Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More
American Express Platinum Card (amex)
1.25/5

American Express Platinum Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

1211 American Express Platinum Card (amex) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I am an Amex customer since 2014. However, I have been experiencing bad customer service since November. I will summarize the facts. Throughout the last year, I was asked to upgrade my Amex card. After I rejected twice, I accepted this offer at the third time of promotion from the customer service in November 2018. (This background is important because I want to emphasize that I have NEVER asked for the upgrade.)

The card upgrade should come with a promotional offer which requires me to spend $2,000 in 3 months in order to get the cash back. After I did not receive the card in a few weeks, I called the phone customer service team 3 times in December. The representatives told me that it starts to count the 3 months from my receiving the card and activating the card.

However, in late December, after I still did not receive the card, I contacted the chat customer service. They told me a different instruction that it has already started counting the 3 months from November 2018. They asked me to spend $ 2000 in 1 month instead of 3 months. What makes me mad is not the Amex promotion policies but the different instructions from different customer service, the bad/rude attitude of the chat customer service representative, and the lies going around during the customer services, which are further demonstrated in the follow-up chats and calls. When I brought up the different instructions between phone service and chat service, the chat representative told me that the two teams do not communicate, and then he/she provided me a phone number of the phone team and asked me to call the phone team and figure out the problem myself.

I am NOT a worker at Amex. If there is a gap between the chat and phone teams, it is Amex's responsibility to fill the gap. This extremely bad chat service made me decide to close the Amex card and fill out the feedback forms several times expecting the response from the managers. What is even worse is the following attempts to get a response from the managers. There are so many lies and different versions of instructions during the follow-up. One said there is no way to talk to the manager. The other said I can get a response in 2-3 month and there are no other ways to accelerate the process. Another said I can get a reply in 7-10 days. Then another promised I can get a callback in 72 h. The only fact which is true is I do NOT get any response after more than 10 times calls and chats. With such a lying team, what is the future of Amex?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I used the American Express card for more than a year. It was shocking to me that they will charge you extra money each month. You cannot simply trust these folks. You need to keep an eye on the statement each month. I would advise not to use this card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I made a payment for my Jan. bill for my AMEX account early, on Dec. 28, assuming since I already made my payment for my Dec. bill, this Dec. 28 payment would go toward my Jan. bill. At the end of Jan., I discovered I was charged a late fee and my credit score immediately went down. When I called AMEX, they said the 28th of the month was the last day of my billing cycle for that month, so they applied the second payment made on Dec. 28 to my Dec. bill and not Jan. Therefore, my Jan. bill was considered "late-unpaid."

They did ultimately refund the late fee back to me, however, and most importantly, it had already been reported to one of the credit reporting agencies, causing my credit score to go down by 12 points. This is absolutely unacceptable. AMEX stated if I paid my Jan. payment on Dec. 29, which is the first day of my Jan. billing cycle, it would have been credited toward my Jan. bill. How is the consumer supposed to know this? I was acting responsibly and making a payment early from my perspective, but now, my credit rating is permanently affected, as decreasing by 12 points when NO OTHER CHANGES ON MY ACCOUNT ACTIVITY anywhere had been detected. This is completely unacceptable and something should be done immediately to rectify the issue.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have banked with AMEX for over 20 years and I have not missed a payment on my cards and I have an exceptional payment history. This company now has disrespected my service of 20 years over a simple $2700 payment when I generally pay over $200k per year through these accounts without issue. A direct debit overlapped with a mortgage payment and was apparently the cause of the AMEX payment being declined. I was not informed of this at all apart from some strange person asking for my ID over the phone and refusing to tell me what was wrong. My credit history accounted for nothing (near perfect). Needless to say they could have emailed or mailed me about this.

