2.87/5

The Neat Company

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

View More View More

1088 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

When we need the Neat Desk, we need it. Otherwise, we could use it weekly. We use the scanning features the most, and you can organize it pretty much in any way we want. They can improve on the printer reboot, though. They have moved on past supplying the feeder.

Darren,

Thank you for leaving a review and the great rating! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your NeatDesk and the organization features provided. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have used Neat for 8 years and was very satisfied with it until recently. I use Neat to keep track of tax information in Florida, where we do not have state taxes and can use our sales tax as a deduction on our federal taxes. I would scan multiple receipts in minutes and it would record all the information on the receipts. Since the latest upgrade, it either does not fill in any of the information or it puts information that is not even on the receipt. It takes a tremendous amount of time for me to correct and/or record every piece of information from each receipt that the previous version did for me. It is taking hours to do a job that would take a few minutes prior to this update.

I have called customer service twice in the last 2 days and allowed them access to my computer to fix the problem. They are very friendly, but did not improve the situation at all. I am actively looking for an alternative solution. The current situation does not meet my needs at all. I have loved the program for 8 years, but it is next to useless for my needs at this point.

Selena,

thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We do apologize for any frustration that was caused while using Neat. Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. We appreciate you being a long time customer with Neat and hope that you continue to use the product. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought the Neat scanner for my home. I never wanted to use the cloud base system they are forcing customers to pay for. I bought it with the intention of storing my own files the way I wanted. I tried calling customer service and the system automatically hangs up on me. I tried with online chat and they are just as useless as well. The only way to communicate with a live person is to pay for the cloud service. After much research I have now come to realize that the product I have is now deemed useless even though I paid $399.00 and used it moderately. They somehow have been able to make these machines inoperable and force you to buy another machine and pay for the cloud service. In the end, if this would have been disclosed, I would have never bought this machine.

The Neat Company response

Rafael, you can continue using your Neat scanner as long as you would like without a subscription. We have retired certain versions of Neat software in 2016, but they are still very usable, however, we no longer offer them for download or agent support on these versions. New Neat software versions are subscription based and utilize the 'cloud' for storage, however, we also have a free scan utility that allows you to scan and store all of your documents to your local machine. It can be found here: https://support.neat.com/support/download-neat-software/

Jeff Gove
VP Customer Operations

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I do not use the Neat scanner anymore because changing it from a PC-based to a Cloud-based is a scary situation. My files couldn't be imported to the Cloud without a whole bunch of additional helping hand by the support people at Neat. They diligently work on that. I was amazed for a little small operation like ours, that it required two weeks of work to file the receipts since they were moved up to the Cloud. And I'm not even sure all 100% of them were moved up because it was done manually. There's thousands of receipts. There's no way of checking or verifying that they all got moved successfully.

As years passed, they didn't seem to improve their products. It basically stayed essentially the same. I just tried a product called Wave and its optical character recognition is far superior to whatever I had with Neat. Neat is in real trouble. They probably lost a sizeable segment of their subscribers. I don't know how they're gonna get the confidence level back. I'm sitting here with basically two Neats. One Neat is a PC-based and another is up in the Clouds. If there was some way a comparison could be done, to allow for the subscriber to get some type of confidence level that all the files get moved properly into where they should be, then Neat can move on and try to keep whatever people have decided to go to the Cloud, to stay in the Cloud.

The Cloud is a great idea. But they should have probably instituted it earlier. And the other thing is that everybody is going now to this subscription funding. I figured out that when I bought Neat, I basically just bought the software and that was it. But revenue wasn't being produced by that software after the initial sale. Now, like everybody, like Microsoft, they wanna charge you so much every year to keep that revenue stream up. I can understand why they wanna do that. But they have to tie along into that, a better product and a more reliable product. Also you could not take a photo of a receipt and have Neat operate on it. But with Wave, you can.

I don't even know if they still support the Neat scanners. Also if you have some e-receipts, instead of taking those receipts in manually, converting them to pdf and uploading the pdf, you could just simply print. It would send it automatically to Neat without those intervening steps. So they got rid of that. Neat lost me. I might not even gonna attempt to come back to them.

