American Express Travelers Cheques

178people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with American Express Travelers Cheques:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

A month ago I reported my Amex cheques as lost. After jumping through dozens of hoops and playing 40-questions over the phone (always during meals or when I was heading out the door), they sent me a form stating they might replace them...but only if 1) I agreed that I violated their terms (excuse me?), 2) that I acknowledged they were unable to put a stop on them being negotiated (say what?), and that, if someone were to cash them in the future, I would have to reimburse them for the amount! INCONCEIVABLE! So, all those promises they use in their TV advertisements are all lies? I wish the Attorney General's office would look into their business practices (maybe a different AG.... the current one apparently is mostly interested in benefiting from letting Hitlery off the hook... Anyway, I digress, mostly because their crooked behavior is so similar).

I had purchased $6000.00 in Travelers checks at my bank JP Morgan Chase Bank and I had lost three books worth $3000.00. I reported them as required and at the time they checked if they had been used cashed and they had not been cashed. Since then they had been cashed and my claims rep in the Philippines and with supervisors in India I have had a big problem and my claim denied, therefore I have lost three thousand dollars. I contact the supervisor located in India and was told that I never reported all the claim amount of three thousand dollars of travelers checks. I have asked for a corporate office with no one trying to help me.

American express must not be American any more. Change ther name to India or Phillipines Express cheques, and then Americans will not purchase them and be safe. Do not buy a product without knowing whether you will be dealing with an American.

I naively bought American Express Euro Traveler Cheques in 2001 as I frequently travel within the eurozone. I believed that these would last for a long time and give me the flexibility I desired. I intended that these would be used for spontaneous purchases and small value items to avoid using my credit card and the charges it generates. How wrong could I be. Several major banks in Dublin declined to accept American Express cheques despite me banking with them, while many more said that they could not accommodate and I would have to make an appointment to prove my address, etc. in order to access my OWN money.

If only the bankers had been subject to one tenth of the scrutiny, we might no longer be reading/writing this blog. In summary, I simply can't see the point of travelers cheques in the post-2014 world. They seem just to be another way that institutions misappropriates your hard-earned cash. Require a 21-day redemption period.

Since 2003 I've been working with AmEx Travellers Cheques Refunds Department and I do know for a fact that many agents there defer a Claim just because they do not like a certain customer. They also use a System called RAS or Recommendation Assessment System. Based on 1st recommendation a Claim will be deferred or approved. If you lost cheques worth of 2000USD or more, the Claim will be initially deferred for verification. If you buy cheques & lost them within three days, the System will recommend for a deferral too. For more specified questions you can E-Mail me at **.

I originally faxed my claim for $1,000 on August 18, 2014. Even though the fax went through and I have a verification report of transmission, I later called back 6 weeks later and AMEX claims said they had no record of it. So, I filed a claim over the phone. I then called back 6 weeks later, they tell me it take 60 days, and 60 days is the 29th of November 2014.

I call back again to check the status of the claim, they say check back. I call today 12/18/2014. They tell me they will have to call me back. I had a claim with Citibank for Travelers checks - I had payment in one week. I have been a long time AMEX customer, since 1976. Their claims department must make money for not honoring claims! Beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

I have 2000 euros in American Express travelers cheques left over from a trip to Europe. Back in Costa Rica is impossible to cash them. After going to many Banks and get rejected, I filed a complaint and send it with the purchase receipt to American Express in Salt Lake City. They call me back and were unable to help me cash the cheques, ask me to mail the cheques to them, to see what they can do about it. I feel deceived, because when you purchase the cheques, they say you will be able to cash the ones left over when you return. In my case not even BAC San Jose the one bank who sold me the cheques wants them. I will follow their procedure and like in the middle ages send the cheques by courier and hope to get my money someday.

American Express FEES of 3 pounds in UK. no one accepts them now - Wow, life have change. Bought 2 of 100 pound checks, worth of 370 USD and went to France. They look at it like trash, or Toilet paper. At least 5 hotels, and 7 shops where tourist would frequently go such as Morgan, and H and M. Totally useless, and will wait to go back to stateside and deposit into my personal acct. It's been 13 years since last time travel to Europe. Totally different world after the US and European financial Crisis. Now everything is SCAM. Will only carry cash from now on.