Instead AMEX blocked not just this account but all my accounts even though they were not out of order in less than 10 days with no notification. I am appalled by this service, lack of respect and it has offended me so much I will be shutting my accounts. Disgusted client and the client service is appalling... AMEX won't realise this until it's too late but genuine customers do make errors but this is NOT how you respond.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Signed up and agreed to pay the ludicrous annual fee because they offered 100k points. They ended up denying me the points for some total BS reason, but I still had to pay the fee. Plus, the benefits are not very good. "Free" stuff you don't need isn't such a great deal when you're paying through the nose for it. Stay far away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Had 2 American Express cards. One gold and one blue. Used them until I did bankruptcy but paid them in FULL and closed them to be safe. That was in 2013, tried to get a American Express delta gold and thought for sure I would get it. But Surprise! "The reason was Your accounts were closed." Um ok what does that mean? I called and they could not even explain or give a reason. I guess it was a blessing because it looks like they have done downhill over the years fast. Oh well their loss. Don't recommend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I accidentally overpaid A.E. by $10,000.00. You know the extra zero for my $1,000.00 payment. So I called them when it left my bank and told them of the overpayment, they said someone would call me when they received their funds to initiate a refund. No one called, so by the second day I called and asked for a refund. They said, "Okay we will mail you a check in 7 business days." I said that was not satisfactory and HAD TO ASK for a Supervisor and asked for wire to my bank. I supplied the account and routing number and was given a confirmation number.

6 days, which is 4 business days, I still do not have my money. I called and they said they sent me a check. I said why because I had asked for wire transfer of funds. "Okay" they said, "You do have a wiring of the money and it take 7 business days." Why would a wire transfer take as long as mailing a check??? I asked for a Supervisor again. After a 20 minute hold, they must have a lot of problems for that to happen, right? He said it would take 7 business days to transfer the funds back to me. Why would it take as long as a check?

I asked them to mail me a letter as to all the steps they have taken to rectify the problem and they said they could not do that. That the first attempt to transfer had a technical error and the second time it went through. SO what good does the confirmation number do? I can still see the money sitting in my account after 5 days and it still hasn't been wired! I know it may not be much money to some, but to me it is! So they still haven't gotten through the paperwork to send it. I told them after 35 years of being a customer I am cancelling AFTER I get my money back!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I was recently victim of fraud on my Amex plat card. Now for a company that presents themselves as a titan in customer service this should be no problem. As it turns out that's not the case. After disputing the charges Amex collected proof from the fraudulent company showing delivery of the products. Amex immediately re-applied the charges to my account. But no product was delivered! And the evidence they used to re-apply the charges was clear that this was a case of fraud. 10 packages to two diff addresses with only one tracking number! UPS stated that that is impossible! I then brought this to the attention of Amex and they still argued that the product was delivered. Even after UPS stated it was never shipped! I have since canceled my accounts with Amex and will never do business with them again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I've been an American Express Gold Card member for almost 10 years now (and one of those lovely customers who rarely calls in for anything but makes all payments on time and pays an annual fee just for the heck of it). I used to think AMEX had the best customer service but now I think they have the worst, and here is why.

All of my credit card payments are due the 1st of the month but I usually make my payments before the due date but I have my auto pay set "just in case" I forget to make the payment by the due date. For AMEX, on December and January autopay kicked in and took payment on 12/1 and 1/1. No problem. But then on 1/22 I get this alert from my bank saying there is an overdraft in my account. At first, I had no idea where this charge was coming from. After some investigation I found out that AMEX autopay kicked in for some strange reason.

So I called AMEX and spoke to a representative about whether they can stop this payment from going through. Since I only put money in my checking account whenever I need to make a payment and it takes at least one business day for my money to transfer from savings to checking, I knew that I was going to be charged an overdraft fee. AMEX representative told me that she can't stop autopay from processing but she ASSURED me TWICE that AMEX will take care of both return payment fee from AMEX and from the bank. Though I thought that statement was a bit suspicious, since I trusted AMEX at the time, I decided to just wait for my funds to transfer rather than physically go use an ATM to put funds in my checking account.

Two days later, I call back asking AMEX to credit me for the overdraft fee of $34. Guess what? Representatives start telling me that the rep I talked to two days earlier had no idea what she was talking about and they can't credit me for anything. I literally spoke to 10 different representatives, got hung up three times, spent over 2 hours explaining the same thing over and over again.

