Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
PayPal Credit
3.68/5

PayPal Credit

formerly Bill Me Later

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

536 PayPal Credit Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have never had any problems with PayPal until Synchrony Bank took over and now that's all I have. I just spent over an hour on the phone trying to link my bank account to my PayPal account and still haven't gotten it done. And this thing about sending two small deposits to your account and retrieving them in order to verify is crazy. And why is Synchrony bank taking over all charge accounts? They also control WalMart's credit accounts and several others. Not a big fan of Synchrony Bank. After today's experience I would give them a negative rating.

Original review: June 30, 2019

For many years I used Bill Me Later in sync with my PayPal account. As the changes have impacted customers like me, the takeover by Synchrony Bank has meant higher rates, continued and constant invasions of my privacy for advertising, lack of customer service support, arrogant and disinterested employees who continually recite scripts after ruining a person's life with their standardized "takeover" policies that do not include any consideration for the many years of establishing an excellent and perfect credit history with this lender. I've been insulted beyond words by having my account closed inexplicably. I suggest staying away regardless of their hard-sell, in-your-face promotion campaigns. They don't deliver.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Anything over $99.00 is considered promotional and you have 6 mos to pay interest free, so you do this. Then you charge something non-promotional for $50.00. Then you make a payment of $50.00 that same month. Do you think that payment pays off your non-promotional charge? No it doesn't, they split the payment up between the 2 charges leaving you with a partially unpaid balance of your $50.00 charge to carry over into the next month where you are charged interest on it. I clarified this with a C.S. rep that told me you have to call them and request the payment goes exclusively towards the non-promotional charge. Beware.

Original review: June 24, 2019

In December 2018 I decided to get PayPal credit so I could buy my grandson's a Christmas present. I've used it a few times since then. I recently noticed that they are charging me extra "interest on top of interest" saying that I got cash advances on two occasions. I don't have a card but rather have virtual credit to shop online. I have never gotten a cash advance. Because they do not send out a statement, it is very easy to forget to make a payment. Of course I forgot one month so now my interest rate is astronomical! Y'all be careful!!!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I mailed a payment for 150 the full balance of my PayPal credit that I regret getting but I was in a pinch and figured I’ll just pay it off in 2 weeks when I get paid. Ha! So on June 13 I mailed the payment to address given by PayPal and nothing showing on my account that I paid anything. I contacted them thru chat to confirm I had the correct mailing address and the chat person confirmed I mailed it to the correct payment address.

I asked why the payment wasn’t showing. She then suggested I need to mail my payment to the address she stated. Which I already told her “I DID THAT”. Then they state they cannot access anything and do not know other than for me to mail another 150 USD which they can’t seem to find the 1st one I sent. Never again. I’m closing and deleting everything to do with eBay and PayPal once I get this resolved and probably have to pay 100 percent interest by paying another 150 dollars. Avoid PayPal at all cost. Listen to the complaints they are real. WORST ONLINE EXPERIENCE EVER!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: June 18, 2019

Today I called PayPal to figure out why I was charged interest despite of having paid 50% of my balance between April and May and the rest on June 14th. They said that I missed one payment that was due on June 10th. The rep also said that I was notified about the amount I had to pay by June 10th to avoid interest charge. I checked my mailbox and there was no notification from PayPal about that. The rep to whom I spoke was quite agitated and interrupted me several times. The rep came to a point of saying that PayPal would not do anything to help me out because I was just one more person in a million who was crying about a very common problem. The rep also told me that PayPal would not do anything to help me because all keeping their policy is above customer service. And of course I asked why customers were less important than the policy and the rep simply dismissed me with a vague answer.

After that I asked for a supervisor and after 5 min on hold the supervisor greeted me, but did not say anything meaningful. I asked the supervisor to check how long I had my PayPal account. They replied "since 2010" and that was it. My conclusion is that PayPal is a company that really care about their policy, but what about customers? Well, saying that they do not care about their customers is an understatement. It looks like that the company that used to care so much about their customers turned sour.

