4.83/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2170 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. helped me get rid of all my debts. The price was fair and they were really quick when I had questions or when I added other accounts along the time that I was in the program. They followed up with my debtors and I had quick results of the little issues that I ran into while I was on the program. I got emails frequently and they were always available whenever I called. I’ve already recommended Cambridge.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Briana, thank you for reaching out to share your experience and for recommending our services! Our friendly customer support staff works hard to keep our clients happy and informed whenever they call. We're very happy to hear that your debts are all gone, and we hope you're looking forward to your new debt-free life! Please call us if you need anything else.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had some debts that I needed to take care of so I did some research. I found that Cambridge Credit was the best to go through a debt consolidation so I decided to go ahead and made an appointment with them. The rep made all the arrangements to it. He told me exactly how much money has been allocated to the different accounts that I was under the consolidation program. He emailed me all the information out and then I signed the document.

The enrollment was easy. I was able to do it in a couple of days, just as quickly as I was able to get back to him. There were two processes to the debts consolidation process. I went to a debt consolidation program with Cambridge Credit and then I had to clean up my credit so I went through another company and they did that.

Also, the counselor was very understanding. She said, "Don't think that you are unique and there are a lot of people that are out there in the same boat as you are". She also said that Cambridge has a plan and that in a couple of years, my credit will turn around. At that point, I thought it was a lot of bluff but looking back at it, I thought she was right on the mark.

The program was painless for me. They gave me an amount and I was okay with it. I knew I would have to consolidate my debts and have those debts paid off so I took the quickest route. I set up an automatic withdrawal out of my account and I made sure my account has plenty of money in it. They deducted the money out of my account every month and in two years, my debt was paid off. I made my last payment and I finished the program last month. All in all, I'm very satisfied. In fact, I gave Cambridge' numbers to one of my commanding officers because she went into some financial problems.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

We had medical and credit card debts and Cambridge Credit Counseling provided us with consolidation. They went in and dealt with them all. The interest rate was dropped and we paid back our loans that way. We originally called Cambridge because we got married and after we got married, my wife ended up with cancer. So, it worked out that we jumped on the program when we did. We ended up doing the program separately and if we hadn’t, we would’ve been bankrupt because of the medical bills we had. We could always work a little more to make a little more when the hospital bill comes but the program lowered the payment a little bit and that alone made us get by.

The enrollment process was very easy and fairly simple. There were a lot of tough questions when they started asking about our monthly debt and a lot of times, they didn’t tell you exactly what you wanna hear, but they told you the truth. The counselor was very understanding, too. We were afraid of talking about these things but he put us at ease. And in the end, he had the answers.

They sat down and figured out our family budget, what we had, what was going out, and where was it going. They asked for all that upfront then based on that, they figured out the rates and what they could do with the agencies. Then they told us what they could do and what they couldn't do. It was up to us if we took it. They gave us a fixed period of time when the program was gonna be done and we got done a little bit early, but that was okay. We took any extra we had and that was where we wanted it to go.

All in all, Cambridge was wonderful. Even at the payoff, we paid a little more and they made sure that they had all the stuff documented. They did everything for us and all we did was tell them what we were doing and that we had extra going in. They said that the debt was gonna be paid off and that we were gonna have some checks coming to us because we overpaid. And we ended up getting checks back from the different creditors which was great. We completed the program and it worked out wonderfully. We’re very happy with it and couldn’t have asked for anything more. Now that we’re done, it’s a huge weight off our backs.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I have a CreditCare account. They told me that I had to pay within a year or pay something towards it. After that year, however, I wasn't able to pay off the account. Because of that, they carried the interest really high. I'm on a fixed income and so I had Cambridge Credit Counseling help me. I got their information, called them, and filled in the forms. I qualified for the program. The application wasn't easy, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Cambridge was able to lower my interest rate and I didn't have any problems paying because I did automatic deduction until the program was over. It was perfect for me. They also had people to help me. Cambridge's program is a very good program for someone who is in a little bit of financial problem and have to pay off a debt. It helps you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

