American Express Platinum Card

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a loyal member of the American Express Card since 1995. I am compelled to part ways with AMEX now because of their new business model, which entails robbing members by charging them $38 late fees on a monthly basis even if the bill is paid in full within 30 days from the statement/billing date. Their new policy requires payment on an arbitrarily set date, in my case the 11th of each month, whereas my bills are not issued until the 15th, 16, or 17th of the month.

If this new benighted business model works for Amex it will not be off my back, a consumer who has other choices when using credit or charge cards. The Amex representative had the impudence to claim my other credit cards charge a late fee before the expiration of 30 days from the billing date. He also failed to appreciate I do not pay my other credit cards a membership fee of over $200/year for the "privilege" of carrying their cards. The new shortened payment terms is a bridge too far, which I will not cross. So much for the so-called privileges of membership. I wish Amex well as its business spirals downward.

I'm reading these reviews and everybody saying how their accounts have been hacked and money been taken out... I also had that problem, 2500 was taken out my account March 21, 2017. The person knew my card number changed all my information and took my money out my account. I reported it and they said I would know something in 7-10 business days... 2 weeks later I get an email stating my account has been suspended and closed... and that the transaction was valid. Don't trust them. They are scammers and frauds. All the money missing from accounts is an inside job. How else would somebody know your information and able to go into your account without your authorization... I got me a lawyer and I hope everyone do the same!!!

Hi Amex. Very annoyed with the level of non service I have received and lack of information. When I signed up and received my card not one person told me that Amex can't do cash advance at an ATM. And I wasn't told about how hard it is to transfer money from my Amex card to another card. Please be aware I have send in 2 complaints about this.

Because of the lack of information and the fact I have bills due tomorrow I decided to use payment to which Amex put a ** block in my card. Because you couldn't be bothered calling me and asking me instead said it must be fraud I now have to wait until Monday which has left me unable to buy food or other needed items such as medication.

I have called a number of times each time to be told something different and sent around in circles with no help or to be told that someone will call me back. I've been waiting for the call since Wednesday. So much for 24-48 hours. Not happy. And it seems when I've asked of help on chat can help me. They tell me different to people on the phone. It's not funny. Sort your ** service out and actually help your clients out. Tempted to leave Amex. And it's quite sad considering I read ok things about you guys so to be let down and treated like this is not nice. I like be taking my complaint further if nothing is done about it by this afternoon and also will be mentioning to others I know not to join Amex. Thanks.

I tried to make a payment on my AmEx, verified my bank account info etc. Made the payment, and a few days later got a call that it did not go through because I did not "verify" the payment. I try to make the payment again, and at this point they have charged me almost $100 in late fees. Again, I get the same call saying that because I did not call in on the 16th (the due date) it did not go through. I have no idea why on earth I'd have to call them to verify my payment on the due date when I paid online twice and they refuse to take my payment. At this point they have charged me over $200 worth of late fees. Once I figure out how to pay this off I will never ever use this card again. And now that my card is "off" I can't contact a single person other than someone telling me if I pay it in full I can have it back on - ok. So you tell me to pay in full and I will be ok, but the two times I paid online weren't good enough and I still owe the $200 fees? NO THANKS.

Put a charge in dispute for defective goods from Alice, NYC. Amex kept on putting in incorrect information and closed the dispute. I kept on calling back and they reopened the dispute. This happened FOUR times. At the end they said they paid the merchant already and can only give me credit if the merchant pays them back. DUH! I had to prepay the full amount and used the Amex card with the knowledge that in case there were issues Amex would stand behind me. They didn't and, as per other reviews, they don't. That's the end of Amex for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Credit Limit Increase - I have been a member since 1988, and had no problems with them last year, cool clear card. THIS YEAR? I don't know what kind of outsourcing this company is doing, but it has put, what I considered to be, their "stellar reputation", in the commode. I have paid on time, and have been close to paying them off, several times. I made them the priority over my other cards, as far as usage. Their customer service is terrible. I will pay them off before the end of the year, and put them away in a drawer. Sad, too, because I am getting ready to start a business and wanted to make them a part of my start up. NEVER! They have become a "Roque Card".

