Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

1235 American Express Platinum Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

The waiting time to reach them by phone is terrible long. They transfer you here and there and you can't get answers to your questions. They don't have an email address and this is a big red flag to any customer. They just don't want to be bothered. Too many complaints and phone calls they're not able to handle. I'm extremely disappointed.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have been with American Express for 22 years. Currently I have a solid government job that's over 200k a year, am a 12 year army veteran and have a credit score of 810. Because I am purchasing a townhouse after living in a small condo for 10 years, I wanted a card with cash back benefits as well as a low introductory APR. Given my previous history with American Express, I applied for a Preferred Card. I could not get any information regarding the credit limit for the new card until after the application was approved.

When I received the approval, it was for $8000. Not at all helpful given the circumstances. I was told that I could negotiate with customer service. However, they refused to do anything for 30 days. When I filed a complaint, no one got back to me. After a second phone call which failed to resolve the situation, I have up. Now I can't apply for a useful card due out of concern for my credit report. AMEX completely failed me when I needed them most. Avoid this card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have been an American Express card holder for 30 years. My usage on the card is minimal. So, American Express decided to cut my credit line in half. This has caused my credit score to drop. American Express didn't even notify me of this policy change. This is a poor way to run a business.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have been an American Express Gold Cardholder for over 8 years. I have held a solid history of paying it in full every month. Last month I was late by 6 days after adding up a larger balance than the norm. I received an e-mail after day 6 stating that I should contact American Express so that my card service wouldn’t be interrupted. I called American Express and they wanted not only that payment, but my next month’s balance (due in 4 weeks) in full that day ($9k Total!). I made a promise confirmation for my current balance of $4.8k for the next day. I paid the balance the next day.

I then get a notice that I can not use my card because I still owe a balance on the card. Confused, I reach out and am told there is an $18 balance remaining. How do, the balance I paid was determined by Amex. Okay, I paid that, now my card is available again and I still have until the end of the month to pay that period. A few days later I then receive a notice I have a credit limit on my account. I didn’t make any charges since the previous payment I paid. Because I’m still carrying a $4k balance my $2k credit limit makes it impossible to use my card.

All of this because I was 6 days late. Not 60 days. Not 30 days. Not 15 days. Not 7 days. 6 days. And I made a promise to pay my previous balance with them only to not be able to use my card at all. Really? I’m beyond frustrated that after 8 years I am beyond penalized. Awful service. I am counting down the days until I cancel this card after my final payment of this balance. Stay away from American Express. All is well until you miss one payment by only a few days. Then you are the worst customer in their eyes.

Original review: April 16, 2019

In regards to the American Express Platinum Charge Card all I can say is from my personal experience, what a horrible, horrible company Amex is. For the last 2 months I’ve been dealing with 2 very ill family members and during this time I forgot about the $200 travel credit on my Amex Platinum card. Unfortunately, this travel credit, which I ultimately paid for as per the annual card fee, American Express, as per its policy*, claims I have forfeited and has effectively stolen this from me. *If you don’t use this credit within 1 year American Express will effectively steal it back from you.

No email notification & no automated phone call, warning you of what is about to happen. If you don’t use it within a year Amex will lighten your wallet of this $200 credit (regardless of the circumstances) without any mercy – effectively robbing you of something you paid for. Again, what a horrible, horrible company. I have been an Amex member since 2001 and this isn’t the only grief I have experienced, dealing with what I consider to be the worst customer service standard of all the credit card companies and I’ve had it. To anyone reading this, do yourself a favour; don’t waste your money on an Amex card. Tomorrow I will be cancelling mine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: April 16, 2019

My husband used this card for 6-8 years for his business and after Hurricane Irma he got behind on payments. American Express cancelled his card and put it under some other department so when I started paying the bills nobody could talk to me NOR could they add me as a point of contact even with his permission because the card was cancelled. But every time I called they were willing to take my payment. Our bill was over $50,000 and because we got behind on payments they charged us 29.99% interest -- yep, almost 30% on top of the money we were paying. We had to refinance our mortgage and take out some other loans to finally get this albatross off our backs. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN will we use or recommend American Express. It is a horrible company with more horrible customer service.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have 5 Amex cards for a number of businesses that I own and 1 personal card. I have never missed a payment on anything in well over a decade. I have been working with Amex because they have a good points system however for the 2nd time in 6 months my accounts are suspended until I submit a bunch of financial information. The last time this happened I had prepaid the $30,000 so they would stop shutting my card off. Instead they suspended my account anyway and held my $30,000 for 2 months while they did a "financial review".

