toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a bunch of credit card debts, and I was paying the minimum on them and I wasn’t getting anywhere. I called CountryWide Debt Relief since I wanted to hear what they had to say. The people at CountryWide talked to me a little bit about how the program worked and how it would help, and it worked out fine. It was great working with them, and I’m done with all my debt.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was having a little bit of trouble financially and CountryWide Debt Relief came through. They helped me get in control of the debts I had. They helped me pay off some bills and my credit score went up at that time. I would have different people if I called in but that was okay because they would answer my questions and take care of my concerns. It was a good experience all around. They portrayed their company honestly. If I have friends that are having financial problems, I would have no problem recommending them with CountryWide.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. I'm happy to hear you found our representative to be "very thorough with her job." Congratulations on completing our debt settlement program for less than the estimated settlement amount. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I enjoyed everything that CountryWide did. I highly recommend them to anyone that has problems with debt and maybe get debt relief. The representatives that I worked with at CountryWide Debt Relief was very thorough with her job. She explained everything and how it worked, took my application and went on from there. I thank God that they came in at the right time. It allowed my husband and me to have a chance to get free of debt. It was the best thing to happen to us at the time that it happened.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for your feedback, it's wonderful to hear our team described as "courteous and helpful." I'm glad you reached out to us to assist in eliminate your debt so you can buy your first home. Congratulations on completing our debt settlement program for less than the estimated settlement amount. Enjoy living in your new home #DebtFreeStressFree.

Original review: May 3, 2016

Countrywide helped me get out of debt and improve my credit when I was in some trouble and needed some help out. Their team was very courteous, helpful and walked me through the entire scene. The main guy that I dealt with was always available to take my call if I ever had questions. I had roughly a year left on my timeframe to have everything paid off, but I was in the process of trying to buy my first house, and once I got toward the end of it, he helped me close out my few remaining accounts at a very timely manner and wrapped everything up. So, I was able to get approved for my house. They worked for me, got all my settlements down to a reasonable number, and I didn't have to do a whole lot. So, I would highly recommend them if anybody was in need.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wish I had a deal with CountryWide the first time because the first couple of companies I dealt with just took my money and ran. But CountryWide took the time to make sure everything was going the right way and they kept me on top of things. Their staff was right on and whenever I needed to talk to them about something, they didn’t hesitate to call or send me a message very quick. I got A1 credit right now and I got everything paid off and my credit is in tiptop shape. A little bit too late, but that’s all right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CountryWide Debt Relief?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Overall, I had a good experience with CountryWide. I called them up and described what my issue was. And then they told me what they did. They’re very upfront about everything, and handled my issue.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to clean up my credit and it was difficult based on what I was making. I was already working with a very aggressive collection company, and they had filed a case against me. I thought that I do need help with this one. Then I found CountryWide Debt Relief. The lady I worked with was very professional, helpful, sympathetic and compassionate with the way she dealt with me. Then Richard, the negotiator, was a very good negotiator. We had a 30-month deal. It was an aggressive one, but I am debt-free now. They negotiated to bring my debts 60% down, it made me liquidate all my debts in just 30 months. It was a quick relief of my debts of a high debt. It was not only debt relief but also relief emotionally and the stress associated with having a big debt, and also relief from callers and collectors.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was with another debt relief company but they weren't helping me very well. I then called CountryWide and told them my situation, and they helped me out right away. They were straightforward and gave me all the information. There were no hidden fees with the cost. They told me as long as I make my payments on time, then everything will be cleared. They said I could probably finish paying my debts if I put in more than what they're asking for. They also said it will take about five years, but it took a lot less than that.

Working with CountryWide was a great relief. I was able to not struggle anymore, and I'm just stretching out whatever funds that we have. We have a little extra to do other things and be able to help out with my two kids who are in college now. When everything was then settled, I received a few letters from CountryWide and they told me that even though I'm done with their program, and I finished paying and everything is settled with the companies, if I'm still receiving letters saying that there is a balance that's still due, just send it to them because everything is already settled. They said they negotiated with the companies and that's how much it was. When I received a few letters, I told CountryWide who it was from and the account number. They said not to worry about it and not to contact these companies. They said they'll talk to them about it. After that, those letters stopped. And with that, I will really recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The people at CountryWide were very professional. They explained what was gonna happen and what the cost were gonna be. They did a very fine job of taking care of the situation. My experience has been very rewarding.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I didn’t want to file bankruptcy because it didn’t feel right to me. I got help from CountryWide Debt Relief and they were pretty awesome. They explained everything to me and worked with me all the way through. I’ve already got my credit built back up and everything’s been paid off. I’m ready to retire and I’m free. I’d recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The team seemed pretty straightforward, it was a good interaction. The service from CountryWide would definitely be a service I'd use again if I ever needed it - it was hassle-free.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm done with the program and it was okay working with CountryWide. The reps were all helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