Original review: June 10, 2019

First I am on disability and if anyone knows it takes over a year to be approved this mortgage not paid so finally approved and have my ss and an $1800.00 modified payments. To get to the post iTunes allowed my son to charge my bank and $1160.58 in one month without even verifying if ok. I called iTunes and spoke with a pleasant customer support named Larry. I was in tears when I called explaining I have ss for major depression disorder and that he never had permission to spend $1160.58 in a month. He politely stated he would email me instructed on how to put security on acct but would not refund me anything.

I am not tech savvy AT all! It’s hard for me to figure out my smartphone. I could barely catch my breath but thanked him anyway. He never sent the instructions.. He told me to get in touch with my bank which charged me $36.00 in overdrafts from each charge I didn’t have in my checking to cover. Please give me some advice. Sincerely Mrs **

Original review: June 6, 2019

I purchased a washer and dryer from Home Depot April 18, 2019. The system had made a mistake about the address delivery so I called Home Depot and they resolve the issue right away and cancelled my order and refund the money at the same day. It shows in my account the merchandise fully refunded the amount and yet the PayPal Credit still want me to pay the $889.60. It is really frustrating. I called PayPal customer service and the answer was "Ohh you still have time to pay for 6 months", haha, big joke. I also reached out the chat helpline stating "I can't help you, this issue you have to call the PayPal Credit and why you want a money back. The money was already refunded to you". Ya, no kidding. That was my problem.

Why the heck they want me to pay the amount which is I don't have the items and that was fully refund. All I want is just to remove the amount of $889.60 because it wasn't part of my special financing anymore since it was cancelled and fully refund. Stay away from PayPal. You think you could save money because of the promo so called 6 months to pay without interest. I have been a member of PayPal since 2014 and I have a few merchandises was cancelled and fully refunded. They may be make me pay for that as well since I don't check my account more often because the purchase it wasn't much as this $889.60. I will pay off the rest of what I owed from PayPal except the amount that I am not supposed to. Again stay away from them. They are theft. I felt bad I recommend them to all my friends. It was embarrassing now.

Original review: May 31, 2019

PayPal Credit allows you to defer interest for 6 months for purchases of 100 or more. They also have promotional offers which allow you to have transactions that have interest free, fixed monthly payments. These are great offerings, however; If you actively use both... They deceptively apply any excess payments (over the minimum monthly due) to the monthly fixed payment first.

This means that you cannot make the necessary excess payments to your deferred interest payments until you have completely paid off the monthly promotional offer (completely defeating the purpose of the monthly promo offer and ultimately resulting in the consumer having to pay the interest when the deferred interest transaction expires). Note: Reading though the PayPal community you can call and have your payments allocated but, it's incredibly hard and inconvenient to track. My advice would be to simply stay away!!!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I made a purchase for $103 for 4 shirts from Xi Orderplus Network Technology Co., Ltd. I wasn’t getting the shirts so I put in a complaint with the resolution center. Eventually I did get two of the shirts and PayPal wrote that my resolution was closed because they had information that I had received my package. When I try to follow up that I only got half my package there was no response from PayPal or the company listed above. I am now short half the order which equals $51.51. I will never use PayPal again!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I want to warn anyone and everyone! PayPal Credit is horrible about allowing transactions if you are new to PayPal! I started a PayPal just to get the credit! I regret ever opening the account. I was given a $3500.00 of which only $83.00 was an acceptable purchase!! I am trying to buy tires from Walmart a merchant of PayPal!!! I am making my 5th call to them after I write this!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I've had a PayPal account for over a decade with the same bank. PayPal has let me down big time in the past, refusing to process payments I sent businesses because they, PayPal, felt the payments were fraudulent. Even after contacting PayPal by phone to resolve the issues, they never were resolved and I had to find other ways to make my payments.

