2. Finance

American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

Original review: July 1, 2020

Was going on trip to Ireland and trip was canceled. They would not refund my $8,000. I disputed the charge and lost and Amex sided with the company to keep my $8,000 and not provide the trip. Sounds crazy but that's what has happened. We were going with two other couple and their dispute was won even though the company fought it with the same documents as they used for us. The only difference they used Chase. Will be canceling all Amex cards and going with Chase.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I called Amex a few times today to stop them from processing two identical payment, knowing that the vendor did not process the payment (screenshot to prove this). They have no way of stopping these payment, and they wait for the vendor to withdraw them (or not). As such you have no control over your own account and are at the mercy of the vendor. This is terrible, and I lost all my trust in AmEx today. They don't deserve my business.

Imagine a third party making a false claim at AmEx, and all you can do is see the transaction happen before your eyes and you can't do anything to stop it. And AmEx can't do anything to stop it either, as the transaction must be completed first before you can actually dispute it. It is as if you know somebody is going to steal your wallet, but you are not allowed to put your wallet in the safe. Don't trust AmEx, as their procedures will not protect your interest.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

No recommend. I submitted a dispute for 4 tickets on the same time. They mailed me a letter indicate that the deadline for the merchant to respond is May 18. The merchant didn’t respond and they refunded me the 4 tickets, however, on May 24 the merchant responded with the confirmation number for three tickets so American Express decided to rebill me back for one ticket. Without any proof after the deadline time. The mess happened by American Express because the first customer service didn’t.

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you call twice you will get a different answer. Card is expensive and you get lousy service. I find this is a scam. You don’t really get what the benefits say.. there is always an excuse not to give you what is advertised. Save your money and the headache. Not customer focused at all.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Been a customer for over 20 years. Several years ago they changed the available credit policy to an automated matrix model. It was a poor idea and they explain it by saying if you pay the balance off, you will have more available. Never been late ever and the limit is based on average spending but you can’t Siena more because the limit will not allow. Insane catch 22. Do not get one of their products ever. They used to be a good company but no more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 11, 2020

Beware if you are using an American Express credit card. American Express has changed their policies and will now side with the merchant even if it's a scam. I made a purchase that I thought was legit but it turned out to be a scam. I tried to cancel 30 minutes after I placed the order but they refused so I tried to dispute with American Express and lost. I called American Express and was told they now normally side with the merchant, so, if you think you were scammed and you used an American Express credit card then YOU WERE SCAMMED and lost your money. My American Express account is now closed.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I wish I could give them negative 1,000,000 stars. This is the second worst credit card experience I have had since I canceled my Citi card like 8 years ago which was a nightmare. This company has even worse service than Citi. Here's my story: My dad passed about a year ago and I needed to fly home for a while. On my way back, I was checking out Delta flights and there was a promotion, Amex card, buy x dollar amount before y time and you get a $200 statement credit and 60,000 miles. Was easy to hit the minimum with my flight home and a couple of purchases.

I paid my first bill without seeing my statement because I couldn't get my card until I got back home. Once I had the card, I was trying to set up my online account but, for whatever reason, the online banking system wouldn't work. I paid my card over the phone again. By the third or fourth statement, I was fed up and called again to get my online account set up. They ask me a bunch of questions about the card and I finally get it straightened out, they set up my online banking. Cool, I see they never gave me my statement credit. I did get the miles.

Fast forward months go by and every time I go to log into my account, it's saying I have the wrong password, wrong card info, whatever and my account is blocked. I call and pay my bill and ask them to unlock my account. They make a one time password for me to get in, this happens 5 or 6 maybe even 8 times, I lost track.

Meanwhile, I call Delta to get my statement credit because Amex claims "it's a Delta promotion, take it up with them." Delta claims, "it's a statement credit, take it up with Amex." This goes on for about 2 months, on the phone for hours each time, before I finally give up and decide I've spent more time trying to get the credit than it's worth.

Fast forward months again and still cannot log into my account. Every time I call them to get it fixed they are extremely rude, ask me for different information every single time, and this last time literally hung up on me when I complained why he's asking me for different information. One time it's this number, the next time it's this security question, the next time it's another number, it's never the same. It's honestly baffling and, as if they're messing with me. Literally, it feels like they're messing with my head. Every time it's a different question that I either answer and it's not right or I don't even know the answer to.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS LOG IN AND PAY MY BILL. I honest to god at this point think they're trying to prevent me from being able to pay it easily so I wrack up late fees. I can't come to any other conclusion as to why a company would make it this freaking hard to pay a damned bill. I cannot WAIT to pay off my balance and close this card out and never have an American Express card again. This is a SLIMY SLIMY company with HORRIFIC customer service. Stay away for your own good.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Tried & tried -- online and on hold -- to contact an AMEX Platinum Card representative. Always busy. Always told to try again later. Not a good way to treat Platinum Card Holders. Worth the money? You tell me. Hoping to wait (and wait) once again for the service I already paid for. I hoped that Platinum Card holders might be treated a little better. Guess I was wrong.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Without my knowledge or reasonable clear communication American Express increased by interest rate from the the low twenties to 23.99% or 24.99% which they describe as a "Penalty APR" for not making the minimum payment of under $161.89 on October 11th 2019 when I made a total payment of $1687.05 during October 2019 paying $745.79 on October 15th and $941.26 on October 29th. So for almost 7 months I was not properly notified despite paying over 10 times the minimum balance during October 2019 that my interest rate was significantly increased to their "Penalty APR".

I called AMEX today 4/27/20 again not aware that my interest has ballooned unethically despite paying over 10 times the minimum due inquiring about having my APR reduced because of my low balance of 29% usage and the customer service representative communicated this information to me so I of course asked for all of the past interest accrued to be refunded immediately. She stated the system will not allow this and I asked to be connected to a supervisor which she said will call me. This is absurd, fraudulent, unethical, and horrific treatment of a long time customer and I implore the BBB to reach out to AMEX and investigate this and other abusive, misleading, and predatory and illegal lending practices.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I made a fairly large purchase using my American Express. I never got the item and the company said they received the item back and they were going to credit my account. I don't know what happened but the money was never refunded. I contacted American Express twice and both times they tell me the items were delivered and won't even look at the e-mails I have from the other company stating they got the item back and were supposed to refund the money. So because American Express can't be bothered to read a few e-mails I'm stuck paying over $3,000 for something I never received. I highly recommend you stay away from this company.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information