American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.09/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

American Express Platinum Card

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

1081 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I got a card and decided to let my daughter use the card. Payments made electronically. So in September my daughter made payment. They returned the payment and made a charge for the return. Then they found they made a mistake and fixed what they did. October comes and payment made. Payment was said to not be there. After messaging and a bunch of calls finally went paid. November payments made. Mobile app and internet sites both show it. But they're showing the credit limit as zero. After constant messaging and calls credit limit still at zero. I was told on messaging the reason is because of the problem in September.

They will not accept a picture from a bank account that shows the payment made. And now four days later still no available credit. They constantly say wait 24 to 48 hours for it to show. They want a call from the bank, etc. And on the mobile app shows zero credit available. On the internet site no credit available to look at. And shows payment made. Shows status as done. Shows balance with the amount paid. But zero credit available. Worst credit company I've ever dealt with. And all this because of the mistake they made. I'm going to pay this card off in time and then get rid of it. It's ridiculous to have to deal with this because of a mistake they made. My advice to others is there are many other credit companies. And after reading reviews on this one I would suggest you apply to another.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My wife received a promotion back in April or May 2017 for an American Express Delta Miles Gold Card: 60,000 miles for a spend of $3,000 in the first 4 months, $100 statement credit after a Delta purchase in the first 4 months, and elimination of the annual card fee. My wife has her own business and needed a card to start tracking those expenses on, and in addition we had some big expenses coming up so we knew it would be easy to meet the requirements of the promotion quickly. Sure enough she met the promotion criteria within the first month. We have still not received any of the promotion rewards. We have talked to customer service multiple times and while they acknowledge we qualified for the promotion and met all the requirements, we still have no rewards. They keep telling us the same thing..."We will file a report with the American Express promotions department"...and nothing happens.

The most recent call was earlier today and had the exact same results. In fact, the last time prior to this that I called, back on September 22, I was told that my account showed that the rewards were in process and that everything would be up to date by October 22. Well today is October 31 and nothing has changed. The woman Rona (#**; on the line from Manilla) gave me the exact same story. How long are we supposed to put up with this? I should say that I personally have two American Express cards...a Blue Cash that I use for business expenses and a Delta Miles Gold card that I use as one of my primary personal cards. Any help or advice in getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In May 2017, While booking a flight on Delta a credit card offer popped up for AMEX for 60,000 miles (after spending $6000 in 3 months) and a $100 statement credit after first Delta purchase. I decided to open the card and made my first Delta purchase on May 27 and met the $6000 spending requirement in July. I had such a frustrating experience trying to get my rewards. I can't wait to use them and then cancel AMEX forever!

After 6 weeks, I messaged AMEX and they told me they'd put in a ticket and that it sometimes takes 9 weeks to get the rewards and I should be patient. After 10 weeks I messaged them again and got the same story. I was told to be patient. By now it's September and 4 months after my first purchase and 3 months after I met the spending requirement.

In Sept I decided to call AMEX instead of IM this time and after speaking to a couple people one rep told me it was Delta's fault I haven't received the miles. AMEX said Delta hadn't released the miles and there was nothing AMEX could do. I asked for the number to Delta and I called them. I spoke to a very nice Delta agent who said that story was ridiculous and offered to do a 3-way call with me. After spending an hour on the phone with an AMEX supervisor and Delta, AMEX said it wasn't Delta's fault and he'd work my case. I had my miles in one day! So they can fix it and give you what's due you if they want.

In November I called AMEX and asked where my $100 statement credit was. Rep said I needed to be patient and I should have it by the end of the year! I said I needed it now and he processed the credit and it showed up in 2 days. I am so over AMEX and can't wait to use my miles and cancel the card!! I expected better out of a company like this. I like flying Delta so this is unfortunate.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

During Hurricane Harvey, AMEX decided it would be nice to waive the mandatory monthly payment requirement for some folks in the area impacted by the storm. That sounds great at first blush, but for those who made their payment, AMEX decided - purely on their own initiative - to allocate these payments to elements of the account that are not time sensitive. In other words, if there is a pay over time component, and a mandatory payment portion, the funds were allocated to the payment over time portion.

