Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Wells Fargo Credit Cards
3.01/5

Wells Fargo Credit Cards

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

154 Wells Fargo Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2019

Wells Fargo allowed some hacker to submit my info for a credit card application and got approved for $10k credit line. I get hackers will do this but this bank never once called to confirm any of the information considering I don't bank there all all, ever in my life. When I called to report the fraud, they questioned me as if they didn't believe who I was but they sure as heck believed the hacker. I tried to get more information from them but the CSR said he is not able to verify my mailing address or phone number with me and that I must tell him that information in order to move on with the claim. Do you know how frustrating that is????

They allowed this to happen then questioned my integrity. Never apologized about letting it happen but proceeded to tell me I should watch my mouth because I am on a recorded line. I proceeded to tell them that this should be recorded so you can hear how angry I am that your company let this happen. They were of no help and spoke to me as if I was the thief. In the end they said someone would call me back within 24-48 hours to discuss.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have a credit card with Wells Fargo. I did not use the card and had a zero balance. Wells Fargo charged me a $25 inactivity fee. Really??? Seriously? They charged me $25 for absolutely NOTHING!!! When I tried to get the $25 charge removed they made it impossible by asking one security question after another. Now I have to go into a branch and have the charge removed. I will be closing my accounts with Wells Fargo. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WELLS FARGO!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I opened a secured credit card with $500 with the understanding that it will be upgraded to an unsecured credit card in a few months. I paid the card on time. After two consecutive years, W/F failed to upgrade my card to an unsecured card; they keep telling me that I have to wait for a few months. At this point I called the bank and asked to close the account. The bank rep got irritated after I asked her to mail me the money left on the account. She added that I will never get a credit account with Wells Fargo. Now I have 13 credit cards including AMEX. My FICO is 809. Three years after this incident, I heard on the news that some Wells Fargo employees were involved in fraud. I will not recommend Wells Fargo bank to anyone.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I opened an account with a $12000 line of credit. I have never missed a payment. My credit score is between 716 and 720. WF reduced my credit line to the amount outstanding with no prior notification. This reduced my credit score by 20 points. The reasons given do not reflect any info in any of the credit agencies. This problem needs to be addressed since it is affecting all my other credit profiles. I have been transferred to every level of your customer service with no success.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Let me start by saying that I have banked with Wells Fargo for over 15 years, ever since one of my friends who got a job there as a teller forced me to open an account here. Everything was well for a while, but nothing special about this bank. The services at branches are mediocre, some better than the others, but bearable. My main complaint is that the customer services reps are inconsistent in giving information, it is different every time I call.

I'm currently going through some financial issues and called the bank back in December to find out what my options are in terms of assistance programs. The very first representative was nice and said they can assist me by lowering my interest rate and waiving some fees - NO MENTION OF THE NEED TO close my account to do that. Unfortunately, of course her system was down so she said call the next day. When I called the next day, I was told to call collections because I guess when you tell them you have financial problems you have to deal with collections who are not even Wells Fargo. Why? I made all my payments on time, I am just asking for temporary relief. This rep told me the only way to assist me is to close my account which is what I didn't want to do, because I believe I can pay these stupid cards off if I just have 6 months without their insane fees. I gave up.

Called this stupid bank at least 3 more times to ask for help. TEMPORARY help, until at some point a rep couldn't handle it anymore and said "Lady, this is how banks make money on fees! There is nothing we can do for you, unless you close accounts." Jeez, that's very comforting. Anyway, I understand my problems are my problems, but honestly I'd stay away from this bank as far as I can, unless you know for sure you won't have any financial difficulties in the future. Which most people do - it's life!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: March 25, 2019

This is the WORST credit card that I ever had. They skip statement by NOT sending it to you, once the reward point is near redeem limit for $25.00, even though there were purchases made with the card, Wells Fargo stopped adding those rewards points into your account (this is illegitimate, as there were purchases on the card, they are supposed to add those points on to the account, while they did NOT do so as your rewards points is closed to redeem limit of $25, so that they do NOT need to issue the redemption!). What a scam it is. This is the WORST ever credit card ever used!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My true rating is 0 star but won't let me!!! Very new to WF credit card. Just wanted to share my experience because if I had known this earlier, I would have made better arrangement with my fund. Last Friday (2/22) I made a payment to my WF credit card balance from non WF checking account and on Saturday the fund was already credited to my card. (I thought payment process was amazingly fast!) But as of today (2/27), available credit is showing "zero." I didn't think too much of it and just thought an error so I called customer service to report the error. Expected a quick call but nope I spent an hour instead!

