1.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 246 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

958 Credit One Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Platinum Visa - This is absolutely the worst card to apply for. I wish I would have done research before I applied. There’s no way to get in contact with an actual human being. I have a charge on my account for something that I didn’t purchase and now my account is negative. I’m gonna pay this off and close my account asap.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The worst experience in my credit history has been dealing with Credit One Bank (AKA Capital One). As a customer, I was mislead what my annual fee would and did not realize for the past 3 years I was being charged 3 times as much as to what I agreed to upon agreeing to accept the credit card, which of course was spread out and billed each month. When I contacted customer service to explain the issue and requested the difference back, they said they were not able to credit back to my card because I had zero balance. They should change their name to "CUSTOMER NON-SERVICE".

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

They make their policies very unclear and then are very underhanded in explaining them - if they can explain them at all, I was able to tell the representative more about the user end of their website than he was able to understand. Example, it says you can change your due date as long as you are within 5 business days of your current due date. So, my due date was on the 5th, and on the 29th of the month before, I changed the due date to the 15th. A green check mark appeared in my online settings and said changed. No other information was displayed or emailed/texted to me (I'm on paperless settings, so I would not think I would receive anything postal mail).

I looked at my account yesterday, the 6th, and it still said the due date was the 5th, but nothing about a payment being due or past due. Then today, the 7th I got a text, "reminder, you have a past due balance on your card". I called, and they told me that the changed due date takes two billing cycles to change (nowhere on the website or card member agreement does it say that). Additionally, the reference to the "5 business days" indicates that you can move your due date 5 days before/after your current due date. But they automatically approved my 10 day request. At any rate, I talked to some guy and it sounded like he was in an open air market in downtown Bangladesh or something, SO LOUD in the background, which I am positive was thousands of other people calling to complain.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing. Their customer service is non-existent. They sent my card to the wrong address FOUR TIMES & their website when wanting to review my statement is mostly unavailable. Just the most FRUSTRATING ORGANIZATION TO DEAL WITH. Will pay this off & be done with them to save me the angst their card is causing me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I've had a Credit One card for years so I know how they roll. They charge me 8.50 a month just to carry the darn thing. So like a fool I fell for their latest scam. I got a offer for a second account. Offering no fee for a year. Man o man was I scammed... They just congratulated me when I called questioning why they charged me 60 bucks for a card that was supposed to be fee free. Here’s what I was told… “Congrats instead of paying once a month we charged you the whole 60. See now you don't owe us again for a year.” WOW wasn't that just so nice of them? BEWARE! That no fee scam offer they are sending out is a lie. Also if you accept it remember they are still charging you that 60 bucks whether you use the card or toss it in a drawer for a rainy day. So don't forget to make a payment on that no fee for a year card. Pure and simple entrapment.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Credit One Credit Card?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I applied for the Credit One card because I thought it was a Capitol One card. They requested I send them a copy of my social security card and driver's license. I wasn't comfortable sending a those over the internet. So I decided to do a little research on the company and it didn't look good. So I never sent the stuff they requested and I never received or activated any card. BUT THEY STILL BILLED ME! Claiming I owe them $100. I've called several times and they say they'll take care of it. But they never do. It just accrues more late fees. Last call today they told me to call back later. This company is a sham. I recommend don't even fill out an application because you will be billed for it. I don't understand how it's even legal to do what they do to people.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Received the Card and did not activate the card till 11/5/17. As of 11/28/17 they are telling me I'm 11 days late on my first payment. I have been unable to sign up on the website. It is never working. When you call to speak to a representative it hangs up on you. They tell me they mailed me my statement and I have still not received one. They tell me they emailed my statement but I am unable to view it because it won't let me create an account. They want to charge me a $25.00 late fee and $9.95 to pay over the phone since it looks like they make it impossible to pay your bill any other way. THEY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED AND SHUT DOWN!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Wish I could give them a zero! They call up to 10 times a day! Their fake card does not work. I called a couple months ago to cancel. They tried shaking me down for $138.50. Claiming annual fee plus service charges. Talked to some incompetent foreigners who shunted me to another supervisor who was foreign. Wasted almost an hour. They want your last 4 digits of your SS #. Supposedly cancelled and foreign guy would waive/drop all charges. Yea right! For past few weeks getting calls from my local area code. They don't leave messages. Answered today to get this resolved. Foreign dude named ARSON; Can't make this stuff up, tried shaking me down for same $138.50! Told him not paying. I already cancelled. He then threw me on hold with bad 80's music! Holding for supervisor. Of course supervisor line busy. So Arson gives me number to call with Pacific time hours. Asked Arson to e-mail me number. They can't do that. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Every month my account gets further and further behind. I had to make only the minimum payment on the account due to some money problems I was having because of a mistake with paperwork the state made and it's taken me 3 months to fix it. Now my account with Credit One bank is almost $200 over my credit limit. How are you suppose to pay off a card when you're obviously getting overcharged fees every month. Also whenever you make a payment with your debit card they charge you $10 just to make a payment? That's an extra $120 a year they are charging you to pay them. How does that make any sense? I just want to shut this card off and pay the thing off.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My experience with this card was good. I paid my bill every month on time, received a credit line increase after 7 months. Also got cash back, (only 1 percent) but every little bit helps. If you pay your on time and don't bounce checks payable to them you should not have a problem. My credit score increased 52 points over 6 months.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

