1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

502 PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 10, 2018

Refused for no reason, when I phoned them they just said, "We don't know why." My question is, "What the hell you do there when you don't know the answer." Just don't put the phone number for customer services. This company going down soon as the customer services is so poor. I never had any bad credit and first time I was refused for no reason. FFS Paypal, it's a joke.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Do not EVER use PayPal Credit. You've been warned!!! This is the worst company available online. If you have an issue with them, or one of their creditors, they ONLY care about getting their money back. Even if you supply 100% legitimate information like I supplied, they will find in the favor of the creditor. They do NOT care about you at ALL. It's like being a cow in a slaughterhouse. Eventually they'll force you to be quiet and take everything from you, because they do not care about you. ONLY thing they care about getting their money back. They use agents from outside the USA that are scripted to follow a singular protocol. Worst business to deal with in my online history.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 9, 2018

In my daily business I occasionally use PayPal for the convenience of one click. In January I mistakenly pushed on PayPal Credit. I didn't know there was a PayPal Credit and I had no reason to charge my $44 dollar purchase to their service. I was unaware that by pushing this button I opened an account with my PayPal credentials. So I'm clueless that there is this charge because I'm not opening the notices they send to a email account I don't use. I finally figure out that what I thought was unsolicited sales calls was this credit department trying to collect. Charge was made January 9 for $44.99 to date interest and late fees from an account I didn't know I had 73.99. I tried to resolve this matter and the best they could do is to credit back one late fee. I have been scammed.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I purchased a few items with PayPal credit. It appeared as a good way to get several items at one time. I went in my account to pay off the total balance of the purchases on my account in order to avoid paying interest fees. After totaling up the amount owed I found almost 300 dollars in my statement that was not attached to any charges. I called customer service to resolve the incorrect balance. They stated I was paying interest on purchases previously paid in full. How can a company charge interest on closed transactions. Nowhere in the terms or agreement did I sign to be charged recurring interest on paid balances.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I must uphold PayPal for it was PayPal the one who granted me a credit line and that credit line would help the way for me to build a credit file. It was PayPal the one who trusted in me when the others failed me and they would reject me under their ridiculous excuses that there was not enough credit history in my file.

Credit means that creditors have granted financial resources to an individual that does not belong to him/her. However, the individual would pay back those financial resources in a timely manner but how can an individual build his/her credit file if that individual is never given an opportunity. I did have a reputable title and the means to be sustainable to pay back a granted credit. However, Some of those who rejected me, were well-known companies who announce themselves as benevolent but their decisions show that they are incompetent or bias and I should hold them accountable for their mistakes.

However, I will not do it since I am not cut off by the same bread as those companies. On the other hand I am to recommend PayPal credit and the reason is not just because PayPal credit was the only one who entrusted me with credit but also because PayPal credit is convenient and an individual is even able to pre-order and set up pick up and instructions with the places that PayPal is contracted with and another great feature is that PayPal credit allows individuals to send money through PayPal credit.

Also, customer services representatives are available and they are helpful and I know that out there a lot of people have negative opinions about the PayPal credit but those opinions formed from the fact that some people either do not trust PayPal or do not understand how PayPal works and that is one of my reasons for submitting my review about PayPal credit line - To debunk those fictional opinions that people have formed and which are based on myths without substance and also another reason for submitting this review is to honor PayPal who acted in the right way and also in an impartial way when it made the decision to grant me its credit line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later)?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

You find out about the "late fee" and how much it is AFTER it's applied. No warning to new users, but now I know, they will never get me again. If you make single purchases, pay off the balance, it's fine. The account summary calculates a monthly payment. The confusion sets in when you make 2-3 purchases. If you follow the monthly payment request, it leaves you short, and subject to their interest rates they tack on each month on the account balance. Solution: do your own math, break down the cost of EACH item to be paid in 6 months, make the payment a FEW days before the deadline, because they do not take into consideration processing time, weekends, holidays --basically it has to actually post to your account to avoid late fees (25+ dollars) and interest fees, EACH time.

