American Express Platinum Card

89%

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

988people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with American Express Platinum Card (amex):

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

American Express Credit Bureau unit customer service are so unhelpful. My husband & stepson have the same name, so American Express reported to TransUnion a credit report but it went to the stepson instead of my husband's. When I explained this my husband, my stepson, & I all spoke with them. 2 days of talking to people, faxing information to them, we accomplished nothing with these people. I can't get above the Credit Bureau Unit. I did send the same information to the Complaints Dept. all this was done by faxes. I was told someone will contact me in 24-48 hours, so far it's been 27 hours.

My stepson's credit is hurt by this, we need this fix immediately. He was trying to get a vehicle & his debt to income ratio is affected by American Express's failure to fix this horrible mistake that they did, not to mention how MY info with my credit card is not so private. Is there a lawyer in the house. I am going to pay off American Express & shred their card & send it back to them all because they will not call me back. Take this off of my stepson's credit report. I am so frustrated with them. I don't know where to get resolution! American Express you lost my business. I seriously doubt they care! I am bummed because I have not had any other problems with them other than this, which happened twice. Last time they did resolve it promptly not so much this time. Peace out. I am done with American Express for good!

I had applied for the credit card on 4th August 2016; on the site it says the card would be processed in maximum 10 working days. I have been waiting for 3 weeks now without any sort of decent response from the customer care team. Very disappointed!!

Terrible company. American Express was the card to have. Now, they suck. We spent $40,000 in the first 2 months. They will not give us our mileage. It is impossible to speak to someone that speaks English. They deny your rewards. Do not use this company! Such a scam!

I bought a tv from new jersey thru american express and the seller never delivered my tv. No american express ruled in favor of a $500 restock fee. I was a card holder for 19 years. Today I canceled them and paid all honest charges but I will never pay the $500 beware of using am express. They will cheat you. Please take this serious. They don't protect us, they are in bed with big business.

American Express have become a joke! No wonder Costco kicked them out. Their customer service team, forget talking to them, they don't even speak English, yet understand English. You call them for something else, they twist the whole story around and say "Do you want to make a payment?" Really? Did I call you to tell you that I needed your assistance in scheduling my payments? I simply ask for a credit increase and what does making payments have to do with what I ask? They are so stupid and poorly trained. I closed down my Amex card during the same time Costco kicked them out. If I can give American Express an zero star, I would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

I have been an AMEX cash back card holder since 2002 (and a stockholder since 2012). I recently mailed a check payment from my local post office that took 16 days to travel 13 miles to the PO Box where payments are accepted. This obviously resulted in a late payment recorded on my account. With 1 phone call to customer service I was credited back the late fee, penalty interest and cash back rewards that were taken away due to a late payment. What service!

A few years ago I was in a boating accident where the boat sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The day before I had purchased almost $500 worth of fishing equipment for the trip. With these extraordinary circumstances, I was sure it was a long shot that AMEX would honor their purchase protection policy that comes with the cash back card. By providing my purchase receipt and the Coast Guard report to AMEX, my account was immediately credited for the entire loss! In my opinion AMEX is a 5 star company. It is a breath of fresh air to see honesty, integrity and impeccable customer service from a major financial corporation.

Today I just got a mail stating that I can check my eligibility criteria on the Amex website, I just went to the website with the link that was provided to me on the mail. I was surprised to see that a person who is earning more than 30,000 per month is not eligible for a gold credit card. I have called to the customer care and the executive stated that "we do not target those persons whose income is not more than 100,000 per month." This was ridiculous answers was given by the customer care representative. I mean to get a Amex gold credit card, I should a son of some big shot guys whose income is more than the Bill Gates earnings.

Oh come stupid and ** Amex, you know your CEO's earnings' not more than a core's. This company is sucks the monies from the people who are still member of this such basters companies. If someone wants to have a credit card, please do not go for Amex. Instead it's better to any other banks credit card like sbi, hdfc, citi, etc. Pathetic company!!!

