American Express Platinum Card

American Express Platinum Card

1.2/5 (31 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: March 22, 2022

These agents lack training. Not what I was expecting from American Express. Agents constantly making mistakes and constantly dropping my calls. I've lost hours of my life on hold that I will not get back. You're constantly getting transferred from one agent to another. So FRUSTRATING!

Original review: March 18, 2022

I've had Amex since 1986. Over the past year, they have altered my limits twice without informing me and did some really creative and abnormal accounting to milk me out of an unusually large payment without notice. I never miss a payment. But after paying for the card annually and then getting the shaft as a reward for chasing them to make money off of me annually and monthly I am done. I will be paying my card off and moving to a card WITHOUT an anual fee, without the surprises and without the creative accounting tricks. AMEX is going downhill. Seems the more I pay my bills, the more they want to harm my credit. I know my leaving will not hurt them, there are too many new suckers out there that think this card is worth more than it is.

Original review: March 11, 2022

AE Platinum CARD had a special offer 125,000 points to welcome the new card member in mid Dec'21. I clicked the box "Apply Now" to apply the card, which is just right next to the special offer window, the weblink prompted me to the new application process and I got approved within 10 minutes. However they only credited me 100,000 points which they said that I applied the card was with only 100K offer. I don't understand how their system was trigger why the weblink system behind only program me as the basic sign on points.

The Advertisement is finishing people to apply the card with this attractive welcome bonus, at the end they DID NOT honor what their promotion on the Website. The membership fee cost $695 a year which is quite expensive, if I knew they would only gave out the standard sign on points, I wouldn't apply the card. To a non-Business user like me, as for a personal user, AE Platinum's benefit is relatively expensive compared to other cards such as Chase or UA cards. Much cheaper annual fee or no annual fee with good welcome bonus points. Besides, their customer services are not as good as Chase, neither compared to themselves before. NOT RECOMENDED!

Original review: March 7, 2022

Several times I have requested Amex to cancel my credit card because of hacking. I did not realize they actually would not delete the account. This happened through Amazon where fraudsters would charge on canceled Amex accounts cards - Amex would allow the charges stating that this is a 'recurring vendor' thus the fraudster is allowed to use your charge. Amex makes a point to allow what they call as recurring vendors to continue to use your charge card even though canceled. This allows hackers that know Amex's policy to continue through companies like Amazon to charge on canceled charge cards! It's a harmful and misleading policy and Amex is not likely to change it. Please check your statements carefully and match all Amex charges against your orders on Amazon!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Do not use AMEX for Business, in the middle of the pandemic they reduced our credit line by $50k via email and a letter without any prior indication (never missed a payment Member since 1979). Once our company made the payments on time to reduce the balance below $100K Amex then reduced the credit line to $70K. With the continued pressure on the ability to buy inventory (Amex was our main source of funding). We also used other Amex credit products. (Working capital) We continued to lose business as our ability to fund inventory was reduced. We were speaking to AMEX regularly about the issue, provided them with all the personal and business records they asked for and still denied the credit increase. We reached a point (we were current on all payments) where we could only pay half of the working capital on time, but would paid the rest of the payment in a few weeks.

While we're speaking with Amex about this the working capital group cancelled all our cards (Business and Personal) without notice. We have spent Millions of dollars with Amex since 1979 personal and business. The level of interaction between us and Amex (we reached our numerous times during this entire period without a call back, people promised to call back and look into the issue and never called back, lots of apologies no results). The business eventually failed due to AMEX reducing the credit lines (had been in business for 25 years). I have tried to reach a settlement (compromise to pay) they refuse to answer or delay tactics. (apologies)

I will never use AMEX again and every time I go to a merchant I now engage with them about their interactions with AMEX and advise them to be very careful with AMEX. I wrote directly to numerous executives at AMEX without a reply. Not a good company, they are not responsive nor do they care about their clients. I will continue to provide this message via social media as a result of AMEX lack of response.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

American Express is the best credit card providers the world. My card was charged fraudulently at LCBO and I wasn't aware of that, one morning I received a call from Amex helpline and they inquired about my credit card, I said I have it on me. They informed me that because I never been to LCBO before so they assumed it can't be me. They gave me option to check for the whole year and let them know if I did not recognize any other transaction. At other time same credit card was fraudulently charged at 3 hotels at the same night.

