Old Navy Credit Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a $900 limit with a $500 balance. Had NEVER been late with payments and out of the blue my credit limit was lowered to $200 without warning or explanation. I immediately paid the card off and have not shopped in their store or online since.

I used a card at Christmas that was suddenly no longer usable after the holidays even though the expire date was two years down the road. When my card was suddenly declined, I called Old Navy. They said I was using an old card that had been replaced and I should have gotten it in the mail. In fact, I had never received the new card. They offered no explanation and were rather rude and said, "Too bad, you have to wait 7-10 days for another card." Not sure if they are having security issues or what, but it is not good customer service. They need to be more courteous and give a clear explanation about why they reissue cards so frequently and unannounced.

Old Navy closed my account!!! I was making my payment & shopping regularly, then when I called customer care they didn't care about me. I was a good & loyal customer but now I'll never shop there again! I don't have nothing good to say about that company or card!

I'm writing this after a horrible experience last night. I've never had an issue with this card but last night/early this morning while trying to book a hotel overseas for my upcoming travel my card wouldn't go through. So I called, spoke to someone who didn't sound like they were overseas themselves, was able to verify recent purchases and she was able to allow my transaction to go through. Awesome!

2 hours later, while applying for visa for my travel, I was unable to use my card. Called again and was told that I'm unable to use my card until a new one has been activated and I should expect that in 7-10 days. I explained to him that just 2 hours ago and all day long I've been using the card. He said he's not sure how that was possible. I asked to speak to a manager, Jimmy **, got on the phone with me and told me the same thing but was unable to explain to me how this could be. I told him in the past when I've gotten my new card I was able to use my old card until I activated the new one. Long story short, I've always been a loyal customer but this morning I was very unsatisfied with the service and interaction with those two men. I requested my account to be closed and I'll be sure the next card will be with customer service based in United states.

They imposed fraud charges on my credit card of around 19$. I remember they replied - "opening the credit card was totally free at GREAT MALL, Milpitas". They never emailed about late payments. This also affected my credit score. Seriously, this card basically ruined my entire life in US. Please do not get it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Navy?

I had a Old Navy credit card for over year. Never paid late. Balance paid in full. They mysteriously closed my card which I embarrassingly found out when I was in the store. They told me it was due to my credit card score has dropped. What I find it odd is that the financial institution they use is Sympathy Bank who also sucks. I have another credit card from Walmart who also goes to Sympathy Bank which they gave me a credit increase. I trying to figure out if it's the same financial institution how did one increase and one decrease around the same time. I know why it's because I use the Walmart card often, and I only use the Old Navy 3 to 4 times a year. They should let people know ahead of time before it is close to your card. For what it's worth I wanted to get the card because of the promotion they had going on that year. Their clothes suck and I would never shop at Old Navy ever again. It's just bad business!!!

I enjoy shopping at Old Navy. I paid off my credit card in 2016. It was affecting my credit score so I brought it down for the time being. In January 2017 went to use it and it was canceled with notification whatsoever. My payments were on time.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Basically, re-instated her card, apologized for "any confusion" but reminded her that can decline it anytime. For some reason, Synchrony bank has a compulsion to periodically flex their muscles to customers.

As long as my 'cards' know I am going out of town, they might put a temporary hold on my card due to suspected fraudulent activity. But the instant I verify a charge(s) they remove the hold and apologize for any inconvenience. In some cases, it is an automated call and after listening to the list of charges I can just enter valid or invalid.

Dale of Clovis, CA on

Original Review

My wife got great deals at Old Navy stores, using her Old Navy card. But almost every 6 to 8 weeks Synchrony Bank would decline her card, saying there appeared to be a suspicious charge, discussed it with her a while, then said her card will be activated anywhere from a few hours to a few days! Sometimes this would happen when shopping away from our city, which is not unusual in itself, but instead of having her verify her charges one by one they would just block the card and ask her to call them.

