3.46/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1013 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 29, 2018

I've been with The Neat Company since 2007. I own multiple properties on which I have expenses and rehabs. I don't have to keep the receipts any longer because the IRS will accept the printed ones from the NeatDesk scan. I use it a lot and I have somewhere around 1,600 files. Also, I'm especially pleased with their tech support as it is over the top. The rep spent almost two hours getting my machine to talk to my new Windows 10 computer because it's an old machine. I was amazed. It's that kind of service that keeps me a loyal customer. I have sold five of their machines for them. My friends were swimming in paper and I said they don't have to. They asked what if my computer goes out and I said it was okay since Neat has it all on their cloud and I don't have to worry about it. It is a great service and I've liked it since the day I installed it.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for leaving a review for Neat, Paulette! It sounds like your friends certainly could benefit from Neat and our cloud service. We have several new changes coming in the "Neat world" and if you, or your friends, ever would like to learn more about what Neat can do, please let us know!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Andrea (the tech) who worked on my case was a gift! She was knowledgeable, patient, kind and reliable! She is an absolute treasure! I have never before had the privilege of working with a consumer support technician who was so persistent and dogged while being so responsive and understanding! The woman is a treasure and deserves a raise!

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your taking the time to leave a review. We will be recognizing Andrea for all her efforts!

Original review: July 25, 2018

I need a scanner near my desk and I need one that's small, compact and easy to use. And I try to use my NeatDesk every day to get rid of all those paper clutters. I am a consumed buyer and my house looks like World War III hit here. I like downloading my documents to my computer and I probably should have been in the Neat program, but I never really understood where it was going. I was always afraid that if something happened and I didn’t have this computer, then I would lose all these documents because they were in that program. And that was before The Neat Company went to the Cloud. But now that things are going to the Cloud, I feel a little more secure. I can put the documents into the program itself because this doesn’t do anything when we download it to the computer.

We had the Neat Cloud installed not even a month ago and I just started the subscription, so I’m still learning. I haven’t had the chance to sit down and read the instructions and I need to learn how to use it. But I like the idea that I could now start seeing stuff from my phone because a lot of times, it’s something that I need to. I love the concept of The Neat Company but sometimes, especially if I’m only scanning one piece of paper, it gets stuck and I have to jiggle the paper to get it to start moving. And I cleaned the rollers with alcohol like they suggested but it continues to do that. I’ve had this equipment for about nine years now so I don’t know if it’s time to get a new one. But The Neat Company is affordable and it’s easy to operate, even for someone who’s not really computer-savvy.

The Neat Company response

We really appreciate your comments, Lenora. Thanks for sharing how useful Neat is to you.

You may wish to check out this article on getting started with Neat's cloud service:
and you can always get in touch with us if you need more assistance or have any questions on how to use Neat:

Original review: July 24, 2018

I do a lot of scanning for real estate but my printer/scanner/copier died. I've had the NeatDesk for 5 years but I wasn't using it very often, and since it was sitting here, I've been using it primarily to scan. My experience with The Neat Company has been fine.

The Neat Company response

Hi Rosemarie - we appreciate your support!

Original review: July 23, 2018

I've used Neat on and off since it started. I once went several years without using it but now I'm using it everyday for expense reports. I like the system, but it has a lot of flaws. I scan the receipts in but I have to go back and put the information on the receipts. I also can't run more specific reports than what it gives me and it adds things I don't want on my report. It's still easier than doing spreadsheet but if they wanted to do something better, it could get a lot better. I need it at the moment, so I'm using it. I also haven't found a better option. Still, I'm having very good success with Neat's mobile app.

Hi Laura,

Thank you for leaving a review, we always like to hear how we are doing and where we can improve.

Neat has some exciting new features coming in the next few months, specifically improvements to our reporting functionality and how data is captured.

If you have any other feedback, we would love to hear your thoughts! Many of the new features Neat is working on have come from our customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought this product because I thought it could help me more easily with the organization of documents in my house. The first disappointment came when I knew that after paying almost $300 for the scanner I would also have to pay monthly for a subscription. However, I decided to go ahead with the use of the product because it promised to simplify my life by recognizing the documents I scanned. I used it for 3 months and I was satisfied. However, for different reasons, keep it in a box and do not use it for a while, and that was when the second disappointment came.

Three days ago I called Neat to reinstall it on my computer because I wanted to start using it again, after a long call to customer service and countless attempts by the agent to help me, he came to the conclusion that the device is broken. After being purchased only one year and three months ago, and after being used only for three months in total The NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System, Home Office Edition, 2005410, is damaged and does not work. When you scan the documents, only half of the scanned document appears. As it has been more than one year (only 3 more months) they can not replace it or repair it. I mean, I lost my money and my time. I'm really frustrated.

