1.33/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

485 PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

Having this account was part of a packaged deal when applying for something else, otherwise would have never gotten this service. Apparently you can ONLY use a check or direct bank account transfer to do payments, no balance transfer or anything else. There are other ways to get financial assistance that provide better payment options than this service, until they make some upgrades, stay away and look to other BETTER options.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I applied for a PayPal credit card, issued by Synchrony Bank. I was turned down because they could not confirm my phone number. True, I had moved and changed the phone account, but I had notified PayPal of the change. No big deal so far. What is not acceptable is that I received a letter from TransUnion to the effect that Synchrony Bank's query about my application had triggered a fraud alert. I notified Synchrony Bank of this but received no response whatsoever. Imagine that, a credit card application triggers a fraud alert. The only terms I can use to describe this are slipshod operating procedure and unprofessional behavior.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2018

PayPal credit offers 6 months no interest for purchases over $100 or so they lead you to believe. You would have to read their terms and conditions online to know that if you do not pay off the total amount charged within the free 6 month period, they will charge you interest for the entire 6 months that it was supposed to be interest free. They also do not list interest charges on your activity page so unless you are viewing your monthly statement it is very easy not to notice. Very deceptive business practices. Also, their already high interest rate is being greatly increased by the new corporation, beware!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Longtime customer received notice that my Paypal account is changing from Comenity Capital Bank to Synchrony Bank and interest going up to 25.49%!!! No late payments ever. Should have law against this. I will be closing account.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Paypal Credit was awesome, my credit was less than stellar so I was happy with 19.99 though never paid it. Today I read that letter and pretty much determined I won't be using the service after July 2nd. Synchrony has already reduced my limit on one other card serviced by them. I imagine July 2nd I'll find that letter or an email stating they dropped my limit to .30 above my current balance simply to screw with my credit score. Paypal Credit was the one thing that allowed me to give my business to someone other than Amazon. Without PP Credit I have zero incentive to wait for shipping from other providers.

I can't wait for the full account changes to be published, I am guessing there will be something in there about missing a payment will terminate promos and jack rates even higher. Problem numeral uno with Public Companies, they do stupid stuff to please stockholders even if it hurts the very merchants that rely on its service or even in reality hurts the brand. I can predict merchants dumping PayPal and moving exclusively to affirm. But the Paypal investors won't care because there will be higher margins on the merchants they have left.

I feel bad for the people that have perfect credit and still get this high rate. Yes it's the way store cards operate, until now Paypal Credit was the lone exception. Looking back at the articles regarding this from last November, it's a good and safe bet that Synchrony will get the 19.99 Comenity used to get, and Paypal will get the rest. Or something to that effect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I've been a PayPal Credit user since it was Bill Me Later. I use it many, many times a month because it's so convenient. Always pay my bill on time, always more than the min. and always pay off the no interest balance before they are due. My last statement was returned to them by the post office, this was an issue with my post office not PayPal Credit, but, I contacted PayPal Credit as soon as I got the notice that the statement was returned to make sure everything was ok on their side of things. They confirmed the address was correct, and said everything was fine. It was a less than 2 minute phone call. This morning, I logged on to my PayPal Credit account to check the status of a payment. I noticed it said I had zero credit available, instead of the several thousands of credit I should have available. I figured it was a website issue (as it seems to go down for maintenance at least once a month) but I decided to call anyway.

I was told not only was it correct, my account had been put on "hold" because of the returned statement. I told the rep that I had already called and discussed the issue with them and was told that everything was fine, she questioned when I had called, which was less than a week ago. She told me the rep I talked to earlier in the week should have explained everything she said next... She told me that not only was my account on "hold" they could not do anything about it until JULY, because the bank is changing. I questioned why I was not told there was an issue when I called earlier in the week, and why they could not do anything about it since I had already verified all my info for them. She then stated they needed to send me information about the bank change over and because it was returned to them and that is why my account was on "hold" (wait... I thought it was the returned statement??).

