1.01/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a debt consolidation company?

197 Midland Credit Management Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 31, 2018

So, I had a Best Buy card that unfortunately went default. I was homeless at the time and had been unable to make payments on it. Eventually, contact about it completely stopped. Fast-forward two years later and I'm living in a different state in a better financial situation. A letter was sent by this company to my family at my old address and they got worried about it. Being better able to take care of it, I looked into the company. Everything on the surface "seemed" fine. It seemed professional and I didn't notice any red flags off the bat that led me to believe it might've been a fraudulent company. As it is, I'm still not sure, but the reviews here have certainly made me feel better about that decision.

I set up a double payment plan, going for the long haul on a payment system for 120 payments, once every month of a little more than $8 to take care of it over time and thought it'd be fine. Looking back on the terms and conditions though, I recall them saying they don't have to report to the IRS or credit tracking companies about these payments. Perhaps that should've been the big warning, but I decided to go through with it, not giving it much thought at the time because it's not the first time I've heard that, even from businesses here in the US.

The day I set up for the first payment when I was next paid, I got an alert from my bank that it was a foreign processing transaction from India. They labeled it as fraud and couldn't do anything about it. Immediately things about it started clicking, so I looked through their stuff again and I started noticing the holes. Eventually, it led me to this website to be absolutely sure of who they were and what they were doing. Suffice to say, I'm no longer processing a payment through this company and will be closing the account as quickly as possible, though now my information is floating in their system. It pisses me off, but I'm glad at least they attempted to take the amount they said they would. Not a larger amount or I'd be more peeved. As a side note, supposedly they had my information on file, but even my account shows *none* of it. It's a small detail and may be nothing, but it's still of note.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Sent me a letter stating it was a pre "court settlement." I called them and said, "Yes, let's do go to court." I was giving her all the information necessary to "take me to court," so I could expose them for the criminals they really are. She said "No I don't need that." I said, "Do you have illegal workers without green cards in this office. Dial tone... ICE you need to get these people back to where they came from. This country is allowing its hardworking citizens to be robbed by these criminals.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: May 15, 2018

First of all MCM called my unlisted phone. Don't know how they got it. About an account that I am disputing through Credit Karma. I am saying it is not mine. I asked for them to send me a statement of the charges and where they were charged before any kind of arrangements are going to be made. They agreed. Within 10 day I did not get a statement but a bill with 3 different options to paid and the bill had been switched from my name to my husband's name. I am not sure that is even legal. I wrote them and told them that I did not receive the statement.

They switched the supposed bill from mine into my husband name and they are trying to collect a bill that is in dispute. Still no statement. Just the same once a week I get a paper with the 3 options to pay and they keep calling me. When I see that it is them I do not answer. I am not paying a bill that I am disputing. Not even sure it is mine and it is almost time for that to be discharged at any rate. It is almost the 7 years coming up which is why they are trying to collect on this. It is the calling me almost every other day 2-5 times a day on my unlisted phone that I do not know how they got.

Original review: April 24, 2018

This company call center has obviously moved overseas. Recently I closed a secured credit card because the card switched banks. Somehow my small balance of $65 ended up in collections with Midland Credit management. I settled the account for $98 so I could get my $800 deposit back. I called for verification that the account was paid in full and that letter to be sent to me. The letter arrived with an account # to MCI/World Com. A company that no longer exists for almost 20 years and a company I never did business with. I called to see if it was honest mistake. When asked to speak to a supervisor, I sat on hold for 5 minutes. I called back and the young lady told me. "What do you expect from us?" This company is now overseas pocketing people's money. It's just $100 but I cannot imagine paying off thousand of dollars to be scammed like this.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I called Midland Funding Llc and requested documentation of the purchase of my card and they stated they do not have this. Don't you think that is strange. I know when I purchase something of value I receive documentation. This company is sketchy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Midland Credit Management?

Original review: March 30, 2018

Just got a phone call from these scammers. I feel horrible for these people that get scammed by these guys... THEY ARE NOT A REAL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY. First of all, if you owe money, the bank you ORIGINALLY borrowed from will try to contact you and only them! They send letters first, and my key is never answer a phone number you do not know. Screen it by letting it go to voicemail. Call back and never say the actual word yes to anything. My first clue this was a scam is that they couldn't tell me what they were calling me about until I gave them my social? That way they could look me up in some sketchy computer program that gives them all my info... HELL NO! Stay far away from this company as possible. For those dealing with them now, try to cancel your payments and close out any checking accounts they are taking money from so they won't be able to do so anymore! I hope the police/FBI get a whiff of these guys...

