1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

508 PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I took advantage of the six months with no interest or interest option. My payment was due on December 13 and I mailed the full payment on November 29th. Because of the Christmas rush PayPal processing was behind and they didn’t process my check until December 20th. On the 16th I was notified that my account was charged the accrued interest. I called their customer service and was told not to worry, that when the payment is processed the postmark would be examined and the interest charge would be reversed. On January 12th I received an email showing that the check was processed but the interest charge was not reversed. I called again and was told they had no idea when my payment was postmarked and would not reverse the charge. I have a perfect payment record with them and an 832 credit score, yet they treated me like dirt and stole a few dollars from me. I will never do business with PayPal again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Synchronicity made PayPal cut me off. I've used PayPal Credit for YEARS. Originally got it when I monetized my worldwide website. I always have paid on time and been in good standing, I rely on the account at the holidays. In August for no reason or explanation my available credit balance went to zero. It took me 2 months to get an answer - the new company Synchronicity was freezing accounts - no reasons no explanations. I'm done with this. What horrible treatment of good paying customers.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

A call to PayPal today to ask why a eBay payment went DIRECTLY into PayPal Credit and not thru the usual channels. OMG! I also ended up (after 2 hours and 9 different "transfers) "speaking" with that same #METOO phony Liberal female who did nothing but "read the rules." Speaking with? No, just LISTEN to her go on and on and on and... Her only job is to talk in circles, constantly repeating Payment Settings, lying about eBay's involvement with PayPal Credit, lying about PayPal's email to me 1 hour before, "You have the wrong settings" and so on. "I told you but you tried to interrupt me, so I'll read the Rules to you again!" Previous to getting stuck with this #METOO female, a MALE manager agreed with me that the eBay transaction had INCORRECTLY ended up in PayPal Credit. "I see your account settings and you are right." Then SHE comes on the phone and basically says I'm stupid and rude.

PayPal is illegally channeling payments into people's Credit accounts instead of the process (settings) set up in their PayPal accounts. This is ILLEGAL If I don't SELECT PayPal Credit they can't LEGALLY ADD to my Credit account! Is PayPal now run by a female? Could be. Steal as much money as she can from customers before they close their account - then REPORT THAT PAYPAL CLOSED THAT ACCOUNT DUE TO POOR PERFORMANCE. The same happens if YOU close YOUR PayPal Credit account! Then spend months trying to get the credit reporting agencies to correct PayPal's false statements! Say anything against that phony female and PayPal will attack you (they're now saying my account has "suspicious activity" and have put "limits" on your account. Really!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I made a purchase using PayPal Credit with 6 months to pay the balance in full. I later made an additional purchase. I made payments that would have covered both the original payments and payments to cover the second purchase. Instead of PayPal crediting both purchases, they credited the second purchase only. After realizing this, one month prior to the first purchase expiring, I contacted PayPal Credit only to be told that the first purchase did not require payments for 6 months so the payments were not applied. Excuse me? If I'm making additional payments, why would none of them be applied to a six month purchase and only applied to the twenty-four month purchase? Sounds stupid right? Anyway, I paid the first purchase in full the next month. What did PayPal Credit do? Apply most of the payment to the first purchase, and applied enough of my payment towards the second payment in order to make sure that I had to pay the accrued interest.

By the way, the automatic payment that was scheduled was canceled by PayPal Credit so that a portion of the payment towards the first payment would apply to the second purchase. Get it... covering their butts! My intention is to pay the balance that I have twenty four months to pay in full off as quickly as I can and then I will NEVER use PayPal Credit again. And as an aside, I contacted the BBB about the situation and PayPal Credit did not respond through the BBB, they sent me a BS letter telling me that they recorded the conversation and the agent did her job well. I also record my phone calls PayPal Credit and she was rude!!! Thanks for nothing!

The moral of this story is DON'T USE PAYPAL CREDIT! It may sound good but they are the worst credit card company. I have other companies that I deal with that have the same type of no interest if paid... and they don't do these types of things. If you feel so compelled to use PayPal Credit buyer beware. DO NOT purchase more than one purchase on PayPal Credit and expect them to credit them as you would like. If you do, good luck. I'm sure you will be just like me... extremely disgusted and thinking that it was not worth the trouble at all.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I've been using PayPal Credit for a few years now and never had a problem. Last month I got an email on October 27th with my statement and immediately made a payment above the amount to avoid accrued interest as I did every month. Little did I know but the 27th was still part of the October billing statement (a fact that isn't specified anywhere) and thus was never applied to my November statement. I then logged into my account to make a payment after getting my next statement and see that I am now past due and was charged a $27 late fee. The customer service representative was fairly rude and matter of fact about this being the case with every credit card. Going to pay off my balance and close this account as soon as possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

PayPal cares more about the seller than the purchaser. I opened my account 4 years ago with Bill me later. I have never had problems with items purchased until now. I am now on my second item. Never received. Very small of money but the principle is I am suppose to have buyer's protection no matter what. When I tried to file a buyer's protection claim they left me on hold for 30 minutes then hung up on me. The seller can give any tracking number they want and PayPal stands with them. Even if you file a police report in regards to item never being received.

