3.20/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Organize your information, simplify your life!

We believe you shouldn’t have to work to use your information. That’s why The Neat Company has developed an ecosystem of intelligent solutions that transform information into something that works for you.

Neat transforms your digital and paper documents into organized information. Our integrated system of software, hardware, cloud service and mobile app makes it easy to acquire, search, share and access your most important information – anywhere, anytime.

Did you know???

*Legacy Neat Software Users: You are not required to subscribe to a Neat software plan to continue to use your Neat scanner. However, please note that certain versions of Neat software have been retired--meaning there will not be updates or bug fixes and support for these versions is no longer provided.

Please visit http://www.neat.com/helpcenter/neat-faq/#legacy-retirement for more information.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1081 The Neat Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I purchased NeatDesk several years ago and used it for my income taxes. I have a very small business and so I would take the receipts and put them in every three or four months. I had done about half of my receipts, and then things fell apart, my husband passed away last fall. I always do the taxes at that time and I forgot again to trying to complete and get the receipts done. I went back to Neat and I found out that they changed the program. I struggled with it for a little bit, and I called their customer service. It's $15 now for a program every month. They said they sent some notices on it, but I didn't receive them. They did the best they could. They were nice and they tried, and there was one guy that worked several hours trying to help me out but it didn't work.

It really caused a lot of confusion for me and I didn't appreciate having to pay a portion of it that I didn't need. Also, their service is doing some sort of organization on this program to help organize and check the accuracy of the entrance of your receipt. I ended up having to go back over the receipts by hand and redo my taxes at the very last minute and gave them to the accountant. Up until that time till they changed the program, everything went smoothly for me. All I had to do was enter the receipts, and they were pretty well-organized, press the button, and I would get my receipts, the total would be ready to the accountant. But this year was a mess.

Apparently, the scanner system and the way they scan changed, and the little scanner that I have no longer works in this program. I stay busy constantly, I don't have time to deal with a lot of changes and upsets, and going back to buy another scanner or figure out how they input now is something that's a big pain to me right now. With coming up here to end the year and I have this year's receipt, there's nowhere to scan them in. I'm disappointed in it.

Janet,

We apologize for the experience that you had in regards to your Neat Scanner. There are other plans that are offered if you do not feel the need to pay $15/month for your current subscription. Please refer to this link for our plan options: https://www.neat.com/plans-pricing/

If you find that the options are not a good fit for you, please refer to the below links for additional infomrtaion on how to use your scannner without a plan with The Neat Company.

We also provide a Desktop Scan Utility which is free to use here - http://scanutil.neat.com/

When taking a look at your case we realized that your scanner was set up successfully and connected to your computer. We will have a customer reach out to you in regards to setting up a phone call to provide additional support.

We do apologize for your experience and Thank you for choosing the Neat Company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I needed to do about a year and a half of scanning all at once. I was doing it all and I wanted to try the automatic aspect of Neat. I already had a year’s worth of scans so I imported a lot of them. Neat gets things right, but some of the times it gets confused. I wish it could define a document type and just have it know that from now on, so I didn’t have to continue to sort through it. I haven't used it as much in the last two months because it doesn’t recognize some of my time-keeping documents as what they are. So, I'm just scanning everything and letting it build up. I'm not using it to populate spreadsheets because of the unreliable aspect of the non-receipt documents. Everything needs to be looked at directly to confirm, but it's still worth it because of some of the time being right is better than me having to look at every single document.

I needed to figure out how to use Neat the way I was trying to use it, and their reps don’t understand fully that users are not going to use different paths based on what kind of person they are. I had someone, too many times, tell me that I just needed to use this other software, which I perceived as being what I had already switched to using. Also, prior to using Neat, I used the CamScanner. When I adjusted my drag to drag the borders around my scanned document, CamScanner had a little circle that pops up and says, “Zoom in into the corner,” that lets me get it exactly where I wanted it to be, and Neat does not have this little zoom. Nonetheless, I'm happy with Neat.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate your feedback and review, Tim. We don't currently have an item type specifically for time cards or other time-keeping documents but that is something we can add to our list of requested features for future updates. In the meantime, your best option would likely be to classify them simply as documents.