With Cambridge Credit's program, we paid off a lot debt that we had and zeroed out some stuff that we had accumulated, so it was very helpful. It took us six years to complete the program. The quality of their service was good for the cost. They did a good job.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I had concerns with debt and late fees. Cambridge was recommended to me and the enrollment to their program was easy. I paid one fee, and they paid for all my bills and offered counseling. Their counselor answered all my questions upfront and worked with me on the payment plan. He was very easy to deal with. Now that the program is over and I've completed it, I’m feeling really accomplished. Working with Cambridge has completely changed my life. I don’t know what I would’ve done without them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

A co-worker who used Cambridge Credit Counseling recommended it and gave me the information. I checked into some other ones and Cambridge seemed to have the better service. So, I went by my friend's experience and went with them too. In the beginning, I didn't know if I needed to get the information filed and their reps did some of that for me. I was really comfortable working with them. They were reliable, they gave me a timeline and they sent updates too. They sent little ways to stay out of debt through email. And if I had a question about anything, I would call. They were friendly and they didn't keep me on hold.

The payment plan that they set me up with was difficult in the beginning only because I was still using the credit cards. And then, I wasn't using them at all. I got used to just paying each month and not using them, and it turned out for the best. So far, I'm finished with their program and they got me out of debt from credit cards. Cambridge is a good company. I've already recommended some people to them.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I was out of work for quite a while and I needed to consolidate my debt. I tried to get things handled to save my credit. I went with Cambridge because of their Better Business Bureau rating and the rating from other consumers. From the first time that I called somebody from Cambridge, I was treated very warmly and kindly. There was no judgment about what had gone on in my life prior to. There were several times throughout that two-year period that I had to rearrange the auto debit on my payment and they were more than kind about making that happen for me via email or phone call.

And then, at the very end, when I was trying to wrap everything up with the last few payments, they just went way above and beyond to make sure that everything happened the way that it needed to, and even didn't charge me for the last month for their fee. They helped me get everything handled. The cost was also very reasonable. However, it would be better if they would let you know what you still owe, instead of just what they paid and more information about what's been paid off in full and what the results were on the website itself. Nevertheless, my experience with Cambridge was absolutely fantastic.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My experience with Cambridge has been great. I was with them for about three years. They got all my credit cards down with the interest. I made a lump sum payment and they divided it out to my creditors. I spoke to them the most at the beginning, and it was just great. I also didn't have to get those calls from the creditors anymore. I've already talked to many people about Cambridge.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My experience with Cambridge Credit Counseling was perfectly fine. I had to set up EFT and they did all the debt. I knew it was gonna be two years and they were able to pay the bills when I needed them. Now, it's done and over with. I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I signed up with another company and they sold some of their files to Cambridge. The first company negotiated with my creditors, got the interest rate down considerably and then, when I went to Cambridge, it was all set in order. They continued what the other company was doing but I had to pay $59 a month for this company in California that’s supposed to help you change your way of thinking about credit cards. I talked to them twice a year which was a waste of money and it didn't help me at all.

Cambridge took the money out of my bank account and paid my credit cards. It was fine interacting with their counselors but when I got statements from my creditors, the balance always included the interest. They said they had to call and get the final payoff which was what my bill said. I was uncomfortable with that, but it worked out because sometimes, I would call a creditor and just pay off that one rather than go through Cambridge. Other times, I would send in a money order to apply to a certain creditor. So, that’s how I handled it. For example, if it came down from $129 and I happen to have that amount available, I would call the creditor and pay it off myself and then, notify them that that hasn’t been paid off.