I called them and they agreed with me that I did not make sense that I booked 3 rooms in 3 different hotels at same night. They gave me full refund. The best thing is that they give you refund first and then investigate. Amex also resolved my disputes with Expedia Canada worth about 8k. This is the best credit card provider in the world and its worth paying $120 per annum. Also, the customer services is best as they value their customers as an asset.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

You should stay away from American Express Credit cards. They cancelled my card, without contacting me. Blamed me for not getting their mail and making no attempt to contact me by phone or any other method. On top of that, They refuse to pay me all the rewards I accumulated over the years. Unless you owe them money, they will boot you out the door. Take your time and money somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I called and applied for a no fee card. Instead they sent me a Platinum card. I called to cancel, but of course, my credit score has been dinged. I called to get the card I had applied for, but they now tell me I've already had that card (which I haven't). I asked 5 times for a supervisor. She transferred me to just another salesperson. Stay away!!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I'm a Amex business customer for the past 10 years. I charge each month around 300k and I have never missed a payment, but all of the sudden without any notice they cut my spending limit to 100k, which is now putting my whole business at risk. Be smart. Don't start your business based on Amex, it's harmful for your business and they have no-one there that is interested to help you succeed.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

I wouldn't recommend this card or any of your cards to anyone after what happened to me yesterday. My business credit card that I have has just under $14000 credit limit with over p $10,000 available credit left. I went to purchase just over $7800 received a text to confirm it was me and and then received an email saying "Transaction Declined. We were unable to approve the transaction below as your credit limit is under review". I looked at my available credit right before this purchase and it was available!! I pay this credit card off 90% of the time, never a late or missed payment. My credit is good on both credit bureaus with NO missed payments, or derogatory information. I go to my account now and it says I have $373 available credit.. What a complete JOKE this company is. This was a time sensitive purchase I was making to get products shipped and arriving next month.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

After 20+ years of using American Express for both business and personal needs, American Express incorrectly reported me as deceased and I had to get the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency involved in order to correct my credit and get the deceased notification removed from my account. Social security notified American Express of the error but they refused to correct the inaccurate report before getting the OCC involved. I will never use AmEx again and would recommend no one else does either. I would have rated them zero stars but that was not an option.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

There was a offer for 70k points if I upgraded to Gold Business and spent $10k.. In 3 months. I spent $10k in 1 month and went looking for my points and LO AND BEHOLD they found an out. This after I confirmed NOT ONCE NOT TWICE BUT THREE TIMES that I would be receiving these points. A case was opened up ** and I was PROMISED A CALL BACK FROM "Linda". Linda you lie. I had to chase it down. Then Fernandan took on the case and told be for stupid reasons I did not qualify. Total of 4 hours plus on the phone. Do not trust the company of liars.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

American Express service has gone completely downhill! Also, they started declining transactions whenever they feel like it. I’ve made every payment in my three-year history on time or early and more than the minimum. According to my limit, I had $13,631.77 left… Want to buy groceries? Declined!! Over and over. Horrible service, horrible card now too.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Horrible service and experience for the $695 annual fee. Their communication with me has been rotten. I am a new account holder only two months into this. I have made my monthly payments, paying far more than what was due. They restricted my account without any notification to me about their actions, only to leave me stranded at a place of business with a declined card. Phone calls to AE were not fruitful, either with the rep, or a supervisor. I do not feel as if I am being treated fairly, especially not for what I am paying for fees on this card.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Do not, REPEAT, DO NOT sign up with American Express!!! PROMOTIONS ARE SCAM!!!! They offer enticing promotions to get people to sign up. What caught my attention was an offer for $300 to sign up. All I would have to do to get it would be the usual “spend this amount of money within this amount of time”. Well I did everything required and guess what!? No $300 ever came my way.

