1.15/5

Stow, OH

854 Aspen Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I scheduled an appointment for my husband for a broken tooth that needed fixed. They were able to get him in the next morning which was good. We went down the next morning for his appointment. They called him back where he had to wait an hour for the dentist to tell him he doesn't have time to extract his tooth. We left with nothing resolved and my husband still needing attention for his tooth. He missed a half day of work for a total waste of his time.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I would not recommend these people. Small cavity in July 2018. Called for appointment could not get me in until December but said they would put me on the waitlist. No callback so went in and they had to extract the tooth. I am convinced that had I not had to wait that long it could have been saved. Fast forward to April I had a cap come off on the other side, rendering me unable to chew. I was leaving for California in 2 days. Called to see if they could glue it back on. “Nope we can get you in last May or early June.” They said their schedule was full.

I asked if I could be at the office right after his last appointment for the day and he could glue it back on. Answer “nope” but we can put me on the cancellation list. “I already know that does not work”. I called another dentist. She got me in at 8 am the next day, x-rayed the tooth and glued it back on all in 20 min. Aspen Dental has the worst customer service and they will not work with you so they make you wait till the tooth is so bad that it leads to more expense. Run as fast as you can AWAY from Aspen Dental.

Get expert buying tips about Dentures and Dental Implant Solutions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I wish I could give you a better review however I didn’t stay long enough simply on how they schedule appointments! I had looked around for another dentist office since the last one I was I at was no less than a quack so I thought, I now have second thoughts about that one after today! So I thought I would give this Aspen Dental a try so I made appointment. 7:45 am is what they had so I was there at 7:40 with 10 sheets of paper in hand, I was going to get a bridge replacement and discuss what is known as (all on 4) similar to a clear choice I think? And before I was quoted around 8k so we are not talking anything cheap (by my standards) so I showed up on time with a room of about 5 people. All 5 were called in, then some guys walks in off the street (I'm not judging but he smelt as if he hadn't bathed in week). Honestly, I had to move, sits down, and is seen in about 2 minutes.

So now I'm only one in the room, but hold in walks and elderly gentleman again sits down for about 2 minutes and is rushed in like a rock star! Again I’m the only one left, at this point it was now about 8:20 so I gave it another 5 minutes and then thought WTF? I sprang up rushed to the desk and told them, "I have emergency at home. I'll have to reschedule", why not lie? They lied to me! Now I’m know as not having the best of patience but there is limit, also let me make clear I don’t think I’m more important than anyone else, BUT I’m just as important! My time obviously means nothing to Aspen Dental but it means something to me. It appears Aspen Dental is just one more Corporate run Cattle Herd, but sorry I’m not part of the herd. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience about Aspen Dental although mine was not as bad as some of what I’ve read, it did save me any further headache, the word really needs to get.

Original review: April 18, 2019

During the 3 times my husband & I went there, we had excessively long wait times in the office to obtain care. They canceled my husband's 1st appointment without calling him to inform before he went to the office and sat in the waiting room for half an hour before being acknowledged. They tried to get him to agree to a $1400 treatment plan when all he needed was a $200 scaling & root planing procedure, according to American Dental Association guidelines. When we told the dentist & office manager we could only afford the $200 treatment, they dropped us from their practice.

I was told by the regional manager "we have to do what's best for the practice." Word to the wise - I recommend you avoid Aspen Dental nationwide. After dropping us they are now refusing to give us our records to take to our new dentist! So ridiculous! Those records belong to us since we paid for them but Aspen says it's their corporate policy to retain patients' files. They only care about the welfare of their practice, not the patients. Buyer beware!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I had an appointment at Aspen Dental 4/16/19 because I have some teeth in the front that needs repaired. My appointment was 11 a.m. I arrived at 1030 a.m. because I am always early for everything. I sat in the waiting room for almost an hour prior to being called back for an exam. The tech took a panoramic xray then moved me to another room where she took about 15 to 20 more days. She then moved me to an exam room, where I waited for the hygienist who told me I need to use an electric toothbrush, special high fluoride toothpaste and high fluoride mouth rinse after poking at each of my teeth and saying numbers of 1-5. She told me, “You don't want to hear any 5s because that is bad.” Well I didn't hear any 5s only 2, 3,and 4s.

