Hello Roger,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we appreciate your feedback! After reviewing the case, it looks
like your data folder was stored in your One Drive folder. This could have been why your data became corrupted. For more info:

www.neat.com/helpcenter/supported-database-locations/.

For the trouble you have experienced, your cloud plan has been extended for one extra year. Your new Neat Cloud expiration

date is 9/7/2018.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I had bought an older version of The NeatDesk before. Now, I wanted to get rid of paper so I got the Neat scanner. Using it lets me view a lot of things for one particular supplier or vendor without having to have the file folder in front me. I can look at it online. I had a version 5 then I upgraded to the last one where I can hook up to the cloud. But the conversion was terrible. I spent hours with one of their tech guys who was super and helpful but in the end, all of my files got corrupted. I had to go back and rescan everything. Fortunately, I had not shredded the stuff that I had before or I would have had nothing.

It's a traumatic example that the new system is not as easy as the old one. I find it to be a little slower, too. I've done conversions from one computer system to another before but this is beyond terrible. When I'm going from a Neat program to a Neat program, it should fly. I was going from my computer to a Cloud environment and there should be something there to automatically interface it. I had to take a shot in the dark on buying what I bought because of emails I got from Neat. We did a computer update from Microsoft that’s got a store not far from here. Their guys were looking at those emails and scratching their heads saying they can't tell what Neat wanted done in my computer either.

I also don’t like that unless I'm a subscriber, I can't get to anybody. The only way I was able to get to somebody when I was looking for a system-quick general information was after I bought the new version. That's not customer service. I like the program and they got a good product. I might get into the reports sometime though right now, I don’t need it. It's just that the conversion issue wasted a lot of my time. If they wanna give me a couple of years' free subscription due to that, I'd definitely take it.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience! If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I was on tour and our store manager used NeatDesk to do all the receipts. And because I’m on the road, it was so convenient. I have to record every expense for the tour and since I’m constantly on the go, it’s better to scan them and get them an electronic copy as soon as possible. I do it every day. I use the business cards as well. It’s great that NeatDesk streamlines everything, and it makes it a lot easier to knock it out and get it to the accountants that I need to. I also use the NeatCloud on the go and I like how easy it is. If I really stack up my web case, then I scan on my phone and get something done if a runner brings it to me after. I'd definitely recommend The Neat Company.

Hi Barbara,

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I have a Neat Desk Scanner AND a mobile scanner - Love them both - I scan all sorts of info into my computer so I can dispose of the paper in a shredder. This way I can store all my tax receipts in the computer with less bulk. A recent computer glitch resulted in a new computer and a transfer to the Neat Cloud Software. And a need for tech support from Neat. They were wonderful about making time for my problems. I love Neat - (wait for it) they are NEAT!

Hi Charles,

We're really glad to hear that! We are working on making our Community site as useful as possible, so it's great to know it was so helpful for you. Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I had a new issue of my program not loading. I tried reloading the program (as it suggested) and it still did not work. I rebooted the computer several times and still the program would not load. I went to the Community Forum, entered the error message and the topic popped up. Not only that, the information posted was CORRECT and WORKED the first time! Having had such a positive result, I then tried another error message, where after loading the program, it had a scan that would not finish processing. I entered the error message and again I was delighted to find the topic, the solution and immediate resolution of this second error.

I have never had luck with community forums in the past. This was an absolute delight! Thank you!

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for your honest feedback! We always like to hear about our customer's perspective regarding their experience with Neat. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I was having a paper war and the paper had declared victory so I needed a scanner. I've always had a habit of keeping my receipts since I was young so my Neat Desk has been helping me with that and it has proven to be very useful in helping me learn how to do my taxes instead of relying solely on my accountant. I can get numbers for my accountant to gather easily. It has been helping me with all of my paper trails because when I first got it, I didn't know how to save everything so I just printed everything out. But I'm learning slowly. I have a stack of papers and now it saves to the Cloud. I have caught up with all of my papers and I'm so excited since next year will be my first year where I don't have to try to find a place for all of them. I love the machine and anybody in sales or who has to have a report of receipts needs it.

Hello Helen,

Thank you for your feedback! We are always working on improving our software and NeatCloud! Many improvements in the software have come from customer suggestions like yours. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I run a small business and I do a lot of scanning. I use my Neat scanner every day for checks I've received from customers, then I sort them by month. I put in my merchant service, which is people we run credit cards on and I put them in by month. I use it for my database of customers and a few different things. I like the idea that I can go right into the Neat and pick up all the stuff I need to look in. I like that it sorts and that I'm able to keep track of what's coming in and going out. I also have the Neat Cloud because if I were to lose this information, I'm not keeping paper copies anymore. I find it very convenient that I can always get it back from the cloud. I like Neat overall, other than the fact that I can't sort them into the way that I want them sorted. You can't change them. I have invoices that I want to go in and put the name of the person, the date, and the date on the receipt, but Neat has it as the date you scan it.