Now they say she does not have enough good credit and they want to see she has more accounts in her name. I spent an hour on the computer and downloaded all the accounts with her name, or mine combined. They also want her phone number to be activated as a secure contact source with only her name associated with the same phone number. We just switched to T-Mobile, and bought 2 lines. They used my name on both lines. I spent 5 minutes on the T-Mobile site and got her number associated with her name, no one else. This whole ordeal is bordering on harassment. She plans to finish paying off this card then cancel. Terrible service.

Collections? I don't even have an account yet. They've been calling me at least twice a day for at least two months! I have never even set foot in an Old Navy store ever. Tried getting someone on the phone with no success either. :(

I had an Old Navy card.... Thought I STILL had an Old Navy, until I went to use in the store recently. I don't "make payments" on my credit cards, I pay them off - each and every month. Yet, for some unknown reason, my account had been closed.The clerk thought maybe it had been a while since I'd used it (it hadn't - less than 6 months). I went through the system at the counter to "re-activate" my card only to find out during refinancing my home a few weeks later, that what they had actually done was run my credit and open a new account. I've got an excellent credit score, but still took a hit because of this. Was it worth it? Nah...the % off and the $35 coupon weren't worth it. I'll keep it open for now (assuming they don't randomly close it again). But don't think I'll use it much as I get better cash back with my regular Visa card.

I hardly ever used my Old Navy credit card, maybe 3 times a year and always paid my balance off at the end of the month. Went to make a purchase today and my card was declined. I didn't take it too seriously. I called Old Navy credit card, and just assumed it was a mistake that could be quickly and easily corrected. To my surprise my account was closed in October. Wow! Zero advance notice. I was told it was due to my credit score. Funny how I was able to buy a car with zero money down and low interest, purchase a phone with zero deposits, and obtain additional revolving credit since October. Yet Old Navy has a problem with my score. The way they treat customers is disgusting. I will no longer shop at Old Navy or any affiliated stores and I will be informing everyone I know about my experience.

The worst credit card. They would affect your credit. Be smart and don't apply for old navy credit card. They will close your account without any notification or explanation and then your credit score will drop. They did it to me.

0 stars!!! I'm trying to rebuild my credit so I applied for this Old Navy card. I was only given a $200 limit but I was happy with that. After a few months I will received a letter saying they were decreasing my limit, die to my credit score, they lowered it to 100. I continue to make on-time payments, paid it off then my account was closed. Again because my credit score, they never told me they were going to keep running my credit score, it was never mentioned that they would be making these inquiries on my credit. I called them, they said it was a requirement to have a certain score. I explained I was rebuilding. They didn't care, they said nothing they could do, it was up to their discretion. I've stop shopping at Old Navy, if you can treat your loyal customers like this I want no part. Take your card and shove it!!!

If I could have given this credit card company no stars I would have. My credit line was decreased without a letter being sent out to notify me of this change, all because I have not used my card for a few months. I think this CEO can go rot for treating card holders this way. Their clothes suck and are not even good quality. It's sad that the consumers are the ones that suffer from a unprofessional lack of communication.

I've been having problems with my card Old Navy Credit Card since August 2016. My auto payments started being kicked back in August. I had auto payments set-up just in-case I forgot making a payment. So, in August I got a late payment and made a payment on my own over the computer and it went through. From then on our I was making payments every month on my own and they would go through but my auto was still getting denied. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and didn't understand what was going on. I called them and went over account info with them which was correct and they were a joke. They were still receiving hundreds of dollars in payments from me every month. They closed my acct due to lack of payment even though I made almost $500 payments in 2 months.

I called them back and they told me I had to prove my bank acct was correct. I had gone to the bank and got a letter saying clearly my acct hasn't changed and I've had the same one for years. I attached that to a letter from myself with whats going on and listed the payments that did go through. I didn't hear anything so 2 weeks later I called back and asked what was the update to my account and their response was, that's not enough info. I have to write a letter about what happened. I told them "I did that if you clearly look at all pages I sent." It's November and still not cleared up with about 5 phone calls to them and 2 stops to my bank. I paid them off in October and will never use them again! I dont want this to affect my credit card score more that it is and I want my Old Navy Cash of about $40!