We are also addressing your scanning concern very soon with a free scan utility that includes the option to crop, rotate, and skew your scans prior to sending them into Neat so you can focus on exactly what you want to capture in your scanned images. We hope you enjoy that when it is released in the very near future.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I had a problem with the first program that Neat put out, they ended it and I had a tough time getting all of the stuff back that I needed. I contacted customer service and they downloaded what they could off the program for me but I didn't get everything. I went back with them, I'm now on their Cloud, and it's serving the purpose of saving paper. What I'm using it for right now, if I can't recover some of the stuff, that might not be a problem. Neat helped me for a long period of time but they need to make sure that everything is recoverable if they decide to end the program.

Joseph,

We appreciate the honest review you have left. The information that you had previously in the software can be sent over to the cloud. All prior documents can be recovered and placed within the cloud. Please refer to the links below for further assistance with the task

Help Center - https://support.neat.com/

Please use the following link to schedule a 1:1 with an agent as well - https://calendly.com/neatcompany/show-me-how/11-08-2018

Thank you for choosing The Neat Company!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

There should be a law against this. One day you buy an expensive scanner. You never expect that although the hardware is in perfect condition that you can use it with your laptop since Neat decides to drop the software. The download was removed from their website & the disk that came with it requires connecting to their website for something to finalize the install. That doesn't work now. It used to work perfectly fine. No warning, no notice, just gone & now worthless. You can't get to tech support unless you are paying for their cloud premium. It's a vicious circle. The company should be penalized.

Worse, I have my IRS Supporting docs in this Neat database that I have backup religiously, yet it is TOTALLY NOT Accessible because they are preventing us from using what we paid for. Where are the attorneys or federal agencies or can we complain to? I love, loved this product!!! I now hate NEAT!! NEVER BUY FROM NEAT!! NEAT should be forced to put in big letters on all of their packaging "THIS PRODUCT EXPIRES IN X YEARS BECAUSE WE WILL MAKE IT UNUSABLE".

EBAY is selling all these scanners that work fine from a hardware view but you will never get anything to your pc. So if you see these sold or any NEAT product help us get the word out so others won’t be SCAMMED like several of us on here are. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/document-scanners/neat.html. (This is not due to any Windows upgrade. I went back to an older pc & Windows 7 which it used to run on & it won't install there either due to one of the steps in the wizard requires something from the website to proceed. Tech Support has been no help).

Lucinda,

We do apologize for any frustration. One of our technical support agents will be contacting you to assist in retrieving your important data from Neat so you will continue to have access to it.

You can still use your Neat scanner and we provide detailed steps on how to use it without the Neat software if you're not interested in purchasing a Neat cloud account. Please see this for how-to steps:

We retired the previous software over 2 years ago and have publicly announced it ever since then while continuing to provide support until earlier this year. We also provided a detailed FAQ regarding the retired software that has been updated throughout the year and can be seen here:

We have done absolutely nothing to prevent you from installing Neat software on any computer and there are many users who are still using and installing the retired versions of Neat without issue.

You may need to try some of the steps posted on our site to get past a specific error installing on your computer. Hopefully, the following will be of help to you:

as well as

In addition, there is still time to contact our retired software team at 855-910-NEAT for limited assistance with the retired products.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I've been using the Neat system for quite a few years. The only drawback I've got is that with the Legacy system, you would scan and store all your documents on the computer and then it would sync up to the server. Now, everything goes direct to the server and scanning every document process takes a lot longer than the Legacy system did. Other than that, they’ve done a good job and answered my problems. Everything is going pretty good right now.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, Keith. We hope you enjoy the other benefits of the cloud service such as unlimited storage and the mobile app. We understand your experience with the processing time on the cloud and hope to improve it further but wanted to let you know that we are actually the fastest at processing items through the cloud when compared with our competitors. Our items are usually fully processed in less than 5 minutes while our competitors can take up to 24 hours to fully process scanned data.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Neat Company?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

How can you sell an expensive piece of equipment and then one day decide to stop creating software updates?! At least make a way for your customers to be able to access the scanner via the computer without using your software! I have a $500 piece of junk taking up space on my desk that I can't use because your horrible proprietary software and hardware won't work on my iMac. They need to create a bypass so that the scanner works on future iMacs and PCs. Horrible company, shady business practices, evasive and greedy. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS - YOU'LL EVENTUALLY BE LEFT WITH NOTHING WORKING.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your feedback, SM. We do continue to update our current software but not the older retired software.

