Find a Credit Cards partner

American Express Platinum Card

3.9/5 (1118 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About American Express Platinum Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

American Express Platinum Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express Platinum Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: July 25, 2020

I am a longtime user of American Express and rate it highly for ease of use and customer service. I’ve never had a problem that wasn’t resolved courteously and efficiently whether it be a lost card or a charge I didn’t recognize. I believe Amex to be head and shoulders above the rest. Also very helpful with travel.

Original review: July 24, 2020

The rewards take a lot of miles to get. You have to travel a lot to access them. The free checked bag and early boarding are a plus and the free companion pass are the perks that can be utilized easily. The yearly payment is steep for the occasional traveler.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I can use the card pretty much anywhere and the Customer Service is always very nice and helpful! I don't ever have any problem using the card even when I am close to my limit. They also have Credit protection which they watch the usage of my card and if it is ever used outside of the realm of my physical address -- they notify me as to why it is being used. I appreciate this.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Paid off a $2500 credit card balance. Or so I thought. I short paid by 14 cents. 14 cents! And didn’t even realize it. These people charge me $18 in fees in a 14 cent short pay and reported me as late because I did not realize that I short paid by 14 cents! They are the worst! I paid the $19 after they refused to waive it and removed the card from my wallet. I contacted Discover and asked for a credit limit increase so it won’t affect my debt to income ratio if I closed my account with American Theft (Express) and they increased my limit by $7000. American Express is a bad card company and you really should leave home without it.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I applied for a zero percent with AMEX Blue Card, and it was approved. I received the card and starting using it, Upon the 2nd Month, I received my bill with interest. I immediately called the goons at AMEX and was told that because I had another AMEX card two years prior, they would now charge interest. I immediately cancelled the card, for this what I consider a scam, for when I asked to see the rejection notice via email that I allegedly signed again via the internet, accepting interest, I was told that I would have to subpoena this info. I could not believe that I was being scammed.

By this time, I had accrued a $900 balance, and paid it over three month period, and paid no interest. So, they were coming after me for at the time $28 in interest, and they reported me to the credit bureau. This is something one sees in a corrupt business, So, Consumer, DO NOT BE RIPPED OFF BY THESE LATEST SCAM ARTISTS> This is the only CC Company that I have ever had problems with and my credit score is in the mid-800's yet I have lost 68 points due to these SCUMBAGS. I will be writing a review every where I am allowed to ALERT the consumer. And, The BBB did nothing...

Original review: July 16, 2020

I have been with American Express for some time and have always had good service however the one time that I did challenge a charge on my Amex Card it took forever to resolve through their Customer Service. Since then I have have been a leery of charging too much on the Card for fear I may not be reimbursed should a unlawful entry be made.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I had a credit limit of $7500 that was dropped to 1k because of a drop in my credit score (down to 640). I just bought a house! Never a late payment and I’ve never used more than 2k a month. I wanted to cancel immediately. I was charged the annual fee of $95 May 26th, so reasonably I should be reimbursed $79 as of July 14 given I only used a month and a half, but she said the max I could get was $71 because the bill hit in May. How ridiculous. When I called to cancel the card and have my membership fee reimbursed at a prorated rate they said no because it was more than 30 days!! Unbelievable. Punished for purchasing my first home. Thanks for nothing American Express!

Original review: July 7, 2020

I signed up for the American Express card (there are many) - this one was the Blue something or other... and came with a $300 signup bonus. AMEX did not honor their commitment. After much conversation they said that there was no offer. This was on the heals of a June conversation with an AMEX rep that was fully aware of the sign up bonus award. Pretty sickening to deal with this company. Paying off the balance and cutting up the card.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Was going on trip to Ireland and trip was canceled. They would not refund my $8,000. I disputed the charge and lost and Amex sided with the company to keep my $8,000 and not provide the trip. Sounds crazy but that's what has happened. We were going with two other couple and their dispute was won even though the company fought it with the same documents as they used for us. The only difference they used Chase. Will be canceling all Amex cards and going with Chase.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I called Amex a few times today to stop them from processing two identical payment, knowing that the vendor did not process the payment (screenshot to prove this). They have no way of stopping these payment, and they wait for the vendor to withdraw them (or not). As such you have no control over your own account and are at the mercy of the vendor. This is terrible, and I lost all my trust in AmEx today. They don't deserve my business.

Imagine a third party making a false claim at AmEx, and all you can do is see the transaction happen before your eyes and you can't do anything to stop it. And AmEx can't do anything to stop it either, as the transaction must be completed first before you can actually dispute it. It is as if you know somebody is going to steal your wallet, but you are not allowed to put your wallet in the safe. Don't trust AmEx, as their procedures will not protect your interest.

