1.28/5
Based on 74 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 19, 2018

79 Old Navy Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2018

I have never been so disappointed. I typically shop each season, as my children are constantly growing. I typically make payments on my account. However, after paying my account balance in full and getting ready to begin shopping in a couple of weeks, I receive a letter stating that my account is closed (after the fact). It later says that it is due to inactivity. I contacted the customer service center and explained the situation as this isn't my 1st time shopping seasonally and they couldn't do anything about it. Then they explained that I can open only 1 account (Old Navy/Gap) in a 12 month period. Might I add, THEY CLOSED BOTH OF MY ACCOUNTS WITHOUT NOTICE! I will not shop at Old Navy or Gap again, this is bad business and bad customer service.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I typically only shop Old Navy in the fall & spring... Great summer clothes for kiddos. However I went to go purchase their summer wardrobes and was told my card wasn’t valid. Out of nowhere they shut it down for inactivity. "6 months of non-use," they say! Also to do so without notification, just seems like poor business. I may not be your everyday shopper but you’d think that you’d want the business regardless. Oh well... Guess I’ll be buying their summer clothes elsewhere from now on.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have had an Old Navy Card for many years and NEVER once late on a payment, as a matter of fact most of the time I paid my payment in full! I also have other cards with Synchrony Bank and have had no issues with them or lowered balances. I have a both a car loan and a car lease with BMW with both perfectly paid on time, we own our home with no mortgage as we paid that in full also! I also have owned my own business since 2011 with my business credit in very good standing. Hmmm...but they felt the need to cancel my card because I am a credit risk? Really, with every single payment made on time every single month, both myself and my husband having very good incomes and always paying our finances on time every single month. I am very confused...maybe I should have been late so they could have made extra fees off of me.

I even ran all 3 of my annual credit reports just to make sure I was not missing something because I am that paranoid about making sure all my payments are made on time and all was great along with my credit score. Not a credit card company I would ever recommend and this is coming from a upper middle class homeowner and business owner with a very good credit standing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The Old Navy credit card has a good rewards dollars program, but everything else about this credit card is the WORST EVER!!! With ZERO notice, I found out they suddenly closed my credit account. Our bank account had fraud, so there was a delay in the auto-pay, so Old Navy immediately just closed the account! I have excellent credit, a long history of credit cards in excellent standing. This is a horrible way to conduct business.

This shouldn't surprise me because their customer service is TERRIBLE! If you opt for paper statements, you CANNOT view your account history or account statements online. The company they use to when you call customer service has very limited information and are not very helpful. Even before shutting my account on me, I really felt their customer service and the way they run their online portal is just HORRIBLE. It's extremely antiquated. The Old Navy store is a budget store, so they run their credit card in a way that treats everyone like poor, untrustworthy, no frills manner. Save your credit score... PASS on this Credit Card!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Went to use my card online today. Declined. It had a 0 balance. Logged onto the card site to see what was going on. The account has been closed. Called to find out what was going on. First I was told because I didn’t use it. I pointed out we used it in December and paid it off Jan 1 (before it was due.) Was then told they sent me a letter (umm not that I saw). She read it to me over the phone. It was because of derogatory collections or public record on my credit report or high balances on my other cards. I stopped her mid sentence. I pay all my credit cards off every month. I have no collections or public records. I have a damn near perfect credit score (780) and the only installment loan is the same truck I had on there when I applied for the card so the kids could do their own shopping.

She told me to read the letter. I told her (again) I never received the letter. Never made a late payment. Always paid off the balance in full each month. She was rude and not helpful and told me I should pay attention to the letter (again with the mysterious letter). But she did tell me I could reapply If I enjoyed their product. I was floored!!! I am still trying to figure out what the problem was!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Old Navy?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

