American Express Platinum Card (amex)
American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.53/5
Based on 107 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Express Platinum Card

Last updated: May 17, 2018

1136 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2018

I received a letter from Amex stating my application for the above noted card type (Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card) was denied. I have never applied for this card and told the customer service rep that I was reporting them. They did not and never had my permission to apply for a credit card under my name. Shame on American Express, fraud!!

Original review: May 17, 2018

Opened the account and was given the impression that if I did a balance transfer from my Visa, I'd get extra points. Almost two weeks later, balance hadn't been transferred, so to avoid interest charges, I paid off the Visa. Called AmEx to ask what happened with the balance transfer and to let them know that I'd paid the card off. The call took almost an hour at which point I was told that they had already put the request through their company. I told them to cancel it because I'd already paid off the card. They said they couldn't and that I would have to give them $1,000 and then I'd get a credit from Visa and I'd have to call them to get a refund.

They said that when I didn't get a confirmation from them, I should have called them. My position is that if they instantly issued me a card based on good credit, the balance transfer should have been instant, and if not, then an e-mail or notification in the mail to advise me that the transfer was in process would have been courteous and standard. I shouldn't have had to chase them down to find out the status. I figure if they are the premier credit card company, I should get better customer service, and since they have yet to pay the other card, there is no reason to issue a payment on what is now a zero balance--the hit of a button would cancel a payment that hasn't been made. I told them I was going to cancel the card immediately.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I must have been confused when I received this card, I have had it for about 4 months, used it frequently to earn the extra points. I am now getting phone calls that I am delinquent and need to pay the full amount. They have told me that my credit report will be affected if I cannot pay the entire 2500 (includes $550 yearly fee). I explained to them that I was under the impression that this was a credit card and that I could make monthly payments like my other cards. I was wrong. I also have another AMEX card that they say will be affected by this and likely canceled. I applied for the card to increase my credit score, now it has ended up lowering it. I am more than frustrated and feel completely hopeless. Save yourself some head/heartache and don't get this card.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I upgraded my Gold card to a platinum card by using the offer I received in the mail which was for 25,000 reward points for upgrading. I had a RSVP code of and a call in code on the letter. I called in to make the upgrade and was assured that the reward points would be applied. You can imagine my surprise weeks later when the points were still not credited to the account. I called in and opened a case and they have not resolved it after 8+ weeks. They said that they cannot find a copy of the letter that THEY SENT ME with the offer and so they won't credit the points. Here's the kicker. Having dealt with this company before, I kept a copy of the letter and took down the name and extension of the person I spoke with.

STILL they cannot seem to resolve it. They could however charge me the upgraded fee of $550 a year for this sloppy service. That seemed to go through just fine. However holding up their end of the agreement seems to be a struggle... This is unacceptable. Clearly a bait and switch. I remember seeing online the promotion for 25,000 points if you upgraded as well. It should NEVER take 8 weeks for them to fix their mistake and four calls to supervisors to inquire as to the status and to fix their mistake. There are dozens of similar stories online about reward points just magically never getting credited to people's accounts and the struggle with Amex to get it fixed. Someone needs to hold this company accountable for their business practice

Original review: April 26, 2018

Amex is going down the drains in customer service. I have been a card member for over 18 years and I am done with them. After paying $725 a year as annual membership fees for my Platinum Card, they cannot even deliver a card in 24 hrs. In the good old days, you could order a replacement card in the afternoon from Mon to Fri and it would be guaranteed delivered to your doorstep by next day. I requested a replacement card on Monday noon and today is Thursday and the card has not been delivered. When I called, the Rep said a card replacement has been initiated yesterday (Wed which is two days after I requested) but did not know if the card was mailed, had no tracking number and could not tell when the card is delivered. This is how far Amex servicing has slipped. It's sad and pathetic!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: April 26, 2018

The rewards, easy to accumulate miles. Very convenience to use the services provide. If you have the chance, get it, use it! I am very happy with the service!

Original review: April 25, 2018

We use this card as often as possible to rack up points and has done well for us for many years, the only real drawback is that a lot of small businesses will not accept it because of the higher fees.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Love the card! Just wish more places would accept it but your vendor rates for small businesses make it impossible. Please consider changing this. Otherwise customer service is outstanding.

