3.02/5
Based on 193 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 18, 2018

934 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 26, 2018

I am furious with Neat! I paid good money for this scanner with the software and used it for years and now I have to subscribe to a monthly subscription to use the software? What kind of crap is that? I paid for this product! I should own it! I will never recommend this product to anyone, actually I will discourage anyone from purchasing this product. I don't how this is even legal! Just wait and see where greed gets you in the end. Very dissatisfied.

Hi Terry,

We're sorry to hear you got information that seemed to indicate that we are not allowing our users to continue using the retired software. While it is not going to receive updates or enhancements, you are free to continue to use it.

Should you need support or a download for the software please contact our support team dedicated to our retired software at 855-910-6328

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you resolve with the Neat software.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I've used the old Neat software and I was very happy with it. I used it pretty often. After any meeting, I would have address cards and be able to quickly and easily scan them. Then I'd have them into my Apple address book on my computer. I was able to scan documents, too, and email all of them almost effortlessly. Those were wonderful features.

But now, with the new software, it absolutely does nothing for me and it has damaged my operation. It affected a lot of other things and I'm prepared to change it and go to Fuji at this point. There was a button on the former software where I could move my address cards into my Apple address book. But this new one doesn’t have that. There's a whole separate program for that and I can't use it as the address book that I normally use. Then, I worked hard with one of their techs on the email feature. He gave it to me and got me there but it's such a complicated thing. After scanning a document, there is a kind of an advertisement for Neat then you have to push a button and it downloads your document. It's not good and I wouldn't use it. So the two reasons I would use the scanner for are of no value to me now.

Hi Joe,

We are sorry to hear of your frustrations with the current software but we wanted to let you know that we are working on several improvements which include bringing back some features of the retired software later this year as well as adding brand new features. If you like the new features when they come out, we'll be happy to have you back!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 23, 2018

I purchased the machine to scan receipts for work and personal. It worked great. Now, I just changed computers so the new software won't work. There is no way to make the machine work unless I subscribe (that is pay the extortion fees) for cloud-based software. This is disgraceful, do not buy this machine, never do business with this company or any associated companies. Send a message. I will gleefully smash the scanner into a thousand pieces with a sledgehammer to express my frustration. Conduct like this should be illegal and punished by imprisonment!

Hi Robert,

We appreciate your feedback, but we are not able to locate a case interaction for you. You may certainly continue using your scanner with Neat's retired software as long as you like. To clarify, Neat does offer a cloud service which does require a subscription - do you know what version of Neat you currently have installed?

If you are in need of assistance with the retired Neat desktop software, please go here for community based support: https://neat.desk.com/

If you need any other assistance, please reply with your previous case number or create a case by visiting the following link: http://support.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Original review: March 22, 2018

WORST COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH. I BOUGHT $500+ NEAT Device - now it worthless. Either I have to sign up on monthly membership, or my Scanner/device will not work. Totally rip off. I bought NEAT to scan document as needed.

Hi Fred,

We'd be happy to help you with this. You can request our older software that does not require a subscription by calling us at 855-910-6328. If you're using a NeatConnect scanner you can also request help for that scanner on the same line.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I was doing paperwork before in trying to keep track of my household expenses and I thought using the Neat scanner might be a better way. But using it hasn’t been easy. I went through a very frustrating time where I was ready to take it to the dumpster and throw it away. When we got our tax computed, Apple asked me to upgrade my operating system in that computer. So, I upgraded the system and immediately after I did that, the Neat program didn’t work. Then, Neat had no fix for me and they didn’t care if they fixed it so that I could use it.

After I complained to Neat about it, they said I could still use the program but I had to use the Neat Cloud. I had to go through an excruciating thing around Christmas time because all of the records that I had somehow had to be transferred in some way to go to Cloud. There was a lot of cropping and pasting and whatnot to do that which took more than a couple of days. One of their guys did most of the transferring and it was a little bit of a pain. It didn’t happen smoothly. We did it between Christmas and New Year's while I was on vacation. I thought I would be able to get the things back together and be able to set up my last six months of records but he didn’t get the transfer finished between Christmas and New Year's. It was quite an experience to get transferred over, get set up, and make the program work again.