CountryWide has been excellent and professional. They let me know what they can and cannot do, and took care of things. So far, everything is working out. I got one more thing that I have someone working on my credit. Once I get that out of the way, I will see some real improvement. And if anything else comes about, I will recommend that they call CountryWide.

Factual basis uncertain

We had a lot of debt and I became disabled. My husband took a cut in pay and everything just hit us all at once. I didn’t want to file bankruptcy, so I chose to go with CountryWide Debt Relief. It seemed to be good in the beginning. But toward the end, I was very unsatisfied because the majority of my bills got paid except two that was left in the end. The last two were owed $800 apiece, which would have come down to $400 at the most each. The last big bill got paid in January. So from January until May, they did nothing about it.

I called in their customer service and spoke to a person. The rep told me that the last two that haven’t gotten paid went up to $1,200 apiece. I was really upset because with anything over $600 I would get a 1099 Form from the IRS, and I had to pay taxes on that money. So I asked if they are going to pay my taxes for me and the rep told me that they need to get paid. And I’m like, “I understand that but I thought maybe you’d take care of my bills and then the rest would be yours to get paid.” I would’ve been over with my payment by June or July. And in between, I had to keep a record of what I paid and what I owed because they were trying to charge me more. I also kept a record every single time they made a payment. I was going to call the Better Business Bureau, but my husband told me to leave it alone.

It was terrible. As time went by, they couldn’t keep their dollar amount straight. I had to start asking them for proof of payment and it turns out they only paid this much and they were charging me this much. They apologized and said that they made a mistake. I understand that everybody makes mistakes but it just happened through the whole time. In the end, my records were to the penny. And then they sent me their copy on how much I paid. I had all my statements from the money that they took from my checking account. And I don’t think they realized I was going to do that because we went through a hard time throughout the process. I really didn’t appreciate what they did to me. It took a lot of calling and waiting for the calls to get returned. It took a lot of stress from me. Thank God it’s over and done with.

I understand they need to get paid for the service, but they have from January or December until May. And there was more than enough to pay those two bills and they never did. And then the one guy told me that it’s been too long now and they don’t have to pay the bills. I told them to pay it as I don’t need any more problems. They haven’t heard from me, but they’re going to. It's not right that I have to pay taxes on this. And I have all the paperwork here to prove it. Right now I’m waiting for the IRS. I’m expecting a 1099 Form for those two bills. And if I receive that, then I will try to see what I do about this because I didn’t think that was fair at all.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We love CountryWide Debt Relief because they helped my son a lot and made his life better. They said it’ll take two years to complete the program and pay everything, and it did. My son moved to Northern California even before the program was completed, so we communicated between the three of us: the company, my son, and me. Of course, he has to fix his credit because it affected his credit score and I have to help him with that but I haven’t done yet because I’ve been so busy myself. I’ll probably go to them if I’d be in the same situation as my son.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. Our records indicate that you completed our Debt Consolidation program over 12 months ago which was well ahead of schedule and you received a substantial refund check at the end because we were able to save a few thousand dollars more than we quoted at the time of enrollment. Perhaps you have us confused with another company as there are no longer payments being made into our program. We also show regular communication that was sent to you. One of Client Services Representatives will reach out to you to assist you with any needs you may have. Once again, Congratulations on becoming #DebtFreeStressFree.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I had a good experience working with CountryWide Debt Relief. I got it for 36 months and I'm still going through the program. However, I would like to get a statement in the mail, so I'd know what the balance of my loan is, because I'm really not that big on computers. Or maybe they could text it to me once a month.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to clear up my debts so I went with CountryWide. I didn't really have any problem with the team members at Countrywide and they seemed to answer my questions. I'm waiting to get all that crap removed from my credit reports. I think most of it comes off this month. However, I never got a statement from them of where every dollar went and who was paid.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was in Freedom Debt at first and I was just about done. But there was something else that came up, a judgment against me, and I was supposed to go to court. So they recommended a few places and CountryWide off the top of my head. We ran into a problem one time so we contacted CountryWide and they called us back. We were trying to get something off our credit. We went to Freedom Debt for it first but they declined because it had already gone through CountryWide. We had to contact the people themselves but it shows that the item was paid and there was nothing we can do.

