1.33/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 2, 2018

17 GM Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 2, 2018

So, here's the story. I've had this card and another card with Capital One for a little over a year... Never missed a payment. Recently, I accidentally made a $500 payment to both cards and when I tried to cancel one of them (because I only had enough for one payment), they wouldn't let me. The payment returned for the BuyPower card but went through for the other card. But for about a week it said the opposite. That the payment went through for BuyPower card and not the other one. So... I used the BuyPower card and then a week later they flipped the script and now I had no balance due on the other card but now had a $900 (credit amount was $500 + the $400 that I spent) balance on the BuyPower card because I used it because I had $500 available for use.

I tried making payments but for some reason my bank kept returning them (I later found out a bill put my account in the negative). I made about 2 payments and both were returned. I later got a call from fraud saying that I needed to prove that the account was mine that I was making the payments from... As if people NEVER open new accounts, ever. They wanted me to fax my bank statement to them and I didn't have a fax machine nor would my bank do it for security reasons. Asked if there was another option and they said no and that it had to be faxed. After about 2 weeks of dealing with this crap, I was finally able to get it faxed only to get a call 3-4 days later saying that my account had been closed due to returned payments and missed payments.

ONLY payment I ever missed was the most recent payment and that's because I didn't have access to my account because of the stupid fraud issue. I have always made payments and there may have been only once or twice when I first got the card that I paid a day late or something like that. But I NEVER missed a payment. They don't care about the history of you as a customer and made me jump through looks just to say "oh we cancelled your card". So now, paying that card is going to the bottom of the list of bills due. You want to screw me over? Fine. But don't think that I'm going to be as loyal with you as I was before.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been a GM card holder for 16 years. I've always paid in full and on time. I raised a disputed charge to customer service in the amount of 8.03. After being lied to by Nakkia (employee # **) who would not pass me to her manager Katrina, she refused to waive this fee in order to keep my business. Apparently, giving many thousands of dollars of business to this company is not worth $8, so I will be taking my business elsewhere and I encourage others to do the same. This is a deplorable business model. I will be taking my business to American Express where I am a valued customer.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband has had a GM card since 1994, which a couple of years ago was acquired by Capital One. Even with the acquisition, not much changed. My husband had a business account with GM/Cap 1 and we also had a personal card. He paid the business account and elected to receive paper whereas I elected email for the personal card to save the trees. My husband also was set up on auto-pay and thus didn't always open the statements given that he knew the bills were getting paid in full. The last statement I received in email from our personal account was in September, which was paid on time and in full as it is every month.

A few days after that an email was sent to me indicating they were updating their online support and we would need to update account preferences. The email also stated more information would be forthcoming via email and don't change what we were doing at the sending of that email. That was the last email I received from Cap1. I'm extremely busy, as are most people. I rely on these email statements to trigger me to log onto Cap1 and pay the amount due each month. Therefore, when the statements stopped coming, I didn't stop to think at any point...during a busy holiday season that my statement had not come through email like they always do. The next month my husband received a paper copy and opened it thinking it was his business statement, but discovered it was our personal statement. He paid it as I was traveling on business and thought we had failed to pay on time so accepted the penalty.

That bothered me so I looked into it when I returned home and didn't fully grasp what was going on at the time so I just let it go thinking maybe I did accidentally delete the email even though it wasn’t in my deleted folder, inbox or junk mail. It happened again where the next month went unpaid because I never got a statement. This month we get another paper copy with another penalty fee for not paying last month’s bill. That caused me to dig in again and not stop until I figured out what was going on. I called Cap1 thinking they'll understand given they changed the process and transmission of how the statements were sent and did not notify us via email as their September email indicated so it's logical they should reimburse me the penalty fees and interest that had been accumulating, especially seeing our customer history of on time payments in full for 24 years. I was wrong.

The customer service rep said she could only reimburse me the last month's charges. I said that's unacceptable and requested to speak with a supervisor. I sat on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a supervisor. I hung in there determined to show them the error of their ways in that they changed the process thereby removing the person who pays the bills from the equation. A supervisor, Jasmine, finally picks up my line and I start telling her the situation. Suddenly there is silence. I thought maybe she put me on hold and I didn’t hear her say it, but there was no hold music. This went on for several minutes where I kept saying "Hello" and finally I said "I'm not hanging up." Ten seconds later I get a dial tone after she hung up on me at 48 minutes into the call. I called back and explained to this service rep that I was angry and I apologized that she had to be the one to answer and asked to speak with a supervisor who was not Jasmine.

