2.70/5
Based on 215 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

923 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I had a real pleasant experience both Melvin and the First Lady seemed to bend over backward to help me. I am hard hearing which makes it difficult to understand on the phone but they were very patient while helping me. Thanks for getting me with the people that care. I am wounded veteran and am trying to help other vets needing help.

Get expert buying tips about Expense Management Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We’ve been using The Neat Company for six years. We had the smaller product years ago, then last year we upgraded to the Desk and the Cloud. We use it to do the forecast receipts for our business. It’s good to have all the receipts in one spot to be able to run the reports for our accountant. Using the Cloud is good because then we can do it from any place. If I needed to work from home, I could still look at stuff. The Cloud itself has been our favorite part and is the best.

We’ve had issues with the scanner since day one, though. We got the scanners last March and didn’t even set them up until August then neither one of them worked. They were only scanning black. I had to reach out, then I had to get someone else then someone else. The Neat Company ended up replacing the scanners. But just last week, we started having troubles again and we called the tech support line. The guy that we spoke with sent us a link and wanted us to watch a video on how to fix it. I told the company that I called for help and all they did was give us a link. I wanted someone to help me. So, somebody called and walked us right through it, remoted into our computer and fixed it. That part was awesome. It was a tedious pain to get to that part but, in the end, it was fixed.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your feedback, Tammy! Neat's focus in the future will be on our cloud product and you will start seeing new features added shortly!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I called this company to get technical support with the installation of a supported product online. I downloaded the drivers and as an IT person I have never experienced such difficulty getting some very basic questions about the installation. They will not let you speak with anybody unless you can verify the email you set up with, and will not help you recover it. I was working for a technologically challenged client and found this quite difficult considering the price point of the product.

Hi Christian,

Here is a link that should assist you with installing drivers and getting your clients Neat scanner operational again:

If you require further assistance, we can reach back out to you!

Original review: April 18, 2018

A bunch of years ago, I saw an advertisement for a scanner, which I needed, and I bought it. I got one of The Neat's early ones. The hardware is the same one I had, but the software has been updated. And I didn’t know it was updated until I saw that the screen was totally different. I’m still learning how to use it again. But I use it almost every day or four times a week. I scan various documents like bills and things that I paid, and I have separate files for things like that. With NeatDesk, I’ve gotten records of things, but I don’t know where they are now since they’ve updated everything. I’m having trouble finding anything. I asked about it and they didn’t offer me any information. They didn’t know where it went.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for reaching out to us, William. We can certainly assist you in locating your scanned documents. Your case history with us has been reviewed and we will be reaching out in an attempt to assist. If you know of a date/time you are available next week, please let us know and we can assist.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I would give 0 stars if I could. AVOID Neat unless you want your data held hostage by a subscription plan. I bought the scanner a few years ago and have most of my very important records stored in the program. In 2016 they moved to subscription only, but I could still use my installed program. (I should have moved away from them at that point. Shame on me.)

A few weeks ago, my scanner and/or software stopped working. Now I find there is no way to reinstall the program or update the drivers. While there is some limited discussion in some forums, the suggestions do not work. I tried reinstalling from the original CD, but even that won't work because of the outdated original software blocks itself from installation. I find it offensive to have to pay forever (monthly or annually) to have my documents. That was never the deal I signed up for. And something seems wrong with that. Before entering a relationship with this company, you must decide if those are the people you want to trust well into the future.

The Neat Company response

Hi Bryan, If you need any help with retired Neat products in the future, we have the the Neat's retired products support community to provide user based support. Here is the link to familiarize yourself with the wealth of support articles and FAQs for Neat's legacy products:

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I use my NeatDesk all the time because I scan all my bills and my papers getting ready for taxes. And I also like that with NeatDesk, there is less paper on my desk. The only thing that I don’t like is they have a program where you gotta be a member of it in order to use the scanner. If you’re not a member, then you cannot use the scanner. It’s useless. Every year I gotta pay a hundred and something dollars in order to use their program. But other than that, the scanner is great. I like it.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I’m still working with NeatDesk. I heard about it years back and I’ve had NeatReceipts from just about the time it came out. In fact, I was queried after about a couple of years and by phone also. At that time, they were going to make a new commercial and they were interviewing people here in my area, in Portland, in Vancouver, and in Washington. I went to that and met some more people. It was fun and I just have always used NeatReceipts.

