Hello Roger,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we appreciate your feedback! After reviewing the case, it looks
like your data folder was stored in your One Drive folder. This could have been why your data became corrupted. For more info:

www.neat.com/helpcenter/supported-database-locations/.

For the trouble you have experienced, your cloud plan has been extended for one extra year. Your new Neat Cloud expiration

date is 9/7/2018.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I had bought an older version of The NeatDesk before. Now, I wanted to get rid of paper so I got the Neat scanner. Using it lets me view a lot of things for one particular supplier or vendor without having to have the file folder in front me. I can look at it online. I had a version 5 then I upgraded to the last one where I can hook up to the cloud. But the conversion was terrible. I spent hours with one of their tech guys who was super and helpful but in the end, all of my files got corrupted. I had to go back and rescan everything. Fortunately, I had not shredded the stuff that I had before or I would have had nothing.

It's a traumatic example that the new system is not as easy as the old one. I find it to be a little slower, too. I've done conversions from one computer system to another before but this is beyond terrible. When I'm going from a Neat program to a Neat program, it should fly. I was going from my computer to a Cloud environment and there should be something there to automatically interface it. I had to take a shot in the dark on buying what I bought because of emails I got from Neat. We did a computer update from Microsoft that’s got a store not far from here. Their guys were looking at those emails and scratching their heads saying they can't tell what Neat wanted done in my computer either.

I also don’t like that unless I'm a subscriber, I can't get to anybody. The only way I was able to get to somebody when I was looking for a system-quick general information was after I bought the new version. That's not customer service. I like the program and they got a good product. I might get into the reports sometime though right now, I don’t need it. It's just that the conversion issue wasted a lot of my time. If they wanna give me a couple of years' free subscription due to that, I'd definitely take it.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience! If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I was on tour and our store manager used NeatDesk to do all the receipts. And because I’m on the road, it was so convenient. I have to record every expense for the tour and since I’m constantly on the go, it’s better to scan them and get them an electronic copy as soon as possible. I do it every day. I use the business cards as well. It’s great that NeatDesk streamlines everything, and it makes it a lot easier to knock it out and get it to the accountants that I need to. I also use the NeatCloud on the go and I like how easy it is. If I really stack up my web case, then I scan on my phone and get something done if a runner brings it to me after. I'd definitely recommend The Neat Company.

Hi Barbara,

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I have a Neat Desk Scanner AND a mobile scanner - Love them both - I scan all sorts of info into my computer so I can dispose of the paper in a shredder. This way I can store all my tax receipts in the computer with less bulk. A recent computer glitch resulted in a new computer and a transfer to the Neat Cloud Software. And a need for tech support from Neat. They were wonderful about making time for my problems. I love Neat - (wait for it) they are NEAT!

Hi Charles,

We're really glad to hear that! We are working on making our Community site as useful as possible, so it's great to know it was so helpful for you. Please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I had a new issue of my program not loading. I tried reloading the program (as it suggested) and it still did not work. I rebooted the computer several times and still the program would not load. I went to the Community Forum, entered the error message and the topic popped up. Not only that, the information posted was CORRECT and WORKED the first time! Having had such a positive result, I then tried another error message, where after loading the program, it had a scan that would not finish processing. I entered the error message and again I was delighted to find the topic, the solution and immediate resolution of this second error.

I have never had luck with community forums in the past. This was an absolute delight! Thank you!

Hello Sharon,

Thank you for your honest feedback! We always like to hear about our customer's perspective regarding their experience with Neat. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I was having a paper war and the paper had declared victory so I needed a scanner. I've always had a habit of keeping my receipts since I was young so my Neat Desk has been helping me with that and it has proven to be very useful in helping me learn how to do my taxes instead of relying solely on my accountant. I can get numbers for my accountant to gather easily. It has been helping me with all of my paper trails because when I first got it, I didn't know how to save everything so I just printed everything out. But I'm learning slowly. I have a stack of papers and now it saves to the Cloud. I have caught up with all of my papers and I'm so excited since next year will be my first year where I don't have to try to find a place for all of them. I love the machine and anybody in sales or who has to have a report of receipts needs it.

