Hello Roger,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we appreciate your feedback! After reviewing the case, it looks
like your data folder was stored in your One Drive folder. This could have been why your data became corrupted. For more info:

www.neat.com/helpcenter/supported-database-locations/.

For the trouble you have experienced, your cloud plan has been extended for one extra year. Your new Neat Cloud expiration

date is 9/7/2018.

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions, issues or comments and we'll be happy to assist you.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I had bought an older version of The NeatDesk before. Now, I wanted to get rid of paper so I got the Neat scanner. Using it lets me view a lot of things for one particular supplier or vendor without having to have the file folder in front me. I can look at it online. I had a version 5 then I upgraded to the last one where I can hook up to the cloud. But the conversion was terrible. I spent hours with one of their tech guys who was super and helpful but in the end, all of my files got corrupted. I had to go back and rescan everything. Fortunately, I had not shredded the stuff that I had before or I would have had nothing.

It's a traumatic example that the new system is not as easy as the old one. I find it to be a little slower, too. I've done conversions from one computer system to another before but this is beyond terrible. When I'm going from a Neat program to a Neat program, it should fly. I was going from my computer to a Cloud environment and there should be something there to automatically interface it. I had to take a shot in the dark on buying what I bought because of emails I got from Neat. We did a computer update from Microsoft that’s got a store not far from here. Their guys were looking at those emails and scratching their heads saying they can't tell what Neat wanted done in my computer either.

I also don’t like that unless I'm a subscriber, I can't get to anybody. The only way I was able to get to somebody when I was looking for a system-quick general information was after I bought the new version. That's not customer service. I like the program and they got a good product. I might get into the reports sometime though right now, I don’t need it. It's just that the conversion issue wasted a lot of my time. If they wanna give me a couple of years' free subscription due to that, I'd definitely take it.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience! If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I was on tour and our store manager used NeatDesk to do all the receipts. And because I’m on the road, it was so convenient. I have to record every expense for the tour and since I’m constantly on the go, it’s better to scan them and get them an electronic copy as soon as possible. I do it every day. I use the business cards as well. It’s great that NeatDesk streamlines everything, and it makes it a lot easier to knock it out and get it to the accountants that I need to. I also use the NeatCloud on the go and I like how easy it is. If I really stack up my web case, then I scan on my phone and get something done if a runner brings it to me after. I'd definitely recommend The Neat Company.

Hello Wendy,

We certainly apologize for your frustration and for any confusion.

Unfortunately, it appears that you are reaching out to us about an unsupported software version.

We have created the Legacy Neat Community for assistance with Legacy software versions. You can seek support for these versions from the site for free.

Community Site: https://neat.desk.com

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 17, 2017

The concept of Neat Desk is great, however Neat falls short of performing. I have had a Neat Desk for over 7 years. I have spent more time trying to make it work than any benefit it has ever given me. Throughout the years I have paid for support because the files get corrupt more often than not. I have always upgraded when possible so I have used the latest programs available. I have even upgraded my equipment as I wore out one of my scanners. Now I am in a dilemma AGAIN. I refuse to keep my personal files in a cloud. My program quit working and I just want to get my 7 years worth of files that I scanned into PDF's or something so that I don't have to deal with their program again. I can't even open the program to attempt to get my files out. I will AGAIN have to pay them to get it to work. I am DONE!

Hello Roger,

We certainly apologize for any trouble.

Thank you for the feedback which you provided as we appreciate hearing from our customers. I have logged the details of your feedback in an effort to improve our products and services.

We were unable to locate any cases for you under the information you provided. Can you please provide us with one of your case numbers so we can investigate this for you? We would be more than happy to schedule an appointment for you with support so they can answer any questions for you.

Please let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 16, 2017

Dismal technical support both on the web and on the phone, poor English skills, worse business knowledge, and their barely usable cloud-based version is a bloated, less functional version of their standalone installation... Really too bad... Hate switching after all these years.

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's great to hear that you've had such a good experience! We have logged the details of your feedback in order to improve our site. If you have any further questions or feedback, please let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 15, 2017

I am a truck driver. Independent owner operator. I accumulate a lot of receipts. Being able to scan with my phone is outstanding. The phone app is great and easy to navigate. I also have the desktop scanner, also very easy to use. Now the website is a different story. Very difficult to navigate, I am glad they have added video tutorials, I am sure that will be a big help.

