4.79/5
Based on 388 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

CountryWide Debt Relief has over 30 years of combined experience in helping people find the best debt consolidation option. Contact us for a free consultation to see your Debt Consolidation Options. Credit is not required to qualify.

*Debt Services ONLY available in the following states: Arizona, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Michigan, New York, Virginia

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 30, 2018

408 CountryWide Debt Relief Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 30, 2018

My credit cards were getting maxed out and I needed help to get 'em paid off instead of just paying the monthly fee. CountryWide was the one that came to me in the mail that day, and I called them. I got things through the mail and they would tell me to send it to them, which I did, and they handled it. Sometimes, I called who I thought was my agent and he would get changed to somebody else. The payment plan was difficult, but for the most part, it worked out great. They made it easy for me to stop using the credit cards and pay them off, and to this day I don't have a major credit card. The program took over two years and now I'm finished. I felt very comfortable as I was very pleased with them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. I'm happy to hear you "felt comfortable" with the program and "found it easy to stop using credit cards." Congratulations on completing your program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I decided to go with CountryWide Debt Relief just from talking to the guy when I initially called in. We've been contacted by one lawyer for over one bill. So between them and Higbee & Associates everything was settled and taken care of. The enrollment was super simple and we're now done with the program. I only had to speak with one of them and at the very end, we had one bill that we couldn't figure out where it was. Otherwise, the only time that I would hear from them was whenever they had received the settlement offer and they just shoot me an email to see if I wanted them to try some more.

The communication was perfectly fine. I'm not too long-winded. If you've got an offer, just send over the details. If I agree with it, I'll tell you yes or no. The process was relatively simple and painless. Plus I didn't have a problem with the cost. I think it was like a 20-something-dollar a month service fee. And then you get the Higbee & Associates to work with you. That's all included. The only thing that I would recommend and it's only because I didn't see it in the documentation initially, is they did send me an updated set of docs that had it. But in the initial set of documentation, they didn't mention anything about if you pulled out of the program with the hourly fee for Higbee would be for the work that had performed up to that point.

I think whenever I got the second documentation from them, which was just an update of the initial doc, it was like 300 bucks an hour or something. I'm sure because they went ahead sent me that. I didn't ask for it. There's just some updated documentation. Other than that I never had any issues. They always responded promptly whenever I would send them something. And I now have more money.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. We appreciate your excellent review. I'm happy to hear you found our program "simple and painless." Congratulations on completing your program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I had some debts and I couldn’t pay them, and my creditors wanted to sue me. A card of CountryWide Debt Relief came in the mail and I called and asked them if they could help me, and they talked to me and said that they could. I like CountryWide. They treated me really well. The whole program to pay my debt off took me three years and I completed it this year. I was gonna send them money, but they sent it back to me. They said that my program was completed. They wanted me to write a letter, but I never did. I appreciated that they did me a good favor and I wanted to thank them really bad. If I have to use CountryWide again, I would. The cost for their service was good. I was told to pay them and I paid them fast. If people come to me and say that they need a debt payoff, I’ll tell them to go to CountryWide Debt Relief.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you Jessie for your excellent review and recommendation. We appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program earlier than expected. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 27, 2018

When my credit cards with Capital One had served me papers for court suing me, I tried to be adequate about protecting my credit and my name and reached out to CountryWide. I looked at it as consolidating what was showing up on my TRW and they were able to assist me. They helped to relieve the phone calls and get the debts resolved. The negotiators I worked with were cool. They answered/returned my phone calls and their customer service, overall, was excellent. I was a little iffy at the beginning but then I noticed that the phone calls went away, the mails stopped, the things with my credit score seemed to go up, and I would get the notifications of what was paid off so after three months my confidence was a little bit stronger and felt like it was working and doing what it was supposed to do.