She then said, regardless, they would not be able to do anything about it until July because "this change over needs to happen, and is important" (clearly their customers are not), never mind that I did exactly what I was supposed to and contacted them, and they told me there was no issue... From reading the other recent reviews, I assume what they want to send me is a notice telling me of the bank and APR change...and like everyone else, that APR is a deal breaker for me. Great way to treat your loyal customers PayPal Credit.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I had a long and valued relationship with paypal. When I started with Paypal Credit, quickly found myself confused and unable to understand what was going on with my banking. I found purchases as debits on both my bank statement and my Paypal credit statement. This included items NOT marked for payment by Paypal credit. I am left with a Paypal Credit statement with a balance due, unable to understand the transactions. I called Paypal Credit to get an explanation of the statement. I talked to an agent and a supervisor. Those conversations led me to cancel my Paypal Credit. In my mind there is something wrong with their bookkeeping when I can't understand it. I am retired; however, I have done, and continue to do tax preparation. A total of more than 35yrs with clients having incomes to $150,000.00. If I can work with the IRS and their accounting systems, why is Paypal Credit so impossible to understand.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I just received a letter today informing me that due to a change in the credit issuer and "market conditions" (huh?), the Paypal credit interest rate for purchases is now 25.49%. My credit rating is excellent and merely 2 points below the very top. Any banker who charges this kind of interest rate for regular purchases should be tarred and feathered and escorted out of town on a donkey. That politicians would allow this type of highway robbery should tell us how deeply corrupt our government truly is, a government that no longer represents us but represents corporations and Wall Street almost exclusively (as everyone should know by now).

Original review: May 5, 2018

Something seriously wrong with PayPal Credit. I was having a problem with my PayPal account switching to PayPal Credit when making a purchase. This would happen even though I had changed the settings. I made a small $7.99 purchase in February and after the fact noticed that the charge had been applied to PayPal Credit rather than my checking account. I called PayPal and spoke to a rep who advised me to just pay off the $7.99. I did that and it appears on my account as being paid. Suddenly this month I received notice that I had an overdue payment of $14.99. Did not make any sense because there was no record of a purchase for $14.99. Called customer service at PayPal and after some back and forth was told I was charged a late fee and interest on the $7.99. I said I wanted to protest the charge.

This call was relayed to a supervisor who told the agent to tell me that the problem occurred because I paid the account too EARLY. The supervisor would not speak to me only relay info through the agent. The supervisor said my payment "should" have been made on the 20th of the month and I paid it earlier so I would be charged interest for paying it too early. They refused to remove the extra fees even though they could plainly see that the original charge had been paid. Instead, they refunded my original $7.99 payment the day of the call leaving me to pay a charge of $14.99. I paid it today rather than have it hanging over me but I do not know what to do as a recourse. Perhaps I am dense and can't grasp the logic of this. Or perhaps this is how PayPal chooses to take advantage of unsuspecting customers by charging interest and late fees on an amount that was paid too early. This seems fraudulent.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been a good customer of PayPal Bill Me Later for several years now. Always made my payments on time, never late, no problems at all. My credit is very good. Yesterday (5/02/18) I receive a letter in the mail from PayPal Credit dated 4/12/2018 stating that effective 7/02/18, the lender and owner of my PayPal Credit account (including any existing balances) is changing from Comenity Capital Bank to Synchrony Bank, and that my APR for purchases will be increasing to 25.49% So let me get this straight: longtime record of on-time payments, good customer, good credit rating, and they reward this with a ridiculous APR increase? Nope. Goodbye-taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Same as other consumers. l paid the credit l had requested on time and in full and have just received a letter indicating that in the future the interest rate for PayPal credit will be 25.49%. Will l use this service? Certainly not. Deplorable.

Original review: April 26, 2018

If I could give this company NEGATIVE stars I would. This company has repeatedly lost my payments while charging me late fees as well as interest. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, she was rude and not helpful at all. When I asked for corporate information I was given a fax number. I just paid off my account in full and will NEVER use this company again. I also plan on researching to find out who I can speak to or write a letter to at corporate. Because although their employees don’t care, I’m sure someone higher up the chain does. Especially when they start losing money and customers.

Original review: April 17, 2018

So I haven't been able to buy chips or logic analyzers or just about anything else with PayPal Credit, even though I have a healthy credit limit and never get anywhere near it. Just give up & use another CC every time. Because PayPal Credit is an unmitigated POS. Finally escalated this ongoing issue today to first Customer Service, then Tech support. The problem seems to be their merchant classification system, and how few merchants they actually offer PayPal Credit to as an option to.

"PayPal has not authorized this classification of merchant for payment using PayPal Credit." is the answer I'm getting from the customer service rep. But she can't give me the list of classifications that ARE authorized to receive payment using PayPal Credit, nor is she able to say what the merchant's "classification" is currently set to that is blocking this transaction.

When I pressed her to give me a few hints as to what kinds of merchants ARE and ARE NOT in the creditable categories, she gave "Firearms" as an example of merchants/items they do not offer credit for. These are LOGIC ANALYZERS and ARDUINO CHIPS, lady, not GUNS! Know the difference! Besides the mysterious undisclosed "merchant classification" PayPal Credit uses, is the fact that many merchants simply DO NOT ACCEPT PayPal Credit for payment. Oh, they don't TRUST you, PayPal? Gee, I WONDER WHY! This I discovered on further investigation with the vendors. But you don't get told that until AFTER PayPal Credit has been offered, then declined. NICE. Thanks, PayPal.