They made a very hard inquiry on my credit history and the customer service is so bad. They keep me waiting on hold for half an hour and the second time when I called the supervisor she kept me on hold for 25 minutes. Her name was Gwen. I think she lied me about her name and the associate who kept me waiting was Joy. I think both of these names are fake... Please never apply for a credit card from Synchrony Bank, Nobody applies for their credit card. That is the reason they collaborate with Old Navy, Wal-Mart and other companies to cheat people, WORST CREDIT CARD... VERY RUDE CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Opened Old Navy credit card in 2016 with a $300 dollar limit. A year later, they lowered my limit to $200 citing my credit report had derogatory information on it. I pulled my credit report and there was not anything different on it then when I first opened the account. I haven't used this credit card that much and when I did, I always paid on time and more than the minimum required. Within 2 weeks of paying the balance off, I received a letter in the mail stating they were closing my account based on the same information they used to justify lowering my credit limit less than 2 months ago. The same bank that owns Old Navy credit card also owns Amazon Credit Card and Walmart. Both accounts have now lowered my credit limits. My credit has not changed since opening these accounts last year. I am done with Synchrony Bank owned credit cards and I will certainly never shop at Old Navy again. This can't be legal what they are doing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Their online login to make payments is terrible. I registered with all my confidential and bank information to make a payment and the computer stated it was rejected!!! The telephone # on my Statement was also worthless as all it said when I called it was sales pitch for a cell phone company and a satellite company. Finally, I looked up Old Navy online and found a usable telephone number to call (1-877-282-6868) and a young man answered and verified the payment I had recently made had been registered and approved! He also verified their online registration has NOT been updated in a while! This Company needs to check their Websites AND update the telephone number appearing on their monthly statements!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I love shopping with this card. The discounts and rewards you get are amazing. I'm using this card from close to 3 years now and it's all worth it. The good thing about this card is it covers variety of clothing and you can use card across their brands and be rewarded. Also couple of time in a year they will come with the offer of spending out of the brands and be rewarded 3-10 points per dollar and of course that helps you accumulate lot of points and shop really expensive clothes in a very reasonable price. I have already recommended to several of my friends. Happy shopping. :)

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I got an online notice saying that my credit card bill was due. I went online to try to pay it. I apparently had the wrong user name and/password so I tried to reset them. Impossible. The site has no place to look for help, no way to reset your information without the original id and pw. I'm forced to go to pay my bill at the store. I will never use this card again. It's not user friendly, not easy to pay and impossible to find any help.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I’ve had Gap. For two years payments always on time but because I ran in difficulties my payments were returned once or twice and they closed my account. I didn’t get a letter in the mail. No notifications about returned payments and consequences. The representative just told me my account was closed. I had to log in online to find out about my card. This is unacceptable and unprofessional for such a big company like this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

DO NOT GET A SYNCHRONY OLD NAVY CARD!!! - Worst card ever!!! I used it a few times and paid the balance off right away each time. I haven't used it for the past couple of months because I have other cards with a high balance and didn't want to make it worse. Plus Old Navy doesn't always have the best options. I started with a $400 balance which after a month was increased to $600. So I'm thinking about using it to get some dress pants when all of a sudden I receive an email from Experian stating that an account had been closed. So I go to check and see ** Old Navy closed my account and because I'm away at work. I won't find out why until I reach home next week. Apparently they sent a letter out which should be arriving. Yea OK. Now my utilization rate is even higher because my available credit just dropped by $600. **. I'm never shopping with any of their companies ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Worst card ever! I only had the card for the less than a year, $300 dollar limit, never late on payments and kept my balance under $150. I received an email from Experian that I had a credit decrease and since I have 4 other major credit cards in good standing I didn't know what was going on. Logged into my Experian account and found out it was from them. I had read this before from others but I didn't think it would happen to me. No notice from them or anything. I am paying them off and never using them again. As a result of that decrease my credit score dropped unnecessarily.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

This company cares nothing about their customers. I had a $2500 credit limit on this card. I ALWAYS paid on time. One Friday, I made a payment, but it did not register, so I paid again as it usually registers automatically. On Monday, I was charged twice, so my bank had to do a stop payment. For this, Old Navy closed my account and gave me a late charge. They refused to reopen my account without a letter from my bank. My bank refused. It has been a terrible experience. Lesson learned. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