Hi Rand,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I have a small business and lots of documentation in terms of research that can only get in printed form that I needed to convert to digital form. I also had lots of experiential games that I've created that had to be imported into digital format. I use NeatDesk for maintenance of my business records so that I can produce them if needed and for tax purposes - once a week for occasional stuff, then once a month for heavy-duty copying of receipts for tax categorization and documents that I've received in printed form to get them in digital form so I can distribute them. It's a lot easier and faster to summarize a report, find errors and recording of the information. It saves me time. I also signed up for the NeatCloud, though I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

The platform has changed a couple of times and getting from one software to the next has been relatively smooth until the invention of Windows 10 when it was upgraded. Then I had a major system problem and I had to wipe my desk clean. The documentation they have online for those kinds of situations isn't easy to find and I wound up going to the help desk. It worked out great the first time I went through this issue, but now I'm stuck. I still have all my old files, but I can't get them imported yet. I've gone through hell trying to capture all of my records of work and get them into the new software for two or three weeks now. But under most usual circumstances, the software and the scanner works great. I have replaced parts which worked great so I'm really pleased. The cost to performance of the scanner is really good.

Hi Francis,

Thank you for the feedback. We are always happy to hear how our customers are doing and what their experience with Neat has been like.

If you have questions, or need additional assistance with the Neat legacy software, you can interact with other users at our Neat Legacy Community forum located here: https://neat.desk.com/

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I saw all the paper clutter and decided to do something about it. I have the Neat scanner and the portable version for a couple of years now. I use them once a week, using mostly the scanner feature and the one that puts things into folders. Using NeatDesk clears up a lot of my clutter. If I want to look at what charitable contributions I made, I can just go to that folder and look at the document. Moreover I find The Neat Company to be exceptional in customer service and in helping me with a problem. It's a good organization with a good product. I only wish that they make it a little easier on old people like me to be able to access and find out about how to do other things on Neat.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for commenting and we appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I use my NeatDesk three times a month. I use it mostly for a combination of scanning receipts and documents that I want to save to a PDF onto my computer. Since using NeatDesk, I've been able to combine computerized documents and PDFs in the same files easily because of its rapid ability to scan. I have used the NeatCloud on the go, however, it is blocked by my work's firewall. Therefore, I can only use it from home, which limits its utility to me. NeatDesk has strong organization tools and rapid scanning ability, though some features are non-intuitive. There are two main issues that I've noticed. First, it jams more frequently than I would like it to, though the jams are easy to fix, and second, it has some problems with very small receipts. Overall, I'm happy with NeatDesk.

Hi Christopher,

We appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

About three years ago, I was up in New England and I decided that I wanted to scan everything and have it all ready for tax purposes. I've got a couple of properties, so I want to have an electronic file of this stuff and not have a ton of paper around the house. I didn't want to scan everything, I wanted to just have electronic files of insurance policies to reduce my files. I got NeatDesk and so far, I'm very happy with it. I use it twice a month and I'm just getting back into it. I had a tutorial from a person over in the Philippines who was very helpful. I now have the tools I need to get back into it and start using it more often. I'd also love to have a manual of it.

Hi Perry,

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I've been using NeatDesk for a couple of years to do expense reports but now it's more to scan something. It's easy to find things with it since I could pull it up from anywhere. The NeatCloud works. My only dislike is the cost. For my circumstances right now, it's $15 a month, and I'm not using it often enough to make that worthwhile. They have very good support, though. When I needed support in the past, they've been there to help me recover some data.

Hi William,

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I've had NeatDesk for quite a few years. I'm the vice-president of an alumni association, and I was able to keep up with the members and all of our expenses. However, when I go to "Go to Neat", it says I have no support service. I was using it pretty much every day until I ran into this problem when I switched over to Windows 10, and I can't get it to work right. When I called, they said I have no support, and I can't get a hold of anybody that can help me with it.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for commenting, as we appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I've had the NeatDesk for so many years and I use it every year. I use the scanning feature the most and I use it for reports. NeatDesk has made my taxes so much easier. When it works, it works great, but when it doesn't, it's not so great. But overall, I've had a very good experience with it.