What prompted me to look into this annoying ongoing issue of being offered PayPal Credit with "buy now, get 6 months to pay" as a payment option on purchases, only to see it mysteriously declined, was a small charge that HAD gone through -- which I had not authorized. Specifically, I'd bought some concert tickets with TicketMaster (aka TicketBastard) where they'd tacked on a $15.98 insurance fee, noted ONLY in the fine print of the issued ticket, with the option to "opt out" on response to an email that winds up inevitably in your spam (SCAM) inbox. Nice, huh? Sure, they probably had some default-checked box somewhere way off-screen on the initial order so they could claim that you'd ordered this.

But does PayPal Credit have "scam insurance charges tacked on to ticket purchases" as one of the "merchant classifications" they exclude? Of course not. I wonder how much of a kickback Allianz Global Assistance and Ticketmaster paid PayPal Credit to have THOSE charges go through without question. NOTE the use of FINE PRINT in the ticket receipt.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Refused for no reason, when I phoned them they just said, "We don't know why." My question is, "What the hell you do there when you don't know the answer." Just don't put the phone number for customer services. This company going down soon as the customer services is so poor. I never had any bad credit and first time I was refused for no reason. FFS Paypal, it's a joke.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Do not EVER use PayPal Credit. You've been warned!!! This is the worst company available online. If you have an issue with them, or one of their creditors, they ONLY care about getting their money back. Even if you supply 100% legitimate information like I supplied, they will find in the favor of the creditor. They do NOT care about you at ALL. It's like being a cow in a slaughterhouse. Eventually they'll force you to be quiet and take everything from you, because they do not care about you. ONLY thing they care about getting their money back. They use agents from outside the USA that are scripted to follow a singular protocol. Worst business to deal with in my online history.

Original review: March 9, 2018

In my daily business I occasionally use PayPal for the convenience of one click. In January I mistakenly pushed on PayPal Credit. I didn't know there was a PayPal Credit and I had no reason to charge my $44 dollar purchase to their service. I was unaware that by pushing this button I opened an account with my PayPal credentials. So I'm clueless that there is this charge because I'm not opening the notices they send to a email account I don't use. I finally figure out that what I thought was unsolicited sales calls was this credit department trying to collect. Charge was made January 9 for $44.99 to date interest and late fees from an account I didn't know I had 73.99. I tried to resolve this matter and the best they could do is to credit back one late fee. I have been scammed.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a few items with PayPal credit. It appeared as a good way to get several items at one time. I went in my account to pay off the total balance of the purchases on my account in order to avoid paying interest fees. After totaling up the amount owed I found almost 300 dollars in my statement that was not attached to any charges. I called customer service to resolve the incorrect balance. They stated I was paying interest on purchases previously paid in full. How can a company charge interest on closed transactions. Nowhere in the terms or agreement did I sign to be charged recurring interest on paid balances.

Original review: March 5, 2018 I must uphold PayPal for it was PayPal the one who granted me a credit line and that credit line would help the way for me to build a credit file. It was PayPal the one who trusted in me when the others failed me and they would reject me under their ridiculous excuses that there was not enough credit history in my file.

Credit means that creditors have granted financial resources to an individual that does not belong to him/her. However, the individual would pay back those financial resources in a timely manner but how can an individual build his/her credit file if that individual is never given an opportunity. I did have a reputable title and the means to be sustainable to pay back a granted credit. However, Some of those who rejected me, were well-known companies who announce themselves as benevolent but their decisions show that they are incompetent or bias and I should hold them accountable for their mistakes.

However, I will not do it since I am not cut off by the same bread as those companies. On the other hand I am to recommend PayPal credit and the reason is not just because PayPal credit was the only one who entrusted me with credit but also because PayPal credit is convenient and an individual is even able to pre-order and set up pick up and instructions with the places that PayPal is contracted with and another great feature is that PayPal credit allows individuals to send money through PayPal credit.

