3.9/5 (162 ratings)

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

It's Just Lunch! Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch!?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: July 13, 2022

I really enjoyed meeting Marie. A great date. Such a nice lady. I am not sure about the attraction, but, we are e going to go out again next week. Thankyou for setting up a date for me with Marie. I really enjoyed the date.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are happy to hear you and Marie had a great time on your first date. Thank you!

Original review: July 9, 2022

After a break, I decided to date again but I didn't like the online dating apps and the pandemic was not helping. Some friends suggested matchmaking services could work for someone like me who is looking for certain qualities so after a brief web search (should have done my homework better) I called IJL and they sold me a 24-date package (was the only choice I was given) for 4000$. She (Susan) asked me if 1-2 dates a month would work for me so I thought 24 dates can take 1-2 years which felt reasonable (I did not question why 24-dates package, I should have). I was very honest with what I was looking for and she told me that there were so many single men that fit the criteria, especially in my state/area.

I became a member in Jan 2021. It's been 1.5 years and I feel deceived. After the first few matches (disappointing even being very open-minded) I emailed them in March 2021 to ask for a refund because I thought based on the few months' experience what they promised me was not possible. No one from customer service contacted me. My matchmaker (Josephine) called me and told me to be patient etc. It's been 1.5 years, after several different matchmakers (changed without a reason to my knowledge), some more totally random matches (~ 6, some completely outside my specifications, declined all of them except one match in 2022) I emailed again a few weeks ago to ask for the rest of my money and no one contacted me. Terrible customer service. They are nice when they sell their unrealistic service to you but that's it.

If you are a 40+ woman with certain criteria, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. You might as well sign up for online dating apps. There is no matchmaking, they are mostly random matches, some of them worse than what you see in dating apps. The reality is that most men are looking for 15-20 years younger women and if you are looking for someone decent, close to your age/education/career/intelligence level, with similar life style, you will be disappointed. It takes a huge tall emotionally. IJL is not magic, they are sales people taking advantage of your vulnerability. I meet much better people in my own circles.

In terms of the experience with the three dates I was on (one virtual, two in person in 1.5 years), they were nice/respectful men. Just very different than what I am looking for, both physically and intellectually. I don't blame the matchmakers, I know I am selective and it is not easy to find someone who fits even the basic criteria. IJL shouldn't have sold me a 24-date package for 4000$. They either don't know what the reality is or they are lying to people like me. Either way, not good business!!

It's Just Lunch! response

We sincerely regret that your experience is not meeting your expectations. Your concerns are very important to us. We have forwarded your message to our customer service team who will reach out to you.

Original review: July 2, 2022

I joined IJL the first week of Feb. 2022 after speaking to Shilah and paid almost $3000 for a one year membership. My match-maker, Amy, contacted me and set up my profile. Amy is very personable and does her job well. She arranged my first date a couple of weeks later, but a few days before the date, she contacted me to say he cancelled. Several weeks later she arranged another date. That date was not a bad date, we did have a lot in common, but that's as far as it went. Then I didn't hear from Amy for 2months. When she finally did contact me, she sent me a photo of my possible next date, and I agreed to meet him.

When I got to the restaurant for lunch, this man looked NOTHING like his photo, he was sloppy and unkempt and was sprawling over in his chair with his legs hanging over the arm of the chair. During our lunch, he told me that he doesn't even have a membership with IJL - he NEVER PAID ONE PENNY TO BE A MEMBER!!! Needless to say, I was furious. I immediately called Amy and told her I wanted to cancel my membership and get a refund. Evidently, IJL feels they don't have to refund anything to anyone, but don't hesitate to misrepresent their company.

