American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.07/5
Based on 94 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Express Platinum Card

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

1106 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Wow. What happened to this company? I have been a cardholder since 2006. I got the Blue Cash Preferred Card back in December 2017. I paid for the $95-dollar yearly fee before got my first statement because I knew I would be out of the country and would not be back before the payment would be due. However, I was not issued a credit. AE have done away with all US phone representatives. Also, every grocery purchase I have made I have not got the 6% cash back as the card states. They say it only applies to stores on their list. Their stores not ones I shop at, I use Sprouts Farmers Market which is not recognized by AE as a grocery store. I have been fighting for 3 months for my $95 credit. No luck. I have sent proof of payment only to get a letter from stating that the payment was applied to another members account with the same banking information and therefore no credit will be issued. What??? The **! This card will be never be used again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I work for a company that processed a credit card purchase for a customer totaling in over $50,000.00. We delivered all goods to said customer, and they signed a completion form stating they were satisfied with everything however there were a couple minor issues with their purchase that they were not happy with. Although the product that was delivered to the customer was 100% functional in every way, my company went above and beyond for this customer to make them happy with our product. Unfortunately, some of the things that the customer wanted fixed were dependent upon weather and we were unable to complete them due to the weather taking a turn for the worse (I.E. Winter).

The customer agreed to all terms, however a few weeks later they disputed a large portion of their American Express charges. The total amount disputed was over $40,000.00!! All e-mails, letters of guarantee, contract, even the customer's written statement stating that they were fine with waiting until the Spring of 2018 to complete the very minor details of their product were sent to American Express to dispute the chargeback to our account. American Express subsequently determined that the customer was right and awarded back this large amount. Even though the customer has the product and it's fully functional and use.

Now that the money has been awarded back to the customer and they have the product, they have stopped responding to all correspondence. They paid for less than 20% of the total amount of the product AND they have the product in hand. American Express has deemed themselves to be corrupt as well as morally and ethically unjust. We will no longer be accepting American Express. In the interim we have heard over and over this is standard procedure for American Express. They stand behind their customers way above and beyond to where it is borderline illegal. We feel this was premeditated by the customer and we also feel this is a true injustice and would be part of any and all Class Action Lawsuits against American Express. We are a small business and this amount of money will hurt.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I closed my AmEx Hilton Honor in 2016, Account Retention provided credit to offset the dispute. I later called to close the account and switched to Hilton by Citi. Fast forward to 2017 September, because of a Hilton Promotion with AmEx, I had decided to sign up with AmEx Hilton again. 4 months past and I still have not seen the promotional points in my account, so I called to inquire with AmEx. Apparently my other card that I thought I closed in 2016 is still active. Although I have not paid the $75 annual fee nor was I notified until after my call; I became disqualified for the promotion. 2 questions - 1. Why was my account I thought I closed, didn't. 2. If I have the same identical card, why would AmEx Accts failed to let me know and open a duplicate card? So she could take credit? Needless to say, I made sure the 2016 account IS closed and I am out of Hilton's 100,000 point promotion.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I was making a purchase on Delta airline tickets, I was told if I applied for this card I would get $200 and 30,000 Miles on Delta. So Delta connected me with American Express. I went through the process and The AE person ask if I would like to go back to Delta to purchase the Ticket. I ask how would they know my account number? They assured me Delta would just know. So of course they had no Idea and I have spent over four hours trying to work this out. They can't verify the account yet and can't cancel the account yet and they can't even tell me if I get any of the bonuses if or when the card shows up in 7 to 10 days. Which of course Delta will not hold the ticket that long. I will cancel this card as soon as it arrives.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