When she was finished she told me that I had gum disease, gingivitis and moderate bone loss in my gums that my teeth will eventually fall out. She also said I need to have a deep cleaning and a root planing before any work can be done. She then left the room and after about 10 minutes the dentist came in. He put the x-ray up on a TV screen and said, “Yes you have moderate bone loss, gum disease and gingivitis. You really need to use an electric toothbrush, high fluoride toothpaste and high fluoride mouth rinse.” He can fix my teeth by doing 2 root canals and crowns but the deep cleaning and root planing need to be done first. He said, “The girls will go over the cost of all this with you.”

When the tech came back in she escorted me to a girl at the desk who showed me 4 or 5 sheets which all totaled up costs were over $17,000.00. I almost fell out of my chair. I told the girl at the desk, "That is more than I paid for my car. I just want my front teeth fixed before we start doing anything else." She told me she would have to check and see if that could be done. I told her, "It can and will be. It's my money and my teeth. I could have them all pulled and dentures made for less than that price." She said, “Well let's get you an appointment so we can get started.” I told her, "No need to make an appointment. I won't be back." I asked what the charge was for the visit today and she told me, “Oh there's no charge so we will see.” I sure hope I don't end up with a bill I am not going to be impressed, but I wasn't impressed with the whole thing. I wouldn't recommend Aspen Dental to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aspen Dental?

Original review: April 15, 2019

When I pulled up Aspen Dental website, I was impressed with the prices and the what seemed "AFFORDABLE DENTURES". My extractions should have been $139. Not including the 30% discount. So my extractions should have been around $90.00 and that is not including my Aetna discount. But they charged me $188.00 for the extractions. My bill was constantly changing, and the office manager could not explain my bill. I asked her when I was showing her my dental cards what is my cost out of pocket. She never answered me and continued working at the computer. If I knew that my cost would be doubled, I could have went elsewhere. The math is all wrong. They tell me I owe $1000 but the summary has $2,444. If I gave them 1,212.80 on 4/4/19 and $672.40 on 4/5/19 my balance is only $580.80. Not $1,000. Wonder what new charges they will add!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Lewiston Idaho have not been to a dentist in 27 years and all was well. Do the cleaning and x-rays. Then the big bill 2 crowns and of course. Donald disease, $135 toothbrush and the varnish that they don’t tell you what is making you look like you are a crackhead. I okay the one crown. He ground on it several times then get in my mouth and says going to take off some of your other tooth to make fit. I can’t do anything I cannot stop him. So he destroys another tooth for a new crown. He says I’ve been doing this a long time. He could not understand English when I tried questioning him. And said we are finished. I would like to take him to small claims court. They just want money so much they destroy your other teeth. To get you back. I will never go back.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I went just Monday of this week, 4/8/19, for an evaluation before starting bisphosphonates for severe osteoporosis. I have the worst osteoporosis from taking **, and I am only 56 years old. I was diagnosed with osteo disease 10 years ago, and it has only gotten worse. There is a danger of osteonecrosis of the jaw (jaw bone death) from taking these bone-building drugs, so I wanted to make sure I am squared away with dental treatment before I started taking them.

The visit started off well enough. I was asked to fill out four pages of new patient forms, which I did in the waiting room. I gave my completed forms to the receptionist (who is the "office manager" a.k.a. sales rep). After giving her my forms, about 10 minutes later she calls me up to the desk and points out that I have not completed the part that gives them permission to request my pharmacy records. It is marked as optional on the form I completed. I looked again at the form, and I said, "I don't think it's necessary." Then she says, "Well it is if you want treatment here." I then said (I had a pen in my hand) "Then why does your form say it's optional?" And I circled the word optional beside where she insisted I sign. Oh boy, did I piss her off. Not good... I need these people to take care of me.

I was called back shortly after, and I won't detail it all, because my experience was identical to every other experience chronicled here: x-rays (so many x-rays!), hygienist comes in, pokes all over my mouth calling out numbers (which was odd, because they were short-staffed that day and no one was logging the numbers. I wondered... was she being voice recorded? I truly think it was all for show... NO ONE WAS WRITING THESE NUMBERS DOWN!). She tells me I need a deep cleaning over several visits then tries to sell me the toothbrush.