Also, customer services representatives are available and they are helpful and I know that out there a lot of people have negative opinions about the PayPal credit but those opinions formed from the fact that some people either do not trust PayPal or do not understand how PayPal works and that is one of my reasons for submitting my review about PayPal credit line - To debunk those fictional opinions that people have formed and which are based on myths without substance and also another reason for submitting this review is to honor PayPal who acted in the right way and also in an impartial way when it made the decision to grant me its credit line.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

You find out about the "late fee" and how much it is AFTER it's applied. No warning to new users, but now I know, they will never get me again. If you make single purchases, pay off the balance, it's fine. The account summary calculates a monthly payment. The confusion sets in when you make 2-3 purchases. If you follow the monthly payment request, it leaves you short, and subject to their interest rates they tack on each month on the account balance. Solution: do your own math, break down the cost of EACH item to be paid in 6 months, make the payment a FEW days before the deadline, because they do not take into consideration processing time, weekends, holidays --basically it has to actually post to your account to avoid late fees (25+ dollars) and interest fees, EACH time.

They got me only once because I had made extra payments, and had not paid attention to their monthly due date. I was ahead of my payments, but it does not matter. Interest + late fee will be charged and added to your bill. So that's like 25+19.99% interest on your balance added with EVERY late fee. Be careful with these predatory lenders.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This company/service rips people off! PayPal Credit accepted my money orders to make payments on my account but they charged me late fees for not getting my payment in on time. My payments arrived at PayPal's post office box just in the nick of time. Each payment was sent either certified mail (which required a signature from the post office) or went FedEx. Unfortunately, PayPal wasn't required to pick it up in time to post it before the due day. It should be posted according to the postmark, not an individual worker's opinion.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

PayPal allowed a transaction that was not authorized by me to post to my account and denied my case. They have also denied two appeals since. The item was purchased online and shipped to an address other than the one verified on my account. They refuse to do a proper investigation and remove this charge from my account.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Generally, I have had no issues with PayPal credit. I've used them for years to pay off large purchases over 6 months with no interest (and before when it was Bill Me Later). Anyone who uses credit needs to read the terms of the credit line and how payment amounts are determined and applied to balances and if you don't like that policy, then don't use it. Items returned have always been credited properly within 30 days. The only issue I have had was how "the minimum amount due to avoid interest charges" was calculated. In general, you should only have to pay any standard purchases plus any promotional balances due to avoid interest each month.

However, they apply payments to promotions due the following month with each payment before they apply any payments to the standard balance. Therefore, the standard balance can continue to grow until you have 2 months with no promotional balances due thus making your minimum due to avoid interest higher than it should be. The application of payment amounts actually describes it this way on their website. Overall, it all works out in the end and I never pay any interest, just sometimes I have to pay more than expected which goes against their "no payments for 6 months" statement. Key to using Paypal credit... ALWAYS PAY "THE MINIMUM AMOUNT TO AVOID INTEREST" AMOUNT EACH AND EVERY MONTH... You may need to actually look at the full statement (paper or .pdf version) to find this amount.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

The complaint started with LovelyWholesale. I ordered some merchandise from them and they did not send it to me. I tried to make them put the funds back on my PayPal account and they refused to do so. I called up PayPal and explained to them what happened. Instead, of them listening to me they took sides against me for LovelyWholesale telling them lies that they sent me those item to me and they did not. Because I kept e-mailing them about the items and I told them not to send those items to the wrong address. They did it anyway and started playing games with me. Such as asking me was the wrong address, was the right address and I had already told them not to send the item to wrong address. They were playing games with me.

I put both payments in the same envelope. Instead, of PayPal credit refunding my money to me the $21.34 and did not add the $80 to my account that I was paying them. They added the $21.34 to my account and did not add the $80. They kept my money and they could see that there were 2 different account numbers on them. And one of those account numbers did not belong to them. The money order was made out to PayPal master card. But, this is their way of trying to get even with me.

I have the copies of both of those money orders and I can prove it to you that I have them. I am asking for your support to help me resolve this issue. PayPal Credit have been picking at me ever since I filed a complaint with LovelyWholesale and with them and I believe that, they are working together with their scams. People find all kind of ways to get your money. I sent them those 2 payments on January 3rd. I have never experienced a problem with PayPal like this before and I have been a good customer to them.

My belief is that I am working with different people since I moved to this location. These are some very unkind people and the reason why I am saying this is because I can detect the way they talk that, they are working on LovelyWholesale side against me and LovelyWholesale is lying to them about they shipped those items to me and they know they didn't ship them to me. I even told them not to ship those item to the wrong address. They have my new address listed in their system and have shipped an order here at my new address before.

PayPal are not trying to help me get a refund back from them They are just denying me pretending that they opened a case and I don't believe it. They are working on LovelyWholesale side. Every time I kept e-mailing them about my orders. They will respond back to me with a few short words. They will tell me "Have a nice day." I called up USPS and they told me that those items went back to China. Please help me resolve this issue PayPal credit are the ones that involved themselves in this complaint because they should have listened to me instead, of listening them lying.

