2. Finance

GM Credit Card

GM Credit Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

GM Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have been a GM card holder for 16 years. I've always paid in full and on time. I raised a disputed charge to customer service in the amount of 8.03. After being lied to by Nakkia (employee # **) who would not pass me to her manager Katrina, she refused to waive this fee in order to keep my business. Apparently, giving many thousands of dollars of business to this company is not worth $8, so I will be taking my business elsewhere and I encourage others to do the same. This is a deplorable business model. I will be taking my business to American Express where I am a valued customer.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My husband has had a GM card since 1994, which a couple of years ago was acquired by Capital One. Even with the acquisition, not much changed. My husband had a business account with GM/Cap 1 and we also had a personal card. He paid the business account and elected to receive paper whereas I elected email for the personal card to save the trees. My husband also was set up on auto-pay and thus didn't always open the statements given that he knew the bills were getting paid in full. The last statement I received in email from our personal account was in September, which was paid on time and in full as it is every month.

A few days after that an email was sent to me indicating they were updating their online support and we would need to update account preferences. The email also stated more information would be forthcoming via email and don't change what we were doing at the sending of that email. That was the last email I received from Cap1. I'm extremely busy, as are most people. I rely on these email statements to trigger me to log onto Cap1 and pay the amount due each month. Therefore, when the statements stopped coming, I didn't stop to think at any point...during a busy holiday season that my statement had not come through email like they always do. The next month my husband received a paper copy and opened it thinking it was his business statement, but discovered it was our personal statement. He paid it as I was traveling on business and thought we had failed to pay on time so accepted the penalty.

That bothered me so I looked into it when I returned home and didn't fully grasp what was going on at the time so I just let it go thinking maybe I did accidentally delete the email even though it wasn’t in my deleted folder, inbox or junk mail. It happened again where the next month went unpaid because I never got a statement. This month we get another paper copy with another penalty fee for not paying last month’s bill. That caused me to dig in again and not stop until I figured out what was going on. I called Cap1 thinking they'll understand given they changed the process and transmission of how the statements were sent and did not notify us via email as their September email indicated so it's logical they should reimburse me the penalty fees and interest that had been accumulating, especially seeing our customer history of on time payments in full for 24 years. I was wrong.

The customer service rep said she could only reimburse me the last month's charges. I said that's unacceptable and requested to speak with a supervisor. I sat on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for a supervisor. I hung in there determined to show them the error of their ways in that they changed the process thereby removing the person who pays the bills from the equation. A supervisor, Jasmine, finally picks up my line and I start telling her the situation. Suddenly there is silence. I thought maybe she put me on hold and I didn’t hear her say it, but there was no hold music. This went on for several minutes where I kept saying "Hello" and finally I said "I'm not hanging up." Ten seconds later I get a dial tone after she hung up on me at 48 minutes into the call. I called back and explained to this service rep that I was angry and I apologized that she had to be the one to answer and asked to speak with a supervisor who was not Jasmine.

Eight minutes later, Jasmine is on the line with me explaining the line went dead. Quite coincidental considering it was silent for several minutes until I said I'm not hanging up and then, dial tone. Of note, the second rep also put me on hold two times, one with hold music and the second with silence. I thought when I got silence the second time I got hung up on again, but she came back. Jasmine clarifies my situation and puts me on hold for a few minutes. When she returns she tells me that since my husband had been getting paper copies and had chosen not to open them, they couldn't be held responsible.

I again repeated that he handles the business account which comes on paper and I handle the personal account which had for several years been coming in email. When they changed the process by sending emails – to my husband who hasn’t seen a personal statement for years (except for the two in this story) and didn’t inform me on next steps to sign up for online statements again, there was a serious error in how they went about this. They refused to reimburse all of the fees so now they are two customers short, a personal card and a business card after 24 years of being a valued customer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

My experience with Capital One Card was terrible. After dealing with Andy, Melissa, Tami, Felica, and finally George on 12-08-17 and 1 month of calling them and spending an hour on the phone George told me today that he would set up a payment investigation as to the missing $807.58 that was sent to them on 11-16-17, like any other previous payments for the last 2 years to the same address. The payment showed accepted by provider on 11-16-17 but they never received it so they put a block on the cards and also stopped payments on 4 automatic withdrawals.