But recently I found limitations on my account--essentially a freeze on all account activity until I provided records (KYC/AML) to PayPal's satisfaction. I'm sick of my private data being stored on company after company's server just waiting for a hacker or someone else to steal the data. Then it's the consumer who has to deal with the fall out (identity theft...). I spoke with a PP customer service agent today and asked for a guarantee my private data would never be accessed inappropriately. She couldn't guarantee this but still demanded I submit to their intrusive, draconian verification system, spouting laws all the while--as if those laws protected consumers from hackers and other data breach events.

I tried to close my PP account but PayPal refuses to close the account AND refuses to return my money in my account to me--even to the same bank I've used for the past decade with Paypal. This is exactly why so many people are abandoning traditional banks and choosing to invest in technology that allows us to be our own banks. These increasingly intrusive laws turn private, free citizens back into subjects of the state. And these companies, like PayPal, use these new laws as excuses to keep your money "legally" if you don't want to give them even more private information and put yourself at increased risk. Reprehensible.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Do not use this service. They lie about everything then they call you 20 times a day (even on weekends). I had to block their number due to the excessive calls from them. I still have them on call logs and plan to sue due to harassment.

Original review: April 29, 2019

So a few months back, PayPal changed banks. They did away with the no payments for 6 months which was annoying but their decision. I liked using the no interest for 6 months so it wasn't a big deal. I always pay my purchases off before the 6 months. However, in the last 60 days, I have had issue after issue. If you make a payment on a no interest plan BEFORE 30 days that it comes due, they don't credit it to the one that expires the soonest. If you want it credited that way, you have to call them, wait on hold for forever, and have them do it. Ok. Lesson learned. So I started scheduling an additional lump sum payment in addition to my auto pay.

Well, somehow (which btw no one from PayPal can tell me how) my auto pay that was set up for more than 12 months suddenly stopped. No notice. I found it while reconciling my bank statement that they never took the payment. They did agree to refund the late fees, which was nice, but again...annoying. So I set up the auto payment again, for the minimum monthly due and I schedule a lump sum for two lines I have coming due that month so that between the two, it was more than enough to cover the full amount that was about to expire.

I logged on again today to check that it was allocated correctly, and found that they took the lump sum, then canceled my auto pay for the month saying that there was $0.00 due so my payment actually ended up being short, now causing me to pay the accrued interest. There was no indication in any of the emails that this would happen. It's not on the statement. It's not in their help center. It's nowhere that this is a documented process. The minimum payment due when the statement closes is what should be the amount due and the amount taken if they allow you to make additional payments. This is insane. I hope this gets fixed or I will be taking my business elsewhere and looking for an attorney.

Original review: April 27, 2019

How about a class action lawsuit? I'm sure you've ripped off many others as you have me! Made a purchase using PayPal, my preferred payment method on PayPal is PayPal Credit. So why is it that PayPal took it from my checking account? If PayPal can't honor their agreement with the customer, they shouldn't be offered as a payment option. Sounds shady and illegal to me. Let's see if a judge agrees!?

Original review: April 22, 2019

I have been a member in good standing of PayPal since 2015. I do not have any chargebacks nor any complaints. Out of the blue on April 18th 2019 PayPal decided to put a permanent limitation on my account. Essentially freezing all my funds and not allowing me to use their service anymore. What I would like to know is what do they think I did? I reviewed their “Acceptable Use Policy” and can find nowhere that I have violated it. They are holding over $**** of my funds that I am not able to access for six months. I need this money so that I can continue running my business. I do not think it is fair to banned me from PayPal especially when I have not committed any crimes.

I contacted PayPal and told them I would like to start an appeal. All they did was send me back another form letter saying that I violated their acceptable use policy but did not indicate what specifically I violated. There have been many, many other people that have been terminated under false pretenses all over the world. This is a common complaint about PayPal. What I’m looking for is:

1) For all of my funds, to be immediately sent to my bank account.
2) To reinstate me into PayPal as a member in good standing.