Also, even though I purchased what was a premium package for customer service so that they would answer my questions, when I would phone them up and want to talk to them, they would immediately give me a Dropbox thing, then I got to talk to them for a minute, and they disappeared. It was like they were serving three customers at the same time and I felt like I was in the loop. I'm in Canada and they were in some place in the States so we got this going on and it took a long time to resolve an issue. I didn't like the speed of their response and I was all ready to cancel the premium service. That was not customer service, that was customer aggravation. In the end, we got the Neat program working again but I had to be patient. Also, the new software is better than the old software but the verdict is not in yet. I'd like to feel that I'm getting the premium service that I'm paying for.

Hi Sherwin,

Thanks for your honest feedback. We take customer service and support seriously and your feedback helps to improve. Since January, we've taken steps to improve getting to a live support agent and getting the help you need once you are speaking with an agent. We hope you'll see the difference should you need to call us again.

If there is anything you need help with now, please let us know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: March 19, 2018

I needed a Neat Scanner to help keep my business organized since I do home inspections and there’s a ton of paperwork. Basically, I just use it to save reports. I've used my Neat Desk less than once a month and I should use it more often. I'd tell people that the Neat Desk is worthwhile.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for trying Neat. We're happy to hear it is helping you keep organized.

Original review: March 19, 2018

We have been with Neat for at least a decade. We had the original small scanner & the desktop program. We loved it and used it weekly for our home based business. Then the cloud version happened. I have never been so angry at a program in my life. I cannot list how many issues I have had with this conversion that are never fixed with updates by Neat. I will list the most frustrating ones here, but rest assured there are many, many more.

1st, the cloud program online is terrible. It's completely different from the old one, which is fine if it has better features. It does not. It has less features than the one I've used for years. The steps just to re-enter & save the information for an incorrect receipt is ridiculous. With the desktop program, you just enter the info and move on. The online cloud version has you enter the information, click next, hit save and then move on to the next. If you accidentally hit save BEFORE you hit next, it will save and then return you to the original list of receipts instead of moving on to the next one in line. 2nd, the new desktop cloud app is awful as well. The layout looks great, and it looks like it functions better than the online version and more like the old desktop version, but unfortunately I have installed it on two different computers, and the receipt images NEVER show. I can't even use the program on my desktop because of this.

3rd, I can't get any support because you have to PAY to get support after a year even though I am already paying monthly for the awful online app. 4th, the iPhone app is just another story altogether. I can only scan 6 receipts in a row before it shuts down on me. I usually scan my receipts in bulk, and this is driving me nuts. I could just keep going, but you get the picture. A long time customer who expected a great receipt app for the cloud... terribly disappointed. We wasted our money this year. I have given feedback, and I have patiently waited for updates to all of these issues. NOTHING. Nothing has changed.

I scan thousands of receipts every year, and this is not ok with me. We need a reliable program that actually works as well as your www.neat.com website does. What a beautiful website. Terrible program. We will be switching to an iPhone app only program that actually works. I'm so disappointed to leave Neat. I thought you would have gotten your stuff together by now.

Hi Valerie,

Sorry to hear you've run into issues with the software and mobile app. We understand the frustration and will be reaching out to you today to assist in troubleshooting and resolving those issues.

As a Neat subscriber, you have access to our tech support team and can call us at 888-898-3253 or reach us via email or chat: http://support.neat.com/support/contact-support/

Our team is ready to help with any issues you encounter.

It has been some time since our last update but please know that we are working on updates to improve the cloud-based software and also bring back some of the more popular features from the retired software.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I am an IT provider for over 20 years. Never in the 20 years of being in business have I seen such a terrible bait and switch. They baited in me with a great scanner with decent software and then pulled the rug out from under me by trying to force me into a subscription. This is a horrible business practice and this company should be ashamed of themselves! HP, Brother, Canon, Fujitsu, Konica, Epson...the list goes on and on. All of these companies allow you to purchase the product and then use it as part of your purchase price. None of them FORCE people to pay extra fees to use the hardware they paid for. This business practice is tragic and not only have you lost me as a client but you will also be losing every client I have as a MSP provider. I am not alone in my outrage and I will be spreading it to all of my peers and we will collectively never be recommending this company again.

