Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
PayPal Credit
3.39/5

PayPal Credit

formerly Bill Me Later

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PayPal Credit Reviews

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

When I opened the account, they did not report to the credit bureau. This was important to me as I was in the process of buying a house. AS required, I paid the account over the phone in October. All was well, so I thought. The PayPal system had a glitch in October and reported that my payment was late. TO my surprise, the payment was reported to the credit bureau. What???? I called. They told me that they changed to another bank who reports to the credit agency. Well, that was fine, but why was it reported late. They apologized, credited me money, but it was still reported late. Of course, I have reported this to PayPal and the credit bureaus. My score dropped 20 points from one transaction, which was NOT my fault. I am being penalized for their system and not letting me know that the change in reporting to the credit bureau. I would have NEVER opened that account knowing they reported to the bureaus. This is a warning to others.s

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

The PayPal Credit app on iPad is a mess. It was working fine at one time but the last few updates ruined everything. Not only can I NOT view my amount due but I can no longer make a payment through it either. This has led to me "being late" on my payment (technically, I wasn't late. I paid $70 through my bank but $90 was due). I called customer service to speak to them about their app and their response was to tell me I was having internet issues. After assuring them my internet connection is working fine, (I just used it to look up the phone number) the woman became very rude and started arguing with me about $20 dollars I owed them! Which I assured her I intended to pay.

I wish I was joking but I'm not. I was trying to resolve issues with the app. Instead, I a conversation with a customer service representative become a shakedown for $20. If this is the quality of business PayPal Credit represents, I will pay off and close my account permanently in the near future. There are much better options out there!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I used PayPal for years and never had a problem. Starting in May of 2019, PayPal Credit got in the picture. I cannot pay off the amount needed for the past 4 months. I have the monies. Trying to pay it. Amount returned every time. Tried to contact the help desk. Nearly impossible to get through to a human. Referred to an incorrect number twice. Tried the online chat. So much time lapsed between feedback from the support person, session was cancelled twice.

Their phone line took my name and number indicating they would contact me back between 16-23 minutes. Never received a call. Call now going into its 45 minute (while I am at work) so I can finally get this resolved. They ended up pointing finger back to PayPal as being the reason for rejecting. PayPal told me everything dealing with PayPal Credit goes through Synchrony. Charges are piling up. Credit score being affected. Told by PayPal Credit/Synchrony I could easily pay anyone to get the balance to zero, including her. So when I offered to pay on the spot she informed me she would need to transfer me to collections department.

Very little, if any of this is due to the few people I was able to finally get connected to. It is due to ineffective systems and training to allow two separate entities to work in a seamless environment. Too much use of call systems and I'm guessing slashing of the customer service department to minimum staff. Someone is making large profits at the direct cost to the customer. I have cancelled all dealings with PayPal and Synchrony.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

1. I initiated a one time payment for PayPal Credit. I choose other option to enter an amount, but it chose pay the whole balance and I had no option to cancel or edited the payment using my cell phone. 2. I contacted PayPal to stop the payment because I know I don't have the whole amount in my bank. The agent told me that he couldn't. and asked me to wait for the payment to fail. 2. On Oct 15, it attempted to collect the funds from my bank account, so I got hit with NFS fee. But PayPal credit shows that I have paid in full.

3. On Oct 21, PayPal attempted to collect the fund again. so I got hit with a second NFS. So I chat with PayPal Credit agent and the agent said there was nothing they could do. Then I call PayPal, and the agent told me that when I initiated the one time payment, PayPal funded it and paid PayPal Credit. So it was PayPal itself attempted to collect the fund again. Now because of the NFS, I now owe PayPal money (The agent reminded me 5 times about this. Very kind of him).