3) Explain to me what specifically they are saying I did wrong and apologize.

Again I have no complaints against me, no chargebacks and I’ve had zero issues with PayPal from the beginning. I am a small business owner and it is unconscionable that PayPal without warning, decides to hold my business and my money hostage. PayPal has not explained what is going on despite many attempts to contact someone over there. I warn anyone against putting their money or doing any business with PayPal.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Two days ago, after seeing on a PayPal screen that they did no-fee transfers to relatives, I attempted to reimburse $$ my son had fronted for airfare. The process went poorly, confusingly, and it seemed to "stick" in the middle. I decided it was a "no-go". However the next day my son was able to claim the transfer, but contrary to PayPal's promise, he was charged an unreasonable $55 fee.

When I called to complain, the rep told me that I had made an erroneous choice on a screen I saw. EXCEPT I WASN'T SHOWN THAT SCREEN THAT DAY, AND I WILL SWEAR IT ON THE STRENGTH OF 50+ YEARS IN PRESBYTERIAN MINISTRY. The rep was unmoved, but did give me the address of the corporate office. I have closed my account, will write my complaint to corporate -- including a copy to the Maryland state AG -- and am happy to denigrate PayPal here. Their complaint process is insulting. "The customer is always wrong." I'm tempted to pray for PayPal's bankruptcy and legal prosecution.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Over the years I’ve made several purchases on eBay and used PayPal as the processor, as required. There have been several instances in which I have received refunds from sellers and PayPal keeps the money. I have to call them to get the money credited back to my account. Highly unethical company. I hate doing business with them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I closed my PayPal account and at the time I didn't owe them money and now they are claiming that I owe them money. First it was $29 last month. And now they increased it to $79 for the minimum payment and are also saying that I owe them $844 to avoid deferred and standard interest on my CLOSED account. They can send it to collection since I can't pay them since my account is closed. Hopefully they are not going to be harassing me anymore since I blocked them.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have had a PayPal account for 15 years. I purchased a computer 6 years ago through Bill Me Later and had a good experience. I somehow bought $27.00 worth of crackers through PayPal Credit (that what I was told). Didn't notice because I didn't buy anything for a few months until I logged in to make a payment on a purchase and found out that there was an outstanding balance. I called PayPal and explained that I didn't think I'd bought $27 through credit but wanted to pay it off. I explained that I hadn't purchased through the credit tab and if I did it was by accident. She agreed and waived the fees and said I wouldn't be affected.

Now I'm trying to buy another computer and my PayPal credit account was closed because I was 90 days late. I explained what happened and then I got the "Circle Your Wagons" I can't do anything circle. I have bought 10s of thousands of dollars of tires, carpet and appliances through Synchrony Bank and because of this screw-up that was suppose to be taken care of they won't let me buy my computer through PayPal's Credit Dept. PayPal NOW SUCKS!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I wouldn't wish PayPal Credit interest charges on my worst enemy. I had to cash out my life savings to pay these con artists off. I will NEVER be in debt again. Stick to using your bank. Otherwise this PayPal Credit will ruin your life literally.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Made a payment on app but payment never actualized for some reason, had no way to know since on app followed all instructions. Had sufficient funds, for some reason did not go through, resulted in charges. Was charged interest going back 6 months!!!

Original review: March 7, 2019

I purchased a Limited Edition PS4 (PlayStation Pro 500 Million edition gaming system) from a private seller on Jan 14, 2019 on eBay. This person sent me a tracking number stating that package was en route. This tracking number was for a flat rate envelope weighing 12 oz for an address in my city and NOT my address. On Jan 18th, I went to my post local office in Euless to have them to trace the tracking number and print me a report (Product Tracking & Reporting) so that I can show that I was scammed. I originally submitted the pdf of the document from the post office to PayPal Credit and spoke with a customer service rep adding addition info about the claim and after 45 days they denied my original claim saying that the seller “said the package was delivered”.

