Wells Fargo Credit Cards
1.04/5

Wells Fargo Credit Cards

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

143 Wells Fargo Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

WELLS FARGO CARD FOR FURNITURE FAIR - First of all I put taxes, shipping was paid out of pocket. I waited a month for a bill statement. A month and 3 payments later I realized the bank account I had on my bill was on to get off. I called them and told them to refund the random person's money and bill me correctly. ($305) 3 calls later and an hour of waiting on hold I was told they can't do that. I said, "It's fraud you are going to do that." When the supervisor talks to me they inform me that they will fix. They figure out a way to fix it and take the wrong account info off. I go to pay $369 out of my account. They did not take the other person's information off. I accidentally did it again to these poor people. I catch it, call them. They say, "Don't worry. It's off," and will not charge them.

The next day I'm charged twice for the one transaction I've made for my own. I call to tell them to remove the extra transaction I didn't make. They say it can take 10 business days. 5 days later $369 is put back. 2 days later $369 is taken out again. I talk to Wells Fargo again. This time I'm told policy is to pull the money 3 times regardless. They even hung up on me this time. I call back on lunch. A lady reversed the payment again. She says it will not pull a 3rd time. At this point I have left half my paycheck in my account to bite the bullet and pay it all off within 2 weeks. Wells Fargo is by far the worst bank I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I ran late on my September payment and went online to make the payment on September 25th. The online system told me what was due and I paid it. I got my payment email the next day to pay the amount I had just paid by October 20. I realized I had not only paid September but also October. The statement was through September 25th.

I tried to log on for November and had forgotten my password and couldn't find my account number to reset it. I call customer service so I can reset it to find out the applied the payment I made in September as extra payment for that month and I am being recharged for October and have a late fee. They refuse to correct this. The also reported a late or missed payment to the credit bureau. I am so pissed.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Overall not a great experience. Unlike American Express they are not Customer friendly. Save yourself the time energy and headache and use a brand and a card that will side with customers when there is a merchant processing error. If I could give less than 1 star I would. I will write as many negative reviews as I can to help others be aware. There is just hands down no comparison to the 5 star customer service of American Express.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Card benefits in regards to stolen phone are nonexistent. Multiple people will review your claim and not tell you the same thing. They will ultimately find the loophole (I was in Germany so my last statement was paid by a relative) which will make it invalid. I would have appreciated if on my FIRST of about 5 conversations (and multiple emails) they would have just been transparent and saved my submission of documents on multiple occasions and 2 additional trips to the Sprint store. Literally over 5 hours in total wasted for NOTHING. So disappointed. I have banked here for years and invested a lot. Consider a new bank! You are only a valued customer if you benefit them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

The amount of aggravation involved in keeping an account with these morons is unacceptable and unbelievable. The blocked charges claimed to be for my protection have repeatedly caused me problem after problem and cost me ultimately. They are always wrong and or incapable of resolving my issues related to the blocked transactions or otherwise. I have talked to numerous employees and have yet to get a satisfactory resolution over years of being patient. I’m done forever with these jokers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

In order to rebuild my credit, I chose to open a Secured Credit Card. Wells Fargo was the best choice for me, with a minimum collateral payment of $300. I opened the card a year ago, paid in full and on time every month, and the Wells Fargo payment is always debited from my checking account a few hours later without issue. Yet it takes Wells Fargo a full week to allow my credit limit to return.

Furthermore, when I attempted to increase my collateral by $1200, in order to bring my credit limit to $1500, it took Wells Fargo a full 10 days to even acknowledge that they received my payment. I was then denied without as much as an explanation. So much for my attempts to rebuild my credit with Wells Fargo, and so much for Wells Fargo attempts to rebuild their public trust after the series of scandals that have plagued them. My advice is to not walk, but run from Wells Fargo. They don't deserve your business.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Personally would not bank with Wells Fargo if it wasn’t for the fact that Bob’s Furniture directly uses them to open their credit card lines. What they DON’T mention to you clearly is there is no type of grace period for your late payment. Late charge is assessed one day after payment is not made on the due date. Also when requesting for a one time courtesy fee waiver (mind you I’ve paid every bill on time and facing a temporary hardship being a new mother with a sick baby) they refused and claimed they are unable to do so because apparently you have to ask for a late charge waiver within 7 days with a payment. In addition to that, to get transferred to a supervisor to be told it’s not 7 days but 4-5 days. No wonder there’s so many bad reviews about this place! Absolutely no customer service excellence experienced whatsoever. Can’t wait to pay this thing off and close my account.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Hello, I've been a customer for Wells Fargo bank for a few years now. Although, I stayed after hearing how they were opening unauthorized credit cards accounts to bring up their numbers. I've been a loyal customer but as it turns out, you are just another number to them. So here my experience with Wells Fargo bank. Yesterday, my account went overdraft for an online purchase for the amount of $-4.65 in the morning or something like that and I was $35 and then another one for $11.79 with another $35 in fees.

