Old Navy Credit Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I applied for an Old Navy card and received a lousy $200 limit. I've had the card for approximately one year. I have 9 other credit cards through Synchrony Bank and as I made a payment I got the message that said account has been closed to purchases! I did not realize that a payment had been returned from the bank due to bank error. There was no one to speak to about this or to try to reinstate the card. I was told that I could apply again. At this point I will never shop at Old Navy, Gap or Banana Republic. They should at least forewarn their customers that their accounts are in danger of being closed... Synchrony Bank is the worst!!!!

I have Old Navy and Gap for few months now. Both have a limit of 300$. Other Synchrony cards such as Walmart for 3500. Today I say enough of this limit. Online requested more on Gap and get a big fat 200$. Then try Old Navy thinking maybe another 200$ but instead declined. Get on phone to rep who by the way is in India. Pleaded cause which was soft pull. Granted 1,000. Go online to see if change was reflected. Change reflected Old Navy. Gap 200$. Disappeared. If it was not so pathetic it would be funny. Get on phone back to India. Someone else who says, “Wait for denial letter then call us.” I say denial? Do you understand I was granted 200$ on Gap and now it is gone. “Write us letter” he says. No thank you. I spent more than the card is worth trying to figure this out. I owe 95$. I will pay and cancel card. What a fiasco. If anyone request CLI over phone ask for soft pull and if granted keep your eyes on cash. Might disappeared if granted online.

Just adding on to everyone else's horrid experiences with Old Navy and Synchrony Bank. I was given runaround by online chat representative for 25 minutes, I asked many, many times to speak to a supervisor, because they charged me a late fee for purchases last month even though this was the first bill I'd received. I always pay my bill in full when I receive it, and ONLY have the credit card because I'm supposed to get discounts/deals if I use it. With no questions or arguments, the first online chat rep said they would credit me the late fee of $25. I told him I didn't want a credit, because that means I only get my money back by buying more from Old Navy; if this is the way they do business (which it clearly is based on so many others' experiences), I will not spend any more money there.

Eventually he agreed to connect me via online chat with a "manager" whose name was "Peyton **" Peyton ** greeted me by name, I greeted him back, then I waited. After 7 minutes of being told I was connected to a representative, suddenly it said, "The session has ended," and indeed, I was disconnected. After that hour-plus of wasted time, I called the customer service number. I was denied contact with a supervisor for at least 20 minutes, told they could not give me any more information about the person I was speaking to at Synchrony Bank other than his first name, supposedly "Tennyson," and that he could not give me the name, or even a phone number or location for a supervisor, if he did ever connect me with one.

I waited for 28 minutes on hold for a supervisor, and finally got "Clyde." He was rude, told me he didn't know anything about my complaint/call, that he couldn't see any notes on my account about what was going on, and couldn't even pull up the "reference number" given to me by the online chat rep. What became clear is that Old Navy makes it a practice of charging everyone late fees, and only reversing them if someone is willing to waste 2 hours disputing them.

The supervisor "Clyde" also started out by immediately saying I hadn't been speaking to anyone at Synchrony Bank in my online chat, but to Old Navy, so that was why he didn't know what my complaint was about. I read to him from the transcript of my online chat, and only then did he acknowledge that maybe I had spoken to Synchrony. AS soon as I get my late fee refunded, I am closing my account. DO NOT get a credit card from this company! I am lucky because we have really good credit, but I still have to check to see if this experience has affected my credit score.

The only reason I opened this card is because my mom basically kept pushing for me to get it because we shop there often and would make paying more convenient. I was reluctant but I'm only 20 and this is my first ever credit card. To be honest, if I had just read this review prior I would most likely have shown this site to her. I've paid most of my monthly payments on time or ahead of time, but I just find it a bit frustrating but there's these stupid interest charges of almost $6 every month, and to me $6 can be so crucial as a student.

I've been getting them on my statements even when I've been paying on time, and it just seems like I'm not even buying a lot but somehow my balance doesn't even feel like it's going down. To sum it up, I'm really considering cancelling this card once I pay it off. I think my mom might be mad if I do, but I've been the only one paying this card off with my work study money, which honestly does not reach very far, and I hate the idea that I sometimes struggle with paying other necessities or even saving money because I have to pay into this stupid card.

