3.36/5
Based on 186 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

988 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 13, 2018

I've had The Neat for years and then I had a little problem with it where I've been slotted out and lost all my documentation when the state wanted to see it. So, I called up and I got a wonderful girl. She worked with me for three weeks to get my stuff straightened out. She was wonderful, very polite, very knowledgeable and got all my stuff over into the new application. I run for the DMV on PA and we log all of our paperwork for the file transfer. So, I get my workers to go into the Neat system after everything’s done and put all stuff. We run everything through the Neat to go into the Cloud, so if we ever have a question, we can go back and look something up. I've experienced good benefits using The NeatDesk because if something happens, we have everything right there that we can just access. I'd tell others that purchasing The NeatDesk is a good thing to do and it's great for business. My experience with The Neat Company was wonderful.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your review, Marianne!

Original review: June 12, 2018

When I opened my business a few years ago, I got bombarded with emails and flyers about what I can use for it. Because I'm completely unorganized, an accountant’s form of organization is boxes of paper. I file all my own stuff and I used to have all paper and pen. But the quicker I can snap a picture of something I don’t have to worry about losing, the better. So, I got Neat and all I do is take pictures for what it's from, either business expense or paying other people or invoicing.

I use Neat on a daily basis and I like it because it keeps a hold of my receipts. It's immediate. I scan and even if I'm doing it on my mobile where it says it's pending, it doesn’t take any time to get it. And usually I can't sit down and get it anyway. So it sends and alerts me that it's no longer pending. I can go in there and send it to the right folder and then later I can go back in and add anything I need added on it. It's very user friendly. Also, anytime I had any issues the reps have always been fast and friendly to help. I've had Neat forever and I don’t wanna pay for it because apparently they started to have new stuff and I don’t need the new stuff. Other than that, if you're considering it, use it.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for the review, Jennifer. We appreciate your support!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Horrendous experience! Used Neat for 6 years with no issues. Then one day... Part of my db files were missing. Good thing I had Carbonite back up? Hell no!! The Neat tech could not restore my files from my Carbonite back up. He said I should have used the Neat Cloud. Lost 3,800+ documents used for clients tax prep. Total disaster. CAUTION: DO NOT USE NEAT!!! Get a scanner that saves directly to pdf files so you can easily retrieve from any cloud back-up. NEAT is costing me thousands as I need to contact clients and bother them to send 3 years of tax documents so I can rebuild the required back up. Going to use ScanSnap ix500. I would give a negative 20 stars if available.

Update Mike:

Here is a link from Carbonite if you need help restoring your data:

Original review: June 10, 2018

Really disappointed to have to change to the Cloud account. Now the cloud version of app is cumbersome to use. I still prefer the functions of the desktop version but it seems the company doesn't care to update that anymore. The desktop version has more useful functions, visible options, is more responsive and better overall ease of use.

Hi Creighton,

Thanks for the review. Processing in the cloud is a little different, but we are always improving. We also have heard your requests to bring back tools to edit your lists and are working to bring that feature back in a future release.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Neat Desktop - I bought this a few years ago. I didn't use it much. I hooked it up and started using it and love it! I had to call Customer Service and they were a great help! I use it daily now and really enjoy it! Thanks NEAT!!!

Hi Troy,

We appreciate you taking time to leave a review. Thanks for the support!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: June 9, 2018

Made the move to cloud and it was really cumbersome. I ended up in a chat with IT and they had to take control of my laptop to complete the transfer of data. I like the new system, although the verification of receipts is slow.

Hi Frank,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We recently had a spike in processing items which cause a overall slowness. The system has returned to normal and you should see items processing normally.

If you have any questions or additional feedback, please reach back out.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I can’t even use my Neat scanner anymore all because they’re charging for everything now. I don’t even need the services. Sometimes I just need a basic scanner. We’ve had this scanner for a while and I was never required to use the services before until now. Disappointed. Throwing mine away.

Hi Abbi,

Neat has options for customers aside from subscribing to our current cloud-based service.

Option 3: Continue using your Neat scanner without the Neat software

Comprehensive details for each option listed above are outlined in the following link:

***Customers that choose to remain on the legacy software are also eligible for a 1x support session to assist with retired products installations, scanner setup, and database recovery:

Original review: June 8, 2018

I do not like vs 5 as well as the previous version. This version takes longer to process the receipts, there is no "tool" item to edit the vendors, credit cards or accounts. Very dissatisfied with this version.

