3.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1047 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I got tired of seeing all my receipts floating around the truck. The NeatDesk puts all my receipts and all my paperwork in one place. I just use the scanner and put it in my system. I tried the NeatCloud, but it was a pain in the butt so I quit.

Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you are still utilizing your scanner and are enjoying the service that it provides. If you are having difficulty using the cloud based software then you are more than welcome to set up a 1:1 training with one of our well trained support agents here: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/01-18-2019

We also provide a free scanning utility that you can utilize for easy scanning: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

Thank you again for writing a review and thank you for choosing Neat!

Get expert buying tips about Expense Management Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

You guys know that no one would have bought your scanners if you would have been transparent about requiring people to use your subscription-based software crap! This scanner was not inexpensive or cheap and you pretty much said screw the customers. Bad business. I hope you die a quick industry death like Gateway. CRAP!!!

Dee,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not requiring any of our Legacy customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

If you would like to utilize our scanner without purchasing a subscription, please refer to the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also provide a free scanning utility: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

If you would like to purchase a Neat subscription for a special price, you can take a look at the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Like many others that purchased their scanning AND organization SOFTWARE PACKAGE back in the company's "early days", I'm way beyond disappointed that after upgrading my computer I am being FORCED into a "Cloud-based subscription". Basically I have an expensive paperweight at this point. The company is basically forcing me to look at other companies with better options. What a brilliant customer service strategy to force loyal customers that supported your product & service in the beginning by FORCING them to buy into the subscription service or seek other companies products & services. Genius.

Eric,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not forcing any of our customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We originally had gotten NeatDesk for personal use. And then, we started our own business, so we transferred it over to using it for our business. We use it to keep records and scanning receipts to be able to locate them and keep them organized.

Susan,

Thank you for writing a review! We really appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you are staying organized with Neat!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I'm so aggravated. There should be an option for ZERO stars. I've purchased two very expensive Neat scanner over the years and now there is no way to download the software onto my new computer without buying a subscription? What a joke. I even subscribed a few years ago and ended up cancelling my subscription due to its poor functionality. Now I now own two useless pieces of junk without the software. You can't even talk to one of Neat's customer service agents without a subscription. Why on earth would I want a subscription at this point? Buyer beware.

Elizabeth,

We do apologize for the inconvenience but we no longer provide the Legacy software for download. Please take a look here for more info about our retired products: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Even though you are now interested in a subscription with Neat, you are abelt o utilize your scanners without the Neat sofwtare : https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also offer a free desktop scan utility that you are able to utilize with your Neat Scanner: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/request-neat-dsu-beta/'

Once again, we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I as many others on this site joined Neat early on and was excited about the possibilities and ease of the product. The product itself did not really operate as well as promised and as others have said, the consumer gets caught in a bait and switch subscription plan. I gave away the product over a year and a half ago. There was no data stored in my account. Recently I received a threatening email saying I owed them money, not for the time I used the account, but in the last 18 months when I never used it. I asked them to send me some authorization that I renewed my subscription (which they couldn’t). I finally talked to a “supervisor” Ivan, who said he would cancel it today if I paid them money. Don’t use this company.

Anita,

We do apologize for the frustration this may have caused you. We have taken a look at your case history with the Neat company and we cold locate your account. We see that you have signed up for a subscription back in June of 2017. During the set up of the account, there were terms and conditions that had to be agreed upon for your Premium Yearly account. Once a year of service passes, your subscription will automatically renew. Please take a look at our terms and conditions here: https://support.neat.com/terms-and-conditions/

When taking a look at your case history with Neat, We did not receive any communication about cancelling your account until 1/3/2019.No communication was received for the year of 2018. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

No response received
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/07/2019: Since I was busy over the holidays, I was unaware that there was a 3 day response window and after reading the response from NEAT, I feel compelled to answer the obviously ridiculous and very misleading statement that was used as explanation to my initial review. First and foremost, the software provided was not a "gimmie" for purchasing the overpriced scanners. If I buy a gallon of paint, I do not expect to pay $700.00 for the brush, but essentially that is what NEAT did. The initial software (before 5.0 and above) was bug ridden garbage while that with much improvements made over time, was developed to be what it is today with user feedback and multiple requests for enhancements.

Basically, we were the Guinea pigs of a much larger perpetrated scam which would lead to the "cloud" based pricing plans that are now offering. After all, the much touted software in the cloud is or was, identical to what we had on our desktops. There was other competitors offering better and more accurate scanners with exemplary software for almost the same cost with usually much higher and consistent reviews. (And...not available in store, when I had to purchase one on the road, thus why I was stuck buying NEAT in the first place.)

Secondly, the software should still be available but they also know if it is offered, nobody is going to buy into this "cloud" theory because a person could easily do all of the scanning offline, store it in our own clouds or PC, email it, export and import data as we all were able to do before the last version of the desktop software was removed from the website altogether. NEAT made sure that there was also no going back on versions and used strict version control to ensure that if you did not have a prior version installed, the "updated upgrade" would not install. I still have two versions of 5 and neither will install because I do not have the original apple cart of installations that took place before them, to get it to the last released version. Of course, Windows 10 support was never in the cards fully anyway, so I get it.

