Disclosures

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About BrightWay

OneMain Financial, best known for its personal loans, also offers two credit cards: BrightWay and BrightWay+. These cards are currently available for select customers, but OneMain has plans to expand access soon. Cardholders get unlimited 1% cash back and can qualify for a reduced annual percentage rate or increased credit limit when they make six consecutive payments on time. The annual fee on a BrightWay card ranges from $0 to $65.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Unlimited 1% cash back
  • Zero fraud liability
  • Rewards for on-time payments
  • App account management
Cons
  • Must receive offer to apply
  • Low credit limit

What is BrightWay?

BrightWay and BrightWay+ are Mastercard credit cards offered by OneMain Financial. The BrightWay card is intended for those who are building credit. The BrightWay+ card has a higher credit limit and is for customers with more established credit.

Both cards feature 1% cashback rewards and “Milestone Benefits” — a choice between an APR reduction or a credit limit increase — when you make six consecutive on-time payments of at least the minimum due amount.

Currently, OneMain Financial only offers the cards to select customers, including certain borrowers of the company’s personal loans. OneMain plans to expand availability soon.

How does BrightWay work?

If you received an offer by mail to apply for BrightWay, you can enter the 11-character code online. If you don’t have the code, you can provide your last name, ZIP code and the last four digits of your Social Security number to look it up.

Next, you fill out your application. Once you finish the application, you’ll find out if you’re approved for a card within seconds. Depending on your credit history, income and debt, you may be eligible for the BrightWay card or the BrightWay+ card.

BrightWayBrightWay+
Purchase APR26.99%26.99%
Credit limitUp to $500Up to $3,000
Annual feeUp to $65$0
Cash back1%1%
Milestone Benefits
BrightWay26.99%Up to $500Up to $651%
BrightWay+26.99%Up to $3,000$01%

If you’re approved, your BrightWay card will arrive by mail in five to seven business days. If it doesn't arrive within a week, you should contact OneMain Financial by phone. When you receive the card, you can activate it using the BrightWay app. This app also allows you to track spending, payments and rewards.

With a BrightWay card, you're automatically enrolled in the rewards program. You get unlimited 1% cash back on qualifying purchases, which is credited to your account at the end of each billing cycle.

The BrightWay card also has a “Milestone Benefits” program. After you make six consecutive on-time payments, you achieve a “Milestone Event.” OneMain Financial then allows you to choose either an APR reduction or a credit limit increase.

If you have the BrightWay card, achieving four Milestone Events means you can graduate to a BrightWay+ card.

BrightWay rates

The BrightWay credit card has an APR of 26.99% on purchases, cash advances and balance transfers. Once you reach a Milestone Event, OneMain Financial may allow you to reduce your APR, but it won't go below 19.99%, according to the terms of the rewards program. To avoid paying interest, you need to pay your card balance in full by the due date each month.

BrightWay credit cards have an annual fee that ranges from $0 to $65. Here are other fees to be aware of:

• Cash advance: 3% of the cash advance or $10 — whichever amount is greater
  • Balance transfer: 3% of the transfer amount or $10 — whichever is greater
  • Foreign transaction: 1% of each transaction (in U.S. dollars)
  • Late payment: Up to $40
  • Replacement card: Up to $25

BrightWay FAQ

What is the credit limit for BrightWay?

The BrightWay card has a credit limit up to $500. The BrightWay+ card has a credit limit up to $3,000. You can increase your credit limit through Milestone Benefits, but it can’t exceed $15,000.

Does BrightWay have cashback rewards?

BrightWay offers unlimited 1% cashback rewards. The rewards are automatically credited to your account at the end of a billing cycle.

What bank is associated with BrightWay?

BrightWay and BrightWay+ cards are associated with OneMain Financial. The BrightWay card is issued by WebBank.

Who can get a BrightWay credit card?

Currently, it’s only possible to get a BrightWay credit card if you receive an offer from OneMain Financial. OneMain is only offering a limited number of cards but plans to expand availability soon.

Is BrightWay worth it?

The BrightWay credit card is worth considering if you receive an offer to apply. The card has a number of perks, like unlimited 1% cash back and the opportunity to earn Milestone Benefits (lower APR or higher credit limit). If you start with the BrightWay card and make on-time payments, you eventually can upgrade to the BrightWay+ card, which has no annual fee and a higher credit limit. Compare BrightWay with offers from other card companies to choose the credit card that’s right for you.

BrightWay Reviews

Stars Rating

• 6%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 6%
  • 88%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brightway?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brightway?
    Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 27, 2024

Had the Brightway Card for 11 Months. Paid my balance in Full Every Month... Early. They doubled my credit limit. Then the TROUBLE STARTS. Paid my card in full before traveling. The Check Cleared as usual the next day. Then they froze my Credit Card for Review. For what!!! Paying your Bill every month and on time? Then I have to speak with a FOREIGN Customer Service Center where English is their 3rd Language. After spending 53 minutes on hold and I did hold, I spoke to some arrogant and indifferent credit analyst who said ... "Your Account Looks Great. I have unlocked your account and you can use your Card in 10 Business Days!!!"

What they do not understand is that I have other Credit Cards... 13 to be exact. All of which I have had for 5 years or more and ALWAYS work! They think that they are doing you a favor by giving you their Card! I only signed up for this Piece of Trash Card, because Nerd Wallet kept sending me offers and incentives to which I finally succumbed. But as a Transactional Customer (5 Stars), I am a Bank's Dream! So when you get a Credit Card that you can not depend on and goes out of their way to INCONVENIENCE YOU rather than REWARD you and THANK YOU for your business, This Credit Card is NOT something that you want in your financial arsenal.

