1.19/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Credit One Credit Card

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

933 Credit One Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

This company charges you a monthly fee and also charges you a fee to increase your credit limit. The customer service dept is out of India and they are rude, abrasive and sarcastic. I canceled my card with them because it was expensive... fees, fees, fees! THERE ARE BETTER OPTIONS!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Is it possible to do a class action suit with these guys since they decided to suspend my account (looks like others also) without letting us know first? It was embarrassing when I went to make a purchase and the card was declined because of this. I had the available credit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My complaint isn't about the card, it's the company that I have a problem with! If you are one day late on your payment, they will call you once every hour! And if you decide to answer for them, the collector will either have an attitude or will try to intimidate you into making a payment. Not cool, I'm very annoyed. Once I pay off the balance, I'm getting rid of the card.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Use the card to establish credit. When trying to make payments the website would always say webpage not available. When trying to make a phone payment that would even be made complicated so finally I was called to make a payment. Paid my loan in full and closed the account just to get another bill mailed to me regarding my account being open. Called again just to talk to some outsourced place. Said my account is to be closed and they said it already is, I said, "Then why do I have a bill?" Said it's closed. Asked for some confirmation number. Said they would mail me a letter. Just received in August. Now my credit score states I am delinquent on payments!! Never use this card.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I received this credit card at the same time Capital One was sending replacement credit cards with chips. When I received I didn't take a good enough look at the logo (they are intentionally deceptive). I put it in my wallet thinking it was my Credit One card with new chip. Go to dinner with friends, submit the card for payment - again not noticing it's not my Credit One card.

A couple days later I go to the store, present the same card and it's declined. I use another card to pay and call Credit One when I get home to find out why my charge didn't go thru. After a few minutes on the phone with Credit One I take out the card and realize it's not a Credit One card. I contacted Credit One, was convinced to keep the card but decided I would pay the balance and cut it up. I felt deceived. First statement brings a bigger surprise. My $40 dinner now totaled almost $200 with start up fees. I paid my total thinking lesson learned. Check before I put anything in my wallet.

I cannot articulate what their process is with payments and fees and timing. But I was off because apparently I incurred more fees. Hopefully the end of this nightmare is near. They got an $800 judgment against me and a lien against my bank account. I called them several time to explain what happened in an attempt to get fees credited but they don't talk to anyone who owes less than $1000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Credit Card?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

It is my first month with the card and my statement reflected my minimum balance would be due on 16 September. I sent a bank to bank payment on 13 September and checked daily on my checking account if the payment had yet been deducted. Well, today is the 18th and I was notified the payment had been returned without any reason as to why.

I called Credit One's customer service, which took many many tries to get into. They told me possibly the payment will clear within another 5 days but that they recommended me to use Express Pay (9.95) in the future. He also told me to pay 10 days before the due date. I told the agent I wasn't interested in paying a late fee and he asked would I prefer to pay 25 or 9.95.

The other issue... It was near impossible to set up my online banking with Credit One. The app and website both kept returning an error which claimed my username and/or password attempts were incorrect. I made sure to write them down after 8 tries. Eventually it worked, but it wasn't easy. I suspect this, along with their circular electronic prompt on the phone, is part of a tactic to make customers crazy so they give up and face a late penalty. Website and customer service: NOT user friendly. I am still unsure as to why my transfer was returned and apparently (based on prior reviews), bill pay is not accepted.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

March 2017, My account information had been compromised. I was assured the account was no longer active. August 2017, I sent a payment into the company to bring my account balance current. Needless to say it was applied to the closed account. I had contacted Credit One over a 3 week period of time and was told numerous times that the payment was not received. It in fact had been and was applied to the closed account, meanwhile charges are being added to my account.

