3.6/5 (186 ratings)

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

It's Just Lunch! Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Debra is a great coach! She has listened to my needs and feedback. I honestly feel I can talk openly with her about anything. She has heard the type of person I feel best suited for-and the last two matches have been "spot on". (It took a few matches to learn). She is attentive, and gets right back to me. I can't imagine a better dating coach!

It's Just Lunch! response

We love the great feedback on the matchmaking team, look forward to your next fun first date!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I am writing to compliment Michelle my most recent matchmaker. She has been outstanding. She was quick to find me a match and she has been with me very regularly. That is what I have asked from everyone and she seems to finally be following through. She has been everything she has said she would be and I am very thankful to her for that.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy to hear you are enjoying your one on one relationship with your matchmaker! We appreciate you as a Client and look forward to more fun first dates!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Cecily is working hard and getting results! She's super dedicated. It is appreciated! She is professional plus it is a pleasure to work with her. She communication style is just right to ensure things are covered and go smoothly. Many thanks!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for this great feedback on your matchmaker! We enjoy working with you. Happy dating!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Jorge was excellent and he introduced me to a great guy on the first date. I’m the past have not had such a great experience but Jorge made up for all the other dates. Thanks Jorge. I am now in a relationship.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy to hear this news!! Keep Jorge and the matchmaking team posted on how your relationship goes, we love to hear about IJL success stories!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

This is an awesome dating service! Very hands-on treatment by the staff who really care about your dating experience. After just a few dates, they are able to focus in on the type of person that you are interested in. Well worth the money!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks Mark! We love what we do and really take all of your feedback to fine tune the dating process, so thank you, for your partnership with IJL!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

This is my second comment on the wonderful date IJL set me up with. Also Michael was a magician in canceling Benihana on 56th St. The place was under full construction with fierce jack hammers blasting the ceiling. Micheal found a better spot quickly.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are here to take the stress out of dating for you, so glad you enjoyed your date!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I enjoy my chats with my Matchmaker Hazel. She is always professional, uplifting with me. We always have good open chats. Hazel. Always allows me to be open and honest. I feel I can tell if I prefer to move on. And she is always willing to my reasoning to do so. She is great to communicate with me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you Joanne for the great feedback. Your matchmaker is your wing-woman all throughout the process and we are here every step of the way. We look forward to our continued partnership, happy dating!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I had the wonderful experience of working with the staff at It's Just Lunch. They were all professional and really work with me individually to meet my needs. Demographically it was a challenge but they found dares for me with Professional, intelligent, and beautiful women. I would highly recommend It's Just Lunch to anyone. It was a pleasure to work with the staff there.

It's Just Lunch! response

We truly appreciate your kind words about our team and are happy to hear you are having a great time! Thank you for being an IJL client!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Jorge is an outstanding matchmaker and am so thankful for the dates he has arranged for me. He is a truly a wonderful listener who cares deeply about finding me the right one and not just anyone. I would recommend him highly.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We enjoy working with you and look forward to your next date!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Debra has been a great help in providing direction and support in setting up dates. She has also provided post-date feedback to both better align my interests with subsequent dates. Her feedback has resulted in me meeting someone who I am exclusively dating and very much enjoying her company. I would highly recommend IJL and specifically Debra.

It's Just Lunch! response

We appreciate this feedback and we know Debra does as well! The entire matchmaking team is dedicated to working with you to provide a positive and fun dating experience. Thank you again for this great feedback!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

So far my experience with It’s Just Lunch has been amazing! I completely attribute my positive experience with IJL to my matchmaker Cecily! She is amazing at her job! I honestly can’t say enough good things about her. She truly cares about her clients and it absolutely shows in her work! I feel like she took the time to get to know me so that she could match me with the right type of woman. And I can honestly say that talking to her is like talking to a really good friend. And so far she has done a fantastic job of matching me with some very high quality woman. I feel very fortunate to have Cecily as my matchmaker and I look forward to working with her in trying to find my person!

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy to hear this! We look forward to helping you lose your single status!

Original review: July 28, 2022

I have just begun the dating process with It’s Just Lunch, so far it’s been a good experience, but I would rather do a review after more time has gone by. I have only been on one date set up through them.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks Jason for your honest feedback, we look forward to our continued relationship and your next fun first date!

Original review: July 25, 2022

I don't even know where to start. I signed up for IJL on my father's insistence as I am a hardworking single woman in my late twenties who lives happily alone, but hey let's make Dad happy. I want to be clear about why I used this service, as it is different for others- I get too many matches via online dating apps, and I don't have the time or patience to weed through and find those I will actually have a connection with. Turns out, though, IJL is just more of a headache and frustration point.