The current version of Neat works on both current Macs and PCs and we also provide options to use your scanner without the Neat software as seen here:

In addition to the above option, we are preparing to release a FREE, brand new scan utility to allow you to either scan to your computer (without a subscription) or to Neat's cloud service (with a subscription).

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

So I purchased this scanner 5 years ago and have loved it! But today I found out it is a Legacy and now you need to purchase the Cloud version at minimum $7.50 mo. No way. I will chuck this perfectly good scanner and start over before I pay Neat for a cloud service that I DON’T need. Last time I recommend this precious little gem of a scanner! Now I call it the Neat Scammer.

Hi Mary,

You do not need to purchase a cloud subscription. As you mentioned, the scanner is perfectly good so you can use it without the Neat software and continue to scan your documents to your computer.

Please see our article on how to use your Neat scanner without the cloud:

Also, please be on the lookout for a new Desktop Scan Utility that we will be releasing very soon at no cost. It will allow you to scan from your Neat scanner and combine pages as needed as well as crop and rotate scans before saving them to your computer.

As you can see we provide several options to continue with your scanner that do not require a subscription.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

The Neat Company’s product is good and I use NeatDesk every day for income tax and files. Sometimes, I even use the scanner to file my music and its best feature is that it allows you to scan it into the computer. However, transferring files takes too long. It took me over three weeks to transfer from my PC to the Mac which was a bit of a drag. Still, it's better than what I had before. Since using it, I have to do the taxes like anybody else but I got rid of the receipts and so far, it has been very good.

The Neat Company response

Thanks so much for your review. This is the first time we've heard of storing music within Neat so we're glad you found a new use for Neat. If you get the chance to try the cloud version you'll be able to see files from one computer right away on a different computer since the cloud will make it available immediately.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I use my Neat scanner about two times a week and it makes me go a little bit more paperless. When I run across something that I don’t know how to handle, I give them a buzz.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your review, Ronny. We're glad to hear everything is working smoothly for you. Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have had my Neat for several years now. I have a love hate relationship with it. At first when I started scanning documents into the Neat it was great. Now... it is so slow. It crawls along. I keep my trash bin clean. I back up every time I scan. I am frustrated with it and need a resolution. It takes hours and hours to scan because it is so slow. I have kept the scanner in great working condition. I have changed the rollers which was really easy to do. Any ideas are welcomed.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for your review. We're glad to hear you've been a long-time user of Neat. There seem to be two possibilities regarding the scan speed.

1. You seem to be using an older version of Neat and may have several older scans stuck processing in the software causing all scans after that to process more slowly as well. Please follow the steps in this article to resolve that:

2. Since you replaced the rollers it should "grab" the paper better when feeding. If pages are taking a long time to go through the scanner there may be a problem with the scanner but if you call tech support at 888-898-3253

One of those two suggestions should help get you scanning more efficiently.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I'm a paperless person and with Neat it's easier to keep track of things and send information over to CPAs, et cetera. Neat has the scanning capability on mobile and on the desktop. I got everything on my thumb. I’ve been with Neat for a few years. Their accuracy in reporting with NeatVerify, is definitely not where it needs to be. But there are still ongoing issues, so there's some misrepresentation still going on. Their customer service used to be abysmal but their customer service has gotten better. I have seen some improvement there. I continued to renew and I paid $100 just for the sheer convenience of taking pictures of receipts. But I wish I got more out of the things I pay for, like with the Neatverify. I wish they would live up to what they advertise it to be.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for being a Neat user over the years. We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us know where we can do better. We're glad you've noticed an improvement with our customer service and support teams.

We are working on more improvements and updates to the Neat cloud service and we hope you'll enjoy them when released.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’m sick of having papers all over the place and I like the ease of use of a Neat Scanner. I got two NeatDesks. I bought one of them online and another through Costco. I bought one for work and then one for home. I use my NeatDesk every single day for my personal and business finance. I scan receipts and invoices and other sensitive important documents. I use it to organize things. If I need a past invoice, credit card statement or electric bill, I can get at them quickly.