Hi Barbara,

We have reviewed your interaction and with our representative and we are having an experienced customer care agent reach back out to you. Our apologies for any frustration or confusion caused as result of the interaction. If you require any further assistance, please let us know by responding here. We appreciate your patience.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I have been a Neat customer for approximately 8 years. I own both the portable and desktop scanners. I use them for business/archival purposes. The software was great before they moved from a desktop version to the web based version. I have spent HOURS on the phone and chatting with them to get my problems resolved. Their main response is, "It is a known problem and we are working to fix it". I have been unable to scan my business documents since January. The support for Mac is virtually non-existent. Bugs in the Mac system are last on the list to fix.

I was just chatting with them, no resolution to my problems, they told me to try a few things and ended the chat. No promise of a phone call. Did not give me a chance to respond before ending the chat session. I cannot call in to talk to them without paying a fee for online support. No one should have to pay for support for bugs in a program and I refuse to do so. My best recommendation is DO NOT FALL VICTIM TO THIS INCOMPETENT COMPANY! I have migrated from desktop programs to web based programs numerous times with no problems (Quickbooks, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Office, etc.). I am not a novice and don't appreciate the support I have been given as an 8 year customer.

I had to uninstall my software because it, all of a sudden, would not open in Windows 10. Because it was the legacy software, and no longer supported, I had to download the latest version of Neat. However, that version did not work either. The software would come up, but when I clicked the orange scan button, the popup was just a blank white box with no options. I chatted with Alexa and she sent me an email on how to do a clean install. I followed the steps and ended up with the same problem. When I contacted Alexa again, she determined she needed to do a remote connection to find the problem. She did another clean install with several additional steps and got the software to work. She was great and it needed other steps that I wouldn't have known to perform.

As for the new software, these are the things I don't like: I don't like the fact that it no longer uses the File Explorer folder to navigate to the save location. Instead it uses the browse for folder screen. I often use similar names to name files and in the File Explorer folder. I can select a similar file name and change accordingly. Also, when you have a long list of folders, it's very cumbersome to navigate to your folder. Especially, if you use the same name for different sub-folders. i.e. 2017. I can't tell whether that's a sub-folder for my personal file or my business file. I have to navigate the whole system to make sure it's the correct one. Under File Explorer it would show Personal Finance>CRD Personal>2017 as opposed to documents>voucher>2017. In the new software I only see 2017 and I have to navigate through all of the folders to verify it's the correct 2017 sub-folder.

I only use the scanner to create .pdf files and save them to my computer. I do not use Neat's filing system because that would be redundant with my proprietary business software. However, the software will not hold the 'Save to Computer' setting if you close out the popup screen. It keeps reverting back to the 'Save to Neat' setting during a new session. That is one additional step that is totally unnecessary and time wasting. I don't understand the logic behind having to click a scan button in order to change settings then click another scan button. Why can't the settings be on the header bar of the software, like it was in the legacy software, and eliminate another unnecessary step.

The option to automatically open the scan in my .pdf reader is also gone. I frequently scan an item in then make notes with my Nitro Pro 10 software. It does give you a preview of the scan but you can't make notes, crop or fax from the Neat software. Now I have to go find the file and open it before I can make my notes. Another additional, unnecessary step. If they would change those four things, the software would be more user-friendly. I realize these may be things unique to my needs, but the legacy software didn't have these four issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Hello Maggie,

We're sorry you feel that way.

Neat has partnered with our highly skilled and customer focused support team to assist with all of your technical support, billing, and sales needs. We are confident that are support team is more than qualified to assist you with any technical needs.

We appreciate your feedback and have logged your feedback in an effort to improve products and services.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Too bad The Neat Company has decided to send its help desk overseas. I have a legacy scanner that is no longer supported and so I upgraded to the cloud support. I have spent so many hours scanning in receipts and today when I logged into the cloud account, there are thousands of receipts in the trash folder with a message telling me that they cannot be renamed or moved. I do not have time to sit on the phone for hours, as I have many times, attempting to communicate with an individual with broken English to try to find a solution and being told to "buy another scanner". I am sorry that I bought this scanner in the first place and that I trusted this company. I do have time to write this review.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your feedback! We have logged the details of your feedback in order to improve our products and services.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, concerns, or issues in a reply message. We would be more than happy to coordinate a call for you with our support team.