I spoke with 4 supervisors at this point and they will not budge. All claim that a screen supposedly popped up when I signed up telling me that I wouldn’t be eligible for the promotion. I swear on my mother’s life, there was no such screen. Trust me, I always keep an eye out for things like that when signing up too. NO WAY!!!! THERE WAS NO SUCH SCREEN!!!! They are weaseling their way out! And what would it mean even if they had put up a screen!? Why would someone be eligible for a card but not the promotion!??? What kind of scam is that!??? Save yourself the trouble and trust me on this one. Do not sign up with them. You will regret it! The customer service is not good. The promotions are a SCAM!!!! The two supervisors I most recently spoke with were LEE Employee #** and Serling #**.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

The constant calls due to inability to correct erroneous charges, Customer Service Lack of knowledge causes them to HANG UP- Followed by Excessive Charges remaining Open along w/ Hold time is absurd while as a Business Platinum Card Holder you’d expect more simplicity in remediation to simple common problems. Their lack of care is outrageously obvious. Open Disputes are closed the moment we have hung up the phone w/ inaccurate decisions being made in their favor charging the company thousands upon thousands of dollars in errors which still remain open as they HIDE THE OPEN DISPUTE within ALTERNATE CHARGES EXCEEDING 2+ Years w/ no resolve and your Acctg Dept must review each Charge by executing the Charges line by line- most of the matters are handled in this regard costing your company excessive time Auditing Amex Bills monthly which we share today without exaggeration.

The Annual costs for this behavior is beyond our Acctg Dept’s Allotted time to expend on Fight for our money to be Returned back to us! Collecting our Money to be Returned is Unacceptable to the extent the companies Board of Directors are re-establishing New banking relationships elsewhere- Chase Sapphire Customer Service is proving to outrank American Express on every single level including points as the American Express points system has proven also to be a wasted exercise. As the years progress AMERICAN EXPRESS has failed to support their Customers & rather support Partnering Companies such as Ticketmaster and alike, placing AMERICAN EXPRESS in a category of Substandard at best, with the Illicit Business practices increasingly above average and

substandard remediation overall.

Business Acct Executives have no vested interest in resolving Clearly Erroneous matters, promising Supervisors will be in touch, which must mean in touch w/ themselves as it’s been a solid year since we have heard back after repeated attempts to prompt the Acct Reps to actually fulfill their promises and job descriptions. We are through with the exasperating nonsense and we work too hard for our money to be giving it away to American Express when they have Low Revenue for the quarter and rather NOT help Customers. The Amex representatives have specific guidelines to dismiss customers once they are requested to provide definitive answer which going to the federal trade commission amongst other institutions for Unprofessional business practices needs to be reported to warn other businesses and individuals to seek alternative means Financial Management.

To add insult to injury, the centurion lounges are few and far between and these days having to pass through security to get to their Lounges is off putting. If your flight happens to be within the same Terminal, you are hard pressed to find them actually OPEN- they are constantly Closed and unable to utilized this premium service already paid for by their high rates. We are done!

Original review: July 31, 2021

This is supposed to be one of the best of the best. I have been a customer for 28 years. The service gets worse each year and the costs higher. Now I call the concierge line and find I am to hold for 90 minutes. They must know I am not going to do that. What a terrible experience.

Original review: July 19, 2021

After leaving an abusive marriage, and trying to turn my life around, then Covid hits. Without notice, AmEx took my BUSINESS account and reported it to my PERSONAL account as a collection. The last payment was in May, and they did this in July. We have had an excellent relationship with AmEx and always paid on time. Covid severely affected our business income, losing 75% of our business. My personal credit was great. They now have caused a more than 100 point drop on my report.