My amounts are 13.97 and 9.99. I am closing account due to not having a consumer protection. They are falsifying an ad and I will be looking into legal actions in regards to this matter. The account is dangerous to have. It's sad because it help teach me how to shop online instead of in store. I guess I will going back to the American way.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had the lovely opportunity to call PayPal and talk with theirs disputes department today. After an hour of bouncing around from this person to this person. So I spoke with a young women who had only one thing in mind and that was to repeat the rules to her department! She can’t call, message or email my representative to my dispute. Well after getting nowhere with her I asked her for a supervisor to make me understand what she was trying to say. Repeating “The Rules” repeatedly was going nowhere. So I hung up and called back and spoke with a very nice understanding gal who transferred me to some specialist named SHANE. Well I can tell you after speaking with Shane I CLOSED ALL MY ACCOUNTS WITH PAYPAL!!! Who needs them and eBay!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had a PayPal Credit account for about 3 yrs now, no problems. Recently received PayPal Credit invitations to update my financial info to take advantage of promotional offers. I updated the info and inquired about requesting a credit line increase. I was instructed to make a purchase over the amount of my available balance and it would trigger a review of my financial info and payment history (always paid on time or early and always more than minimum) and would result in either a credit line increase or a decline of the purchase (to then be paid for by another method). This seemed bizarre to me but I was assured it would constitute a soft hit to my credit and was the only way to request a credit line increase.

I made a purchase on eBay, paid thru PayPal Credit and it went over my balance by $77.46. PayPal Credit paid it but after a follow up with them I learn that my credit line increase will be determined on a per item basis and I wouldn't ever actually know ahead of time the amount that would be my new limit. I would discover that when at the time of an eventual purchase I was declined. This is crazy credit. I spoke with (2) PayPal Credit reps and neither rep ever explained this. Turns out it is buried in the terms of service and I had to have a supervisor guide me to it. I will be paying out and closing my account and looking for other options not associated with PayPal Credit.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have had PayPal for quite a while and have never really had an issue with them. However, this new update that went out regarding minimum balances due on all of the bills fails to advise that if you make additional payments on balances that are coming due, they arbitrarily apply the payment toward the interest free balances that have a longer time frame. So, while you think you are paying down balances that are coming due, beware when you get slapped with accrued interest charges on balances that were not paid off that you thought you were paying off because they want to get the balances with the longer no interest balances paid off. This way, they maximize their rate of return on the 2 year interest free balances!!! Very sneaky and underhanded, just thought consumers should know that this is PayPal new strategy. This way you are not blindsided with balances you thought were paid off and interest fees!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I asked for a change in billing date to coincide with other bills as I am gone from home a great deal work. It took PayPal over a month to change it and they charged me yet another late fee. Despite the fact that I am a great, longtime customer with excellent credit, the management said policies trump customers. I am disappointed in their "fake" customer service. I have never experienced this before as most credit companies want great customers. I will take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I made some purchases on PayPal Credit adding up to a few hundred dollars. And started making my payments as the site requested, and then paid more above the minimum. But the money never reached the cost of the items that I purchased. Every month I got a bill that was higher and higher. As they kept tacking on accrued interest, and a 27.00 monthly fee with no explanation as to what that was for. So I have paid more than double the cost of my items, and the bill is now 276.00 dollars and rising.