After buying $125,000 worth of American Express travelers checks over the past 15 years, I can now say, unequivocally, that I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AMEX TRAVELERS CHECK! I have lived and worked in Korea for 15 years. When I first came to Korea in 1996, I learned quickly how expensive it is to send money to the US via wire transfer. After my first and only wire transfer, I decided that the cheapest way to send money back to the US would be to buy some AMEX travelers checks (TCs) and mail them to my bank in the US. The mail from Korea to the US only takes about 10 days or so, and that was not a significant delay. From 1996 to 2012, I purchased approximately $125,000 in American Express TCs and rarely had a problem.

The procedure was simple: I bought AMEX TCs, signed them on both lines, and made them payable to myself. Then I signed on the back and marked the checks for deposit only, with my checking account number below my signature. There is absolutely no way that any other person could cash these checks. I violated no rules stated on the purchase agreement that I received. The purchase agreement did state that I must sign the check on the top line immediately upon purchase and, later, on the bottom line in the presence of the person accepting the check. Since I was both the check purchaser and acceptor, I was, of course, signing in my own presence. Sending TCs through the mail system is no less reliable than carrying them in a backpack or purse. AMEX itself offers delivery of UNSIGNED TCs (!) by common carrier to Bank of America customers. In any case, mailing a TC does not violate any requirements of the purchase agreement.

I never worried much about losing a TC for the following reasons:

1st ASSUMPTION: I thought my money was safe in the form of AMEX TCs. After all, AMEX states in its ads: Your money is always safe with Travelers Checks. American Express Travelers Checks are safer than cash. If they are ever lost or stolen, the funds may be refunded (Americanexpress.com). I remember seeing Karl Malden advertising AMEX TCs for years in TV ads, and he always said the same thing, adding, "Don't leave home without them!"

2nd ASSUMPTION: I also knew that AMEX has offices in every major city around the world. Of course, AMEX has an office in Seoul, where I live, so I had nothing to worry about as far as ease of obtaining a refund is concerned. AMEX tells its TC customers: Refunds are available at American Express Travel Services Offices and partner locations around the world (Americanexpress.com)

3rd ASSUMPTION: I also thought that the refund for a lost/stolen TC would be swift and the paperwork involved would be minimal, and I assumed that you would have to supply the information only once to get your refund. AMEX states that, to get a refund, You give Issuer or Amexco all reasonable information and help requested to make a complete investigation of the loss or theft (travelers check purchase agreement).

4th ASSUMPTION: I thought that the guarantee of AMEX to replace a lost or stolen TC was valid until the check was actually cashed. If the TC is lost or stolen at any point before it is cashed, then AMEX will replace it. Let's say, for example, that I have an AMEX travelers check in the amount of $500 that I make payable to my wife and countersign. She endorses the check and marks it for deposit only with her bank account number on the back. She walks out of the house and goes to the bank to deposit it into her account. Along the way, she is robbed of her purse and the check, or she is injured, losing control of the check, which blows away in the wind. I would assume that AMEX's guarantee to replace lost/stolen TCs would apply. Wouldn't any logical person think so? Wouldn't you be shocked if AMEX told you that, under the conditions that I just described, they have no legal obligation to issue a refund?

5th ASSUMPTION: Finally, it seemed apparent that there could only be one valid purchase agreement between AMEX and me: the purchase agreement that I received at the Korean bank where I bought the TCs. Every time I bought a TC, I was given a purchase agreement. That agreement constituted the only legal contract between AMEX and me, as far as I was concerned. For any company to attempt to make material changes to a contract without the consent of the other party is both unethical and illegal.

In due time, I was to discover that all five of my assumptions detailed above were completely false. In early 2013, I had some bad luck, and TCs of mine totaling US$700 in value were lost. When I filed a claim for the $700, I had a rude awakening as to the true and devious nature of American Express. Here is the reality with respect to my assumptions:

(#1) Your money is NOT safe with travelers checks. Indeed, AMEX claims that they have no legal obligation to refund lost travelers checks if they were lost in what AMEX calls a negotiated state, that is, signed on both lines and made payable to someone but lost and not negotiated.

