1.15/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

498 PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I made some purchases on PayPal Credit adding up to a few hundred dollars. And started making my payments as the site requested, and then paid more above the minimum. But the money never reached the cost of the items that I purchased. Every month I got a bill that was higher and higher. As they kept tacking on accrued interest, and a 27.00 monthly fee with no explanation as to what that was for. So I have paid more than double the cost of my items, and the bill is now 276.00 dollars and rising.

Because none of my money was applied towards the actual purchases that I made. Instead they make up excuses for multiple accrued interests that I owe, and tack on that 27.00 fee, to make sure that I can never pay off this bill. AVOID PAYPAL CREDIT at all costs. It is a scam. They will not allow you to pay specifically for the items you purchased, so that you're stuck paying their ridiculously high monthly fees first. And the money will not go towards your purchases. I paid off the 276.00 today in full. And I will guarantee that they try to tack on some other stupid fees to keep the account in the negative. I will never use PayPal Credit again for anything.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Totally understood the terms and conditions, but I figured I'd give it a try. The terms are far too open ended, and I don't think I'll be giving a try on a similar product. Seriously, "PayPal Credit may not be offered as a funding source for every purchase. Some PayPal merchants don't accept PayPal Credit" is fine. But "In addition, please note that even if a merchant offers PayPal Credit as a way to pay, PayPal reserves the right to restrict your ability to use your credit line depending on the circumstances of each purchase" is a joke. It's one thing to have, say, a Care Credit account and KNOW that you're only limited to medical related expenses. It's another thing to not know what in the world you're limited to, it's like why even bother trying to make a purchase? It feels like a waste of time and I'm seriously hoping that PayPal will re-consider their 'case-by-case basis' purchase method with this card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Been hacked! My personal identification information was hacked from PayPal and someone opened a PayPal credit account under my information. Now "they" say I owe $1700. I've submitted a Fraud Claim and within 3 days of them receiving it, they said they couldn't find any fraudulent activity. (BS!) Then the fraud department sent me paperwork to submit - "Affidavit of Fraud". I submitted it and still they say it's mine. Even the representative from the Fraud department I talked to could see that the charges were not mine! The Fraud department from PayPal Credit PROBABLY DID NOT EVEN LOOK AT THIS ACCOUNT.

I will not pay this, my lawyer will pursue it, I would like to sue them for allowing someone to use my personal information to obtain a CREDIT account with them AND FOR NOT VERIFYING. I've lost sleep, numerous (weekly) calls from them wanting money, monthly bills showing up with finance charges, submitting credit fraud watches on all my banking accounts, having to write to government agencies, submitting credit watches, etc. I WILL NOT PAY THIS - I DID NOT OPEN THIS ACCOUNT!!! PayPal Credit Fraud department is a farce!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

PayPal recently changed its business practices and their billing has become so confusing, you need a PHD to figure it out. I was misquoted by a rep the amount I needed to pay to avoid interest and then I got my next statement and incurred an interest fee because of their stupidity. I also have subtracted my balance from the promotions and my recent purchases and they simply do not add up to my balance. Every time I get on the phone with one of their reps, they cut me off. They purposely confuse you and I am ready to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I was one of their first customers and not only have they taken away the ability to make in store purchases, they have become crooks, merely because they don't report to credit bureaus. After I pay off my balance, I am ditching them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

PayPal Credit offers promotional purchase options, but does not tell you anywhere on their site how to apply your payments to these purchases to avoid interest. They used to have an FAQ area that mentioned it, but now it's gone, and I had to find a forum discussion about it from 3 years ago - which the answer was you must call or email and specifically request a payment be allocated. You CANNOT do this anywhere on the site, and there is no information about it either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I recently got a approved an account with PayPal credit. After I got approved I tried using my account. The payment declined so I call PayPal. They claim security blocking my transaction so I had to send 'em some documents such as ID AND BILL OR BANK STATEMENT ETC so I did. The next day I get an email telling me my account reinstated. I could use my account now so once again I goes online to purchase something through PayPal credit. Decline again. Now I’m getting mad. I goes to call PayPal. The same BS with them security blocking again. Now I still have to wait 3 to 5 days before to even run the transaction through PayPal credit. I know one thing. I would never recommend nobody to apply for their credit because it sucks. I wonder if security block me when it’s time to make a payment to their **.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Applied for and was approved for PayPal Credit, thought it would be handy to use on eBay and since they offered 0 interest for any purchase paid off in 6 months, it was a no-brainer. Tried to use it to buy a tonneau cover for my pickup, declined payment. Contacted PayPal, they said it was a security issue, that I had to verify my bank and credit card, WTH. So, I verify all that, try it again, still declined.