Now we are doing it again. I have to be able to pay bills and order inventory so having the cards shut down for months is unacceptable. Amex touts itself as a card for small business but that is absolutely false. They have treated me poorly and damaged my business from almost day one. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother dealing with Amex. I'm putting $300,000 a year through these cards and that doesn't even buy me decent customer service. Find another business card.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been an Amex cardholder for 20 years and our small business recently had a dry spell so I fell behind on 2 Amex cards. I have called to tell them I am making payments as I can but all will be paid in full and caught up within 60 days. They said that is not good enough but I can talk to the hardship department. I did just that to try to work out a payment plan and they said if I can come up with $3000 today, they can enroll me in the hardship plan. If I had $3000 I would make a payment and get caught up!

I have never been behind on payments for 20 years and now that I ask to work out a payment plan until I can get caught up in 60 days, they say it is not good enough. I know I am responsible for making payments on time and now have the income again to get caught up. It is unfortunate that 20 years of on time payments is not enough to get 60 days to recover. When I am paid in full, I will not be using my Amex cards or recommending Amex to anyone.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have received invitations from American Express for their platinum card for both my business and personal spending for many years without ever applying - completely normal. Recently I went to their website to check eligibility, spending limits, rewards point sign up bonus etc. While navigating their website it asks for personal information to check eligibility. The following screen has additional navigation tools to request more information - clicking on this actually submits your application, opens an account and lets you know you will receive a card within the week.

I immediately called American Express to let them know what happened and ask that they close the account and remove the credit check. It took a week of calling and dealing with rude and short representatives before I was able to close the account WITHOUT having a resolution to the effects this will have on my credit score (read: opening/closing accounts, credit checks, age of account). I have now submitted a complaint with the consumer finance board and reached out to the credit agencies independently to resolve this as American Express customer service was unwilling to help and worth reiterating, some of the rudest representatives I have dealt with.

In the aftermath of this I have mentioned this issue to friends and colleagues and was surprised to hear that this is commonplace with American Express, that their mileage bonus incentives are never given nor an explanation provided and that customer service is lacking at best. Should you decide to open an account with American Express I hope that you have a different experience than I.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I was approved a American Express card in Dec with a credit score of. 755. So I apply for a credit increase since I was only approved 1000 dollars. And I was declined because they said I have filed for bankruptcy when I haven't so I contacted credit company and have a copy of my credit report and no bankruptcy on my reports. I don't know where that came from and got a letter saying after a careful review I'm still declined a increase so I call Discovery and they gave me a 12000 dollar increase on my card with them so Amer Ex can stay at 1000 in my wallet for good.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Been a member for, well most of my life. I am reaching senior years. 800+ credit. Never late. Reliable. Was loyal. It seems like sending me an punishment letter stating that due to my low spend activity they are lowering my credit limit and cash advance limit. Maybe by punishing seniors and demeaning us we will tell everyone we know how great they are? I've seen this before with other once great companies. All gone now. Punishing us for loving you. Hope it all works out with this great new customer service approach.

Original review: March 28, 2019

AMEX laid a big egg on me. I relocated from Atlanta to Jacksonville for my job. I take a couple weeks off to close on a house and move in then I have to work a couple weeks before my first paycheck in JAX. I was planning to use my AMEX card to pay gas, groceries and small bills until that first check on April 12th. You know? The kind of reasons people keep credit cards to begin with!!! However, as soon as I start using AMEX they cut my limit. Now I’m stranded and had no choice but to open another line of credit. Not to mention AMEX actions are uncalled for and hurt my credit score. If this line of credit remains loyal to me then I will no longer need AMEX. I will close my account when it’s paid and I will never do business with a credit card company as unreliable as AMEX ever again!