The Neat Company response

We're sorry to hear you feel that way, Lonnie, but we are not discouraging anyone from continuing to use the scanner and software that came with it. You are free to do so without paying anything to continue with the older software.

The new software runs with our cloud services and we do charge for those cloud services but you also get access to your data from virtually anywhere, a secure online copy of your data should anything happen to your computer, and our mobile app to access and add new data while on the go just to name a few benefits of having a cloud subscription.

We also provide a support line for the retired software. Should you need it, please call us at 855-910-6328 and we'll be glad to assist.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I use NeatDesk once a week for scanning checks into folders and creating reports for my own information. The biggest problem with it is syncing. I have two Neats and one is for my personal use. I'm a volunteer treasurer for a Senior Association and I can hardly use Neat as I have everything work out correctly. It mis-syncs between whatever the online version is as to the online cloud. And I got to go back and fix things a couple of times. When the syncing didn't work, and when they were changing versions to go from the desktop version to the online version, nothing worked.

Also, after I do the scanning, I never know exactly where it's going to land. I finally figured that out on this new version. Neat didn't explain to me that I have to either highlight wherever I want it to go, and that doesn't always work. It seems that whatever I scan last before I start scanning, that's where it's going to plop everything regardless of what I might be looking at after. It always defaults back to what I scanned the previous day. But the customer service people are good. In more than one occasion, they've gone into my computer and deleted files in order to get it to work. At one point, they spent four hours getting stuff that got lost in the syncs back into the program again and to the online version.

The Neat Company response
It's great to hear how Neat has helped you keep things organized. We're also happy to hear how in spite of some technical issues, our support was able to give you the help you needed to keep the sync running correctly. If you ever need more help please let us know or contact support via phone (888-898-3253), chat, or email:

and we'll be happy to assist.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought The Neat Company to scan my receipt back in 2008. However, I left it in the container and I got it on the shelf at home. I was going to use it but I got very busy in my trucking company and I totally forgot I even had it. I first bought the premium thing and then I called the gentleman that was helping me set it up. I wasn’t sure if he had the right cord connection or not so we had to download the app and set it up. He visited with me about buying the business one which would probably be way better for me, which I did. I got the refund on the premium and then we bought the business app.

I worked with 2 reps and the first one was wonderful. He explained what was going on and reassured me that I could get what I needed and that the machine would work for me. I would just have to get into an upgraded program, which was a relief because I wanted to start using it and get it, and he was excellent. And when I called the second one, he was also wonderful and he went through everything with me. Their customer service is very reassuring that anytime I meet a problem and especially with the business edition, I would get one-to-one help which I really need. I was glad that the rep spoke with me about that and I feel much more confident in getting the benefit from it.

Still, I was very mad because when I tried to download the disk on my computer, it wouldn't download because it was not supported anymore by Neat. I was very upset, but I was mostly upset with myself for not starting it right away. I didn’t have time and it was my fault for not downloading right off the bat because if I had done that, and if it was in my computer, I still could have used it that way. There would have been upgrades that I could have gotten. There was no way I could get it to work without being able to get the disk to download and it wouldn't. I called Neat and I emailed them and they got back to me which is great.

I would recommend Neat to anybody. I haven't used it yet but I will use it and use it a lot and I'm glad to get it. I do my books all longhand and I devise my own bookkeeping system, and it's very good. I made it enviable to any trucking company but it's not on a computer and I don’t know how to make a spreadsheet as complicated as that is. I'd have to take the lessons on that and I wish I had time. The Neat Company is going to have webinars. I haven't attended one yet but I will on the next one and I'm looking very forward to it.

The Neat Company response

Hi Grace - thank you for sharing your Neat related story with us! We certainly apologize for any frustration experience you had attempting to get Neat installed, but we are thrilled at hearing your excitement at getting the most out of our product.