David,
Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really do appreciate the feedback. We apologize for any uncertainty you had throughout the migration process but depending on the size of your database will depend on the length of time needed for the migration. The cloud based software was announced in 2012: https://www.neat.com/about-neat/the-neat-story/ and in 2016 the company announced the discontinuation of the Neat scanners. We are preparing for a new product to be released later this year with multiple new features to improve The Neat Experience. Once again we do apologize for any frustration this has caused and we are sad to see you go but we do hope that you reconsider.

Thank you for contacting Neat!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I use The Neat System and I like it. But I find it a little bit difficult to find what I need to get. The instructions on the top are a little bit confusing. So, they could update it a little bit more to where it's a little easier to access files and that I can scroll through them easier. The NeatDesk is a good system where you could scan something in and you can process it through with a piece of paper, or you can get rid of it. And that'll go to a cloud system, so it's backed up. I hope they would make how to use the Neat Cloud on-the-go a little bit more well-known because that's not very well-known. Also, when I had a legal case, I sent my whole thing to my attorney, and he had a problem trying to get through and look at all these things because it was slow to him. So, they could also speed the system up. But other than that, they were helpful when I called them up.

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your NeatDesk. We do apologize for any mishaps that occurred when using the software that became an inconvenience. Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Probably the most antiquated un-user friendly piece of junk on my Mac. I can't drag a file from NEAT to my computer or other storage space as I could with the OLD software. Takes forever to process. Unforgiving... No need to go on as NEAT doesn't listen and makes no changes.

Richard,

We apologize for any frustration that was caused from using Neat on your Mac. If you would like, you can schedule a 1:1 training session here: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/02-11-2019 an agent will reach out to you and provide any assistance you may need with the software. Neat is working on many changes and updates to the software to provide the best customer experience. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this may have caused you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I've had my Neat Scanner for so long. I use it to record every receipt that I take. But their older software used to be a lot easier. The new one, I really don't care much for. If you wanna look at an invoice, it's much more difficult to look at the image with the new software than it used to be on the old software. I've also called to complain about some of the features and I've been told it doesn't do that anymore. When they approve a product, they should not get rid of features that people like. The customer service representatives were fine. Except, they told me, "Too bad." That was basically their attitude.

Lucas,

We do apologize for any negative experience you may have encountered with support. Do you have the case number form the phone call so that we can take a look? Additionally, we are gearing up to release a new product this year with many new features and stability to improve the Neat experience. We appreciate you being a long time customer with Neat and hope that you continue to use the product. Thank you for contacting Neat!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

The Neat Desk is a good service. I use the scanning feature and having everything in order the most. It's very simple and it's easy to deal with. I will recommend it.

Ana,

Thank you for leaving a review! We greatly appreciate the kind words and are happy to know that your are enjoying your scanner!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My experience with The Neat Company is very positive. I've been using Neat for a lot of years. And then, I needed to upgrade it because I was doing some more sophisticated things. But the software version that I was using was no longer supported. So, I subscribed to their software support system. I use the system at least once or twice a week for scanning pictures, scanning files and going into folders.

However, an online tutorial would be very helpful - like a YouTube type of instructional thing. To access their customer service was a little bit cumbersome as well. I'm also surprised for a company as big as Neat that they don't have a seven day a week coverage. I'm a tax accountant and a lot of my stuff is done on the weekends. They don't need to have somebody there at 3 o'clock in the morning, but on normal business hours like, where they have some additional coverage. I do not require a lot of customer support but when it's needed, it's needed, and to wait till Monday sometimes is precarious.

Robert,
Thank you for submitting a review! We are happy to hear that you have had nothing but positive experiences with The Neat Company! We do provide a weekly webinar that you can attend here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/5466137789322899714?source=Support We also provide a 1:1 training where an agent will reach out to your directly to get you completely familiar with the software: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/02-19-2019

We do apologize for the hours that are provided and hopefully in the future we can supply more support. Thank you again for the great rating and review!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Have been using this system for year and don’t mind subscription cost vs ease of use. The software to scan offline but always sync. Since getting Win 10 and Mohave the scanner won’t work > 2.5 hrs. Remote support session they can’t get it to work. Not the scanner as I can run it on Win 7 with Neat 5.7. I am afraid to upgrade the software on this machine. The scanner may stop working.