My account was closed without notification. I used the card about 6 months ago and paid the balance off by the next statement. Never late. After emailing I was told it was for non-payment. I replied with the facts and then was told it was for inactivity. I replied again... I was told they re-ran my credit report and decided to close the account. My credit score didn't change - so I find this very interesting. I believe closed accounts appear negatively on credit reports so my attorney will be filing a dispute. I am curious to hear what their response will be this time. Possibly going out of business? It would make sense to close all accounts that owe nothing so no new charges were made... Possibly writing them off? So confusing and bad business. I will never shop with them - or any of their affiliates again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I applied for an Old Navy card and received a lousy $200 limit. I've had the card for approximately one year. I have 9 other credit cards through Synchrony Bank and as I made a payment I got the message that said account has been closed to purchases! I did not realize that a payment had been returned from the bank due to bank error. There was no one to speak to about this or to try to reinstate the card. I was told that I could apply again. At this point I will never shop at Old Navy, Gap or Banana Republic. They should at least forewarn their customers that their accounts are in danger of being closed... Synchrony Bank is the worst!!!!

Original review: June 10, 2017

I have Old Navy and Gap for few months now. Both have a limit of 300$. Other Synchrony cards such as Walmart for 3500. Today I say enough of this limit. Online requested more on Gap and get a big fat 200$. Then try Old Navy thinking maybe another 200$ but instead declined. Get on phone to rep who by the way is in India. Pleaded cause which was soft pull. Granted 1,000. Go online to see if change was reflected. Change reflected Old Navy. Gap 200$. Disappeared. If it was not so pathetic it would be funny. Get on phone back to India. Someone else who says, “Wait for denial letter then call us.” I say denial? Do you understand I was granted 200$ on Gap and now it is gone. “Write us letter” he says. No thank you. I spent more than the card is worth trying to figure this out. I owe 95$. I will pay and cancel card. What a fiasco. If anyone request CLI over phone ask for soft pull and if granted keep your eyes on cash. Might disappeared if granted online.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Just adding on to everyone else's horrid experiences with Old Navy and Synchrony Bank. I was given runaround by online chat representative for 25 minutes, I asked many, many times to speak to a supervisor, because they charged me a late fee for purchases last month even though this was the first bill I'd received. I always pay my bill in full when I receive it, and ONLY have the credit card because I'm supposed to get discounts/deals if I use it. With no questions or arguments, the first online chat rep said they would credit me the late fee of $25. I told him I didn't want a credit, because that means I only get my money back by buying more from Old Navy; if this is the way they do business (which it clearly is based on so many others' experiences), I will not spend any more money there.

Eventually he agreed to connect me via online chat with a "manager" whose name was "Peyton **" Peyton ** greeted me by name, I greeted him back, then I waited. After 7 minutes of being told I was connected to a representative, suddenly it said, "The session has ended," and indeed, I was disconnected. After that hour-plus of wasted time, I called the customer service number. I was denied contact with a supervisor for at least 20 minutes, told they could not give me any more information about the person I was speaking to at Synchrony Bank other than his first name, supposedly "Tennyson," and that he could not give me the name, or even a phone number or location for a supervisor, if he did ever connect me with one.

I waited for 28 minutes on hold for a supervisor, and finally got "Clyde." He was rude, told me he didn't know anything about my complaint/call, that he couldn't see any notes on my account about what was going on, and couldn't even pull up the "reference number" given to me by the online chat rep. What became clear is that Old Navy makes it a practice of charging everyone late fees, and only reversing them if someone is willing to waste 2 hours disputing them.

The supervisor "Clyde" also started out by immediately saying I hadn't been speaking to anyone at Synchrony Bank in my online chat, but to Old Navy, so that was why he didn't know what my complaint was about. I read to him from the transcript of my online chat, and only then did he acknowledge that maybe I had spoken to Synchrony. AS soon as I get my late fee refunded, I am closing my account. DO NOT get a credit card from this company! I am lucky because we have really good credit, but I still have to check to see if this experience has affected my credit score.

Original review: April 20, 2017

The only reason I opened this card is because my mom basically kept pushing for me to get it because we shop there often and would make paying more convenient. I was reluctant but I'm only 20 and this is my first ever credit card. To be honest, if I had just read this review prior I would most likely have shown this site to her. I've paid most of my monthly payments on time or ahead of time, but I just find it a bit frustrating but there's these stupid interest charges of almost $6 every month, and to me $6 can be so crucial as a student.