I needed something that I could depend on and that would keep a copy because we own our own trucking company. When you are running up against the government a lot, to me, it just seems reasonable to use it. It was wonderful and very great. I had to make some changes as to how I was doing my input, but that was fine. I learn as I go. What we are doing now is getting everything uploaded to the Cloud. And then, we can go from there. That will be another learning experience. I would tell others how great NeatDesk is and what they offer and how easy it is to do. I can also load other things that I want to save for a period of time that is scannable. Their help team and the support has been absolutely fantastic. They’ve done everything possible and worked hours in trying to get everything straightened out for me. So I really appreciate everything they've done.

The Neat Company response

Hi Elizabeth, we loved hearing your story! It's fantastic you are seeing the direct benefits of using Neat for your business. Let us know if you ever have any questions and we can help you out!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have a ND-1000. They no longer offer support for the legacy software which I need to use my scanner without paying for a subscription. I understand that. However, to make it impossible to simply download the software to use the basics that existed when I purchased the scanner, is simply put, deceitful!!! They are doing that so you will just give in and subscribe!!! What an awful company!!!

The Neat Company response

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the retirement of Neat's desktop software. You are correct, support for the Neat desktop software and all retired products is now provided by our retired product online community found here: https://neat.desk.com/

Customers choosing to remain on Neat's retired desktop software may do so for as long as they wish. Neat understands customer may want to download this version to continue using and for a limited time users can . We have provided a one time support option to obtain the download, address any scanner issues, and restore Neat created backups. Information can be found here:

On the support link above you will find a telephone number to call where if you are eligible to receive the Neat desktop software:

Limited Live Support is now available Monday-Friday 9AM to 8PM Eastern time.

Call us at 855-910-NEAT (6328)

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 9, 2018

Hardly know where to begin. I previously used this company's older software (they now call it Legend) and it was a good product. Customer service was never very good but the product was user friendly and functionality was great. Neat quit supporting it and it eventually crashed. So upgraded to their new and improved Cloud software. It has limited functionality, takes very long time to process scanned items to the Cloud, system crashes, system doesn't recognize all the functions of my scanner, etc, and on and on. I tried to call their support line that was published to be available 24-7. Got a message of limited hours. Tried their Chat line, and was asked to give my credit card for a charge. Very disappointed. Looking for an alternative document imaging system.

Hi Rodney,

We see you were able to get help from our support team on 4-4-18. If you need further assistance we'll be happy to help. You can reach us at 888-898-3253 or send a private response here and we can give you a call as well.

You may have gotten our information crossed with another company, however, since we've never had support available 24-7 and we do not charge you to get chat support. You can open a chat session by clicking "Help Me" in the lower right after logging into the cloud based software or from your cloud account. Then type "chat" in the search and you'll get the option. See this for details and screenshots:

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have been using Neat since 2009 and the software at that time was not really good. For months at a time I didn't scan since the structure of the database was not intuitive. But eventually an update revealed a folder tree based database and in spite of all the past entries that I had to edit, I was fairly happy. Then one day it came to pass that I needed to upgrade to Cloud based. That seemed like a good fit so I signed up. Since then I have had countless problems which I don't even need to recount here. I have stayed on hold waiting for my call to tech support to be answered for 8 hours before hanging up. Various problems have left me hanging at different times and I have found the website to be close to useless. So many broken links and old data. Today I tried to sign up for a webinar that was held 03/27 and the blurb for it is still up.

Now I need a new scanner... my third because I scan a lot. And I plan to scan a lot more since I am digitizing ALL the papers in my home prior to becoming a full time RVer. I asked for info on a specific scanner to see if that is the way I should go. I was sent a generic link which listed their partners of which HP was not included. However on another page on this same website HP was touted as the answer. So here is my problem. I am disillusioned with the company. I don't trust them to make my data safely available to me in the future.