In the middle of 2018, I started staying focused and I was getting all my debts paid off. Towards September, I could see that if I really stayed focused, I could have them all paid off by the end of December and I succeeded in that. It was supposed to be a three-year program but I got it paid in two and a half years because I got bull-headed and decided, “Nope, this is gonna be it.” Cambridge told me towards the end that the $59 I was paying to the additional company, they did it in-house. Had they told me about that before, I could have cancelled my enrolment and saved but they didn't say that until the very end. Nevertheless, I got through it and they notified the bank in December that I was done with them. So, it was a load off my mind and I did learn a lesson. Don’t spend more than you can afford. Cambridge helped me. If people are really in-debt and need to see the end of a tunnel, I would more than likely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was paying too much on my credit card and I needed to consolidate. I got some solicitation from Cambridge in the mail and I followed up from there. All my questions were answered immediately, and once I got going on it, I didn’t have any questions. I just paid the bill very quietly, and all that was done over the course of a bunch of years. It helped me handle a very difficult financial situation.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had gotten into credit card debt and I was getting old. I went with Cambridge Credit Counseling and it took me around four years to get through the whole program. My interactions with the team at Cambridge were fantastic. They had no judgments and they were always pleasant and always helpful. They worked everything out with me and we figured out how much I could pay, and that's what I paid. If I wasn't able to make a payment, I'd call them and they'd set it up to where I catch it up the next time. That was great. Also, the cost was cheap. I am so pleased with Cambridge and I tell everybody who's got any kind of financial issues about them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I've used Cambridge one other time, quite some time ago. Someone had recommended them to me. Signing up with them was really quite easy. I called them and we set up a time for me to meet up with someone there. Then we sat down briefly and went over a few things. There was a helpful gentleman named Andrew that I would speak with on occasion if I had questions. I had outstanding credit cards and Cambridge got in touch with anyone that I had dealt with and came up with one lump sum that would come out of my bank account every month. I had automatic payment and the payments they took were perfect. It worked great for me. They have relieved a lot of stress. I’ve paid everything off in full and it feels good.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had outstanding bills and I sought the services of Cambridge. They were very courteous whenever I called. I didn't have any trouble with them at all. I gave them the list of my bills and they called up my creditors. Not having received any phone calls, I assumed that it has all been paid off. I contacted Cambridge a few times to find out how many more months I had and they were very polite. Whenever money had to be sent out, I made sure it was a certain day to make sure I had it in the account. If I was short, which happened only a couple of times, I would tell them it could be a few days, because my check probably didn't get in there due to the holidays and they were understanding. I was very pleased with the company and I had an excellent experience with them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my credit card debts. I contacted Cambridge, got it all setup within the next day, and got everything in order. They did really well. They were really nice and they had excellent customer service. They were very helpful and always friendly whenever I call and ask questions. The payment plan was easy and really affordable. I didn’t even realize I was paying Cambridge for their services as well until I got the statements, but it wasn’t that bad. I was done with everything three and a half years later.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

A few years ago, Cambridge Credit Counseling helped me with my situation and provided me with consolidation for two credit cards. I spoke with someone on the phone and he explained what the process would be. It was pretty straightforward and easy. My mom was the one asking most of the questions though. She heard about Cambridge from a friend.

They were really organized. The payments were automated but they would send me statements via email. I stuck to the program for a couple of years and completed it. And I really liked that flexibility. Plus, the cost versus the quality of service was excellent. They helped me realize what I could do with my finances to get myself back on track. Now, I’m more aware of my credit than I was a few years ago. It was a great experience.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I was in Cambridge Credit's program for about two years and I settled all the credit card debts that I've put up with them. I liked that they didn’t charge a lot of money to take care of the problem. Enrolling with them was fast and easy. Their staff was easy to work with and friendly. Anytime I called, I was able to get a quick answer from them. Cambridge's payment plan was cheaper than what I was paying per month. It’s easy and very straightforward to make the monthly payments at a certain amount of time, and it will be taken care of, and you’ll be done. When we fell on a hard time one month, they've helped us out. It was very comfortable working with Cambridge. I felt like I’ve got a big weight off my shoulders. I would recommend them to somebody else.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I went with to Cambridge Credit Counseling and I have finished their program. They did what they said and it was easy for me. Their payment plan was fine. I had direct deposit and they took care of what needed to be taken care of. They email me monthly to let me know where my account stood.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My niece's fiance who used to work for Cambridge Credit Counseling told me how their service worked and talked to me about it. Enrolling with Cambridge was very easy and everything was very understandable. The counselors that I worked with were very friendly and knowledgeable. If I had any questions, they took care of it quickly and made me understand what was going on. It was very easy to stay in contact with them through the process.