Hello Haidy,

The Neat subscription offers many benefits beyond simply scanning and saving digital documents. It covers unlimited cloud storage, ID2 parsing of data from scanned items, keyword search, a mobile app, integrations with accounting software such as QuickBooks, and many other features.

We're sorry to hear the scanner is not functioning properly but we reviewed your case and see one last troubleshooting step you can try:

Please try a different usb cable with the scanner and make sure it is plugged directly into the computer and not going through a hub, keyboard, or any other device before connecting to the computer. In some cases, the cable can be the cause of scanning problems.

We have also opened up our software to work with any TWAIN scanner on the market so Neat no longer requires a Neat scanner to work. We also have several customers who do not use a scanner at all and choose to use our mobile app for Android and iOS, import existing files from their computer into Neat, or email PDF and image files to the cloud.

Regards,

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have one of the Neat Machines for a few years and I used it to scan and file at the same time. It’s a very nice device, very friendly to use, and convenient for storing receipts, invoices, and different files. It was great. But after a while, I changed to Windows machine desktop computer then I bought an iMac. I started filing everything in the iMac and doing things with the printer. So, I left the Neat machine for two years. But now I have a new Windows desktop and I want to use the Neat machine again. So, I bought the app to work it but I haven’t installed it.

Luis,

We'll be happy to help you install the software to get you up and running so you can use your Neat scanner. A support representative will be calling you to assist but if you prefer you can also give us a call at 888-898-3253 for help when you are at your computer.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 17, 2018

It is a good thought to copy your paperwork to be stored somewhere other than a box. I went and did some research probably like everyone else, within six months I pretty much had it with this JUNK UP PROGRAM called NEAT! It is what it is. "CRAP". My documents are so mess up, after trying to figure it out, Calling Support, Observing the program on what it should be doing and what is actually happening, After my final conclusion, I had documents filed in wrong places, Hardware was outdated before they started selling this junk! You have to sit there like an Eagle to make sure it copies to the right folder. The Icon for selection can only handle a few document at each copy, you would have to wait until that transfer would take place. How long did that take? FOREVER!

You cannot change setting for another folder, NOT enough Memory to hold the fist copy, I paid $400.00 for what, Old Memory!!! I have old MEMORY! I am sure that this wise guy programmer "Knew" that! This unit is for child's play. I called to return this junk and they would not do it! For the next two years I would have to work with them to fix the PROGRAM! Earlier today I need to copy some documents I could not scan because I did not have a SCAN BUTTON? A few weeks ago I was looking for a document and the folder was empty! I had a MELTdown, after searching through hundreds of documents I finally found it, IN THE TRASH!

How does this happen, I did find this document in the correct folder months ago, how did it end up in the trash. I have over 200 hundred documents in there right now. After working with with NEAT troubleshooting on the Phone for 6 - 10 hours and sometime call back the next day, I don't have the time for this junk. Well August is around the corner. I will see what I can get for this, I saw one on OfferUp $100 buck. It's still there! See what I mean! What can be done about this? FORD, CHEVY, DODGE, TOYOTA , they all have RECALLS! What are we sitting for? Thank you for your time.

Hello Randy,

We're sorry to hear you had difficulties scanning your items.

We do want to clarify that you can select the folder to scan to prior to scanning but everything in that scan batch will go to the same folder. If you need to scan items to a different folder you'll need to scan them separately and select the folder prior to scanning.

You may also want to check the memory on your PC but our current software only requires 1 GB of RAM although we highly recommend 2GB. We also recommend 2GB of available space on your local disk drive.

All the scanner models Neat has released in the last 8 years are still supported in our current software and are not out dated. We do recommend reviewing all scanned items for parsing accuracy but we also offer Neat Verify which allows for human proofreading and greater accuracy when scanning items.

We do allow for refunds within the first 30 days after purchase to allow you time to evaluate the product at no risk and we do honor refund requests within that policy.

We also provide options you can take advantage of to use the scanner without Neat. We recommend trying those options to help confirm the scanner is working properly.
Please refer to this link for steps on using the scanner outside the Neat software:

Insufficient response received
Original review: July 15, 2018

I am so disappointed with the new version of Neat Desk. We have been using the old Legacy version for years and now that there are ZERO fixes for that version we had to convert to the new one. We have several years of information that we cannot bring over to the new version and cannot open in another program, so essentially, it's lost. If we need it, it's gone. So, thanks for nothing and thanks for wasting my time. I have a ton of information stored on a backup drive that I can't even access.