Thirdly, there were no super awesome support staff to help me because most of it was done by myself, sifting through months and a couple years of saved data files and then going through them all over again, re-entering the data that was not processed correctly the first time around, and hoping it all came out like it did before. No luck. Just broken entries, missing pictures, scrambled text, missing custom categories...etc...a corrupted DB plain and simple. Luckily though, I had stored a DB file of each software release, in each of its own folders on a hard drive that was specifically set for vaulted and secure backup in RAID configuration.

I can assure you that $1,000.00 ea. server hard drives in RAID configuration had nothing to do with corrupting the once perfect data saved. But...to no avail. When we were all basically locked out of our software, none of that work mattered and I was already moving on to something better which is QuickBooks Self Employment. I use a Brother scanner to PDF the receipts, send the multiple receipts to QuickBooks via email and poof! Done deal. All for $5.00 a month. They even have an app on your phone where you can snap pics of your receipts the same as what NEAT used to provide until greed overtook them.

In closing, NEAT has desktop scanners (at one time almost $700.00 with software when I bought mine and is now considered a "legacy relic with absolutely NO support") that rely solely on cloud based architecture for $200 and up which are useless without subscription. In my honest opinion, they are essentially already a dinosaur compared to the offerings of Brother, Fujitsu and Epson, which are smaller, quicker, cleaner and more reliable with actual software suites free of charge to do an entire plethora of scanning tasks with every option available to do with what you wish with your scanned data. At any rate, do not participate in this one armed bandit of endless rabbit hole subscription based garbage. At some point, you will become "Legacy" like the rest of us and all you will have to show for that ill spent money is an oversized paperweight. Had somebody told me that NEAT would go the route that.

Original Review: As typical with all "grassroots" companies, the user base who buys these overpriced products bear usually the burden of grasping onto technology in infancy stages. I was one of those people and was absolutely enamored with the ease and accuracy that my scanner and phone app produced the scans and then of course, transcribed the data not only into readable format, but expense reports that allowed a vast pool of organized chaos for thousands of dollars of receipts that I had to turn in monthly. I had paid for my scanner and the service was part of the very steep price, to which I enjoyed the option of uploading and allowing 1 guest (my regional boss) the ability to view those same categorized and itemized expenses online via a guest account. It simplified our communications while I was on the road for great lengths and gave her literal live updates of my spending, expenses and budgetary numbers.

The option to allow multiple users/email accounts to access this data and other enhancements were simply an added basis for cost and of course, since I did not need all of those bells and whistles for multiple users other than myself and regional, I enjoyed the product I paid for at its minimal base of options that fit my needs perfectly. All data was stored on my computer in their proprietary DB format and I had multiple backups of enormous size and value. Then as progress dictates, 5.0 and above, started slowly but surely, the mandatory subscription based premise and magically, corrupted all of my stored data and my online data, which then became irretrievable.

After several correspondence emails and haggles with support, I was able to retrieve my data (because I will NOT be forced into a subscription plan holding my data hostage) and then was confronted with the fact, that after upgrading the software (stupidly) there was no going back and the stored data would not correctly display any longer, nor provide much of the key values that once were as accurate as typing it in manually. For a brief second, I thought that perhaps the subscription plans would be of benefit so for the first time my curiosity got the best of me and I looked at the range of ridiculously and unreasonably priced plans for just simple use of the app on my phone and of course, scanning directly to my computer.

A monthly based subscription plan mind you, that was never part of the initial purchase but now a forced option to use the product I had spent so much money on. As an individual user, with no usage of the product other than scanning receipts for the company I worked for on purchased items and not of any business or personal business use for myself, the prices were simply unreasonable cash grabs. I would strongly recommend staying away from this bait and switch company, its overpriced scanners and subscription plans, because in time, they will once again throw you over the barrel of corporate extortion to view or use your data as the sub prices continue to rise beyond reasonable amounts.

My wish, if I could turn back time, would of been to purchase instead, the one of the other numerous scanners (with superior scanning and OCR technology) and avoided completely NEAT altogether. NEAT basically took advantage of the ground floor users, pursued their true goals of profiting massively after holding data hostage and are failing miserably because of it and I could not be happier. Stay away from these snake oil merchants unless you love self punishment and have expendable cash for their data extortion "upgrades".

Chuck,
We apologize for any frustration you may have encountered while using Neat. It seems like you are one of our Legacy users. When purchasing your scanner initially, Neat provided a software as a courtesy to keep you organized. We have since then retired the Legacy software and retired scanners as well. We have grown into a company that utilizes a cloud based software for the convenience of our customers.
When using the cloud based software, if your Computer crashes, you will have full access to all of your data from any browser at any time. Neat does NOT hold data hostage at all. With the legacy software, all data is stored within that software. We have multiple techs to help you retrieve the data on your computer as long as your hard drive is not completely wrecked. Its seems like our awesome support team has helped you within this process but we have sent you a message requesting your email address that is registered with Neat so we can take a look at your case history to make sure your issue was resolved completely.
With each subscription, we allow multiple benefits. The more benefits the customer has, the more the subscription will cost. I apologize that you are not enthused about the price of your subscription but if you would like, you can contact our support team at any time and we can have your account cancelled or discuss other subscription options with you as well. Also, a subscription plan is NOT mandatory to use with your neat scanner. Please access the link for more information: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/
A subscription is only necessary if you would like to store your data to the cloud based software. We even offer a desktop scan utility that is free of charge that you can locate here: https://scanutil.neat.com/