Now, If I already was negative, why would a bank approved another transaction? the answer is easy, to take your money legally without you complaining. Another issue is their website so it doesn't show your actual balance. I have a business account and two other personal checking accounts with them (which I'll probably close soon). I feel as a customer for any bank, we should be allowed a grace period for any transaction that goes into our accounts that has not enough funds. The bank should allow us to place the funds within a reasonable time period or pull from another account. Anyhow, it is just another way of ripping us off money (legally) for them.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Be very careful with this"Friendly Bank", want overdraft protection you will get a credit card. Want a line of credit you will get another credit card and get charged $150 a year for it. Want to get charged extra for depositing cash, this is your bank. They will also let you withdraw more money than is in your account and not say a word, is that so they can charge your credit card and collect a fee, $20 plus interest on the card. This may not be all Wells Fargo banks but it is mine and as one teller told me I don't make the rules. Tried to close this account, but now a charge has been added to my zero balance so I can't close it until I pay that as well and wait 4 days for it to post. Waiting for the next fee to show up before the 4 days are up.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We called and asked for a card for my husband on my account but they opened a new acct in his name unbeknownst to us. We received the card and used it on vacation. I paid off my card assuming it was taken care of then we received a past due notice so I called them and they said we were all paid off. Then I received a 60 days past notice and called again. This time the representative asked for the acct number and we discovered what they had done. We paid it off immediately but my husband's credit shows a past 60 days and the card closed by the creditor. They refuse to correct his credit

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The customer service is horrible...they claim you can sign up for notifications but you NEVER get notifications. Account goes negative, card gets blocked and they charge you fees for Everything. Do not choose this bank! Better off with a credit union or Bank of America.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I would not recommend this bank. There is no customer loyalty. I was a customer from 2013-2018. For approximately 5 years I never missed a payment. After I suddenly lost my job, I was unable to make payments for a period of three months. I made a good faith payment and openly communicated with Wells Fargo about my situation. Immediately after finding another job I told them when they could expect payment. The day before payday (which is when I told them they could expect the payment) they permanently closed my account. I was told by a customer service representative that when the account was current I could call back to get it reopened. I did so and was told by a manager, Jennifer, that there was no way to re-open an account that was closed due to delinquency. They would not reopen the account.

I understand I missed payments. But I was a loyal and on-time customer for FIVE YEARS. I told them exactly what was happening and continued to answer their calls even when they called up to five times per day (including Sundays and early mornings). They were not willing to work with me despite my on-time history, intent to pay, good faith payment, and loyalty. Conversely, my other credit card providers: Chase, Citi, Barclays did work with me and took into account my on-time payment history. I will soon be closing my checking account with Wells Fargo and moving to a bank that treats its loyal customers like human beings instead of liabilities. WF you have lost a valuable customer.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Wells Fargo Bank trying use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. (1) They are putting false information on my credit report. (2) They do not have wet ink signature that sign contract with them to open up a credit card. (3) They claim that it was charge off. If the account is charge off, then there should be no balance because they got money from taxes and also charge off debt is worthless and no long able to collect. (4) The state of limitation have pass and they still are trying to collect. (5) I send a request for debt validation and unable to give me proper debt validation. (6) They are trying overcharge me fee.

I feel that Wells Fargo Bank is trying to take advantage of me because I ** male. I feel that discrimination is wrong. I am willing to pay off the debt that you claim I owe if you are will to provide me with the original contract I sign with ink signature. I will have expert document look at contract. Wells Fargo Bank refused to pick a date for us meet in person and have expert document look at the original contract. They still put false information on my credit report, which I think is wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Nothing but problems. I applied for a line of credit at my Dentist's office so I could have dental work done. I also have an HSA funded through my employer, who makes quarterly contributions. I was told at the dentist that I could apply, and when the money was available in my HSC, then make the payment. It is a good idea in theory. A few days later my dentist called to say my application was denied and I had to call them to find out why. When I did - we found out that the SS # was incorrect on the application. The weirdest part is, someone at Wells Fargo somehow linked up my application to my husband's information, who had an account YEARS ago, and they used his SS #. Once they corrected the application, I was approved. Then, it gets worse...