There have been too many changes and it appears that the company is grasping at straws to come to a solution. My data is at this point being held captive to whatever machine they want me to buy and worse yet, whatever price they choose to charge. In order for me to feel comfortable, I would like to be assured that I would be grandfathered in at the rate I currently pay and that there would be a reasonably accessible way to export my database from the Cloud to be used in another software if I should decide to do so. Thank you.

The Neat Company response

We're sorry for any frustration getting through to our support in the past. We have made recent improvements to make it easier and faster to get to a live representative. Should you need assistance please call us at 888-898-3253.

We also have a list of certified third party scanners you can choose from here:

We'd be happy to help with any issues or questions you have, however, we want to clarify that you have access to your data from any web browser or through our mobile app for iPhone and Android as well as in our desktop software. You can always export the data to PDF to use outside of Neat as well.

Please let us know if there is anything other question or concern we can address for you.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I use my NeatDesk at least once or twice a week for archiving, scanning, as well as finances. I have it for personal use and since we're trying to go digital, it's better than my previous method. Also, now that we work with the Neat Cloud on-the-go, it’s much better as it gives me the opportunity to put stuff into the archive without having to be at home. The customer service I received after having a problem with the scanner was very good as well. If someone were to ask about the NeatDesk, I'd say that it's an opportunity to do some archiving and retrieval and it's a good system if you have time to operate it. I would recommend The Neat Company.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for sharing your story, Glenn! We are happy to hear you are well on your way to going digital. Neat's cloud software is definitely the way to go to not only store your items in the event in the event anything happens to your computer. You can also scan and access your items on the road, or at home. Let us know if you have any questions or need any future assistance. Happy scanning!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Where to start. Neat has wreaked havoc on my entire system of receipt organization. Previous to this year I had very little problem with the Legacy software. It just worked. Then I upgraded to the cloud version. Big mistake. All of my computers are on the same operating system and my main desktop will no longer open the Legacy software. My laptop will and thank goodness it does because the desktop cloud app won't display the receipt images anymore. It has some vague error and then crashes. I was able to sync the receipts back to the one functioning desktop app. I plan on downloading all my receipts and moving on to a new software solution. Like others have said, the new cloud app has LESS features than the Legacy software, is more difficult to use, crashes often and will make your life harder.

Don't buy this junk software. I will tell everyone I know not to buy this software. I will tell strangers to not buy this software and I will post it to every known social site I can find. It has to be the single worst purchase I have made in the last decade. Let's talk about their unusable website support. So many links that go to 404 error pages. It is amazing they pay someone to maintain this poorly planned website. I dare you to find a direct link to submit an email support ticket. Just try. Their instructions are so poorly thought out. The entire self-help section should be called "self-as little help-possible".

Let's talk about their Facebook page. I also dare you to read any comments on any of their Facebook posts. You can't. I can't bring myself to talk to anyone on the phone because I just know it will only frustrate me further. They have them all blocked. What are you trying to hide Neat? Where is the transparency? This software is so terrible. I just keep surprising myself and saying to myself "I can't believe people were paid to make something this poorly thought out". But they did. Fool me once... DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE. You'd be better off with a monkey with a notepad and a crayon.

The Neat Company response

We are sorry for the frustration. We realize the retired software sometimes requires intervention to complete migrating data but we do offer support to help with migrating data to the new software. We strive to improve our services and you may be pleasantly surprised if you give us a call at 855-910-6328. Likewise, we can set up a call to help you if you leave your number in a private message.

We recently updated our support site so we did experience some 404 page errors while we transitioned to the updated site but they have all been addressed now. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Years ago, I saw The Neat Company's publicity and I thought being paperless was very convenient. I had a good experience with them and everything has been working. However, after doing all the scanning for the files, especially if I have more than two pages, it takes forever to upload. I even considered using QuickBooks to try to see if they might be quicker. Years ago when I originally got The Neat Company, it was a software, but it was in the hardware of the computer. And then from the hardware, the computer will send it over to the cloud and all the other devices, like my cell phone.

