4.74/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2208 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 27, 2019

Somebody had recommended Cambridge to me and my experience with them was very good. The enrollment process was very easy. I just met with a counselor over the phone, told him what we wanted to pay off, and it was very smooth. The cost also was appropriate. I've completed the program and our credit score has gone up.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I reached out to Cambridge because we had a couple of our credit cards and a couple of credit lines that had been sent to collections. I was a stay-at-home mom and we weren't making enough money to pay them. I kinda looked at something that would help and Cambridge was one of the first ones that popped up. I reached out to them and it sounded like a good plan, and it was. The enrollment was really quick and pretty pain-free. They took all my bills, looked into my account, put it all into one payment and made the payment through them. They provided help to make it so that this doesn't happen again and ways that I can be saving money. The payment was high but it would have been higher paying separate individual bills through our own.

In the beginning, I spoke with them a lot with concerns about everything. I was nervous and I didn't know what I was doing that I probably asked my rep questions that I probably should have asked somebody else. But he always helped and took care of me. He was always available when I had questions especially towards the end when I was finishing up. I also enjoyed not being pestered so much. They kinda backed off a little and just let us reach out if we needed them. Now, we're out of debt for whatever we had debt at that time and we were able to build our credit and buy a house. We make better decisions now with credit cards. We have one major credit card because we have a house and we need it for backup. But other than that, we try to save our money and pay cash or nothing.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I had too many bills and it was like I couldn’t get them paid down because I was just paying the minimum amount each month and I wasn't getting anywhere. I had a friend that worked with Cambridge years ago and she told me about them. She was very pleased ‘cause she went with them twice so I thought to give it a shot. They took all the bills that I wanted them to and they called all the people. They gave me a flat rate that they were gonna take outta my account every month.

The only problem that I had was I had one bill that they said took them a while to negotiate. But in the meantime, I was getting late charges and the creditor was still sending me threatening notes so I tried to talk to them personally about it. Then I called Cambridge and they told me to send the creditor a letter. It was finally resolved but after many months. For the rest, it was a relief not to have to take care of every one of these guys every month and the interest being so high. The program went very smoothly. I thought once you go to credit counseling, your credit’s screwed. You might get the bills paid off, but you can’t ever use a charge card again so I did keep two bills that I am still paying on, and I use them every month. But other than that, everybody’s paid off.

Original review: July 9, 2019

A friend told me about Cambridge. I called them and the enrollment was quite easy. I did everything over the phone. Then, the rep who helped me throughout the process was very informative, patient, and kind. I have finished with the program. They paid off all my cards and helped me get out of debt. I was very pleased and satisfied.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hi Theresa, thanks for taking the time to review our services! It's great that you've finished our program and you're now debt-free. We hope that you've started to build up your savings with any of the extra money that you have each month. It's very important to have an emergency fund in case something unexpected happens like a car repair or a medical expense. We want you to be prepared for any financial emergency!

Original review: July 4, 2019

I got some credit counseling from Cambridge and it worked out great. I told them what I needed and they told me the cost and then they took care of the rest. They figured out what I could afford to pay and how long it would take me to pay down the debt that I had. And then we came up with a monthly payment amount. If I had any questions, I would just call them and give them my account number, and then they would connect me to the person I was dealing with. It was very well-organized. Thank you for your service, Cambridge.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: June 30, 2019

The enrollment process of Cambridge was great. They explained everything step-by-step. They asked me what bills I'm trying to pay off, and they explained to me the process, and how it's going to work and how many years it's going to take me with the amount that I'm paying every month. I completed the process and I no longer owe anything. I'm back on track with my bills. I even omitted all that credit cards. I only have one card, and I maintain that card with caution. Completing the program has made me feel absolutely wonderful. I got a certificate of completion. And I maintain my bills much better now. The cost was great too. I get my statement every month. They put me onto a counselor who I could talk to, to show how to maintain my bills, my credit card, and everything. So it was great. I had no problem. I recommend all my friends at my job who have problems with bills to Cambridge.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Somebody that had experience with Cambridge recommended them. Some of my debts were getting behind. I wanted to pay, but I needed a way that I could afford it. They helped me with all of that and did a wonderful job. They were efficient and kept me abreast of what was happening and how they were handling the account. They always sent me a copy or records of what was going on. The program took about five years to complete and it helped me out a lot.

Original review: June 27, 2019

After 2 years working with them and me turning my life around, increasing my income by over 50 percent, paying off both our cars and our house, working on my credit score, no late payments, no new credit purchases, doing everything I could for 2 years and not one bad mark, I thought it would be time to work with them and speed the process up by adding more more to my monthly payments. I called, sent emails, no reply. Then last month I get a 30 day late payment from one of the account they are paying on my credit report and it drops 60 points, and I think a late payment stays on your report for 3 years. I hope only 3, I heard 7 years also. I am checking tomorrow to find out.

I have been calling them and sending emails for weeks with no response to my emails at all, nothing. When I call a lady answers and says she will check into it and have them call, be right back. They never call back, 3 weeks now. And it was a 30 day late payment. So 30 days and another 3 weeks makes 51 days. They knew the payment was late and have not tried to contact me at all. But they still take their money out of my account. Terrible company. Run, run, run, far away. Don't responded to their emails or their promises over the phone because when you need them they won't respond either...

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Rennie, we want to congratulate you on the many positive steps you’ve taken to rehabilitate and improve your credit. You are certainly making a great effort to address your past issues. We should take a moment to examine your account history and explore a couple of inaccuracies that were included in your review.

