3.4/5 (127 ratings)

About Discover it Secured Credit Card

Discover It Secured cardholders have access to benefits that most secured credit cards don’t offer, like Social Security monitoring through Discover Identity Alerts and free monthly FICO credit score updates. Plus, Discover It Secured cards earn 1–2% cash rewards on purchases. Refundable security deposits range from $200–$2,500, and there’s no annual fee or minimum credit score required for approval.

Pros

• Refundable deposit
  • Earn cash back
  • No annual fee

Cons

• Payment verification times vary
  • Deposit doesn’t earn interest

Bottom Line

Discover It Secured offers several benefits without an annual fee. Deposits don’t earn interest, but cardholders earn rewards on their purchases and get automatic credit reviews after 8 months.

Discover It Secured credit card review

Discover It Secured is one of the few secured credit cards that earn rewards. A minimum deposit of $200 is needed to be approved for a Discover It Secured card, but cardholders can deposit up to $2,500. Discover It Secured credit card activity is reported to all three major credit bureaus, and after eight months Discover will begin automatically reviewing your secured account to see if you’re eligible to graduate to an unsecured credit card.

Discover It Secured credit card benefits

Discover It Secured credit cards come with more benefits than most secured credit cards. Cardholders enjoy flexible payment options, free overnight card replacement and zero fraud liability protection.

• Cashback rewards: Cardholders get 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on the first $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. All other purchases earn automatic and unlimited 1% cash back. Plus, Discover will match the cash back you’ve earned at the end of the first year. Cash back can be redeemed at any time for statement credits, through direct deposits or for gift cards at popular merchants and retailers.
  • Free credit updates: Discover It Secured cardholders can access their FICO credit scores (updated monthly) for free. Plus, Discover reports credit activity to all three major credit bureaus, so you can track how your credit score improves over time.
  • Automatic credit review: Discover automatically reviews Discover It Secured accounts after eight months of to see if the cardholder can “graduate” to an unsecured Discover card. Issuer credit reviews consider you Discover It Secured activity as well as your credit management and utilization across other loans and lines of credit.

Discover It Secured credit card rates and fees

Many secured credit card issuers charge a yearly or monthly fee for cardholder benefits, but Discover It Secure doesn’t require an annual fee or charge foreign transaction fees. With the Discover It card, late payments will not affect your APR and Discover will waive your first late payment fee. Subsequent late payments and returned payments will cost up to $39 each. Another avoidable charge is the 5% ($10 minimum) cash advance fee to withdraw money from an ATM.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$0
Cash advance fee5% ($10 min.)
Foreign transaction fee0%
Late payment feeUp to $39 after first late payment
Returned payment feeUp to $39

How to apply for a Discover It Secured credit card

Discover It Secured credit cards are easy to apply for, but Remember, even with the initial security deposit, approvals are not guaranteed. Some applicants are declined based on income or debt factors, like a pending bankruptcy. Be aware that filing a Discover It Secured application will generate an inquiry on your credit report, which could negatively impact your score.

1. Submit an application: You can fill out a Discover It Secured credit card application online. Applicants must provide their Social Security number, address, bank account and routing numbers. Discover It Secured credit card requirements state approved applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a U.S. bank account. Your income and creditworthiness will determine your maximum Discover It Secured credit limit. Those who have not established credit before can do so with their tax returns.
  2. Make your deposit: Part of the online application process is paying the minimum security deposit. Whatever amount you put down for your security deposit will be equal to your credit limit.
  3. Select your card design: Approved applicants can select from multiple Discover It Secured card designs (the card does not have the word “secured” on it). After your account is open for about a month, you can apply for a Discover Secured credit line increase.
  4. Receive your Discover It card: After you’re approved, Discover will send your secured card in the mail within 10 days.