It used to be fast because it goes directly. I do real estate, so I do rehabs. I was scanning directly from my scanner to my computer and all the receipts, files, and closing packages will go fast and upload right away. Now, it takes too much time in order for them to upload. In addition, with the new software, you have to log in directly to the cloud. I used to use it on a daily basis, but now, since I spend too much time trying to upload, I use it once a week. I’m getting behind because of that. Sometimes I use Neat Cloud on-the-go and it's convenient. I can see on my phone my receipts or checks that I made. I also get all my consolidation of incomes and expenses.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, Alfredo. Drop us a line if you ever need any assistance and we can help you out!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been using NeatDesk scanner for many years now without any issues. However, today I purchased a new computer and needed to download the software to my Neat scanner. Neat said "we're so sorry that we are not supporting the old Legacy software any longer." The only way that I can get support is by purchasing a monthly cloud-based software! Complete and total BS!!! They say you can call Legacy Temporary Support for a link. I held for over 30 minutes. I finally reached an overseas answering service who sent me a bogus link that went back to the Legacy Temporary Support website page and phone number.

There is no link on their website to download the Legacy software that came with my original NeatDesk scanner. So this piece of equipment is now worthless to me unless I start paying them a monthly fee!!! Bait and switch! You cannot sell customers your expensive equipment and then not allow them to download the original software that comes with the equipment that enables to work...just because you feel that you want to be greedy by making everyone pay monthly indefinitely. I NEVER had issues with my Neat scanner. I DO NOT want to put things in the cloud. I was happy with the original purchase of the Neat scanner and how it worked by saving things on my computer. I purchased and paid for it in full and expect to be able to use it until I DECIDE that I no longer want it.

How dare you do this to your customers. SHAME ON YOU!!! I will be looking into a class-action lawsuit, as I do see many UNHAPPY AND ANGRY past customers who are now being duped by you. I will definitely let everyone in my firm and courthouse know the experience that I have had, and I will direct them to this site as well as other sites with complaints about Neat! AGAIN, SHAME ON YOU!

Hi Selena,

I can understand your frustration with receiving the link to download the retired software. However, you are free to use the retired software without purchasing a cloud plan for the current up-to-date software. If you prefer to store your data locally, you may certainly do so. Our records show that you did receive the download link on 4-6-18. If you need help installing it afterwards please let us know or call us at 855-910-6328.

Thanks.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I am very satisfied with my experience with The Neat Company. My parents used them and now I use them every day as well. I like to be organized with all my papers, and I use Neat for personal benefit. I'm all the time looking and reading so I use the scanner and the folder features the most. The NeatCloud on-the-go is great. The Neat Company helped me a lot because my daughter studied medicine abroad in five different countries. And every time she asked me for a letter or a document, I tell her to go online and use a certain ID and password then I tell her to print out the document. Overall, The Neat Company is perfect and it helps people to be organized. I recommend it to everybody.

The Neat Company response

What a great story, Ignacia! We are happy to hear how your daughter was able to use Neat to help with her studies...and in 5 countries! Amazing! You are seeing the direct benefits of using the our cloud service. Good luck to you and your family on your Neat journey.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 4, 2018

This is a terrible product, it has never worked correctly. Customer service is terrible. Have had nothing but issues with software, drivers and cloud. Customer service takes hours to contact and can't wait to get you off phone without solving the issue. Customer service close at 7 pm est. Not 8 pm est as their own message says. They do not provide updates, software stops working and when you call them and eventually get somebody they tell you your current software is obsolete but they are well able to update their accounting and make sure the cloud payment is in their account on time. I do not ever write reports good or bad but this company has wasted so much of my time that I have no choice. I am not going to try and contact them again, I am bringing them to Massachusetts small claims court. This way they will have to send a representative to answer for their shortcomings.

Hi John,

We see you were able to get help from a support agent. However, we definitely want to follow up and make sure everything has been taken care of properly. We'll be reaching out to you today to help resolve any issue that may still be left unresolved.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 3, 2018

What a shameful waste of a good product. I have been informed I can no longer use my scanner without a subscription to Neat cloud storage, which I don't need. So disappointing of you Neat to treat your customers so cynically - and actively undermine the value of your product. Please let that sink. My advice, don't use this company. There has to be other scanner options out there that do not try to turn a purchase of a perfectly good product into a revenue stream. AVOID NEAT AT ALL COSTS!