I've used the Neat Cloud on the go, and it’s slow and I wish it is a little easier to use. Recently, I got forced away from the desktop version and had to go to the Neat Cloud version. I wasn’t really crazy about that because it’s a subscription-based service. They have all my documents around the Cloud. I don’t feel I have control over them anymore. But then, it’s gonna be some sort of hassle to download and organize my documents. I feel like I got trapped. I kind of waited out and said, “Well, at least, I guess, the documents are stored safely online.” So, if a computer crashes, I’m not gonna lose all my stuff. I started off with their basic Cloud subscription and it has been super frustrating with the speed in which it processes and scans documents. In the past, I would scan a document, look at it, make sure it’s accurate, and go on to the next document.

Now, I scan a document and it has this processing spinning wheel that spins for a long time. Sometimes, it takes 10 minutes for it to scan. You can’t really scan a lot of documents because then if they’re not scanned properly, then you gotta go find them. I’ve been scanning documents and then setting them aside, let it do its thing, and then I go back and look at them later to make sure everything’s processed right. It’s clunky and it’s not as accurate as it used to be. I’ve had some issues with how it is scanning two-sided documents, blank and white, and inverse color. I’ve worked with Neat's technical support team to resolve the issues and they’re awesome. Their customer service used to be horrible. You couldn’t even get someone on the phone. Now, they call me back to make sure that things are working okay.

I’m working with Victor. He’s like my buddy. I’m busy running my business, so I don’t have time to step through all the steps that he wants me to do to try to resolve the issues. I’ve worked with him for a couple of weeks now trying to resolve this processing issue. He was able to fix my issue with scanning two-sided and in color. But now, we’re still working on the processing. So then, I saw that there’s this Neat verify option where they verify invoices and receipts for you. This is frustration for me.

I upgraded to the NeatVerify, then four weeks later, I got a discount e-mail where it’s like 70% off. It’s 100 bucks. And now, I can get the $100 features for 40 bucks, so I wasted 60 bucks. I don’t even have time to call and complain about it or voice any opinions to anybody. That should be automated. I recently upgraded that and I’ve been a long-time customer that they should rebate me something back. It’s only for new customers. The processing issue has to do with not storing any files locally. They’re stored in the Cloud. If they could resolve that, then the product would be fast and efficient. I wouldn’t mind paying 100 bucks a year to have a good, fast, efficient, accurate scanning document tool. But with it being the way it is, it's a very time-consuming process now. I really wish they would fix the Cloud version of software because it’s been really bad.

Because of the way the software is operating right now, I couldn’t recommend Neat. I want it to work in an easy, fast, and efficient way as it used to be. The customer service has been great though. You don’t usually get a follow-up call from a Cloud-based software company. Neat's customer service resolved two of the three issues that I had. If they haven’t resolved those and happened to be working with me in the process, I would have went to a different direction by now. But because of the customer service, I’m hanging on hoping that they’re gonna resolve these issues with that processing.

The Neat Company response

First of all, thanks for sticking with us, Steve. We are working on improving the cloud service and adding new features to keep you organized and we hope you'll enjoy them.

We also really appreciate your comments on our support staff and your recognition of how much Victor has helped you out.

Thank you for your detailed review. We hope you continue to stay organized with Neat.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have a personal NeatDesk at home that I have had for six years. Then, we got one in our workplace as we have some new practices that went into effect. We were trying to streamline it to get it all organized into different folders on the computer and I figured NeatDesk would be the easiest way. We use it every day. I just scan the work orders and put it where it needs to go. When we did our free trial, I scanned some documents in and I did not realize the permanent one that they did would be in a different place so the rep told me how to get to them and it all went well. Now, I don’t have as much paperwork because I just store it all on the Cloud. The Neat Cloud works great and it makes paperwork a lot easy.

