PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I got a phone call from a collections agency saying I was delinquent. I found out it was PayPal Credit. I owed over $1154, of which over $154 was interest and penalty according to them. I did buy a product for $1000 back in March, more than 8 months ago but I did not know it was deferred for payment for 6 months. I thought it was paid immediately. I was tricked into PayPal Credit when I thought it was the regular PayPal. I paid the principal and appealed the interest charges to no avail. I was given a reduction of $25 for late fees, however, I'm still irked to owe anything for interest. My advice is to never use PayPal for anything ever. As per Mack of Homestead, FL, "If you use PayPal you are a fool. It is not convenient. You're better off just using your bank with a real merchant account."

I have had PayPal Credit for maybe four to six months, and other than a couple technical glitches, I've never had any issues. The customer service both times I've had to phone has been very polite and helpful. The interest rates are reasonable, and my starting limit was really generous. I mostly use it with eBay, but I've used it a few other places also. I like being able to set up recurring payments to route through credit, so I have those special protections! Overall I would recommend PayPal Credit to people, but I would say that it helps to be a good troubleshooter, because PayPal and PayPal Credit both seem to be a little better suited for people who are able to spot potential issues and head them off before they happen.

I was approved for paypal credit. I linked my bank account so I could make payments to paypal credit easier. I made a purchase with paypal credit and paypal credit charged my bank account instead and made my life terrible because my bank account was -1000. When I called customer service the gentleman kept putting me on hold because he couldn't give me a straight answer and kept having to come up with something. His best answer was, the purchase did not qualify for PayPal Credit!!

Are you serious??? What kind of bullcrap story is that! I clicked on the options to pay using PayPal credit. I even got an email stating, "Thank you for using PayPal credit!" The account was closed immediately. I would never recommend paypal to anyone!! I mean anyone!! The most terrible experience I ever came in contact with. They made it out to be my concern. It was fraud and PayPal credit unauthorized took money out of my personal bank account. When I went to my bank, the bank told me they have heard of this issue several times before!! DON'T SIGN UP FOR PAYPAL CREDIT!!

I did not want to provide my checking account, so I opted to send payment through the mail. The first payment I sent I noticed PayPal sat on the check for 10 days before processing it. When I called customer service they said as long as my payment was postmarked by the due date all was well. WRONG...THEY LIED. They began charging late fees the next month after deliberately sitting on my check payment and not processing IT...despite me paying 5x the minimum payment, 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE. These late fees are gone, never to return. PAYPAL CREDIT *WILL* EVENTUALLY TAKE MONEY FROM YOU. Stay very far away from this service.

PayPal Funds was the primary funding source, PayPal Credit was the backup funding source for both transactions. My bank account was NEVER authorized as a funding source. When PayPal Credit rejected the transactions PayPal re-routed them through my bank account, which I did not authorize. PayPal credit should have declined the transaction and I should have received notice of failed funding. I am very upset that what I thought was going through as credit ended up coming out of my bank account without ANY notice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

I've been on the phone with PayPal 3 days in a row. Every time I get put on hold. First time for 45 min, second time 40 min, 3rd time 20 min and no one answers. Last time they offered to call me back in 7 min. 3 hours later no one has called. These people are a joke. It's incredible how they collect your money within a few seconds but take forever to resolve a return and refund your money. Legal action should be taken with the company. Why is our government not regulating this company. Never again will I use PayPal.

I was given $1201.00 in PayPal credit. I have tried using the PayPal credit on numerous websites including eBay. I have tried the stores listed on PayPal website. I have tried to pay invoices received through my PayPal account. I have tried to send money. I have not been able to use PayPal credit once. I have called PayPal Credit several times about this. The last rep said the computer system decides to approve or not approve each transaction. Each rep I talk to tells me something different but always comes back to the computer system is not allowing it and they cannot do anything about it.

Why am I unable to use my PayPal credit to pay for anything? Why did you issue me PayPal credit if I am unable to use it? When you ran my credit to check my credit worthiness it takes 2 points off my credit and then once approved my credit score drops a few more points. I am okay with that and know it will recover for the benefits of using the credit. There are no benefits to me for you bringing down my credit score and adding a credit account to my credit report if I am unable to use the credit.