I explained that my payment due date and autopay setting were NEVER changed and autopay should NOT HAVE gone through on 1/22. They acknowledged that autopay setting change request was never received and it was strange that I was charged on 1/1 and then again on 1/22. Regardless, they didn't want to be responsible for the inconvenience their autopay error caused. Then finally, the last representative told me that she would credit me $34 for the overdraft fee (bank) and $27 return payment fee (AMEX) and I would see it on my account in 24 hours. I was skeptical that she was able to credit me back so quickly when 9 other representatives were telling me they can't do anything about it, so I asked her to send me a confirmation email about this whole situation and she told me that I would receive an email shortly after our conversation.

24 hours later, still no credit and no email so I call back in. Then I found out that EVERYTHING TOLD TO ME WAS A LIE. No credit was on its way, none of those "I will credit you" information was written on my records. Basically, making me sound like a crazy person who doesn't understand company policy. Honestly, $34 is not a lot, but that is something I didn't have to pay/be responsible for if 1. AMEX autopay didn't get messed up, 2. customer representative didn't lie to me about reimbursing me the penalty fees. Fee is something I couldn't care less, but the way AMEX made their promise then broke it and then made another promise just to break it for the second time and making me waste so much time and energy is unacceptable.

Anyway, I called my bank and they immediately gave me back $34 return payment fee. So, be aware. AMEX customer representatives have no idea what they are talking about and will just make random promises and lie to you to make you happy (or get rid of you). New year and new credit card with no annual fee and better customer service and error-free payment system for me, and YOU SHOULD too.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have had an American Express card (Platinum, Gold) for 20 years and have generally been quite happy with their services, customer support, and rewards program. However, in the past several months American Express has become a totally different company - and for the worse. It is obvious that they have outsourced their customer service because it is now horrible. I NEVER get a person that speaks fluent English and they have implemented bizarre rules that I simply do not understand. I got a call from American Express and I spoke with a foreigner who commenced to tell me that my account was being reviewed for taking cash from my AMEX. I had no idea what he was talking about and tried to explain to him that I had never taken cash from the card and wouldn't know how if I wanted to do so.

They opened an investigation of some sort and asked me to send 2 months' bank statements. Anyway, after a couple of weeks hassling me, they finally sent me a letter and an email stating that limits were being placed on my account. They also sent me a number of letters indicating that they could not reach me via email (all the time I was receiving emails from them).

After 20 years and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars I am canceling my Gold Card account. In addition, I have begun to travel a good deal so I got a Delta Skymiles AMEX. They also have restricted spending on that card to the point that it is impossible to buy a flight of any reasonable distance due to that restriction. It is impossible to contact an upper-level manager so I am also canceling the Delta SkyMiles card. Last, I will NEVER do business with American Express as long as I live. They have ruined the company that I really, really liked with their outsourcing of customer services. I am through with them.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a Platinum Charles Schwabs card which is an annual 550$ fee and also required a broker account with Charles S. My brokerage account had a wrong SSN so Amex closed my account without notice. (Never got an e-mail until I woke up one morning with my CC not working) I called Amex & CS. customer service and they told me to fax and correct my SSN. I used 2 hours on the phone jumping back and forth. After correction (mailing process about 2 weeks and follow up), Amex told me I still couldn't get my AMEX account back up.

So I said ** it; I just want my reward points back up. AMEX customer service told me to apply for a no fee credit card so I can move my points to the new card. After almost a week, I received my new AMEX card and AMEX customer service told me the account has been close and is unable to reimburse me in any way. I had 36k reward points in account and had paid 550$ for half a year of Amex Platinum Card. I don't hate much things, AMEX I do. Sorry to say that.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I applied for Amex Gold Delta Miles Card, met the signup bonus requirement, bonus was applied in 2 weeks. Then, one day applied bonus was removed from my account, when I contacted customer care, I was informed it was removed because I had already applied for the same card for bonus and cancelled it after receiving bonus which was not true. I raised a complaint saying I had never had this card before, but still the resolution was not in my favor. When I asked for the reason, I didn't receive proper response. Very bad experience and would not recommend Amex cards.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