Even though it states "It’s Just Lunch is a paid matchmaking service. A typical membership costs between $2,000 and $4,000, depending on the member’s location, the number of dates a member wants to go on and other factors. There are no free memberships." that is definitely not the truth. And when I spoke to a manager about getting a refund, they refused to tell me how many men they had as members in my city. This is a total scam.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize that you are disappointed with your experience. Your concerns are very important to us. We forwarded your message to our customer service team who will reach out to you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: July 1, 2022

After reading some reviews and understanding that you need to be as descriptive as possible in order for them to find the most appropriate or desirable match, I signed up with IJL. While their fees are not nominal, it gave me the confidence that anyone signed up was more serious about finding the right person. I also didn't want any part of my profile publicly available, and discretion and privacy was taken very seriously by them. When I entered my information initially, I received a call the following business day. In the first conversation, they spent an hour understanding who I am and what my ideal vision of a person and relationship is, and got an understanding about my short and longer term relationship goals.

Less than 48 hours after the initial sign up conversation, my assigned representative Jorge contacted me, and got some more information from me. We met on a video call so he could get to know me more, and in less than a month he set up a meeting with someone I would never have dreamed of finding any other way. Today, we are both committed to understanding each other more to see where it goes, and the future looks bright at this point. But, my hat is off to the treatment and quality of people within their portfolio of clients. Not meaning to attach a monetary value to their service and expertise, but if I had known who I would end up dating, I would have paid ten times more and not even thought twice about it! Well done IJL and thank you Jorge!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for all of this amazing feedback. We can't wait to hear how things go with your date!

Original review: June 30, 2022

As opposed to swiping on a dating app on a cell phone, dating is much easier with a quick lunch or dinner meeting. More importantly, the staff at It's Just Lunch does a great job in finding the "right one". They do the particular research for each client in their matching process. That's important.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks Keith! Our team is hear to take the stress out of dating for you, we are glad to hear you are enjoying your experience. Happy dating!

Original review: June 30, 2022

I have been very impressed with the professionalism at IJL, particularly with Kevin with whom I've worked most closely. He is always upbeat and friendly, and he responds to any scheduling issues very quickly which is much appreciated. Actually, in all contacts, he responds quickly and professionally. He is a good listener, and takes feedback seriously and applies it to the next contact. Dating can be a touchy subject, and Kevin makes me feel very comfortable, like it is just a normal part of life, which, of course, it is. While he is friendly and approachable, he is also efficient and consistent. His word can be relied upon without question. He has truly made my interactions with IJL pleasant and easy. I wish interactions with other businesses were as customer focused and professional as those I've had with IJL, especially with Kevin.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your wonderful words! It means the world to us to know how much you are enjoying your experience.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Wonderful date!! We started with a nice dinner with appetizers. We found out commonalities like art, outdoor activities, music, singing, etc. After dinner she suggested we check out a live band at a local art gallery in Waikiki. They had great music, I made a few requests, we danced to a song, I bought her drinks and we walked around a bit exploring the other areas. We took selfies near trees with lights and held hands walking back to her car. She dropped me off at the hotel and I expressed I had a wonderful evening and gave her a good night kiss and hug. We exchanged numbers.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you so much for sharing this experience about your date! We will share this with our matchmaking team who will be ecstatic to read your review.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Many years ago IJL had local offices which the matchmakers were able to meet us in person. I truly feel this was a better way to do it. With COVID everything went on hold for obvious reasons. I have a new matchmaker Patricia who seems to be intuitive and good at her job. I have only had one date recently as last year I was dating someone and went on hold. Hopefully, it just takes one and my next date might be a perfect match.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you Mary! You are in great hands with Patricia and we look forward providing a positive dating experience!

Original review: June 28, 2022

I signed up with It's Just Lunch! because of a recommendation from a family member. Debra is my matchmaker, I really have enjoyed working with her. She’s a straight shooter. Tells you the way it is and I like that I know some people don’t but I do. She has set me up with some really good dates just unfortunately nothing has worked out yet. Debra has been great about communicating and I enjoy talking with her. She’s been very helpful.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your kind words! Having trust in your matchmaker and the process is so vital to the matchmaking experience. We look forward to scheduling your next date!

Original review: June 23, 2022

Please don't get into this trap. They bait you saying they have lot of matches. Once you take the subscription, no one answers your texts/calls/emails. I got a call from "Marlo" saying that there is youngster offer and they have lot of matches. While I was on call with Marlo, she asked my card number and we did the transaction. The transaction went through and that was the last communication. I was assigned match maker "Sarah". I got to know this through email. No response after that. They did not respond to my email/call/text. Stay away from IJL.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Vamsi, we deeply apologize for your dissatisfaction. We expedited your concerns to the customer service team and we see that your matchmaker has reached out to you. Please follow up with your matchmaker as she left a message for you.