If you ever need assistance or have questions, please reach back out to us and we will be happy to assist. Have a great day!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I've had the Neat copier since they put them out. I have a small business and I use Neat every week mostly for scanning and putting things away for documentation. I got two of them in the office, one in the back and one in the front. I have the business card thing where I could flip up to it real quick. I also fill out the spreadsheet when the taxes go in the wrong places and I clean that up for the reports. Everything goes to the Cloud so I look at it once in a while. Neat's products are worthwhile buying as they help to organize and categorize spending.

Hi Robert!

We appreciate your sharing how easy it is to use multiple Neat scanners to stay organized. Glad to hear you are able to take advantage of how easy and convenient it is to access your data from the Cloud without having to be at the computer where you originally scanned your data.

Let us know if you every need any assistance and enjoy your day!

Original review: March 11, 2018

We bought a Neat scanner back in 2011 after seeing it online. I use it for two weeks every year for tax purposes. I scan all my receipts for the year and then I use it to compile all the information and send it to my accountant. I used to manually have to do it all. But this way, I like that there’s a copy of it so if my house burned down, there is somewhere we can go and still have all our receipts and stuff.

I had to get a Cloud subscription because I had an issue this year. I got a new computer and my screen is small, and I wasn't able to get it to do a report because I could never get down to the button to say “Okay” to push through with my report. I’ve got this year done although I haven’t had to fiddle around but it was great in the fact that I kept having major issues trying to get the full setup. It took some poor soul a good three hours or more by remote on my computer to get everything set up for me so it should be fine now. The Neat Desk will add up everything that I have in product supplies or office supplies or postal shipping. It puts it all together and makes it so much better. I tell people all the time that I like it because it’s more secure. And now that it’s in the Cloud, it’s even better because it’s not just on a computer somewhere. At least there is an opportunity in case something ever happens.

The Neat Company response

We're glad to hear how our support team was able to help you get everything set up correctly. Thanks for sharing how the cloud keeps your data safe should anything happen with your computer. You can always access your data from the mobile app or any browser to make it easy to get to your data even when you are not home.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a new scanner and would bite the bullet to upgrade to Neat Cloud. I saw reviews and the new feature seemed good. Ability to use any scanner and email and use an app to upload receipts is very useful. I followed the instructions to start the sync and upgrade process and it has now been 5 days. Started 8am Monday Morning. It is Friday 7pm and I still have not been able to get the system to completely sync (That is what the tech support agent told me). I spent 3 days with tech support off and on having them tell me the sync we not complete but the Software says it is and the system stopped syncing. Also my new scanner does not seem to work with the software.

Today was the last straw. When I called in to get assistance I waited for 30 min to get someone to pick up, after going through the you have not completed syncing ritual. The tech would not even attempt to work on the scanner issue because it was 8pm and he was now off work and they were closing. I have never heard of such a thing where Tech support will not finish helping a customer at the end of a shift. I am glad this happened during the 30 day trial because it shows me that they do not want new or existing customers. Gimmicky functionality will just take you so far with customers. I can live without the picture and email uploads but need the software to work with my Scanner.

Updated on 03/17/2018: I am writing a new review since it is still not resolved and cannot update a review unless I mark resolved. I called tech support again today at 3:09 pm. After still not being able to get my files to sync. We did a screen takeover for 4 hours with still no resolution. I found that he was working on multiple customers based on when I asked a question I got the following. "neattech+7- I was just caught in one of our customer". The issue is complex and I know that he was doing his best to resolve the issue. The way I know it is missing data in because I am in the Process of having to do an export of PDF because of this issue and I already lost 2013 files. and I did a file count and compare it to the # in Neat online.

Again once 7 pm was reached the Tech had to quit working on the issue and would try to call me on Monday. I told him was not possible since I also have a Job and just happened to be able to work from home this Friday. I have wasted to much time at this point and I do not recommend anyone migrate to Neat Cloud since it has been 2 years and they still have not figured out how to service the customer with the new model. and are unwilling to work overtime at all to get the system running.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Jay. First of all, we'd like to apologize for the long hold time and then not getting the help you needed when you got to an agent. That is certainly not the way we normally operate. We will be happy to look into this and help you get the support you need to finish migrating your data to the cloud-based software and service.