The Neat Company response

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, Lynn. We're glad to hear Neat makes your paperwork a lot easier to manage.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've had a Neat scanner for several years and it started off very well, and then it stopped working. I came back to them once and they told me I needed a software upgrade. I went through a couple of other software iterations on my Mac and I still couldn't get it to work. I got the email for the new Cloud service after that and I was anxious to either find out if the scanner worked or if I could get it repaired.

I had some trouble downloading the software, so I called in and a nice young lady looked and analyzed things on my computer and told me that, in fact, I had not downloaded, or I did not have the right version of the software. She uploaded it and walked me through it, and it works. I'm scanning documents like crazy and I'm very happy. I'm pretty darn impressed with the customer service when I called in and we got an understanding of the problem. The reps were both extremely happy to help. And a lot of places you call, the first thing they wanna know is how much you're willing to pay and I just liked the support.

I mostly used NeatDesk for receipts, business cards and medical records. It seems these days, to go to the doctor, you need to be able to provide medical history in much greater detail and it helps me just keep track of things. Plus, it eliminates the paper clutter. A lot of the stuffs that I scanned is our financial records. I'm retired, so I don't do many reports or things anymore, but I'm looking to upgrade to a version of Quicken that will interface with Neat, and that should simplify things quite a bit.

I've created a grouping of subfolders for the major items that I wanna track, and I scan the documents, so I can go to any subfolder. It’s like all my medical records filled out into a spreadsheet. Everything is in one place. When I upgraded to a subscription plan, I put everything in the Cloud. What I have seems to be working quite well. Neat has been outstanding.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for your positive review, Ted. We really appreciate your comments and are glad to hear that you are able to keep all your important documents organized in one place with Neat.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

The Neat Scanner is a Cloud-based service and we got it because of the software and hardware integration. It also has an application on the smartphone. I bought a refurbished model and when I unpacked it, the actual cover of the scanner was wobbled. But even though it has lost its form, it did not affect the function of the scanner. I had an issue with the paper feed in and I solved that by buying the cleaning kit from The Neat website. For many years now, I’ve been using the scanner in accordance with the smartphone application.

I have a very basic usage of the NeatDesk. I scan everything in and put it in folders. I use it to keep tabs of my daily spending and make sure that I have a paper receipt of them. I also use the NeatDesk in case one might ask where someone was and inquire about them as a person, so it's a precocious measure as well. I use the Neat Cloud whenever I have receipt, which is twice a week, on average. With The Neat Company, I have the ability to manage the account administrator and have the list of the people that are in charge of the account. The website allows me to manage my account and the users, and there is the listing of the address and personal information.

So far, I’ve run the scanner with no need to do any maintenance. Unfortunately, a folder got deleted. I contacted Neat through the chat and e-mail and they answered. They proceeded to advise me to install the software application for the Mac in the hope that we would be able to recover the folder, but it was already permanently lost. It was the dining-out folder for the receipts and it wasn't important. But if it was another folder, I would have sent more e-mails to see if it was possible to recover it. Overall, my experience with the Neat Company has been excellent. It’s an excellent product, both software and hardware.

The Neat Company response

Amer, thank you for your thorough and thoughtful review. We appreciate hearing how Neat helps stay organized. Please don't hesitate to contact us at 888-898-3253 if you run into any further technical issues. We are here to help.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I’ve been using Neat for about 8-9 years. I was forced into buying a new scanner, and since have had no tech support. Impossibility to get someone! The scanner nearly never used as it isn’t working properly, the issue is half comes out so so the other half of a 8.5 paper shows nearly nothing. 500.00 Dollars and this product no support nor functionality, not a wonder it was Marketed on The Apprentice, birds of a feather flock together. I’m now in a deadline for my needs and have all my data on the local software, how do and what do I try to convert to? What company? Anyone tips?

Hi Thomas,

We can certainly help you with troubleshooting your scanner. Our records show you have a Neat Connect scanner. Please see this article for steps to calibrate your scanner to improve image quality.

Keep in mind that if there is something going on with the scanner hardware itself, the calibration won't be able to address that but you can also try swapping out the USB cable for the scanner if you are scanning directly to your computer.

You can also reach our technical support team at 888-898-3253 and they'll be happy to assist you as well.

