2.78/5

The Neat Company

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

View More View More

1088 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I knew I needed the NeatDesk when I saw the commercial advertising them and saw how they worked. I saw how they record things for your programs, download stuff for your business and kinda keeping track of everything. Those are basically all the paperwork that I have. My previous method was all paper and a calculator, so the NeatDesk is a lot better. I use it to download all my documents for my business and put them in categories to get ready for my taxes. Although I should use it weekly, I wait until all my paperwork builds up, about two months at a time, before I use it. The NeatDesk is a lot quicker and easier to use. It's also a lot easier to manage what you have on your documents and what you store on your documents, and keeps them running total of everything. If you've gotta look for something, it's right there. That makes it a lot simpler.

I have a lot of stuff on my Neat stuff. I had five years of my business files and taxes on there. Then one time I lost my hard drive on my computer and I had to get a new hard drive put it. A new hard drive was put in, but I never saved the files to the Neat Cloud like I do now. I thought what was saved on there when I saved it, was saved and I didn't do an offline back-up because I had no idea. That was my one little downfall. After going to a computer place and spending a couple of hundred dollars, I got all of my information back, but I could not open up that program. Then I had to call and I had to spend to get the program to get my files back. But the NeatDesk was what saved me because they were able to log in their remote access, and I've got close to almost 4G of all my files back.

Michael,

Thank you for writing a review! We are happy to hear that Neat is saving you time and keeping you organized with your business! Great to hear that you were able to recover so many files after your hard drive crashed. Like you stated, saving your documents in the cloud will prevent losing your data in the future. Thank you for choosing Neat and if you ever need any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out!

No response received
Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

A few weeks ago I started receiving notices that my cloud account, which I didn't even know I had, was past due. Those notices turned into threats. I finally talked to customer service and was told that I owed for a years subscription. I told the agent that I didn't know I even had an acct. When they checked for activity they saw the acct was not being used and told me that they saw there was no data in my account. I was then told that the account would be cancelled and the billing would cease. This was a few weeks ago, yet I continue to receive billing notices and threats of legal action. Originally I wasn't even informed they were trying to bill me until the outstanding balance notices started arriving.

Because I was told that everything would be taken care of, I forgot about it until today when I received a "Final" threatening letter which says they will also charge me $25/month for late fees. I then tried to research my acct but they have locked me out so I cannot gain access to any acct information. I wasn't interested in the data stored because I didn't use the service. I can understand they need to get paid for services rendered or products they provided, but they provided neither. I just wanted to let people know of their use of "Strong-arm" tactics and the non-existent online ability to communicate. If this problem is not resolved as it should be, I will post again.

Hi Greg,

As requested in a private message, we will need the email used for your Neat account in order to investigate this for you. The service provided includes unlimited cloud storage and easy access to the account and similar to your phone service, the subscription covers availability of service for billing period regardless of usage. After the account is cancelled as you requested then you no longer have access to it.

Once you provide the email for your Neat account in a private message, we'll make sure this is taken care of as promised by the agent you spoke with previously.

Thank you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased the Neat system in 2013, without purchasing the cloud service. I have always scanned my documents and scanned them on my computer and then save them to a flash drive. My computer’s hard drive crashed this week, preventing me from obtaining any information from the computer. I have a temporary computer with Windows 10, installed Neat, and there were no files when I connected my device to the pc. I called Neat for help. They did a screen share, and informed me that I had an older version and since I was not in the cloud the information would not appear on the new pc. It’s frustrating enough to have your computer crash, but now they said I could purchase an update to save everything onto the cloud and other devices but I could not retrieve any data from the current Neat system I currently have.

This seems very odd that there was no way to retrieve the information from the device I have been using for several years. I can spend money to save data but my previous data can’t be retrieved from the device I currently still own. This sounds like a way to make more money from people. You purchase the product and are forced to pay to use the cloud. I was able to save some info onto a flash drive but with technology today, I would think the data is still on my system but they just don’t want to retrieve it or maybe want you to pay a large amount to do it, not sure about this but very disappointed. Now I can’t even use the Neat system I currently own because it’s not updated, not the best way to treat your customers who actually enjoy and use your product.