Because none of my money was applied towards the actual purchases that I made. Instead they make up excuses for multiple accrued interests that I owe, and tack on that 27.00 fee, to make sure that I can never pay off this bill. AVOID PAYPAL CREDIT at all costs. It is a scam. They will not allow you to pay specifically for the items you purchased, so that you're stuck paying their ridiculously high monthly fees first. And the money will not go towards your purchases. I paid off the 276.00 today in full. And I will guarantee that they try to tack on some other stupid fees to keep the account in the negative. I will never use PayPal Credit again for anything.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Totally understood the terms and conditions, but I figured I'd give it a try. The terms are far too open ended, and I don't think I'll be giving a try on a similar product. Seriously, "PayPal Credit may not be offered as a funding source for every purchase. Some PayPal merchants don't accept PayPal Credit" is fine. But "In addition, please note that even if a merchant offers PayPal Credit as a way to pay, PayPal reserves the right to restrict your ability to use your credit line depending on the circumstances of each purchase" is a joke. It's one thing to have, say, a Care Credit account and KNOW that you're only limited to medical related expenses. It's another thing to not know what in the world you're limited to, it's like why even bother trying to make a purchase? It feels like a waste of time and I'm seriously hoping that PayPal will re-consider their 'case-by-case basis' purchase method with this card.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Been hacked! My personal identification information was hacked from PayPal and someone opened a PayPal credit account under my information. Now "they" say I owe $1700. I've submitted a Fraud Claim and within 3 days of them receiving it, they said they couldn't find any fraudulent activity. (BS!) Then the fraud department sent me paperwork to submit - "Affidavit of Fraud". I submitted it and still they say it's mine. Even the representative from the Fraud department I talked to could see that the charges were not mine! The Fraud department from PayPal Credit PROBABLY DID NOT EVEN LOOK AT THIS ACCOUNT.

I will not pay this, my lawyer will pursue it, I would like to sue them for allowing someone to use my personal information to obtain a CREDIT account with them AND FOR NOT VERIFYING. I've lost sleep, numerous (weekly) calls from them wanting money, monthly bills showing up with finance charges, submitting credit fraud watches on all my banking accounts, having to write to government agencies, submitting credit watches, etc. I WILL NOT PAY THIS - I DID NOT OPEN THIS ACCOUNT!!! PayPal Credit Fraud department is a farce!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

PayPal recently changed its business practices and their billing has become so confusing, you need a PHD to figure it out. I was misquoted by a rep the amount I needed to pay to avoid interest and then I got my next statement and incurred an interest fee because of their stupidity. I also have subtracted my balance from the promotions and my recent purchases and they simply do not add up to my balance. Every time I get on the phone with one of their reps, they cut me off. They purposely confuse you and I am ready to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I was one of their first customers and not only have they taken away the ability to make in store purchases, they have become crooks, merely because they don't report to credit bureaus. After I pay off my balance, I am ditching them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

PayPal Credit offers promotional purchase options, but does not tell you anywhere on their site how to apply your payments to these purchases to avoid interest. They used to have an FAQ area that mentioned it, but now it's gone, and I had to find a forum discussion about it from 3 years ago - which the answer was you must call or email and specifically request a payment be allocated. You CANNOT do this anywhere on the site, and there is no information about it either.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently got a approved an account with PayPal credit. After I got approved I tried using my account. The payment declined so I call PayPal. They claim security blocking my transaction so I had to send 'em some documents such as ID AND BILL OR BANK STATEMENT ETC so I did. The next day I get an email telling me my account reinstated. I could use my account now so once again I goes online to purchase something through PayPal credit. Decline again. Now I’m getting mad. I goes to call PayPal. The same BS with them security blocking again. Now I still have to wait 3 to 5 days before to even run the transaction through PayPal credit. I know one thing. I would never recommend nobody to apply for their credit because it sucks. I wonder if security block me when it’s time to make a payment to their **.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Applied for and was approved for PayPal Credit, thought it would be handy to use on eBay and since they offered 0 interest for any purchase paid off in 6 months, it was a no-brainer. Tried to use it to buy a tonneau cover for my pickup, declined payment. Contacted PayPal, they said it was a security issue, that I had to verify my bank and credit card, WTH. So, I verify all that, try it again, still declined.

Contacted PayPal again, told them I know it's not Synchrony Bank, because I have a large purchase financed through them, so all my info is verified. They say nothing is wrong with my account, but it still doesn't work. Waited 4 days, tried a different item, smaller purchase, and it goes through. Waited another week, tried another small purchase, declined. This company must be run by the mob. Gonna pay off my account and close it before I have some of the issues others have listed on here. The Better Business Bureau should issue a warning about this company.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I used PayPal on and off for about a year and had no problem. Recently I sent 1,000.00 to a friend via PayPal. The money never made it. I've been on hold for 2 hr, last time I called they hung up on me.

Original review: July 27, 2018

They have the most confusing system (statements, online tracking system) I have ever seen. It is obviously to confuse the consumer so they can make money off your confusion. I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of every single charge that I make, so I can keep track of exactly what I need to pay off by certain dates. Thank God I do this, because the people who work in the customer service dept make many mistakes. NO logic or comprehension whatsoever. Horrible communication skills. They interrupt, they don't listen. It's maddening!