Eight minutes later, Jasmine is on the line with me explaining the line went dead. Quite coincidental considering it was silent for several minutes until I said I'm not hanging up and then, dial tone. Of note, the second rep also put me on hold two times, one with hold music and the second with silence. I thought when I got silence the second time I got hung up on again, but she came back. Jasmine clarifies my situation and puts me on hold for a few minutes. When she returns she tells me that since my husband had been getting paper copies and had chosen not to open them, they couldn't be held responsible.

I again repeated that he handles the business account which comes on paper and I handle the personal account which had for several years been coming in email. When they changed the process by sending emails – to my husband who hasn’t seen a personal statement for years (except for the two in this story) and didn’t inform me on next steps to sign up for online statements again, there was a serious error in how they went about this. They refused to reimburse all of the fees so now they are two customers short, a personal card and a business card after 24 years of being a valued customer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My experience with Capital One Card was terrible. After dealing with Andy, Melissa, Tami, Felica, and finally George on 12-08-17 and 1 month of calling them and spending an hour on the phone George told me today that he would set up a payment investigation as to the missing $807.58 that was sent to them on 11-16-17, like any other previous payments for the last 2 years to the same address. The payment showed accepted by provider on 11-16-17 but they never received it so they put a block on the cards and also stopped payments on 4 automatic withdrawals.

When I talked to Tami on the 29th of November and had a fax sent to her from the bank that she would start the investigation which was never done. In fact if I hadn’t called on 12-08-17 and talked to George who started the payment investigation and credited our account the $807.58 it would have never been done like Tami promised. They have ruined our credit and messed up 4 accounts including an automatic payment from Sunnet, an automatic toll payment each month who sent us 4 notices that we were going through the toll illegally and violating the law. The Capital One managers were terrible and all George could do was apologize for their errors.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Ok, I've been w/ GM Card for 29 uneventful years. No negative issues... Recently, my GM card was denied a purchase at my local grocery store. (I shop there every week & pay w/ GM Card from Capital One.) The sale was denied. I contacted Cap 1 & I was informed that they denied it due to a possible fraud transaction... The customer service agent was very polite, unlocked my account, but couldn't explain why the charge was flagged/denied... It seems just so random. Now, I'm not comfortable using the card. It's embarrassing to be standing in line & the cashier gets the mgr, who explains that you've been denied. Has this happened to anyone else?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: June 14, 2017

This card is a joke! They make it almost impossible to make a payment. Customer service is awful. Wouldn't allow me to update my address or cancel my duplicate card and send me the primary card holder which is me a new card. Every time I tried to make a payment it was such a hassle. They had to call my bank every time and month after month it was always something. First my checking account number was coming up invalid. Then my debit card 3 digits was "not matching". I'm reading the exact numbers right in front of me... This month, my bank acct address for the debit card was not matching what the bank has or something... paying this card off and ending it.

Original review: April 13, 2017

After years of using my card I have $9500 in earnings. Just left the dealer after agreeing on a price then was told I could only use $1500 toward my purchase. This program is a scam. Sounds like many people are fooled by the scam. Hope you won't be. They said it's always been this way but it must be written in the finer than fine print. Very embarrassing and disappointing. GM will never see me again.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Have used my GM Credit Card for years and after saving points through the years, have gotten three $3,000 dollars discounts on new cars, and received $4,100 off the final negotiated price on my last new car purchase. Each car has served me well, (no major repair problems to complain about just regular maintenance repairs, oh my wife and I have had more than our share of accidents, but the point is we really like our cars), and, the people at GM Credit Card Services have always worked with us to resolve any late payment problems we may have gotten our selves into.

Essentially as soon as I have offered to make partial or full payment they have reversed interest payment charges, even though I have periodically missed a few payments given my overall history of - repeat payments bridging a span of decades. The GM Credit Card I use offers a 5% credit on purchases I make towards the purchase of a new, note new car, not used cars. So we only have purchased new cars and they have all gone between 120,000 to 200,000 miles. I know of no better offer and will continue to recommend this card and GM cars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

This has been going on for 6 months - I attempt to cancel auto-shipping delivery, return two months of deliveries, phone calls, emails, they finally say they cancel auto delivery. But they charge me and my credit card for another shipment they say they sent, I never got. I complained to Better Business Bureau and told my Credit Card company I did not get the shipment they say they sent to me even after my account was supposed to be closed. My Credit card company is saying if I can't prove anything (not getting boxes) then they will charge me the $309.99. How can I prove not getting something? I guess I will have to cancel the card and have a non-payment show up on my credit report because I am not paying for something I did not get. BTW, the Credit card company is GMC Mastercard BuyPower Card in Salt Lake City, UT.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I have had a Mastercard for a long time and I wanted to redeem my rewards and was told I could only do it if I bought a new car. My car is paid off and I do not want a new car. I was told that my almost $3,00.00 could only use it for that. I am disabled and I struggle to pay off the car I have. They said I would lose all that I have build up in rewards. There should be some way that it could be transferred to a gift card or on account for a gift certificate.

