American Express Platinum Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Amex froze my membership rewards points until the Plenti bonus period was over and then my points were magically reinstated. During this time, I was treated like a crook. After they noticed I did nothing wrong they wanted to be all friendly. Terrible company - always empty apologies. I will no longer use their services.

This company used to be great, don't know why it went downhill. Been a customer for over 5 years. Rated 1 star for these reasons. Not providing proper investigation when disputing a charge. If you dispute a charge they will take the company's side even if you have proof. Lowering your credit balance without a why or reason. Customer service incompetent. Don't speak English. They can't communicate, sound far away, lack of account knowledge. Giving false information on the phone to sign up in promotions. In conclusion in online world where we buy with our eyes you expect a company to have your back. This company is not American Express.

We are a small business that was courted by Amex to use their cards. We purchase over 50,000/month in supplies and used their cards faithfully for most business expenses for 2 years. We paid every bill accurately and timely as required. Never a fault, never late, always paid in full. All of the sudden, Amex lowered our credit (on our limitless cards) to 3000.00.

All business accounts set with auto pay, vehicle payments and monthly expenses had to change to other forms of payment. No explanation given for this change, no review provided and we were told that we can discuss it in a year from now to see if Amex wishes to increase our limit. We will be cancelling all 4 Amex accounts and we have already stopped accepting any Amex charges from our customers. We have found the entire experience of dealing with Amex to be difficult, often rude, misleading and a complete waste of our business time.

I am very disappointed in their Dispute Charge Department. I have been a member over 20 years and I cancelled my membership with Hand and Stone in Howell New Jersey. They charge my card for $122.00 two times on same day after my membership was cancelled. I called Hand and Stone and they said they will return the $244.00 and they never did. I called American Express BUSINESS PLATINUM they told me they would return the $244.00 back to my account and they never did. I called them # 3 different time and got the same answer every time. Today I called them 03/26/2017 and spoke to a manager that was not helpful and not nice and he was in favor for the merchant Hand and Stone. I still did not get anywhere. What do I do next.

I was told to send in two months of bank statements which I did. I called one week later to see how the process is going along but was told that I only sent a one month bank statement and that my fax was sent past the deadline so they decided to close my account, despite it has always been in good standing for 5 years in which they acknowledged. I explained that this is incorrect and my phone fax records will verify when the fax was sent and the number pages sent. The representative was rude and didn't want to listen and proceeded to move forward with the closure. In addition, my other bank statement is missing but Amex says they don't know where it is and their fax system is error proof. This is quite disturbing. I've never had a problem with MasterCard or Visa in which I have higher lines of credit. This problem has been escalated. I will not recommend for anyone to apply for this card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

We own a small business. We started accepting American Express cards about a year ago. A customer made a purchase using his American Express card. It was for a Cigar Cruise that we had to cancel. We credited his card for his purchase. 7 months later this scam of a credit card charged our bank his initial purchase amount because we didn't fill out a form that was required by their standards. We have since stopped accepting Amex cards. Not only is the customer service terrible, but is not small business friendly. We had to fill out an affidavit and it required much of our time that could have been spent on our business. Terrible and not small business friendly.

I've been an AMEX Platinum cardholder for 15 yrs but only recently needed to reach out to customer service for a card related problem. It took FIVE calls just to get someone who could/would help. The first two times I was disconnected. The third and fourth calls resulted in me being on hold for more than 20 minutes each time after I was told I would be placed on a BRIEF hold. After all of this I still wasn't told the reason why my card had not worked. I'm currently waiting on a call back. Stay away from AMEX. They were once a decent company that took pride in customer interactions. Not anymore. I will update as necessary.