Original review: June 12, 2017

It hard to reach someone for help. It takes forever to get someone on the phone or a callback. Your chat and email is not sufficient with its help. However when you can get someone on the phone, they are knowledgeable and efficient. Your product works good with only a few glitches. I really like my Neat Desk. I just wish it were more user friendly. For example, I can't transfer my email receipts to my Neat Desk. Thank You for your time.

Hello Brad,

We're sorry for any trouble and inconvenience. We'd like to investigate this. What product were you sold?

Original review: June 12, 2017

Your Technical service is not available when I am typically working at my computer. Then I have to adjust my schedule to stay at my office late in the AM, or be back at my office way early. When I got in touch with someone I was sold a product that they knew had defects in it to properly run on my operating system. Another adjustment of my schedule to get that fixed. Do you understand my frustration?

Hello Kelley,

We're sorry for any trouble.

We can see that you have a current case open (618646) in which you reported issues with activating your pin. An agent responded to you on 6/12/2017 requesting some additional information from you and offering to manually activate the PIN for you. Once your PIN and account is activated, you will receive an email with a phone number for support that you can contact whenever you'd like.

We will have an agent reach out to you at the phone number you provided. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 11, 2017

I am very frustrated. I purchased Neat Connect Scanner and have not been able to get help. I have been back and forth with email support but she doesn't answer my questions and it has been 3 days now and I still can use the scanner. I need some technical support on setting up and why I should purchase a cloud account, how to merge my old files, why I can't move items to my desktop. I have watched the tutorials, none of which deal with my problems. Frankly this would be a 45-minute phone call but when you call the support numbers, you are disconnected after being told to access the web. Very upset.

Hello Leonard,

We're sorry for any trouble and inconvenience.

We can see from your current case (618740) that our support team has responded to your emails. The support team has requested information about your issue several times, however you did not provide them with any information.

It appears that support has called you several times, including as recently as today (6/19/2017). It appears the team has updated your account to reflect the correct support plan so that you no longer have issues when dialing in.

For the trouble you've had so far, we have added a credit to your account for a free month of the Cloud.

If you still have issues, then you can let us know here, or for the quickest response and assistance, we recommend that you update your case, so that the agent assigned to it can call you back as soon as they are available.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have tried on several occasions and days to get into contact with the Neat support team. I have e-mailed them and tried to call them. The phone is a waste of time - it goes through a list of items and then disconnects you. Chat is no better - I send a message then get the same e-mail back regardless of the question.

DO NOT BUY A NEAT COMPANY PRODUCT. IT IS EXPENSIVE AND NOT WORTH IT.

Hello Toni,

We certainly apologize for any trouble.

We realize that this change may be a disappointment to some, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely. We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance the Neat experience.

The features that you mentioned are features that we intend to add to the software in a future update and we apologize for any inconvenience. As for your organizing issues, it sounds like you might not be using the sorting feature to help sort your items to find what you are looking for.

You can also make a copy of your local PDF file storage to create a backup of your data if you are concerned about keeping your items on the Cloud. To create the back up, create a copy of your Neat Scan folder and place the copy in a secure location. Your data can then be restored from this file in the case that your computer crashes.

We would be more than happy to set you up with a support agent who can show you how to use these features. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, or if you'd like to connect with an agent.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have too many papers and I wanted to scan them and get rid of the papers. My son introduced NeatDesk to me and I've had it for years now. But I hate the new program. Before, I was able to combine documents but I can't anymore. If I wanted to combine two documents together like a statement and a receipt of the payment, I used to be able to do so. But now, I have the statement in one, and I have another document. It’s supposedly an upgrade because I’m paying double what I used to pay before. Also, Neat doesn't support the old program anymore.

Neat used to be outstanding and I loved it before they changed it on me. Now, I’m not so happy. I have so many documents and they’re all over. There’s no way to organize them. I would have American Express statements for example and you would think right underneath would be the receipt or the payment, but no. It goes somewhere else within that group. It’s not like one on top of the other. It’s weird.

