PayPal Credit

formerly Bill Me Later

3.9/5 (586 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About PayPal Credit

PayPal Credit offers secure access to credit for online shoppers. It acts as a line of credit for any online purchases that accept PayPal. It offers credit access with no annual fees and no-interest financing for purchases above $99 in your first six months. PayPal Credit obscures your personal information when you purchase online and provides benefits like reimbursed shipping costs.

Pros

• No annual fee
  • No interest over $99 for six months
  • Widely accepted online

Cons

• Limited rewards
  • Unclear requirements

Bottom Line

PayPal Credit is a secure and convenient way to shop online. While its website doesn’t offer information about qualification requirements, the no-interest financing and no annual fees make it a popular credit option.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PayPal Credit Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: March 23, 2022

I was checking out and was using PAYPAL that I have had for over a decade. Never any problems. Then payment page says, “STOP, to sign up for PAYPAL CREDIT, you will get $20.00 off your first payment,”(or words to that effect). Sure, I signed up and then AFTER receiving the email confirming I had successfully signed, it was explained that it was a DIGITAL ACCOUNT! Payments to be made on their website. SO NOW WE’re GOING DIGITAL! OMG! The one thing most Americans don’t need! I tried to pay it off and found myself on the computer and the phone for over 3 hours trying to avoid that payment. 3 days later I found their 800 number and was able to pay it off using my bank account and....CANCELING THAT PSEUDO-DIGITAL COMPANY!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

Within 10 minutes of installing this app I WAS HACKED. My primary email was changed to someone's email. I did not know. My email was listed as secondary. Had to close down my entire account...If I could rate it - to INFINITY I WOULD!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I will never recommend PayPal. If you're a business owner use other means. Had a customer send money through pay pal and the money was immediately deducted from their account. Pay pal says I'll get mine 10 days later.. Humm so you got paid but I can't for 10 days. Something seems a little fishy here. Maybe it's time for a audit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

This is not the first time I had problems with these crooks. I have been watching my PayPal credit for weeks and staying on top of my purchases and payments. I made a payment of $175.00, my balance was $391.00 after the one thing I purchased. At that time the purchases I made was $391.00. They took my payment of $175.00. The balance is now $391.00. I called them and I got a rude guy that I had a hard time understanding but I managed to listen to where my money went. After I keep telling him my statement say something different than what he was telling me then was yelling at me, I told him to stop yelling at me because he knew I was right so I told him, "You're wrong" and then he hung up on me so I called back, got another idiot, this time a woman. We went through the same thing and she started yelling. I said, "Let me talk to a supervisor." She said ok and hung up on me so bottom line, they robbed me of $175.00.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I recently accidently sent money to the wrong recipient by using my daughter's phone number. It was not sent to her but someone else. I noticed it immediately because the confirmation showed a different recipient. I immediately went on line to chat; got nowhere. Called within 1 minute of the transaction notification to explain what happened. Well they will take your money and send to someone else immediately. Takes 10 days to get it back and they want You to reach out to who They mistakenly sent your money. When I called she said "never use a phone number to send money because it can sometimes go to the wrong person". Took over a week to get my money back.

Also transferred money to my account. Was taken from my bank and sent; my online history showed it as a completed transaction. I called and was told Yes it was sent and received on the same day. I was told by the PayPal call center that they did not receive it yet and it takes 3-5 business days to process. Well how is it you can send my money to the wrong person Immediately and yet takes me 10 days to get it showing in my PayPal account? I will Never use PayPal to send money to anyone ever again!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

It took 5 months for Paypal Credit to resolve a dispute with Saks 5th Ave. Paypal credit kept denying the claim. Say the package had not been delivered. Even though I provided the Fedex tracking # that said it had been delivered. I sent in documents and emails from Saks that the product had been returned on 3/16/21. It wasn't until I called Saks, gave them Paypal's transaction #. Then Saks contacted pay pal credit and pay pal credit finally gave me the credit of $773.80. Pay pal credit kept denying the claim. At least 5 times.