This sounds innocent, doesn't it? It is not. My card, paid on time and for the amount owed, is suspended because it is... Past due. I called customer service to address this, and they assured me that (1) I should be grateful for the favor they extended me and others in the area in the Hurricane impacted areas, and (2) my card will be reactivated immediately upon receipt of my past due payment. That is right - the amount I have already paid.

Now I had a hard time understanding the service agents because of their accent, and I admit I am a bit hard of hearing, but no matter how many times I listened to these fellows (yep - multiple layers of ineffective service) explain to me why it was my fault for making a payment when I did not have to do so, I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that my personal finances, and that of my small business, must suffer because a credit card company made a seemingly innocent and well-meaning gesture, but then punished me for having the audacity of paying my debt and defying their charitable narrative!!!

Despite numerous calls and repeated assurances my problem would be addressed in due time, I continue to receive calls and emails about my delinquency, my personal account is frozen, as well as that of my business. Of course, I recognize this matters not one scintilla to a corporate giant like American Express. Indeed, were I some captain of industry I could just resolve this with a swift click of the mouse and a transfer of funds from a checking account replete with funds - but I am not a captain of industry. I am an average fellow, working to build my average business, meet payroll, court new clients, service my old ones, and meet my financial obligations. Thanks AMEX. The card "designed for small business" is killing mine.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been an American Express customer for 20 years. I have been very delighted with their services until last year. There was a fire at my mother's Apartment in which I had to use my credit cards to purchase furniture, appliances and other household items that she need and with all the chaos I was late with one payment. American Express decreased my credit line and raised my APR due to the fact that they notice my use of credit has increased and I was late with one payment. I told the customer services rep. that by decreasing my credit limit will impact my credit score.

She was aware and gave me an option to pay 2k within the next 2 months in order for me to keep my credit line. I was angry to see a multibillion dollar business treat consumers like this. I couldn't believe it and the rest of my credit cards never has behave in this manner. On that same week I received a credit increase from one of my other credit cards. Funny, Amex claimed that most credit cards do business just like Amex... screwing consumers credit scores and raising APR. SHAME on YOU American Express!!!! Your business behavior sucks!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I opened an Amex Delta Card to earn the 60,000 bonus miles. I met the spend requirement in the first couple of billing cycles but my 60,000 bonus miles never posted. I called in to inquire. They confirmed that I met all the requirements and submitted a ‘ticket’ to investigate. Still no miles so I called again in September only to be told it is a known issue for people who applied during a certain time frame. I was told it should be resolved by the end of the month. I called in again in October to advise that the miles had not posted. Now I was told that they are working on an automatic fix which they can’t give any timeframe on.

They also are not willing or able to do a manual fix. They say the Amex is aware and not giving them any updates despite them asking every day. I was asked to be patient however I’ve already been patiently waiting for 4 months. This is unacceptable and now feels like a runaround. Amex does not value customer service and is not addressing their bonus mile blunder. I now view this as a scam since they know they are withholding thousands of miles promised to thousands of people and are not making it a priority to fix or even communicate with the customer. Don’t trust Amex on their sign up offers!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

This is a total scam - You have to be the primary card holder and even if you are the primary card holder you do not get to get a free bag in addition to the bags that your Delta status allows you to check. For example I am gold elite and entitled to 2 bags. I also have the Delta Platinum Amex card so I am entitled to a free bag for me and any traveling with me (they do not need a card) so if it were me and my husband we should get 4 bags right? NOPE! Only 3 bags. My husband is an additional card member and he cannot check a bag free with his card if I am not there. $195 a rip off! Save your money these cards have millions of loopholes. #DeltaAmexdotherightthing #readthefineprint #dontbothercallingtheydontcare