When I called Neat, they told me they were working on having the same features as the old program. I don’t understand how they can start something out without looking at all the bugs or at least, they know all the features that the other program used to have. I understand people out there want to be on the go, but there are so many excellent features that the other program had that this one doesn’t.

Additionally, this new program directly syncs to a cloud without me having to do anything. I’m not too crazy about that either because I don’t know what’s going and what’s staying. I had a lot of issues with that. I had a tech working with me for four days trying to take all my documents from the old program to the new program. It was insane.

Hello Uwe,

We certainly apologize for your frustration and for any confusion.

You can absolutely continue using your current legacy platforms with out the cloud.

As you already know, the Legacy Neat software is no longer supported by our technical support team, however, as previously provided, you can seek support for the Legacy software from other Legacy customers at our Community site. https://neat.desk.com/

At the Legacy Community site you can browse the current knowledge base, or ask a new question. Many Legacy customers are able to find a solution for issues with their Legacy software from this site.

We realize the change to the Neat Cloud may be a disappointment to some, however, as with many other application providers, Neat has moved into the cloud world completely.

We believe that streamlining development on a single platform for connectivity to Neat from any device and any operating system allows us to continue to innovate and enhance Neat.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Termination of support for Legacy Offline desktop versions. Neat has retired the monthly fee free offline desktop versions of the Neat software. They state that these platforms will still be available for download and use, but there will no longer be development or enhancements for these software versions. Agent-assisted technical support for these platforms has also been discontinued. With the latest Windows 10 Update (6-5-2017) the Legacy Offline Desktop Version did not recognize anymore the scanner driver. We contacted NEAT and in the FAQ database it was recommended to delete all traces of the software and reinstall the Neat_v5.7.1.474_FULL.sfx(1).exe. We did as recommended but it does not work. The NEAT sub-directories keep empty and the software does not start.

Complaining at NEAT we just get mails stating what previous stated. That there is no more support available and the only option is to work the Cloud version of the Legacy Offline Desktop Software does not work. Behind that NEAT policy is the intention to force companies into the NEAT monthly fee-based Cloud solution. This has system and it is to investigate what happened that the offline software cant be installed. For us NEAT policy is nothing but extortion of customers. When we inquired to provide a working Legacy Offline Desktop, no answer but saying that no more support is available! Thank you NEAT!

Hello Wendy,

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

It does appear your are experiencing a unique issue that has been documented and forwarded to our development team for investigation and resolution. When a fix is ready, it will come in the form of a software update and you will be prompted by the software to apply to update.

For the trouble this has caused you we have added a 3 month credit to your account, that will be applied to your next billing.

Again, we apologize for this inconvenience.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I have been using the Neat Desk scanner for over 2 years now and up until a month ago we had the old Legacy version of the software. We had to get new computers and therefore upgraded to the new cloud powered software so that we could log in from anywhere and have access to our information. Once we downloaded the software and tried to scan, nothing happens. It doesn't give me a preview or scan anything into my neat software. The only thing I can do is use Paint to scan documents to email. I shouldn't have to do this.

Neat support did get on my computer one day for several hours trying to figure out the problem but to no avail. They sent me an email saying that it was not just a problem with me that it was a problem with their software and that they were trying to work on a fix for it but that has been over a month. I contacted them the other day to see if they were any closer and they are not. I am getting tons of documents piled up that need to be scanned and can't use my Neat program to get it done. If it is an issue with Windows 10 and the Cloud software they need to get some developers on it to fix it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software thinking maybe that would work but so far it hasn't. I really need this issue resolved.

Hello Christy,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We have logged the details of your feedback in order to includes our services.

We're sorry that you are still experiencing issues with your Neat software. It does appear that an agent reached out to you on 5/23/2017, to follow up with your issue and to offer additional assistance, however we never received a response back and so your case was closed.

We will have an agent email you again at the email address provided, so that they can provide additional support.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in a reply message.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 5, 2017

I wanted to declutter so I needed a Neat scanner. I didn’t want to do all the filing and the paperwork as well. I use my NeatDesk every day and use the scanning feature the most. With the NeatDesk, it’s easier to find things than having to flip through a bunch of papers. However, there was a problem with getting the Neat on my computer. When I called the service people, their rep remotely went on my computer but it was disconnected and he never called me back. He never fixed the problem and that was frustrating. Another kink is it sometimes freezes too. Otherwise, I would suggest to anybody that wants to declutter or to have a more organized office to buy the Neat without a shadow of a doubt. It has made life easier.