Original review: April 22, 2018

We applied while stationed overseas. Our neighbors applied - got their cards - no problem. For us (the military family) they wanted us to jump through hoops over and over and it was our responsibility to keep checking in with them. They took no initiative to stay communicate back with us. Terrible customer service. Inconvenient operating hours and the call center are not native English speakers. I couldn't understand them at all.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I accumulated over 300,000 membership rewards points over 6 years before leaving my company at year end. Further, I have had an AMEX card since 1994, charging perhaps $1 million of charges over such time. I called 39 days after leaving my company and was told that Amex “policy” was to wipe out all miles after 30 days. No exceptions. I appeal to national office in NYC and am rudely told the same thing. So let me get this straight. I charge over $300,000 worth of goods/services on the card over 6 years never making a late payment and accumulating 309,000 membership rewards points and Amex STEALS them because I’m 9 days late redeeming.

Instead of offering some compromise, they rudely tell me I get NOTHING. Not one penny. Anyone on the planet think this is how to treat a customer since 1994? I am promptly cancelling my personal AMEX and will never use Amex again. Strongly recommend all others who read my thread follow my lead! #AMEX_Sucks #howNOTtoTREATaCUSTOMER.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I'm a new client to Amex however I get my card today and I activate it. I go shopping for the business. 1st chg ok., 2nd ok, 3rd fraud lock. I call and verify and it's ok. I try 3rd purchase again locked. I call again. They want additional verification. I have my bus part call. They said it's unlocked. I try again fraud lock. Meanwhile my car was serviced there too and we were stuck. I called again and fraud center closed now. Myself and pregnant employee have to walk 7 miles. Thanks Amex you ** suck.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I've been an American Express member since 1986. About three weeks ago, my Optima card was declined at dinner. I called American Express the next morning and was told the decline was due to a new card being issued. I told the AMEX customer service person that I had not received a new card and was not informed. Also, I explained that it was embarrassing that my card was declined at a local establishment. I was then placed on hold. After 10 minutes, I hung up. The next day, I engaged in a Web chat with AMEX about the same issue. The person told me the same thing about a new card being issued. I informed the person that I had no knowledge of a new card and had never received one. The person replied "I'm sorry." Three weeks later, NOTHING from AMEX. They obviously do not care about loyal long term customers. I plan to do some advertising for AMEX.

Original review: April 18, 2018

AMEX Platinum is there when needed in both health and travel needs. I was ill in London and when notified they sent a list of MD, their locations and then followed up with calls and e-mails even after I returned home. In the case of travel - they arranged a tight connection flawlessly and even had the plane held for me!

Original review: April 17, 2018

The companion ticket offered on the airline is hard to use. It says no restricted dates. Wrong! Some flights are not available for this reward and they say it is full.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The only person in the family is me who has Amex Platinum and somehow they reached my husband for a payment even I didn't give them the consent to add him as an authorized person. Who can even imagine what they said (by accent wouldn't even tell that are American born people) that in America husband is automatically added as an authorized person on the card. This is just ridiculous! The best credit card has the worst customer service!!!

Original review: April 16, 2018

The American Express Platinum card gives me a free airline ticket each year. There is a fee to use the card but it is a lot cheaper than buy a extra ticket. The fee for my card is $198 a year.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Card itself is great but benefits not so good. Reward points can only apply to that cardholder so if there are 2 cards in the account, points only apply to one of them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

American Airlines has partnered with the American Express Platinum Card so card users are allowed to go the AA VIP lounge which is exceptionally nice. The hotel deals are really for five star hotels that are quite expensive. The customer service is exceptional.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I got this a year ago under a promotional offer to receive 60k sky miles and $100 credit if I spent $1000 within 3 months. I spent over 1k before June 1st which was my deadline and I never got the sky miles. I can look at my statements and my total spending for the promotion was $1069. I've called Delta, I've called Amex, I've spent a year working with people to get them and I still can't. I have friends and family that all did the same type of promotion and they got their miles right away.