(#2) AMEX claims that you can get refunds at American Express Travel Services Offices and partner locations around the world. The reality is that I had to send my claim forms to India at my own expense, costing me $10 and causing more delay, in spite of that fact that AMEX has offices here in Seoul where I live. AMEX refused to give me the address of their Seoul office. It took five months to get a refund!

(#3) It is logical to supply all reasonable information. However, after I filed my claim over the phone, which is what AMEX required, they still forced me to fill out additional documents later that said the same thing as the information that I had already given over the phone. They also required me to make photocopies of my passport, driver's license, and alien registration card in Korea. It appeared that they were deliberately delaying and making unnecessary and unreasonable demands for information that I had already given. The claim form was even supposed to be notarized. I told AMEX that the only place I could get the form notarized was at the US Embassy, and they charge $50 for notarization. I chose to get a co-worker to witness my signature instead.

(#4) After I filed my claim (in a 20-minute phone conversation), I was contacted by an AMEX representative from India. She only identified herself as Donna and never used a family name in calling or in emails. She spoke to me in a tone of voice that sounded like an old fashioned schoolmarm from the 1930s who was scolding a naughty boy who had lost his homework. She told me that I had violated the AMEX agreement, and AMEX was not obligated to issue me a refund. However, they would issue a refund if I signed documents admitting that I violated the purchase agreement and stating that I would not take them to court. The required document stated, "I acknowledge I have failed to comply with the terms and conditions of the Travelers Cheque Purchase Agreement...I sign to confirm and understand that I am not entitled to an unconditional refund."

Donna never explained what part of the purchase agreement I had violated. The only thing that she said was that my lost TCs were in what she called a negotiated state. Further, according to her, AMEX has no legal obligation to refund a TC that is lost in a negotiated state. I wrote in response: The statement that AMEX is not obliged to fulfill a request for a refund when Travelers Cheques are lost/Stolen in a negotiated state will be news to almost every buyer of AMEX Travelers Cheques. This language is not mentioned in the Purchase Agreement, and buyers will naturally assume that AMEX will reimburse the buyer if the Cheques are lost or stolen at ANY STAGE BEFORE NEGOTIATION OF THE MONETARY TRANSFER IS COMPLETE. However, according to Donna, AMEX would not have any obligation to refund the TCs that were lost/stolen under the conditions of my example explained above, in which I made a $500 TC payable to my wife and then she was robbed or lost the TC on the way to the bank. According to Donna's letter, AMEX would be under no legal obligation to reimburse me for the stolen/lost cheque in that example, in spite of the fact that no one could cash the missing cheque. What a nice $500 bonus that would be for AMEX!

(#5) In the course of filling out the documents required by AMEX to get the refund, I noticed that one of the documents included a NEW purchase agreement. I conducted a detailed comparison of the ORIGINAL purchase agreement that I received from the bank when I bought the TCs and the NEW one that Donna now sent me from AMEX. The new purchase agreement added numerous new conditions and qualifications that were not in the original agreement. It was clear that AMEX was trying to substitute a new purchase agreement, with material alterations of the contract details. The following statements were found in the new contract but not the old one:

(a) American Express obligation to refund lost or stolen Travelers Cheques is NOT UNCONDITIONAL (AMEX's emphasis).
(b) American Express must be satisfied about the authenticity of your claim.
(c) You must not have placed your Travelers Cheques into luggage which you have subsequently entrusted to a travel provider e.g. taxi, airline, coach or ferry.
(d) You must not have placed them at unnecessary risk.
(e) You understand that American Express may need to have access to your personal information.

(f) You authorize us to request institutions from which you purchased your Travelers Cheques any and all relevant information necessary for American Express to comply with applicable law and/or to provide you Travelers Cheque related services.

