Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
1.20/5

Troy, MI

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

48 DentalWorks Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

Run for your life. The dentist who worked on me was totally unprofessional and incompetent. She came in filled to greet you until she was working on your mouth. She spoke to you from the back of your head. While attempting to complete a root canal, she was overwhelmed; stopped the procedure and sent me to a specialist and had me return 4 hours later for a simple filling. The statements increased overtime although there was no additional services rendered. I am looking to receive the exact billing over the two year period to verify the exact amount of overcharge.

Original review: July 14, 2019

This dental office, one of many in the DentalWorks franchise, does business in a dishonest fashion and should not be trusted. They gave me a treatment estimate of $600. When all the work is done I find out from my insurer that specific treatments were not covered. I have no doubt they knew this and chose not to tell me. So instead of a $600 bill which I paid in advance of the treatment, I am stuck with an additional $1000 payment. Of course, I could have called the insurance myself. Lesson learned. However, until I met these guys, I trusted dentists. I believed when they gave a treatment estimate they knew, at a very minimum, what services were covered. I know they knew and chose to let me go forward so they could fall back on the small print, "it was just an estimate". Stay away from this business and others in the franchise.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2019

So 2 weeks ago I request my records a person by the name Deb, email me X-rays. I called her numerous times and she lied and said she would forward them, when I asked for her name and title she hung up. This is unacceptable behavior. And if this is the face that we see at the front desk of Dental works I will not use my insurance or pay money to a company whose staff has shown a lack of respect. She has been unprofessional to the point that she told the claims rep she was tired of me calling. This Debbie lady is way out of line at this office and she needs to be replaced. Or DentalWorks will lose many customers.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Worse business ever. 1st experience, DentalWorks didn't even give me my teeth. They were so misfitting. Instead they fitted for a second pair. The technician was horrible, trying to push & shove, yet they hurt causing excruciating pain. Tech said, "you have to get used to them". Wrong, I have been wearing dentures for 10 years, NEVER hurt like this. Now to make a 3rd set, they tried to get me to sign a paper that I would pay for this set. WHAT....I already paid $2,750 & never got a quality set yet, therefore I refused. They made a 3rd set, wrong teeth than the ones I have chosen & the gums are huge. I am sooo disappointed, had to go to my daughter's wedding & graduate college with NO teeth. 3 years later, still no teeth & they are supposed to be insured for 10 years. Go to Aspen Dental. I am going to picket them sitting on their sidewalk every chance I get.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Avoid DentalWorks (Durham, NC) like the plague. Most horrible dental experience I've ever had. I should have known something was wrong when I asked Dr. Z how long he'd been in practice and he wouldn't answer me. Every tooth he worked on developed severe infection and had to be pulled after it was crowned. His staff was either untrained or inexperienced and actually sent me out the door with a cotton roll still in my mouth, which I couldn't feel because he overused the anesthetic and half my face was paralyzed for hours.

He offered a bridge as compensation for me losing 3 teeth and I had to have a root canal through the bridge because he let infection in again with poor temporary bridge that kept falling out even though I only had it about 2 weeks. He guaranteed his work, yet will not return my call or honor his guarantee. So I'm out another $2k. Get a 2nd opinion and a 3rd opinion. Only go to a dentist that has been referred to you by a trusted friend who is also their patient. If you need a root canal go to an endodontist not a general dentist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DentalWorks?

Original review: April 11, 2019

I've been going to DentalWorks for at least 10 years, maybe more. However this was my first (and only) time at the Kannapolis, NC location. I had just moved and it was closer than driving to the location I had moved from. I went in for a simple cleaning Feb 2018 which was pretty routine. I wasn't until a couple months later when I received a bill in the mail saying I owed just under $300. So I immediately called my insurance company for details. I have Tricare so sometimes there are issues depending on where the claim was sent. As expected my insurance company told me DentalWorks sent it to the Active duty side (a different insurance company) and that they needed to resubmit it to the reserve side (my insurance company). So I was being billed as someone who walked in with no coverage at all. Simple enough to fix. I've had this happen a lot.