The cost was $5k for 12 months or 14 dates. Don't be fooled by the initial welcome/intake call, this is the only person in the 12 months who is focused on getting to know you, and she's gone after that call. After you are in the program, you get an Executive Matchmaker, who is supposed to be your go-to contact person. One would imagine they should get to know the client a little better and understand who they are and their personality, but in fact I am already on my 6th? matchmaker after being in the program for about 10 months. You get switched and tossed around like a hot potato and it's been ridiculous finding who is supposed to help me. I get a VM from a lady saying she is my new Matchmaker, I give her a call back the next week and she repeatedly tells me I must have misheard the VM (even though this thing call voice transcribing exists on Apple, so I apparently can't read either), and that I am wrong. She finally admits that I am right, and next week I have a different matchmaker.

The matches they present you are based on a basic subset of qualifiers (I don't notice this consistently), then hobbies. I can't tell you how many guys I share hobbies with, since I like outdoor activities and watching/playing sports, but who I am and my personality doesn't play into a match potential ever. Then there is the massive amount of time it takes to actually get to the date itself. I think most of my dates (only 4 so far...) have been 3-6 weeks out for no valid reason. They don't give you reminders at all, make sure you keep your calendar up to date. When I got to a new matchmaker, I was accidentally put on a 2-month hold because he "missed" one of my reply emails, but then never admitted to it.

A few weeks ago I went on a date with a guy. (The locations of these dates do NOT coordinate with where either of you live, be prepared to drive). Turns out he doesn't even live in Phoenix, he's just here often for work. So my preferences I clearly laid out in starting this program (I do NOT want a long distance relationship nor to date in other cities) drastically missed the ball here.

I was presented a match this week as my next date, the details started sounding familiar, then I had asked if my feedback from the last date was taken into consideration here. I want more of a macho man, alpha male (all I've gone on dates with are men I would definitely wear the pants with) and he told me, "well he's not arrogant, and he's a lawyer so I bet he can get aggressive" (how is that how you interpret that?). Bad answer, but I said to send it over and I'll look. But then the email comes, and it's someone I've already been on a date with and did not want to see again. Are you kidding?

I have so many negative experiences I could write about, but ultimately it comes down to the service having no value and the customer experience. The service has been awful, awful, awful and the dates haven't amounted to anyone I am interested in. This is a waste of my time and money, and truthfully, Tinder does a better job of matchmaking.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Kyra, we are so sorry to hear you are disappointed. We have forwarded your comments to the customer service department who will be contacting you.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I have had more dates through IJL than I have through the online match making website. They take all the difficulty out of trying to find someone and set up a first date. Please note, the match makers are not genies; they are limited to the dating pool. I find the lack of responses on the online dating services to be a significant deterrent to dating. Having a match maker set up the first date for me was amazing.

It's Just Lunch! response

We love what we do and as your matchmaking team, we enjoy taking the stress out of the dating process for you. Our goal is that all you have to do is show up and have fun! We look forward to your next fun first date.

Original review: July 19, 2022

IJL has a great model for finding that special someone. My first date this past Saturday turned into a 3 hour lunch that was the highlight of my weekend. They matched me with a successful woman who is articulate and a savvy business owner, these types are hard to find these days. We’ve been messaging since and I’m looking forward to spending more time with her! Thanks IJL!!

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy to hear you had a great date, hopefully the first of many more to come!

Original review: July 16, 2022

IJL has taken the work out of meeting new people. My matchmaker is amazing, it’s like talking to one of my best friends. She selects matches she thinks I would be interested in and sets up the dates. All I had to do is show up and have fun!! It’s been great!

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy to hear you are enjoying the experience and having fun! Happy dating!

Original review: July 13, 2022

I really enjoyed meeting Marie. A great date. Such a nice lady. I am not sure about the attraction, but, we are e going to go out again next week. Thankyou for setting up a date for me with Marie. I really enjoyed the date.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are happy to hear you and Marie had a great time on your first date. Thank you!

Original review: July 9, 2022

After a break, I decided to date again but I didn't like the online dating apps and the pandemic was not helping. Some friends suggested matchmaking services could work for someone like me who is looking for certain qualities so after a brief web search (should have done my homework better) I called IJL and they sold me a 24-date package (was the only choice I was given) for 4000$. She (Susan) asked me if 1-2 dates a month would work for me so I thought 24 dates can take 1-2 years which felt reasonable (I did not question why 24-dates package, I should have). I was very honest with what I was looking for and she told me that there were so many single men that fit the criteria, especially in my state/area.

