2. Finance

American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.51/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 31, 2020

Being a avid traveler for work and pleasure the Amex card provides me with ample opportunities to trace more, earn more miles on things I buy every day and also gives me peace of mind against fraud. The fact that I’m able to gain Delta points on buying groceries and through end of July if I shop at local stores they are giving me 4x the points makes the card great but they are also promoting shopping small.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I am a longtime user of American Express and rate it highly for ease of use and customer service. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t resolved courteously and efficiently whether it be a lost card or a charge I didn’t recognize. I believe Amex to be head and shoulders above the rest. Also very helpful with travel.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I can use the card pretty much anywhere and the Customer Service is always very nice and helpful! I don't ever have any problem using the card even when I am close to my limit. They also have Credit protection which they watch the usage of my card and if it is ever used outside of the realm of my physical address -- they notify me as to why it is being used. I appreciate this.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have been with American Express for some time and have always had good service however the one time that I did challenge a charge on my Amex Card it took forever to resolve through their Customer Service. Since then I have have been a leery of charging too much on the Card for fear I may not be reimbursed should a unlawful entry be made.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I recently took advantage of a mortgage refinance and when the paperwork by my bank was submitted to the previous lender, I asked my new bank to pay the current balance on my AMEX Platinum account as I was going out of town and wanted it paid down. My new bank made an error and submitted the payment to AMEX along with their standard "close and release collateral" letter to both my previous lender and to AMEX. Obviously=AMEX did as they thought that they were instructed and closed my account with them. A firestorm resulted from my end but once I figured out what had happened I calmed down and searched AMEX Customer service for a way to reinstate my account and all of the accumulated benefits.

As we all know, once something gets posted into the database of a major corporate entity, it is almost impossible to reverse or correct it. In my case, it was a matter of thinking calmly and digging a bit but found a connection to the right people and group. Yes, the AMEX Customer Service people originally told me that it could not be "fixed" but they did listen and when I asked who the ultimate authority might be for resolution, they gave me an email contact. That led to a communication not only from the proper department but also from the head of that department. It was a headache although not unpleasant but through AMEX, I was able to correct the "bank error" and recover my account with all of the accumulated benefits. The bank could not correct their mistake but AMEX was able to correct it for them.

Long story short, unless someone has worked in retail or has been involved in a major call center, it is hard for them to understand what some of the Customer Service agents go through. How many times do you think that they get calls that are totally false and demanding? I can see why some people might feel that they should rate AMEX with one or less stars but surely once they put themselves in the other person's place, they can understand why they have problems. My suggestion is for anyone with a legitimate complaint to try to stay as calm and nice/polite as possible and keep asking for the next person up the line. Eventually if you are persistent enough, you can identify that "right person" and get matters corrected and accomplished. My 5 STAR rating is more for the fact that AMEX was able to recognize and rectify an error made by someone else who either didn't want to fix it or was incapable of doing so.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I used this company for many years, now I know who they are. Lies to everyone, don't care nothing, and the name of America is soo big to this company, they hire people all over the world, to pay nothing, all never do business with this people in my life...

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Everything about American Express is disgraceful. I signed up for a Cash Magnet card under a promo offer for 0% interest for 15 months, $200 bonus for a minimum spend, and 1.5% cash back on purchases. I was approved for the card, had been using the card to purchase material for a project and then a month in received an interest charge of $150 even though I paid the minimum payment and it was supposed to be 0% interest for 15 months. I also was not receiving any cash back or other bonuses. I called Amex to figure out what was going on and they told me, I wasn't eligible for the promotional offers. When I asked why, they couldn't tell except for someone in the "specialty department" decided they removed those options for me.

I had an option between this Cash Magnet card and 3 others from different creditors and ultimately decided on this card because it had the best offer. Only to find out, they removed the sign-up offers from my account without ever notifying me! They wouldn’t put any of this writing of why I did not get the offer bonus after being approved and wouldn’t look up or share any notes or transactions on my account. Complete abuse of power, fraud, and disgraceful business.

I ended up paying off the $15k balance to a $0 after they refused to do anything for me and then they charged me an additional $105 of interest chargers AFTER my balance was $0. I ended up losing out on close to $1,000 due to interest chargers, promo offers not happening, and a $230 transfer fee to bring the balance to $0 so no more interest charges accumulated on my 0% interest card. I will never use Amex again because of this complete fraud and intend on taking additional action to report this.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I've been with American Express for 7 years now and had a $33k credit limit. I've never missed a payment, paid late, or given them any reason for concern. Today I tried to make a $5k purchase and my card was declined. I call them to see if it was something I needed authorize and was told that my credit limit has been decreased from $33k to $1,500. Yes, you read that right; they took away $31,500 of credit line. They told me because I don't spend the full limit of my card, they reduced it to what I actually use.

The only way to potentially increase my limit again was to send them bank statements, pay stubs, and tax returns. Just because I don't use the full amount regularly doesn't mean I won't need it at some point, but apparently they don't care. I am extremely disappointed with how American Express handled this matter and I will be taking my business elsewhere. It's absolutely astonishing the lack of customer service and loyalty they have to their members.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

American Express used to be known for reliability and excellent customer service. I’ve had the Amex Blue Card since college and kept my account opened although sometimes it’s not accepted by certain merchants. Recently, something happened to American Express. I’ve been getting hit by late charges plus interest. Although I have sent my payment via my Chase pay app, they did not receive it on time. It’s the weirdest thing because my Chase bill pay app indicated that it will be delivered before payment deadline at the time it was sent out.

I called the Customer service and they were very rude and told me that I need to read their disclosures. Due to these sudden charges, I decreased my usage of the card and now it became pointless to keep the card open as I am only getting a hit. I closed the account and Customer service representative was very dismissive and did not even try to keep a long-standing customer with good credit.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

On a domestic US flight the Delta cabin crew introduced me to the Amex Delta platinum card. It sounded great. You get one free companion ticket every year. You earn Delta Miles. Most importantly, I was told I can earn 10,000 bonus MQM for every $25,000 spend on the card. I specifically asked and I was told there is no limit or conditions. They announced this inside the aircraft to everyone. So I paid the annual fee and got the card. My friend did too.

I spent over $75,000 and expected to receive the third bonus MQM. American Express stopped at 20,000 bonus MQM. They did not issue the third round of bonus MQM miles. I called American Express and I thought it will be promptly fixed. To my shock, they refused to issue the third round of bonus MQM miles. Why I asked? They said, "We cap these MQM miles at 20,000." This is the first I heard of such cap. I did not qualify for the Delta Gold Medallion status for two years.

In two separate airports I approached the agents who were promoting that exact same card. I recorded the voice of two of those agents at two airports. One gave that assurance to me in writing! They were promoting the American Express Delta card. One said we could earn an unlimited number of MQM bonus miles and each time I reached $25,000 expense, I would get an extra 10,000 bonus MQM miles with no limits at all. Another agent said my bonus MQM miles would be limited to 50,000 per year with card expenses. I wrote to American Express and I called them. I was told those people are Delta staff. Well: Delta is know for high standard of service and I thought they will resolve my issue.

I was told Delta has NOTHING To do with this cap and these decisions are 100% in the hands of American Express and basically that AMEX was cheating when they said I should ask Delta for help in this matter. They also said they cannot - even if they wanted to - allocated the bonus MQM miles because Amex controls all that activity (which made sense to me). So I had to give up that useless card which meant I did not receive the free companion travel certificates. I am looking for others who have been misled by this greedy credit card company. Please message me at **. If we get a few people, I plan on getting an attorney to file a class action lawsuit against Amex.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information