PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called and asked to set up a payment arrangement to get caught up over the next couple months as I unfortunately fell two months behind. In the past any credit company has always been able to assist. Their responses was "You aren't eligible." I asked, "Well how do I become eligible?" and they said they don't know but their computer will tell them and it could be 72 hours to 3 months but they have no idea... meaning there is zero company policy nor help. The guy advised to keep calling every 3 days. Who has 25 minutes to wait on hold every 3 days to check and see if their computer has told them I am eligible?

I opened a PayPal credit line and was given a $500 limit. Each month I would access PayPal directly and check out my statement to make the payment directly via my checking account which I had attached to my PayPal account. Upon opening the credit line, I had to give my physical address which I do not receive mail at, but I receive mail at a PO box instead. I had always received correspondence via email and during the time that is in question, 2.5 months to be exact, I received 98 emails from PayPal.

I paid my account each month before the due date for my minimum payment but usually paid over the minimum requirement. In February 23, 2017 I paid my account in full. March 2nd 2017, I attempted to make an online purchase utilizing my PayPal credit line in which I was denied stating my account had been closed due to a returned account statement. Upon calling and speaking with customer care I was notified that they had been sending statements to my physical address because their computerized system had opted to change my automated billing statements to mailing statements because I had not opened their statements via email according to their computer records.

I asked the manager whom I asked to speak with if I'd ever missed a payment which he replied no. I asked him to clarify that he was telling me he was informing me that even though I was an active customer who had made timely payments, and paid my account in full, but because of not accessing a statement sent by a computerized system they had closed my account without notifying me. He responded this was accurate and there was nothing he could do. Basically being proactive and seeking out my account statements on my own has caused PayPal to punish their customers because they have no level of personal connection.

PayPal Credit is the worst credit line you can ever get mixed up with. Jan 2017, I make my payment as usual. Well as February approaches I realize I have enough money to go ahead and pay my PayPal bill 2 days early. So I go ahead and pay the $304 to get that bill out the way. So here we are in March. Bill is due I log in to see what the minimum payment is, it shows $608 is due. So I call to find out how this is because their website sucks. You can't get details. I'm told that they never got a payment in February. So wait... They really thought I wanted to just give them an extra $304 two days from when my bill is due.

The customer service rep tells me "since you paid before the interest cycle was up that money went to the principal." Nobody ever gave me an option of if I want this on the principal or to go towards my normal payment. So you mean to tell me I have to wait the entire interest cycle so PayPal Credit can rip me off charging 20% for 30 days. It's bad enough they already got me like that but to take the $304 I gave them two days earlier put it on the principal with no notification just confirmation that the bill was paid. Now March comes and you're telling me I didn't pay you in Feb so now I owe you $608... What the... How is this even allowed? The best part is the customer service rep tells me well "it's good you paid early cause it made your principal go down." I told her that only dropped my bill $3.

I've been receiving someone else's PayPal Credit billing information in my emails for about a year now. Every time I call PayPal Credit they ask me for my personal information but my information doesn't match this other person's information so they will not remove my email from her account. Please help!

I have a PayPal credit account. It started when I got a 300.00 credit limit. It said you can purchase goods, services, or send money to family or friends. Please be aware the webpage setup is designed where one may easily lose double what they may use from the available credit. We know, as sellers they already have your bank info, and automatically, funds come from this when due. I wanted to send money to my family member and went to credit section and clicked for the transaction and it acknowledged the action. “This is the first red flag,” the section above credit is to use your bank account funds to process the same type transaction. If a person knows they do not have available funds in their bank why risk an overdraft? The site will automatically take you to a page to reconfirm your initial transaction but not acknowledge whether or not it was your first choice. If you were sure you said from credit it should process but the "final red flag."

Maybe it said you chose an irreversible transaction, which is withdrawn from your bank. The next day I saw PayPal took money from my checking account. I called bank and reported this was an error and bank stopped transaction. PayPal said, "Have person send you the money back," and I did and deposited it to my checking account as a result of the error and my bank refunded me overdraft fees. At this point the credit I had available has never been used and PayPal tells me, "You owe us the money for your checking account." They refuse to withdraw the amount.

