1.20/5
Based on 178 reviews that contain star ratings

Settle Your Debt - Compare Options

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

206 Midland Credit Management Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I received a call from Midland Credit management about a $655 balance in collections on a card that doesn't exist on an account I've never opened. I explained this to the woman as I was looking at my credit report to verify. Her response was "Oh, that seems fishy, maybe we have the wrong person. Can you provide the last four digits of your social security number?" I then hung up immediately. Sounds a lot like a scam to me.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

My Best Buy account was taken over by Midland Credit Management, who took me to court for the funds owed. I had contacted Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) to assist me, prior to the court date. I made my payments monthly through CCCS. In September 2018, I made my final payments to CCCS for all my bills owed. CCCS sent all my pay-offs to my creditors on September 24, 2018. They were all posted and my accounts cleared, except for Midland. Although Midland received over $1,200 as my pay-off, they are still showing that I owe them.

CCCS contacted Midland and was told that the funds were posted to an incorrect account and it would take 4-6 months to get it corrected. That is unacceptable. It does not take that long to move the funds from the incorrect account to my account. I sent them a letter on December 7, 2018 to post my pay-off and clear this account through the court. Neither has been done as of today, December 20, 2018. I am trying to clear my credit report but Midland is procrastinating on posting my pay-off.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've called them on my own, for a debt of 600.00. The lady I spoke to was very rude and demanding when I called back to make my good faith payment. I sent an email to the company, letting them know I would no longer speak to them on the phone. Due to my hardship and disability, refused to take that nonsense talk. I understand they are attempting to collect an debt but their website states they would work with you on payment. She refused to send a updated letter in the mail so I can make payment. I owe as of now 300.00. Let's see if I get an email or letter?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

The best advise I can give is do not ever answer the phone if these guys call. After daily calls with no voicemail I decided to answer. They began talking about an account I never opened and was already disputing. The account was opened almost seven years ago and I've been trying to get it off my credit report almost that long. I explained to the heavily accented guy that this was not my account and he tried to have me log in to their website to look at "my account." I refused as it is not mine so he told me to get a police report, which I did, and write them a formal dispute letter, which I did and mail it into them, which I did.

Two business days later the same guy called me back and said that what I sent was insufficient. I said, I mailed it two days ago, it's not possible you even have it yet. So I asked what else they needed and all he could tell me was it was insufficient. And of course again began trying to get me to pay. After I called him out for lying about having reviewed my letters in the mail, he said they would review them when they got them and call me back. Meanwhile I looked on my credit report and there is a new collection account, just opened, the first day I answered the phone call from these scumbags. Moral of the story, do not negotiate with terrorists. If I had never answered they would not have put this on my credit file and it would have soon dropped off my report.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Was speaking to a representative at Midland about credit repair and then out of nowhere they just disappeared and then never helped me with my credit. Not sure if he got fired or he just didn't want to help me but was not happy about being ignored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Midland Credit Management?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I received a MCM letter offering me the standard 40% payoff amount. I was given to Oct. 6, 2018 to pay the reduced amount. I called on that day because I had scraped the money together just for this situation because I want to improve my credit. I was informed by the heavy-accented, American-named male that even though I am making the payment, my credit report will show that the amount was not paid in full so I will still have a negative report. He sounded so excited that he had a "live one" on the phone who wants to pay their bill and he was not letting me go. I was not happy with the negative credit report option but I was ready to pay anyway. I gave him my card number and it was rejected.

He explained that because the receiving company is an international operation, I will need to call the card company and tell them to authorize the payment. I decided to make the payment using my son's credit card. It was rejected as well. WHAT A BLESSING! I was just on here checking my credit report and somehow I stumbled on this site with all of you talking about your MCM experiences. My guardian angel protected me this time. Thanks to all of you for your posts. I'm sorry about your experiences but let's continue to help each other. I am now going to dispute the credit entry on my credit report and if they want their money, they must be willing to receive the payment directly.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Starting in December 2017, I began receiving phone calls from a number of different states. I chalked them up to being wrong numbers. Since I sleep days, I don't answer the phone. The calls started increasing in number, still appearing to be from different states. After Googling the numbers, I saw that nearly all of them traced back to some company called Midland Credit Management. I've never heard of them, nor do I owe them a dime. My bills are all paid and current. I didn't get an 800+ credit score by not paying my bills, after all. I sent them a certified letter telling them to stop calling me, that they've obviously got the wrong number. It didn't do any good. If anything, it made it worse! I finally had to get my phone number changed, which was a huge hassle. The calls stopped for about 2-1/2 months.