Ease of Use

Reviewed June 21, 2024

Card works as advertised. Great for those trying to rebuild credit. Initial credit limit is higher than most cards for those with less than perfect credit. App is attractive and easy to use. Milestones are easy to achieve and rewarding.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed June 12, 2024

I activated my BrightWay card less than a month ago and I've already paid it off and closed the account. Very not nice experience!!!! I set up autopayments for was due monthly. The app accepted my bank info and gave no indication that my bank was not accepted. When the due date came around I got a notice that I was past due and that my payment was returned to my bank. I called my bank and they stated there were no transactions with Brightway. I had to pay the annual $75 fee a $25 late fee (I did my part --- it being late was on them) and I paid the monthly minimum due of $25. Shysters! So less than a month and they got $100 out of me and I never used the card for a purchase. Absolutely shameful and fraudulent. Not to mention the whole mess with them caused my credit score to drop 60 points. Stay away if you can. There are way better starter credit cards out here that don't cause you grief like these guys do!

Reviewed June 11, 2024

Horrible offshore customer service. Brutally uncaring and mean. Would not put US on the line. Laughed at me when. I needed them to help. No regard for current my business or future business. Annual fee sucks.

Reviewed May 31, 2024

I did not received my card. I have spoken with customer service 4 times so far and have been given 4 different answers. Twice by supervisors. They expect me to make the payment on time and I still do not have a card. It has been over 35 days. I would strongly advise to avoid this company at all costs.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 2, 2024

I decided to transfer my BrightWay credit card balance of $1,600 to a new card I had just opened. Two weeks after the payment was sent to BrightWay, the payment still had not posted. I verified with the new card that payment was in fact sent and then when contacting BrightWay, I was told they were not going to authorize the balance transfer and instead offered me a token small rate reduction. I didn't know this is even legal. In fact my new cc company said they had never heard of this happening before and I had to request a claw back of the payment.

The reason BrightWay gave the new card for rejecting payment was an "incorrect" account number, which was different than what they told me. The next day I filed a complaint with the CFPB, who then notified BrightWay that a complaint had been opened. I received a rather unpleasant call from BrightWay last week saying they were aware and were looking into it. Then today I received an email saying I had missed a payment and had a late due balance. I checked my account and verified that I had set up auto pay for the minimum due each month and verified that my last payment was in fact paid on time, so I assumed it was simply a clerical error.

When I called to clear it up the BrightWay agent blamed it on my bank and said they charged my account for the minimum $55 auto payment but my bank only transferred $37, which was the amount from the previous month. This is quite simply beyond absurd and was clearly an attempt by them to either retaliate for the complaint I filed or extract a late payment. I had to agree to make an $18 payment for them to agree to waive the late fee they were illegally charging me. I once again asked the agent to confirm that my account was set to auto pay for the minimum amount due each month, which he did.

Therefore, I asked him if he understood that this verifies that it could only have been their fault, but he still tried to blame the bank for not remitting the "correct" amount. I told him I was going to file another complaint with the CFPB because I have a strong feeling they were retaliating for the first complaint I filed. In the meantime, I cancelled my auto payment and will manually pay the balance due each month until it's paid off and I can close this shady account. I have four other credit cards and never once had a single issue with any of them. Stay away from these dishonest people and their shady business practices.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 13, 2024

Was approved for a card in November. It never came, so I called in December and customer service verified my address and issued a new card, that also never came. In February I called again and they said they didn't include my apartment number, so that's why it didn't come, They issued yet a new card. I received this one and activated it. Went to use it that day and was declined. Called customer service and they said a payment was due two days ago on a card I JUST received and activated, So now I'm late on a payment for a card I didn't even have due to their errors. They were completely unwilling to work with me or help.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2023

Make payment of 250.00 and after 8 days still not reflected in balance summary. Don’t get this card. Customer service is non existent and email inquiries takes a week for half a response. Have called at least thirty times. Can’t get thru to human and get disconnected.!

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2023

The worse card possible. I was disconnected from the customer service queue several times. I continue to get declined everywhere I go and have to use a different card. It is incredibly embarrassing. DO NOT GET THIS CARD!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2023

First thing …I make a payment and it wouldn’t go through until due date and got late fees! My account had been blocked due to fraud alerts. They were supposed to send a new card that I requested since August and nothing yet!! So I called and no one ever knew anything about ANYTHING! The manager said I had to send my bank statements and copy of ID and full address to an email. Told him that didn’t sound right. He explained that they needed to make sure the credit card account was mine. Even tho I already gave all info to verify everything with them. They said they couldn’t do anything to help unless that got that information. Scared as heck I sent info and and email got rejected saying that email was not a valid email.

I called them and got the same story I needed to send in to a different email. I explain to them the email that was given by a manager didn’t work. She gave me an updated email and guess what? It didn’t work it. Came back with no domain and email was not real! They can’t help me! I can’t use my card and can’t help to take block of card but are ready to make sure they get their payment!!! I've only had this since April and the balance never goes down due to late fees, etc. I’ve made every payment every month but can’t use my card and the balance is still the same from the One charge I’ve used the card for!! DON'T GET THIS CARD!! You won’t get anywhere trying to get help with your account. Oh and expect to wait a longggg time for your replacement card!!

BrightWay Company Information