2. Finance

GM Credit Card

GM Credit Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

GM Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I own a company that has a fleet of GM vehicles, wouldn't a GM Business Buypower card be good for that?? You would think. Had a balance of $18000, paid it off before the statement, and they froze my card, for paying the balance of a "business" card. Even better, had a balance of over $17000, got the statement, paid it that day. They reported that balance of a business card on my personal credit score, which isn't supposed to happen. So, my near perfect credit took a big hit, due to the fact that Capital One is blatantly advertising this as Business card, and it is clearly not. The only time they can report on personal credit is if you miss a payment or have a late fee... This is not the case. DO NOT GET THIS CARD IF YOU ARE USING IT FOR BUSINESS!!!

Original review: July 29, 2020

Was supposed to receive a $200.00 rebate. Received a $100.00 rebate and they denied the other $100.00 because my wife bought the truck new, we got married and the dealership still has the information in her name. There when I used my buy power card with my name on it they denied the 2nd $100.00. I've called multiple times to get this straightened out with no luck. I never buy tires again from my loyal dealer I've been using since 2008.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: April 2, 2020

I called GM credit to claimed my rewards. I asked if I can use my rewards towards my credit card balance because of the Pandemic crisis. I was told "NO but if buy parts for your car, purchased or leased a vehicle or you do a oil change you can submit a form through our online system and claim your rewards". I'm not in the position of buying a vehicle or buy parts for my car (not in this pandemic crisis). All I want is to used my rewards towards my credit card balance so at least it will alleviated some payments. This is not the answer I was expecting. This is terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I’ve tried for three times to get a new card: I’ll be leaving the country soon. My card expires after I leave. Called call services. They cancelled my husband's card. Got new card with new numbers. Same expiration. Called again, got same numbers and same expiration date. Just checked the mail, new number same expiration dates. You’d think a company could fulfill my request. Seems I’m asking the impossible. Oh, I’ve been a member for 34 years. I’m cancelling my card.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I was checking out on a online web site and entered all the required information to charge to my Capital One GM card and submitted to close out and my card was refused. This was the second time within 1 week. I have had this card for over 20 years and have never been refused. I don't even carry a balance. I have several hundred dollars to put on a new vehicle but I am about to tell them to stick the card where the sun don't shine, but Christmas shopping is getting close and I always use it. I am beginning to believe they don't want my business. I never had a problem until Capital One took over. I also have a friend who is trying to get his card activated for use and has been refused. He was provided the card after he applied for it. What kind of company is this?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Tried to buy 4 NEW tires at a GM dealership using my GM card. Card not used for years. Very low limit. Only needed $200 to complete sale. I am not primary cardholder... husband (age 80) is. Gave all info. re. husband. Tire's a gift for our 50th wedding anniversary. Refused to extend credit for one sale. Using GM card entitled me to DOUBLE rebate, adding another $70 to current rebate. Feel GM did not want to pay me extra rebate, so refused to accept card. How is anyone supposed to buy 4 Michelin tires for under $1000.00?

Very disappointed in GM. Thought they were better than this. Guess not. Spoke to two women who said they were supervisors. Don't think they were. They were too hesitant in making up their answers. They wanted to call my husband on the phone to verify. NOTE... were TOLD he is EIGHTY years old, and was told we NEVER talk to anyone on the phone about credit cards. Why would they ask such a thing? They said to "buy just two tires", "make partial payment on the card". Feel they just did not want to give me the DOUBLE REBATE I WAS ENTITLED TO. Cancelled whole transaction with the GM card, and put it on my Sam's Club card, with no questions asked. Question... why do you have a "promotion" and fail to honor it? Will be sending in rebate form, as instructed by my GM dealer. I hope to get the full, double, rebate, even though I was NOT ALLOWED to use the GM card for the transaction.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had a GM MasterCard for over 25 years. It has recently been changed to Capital One for servicing. I buy 2 new cars every year and use my Gm points. Every year for the past 4 years within 1 week after making my vehicle purchase I have received a bonus voucher for $750.00 to $1,000.00 to add to my existing points. I then call to ask if they will credit the bonus to me for my next purchase and they say no. Any bonus that comes within days of you buying the car should be given to you. That's how any other merchants handle these issues.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Six Months Later, Waiting for my $200 Tire Rebate from Cap. One - Horrible experience. The worst. I fully complied with the Terms of the Rebate Program (they have mailed me the same offer since I submitted) and I have had to make numerous calls to Certified Service/GM Card and my Cadillac Dealership to contact their Rep. to be deterred several times due to errors on their end. When I finally did get a rebate, two weeks ago, it was half of the amount (only $100) so I needed to start all over again and chase what they offered me to begin with. I called them today and the Service Manager of the dealership again today. Reckon that I have made at least 20 calls already. Not kind to do one's customers.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I only have a $300.00 credit limit on this BuyPower card. I made two payments, one on 6/20/18 and one on 6/21/18. My bill status is $168.00. So they Took both payments out of my bank accounts and then gave me a $0.00 available credit! They said that they need to put a hold on my account to verify payment. Ok, well, when I chatted with someone online, they told me I had to call the number on the back of my card. I did this, and went thru the automated phone call. It recognized that I had made a payment of $75.00 and $60.00. When I got to a operator, they said I couldn't receive MY available credit until 6/25/18 and 6/26/18. I am extremely upset about this, and will pay off my $168 and close this account. It is Incredibly frustrating!!! I pay on time, I pay extra and I'm penalized for making more than the minimum amount? Very wrong, and unfair! If you already acknowledge that I paid, why keep my available credit at $0.00.

Original review: April 2, 2018

So, here's the story. I've had this card and another card with Capital One for a little over a year... Never missed a payment. Recently, I accidentally made a $500 payment to both cards and when I tried to cancel one of them (because I only had enough for one payment), they wouldn't let me. The payment returned for the BuyPower card but went through for the other card. But for about a week it said the opposite. That the payment went through for BuyPower card and not the other one. So... I used the BuyPower card and then a week later they flipped the script and now I had no balance due on the other card but now had a $900 (credit amount was $500 + the $400 that I spent) balance on the BuyPower card because I used it because I had $500 available for use.

I tried making payments but for some reason my bank kept returning them (I later found out a bill put my account in the negative). I made about 2 payments and both were returned. I later got a call from fraud saying that I needed to prove that the account was mine that I was making the payments from... As if people NEVER open new accounts, ever. They wanted me to fax my bank statement to them and I didn't have a fax machine nor would my bank do it for security reasons. Asked if there was another option and they said no and that it had to be faxed. After about 2 weeks of dealing with this crap, I was finally able to get it faxed only to get a call 3-4 days later saying that my account had been closed due to returned payments and missed payments.

ONLY payment I ever missed was the most recent payment and that's because I didn't have access to my account because of the stupid fraud issue. I have always made payments and there may have been only once or twice when I first got the card that I paid a day late or something like that. But I NEVER missed a payment. They don't care about the history of you as a customer and made me jump through looks just to say "oh we cancelled your card". So now, paying that card is going to the bottom of the list of bills due. You want to screw me over? Fine. But don't think that I'm going to be as loyal with you as I was before.

GM Credit Card Company Information