This company is horrible. I sent them a check for over 1800 from an escrow account. After several collection call messages left on my voice mail I realized something was wrong. After being on hold for what seemed like years I finally decided to use the chat online feature. I was told the check never arrived. After verifying with escrow the check was never cashed, I had the check canceled and a new one issued. I confirmed the address, got the new check and sent it that same day. Two weeks later the collection calls started again. Connected to chat and again was told the check never arrived. Unbelievable. They told me to fax over a request along with documentation. I won't hold my breath. After seeing all of the online complaints why is this company allowed to continue Operations?

Dropped my credit down for no reason. I was never late and always early in payments. However, I didn't use it every month nor did I max it out. Awful card, high rates, and TERRIBLE clothing. Overpriced and overrated.

I recently got married and lost my old navy card with all the stress and moving around. I requested a new one and they locked me out of my account online access. So I ended up missing a payment because everything I do is online. I do not request paper statements. I paid the $88.00 as soon as I received my new card and they LOWERED my credit limit back to 300.00 without notice. WORSE CARD EVER!!!

Two days ago I received a bill from Visa Old Navy from July 22nd. That day I paid with my bank debit card and opened but did not use the Old Navy card. When I called the Visa Old Navy that I was charged on their account that was not activated. The customer service stated that I would either have to fax or mail proof of the receipt from my debit card. When I asked about such an inconvenience for me as the customer to fax or mail them that they would offer a gift card, the customer service stated they could not do anything. Needless to say I closed the Old Navy Visa account and would not use. They already made a mistake of billing me when I already paid, what other mistakes would happen! #dontopenvisaoldnavyaccount

I signed up for an Old Navy card but I immediately regret it. I never used it, never activated my account and I still got some mysterious fees accrued on my account that I never got alerted of. You should only be charged if you actually activated your card in my opinion. I'm going to cancel it as soon as possible.

Started out with a good/excellent credit score. The Old Navy employee straight up lied to me in order to persuade me to open a card, and once I did and took a look at the receipt, called her out on it, wherein she back peddled and now I can't do anything about it. My credit score dropped TWENTY-NINE (29) points because of this one card. Paid it off, and will be canceling it immediately. The moron who opened it also put my Birthday in wrong, so I had to go through an entire BS process with corporate just to pay off my card.

I was approved for some credit and I purchased clothes. I waited on an invoice for months. There was no paperwork on how much to pay or anything. All of a sudden it goes to collections. Severely poor customer service.

Customer service. If you try to pay your Old Navy card online, it is the worst experience to try and pay your card. It's like they do not want you to pay your card so synchrony credit is responsible for their customer service which I feel they must hire the low-end of people. They are rude, disgusting, will not help you. I going to tear.

I opened an Old Navy card, paid on-time, more than the minimum. Six months after opening this card, Old Navy did a soft inquiry on my credit (without my knowledge or authorization). Unfortunately, a medical bill appeared during that time on my credit report, which made my score drop and based on this... Old Navy decreased my balance from $300 to $200. At the time, I had $125 charged on the card, so because of the decrease... my credit utilization was impacted and caused my score to drop even more. I was advised by Old Navy customer (who are very rude, I might add), that they base their credit increases and decreases solely on credit score, regardless of payment history. I continued to pay on time, until the next incident, where one month I wanted to make a payment, using two separate accounts, registered in my online profile.

I made the first payment, which was under my minimum payment due and then followed immediately to make the second payment from the second account and was denied the option. I had to find out the hard way that Old Navy's system allows only one payment a day via, so my second payment had to be made the next day and I was charged a late fee. The late fee was reversed (so they claimed), but my minimum payment the following month was increased by Old Navy.

I was advised that it was due to the late fee being charged and once I made that payment - the balance should go back to the normal minimum fee. Well, that didn't happen and the minimum fee was even higher the following month. Needless to say, I made the decision to close the account. Mainly, to avoid another soft inquiry and any possible negative impact on my credit, because I didn't use the card as much. Secondly, the customer was horrible and the whole billing issue just left a bad taste in my mouth. I use to shop at Old Navy frequently, for my 8 year old and could care less if I EVER step foot in another Old Navy after dealing with this card. They lost a loyal customer!