I contact DentalWorks and give them the address and number to my insurance... Again. Front desk lady assures me she submitted it to the right people the first time, but says she'll resubmit it again. Jun 2018 I receive another bill for $133. This isn't typical of a cleaning and I contact DentalWorks. They don't answer nor do they return my call so I contact my insurance company where I am informed that DentalWorks was charging me for the x-rays but they were charging me $56.40 too much. I only owe them $76.60. So I call on a regular basis. My phone calls go unanswered and my voicemails are ignored, not one call back. The one call that did get answered (on a Monday with open office hours) I was told that they were closed but she would have someone call me back.

I insisted that she needed my name and number for that to happen. And two days later after no callback I physically went into the Office and explained my situation to the front desk lady. She said she'd make note of it and someone would be in touch. No callback, so in August I started to call consistently (I wanted to clear this bill before moving to a new city), and on the rare chance I got an answer it was met with the same, "We'll call you back." Jan 2019 I post a negative review on their Facebook page and within days someone responded with: "We understand your frustration. We have also been informed that the office manager has discussed your insurance concerns with you prior to your entering this negative review. If that is not the case, and you wish to further discuss your concerns, please contact our Patient Quality Assurance Department by calling 866-892-9274. Thank you."

Eleven months from the date of service I received this dismissive generic response and I had not yet spoken with the office manager. I of course call the QA number. I also got another number from another source said to be for the main office, 800 487 4867. Both of these numbers are automated. You can’t get in touch with a live person. You get sent to prompt 3 where you give your name, phone number, brief description of issue and account number and someone will return your call in 24 to 48 hours. I left several messages over a week’s time, no call back from the QA office. Late Jan 2019 QA contacts the Kannapolis DentalWorks, and the Office Manager calls me.

I explain my situation and she says she spoke with my insurance company and she claims that my insurance company says I owe $133. I tell her that my insurance company has been telling me the amount of $76.60 since June of 2018. So she said she would contact them again. That was the last I have heard from her. I received an adjusted bill in Feb 2019 for $92.73 and this bill unlike the others lists Patient names. There is another name on my bill. So I have been calling to get an explanation for this erroneous amount and to inquire who the additional person is on my bill. They only answered three times in the March. All three times I spoke with Allison, the new girl, that says she can only take a message or a payment from me. All three times I was told the office manager was unavailable. It doesn't appear likely that she will speak with me. It seems like she just wants to ignore me until they can send this to a collection agency.

Overall I feel that DentalWorks has no checks and balances system in place. So when you have an office that doesn't do their job, there is no way to contact someone in a higher position nor can you escalate the issue. There are no email addresses (I've asked and none have been provided) that help to prove you have been in correspondence trying to address an issue, so no paper trail to back you up. You are just given an automated QA number under the guise of several different numbers, which then gathers your information and if a real person exists on the other side... they just contact the very office that has been ignoring you or not addressing your issue. They aren't BBB accredited and my attempts and going through BBB to get a resolution haven't been fruitful. I'm redirected from the main BBB page to the BBB of Southern Piedmont, which is two phone numbers.

Original review: March 15, 2019

This is the worst dental office I’ve ever been too. I’ve been coming to them for over 2 years and felt forced into staying with the treatment plan because of my Ortho care. They’ve changed my doctor with no warning or notice to me at all. Never called to inform me that another doctor would take over my Treatment. They’ve canceled multiple appointments and lied and said it was the doctor who needed to reschedule, but in reality they let her go. I’ve had two Orthodontist since I’ve started treatment, and if you know Ortho you know doctors do not like to work on another doctor's work. It was HELL. I had the worst experience at this office.

On top of it they have HORRIBLE customer service. The manager is terrible too! No accountability for the terrible service. The Ortho department is a ** show!!! The Turnover rate with Drs and Assistants are normal at this place. It’s like a zoo. Nobody knows what’s going on. Don’t waste your time nor money. I would recommend Ortho or Dr **. She’s rude and very disrespectful. I had to walk out of an appointment because of the way she thought she was going to speak to me. Because her or the assistant didn’t know what was going on. I would give it a -5 Stars if I could. Nothing, but Hell dealing with these people. Go to an office with professionals, but if it’s convenient and you want to give it a try let Angel do your cleaning he’s the only saving grace for this messy ** hole of a dental office.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Rushed work, no follow through, shabby work, and money is the issue. Dr ** will tell you a price and after it’s done, watch out because you’ll get a bill twice or three times what you were originally quoted. I asked for a complete list of services twice and received nothing. Work is hurried, rushed. No follow through. Once I confronted them about the disparity in what I was quoted and what I was actually billed and they basically turned a deaf ear. Never again.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I first went to DentalWorks about a year ago. My first experience went fine but then when I went again for my next cleaning most of the staff had changed and the new hygienist was in such a hurry because the dentist happened to be available at the time that she hardly did a good job. The dentist had also changed and though he was friendly enough I was having a hard time believing all the problems I supposedly had now. So I went on to schedule a frenectomy as they suggested. They proceeded to cancel my appointment 3 TIMES. I was extremely frustrated as all of the cancellations occurred the day of or the day before. I had to make arrangements at work and they kept changing it which I found to be very disrespectful of my time.