I applied for an American Express Cash Back Rewards card on June 13th of 2016. I received a confirmation email stating I was approved and that my card should be arriving in the mail within a few days. A few days go by and I never received my card. On June 17th, 2016 I called American Express and they told me they are having issues with the system and that in fact I am not approved and that my approval decision is still pending (although I got an email saying I was approved). Customer Service said they would call me back in a day or so with the decision. A day or two passes by and I never get a call from customer service. I call American Express back and they said yes I was ultimately approved and they will be sending my card out in the mail and I should be receiving it within a few days. Another few days pass by and I still have not yet to receive my card.

I called American Express again inquiring "where is my card?" I was told by customer service that it was shipped out and that I should have had it by now - to please give it another day or two. That same afternoon (after I was told that the card was shipped out) I received an email stating that there is a delay in shipping out my card. So in fact the card was never shipped out as I was told by customer service. Another week passes by and I still hadn't received my card. I called customer service again for the 4th time informing them I am still waiting on the card. They supposedly issued me another card that they will be re sending me out in the mail. Another week passes by and yet no card still to be received in the mail.

I called American express for the 5th time and at that point customer service tells me that I have two accounts that I applied for (which I only applied once and why didn't they tell me this before on the number of previous calls to them?). She says that she needs to close one of the accounts and that she will re-issue me the card to give it another few days in the mail. Another week passes by I get no card in the mail, but in the meantime I get a letter in the mail stating my account has been closed. Calling now back for the 6th time on June 11th, 2016 (Now mind you I'm pretty irate at this point). I ask to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor tells me that she will now send me a new card fed-ex and I will have it overnight (Great!!) and I should have it by the 13th of July. Next two days passes by I never receive the card!

July 13th (the day I'm supposed to receive the card by FedEx) I called customer service once again and was told that the card was being processed and now I will be getting it on the 14th of July!!! Even more irate at this point I request that the card be sent to my job instead of my home because it seems they can't seem to get that right. Supervisor takes down my job information, put it into the system as an alternative address for the card to be mailed to and says we will ship it FedEx overnight to your job and you should be receiving the card by the 14th (Great!!!). Maybe now we're getting somewhere!!!

Well the morning of the 14th I call customer service for the trillionth time to confirm that my card is being shipped to my job and she said it's being shipped to my house. Well I absolutely had enough at this point in waiting for my new credit card in over a month!!! I really blew a fuse and asked them to cancel my account!! This is the only credit card company I have had this kind of experience with. Never, ever, ever again will I want to deal with them!! Anyone wanting an American express credit card, Don't!!! Stay away! The worst company ever! I have a chase freedom unlimited credit card and absolutely love them! Never any problems and great customer Service!

I am very pleased with customer service from Amex. I have been customer since 2012 and thank you for appreciating me as a customer. I am happy to be valued as a customer. I am having some issue and Anamika ** helped me out and resolve issue that I was concerned. Thank you Anamika for such a great customer service.

A new person was handling my call in customer service and did not answer at all every time that I asked her a question. There was only silence - I would wait 30 seconds each time and then I would ask if she was still there multiple times and it was obvious that she did not know at all what she was doing. It would have been better for her to be trained more appropriately before answering phone calls and she could have at least said something such as "Let me check on that for you" - instead there was complete silence.

When I asked to speak with someone that had more experience, a supervisor came on the phone (Ann) and 'debated' with me about the fact that she should have said something. The supervisor said it would have been better to say nothing than give a wrong answer and she continued to debate with me that it was okay for the new person to be completely silent - very poor for a customer service supervisor to 'debate' with the customer. I wonder if American Express ever looks at their reviews - they have one star.