The cost in relation to the quality of the service was okay, but there was one time I had a financial situation and I wanted my payment to be lowered. I was told that if it was lowered, then it could possibly pay the debt off later than the expected time. They gave me a timeline of two years to finish the program and I had to grind it out with the payment that I was paying until my debt was over. It was a great relief and I would suggest the next person to possibly do a little bit more research before jumping in with something to see if there's something else out there that might be a little bit more affordable. The two-year plan and the payment was long for me and anything could have happened which would increase my debt. I just had to jump into it because I was under the gun and the clock was ticking for me.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad you were "confident" in our debt consolidation program and found our customer service excellent. Congratulations on completing the program and finding "relief." Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I needed a debt relief company and a friend of mine gave me the company that she was using which was CountryWide Debt Relief. I enrolled in their debt consolidation program and I had to give them all my accounts with the account numbers and a valid phone number so that they could take over everything. After that, they told me to stop making payments so that they could start settling with the companies. Their reps would email us and we'd contact them if we had any questions. If we had anybody harassing us, we would just give CountryWide the lawyer number associated with the account. Moreover, they'd take care of any legal proceeding and I didn't have any debtors or creditors calling me. They would settle and pay the accounts. Then CountryWide would send me a letter saying everything was settled. When things were being paid off, I'd get a monthly statement until I was finished.

There were times where we called and they didn't get back to us in a timely manner so they should work on getting back to their customer. Other than that, everything has been smooth. The cost was a little high, but because we needed to get things taken care of, we were at a point where it didn't matter. All things considered, it worked out. CountryWide was great. They settled all my debt and took care of everything for me 100%. Originally, they said it would take three years, but we did it in two and a half, so we're happy with that. There are a few things they should work on but I'd recommend CountryWide Debt Relief.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story, we appreciate your feedback and take your suggestions seriously. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program sooner than projected. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CountryWide Debt Relief?

Original review: April 18, 2018

CountryWide was reliable and they gave me good information. They didn't sound like a scam, and I was able to talk to the people hands-on and that made me feel comfortable. And they followed through with everything and everything's cleared up. They gave me documentation to show. I had a direct deposit out of my bank account for the payments and that worked out really well. I had a really good experience. There was only one thing from Capital One that they really didn't clear. But other than that, they cleared all my stuff and my credit score went up. I would highly recommend them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your awesome review. I'm happy to hear you describe our team as "reliable and followed through with everything." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: April 17, 2018

CountryWide's enrollment process was easy, and I was impressed with our negotiators' knowledge in what they were doing and they made everything super easy to understand. The only thing is CountryWide would always take the payment a little earlier. The payment was due on the 10th of every month and they would take it out two days before. But other than that, everything went smoothly. They cleared up all the debt that I had and they helped me clear up a bunch of collections so it went well. And I just finished last month with them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your excellent review! We read every review and appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had medical bills so I sought CountryWide Debt Relief's services and the cost was good. I just paid every month. But I had a few questions so I called them and nobody ever called me back. It took three years to finish the program but now, I don’t have any debts. I would tell a friend to give them a call and see what it’s all about if they ask about it.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. We appreciate the referral. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I got in touch with CountryWide Debt Relief and the settlement process was simple and straightforward and all the paperwork was easy. I needed some relief due to credit card issues. They did good in negotiating, too. It was reasonable, believable and wasn't something that was far-fetched. They worked with me on getting the amount and the time. The less I paid, the longer I'd be paying and the more I paid, the less time I'd pay. I would have liked getting a breakdown of what they have paid and what was left because they didn't send me a statement. They told me everything was in negotiations so, they couldn't give me an exact bill. An actual bill or a straight-up invoice would have been helpful so I know exactly what I'm looking at and I have something to look forward to. But I got a high outcome, so I'm happy.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your debt settlement story. Congratulations on completing the program. We'll have someone reach out to you to review your final settlement statement which was emailed and mailed to you at time of closing. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree

Original review: April 6, 2018

CountryWide Debt Relief said they could help me. I enrolled and it was easy, and they did everything for me. I really didn't have to do anything once I put the requirements in there. They helped me with the payment plan and I'm saving a lot right now because I have a case. I filed a lawsuit to some companies and it cost me a lot of money. I'm saving for court fees. Some companies had done me something very wrong and I filed a lawsuit. I am the plaintiff and I have to borrow a lot of money to get me a paralegal. And with CountryWide, I'm paying only $373 instead of paying about $1,500 and $2,000 a month. I'm very satisfied and I will recommend CountryWide.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your awesome review and sharing your debt consolidation story. We appreciate your feedback and recommendation. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. I'm glad you found our program easy and our team accessible. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: March 8, 2018

It was my second time going with CountryWide to help me and they were excellent. The experience with them was good and the guy who helped me treated me nicely and helped to get relief. They worked with me on my payment plan and it was good since at least, I could afford to pay. I'm very satisfied with CountryWide.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for reaching out to us again. I'm glad our payment plan was affordable and allowed you to eliminate your debt. Congratulations on completing the program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: March 6, 2018

When I lost a job, I got behind financially and I couldn't catch up. It was getting worse and I even ended up getting court action. I decided I needed to do something at that point and my attention was caught by CountryWide’s advertising on the radio. I gave them the information on what the debtors were and they solved the problem for me. They contacted all those debtors, consolidated all those debts and made arrangements. They told me how they would structure the program and what I would need to make available each month in order to pay the debts off in a set number of months. It was direct out of my check on a certain date each month and they simply paid my debts one at a time until it was satisfied.