Overall, to begin with, I was happy with PayPal credit because it helped me thru a rough time. I got a $800 credit limit. I started paying it off. My minimum payments were about $25. I have not used the card in 3-4 months and have paid on time every month, but somehow I have only $25.11 available after paying $25 for 3 months without spending any money? Called but some foreign lady answered and said it's because of interest. Uhm, no. Worst decision I've ever made. Don't do it.

Paypal offers this line of credit (Paypal Credit), but they won't let you use it. I called them today. The rep told me even though they approved me for over 2k, Paypal will decide if you can buy anything with it. What the hell is that? Well I don't much about business, but you'd THINK, they'd want to get the interest from the product. It's very frustrating. I've tried to buy eBay items of different amounts from $140.00 to $550.00. I've tried different days & times also. Anyone have any ideas? And sorry I don't have an order # since I couldn't buy anything. Plus they don't explain why they decline it. This is what I get: "Your application can't be processed. We're sorry but you won't be able to use PayPal Credit for this purchase. Please choose another payment method". Stupid Paypal.

I was granted a line. I tried to use it. Denied. Over 10 attempts over 2 weeks for ANY amount, unable to use it. PayPal gave me the following excuses: "Try in 15 minutes. Try another browser. Try in 24 hours. Try another merchant. Oh, That merchant does accept PayPal CREDIT. You can't use all of your line" (I wasn't trying to any it would deny ANY amount). Don't waste your time with this. I am going to file a formal FDIC and Consumer Protection Agency and CA Attorney General Complaint.

I have never opened a PayPal Credit (Bill Me Later) account. I recently received a letter dated September 19 stating that I had not been charged interest on my account but would be in the future by Comenity Capital Bank. The letter was the means that I became aware that I had a credit account through PayPal that I had never opened. I called the phone number 866-528-3733 and was told I had in fact opened the account in 2014. The letter said I had opened it on March 5, 2013. They didn't even have a straight story about the date they claimed I opened the account. I asked for the account to be closed. I was told it is now closed, and I hope that is true.

We all know that Wells Fargo employees were opening new accounts without the knowledge of the account holders. Apparently PayPal has been doing the same thing. I assume that Comenity Capital Bank sent out the letters about the interest charge as a subtle way of letting PayPal account holders that they had a credit account that they were unaware of and might want to close. Such a move would have been triggered by the Wells Fargo scandal. Probably anyone with a PayPal account should check to see if they also have a PayPal Credit account that they have no knowledge of. If someone opened a sham account for me, many others are probably in the same boat.

Received 1 pg letter from PayPal credit referring to changes in my account. PROBLEM: I have never opened an account with PayPal or PayPal Credit. I accessed their website and tried to open 'my account'. I was prompted for my email address. That failed. I was prompted for my phone number(s). That failed. I was also prompted to sign up for a PayPal account so I could report the problem. The email option also requires an account. Since I can't login to account I didn't open, I gave up. It was after hours. Called next day. Janeen answered. I explained the situation and it quick was apparent that she wasn't empowered to help me. I asked to talk to a supervisor.

Steve - manager came on the line. I repeated the problem and asked to have my name and address removed from the system. He asked me for my email address and phone number in order to validate my account. I told him my phone number, email address were not in their system and could not be linked an account with my name and address. He told me that company policy did not allow him to go further unless I gave him the information that I'd already proven did not work. He also could be fired if he attempted to access the account in my name if I didn't give him my email address and phone number.

Finally after talking in circles for 45 minutes, it was apparent that he was either unwilling or incapable of resolving the problem. As a closing suggestion he suggested that access the credit rating companies to see if there were any recent records referring to PayPal or PayPal credit. If there were then could open a fraud report. I did recommended research. No negative reports of any kind. Yet someone apparently with access to my information has apparently opened an account in my name and PayPal credit is unable or unwilling remove the bogus account.

