4.77/5

67 Hunt Street Agawam, MA

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. of Agawam, MA is a non-profit credit counseling and HUD approved housing counseling agency. Our experienced staff has an average of over 11 years tenure with our agency and has counseled over 2 million people and assisted over 225,000 individuals and families with debt repayment plans. We maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are Chamber of Commerce members.

We are approved to provide reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs, we offer foreclosure intervention services to residents of MA and CT and provide bankruptcy related credit counseling services.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2199 Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: May 11, 2019

I would recommend Cambridge. Their service was good and their payment system was a little bit easier to have. Specifically, I liked the automatic withdrawal. After I cancelled the automatic withdrawals, they didn’t take personal checks, so it was hard to send the payment because you had to get the money order. Other than that, their reps were all nice. The process took me four years and the cost was doable. Since working with them, I no longer have credit card debts.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The people at Cambridge were very nice. They responded when we called them and everything was good with the enrollment process. The rep that I worked with was friendly. I was comfortable with the process. They would send us bills by mail, which is good because we like to get mail and knowing what are bills are. I’ve completed paying all my bills with Cambridge. Their program made it easy and manageable to pay my bills.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Dennis, my counselor at Cambridge Credit, was very persuasive and he talked me into something I didn't need. So I rushed to a judgment that I didn't need to make and it was a mistake. Then I found out that I didn't need counseling, but once when I was with Cambridge, I just proceeded on and continued with their services. I was with them for three years. I only had one issue with Cambridge throughout the time I was with them. Cambridge got me to lower my payments, but they did not optimize my credit score in any way and they had three years to do it. I wrote to the credit companies myself in the last eight months and I boosted my score over 150 points on my own doing. I would have been better off not using Cambridge Credit.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

First, we would like to congratulate you for completing the payoff of your accounts through our debt management plan. That kind of relief, and our counseling, are the focus of our business. We are not now, nor have we ever been, a credit repair company.

Your program was scheduled for an approximate 38-month repayment term, and our records show that you paid off your $17,750.00 debt within just 30 payments! That is quite an accomplishment and we are so happy for you.

All Cambridge calls are recorded. Upon reviewing the calls between you and your counselor (Tim, we don't employ anyone named Dennis), we discovered that he did explain the program to you thoroughly. In the call between you and Tim in September 2016, you asked him if Cambridge is a credit repair organization and how the program would affect your credit. Tim explained that we, indeed, are NOT a credit repair agency and that your credit would potentially be affected when your creditors closed your accounts. Again, the recorded calls indicate clearly that Tim explained the program fully. Furthermore, all of the details of how your debt management plan would work, including account and budget details, were provided to you in writing before you signed your contract and before you made your first payment.

We apologize if there was any confusion, but Cambridge clearly fulfilled the obligations and responsibilities detailed in the contract that you chose to sign. We made no claim that we would be able to increase your credit score, although that frequently happens for many of our clients as they continue to make payments through our program.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was in debt and since I dealt with Cambridge Credit Counseling before, I went with them again. Initially, I spoke to one person from Freedom but they were so far-fetched and I didn't feel right with them. And the weird part was, I was trying to call Cambridge at the time but I got their number. Eventually, I googled it some more and got the appropriate number. When I called Cambridge, I spoke to a gentleman and I was impressed with the way he spoke to me. He handled it well and didn't make me feel like I was a loser in getting myself into debt. Then, I put all all my credit cards that I wanted to consolidate together and put it through. He examined it, made a decision, and we spoke about it. Then we went ahead and did the program.