After 19 years with Amex Platinum. I am finally closing my account with them. I have to call 7-8 times over a period of 3 months chasing a gift card I redeemed for points. Never received it, each time I call I am advised that they will send it and will personally call me to confirm but they just don't. I even spoke with a supervisor and he assured me that he would sort this out... 2 weeks ago and nothing. It's only $250 so who cares but it's a sign of how unreliable they are now so good luck if you have an unauthorized use of your card, need to claim on travel insurance or get any benefits that they charge an arm & a leg for. Time for a company that wants my business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Complete disregard for Consumer Protection laws. Refusal to work at resolution when they mishandled my credit. Mistakenly added my husband as a joint holder and when I joined a credit consolidation plan they put him in the plan instead of me. They continue to report missed payments even though I pay them every month and on time, they are looking for payments from my husband who is not associated with the consolidation program. Have been trying to resolve this for a full year while my husband's pristine credit continues to plummet. They have given us the runaround for a year and most recently gave us a fax number that is a non working number. This is the most unethical credit card company I have ever done business with. I will never own another AMEX and I encourage everyone to do your research! This company is rotten to the core! Makes you wonder why most places don’t even accept AMEX... Wonder no more.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

In my experience, the Amex card is accepted in fewer and fewer places, especially internationally. MC and Visa now accepted virtually everywhere. Decided to cancel when automatic renewal came up. Continue to get billed for the annual fee, plus added late charges, because the card was cancelled 8 days outside the 30 day window. Chatted with customer service and was told that nobody had the authority to waive the membership fee. While the reps were courteous, they clearly are lying as instructed by their superiors. They either would not or could not connect me with anybody who had the authority to waive the charge for a cancelled card. Simply not credible. It's no wonder they are losing market share.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I am a 15+ year American Express cardholder and for the first time I've been mislead and talked into a new card. I was promised the 40k bonus points by the Amex representative even though I've held the card previously. I asked the representative and he told me that because it was so long ago, that I would receive the offer. Note: I did not need a new credit card since I currently held another American Express card. He reassured me again and I, of course, agreed and with a 800+ score knew I would immediately be approved.

It wasn't until now 90+ days later and no bonus miles that I decided to call. The representatives were very polite over the phone, but after explaining how I was mislead regarding the plan, there was nothing they could do. I would imagine Amex could take into consideration some of their customers who have never been late, multiple card holders and high spending consumers. I will NOT CONTINUE to use this card. I will encourage all friends, family, social media connections and employees at my workplace to cancel or better yet, not apply for American Express. BEWARE OF DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS VERBALLY COMMUNICATED TO YOU. I asked the representative to please access the application call for which I have the date, of course they cannot. Please cancel your cards TODAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I used American Express to buy two tickets to Rome for September 2017 on Alitalia. Less than two weeks later, Alitalia declared bankruptcy and stated they could only guarantee operations through August, 2017. They were still around in September, but we were unable to travel. We live in Naples FL and were blasted by hurricane Irma (our street had three feet of water, oak trees blocking passage and destruction throughout the neighborhood including raw sewage coming up through shower drains). We could not travel. Everything we paid for was refunded (tour company, hotels, US air travel, etc.) EXCEPT the Alitalia charge on American Express. After months of chasing American Express, their customer service people say they can do nothing about their travel partner. As a forty year cardholder, I have the same questions as others who have written in: What has happened to American Express?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I called for changing address of my card, the person who picked up my call with a tone that is cold and impatient. He even told me that I couldn't cancel my card? Seriously? I can get it then I can refuse to use it. What kind of customer service does American Express get these days? And for changing address you need to send an official letter? Excuse me, what an ancient world do they live today?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I incurred several fraudulent charges on my platinum card, and when I called customer service to alert them, I had to listen to long automated options for directing my call (as when calling a utility company). When I finally got to speak to a representative, I had to repeat the information several times, then I was transferred to another department and had to wait 20 minutes for someone to pick up my call!!! What happened to American Express?!! I have been a cardholder since 1994 and whenever I called, there was less than a 10 seconds wait, and customer service representative would answer right away, speak clearly, know all the issues, have answers to all my questions, it felt like being a member of a prestigious club.

