American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.37/5

American Express Platinum Card

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1182 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Let me start off by saying I have perfect credit and always pay my credit card bill in full every month. So, I paid $700 for a shady gym that promised to give me my deposit back after a 6 week program. When the program was over, they refused to give me the deposit back. I had to dispute this FOUR times with Amex in order to try to get my money back. I provided 3 pictures with evidence showing how the gym was shady and that I was entitled to my money back. I eventually got the money back only because the gym finally gave in and returned my money. Amex was awful and didn’t bother helping me. They somehow kept taking the gym's side even though I provided pics with evidence. I’ve been using them for 10 years, well not anymore. Time to use my Visa now. Goodbye Amex. The dispute department is a bunch of dumb incompetent idiots who don’t know what they’re doing. Now you lost a great customer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

American Express are one of my favourite companies - the customer service is always fantastic and, if you learn enough about how the cards work, the benefits are brilliant! I like them so much most of my blog is about earning reward points!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Misinformation about replacement card - So I lost my card on Nov 8. Replacement promised by FedEx for delivery the 10th. No card and no explanation. Call number One, I was promised delivery by the 12th. No card and no message. Call number 2, eventually spoke to manager who said there was a material shortage but would arrive by the 14. The 14th came. No card, no message. Called again. This time I was told wait time for replacement is at least a week. Same person later said there is a delay in mailing because of high demand. New script. Apparently no one takes notes. Asked for manager and after waiting for over a half hour, gave up. And this costs over $500 a year for this card? Half hour, gave up.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My flight was delayed for 2 hours and as a Platinum card owner I went to the Amex lounge. And I could not believe!!! I could not enter because my Platinum American Express card was not issued in Argentina!!! So the Amex cards from the rest of the world could not use the lounge!!!??? How can this happen? How can American Express allows to use its name in such an absurd? Is the name American Express independent from the rest of the world?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I reserved a hotel room with Amex and within hours realized I had book the incorrect dates based on airfare. I quickly requested a cancel with the booking company and they provided a cancellation number which I gave to Amex to dispute the charges. Amex refused to credit the charge so I contacted the Director of the hotel reservations and received an email waiving all cancellation fees which I sent to Amex. They still refused to provide a credit. I contacted customer service several times and they were very rude and refused to credit the charges. After being a customer for over 25 years I can say this is the worst company I have ever done business with!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I found that AMEX customer service gives out erroneous information which put me in a bind. Over the past 24 hours I spoke with ten different customer service agents about ATM withdraws... And each time the information that they gave me was incorrect. I was even on the phone speaking with an agent while I was at the atm using his instructions... as soon as the agent found out I was at the atm doing what he told me. His story and instructions changed and wouldn’t help me. So beware of what AMEX tells you over the phone. Chances are that it would not be correct. They really do not care about you as a customer to resolve your issues. I ended up closing my account and moving my transaction to Capital One. I concluded to close my AMEX account because how good is a card if you can’t use it... in spite of the benefits and promises they give you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had wrong information given to me and requested the call to be pulled and listened by 4 supervisors. 3 of them promised a callback and never did. Last one call just to say there were no notes in the account so I must not have called. I pulled my cell records from the cell phone company and call back with information. He said it would not help since he can not find any records. It is incompetence or absolutely lying and covering their mistakes. All I can say it is... This is the worst customer service experience without doubt. I get my miles and move on to somebody else that appreciate my business and have some sense of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have 3 AE card, and recently just applied platinum charge card. They supposed to send out by DHL, however - message from DHL the document has been on hold. NO one in AE has known what’s going on, despite I called few times to talk to customer service and finally found out why. Then when I had a missed call from the center, I tried to call back - there is no communication at all, the persona answer my call, asked me all over again. No record or anything and also put me on hold for more than 5 mins twice. So end up I had to cancel it. Thank you AE, I think I will cancel you one by one... ;-(. Very disappointed member since 99.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Customer service is significantly worsening in past 3 years. 3 out of 5 times I end up speaking to a rep with very thick Easter Indian accent (hard to understand over the phone), and other 2 times, reps on the phone have very hard time to articulate the inquiry. Credit increase is nothing but painful, especially with Amex's request to obtain the transcript of the tax return. IRS does not like 4506-T that is faxed from Amex, returning the form to me as "legible." I have been Delta Amex customer for over 10 years, but I am getting close to run out of my patience and loyalty to both companies - not worth the pricing point of the ridiculous airfares with Delta, as well as unreasonable customer service with Amex.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I received an offer for AMEX Platinum, and having been a AMEX Blue member for 12 years decided to go for it, even though the $550 annual fee is steep, I do use it for travel, take advantage of the lounges at the airports etc. Although there isn't a pre-set spending limit, I have been left stranded (almost literally) on several business trips in a row now where I try to pay for my hotel, meals etc and the card is constantly declined. I use it for business and have charged upwards of $3-5K for business related charges and then pay the balance immediately after. Well, here is instance #4, on an overseas business trip right now and card was declined trying to pay for a meal. Go to the account page, and use "check spending power"... nothing. Like $100 they'll authorize.