Bobby Gibson,

We apologize for the experience you had and the misunderstanding. We can definitely assist in the retrieval process of data that is in your Legacy software. We will have an agent reach out to you directly for further assistance with the process. We suggest exporting the data to pdf once it is retrieved since we no longer support the legacy software and to avoid losing any data in the future. We apologize again and will work promptly in resolving the issue at hand. Thank you for choosing Neat!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

After using Neat hardware for many years with multiple devices. On 11/16/18 I noticed a pending charge on my bank account from Neat. I immediately contacted Neat to find out what it was. They stated the charge was for an automatic annual subscription for their service. I requested the service to be cancelled and the charge or a prorated amount be refunded. They cancelled the service and told me they would not be able to refund the charge because it was more than 30 days. I explained the charge was just presented today 11/16/18 and is still pending and their response was that it has been in their system for over 30 days.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, they refused but opened a case ** and submitted a refund request. On 11/18/18 the charge cleared and was paid. On 11/20/18 the refund request was denied. No refund has been issued nor has the service I didn't want been restored. After this experience I nor anyone I know will ever use their products or services again regardless of what products or services they offer now or in the future. Bad move on their part.

Christina,

We have taken a look at your case that you had open with our support team. A subscription was purchased for the amount of $64.94/year on 9/1/2017 and the subscription would renew on 9/1/2018. We attempted to collect the renewed payment of $64.94 on September 1, 2018, September 6, 2018, September 20, 2018, September 27, 2018, September 29, 2018, October 16, 2018, October 23, 2018 and October 30, 2018. The payment finally went through successfully on November 15, 2018. Since the payment was due on September 1, 2018, we could not issue a refund due to it being outside of our 30 day money back guarantee policy. We had to collect the payment for the services that were rendered. We also sent over multiple email notifications to your registered email address letting you know of the multiple payment failures.

Please take a look at our Terms and Conditions that were agreed upon setting up your account: https://support.neat.com/policies/terms-and-conditions/ and a supporting article that explains more into the charge that you received: https://support.neat.com/helpcenter/charge-authorization-terms-conditions/ .

Also, your account is still accessible. We have not cancelled your subscription and you can still utilize the service for the duration of your plan. We apologize for any frustration this may have caused and if you would like any additional information regarding this matter, please send us a private message so your account information is not posted publicly.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My girlfriend got the NeatDesk and she told me that I needed one so I also got it, but it was probably one of the worst purchases that I have made. I only use it for household stuff like receipts and contracts. I just put all of my stuff in the slot and wait. Then when I get time, I would scan them. Since I don't use the NeatDesk so often, I would totally forget where the receipt or contract was. And then I would remember that it was in my Neat. But I really could have done without it.

I had an issue where The Neat Company triple charged me so I had to call them and complain. It took me a long time at first. I had to go through my credit card company and they finally ended up refunding me because Neat wouldn't. After all that got taken care of, I tried to reach out again because Neat did it again. Whoever I got a hold of took care of it and was extremely nice. I've had great customer service after about the first or second year that I had it.

Karen,
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review! We apologize for the situation you have encountered. We have attempted to locate previous cases regarding multiple charges to your account and we were unlucky in finding anything related to the situation you are describing. Could you please provide a case number or the email address that was used for your Neat account so we can further investigate and resolve the issue?

We are happy to hear that you have received great customer service and thank you for choosing Neat!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I use my Neat scanner for my income tax, and I also have a lot of medical stuff that I scan into it. Neat said that it works as well as the receipts will work, and I can throw all the receipts that were a pain for me trying to keep up with. I end up putting all my receipts together and then doing it all at one time, so I use my scanner once a month. My son, daughter-in-law and I are fixing to start a business, and so we probably would be able to really use it then. I really like being able to have that organization, and at the end of the year, I print all the receipts out and give them to my accountant. It's so neat and nice.

Emma,

Thank you for the positive review! We are happy to hear that Neat is helping with the organization of the business you are going to start. Thank you so much for choosing The Neat Company!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

My company bought one of the machines and the software was obsolete. We contacted the company. Never got the machine to work so just dropped it. Gave my credit card number and then thought it was over. This happened in January. They just charged me $119.99. I called them and they very nicely said that they would completely refunded. They said that an hour later they couldn't refund the money but they'll give me another subscription. I told him I didn't want this subscription and they basically told me, "Sorry that's all we'll give you." Total rip-off. I never was able to use the machine. It's been 11 months and then they charged me.