Next, the dentist comes in. She does a brief exam and proceeds to tell me that I need to have ALL of my teeth extracted and go to a full denture. At this point, I am in total shock. She asks me to agree to the treatment, but I told her I first needed to see a detailed treatment plan. She escorts me to a FREEZING waiting room where I sit for at least 49 minutes until my new best friend, the "office manager"/high-pressure sales rep I'd already pissed off comes to get me to discuss costs/financing. The cost before insurance and "discounts" was almost $15,000, but I could get all of this wonderful treatment for just under $10,000, did I want to schedule for full extraction in just two weeks and sign the dotted line on the finance form? I left the office numb and in shock. Then I Googled Aspen Reviews. I feel like I haven't only dodged a bullet... I escaped the firing squad. STAY AWAY FROM ASPEN DENTAL.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I Had a tooth extracted in August 2018, paid in full for the services rendered at time of service. Bill was paid. In December 2018 received a bill from Aspen Dental requesting 199.00 dollars for the tooth extraction. I reviewed my bank records to ensure the bill was paid. I contacted the Aspen Dental Office and explained that I paid for the procedure at the time of the extraction. I was told the issue would be taken care of. Now, March of 2019, I have a collection agency calling requesting payment. Explained to them that this bill was paid at time of procedure. Collection agency didn't care and wants payment stating that I have to get Aspen Dental to remove the bill. This is absurd!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

I had two very badly decayed upper molars, one of which was abscessed and infected. The infection actually spread to my ear and jaw. The pain was unbelievable. I work a 7:30-5 job, sometimes ten days straight with very little time off. Therefore, making time to see my regular dentist was nearly impossible, so I reluctantly made an appointment with my local Aspen Dental, as they're open later and have flexible hours.

When I went in for my appointment, they first took X-rays of my teeth which literally took about ten minutes. Afterward, I requested to look at my X-rays. The technician told me that she couldn't show me, but the dentist would. Strange, but I was in such pain, that I wasn't going to argue at that point. She then took me back to the room and had me wait for the dental hygienist.

Once the hygienist came in, she asked what the problem was. I told her and after quite some time and a strange test in which she named off numbers for each of my teeth for the technician to enter into the computer, she confirmed that I had two teeth that could not be saved. She also told me I had a lower molar which was badly decayed, as well as moderate gum disease and gingivitis, but that those issues could be fixed with their special electric toothbrush and medicated mouth rinse. I told them I was not interested in treating those issues presently and that right now, I just really need my two upper molars dealt with. She debated this issue with me until she realized she was not going to persuade me. She then left to retrieve the dentist.

The dentist came in, confirmed what the hygienist had told me, and told me to go make an appointment to come back for the three extractions (the two upper molars I knew needed pulled and the lower molar that has never caused me problems). I then, again, requested to see my X-rays and the dentist told me there really wasn't any need for me to seem them, as abscesses don't really show up well on X-rays (uh, what)? I asked, regardless, if I could still see them. She began becoming combative with me, huffing and puffing, and stated she would "try to locate them." Well, what the heck, lady, where the hell would they have gone? She left me waiting in the chair for 22 minutes (I counted) before I just left. Never did see the X-rays.

I went out to the desk to make an appointment. The employee asked about my insurance. I told her that my insurance pays up to $1,000 per year for extractions. A cost more than $1,000 would be out of pocket. She then told me that she would contact me the next day and give me an estimate for this procedure. I have had many friends and family who have gotten teeth extracted in which the total cost was never even close to $1,000, even for multiple teeth, so I was not worried about the cost. I assumed my insurance would cover it completely.

The next day I received a call. The employee told me she had the estimate. I asked her what the cost was and she said $2,411.61. I asked her to repeat herself and she repeated the same figure. I then said, "Wow...okay...? So with my insurance, my out-of-pocket cost would be over $1,000...?" She then stated, "No, $2,411.61 IS your out-of-pocket cost." I then asked, "And this cost is just for two teeth extractions, correct?" She confirmed this and then asked me if I would like to confirm my appointment. I clearly remember saying, "Uh...no," and hung the phone up.

Needless to say, I took a day off work and visited my regular dentist as soon as possible. He took X-rays, SHOWED THEM TO ME AND ALSO SUBSEQUENTLY PRINTED ME A COPY FOR MYSELF without my even requesting it. He then pointed out the abscesses to me on the X-ray (surprise, abscessed teeth DO show up on X-rays). He stated that both upper molars were, indeed, beyond repair.

However, when I asked about the apparent irreparable damage to my lower molar and my moderate gum disease and gingivitis, he looked stunned and confused, paused for a moment, and asked, "Why do you believe you have those issues?" I explained to him that Aspen Dental told me I did. He rolled his eyes and let me know that my lower molar was not decayed, let alone beyond repair, nor did he see any signs of gingivitis or gum disease, nevermind moderate gum disease. At this point, I was livid with Aspen Dental and wanted the whole world to know the kind of "services" they provide.