Hi Rosemary,

While we recommend our current software since it receives updates and has the benefits of Neat's cloud services, you can continue to use the retired version of Neat if you wish. If you need help with that please give our retired software team a call at 855-910-6328

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 30, 2018

I own 2 Neat scanners and got a new laptop and they now have a cloud pay system setup. So I went to look for the legacy drivers and they are nowhere to be found. They are really trying to push their old customers into the new pay cloud service. Since they don't provide a link to the legacy software anywhere on their website they are being really deceptive. I will never buy another Neat product again! No help from them but I was able to pull the old software off my old laptop and install it.

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for the frustration in finding the drivers. They are installed as part of the software setup but you can also find the drivers for our currently supported scanners here:

You can also call us for support with your legacy software by dialing 855-910-6328

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 28, 2018

We've been using Neat Desk for approximately three years now. The first one that I bought stopped working on me. It was not recognizing my computer and I didn't know why. It was not scanning anymore too. I called customer service and they couldn't find out why. There was also not a place that I could send it out for repair and that had cost me money. But since I have that program, I have to continue doing it because I already have Neat as a storage for my business.

I bought the second Neat. We use it for scanning our documents on a daily basis. I know it's more on the receipts but what we do is manifest in use in the trucking company. The problem with it though is I have to do input it manually. I had to choose if it's a receipt or a document instead of the image capturing the receipt itself because it's not pulling it out correctly. If I process it as a receipt, it should call it as a receipt.

Also, when we're scanning, we need the documents in numerical or alphabetical order. I'm scanning manifest from January so I want that to be recognized as January. But the lady said, "No. You have to put 01-January and it will recognize it like that." The only thing good out of this is the Neat Cloud which enables me to email my customers a copy of my manifest.

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your feedback. We are actively working on features and improvements to make Neat work better and provide a better experience. Since we don't have a category for manifests, selecting receipt may be your best option but will require some manual entry since it's not actually a receipt.

Neat will sort your folders and items alphabetically which means if you enter the name of the month it won't be in date order so by placing 01 in front of January and continuing in the same pattern, all twelve months will be in the correct order by date.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve Neat. Please let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 26, 2018

I am furious with Neat! I paid good money for this scanner with the software and used it for years and now I have to subscribe to a monthly subscription to use the software? What kind of crap is that? I paid for this product! I should own it! I will never recommend this product to anyone, actually I will discourage anyone from purchasing this product. I don't how this is even legal! Just wait and see where greed gets you in the end. Very dissatisfied.

Hi Terry,

We're sorry to hear you got information that seemed to indicate that we are not allowing our users to continue using the retired software. While it is not going to receive updates or enhancements, you are free to continue to use it.

Should you need support or a download for the software please contact our support team dedicated to our retired software at 855-910-6328

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you resolve with the Neat software.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 25, 2018

I've used the old Neat software and I was very happy with it. I used it pretty often. After any meeting, I would have address cards and be able to quickly and easily scan them. Then I'd have them into my Apple address book on my computer. I was able to scan documents, too, and email all of them almost effortlessly. Those were wonderful features.

But now, with the new software, it absolutely does nothing for me and it has damaged my operation. It affected a lot of other things and I'm prepared to change it and go to Fuji at this point. There was a button on the former software where I could move my address cards into my Apple address book. But this new one doesn’t have that. There's a whole separate program for that and I can't use it as the address book that I normally use. Then, I worked hard with one of their techs on the email feature. He gave it to me and got me there but it's such a complicated thing. After scanning a document, there is a kind of an advertisement for Neat then you have to push a button and it downloads your document. It's not good and I wouldn't use it. So the two reasons I would use the scanner for are of no value to me now.

Hi Joe,

We are sorry to hear of your frustrations with the current software but we wanted to let you know that we are working on several improvements which include bringing back some features of the retired software later this year as well as adding brand new features. If you like the new features when they come out, we'll be happy to have you back!

