Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

4.0/5 (1394 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

After 10 years with Amex, I have decided to cancel my account/membership after a treatment that I deemed unprofessional and unfair. I have never been late and have carried amounts higher than my current balance. I have always paid my balances and have always been responsible. I found out that my credit limit was suddenly reduced from $35,000 to $18,000 without any valid explanation. The reduction will inevitably appear on my credit report as a high credit usage which in turn will hurt me and my score. After trying to explain the issue to a couple of customer service reps, they were not able to address the issue nor escalate it. I feel disrespected and not valued. I would not recommend Amex and urge them to treat their valued customers with respect. Sad for a business that claims to take care of its customers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

American Express commands high merchant fees and high card member fees for a reason - they had excellent customer service. However, their service has declined precipitously over the last few years. They used to be excellent at resolving charge disputes and replacing lost cards anywhere in the world within a day or two. I have had an AMEX card for over 3 decades, and had my Delta Airlines Platinum Card for over two decades. I recently closed that and got the Delta Airlines Select Card, which has an even higher fee, because it gives me access to Delta's lounges. They issued my new card with the standard initial limit of $10,000.

After a few months I requested a credit limit increase to the $16,000 level I had carried on my previous AMEX Platinum Card so I could charge $14,000 in home repairs I was doing to prepare my house for sale. AMEX had my complete payment history for years at the higher credit limit, but refused to raise my limit. I like the card because it generates a lot of airline miles for me, but their customer service is not what it used to be. Previously, I could work with them to address this issue, but now they simply seem to use credit scores which highly inaccurate.

Around the time I changed cards, my credit score did dip significantly because I closed a number of credit cards to eliminate my wife from the cards as she is ill and not capable of making relevant financial decisions. I re-opened all these credit accounts and an additional one, but this reduced my credit history because credit bureaus ignore all history for closed accounts no matter how relevant it may be. Further, an auto dealer made five unauthorized credit inquiries for auto financing with regard to a car for which I paid cash. I also paid off my mortgage which reduced my credit score further.

It is sad to see that AMEX is basing creditworthiness on these ignorant credit scores that ignore your assets (like owning your home outright, and having significant retirement savings), and income. The CEOs of these credit bureaus testified in front of congress that no creditor should use credit scores alone without considering assets and income. Unfortunately, that is what AMEX now does.

My biggest complaint is that they just recently increased my credit limit by $3,000, but they never bothered to tell me. I received no letter, or email and was actually informed by one of these incompetent credit bureaus. As a long standing customer of AMEX I believe I would have been able to work this out in a mutually agreeable settlement, but now their policies are standardized and automated, and do not justify their exorbitant fees. Nor do they communicate these relevant changes to your account. This would have never happened years ago.

I will keep my AMEX card until I move away from Atlanta (a big Delta hub), which I may do upon retirement. However, I will cancel it and swap it for the appropriate airline card for the nearest hub to my location. In the meantime, I simply charge whatever I want in multiple transactions and then pay them off right away several times a month so my balance never goes over the card limit. Please keep this strategy in mind if you are constrained in a similar way by AMEX or other credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

This card has been nothing but a hassle, even four months after canceling it. First time I canceled it was last Sept after paying account in full and getting agreement from rep to drop late fee. I canceled card because even though "late fee dropped," the rep told me I had to go ahead and pay it anyway and then in a month they would refund it. That made no sense, so I canceled card. I thought. Got another bill, so called in and paid off evidently some charge that they claimed had not hard posted in Sept...plus late fees. So, I canceled card *again* and paid off charges *again* and rep agreed to drop late fees *again*. Then, in Dec I get another email about damn late fees. At least the card finally canceled...I think. So I call in and rep says can't cancel late fees (which were already canceled 2x) but could escalate my "case" to some other office who would let me know their decision.

I told them I would go ahead and file complaint with BBB which I did. Never heard (so far) from this other office. Have continued to get letters claiming I owe $123 in late fees, when as far as I know all charges were paid in Sept or Oct. So today I get an email saying they received a "cease and desist order" and would no longer be contacting me for their collection efforts. That is just a word game. I never requested they stop contacting me for collection efforts. I requested they stop acting like I owe them something. See...they have not stopped claiming I owe them something, have not stopped digging my credit reports, etc.

So I called 4 times and got hung up on twice and received lots of seemingly passive-aggressive games from the reps. Things like asking for endless verification info including full social security and a "pin number" that I never set up for account (note that phone tree can identify based on last 5 of account which I have from their emails--but a couple of the reps seemingly could not use that). Have repeatedly run into these--my beliefs and opinions--passive-aggressive games that require numerous calls and never get anywhere. So all this is why I am giving Amex a one-star review. They are lying and likely will require me to pay them yet again for nothing...since I owe them nothing. And even then, will it be over...? I do not know. All my beliefs and opinions...I would never recommend this company to *anyone*. They used to be great. I consider them name-brand scammers based on my experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