First, you did not send us any emails that went unanswered for three weeks. Our records indicate that you called us on June 21 and that you sent us three emails on June 27, to which we immediately replied. These emails and your review were submitted 6 days after your initial call, which was to inform us that you had received a late mark from one of your creditors.

In response to that information, we had advised you that we would research the account and call back once that work was completed. (Cambridge does not receive monthly statements from our clients’ creditors, so we rely on clients like you to keep us abreast of any unusual developments, just as you had done.) Though we had reached out to the creditor involved, the issue had not been resolved within the 6 days that transpired between your initial call and subsequent emails.

Cambridge’s client services manager has emailed you, but you haven’t replied to her messages. Instead, you’ve sent us two additional emails complaining about the original issue, alleging falsely that we haven’t responded to you. This is simply untrue. In fact, we completed our research on your account and rectified the problem. When we tried to inform you of this, you did not respond.

Last year, you missed a payment. This caused your account to fall behind, but not a full 30 days behind. In June, it finally went over the 30-day mark, which we discovered when we sent the creditor what was supposed to be the final payment needed to pay off the account. Your creditor also performed a full review of your account and credited you a significant amount of money. They also “re-aged” the account, bringing it current.

While we completely respect the effort and determination you’ve put into improving your credit, there was nothing Cambridge could have done to avert the damage done by the payment you missed. Our work in the aftermath of that missed payment did take longer than the 6 days that elapsed between your messages, but your patience was needed for us to complete our work on your behalf, which we are pleased to report was successful.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I wanted to consolidate my debts and get rid of one of my credit cards. After reading a few reviews which said that Cambridge was good, I enrolled in their program. The rep told me Cambridge could help me cut down my debt and that it'll show in my credit report that I'm paid off. She said she can lower my monthly payment and can get it where I would pay less over the course of the year. But I ended up paying $5,000, double of what I owed which was $3,000. I could've settled with GE for $2,200 or less. All in all, it was a horrible experience. I thought I would be paying less but I paid more over the course of time. I wanted to cancel it but I was in a contract that I didn't know of. I wasn't happy with my experience and I wouldn't recommend Cambridge to anyone.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Dieresha, as you know, Cambridge Credit Counseling is not a debt settlement company. The debt management program we offer was explained to you and a detailed Service Agreement was provided in writing before you chose to join our Debt Management Program, or DMP. Our Debt Management Plan Summary, provided to you before your first DMP payment, disclosed the amount that would be repaid throughout your tenure on the program. You successfully completed your debt management program and paid off your debt in a timely manner. We were happy to assist you in that effort, facilitating lower interest rates that allowed you to pay much less over time than you would have paid on your own.

After reviewing your account notes, we saw that you contacted us twice regarding the issue referenced in this review. Again, as our phone and file records clearly indicate, the details of your DMP were thoroughly explained to you. You were advised on several occasions that you could cancel your DMP at any time without penalty, and we provided instructions on how to do so. (Our program is voluntary and a consumer can cancel the program at any time by requesting it in writing through mail, fax, or email, without owing Cambridge any money.) This information was provided to you in July 2015 and again in September 2017.

If you were truly unhappy with our services, you could have canceled at any time, yet you chose to remain on the program and then completed it successfully. You’ve claimed that you paid more over time than you would have if you had settled your debts, which is likely true. (Debt settlement companies charge very high fees and there are often significant tax liabilities on the amount forgiven, so true “savings” through a for-profit settlement company are hard to achieve.)

Beyond that fact, settling your debt would have negatively affected your credit report and credit standing.

Before you joined Cambridge’s debt management program you were paying approximately 22.99% in interest. Through our program, that rate was reduced to an average of just 15%. This allowed you to repay your debt safely and responsibly, with your creditor's approval and without the threat of lawsuits. That is why debt management plans are popular and successful – they allow clients to experience peace of mind and save money.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I travel a lot for work and I was making regular payments to credit cards. And because I wasn’t home to look at the bills, I got myself into a situation. I wasn’t paying them on the right days so the amount started to get out of control, and I wanted to get away from all the credit card debts that I had. I did some internet research and came up with Cambridge Credit Counseling. I had found some good recommendations online, and I was comfortable that they were a safe and reliable resource. The enrollment process was very simple.

Cambridge has a great program. They were very clear, they communicated really well, I got regular messages and emails, they provided regular feedback, they checked in to see how other things were going, and they offered additional resources. And at the end, they came back to see if there was anything that they could do for help. So, it’s very thorough. The program helped me get out of that situation that I managed to get myself in. There were very much emphasis on education, not that I didn’t already understand what I had done wrong. So, they made sure to help you understand how to avoid the pitfalls in the future.

I have completed the process at this point. Cambridge did great by way of explaining and discussing the process with me and they were very reassuring with what would be a good resource and good help. They let me know everything that was happening all the way through. There weren’t any negative aspects to the program. It was all really good. I would recommend Cambridge to other people to use it because they were great. I hope I never have to use it again, but I had a good comfortable level with them.

As for the payment plan, I was set up with the auto pay deduction. They set it all up, told me what the amount was gonna be, when it was gonna come out, and it happened routinely at the same time. They would update when things changed with balances with the credit cards that I was covering like when things were paid off. Also, the cost was low. The savings on the credit card interest fees was huge. Cambridge was really helpful and easy to work with. Working with them helped me get out of the really sticky, ugly situation. It would’ve been a lot harder for me to do on my own. I never had that problem before, so having somebody who did know how to navigate it was helpful.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Company Information