Anthony,

Thank you for writing a review. We do appreciate the feedback. We took a look at the open case that you have with our support team. We will have an agent send you the Driver that we currently have that will connect Mojave and your Neat Scanner. We greatly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we appreciate you choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We use our NeatDesk every day for scanning various documents for our business. With it, we organize the documents we have by customer and by date. It makes our processes more effective. We use the Neat Cloud too. However, we have to contact The Neat Company very often because there's an issue with their software. They fix the issue when it comes up, but they haven't permanently fixed it. Though we've interacted pretty well with their reps, with that bug they aren't fixing, we are considering moving to a different company.

Jared,

Thank you for writing a review! We did take a look at your case history with the Neat Company and see that you are experiencing issues with your items being stuck in processing. We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you but we can definitely help you to resolve the issue if you happen to run into it again. Please let us know and we'll be happy to take care of that for you. Also, you can utilize our free Desktop Scan Utility here: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/ which may help resolve the issue. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I used to be able to send any document online and email directly to Neat, but that doesn't work anymore. What I ended up doing now is crunching everything out and scanning it. I'm wasting a lot of paper now, having to print everything out. Most days, I use NeatDesk's scanning feature, mostly for personal and business needs. I don't like keeping paper, so I scan everything and then shred everything. With it, I have less paper to store and have on hand. I find the process too slow though. When I scan something, I have to go and do something else while waiting for it all to load and register before I can come back and enter my data. It is very annoying. They just took forever to bring their system in line to work properly with Macs. They were way behind with the Sierra update, but with the last Mojave Mac update, they've been much better at getting on top of the issue.

Gail,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really do appreciate the feedback. We do apologize for any frustrations you have encountered while utilizing the Neat software. Luckily, we were able to get a driver that worked along with the Mojave update and we are gald to hear that the driver has been a success! Thank you for choosing Neat! We greatly appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I saw the Neat Scanner in the store and bought it. I do daycare and I thought that would be easier for me. I haven’t figured out how to use it though and I gave up on it again. It has been frustrating. They should have a disc that I can watch and has steps on how to use Neat Scanner exactly like the Books For Dummies, but a Disc For Dummies. Also, it took more than six hours when I got it signed up. I don’t have that time. The lady on the phone was very nice though.

Carmen,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We have taken a look at the case history you have with The Neat Company. We do apologize for the amount of time that was needed to process your order. If you do need any additional assistance with the Neat scanner and software, you can reach out to our support team here: https://support.neat.com/ You can also set up a 1:1 training with one of our agents so that you can have a full walk through of the program: https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/01-28-2019 We also have a weekly webinar that you can register for as well: https://register.gotowebinar.com/rt/5466137789322899714?source=Support Once again, we greatly apologize for any frustration this may have caused and we thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I got tired of seeing all my receipts floating around the truck. The NeatDesk puts all my receipts and all my paperwork in one place. I just use the scanner and put it in my system. I tried the NeatCloud, but it was a pain in the butt so I quit.

Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you are still utilizing your scanner and are enjoying the service that it provides. If you are having difficulty using the cloud based software then you are more than welcome to set up a 1:1 training with one of our well trained support agents.

We also provide a free scanning utility that you can utilize for easy scanning: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

Thank you again for writing a review and thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

You guys know that no one would have bought your scanners if you would have been transparent about requiring people to use your subscription-based software crap! This scanner was not inexpensive or cheap and you pretty much said screw the customers. Bad business. I hope you die a quick industry death like Gateway. CRAP!!!

Dee,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not requiring any of our Legacy customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

If you would like to utilize our scanner without purchasing a subscription, please refer to the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also provide a free scanning utility: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/install-new-neat-scan-utility/

If you would like to purchase a Neat subscription for a special price, you can take a look at the link here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Like many others that purchased their scanning AND organization SOFTWARE PACKAGE back in the company's "early days", I'm way beyond disappointed that after upgrading my computer I am being FORCED into a "Cloud-based subscription". Basically I have an expensive paperweight at this point. The company is basically forcing me to look at other companies with better options. What a brilliant customer service strategy to force loyal customers that supported your product & service in the beginning by FORCING them to buy into the subscription service or seek other companies products & services. Genius.