Their negotiators were personable as well. They showed genuine concern to help me get through this and gave me some positive outlook that it was going to be okay. They assured me that the debtors were contacted and that every arrangement was made for how the payments would be made. Things worked out exactly the way they said it would and everything was perfect. The cost of the service was of no consequence to me either. I was just relieved in not having debtors call me and in knowing that things are being resolved. CountryWide has improved my credit score immediately although I’m still waiting on a couple of things to clear up from it and it can take time.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your debt consolidation story. I'm glad our team was there to help you out by providing relieve, eliminating debtor calls and getting things resolved. Congratulations on completing the program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Prior to getting CountryWide Debt Relief, I had called one company before, but they gave me a runaround. They were not definite on when everything would be over and they said they couldn’t handle some things. When I called CountryWide, they ensured me that they could do that, they would try to make it as cheap as possible and they didn't give me a runaround so, I went with them. The cost was fair and the service was really good.

The negotiator was reassuring and I felt really comfortable working with CountryWide because he was really nice to me. He told me to simply go along with the program, do everything right and make sure that the money is there so I won't fall behind. The payment plan was really good. He didn’t put any strain on me and it was easier because I was paying less than what I would if I was paying all the debts at one time. I fell behind once and they were understanding. They were also straightforward and did everything that they said they were going to.

The negotiator said that in about a year, I'd be through. Everything was dropping off one at a time. He told me I was closer to being debt-free and then, it happened in the month that they said I would be debt-free. They told me to simply take care of that and try not to get into any other debts. I followed everything they said and everything happened just like they said. I'm through with the program now and they even sent me a refund check for overpayment. We have more money left over and I can handle things now. I recommend them to anybody. I gave a couple of cards to a couple of people that I know and I also told them that CountryWide is a good company. Do everything that they say and you will be debt-free.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you Samuel for sharing your wonderful debt consolidation story. I'm glad you called us and followed the plan. Congratulations on completing the program as scheduled. I'm happy to hear you say "the cost was fair and the service was really good." Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I had probably $15,000-$16,000 worth of credit card debts that my husband and I had, and he passed away. I tried to keep up with payments, and I just couldn't, so I got really far behind. I had a house that was a rental property. I had a mortgage on it, and I was hoping to remodel it and move into it myself. However, my credit wouldn't allow me to do that, but CountryWide and I got it fixed anyway. The debt settlement process went fine, and anytime I had any questions, I called the negotiator and he talked to me. We agreed on the cost of the program, and they did what they needed to do.

CountryWide also worked with me on my payment plan options where I could afford it, and the negotiator did exactly what he said he was going to do, and he did a good job. CountryWide got a certain amount out of my bank account every month for two years, and every time I would get one card paid off, I would get a phone call and a letter in the mail from them, letting me know that this account has been settled and I'm done with it. I’m finished with the program now, and my credit score has improved. I already have recommended CountryWide, and I gave the number out to a couple of people and told them what the company did for me. Call CountryWide and see what they say. If they can help you, they will, if they can't, they won't.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you Nancy for your excellent review. It's wonderful to hear from our clients and their debt consolidation experience. I'm glad you found our team in your time of need. Congratulations on following the plan and completing the program. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I had a credit card that I wasn't making payments on and it became overextended. I called CountryWide Debt Relief and they're able to reduce it and pay it off for me. Enrolling with them took 30 minutes total. It was a couple of years ago when I started and I have completed the program. It took two years to pay off my $20,000 debt. I no longer have that debt. That's amazing and it feels great.