Synchrony Bank is holding erroneous "pending charges" for an indefinite amount of time which adversely affects your credit score. The customer service reps I spoke to today - Jasmine in the United States and Ryan in the Philippines - tried in earnest to play semantics with me, completely disregarding my concerns over the manner in which my credit score is being adversely affected because of Old Navy billing errors. Though the reps tried repeatedly to push the responsibility of the pending charges BACK onto Old Navy, as the card issuer Synchrony Bank has an obligation to address cardholder concerns and remove double charges or initiate the dispute charges as soon as Synchrony is notified that the amount reported on a statement is erroneous - regardless of whether or not the charge is pending or completed.

The fact that I had to waste over an hour of my time explaining this matter to three different people (recording each conversation in its entirety) and received semantic static from two of the three would be hilarious if not for the fact that wasted time is EXPENSIVE. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Synchrony Bank is required to report FACTUAL information to the credit reporting agencies that impacts cardholder's credit scores. That they allow cardholder's credit scores to be negatively impacted because of Old Navy billing errors and then try to dismiss cardholder's concerns about credit score adversity is nothing short of outrageous. As I was trying to argue my case I started to feel as though a scam was being perpetrated by Synchrony. And yes, they especially do not like it when you pay off your balance in FULL every billing cycle.

As you can see from the screenshots, the amount pending is dated April 8, 2017. The order in question shipped on April 9, 2017. I was overcharged for one transaction and then subsequently double billed. This adversely affected my credit score. Though Ryan and Jasmine tried in earnest to suggest the double charge would be removed by midnight tonight they still continued to exacerbate the issue by not offering to notify the credit reporting agencies that the double billing issue was the fault of Old Navy. Instead of hiring people who try in vain to condescend consumers and cardholders, Synchrony should hire US citizens who actually know the law (FCRA specifically) and address concerned without engaging in semantics and hypotheticals.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Navy?

I have had an Old Navy card for a few years. I started with $300 limit. Then they bumped me up to $700. Within a month or so they lowered me to $500, no explanation. I just logged on to make this month's payment (due on 5/1) and they have lowered me to $250.00 (when they lower the credit limit it affects your credit score by now having high utilization. Owning over 50% of your balance). I have been 1 day late 1 time. I have always paid double the minimum due. I have 2 other cards with Synchrony with no issues. It doesn't make sense. When I contact Old Navy, they only refer me to a letter that I never got. I explained that I didn't get a letter only to be told to "REFER TO THE LETTER WE SENT YOU". This is a shame. Everyone I know will hear about this treatment.

Every time I call to pay my bill or update information your automated system is ridiculous. It can not understand what I am saying or vice versa so I end up having to talk to a representative. I try to update my account information today with a change of address and nobody could help me. I've done it before and it was easy and simple and today I was given the runaround. Ridiculous! I just updated my information for another credit card over the phone and it took me less than a minute to do. I don't understand why it was Old Navy. It is so difficult to get this done. Nobody seems to be able to help me but yet collected all my information including the new address, but still would not update the information. I will no longer be a customer at Old Navy after I get this outrageous card bill paid off, which by the way your interest rate is through the roof. Unreasonable!

I had a $900 limit with a $500 balance. Had NEVER been late with payments and out of the blue my credit limit was lowered to $200 without warning or explanation. I immediately paid the card off and have not shopped in their store or online since.

I used a card at Christmas that was suddenly no longer usable after the holidays even though the expire date was two years down the road. When my card was suddenly declined, I called Old Navy. They said I was using an old card that had been replaced and I should have gotten it in the mail. In fact, I had never received the new card. They offered no explanation and were rather rude and said, "Too bad, you have to wait 7-10 days for another card." Not sure if they are having security issues or what, but it is not good customer service. They need to be more courteous and give a clear explanation about why they reissue cards so frequently and unannounced.

Old Navy closed my account!!! I was making my payment & shopping regularly, then when I called customer care they didn't care about me. I was a good & loyal customer but now I'll never shop there again! I don't have nothing good to say about that company or card!

I'm writing this after a horrible experience last night. I've never had an issue with this card but last night/early this morning while trying to book a hotel overseas for my upcoming travel my card wouldn't go through. So I called, spoke to someone who didn't sound like they were overseas themselves, was able to verify recent purchases and she was able to allow my transaction to go through. Awesome!

2 hours later, while applying for visa for my travel, I was unable to use my card. Called again and was told that I'm unable to use my card until a new one has been activated and I should expect that in 7-10 days. I explained to him that just 2 hours ago and all day long I've been using the card. He said he's not sure how that was possible. I asked to speak to a manager, Jimmy **, got on the phone with me and told me the same thing but was unable to explain to me how this could be. I told him in the past when I've gotten my new card I was able to use my old card until I activated the new one. Long story short, I've always been a loyal customer but this morning I was very unsatisfied with the service and interaction with those two men. I requested my account to be closed and I'll be sure the next card will be with customer service based in United states.