They got me only once because I had made extra payments, and had not paid attention to their monthly due date. I was ahead of my payments, but it does not matter. Interest + late fee will be charged and added to your bill. So that's like 25+19.99% interest on your balance added with EVERY late fee. Be careful with these predatory lenders.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This company/service rips people off! PayPal Credit accepted my money orders to make payments on my account but they charged me late fees for not getting my payment in on time. My payments arrived at PayPal's post office box just in the nick of time. Each payment was sent either certified mail (which required a signature from the post office) or went FedEx. Unfortunately, PayPal wasn't required to pick it up in time to post it before the due day. It should be posted according to the postmark, not an individual worker's opinion.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

PayPal allowed a transaction that was not authorized by me to post to my account and denied my case. They have also denied two appeals since. The item was purchased online and shipped to an address other than the one verified on my account. They refuse to do a proper investigation and remove this charge from my account.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Generally, I have had no issues with PayPal credit. I've used them for years to pay off large purchases over 6 months with no interest (and before when it was Bill Me Later). Anyone who uses credit needs to read the terms of the credit line and how payment amounts are determined and applied to balances and if you don't like that policy, then don't use it. Items returned have always been credited properly within 30 days. The only issue I have had was how "the minimum amount due to avoid interest charges" was calculated. In general, you should only have to pay any standard purchases plus any promotional balances due to avoid interest each month.

However, they apply payments to promotions due the following month with each payment before they apply any payments to the standard balance. Therefore, the standard balance can continue to grow until you have 2 months with no promotional balances due thus making your minimum due to avoid interest higher than it should be. The application of payment amounts actually describes it this way on their website. Overall, it all works out in the end and I never pay any interest, just sometimes I have to pay more than expected which goes against their "no payments for 6 months" statement. Key to using Paypal credit... ALWAYS PAY "THE MINIMUM AMOUNT TO AVOID INTEREST" AMOUNT EACH AND EVERY MONTH... You may need to actually look at the full statement (paper or .pdf version) to find this amount.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

The complaint started with LovelyWholesale. I ordered some merchandise from them and they did not send it to me. I tried to make them put the funds back on my PayPal account and they refused to do so. I called up PayPal and explained to them what happened. Instead, of them listening to me they took sides against me for LovelyWholesale telling them lies that they sent me those item to me and they did not. Because I kept e-mailing them about the items and I told them not to send those items to the wrong address. They did it anyway and started playing games with me. Such as asking me was the wrong address, was the right address and I had already told them not to send the item to wrong address. They were playing games with me.

I put both payments in the same envelope. Instead, of PayPal credit refunding my money to me the $21.34 and did not add the $80 to my account that I was paying them. They added the $21.34 to my account and did not add the $80. They kept my money and they could see that there were 2 different account numbers on them. And one of those account numbers did not belong to them. The money order was made out to PayPal master card. But, this is their way of trying to get even with me.

I have the copies of both of those money orders and I can prove it to you that I have them. I am asking for your support to help me resolve this issue. PayPal Credit have been picking at me ever since I filed a complaint with LovelyWholesale and with them and I believe that, they are working together with their scams. People find all kind of ways to get your money. I sent them those 2 payments on January 3rd. I have never experienced a problem with PayPal like this before and I have been a good customer to them.

My belief is that I am working with different people since I moved to this location. These are some very unkind people and the reason why I am saying this is because I can detect the way they talk that, they are working on LovelyWholesale side against me and LovelyWholesale is lying to them about they shipped those items to me and they know they didn't ship them to me. I even told them not to ship those item to the wrong address. They have my new address listed in their system and have shipped an order here at my new address before.

PayPal are not trying to help me get a refund back from them They are just denying me pretending that they opened a case and I don't believe it. They are working on LovelyWholesale side. Every time I kept e-mailing them about my orders. They will respond back to me with a few short words. They will tell me "Have a nice day." I called up USPS and they told me that those items went back to China. Please help me resolve this issue PayPal credit are the ones that involved themselves in this complaint because they should have listened to me instead, of listening them lying.