Their negotiator was pretty straightforward and they were very kind and understanding. They didn't make me feel bad for the situation that I was in and they came up with like the lowest rate possible that they could do. They're very professional. I went ahead and approved it. There were a couple of times when I had to change the date on the payment because my payment scale had changed and they were completely understanding and fine with that too. CountryWide was perfect. I didn't even realize I was being charged anything from them because they reduced the debts and they put their fees into my payment. It didn't even seem like I was making like an extra payment to them or anyone else.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Melissa M. We appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

CountryWide Debt Relief reached out to me and I went online to find out about them. They mailed my guidelines and I tried it. They told me what I needed to do and I did it. They told me what they were going to do when I accepted to go into the program. And they did what they say they were going to do and I was satisfied. After I listed everything I needed, they broke it down and told me how much I would have to pay. I agreed to it and they took it out every month. Their process was really easy and their program took away some debts. The negotiator would send me stuff once a bill was paid. One time, I haven't heard from them for a while and I had to call. He answered my questions so it has been okay. I have told my friend about CountryWide Debt Relief. She's overwhelmed right now but once she gets calm, she might be calling them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story and referring us your friend. I'm happy to hear our debt consolidation program met your needs and you can now live a #DebtFreeStressFree life. We appreciate your feedback.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I was so desperate that I almost filed for bankruptcy and then I looked at things online. My son told me not to believe them but I needed some help. I gave them all of my information and they looked at it and then said how much that they can offer for me, what they're going to negotiate to the company, the IRS, etc. But I learned a lesson. CountryWide Debt Relief has taken so long to process all activities of my debt and they ended up sending me to the IRS for cancellation. And at the end, for this part of the year, they said that they solved my portfolio for Sears, Citibank and all I've had. There just three items in there that they said they had solved but they did not because I got sent back to the IRS at the end of this year. I have two accounts that I got sent to them and got added to my income now from the last past year. That sucked because I made all this payment and they said they're done but not really because it went to the IRS.

I called them and asked what was going on, they said they were sorry that it took so long to process. I said, "Well, I started on June 2015 and why they're still not done on around April of the '16 that I still got to be reported." They said there's only one person working my account. I was okay with that. But then at the end that I got another one consolation from the IRS. I wasn't happy at the end since 2016. They counted all my debt to IRS and have to pay them back as income. So, they're supposed to figure out how to help me because I already made all this payment since June of 2015. I am dissatisfied and I would not recommend them to a friend.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I did debt consolidation with CountryWide and their enrollment process was pretty easy. If you do what they tell you to do, everything will be taken care of. I called them and they told me exactly what I needed to do as far as what they were looking for in terms of paperwork. The reps that I talked to were all nice. They were good at keeping me informed in what was going on and keeping me abreast of things. They made the payment plan very accommodating and it was easy for me to work with them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share your debt consolidation story, we appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear your found "the payment plan very accommodating and it was easy for [you] to work with [us]." Congratulations on completing the program, by following the plan. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

CountryWide Debt Relief reached out to me and it was something that I needed at that particular time so I gave them a call. I was involved in a program for two years so I was kind of going back. The process was smooth and streamlined. I've told them what I've wanted to have happened and they put together a plan together for me. They came back with a higher payment than what I had budgeted for and they worked with me to reduce that to what I was comfortable with paying. The program was certainly good. I wasn't dealing with the phone calls from the creditors anymore. That completely stopped which was totally helpful.

I only spoke to a negotiator only once. Other than that, they either left me a voicemail and told me what was happening and if I had any questions, I could call them back. I'm very busy so as long as I can receive the information and they were in communication enough, I will not be wondering what was going on. They did that and it totally worked for me. I made my payments on time and that went smoothly. I was able to look up my account online whenever I wanted to know where I was and how much I have left to pay which was very helpful as well.

I was done with the debt but I would caution them on what they tell people at the front-end that when they were negotiating, they would be their best. And that a lot of their clients received a refund at the end because they were able to reduce the amount of payment in that type of thing. Once I was finished with the program, my thought was I was going to get a certain amount because they might've given a dollar amount or estimate. In the end, I was told I'd only be getting $30 refund. So, they should steer away from that.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your debt consolidation program with CountryWide Debt Relief. We are so glad to hear that everything went smoothly for you and that you felt our communication was great. It's also good to know that our enrollment agents customized a plan for you that fell within your budget and was affordable for you. We do what most creditors do not. We take into account all your other bills and payments to get a better understanding of how much you can really afford and also work that in along your pay dates so your more important bills can be handled first.

