Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
GM Credit Card
3.46/5

GM Credit Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

GM Credit Card Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I was checking out on a online web site and entered all the required information to charge to my Capital One GM card and submitted to close out and my card was refused. This was the second time within 1 week. I have had this card for over 20 years and have never been refused. I don't even carry a balance. I have several hundred dollars to put on a new vehicle but I am about to tell them to stick the card where the sun don't shine, but Christmas shopping is getting close and I always use it. I am beginning to believe they don't want my business. I never had a problem until Capital One took over. I also have a friend who is trying to get his card activated for use and has been refused. He was provided the card after he applied for it. What kind of company is this?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Tried to buy 4 NEW tires at a GM dealership using my GM card. Card not used for years. Very low limit. Only needed $200 to complete sale. I am not primary cardholder... husband (age 80) is. Gave all info. re. husband. Tire's a gift for our 50th wedding anniversary. Refused to extend credit for one sale. Using GM card entitled me to DOUBLE rebate, adding another $70 to current rebate. Feel GM did not want to pay me extra rebate, so refused to accept card. How is anyone supposed to buy 4 Michelin tires for under $1000.00?

Very disappointed in GM. Thought they were better than this. Guess not. Spoke to two women who said they were supervisors. Don't think they were. They were too hesitant in making up their answers. They wanted to call my husband on the phone to verify. NOTE... were TOLD he is EIGHTY years old, and was told we NEVER talk to anyone on the phone about credit cards. Why would they ask such a thing? They said to "buy just two tires", "make partial payment on the card". Feel they just did not want to give me the DOUBLE REBATE I WAS ENTITLED TO. Cancelled whole transaction with the GM card, and put it on my Sam's Club card, with no questions asked. Question... why do you have a "promotion" and fail to honor it? Will be sending in rebate form, as instructed by my GM dealer. I hope to get the full, double, rebate, even though I was NOT ALLOWED to use the GM card for the transaction.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had a GM MasterCard for over 25 years. It has recently been changed to Capital One for servicing. I buy 2 new cars every year and use my Gm points. Every year for the past 4 years within 1 week after making my vehicle purchase I have received a bonus voucher for $750.00 to $1,000.00 to add to my existing points. I then call to ask if they will credit the bonus to me for my next purchase and they say no. Any bonus that comes within days of you buying the car should be given to you. That's how any other merchants handle these issues.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Six Months Later, Waiting for my $200 Tire Rebate from Cap. One - Horrible experience. The worst. I fully complied with the Terms of the Rebate Program (they have mailed me the same offer since I submitted) and I have had to make numerous calls to Certified Service/GM Card and my Cadillac Dealership to contact their Rep. to be deterred several times due to errors on their end. When I finally did get a rebate, two weeks ago, it was half of the amount (only $100) so I needed to start all over again and chase what they offered me to begin with. I called them today and the Service Manager of the dealership again today. Reckon that I have made at least 20 calls already. Not kind to do one's customers.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I only have a $300.00 credit limit on this BuyPower card. I made two payments, one on 6/20/18 and one on 6/21/18. My bill status is $168.00. So they Took both payments out of my bank accounts and then gave me a $0.00 available credit! They said that they need to put a hold on my account to verify payment. Ok, well, when I chatted with someone online, they told me I had to call the number on the back of my card. I did this, and went thru the automated phone call. It recognized that I had made a payment of $75.00 and $60.00. When I got to a operator, they said I couldn't receive MY available credit until 6/25/18 and 6/26/18. I am extremely upset about this, and will pay off my $168 and close this account. It is Incredibly frustrating!!! I pay on time, I pay extra and I'm penalized for making more than the minimum amount? Very wrong, and unfair! If you already acknowledge that I paid, why keep my available credit at $0.00.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: April 2, 2018

So, here's the story. I've had this card and another card with Capital One for a little over a year... Never missed a payment. Recently, I accidentally made a $500 payment to both cards and when I tried to cancel one of them (because I only had enough for one payment), they wouldn't let me. The payment returned for the BuyPower card but went through for the other card. But for about a week it said the opposite. That the payment went through for BuyPower card and not the other one. So... I used the BuyPower card and then a week later they flipped the script and now I had no balance due on the other card but now had a $900 (credit amount was $500 + the $400 that I spent) balance on the BuyPower card because I used it because I had $500 available for use.

I tried making payments but for some reason my bank kept returning them (I later found out a bill put my account in the negative). I made about 2 payments and both were returned. I later got a call from fraud saying that I needed to prove that the account was mine that I was making the payments from... As if people NEVER open new accounts, ever. They wanted me to fax my bank statement to them and I didn't have a fax machine nor would my bank do it for security reasons. Asked if there was another option and they said no and that it had to be faxed. After about 2 weeks of dealing with this crap, I was finally able to get it faxed only to get a call 3-4 days later saying that my account had been closed due to returned payments and missed payments.