This credit card company is an absolute nightmare! When I received the pre-approved application in the mail, their logo looked exactly like Capital One and since I was trying to rebuild credit, Capital One is a reputable place to start. Needless to say, when I received the card in the mail and took a closer look, it was NOT what I thought it was! However, I thought I would give them a try. But after I received my first statement, I realized they were charging me daily fees and interest. I paid the balance immediately and called to close the account.

Of course they talked me out of it by telling me they would give me credit to make up for the fees. All was going well until this month. I just attempted to make a payment, but they would not allow me to stating that I had already made (4) payments in 30 days, which is the LIMIT... What?!? Since when does a company refuse a payment? This one, so they can charge more interest by refusing to let me pay off my balance!!! Absolutely Absurd!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - I opened an account to establish credit. I was told that every year there is a $75 fee to have the card. Instead they started charging my card a $8 monthly fee for the use and I received NO notice. Then after a few months they demanded I pay a late fee of $35 dollar each month the $8 was not paid! I asked them why they didn't ask or notify me of the change from the one fee of $75 a year to a $8 monthly fee to have the card. They told me the contract allows them to make changes to the fee as they wish. I paid and closed the account, but I do expect more issues. The customer service is in India and they act like they don't understand English and understand what you are asking. It took several attempts to get a manager to close the account also. JUST DON'T SIGN UP!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I am very disappointed with the way they do their business. I have 4 other credit cards and they do not charge the annual fee until the end of the first year. First year is usually free for most of the banks, but this bank just wants to take money from you from all the possible ways. I was charged the annual fee in the first month's bill itself which I believe is very unfair and unacceptable. They really need to work on this and make their business more customer oriented and customer friendly rather than just being money oriented. I am pretty sure there is more than one reason for this bank to consistently maintain a very well deserved single star rating on Consumer Affairs' web page. I would never recommend anybody to go for this bank!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I received this credit card a few days ago. I attempted to make a online payment today and I was unable to log in. I attempted to call ALL OF THE PHONE NUMBERS listed on my card, and the website, and ALL OF THEM are saying disconnected or a busy signal. How do I prevent any serious damage to my Credit?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Lots of things wrong with this company. Their annual fee of $75 was not disclosed on the initial offer. Only four payments allowed per month. Takes 10 days for a payment to reflect in available credit.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I wish I had read the reviews here before getting this credit card from Credit One Bank. I, too, paid an enrollment fee. I didn't realize it at the time and was able to make my first payment online. I paid off the card and was going to close the account. When I called Customer Service to close the account, I spoke with someone who could barely speak English who convinced me to keep the card -- they would credit my account $25. And they upped the limit to $400. Tonight, I tried to get online to make a payment. I could not get on. I set up my online account over and over and kept getting a prompt telling me my password or username was incorrect. I had printed off the access information, so I KNOW I was using the correct username and password. And I tried both Chrome and IE.

I called Credit One Bank and spoke with yet another person I could barely understand. She allowed me to make a payment -- waiving the usual fee -- this time around. She said I should call back and speak with someone in Customer Service to get my online account back up and running. I can't see what charges have been made to my account. I'm supposedly over my limit by $6. I am definitely going to pay off this card and close this account. I, like so many others in the reviews I have read, was trying to better my credit. Lesson learned!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I spent the first 10 years of my career working for the credit card company MBNA America so I know credit card policy and customer service quite well. I can truly say this is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. The product is for high risk borrowers and is used as a starter or rebuilding card. They are fee happy and the APR’s are insane. I took a card at a promotion and it was a huge mistake. I have had the car for 4 years and not once have I ever been late or maxed out the credit limit. Well, this fall brought hurricane Irma to Florida and forced us into a temporary living situation for a month. We had to open a new banking account and this card and its $85 balance went 2 days past due. I called Credit One and let them know we would be paying it off as soon as the new account is set up (about a week). They said no problem and waived a late fee and said there was no payment due to November.