Your feedback was shared with the team as there is no better way for us to improve customer experience than by listening to our clients. Some clients do see larger refunds than what you received but there is a greater chance of that occurring if all scheduled payments are made. In your case, we were able to complete all settlements so early that you saved almost an entire years worth of payments from being made. In reality that is much bigger than most refunds we have sent out. Congratulations again for completing your debt consolidation program so early! We wish you a Happy and Healthy #DebtFreeStressFree life!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I was with CountryWide Debt Relief for three years, and I made the last payment in November. They had their own lawyers and they helped me, and I liked them. I got along with them and they got along with me, and they helped me as much as they possibly could. There were a couple of relief negotiators and I had to talk to a few different people there. Once in a while, I’d get the same one because there were about four people that I had to talk to. I was really comfortable working with CountryWide and it really helped me with my credit score. I wasn’t making too much money. It was bi-monthly and I had my sister with me in my account, and they helped us. We had no problems. The cost was not that bad, but it depends if you have the money. If you don’t, it could hurt you. But I made two payments and they helped me out with that. I felt like I could get anything with my credit. I would recommend them to people and would go back with them if I had to.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story and referring your family and friends to us. We appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program in time for the holidays. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

CountryWide helped me with debt consolidation. I started online then, I filled up the paperwork they sent me and sent them the account numbers. They provided me with a payment plan I was comfortable with and I just paid for the amount that I owed. Also, their price was great. They took care of everything and they started paying off the debts. Every now and then, I got emails from them and if I had a question, I called them. I'm done with the program and it was great. My life has been wonderful ever since and I'll recommend them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story. It's great to hear you say, "my life has been wonderful ever since and I'll recommend them." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program and enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

CountryWide helped me in getting my debts together, getting back on track and putting me in the right direction. They did what they were supposed to. The negotiator, Mary, was wonderful. She was primarily the one that I dealt with and she was very flexible, always explained things to me and helped me every step of the way. I was impressed by her professionalism and her willingness to help. She also made sure I understood the program and everything that came along with it, including the benefits at the end of the program. Working with them was very comfortable. I felt great with the customer support that I received from them. The cost matched the service I received. Anybody would be satisfied working with them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story. We appreciate your feedback. It's wonderful to hear your describe your experience - "CountryWide helped me in getting my debts together, getting back on track and putting me in the right direction." Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I called different debt relief companies and they didn’t cover right, so I dealt with CountryWide whose customer service is better. I got in trouble with another company that was out of state and they were taking my money out of my checking account. Then they went into bankruptcy, and they still didn't give back all the money I sent them. But the CountryWide negotiator did what he said he was going to do, and it was fine. The payment plan was good and it was easy for me to pay it. Whenever I sent money to them, they could get it out of my checking account. It was hard to give up the money right, but I worked some other way and still let them get it, and now I’m doing good for Christmas this time. I’m debt free now. They did a good job for me and I appreciate what they did. If I get in this jam again, they would be the one I'd get. Plus, if I know somebody in debt, I would tell them to use CountryWide.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you decided to work with our team after another company didn't work out. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. It's wonderful to have a debt free holiday season. Enjoy living a #DebtFreeStressFree life.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Well I never got my quote as promised and instead I filled out all this question and answer stuff but still didn’t get my quote so no one better call me because now I’m no longer interested in this site. Do not try and talk me out of it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

The percentage rates on my three cards were too high. I tried to call them directly and negotiate but nobody talked to me. I went with a debt relief company but after six months, I didn't get the results I expected. So I asked for a refund and they gave me all my money back. Then CountryWide Debt Relief took over and did the job. They talked the better game and showed better results. They said that the credit people were going to keep on calling me and I didn’t have to answer if I didn’t want to. The only thing I needed to do was to tell those people that I was not taking any calls. When those people would call, I would give them another number they needed to call. We had to do a little settlement and CountryWide would send me something to sign. Then they would send it to the people to tell them to leave me alone. They were my intermediary.