Hi Darrell,

Original review: June 8, 2018

Receipt images do not appear. Receipts often go to the wrong category. No way to alphabetize contact list. Often have log on twice. Customer support if you can reach them is fair at best. The NEAT premiss, potential and promise are just what I need. It is unfortunate that the results do not equal them. I probably would not recommend the product to others.

Hi Barbara,

Original review: June 8, 2018

I purchased this equipment about 2 1/2 years ago. Initially, it worked (after a fashion). I used it to scan business cards. It would mis-read cards and I had to check each one to make corrections, if needed. It wouldn't work this year and I called in and was told this equipment is outdated and I would need a subscription/update for assistance. I don't need the Cloud or a subscription. I simply need to scan cards to my computer. The service tech sent me the application and driver (which will not load on my Mac) and said that is all he can help me with. So I have equipment that I paid about $300 for, used for approx 6 months of the last two years and it is now extinct. Not happy...

Hi Linda,

We are going to give you a call to help out! Please be on the lookout for our call. We look forward to assisting you!

Original review: June 8, 2018

Neat is a very good product but I would like it if you didn't have to pay to use the cloud to use it. We are on a fix income but love the software. I loved version 5.7. I use the software a lot. The software is pretty easy to use.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We appreciate your candid feedback and want you to get the most out of Neat. If price is a concern, we also have a lower tiered plan called, Neat Lite. Here is a link to our product page to provide additional details:

If you have any questions or need assistance, please be sure to reach out to us!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 31, 2018

Processing over cloud is much slower than old version that process on customer's PC even with a average CPU like AMD FX4100. I already complained to them about it. They didn't give me good answer. They said I could scan files to my PC instead of Neat. That is ridiculous!!! The point of Neat is the organization, easy access to files. They don't have an option to allow users to use their own PC. But they cut corners not buy more computers on the cloud. It is so simple, just add a option to use customer's pc to process files then sync to cloud. It should be much faster.

The Neat Company response

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment with Neat, George. We are interested in hearing more about your experience, as we do not see any support tickets from you within the past year.

There have been changes and improvements to Neat's cloud-services, while we do not typically receive reports regarding a slowness in Neat's cloud-service processing items, we certainly would like for you to give us a try again.

You're suggestion of allowing the user's desktop to process items is an interesting one, and we offered this options since 2012 when we released the Neat cloud desktop software, but that was retired over two years ago.

In any case, there are a myriad of new features coming to Neat, including feature parity with older Neat products and also useful new tools that we know our customers will be excited about!

We hope you give us a second chance! Take care and stay tuned!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 30, 2018

I was an early NEAT customer. Used it every week to keep all my receipts and tax records. Had a problem with the scanner and NEAT support was great and assisted me in getting the problem solved. Fast forward many years and suddenly without warning I get a notice that I can no longer use their product unless I pay $125/year ransom and put all of my data on their “cloud”. If I didn’t want to do that, I could keep using the software I already owned, but it would no longer be supported or improved. (Which means that when Microsoft or Apple release a new operating system it won’t be guaranteed to run on it.)

I’ve been in the IT industry for nearly 40 years, since computers filled big rooms. I have NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED putting all of my bank records, tax data and other sensitive information on anybody’s “cloud”. I don’t know who at Neat thought this was a good idea for their customers. It certainly was a good idea for their bottom line, however assuming they found enough suckers to subscribe to their ransomware. Even more egregious is that since I did not pay the ransom, I can no longer access my Neat account to ask them to delete my information from their system. It is really hard to believe such a good company could have fallen so fast, but I suppose that is what happens when a great small company gets swallowed up by a corporate giant like Intuit.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the review and your candid feedback.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I like the concept of the Neat Company. What I didn't like was having to pay for the Cloud storage. I just wanted to use my computer. I found it difficult to retrieve my files from the Cloud, but finally accomplished it and have not used this expensive equipment since. Wish I could return it but I know it's been too long since I purchased it from Staples.