In order to do that, please send a private message including the email your Neat account is under as we were not able to locate any account under the email provided here. Also, please let us know the date and time you called so we can investigate and correct that in the future. Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2018

When I bought my scanner it failed on the 4th receipt. I was 1 day into my free trial and after hours trying to get the issue resolved I decided it wasn't worth the time like I thought it would be. Then months later long after the trial was over they started charging my card. I called for a refund and they wanted to give me a pro rated refund FROM THE TIME I SIGNED UP FOR THE TRIAL. I never received a replacement unit so I never logged into the account from the initial setup. Logged in, scanned 4 receipts, scanner failed, never logged in again. Then months went by they charged my card and wouldn't refund. Then to boot I tried to log in. It says my account is not set up contact customer service. Pathetic, unprofessional, waste of time. I wouldn't bother unless you have numerous free hours to waste on failed troubleshooting, poor customer service and want to throw away 500 bucks to get ripped off for another 170 later. Jokers.

Hi Melissa,

We can look into this for you. We see you signed up for a free trial and agreed to the terms and conditions which include an active subscription if the service is not cancelled within 30 days. Our records indicate you never contacted Neat to cancel the service. We also sent 3 emails regarding your payment prior to the charge being processed. We can still offer you the pro-rated refund. Perhaps you contacted us under a different email. If so, please provide that email so we may investigate for you. Thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My father had been using NeatReceipts then I mentioned that I would find it useful and he bought me one for Christmas. I’m a physician and there’s a lot of paperwork that I’d rather not file but just scan and then save the PDFs. My previous method was just stacks of paper and Excel spreadsheets, and using Neat is much easier as long as I name the files properly. I’ve used it for my tax document purposes, I’ve also scanned a few photos and now that I've just done the upgrade for the mobile app, I've taken some pictures of files a couple of times.

If another colleague needs a file on a particular patient, I can just quickly find it and e-mail it to them rather than dig through files and find it. I use Neat Cloud when I'm not near my desktop and I'm just looking for a file. There were a few weeks when I was very frustrated with the software. I couldn’t get it to work on my desktop and there were two weeks where I couldn’t scan anything. Every time I downloaded the software, everything would install but I couldn’t get past putting in my name and password. Still, I would tell friends that Neat Desk is a great product. They just have to make sure they get the version that will let them have the app on their laptop as well so they can use the scanner too.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, Marla! We love to hear how Neat makes it easy to find and share items when you really need them. Glad to hear you're taking advantage of the convenient mobile app features as well.

Should you ever run into problems with the software please don't hesitate to contact our support team at 888-898-3253

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have had my Neat Desktop Scanner Legacy Version since 2014 with no problems until I tried to use it recently and was not able to unless I downloaded their new Cloud Based Software and signed up for a monthly plan. I do not want my information in a Cloud and I do not feel that they have the right to force people to do this. I understand that they no longer support the old version, but old school people like myself and others should be able to use the scanner with the original purpose that they bought it. Saved on my hard drive and not in a cloud. Their support team will not even listen, just repeat the same thing that the old version is no longer supported.

The Neat Company response

Sorry for the frustration, Jennifer. Our main support line is dedicated to supporting our current cloud-based services but we have opened a support line for our retired software. You can reach that support team at 855-910-6328

Please see this for limitations of support with the retired software:

Original review: March 7, 2018

Have owned the Neat Scanner for a few years and very frustrated. Takes WAY too much time to figure out, ie., simple reports. Instructions are too vague. I have the 5.7 v. Now that I have retired I thought I would take time to work on it again. Still can't get a simple report and tech support wants you to purchase a 'plan' to speak with you. Next step, this thing is going in the trash bin.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your candor, Michael. We'd like to let you know you can get tech support for the Legacy software (including Neat 5.7) by giving us a call at 855-910-6328.