Eric,
We apologize for your frustration about the Legacy software no longer being supported. The company announced the retirement of the Legacy software back in 2016 and we are continuing to evolve to provide the best service to our customers. We are not forcing any of our customers to purchase a subscription with the Neat company. We do have options for our Legacy customers to choose from so that you can utilize your
Neat Scanner.

Once again we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We originally had gotten NeatDesk for personal use. And then, we started our own business, so we transferred it over to using it for our business. We use it to keep records and scanning receipts to be able to locate them and keep them organized.

Susan,

Thank you for writing a review! We really appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you are staying organized with Neat!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

The NeatDesk is great. I’ve been using it since 2012 and it has worked really well. I bought it with the scanner as I wanted to get away from paper files like monthly bills. And this is my second one. I scan a lot of documents and spend an hour once a month scanning them. My wife pays the bills, she gives all the statements to me, and I make sure that in a year or two, I know exactly where to find them. But although the scanner is a good feature, it’s hard to find the scanned files. Also, they could improve their customer service a bit. It was okay but not excellent. I recently had a problem and it took a while to get fixed. But I’m really happy they fixed it.

Erik,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback. We are happy that you enjoy using your NeatDesk scanner. We apologize for the experience you had with our customer support team. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration here at Neat. We appreciate you being a customer of ours and thank you for choosing Neat!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I'm so aggravated. There should be an option for ZERO stars. I've purchased two very expensive Neat scanner over the years and now there is no way to download the software onto my new computer without buying a subscription? What a joke. I even subscribed a few years ago and ended up cancelling my subscription due to its poor functionality. Now I now own two useless pieces of junk without the software. You can't even talk to one of Neat's customer service agents without a subscription. Why on earth would I want a subscription at this point? Buyer beware.

Elizabeth,

We do apologize for the inconvenience but we no longer provide the Legacy software for download. Please take a look here for more info about our retired products: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/

Even though you are now interested in a subscription with Neat, you are abelt o utilize your scanners without the Neat sofwtare : https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/

We also offer a free desktop scan utility that you are able to utilize with your Neat Scanner: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/request-neat-dsu-beta/'

Once again, we do apologize for any frustration this may have caused.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I as many others on this site joined Neat early on and was excited about the possibilities and ease of the product. The product itself did not really operate as well as promised and as others have said, the consumer gets caught in a bait and switch subscription plan. I gave away the product over a year and a half ago. There was no data stored in my account. Recently I received a threatening email saying I owed them money, not for the time I used the account, but in the last 18 months when I never used it. I asked them to send me some authorization that I renewed my subscription (which they couldn’t). I finally talked to a “supervisor” Ivan, who said he would cancel it today if I paid them money. Don’t use this company.

Anita,

We do apologize for the frustration this may have caused you. We have taken a look at your case history with the Neat company and we cold locate your account. We see that you have signed up for a subscription back in June of 2017. During the set up of the account, there were terms and conditions that had to be agreed upon for your Premium Yearly account. Once a year of service passes, your subscription will automatically renew. Please take a look at our terms and conditions here: https://support.neat.com/terms-and-conditions/

When taking a look at your case history with Neat, We did not receive any communication about cancelling your account until 1/3/2019.No communication was received for the year of 2018. Once again, we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I started using Neat on January 1 of 2012 and I have used it ever since. I scan every receipt from personal to non-personal. I have the setup in categories just like my tax forms. I can also look back at an instant and tell what I paid for gasoline and how many gallons. Also, I can tell at what convenient store in 2013 and on any given day. It is very simple to do a search and to find any information that I saved. I can categorize things as simple or as complex as I care to do so.