After contacting the AmEx credit bureau department, as well as the 3rd party collection agency (all day being sent back and forth with no help or answers, except that, "you need to pay the balance off") the 3rd party rep actually had to audacity to say to me, "once you pay this debt you can re-establish a relationship with AmEx as you are a valued customer". Is he insane? After they've done this to me, AND ruined my credit score? DO NOT even think about signing up with this company. I wish I never had. By the way, it's a Plum card, not a platinum card. I tried to change your line at the top.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I applied for the Hilton hotel credit card with American Express on May 9th, 2021 since the welcome bonus offer looks good to me and I got it approved on the same day. I received my credit card on May 18th, 2021. As per the welcome bonus offer, if I spend $1000 in first 3 months, I will be eligible to receive 80,000 bonus points and if I spend $6000 in 6 months, I will be eligible to receive an additional 50,000 bonus points. Since I was already planning for a family trip, I used this credit card to book my trip and used it for grocery shopping and to purchase other household items as well. By June 18th, 2021, I was able to meet the minimum eligibility to receive a total of 130,000 bonus points and my billing cycle was also reached.

I eagerly waited till June 29th, 2021, but since I still didn’t receive the bonus points, I called the American Express customer care number. Customer care executive on the phone assured me that they have opened a case for me, and back office will work on my case soon. I waited for another week and called them up again, but I got the same answer that back office is still working on the case, and I will a resolution soon.

This continued till July 16th, 2021, when at last they told me your case has already been closed and as per back office investigation you are not eligible to receive a bonus offer. I asked them why? They told me you since closed one of the American Express credit one year back you are not eligible. I said, why your website didn’t provide me that information and I closed my credit card in COVID-19 time since I was not travelling and so I didn’t want to pay unnecessary credit card fee. Then I asked them if I can talk to their supervisor. They directed the call to supervisor.

I told the whole story to the supervisor. Supervisor asked me whether I saw any popup window saying that “You are not eligible to receive welcome bonus”. I said no, there was no such popup window on your website that would show the eligibility warning and had there been a warning I would have not applied for this card. I told them, had I used some another credit card to make purchases, I would have got a better cash back. They told me they can’t do anything at this moment. I never expect such an answer at least from a customer care supervisor.

American Express, a big international credit card company mislead their customers by providing false information. Their website doesn’t show the proper eligibility criteria. Their customer care and supervisors are not able resolve issues and say they can’t do anything at this moment. Such a big company is fighting for few bonus points.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I used to love my Amex platinum for lounge access and various other travel perks. Yesterday - my family's flight was canceled. Amex insisted it had not been cancelled. We went around in circles and got nowhere. At one point I was told I would need to remain on hold for up to an hour. I asked "can you call me back?" Nope. Can't do that. I have to sit on my phone. Overall I was on the phone for 3 hours. Nothing was accomplished. I hung up on them and will cancel my card when the balance is paid off.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Just spoke to Peggy ** from AMEX. She was very rude and did not understand the situation whatsoever. I was told by 5 reps (yes, 5 individual reps) that my account is cleared for a charge I was about to make. The charge was declined although I'd wired money to AMEX specifically for this charge. I called to check why it was declined, they advised me to split the payment into 2. I did that and it was declined again. I called them again and explained that if the charge doesn't go through I will incur fees since it's a long weekend. They said to try it again. Tried, declined. Called again and spoke with Peggy. She gave me some attitude, which I did not deserve, I did not yell, spoke respectfully. I am their client for about 12 years but no more. I am closing all my accounts with AMEX, business(es), and personal, and I advise you to do the same. If they are not there the 1 time in 5 years that I need them then what's the point.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I called to ask a question on a service from Kabbage, one of their mergers. The man (that might be too much of a word) said they are not related to that section and hang up!! So disrespectful!! He didn't even let me finish express the problem I was calling for.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I can survive without this card and can definitely do without the frustration. I received a new card, tried to follow the activation instructions and was still having issues 2 hours later. The website process asks for your card number and security number, then wants you to log in or create an account. My existing account login failed. I know my ID and password are correct but I try to reset the password anyway to just move ahead. The website tells me the system is down and can't reset my password. Which one is it? Bad credentials or a crashed service?

I call into the CS number on the back of the card and ask that question. I get someone who wants to verify my card but doesn't know where the various numbers are on the card (card number is NOT on the front of the card), argues with me, and wants to reset my password. "There's nothing wrong, these things just happen, I can't explain it, you just need to reset your password." I explain that resetting my password will only be an exercise in frustration if the system is down and ask again to check if there are system issues. I get more arguing and more insistence on resetting my password.

