Forster & Garbus, LLP

Compare Debt Collection Agencies

Research top Debt Collection Agencies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

These people are impossible to work with. I tried for 2 weeks to get to a live person only to be told that 2 people answer the extension I needed which is 207 and they get calls every second of the day. I said ok but that is not my problem. They want $1300 for a debt that was settled 7 years ago!!! But I can't explain this to anyone because they don't answer the phone or call me back. I am now seeking an attorney.

I paid a debt 7 years ago, and it is still showing public record as open and they are refusing to cooperate and send me the proper information so I can give to the title company so I can buy my friggin house!

Forster & Garbus are ROBBERS. They stole money from my daughter's teenage bank account. I showed them proof that the money was NOT my money... What did they do? They laughed. They willingly STOLE my teenage daughter's money. Discover Card is at fault too for choosing SCUMBAGS like them... How much was STOLEN--$3,167.90 -- She goes off to college this year...

They garnished my 18 year old college son's bank account! From a debt I was left with after a divorce that wasn't mine, they cleaned out an 18 year olds bank account for $250, leaving him with no money for food or gas while going to college (he works part time) all because I co-signed for his saving/checking account with PNC bank when he was 16 years old... Calling my lawyer now!!!

For the last 2 years I have been dealing with harassment from this law firm which is connected with the collections agency Portfolio Recovery. I even had to file a report to the BBB because of them harassing me. Now my financial situation is unemployed and I've communicated with them fairly regarding my situation. They don't care. I've told them several times that once I'm able to I'll be repaying my debt owed, instead now they are now suing me and in the court papers have a employer to whom I'm not employed with or have any affiliations with employment whatsoever, so besides having financial issues and stress now I got to go to court to file a order to show cause that explains my circumstances which got rejected and now I need to go back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Forster & Garbus, LLP?

I received a notice from this company regarding a judgment on the balance owed of $771. I was told I had 30 days to pay $500 to settle it. I had been out of work for 6 months prior and just returned to work when I received the notice. Instead I offered to make a monthly payment to which they refused it and said the judgment would move forward. After repeated unsuccessful attempts dealing with a "Mr ** at extension **", I asked to talk to a Manager. Mark ** returned the call, made a settlement offer to have payment made via credit card - I called back with credit card and he said "We don't take AmEx" AFTER we spoke in detail about me using my AmEx. Next he instructed to have the payment in their office no later than 2/22/2016. He said a follow-up email outlining our agreement could be expected in 48 hours.

I sent the settlement check via UPS overnight to their address in Hackensack. At 8:30 a.m. the next day, I received the email with the settlement details from a legal assistant but telling me to send it to NY office - but at 10:00 the same day, UPS claimed the office was closed and could not deliver the package. At no point in our conversation did Mr. ** say it had to go to NY. So now the payment is in limbo. I have tried to call both offices in Hackensack and NY and no one answers the phone. A lot of game playing goes on and I'm not sure how they continue to get away with this type of treatment to honest hardworking people trying to work with them.

In 2014 Forster and Garbus froze my bank account. The only funds I had was SSI and unemployment benefits. I got representation from state legal aide and the funds were released back to me. Yesterday they did it again on the same docket number and same case that was dismissed in 2014. Again I am seeking help from legal aide. I receive only SSI, have so since 2013 and SSI cannot be taken under Federal Law. They do not care. These are a nasty, nasty, nasty company and they stop at nothing. Even trying to collect on what was already settled. I wrote about this back in 2014.

I called Target Card Services to find out the status of my account. During the conversation, I was advised that my account had been referred to the collection agency Forster and Garbus. I called Forster and Garbus at 800-823-0590. The first person that answered the phone asked me if my name was Kesha **. I told her no and asked why she called me that. She told me that she searched under the phone number that I was calling from. I advised her that she shouldn't assume anything and that she should've asked me for my personal information before assuming because I could very well be using someone else's phone and it's illegal to give someone's personal information over the phone. She hung up on me.

I called back and received someone by the name of Kim ** who did ask questions to verify who I was but also advised that I was Kesha **. I did not advise them that my mother's name is Kiisha ** but she told me that she had an account for my mother. I told her that wasn't my name and advised her of who I was and provided her with an alternate number to search for my information. She told me that her office received my information from Target 7 days ago. I asked her what was the exact date that it was received in their office. She told me Aug 9th. I told her that today is the 11th so the 9th was only 2 days ago. She then got upset and told me that I should be receiving a letter from their office shortly.

I asked her for the fax number to their office and she stated that they had several so she needed the reason that I wanted the fax number. I advised her that I wanted the fax number for the disputes and complaints dept. She told me that she would give me contact information for Target because they don't have a complaint dept. I then asked if I could just have the fax number to the disputes dept. She put me on hold and never came back, instead she transferred me to her supervisor who stated that his name was Peter **. I asked Peter what day they received my information in their office. He stated that my account was in cease and desist status. I asked what that meant and he told me to Google it. I asked him if I could have the fax number to their office, he told me no.

