American Express Platinum Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been calling the customer care of AMEX since 4 months continuously. Finally, I got the answer today that they cannot help me. First due to ending of my promotion for 0% interest they ask me to upgrade and so I did without providing a proper information about interest charges each month which is approx $60. First month when charged interest I called and spoke to supervisor, they said will check on my request and get back to me but never did. But today when I asked the other supervisor (BRYAN) he gives a misleading information saying they might have not called as they could do nothing about the misleading information giving to you on the recording by rep (CHRIS). And now all of sudden he said rep gave correct info so we cannot do anything. They basically DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS to give wrong info without any proof... I will close my account... That's all I can do as they charging me $60 each month.

I was an authorized user on my soon to be ex-husband's Amex card. He charged $270,000 on the card without the card being present. Three times the credit limit. He will not pay them. Amex has called me 3-4 times a day demanding that I pay his charges. I told them I was not joint on the card and not liable. They then reported his delinquent charges on my credit report. They removed the info on the credit report when I told them they were in violation of the FCRA. Then they suspended my individual Amex card without notice. I have always paid it in full and have excellent credit. When I called they told me unless I provided financial info including tax records on my soon to be ex-husband (divorce should be final 10/3017), they would cancel my card. I canceled the card myself. I feel that they have harassed me, violated Federal law and attempted to get me to provide illegal information.

Initially when signing up for this card, I was under the impression that I was going to get rewarded what they were advertising, 25,000 points when you spend $2,000 within the first 3 months. I meet the requirement, come to find out that there are only 15,000 points. I call amex to inquire as why I only have 15,000 points and they tell me that that's what I "agreed" to. Which I retort I have no recollection of agreeing to this. So they're going to further investigate the cause and go over the phone call and tell me they'll follow up within 7 days. 7 days go by, no phone call, no points, nothing.

I call them again & they literally MAKE UP a story telling me that I was not eligible for that as I am an existing customer & that promotion is reserved for new customers only. I reluctantly concede, but eventually accept it. However, when I asked them a simple question, WHERE IS THIS INFORMATION DISCLOSED IN THE TERMS & AGREEMENT? Suddenly the representative chokes creating suspicion and making me think otherwise. He's quick to transfer me to somebody else in that "department". I ask them the same question & no one will give me a direct response. Their alibi is, "this is my not department, let me transfer you over".

After bouncing around several times, I FINALLY get someone that gives me a not so direct response but enlightened me and much to my surprise, I was eligible for this promotion. So why wasn't I granted the 25,000 points? It's still a grand mystery. They put words in my mouth saying I agreed to 15,000. In other words, power playing hoping I'll be confused and tell me they're going over the phone call to intimidate me. The lack of integrity & honesty was enough for me to call it quits. In addition to that, I will be taking them to a small claims court for misleading & falsely advertising. The way I see it, this company is synonym with Wells Fargo and no different than bank frauds. There are several disparaging articles on this company's shady practices. Thanks AMEX! :)

I have emailed them spoke to a representative at Corp and nothing has changed. I have explained to them regarding my balance payment and why it's wrong. They agreed. They say they're sorry and they want to satisfy their customers. Far as I'm concerned what a crock. After a while you could see they will not do anything to change the errors. They're really not interested In their customers at all. When everybody stops doing business with them then they might see that they failed everyone even themselves. I've only had the card a couple of months and In those few months You can't imagine the trouble I've had. I will close this account.

It's really bad from you on your service nowadays. When I received my card year back it was awesome but I could not find what is happening now. I bought an NHL wire worth 590 rupees from eBay. But I never received the product. Still I have been billed for the same. I disputed that amount which is not in favour of me. But when I called to know the reason your customer support never gave me satisfactory answer. They said they will mail me the letter from merchant and when I asked for escalation mail id, I talked Shivangi your senior. She gave wrong mails ID as head-customerserviceindia@aexp.com. I said it's service or services and she said service. I said my payment date is on 14 Jan when I talked on 11 Jan. They said I will get in 3 business days but I never received any communication from you. This is really surprising and ** fact. Please block card. I don't want to use these kind of third class services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

AMERICAN EXPRESS is a scam, their customer service staff are rude and unprofessional. I've been a customer for many years and always on time with my payment until they talked me into signing up for AM sky. The first transaction and encounter back in 2016 was pleasant and helpful until this recent transaction where their website and mine were experiencing technical error led me to 1 day behind my due date of 1/22/17. I contacted the customer service on phone to pay in full for the balance and requested for the late fee to be removed ( for 1 day late which is today 1/23/17), instead of working to find every possible resolution they (John ID # **) told me there was nothing he could do and if I then he would be gladly to assist me to close the account. He quickly read through some of their policies to close account and hang up.