I have been working on re-scanning just this year's documents into the new version and there are so many steps that it's taking forever. It used to be such a simple process and they've taken something that was just a single step and made it into a 5-6 step process. And, you can't combine documents that may go together but that come in at different times. So reconciling is a pain in the butt. It also doesn't tally at the bottom like the Legacy did. What's the point? I shouldn't have to run a report to see what my tally is in a pinch. It's so not worth it... I'm ready to cancel my subscription, which I think is ridiculous to have to subscribe to anyway, and just save to my own folders on my own computer.

I am a VERY organized and busy individual. The LAST thing I need is to spend more of my time farting around with this system. If I don't see some of the old and easier options being offered on this new system soon, I'm canceling my subscription. I always used to recommend Neat Desk. I cannot, in good faith, do that anymore. They took a perfectly good product and pooped all over it. It's terrible...

Nicole,

We're sorry to hear you've run into some frustrating problems with Neat and we'd like to help you out. Unless something caused damage to your original Neat database, it is possible to migrate the data to the new version. We'll have a support agent reach out to assist you in getting that done.

The cloud subscription includes the Neat mobile app, access to view and share your data on the go, and options to export your data to other services such as QuickBooks so it goes far beyond storing data on a single local computer.

We're also working on new features that will be unveiled later this year along with regular improvements and updates after that. We'll also be bringing back some of the more popular features from the retired version.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 14, 2018

I've used the Neat Desktop ND1000 scanner and the Neat Software for a few years now. I use the system on my MAC. Everything ran great. I got rid of a LOT of paper and loved the system. Until the High Sierra update to MAC OS and a series of updates to the NEAT software. The system became very quirky. Sometimes the software would see the scanner and sometimes not. Eventually NEAT moved to the Cloud system. I use that system now, and am a subscriber. But still, the software never worked seamlessly with the ND1000 scanner on the MAC. There was always a set of workarounds to get the thing to work.

Eventually, it sorta got corrected through a number of updates, but now the current NEAT software will not recognize the duplex or color features of the ND1000. I tried numerous driver updates, uninstall/install attempts and never could get the ND1000 to work to its full function. It also would occasionally add a broad gray strip to the right half of every scan. That same ND1000 worked fine with the MAC Image Capture software, but of course that required file manipulation to get it into the NEAT system database.

Probably most frustrating is that I tried multiple times through NEAT support and they were never able to solve the issue and eventually just quit responding. Their final answer was "I don't know, we will have to elevate this to our developers". Phone support suggested I buy a refurbished ND1000 from them, but of course, I was not willing to try that route figuring it would not work. I really believe the conflict is between the MAC OS and the NEAT Software.

So today I bought a Brother ADS1500W which is touted as a certified 3rd party device on the NEAT website. I installed it and it works fine. Still learning some nuance with it, such as how to set the default scan resolution. But am optimistic that I can start working off that 2' pile of paper to be scanned that has been building up while I messed with the old scanner. So I think still love NEAT. I love the mobile app and the cloud access. But jeez, guys, your own scanner should work with your software! 3 stars. Would easily be 5 if the darn software worked with the MAC.

Hi Randall,

Thanks for the honest feedback and we certainly appreciate your long-time support.

We are working on new updates to Neat that will include improvements to scanning features and we'll be adding new features and updates on a regular basis after that.

We have had reports of not being able to scan or set duplex options for Neat scanners on newer Macs that use a USB-C connection. The Neat scanners are not compatible with the USB-C connection without using an adapter.

However, since you are now using the Brother ADS-1500, we don't anticipate you'll have any trouble since we have tested that specific model with Neat and a Mac with the USB-C connection and confirmed it does function correctly.

We're glad to hear you love the mobile app and cloud service and hope you enjoy the new features and updates coming soon.

Neat Customer Care

Original review: July 10, 2018

I bought NeatDesk five years ago and I pay for the software every year. I use it for scanning pictures and all my tax documents. It's really nice to have everything organized in one place and I can find things easily too. I can search for receipts and keywords. Using NeatDesk is a much better method than a paper and a pencil, which was what I did before. I've had to call tech support twice and they were extremely responsive. I got a live person both times and on the second call, they even transferred me to the gentleman I had worked with before. It was great. They had a little bit of a bad reputation for a little while but they were great in my experience.