The Neat Company

Glad to hear it, Rand. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future and we will be happy to help!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I have an older scanner and was able to get parts that makes it run like new. Had some trouble installing Windows 10 and then getting Neat Database to find my data. Support team was fantastic in pointing me in the right direction! Now have an almost new scanner, with much faster software! I am a happy camper!

I bought a Neat scanner specifically for Mac in 2012. Back then you have to pick. PC or MAC. It was not cheap. I bought it at an electronics BOX STORE. The scanner worked from then until approximately 6-8 months ago (maybe longer, maybe less. I don't use it everyday). I assumed I was doing something wrong. Didn't have it plugged in correctly, didn't have paper loaded correctly, needed to clean scan bar, or any number of USER ERRORS I needed to investigate. In the mean time I just started using my scanner on my PC, one page at a time. When I got around to it, I finally found the problem. NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! The problem is now NEAT wants me to start paying for software I have already paid for. Bad form Peter Pan.

When I bought my SCANNER I didn't have to pay a fee to use the scanner. I understand if I don't choose to pay for your updates I do get access to your latest and greatest, but to lock me out of what I have already paid for? Bad Form Peter Pan. I should have my NEAT SCANNER unlocked and turned back on just as it was. I'm not asking for upgrades. I don't want them. I'm happy with what I bought. I'm embarrassed that I recommend several people should buy the product, due to the fact that they are now holding the hardware hostage, unless you pay more money for what you have already paid for. The scanner hardware has a green light and is green, ready to go, but the Mac computer scanner icon is grayed out and will not turn on till you "update". Updated through NEAT involves giving NEAT your credit card number and agreeing to give the company money on a regular basis. That's a crock. I already paid for it.

I purchased a Neat scanner a few years ago (2015) and finally set it up a few months ago. Their software said you could still use it for free without purchasing the unnecessary cloud software package they're pushing people to pay for, so long as you downloaded the legacy package, which I did at the time. I used it for a while, storing business cards, etc., but now it won't log me in unless I agree to pay - I get a screen where I put my e-mail/password and then get the "your free trial has expired". When I delete the software and go download the "legacy version" from their website, it asks me for my e-mail/password to even download it. This means I have no way to access the information I entered when it was supposed to be free to use.

Extreme disappointment. In fact, this borders on fraud. There is nothing on the box containing my Neat scanner that says you have to pay monthly to use it, nor in the instructions that came with it. Further, to not let you have a way to just login without paying and export all your data is really close to blackmail. Given they're already getting $300 for the scanner, this is unabashed greed. I'll likely have to pay for a month to get all data out, but the fact is, the company is not meeting what it promised.

Do not recommend buying anything from this company since, given this behavior, who knows what sorts of shady, unacceptable business tactics they might use in the future (suddenly raising the price dramatically, for example, and not letting you get your data out if you don't pay it, figuring that your documents are stuck with them and inaccessible otherwise). Not worth the risk of purchasing a product from them. Too bad, because the scanner is a good product for transferring local documents to your local machine, and worth the price for that.

Hello David,

Thank you for your feedback and for your patience. We certainly apologize for the frustration current issues with Neat for Mac Sierra have caused you.

We are also anxiously awaiting the new Neat for Mac software to be released. This new version is believed to fix crashing and stability issues in the Sierra environment. We hope to have this released by the end of April.

We would be more than happy to take a look at your account to see if there is any sort of compensation that can be provided. However, we do not have any plans listed under the email address dbdewhurst@gmail.com. Can you provide us with your Neat Cloud account email address so we can take a look?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 22, 2017

What is now the legacy software worked fine. Neat then jumped on the bandwagon of only supporting cloud based software. For the "privilege" of paying an annual subscription, versus just buying the software previously, we now have an inferior system. The cloud based functions are much less manageable than the previous desktop software. In addition, despite having 6 or 7 months to update to support Sierra it is still crashing frequently. So we now have a system that is unstable, has less features, is more cumbersome to use and costs and annual fee in the bargain. I gave two stars because I have had pretty good support from the email support team although their hands are tied by limitations in the system. At the very least Neat should give users of the cloud based system who have Sierra as their operating system a rebate on the current year's annual subscriptions.

Resolution In Progress

I have owned my Neat NM1000 for a number of years and it worked perfectly on my Windows computer. However I have now changed to a MacBook Air and there is no software for me to install unless I subscribe and pay. I do not want it in the cloud, just want my receipts and scan to my Mac. Absolutely useless to me now, might as well throw it in the trash. Thanks Neat for nothing.

