Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

4.0/5 (1387 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Being a avid traveler for work and pleasure the Amex card provides me with ample opportunities to trace more, earn more miles on things I buy every day and also gives me peace of mind against fraud. The fact that I’m able to gain Delta points on buying groceries and through end of July if I shop at local stores they are giving me 4x the points makes the card great but they are also promoting shopping small.

Original review: July 19, 2021

After leaving an abusive marriage, and trying to turn my life around, then Covid hits. Without notice, AmEx took my BUSINESS account and reported it to my PERSONAL account as a collection. The last payment was in May, and they did this in July. We have had an excellent relationship with AmEx and always paid on time. Covid severely affected our business income, losing 75% of our business. My personal credit was great. They now have caused a more than 100 point drop on my report.

After contacting the AmEx credit bureau department, as well as the 3rd party collection agency (all day being sent back and forth with no help or answers, except that, "you need to pay the balance off") the 3rd party rep actually had to audacity to say to me, "once you pay this debt you can re-establish a relationship with AmEx as you are a valued customer". Is he insane? After they've done this to me, AND ruined my credit score? DO NOT even think about signing up with this company. I wish I never had. By the way, it's a Plum card, not a platinum card. I tried to change your line at the top.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I applied for the Hilton hotel credit card with American Express on May 9th, 2021 since the welcome bonus offer looks good to me and I got it approved on the same day. I received my credit card on May 18th, 2021. As per the welcome bonus offer, if I spend $1000 in first 3 months, I will be eligible to receive 80,000 bonus points and if I spend $6000 in 6 months, I will be eligible to receive an additional 50,000 bonus points. Since I was already planning for a family trip, I used this credit card to book my trip and used it for grocery shopping and to purchase other household items as well. By June 18th, 2021, I was able to meet the minimum eligibility to receive a total of 130,000 bonus points and my billing cycle was also reached.

I eagerly waited till June 29th, 2021, but since I still didn’t receive the bonus points, I called the American Express customer care number. Customer care executive on the phone assured me that they have opened a case for me, and back office will work on my case soon. I waited for another week and called them up again, but I got the same answer that back office is still working on the case, and I will a resolution soon.

This continued till July 16th, 2021, when at last they told me your case has already been closed and as per back office investigation you are not eligible to receive a bonus offer. I asked them why? They told me you since closed one of the American Express credit one year back you are not eligible. I said, why your website didn’t provide me that information and I closed my credit card in COVID-19 time since I was not travelling and so I didn’t want to pay unnecessary credit card fee. Then I asked them if I can talk to their supervisor. They directed the call to supervisor.

I told the whole story to the supervisor. Supervisor asked me whether I saw any popup window saying that “You are not eligible to receive welcome bonus”. I said no, there was no such popup window on your website that would show the eligibility warning and had there been a warning I would have not applied for this card. I told them, had I used some another credit card to make purchases, I would have got a better cash back. They told me they can’t do anything at this moment. I never expect such an answer at least from a customer care supervisor.

American Express, a big international credit card company mislead their customers by providing false information. Their website doesn’t show the proper eligibility criteria. Their customer care and supervisors are not able resolve issues and say they can’t do anything at this moment. Such a big company is fighting for few bonus points.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I used to love my Amex platinum for lounge access and various other travel perks. Yesterday - my family's flight was canceled. Amex insisted it had not been cancelled. We went around in circles and got nowhere. At one point I was told I would need to remain on hold for up to an hour. I asked "can you call me back?" Nope. Can't do that. I have to sit on my phone. Overall I was on the phone for 3 hours. Nothing was accomplished. I hung up on them and will cancel my card when the balance is paid off.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Just spoke to Peggy ** from AMEX. She was very rude and did not understand the situation whatsoever. I was told by 5 reps (yes, 5 individual reps) that my account is cleared for a charge I was about to make. The charge was declined although I'd wired money to AMEX specifically for this charge. I called to check why it was declined, they advised me to split the payment into 2. I did that and it was declined again. I called them again and explained that if the charge doesn't go through I will incur fees since it's a long weekend. They said to try it again. Tried, declined. Called again and spoke with Peggy. She gave me some attitude, which I did not deserve, I did not yell, spoke respectfully. I am their client for about 12 years but no more. I am closing all my accounts with AMEX, business(es), and personal, and I advise you to do the same. If they are not there the 1 time in 5 years that I need them then what's the point.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I called to ask a question on a service from Kabbage, one of their mergers. The man (that might be too much of a word) said they are not related to that section and hang up!! So disrespectful!! He didn't even let me finish express the problem I was calling for.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I can survive without this card and can definitely do without the frustration. I received a new card, tried to follow the activation instructions and was still having issues 2 hours later. The website process asks for your card number and security number, then wants you to log in or create an account. My existing account login failed. I know my ID and password are correct but I try to reset the password anyway to just move ahead. The website tells me the system is down and can't reset my password. Which one is it? Bad credentials or a crashed service?

