Old Navy Credit Card
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings

Old Navy Credit Card

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

87 Old Navy Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was recently asked if I wanted Old Navy card - and thinking it was membership card I applied and halfway through I realized it was credit card. I wanted to cancel and they said, "You can cancel. No problem - just call the number you get in a message with your ref. no (**)..." I then cancelled. Later... I realized the charge of my purchase never came to my bank account and then I got a mail from TurboTax that my credit account was created and on checking I found out I had a charge was still on the canceled credit card. I called the number again to check how can I make that payment... I was then asked about my routing numbers and account number for the payment but really I was not very comfortable sharing those details over the phone and there is no other option to make the payment online as it asks for card number for registration. Anyone else face this problem? To me, it smells of scam!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I applied for an ON CC six months ago. I never received a card, or even a statement. They are reporting missed payments on my credit, and I can’t even get a hold of anyone in the department. I never received a statement via email or mail, I have only received automated calls, so I couldn’t explain that I’d lost my job unexpectedly, and I can’t get through to a human on the line I find on the internet.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have 13 credit cards and all are auto-paid. Old Navy sent a new card and the auto-payment was removed without any notice. Their system for obvious reasons started charging late fees and interest fees. When I called the Old Navy customer rep - they started dealing with me like there is a huge debt on me for $70 amount, there was a $70+ overdue fees / interest / etc. On the humble request to remove the overdue fees as first time misunderstanding - they created a huge issue out of it. When I requested the loyalty agent or a request to cancel the card - they immediately cancelled the card!! Worst ever customer service!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I sign up for the ON card in late 2017, since having this card my account has been locked EVERY SINGLE month without notice. As well as consistently closing my account without notice blaming it on "periodic review". The representative are not helpful and will not budge on getting your account unlocked or reopened but will suggest you to just sign up for a new account. They push you to sign for a new account, but I would not recommend it. Especially, since you will be expecting the same problem with locked or closed accounts with the new card. 100% NOT WORTH GETTING, YOU WILL BE HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I opened a Navy card and when I did in the store they said I could not even use it that day. I never did use it... I decided to close it as it is not necessary to have. The person kept asking me what my birthday was and I said I already told you. Three times they asked if I would reconsider keeping it open. I said no. They then said this will go on my credit report...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Navy?

Original review: July 6, 2018

Old Navy begged me to apply for a credit card. I kept receiving email after email saying, "You’re pre-approved!" So I applied. They gave me a $300 credit limit, which was fine. I used it but didn't max it out. They lowered my credit limit to $200. No notice by mail, phone call, or email. I didn’t use the card again because with a credit limit that low, I didn’t want to have a high balance. I was paying it off. I made my last payment this month, which was $5. They closed my account. Again, no notice by mail, phone call or email. I never went over my limit and all my payments were made on time. I’ve never seen a company harass people to get a card and then drove them away and ruin their credit. I’m pretty sure this is why my Equifax dropped 24 points.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I closed my Old Navy account in June 2017 because I never use the card nor do I ever shop there. Suddenly in my email in June 2018, I have a statement from them with a charge on it that I didn't make. I called and asked how can a closed account be reopened by a fraudulent charge? When I close a credit card, I expect it to stay closed. They give you no confirmation number for your record that the card has been closed other than the person's first name and their 8 digit phone extension.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I went to use my Old Navy card this afternoon and it was declined, funny I just paid off the account in full. Get home to find a letter stating ‘after review’ they’ve closed my account for ‘derogatory accounts/open public judgement etc’. Um, nope don’t have any of those. So I called customer service, which was unhelpful and very aggravating. I was told they reviewed the account and it was accurate and the account had been closed. I asked when they reviewed the account and she told me on June 2nd.

