Call toll free
4.78/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CountryWide Debt Relief has over 30 years of combined experience in helping people find the best debt consolidation option. Contact us for a free consultation to see your Debt Consolidation Options. Credit is not required to qualify.

*Debt Services ONLY available in the following states: Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Michigan, New York, Virginia

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

440 CountryWide Debt Relief Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I'm a single mom. I had to get loans then I was behind on my rent, so I was living paycheck to paycheck to pay the loans and the interest. I couldn't afford it and at the time, different people were saying to go bankruptcy but I heard that that's not good. A lot of people were also saying just to leave it alone but I said no. If I did that then it would all come back to me. So, I googled for help with the loan and CountryWide popped up online. I clicked on it, called them, and got some information. One of the people there was letting me know how it was gonna work, what I was gonna do, and what I could afford to. In the end, I reached out to consolidate my loans into one so that way, I could make monthly payments instead of paying all my debts out and going crazy.

It has been an awesome experience because anytime I had a question, I could always call CountryWide and they'd answer. Even if somebody wasn't in, I still got a call back. One time, I missed one payment and I had to call. I let them know that I didn't have the money at the time and they were able to help me even if I just asked them to take it out of my account a little bit late. In fact, they worked with me the whole time I was on their program.

The application was a long process since I was in a lot of debt but it felt worth it because I'm finally completely done. I've learned from my experience and I've grown a lot. I really appreciate the time that they took to help me get where I'm at. My interactions with their reps also went great because when I was done with the process, they called and let me know about it. They kept me updated and when I moved, I still was able to reach out with them to let them know that I moved and that everything was good. I really thank them for sticking by me. My credit hasn't jumped up a lot but to get that notice saying that I completed the program and that there are other opportunities was very exciting for me.

I work with a lot of people who are also single moms and some of us kinda overdo it. So I refer them to CountryWide and tell them that it was the best thing that happened to me. There were people that didn't like the program only because their payment was too high. But I told them that they gotta remember that all of their debts are consolidated into one. You they have to be able to stick with it and be prepared for what's gonna happen. So the program could get you confused in the beginning but when it comes to different parts of it, it's worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

When I was having financial hardship, my friend referred me to CountryWide Debt Relief who had a good experience with them. I enrolled with them as well so I submitted all the requirements, I waited for a little bit, then they approved me. When I had a question, I called them and then they called me and let me know what was happening. They sent me a statement for what was settled and what was going on. Their service is good. I didn't even know that I was done until they let me know. A couple of days after, they gave me back the refund that I overpay. They gave me cards and I already referred my three friends to them. They like it. I'm also referring them to some other friends who are having hardship in paying their bills.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

CountryWide Debt Relief contacted me over the phone. At that time, I needed help paying my debt and they took care of some of it. They helped me resolve my issues and it was great working with them. I was able to get people on the phone when I called as well. However, I think that they could be a lot quicker in whatever they do when they received information from someone to be able to work the bills out. I wasn’t too impressed with how long it took for them to actually work out and pay a certain bill or contract. They would take forever just to do the simplest thing. For some of my bills, I was able to call people up myself and begin working that day. For them, it would be about a week. I wound up having to put some money and paying off my stuff myself.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I didn't have to have a start-up fee right away when I went with CountryWide and that was I liked most about them. It gave me some time for my payment to be due like the following month once I've joined. They've been of great help to me. If I had one of the companies on the program kept calling me, even though they were told to stop, I would contact CountryWide and they would assist me on what to do. They pretty much took care of it and I stopped hearing from the creditor. Their customer support is awesome. They don't kick you to the curb when they're done with you. The payment plan was affordable for me, and it worked out well. My credit score has been going up, which I'm super excited about. It's just been a weight lifted off my shoulders.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I had a lot of debt. I called CountryWide Debt Relief since they said that they would loan up to so much, just like on their signature debt. But then, after they looked at how much I owed, they told me that it was impossible. We talked for a little while and then I told them what I'd put out a month. They said that they could do better than that. Also, the guy I talked to put forth some good ideas, and so I decided to go and use their services. The signing up process was very nice and the payment plan they set me up with was indeed better than what I was putting out. I was really suffocating there for a while, and then it was about $75 less than I was putting out and it really helped me a lot. If I ever find a person who is having the same problem that I had, I would recommend CountryWide Debt Relief to him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CountryWide Debt Relief?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