I have always been under the impression that the American Express card was the most desirable credit card to have. My experience over the last few months with them has been nothing short of unreliable, unprofessional and totally frustrating. When I say unprofessional, I am referring to people who work there, telling you they are doing one thing, and then finding out that they have done nothing.

I had put an alert on my card for big purchases, and one evening, after holding a few reservations on Booking.com, I received a text telling me a large purchase had been made. I immediately called Amex and spoke to a customer service rep, to find out who made the charge. He told me that it was from one of the hotels that I had just booked, which I didn't understand because it's Booking.com's policy not to charge you until the time of your reservation... The rep told me that it wasn't a charge, but rather it was a hold. He explained that it is a common practice with hotels (this one was in Iceland), to ensure them that the person holding the reservation had funds available.

He went on to say that they do that to protect themselves against people just making reservations and that the charge was just a hold. I was relieved to hear that, and he assured me that I was not responsible for payment until the time of my reservation that was on the weekend. Monday morning when I went to my Amex account, I was shocked to see that the amount was now in my balance to pay on my next statement. I immediately called Amex customer service and went over the whole story with customer service rep #2. They assured me that they would look into this, and put in a dispute.

I won't bore you wth the last three weeks of following up with this from not 1 or 2 customer service reps, but more like 6-7, who still did not resolve the issue. So I wrote a note to corporate letting them know what had transpired. I received a call from the secretary of the chairman. We went thru the whole 9 yards (by now, a complete stadium!). She was empathetic and assured me that she would take care of the situation. She went on to ask me to list the names of the customer service reps I worked with so they could speak directly to them to improve their service.

There was nothing about all the time I had invested in resolving this... nothing about how inefficiently this situation had been handled. And even more than that, it is now almost 10 days since I spoke to Pam at Amex corporate, the chairman's secretary... and guess what? The situation is STILL NOT RESOLVED. It is almost funny to me now how impressed I used to be with American Express, to have experienced first hand the negligent way they treat their customers (at least me). I have NEVER had this level of frustration with any other card I have ever had. Canceling my card right away.

I had a client who contested a charge even though I said I'd refund him the money. When I received the letter from AMEX, I immediately refunded him his money. A month later, they took $1,000 from my account and told me he had actually contested 2 charges, not one. (The client was apparently hoping to get away with stealing from me because he had been provided services for that $1,000 and I had verifiable, undeniable proof of that.)

I had absolutely no idea there was a 2nd contested charge, because if I did, I would have obviously responded. AMEX told me that because I didn't respond, I lose, no matter what, with no exceptions. They never did any sort of follow up letter, or an email, or a call, to give me a chance to respond given that I never received the first one. I will never accept AMEX in any of my businesses ever again, nor will I use an AMEX CC.

47 years a member and I cut up my card and sent it to the deadbeat in charge, Kenneth Chenault. My guess is that is miss-management of the once great company is the cause and effect of their stock decline and terrible reputation with customers, merchants and status. Since they moved their fraud department to Mexico. Ole' lololol. The country of crime, fraud and disorder. Brilliant little Kenneth! Then they moved their customer service to the Philippines (The country of disorder and crime as well as radical Muslim terror training camps, great! Just where I want my information going to).

Then they move their credit department to Bangladesh India, one of the poorest countries on the planet, where only 13% of the people speak English. Just where I want my credit information being held. Where employees go home to a cow sleeping in their living room and someone planning a jihad in the next room. No thanks, no more! Cut up my cards, paid them off, canceled my 47-year relationship with these cheap-** crooks.

I own several businesses and as of today we have suspended all use of amex. Our businesses will not accept amex and our employees cannot use Amex on their expense account. Kenneth Chenault is not qualified to run this company. This all started happening under his reign. Of course I know exactly what is wrong with Mr. Chenault. He can help it, it was the way that he was raised and cultural.