Hello Hollie,

We certainly apologize for your frustration and for any confusion.

You absolutely do NOT have to purchase a subscription to continue to use your product. You can continue using your current legacy platform with out a cloud subscription.

Please keep in mind though, that there will be no more enhancements or future developments to these versions. In addition, Legacy versions of Neat are no longer qualified for agent assisted support. You can seek support for these versions from our Legacy Community site.

We located a case for you (611213) in which you were requesting information on how to customize columns in the Neat Cloud Powered software. While this feature is currently not available in the Cloud software, it is a feature that will be added in a future software release. We apologize for any inconvenience that has caused you.

We were only able to locate that 1 case for you. Can you provide us with one of your other case numbers so we can investigate the issue you reported was escalated to the programmers so we can investigate this for you?

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 3, 2017

I have had a NEAT desktop organizer for some time now. It was a very expensive option at over $300 but it had a solid software package that made it easy to scan documents and create reports. It essentially made going paperless an easy transition for my business. That all recently changed when NEAT decided to trash the desktop software and force its users to transition to a cloud based software package that requires a paid subscription.

The cloud based system is terrible and requires many 45 minute calls to their support in order to be told that the issue will be reported to their programmers. The problem is the issues never get fixed. What's even more disgusting is you have to have a subscription for customer support! This company has completely abandoned its customer base in lieu of higher revenue streams. If you search Google for reviews you will see this has become a massive issue for current NEAT customers. Many have migrated to ScanSnap or Mariner Paperless in search of alternatives. Both seem to be working well.

Hello Cecelia,

Thank you for providing your feedback, and we apologize for any trouble. We have logged the details of your feedback in order to improve our products and services.

After reviewing some of your previous cases it appears that you may have been contacting us about the Legacy software. Unfortunately, due to the end of Legacy software, Legacy support has also been discontinued, and therefore support agents are limited to referring Legacy customers to our Legacy support articles.

It appears from your most recent case that you were disconnected from support due to a power outage, but support was able to call you back to continue assisting you. It also appears that support extended your Cloud service an additional 2 months due to issues you were experiencing.

If you are having any more issues, then please reply and let us know. We would be more than happy to schedule an appointment for you to speak with a support agent.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 2, 2017

I inherited some stock and stuff from my grandmother. My husband was in the army and I'm a nurse, so we had complicated taxes plus kids, saving for college, and all of the other stuff. Because of that, I needed to use a Neat scanner. I use it to set up all the different folders for budget management basically and to see where we're careless with money and where our money goes. By using The Neat Company, we found out we eat it out too much and that we really like Starbucks. When we were working and when my husband was on active duty, it was really a godsend but since we're already retired, it's not anymore. They help me manage our taxes and finances. My husband has a service dog and Neat Company really helps with everything I spend on its tax deductible.

I love the scanner but I don’t like the people. When I tried to call them, I get terminal hold and wait in the queue forever. Then finally, I get somebody but then they put me on hold to look into it then they hang up. That’s just it with no explanation. It happens all the time. They're rude. When I told them that I needed help, they responded by saying that they'll email me a link. But, I don’t want a link. I want a human to tell me what to do since I'm paying for it. That has been my biggest beef with their customer service.

I don’t like the Cloud because I can't organize the Connect. I can't print reports that I used to do with the last version they had before the latest version. The version they get away with was a far friendlier version than what they have now. They went down on user-friendly. Then when I try to get them and tell me how can I use the service they said that they don't know and they'll see if they can find something and email me a link. That's pretty much my frustration level. The Connect thing is way faster than the little portable scanner to use. The Neat Company is fine. However, their customer service sucks.

Hi David,

That's great to hear! Thank you for sharing your feedback here. We will be sure to recognize May Ann for her tireless efforts. If you have any questions, or if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I wish that my employees were as competent and caring as MAY ANN ** was. She spent hours with me, solving my technical problems and making me feel that The Neat Company really cares about its customers. All in all, a normally terrible experience, of dealing with Technical Support, turned out to be actually enjoyable. I will now recommend Neat even more than I already do.