I applied for and receive the American Express Platinum card -- with a hefty sign on bonus... When the bonus showed up it was for half the amount advertised. I then called for the missing amount (the whole amount I was awarded since it too was now missing). I was told a year later that I did not meet the required amount to spend by $168 and it was a mistake to give me the award at all. I asked for a one time allowance and was told it was a lot of miles and maybe if I hold on they might give me a smaller amount. Really? I responded that I would wait for my annual fee to renew and cancel the card...and I would try to find the original amount advertised with the offer to join... Come on AMEX, this is the best you can do with customer service. Our family will be moving to a company that stands by its advertising. NO THANKS for nothing AMEX.

I send via online banking American Express payment to arrive 2-3 weeks in advance of the due date. But still the payment has not posted. Called AMEX to speak to an intelligent person about the issue but I got outsourced Philippines, India, and Mexico City, lowest level call center persons. The CEO does not take calls and I was directed to (800) 700-7619 that had a message to write American Express General Counsel Office, yet another useless PO Box: 200 Vesey Street #49, Mail Stop NY-0-50-01, New York, New York 12085-5001.

I am very dissatisfied with my experience with American Express. I had a relatively large expense coming up in my life and I remembered that I had a pay over time feature on my Gold Card. I called and verified this and was assured that I did have this feature. I made the charge on my card and called that day to have the expense moved to my pay over time balance. They said they could not make the change because the transaction had not posted. I called two days later when it had posted to have them move it and again they were unable to, claiming that it was because the statement had not yet closed.

When my statement closed (the next day) I called again only to find out that they were unable to move the transaction period, because I had credits on my account that made my account balance lower than the charge I wanted to move and now I have to pay this expense in full when I had already set up an amortization schedule on paying it back. Because I am unable to use features on my card that I had wrongly assumed were available to me, I am going to pay my whole balance with American Express and close my account with them. Should have opened a Visa instead.

I have been calling the customer care of AMEX since 4 months continuously. Finally, I got the answer today that they cannot help me. First due to ending of my promotion for 0% interest they ask me to upgrade and so I did without providing a proper information about interest charges each month which is approx $60. First month when charged interest I called and spoke to supervisor, they said will check on my request and get back to me but never did. But today when I asked the other supervisor (BRYAN) he gives a misleading information saying they might have not called as they could do nothing about the misleading information giving to you on the recording by rep (CHRIS). And now all of sudden he said rep gave correct info so we cannot do anything. They basically DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS to give wrong info without any proof... I will close my account... That's all I can do as they charging me $60 each month.

I was an authorized user on my soon to be ex-husband's Amex card. He charged $270,000 on the card without the card being present. Three times the credit limit. He will not pay them. Amex has called me 3-4 times a day demanding that I pay his charges. I told them I was not joint on the card and not liable. They then reported his delinquent charges on my credit report. They removed the info on the credit report when I told them they were in violation of the FCRA. Then they suspended my individual Amex card without notice. I have always paid it in full and have excellent credit. When I called they told me unless I provided financial info including tax records on my soon to be ex-husband (divorce should be final 10/3017), they would cancel my card. I canceled the card myself. I feel that they have harassed me, violated Federal law and attempted to get me to provide illegal information.

Initially when signing up for this card, I was under the impression that I was going to get rewarded what they were advertising, 25,000 points when you spend $2,000 within the first 3 months. I meet the requirement, come to find out that there are only 15,000 points. I call amex to inquire as why I only have 15,000 points and they tell me that that's what I "agreed" to. Which I retort I have no recollection of agreeing to this. So they're going to further investigate the cause and go over the phone call and tell me they'll follow up within 7 days. 7 days go by, no phone call, no points, nothing.

I call them again & they literally MAKE UP a story telling me that I was not eligible for that as I am an existing customer & that promotion is reserved for new customers only. I reluctantly concede, but eventually accept it. However, when I asked them a simple question, WHERE IS THIS INFORMATION DISCLOSED IN THE TERMS & AGREEMENT? Suddenly the representative chokes creating suspicion and making me think otherwise. He's quick to transfer me to somebody else in that "department". I ask them the same question & no one will give me a direct response. Their alibi is, "this is my not department, let me transfer you over".

