American Express Platinum Card (amex)
American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.44/5
Based on 105 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Express Platinum Card

1149 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

Have recently opened a credit card with Amex, June, 2018. It is now 1 month later and as I have done with other banks, I am ready to close any accounts I have with American Express. Pretty much with regard to these banks’ Customer Service individuals. Feel as if I am speaking to children or dumped into a call center, kept on hold indefinitely, my analysis, not a good scenario, do not trust these people you are talking to, probably frauds who say, "I can help you." WHAT! If you have any red flags, do not disclose any information, a lot of busy, busy busy, nosy busy bodies asking too many questions, go directly to bank's corporate offices.

Original review: July 6, 2018

The Amex card is the only I have been charged for late payments. - Sure, it was my responsibility to check my account if a payment was due, regularly. I trusted my "Alarms" settings with the Amex and that they would send me notifications before payments were due. They never did. I tried to resolve the issue by chatting about that (1 hour) and talking on the phone. They sent test emails to me during those chats. Nothing arrived. I wanted to verify what settings for "Alarms" they had on my account. They did not let me. That "Personal Details" page was blocked. There is a record of that when we chatted. I was shocked to discover that they unblocked that page after I canceled the account. Now I can make changes to the card account I canceled. Former Amex member since 2006.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 5, 2018

I am an office manager/bookkeeper for a local small business. We had a dissatisfied customer and he filed a complaint with Amex and they took the whole amount out of our account and put it on hold until they got documentation from us supporting our claim. We did everything they asked yet they sided with the customer. It was a substantial amount of money and we feel that anything over $5,000 should be kicked back and sent to small claims court. The people at Amex have no experience in our field, never asked for any more information, never called to speak with anyone and just supported his claim. We have since stopped taking American Express and will not deal with them EVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 29, 2018

In an act of good faith, I contacted American Express about the passing of my father approximately 5 days after he passed. I asked for the final balance so that I could send a check to pay-off the account. No more than 2 weeks later, I received a call from the American Express' collection unit. They were extremely rude and at first would not tell me what the call was in reference to. I believe the phrase the gentleman used was, "This is a call about a previous business arrangement." I figured out who was calling and told the gentleman it was completely unacceptable to contact a family about the balance owed on a recently passed loved one when the loss had occurred three weeks prior.

I then received two letters in the mail from their DCM Services department requesting contact info on the executor of my father's estate. I had already mailed in a check to pay-off the account (I mailed it after I spoke with them the first time). There is no way a company can defend their actions in this scenario. It's just completely unethical and rude to start a collection on an account when the family notified them of the passing AND then paid it in full in less than 30 days. It was never even past due. I will never do business with this company again and I will share my experience with anyone I can.

Original review: June 28, 2018

In the last five years, American Express has been on a serious decline. Before, if I ever needed a card to be replaced due to loss or fraud, Amex would next day deliver me a card, even if I was in a foreign city. Now, you have to fight tongue and fist to have your card expedited (and that's just for a 3-4 day delivery). Additionally, Amex used to notify me the instant there were any suspicious charges on my account. Recently, when I was billed for a $3000 charge that I hadn't made, I made that discovery myself. Amex never notified me. This felt so odd, seeing Amex is a global company. Shouldn't Amex be better at spotting fraudulent charges?

But most recently, I was involved in a dispute with a merchant who had overcharged me. I used Amex's dispute center, submitting countless letters and documentation. I also talked to at least 10 representatives. What unveiled over the course of 4 months was unbelievable. I had to reopen the dispute 4 times, to no avail. I realized that no one at Amex was really looking at what I was submitting because at the end of every dispute, Amex always sided with the merchant just as long as the merchant submitted something. What ended up happening was that I found the email for someone a little higher up, and reached out to them via email. They ended up getting in touch, and even then, they were dismissive, just like the dispute center had been all along. When she wanted to finish the call, I pointed out a key fact that the product I received wasn't even the same items listed on the invoice.