What a joke. Closed my acct with pay pal credit on 8/21/21. The date the refund went thru. Also you have to ask to someone in the USA when you call Customer service. Never talked with anyone in disputes. They don't take calls. All I can say is I would not use pay pal credit if they were the last bank on earth. Even pay pal who is not associated with Pay pal credit said that the "customer is always right" and my receipt from Fedex with the tracking # should of been enough. Saks provided the return label with the purchase.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

Interest and late sucks with PayPal Credit over the years **. These guys are sucking money even after paying minimum charges. DO NOT Take the PayPal or PayPal credit. Never see company get the money like this oh dam god!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Around March of 2021 I noticed an issue. PayPal credit payment did not clear my bank, I was paying before the due date so it was not late. Two days after the payment, PayPal credit informed me my payment was declined. I checked the account. Sufficient funds were there so I paid from a different account because that bank was NO LONGER listed in my PayPal banks listed as linked. In May 2021, I received an email that I was late on my payment, I could have sworn I made the payment. Two days later the money was taken out of my account. I had a late payment fee, two days later the same amount was taken out of my account again. The nice thing about PayPal is they will warn you if you already scheduled a payment, this time there was NOT a warning, it was like I never scheduled a payment.

July 16, 2021 I made my monthly payment. On July 29, 2021 I was informed my payment was rejected. I was also informed that since this was the 2nd returned payment this year they were closing my account. It was then listed in collections. A demand of $267.00 for a payment was made. I checked the account I paid on July 16th and the money was still there. I called PayPal to see what the problem was, I ended up talking to a foreign lady who could barely speak English, she assured me that my account was NOW current and would be reinstated. Her answer was wrong. Once closed it is closed for good.

I called Sunday to talk to a different person, Michelle explained to me I had two NSF payments this year and it was closed for good. Not a good thing to have listed on a Credit Report. Michelle said she was going to transfer me to a credit specialist to see if she could help me get things straightened out, because it should not have taken 13 days to notify me that my payment was rejected.

I got a very nice person, her name is Gerri. She started to look through my files and found the problem, the bank I was paying from was not officially linked to PayPal, and instead of a NSF payment, it was rejected because the bank was NOT linked properly. She fixed the NSF fee for July, and reinstated my account. PayPal had an issue starting the weekend I made my payment, the system was down for 8 days, this is why I was NOT notified of the banking issue. Great! "Ohhhh no. I just made a payment with the bank that was NOT properly linked, can we cancel the payment?" No, was her response. Now what? That one is going to fail too! She helped me get my bank linked to my account. Monday the money came out as it should.

Not so great. On Friday July 30th my credit report was released, on that report was the notification my PayPal was closed and placed into Collections. This little remark plunged my credit rating down. Thank you so much! It will take 15 to 30 days to get it fixed. All because a company had a software issue that caused all of this. I wonder how many other people were affected by this issue. I hope everyone who had this happen to them also get it resolved. I like PayPal, but this left a bad taste in my mouth.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I use an invoicing service that switched to PayPal and had to set up an account. About 2 weeks later, a customer asked if I accept PayPal, I replied yes. That was on July 14th. The next day I looked and PayPal site said I would have to wait up to 20 days to get my money. On July 28th I called PayPal and spoke to a "supervisor" which after a long discussion of going nowhere and requiring more proof that I am a business, to them to give me my money and close my account. They then said they will hold my money until 1/2/22, or 180 days.

They then told me that within 24-72 hours that a manager would call me after I had asked for the legal department so I can know where to send the paperwork from the lawsuit I will file, which they never gave and hung up. On 7/30/21 I reluctantly uploaded the added information that they strong armed me into giving so that I just get the money that is owed to me. After doing so I get the same automated response of they cannot process my request. Next step small claims court.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Was searching for pellet smokers online, and came across Pitboss-USA.com and knew they made great smokers. There was a clearance sale going on of older models, and I purchased 2 of them. I used my Paypal account, which is tied to my Credit Card, thinking I had backing from Paypal if something went wrong. I was dead wrong on that idea! I never received any product from the company, but they did provide a FALSE tracking number, that even the Post Office says was NEVER delivered to my address.

I asked Paypal to refund my money, they just checked and said they saw a tracking number, so there are no repercussions. There are a couple problems with with - first and foremost, if there is a pitboss smoker being delivered in a mailbox, via USPS, instead of FedEx or UPS, that should send red flags. But secondly, when the USPS sent an email saying that tracking number was never associated with my address, and there was never anything delivered to my address from that company, that should indicate fraud. However, Paypal is so hard to be able to actually give your side of the story, they err on the side of the "merchant", and I use that word loosely, when more likely "FRAUDSTER" is the correct word. In a nutshell, DO NOT USE Paypal thinking you have some cushion when it comes to fraud. You most certainly WILL NOT! By the way, this is a scam site: **.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I bought a product from a merchant using PayPal Credit. I cancelled the product after changing my mind. The merch refuse to give my money back. Even though I showed proof no product paypal sided with merch.