NOTE: Interest and fees charged by a lender cannot exceed fair credit consumer laws. This company is in CLEAR violation of that, and a "CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT SHOULD BE INITIATED". PayPal credit is an embarrassment to eBay, and every source that uses them. I dropped my account today, BUT to make my point, I will never again do business with any vendor that uses PayPal Credit as an option. These folks are thieves.

After literally stealing $114.00 from me in fees ILLEGALLY (knowing that they are under the radar and for that amount I wouldn’t cause them grief)… I closed my account, and in the process of paying off charges that I just made THIS MONTH – that were not due yet, I was charged some account termination fee for another $35.00 (seems to be their magic number). In 2016, I was charged $2.16 in TOTAL interest – and $114.00 in FEES. Get that... $2.16 in TOTAL interest – and $114.00 in FEES - so far this year! PayPal Credit will see this message on every available rating site. Hint: In the future – don’t mess with someone that has nothing to lose. You can’t win!

If I could rate them a "0" I would. I opened an account with PayPal Credit in 2014. I was very happy that I was given the opportunity to get this account. Throughout the year I have told many family and friends about how happy I was with PayPal Credit and they have also open up accounts with you. I've made my payments on time, even paying two. I have spoken with several reps from their customer services due to never received a bill. I was told I had chosen to go paperless (NOT) when I opened my account therefore making my account late for $9.78. Was shocked due to my checking is set up for PayPal as well so why would I charge $9.78 and not pay it. Once I got that matter cleared I continued to make payment to pay this account off. My account show it due 15th of the month. Which I gotten burn before because I paid them in advance and still received a late fee due to no payment on the 15th.

So I said, "Ok I'll pay it on the 15th or 16th," due to billing cycle doesn't start over until the 18th. This company is unreal. I still received a $35.00 late fee. I spoke with the very unprofessional rep and her supervisor. They try to belittle you like this is the only credit card you have. I've spoken to many reps from this company and been given the incorrect information and therefore I'm being penalized because I wasn't told this when made payment. This matter should have gotten to this point if reps were more knowledgeable of their company procedures. I would not recommend PayPal Credit.

I had a credit of almost $1,000. I closed account and was promised a check for the credit. I called four times and was told three times "the check is in the mail" which meant "it's not my job mon". Now it's a month and I was advised last Thursday that it would in my mailbox. Debbie said that's what her supervisor said. It's Tuesday and not only has no check arrived. I found out it first went out last Friday. One day after Ms. ** told me it had already gone out. How can a company treat its customers like this. I spoke to someone named Sherell who claimed to be a supervisor and surprise the check is in the mail.

I was offered a $2500.00 PayPal Credit Line with little guidelines on what not to do to bring red flags to a PayPal Credit Account. I still can't use my PayPal account with eBay Purchases or with Invoices.

Purchases are confused as PayPal debit card which is separate. It is auto filled from a bank account so balances are automatically paid and the debit card managed balance restored. PayPal Credit is a loan shark operation hiding behind PayPal debit card. If you make a purchase thinking it is being billed to the debit card and will be auto-paid on time, and it ends up as a "loan" on your PayPal Credit account, you never hear about until months later. Thinking the bill was paid on time, you dismiss it from your mind. Instead, PayPal Credit was laid a trap. You have a "loan" accumulating interest and default penalties of exorbitant amounts. Finally, they call or send a bill in the mail, but by then you will "owe" them huge fees. They know their business model is a scam.

After cancelling my account, they invited me to take a survey online. From the questions you could tell they were worried about consumer fraud. I'm wondering if there is a class action group being formed to file suit. Reporting them to the federal agency responsible for consumer credit cards will probably not work to put them out of business.

Too bad I can't rate PayPal Credit zero stars. It has been the most horrifying experience when it comes to making purchases online and dealing with their customer service, not once but 6 separate times. How can you extend $2200 of credit but allow 1 purchase of $47 and some change? For the last 2 days I have tried to purchase an XBOX One and a few games from Walmart.com. At checkout the PayPal page would load then give the option to use my PayPal balance, debit or PayPal Credit. Again... I have $2200 of extended credit. I chose PayPal credit and the payment is turned down. WTF? This happens twice, each time asking me to choose a different form of payment. I try again 4 hrs or so later and this time, it doesn't even give the option to choose credit, it wants me to use my debit card tied to my account.