Discover It Secured credit card FAQ

Can Discover It Secured credit card graduate?
Yes. After eight months, Discover will begin periodically reviewing your credit activity to determine if your credit profile has improved enough for you are ready to graduate to an unsecured credit card.
How can I apply to increases my Discover It Secured credit line?
To apply to increase your credit line, call Discover It Secured customer service after your account is open for at least 31 days. You will need to have your account information ready before you call.
Can I get my Discover It Secured deposit back?
There are two ways to get your Discover It Secured deposit back: If you close your account after paying your full balance or if Discover determines from your credit activity that you can qualify for an unsecured credit card.
Do Discover It Secured deposits earn interest?
No. Like most secured credit card accounts, Discover It Secured does not earn interest on the security deposit.

Is Discover It Secured credit card worth it?

If you’re serious about improving your credit profile through responsible use of a secured credit card, the Discover It secured card is a great option. Unlike other secured cards, this card lets you earn rewards plus it may be easier for you to graduate to an unsecured credit card after your credit profile improves.

Discover it Secured Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover it Secured Credit Card?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

I called this morning to receive a copy of my Cardmember Agreement via email since I was unable to find it on the website. After speaking with 3 representatives, I had to allow them to mail it to me. I'm extremely unhappy that in 2023 they are unable to send a simple document digitally or that it is not readily available to view on my online account. This does not make me feel comfortable as someone who has entered into an agreement with this company. The representative told me they cannot send the original agreement. The original agreement is the only one I signed up for! They can change the terms of the agreement and I would not know because they are not being transparent about this agreement. I will not enter into another agreement with Discover until they make the Cardmember Agreement readily available online for members.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Account was closed by consumer on October 19, 2022 with a zero balance with no pending activity of any kind. The account had previously been paid as agreed (for approx. Three years), prior to its closing. Customer has documents mailed to him from Discover verifying these facts. Additional charges placed on account were done so by Discover after its past customer’s closing of it. Any and all charges placed by Discover on consumer’s past, "Dead" account were done so unilaterally/illegally and in short, "Fraudulently" by Discover.*

Get buying tips about Secured Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Discover card sent me a letter threatening that they would cancel my credit car unless I chose to use it more, and when I did not submit to their tactic they cancelled my credit card which negatively impacted my credit score by 40 points. There were no negative reasons associated with cancelling my credit card such as delinquent payments as one example, but they refused to supply the credit reporting agencies with an explanation for their threatening tactics as a reason for this cancellation. Beware if you don't use your DISCOVER CARD regularly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I have been with Discover card since 1990. They have turned into a greedy nasty company who does not care about customer service. They violate credit regulations and they seem to get away with it. If you report them to the credit protection agencies, they lie and refuse to correct their mistakes. I had a situation with Mr. Handyman that I was using to put up an awning over my outside entrance of my basement. The area needed to be covered because of water getting into the basement from storms. Mr. Handyman did a horrible job. They also never finished the project and never got the proper permits to start the job, and since they never finished the work, they never got a Certificate of Occupancy that was required by the town.

Mr. Handyman had my credit card on file, and without authorization paid themselves for the unfinished project, and stole an extra $1500.00 dollars. When I found out that this crook stole money from my Discover card, I reported them to Discover. Discover said this is a billing dispute problem and they want nothing to do with it. I told discover that they committed fraud on my account. Discover told me that is what you get for giving your credit card information to a merchant.

Not only won't Discover Card correct this crime, they are sending me to collection for not paying the $1500.00 stolen money by the merchant. I refuse to be held hostage by these thugs. Discover Card has a reputation of siding with merchants, because that is where they get their money from. Every time you use your credit card, the merchant pays them a fee. You as the cardholder are actually paying the fee in the price of the purchase, but Discover looks at it like the merchant is making them money, so they protect them instead of the cardholder. They are destroying my perfect credit. They destroyed 32 years of our relationship since 1990. they advertise that they are there to protect you as a consumer. Lies and more lies. It is all about the mighty dollar.