Still can't believe because I was told my payment is on hold for "verification." The rep further explained the fund won't be available until 3/11. (What?) I told the fund was already cleared from other bank on 2/25 and it's posted even on WF. (But not giving me the credit available to use???) Simply replied it's their "policy" when a fund came from non WF account then they have "criteria" to put a hold! No such notification popped to warn me prior to using non WF account for the payment. In fact, this was 3rd payment (all made from non WF account) I have made and last two payments was not subject to such 2 weeks processing window. The rep said current payment was WAY more ($500 difference) than previous two payments and that's why it takes while... I mean I lost a word.

After received the credit card payment from my other bank, holding significant amount of paycheck for 2 weeks for verification is not justified to me. Now I don't have access to my $1000... Neither the checking account nor the credit card. I hope WF realized I have other expense to pay! The customer rep said to me this is very unfortunate. Ha.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had a Wells Fargo credit card but it was closed by Wells Fargo after filing a consumer complaint and continued calls. Thus, I received money in a class action lawsuit regarding this company with similar complaints. Two in fact. Today I am near completion paying off my card. I am unable to access my account online, do not receive paper bills, therefore do not have my credit account number. I have no way of obtaining this.

I called Wells Fargo to access online. I received a temporary password and did succeed in accessing my account, and changed my password. I returned to my account today and once again, my account is suspended for unknown reasons. Once again I have to call but cannot get through because I do not have an account number. I can't even write Wells Fargo because EVERYTHING I do requires an account number. My account has been closed for over 3 years.

Wells Fargo doesn't think ahead, nor plan for such circumstances.

I will never ever choose this bank due to their class actions suits, their history of problems and reputation. They need to be closed and clearly unable to support the services needed for their clients. I will need to travel 45 minutes away to pay my account and just hope that I will be able to pay without an account number. This bank frustrates me to the max.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

During a credit card dispute, Wells Fargo missed the deadline to submit documents on my behalf while arbitrating with a merchant who was charging me a 30% restocking fee for returned merchandise that came defective and not what was promised. Wells Fargo refunded me $0 of the $1800 during the chargeback for the returned merchandise, but acknowledged the merchant owed me money. I took the merchant to small claims court and during the court hearing I was given copies of arbitration documents. Noting there was no “arbitration ruling” document, I called the Dispute Resolution Department where I learned in great detail about Wells Fargo’s missed deadline which caused the merchant to win by forfeit.

The pre arbitration papers clearly state the merchant admitted the merchandise was defective upon return and therefore her policy of a restocking fee did not apply, but I received $0 refund from Wells Fargo. I had charged the $1800 downpayment for this merchandise on my PNC card and after disputing the same transaction, I was refunded the entire amount of $1800. When I approached Wells Fargo with the documents, they say they can’t do anything because the case is closed. Wells Fargo failed to do their job and I paid for their mistake. I have been a bank customer for many years and I’m so disappointed with the dishonest way they have handled my situation.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I just received my credit card from Wells Fargo with 3000 dollars credit limit. After I spent 2400, they lock the account and I cannot use the credit card any longer. Even though I made a payment but still they didn't remove the account lock. When I was trying to cancel the card, they didn't want to cancel. I had enough and no more credit card from Wells Fargo because they don't know how to treat their customer.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

On November 1st 2018 it became apparent my identity had been stolen after I received a several calls from financial institutions wanting to verify I had applied for credit with them. I pulled my credit report and worked my way down the list of inquiries notifying each and every one of them I had NOT applied for credit with them. All the companies (around 12) EXCEPT Wells Fargo were able to determine my claim of fraud was true and closed the accounts. To this day, 8 to 10 weeks later, Wells Fargo still has NOT closed the account and even allowed activity on the account AFTER they were notified it was fraudulent. I have sent them two letters, copies of utilities bills, police report, FTC report, my DL and several letters from the other institutions to prove the account was fraudulent and yet as of today it is still open!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