I bought a NeatReceipts scanner to scan in business receipts but shortly after I bought it Neat started forcing users to use their BS cloud-powered service. Receipt scanning isn't a cloud-based activity. There is ZERO reason to use an online service to scan your receipts too. Their old legacy software (no longer available on their site) had a lot more functionality for cleaning, cropping and straightening receipts. The new "Cloud-Powered" piece of crap software doesn't. It is so frustrating to use that I have given up on it and am on a hunt for a third party scanner software solution. If I can't find one I will throw the damned scanner out and NEVER buy a Neat product again. I also HATE that the Neat software full screens itself all the time. Really?!? NOTHING else on my computer is as important as you!? Remember the damn screen size I set for you and stick to it!

Overall NEAT is a money-grubbing company that is hell-bent on squeezing every penny they can out of their customers. It's a shame too as their old desktop software was good. It scanned receipts fast and didn't get in your way. The new software may as well kick you in the balls when you start it up just to remind you that you're in for some serious pain for the next little while. I can't tell you how much I hate NEAT for what they did to an almost perfect product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

I purchased the Neat scanner a few years ago after making sure there would be no charges for using it after the initial purchase. I was happy with the product until I found out that I would now need to purchase a subscription in order to use the scanner. This is so wrong. I paid full price for the product and the software. Why is The Neat Company allowed to extort money from people who already bought their product? I cannot believe this is legal.

Hi Donald,

We are very sorry for any trouble, as well as any confusion. Our development team is always working to add new features, as well as features of our Legacy software, to our Cloud-Powered software.

If you have been using our Cloud-Powered software, you can access your data without a subscription. See http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/access-named-pdfs-images-offline/ for more information.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 19, 2017

This company has successfully taken a great product with their legacy version and turned it into a mediocre product at best with their cloud app. The reports portion does not give you what you need often times. It is slow and cumbersome compared to the previous version. They hold you hostage with the subscription-based access to your images. This company has gone from a great business tool to a total incompetent useless scam.

Hi Mark,

We're very sorry for any trouble. Can you tell us where and when you purchased your scanner?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 18, 2017

I've had a scanner a long time. It works ok after you get the software installed. But I had to reinstall the software on a different computer when my old one crashed. - YOU CAN'T USE THE SCANNER until you fill out a long registration and then YOU HAVE TO LOG IN TO USE THE SCANNER?!!! What kind of deal is that? I bought the scanner... I just want to use it... I shouldn't have to log in to your system to use it!! I'm throwing it in the trash can and going with a different brand!

Hi Bernardus,

We are currently testing an update that will resolve the stability issues affecting our Cloud-Powered software in Sierra. We will let you know as soon as the update is released.

In the meantime, do you have a current case open with us? We do not have any recent case history associated with your email address.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I have a Macbook with Sierra installed on it. This came out in September of 2016. You would think that when doing a update that the last two operating systems would work with their hardware software combination. I bet they would never release this if it had the same problems on windows.

Hello,

That's great to hear! We definitely appreciate the feedback. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Jansen ** was very personable, polite, and helpful in solving my problem. I had the Essential Cloud Plan but my scanner would not function in this program. She asked what my model number was for the scanner I was operating. From there she asked for permission to take control of my computer. Which I had no problem and she sent me the link for her to get into my computer. Within 10 minutes she had my scanner operating on my computer in the program downloaded from Neat.

The only suggestion I would offer as an improvement was that after I relinquished control of my computer Jensen told me that the phone conversation would end and we would finish this process using the Chat Box. I would have rather stayed on the phone. Other than that Jensen did an excellent job of resolving my problem and the scanner is still working in the Essential program. Thank you for all of your help.

I have owned this for several years. The software was never great and the customer service was always poor. Scanner did what it was supposed to do though. I recently attempted to use my scanner for the most basic function, to scan, and realized I no longer could. Neat has literally made it so that you cannot scan paper and store it on your computer without paying a minimum of $95.88. I would have never guessed this was possible. I hope someone initiates a class action lawsuit. I just ordered a Fujitsu who by the way had a customer service agent on the line with me within 30 seconds of my call.

I purchased a new NEAT scanner after reading a bunch of negative reviews online, simply because I have purchased previous versions of the NEAT scanner. The product and software which has a good OCR engine, performed very well over the last few months... until my subscription ran out. Now, I can understand NEAT Company wanting to create a bigger revenue stream, even though customers like me are typically loyal to a well-designed product. But, when I no longer have access to the receipts I scanned into the system before the subscription expired, I take exceptional issue with this.

NEAT company does NOT own the images I have scanned into the system and should not legally be able to prevent me from seeing what I did on the system with a current subscription. This business practice is illegal and unethical. I sure hope the NEAT company resolves this sort of issue before legal action is necessary. If I could give less stars than one, I would. Shame on you NEAT company. Congratulations on losing customers left and right all in the name of profit.

