American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card

3.3/5 (2989 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: May 14, 2022

I have been a long time customer. I have never had a late payment. Because of the current events and hard times, I was not able to make a payment. I had contacted customer service about this. I was told not to worry about this, as it would be waived once I made the payment which would be a few days late. I made the payment, yet suddenly the waive was declined. I should not have an employee me one thing, for another to tell me the opposite. Very unprofessional. I will not be using AMEX any longer. There is nothing unique about their services.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I had been a customer of theirs for over 8 years, always paid my payment in full each month. When I noticed they charged me $250 annual fee at a really tough time, I cancelled my card...They said I was 1 day late in calling to get that reimbursed and would have to eat the $250 annual fee. Awful how they treat a long time devoted customer...I guess eating the fee is better than sticking it out for the next year to have them screw me again.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I have been using them since 2008 and recently got a Platinum card. The membership fee was high but I figured if I use every day and also plan major purchases like trips and expenses I could justify fee and gain points. The card had no set limit and this was a first and I was excited to use it. All was fine until about 1 week in. The declines were almost daily. I immediately charged about $6,000 to the card for auto repairs, new wheels and tires and paid my exterminator a yearly fee in full and the American Express flagged me. Asked me to pay some of the balance right away.

My card was declined when making a $3.00 purchase. Embarrassing but I used my other card from my credit union. I called and they explained that since I was new to the Platinum card I would be limited until I increased my spending monthly. Although the card had no limit I was being tracked and Amex could decline me at any time. It did not make sense but I paid back $3000 right away and paid the other 3k on the day the bill came in. I never intended to carry a balance because at 18% interest you'd have to be a fool. The next month I spent more on purchases and the same thing happened. Card declined. No carryover balance, no late pay just declined and embarrassed.

I called and once again the nice rep explained that I should spend more and every day and eventually I would be approved for more credit. They were nice but you can imagine I was starting to lose confidence in Amex. How can you build of points to help offset the yearly fee if you are declined at random? The final straw that caused me to cancel the American Express Platinum was when I tried my last purchase at a major retailer and I got my final decline and I held the line up for 30 minutes asking the clerk, the store manager and another clerk to run my card multiple times.

Once again it was declined and I called and the nice rep put me on hold, this time for 43 minutes while he checked and he said even though you don't have a limit on the card, a computer algorithm decided to decline me. I was livid and I asked to cancel and he said "I can finish you off now." What does that mean? I asked for customer retention and that agent was not so nice and canceled my card without much fuss after admitting that he did not know why I was declined so much. So, I get no points for the declines, I lose my $700 membership fee and I had to close my American Express Platinum Card.

I could not take it another second. I feel better now.. I use the Verizon Visa Card, it has a super high limit and it works fine, gives me perks and even saves me on my cell and home internet bill. I canceled over a month ago and no one at American Express cares. I have one last card, a Blue card with them which I share with my 19 year old son. Once he graduates college and gets established I will cancel that card, too. Buyer beware. If you get this card the yearly fee is not worth the hassles.

Original review: April 11, 2022

As an AMEX Platinum Cardholder for 30 years, I've watched the service steadily deteriorate. Long gone are the days when you call and get an English speaking agent that can actually help. Nearly all calls are routed to the Philippines. Those agents do not speak English well and do not seem to have full access to your account information, including itinerary details. After the standard 20 minute struggle of repeating yourself and the frustration of not getting anywhere, you ask to be transferred back to the U.S. - But that will cost you another 20-40mins. And, if you're lucky enough to have enough battery or free time to endure the wait, you might eventually get a U.S. agent.

Platinum discontinued it's dedicated travel and concierge agents, so the personal travel service once offered as a Platinum cardholder no longer exists. Platinum Card service has diminished to the same level as their less costly Green Card; there is no "Platinum" service level standards anymore. It seems that Amex has opted to push customers to book online and has eliminated overhead costs and their experienced travel and booking experts. Given the declining service levels, you would think they should drop the annual card fee rather than increasing it.