Once again, we apologize for the experience you may have encountered.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been a Neat user for many years, that ends today! Neat 5 was great. You could choose what was on Expense Reports, work offline and would adjust receipts scanned sizes for attachments; example adding 4 small receipts on to 1 page. New software does not even organize receipts by date on expense reports. As per Neat Tech Support this has been going on for 2 yrs. Future version will be completely "cloud" based. Charging an annual fee for a inferior product is criminal.

Jeffrey,

We do apologize for the feature that is currently unavailable. We are in the works of making many more updates to the product to provide the best service to our customers as possible. Our cloud based system has many benefits including being able to access all of your saved information on any browser at any time. Even if your computer were to crash, you would still have access to all of your documents while using the cloud based system. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we appreciate you choosing Neat!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I got NeatDesk for all the receipts and stuff that we have that need to be organized and filed. I use it at the end of the year for accountants, just for when we take in our income tax. I also use it a little bit for business cards. I wish it would work a little bit better with my Fuji scanner. But it works, just not perfect. But the customer service reps always solved the problem and always figured it out. Sometimes, the same problem comes back, but when I phone, they figure it out again.

D.Allan,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with our customer service agents. We do apologize that the product has been less than perfect but we are working on multiple updates to keep our customers happy. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My humble opinion and I believe the following: I spent a lot of money about $500 for the ND-1000 scanner and they were helpful in the past. Now it seems they could care less about you and want to push to seek their subscription using the excuse of the legacy software they don't support. I have wasted hours trying ON MY OWN without Neat support to get it running. What a terrible experience and I WILL NEVERRR BUY NEAT AGAIN. I will file complaints with the FTC, Attorney Generals office, US attorney generals office etc. You sold a product and it's not right you don't have support software for it!

John,

We currently do offer limited support for our most recently retired products. When taking a look at your case history with our team, we see that you are requesting the link to download our Legacy software. That software is no longer supported as you can see here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/. When purchasing your scanner, the software was provided as a courtesy along with your purchase. If you are still having issues with your scanner please reach out for support here: https://neat.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2917963-limited-legacy-support-faq

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have a lot of records and I wanted an electronic filing system so I got NeatDesk. I scan in receipts. I also did consulting for many years. So, I scan in my consulting work and I haven't been that happy with the product. When I first got it, the way it was set up was that you scan in documents. Since then, they've had a facility to scan in PDFs and whatever, but it hasn't really been well communicated. And so, I'm still scanning in page by page. At times if I have my consulting documents, I don't even bother using Neat. I just use Windows scanner because it's just too many pages to put in.

I also had an issue where the default was changed, so it wasn't combining documents. And so, even though I thought I was scanning in a whole document, it made it page by page. It's very hard to reach customer service. My Neat product is also not compatible on the new computer, and the files went to the Cloud. Part of the reason I wanted it was to have my documents on my desktop, not the Cloud so all in all, it really hasn't been a good experience.

Rochelle,
We greatly apologize that you have been dissatisfied with the product. You are in fact able to combine your items into one document for easier processing. You can take a look at this article here: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/change-separate-combine-processing/

The article further explains how to have the combined setting before scanning in your documents. If you ever do need help in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team at https://support.neat.com/

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We've been with The Neat Company for three months now. My son has a machine and I have a Brother DS-40 and we both felt that we could scan and get all our things in order. However, we don't use them and they're just gathering dust. But The Neat Company has good customer service.

Rosalie,
Thank you so much for leaving a great review! We really apprecaite the time that you have taken out. We are hapy to hear that you are pleased with our customer service.

Thank you for choosing The Neat Company!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I needed to save space and NeatDesk has done a very good job. I use the scanner and the storage six times a week, and I am satisfied with it.

Lenny,

Thank you for the great review! We greatly appreciate you choosing Neat! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the service

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My initial experience with The Neat Company wasn't very good way back. My son was recording his receipts and I bought the more expensive Neat Scanner. I installed everything but it never asked me for the number on the machine. I was supposed to get a year free. I paid $400 and some for the scanner with the thought that I would be getting $100 back on that. Also, I had a Mac and Neat was not compatible with it. I couldn't get messages back on the email or the chat and they would never respond to my notes. It was also very cumbersome to transfer what I scanned to a file because I scanned so much. And then it would cut off because I had too many scanned. And then we were gonna move so I quit keeping up with everything. I finally gave up.

I then moved for a second time, and I was gonna try to start scanning again. Coming back to The Neat Company after not doing anything with it for a year, they've been really helpful. I use the Neat scanner for personal home records and paid for a year's membership to try to figure stuff out. There must be some way I could scan and save it to Dropbox. Nevertheless, my recent talking with people at The Neat Company has been incredibly good and helpful.