Hello Helen,

Thank you for your feedback! We are always working on improving our software and NeatCloud! Many improvements in the software have come from customer suggestions like yours. Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I run a small business and I do a lot of scanning. I use my Neat scanner every day for checks I've received from customers, then I sort them by month. I put in my merchant service, which is people we run credit cards on and I put them in by month. I use it for my database of customers and a few different things. I like the idea that I can go right into the Neat and pick up all the stuff I need to look in. I like that it sorts and that I'm able to keep track of what's coming in and going out. I also have the Neat Cloud because if I were to lose this information, I'm not keeping paper copies anymore. I find it very convenient that I can always get it back from the cloud. I like Neat overall, other than the fact that I can't sort them into the way that I want them sorted. You can't change them. I have invoices that I want to go in and put the name of the person, the date, and the date on the receipt, but Neat has it as the date you scan it.

Hi Rand,

We appreciate your honest feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I have a small business and lots of documentation in terms of research that can only get in printed form that I needed to convert to digital form. I also had lots of experiential games that I've created that had to be imported into digital format. I use NeatDesk for maintenance of my business records so that I can produce them if needed and for tax purposes - once a week for occasional stuff, then once a month for heavy-duty copying of receipts for tax categorization and documents that I've received in printed form to get them in digital form so I can distribute them. It's a lot easier and faster to summarize a report, find errors and recording of the information. It saves me time. I also signed up for the NeatCloud, though I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

The platform has changed a couple of times and getting from one software to the next has been relatively smooth until the invention of Windows 10 when it was upgraded. Then I had a major system problem and I had to wipe my desk clean. The documentation they have online for those kinds of situations isn't easy to find and I wound up going to the help desk. It worked out great the first time I went through this issue, but now I'm stuck. I still have all my old files, but I can't get them imported yet. I've gone through hell trying to capture all of my records of work and get them into the new software for two or three weeks now. But under most usual circumstances, the software and the scanner works great. I have replaced parts which worked great so I'm really pleased. The cost to performance of the scanner is really good.

Hi Francis,

Thank you for the feedback. We are always happy to hear how our customers are doing and what their experience with Neat has been like.

If you have questions, or need additional assistance with the Neat legacy software, you can interact with other users at our Neat Legacy Community forum located here: https://neat.desk.com/

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I saw all the paper clutter and decided to do something about it. I have the Neat scanner and the portable version for a couple of years now. I use them once a week, using mostly the scanner feature and the one that puts things into folders. Using NeatDesk clears up a lot of my clutter. If I want to look at what charitable contributions I made, I can just go to that folder and look at the document. Moreover I find The Neat Company to be exceptional in customer service and in helping me with a problem. It's a good organization with a good product. I only wish that they make it a little easier on old people like me to be able to access and find out about how to do other things on Neat.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for commenting and we appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

I use my NeatDesk three times a month. I use it mostly for a combination of scanning receipts and documents that I want to save to a PDF onto my computer. Since using NeatDesk, I've been able to combine computerized documents and PDFs in the same files easily because of its rapid ability to scan. I have used the NeatCloud on the go, however, it is blocked by my work's firewall. Therefore, I can only use it from home, which limits its utility to me. NeatDesk has strong organization tools and rapid scanning ability, though some features are non-intuitive. There are two main issues that I've noticed. First, it jams more frequently than I would like it to, though the jams are easy to fix, and second, it has some problems with very small receipts. Overall, I'm happy with NeatDesk.

Hi Christopher,

We appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

About three years ago, I was up in New England and I decided that I wanted to scan everything and have it all ready for tax purposes. I've got a couple of properties, so I want to have an electronic file of this stuff and not have a ton of paper around the house. I didn't want to scan everything, I wanted to just have electronic files of insurance policies to reduce my files. I got NeatDesk and so far, I'm very happy with it. I use it twice a month and I'm just getting back into it. I had a tutorial from a person over in the Philippines who was very helpful. I now have the tools I need to get back into it and start using it more often. I'd also love to have a manual of it.

Hi Perry,

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I've been using NeatDesk for a couple of years to do expense reports but now it's more to scan something. It's easy to find things with it since I could pull it up from anywhere. The NeatCloud works. My only dislike is the cost. For my circumstances right now, it's $15 a month, and I'm not using it often enough to make that worthwhile. They have very good support, though. When I needed support in the past, they've been there to help me recover some data.

Hi William,

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I've had NeatDesk for quite a few years. I'm the vice-president of an alumni association, and I was able to keep up with the members and all of our expenses. However, when I go to "Go to Neat", it says I have no support service. I was using it pretty much every day until I ran into this problem when I switched over to Windows 10, and I can't get it to work right. When I called, they said I have no support, and I can't get a hold of anybody that can help me with it.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for commenting, as we appreciate your candid feedback. We always like to hear the customer perspective on regarding their experience with Neat. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, be sure to let us know.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I've had the NeatDesk for so many years and I use it every year. I use the scanning feature the most and I use it for reports. NeatDesk has made my taxes so much easier. When it works, it works great, but when it doesn't, it's not so great. But overall, I've had a very good experience with it.