Hello Bryan,

We apologize for the trouble and inconvenience this has caused you.

To clarify, to open a ticket with support, you absolutely do NOT have to login. You can create a case without logging in by choosing 'Create a Case' from our contact us page. http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/

The reason you are having trouble calling in is because your account set up is not complete. If you open a private message and provide us with your phone number we can have an agent reach out to you for assistance with set up. We can also add your phone number to your account so that you have no trouble contacting us via phone in the future.

Original review: June 1, 2017

If zero or negative 5 stars was an option, that is what I would select. I signed up for the NEAT free trial. I gave my CC for billing at the end of the 30 days as required. I never received any confirmation. I tried to contact support. Support requires LOGIN. When I log in, I am prompted to set up security questions, I enter them and the screen won't proceed any further. I tried this multiple times from multiple browsers. I can't do anything to get past this screen so I'm stuck. I call the support billing numbers, the technical support number and the company headquarters number. I am greeted with a voice prompt menu.

None of them work so I can't get anywhere. There is no email to contact anybody unless you're interested in corporate sales. Honestly I can say, Why would any idiot sign up for a company where absolutely nothing seems to work. Something as simple as trying to call someone for initial setup and account questions is broken. I've never seen such a messed up experience in life. This company takes the cake for IT problems galore. If they are this bad with the initial setup, why on earth would anyone want to trust their receipts and receipt management to this incompetent company???

Hello Sharon,

We are sorry for the confusion.

As a Legacy customer, you are absolutely NOT required to purchase a Neat subscription to use your software and scanner. You can certainly continue using your current legacy platform with out the cloud.

If you need an installation link for one of the Legacy versions, then please provide us with your computer's oprating system so we can provide you with the correct link.

Or you can open a case with support and request a link at the following site: http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased my scanner about 4 years ago. Recently I replaced my computer and went online to download the desktop application for the scanner. Long story short, the desktop application does not exist anymore. Neat is forcing customers to subscribe to their cloud service to get scanner software. I basically have a useless tool right now unless I pay them a minimum of $7 a month. This is an unethical business practice. RUN AWAY from this company and this product. I will be replacing the scanner with one that won't hold me hostage.

Hello Susan,

We're sorry for any trouble.

We are here to assist you, but please note, live phone support is reserved for customers with active Neat Premium or Business software plans. You do not have any active support plans or cloud plans on your account and that is why you are having trouble calling in.

The Neat Premium and Business software plans come with unlimited agent assisted phone support for the duration of your subscription.

To learn more about which plan you would benefit most from, please visit the links provided below which outlines the advantages of both plans. You may purchase the plan that suits your needs from either link provided:

Alternatively, to obtain support, anyone can open a ticket with us at anytime to work with an agent via email to address your questions, concerns, or technical issue. It doesn't appear that you have contacted us using this method since September of 2016.

To create a ticket please visit: http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Original review: May 30, 2017

Can NOT get anyone on the phone quest on old and new system. I have an older scanner I need help with and started a new trial account I need help with but cannot (and I've tried every option). Cannot get a human on the phone - the online system won't help you, there is NO chat even though the phone says there is, and the phone is a wild goose chase out the door for every option you try. I have questions that a HUMAN needs to answer but there is NO support for this company.

Hello MaryAnn,

We're sorry for the trouble this has caused you. It appears that you were experiencing a unique issue with your scanner that has since been resolved.

We see that their is an open case for you (572318) where an agent was assisting you with your issue. It appears that you requested to cancel your Neat subscription in April, which we processed right away. After the fact, it appears that you wanted to re-establish your account. An agent called you twice, left you two voice mails, and sent you two emails so that they could connect with you and reverse your account cancellation.

We haven't gotten a response back from you since 4/18/2017. Currently your account is still not activated, since you never connected with an agent to re-establish the account. Therefore, if you try to use your software now, you may experience difficulties without having an active account.

We would be more than happy to set you up with an account specialist to fix your current account issues and get you back up and running. Please let us know when you will be available next so we can coordinate a call.