We're also working on enhancements to our current software that will make it easier to use and get help within the app when you're not sure what to do. It may work better for you and you can always try Neat free for 30 days to make sure.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Like another reviewer I also have two Neat Scanners (the Portable and the desktop), neither of which were inexpensive. Now I can not use either as The Neat Company are forcing those us who purchased the products thinking that we would be able to use them in a standalone mode. I have contacted tech support and was told that I could use the legacy SW but I have had to replace my PC and now have upgraded to a 64 bit from a 32 bit windows system - the SW DOES NOT WORK. I do not care to store my information into your cloud and I am very upset with your company for taking this action. Be assured that if there is not a solution to fix this problem you will have lost a customer forever. I only wish that there was some higher authority to address what you have done to your customers. I am Very dissatisfied with your company as I now have two useless scanners.

Hi Ken,

Neat has options for customers aside from subscribing to our current cloud-based service.

Option 1: Continue using the retired desktop software

Option 2: Migrate to the Cloud Powered Software

Option 3: Continue using your Neat scanner without the Neat software

Comprehensive details for each option listed above are outlined in the following link:

***Customers that choose to remain on the legacy software are also eligible for a 1x support session to assist with retired products installations, scanner setup, and database recovery:

Original review: March 3, 2018

I use NeatDesk as a central place to keep things like invoices or receipts associated with cars, home maintenance, boats, and utilities so that I don't have paperwork that I have to carry. It's a great way to get organized as it relates to all those paperwork that you might have sitting in.. I'm a legacy user but I started having some issues with the system that was on my computer. I knew that there was an option to go with the cloud solution so I went down that path. However, I had some questions about it and then I had some difficulty trying to sync it so I ended up calling the customer service. And I got taken care of last night. The gentleman migrated everything from my old system to the new system and got my scanner working again. I would recommend them.

Hi Russ,

We're glad to hear you were able to get help to make a smooth transition from the retired software to the current cloud-based software to keep things organized. You also have the added advantage of accessing your data from virtually anywhere when you need it. We hope you enjoy all the benefits of our Cloud service.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I scanned a lot of invoices and bills and legal documents into Neat. A pop up came on from Neat to update and would cost $10,00 app. a month I did not want so I X it. When I went back I lost it all. Called tech support no help at all. All they wanted was for me to buy a plan. The company is not reputable was my experience. I'll use my flat top. I know the information is on my computer, and I can get it. DON't buy NEAT.

Hello Arthur,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience. After looking into your account, we see you signed up for a free trial but did not continue with a subscription plan once the trial ended. Also, we see the data which you thought was lost still remains in Neat's cloud - which is an advantage if you ever had an actual system failure and did lose your data.

If you are interested in retrieving your data - we can certainly assist with that process even without signing up for a plan.

Have a great day!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

A week and a half ago I had to make the decision to upgrade my Neat Cloud software. I researched other options but decided to stay with Neat even though I have no need for my receipts to be in the Cloud. A week and a half later it is still syncing. I started working in the new software today only to discover that they didn't add all the important features of the old software to the new software. You can't split a receipt without scanning it in twice or three times if needed. You can't duplicate a receipt. I called tech support to find out their solution. They have no solution except scan it in two or three times. What?? Is there a way to duplicate a scanned receipt? No. What? I am one who deals with hundreds of receipts and I am talking to a company that supposed to be helping us with this. No help there.

I would not have bought into this situation if they had told me of these issues up front. But they are selling a product so it would not benefit them to tell you. So warning to those that are considering this software. The Neat company or software does NOT save you time. I have now invested many hours into an activity that used to take a short time to take care of. BUYER BEWARE: DON'T BUY THE SOFTWARE.

Hi Debbie,

We're sorry for the inconvenience. The split feature for receipts is not currently available but we are working on updates that will include some of the more popular features from Legacy that have not yet made their way to the cloud-based software. At present, you could either rescan the receipt or export it as a PDF and import it back to create a duplicate of that receipt and then edit each one as desired. We did not find an account for the email you listed here but please send a private response with your email so we may add a credit to your account for your troubles. Thanks.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I signed up for their free trial and attempted to cancel but was still charged. The cancelation process was confusing and although I thought I canceled I did not. The company would not refund me. The product is inferior to their old product so they need to resort to deceptive marketing and hope you forget to cancel. Find an alternative. Do you really want all your transaction information scanned to the cloud anyway? Probably not.