After bouncing around several times, I FINALLY get someone that gives me a not so direct response but enlightened me and much to my surprise, I was eligible for this promotion. So why wasn't I granted the 25,000 points? It's still a grand mystery. They put words in my mouth saying I agreed to 15,000. In other words, power playing hoping I'll be confused and tell me they're going over the phone call to intimidate me. The lack of integrity & honesty was enough for me to call it quits. In addition to that, I will be taking them to a small claims court for misleading & falsely advertising. The way I see it, this company is synonym with Wells Fargo and no different than bank frauds. There are several disparaging articles on this company's shady practices. Thanks AMEX! :)

I have emailed them spoke to a representative at Corp and nothing has changed. I have explained to them regarding my balance payment and why it's wrong. They agreed. They say they're sorry and they want to satisfy their customers. Far as I'm concerned what a crock. After a while you could see they will not do anything to change the errors. They're really not interested In their customers at all. When everybody stops doing business with them then they might see that they failed everyone even themselves. I've only had the card a couple of months and In those few months You can't imagine the trouble I've had. I will close this account.

It's really bad from you on your service nowadays. When I received my card year back it was awesome but I could not find what is happening now. I bought an NHL wire worth 590 rupees from eBay. But I never received the product. Still I have been billed for the same. I disputed that amount which is not in favour of me. But when I called to know the reason your customer support never gave me satisfactory answer. They said they will mail me the letter from merchant and when I asked for escalation mail id, I talked Shivangi your senior. She gave wrong mails ID as head-customerserviceindia@aexp.com. I said it's service or services and she said service. I said my payment date is on 14 Jan when I talked on 11 Jan. They said I will get in 3 business days but I never received any communication from you. This is really surprising and ** fact. Please block card. I don't want to use these kind of third class services.

AMERICAN EXPRESS is a scam, their customer service staff are rude and unprofessional. I've been a customer for many years and always on time with my payment until they talked me into signing up for AM sky. The first transaction and encounter back in 2016 was pleasant and helpful until this recent transaction where their website and mine were experiencing technical error led me to 1 day behind my due date of 1/22/17. I contacted the customer service on phone to pay in full for the balance and requested for the late fee to be removed ( for 1 day late which is today 1/23/17), instead of working to find every possible resolution they (John ID # **) told me there was nothing he could do and if I then he would be gladly to assist me to close the account. He quickly read through some of their policies to close account and hang up.

Apparently, they don't care about their loyal clients and I would advise anyone who read this to stay away and remove all your businesses from AM. I am still in disbelief and disgusted for their staff's behaviors and the treatment I had received. I will spread this message to all my professional connections and have them pull all their transactions and businesses from American Express going forward.

Small Business BEWARE! Background: Personal credit score 815. Small business with 5 employees with company AMEX cards. Never missed a payment. Profitable business with A+ balance sheet, cash flows and P&L. Out of the blue AMEX freezes our charging with no explanation leaving employees traveling with no credit option. Requests my personal tax returns and given the holidays says it will take up to 3 weeks to restore the account. Fortunately I had Chase Ink cards provided by my primary bank to quickly restore our business activities, but the impact left employees concerned with the financial status of our business. I don't think they cared or even understood the gravity of their actions. Not small business friendly and I would avoid unless a last resort. Reading other reviews this seems to be SOP.

Member for 34 years, have multiple accounts with the company, spends about 30-45k per month and have always paid all bills before the due date. My FICO scores with all bureaus are in the high 800's. Much to my surprise, I log in online to see that all my accounts are suspended and I am urged to call their "Financial Review" team. When I called to ask what the problem was, I am asked to provide my last 3 months bank statements and was told that it would take up to 10 days before my accounts can be reinstated. I politely told the representative that I will gladly provide my bank statement copies (with average balances in mid to high 6 figures), but would like to see my accounts reinstated the same day as a lot of suppliers and service providers charge my cards automatically.