I call into the CS number on the back of the card and ask that question. I get someone who wants to verify my card but doesn't know where the various numbers are on the card (card number is NOT on the front of the card), argues with me, and wants to reset my password. "There's nothing wrong, these things just happen, I can't explain it, you just need to reset your password." I explain that resetting my password will only be an exercise in frustration if the system is down and ask again to check if there are system issues. I get more arguing and more insistence on resetting my password.

I ask for a supervisor. 15 minutes later I'm told there are no supervisors and they'll call me back within 24 hours. I assure the CSR that I can wait on the phone. Another 15 minutes later I get a supervisor who also wants to argue and reset my password. I eventually get her to actually listen and she realizes they have a technical issue, asks for a screenshot, and opens a ticket for the problem.

It shouldn't have taken over an hour to convince someone to look to see if there was an issue, I shouldn't have needed to escalate to a supervisor, and resetting my password without resolving the issue would have added to the frustration. For a financial organization that likes to promote itself as a premium brand, this was a dismal performance for a function that happens thousands of times a week.

Original review: April 9, 2021

It is not every day that a credit card company tries to dump its customers. But that is exactly what American Express is doing. They have this "Blue Cash Everyday" card that is just your basic credit card with some perks and no annual fee. This was a replacement for the Amex/Costco credit cards. After Costco gave Amex the boot, the Amex credit card became irrelevant. Merchants don't like American Express because they charge higher fees than other credit card companies and, consequently, there are a lot of places that do no take Amex cards. So American Express has decided to eliminate the no fee and card and replace it with one that has a $99 annual charge. Of course, in the long run this does not matter, cause in the not too distant future some conglomerate will swallow Amex. I would suggest AARP buy it since most of A E customers were born during WWII.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Almost zero value on this card since Covid, the platform for accounting, statements and excel is extremely poor, as is the travel section which shows hotels in results that are not available and is always higher priced than other companies. The airport lounges did provide value but they are 99% closed so where is the value? There isn't. I recently updated my bank account from BOA to Chase and Amex cancelled the autopay without notifying me then when I noticed my bill hadn't been paid they tried to say it was my fault. I have 3 years of paying my bill off every month. The benefits are weak, the service is awful, the financial platform is sub-par and their annual fee at 550. They won't budge even with no services available. Visa and mastercard are waiving a lot of their annual fees, I suggest Amex catch on. I for one will be moving my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I used to travel a bunch, but with COVID this is my 1st foreign travel in a year. What could have been a click of a button to change my seat, I had to call, wait for them to call me back for an hour, and when they did I had to wait another 15 min listening to horrendous music. I hung up. So my seat didn't record so I had to call but it's not a full flight. I'll be okay.

Now that the city I'm coming back from is on lockdown, I'm trying to come back from a difft city. To change that, I had to go through that again. So, while charting/working I waited. When customer service finally came, what could have taken me 2 minutes on a delta website or any other website, took us another 20 min while she put me on hold for 5 every time she had to look up something. When I pointed this out, she apologized. Nice lady, but come on! What she did for me I could have done in much less time with much less hassle. Really? Are we holding onto the antiquated system to give them a job instead of moving on as if it were 21st century? I can't believe I pay $550/yr for this. Oh, and the hours of operation in their airport lounges don't really let us use them. Something else to look forward to.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information