Then when it was in fact confirmed that the payment was applied to the account that I was assured months prior was closed. So my issue now is not the payment, but the compromised account. In no way would I recommended Credit One Bank Card. Capital One or First Premier are definitely more reliable and safe. After the 3rd week and reassuring me the payment would be applied to the correct account, it had not been, and I would have to wait an additional 72 hours, so we are in week 4 at this point.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I got this credit card A $300.00 limit then went up to $450.00 in the first 3 months. Had this for about a year. I never was late with a payment. They wanted my saving account INFO as I was making my payments online then I got upset and paid it all off. It was $454.00. I made a Express Payment $10.00, another $10.00 fee and told them to cancel my card. I ask if there was any other fees? The customer service rep said no. Not that she could see unless a charge that I made did not go through yet. Well I had no other pending charges. The next billing statement I owed another $3.54. I sent a check to pay it off again thinking this nightmare was over. Well not. So today I get another bill saying I owe them 6 cents. This is on the interest folk of the $3.54 and they keep reporting this to my credit. Please no matter how hard of a pinch you're in stay away from this credit card company. Not worth all the hassle.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My late husband after he started paying back as student loans was offered several credit cards. He had problems with Capital One and HSBC. But Credit One did give him a card. The problem with them is that they bug you after you've had it for a while to increase your credit by about $24 or something close to that. Now the worst thing is that if something goes wrong and you call their number what do you get. I recorded message. You have to figure out how to get in touch with a human voice. No matter how hard you try it's recorded message. I did a little research and evidently Credit One is in the Philippines and they use the Las Vegas as their mailing address. The only thing good I can say about it is that when I reported to them that my husband had passed away they close the account.

Friday that I told them that we had moved and I gave them the address of our new place. We never got a credit card the last thing we heard was it had been noted. No statements ever came to our new address until we got a collection letter. Would you believe they sent me an offer for a credit card of course I shredded it. I'm not interested in it at all and their own line app is so crappy it's not even worth trying to get on it. So I say to anybody if you nobody who gets a Credit One pre-authorized request for credit shred it immediately and never ever open one with them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I've had this credit card for a few years now; and I used to not have a problem making a payment online but over the last few months, the online site/app has just been "dead". Every time I tried to log in it would say there was a problem processing my request and wouldn't load any of my information. I went to make a payment and it kicked me back to the log in screen. Ironically, whenever I hit the customer service link to find a way to contact someone directly, it also kicked me back to the log in screen. I don't know if they just really don't want to help their customers because they know their site is messed up or what. In the end I had to call someone and make a payment over the phone with a $9.95 "convenience fee" so my payment wasn't what it was supposed to be but $10 more. That pissed me off. I live off a very tight budget and I know $10 doesn't seem like much to most people but to some, that's a lot.

That was money to go to gas for me; these people and their hidden fees for "convenience" really screwed me up this month and I have a feeling that the same thing will continue to happen. The mobile app and the website will probably continue to stay down so people have to call in and make payments and fork over extra money for "convenience". I don't know for whose convenience, certainly not the customers. All in all, this company couldn't care any less about its customers. They will happily screw you over time and time again and claim ignorance to the problem. Once I have this stupid card paid off, it's getting closed and the card is going in the shredder. I can't wait to be rid of these careless people.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I got the card, no problem. I used it, no problem. I made a payment in August BEFORE my bill was due, but because my math was off, my 120.00 debit payment to them was returned, "insufficient"... Okay, that was my fault. Tried to make a payment again... Cannot access my account. Have to call to make payment. Charged an additional 9.95 to make the payment over the phone. Still cannot access my account... Call customer service and that is when they told I cannot access my account because they closed it... Claimed that 3 payments were non sufficient. When I explained that it was only 1 payment, he stated, "Well our records show three. Tried talking to the CSR and he was, to say the least, unhelpful. When I asked why they never told me that my account would be closed, he said, "Why would we tell you that?" Never again. This is not a good way to run a company.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Closure of account with no confirmation or validation I contacted Credit One to ask why they never reported to the credit bureau of a decrease in balance. I asked why they only reported an increase in my balance. The representative never could explain why. I stated that I got this card to help my credit and this card has only hurt my credit. I have made every payment on time and I paid more than the minimum.