I call PayPal, go through all the verification processes and troubleshoot the problem. I was told it was a security issue due to the large purchase amount. Ok fine, just verify that the account is mine and answer security questions that only I know right? Wrong! They tried to override the transaction to make the purchase go through... Still denied. They then connected me to the department that handles these issues. Problem fixed right? Wrong! This time they told me to try again after going through all the verification process. It denied the purchase yet again, only this time, locking me out of trying until 24 hrs or so. The PayPal agent that dealt with the situation said the account would reset the next day.

Fine. Day 2=total nightmare from Hell. Exact same thing no matter the merchant. Ended up calling PayPal and PayPal Credit. Both trying to fix the issue; each call reaching blood boiling points due to getting a different total half-cocked BS answer. They would either blame it on the merchant or my account settings along with it being a large amount of over $400. The $2200 available credit is a complete joke and feels like a scam of sorts. What good is giving a man/woman a credit line if you aren't going to allow you to use it? Out of all the credit resources that I've used throughout the years, I can confirm without a doubt, that PayPal and PayPal Credit are the worst service I've ever had the displeasure of using. Due to this fact, I will be paying off the account balance and closing this garbage of a service.

I signed up for PayPal sometime last year. I used it to pay for a couple of things here and there, and returned an item or two at one point. Suddenly when I am checking out I see "You have a $35 credit!" which I think, awesome! I didn't realize I had this but it must have been from my returned items. So I clicked to use the credit. Little did I know that this was signing me up for a CREDIT CARD aka PayPal Credit. I'm a pretty savvy consumer with a legal background, and I could not make heads or tails of it. I didn't know that I even had a line of credit until they sent me a late fee in February! I called, saying I had no idea what PayPal Credit was, I didn't want it, I didn't know I even had it. I was happy to pay the balance but I wanted the late fee waived and the account closed. The lady very nicely agreed to waive the fee, and I paid and I thought the matter was done. This was in February.

Little did I know they did NOT close my account. And when I made a purchase on eBay in July, even though I remember entering in my credit card info, the PayPal Credit account got "magically" selected. So last week I get another bill with another late fee. For an account I never signed up for and had asked to be closed and had not knowingly used. So I call, get the runaround. The lady says she can't waive the late fee because I already used my "one free late fee waiver" per year, which I didn't even know was a thing. I told her the account should have been closed in February. She said someone would have to go back and listen to the recorded call to confirm my story (because sure, I'd make that up) and would call in a couple of days. Of course, I never get a callback.

Fast forward to today, I call back again because now my balance from a $43 purchase in July is $70! All I want to do is pay the $43. But I want the additional $27 waived and my account closed. Account rep 1 - understands my story, admits that even she had been signed up for PayPal credit without her knowledge at one point (before she started working for PayPal, but still... wow.). She understands my story, confirms that my account was closed last week (hooray), but doesn't have the authority to waive the late fee so she escalates my call to a supervisor. This supervisor, Tia, wasn't having it. I explained and explained, she said that "she understood" but she had "made her decision and wouldn't go back on it." What??? She said I must have known what I was signing up for because how else would they have my purchase info? She even raised her voice and said "MA'AM I HAVE TOLD YOU MY DECISION."

So I asked to speak to HER supervisor and she smugly informed me that in order to do so I would have to write in. Wow. Really transparent and helpful, PayPal. So I said "Ok... I don't want to speak to anyone above you, I just want to speak to someone else." It worked! She transferred me to a guy named Matt. Matt (now I've been on the phone close to 45 minutes at this point) listened to my story and then asked "would you be able to pay the original balance today if we waived the late fee?" Um, yeah! He was very nice and walked me through the pay by check over the phone (why they don't let you pay with debit over the phone is beyond me). So finally after two phone calls totaling a little over an hour, I was able to pay the original balance off, and get my account closed. So... win for me?