The Neat Company response

Becky, we appreciate your taking the time to review Neat and we're glad to hear how useful the keyword search feature is for you. Thanks for mentioning how our tech agents took good care of you.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We've had a NeatDesk for a few years and we just purchased a second one. We use NeatDesk every day and we use the features for scanning for patient profile. The NeatDesk is good and organized.

The Neat Company response

Nury, thank you for your review. We're glad to hear it helps keep you organized.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I've had NeatDesk for four years now and use it at least once a month. I scan all of my receipts for business and personal. I also use the report feature for when I want to provide my accountant with reports for different things. Using NeatDesk is so much better than having to use an extra Excel spreadsheet. It's keeping me way better organized with everything that I need for my business. Although their reps are good, I would prefer that they be in the United States. But it worked out okay and they resolved my issue. When NeatDesk messed up my printer, the rep fixed the printer for me so my scanner will now scan. But I don't want to purchase another scanner just to have my software work with it and I don't appreciate that the software I purchased is no longer being supported by The Neat.

The Neat Company response

Wendy, thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear how the reporting feature works well for you to send data to your accountant and stay organized. We're glad our agents were able resolve your issue quickly. You can continue to use the retired software but we hope you'll try out the new features we have coming later this year with the current version of Neat.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 1, 2018

I started using the NeatDesk scanner and software in 2012 or 2013. I scanned (and shredded) 3 filing cabinets worth of paperwork. I was ecstatic to go paperless. That's the good news. The first bad thing that happened was the scanner had issues auto-feeding. I bought 2 more scanners to replace the ones that would no longer feed.

Then Neat completely changed their software. Instead of having my documents reside on my hard drive, and sync with the cloud, they decided to put everything in the cloud and leave nothing on my hard drive. Their software has always been quirky, and I was uncomfortable enough with their product that I wasn't comfortable not being in possession of my own documents. So I kept using the NeatDesk software; which they no longer support.

Then Neat came out with the NeatConnect. Even though I had spent close to $1K on scanner hardware already - and had been disappointed about how long it lasted - I decided to try this new product. I thought it was excellent, and I really liked its ability to scan directly into Dropbox and Evernote. In fact (and I'm sure Neat doesn't want to hear this) I was able to quit using Neat's software completely (but only for all new scans) and begin using Evernote.

But the scanner now has issues of its own. It quit auto feeding within 6 months of use, even though I don't use it extensively (not much is on paper anymore). I have to force papers into it to get it to scan. Then all of a sudden I was unable to scan into Dropbox. It took Neat almost 6 months to resolve this issue. Then just this week, the NeatConnect quit scanning to Evernote. It states that the credentials of my "Service" account are expired, but when I try to sign back in I can't make the virtual keyboard type in my email and password.

So if you are comfortable with Neat housing all of your data without having a backup yourself, and if you are satisfied with scanners that don't last and won't stay connected, then Neat is for you. I, however, and getting very frustrated with this product. Not to mention, all my scanned documents are stuck in Neat's proprietary software. I can export to PDF, but once that happens, there is absolutely no organization.

Hi Gary,

We're sorry to hear you had a mixed experience with Neat but we'd like to clarify a few things that we hope will help you out.

Regarding the problems feeding paper in the scanners, often times you only need to clean the scanner feed roller. Steps are included here:
After a while you may need to replace the feed roller which is available here:

We do have options to get your data stored locally even with the cloud-based desktop software.
Please see these help articles for steps on storing and accessing your data locally:
a) set a local storage location
b) restore data from the cloud to their local pc
options for retired and using scanner without neat

Once you access the local data you can also make a copy for backup purposes and they won't be stuck in Neat's software or cloud service.

The NeatConnect keyboard is a bit finicky due to the available space but you may be able to enter your credentials successfully if you enter them a bit more slowly. If there is a problem with the keyboard responding, you may want to try a factory reset. Steps are here:

While documents exported from Neat will require you to keep them organized on your computer for easy access, keeping things organized and easy to find is one of the benefits of using the Neat software.

We are planning improvements to be available later this year and hope you'll be able to benefit from them.

Best,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: June 27, 2018

I’m a fan of the Neat Desk. I have used the 4.0 version of the computer software five years ago and recently, I had upgraded to the web-based version. I've used it for personal home use as a way of budgeting and keeping track of my expenses. The Neat Desk is a recommendation from my sister. She had used it previously and talked to me about the use of it. I explained to her that I was getting ready to retire and I was trying to get an idea of what my expense habits were so I could adjust some of them as I start having a fixed income.