Every time I call they tell me the situation is escalating and under review and to wait 2 weeks. EVERY TIME! One man said I'd get my miles in a week and he saw that I met the requirements. They didn't come. Another woman told me that I didn't spend enough with Delta that $100 had to be on delta.com which was NOT part of the requirements. Another told me I didn't meet the requirements that I only spent 970 on purchases which is total BS. I have called them every two weeks for a year and no one has the answers. I'm about ready to get my attorney involved.

Original review: March 24, 2018

First card at 40. Now I am 85. Always paid in full, every month. So you can see I have a huge amount in the rewards program. Used the points once for a flight But there is not much you can use the points for. So the rewards thing is useless. Thanks bunches.

Original review: March 21, 2018

If you decide that having your fee raised $100 and suddenly being charged an extra $175 for an "extra cardholder" is just too much from the criminal enterprise known as American Express, beware. Once you ask to cancel your card, the hardball begins culminating in being told that any points you have pending don't belong to you. Yes, you have to pay your remaining balance. But Amex gets to keep the points. Sure, they'll offer to switch you to a lower cost product but what's the point? The customer service is atrocious. For instance, if you use points to book a hotel room, Amex does it through Expedia, basically ensuring that you'll get the worst room in the hotel. More than two hotels have admitted this to me. Advice. Cut your losses and go with a company that actually wants the best for its customers.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I applied for and received an American Express Delta SkyMiles Card at the beginning of October specifically because of the bonus offer of 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, which I exceeded in the first month. I should have received these miles in January but it is now the middle of March and I haven't received anything yet. I started calling them in the beginning of February to complain and now after 3 calls and a lengthy online chat with one of their CSRs I still have not been told when I will receive the miles.

I keep being told that they are trying to resolve the issue but it could take 6-8 weeks. This is absolutely ridiculous! Whatever the issue is they have had plenty of time to fix it and get the miles in my account but no one at American Express has been able to help me. I have seen that others have had this same problem so I'm beginning to think it is their policy to withhold miles and make people wait much longer to receive them than they should. I think this needs to be investigated by someone because something is definitely not right!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I originally applied for an American Express credit Card in December of 2017. When I called to activate the card I found out the promotion offer is not what I signed up for 10,000 MQ's and 40,000 miles. It was something less. I spoke with a representative as I signed up online and nowhere was there an offer than the 10k and 40k. He said he was not sure what happened but that is the promotion that was assigned to me. The representative said I could file a complaint that would take a couple of months to hear back on or cancel the card and reapply. We decided to do that since the approval process would only take a week (however it took a month) and would be faster than the complaint route. I asked about the promotion on the reapplication and I was told I would still be eligible as I had not used the card and did not receive any promotion benefit.

Today 3/5/18, I called to find out when the promotion would be reflected in my account and was told I did not qualify since I previously had an AMEX card. The customer service representative was cold and matter of fact that she could not do anything about it except file a complaint that would take anywhere from 1-2 months to resolve. When I asked how would hear about the decision she said "you won't, we don't do that". I asked how I was supposed to know what the resolution is and she said, "You have to call back." When I asked for a complaint number, I was told there is none - "Just call back in a month or so." When I asked why I could not speak to someone, I was told, "That is not how we do things."

The customer service and lack of integrity in this organization is absolutely deplorable. Buyers beware. The first issue felt like a bait and switch issue with applying a promotion to my application that I did not sign up for (in fact I went online and could not find the one that was assigned to me - the representative was at a loss at how that could happen but he acknowledged it seemed like an error). Then after being told a reapplication would not disqualify me from the promotion, I just found it I was disqualified because I had owned a previous card. As mentioned above cancelled due to the promotion issue and never received a promotion benefit. It appears to me again, AMEX is doing what it can to avoid honoring its promotion obligations. BUYERS BE WARNED - THIS COMPANY IS UNETHICAL.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They raised my apr due to low credit score which has been low for a long time but now they are raising it (trolling for more ways to make &)? Anyways I am pissed because I've been a customer since 2004. I talked to customer service & told them that and it apparently fell on deaf ears. Anyways my father basically let me use his credit card- much better credit limit! And much better rewards! I told American Express I'll keep their sorry ** card open but never ever using it.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I disputed a transaction with American Express for $2,000. The merchant provided a piece of paper without my name or signature on it. American Express closed it on their favor. I called to re-open it and told them my name was not on the paper nor was my signature (the signature on the paper isn't mine nor is it close to mine). They re-disputed the charge and again the merchant provided the same piece of paper. Yet again, American Express closed it in favor of the merchant. Even though, I've explained that is not my signature nor my name on the paper provided to them.