None of these statements were in the original purchase agreement. These statements are very vague and offer AMEX broad discretion in obtaining personal information about the claimant, as well as broad discretion in denying claims. In addition, the AMEX form and Donna made a big point of emphasizing that AMEX cannot stop payment on a TC: "I understand that the Issuer(s) cannot stop payment on any Cheque which I reported lost or stolen and owes me no obligation to refuse to pay any Cheque presented for payment. and I hereby acknowledge and agree that American Express is unable to place a stop payment on any Travelers Cheques, including the above referenced Cheque/s, and [they] remain at risk indefinitely from future encashment."

Here is my response to this load of rubbish about the stop payment: Ha ha. A statement that is cleverly misleading and risible. AMEX has already told me that they put the lost Travelers Cheque numbers on a watch list, and anyone trying to cash them will be arrested for fraud. This procedure is much better than the procedure of stopping payment. In the case of some miracle, by which the lost cheques reach my bank, the bank will not honor them because the cheques are on a watch list of lost/stolen cheques.

If I had been living in the USA, I would not have filled out their onerous documents; instead, I would have filed a lawsuit against AMEX for violation of the purchase agreement. However, I was living in Korea, and it is more complicated to file such a claim in a Korean court. In the end, I filled out their forms as requested. However, I added an 11-page addendum stating that I was signing the forms under duress, along with my denials of key points. I made photocopies of all documents requested and mailed everything to their office in India. A couple of weeks later, I received a refund, about five months after my initial claim.

I did not let the matter rest there. I have filed a complaint with the New York Attorney General charging AMEX with two violations of New York law (AMEX is domiciled in New York): (1) false and misleading advertising; (2) material alteration of contract (i.e., travelers check purchase agreement). I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in New York City. Even though I already know that the BBB is a toothless tiger, I still filed the complaint to annoy AMEX. Incidentally, over 2,400 complaints have been filed against AMEX during the last 12 months at the New York City BBB alone. Concerning AMEX, the New York BBB states:

"On October 1, it was announced that American Express will refund $85 million to customers to settle regulators' accusations that it charged unlawful late fees and deceived customers to pressure them to pay off old debts or buy extra credit card services. Besides the refund to about 250,000 customers, AMEX will pay civil penalties totaling $27.5 million to the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Federal Deposit Insurance Corp, the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency."

Aside: In light of its manifest betrayal of its customers, why is AMEX still a member of the BBB, and with a rating of A? Because of its perfidy and lack of ethics, AMEX should have been expelled from the BBB. Is it because the BBB is a pantywaist organization that doesn't want to give up AMEX's membership fees? You can decide for yourself. In searching on the Internet for more information about AMEX, I came across numerous complaints against the company for failure to pay claims as well as for AMEX's deliberate obfuscation of the claim process. In addition, I found out that there are some banks that sell AMEX TCs but won't even cash them. Incredible!

To sum up, I now advise everyone to avoid dealing with this deceptive, insulting, and unscrupulous company. I have no faith that American Express can be shamed into including standard ethics as part of their company dealings. However, I feel a duty to warn others to steer clear of this sinister company like the plague. Incidentally, I can back up every claim in this posting with documented proof. If Karl Malden were alive today, he might very well be saying, "Leave home without them!"

I lost $400 of traveler's checks and phoned them up to report them stolen. The member of staff could hardly be understood and I had to spell every word. I was told to ring them back in the morning. When I rung them back, at the time, I was told they said you need to phone back later. The company is a complete joke! I will never use them again. I am fortunate that I have not left the country yet. The staff cannot speak English very well either.

I have written to American Express several times about the loss of my travelers cheques. American Express replied that my cheques were being held in South America, I had contacted them, the YVR Airport Services Ltd., and the Aeropuerto Santiago. My baggage and my American Express Travelers Cheques were lost at terminal 1. They said the SCL terminal Sociedad Concesionaria is the private trust that administers the concession of the main national airport, so my travelers cheques were lost, but not confiscated. Until now, all of my lost American Express Travelers Cheques have not been cashed, so American Express should have my money as long as the cheques were not cashed. My money remains with the American Express bank, that's why American Express should return my money.