They got three card companies off of my back and they did it case by case, one at a time. They would negotiate with my creditor and it would take about six to eight months before they would give me a figure. But in the meantime, I had to keep on paying CountryWide a certain fee. They asked if I could live with it and I said okay. Then they sent me some more papers which I signed it then they would close that one. After that, they would move on to the next account. Finally, I was out of debt and everything was paid off in August of 2013. CountryWide was topnotch and I'd highly recommend them to anybody who wants to get out of debt. I'd tell them to jump on it because they are a reputable company.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found us when the other debt relief company was unable to deliver. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program. We appreciate you recommendation. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had a whole bunch of accounts that I couldn't take care of because my husband lost his job and he wasn't bringing enough income. I was trying to look for a debt negotiation program without having to file bankruptcy. I then looked online and that's when I found the CountryWide. I went with them because the other company I talked to weren't as professional as them. Their whole process was so easy and it was convenient for us because with CountryWide, we only had to pay $369 instead of $1,000. Aside from the fact that they were able to settle, they saved us a lot of money. When I first signed up, my credit score was at 700 and it went down to 400. They did warn me about it, but they told me that it would go up after the process.

They were also really helpful throughout the whole process. When I opened the account with them, I did everything through my phone with DocuSign, then they verified with me all the information about the accounts and then I verified with them. They then told me my rights as someone being with the debt negotiation program. I had $20,000 worth of debt and it was all taken care of in less than 3 years, which was the duration of my program. It was really fast and easy. Also, whenever I had to ask for an extension since sometimes 16th wouldn't land on a Friday and that's when my husband gets paid, I would leave a message to my rep, then they would call me right away and take care of the payment arrangements. Whenever I wanted a message from the rep, she responds to me in no more than two hours.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review and sharing your debt relief story. We appreciate your feedback, I'm happy to hear our payment plan fit your needs. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program sooner than expected. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I went looking up debt consolidation on the internet and CountryWide popped up. I had some debt I wanted to get cleared up as quickly as I could. I spoke to CountryWide and they presented me with the options. They gave me the most information compared to other companies. They were also the first I was referred to and they had a good rating.

CountryWide said that they could line my debt all up and talk to my creditors and they did. I gave them the personal information that they needed to get it rolling and we set up a payment plan. I also gave them my bank information so they could debit payment every month. They broke the payment down in 36 months and said if I pay this much amount, I will be clear of it in X amount of time and that number was better than all the individual payments I was making. My debt amount was just shy of $10,000 and I paid $100 a month.

I started with them a year ago at the end of October of 2016 and I had finished their program since June of this year. I came in a little bit of money and I used it to pay off the rest of what I owe in the program. The negotiator, Tom, was very thorough. He lets me know what had popped up, what he had found, what he was able to settle, and what he was able to pay on. I didn’t have to do a lot of follow up with him. In the whole eight months, I made four calls to him and he was just on it.

My financial habits have changed dramatically. I’ve made leaps and bounds with my own personal credit and knowing that debt relief programs are out there, it provides a good amount of relief. But it's also enabled me to say I don’t want to have to do that again. Knowing that after the settlement they're available to keep me in my situation has created some peace of mind knowing that if I was ever to be in trouble again, I know exactly what to do instead of letting it go so far. If I had to recommend CountryWide to somebody else, I would send them to CountryWide straight away.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad to hear you found us online and everything worked out for you. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program sooner than excepted and for less. It's wonderful to hear you say "[your] financial habits have changed dramatically." #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I was searching on the internet when I found CountryWide and they responded immediately. I wanted to consolidate all my debts and it helped a lot because I'm paying one instead of multiple payments. My payments were manageable for me and the negotiator was very helpful. He always informed me whenever he closed a deal or when he wanted to close a deal, he'd ask me first if it's okay or not. We interacted via phone and email and everything was excellent. I also paid off my debts six months earlier and now, my life is easier because I don't have any more payments. My money goes towards the savings instead of paying debt. CountryWide was great and the cost was very good.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

It's wonderful to hear our clients share their debt relief story. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program sooner than expected and building a savings plan for your future. Enjoy living an "easier life without payments." #DebtFreeStressFree

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I got overwhelmed with credit card debt and I was with another company that I was really unhappy with. So I called around to different places to see what debt relief would suit my needs and I found CountryWide Debt Relief. They took five different credit cards and they negotiated with the credit card holders as to pay-off and they did a good job. I gave them more information and signed some documents online. And they started to give me some of the credit card calls in the beginning. The previous credit card company had done all the major work in terms of getting rid of all the calls from the creditors. And then I went to CountryWide Debt Relief and they didn’t really do much, it wasn’t really a strong business relationship. They were the holding unit until I was able to pay the whole total off which I did.