A week and 67 collection calls later I finally pick up just to hear the rep go into a script that ends with "may I have your debit card number". I told him the situation and it was like he didn't even listen. He asked for my debit card again. I asked for a manager and after a long verbal dispute I finally got a manager. Credit One outsources to Noida, India and having spent time there, I can tell you they are hiring minimally qualified script readers who struggle to comprehend conversation. Painful, frustrating conversations that go around in circles regardless if you are right or not. They will call you multiple times a day on every number you have provided. They use local area codes to trick you. They don't listen, don't care and don't understand. This is a bare bones operation that preys on people who may not know any better. Please avoid this company at all cost, literally and figuratively.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

ON THE ADVICE OF LEGAL COUNSEL - Under the guidance of my legal representative I am presenting this document with the intention of presenting evidence in a court of law. It is unmistakably obvious that your actions regarding my account are either the result of your reckless negligence and unmitigated ignorance of how to run a company; more than likely, a well-organized, conspiratorial, fraudulent attempt to extort of funds with no moral or ethical compass and no sense of dignity or liability. I AM AN ETHICAL AND HONEST MAN!!!

I had read the countless negative reviews of your company and the incompetency and inconsistency of your “Customer Service Department”. Still, foolishly I thought I would give you an opportunity and take a chance. It was my objective to be honorable and straightforward in my dealings with you. It was my intention to reestablish my credit which was suffering due to unfortunate circumstances on my part. I accepted your offer in good faith, set up a payment plan with my bank (giving you the account and routing numbers). You on the other dirty hand, decided to unscrupulously alter the last digits of my account and routing numbers thereby causing my first payment to collapse and my Credit One account to be frozen, thereby opening the door for you to stop my ability to pay online through my bank account and henceforth create a paradigm to charge me late fees and accrued interest.

THE FOLLOWING IS A RECREATION OF THE EVENTS AS THEY OCCURRED IN REAL TIME TO BE USED AS EVIDENCE IN A COURT OF LAW: I received my card in August and began to use it: On 9/8/ 2017 I requested “Change of due date” for my payment, and authorized two payments of $25 and $30 to you. On 9/9/2017 I received an Account Notifications: "Your account notification preferences have been updated." On 9/9/2017 I received an Account Notifications: 9/8/2017 Payment: You authorized a one-time payment in the amount of $30.00 from your Bank Account ending in **. This will post to your Credit One Bank credit card account on 9/08/2017. Your funds will be available on 9/15/2017. Note that this number (**) is INCORRECT. It is a mix of the last 2 numbers of both my routing number and my account number. (Intentional on your part?)

On 9/11/2017 you asked for a Bank Account Verification: Two small deposits have now been made to your Bank Account. Please check with your financial institution and note the two deposit amounts. Click/tap here then enter the amounts into the provided fields. Note that no deposits were made in my bank because YOU! USED A WRONG NUMBER! “THEN MY ACCOUNT WAS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED”. I called your Customer Service and spoke to someone and pointed out the discrepancy. She recognized it and made the correction. I was told the account would be activated within 48 hours. NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! I CALLED AGAIN! THEY TOLD ME IT WOULD BE ACTIVATE BY TOMORROW BY NOON. NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! I called again! Nothing happened!!!!

Then on 9/23/2017 I received an Account Notifications: "As part of the Bank Account Verification process, two small deposits have now been made into your Bank Account. Please follow the steps below to complete the verification process: Contact your financial institution and note the amount of these two deposits. Sign in to Online Account Access and enter the two deposit amounts." NOTHING HAPPENED!!!! No deposits were made to my bank!!! How can I make my payment if I can’t get into the System???? Finally, On October 4, 2017, I reluctantly placed one more call to Customer Service: I spent 5 minutes explaining my situation to your representative and was put on hold for 20 Minutes. It had been over a month since I’ve been dealing with this matter and you have done nothing to reconcile your mistake thereby putting me in interest and late fee jeopardy!!

ON OCTOBER 18, 2017; JUST TO PUT ICING ON THE CAKE, I GET AN EMAIL FROM YOU TO CHECK MY ACCOUNT FOR A MESSAGE. How can I check for a message if I can’t get into the system???? Then, the following day I get a call from your representative, who seems to know absolutely nothing about my account problems, and wants to hustle me into paying $75 on a ludicrous bill of $275 brought on by your negligence in screwing up my account! I told him to close my account! Then on 10/22/2017 I get a billing statement and a notice that my account has been closed! (Really?) I don’t trust you or your so called “organization! I will not send you a check, nor will I give you my debit card number. So sharks, offer me a solution! You created this mess, you clean it up!