They must have went through all my cards, wrote them, and they all agreed. They came up with a figure and I was good with it. All in all, Cambridge helped me get rid of my debt and this time, I've learned my lesson. I will not get myself into that again. Cambridge's service is a great thing and I recommended a girlfriend of mine to them. Her husband is in it now and I have one more person that's gonna be giving them a call to get some debts cleared out. I want people that really need to get themselves out of debt to call Cambridge. Other places try to bring down the debt to a price and you have to pay that right there and then. But that's crazy. If I could have done that, then I would have done that and I could have spoken to the card company myself. And with Cambridge, they managed to get a deal with no interest and cleared it up.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp was very helpful and I had a good experience with them. I got divorced and my business was having problems back at that time and had a lot of credit card debt. I didn’t know how I was gonna get out from under it. I found Cambridge and they were able to put a plan together for me and helped me resolve all my financial problems.

We did a good bit of one-on-one on the phone as I was getting set up as well as by email. I gave them a list of all of my outstanding obligations and provided them with budget information about what I was doing currently, budget-wise, what my assets were, and what my liabilities were at the time for them to get a good picture of what they needed to help me manage.

Once it was set up they all ran in the background which was great for me. They reached out with opportunities for me to do more credit counseling and gave me an opportunity to meet with someone on the phone and over my situation annually. But everything was going so smoothly so I didn’t feel the need for that. They have put me on a four-year program and I recently completed it. I got a call from them January this year and they said that we were done which was a huge relief.

Getting in credit card debt feels like scrambling out of a pit that I can never get out of and part of that is due to the high interest that I was paying every month. Cambridge was able to advocate for me to the credit card companies that I am on a plan. They negotiated with the credit card companies to get me hugely reduced interest rates on the promise that I would pay everything off. That made it possible for them then to manage my monthly payments to get it all resolved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp.?

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was very happy with my Cambridge experience. I wanted to get my bills paid, and they helped me. Enrollment was simple. I just called them up then they asked me a few questions. They stayed in touch with me all the time to let me see how my money was going. I talked with my rep and he let me know I was doing okay. I had a couple of times that my money was short but the bank paid, and I ended up paying them. I started on 4/15/15 and I finished up at 4/15/19. I never realized I was that close until I called to see when my next payment was due and they told me I was done. I was so happy. If I find any friends that got in the same situation I got in, or if I get into that same situation again, I would definitely use Cambridge.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I love Cambridge. They did all the work. All I had to give was the commitment of money and we got it all worked out. The rep wanted to know how much I made and where I was working so we could make a plan and we broke down a budget analysis. We were talking about it and right there on the spot, he told me he would see how much the rate would be, how much I could afford and that I qualified. It was great because I started out with a little money but not much. The only thing I feel bad about was that they would send financial organizers and I would get in because I was working two full-time jobs. I finally got to confirm that my debt was paid and I was definitely excited. In fact, I was surprised when I got the call wanting to talk about my last payment. I thought there had to be some mistakes. I thought it was gonna be longer.

My seven cards were taken care of and they got a reduction. I went from about $12,000 to a zero balance in four and a half years. We knew it was gonna be four years, which was not a big deal, and they were right on the money. They did their job, even above and beyond. They were sending me the financial statements and something to fill out. So even though I wasn’t present in the situation, they were the best. It also kinda happened when I had a fender bender. I had to get another car and bring all my extra expenses. I also happened to get unemployed quickly after. So this happened all chronologically the way it was supposed to. It was perfect. When I had my debt paid off, I went and told my friends. Everything that I did with Cambridge was on point and I'm grateful.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Thank you so much, Cindy, for your review of our services! Once our certified counselors complete your budget analysis, we're able to calculate an estimation of the time it takes for you to be debt free on our program. In fact, many of our clients become debt free in about three to five years, so you're right on time! We're sorry to hear about your financial troubles as you were starting our program. This is where the budget analysis is imperative to the process of seeing what your financial snapshot looks like, and how much left over you really have in your budget to start saving for these kinds of emergencies. We encourage all consumers and especially our clients to save where they're able.

