Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

4.0/5 (1384 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

There was a offer for 70k points if I upgraded to Gold Business and spent $10k.. In 3 months. I spent $10k in 1 month and went looking for my points and LO AND BEHOLD they found an out. This after I confirmed NOT ONCE NOT TWICE BUT THREE TIMES that I would be receiving these points. A case was opened up ** and I was PROMISED A CALL BACK FROM "Linda". Linda you lie. I had to chase it down. Then Fernandan took on the case and told be for stupid reasons I did not qualify. Total of 4 hours plus on the phone. Do not trust the company of liars.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

American Express service has gone completely downhill! Also, they started declining transactions whenever they feel like it. I’ve made every payment in my three-year history on time or early and more than the minimum. According to my limit, I had $13,631.77 left… Want to buy groceries? Declined!! Over and over. Horrible service, horrible card now too.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Horrible service and experience for the $695 annual fee. Their communication with me has been rotten. I am a new account holder only two months into this. I have made my monthly payments, paying far more than what was due. They restricted my account without any notification to me about their actions, only to leave me stranded at a place of business with a declined card. Phone calls to AE were not fruitful, either with the rep, or a supervisor. I do not feel as if I am being treated fairly, especially not for what I am paying for fees on this card.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Do not, REPEAT, DO NOT sign up with American Express!!! PROMOTIONS ARE SCAM!!!! They offer enticing promotions to get people to sign up. What caught my attention was an offer for $300 to sign up. All I would have to do to get it would be the usual “spend this amount of money within this amount of time”. Well I did everything required and guess what!? No $300 ever came my way.

I spoke with 4 supervisors at this point and they will not budge. All claim that a screen supposedly popped up when I signed up telling me that I wouldn’t be eligible for the promotion. I swear on my mother’s life, there was no such screen. Trust me, I always keep an eye out for things like that when signing up too. NO WAY!!!! THERE WAS NO SUCH SCREEN!!!! They are weaseling their way out! And what would it mean even if they had put up a screen!? Why would someone be eligible for a card but not the promotion!??? What kind of scam is that!??? Save yourself the trouble and trust me on this one. Do not sign up with them. You will regret it! The customer service is not good. The promotions are a SCAM!!!! The two supervisors I most recently spoke with were LEE Employee #** and Serling #**.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The constant calls due to inability to correct erroneous charges, Customer Service Lack of knowledge causes them to HANG UP- Followed by Excessive Charges remaining Open along w/ Hold time is absurd while as a Business Platinum Card Holder you’d expect more simplicity in remediation to simple common problems. Their lack of care is outrageously obvious. Open Disputes are closed the moment we have hung up the phone w/ inaccurate decisions being made in their favor charging the company thousands upon thousands of dollars in errors which still remain open as they HIDE THE OPEN DISPUTE within ALTERNATE CHARGES EXCEEDING 2+ Years w/ no resolve and your Acctg Dept must review each Charge by executing the Charges line by line- most of the matters are handled in this regard costing your company excessive time Auditing Amex Bills monthly which we share today without exaggeration.

The Annual costs for this behavior is beyond our Acctg Dept’s Allotted time to expend on Fight for our money to be Returned back to us! Collecting our Money to be Returned is Unacceptable to the extent the companies Board of Directors are re-establishing New banking relationships elsewhere- Chase Sapphire Customer Service is proving to outrank American Express on every single level including points as the American Express points system has proven also to be a wasted exercise. As the years progress AMERICAN EXPRESS has failed to support their Customers & rather support Partnering Companies such as Ticketmaster and alike, placing AMERICAN EXPRESS in a category of Substandard at best, with the Illicit Business practices increasingly above average and

substandard remediation overall.

Business Acct Executives have no vested interest in resolving Clearly Erroneous matters, promising Supervisors will be in touch, which must mean in touch w/ themselves as it’s been a solid year since we have heard back after repeated attempts to prompt the Acct Reps to actually fulfill their promises and job descriptions. We are through with the exasperating nonsense and we work too hard for our money to be giving it away to American Express when they have Low Revenue for the quarter and rather NOT help Customers. The Amex representatives have specific guidelines to dismiss customers once they are requested to provide definitive answer which going to the federal trade commission amongst other institutions for Unprofessional business practices needs to be reported to warn other businesses and individuals to seek alternative means Financial Management.