Now, that PayPal have beef at me for their own wrongdoings. I suggest that, they save it because they might need it for dinner. I don't appreciate it when people are doing me wrong and I'm trying to do them right by being a good customer of theirs and paying my bills to them promptly. I need your help and please respond back to me because I need somebody's help to help me resolve this issue. You have my best regards. Thank you and god bless.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I had a horrible experience with PayPal Credit. This is not really a credit line that they falsely claim to offer. They want you to list both your bank account and your credit card information before you make any PayPal credit purchases. This is a complete farce. I have made several phone calls and sent emails and every department kept pointing fingers to another department. It was a nightmare! They offer a credit limit which is not true. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I ordered a HP Laptop on their PayPal Credit. Bad mistake. They insist I received it. The laptop was refused when FedEx delivered. I have actual proof from FedEx that it was returned. I talked to their dispute person and wanted to mail them proof, and time to time return route all the way to Tennessee. I asked for PayPal's mailing address so I could send them proof. They would not give me an address. They said they "look into it". I will not pay for something I never touched.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My issue was a return to the clothing company Liligal. Liligal is a scam in itself: it does not give an address to send returns to. When I first made the claim with PayPal Credit, they gave me a temporary credit, but that was rescinded when Liligal reported that they had not received the item back. PayPal Credit was able to help me with an address and advised me to return the item and have the package tracked. That's what I did. Since then I've been calling PayPal Credit every week for an update. I've spent many hours on the phone with them, always starting from scratch. Finally today they said that they denied the appeal because "a dispute cannot be reopened once it is closed". PayPal Credit has given me the runaround for several months! Will avoid PayPal Credit in the future and NEVER order from Liligal!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

PAYPAL WARNING. I have a credit account that I use the 6 months to pay option pretty frequently. I pay it off and never pay interest so it has worked well so far. On December 18th, I made a purchase using that option. I had over $2000 available so there was no reason for it to be a problem as it was only about $400. On December 19th, Paypal did a security decline with no explanation on the account and took every penny from my bank account. There was no warning at checkout that the items had been declined through Paypal credit so it appeared everything went through as usual. I was none the wiser until today (12/20) when I saw the transactions had hit my account yesterday.

I called Paypal and there is nothing they can do. I escalated to supervisor after supervisor (and had to re-explain time after time until I got the last one who was condescending) nm and the only thing they will do from here is allow me to submit a complaint in writing. Even then, they could not tell me what the issue was or whether or not they would fix it.

The reason I'm writing this is that there was NO WARNING. There was no opportunity for me to decline having the money taken from checking. There was no chance for me to change my mind. It did not give me any alert that it had been declined. It appeared to go through with no issue and then my checking was hit. And because I'd used several vendors, it was multiple transactions so if I'd had a lower balance in my checking account, it would have caused multiple overdrafts. I am fortunate because it was definitely unexpected right before Christmas.

The representative said an email is sent within 24 to 48 hours. Mind you, the money is already gone from my account and all packages have already been shipped so that email will be pretty late if I ever get it. Even though I have paypal and paypal credit in my safe email list, I checked my spam folders, my junk mail, and even my backup email accounts and, as of this writing, I have received no email.

I am warning everyone because $400 in about 7 or 8 transactions is a pretty good hit out of my checking account right before Christmas. If we had been living paycheck to paycheck like we did when we were younger, this could have been far worse for us. I don't want this to happen to someone else so this is strictly for warning.

Resolution response: Dec. 18, 2017

I have now received notice from Paypal Credit that both of the amounts in dispute will be refunded. I appreciate hearing from them. Although, I do feel they need some help with their website and responses to messages sent to them on their site.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I purchased an item and paid thru Paypal Credit. Never got the item and have tried to work with Paypal Credit but they are of NO HELP. I wish I had used another credit card that would work with me. I email, I called, no responses, no help. Will never use Paypal Credit again once I get this problem solved.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have been using PayPal Credit for several years. I have never had any problems with being credited for returns or any other issues. They are wonderful in stores or online. They are accurate and helpful. The customer service team is awesome. I have no complaints at all.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I elected to use the PayPal credit for a furniture purchase. I went through all the steps correctly and completely. I figured if I could get 6 months to pay interest free then why not? All of a sudden, PayPal made TWO electronic funds transfers out of my account. Two! For over two grand. When I called the representative told me there was nothing they could do. Huh? I called my bank and stopped the payment. Never ever using this again. I'm going go pay it off then let it go.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When it use to be Bill Me Later I used it all the time without any problems. Ever since it has became Paypal Credit it's a total joke. I've not found anywhere that will accept it. The other day they emailed me congratulations we've increased your credit limit by $1,500. Big deal, they could of raised it $150,000 and it's meaningless because it can't be used so it's all a big waste of time. I'm paying off the last of the balance from when it was Bill Me Later. I can't ever get on their site and they don't send a statement.

The only way I've been able to pay is through their 800 number. Is that ever a big cluster **! It takes 15 minutes of listening to the stupid prompts to finally give them some money. The whole thing is a total joke. I'll have them paid off soon then I will totally forget they exist. If you receive any offers from them throw it in the trash or block it from coming into your email. Look at what all the reviews say the same thing. Wish I could give them zero stars and even that would be too high!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

HORRIBLE! Sold something on eBay as a top rated seller with over 10,000 items sold all of which went through Paypal and on one random transaction they decide to hold over a hundred bucks of MY MONEY! Then I have to try to call them to get them to release my money... Can't get through to anyone. Tried the callback deal. What a joke! Over 2 hours later phone rings, says it's from Paypal and then nobody is there.