At 65, I started keeping track of all my expenses whether it’s small cash, credit, or check just to get an idea of what categories my expenses fall into. I use the scanning and tracking feature, and Neat does a very good job of scanning and inputting the information into the categories I had set up. I upload receipts from my expenses at least twice a week. Occasionally, I create reports on a specific category. I wanna see how much money I'm spending at a certain vendor, like Home Depot or Maynards, or Lowe's to get an idea of my shopping habits there. I tend to keep them in categories. For instance, all of those would fall for me under home repair so I have an idea of what I'm spending on home repair or where my money is going.

So far, Neat Desk offers a realistic view of your spending habits. It's human to guess at where your major expense habits are and one thing that surprised me, for instance, was what a large part of grocery bills or food expenses that I have. It was a gigantic amount in proportion to my total expenses. So what I had imagined was not as important. All of a sudden I realize that I have to find either sales or other place that will give me a better deal on the food that I’m buying as a way of reducing expenses or controlling expenses. It didn’t have to be reduced that much. There is no lying with numbers and if you set up your categories, they don’t have to be hyper-detailed. But you could do a report for instance on one grocery store versus another.

So I find that extremely helpful and I do use that part of it because it's human nature. But my tendency is to imagine for instance that I was spending X amount of dollars on car repairs where in reality, I was really spending that money on food. Recently, I've been transitioning to the Cloud version and needed to take some of my legacy files and have them imported into the new version. When you do the upgrade, it is not very easy to transfer your information into the categories that are set up on the Cloud. So I had some help with that. To explain further, I had two different accounts within Neat when I had the version that resided in my computer ‘cause I could create a new cabinet.

That feature is gone from the Cloud version. So you’ll have to consolidate your old cabinets or the contents of it into one so that you can keep track of all of your current expenses and legacy expenses. You don’t want to lose that old information. There's probably a development issue that just made it not easy to do the transfer, but with the help of the support desk, I set up my categories to be the same on my legacy version and my Cloud-based version and they’re gonna help me migrate the information in my legacy folders into the Cloud version so that I can access everything. So at one point, I won’t have the legacy version of the computer at all and I'll probably look at some of the other features that are available.

Meanwhile, the software for my use works extremely well and I have recommended it to two people that I’ve worked with who had a specific feature that Neat has. They both worked in the photography business as food stylists and they would go shopping to prepare for a photo-shoot. The client needed copies of the receipts that they had purchased food with. So one of the great features I explained to them was you could export all these stuff as PDFs. You don’t have to print and mail something. You just attach it to your email when you do your billing. The client could then see it all as PDFs. So that’s outstanding kind of stuff that’s hidden into the software that could be good for business too.

While I use Neat for personal use, a person who’s running a small business would be able to create reports, input them into Intuit where they can be exported for tax purposes. Overall, I’m very pleased with Neat and the people at support have been very helpful. The people that I have had contact with were fluent in English and I only wish that I was as fluent in their own language and very understanding of some of the subtleties in communication in English. Occasionally in the years past, I had to have some difficulties communicating because of the subtleties in the language. But it hasn’t been a problem this time at all.

There is also the feature that if you don’t necessarily wanna speak on the phone ‘cause it’s time-consuming, you can also do the chat which is also very effective. I like that part of it because once you start the process and you communicate what the issue is with the individual, they were able to go about their business. So I could watch and work on my screen and there's no need to be speaking with them. Occasionally if there was a question, I typed it in. But for the most part, it’s just sitting there and watching them do their work.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate the review, Ed. Thanks for sharing your Neat story with us!

Original review: June 26, 2018

Neat offered a "Neat" price to purchase the Fujitsu IX1500 scanner. I bit and purchased the new and slightly pricey, well built scanner. Trouble is you cannot use the Neat software to control the scanner. So the scanned image goes to an inbox and, for me, it was very confusing. The Neat software allows you options to place your scan where it needs to be. The ScanSnap does not. I am returning the ScanSnap and going back to my simple Brother scanner which allows Neat software to do what it is designed to do--organize.

Lynne,

We're sorry to hear you had trouble using the ScanSnap iX500. You can set up Neat as a Favorite destination and import your scans into Neat and continue to organize them as always.

Please see this article for steps on using the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500:

You can also call us or Fujitsu for help scanning:

Original review: June 24, 2018

My husband and I collect a lot of receipts so I thought it would be a good idea to have a Neat and put them all in it. I bought it nine years ago for my husband but he never used it. So about three years ago, I thought I could use it. I thought I would need to update the software so I bought the new software last year and I started doing it but it was overwhelming. I could scan but then I had to fill in all these blanks and I didn't have time for that. You would have to be willing to put a little time and effort into it. Back when I was working and was much more active, I probably would've done fine with it. But at that point, it was more than what I wanted to put into it. There were so many steps to take that I never finished.