I asked when was the previous review and she said April 2nd. Funny again... in April there was a $100 balance on the card and in May there was a $50 balance on the card. On June 1st I paid the account off, a measly $2.45. Apparently the practice is to close accounts ‘at random’ with $0 balances, I guarantee that if I hadn’t paid the account off I never would have received a letter and the account wouldn’t have been closed. This ‘bank’ is a sham and scam, I will never shop at Old Navy, Banana Republic or any affiliations again. I know it won’t mean anything to them, but it’s principle to me and that means everything. If I were you, I’d read the warnings of every other poster here and STAY AWAY, this card isn’t worth your headache.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have never been so disappointed. I typically shop each season, as my children are constantly growing. I typically make payments on my account. However, after paying my account balance in full and getting ready to begin shopping in a couple of weeks, I receive a letter stating that my account is closed (after the fact). It later says that it is due to inactivity. I contacted the customer service center and explained the situation as this isn't my 1st time shopping seasonally and they couldn't do anything about it. Then they explained that I can open only 1 account (Old Navy/Gap) in a 12 month period. Might I add, THEY CLOSED BOTH OF MY ACCOUNTS WITHOUT NOTICE! I will not shop at Old Navy or Gap again, this is bad business and bad customer service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I typically only shop Old Navy in the fall & spring... Great summer clothes for kiddos. However I went to go purchase their summer wardrobes and was told my card wasn’t valid. Out of nowhere they shut it down for inactivity. "6 months of non-use," they say! Also to do so without notification, just seems like poor business. I may not be your everyday shopper but you’d think that you’d want the business regardless. Oh well... Guess I’ll be buying their summer clothes elsewhere from now on.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have had an Old Navy Card for many years and NEVER once late on a payment, as a matter of fact most of the time I paid my payment in full! I also have other cards with Synchrony Bank and have had no issues with them or lowered balances. I have a both a car loan and a car lease with BMW with both perfectly paid on time, we own our home with no mortgage as we paid that in full also! I also have owned my own business since 2011 with my business credit in very good standing. Hmmm...but they felt the need to cancel my card because I am a credit risk? Really, with every single payment made on time every single month, both myself and my husband having very good incomes and always paying our finances on time every single month. I am very confused...maybe I should have been late so they could have made extra fees off of me.

I even ran all 3 of my annual credit reports just to make sure I was not missing something because I am that paranoid about making sure all my payments are made on time and all was great along with my credit score. Not a credit card company I would ever recommend and this is coming from a upper middle class homeowner and business owner with a very good credit standing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The Old Navy credit card has a good rewards dollars program, but everything else about this credit card is the WORST EVER!!! With ZERO notice, I found out they suddenly closed my credit account. Our bank account had fraud, so there was a delay in the auto-pay, so Old Navy immediately just closed the account! I have excellent credit, a long history of credit cards in excellent standing. This is a horrible way to conduct business.

This shouldn't surprise me because their customer service is TERRIBLE! If you opt for paper statements, you CANNOT view your account history or account statements online. The company they use to when you call customer service has very limited information and are not very helpful. Even before shutting my account on me, I really felt their customer service and the way they run their online portal is just HORRIBLE. It's extremely antiquated. The Old Navy store is a budget store, so they run their credit card in a way that treats everyone like poor, untrustworthy, no frills manner. Save your credit score... PASS on this Credit Card!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Went to use my card online today. Declined. It had a 0 balance. Logged onto the card site to see what was going on. The account has been closed. Called to find out what was going on. First I was told because I didn’t use it. I pointed out we used it in December and paid it off Jan 1 (before it was due.) Was then told they sent me a letter (umm not that I saw). She read it to me over the phone. It was because of derogatory collections or public record on my credit report or high balances on my other cards. I stopped her mid sentence. I pay all my credit cards off every month. I have no collections or public records. I have a damn near perfect credit score (780) and the only installment loan is the same truck I had on there when I applied for the card so the kids could do their own shopping.