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I called Customer Service I was told they had other option for me to get a extension on my account so I won't lose my house by 1 April 2019. The customer service agent told me to call Monday. When I did he never documented anything we said to me the night before. So this is not acceptable. I personally think the customer service team needs to be retrained. I work for a company that sponsor AX and I am not pleased by the way I was treated by the agent today from 2 that were very rude and did not care about anything. I will NEVER refer anyone to AX. They have lost my confidence in this company.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I was a several decade long loyal fan, and customer of AmEx Platinum. I particularly enjoyed the travel benefits, for which I had not qualm forking over the extra $450/year. One could easily see that I paid my bill on time, and often in advance if traveling. Imagine my disappointment in American Express when an unscrupulous merchant sold me an item whose warranty was automatically void. The product arrived, poorly packaged, damaged, and bent. I took photos, called American Express. AmEx advised me “Don’t you worry about a thing Ms... This isn’t right, and we are going to take care of you. Thank you for being such a long time valued customer.”

The chargeback was made with no problem. I returned the faulty item to the merchant, insured, tracking. The merchant convinced AmEx that I had used its product, violently, and had done the damage. AmEx reversed the chargeback. I called. And, received a lengthy apology. The chargeback was made again. The merchant mailed the same damaged product back to me on New Year's Eve. I refused it. The merchant not only collected the $1200 + from American Express, but double dipped by claiming insurance with USPS.

Still American Express failed me, its loyal customer. AmEx told me that if I would pay my yearly fee again, they would ensure this never happened again, and make good on the chargeback. AmEx took my $450 yearly fee, cancelled my card within days, AND turned me over to collections. May they rot in hell. I look forward to shorting their stock until I have recovered 100 times 100 the amount they cost me.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I canceled my Business account with AMEX as AMEX increased their annual membership fee. Soon after that, AMEX reduced my personal credit line. As a result, my credit score dropped. Stay away from AMEX. My other cards increased my credit line. Go figure.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Did you know you only have 30 days to dispute fees? Nowhere on the statement do they tell you that. But that doesn't matter - according to the uppity representative who I spoke to, "You should have memorized your card agreement, because this appears on page 5!!!" No joy in getting any portion of these fees either, and only 35 days late. Think I will be looking at Chase Sapphire cards.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been with them for over 10 years and it has been a terrific experience. I wanted to add another card with a low interest rate and no yearly fee and this fit me 6 years after my divorce and I was rebuilding my credit. I also enjoyed the points as it has helped me buy a Weber grill and building supplies for our house through Home Depot gift cards. My wife lost her wallet a couple years ago and because the members have separate numbers they did not have to cancel my card and the new card arrived in about 3 days! Also last year twice I had a weird $1 charge on Google Play and I am on an iPhone so they reversed the charges. I am an AmEx member for life.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Took Amax up on a zero % interest cc, no transfer fee to pay off another credit card. They charged my new card to pay a JC Penney account - which I have no account with, no debt to them. They told me it would take 6 weeks to resolve and I am responsible to pay them payments to pay off $4500.00 which they paid "willy nilly" to the wrong place. Appalling. Where R consumer protection actions? They threatened sending me to collections when I complained about paying a debt that isn't mine. Charge my account and send the $$$ to where ever. I'm still in awe of the extent of their incompetence and arrogance

Original review: March 14, 2019

Shame on you AMEX. My father died one month ago, we closed his AMEX card as we should, you guys shut down his autopay therefore we didn't pay the bill immediately, had to wait for the bill to arrive. You had the nerve to send his account to a collection agency and my mother gets a nasty letter in the mail, she's in mourning. Hasn't been responsible for bill paying in their household ever and this is one of her first experiences. Is that really the way you should treat a 50+ year member? Reassess the handling of this situation in the future. You've lost me as a customer. I'm closing my account with you, I'm disgusted by your actions.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have been a member since 2007, I am really very disappointed with the service and what was said to me. I booked a flight through American Express website and had to cancel the flight. When I spoke to a representative I was told there would be a cancellation fee of $200.00, which I was okay with it since I had insurance but when I checked my email later I noticed there was no money refunded and I called and spoke the representative.