Original review: March 28, 2018

These thieves have tried collecting a debt that is way past the statute of limitations in CA. In addition they have threatened me and my 80-year-old mother. I have had the same # and address for many years and not once sent me proof of any debt owed or any court documents. There is also nothing reporting on my credit report. I have excellent credit and I refuse to let these jerks mess it up. Don’t give any info and always ask for proof which they can’t seem to produce. Sad world we live in folks but always gotta be on your toes.

Original review: March 9, 2018

These people contacted me several times regarding a debt for my son. I forwarded the information onto him. Because of his job he decided it wasn't worth arguing about a debt he knew was not his for $280. It was some internet debt... He thinks it was his old roommate using his info... But they kept calling me so I read the reviews here and told him to cancel the card he used to pay them. He didn't do it in time and they took out 2 different transactions in the amount of $650 from his bank account without his permission. AND they are still trying to call him and collect money. We will be contacting an attorney and filing a complaint. I am not sure why this company is still allowed to practice in the state of Arizona. I deal with a collection company for my business (I'm the one reporting the debt) and they would never do this type of underhanded business. Real collection agencies DO NOT take out money without permission.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Obviously being a debt collector they SHOULD be interested in closing accounts. I called them and asked for a 10 day payoff amount and they proceeded to bully me and tell me they weren't sure if they could close the account. (UHMMM YOU'RE JOKING!?) They then asked me where I'm getting the money to pay it off and why I haven't paid it in the first place and asking for every detail of my life when I said we got into some financial issues they kept pressing on and on. He said that I had been paying for my PUD and Comcast (how they can see that I'm not sure) but I felt very violated.

I finally told them that if they wanted their money they would give me the 10 day payoff amount and who to make the check out to and where to send it. He then got very rude and asked if he would for sure have the check in his hands in 10 days. I said "We will be sending it out in the next 2 days but I don't know the exact day you will have it in your hands." I am absolutely dumbfounded how high and mighty these people act. ESPECIALLY to people calling to resolve and close their accounts.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Midland is driving us crazy, calling day and night, both my husband's number, and mine. We made arrangements to pay one bill, and now they're hounding us for another. I can barely sleep, we don't have anything to take but they are going to give it a try anyway. I can't get a lawyer right now, so doing tutorials on how to defend myself. PLEASE people, don't get on free credit score websites that give you "advice" on credit cards!! It will ruin your life. I really think most people are good, and they want to try and better themselves, and just end up over their heads, embarrassed and ashamed.

I worked with two other debt collectors who really helped me pay off past debts. They treated me with some dignity, and made real arrangements I can deal with, and I was grateful for them. One of them even reduced the amount of the debt, took a large chunk off because I was cool with them. So I'm not trying to "get out" of paying, I, like so many others, are just tapped out. Practices like Midland's have got to STOP! Why is this legal!? They can sue someone for $1000 and take their home, and wages. WHY!? All it takes is a Google search to see the terrifying reality of Midland Funding/Midland Credit Management.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

These people are relentless! They harass and harass and when they can’t get you they call anybody with the same last name. 6,7,8 times a day! Never leave messages and don’t speak English. I have reported them to the Attorney General and the BBB, hope they all get put under a rock with their name on it!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I received a phone call today from Manny ** at **. I told Mr. ** that this was a work number and we were not allowed to receive non-related work calls. At this time, I assumed Mr. ** was a telemarketer. He proceeded to ask me to verify my name over and over. I stated, "I said my name when I answered". He then proceeded to go into a script about a debt and legal action; despite me repeating, "I cannot have non-business related discussions on this line." After a moment, I stopped him and said, "What is the name of the company you are calling from" and he told me Midland Credit Mgmt.

Here's where it gets fun. I informed Mr. ** that he had the wrong "Doe". There are two employees at my company with the EXACT same name. I informed him that he had now violated confidential information to the wrong individual, violating FCRA. He tried to tell me that 'it happens all of the time, and it's not illegal since we have the same name". I told him it is his responsibility to perform the diligence to assure he has the correct person. He has now disclosed financial information about one employee to another at a company, and continues to call on a business line - despite being asked not to.