The Neat Company

Glad to hear it, Rand. Please let us know if we can assist you in the future and we will be happy to help!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I have an older scanner and was able to get parts that makes it run like new. Had some trouble installing Windows 10 and then getting Neat Database to find my data. Support team was fantastic in pointing me in the right direction! Now have an almost new scanner, with much faster software! I am a happy camper!

I purchased my Neat scanner, model NM-1000 about 2 years ago. Worked OK but then the company started lagging on Mac software updates and the thing became less efficient. You'd have to unplug and re-plug in your scanner multiple times just to get it to operate properly. This past weekend of May 13 & 14 2017, I see an email from The Neat Company about their scanners: An apology for the slowness in updating their Mac compatibility and the link to new drivers. GREAT.

I download and suddenly I CANNOT USE MY OWN SCANNER - hardware I purchased for several $$ from the Neat Company -- UNLESS I PAY A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE. There is no way to undo the software update and my personal favorite: NO WAY to get technical support or talk to any live human of ANY KIND - even if I DID want to be extorted for a "Monthly Service Fee," which I do NOT. TERRIBLE IDEA, "Neat Company." You lost a customer and from the looks of the online comments and reviews, several thousand more. WOW! Are you taking lessons in how to kill your company from United Airlines??

Hi Teri,

We are very sorry for any trouble. We have reviewed your case - it looks like the agent working with you has sent a reply. Please check your inbox and spam folder for the case update.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 15, 2017

I have been using Neat receipt machines for at least 5 years, and when I finally have an issue that needs resolving, customer support is nonexistent. My newest machine is only 2 years old, and when I called support and emailed several times I have yet to receive a single word of help. I have been paying fees to be subscribed to their iCloud service, and I still spent half hour waiting on support. When I finally got through they asked me to make a "case file online" and hung up on me, which I already had made several case files.

I purchased a Neat scanner in 2011. I recently lost the application installation on my PC. I reinstalled from the CD that came with the scanner. However it was old software which I had updated for free in subsequent years. I tried to update it again from the Neat website only to be notified that the program was no longer supported. That, I had to purchase a membership for $7.99/month to get support. This was not part of my agreement when I purchased this equipment in 2011. Now I am using old software that cannot read my backups that had been created with the upgrade. Essentially I have been rendered powerless to access my data. This issue needs a class action suit initiated.

Hi Charmaine,

We appreciate your patience with this issue. If you have any further questions, or if you have any concerns, please let us know.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Purchased scanner and syncing files. Would like to wait until job is completed. Very long process and basically taken over my life the last week. Agent is great but feel more able to critic once task is finished and I am able to use the system.

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for your patience with this issue. We will review your case and have the agent reach back out to you as soon as possible.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Dolly was wonderful and very helpful. However when the final fix was started on Friday at 9:00 am, my computer ran 24 hours a day til it froze on Monday at 12:38 am. Never finished the fix. No words to describe the mess. Trying to reach Dolly so she can finish fix. No way to reach her. Please have her call me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Hello Frank,

We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration.

We are here to assist you, but please note, live phone support is reserved for customers with active Neat Premium or Business software plans. You do not have any active support plans or cloud plans on your account.

The Neat Premium and Business software plans comes with unlimited agent assisted phone support for the duration of the subscription.

To learn more about which plan you would benefit most from, please visit the links provided below which outlines the advantages of both plans. You may purchase the plan that suits your needs from either link provided:

Alternatively, to obtain support, you can email us at support@neat.com. Please keep in mind that the Legacy Neat software is no longer supported. If you are seeking help for any of the Legacy software versions, you will be forwarded to the Legacy Community for assistance. (https://neat.desk.com/)

Original review: May 9, 2017

The account will not allow me to log in so I can not go to my account and all of the phone numbers loop you back and disconnect. When I tried to create a case file when I finished the system will not accept Safari and you are told to resubmit the case. I have a new scanner ND1000 but can't use it because is available to correct the problem. If I had known that the support for this company was so poor I would have purchased a different scanner. I have spent 3 hours to correct this without any assistance.

Hello Michael,

We certainly apologize for any frustration.

You were charged on 5/8/2017 because you signed up for a 30 day trial on 4/8/2017. When you signed up for the trial you entered your creidt card information and agreed to the future trial conversion and billing. We even sent you an email on 5/3/2017 about the upcoming billing and since we did not receive a cancellation request, you were charged for the annual plan.