You also have options to export your data from Neat to PDF as detailed in the link below:

Also, for the record, we do not force anyone to purchase a new scanner and we are focused now on our software and cloud service and no longer sell scanners as of over a year ago.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

The Neat scanner allows me to save a lot of documents and it helped out for tax purposes. I like it because I can put my own folders in. I can use it as a scanner for a PDF to attach it to an email. We got two. My husband uses his when he was in real estate. I had the scanner for a while but then my computer crashed and I couldn't reload it. We had one of their technicians load it and it's with the Neat Cloud now and I don't like it. It's always telling me it doesn't sync. I don't go in it that much anymore. I've paid for a year for the Cloud, but I think that will end. I wanna stay on the 5.7 but they said I couldn't. But all the technicians that we've dealt with are nice, friendly and informative. When the girl was getting everything straightened up, she worked on them pretty much all day long. She then would call back the next day to keep finishing all the stuff, so they keep their promises.

The Neat Company response

JoAnn, Thanks for being a long time Neat user. We appreciate your honest review and we're glad to hear our support agents have been persistent in continuing to assist you.

If you're running into any error messages or need further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to help and can answer your questions. You can reach us at 888-898-3253

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

So basically I had the scanner for a couple years, it worked okay but then they changed their software model to a subscription you must then continue to purchase each year. I have the hardware still on my desk just collecting dust now. I want to just use it to scan documents but no one will even help figure it out without purchasing their new software. Hell even a broken clock is right 2x a day. This thing is good for nothing now!

Hi Chris,

We'd be glad to help. We did shift to providing cloud services that include unlimited cloud storage as well as options that allow you to make use of Neat without a scanner such as our email directly to the cloud feature, our mobile app, and import file options just to name a few.

If you prefer not to subscribe to Neat to take advantage of the cloud features, please see this page for details of the options available to you:

You can also go directly to this page to learn how to use your Neat scanner without the cloud service:

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I had Neat for many years. It worked fine. However, our family moved often and had some serious health problems recently. I called after an annual autorenew and requested that they cancel and prorate the service, and they refused - despite the fact that they could see I had not used the service in about 2 years. They kept trying to persuade me to keep the account and downgrade - and tell me how valuable it is that I still have access to my files for another year. Despite the fact that it was useful many years ago, I VERY MUCH regret having ever signed up for it. There are many less expensive, more reasonable services out there with similar benefits. Do your research.

Hello C,

We reviewed your account and apologize for any frustration. Accounts are eligible for refunds within 30 days of the date the autorenewal is charged. Since you contacted us only 2 days after that period we have processed a refund for you. Please see our email today for details.

We're glad to hear Neat was a useful app for you. Aside from the unlimited cloud storage, mobile app, automatic parsing of data, and integrations with various accounting programs we are also working on updates to improve the Neat experience and we hope you'll find Neat useful again in the future.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Back then we thought a NeatScanner would be a good option for keeping records. We now use the scanner very frequently and save everything to the Cloud. We reached out with the Neat Company's reps a couple of times for the different applications we were trying to use and they were very good. We now have better recordkeeping. We’ve been very happy with the NeatScanner and we’ll recommend The Neat Company.

The Neat Company response

Randy, thank you for sharing how our representatives have been helpful and how Neat has been useful in keeping you organized.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I had to purchase the latest version of the Neat scanning software when my old Neat scanner no longer worked. The original version wasn't perfect, but it fit my needs just fine. So when I needed a new scanner I found out that Neat was no longer supporting the version I had and that I would be required to purchase their latest version. What a total nightmare it has been. I spent 80.00 on the software. It is a total disaster.

The scanner they said was compatible is a compact Brother scanner. It's a scanner for sure but not a very good one. No matter how you align the documents, there's a lot of jams and paper crumpling with this unit. Then Neat software takes anywhere from five to fifteen minutes to process my documents. Filling in the info is cumbersome. It can't even put in the current date like the old version did. I can't afford to go with one of the more expensive scanners so I am stuck with this two fold pile of junk. Good thing I don't have a ton of documents to scan or I would have to bite the bullet and get something that actually works. Stay away from the Neat Software and the Brother compact scanner. You'll be glad you did.

