Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5

Neat puts bookkeeping all in one place to let users scan receipts and manage transactions. Neat connects to over 10,000 financial institutions and simplifies tax preparation by categorizing expenses and reconciling accounts. Its basic plan starts at $23 a month, billed annually, and it has a 15-day free trial.

The Neat Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: July 9, 2020

I purchased Neat Receipts to manage all my receipts, business cards and documents, as advertised. I used it until I had to upgrade to Windows 10, then I tried recovering my files and could not. I made the horrible mistake of installing the Neat software again and now it will not even open unless I subscribe! I used it for personal purposes and don't need a Cloud. When purchased the product did not require a monthly subscription to work. The new "updated" version is not the same. What a rip-off! I purchased a product that the company has made unusable. Do not buy this item unless you are prepared to pay a monthly subscription.

Thank you for submitting a review.

The legacy software has retired as of 2015. You can continue using your Neat scanner alongside our free scanning utility which can be found here - https://support.neat.com/scanutility/install-neat-scan-utility and you will be able to scan directly to your desktop. If you need assistance finding your files on your desktop, you can follow the steps here - https://support.neat.com/smartorganizationsystem/access-local-pdfs-of-all-neat-cloud-images-offline . In order to sort your files and utilize our Neat software, you will have to purchase a cloud subscription. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you again for submitting a review.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Like all the other reviewers, things started fine in 2013, but things immediately started sliding downhill and only got worse until June 2020. When I finally had enough, I had nearly 500 document images stored. The only way to get them out in bulk was as CSV files, with the only option being to download EVERY SINGLE IMAGE, one by painful one, on a slow website. If I wanted to keep my PDF images, it would have easily consumed four hours of my time, if not more.

NEVER use this company for anything. Customer service is a joke; they ignore you completely until they notice you and then they simply won't leave you alone. I've blocked their emails and all of their phone numbers. I've never had such a disappointing experience with a product that seemed so brilliant at first. I've lost nearly seven years of important documents. This company should break itself into pieces and flush itself down the toilet.

The Neat Company response

We greatly apologize that bulk downloading is currently unavailable. We greatly value our customers and are here to assist with any issues that may arise. Could you please provide an email address or case number of your last interaction with our support team so we can further investigate?

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2020

Beware - Do you trust the Cloud with your financial and personal information. I don’t. Neat makes a great scanner, but force you to store your data on their cloud. Their customer satisfaction is so bad, they have turned their comments section in their social media.

Hello Frederick,

You may continue to use any older Neat products (at your own risk), please note, development and support for these versions have ceased since 2015. More importantly, factors outside of Neat's control such as OS updates from Microsoft/Apple, could potentially render the solution completely inoperable - putting your data at great risk!

Original review: May 22, 2020

I was one of the first to use the portable Neat scanner and the neat desktop software. Everything was going good in the beginning until the software updates began. The software started to become unstable and now won't accept a new scan without crashing. I've tried to do research on what can be wrong and their competitors have mentioned that the way the files are stored is the main issue, namely one big database of receipts rather than individual files.

I have over 7,000 receipts and a few documents now and the software is at a point that it runs but I'm exporting everything right now so that I can import the files into my replacement receipt manger called Filecenter. To all Neat desktop users, the larger your database file gets, the more unstable it will become. Just a big setup to get you to move to a paid service as far as I'm concerned. Also I went through 2 of neat's scanners and have given up on them and now use a Doxie Go SE scanner.

Thank you for submitting a review.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and understand your desire for a Neat desktop-only solution. Additionally, we realize the changes we have made may seem disappointing, although as with all innovative software companies, we must remain up to speed and current in our technology offerings.

Though you may continue to use any older Neat products (at your own risk), please note, development and support for these versions have ceased since 2015. More importantly, factors outside of Neat's control such as OS updates from Microsoft/Apple, could potentially render the solution completely inoperable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Updated on 05/18/2020: I had written Consumer Affairs to try to resolve an issue with the "FREE" 15 day trial offered by Neat since they no longer support their scanners. 1st Neat Company claims they made us aware they were discontinuing the product line. I have had various registered Neat products for many years and received NO SUCH communication. I recently tried to use the original provided software disk to re-add my scanner to my computer. Unlike what Neat says you can do, it now comes up with an error message that sends you to Neat. Interesting they embedded something in the original software pointing you to their new venture.