Last year around the end of the summer my husband and I got a promotion for the Platinum Card. Being an Amex card user since 2000 I thought now that I'm married we could upgrade to this card that comes with some additional services. If you spent a certain amount before the first 3 months you got so many travel points. So we decided to pay one of our vendors that we had for an event, with that card and get the points. He wouldn't take American Express because even though we live in 2017, Amex still charges its vendors a higher fee per transaction for accepting their card. So we paid them through PayPal with the card and Amex accused us of misusing it and proceeded to cancel our 3 cards. Since when can't you use PayPal to pay a business? Amex cancelled not only the platinum account but also my and my husbands' Blue Sky card that had so many reward points and now they conveniently vanished!

They sent me a bill for the entire amount for the 3 cards to be paid within 30 days and kept charging me interest on my cancelled Blue Sky account. When I called their customer service department they treated me like a criminal and offered no help, even when I explained that it was a mistake and that I've never had a late payment and have been a loyal customer for so long. This company doesn't care about its customers, it has no sense of loyalty and only cares about money when I have paid more than I've ever spent to their high interest rates. I would never recommend this company to anyone and I will strongly advise everyone I know not to use their financial services. They completely ruined my and my husbands' credit and have put us in serious danger of bankruptcy because we also have a 1 year old, not to mention cause stress to a new marriage. We are responsible parents who are just trying to get by and pay our bills on time.

After 10 years as a customer, I became dissatisfied with the travel service as it seemed continuously on a downward course. I felt it was not worth the yearly fee. I decided to cancel my card but was one week late in doing so. They still charged me the 450.00 fee and interest during the contestment period. I cancelled my card when I sent the request to cancel the membership but they continued to say, "We are cancelling your card." I have now paid over 500.00 for a card cancelled in october of 2016. My many other cards seem to have just as good services for no cost. I strongly urge people by my opinion to avoid this scam. No prestige in holding this card.

Originated my first credit card account with AMEX 22 years ago (when you were required to pay $75 per yr. for the 'privilege' of using their card). Canceled it then after attempting to make a purchase at grocery store - with a ZERO balance on the account - calling customer service & being patronized by the CSR I spoke with. Fast forward 22 years & AMEX appears to have 'outsourced' their CSR unit overseas. In the words of the current (mentally challenged) POTUS - "Horrible". Dealing with a billing dispute & the individuals on the CSR end are virtually USELESS. :-( Canceling again & sticking to Discover, VISA, & MC.

I have been with Amex for 30 years, Gold Card member. I saw a bogus charge on my account and contested it immediately. I had tried to reach the company that posted the charge. They were trying to charge my card even though it was expired. I said NO. I warned Amex it might come through. It did. They used my card that had expired a year earlier and Amex let it post. I disputed the charge. The company who charged my card is EIG, shady reputation of late. Amex took their word over mine and they have let the charge stand. I have canceled my account with them. I will continue to fight, without assistance, a company I cannot reach because Amex valued that charge more than my business. I will never carry another Amex card.

It's been several weeks following the submission of a dispute no one in the Group can explain in a clear and concise manner the status of the dispute raised. The group appears to be very disorganized and in fact initiated a dispute for a transaction I had never questioned. Further, the Group does not appear to maintain notes of conversions with customers to facilitate speedy resolution and follow up; as a result, an exorbitant amount of time is spend rehashing your issue with the next "Supervisor" to whom you're transferred. Additionally, the Group does not appear to be knowledgeable of resolution protocols and quickly lose credibility when their promises of a "speedy resolution" do not come to fruition.

I echo another reviewer's comment that the Group seems to side with the merchant and immediately discounts customer claims prior to a full evaluation of the facts. This the first time in nearly 20 years that I have raised a dispute, so perhaps that should mean something? I alerted the Group when the transaction first came through as a request for the funds and was told "Don't worry. We'll address it immediately. We'll contact the merchant and it won't even appear as a charge." Fast forward two weeks, the charge has now been processed and appears as my obligation. Moreover, I must also stress that this is a Corporate Card and there can be serve ramifications if the balance is past due. In my humble opinion, both the merchant and the Group have a great opportunity to improve upon broken processes and internal controls.

I have been a customer of American Express since 1982. My husband and I have held numerous personal and businesses cards with American Express during the last 35 year. I canceled one of my corporate cards. I had a balance of 30,454 rewards points. American Express will not honor these points. I was told when I called, that I was notified of a 30 day window to use the points. I was not notified of such a window when I canceled l the card. In addition, please note - I called to use the reward points 8 days after this alleged window expired. Given the lack of notification and my 35 year relationship with American Express the reward points should be honored. I earned them. I am very dissatisfied to say the least.