I asked what were the procedures on closing the account. After that the call disconnected. I went online and tried to make an additional payment and noticed that the account had been closed. I called and asked why the account had been closed. I was told by the representative that It is up to the representative's discretion to close the account without confirmation even if the call is disconnected. I asked to speak with a supervisor and none was available. He took my information for a callback. All I am wanting Credit One is to the right thing and reopen the account and report the credit bureau correctly and accurately. I only had a balance of $39.90 due on the account.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

They allowed a charge to go through 3 times that pushed my balance over the limit, it was attempted and declined then finally allowed after I decided to pay vendor with cash. The vendor reversed the charges to Credit One Bank and Credit One Bank still has not applied them to my account. It has been 5 months. I have been paying the interest on an extra $1500 of what should have been reversed charges. The robotic, script reading customer service representatives have not once given me an inkling that this will be resolved. I have faxed and emailed documents from the vendor and the vendor's proof of funds released to Credit One Bank. They deny receiving said documents. Meanwhile, it is wreaking havoc on my credit because I'm "over the limit" and I cannot purchase things on credit, or apply for a much needed loan. They're holding me hostage over $1500. I call every month and it's as if I'm calling for the first time. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I had a terrible experience today with Credit One Bank after being a customer for several years. I was booking a tour while on Vacation at Cayman Island. My transaction is denied and after calling customer service and been told I was denied because I was outside of United States and I didn't notified them before my trip. I was told 3 times to wait 5 minutes and run the charge again. I ended up not being able to use my card for this purchased. Then I used my Amex card and like everyone knows no problem at all using Amex when you travel. They are without a question the best credit card company in the whole world. P.S. Can't wait to get back home to cancel my 3 accounts with Credit One bank. They are really the worst credit card company in the market.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have a Credit One Bank card and, was using it often to increase my credit score. I would use it and, pay it off. They only allow you to pay 4 times a month which I was not aware of. Last month they added charges making me 30.00 over the limit on the day they report to the credit bureau. They turned me in as a high risk to all three bureau's for having a 30.00 over the limit and, it lowered my score by 46 points. I have been fighting with them and got nowhere to remove it. When you call the person you are talking to is very hard to understand. I do not recommend this card to anyone. BE AWARE!!! #creditonebank

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Their business practice is by far the worse I have ever done business with. They charge exorbitant amounts of fees, and when you try to ask a question they divert you to many other depts. I would NEVER recommend this company. As a Business owner, I don't normally complain about another company, but my experience with this company has been so bad, I had to report it!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Got approved, card showed up. I logged in to set up payment info, used the card once and my account was locked after that. I can't pay or do anything and I have faxed everything asked for. Go with Capital One instead.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

My credit card due is always 7th of the month. I use my phone and always on the go and always on the 7th. It has been the 3rd time in a row that this website is not working. In making payment the system will then say update bank information with a small deposit as a testing amount. This being said, it will be 24hr before I could access the acct. I will then call and speak with most unhelpful pea-brains in their call center. First 2 scenarios I was promised that no late fee and no express fee due to their web issues, but yet after 24hrs my account occurred late fee. I will then contact anyone that could help but I get a NO with the answer, "No record any agent waived any fee.” Therefore, no integrity.

Today, I called for the same issue and spoke to heartless moron male agent name RED (of course a fictitious name) ext#**. After expressing the frustration, this man expressed no apologies for the inconvenience and instead tried to preach me that their payment system is only compatible with desktop. Obviously, this boy has no listening skills. He then said he can assist me on the phone but he will charge $9.00 express payment fee because standard fee is not possible to be done over the phone (another bunch of **).

After a long talk he then said he will waive the express fee but cannot assure he can waive the late fee of $25.00. This company nickel and dime and make so much money from late fee from customers like me who can only pay right exactly on the day of. And this is a great opportunity for all of a sudden system not working and no matter how much I as a customer express it is the system at fault and not the customer...their ears, understanding, and considerations are still shut.