Original review: June 11, 2020

No recommend. I submitted a dispute for 4 tickets on the same time. They mailed me a letter indicate that the deadline for the merchant to respond is May 18. The merchant didn’t respond and they refunded me the 4 tickets, however, on May 24 the merchant responded with the confirmation number for three tickets so American Express decided to rebill me back for one ticket. Without any proof after the deadline time. The mess happened by American Express because the first customer service didn’t.

Original review: May 27, 2020

5-27-2020. I have been a member of AMEX since 1990. I love AMEX. My problem is with their Plan It. Originally, I wouldn't use it because of the fees attached. I decided to use it because I had to purchase almost $8,000 in airline seats, and they did not have any fees during this time (May 2020.) Plan It gave me 3 choices, 6, 9, or 12 mo. I chose 12 - $609/mo. I could live with that; I was hoping the airline would reduce their prices and it would be reduced in the long run. So, I see that the flights went down in price 20 days later and we received a little more than $4,000 of a refund to our AMEX. First, the credit does not go directly to the Plan It or to the amount the money came from. I had to call. That bothered me.

Second, I was told that once the credit goes to the Plan It that the amount that I have to pay will not go down, instead, the amount of months will go down!!! WHAT? I got a Plan It so I could plan what I was going to pay over 12 months. Now that it went down, I want to pay less over those 12 months. If I chose to pay more on my car loan, they do not reduce the amount of months that I pay. It disturbs me that I would not have even known this if I had not pushed the conversation.

I was saying to the representative that I needed to know how much I would pay because they take so long to credit everything (5-10 days) and my next payment is due in that time. She said, "Your payment is the same". I said, "How is that possible when there is over a $4000.00 credit to a $7000.00 Plan It? That is when she told me that my 12 months would change to 6 months because I paid more toward the Plan It than the amount due. So if you have a Plan It and pay more than your amount, they will hurt you by shortening your months and not tell you about it.

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you call twice you will get a different answer. Card is expensive and you get lousy service. I find this is a scam. You don’t really get what the benefits say.. there is always an excuse not to give you what is advertised. Save your money and the headache. Not customer focused at all.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Been a customer for over 20 years. Several years ago they changed the available credit policy to an automated matrix model. It was a poor idea and they explain it by saying if you pay the balance off, you will have more available. Never been late ever and the limit is based on average spending but you can’t Siena more because the limit will not allow. Insane catch 22. Do not get one of their products ever. They used to be a good company but no more.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Beware if you are using an American Express credit card. American Express has changed their policies and will now side with the merchant even if it's a scam. I made a purchase that I thought was legit but it turned out to be a scam. I tried to cancel 30 minutes after I placed the order but they refused so I tried to dispute with American Express and lost. I called American Express and was told they now normally side with the merchant, so, if you think you were scammed and you used an American Express credit card then YOU WERE SCAMMED and lost your money. My American Express account is now closed.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I wish I could give them negative 1,000,000 stars. This is the second worst credit card experience I have had since I canceled my Citi card like 8 years ago which was a nightmare. This company has even worse service than Citi. Here's my story: My dad passed about a year ago and I needed to fly home for a while. On my way back, I was checking out Delta flights and there was a promotion, Amex card, buy x dollar amount before y time and you get a $200 statement credit and 60,000 miles. Was easy to hit the minimum with my flight home and a couple of purchases.

I paid my first bill without seeing my statement because I couldn't get my card until I got back home. Once I had the card, I was trying to set up my online account but, for whatever reason, the online banking system wouldn't work. I paid my card over the phone again. By the third or fourth statement, I was fed up and called again to get my online account set up. They ask me a bunch of questions about the card and I finally get it straightened out, they set up my online banking. Cool, I see they never gave me my statement credit. I did get the miles.

Fast forward months go by and every time I go to log into my account, it's saying I have the wrong password, wrong card info, whatever and my account is blocked. I call and pay my bill and ask them to unlock my account. They make a one time password for me to get in, this happens 5 or 6 maybe even 8 times, I lost track.

Meanwhile, I call Delta to get my statement credit because Amex claims "it's a Delta promotion, take it up with them." Delta claims, "it's a statement credit, take it up with Amex." This goes on for about 2 months, on the phone for hours each time, before I finally give up and decide I've spent more time trying to get the credit than it's worth.