J Anthony,

We greatly apologize for the experience you had.

We have reviewed your account history and confirmed that there was never any request to cancel this NeatCloud plan prior to 10/31/2018.

We have also reviewed your case and call from 11/9/2018 and confirmed that the agent did in fact promise you a full refund.

That being said, we will go ahead and process a refund for you in the amount of $119.99.

We really do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please check you email shortly for confirmation and information on your refund.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I use NeatDesk every couple of weeks to scan receipts. I want to digitize them and make it easier for tax time. With NeatDesk, it's so much easier to search and find things rather than going through all the papers. Also, twice I've had to get support and NeatDesk has been very helpful. However, I'm not keen on their Cloud. It's a privacy issue. I don't know who in the Cloud is doing what. Also, sometimes I don't have a good internet connection and that can make things difficult. I would have preferred to have everything on my own computer backed up by myself and under my control but they eliminated that and on the new system, I didn't have any choice but the cloud. I'm getting used to the new system but I really liked the old one.

Jan,

Thank you for the feedback! We really appreciate the fact that you are enjoying the Neat Scanner along with the service. Even though we HIGHLY suggest utilizing the cloud for the multiple benefits such as always having access to your documents on any device and having your documents completely secure on the cloud, you are still able to utilize the Legacy software, you can do so here:

Please note, the Legacy Software is no longer supported and limited support is provided for the retired product.

You can also download the Desktop Scan utuility to your desktop here: http://scanutil.neat.com/ which is currently in Beta. If any additional assistance is needed, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Support Team!

Thank you for choosing the Neat Company!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I used Neat Company's desktop software, which I really, really loved. I would use it every day to keep track of and to sort out my bills into different categories for tax reporting. But they stopped supporting it and got it over to the Cloud which was such an ordeal. It was days and days and days and days of help from them. Th rep was never able to fully resolve the problem and I gave up after a week. Then I needed help, so then I went again and again, it was extremely time-consuming. But I got somebody who could help me and they really had to go through a lot to do it, so I appreciate that.

But now, I can't really use the software of the new version. It doesn't function the same way, so I have to figure out how to get up to speed or find somebody who can teach me or find a new software. It has been much harder for me. First, it took so long to transfer the data, so it really put me behind on my work. And now that it's there, it seems to still not be working correctly. So, I can't transfer digital PDFs. I'm hiring somebody, a computer person, to come and help me to see if we can get it working again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I contacted Neat's obsolete software line after buying a new computer with Windows 10 install on it. After no less than 4 calls, installing new software that they directed me to load I still cannot get it working because they will not allow it to complete the install after contacting the server to register the new software which is the same problem I had with the old software. Neat acknowledges that I was a user in the past but the last call they wanted me to sign up for a free trial of course with my CC so I can have a subscription to get my software working again.

This is just a blatant attempt to move you on to the Cloud service and collect a monthly fee for a software I have already paid for. They are holding my data hostage. But at least I can start my old computer up and covert my files to PDF and get it off their software. I have bought a new scanner from Xerox and will never buy anything from Neat again. Just feel sorry for those who I have read about that can't get the data off the old machine. Don't buy for the Company! I think a class action lawsuit should be undertaken on this Company! And I don't take that tact ever. Good luck with moving all the people over to the Cloud.

Hi Larry,

We're sorry to hear you had so much trouble installing the retired software in Windows 10. You should be able to skip signing in with the retired software and still see any data on the local Neat database on that computer. We certainly do not hold any data hostage. If you can send a private response with the email you used previously for your Neat account we'll be happy to take a closer look at that for you.

You're also free to keep using the retired software if you do not wish to use Neat's cloud service and can also continue using your scanner without the software. See this help article for details:

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I purchased NeatDesk several years ago and used it for my income taxes. I have a very small business and so I would take the receipts and put them in every three or four months. I had done about half of my receipts, and then things fell apart, my husband passed away last fall. I always do the taxes at that time and I forgot again to trying to complete and get the receipts done. I went back to Neat and I found out that they changed the program. I struggled with it for a little bit, and I called their customer service. It's $15 now for a program every month. They said they sent some notices on it, but I didn't receive them. They did the best they could. They were nice and they tried, and there was one guy that worked several hours trying to help me out but it didn't work.