Original review: March 23, 2018

I purchased the machine to scan receipts for work and personal. It worked great. Now, I just changed computers so the new software won't work. There is no way to make the machine work unless I subscribe (that is pay the extortion fees) for cloud-based software. This is disgraceful, do not buy this machine, never do business with this company or any associated companies. Send a message. I will gleefully smash the scanner into a thousand pieces with a sledgehammer to express my frustration. Conduct like this should be illegal and punished by imprisonment!

Hi Robert,

We appreciate your feedback, but we are not able to locate a case interaction for you. You may certainly continue using your scanner with Neat's retired software as long as you like. To clarify, Neat does offer a cloud service which does require a subscription - do you know what version of Neat you currently have installed?

If you are in need of assistance with the retired Neat desktop software, please go here for community based support: https://neat.desk.com/

If you need any other assistance, please reply with your previous case number or create a case by visiting the following link: http://support.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Original review: March 22, 2018

WORST COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. I BOUGHT $500+ NEAT Device - now it worthless. Either I have to sign up on monthly membership, or my Scanner/device will not work. Totally rip off. I bought NEAT to scan document as needed.

Hi Fred,

We'd be happy to help you with this. You can request our older software that does not require a subscription by calling us at 855-910-6328. If you're using a NeatConnect scanner you can also request help for that scanner on the same line.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I was doing paperwork before in trying to keep track of my household expenses and I thought using the Neat scanner might be a better way. But using it hasn’t been easy. I went through a very frustrating time where I was ready to take it to the dumpster and throw it away. When we got our tax computed, Apple asked me to upgrade my operating system in that computer. So, I upgraded the system and immediately after I did that, the Neat program didn’t work. Then, Neat had no fix for me and they didn’t care if they fixed it so that I could use it.

After I complained to Neat about it, they said I could still use the program but I had to use the Neat Cloud. I had to go through an excruciating thing around Christmas time because all of the records that I had somehow had to be transferred in some way to go to Cloud. There was a lot of cropping and pasting and whatnot to do that which took more than a couple of days. One of their guys did most of the transferring and it was a little bit of a pain. It didn’t happen smoothly. We did it between Christmas and New Year's while I was on vacation. I thought I would be able to get the things back together and be able to set up my last six months of records but he didn’t get the transfer finished between Christmas and New Year's. It was quite an experience to get transferred over, get set up, and make the program work again.

Also, even though I purchased what was a premium package for customer service so that they would answer my questions, when I would phone them up and want to talk to them, they would immediately give me a Dropbox thing, then I got to talk to them for a minute, and they disappeared. It was like they were serving three customers at the same time and I felt like I was in the loop. I'm in Canada and they were in some place in the States so we got this going on and it took a long time to resolve an issue. I didn't like the speed of their response and I was all ready to cancel the premium service. That was not customer service, that was customer aggravation. In the end, we got the Neat program working again but I had to be patient. Also, the new software is better than the old software but the verdict is not in yet. I'd like to feel that I'm getting the premium service that I'm paying for.

Hi Sherwin,

Thanks for your honest feedback. We take customer service and support seriously and your feedback helps to improve. Since January, we've taken steps to improve getting to a live support agent and getting the help you need once you are speaking with an agent. We hope you'll see the difference should you need to call us again.

If there is anything you need help with now, please let us know.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I needed a Neat Scanner to help keep my business organized since I do home inspections and there’s a ton of paperwork. Basically, I just use it to save reports. I've used my Neat Desk less than once a month and I should use it more often. I'd tell people that the Neat Desk is worthwhile.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for trying Neat. We're happy to hear it is helping you keep organized.

Original review: March 19, 2018

We have been with Neat for at least a decade. We had the original small scanner & the desktop program. We loved it and used it weekly for our home based business. Then the cloud version happened. I have never been so angry at a program in my life. I cannot list how many issues I have had with this conversion that are never fixed with updates by Neat. I will list the most frustrating ones here, but rest assured there are many, many more.