This company lacks the integrity. The agents lacks people skill, listening skill, and are just purely trained to be scumbags penny suckers for the company. The website modus operandi is a very sad way to trap customers into fees and get more money from customers. Do not sign up for this credit card. Look into credit union options. THE AGENTS ARE SO INCOMPETENT. THEYRE TRAINED TO READ SCRIPT AND HAS NO HUMANE SENSE. BEYOND RUDE AND HEARTLESS.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I had to rebuild my credit so I got a credit card from Credit One in April, everything was okay, wasn't happy about the annual rate. They charged right when I got the card or the 9.99$ they charge you to make a payment by phone!! So I decided to download the app and make payments on there. I made two payments, never heard from them so I assumed everything was fine. Today I tried to get on my app to check my account and it told me it was locked! So I called and they closed my account because my payments were returned because of their app malfunction!! On top of that they charged me two 25$ fees for each on and late fees putting my account over the limit! I didn't receive one email, one phone call, one email, nothing! I haven't even received a statement since I got the card!

So I called and talked to a non-English rep who was rude and made it out to be my fault and basically told me I'm screwed so I told him I want to cancel my card and he said, "Fine. But you still have to pay the remainder in money grams!" After reading these reviews I'm paying it off ASAP and telling them to shove it! They wouldn't even waive any of their fees since it was a technical error on their part! I'm liable! What a joke!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I received an application for Capital One credit card, but little did I know it was not, it was Credit One Bank which carried the Capital One Bank logo, and out of my total bill which was for lunch, the outstanding bill was $188.00, $75.00 was for the card use so therefore, my actual charges were a total $113.00. I paid the bill when received. Now, with them stating that they did not receive my payment, it was always late. I was charged and paid amount but, they then added an additional $30.00 for late fee. Not realizing calling them, I received a notice from Comcast asking if I wanted international calling service on my bill. I said No. I have no one abroad. Yes, I did, and little to my surprise I was calling India via their 800 number. My credit limit was suppose to be $300.00 and then they said $200.00. I told Comcast I told I had no knowledge that I was making an international call to India or Pakistan. I was now shocked again.

So now my current balance was approximately $188.00. Again, I spoke to the same exact gentlemen with an accent of Pakistan or India, and advised him in March, 2016 that I was sending him a check for $188.00 and closed my account and that will end this nonsense. This same gentleman told me in an Arabic accent "No you cannot close your account even if you pay, you cannot close this account." I said to him, "I closed my Macy's account, there was a prompt for it. How come every number I call you answer. Are you the only employer/employee of Credit One Bank." I sent him $188.00 and advised him to close the account, period, end this nonsense. Then after all, I was finished with them. No, I wasn't. I received a letter from a collection agency in San Diego, CA. Spoke to gentleman there, he said he bought my debt.

Then I get a notice from my identity service that Credit One Bank filed a notice that he wrote the account off as a loss. He kept that account opened, incurred me to pay an additional $75.00 for the card and late fees up to and including August 2017; I called the agency, at an 800 number, explained the situation to him and he said that he bought the debt for $600.00. He wanted now $600.00 from me. I said ridiculous. So I called his superior, who had an 800 number, lo and behold, it was the same gentleman all along. Now I get another collection letter inside an envelope that had a return address in Minnesota for a 40% discount. I said to myself If I paid it and the line of credit of $200.00 how in the world could I owe him $600.00? Plus he charged it off as a loss on his end. I owe no creditors even up to the present date.

I have paid and closed all accounts except for Capital One, Kohl's, Synchrony Bank for Care Credit for my service dog, which I also have medical insurance for the service dog and Wells Fargo, and Discover, which is almost paid off in full and for which I pay on time. Walmart insisted I keep it opened. I said, "No, thank you" and they advised him if there are any promotions they would reopened my account. I have been harassed by Credit One Bank, mind you the same gentleman with whom was always talking to him. I am advised by Equifax and Experian that it was removed from my credit report as Credit One Bank is not permitted to do business in the US, and more particularly in Florida, USA, for which I reside. I am a USA citizen and a horribly injured 9/11 survivor including but not limited to severe PTSD, which their phone threats to me have made my life literally havoc.