Apparently, they don't care about their loyal clients and I would advise anyone who read this to stay away and remove all your businesses from AM. I am still in disbelief and disgusted for their staff's behaviors and the treatment I had received. I will spread this message to all my professional connections and have them pull all their transactions and businesses from American Express going forward.

Small Business BEWARE! Background: Personal credit score 815. Small business with 5 employees with company AMEX cards. Never missed a payment. Profitable business with A+ balance sheet, cash flows and P&L. Out of the blue AMEX freezes our charging with no explanation leaving employees traveling with no credit option. Requests my personal tax returns and given the holidays says it will take up to 3 weeks to restore the account. Fortunately I had Chase Ink cards provided by my primary bank to quickly restore our business activities, but the impact left employees concerned with the financial status of our business. I don't think they cared or even understood the gravity of their actions. Not small business friendly and I would avoid unless a last resort. Reading other reviews this seems to be SOP.

Member for 34 years, have multiple accounts with the company, spends about 30-45k per month and have always paid all bills before the due date. My FICO scores with all bureaus are in the high 800's. Much to my surprise, I log in online to see that all my accounts are suspended and I am urged to call their "Financial Review" team. When I called to ask what the problem was, I am asked to provide my last 3 months bank statements and was told that it would take up to 10 days before my accounts can be reinstated. I politely told the representative that I will gladly provide my bank statement copies (with average balances in mid to high 6 figures), but would like to see my accounts reinstated the same day as a lot of suppliers and service providers charge my cards automatically.

I called the Amex center twice after submitting my bank statements and had to leave messages. No one bothered to reply, and no one seems to care. It is a shame that the level of service with this company is where it is right now. No wonder people are leaving it in droves, and I will be doing just that as well. It used to be a great company, and now I cannot think of a worse company. What a shame.

I recently purchased gift cards from American Express using my American Express Platinum card. The total order was for $15,000 made up of various quantities. American Express sent me some valid cards and some fraudulent cards that are not valid. I have spent 10 hours on the phone with American Express without anything being resolved. I am at the end of my wit's end and have no idea how to proceed. They basically committed a fraud by taking my money and giving out fraudulent cards. I would never order gift cards from AMEX or use a AMEX Platinum Card.

Consumer Increased Rating!

This inquiry was removed. Resolved. Thank you!

Lawrence of Chicago, IL on

Original Review

I applied for a credit card with American Express, on 12/16/2014. A hard inquiry was placed on my credit report. It was supposed to be removed on 12/16/2016. It has not been removed from my credit report as of today 01/16/2017. This has been over 2 years and has timed out, and should have been removed. I have called them, and they claim the only way to get it removed is by writing them. I'm in the process of doing that now. I will inform you of the outcome, after I hear back from AMEX.

I have owned and been President of a total of 6 companies since 1994. American Express was my card of choice. In the last 4 years they have moved their communication to foreign countries and made it very difficult to work with them. At two of my companies I had 20 employee cards issued, all platinum. As I was using my points, the customer service rep told me that I should changed to green or gold as my guys did not travel by plane, only I did. When we changed our account to one platinum with 19 green cards, they took our charge power away. We had been charging over 250,000 per month before and had allowed AmEx to contact all of our vendors so that they could pick up additional merchants. Our charge power was reduced to 30,000 and they made multiple mistakes on the cards over three times.

Most recently, 2017 we stopped using the AmEx in my company but I have used my platinum in my consulting business but again, when I tried to use my points to purchase Apple products, they said that my account was not up to date and declined the order to use my points. At this point, I am going to fight to get my points used, pay off the card and forget American Express. I have a Wells Fargo Gold which is dollar for dollar and I never have any trouble. When I call them, I am talking to someone who speaks the English language very well. Sorry AMEX, you have lost your way!!

Stay away from American Express! Biggest scam! Terrible customer service. Stick with Visa/MasterCard! American Express should be ashamed Of themselves what they have done to me and many others!!! I haven't used my card for years! I have a big monthly payment that keeps going up and they will not help!