CountryWide wasn't able to help us in that instance but we were satisfied that they tried to help us. They were also able to answer my questions or steered me in the right direction every time I called. Everybody was very kind as well. We actually ended up being done earlier than they said. CountryWide helped us out a lot. I try to give the word out about them to anybody that has debt problems.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Initially, CountryWide was wonderful. They answered all of my questions that I had and they broke it down. I had never been sued before, and because I didn’t want to deal with it, I wanted to clear it up and fix the problem. If someone’s having challenges with their credit or various things, they may not necessarily have the payment and tools readily available for them. And the person that I was dealing with, Janice, made me feel bad for not having the finances available and I did not appreciate that. I made the initial $300 payment that I had to come up with in order to start the process, which was really challenging. If people don’t have someone that can give them $300, they can’t start the process, which was not right. After that, I had to pay $100 which was more of a feasible amount that I could afford. But the upfront cost was hard.

I felt pressured that I had to borrow money from my brother to start the process, but I knew I was in a desperate situation. CountryWide helped me and they needed to provide more information about the process and how things are actually done. They helped me pay off the law suit; they got it to a settlement. However, Macy’s was the other creditor that did not comply like the one that was suing me. They still wanted their money. I still had to pay it off later because Macy’s refused to provide a document saying that it was canceled. And when I contacted CountryWide to help get it, the gentleman told me it wasn’t their problem, that they did their job and that was nothing they could do to help me.

I ended up buying another house, and I just bought a house in November. Because of the incomplete activity by CountryWide, I still had to pay $1,600 to Macy’s. I should never have gotten dropped just because whatever they did was insufficient. It’s a good program but if someone’s in the midst of financial challenges, I don’t want them to feel like they have a gun to their head and they have to do it; otherwise, there’s nothing to help them. There should be a better avenue for those that are in a financial crisis that are being sued. They told me they’re there to help the client that want to have help. Once I got the assistance that I needed, I got in a better financial situation. But I had to go through hoops, and sometimes, people can’t afford to go through hoops.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

CountryWide works for the consumers. Working with them made things have get better. I learned from my experience, that I now know the importance of having credit cards, and how they impact me in the long run. The only thing I didn't like is I was paying them, and then I had to pay IRS at the end of the year. But overall, it's a great experience.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for your review, it's wonderful to hear we helped "straighten things out" with your debt relief. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program for a settlement of less than 41%, where we exceeded expectations and saved even more. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

I wanted to get things straightened out, and CountryWide did a very good job. They were very nice, so I'd highly recommend them.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to work on your debt relief. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

CountryWide took care of my financial needs. Working with them helped me with my credit.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I want to thank CountryWide Debt Relief. I had to get rid of my debt so I gave them a call and they helped me out. They did what I needed them to do and they were willing to take care of me. When the process started, I didn’t even have to contact them once. They just went through with the whole thing until the debt was gone. It was a relief. Overall, it has been a great experience.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you reached out to our team to get you out of the "hole." It's a relief to refer your debt collectors to us and make the "calls stop." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program for less than the estimated settlement amount, exceeding expectations and saving even more. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I was in a hole and I had to dig myself out of it somehow and I'm not that savvy with finance. The CountryWide team was outstanding. They erased $16,000 of debt, and I am now debt-free with these credit cards. I'm doing my credit back up now, but I'd be in more hurt without them. When debt collectors call me up, all I do is give them the number and CountryWide would handle it, and then the calls would stop. I'm very pleased and satisfied with CountryWide and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

CountryWide was our re-lister and we bought a house from them. We had gone into debt for the house we bought and we were behind on everything, so CountryWide gave us a plan. They spoke to us about how much we could save and how the payments won't be that high. They explained our situation pretty well. They took a few weeks but they analyzed everything we had to pay and made everything simple for us. They came down with a good payment plan to keep us out of debt. The payment was a little hard but affordable.