But, I spent a few years trying to decide whether to go from the Legacy up to the Neat Cloud. I read many negatives but very few positive feedback. I decided that with my experience that I’ve had Legacy for six years, I felt it was worth the chance. So, I took the opportunity and purchased the Neat Cloud on January 1 of this year. I have learned how things were gonna be a little different between the Legacy versus Neat Cloud and I also wanted to have access to customer service. I have used them quite a bit since the 1st of January and they have answered every question completely. They have been very good at it.

Moreover, I like the mobile scan feature of it over the Legacy. It is very simple and I can take a picture of the receipt wherever I am at and it is uploaded to the cloud. And whenever I get a chance to sit down to the computer, it is there. I can make sure it is categorized correctly in the system. I like that I can have receipts and documents emailed directly to Neat versus having it emailed to my regular email which I import over into Neat. I also like that I can email directly from Neat which also saves a step. As of today, I do not think that I’ll ever look back. It was a good step to move to Neat Cloud and it’s just perfect. That aside, I have told my friends that they could not go wrong by choosing Neat to do their stuff.

Brian,

We greatly appreciate the time that you have taken out to write a review. We are very glad that you have liked the transition from the Legacy software over to the Neat cloud based software. We are still improving the product and hope that you enjoyed the many new features that are on the way. The mobile scan feature is definitely very convenient when on the go. It is a feature that makes it easy to scan receipts when you are not by your scanner. Thank you so much for choosing Neat!

No response received
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Updated on 01/07/2019: Since I was busy over the holidays, I was unaware that there was a 3 day response window and after reading the response from NEAT, I feel compelled to answer the obviously ridiculous and very misleading statement that was used as explanation to my initial review. First and foremost, the software provided was not a "gimmie" for purchasing the overpriced scanners. If I buy a gallon of paint, I do not expect to pay $700.00 for the brush, but essentially that is what NEAT did. The initial software (before 5.0 and above) was bug ridden garbage while that with much improvements made over time, was developed to be what it is today with user feedback and multiple requests for enhancements.

Basically, we were the Guinea pigs of a much larger perpetrated scam which would lead to the "cloud" based pricing plans that are now offering. After all, the much touted software in the cloud is or was, identical to what we had on our desktops. There was other competitors offering better and more accurate scanners with exemplary software for almost the same cost with usually much higher and consistent reviews. (And...not available in store, when I had to purchase one on the road, thus why I was stuck buying NEAT in the first place.)

Secondly, the software should still be available but they also know if it is offered, nobody is going to buy into this "cloud" theory because a person could easily do all of the scanning offline, store it in our own clouds or PC, email it, export and import data as we all were able to do before the last version of the desktop software was removed from the website altogether. NEAT made sure that there was also no going back on versions and used strict version control to ensure that if you did not have a prior version installed, the "updated upgrade" would not install. I still have two versions of 5 and neither will install because I do not have the original apple cart of installations that took place before them, to get it to the last released version. Of course, Windows 10 support was never in the cards fully anyway, so I get it.

Thirdly, there were no super awesome support staff to help me because most of it was done by myself, sifting through months and a couple years of saved data files and then going through them all over again, re-entering the data that was not processed correctly the first time around, and hoping it all came out like it did before. No luck. Just broken entries, missing pictures, scrambled text, missing custom categories...etc...a corrupted DB plain and simple. Luckily though, I had stored a DB file of each software release, in each of its own folders on a hard drive that was specifically set for vaulted and secure backup in RAID configuration.

I can assure you that $1,000.00 ea. server hard drives in RAID configuration had nothing to do with corrupting the once perfect data saved. But...to no avail. When we were all basically locked out of our software, none of that work mattered and I was already moving on to something better which is QuickBooks Self Employment. I use a Brother scanner to PDF the receipts, send the multiple receipts to QuickBooks via email and poof! Done deal. All for $5.00 a month. They even have an app on your phone where you can snap pics of your receipts the same as what NEAT used to provide until greed overtook them.