The 15 day Free trial which requires a credit card goes like this. You download the software and it doesn't work. You call the customer support number and you get an agent whom says they don't support the trial version, you must pay for the yearly subscription to get help. I don't understand how a company offers a free 15 day trial period (credit card required) to evaluate their product, but won't help the customer get it working on their computer to evaluate it?

I did exactly as the instructions said to install the software, and it doesn't work. How in the world can you evaluate something that doesn't work. Something appears to be fraudulent, wondering now if the real goal was to get my credit card information? Perhaps they know the trial software doesn't work and are forcing people to buy the full subscription via your credit card to get it to work?

I attemped to go to their designated website to cancel my free trial and it doesn't seem to work either. It just keeps trying to load!! Tried my smartphone using the same website and it says "we detected you are using a mobile device, please go to the website from your computer." Something is not right, and possibly it is something I am doing, but with no help, what can you do? The initial response from Neat company about the problem was "we are sorry for the inconveinence, please go to our website," which doesn't work. A once Great company seems to have lost it customer focus.

Original Review: Neat dropped support for their products. The alternative is a pay service if you want to use the products. Signed up for a free trial (credit card required) and the software downloaded did not work. Called to get help and was told “NO” help for getting the trial download working without buying a full subscription. Went onlinE to cancel and the website does not respond. Once a great company, but beware of the new scam. Interesting I heard roosters crowing in the background loudly while trying to talk/understand the customer salesperson.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for providing your email address.

Your free trial has now been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused.

Original review: April 12, 2020

Probably one of their 1st customers, purchased 1/26/2006. Product back then was called Neat Receipts. And yes, I am fully aware product has been discontinued by a turned greedy company, that's the issue for us all. You left us high & dry only to try and extort us for something we didn't bye into, the cloud. Avoid the cloud is probably why most of us bought into Neat, we don't want our info out there and don't want to pay into it for a product many of us paid a lot for to have it on our computers only.

Just look at all these BAD reviews, buyer beware for current & future products, deceptive at the very least to all its Legacy customers, don’t think we are all wrong!
      Probably a good assumption on our part from past business practices is they will again extort the users of its Cloud product also someday, just a matter of time.

They will post a reply to my review but it is all just cover-up's. Don't believe a word they say, again look at the pages and pages of bad reviews and just think of all the people (the majority) that don't review, thousands and thousands more!!! Avoid The Neat Company at all costs, bad business!

Thank you for submitting a review.
      We do apologize for any frustration that was caused when trying to use your scanner. The Neat company has left the scanner market in 2016 and the desktop software retired in 2015. We have made this known numerous times to our customers and it is heavily communicated on our website. If you would like to continue using your scanner without a cloud plan, you can do so alongside our FREE scanning utility that you can find here - https://support.neat.com/scanutility/install-neat-scan-utility

Once again, we do apologize for any miscommunication or frustration and thank you again for your review.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I got the first Neat Scanner as a gift from my daughter who's an accountant so that we could stay organized. That was when the neat receipt company started. We then got the desktop scanner, then neat stop supporting the scanners and an update from Apple would not allow the scanner to scan any more, then I read somewhere online that if you had an older computer, you could use neat receipts scanners. I pulled out my MacBook laptop with version 10.6.8 and guess what. I'm on it right now. Both of my scanners work and I dont have to pay for cloud subscription.

I dont feel comfortable having all of my personal info online. I liked the fact that I paid for a scanner once and if I had to pay for updates/upgrades to the scanner's software for a low fee since, updates are not done every year, I wouldn't mind but I dont think it's fair to now charge me for cloud service if I dont want it or need it if, my scanner works fine and if you dont sign up for cloud service and you dont have an older computer, then you're stuck.

I was all in when this company started since they started in Philadelphia, where I live and I feel that if they were going to get out of the scanner business then they should have said to their customers, here are scanners that you can still use with our software and then they would have happy customers. Customers feeling like they are being forced to go to cloud is not right. They are a for profit company but they could have and could still make money if they updated their software as computers get updates from manufacturers and make money that way. I have read A lot of bad reviews and I can see why. I have expressed this to the neat company but nothing has changed. So if you have an older computer or you have a disk that came with your computer to restore the older operating system, theen you can use your neat scanners. I have been using mine since 2016.