I gave all of the information to my co-worker so she could follow up, but told her I would write a review myself. She informed me that she had asked them to stop calling her work almost a year ago, and had recorded the call for this exact reason. I don't know if they are a reputable company - but with actions like this, they could lose their license I would think...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Midland credit is going to kill my father!!! They zeroed out all my bank accounts including my father's because I was joint on it. He was 87 with failing health with breathing issues and I’m his caregiver. I was unable to get him food or his medication and if I can’t get necessities of life he will pass away. I’ve called them to make payment arrangements and they refused.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My father passed two years ago. Apparently he had an account with Midland and a lien was placed on my mother's home. During a re-fi it was discovered and needed to pay off debt to clear title. I placed no less than 20 phone calls to RHONDA ** and SHANICA ** with no response. The title company also left several messages. These people will harass and threaten when you owe money but when you want to pay they do not respond. I hope these two woman rot in hell for the delay in refinancing they are causing my mother.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

This company really just won't quit! For the past month, they've blown up my phone, either from an unknown number or various 1-866 numbers. When I finally spoke with a representative, I was told about a debt I have with Credit One Bank and they said I owe 1,134 dollars. First of all, I do owe money on this particular credit card but my outstanding balance is def not 1,000 dollars. They pressure you to give your card/bank info in order to set up a "Payment plan" in order to rid your debt. Real debt collectors don't call asking for your card info, they send letters first. I played along with the representative although I knew it was a scam from jump.

When I asked him what the name of the company is again and he started stuttering. I asked him to send me a letter, he said he would and they actually did but the stationary screams amateur. I then asked them if they're certified under the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and he started getting defensive. I googled the company while on the phone with him and told him about their horrible reviews and that's when he started yelling at me. This company is a fraud and you'd be an idiot to give them any kind of money.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I received a call from "Louis **" with regard to a debt they collected from Citibank for a Sears MasterCard. The account was opened in December 2014, but last payment on the account was 1/5/17 - and then payments stopped. The accrued balance now due is over $6K. Louis confirmed our home address, my husband's date of birth and social security number. He even told me some of the charges on the "account". This seemed all legit - especially the charges - as they were all local businesses that we frequent often.

BUT: 1.) We have NEVER received a billing from Citibank for a Sears MasterCard. 2.) My husband has NEVER had a Sears MasterCard thru Citibank. 3.) There is NO account like this on either of our Credit Reports. 4.) When I asked for proof of the debt - "What would you like me to send you"? Really? I told him I would l do nothing based on a phone call. I am freaked out over this "debt" that I know nothing about. Still too many questions and "what ifs".

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

They keep trying to get my bank account number but they already have my card number and the security code on back. And the Midland Credit Union I deal with is in the UK not the US. I know there's one in the US. I got mixed up with these people through Aspen Dental on Airport who signed me up for CARE CREDIT. ALL THEY DID WAS CLEAN MY TEETH WITH WATER AND A PIX. AND I HAD TO PAY OVER $800. Best advice stay far away from Care Credit and Aspen Dental because they sent my account to the UK and I'm in Alabama. WTF!!!! There's a Midland Credit Union in the United States. Anyways I'm down to 176.00 when I started at $586. I had to apply for that because I lost two jobs right before the holiday and now they're threatened me. Oh please report me. My credit IT'S ** up anyways... RUDE INCONSIDERATE WORKERS.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I am not sure what type of people would work for a company like this. They told me a sheriff was on his way to arrest me. Well I told him that in the US that cannot happen over a debt. He then told me he personally was on his way to serve me with papers. I asked him what time he would be there so I could be waiting outside and he hung up. I must have had 20 calls always threatening. They start out rude and get worse. You cannot block the phone numbers so not sure what to do.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I called them to go over a plan and see what I could do. I felt like the man was trying to pressure me into something I couldn't do. I said what I could do then he said ok. At the end of the call he changed what I said and said, "OK you could do that twice a month." I felt like I couldn't trust them and doing anything with them. I hung up and then Googled and saw all these reviews. Made me scared to trust them after my phone call now more so after seeing all these comments. When I first called I got a nice lady. Then transferred me to a really nasty person. The things he was saying and how he was treating me was so nasty.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I receive calls regularly from these people, you cannot block their number because they will just use a different one. They are now down to the level telling me that my step-son is in danger and to call back immediately. I've encountered most of their ploys over the last four years but using the ploy to concern or cause fear for a parent about the health or life of their child is downright twisted. What is even nastier is they went through my friend requests on social media and are using those names in their calls. I do not use social media for anything other than private messaging since it is very hard for me to use my phone due to poor eyesight and lack of fine motor control so the computer allows me to communicate and is my biggest connection with the outside world.