In closing, NEAT has desktop scanners (at one time almost $700.00 with software when I bought mine and is now considered a "legacy relic with absolutely NO support") that rely solely on cloud based architecture for $200 and up which are useless without subscription. In my honest opinion, they are essentially already a dinosaur compared to the offerings of Brother, Fujitsu and Epson, which are smaller, quicker, cleaner and more reliable with actual software suites free of charge to do an entire plethora of scanning tasks with every option available to do with what you wish with your scanned data. At any rate, do not participate in this one armed bandit of endless rabbit hole subscription based garbage. At some point, you will become "Legacy" like the rest of us and all you will have to show for that ill spent money is an oversized paperweight. Had somebody told me that NEAT would go the route that.

Original Review: As typical with all "grassroots" companies, the user base who buys these overpriced products bear usually the burden of grasping onto technology in infancy stages. I was one of those people and was absolutely enamored with the ease and accuracy that my scanner and phone app produced the scans and then of course, transcribed the data not only into readable format, but expense reports that allowed a vast pool of organized chaos for thousands of dollars of receipts that I had to turn in monthly. I had paid for my scanner and the service was part of the very steep price, to which I enjoyed the option of uploading and allowing 1 guest (my regional boss) the ability to view those same categorized and itemized expenses online via a guest account. It simplified our communications while I was on the road for great lengths and gave her literal live updates of my spending, expenses and budgetary numbers.

The option to allow multiple users/email accounts to access this data and other enhancements were simply an added basis for cost and of course, since I did not need all of those bells and whistles for multiple users other than myself and regional, I enjoyed the product I paid for at its minimal base of options that fit my needs perfectly. All data was stored on my computer in their proprietary DB format and I had multiple backups of enormous size and value. Then as progress dictates, 5.0 and above, started slowly but surely, the mandatory subscription based premise and magically, corrupted all of my stored data and my online data, which then became irretrievable.

After several correspondence emails and haggles with support, I was able to retrieve my data (because I will NOT be forced into a subscription plan holding my data hostage) and then was confronted with the fact, that after upgrading the software (stupidly) there was no going back and the stored data would not correctly display any longer, nor provide much of the key values that once were as accurate as typing it in manually. For a brief second, I thought that perhaps the subscription plans would be of benefit so for the first time my curiosity got the best of me and I looked at the range of ridiculously and unreasonably priced plans for just simple use of the app on my phone and of course, scanning directly to my computer.

A monthly based subscription plan mind you, that was never part of the initial purchase but now a forced option to use the product I had spent so much money on. As an individual user, with no usage of the product other than scanning receipts for the company I worked for on purchased items and not of any business or personal business use for myself, the prices were simply unreasonable cash grabs. I would strongly recommend staying away from this bait and switch company, its overpriced scanners and subscription plans, because in time, they will once again throw you over the barrel of corporate extortion to view or use your data as the sub prices continue to rise beyond reasonable amounts.

My wish, if I could turn back time, would of been to purchase instead, the one of the other numerous scanners (with superior scanning and OCR technology) and avoided completely NEAT altogether. NEAT basically took advantage of the ground floor users, pursued their true goals of profiting massively after holding data hostage and are failing miserably because of it and I could not be happier. Stay away from these snake oil merchants unless you love self punishment and have expendable cash for their data extortion "upgrades".

Chuck,
We apologize for any frustration you may have encountered while using Neat. It seems like you are one of our Legacy users. When purchasing your scanner initially, Neat provided a software as a courtesy to keep you organized. We have since then retired the Legacy software and retired scanners as well. We have grown into a company that utilizes a cloud based software for the convenience of our customers.
When using the cloud based software, if your Computer crashes, you will have full access to all of your data from any browser at any time. Neat does NOT hold data hostage at all. With the legacy software, all data is stored within that software. We have multiple techs to help you retrieve the data on your computer as long as your hard drive is not completely wrecked. Its seems like our awesome support team has helped you within this process but we have sent you a message requesting your email address that is registered with Neat so we can take a look at your case history to make sure your issue was resolved completely.
With each subscription, we allow multiple benefits. The more benefits the customer has, the more the subscription will cost. I apologize that you are not enthused about the price of your subscription but if you would like, you can contact our support team at any time and we can have your account cancelled or discuss other subscription options with you as well. Also, a subscription plan is NOT mandatory to use with your neat scanner. Please access the link for more information: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/using-neat-scanner-without-neat-software/
A subscription is only necessary if you would like to store your data to the cloud based software. We even offer a desktop scan utility that is free of charge that you can locate here: https://scanutil.neat.com/

Once again, we apologize for the experience you may have encountered.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have been a Neat user for many years, that ends today! Neat 5 was great. You could choose what was on Expense Reports, work offline and would adjust receipts scanned sizes for attachments; example adding 4 small receipts on to 1 page. New software does not even organize receipts by date on expense reports. As per Neat Tech Support this has been going on for 2 yrs. Future version will be completely "cloud" based. Charging an annual fee for a inferior product is criminal.