As a Platinum Member, you have been told to receive $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December, plus Uber VIP where available. It is not longer true and American Express continues to deceive customers with such advertisement. Last week I took two rides in Winston Salem NC and could not apply the cash credit. Called concierge services to complain and was given excuses and a promise that they will refund the payments. Nothing was done. American Express is no longer a reliable company (Being a member for over 50 yrs). Paying $550.00 for the luxury of getting nothing in return is stupid.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Amex customer here for over 8 years. Never missed a payment. We were waiting on a large sum of money from a customer who "lost" our invoices. Amex said it would be fine and Amex scheduled a payment with my husband over the phone. They selected the wrong bank account. He called as soon as he noticed, but they said they couldn't change it. He informed them he was putting a stop payment on the payment scheduled from the wrong account and promptly paid with his business account (which is the account used to pay Amex 12 out of the last 13 payments!). Of course the wrong payment didn't go through.

Then Amex tried to process the wrong payment AGAIN (twice) after the initial 3 times they usually attempt it, even though it had already been paid from the correct bank account. Now I have $50 in NSF fees on my account at the other bank because they initiated a new payment authorization or something like that. Guess who no longer uses Amex? I get a lot more free money with my Chase Amazon card!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

For a card that charges $550/year, you would hope for the best customer service experience. I started a call about a credit line that was supposed to be transferred from a card I canceled to another card. Not only that never happened, but I also lost a credit line of over $10,000 along with it. The agent who made the transfer said it would take 7-10 days. By the end of the call, not only did I not get any answers or any resolution to the issue, but the way I was treated (especially by the retention department) made me feel that I was not a valued customer.

With that said, I also canceled my Platinum Card too. The card's benefits are okay, but with overcrowded Centurion Lounges and lousy customer service, this card (not to mention any card from AMEX) is not worth it, especially when you have to deal with agents who cannot do their job properly. I would stay away from this company. Clearly, they feel they have enough customers who they value. I was just not one of them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

We had a terrible experience with a moving company, including them stealing belongings and holding our belongings hostage. I called American Express even before using them to pay the moving company. They stated they would take care of us and that we should go ahead and use our card for payment. We did so and filed the dispute as required. We provided document after document of the fraud and theft of the moving company and American Express just told me that they could do nothing and that the issue would have to be handled directly with the moving company. What is the use of filing a dispute and providing all the proof required if they do nothing but pay regardless? I will never use them again, even though we have been cardholders for 30 years. We will now have to sue to ensure that we are not paying a fraudulent company!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

After being a customer for over thirteen American Express decide to cancel my account, despite always paying on time, also I have a credit score of 718. Also have been a customer of American Express travel. This business will now cease. They canceled my card as a payment. Was rejected due to a computer glitch on the Amex site, made the American Express company aware and they were okay with the glitch and even refunded the return payment issue. Talked to their call center which is based in India, their grasp of the English language is poor. I would advise anyone considering an Amex card, that they have no hesitation in pulling the mat from under your feet, this also applies to any current holders of the card. This company I am afraid to say, has a high degree of corporate arrogance, do not use American Express. Also the card is not universally accepted.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I signed up for the 70,000 Delta Platinum American Express card at the end of July 2018. The offer at the time was 70,000 points after you spend $3,000. Called to complain in Oct 2018 still hasn't got points. I was told wait 6-8 weeks then call back. Called again on Dec. 15 again stating I don't see the points in my account. On that day I was told 3 business to correct that I had only received 35,000 points.