I ask for a supervisor. 15 minutes later I'm told there are no supervisors and they'll call me back within 24 hours. I assure the CSR that I can wait on the phone. Another 15 minutes later I get a supervisor who also wants to argue and reset my password. I eventually get her to actually listen and she realizes they have a technical issue, asks for a screenshot, and opens a ticket for the problem.

It shouldn't have taken over an hour to convince someone to look to see if there was an issue, I shouldn't have needed to escalate to a supervisor, and resetting my password without resolving the issue would have added to the frustration. For a financial organization that likes to promote itself as a premium brand, this was a dismal performance for a function that happens thousands of times a week.

Original review: April 9, 2021

It is not every day that a credit card company tries to dump its customers. But that is exactly what American Express is doing. They have this "Blue Cash Everyday" card that is just your basic credit card with some perks and no annual fee. This was a replacement for the Amex/Costco credit cards. After Costco gave Amex the boot, the Amex credit card became irrelevant. Merchants don't like American Express because they charge higher fees than other credit card companies and, consequently, there are a lot of places that do no take Amex cards. So American Express has decided to eliminate the no fee and card and replace it with one that has a $99 annual charge. Of course, in the long run this does not matter, cause in the not too distant future some conglomerate will swallow Amex. I would suggest AARP buy it since most of A E customers were born during WWII.

Original review: March 13, 2021

Almost zero value on this card since Covid, the platform for accounting, statements and excel is extremely poor, as is the travel section which shows hotels in results that are not available and is always higher priced than other companies. The airport lounges did provide value but they are 99% closed so where is the value? There isn't. I recently updated my bank account from BOA to Chase and Amex cancelled the autopay without notifying me then when I noticed my bill hadn't been paid they tried to say it was my fault. I have 3 years of paying my bill off every month. The benefits are weak, the service is awful, the financial platform is sub-par and their annual fee at 550. They won't budge even with no services available. Visa and mastercard are waiving a lot of their annual fees, I suggest Amex catch on. I for one will be moving my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I used to travel a bunch, but with COVID this is my 1st foreign travel in a year. What could have been a click of a button to change my seat, I had to call, wait for them to call me back for an hour, and when they did I had to wait another 15 min listening to horrendous music. I hung up. So my seat didn't record so I had to call but it's not a full flight. I'll be okay.

Now that the city I'm coming back from is on lockdown, I'm trying to come back from a difft city. To change that, I had to go through that again. So, while charting/working I waited. When customer service finally came, what could have taken me 2 minutes on a delta website or any other website, took us another 20 min while she put me on hold for 5 every time she had to look up something. When I pointed this out, she apologized. Nice lady, but come on! What she did for me I could have done in much less time with much less hassle. Really? Are we holding onto the antiquated system to give them a job instead of moving on as if it were 21st century? I can't believe I pay $550/yr for this. Oh, and the hours of operation in their airport lounges don't really let us use them. Something else to look forward to.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

After 10 years with Amex, I have decided to cancel my account/membership after a treatment that I deemed unprofessional and unfair. I have never been late and have carried amounts higher than my current balance. I have always paid my balances and have always been responsible. I found out that my credit limit was suddenly reduced from $35,000 to $18,000 without any valid explanation. The reduction will inevitably appear on my credit report as a high credit usage which in turn will hurt me and my score. After trying to explain the issue to a couple of customer service reps, they were not able to address the issue nor escalate it. I feel disrespected and not valued. I would not recommend Amex and urge them to treat their valued customers with respect. Sad for a business that claims to take care of its customers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

American Express commands high merchant fees and high card member fees for a reason - they had excellent customer service. However, their service has declined precipitously over the last few years. They used to be excellent at resolving charge disputes and replacing lost cards anywhere in the world within a day or two. I have had an AMEX card for over 3 decades, and had my Delta Airlines Platinum Card for over two decades. I recently closed that and got the Delta Airlines Select Card, which has an even higher fee, because it gives me access to Delta's lounges. They issued my new card with the standard initial limit of $10,000.