Jeffrey,

We do apologize for the feature that is currently unavailable. We are in the works of making many more updates to the product to provide the best service to our customers as possible. Our cloud based system has many benefits including being able to access all of your saved information on any browser at any time. Even if your computer were to crash, you would still have access to all of your documents while using the cloud based system. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we appreciate you choosing Neat!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I got NeatDesk for all the receipts and stuff that we have that need to be organized and filed. I use it at the end of the year for accountants, just for when we take in our income tax. I also use it a little bit for business cards. I wish it would work a little bit better with my Fuji scanner. But it works, just not perfect. But the customer service reps always solved the problem and always figured it out. Sometimes, the same problem comes back, but when I phone, they figure it out again.

D.Allan,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are happy to hear that you have had a great experience with our customer service agents. We do apologize that the product has been less than perfect but we are working on multiple updates to keep our customers happy. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My humble opinion and I believe the following: I spent a lot of money about $500 for the ND-1000 scanner and they were helpful in the past. Now it seems they could care less about you and want to push to seek their subscription using the excuse of the legacy software they don't support. I have wasted hours trying ON MY OWN without Neat support to get it running. What a terrible experience and I WILL NEVERRR BUY NEAT AGAIN. I will file complaints with the FTC, Attorney Generals office, US attorney generals office etc. You sold a product and it's not right you don't have support software for it!

John,

We currently do offer limited support for our most recently retired products. When taking a look at your case history with our team, we see that you are requesting the link to download our Legacy software. That software is no longer supported as you can see here: https://retiredproducts.neat.com/. When purchasing your scanner, the software was provided as a courtesy along with your purchase. If you are still having issues with your scanner please reach out for support here: https://neat.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/2917963-limited-legacy-support-faq

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have a lot of records and I wanted an electronic filing system so I got NeatDesk. I scan in receipts. I also did consulting for many years. So, I scan in my consulting work and I haven't been that happy with the product. When I first got it, the way it was set up was that you scan in documents. Since then, they've had a facility to scan in PDFs and whatever, but it hasn't really been well communicated. And so, I'm still scanning in page by page. At times if I have my consulting documents, I don't even bother using Neat. I just use Windows scanner because it's just too many pages to put in.

I also had an issue where the default was changed, so it wasn't combining documents. And so, even though I thought I was scanning in a whole document, it made it page by page. It's very hard to reach customer service. My Neat product is also not compatible on the new computer, and the files went to the Cloud. Part of the reason I wanted it was to have my documents on my desktop, not the Cloud so all in all, it really hasn't been a good experience.

Rochelle,
We greatly apologize that you have been dissatisfied with the product. You are in fact able to combine your items into one document for easier processing. You can take a look at this article here: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/change-separate-combine-processing/

The article further explains how to have the combined setting before scanning in your documents. If you ever do need help in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to our support team at https://support.neat.com/

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

We've been with The Neat Company for three months now. My son has a machine and I have a Brother DS-40 and we both felt that we could scan and get all our things in order. However, we don't use them and they're just gathering dust. But The Neat Company has good customer service.

Rosalie,
Thank you so much for leaving a great review! We really apprecaite the time that you have taken out. We are hapy to hear that you are pleased with our customer service.

Thank you for choosing The Neat Company!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I needed to save space and NeatDesk has done a very good job. I use the scanner and the storage six times a week, and I am satisfied with it.