I subsequently scheduled an appointment with my dentist to have the two teeth extracted. The whole process took about a half an hour and the best part? I did not have to pay a single cent for the procedure. My insurance did, indeed, cover the cost because, as I expected, no routine tooth extraction, in any universe, costs more than $1,000, let alone over $2,000.

To sum up, against my better judgment, I visited Aspen Dental. I regretted it almost immediately. Since visiting them, I have heard and read others' horror stories about that establishment, some experiences worse than mine. I am, in no way, an exception. In fact, you can read stories from former employees who quit after a couple months because they couldn't stand working there anymore, some claiming that they could no longer sleep at night knowing that their company was taking advantage of vulnerable and naive individuals and blatantly ripping them off with unnecessary procedures and add-ons to their bill that were never disclosed to them, nor requested by the patients.

I wanted to give Aspen Dental a chance and allow them the benefit of the doubt. Obviously, I should not have. They are a business, after all. Please, please just visit your regular dentist and if you don't have one, find one; They're everywhere. I would hate to see anyone else fall victim to the unethical, abhorrent business practices of a place like Aspen Dental.

Original review: April 5, 2019

They did panoramic x-rays and then the old standard of placing plastic pieces in plates that you had to bit on. They knocked several fillings which I am sure was their intent. I was having issues with a broken molar and they said they would have to cut into bone and I would need someone else to come in and put me under and do the work. His minimum charge was $800.00. They made no effort to even schedule another appointment and now I am suffering with two major dental problems. I consulted another dentist and he can see me in 6-8 weeks. So I'm in more intense pain and have more damage.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have paid $7800 for extractions and 2 sets of dentures, temporary and permanent! Temporary dentures do not fit nor do they match the size or shape of my original teeth! I am so distraught I am fit to be tied! My only recourse is to go to JAG on post! Is anyone listening to Me! I Need Help! Crying in South Carolina in South Carolina!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I went in to have two teeth pulled. They advised me that I needed to have my remaining lower teeth pulled and a lower denture placed. So we had that done in Dec. 2018, they said they would fit me immediately with an immediate denture, that's their term for it, however, they broke two of my teeth that had previous crowns with post, in turn, it gave me bone slivers, that continued coming out my gum for several months. I even went in to have some removed, mouth still inflamed and no temporary denture, they tried to put one in mouth but the tech kept grinding off pieces until it literally was ruined so she threw it away, I never went home with a denture, ok fast forward, my mouth spurs are almost healed enough to touch, so I decide to go get my temporary denture that I had already paid for, they got 2620.00 the first visit. I paid in full for everything including the immediate denture.

Well I never received a temporary denture even though they claim I did. They want to charge me another 503.00 for a lower denture. Considering that the tech messed the first one up and claims I received it, what's to say they won't do the same again. Cutting my losses with this company. They apparently like to rip people off from the reviews I read, I wish I had read before I paid them for services and product never received.

Original review: April 4, 2019

After two years still can't eat good and have issue with gagging. Not happy at all. Going to a different dentist soon. Maybe they can help with my issues. Paid a lot of money to be this unsatisfactory. Will not recommended Aspen Dental to anyone.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Myself and my husband went to Aspen Dental for New Patient exams. He had lost his veneer so he was looking to have it fixed. I had made our appt just a half hour apart. They took him in first and I sat for over an hour waiting for them to take me in. I finally went to the receptionist and asked if I had been forgot. I was told because we were husband and wife that I would not be seen until after my husband was done. We told them that we did have dental insurance and we were assured that whatever the new patient visit didn't cover the insurance would. My husband was told that he needed to pay $40.80 for his tooth to be repaired which he paid right there.

I only need a checkup and was told that I would not owe anything and my husband would owe nothing after he paid the $40.80. I told my husband after we left that I would not go back because I was made to feel like they were trying to sell us vacuums!! Imagine our surprise when the next month we received a bill for both of us totaling $204!!! When I called after getting the first bill they told me that they sent them in error and not to worry that it would be taken care of. I received a second bill for each of us and called again. This time I was told that we each had to pay $100 for our deductible for our insurance!! Why would they not tell my husband that when they took his $40.80 at the visit!! I was told several times during the visit that I would owe nothing. They even had me sit down to go over a very expensive plan for future care and never said anything about owing for that day!! I am waiting for the BBB to sort it out now.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I came in for a cleaning. A new hygienist began poking my gums of every tooth. With each tooth she documented. She dug and dug. When she was done, the dentist who had seen me 6 months prior asked me if I was in an accident. If I experienced some trauma to cause my sudden gum issue. All odd questions. Immediately I felt something is fishy going on. Money. New person doing good to bring money in for Aspen whether or not it’s honorable. I left that day extremely uncomfortable and disappointed in their practice. I returned at a later date and requested my regular hygienist to clean my teeth, after the former bad experience. She found nothing wrong with my gums.