Original review: June 21, 2022

Good follow-up and has listened well to my preferences. Has been a pleasure to work with. Other staff members have been hit or miss, other than Caroline, my intake person who was tremendous (and much better than the intake person I had when I first used IJL 6 years or so ago).

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so glad to hear that things are going well and you are enjoying your experience.

Resolution response: July 11, 2022

Thank you for your response. My matchmaker called and I feel much better - thank you! I think it was just a difference in initial expectations but we have aligned on those now and I am all good! Thank you!

Original review: June 21, 2022

When I get on the phone with my matchmaker, he is wonderful, very personable, doesn't make me feel rushed, and will talk to me about anything for any length of time. Outside of that, I don't hear anything, which doesn’t make it feel like the personal experience I expected. I was sold VERY hard and aggressively. I was sick after I inquired to learn more and the salesperson called me every single day even after letting her know multiple times that I would reach back out after I felt better. She kept on in a relentless way. She was nice but more much aggressive than I liked. I told myself that thankfully, she was the salesperson and not my matchmaker, so it would be better when I got past her.

One of the big selling points she repeated over and over was that all of the matchmakers are certified life coaches, and "we have a whole team that works for you." I haven’t dated much in the past, so the life coach point was one of my main deciding factors. Unfortunately, I haven’t felt any benefits of that “sale” yet. I don't doubt that my matchmaker and everyone behind the scenes is working VERY hard, but unfortunately, it is not the personal experience I expected, wanted, and hoped for.

When I got on the phone with my first matchmaker for the first time, I felt like I was on an assembly line, and she wasn’t trying to get to know me at all. Now I have another matchmaker and thankfully I don’t think he would make me feel that way. It is radio silence unless they reach out with a match. I got a reminder about the date 15mins before my first date. Thankfully I didn't need the reminder, but if I did, 15mins before definitely wouldn't have helped. I did not get a reminder before the second date. I do believe all of this is because my matchmaker (and likely the team) is probably overworked and have way too many clients they are responsible for. I do not put any of this on my matchmaker and believe he would be more attentive if he could.

I am thankful for our phone conversations and that I have him as a matchmaker now. It is possible that my expectations were/are too high when it comes to communication. I know I am not their only client. Maybe if the process was really explained to me more upfront (versus just thrown at me), I would have more appropriate expectations on when I should hear from them, etc. I don’t know if what I am experiencing as far as communication and such is “normal” for this process or not. All of that said, I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater because I really like my matchmaker and the two matches I’ve been on dates with so far have been good, so I am keeping with it. It is not all bad by any means. I am just mentioning all of this because I believe they have so much potential to help other people like me and I want them to be successful so we as clients are also successful in finding love.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Emily, thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed comments. We appreciate your feedback and want to let you know that we have shared your review with our team. We strive to provide all clients with a stellar experience and your honesty is very helpful.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Joined end of April and first profile submitted for May 1st, turned out to be not available after selecting date & time of meet-up. 2nd profile sent, a date for a meet up was selected and person (male) did not resemble photo. Would not have recognized him, except restaurant showed me to his table. My complaint is that they sent me a very old, not current photo of the man in a tuxedo. No real interest in a 2nd date. Had to wait one month to receive any potential matches. 2nd & 3rd attempts were 80 + yr. old men who I rejected. 4th attempt, profile sent, I chose after being persuaded, I selected dates/time for a meet up and was then informed that he was no longer available. Bingo!

So they have repeatedly send me unavailable profiles to choose. Why do they not do their homework first and know this before they present a profile. I have repeatedly asked for a refund of $3,000.00 minus $400 to cover May/June just to be nice. They do not return my calls or emails to address my issues. False advertising on website listing physical address in Addison, Tx. No front offices in US except, so called Miami office-yet to be discovered. After repeatedly requesting a refund - they are no longer presenting me with prospects but they have my $3,400.00. I've been waiting 7 days in June to receive any contact from them or profiles or status on my request for a refund.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize and are so disappointed to hear this. Your concerns are very important to us. We have expedited this matter to our customer service department who will contact you.