I became an Amex Express Costco Card member in 2013 and during that time I lived in Central time zone and paid my bill after midnight on the date due which is the 6th of the month 3 times. I was informed by Amex that my payment was late in the Eastern time zone and was assessed a late fee... It was not late in the Central time zone!!! I charged approximately $40,000.00 on account since opening in 2013 and had paid it off several times. I guess that did not matter with Amex as to how good of a customer you really were and how much you were spending with them. Oct. 2015 Amex jacked my interest rate to 27% for 6mos punishment. January 2016 I paid off the account but they continued the high interest rate and refused to remove it...

I made numerous calls for assistance in this matter no help, even as a high spender to get them to reduce interest rate from their standard rate of 11.99 (3.5) which is ridiculous. My M/C is 8% with USAA. My Visa is 9.99 with Ascend. I would never do business with Amex again or recommend anyone to do so. Also it is a total joke about earnings on their card as well. I earned $ 98 since January 2016 and have spent approximately $13,000.00. Some being travel!!! Big fat rip off...

FAKE PROMISES FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS CUSTOMER/ SALES EXECUTIVES. I have been using AMEX credit card for last 2 months and have been paying money also on time however I have been misguided by the sales and customer executive regarding the Bookmyshow Rs 1000 VOUCHER. Sales executive said very clearly to swipe the card, no need to register now; after you are done with 8 transactions you just call to customer care & you will be getting the Rs1000 voucher from Bookmyshow thru your register email. On 28 May I spoke with customer care. He said "Sir, do not worry in 1st week of June 2016 you will get your voucher." Then after I have been continuously calling customer care but nobody is ready to take a call & sad to say all look so helpless. Today, I spoke with customer care (manager). He said Bookmyshow has declined the request & trying to tell me policy. At the end I have feeling cheated by AMEX.

In early June 2016, I accepted American Express's offer for an account with zero % interest for 15 months. I requested a $3,000 balance transfer from my VISA card. They did the balance transfer, and ALSO CHARGED MY ACCOUNT TWO MORE TIMES for the SAME balance transfer (a total of $9,000 + $270 in transfer fees.) I made several calls, each time being assured the 2 extra charges would be removed within a few hours. Next day, the $9,270 charges were still on my account, and there was no credit remaining. I called again and was told it would take 6-8 weeks for them to conduct an investigation. I requested to speak to a supervisor. I told her that this is unacceptable and they need to correct my account ASAP. The supervisor provided no apologies, and said "We cannot just go in and fix it. We have to investigate this which takes 6-8 weeks. We will mark the extra ($6,000) charges as being disputed, and you will still have $6,000 in credit."

As of this morning, my account still shows $0 credit remaining. Also, ever since I opened my account, they have continued to show my address WITHOUT my apartment number, even after several Live Chats and telephone calls, they insist that my account shows my apartment number. Yet, the first card they sent me never arrived. Then they closed that account number, and FedExed another one. It arrived WITHOUT my apartment number on it! Then they emailed a letter to me; they showed my address WITHOUT my apartment number. I've gone back into my account 3 more times to try to correct my address; it won't accept it. (When I had American Express through Costco, from 2008 to June 2016, I NEVER had any problems.) American Express should be ashamed of themselves for putting the customer LAST when American Express MAKES A HUGE MISTAKE. I plan to NEVER use American Express again.

I open my account in March of 2016. Always paid more than min. Out of nowhere account was closed in June by American Express. I called multi time asks for reason, none was given. Very poor customer service with lack of communication among their departments. Waste of time.

I applied for a credit card through them, and they needed my bank statements because I'm self employed. I sent them the info, and never heard back. I called and talked to a rep and he said they never got the info. I told him I got an email from them stating they received the info and are reviewing it. I even gave him the reference number then he tells me he don't know and hung up, unreal. I don't even want the card now.

I will give my business to another credit card company I have discovered and they are top notch. Also I forgot to mention when you call amex your minimum wait time is at least 45 minutes, then hopefully when you do get one of their illiterate reps on the phone they don't disconnect you. Now I will never apply there again. They can keep their high annual fee and horrible customer service. I will continue to use my trusted Discover.