The final time they cancelled they left a voicemail that they were "closing for an uncertain amount of time" and to call a different branch. They wouldn't tell me why they were closing or respond to my calls. This was where I finally gave up and decided I would never go again which I left in a voicemail asking that they cancel my future appointments and to tell me why they closed.

Turns out they didn't cancel my appointment and I got a call asking me to confirm my appointment and I told them I didn't intend to return and to cancel and not call me again. Now a month later I received a bill for a visit that supposedly occurred 90 days ago and they were demanding I pay a bill for a service I never had. I never even received a first bill so to claim I had an overdue balance for a month I never even went is very frustrating. I've tried to call and talk to billing but they keep ignoring me. I would never recommend anyone go here as they do not respect their patients and are incredibly disorganized and rude.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

So my daughter needed a root canal and a crown which she got at DentalWorks 82nd St In Castleton Indianapolis, IN. The root canal went as good as a root canal could go but she did have some difficulty with the temporary crown. It came off three times and had to be put back on. The permanent crown never showed up on time and her appointment had to be rescheduled twice. Finally the crown was on. Fast forward 6 months we moved her to Colorado. The very first weekend she was there boom toothache. Of course it was the same tooth the root canal and crown were on. She went to an emergency 24 hour dentist who determined she needed another root canal in the same tooth. He sent her to a specialist. Over the weekend while waiting on her appointment the crown literally blew or popped off her tooth. I was told this was due to the gas building up from the infection.

It took two visits to complete the root canal and of course after she had to wait for it to heal before the crown could be put back on. The specialist said the root canal she had at DentalWorks was not completed properly. One line was not completed and there were two branches that weren’t even touched. Finally after getting the ok that the infection was gone and the tooth had healed she went to a new dentist with the crown in hopes that they could just cement it back on. Now keep in mind that I immediately contacted DentalWorks so they were well aware of what was happening. The crown could not be used due to the tooth moving. It just simply didn’t fit on her tooth anymore. I had to pay out of pocket for the full amount for both the crown and root canal due to her insurance benefits being used for the year and the fact the insurance will only pay once every 5 years for a recrown.

DentalWorks told me on more times than I can count that they were going to retract the claims so the benefits would go back and I could receive some of my money back. Well I feel like they just basically lied to me over and over. I got them everything they ask for. Records even pictures that showed the crown wouldn’t go back on but still nothing. It’s now been 9 months and I’m pretty sure nothing has been done. I’m going to file a complaint with my insurance company, the BBB, and the state dental association. I was really hoping that they would make it right but there not that kind of dental group. If I want to get any of my money back I’m going to have to file in small claims court. They have basically lied to me and gave me the runaround for 9 months. Due yourself a favor and go someplace else.

DentalWorks expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Dental Works is a registered trade mark of Dental One Inc., a dental service management organization. It is not an insurance company. Dental Works aims to provide access to state-of-the-art treatment with affordable and flexible payments. The company began in the early 1990s and has nearly 160 locations across 13 states.

• Flexible scheduling: Dental Works partners with dentists who are open nights and weekends.

• Any type of plan: Dentists in the Dental Works network are known for accepting a wide range of dental insurance plans.

• Financing options: If a payment is ever too much, it can easily be financed.

• All sorts of care: From general cleanings and cosmetic dentistry to dentures and emergency care, Dental Works provides access to all sorts of dental care.

• Easy to find: Locate a nearby dentist with a simple website search.

• Best for: Dental Works is best for individuals and families looking for dentists and dental practices with flexible scheduling and payment options for dentist visits.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

DentalWorks Company Information