Original review: June 7, 2022

This is my second time, as an active member, and I did it a second time because my first experience was very professional and fun. Unfortunately, the first round did not result in a match. I just began my second active membership with the company/It’s Just Lunch and I am hoping things will turn out better and I will find a good romantic match; and if not a friend, acquaintance at the very least. At this time, the company has changed some of its initial procedures/policies and they, in my opinion, are not as specific/detailed as they were when I initially dated via the company. I am hoping this will not lead to another unsuccessful dating experience. I am disappointed that the company no longer has an office in the geographic area I live in. I have only been working with my current Matchmaker for a short period of time, but he seems competent, professional, and knowledgeable. I hope his experience and expertise will result in a successful match for me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Alisha, thank you for your continued trust in It's Just Lunch. Please rest assured that your matchaking team is focused on providing you with a posivive dating experience. We look forward to receiving your feedback after your upcoming date. Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservice@ijlcorp.com if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I worked with Debra when I decided to hire a matchmaker. Online dating was unpleasant and I decided to give It's Just Lunch a try. After my first date, I had another (per Debra’s advice) and am now dating my first match exclusively! I had actually declined the match, but Debra spoke honestly to me and I decided to out once more. She was right! She is a skilled matchmaker and goes with her gut! Best of luck!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your story and experience! It means the world to us to know what a difference It’s Just Lunch has made for you!

Original review: June 6, 2022

I would like to express how wonderful Debra was when I moved back to Rochester New York. She quickly responded to me and found me a match very quickly. I haven’t had that experience with It's Just Lunch. It was very refreshing! Unfortunately my first date had to cancel and she quickly found me a second date. I was very impressed how she kept in touch with me. I’m so sorry I had to move back to California so I no longer have her. I will miss her!

It's Just Lunch! response

What wonderful words you have shared about your matchmaker! Thank you! Your are in great hands with your new matchmaker and we are only a phone call away if you need anything.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Debra has been absolutely awesome. She is always will to listen and is extremely detailed in her explanations of the rules of engagement and on dates. I feel comfortable confiding in Debra where there may have been issues on dates and she is always will to provide coaching and mentoring. I recognize that the dating process can be difficult, but Debra does everything that she can to make the process as simple as possible and effective.

It's Just Lunch! response

Pamela, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your trust and receptiveness to your martchmaker is so vital to your dating journey and we are so happy to share your review with our team.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My matchmaker Hazel is wonderful. She’s always on top of things, checking in weekly and seeing if I need anything or talk about anything. And she knows what I’m looking for in a match. I would highly recommend her for potential clients. Thank you

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It means so much when our client share their experiences with us.

Original review: May 28, 2022

She understands my needs and she takes the time to listen to me. She really wants me to have a connection with her so she could find the best match for me. I have been with 3 different match specialist and she is the only one who tries to help me. she may be the one that makes me change my mind about this service... So far is being poor service.

It's Just Lunch! response

Claraines, we are so happy to hear that things have turned around for you! We are committed to providing outstanding customer service to our clients and are thrilled to receive this feedback.

Original review: May 26, 2022

I’d like to say all good things about It's Just Lunch but unfortunately I cannot due to since I joined It's Just Lunch I’ve had multiple over 5 or more match makers and they literally leave abruptly without any warning. This poses a problem because if I am in the middle of working with a match maker and they suddenly leave then I have to start all over with a new one and they leave etc, this is definitely an issue. Additionally it takes way too long per match like sometimes half a year or so. Even if I do get a match they plainly are not compatible. I remember one of my matches was rude and simply got up and left after being very disrespectful. Another match I found out was doing both wrong and possibly illegal things behind my back etc. Bottom line if IJL doesn’t do better I will definitely discontinue my services and never ever recommend them.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize that you are disappointed with your experience. Your concerns are very important to us. We forwarded your message to our customer service team and are glad you spoke with your matchmaker. Please do not hesitate to contact your matchmaker directly or IJL at customerservice@ijlcorp.com with any future questions or comments you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 19, 2022