I became a member in Jan 2021. It's been 1.5 years and I feel deceived. After the first few matches (disappointing even being very open-minded) I emailed them in March 2021 to ask for a refund because I thought based on the few months' experience what they promised me was not possible. No one from customer service contacted me. My matchmaker (Josephine) called me and told me to be patient etc. It's been 1.5 years, after several different matchmakers (changed without a reason to my knowledge), some more totally random matches (~ 6, some completely outside my specifications, declined all of them except one match in 2022) I emailed again a few weeks ago to ask for the rest of my money and no one contacted me. Terrible customer service. They are nice when they sell their unrealistic service to you but that's it.

If you are a 40+ woman with certain criteria, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. You might as well sign up for online dating apps. There is no matchmaking, they are mostly random matches, some of them worse than what you see in dating apps. The reality is that most men are looking for 15-20 years younger women and if you are looking for someone decent, close to your age/education/career/intelligence level, with similar life style, you will be disappointed. It takes a huge tall emotionally. IJL is not magic, they are sales people taking advantage of your vulnerability. I meet much better people in my own circles.

In terms of the experience with the three dates I was on (one virtual, two in person in 1.5 years), they were nice/respectful men. Just very different than what I am looking for, both physically and intellectually. I don't blame the matchmakers, I know I am selective and it is not easy to find someone who fits even the basic criteria. IJL shouldn't have sold me a 24-date package for 4000$. They either don't know what the reality is or they are lying to people like me. Either way, not good business!!

It's Just Lunch! response

We sincerely regret that your experience is not meeting your expectations. Your concerns are very important to us. We have forwarded your message to our customer service team who will reach out to you.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I joined IJL the first week of Feb. 2022 after speaking to Shilah and paid almost $3000 for a one year membership. My match-maker, Amy, contacted me and set up my profile. Amy is very personable and does her job well. She arranged my first date a couple of weeks later, but a few days before the date, she contacted me to say he cancelled. Several weeks later she arranged another date. That date was not a bad date, we did have a lot in common, but that's as far as it went. Then I didn't hear from Amy for 2months. When she finally did contact me, she sent me a photo of my possible next date, and I agreed to meet him.

When I got to the restaurant for lunch, this man looked NOTHING like his photo, he was sloppy and unkempt and was sprawling over in his chair with his legs hanging over the arm of the chair. During our lunch, he told me that he doesn't even have a membership with IJL - he NEVER PAID ONE PENNY TO BE A MEMBER!!! Needless to say, I was furious. I immediately called Amy and told her I wanted to cancel my membership and get a refund. Evidently, IJL feels they don't have to refund anything to anyone, but don't hesitate to misrepresent their company.

Even though it states "It’s Just Lunch is a paid matchmaking service. A typical membership costs between $2,000 and $4,000, depending on the member’s location, the number of dates a member wants to go on and other factors. There are no free memberships." that is definitely not the truth. And when I spoke to a manager about getting a refund, they refused to tell me how many men they had as members in my city. This is a total scam.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize that you are disappointed with your experience. Your concerns are very important to us. We forwarded your message to our customer service team who will reach out to you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: June 30, 2022

As opposed to swiping on a dating app on a cell phone, dating is much easier with a quick lunch or dinner meeting. More importantly, the staff at It's Just Lunch does a great job in finding the "right one". They do the particular research for each client in their matching process. That's important.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks Keith! Our team is hear to take the stress out of dating for you, we are glad to hear you are enjoying your experience. Happy dating!

Original review: June 30, 2022

I have been very impressed with the professionalism at IJL, particularly with Kevin with whom I've worked most closely. He is always upbeat and friendly, and he responds to any scheduling issues very quickly which is much appreciated. Actually, in all contacts, he responds quickly and professionally. He is a good listener, and takes feedback seriously and applies it to the next contact. Dating can be a touchy subject, and Kevin makes me feel very comfortable, like it is just a normal part of life, which, of course, it is. While he is friendly and approachable, he is also efficient and consistent. His word can be relied upon without question. He has truly made my interactions with IJL pleasant and easy. I wish interactions with other businesses were as customer focused and professional as those I've had with IJL, especially with Kevin.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your wonderful words! It means the world to us to know how much you are enjoying your experience.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Wonderful date!! We started with a nice dinner with appetizers. We found out commonalities like art, outdoor activities, music, singing, etc. After dinner she suggested we check out a live band at a local art gallery in Waikiki. They had great music, I made a few requests, we danced to a song, I bought her drinks and we walked around a bit exploring the other areas. We took selfies near trees with lights and held hands walking back to her car. She dropped me off at the hotel and I expressed I had a wonderful evening and gave her a good night kiss and hug. We exchanged numbers.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you so much for sharing this experience about your date! We will share this with our matchmaking team who will be ecstatic to read your review.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Many years ago IJL had local offices which the matchmakers were able to meet us in person. I truly feel this was a better way to do it. With COVID everything went on hold for obvious reasons. I have a new matchmaker Patricia who seems to be intuitive and good at her job. I have only had one date recently as last year I was dating someone and went on hold. Hopefully, it just takes one and my next date might be a perfect match.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you Mary! You are in great hands with Patricia and we look forward providing a positive dating experience!

