issue I had on it.

The main thing I do is store documents and it automatically indexes it for me then I give it a file name. I take my hard copies of papers and upload everything I’ve got to the cloud. I use it a bit for receipt and a lot of contacts stored in it where I scan business cards and it will automatically drop it into the Neat software. It’s extremely easy for me to go back in and search to find the document that I need and I could retrieve the data wherever I am. Then, I can actually type in one or two letters in the search field and it will reach out for the file name I gave. It will search my entire database and find any documents that pertain to those particular words and pull them up and then I can select the one I want. The indexing feature on it is extremely helpful and an extremely easy program to use.

The two programs are very similar so when they made the move from the legacy program to the cloud-based program, it was good that they kept the interface between the two almost identical. So, if you’re familiar with the one, you could make the move to the cloud-based and still use it just as easy. The biggest difference is that once it’s in the cloud, I don’t have to worry about backups and I can retrieve it from any of my mobile devices or any of my computers. And if I don’t have access to those from any computer anywhere, I could just go to the closest computer, go out to the Neat website, put in my username and password and I can pull up all of my information on the secured site.

I have no drawbacks and mine was a very smooth. It was nice that I didn’t even have to call customer support which doesn’t happen often. A lot of times especially when you’re doing something like that, you run into a glitch but instead of me having to sit and spend hours and hours trying to figure it out, they actually took control of the machine and did it themselves. I’d highly recommend it to them for ease of use and backup support and the customer support you received.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with migrating to the latest version of Neat as well as sharing how well our tech support team did to assist you in completing the migration. We love to hear how Neat benefits our users such as having access to their data from virtually anywhere.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance.

The Neat Company Company Information

www.neat.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use