We're happy to have had to you as our client and we wish you the best in the future.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Before making the decision to use Cambridge Credit Counseling, I researched a bit and found that they were the best. They were really good to work with. They were very helpful through the whole process and made getting back on track very easy. They checked in regularly and made sure that things were going well with the program. They were able to help me pay off all the debts that I had. They worked with a couple of the credit cards to lower the rates and consolidated it into a single payment to them.

The payment plan they set me up with was pretty easy to achieve every month and it worked really well. Plus, the cost of their service seemed fair. Part of the payment each month went to them, but the savings I made with the interest rate change allowed an offset and made things really smooth. Now that I'm done with the program, I'm doing a bit better in managing my budget every month and not allowing myself to get in as deeply into the credit issues that I had before. It helped me make sure that I'm not spending more than I am able to pay off in a month. Cambridge did a great job for me and I had a good experience with them.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hello, Donald! We're very happy to hear about your experience with our program. Budgeting is the cornerstone to financial wellness, and we hope that you continue with that process!

Our monthly fee is minimal. We calculate it based on a combination of the debts you're bringing onto our program and your state's regulations for debt management programs. We're glad that you found them fair as we try to keep them as low as possible in each state as we are a 501(c)3 not for profit organization. We make sure that your estimated payment on our program is always lower than what you were paying before our interest rate reductions. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and please call us if we can assist you further.

Original review: April 3, 2019

We wanted to consolidate some credit card debts and have somebody to go in and negotiate rates. A colleague of mine had used Cambridge Credit Counseling in the past and I asked him about it, which was how I got the referral. He had just finished his program and talked very highly of it. We thought that Cambridge was our best option and it turned out to be great. Then, my wife and I met with an adviser at Cambridge and got the program going. They asked us to check questions like what our goals were and what we wanted to do.

Then they tailored the program for what we needed at the time and did all the legwork. They contacted the credit card companies, negotiated the lower rates and get it down to 0% to save some interest. We are done with the program and it had been great. The counselor that we met with was awesome. He didn't pressure us to do anything or force us into anything. He even made sense of all the stuff. They also had a lot of nice resources. Budgeting and trying to get a monthly budget is hard to do with five people in the house, but we tried to do the best we could. We adapted to it and cut back on some things. We were motivated to get the program done.

The payment plan was relatively easy. I was always paying on the cards and never getting anywhere because of the interest. They consolidated that into one payment. I knew what the payment was and it was consistent every month. I would totally refer Cambridge to others. I would give others the same advice as my colleague. It's gonna take a little while, but it's one payment. You know what it is and then you're done.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling helped me out a lot. Everything was easy. They took care of everything and it went fine. I like them.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I had trouble finding a way to get a consolidation loan to try and pay off some of our high-interest credit cards so I reached out to Cambridge Credit Counseling. They were the ones that contacted me first so I went with them. The enrollment process was fairly quick and easy. We did it online and we were able to DocuSign things online, and I had a couple phone calls. It was very pleasant dealing with the credit counselor who was very knowledgeable and friendly. The payment plan was set up in such a way that the payment was a monthly draft taken out of my account. Then they paid the creditors themselves directly.

Cambridge was able to get lower interest rates with monthly payments and consolidate four of our credit cards. With their program, we got the four high-interest credit cards paid off within the time frame that they were supposed to be paid and at a lower interest rate. I have three kids in college, so that was very helpful. At this point, the process has been completed. Apart from that, the ongoing customer support that we receive from Cambridge is very interesting. They've sent quite a few different, helpful articles to work on our finances.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have three credit cards and I wanted to have my bills consolidated and have one credit card bill every month. It would be easier for me that my bills would be organized versus having three statements coming at me every month. So, I sought the services of Cambridge Credit Counseling and went with them six years ago. I signed up with them and everything was straightforward with the enrollment process.