Contacted PayPal again, told them I know it's not Synchrony Bank, because I have a large purchase financed through them, so all my info is verified. They say nothing is wrong with my account, but it still doesn't work. Waited 4 days, tried a different item, smaller purchase, and it goes through. Waited another week, tried another small purchase, declined. This company must be run by the mob. Gonna pay off my account and close it before I have some of the issues others have listed on here. The Better Business Bureau should issue a warning about this company.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I used PayPal on and off for about a year and had no problem. Recently I sent 1,000.00 to a friend via PayPal. The money never made it. I've been on hold for 2 hr, last time I called they hung up on me.

Original review: July 27, 2018

They have the most confusing system (statements, online tracking system) I have ever seen. It is obviously to confuse the consumer so they can make money off your confusion. I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of every single charge that I make, so I can keep track of exactly what I need to pay off by certain dates. Thank God I do this, because the people who work in the customer service dept make many mistakes. NO logic or comprehension whatsoever. Horrible communication skills. They interrupt, they don't listen. It's maddening!

I made several large payments on my PayPal credit account within a 2 week period. I then called and spoke with Jonathan (who, I found out later, gave me a lot of incorrect information). I asked him to simply reallocate $1200+ of what I had paid ($2815) to a few promotions that were expiring soon. I had already done the math and explained everything. A week later, he completely screwed up everything on my account. It was extremely frustrating.

I called and spoke with Jayden. He offered to have me speak with a supervisor - who continued to interrupt me over and over again. I was livid! It's already a confusing thing to explain, but they to have him interrupt and talk over me was it! I lost it! As I explained to him AGAIN what I wanted. He read back to me THE WRONG thing again! He was about to screw it up even more. I could not believe it. I explained it AGAIN! I THINK he understood and got it right this time... but I won't know until 5 days from now. I use PayPal credit a TON! This has been the most frustrating experience I have ever had with a credit company. Why do they make it so difficult? So they can make money off your confusion. Beware! Keep track of EVERYTHING!

Original review: July 10, 2018

When I first used Paypal Credit about 3-4 years ago, they started off with a fresh advertisement saying "Bill Me Later" at "Free and no hidden fees!" So I applied and then forgot about it and never used it for 3-4 years. Turns out that the first month I opened an account for Paypal Credit I was automatically charged $20 and then kept snowballing from late payment fees to about $178. Like I said, never used the card once for a single purchase, I was so deceived by the "Free and no hidden fees!" advertisement on the Paypal homepage.

Then as usual, the unpaid balance of $178 was sent off to collection agency hurting my credit for a service I never used or benefited for. After 4 years the collection agency was desperate enough for me to make an attempt to pay it off so they were willing to $50 and disregard the rest of the fee. So I did that and now I'm aware to stay FAR AWAY from Paypal Credit. It's not free, it's too good to be true. They will only screw you for the benefit of money. And so as everyone says, Paypal lost a good customer. Been a member since 2011, and now I'm finished with Paypal Credit!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I made a bid in October for an item on eBay, I won the bid but never received the product and never had contact with the seller. It does not show in my eBay account as a completed transaction but yet PayPal is saying that they paid the seller. So I assumed this was a done deal, never got the product, never heard from the seller and it never was a completed transaction on my eBay account. I hardly ever check my personal e-mail but I did the other day and I get an invoice that is overdue from PayPal and now I am over the 180 days to make a dispute. Had I received the item or had any inclination that the payment went through I would have looked for the invoice and paid it, I never not pay my credits/debts.