For the record: I am a retired vet, living in an adult foster care on social security retirement. My credit score is in the toilet, I was trying to fix it! I don’t care if you screw it up more it doesn’t matter to me! I have no assets! You can’t touch my social security. I have no other source of income! All phone calls and threats are futile! ON THE ADVICE OF LEGAL COUNSEL, I WILL BE FORWARDING COPIES OF THIS COMPLAINT TO THE FOLLOWING GOVERNMENT AGENCIES: Michigan Department of Attorney General, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Better Business Bureau, FDIC, Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I paid off this credit card and the moment the payment cleared my bank they suspended my account, claiming the payment was too large and I needed to provide a verification letter from my bank. The payment was less than $1000. I paid off two other cards with higher balances yet this was the first and only one to claim this none since. And they do not have a legal department. I believe it’s time for my attorney to take action.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I received a pre-approved credit card offer in the mail to my home address. Applied for card, received approval, and received card in the mail. One day after receiving the credit card I got a letter from Credit One indicating they need me to submit a copy of my driver's license to verify my address and that my card had been blocked until this info was provided. ** - YOU'RE THE ONES WHO SENT ME THE OFFER!! AT MY HOME ADDRESS!! You KNOW my address. So I called their customer service number.

Got someone who barely speaks English and he could only repeat whatever was on his script for how to handle these kind of phone calls. He agreed it made no sense. A quick Google search looking for similar issues with this bank led me to this site. It's clear that they arbitrarily throw roadblocks at their customers asking for manual documentation of stuff that is easily verifiable by electronic means or by reviewing the application information. This bank is shady as **. Do not do business with them. I'm closing my account before I get tossed into the nightmare situation of trying to pay off my balance or some other ** they come up with to screw with their customers.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been with this company for about 2 yrs now... And had no real problems with them, until now. I recently joined with a new bank (how I usually would pay my credit card bill). I must have input the account info incorrectly so my credit card was never paid (I assumed it was because I had it automatically taken out of my bank account) so when it time to make payments again I called to verify information with one of the Credit One representative and they assured me I updated my account information and funds would be taken out.

So when I go to check my account online I see my account is locked. I called and spoke with a nasty ** representative named Kim who in the end ended up hanging up on me. I told her I previously spoke with a rep and they assured me that they updated my card info and funds would be taken out of my account... Which she tried to make me seem as though I am lying... Saying they cannot update any info online. So I asked her, "Then what are you verifying information if you guys had incorrect information and I give you the correct information what are you updating." So therefore whoever I spoke to never updated my information online, therefore I gave them the correct information and they did nothing with it leading up to my account being closed. I am going to make sure I take this to the higher ups because they are wrong!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Be aware when applying for this card! It may say that you have a $300 balance but you actually have a $225 balance. Be advised that there is a monthly $75 "monthly annual fee" that comes out off the top which has you paying more than you use. I'm making my payment and canceling this card. Please choose another company!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

A few weeks ago I noticed my card had been compromised so I called them to let them know of the fraudulent charges. They sent me a new card and they did remove SOME of the charges but not all of them. The charges had amounted to well over $100 but they only credited me for $60. So I logged in (a feat in itself) to review all of my past statements. Of course, the website will not let me open any of my statements. It will "say" that I have but their site will not let me open, view or print any of my statements. Today I called to find out how I can get copies of my statements and was told I would have to wait until November because my account was new. I have never in my life heard of such a ridiculous response as this. They really should give the people in India better excuses. So I asked her if she could email the statements to me and, at first, she said she could.

Then as our conversation continued she changed her story to "no, that is something I cannot do." (Of course). So I asked her if she could mail them to me. We'll see if I ever get my statements. They are probably working on them to compromise the fraudulent charges. Just now, I received my monthly statement email from them. I have been trying repeatedly to log in but it just keeps sending me in a loop saying it was not able to log me in. Even though I can see my name in the upper right hand corner. Lovely. These jackasses need to be investigated. I don't know what kind of a scam they are running but they should be shut down and put in jail. This is ridiculous. I have no choice but to spread the truth about Credit One Bank on social media. Be warned... They will screw you over.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Please beware before applying for a credit card with this company. I have been in a very tough spot financially and resorted to applying with them, was approved with a $300 credit limit and figured I would keep the card tucked away for any emergencies that arose (medical, car, etc). Fast forward to exactly 30 days later and I still have not even received the actual card in the mail - instead, today I received a bill for $75 labeled as an "Annual Fee." I was charged a fee for a card that I have not received, activated, or used.