CountryWide Debt Relief cleared up my two credit cards. The process was pretty simple and easy. They knocked some of the money off the credit cards and I had to pay it off within two years. The payments were weekly and automatic pay. Everything worked out well and I finished last November. I'd tell friends to give CountryWide Debt Relief a shot.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I wanted to take care of my credit card. CountryWide's salesperson called me and said I was okay and then I signed up. He was quite nice and pleasant. He seems to know what he's doing. He followed up. But I don't know how the money was used.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

CountryWide is a good company and I have to recommend them. They can help you with your problems and offer debt relief. I had a problem on my Visa and they fixed it. I signed with them and got debt relief, and they worked with my debt, taking about 40% out of my debt.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I went through a divorce and CountryWide made life a lot easier because I didn't have to worry about the debt. The program was all about the issues that I had experienced. So the service was good. What also worked for me was the easier payments as far as automatic payments. I had told them what I had as far as the budget and they worked with that budget. The payments were kinda high but I had to do what I needed to do. So I took that out of the equation and it was pretty much satisfactory. They even reimbursed me whatever the older payments were. That was a good thing. Whatever negotiation they did, they reimbursed me and I kept the money. That was cool. That turned me on.

CountryWide also took care of all the people that were looking for me as far as the creditors. They did all of the negotiation and told me what I needed to do. It was not announced in the bind where I could make the payments but then they pushed it for the dates that we had negotiated on. So they took care of it. I was very comfortable working with CountryWide. There were two people that I was involved with and there was great customer service. They were also sensitive to my needs.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We had a rather large debt combining all of our creditors and leaving us of security, so we decided we needed to do something. We did some research and found CountryWide Debt Relief. After looking at other companies, we decided to go to someone that’s local. They have an office in Santa Ana, California so, we chose them. It was a good thing we chose them. I had to fill out certain forms with the information during the enrollment, so it wasn’t as difficult of a process. The difficulty was getting it started because we were under the gun with our creditors. It wasn’t that difficult, however, a little tedious but nothing major.

Most of the stuff was outstanding as it pertains their customer service. They were always available and they explained everything in detail where we could understand what the steps are to take. They kept on top of things and everyone was good. The thing that we appreciated the most was the fact that there were a couple of times where I called and I was rather nervous or a little upset and I sort of took it out on them. But I apologized and they understood. They helped me to remain calm because I was getting calls from the creditors. Mark, Mary, Antonio, and Luisa were the main ones that helped and they were excellent in terms of explaining everything.

The cost seemed a little high. But then, after working with it, the monthly payment was much less than what we had to put forth with each creditor. So, trying to learn how it works, we had to stick with it because long-term, it was gonna benefit us. When we first started, we thought it was gonna take forever. But now, it’s done. We completed the program on November 30th of last year and things seem better. We get a new budget, and so, it worked really well for us, better than I thought. I feel more at ease and know that there are companies out there that do work with you. Also, there was nothing hidden as far as charges were concerned or anything of that nature. We lucked out in going through CountryWide. I’ve shared this with other people within my family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a credit card that I had defaulted on. I wanted to find a way to pay it off so I got in touch with CountryWide Debt Relief. Everyone was helpful, got back with me and answered my questions. So far, I paid off the debt and finished it early. It took me a year to finish the program. The one thing that wasn't super transparent was the cost. I knew that there were certain costs but I didn't get a statement so it was a bit hard to know where the costs go. I couldn't even tell exactly how much I paid to CountryWide. There should be a quarterly statement that clarifies where a certain money is going. That would be helpful. Overall, I had a great experience with CountryWide Debt Relief.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was doing good and then after a while, my job went really low. I was falling behind on my debt and I got sued by one of my credit cards. I saw CountryWide Debt Relief's number on one of the poles and I called in. When I talked to them, they told me they could work with me. When I was signing up with them, I called them two or three times because I couldn't understand the process at first. But after a while, the rep told me, "Oh, no, you just gotta put a certain amount and from then, you do a monthly thing."