Original review: July 14, 2015

I pay the bills. Our GM Mastercard is in my husband's name primary, with me as a user. I recently shredded my card and couldn't find a recent statement to pay the bill. So I called to make a payment with all the information. My checking information is automatically in their system and he (his name was Israel) said I couldn't make a payment without the full account number. I have made payments before with social security, address, checking account #. He claimed I could be committing fraud. I am trying to pay a bill not charge on it??? He would only talk to my husband and when my husband gave permission for me to finish the phone call, he said it was against the guidelines. I've paid plenty of bills to know he's wrong. He just had an attitude on the phone, not to mention hard to understand because they are all from outside the U.S. Good thing I don't plan on using this card again!

Original review: June 10, 2015

So angry with Capital One Gm Card. I disputed a charge, the company went out of business and was suppose to refund me 800.00. I provided two documents stating the refund after 6 months I still did not get the refund. ** in disputes doesn't think I should be refunded however, it is right there in black and white. Here's to bad credit because I am not paying this amount.

Original review: March 2, 2015

Loyal gm car customer since 1966. I buy new vehicles every 2 years. My friends all received the $3000 TOP off bonus this year. The gm card would not give any explanation as to why I did not receive one. Due to this situation, I will never buy another gm vehicle.

Original review: June 3, 2014

I have 5 credit cards I pay by phone. Of these 5 Wells Fargo is the worst. It takes forever to get to the place you pay your bill. The recording asks the same questions over and over again. Please shorten your messages to pay bill. Sometimes I get so frustrated I don't even want to pay my bill.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2013

I was going on a long vacation and called to get a new card mailed to a second home. I was assured that this would be no problem and that I could use my old card until the new one arrived. None of it was true. The old card was cancelled before I tried to activate the new card and they would never activate the new card citing my second address could be fraud. This despite the fact I have had this address for decades and it was my primary address with GM for much of this time. Repeated calls met with the same fraud claim. After 6 weeks of claiming they didn't believe I was really me I said you might as well cancel the account then. No problem, they believed it was me and cancelled the account. I don't know if it was GM or Capital One that gained or just incompetence, but I cancelled the GM purchase in the works and will be replacing my three GM cars with another brand.

Original review: April 24, 2011

I have always considered myself a member of the General Motors "Family." My father was employed by GM for over 40 years. I have never driven anything but a GM car, starting in 1954. Imagine my surprise to find that GM is conducting a scam on loyal purchasers. I carry a MasterCard with the GM logo. The card is issued by HSBC. My March statement showed a credit of $2,397.73 toward the purchase of a new vehicle. With that in mind, I attempted to apply it towards a 2011 model. I was told only $1,000 of the amount shown on my statement could be used. "Outraged" is a mild description of my feelings towards a company that would conduct and advertise such a fraudulent scheme, particularly when my taxes have helped to keep this company in business. Can you help me recover my missing dollars and put an end to this practice?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2009 In the scheme of things this may not seem important, but to me it is.
I have a GM credit card that I have had for a very long time. Credit limit $300, interest rate 27%. I wanted to keep that card (trying to go cash only) because I knew a $300 limit and high interest rate would keep me from using it. Very rarely use the card. Tried today to use it for a $44.00 purchase and it was denied 2 times. The balance on the card is around $72.00 and the last payment was made 11/709 for $50. Why was the card denied? The minimum payment is $15.00!!! I tried calling customer service number approximately 8-10 times, was asked to put in my card number and told a customer service rep would be with me and then nothing.........I was able to talk with a foreign speaking woman once (this is America and we speak English here by the way) - I could barely understand anything she said. She got some information and said she would be right back and once again.........nothing. To say I am angry is putting it very mildly. I went to the website to put in a complaint and did so just as was instructed on the website. Guess what? I came back that it would not go through....... What is going on here? There are serious problems with this company (as we all know and the more I read on the internet the more I realize this.) Answers please. I am NEVER late with a payment, make my payments on time and then I'm treated this way. I do have an attorney and as small as this may seem I will go to her in a heartbeat to get this straightened out. I, with my hard earned tax money, have bailed out this company and this is the thanks I get???? I don't think so. I would like answers to all my questions ASAP. Thank you, Teresa Chesley

GM Credit Card Company Information