I have been a customer over one year. Always paid bills on time and used my card for EVERYTHING! After an issue with Sunwing booking a trip I could not attend they would not cancel so I contacted my credit card company. The woman I thought was wonderful said, "No problem. Happens all the time. Goes to review but if you get charged you'd be the first." Called again to double check before missing my trip again. Was assured it's no problem... I've now been fighting with them since November but all communication is done through letters in the mail and you cannot get anyone of significance on the phone. I've emailed requests twice and asked 3 customer service reps who transfer then I get put on hold and hung up on, the last man I spoke to I gave my number to have a supervisor call back today and still nothing... 100% going back to MasterCard. Wayyyy better service.

If you going to apply to get a AMERICAN EXPRESS don't do it. Just see the reviews online... Don't have any person to speak English... Only the machines. I have $10,000 limit but you can used. Just take the time and research everything...

I have been a faithful Amex user with 2 different types of their cards for Over 6 years. Without so much as 1 late payment. I bought out my business partners of 4 years and put all the acct in my name. After 2 months of use they delegated a limit to my cards that was lower than my 4 year avg. monthly balance. When I say lower, I mean way lower I ran my business on these cards. Most months were 60,000 to 80,000. They gave me limit of 6000.00 when the balance was at 35,000. They have ruined my business as far as I am concerned. The Federal Trade Commission should do something about this. Any input on where to turn next would be appreciated.

I've been an American Express customer since 1984. I have CEO'd 2 publicly traded companies and worked across multiple countries and have always used American Express Platinum for my business travel. Our new company, which is growing fast, has relied on American Express Platinum for our employee travel and other company expenditures. After 33 yrs of working with American Express, last Thursday at 2:00am in the morning, I received an email from American Express that my account was cancelled. No reason why. We spend a lot with American Express and for some reason they don't seem to like our spending habits. And I should add, that we pay our bill off every month.

After speaking with numerous people at American Express Platinum Account Services and just getting pushed around to one supervisor to the next, with no answer other than "we are looking into it", I have finally given up. My colleagues are amazed at how we are being treated. Most of them have said to me "American Express should be offering you a Black Card but instead they throw you out?" Many of my colleagues are also Platinum card holders and I am sharing with them my recent experience.

I am being treated by American Express with significant disdain, hostility and a general "we don't want your business attitude". Our company has just opened a new credit relationship with Chase and the treatment that we have been given by Chase has been incredible. The customer service with Chase has been great. We are also making a decision as a company to no longer accept American Express charges from our customers as well. This is one brand that has really gotten it wrong and have insulted me in a way that no consumer company has been able to achieve.

American Express customer service is terrible, absolutely terrible, and this company is a joke. My credit score is 719 with excellent payment history and no negative history on my credit report at all. The reason for going with this card was the introductory rate and perks. 6% on purchases at supermarkets and 3% gas returns as well as $150 back for purchases of $1000 in the first three months. Well I was approved for the card, no surprise there. But what was surprising was being approved for $1000 at a 23.49% interest rate; I mean seriously! The fee per year is $95; which AMEX stands to earn 10% off of my balance and for me to take full advantage of the intro $150 back, I would have to run 100% of my credit limit which would negatively impact my credit score.

I called them to ensure this wasn't an error, and all I got after 4 transfers and one disconnect was "you have to establish history with us before a limit can be increased." SERIOUSLY??? I have had credit cards with $8000 and 19% when my credit score was in the 600 range. Needless to say I told them don't bother sending the card; I will take the temporary ding, but I will not pay them $95 for a card I have no intention of using if I cannot take advantage of the reason I got it in the first place.

When requesting to review charges and penalties fees, I was promised assistance and the 6 different representatives I spoke to, never followed up with my requests and never called me back as promised. I was charge inappropriately and none of the representatives did not help me resolve the issues. I was transferred to various departments and many promises were made with no resolution. It was very apparent that the representatives' only motive, was to receive payments even if the charges were incorrect. I changed credit cards and now I am very happy!

I applied for my card and call to downgrade. They lied to me and kept transferring me to different departments. Finally they said they will be able to downgrade and as soon as I agreed they turned around and said, "I am sorry." We can't downgrade. We will have to apply for a new card. I ask, "why do you have to apply for a new application, do you get bonus?" She said, "Yes." So for her benefit she was ready to hit my credit. I would not recommed this credit card company.