I've been getting them on my statements even when I've been paying on time, and it just seems like I'm not even buying a lot but somehow my balance doesn't even feel like it's going down. To sum it up, I'm really considering cancelling this card once I pay it off. I think my mom might be mad if I do, but I've been the only one paying this card off with my work study money, which honestly does not reach very far, and I hate the idea that I sometimes struggle with paying other necessities or even saving money because I have to pay into this stupid card.

Original review: April 14, 2017

Synchrony Bank is holding erroneous "pending charges" for an indefinite amount of time which adversely affects your credit score. The customer service reps I spoke to today - Jasmine in the United States and Ryan in the Philippines - tried in earnest to play semantics with me, completely disregarding my concerns over the manner in which my credit score is being adversely affected because of Old Navy billing errors. Though the reps tried repeatedly to push the responsibility of the pending charges BACK onto Old Navy, as the card issuer Synchrony Bank has an obligation to address cardholder concerns and remove double charges or initiate the dispute charges as soon as Synchrony is notified that the amount reported on a statement is erroneous - regardless of whether or not the charge is pending or completed.

The fact that I had to waste over an hour of my time explaining this matter to three different people (recording each conversation in its entirety) and received semantic static from two of the three would be hilarious if not for the fact that wasted time is EXPENSIVE. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Synchrony Bank is required to report FACTUAL information to the credit reporting agencies that impacts cardholder's credit scores. That they allow cardholder's credit scores to be negatively impacted because of Old Navy billing errors and then try to dismiss cardholder's concerns about credit score adversity is nothing short of outrageous. As I was trying to argue my case I started to feel as though a scam was being perpetrated by Synchrony. And yes, they especially do not like it when you pay off your balance in FULL every billing cycle.

As you can see from the screenshots, the amount pending is dated April 8, 2017. The order in question shipped on April 9, 2017. I was overcharged for one transaction and then subsequently double billed. This adversely affected my credit score. Though Ryan and Jasmine tried in earnest to suggest the double charge would be removed by midnight tonight they still continued to exacerbate the issue by not offering to notify the credit reporting agencies that the double billing issue was the fault of Old Navy. Instead of hiring people who try in vain to condescend consumers and cardholders, Synchrony should hire US citizens who actually know the law (FCRA specifically) and address concerned without engaging in semantics and hypotheticals.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have had an Old Navy card for a few years. I started with $300 limit. Then they bumped me up to $700. Within a month or so they lowered me to $500, no explanation. I just logged on to make this month's payment (due on 5/1) and they have lowered me to $250.00 (when they lower the credit limit it affects your credit score by now having high utilization. Owning over 50% of your balance). I have been 1 day late 1 time. I have always paid double the minimum due. I have 2 other cards with Synchrony with no issues. It doesn't make sense. When I contact Old Navy, they only refer me to a letter that I never got. I explained that I didn't get a letter only to be told to "REFER TO THE LETTER WE SENT YOU". This is a shame. Everyone I know will hear about this treatment.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Every time I call to pay my bill or update information your automated system is ridiculous. It can not understand what I am saying or vice versa so I end up having to talk to a representative. I try to update my account information today with a change of address and nobody could help me. I've done it before and it was easy and simple and today I was given the runaround. Ridiculous! I just updated my information for another credit card over the phone and it took me less than a minute to do. I don't understand why it was Old Navy. It is so difficult to get this done. Nobody seems to be able to help me but yet collected all my information including the new address, but still would not update the information. I will no longer be a customer at Old Navy after I get this outrageous card bill paid off, which by the way your interest rate is through the roof. Unreasonable!