It really caused a lot of confusion for me and I didn't appreciate having to pay a portion of it that I didn't need. Also, their service is doing some sort of organization on this program to help organize and check the accuracy of the entrance of your receipt. I ended up having to go back over the receipts by hand and redo my taxes at the very last minute and gave them to the accountant. Up until that time till they changed the program, everything went smoothly for me. All I had to do was enter the receipts, and they were pretty well-organized, press the button, and I would get my receipts, the total would be ready to the accountant. But this year was a mess.

Apparently, the scanner system and the way they scan changed, and the little scanner that I have no longer works in this program. I stay busy constantly, I don't have time to deal with a lot of changes and upsets, and going back to buy another scanner or figure out how they input now is something that's a big pain to me right now. With coming up here to end the year and I have this year's receipt, there's nowhere to scan them in. I'm disappointed in it.

Janet,

We apologize for the experience that you had in regards to your Neat Scanner. There are other plans that are offered if you do not feel the need to pay $15/month for your current subscription. Please refer to this link for our plan options: https://www.neat.com/plans-pricing/

If you find that the options are not a good fit for you, please refer to the below links for additional infomrtaion on how to use your scannner without a plan with The Neat Company.

We also provide a Desktop Scan Utility which is free to use here - http://scanutil.neat.com/

When taking a look at your case we realized that your scanner was set up successfully and connected to your computer. We will have a customer reach out to you in regards to setting up a phone call to provide additional support.

We do apologize for your experience and Thank you for choosing the Neat Company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I needed to do about a year and a half of scanning all at once. I was doing it all and I wanted to try the automatic aspect of Neat. I already had a year’s worth of scans so I imported a lot of them. Neat gets things right, but some of the times it gets confused. I wish it could define a document type and just have it know that from now on, so I didn’t have to continue to sort through it. I haven't used it as much in the last two months because it doesn’t recognize some of my time-keeping documents as what they are. So, I'm just scanning everything and letting it build up. I'm not using it to populate spreadsheets because of the unreliable aspect of the non-receipt documents. Everything needs to be looked at directly to confirm, but it's still worth it because of some of the time being right is better than me having to look at every single document.

I needed to figure out how to use Neat the way I was trying to use it, and their reps don’t understand fully that users are not going to use different paths based on what kind of person they are. I had someone, too many times, tell me that I just needed to use this other software, which I perceived as being what I had already switched to using. Also, prior to using Neat, I used the CamScanner. When I adjusted my drag to drag the borders around my scanned document, CamScanner had a little circle that pops up and says, “Zoom in into the corner,” that lets me get it exactly where I wanted it to be, and Neat does not have this little zoom. Nonetheless, I'm happy with Neat.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your feedback and review, Tim. We don't currently have an item type specifically for time cards or other time-keeping documents but that is something we can add to our list of requested features for future updates. In the meantime, your best option would likely be to classify them simply as documents.

We are also addressing your scanning concern very soon with a free scan utility that includes the option to crop, rotate, and skew your scans prior to sending them into Neat so you can focus on exactly what you want to capture in your scanned images. We hope you enjoy that when it is released in the very near future.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I had a problem with the first program that Neat put out, they ended it and I had a tough time getting all of the stuff back that I needed. I contacted customer service and they downloaded what they could off the program for me but I didn't get everything. I went back with them, I'm now on their Cloud, and it's serving the purpose of saving paper. What I'm using it for right now, if I can't recover some of the stuff, that might not be a problem. Neat helped me for a long period of time but they need to make sure that everything is recoverable if they decide to end the program.

Joseph,

We appreciate the honest review you have left. The information that you had previously in the software can be sent over to the cloud. All prior documents can be recovered and placed within the cloud. Please refer to the links below for further assistance with the task

Help Center - https://support.neat.com/

Please use the following link to schedule a 1:1 with an agent as well - https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/11-08-2018

Thank you for choosing The Neat Company!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

There should be a law against this. One day you buy an expensive scanner. You never expect that although the hardware is in perfect condition that you can use it with your laptop since Neat decides to drop the software. The download was removed from their website & the disk that came with it requires connecting to their website for something to finalize the install. That doesn't work now. It used to work perfectly fine. No warning, no notice, just gone & now worthless. You can't get to tech support unless you are paying for their cloud premium. It's a vicious circle. The company should be penalized.