Called back 4 business days later. Was told it would be 60 days for them to do their investigation. I told the people answering every phone call I had the whole conversation recorded on my phone and I would be happy to play it for them. At being switched to a supervisor I was told they have to listen to their own record I gs and I was not allowed to record their conversations. They can record me with their false offers and bait and switch but when told I have all the evidence I need to get my points in addition to the 2 previous recordings that showed I called to complain more than 60 days ago. I got the supervisor to say he would try to expedite but no promises. Every day that goes by I get madder and had hoped to book a trip for spring break. 6 mos I've had this card still without the points. They sure took my annual fee when I signed up. It's a scam. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I was an extremely happy client of American Express UNTIL I decided to take them up on an email offer they made ME regarding ordering a gold card. The offer which I have in writing and sent over numerous time already to the correspondence unit, clearly states that I would receive 25,000 reward points for spending $1,000 within the first three months of receiving my card. I applied only a few day after receiving my email and held up my end of the bargain, I spent over $1,000 in the first three months and continue to spend, yet, no reward points. They are claiming that the offer I am claiming to have received is not true EVEN AFTER I SENT THEM THE OFFER IN WRITING! I feel extremely disappointed and honestly, robbed!

I am not receiving points that I can use in the way I feel, yet I spent the necessary amount of money to qualify for the offer I was issued. Keep in mind, my spouse received the same offer, same day and received their points immediately after the three months. I have spent HOURS on the phone trying to clarify this and on to only deaf ears. I just wrote a letter to the BBB and this is the second posting. I cannot allow this to happen to others! I will be also filing a smalls claims court case and let the judge or the mediator decide if my emails are valid and should be honored. American Express should be ashamed of how they treat some of their loyal and on time paying clients! How do they expect to keep clients baffles me. I will post the emails in another post...

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I would not go with this card at all. Rude rude rude customer service. They went up a 100.00 on platinum for what this type of service you get. They do not update their billing on a timely manner at all and when you call they also cannot give you updated information. Why does anyone want a card that cannot update the information on time?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have been a customer for over 10 years. For the past two weeks I have had nothing but disappointment with American Express regarding customer service, managers and senior managers. I was promised a follow up phone call from a senior manager named Ruben within two business days and now it’s been over 7 business days and still nothing received. I was at a gas station and my card was then declined. I was stuck at that gas station for over two hours until your senior manager did a manual override and fixed my account. Now I just had to go through this again not even two weeks later. Your supervisors were speaking to me as if I was robots, reading off a teleprompter saying that the gold card is a learning card and your limits change as you spend. So why send out a letter stating that I have no preset limit?

At this point is now two days before Christmas and now have to worry about not being able to get grocery for Christmas dinner, because changes keep being made to my account without me being notified of it. The customer service I have received from American Express is horribly upsetting and having been a customer for this much time I thought the customer service received would be put at a higher standard. If a resolution can not be fixed regarding my account, I will have to make a decision to move to another card provider and cancel my 10 years of services with your company. When speaking with one of the supervisors I advised that I would cancel my services and the response I received was "okay let me help you cancel your account." Your supervisor was willing to lose a customer so easily and showed no compassion for his customers.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I decided last month to make minimum payment on my American Express Platinum card. What a mistake. I’ve paid my balance off in full every month for the last 7 years so I didn’t know what expect. The interest for one month was over $250. I was ok with paying interest for that one month, but absolutely not!!! They turned around after I made payment in full for the for the previous balance and the current charges and bill me interested over time with both months which they hit me for over $450 in interest. WOW!!! Over $700 in interest for making one minimum payment. I was outraged at what they were trying to do.

I contacted American Express thinking it was a mistake on their end and to my surprise they felt justified for their fees. I expressed my view and felt totally violated by this company. They agreed to reduce half the amount in interest for their so called recurring interest for outstanding balances. This was a costly learning experience and have decided to leave a company that doesn’t look out for their customers' best interest. Always pay your statement in full with American Express or expect to get hit extremely hard with interest...