They may have ended up doing the right thing... sort of... at the very end. But It is extremely deceptive to tell someone they have a "credit" when what you really mean is "line of credit". It's even worse to sign up that person for a line of credit without them realizing it. It's EVEN WORSE to have PayPal credit auto select and repopulate when you refresh a page even when you want to use your normal credit card. It's also terrible to not close a person's account when they ask for it to be closed. It's also terrible to throw the "terms and conditions" in someone's face when it's so clear that what happened was misleading, at best. It's not ok to charge late fees for a line of credit a person never asked for, never wanted, and never knew they signed up for. These are all deceptive business practices in my opinion and I am super leery of this company. Everyone beware!

If I could give PayPal credit zero stars that would be too much. I was online shopping for an elliptical machine. I saw one on Nordic Track website that I liked - I saw an offer to apply for PayPal credit, I was immediately approved for $1500 and purchased that equipment. A few hours later, I saw the SAME machine on another site for $800 so I canceled the initial purchase and attempted to purchase the other one for $800. PayPal wouldn't allow it. I called PayPal credit and they assured me I had $1500 available and there was no problem on their end and that I could purchase it. I tried 3 more times during that evening and each time it didn't go through. I called PayPal credit again and they told me it would work in 24 hours. I waited over 24 hours, tried to purchase and again it didn't go through.

I called PayPal credit again and they said it was because I had to create a PayPal account, which is separate from PayPal credit. OK. I did that. A PayPal representative told me I was good to go & my account would allow the charge. I tried again, and again and once again... still PayPal would not allow the charge. I called PayPal credit AGAIN. They told me the issue was that I needed to link a credit card, so I did that... still didn't allow the charge. I called PayPal AGAIN. They said while we were on the phone together, that I should try to make the charge again. I did, it didn't go through. I was put on hold then hung up on. I called PayPal credit again. I was told that because my PayPal wasn't at 100% that was why they were blocking the purchase. Ok, I asked "What did I need to do to make my profile 100% the rep?" said I needed to link my bank account. OK I did that. Still blocked the purchase.

I got very frustrated and let that day go. Tried again the next morning - still blocked from making a purchase. I called PayPal credit again. They told me that there was NO problem on their end. They put me on hold and told me they were going to try to override it to allow the purchase, but they couldn't do it either and they had no explanation for it. I waited several hours and tried again to make the purchase - still blocked. I called PayPal credit again and they said there was a security issue and put me on hold. The rep came back and said she thought there was a security issue but she was mistaken. She then said that the email addresses on the PayPal credit and PayPal accounts were different, so she straightened that out and assured me that I would now be able to make the purchase, no problem!

I tried again, still blocked. She told me to wait until the system reset itself overnight and try again in the morning, 7 AM their time, 10 AM my time. I waited until 11 AM my time and tried again, no... still blocked. I called PayPal credit AGAIN. I was told by this rep that I needed to try to purchase from another merchant and the problem was with that merchant. OK. I tried through a completely different store. NO, blocked again. I called PayPal credit AGAIN. This time they told me my account was blocked because there were too many attempts to make purchases ! NO kidding!!! They were the ones who kept telling me to try to make the purchase!!!

It's been several days, and the PayPal credit representatives are getting aggravated with my calls. I asked the simple question "if you extended me $1500 credit, they why am I not allowed to use it?" I get varied answers, such as the account is too new, too telling me that's too big of a charge ($800?) when I have a $1500 credit line?? They claim they can't do anything and really don't know the specific reason I am blocked. It's all speculation. I have credit cards available from other places.

Right now this is about principal not the actual item. How can a company ANY company extend credit to you, approve you, then keep blocking you for no real reason? I am not an online shopper, that's my wife's job. She has had a PayPal account for years, and anytime I want anything online (rare), we have used her account. I just so happened to see this one piece of equipment that offered a decent monthly payment with good terms for 18 months and I figured I'd apply. Never ever again will I use PayPal for anything. Due to this horrifying experience my wife is considering utilizing other payment methods for her numerous online purchases.

I had a PayPal credit account for years. I always paid as agreed. When I opened the account my FICO was 680 currently it's 725. My balances on revolving are lower than they have ever been. I was just advised that my account was closed without notice.