Worse, I have my IRS Supporting docs in this Neat database that I have backup religiously, yet it is TOTALLY NOT Accessible because they are preventing us from using what we paid for. Where are the attorneys or federal agencies or can we complain to? I love, loved this product!!! I now hate NEAT!! NEVER BUY FROM NEAT!! NEAT should be forced to put in big letters on all of their packaging "THIS PRODUCT EXPIRES IN X YEARS BECAUSE WE WILL MAKE IT UNUSABLE".

EBAY is selling all these scanners that work fine from a hardware view but you will never get anything to your pc. So if you see these sold or any NEAT product help us get the word out so others won’t be SCAMMED like several of us on here are. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/document-scanners/neat.html. (This is not due to any Windows upgrade. I went back to an older pc & Windows 7 which it used to run on & it won't install there either due to one of the steps in the wizard requires something from the website to proceed. Tech Support has been no help).

Lucinda,

We do apologize for any frustration. One of our technical support agents will be contacting you to assist in retrieving your important data from Neat so you will continue to have access to it.

You can still use your Neat scanner and we provide detailed steps on how to use it without the Neat software if you're not interested in purchasing a Neat cloud account. Please see this for how-to steps:

We retired the previous software over 2 years ago and have publicly announced it ever since then while continuing to provide support until earlier this year. We also provided a detailed FAQ regarding the retired software that has been updated throughout the year and can be seen here:

We have done absolutely nothing to prevent you from installing Neat software on any computer and there are many users who are still using and installing the retired versions of Neat without issue.

You may need to try some of the steps posted on our site to get past a specific error installing on your computer. Hopefully, the following will be of help to you:

as well as

In addition, there is still time to contact our retired software team at 855-910-NEAT for limited assistance with the retired products.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been using the Neat system for quite a few years. The only drawback I've got is that with the Legacy system, you would scan and store all your documents on the computer and then it would sync up to the server. Now, everything goes direct to the server and scanning every document process takes a lot longer than the Legacy system did. Other than that, they’ve done a good job and answered my problems. Everything is going pretty good right now.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, Keith. We hope you enjoy the other benefits of the cloud service such as unlimited storage and the mobile app. We understand your experience with the processing time on the cloud and hope to improve it further but wanted to let you know that we are actually the fastest at processing items through the cloud when compared with our competitors. Our items are usually fully processed in less than 5 minutes while our competitors can take up to 24 hours to fully process scanned data.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

How can you sell an expensive piece of equipment and then one day decide to stop creating software updates?! At least make a way for your customers to be able to access the scanner via the computer without using your software! I have a $500 piece of junk taking up space on my desk that I can't use because your horrible proprietary software and hardware won't work on my iMac. They need to create a bypass so that the scanner works on future iMacs and PCs. Horrible company, shady business practices, evasive and greedy. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS - YOU'LL EVENTUALLY BE LEFT WITH NOTHING WORKING.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, SM. We do continue to update our current software but not the older retired software.

The current version of Neat works on both current Macs and PCs and we also provide options to use your scanner without the Neat software as seen here:

In addition to the above option, we are preparing to release a FREE, brand new scan utility to allow you to either scan to your computer (without a subscription) or to Neat's cloud service (with a subscription).

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

So I purchased this scanner 5 years ago and have loved it! But today I found out it is a Legacy and now you need to purchase the Cloud version at minimum $7.50 mo. No way. I will chuck this perfectly good scanner and start over before I pay Neat for a cloud service that I DON’T need. Last time I recommend this precious little gem of a scanner! Now I call it the Neat Scammer.

Hi Mary,

You do not need to purchase a cloud subscription. As you mentioned, the scanner is perfectly good so you can use it without the Neat software and continue to scan your documents to your computer.

Please see our article on how to use your Neat scanner without the cloud:

Also, please be on the lookout for a new Desktop Scan Utility that we will be releasing very soon at no cost. It will allow you to scan from your Neat scanner and combine pages as needed as well as crop and rotate scans before saving them to your computer.

As you can see we provide several options to continue with your scanner that do not require a subscription.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The Neat Company’s product is good and I use NeatDesk every day for income tax and files. Sometimes, I even use the scanner to file my music and its best feature is that it allows you to scan it into the computer. However, transferring files takes too long. It took me over three weeks to transfer from my PC to the Mac which was a bit of a drag. Still, it's better than what I had before. Since using it, I have to do the taxes like anybody else but I got rid of the receipts and so far, it has been very good.