Unfortunately, in my country, Brazil, American Express is a part of Bradesco Bank. The Bradesco Ombudsman gave me this information. I hope Amex Global is a different organization of Bradesco Bank. In my opinion, Bradesco Bank is not a reliable bank. My mother, Iafa **, died in August 2011, leaving Amex traveler's checks. I called American Express refund number, when you are in Brazil is 0800 891 2614. Then, I got the following information: my dad would receive the traveler's checks. The documents are: RG, CIC, Wedding Certificate. And I need to send by mail the traveler's checks marked with "Void". I was afraid to send it by mail.

Then, I contacted Bradesco Bank. I delivered the documents and the traveler's checks and after more than 5 months, no refund. The arrogant employee of Amex Brazil, Gerson, told me, "If Amex Global authorizes, I will authorize the refund." I called again Amex Global in the US. I sent the documents to Amex Customer Service Center and I am still waiting. I trust in the correctness of the information received by American Express Global. I trust in Amex organization. However, I don't trust in the employees of American Express in Brazil. I am waiting for a contact from American Express Customer Service Center.

I went to BDO Bank and Citibank in Cebu City and they no longer cash American travelers checks. Other banks would not cash them either. I ran out of money and nearly could not leave the Philippines as I had to find PhP550 airport terminal fee. I spent most of the day trying to find American Express in Makati, and when I did, it was too late.

A few months ago $1,350 in traveler's checks was stolen from me during a trip to Thailand along with a few other things from my bag. I did the right thing and reported the checks stolen. I notified American Express as well as the local police. The police took the report and gave me signed a statement regarding the theft. On the American Express website they write that, “Your money is always safe with travelers cheques”, and just below that they add that if your money is lost or stolen, it will usually be refunded within 24 hours. I was sure that all it would take would be a few phone calls, faxes, and I would get my money back safely just like American Express claims.

The nightmare began when I called American Express to report the stolen traveler’s cheques. Right off, the representative told me that I would probably not get my money back within 24 hours as the website claims, and that I should try to find another way to get money (I was stuck with just $100 in Thailand). They said it would likely be a long process. In the subsequent months, I found myself having countless discussions with customer representatives, sending dozens of emails along with photocopied documents, bank account statements, my lease agreement (to prove where I live), and answering dozens of questions that included my height and weight and many other extraneous details.

If I had just lost $50 or $100, I might have given up, as I’m sure many people do, but the amount stolen from me was so great that I keep trying. I kept up with calling, e-mailing, photocopies, faxes, and everything else. After months of this process, I finally received a letter from American Express stating that they refused to give me back my money even though the checks were cancelled and cannot be used. They claimed there is insufficient substantiation that any cheques were lost/stolen from you. In addition, they now claim that all further communication with them must be conducted through written documents only, so basically calling them does me no good. One word describes the customer service at American Express: indifference.

I’m 33 years old. I have two degrees, one in mathematics and the other in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. I’m clearly not a crook or a scam artist. There is no reason for them to treat me with such indifference and lack of respect. I will never use American Express Travelers Cheques ever again, and I encourage you all to learn from my mistakes. I nearly had no money in Thailand. Thanks to a friend I was able to carry on with my vacation.

I have lost my travelers cheques in Thailand. American Express refused a refund. I lost them on Nov 30th, 2010 at 11 am approximately whilst walking to money changer in Lamai, Koh Samui, Thailand. They had, at some point, fallen out of my money belt, as I absentmindedly omitted to close the zip a half hour earlier when I put the belt on in my room. Also, lost along with £1400 in travelers cheques were £1050 in cash and a Mastercard credit card. American Express asserted that I did not safeguard the cheques as a prudent person would, like amount of cash as stated in their terms and conditions (which incidentally I don't recall receiving when I bought the cheques).