Everything was great with the service and the program that Cambridge provided for me. There were different counselors when I called and it was perfect dealing with them. They explained everything thoroughly to me and answered all of my questions. For my payment plan, they automatically withdrew money from my account. I called often to see the total remaining balance and they provided that quickly. The ongoing customer support that I got was perfect too. Also, the cost was no problem. I was very comfortable in working with Cambridge and I’ve never had any problems with them ever. They were straightforward and I never thought that they were lying or manipulating.

At this point, I’m good and much better. By working with them, I was able to get out of debt. I’m out of debt now, but I didn’t have any credit cards for a while and I had to pay an amount every month no matter what. So, even if I had an emergency, there was nothing I could do and I still had to pay that. It was hard to go through the program, but I did it and that was a great accomplishment. I’m grateful that it’s over. Nevertheless, Cambridge's program is a nice way to consolidate various credit cards and it helps you to pay off your cards faster.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had some debt that I wanted to find a way to pay and not file bankruptcy. The person I talked to from Cambridge was really nice. We went over what I would pay, although that changed and it was screwed up in the beginning. There was a counselor named Dennis and I only talked to him one time. After that, every time I called, I got somebody different. I could never get a straight answer out of anybody ‘cause I tried to get phone numbers to call my creditors since I wasn't getting any kind of balance left. I did get a few numbers, but one number wasn't the right one at all. Instead of paying what I owed, Cambridge would overpay and then it was up to me to try to get the money that was overpaid. They should send their clients a balance and show what they're paying. Nonetheless, I've paid everything off and I'm completely done.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I got into credit debt and someone in my church had told me about Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Enrolling with them was easy and although the payment plan, was hard, I made it. Cambridge did a good job and I am now done with the consolidation program. Working with Cambridge taught me not to give in to all these credit cards. I had a good experience with them and if I know somebody who’s getting into debt, I’ll let them know about Cambridge.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I was in debt with my credit card so I sought the services of Cambridge Credit Counseling. I already worked with them twice before and they were really good. This time, the enrollment process was good and the whole process was easy. Also, the cost was very good. As far as setting up a payment plan, they lowered my interest rate and my minimum payment rate. The program kept me in tune with what I had to pay out each month. At this point, I have paid off my credit card debt. I only had to talk with my credit counselor for a few things that I had to change. People at Cambridge were ready to help me. If I had any questions or concerns, I talked to anybody in the billing department.

Working with Cambridge made me able to pay my bills on time. I've even received very good ongoing customer service support from them. I would recommend them. They're an all-around good company and one of the best companies to work with. I would tell people to go with Cambridge's counseling services if they need these for their credit cards.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had credit card debt and Cambridge worked on what they could to get it down. I have two credit cards, and they made the payment on one of them a lot easier and got a lower interest rate on that one, too. They also sent a monthly summary on my email and I didn't have any trouble getting a hold of them when I needed to. Plus the cost that I paid was reasonable.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was searching the internet and I was praying really hard. I found Cambridge Credit Counseling over the internet as the only guys that would take me in. When I first called in, the rep was like, “You oughtta do this, this, and this.” I told him that I couldn't get any of them signed up except for two. He said, “You're fine. We'll take you on.” That was basically the conversation and it was awesome. As far as the enrollment process, it took about two months. When I called in for the counselors, they were awesome. They talked to me and they gave me some great advice on what to do and how to do things, and I took all those into consideration. They treated me really well.

At first, I started having difficulties. I was tackling a car payment plus the payment, but I was able to do it and keep my finances right where I needed it to be. The educational part of the program was awesome, while the other part was how they managed all the accounts that I had and was able to reduce all that amount of money I was gonna pay out to affordable monthly one payment thing. The goal was four years, but it took about three and a half. I've completed the program and Cambridge sent the statement that I owed nothing. They are freaking amazing. If I could hug all of them, I would. They took a lot of stress off me and totally impacted my life as a whole. There would be no way I could've paid off all the debt and survive anything. They kept me away from filing bankruptcy.