Terrible "rules" for making payments and terrible customer service. The 2nd problem was, Wells Fargo would not allow me to make my full payment over the phone with my HSA MasterCard. They told me the only way was for me to pay the bill was to write a personal check out of my regular bank account, and then submit a form to my HSA company asking for reimbursement, which can take a few weeks to process and receive. I spoke to 5 different people at Wells Fargo to try to understand why they wont take an HSA card... All they could tell me was it was against their policy. I then requested for them to let it go into collections, because I'm sure a collection agency will accept my MasterCard. I'd NEVER apply for anything Wells Fargo ever again.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have applied their credit card twice in 2 years and each time they declined to approve 727 credit score. I spoke to the representative and what I understood that having a 1 negative item for few hundred bucks means everything for them and they care less of excellent credit score. Please don’t apply and place hard inquiry in your credit report. On the same time I have applied for American Express and instantly I was approved for $5000.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I bought a refrigerator from Sears which we cancelled two hours later and never left the store. Five months later have still not received a refund of $2800. We disputed the charge with Wells Fargo and they refused to do anything stating that just because we never got the refrigerator does not constitute fraud. Go figure. Bottom line is not to use a bank card to purchase anything.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I called up the Wells Fargo Visa Credit Card Customer Service Phone Number of: 1-800 642-4720 because I needed to Dispute a Charge for Only $1.25. The first time I called was yesterday back on Saturday, June 2, 2018 and was on hold for at least eight (8) minutes with nobody picking up the line. I got so angry and frustrated and hung up the phone and then I called back for the second (2nd) time! On my second (2nd) phone call, one of the first things that I heard was a voice recorded message stating that the horrible wait time will be well over (10) minutes long. Can you believe it? A billion dollar company can NOT afford to hire more representatives to handle supposedly the high volume of call! Ridiculous!

Please NOTE: I never have to go through the same experience with Chase Bank, HSBC or even when I used to have the American Express Card either! Only Wells Fargo Bank would do this to their customers because they are so cheap, disgusting and filthy and only care about your wallet and nothing more!

On a potential good note: I eventually reached somebody and was passed on to a supervisor whom I disputed the transaction for just $1.25 and I also complained about having to spend more than (30) minutes on the phone during both phone calls just to dispute $1.25!

Do you want to know what she gave me for my horrible and disgusting, unnecessary waiting time? Answer: Absolutely nothing! PLEASE NOTE: They can afford to waste over (30) minutes on the phone just to dispute $1.25, but can not afford to take care of their upset, dissatisfied customer by at least offering out some Wells Fargo rewards points or something! MY PERSONAL RESPONSE: Grossly embarrassing and ridiculous to say the very least! Final Thoughts: I am now letting the whole world know about the horrible, low class customer service experience that I had recently received from Wells Fargo bank! I am so glad that I rarely use the credit card anyway! Thank you. Angry And Upset Unsatisfied Customer.

Original review: June 3, 2018

This is the 2nd time they've held my payment for more than 5 business days! I always have to call them to release the hold! This time I called on a Saturday and spoke to their supervisor and he couldn't do squat! I have to now wait until Monday which will be 2 weeks! They are horrible!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was pickpocketed and robbed in Chicago. I filed a police report. My other credit cards issued me a refund since I shouldn’t be liable for unauthorized transactions. I even gave them my police report. All my other banks were kind and issued me my refund, Wells Fargo sends me a letter saying they found no evidence. Obviously they’re trying to scam me too. Closing my checking and all cards and accounts with Wells Fargo. Good riddance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was charged for a service I never signed up for on two different credit cards. On my first credit card with Wells Fargo they charged me 18 months of Credit Defense charges...and on my other credit they charged me seven years of Credit Defense charges...

Original review: April 19, 2018

In October of 2017 I applied and was approved for a Wells Fargo Platinum Credit Card with 15 month 0% interest. Fast forward to April 16 2018 when Wells Fargo added a $111.00 interest charge to my current balance. After complaining to a Wells rep who agreed I had a 0% rate that was active he said I would be receiving a call to make final decision. After a few days a Wells “Rep” from their “executive” office called and in his best legal form of explanation, stated; that yes I had been approved for a Platinum Card but not the 0% percent financing as stated in their offer. Despite the fact that I have an 800 plus fico score would never use a credit card that didn’t offer 0%. This is just one more of Wells Fargo’s ongoing shady business practices. After 17 years Wells no longer needs my business.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Wells Fargo is a ripoff when it comes to your credit card interest charges on purchases. How in the world you can go from $54 interested on one month to $60 interested charge on the next month after one charge. But they going to tell base your balance. But the past few years I was getting charge around $50 each month.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I obtained Cashwise Wells Fargo Credit Card with a credit limit of 7500. I had maybe 1500 on my card out of the 7500. I made regular payments and always on time. I received an alert through my credit monitoring that my credit limit was decreased by Wells Fargo from 7500 to 2450?? I called and I received a runaround stating that because I no longer had my car loan with Wells Fargo dealer services... [It had been paid off.] That they decreased my credit limit? This in turn reflected negatively with the credit bureaus and my credit score plummeted by 13 points!!! I will NEVER do any kind of business with Wells Fargo again. I am very disappointed and disgusted.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I received a loan for a Woodstove insert and I paid every payment on time and knew that I had an interest promo ending this March... Well I missed the deadline by 2 weeks and called to pay it as my new bill came and they charged me an additional $757 dollars onto what I thought was my last payment. I offered to pay the 14 days interest to remove as I have been a perfect client. Never late. NOPE! Case closed. I will not lend from a company so unwilling to negotiate and no grace period!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

