Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

Original review: March 21, 2020

I bought a flight through the Am Ex website and due to the Covid - 19 pandemic needed to return earlier due to everything closing early including our hotel in Colorado. I spent a total of 12 hours trying to change my flight to an earlier one but could never get through to anyone. I would wait on hold 1.5-2hrs then the call would disconnect. I finally booked an earlier flight home on my own. It won’t let you do it online and you can’t do it directly with the airline. Again after a 2.5hr hold upon return I got ahold of someone. They told me they wouldn’t credit my flight because I didn’t call them first. Worst customer service and dishonest. I cannot believe how hard I tried to contact them and the hours wasted for that response.

Original review: March 15, 2020

First. Not everyone takes this card. Many look at you like "how embarrassing". Second. I had 15k in two cards and they CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. This type of forward disabling attitude is why AE is going to go by the waist side. I have NEVER missed a payment, Ever.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I was under the impression American Express honors their customers and fights for them in a dispute. I was wrong! They are refusing my dispute with an Amazon return which I sent in proof that they received I returned an iron for $39.95 and I was not credited on my American Express card because someone believes Amazon did not receive it. I am furious. I spend Thousands each month on my card and they treat me as if I was scamming them.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Worst experience ever. Someone manage to access my account and take $3009 from it. When I contacted customer service in reference to the transactions I was transferred to the account protection department. They opened an investigation then a few days later I received an email stating that the transactions were authorized and my refund was declined. I then contacted Amex again and told them that I was not the one who authorized the transfer or the withdrawal which I found out took place in another state. How could I be in two places at once. They still came back and told me that I authorized the transactions. I am now out of $3009.00. I have had this account for the past seven years and this the worst experience I have had since using it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I recently took advantage of a mortgage refinance and when the paperwork by my bank was submitted to the previous lender, I asked my new bank to pay the current balance on my AMEX Platinum account as I was going out of town and wanted it paid down. My new bank made an error and submitted the payment to AMEX along with their standard "close and release collateral" letter to both my previous lender and to AMEX. Obviously=AMEX did as they thought that they were instructed and closed my account with them. A firestorm resulted from my end but once I figured out what had happened I calmed down and searched AMEX Customer service for a way to reinstate my account and all of the accumulated benefits.

As we all know, once something gets posted into the database of a major corporate entity, it is almost impossible to reverse or correct it. In my case, it was a matter of thinking calmly and digging a bit but found a connection to the right people and group. Yes, the AMEX Customer Service people originally told me that it could not be "fixed" but they did listen and when I asked who the ultimate authority might be for resolution, they gave me an email contact. That led to a communication not only from the proper department but also from the head of that department. It was a headache although not unpleasant but through AMEX, I was able to correct the "bank error" and recover my account with all of the accumulated benefits. The bank could not correct their mistake but AMEX was able to correct it for them.

Long story short, unless someone has worked in retail or has been involved in a major call center, it is hard for them to understand what some of the Customer Service agents go through. How many times do you think that they get calls that are totally false and demanding? I can see why some people might feel that they should rate AMEX with one or less stars but surely once they put themselves in the other person's place, they can understand why they have problems. My suggestion is for anyone with a legitimate complaint to try to stay as calm and nice/polite as possible and keep asking for the next person up the line. Eventually if you are persistent enough, you can identify that "right person" and get matters corrected and accomplished. My 5 STAR rating is more for the fact that AMEX was able to recognize and rectify an error made by someone else who either didn't want to fix it or was incapable of doing so.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I've been a Platinum Cardmember since 2018 and despite the $550 USD annual fee, I was drawn to the perks. Well after 3 years with the card, I must say I am counting the days until I call Amex and inform them that I will be canceling my card. However, it wasn't always like this. My first stellar experience with Amex was when I was stranded in South Africa, and trying to make my way to Uganda for a fintech conference. With zero connections in the country, the Amex concierge service was a Godsend and got me booked with a hotel, and flight to Uganda to the next day. It felt like I was James Bond, on a high-value mission, and Amex's concierge service was my team behind the scenes.

Fast forward to 2020 and I am fed up with the continued cuts to the Platinum Card perks. The first major strike was after a flight from Florida to New York. After I flew into Laguardia, I planned on unwinding in the Amex Lounge at LGA to catch up on emails before a family friend finished work and picked me up from the airport. I arrived at the Amex Lounge only to be told I will not be granted access because they changed the policy so that Amex members who were arriving would not be granted access to the lounge!? I was perplexed and fumed, apparently it was a policy change in 2019, but I and many others were not informed of this very important detail change. After speaking with the manager, I reluctantly ordered an Uber and left the airport with a sour taste for Amex in my mouth.

The most recent debacle was on Valentine's Day. I spoke with a Sarah and asked her to give my mother a special Valentine's Day call stating that I loved her and that I hope her 2020 was going well. Sarah flat-out refused. I was bewildered because this is literally a common request with the flower delivery package concierge service and she was super rude about it and didn't even give me the time of day.

I was already fuming about the airport incident, but this Valentine's Day incident was the nail in the coffin. What was once an excellent, elite, exclusive member service and perks cards, has now depreciated into something generic and basic. The years of incredible Amex Platinum Card service is over. Save your $550 annual fee. It's not worth spending on this banal service.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

It’s bad enough that AMERICAN Express farms out their customer service to non-English speaking or understanding people, but now the fraud department has non-English speaking/understanding people. Just attempted to report a stolen card number. After 20 minutes the person kept asking if I lost the card then asked why I wanted to close the account. This is what the person got from me saying fraudulent charges were being made with my card number.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Been with AmEx for over 20 years. Do not think they will take care of you when the time comes as the managers only give lip service. "We will take note of your complaint". Right. They do not seem to care about my business needs and when I needed them most, they DID NOT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP. Disappointed long time member that never asked for anything but needed help and they dropped the ball. Morale of the story, just shut up and pay your bill.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

After serious consideration and examination of offers available, I applied for a Delta Gold Card from AMEX. The offer I registered under promised no annual fee for the first year, a number of miles for spending a certain amount in 3 months, and an account credit for making a Delta purchase within a certain time frame. All pretty standard with this card, and it seems like every offer follows this formula with varying miles/rebate amounts offered.

Imagine my surprise when I was charged the $95 fee one month after opening my card in December. Assumed it was just an error and opened a ticket and waited multiple weeks for a resolution, and when I followed up was told "I see we have already closed this ticket, and the investigation found that your account isn't eligible to have the fee waived". They will not budge on it. If you can avoid American Express, I advise you do.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Signed up for card. CSR clearly stated no upfront fee then was hit with a fee. I normally record calls for this reason but forgot so I got screwed. Ended up keeping the card so it didn't look bad on my credit profile. Now they raised the fee to $250 and threatened to take away rewards I earned as part of paying the $200 up front. Run away!

American Express Platinum Card Company Information