Original review: June 21, 2021

Three years or more, I shared with everyone how great Paypal easy pay options were available to all. Then it began, charges to my account I did not make, late charges, collections...because I had not used the account I had not idea for months of the charges. Calling them and investigation, it was confirmed and charges removed but the late fees were not. Initially told I should have contacted them sooner! Ok but they were not my charges...so finally 2 months were removed while they could easily see there was a third month out there already charged but did not address. Each time, I asked that the account be closed. Initially, Not until the charges are resolved. I see why another bill with late charges...called again. Asked to cancel...would request removal but can not close until account is clear.

A year later requested the account be closed, was told they would research and if possible the request to close would be submitted. Guess what. It wasn't...how I find out...I start receiving all kinds of emails of huge charges. #1 the credit attached is expired and intentionally so. #2 I have not accessed the account or have anything associated with my emails and PayPal on any phones, computers so when I call...I ask how do they receive this info if they do not get it from your systems!!! Other than a phone call a year ago, I do not access and do not have any idea how to access the online account. I am tired of emails, text messages of urgent nature that I better get things worked out and now $1000s charged...or requested in my name...when last I knew it was going to be closed. Hopefully the last call today...

Requesting permanent closure and a credit remains on the account. So they delete the funds...I told her, "You better put it where you can get to it cuz if you contact me for some closure fee or late fee you had addressed until the post closure audit you are deleting your funds..." So I gave no permission to delete. Made sure of that on a recorded line. Now she is going to again request the cancelation after removing all the funds and didn't even ask or suggest to mail them to me. Huh?... 3 years and I can't wait to see what happens next! So after you get the our security canned statements ask how your info is being shared??? Who has access to PayPal systems???

Original review: June 8, 2021

I bought an item from Extreme Terrain and used my PayPal account to pay, my item came in broken so I returned it. Extreme Terrain won't refund my money now even though it was returned & verified by tracking number of the return, because I opened a dispute with PayPal. After I filed the dispute PayPal decided that the seller had proved delivery of the item and PayPal didn't even show me the seller's reply to it & ignored the fact that I returned the item with the return label THE SELLER PROVIDED ME!. Basically, PayPal recharged me for product I do not have. And like others have stated "Customers that were lied to about service and products are not PayPal's concern." Could not have said it better! Very sad & poor customer service.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Stay away from PayPal credit. They will keep bumping your credit up until you’re so deep it takes years to pay them off and they don’t ask you if you want an increase. They just give it to you a little at a time. It took me 7 years to pay them off. After I did I cancel the account. Credit score drop 35 points and they added a remark to make it worse. These people are predators and will take it advantage of people whatever they can.

Original review: April 19, 2021

This co. Has taken my $ hostage simply for using service more than I used to. It's been over 2 wks. Customer & auto services useless. Intrusive questions re: transactions. Forced to resubmit ID. Still not.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I usually use Paypal for making donations. I guess they have a new policy where they charge an interest fee immediately on the transaction PLUS a 10.00 transaction fee PLUS another interest charge. The total charges amounted to a 14.70 fee on my donation. I am closing my account. That's robbery. There are other sites that don't charge these fees.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have had a PayPal credit account for a few years. I have had a credit score above 750 for that time. I haven't had a late payment in over 4 years and can count on one hand the number of times I have made a late payment in my lifetime. Suddenly, my credit limit decreased today without warning, from $6,500 to $1,500. This is a considerable decrease for me and has lowered my FICO score. It is absolutely ridiculous that I should be punished for no reason, without warning, despite my fiscal responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

On November 11th I sold an inverter to a Kamoru ** from New York. He personally came to my house to pick up the item. He paid me through PayPal. On January 10th he put a claim into PayPal saying he never received his item. He came to pick it up. My account is over 500$ negative. I called PayPal, told them he picked it. He said he contacted me regarding the item and I never answered home of course he never contacted me because he has his item. He picked it up personally. Because I can’t produce proof that I shipped it they are going to give this guy back his money. He picked it up, so I wouldn’t have a shipping label. And because he put the claim in first PayPal don’t ask him for proof of contact. I have all text messages from him as proof he was here. PayPal don’t care. Going to file police report today.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