I immediately filed an appeal and submitted the same documents again along with my address and Driver’s license and spoke with the disputes department about looking at the claim and again they denied my appeal saying that the seller said it was delivered. I got my second denial from PayPal Credit on March 4, 2019. I called PayPal Customer Service and spoke with PayPal Customer Service agent who got me in contact with manager in in the disputes department and he read the document that I submitted over the phone verifying that the information was not only the wrong address, also that the actual package was a flat rate envelope weighing approximately 12 ounces. I don't know why they continue to side with this guy especially when I gave them verifiable proof from the United States Post Office. I do not want to pay for something I know I did not receive. AVOID THESE GUYS and eBay as well!

Original review: March 1, 2019

Paying off a “closed” PayPal Credit account “on time” with around 60% of every payment going towards interest (If payment is late, the late fee of $37 plus the interest makes my balance HIGHER than before making a payment!!!) and the customer service representative stated “the interest is higher in the earlier payments and decreases when it’s closer to paid off”... So after having over 70% percent of my initial balance paid off, how is it legal to say “60% of each payment going towards interest is the interest charged to early payments”. This account is at 19.99% annual rate. I’ve been making payments for years, having over 60% of ALL my payments going ONLY towards interest (not the account balance) on a CLOSED account is fraud. Very upset... Not giving them a penny more... send my account to collections. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH PAYPAL CREDIT.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

*Non-published edit* I used hypothetical balances but I've decided I should use all real legit numbers and info. The marriage started off fantastic. $99 gets you 6 month, no interest financing??? Who does that? On top. No monthly payments required? Say what? Then the honeymoon period was over. And she slowly started to change on me. Now she wants money every month. Became very high maintenance and made me monitor her actions due to poor money management. What a complete bipolar attitude change ìn just a few months

So it was 2018. Now 2019. And creditors Still have no self allocation tools on their sites for customers. A unnecessary hassle in these times. I should have a pay boxes next to every balance. That doesn't exist. So call customer service with no do it yourself. Now I have to talk to people. Expect a small amount of human error when doing so.

My biggest gripe is well, a couple things. 1. No normal plans (i.e. 6, 12, 18, 24, 36 month no interest). 2. Payment Hierarchy. 3. Disallowing customers to allocate their "minimum payments". 4. Dumb allocations. 5. NOT listing the non-promo/standard balance on site. 6. No self allocation tools for each individual balance. 7. Abandoned NO monthly payments option.

I have a couple of their 24 month "Hard" pay plans. Now this is supposed to be equal payments. Problem is their system can't do math. One is 24.95/m the other is 7.55/m. The 1st was a promo for eBay. Spend $600. I literally only had 600 left on my limit of $1,000. I got a tablet (598.80) for my nephew bday 6/2019. Had to find something for $1.20 exactly. Some useless eye pencil. Done. They split them up on the bill. 24.95/m + 0.05/m. I decided to pay the whole $1.20 'cause it was like Arsenio telling his guy to stop shooting that little gun in Harlem Nights. Annoying. My credit line was increased the next month to 2,000. I made another purchase for my niece & nephew of a bunk bed (549.99) + mattress (181.22). The bunk was cancelled because I don't do business where curbside delivery is involved. Paypal allowed me to keep the 24/m promo with the just the mattress??? Also I have five 6 month promotions.

As of Feb '19 I have a tiny non-promotional balance of $34.82. So in the hierarchy the 24 comes first. I got the one for $24.95/m in Oct. 2018 and the $7.55/m Nov. 2018. They add it together to $32.50 a month. Plus the other balances gets me a minimum pay of $59.50. When I make a payment their system won't pay it in the way you'd expect. For instance. 24.95 (stop - 34.55 left), 7.55 (stop - 27 left). Apply rest to non-promo. If none the next promo expiring so as not to charge you interest. You can pay more on your own. Simple right? Nope. What it will do is allocate $30+ to the 24.95/m. Maybe $5 to the 7.55/m. Then spread the 27 around wildly (unless you have less than two months due on a promo). Worst it will tack on some of that $27 to MORE of the 24 month pay. So in 3 months of paying 24.95 my balance should've been 523.95 instead it was 509.85. Mind you I have other promotions set to expire THIS YEAR!