I had a credit card and I used it up. My payment for the credit card was $96 a month and Cambridge charged me $112. That was more than reasonable to take that worry off my plate. It was a convenient and free from worry situation and the way that it would be taken out every month was a good thing. It was a very easy payment plan. I knew the debt was taken care of. I just remember to deduct it and eagerly wait to see how much I owed. I got a monthly statement and they let me know what was due. I’ve managed to take care of my debt and I finished paying it off last month. I would recommend Cambridge to somebody that has some financial debts like me.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I was behind on bills and couldn’t keep up with them. I applied with Cambridge Credit Counseling over the phone and my whole experience with them was very good. In fact, I was with them twice and I got treated perfectly. They sent me a bill each month and their counselors were very helpful. They made sure that I got out of debt and I got very good support from them. The cost of their service was also good. I've completed my program last month and it helped me out a lot. And if I ever get in trouble, I’ll go back to Cambridge. I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I had so many charge cards with balances and I wanted to find a way to dissolve them. I knew there was Consumer Credit Counseling, and I looked it up and Cambridge has it. When I talked to their counselor through the phone, we set up everything and that went well. The plan was fine and it was something that I could handle. It was a very good program where they reduce some of the interest rates.

I paid them so much a month then they paid my card down. The amount, though, wasn't exorbitant. It was something that I could handle each month. And I was glad listing it in because I knew everything was being taken care of. I liked the way that it was handled. Whenever I had a question that I wanted to ask, I would call, and someone would answer it for me. And although they sent out a report every month for me to view, a little more discussion with the person they were helping just to reassure them that everything was going fine would be an improvement.

All in all, though, the service was good. I started in 2014 and we finished in January 2019. They helped me get rid of all that debt, and so I feel freer. I have more to spend. It took a much shorter time than it would if I had just gone because while I wasn't missing any payments on any of those, it was taking so long and I couldn't see any way of getting out of debt. The interests were so great. I could see myself 20 years of paying on some of those accounts especially Sears.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My wife was suggested to seek Cambridge's services to get out of credit card debts. They paid the credit cards, worked on the interest rate and then I took a monthly payment. The experience was great at the beginning. Their reps were pleasant and answered all my questions. In terms of the cost, it was reasonable. After a couple of years, I got sick and tired of my credit bill and how people throw red flags when they look and see that I have these credit cards in the program, so I paid it off. Working with Cambridge greatly affected my life. I don't have all those credit cards anymore and I never will again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We had several credits that we were not able to get paid and the interest rates were killing us. We were with Cambridge years ago and they helped us get out of that problem. Unfortunately, got back into it, so we thought we would go with them again. This time around, they did well on the enrollment process and the program we got into was for four and a half years. We completed that in December and the reps who assisted us were great.