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

American Express Delta Skymiles card- I signed up for a card/account because I travel a lot now due to family moving to another coast and I haven't had a credit card for almost 10 years. So American Express had a great promo with 30,000 bonus miles, $50 rebate after 3 cycles and a minimum spending… And more. After 6 months I have yet to receive those benefits. I finally called and American Express told me they are aware there is a problem and they are working on it to check back in 3 MONTHS! I feel I have been scammed. I am not going to cancel because that is some real money and benefits we are talking about but when and if they ever honor their promo, I am going to cancel. This is simply amazing they are admitting they're not giving people what they signed up for in writing.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I have always paid on time and pay the balance. My payment is due on the 13th and I paid on the 13th and even received an email Payment Received on the 13th. I did my Quicken on Monday and had a late charge of $27.00, I called and after 10 mins of hearing that they didn't process it until the 14th. I told her that's not my fault they were a day late!!! She finally waived it. So today I do my Quicken, there's a $7.58 Interest charge!!! I called again, the girl says, "Ok I'll see if I can waive the late charge." (She did have broken English and didn't understand too well). Finally she saw the Interest and said your payment was a day late and we can't take it off. Needless to say I'm going to start using my Visa & Master cards. I am so done with AM Express.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Anyone who has been through the fraud protection side of Bluebird will understand how frustrating it is to have a large chunk of money on hold for an excessive amount of time, especially when the initial deposit was cash. They can legally lock-down your money for 135 days, but that is the absolute maximum and at that point can close the account and refund you via check or replace the credit if they cannot show decisive proof of why.

With their primary CSR center in the Philippines, it is staffed with barely multi-lingual personnel who become deer in headlights immediately their scripting is broken, you might as well said "Squirrel". However, they know how to say comforting phrases. "We are here to help you", "I am trying to help you". Want to vent a little, ask them how they are helping because I only see the problem made worse by their insanely inefficiency and ineptitude. Bluebird is the definition of everything wrong with AMEX and why most business do not accept their draconian terms of service and excessive merchant fees.

This Bluebird/AMEX crap has got to end. Please remind people to avoid companies who perpetrate the types of reprehensible mis-management responsible for the market crashes and misery realized. It's all about the money leverage, holding large chunks of money under the guise of protecting you is last century and arcane. But that is why there is no other way to contact Bluebird AMEX except USPS and phone. For that reason alone Bluebird AMEX should be disqualified from consideration by everyone.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Had unauthorized charges to my account. Was told a block would be put on the account to be later told a block had never been put on it. The company that did the charges claimed that I signed a contract (FRAUD) and American Express charged the disputes back to my account and participated in the Fraud doing nothing to help. When I asked to talk to the dispute department I was told no one talks to them. If you think you are protected from Fraud with American Express I can tell you that you aren't but they will help companies commit Fraud against their customers. I now do not trust them! Thanks Lisa for nothing!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I'm a small business and had to pay a large amount to be a part of a show that would make me $120,000 yearly. Twice they said they would approve the transaction and twice it was denied. The show is now letting me know my status is potentially revoked. Wow... They say they offer 5-star service yet they have possibly cost me more loss than any bad business move I have made which officially makes them the worst decision I made as a businessman in 10 years. Bravo American Express... Bravo.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have had a dozen cards in my life of 20 year with a credit history and currently have four. These run the gamut of Discover, Visa, Mastercard and American Express. I had the Blue cash Amex card for 14 years and Macy's Amex card and my credit score, currently at 740, has never dipped below 700. Because the Macy's card is used infrequently, I had it set to auto payments and would double check it just in case when I thought about it. I bought a $14 bow tie in 2014 at Macy's and Amex went rigid claiming that I was 30 days late, my fault, spiking a 2 percentage interest rate, onto the Blue Cash card and stained my credit score on the Macy's card for the next seven years. All of my other cards never budged their interest rates and were accommodating over a missed payment of amounts way less paltry sums given my track record of years of reliability. It’s an insane penalty to pay for an overpriced piece of Macy's clothing.