Then it renewed but I only bought it for a year and I hardly even used it. So I called and let them know. I said that I was really sorry, that I lost my internet for a couple of weeks and that I hadn't had the chance to get a hold of them. I had just noticed the charge on my credit card but since I didn't really use it, I asked if I could cancel and get my money back. And they were all very good. They were very helpful and always very nice.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us, Tina. Have a great day!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have used the Neat Scanner before, and it’s very good. When I joined the company, they have the NeatDesk and I use it every day to scan documents, invoices and receipts.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your support, Marites!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I've been using Neatdesk for seven years now. My wife told me about them. I was very poor at filing and my files were overflowing. I had years of things that I really didn’t need. I wanted to clean up my file cabinets and have a better approach of organizing my stuff so I knew I needed a Neat scanner. I use it on a regular basis to organize my documents for historical reference. For instance, I just used it because I needed my sewer pumped out. I looked back to last year as to who I had it done with as I couldn’t remember. I found the receipt from last year very quickly and I was able to call the guy. I let things collect for a week or sometimes it goes every couple of weeks and then I scan everything in. There is no comparison between me having stuff in file cabinets where I misfile and lose things versus having it in Neat. With Neat, I could find exactly what I want very quickly. I've got everything categorized so it just makes it so much easier to find stuff.

Recently, I got some help from Neat when I had to take my 5.7 stuff that was on my local system and because of the new software, I had to sync it to the cloud. I got a lady named Angelina and the service that I got from her was just unbelievable. It was the best over-the-phone service I've ever had. The conversion to the cloud took seven days since I had a lot of files. I felt like Neat needs to do a little work on their software so the conversion's a little faster than that.

Despite that, Angelina kept me informed every minute as to what was going on and where we were in the conversion process which made me feel very comfortable. She called me back so I didn’t have to call her. I just retired but I've worked in the tech industry for 39 years with different companies and none of them even come close to the service that I got from Neat and from Angelina. She was really spectacular. Even when she wasn’t there, she got her friends to call me and let me know where we were and what the status was over weekends. It really set the bar for what support ought to be so I'd definitely recommend them. I had a great experience.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for leaving a review, Jim. Angelina is certainly a valued member of our support team and we will be rewarding her efforts in provided quality support.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have been using this since 2014. I am officially done. This has greatly affected the way my business runs now that I cannot just simply combine items. I like to attach a check with the invoice when a client pays me and unless I print it out, and then scan the check with the invoice. I cannot combine items anymore. That is ridiculous. I have wasted hours trying to use this new software and am so disappointed.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your candid feedback, Emily. Neat will be re-introducing many of the legacy desktop features our customers have found beneficial to their productivity. We hope you will give us another chance once they are available. Have a great day!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I've had the NeatDesk for seven years now. I first bought the scanner and used it for filing about eight times a week. It was mostly for general information that I received and needed to keep a copy of. Like everything else that you file, you think you’re gonna need it someday. But a piece of paper takes room. So I got a Neat scanner and just ran the paper through there and scanned it. Then it went somewhere and my desk was cleaner. I had one Neat scanner at home and one at work but then I decided to update and replace both of the scanners and that was one of the biggest mistakes I had made.

I've had the new scanner at work for a year now and it has been nothing but a pain. Neat sent me something, saying that they have a class on Thursdays to tell us how to use the new scanner. I didn’t go to the class but I used the email address to contact them and tell them how disappointed I was with the scanner. They called me right up and told me that they wanted to check my scanner. They said that the cord needed to be replaced and that I also needed to replace the scanner. I told them I had a brand new one at home that I had never plugged in. As far as I was concerned, it was a piece of junk. They told me to try that one so I brought the scanner I had at home to work and it still did the same thing, which was basically nothing.

Every time I wanted to use it, I would have to sign in like I had never set it up. It would start all over again from scratch even if I was doing eight pieces of paper on the same day. Then there was a guy who was determined to fix the scanner. He kept doing things, and logging in and out. I tried it then he got the scanner working like it should. Now, the only time I have to boot it up is if I have shut down my computer and rebooted my computer. I have to sign in then but from that point on, I can use it plenty of times a week and it works every time. There was a lot of negativity for a year and even though they fixed the scanner, that doesn’t make it all go away. But prior to this scanner, I was very satisfied.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for the review, Randy.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I'm involved in a real estate group and an accountant who is part of it mentioned Neat. I keep track of business receipts and I've started using NeatDesk. I use it a couple of times a week but I've got some issues with the product. First, I don’t have a receipt scanner, so I've got to use my phone at the moment. Second, it's very difficult when I create folders and attempt to look at a receipt. They only use a camera to take a picture of the receipt when they should be using like a scanner app such as Genius Scan where it will allow the user to zoom in on a scanned product rather than just a photograph of the receipt. And so when I take the cursor and I put it on the receipt and move around to look at all the parts of the receipt, I can't do it effectively or time efficiently. It's not very user friendly at the moment and so I'm gonna try to use it over the next 30 days and see if I'm missing something, but I may end up returning the product.