I initially requested from the credit account, this I am told cannot be reversed. They are trying to get double when in reality I only got the initial amount $125.00 plus the fee and will have to go to small claims court on this one. I sent all documentation requested. Their webpages have problems too, seems preprogrammed and will fail to load sensitive information you need and send you back to login numerous times. Forget passcode to speak with specialist, you may be on phone over an hour or sent person to person with little headway. I was not behind in my monthly credit payments. Anyone out there have a similar problem?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

If you plan on filing for bankruptcy I would apply for PayPal Credit, send the money to a friend through PayPal using the credit line, have your buddy pull the money out of his account for you, then file for bankruptcy and stick it to them like they do to us. It works, I can promise you this! The interest rate is absurd after six months. They default your account to pay with 'PayPal Credit' then juggle your online pages around to confuse you so you can't turn it off. When you call customer service they are not helpful, in fact, the Supervisor was rude to me when I told him I wasn't getting a direct answer from his staff. The protection they offer is a joke and they don't care what happens to you. They will not work with you if you get laid off or have a hardship like a normal credit card company. It really is pointless to use if you have a normal credit card.

This is with regards to PayPal Credit. I purchased a service from a merchant for training which had a money back guaranteed. I returned the training and requested a credit from merchant by certified letter in the amount of $495 which was charged to my PayPal Credit account. I disputed the charge of $495 with PayPal Credit in December 2016 and they gave me a dispute number. PayPal Credit stated that they would temporarily credit my account in the amount of $495 while they investigated the charge with the merchant. They never temporarily credited my account and kept billing me and they never investigated the charge with the merchant. I followed up with multiple emails and they stated by January 2017 the merchant had an opportunity to respond.

Well fast forward to February 10, 2017 and PayPal credit still had no answer or reversed the charge of $495. I tried calling PayPal and they passed me around like a hot potato to multiple department until allegedly they passed me on to the disputes department which NO ONE ANSWERS at all. I was on hold for 1 hour on at least 3 different occasions and none on the PayPal phone is able to help me when I ask questions regarding my dispute to them. I sent PayPal multiple emails and they send me either auto generated emails which do not resolve my issue or tell me that they are still investigating even though they said by January 2017 the merchant could respond and this is already overdue since we are in February 2017. In the meantime PayPal keeps billing me $495.

I tried to add notes to my dispute directly on PayPal website and it keeps saying that their websites has technical issues. Make a long story short it's impossible to deal with PayPal credit disputes get an answer someone to respond or get the credit that belongs to me. I filed a complaint with BBB. How is it possible that PayPal is so duplicitous and sneaky with their customers? It's disgusting and appalling. Reminds me of Wells Fargo scandal.

If you are trying to get a loan quickly DO NOT go through these guys. They make it sound like they can approve you quickly to lend you money so you can pay it off without interest in 6 months. What they fail to mention is that you need to build your credit with them before you can actually get PayPal credit... I bet it is a good deal after you build your credit but they should not advertise it as if you would be able to get the money right away. I wasted my time and had my credit hurt by these guys for no reason.

I have purchased many items through Bill Me Later, now PayPal Credit. I bought a mac last night only to find an email that it will not be sent until I updated my information. I already updated email, phone number, and even changed my username and password. The username and password had been reverted back to the old. I was connected after calling customer service to Samantha. She asked me what is PayPal credit?! I couldn't believe she didn't know. I explained my situation and she said it was because I was denied credit. My email does not show that I was denied credit and there are no inquiries on my bureau. I could tell she was frustrated and she kept reverting back to I had applied for more credit. False. She was extremely rude and then talked over me.

I was connected to her manager whom was nice at first and apologized for her employee's behavior. Toward the end of the call she too was frustrated, not knowing what I needed to update. I asked that she get back to me to let me know she had discussed this with her employee and also looked into the matter. At this time Ashley the manager said she would not be willing to give me any information regarding the matter of what needs to be done because I don't work there??? She also cited counseling employees is not any of my business. I am a customer of 6 years. Never ever had this type of issue. Poorest customer service ever. I asked for her to escalate the situation and help me as a customer. She was unwilling.