Original review: March 18, 2017

I had a $900 limit with a $500 balance. Had NEVER been late with payments and out of the blue my credit limit was lowered to $200 without warning or explanation. I immediately paid the card off and have not shopped in their store or online since.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I used a card at Christmas that was suddenly no longer usable after the holidays even though the expire date was two years down the road. When my card was suddenly declined, I called Old Navy. They said I was using an old card that had been replaced and I should have gotten it in the mail. In fact, I had never received the new card. They offered no explanation and were rather rude and said, "Too bad, you have to wait 7-10 days for another card." Not sure if they are having security issues or what, but it is not good customer service. They need to be more courteous and give a clear explanation about why they reissue cards so frequently and unannounced.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Old Navy closed my account!!! I was making my payment & shopping regularly, then when I called customer care they didn't care about me. I was a good & loyal customer but now I'll never shop there again! I don't have nothing good to say about that company or card!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I'm writing this after a horrible experience last night. I've never had an issue with this card but last night/early this morning while trying to book a hotel overseas for my upcoming travel my card wouldn't go through. So I called, spoke to someone who didn't sound like they were overseas themselves, was able to verify recent purchases and she was able to allow my transaction to go through. Awesome!

2 hours later, while applying for visa for my travel, I was unable to use my card. Called again and was told that I'm unable to use my card until a new one has been activated and I should expect that in 7-10 days. I explained to him that just 2 hours ago and all day long I've been using the card. He said he's not sure how that was possible. I asked to speak to a manager, Jimmy **, got on the phone with me and told me the same thing but was unable to explain to me how this could be. I told him in the past when I've gotten my new card I was able to use my old card until I activated the new one. Long story short, I've always been a loyal customer but this morning I was very unsatisfied with the service and interaction with those two men. I requested my account to be closed and I'll be sure the next card will be with customer service based in United states.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

They imposed fraud charges on my credit card of around 19$. I remember they replied - "opening the credit card was totally free at GREAT MALL, Milpitas". They never emailed about late payments. This also affected my credit score. Seriously, this card basically ruined my entire life in US. Please do not get it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I had a Old Navy credit card for over year. Never paid late. Balance paid in full. They mysteriously closed my card which I embarrassingly found out when I was in the store. They told me it was due to my credit card score has dropped. What I find it odd is that the financial institution they use is Sympathy Bank who also sucks. I have another credit card from Walmart who also goes to Sympathy Bank which they gave me a credit increase. I trying to figure out if it's the same financial institution how did one increase and one decrease around the same time. I know why it's because I use the Walmart card often, and I only use the Old Navy 3 to 4 times a year. They should let people know ahead of time before it is close to your card. For what it's worth I wanted to get the card because of the promotion they had going on that year. Their clothes suck and I would never shop at Old Navy ever again. It's just bad business!!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I enjoy shopping at Old Navy. I paid off my credit card in 2016. It was affecting my credit score so I brought it down for the time being. In January 2017 went to use it and it was canceled with notification whatsoever. My payments were on time.

Resolution response: Feb. 6, 2017

Basically, re-instated her card, apologized for "any confusion" but reminded her that can decline it anytime. For some reason, Synchrony bank has a compulsion to periodically flex their muscles to customers.

As long as my 'cards' know I am going out of town, they might put a temporary hold on my card due to suspected fraudulent activity. But the instant I verify a charge(s) they remove the hold and apologize for any inconvenience. In some cases, it is an automated call and after listening to the list of charges I can just enter valid or invalid.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

My wife got great deals at Old Navy stores, using her Old Navy card. But almost every 6 to 8 weeks Synchrony Bank would decline her card, saying there appeared to be a suspicious charge, discussed it with her a while, then said her card will be activated anywhere from a few hours to a few days! Sometimes this would happen when shopping away from our city, which is not unusual in itself, but instead of having her verify her charges one by one they would just block the card and ask her to call them.

Now they say she does not have enough good credit and they want to see she has more accounts in her name. I spent an hour on the computer and downloaded all the accounts with her name, or mine combined. They also want her phone number to be activated as a secure contact source with only her name associated with the same phone number. We just switched to T-Mobile, and bought 2 lines. They used my name on both lines. I spent 5 minutes on the T-Mobile site and got her number associated with her name, no one else. This whole ordeal is bordering on harassment. She plans to finish paying off this card then cancel. Terrible service.

Old Navy Credit Card Company Information