I call the international number, was transferred to an "account specialist" who tried to rationalize "Oh you only had a statement balance of $800 average and you need to build up the history before larger amounts are authorized" and then proceeded to say I had to pre-pay ahead of time to help build it up. While this may make sense to some people... makes no sense to me. A long time AMEX card holder like me, a loyal customer and they treat me like this. They also hung up on me... I'm trying to resolve this and conveniently they hung up on me. That's how AMEX treats their customers. I will be cancelling this card as soon as I return from this trip.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We had several instances of fraud on our card so AMEX requested we completely change numbers. My wife spent over 5 hours over a 3 week period trying to get the cards reissued. Never could get them to accomplish this. They kept insisting that they call. We are away from home so needed to call a cell phone. They kept calling the home phone anyway or said they couldn't complete a phone call to either one of our cell phones that work fine. We finally gave up and cancelled our account that we have had for almost 20 years. The personnel in India follow a script and won't get off of it so you're stuck. The company has tanked completely in my estimation and I would never deal with them again because they, basically do not have customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

The worst customer service ever. I had the green card. It says no pre set limit but would decline me for a $10.00 purchase. Quit with the false advertising. What a weak charge card. I would hate to be stranded overseas and couldn't charge but $10.00 on a no pre set limit charge card. When I ask American Express why the card wasn't working they commented, "We don't want to give one card member all of our money." I don't recommend anybody to apply for this card. You would be disappointed like me.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I decided I wanted a credit card that would give me the opportunity to build travel miles, so I found the AmEx Delta SkyMiles card with a promotion that if you spent 3k within the first x amount of months, you got 50,000 bonus miles. I needed a few small-ticket items for our home, so I decided "why not". I was approved for a $5,000 limit which surprised me because no other credit card company had approved me for nothing more than $500 off the bat. I should have smelled something funny there. So off I go as I buy a new dishwasher, mattress, and being I had a job at the time that paid me just enough to get by, I sometimes had to use the card for groceries, electricity bill, etc. So I had racked up about $4200 or so debt and was planning to continue to pay it off.

I've never missed a payment, always paid it once, sometimes twice a month. Around January of 2018, my credit had gotten a lot better and I was trying to refinance my car when my lienholder at the time nearly screwed me over tossing a 30 day late payment (I tried to fight it, but to no avail) when I had never been late once in 4 years and my score tanked. I fought and got it back up close to 600 (it was in the 660s, 670s before and dropped to under 500). AmEx took this as an excuse to suddenly decrease my credit limit to just above what I owed.

Fast forward until today. I recently got married and we received cash gifts, so we both decided to pay our credit card debt down and help our scores. I paid a $1,000 payment on 10/2/18 which went through. Conveniently, a day before AmEx was to report to the repositories, they email me telling me my credit line had been decrease again, and you guess it, by $1,000. I called them furious that I basically wasted my payment on a wash and I wanted my limit back to where it was. They used the excuse that a $69 medical collections that was placed on my Experian report last month as the reason to decrease my credit limit by nearly 25%. Such **.

Their two options was for me to make another $1,100 balance reduction payment to get it restored (which is unbelievable), or to submit to them paystubs and asset documentation which I shouldn't have to do. I've never had to submit a paystub for a credit card company. I cussed the Indians on the other end out because I was (and still is as this happened today) furious. So I'm going to just slowly pay it off and close it once it's a zero balance. I'll be sure to use my miles for a free flight before I close it, though.