I was emailed an introductory offer to receive 60,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 or more on your new card in eligible purchases in the first 3 months of card membership. After meeting the spending requirements American Express says that I am only eligible for 30,000. Initially they told me that there was no offer for that amount. I persisted. I've spoke to about 8 different reps over the last month and they opened an investigation. They claim to have investigated the link I clicked and it was only offering 30k.

I provided them with the email that was sent to me as verification that it was emailed to my address and they checked the POID number which is their internal ID and it was a valid offer for 60k miles. Still they are sticking to their claim that I didn't use that like. Since they claim that their tracking records are so in depth and accurate, I asked for an investigation proving that I had received an offer for 30k and the supervisor said that was not possible and that the decision was final and nothing further could be done. I am thoroughly disappointed in their decision. It is a matter of principle. I'm only asking for what they offered me. I verified what they offered me and I satisfied my requirements. This is the bait and switch and it is unacceptable that they are allowed to treat people this way.

As a current Costco customer, my American Express card expired today. I have been a loyal AMEX customer since 2005. I recently received an offer from American Express a couple of weeks ago for a new card with a great offer, spend $500 and get $150 credit on my credit card statement. Sounds great, right? Anyway, I tried to accept the offer via internet and got a message that my social security number was incorrect. I tried several times. I tried to call AMEX several times regarding this offer and after waiting for at least 45 minutes on hold, I got tired and hung up.

Thanks for wasting my time AMEX, I have better things to do. I never had the opportunity to speak with anyone regarding my application for a new card or to accept their offer. Their automated system also transferred me twice to an extension with a busy signal, further wasting my time. In the end, I ended up shredding the offer and will never do business with AMEX again, no matter what the offer!

Out of all the credit cards that my husband and I own, Amex has the worst customer service! We had recently returned from our trip overseas and spent a little more than we expected, having the Gold card, we both knew that we had to pay off the total by next month. However, I went online and used their live help service with a representative who told us that we could enable a pay over time feature when we called to do so. The first representative to help us had to verify my identity on the card (both of which my husband and I have access to with our names on it) and gave us the green light to explain our situation. She then transferred me to another line that dealt with credit and ensured me that she would explain our situation to the new person.

After being transferred, this person had to redo everything and we had to re-explain ourselves again before she told us that she was going to transfer us to customer service because she didn't have the ability to do so. This happened for a total of 2 more times, with a current total of 4 new representatives with 15 minute holds between each. On the fifth person, I had to verify my identity again but this time, she said that I was not on the card. At this point, I'm starting to get angry and asked her to speak to her manager. She then denies me access to speak to the manager by constantly stating that I was not on the card (when I was 4 times ago) before sending me to another customer service representative stating that I had to add myself to the account. When this 6th person went through the whole process of verifying my identity, lo and behold, I was already on the account!!

Livid at this point, I finally hang up the phone and redial again before speaking to a 7th person who finally helped me out with the problem by giving me a clear, concise answer and a much simpler solution that could have been answered over an hour ago!! Throughout the entire phone call, each person was giving me new information that *MIGHT* apply to my card then transferring me to another who then denies it then transferring me elsewhere because they could help with the situation. Also, we had just received an email from Amex stating that because there was a person who called and was trying to access the account when they *weren't* on it, they are going to send us (my husband and I) a new card to ensure our fraud protection. Ironic.

The worst experience ever! For many years we've been loyal card users. My husband died and I found out someone was using his card after I paid his bill. Over $800.00 in charges. I'm close to losing it. They keep transferring me from one dept. to another and keep me on hold forever. One dept. doesn't know what the other dept. is doing and some of the people speak with a thick Indian accent I can't understand. I think they're hoping I'll die or just go away. It's very depressing to be treated like I don't matter! I think a class action suit should be filed against them. This must be happening to thousands of people like me.