They should also considered upgrading the Company name to Philippine Express. I have several Amex cards. I'm downgrading them all to standard cards to save the wasted expense of Platinum fees and to rid myself of the false expectations that Amex platinum service will ever be what it once was. The cheaper Amex/Amazon Prime card has become a favorite. And as for Travel Services, other 3rd party entrants are doing a better job than Amex.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Nearly 50 years as Am Ex cardholder and decades as Platinum. Overall positive experiences when interacting by phone w/ Platinum staff. But recent experience shows major failure in Platinum service—bait and switch really. Experience was major honeymoon trip where bookings made online via service Platinum encourages be used. Airline cancelled trip last minute and Platinum enforced its policy —one that it doesn’t bother to tell customers—that once you’ve made booking online then Platinum is no longer responsible for fixing problem ie once you use portal you’re encouraged to use you no longer get Platinum service. Platinum knows service level at online portal is Russian roulette. Sure seems like bait and switch to me.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Was looking into possibly getting a platinum but never submitted the application. They sent me a card anyway and it took me 4 different people to talk to get it cancelled. When I did finally get one for my business I asked that my partners get a gold card so we wouldn’t be charged for extra platinums and they still sent out platinum cards, they most likely are getting a commission every time they send one out and are hoping you just keep the card, now tomorrow I’ll probably be on the phone for an hour trying to cancel the card again. Horrible.

Original review: March 26, 2022

Worst card company I’ve ever dealt with. Horrible phone service. Was given different answers by different reps being sent in circles. Poor English. Will nearly DOUBLE your interest with NO warning notification for being 1 day late in payment. Hotel prices on Amex travel are much higher than booking hotel direct. I told them this and they refused to price match. I have a 815 credit score, two Amex cards, never churn through cards, good payer and yet they cancelled both cards at the same time with no notice. They said they will not be reversing the cancellation. Also said I will no longer be approved for future cards. I’ve done nothing to deserve that.

Original review: March 22, 2022

These agents lack training. Not what I was expecting from American Express. Agents constantly making mistakes and constantly dropping my calls. I've lost hours of my life on hold that I will not get back. You're constantly getting transferred from one agent to another. So FRUSTRATING!

Original review: March 18, 2022

I've had Amex since 1986. Over the past year, they have altered my limits twice without informing me and did some really creative and abnormal accounting to milk me out of an unusually large payment without notice. I never miss a payment. But after paying for the card annually and then getting the shaft as a reward for chasing them to make money off of me annually and monthly I am done. I will be paying my card off and moving to a card WITHOUT an anual fee, without the surprises and without the creative accounting tricks. AMEX is going downhill. Seems the more I pay my bills, the more they want to harm my credit. I know my leaving will not hurt them, there are too many new suckers out there that think this card is worth more than it is.

Original review: March 11, 2022

AE Platinum CARD had a special offer 125,000 points to welcome the new card member in mid Dec'21. I clicked the box "Apply Now" to apply the card, which is just right next to the special offer window, the weblink prompted me to the new application process and I got approved within 10 minutes. However they only credited me 100,000 points which they said that I applied the card was with only 100K offer. I don't understand how their system was trigger why the weblink system behind only program me as the basic sign on points.

The Advertisement is finishing people to apply the card with this attractive welcome bonus, at the end they DID NOT honor what their promotion on the Website. The membership fee cost $695 a year which is quite expensive, if I knew they would only gave out the standard sign on points, I wouldn't apply the card. To a non-Business user like me, as for a personal user, AE Platinum's benefit is relatively expensive compared to other cards such as Chase or UA cards. Much cheaper annual fee or no annual fee with good welcome bonus points. Besides, their customer services are not as good as Chase, neither compared to themselves before. NOT RECOMENDED!

American Express Platinum Card Company Information