We see that a refund and cancellation has already been processed for you and an email has been sent via case 609992 as notification.

The plan you were billed for was a annual plan, therefore, it wouldn't attempt to bill you again until 5/8/2018. However, if you are still seeing pending charges, then perhaps you opened more than one account. If so, then we would need to also cancel those accounts to prevent any further charges. Can you please provide us with the last four digits of the card with the attempted billing, in a private message, so we can see if we need to close any other accounts for you?

Original review: May 9, 2017

I wish I could give them 0 stars because that would be the appropriate rating. Not only do they not provide any support anymore for any of the software they sell, but when you do reach a live person, (which can take 20 phone calls and 3 hours on hold) they can't help you with anything. We cancelled our service 60 days before our billing cycle ended. They still charged us for another year. I'm not sure how many hours I wasted on the phone attempting to get my company's money back before I gave up. I ended up filing a fraudulent complaint with our bank and putting a stop payment on the merchant. Since then they have attempted 3 more times to charge our account. This is beyond unacceptable. Companies like this don't deserve to be in business at all.

Hello Colin,

We certainly apologize for your frustration and for any confusion.

You absolutely do NOT have to purchase a subscription to continue to use your product. You can continue using your current legacy platforms with out the cloud.

Please keep in mind though, that there will be no more enhancements or future developments to these versions. In addition, Legacy versions of Neat are no longer qualified for agent assisted support. You can seek support for these versions from our Legacy Community site.

We realize that this change may be a disappointment to some, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely.

We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance the Neat experience to allow you, our loyal users, to work more efficiently.

For more information about our switch to the cloud-powered software, please visit our Neat Help Center:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 8, 2017

There needs to be a class action lawsuit brought against these people. Who buys a product and uses it for three years to be told that they now need a subscription in order to continue using it. They must have hired Bernie Madoff to create their new business ethics model. Subscription service three years after purchase. You're kidding?

Hi James,

That's great to hear! If you have any questions about your Neat software or scanner, please let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 5, 2017

I've been using The Neat Company’s scanner products for the last 10 years. A colleague recommended them to me. I do my expense reports through NeatDesk. I typically export everything to Excel and then do what I need to. I've recommended them to a number of people.

Factual basis uncertain

First when I got the receipt scanner, the scanner was rarely found from my computer which was solved by calling the tech support who updated the scanner driver. Second, when purchasing I was mislead to have a program for your receipts stored in my computer however it's online. Third, you think that you can use the scanner and program for all future purpose, but you have to pay a yearly fee which is more than the purchase price.

Hi Patricia,

We appreciate your feedback and have reviewed your communication with our support agent. Our apologies as we can see the agent could have done a better job in communicate what needs to be done in order to assist you with your issue. We will most certainly provide additional coaching to ensure the agent understand how to better serve our customer-base.

We would like to further assist you with migrating your data to the latest version of the Neat cloud-powered software, if possible. We will be reaching out to you at the same email address/telephone number we have on file to answer any questions you might have and assist in resolving your issue.

Thank you for your time, and have a great day!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I probably was one of the very first customers to purchase the Neat scanner and online subscription service many years ago as they were first starting out. I've spent the last several years weeding through paper files discarding and finally becoming totally digital which is a great feeling. What's not so great is getting short answers, directed to supposed "inks links" without any guidance.

Online Customer Service today couldn't even finish their sentence structure before sending me a link and ending the chat session without waiting for my confirmation on leaving the chat session. I'm really sorry that I invested so much time and effort with this company that I'm so far in with my digital documents, that I have no choice but to complain and hope that someone will take the time to guide me through correcting my synching issue. If you're brand new to digitizing your files... I think I'd look to another process. Nothing but total frustrating and hours upon hours trying to read between the lines of pages of online support.

Hi Valetta,

You may continue using Neat's legacy desktop software if you wish, this version does not require a subscription plan and has all the feature you are familiar with. Neat will not be releasing any updates or software bug fixes for this legacy version, but many of our customers are happy continuing to use this version and making use of our customer supported legacy desktop community group if they need support or have questions. Please visit the following link to find out more! https://neat.desk.com/

Original review: May 3, 2017

I purchased a NEAT desktop scanner for $300 a few years ago and am happy with it. I was told I have to upgrade or not be able to use my scanner. I upgraded and they now tell me I have to pay almost $100 or I can not use my scanner. I tried to uninstall the upgrade but it removed my original version. When you try to speak to their live chat it is a computer that continues to tell you, you will be charged if you continue to use their scanner & there is NO TELEPHONE support. This is NOT what I signed up for nor wanted. I want to scan and save to my desktop only. I don't want Cloud, compatible apps, any bells or whistles. The scanner I purchased NEVER mentioned it was for limited use before you have to start paying to use it.