Hi Darren,

We are very sorry for any trouble. While we are no longer supporting Legacy versions of Neat, you can continue to use it without any additional charges. It looks like you have an existing case and received assistance from our tech support team - are you still having trouble installing the Legacy software? If so, please let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 6, 2017

I purchased a Neat scanner ND-1000 software and have been using it for a few years. I had to purchase a new computer, I have the disk from when I purchase the neat scanner to load on my new computer. The software will not allow me to load it on to the new computer, so I called neat support. Neat support said they no longer support the software however they will sell me a service for over $7.00 month. So if I don't buy the new software I can no longer use my neat scanner. When I purchase the scanner I didn't have pay a monthly charge, this sure does sound fair to the consumer.

Hi Martha,

Sorry for any trouble, and we definitely understand your concerns. We take the security of information stored in our Cloud very seriously. However, if you do not wish to use the Cloud, you can still use our Legacy software at no charge. While we are no longer providing agent-assisted support for the Legacy software, you can visit our Legacy Support Community for help at https://neat.desk.com/

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 5, 2017

We bought the Neat Desktop ND 1000 in 2015. It worked fine at first but now we are struggling. Started to have a pop-up window that made scanning so frustrating. When I went to the website to try to find support to fix that, I found out our software has an "End of Life " status and it will no longer have ANY support. Still if I wanted support, I need to pay for a plan!!

Why would Neat sell you a product that will stop working in a couple of years and then CHARGE you to fix it!! You are warned on the website you need to buy a plan to get support!!! The alternative (that needs a paying plan as well) is to update to the "new Cloud Powered Software " because the previous software is no longer supported. We want our information in our desktop and in our desktop ONLY!! We have more than enough storage space to handle our documents, we do not want it published in their "Cloud" open and available to whoever wants to access it, there is already a huge amount of identity theft cases all over, to even consider this and make these thugs their work easier!!!

Hi William,

Sorry for any trouble and inconvenience. It looks like you were able to get in contact with our support team to address this situation, including a refund. If you are having any further issues, please let us know. We will be happy to assist you.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 3, 2017

I signed up for Neat Cloud Service. I used a card I almost never use. 4 day later a $1 charge appeared for the neat company AM 4:40 then 10 minutes later $10 dollar charges 20 in a row happened until fraud protection shut it down. I gave my card info to them and it was used by some employee. Think about this before you give card info to them, I hope their cloud is not open as well?

Resolution In Progress

Neat started off great, I just wanted a smart scanner to help organize things. I have a Mac and the program worked great until they decided to get rid of the software only program (that works) (Legacy is the biggest joke ever). You can't get help and you can't download a program that works/updates/finds your scanner without paying for their online subscription. My $100+ portable scanner is useless garbage now. I despise companies that trick you into subscriptions. I won't do it. I'll trash my scanner, because I refuse to pay money to sneaky shady businesses!

Hi Vladimir,

We're sorry for any trouble. It does like you have a previous case open with us. We will have an agent review this case and reach out to you to assist.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 2, 2017

The company unilaterally decided to end the life of the software and scanner I purchased back in 2012. They made me upgrade to a cloud-based subscription plan, which I did and started my monthly payments. Unfortunately, the scanner didn't work correctly with the new version. I had to re-install the software and drivers numerous times, just to find out that the next day the scanner will not respond again. I tried to downgrade to the old (legacy) software again, but the program couldn't start and Windows was shutting it down immediately.

To make the things even worst, the new version of the software does not support the old file format. Now I have a backup of data for several years that is inaccessible and couldn't restore. I spend a day searching information in online forums regarding the Neat Legacy Software, but the best I found was the following text: "You will have to use the Legacy Neat softwares sync feature to upload your items to the cloud. You can find more information here: http://www.neat.com/support/mac-v4/sync/." How can I use the Legacy Neat software's sync feature if the Legacy Neat software doesn't run under Windows 10 at all???

No response received

Hi Allyson,

We're very sorry for any trouble. We do not have a record of any support cases associated with your email address - do you have any previous case numbers we can reference? We will also have an agent create a new case and reach out to you shortly.

Original review: April 1, 2017

My NeatDesk never worked. Not ever. NEVER. Calls and emails were no help, because Neatdesk was interested only in putting me off until I gave up. Which I did. My Neatdesk never EVER worked. It has never scanned a single thing. We paid hundreds for this ridiculous doorstop. They acted like I was a novice computer user, and that I must be the problem.