American Express has this weird cash advance program. Your cash advance say $1,000 and get the $1,000 from the atm. However, 2 days later, amex goes into your bank account and gets the $1,000 back plus adds $24 or so in fees. What's the point?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Everywhere online you read that American Express gives you an instant card number upon account creation if you apply online. That's a lie. They didn't give me one, they didn't explain why they didn't, and hours of talking with customer service on the phone and online produced absolutely no result. They refuse to expedite the shipping of the card which would take 10 days through the regular mail and they refused to explain why they didn't give me an instant card number. Every representative gave me the same canned response. If this is the way I'm treated when I'm just starting out with the company, I don't think I will be staying with them any longer than it takes to get my reward points and get out of there.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

We are so sorry for having gotten an American Express card for our Non-Profit. It has proved to be useless. Every time we try to make a charge it is turned down. We have a $15000 limit and have never gotten anywhere near that in charges yet get declined constantly and have to call to get it cleared. It is extremely embarrassing. We have now talked to 11 different agents over the last week and after getting switched back and forth for extended periods they each told us they cleared up the issue. So we go back and try the charge again and once again it does not go through. So each time we have to use another credit card which of course goes through with no problems. Using American Express is a total waste of time and effort. DO NOT DEPEND ON AMERICAN EXPRESS!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I felt disgusted, annoyed, and disrespected as I was addressed as "ma'am," when I informed the customer representative named Mark ID: **, that I am a male, and told him to address me as sir. Instead of listening to what I have to say, he chuckles, and then continues to address me as "Ma'am," when I already corrected him to address me as "sir." He apologizes later on, but then he goes back to addressing me as "ma'am," the third time and laughs over the phone. Then, he goes on to address me as "Ms. Yu," instead of Mr. Yu. I was truly devastated and inflamed by his immaturity when I was trying to seek help with my credit card over the phone. All in all, I felt that this person needs to be disciplined as he was insulting me and I truly did not feel that I had even close to a 5-star customer service. It was more of a 0 star if I had to give a rating. Please fire him. He's untrainable, he's incapable of listening.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have had a Gold Amex Card for over 35 years, probably over 40 years. I used to always tell everyone I knew that Amex was the only card worth getting for the sole reason that their Customer Service was so superb. In so many years of using the card for both business and personal use, I put a huge amount of charges through over the years, really huge. Inevitably, once in a while (not often) there is a hacker or a disreputable merchant putting through a charge. Every time, up until the past year, I could reach an intelligent and helpful support person, in my own country, within just one moment after calling -- and each time, that person promptly resolved the issue in record time with minimal hassle. Unfortunately, that has all changed.

Within the past year I had a problem in that I ordered something from a Facebook Ad which never arrived. (I know -- never go by a Facebook ad -- so, I learned - my first and only time doing that.) I was unable to find any contact information for the vendor; so I called Amex for help. They opened a case for investigation. Then, I got a letter that they had received "proof of delivery" from the vendor and so they were returning the charge to my account and closing the case. They sent a copy of the documentation they had received.

The document was obviously false -- all you had to do was look at it -- The document looked like it had been copied from some glued together partial papers. It had a fuzzy image of a UPS logo at the top and said there was a delivery to Brooklyn, NY on some date. There was NO ADDRESS OR NAME for the recipient (clearly improper) and it said the weight was 0.4 lb (when the item I'd ordered would have weighed more than 5 lbs). It said the delivery was part one of an 11 item delivery -- details that did not match the transaction. Nothing else on the document to imply legitimacy.

So, I called back to complain. After so many years of such intelligent and capable customer service, I was shocked that no one had even read the simple document to make a reasonable judgement as to its validity. It seems that since the vendor sent something, anything, Amex took their word over mine -- and this is a vendor who does not have any public presence at all, appears to be a one time pop-up vendor BTW.

The 2nd support representative told me a lot of "I see" comments and re-opened the case. Some time later, I got the exact same form letter response from Amex as before -- that they were reinstating the charge because the vendor had supplied "documentation" which was attached. It was the exact same bogus document -- I mean obviously bogus, or at best, inadequate. Basic common sense would dictate that a delivery confirmation contain the name and address of the recipient and that the stated weight remotely approximate something within reason for the item purchased.

The same interaction repeated four times! The representatives re-opened the case, Amex got the exact same flaky "documentation" and reinstated the charge without even the most basic review of the case. Finally, I became utterly irate. How could Amex be handling things so poorly after several decades of excellent experience?

Further, when I call now, I get someone in a very far away continent -- every time -- with such a thick accent I cannot understand them. I am normally patient with that sort of thing, as my grandparents were immigrants who had to work in a second language. But the person was so far away it was kind of impossible to have a conversation due to poor reception, couldn't hear each other, extreme time lag in voices so we were each accidentally interrupting each other, requiring almost everything to be repeated over and over to be heard -- and constant dropped calls. When I complained about that, as politely as possible, I was told that I could always request to have my call transferred to a US representative. That's new. OK, so now I know.