Hello Lisa,

We certainly apologize for any inconvenience or frustration.

Many of the features you have listed here are on a list of features to be added to the software in the future.

The QuickBooks Desktop integration is currently in beta testing and we would be more than happy to set you up with a free trial of the QuickBooks Desktop beta. If you are interested in the beta, then please let us know so we can follow up with you.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I have been a subscriber since July 2015. Absolutely fell in love with this product and how it worked with Quickbooks Desktop. However, this year Neat informed that I needed to upgrade as the old version would not be supported and I would no longer receive updates. Little did they tell me that the new version does not integrate with Quickbooks Desktop at this time. So it has double my input work.

There are some features that were totally taken away. You can no longer zoom in on the image to verify the scan. You can no longer edit your vendor lists and category lists. The "Show Me" icon in the bottom right stays there and covers up the bottom right your image. This new product was certainly not beta tested by current users and is truly a disappointment. Customer Service agents are very nice and have promised to pass on my issues to the developers. So for now double entry and keeping and using paper copies. Nothing like the original product. Disappointing.

Hi Robert,

That's great to hear! We will make sure Justin gets your feedback. If you have any other questions, or if you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I'd like to take this opportunity to state how wonderful the experience was dealing with The Neat Company's technical support specifically Justin **. He was extremely knowledgeable, was able to fix my issues immediately and the ones he was not he was able to email me a step-by-step procedure to do what I wish to do which was not a common thing for their software to achieve.

Hello Barbara,

We certainly apologize for any inconvenience or frustration.

NeatCare Premium and Business customers have unlimited agent assisted phone and chat support. ALL customers are qualified to open a support ticket with technical support via email for assistance. http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Support would have been able to assist you with your email address issue, however we were unable to locate any history in which you reached out to support for assistance.

If you are interested in trying Neat out again in the future, we would be more than happy to assist you with the setup. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Original review: May 2, 2017

NeatDesk is more problems than it is worth. I sold my NeatDesk to someone else because I was not using it. The hours and problems arising were quite ridiculous. The person could not access the desktop software because it kept indicating that it does not appear he had an active subscription and would not let you go further. Then, wondering if something went wrong in the setup, tried to create a new account. But, NEAT does not allow you to change the email address. That email address once used cannot be deleted so you can create a new account.

You must use another email address and start another account as though email addresses were something you had multiples of. In the end, the machine was returned. More problems than it is worth. Then, after creating this difficulty, NEAT wants to charge you $75.00 for their assistance in getting you to figure out the mess they created in the first place. No thanks. This is not user-friendly and more trouble than it is worth.

Hi Ryan,

Sorry for any trouble. We'd like to review your recent case history to see if we can resolve the issue for you. We haven't been able to locate a recent case under your name or email address - can you provide us with the email address or case number you used on the case?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 1, 2017

Tech Support here is pathetic. They con users into upgrading to Cloud based money grab solutions and can't even do a simple conversion from 5.7 to Cloud without botching it up and leaving you without 5 months of scans and trashing the database attempting to fix it. Neat Doesn't confirm good Database backup exists on Desktop and starts to delete folders without making sure. Neat Support Can't even read the words "this will delete your files on the cloud and desktop" but proceeds forward anyway and tells the customer it will only be deleted on the Cloud - flat out lies.

Doesn't actually have solutions. Just tries to fix the issue by causing more issues trial and error attempts. They send you "email how to and don't actually offer to connect to your PC without asking them to. Wants users to fix software which isn't even close to being able to be diagnosed or fixed without a developer handy. Worst software company on planet Earth. Hardware is garbage too. Software locks up constantly creating errors and hangs all the time with plenty of CPU Ram etc. Doesn't matter What OS either. Completely unacceptable cloud solution where you would think they would have included some kind of SYNC migration tool or something to ease the process instead included in 5.7 but nope. It's just a money grab worthless attempt to con users into believing paying 250 dollars a year is going to make everything better and run smoother. WRONG! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Hi Michele,

Sorry for any trouble. We are not aware of any issues with our scanners specific to Windows 10. Please visit our Legacy Support Community at https://neat.desk.com/, or create a case at http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/, for assistance with this issue.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Everything was going well until the upgraded to Windows 10, now Neat no longer works correctly. So you go online to try and fix this, and you now must upgrade to a cloud based system... NOTHING BUT CRAP!!! I have no interest in putting ANYTHING in the "cloud". Great name for a server somewhere... Who knows where??? India... Japan?? Netherlands? NO THANK YOU. I want my information with me. Neat needs to get a solution for a driver that works with Windows 10. We paid for software to work on a computer... when you purchase a bike, car, radio, phone, etc. and for instance upgrade the tires, it doesn't mean your car no longer works... geez guys... so many BAD REVIEWS ON HERE... PLEASE GET THIS FIXED.