Next I go back to calling them in and the automated attendant sends me to the credit department who then says she will do a "warm transfer" Pffft and stay with me until someone comes on the line. Nobody ever picks up and she's gone. Third attempt, hold for 40 minutes and actually get a human being of course from India that speak no English who says she will take care of the issue... Please hold. Comes back and hangs up on me. Fourth try to get my money, only 1 hour later to actually get a person on the phone and this one actually took care of the issue. TOTAL BS the level of customer service there now. Here's an idea... HIRE PEOPLE to answer the phones! DUH.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

PayPal Credit needs to be shut down. I have returned several items and should have been credited back to the account and they never have credited the items back to me. I have fought and fought till I am blue in the face. The representatives are no help whatsoever! You are forced to pay for something that you have returned and cannot get through to anyone to resolve any problems. Then of course if you do not pay, you get late fees, excessive interest and numerous calls. I cannot believe that this company is allowed to stay in business and no one does anything about their shady practices. The next step is to file a lawsuit against them. They even harass you when you just sustained a devastating Category 4 Hurricane. They have no sympathy of the fact that you have not worked for weeks, been without power, and your home has been destroyed. Filing for bankruptcy is a better option than dealing with these crooks/morons.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I recently had an experience where a customer lied and said was in Canada and was actually in Niagra Falls, NY where the item was shipped to. She waited to the final day of returns and claimed the item was defective. Her name was Susan ** from NY. I responded by approving it although I knew there was nothing wrong with the item. I could resell later. She made a claim afterwards with Paypal, claiming she was in Canada and wanted a refund and didn't want to pay for the shipping, a scam obviously, and wanted me to pay for return postage from Canada, and I refused. I have reported this several times, and nothing has been done.

Paypal later gave her a refund, and let her keep the item. The return label was never used, and the item not returned, yet they will not refund me for the label that cost me money. That my friends this is the new policy of Paypal and eBay, there is no seller protection. This person went on to give the worse negative feedback because I questioned her and called her on the emails she sent, which clearly showed she was lying from the very beginning about her location.

EBay and PayPal have done absolutely nothing about it. I am being treated like the bad guy, even though I followed their policies to the letter. There is no way to contact eBay, and PayPal will soon follow suit. I had to ask her several times to discontinue harassing me, which she continued to do even after she received the refund and kept the item, and they did absolutely nothing about that either. EBay owns PayPal, so beware, they are one big conglomerate. IT IS VERY SAD TO ME THAT THEY ARE VERY HARD TO REACH ON THE PHONE, A WAIT OF SOMETIMES AN HOUR AND A HALF. Then they ask if they can call you back, it took me over a day to connect with them once! Customer service can use some servicing!

It is inconceivable to me that a company who clearly had access to email transmissions, did not access them and see that she gave three different stories. They still gave her the refund and allowed her to keep the item, and charged me for return shipping at that. The item was never returned, yet I still had to pay for it. My next step is contacting the Attorney General's office.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Suspected fraud within the company - Even the company is baffled. To close the account... the ONE personal account allowed per person, I was told to pay total amount owed. I paid total amount owed. Then, started getting bills from PayPal. Called PayPal about it and in checking, they said I had TWO accounts and needed to pay the second one too. (I've never had a business or business account.) So I will be a PayPal customer for life I guess because they will NEVER close my account, even though I've BEGGED them to. Kind of like the Hotel California. You can check in but never leave. Whoever has made an account in my name will be the one who pays it though. And no, no one is here to forge my account. PayPal is too big to fight, I know that. I'm an elderly woman and just want PayPal to leave me alone.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I always used PayPal with no issues and I don't have to worrying about paying the bill because it is linked to my bank account. With my last purchase, I used PayPal but somehow charged PayPal credit. Then suddenly received a late payment notice for past 3 months. I called Paypal Credit, and the customer service basically trying to push all faults on me and keep on asking me how I am going to pay for it. I had enough with this, and paid it off because it wasn't that high. I also told him to close all my accounts because I will not going to be using them ever again, and I will be informing my friends about this ridiculous crap. I use multiple credit cards and I never had this issue in my life.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I've used PayPal for years, and I've never been so dis-pleased. You offered me a line of credit I can't use anywhere, and all you guys do is blame me for not being able to use it. According to what everyone else says, your credit plan sucks. Same problems! I will NOT be recommending you guys to anyone else again. This is ridiculous, and I know what you're doing. You're getting people hyped about your website, yet you fail to deliver. BAD promotional salesmanship! I no longer like you PayPal!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I started off w/ a $250 Credit line... I was so excited I didn't even know what I was doing & ordered a $700 e-Bike from Florida... A whole weekend of crazy happenings trying to get the order cancelled before it shipped... Finally on Monday Morning I talked to the vendor. It was cancelled. Thank God my bank @ that time didn't have but $1 charges for each bank swipe/attempt...!!