On the other hand, I like the fact that I can tag and put the receipt photos in particular folders. It's a good concept, but if I don’t have access to all that parts of the receipt when I'm back, when I'm out. I drive a semi and so I travel all over the country. I gotta keep track of like let's just use diesel receipts, fuel receipts as an example. I mean I have to go back and I have to see how many gallons at what price, in which city and submit those numbers to the state. And so if I can't cruise around this receipt quickly and efficiently where I can just by using like the Genius tags and whatnot and it's just one extra step to create my own folder and send it over there.

Potentially I could do the same thing with that app. It has a much better scan feature as far as taking a photograph of the receipt and however I've only had the Neat receipts product for about a week now I think. And I'm back on the road and so I have very little time to mess with it when I am on the road and I get out and I drive from Louisville, Kentucky to Portland, Oregon to Miami, Florida and back to Louisville it takes about three weeks and so I don’t have a whole a lot of time while I'm on the road to mess with my books. I'm gonna try to do more. I don’t much care for their mobile app, scanner application because it's only basically taking a picture with a camera. It's not really scanning it. Also, on their website, they do not offer an area for finding new or used Neat Scanners, products, hardware.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for the review, Scott. We certainly want you to get the most out of the Neat eco-system while you are in the trial period, and beyond. Neat has many new features that will be released in the coming weeks which will improve the user experience - we hope you are around to give the "new" Neat a try. We will be reaching out to you to see if we can assist you in any way.

Have a great day!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I’ve been using NeatDesk since it was NeatReceipt and when they had that little small scanner. I own two businesses and I use NeatDesk to scan and organize all my receipts. I also use it to create reports for my tax returns. And it’s better than me making a spreadsheet from every receipt. But it’s just my businesses are so big now, it really doesn't even do what it needs to do. It’s got so buggy and so many glitches. I may be running away from it because I had a lot of issues. My system crash in the middle of it. But it creates good reports and I’ve always liked it.

When the Cloud came out, I had used it for so long and my files were so big and I had several receipts that could never go to the Cloud. It was a nightmare. It was a five-hour phone call and then, we finally realized I wasn’t going to the cloud. Now, I have an account for that, but I don’t add stuff. The technical staff was always great. My laptop crashed and they had to put on the old version of NeatReceipt for me and they had to restore it. They were able to restore it from a backup, which was very helpful to me.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, Christy. We will be releasing new features and stability improvements to Neat in the near future - we wold love to have you around to try them out since you are a seasoned user!

Original review: June 15, 2018

My accountant had a similar program like Neat and he said some of his customers were using Neat. I thought it would be adequate for my company but I'm finding out not so much. I needed it for a filing system. I thought that was unique and I wanted to go paperless, which I haven't been able to do because the storage in Neat is sporadic and it's losing documents so I haven't been able to get rid of any of my paperwork. We've reached out to Neat and we have numerous amount of numbers for our correspondence.

My office manager was on the phone about two hours ago with somebody trying to correct issues and he saw what it was doing too because he took over the computer to try to find out what was going on. He said their computer has plenty of storage, but he could see where the Neat was losing documents are on the older one which has been really great, but that one it just keeps cutting offline. It’ll be fine and all of a sudden it’ll just close up. Then your older one seems to be a little bit more reliable even though it does go offline. The Neat Company representative call right back and there was one gentleman who was spot on. He tried to solve problems, but nothing has been accomplished. He said he would call back and he did at 9:30 in the morning. He has been very responsive but we are a Costco vendor, so we have a lot of paperwork and maybe the system just can't handle the amount of paperwork we have.

Neat sounded like a great idea but we still got files all over the place. I've just paid a girl a whole year to file things into The Neat and $20 an hour for a whole year and the job is not done. So that’s got me a little bit unhappy plus it's taken her time off of other work she could have done and we don’t have the paperless filing system going. I've put out a lot of money for these plus I've been paying a monthly fee for the purpose of having a cloud that hasn’t saved anything. That’s the only thing where why do I need to pay a monthly fee if it's not working properly. So if you're considering Neat, investigate other avenues and look at different systems.