I say I was taking care of my cheques and cash by keeping it in a money belt, as I have done over many years of traveling abroad. Failure to close the zip was due to extreme tiredness and a momentary lapse of concentration caused by jet lag and lack of sleep on the overnight bus journey from Bangkok to Koh Samui. I've been dealing with this matter since I came back in April. First, I went to the Citizens Advice. They put me onto the financial ombudsman service who, after 6 months, came back with the decision that American Express travelers cheques were not regulated by them. So now, I'm back to square one. As far as I know, the travelers cheques have not yet been cashed. So, AMEX should still have my money. The cheques were cancelled by me within half an hour of discovering them missing. This loss was an accident and there was no intentional neglect. Surely, as it says on the package when you buy the cheques, "lost or stolen cheques are refunded". They must be covered for this type of event - if not what.

My sister died on August 3, 2011 in Oklahoma. I am her only remaining sister. I sent a letter to American Express, 9/13/11, with copies of the front page of each of the travelers check booklets. The bank that sold them said she bought 65 checks in total, but the front of each book identified what was in each book. I also sent them a certified death certificate from the State of Oklahoma with myself named as respondent.

I still have not received one word from American Express and since my sister had Asperger's syndrome, there is no telling where she hid the checks.

I bought $500 of Amex Travelers Checks for a trip to Italy. I had used these in the past without a problem but had not been to Europe since the 1990's. Amex should not be selling these any longer without warning the consumer that there is a good likelihood you cannot cash them in Europe. I could not cash them at three different banks. They all refused to accept them.

I had to go through a very lengthy phone process to enable me to cash them at a Western Union in Florence. However, I spent almost $100 on the lengthy phone call, so I lost that money. Do not use these checks.

I am the wife of the person who owns a traveller cheque of American Express bank . The owner of the travell cheque was dead since October 9,2009 at our home in Thailand. I phoned American Express and the officer told me to send the original traveller cheque to American Express Acceptor Relations in West Salt Lake City, UT 84184-0407 USA. I sent the original traveller cheque and the evidence to the company. I sent it on October 19, 2009 and now I still haven't received any answer from American Express. Who can help me?

I feel so sick after reading articles on your website. In 2006 and 2007, I purchased 20,000usd in Travellers Cheques and over the course of the last 2 days I have been trying to cash them.

No bank, money changer, hotels or office to cash them or accept them. I don't know what to do except cry. That money was hard earned over those 6 years here in Saudi and now I have saved nothing. No way will I ever trust in American express again. Not even their credit cards. I am still in Saudi and not only do I have to worry about terrorists. I have no way to safeguard my savings or travel money.

I bought $12,000 in AMEX travelers checks for a three-month business trip to China in spring 2010. After hearing stories from co-workers about their credit cards being stolen or skimmed in restaurants and shops as well as pick pockets, I thought AMEX travelers checks would be a good deal.

I had some trouble cashing them in Beijing with some major banks. These banks that refused to cash my AMEX travelers checks happened to sell them but would not cash them! How ironic!

It was a hassle to get banks to accept my AMEX travelers checks. I cashed in $4,000 in three months and ended up using ATM withdrawals and credit cards while in China. But when I returned to the states and tried to deposit them in my Bank of America account (a bank I no longer do business with), the manager told me they would "have to check these TCs through the computer one by one to see if they are valid because we have been ripped-off before with AMEX travelers checks". Again, they sold AMEX travelers checks but did not want to cash them.

It was nothing but a hassle to deal with AMEX travelers checks. I will never buy/use them again, ever. No, thank you American Express. Bad business product.

CBS 2 Chicago is doing a story on American Express Traveler's Checks regarding how hard it can be to get money back if checks are stolen, etc.

I see on your website that people are complaining about the AMEX Traveler's Checks. How many complaints have you received? How often do you receive them? Any info can you provide regarding consumer complaints should be helpful.

Staying at the Grand Myan resort in Mexico, I cashed an Amex travellers cheque at the resort with all the confirmation of my identity supported by my room and credit card supplied at check in. Two days later, I was called and told my TC had 'bounced' at the bank it was sent to because the signatures didn't match. (They were a perfect match from 40 years of repeating it). The fact that the cheque had already been cleared by the resort didn't matter. I was told by the Myan Resort that the cashed cheque would be put on my credit card because they couldn't honor it.