Now, you go through automated systems, and after listening to mandatory menu options and long winded sales pitches, someone picks up who needs to transfer you to someone else, while you are put on hold and wait forever. When the other person answers, they have an Indian accent, so you know the customer service has been outsourced to cheap outlets. I am paying $550 membership fee a year for this?! No way, no more! So disappointed! I have a personal account and a business account. The business account card expired in December; it is January 18 and I have not been sent a replacement card. After speaking with them about the fraudulent charges on my personal card, I realized the other card is expired. I HAD TO TELL THEM the card expired!! And they sent me an email telling me the card will arrive on January 23rd... So sloppy! Will pay off my balance and will get rid of both my accounts. Such a letdown!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Do Not give American Express your business. They do not care for you as a customer. You are just a number to them. Even though you have been doing business with them for 17 years and never had any issue. American Express, puts you at the bottom of the bucket when a small issue arises. What that issue may be is a secret. They can't tell you the info of what changed in your status with them. But they would want your info to correct it and when you try to get them that info, It's a whole other process of just your time being wasted.

No Calls back from people you have spoken to, when they say that they will call you back up with a follow up call that never happens!! You would leave messages to certain people you were dealing with and they won't call you back. I would rather use my own personal bank for line of credit than using American Express anymore. At least they would treat me with respect as being one of there customers and build their relationship with me. I have given you tons of my business and no courtesy to the customers for it. Just a slap in the face. I still have a lots more to say about American Express Bad Experience that you sure will be seeing more posts from me in the near future.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Never apply for this card. Worst card customer service team ever. The person does not even know what a credit card was... Yes I did call the correct customer service team, they were an out of country team...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Terrible wait times to get an actual person on the phone. Get told opposite things from different representatives. Very frustrating and difficult company to deal with. Will not give one more penny to this company. There are so many other credit card companies that are so much more easier to deal with and use. Done with AE.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

As a long standing American Express credit card holder for over 30 years with an excellent on time payment history, ie. never late, I was shocked that Amex has the authority to withhold points earned via their promotions and CANCEL ALL YOUR CARDS at will without giving the cardholder an opportunity to respond to any complaint. In addition, the appeal process offered goes through the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as well as the Controller of the Currency. The former is beholden to Amex and the latter refuses to get involved due to lack of jurisdiction. So you are stuck with no recourse!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Worst service ever. Don't choose this company if you want to start purchases right away. After signing up over the phone they told me there is no option of receiving a temp number and card to start purchases and that I should have signed up online. I called customer service and four customer service agents transferred me around and told me I could get a temp. card, but at the end all I got was that I couldn't and should have applied online. They make you feel unvalued as a consumer and they make you feel like they don't care if you stay with them or not.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

The application process was completely disorganized. I had different representatives phoning a few times a day for a week repeating the same information and requesting forms that were already sent in. After receiving the card, I come to find out that the first year membership fee ($150) which I understood was waived for the first year (given all the e-mails sent to me from AMEX) no longer applied. I'm told I was a month late on my application and just received a snarky "sorry!" from the customer service rep - no follow up for the poor service or fee charged. Any complaints or questions need to be phoned in (No online chat or e-mail) and the reps can't do anything for you. It's set up so that AMEX doesn't have to hear or respond to customers. I'm surprised that customer service is so poor for such a large outfit. I will be transferring my points and canceling my card.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was treated terribly when I asked for help on over $400 in excess interest charges on my card. I have been an American Express cardholder for 38 years. I have been charged 29.99% on my Optima card for over a year because of a payment that was late by a few hours. This has cost me over $400 in excess interest payments since September of 2016. When I appealed by AE card member services (talked to "Lynn"), I was offered a $40 courtesy refund. What a pitiful way to treat a long-time loyal customer.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I opened my American Express rewards card the first part of October and applied for this card specifically for the Rewards. I used this card exclusively, purchasing more than $4000 on it in 2 1/2 months. I accumulated 21000 points and when I went to use them I received a message that the points were being reviewed. No explanation, even after calling numerous times. I was finally advised that since I had returned a few items (immediately after the purchase) that my account was flagged. I was later advised that it would take A/X 6-8 weeks to look into it and that every time I try to cash them, the clock starts over. The points show up as available on my account 10,000 were given if I spent $1500 in the first 3 months which I exceeded by thousands. I stopped using this card and will close the account the minute these points are actually available. Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The absolute worst experience I've ever had with a credit card. My credit is well over 700 and I have three other credit cards, all of which are paid on time and have been for years. After having an issue with an automated withdrawal from my bank (my bank's fault) American Express out of nowhere closes my account. They stated that even though I had made all of my payments on time for roughly one year, that according to their underwriting department I was now at risk. How is someone at risk who makes their payments on time and has a credit score over 720? So they close my account with ZERO notice causing all sorts of automated payments to have issues.