They took out 125 and blamed it on me and said I would have to wait 20 days for reimbursement. I'm in freaking college. They screwed me over with bills. I owe my mother the 125 for covering me and then I owe a bill 175 and I'm diabetic and hypothyroid and can't get meds that are crucial. I'm actually in a crisis over this. Oh and let's not forget another 90 dollar bill. And I didn't get so much as an apology. The woman was rude and tried to blame me. And when I tried to pay my bill online it wouldn't log me in and so I called and then the automated system just booted me to a rep who tried to charge 30 for running my card. Once this is paid off I'm canceling the card and taking business elsewhere. They are actually putting my health at risk because they screwed up.

I love the Old Navy Credit card. I pay off my balance early every month and so I have never experienced any problems. The 5% rewards for future purchases are fabulous and there are many offers for additional discounts available when you use the card for Old Navy/Gap purchases that are not available to other customers. Plus with the new Navyist card, ALL orders have free 3-5 day shipping. No minimum purchase required. When I called one time to question why I hadn't had my rewards credited, the CSR doubled what I was owed and applied it immediately

I have had my Old Navy Credit card for a little over a year. I had an incident while trying to pay my bill. I had inadvertently put in the wrong routing number. I spoke with a CSR person and gave them my bank info again. I received an email stating that my payment had been returned. I called to straighten this out AGAIN for the 3rd day in a row. I was hung up on. Within a half an hour I received an auto dial call from another department letting me know that my payment was returned and that my payment was now late. I was furious.

Finally, the payment information was taken without error. I thought this would be the end of the issue until I came home to find a letter from Old Navy letting me know that my account is suspended because of too many returned payments. (I am not even at half of my limit nor have I made more than 1 late payment to this account). This is a company that clearly has no idea what any other part of the company is doing. Do they not have a "note" section for each account? I may have been okay with the suspension if the returned payments were my fault. I think it is super when a company penalizes you for their employee's data entry errors. This card will be paid off today and cut up! I will no longer shop at Old Navy or any of their sister companies. I will warn everyone against their credit card and company on a regular basis.

When I set up my bill pay, I apparently typed one wrong number for my account information. I tried paying my bill 4 times and each time it never told me there was an issue, only that 'my bank declined the payment'. So a charge of $66 became $125. When I called Synchrony to see why my payments never processed, they said "I don't know, but you owe $125". After arguing that I've tried to pay the entire balance each time I was billed, including the late charges, that I will pay what I owed originally, right now, over the phone, he said, "well you already tried to pay the full amount of $125 anyway so what's it matter". Not realizing that I was talking to someone who has the world’s worst customer service, no remorse, and was so argumentative, I just hung up, paid off the card of DOUBLE my original purchase, and cut up my card. NEVER get an Old Navy Credit Card.

I made a purchase at Old Navy San Luis Obispo, CA. I was offered an "Old Navy discount card", and told it would bring my total down by twenty percent. I asked specifically if this would show up as an inquiry on my credit, because I am in the process of applying for a MORTGAGE LOAN, and don't want any new inquiries. She assured me it would NOT show up. After entering my information into the computer she said there appeared to be a problem, and she had to contact "headquarters". She handed me the phone, I spoke to a woman to "verify my identity", which I found odd. I was worried that someone had stolen my identity, causing this extra layer of "security", but now I know that they signed me up for the OLD NAVY CREDIT CARD.

I'm incensed. I went to my credit report and found that the ONLY blemish I have is a hard inquiry from OLD NAVY. I will never use their store or their card, and after reading the experiences of others with that card, I hope action is taken against them so they are forced to clean up their act. VERY UNHAPPY WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Worst decision I have ever made! Do yourself a favor and do not be tricked into this. So if I make a payment of $60 (more than the minimum payment) a month, I still get charged an interest rate of $25, so then I'm basically never going to pay this off. I feel so unbelievably stupid for letting them get me with their "good deals". Going to cut up my card today!

Old Navy Credit Card Company Profile