Hi Eric,

We're sorry to hear that you've had trouble, but we really appreciate the feedback! We are currently working major improvements to our support experience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know, and we will be happy to assist you.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I've had NeatDesk since 2011 and I utilize my Neat Scanner to keep track of my business expenses for tax purposes. I send the tax information to my accountant and I also scan in my business receipts. I use NeatCloud on the go and it's very convenient, except that it uploads the entire program into the Cloud. And when I charge something, it takes time for it to download the information to my phone or access it.

I'm not doing my 2017 because I've got to finish my taxes and then delete all the existing data from 2016 because it totally confuses the whole program. And sometimes, it won't even get the breakdown of the accounts in the same order. So, I've given up using the mobile until I get off and delete the previous year’s expenses and save them offline. Using the mobile app on my phone, it used to work phenomenal. But then, something happened somewhere and it never worked again. When I use the gas pump and I got a receipt that I'm gonna take a picture of, I can see it downloading and it seems awful goofy that it would download all the specific data in them which doesn't seem to make any sense.

Tech support has been okay, but it's offshore and I can't understand what they are saying. And the phone connection isn't good or not working well. They did try and do their best to fix my issue, but I'm sure part of the reason why it took so long was because I couldn't understand what they were saying and maybe they couldn't understand me, too. I do think they should change their tech support. But other than those, I like the program. I recommended people to get a NeatDesk.

Factual basis uncertain

Hi Jo,

We are very sorry for any trouble. We are still testing the update to resolve the stability issues with our Cloud-Powered software. Please stay tuned for updates.

Can you confirm the case number you have used to contact Jansen? We'd like to review the case and reach back out to you.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have used Neat Desktop for Mac since 2009. They stopped our ability to use Desktop and I do not want to use the cloud version but am forced to. Neat Receipts Cloud was sold to me as a working software in February. It does not. In converting files to the cloud based version, I was communicating with Neat for over 60 DAYS. Customer service person named Jansen was useless and beyond frustrating. In the end, the software continued to crash. She finally told me on March 20th after over 36 hours of non-stop attempts to convert that they are upgrading due to this problem and that the fix should be done by today, March 31, 2017. It is not fixed. It is Friday. And, it took days to get to the 36 hours of conversion because of Neat's very poor customer service. The worst is the fact that I do not think the IRS will accept my excuse that Neat is a non-viable software and the tax returns are due very soon...

Hi Donald,

We are very sorry for the trouble. It looks like you have opened several cases with us - can you confirm the case number for your most recent case? We would like to review and reach back out to you.

Original review: March 31, 2017

When I began with Neat several years ago, it was a great company. When I needed technical support, I could reach people who were knowledgeable and who cared about customer satisfaction. During the last year, things have changed in a dramatic way. Technical support assistance is shallow and there is so much background chatter that it is very difficult to hear and understand those providing support. Even the client identification process is barbaric, creating great frustrations as they review the same, long list of questions instead of devising a meaningful, but simple, client ID process, including utilization of caller ID so that the support person begins the conversation with the account screen open to the account assigned to a particular telephone number.

Asking to be referred to a level of support with higher qualifications does not work. Trying to call the corporate office in Philadelphia is a joke... The phone system is intentionally designed to keep them from having to talk with their subscribers. It's a shame to see a great idea being driven into the ground by "care-less" management. THIS IS NOT A FAKE REVIEW. It is a cry for help.

Hi Joy,

We're very sorry for any trouble. We are currently testing the update for our Cloud-Powered software that should allow your scanner to work with Mac computers. We'd also like to assist you directly - can you confirm the email address or case number you used to communicate with our support team in the past?

Original review: March 31, 2017

I'm currently looking at other scanners. I'm so disappointed in this scanner. I'm in a time crunch to scan receipts and this will not work with my MAC. I tried the scan by phone and it won't upload. Neat told me they'd have a fix by the end of the month, it's here and they don't have a fix. I will not recommend them to anyone.

Hi Jeff,

We're very sorry for any trouble, and we definitely understand your frustration. We would like to review your case to determine if we can provide any further assistance. However, we are having trouble locating the case you mentioned in your comments. Can you provide us with the case number, or the email address you used to begin the chat session?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: March 30, 2017

Long time Neat customer here. I am not the person that typically reviews products, however this company continues to win the "worst software" award each year in my book and I have finally had enough (I'm a Mac user utilizing Neat's online Essentials software). I've recently started paying for the service and customer service support over the past year. The software is so buggy and continually crashes shortly after launching the program that there is zero reliability. This has been a consistent problem over the past 1 (ridiculous for a paid software). Any tech support takes forever (must be understaffed or 2). Other people are experiencing my frustrating.