WELLS FARGO CARD FOR FURNITURE FAIR - First of all I put taxes, shipping was paid out of pocket. I waited a month for a bill statement. A month and 3 payments later I realized the bank account I had on my bill was on to get off. I called them and told them to refund the random person's money and bill me correctly. ($305) 3 calls later and an hour of waiting on hold I was told they can't do that. I said, "It's fraud you are going to do that." When the supervisor talks to me they inform me that they will fix. They figure out a way to fix it and take the wrong account info off. I go to pay $369 out of my account. They did not take the other person's information off. I accidentally did it again to these poor people. I catch it, call them. They say, "Don't worry. It's off," and will not charge them.

The next day I'm charged twice for the one transaction I've made for my own. I call to tell them to remove the extra transaction I didn't make. They say it can take 10 business days. 5 days later $369 is put back. 2 days later $369 is taken out again. I talk to Wells Fargo again. This time I'm told policy is to pull the money 3 times regardless. They even hung up on me this time. I call back on lunch. A lady reversed the payment again. She says it will not pull a 3rd time. At this point I have left half my paycheck in my account to bite the bullet and pay it all off within 2 weeks. Wells Fargo is by far the worst bank I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I ran late on my September payment and went online to make the payment on September 25th. The online system told me what was due and I paid it. I got my payment email the next day to pay the amount I had just paid by October 20. I realized I had not only paid September but also October. The statement was through September 25th.

I tried to log on for November and had forgotten my password and couldn't find my account number to reset it. I call customer service so I can reset it to find out the applied the payment I made in September as extra payment for that month and I am being recharged for October and have a late fee. They refuse to correct this. The also reported a late or missed payment to the credit bureau. I am so pissed.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Overall not a great experience. Unlike American Express they are not Customer friendly. Save yourself the time energy and headache and use a brand and a card that will side with customers when there is a merchant processing error. If I could give less than 1 star I would. I will write as many negative reviews as I can to help others be aware. There is just hands down no comparison to the 5 star customer service of American Express.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Card benefits in regards to stolen phone are nonexistent. Multiple people will review your claim and not tell you the same thing. They will ultimately find the loophole (I was in Germany so my last statement was paid by a relative) which will make it invalid. I would have appreciated if on my FIRST of about 5 conversations (and multiple emails) they would have just been transparent and saved my submission of documents on multiple occasions and 2 additional trips to the Sprint store. Literally over 5 hours in total wasted for NOTHING. So disappointed. I have banked here for years and invested a lot. Consider a new bank! You are only a valued customer if you benefit them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

The amount of aggravation involved in keeping an account with these morons is unacceptable and unbelievable. The blocked charges claimed to be for my protection have repeatedly caused me problem after problem and cost me ultimately. They are always wrong and or incapable of resolving my issues related to the blocked transactions or otherwise. I have talked to numerous employees and have yet to get a satisfactory resolution over years of being patient. I’m done forever with these jokers.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

In order to rebuild my credit, I chose to open a Secured Credit Card. Wells Fargo was the best choice for me, with a minimum collateral payment of $300. I opened the card a year ago, paid in full and on time every month, and the Wells Fargo payment is always debited from my checking account a few hours later without issue. Yet it takes Wells Fargo a full week to allow my credit limit to return.

Furthermore, when I attempted to increase my collateral by $1200, in order to bring my credit limit to $1500, it took Wells Fargo a full 10 days to even acknowledge that they received my payment. I was then denied without as much as an explanation. So much for my attempts to rebuild my credit with Wells Fargo, and so much for Wells Fargo attempts to rebuild their public trust after the series of scandals that have plagued them. My advice is to not walk, but run from Wells Fargo. They don't deserve your business.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Personally would not bank with Wells Fargo if it wasn’t for the fact that Bob’s Furniture directly uses them to open their credit card lines. What they DON’T mention to you clearly is there is no type of grace period for your late payment. Late charge is assessed one day after payment is not made on the due date. Also when requesting for a one time courtesy fee waiver (mind you I’ve paid every bill on time and facing a temporary hardship being a new mother with a sick baby) they refused and claimed they are unable to do so because apparently you have to ask for a late charge waiver within 7 days with a payment. In addition to that, to get transferred to a supervisor to be told it’s not 7 days but 4-5 days. No wonder there’s so many bad reviews about this place! Absolutely no customer service excellence experienced whatsoever. Can’t wait to pay this thing off and close my account.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Hello, I've been a customer for Wells Fargo bank for a few years now. Although, I stayed after hearing how they were opening unauthorized credit cards accounts to bring up their numbers. I've been a loyal customer but as it turns out, you are just another number to them. So here my experience with Wells Fargo bank. Yesterday, my account went overdraft for an online purchase for the amount of $-4.65 in the morning or something like that and I was $35 and then another one for $11.79 with another $35 in fees.