The Neat Company response

We are sorry you have had a negative experience with our product, but happy our support team was able to provide quality support.

Considering your issue does not appear to be resolve, it would be great if we could work with you again in hopes of rectifying the issue.

Our support team is going to send you an email to offer assistance. +

Also, Neat is going to have some news in the near future where we will be announcing new features and application improvements! We would love to have our experience the "new" Neat when the time comes!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought the Neat Desktop about 6 years ago. The software worked fine until recently and I got the same message many have gotten (Neat has stopped working) and the software closes. My problem is I have many receipts scanned for the purpose of doing taxes from 2017 and now I can't open the application or the files I have scanned. The receipts have been destroyed after the scans and I am freaking. Does anyone know a way to open the files? That is all I really need and I can move on. Will the paid version of Neat's software be able to open the files?

Hi Thomas,

We apologize for the difficulties which you describe here.

The Neat program you are using was retired over 2 years ago, here is a link which explains the options available to you:

We are going to reach out to you by phone to offer assistance with restoring data, and we can answer any questions you have regarding Neat's cloud service.

Talk to you soon!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've had The Neat for years and then I had a little problem with it where I've been slotted out and lost all my documentation when the state wanted to see it. So, I called up and I got a wonderful girl. She worked with me for three weeks to get my stuff straightened out. She was wonderful, very polite, very knowledgeable and got all my stuff over into the new application. I run for the DMV on PA and we log all of our paperwork for the file transfer. So, I get my workers to go into the Neat system after everything’s done and put all stuff. We run everything through the Neat to go into the Cloud, so if we ever have a question, we can go back and look something up. I've experienced good benefits using The NeatDesk because if something happens, we have everything right there that we can just access. I'd tell others that purchasing The NeatDesk is a good thing to do and it's great for business. My experience with The Neat Company was wonderful.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your review, Marianne!

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I opened my business a few years ago, I got bombarded with emails and flyers about what I can use for it. Because I'm completely unorganized, an accountant’s form of organization is boxes of paper. I file all my own stuff and I used to have all paper and pen. But the quicker I can snap a picture of something I don’t have to worry about losing, the better. So, I got Neat and all I do is take pictures for what it's from, either business expense or paying other people or invoicing.

I use Neat on a daily basis and I like it because it keeps a hold of my receipts. It's immediate. I scan and even if I'm doing it on my mobile where it says it's pending, it doesn’t take any time to get it. And usually I can't sit down and get it anyway. So it sends and alerts me that it's no longer pending. I can go in there and send it to the right folder and then later I can go back in and add anything I need added on it. It's very user friendly. Also, anytime I had any issues the reps have always been fast and friendly to help. I've had Neat forever and I don’t wanna pay for it because apparently they started to have new stuff and I don’t need the new stuff. Other than that, if you're considering it, use it.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We appreciate your support!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Horrendous experience! Used Neat for 6 years with no issues. Then one day... Part of my db files were missing. Good thing I had Carbonite back up? Hell no!! The Neat tech could not restore my files from my Carbonite back up. He said I should have used the Neat Cloud. Lost 3,800+ documents used for clients tax prep. Total disaster. CAUTION: DO NOT USE NEAT!!! Get a scanner that saves directly to pdf files so you can easily retrieve from any cloud back-up. NEAT is costing me thousands as I need to contact clients and bother them to send 3 years of tax documents so I can rebuild the required back up. Going to use ScanSnap ix500. I would give a negative 20 stars if available.

Update Mike:

Here is a link from Carbonite if you need help restoring your data:

Original review: June 10, 2018

Really disappointed to have to change to the Cloud account. Now the cloud version of app is cumbersome to use. I still prefer the functions of the desktop version but it seems the company doesn't care to update that anymore. The desktop version has more useful functions, visible options, is more responsive and better overall ease of use.

Hi Creighton,

Thanks for the review. Processing in the cloud is a little different, but we are always improving. We also have heard your requests to bring back tools to edit your lists and are working to bring that feature back in a future release.

Please stay tuned for some exciting news coming from Neat very soon!

Original review: June 10, 2018

Neat Desktop - I bought this a few years ago. I didn't use it much. I hooked it up and started using it and love it! I had to call Customer Service and they were a great help! I use it daily now and really enjoy it! Thanks NEAT!!!

Hi Troy,

We appreciate you taking time to leave a review. Thanks for the support!

The Neat Company Company Information