Calling Amex customer service went nowhere and the account manager (not customer service call center) seemed to go out of her way to return my call when I specifically left VM instructing her that I did not have access to my mobile during the times she was trying to call. Seriously, there is nothing redeeming about doing credit business with this company as they lag far behind the other big three in caring whether or not their customers stay or go, so much that you can call the customer service line and kill your account outright without even speaking to a human being.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I received an offer to upgrade my American Express Gold card to platinum with a 25000 mile bonus if you upgraded by a certain date and spent $2000 within 90 days. I called the number provided and after 2 weeks nothing happened. So I checked my gold account and there was no change. The chat box came up and I explained what happened and they upgraded the card. The card was upgraded within the allotted time and the spend was within the time limit. The miles never appeared. I called customer service and gave them all the info including the promo code and everything I had.

Three months later after repeated calls they told me I could not get the offer because I upgraded using the chat feature. I asked for a supervisor and got the same story. NOWHERE in the promotion did it say you could not upgrade using chat. Even with all the codes and fine print and meeting every criteria set, they would not give the miles. In fact they told me to cancel the card and apply again when a promotion came along to get what they promised. American Express should not be able to make offers they do not keep. They should not be trusted. Oh the fees for the upgrade, those were processed in 24 hours.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

All bonus point requirements were met by us in mid-May. After many phone calls, it is now mid-September and we were just told it could be another 6 weeks before we receive our points. This is TOTALLY unacceptable! Don't bother with American Express. They are a company of deception.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have Gold Business and Personal Blue. Be careful with the business card. Never been late and pay off the balances on both cards. But occasionally they suspend your business card and also personal card along with it. I have auto payments. Keeps getting declined because of it.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Several of my friends and family convinced us to apply for the American Express Platinum card for all the incredible benefits that are attached to the card. The most appealing benefit to us was the availability of a companion fare on several airlines with a purchase of a fare. The day before I registered for the card, the card fee went from $450 to $550 which was a ridiculous fee but, stomached the fee due to the amount we would save on the companion fare. Fast forward several months, we are now ready to purchase our tickets to Europe and unbeknownst to us (no notification from AmEx!), they changed the rules and now offer only a "discount"!

The price quoted us for the flights was astronomical, even with the discounts. I went on Expedia and found comparable fares at a fraction of the quote from AmEx! We are furious that they took my money and then changed the rules. We had an America Express card through Costco for many years and thought it would be nice to continue with the company. However, we will be canceling our card and will make sure to let everyone we know that American Express is definitely not the card to have in your wallet anymore!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This is the worst card. The charges are super high. Most stores don't want to take it because it charges them too much. The miles or the rewards is one of the lowest in the industry and God forbid someone steals your info and you want to do a dispute. Good luck. They make it super hard to do a dispute. They transfer you back and forward. Every time you speak to someone you would have to restart and explain yourself all over again. I think it's done on purpose after you explain your story over and over then they want to ask you for all kinds of documents and then after all that when you have no choice but to chase all these documents down and try to upload them it says document type not supported on this website. It's just BS. I had never ever had an issue like this with my other credit cards. No wonder Costco dropped them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Blue is the correct color for this card... I am blue in the face and tired of dealing with the incompetence of this organization. There is nothing American about this company at all. The customer service is handled overseas by Un-Americans taking jobs away from our country. The customer service department I worked with, took over an hour to correct a transaction error, falsely reported a payment 30 past due, destroyed my relationships with my other creditors as a result of false reporting.

English is a second language for this department and the service provider could not understand the reason for the call. They did correct the false credit report but as a result of their error a cascade of letters were sent out to all my creditors in which several of my lines of credits that were over 10k are reduced to $500.00 and it is taking me hours on the phone to correct their error. They have done nothing to reestablish the credit lines and the relationships with my other credit card companies that they destroyed. Not a good company at all!!! Unfortunately there is no recourse to fine them for the damage they have caused me!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I had an American Express Green Card and a Delta SkyMiles Card. I used the American Express Green card to handle a recurrent charge for a referral site that generated most of my business. They initially allowed me to charge $6500 which was paid off timely. Then I noticed that the amounts that they were approving were changing month to month. When I inquired, I was told that it was an algorithm and they could not tell me what would be available each month. I had an issue with whether the charge would be covered, so I had to use a different card and pay that off.