If you want to be protected when making a purchase, I recommend using your Visa or Mastercard or American Express. They would never allow a merchant to get away with the kind of crime Mr. Handyman committed. You are better off closing your Discover card account to show them you won't accept being treated poorly as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

It takes some doing to surrender faithful use of a CC that was excellent along with its customer service. But after 20 years as enthusiastically loyal customers, we finally called it quits. The decision comes after repeated entreaties to Discover to rid the main page of a nasty sales popup that blocks quick access to essential spending data. Six or so months with this digital eye irritant and annoyance was enough. We have frozen the card and moved on. With a FICO score in the top-tier, other CC companies were tripping over each other to provide us with a sleek new card.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Discover the card with the big take back. What do I mean? After terrible customer service and card problems, I closed my account. I received an email confirmation from the company confirming the closure. It was dated March 1st, 2022. The following month I received a statement from Discover showing a charge for a Sam's Club membership was applied to that closed account. The date of the charge was March 8th, 2022. I called and asked why it was allowed, and told them it was a fraudulent charge and I wouldn't be paying it. Discover took my cash back reward and applied to the charge. They were still short what the membership cost, so they sent me statements for the balance. They lie about you not paying for fraudulent charges. They just take any rewards you are due.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I have been a customer of Discover for several years. During this time I have never missed a payment and have managed my account successfully and within guidelines. In addition my credit score has risen significantly (nearly 100 points). Yet Discover refuse to give me a better interest rate. I appears to be a profit game with them....They lock you into a high rate and then refuse to engage on reducing it, I have made several attempts to discuss it with them but, they never contact me back!.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I have been loyal to Discover credit cards and always recommending DISCOVER PRODUCTS to friends and families but they recently reduce my line of credit. I have always paid my minimum or little more never miss a payment. I will not be their customer anymore. I canceled all my cards. Used to be very good but not anymore sadly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

During the month of August of this year placed several calls wanting to speak to a manager after finding out that Discover credit card lifted a stop-payment to a merchant who I initiated a dispute against and each time their customer service dept. just simply clicked off on my calls time after time. I work in a commercial cargo boat and it’s very difficult for me to have communications with the external world which made me miss the period of time I had to submit proper documentation to support my dispute but when finally got back to land discovered that Discover credit card sided with merchant just beecause merchant provided a signed contract which had nothing to do with my cry for help against merchant whose name is U-haul moving and storage co. and my complaint was trying to get credit for all the months U-haul kept me locked out out of my own storage space since January till present supposedly for non-payments.

Therefore my dispute was put in place because obviously I’m signed up for auto-payments and month after month, Discover credit card kept making these payments, so when I got back of course went furious and kept asking to Discover credit card to stop making these payments and reinstate my dispute against U-haul.

Let me tell you how inhumane these people are: “after gathering all my evidence putting together their own statements month after month (with payments being deducted from my account to U-haul), with pictures of U-haul’s locks being put on top of my Lock to avoid entrance to my storage unit, with records and pictures of my access card being rejected to enter their premises, each time pleading and pleading for them to stop allowing U-haul from taking payments because of course my balance kept increasing month after month and Discover credit card just simply told me that dispute was over with and the matter was settled.

This merchant’s benefit and my evidence was not valid even though U-haul’s argument for keeping me locked out of my storage is non-payment and Discover credit card is the entity making these payments to them month after month; can anybody explain to me if this makes any sense? I’m calling this simply discriminatory behavior from Discover credit card towards me as simple as that…. It’s my desire to cancel this account and refinance debt with a different entity but my score has gone so low beacuse of course when they gave credit back to merchant and kept making payments to them my balance when pass the limit and is been impossible to get approved so simply Discover credit card has ruined my reputation as credit holder with them being 200% wrong on their part. Shame on this corporation and please stay away from doing business with this rip-off company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

They said they returned my security deposit 3 times. It never arrived. Then last week I called again. They said the 3rd or 4th check was already sent out. That was at least 10 days ago. No check. I called again for 4th or 5th time and now they want to put it directly into my account which will take 10 days. Obviously they don’t care about their customers or in my case ex customers. I’m canceling them because they can’t be trusted. DO NOT TRUST DISCOVER CARD!

Discover it Secured Credit Card Company Information