Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
American Express Platinum Card
3.77/5

American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1260 American Express Platinum Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been with them for over 10 years and it has been a terrific experience. I wanted to add another card with a low interest rate and no yearly fee and this fit me 6 years after my divorce and I was rebuilding my credit. I also enjoyed the points as it has helped me buy a Weber grill and building supplies for our house through Home Depot gift cards. My wife lost her wallet a couple years ago and because the members have separate numbers they did not have to cancel my card and the new card arrived in about 3 days! Also last year twice I had a weird $1 charge on Google Play and I am on an iPhone so they reversed the charges. I am an AmEx member for life.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had an issue with Amex Platinum offer - I was supposed to get 10% back from Amex if I purchase from Nordstrom Rack, which I did but the order was processed by Hautelook (owned by Nordstrom) so Amex refused to give me 10% back. At first, I called up and complained and Amex could not help me, however, they said they would look into it. Two weeks later, they actually did look into this issue and corrected the problem for us. I got my 10% back in my account!! It was obviously the Amex Marketing's misleading advertisement but I'm sure they received quite a few complaints on this offer and eventually Amex listened to the customers. I respect that Amex realized its fault and corrected the issue. I have been with Amex more than 20 years and this was the only issue I ever encountered with them, and had a happy ending for us. I'm sure I will be the Platinum member for many more years.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

American Express are one of my favourite companies - the customer service is always fantastic and, if you learn enough about how the cards work, the benefits are brilliant! I like them so much most of my blog is about earning reward points!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I agree with a lot of the negative reviews because they are true and accurate about dealing with American Express. My recent bad experience with this company happened last week. To make a long story short after checking out of the Ritz Carlton because of terrible service I went to the Four Seasons Hotel to check in, and my Starwood Preferred Card (Marriott Bonvoy) was declined twice so, I called Amex. The agent told me I only have $79.00 available. I was horrified and shocked!

This bad management company dropped my available balance down by $7500.00 for no reason without even notifying me. I have never missed, paid late and I pay more than is required. Amex they offered me a chance to appeal on the phone with one caveat. If I pay $1170.00 by October 8, 2019 they would put my limit back to where it originally was. I am going to do better than that - I am going to pay off all Amex cards and close all accounts. I do not need Amex cards. This company can go bankrupt. I wouldn't lift a finger to help it. By the way Warren Buffet has a huge investment in this company!!

Original review: July 29, 2019

American Express no longer backs their customers on disputes. I recently bought tickets to a baseball game from Viagogo. I received tickets unknowingly for the wrong date. Drove over 4 hours to find out they sent me tickets for the wrong date which I couldn't use. Obviously it was Viagogo that made the error. I disputed it with both Viagogo and American Express and neither Company admitted to the mistake. I am therefore out $111.33 for the tickets plus travel expenses! Don't expect American Express to help with disputes! RS

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 28, 2019

Rented a car in Iceland this spring and decided to pay with my Platinum Card because I remembered that the card includes auto rental coverage when paying with this card. We had a little fender bender which resulted in a claim. Amex paid only for the damages, and not for another $680 in administrative fees and loss of use fees. Amex will tell you that these fees may be covered if supported by documentation, but when the rental car company shows you their small print that says that they are not obligated to provide documentation to support these charges then you will find yourself in a loophole. And that’s how you get stuck with charges that you thought would be covered. Amex should be more truthful in selling this as a limited policy. Very disappointed in this classic case of insurance trickery!

Original review: July 24, 2019

Applied for a received the AMEX Platinum Card as I was drawn to the low-interest rate and concert perks. Within two months they raised my limit substantially. It wasn't until I made a large purchase a few months later that I realized they arbitrarily lowered the limit without informing me at all. Ridiculous. As a side-note the customer service seems neutered and uninspired no matter what you call about, it's almost like everything is scripted. If you want to be embarrassed or stranded at a checkout - choose this card and company.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I have been a customer with AMEX since 2013 and never had a problem before, recently they reduce my limit because I used the platinum with 30k, which I have been doing this for many years.. I have a very good credit rating, never miss a payment ever. I have over 150k in revolving credit and many many mortgage on my credit. I paid off the balance as normally and they still asking me for Documents that prove my income... Very disappointment with this company. Never happened to me with any other company. Stay away!!!!

Original review: July 24, 2019

We are a small business that uses American Express as our only business credit card. I recently learned that there is a security issue within American Express resulting in the inability to download transactions into our bookkeeping software, as we have been doing for years. And, I was appalled to hear that this issue will take American Express 4 to 8 weeks to correct! This is completely unacceptable, especially for a company like AMEX. What is the story??

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have had a horrible experience with American Express regarding my Delta skymiles account. After six phone calls, and online chats with customer service I have received SIX different answers to my problem...none of which were helpful. I understand if there are rules...BUT the customer service team should have consistant rules and NOT different rules from each representative. I am completely unable to resolve my issues because no one seems to know the correct rules pertaining to my skymiles account. I was told to contact Delta, which I did, and Delta said that they had nothing to do with it, only American Express could help. Well, apparently not. It is a nightmare.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information