I called the Amex center twice after submitting my bank statements and had to leave messages. No one bothered to reply, and no one seems to care. It is a shame that the level of service with this company is where it is right now. No wonder people are leaving it in droves, and I will be doing just that as well. It used to be a great company, and now I cannot think of a worse company. What a shame.

I recently purchased gift cards from American Express using my American Express Platinum card. The total order was for $15,000 made up of various quantities. American Express sent me some valid cards and some fraudulent cards that are not valid. I have spent 10 hours on the phone with American Express without anything being resolved. I am at the end of my wit's end and have no idea how to proceed. They basically committed a fraud by taking my money and giving out fraudulent cards. I would never order gift cards from AMEX or use a AMEX Platinum Card.

Consumer Increased Rating!

This inquiry was removed. Resolved. Thank you!

Lawrence of Chicago, IL on

Original Review

I applied for a credit card with American Express, on 12/16/2014. A hard inquiry was placed on my credit report. It was supposed to be removed on 12/16/2016. It has not been removed from my credit report as of today 01/16/2017. This has been over 2 years and has timed out, and should have been removed. I have called them, and they claim the only way to get it removed is by writing them. I'm in the process of doing that now. I will inform you of the outcome, after I hear back from AMEX.

I have owned and been President of a total of 6 companies since 1994. American Express was my card of choice. In the last 4 years they have moved their communication to foreign countries and made it very difficult to work with them. At two of my companies I had 20 employee cards issued, all platinum. As I was using my points, the customer service rep told me that I should changed to green or gold as my guys did not travel by plane, only I did. When we changed our account to one platinum with 19 green cards, they took our charge power away. We had been charging over 250,000 per month before and had allowed AmEx to contact all of our vendors so that they could pick up additional merchants. Our charge power was reduced to 30,000 and they made multiple mistakes on the cards over three times.

Most recently, 2017 we stopped using the AmEx in my company but I have used my platinum in my consulting business but again, when I tried to use my points to purchase Apple products, they said that my account was not up to date and declined the order to use my points. At this point, I am going to fight to get my points used, pay off the card and forget American Express. I have a Wells Fargo Gold which is dollar for dollar and I never have any trouble. When I call them, I am talking to someone who speaks the English language very well. Sorry AMEX, you have lost your way!!

Stay away from American Express! Biggest scam! Terrible customer service. Stick with Visa/MasterCard! American Express should be ashamed Of themselves what they have done to me and many others!!! I haven't used my card for years! I have a big monthly payment that keeps going up and they will not help!

I have been a customer over one year. Always paid bills on time and used my card for EVERYTHING! After an issue with Sunwing booking a trip I could not attend they would not cancel so I contacted my credit card company. The woman I thought was wonderful said, "No problem. Happens all the time. Goes to review but if you get charged you'd be the first." Called again to double check before missing my trip again. Was assured it's no problem... I've now been fighting with them since November but all communication is done through letters in the mail and you cannot get anyone of significance on the phone. I've emailed requests twice and asked 3 customer service reps who transfer then I get put on hold and hung up on, the last man I spoke to I gave my number to have a supervisor call back today and still nothing... 100% going back to MasterCard. Wayyyy better service.

If you going to apply to get a AMERICAN EXPRESS don't do it. Just see the reviews online... Don't have any person to speak English... Only the machines. I have $10,000 limit but you can used. Just take the time and research everything...

I have been a faithful Amex user with 2 different types of their cards for Over 6 years. Without so much as 1 late payment. I bought out my business partners of 4 years and put all the acct in my name. After 2 months of use they delegated a limit to my cards that was lower than my 4 year avg. monthly balance. When I say lower, I mean way lower I ran my business on these cards. Most months were 60,000 to 80,000. They gave me limit of 6000.00 when the balance was at 35,000. They have ruined my business as far as I am concerned. The Federal Trade Commission should do something about this. Any input on where to turn next would be appreciated.