Suddenly, yesterday, I got a call from them again on the new number, which I have not given out to anyone except my immediate family, my dentist, and Walmart's grocery pickup service. Unless Walmart or my little small-town dentist is selling people's contact information, there is no way this Midland company could have my new number. It looks like I'll have to change my phone number again, but if they're robo-dialing numbers, changing my phone number again will only help temporarily. As mentioned, I've never even heard of this company, nor do I owe them a dime. I have a very hinky feeling that this company is a scam, operating on the guise of being a legitimate company, preying on people who might be easily intimidated or harassed into paying a bill that they don't even owe.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a debit that Midland Credit Management that came from Citibank back in 12/30/2015. On 7/8/2018 an agreement was made between both parties that on a $1,726.23 debt I would pay $1,035.74. 40% off to resolve my acct there. Generated check no 20,000 in the amount of $1,035.74. Cleared my bank on 7/11/2018. They reported the amount paid but will not remove the balance leaving $690.49. Have been given many different excuses from debit card. Would have resolved 2-3 days but check takes 30 or more days. They can confirm check cleared but takes time for system after which I was not informed of prior to payment and was out of work until 8/10/2017 because of special needs child and single parent. After the harassment with phone calls for a couple of months told them to quit calling. I would get a hold of them when I could pay. They started to harass my mother.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Set up a payoff plan to pay really old debts totaling 15,000 bucks. Pulled from 401k to settle it. My payment was 2 weeks on hold so my payment to MCM was going to also be two weeks past negotiated payoff date. Would they change the date to help me pay them 15,000 damn dollars?!?! Nope. 3 months later they sued me. I used 3200.00 out of the original 15k for a lawyer and had case thrown out. Their lawyer didn’t even show up with documentation validating my debt. Saved me a ton of money being complete idiots. DO NOT give these guys a dime. Not even sure how they’re still in business. So unprofessional and lack basic communication skills.

Original review: May 31, 2018

So, I had a Best Buy card that unfortunately went default. I was homeless at the time and had been unable to make payments on it. Eventually, contact about it completely stopped. Fast-forward two years later and I'm living in a different state in a better financial situation. A letter was sent by this company to my family at my old address and they got worried about it. Being better able to take care of it, I looked into the company. Everything on the surface "seemed" fine. It seemed professional and I didn't notice any red flags off the bat that led me to believe it might've been a fraudulent company. As it is, I'm still not sure, but the reviews here have certainly made me feel better about that decision.

I set up a double payment plan, going for the long haul on a payment system for 120 payments, once every month of a little more than $8 to take care of it over time and thought it'd be fine. Looking back on the terms and conditions though, I recall them saying they don't have to report to the IRS or credit tracking companies about these payments. Perhaps that should've been the big warning, but I decided to go through with it, not giving it much thought at the time because it's not the first time I've heard that, even from businesses here in the US.

The day I set up for the first payment when I was next paid, I got an alert from my bank that it was a foreign processing transaction from India. They labeled it as fraud and couldn't do anything about it. Immediately things about it started clicking, so I looked through their stuff again and I started noticing the holes. Eventually, it led me to this website to be absolutely sure of who they were and what they were doing. Suffice to say, I'm no longer processing a payment through this company and will be closing the account as quickly as possible, though now my information is floating in their system. It pisses me off, but I'm glad at least they attempted to take the amount they said they would. Not a larger amount or I'd be more peeved. As a side note, supposedly they had my information on file, but even my account shows *none* of it. It's a small detail and may be nothing, but it's still of note.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Sent me a letter stating it was a pre "court settlement." I called them and said, "Yes, let's do go to court." I was giving her all the information necessary to "take me to court," so I could expose them for the criminals they really are. She said "No I don't need that." I said, "Do you have illegal workers without green cards in this office. Dial tone... ICE you need to get these people back to where they came from. This country is allowing its hardworking citizens to be robbed by these criminals.