Hi Nancy,

We are here to help with any Neat related assistance that you might need.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Neat needs to make better scanners that work. Paper receipts consistently get stuck in them halfway through. The Smart Phone process works better. Neat still owes me a $106.00 refund. Where is it? I have been owed this for almost three weeks!

The Neat Company response

Hi, thanks for the review. We sent you several messages indicating your refund is all set to be processed as soon as we receive the two scanners back. If you have any questions, please refer to the emails we have sent you, or you can report back here.

It is customary that we receive our products back to us before issuing a refund. We appreciate your understanding and have a great day!

Original review: May 27, 2018

In today's day and age why is it that I should have to make phone call to Neat in order to get the latest software for my scanner? I have a NM-1000 (S/N:CN0987100004) and I just bought a new laptop with Win10/64-bit and thus need the driver and the scanner software. Can't be downloaded from Neat for some reason. I know this is a legacy device but why make it so difficult. I'm sitting over in Europe now for 5 months and they ask me to call their support line in the USA to get this. And I thought I should be able to download and get going right away to scan some docs here in a hurry. Apparently not with Neat!

Hi Bjorn,

Our latest software is available on our website by accessing the Downloads page:

Please note, your mobile scanner is still supported with the latest Neat software, and you may continue to use your scanner as long as you like.

Option 3: Continue using your Neat scanner without the Neat software

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have two Neat desktop scanners. After they were purchased I was advised that they are no longer supporting the legacy software as they have migrated to cloud-based. I had no intention of paying $10-$25 per month for the privilege of storing my scanned PDFs on the cloud. When I reached out to Neat support I was told that they would allow me to download legacy software and I was directed to a webpage with information how to do that. After over an hour of reading every blog every article every instruction I am not well-versed on how to do it, unfortunately there is no link to the drivers so they can’t be downloaded. They wasted my money, they wasted my time, and they insulted my intelligence.

Updated on 06/08/2018: After calling customer support from that website I was told I would be sent a link via email where I could download the software, no software link was ever sent and now I am going on my summer vacation and unfortunately my fear is that I will have to buy a secondary market software which is very frustrating as I would not have purchased Neat had I known that they were not going to provide me software to do basic scanning.

Hi Al,

Original review: May 24, 2018

The new software lacks functionality that the legacy software provided. I call, and they lead me to believe that they will add it, but doesn't happen. Service techs aren't always friendly and certainly not sympathetic to my cause. The functionality versus the price is poor. I'm currently looking for an alternative. I do not recommend neat.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your candid feedback. Our technicians are certainly sympathetic to your needs and new parity features are coming, but it takes time to build and test. You will start seeing these features added in the coming months, so we appreciate you anticipation and patience, as they are coming!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I needed to scan stuff for my work. I bought a NeatDesk at Office Depot. I use it daily for scanning and I like that I can also find stuff faster with it.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for the review, AJ. We certainly appreciate your support!

Original review: May 19, 2018

My husband and I are in a construction business. We're looking to get rid of all our receipts and the previous method I had was a lot of mess, a lot of envelopes or folders, and a lot of receipts that disappear because the heat makes the receipts' coloring disappear. We upgraded to the NeatDesk which I use weekly. With the new method, I scan, shred, bring it to the recycling center, and I can get rid of all the paper and organize a lot better with the Cloud, so my homebase office is nice. The NeatCloud is great because I can access everything without having to be anywhere. I cataloged everything from invoices to receipts to statements and I’m also linking it to QuickBooks online.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for the review, Rebekah! Neat has some new features coming out soon designed specifically for small business-owners like yourselves. Stay tuned!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I've been a member of The Neat Company for at least eight years. I have had three different machines over the years and I love the products. I had two corporations and I keep a lot of papers from corporations. I keep all my papers in there and when I moved to a new location, I decided to use it. I love the filing system and I know you can do it in other ways, but I found it very convenient. It is an excellent place to save your children's papers. When they do drawings, you can put it in there and you don't have to keep it and store things. It is a great way of storing and cataloging your own life history, as well as keeping all your bills and checks so that you can store them for a year and then store them for a lifetime if you wanted to.

