Disclosures

American Express Platinum Card

3.9/5 (714 ratings)

About American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

I had an Amex card for my business and I was happy to use it for buying supplies and balancing the amount the following month. This worked well as my clients paid my invoice and in turn, I cleared the Amex balance. Then 2 issues happened: 1, I raised a chargeback request in October 2022, which was acknowledged in writing and then I had a letter a week later saying it was closed stating I had not responded. I had. 2, In November 2022, I had a client inform me that due to Christmas payment runs differing from the rest of the year, they were delaying my invoice by a week. No problem I thought, just call Amex and arrange a one-off exception to pay 1 week later, considering I had never missed a payment or paid late, this should be fine? Wrong. Amex immediately classified my account as a risk, and blocked my card and it never worked again.

I called them multiple times to ask why, and they said the card would be unblocked, it wasn't. I cleared the December payment exactly when I promised to, but the account remained blocked. Multiple calls later, they kept promising to unblock the card, but never did. Eventually, I called to make a complaint, which wasn't taken seriously, nobody gave me a reference number or acknowledged anything formally. I called again, about the 6th time, to say "Either acknowledge these issues, fix my card and apologise, or close my account".

This was recorded on the Amex system as "customer wants to close the account". That wasn't what I said, but Amex only believe their own records. Do not bother calling and trying to reason with them, they just write whatever they feel like in their system and usually it tries to make you out as the bad guy. I am now in dispute with them, and they want to close my account and demand full payment of all funds outstanding. They have never acknowledged any error on their part, it's all my fault apparently. Be very sure that Amex will not do anything to assist if you run into issues.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

Delta and American Express act like they don't know each other if there's a problem....You don't get into the lounge with this card without an exorbitant fee. $39.00 a person....for coffee and eggs that's a lot. What was once a perk to the frequent traveler not became a money making machine. The fee is huge because you buying the mileage. You're not getting anything. If you have a problem you'll be shuffled around from dept to dept just like every other credit card only this one weighs more because it COSTS MORE! NOT IMPRESSED

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I was an authorized user on my father's account for 14 months without ever missing a payment. As soon as he passed away they cancelled his account, leaving me with no credit card in order to run the house he left me. Despite my inheritance, they treated me like a stepchild, so I would never consider them in the future,

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

I submitted all the paperwork to AMEX for price match guarantee for a publicly available rate on a hotel's website. They denied my claim saying I was "signed in" to the website and getting a special rate - When I asked to show me where they were seeing I was signed in (or anything to validate their claim on why they were not matching the price), I just got the same answer over and over (copy paste). Horrible experience and I will be cancelling AMEX platinum. The card is NOT worth $700 a year I promise.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

The most unprofessional Credit Card Lender/Company I have worked with, most Miserable Customer Service that on a short notice email about 10 days (or less) ago dropping my credit limit from $20k limit on both my platinum cards to $5k, not to mention the inconvenience as well as incompetence speaking with their customer service on the phone, incapable of changing my due date for my auto pay, I for sure will advise everyone I know not to apply with American Express and tell them the story for their Horrible Customer Service!!! What a big ** Lender.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

American Express is now lost touch with its customers. Unfriendly, dishonest and rude. For what was a great card now is sadly out to make money. As I calm down I refrain myself from call names but a few come to mind.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

American Express has changed so much as it doesn't care about its customers anymore and pushes them to go the other brands. 22+ years yet they do not care. Learn to take care of you long-time premium customers. I would not get another AMEX card until they solve their issues.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

Once again, American Express advertises $200 off a Hotel Stay when using your American Express Platinum Card and staying at one of their Hotel Collections (for a minimum of 2 nights). Please see attached. I did just that. Using my American Express Platinum Card ending in 51003. I was told by American Express I could use either the business or personal AMEX card. The advertising on their website also states "Platinum Card Members". Nowhere in the ad does it state it must be one or the other. But in the deceptive and corrupt (systematic) way, American Express is now telling me they will not grant the $200 discount. What is going with all the deception?? Why is American Express constantly deceiving consumers?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

Their customer service is horrible, first lost the call after almost 15 on the line, nicely the lady called me back but just to put me on hold again for several minutes. On the follow up call they hung up again, the last call the guy had an attitude. The Gold card representatives are way more efficient and less condescending, training is a must in this Dept.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

As others have said avoid Amex credit cards. Poor customer service. Their website and app are difficult to use. Payments do not go through leading to interest charges on unbilled charges. Even after statement balance is paid in full you will receive trailing interest charge. Per their statement interest will be charged "even if you pay the balance in full and on time and make no new charges". When you call customer service or use their chat system you are often disconnected or get the run around. Not the service expected especially when paying high membership fees.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information