Original review: March 13, 2019

The enrollment process at Cambridge was all easy. Everybody was nice, and I didn’t have any problems at all. They helped me pay off my dues, and I have completed the program.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Cambridge has some good structure, and everybody was very informative. Plus the cost of their service was standard. They took the payment out of my account and I didn’t have to write out a check and mail it. They took care of my accounts for me and now I’m done with the program.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had great credit all my life until my teenage grandson came to live with me. Even though I get $2,000 a month, which is very good money and better than most retired persons, I hadn't counted on raising a grandson. He was in his teenage years and in high school. I was totally responsible for the boy without any help and he was at a very expensive age. His dad kinda helped me at first, but as time went by, it got less and less. I had to go to court over Fingerhut and I kept paying them as long as I could. I wanted to pay off all my bills and I knew that I needed the help of lower interest to pay off all the credit cards. Cambridge seemed nice, then it worked out.

The enrollment process was easy and I thought I could pay some of my bills off faster than I did. The service was wonderful and Cambridge was always good to me. There were a few times that I had to call and tell them I couldn’t make it for a certain month and they worked with me. They were kind to me and I had no problems with it. I just got the last credit paid off, which was Capital One. I paid Montgomery Ward off at about the same time and I got $35 back from them since I paid them too much. I hope those helped my credit.

The counselor I was working with changed during some of my time with them but it was fine. There was one that I really like working with. She went out of her way to help me and I appreciated it so much. I highly respect counsellors and I didn't have a bit of trouble from them. I was having some kind of issue and I got with the little girl. She answered all my questions. The payment started out over $200 and I really struggled until I got the payments down to $87. Then, it was much easier. My grandson finally left and joined the Marines. He went on to college through the Marines and I didn't have to help with that much.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Cambridge Credit made us 100% debt-free, so I'm happy. The payment plan was high, but it was okay because we needed to get them done. When we went through a really difficult stage, we talked to them and they lowered it down a little, which was great at that time because we had to do that for reasons of during the health times. All in all, we had excellent service from them.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had used Cambridge in the past and it was a good program so I stuck with it. After the initial phone call with the credit counselor, our communication was through email and he responded quickly. They figured out the best payment plan for me and they set it up. It was something I agreed with. Their program was easy to use, and they helped me reduce my credit card debt and interest rate. They made sure that all my accounts were closed and made sure my account needed to be closed with them. I'm done with Cambridge now, and the cost of the program was a good use of the money spent for their services. Cambridge made my life better because it helped me on the road to being debt-free. I couldn't have done it without their help. Go check them out as well and see what they have to say.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My wife has some problems with credit cards, sought the help of Cambridge Credit Counseling and the enrollment wasn't difficult. One individual there was her cousin and she worked with him in the beginning. Once everything was set up, it was smooth sailing. The whole program took over three years and Cambridge made it a lot easier to deal with one bill on a month versus all these bills coming in. And because she's in a program, she wasn't able to get credit for a while so that was all great.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I called Cambridge and it sounded like they got a good deal. I could save a lot on interest. I got in their program where they got a hold of the credit card companies and presented them with a lower interest rate. And I’m all done with it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I needed to consolidate my bills and heard a lot of good things about Cambridge Credit Counseling through my coworkers. Their staff was amazing and really nice. Plus, they kept me up-to-date on all the information that I needed. Cambridge's price is affordable and very amazing. I’m done with the program. It worked and I was able to pay off all my bills on time. They're lifesavers and I’m trying to refer as many friends as possible to them.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Hello, Bertha! Our staff is happy to serve you. Congratulations on completing the program, and thank you for referring us to your friends. We look forward to working with them! We often get inquiries from referrals, and if we are able, we could even set up your friends with the counselor that you had!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I've used Cambridge before, and they did an outstanding job. Most recently, we had to do a debt settlement with them as we had over extended our credit card. We're senior citizens and we have a fixed income, and sometimes we forget that. Cambridge helped us with it. Tina was outstanding and she took care of me right away. She was very knowledgeable of what could be done. She was also very understanding of our situation. They had my exorbitant interest rate reduced and Tina did the best she could to come up with a wonderful payment plan for me but I wish the payment could have been less. But I don't mind paying the $15 fee a month because they're providing a service for me. We were really considering bankruptcy at one time, but Cambridge made it so we didn't have to. We don't wanna renege on our obligation, and they made it possible for us to pay off accounts that we owe. And we feel good about that.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I had credit card debt, and Cambridge was recommended to me by a friend. The reps were very helpful and knowledgeable. The payment plan was doable, and they eliminated my credit card debt. I would definitely recommend Cambridge if I knew someone has the same situation as I did.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I built a house years ago, and we had some health issues and some of my financial bills went up. I wanted to consolidate them and pay them off, but I did not want to do this, “We can get you reduced payments on your accounts and reduced balances.” I wanted no part of that because I legitimately used the money, and I wanted to pay back what I legitimately used. I didn’t wanna say that I took out 20 grand and somebody settled it for me for 10. That was like stealing $10,000. I wanted to pay it off with the one month or the one payment as opposed to just keeping them out there.