At another time I needed a new crown. It took the assistant three times to get the impression. I was used as a guinea pig. Finally the last impression worked. When I returned to have the cap fitted. I left with promise. Shortly thereafter the cap came out. Went back again to have the cap cemented in. I left and in just a few days the cap came out again. I went back for a third time and the dentist on call that day had no success in fitting the cap in properly and she began filing down the cap that was fitted just fine prior. Horrific experience. Never in my life did I have such challenges. Inexperienced staff. I’d never recommend.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My company changed plans to CIGNA with limited choices in my area. Tried Aspen, Inverness, FL. I've seen my previous dentist often & hate to change. Aspen will not schedule a simple cleaning which I get every 6 months with my previous dentist. Aspen has to do a new patient evaluation first. I was told to arrive 15 minutes early for paperwork, at 330pm. They did a tremendous number of XRays. Never seen anything like that. Then I sat in a back "lounge" for an hour. Next they moved me to a treatment room & I sat for another hour. The whole time I could hear everything in the other rooms, discussing treatment plans and issues, taking people to a business manager's office afterward to discuss financing. The only thing I could not hear was the financing discussions but it reminded me of a car dealership.

They have a strict sales process they follow while customer sits & waits & wonders what happens next. After 2.5 hours waiting to find out what happens to me after xrays, waiting for some kind of gum examine I heard, then heard a doctor visit was next, then followed by the trip to the business manager's office for a finance talk, I just left. I arrived at 330pm & left 6pm. Only did the x-rays & never saw a hygienist or a doctor. I didn't want to wait longer & see who was on the night shift... laff. I'm not that curious and can smell a setup. I'm old enough to know when to run and find a real dentist. Recommend you find someplace else unless you like car dealership like sales operations.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I went to Aspen Dental in Venice Florida with an appointment due to a single tooth that needed to be extracted. I was informed that because I had no insurance and was a new patient they would do a free exam and x-rays. I arrived early for the appointment and filled out four pages of information before being led to a room for full face x-rays and then individual tooth x-rays. I advised thru-out the process that I scheduled this appointment to extract a single tooth. Following the radiating of my head I was led to another room where a dentist conducted a full exam agreeing the tooth I complained about needed to be extracted. But first I would need a host of other services like deep cleaning which would total, as I was soon to be informed by their financial (telemarketer) almost $7,000.00.

To top it all off they might not be able to extract the tooth of my original complaint today. WHAT!!! Also if they did the extraction it would not cost the $131.00 I was quoted at the time of the appointment but rather $300.00. I could not wait to get out of that ripoff place. So... If you go there remember... You have been warned. PS. I still have the bad tooth and toothache.

Original review: March 25, 2019

2 weeks ago I chipped a tooth. I was happy when I called Aspen Dental the next day & was told they could see me that same afternoon. I went for the appointment and was immediately submitted to extensive x-rays, prodding & poking of the gums - this all took 1.5 hours. I was then told to wait & someone would come to get me - I assumed it would be to get my tooth fixed. After about 20 minutes of waiting I went to the front office & was told that the clerk was having problems with the computer. After an additional 10-15 minutes she finally printed out about 10 pages of suggested treatments totaling $3200.00 after insurance paid. She asked me when I would like to get an appointment to start the treatment. I reminded her I first needed to have the chipped tooth fixed - she gave me an appointment for 2 weeks later.

Today was my appointment at 8:30 AM. I was waiting outside their office at 8:15 AM when I received a recorded phone call asking me to call in order to reschedule my appointment. I went in the office at this time and asked what was going on. The clerk told me I had to reschedule because the dentist called out. I asked if there was no other dentist available to take care of me. She said there was only 1 other dentist and that their schedule was full and she rudely said there was nothing she could do.