Original review: June 28, 2022

I signed up with It's Just Lunch! because of a recommendation from a family member. Debra is my matchmaker, I really have enjoyed working with her. She’s a straight shooter. Tells you the way it is and I like that I know some people don’t but I do. She has set me up with some really good dates just unfortunately nothing has worked out yet. Debra has been great about communicating and I enjoy talking with her. She’s been very helpful.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your kind words! Having trust in your matchmaker and the process is so vital to the matchmaking experience. We look forward to scheduling your next date!

Original review: June 23, 2022

Please don't get into this trap. They bait you saying they have lot of matches. Once you take the subscription, no one answers your texts/calls/emails. I got a call from "Marlo" saying that there is youngster offer and they have lot of matches. While I was on call with Marlo, she asked my card number and we did the transaction. The transaction went through and that was the last communication. I was assigned match maker "Sarah". I got to know this through email. No response after that. They did not respond to my email/call/text. Stay away from IJL.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Vamsi, we deeply apologize for your dissatisfaction. We expedited your concerns to the customer service team and we see that your matchmaker has reached out to you. Please follow up with your matchmaker as she left a message for you.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Good follow-up and has listened well to my preferences. Has been a pleasure to work with. Other staff members have been hit or miss, other than Caroline, my intake person who was tremendous (and much better than the intake person I had when I first used IJL 6 years or so ago).

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so glad to hear that things are going well and you are enjoying your experience.

Resolution response: July 11, 2022

Thank you for your response. My matchmaker called and I feel much better - thank you! I think it was just a difference in initial expectations but we have aligned on those now and I am all good! Thank you!

Original review: June 21, 2022

When I get on the phone with my matchmaker, he is wonderful, very personable, doesn't make me feel rushed, and will talk to me about anything for any length of time. Outside of that, I don't hear anything, which doesn’t make it feel like the personal experience I expected. I was sold VERY hard and aggressively. I was sick after I inquired to learn more and the salesperson called me every single day even after letting her know multiple times that I would reach back out after I felt better. She kept on in a relentless way. She was nice but more much aggressive than I liked. I told myself that thankfully, she was the salesperson and not my matchmaker, so it would be better when I got past her.

One of the big selling points she repeated over and over was that all of the matchmakers are certified life coaches, and "we have a whole team that works for you." I haven’t dated much in the past, so the life coach point was one of my main deciding factors. Unfortunately, I haven’t felt any benefits of that “sale” yet. I don't doubt that my matchmaker and everyone behind the scenes is working VERY hard, but unfortunately, it is not the personal experience I expected, wanted, and hoped for.

When I got on the phone with my first matchmaker for the first time, I felt like I was on an assembly line, and she wasn’t trying to get to know me at all. Now I have another matchmaker and thankfully I don’t think he would make me feel that way. It is radio silence unless they reach out with a match. I got a reminder about the date 15mins before my first date. Thankfully I didn't need the reminder, but if I did, 15mins before definitely wouldn't have helped. I did not get a reminder before the second date. I do believe all of this is because my matchmaker (and likely the team) is probably overworked and have way too many clients they are responsible for. I do not put any of this on my matchmaker and believe he would be more attentive if he could.

I am thankful for our phone conversations and that I have him as a matchmaker now. It is possible that my expectations were/are too high when it comes to communication. I know I am not their only client. Maybe if the process was really explained to me more upfront (versus just thrown at me), I would have more appropriate expectations on when I should hear from them, etc. I don’t know if what I am experiencing as far as communication and such is “normal” for this process or not. All of that said, I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater because I really like my matchmaker and the two matches I’ve been on dates with so far have been good, so I am keeping with it. It is not all bad by any means. I am just mentioning all of this because I believe they have so much potential to help other people like me and I want them to be successful so we as clients are also successful in finding love.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Emily, thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed comments. We appreciate your feedback and want to let you know that we have shared your review with our team. We strive to provide all clients with a stellar experience and your honesty is very helpful.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Updated on 10/13/2022: Joined IJL in late April 2022 after becoming a recent widow. I immediately regretted spending the high cost of this service especially after realizing they did not have a local office in my area even though their advertising posted an address in Addison, Texas. First of all, false advertising at play here with that posting. It gave the appearance that I could go to that location and meet an employee in person. I called the next day after charging the cost $3,400 on a credit card. I was very distraught to find out that there was no way for any refund on any circumstances. So, I had no choice but to see what they could find in the way of prospects. It is obvious that they have a very limited clientele in my age range of 75.