Fast forward months again and still cannot log into my account. Every time I call them to get it fixed they are extremely rude, ask me for different information every single time, and this last time literally hung up on me when I complained why he's asking me for different information. One time it's this number, the next time it's this security question, the next time it's another number, it's never the same. It's honestly baffling and, as if they're messing with me. Literally, it feels like they're messing with my head. Every time it's a different question that I either answer and it's not right or I don't even know the answer to.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS LOG IN AND PAY MY BILL. I honest to god at this point think they're trying to prevent me from being able to pay it easily so I wrack up late fees. I can't come to any other conclusion as to why a company would make it this freaking hard to pay a damned bill. I cannot WAIT to pay off my balance and close this card out and never have an American Express card again. This is a SLIMY SLIMY company with HORRIFIC customer service. Stay away for your own good.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Tried & tried -- online and on hold -- to contact an AMEX Platinum Card representative. Always busy. Always told to try again later. Not a good way to treat Platinum Card Holders. Worth the money? You tell me. Hoping to wait (and wait) once again for the service I already paid for. I hoped that Platinum Card holders might be treated a little better. Guess I was wrong.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Without my knowledge or reasonable clear communication American Express increased by interest rate from the the low twenties to 23.99% or 24.99% which they describe as a "Penalty APR" for not making the minimum payment of under $161.89 on October 11th 2019 when I made a total payment of $1687.05 during October 2019 paying $745.79 on October 15th and $941.26 on October 29th. So for almost 7 months I was not properly notified despite paying over 10 times the minimum balance during October 2019 that my interest rate was significantly increased to their "Penalty APR".

I called AMEX today 4/27/20 again not aware that my interest has ballooned unethically despite paying over 10 times the minimum due inquiring about having my APR reduced because of my low balance of 29% usage and the customer service representative communicated this information to me so I of course asked for all of the past interest accrued to be refunded immediately. She stated the system will not allow this and I asked to be connected to a supervisor which she said will call me. This is absurd, fraudulent, unethical, and horrific treatment of a long time customer and I implore the BBB to reach out to AMEX and investigate this and other abusive, misleading, and predatory and illegal lending practices.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I made a fairly large purchase using my American Express. I never got the item and the company said they received the item back and they were going to credit my account. I don't know what happened but the money was never refunded. I contacted American Express twice and both times they tell me the items were delivered and won't even look at the e-mails I have from the other company stating they got the item back and were supposed to refund the money. So because American Express can't be bothered to read a few e-mails I'm stuck paying over $3,000 for something I never received. I highly recommend you stay away from this company.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Loyal for 26 years. Spend over $500K. Most disappointing service ever. If you are in hardship you need to supply supporting documents. If you need help you will be transferred from team member to another team member. Everyone wants to help but no help received. Your call center overseas has no empathy or understanding. You only listen to customers when paying on time. Another big company just after revenue. Posted letter to complaints team. Never got any respond.

Original review: March 21, 2020

I bought a flight through the Am Ex website and due to the Covid - 19 pandemic needed to return earlier due to everything closing early including our hotel in Colorado. I spent a total of 12 hours trying to change my flight to an earlier one but could never get through to anyone. I would wait on hold 1.5-2hrs then the call would disconnect. I finally booked an earlier flight home on my own. It won’t let you do it online and you can’t do it directly with the airline. Again after a 2.5hr hold upon return I got ahold of someone. They told me they wouldn’t credit my flight because I didn’t call them first. Worst customer service and dishonest. I cannot believe how hard I tried to contact them and the hours wasted for that response.

Original review: March 15, 2020

First. Not everyone takes this card. Many look at you like "how embarrassing". Second. I had 15k in two cards and they CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. This type of forward disabling attitude is why AE is going to go by the waist side. I have NEVER missed a payment, Ever.

Original review: March 12, 2020

I was under the impression American Express honors their customers and fights for them in a dispute. I was wrong! They are refusing my dispute with an Amazon return which I sent in proof that they received I returned an iron for $39.95 and I was not credited on my American Express card because someone believes Amazon did not receive it. I am furious. I spend Thousands each month on my card and they treat me as if I was scamming them.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Worst experience ever. Someone manage to access my account and take $3009 from it. When I contacted customer service in reference to the transactions I was transferred to the account protection department. They opened an investigation then a few days later I received an email stating that the transactions were authorized and my refund was declined. I then contacted Amex again and told them that I was not the one who authorized the transfer or the withdrawal which I found out took place in another state. How could I be in two places at once. They still came back and told me that I authorized the transactions. I am now out of $3009.00. I have had this account for the past seven years and this the worst experience I have had since using it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I "won" a dispute with a auto mechanic who did a poor job fixing a short in my tail lights. Like they didn't work at all and almost caused a high speed rear end collision on the freeway. The mechanic was upset and didn't accept the dispute out come and "repossessed" my car for payment. Besides the disputed amount, I had to pay an extra $500 for towing charges. AMEX said it was an "unfortunate" event. After 30 years having an AMEX card and thinking there is "consumer protection", I found out that is not the case anymore.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I recently took advantage of a mortgage refinance and when the paperwork by my bank was submitted to the previous lender, I asked my new bank to pay the current balance on my AMEX Platinum account as I was going out of town and wanted it paid down. My new bank made an error and submitted the payment to AMEX along with their standard "close and release collateral" letter to both my previous lender and to AMEX. Obviously=AMEX did as they thought that they were instructed and closed my account with them. A firestorm resulted from my end but once I figured out what had happened I calmed down and searched AMEX Customer service for a way to reinstate my account and all of the accumulated benefits.