Never had problems with Amex until I received the platinum card. Problems start on 'chat', they then have you call an 800 number, they turn you over to another department and if you aren't 'cut off' they temporarily fix the problem and it shows up on the next statement. I spent a full hour on this BS again tonight. I've been with Amex for 25 plus years and will not last much longer. I work internationally so communication becomes even more problematic. Will switch all of my business over to Citibank soon.

I had been an AMEX card holder for over ten years and was never late on a payment. Emergency travel caused me to approach 50% of my available credit limit. AMEX then unilaterally cut my credit limit by 50% with no notice. Then the phone calls started, demanding that I reduce the balance outstanding. These were without question the rudest collectors I've ever dealt with and they made it clear they could care less about retaining my business or customer loyalty. I paid off the balance and cancelled the card. I will never involve myself with them again and recommend that no else should either.

Error in overpayment on 4/5/2017 and 4/19/2017, still no return of our funds. No credit appears on the account either. Each and every phone call we are given a different reply, a different answer, completely different from the first. Each person working for Amex tells us that our refund being processed, yet no funds ever show up. **** AMEX has our funds and is refusing to return to our physical address or our bank.

Amex froze my membership rewards points until the Plenti bonus period was over and then my points were magically reinstated. During this time, I was treated like a crook. After they noticed I did nothing wrong they wanted to be all friendly. Terrible company - always empty apologies. I will no longer use their services.

This company used to be great, don't know why it went downhill. Been a customer for over 5 years. Rated 1 star for these reasons. Not providing proper investigation when disputing a charge. If you dispute a charge they will take the company's side even if you have proof. Lowering your credit balance without a why or reason. Customer service incompetent. Don't speak English. They can't communicate, sound far away, lack of account knowledge. Giving false information on the phone to sign up in promotions. In conclusion in online world where we buy with our eyes you expect a company to have your back. This company is not American Express.

We are a small business that was courted by Amex to use their cards. We purchase over 50,000/month in supplies and used their cards faithfully for most business expenses for 2 years. We paid every bill accurately and timely as required. Never a fault, never late, always paid in full. All of the sudden, Amex lowered our credit (on our limitless cards) to 3000.00.

All business accounts set with auto pay, vehicle payments and monthly expenses had to change to other forms of payment. No explanation given for this change, no review provided and we were told that we can discuss it in a year from now to see if Amex wishes to increase our limit. We will be cancelling all 4 Amex accounts and we have already stopped accepting any Amex charges from our customers. We have found the entire experience of dealing with Amex to be difficult, often rude, misleading and a complete waste of our business time.

I am very disappointed in their Dispute Charge Department. I have been a member over 20 years and I cancelled my membership with Hand and Stone in Howell New Jersey. They charge my card for $122.00 two times on same day after my membership was cancelled. I called Hand and Stone and they said they will return the $244.00 and they never did. I called American Express BUSINESS PLATINUM they told me they would return the $244.00 back to my account and they never did. I called them # 3 different time and got the same answer every time. Today I called them 03/26/2017 and spoke to a manager that was not helpful and not nice and he was in favor for the merchant Hand and Stone. I still did not get anywhere. What do I do next.

I was told to send in two months of bank statements which I did. I called one week later to see how the process is going along but was told that I only sent a one month bank statement and that my fax was sent past the deadline so they decided to close my account, despite it has always been in good standing for 5 years in which they acknowledged. I explained that this is incorrect and my phone fax records will verify when the fax was sent and the number pages sent. The representative was rude and didn't want to listen and proceeded to move forward with the closure. In addition, my other bank statement is missing but Amex says they don't know where it is and their fax system is error proof. This is quite disturbing. I've never had a problem with MasterCard or Visa in which I have higher lines of credit. This problem has been escalated. I will not recommend for anyone to apply for this card.