It's great that you can make interest free purchases through PayPal, but they do not make it easy to pay it off. You have to call customer service and speak to someone in India in order to allocate your payments to that particular purchase. You should be able to do that online without making a phone call to India.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

A couple of months ago I decided to open a PayPal Credit account, was told I would receive a bill and then forgot about it. Suddenly last week a couple days before the bill was due, I received an email. The only way to pay was with a checking account or debit account. I called and was told there was an extra charge to use my bank account so stupidly used my debit card. This was via a India-speaking call center. It was a long, drawn out conversation, where each set of numbers, a partial confirmation number was given. In between, various products were offered and even though I said I was not interested in buying anything, I was told to say OK and proceed. At the end the person hurriedly gave me the last nos of the confirmation and did it so fast that I did not get it and the call was disconnected.

The next day the bank where I have my debit card called reporting fraudulent purchases. They were small amounts but were recurring so the debit card was cancelled. Some people would probably never even notice the small amounts. Today I received an email about the PayPal Credit Account saying it was overdue. I checked my bank account and no money was ever withdrew to pay. I again spoke to an individual with a strong accent and "flipped out" until I was able to speak to someone at the bank itself (Synchrony Financial). The late fee was cancelled and I was told how I could pay the balance with a check through the mail. All I can say is shame on you Synchrony Financial! This is a scam, perhaps to obtain late fees, but know I no longer will use this and warn all Consumers about this! CONSUMERS BEWARE!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

To purchase paintings from Etsy, I opened a Paypal account a week ago. I successfully linked a bank account to it and opened a Paypal Credit Acct. However, when I checked out, I got the error 'The bank account can't be used', and my Paypal Credit did not show up as an option. It asked me to link to a credit card, which I refused to do due to the 2.9% fee. I kept trying, two days later, a checkout was successful by charging to my account (and that amount has been debited since). After that, the same error happens again for another purchase.

My husband opened a paypal account and linked to a different bank account successfully. He gets the same error on checking out (he does not have a Paypal Credit account). Yet Paypal has NO customer support. All we can do is sending them messages - by typing in a ONE-LINE slit. Most messages never received any response. All the responses we got were at least six hours late, and have nothing but apologies. One provided 'clearing browser cache' as the solution, which of course does not work. I NEVER worked with a company like this before. It simply ignores the customers. It's been for a week now and I still cannot purchase the paintings because the seller only accepts Paypal.

I am giving up on Etsy. I will NOT buy anything from any seller who does not accept credit cards. A 40-year veteran in the software industry I can tell you that my company treats the customers 100 times better than Paypal does. We have a problem management system which allows customers to open tickets, type in comments and read our responses. My customers can ask for phone calls, screen-sharing and even set deadlines for resolution. Yet Paypal, with no customer support, has millions of users and is a big business. Is this a trend? Does it mean companies will be like Paypal in the future? Imagine someday Fidelity, Ally Bank, Citibank, etc. provide the same kind of customer service as Paypal. I cringe.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I made purchases from Etsy and Sharper Image with the payments charged to PayPal. PayPal sent email confirming payments made to the vendors. I called my bank only to find out PayPal says assessments were made, triggered by Sharper Image being "unsafe" so all transactions were denied for a total of $230.38. PayPal then billed these charges to my bank's debit card account. The balance in the bank was not enough to cover these charges so now I have bills that have bounced because of insufficient funds. I feel I should not be penalized for unpaid charges and all other fees. May I add that I have a PayPal credit of $2,200.00 that I can use? After this issue is resolved, I'm cancelling PayPal!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

This is the worst credit care experience I have ever had in over 50 years of credit. After one late payment and NO notice then reported our account to the credit bureau. After explaining the situation to them they refused to amend the Credit Bureau Report, driving our credit score down by almost 100 points. After reading the other complaints on here I don't see how they can stay in business. They treat prime and super prime customers like sub-prime.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

I had a PayPal MasterCard for years and years! Since COVID-19 struck I have not been able to make any purchases and even before then I did not make a lot because I have been rebuilding my credit (from 10 yrs ago) and I am happy to say my credit status as of today is excellent standing, which it has been for some time but I just wanted to stress that for purposes of this review.