Original review: May 15, 2018

First of all MCM called my unlisted phone. Don't know how they got it. About an account that I am disputing through Credit Karma. I am saying it is not mine. I asked for them to send me a statement of the charges and where they were charged before any kind of arrangements are going to be made. They agreed. Within 10 day I did not get a statement but a bill with 3 different options to paid and the bill had been switched from my name to my husband's name. I am not sure that is even legal. I wrote them and told them that I did not receive the statement.

They switched the supposed bill from mine into my husband name and they are trying to collect a bill that is in dispute. Still no statement. Just the same once a week I get a paper with the 3 options to pay and they keep calling me. When I see that it is them I do not answer. I am not paying a bill that I am disputing. Not even sure it is mine and it is almost time for that to be discharged at any rate. It is almost the 7 years coming up which is why they are trying to collect on this. It is the calling me almost every other day 2-5 times a day on my unlisted phone that I do not know how they got.

Original review: April 24, 2018

This company call center has obviously moved overseas. Recently I closed a secured credit card because the card switched banks. Somehow my small balance of $65 ended up in collections with Midland Credit management. I settled the account for $98 so I could get my $800 deposit back. I called for verification that the account was paid in full and that letter to be sent to me. The letter arrived with an account # to MCI/World Com. A company that no longer exists for almost 20 years and a company I never did business with. I called to see if it was honest mistake. When asked to speak to a supervisor, I sat on hold for 5 minutes. I called back and the young lady told me. "What do you expect from us?" This company is now overseas pocketing people's money. It's just $100 but I cannot imagine paying off thousand of dollars to be scammed like this.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I called Midland Funding Llc and requested documentation of the purchase of my card and they stated they do not have this. Don't you think that is strange. I know when I purchase something of value I receive documentation. This company is sketchy.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Just got a phone call from these scammers. I feel horrible for these people that get scammed by these guys... THEY ARE NOT A REAL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY. First of all, if you owe money, the bank you ORIGINALLY borrowed from will try to contact you and only them! They send letters first, and my key is never answer a phone number you do not know. Screen it by letting it go to voicemail. Call back and never say the actual word yes to anything. My first clue this was a scam is that they couldn't tell me what they were calling me about until I gave them my social? That way they could look me up in some sketchy computer program that gives them all my info... HELL NO! Stay far away from this company as possible. For those dealing with them now, try to cancel your payments and close out any checking accounts they are taking money from so they won't be able to do so anymore! I hope the police/FBI get a whiff of these guys...

Original review: March 28, 2018

These thieves have tried collecting a debt that is way past the statute of limitations in CA. In addition they have threatened me and my 80-year-old mother. I have had the same # and address for many years and not once sent me proof of any debt owed or any court documents. There is also nothing reporting on my credit report. I have excellent credit and I refuse to let these jerks mess it up. Don’t give any info and always ask for proof which they can’t seem to produce. Sad world we live in folks but always gotta be on your toes.

Original review: March 9, 2018

These people contacted me several times regarding a debt for my son. I forwarded the information onto him. Because of his job he decided it wasn't worth arguing about a debt he knew was not his for $280. It was some internet debt... He thinks it was his old roommate using his info... But they kept calling me so I read the reviews here and told him to cancel the card he used to pay them. He didn't do it in time and they took out 2 different transactions in the amount of $650 from his bank account without his permission. AND they are still trying to call him and collect money. We will be contacting an attorney and filing a complaint. I am not sure why this company is still allowed to practice in the state of Arizona. I deal with a collection company for my business (I'm the one reporting the debt) and they would never do this type of underhanded business. Real collection agencies DO NOT take out money without permission.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Obviously being a debt collector they SHOULD be interested in closing accounts. I called them and asked for a 10 day payoff amount and they proceeded to bully me and tell me they weren't sure if they could close the account. (UHMMM YOU'RE JOKING!?) They then asked me where I'm getting the money to pay it off and why I haven't paid it in the first place and asking for every detail of my life when I said we got into some financial issues they kept pressing on and on. He said that I had been paying for my PUD and Comcast (how they can see that I'm not sure) but I felt very violated.