Now, If I already was negative, why would a bank approved another transaction? the answer is easy, to take your money legally without you complaining. Another issue is their website so it doesn't show your actual balance. I have a business account and two other personal checking accounts with them (which I'll probably close soon). I feel as a customer for any bank, we should be allowed a grace period for any transaction that goes into our accounts that has not enough funds. The bank should allow us to place the funds within a reasonable time period or pull from another account. Anyhow, it is just another way of ripping us off money (legally) for them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Be very careful with this"Friendly Bank", want overdraft protection you will get a credit card. Want a line of credit you will get another credit card and get charged $150 a year for it. Want to get charged extra for depositing cash, this is your bank. They will also let you withdraw more money than is in your account and not say a word, is that so they can charge your credit card and collect a fee, $20 plus interest on the card. This may not be all Wells Fargo banks but it is mine and as one teller told me I don't make the rules. Tried to close this account, but now a charge has been added to my zero balance so I can't close it until I pay that as well and wait 4 days for it to post. Waiting for the next fee to show up before the 4 days are up.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We called and asked for a card for my husband on my account but they opened a new acct in his name unbeknownst to us. We received the card and used it on vacation. I paid off my card assuming it was taken care of then we received a past due notice so I called them and they said we were all paid off. Then I received a 60 days past notice and called again. This time the representative asked for the acct number and we discovered what they had done. We paid it off immediately but my husband's credit shows a past 60 days and the card closed by the creditor. They refuse to correct his credit

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The customer service is horrible...they claim you can sign up for notifications but you NEVER get notifications. Account goes negative, card gets blocked and they charge you fees for Everything. Do not choose this bank! Better off with a credit union or Bank of America.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I would not recommend this bank. There is no customer loyalty. I was a customer from 2013-2018. For approximately 5 years I never missed a payment. After I suddenly lost my job, I was unable to make payments for a period of three months. I made a good faith payment and openly communicated with Wells Fargo about my situation. Immediately after finding another job I told them when they could expect payment. The day before payday (which is when I told them they could expect the payment) they permanently closed my account. I was told by a customer service representative that when the account was current I could call back to get it reopened. I did so and was told by a manager, Jennifer, that there was no way to re-open an account that was closed due to delinquency. They would not reopen the account.

I understand I missed payments. But I was a loyal and on-time customer for FIVE YEARS. I told them exactly what was happening and continued to answer their calls even when they called up to five times per day (including Sundays and early mornings). They were not willing to work with me despite my on-time history, intent to pay, good faith payment, and loyalty. Conversely, my other credit card providers: Chase, Citi, Barclays did work with me and took into account my on-time payment history. I will soon be closing my checking account with Wells Fargo and moving to a bank that treats its loyal customers like human beings instead of liabilities. WF you have lost a valuable customer.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Wells Fargo Bank trying use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. (1) They are putting false information on my credit report. (2) They do not have wet ink signature that sign contract with them to open up a credit card. (3) They claim that it was charge off. If the account is charge off, then there should be no balance because they got money from taxes and also charge off debt is worthless and no long able to collect. (4) The state of limitation have pass and they still are trying to collect. (5) I send a request for debt validation and unable to give me proper debt validation. (6) They are trying overcharge me fee.