I dive or scuba so we don't work all year long. My check was a direct overdraft on my account. And two or three times, I was able to call and tell them if they could hold my check for two or three extra days and they did it for me which was really great. It was a 36 months program and I already completed it. I love CountryWide's service. I was very comfortable with the cost and they started removing the cards back out of my credit so my credit scores started picking up fast. I had a really great experience with them. I referred a coworker to them and she started three months ago.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I got hurt at work so I couldn't work and I fell behind in everything. When I saw CountryWide, I called them. The young lady I spoke to when I called the 800 number was very good. And then they asked me all the information, got all the information from me, and we took it from there. They were very excellent. I tried to get some of my friends to do it with CountryWide but they didn't do it. Other than that, CountryWide did me a beautiful instant justice. You can't beat them. The cost was great for the debt I was in as well.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My bills were starting to be overloaded. I couldn't afford all the payment, and so I wanted to get one big payment and consolidate everything. It was easier for me. I was working with a debt company but then, I got a letter from a lawyer saying I was being sued and they didn't have attorney services. CountryWide happened to send me a letter and said something about attorneys or something to that effect. So, I called them and they offered attorney services and so, I decided to go with CountryWide to help me out. The program they signed me up for was they put all my credit debt into one big lump sum and they had me pay 653 a month. We came up with the payment amount because it was the same amount that I was paying from the other company. The rep asked me if that was okay and if I was able to handle that payment and I said yes. So, we stuck to that payment.

The program was perfect. My credit score went up and nobody has called me and sent any letters. It's all settled. It took a couple of years and the negotiator was really good. That was a nice job and he was really, really helpful. He took his time in talking to me. When I first called in, I was in a panic because there was somebody who sued me. I didn't have all my information that I needed at that time. So, I had said to call him back a couple of times. And he was very polite and patient each time. Also, I was 100% comfortable working with their reps. Anytime I called, they were right on anything I ask. They knew exactly what I was asking and if they didn't know, I got a call right back. Working with CountryWide made life so much better. It gave me peace of mind. My girlfriend is in debt big time and I've already told her about CountryWide.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I had a couple of bills out there that I was able to put together and I ended up with personal illness so I wasn’t able to do everything. I went ahead and did a search on CountryWide and it seems like they were able to help me. They had a lot of good comments. Getting enrolled in their program was pretty easy. I went ahead, did a call, and got everything together. On their end, they had everything that was out there under my name, so they were able to put it together. I had one person that was always on top of everything and tried to make sure that I didn’t have anything else or what was next to do. And if there were any issues or anything, to let them know about it. The cost was a little bit high within my budget but in the end, I was able at least to come out with whatever I was paying. I am done with the program and working with CountryWide was pretty good.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Working with CountryWide, I was able to settle my debts within two and a half years, instead of the original three and half years timeline. They helped me quickly when I came to them, and everything went as planned. They were efficient with what they did and they were willing to work with me, especially to make sure that everything can get handled in a timely manner. And I was comfortable working with them. They were friendly and whenever I had questions and I left a voicemail for them to call me back, they got back to me quickly, within a day or two. Then if they didn’t have the answer for me upfront, they got someone who can answer the questions for me. If I had a question about either a payment or adding or discontinuing one of the debt collectors, they were able to look it up and see if they were still in business or they were willing just to settle upfront.