These "Set-up and Maintenance Fees" were outlined in the terms and conditions which is tucked away in a link which is separate from the actual application form, and it does state clearly that if you're established with a $300 credit line you will be charged an annual "Membership Fee" of $75 thus decreasing your available credit. The website does not require you to read the terms and conditions before proceeding (most honest companies do, I'm sure we all know those annoying pop-ups that make you check the box indicating that you read through the fine print). I will admit that I am an idiot for not catching this during the application process, and for assuming there were no catches with this card. But I don't want anyone to make the same mistake that I did.

So as fair warning, stay away from this "company." It is an intentional scam, and I believe they are trying to hook people who skim or skip the fine print completely so that they can have them activate these cards and be held accountable for these "membership fees." I am still floored to have received a bill without even having the physical card in my possession, or even access to the card number. Once you have activated this card, they steal your money - and if you don't pay these incredulous fees, they start charging late fees at $37 a pop.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

This company charges you a monthly fee and also charges you a fee to increase your credit limit. The customer service dept is out of India and they are rude, abrasive and sarcastic. I canceled my card with them because it was expensive... fees, fees, fees! THERE ARE BETTER OPTIONS!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Is it possible to do a class action suit with these guys since they decided to suspend my account (looks like others also) without letting us know first? It was embarrassing when I went to make a purchase and the card was declined because of this. I had the available credit.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My complaint isn't about the card, it's the company that I have a problem with! If you are one day late on your payment, they will call you once every hour! And if you decide to answer for them, the collector will either have an attitude or will try to intimidate you into making a payment. Not cool, I'm very annoyed. Once I pay off the balance, I'm getting rid of the card.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Use the card to establish credit. When trying to make payments the website would always say webpage not available. When trying to make a phone payment that would even be made complicated so finally I was called to make a payment. Paid my loan in full and closed the account just to get another bill mailed to me regarding my account being open. Called again just to talk to some outsourced place. Said my account is to be closed and they said it already is, I said, "Then why do I have a bill?" Said it's closed. Asked for some confirmation number. Said they would mail me a letter. Just received in August. Now my credit score states I am delinquent on payments!! Never use this card.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I received this credit card at the same time Capital One was sending replacement credit cards with chips. When I received I didn't take a good enough look at the logo (they are intentionally deceptive). I put it in my wallet thinking it was my Credit One card with new chip. Go to dinner with friends, submit the card for payment - again not noticing it's not my Credit One card.

A couple days later I go to the store, present the same card and it's declined. I use another card to pay and call Credit One when I get home to find out why my charge didn't go thru. After a few minutes on the phone with Credit One I take out the card and realize it's not a Credit One card. I contacted Credit One, was convinced to keep the card but decided I would pay the balance and cut it up. I felt deceived. First statement brings a bigger surprise. My $40 dinner now totaled almost $200 with start up fees. I paid my total thinking lesson learned. Check before I put anything in my wallet.

I cannot articulate what their process is with payments and fees and timing. But I was off because apparently I incurred more fees. Hopefully the end of this nightmare is near. They got an $800 judgment against me and a lien against my bank account. I called them several time to explain what happened in an attempt to get fees credited but they don't talk to anyone who owes less than $1000.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

It is my first month with the card and my statement reflected my minimum balance would be due on 16 September. I sent a bank to bank payment on 13 September and checked daily on my checking account if the payment had yet been deducted. Well, today is the 18th and I was notified the payment had been returned without any reason as to why.

I called Credit One's customer service, which took many many tries to get into. They told me possibly the payment will clear within another 5 days but that they recommended me to use Express Pay (9.95) in the future. He also told me to pay 10 days before the due date. I told the agent I wasn't interested in paying a late fee and he asked would I prefer to pay 25 or 9.95.

The other issue... It was near impossible to set up my online banking with Credit One. The app and website both kept returning an error which claimed my username and/or password attempts were incorrect. I made sure to write them down after 8 tries. Eventually it worked, but it wasn't easy. I suspect this, along with their circular electronic prompt on the phone, is part of a tactic to make customers crazy so they give up and face a late penalty. Website and customer service: NOT user friendly. I am still unsure as to why my transfer was returned and apparently (based on prior reviews), bill pay is not accepted.

Credit One Credit Card Company Information