I have called eBay and PayPal several times and just get bounced around from one person to another and no one seems to be able to help me or willing to help me, eBay says call PayPal and PayPal says call eBay. Not only are they unprofessional but the employees from eBay say PayPal is a mess and PayPal is saying eBay is a mess. I just don't understand how a big company that have been around for several years does not know how to handle this or are willing to help me with it.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I was purchasing an item for $419 on eBay and as I was checking out I saw an offer by PayPal Credit for 0% for 12 months on items over $300 so I took advantage of it. When I got the first statement I saw they were charging me 9.99% so I filed a dispute. After a week or so they came back and said they checked and at that time the promotion was for reduced interest rate of 9.99% and they couldn't change it. I consider myself a pretty reasonable person, and if I made a mistake I would accept it, but I'm pretty darn sure it said 0% for 12 months or I wouldn't have done it. So I don't know if it was some sort of deceptive presentation that made me believe it was 0% with a switch I didn't notice, but either way I expected better from them. My advice is don't use them and if you do, get a screenshot of the offer before accepting it so you have evidence when they screw you. Shame on you PayPal.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have used promotional credit for lot of thing over the years but all of them had an auto payment system. PayPal only allows minimum payment or full payment. This is by design so after 6 months you forget and be charged 20% interest. This is the 3rd time I have missed a promo by 1 day. I'm so done with PayPal credit. I called. They wouldn't give any exception. I get that I should have done better job of keeping track. PayPal lose more customers than keep by one time payout of interest. I will never use this service again. PayPal just lost a good customer.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Having this account was part of a packaged deal when applying for something else, otherwise would have never gotten this service. Apparently you can ONLY use a check or direct bank account transfer to do payments, no balance transfer or anything else. There are other ways to get financial assistance that provide better payment options than this service, until they make some upgrades, stay away and look to other BETTER options.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I applied for a PayPal credit card, issued by Synchrony Bank. I was turned down because they could not confirm my phone number. True, I had moved and changed the phone account, but I had notified PayPal of the change. No big deal so far. What is not acceptable is that I received a letter from TransUnion to the effect that Synchrony Bank's query about my application had triggered a fraud alert. I notified Synchrony Bank of this but received no response whatsoever. Imagine that, a credit card application triggers a fraud alert. The only terms I can use to describe this are slipshod operating procedure and unprofessional behavior.

Original review: May 23, 2018

PayPal credit offers 6 months no interest for purchases over $100 or so they lead you to believe. You would have to read their terms and conditions online to know that if you do not pay off the total amount charged within the free 6 month period, they will charge you interest for the entire 6 months that it was supposed to be interest free. They also do not list interest charges on your activity page so unless you are viewing your monthly statement it is very easy not to notice. Very deceptive business practices. Also, their already high interest rate is being greatly increased by the new corporation, beware!

Original review: May 13, 2018

Longtime customer received notice that my Paypal account is changing from Comenity Capital Bank to Synchrony Bank and interest going up to 25.49%!!! No late payments ever. Should have law against this. I will be closing account.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Paypal Credit was awesome, my credit was less than stellar so I was happy with 19.99 though never paid it. Today I read that letter and pretty much determined I won't be using the service after July 2nd. Synchrony has already reduced my limit on one other card serviced by them. I imagine July 2nd I'll find that letter or an email stating they dropped my limit to .30 above my current balance simply to screw with my credit score. Paypal Credit was the one thing that allowed me to give my business to someone other than Amazon. Without PP Credit I have zero incentive to wait for shipping from other providers.

I can't wait for the full account changes to be published, I am guessing there will be something in there about missing a payment will terminate promos and jack rates even higher. Problem numeral uno with Public Companies, they do stupid stuff to please stockholders even if it hurts the very merchants that rely on its service or even in reality hurts the brand. I can predict merchants dumping PayPal and moving exclusively to affirm. But the Paypal investors won't care because there will be higher margins on the merchants they have left.

I feel bad for the people that have perfect credit and still get this high rate. Yes it's the way store cards operate, until now Paypal Credit was the lone exception. Looking back at the articles regarding this from last November, it's a good and safe bet that Synchrony will get the 19.99 Comenity used to get, and Paypal will get the rest. Or something to that effect.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I've been a PayPal Credit user since it was Bill Me Later. I use it many, many times a month because it's so convenient. Always pay my bill on time, always more than the min. and always pay off the no interest balance before they are due. My last statement was returned to them by the post office, this was an issue with my post office not PayPal Credit, but, I contacted PayPal Credit as soon as I got the notice that the statement was returned to make sure everything was ok on their side of things. They confirmed the address was correct, and said everything was fine. It was a less than 2 minute phone call. This morning, I logged on to my PayPal Credit account to check the status of a payment. I noticed it said I had zero credit available, instead of the several thousands of credit I should have available. I figured it was a website issue (as it seems to go down for maintenance at least once a month) but I decided to call anyway.