This ran me behind with American Express about the same time that I had a dip in revenue. The Delta Skymiles card was kept current. I made payments and was told that American Express would work with me. I paid off the card and was promptly told that both of my cards were cancelled, even the one that had never had a late payment. I found them to be dishonest in their representations and it also appears that one of the bases for cancellation was the dip in credit score caused by the late payments on the Green Card. I can understand cancelling the Green card, but was quite upset at the cancellation of a card that had never been late.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On February 13, I was attempting to purchase 4 tickets to "War Paint" through the Ticketmaster site. I was bounced to another, predatory resale site, Ticket Fulfillment Service of DE, and, and unbeknownst to me, was sold tickets at double face value, plus a $300 service charge. I took the complaint to American Express and was told that the problem would be investigated. Then, the telephone agent suggested that I purchase tickets through their Concierge service instead. Under the impression that Amex would cancel the fraudulent charge, I did indeed purchase tickets through them. I have now had 6 case numbers, and finally spoke with the Executive Office yesterday, only to find that my claim has been denied. So I ended up with two sets of tickets, for the same night because the Amex agent led me to believe that the first set would indeed be refunded.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I book a hotel through AMEX months ahead of the stay and then got bumped to a different city. I got charged twice for the room and have talked to many supervisors at AMEX who have yet to help me. I have stayed on hold for hours and my family had to change in a public bathroom before going to dinner. I only spend about 10k a month and have been a member for over 30 years. Poor, poor management!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I understand the need to verify identity but American Express after 6 months as a customer has asked me to validate my identity. I had charged and paid off thousands of dollars during the 6 months. Anyway they declined a transaction at a grocery store and when I called them they said they needed to send me a text and just read back the number. I did so and thought all was ok. Next day, I try to use the card and they decline it again. So I call American Express and they want to call me on my home number. Obviously if I am away from the house I can not answer my home number. So they say they will leave a code on my answering machine and call back and everything will be ok. When I get home I do that and they said all is ok. So then overnight I get an email stating that I had 15 days to prove my identity and I need to call fraud prevention. So I call them and they start asking me for the full credit card number of another bank card.

That seemed strange to me but finally I did that. However they said that they would need me to fill out a form, notarize it and send back. So the next two days the secured site would not work and I had to finally get the form another way. I go to the UPS store with my passport and drivers license and have the form notarized and pay 10 dollars. Well that is still not good enough. They said that they will only accept a notary stamp from a bank. The problem is I live in south Florida and my bank is Capital One 360 which does not have a branch in south Florida. I explain that to them and state that in Florida all notaries are bonded and bound by the same rules and that having bank notarize the form does not provide any additional verification, they said sorry that it has to be a bank notarizing the form. I have went to 4 banks and none of them are willing to do it for a non customer.

In fact Suntrust would notarize for non customers but not this particular form because it is stating that the notary is liable if there is any fraud. So I have no idea how to get them a bank notarized form. I ask them why they Have this policy but they can't answer me. They just say it's their policy. To make matters worse they are condescending to me by telling me they have millions of Florida cardholders and nobody else has this problem. Excuse me but what they are asking for is unfair as I have wasted gas and money and time trying to get what they want.