When I talked to Tami on the 29th of November and had a fax sent to her from the bank that she would start the investigation which was never done. In fact if I hadn’t called on 12-08-17 and talked to George who started the payment investigation and credited our account the $807.58 it would have never been done like Tami promised. They have ruined our credit and messed up 4 accounts including an automatic payment from Sunnet, an automatic toll payment each month who sent us 4 notices that we were going through the toll illegally and violating the law. The Capital One managers were terrible and all George could do was apologize for their errors.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Ok, I've been w/ GM Card for 29 uneventful years. No negative issues... Recently, my GM card was denied a purchase at my local grocery store. (I shop there every week & pay w/ GM Card from Capital One.) The sale was denied. I contacted Cap 1 & I was informed that they denied it due to a possible fraud transaction... The customer service agent was very polite, unlocked my account, but couldn't explain why the charge was flagged/denied... It seems just so random. Now, I'm not comfortable using the card. It's embarrassing to be standing in line & the cashier gets the mgr, who explains that you've been denied. Has this happened to anyone else?

Original review: June 14, 2017

This card is a joke! They make it almost impossible to make a payment. Customer service is awful. Wouldn't allow me to update my address or cancel my duplicate card and send me the primary card holder which is me a new card. Every time I tried to make a payment it was such a hassle. They had to call my bank every time and month after month it was always something. First my checking account number was coming up invalid. Then my debit card 3 digits was "not matching". I'm reading the exact numbers right in front of me... This month, my bank acct address for the debit card was not matching what the bank has or something... paying this card off and ending it.

Original review: April 13, 2017

After years of using my card I have $9500 in earnings. Just left the dealer after agreeing on a price then was told I could only use $1500 toward my purchase. This program is a scam. Sounds like many people are fooled by the scam. Hope you won't be. They said it's always been this way but it must be written in the finer than fine print. Very embarrassing and disappointing. GM will never see me again.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Have used my GM Credit Card for years and after saving points through the years, have gotten three $3,000 dollars discounts on new cars, and received $4,100 off the final negotiated price on my last new car purchase. Each car has served me well, (no major repair problems to complain about just regular maintenance repairs, oh my wife and I have had more than our share of accidents, but the point is we really like our cars), and, the people at GM Credit Card Services have always worked with us to resolve any late payment problems we may have gotten our selves into.

Essentially as soon as I have offered to make partial or full payment they have reversed interest payment charges, even though I have periodically missed a few payments given my overall history of - repeat payments bridging a span of decades. The GM Credit Card I use offers a 5% credit on purchases I make towards the purchase of a new, note new car, not used cars. So we only have purchased new cars and they have all gone between 120,000 to 200,000 miles. I know of no better offer and will continue to recommend this card and GM cars.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

This has been going on for 6 months - I attempt to cancel auto-shipping delivery, return two months of deliveries, phone calls, emails, they finally say they cancel auto delivery. But they charge me and my credit card for another shipment they say they sent, I never got. I complained to Better Business Bureau and told my Credit Card company I did not get the shipment they say they sent to me even after my account was supposed to be closed. My Credit card company is saying if I can't prove anything (not getting boxes) then they will charge me the $309.99. How can I prove not getting something? I guess I will have to cancel the card and have a non-payment show up on my credit report because I am not paying for something I did not get. BTW, the Credit card company is GMC Mastercard BuyPower Card in Salt Lake City, UT.

Original review: April 28, 2016

I have had a Mastercard for a long time and I wanted to redeem my rewards and was told I could only do it if I bought a new car. My car is paid off and I do not want a new car. I was told that my almost $3,00.00 could only use it for that. I am disabled and I struggle to pay off the car I have. They said I would lose all that I have build up in rewards. There should be some way that it could be transferred to a gift card or on account for a gift certificate.

Original review: July 14, 2015

I pay the bills. Our GM Mastercard is in my husband's name primary, with me as a user. I recently shredded my card and couldn't find a recent statement to pay the bill. So I called to make a payment with all the information. My checking information is automatically in their system and he (his name was Israel) said I couldn't make a payment without the full account number. I have made payments before with social security, address, checking account #. He claimed I could be committing fraud. I am trying to pay a bill not charge on it??? He would only talk to my husband and when my husband gave permission for me to finish the phone call, he said it was against the guidelines. I've paid plenty of bills to know he's wrong. He just had an attitude on the phone, not to mention hard to understand because they are all from outside the U.S. Good thing I don't plan on using this card again!

GM Credit Card Company Information