The Neat Company response
      Thank you for submitting a review!

Neat has left the scanner market back in 2016 and support for the Neat Scanners has ceased. We are happy that you were able to continue using your Neat scanner and if you need any further assistance, please take a look here at our retired products community - https://support.neat.com/retired

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I had been using Neat ver.5.7. Suddenly it started opening with an icon at top which said simply error. After clicking on more than 2 receipts it freezes and crashes. I have tried reinstalling but same problem. I just tried installing it onto a fresh computer which had no previous installation, but same problem as error banner on opening screen. On restoring database, the crashes start again.

No way of contacting Neat that I can find. The version installed shows copyright 2020 which tells me it phoned home and was then disabled probably because I did not upgrade! Is there any other software out there which could convert Neat data to another format? I always was skeptical of using software which had propriety files, so I should not have got myself in this position. They do not deserve one star but I have to award that in order to post this.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for submitting a review. The version of the software you are referring to has retired as of 2016. Retired Desktop Software is not supported and updates to the software are unavailable. Please take a look at our Retired products section of our support center for more information - https://support.neat.com/retired

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I bought a Neat scanner several years ago. I didn't think that there were companies out there in today's world that would sell you an expensive product and then abandon you. Imagine if the Neat people were the company that sold the navigation system in your car, they would contact you later and tell you that if it breaks they won't fix it, and in order to continue to use it you have to pay them a monthly fee. That's what they did to me — sold me a product, now won't support it, and want to charge me a monthly fee. I would never do business with this company again. If you are considering buying their product read the reviews, and consider that after you load your receipts on there for a few years they may decide to no longer support you.

Thank you for submitting a review.
      We do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused. Neat has left the Scanner Market in 2016. You are able to use your Neat Scanner with our Neat scanning utility which can be found here and is completely free - https://support.neat.com/scanutility/install-neat-scan-utility

Although agent support is not provided to non customers of Neat, we do have an entire community dedicated to our retired products https://support.neat.com/retired . Within this community you will find multiple support articles for any situation that may occur while using your scanner.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Hi, I bought a scanner from Neat company, I paid $450 for this equipment, so I can organize my documents and avoid having papers by transforming my documents into a digital format. It happens this company decided after some time to change their services by blocking communication between my computer and the scanner. Demanding that for me to use my equipment, I need it to buy a year's subscription to the new software. They NEVER disclosed this kind of service, neither on their tv commercial or online. I think it is very unfair for them to do this. This was a very expensive scanner. Usually, a scanner will go for $150.

But I think the fact I paid so much money for this equipment, gives me the right to use it as I please, without them controlling it. If they changed their service they should have let whoever bought their equipment use it before they changed the rules of their business model. I am trying to use my equipment and they don't even respond to the phone or confront their customers because they know what they did was wrong. This company should be penalized for it. I should get my money back, or let me use my equipment, which I have the right to do so since I paid the full price for it.

Thank you for submitting a review.

We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused but the software that came with the scanner as a courtesy has been retired since 2015. We have made multiple announcements to customers about the retiring of the software. A subscription is only necessary for agent support but you can take a look at our retired products site for your troubleshooting needs - https://support.neat.com/retired

The Neat Company author review by Shelley Elmblad

The Neat Company makes scanners and software for individuals and businesses that can help with organization and management. Their products are available at national retailers, including Staples, BestBuy and OfficeMax.

• Affiliate program: Earn a small commission when you refer sales to neat.com when you put their link on your website. Find out more by visiting Neat’s website.

• Free trial: Individuals and businesses can enjoy a free trial of Neat’s premium software in two ways. They can either try the software free for 30 days or receive a full year of Premium software for free when they buy a Neat scanner. Neat scanners come with a 30-day money back guarantee.

• Neat scanner bundles: Neat offers several scanner bundling options that all include one year of Neat Premium Software. Choose from NeatReceipts , NeatDesk and NeatConnect.

• Industry focus: Neat scanners and software are helpful for many industries, but they have specific solutions for accounting, construction, legal, real estate, insurance and small businesses.

• Everywhere access: Neat’s software is available on all of your devices, thanks to their mobile and tablet app. You can also log into cloud.neat.com for full access and sharing capabilities of your files.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

The Neat Company Company Information