He could not help me either or get me through to the insurance team, which later he said he would connect me to the manager Pamela and to my surprise that shocked me and got me very annoyed is that she started telling me that I would not get any refund as it was in the clause when you booked the flight, by which I told who is going to read all the clause as majority of the people don't read the clause. I would have to pay the whole amount for the cancellation flight and would not even get a dime back. This leads to me say that I would be cancelling my American Express account and would not recommend anyone. The most horrible and good for nothing is Pamela.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I applied this card last summer and they never sent out the card and 3 months later, they called asking me for the membership fee payments. I called them at least 8 times to solve the issue, every time the answer "we opened the investigations" and will get back to me, but they kept called me asking for the money, over the card I've never received nor did they sent out. I have 3 other cards with AMEX and I am not planning to use any of them anymore. The services I experienced with Visa/Chase was 10 times better than AMEX. Take your business elsewhere people, not AMEX.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I thought it was just me and then I read of the bad reviews on this site. After using a platinum card in Canada with no issues for 10 years, spending $200-$300k per year, I moved to the US. Boy, what a change. Very rude, demanding. There was some paperwork issue after a couple of months and the card was 'frozen', my wife left trying to pay for something and the card would not work. No phone call, zero. I called to try and figure it out and a very rude Amex representative told me the account was frozen because additional information was required. Shockingly bad service. I guess there are so many people spending lots of money with Amex in the US they just don't care. I closed the account and we have moved our business elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I started my relationship with American Express with their Blue Cash Everyday card roughly a year and a half ago. Never been late with them, used the card occasionally, PIF within a month or two. Fast forward to Jan 2019, they sent me a notice that I was approved for an upgrade to the Blue Cash Preferred card. I accepted. Activated the new card once it came in the mail. Everything went great until yesterday when I got an email stating that my CL was dropped to 1300 from 2000! I called C/S and the rep said they did an "annual" review where they pulled my credit file and saw that I had a couple of other cards with a balance. Since they didn't "like" that, they dropped my limit. Did the appeal with the rep and I either have to pay 600.00 of my balance down or send them documents proving my income and assets.

First off, I shouldn't have to prove anything to them since I have never defaulted on my payments with them or any of my higher limit cards. Second, it sounds like they are just money hungry. I have several other cards including Discover and PayPal cashback extras that both have a much higher limit but yet don't pull this kind of BS. I am thinking of just paying the AMEX card off and just not using it much. What a ripoff and what a shady practice to their always on time card members.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I am an Amex customer since 2014. However, I have been experiencing bad customer service since November. I will summarize the facts. Throughout the last year, I was asked to upgrade my Amex card. After I rejected twice, I accepted this offer at the third time of promotion from the customer service in November 2018. (This background is important because I want to emphasize that I have NEVER asked for the upgrade.)

The card upgrade should come with a promotional offer which requires me to spend $2,000 in 3 months in order to get the cash back. After I did not receive the card in a few weeks, I called the phone customer service team 3 times in December. The representatives told me that it starts to count the 3 months from my receiving the card and activating the card.

However, in late December, after I still did not receive the card, I contacted the chat customer service. They told me a different instruction that it has already started counting the 3 months from November 2018. They asked me to spend $ 2000 in 1 month instead of 3 months. What makes me mad is not the Amex promotion policies but the different instructions from different customer service, the bad/rude attitude of the chat customer service representative, and the lies going around during the customer services, which are further demonstrated in the follow-up chats and calls. When I brought up the different instructions between phone service and chat service, the chat representative told me that the two teams do not communicate, and then he/she provided me a phone number of the phone team and asked me to call the phone team and figure out the problem myself.