If you are being pursued illegally, write a letter to your State Attorney General. If they are as good as mine your troubles could be over. Within a month of writing about another agency, my problem was totally eliminated and removed from my credit report due to their illegal practices. Disability income, SSDI, SSI, VA, etc. is often judgment proof, check to see if your income qualifies. You can also use an attorney that offers one visit complimentary which is what I did with an extra promise that if I was going to file bankruptcy I would work with him. Being totally bedridden limits me from jumping through the hoops these places demand and you don't have to let them walk all over you.

Never agree to pay something you don't believe you owe. Before even talking with them you can educate yourself on what to say and what not to say, then stand your ground. Check your credit scores at least annually. You can get one free report per year and if you create an account at other credit monitoring places you can check it as often as you want. I check mine and hubby's weekly and receive regular emails telling me about events to which I want to stay informed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

This debt collection agency is unlawful. I sent a money order from a Nationwide Bank to pay off my debt, and they followed through with wage garnishments. DO NOT PAY THEM! Go back to the creditor. They will work with you. Now I have to deal with getting my money back and dealing with the hassle of this issue. Being a full time college student and working full time, this is going to be almost impossible. They need to be reported.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I made a payment arrangement with this company, on three separate occasions they took double the amount of money out of my account. And now have taken money out of the account without authorization to the point I’ve had to call the bank and stop payment. They don’t speak hardly any English and are incredibly rude and are just flat out dumb. There’s no other way to put it. I can only hope they get put out of business.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Midland Credit Management, LLC or also known as MCM should be considered a harassment company versus a debt collection agency. I recently changed my address and went into the MCM payment portal to update my information. I have received calls in the past and unfortunately in a bad spot and don’t have the extra funds at this time to pay. I have assured them though I’ll make minimum payments whenever I can. Which I’ll make small payments on the portal when I am able to do so.

After I updated my address on the MCM portal I decided to pay a min amount at the same time which I accidentally put my account number in wrong and it didn’t go through and MCM never notified me so a month later I found out and didn’t have the extra funds any longer. I got a bill in the mail at my new address which brought my attention it wasn’t taken out and I made a mistake entering my account since the bill I got was the same amount it was before. They now have sent me bills for that amount left and right, I get the same bill/amount 2-3 Days a week with these cut off dates to contact them days before I get it in the mail or the day of. They started calling my phone 4-5X a day and it will start at 8am on the dot and they’ve called as late as 830-9PM at night.

I decided to ignore them and I’ll pay when I pay since they put a bad taste in my mouth with all these letters/bill being sent constantly with the threat to contact them by so and so date and all the calls at ridiculous times of the day. After them calling me multiple times a day along with sending me the same bill 3X a week, I called and told them I made a mistake with entering my account and I unfortunately didn’t have the funds any longer and I will again pay when I’m able to pay.

The guy told me why did I attempt to make a payment 3 months ago if I don’t have the funds? I explained if they contacted me on the issue of my account info being wrong in a decent amount of time I would have been able to fix it and still would have had the funds to pay it, but they decided to wait over a month so by then I no longer had it. The calls calmed down and stopped after I called and told them to keep sending me a bill each month and I have everything set up on the MCM portal so I will make payments when I am able to.

Finally it was quiet for a bit maybe 2-3 weeks. Then I get a text from my husband while he was at work asking me if I knew I owed $581.00 to a debt collector for a Walmart credit card I had in 2014! I refreshed his memory on when I originally got the credit and what we used it on since he did know of it he just needed a reminder. I asked him what made him bring this up and he told me the debt collection agency MCM that took it over called him and asked him my location and he asked why and instead of saying I owed a debt they told him all with how much I owed and what it was for etc.

He gave them my cell which he snapped at my husband they already have it and I’ve contacted them, but they figured to contact my husband to maybe push me to pay off or he could give funds to pay off debt! He told them he works a job daily 7am to 7pm and can’t be contacted during those hours and for them not to contact him again and my personal phone number. 3 days later my father in law came over and mentioned to me MCM called his landline and they asked him if he knew I owed them $581 that Walmart turned over to them to collect. He told them it was none of his business and asked if they had my personal number, which they lied and said no so my father in law gave them the same number I gave them personally, my husband gave them too and the guy told my father in law they have that number and have spoken to me and told him how I can’t pay at this time and asked if maybe he can help out!