I ask them if they could recommend a bank that would work with me and of course they had no idea. I feel like I am being treated with a lack of respect and they are asking for something no other credit card asks for when verifying identity. Why after 6 months this is now an issue. Very frustrated and disappointed because the card itself is great and I have a 10k credit limit which by far is my largest. I have a little over a week before they close the account so hopefully I can find a bank to work with me or at least maybe I can setup a bank account in person and then they will notarize the form.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have done business with AMEX for more than 25 years. I build new companies, and bring AMEX in usually as the corporate card. I also use them extensively for personal use with my family. Over the years, I have always been impressed with the professionalism and efficiency with which they carried out the task and conducted business. Travel, concert tickets, gifts, fraud issues, and recommendations. As an executive I would point to AMEX as the benchmark example of customer support. I believed that they truly cared about their customers. At this point, I can confirm through many many examples that they in fact, have zero interest in the customer. They are interested in customer selection, minimizing losses, and if someone doesn't play ball, they are quick to make life challenging for you, further, they will do so skirting various legal restrictions.

Having been with AMEX for many years as I build new companies from the ground up, recently I suffered some mental illness similar to PTSD. Being the driven, healthy father and business guy I am, I was dismissive, and simply thought a month or two off would solve the problem. Well a couple months turned into 12, and then 18. As my reserves of cash were becoming tighter, I one day spoke to a customer support person and described my problem, and that cash flow was becoming more challenging. I asked if AMEX had any programs for people in my situation to spread out the balance. The answer was "No Sir. We provide you the privilege of having some revolving credit on behalf of the company. It's not our job to handle your spending problem." I was shocked by the tone he took with me, and countered with "Well I could declare personal bankruptcy tomorrow, and then where would you be?" The conversation ended shortly after.

However the following week, the company lowered the amount of money I could have outstanding, and they also shortened the timeframe of how long a purchase could be outstanding. The effect of this caused me to come out of pocket with major money. While I had been paying $1,200 to $2,000 a month, I was receiving bills for $7,000, $14,000 and more. As you can imagine, this was exasperating my financial problem and unexpectedly. With two children in college, this was devastating. Despite many calls to AMEX, I could not get anyone who would help me. Lots of happy talk, and asking how they can help, but in the end, they just wanted their money. They had decided I, someone who normally makes in excess of $400,000 a year, was a bad credit risk, and wanted their money out fast!

Inside a six month period, I paid out to AMEX over $60,000. In return I still get daily calls harassing me for the remaining $8,000. Their only answer is to put me in a 36 month program where they will "Give me the privilege" of having a card at the end. All the while they will ding my credit. How difficult would it be to create a program whereby a consumer could work this balance down over a longer period of time? All the while AMEX would be making money on the interest fees collected.

Here I have brought AMEX into 8 different companies as the corporate card carrying huge cash flows. I've done business with them for more than 25 years, and in my momentary short term financial crisis, which they exasperated, they are harassing me for the last few bucks. I've never in my career seen a complete absence of reasonable thinking, and my inability to escalate as is appropriate. Answers like "There's nobody who can do anything," prevail as well as an attitude of shaming the customer for creating this situation. I have created companies with a joint market value of over 30 billion dollars, and investors have trusted me with over $250 million dollars of investment funds. Yes I'm hamstrung with some medical challenges at the moment, but I haven't lost my business acumen. I have tried to avoid shedding any light on this because of the personal nature, and my personal shame associated with this.

But the realization that this amazingly well run company, actually has no soul left in it was shocking. I understand the need to drive company performance, however arrogance and disdain for your customers is not what we teach in business school, nor is it the attitude shared by America's most successful CEOs. The attitude that to have an American Express card is somehow a status symbol, and something people yearn for is a joke! One piece of plastic is no different than the next. All that matters is the terms, rates, and customer service. It's that simple, and with this new knowledge, it's clear to me, a very successful entrepreneur, that the long term outlook for AMEX is weak.

As for my personal plight with AMEX, I have decided to not pay the balance and to suffer the consequences of my credit score, and whatnot. I'll see them in court, and it will be much more than a debt collection discussion. It will be one of the misuse of personal information, acting on subjective data and hearsay, and the total lack of interest in helping a quality customer who has brought them business 1000 times over what my account is worth.