Yesterday it took a "chat session" took 55 minutes to get started and total time invested was 1 hr. 30 mins. Customer support by phone is no better (and again, you have to pay a few to get phone support). The concept of going "paperless" is great in theory but this software and customer has been an ongoing nightmare for years. Neat in itself, extended the number of hours spent on taxes this year, AGAIN, because of crashing software.

Note that whenever Apple updates its operating system it will take Neat at least 3-6 months to get up to speed. This happens EVERY year and they have not seemed to figure out how to adapt like the other 17 software services that I subscribe to. The legacy desktop software which is no longer supported had so much more flexibility than both the new desktop and online versions. I'd love to save that both options will both be feature rich in the near future, but trust someone with first-hand experience, "don't hold your breath." Bye, bye Neat. If other readers know of a good alternative. I am all ears.

Hi Janice,

You can create a case anytime at http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/. As a courtesy, we have created a case for you and will have an agent reach out shortly. Please check your inbox and spam folder for the case update.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I purchased the cleaning cloth from Neat and it damaged my machine. There is a wide multi colored stripe down the page. So far it has been impossible to get someone from Neat to help me.

Hello Cynthia,

We apologize for any frustration. We reviewed your account and it doesn't appear that you ever reached out to support for assistance with this issue. The scanners come with a one year manufactures warranty and if support finds that the device is faulty, they can replace the scanner for you.

We have created a case for you (case: 597540). An agent will be reaching out to you via email shortly to request more information about your issue. Please reply directly to the case and support would be more than happy to assist you with any issues.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I had been looking at the Neat machine and contemplating buying it for at least a year. My sister in law had one and told me she really liked it. I finally took the plunge and purchased the Neat Connect WIFI. After purchasing the Neat Connect, it stayed in the box a couple of months before I finally set it up. My assistant scanned my business cards and it seemed to work well for about 3 months. I am extremely disappointed with this machine. Every time I try to scan a document the document gets stuck and I cannot use the machine at all. I tried cleaning the roller but nothing works.

This machine costs me $499 and I have not gotten any usage out of it at all. Had I opened the Neat Connect right away, I would have returned it. There must be something you can do about this faulty machine. I was so looking forward to automating my office and working with my assistant remotely, and putting my documents online. Because this machine does not work, I cannot do any of the above. Is there anything you can do to assist me?

Insufficient response received

Hello Joel,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. We have logged the details of your feedback in an effort to improve our products and services.

There are some currently known issues with scanning to Dropbox and OneDrive that are currently being worked on by Neat developers. We recently released an update that has resolved issues with OneDrive for many of our customers. You can always check our status page for any issues and updates: http://www.neat.com/support/neat-scanner/neatconnect/neatconnect-status/

As for the Cloud, the scanner is made to work directly with the Neat Cloud so that customer's can take advantage of the many Cloud features available like unlimited storage, access to the Neat mobile application, and the ability to export your Neat data to a select group of supported accounting software platforms. We will forward your request for scanning directly to a network drive to our Neat developers. Many improvements in the software have come from customer suggestions like yours.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: March 22, 2017

I would like to say the only thing that is great is the hardware itself. The scanner is fantastic. But the functions on it are not. Everything scans it is the software that is the problem. I am going to be returning my Neat scan connect to Sam's where I bought it. If they would make it so you can wifi scan to your computer on the network and not have it transmitted over the internet, they would corner the market. I LOVE the duplex scan. But again the only thing that actually works is using it to send to their cloud service. I don't want my documents to be on the cloud. There is no option to easy put it on my network drive as the software does not allow you to do that. Also when you scan to your computer multiple pages that are 2 sides and have it set for combined it will put each page as a separate file.

Dropbox, OneDrive will not even work. I have 1T space on OneDrive and it can't remember the password and every time it will reject it. Yet I can use my phone and have it sent to OneDrive no problems. I am very unhappy with this software. AGAIN I wish it could be used just on my network as I have 4T space for all my paperwork. I have to switch back to my HP all in one unfortunately. I can scan it as a searchable doc and save it to any computer or my network drive. Like I said before you would corner the market on scanners if you would add scan to computer on the person's own network and not have to use your service only. I have a satellite internet service and it makes it hard with the limited bandwidth to use. Believe me I will be a customer again if you ever open it up more to access my own network and just scan the pdf file to computer or network drive directly. Till then I will have to stick to my big one side scan all in one HP printer.

Hi Pamela,

We are very sorry for any trouble. Our development team is currently testing an update that will resolve the issues you are experiencing with our Cloud-Powered software. We will notify you as soon as the update is released. We expect that to occur in the very near future.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Neat is selling a product to Mac users that is unusable due to a software issue. They are not telling their customers or potential customers about the problem. After 7 years as a customer I received no notification that the problem existed and have not been able to use the product for months.