What a scam of a business model to just take people's money like that. When I told him he thieved me of my money, he responded saying "well it's actually our money sir". No, it's not. I paid, with my money, on a balance I owed. That doesn't give you the right to just wash it out and take my credit away from me. I'm never using this card again nor will I be referring anyone to this company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I signed up for this card through Delta to buy airline tickets. Even though my application had my new address, somehow AMEX picked up an old address from Delta. I immediately noticed, and called Amex within minutes of receiving my email confirmation of credit approval. Amex said they could not fix the address until I had the card--but the card went to an address I was not at, so I could not get the card! I went round and round trying to explain how circular the situation was. AMEX rep said I had to wait for card to be delivered to old address, then call back and report card lost. So I called back 7 days later. THEN I WAS TOLD SOME OTHER REASON THEY COULD NOT FIX IT AND HAD TO CALL BACK IN ANOTHER 7 DAYS.

The new card was finally issued, but then my bills also went to the old address. When I realized I didn't have the bills, I called AMEX again and they said they would waive the late fees, during which call I paid the bill in full --- to a zero balance (other than the late fee they were to waive). I did not use the card at all after that-- only the one purchase on the day I opened the account, which I then paid in full.

Well, they didn't properly waive the late fee, and I end up with almost $100 of charges on the next bill for fees. I called again--spent 45 minutes in total to explain over and over --finally they said they would waive the fees and I was so disgusted that I closed the account during that call. I verified over and over on the call--"So I have a zero balance now--correct?" The rep said, "Correct." But then comes another bill-- $54 dollars in fees-- when I have not used the card and the account is closed. Amex still didn't waive it correctly and now say it is an annual charge or some BS. Now they say they can't waive fees because I have had too many fees waived-- YES_--all due to their original mess up. Now I am told it has been sent to "customer resolution" which will take 6-8 weeks!!! OMG--- do not use this company-- so incredibly awful it should be illegal.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Do not use American Express for business. Their whole system practices is unlawful. They can put a hold on your spending at any time. I had been with them nine years with no problems paying off cards every month. Something has changed with these guys and I would look elsewhere for business credit daily use! ** American Express! You lost a good customer for life!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Today I received an email, not a phone call or letter stating that American Express reduce my credit line for no apparent reason. I have always paid my bill on time and have even paid more than what is due. I have even paid the full amount owed on the card yet they still treat me this way. I would not ever recommend this card to anyone ever. I have other credit cards and they always treat me like a valued customer unlike American Express.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My mother died unexpectedly right after receiving a brand new account with Delta AMEX card. We had charged thousands of dollars in purchases and planned to keep using it for years to come. We had been loyal AMEX cards with a separate card and had an unblemished payment history for over 15 years. Right after my mom died I forgot to set up auto pay for the brand new Delta Airlines card and missed our first payment but paid the statement in full asap as soon as I realized it a couple days after the due date.

I begged for some courtesy on their part to forgive the one time mistake but they were heartless and didn’t care about my mom's death and penalized me hundreds of dollars. I tried appealing it 3x even writing letters detailing my prior unblemished payment history with them and the tragic unexpected death of my mom. They were still heartless and didn’t offer any condolences of any sort. Just sent me a letter explaining how to not be late in the future.

At the same exact time I had a similar situation with my husband's Chase Bank Disney Visa and they reversed all late fees and interest charges for that time period of my mom's death. They offered sincere condolences over my mom's death and were very kind. American Express has lost our business permanently. There are 6 of us that will be closing all accounts associated with them. I cannot believe how unkind and heartless AMEX is. My business will stay with other cards.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Been an Amex customer for 20 years (Since 1998). Amex used to stand out for customer service. If you don't have to talk to them everything is good but if you need to talk to them then you go through multiple agents, uncoordinated handovers, people that are clueless. Frustrating. Customer service quality has dropped significantly. No longer feels like a premium experience or even close. Things need to improve especially with the higher competition. The card is good value with the lounge access. However, customer service is horrible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

After seeing the introductory promotion for this card, I signed up for one. I enrolled in AutoPay to avoid missing any payments. Turns out AutoPay misses a payment cycle. When I received my statements later, I found AmEx had been continuously charging me interest because of that missed autopayment. Not only that, they charged at a penalty rate HIGHER than even the normal APR. Calling customer service failed to solve the issue. The first rep couldn't do anything, and their supervisor was completely unsympathetic.