We own a small business. We started accepting American Express cards about a year ago. A customer made a purchase using his American Express card. It was for a Cigar Cruise that we had to cancel. We credited his card for his purchase. 7 months later this scam of a credit card charged our bank his initial purchase amount because we didn't fill out a form that was required by their standards. We have since stopped accepting Amex cards. Not only is the customer service terrible, but is not small business friendly. We had to fill out an affidavit and it required much of our time that could have been spent on our business. Terrible and not small business friendly.

I've been an AMEX Platinum cardholder for 15 yrs but only recently needed to reach out to customer service for a card related problem. It took FIVE calls just to get someone who could/would help. The first two times I was disconnected. The third and fourth calls resulted in me being on hold for more than 20 minutes each time after I was told I would be placed on a BRIEF hold. After all of this I still wasn't told the reason why my card had not worked. I'm currently waiting on a call back. Stay away from AMEX. They were once a decent company that took pride in customer interactions. Not anymore. I will update as necessary.

I applied for and receive the American Express Platinum card -- with a hefty sign on bonus... When the bonus showed up it was for half the amount advertised. I then called for the missing amount (the whole amount I was awarded since it too was now missing). I was told a year later that I did not meet the required amount to spend by $168 and it was a mistake to give me the award at all. I asked for a one time allowance and was told it was a lot of miles and maybe if I hold on they might give me a smaller amount. Really? I responded that I would wait for my annual fee to renew and cancel the card...and I would try to find the original amount advertised with the offer to join... Come on AMEX, this is the best you can do with customer service. Our family will be moving to a company that stands by its advertising. NO THANKS for nothing AMEX.

I send via online banking American Express payment to arrive 2-3 weeks in advance of the due date. But still the payment has not posted. Called AMEX to speak to an intelligent person about the issue but I got outsourced Philippines, India, and Mexico City, lowest level call center persons. The CEO does not take calls and I was directed to (800) 700-7619 that had a message to write American Express General Counsel Office, yet another useless PO Box: 200 Vesey Street #49, Mail Stop NY-0-50-01, New York, New York 12085-5001.

I am very dissatisfied with my experience with American Express. I had a relatively large expense coming up in my life and I remembered that I had a pay over time feature on my Gold Card. I called and verified this and was assured that I did have this feature. I made the charge on my card and called that day to have the expense moved to my pay over time balance. They said they could not make the change because the transaction had not posted. I called two days later when it had posted to have them move it and again they were unable to, claiming that it was because the statement had not yet closed.

When my statement closed (the next day) I called again only to find out that they were unable to move the transaction period, because I had credits on my account that made my account balance lower than the charge I wanted to move and now I have to pay this expense in full when I had already set up an amortization schedule on paying it back. Because I am unable to use features on my card that I had wrongly assumed were available to me, I am going to pay my whole balance with American Express and close my account with them. Should have opened a Visa instead.

I have been calling the customer care of AMEX since 4 months continuously. Finally, I got the answer today that they cannot help me. First due to ending of my promotion for 0% interest they ask me to upgrade and so I did without providing a proper information about interest charges each month which is approx $60. First month when charged interest I called and spoke to supervisor, they said will check on my request and get back to me but never did. But today when I asked the other supervisor (BRYAN) he gives a misleading information saying they might have not called as they could do nothing about the misleading information giving to you on the recording by rep (CHRIS). And now all of sudden he said rep gave correct info so we cannot do anything. They basically DO NOT HAVE RIGHTS to give wrong info without any proof... I will close my account... That's all I can do as they charging me $60 each month.

I was an authorized user on my soon to be ex-husband's Amex card. He charged $270,000 on the card without the card being present. Three times the credit limit. He will not pay them. Amex has called me 3-4 times a day demanding that I pay his charges. I told them I was not joint on the card and not liable. They then reported his delinquent charges on my credit report. They removed the info on the credit report when I told them they were in violation of the FCRA. Then they suspended my individual Amex card without notice. I have always paid it in full and have excellent credit. When I called they told me unless I provided financial info including tax records on my soon to be ex-husband (divorce should be final 10/3017), they would cancel my card. I canceled the card myself. I feel that they have harassed me, violated Federal law and attempted to get me to provide illegal information.

American Express Platinum Card (amex) Company Profile