Original review: May 30, 2017

My daughter has Neat Desk and she recommended it to me. I run a marketing agency and when I started with Neat, I recommended it to all my colleagues. I said, “You cannot run your business without this.” I used to use it all the time, but there has been a problem with Neat. It would not work and I was going to cancel my prescription. They don’t have it work well with a Mac and this is what I’m irritated at. They had to upgrade their software and I had to wait. I wasn’t able to use it for a good six months but meantime, I’m paying a monthly fee. You can only imagine how much paperwork I have that wasn’t going to work well, so it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

On top of that, my hands were tied. I have all my stuff on their server. I could access the server, but I couldn’t use the machine unless I got a new one, so way more money than I wanted to spend. I have a small woman-owned business, single operator and sole proprietor, and that is not how I would handle anything. If I ran a company like Neat and I ran into problems, I would’ve sent a company like mine a new machine that they could keep on going because that would buy them far more business down the road than they’ve lost by me telling people that I’m not happy with them. That's the reason I have not recommended Neat to anybody any longer.

Up until that incident, they had been very responsive. That was once I figured out how to reach them. It was difficult to get a direct phone number. I’ve spoken with them, and I actually almost argued with them. Well, apparently now it’s up and running, but quite frankly, I have not had time to try it in the last few weeks. So I don’t even know if the software is upgraded or what. I’d love to know.

Hi Priscilla,

Sorry for any trouble you've had with Neat. You can open a support ticket with our Technical Support team at http://www.neat.com/support/contact-support/. If you have any trouble opening a case, please let us know - we will have an agent reach out to you directly.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 25, 2017

I've had trouble with this scanner for about a year and finally, it has been resolved. Neat wasn't compatible with Sierra but it has been fixed. I'm so happy! I do have one problem. As I scan every document, it doesn't auto detect my files. Then I have large amount of unreviewed files and as I scan, the number increases. So, I have to manually go into the file and review every paper that's in that file. I thought by doing that it will auto detect the other papers as every file are different address but has the same paperwork. If you can find someone to help me. Other than that, I love the Neat scanner.

Factual basis uncertain

I've owned a Neat Receipt scanner for years. Now I can't use it unless I pay a "ransom" to Neat. I paid good money for this and now they decide I can't keep using my purchase unless I pay them a monthly fee/ransom. This is shady and immoral. Bottom line. I will go out of my way to let people know to avoid Neat products going forward.

Hi Shytoria,

That's great to hear! If you have any questions, or if you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 16, 2017

I was starting my business and I was looking for something that would help me be more organized, so I did a search. I thought that Neat was better to me than all the other ones, so I went out and purchased it. I’ve had Neat since 2013 and it was a little bit difficult to reach someone who could help me understand how to download to my Neat from my e-mail, but now they have a feature called “Show Me”. I tried it and it showed me how. That thing is awesome.

I have a girlfriend who had a house fire and unfortunately, she lost her identification and other things in the fire. I told her to get Neat because once she gets everything on it, she’ll always be able to have proof of everything because her files can be accessed anywhere. Neat is not just for taxes. You can have everything in it, including your personal stuff. I even put my car title in there. In case I can’t find it one day, I will have a backup. I can export folders of files into Excel. You can put it in a drop file so you could put it into Dropbox.

I love that I can give my tax accountant access to my files, but I don’t like that in order for her to see all of my stuff, I also have to see hers and that would be breaking the law for her because I would be able to see other people’s tax information, so I wasn’t able to give her access. I can e-mail her but that takes away the benefit of that feature.

I also love that I can add up the expenses. However, I wish I could add totals of multiple totals from one sheet. Like I have real estate and my property manager would give me information of each one of my houses on one sheet saying like for this month, this house and this house, this is how much the rent was. This is what your expenses for repairs and this is what your total was. The only thing is I can’t scan that in for me because it won’t scan individually. It will only scan individual sheets of paper with one thing on it. Other than that, it makes everything else so simple to scan it in and even if it doesn’t put things in the right category, or under the right form, it still makes it a lot easier to type it in and change it to be where you want it to be.

Neat is very user-friendly and easy to learn. Also, I found out that I could do a search and results will come up, but it doesn’t do a separation. It just sees one word and returns all the results. But other than that, I love my Neat and I’ve recommended it to everybody that I know that has a business. Its customer service has gotten a whole lot better. When I first got it, the customer service wasn’t that great.