I was sent a bill saying that I owed an account for $75.00. I called them and told them that I don't owe a bill from Bill Me Later, and they could not tell me who I charged something to my credit card. They said something about back in May, I went to that account and found that I don't anything. They told me to dispute it and I did and they said that I did the charge, and I keep asking who did I charged to, they said something to Bill Me Later, and said something about nutrition and I called the only nutrition account that I had and the lady said that they don't send bills to anyway, they charge the amount to the Bill Me Later or PayPal account and I find nothing. It was a Bill Me Later debit card, and Bill Me Later is connected to my bank account, which would be debited the amount right away.

So now the $75.00 has gone up to 19 per cent at 19 per cent. I think it is a scam and I am not paying this as they won't give me any information on who what when or where so I am not going to even answer it. I disputed it and they said they sent it to the company and the company told them I made the bill, so I told them that I want to see an invoice.

I bought an item online and paid with a credit card which was linked to Paypal. 2 weeks later I noticed there was no transaction posted in my credit card. WEIRD, thought the vendor forgot to charge me. I was doing stuff online and thought I would check on my Paypal account. Caught me by surprise, the transaction was posted on their credit card. WTF!!! I am really pissed right now. Lucky for them, it is not during their business hours, so I can't call them. Never signed up for their credit line, nor accepted their offer, they just put it in their card without letting me know. I am going to refrain from using Paypal from now on, hopefully never to use it again. Good job, Paypal.

I just got laid off my job and can't make my payment on time. I called to see if I could make the payment a few days late with no late fee, or have the late fee reversed, or maybe change the due date. No go. Talked to a supervisor and still no go. I told him I was surprised there was nothing they could do to help me. No response. Terrible customer service. Supervisor had a haughty snotty attitude.

In 2012 I had to stop working and one income barely paid the mortgage. Credit cards fell behind. We agreed to a buyout of the debt in 2012. In March of 2015 they started showing up on my credit report for the balance of what I owed but bought my way out. This is crap. I have gotten Equifax to take it off for the last two years. However, I have to file a complaint every month to get it removed. This company sucks.

I've used PayPal for petty online purchases for over 10 yrs. and I've had link to my credit card & yesterday out of nowhere I got a bill from them! I immediately call the number on the letter and to my surprise they informed me I had open a credit line with them. I told them I had never did such thing and closed immediately before I got my family attorney involved, as of right now they informed me that it has been closed! I am extremely annoyed with them for this matter and I'm thinking about closing all tides with PayPal because of this matter!

We have used PayPal occasionally over the years but not too often. One time in the last 6 months we made a payment through what we thought was our PayPal account but later learned we somehow had been HIJACKED by PayPal Credit. This is a separate company from PayPal but affiliated. We never signed up for PayPal Credit, never requested credit and never filled out any forms for PayPal Credit. We never were notified of any credit being extended to us by PayPal Credit and had no knowledge of a charge being made through them in our behalf until we received a "pay up or die" demand for payment from them. Very deceptive on their part. I am furious they took over my basic PayPal act and turn it into a credit act that I NEVER WANTED.

This company is #1 ripoff. They juggle your account around as they see fit, their explanations mean nothing to anyone who doesn't work for PayPal Credit. Accounts are of different pages. It's crazy. I hope someone opens a class action lawsuit on them, when these people are paid off I'm done with them, jumping! One more thing. Some of their customer service people are smart ** and rude.

I had no idea I had signed up for paypal credit, I bought something on Facebook and signed up for paypal but it was a credit paypal and I didn't know that... So I bought something, thinking it was going on my credit card, and it charged to that paypal credit. Today I got a statement saying they are trying to collect a debt for a past due amount, AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE EVER GOT A BILL!!! What I bought cost $31.95 and on top of that they charged me $33.95 in interest! All this without me knowing about it!

Bill me later or so called paypal credit has ridiculous interest rate. It looks sweet when you look at 6 months no interest advertisement but after 6 months, it gets really crazy. I had paypal credit balance $5000, my interest rate was $100+ a month. When my balance was $4000, my interest was $70+. Now my balance is $2800, interest is $55 a month. Really? I had $7000 balance on my other credit card and my interest was mere $55 a month. This is like highest interest I have ever seen anywhere. Use real credit card instead. Paypal credit interest rate is just crazy after first 6 months.