He said that he heard his rep tell me that my account was not with their office. I advised him that this was incorrect. She told me that I had a past due balance of $515 and she was attempting to collect on it. He also got upset and disconnected the call. Once I got home, I advised my mother of what happened. She called them to find out what account was in her name with them. The first person who answered the phone told her that she couldn't talk to her about the Target account any longer. My mother then advised her that she doesn't have a Target account. She then transferred her to the Peter ** person that I'd spoken with earlier.

My mother advised him that she was not me and tried to explain what happened. He then refused to assist her telling her that the Target account could only be discussed with me if I got on the phone. She again advised him that she was not calling on my behalf or for me. She told him that someone advised me that she had an account in their office also. He then told her that her Target account showed a $0 balance and there was nothing to pursue. My mother asked him when was the account settled and that she never had a Target account.

He continued to be rude and told her that he was going to disconnect the call. This is how identity theft happens. These companies give out personal information to people without even verifying if it's them. They should not be in business because they volunteer information to people solely based on the number that they are calling from as if they are for sure that it's that person's number. I could've been using someone else's phone and received their private, personal information with no effort. After all that time, they never provided me with their information though. I never received the fax number, my account number or the address.

They were suing me for a credit card bill of $787. They sent me a letter saying they were going to garnish my wages, so I called asking what I can do to take care of this issue. They said if I paid $250 it would stop the garnishment and they would not proceed with it, then I can pay $100 a month until it was paid. Well, I paid the $250, and a week later I received a letter stating that they filed an application with the court to garnish me. Then a couple weeks after that, over $1100 was taken from my bank account. I paid them like they asked, which brought my balance down to $537. I called the court, and they said they should not have taken my money since I did my part and made the payment. Now I had to hire a lawyer to get my money back. They are scammers, and should be shut down!!

Foster has tried to collect a debt for web bank, which I wrote for an explanation of who is web bank and did they purchase a debt from another creditor as I did not know who web bank was. I never got a reply from them. Weeks later I get served papers for court, a judgment was enter for 1977.00; I wrote and explained I am not working and cannot make payments, I asked again if web bank purchased the debt from another creditor no RESPONSE. NOW I get an invoice the bill went from $1,977.30 it is for $2,247.30, I WRITE AGAIN TO ASK WHY, AND TO EXPLAIN I AM CURRENTLY OUT OF WORK. STILL NO RESPONSE OF ANY KIND FROM THIS SUPPOSED LAW FIRM. They are a real piece of work!!!

I Brandon ** have made many attempts and reasonable offers to pay off a debt with this company before it exceeded the statute of limitations on credit reporting due to the violated provisions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act on the original account by the law firm Forster & Garbus LLP and the debtor GE Moneybank. I may provide this statement and the practice of collections as "Exhibit A" in my future counter lawsuit in accordance with the aforementioned violation of the FDCPA. I also am clearly stating the incorrect balance from GE Moneybank, who has yet to provide information of charges that I have claimed incorrect as early as 2008. I Brandon ** may be contacted directly at ** or ** with a resolution before further litigation.

This company is fraudulent and we are taking it to the District Attorney. They sent us fake papers that said we were filed in the County court house for debt owed. They could not give me any information on the debt. When checking with the court house there was no record. They forged the county documents and will be brought to the District Attorney. DO Not GIVE THIS COMPANY ANY INFORMATION.

Forster & Garbus said I had debt from sears. We agreement on payments on the phone, paid that day & 19 days later I was getting ready to go see family. Thankfully I checked my account, because it was gone, savings & all. Ended up moving back in with my family.

My roommate paid off her balance from Sears, a couple of months ago. Today, there came ANOTHER income execution statement from Forster & Garbus, LLP for creditor SEARS!!! How can these lowlifes be allowed to do this? The amount ironically is for DOUBLE what the debt originally was! WTF?? These jerks need to be put out of business...these scumbag collectors!!

Two days ago the comptroller at my wife's work received a court order for wage garnishment from a default judgment to a lawsuit from Forster, Garbus & Garbus. There are multiple problems with this. First we were unaware that we were even being sued. We have never been served with any summons or complaint. Second, not only do we have no clue who these people (FG&G) are, we don't even know the company they are supposedly representing! My wife immediately contacted FG&G to find out who they were and when we were allegedly served with a court summons. They could not provide an exact date and even acknowledged they received no response from us. After pushing for written verification of acknowledgement of debt and a copy of a signed, delivered summons they then stated they served it towards the end of last year but again, had no proof.