They answered all of the questions that we had and if we needed anything, all we had to do was discuss it with them. Whenever we needed some help, they would make it so that we could pay our payments. They figured out the amounts that we had to pay and it was good dealing with them. We didn’t have any problems at all and we never missed a payment. In the end, they got our debts paid off just like they said. I also recommended them to a friend while I was on the program and so far, she paid off one of her accounts and she’s working on the other account.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Enrolling with Cambridge Credit Counseling was very easy. I was in debt and went straight to them. Their accuracy impressed me. They made a monthly sum on the debt and it was affordable. Things were completed and they were on time. It took three years to complete the program. I've graduated and debt-free now. They need to have more communication with the client though. They never ever called me. They just took the money and deposited it. And that was poor judgment. I got my certificate and my letter, but they never called me once to see how I could improve my credit score. The whole purpose of going through the program was so I could build my credit back up. I don't know where I stand, what my credit report is, and if I have any outstanding debts left.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Congratulations on becoming debt free and completing your debt management program. We love to hear success stories like yours and are pleased to have been a small part of your journey to financial freedom! Let me take a moment to address your concerns.

Cambridge Credit Counseling is not a credit repair company, and don’t portray ourselves as such. We provide counseling and debt consolidation services, which typically allow clients to pay off their accounts in full, but at significantly lower interest rates, saving them time and money. If you had requested information about the steps you might take to improve your credit score, we would have been happy to provide that, free of charge, but it’s not something we force on consumers. Our website and the free educational materials we’ve placed online give plenty of tips and advice on these topics.

We have a fully staffed Client Services Department that is available Monday through Friday for any questions that you may have had while you were on the program. Looking into the history of your account notes, you did contact us and asked about adding accounts to the program, and we did leave you a message to advise you about your final payment. When we do that we are calling to see if you have any other accounts that you would like to add-on before your account is completed and closed. We also sent you a letter on October 16, 2018, to advise you that your final payment was coming up. That letter specifically states:

“If you have additional accounts that you would like to add to the program it is important that you send a request in writing or contact our agency to have your verbal request recorded by a Cambridge representative. If we do not hear from you by your scheduled due date, we will assume that you would like your account with our agency to officially be closed. All of us at Cambridge would like to congratulate you on becoming debt free.”

Though we pull credit reports to facilitate a consumer’s initial counseling session, it would be your responsibility to pull reports to review them moving forward, since encouraging clients to become more financially self-sufficient is one of the goals of our program. Again, we sincerely congratulate you on paying off your debt, and if you have any questions or need any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I looked at a couple of other companies and Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. looked like my best bet. The enrollment process was easy and it took a little under four years for me to complete their program. I’m not really good at budgeting money, so through the Cambridge program, I had a set amount to be split up between three creditors. The smallest one was paid off first, then the second one and then the last one. They deducted 225 a month and they deducted it on the 15th of every month for almost four years. It was nice and smooth. I didn’t have to send a check in. It did electronically and just made a little note in my little book. The last payment was in mid-November and that was when I got my email. I got something in the mail too from Cambridge saying congratulations, I was done and I was all paid off.

The fee each month was very fair considering they had to deal with three different creditors and splitting the money up. I’m very pleased with Cambridge for the service provided. They handled everything very nicely. It’s all paid off now and that freed up $225 a month. Now, I have more I have to work with. I have no complaints and I would recommend them. They handled everything very professionally. And if someone was to ask me about something like this, I would tell them to give Cambridge a try.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I did a lot of research and I saw the good ratings that Cambridge Credit Counseling had. I worked with somebody else before but it was not a good experience at all. At the time, I was going through some counseling through our company’s employee assistance program and they set me up with a vendor called My Secure Advantage. They were helping with budgetary work and the counselor for that recommended Cambridge as well. Cambridge seemed much more reasonable and I liked the philosophy in the way they were set up. I got into debt consolidation with Cambridge and my experience with them was very smooth and easy. They were helpful and very consistent.

There was one point where I had a problem with CharterBank and they were giving Cambridge a bit of a hassle about the timing of the disbursement of the fund. A rep from Cambridge called me and we worked through the difficulties. He was able to make it happen so that the timing was better. He worked with me through that and often called and asked for updates. They were very responsive so I felt really good about the service I got from them. That was about three years ago and the length of time that the process took to complete was very appropriate and very doable from a budgetary perspective.