Cheryl,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really appreciate feedback you have provided. We have tried very hard to improve the service with multiple updates to keep our customers happy! We are glad to hear that you have chosen Neat! Thank you again!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I saw some ads of The Neat Company years ago online and investigated it by checking out reviews. I decided that I would try it for a little while. At that time, I had a DJ business and I got interested in the organization and the elimination of paper. I was swamped with a lot of expenses that, at the end of the year, when I did my taxes, I had a shoebox that was completely stuffed with receipts, contracts and print-outs from the business. I had to go from one to three shoeboxes at one point in my career and I thought that if I could get rid of all the shoeboxes, my house would look a lot neater and I would fit back into my tiny office.

I use the NeatDesk every year and I use it particularly for any tax-related item. It also allows me to sort it out by category. I have an electronic checkbook where I can compare the two figures -- what isn’t in Neat would be in my checkbook, and vice-versa. This year, I added a folder that I called Family History and I came across some very old letters from the 1940s that my mother wrote to her father. I scanned those and I made a copy. When we travel, I take my computer with me and I also have been using my phone for the Neat Cloud on-the-go.

It would be very welcome, though, if The Neat Company would keep up with all the Mac changes, but they don’t. As a result, Neat is slow about that and when Mac went to High Sierra, it took them months and months. Neat developed a workaround rather than making the software compatible, particularly the Neat mobile scanner. There were so many problems with it that I had to call the NeatDesk and they had to take over my computer and do the little magic stuff there. And now, Mac has gone to a new operating system and I can’t upgrade to Mojave because I rely on the Neat, and it’s not compatible. The other problem is I bought a new HP printer, and it is not compatible with the Neat scanner. If I’m going to use the Neat system, I have to disconnect my printer in order to use Neat because it crashed the entire program.

It is a real pain in the behind to have to disconnect my printer to use Neat, not to be able to upgrade my software or my operating system, and stay behind the curve with the Mac system. It’s to the point that if I could find something that I didn’t have to do so many workarounds and it would do what Neat does, I would move to that almost immediately. In addition to that, I just received the up-pricing from Neat and I had to subscribe for another year to a higher price. I’m paying more money, but I don’t have something that is working the way it should work. I like the convenience and I like what Neat does, but if there’s another program that will work better with what I already have, then I’ll jump ship. I’ve been a Neat customer for a long time, but it’s something that I will do if Neat can’t keep up with the curve.

When Neat works, it works wonderfully and it does a great job, but you gotta be willing to submit yourself to pain and occasional calls to the tech service and try to work through everything that will make it work. If the modifications were made, I would be very satisfied overall with Neat, but without the modifications, I am very dissatisfied.

Less Holliday,

We genuinely apologize for the frustrating experience that you had with Neat. We have been actively working with Apple to keep up with the continuous updates so that our customers are satisfied.

We have recently received a driver that is currently in Beta that can be used with Mojave. If you would like to use the driver, you can find it here: https://support.neat.com/ . Please note, the driver is in BETA.

We also apologize for the price increase for your Neat Lite plan. We are working on upgrades, fixes and multiple new features that will improve the system even more which led to a price increase for all plans provided by The Neat Company.

Again, we do apologize for the issues you have experienced and we thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have had Neat for a long time. It has been 10 years or longer and it worked perfectly. It was so good and easy. All I had to do was push the paper in. The machine would grab it and scan it. It goes in the sorting system and I can go find it. I see where it goes then I name it. But in June, Neat told me my scanner was old and that they don't service it anymore. They said that there was something new and that I had to buy it. I bought it and for the whole year, I’m supposed to be getting service. But it is November now and I still can’t use the scanner. I've tried so many times but I’m having a hard time. When I scan something, I don’t know where to find it. Then there are so many different things. I don’t understand. I've sat on so many webinars, trying to get the training. They’re teaching you how to use the new stuff that they have but I can't get it.

Then last month, it was even worse. Neat said that when Apple updated their program, it became not compatible with the new upgrade that we have. Neat said that it's gonna take a while for them. But how long am I gonna wait? I am so frustrated. I have a brand new business. I have tax paper and I can’t scan anything. I have so much paper all over my house. I'm so pissed off. I have customers and teammates. When someone calls and they need information, I have to get it. I can’t go into the computer and pull it up. I've got to find it and waste some time. It's costing me money too. I have to pay somebody to come help me file all these papers.

When I call Neat, most of the time, I talk to someone from the Philippines and they're far away. I sat all day for a guy to come in to my computer, change over from the old system and put all my files in the new stuff. It took all day for so many days. Then when it was done, the name was not the same. I can't find stuff and some of them are not even there. I lost a whole lot of my records, particularly my medical records and that’s the one thing I’m pissed off about. I had put everything in the Neat because they said it would be safe and that the scan is on your computer. I had a CT scan in 2015 and they were seeing shadows. They told me that it was not cancer but I gotta go to the doctor every year. When my doctor asked me when was the last time I had a stress test, I couldn't remember. I knew it was on my computer but when I went in there and looked, I couldn't find it.

