Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

1 star rating for Amex is an overstatement. I have been a client of Amex for more than 15 years with impeccable track record. Amex Bahrain decided to lower the card limits for all Lebanese residents without informing their clients. In the middle of a trip I tried to use my card to discover that my limit was reduced by more than 80%. They didn’t try to inform me of the decision and when I contacted them they didn’t try to fix the problem. This issue happened on the corporate card as well. They stopped it without informing my corporation while many associates were already on business trip. They were left stranded. We had to transfer money to the bank to settle their bills.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Cancelled my card in April, received a bill in August and have note written on bill "Called 8/5/19, resolved". Received bill in November, have note written on bill "Called 11/21/19, resolved" plus TWO confirmation numbers. Received bill in January (just now) that said "Last Warning". 98 minutes and five people later it is "resolved" again. All three times required multiple transfers. Was frustrated that since I have been told two previous times it had been resolved, I would prefer to talk to a manager and it was not until they had four people listen to the same story and not be able to fix it that I got a manager. At this point, really glad I cancelled my card and just crossing my fingers this time it worked.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

The customer service agent I spoke with ended up canceling my original card and shipping a replacement card without my request or authorization. She didn’t even tell me she had canceled the card. I called Amex who admitted to causing the problem, but couldn't do anything to help remedy their mistake. This situation created delays that ended up costing me well over a thousand dollars.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I received an email last year stating I qualified for the Bonvoy American Express and 100,000 points for Marriott. I paid my $450 and did my $5000 in the allotted time and NEVER received points OR anything stating I didn't qualify. I also had an overcharge with a car rental - $75 was charged $224 for insurance. WHY would I purchase insurance when AMEX covers it! They sided with the car rental!! Never again! Save those crazy fees. So many other cards with less fees or free, give much better service.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I called AMEX customer service about ways to get enough Delta MQMs to qualify for Gold Medallion in 2019. The agent suggested that I upgrade my Delta SkyMiles Platinum AMEX card to a Delta SkyMiles Reserve card, which has a more than double annual fee, but he claimed would allow me to get an additional 5000 MQMs for 2019 which would be enough to achieve Gold Medallion status in 2019. So I agreed, and upgraded my card. But so far, I have not received the promised 5000 MQMs. When I called AMEX to check on this a few weeks ago, I was told that what the agent told me was incorrect, and that I would not get the 5000 MQMs. AMEX would refund the extra annual fee that I paid, but otherwise could not do anything to honor what I had been promised. I opened a dispute and was told that they would listen to the recording of the call with the agent, and that I would hear back in 1 to 2 weeks. But I have not heard anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Does not honor promotion offers. AMEX ran a promotion last March for 100k Marriott Bonvoy points after $5K spend. I accomplished over $10K spend in the required time frame but afterwards claimed that the sign up was not “tied” to the promotion even though the email was offered as proof. Have called several times to resolve, but they use delay tactics, and close the complaint without communication. Terrible service. Canceling account after 20 years of having an open account.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have a membership since date of 1980 with American Express. I spent over $300k with Amex in 2019 and 2018. I cannot wait to discard my Platinum card. The customer service of the American Express staff has been rude, apathetic and flippant. The worst employee I dealt with was Andrea (employee **). She clearly hasn’t been trained properly and/or is incompetent. I called to complain about a negative experience and she was not interested in hearing about it. Instead she let me know that “Amex is worth the fee and has terrific benefits.” Her manager Casey ** is also useless. He seems to be dodging my calls and has no desire to resolve this or retain me as a client. I would recommend steering clear of American Express, unless you prefer awful customer service. They are an embarrassment.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

American Express cancelled my card for stopping payment when I accidentally made a payment for too much. My credit score is 750 and I have been making my payments on time. I have been with Amex for 21 years. The unbelievable thing is they revoked my 70,000 points I had. I hate this company with a passion and will do so for the rest of my life. Any credit card is better than this company. ** you Amex.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Denied with a score of 680, 700, 714 with a 90% approval through Experian. If I did not see it on Credit Karma also I wouldn’t have applied. After getting denied went to Capital One and got approved for a $5000 credit limit. Good luck.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I have 2 platinum cards through American Express. Out of the 12 credit cards I own, I hate using them the most. American Express constantly locks me out of my account so I can’t make a payment and have to call and be on the phone for nearly an hour during my lunch break to get my account unlocked again. Then, even though I’ve jumped through hoops to make every payment on time and have one card paid off, they send me an email that they’ve lowered the credit limit on my other card by almost half!

I put a larger business purchase on that card during Black Friday and got my credit limit lowered the following day, affecting my credit score by 19 points. Afterwards they had the audacity to send another email saying I am getting close to my credit limit now and need to make a payment to lower my balance. Worst creditors I have ever dealt with. With one annual fee of over $500 and another at $195, I cannot wait to pay off the second card and cancel both of them so that I never have to deal with American Express again.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information