Needless to say I was livid - since I had already prepaid for this service I told them I demanded a full refund and expect to see it on my account within a couple of days. The clerk turned her chair around and totally disrespected me. This is the worst example of customer service I have ever encountered. I guess I should not be surprised since I am thoroughly convinced (based on what I have since read about Aspen Dental) the in order to be a part of Aspen Dental you have to be an absolute ** moron. Be advised - Aspen Dental sucks!!!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I went to Aspen Dental for a regular check-up and cleaning. I have not missed regular check-ups for years (I go every 6 months - regular check-ups and cleanings, floss daily, etc.). My appointment was at noon and they did not see me until 1 PM. The hygienist came in and poked at my gums indicating numbers, but as she was rattling off numbers, she was no longer poking the gums and just saying numbers. She indicated I had severe gingivitis (which I do not) and needed a deep cleaning that the insurance does not pay for. She spent less than 3 minutes minutes with me. Did not ask me about my history or anything. After the deep cleaning, then I could go to the 6-month regular cleaning.

The dentist came in and spent all of two minutes with me and did not look at my teeth, or the 18+ x-rays they took or even the forms that I filled out and provided online prior to my appointment. He told me he is the only Dr. in the practice and they see 40 patients a day. Then proceeded to tell me I needed a root canal on a tooth and everything else was fine. The office manager was pushing the service recommended and kept asking me where I work, which was on the forms I had to fill out that no one read. DO NOT GO THERE - THEY ARE THERE TO UPSELL YOU ON SERVICES THAT ARE NOT EVEN WARRANTED.

Original review: March 22, 2019

After 30 xrays I felt sick from radiation exposure then had to wait in waiting room. My gut said this didn’t feel right so I looked up reviews. Most were bad oh no

so I waited & got called on. They did exactly what the bad reviews said they would like a script can’t make this ** up. They told me they don’t do cleanings then why didn’t they tell me this when I called??? Deception the lie is there up front with all their services.

Original review: March 22, 2019

The visit started out well. I had my x-rays and then the hygienist came in and looked at my teeth and told me how great everything looked and I only needed a light cleaning. Then the doctor came in and told me that I needed a crown on one tooth and a tooth on the top was completely dead and couldn't be saved. I was told I needed to have that tooth removed and implant put in. Mind you I've never had any pain or any problems whatsoever. I was then sent into a little office with a lady who gave me the financial breakdown. Even with insurance the cost was $4,500. I went in for a basic check-up and a cleaning and left with nothing. My insurance covers the cleaning 100% but they still wanted to charge me for cleaning. Now that tooth is killing me where they decided to dig and poke it.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was apprehensive for my first appointment. Thought they would try to use fear tactics to sell other services, I was very wrong. They were thorough yet not pushy. It was probably my best experience with a dentist. Dr. ** was amazing! The entire staff was amazing and this will be my dentist going forward. I highly recommend if you are looking for a good, yet affordable place that will tell you the honest facts.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I had a good experience with Aspen Dental about five or six years ago. I had my dentures replaced. The staff and doctors were professional and did not push additional procedures. We paid cash for my new dentures and I am still happy with them.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I went to Aspen Dental after about a year of not going to the dentist. I brush my teeth three times a day and floss. They started with X-rays and then brought me into another room with a dental hygienist. She began "assessing my gums" by stabbing them with the dental tool and calling out numbers to the scribe. (This was the first time in my life this type of test was ever performed on me). After she finishes she explains that I have moderate stage of gum disease (forget the medical term she used) and said I would need deep cleaning with antibiotics. At this point they still had me fooled. Then the dentist came in and immediately asked if I "grind my teeth at night", no I don't, but nonetheless, she recommends a $400 "nightguard" for grinding my teeth at night.

At this point they have you thinking you have the worst hygiene on the planet. That's when they bring you into the sales room. This woman legit said "So that went pretty well, let's look at the damages, so after insurance it would be $2800 for the deep cleaning and antibiotics." That's when it hit me that it was a scam. I should have known right away my gums didn't decay that much in one year. I'm not kidding when I say I said "yeah right" and got up and left. I immediately googled "Aspen Dental ripoff" and sure enough I get to this website and I read hundreds of people telling the EXACT same story as me. Do. Not. Go. Here. I am going for a "second opinion" at a more reputable dentist and they already quoted me far less over the phone for a worse case scenario. I'm still astonished that this dentistry gets away with a scam like this, it's beyond me.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I did not have dental insurance so their promotion of free x-rays and exam seemed like a good deal. The final result that day was a long list of problems and an estimate for over $7,000. I found a dental plan to help me pay, Careington Care 500 Series. I have called several times trying to get an appointment, as I have now broken a tooth. They never answer the phone. You must leave a message and wait for their return call. I told them I had broken a tooth and now had a dental plan, giving them all the info. They called back after verifying my info.