When my earlier IJL membership expired, I had no intentions of renewal. My past experience have be someone of a disappointment with the appearance one takes on the membership, after being oversold on expectations, thereafter you never speak to the same person; certainly not the sales person who convinces you to take on the membership. Joanne M has presented herself otherwise, was sincere and she has taken on the role of being my primary contact in a manner exactly as she had promised. She has always been sincere, is dedicated and honest, and always responds to me in a timely manner.

In instances where I should do something different to improve results or expectations, then I hear of that from her as well. I have high expectations of my forthcoming date with Sandy on 04 May, and believe Joanne has really tried hard in finding this latest selection. If not Sandy, then I have no doubt Joanne will try just as hard for finding my next date. David

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that your prior membership did not meet your expectations and we truly appreciate you placing your trust in IJL again. Our team strives to meet our clients' expectations and we are so glad that your matchmaker has turned your experience into a positive one!

Original review: May 17, 2022

I love working with Joanne! She really cares about her clients and has such an upbeat personality. She always seems to find the best match and if it doesn't work out, she always welcomes the feedback to find a better match.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to share your comments! It always makes our day to hear about our clients' wonderful experiences with IJL.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I've only been on one date but he was very nice and I felt like the match was a good one. I have another one coming up and I'm looking forward to it. I like Hazel she really seems to care about making sure she gets someone that's a good match for me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Roxanne, thank you so much for your review. You are in great hands with your matchmaker and we cannot wait to hear your feedback on your next date!

Original review: May 13, 2022

Sarah has been a delight to work with. She takes her job seriously and is a very gifted professional at pairing people up. I would highly recommend It’s Just Lunch to all who are looking for that someone special in their life.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy you are having a fantastic time dating with us! We love being able to do what we do best and we are very thankful for amazing clients like you.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Prior to Hazel... Before I became LUXE... I definitely would not have recommended IJL... My matches were not at all right for me. But working with Hazel, and having the increased personal service, has changed the dynamics and service to a much more positive and hopeful experience. She is a delightful person and has taken the time to really try to understand who I am and what I'm looking for. I finally feel as if we are on track..., and God willing, we'll find that match. :) :)

It's Just Lunch! response

We’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Your honesty is highly appreciated. We are glad things are on track for you and we look forward to providing a positive dating experience.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Joanne is the best matchmaker. She's caring, attentive, and works to make you the happiest possible. Can't say enough good things about her! IJL as a whole has been a great experience because of her efforts.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience! We so appreciate knowing what a difference It’s Just Lunch is making for you!

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have thoroughly enjoyed working with my matchmaker, Samantha. She really has taken the time to get to know me and has good instincts about the kind of woman I am looking for. She’s always been friendly and 100 percent supportive during this process.

It's Just Lunch! response

What a terrific review! Our matchmakers are passionate about what they do and the work they do for their clients and we are so grateful for having the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have had some really interesting dates with people I would have never have picked for me. I always feel safe on my dates and enjoy them, even if they won’t have long term potential. My matchmaker listens and guides the next date to fill more of my needs.

It's Just Lunch! response

We are so happy you are enjoying your dating journey. Your trust in your matchmaker and the IJL process means the world to us!

Original review: May 10, 2022

Joel took the time to understand my preferences and did a thorough vetting of potential matches, He was always available when I called and was responsive to my preferences and available to answer questions about the process. Joel is client centric and an asset to the team.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for the kind words! Our customer service team goes above and beyond to provide a personalized experience for our clients and it’s wonderful you shared such a great review.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Joel is a great Matchmaker. I was very clear what I wanted in a match. I don’t like my time wasted. The next match he made was pretty much spot on of what I asked. I had a great time! I continue to look forward working with Joel.

It's Just Lunch! response

It’s lovely to hear your positive feedback! Thank you. We strive to provide the best possible experience and cannot wait to share your comments with our matchmaking team.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information