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I had an issue with Amex Platinum offer - I was supposed to get 10% back from Amex if I purchase from Nordstrom Rack, which I did but the order was processed by Hautelook (owned by Nordstrom) so Amex refused to give me 10% back. At first, I called up and complained and Amex could not help me, however, they said they would look into it. Two weeks later, they actually did look into this issue and corrected the problem for us. I got my 10% back in my account!! It was obviously the Amex Marketing's misleading advertisement but I'm sure they received quite a few complaints on this offer and eventually Amex listened to the customers. I respect that Amex realized its fault and corrected the issue. I have been with Amex more than 20 years and this was the only issue I ever encountered with them, and had a happy ending for us. I'm sure I will be the Platinum member for many more years.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Do not use. They cut my limit instantly just after I gave them $1000.00. I have never missed a payment. Never been late. I have held large balances and paid them off in time many times. Had a 700 credit score. They cut me before they even got to collect interest on me because it was an interest free card for 15 months and they cut my limit one month before. Makes no sense. They are going to lose a ton of money and I am judgment proof.

I am now defaulting. Makes no sense. They screwed themselves with this new algorithm. This set a domino affect of things to happen and now I am defaulting on every card I own and may file bankruptcy. Makes no since. They also lied to me and said if I opened up an American Express cash blue type card I could do a balance transfer within the company. When I got the card they said no and I was lied to or they made a mistake. They lied to me to open a card with them instead of someone else to do transfer. Very unethical. So I have to do a balance transfer through cash app and venom.

If you have a American Express card and you have a high balance and you are judgment proof install cash app send it to a friend and get your money back fast because they will cut your limit and completely screw you. Funny thing is I don't really need credit. I'm a cash man. They screwed me but they screwed themselves worse. For you others who do not make allot of cash and can have judgments against. Pay your card off now and get rid of them!! Like now before their non-working algorithm screws you.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Been with Amex for over 20 years now and never had an issue. Love their customer service. This is the only time I felt "cheated" by Amex. The offer with Nordstrom Rack was deceiving. I'm supposed to get 10% back from Amex if I purchase Nordstrom Rack using my Platinum (enrolled first of course), which I did by clicking the link on Amex offer page, through T&Cs. Got an order confirmation from Nordstrom Rack, however the order was processed via HauteLook which is owned by Nordstrom.

So, when the Amex statement came, it says the charge was from HauteLook and not Nordstrom Rack, therefore, I did not get 10% back from Amex. Amex T&Cs did not mention anything like "the offer excludes Hautelook". I called and complained, but they did not help me. Ok, it's only 10% but still money is money. And this was absolutely a fault by Amex Marketing team. Maybe they should try ordering something and see it for themselves before actually put it out as an offer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Last week there was a problem with my direct deposit. I usually get It every Thursday morning but I didn’t receive it until late Thursday night. The bluebird app was not working that day as well. Now this week I did not get my direct deposit Thursday at all. On Friday my actually pay day I still didn’t get my direct deposit. Here I am Saturday morning still no direct deposit. Where the ** is my hard owned money???

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Platinum Customer since 1994. Added a 2nd card for my wife last summer. She has used it to pay for the arrangements of a company holiday party and other events. The card is in good standing and the higher balances she accrues are paid off on time. But the AMEX algorithms flagged my account for Financial Review to see if I'm financially able to pay off the balances that I HAVE been paying off on time since the 2nd card was added. What? He explained the algorithm does this when the extra card charges more than the primary. OK, fair enough but it's paid every month - fix it. Nope.

The Customer Service rep was unable veer off his script by having me go through a detailed accounting of my income, job details, etc. Trying to get them to understand the inherent lack of logic of justifying my ability to pay a card I've been paying off was answered by the next question on the script. There was ZERO desire to help me or actually understand the problem. There used to be a time when Platinum card holders were pampered with service. Now we are just shuttled off to an offshore customer service vendor with poor communicators and no desire for service other than to get to their next call to keep their KPI's in good standing.