To add insult to injury, the centurion lounges are few and far between and these days having to pass through security to get to their Lounges is off putting. If your flight happens to be within the same Terminal, you are hard pressed to find them actually OPEN- they are constantly Closed and unable to utilized this premium service already paid for by their high rates. We are done!

Original review: July 31, 2021

This is supposed to be one of the best of the best. I have been a customer for 28 years. The service gets worse each year and the costs higher. Now I call the concierge line and find I am to hold for 90 minutes. They must know I am not going to do that. What a terrible experience.

Original review: July 19, 2021

After leaving an abusive marriage, and trying to turn my life around, then Covid hits. Without notice, AmEx took my BUSINESS account and reported it to my PERSONAL account as a collection. The last payment was in May, and they did this in July. We have had an excellent relationship with AmEx and always paid on time. Covid severely affected our business income, losing 75% of our business. My personal credit was great. They now have caused a more than 100 point drop on my report.

After contacting the AmEx credit bureau department, as well as the 3rd party collection agency (all day being sent back and forth with no help or answers, except that, "you need to pay the balance off") the 3rd party rep actually had to audacity to say to me, "once you pay this debt you can re-establish a relationship with AmEx as you are a valued customer". Is he insane? After they've done this to me, AND ruined my credit score? DO NOT even think about signing up with this company. I wish I never had. By the way, it's a Plum card, not a platinum card. I tried to change your line at the top.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I applied for the Hilton hotel credit card with American Express on May 9th, 2021 since the welcome bonus offer looks good to me and I got it approved on the same day. I received my credit card on May 18th, 2021. As per the welcome bonus offer, if I spend $1000 in first 3 months, I will be eligible to receive 80,000 bonus points and if I spend $6000 in 6 months, I will be eligible to receive an additional 50,000 bonus points. Since I was already planning for a family trip, I used this credit card to book my trip and used it for grocery shopping and to purchase other household items as well. By June 18th, 2021, I was able to meet the minimum eligibility to receive a total of 130,000 bonus points and my billing cycle was also reached.

I eagerly waited till June 29th, 2021, but since I still didn’t receive the bonus points, I called the American Express customer care number. Customer care executive on the phone assured me that they have opened a case for me, and back office will work on my case soon. I waited for another week and called them up again, but I got the same answer that back office is still working on the case, and I will a resolution soon.

This continued till July 16th, 2021, when at last they told me your case has already been closed and as per back office investigation you are not eligible to receive a bonus offer. I asked them why? They told me you since closed one of the American Express credit one year back you are not eligible. I said, why your website didn’t provide me that information and I closed my credit card in COVID-19 time since I was not travelling and so I didn’t want to pay unnecessary credit card fee. Then I asked them if I can talk to their supervisor. They directed the call to supervisor.

I told the whole story to the supervisor. Supervisor asked me whether I saw any popup window saying that “You are not eligible to receive welcome bonus”. I said no, there was no such popup window on your website that would show the eligibility warning and had there been a warning I would have not applied for this card. I told them, had I used some another credit card to make purchases, I would have got a better cash back. They told me they can’t do anything at this moment. I never expect such an answer at least from a customer care supervisor.

American Express, a big international credit card company mislead their customers by providing false information. Their website doesn’t show the proper eligibility criteria. Their customer care and supervisors are not able resolve issues and say they can’t do anything at this moment. Such a big company is fighting for few bonus points.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I used to love my Amex platinum for lounge access and various other travel perks. Yesterday - my family's flight was canceled. Amex insisted it had not been cancelled. We went around in circles and got nowhere. At one point I was told I would need to remain on hold for up to an hour. I asked "can you call me back?" Nope. Can't do that. I have to sit on my phone. Overall I was on the phone for 3 hours. Nothing was accomplished. I hung up on them and will cancel my card when the balance is paid off.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Just spoke to Peggy ** from AMEX. She was very rude and did not understand the situation whatsoever. I was told by 5 reps (yes, 5 individual reps) that my account is cleared for a charge I was about to make. The charge was declined although I'd wired money to AMEX specifically for this charge. I called to check why it was declined, they advised me to split the payment into 2. I did that and it was declined again. I called them again and explained that if the charge doesn't go through I will incur fees since it's a long weekend. They said to try it again. Tried, declined. Called again and spoke with Peggy. She gave me some attitude, which I did not deserve, I did not yell, spoke respectfully. I am their client for about 12 years but no more. I am closing all my accounts with AMEX, business(es), and personal, and I advise you to do the same. If they are not there the 1 time in 5 years that I need them then what's the point.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information