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear you were not eligible for a refund but hope you are able to make the most of Neat Cloud. One of the best and most useful features is the mobile app included which lets you view your data on the go as well as add new items with the camera on your phone: https://www.neat.com/helpcenter/get-the-neatmobile-app/

If you need them, our terms and conditions are posted here:

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

We purchased two Neat scanners, the small portable one and a desktop one. These were NOT cheap by any means. Now I basically have TWO scanners that are useless and wasted several hundred dollars. How can NEAT ethically now require us to also pay for a cloud service? We got a new computer and now there is nowhere to download the "Legacy" software. The new computer doesn't have a disk drive to install from a cd. So now we are forced to either pay for a cloud service that we neither want nor need OR we have to purchase an external cd drive. This is a scam. It is highly unethical to change the terms of the products we originally purchased. It's all about greed as far as I am concerned.

We are not comfortable keeping our financial documents in a cloud. With our company, we are not allowed to keep our clients' personal information in "a cloud" However, if we were, we already pay for cloud service with our Microsoft account and with Dropbox. We do not need to pay for yet another cloud service especially since we aren't allowed to keep our customers' personal information in a cloud and absolutely don't want to keep our own financial data in a cloud. Too many services like this get hacked these days. We should have the right to opt out and still have access to the original software for which we paid. I'm seriously thinking that this is a breach of contract. I shouldn't be forced to spend more money nor forced to participate in a Cloud service that I can't participate in to begin with.

Hi Sheila,

While we use high encryption standards to protect all data on our Cloud we do understand your concerns about cloud security. We don't force anyone to use the cloud. We do, in fact, still make the Legacy software available. Please contact us at 855-910-6328 and we can provide the download and assistance installing it as well.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have a Neat Scanner I had purchased a couple of years ago. Neat forces you to set up a cloud account just so you can install the scanner on a new PC. There were several major issues and various problems with installing the Neat Scanner driver on to my new Windows 10 PC. After several attempts, I was unable to get my scanner to work or to sync accounts from Neat Cloud onto my new PC. Immediately following installing Neat scanner driver, my new PC crashed completely and I had to take it in for repair. I ended up having to do a factory reset, which means I lost all my files and I was without my computer for a while. When I did get my PC back, I was unable to get the Neat Scanner to work with my Windows 10 computer. I did not want or use the Neat Cloud Service. I only wished to be able to use the existing scanner that I had already paid for. I have year’s worth of documents and receipts in the Neat database. I found it really useful.

The new trial account I had set up did not sync with my existing Neat Scanner. I did not use it. I did not even know that my credit card had been charged for a whole year of Neat Cloud service until I just got my credit card statement. It is impossible to actually get through to anyone on the phone via their automated switchboard system. It has literally been a few days since the end of the trial period and the Cloud Service has not been used. I have tried contacting Neat to cancel and ask for a refund, but so far, no luck.

The Neat Company response

You do not have to set up a cloud account to continue using the software that came with your scanner. However, if you choose the 30 day trial of our cloud service, it will activate your account if you do not cancel within the 30 days. We did see the cases you opened and an agent will be contacting you today to assist you with technical issues or billing concerns.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I signed up for Consumer Affairs just so I could slam NEAT for its business practice. They exhibited at a legal trade show that my company produces, so I bought their basic scanner product for my personal business receipts. A year or two later, the scanner stopped working because they switched to a SaaS model, requiring me to pay for a software subscription. That is complete BS and I would NEVER do business with a company that does this.

Option 1: Continue using the retired desktop software

Option 2: Migrate to the Cloud Powered Software

Option 3: Continue using your Neat scanner without the Neat software

We also offer support for our legacy software so you can continue to use it without a cloud subscription.

If you'd care to take advantage of that, you may call us at 855-910-6328.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I'm a truck driver and Neat helped me keep track of maintenance and expenses. When I'm out on the road, I gather all these receipts. I used to scan those receipts on the Neat scanner but I noticed that it never gave me the correct detail and sometimes, it gave a different date. It also didn't give me the taxes. It just randomly chose numbers and was not working properly. So I needed to manually separate taxes. Then, if I was scanning something that was 3" by 3" and I put it in the system to try to make a copy of it, it would blow it up to 8" by 11". It was distorted and it was not what I want. It was a hassle, too.