Regardless of my excellent credit worthiness as shown on my consumer credit report, and regardless of my excellent standing I have always had for years with PayPal Mastercard, I was finally able to use and NEEDED to use and rely on my Paypal Mastercard, And when I went to use it it was declined for the amount of $1300. To my shock I called Paypal to inquire what was going on. When I called Paypal to inquire, I was told by a supervisor, after requesting one, that PayPal can close anybody’s account whenever they want to, in essence. I was told because I had not used my card in a year they lowered my limit from $10,000 to $1500. I was stranded because of this, but the supervisor only helped me complete a cancellation of my PayPal MasterCard, which was done very easily with her help and encouragement.

When I asked the supervisor to direct me to the line in the contract that states if you don’t use your card in a year or more they will cancel it or drastically reduce your limit without you knowing, she told me it’s nowhere in the contract other than the clause that says they have the discretion to do what they want with your credit card at any time. Bye-bye PayPal. Good riddance!??? It is reasons like this that is your first indication a company is going belly up!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Why I love PayPal?

1. This company appears safe for buyers, as the site platform is both secure and encrypted. My opinion for the key data protection issue for buyers may be external to PayPal and they will need to have a secure digital connection to PayPal. So their data should be kept safe from prying eyes.

2. PayPal Payment Review is a free fraud-detection feature and notifies merchants using PayPal Checkout of potentially high risk payments. The company offering increased protection against processing and shipping fraudulent orders. Once a scammer has hacked into somebody else's PayPal account (as in the case of the phishing email scam), they can make purchases and send payments with the money from the account they have taken over... PayPal may reimburse the seller if they are able to confirm that the account that made the payment was hacked.

3. Using PayPal Payments is a very easy to receive and send money and all transactions are completed very fast.

4. PayPal Credit is fairly innocuous, but also pretty unnecessary. The best thing you get out of the line of credit is increased time to pay for larger purchases.

5. It is very important to know: PayPal Credit does report to the credit Bureaus and will affect your credit score. Late payments will be reported to Experian specifically.

6. I have a very good experience with PayPal credit for a purchasing eBay.

PayPal Credit is an unsecured line of credit that you apply for and can use online anywhere PayPal is accepted. Your credit line is linked to your PayPal account... Unlike PayPal's credit cards, PayPal Credit doesn't offer rewards. But it does offer some special payment deals, like longer interest-free terms.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

This organisation works closely with Dell Computer (featuring upon their web-site). After their failure to perform on a delivery, the order from Dell was cancelled - which Dell accepted. However, PayPal credit have clearly paid Dell, and continue to chase me for payment of monies re: product not supplied. PayPal Credit seem unable to understand that this is a triangular credit agreement - and they need to obtain a refund from Dell. Their credit control team uses an auto-dialler arrangement - which if you answer the call connects you with someone who hasn't read the file before speaking with you. When they do finally understand the situation - resolving matters is beyond the relevant operative's pay-grade so they simply are unable to do anything. REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

When I try to pay for a item using PayPal credit they return my payment. Even then charge me for a late payment. Then after charging me for a late payment they then get they go ahead receive the money from my bank. Had no problem. When when using Synchrony it is ok. The problem only occurs when using PayPal with synchrony bank.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

PayPal Credit and all the Synchrony major credit cards and retail cards is a scam. Every two years they have eliminated all my cards, in total over 40 cards. My Fico score is always 720+, will be 823 in 30 days. Recommend applying for Major credit card like Discover, or American Express. Pandemic has made this worse. PayPal Credit approved me for 2600 and next day closed my account for no reason. Same credit score. Nothing changed. Ran 3 reports. What a waste.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

Payments posted later than actual payment and then PayPal charges fees and additional interest. You cannot pay down a higher balance due to the fees and interest. It seems fraudulent and as if PayPal is taking financial advantage of their consumers. You would think a pandemic would make this company want to be better!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I made a payment in September. Instead of PayPal MasterCard they applied the entrapment to my PayPal Credit account. The day after my payment was due they started harassing me. I submitted a payment for 10/15/2020 and they still harass me. When my balances reach zero I will close all Synchrony accounts (Lowe's, PayPal, PayPal MasterCard, Amazon store card.) I always made at least the minimum and in many cases more than the minimum.

PayPal Credit Company Information

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)
www.billmelater.com