TransUnion acknowledges that although they do take liens from companies, that they are not aware of the conduct of Credit One Bank. Experian and Equifax, after a 32 page report to me from both credit agencies immediately took it off. I am not trying to avoid any obligations, that I may owe which I don't, Transunion will not follow suit with the fraud upon American citizens in this country. Their threats I hope and pray are not from ISIS as I would like to keep my head on my shoulders. In the event you require the 32 page back and front I will be gladly to furnish same to you upon your request.

Please keep in mind that Credit One Bank is not a corporation that can legally do business in the USA more particularly Florida. Not only that, but the same gentleman who owns Credit One Bank and the collection agency, came in two envelopes. The outer envelope was from Minnesota, but the contents had a San Diego address. Credit One Bank is definitely not a Delaware corporation. If you can figure this out, I would be more than happy to hear your comments and in all honesty, that are fraudulently aggravating, running USA credits and I can go on and on. As previously indicated, If you give me your address, I can afford with copies of Equifax and Experian who have come to the same conclusion. I thank you for your time and consideration herein, I remain.

Original review: July 30, 2017

Terrible place. Credit One is all about sharecropping. Their membership fees, plus interest and hidden charges make it almost impossible for anyone to place off the account, get out from under them & move on to something else. Recently I had my fill and decided to pay them completely off. I called to cancel the card & also to receive an exact $ amount for the payoff. (The due date was a couple of weeks away, so this was at the beginning of the new cycle).

Once receiving the info I had a bank manager from my personal bank assist me in arranging to have the funds sent to pay Credit One off electronically. Why? Credit One is a bogus outfit that often assesses illegal fees - just to see how much they can get by with. The bank manager put a tracer on the electronic check & the next day Credit One received the funds & deposited it in their Las Vegas operations bank. I thought that would be the end of it. No it wasn't.

A month later Credit One sent me a bill for 57.00 claiming this was interest I was being assessed on the paid off account. I called Credit One immediately and got nowhere. The next step was to get my personal bank involved & arranged for a 3 way phone conversation. My bank told Credit One right out those charges were bogus and illegal. After about 15 minutes Credit One dropped the charges and declared the account paid off. My bank also taped the conversation. So beware of Credit One. They operate just within the law & will try to take you for as much money as they can.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have never been able to open my electronic monthly statements. There is no information on how to solve this problem. And the only phone number I can find is a recorded prompt and no option to talk to customer service.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Trying to increase my credit score only to find out this company is a rip off. Opened account in May. Second week of June started receiving calls that I had to pay off my credit account in full because it was past due. I hadn't even received my card. The company billed me $75 annual fee and then charged a $25 late fee because the annual fee hadn't been paid. I hadn't even received a bill. Credit line was set at $300. I called and got nowhere with the person on the other end. I closed the account and now that will lower my credit score. Company is complete rip off. They will only make your credit score worse instead of better. DO NOT SIGN UP.