My mother passed after fighting cancer for the last year and American Express is making it very difficult to redeem her Membership Rewards Points. All other credit card companies when contacted immediately issued a check to her estate for the amount of the points she had earned. American Express will only issue gift cards, they didn't know the value of the 52,000 points on her statement and we were told the rewards department had no phone number. We were also told that we would have to provide a list of legal documents proving her death by mail before anything could be done. Chase credit card was able within seconds to confirm her death and immediately issue a check in full for her rewards to the estate. Why would anyone want to have an American Express Card when they treat customers this way? My family will be canceling all of their cards immediately.

I have been a card member since 1991 without ever being late on payments with spending of over $100,000 annually. In 2015 due to health reasons I had to take a leave of absence from my job for 14 months. Every company worked with me due to my situation. All minimum payments were being met on all. American Express is the only company that started the harassment on daily basis even though payments were being made. Without proper notice, my credit limit was decreased on my existing balance and they raised my minimum to $7000. They pushed me into becoming past due and no matter how many times I tried to explain, I was talking to a robot. I cancelled my cards, never again will I do business with this company even if I win the lottery.

Decided, after I had spent about 1200 GBP on the card, that they needed to do a review on the account. Subsequently declined my next 5 purchases. The form came and requested a number of documents. I walked a mile and a half to my nearest bank to get my bank statements verified. Thereafter I sent American Express 6 documents: 3 bank statements, 1 council tax bill, 1 passport photocopy and 1 original letter that was sent to me.

A week later I call them to ask if the review had been finalised, to which I am told that they "never received" the passport photocopy. Despite repeatedly telling her that the photocopy was most definitely sent, she relentlessly drilled home the point that it "was never received". Rude and insulting my intelligence. I have a Masters degree in Finance from a top UK university, I know what I sent American Express. Never could it have possibly been the fault of whoever opened the envelope at American Express, instead "it was never received". I closed my account in the same phone call.

In the process of booking an international flight, I was given two option to apply to the card mentioned above and would be given a $100 credit (win, win). I've been meaning to apply for a sky mileage/points card, so I jumped on the deal. I then typed in all of my data and clicked submit, only to receive an error message about transaction. I then resubmitted the transaction. I called American Express to explain what happened in hopes of still getting my credit. Boy was that a mistake. The lady I spoke to on the phone was absolutely unprofessional and RUDE. I couldn't even get my name across without being interrupted. I was then blamed for the error! This was a joke of a phone call. Needless to say I was not helped out and the customer service was TERRIBLE!!!

I was a loyal customer of Amex for years, then they slipped in an outrageous annual fee and expected me to pay it! For what? I expressed my dissatisfaction with this and told them I wouldn't pay it. They then told me if I canceled my acct, then the fee would come off. What they did not tell me was that if I canceled the card I forfeit all incentives gained during my time with Amex. I had planned to pay the remaining balance with my points and I soon realized why they made it so easy to cancel. Long story short, these criminals can charge you whatever they want for no reason and then force you to pay it by way of taking earned incentives or pigeonholing you into remaining a member.

I've been a Amex card member since 1994 and filed my first complaint for an item purchased through Paypal. I seen a Cartier watch on eBay item number 281995225834. Watch was later purchased through Paypal using my Amex gold card. The watch turned out to be a fake and the seller is not responding. I then filed a claim with Amex and Amex then proceeded to stop payment with Paypal for the following reason "item not received". Paypal later asked the seller to provide a tracking number which he did and I lost the case because the agent who took my complaint did not listen to a word I said. The seller could of sent me a cinder block with that tracking number and I still would of lost the case.

When contacting AMEX customer service, the initial operator speaks English and you could hear them. Lately, when they transfer you, it seems that they are transferring you to a country where the phone lines don't work as you could hardly hear them and its broken English. Today I had to call 4 times to pay a bill, then finally spoke to someone who I could hear, paid the bill and asked for a supervisor to inform them of the issue and I could not hear them. This was not an issue in the past.