I am NOT a worker at Amex. If there is a gap between the chat and phone teams, it is Amex's responsibility to fill the gap. This extremely bad chat service made me decide to close the Amex card and fill out the feedback forms several times expecting the response from the managers. What is even worse is the following attempts to get a response from the managers. There are so many lies and different versions of instructions during the follow-up. One said there is no way to talk to the manager. The other said I can get a response in 2-3 month and there are no other ways to accelerate the process. Another said I can get a reply in 7-10 days. Then another promised I can get a callback in 72 h. The only fact which is true is I do NOT get any response after more than 10 times calls and chats. With such a lying team, what is the future of Amex?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I used the American Express card for more than a year. It was shocking to me that they will charge you extra money each month. You cannot simply trust these folks. You need to keep an eye on the statement each month. I would advise not to use this card.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I made a payment for my Jan. bill for my AMEX account early, on Dec. 28, assuming since I already made my payment for my Dec. bill, this Dec. 28 payment would go toward my Jan. bill. At the end of Jan., I discovered I was charged a late fee and my credit score immediately went down. When I called AMEX, they said the 28th of the month was the last day of my billing cycle for that month, so they applied the second payment made on Dec. 28 to my Dec. bill and not Jan. Therefore, my Jan. bill was considered "late-unpaid."

They did ultimately refund the late fee back to me, however, and most importantly, it had already been reported to one of the credit reporting agencies, causing my credit score to go down by 12 points. This is absolutely unacceptable. AMEX stated if I paid my Jan. payment on Dec. 29, which is the first day of my Jan. billing cycle, it would have been credited toward my Jan. bill. How is the consumer supposed to know this? I was acting responsibly and making a payment early from my perspective, but now, my credit rating is permanently affected, as decreasing by 12 points when NO OTHER CHANGES ON MY ACCOUNT ACTIVITY anywhere had been detected. This is completely unacceptable and something should be done immediately to rectify the issue.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have banked with AMEX for over 20 years and I have not missed a payment on my cards and I have an exceptional payment history. This company now has disrespected my service of 20 years over a simple $2700 payment when I generally pay over $200k per year through these accounts without issue. A direct debit overlapped with a mortgage payment and was apparently the cause of the AMEX payment being declined. I was not informed of this at all apart from some strange person asking for my ID over the phone and refusing to tell me what was wrong. My credit history accounted for nothing (near perfect). Needless to say they could have emailed or mailed me about this.

Instead AMEX blocked not just this account but all my accounts even though they were not out of order in less than 10 days with no notification. I am appalled by this service, lack of respect and it has offended me so much I will be shutting my accounts. Disgusted client and the client service is appalling... AMEX won't realise this until it's too late but genuine customers do make errors but this is NOT how you respond.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Signed up and agreed to pay the ludicrous annual fee because they offered 100k points. They ended up denying me the points for some total BS reason, but I still had to pay the fee. Plus, the benefits are not very good. "Free" stuff you don't need isn't such a great deal when you're paying through the nose for it. Stay far away!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Had 2 American Express cards. One gold and one blue. Used them until I did bankruptcy but paid them in FULL and closed them to be safe. That was in 2013, tried to get a American Express delta gold and thought for sure I would get it. But Surprise! "The reason was Your accounts were closed." Um ok what does that mean? I called and they could not even explain or give a reason. I guess it was a blessing because it looks like they have done downhill over the years fast. Oh well their loss. Don't recommend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I accidentally overpaid A.E. by $10,000.00. You know the extra zero for my $1,000.00 payment. So I called them when it left my bank and told them of the overpayment, they said someone would call me when they received their funds to initiate a refund. No one called, so by the second day I called and asked for a refund. They said, "Okay we will mail you a check in 7 business days." I said that was not satisfactory and HAD TO ASK for a Supervisor and asked for wire to my bank. I supplied the account and routing number and was given a confirmation number.

6 days, which is 4 business days, I still do not have my money. I called and they said they sent me a check. I said why because I had asked for wire transfer of funds. "Okay" they said, "You do have a wiring of the money and it take 7 business days." Why would a wire transfer take as long as mailing a check??? I asked for a Supervisor again. After a 20 minute hold, they must have a lot of problems for that to happen, right? He said it would take 7 business days to transfer the funds back to me. Why would it take as long as a check?

I asked them to mail me a letter as to all the steps they have taken to rectify the problem and they said they could not do that. That the first attempt to transfer had a technical error and the second time it went through. SO what good does the confirmation number do? I can still see the money sitting in my account after 5 days and it still hasn't been wired! I know it may not be much money to some, but to me it is! So they still haven't gotten through the paperwork to send it. I told them after 35 years of being a customer I am cancelling AFTER I get my money back!

American Express Platinum Card Company Information