Lenny,

Thank you for the great review! We greatly appreciate you choosing Neat! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the service

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My initial experience with The Neat Company wasn't very good way back. My son was recording his receipts and I bought the more expensive Neat Scanner. I installed everything but it never asked me for the number on the machine. I was supposed to get a year free. I paid $400 and some for the scanner with the thought that I would be getting $100 back on that. Also, I had a Mac and Neat was not compatible with it. I couldn't get messages back on the email or the chat and they would never respond to my notes. It was also very cumbersome to transfer what I scanned to a file because I scanned so much. And then it would cut off because I had too many scanned. And then we were gonna move so I quit keeping up with everything. I finally gave up.

I then moved for a second time, and I was gonna try to start scanning again. Coming back to The Neat Company after not doing anything with it for a year, they've been really helpful. I use the Neat scanner for personal home records and paid for a year's membership to try to figure stuff out. There must be some way I could scan and save it to Dropbox. Nevertheless, my recent talking with people at The Neat Company has been incredibly good and helpful.

Cheryl,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review. We really appreciate feedback you have provided. We have tried very hard to improve the service with multiple updates to keep our customers happy! We are glad to hear that you have chosen Neat! Thank you again!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I saw some ads of The Neat Company years ago online and investigated it by checking out reviews. I decided that I would try it for a little while. At that time, I had a DJ business and I got interested in the organization and the elimination of paper. I was swamped with a lot of expenses that, at the end of the year, when I did my taxes, I had a shoebox that was completely stuffed with receipts, contracts and print-outs from the business. I had to go from one to three shoeboxes at one point in my career and I thought that if I could get rid of all the shoeboxes, my house would look a lot neater and I would fit back into my tiny office.

I use the NeatDesk every year and I use it particularly for any tax-related item. It also allows me to sort it out by category. I have an electronic checkbook where I can compare the two figures -- what isn’t in Neat would be in my checkbook, and vice-versa. This year, I added a folder that I called Family History and I came across some very old letters from the 1940s that my mother wrote to her father. I scanned those and I made a copy. When we travel, I take my computer with me and I also have been using my phone for the Neat Cloud on-the-go.

It would be very welcome, though, if The Neat Company would keep up with all the Mac changes, but they don’t. As a result, Neat is slow about that and when Mac went to High Sierra, it took them months and months. Neat developed a workaround rather than making the software compatible, particularly the Neat mobile scanner. There were so many problems with it that I had to call the NeatDesk and they had to take over my computer and do the little magic stuff there. And now, Mac has gone to a new operating system and I can’t upgrade to Mojave because I rely on the Neat, and it’s not compatible. The other problem is I bought a new HP printer, and it is not compatible with the Neat scanner. If I’m going to use the Neat system, I have to disconnect my printer in order to use Neat because it crashed the entire program.

It is a real pain in the behind to have to disconnect my printer to use Neat, not to be able to upgrade my software or my operating system, and stay behind the curve with the Mac system. It’s to the point that if I could find something that I didn’t have to do so many workarounds and it would do what Neat does, I would move to that almost immediately. In addition to that, I just received the up-pricing from Neat and I had to subscribe for another year to a higher price. I’m paying more money, but I don’t have something that is working the way it should work. I like the convenience and I like what Neat does, but if there’s another program that will work better with what I already have, then I’ll jump ship. I’ve been a Neat customer for a long time, but it’s something that I will do if Neat can’t keep up with the curve.

When Neat works, it works wonderfully and it does a great job, but you gotta be willing to submit yourself to pain and occasional calls to the tech service and try to work through everything that will make it work. If the modifications were made, I would be very satisfied overall with Neat, but without the modifications, I am very dissatisfied.

Less Holliday,

We genuinely apologize for the frustrating experience that you had with Neat. We have been actively working with Apple to keep up with the continuous updates so that our customers are satisfied.

We have recently received a driver that is currently in Beta that can be used with Mojave. If you would like to use the driver, you can find it here: https://support.neat.com/ . Please note, the driver is in BETA.

We also apologize for the price increase for your Neat Lite plan. We are working on upgrades, fixes and multiple new features that will improve the system even more which led to a price increase for all plans provided by The Neat Company.

Again, we do apologize for the issues you have experienced and we thank you for choosing Neat!

The Neat Company Company Information