1st, the cloud program online is terrible. It's completely different from the old one, which is fine if it has better features. It does not. It has less features than the one I've used for years. The steps just to re-enter & save the information for an incorrect receipt is ridiculous. With the desktop program, you just enter the info and move on. The online cloud version has you enter the information, click next, hit save and then move on to the next. If you accidentally hit save BEFORE you hit next, it will save and then return you to the original list of receipts instead of moving on to the next one in line. 2nd, the new desktop cloud app is awful as well. The layout looks great, and it looks like it functions better than the online version and more like the old desktop version, but unfortunately I have installed it on two different computers, and the receipt images NEVER show. I can't even use the program on my desktop because of this.

3rd, I can't get any support because you have to PAY to get support after a year even though I am already paying monthly for the awful online app. 4th, the iPhone app is just another story altogether. I can only scan 6 receipts in a row before it shuts down on me. I usually scan my receipts in bulk, and this is driving me nuts. I could just keep going, but you get the picture. A long time customer who expected a great receipt app for the cloud... terribly disappointed. We wasted our money this year. I have given feedback, and I have patiently waited for updates to all of these issues. NOTHING. Nothing has changed.

I scan thousands of receipts every year, and this is not ok with me. We need a reliable program that actually works as well as your www.neat.com website does. What a beautiful website. Terrible program. We will be switching to an iPhone app only program that actually works. I'm so disappointed to leave Neat. I thought you would have gotten your stuff together by now.

Hi Valerie,

Sorry to hear you've run into issues with the software and mobile app. We understand the frustration and will be reaching out to you today to assist in troubleshooting and resolving those issues.

As a Neat subscriber, you have access to our tech support team and can call us at 888-898-3253 or reach us via email or chat: http://support.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Our team is ready to help with any issues you encounter.

It has been some time since our last update but please know that we are working on updates to improve the cloud-based software and also bring back some of the more popular features from the retired software.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I am an IT provider for over 20 years. Never in the 20 years of being in business have I seen such a terrible bait and switch. They baited in me with a great scanner with decent software and then pulled the rug out from under me by trying to force me into a subscription. This is a horrible business practice and this company should be ashamed of themselves! HP, Brother, Canon, Fujitsu, Konica, Epson...the list goes on and on. All of these companies allow you to purchase the product and then use it as part of your purchase price. None of them FORCE people to pay extra fees to use the hardware they paid for. This business practice is tragic and not only have you lost me as a client but you will also be losing every client I have as a MSP provider. I am not alone in my outrage and I will be spreading it to all of my peers and we will collectively never be recommending this company again.

The Neat Company response

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Lonnie, but we are not discouraging anyone from continuing to use the scanner and software that came with it. You are free to do so without paying anything to continue with the older software.

The new software runs with our cloud services and we do charge for those cloud services but you also get access to your data from virtually anywhere, a secure online copy of your data should anything happen to your computer, and our mobile app to access and add new data while on the go just to name a few benefits of having a cloud subscription.

We also provide a support line for the retired software. Should you need it, please call us at 855-910-6328 and we'll be glad to assist.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I use NeatDesk once a week for scanning checks into folders and creating reports for my own information. The biggest problem with it is syncing. I have two Neats and one is for my personal use. I'm a volunteer treasurer for a Senior Association and I can hardly use Neat as I have everything work out correctly. It mis-syncs between whatever the online version is as to the online cloud. And I got to go back and fix things a couple of times. When the syncing didn't work, and when they were changing versions to go from the desktop version to the online version, nothing worked.

Also, after I do the scanning, I never know exactly where it's going to land. I finally figured that out on this new version. Neat didn't explain to me that I have to either highlight wherever I want it to go, and that doesn't always work. It seems that whatever I scan last before I start scanning, that's where it's going to plop everything regardless of what I might be looking at after. It always defaults back to what I scanned the previous day. But the customer service people are good. In more than one occasion, they've gone into my computer and deleted files in order to get it to work. At one point, they spent four hours getting stuff that got lost in the syncs back into the program again and to the online version.