Mary, the woman calling out, was really good and I really liked her a lot. She was really spot-on and did a really good job. She called when she said she was going to call and took care of the items that were very stressful for me to take care of. I liked how they provided the legal service for the two credit card companies that tried to sue me so that was awesome. They took care of that really well. I negotiated a payments pay-off so I paid them $25,000, and now I’m done with the program. I was in a really bad place with all the debt and they were able to help pull me out of the other agreement that I had that wasn’t as good. It’s been great working with CountryWide. I remember too many of the low lights just because it was hard, but I don’t have any credit card debts or any incoming credit card anymore. Also, I would tell others to give them a shot and go with them.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. As you mentioned in your review, our notes indicate that your initial contact to CountryWide Debt Relief was because you were involved in litigation with 2 of your creditors and the previous company not only would not help you with those accounts, but dropped them from the program. That's horrible service that we can't seem to understand. We don't consider that major work on their part. Luckily you found us and as you saw, through our services we offer, we keep our clients protected when these things happen so our clients don't have to stress. The hard work was getting involved after the fact and securing good settlements on those accounts. We also don't see notes of you letting us know that a creditor was contacting you. Had you done so, it would have been dealt with in the same manner your lawsuits were. We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you and more than anything we are glad you are out of debt for much lower than our original estimate was. Best of luck to you in the future and we wish a #DebtFreeStressFree life!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I had a quite bit of debt from credit cards and did the consolidation with Countrywide, put everything together and then only pay one monthly payment. The CountryWide rep was very good and she did the negotiation. I talked with different persons and they sent me the result stating what's already settled and what they've done. It was worth it and the cost of the service was perfect. I live out a little more comfortable for now and stay away from the crazy things I did before. I appreciate all that CountryWide did for me and I’d recommend it.

CountryWide Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review and recommendation, we appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on completing your debt consolidation program and living a "little more comfortable" life. #DebtFreeStressFree is the way to be.

CountryWide Debt Relief expert review by Barbara Friedberg

CountryWide Debt Relief is a 30-year-old debt settlement company that educates its clients about options to avoid bankruptcy. The firm is a proactive company that negotiates with debtors, coordinates repayment and teaches clients about improving their credit scores.

• Services: CountryWide provides debt settlement, debt consolidation, consumer credit counseling and bankruptcy guidance services.

• Debt settlement: CountryWide Debt Relief negotiates with debtors to help lower the total repayment of clients' credit card and unsecured debts.

• Debt consolidation: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients consolidate debt into a single, low-interest loan to lower their monthly debt payments.

• Bankruptcy advice: CountryWide Debt Relief helps clients explore debt repayment strategies to avoid bankruptcy and its impact on their credit histories.

• Debtor communication: Since many people find it stressful to negotiate with their debtors, CountryWide Debt Relief handles all communications with creditors.

• Fees: CountryWide Debt Relief charges a flat, 18 percent fee only after the debts are settled.

• Best for: consumers who want to avoid bankruptcy by consolidating their debts.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg
Barbara Friedberg

Personal Finance Contributing Editor

CountryWide Debt Relief questions and answers

What problem is CountryWide Debt Relief trying to solve?
Provide debt consolidation help for consumers looking to get out of debt.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
CountryWide is different than the rest because we focus on solving consumers’ debt issues by recommending the best possible debt consolidation option. For consumers with good credit and good income, we recommend a Debt Consolidation loan with the primary focus on reducing the interest rate. For Consumers that have credit challenges, we can offer debt negotiation with the focus on reducing the amount of debt and time required to pay off that debt.
What needs do your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our company helps consumers that are overburdened by debt. We provide a plan to help consumers get out of debt within 60 months or less.
How does CountryWide Debt Relief measure success?
We measure success based on the completion rate of consumers that enroll in our Debt Consolidation program. While the industry completion rate is 55%, our company completion rate is at 75%. We do this because we are focused on helping the consumers get out of debt from the beginning of the process to the end. We don’t over promise and under deliver. Our underwriting guidelines are focused on helping consumers get out of debt, not on our company revenue.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 years? 10 years?
The biggest change in our industry has been the implementation of the Federal Trade Commission’s TSR rule which prevents companies from deceptive marketing practices and unfair fees. We take pride in providing the Best Debt Consolidation program while being compliant with the Federal Trade Commission’s TSR rule.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about CountryWide Debt Relief?
We wish every consumer knew that our Debt Consolidation Program has the highest graduation rate at 75% compared to our competitors' average graduation rate of 55%.

CountryWide Debt Relief Company Information