Now that I read thoroughly all of PayPal Credits in & outs I have successfully ordered many different & totally useful items & paid them off w/ 0 % interest... I would say looking @ the huge amount of 1 star reviews A LOT of scammers & a lot of people who have no idea the rules & regulations that are very very strict yet rewarding... If it's your error & you're too ignorant to understand why Don't get upset & write a bad review...!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Horrible service! This company assessed 2 $35 charges on my account for 2 separate months when I had a credit applied to the account and it showed that I had no minimum payment due! The customer service team and management refused to issue me a credit for the fees assessed. They are extremely unwilling to bend to keep a long standing customer. I closed the account over the phone with the manager. I will be definitely telling my friends to not use them!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

A transaction on my credit account triggered security and therefore did not go through. When I called in to see what the problem was, I answered a number of security questions to prove that I indeed was the account holder. I was told the transaction would now go through. It did not. I called back again and was told that due to the trigger, I would not be able to complete the transaction, and I could not be told when my credit would be available again. This put me in a terrible position since I was already in possession of the item, based on being told I could now complete the transaction, and now had no way of delivering the funds. When I spoke to a supervisor I was told there is no way to override the security trigger. This is unacceptable. To not have a solution to this problem is lazy and shows little effort to consider the customer's situation.

The one solution I was given was that I could cancel the transaction. Cancel the transaction on an item I had been searching for 6 months, and drove 3 hours to get? Not to mention the security trigger was due to my lack of PayPal credit history. I have "Excellent" credit. My credit history is exactly what was checked prior to giving me the account. Why do you need your own set of data to determine if you can loan me money? Like I'm going to blow two decades of building credit for $3k on a PayPal account. I don't know how I could ever use PayPal credit in the future or recommend it to anyone else, especially when there are so many other outlets available now. Not only do I not understand why a resolution could not be reached, but this entire situation made my life unnecessarily much more complicated in the short-term.

Original review: July 30, 2017

This is a huge scam and something needs to be done. I tried to purchase items and had to call their customer service account 4 times. One Rep hung up and couldnt explain if I was approved for $2500. Why couldnt I use this "card" all Reps said we have to build a relationship. After finally speaking with someone in the USA I canceled the account! This is a complete SCAM!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

This doesn't even deserve 1 star! I have been on the phone with them every day because I have been approved with PayPal Credit, after going through all the security and finally getting my credit line released. They told me I can now start using it. Now I have been trying to purchase off of my credit line and it will not let me. Everything I try declines. From $5 to more expensive. They said add a bank account. Did that still nothing! They said add a debit card. Did that still nothing! Now I have to find a different way to purchase my merchandise. I would have not applied for credit if I had the whole amount in my account! This is ridiculous. PayPal Credit workers are amazing but PayPal staff that you have to deal with for customer service is horrible and NO help.

Original review: July 5, 2017

After more than 8 years with this bank off, and on, I reopened an account under Paypal Credit. During any promotional purchase which is billed with interest after 6 months - to 2 years; just say if the item you purchase is returned, Comenity Bank does not refund your money, it stays on your account as promotion; which means you still pay the interest even though you don't have that item anymore. Isn't that illegal?

Another consumer unknowing travesty they commit is once you setup your Paypal account they do not allow you to change your payment date at all. Not even to change it from the first of the month to the middle for the necessity to those who get a paycheck once a month from their jobs.Therefore if you think you will start an account with Paypal Credit then change the date you are to pay them - don't get involved. Stay away. I sell quite a bit online, and I purchase online therefore PP line of credit is convenient for most transactions. However this bank is doing some shady stuff; believe me!

PayPal Credit (formerly Bill Me Later) Company Information