I've been an American Express customer since 1984. I have CEO'd 2 publicly traded companies and worked across multiple countries and have always used American Express Platinum for my business travel. Our new company, which is growing fast, has relied on American Express Platinum for our employee travel and other company expenditures. After 33 yrs of working with American Express, last Thursday at 2:00am in the morning, I received an email from American Express that my account was cancelled. No reason why. We spend a lot with American Express and for some reason they don't seem to like our spending habits. And I should add, that we pay our bill off every month.

After speaking with numerous people at American Express Platinum Account Services and just getting pushed around to one supervisor to the next, with no answer other than "we are looking into it", I have finally given up. My colleagues are amazed at how we are being treated. Most of them have said to me "American Express should be offering you a Black Card but instead they throw you out?" Many of my colleagues are also Platinum card holders and I am sharing with them my recent experience.

I am being treated by American Express with significant disdain, hostility and a general "we don't want your business attitude". Our company has just opened a new credit relationship with Chase and the treatment that we have been given by Chase has been incredible. The customer service with Chase has been great. We are also making a decision as a company to no longer accept American Express charges from our customers as well. This is one brand that has really gotten it wrong and have insulted me in a way that no consumer company has been able to achieve.

American Express customer service is terrible, absolutely terrible, and this company is a joke. My credit score is 719 with excellent payment history and no negative history on my credit report at all. The reason for going with this card was the introductory rate and perks. 6% on purchases at supermarkets and 3% gas returns as well as $150 back for purchases of $1000 in the first three months. Well I was approved for the card, no surprise there. But what was surprising was being approved for $1000 at a 23.49% interest rate; I mean seriously! The fee per year is $95; which AMEX stands to earn 10% off of my balance and for me to take full advantage of the intro $150 back, I would have to run 100% of my credit limit which would negatively impact my credit score.

I called them to ensure this wasn't an error, and all I got after 4 transfers and one disconnect was "you have to establish history with us before a limit can be increased." SERIOUSLY??? I have had credit cards with $8000 and 19% when my credit score was in the 600 range. Needless to say I told them don't bother sending the card; I will take the temporary ding, but I will not pay them $95 for a card I have no intention of using if I cannot take advantage of the reason I got it in the first place.

When requesting to review charges and penalties fees, I was promised assistance and the 6 different representatives I spoke to, never followed up with my requests and never called me back as promised. I was charge inappropriately and none of the representatives did not help me resolve the issues. I was transferred to various departments and many promises were made with no resolution. It was very apparent that the representatives' only motive, was to receive payments even if the charges were incorrect. I changed credit cards and now I am very happy!

I applied for my card and call to downgrade. They lied to me and kept transferring me to different departments. Finally they said they will be able to downgrade and as soon as I agreed they turned around and said, "I am sorry." We can't downgrade. We will have to apply for a new card. I ask, "why do you have to apply for a new application, do you get bonus?" She said, "Yes." So for her benefit she was ready to hit my credit. I would not recommed this credit card company.

I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday Card and was approved 09/2016. The website indicated 0% Apr for 12 months and $100 reward after spending $1000 within the first 3 months. Based on this information, I did a balance transfer from my Discover IT Card which has an Apr of 12.99% to my new Blue Cash Everyday Card. First statement, I was charged interest, called Customer Service to put in an investigation.

Almost two months and a dozen phone calls later, I was told that the introductory offer was not applied to my application because after review of my credit report, I do not qualify for the introductory offer for which I applied. I was however approved at an Apr of almost 24%. This is a clear violation of Regulation Z which is Truth in Lending. Unfair and misleading marketing, and I was discriminated against after the fact. Will be escalating my concerns further because clearly Amex has not learnt its lesson of $112 million in fines for being unlawful and deceptive with their practices.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Profile