Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

4.0/5 (1397 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Being a avid traveler for work and pleasure the Amex card provides me with ample opportunities to trace more, earn more miles on things I buy every day and also gives me peace of mind against fraud. The fact that I’m able to gain Delta points on buying groceries and through end of July if I shop at local stores they are giving me 4x the points makes the card great but they are also promoting shopping small.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I am a longtime user of American Express and rate it highly for ease of use and customer service. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t resolved courteously and efficiently whether it be a lost card or a charge I didn’t recognize. I believe Amex to be head and shoulders above the rest. Also very helpful with travel.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

The rewards take a lot of miles to get. You have to travel a lot to access them. The free checked bag and early boarding are a plus and the free companion pass are the perks that can be utilized easily. The yearly payment is steep for the occasional traveler.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I can use the card pretty much anywhere and the Customer Service is always very nice and helpful! I don't ever have any problem using the card even when I am close to my limit. They also have Credit protection which they watch the usage of my card and if it is ever used outside of the realm of my physical address -- they notify me as to why it is being used. I appreciate this.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have been with American Express for some time and have always had good service however the one time that I did challenge a charge on my Amex Card it took forever to resolve through their Customer Service. Since then I have have been a leery of charging too much on the Card for fear I may not be reimbursed should a unlawful entry be made.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I can survive without this card and can definitely do without the frustration. I received a new card, tried to follow the activation instructions and was still having issues 2 hours later. The website process asks for your card number and security number, then wants you to log in or create an account. My existing account login failed. I know my ID and password are correct but I try to reset the password anyway to just move ahead. The website tells me the system is down and can't reset my password. Which one is it? Bad credentials or a crashed service?

I call into the CS number on the back of the card and ask that question. I get someone who wants to verify my card but doesn't know where the various numbers are on the card (card number is NOT on the front of the card), argues with me, and wants to reset my password. "There's nothing wrong, these things just happen, I can't explain it, you just need to reset your password." I explain that resetting my password will only be an exercise in frustration if the system is down and ask again to check if there are system issues. I get more arguing and more insistence on resetting my password.

I ask for a supervisor. 15 minutes later I'm told there are no supervisors and they'll call me back within 24 hours. I assure the CSR that I can wait on the phone. Another 15 minutes later I get a supervisor who also wants to argue and reset my password. I eventually get her to actually listen and she realizes they have a technical issue, asks for a screenshot, and opens a ticket for the problem.

It shouldn't have taken over an hour to convince someone to look to see if there was an issue, I shouldn't have needed to escalate to a supervisor, and resetting my password without resolving the issue would have added to the frustration. For a financial organization that likes to promote itself as a premium brand, this was a dismal performance for a function that happens thousands of times a week.

Original review: April 9, 2021

It is not every day that a credit card company tries to dump its customers. But that is exactly what American Express is doing. They have this "Blue Cash Everyday" card that is just your basic credit card with some perks and no annual fee. This was a replacement for the Amex/Costco credit cards. After Costco gave Amex the boot, the Amex credit card became irrelevant. Merchants don't like American Express because they charge higher fees than other credit card companies and, consequently, there are a lot of places that do no take Amex cards. So American Express has decided to eliminate the no fee and card and replace it with one that has a $99 annual charge. Of course, in the long run this does not matter, cause in the not too distant future some conglomerate will swallow Amex. I would suggest AARP buy it since most of A E customers were born during WWII.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Almost zero value on this card since Covid, the platform for accounting, statements and excel is extremely poor, as is the travel section which shows hotels in results that are not available and is always higher priced than other companies. The airport lounges did provide value but they are 99% closed so where is the value? There isn't. I recently updated my bank account from BOA to Chase and Amex cancelled the autopay without notifying me then when I noticed my bill hadn't been paid they tried to say it was my fault. I have 3 years of paying my bill off every month. The benefits are weak, the service is awful, the financial platform is sub-par and their annual fee at 550. They won't budge even with no services available. Visa and mastercard are waiving a lot of their annual fees, I suggest Amex catch on. I for one will be moving my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I used to travel a bunch, but with COVID this is my 1st foreign travel in a year. What could have been a click of a button to change my seat, I had to call, wait for them to call me back for an hour, and when they did I had to wait another 15 min listening to horrendous music. I hung up. So my seat didn't record so I had to call but it's not a full flight. I'll be okay.

Now that the city I'm coming back from is on lockdown, I'm trying to come back from a difft city. To change that, I had to go through that again. So, while charting/working I waited. When customer service finally came, what could have taken me 2 minutes on a delta website or any other website, took us another 20 min while she put me on hold for 5 every time she had to look up something. When I pointed this out, she apologized. Nice lady, but come on! What she did for me I could have done in much less time with much less hassle. Really? Are we holding onto the antiquated system to give them a job instead of moving on as if it were 21st century? I can't believe I pay $550/yr for this. Oh, and the hours of operation in their airport lounges don't really let us use them. Something else to look forward to.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

After 10 years with Amex, I have decided to cancel my account/membership after a treatment that I deemed unprofessional and unfair. I have never been late and have carried amounts higher than my current balance. I have always paid my balances and have always been responsible. I found out that my credit limit was suddenly reduced from $35,000 to $18,000 without any valid explanation. The reduction will inevitably appear on my credit report as a high credit usage which in turn will hurt me and my score. After trying to explain the issue to a couple of customer service reps, they were not able to address the issue nor escalate it. I feel disrespected and not valued. I would not recommend Amex and urge them to treat their valued customers with respect. Sad for a business that claims to take care of its customers.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information