They imposed fraud charges on my credit card of around 19$. I remember they replied - "opening the credit card was totally free at GREAT MALL, Milpitas". They never emailed about late payments. This also affected my credit score. Seriously, this card basically ruined my entire life in US. Please do not get it.

I had a Old Navy credit card for over year. Never paid late. Balance paid in full. They mysteriously closed my card which I embarrassingly found out when I was in the store. They told me it was due to my credit card score has dropped. What I find it odd is that the financial institution they use is Sympathy Bank who also sucks. I have another credit card from Walmart who also goes to Sympathy Bank which they gave me a credit increase. I trying to figure out if it's the same financial institution how did one increase and one decrease around the same time. I know why it's because I use the Walmart card often, and I only use the Old Navy 3 to 4 times a year. They should let people know ahead of time before it is close to your card. For what it's worth I wanted to get the card because of the promotion they had going on that year. Their clothes suck and I would never shop at Old Navy ever again. It's just bad business!!!

I enjoy shopping at Old Navy. I paid off my credit card in 2016. It was affecting my credit score so I brought it down for the time being. In January 2017 went to use it and it was canceled with notification whatsoever. My payments were on time.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Basically, re-instated her card, apologized for "any confusion" but reminded her that can decline it anytime. For some reason, Synchrony bank has a compulsion to periodically flex their muscles to customers.

As long as my 'cards' know I am going out of town, they might put a temporary hold on my card due to suspected fraudulent activity. But the instant I verify a charge(s) they remove the hold and apologize for any inconvenience. In some cases, it is an automated call and after listening to the list of charges I can just enter valid or invalid.

Dale of Clovis, CA on

Original Review

My wife got great deals at Old Navy stores, using her Old Navy card. But almost every 6 to 8 weeks Synchrony Bank would decline her card, saying there appeared to be a suspicious charge, discussed it with her a while, then said her card will be activated anywhere from a few hours to a few days! Sometimes this would happen when shopping away from our city, which is not unusual in itself, but instead of having her verify her charges one by one they would just block the card and ask her to call them.

Now they say she does not have enough good credit and they want to see she has more accounts in her name. I spent an hour on the computer and downloaded all the accounts with her name, or mine combined. They also want her phone number to be activated as a secure contact source with only her name associated with the same phone number. We just switched to T-Mobile, and bought 2 lines. They used my name on both lines. I spent 5 minutes on the T-Mobile site and got her number associated with her name, no one else. This whole ordeal is bordering on harassment. She plans to finish paying off this card then cancel. Terrible service.

Collections? I don't even have an account yet. They've been calling me at least twice a day for at least two months! I have never even set foot in an Old Navy store ever. Tried getting someone on the phone with no success either. :(

I had an Old Navy card.... Thought I STILL had an Old Navy, until I went to use in the store recently. I don't "make payments" on my credit cards, I pay them off - each and every month. Yet, for some unknown reason, my account had been closed.The clerk thought maybe it had been a while since I'd used it (it hadn't - less than 6 months). I went through the system at the counter to "re-activate" my card only to find out during refinancing my home a few weeks later, that what they had actually done was run my credit and open a new account. I've got an excellent credit score, but still took a hit because of this. Was it worth it? Nah...the % off and the $35 coupon weren't worth it. I'll keep it open for now (assuming they don't randomly close it again). But don't think I'll use it much as I get better cash back with my regular Visa card.

I hardly ever used my Old Navy credit card, maybe 3 times a year and always paid my balance off at the end of the month. Went to make a purchase today and my card was declined. I didn't take it too seriously. I called Old Navy credit card, and just assumed it was a mistake that could be quickly and easily corrected. To my surprise my account was closed in October. Wow! Zero advance notice. I was told it was due to my credit score. Funny how I was able to buy a car with zero money down and low interest, purchase a phone with zero deposits, and obtain additional revolving credit since October. Yet Old Navy has a problem with my score. The way they treat customers is disgusting. I will no longer shop at Old Navy or any affiliated stores and I will be informing everyone I know about my experience.

The worst credit card. They would affect your credit. Be smart and don't apply for old navy credit card. They will close your account without any notification or explanation and then your credit score will drop. They did it to me.