I used another service and my account got transferred to Cambridge when they bought it out. In the beginning, Cambridge sent me emails and some regular snail mail correspondence. They let me know everything that was going on and that they’re taking it over. I talked to them a few times, and as I was going through every monthly payment, I would get ahold of them every once in a while. I wanted to see what my balances were as I was closing things out and find out what I could do and what I had to do. But every time I called them, I never had any issues with them at all.

I’m all done with the program, and I paid up what I had to pay off. I did not want my credit report affected, and Cambridge has you close your credit cards as closed by consumer, then it doesn’t affect your credit report once you pay it off. They put me in a position where I could very easily handle myself now. If I went into any issues or wanna do whatever and get to where I have too much at one time, I would just go with them. Then I can consolidate everything down in one bill, and they make the payments. I would recommend Cambridge and I would use them again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. helped me get rid of all my debts. The price was fair and they were really quick when I had questions or when I added other accounts along the time that I was in the program. They followed up with my debtors and I had quick results of the little issues that I ran into while I was on the program. I got emails frequently and they were always available whenever I called. I’ve already recommended Cambridge.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. response

Briana, thank you for reaching out to share your experience and for recommending our services! Our friendly customer support staff works hard to keep our clients happy and informed whenever they call. We're very happy to hear that your debts are all gone, and we hope you're looking forward to your new debt-free life! Please call us if you need anything else.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had some debts that I needed to take care of so I did some research. I found that Cambridge Credit was the best to go through a debt consolidation so I decided to go ahead and made an appointment with them. The rep made all the arrangements to it. He told me exactly how much money has been allocated to the different accounts that I was under the consolidation program. He emailed me all the information out and then I signed the document.

The enrollment was easy. I was able to do it in a couple of days, just as quickly as I was able to get back to him. There were two processes to the debts consolidation process. I went to a debt consolidation program with Cambridge Credit and then I had to clean up my credit so I went through another company and they did that.

Also, the counselor was very understanding. She said, "Don't think that you are unique and there are a lot of people that are out there in the same boat as you are". She also said that Cambridge has a plan and that in a couple of years, my credit will turn around. At that point, I thought it was a lot of bluff but looking back at it, I thought she was right on the mark.

The program was painless for me. They gave me an amount and I was okay with it. I knew I would have to consolidate my debts and have those debts paid off so I took the quickest route. I set up an automatic withdrawal out of my account and I made sure my account has plenty of money in it. They deducted the money out of my account every month and in two years, my debt was paid off. I made my last payment and I finished the program last month. All in all, I'm very satisfied. In fact, I gave Cambridge' numbers to one of my commanding officers because she went into some financial problems.

Cambridge Credit Counseling Corp. Company Information