So the 6 months no interest thing sounds really good but if it's hard to get dispute and help because of the connection between PayPal and PayPal Credit are not set up like your normal Bank account and bank issued credit card. Because PayPal has access to your bank account, they can pull funds anytime without you knowing because you have authorized PayPal to pull funds from your account. Use your bank credit card instead of PayPal. Even thought bank credit card still has a lot of fees, it doesn't have as many hidden terms as connecting your bank account with PayPal. You can dispute payment easier. PayPal ask you to prove that the seller is wrong before you can get the fund back. Bank credit card trusts you first. I have used PayPal for years. As a loyal customer, I am very disappointed and will stop using PayPal and PayPal Credit from now on.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

PayPal credit is a JOKE. I applied for credit when buying my son's class ring. The credit was approved so I used it to purchase the ring. THEN I try to use the credit to make online purchase for Christmas with the special financing and it wont work. After MULTIPLE CALLS I didn't get anywhere. They say it's a security concern so paypal isn't allowing ANYTHING I try to purchase to go through. I ask her what she can do to fix it and she claims nothing and tells me she doesn't know when my account will no longer be flagged for security reasons. Hmm here's a clue. Don't approve someone a credit limit and then not allow them to use it. When the ring is paid off I'm done with paypal and will no longer deal with them. I have never dealt with another credit company that ABSOLUTELY DOESN'T HAVE IT TOGETHER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I've had a PayPal account for so many years but finally closed it. I opened a PayPal credit account last holiday, as they had a promotion that if I charged over $200 in one day I could have 6 months to pay with no finance charges. What a mistake! I made payments as expected but when it came to month 2 I sent PayPal a note and asked them (via an online link to send a message to Customer Service) to please apply my payment to charges on the special promotion. Two days later I received a response which was obviously from a computer. The response did not even mention when my message requested and the entire message made no sense.

So the next month I also sent a similar message but again, a completely incoherent response and again, the payment was not credited to these special offer charges. When I got to the 5th month with very little of my payments (which were always more than double the minimum payment) reflected on the promotional charges, I got very upset as I was concerned about being charged big finance charges (they would charge the entire 6 months total charged if there was any balance left). I had to search the Internet to find a phone number as none is given on their site! They finally applied some payments but of course, it came down to the last month before extra charges.

When I heard another family member complaining about the same thing, I filed a complaint with NY Banking, which is ongoing. When it was just PayPal handling small eBay sales, it worked but I do not believe PayPal should have ever gotten or be allowed to be in the credit business as they just don't have what it takes and their computerized responses are just totally insane. I finally closed my PayPal account as the stress, no matter how good their offer was, was just not worth it. Last thing I need is more stress to be added onto my day. I suggest everyone stay far away from PayPal.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

This company ripped me off! They stole $200 dollars from me. I tried for weeks to get the issue resolved and they are not willing to help. They have rude employees Gizelle who don't care and are cold to customers. If they have to rip off customers to pay their staff's salaries...God bless them!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Opened an account in July or August. Account was then closed due to what they said as it being a fraudulent account that I reported. That was false. I waited a month and a half to get that fixed only to find out I can't use the account now. I was never given a reason. I was told that's policy. They closed the account based on false info. They messed up but I pay for their mistake. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM. THEY ARE WORTHLESS.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I applied for PayPal Credit and it all went through fine and it even worked on the first purchase. But from then on I could never use PayPal Credit for any purchase, whether it was on eBay or another site. I tried different items on each site and all it did was say "Your application can't be processed. We're sorry but you won't be able to use PayPal Credit for this purchase. Please choose another funding source". The customer service is a waste of time, they give you no reason why it doesn't work, and don't even seem bothered about the whole situation. My advice is that you NEVER apply for paypal credit, it is a complete waste of time and only works for one purchase.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I made an online purchase from Miss **. Turned out to be a fake website and total scam. I did not receive any of the merchandise I ordered but they did send me a couple of paper dresses, seriously, paper. I was so upset because I paid $152. They sent me a credit of $20.36. I still paid them them $134.13. I went to paypal about my order and they said the company would reimburse me if I returned the merchandise to an address in "China". To be exact: Elluta Design

Pan Huiling 1st Floor, Building 3, Jinyuan Square, No. 2 Taohong West Street, Junhe Street, Baiyun District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, 510000 TEL:+8613543483702 510000 CN. The package was shipped to me from: Dept #42, 13725 Pipeline AVE, Chino CA 91710.

Paypal said I have to pay shipping. It will cost me almost $400 to send the junk I received to the address in China. The fake company knows this and Paypal will not protect me/my money from these scammers. I Strongly encourage all consumers to not use Paypal's credit account for any purchases. Use your own credit card so you will be protected from scammers such as this. Thank you!

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
www.billmelater.com