Upon further requests, they stated they sent it via first class mail, TO AN ADDRESS WE HAVE NOT LIVED AT SINCE 2008! When my wife informed them that we never received any notice they told us to take it up with the people who live there now because they never sent it back to sender. I'm sorry, what? So you're essentially saying you can sue anyone you want AND WIN by sending to a false address and claiming you never received a response, thus assuming the defendant was served? So then came the second part of the issue, who the hell were they even representing? The company they stated was a company we never heard of. Again, after requesting more information we came to find out that this was for a credit card we defaulted on in 2003. Not saying it's right that we defaulted, but this was an 11 year old debt that had long since been written off as a bad debt and had since even fallen off our credit report it was that old!

So the company they represented was the company who purchased this zombie debt. And to make matters worse, the default was $423. This judgment was for $1278.48. After all the court fees, sheriff fees and attorney fees, the garnishment was for $1663.92! How is this even possible? We were not even afforded the opportunity to defend ourselves versus these people. And now that a judgment has been made, we have zero recourse. Not because we failed to appear, but because they knowingly requested a default judgment on a non-served summons! After doing some research online I found all these complaints about FG&G and their shady collection practices. So at this point, were out $1600+ but you damn well better bet everyone who I can tell will know of these crooks!

I don't know what to say except that I don't give out information over the phone. I don't deal directly with this predatory debt collector but only through my lawyer. We have reached an agreement about a month ago after Foster, Garbus, and Garbus of Hackensack sued me for less than $1000.00. But I'm still waiting for the paperwork to go through. I even called my lawyer several times during this month of April 2014 and my lawyer rest assured me that everything was fine and that the debt collector had a big case load. The debt collector is the plaintiff for GE CAPITAL BANK which issues credit through Amazon.com. I will get back to this website once I have all the paperwork signed and once I start paying off this amazing debt monthly as they and my lawyer agreed.

I got a letter from F&G about old debt. The representative name was Carlos **. He was abrupt and a Bully. I guess that was meant to scare me. He shut my account down and to get my account back I had to agree to give him 1056 dollars which is a months rent for me. It took me three months to catch up and become current again. I have been paying 150$ a month and I have no idea how much is my balance because they don't send statements. In addition to the 1056$ in 2012 I have paid 1800$ in 2013 and 300$ in 2014. And I have decided to stop paying.

Forster and Garbus put a hold on my accts. when I called to clarify. They told me I had to go the bank and call then. Wait for a fax and sign it so it can then be sent back to them via fax to pay a debt to American Express of less than $1,500. When I informed the representative of Forster and Garbus I could not do that due to work. I then proceeded to pay off my balance thru the American Express co. Online. I then called back the rep - from Forster and Garbus - and informed him of what I just did..... He started screaming at me saying, "You can't do that." When I told him I already did, he then told me his company would not received that money for about a month. He then proceeded to yell at me ... "Well then ... I'm just going to keep the hold on your acct for a month." - When is it okay for someone that works for a law firm and is representing a business to threaten and scream at a client ???

We asked for a balance for my daughter's debt and were told "We don't have to do that". Really? How do I fix this?

I became unemployed May 2012. I was able to pay my bills for a while. I missed a couple of payments on my Discover card due to Hurricane Sandy and repairs I needed to make to my house. They called and I told them my situation, I also told them I had payment protection for if I became unemployed or sick. I was told they would put me on a payment plan. The amount was not manageable for me. So I was unable to make the payments. They began calling me every day starting at 7:00 AM going several times a day until 11:00 PM at night. They would call my land line then my cell number.

After a couple of months of this, I was about to agree with a payment. I agreed to an amount. After speaking with them,I received five more calls that day about the debt. I heard nothing for a few months. Then received a call from Forster Garbus and Garbus. I explained that I was only receiving SSI and a reduced unemployment benefit. Extended Unemployment ended December 2013. This left me with only SSI $973.00 a month. I had anticipated this and had managed to save $2,900 during 2013. I did it by eliminating a lot of things including only eating one meal a day.

January 28, I logged on to my account and my money I had saved was gone. I called the bank and I was given a number to call. It was the county court house. They said my account was levied by Forster Garbus and Garbus for Discover Card. I was also informed I had been notified. I did not receive anything in the mail and knew nothing of this until after the fact. I called the company and they want all my bank records. Which I have. But, I am afraid to show them. I also contacted Legal Services in my state and am waiting to hear back. I was advised by the person I spoke with not to send copies of my bank record. Any way. What they took was SSI and unemployment. This has been my only source of income since May of 2013. I also reported this to FTC. I received a letter from Discover telling me to give my records to Forster Garbus and Garbus. Now I am only receiving my SSI. What they took was to help put food on the table, pay my lights and heating. I am also a senor citizen and the stress is hurting my health.