She told me to read the letter. I told her (again) I never received the letter. Never made a late payment. Always paid off the balance in full each month. She was rude and not helpful and told me I should pay attention to the letter (again with the mysterious letter). But she did tell me I could reapply If I enjoyed their product. I was floored!!! I am still trying to figure out what the problem was!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

They made a very hard inquiry on my credit history and the customer service is so bad. They keep me waiting on hold for half an hour and the second time when I called the supervisor she kept me on hold for 25 minutes. Her name was Gwen. I think she lied me about her name and the associate who kept me waiting was Joy. I think both of these names are fake... Please never apply for a credit card from Synchrony Bank, Nobody applies for their credit card. That is the reason they collaborate with Old Navy, Wal-Mart and other companies to cheat people, WORST CREDIT CARD... VERY RUDE CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Opened Old Navy credit card in 2016 with a $300 dollar limit. A year later, they lowered my limit to $200 citing my credit report had derogatory information on it. I pulled my credit report and there was not anything different on it then when I first opened the account. I haven't used this credit card that much and when I did, I always paid on time and more than the minimum required. Within 2 weeks of paying the balance off, I received a letter in the mail stating they were closing my account based on the same information they used to justify lowering my credit limit less than 2 months ago. The same bank that owns Old Navy credit card also owns Amazon Credit Card and Walmart. Both accounts have now lowered my credit limits. My credit has not changed since opening these accounts last year. I am done with Synchrony Bank owned credit cards and I will certainly never shop at Old Navy again. This can't be legal what they are doing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Their online login to make payments is terrible. I registered with all my confidential and bank information to make a payment and the computer stated it was rejected!!! The telephone # on my Statement was also worthless as all it said when I called it was sales pitch for a cell phone company and a satellite company. Finally, I looked up Old Navy online and found a usable telephone number to call (1-877-282-6868) and a young man answered and verified the payment I had recently made had been registered and approved! He also verified their online registration has NOT been updated in a while! This Company needs to check their Websites AND update the telephone number appearing on their monthly statements!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I love shopping with this card. The discounts and rewards you get are amazing. I'm using this card from close to 3 years now and it's all worth it. The good thing about this card is it covers variety of clothing and you can use card across their brands and be rewarded. Also couple of time in a year they will come with the offer of spending out of the brands and be rewarded 3-10 points per dollar and of course that helps you accumulate lot of points and shop really expensive clothes in a very reasonable price. I have already recommended to several of my friends. Happy shopping. :)

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I got an online notice saying that my credit card bill was due. I went online to try to pay it. I apparently had the wrong user name and/password so I tried to reset them. Impossible. The site has no place to look for help, no way to reset your information without the original id and pw. I'm forced to go to pay my bill at the store. I will never use this card again. It's not user friendly, not easy to pay and impossible to find any help.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I’ve had Gap. For two years payments always on time but because I ran in difficulties my payments were returned once or twice and they closed my account. I didn’t get a letter in the mail. No notifications about returned payments and consequences. The representative just told me my account was closed. I had to log in online to find out about my card. This is unacceptable and unprofessional for such a big company like this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

DO NOT GET A SYNCHRONY OLD NAVY CARD!!! - Worst card ever!!! I used it a few times and paid the balance off right away each time. I haven't used it for the past couple of months because I have other cards with a high balance and didn't want to make it worse. Plus Old Navy doesn't always have the best options. I started with a $400 balance which after a month was increased to $600. So I'm thinking about using it to get some dress pants when all of a sudden I receive an email from Experian stating that an account had been closed. So I go to check and see ** Old Navy closed my account and because I'm away at work. I won't find out why until I reach home next week. Apparently they sent a letter out which should be arriving. Yea OK. Now my utilization rate is even higher because my available credit just dropped by $600. **. I'm never shopping with any of their companies ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Worst card ever! I only had the card for the less than a year, $300 dollar limit, never late on payments and kept my balance under $150. I received an email from Experian that I had a credit decrease and since I have 4 other major credit cards in good standing I didn't know what was going on. Logged into my Experian account and found out it was from them. I had read this before from others but I didn't think it would happen to me. No notice from them or anything. I am paying them off and never using them again. As a result of that decrease my credit score dropped unnecessarily.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

