PayPal Credit

formerly Bill Me Later

2.8/5 (1386 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit offers secure access to credit for online shoppers. It acts as a line of credit for any online purchases that accept PayPal. It offers credit access with no annual fees and no-interest financing for purchases above $99 in your first six months. PayPal Credit obscures your personal information when you purchase online and provides benefits like reimbursed shipping costs.

Pros

• No annual fee
  • No interest over $99 for six months
  • Widely accepted online

Cons

• Limited rewards
  • Unclear requirements

Bottom Line

PayPal Credit is a secure and convenient way to shop online. While its website doesn’t offer information about qualification requirements, the no-interest financing and no annual fees make it a popular credit option.

Top PayPal Credit Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Verified

I personally have only nice things to say about PayPal Credit. They were the first to give me a chance. My credit score was bad. But they gave me a small credit line, $250. That w...

Verified

I must uphold PayPal for it was PayPal… who granted me a credit line and that credit line would help the way for me to build a credit file. It was PayPal… who trusted in me when t...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

What is PayPal Credit?

PayPal Credit is a digital, reusable credit line that can be used to shop online. Known for offering customers the ability to “buy now, pay later,” PayPal helps customers budget in a straightforward way. Because it obscures all personal information when you shop, PayPal is widely considered to be more safe than using a traditional credit card.

How does PayPal Credit work?

With PayPal Credit, customers simply connect their bank account to their PayPal account for secure shopping. While shops must accept PayPal in order to get payment, it’s becoming more ubiquitous across the nation, with millions of stores already accepting it online.

PayPal also offers a few additional benefits when shopping online, like reimbursements for return shipping on certain purchases and purchase protection programs.

PayPal Credit card fee

PayPal Credit does not charge an annual fee for service. All purchases over $99 receive six months of no-interest financing. After six months, interest rates apply. For new accounts, the variable-purchase APR is 23.99% at the time of publishing. No interest will be charged if you buy and pay off your account within a month.

PayPal Credit FAQ

What credit score do you need for PayPal Credit?
PayPal does not indicate what credit score is required on its website.
Does PayPal Credit affect your credit score?
Yes. Because PayPal is considered a line of credit, your credit score will be impacted. Your credit will also be checked for approval.
How do I access my PayPal Credit account?
For management, you can access it via app or on the website. If you’re trying to pay for something using PayPal Credit, you will simply check out using PayPal (if applicable) and select PayPal Credit as your payment method.
Who qualifies for PayPal Credit?
PayPal doesn’t offer information about minimum requirements for approval.

Is PayPal Credit good?

PayPal Credit is a good option for people who have good credit and who shop online a lot. Because it doesn’t give you a credit card number, it won’t replace your credit card, but it provides additional benefits, like security and financing, for shopping online. Most will find that PayPal Credit is a good addition to their current financial situation, but it does require a credit check and will report to credit bureaus.

PayPal Credit Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit?

Original review: May 11, 2022

So I got a PayPal credit account solely for Pokemon cards because you never know if what you are getting online is legit or not and they state that any items that are counterfeit won't have to be paid for... All was well until I noticed that an order I purchased for $104 was all counterfeit cards, I opened a dispute and explained I have tried to resolve it with the seller and got no response.

The seller closes out the website and so it's no longer a working website and the dispute comes back in favor of the seller since he showed a order number and said it was an authorized transaction....Well no ** I authorized it but I never agreed to pay for counterfeit items (which is illegal btw) and so had to open another dispute just for them to try and say I'm disputing it being an authorized transaction....After many attempts I finally got them to list that it's a dispute about counterfeit items and now we wait just to most likely have them side with the merchant again...I will not be paying for it one way or another, if I have to contact a lawyer over $104 then so be it.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I recently was offered a PayPal Credit line of credit via my PayPal Dashboard. This line of credit comes from Synchrony Bank. My recommendation is don't even bother. Don't accept it, don't try it. There are plenty of other banks and ways to obtain a line of credit. It was a horrible experience, the customer service was horrible. I requested to close my account after having it less than two weeks because of errors Synchrony bank made that affected other accounts I have. Total nightmare and waste of time. Don't do it.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I was checking out and was using PAYPAL that I have had for over a decade. Never any problems. Then payment page says, “STOP, to sign up for PAYPAL CREDIT, you will get $20.00 off your first payment,”(or words to that effect). Sure, I signed up and then AFTER receiving the email confirming I had successfully signed, it was explained that it was a DIGITAL ACCOUNT! Payments to be made on their website. SO NOW WE’re GOING DIGITAL! OMG! The one thing most Americans don’t need! I tried to pay it off and found myself on the computer and the phone for over 3 hours trying to avoid that payment. 3 days later I found their 800 number and was able to pay it off using my bank account and....CANCELING THAT PSEUDO-DIGITAL COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

Within 10 minutes of installing this app I WAS HACKED. My primary email was changed to someone's email. I did not know. My email was listed as secondary. Had to close down my entire account...If I could rate it - to INFINITY I WOULD!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I will never recommend PayPal. If you're a business owner use other means. Had a customer send money through pay pal and the money was immediately deducted from their account. Pay pal says I'll get mine 10 days later.. Humm so you got paid but I can't for 10 days. Something seems a little fishy here. Maybe it's time for a audit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