I was told not only was it correct, my account had been put on "hold" because of the returned statement. I told the rep that I had already called and discussed the issue with them and was told that everything was fine, she questioned when I had called, which was less than a week ago. She told me the rep I talked to earlier in the week should have explained everything she said next... She told me that not only was my account on "hold" they could not do anything about it until JULY, because the bank is changing. I questioned why I was not told there was an issue when I called earlier in the week, and why they could not do anything about it since I had already verified all my info for them. She then stated they needed to send me information about the bank change over and because it was returned to them and that is why my account was on "hold" (wait... I thought it was the returned statement??).

She then said, regardless, they would not be able to do anything about it until July because "this change over needs to happen, and is important" (clearly their customers are not), never mind that I did exactly what I was supposed to and contacted them, and they told me there was no issue... From reading the other recent reviews, I assume what they want to send me is a notice telling me of the bank and APR change...and like everyone else, that APR is a deal breaker for me. Great way to treat your loyal customers PayPal Credit.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I had a long and valued relationship with paypal. When I started with Paypal Credit, quickly found myself confused and unable to understand what was going on with my banking. I found purchases as debits on both my bank statement and my Paypal credit statement. This included items NOT marked for payment by Paypal credit. I am left with a Paypal Credit statement with a balance due, unable to understand the transactions. I called Paypal Credit to get an explanation of the statement. I talked to an agent and a supervisor. Those conversations led me to cancel my Paypal Credit. In my mind there is something wrong with their bookkeeping when I can't understand it. I am retired; however, I have done, and continue to do tax preparation. A total of more than 35yrs with clients having incomes to $150,000.00. If I can work with the IRS and their accounting systems, why is Paypal Credit so impossible to understand.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I just received a letter today informing me that due to a change in the credit issuer and "market conditions" (huh?), the Paypal credit interest rate for purchases is now 25.49%. My credit rating is excellent and merely 2 points below the very top. Any banker who charges this kind of interest rate for regular purchases should be tarred and feathered and escorted out of town on a donkey. That politicians would allow this type of highway robbery should tell us how deeply corrupt our government truly is, a government that no longer represents us but represents corporations and Wall Street almost exclusively (as everyone should know by now).

Original review: May 5, 2018

Something seriously wrong with PayPal Credit. I was having a problem with my PayPal account switching to PayPal Credit when making a purchase. This would happen even though I had changed the settings. I made a small $7.99 purchase in February and after the fact noticed that the charge had been applied to PayPal Credit rather than my checking account. I called PayPal and spoke to a rep who advised me to just pay off the $7.99. I did that and it appears on my account as being paid. Suddenly this month I received notice that I had an overdue payment of $14.99. Did not make any sense because there was no record of a purchase for $14.99. Called customer service at PayPal and after some back and forth was told I was charged a late fee and interest on the $7.99. I said I wanted to protest the charge.

This call was relayed to a supervisor who told the agent to tell me that the problem occurred because I paid the account too EARLY. The supervisor would not speak to me only relay info through the agent. The supervisor said my payment "should" have been made on the 20th of the month and I paid it earlier so I would be charged interest for paying it too early. They refused to remove the extra fees even though they could plainly see that the original charge had been paid. Instead, they refunded my original $7.99 payment the day of the call leaving me to pay a charge of $14.99. I paid it today rather than have it hanging over me but I do not know what to do as a recourse. Perhaps I am dense and can't grasp the logic of this. Or perhaps this is how PayPal chooses to take advantage of unsuspecting customers by charging interest and late fees on an amount that was paid too early. This seems fraudulent.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been a good customer of PayPal Bill Me Later for several years now. Always made my payments on time, never late, no problems at all. My credit is very good. Yesterday (5/02/18) I receive a letter in the mail from PayPal Credit dated 4/12/2018 stating that effective 7/02/18, the lender and owner of my PayPal Credit account (including any existing balances) is changing from Comenity Capital Bank to Synchrony Bank, and that my APR for purchases will be increasing to 25.49% So let me get this straight: longtime record of on-time payments, good customer, good credit rating, and they reward this with a ridiculous APR increase? Nope. Goodbye-taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Same as other consumers. l paid the credit l had requested on time and in full and have just received a letter indicating that in the future the interest rate for PayPal credit will be 25.49%. Will l use this service? Certainly not. Deplorable.

Original review: April 26, 2018

If I could give this company NEGATIVE stars I would. This company has repeatedly lost my payments while charging me late fees as well as interest. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, she was rude and not helpful at all. When I asked for corporate information I was given a fax number. I just paid off my account in full and will NEVER use this company again. I also plan on researching to find out who I can speak to or write a letter to at corporate. Because although their employees don’t care, I’m sure someone higher up the chain does. Especially when they start losing money and customers.

