American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card

1.1/5 (32 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Let me start by saying I am an AMEX platinum card holder and have been since 2007. AMEX used to be great. They fully supported the business traveler, there were no discount partnerships, and you could always count on them to stand behind you. Their service was impeccable. You used to be able to use the points to book great vacation tickets with both airlines and hotels. This is no longer the case. I booked a car and hotel in France this summer and they, without my knowledge, used Expedia to book both reservations. I detest Expedia. I NEVER use them. Their customers service is terrible and you can never get anyone on the phone. I use AMEX to avoid places like Expedia.

So, when I needed to change the reservation due to me getting Covid, neither the hotel or Avis would give me a credit and AMEX did not credit me back the points. I used 400,000 points to book the hotel and car and AMEX did nothing to help me. I escalated it to 3 different managers and all of their excuses were "the hotel has a no cancellation policy." We in the past, AMEX would never have used a hotel like this. The hotel was advertised as a 5 star and it was lucky to be a 2. It was a pit. This never would have happened in the past. AMEX has always booked refundable reservations. That has always been one of the biggest positives to AMEX. As a business traveler, my plans always change. I am currently looking for a new business card to replace my AMEX. Their product has changed and they are no longer the premium card provider they used to be. Go a different direction with your business.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

Amex Platinum failed to leave out details about my round trip flight to South Africa on Emirates. Absolutely horrible service and lack of acknowledgment of their mistakes. Do not use them. I purposely have the platinum card for travel purposes. Big mistake.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I have been a customer of American Express for over 40 years. NEVER missed a payment. I transferred funds from my B of A account to cover my payment. I had paid in full. $1700. 00. However, due to the holiday, I was a day late to pay. I was charged $29.00 late fee, and despite my pleas, they still charge me. Will look for travel credit cards to use. AmEx. I'M DONE!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Amex has all sorts of great offers available but they will deny them quite often up to 6 months+ later and you will get charged, if they had credited you before. Don't do the Macy's Wine Shop deal, lots of people are getting scammed on that. They say you didn't go through the correct url even though you did....

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

This is the worst service for what is considered a luxury product. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with a representative to change an existing flight who put me on 6 different holds ranging from 5 - 30 minutes, provided 4 different options for my change in flight, finally chose one, then was told after all that time that I couldn't make that change due to airline policy. Why didn't he check the airline policy first?!?! I'd like to say this is the first difficult experience I have had booking travel through my AMEX platinum benefits, but sadly it its is consistently a time suck and horrible experience. Used to love the service. Now, sadly, no.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

AmEx is fine until they screw up your account and you have to call customer service. No one takes ownership of the issue. They are just there for that one call and then they move on to the next call. When you have to call back, you start all over and it never gets resolved. Then you take them to arbitration as their requirement and they simply never respond. Now I wasted $250 and a lot of time following their rules for arbitration and have to sue them anyway. I used to spend 4 to $10,000 every month and now Discover gets that with 0 fees and a lot more cash back. AmEx is the worst company ever for customer service resolution.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

95 minutes on the phone to learn that at AMEX when you make a payment for 14,000 you can't edit - since there is no option to edit payment amount - I only owed $1,400 accidentally typed the extra digit and hit send. This created the issue - I looked in the app for a EDIT button - no such thing available. They have never heard of EDIT or CANCEL. "It's too late," she said. I said, "It took me 95 minutes to get you on the phone" and so does not matter. ISSUE is they want the $14,000 in their bank - so it can earn interest for 5 days then- maybe after that, they will return or you will have a credit in your account. WOW! Last time I use that card ever!

Original review: July 28, 2022

I have been a card holder for 20 yrs. I use the card for business and had 450,000 points saved for 2 yrs. I went to use for a vacation and it did not even cover the hotel. I figured it out and I get about .6% in points=cash. All this for $500 a year to have a card that a lot of places don't take. I am switching to Capital One Spark 2% cash back and accepted everywhere and it is $150 yr. Should have done years ago.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Hidden information about fees and how interest accrues. It's daily interest that is not included on the website when you try to pay off the entire amount. Any time you skip paying off the monthly amount in full, you lose a grace period and hidden interest will show up on a bill the following month. Buyer beware. American Express is deceptive and predatory to scam as much money out of consumers as possible!

Original review: July 17, 2022

I always thought that Amex Platinum card lives with its expectation and customer service. But this time, I had very negative customer service in their travel department. I was trying to book air ticket and went online to book it. It was giving error. So i called travel department and my nightmare started. First call at midnight as I was trying to get this ticket booked using travel department. 1. Waste of 45 minutes on call, customer service said try in the morning as Delta is not picking up the phone. 2. Next day, I still see the airfare and unable to book so called Customer service in travel department. After 1 hour with Travel department they said they will call back. After 3-4 hours no call back.

3. So in the afternoon, I called again, same experience 45 mins on the call. They the travel agent/customer support - I was told that they will get supervisor from Amex. It can take them 12 hour. Well, Mary (supervisor manager) called me and she had attitude. She asked me all the information again for flight. I think I gave this info (my family, travel plan, dates, date of birth, family names, etc.) After 30 mins of going back and forth...they just said, first two calls I spoke to, are not from her team. She said she can't talk about the other Amex team members and my experience. Bottomline: Mary did not solve the problem. They blamed Delta and then also not taking any accountability. They said what else to help with. Well get me my ticket booked. So sad, to spend more than 12 hours...

American Express Platinum Card Company Information