After a few months I requested a credit limit increase to the $16,000 level I had carried on my previous AMEX Platinum Card so I could charge $14,000 in home repairs I was doing to prepare my house for sale. AMEX had my complete payment history for years at the higher credit limit, but refused to raise my limit. I like the card because it generates a lot of airline miles for me, but their customer service is not what it used to be. Previously, I could work with them to address this issue, but now they simply seem to use credit scores which highly inaccurate.

Around the time I changed cards, my credit score did dip significantly because I closed a number of credit cards to eliminate my wife from the cards as she is ill and not capable of making relevant financial decisions. I re-opened all these credit accounts and an additional one, but this reduced my credit history because credit bureaus ignore all history for closed accounts no matter how relevant it may be. Further, an auto dealer made five unauthorized credit inquiries for auto financing with regard to a car for which I paid cash. I also paid off my mortgage which reduced my credit score further.

It is sad to see that AMEX is basing creditworthiness on these ignorant credit scores that ignore your assets (like owning your home outright, and having significant retirement savings), and income. The CEOs of these credit bureaus testified in front of congress that no creditor should use credit scores alone without considering assets and income. Unfortunately, that is what AMEX now does.

My biggest complaint is that they just recently increased my credit limit by $3,000, but they never bothered to tell me. I received no letter, or email and was actually informed by one of these incompetent credit bureaus. As a long standing customer of AMEX I believe I would have been able to work this out in a mutually agreeable settlement, but now their policies are standardized and automated, and do not justify their exorbitant fees. Nor do they communicate these relevant changes to your account. This would have never happened years ago.

I will keep my AMEX card until I move away from Atlanta (a big Delta hub), which I may do upon retirement. However, I will cancel it and swap it for the appropriate airline card for the nearest hub to my location. In the meantime, I simply charge whatever I want in multiple transactions and then pay them off right away several times a month so my balance never goes over the card limit. Please keep this strategy in mind if you are constrained in a similar way by AMEX or other credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

This card has been nothing but a hassle, even four months after canceling it. First time I canceled it was last Sept after paying account in full and getting agreement from rep to drop late fee. I canceled card because even though "late fee dropped," the rep told me I had to go ahead and pay it anyway and then in a month they would refund it. That made no sense, so I canceled card. I thought. Got another bill, so called in and paid off evidently some charge that they claimed had not hard posted in Sept...plus late fees. So, I canceled card *again* and paid off charges *again* and rep agreed to drop late fees *again*. Then, in Dec I get another email about damn late fees. At least the card finally canceled...I think. So I call in and rep says can't cancel late fees (which were already canceled 2x) but could escalate my "case" to some other office who would let me know their decision.

I told them I would go ahead and file complaint with BBB which I did. Never heard (so far) from this other office. Have continued to get letters claiming I owe $123 in late fees, when as far as I know all charges were paid in Sept or Oct. So today I get an email saying they received a "cease and desist order" and would no longer be contacting me for their collection efforts. That is just a word game. I never requested they stop contacting me for collection efforts. I requested they stop acting like I owe them something. See...they have not stopped claiming I owe them something, have not stopped digging my credit reports, etc.

So I called 4 times and got hung up on twice and received lots of seemingly passive-aggressive games from the reps. Things like asking for endless verification info including full social security and a "pin number" that I never set up for account (note that phone tree can identify based on last 5 of account which I have from their emails--but a couple of the reps seemingly could not use that). Have repeatedly run into these--my beliefs and opinions--passive-aggressive games that require numerous calls and never get anywhere. So all this is why I am giving Amex a one-star review. They are lying and likely will require me to pay them yet again for nothing...since I owe them nothing. And even then, will it be over...? I do not know. All my beliefs and opinions...I would never recommend this company to *anyone*. They used to be great. I consider them name-brand scammers based on my experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express has this weird cash advance program. Your cash advance say $1,000 and get the $1,000 from the atm. However, 2 days later, amex goes into your bank account and gets the $1,000 back plus adds $24 or so in fees. What's the point?

American Express Platinum Card Company Information