Talk about proof. It was only then she tried to make something work, but a month later, I'm still upset because I spent so much time and energy on something that should have been much easier to deal with. I tried calling them again today, and when I asked to speak with a supervisor, the rep lied and said he was busy (she was hardly gone for 3 seconds). She said the supervisor would call me in a few hours, but I never received a call. Talk about bad business practices. It's clear to me that Amex does not listen or value its customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: June 26, 2018

I saw an offer for an American Express Charge Card that had bonus points when you sign up if you spend 3k in the first 3 months. The card arrived and after 2 days it started declining all charges even though the balance was very small. I called to complain and they sent out a new card. This new card never allowed 1 charge to go through and kept declining. I called and again they shipped another new card. The new card never arrived and after calling multiple times, I gave up and 0 bonus points.

I had a 0 balance and then after 12 months got charged the yearly fee, so I called again and they said that this is so weird and they don't know why I didn't get my card but they will ship me out a new one right away. Today I get an email with an offer to upgrade to the platinum card and so I call but they have no idea and see nothing in their system. After spend 30 min on the phone and 5 people later they just said you can apply for an additional card but they have no idea about any email that I got for an upgrade. Please save yourself the hassle and DO NOT GET ANY AMERICAN EXPRESS CARDS!!! Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I’ve been an AMEX customer since 1995. Four days ago, I received email notifications of $2100 in charges I didn’t make. I called AMEX’s fraud department to report it immediately. Found out I’ve been locked out of my own account by criminals. AMEX is treating me like a criminal! Twice I’ve been told they’re emailing me forms my bank will need to sign & notarize to verify my identity. Twice they’ve not been sent. My requests to escalate to a supervisor have been ignored. They assured me on 2 calls that the account is frozen, yet another fraudulent charge appears yesterday (I received an email notice of the charge posting). I have perfect credit and this company is about to cancel my card. Criminals were able to change account information yet I can’t. I’m beyond furious. Will try their corporate hq today but am not hopeful. How can they be held accountable?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I cannot stress enough how horrible this card is, they sent a credit transfer to another company and it's not my responsibility to find where they sent the money and fix their problem. I've reach out to customer service 10 times and still unresolved. It's taken 3 months and still funds are MIA. I waited so long for this, and is the WORSE credit card company EVER... Keep looking.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Insurance charges appear without being asked if you want it. The help center was a terrible experience. It is very frustrating until I received a credit. I kept being outsourced between India and Mexico. It took me over an hour to finally receive the credit.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have had the card for 4 month (charge card) and although they say you have no spending limit, know that you do! I have paid on-time and I checked my spending power before making bigger than usual purchases. So the app said I had the spending power. I made a purchase way less than that for $369.00 dollars and they said that my spending power was decreased, but they gave NO notification. They check your spending power is worthless if it does not match your system. How could a card that is suppose to be so prestigious be so embarrassing and humiliating! American Express you HAVE to do a better job! Oh they said my purchase could go through if I made a payment! My balance was only $1099.00. I could have accepted you lowering my line, even though I had paid on time for whatever factors you use to determine limits. But embarrassing and humiliating your cardholder is on a whole new level of LOW!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I cannot be sure when the issues started accumulating, however, I would suspect it was in January of 2018. In early January, a client issued me a check and failed to sign it. I failed to notice it lacked a signature. My bank did not fail to notice and even though they initially made the check fully available, they quickly deducted the funds from my account. Unfortunately, I had already initiated a payment to American Express. That payment was subsequently rejected due to lack of funds. Technically true… but resolved quickly once the error was detected. My American Express payment was not late as American Express retried the payment and it went through. I would have never issued the payment had I realized the check wasn’t signed and the funds would not be available. And yet, I still would have made the payment on time as I did.

Subsequently, after making several thousand dollars in purchases of inventory that was immediately resold to clients, I temporarily stored the funds that I allocated to cover the American Express bill in a business savings account with Capital One. When the American Express bill came due, I contacted American Express because I was having difficulty setting up the account with American Express to deduct the amount from this savings account. I contacted American Express and a representative input the necessary information and the account was listed as available to me to pay my American Express bill. Shortly thereafter, I initiated a payment through American Express’s website in the amount of $9000.

After a few days, my American Express account was suspended because the payment failed to go through. Honestly, I wasn’t sure why the bank rejected the payment, but I assumed it had to do with how the representative setup the account and assumed he failed to enter some critical piece of information. I contacted American Express at least FOUR TIMES that day. EACH TIME, being directed to an India based representative (for a card I pay an annual fee of $450 for). The first time, the representative contacted Capital One with me on the phone to verify funds were in the account. After a long hold, this was done and the India-based representative re-submitted the payment.