Erlene,

We do apologize for the frustration. We have had issues in the past with making the Neat Software compatible with updates by Apple. Currently we have a driver that is in BETA that has worked successfully with many of our customers that are using Mojave. We are still working with Apple directly to create a fix that will eliminate this issue from happening any longer. You can access the Beta driver here: http://retiredproducts.neat.com/

We see that you have an active plan with The Neat Company. We suggest reaching out for a 1 on 1 training with one of our well trained agents so that you can use your Neat software: https://support.neat.com/

Also when moving information over from our retired software to the new software that we offer it can take hours depending on how large your database is. We were able to see that your database was rather large so that would be the reason for the time that was taken to move your data over. Once again, we do apologize and appreciate that you have chosen Neat!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I knew I needed the NeatDesk when I saw the commercial advertising them and saw how they worked. I saw how they record things for your programs, download stuff for your business and kinda keeping track of everything. Those are basically all the paperwork that I have. My previous method was all paper and a calculator, so the NeatDesk is a lot better. I use it to download all my documents for my business and put them in categories to get ready for my taxes. Although I should use it weekly, I wait until all my paperwork builds up, about two months at a time, before I use it. The NeatDesk is a lot quicker and easier to use. It's also a lot easier to manage what you have on your documents and what you store on your documents, and keeps them running total of everything. If you've gotta look for something, it's right there. That makes it a lot simpler.

I have a lot of stuff on my Neat stuff. I had five years of my business files and taxes on there. Then one time I lost my hard drive on my computer and I had to get a new hard drive put it. A new hard drive was put in, but I never saved the files to the Neat Cloud like I do now. I thought what was saved on there when I saved it, was saved and I didn't do an offline back-up because I had no idea. That was my one little downfall. After going to a computer place and spending a couple of hundred dollars, I got all of my information back, but I could not open up that program. Then I had to call and I had to spend to get the program to get my files back. But the NeatDesk was what saved me because they were able to log in their remote access, and I've got close to almost 4G of all my files back.

Michael,

Thank you for writing a review! We are happy to hear that Neat is saving you time and keeping you organized with your business! Great to hear that you were able to recover so many files after your hard drive crashed. Like you stated, saving your documents in the cloud will prevent losing your data in the future. Thank you for choosing Neat and if you ever need any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out!

No response received
Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

A few weeks ago I started receiving notices that my cloud account, which I didn't even know I had, was past due. Those notices turned into threats. I finally talked to customer service and was told that I owed for a years subscription. I told the agent that I didn't know I even had an acct. When they checked for activity they saw the acct was not being used and told me that they saw there was no data in my account. I was then told that the account would be cancelled and the billing would cease. This was a few weeks ago, yet I continue to receive billing notices and threats of legal action. Originally I wasn't even informed they were trying to bill me until the outstanding balance notices started arriving.

Because I was told that everything would be taken care of, I forgot about it until today when I received a "Final" threatening letter which says they will also charge me $25/month for late fees. I then tried to research my acct but they have locked me out so I cannot gain access to any acct information. I wasn't interested in the data stored because I didn't use the service. I can understand they need to get paid for services rendered or products they provided, but they provided neither. I just wanted to let people know of their use of "Strong-arm" tactics and the non-existent online ability to communicate. If this problem is not resolved as it should be, I will post again.

Hi Greg,

As requested in a private message, we will need the email used for your Neat account in order to investigate this for you. The service provided includes unlimited cloud storage and easy access to the account and similar to your phone service, the subscription covers availability of service for billing period regardless of usage. After the account is cancelled as you requested then you no longer have access to it.

Once you provide the email for your Neat account in a private message, we'll make sure this is taken care of as promised by the agent you spoke with previously.

Thank you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased the Neat system in 2013, without purchasing the cloud service. I have always scanned my documents and scanned them on my computer and then save them to a flash drive. My computer’s hard drive crashed this week, preventing me from obtaining any information from the computer. I have a temporary computer with Windows 10, installed Neat, and there were no files when I connected my device to the pc. I called Neat for help. They did a screen share, and informed me that I had an older version and since I was not in the cloud the information would not appear on the new pc. It’s frustrating enough to have your computer crash, but now they said I could purchase an update to save everything onto the cloud and other devices but I could not retrieve any data from the current Neat system I currently have.

This seems very odd that there was no way to retrieve the information from the device I have been using for several years. I can spend money to save data but my previous data can’t be retrieved from the device I currently still own. This sounds like a way to make more money from people. You purchase the product and are forced to pay to use the cloud. I was able to save some info onto a flash drive but with technology today, I would think the data is still on my system but they just don’t want to retrieve it or maybe want you to pay a large amount to do it, not sure about this but very disappointed. Now I can’t even use the Neat system I currently own because it’s not updated, not the best way to treat your customers who actually enjoy and use your product.