0 stars!!! I'm trying to rebuild my credit so I applied for this Old Navy card. I was only given a $200 limit but I was happy with that. After a few months I will received a letter saying they were decreasing my limit, die to my credit score, they lowered it to 100. I continue to make on-time payments, paid it off then my account was closed. Again because my credit score, they never told me they were going to keep running my credit score, it was never mentioned that they would be making these inquiries on my credit. I called them, they said it was a requirement to have a certain score. I explained I was rebuilding. They didn't care, they said nothing they could do, it was up to their discretion. I've stop shopping at Old Navy, if you can treat your loyal customers like this I want no part. Take your card and shove it!!!

If I could have given this credit card company no stars I would have. My credit line was decreased without a letter being sent out to notify me of this change, all because I have not used my card for a few months. I think this CEO can go rot for treating card holders this way. Their clothes suck and are not even good quality. It's sad that the consumers are the ones that suffer from a unprofessional lack of communication.

I've been having problems with my card Old Navy Credit Card since August 2016. My auto payments started being kicked back in August. I had auto payments set-up just in-case I forgot making a payment. So, in August I got a late payment and made a payment on my own over the computer and it went through. From then on our I was making payments every month on my own and they would go through but my auto was still getting denied. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and didn't understand what was going on. I called them and went over account info with them which was correct and they were a joke. They were still receiving hundreds of dollars in payments from me every month. They closed my acct due to lack of payment even though I made almost $500 payments in 2 months.

I called them back and they told me I had to prove my bank acct was correct. I had gone to the bank and got a letter saying clearly my acct hasn't changed and I've had the same one for years. I attached that to a letter from myself with whats going on and listed the payments that did go through. I didn't hear anything so 2 weeks later I called back and asked what was the update to my account and their response was, that's not enough info. I have to write a letter about what happened. I told them "I did that if you clearly look at all pages I sent." It's November and still not cleared up with about 5 phone calls to them and 2 stops to my bank. I paid them off in October and will never use them again! I dont want this to affect my credit card score more that it is and I want my Old Navy Cash of about $40!

This company is horrible. I sent them a check for over 1800 from an escrow account. After several collection call messages left on my voice mail I realized something was wrong. After being on hold for what seemed like years I finally decided to use the chat online feature. I was told the check never arrived. After verifying with escrow the check was never cashed, I had the check canceled and a new one issued. I confirmed the address, got the new check and sent it that same day. Two weeks later the collection calls started again. Connected to chat and again was told the check never arrived. Unbelievable. They told me to fax over a request along with documentation. I won't hold my breath. After seeing all of the online complaints why is this company allowed to continue Operations?

Dropped my credit down for no reason. I was never late and always early in payments. However, I didn't use it every month nor did I max it out. Awful card, high rates, and TERRIBLE clothing. Overpriced and overrated.

I recently got married and lost my old navy card with all the stress and moving around. I requested a new one and they locked me out of my account online access. So I ended up missing a payment because everything I do is online. I do not request paper statements. I paid the $88.00 as soon as I received my new card and they LOWERED my credit limit back to 300.00 without notice. WORSE CARD EVER!!!

Two days ago I received a bill from Visa Old Navy from July 22nd. That day I paid with my bank debit card and opened but did not use the Old Navy card. When I called the Visa Old Navy that I was charged on their account that was not activated. The customer service stated that I would either have to fax or mail proof of the receipt from my debit card. When I asked about such an inconvenience for me as the customer to fax or mail them that they would offer a gift card, the customer service stated they could not do anything. Needless to say I closed the Old Navy Visa account and would not use. They already made a mistake of billing me when I already paid, what other mistakes would happen! #dontopenvisaoldnavyaccount

I signed up for an Old Navy card but I immediately regret it. I never used it, never activated my account and I still got some mysterious fees accrued on my account that I never got alerted of. You should only be charged if you actually activated your card in my opinion. I'm going to cancel it as soon as possible.

Started out with a good/excellent credit score. The Old Navy employee straight up lied to me in order to persuade me to open a card, and once I did and took a look at the receipt, called her out on it, wherein she back peddled and now I can't do anything about it. My credit score dropped TWENTY-NINE (29) points because of this one card. Paid it off, and will be canceling it immediately. The moron who opened it also put my Birthday in wrong, so I had to go through an entire BS process with corporate just to pay off my card.

I was approved for some credit and I purchased clothes. I waited on an invoice for months. There was no paperwork on how much to pay or anything. All of a sudden it goes to collections. Severely poor customer service.

Customer service. If you try to pay your Old Navy card online, it is the worst experience to try and pay your card. It's like they do not want you to pay your card so synchrony credit is responsible for their customer service which I feel they must hire the low-end of people. They are rude, disgusting, will not help you. I going to tear.

Old Navy Credit Card Company Profile