Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

3.9/5 (1383 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 2, 2021

Just spoke to Peggy ** from AMEX. She was very rude and did not understand the situation whatsoever. I was told by 5 reps (yes, 5 individual reps) that my account is cleared for a charge I was about to make. The charge was declined although I'd wired money to AMEX specifically for this charge. I called to check why it was declined, they advised me to split the payment into 2. I did that and it was declined again. I called them again and explained that if the charge doesn't go through I will incur fees since it's a long weekend. They said to try it again. Tried, declined. Called again and spoke with Peggy. She gave me some attitude, which I did not deserve, I did not yell, spoke respectfully. I am their client for about 12 years but no more. I am closing all my accounts with AMEX, business(es), and personal, and I advise you to do the same. If they are not there the 1 time in 5 years that I need them then what's the point.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I called to ask a question on a service from Kabbage, one of their mergers. The man (that might be too much of a word) said they are not related to that section and hang up!! So disrespectful!! He didn't even let me finish express the problem I was calling for.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I can survive without this card and can definitely do without the frustration. I received a new card, tried to follow the activation instructions and was still having issues 2 hours later. The website process asks for your card number and security number, then wants you to log in or create an account. My existing account login failed. I know my ID and password are correct but I try to reset the password anyway to just move ahead. The website tells me the system is down and can't reset my password. Which one is it? Bad credentials or a crashed service?

I call into the CS number on the back of the card and ask that question. I get someone who wants to verify my card but doesn't know where the various numbers are on the card (card number is NOT on the front of the card), argues with me, and wants to reset my password. "There's nothing wrong, these things just happen, I can't explain it, you just need to reset your password." I explain that resetting my password will only be an exercise in frustration if the system is down and ask again to check if there are system issues. I get more arguing and more insistence on resetting my password.

I ask for a supervisor. 15 minutes later I'm told there are no supervisors and they'll call me back within 24 hours. I assure the CSR that I can wait on the phone. Another 15 minutes later I get a supervisor who also wants to argue and reset my password. I eventually get her to actually listen and she realizes they have a technical issue, asks for a screenshot, and opens a ticket for the problem.

It shouldn't have taken over an hour to convince someone to look to see if there was an issue, I shouldn't have needed to escalate to a supervisor, and resetting my password without resolving the issue would have added to the frustration. For a financial organization that likes to promote itself as a premium brand, this was a dismal performance for a function that happens thousands of times a week.

Original review: April 9, 2021

It is not every day that a credit card company tries to dump its customers. But that is exactly what American Express is doing. They have this "Blue Cash Everyday" card that is just your basic credit card with some perks and no annual fee. This was a replacement for the Amex/Costco credit cards. After Costco gave Amex the boot, the Amex credit card became irrelevant. Merchants don't like American Express because they charge higher fees than other credit card companies and, consequently, there are a lot of places that do no take Amex cards. So American Express has decided to eliminate the no fee and card and replace it with one that has a $99 annual charge. Of course, in the long run this does not matter, cause in the not too distant future some conglomerate will swallow Amex. I would suggest AARP buy it since most of A E customers were born during WWII.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Almost zero value on this card since Covid, the platform for accounting, statements and excel is extremely poor, as is the travel section which shows hotels in results that are not available and is always higher priced than other companies. The airport lounges did provide value but they are 99% closed so where is the value? There isn't. I recently updated my bank account from BOA to Chase and Amex cancelled the autopay without notifying me then when I noticed my bill hadn't been paid they tried to say it was my fault. I have 3 years of paying my bill off every month. The benefits are weak, the service is awful, the financial platform is sub-par and their annual fee at 550. They won't budge even with no services available. Visa and mastercard are waiving a lot of their annual fees, I suggest Amex catch on. I for one will be moving my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I used to travel a bunch, but with COVID this is my 1st foreign travel in a year. What could have been a click of a button to change my seat, I had to call, wait for them to call me back for an hour, and when they did I had to wait another 15 min listening to horrendous music. I hung up. So my seat didn't record so I had to call but it's not a full flight. I'll be okay.

Now that the city I'm coming back from is on lockdown, I'm trying to come back from a difft city. To change that, I had to go through that again. So, while charting/working I waited. When customer service finally came, what could have taken me 2 minutes on a delta website or any other website, took us another 20 min while she put me on hold for 5 every time she had to look up something. When I pointed this out, she apologized. Nice lady, but come on! What she did for me I could have done in much less time with much less hassle. Really? Are we holding onto the antiquated system to give them a job instead of moving on as if it were 21st century? I can't believe I pay $550/yr for this. Oh, and the hours of operation in their airport lounges don't really let us use them. Something else to look forward to.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