Insufficient response received

Hi Rafeek,

Can you give us a little more information about your issue? Are you receiving any specific error messages? What version of Neat do you have installed?

Original review: March 21, 2017

As a small business owner and in IT Project Management, I find that a company with so many poor reviews would still be in business. Probably because they got people, including me, hooked and dependent on this software, and then converted to a cloud based, monthly subscription. Hearing the calamity that the conversion caused, I remained with the desktop version I started with in 2012. The support is complete trash, as I've spent half a day being led in circles by an automated voice asking to spell out my email, and she kept having errors as slowly as I spoke. It only directs you to the site, where the online chat is totally useless; just a spinning wheel.

If you're migrating to a cloud version, you should have ample support. You should also be taking of your legacy patrons who are grandfathered into this $250+ investment. I keep getting crash errors to restart the program losing my work. Most recently, persistent import errors. I have reinstalled several times with little progress after. I suspect there is built in obsolescence to the legacy updates to get people to pay monthly now. I have lost years of evidence for the IRS, including the receipt for my original Purchase of Neat.

Working in IT, and Sales, I was a huge advocate for this product, now I feel responsible for entrapping so many others in the same situation I am in. This is the worst time for this to be happening to me as tax season is coming to a close, and I am scrounging for an alternate solution. I have an account under **, and unless I subscribe to a plan, I cannot get any support. Neat, I need you to reach out to me and provide a resolution ASAP. - Disgruntled patron.

I've been a Premium Neat Scanner and Cloud service customer for a number of years, quite happy with the product and the service, until the last month or so. I simply wanted to upgrade my scanner to a newer one, so I ordered it online through my website portal, and all appeared good. About a week later, I hadn't received it yet, so I looged in to check on the order and it said it was in "fulfillment," so I just assumed it was in process -- not a big deal.

About three weeks later, it still said the same thing, but it seemed excessive, so I called into Customer Service and was told that my credit card was declined. I expressed two issues -- 1) My card is a typical card with lots of credit available, so there's no reason it should have been declined; but 2) Even worse, why wouldn't the company call ME? The person apologized, took a different card over the phone, and said it would be to my house in 4 days.

About 10 days later, I called again, wondering what was wrong this time. Once again, the next card I used was declined, for the same reason (no reason), and nobody called! The CS person apologized and asked me to use yet another card, to which I replied that I would not do so, and asked to speak with her supervisor. She put me on hold and returned to say that her supervisor was unavailable. I told her to cancel the order, to which she immediately said she would and asked if there was anything else she could do for me... very weird! I said that in fact she could have connected me to her supervisor, but then thanked her and hung up.

I followed up the call with an email asking her to have her supervisor call me that afternoon. This was no longer about buying the product, it was about the lack of customer care and service. The same gal called me back about two hours later to tell me that she found out my card had been canceled by me after I placed the order, which was simply not true -- I have never in my long life called and canceled a credit card order through the bank. She said their system doesn't tell them when a credit card order is declined, so they have no way of knowing it until a customer calls and complains, which I find incredible if true, since virtually every other company I've ever done business with can run a card and make sure it clears before they even place the order. I thanked her for calling me back and expressed my disappointment once again in their lack of customer care.

It's too bad -- last night I went out and purchased a competitor's product that I had chosen not to buy previously. It cost more money and isn't as comprehensive as the Neat scanner I had before, but I would rather work with a competent product from another company than be associated with one that holds its customers with such low regard.

Hello Lorel,

We apologize for the frustration. To clarify, Neat is compatible with the new Sierra OS for Mac, however the software is experiencing stability issues. We have recently released an update that helped improve stability issues for many customers on Sierra. A new version is being tested by the team and will be released shortly to provide more stability improvements.

It appears that our support team has already provided you with an additional year of the Cloud service for free, due to the issues you are experiencing. You will not be billed again for the service until 2/22/2018.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and look forward to getting you back up and running with the next release.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: March 17, 2017

I upgraded to the cloud based Neat Essentials software in December. Since that time I have been totally unable to use Neat. The software crashes every time I use it, in a matter of seconds after opening the program. Even the legacy software now crashes all the time. It can take me an hour just to scan a single sheet. I have talked to technical support for hours - I have had email and live chat conversations with technical support. All anyone can tell me is that the software is not compatible with the Mac OS X Sierra but you're working on it. I do not understand why it is taking so long to deal with the compatibility issue. I am thinking of cancelling my subscription because I feel like I am paying for NOTHING.

The Neat Company Company Profile