Original review: July 20, 2017

DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS CARD. I made payments through app. "Pay Near Me" payments take 2-5 business days. After payment is made, Credit One Bank will not credit your account until 1-2 days before your scheduled payment date. You cannot make purchases, it will decline due to credit limit balance due. Regardless how early you zero out your balance. They require a expedited payment to immediately credit your balance and free up card purchases. But you have to pay for this quick balance credit per single payment transaction. I will zero out my balance, cancel the card and give a big ** to this credit card business.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I'm in the process of "rebuilding" credit. Unfortunately I applied for this on the internet, not realizing that there would be a $75 "fee." They sent me a card, and I didn't activate it. Notice after 14 days it would be automatically closed. I got billed for $75 on a card I didn't even open! Went online and paid it after I called 1800 number to activate this. I should of stayed away from this company! I changed my mind about having it, and I don't see any way to close the account online.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I've had this card about 8 months because I desperately needed a credit card to help me out while I was on Maternity Leave. I've been paying my balances since January and the numbers look EXACTLY the same. It's like I put no money to it!! They've locked me out of my online account TWICE because I've made two payments of "insufficient funds" & I just finished speaking to a customer service associate about it and she was NO help. Now in order to get my online account back I have to write a LETTER to their corporate store in Nevada. Do yourself the favor and stay away from this company. Their customer service offices aren't even in the US and they can barely understand you sometimes. They're absolutely awful. I've already told them I'm closing this credit card the second it's paid off.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I didn't want to get this card to start my husband's credit, and I regret getting it now. I make the payments on his account. It is RIDICULOUS to have to pay extra to process a payment sooner. Every credit card I have had posts the amount immediately without having to pay extra and funds are available the next day. But not with Credit One. They charge $9.95. And if you do a standard payment, funds are not available for 5 or 6 business days.

A minimum payment was due on my husband's account. I tried to process a standard payment online. It said my request could not be processed at this time so to call this number. I called the number on Friday because the minimum payment is due Wednesday and the rep said they were going to process an express payment. I refused to pay it because the website was giving problems. The rep AGREED to waive the payment fee so it can post the same day since it was before 5pm and CONFIRMED that it was paid.

On the phone with them right now on Sunday, spoke with 2 reps who refused to verify if the payment posted without my husband's authorization. Then how can I process a payment without his authorization? Spoke to the manager. He reprocessed the payment and guaranteed it would go through this time once I spoke with my bank. It was showing up as declined, which is FALSE because my bank tells me about EVERY transaction. I called my bank and they have no record of the transaction.

Original review: July 10, 2017

After I got the card, I went to make a payment. I selected the Express Payment option and typed YES in their confirmation screen to pay it. I *thought* it went through, but it didn't. A few weeks later, I got put on the callbot again asking me to pay my balance -- to which I replied I had already paid the balance in full weeks earlier. Nope. And guess what? It went past 30 days, so they reported a late payment on my credit report. I have other cards and I have never missed a payment, so this report dropped my score nearly 90 points. I was shocked. I disputed it, asked for a goodwill adjustment since I paid the balance in full, only to be given generic, robotic responses that didn't even address the issue I had on their website.

Two things (one I should have done up front): 1. Always confirm your payment is made and get a confirmation number. I didn't do this because I had to run to a meeting right after I paid it and didn't realize there was an issue. (However, they should be able to see some record of my attempted payment in their web logs... but nobody even offered to do that to my written letter.) 2. Do not get this card. You are going to have to pay an annual fee right off the bat. Do yourself a favor and get a real secured card first and go from there.

If I had it to do over, I would not have ever signed up for this card. I haven't used the card since and have no intentions of doing so. I have been diligent about rebuilding my credit and the fact this card company -- in the business of helping people like me rebuild credit -- would be that disconnected and unwilling to work with me is the reason I have gone out of my way to find a legit review site and tell my story.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I have been a customer for over 2 years. I recently was asked by an employee why haven't offered me a credit increase. The process fee of $24.95 was never refunded after I was denied a credit increase. I was told this was a standard business practice. Before you accept a credit increase from this company please make sure you check your credit score and make at least $1200 dollars a month.

Original review: July 4, 2017

Credit One Bank is a buyer beware credit card. There are many other better cards for restarting your credit. Payment of the express payment fee does not result in next day available funds. IN FACT expect to have your funds held for an additional week after having the funds removed from your checking account. YOU ARE GIVING THEM A FREE LOAN AND YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT! No amount of complaining or advocating for yourself results in a solution. After nearly an hour of calls, the concern was heard but the outcome was hardly a resolution. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. It's your value, your time and money

Credit One Credit Card Company Information