They also worked with my income and with my payments. They weren't trying to get more than what I could pay. If I was short on a payment, they would help me out and add it to my next month. So they weren't too strict, and they were lenient with my payments. And then within a year, my credit started to go back up, that I had more opportunities to get things under my name without having to think of being late on a payment or having something in debt or nothing paid. It helped a lot. It does show up as a charge-off account on my credit, but that’s better than just not paying them at all.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Working with CountryWide was good, fairly simple and very helpful. I had a car that went to collection and after getting CountryWide's name from an advertisement, I immediately went there. They were the one that I read and I felt comfortable with. Also, it was nearby. They helped me with everything because I didn't know where to go, and they were able to answer all my questions. They were also trying to help me with other debt that we had at the time, but I just wanted to focus on one. I didn't feel pressured into having to do more or less, but they always advise me if I needed more help that they would be there. They gave me a breakdown of everything else, too. I got an email that said they're gonna be sending me a refund. I had already completed the program and the creditor was satisfied. So, there was a refund coming which was a pleasant surprise.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We were a little nervous about going into CountryWide because we had heard some horror stories about these kind of companies. But they took care of us, they helped us get out of debt, and they were great. In the beginning, we had a lot of interaction with them. Later on, we didn’t hear much from them, but everything went as planned and as they had said it would. We talked to them about what we thought we could afford as far as the monthly payments, and they worked around that and helped us figure out a plan. It worked out perfectly. We had a few things we needed to discuss with them a couple of times, and they were always responsive and easy to get a hold of. I would recommend them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you Julie for sharing your debt relief story and recommendation. I'm glad to hear you found our services helpful and our team responsive. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I had a couple of bills that needed to be paid off. I called CountryWide to see how it would work. I worked with Antonio and I had a phone number where I could get in touch with him. Anytime I called or had a question, he was available. We went back-and-forth with one of the bills, but it was because of the company. I'm now done with the program and I was really satisfied with the service as well as its cost. CountryWide has taken off a lot of stress from me and now that everything is paid off, I'm good. I have given their number out to other people and I told them that it worked for me. I had a very good experience with CountryWide.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your "very good experience" with our team. I'm glad to hear you were "satisfied with the service as well as its cost." and "CountryWide has taken off a lot of stress from [you] and now that everything is paid off, I[you're] good." Congratulations on completing the program. Enjoy a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had listened to a radio station and came across CountryWide Debt Relief. I decided to call and find out exactly what they do, so I got more information from them. I had my own counselor and I didn’t have to deal with everybody else, which made it very easy. My counselor and I talked about the timeline, but I understood that the process sometimes takes a little longer depending on which creditor we were dealing with. I got a rough estimate and I knew that it would take some time because it’s a process. I liked the first counselor. He was very helpful and whenever I called in and had questions about things, he got the questions answered. If there was any progress, he would call me or send me an email letting me know what was going on.

I knew when he had spoken with the creditors. He was sending me information and letting me know that they were contacting them and working on a settlement at that time. And as soon as that was completed, he would let me know. If I didn’t hear from them, I knew it hasn’t been completed yet. On the other hand, there was not much interaction with the second one unless I called.

The payment plan that they set up for me was easy to manage and I didn’t have any problems with it. CountryWide was really good. They explained everything upfront - how much it would cost and how often they would take the money out of my account. If I have creditors, I would have several deals, but I had that one deal with them and I told them to pay it faster. CountryWide simplified the solution and that was what I was looking for. I wanted to get the money back to the creditors, but I wanted to make sure that I didn’t have to hear anything from them and I would only be hearing from CountryWide, and that was what they did. They sent the creditors letters to let them know that CountryWide had the accounts and that they were the ones working on it.

I’m done with the program and it was nice because when you are going through life’s crisis, you find that your creditors aren’t very sympathetic with what you’re going through. They don’t care and the bottom line is money. I wanted to get the problem done that’s why I contacted CountryWide. I also wanted to make sure that the creditors got their money. I always paid my bills, but I had a crisis in my family where I almost lost my son, so I had to stop working. When I explained that to CountryWide, they were really good. They said that they would take care of it and would help me through all of that, and they did. Everything that I needed to be done, they got it done.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When my husband passed away, all the interest on the credit cards was more than I could handle. I liked the way CountryWide treated me. There were a couple of different people that I talked to but I didn’t have to work with one certain person. They all took care of me and they were able to assist. They were very above-board, let me know what everything was and sent me mail to let me know what was paid off. So, it was really good. They asked me what I was comfortable with regarding payment and I paid a monthly sum. Cost-wise, I was very much satisfied. I'm all finished and I found the experience very good. CountryWide got me out of debt and got me back on the road where I can enjoy credit again. Without my husband, I didn’t have the income, so I was a little more aware of what I could spend.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I want to fix my bad credit and pay off my debt. I'm making one payment with CountryWide and I let them deal with all of the lawyers and the phone calls. I'll be able to rebuild my credit, too. Everything is sort out but I’m not too satisfied with the quality of their service. They were flexible when it comes to payments, but they need to be more visible to their customers. They never reached out. It was me reaching out to them instead of them reaching out to me. But they were okay on the callback. CountryWide will help you pay off your debt. You should go with it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I lost money in the stock market in ’02 and then again in ’08 because it was invested through our company that we retired from back in the Midwest. CountryWide was great. They helped me with my credit card and it was all done over the phone. They got with my credit card companies and they tried to reach an agreement with them for either 40%, 50% or 60% of what I owed and they were able to get all the companies to settle. There was one that didn’t wanna settle and it took a little longer.