Within 14 days of receiving the notice of closing my account I sent them a check for what was showing as the total balance left owing on the credit card. To confirm receipt, I went into my account online several days later to make sure it was paid to zero. It was. So I considered the matter closed. Two months later I find out through an email that I am apparently 60 days late due to a balance of $65.00 that had not been paid... Of course I call them fuming. WORST customer service ever. Couldn't barely get a straight answer.

Finally after seven calls, some decent human tells me that apparently the $65.00 balance was interest from the last payment I had made prior to paying the account off. What a joke! When you close someone’s account, I believe it is incumbent upon you to provide that person with a total of what they are left owing, and NOT four weeks later so that something like this can occur. Immediately! I'm going to be writing the company a letter to see where that gets me. If it doesn't help, I'll be hiring an attorney.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I live in Kingwood, Tx and called American Express right after the disaster to let them know I would need more time to pay my balance. I planned to take out a personal loan to pay off the balance. I paid them weekly. I had 2 errors on my credit report so I challenged them and the day those were removed I had a great credit score.

I went to apply for the loan the next day and American Express had reported that I was late for Nov and Dec even though I had been paying weekly and told them I was getting a loan to pay off the entire balance. I called again because now my credit score fell 80 points with their reporting this. (I had ZERO late pays or bad marks on my credit and NEVER late to AMEX. I spend $6000 to $12000 per month and have never been late since 1991.) They tell me on the phone there is nothing else they can do and that they only extended the help for 2 billing accounts and reported it to my credit less than a month after Harvey happened!!

I am so livid. I told them I have no other options now because their "help" was not actually help at all and now my credit score is ruined by a company I have literally given thousands of dollars and this is my first time being late. I will never ever use this company again. Their website says how much they are doing to help victims of Harvey but it must be all for show. Very disappointed!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I made over a 3000. Payment was told and believed it paid it off in full… Not used it since got a notice they lower my limit to 1000 instead of 3000. Plus added multi-late fee claiming I had still owed a balance which I shouldn't have owed since the check I wrote was for 3100. I made a 150 payment a little over a week ago. New statement says I still owe the over 300. And minimum is 267. WHAT? Statement also stated my credit limit was now down to 600. Just called and was told, “Oh no. The account’s been closed????” And they want 161 right now…so I said, “What the statement was a lie about the 600 limit” and he said yes.

I finally had to hang up on him cause he wanted payment now not on the due date of the 17th like the statement says. Whatever. If they are going to openly lie to me I'm sure not going to pay early. So 38 in late fees rose to over 500. I asked for info to be sent to me from when I paid the 3100. To now he just kept saying, “Yeah yeah,” but kept fussing about the 167. He said I must pay now. I finally just hung up. I'm going to call again tomorrow. I doubt I'll get anywhere much less speak to a American.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

My credit limit was decreased by $12,000 for reasons unknown. When trying to get information on reasons why I was suggested to hand over personal information, tax records, bank statements & check stubs to get my credit limit back up! That is my PERSONAL information & has nothing to do with my credit limit. My history with American Express has been impeccable & I have never missed or had a late payment with any of my credit cards. This act caused my credit score to decrease as well & that is unacceptable. I will be canceling my card along with my wife's card.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Recently I didnt pay my credit card for just this past month (I also paid on time every month just so you know) and AMEX decided to schedule a payment itself for 49.00 on the 18th of Nov and also 49.00 on the 27th. I called AMEX and they put me through so many representatives and none of them even helped me. It's not hard to cancel a transaction and refund the money back. The other thing too is it was charged under my boyfriend's checking account which we did not authorized and it pissed me off even more. I am still dealing with the situation and they said they cancelled the 49.00 dollars yet it was processed through with Logix.

