2. Finance

American Express Platinum Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5
Based on 1,103 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Being a avid traveler for work and pleasure the Amex card provides me with ample opportunities to trace more, earn more miles on things I buy every day and also gives me peace of mind against fraud. The fact that I’m able to gain Delta points on buying groceries and through end of July if I shop at local stores they are giving me 4x the points makes the card great but they are also promoting shopping small.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I am a longtime user of American Express and rate it highly for ease of use and customer service. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t resolved courteously and efficiently whether it be a lost card or a charge I didn’t recognize. I believe Amex to be head and shoulders above the rest. Also very helpful with travel.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

The rewards take a lot of miles to get. You have to travel a lot to access them. The free checked bag and early boarding are a plus and the free companion pass are the perks that can be utilized easily. The yearly payment is steep for the occasional traveler.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I can use the card pretty much anywhere and the Customer Service is always very nice and helpful! I don't ever have any problem using the card even when I am close to my limit. They also have Credit protection which they watch the usage of my card and if it is ever used outside of the realm of my physical address -- they notify me as to why it is being used. I appreciate this.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have been with American Express for some time and have always had good service however the one time that I did challenge a charge on my Amex Card it took forever to resolve through their Customer Service. Since then I have have been a leery of charging too much on the Card for fear I may not be reimbursed should a unlawful entry be made.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

American Express commands high merchant fees and high card member fees for a reason - they had excellent customer service. However, their service has declined precipitously over the last few years. They used to be excellent at resolving charge disputes and replacing lost cards anywhere in the world within a day or two. I have had an AMEX card for over 3 decades, and had my Delta Airlines Platinum Card for over two decades. I recently closed that and got the Delta Airlines Select Card, which has an even higher fee, because it gives me access to Delta's lounges. They issued my new card with the standard initial limit of $10,000.

After a few months I requested a credit limit increase to the $16,000 level I had carried on my previous AMEX Platinum Card so I could charge $14,000 in home repairs I was doing to prepare my house for sale. AMEX had my complete payment history for years at the higher credit limit, but refused to raise my limit. I like the card because it generates a lot of airline miles for me, but their customer service is not what it used to be. Previously, I could work with them to address this issue, but now they simply seem to use credit scores which highly inaccurate.

Around the time I changed cards, my credit score did dip significantly because I closed a number of credit cards to eliminate my wife from the cards as she is ill and not capable of making relevant financial decisions. I re-opened all these credit accounts and an additional one, but this reduced my credit history because credit bureaus ignore all history for closed accounts no matter how relevant it may be. Further, an auto dealer made five unauthorized credit inquiries for auto financing with regard to a car for which I paid cash. I also paid off my mortgage which reduced my credit score further.

It is sad to see that AMEX is basing creditworthiness on these ignorant credit scores that ignore your assets (like owning your home outright, and having significant retirement savings), and income. The CEOs of these credit bureaus testified in front of congress that no creditor should use credit scores alone without considering assets and income. Unfortunately, that is what AMEX now does.

My biggest complaint is that they just recently increased my credit limit by $3,000, but they never bothered to tell me. I received no letter, or email and was actually informed by one of these incompetent credit bureaus. As a long standing customer of AMEX I believe I would have been able to work this out in a mutually agreeable settlement, but now their policies are standardized and automated, and do not justify their exorbitant fees. Nor do they communicate these relevant changes to your account. This would have never happened years ago.

I will keep my AMEX card until I move away from Atlanta (a big Delta hub), which I may do upon retirement. However, I will cancel it and swap it for the appropriate airline card for the nearest hub to my location. In the meantime, I simply charge whatever I want in multiple transactions and then pay them off right away several times a month so my balance never goes over the card limit. Please keep this strategy in mind if you are constrained in a similar way by AMEX or other credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

This card has been nothing but a hassle, even four months after canceling it. First time I canceled it was last Sept after paying account in full and getting agreement from rep to drop late fee. I canceled card because even though "late fee dropped," the rep told me I had to go ahead and pay it anyway and then in a month they would refund it. That made no sense, so I canceled card. I thought. Got another bill, so called in and paid off evidently some charge that they claimed had not hard posted in Sept...plus late fees. So, I canceled card *again* and paid off charges *again* and rep agreed to drop late fees *again*. Then, in Dec I get another email about damn late fees. At least the card finally canceled...I think. So I call in and rep says can't cancel late fees (which were already canceled 2x) but could escalate my "case" to some other office who would let me know their decision.

I told them I would go ahead and file complaint with BBB which I did. Never heard (so far) from this other office. Have continued to get letters claiming I owe $123 in late fees, when as far as I know all charges were paid in Sept or Oct. So today I get an email saying they received a "cease and desist order" and would no longer be contacting me for their collection efforts. That is just a word game. I never requested they stop contacting me for collection efforts. I requested they stop acting like I owe them something. See...they have not stopped claiming I owe them something, have not stopped digging my credit reports, etc.

So I called 4 times and got hung up on twice and received lots of seemingly passive-aggressive games from the reps. Things like asking for endless verification info including full social security and a "pin number" that I never set up for account (note that phone tree can identify based on last 5 of account which I have from their emails--but a couple of the reps seemingly could not use that). Have repeatedly run into these--my beliefs and opinions--passive-aggressive games that require numerous calls and never get anywhere. So all this is why I am giving Amex a one-star review. They are lying and likely will require me to pay them yet again for nothing...since I owe them nothing. And even then, will it be over...? I do not know. All my beliefs and opinions...I would never recommend this company to *anyone*. They used to be great. I consider them name-brand scammers based on my experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express has this weird cash advance program. Your cash advance say $1,000 and get the $1,000 from the atm. However, 2 days later, amex goes into your bank account and gets the $1,000 back plus adds $24 or so in fees. What's the point?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Everywhere online you read that American Express gives you an instant card number upon account creation if you apply online. That's a lie. They didn't give me one, they didn't explain why they didn't, and hours of talking with customer service on the phone and online produced absolutely no result. They refuse to expedite the shipping of the card which would take 10 days through the regular mail and they refused to explain why they didn't give me an instant card number. Every representative gave me the same canned response. If this is the way I'm treated when I'm just starting out with the company, I don't think I will be staying with them any longer than it takes to get my reward points and get out of there.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

We are so sorry for having gotten an American Express card for our Non-Profit. It has proved to be useless. Every time we try to make a charge it is turned down. We have a $15000 limit and have never gotten anywhere near that in charges yet get declined constantly and have to call to get it cleared. It is extremely embarrassing. We have now talked to 11 different agents over the last week and after getting switched back and forth for extended periods they each told us they cleared up the issue. So we go back and try the charge again and once again it does not go through. So each time we have to use another credit card which of course goes through with no problems. Using American Express is a total waste of time and effort. DO NOT DEPEND ON AMERICAN EXPRESS!

American Express Platinum Card Company Information