GM Credit Card
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

GM Credit Card

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

13 GM Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Ok, I've been w/ GM Card for 29 uneventful years. No negative issues... Recently, my GM card was denied a purchase at my local grocery store. (I shop there every week & pay w/ GM Card from Capital One.) The sale was denied. I contacted Cap 1 & I was informed that they denied it due to a possible fraud transaction... The customer service agent was very polite, unlocked my account, but couldn't explain why the charge was flagged/denied... It seems just so random. Now, I'm not comfortable using the card. It's embarrassing to be standing in line & the cashier gets the mgr, who explains that you've been denied. Has this happened to anyone else?

Original review: June 14, 2017

This card is a joke! They make it almost impossible to make a payment. Customer service is awful. Wouldn't allow me to update my address or cancel my duplicate card and send me the primary card holder which is me a new card. Every time I tried to make a payment it was such a hassle. They had to call my bank every time and month after month it was always something. First my checking account number was coming up invalid. Then my debit card 3 digits was "not matching". I'm reading the exact numbers right in front of me... This month, my bank acct address for the debit card was not matching what the bank has or something... paying this card off and ending it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 13, 2017

After years of using my card I have $9500 in earnings. Just left the dealer after agreeing on a price then was told I could only use $1500 toward my purchase. This program is a scam. Sounds like many people are fooled by the scam. Hope you won't be. They said it's always been this way but it must be written in the finer than fine print. Very embarrassing and disappointing. GM will never see me again.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Have used my GM Credit Card for years and after saving points through the years, have gotten three $3,000 dollars discounts on new cars, and received $4,100 off the final negotiated price on my last new car purchase. Each car has served me well, (no major repair problems to complain about just regular maintenance repairs, oh my wife and I have had more than our share of accidents, but the point is we really like our cars), and, the people at GM Credit Card Services have always worked with us to resolve any late payment problems we may have gotten our selves into.

Essentially as soon as I have offered to make partial or full payment they have reversed interest payment charges, even though I have periodically missed a few payments given my overall history of - repeat payments bridging a span of decades. The GM Credit Card I use offers a 5% credit on purchases I make towards the purchase of a new, note new car, not used cars. So we only have purchased new cars and they have all gone between 120,000 to 200,000 miles. I know of no better offer and will continue to recommend this card and GM cars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

This has been going on for 6 months - I attempt to cancel auto-shipping delivery, return two months of deliveries, phone calls, emails, they finally say they cancel auto delivery. But they charge me and my credit card for another shipment they say they sent, I never got. I complained to Better Business Bureau and told my Credit Card company I did not get the shipment they say they sent to me even after my account was supposed to be closed. My Credit card company is saying if I can't prove anything (not getting boxes) then they will charge me the $309.99. How can I prove not getting something? I guess I will have to cancel the card and have a non-payment show up on my credit report because I am not paying for something I did not get. BTW, the Credit card company is GMC Mastercard BuyPower Card in Salt Lake City, UT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: April 28, 2016

I have had a Mastercard for a long time and I wanted to redeem my rewards and was told I could only do it if I bought a new car. My car is paid off and I do not want a new car. I was told that my almost $3,00.00 could only use it for that. I am disabled and I struggle to pay off the car I have. They said I would lose all that I have build up in rewards. There should be some way that it could be transferred to a gift card or on account for a gift certificate.

Original review: July 14, 2015

I pay the bills. Our GM Mastercard is in my husband's name primary, with me as a user. I recently shredded my card and couldn't find a recent statement to pay the bill. So I called to make a payment with all the information. My checking information is automatically in their system and he (his name was Israel) said I couldn't make a payment without the full account number. I have made payments before with social security, address, checking account #. He claimed I could be committing fraud. I am trying to pay a bill not charge on it??? He would only talk to my husband and when my husband gave permission for me to finish the phone call, he said it was against the guidelines. I've paid plenty of bills to know he's wrong. He just had an attitude on the phone, not to mention hard to understand because they are all from outside the U.S. Good thing I don't plan on using this card again!

Original review: June 10, 2015

So angry with Capital One Gm Card. I disputed a charge, the company went out of business and was suppose to refund me 800.00. I provided two documents stating the refund after 6 months I still did not get the refund. ** in disputes doesn't think I should be refunded however, it is right there in black and white. Here's to bad credit because I am not paying this amount.

Original review: March 2, 2015

Loyal gm car customer since 1966. I buy new vehicles every 2 years. My friends all received the $3000 TOP off bonus this year. The gm card would not give any explanation as to why I did not receive one. Due to this situation, I will never buy another gm vehicle.

Original review: June 3, 2014

I have 5 credit cards I pay by phone. Of these 5 Wells Fargo is the worst. It takes forever to get to the place you pay your bill. The recording asks the same questions over and over again. Please shorten your messages to pay bill. Sometimes I get so frustrated I don't even want to pay my bill.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2013

I was going on a long vacation and called to get a new card mailed to a second home. I was assured that this would be no problem and that I could use my old card until the new one arrived. None of it was true. The old card was cancelled before I tried to activate the new card and they would never activate the new card citing my second address could be fraud. This despite the fact I have had this address for decades and it was my primary address with GM for much of this time. Repeated calls met with the same fraud claim. After 6 weeks of claiming they didn't believe I was really me I said you might as well cancel the account then. No problem, they believed it was me and cancelled the account. I don't know if it was GM or Capital One that gained or just incompetence, but I cancelled the GM purchase in the works and will be replacing my three GM cars with another brand.

Original review: April 24, 2011

I have always considered myself a member of the General Motors "Family." My father was employed by GM for over 40 years. I have never driven anything but a GM car, starting in 1954. Imagine my surprise to find that GM is conducting a scam on loyal purchasers. I carry a MasterCard with the GM logo. The card is issued by HSBC. My March statement showed a credit of $2,397.73 toward the purchase of a new vehicle. With that in mind, I attempted to apply it towards a 2011 model. I was told only $1,000 of the amount shown on my statement could be used. "Outraged" is a mild description of my feelings towards a company that would conduct and advertise such a fraudulent scheme, particularly when my taxes have helped to keep this company in business. Can you help me recover my missing dollars and put an end to this practice?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2009

In the scheme of things this may not seem important, but to me it is. I have a GM credit card that I have had for a very long time. Credit limit $300, interest rate 27%. I wanted to keep that card (trying to go cash only) because I knew a $300 limit and high interest rate would keep me from using it. Very rarely use the card. Tried today to use it for a $44.00 purchase and it was denied 2 times. The balance on the card is around $72.00 and the last payment was made 11/709 for $50. Why was the card denied? The minimum payment is $15.00!

I tried calling customer service number approximately 8-10 times, was asked to put in my card number and told a customer service rep would be with me and then nothing. I was able to talk with a foreign speaking woman once (this is America and we speak English here by the way) - I could barely understand anything she said. She got some information and said she would be right back and once again...nothing.

To say I am angry is putting it very mildly. I went to the website to put in a complaint and did so just as was instructed on the website. Guess what? I came back that it would not go through. What is going on here? There are serious problems with this company (as we all know and the more I read on the internet the more I realize this.)

Answers please. I am NEVER late with a payment, make my payments on time and then I'm treated this way. I do have an attorney and as small as this may seem I will go to her in a heartbeat to get this straightened out. I, with my hard earned tax money, have bailed out this company and this is the thanks I get? I don't think so.

GM Credit Card Company Information