The cost to me apart from the stress of dealing with the Myan Resort management, was the difference between using cash for exchanging to Mexican $ and the cost of putting the charges on my credit card, which is significant. As mentioned in other complaints it appears to be impossible to contact AMEX without an American Express Card. It seems that the AMEX travellers cheque has gone the way of the Dodo. I will take the travellers cheques to my home branch bank where they are accepted and be done with them.

I did not lose anything financially except for my time. But seeing the complaints here that AMEX travelers checks are not being accepted anywhere outside the US, I'm glad this situation ended as it did! So I went to a local AMEX office in the Los Angeles area. There was a very short line (only 1 person ahead of me) but the lone open AMEX window was just taking forever. When I finally get to the window (30 minutes later), I wanted to convert some money into travelers checks. AMEX wanted to charge me a 1% fee which is fine. Then they wanted to see my driver's license, a credit card, a physical mailing address and my Social Security Number! For a cash transaction? I don't think so! So I will not be taking AMEX traveler's checks for any of my future travels. Loss of my time!

I purchased American Express Travelers Cheques to the value of GB Pounds 500 from our local TD Canada Trust Branch and have just returned from a visit to the U.K. I was unable to use the cheques in any store or gas station and was only able to cash a cheque in Lloyds Bank because my sister had an account there and she signed for me. Not everyone has a sister or relative in the UK. So American Express Travelers Cheques appear to be a bad buy. It’s very embarrassing to be without cash in a foreign country!

I purchased American Express travelers checks in Euros, paying the exchange fee and commissions up front. I thought that would eliminate any problems in cashing them when I was in Belgium or France. Not so. No bank, merchant or restaurant would accept the travelers checks. I was forced to find a Bureau of Exchange to cash in my check having to pay a commission fee as well. I brought the remainder of my Euro travelers checks back to the AMEX office that I purchased them at.

The best they could do was give me American dollars at the 'buy rate'. Essentially that was a 20% loss on my part. The only solution they could recommend was to submit a claim for to AMEX for reimbursement of the difference. When I called the AMEX office in Belgium they told me that the banks and merchants should have accepted the travelers checks. The fact of the matter is that I wasn't able to find a bank or merchant in Belgium or France that would cash the checks for me.

Was without cash upon my arrival in a foreign country. I spent hours during my vacation trying to find someone to cash the travelers checks. My final 'loss' for all the back and forth transactions was about $30 on 200 euros worth of travelers checks.

American Express should have a new line for marketing, "Please leave home without it. Without both the card and the traveler's checks." Spend nearly 3 weeks in Italy on 2009. No one would take the American Express card for anything. Worse, I had brought thousands of dollars in traveler's checks and no bank or any other institution would take cash or give euros or dollars for the American Express traveler's checks - which are totally worth nothing in Italy, even in Rome!

I had to go to the Rome American Express office in order to get cash but that was after having no working credit card, and no euros in a small Italian lake village where I had to mail the owners euros days later from Rome. How embarrassing. Moreover, American Express knows that no one will cash the traveler's checks anymore - not just in Italy, but in Germany and France. Yet they continue to sell them without warning U.S. citizens.

I'll admit that I hadn't been to Europe in a while, but they should not sell a product they know that no one will accept anymore outside the States. Their solution for people who could not travel to the Rome American Express office? File a claim. That does Americans a lot of good with no cash in a foreign country. Horrible. I will never ever use a product of American Express again!

I purchased American Express Traveler's Cheques for the family trip to Italy. Never again will I do it. American Express news is saying it should be accepted anywhere. If you do decide to exchange the traveler's cheques, you are paying a commission between 3%-20%. The American Express website is of no help to you. You are unable to send an email to them unless you have an American Express card. I hope someone will learn from the mistake I made.

In March of 2001 the Wyoming Highway Patrol seized about $10,000. worth of AMEX travellers checks from me. Subsequently they turned the checks over to the US Secret Service. The US Secret Service held the checks for three years until 2004. I was never charged with any criminal offence regarding these checks.

Rather than returning th checks to me in 2004 the US Secret Service returned the checks to American Express. I have documentation (if you had a place to attach files I could display this) to support this allegation along with a letter from the Secret Service stating the checks sent to American Express belonged to me.