Factual basis uncertain

I purchased my Neat scanner, model NM-1000 about 2 years ago. Worked OK but then the company started lagging on Mac software updates and the thing became less efficient. You'd have to unplug and re-plug in your scanner multiple times just to get it to operate properly. This past weekend of May 13 & 14 2017, I see an email from The Neat Company about their scanners: An apology for the slowness in updating their Mac compatibility and the link to new drivers. GREAT.

I download and suddenly I CANNOT USE MY OWN SCANNER - hardware I purchased for several $$ from the Neat Company -- UNLESS I PAY A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE. There is no way to undo the software update and my personal favorite: NO WAY to get technical support or talk to any live human of ANY KIND - even if I DID want to be extorted for a "Monthly Service Fee," which I do NOT. TERRIBLE IDEA, "Neat Company." You lost a customer and from the looks of the online comments and reviews, several thousand more. WOW! Are you taking lessons in how to kill your company from United Airlines??

Hi Teri,

We are very sorry for any trouble. We have reviewed your case - it looks like the agent working with you has sent a reply. Please check your inbox and spam folder for the case update.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I have been using Neat receipt machines for at least 5 years, and when I finally have an issue that needs resolving, customer support is nonexistent. My newest machine is only 2 years old, and when I called support and emailed several times I have yet to receive a single word of help. I have been paying fees to be subscribed to their iCloud service, and I still spent half hour waiting on support. When I finally got through they asked me to make a "case file online" and hung up on me, which I already had made several case files.

Hi Rhonil,

Sorry for any trouble. What version of Neat do you have installed currently? Most versions of Neat should process your items within 5-10 minutes or so.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I've had The NeatDesk for quite some time now and I've been using it on a daily basis. I use it to keep track of my receipts and run reports for tax processing. The only issue is that using it takes forever. If I have five receipts, it will take two to three days before I can go back to take a look and see or what the receipt is like, who the merchant is and how much the receipt was for. Also, I have to save documents in the Cloud. There isn't a way to do it directly on my PC. I've got another scan machine that can save directly on my PC, but the problem is it doesn't scan all types and sizes of paper, unlike The Neat scan machine. Once a document is in the Cloud, I can download it and save it on my PC but I can't access it unless I pay the subscription. Also, the support and the number to call wasn't always easy to get in contact with. It requires a lot of technical understanding on how to get it to work.

I purchased a Neat scanner in 2011. I recently lost the application installation on my PC. I reinstalled from the CD that came with the scanner. However it was old software which I had updated for free in subsequent years. I tried to update it again from the Neat website only to be notified that the program was no longer supported. That, I had to purchase a membership for $7.99/month to get support. This was not part of my agreement when I purchased this equipment in 2011. Now I am using old software that cannot read my backups that had been created with the upgrade. Essentially I have been rendered powerless to access my data. This issue needs a class action suit initiated.

I was excited to get this scanner to scan business cards into my contacts and receipts for expense reports. Any other benefits I considered to be icing on the cake. However, the first thing I noticed was the scanner would duplicate receipts when processing them. The software/scanner was mediocre at recognizing the information but a lot of review is required to make sure everything is accurate. This goes for both the receipt function as well as the contacts function.

The software itself is cloud based and you can pay a premium to get additional features. It's subscription based with an annual fee. This is something that I consider insulting when you realize what you paid for the product at the store! Would you like to customize your reports? Think again!!! You can export your contacts to Excel but only in the format that is provided. This includes, contact name, title, company, email address and phone number. That's it! You cannot customize to include the business address, fax number, direct phone number or any other important information. So basically the contact list on NEAT is useless!!! I deeply regret buying this product and will be putting it on Facebook yard sale pages all over my state hoping to get something for this POS product. Live and learn...

Hi Charmaine,

We appreciate your patience with this issue. If you have any further questions, or if you have any concerns, please let us know.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: May 12, 2017

Purchased scanner and syncing files. Would like to wait until job is completed. Very long process and basically taken over my life the last week. Agent is great but feel more able to critic once task is finished and I am able to use the system.

The Neat Company Company Profile