Hi Mary,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with Neat. We would like to try and rectify the issue by reaching out to you. Please let us know if there is a date and time that works best for you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have had very limited experience with The Neat Company so far but they have been helpful. I wanted to consolidate a lot of paperwork that I have into one solid place so that my kids wouldn’t have to go through a bazillion files and folders after I passed. One of my kids had Neat and I got the machine too way before the Cloud. I use it strictly to upload bills and to keep my bills current. I use it from the scanner but I’m hoping to be able to transfer all the piles of bills from my email into the Neat instead of scanning them individually. For a while, I was on it a lot but I went through two deaths in the family and I tried to get all the paperwork. I put it into the Neat Cabinet so that I could have it and get rid of all the excess paper. When it gets closer to the end of the year, I'm on it daily because it is when I'm getting all of the paperwork together to give to the accountant. Since having NeatDesk, I have gotten rid of two file cabinets.

I called their customer service team because I had trouble getting the Neat email address to work and they talked me through it. I enjoyed the Neat when I didn’t have to pay for the Cloud services and when I used it as my own little personal thing. When I bought the nicer desk version of the Neat scanner, I was not that happy that I was hitting jams with it before I could go online and work it out. I'm a penny-pincher and I don’t like the idea that I have to pay for the space.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for the review, Joanne!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I am extremely disappointed in the new Neat. It is hard to navigate. It shuts down continually. I am a Legacy user and find a great number of things better in the Legacy product. As it is right now, I would not recommend anyone going to the new product.

Hi Dayton,

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment and that you are experiencing an issue. Regarding the software shutting down, we would like to reach out to you and gather more information to see if we can assist.

Thanks for reaching out, we look forward to working with you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Hazel ** helped resolve my issue. She called back when promised and worked to get me back to my prior status. It was a complicated issue and she get going to higher ups to get it done right. I was very satisfied with her work.

The Neat Company response

We appreciate you letting us know how we are doing, Henry. Thanks for your support!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I've been using NeatDesk every day for about 12 years now. I use it to record all of my tax documents and scan all my receipts and documents that I want to save so I have copies without having clutter on my desk or in file cabinets. This is so much easier than before because now, I take everything as soon as I get it and pick out what I wanna scan and save it and then I can search through it if I want and find something that I may have been looking for. I've used my phone to take pictures mainly of receipts that I want to keep a record of as well. I also have the app on my phone so that I can go in to look up the document if I'm away from home and don’t have access to it, which I can do on my laptop too.

However, the program is not perfect. Sometimes the data upload is slow and that's the one thing that I don't like. Usually, during the week when there are a lot more people using it, I can scan about seven to ten documents and then I have to set those aside and wait for the information to be uploaded or downloaded so that I can read it. And almost all cases where I have to change something in the document or I have more detailed information that I wanna put in it, the Neat doesn’t read the document properly. The program is a little bit buggy at times too. A lot of times it would just say, “Neat just shut down for an unknown reason,” and that’s immediately bothersome. But since you can log right back in again, it's not usually bothersome in the long run.

Their customer service has really improved a lot, though. Initially, it was kind of difficult to get somebody back to you right away and if you are taking documents that you might wanna refer to right away and you can't access it because you're having a problem with your program, that makes it difficult. But they made a good effort to improve everything and they are very responsive now in getting back to me on a number of different things.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing, we always appreciate hearing from our customers!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I wanted to keep track of all my receipts and I was finding it was a mess. A friend told me about The Neat Company and I decided to purchase their equipment.

I use the scanner to categorize my receipts and I scan documents as well. Sometimes, the receipts get stuck in the scanner that I have, which is the little one. But with Neat, I know how much exactly I spend on groceries and on cash which has been very helpful for budgeting our finances. Also, I was using NeatDesk once a week before but right now, I upgraded to the new Neat. Then we moved and I still need to finish the process of setting it up. There is something that I need to learn that Elvie, their rep, was trying to contact me about and I need to call back their customer service to be able to use it. If somebody would use Neat, they'd have to keep up with it once a week.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for leaving a review for us, Lisa. We also enjoy hearing how our users make the most out of Neat! Also, we will have the agent reach back out to you to answer any additional questions you might have.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I’m an IT consultant and I recommended to my clients the neat ND1000 when it was new. After the two hurricanes in Puerto Rico many of my clients lost computers and the programs. I was able to reinstall all programs in new computers but NEAT did NOT gave us access to the program download as the other companies did. A company that abandons their clients does not deserve any recognition and also, what will avoid them doing it again with another product. We had to communicate with users that had the program for them to provide us with the download. I’ll never again recommend NEAT Company. I don’t think they deserve it.