I feel that Wells Fargo Bank is trying to take advantage of me because I ** male. I feel that discrimination is wrong. I am willing to pay off the debt that you claim I owe if you are will to provide me with the original contract I sign with ink signature. I will have expert document look at contract. Wells Fargo Bank refused to pick a date for us meet in person and have expert document look at the original contract. They still put false information on my credit report, which I think is wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Nothing but problems. I applied for a line of credit at my Dentist's office so I could have dental work done. I also have an HSA funded through my employer, who makes quarterly contributions. I was told at the dentist that I could apply, and when the money was available in my HSC, then make the payment. It is a good idea in theory. A few days later my dentist called to say my application was denied and I had to call them to find out why. When I did - we found out that the SS # was incorrect on the application. The weirdest part is, someone at Wells Fargo somehow linked up my application to my husband's information, who had an account YEARS ago, and they used his SS #. Once they corrected the application, I was approved. Then, it gets worse...

Terrible "rules" for making payments and terrible customer service. The 2nd problem was, Wells Fargo would not allow me to make my full payment over the phone with my HSA MasterCard. They told me the only way was for me to pay the bill was to write a personal check out of my regular bank account, and then submit a form to my HSA company asking for reimbursement, which can take a few weeks to process and receive. I spoke to 5 different people at Wells Fargo to try to understand why they wont take an HSA card... All they could tell me was it was against their policy. I then requested for them to let it go into collections, because I'm sure a collection agency will accept my MasterCard. I'd NEVER apply for anything Wells Fargo ever again.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have applied their credit card twice in 2 years and each time they declined to approve 727 credit score. I spoke to the representative and what I understood that having a 1 negative item for few hundred bucks means everything for them and they care less of excellent credit score. Please don’t apply and place hard inquiry in your credit report. On the same time I have applied for American Express and instantly I was approved for $5000.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought a refrigerator from Sears which we cancelled two hours later and never left the store. Five months later have still not received a refund of $2800. We disputed the charge with Wells Fargo and they refused to do anything stating that just because we never got the refrigerator does not constitute fraud. Go figure. Bottom line is not to use a bank card to purchase anything.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I called up the Wells Fargo Visa Credit Card Customer Service Phone Number of: 1-800 642-4720 because I needed to Dispute a Charge for Only $1.25. The first time I called was yesterday back on Saturday, June 2, 2018 and was on hold for at least eight (8) minutes with nobody picking up the line. I got so angry and frustrated and hung up the phone and then I called back for the second (2nd) time! On my second (2nd) phone call, one of the first things that I heard was a voice recorded message stating that the horrible wait time will be well over (10) minutes long. Can you believe it? A billion dollar company can NOT afford to hire more representatives to handle supposedly the high volume of call! Ridiculous!

Please NOTE: I never have to go through the same experience with Chase Bank, HSBC or even when I used to have the American Express Card either! Only Wells Fargo Bank would do this to their customers because they are so cheap, disgusting and filthy and only care about your wallet and nothing more!

On a potential good note: I eventually reached somebody and was passed on to a supervisor whom I disputed the transaction for just $1.25 and I also complained about having to spend more than (30) minutes on the phone during both phone calls just to dispute $1.25!

Do you want to know what she gave me for my horrible and disgusting, unnecessary waiting time? Answer: Absolutely nothing! PLEASE NOTE: They can afford to waste over (30) minutes on the phone just to dispute $1.25, but can not afford to take care of their upset, dissatisfied customer by at least offering out some Wells Fargo rewards points or something! MY PERSONAL RESPONSE: Grossly embarrassing and ridiculous to say the very least! Final Thoughts: I am now letting the whole world know about the horrible, low class customer service experience that I had recently received from Wells Fargo bank! I am so glad that I rarely use the credit card anyway! Thank you. Angry And Upset Unsatisfied Customer.

Original review: June 3, 2018

This is the 2nd time they've held my payment for more than 5 business days! I always have to call them to release the hold! This time I called on a Saturday and spoke to their supervisor and he couldn't do squat! I have to now wait until Monday which will be 2 weeks! They are horrible!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was pickpocketed and robbed in Chicago. I filed a police report. My other credit cards issued me a refund since I shouldn’t be liable for unauthorized transactions. I even gave them my police report. All my other banks were kind and issued me my refund, Wells Fargo sends me a letter saying they found no evidence. Obviously they’re trying to scam me too. Closing my checking and all cards and accounts with Wells Fargo. Good riddance.

Wells Fargo Credit Cards Company Information