If you read this and want to go to American Express, please do not go. Their customer service sucks. Some dont help and some dont know what they are doing with the job that it's easy to pass you through to someone else who also cannot help you. At the end all I'm going to do is pay off my credit balance and end my credit with them. It's sad that there is so many unsatisfied customers here with big complaints and this is not customer satisfaction at all.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I carried a balance with American Express for quite a while, and I struggled to make the incredibly high minimum payments. When I finally had the opportunity to pay the balance in full this week, I was thrilled. I called in to speak to a rep and he took my payment over the phone via online transfer from my bank account. I check my account the next day, and they withdrew the over $6,000 payment TWICE. How does that happen? I called and the supervisor explained to me that there must have been glitch in the system. Okay, but now I have to wait 3 days to even get a callback? They want to "open an investigation"? With a blunder as huge as this, I just can't believe the customer service. Funds should be transferred back immediately. You're one day late on a payment? Guess what, they will call you 6 times a day. But when they owe you money suddenly there are all these protocols that must be followed. Extremely unhappy and inconvenienced.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I got a card and decided to let my daughter use the card. Payments made electronically. So in September my daughter made payment. They returned the payment and made a charge for the return. Then they found they made a mistake and fixed what they did. October comes and payment made. Payment was said to not be there. After messaging and a bunch of calls finally went paid. November payments made. Mobile app and internet sites both show it. But they're showing the credit limit as zero. After constant messaging and calls credit limit still at zero. I was told on messaging the reason is because of the problem in September.

They will not accept a picture from a bank account that shows the payment made. And now four days later still no available credit. They constantly say wait 24 to 48 hours for it to show. They want a call from the bank, etc. And on the mobile app shows zero credit available. On the internet site no credit available to look at. And shows payment made. Shows status as done. Shows balance with the amount paid. But zero credit available. Worst credit company I've ever dealt with. And all this because of the mistake they made. I'm going to pay this card off in time and then get rid of it. It's ridiculous to have to deal with this because of a mistake they made. My advice to others is there are many other credit companies. And after reading reviews on this one I would suggest you apply to another.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

My wife received a promotion back in April or May 2017 for an American Express Delta Miles Gold Card: 60,000 miles for a spend of $3,000 in the first 4 months, $100 statement credit after a Delta purchase in the first 4 months, and elimination of the annual card fee. My wife has her own business and needed a card to start tracking those expenses on, and in addition we had some big expenses coming up so we knew it would be easy to meet the requirements of the promotion quickly. Sure enough she met the promotion criteria within the first month. We have still not received any of the promotion rewards. We have talked to customer service multiple times and while they acknowledge we qualified for the promotion and met all the requirements, we still have no rewards. They keep telling us the same thing..."We will file a report with the American Express promotions department"...and nothing happens.

The most recent call was earlier today and had the exact same results. In fact, the last time prior to this that I called, back on September 22, I was told that my account showed that the rewards were in process and that everything would be up to date by October 22. Well today is October 31 and nothing has changed. The woman Rona (#**; on the line from Manilla) gave me the exact same story. How long are we supposed to put up with this? I should say that I personally have two American Express cards...a Blue Cash that I use for business expenses and a Delta Miles Gold card that I use as one of my primary personal cards. Any help or advice in getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In May 2017, While booking a flight on Delta a credit card offer popped up for AMEX for 60,000 miles (after spending $6000 in 3 months) and a $100 statement credit after first Delta purchase. I decided to open the card and made my first Delta purchase on May 27 and met the $6000 spending requirement in July. I had such a frustrating experience trying to get my rewards. I can't wait to use them and then cancel AMEX forever!