Approximately a half hour later I received an electronic communication from American Express indicating I should call as there was a problem with my account. Uncertain if this was a “delayed” message from earlier or if it were a new issue, I called a second time. The representative I spoke to wanted to verify the funds a second time but I was reluctant given the time it took the first time. The representative then began to insist that the problem was probably a prior stop payment in the same amount (even though I explained that I never did that) and insisted it would go through if we just changed the amount a little. Reluctantly, I agreed and he re-submitted a payment in the amount of $9001.80.

I had already spent well over an hour trying to resolve the issue and had two appointments I had to get to. Once the appointments had concluded, I contacted Capital One myself and discovered that this particular business savings account did not permit third-party debits. No payment amount would be honored. I immediately contacted American Express to explain this and was told that it had already been several hours and there was NO WAY to stop the payment attempt now. It would have to be rejected again. I was told there was nothing I could do. I wanted to get this payment to American Express, so I immediately transferred the $9000 to my business checking account and re-initiated the payment from my Chase account. This payment cleared without issue.

Subsequently, American Express continued to try to debit the savings account, each time it failed, suspending my account EVEN THOUGH I had made the $9000 payment AND my payment due date was June 11. On June 1, 2018, I completed the full amount due with a $1000 payment. As of June 1, I had no payment due under the terms of my account.

Ultimately, all issues fall on me. If I had carefully reviewed the January check I would have discovered the missing signature and never issued a payment to American Express that wasn’t honored. If I been more aware of the terms of my business savings account from the start, I would never have attempted to issue a payment from that account and American Express would never have had a returned payment in the amount of $9000 or a subsequent returned payment in the amount of $9001.80. If I hadn’t allowed myself to be pressured by your representative, I would have insisted he cancel that payment instead of resubmitting it. If, if, if.

I currently have a balance on the account from prior charges and account options American Express has offered me. The total balance is far below recent high balances and I have a $0 payment due. Yet recurring charges I setup for my business are to be rejected regularly in the coming days until my statement closes and I make another payment. Some of these charges are from suppliers for ongoing supplies to clients. None of these issues was a true and honest failure to meet my obligations to American Express – at worst, I was being overzealous in trying to pay off the bill before funds were fully verified available or from an account that was simply inaccessible to American Express. I haven't knowingly been late with a payment in years and even then, not more than once in the last decade. And now American Express is trying to end my business. Thanks guys... appreciate the love and understanding.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I applied for a new credit card last week! It had my old address on it and Amex won't allow me to change/update the address, because of an inefficiency on their system!!! They said it was sent on Rush through UPS and it would get to me in 24-48 hours (but, at the wrong address)!!! Then I've been asking for a tracking number for the past 5 days. First they said in 24 hours they would get it, then 48, then 72... now they said that new cards are delivered in 7-10 days... (such a rush delivery right?)

They asked me to call new accounts, then to call customer service. Every time I get a different answer/information. Chat Vs Phone round 6. Result... I haven't got my credit card, nor a feasible solution! I hope the guy who gets my card in my old address enjoys it, because I'm hating this service and considering cancelling it before I even get it! Such a poor service for a U$550 annual fee credit card!

Original review: June 6, 2018

New customer June 2016. Blue Cash Preferred Card. $75 fee. Everything was excellent with AMEX until they raised my fee to $95 with absolutely NO NOTICE, no letter, no email, no explanation, NOTHING. After chatting many times with them, they absolutely won't do anything about it and simply do not care one iota. They will say a letter was sent...that's a lie because we are paperless. Then it was an email...that's a lie too as every single email ever received here is archived forever...no email. No retention effort at all. They will say "Sorry for the inconvenience", SO WHAT! Those words and a buck fifty will get you coffee. In fact, AMEX WILL argue with you.