It has taken nearly one year for Wells Fargo to refund over $300 that was credited to the wrong account not once, but twice! After 6+ trips to the office where the original error occurred, 15 phone calls averaging 45 minutes each, and monthly promises that we would see the credit on our next statement, plus being passed from one customer service representative to the next, enduring one unprofessional and incompetent employee after another, our account was finally credited. I finally found one competent employee who listened and reviewed the physical evidence of my case. She apologized profusely, and vowed to resolve my case. If it hadn't been for her, I'm certain that we would still be waiting for our money.

The level of incompetency at this bank is mind boggling. Run from this bank!!! They will debit your account in a day, but they tell you it will take “2-3 statements” before you will see a credit, and that is if you are lucky. There's a reason there are lawsuits pending against them. Absolute worst bank and worst customer service I have ever encountered.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

As a less affluent customer of Wells Fargo Secured Credit Cards, in an attempt to establish credit with the bank, I applied for a secured credit card. After being involved in a traffic crash, and not being able to work, I made payments into the account in order to conduct certain business transactions. During the course of these transactions, I made more payments into the account than charged to the account, and now Wells Fargo is claiming that I owe an over the credit limit amount based their notification. The bank continues to assert that I owe an amount that was deposited in the first place, so the question is, how can I owe any money when more was paid into the account than charged to the account, and the bank will not correct this issue.

After contacting the bank on numerous occasions, I have been given the third degree with no indications that they will rectify my account, therefore illegally holding payments that should be available. Another classic case of David vs Goliath, and it's shameful. I intend to cease conducting business with Wells Fargo by closing all of my accounts based on the fact that their customer service bankers communicated with me as if I was a five year old child not knowing what I am talking about instead of admitting that there is a mistake and that it should be corrected. Besides, the refusal to correct this problem has caused my credit rating to fall drastically for failure to pay other outstanding accounts that I have because of their error.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I would not recommend this credit card. I had a horrible experience with this service. I got a Wells Fargo cc b/ a friend recommended it b/ they offer a cellphone protection reimbursement. To make my story short, I submitted all of my paperwork for a claim for my cellphone, including a conference call with my cellphone carrier, statements, etc. Unfortanelly you cannot talk directly w/ the people that make the decisions, you have to make an appointment which is extremely inconvenient b/ my work schedule is crazy. A lot of times they would not return my phone calls so after a few months of going back & forth they denied my claim saying too much time had passed after I specifically asked 2 different reps abt the time limits & they both said I didn't have to worry about the time since I submitted my paperwork w/n the time the accident occurred. I will be canceling my card soon!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I cannot believe the level of unfairness and abuse as evidenced by the Wells Fargo Credit Card policies. Do you know that Wells Fargo has a policy that is rigidly enforced that states that the original interest rate given to you when you first apply for their credit card is the interest rate that you will have forever! I have had three years of perfect management of my credit card, and my credit rating which has gone up substantially, and when I called them up multiple times, to try and get my interest rate lowered, they told me that I cannot request a review of my credit rate.

Their rigid policy says that I am stuck with an extremely high interest rate, 27.24% for the life of the card! This is insanely abusive and unfair. I keep the balance at zero or near zero constantly. Please do not bank with Wells Fargo. Do not apply for a credit card with them. Their attitude towards their customers is still inflexible, and bordering on the criminal. I am starting a campaign against them. Please pass this along.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I have held a Wells Fargo card for many years. Repeatedly, I have problems entering my account online. The website either doesn't recognize me or it doesn't recognize my computer. In any case, I repeatedly reenter the information, which the website does not remember. Then, after three tries, I am locked out of my account. For all the money (and fake accounts) these people have, can't they even run a simple website? STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have promised to get 200 dollars credit card bonus after 3 months of use, and it has been more than a years still waiting to get my 200 dollars bonus. Last December the service representative promised that it will be in my account by 2018, still waiting to get my bonus. And their customer service phone number is very busy, it has been 45 minutes in the phone, still waiting to get someone take care of me, while I am writing this.

Wells Fargo Credit Cards Company Information