They gave me an appointment for Monday but insisted that I pay them over the phone first, $729, before looking at the tooth. They claim that I must pay for the appointment and the amount was for deep cleaning, antibiotics, a test to see if I had mouth cancer, and the extraction of the tooth. They had already decided that the tooth, which they hadn't seen, needed to be pulled. I went to another dentist. I am getting a root canal and crown for $1200. I am glad I will be keeping the tooth.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I am an established patient with Aspen Dental in Toledo, Ohio. Went for an appointment today, which I made a couple weeks ago. I had informed them when I made the appointment, the reason for my visit was a broken tooth or filling. I went back to the x-ray room, they x-rayed the tooth and put me in the procedure room to wait for the dentist. She then comes in and tells me that the tooth/filling is broken and when would I like to come back to have it done. Sorry, why would I wait 2 weeks to just come in for an x-ray?

I told her that I wanted it done now, which she then agreed to do. She gave me the ** injection and almost immediately tried to work on the tooth. When I told her that I could feel pain, she then gave me a second injection of **, then her and the assistant basically sat there for about 5 minutes before she tried to drill again. Once again, I was in pain. She then informs me that I would have to reschedule for another time since the ** wasn't working, instead of giving the medication more time to work, or just giving me more. I argued that I needed it done today, why couldn't she give me more ** and wait a bit to finish. She tells me that she had already given me 2 injections, and that I was just "nervous", then walked out of the room to see her next patient, which I overheard her telling the assistant was an implant (much more $ than she was getting for my filling).

I then went to the waiting room to wait in order to speak to the office manager, who was busy selling someone their overpriced dental financing to talk to me. Once she was done, I was told that they could see if there was another location that could finish my filling, as they had already drilled out a portion of it and I insisted that it had to be finished today. She told me that there were no available appointments anywhere for that day. I then went on to ask why the dentist couldn't just give me more **, wait a bit, then do it. She told me that the appointment that I had made for that day was a "limited visit" and that the dentist agreed to do the filling as a courtesy, but since I wasn't able to be numbed, then she couldn't finish.

Told me that she couldn't give me more **, said it could cause heart racing - believe me, I've had more than 1 shot to have procedures done there in the past, so that was BS. I then told the manager that the dentist was inept at her job, that I had her fill a cavity in the past that I had to argue with her about because it was still painful many months afterwards. The office manager then went on to tell me "I'm not going to allow you to badmouth my doctor or the staff". I then asked for my x-rays, they were given to me, as well, I asked for the corporate office number, the dentist's name and her name (office manager). She gave these to me and I left with the intention of finding another dentist in the area that could finish the tooth.

I then went to my car to use my phone to find another dentist. About 15 minutes after I left, I received a call from another office manager who apologized for what happened and asked me to see if they could squeeze me in at another location. I agreed and she was able to get me in at another Aspen Dental location, which was halfway across town. I made it there, and it was a MUCH better office, with a dentist who actually knew what he was doing. I was really numb by then, so he tried to drill, but I was still feeling pain. He did what any experienced dentist would do, he gave me more **! He went to work on another patient, then was able to come back and finish the drilling and filling. Imagine that, a dentist that actually knows what they're doing and how to do it.

I plan to report this dentist from the original office to the Ohio State Dental Board. First of all, you don't MINIMIZE a patient's pain, try to gaslight them by telling them it's not pain, it's being "nervous", and since this is not the first time I've been minimized by this particular dentist in regards to pain she caused, I think I'm more than warranted to report this. I have never been "nervous" about a dental procedure, she's just inept at her job! Stay away from the Toledo, Ohio location of Aspen Dental would be my suggestion. The one I went to that finished my dental work was in Perrysburg, Ohio, and I would recommend them, it's worth the drive!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I had a temporary crown placed on Thursday morning; Sunday evening, it disintegrated in my mouth although I had carefully avoided chewing on that side of my mouth all weekend. I called 1st thing Monday morning to get in for a repair and was offered an appt the following day, or the option of walking in and waiting to be squeezed in on Monday. I needed the tooth protected, and I needed it right away; the woman on the phone apologized that their schedule was full, and again offered me the walk in option - with the caveat that I would probably be waiting hours. The temporary installation had failed, and my perception is that, when there's a customer problem you fix it as quickly and seamlessly as possible - it's called customer "service" for a reason! Aspen had none.