As we all know, once something gets posted into the database of a major corporate entity, it is almost impossible to reverse or correct it. In my case, it was a matter of thinking calmly and digging a bit but found a connection to the right people and group. Yes, the AMEX Customer Service people originally told me that it could not be "fixed" but they did listen and when I asked who the ultimate authority might be for resolution, they gave me an email contact. That led to a communication not only from the proper department but also from the head of that department. It was a headache although not unpleasant but through AMEX, I was able to correct the "bank error" and recover my account with all of the accumulated benefits. The bank could not correct their mistake but AMEX was able to correct it for them.

Long story short, unless someone has worked in retail or has been involved in a major call center, it is hard for them to understand what some of the Customer Service agents go through. How many times do you think that they get calls that are totally false and demanding? I can see why some people might feel that they should rate AMEX with one or less stars but surely once they put themselves in the other person's place, they can understand why they have problems. My suggestion is for anyone with a legitimate complaint to try to stay as calm and nice/polite as possible and keep asking for the next person up the line. Eventually if you are persistent enough, you can identify that "right person" and get matters corrected and accomplished. My 5 STAR rating is more for the fact that AMEX was able to recognize and rectify an error made by someone else who either didn't want to fix it or was incapable of doing so.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I've been a Platinum Cardmember since 2018 and despite the $550 USD annual fee, I was drawn to the perks. Well after 3 years with the card, I must say I am counting the days until I call Amex and inform them that I will be canceling my card. However, it wasn't always like this. My first stellar experience with Amex was when I was stranded in South Africa, and trying to make my way to Uganda for a fintech conference. With zero connections in the country, the Amex concierge service was a Godsend and got me booked with a hotel, and flight to Uganda to the next day. It felt like I was James Bond, on a high-value mission, and Amex's concierge service was my team behind the scenes.

Fast forward to 2020 and I am fed up with the continued cuts to the Platinum Card perks. The first major strike was after a flight from Florida to New York. After I flew into Laguardia, I planned on unwinding in the Amex Lounge at LGA to catch up on emails before a family friend finished work and picked me up from the airport. I arrived at the Amex Lounge only to be told I will not be granted access because they changed the policy so that Amex members who were arriving would not be granted access to the lounge!? I was perplexed and fumed, apparently it was a policy change in 2019, but I and many others were not informed of this very important detail change. After speaking with the manager, I reluctantly ordered an Uber and left the airport with a sour taste for Amex in my mouth.

The most recent debacle was on Valentine's Day. I spoke with a Sarah and asked her to give my mother a special Valentine's Day call stating that I loved her and that I hope her 2020 was going well. Sarah flat-out refused. I was bewildered because this is literally a common request with the flower delivery package concierge service and she was super rude about it and didn't even give me the time of day.

I was already fuming about the airport incident, but this Valentine's Day incident was the nail in the coffin. What was once an excellent, elite, exclusive member service and perks cards, has now depreciated into something generic and basic. The years of incredible Amex Platinum Card service is over. Save your $550 annual fee. It's not worth spending on this banal service.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

It’s bad enough that AMERICAN Express farms out their customer service to non-English speaking or understanding people, but now the fraud department has non-English speaking/understanding people. Just attempted to report a stolen card number. After 20 minutes the person kept asking if I lost the card then asked why I wanted to close the account. This is what the person got from me saying fraudulent charges were being made with my card number.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Been with AmEx for over 20 years. Do not think they will take care of you when the time comes as the managers only give lip service. "We will take note of your complaint". Right. They do not seem to care about my business needs and when I needed them most, they DID NOT GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP. Disappointed long time member that never asked for anything but needed help and they dropped the ball. Morale of the story, just shut up and pay your bill.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

After serious consideration and examination of offers available, I applied for a Delta Gold Card from AMEX. The offer I registered under promised no annual fee for the first year, a number of miles for spending a certain amount in 3 months, and an account credit for making a Delta purchase within a certain time frame. All pretty standard with this card, and it seems like every offer follows this formula with varying miles/rebate amounts offered.

Imagine my surprise when I was charged the $95 fee one month after opening my card in December. Assumed it was just an error and opened a ticket and waited multiple weeks for a resolution, and when I followed up was told "I see we have already closed this ticket, and the investigation found that your account isn't eligible to have the fee waived". They will not budge on it. If you can avoid American Express, I advise you do.

American Express Platinum Card Company Information