The Neat Company response

Thanks so much for your review. This is the first time we've heard of storing music within Neat so we're glad you found a new use for Neat. If you get the chance to try the cloud version you'll be able to see files from one computer right away on a different computer since the cloud will make it available immediately.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I use my Neat scanner about two times a week and it makes me go a little bit more paperless. When I run across something that I don’t know how to handle, I give them a buzz.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your review, Ronny. We're glad to hear everything is working smoothly for you. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have had my Neat for several years now. I have a love hate relationship with it. At first when I started scanning documents into the Neat it was great. Now... it is so slow. It crawls along. I keep my trash bin clean. I back up every time I scan. I am frustrated with it and need a resolution. It takes hours and hours to scan because it is so slow. I have kept the scanner in great working condition. I have changed the rollers which was really easy to do. Any ideas are welcomed.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your review. We're glad to hear you've been a long-time user of Neat. There seem to be two possibilities regarding the scan speed.

1. You seem to be using an older version of Neat and may have several older scans stuck processing in the software causing all scans after that to process more slowly as well. Please follow the steps in this article to resolve that:

2. Since you replaced the rollers it should "grab" the paper better when feeding. If pages are taking a long time to go through the scanner there may be a problem with the scanner but if you call tech support at 888-898-3253

One of those two suggestions should help get you scanning more efficiently.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm a paperless person and with Neat it's easier to keep track of things and send information over to CPAs, et cetera. Neat has the scanning capability on mobile and on the desktop. I got everything on my thumb. I’ve been with Neat for a few years. Their accuracy in reporting with NeatVerify, is definitely not where it needs to be. But there are still ongoing issues, so there's some misrepresentation still going on. Their customer service used to be abysmal but their customer service has gotten better. I have seen some improvement there. I continued to renew and I paid $100 just for the sheer convenience of taking pictures of receipts. But I wish I got more out of the things I pay for, like with the Neatverify. I wish they would live up to what they advertise it to be.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for being a Neat user over the years. We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us know where we can do better. We're glad you've noticed an improvement with our customer service and support teams.

We are working on more improvements and updates to the Neat cloud service and we hope you'll enjoy them when released.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’m sick of having papers all over the place and I like the ease of use of a Neat Scanner. I got two NeatDesks. I bought one of them online and another through Costco. I bought one for work and then one for home. I use my NeatDesk every single day for my personal and business finance. I scan receipts and invoices and other sensitive important documents. I use it to organize things. If I need a past invoice, credit card statement or electric bill, I can get at them quickly.

I've used the Neat Cloud on the go, and it’s slow and I wish it is a little easier to use. Recently, I got forced away from the desktop version and had to go to the Neat Cloud version. I wasn’t really crazy about that because it’s a subscription-based service. They have all my documents around the Cloud. I don’t feel I have control over them anymore. But then, it’s gonna be some sort of hassle to download and organize my documents. I feel like I got trapped. I kind of waited out and said, “Well, at least, I guess, the documents are stored safely online.” So, if a computer crashes, I’m not gonna lose all my stuff. I started off with their basic Cloud subscription and it has been super frustrating with the speed in which it processes and scans documents. In the past, I would scan a document, look at it, make sure it’s accurate, and go on to the next document.

Now, I scan a document and it has this processing spinning wheel that spins for a long time. Sometimes, it takes 10 minutes for it to scan. You can’t really scan a lot of documents because then if they’re not scanned properly, then you gotta go find them. I’ve been scanning documents and then setting them aside, let it do its thing, and then I go back and look at them later to make sure everything’s processed right. It’s clunky and it’s not as accurate as it used to be. I’ve had some issues with how it is scanning two-sided documents, blank and white, and inverse color. I’ve worked with Neat's technical support team to resolve the issues and they’re awesome. Their customer service used to be horrible. You couldn’t even get someone on the phone. Now, they call me back to make sure that things are working okay.