In 2006 I hired a Wyoming attorney of Cheyenne,

Wyoming. He wrote letters to the legal department at AMEX demanding a refund for these checks being AMEX got my money and the checks back. I also have documents to support this.He even demanded AMEX show a factual or legal basis for denying me my refund. Never did an attorney respond. He only received emails from someone called Annette H (legal analyst). I checked with the Utah Bar and there was never an attorney practicing in that state by the name of Annette H. She said she was denying the claim unless I can produce a receipt or proof of purchase.

Unfortunately being it was five years since I purchased the checks I did not have the reaceipts.However requiring me to produce a proof of purchase before I could get a refund is such a farce. Number one AMEX has records. They know damn well who purchased those checks. For two the checks were held for three years with the US Secret Service. If those checks were not purchased by me clearly I would have had criminal charges filed against me. Three I have documentation
(if you only could allow me to paste documents here) where the US Secret Service clearly and unequivocally state that the checks in question belonged to me. I purchased them on either February 20 or February 21 at the AAA Office on Arkansas Avenue in Denver,Colorado.

In 2007 my attorney filed a complaint against AMEX with the Office of the Attorney General of Utah. The Utah Attorney Generals Office dismissed the complaint because I am not a Utah resident.

I then upon my own filed a complaint in 2007 with the New York State Attorney General (where I am a resident). The complaint again was dismissed. In speaking with an attorney for the New York State Attorney Generals Office she said we can only resolve disputes if both parties are willing to do so voluntarily. Which is a joke. If the two parties can resolve the issue voluntarily why would one have to go to the attorney generals office.

Then in late 2008 I tried to file a complaint against AMEX with the Federal Trade Commission (The FTC).The FTC would not take the complaint because they say they only deal with class action suits. They referred me to the Office of Thrift Supervision.
In 2008 I filed a complaint against AMEX with the OTS (Office of Thrift Supervision) and they said that AMEX is a bank and that I should go to the FDIC. I went to the FDIC and they said AMEX is not a bank and that I should go to the FTC.

In 2009 I tried to contact an attorney for AMEX to discuss the refund and I get stonewalled. I first tried phoning the 1-800- and I got someone from the Phillipines named Christian and he refused to connect me to an attorney for AMEX.I also phoned a Justin P at AMEX in Salt Lake and he too refused to put me in contact with an in house attorney for AMEX.

Purchased $2,000 AMEX checks. Have misplaced them. Reported. None of the checks cashed according to their system. Asked for refund. AMEX refused saying that checks are same as cash so they will not refund. (Of course, this argument also applies if stolen which they would be if someone tried to cash the lost checks, verdad?) Told the AMEX stooge that I would sue them in small claims. Stooge said fine. Bad company to do business with- complete liars and fraudulent misrepresentation.

have lost the money paid for the checks. AMEX has my money.

The story is getting all too familiar by now. Amex stalling on TC refunds. I had 3700 euros worth stolen in Bogota some 7 weeks ago and Amex is sitting on its hands. The irony of it is that the case worker Elvira ** has already been mentioned here. As I am gathering info on AMEX my special request to Amar, Yazmin, Claudia, Mark and James as to how the thing ended. I for my part am not willing to let them get away with this.

i was in the united states from the 14th of July till the 18th of august on work. On the 14 th of august i realised that i had lost my travellers cheques and immediately imformed the american express help desk through their listed numbers and registered the loss. i was dealing with a lady by the name of elvira in the claims department.

the lady mailed me back three days later(its was a friday hence a weekend)on monday and asked for me to send her all the documents including police complaint report etc.i did that promptly an had the documents faxed to her as well as have been speaking to her regarding the progress on my case.

till now every time i ask them they reply by saying that they are investigating. i understand the need for them to investigate but its been over a wekk since i have dutifully completed their requirements yet they have not sent me duplicate cheques on cash.i'm constantly on the move due to my proffesion and rely on travellers cheques for money.now i am help less. please can you help me thankyou

Loss of travellers cheques worth 4500$USD.