Other than Paypal defaulting my preferred method of payment to 'PayPal Credit'––which ended up adding to my balance very quickly––without my knowledge––for awhile and I am in the midst of trying to fix that part of this horrid misadventure. But the issue this complaint is really about, is regarding a scam that hit my account early this fall. Ipage, a website hosting service, posted a fee of about $168 to my account. This fee was supposedly for 'the next year of service'. Which, I did not agree to.

The previous year, I had bought their services at bout $3/month so my brother and I could practice our jquery and Node.js scripting on hosted websites. Nowhere in the documentation did it say anything about an annual fee of $168. A year comes and goes, and this gets posted to my account. I email both ipage and Paypal about it. Ipage has yet to respond to me. Paypal responded by saying that it isn't their problem. It should be noted that it cleared to my bank account. I was part of the 'customer protection' that apparently is a lie––being that this predatory business, ipage, was allowed to get away with scamming my account.

I did not agree to the 'annual fee' at any time. Paypal said even though that I was being 'protected' it didn't matter. This was between myself and ipage. Ipage has not returned any of my emails. In the end, Paypal's 'customer protection' did not protect me and was completely compliant to a scam. In the end, the customer was not protected and was in fact robbed of $168 plus $50 for the transaction 'fee'. Paypal is black marked in my book.

I got a phone call from a collections agency saying I was delinquent. I found out it was PayPal Credit. I owed over $1154, of which over $154 was interest and penalty according to them. I did buy a product for $1000 back in March, more than 8 months ago but I did not know it was deferred for payment for 6 months. I thought it was paid immediately. I was tricked into PayPal Credit when I thought it was the regular PayPal. I paid the principal and appealed the interest charges to no avail. I was given a reduction of $25 for late fees, however, I'm still irked to owe anything for interest. My advice is to never use PayPal for anything ever. As per Mack of Homestead, FL, "If you use PayPal you are a fool. It is not convenient. You're better off just using your bank with a real merchant account."

I have had PayPal Credit for maybe four to six months, and other than a couple technical glitches, I've never had any issues. The customer service both times I've had to phone has been very polite and helpful. The interest rates are reasonable, and my starting limit was really generous. I mostly use it with eBay, but I've used it a few other places also. I like being able to set up recurring payments to route through credit, so I have those special protections! Overall I would recommend PayPal Credit to people, but I would say that it helps to be a good troubleshooter, because PayPal and PayPal Credit both seem to be a little better suited for people who are able to spot potential issues and head them off before they happen.

I was approved for paypal credit. I linked my bank account so I could make payments to paypal credit easier. I made a purchase with paypal credit and paypal credit charged my bank account instead and made my life terrible because my bank account was -1000. When I called customer service the gentleman kept putting me on hold because he couldn't give me a straight answer and kept having to come up with something. His best answer was, the purchase did not qualify for PayPal Credit!!

Are you serious??? What kind of bullcrap story is that! I clicked on the options to pay using PayPal credit. I even got an email stating, "Thank you for using PayPal credit!" The account was closed immediately. I would never recommend paypal to anyone!! I mean anyone!! The most terrible experience I ever came in contact with. They made it out to be my concern. It was fraud and PayPal credit unauthorized took money out of my personal bank account. When I went to my bank, the bank told me they have heard of this issue several times before!! DON'T SIGN UP FOR PAYPAL CREDIT!!

I did not want to provide my checking account, so I opted to send payment through the mail. The first payment I sent I noticed PayPal sat on the check for 10 days before processing it. When I called customer service they said as long as my payment was postmarked by the due date all was well. WRONG...THEY LIED. They began charging late fees the next month after deliberately sitting on my check payment and not processing IT...despite me paying 5x the minimum payment, 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE. These late fees are gone, never to return. PAYPAL CREDIT *WILL* EVENTUALLY TAKE MONEY FROM YOU. Stay very far away from this service.