I’m working with Victor. He’s like my buddy. I’m busy running my business, so I don’t have time to step through all the steps that he wants me to do to try to resolve the issues. I’ve worked with him for a couple of weeks now trying to resolve this processing issue. He was able to fix my issue with scanning two-sided and in color. But now, we’re still working on the processing. So then, I saw that there’s this Neat verify option where they verify invoices and receipts for you. This is frustration for me.

I upgraded to the NeatVerify, then four weeks later, I got a discount e-mail where it’s like 70% off. It’s 100 bucks. And now, I can get the $100 features for 40 bucks, so I wasted 60 bucks. I don’t even have time to call and complain about it or voice any opinions to anybody. That should be automated. I recently upgraded that and I’ve been a long-time customer that they should rebate me something back. It’s only for new customers. The processing issue has to do with not storing any files locally. They’re stored in the Cloud. If they could resolve that, then the product would be fast and efficient. I wouldn’t mind paying 100 bucks a year to have a good, fast, efficient, accurate scanning document tool. But with it being the way it is, it's a very time-consuming process now. I really wish they would fix the Cloud version of software because it’s been really bad.

Because of the way the software is operating right now, I couldn’t recommend Neat. I want it to work in an easy, fast, and efficient way as it used to be. The customer service has been great though. You don’t usually get a follow-up call from a Cloud-based software company. Neat's customer service resolved two of the three issues that I had. If they haven’t resolved those and happened to be working with me in the process, I would have went to a different direction by now. But because of the customer service, I’m hanging on hoping that they’re gonna resolve these issues with that processing.

The Neat Company response

First of all, thanks for sticking with us, Steve. We are working on improving the cloud service and adding new features to keep you organized and we hope you'll enjoy them.

We also really appreciate your comments on our support staff and your recognition of how much Victor has helped you out.

Thank you for your detailed review. We hope you continue to stay organized with Neat.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have a personal NeatDesk at home that I have had for six years. Then, we got one in our workplace as we have some new practices that went into effect. We were trying to streamline it to get it all organized into different folders on the computer and I figured NeatDesk would be the easiest way. We use it every day. I just scan the work orders and put it where it needs to go. When we did our free trial, I scanned some documents in and I did not realize the permanent one that they did would be in a different place so the rep told me how to get to them and it all went well. Now, I don’t have as much paperwork because I just store it all on the Cloud. The Neat Cloud works great and it makes paperwork a lot easy.

The Neat Company response

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, Lynn. We're glad to hear Neat makes your paperwork a lot easier to manage.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

The Neat Scanner is a Cloud-based service and we got it because of the software and hardware integration. It also has an application on the smartphone. I bought a refurbished model and when I unpacked it, the actual cover of the scanner was wobbled. But even though it has lost its form, it did not affect the function of the scanner. I had an issue with the paper feed in and I solved that by buying the cleaning kit from The Neat website. For many years now, I’ve been using the scanner in accordance with the smartphone application.

I have a very basic usage of the NeatDesk. I scan everything in and put it in folders. I use it to keep tabs of my daily spending and make sure that I have a paper receipt of them. I also use the NeatDesk in case one might ask where someone was and inquire about them as a person, so it's a precocious measure as well. I use the Neat Cloud whenever I have receipt, which is twice a week, on average. With The Neat Company, I have the ability to manage the account administrator and have the list of the people that are in charge of the account. The website allows me to manage my account and the users, and there is the listing of the address and personal information.

So far, I’ve run the scanner with no need to do any maintenance. Unfortunately, a folder got deleted. I contacted Neat through the chat and e-mail and they answered. They proceeded to advise me to install the software application for the Mac in the hope that we would be able to recover the folder, but it was already permanently lost. It was the dining-out folder for the receipts and it wasn't important. But if it was another folder, I would have sent more e-mails to see if it was possible to recover it. Overall, my experience with the Neat Company has been excellent. It’s an excellent product, both software and hardware.

The Neat Company response

Amer, thank you for your thorough and thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing how Neat helps stay organized. Please don't hesitate to contact us at 888-898-3253 if you run into any further technical issues. We are here to help.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I’ve been using Neat for about 8-9 years. I was forced into buying a new scanner, and since have had no tech support. Impossibility to get someone! The scanner nearly never used as it isn’t working properly, the issue is half comes out so so the other half of a 8.5 paper shows nearly nothing. 500.00 Dollars and this product no support nor functionality, not a wonder it was Marketed on The Apprentice, birds of a feather flock together. I’m now in a deadline for my needs and have all my data on the local software, how do and what do I try to convert to? What company? Anyone tips?