It has a tremendous amount of benefits and you know where everything is. The government asked me for a piece of 20-year-old paper for taxes. And because I put it on Neat, I had it. When I moved, I put all the papers that I didn't recently need at hand onto Neat then the government asked me, and in two minutes I found the paper with the way I categorized it. Also, I've been looking to change the blinds in my window. Because I put the fax of the blinds I bought before into my Neat, when I changed it, they didn't have to come and measure because the measurements were on the original.

I love the sub-categories and the categories. However, if I put a category, misspelled it and put things in there, but then I changed it to the correct spelling, that category name will still remain there. Not only does it use up space, but sometimes, it makes you put the wrong category in. You need to be able to eliminate what you don't need. That's something that would be very helpful for a lot of people 'cause if you have it for so many years, what happens is your categories keep building up. Also, when you use a category for a particular item and that item repeats itself, it immediately fills it in sometimes, but not all the time. Those two changing would make a much more perfect system.

The Neat Company response

Hi Judith, thanks for your support! We are making feature enhancements to Neat in an effort to simplify and streamline processes for our users. We look forward to assisting you in the future!

Original review: May 16, 2018

While trying to inquire about upgrading to a newer version no one I spoke with had any knowledge of how to update from a "legacy, Ver. 5.7" to the newer software version. Everyone was too busy trying to sell rather than support me in my questions. I made three different contacts with the same result. I was promised some steps to follow to research the process but those links either did not work or kept sending me back to calling.

The Neat Company response

HI Curtis, thanks for providing feedback on your experience. We are going to have another representative reach back out to you and assist. Also, here is a link to the download page you were looking for:

Original review: May 16, 2018

The original software Ver. 5.7 I have found to be very problematic. It is extremely useful in maintaining records, but is slow and crashes a lot. Some of this may be due to a corrupted database that I have lived with for several years. (I have been using Neat for about 10 years and have over 11,500 receipts on file.) I am now upgrading--or attempting to upgrade--to Neat for the Cloud and having tremendous problems--most of which are due to the corrupted database. I believe only a few records are corrupted, but Neat does not see to have software to repair the database like Microsoft does with a program offered with Outlook to remove errors and reindex the Outlook database.

I am therefore forced to use laborious workarounds to get the legacy database into the "cloud". The service techs try to be helpful (I believe that they're most likely based in the Philippines) but they are working with the legacy program with software that is far from being well behaved. I am hopeful that the Neat in the Cloud will be a major upgrade and am only making this investment in time as there is really nothing else on the market that does exactly what Neat does and interfaces with Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.

Hi Dana,

Thank you for reaching out. We would like to contact you back to see if there is anything further we may do to assist with migrating your data and answering any questions you might have.

We will be giving a call and sending an email to coordinate with you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I had to have a scanner and I have the NeatDesk. We use it almost everyday and I use almost every features of it including the NeatCloud for my personal business thing. I’m getting a lot of my things put in the Cloud, my family things, history and so forth, and I don’t have to worry about those file drawers anymore. I’ve got scans of stuff in there now that I never dreamed I could have so much space on paper. NeatCloud helps me keep organized making it very easy to find my things. The help that goes with it is wonderful, too.

The Neat Company response

Hi Bessie, thank you for sharing your story on how you are using Neat and they ways it has simplified your life! Thanks for your support and if you ever need assistance in the future, please reach out!

Original review: May 13, 2018

I use NeatDesk around tax time and maybe once a year when grabbing all my receipts and putting them in there, instead of stuff being all over the place. I could usually find what I'm looking for as long as I know what to put in the "search." It’s also like having an email with 3,000 unread emails and I'm throwing away some of the paper like it's someone’s email. I'ved had it for quite some time and then everything went south when they did an upgrade. I must have spent two hours on the phone with them trying to get the upgrade done. They were telling me that I have to buy a new Neat system, but I’ve become accustomed to the old system. Now, since I've had the new one, it's simply horrible to look for certain things and trying to figure out a way to get it to work especially right on tax time. Also, figuring out the way that the format is now just totally confuses me and I don’t know how to use it to its most effectiveness.

The Neat Company response

Hi Alfred, we don't want you struggling to organize your paperwork. Our support team is reaching back out to you in hopes we can help you out. Please reach back out here if you have any questions or know of a time that would work best for you. We look forward to working with you!

Original review: May 12, 2018

When this company started the scanner and data was all in one. They moved to a cloud monthly service. At that point the desktop data was no longer service. Do not buy. You will regret it. The scanner is great, the software is absolutely horrible.