Hi Mariya,

We're sorry for any trouble, and we understand if you are frustrated. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our Cloud service, so we appreciate the feedback. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: April 30, 2017

A lot of people here complain about the fact that it suddenly became a subscription-based program — totally agree with them. But I am one of those weirdos who appreciates a good program and I started paying, not to lose the convenience and routine. But after one year of payments, I open the program and guess what — It doesn't support the old Neat file format ndx, i.e. No way to import an old file into the new software!!! What I did: I found the old software, installed it, imported the file, paired it with the Cloud, uninstalled old, installed new software and paired it with Cloud. Hooray for the ease of life brought by Cloud (<- sarcasm).

It might not be a big deal — It is a one-time thing after all. What is a big deal is the fact that all those features that made the old software very convenient and outstanding... all gone. This is now a very mediocre tool without much use. In addition, it has one BIG flaw: you can't use if offline. I did a major work of scanning and planned to sort through those during a long flight. Guess what — You can't edit anything if you are not connected to the Cloud. Why? I guess a post-facto sync is too big of a trouble for Neat programmers. Anyhow, I am finishing my work now and dropping this software. They didn't lose me on a cheap shift to subscription. But they definitely lost me on inferior software with a diminished feature list.

They make you sign up for an $80 - $250 a year subscription plan to download and use their software to scan your documents. The plan automatically renews. They shouldn't make you pay for their software on a monthly or yearly basis. This is absurd when you just want to scan your documents and move on.

Hello Harold,

We apologize for any frustration.

Unfortunatley, we do not sell any replacement parts, however if your scanner is under the warranty period we would be more than happy to replace the entire scanner for you by shipping you a new one. Warranty policy: http://www.neat.com/support/warranties/

To determine your eligibility for a replacement under the warranty please provide the following information:

Full Name:

Shipping Address (Non PO box):

Phone number:

Model number (M/N) of the scanner (found on the bottom):

Serial number (S/N) of the scanner:

Date and location of purchase:

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 28, 2017

My Neat scanner has a scuffed transparent protector over the lens and now has a dark streak every time I scan. I've looked for parts everywhere but I don't see any replacement parts? Why don't you sell replacement parts?

Hi Travis,

We appreciate your feedback. Our apologies for the initial challenges attempting to get Neat, but certainly happy you received the support you did. We will absolutely make sure the agent you work with get recognized for a job well done! Have a great day!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I needed a scanner and I found Neat scanner online at our local office supply company and ended up buying it. I use the Neat Scanner mostly to scan documents and store them in the computer. The scanner will scan to the Cloud. However, I had a problem with my scanner and I wasn't happy at first, but their customer service team went the extra mile to make sure they'd fix the problem and sent me a new scanner. Great customer service.

I bought this scanner several years ago to use at my own leisure to scan documents of all sorts in order to clear up paper from my desk/files/etc. Since I haven't used it in a little while, I decided to try and download the latest software only to find out that I now need to pay for what I've already paid for from the box, updated software. I understand the cloud based service, but it's not something I'm going to use on a regular basis, so it defeats the purpose of paying minimum $79.99/year or $7.99/mo. I originally purchased a product to scan items to my computer, and never intended on going to a cloud based system. Now I feel that I'm being forced to use the cloud based system. I don't have time to use this on a regular basis, and want to use it at my own convenience. Being forced to pay the monthly/annual fee financially doesn't make sense for me. I'm not going to sign up, then cancel "at any time", to start up again when it's convenient for me.

I originally paid $249.99 for this scanner, and now I feel that it's a useless paperweight unless I'm forced to pay the subscription fee in order to keep using it. BAD! I can't even submit a ticket to customer service unless I have the service. REAL BAD! Time to take the money I COULD have spent with NEAT's cloud based system, and use it for a more superior scanner, which was the original reason for purchasing NEATDESK years ago.