The cost for the service was fairly minimal for what I was getting and the plan that we worked out was within my budget. We talked about that ahead of time. It was a lot of money, though. I was going to be paying it for 10 years, so I would rather have done it the way that Cambridge set it up for me. They were trying to make it the most reasonable period of time where I could pay things off. It was a realistic timeframe based on the experience.

Instead of just a generic call where I would get anybody, they could have a dedicated rep for my account and whom I could call personally especially at the early stages. For the first year when we were trying to get organized and we had more questions or concerns, I could see them being away for financial advice. I know a little about business and it is a distribution type of process rather than a one-on-one personal counselor, but if it could be that, I’m sure they would have done that for me if I had asked. However, I didn’t need to call them much because it was such an efficient process. I’d definitely tell my friends to consider Cambridge.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We entered into an agreement with Cambridge Credit Counseling for debt consolidation over five years. They were referred to us by the company was with. The contract with Cambridge was part of the severance they gave us. We completed our five-year stint and paid back all of our debts. So, it was a good program. We reduced interests and payments over that period of time. The personal touch from Cambridge's negotiators made the process good. We got to be pretty tight with the person that was handling our account. We had a lot of issues we had to settle, and it was a lot of calls back and forth. I got educated about what we had to do. The payment plan was a lot of money. It was difficult and painful. There was a time we were living in an apartment with no furniture, but we got through it. We were very impressed with the overall package. They were very professional all throughout the process. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I acquired so much debt. It was hard making the payments and trying to work the balance down every month. I went online to a place that rated different companies, how they operated and how the people were satisfied or not satisfied with it. Then I spoke to a person at Cambridge and he was very helpful. It was a very good experience and we set everything up within a couple of phone calls. They also offered a lot of different services to myself throughout the program, and I chose not to use or do any of them on my own.

The consolidation program worked for me and I didn’t have any complaint. I paid my payment every month and it took me five years. If I could have made a different choice in resolving my debt, I should have made a different choice. But I’m happy with what I did. It helped me to pay my debt off and I was comfortable in the process. If I had any questions or concern, I would call the number, give the person my account number and ask the question.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had too much consumer credit going in different directions and at my point in life, it was hard to manage. I found myself missing dates sometimes and not being able to consolidate the way I wanted to. So I went to work with Cambridge Credit Counseling. The enrollment process was easy enough. They gave me a chance to list the seven creditors on credit cards. I went and put all those together. I also didn’t realize their headquarters in Agawam was right around the corner from where I live. But I really hesitated on the $50 a month. It was a waste of my money on something I could be doing myself. But I settled in comfortably with the fact that it was going along month to month and it was gonna get me the reduction I wanted.

I also had a fantastic client management representative, Chris. His calm attitude impressed me. He understood my situation and was non-threatening. He reassured me everything was good and gave me his personal cellphone number. He checked back with me and I was on my way. I was impressed with the fact that he committed that he could help me, that I could also call him and that I could cancel at any time if I wanted to. Plus I could see results. I got the monthly statements and that made me feel good.

I didn’t get the reduction in the overall balance though. I just got the money that was being paid on a statement. So during the whole process, I asked about three times what the overall balance remaining was because I wanted to put it in perspective. But when I asked for a report, they gave it to me. I didn’t think there was any hidden process. It was just something that was left off the monthly statement that I felt I needed to reassure myself. When you have any kind of major debt, you would like to know where you are even though you see it’s really going down and you’re feeling good about it.

Overall, it’s a great program and I’ve concluded it. I went to the office and paid off in full around seven months ahead of time, and they handled that with no problem at all. I’ve gotten all the notifications and the credit card companies have sent me “paid in full” statements. I’m completely satisfied with Cambridge Credit Counseling. When I realized that I needed one credit card with the airlines type of thing, they even gave me advice on what airline or what cards are the best ones.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Company Information