The Neat Company response

We are sorry to disappoint you, Angel. We have a support line set up for legacy users that are in need of support. Give us call and we will be able to help you out! Please call, 866-632-8732, we look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Neat has changed their models over the years and I was one of the first persons with them from way back which is six years already. I use the Neat Cloud all the time and I find it very convenient when I get in the office and need a certain document that I had no access in front of me. The Neat Cloud allows me to email it to the place where I am, especially when I have to see my confidant and he needs certain documents. Technically, all my documents are in the Neat, even my house feed. The NeatDesk is a good feature and it's a good device but if I were to turn around, I wouldn’t have gotten it because I have to pay monthly and I do not like that. When I purchase something, I have to pay for the Cloud. It's nice and convenient but every cent adds in. I'm now in the middle of purchasing another scanner and printer that also allows to me sync my documents to my phone but I don’t have to pay for anything.

I’ve been experiencing a lot of problems with the Neat Company continuously from the device constantly not wanting to turn on, activate or not recognizing any paper in the slot when there is paper over there. When I call, I could be talking to another person and after all my explanation, they're gonna redirect me to another person. So, I usually direct myself to technical support because at least they can go in and do it manually. When I called in last time, I was asking for help and the only thing I got is just to purchase the stuff that I need to replace. The rep told me that I should easily connect it myself and that it was self-explanatory but it's still not working and I cannot even scan. They were not able to totally assist me because they couldn’t resolve the problem.

The Neat Company response

Thank you for letting us know how we are doing, Leon. We will be reaching out to provide additional assistance.

Resolution response: Sept. 26, 2018

After posting my complaint, Neat has agreed to issue a refund. Previously the operator refused to issue a refund but after this complaint someone contacted me and a refund was issued to my account. Thank You

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Let me pre-empt this by saying I have been a Neat customer for years and I was disappointed when they switched to the cloud service as oppose to the software but I understand the change. Technology advances and we have to adapt. My issue comes from the lack of continuity between using the legacy software and the cloud service. Neat has NOT made it simple to get files from the legacy software and I was EXTREMELY disappointed to pay for the cloud software to try it out only to find out that I could NOT upload a legacy backup to the cloud and use the data.

I figured I would be fine to get a refund seeing that I could not use the cloud service in the manner that I needed to use it. I was disappointed to find out that Neat does NOT issue refunds for the cloud service monthly accounts. Even though their site says try it for 30 days and if you don't like it we will refund. Then, buried deep deep deep down in the legalese they say they do not issue refunds for monthly service. I was deeply disappointed and will NEVER use this service again. Do NOT use NEAT. There are much better options available.

Hi Art,

Thanks for the review, and we are sorry to have disappointed you. We have support line for users who would like to migrate from legacy to our cloud services. Please calls us @ 866-632-8732 if you would like assistance. Also, regarding the refund policy - in accordance with our terms and conditions, Neat will a refund within the ten (10) day refund period of a trial conversion:

Terms and conditions: https://www.neat.com/policies/terms-and-conditions/

Please let us know if we can assist you in any way!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I came in mid-stride here in the company and the girls didn’t have the old NeatDesk version set up to a cloud. So, I noticed about the last couple of months, some of the files started coming out missing on it. I got ahold of The Neat Company's tech people and Alma, the gal that I worked with, was amazing. She put a new version on, fixed it, synced it and it works great. We use it every day. It keeps everything in order for us. We have paper files but we want it on this end too. That way, everything is itemized. It helps us with deductions. Before, the old version didn’t have where you could put in the client or orders. We don’t do that on this end. One of the other gals does that, but I have to make sure all of our receipts are scanned and all that kind of stuff in it.

The Neat Company response

Thanks for the support, Laura!

The Neat Company Company Information