AMEX and Costco have made it impossible to remain an American Express customer without increasing my total number of credit card accounts as a result of the Costco split. After massive marketing campaigns to me promising 0% Intro Apr and various other incentives, halfway through the 'application' to open a different AMEX card, AMEX staff tried to convince me to have BOTH the CitiVisa and a new AMEX in order to meet their transfer limits. But that would mean I will exceed my preferred number of credit cards. My options - have 2 cards or leave AMEX. I guess I have to say goodbye after 15+ years as an AMEX cardholder. Bad business AMEX!

After 13 years of having the AMEX Platinum Costco Card I received a letter describing the divorce between Costco and AMEX. I had a Platinum American Express Costco Card and it was the best card with the best customer service and the best protection and benefits. And now I am being shipped off to City Visa with millions of other people. I didn't ask for this, I paid my bills and I was a great customer. Here is what happens to you when you call AMEX to complain.

At first you will have someone in India try to sell you on applying for another card with lame benefits. There is no way to modify your AMEX Costco Card to another type of Amex card without going through an application process for another card. I refused and complained and got transferred to a rep in customer care who again said the same thing tried to approve me for a new AMEX card only to be denied due to volume!!!

I bitched again and got transferred to a supervisor in customer care who shared my frustration and said that I clearly show pre-approved for another platinum or gold and that he will personally push it through on the phone. Except that the he said my application is showing pending and he didn't know how long it would be before he would receive the approval! He apologized profusely and said how sorry he was that this was affecting millions of people. He said I will have to wait a few days for a response in the mail or I can call back in a day or two. I can only imagine how many thousands of people are calling about this daily as they are about to lose great benefits and none of this is their fault. And many are applying for new cards which are getting denied affecting their credit as AMEX now can't handle the volume of non stop applications.

This is by far the worst credit card experience I have had. I did nothing wrong and I am getting dumped into a new Visa card and I am losing the amazing benefits and AMEX is getting clogged up with the hundreds of thousands of requests like mine daily and now they can't handle the volume of this mess. How do they not expect to get sued by millions of Costco members? Citi Visa will be nothing like the Amex card.

We did nothing wrong and AMEX is treating us like crap and they are losing millions of customers on June 20th when this officially kicks in. They knew this would happen for the past year and they did NOTHING to prepare themselves to handle this mess when it hit. They should have offered options for existing AMEX members who want to remain with AMEX and cut off Costco if we have to, instead of now not being able to handle the volume of requests. To top it off my platinum Costco amex had no membership fee. A new platinum amex will now cost almost 500 a year, gold card costs 160 a year. So is AMEX trying to make money on this deal or what? Disgusting horrible experience.

If I could give negative stars I would! I called on April 10th to get a new AMEX to replace the Costco card we have used for 10 years and is being cancelled. After approximately 4 hours of calls in the last 20 days, I still don't even have an answer because they say my "application" is STUCK in a technical issue. REALLY??? I thought for sure they were kidding the first time I called. I asked in my 50 minutes of holding and talking to customer service people and supervisors what the normal response time is and she said 90 seconds.

And after 20 days, they cannot tell me when I will get an answer. They promised yesterday or maybe by Monday at 5. And if you call and get a supervisor named Parul, ID **, RUN the other way. She was rude and insulting. I am honestly SHOCKED by how I am being treated and how little they are trying to take care of the COSTCO AMEX customers who prefer an AMEX but are being handed a VISA. That VISA is sounding really good right now.

I've used AMEX for over 30 years. I was very surprised recently when I got a letter from AMEX that my Costco AMEX, which Costco is discontinuing its relationship with thankfully, will be replaced by a different AMEX. I never asked for a different card so-called customer service. Two reps gave completely wrong info so I asked for a supervisor. When I explained that I DID NOT WANT a different AMEX I had never asked for, I was told I had to cancel my account. In other words, AMEX is forcing a card I do not want on me. Canceling a credit card is a negative on credit ratings but by the time I finished talking with this "could care less" supervisor, I did cancel it. NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE AN AMEX.