Unfortunately, the new Amex US representatives also HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO MAKE ANY DECISION ABOUT A CASE OR TO FIX ANY PROBLEMS. Currently, even the US reps are little more than clerks. So, I was told to ask for a supervisor the next time -- the "next" time. Why the next time and not on the call that I was already on, after so many attempts? I was told that they "cannot" transfer me to a supervisor after this clerical drone had "reopened" the case. I was told to wait until I got yet another response in the mail. I begged them, each time, to add a note to the case that someone, a live person, needs to please actually read the documentation before making a judgement and to note in the case records exactly why the documentation is obviously fake, or inadequate.

So, when I got the exact same response yet again -- with the exact some bogus "documentation" from the vendor, I thought I finally knew what to do. I called, went through Amex's new VERY ANNOYING AND LENGTHY sales messages in their impossibly long automated voice menu until I could finally get a person. (For many years, you could just hit zero at any time and get transferred to a person. No more.) Predictably, the person was on the far side of the planet. So, I politely asked to be transferred to a US representative. Done. When I got the US person, I politely asked to speak with a supervisor. She demurred and said "don't you want me to try to help you?" I politely declined and said that I had been instructed to ask for a supervisor by her colleagues.

After a short hold, I was told that "the" supervisor (as if there was only one) was on another call and they would have to call me back within 48 hours. I requested to hold on the line instead, prepared to wait as long as it might take. I was told that would not be possible. Really?? I was not allowed to make an appointment for the callback either. So, if they ever do call back, what are the chances I'll get the call? It's not like I'm sitting around waiting and doing nothing else, never sleeping, never in a meeting or appointment. So, I conclude that I have been utterly blown off.

Every time, I asked the rep to pass on to higher management my observation and complaint about the severe and sudden decline in the quality of the Amex Customer Service system. I doubt that ever happened LOL -- this is clearly now a corporate culture of form-letter no-action responses. Each time, the reps admitted in so many words that they personally had NO AUTHORITY to make a determination and fix the problem. Wow, that's new. So, why am I talking to them? What a waste of time.

As we all know, Amex charges vendors a fee which is double the fee of every other card. So, many vendors don't accept Amex. And the ones who do, usually argue about it and try to convince you to use a different method of payment, often adding an extra fee to cover their excess costs. In an effort to simplify my life, I prefer to only use one card. I have been loyal for all these years to Amex despite this aggravation. The primary reason for my loyalty was the consistently excellent quality of customer service. It's really shocking to see the change. Currently, their customer service is consistently horrible. As bad as the worst of them. I am now searching online for a better option and will definitely be moving my credit card business elsewhere.

Very disappointed. Oh and I paid the higher Gold Card monthly fees for all these years because I thought it got me to their best customer service. (I had first started with the Gold Card back in the 1970s because, at that time, it was the only card that enabled you to cash a check at a hotel. That was before ATMs and since I had to travel a lot for business, that was big. There is currently NO benefit to having a Gold Card, and has not been any benefit for a long time, but they still charge outrageous customer annual fees for it. Again, I kept paying it solely because I felt it was worth it in decreased aggravation for the once in a while when I needed customer service.)

I'm grateful for these types of online review forums. We ought to be able to find something better. Sad to be ending what I thought was a life long business relationship. I'm sure they will lose a lot of customers due to this sharp decline in service quality. Not very good business sense, is it? Amex used to always back up customers with some sort of purchase protection. That's gone. The end of Amex as we knew it. Another good company destroyed by corporate greed. I say that because surely the low level clerical employees who work in these customer service positions must be paid very very little. And any management worth its salt would never have dismantled something like that.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

I used this company for many years, now I know who they are. Lies to everyone, don't care nothing, and the name of America is soo big to this company, they hire people all over the world, to pay nothing, all never do business with this people in my life...

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Everything about American Express is disgraceful. I signed up for a Cash Magnet card under a promo offer for 0% interest for 15 months, $200 bonus for a minimum spend, and 1.5% cash back on purchases. I was approved for the card, had been using the card to purchase material for a project and then a month in received an interest charge of $150 even though I paid the minimum payment and it was supposed to be 0% interest for 15 months. I also was not receiving any cash back or other bonuses. I called Amex to figure out what was going on and they told me, I wasn't eligible for the promotional offers. When I asked why, they couldn't tell except for someone in the "specialty department" decided they removed those options for me.

I had an option between this Cash Magnet card and 3 others from different creditors and ultimately decided on this card because it had the best offer. Only to find out, they removed the sign-up offers from my account without ever notifying me! They wouldn’t put any of this writing of why I did not get the offer bonus after being approved and wouldn’t look up or share any notes or transactions on my account. Complete abuse of power, fraud, and disgraceful business.

I ended up paying off the $15k balance to a $0 after they refused to do anything for me and then they charged me an additional $105 of interest chargers AFTER my balance was $0. I ended up losing out on close to $1,000 due to interest chargers, promo offers not happening, and a $230 transfer fee to bring the balance to $0 so no more interest charges accumulated on my 0% interest card. I will never use Amex again because of this complete fraud and intend on taking additional action to report this.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information