Bobby Gibson,

We apologize for the experience you had and the misunderstanding. We can definitely assist in the retrieval process of data that is in your Legacy software. We will have an agent reach out to you directly for further assistance with the process. We suggest exporting the data to pdf once it is retrieved since we no longer support the legacy software and to avoid losing any data in the future. We apologize again and will work promptly in resolving the issue at hand. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

After using Neat hardware for many years with multiple devices. On 11/16/18 I noticed a pending charge on my bank account from Neat. I immediately contacted Neat to find out what it was. They stated the charge was for an automatic annual subscription for their service. I requested the service to be cancelled and the charge or a prorated amount be refunded. They cancelled the service and told me they would not be able to refund the charge because it was more than 30 days. I explained the charge was just presented today 11/16/18 and is still pending and their response was that it has been in their system for over 30 days.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, they refused but opened a case ** and submitted a refund request. On 11/18/18 the charge cleared and was paid. On 11/20/18 the refund request was denied. No refund has been issued nor has the service I didn't want been restored. After this experience I nor anyone I know will ever use their products or services again regardless of what products or services they offer now or in the future. Bad move on their part.

Christina,

We have taken a look at your case that you had open with our support team. A subscription was purchased for the amount of $64.94/year on 9/1/2017 and the subscription would renew on 9/1/2018. We attempted to collect the renewed payment of $64.94 on September 1, 2018, September 6, 2018, September 20, 2018, September 27, 2018, September 29, 2018, October 16, 2018, October 23, 2018 and October 30, 2018. The payment finally went through successfully on November 15, 2018. Since the payment was due on September 1, 2018, we could not issue a refund due to it being outside of our 30 day money back guarantee policy. We had to collect the payment for the services that were rendered. We also sent over multiple email notifications to your registered email address letting you know of the multiple payment failures.

Please take a look at our Terms and Conditions that were agreed upon setting up your account: https://support.neat.com/policies/terms-and-conditions/ and a supporting article that explains more into the charge that you received: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/charge-authorization-terms-conditions/ .

Also, your account is still accessible. We have not cancelled your subscription and you can still utilize the service for the duration of your plan. We apologize for any frustration this may have caused and if you would like any additional information regarding this matter, please send us a private message so your account information is not posted publicly.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My girlfriend got the NeatDesk and she told me that I needed one so I also got it, but it was probably one of the worst purchases that I have made. I only use it for household stuff like receipts and contracts. I just put all of my stuff in the slot and wait. Then when I get time, I would scan them. Since I don't use the NeatDesk so often, I would totally forget where the receipt or contract was. And then I would remember that it was in my Neat. But I really could have done without it.

I had an issue where The Neat Company triple charged me so I had to call them and complain. It took me a long time at first. I had to go through my credit card company and they finally ended up refunding me because Neat wouldn't. After all that got taken care of, I tried to reach out again because Neat did it again. Whoever I got a hold of took care of it and was extremely nice. I've had great customer service after about the first or second year that I had it.

Karen,
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review! We apologize for the situation you have encountered. We have attempted to locate previous cases regarding multiple charges to your account and we were unlucky in finding anything related to the situation you are describing. Could you please provide a case number or the email address that was used for your Neat account so we can further investigate and resolve the issue?

We are happy to hear that you have received great customer service and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I use my Neat scanner for my income tax, and I also have a lot of medical stuff that I scan into it. Neat said that it works as well as the receipts will work, and I can throw all the receipts that were a pain for me trying to keep up with. I end up putting all my receipts together and then doing it all at one time, so I use my scanner once a month. My son, daughter-in-law and I are fixing to start a business, and so we probably would be able to really use it then. I really like being able to have that organization, and at the end of the year, I print all the receipts out and give them to my accountant. It's so neat and nice.

Emma,

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy to hear that Neat is helping with the organization of the business you are going to start. Thank you so much for choosing The Neat Company!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My company bought one of the machines and the software was obsolete. We contacted the company. Never got the machine to work so just dropped it. Gave my credit card number and then thought it was over. This happened in January. They just charged me $119.99. I called them and they very nicely said that they would completely refunded. They said that an hour later they couldn't refund the money but they'll give me another subscription. I told him I didn't want this subscription and they basically told me, "Sorry that's all we'll give you." Total rip-off. I never was able to use the machine. It's been 11 months and then they charged me.

J Anthony,

We greatly apologize for the experience you had.

We have reviewed your account history and confirmed that there was never any request to cancel this NeatCloud plan prior to 10/31/2018.

We have also reviewed your case and call from 11/9/2018 and confirmed that the agent did in fact promise you a full refund.

That being said, we will go ahead and process a refund for you in the amount of $119.99.

We really do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please check you email shortly for confirmation and information on your refund.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I use NeatDesk every couple of weeks to scan receipts. I want to digitize them and make it easier for tax time. With NeatDesk, it's so much easier to search and find things rather than going through all the papers. Also, twice I've had to get support and NeatDesk has been very helpful. However, I'm not keen on their Cloud. It's a privacy issue. I don't know who in the Cloud is doing what. Also, sometimes I don't have a good internet connection and that can make things difficult. I would have preferred to have everything on my own computer backed up by myself and under my control but they eliminated that and on the new system, I didn't have any choice but the cloud. I'm getting used to the new system but I really liked the old one.