They do not care if your FICO is 850, they don't care if you are a very good customer paying bills on time, they just simply do not care, at all. I never agreed to a higher fee, was never given the opportunity to opt out or downgrade the card to a no fee card, I never even got a copy of the "new agreement" of which I never agreed to! Apparently AMEX can, and will, raise your fee at ANY TIME, for ANY reason, even for NO reason and raise it to whatever amount they want to...THAT is scary! especially since they now have a control over your credit score! BEWARE of this company! You are nothing more than a number on their balance sheets...plain and simple. They should have grandfathered in the older customers with a $75 fee and stuck the $95 to the new customers.

My GOOD luck, their BAD luck...doesn't work that way. One gets punched, we ALL get punched. In the military, that psychology forms a team. In the world, that treatment forms groups of enemies, haters, terrorists, poor reviews, bad word of mouth, etc... You would think folks would learn from history and stop repeating it. In one fell swoop, AMEX went from EXCELLENT to POOR (and that's only because there is nothing lower than POOR to choose from). I would have argued against folks that complained about AMEX, but now I have become one of you...as fast it took them to raise my fee. What a disgusting and inappropriate way to treat your very own customers! Good Luck folks, you will certainly need it with this company, AMERICAN EXPRESS!

Original review: May 17, 2018

I received a letter from Amex stating my application for the above noted card type (Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card) was denied. I have never applied for this card and told the customer service rep that I was reporting them. They did not and never had my permission to apply for a credit card under my name. Shame on American Express, fraud!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Opened the account and was given the impression that if I did a balance transfer from my Visa, I'd get extra points. Almost two weeks later, balance hadn't been transferred, so to avoid interest charges, I paid off the Visa. Called AmEx to ask what happened with the balance transfer and to let them know that I'd paid the card off. The call took almost an hour at which point I was told that they had already put the request through their company. I told them to cancel it because I'd already paid off the card. They said they couldn't and that I would have to give them $1,000 and then I'd get a credit from Visa and I'd have to call them to get a refund.

They said that when I didn't get a confirmation from them, I should have called them. My position is that if they instantly issued me a card based on good credit, the balance transfer should have been instant, and if not, then an e-mail or notification in the mail to advise me that the transfer was in process would have been courteous and standard. I shouldn't have had to chase them down to find out the status. I figure if they are the premier credit card company, I should get better customer service, and since they have yet to pay the other card, there is no reason to issue a payment on what is now a zero balance--the hit of a button would cancel a payment that hasn't been made. I told them I was going to cancel the card immediately.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I must have been confused when I received this card, I have had it for about 4 months, used it frequently to earn the extra points. I am now getting phone calls that I am delinquent and need to pay the full amount. They have told me that my credit report will be affected if I cannot pay the entire 2500 (includes $550 yearly fee). I explained to them that I was under the impression that this was a credit card and that I could make monthly payments like my other cards. I was wrong. I also have another AMEX card that they say will be affected by this and likely canceled. I applied for the card to increase my credit score, now it has ended up lowering it. I am more than frustrated and feel completely hopeless. Save yourself some head/heartache and don't get this card.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I upgraded my Gold card to a platinum card by using the offer I received in the mail which was for 25,000 reward points for upgrading. I had a RSVP code of and a call in code on the letter. I called in to make the upgrade and was assured that the reward points would be applied. You can imagine my surprise weeks later when the points were still not credited to the account. I called in and opened a case and they have not resolved it after 8+ weeks. They said that they cannot find a copy of the letter that THEY SENT ME with the offer and so they won't credit the points. Here's the kicker. Having dealt with this company before, I kept a copy of the letter and took down the name and extension of the person I spoke with.

STILL they cannot seem to resolve it. They could however charge me the upgraded fee of $550 a year for this sloppy service. That seemed to go through just fine. However holding up their end of the agreement seems to be a struggle... This is unacceptable. Clearly a bait and switch. I remember seeing online the promotion for 25,000 points if you upgraded as well. It should NEVER take 8 weeks for them to fix their mistake and four calls to supervisors to inquire as to the status and to fix their mistake. There are dozens of similar stories online about reward points just magically never getting credited to people's accounts and the struggle with Amex to get it fixed. Someone needs to hold this company accountable for their business practice

Original review: April 26, 2018

Amex is going down the drains in customer service. I have been a card member for over 18 years and I am done with them. After paying $725 a year as annual membership fees for my Platinum Card, they cannot even deliver a card in 24 hrs. In the good old days, you could order a replacement card in the afternoon from Mon to Fri and it would be guaranteed delivered to your doorstep by next day. I requested a replacement card on Monday noon and today is Thursday and the card has not been delivered. When I called, the Rep said a card replacement has been initiated yesterday (Wed which is two days after I requested) but did not know if the card was mailed, had no tracking number and could not tell when the card is delivered. This is how far Amex servicing has slipped. It's sad and pathetic!