Interest rate bait and switches are something I expect out of store cards, not an allegedly premium experience for affluent business owners. In fact, I've even gotten better and more understanding service before with store cards, and half their business model is exploiting deferred interest tricks. I canceled my card and will not be doing business with American Express again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I have paid my Platinum Amex on time and in full every month since receiving it. The one time I miss a payment due to an emergency hospital stay, they reduce the limits on both my platinum and Everyday Amex cards not even one full week after my original payment was due. Life happens! I think it is deplorable to treat a consistently paying costumer this way after ONE mishap. I would understand if I had a history of late payments but I’ve literally not had one. I could even understand if I missed two billing statements or I was over 30 days late but it hasn’t even been 2 weeks! They reduced my limits so much that I am now over my limits on both cards which caused my credit score to drop right before closing on a property.

After speaking with them, I was advised that the only way they would increase it is if I sent proof of income and liquid assets by a certain date. Mind you, I’m still in the hospital and I made that very clear to them. I am just so disgusted by their lack of customer service and compassion for a customer as consistent as myself. They took nothing into consideration... not my amazing payment history, not my hospital stay, not the fact that I was still making my payment in full before the next billing cycle. NOTHING. And to top it off, they all sound like cold, emotionless ** robots over the phone. I might as well have been speaking to their automated system. What a ** company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I got the card which stated no limit. I called to ok purchase of 3000$. Ok paid bill. Suspended use. Turned on spend money. Paid bill. Suspend spending. Each time payments in full were made before due date. On my birthday a couple of months of this stop and go spending I treated myself out to dinner and some other activities. They declined my card at 1130 pm. Asking for employment verification and income tax for the last three years. Now I have spent and paid up until now and this. So they turned off my card for 14 days waiting for papers that I told them they weren’t getting. They cut spending back on.

The very next time I used it they turned it off again. So I decided to gradually pay them and now they are destroying my credit. I wish I had read these reviews first. I’m just glad I wasn’t out of the country counting on the use of this card. Don’t use it. $550 a year and when I refused papers they asked for they were going to cut card off permanently until I called their scam, $550 can add up to a lot if you get enough people to join and then you cancel them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I was able to spoke with this agent Chinmoy from AMEX. Usually we always call the AMEX (8005282121) to have a name and address verification since we are also from a fraud prevention department. Swear, we've done this a lot of times (Everyday we call to them) and this certain agent won't assist me, and won't even provide me his ID number which is very new to me since we've done this and usually the agent will provide their first name including the ID number once we've done with the said verification. Just keep me putting on hold and won't even let me speak with a supervisor. This is very frustrating. It's like he's not willing to help me.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I always pay my monthly payment on time. So I remember for sure I processed my last payment through the website because I remember doing so. So a few days later I end up with a late fee and I'm all of sudden over my credit limit because they did not allow my payment to go through. So I get on the phone to tell them so. The lady tells me like I'm stupid that sometimes when we make a payment we don't confirm in which I know I did. They didn't accept the payment so I could go over my credit limit and they can get more money. Mind you I always make my payments on time. "Do not, I repeat "Do not" get this card. They will keep coming up with imaginary fees and cancel set payments to incur late fees so they can get more money.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

A few months back I called AMEX to have my Green card replaced due to a malfunctioning chip. The service rep. I spoke to told me of a promotion of 40,000 additional points if I upgraded to the Gold card and spent $2,000 over a 3 month period. The green card had been fine for me for years and saw no reason to pay the $100 additional annual fee but 40,000 points for less than my usual spending range sounded good. Well the card came yet there was no mention of the promotion. Two calls to customer service provided no answers, only promises they would get back to me. Finally after almost 3 months and a 3rd call I was told there was no promotion for upgrading. I'm from a time when AMEX was the pinnacle of charge cards but times have obviously changed. Being lied to and then not even being contacted back after 2 inquiries shows they care nothing about customers. Member since 1982 but no longer.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