Hi Shea,

That's wonderful to hear! We will make sure that Arnold gets your feedback. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I have been struggling with my software for six months since upgrading to Sierra. I have spoken to many people at Neat over the last six months and today finally connected with Ivan and Arnold. Ivan assured me I would have success "this time". I waited for over 60 minutes on hold but finally got Arnold. Arnold worked on my PC for over an hour downloading and uninstalling and reinstalling and finally got my system to work. I was about to cancel my Essential Plan, but thanks to Arnold, I am remaining a customer. He made the difference in me continuing as a customer or throwing the Neat system out of my front door. Thanks Arnold for giving me the confidence I needed to trust NEAT again.

Factual basis uncertain

I purchased a portable scanner for personal as well as work use. It worked great. I paid FULL price for it and downloaded whatever it said to download. Loved it. Then suddenly it just QUITS and after following all the "delete the software and reinstall" mess, I find out that I have to pay each month to use a product I ALREADY bought??? Like bought as in... paid for in full? Not rented? Not using for a little while? Nope, bought. So this would be the equivalent of me purchasing a dress and then being told I have to pay each time I wear it. Or paying full price for a watch and then getting a message on it that to use it, I have to pay $80 minimum per month for it to stay wound. This just reeks of extortion and fraud.

I do not require nor desire the use of the NEAT cloud. I have access to at least 3 cloud systems that are free already. I bought the scanner to use for scanning documents into my computer for emailing. I have no need to pay NEAT to use their cloud. It is just wrong. I am now stuck with a portable scanner that I cannot use and no way to scan documents. How nice for me.

Hi Clayton,

Thank you for the feedback. We are always working to improve our software and services. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please just let us know.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I use the NeatDesk every day mainly for scanning and emailing things. I don't like a lot of paperwork so I scan something almost every day whether it's a bill or a receipt. When I upgraded to their Neat Cloud two weeks ago, I had to call customer service, and it was probably the best experience I've had with a help desk. The woman that helped me, Dolly, was amazing. She went through everything, went over and above what she needed to do, followed up with me, made sure I knew how to use it and told me when there was an issue and gave me a ticket number and all that stuff. There's some sort of a bug that they're still working out, but it seems to be working now. I'm in the software business so I understand that software has problems. But how they handle anything like an upgrade or customer support issues is the best in the industry.

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your candid feedback! We love to here how Neat works for our customers and are so glad that you are able to take advantage of some of Neat's features. I have logged the details of your feedback, (specifically your request for splitting receipts) in an effort to improve our products and services.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 24, 2017

I've been with NeatDesk for a long time. I go all the way back when it was first created and only available with the little chrome receipt scanner, which took a whole minute to scan one receipt. But it was cute and at least I had the information stored. Then they upgraded the portable scanner and came out with the desktop scanner. I've had both their series. I use it every day now. I wasn't using it every day at first because it was still a little slow even with the 5.5 version. But I am a type of person that backs up on an external hard drive and it was taking so long. There was also no support all of a sudden on 5.5 so I had to pay for the subscription for Neat Essentials although I was reluctant to go to the Cloud. I haven't upgraded to anything higher than the ND-1000 because it serves my purpose and there wasn't that much of a feature change other than getting a few more receipts to scan in one time, which I haven't made the decision.

I like that I can select the scanned receipts in order to file them in the appropriate folders. I started setting it up like I would have a thousand metal file cabinets in my mind to be keeping up with all of the stuff. It keeps everything where I could find it at a glance and I can give my technicians access or keep them out of my folders because they get all curious. One of the other great features that Neat came up with was the ability to be compatible and export to TurboTax. The feature did not exist for a long time and I was having to go in and prepare my tax reports manually. It was a time saver and a dream come true to me.

I'm also very proficient in Excel so I use the export to Excel function when creating the reports. I use it for tracking my minister support expenses. I also set up the calculations to control the input and then they're kind of templates. I could load the data and change it out in a monthly basis. It's a technology that is long overdue and helps me manage my finances or the paper monster. Looking forward to continue working with them on the enhancements that they have. I pray that they stay ahead of the curve.

They did leave off one very important feature, which was splitting the receipt and I've already asked them to upload that to R&D. So I got to rescan the receipt on my calculator, do the tax calculations and then categorize it. If they have the ability to split the receipt to automatically apply the tax for retail, this would be a dream come true. Also, since the Cloud, I'm uncomfortable from a standpoint of retrieving and restoring my data. It's about 9 Gigabytes of receipts and they can't get the viewing of the images right. The software keeps trying to update itself. I might be on tier three on the technical support and the tech said the problem will be escalated to the next level but I'm waiting for the fix. I've been on this problem since March 24th. There was also a time I was receiving an error command in processor when attempting to scan and we got that resolved by reinstalling.