So basically my card which I use for everything including autopayment of bills is suspended for at least 2 weeks pending a review of my taxes (form 4506-T). All of this smack dab in the middle of the Holiday Season. I'm done with AMEX. I used to be an avid ambassador for their services. They bailed me out of a tricky business travel situation early in my career and I've been loyal since. They mean nothing anymore. They suspended me for using the card more and paying it off. What's worse, if I don't get the documentation back to them in 2 weeks they are cancelling me even with a zero balance. This makes no sense... I guess it does, the AMEX of 1994 is not the AMEX of 2018.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I had a 24 years excellent relationship with AE. As they advertised I never left my home without it till my recent experience. I purchased 2 Italian products online from a boutique in Italy who advertises free shipping and returns with zero explanations about restocking fees or customs in Italy to be charged to the buyer if you return the goods. Due to incomplete information provided by the seller, the US customs did not release the goods to DHL and in return DHL asked for my social security in order to release the items. Obviously I refused to provide my social security number in writing and online to DHL just because I have bought a dress from Italy. DHL said in this case they will return the goods back to the seller in Italy. I immediately notified the seller and heard nothing back. Basically I never received the shipment.

2 weeks later when I was on a cruise in Europe, the seller sends me an email that they have been notified by DHL that I have refused the shipment and they can pay the US customs without getting my social security involved because they have an account. However, I need to pay an extra $319 in addition to the cost of dress which was $2200. I said this is not an option because I am out of country and cannot receive the shipment and they need to return it back.

The seller, in order to compensate for their shipping cost which they were marketing as " FREE" charged my AE card for $319 first claiming that they now have to pay customs to return the goods back to Italy. I disputed this charge stating that the goods are made in Italy, and the shop is returning back the shipment due to not being accepted by the buyer (this is not an import). Then they recharged back my card stating that they had paid US customs. I fought back that this is not true. The good was never released because I did not agree to pay the addition $319 due to my absence from the country.

AE with zero proof and documentation from the seller who just had copy and pasted emails between me and them as well as DHL postage fee, recharged back my card for the $319. The funny part is the first time that I disputed the charges, I provided 18 pages of proof from the website of the seller as well as my emails with DHL stating that they are immediately returning back the goods to Italy. American Express dispute department regardless of my email confirmation sent me a letter in mail that since they have not received any proof from me, they assume I have resolved the problem with the seller and they are closing the case. When I called back that this is not true and I had submitted 18 pages, they said they are sorry and they reopened the case.

The second time that I disputed the charge, AE sent me a letter that they acknowledge that I am disputing the charges because the goods were damaged. However, the seller states that they were not!!?? When I called back today that I never said the goods were damaged. I never received any shipment at the first place, the supervisor said there is nothing that they can do. If the seller claims that they have paid the customs that means that they have paid it. Even if they cannot provide the proof that US customs were paid by them. Now, I am paying $319 for something which I never saw in my life.

Long story short, in my personal opinion and personal terrible experience, AE dispute department is just a name and a decoration on their website. You cannot talk to a single person in dispute department. You have no idea who has been assigned to your case. Just people with zero knowledge of facts and minimum patience to read randomly dismiss the cases with completely wrong reasoning and explanation. I am paying roughly $500 for annual fees of the card. Yet when there is a problem, there is no one who has time or knowledge of reading papers to address the issue. Truly disappointed with this company. Their customer service over the time instead of getting improved has gone very down.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I am very interested in the Shop Small for big rewards this December promotion and had activated it, now that my card was cancelled and another card was sent in the post this offer is no longer showing active in my account. I have made 2 phone calls on different occasions and staff are not much use as they tell me to call back after a week to see if it will show in my offers but this is not the case.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Let me start off by saying I have perfect credit and always pay my credit card bill in full every month. So, I paid $700 for a shady gym that promised to give me my deposit back after a 6 week program. When the program was over, they refused to give me the deposit back. I had to dispute this FOUR times with Amex in order to try to get my money back. I provided 3 pictures with evidence showing how the gym was shady and that I was entitled to my money back. I eventually got the money back only because the gym finally gave in and returned my money. Amex was awful and didn’t bother helping me. They somehow kept taking the gym's side even though I provided pics with evidence. I’ve been using them for 10 years, well not anymore. Time to use my Visa now. Goodbye Amex. The dispute department is a bunch of dumb incompetent idiots who don’t know what they’re doing. Now you lost a great customer.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Information