The original recruiter who signed me up suggested that I do an age range of 70-80 even though I would not have personally chosen upwards of 75. When I kept complaining that I did not want to see profiles of 80 yrs. old men they informed me that was the range I chose and could not be changed. Then I found out that when you decline a prospect that it is considered against the 12 promised as the same as a date. They explained that they offer 12 prospects, and if I choose to have a date, then it is a date. This was a huge surprise to me. Again, very clever wording to allow them a loop hole to send 12 prospects and fulfill their end of the contract when a member declines the dates.

Since April, I have had three dates in the span of 7 months. 1st date (May) was unrecognizable compared to his out of date photo. He did not pick up the tab. 2nd date two months later (July) was not even a member and they pulled him out of the blue trying to recruit him and used me as an attractive member prospect to reel him in. He was extremely nice looking and very much a gentleman- 3rd & last date (Aug.5) not impressed with his attire; jeans, tennis shoes, for an upscale restaurant and first impression and I was dressed to the nines. I have sent dozens of emails to address my unhappiness with their services and requested a refund. I've been passed around to four different "dating coaches", last one hung up on me (Will) in the middle of my sentence and never called back to apologize or explain the disconnect.

To be fair to one, Cecily who was extremely pleasant and appeared to be genuinely actively seeking to find a good prospect for me. For seven months, I have begged them for mercy to refund my monies to no avail. I finally requested that they put my membership on pause, which of course translates that they no longer have to work on my profile or prospects and they keep my money till the end of time and never have to give me the time of day. I would never recommend IJL to anyone for the very reason, they office in Miami and everything is done via phone or emails vs. being able to meet a dating recruiter in person, face-to-face. And all their dating coaches work remotely from home and there is no upper management person to escalate serious issues regarding the services they promise to provide.

Original Review: Joined end of April and first profile submitted for May 1st, turned out to be not available after selecting date & time of meet-up. 2nd profile sent, a date for a meet up was selected and person (male) did not resemble photo. Would not have recognized him, except restaurant showed me to his table. My complaint is that they sent me a very old, not current photo of the man in a tuxedo. No real interest in a 2nd date. Had to wait one month to receive any potential matches. 2nd & 3rd attempts were 80 + yr. old men who I rejected. 4th attempt, profile sent, I chose after being persuaded, I selected dates/time for a meet up and was then informed that he was no longer available. Bingo!

So they have repeatedly send me unavailable profiles to choose. Why do they not do their homework first and know this before they present a profile. I have repeatedly asked for a refund of $3,000.00 minus $400 to cover May/June just to be nice. They do not return my calls or emails to address my issues. False advertising on website listing physical address in Addison, Tx. No front offices in US except, so called Miami office-yet to be discovered. After repeatedly requesting a refund - they are no longer presenting me with prospects but they have my $3,400.00. I've been waiting 7 days in June to receive any contact from them or profiles or status on my request for a refund.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize and are so disappointed to hear this. Your concerns are very important to us. We have expedited this matter to our customer service department who will contact you.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I worked with Debra when I decided to hire a matchmaker. Online dating was unpleasant and I decided to give It's Just Lunch a try. After my first date, I had another (per Debra’s advice) and am now dating my first match exclusively! I had actually declined the match, but Debra spoke honestly to me and I decided to out once more. She was right! She is a skilled matchmaker and goes with her gut! Best of luck!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your story and experience! It means the world to us to know what a difference It’s Just Lunch has made for you!

Original review: June 6, 2022

I would like to express how wonderful Debra was when I moved back to Rochester New York. She quickly responded to me and found me a match very quickly. I haven’t had that experience with It's Just Lunch. It was very refreshing! Unfortunately my first date had to cancel and she quickly found me a second date. I was very impressed how she kept in touch with me. I’m so sorry I had to move back to California so I no longer have her. I will miss her!

It's Just Lunch! response

What wonderful words you have shared about your matchmaker! Thank you! Your are in great hands with your new matchmaker and we are only a phone call away if you need anything.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information