Jan,

Thank you for the feedback! We really appreciate the fact that you are enjoying the Neat Scanner along with the service. Even though we HIGHLY suggest utilizing the cloud for the multiple benefits such as always having access to your documents on any device and having your documents completely secure on the cloud, you are still able to utilize the Legacy software, you can do so here:

Please note, the Legacy Software is no longer supported and limited support is provided for the retired product.

You can also download the Desktop Scan utuility to your desktop here: http://scanutil.neat.com/ which is currently in Beta. If any additional assistance is needed, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Support Team!

Thank you for choosing the Neat Company!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I used Neat Company's desktop software, which I really, really loved. I would use it every day to keep track of and to sort out my bills into different categories for tax reporting. But they stopped supporting it and got it over to the Cloud which was such an ordeal. It was days and days and days and days of help from them. Th rep was never able to fully resolve the problem and I gave up after a week. Then I needed help, so then I went again and again, it was extremely time-consuming. But I got somebody who could help me and they really had to go through a lot to do it, so I appreciate that.

But now, I can't really use the software of the new version. It doesn't function the same way, so I have to figure out how to get up to speed or find somebody who can teach me or find a new software. It has been much harder for me. First, it took so long to transfer the data, so it really put me behind on my work. And now that it's there, it seems to still not be working correctly. So, I can't transfer digital PDFs. I'm hiring somebody, a computer person, to come and help me to see if we can get it working again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I contacted Neat's obsolete software line after buying a new computer with Windows 10 install on it. After no less than 4 calls, installing new software that they directed me to load I still cannot get it working because they will not allow it to complete the install after contacting the server to register the new software which is the same problem I had with the old software. Neat acknowledges that I was a user in the past but the last call they wanted me to sign up for a free trial of course with my CC so I can have a subscription to get my software working again.

This is just a blatant attempt to move you on to the Cloud service and collect a monthly fee for a software I have already paid for. They are holding my data hostage. But at least I can start my old computer up and covert my files to PDF and get it off their software. I have bought a new scanner from Xerox and will never buy anything from Neat again. Just feel sorry for those who I have read about that can't get the data off the old machine. Don't buy for the Company! I think a class action lawsuit should be undertaken on this Company! And I don't take that tact ever. Good luck with moving all the people over to the Cloud.

Hi Larry,

We're sorry to hear you had so much trouble installing the retired software in Windows 10. You should be able to skip signing in with the retired software and still see any data on the local Neat database on that computer. We certainly do not hold any data hostage. If you can send a private response with the email you used previously for your Neat account we'll be happy to take a closer look at that for you.

You're also free to keep using the retired software if you do not wish to use Neat's cloud service and can also continue using your scanner without the software. See this help article for details:

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I purchased NeatDesk several years ago and used it for my income taxes. I have a very small business and so I would take the receipts and put them in every three or four months. I had done about half of my receipts, and then things fell apart, my husband passed away last fall. I always do the taxes at that time and I forgot again to trying to complete and get the receipts done. I went back to Neat and I found out that they changed the program. I struggled with it for a little bit, and I called their customer service. It's $15 now for a program every month. They said they sent some notices on it, but I didn't receive them. They did the best they could. They were nice and they tried, and there was one guy that worked several hours trying to help me out but it didn't work.

It really caused a lot of confusion for me and I didn't appreciate having to pay a portion of it that I didn't need. Also, their service is doing some sort of organization on this program to help organize and check the accuracy of the entrance of your receipt. I ended up having to go back over the receipts by hand and redo my taxes at the very last minute and gave them to the accountant. Up until that time till they changed the program, everything went smoothly for me. All I had to do was enter the receipts, and they were pretty well-organized, press the button, and I would get my receipts, the total would be ready to the accountant. But this year was a mess.

Apparently, the scanner system and the way they scan changed, and the little scanner that I have no longer works in this program. I stay busy constantly, I don't have time to deal with a lot of changes and upsets, and going back to buy another scanner or figure out how they input now is something that's a big pain to me right now. With coming up here to end the year and I have this year's receipt, there's nowhere to scan them in. I'm disappointed in it.

Janet,

We apologize for the experience that you had in regards to your Neat Scanner. There are other plans that are offered if you do not feel the need to pay $15/month for your current subscription. Please refer to this link for our plan options: https://www.neat.com/plans-pricing/

If you find that the options are not a good fit for you, please refer to the below links for additional infomrtaion on how to use your scannner without a plan with The Neat Company.

We also provide a Desktop Scan Utility which is free to use here - http://scanutil.neat.com/

When taking a look at your case we realized that your scanner was set up successfully and connected to your computer. We will have a customer reach out to you in regards to setting up a phone call to provide additional support.

We do apologize for your experience and Thank you for choosing the Neat Company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I needed to do about a year and a half of scanning all at once. I was doing it all and I wanted to try the automatic aspect of Neat. I already had a year’s worth of scans so I imported a lot of them. Neat gets things right, but some of the times it gets confused. I wish it could define a document type and just have it know that from now on, so I didn’t have to continue to sort through it. I haven't used it as much in the last two months because it doesn’t recognize some of my time-keeping documents as what they are. So, I'm just scanning everything and letting it build up. I'm not using it to populate spreadsheets because of the unreliable aspect of the non-receipt documents. Everything needs to be looked at directly to confirm, but it's still worth it because of some of the time being right is better than me having to look at every single document.