ONLY payment I ever missed was the most recent payment and that's because I didn't have access to my account because of the stupid fraud issue. I have always made payments and there may have been only once or twice when I first got the card that I paid a day late or something like that. But I NEVER missed a payment. They don't care about the history of you as a customer and made me jump through looks just to say "oh we cancelled your card". So now, paying that card is going to the bottom of the list of bills due. You want to screw me over? Fine. But don't think that I'm going to be as loyal with you as I was before.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been a GM card holder for 16 years. I've always paid in full and on time. I raised a disputed charge to customer service in the amount of 8.03. After being lied to by Nakkia (employee # **) who would not pass me to her manager Katrina, she refused to waive this fee in order to keep my business. Apparently, giving many thousands of dollars of business to this company is not worth $8, so I will be taking my business elsewhere and I encourage others to do the same. This is a deplorable business model. I will be taking my business to American Express where I am a valued customer.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband has had a GM card since 1994, which a couple of years ago was acquired by Capital One. Even with the acquisition, not much changed. My husband had a business account with GM/Cap 1 and we also had a personal card. He paid the business account and elected to receive paper whereas I elected email for the personal card to save the trees. My husband also was set up on auto-pay and thus didn't always open the statements given that he knew the bills were getting paid in full. The last statement I received in email from our personal account was in September, which was paid on time and in full as it is every month.

A few days after that an email was sent to me indicating they were updating their online support and we would need to update account preferences. The email also stated more information would be forthcoming via email and don't change what we were doing at the sending of that email. That was the last email I received from Cap1. I'm extremely busy, as are most people. I rely on these email statements to trigger me to log onto Cap1 and pay the amount due each month. Therefore, when the statements stopped coming, I didn't stop to think at any point...during a busy holiday season that my statement had not come through email like they always do. The next month my husband received a paper copy and opened it thinking it was his business statement, but discovered it was our personal statement. He paid it as I was traveling on business and thought we had failed to pay on time so accepted the penalty.

That bothered me so I looked into it when I returned home and didn't fully grasp what was going on at the time so I just let it go thinking maybe I did accidentally delete the email even though it wasn’t in my deleted folder, inbox or junk mail. It happened again where the next month went unpaid because I never got a statement. This month we get another paper copy with another penalty fee for not paying last month’s bill. That caused me to dig in again and not stop until I figured out what was going on. I called Cap1 thinking they'll understand given they changed the process and transmission of how the statements were sent and did not notify us via email as their September email indicated so it's logical they should reimburse me the penalty fees and interest that had been accumulating, especially seeing our customer history of on time payments in full for 24 years. I was wrong.

The customer service rep said she could only reimburse me the last month's charges. I said that's unacceptable and requested to speak with a supervisor. I sat on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a supervisor. I hung in there determined to show them the error of their ways in that they changed the process thereby removing the person who pays the bills from the equation. A supervisor, Jasmine, finally picks up my line and I start telling her the situation. Suddenly there is silence. I thought maybe she put me on hold and I didn’t hear her say it, but there was no hold music. This went on for several minutes where I kept saying "Hello" and finally I said "I'm not hanging up." Ten seconds later I get a dial tone after she hung up on me at 48 minutes into the call. I called back and explained to this service rep that I was angry and I apologized that she had to be the one to answer and asked to speak with a supervisor who was not Jasmine.

Eight minutes later, Jasmine is on the line with me explaining the line went dead. Quite coincidental considering it was silent for several minutes until I said I'm not hanging up and then, dial tone. Of note, the second rep also put me on hold two times, one with hold music and the second with silence. I thought when I got silence the second time I got hung up on again, but she came back. Jasmine clarifies my situation and puts me on hold for a few minutes. When she returns she tells me that since my husband had been getting paper copies and had chosen not to open them, they couldn't be held responsible.

I again repeated that he handles the business account which comes on paper and I handle the personal account which had for several years been coming in email. When they changed the process by sending emails – to my husband who hasn’t seen a personal statement for years (except for the two in this story) and didn’t inform me on next steps to sign up for online statements again, there was a serious error in how they went about this. They refused to reimburse all of the fees so now they are two customers short, a personal card and a business card after 24 years of being a valued customer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My experience with Capital One Card was terrible. After dealing with Andy, Melissa, Tami, Felica, and finally George on 12-08-17 and 1 month of calling them and spending an hour on the phone George told me today that he would set up a payment investigation as to the missing $807.58 that was sent to them on 11-16-17, like any other previous payments for the last 2 years to the same address. The payment showed accepted by provider on 11-16-17 but they never received it so they put a block on the cards and also stopped payments on 4 automatic withdrawals.

When I talked to Tami on the 29th of November and had a fax sent to her from the bank that she would start the investigation which was never done. In fact if I hadn’t called on 12-08-17 and talked to George who started the payment investigation and credited our account the $807.58 it would have never been done like Tami promised. They have ruined our credit and messed up 4 accounts including an automatic payment from Sunnet, an automatic toll payment each month who sent us 4 notices that we were going through the toll illegally and violating the law. The Capital One managers were terrible and all George could do was apologize for their errors.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Ok, I've been w/ GM Card for 29 uneventful years. No negative issues... Recently, my GM card was denied a purchase at my local grocery store. (I shop there every week & pay w/ GM Card from Capital One.) The sale was denied. I contacted Cap 1 & I was informed that they denied it due to a possible fraud transaction... The customer service agent was very polite, unlocked my account, but couldn't explain why the charge was flagged/denied... It seems just so random. Now, I'm not comfortable using the card. It's embarrassing to be standing in line & the cashier gets the mgr, who explains that you've been denied. Has this happened to anyone else?

GM Credit Card Company Information