After 6 weeks, I messaged AMEX and they told me they'd put in a ticket and that it sometimes takes 9 weeks to get the rewards and I should be patient. After 10 weeks I messaged them again and got the same story. I was told to be patient. By now it's September and 4 months after my first purchase and 3 months after I met the spending requirement.

In Sept I decided to call AMEX instead of IM this time and after speaking to a couple people one rep told me it was Delta's fault I haven't received the miles. AMEX said Delta hadn't released the miles and there was nothing AMEX could do. I asked for the number to Delta and I called them. I spoke to a very nice Delta agent who said that story was ridiculous and offered to do a 3-way call with me. After spending an hour on the phone with an AMEX supervisor and Delta, AMEX said it wasn't Delta's fault and he'd work my case. I had my miles in one day! So they can fix it and give you what's due you if they want.

In November I called AMEX and asked where my $100 statement credit was. Rep said I needed to be patient and I should have it by the end of the year! I said I needed it now and he processed the credit and it showed up in 2 days. I am so over AMEX and can't wait to use my miles and cancel the card!! I expected better out of a company like this. I like flying Delta so this is unfortunate.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

During Hurricane Harvey, AMEX decided it would be nice to waive the mandatory monthly payment requirement for some folks in the area impacted by the storm. That sounds great at first blush, but for those who made their payment, AMEX decided - purely on their own initiative - to allocate these payments to elements of the account that are not time sensitive. In other words, if there is a pay over time component, and a mandatory payment portion, the funds were allocated to the payment over time portion.

This sounds innocent, doesn't it? It is not. My card, paid on time and for the amount owed, is suspended because it is... Past due. I called customer service to address this, and they assured me that (1) I should be grateful for the favor they extended me and others in the area in the Hurricane impacted areas, and (2) my card will be reactivated immediately upon receipt of my past due payment. That is right - the amount I have already paid.

Now I had a hard time understanding the service agents because of their accent, and I admit I am a bit hard of hearing, but no matter how many times I listened to these fellows (yep - multiple layers of ineffective service) explain to me why it was my fault for making a payment when I did not have to do so, I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that my personal finances, and that of my small business, must suffer because a credit card company made a seemingly innocent and well-meaning gesture, but then punished me for having the audacity of paying my debt and defying their charitable narrative!!!

Despite numerous calls and repeated assurances my problem would be addressed in due time, I continue to receive calls and emails about my delinquency, my personal account is frozen, as well as that of my business. Of course, I recognize this matters not one scintilla to a corporate giant like American Express. Indeed, were I some captain of industry I could just resolve this with a swift click of the mouse and a transfer of funds from a checking account replete with funds - but I am not a captain of industry. I am an average fellow, working to build my average business, meet payroll, court new clients, service my old ones, and meet my financial obligations. Thanks AMEX. The card "designed for small business" is killing mine.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have been an American Express customer for 20 years. I have been very delighted with their services until last year. There was a fire at my mother's Apartment in which I had to use my credit cards to purchase furniture, appliances and other household items that she need and with all the chaos I was late with one payment. American Express decreased my credit line and raised my APR due to the fact that they notice my use of credit has increased and I was late with one payment. I told the customer services rep. that by decreasing my credit limit will impact my credit score.

She was aware and gave me an option to pay 2k within the next 2 months in order for me to keep my credit line. I was angry to see a multibillion dollar business treat consumers like this. I couldn't believe it and the rest of my credit cards never has behave in this manner. On that same week I received a credit increase from one of my other credit cards. Funny, Amex claimed that most credit cards do business just like Amex... screwing consumers credit scores and raising APR. SHAME on YOU American Express!!!! Your business behavior sucks!!!

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information

American Express
www.americanexpress.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use