PayPal Funds was the primary funding source, PayPal Credit was the backup funding source for both transactions. My bank account was NEVER authorized as a funding source. When PayPal Credit rejected the transactions PayPal re-routed them through my bank account, which I did not authorize. PayPal credit should have declined the transaction and I should have received notice of failed funding. I am very upset that what I thought was going through as credit ended up coming out of my bank account without ANY notice.

I've been on the phone with PayPal 3 days in a row. Every time I get put on hold. First time for 45 min, second time 40 min, 3rd time 20 min and no one answers. Last time they offered to call me back in 7 min. 3 hours later no one has called. These people are a joke. It's incredible how they collect your money within a few seconds but take forever to resolve a return and refund your money. Legal action should be taken with the company. Why is our government not regulating this company. Never again will I use PayPal.

I was given $1201.00 in PayPal credit. I have tried using the PayPal credit on numerous websites including eBay. I have tried the stores listed on PayPal website. I have tried to pay invoices received through my PayPal account. I have tried to send money. I have not been able to use PayPal credit once. I have called PayPal Credit several times about this. The last rep said the computer system decides to approve or not approve each transaction. Each rep I talk to tells me something different but always comes back to the computer system is not allowing it and they cannot do anything about it.

Why am I unable to use my PayPal credit to pay for anything? Why did you issue me PayPal credit if I am unable to use it? When you ran my credit to check my credit worthiness it takes 2 points off my credit and then once approved my credit score drops a few more points. I am okay with that and know it will recover for the benefits of using the credit. There are no benefits to me for you bringing down my credit score and adding a credit account to my credit report if I am unable to use the credit.

Overall, to begin with, I was happy with PayPal credit because it helped me thru a rough time. I got a $800 credit limit. I started paying it off. My minimum payments were about $25. I have not used the card in 3-4 months and have paid on time every month, but somehow I have only $25.11 available after paying $25 for 3 months without spending any money? Called but some foreign lady answered and said it's because of interest. Uhm, no. Worst decision I've ever made. Don't do it.

Paypal offers this line of credit (Paypal Credit), but they won't let you use it. I called them today. The rep told me even though they approved me for over 2k, Paypal will decide if you can buy anything with it. What the hell is that? Well I don't much about business, but you'd THINK, they'd want to get the interest from the product. It's very frustrating. I've tried to buy eBay items of different amounts from $140.00 to $550.00. I've tried different days & times also. Anyone have any ideas? And sorry I don't have an order # since I couldn't buy anything. Plus they don't explain why they decline it. This is what I get: "Your application can't be processed. We're sorry but you won't be able to use PayPal Credit for this purchase. Please choose another payment method". Stupid Paypal.

I was granted a line. I tried to use it. Denied. Over 10 attempts over 2 weeks for ANY amount, unable to use it. PayPal gave me the following excuses: "Try in 15 minutes. Try another browser. Try in 24 hours. Try another merchant. Oh, That merchant does accept PayPal CREDIT. You can't use all of your line" (I wasn't trying to any it would deny ANY amount). Don't waste your time with this. I am going to file a formal FDIC and Consumer Protection Agency and CA Attorney General Complaint.

I have never opened a PayPal Credit (Bill Me Later) account. I recently received a letter dated September 19 stating that I had not been charged interest on my account but would be in the future by Comenity Capital Bank. The letter was the means that I became aware that I had a credit account through PayPal that I had never opened. I called the phone number 866-528-3733 and was told I had in fact opened the account in 2014. The letter said I had opened it on March 5, 2013. They didn't even have a straight story about the date they claimed I opened the account. I asked for the account to be closed. I was told it is now closed, and I hope that is true.

We all know that Wells Fargo employees were opening new accounts without the knowledge of the account holders. Apparently PayPal has been doing the same thing. I assume that Comenity Capital Bank sent out the letters about the interest charge as a subtle way of letting PayPal account holders that they had a credit account that they were unaware of and might want to close. Such a move would have been triggered by the Wells Fargo scandal. Probably anyone with a PayPal account should check to see if they also have a PayPal Credit account that they have no knowledge of. If someone opened a sham account for me, many others are probably in the same boat.

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Profile

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)