I signed up for the Neat cloud last month because I wanted to use the scanner that I already have and implement it. The online service worked well and with it, I didn't have the issues I was having with the scanner. So I'd have to use the online service and pay a monthly subscription in order for the scanner to do the job it was meant to do. Otherwise, I'd have to do everything manually. After I saw the way it was working, I got pissed off. I was already paying a few hundred dollars for the scanner and it should work the same as if I did things online. So I decided to cancel and I'm not going to do business with The Neat anymore. I'm going to look for somebody else.

The Neat Company response

Sorry to hear you decided against using the Cloud service but we now have a Legacy support line that can assist you if you are having trouble with the older software. Please give us a call at 855-910-6328

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Neat Receipts software and scanner was my favorite tool. Saved me hours of time. I recommended it to all friends and family. NOW, the software will not even open and let me use it without setting up an online account, paying for updated software, and allowing Neat to 'save' all my data on its allegedly secure servers. My product is now USELESS. I want a refund or fully updated software I can use offline, privately, to scan MY data and MY receipts.

Hi Barrie,

We'd be glad to help you out. We see you are using the legacy Neat software and that you originally set up an account about 3 years ago. Please contact us on our new Legacy support line for help getting the software running on your computer. You can reach Legacy support at 855-910-6328.

Thanks,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been using the Neat Desktop Scanner for several years without any problems and I loved it. It was so efficient and easy to use, both for storage of information and printing out reports. Now, all of a sudden my computer says it is not connected or the driver is missing. I am not sure how I found a techie company (not sure because I have been online with them for the last 18 hours and am lucky to remember my name.) Thank goodness all of my folders and information had been synced to the cloud, because at one point they had lost all of the folders and their contents. I had to tell them that everything had been saved to the cloud.

They said they finally got it fixed but in fixing it they downloaded the trial of the new software. I did not know this until the day after this was done when I got an email from The Neat Company. How do I get my old software back? Or can I get it back. Do I have any choice but to use the new software? The name of the company is "premiumtechiesupport." I felt like this was a bait and switch sales scam. They could not do anything without my purchasing additional software. They made me feel like I really did not have any choice. I really do not think The Neat Company has built their business and reputation on this manner of doing business. I am thinking seriously of turning this over to my attorney. I guess I will get used to the new program, but I do not like it at all. I especially do not like being tricked into a monthly payment for the new program. I would gladly go back to the old program if I have a choice.

Hi Joanne,

Glad to hear the older software worked well for you and you were able to save all your data on the cloud. I've never heard of "premiumtechiesupport" but we have our own tech support so they would not be trained to work with the Neat software the way our own agents are.

If you need further assistance please contact us at (888)-898-3253.

I see you are currently on a free trial (which expires March 7 and then converts to an active subscription) so you can use the trial to see if the current software will work for you in addition to the cloud benefits that allow you to access your data from any browser and add data on the go with the Neat mobile app.

Thanks,

Neat Customer Care

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

Scanning a PDF results in huge files (4 meg compared to Epson scanner 8 kb, same 2 pages scanned). Have not found a way to lower the DPI setting. I've submitted questions to the forum, but they don't show up. Would like to reduce the size of the files to something manageable. But if not, I'll stick with my Epson.

Good question, Jay.

If you're using the latest version of Neat there is currently no option to change the resolution or file size. I've added this to our feature requests for future updates. There are several features we are planning to add to the current version later this year.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Case #**: "Loss to Legacy Program and Inoperative Scanner Driver". Look to your Salesforce cases. I have fully documented my problem there. The most deplorable situation is Neat's bait and switch business practice that sold us a Windows-based package and pulled the rug out from all of their customers for an inferior cloud service for a very expensive monthly/annual subscription.

Hi Bruce,

I checked your case and we'll be contacting you shortly to help you with downloading the legacy software and scanner driver.

We also opened a Legacy support line so you can also reach us at

855-910-6328