It was NOT clear to me that PayPal Credit is NOT associated with PayPal. I thought I could use a $2 credit with PayPal to pay part of a small charge I had with PayPal Credit ($130). Did not happen. This $2 difference built up to over $20 in late charges before PayPal Credit bothered to send me a bill in the regular mail. I may have deleted or sent to spam the email notices, but I could not find any in my inbox. When I called, PayPal Credit admitted they had on record that I had closed my account with them, but somehow, they never contacted me to clear up the misunderstanding about the less than $2 difference between what I had paid them and what they thought I owed. 8 months later, I finally get the bill in the mail with all these late charges and notification that the bill had been sent to collections. AAAARRRGHH!!!

Paypal credit is the worst credit company I have ever dealt with! I have paid them numerous payments even weekly of large amounts to get my bill down and they have charged me $35.00 for a promotional purchase that I paid off months ago! They told me I have to call in when and state that I wanna make a payment to a promotional purchase. Never was I told that when I signed up with them! They are sneaky. After paying off my promotional balances I have been charged every month around $8 in interest even though I am putting way more than the minimum payment there. They told me if I put more payments there the interest would be less and no it's not. It's the same. I am so close to paying this card off and will immediately cancel afterwards! Never again! Do not ever apply with paypal credit! They suck your money and they suck. Period! They are losing a great paying customer...

What a scam this is. They lure you into opening an account, hand a hard credit report and approve you for a line of credit. Mine was 2800.00. Have tried on several occasions to use and have only had one transaction of 22.00 accepted. Any and all other transactions did not have the PayPal credit option when checking out on PayPal and wanted to take the money out of my checking account or another credit card. What a joke PayPay Credit is. Had I done the research prior to opening the PayPal credit account, I never would have applied or accepted it. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of hassle, stay away from PayPal.

I spent the good majority of my morning yesterday talking to these idiots. I signed up for PayPal credit recently and was approved. I went to make a purchase and it would not give me the option. Called PayPal (3 calls) to get it "resolved". The woman that "fixed" it unlinked it from my PayPal to a new PayPal. NO GO. Since it was a new PayPal I still couldn't use it. Called these idiots back and got it switched back over. Due to adding it back it limited my account. I had to call 4 more times to get it fixed. Still not resolved. Finally after the 11th call, and 4 managers it was fixed right? Wrong. I went to make a purchase using credit... and when I looked in my bank account PayPal reverted it to processing the payment through my actual debit card. I am deleting my account with them today and filing another complaint with the BBB. These people are complete and utter morons. NEVER do business with them!

Very simply I asked for them to research a company I purchased from just to determine which computer I had. I also contacted the seller that promised a return call. Seller gave me 2 tracking numbers. No call from seller or PayPal. PayPal works with dishonest merchant services to run up credit charges. Then closes your account under dishonest dealing with seller. Stay away from their credit division. Merchant Rakuten. Also sold me a computer that they didn't have in stock.

Previously known as "Bill Me Later" this company will intentionally hold on to your payments in order to scam more interest out of you. And it builds, and builds, and BUILDS. We paid what we owed ($54) on time, but they held on to it and charged us $30 interest. When we didn't pay it, they continued to charge us interest. And finally when the interest was $170, we wrote a letter to consumer affairs who got in touch with them. They reduced the overcharges to $50. Still haven't paid it. They said they closed the account and aren't charging us more interest. But they are. Don't ever use this "service".

Requested a check less than 5 minutes ago and they want to charge $15 fee to cancel it. It costs $1.50 to send it out. What kind of crap is this? That is an outright scam!

PayPal is tricking people into signing up for their credit!!! They tricked me into signing up, and then they DID credit checks with Equifax and the other agencies. This has brought my credit score down. I have contacted my attorney. We should all get together and file a lawsuit against PayPal. They are dangerous and they will deceive you and ruin your credit. Beware of PayPal!!!

Accumulated over $100 in fees on an accidental $5 purchase in 5 months. Of course they don't notify you of a past due payment until they a nice big pile of fees... Closing account required calling in and had me on and off hold for an hour.

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Profile

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)