Original review: April 26, 2018

The rewards, easy to accumulate miles. Very convenience to use the services provide. If you have the chance, get it, use it! I am very happy with the service!

Original review: April 25, 2018

We use this card as often as possible to rack up points and has done well for us for many years, the only real drawback is that a lot of small businesses will not accept it because of the higher fees.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Love the card! Just wish more places would accept it but your vendor rates for small businesses make it impossible. Please consider changing this. Otherwise customer service is outstanding.

Original review: April 22, 2018

We applied while stationed overseas. Our neighbors applied - got their cards - no problem. For us (the military family) they wanted us to jump through hoops over and over and it was our responsibility to keep checking in with them. They took no initiative to stay communicate back with us. Terrible customer service. Inconvenient operating hours and the call center are not native English speakers. I couldn't understand them at all.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I accumulated over 300,000 membership rewards points over 6 years before leaving my company at year end. Further, I have had an AMEX card since 1994, charging perhaps $1 million of charges over such time. I called 39 days after leaving my company and was told that Amex “policy” was to wipe out all miles after 30 days. No exceptions. I appeal to national office in NYC and am rudely told the same thing. So let me get this straight. I charge over $300,000 worth of goods/services on the card over 6 years never making a late payment and accumulating 309,000 membership rewards points and Amex STEALS them because I’m 9 days late redeeming.

Instead of offering some compromise, they rudely tell me I get NOTHING. Not one penny. Anyone on the planet think this is how to treat a customer since 1994? I am promptly cancelling my personal AMEX and will never use Amex again. Strongly recommend all others who read my thread follow my lead! #AMEX_Sucks #howNOTtoTREATaCUSTOMER.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I'm a new client to Amex however I get my card today and I activate it. I go shopping for the business. 1st chg ok., 2nd ok, 3rd fraud lock. I call and verify and it's ok. I try 3rd purchase again locked. I call again. They want additional verification. I have my bus part call. They said it's unlocked. I try again fraud lock. Meanwhile my car was serviced there too and we were stuck. I called again and fraud center closed now. Myself and pregnant employee have to walk 7 miles. Thanks Amex you ** suck.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I've been an American Express member since 1986. About three weeks ago, my Optima card was declined at dinner. I called American Express the next morning and was told the decline was due to a new card being issued. I told the AMEX customer service person that I had not received a new card and was not informed. Also, I explained that it was embarrassing that my card was declined at a local establishment. I was then placed on hold. After 10 minutes, I hung up. The next day, I engaged in a Web chat with AMEX about the same issue. The person told me the same thing about a new card being issued. I informed the person that I had no knowledge of a new card and had never received one. The person replied "I'm sorry." Three weeks later, NOTHING from AMEX. They obviously do not care about loyal long term customers. I plan to do some advertising for AMEX.

Original review: April 18, 2018

AMEX Platinum is there when needed in both health and travel needs. I was ill in London and when notified they sent a list of MD, their locations and then followed up with calls and e-mails even after I returned home. In the case of travel - they arranged a tight connection flawlessly and even had the plane held for me!

Original review: April 17, 2018

The companion ticket offered on the airline is hard to use. It says no restricted dates. Wrong! Some flights are not available for this reward and they say it is full.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The only person in the family is me who has Amex Platinum and somehow they reached my husband for a payment even I didn't give them the consent to add him as an authorized person. Who can even imagine what they said (by accent wouldn't even tell that are American born people) that in America husband is automatically added as an authorized person on the card. This is just ridiculous! The best credit card has the worst customer service!!!

Original review: April 16, 2018

The American Express Platinum card gives me a free airline ticket each year. There is a fee to use the card but it is a lot cheaper than buy a extra ticket. The fee for my card is $198 a year.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Card itself is great but benefits not so good. Reward points can only apply to that cardholder so if there are 2 cards in the account, points only apply to one of them.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information