CountryWide seemed to accomplish everything they said and we got out of debt in a few years. If not for them, we don't know how much in debt we still would have been. Maybe we could have lost everything. We went to them for help and they settled it. I would recommend them for anybody that's really in debt. We spoke about to my cousin who's trying to figure out how to get out of debt. I showed him how long it took us to get out of debt. He's still searching, but he's gonna keep CountryWide in his thoughts.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear we helped you and your co-worker with your debt relief. It's great to hear we "took a lot of stress" away and "got you out of a deep situation." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program for less than the estimated settlement amount. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

At first, I was afraid because I don't know if I'm overpaying this, but everything worked out really good with CountryWide. I really appreciated what they did to me. I didn't know what I need to do and they were there for me. They're really friendly, explained how it works, and answered any of my questions. They took a lot of stress out of me. They got me out of a deep situation that I was getting in and if I have anybody that is undergoing my situation, I'll give them CountryWide. I have recommended them to one of my friends at work who had a lot of debt. He got in and CountryWide helped him out as well. I appreciate all the hard work they did for me and for getting me out of this issue. So now I'm back on my feet well again.

CountryWide Debt Relief

I'm glad to hear we assisted you and your friend with your debt relief. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program, now that you are "released from debt" enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

One of my friends went through CountryWide Debt Relief long time ago so he helped me. I'm happy to have worked with them I'm already released from debts.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for your review and referral. I'm happy to hear our team helped "solve your problems." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

The people at Countrywide were friendly and tried to help me as nice as they could. In fact, my problems are already solved. If I get myself in a similar situation, I will go to them again, and if I know of anybody that needs that kind of help, I will refer them to Countrywide. It was a good experience.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for sharing your story and experience with our team of knowledgeable associates. I'm glad you found our reps be be helpful and informative throughout your debt relief process. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Countrywide Debt Relief's reps were very knowledgeable and walked me through the process. If I had questions or wanted clarifications on my credit report etc, they were able to send me the information. They were very informative and set me up with a clearing bank account, which I had direct access to also. So, from a reporting and communication standpoint, I was kept abreast of the situation the whole time whether it was them reaching out to me or me calling them,. It was a three-year relationship and they have made my life easier. Getting on a payment plan with them has freed me up and it wasn't as worrisome from a month-to-month basis and it was fair. I didn't want to go through bankruptcy so I wanted to try to figure out how best to do the settlement and to budget appropriately. So, setting aside that dollar amount each month definitely helped. I really appreciated their assistance in giving me a fresh start.

CountryWide Debt Relief

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear you decided to work with our team for your debt relief. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program for less than the estimated settlement amount; it's always a plus to exceed expectations by saving our clients additional money. I appreciate your feedback on communication. As you may already know, every settlement is communicated by a phone call, email and letter in the mail. Also each client has on-line access to log into their trust account at any time to monitor what is going on and what is being paid off. Thank you for your recommendation, enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

I was having difficulties with some companies that were crashing down on me financially and I received something in the mail from CountryWide. I didnt want to go to the alternative and I was in a pinch then. They were very helpful on the front end and everything worked out in an amicable way and was very positive. However, I would request a little more communication on their end about how things are going, what could they do to help and vice-versa just to fill you in on where you're at because I had no idea other than I was making payments every month. Every once in a while, I would get an email but the communication was kind of lacking in my opinion. I'm sure they have multiple people that they're working with but maybe a little more follow up on their end would be better. So they still have room to improve but I've recommended them to a friend. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

CountryWide Debt Relief is a 30-year-old debt settlement company that educates its clients about options to avoid bankruptcy. The firm is a proactive company that negotiates with debtors, coordinates repayment and teaches clients about improving their credit scores.

• Services: Debt settlement, debt consolidation, consumer credit counseling and bankruptcy guidance.
  • Debt settlement: CountryWide Debt Relief negotiates with debtors to help lower the total repayment of clients' credit card(s) and unsecured debts.
  • Debt consolidation: By consolidating debt into a single, low-interest loan, CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients lower their monthly debt payments.
  • Bankruptcy advice: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients explore debt repayment strategies so they may avoid bankruptcy, which can have long-lasting effects on credit.
  • Debtor communication: Since many people find it stressful to negotiate with their debtors, CountryWide Debt Relief handles all communications with banks, credit card companies and other institutions seeking repayment.
  • Fees: CountryWide Debt Relief charges a flat, 18 percent fee. The fee is not charged if a debt is not settled. Additionally, CountryWide doesn’t charge a fee unless the consumer can save at least 20 percent of the total debts that are enrolled in their Debt Relief program. All fees are transparent.
  • Best for Consumers facing financial hardship, individuals who are late paying debts, those who lack the possibility of paying their debts in the future and those facing a bankruptcy.