The Neat Company response
It's great to hear how Neat has helped you keep things organized. We're also happy to hear how in spite of some technical issues, our support was able to give you the help you needed to keep the sync running correctly. If you ever need more help please let us know or contact support via phone (888-898-3253), chat, or email:

and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought The Neat Company to scan my receipt back in 2008. However, I left it in the container and I got it on the shelf at home. I was going to use it but I got very busy in my trucking company and I totally forgot I even had it. I first bought the premium thing and then I called the gentleman that was helping me set it up. I wasn’t sure if he had the right cord connection or not so we had to download the app and set it up. He visited with me about buying the business one which would probably be way better for me, which I did. I got the refund on the premium and then we bought the business app.

I worked with 2 reps and the first one was wonderful. He explained what was going on and reassured me that I could get what I needed and that the machine would work for me. I would just have to get into an upgraded program, which was a relief because I wanted to start using it and get it, and he was excellent. And when I called the second one, he was also wonderful and he went through everything with me. Their customer service is very reassuring that anytime I meet a problem and especially with the business edition, I would get one-to-one help which I really need. I was glad that the rep spoke with me about that and I feel much more confident in getting the benefit from it.

Still, I was very mad because when I tried to download the disk on my computer, it wouldn't download because it was not supported anymore by Neat. I was very upset, but I was mostly upset with myself for not starting it right away. I didn’t have time and it was my fault for not downloading right off the bat because if I had done that, and if it was in my computer, I still could have used it that way. There would have been upgrades that I could have gotten. There was no way I could get it to work without being able to get the disk to download and it wouldn't. I called Neat and I emailed them and they got back to me which is great.

I would recommend Neat to anybody. I haven't used it yet but I will use it and use it a lot and I'm glad to get it. I do my books all longhand and I devise my own bookkeeping system, and it's very good. I made it enviable to any trucking company but it's not on a computer and I don’t know how to make a spreadsheet as complicated as that is. I'd have to take the lessons on that and I wish I had time. The Neat Company is going to have webinars. I haven't attended one yet but I will on the next one and I'm looking very forward to it.

The Neat Company response

Hi Grace - thank you for sharing your Neat related story with us! We certainly apologize for any frustration experience you had attempting to get Neat installed, but we are thrilled at hearing your excitement at getting the most out of our product.

If you ever need assistance or have questions, please reach back out to us and we will be happy to assist. Have a great day!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I've had the Neat copier since they put them out. I have a small business and I use Neat every week mostly for scanning and putting things away for documentation. I got two of them in the office, one in the back and one in the front. I have the business card thing where I could flip up to it real quick. I also fill out the spreadsheet when the taxes go in the wrong places and I clean that up for the reports. Everything goes to the Cloud so I look at it once in a while. Neat's products are worthwhile buying as they help to organize and categorize spending.

Hi Robert!

We appreciate your sharing how easy it is to use multiple Neat scanners to stay organized. Glad to hear you are able to take advantage of how easy and convenient it is to access your data from the Cloud without having to be at the computer where you originally scanned your data.

Let us know if you every need any assistance and enjoy your day!

The Neat Company expert review by Shelley Elmblad

The Neat Company makes scanners and software for individuals and businesses that can help with organization and management. Their products are available at national retailers, including Staples, BestBuy and OfficeMax.

• Affiliate program: Earn a small commission when you refer sales to neat.com when you put their link on your website. Find out more by visiting Neat’s website.

• Free trial: Individuals and businesses can enjoy a free trial of Neat’s premium software in two ways. They can either try the software free for 30 days or receive a full year of Premium software for free when they buy a Neat scanner. Neat scanners come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Neat scanner bundles: Neat offers several scanner bundling options that all include one year of Neat Premium Software. Choose from NeatReceipts , NeatDesk and NeatConnect.

• Industry focus: Neat scanners and software are helpful for many industries, but they have specific solutions for accounting, construction, legal, real estate, insurance and small businesses.

• Everywhere access: Neat’s software is available on all of your devices, thanks to their mobile and tablet app. You can also log into cloud.neat.com for full access and sharing capabilities of your files.

• Best for: Small business owners, payroll departments and independent contractors.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

The Neat Company Company Information