I made several large payments on my PayPal credit account within a 2 week period. I then called and spoke with Jonathan (who, I found out later, gave me a lot of incorrect information). I asked him to simply reallocate $1200+ of what I had paid ($2815) to a few promotions that were expiring soon. I had already done the math and explained everything. A week later, he completely screwed up everything on my account. It was extremely frustrating.

I called and spoke with Jayden. He offered to have me speak with a supervisor - who continued to interrupt me over and over again. I was livid! It's already a confusing thing to explain, but they to have him interrupt and talk over me was it! I lost it! As I explained to him AGAIN what I wanted. He read back to me THE WRONG thing again! He was about to screw it up even more. I could not believe it. I explained it AGAIN! I THINK he understood and got it right this time... but I won't know until 5 days from now. I use PayPal credit a TON! This has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a credit company. Why do they make it so difficult? So they can make money off your confusion. Beware! Keep track of EVERYTHING!

Original review: July 10, 2018

When I first used Paypal Credit about 3-4 years ago, they started off with a fresh advertisement saying "Bill Me Later" at "Free and no hidden fees!" So I applied and then forgot about it and never used it for 3-4 years. Turns out that the first month I opened an account for Paypal Credit I was automatically charged $20 and then kept snowballing from late payment fees to about $178. Like I said, never used the card once for a single purchase, I was so deceived by the "Free and no hidden fees!" advertisement on the Paypal homepage.

Then as usual, the unpaid balance of $178 was sent off to collection agency hurting my credit for a service I never used or benefited for. After 4 years the collection agency was desperate enough for me to make an attempt to pay it off so they were willing to $50 and disregard the rest of the fee. So I did that and now I'm aware to stay FAR AWAY from Paypal Credit. It's not free, it's too good to be true. They will only screw you for the benefit of money. And so as everyone says, Paypal lost a good customer. Been a member since 2011, and now I'm finished with Paypal Credit!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I made a bid in October for an item on eBay, I won the bid but never received the product and never had contact with the seller. It does not show in my eBay account as a completed transaction but yet PayPal is saying that they paid the seller. So I assumed this was a done deal, never got the product, never heard from the seller and it never was a completed transaction on my eBay account. I hardly ever check my personal e-mail but I did the other day and I get an invoice that is overdue from PayPal and now I am over the 180 days to make a dispute. Had I received the item or had any inclination that the payment went through I would have looked for the invoice and paid it, I never not pay my credits/debts.

I have called eBay and PayPal several times and just get bounced around from one person to another and no one seems to be able to help me or willing to help me, eBay says call PayPal and PayPal says call eBay. Not only are they unprofessional but the employees from eBay say PayPal is a mess and PayPal is saying eBay is a mess. I just don't understand how a big company that have been around for several years does not know how to handle this or are willing to help me with it.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I was purchasing an item for $419 on eBay and as I was checking out I saw an offer by PayPal Credit for 0% for 12 months on items over $300 so I took advantage of it. When I got the first statement I saw they were charging me 9.99% so I filed a dispute. After a week or so they came back and said they checked and at that time the promotion was for reduced interest rate of 9.99% and they couldn't change it. I consider myself a pretty reasonable person, and if I made a mistake I would accept it, but I'm pretty darn sure it said 0% for 12 months or I wouldn't have done it. So I don't know if it was some sort of deceptive presentation that made me believe it was 0% with a switch I didn't notice, but either way I expected better from them. My advice is don't use them and if you do, get a screenshot of the offer before accepting it so you have evidence when they screw you. Shame on you PayPal.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have used promotional credit for lot of thing over the years but all of them had an auto payment system. PayPal only allows minimum payment or full payment. This is by design so after 6 months you forget and be charged 20% interest. This is the 3rd time I have missed a promo by 1 day. I'm so done with PayPal credit. I called. They wouldn't give any exception. I get that I should have done better job of keeping track. PayPal lose more customers than keep by one time payout of interest. I will never use this service again. PayPal just lost a good customer.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Having this account was part of a packaged deal when applying for something else, otherwise would have never gotten this service. Apparently you can ONLY use a check or direct bank account transfer to do payments, no balance transfer or anything else. There are other ways to get financial assistance that provide better payment options than this service, until they make some upgrades, stay away and look to other BETTER options.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I applied for a PayPal credit card, issued by Synchrony Bank. I was turned down because they could not confirm my phone number. True, I had moved and changed the phone account, but I had notified PayPal of the change. No big deal so far. What is not acceptable is that I received a letter from TransUnion to the effect that Synchrony Bank's query about my application had triggered a fraud alert. I notified Synchrony Bank of this but received no response whatsoever. Imagine that, a credit card application triggers a fraud alert. The only terms I can use to describe this are slipshod operating procedure and unprofessional behavior.