I sent the information to them and I really never ever called them. I just started sending monthly payments in and I never missed any. They sent notices after a couple of years or whatever was paid off. They always let me know where I was standing. I’ve been done with the program for five years. I was happy with everything they did. They made things better for me because on credit cards, I was making about $800 a month payments and I could cut it to where it was cut down to like $400 over a three-year period. Everything went smooth and I would recommend them. It worked well for me.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Hello Charles, thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. Congratulations on completing your program by allowing us to negotiate on your behalf and settle your credit card debt. I'm happy to hear our plan allowed you to make half the monthly credit card payments your were making. Enjoy living a #DebtFreesStressFree life.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I had a lot of debt and I lost my job. So, I couldn’t pay everybody. The person from CountryWide who helped me explained it to me carefully and he understood my needs. They asked me how much money I make and they put together all my accounts and they came up with $1,000 a month. They choose to settle whatever will be the most for the year. So, it may be less, depends on the settlements. They said normally 50% less, sometimes it’s full, sometimes it’s a fixed fee. Every time they set all the payments, they sent me a letter. They keep me updated with the information about the automatic account and every time I needed to talk to someone or have questions, they would answer the phone, then they would get back to me.

The program was for four years, I’m now done with it and it only took me three and a half years. It was a good experience working with them. Since then, I don’t like to buy on credit anymore. If I spend something, it gets paid off the next month because I don’t wanna make the same mistake, it wasn’t easy for me to pay $1,000 a month. They’re really great. I recommend it to friends and family when they need to solve these kinds of issues.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your debt relief story Fatima and we appreciate your recommendation and referrals. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program, I' happy to hear our team was responsive and understanding to your situation. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

We had bills quickly piling up after having an accident, so we needed debt relief services. Compared to other companies, CountryWide was more reasonable, talks to you and makes you feel comfortable, so I didn’t take too long to make a decision to go ahead with them. My life has been a lot better since I did, I don’t have to be struggling to pay all my bills.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Dear Damion, thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. I'm glad to hear you decided to move forward with a plan and your "life has been a lot better since [you] did, [and you] don't have to struggle to pay all [your] bills." Wishing you continued success. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I had a number of credit cards that I needed to take care of. The other company was charging a lot more than CountryWide did. CountryWide took all of my debts and consolidated them. I made a monthly payment and they paid off each one as they received money. I'm finished with it right now. They took care of everything off my account, but the one thing I found when I've been trying to refinance is they have charge-offs on there and it affected my credit. Even so, Antonio, the rep, was good. He would call me back promptly. Also, after two months, I got the cost of the service lowered and CountryWide extended it out a little bit.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Hi Jacqueline, thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. I'm glad to hear Antonio was helpful. Congratulations on completing your program and living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I was in debt and needed to consolidate and pay down with just one payment. I had used CountryWide's service before and it was pretty good, so I chose to go with them again. When I did the setup, their reps were very helpful. They walked me through the process, what they would be doing, and how my bills would be paid. We lifted out what all my different creditors were and CountryWide contacted them all and let them know that CountryWide would be paying instead of me. CountryWide paid all the debt and then, I paid CountryWide.

Anytime I would call them, they would call or email me back and they would always let me know what I needed to do. Also, they counseled me to not open up any more creditors. The program took four years and it made me more aware of how I should be managing my credit and how to stay on a good path with it. Overall, I had a good experience and if they’re still around and I need their assistance again, I hope I can work with them again.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Dear Jason thank you for sharing your debt relief story and returning to Countrywide Debt Relief. I'm happy to hear "the program ... made [you] more aware of how [you] should be managing [your] credit and how to stay on a good path." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I had few personal loans and a bad credit and CountryWide Debt Relief was very helpful. I called a few people before them and they're the only people that gave me a hand when I needed it. I couldn’t take one more stress and when I called them, they opened a window for me. My life started changing. They would deal with all the payment and the creditors. I'm already over with the program and if I needed to go back to them, I will. Also, the person I worked with was very professional. He helped me a lot and he speaks my language. He gave me his cellphone so when I asked a question, I just call him and he was there to answer the questions. He was on the line.