Again I’m open book and close to my father in law so he also knew of this Walmart card and it went to collections so no biggie, but it’s the fact they are contacting my family and telling them all the details and they have a way to contact me. My cell which is the number I gave to MCM is under my husband’s name so I am assuming they looked up other numbers associated with his name which how they got my husband’s cell number. Plus he is a 3rd and has same exact name as his father so that’s how they probably got my father in law’s landline number and assumed it was another of my husband’s. I’m waiting for my 2 sister in law’s next to tell me that got a phone call from MCM since their cell numbers are also under my father in law’s name which shows the same as my cell under my husband’s.

I recently contacted the family lawyer about this and plan on looking into if there’s a class action lawsuit in the making against MCM for this reason. I have the call date/time and length of the call he originally got and spoke to them and then a text from him time stamped a minute after he hung up with MCM asking me when have I had a Walmart card and do I know I owe $581, which I asked what made him bring this up. My father in law’s working on getting the call log for the day MCM called his home with the date and time and length of call since he also spoke to them. I might tell them to go ** themselves at this point and make no payments at all. Hopefully I’ll get the chance and enough proof to bring this to court and have them be paying me. Calling my family, fine. But telling them how much I owe and from where and asking if they can make payments since I can’t I can only assume is ILLEGAL!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

These people are just a legal system assisted scam. I had a $800 credit card charge off in 2008 that was sold to this company. They took me to court (I NEVER received a summons) and they got a money judgment for $1200. I refused to pay them and they garnished my wages, bank account, and even called my house at all hours of the day and night. They almost got me fired from my job by calling so much and telling my boss "she's a loser that doesn't pay her bills." It is 2017 and they have yet again garnished my bank account. As of today I have paid them over $4500. My best advice is get a lawyer if you ever even get a scrap of mail from these people. I wish I would have in 2008!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This so called Consumer Experienced Business has disappointed me so badly the whole experience has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I value my credit and have paid these people per arrangement but they TOOK MONEY out of my account unauthorized. I would appreciate my money back in my account. They are not answering 8663610420 or 8664522381 or the regular Midland Credit number. The guy lied - he said they were closed yesterday which they were not!!! Ugh! Ugh!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I am writing this review in protest against this company. I am a senior citizen who has been taken advantage of this company on a debt that was due more than 10 years ago. They called me and sent letters regarding a debt and I was harassed to a point of me making payment arrangements for this debt. I am still paying monthly for this debt and feel that I have been taken advantage of after a family member told me to write a review and give complaints about them. They have already taken over 1000k from my account and I am on a fixed income. Hope something can be done with companies like these.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was called by these people twice this week. The callers were from an India call center. They kept telling me I owed several hundred dollars on a credit card account from 2009, an account I have never heard of and that doesn't show on my current credit report. I tracked down a 1-800 number on their website that was listed out of San Diego. When I spoke with a representative at that number, I was passed to an "account manager" which surprise, surprise, was another Indian speaking gentleman.

I asked them to send me a written letter of debt, verify my full social security number, and provide the banking account I supposedly used to make the last payment on the account back in 2009 and he said he could not do any of that. When I explained my frustration and concern was the reason I was wary of providing information on a supposed debt from 8 years ago, plus the fact that he couldn't verify anything with me (other than my last 4 SS# and my phone number) he became very agitated with me and I hung up.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This John character keeps harassing me from multiple phone numbers claiming I took out an internet loan in 2007 and that it was unpaid. He threatened me saying I had a warrant out. This so-called loan was taken out and held on a bank account with a bank I had never been associated with. I asked repeatedly for a copy of something with my signature and he said he could not produce that till I paid the account in full. I fell for this scheme once a couple of years ago when this same company threatened me. I gave them a payment over the phone just to get them to stop the threats. They refuse to mail anything in writing. This imaginary debt is over 10 years old anyway and beyond Florida Statutes. Our government should shut these people down. At this point it may be worth retaining legal counsel to sue them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I have never had an account with Walmart, but this company keep on sending phishing mail that I owe them money, I am thinking of taking them to court and suing them for at least 100K for bothering me. They once agree to not send me any more mail but keep on doing that.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Collection Harassment - Numerous calls per day as early as 8 am ET till 9:30 pm ET. They have been notified several times of an Attorney has been retained and a Bankruptcy filing is in the process. They still keep calling me and family. The latest, a letter was received from Midland with threats of referring it to a local Attorney for a lawsuit without any regards to the Bankruptcy in the process.

Midland Credit Management Company Information