Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
American Express Platinum Card
3.72/5

American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

A Merchant charged back to AMEX the amount of $8,472.48 in December 2017. I have sent numerous detailed letters to AMEX requesting credit for this amount. AMEX confirmed a chargeback was made but refuses to provide me the funds even suggesting that I contact the Merchant, which I did. The merchant confirmed that AMEX is responsible to provide me the funds not them since they charged back that amount to AMEX. I have requested AMEX to contact me by phone, so this issue could be rectified, but that hasn't happened either. The Dispute/Inquiry Department does not publish a phone number; the only way to communicate with them is through the mail.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

American express is a very malicious lender. Need to be very careful dealing with them. There are a major wolf pack member. IF you want to deal with them, DO NOT get more than one credit card from them at the lowest credit possible. They do practice regularly and if you have higher credit with them they take it away. By that they higher your utilized credit and kill your credit score and they can bring your credit limit from 40k to 1K in a sec. This practice is worldwide. I saw reviews from UK, Canada, USA. They like to use the word WE ARE RESPONSIBLE LENDER while really they should use the word Vicious Malicious Lender, to offset their line DO NOT LIVE LIFE NOWHERE NEAR IT. Do not be fooled with some of the nice reviews. These are people they put them up to it. Stick with regular credit card from decent banks, if you value your credit..trust me, they will crucify your credit.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I have loved AMEX Cards until now. It's not that the cards are really bad, but the customer service you get from them is utterly disappointing. I received a letter in August 2019 to upgrade to a Platinum card. I called customer service and the lady convinced me to go for it and I gave her the RSVP code and POID code that was on the welcome letter. The offer letter clearly stated that I am invited to request an upgrade and that the welcome offer is 60,000 Membership rewards after $5,000 in purchases for the first three months. I got my new card and I spent over $2,000 in the first 5 days and I got 25,000 reward points. I was confused as to why I received this and called customer service. The lady told me that this was another promotion on my card. I asked her twice to check if I am still getting the 60,000 points after $5,000 in purchases, she assured me I was getting it.

I had the $5,000 purchases in the next 10 days and I was on live chat with a customer exec just to check and he told me that the offer is 25,000 points for $2,000 in purchases. I explained about the offer letter I received and uploaded it to their database as well. He told me that I had to wait 6 weeks for an answer. I called back again in a week to see what was going on and the customer exec was so rude this time telling me that there is no shortcut and I would have to wait till the maximum time frame time for an answer. I got a message from AMEX's customer service team that was supposedly reviewing my case and they said that it doesn't seem that I applied for an account with a 60k membership points and instead the offer to upgrade an account was 25k membership points.

How in the world can someone be so incompetent? If they had just read the first paragraph in the offer letter where it says I get 60,000 points for $5,000 in purchases, he would have checked the offer code or POID code that may have been incorrect on my letter. I had to get with another supervisor this time and they told that another team is investigating this and I have to wait 8 weeks. I asked for a transcript just in case I have to file a case in court one day and they said they can't do that. Regardless, if this issue isn't solved, I am cancelling my cards with AMEX, file a lawsuit and not pay the membership fee which has not been charged yet and move on to CHASE cards. This is the level of customer service you get for being a platinum member with AMEX.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Stay away from this card! I've been a customer since 2010 and can honestly say this card is a total rip off. Read all of the fine print first to find all of the ways they will screw you over! Their customer service consists mostly of the rudest people at the out of country call centers. They want outrageous "membership fees" for their rip off credit cards. Pray you never have unexpected financial problems because their heartless customer service will only be rude and snarky about it.

Oh, and if you pay late one month because of unexpected issues, they will forfeit your earned points, but don't worry you can get your points back IF YOU PAY MONEY TO REINSTATE THEM! AND DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY IT TAKES TO EQUAL POINTS TO BEGIN WITH! Total joke of a card. I have multiple credit cards with tremendous customer service and rewards. I've never experienced such a horrible system with any other credit card company. I will never utilize this credit card again and wish I had never signed up for it in the first place!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Stay away from America Express!! I have been a loyal 20 year business customer with over 4 million in purchases. They have treated me absolutely horrible! Moved my business to a Discover card and they have been amazing helping me grow my business again. Go Discover card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Be careful of this company. They will just cancel your account with no notice and when you call them about it they will just tell you that you haven't been using the card and you are eligible for reinstatement but they will do a hard pull on your account. Yes, a hard pull to reactivate a card YOU ALREADY HAD FOR YEARS!!!! No warning, just cancel, affect your credit history and card utilization and if you want it reinstated you have to have a hard pull. UNREAL!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I applied for an AMEX card to specifically transfer the balances from two of my other cards while I am in the middle of a building project. It does not indicate in the mailing or fine print that the balance transfer is a $5000 limit, which is totally useless to me. I have never had a credit card with a $20,000 limit that was so restrictive. When I called customer service, I was informed that all AMEX cards have a $5000 balance transfer limit. I informed the customer service representative that I would not have applied for the card had I known that information and that it is false advertisement because it is not specifically stated anywhere in the application. When I told them I will cancel my card if that is not increased, I was told she could only register a complaint. Deceptive advertising and poor customer service. I live in a rural area and a lot of businesses do not accept AMEX, so not much buying power for me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

A very large overpayment was made from my bank account to my Amex Platinum card account. I have lost count now of how many different Customer Service reps I have spoken with. First they denied it had been transfer despite the large credit shown on-line. Then they said it would take a number of days to process once they acknowledged it was received. I am a 26 year customer, which doesn't seem to matter. I was finally told a wire transfer would be made and could take 3-5 days. Thats a long time for a wire transfer.

At 5 days I called again, now it's really more like 7 days I was told. Still waiting. It is now 2 weeks since this large sum went to Amex. When this is resolved I will be leaving Amex after 26 years. Multiple CS reps said they documented all of this but every time I have to restate the situation. I have been made numerous promises from reps. But still no wire transfer. I was told yesterday that I would be the reps only priority but she would be off the next two days. Comforting to know.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I have been an American Express Cardholder since 1984. My card was recently hacked and I learned about it in an email right before the charge went through. I notified amex and thought this site would be blocked from charging to my card. They didn't and the charge went through and amex told me they could only open an investigation. They said that my card would be shut down and a new card overnighted to me. The new card was not overnighted and when I called again they said there was nothing they could do but listen to the recording of the call. Now, I do not have my card and I am a loyal AMEX card member and make most of our purchases on the card. Customer service is a big issue and we are contemplating taking our business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Horrible customer service---a deceitful company with which takes every opportunity to deny you the benefits that you legitimately earned. Think twice before applying for any Amex cards or might deeply regret it...

American Express Platinum Card Company Information