I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday Card and was approved 09/2016. The website indicated 0% Apr for 12 months and $100 reward after spending $1000 within the first 3 months. Based on this information, I did a balance transfer from my Discover IT Card which has an Apr of 12.99% to my new Blue Cash Everyday Card. First statement, I was charged interest, called Customer Service to put in an investigation.

Almost two months and a dozen phone calls later, I was told that the introductory offer was not applied to my application because after review of my credit report, I do not qualify for the introductory offer for which I applied. I was however approved at an Apr of almost 24%. This is a clear violation of Regulation Z which is Truth in Lending. Unfair and misleading marketing, and I was discriminated against after the fact. Will be escalating my concerns further because clearly Amex has not learnt its lesson of $112 million in fines for being unlawful and deceptive with their practices.

Unfortunately the customer service has no knowledge of how to conduct themselves towards customers. I was suppose to receive the everyday Credit card within 7 to 10 business days which of course every company says that. By the 8 day I general receive the card. Well 8 day came no card, 9 day came no card, 10 day came no card. So I called American Express customer service. They have no clue what they're doing. They told me they were sending the card by FedEx. When I called back to ask them if I would be charged they said "oh no." They said "UPS will delivery in on Saturday". "Ups. I was told FedEx." I said to him "could you make up your mind." It was supposed on arrive Saturday. No card so of course I was forced to wait Monday. They had to reroute.

Monday came. Went online to UPS with the tracking number to read not a valid address incomplete. I wonder who did that? Not me. When I called UPS today and spoke to UPS the representative inform me whoever sent it didn't put a complete address. I only repeated my address four times. I actually spelled each word to one of your representative. What a horrible company. The representatives have no clue what they're doing, no conception of what their job entails to be a good representative. They hang up, drop the line, and when you call and ask for a manager they out and out refuse to let me speak to one. They said there was some of my part when I fill the application out. I said no it wasn't. I would have never received the thank you letter if that was the case.

They then inform me they are going to send it out. UPS delivered on the 20th of December. Then I get an email saying 2 or 3 business days. I give up. I can't keep up with them. They don't know what in the world they're doing. At this point on not sure I will accept this card. I'm thinking if I have trouble just getting it calling for 10 days dealing with these rude customers what am I going to deal with me using this card.

We are a Moving Company, we performed a move. The client gave us a prepayment of 250.00 charged to her American Express Card the day of the move. She paid the balance with the same card 717.10. She complained about a damage which was confirmed. She did not get what she wanted by law and a form she signed she was in to receive compensation. She contacted Amex and contested the charges they ruled to give her all the money back. I called my credit card processor. They told me there was nothing they could do. Now I have to go to small claims court. All I wanted was a chance to talk to someone at Amex. They claim to be for the small business on TV but they treated my firm as they are KING and I work for them. The client is Yonda ** of Stamford CT.

I have Blue Cash Everyday card. Where to start?! They don't report my payments to all 3 credit agencies. Somehow they charged my savings account instead of my checking. How did they get this info?! Weak lines of credit given to customers with 740+ credit scores! Their reps are overseas. Bring customer service back to America. I'm calling Department of Justice after January 20th 2017!

Hi, I am from the UK and recently transferred $1000.00 via Amex FXIP to Tinker Federal Credit Union, Oklahoma, into an account held there; I was purchasing some toys. Unfortunately, the whole thing was a scam and, although I tried to recall the payments as soon as I suspected something wasn't right, American Express has simply said that all they could do was ask the beneficiary 'the thief' for the money back; surprisingly, they said, "No." So no money back even though this is blatant fraud. I might as well sent the money via MoneyGram. As a consumer, I checked the company out as much as I could, sent the payment to an account where a name, address, and account no. had to be given and finally used AMEX as I believed I would be protected in the event of fraud. Surely this can not be right. Can anyone offer any advice? I think both AMEX and Tinker Federal have been negligent, even complicit, in accommodating such theft.

Back in 2011 I applied for 2 American Express Cards. I received them and never ran more than $50.00 up on either one never late on a payment. Then they just canceled the cards on me no explanation to why they did. So now in July 2016 applied again online for an American Express Card because they were offering 50,000 reward points if you spent a $1,000.00 within the first 3 months of receiving which I did. They gave me the 50,000 reward points and when I called in December 9, 2016 to redeem my points they told me I had on 26,178 points.