After 10 years with Amex, I have decided to cancel my account/membership after a treatment that I deemed unprofessional and unfair. I have never been late and have carried amounts higher than my current balance. I have always paid my balances and have always been responsible. I found out that my credit limit was suddenly reduced from $35,000 to $18,000 without any valid explanation. The reduction will inevitably appear on my credit report as a high credit usage which in turn will hurt me and my score. After trying to explain the issue to a couple of customer service reps, they were not able to address the issue nor escalate it. I feel disrespected and not valued. I would not recommend Amex and urge them to treat their valued customers with respect. Sad for a business that claims to take care of its customers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

American Express commands high merchant fees and high card member fees for a reason - they had excellent customer service. However, their service has declined precipitously over the last few years. They used to be excellent at resolving charge disputes and replacing lost cards anywhere in the world within a day or two. I have had an AMEX card for over 3 decades, and had my Delta Airlines Platinum Card for over two decades. I recently closed that and got the Delta Airlines Select Card, which has an even higher fee, because it gives me access to Delta's lounges. They issued my new card with the standard initial limit of $10,000.

After a few months I requested a credit limit increase to the $16,000 level I had carried on my previous AMEX Platinum Card so I could charge $14,000 in home repairs I was doing to prepare my house for sale. AMEX had my complete payment history for years at the higher credit limit, but refused to raise my limit. I like the card because it generates a lot of airline miles for me, but their customer service is not what it used to be. Previously, I could work with them to address this issue, but now they simply seem to use credit scores which highly inaccurate.

Around the time I changed cards, my credit score did dip significantly because I closed a number of credit cards to eliminate my wife from the cards as she is ill and not capable of making relevant financial decisions. I re-opened all these credit accounts and an additional one, but this reduced my credit history because credit bureaus ignore all history for closed accounts no matter how relevant it may be. Further, an auto dealer made five unauthorized credit inquiries for auto financing with regard to a car for which I paid cash. I also paid off my mortgage which reduced my credit score further.

It is sad to see that AMEX is basing creditworthiness on these ignorant credit scores that ignore your assets (like owning your home outright, and having significant retirement savings), and income. The CEOs of these credit bureaus testified in front of congress that no creditor should use credit scores alone without considering assets and income. Unfortunately, that is what AMEX now does.

My biggest complaint is that they just recently increased my credit limit by $3,000, but they never bothered to tell me. I received no letter, or email and was actually informed by one of these incompetent credit bureaus. As a long standing customer of AMEX I believe I would have been able to work this out in a mutually agreeable settlement, but now their policies are standardized and automated, and do not justify their exorbitant fees. Nor do they communicate these relevant changes to your account. This would have never happened years ago.

I will keep my AMEX card until I move away from Atlanta (a big Delta hub), which I may do upon retirement. However, I will cancel it and swap it for the appropriate airline card for the nearest hub to my location. In the meantime, I simply charge whatever I want in multiple transactions and then pay them off right away several times a month so my balance never goes over the card limit. Please keep this strategy in mind if you are constrained in a similar way by AMEX or other credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

This card has been nothing but a hassle, even four months after canceling it. First time I canceled it was last Sept after paying account in full and getting agreement from rep to drop late fee. I canceled card because even though "late fee dropped," the rep told me I had to go ahead and pay it anyway and then in a month they would refund it. That made no sense, so I canceled card. I thought. Got another bill, so called in and paid off evidently some charge that they claimed had not hard posted in Sept...plus late fees. So, I canceled card *again* and paid off charges *again* and rep agreed to drop late fees *again*. Then, in Dec I get another email about damn late fees. At least the card finally canceled...I think. So I call in and rep says can't cancel late fees (which were already canceled 2x) but could escalate my "case" to some other office who would let me know their decision.

I told them I would go ahead and file complaint with BBB which I did. Never heard (so far) from this other office. Have continued to get letters claiming I owe $123 in late fees, when as far as I know all charges were paid in Sept or Oct. So today I get an email saying they received a "cease and desist order" and would no longer be contacting me for their collection efforts. That is just a word game. I never requested they stop contacting me for collection efforts. I requested they stop acting like I owe them something. See...they have not stopped claiming I owe them something, have not stopped digging my credit reports, etc.

So I called 4 times and got hung up on twice and received lots of seemingly passive-aggressive games from the reps. Things like asking for endless verification info including full social security and a "pin number" that I never set up for account (note that phone tree can identify based on last 5 of account which I have from their emails--but a couple of the reps seemingly could not use that). Have repeatedly run into these--my beliefs and opinions--passive-aggressive games that require numerous calls and never get anywhere. So all this is why I am giving Amex a one-star review. They are lying and likely will require me to pay them yet again for nothing...since I owe them nothing. And even then, will it be over...? I do not know. All my beliefs and opinions...I would never recommend this company to *anyone*. They used to be great. I consider them name-brand scammers based on my experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express has this weird cash advance program. Your cash advance say $1,000 and get the $1,000 from the atm. However, 2 days later, amex goes into your bank account and gets the $1,000 back plus adds $24 or so in fees. What's the point?

American Express Platinum Card Company Information