The Neat Company response

Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing. We certainly appreciate your feedback. We certainly don't want you to have a bad impression of us since Neat transitioned to offer a subscription bases software.

Many customers who were familiar with our desktop software may continue using Neat as long as they like without paying for a subscription - there just won't be any enhancements for this version and support is not offered.

If you would like assistance restoring your data, we can help you out! Please visit the following link where you will find a number to give us a call for retired products:

Or, reply back here and we can give you a call. We look forward to working with you!

Original review: May 12, 2018

I like The Neat Company. I’ve tried to switch to other scanners and other things, and they just don’t work, so I keep going back. I’ve been using a NeatDesk for years and use it every day ‘cause I keep up on things. I use the receipt capture and the printer from the report and it’s pretty awesome. I used to record them in a box which was a lot harder. With the NeatDesk I can keep records and then actually give them to my accountant. Then, she just has to figure out what comments to put there and numbers them. It's a lot easier. The NeatDesk works real well and I definitely recommend it.

Hi Skye,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and how Neat has helped you track your records!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I needed a Neat Scanner for my personal business. I use my NeatDesk everyday, and I like every feature of it. I also use the Neat Cloud and it is very good. I'd recommend the Neat Company.

The Neat Company response

Hi Eduardo, thanks for sharing how you get the most out of Neat! If you ever have any questions or tips, be sure to reach out to us or visit our community forum: https://neat.desk.com/

Have a great day!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I’m in the funeral home business and I needed the Neat for closet space, and I was also doing income taxes at one time. I was doing two different things and I would have to have something clever. I’m trying to eliminate filing cabinets and I’m trying to learn how to organize myself, baby steps. I’m just learning how to get in the Neat and do something, but some things are wrong in Neat. I did it and it was my fault, so now I’m trying to go on tutorials, get tutorials and look at tutorials. I got everything set up wrong in Neat. I got a bunch of stuff set up and a bunch of stuff I gotta pull back and pull up. I try to get on NeatDesk every day and I’m trying to learn on how to put the files and stuff and in case IRS comes and calls me, I can at least send down reports.

I need a tutorial to create reports. As I was doing the Neat, they walked me through it and they gave me tutorials online, so I can pull those down periodically. So now, being in cloud, it helps me to go to my home and do it there or when I’m out of town, I can pull cloud down. I was able to access it through a computer. I can go to other places and pull the Neat down and fax some things there because it’s in cloud. My experience with The Neat Company has been great.

The Neat Company response

We greatly appreciate your review, Donald. It's always nice to hear how our users are making the most out of Neat.

If you ever need assistance again, please let us know.

Original review: May 4, 2018

While I was in Afghanistan, with Neat I could scan documents and it went straight PDF to the computer. Way back then, it was pretty hard and Neat makes it a lot simpler to track things and file. We need it every day to keep personal records and I use the scanner the most. I also use it to scan business cards, but I haven't been using that because there are other applications out there that are better.

I like Neat and we own three systems. I pay so much each month and I don't have a problem with that. I know they have the Neat Cloud, but I don't know how to get that to mesh with the cloud that I use so what I normally do is just scan. I see everybody has got their own cloud now and it's too hard to track. We just use the OneCloud and that's why I put our PDF on the computer and then send it to that cloud. I don't need three for the clouds so the updates are not the only thing that I need them in. There was somewhat another way that was simpler. When you buy a new computer, get everything to that computer. Also, when Neat switched to the monthly rate, something happened there that I lost a lot of the data. But outside of that, it's okay.

I wish they also had a way to turn in the old system to get a wireless because they have wireless now and none of mine are wireless because I bought them some time ago. I would upgrade this system if I could since wireless is the way to go now, but the other one still works. I'm sure there's a lot of people like me that would gladly turn in something else. The cell phones do that when you got an older model and you want a new model. That's how you sustain customers.

Hi Daniel,

Wow! What a great feedback, we certainly you sharing how you get the most out of Neat and the challenges you faced. If you would like we can reach out to you and clear up any questions you might have regarding Neat's cloud service. Drop us a line here if you would like us to give you a call.

Have a great day!

PA
19103
www.neat.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business