Hi Thomas,

We can certainly help you with troubleshooting your scanner. Our records show you have a Neat Connect scanner. Please see this article for steps to calibrate your scanner to improve image quality.

Keep in mind that if there is something going on with the scanner hardware itself, the calibration won't be able to address that but you can also try swapping out the USB cable for the scanner if you are scanning directly to your computer.

You can also reach our technical support team at 888-898-3253 and they'll be happy to assist you as well.

You also have options to export your data from Neat to PDF as detailed in the link below:

Also, for the record, we do not force anyone to purchase a new scanner and we are focused now on our software and cloud service and no longer sell scanners as of over a year ago.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I've had Neat from when it started. I bought it at Atlanta Airport where it's the only outlet at that time. I mostly use it to get check scans so I can find it. I'll use it more once I get my new scanner hooked up to it, but I scan every day. They would call me back when they say they're gonna call me back. Sometimes I'm not available, but they still call back. My experience with them is always good.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for your review, Howard. We're always glad to hear from a long-time customer such as yourself. Thanks for your support over the years.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The Neat scanner allows me to save a lot of documents and it helped out for tax purposes. I like it because I can put my own folders in. I can use it as a scanner for a PDF to attach it to an email. We got two. My husband uses his when he was in real estate. I had the scanner for a while but then my computer crashed and I couldn't reload it. We had one of their technicians load it and it's with the Neat Cloud now and I don't like it. It's always telling me it doesn't sync. I don't go in it that much anymore. I've paid for a year for the Cloud, but I think that will end. I wanna stay on the 5.7 but they said I couldn't. But all the technicians that we've dealt with are nice, friendly and informative. When the girl was getting everything straightened up, she worked on them pretty much all day long. She then would call back the next day to keep finishing all the stuff, so they keep their promises.

The Neat Company response

JoAnn, Thanks for being a long time Neat user. We appreciate your honest review and we're glad to hear our support agents have been persistent in continuing to assist you.

If you're running into any error messages or need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to help and can answer your questions. You can reach us at 888-898-3253

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

So basically I had the scanner for a couple years, it worked okay but then they changed their software model to a subscription you must then continue to purchase each year. I have the hardware still on my desk just collecting dust now. I want to just use it to scan documents but no one will even help figure it out without purchasing their new software. Hell even a broken clock is right 2x a day. This thing is good for nothing now!

Hi Chris,

We'd be glad to help. We did shift to providing cloud services that include unlimited cloud storage as well as options that allow you to make use of Neat without a scanner such as our email directly to the cloud feature, our mobile app, and import file options just to name a few.

If you prefer not to subscribe to Neat to take advantage of the cloud features, please see this page for details of the options available to you:

You can also go directly to this page to learn how to use your Neat scanner without the cloud service:

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had Neat for many years. It worked fine. However, our family moved often and had some serious health problems recently. I called after an annual autorenew and requested that they cancel and prorate the service, and they refused - despite the fact that they could see I had not used the service in about 2 years. They kept trying to persuade me to keep the account and downgrade - and tell me how valuable it is that I still have access to my files for another year. Despite the fact that it was useful many years ago, I VERY MUCH regret having ever signed up for it. There are many less expensive, more reasonable services out there with similar benefits. Do your research.

Hello C,

We reviewed your account and apologize for any frustration. Accounts are eligible for refunds within 30 days of the date the autorenewal is charged. Since you contacted us only 2 days after that period we have processed a refund for you. Please see our email today for details.

We're glad to hear Neat was a useful app for you. Aside from the unlimited cloud storage, mobile app, automatic parsing of data, and integrations with various accounting programs we are also working on updates to improve the Neat experience and we hope you'll find Neat useful again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Back then we thought a NeatScanner would be a good option for keeping records. We now use the scanner very frequently and save everything to the Cloud. We reached out with the Neat Company's reps a couple of times for the different applications we were trying to use and they were very good. We now have better recordkeeping. We’ve been very happy with the NeatScanner and we’ll recommend The Neat Company.

The Neat Company response

Randy, thank you for sharing how our representatives have been helpful and how Neat has been useful in keeping you organized.

The Neat Company Company Information