A few weeks ago I received an SMS from AMEX asking me to pay my annual fees. I had a card that ended in 2017. So I called them and told them I don't have a card anymore. After several phone calls and investigations I discovered that the card was sitting in the drawers of the bank for the past two years. I asked the bank to cancel it and refrain from paying AMEX this year's annual fee in addition to returning my last year's fee. I received a phone call from AMEX in this respect. I made it clear that I didn't want the card and asked them to cancel it. A few days later I received the following SMS: "A payment request for USD 175.00 has been sent to your bank pursuant to your Direct Debit instruction for your AMEX Card ending **. Kindly ensure that your bank account is adequately funded. Thank you." Isn't that harassment?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I hold myself accountable for popping for $550 AMEX Platinum. Cancelling ASAP. Experience #1: My wife and I traveling to Europe. Planned to use the Platinum Airport Lounges... but my wife denied entrance since I was the only one CARRYING the Platinum Card. Pretty embarrassing particularly since one of the reasons for the card was to be able to use the Lounges when traveling. Recently booked travel to Seattle area for August. My wife has respiratory problems and Seattle's air quality currently rated worse than Beijing. Doctor advised her not to go. Called AMEX to change travel to October due to the medical issues. Told that we would have to pay a significant change fee plus any fare differences regardless of the medical concerns. Getting just this far took about 3-4 hours... just the beginning. We had to change so I agreed to the change fee.

I found a better fare in October than what we had booked for August. Since AMEX had said we had to pay "change fee PLUS ANY FARE DIFFERENCES." I pointed out that we would have a fare credit which could be applied to the Change Fee. But NO, AMEX says it is a one way street... If the fare is greater we pay them but if it is lower we get nothing, no credit, NADA. Getting to this point took another 2-3 hours and holds, anger etc. Frankly, they really could not even do the math to understand the issue. During that time I spoke with Platinum Travel and they pushed to Amex Travel. I asked for Supervisors, but they refused to speak with me until I threatened consequences.

After 3 days and probably 8-9 hours I finally got an Supervisor who admitted they understood and made the change BUT now I have been double billed for the Change Fees. As it sits right now I would be paying more for change fees than we did for the original ticketing. Interestingly I just powered my way into speaking with yet another Supervisor who put me in contact with (are you ready for this?) EXPEDIA! It turns out that Expedia is doing the booking for American Express Travel (however that works). SO BUYER BEWARE WHEN LOOKING AT AMERICAN EXPRESS PLATINUM AND AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

From last two years your sales representatives keep coming, collecting documents (including PAN, salary slip, etc), every time they convinced me, "Sir you don't have any CB score, but you are earning very well, if you give me your Form-16 and ITR then we will easily dispatch your credit card asap" and after that no response at all. Since Sales teamwork is done, now no one is responsible for anything. Whenever I called customer care they tell 'Since you don't have any CB score so your card got declined'. Better to check my CB score before collecting documents, well this is pathetic. Seems like you guys want to stole personal data (actually very rich data Form-16, ITR, PAN, Passport, Salary-Slip) and then sell it to third party (Huge business is going on these days.). And it's not only me. I have seen this with my colleagues also.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My bill is 20 days late. I got a phone call that they are using a 3rd party to find phone numbers associated with my name and calling these people asking for me. American Express was not given these people's contact info by myself, the sole cardholder. They should not be allowed to call anyone else unless I authorize their information. The only contact on the account is mine and my phone number only. How did they get the permission to call my other family members if I did not allow this.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

The last 5 digits of my card is **. I have received the statement for the month of July (07/29/2018) for an amount of 439.18 whereas the amount I had spent was only $403.19. The non-plan balance: 237.63 and plan balance is 165.56 totaling to $ 403.19. When I try to call customer care, they make wait for long hours and then keep juggling the call between collections department & customer care. I am totally fed up with the service and forced to write a complaint on the Consumer Affairs forum. I want this to be resolved at the earliest as AMEX team is not at all supporting in clearing this issue.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Got approved quickly and was told I could use the card (Amex Delta SkyMiles) ANYWHERE even to buy a money order for up to my credit limit without taking out cash advance. The payment who be treated as a debit charge and can be paid off next billing cycle. Come time I needed to do so for rent I CAN'T after asking the representative MULTIPLE times if it can be done with no restrictions a week prior to getting the card and if it would count towards SkyMiles. He assured me it could and would. NOPE. I tried USPS, Wal Mart, CVS, Kroger, my bank, NOBODY ACCEPTS THEM! Turns out many places don't accept Amex because of the high merchant fees.

Now I am left high and dry wondering how I am going to pay rent. Taking out a cash advance for a money order would mean high fees and a 26.99% interest EVERY DAY it's not paid. Plus I can only get up to $200. Yeah right! Once I pay this $28 off I am canceling this card. It's unacceptable to give them even one star! Seriously, if it's not Visa or Mastercard don't do it. Delta should really end partnership with this company. WORTHLESS.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information