This company cares nothing about their customers. I had a $2500 credit limit on this card. I ALWAYS paid on time. One Friday, I made a payment, but it did not register, so I paid again as it usually registers automatically. On Monday, I was charged twice, so my bank had to do a stop payment. For this, Old Navy closed my account and gave me a late charge. They refused to reopen my account without a letter from my bank. My bank refused. It has been a terrible experience. Lesson learned. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My account was closed without notification. I used the card about 6 months ago and paid the balance off by the next statement. Never late. After emailing I was told it was for non-payment. I replied with the facts and then was told it was for inactivity. I replied again... I was told they re-ran my credit report and decided to close the account. My credit score didn't change - so I find this very interesting. I believe closed accounts appear negatively on credit reports so my attorney will be filing a dispute. I am curious to hear what their response will be this time. Possibly going out of business? It would make sense to close all accounts that owe nothing so no new charges were made... Possibly writing them off? So confusing and bad business. I will never shop with them - or any of their affiliates again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I applied for an Old Navy card and received a lousy $200 limit. I've had the card for approximately one year. I have 9 other credit cards through Synchrony Bank and as I made a payment I got the message that said account has been closed to purchases! I did not realize that a payment had been returned from the bank due to bank error. There was no one to speak to about this or to try to reinstate the card. I was told that I could apply again. At this point I will never shop at Old Navy, Gap or Banana Republic. They should at least forewarn their customers that their accounts are in danger of being closed... Synchrony Bank is the worst!!!!

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have Old Navy and Gap for few months now. Both have a limit of 300$. Other Synchrony cards such as Walmart for 3500. Today I say enough of this limit. Online requested more on Gap and get a big fat 200$. Then try Old Navy thinking maybe another 200$ but instead declined. Get on phone to rep who by the way is in India. Pleaded cause which was soft pull. Granted 1,000. Go online to see if change was reflected. Change reflected Old Navy. Gap 200$. Disappeared. If it was not so pathetic it would be funny. Get on phone back to India. Someone else who says, “Wait for denial letter then call us.” I say denial? Do you understand I was granted 200$ on Gap and now it is gone. “Write us letter” he says. No thank you. I spent more than the card is worth trying to figure this out. I owe 95$. I will pay and cancel card. What a fiasco. If anyone request CLI over phone ask for soft pull and if granted keep your eyes on cash. Might disappeared if granted online.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Just adding on to everyone else's horrid experiences with Old Navy and Synchrony Bank. I was given runaround by online chat representative for 25 minutes, I asked many, many times to speak to a supervisor, because they charged me a late fee for purchases last month even though this was the first bill I'd received. I always pay my bill in full when I receive it, and ONLY have the credit card because I'm supposed to get discounts/deals if I use it. With no questions or arguments, the first online chat rep said they would credit me the late fee of $25. I told him I didn't want a credit, because that means I only get my money back by buying more from Old Navy; if this is the way they do business (which it clearly is based on so many others' experiences), I will not spend any more money there.

Eventually he agreed to connect me via online chat with a "manager" whose name was "Peyton **" Peyton ** greeted me by name, I greeted him back, then I waited. After 7 minutes of being told I was connected to a representative, suddenly it said, "The session has ended," and indeed, I was disconnected. After that hour-plus of wasted time, I called the customer service number. I was denied contact with a supervisor for at least 20 minutes, told they could not give me any more information about the person I was speaking to at Synchrony Bank other than his first name, supposedly "Tennyson," and that he could not give me the name, or even a phone number or location for a supervisor, if he did ever connect me with one.

I waited for 28 minutes on hold for a supervisor, and finally got "Clyde." He was rude, told me he didn't know anything about my complaint/call, that he couldn't see any notes on my account about what was going on, and couldn't even pull up the "reference number" given to me by the online chat rep. What became clear is that Old Navy makes it a practice of charging everyone late fees, and only reversing them if someone is willing to waste 2 hours disputing them.

The supervisor "Clyde" also started out by immediately saying I hadn't been speaking to anyone at Synchrony Bank in my online chat, but to Old Navy, so that was why he didn't know what my complaint was about. I read to him from the transcript of my online chat, and only then did he acknowledge that maybe I had spoken to Synchrony. AS soon as I get my late fee refunded, I am closing my account. DO NOT get a credit card from this company! I am lucky because we have really good credit, but I still have to check to see if this experience has affected my credit score.