Even when I make separate payments to make it child's play for their machine it STILL messes up. Basically (stealing) misallocating my money in a way that does a disservice. But when you question them about it they'll quote you some line out of their handbook. "It's for your benefit"??? Overpaying on a promo that's not due for 2 YEARS! How does that help me when I have debt due sooner? Effectively if not purposely making it more difficult to pay my debt off. Because those misallocated funds add up. Plus hampering you from spacing out your payments for as long as possible. The claim is it's due to excess. But how is there excess when there are other balances for the $27 to go to? The very reason they claim my minimum payment is the current amount to begin with???

Illogical, Irrational and Incompetent. For this they should feel some ignominy but I was met with condescension by one supervisor. Sort of braggadocio about the whole process. Regular customer service has always been helpful and polite though. I have to say NEVER use their 24 month easy pay. Especially IF you have other promos or plan to down the line. I certainly won't again. There's also an issue with not showing the correct payments left at times. But If they are a line of credit in which you'd use once for something specific and you can go to 2 years without using it again or don't mind overpaying it won't be bad for you. Also I use them for purchasing on unfamiliar sites for the perception of them being secure. So far no problems there.

So in summary. Too many changes for the worst. Poor choice of payment plans. Terrible allocations with no self allocation tools (or even choices for auto-allocation). Another major issue. No option on site to pay with a debit card. Only bank account or mail (???). I just scrubbed years worth of plans for PayPal Credit. Down to 1 purcahse a year (if that) for B.T.S. items. So very disappointing. 'Favorable Regression'. Coining the term for Paypal and others to follow and apply. *Phew* That was a lot. TL;DR? If it looks too good to be true...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My account was hacked allowing the hacker to also hack my bank account and change all contact information with PayPal. After it was all straightened out and I paid a couple thousand dollars they closed my PayPal Credit account. I of course received no communication from them since the info was all hacked. They will not reinstate the account.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Discover doesn't charge late fees. I was 2 days from the due date and assessed $35.00. This Bill Me Later (PayPal) Credit is in violation of charging consumers late fees. There has been tons of lawsuits on this subject. Citibank recently had to refund customers due to excessive late fee charges!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

PayPal Credit advertise that they would cover you up to 6 months interest fee. But as I later found out this will not cover money's sent or money received without an invoice. This was not made clear and you will be charged interest regardless. Also no way to do a credit transfer only bank transfer so it's the worst thing that can happen. Do not fall for the PayPal Credit advertisements, they are not clear on what kind of transactions are covered. Avoid it!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I took advantage of the six months with no interest or interest option. My payment was due on December 13 and I mailed the full payment on November 29th. Because of the Christmas rush PayPal processing was behind and they didn’t process my check until December 20th. On the 16th I was notified that my account was charged the accrued interest. I called their customer service and was told not to worry, that when the payment is processed the postmark would be examined and the interest charge would be reversed. On January 12th I received an email showing that the check was processed but the interest charge was not reversed. I called again and was told they had no idea when my payment was postmarked and would not reverse the charge. I have a perfect payment record with them and an 832 credit score, yet they treated me like dirt and stole a few dollars from me. I will never do business with PayPal again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Synchronicity made PayPal cut me off. I've used PayPal Credit for YEARS. Originally got it when I monetized my worldwide website. I always have paid on time and been in good standing, I rely on the account at the holidays. In August for no reason or explanation my available credit balance went to zero. It took me 2 months to get an answer - the new company Synchronicity was freezing accounts - no reasons no explanations. I'm done with this. What horrible treatment of good paying customers.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
www.billmelater.com