This is not the first time I had problems with these crooks. I have been watching my PayPal credit for weeks and staying on top of my purchases and payments. I made a payment of $175.00, my balance was $391.00 after the one thing I purchased. At that time the purchases I made was $391.00. They took my payment of $175.00. The balance is now $391.00. I called them and I got a rude guy that I had a hard time understanding but I managed to listen to where my money went. After I keep telling him my statement say something different than what he was telling me then was yelling at me, I told him to stop yelling at me because he knew I was right so I told him, "You're wrong" and then he hung up on me so I called back, got another idiot, this time a woman. We went through the same thing and she started yelling. I said, "Let me talk to a supervisor." She said ok and hung up on me so bottom line, they robbed me of $175.00.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I recently accidently sent money to the wrong recipient by using my daughter's phone number. It was not sent to her but someone else. I noticed it immediately because the confirmation showed a different recipient. I immediately went on line to chat; got nowhere. Called within 1 minute of the transaction notification to explain what happened. Well they will take your money and send to someone else immediately. Takes 10 days to get it back and they want You to reach out to who They mistakenly sent your money. When I called she said "never use a phone number to send money because it can sometimes go to the wrong person". Took over a week to get my money back.

Also transferred money to my account. Was taken from my bank and sent; my online history showed it as a completed transaction. I called and was told Yes it was sent and received on the same day. I was told by the PayPal call center that they did not receive it yet and it takes 3-5 business days to process. Well how is it you can send my money to the wrong person Immediately and yet takes me 10 days to get it showing in my PayPal account? I will Never use PayPal to send money to anyone ever again!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

It took 5 months for Paypal Credit to resolve a dispute with Saks 5th Ave. Paypal credit kept denying the claim. Say the package had not been delivered. Even though I provided the Fedex tracking # that said it had been delivered. I sent in documents and emails from Saks that the product had been returned on 3/16/21. It wasn't until I called Saks, gave them Paypal's transaction #. Then Saks contacted pay pal credit and pay pal credit finally gave me the credit of $773.80. Pay pal credit kept denying the claim. At least 5 times.

What a joke. Closed my acct with pay pal credit on 8/21/21. The date the refund went thru. Also you have to ask to someone in the USA when you call Customer service. Never talked with anyone in disputes. They don't take calls. All I can say is I would not use pay pal credit if they were the last bank on earth. Even pay pal who is not associated with Pay pal credit said that the "customer is always right" and my receipt from Fedex with the tracking # should of been enough. Saks provided the return label with the purchase.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Interest and late sucks with PayPal Credit over the years **. These guys are sucking money even after paying minimum charges. DO NOT Take the PayPal or PayPal credit. Never see company get the money like this oh dam god!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Around March of 2021 I noticed an issue. PayPal credit payment did not clear my bank, I was paying before the due date so it was not late. Two days after the payment, PayPal credit informed me my payment was declined. I checked the account. Sufficient funds were there so I paid from a different account because that bank was NO LONGER listed in my PayPal banks listed as linked. In May 2021, I received an email that I was late on my payment, I could have sworn I made the payment. Two days later the money was taken out of my account. I had a late payment fee, two days later the same amount was taken out of my account again. The nice thing about PayPal is they will warn you if you already scheduled a payment, this time there was NOT a warning, it was like I never scheduled a payment.

July 16, 2021 I made my monthly payment. On July 29, 2021 I was informed my payment was rejected. I was also informed that since this was the 2nd returned payment this year they were closing my account. It was then listed in collections. A demand of $267.00 for a payment was made. I checked the account I paid on July 16th and the money was still there. I called PayPal to see what the problem was, I ended up talking to a foreign lady who could barely speak English, she assured me that my account was NOW current and would be reinstated. Her answer was wrong. Once closed it is closed for good.

I called Sunday to talk to a different person, Michelle explained to me I had two NSF payments this year and it was closed for good. Not a good thing to have listed on a Credit Report. Michelle said she was going to transfer me to a credit specialist to see if she could help me get things straightened out, because it should not have taken 13 days to notify me that my payment was rejected.

I got a very nice person, her name is Gerri. She started to look through my files and found the problem, the bank I was paying from was not officially linked to PayPal, and instead of a NSF payment, it was rejected because the bank was NOT linked properly. She fixed the NSF fee for July, and reinstated my account. PayPal had an issue starting the weekend I made my payment, the system was down for 8 days, this is why I was NOT notified of the banking issue. Great! "Ohhhh no. I just made a payment with the bank that was NOT properly linked, can we cancel the payment?" No, was her response. Now what? That one is going to fail too! She helped me get my bank linked to my account. Monday the money came out as it should.

Not so great. On Friday July 30th my credit report was released, on that report was the notification my PayPal was closed and placed into Collections. This little remark plunged my credit rating down. Thank you so much! It will take 15 to 30 days to get it fixed. All because a company had a software issue that caused all of this. I wonder how many other people were affected by this issue. I hope everyone who had this happen to them also get it resolved. I like PayPal, but this left a bad taste in my mouth.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
    www.billmelater.com