Now, that PayPal have beef at me for their own wrongdoings. I suggest that, they save it because they might need it for dinner. I don't appreciate it when people are doing me wrong and I'm trying to do them right by being a good customer of theirs and paying my bills to them promptly. I need your help and please respond back to me because I need somebody's help to help me resolve this issue. You have my best regards. Thank you and god bless.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I had a horrible experience with PayPal Credit. This is not really a credit line that they falsely claim to offer. They want you to list both your bank account and your credit card information before you make any PayPal credit purchases. This is a complete farce. I have made several phone calls and sent emails and every department kept pointing fingers to another department. It was a nightmare! They offer a credit limit which is not true. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a HP Laptop on their PayPal Credit. Bad mistake. They insist I received it. The laptop was refused when FedEx delivered. I have actual proof from FedEx that it was returned. I talked to their dispute person and wanted to mail them proof, and time to time return route all the way to Tennessee. I asked for PayPal's mailing address so I could send them proof. They would not give me an address. They said they "look into it". I will not pay for something I never touched.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My issue was a return to the clothing company Liligal. Liligal is a scam in itself: it does not give an address to send returns to. When I first made the claim with PayPal Credit, they gave me a temporary credit, but that was rescinded when Liligal reported that they had not received the item back. PayPal Credit was able to help me with an address and advised me to return the item and have the package tracked. That's what I did. Since then I've been calling PayPal Credit every week for an update. I've spent many hours on the phone with them, always starting from scratch. Finally today they said that they denied the appeal because "a dispute cannot be reopened once it is closed". PayPal Credit has given me the runaround for several months! Will avoid PayPal Credit in the future and NEVER order from Liligal!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

PAYPAL WARNING. I have a credit account that I use the 6 months to pay option pretty frequently. I pay it off and never pay interest so it has worked well so far. On December 18th, I made a purchase using that option. I had over $2000 available so there was no reason for it to be a problem as it was only about $400. On December 19th, Paypal did a security decline with no explanation on the account and took every penny from my bank account. There was no warning at checkout that the items had been declined through Paypal credit so it appeared everything went through as usual. I was none the wiser until today (12/20) when I saw the transactions had hit my account yesterday.

I called Paypal and there is nothing they can do. I escalated to supervisor after supervisor (and had to re-explain time after time until I got the last one who was condescending) nm and the only thing they will do from here is allow me to submit a complaint in writing. Even then, they could not tell me what the issue was or whether or not they would fix it.

The reason I'm writing this is that there was NO WARNING. There was no opportunity for me to decline having the money taken from checking. There was no chance for me to change my mind. It did not give me any alert that it had been declined. It appeared to go through with no issue and then my checking was hit. And because I'd used several vendors, it was multiple transactions so if I'd had a lower balance in my checking account, it would have caused multiple overdrafts. I am fortunate because it was definitely unexpected right before Christmas.

The representative said an email is sent within 24 to 48 hours. Mind you, the money is already gone from my account and all packages have already been shipped so that email will be pretty late if I ever get it. Even though I have paypal and paypal credit in my safe email list, I checked my spam folders, my junk mail, and even my backup email accounts and, as of this writing, I have received no email.

I am warning everyone because $400 in about 7 or 8 transactions is a pretty good hit out of my checking account right before Christmas. If we had been living paycheck to paycheck like we did when we were younger, this could have been far worse for us. I don't want this to happen to someone else so this is strictly for warning.

Resolution response: Dec. 18, 2017

I have now received notice from Paypal Credit that both of the amounts in dispute will be refunded. I appreciate hearing from them. Although, I do feel they need some help with their website and responses to messages sent to them on their site.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I purchased an item and paid thru Paypal Credit. Never got the item and have tried to work with Paypal Credit but they are of NO HELP. I wish I had used another credit card that would work with me. I email, I called, no responses, no help. Will never use Paypal Credit again once I get this problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have been using PayPal Credit for several years. I have never had any problems with being credited for returns or any other issues. They are wonderful in stores or online. They are accurate and helpful. The customer service team is awesome. I have no complaints at all.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I elected to use the PayPal credit for a furniture purchase. I went through all the steps correctly and completely. I figured if I could get 6 months to pay interest free then why not? All of a sudden, PayPal made TWO electronic funds transfers out of my account. Two! For over two grand. When I called the representative told me there was nothing they could do. Huh? I called my bank and stopped the payment. Never ever using this again. I'm going go pay it off then let it go.

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Information