I finally told them that if they wanted their money they would give me the 10 day payoff amount and who to make the check out to and where to send it. He then got very rude and asked if he would for sure have the check in his hands in 10 days. I said "We will be sending it out in the next 2 days but I don't know the exact day you will have it in your hands." I am absolutely dumbfounded how high and mighty these people act. ESPECIALLY to people calling to resolve and close their accounts.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Midland is driving us crazy, calling day and night, both my husband's number, and mine. We made arrangements to pay one bill, and now they're hounding us for another. I can barely sleep, we don't have anything to take but they are going to give it a try anyway. I can't get a lawyer right now, so doing tutorials on how to defend myself. PLEASE people, don't get on free credit score websites that give you "advice" on credit cards!! It will ruin your life. I really think most people are good, and they want to try and better themselves, and just end up over their heads, embarrassed and ashamed.

I worked with two other debt collectors who really helped me pay off past debts. They treated me with some dignity, and made real arrangements I can deal with, and I was grateful for them. One of them even reduced the amount of the debt, took a large chunk off because I was cool with them. So I'm not trying to "get out" of paying, I, like so many others, are just tapped out. Practices like Midland's have got to STOP! Why is this legal!? They can sue someone for $1000 and take their home, and wages. WHY!? All it takes is a Google search to see the terrifying reality of Midland Funding/Midland Credit Management.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

These people are relentless! They harass and harass and when they can’t get you they call anybody with the same last name. 6,7,8 times a day! Never leave messages and don’t speak English. I have reported them to the Attorney General and the BBB, hope they all get put under a rock with their name on it!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I received a phone call today from Manny ** at **. I told Mr. ** that this was a work number and we were not allowed to receive non-related work calls. At this time, I assumed Mr. ** was a telemarketer. He proceeded to ask me to verify my name over and over. I stated, "I said my name when I answered". He then proceeded to go into a script about a debt and legal action; despite me repeating, "I cannot have non-business related discussions on this line." After a moment, I stopped him and said, "What is the name of the company you are calling from" and he told me Midland Credit Mgmt.

Here's where it gets fun. I informed Mr. ** that he had the wrong "Doe". There are two employees at my company with the EXACT same name. I informed him that he had now violated confidential information to the wrong individual, violating FCRA. He tried to tell me that 'it happens all of the time, and it's not illegal since we have the same name". I told him it is his responsibility to perform the diligence to assure he has the correct person. He has now disclosed financial information about one employee to another at a company, and continues to call on a business line - despite being asked not to.

I gave all of the information to my co-worker so she could follow up, but told her I would write a review myself. She informed me that she had asked them to stop calling her work almost a year ago, and had recorded the call for this exact reason. I don't know if they are a reputable company - but with actions like this, they could lose their license I would think...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Midland credit is going to kill my father!!! They zeroed out all my bank accounts including my father's because I was joint on it. He was 87 with failing health with breathing issues and I’m his caregiver. I was unable to get him food or his medication and if I can’t get necessities of life he will pass away. I’ve called them to make payment arrangements and they refused.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My father passed two years ago. Apparently he had an account with Midland and a lien was placed on my mother's home. During a re-fi it was discovered and needed to pay off debt to clear title. I placed no less than 20 phone calls to RHONDA ** and SHANICA ** with no response. The title company also left several messages. These people will harass and threaten when you owe money but when you want to pay they do not respond. I hope these two woman rot in hell for the delay in refinancing they are causing my mother.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

This company really just won't quit! For the past month, they've blown up my phone, either from an unknown number or various 1-866 numbers. When I finally spoke with a representative, I was told about a debt I have with Credit One Bank and they said I owe 1,134 dollars. First of all, I do owe money on this particular credit card but my outstanding balance is def not 1,000 dollars. They pressure you to give your card/bank info in order to set up a "Payment plan" in order to rid your debt. Real debt collectors don't call asking for your card info, they send letters first. I played along with the representative although I knew it was a scam from jump.