When they wiped out my bank account for an unpaid debt, I called them begging and pleading to work out a payment plan because I would not have rent money and food money. The rude lady laughed at me when I said I could only afford to pay $50 a month towards it. She said, "Are you kidding me, that's not enough," and just basically laughed as I cried and begged for the money back. They wanted no less than $250 a month. I wonder how they even sleep at night knowing they are putting people on the streets because they took that person's rent and food money. I hope karma gets them 10-fold.

Forster and Garbus has called my mom's home phone #, stating if this is not Karen ** to please hang up. How can I hang up if they are talking to an answering machine? They then say this must be Karen ** if I did not hang up phone. They have also frozen my bank acct. & tried to collect on an account that was already paid to another bill collector. They are unethical & rude, making threats to garnish my wages on a debt that has already been paid. The debt was less than 1,000.00. They violate the Fair Credit Reporting Act continuously... and are allowed to get away with it!

Had fallen behind with a Capital One account and worked it out with them for a reduced amount. They have per diem lawyers at the courthouses. The payments you send in do not get posted for at least 5 days thus making it look like you are late. They are quick on the trigger to start the legal action again. You must go to court quickly before they try and get a judgement against you. They are horribly rude and will call you at work and hang up just to see if you are employed. Bad, bad people.

My domestic partner had a judgement on his name and both of our names were on the bank account. Our bank account was frozen and I tried to contact this agency to see if there was any way we can deal with this matter to unfreeze my bank account. I was told by this lawyer (John) that there was nothing he could do to unlock the restrictions on the bank account because his name was there. So, I told him that this was really unfair because all my savings were deposited on this account and the money that was in there belonged to me but he insisted that just by having his name in the bank account means that he was making contributions to this account. They're really mean and cold-hearted. They don't have feelings and compassion for people.

My daughter has an account for a school loan that was transferred to them. An agreement was made in June for $150 per month on the 25th of every month. Payments started crossing due to the fact that they didn't post them for five days. They've been using the date that they post rather than the date it was sent! County Sheriff's Dept served papers for default today. When I called, they said she was a month behind and there was no grace period even though I had in my hands the cancelled checks for the months involved. There's a new agreement coming but they are extremely rude and certainly unprofessional. If there's a way to get this out from them, I'd like to hear it!

I was a victim of identity theft by a close relative. I was sued by a credit card company for $9,000. I went to court several times in regard to the matter and decided to settle with Forster and Garbus for $4,000 making payments of $100 a month. I signed the settlement. I paid this every month for 12 months paying a total of $1200. I sent in a payment after the holidays that they said they received after their ten-day grace period. They accepted the payment and sent me a letter saying they filed for a full judgment of $9,000.

I was only late that once because of the holidays. I tried for 2 hours to get in touch with someone at the office. I eventually got someone that said I would have to talk to the supervisor who never called me back. I would have never agreed to a settlement if I knew that they could get a judgment for the full amount plus more. This company has no morals. Under the settlement agreement, I only owe them $2800. Now, they are getting a judgment $9,200. The $1,200 I already paid is not included.

My consumer credit account was levied to the max. $6,700 was turned into a $15,000.00 withdrawal from my checking account. Incredible. I feel violated. They are the worst kind of thieves. Completely predatory.

Someone in my household was served with papers without knowing it was meant for me. The summons was dated for 12/6/12 and I got served on 12/15/12. I called them and stood on the phone for over one full hour. No one picked up the phone. Times are extremely tough right now more than anything when you get hit with the hurricane really bad. There isn't a date when I am supposed to appear for this summons. They say I owe Capital One extensive money, and I feel that without notification, how can Forster & Garbus do that to people? Is it that the owner of that office has become "Mr. Scrooge"? Ba hum bug! Have some sort of a backbone and try to understand what people are going through. I am a single mom of two boys, no job, no money. And now, you want to take my blood as well. Please give me a break. Really.

Contact Help Me Howard or any of the other news station. Their practice is illegal. I am contacting everyone there is to contact. I want them on the news. My account was transferred back to the original holder which no longer meant that the account was theirs, but they still went ahead with a default judgment against me. It's completely illegal! And I want them exposed for their greediness and ruining people's credit.

Violation of FDCPA - I received a letter stating account was in this office. I sent a copy of my dispute letter explaining why I was disputing the debt within 30 days. They ignored my dispute. I received a letter of complaint stating I was being sued. The letter stated I needed to file an answer and send it to the law firm. I sent a letter answering the complaint. They ignored the reply and got a default judgment under false pretenses. I received a message on my home voice mail which didn’t ID me. The message stated I owed a $1,800 balance to Capital One. I called the law firm to complain about the message. The rep told me he was allowed to say what he said according to FDCPA, and then hung up on me. I called back, left a message on the voice mail of the manager who never responded.

Forster & Garbus, LLP Company Profile