In the beginning, they calculated the expense that I have on rent, food, and everything. That was the way they came up with the payment that I was gonna pay and they were gonna make sure that I have enough money to all my utilities and all my expenses. Every time they closed account, they would always keep me updated or they'd call me and they tell me everything like what they were gonna do. CountryWide is one of the best company.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Dear Candelario, thank you for sharing your debt relief story and experience with our team. It brings me joy to hear you say we "opened a window for [you]." And "[your] life started changing." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy a life that's #DebtFreeStressFree.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I knew I needed debt relief when I couldn’t pay the bills. CountryWide was the first one I called, they took me so I didn’t try anything else. They were fantastic with me. I was panicky when I first called them, but they settled me down and worked with me. I felt very comfortable. I was in the program for 12 months, which wasn’t as long as I thought it was going to be. Also, the monthly payments fit my budget. I got a monthly statement on the internet every month that I could go in and check. After two months, they sent me a letter, and they had it broken down to how many months I have left. I never missed a payment to them. I had to call them and tell them that I’m gonna pay later. I always make sure the money was there, that it was automatically withdrawn from my account every month. Since working with CountryWide, I am now debt free and I won’t ever have any more debts.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you Lee for sharing your debt relief story. I'm happy to hear you felt "comfortable" with our team and "the monthly payments fit [your] budget." Congratulations on completing the program and living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

CountryWide helped me out. They sent me some information through the mail and they wanted to know if I wanted them to help me, so I called them. We got on right away. I had a three-year contract with them. I had about four five accounts that they had to settle. I paid that off in three years. I was paying $565 a month. I worked with Christy and she was very nice and helpful. CountryWide got me out of debt. I'm all current with my bills and I’m very happy. I would recommend them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Hi Ambrocio, thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. I'm happy to hear we "got you out of debt." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program and living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

CountryWide Debt Relief expert review by Barbara Friedberg

CountryWide Debt Relief is a 30-year-old debt settlement company that educates its clients about options to avoid bankruptcy. The firm is a proactive company that negotiates with debtors, coordinates repayment and teaches clients about improving their credit scores.

• Services: CountryWide provides debt settlement, debt consolidation, consumer credit counseling and bankruptcy guidance services.

• Debt settlement: CountryWide Debt Relief negotiates with debtors to help lower the total repayment of clients' credit card and unsecured debts.

• Debt consolidation: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients consolidate debt into a single, low-interest loan to lower their monthly debt payments.

• Bankruptcy advice: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients explore debt repayment strategies to avoid bankruptcy and its impact on their credit histories.

• Debtor communication: Since many people find it stressful to negotiate with their debtors, CountryWide Debt Relief handles all communications with creditors.

• Fees: CountryWide Debt Relief charges a flat, 18 percent fee only after the debts are settled.

• Best for: consumers who want to avoid bankruptcy by consolidating their debts.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg
Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor

CountryWide Debt Relief questions and answers

What problem is CountryWide Debt Relief trying to solve?
Provide debt consolidation help for consumers looking to get out of debt.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
CountryWide is different than the rest because we focus on solving consumers’ debt issues by recommending the best possible debt consolidation option. For consumers with good credit and good income, we recommend a Debt Consolidation loan with the primary focus on reducing the interest rate. For Consumers that have credit challenges, we can offer debt negotiation with the focus on reducing the amount of debt and time required to pay off that debt.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our company helps consumers that are overburdened by debt. We provide a plan to help consumers get out of debt within 60 months or less.
How does CountryWide Debt Relief measure success?
We measure success based on the completion rate of consumers that enroll in our Debt Consolidation program. While the industry completion rate is 55%, our company completion rate is at 75%. We do this because we are focused on helping the consumers get out of debt from the beginning of the process to the end. We don’t over promise and under deliver. Our underwriting guidelines are focused on helping consumers get out of debt, not on our company revenue.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
The biggest change in our industry has been the implementation of the Federal Trade Commission’s TSR rule which prevents companies from deceptive marketing practices and unfair fees. We take pride in providing the Best Debt Consolidation program while being compliant with the Federal Trade Commission’s TSR rule.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about CountryWide Debt Relief?
We wish every consumer knew that our Debt Consolidation Program has the highest graduation rate at 75% compared to our competitors' average graduation rate of 55%.

CountryWide Debt Relief Company Information