I bought a Neat scanner specifically for Mac in 2012. Back then you have to pick. PC or MAC. It was not cheap. I bought it at an electronics BOX STORE. The scanner worked from then until approximately 6-8 months ago (maybe longer, maybe less. I don't use it everyday). I assumed I was doing something wrong. Didn't have it plugged in correctly, didn't have paper loaded correctly, needed to clean scan bar, or any number of USER ERRORS I needed to investigate. In the mean time I just started using my scanner on my PC, one page at a time. When I got around to it, I finally found the problem. NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! The problem is now NEAT wants me to start paying for software I have already paid for. Bad form Peter Pan.

When I bought my SCANNER I didn't have to pay a fee to use the scanner. I understand if I don't choose to pay for your updates I do get access to your latest and greatest, but to lock me out of what I have already paid for? Bad Form Peter Pan. I should have my NEAT SCANNER unlocked and turned back on just as it was. I'm not asking for upgrades. I don't want them. I'm happy with what I bought. I'm embarrassed that I recommend several people should buy the product, due to the fact that they are now holding the hardware hostage, unless you pay more money for what you have already paid for. The scanner hardware has a green light and is green, ready to go, but the Mac computer scanner icon is grayed out and will not turn on till you "update". Updated through NEAT involves giving NEAT your credit card number and agreeing to give the company money on a regular basis. That's a crock. I already paid for it.

I purchased a Neat scanner a few years ago (2015) and finally set it up a few months ago. Their software said you could still use it for free without purchasing the unnecessary cloud software package they're pushing people to pay for, so long as you downloaded the legacy package, which I did at the time. I used it for a while, storing business cards, etc., but now it won't log me in unless I agree to pay - I get a screen where I put my e-mail/password and then get the "your free trial has expired". When I delete the software and go download the "legacy version" from their website, it asks me for my e-mail/password to even download it. This means I have no way to access the information I entered when it was supposed to be free to use.

Extreme disappointment. In fact, this borders on fraud. There is nothing on the box containing my Neat scanner that says you have to pay monthly to use it, nor in the instructions that came with it. Further, to not let you have a way to just login without paying and export all your data is really close to blackmail. Given they're already getting $300 for the scanner, this is unabashed greed. I'll likely have to pay for a month to get all data out, but the fact is, the company is not meeting what it promised.

Do not recommend buying anything from this company since, given this behavior, who knows what sorts of shady, unacceptable business tactics they might use in the future (suddenly raising the price dramatically, for example, and not letting you get your data out if you don't pay it, figuring that your documents are stuck with them and inaccessible otherwise). Not worth the risk of purchasing a product from them. Too bad, because the scanner is a good product for transferring local documents to your local machine, and worth the price for that.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I use Neat desk twice a year for scanning my receipts and strictly for home use. My only concern is that when the computer updates now, what happens is that I forgot all my files saved on the Neat server. My computer got updated to Windows 10 and the only way I could repair it is to get rid of programs that didn't come with it and one of those was Neat. So then, when I tried to retrieve my Neat files, I was told that I had to sign up for a monthly account and a new software before they would retrieve the file.

Hello David,

Thank you for your feedback and for your patience. We certainly apologize for the frustration current issues with Neat for Mac Sierra have caused you.

We are also anxiously awaiting the new Neat for Mac software to be released. This new version is believed to fix crashing and stability issues in the Sierra environment. We hope to have this released by the end of April.

We would be more than happy to take a look at your account to see if there is any sort of compensation that can be provided. However, we do not have any plans listed under the email address dbdewhurst@gmail.com. Can you provide us with your Neat Cloud account email address so we can take a look?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: April 22, 2017

What is now the legacy software worked fine. Neat then jumped on the bandwagon of only supporting cloud based software. For the "privilege" of paying an annual subscription, versus just buying the software previously, we now have an inferior system. The cloud based functions are much less manageable than the previous desktop software. In addition, despite having 6 or 7 months to update to support Sierra it is still crashing frequently. So we now have a system that is unstable, has less features, is more cumbersome to use and costs and annual fee in the bargain. I gave two stars because I have had pretty good support from the email support team although their hands are tied by limitations in the system. At the very least Neat should give users of the cloud based system who have Sierra as their operating system a rebate on the current year's annual subscriptions.

The Neat Company Company Profile