Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
American Express Platinum Card
3.77/5

American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1263 American Express Platinum Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been with them for over 10 years and it has been a terrific experience. I wanted to add another card with a low interest rate and no yearly fee and this fit me 6 years after my divorce and I was rebuilding my credit. I also enjoyed the points as it has helped me buy a Weber grill and building supplies for our house through Home Depot gift cards. My wife lost her wallet a couple years ago and because the members have separate numbers they did not have to cancel my card and the new card arrived in about 3 days! Also last year twice I had a weird $1 charge on Google Play and I am on an iPhone so they reversed the charges. I am an AmEx member for life.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had an issue with Amex Platinum offer - I was supposed to get 10% back from Amex if I purchase from Nordstrom Rack, which I did but the order was processed by Hautelook (owned by Nordstrom) so Amex refused to give me 10% back. At first, I called up and complained and Amex could not help me, however, they said they would look into it. Two weeks later, they actually did look into this issue and corrected the problem for us. I got my 10% back in my account!! It was obviously the Amex Marketing's misleading advertisement but I'm sure they received quite a few complaints on this offer and eventually Amex listened to the customers. I respect that Amex realized its fault and corrected the issue. I have been with Amex more than 20 years and this was the only issue I ever encountered with them, and had a happy ending for us. I'm sure I will be the Platinum member for many more years.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

American Express are one of my favourite companies - the customer service is always fantastic and, if you learn enough about how the cards work, the benefits are brilliant! I like them so much most of my blog is about earning reward points!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

American Express is a huge company that is far from customer-centric and plays the numbers game of being commodity that is just like everyone else. I've been with them since 1986. They started going down hill in the mid 1990s. Since then I've cancelled my cards and came back a couple of times. The next time I cancel, I will not be coming back.

You know what they say about business, if they are not growing then they are dying. American Express is a dying company. They offer less value for the price of any other charge or credit card. The only people you can ever speak with are customer service. Try calling their home number in New York and see if they connect you with anyone. If you insist on speaking with someone, then receptionist will shoot you over to customer service or just hang up on you.

Their customer service people are fine, but they are not empowered to get anything done and are at the mercy of the people behind the curtain. As for the people behind the curtain, they could not care less about their clients. American Express is a crap company that will eventually fail and when they do our politicians had better not even think about bailing them out. Any company that can't survive on its own deserves to be out of business.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I called to transfer my credit as cash and they said it is not possible with my AmEx card and motivated me to apply for another card with 15 month 0% APR. He talked 10 minutes to convince me with that offer and finally after 30 minutes of talk and getting info, said, "Congratulation!! Your application has been approved" and so on. The next day I called and and ask about the benefit, the new representer said I should wait my card to be delivered. Then after 3 days I received my card with NO BENEFITS!!! Literally nothing!

I called them and after a few hours discussion and passing me from one representer to another supervisor, eventually they said: "WE APOLOGIZE! YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED BUT WITH NO BENEFIT!!!!" I was like what? Your representer suggested this offer and literally talked 10 minutes to persuade me and the only reason I accept was its benefit and.... Again as always they only said: "We apologize for this. We cannot change this situation." They just forced me to open another card with them that is USELESS for me!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I had apply for this card 5 months ago when they were offering welcome bonus of 150$ if I spent 1000 in 3 months. I have given more than 5000$ business and I called them to find out about my welcome bonus. They made excuses like 1. "It's your credit report history." I have 710 score. 2. Reason they say was when I applied for the card there was a pop up which told me I decided to receive the welcome bonus. Worst service. I expected more from American Express.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I agree with a lot of the negative reviews because they are true and accurate about dealing with American Express. My recent bad experience with this company happened last week. To make a long story short after checking out of the Ritz Carlton because of terrible service I went to the Four Seasons Hotel to check in, and my Starwood Preferred Card (Marriott Bonvoy) was declined twice so, I called Amex. The agent told me I only have $79.00 available. I was horrified and shocked!

This bad management company dropped my available balance down by $7500.00 for no reason without even notifying me. I have never missed, paid late and I pay more than is required. Amex they offered me a chance to appeal on the phone with one caveat. If I pay $1170.00 by October 8, 2019 they would put my limit back to where it originally was. I am going to do better than that - I am going to pay off all Amex cards and close all accounts. I do not need Amex cards. This company can go bankrupt. I wouldn't lift a finger to help it. By the way Warren Buffet has a huge investment in this company!!

Original review: July 29, 2019

American Express no longer backs their customers on disputes. I recently bought tickets to a baseball game from Viagogo. I received tickets unknowingly for the wrong date. Drove over 4 hours to find out they sent me tickets for the wrong date which I couldn't use. Obviously it was Viagogo that made the error. I disputed it with both Viagogo and American Express and neither Company admitted to the mistake. I am therefore out $111.33 for the tickets plus travel expenses! Don't expect American Express to help with disputes! RS

Original review: July 28, 2019

Rented a car in Iceland this spring and decided to pay with my Platinum Card because I remembered that the card includes auto rental coverage when paying with this card. We had a little fender bender which resulted in a claim. Amex paid only for the damages, and not for another $680 in administrative fees and loss of use fees. Amex will tell you that these fees may be covered if supported by documentation, but when the rental car company shows you their small print that says that they are not obligated to provide documentation to support these charges then you will find yourself in a loophole. And that’s how you get stuck with charges that you thought would be covered. Amex should be more truthful in selling this as a limited policy. Very disappointed in this classic case of insurance trickery!

Original review: July 24, 2019

Applied for a received the AMEX Platinum Card as I was drawn to the low-interest rate and concert perks. Within two months they raised my limit substantially. It wasn't until I made a large purchase a few months later that I realized they arbitrarily lowered the limit without informing me at all. Ridiculous. As a side-note the customer service seems neutered and uninspired no matter what you call about, it's almost like everything is scripted. If you want to be embarrassed or stranded at a checkout - choose this card and company.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information