When I questioned them to the where about the other 23,000 and something points they replied that I never had 50,707 points and that the original agreement for the card I had was only for 25,000 points if I spent a $1,000.00 within the allotted time. When I asked to speak to a supervisor about my missing 23,000 and something points she also reiterated what the agent previous had say. I told them in no uncertain terms would I makeup or lie about points that I had and did not use. They kept insisting that the points I had was the right reward points. I will never use their card for any purchases because they just take them away even if you earn them legitimately and I will tell everybody I know never apply for an American Express because they do not honor their part of an agreement.

I have a long standing AmEx Platinum acct that I pay the balance on each month. I received a past due notice from AmEx by mail on a Blue Sky acct is not mine. Balance of $536.00. I have been calling cs and their fraud # for a month. Each time I call I get a different response, from "we will open an investigation" to "everything is alright on your account, don't worry". Most of the time I have a very difficult time understanding the cs rep, as they are Indian, and speak very rapidly.

Today I was told not to worry again, and that they do not want to see any of the 5 letters I have received in the mail regarding this investigation, even though they have no record and I advised them that I believe they did not come from AmEx. Each of the 5 letters have a different acct end #. I have very, very good credit and I'm now worried that my credit history will be destroyed by this fraud. This seems like the same type of thing Wells Fargo was just exposed as doing - I think AmEx opened the Blue Sky acct in my name and now it seems that there may be 4 or 5 additional accounts opened in my name. I am seriously considering filing a report with the Dept of Justice, and the local police.

Very poor customer service. I only spend 10k a month on my card for since 2009. Call in to customer service and will never get the same answer twice. I never carry a balance. The only reason I use them is for Starwood points. If you don't need that, I would suggest you take your business elsewhere. Very sad company.

I have a renewing payment on my Amex card that I wanted to stop. I called and spoke to someone that speaks 100 miles an hour in a soft squeaky voice that is impossible to understand. After several attempts to get the woman to slow down and enunciate so she could be understood, I was finally able to communicate that I wanted to cancel to renewing charge. She went into a "disclosure" rant that I had to stop after several minutes to ask who she is protecting, her customer or the merchant. She told me that if she was going to stop the renewing payment I'd have to listen to her disclosure.

I then asked if it would be easier just to cancel my very good account without having to listen to all of their nonsense and she asked if that is what I want to do. I answered yes. She cancelled the account and I hung up. So much easier just to drop them then to ask them to assist with your account. That is a very good business model that all credit card companies should adopt. Remember this when you think of doing business with these self-important elitists.

I applied for & received an Amex Blue Cash card with a $10,000 limit. I took advantage of their balance transfer option and transferred balances of $2406 and $161 from other credit accounts to my new Amex account. When the transfer finally happened, I noticed I was charged twice for both transfers, making my balance over $5000 instead of half that which it was supposed to be. I immediately called Amex customer service. All of the customer service reps I spoke with were located outside the USA and I had difficulty understanding any of them (5 different reps). When I finally could speak to someone I could understand they assured me that Amex was aware of their mistakes and were in the process of fixing it. I was assured I would not be billed for their mistake, and that it would be removed. 3 weeks later and it still was not removed.

I called after receiving an email of my statement showing me billed for the duplicate balance transfers that were not removed. I was connected to Smirti in India, their cs rep. I asked for a supervisor and was told Varun was in a meeting and would call me back in 24 hours. My credit score has gone from 722 to 631 because of this error by Amex! This has ruined my life. Amex assures me they are working on this issue. 3 weeks and nothing has been done. Nobody knows why, but they are working on it! Sure they are!!?? My balance should be around $2550. Instead it’s showing as double that amount. I hate hate hate Amex and wish I never ever got the Blue Cash card as they have ruined my freakin life. I have been dropped by one of my current creditors because of my low credit rating now because of Amex error!!! Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about Amex.

After calling and requesting assistance with a gift card order the rep states her computer isn't working and I need to be transferred. This is after 30 minutes of waiting. Third rep stated we can't place the order even if the second rep stated all info was received. We have spent 10s of thousands since we opened the account. I have now cancelled mine and another personal card. The rates are high and the rewards program is more of a gimmick. The cards benefits are also limited. The customer service was a joke. Many like AmEx have forgotten the individual customer and don't seem to care as they have such a large CC portfolio.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Profile