Original review: April 17, 2018

So I haven't been able to buy chips or logic analyzers or just about anything else with PayPal Credit, even though I have a healthy credit limit and never get anywhere near it. Just give up & use another CC every time. Because PayPal Credit is an unmitigated POS. Finally escalated this ongoing issue today to first Customer Service, then Tech support. The problem seems to be their merchant classification system, and how few merchants they actually offer PayPal Credit to as an option to.

"PayPal has not authorized this classification of merchant for payment using PayPal Credit." is the answer I'm getting from the customer service rep. But she can't give me the list of classifications that ARE authorized to receive payment using PayPal Credit, nor is she able to say what the merchant's "classification" is currently set to that is blocking this transaction.

When I pressed her to give me a few hints as to what kinds of merchants ARE and ARE NOT in the creditable categories, she gave "Firearms" as an example of merchants/items they do not offer credit for. These are LOGIC ANALYZERS and ARDUINO CHIPS, lady, not GUNS! Know the difference! Besides the mysterious undisclosed "merchant classification" PayPal Credit uses, is the fact that many merchants simply DO NOT ACCEPT PayPal Credit for payment. Oh, they don't TRUST you, PayPal? Gee, I WONDER WHY! This I discovered on further investigation with the vendors. But you don't get told that until AFTER PayPal Credit has been offered, then declined. NICE. Thanks, PayPal.

What prompted me to look into this annoying ongoing issue of being offered PayPal Credit with "buy now, get 6 months to pay" as a payment option on purchases, only to see it mysteriously declined, was a small charge that HAD gone through -- which I had not authorized. Specifically, I'd bought some concert tickets with TicketMaster (aka TicketBastard) where they'd tacked on a $15.98 insurance fee, noted ONLY in the fine print of the issued ticket, with the option to "opt out" on response to an email that winds up inevitably in your spam (SCAM) inbox. Nice, huh? Sure, they probably had some default-checked box somewhere way off-screen on the initial order so they could claim that you'd ordered this.

But does PayPal Credit have "scam insurance charges tacked on to ticket purchases" as one of the "merchant classifications" they exclude? Of course not. I wonder how much of a kickback Allianz Global Assistance and Ticketmaster paid PayPal Credit to have THOSE charges go through without question. NOTE the use of FINE PRINT in the ticket receipt.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Refused for no reason, when I phoned them they just said, "We don't know why." My question is, "What the hell you do there when you don't know the answer." Just don't put the phone number for customer services. This company going down soon as the customer services is so poor. I never had any bad credit and first time I was refused for no reason. FFS Paypal, it's a joke.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Do not EVER use PayPal Credit. You've been warned!!! This is the worst company available online. If you have an issue with them, or one of their creditors, they ONLY care about getting their money back. Even if you supply 100% legitimate information like I supplied, they will find in the favor of the creditor. They do NOT care about you at ALL. It's like being a cow in a slaughterhouse. Eventually they'll force you to be quiet and take everything from you, because they do not care about you. ONLY thing they care about getting their money back. They use agents from outside the USA that are scripted to follow a singular protocol. Worst business to deal with in my online history.

Original review: March 9, 2018

In my daily business I occasionally use PayPal for the convenience of one click. In January I mistakenly pushed on PayPal Credit. I didn't know there was a PayPal Credit and I had no reason to charge my $44 dollar purchase to their service. I was unaware that by pushing this button I opened an account with my PayPal credentials. So I'm clueless that there is this charge because I'm not opening the notices they send to a email account I don't use. I finally figure out that what I thought was unsolicited sales calls was this credit department trying to collect. Charge was made January 9 for $44.99 to date interest and late fees from an account I didn't know I had 73.99. I tried to resolve this matter and the best they could do is to credit back one late fee. I have been scammed.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a few items with PayPal credit. It appeared as a good way to get several items at one time. I went in my account to pay off the total balance of the purchases on my account in order to avoid paying interest fees. After totaling up the amount owed I found almost 300 dollars in my statement that was not attached to any charges. I called customer service to resolve the incorrect balance. They stated I was paying interest on purchases previously paid in full. How can a company charge interest on closed transactions. Nowhere in the terms or agreement did I sign to be charged recurring interest on paid balances.

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Information