When I asked him what the name of the company is again and he started stuttering. I asked him to send me a letter, he said he would and they actually did but the stationary screams amateur. I then asked them if they're certified under the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and he started getting defensive. I googled the company while on the phone with him and told him about their horrible reviews and that's when he started yelling at me. This company is a fraud and you'd be an idiot to give them any kind of money.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I received a call from "Louis **" with regard to a debt they collected from Citibank for a Sears MasterCard. The account was opened in December 2014, but last payment on the account was 1/5/17 - and then payments stopped. The accrued balance now due is over $6K. Louis confirmed our home address, my husband's date of birth and social security number. He even told me some of the charges on the "account". This seemed all legit - especially the charges - as they were all local businesses that we frequent often.

BUT: 1.) We have NEVER received a billing from Citibank for a Sears MasterCard. 2.) My husband has NEVER had a Sears MasterCard thru Citibank. 3.) There is NO account like this on either of our Credit Reports. 4.) When I asked for proof of the debt - "What would you like me to send you"? Really? I told him I would l do nothing based on a phone call. I am freaked out over this "debt" that I know nothing about. Still too many questions and "what ifs".

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

They keep trying to get my bank account number but they already have my card number and the security code on back. And the Midland Credit Union I deal with is in the UK not the US. I know there's one in the US. I got mixed up with these people through Aspen Dental on Airport who signed me up for CARE CREDIT. ALL THEY DID WAS CLEAN MY TEETH WITH WATER AND A PIX. AND I HAD TO PAY OVER $800. Best advice stay far away from Care Credit and Aspen Dental because they sent my account to the UK and I'm in Alabama. WTF!!!! There's a Midland Credit Union in the United States. Anyways I'm down to 176.00 when I started at $586. I had to apply for that because I lost two jobs right before the holiday and now they're threatened me. Oh please report me. My credit IT'S ** up anyways... RUDE INCONSIDERATE WORKERS.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am not sure what type of people would work for a company like this. They told me a sheriff was on his way to arrest me. Well I told him that in the US that cannot happen over a debt. He then told me he personally was on his way to serve me with papers. I asked him what time he would be there so I could be waiting outside and he hung up. I must have had 20 calls always threatening. They start out rude and get worse. You cannot block the phone numbers so not sure what to do.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I called them to go over a plan and see what I could do. I felt like the man was trying to pressure me into something I couldn't do. I said what I could do then he said ok. At the end of the call he changed what I said and said, "OK you could do that twice a month." I felt like I couldn't trust them and doing anything with them. I hung up and then Googled and saw all these reviews. Made me scared to trust them after my phone call now more so after seeing all these comments. When I first called I got a nice lady. Then transferred me to a really nasty person. The things he was saying and how he was treating me was so nasty.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I receive calls regularly from these people, you cannot block their number because they will just use a different one. They are now down to the level telling me that my step-son is in danger and to call back immediately. I've encountered most of their ploys over the last four years but using the ploy to concern or cause fear for a parent about the health or life of their child is downright twisted. What is even nastier is they went through my friend requests on social media and are using those names in their calls. I do not use social media for anything other than private messaging since it is very hard for me to use my phone due to poor eyesight and lack of fine motor control so the computer allows me to communicate and is my biggest connection with the outside world.

If you are being pursued illegally, write a letter to your State Attorney General. If they are as good as mine your troubles could be over. Within a month of writing about another agency, my problem was totally eliminated and removed from my credit report due to their illegal practices. Disability income, SSDI, SSI, VA, etc. is often judgment proof, check to see if your income qualifies. You can also use an attorney that offers one visit complimentary which is what I did with an extra promise that if I was going to file bankruptcy I would work with him. Being totally bedridden limits me from jumping through the hoops these places demand and you don't have to let them walk all over you.

Never agree to pay something you don't believe you owe. Before even talking with them you can educate yourself on what to say and what not to say, then stand your ground. Check your credit scores at least annually. You can get one free report per year and if you create an account at other credit monitoring places you can check it as often as you want. I check mine and hubby's weekly and receive regular emails telling me about events to which I want to stay informed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

This debt collection agency is unlawful. I sent a money order from a Nationwide Bank to pay off my debt, and they followed through with wage garnishments. DO NOT PAY THEM! Go back to the creditor. They will work with you. Now I have to deal with getting my money back and dealing with the hassle of this issue. Being a full time college student and working full time, this is going to be almost impossible. They need to be reported.

Midland Credit Management Company Information