I needed to figure out how to use Neat the way I was trying to use it, and their reps don’t understand fully that users are not going to use different paths based on what kind of person they are. I had someone, too many times, tell me that I just needed to use this other software, which I perceived as being what I had already switched to using. Also, prior to using Neat, I used the CamScanner. When I adjusted my drag to drag the borders around my scanned document, CamScanner had a little circle that pops up and says, “Zoom in into the corner,” that lets me get it exactly where I wanted it to be, and Neat does not have this little zoom. Nonetheless, I'm happy with Neat.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your feedback and review, Tim. We don't currently have an item type specifically for time cards or other time-keeping documents but that is something we can add to our list of requested features for future updates. In the meantime, your best option would likely be to classify them simply as documents.

We are also addressing your scanning concern very soon with a free scan utility that includes the option to crop, rotate, and skew your scans prior to sending them into Neat so you can focus on exactly what you want to capture in your scanned images. We hope you enjoy that when it is released in the very near future.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I had a problem with the first program that Neat put out, they ended it and I had a tough time getting all of the stuff back that I needed. I contacted customer service and they downloaded what they could off the program for me but I didn't get everything. I went back with them, I'm now on their Cloud, and it's serving the purpose of saving paper. What I'm using it for right now, if I can't recover some of the stuff, that might not be a problem. Neat helped me for a long period of time but they need to make sure that everything is recoverable if they decide to end the program.

Joseph,

We appreciate the honest review you have left. The information that you had previously in the software can be sent over to the cloud. All prior documents can be recovered and placed within the cloud. Please refer to the links below for further assistance with the task

Help Center - https://support.neat.com/

Please use the following link to schedule a 1:1 with an agent as well - https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/11-08-2018

Thank you for choosing The Neat Company!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

There should be a law against this. One day you buy an expensive scanner. You never expect that although the hardware is in perfect condition that you can use it with your laptop since Neat decides to drop the software. The download was removed from their website & the disk that came with it requires connecting to their website for something to finalize the install. That doesn't work now. It used to work perfectly fine. No warning, no notice, just gone & now worthless. You can't get to tech support unless you are paying for their cloud premium. It's a vicious circle. The company should be penalized.

Worse, I have my IRS Supporting docs in this Neat database that I have backup religiously, yet it is TOTALLY NOT Accessible because they are preventing us from using what we paid for. Where are the attorneys or federal agencies or can we complain to? I love, loved this product!!! I now hate NEAT!! NEVER BUY FROM NEAT!! NEAT should be forced to put in big letters on all of their packaging "THIS PRODUCT EXPIRES IN X YEARS BECAUSE WE WILL MAKE IT UNUSABLE".

EBAY is selling all these scanners that work fine from a hardware view but you will never get anything to your pc. So if you see these sold or any NEAT product help us get the word out so others won’t be SCAMMED like several of us on here are. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/document-scanners/neat.html. (This is not due to any Windows upgrade. I went back to an older pc & Windows 7 which it used to run on & it won't install there either due to one of the steps in the wizard requires something from the website to proceed. Tech Support has been no help).

Lucinda,

We do apologize for any frustration. One of our technical support agents will be contacting you to assist in retrieving your important data from Neat so you will continue to have access to it.

You can still use your Neat scanner and we provide detailed steps on how to use it without the Neat software if you're not interested in purchasing a Neat cloud account. Please see this for how-to steps:

We retired the previous software over 2 years ago and have publicly announced it ever since then while continuing to provide support until earlier this year. We also provided a detailed FAQ regarding the retired software that has been updated throughout the year and can be seen here:

We have done absolutely nothing to prevent you from installing Neat software on any computer and there are many users who are still using and installing the retired versions of Neat without issue.

You may need to try some of the steps posted on our site to get past a specific error installing on your computer. Hopefully, the following will be of help to you:

as well as

In addition, there is still time to contact our retired software team at 855-910-NEAT for limited assistance with the retired products.

The Neat Company expert review by Shelley Elmblad

The Neat Company makes scanners and software for individuals and businesses that can help with organization and management. Their products are available at national retailers, including Staples, BestBuy and OfficeMax.

• Affiliate program: Earn a small commission when you refer sales to neat.com when you put their link on your website. Find out more by visiting Neat’s website.

• Free trial: Individuals and businesses can enjoy a free trial of Neat’s premium software in two ways. They can either try the software free for 30 days or receive a full year of Premium software for free when they buy a Neat scanner. Neat scanners come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Neat scanner bundles: Neat offers several scanner bundling options that all include one year of Neat Premium Software. Choose from NeatReceipts , NeatDesk and NeatConnect.

• Industry focus: Neat scanners and software are helpful for many industries, but they have specific solutions for accounting, construction, legal, real estate, insurance and small businesses.

• Everywhere access: Neat’s software is available on all of your devices, thanks to their mobile and tablet app. You can also log into cloud.neat.com for full access and sharing capabilities of your files.

• Best for: Small business owners, payroll departments and independent contractors.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

The Neat Company Company Information