After speaking to customer service, a manager told me that they closed it both times in favor of the merchant because they provided a piece of paper with a signature. I repeatedly asked him if the fact that it wasn't my signature nor my name mattered, he refused to answer. I asked him if the paper had my name, he refused to answer, I asked him if the paper had my signature, he said he didn't know what my signature looked like. This is just a joke. American Express apparently will close disputes in favor of the merchant. If the merchant provides a signature on a piece of paper and it doesn't matter that the signature isn't yours or the name on the paper isn't you. Seriously?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

American Express has long been in the esteem of its millions of card members, not to mention mine as well. American Express has globalized and things have changed; no longer is it important for AE to keep their promises, and honor their word. Their new singular oath is to profit, at all costs apparently. American Express solicited me with an inducement if my business met certain spending levels. The business exceeded the spending levels, and AE refused to keep its promise and dishonored themselves.

AE read the transcripts of our phone conversations, and despite hearing their own agents make those same promises, they decided that AE would be better served by not keeping to the agreement. American Express then took retaliatory action against every single account that my business has with AE after I complained about their disreputable practices. American Express has severely damaged our 16 year business relationship through their new disingenuous global schemes. I never thought that American Express would lower its standards to that of the Persian Bazaar. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I signed up for this card in August and met the spending threshold in the first week. As of today (February 27) I have still not received the promotional points. I have complained on 4 separate occasions, each time being told the issue would be resolved at a later time. Now I am being told that it will "probably" be resolved on the next billing cycle. Delta you are a great airline company, but it is time to partner with another credit card. If not, it may be time to consider another airline as well.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Many horrible experiences with my Corporate card that employees are required to carry and use. Received a duplicate Hilton hotel charge that took six weeks for a refund check, so I promptly disputed the charge before due date and told Amex Customer-No-Service that I would pay this charge as soon as I received refund check from Hilton in the mail. No online payment can be made because latest online statement indicates no payment is due as a result of disputed charge, Tried calling Amex Customer-No-Service back as soon as new zero-balance statement was issued; told that Amex cannot take my payment "due to the automated system." Dumbest, most customer unfriendly process on earth! No idea how to resolve. Having spent hours, Amex won't take my money!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I applied the card through Amazon.ca which Amex promised to give $75 statement credit after you purchased $75 Amazon goods. However, it has been 6 months after I made the $75 purchase and I still didn’t get the statement credit. The whole customer service department is useless and just keep on telling me to wait. I will cancel my card right after I receive my cash back and will never apply Amex again. Advice: don’t apply, period.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My Wallet was taken out of my bag at some stage in a 24 hour period. We were unsure when or where but only realized this once Amex finally decided to let me know I was now $400 within my credit card limit. Nearly $6500 dollars were used on my card. Mostly within the early hours of the morning, jumping from service station to the next buying over $3000 worth of cash gift cards...this somehow was not an odd spending pattern to Amex and didn’t flag up with them. The individuals who had my card were somehow using my pin. This to Amex meant that it must have been me using my card even though within that period I hadn’t left the house and had used my card to deliver Uber eats to me 3 times while I worked from home.

This was all happening as I was on the complete opposite side of the city to where my card was being used. Amex advises me of This only a few days after this happening which I believe is not a full investigation. Amex will not communicate with me over emails and will only call me. I think this is very unprofessional! Amex only decided to backpedal on their story that a pin couldn’t be compromised (after arguing and proving to them how easily it could happen) when I called out to my partner to hand me a pen and paper so I could record what Amex was saying to me. Only then did they start to get annoyed and concede that yes your pin could be compromised. If Amex is going to advertise that they offer credit card protection then Amex should offer credit card protection. Scam artists and fraudsters themselves.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information