Original review: April 20, 2017

The only reason I opened this card is because my mom basically kept pushing for me to get it because we shop there often and would make paying more convenient. I was reluctant but I'm only 20 and this is my first ever credit card. To be honest, if I had just read this review prior I would most likely have shown this site to her. I've paid most of my monthly payments on time or ahead of time, but I just find it a bit frustrating but there's these stupid interest charges of almost $6 every month, and to me $6 can be so crucial as a student.

I've been getting them on my statements even when I've been paying on time, and it just seems like I'm not even buying a lot but somehow my balance doesn't even feel like it's going down. To sum it up, I'm really considering cancelling this card once I pay it off. I think my mom might be mad if I do, but I've been the only one paying this card off with my work study money, which honestly does not reach very far, and I hate the idea that I sometimes struggle with paying other necessities or even saving money because I have to pay into this stupid card.

Original review: April 14, 2017

Synchrony Bank is holding erroneous "pending charges" for an indefinite amount of time which adversely affects your credit score. The customer service reps I spoke to today - Jasmine in the United States and Ryan in the Philippines - tried in earnest to play semantics with me, completely disregarding my concerns over the manner in which my credit score is being adversely affected because of Old Navy billing errors. Though the reps tried repeatedly to push the responsibility of the pending charges BACK onto Old Navy, as the card issuer Synchrony Bank has an obligation to address cardholder concerns and remove double charges or initiate the dispute charges as soon as Synchrony is notified that the amount reported on a statement is erroneous - regardless of whether or not the charge is pending or completed.

The fact that I had to waste over an hour of my time explaining this matter to three different people (recording each conversation in its entirety) and received semantic static from two of the three would be hilarious if not for the fact that wasted time is EXPENSIVE. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Synchrony Bank is required to report FACTUAL information to the credit reporting agencies that impacts cardholder's credit scores. That they allow cardholder's credit scores to be negatively impacted because of Old Navy billing errors and then try to dismiss cardholder's concerns about credit score adversity is nothing short of outrageous. As I was trying to argue my case I started to feel as though a scam was being perpetrated by Synchrony. And yes, they especially do not like it when you pay off your balance in FULL every billing cycle.

As you can see from the screenshots, the amount pending is dated April 8, 2017. The order in question shipped on April 9, 2017. I was overcharged for one transaction and then subsequently double billed. This adversely affected my credit score. Though Ryan and Jasmine tried in earnest to suggest the double charge would be removed by midnight tonight they still continued to exacerbate the issue by not offering to notify the credit reporting agencies that the double billing issue was the fault of Old Navy. Instead of hiring people who try in vain to condescend consumers and cardholders, Synchrony should hire US citizens who actually know the law (FCRA specifically) and address concerned without engaging in semantics and hypotheticals.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have had an Old Navy card for a few years. I started with $300 limit. Then they bumped me up to $700. Within a month or so they lowered me to $500, no explanation. I just logged on to make this month's payment (due on 5/1) and they have lowered me to $250.00 (when they lower the credit limit it affects your credit score by now having high utilization. Owning over 50% of your balance). I have been 1 day late 1 time. I have always paid double the minimum due. I have 2 other cards with Synchrony with no issues. It doesn't make sense. When I contact Old Navy, they only refer me to a letter that I never got. I explained that I didn't get a letter only to be told to "REFER TO THE LETTER WE SENT YOU". This is a shame. Everyone I know will hear about this treatment.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Every time I call to pay my bill or update information your automated system is ridiculous. It can not understand what I am saying or vice versa so I end up having to talk to a representative. I try to update my account information today with a change of address and nobody could help me. I've done it before and it was easy and simple and today I was given the runaround. Ridiculous! I just updated my information for another credit card over the phone and it took me less than a minute to do. I don't understand why it was Old Navy. It is so difficult to get this done. Nobody seems to be able to help me but yet collected all my information including the new address, but still would not update the information. I will no longer be a customer at Old Navy after I get this outrageous card bill paid off, which by the way your interest rate is through the roof. Unreasonable!

Old Navy Credit Card Company Information