Original review: May 23, 2018

PayPal credit offers 6 months no interest for purchases over $100 or so they lead you to believe. You would have to read their terms and conditions online to know that if you do not pay off the total amount charged within the free 6 month period, they will charge you interest for the entire 6 months that it was supposed to be interest free. They also do not list interest charges on your activity page so unless you are viewing your monthly statement it is very easy not to notice. Very deceptive business practices. Also, their already high interest rate is being greatly increased by the new corporation, beware!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Longtime customer received notice that my Paypal account is changing from Comenity Capital Bank to Synchrony Bank and interest going up to 25.49%!!! No late payments ever. Should have law against this. I will be closing account.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Paypal Credit was awesome, my credit was less than stellar so I was happy with 19.99 though never paid it. Today I read that letter and pretty much determined I won't be using the service after July 2nd. Synchrony has already reduced my limit on one other card serviced by them. I imagine July 2nd I'll find that letter or an email stating they dropped my limit to .30 above my current balance simply to screw with my credit score. Paypal Credit was the one thing that allowed me to give my business to someone other than Amazon. Without PP Credit I have zero incentive to wait for shipping from other providers.

I can't wait for the full account changes to be published, I am guessing there will be something in there about missing a payment will terminate promos and jack rates even higher. Problem numeral uno with Public Companies, they do stupid stuff to please stockholders even if it hurts the very merchants that rely on its service or even in reality hurts the brand. I can predict merchants dumping PayPal and moving exclusively to affirm. But the Paypal investors won't care because there will be higher margins on the merchants they have left.

I feel bad for the people that have perfect credit and still get this high rate. Yes it's the way store cards operate, until now Paypal Credit was the lone exception. Looking back at the articles regarding this from last November, it's a good and safe bet that Synchrony will get the 19.99 Comenity used to get, and Paypal will get the rest. Or something to that effect.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I've been a PayPal Credit user since it was Bill Me Later. I use it many, many times a month because it's so convenient. Always pay my bill on time, always more than the min. and always pay off the no interest balance before they are due. My last statement was returned to them by the post office, this was an issue with my post office not PayPal Credit, but, I contacted PayPal Credit as soon as I got the notice that the statement was returned to make sure everything was ok on their side of things. They confirmed the address was correct, and said everything was fine. It was a less than 2 minute phone call. This morning, I logged on to my PayPal Credit account to check the status of a payment. I noticed it said I had zero credit available, instead of the several thousands of credit I should have available. I figured it was a website issue (as it seems to go down for maintenance at least once a month) but I decided to call anyway.

I was told not only was it correct, my account had been put on "hold" because of the returned statement. I told the rep that I had already called and discussed the issue with them and was told that everything was fine, she questioned when I had called, which was less than a week ago. She told me the rep I talked to earlier in the week should have explained everything she said next... She told me that not only was my account on "hold" they could not do anything about it until JULY, because the bank is changing. I questioned why I was not told there was an issue when I called earlier in the week, and why they could not do anything about it since I had already verified all my info for them. She then stated they needed to send me information about the bank change over and because it was returned to them and that is why my account was on "hold" (wait... I thought it was the returned statement??).

She then said, regardless, they would not be able to do anything about it until July because "this change over needs to happen, and is important" (clearly their customers are not), never mind that I did exactly what I was supposed to and contacted them, and they told me there was no issue... From reading the other recent reviews, I assume what they want to send me is a notice telling me of the bank and APR change...and like everyone else, that APR is a deal breaker for me. Great way to treat your loyal customers PayPal Credit.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I had a long and valued relationship with paypal. When I started with Paypal Credit, quickly found myself confused and unable to understand what was going on with my banking. I found purchases as debits on both my bank statement and my Paypal credit statement. This included items NOT marked for payment by Paypal credit. I am left with a Paypal Credit statement with a balance due, unable to understand the transactions. I called Paypal Credit to get an explanation of the statement. I talked to an agent and a supervisor. Those conversations led me to cancel my Paypal Credit. In my mind there is something wrong with their bookkeeping when I can't understand it. I am retired; however, I have done, and continue to do tax preparation. A total of more than 35yrs with clients having incomes to $150,000.00. If I can work with the IRS and their accounting systems, why is Paypal Credit so impossible to understand.

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Information