This is a classic business case students would work through at Harvard or other business school MBA programs. I know because I lecture at two of the top schools in the country. But this one will be a sad story of consumers being treated poorly for the betterment of the company. If they do it to me, then there's not many people they would spare. So my message is this, go elsewhere. Find banks and financial institutions that are culturally aligned with customer care. For me, I have a new side project, which will be to write the comprehensive case study on AMEX. It won't solve my issues, but it might be a worthwhile distraction. I think it will be titled "How arrogance destroyed one of America's greatest companies."

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I received an email about the American Express Delta platinum card and an offer for 70,000 miles if I signed up. I then called American Express to ensure that I was eligible for the offer as I already had another American Express card. I was told over the phone that I was eligible for the offer (after the representative confirmed with her coworker) and decided to sign up over the phone as that was something they could do. I then spent more than $4,000 dollars in the first 3 months, which was the requirement to get the bonus miles of 70,000 miles. 2 months after the miles were not in my account yet, so I decided to call to check what happened. I was then told that the person that filled out my application via phone did something wrong and I was told now that I wouldn't get the points. I'm really disappointed as the only reason I signed up for the new card was due to the offer.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

American Express cancelled 4 of my credit cards that I have had since 1980 i.e. for 37 years without warning or cause. I have never been late for a payment in all that time. In addition, American Express refused to issue 60,000 rewards points credit for purchases that I had made saying they would not since they cancelled the accounts. Also, I had 900,000 in unused saved-up American Express Rewards points that they said I had to immediately use or lose. My only recourse is arbitration because of the cardholder agreement they make us all agree to. To do this I have to pay upfront the arbitrator's cost and possibly the costs of the Amex lawyers as well. Some system! Crooks!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have a Platinum Business American Express card. As I'm an entrepreneur, I was saving it for emergencies, which meant that I used it infrequently. I had a $25,000 credit line. Then, the day that I charged a $2,700 computer to it, they cut the credit line to $1,000. I was in shock. I called AmEx and they said it was because my credit score declined. I asked them to look at the credit score for me that is presented online with my card information - my credit score had actually increased! The bottom line is that I do not trust American Express. I would recommend that individuals and business owners stay away from this company. Citibank and Chase are much more willing to help their customers. And, I'm sure that others are also willing to help, but I don't have experience with them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Blue Chip Everyday Cash Card - You're a big disappointment. I would never use your card again. And I highly recommend everybody not to use this card because the support team is nothing but crap. Also the single star that appears. Is because I had to. You're not even with that star.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

American Express NEVER sent a bill to my house. I got a company card which never confirmed in email (so it shouldn't be activated). It is just as I got it and it is still stuck on the paper with the security tape across the top of the card (never called the number to activate it). I was waiting to travel for the company before actually activating this card. Since I never confirmed I got it at the house or activated the card, there should be no bill. If there was a bill you think American Express would mail TO MY HOUSE a bill... I never got a bill... 7 months later I get a collection agency calling me. American Express is the sneakiest bunch of ** that should NEVER classify themselves as professionals. I will never EVER get another card from these ** or suggest anyone does.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

AVOID THIS CARD!!! --- BOYCOTT American Express!!! I tried their Plum card for almost a year and found trying to get the 1.5% cash back was so policy and software restrictive I had to fight them to honor it almost every month. Even with paying the balance off in full each month! You have to do this manually as they hope you'll forget their narrow qualifying time window and their e-site won't even allow you to auto pay the balance within the qualifying window! And as that is not enough, they hit you with a huge annual card fee (if you're stupid enough to not catch it prior to the 1st anniversary date or smart enough to close the card before then).

Oh, and on closing the card, I asked the representative how much cash back I would get for the final payment and was led to believe you can deduct that from the final payment to zero out the card and receive your 1.5% due. Turns out they require you to pay 100% of the balance due on closing the account. So, in the end, they cheated me out of a fairly large cash back that was due on a mere technicality. It's no wonder Costco dumped these people and so many vendors refuse to take AMEX!

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information