I contacted several other dental facilities in the area, explained my situation to each one. I ended up at another provider on Monday morning who did the repair and with whom I felt a high level of confidence; the other provider will be completing my crown work at slightly less than half of the price quoted by Aspen. I would recommend careful shopping when in need of dental work, and I would not recommend Aspen after this experience. Additionally, I paid to have two temporary crowns on the initial Thursday visit; only one was done due to the time constraints of the dentist (she had car trouble and my appointment was pushed back an hour). However, because they request payment before you have anything done, I'd paid for the anticipated two crowns. Will be interesting to see how difficult a refund may be.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Just this morning my husband went into the office to what we thought was going to be for impressions, & extractions for his new partial. We had been there in October for the initial consultation, and were told that his next visit would be to get impressions and do the extractions. We were told otherwise once we got there. I naturally became upset because we had already planned for my husband's time from being away from work. I wanted to make sure my husband would have everything completed before going back to work. I was assertive in my tone, and I have a naturally loud voice so the staff assumed I was being rude.

When one of the staff members wanted me to make payment, I said that the price might need adjusting because he recently got a tooth extracted. I thought it was one of the top teeth they were planning on pulling. The lady asked if I knew which one it was. I said I didn't and asked if they could just look to see which one it was. The receptionist insisted that I call the dentist that pulled the tooth to get the information. I was dumbfounded at this point, because a simple look in his mouth would have answered her question. I ended up calling the other dentist, and I asked for the information Aspen was looking for. The lady immediately cracked up and asked the same question I did. Why couldn't they just look? I agreed with them.

Meanwhile the Aspen Receptionist went to go complain to the dentist and told her I was being rude to the staff. I never cussed or screamed at them. I was assertive and like I said naturally loud, but never cruel. When the receptionist came back to the front, I let her know which tooth it was. I was calm at the time. Soon after my husband comes out and tells me that the dentist is going to refuse to see him, if I don't apologize to her staff. At this point I do become livid. How can they threaten a patient of theirs for a problem they have with someone else.

Even if I am his spouse, they have no right to treat him like that. The dentist should have come directly to me to handle the problem. Not once did I scream or cuss, but boy I wanted to. I even apologized to her and explained how I have a naturally loud voice and that what she was experiencing was how I am all the time. I even tried seeking sympathy for being a diabetic. Right now my sugar is uncontrolled and my mood can be rough for people to handle. She didn't want to hear any excuses and refused my apology. The next best thing I could think of to defuse the situation was to leave the office. So I did.

A few seconds later my husband comes out and says that they refused services to him. That made me more upset, and I went back inside and told them I would call Aspen Corporate and the Texas Department of Insurance. Calling the Texas Department of Insurance does not make sense, but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time. I know I didn't handle things at the end very well, but my husband should not have had to suffer for it. Worst experience ever! If I could give a zero, I would.

Original review: March 7, 2019

3 yrs ago husband had full upper dentures and lower partial denture done. Now the lower partial denture were too attached to two of his permanent teeth that were not in the best condition even at that time. We were not informed that our insurance would only cover dentures for 5 yrs. Plus if teeth failed we would have to put another $5000 out because they wanted husband to get full upper and lower dentures again, not just the lowers. What a racket!

Aspen Dental expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Aspen Dental practices are individually owned and operated but share a commitment to similar values, like compassion and respect, and receive business support from Aspen Dental Management, Inc. There are almost 550 Aspen Dental practices across the United States serving over 3.7 million patients a year.

• Options: Aspen Dental offer four styles of full dentures and three styles of partial dentures, so patients can find a denture product that meets their needs and budget. They also offer single tooth implant and implant-supported dentures.

• On-site denture lab: All Aspen Dental locations have an on-site dental lab. This allows patients to get their dentures, implants, crowns and bridges as fast as possible.

• Guarantee: Aspen Dental offers a money-back guarantee on all dentures, both full and partial sets. If patients are unhappy, they have three months to return the dentures and request a full refund.

• General dentistry: Aspen Dental practices offer a wide array of dental services in addition to dentures and implants. Those looking for a dentist to meet all their oral health needs will appreciate this variety of services.

• Costs and discounts: Interested consumers can visit the website for their local Aspen Dental location to see a list of fees for all available services. They can also find available deals and special pricing offers listed on the website.

• Best for: consumers who want a single dentist for all their needs and those who need service quickly.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs