2. Finance
  3. Secured Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Discover It Secured cardholders have access to benefits that most secured credit cards don’t offer, like Social Security monitoring through Discover Identity Alerts and free monthly FICO credit score updates. Plus, Discover It Secured cards earn 1–2% cash rewards on purchases. Refundable security deposits range from $200–$2,500, and there’s no annual fee or minimum credit score required for approval.

BOTTOM LINE

Discover It Secured offers several benefits without an annual fee. Deposits don’t earn interest, but cardholders earn rewards on their purchases and get automatic credit reviews after 8 months.

PROS

• Refundable deposit
  • Earn cash back
  • No annual fee

CONS

• Payment verification times vary
  • Deposit doesn’t earn interest

Discover It Secured credit card review

Discover It Secured is one of the few secured credit cards that earn rewards. A minimum deposit of $200 is needed to be approved for a Discover It Secured card, but cardholders can deposit up to $2,500. Discover It Secured credit card activity is reported to all three major credit bureaus, and after eight months Discover will begin automatically reviewing your secured account to see if you’re eligible to graduate to an unsecured credit card.

Discover It Secured credit card benefits

Discover It Secured credit cards come with more benefits than most secured credit cards. Cardholders enjoy flexible payment options, free overnight card replacement and zero fraud liability protection.

• Cashback rewards: Cardholders get 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on the first $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. All other purchases earn automatic and unlimited 1% cash back. Plus, Discover will match the cash back you’ve earned at the end of the first year. Cash back can be redeemed at any time for statement credits, through direct deposits or for gift cards at popular merchants and retailers.
    • Free credit updates: Discover It Secured cardholders can access their FICO credit scores (updated monthly) for free. Plus, Discover reports credit activity to all three major credit bureaus, so you can track how your credit score improves over time.
    • Automatic credit review: Discover automatically reviews Discover It Secured accounts after eight months of to see if the cardholder can “graduate” to an unsecured Discover card. Issuer credit reviews consider you Discover It Secured activity as well as your credit management and utilization across other loans and lines of credit.

Discover It Secured credit card rates and fees

Many secured credit card issuers charge a yearly or monthly fee for cardholder benefits, but Discover It Secure doesn’t require an annual fee or charge foreign transaction fees. With the Discover It card, late payments will not affect your APR and Discover will waive your first late payment fee. Subsequent late payments and returned payments will cost up to $39 each. Another avoidable charge is the 5% ($10 minimum) cash advance fee to withdraw money from an ATM.

FeeAmount
    Annual fee$0
    Cash advance fee5% ($10 min.)
    Foreign transaction fee0%
    Late payment feeUp to $39 after first late payment
    Returned payment feeUp to $39

How to apply for a Discover It Secured credit card

Discover It Secured credit cards are easy to apply for, but Remember, even with the initial security deposit, approvals are not guaranteed. Some applicants are declined based on income or debt factors, like a pending bankruptcy. Be aware that filing a Discover It Secured application will generate an inquiry on your credit report, which could negatively impact your score.

1. Submit an application: You can fill out a Discover It Secured credit card application online. Applicants must provide their Social Security number, address, bank account and routing numbers. Discover It Secured credit card requirements state approved applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a U.S. bank account. Your income and creditworthiness will determine your maximum Discover It Secured credit limit. Those who have not established credit before can do so with their tax returns.
    2. Make your deposit: Part of the online application process is paying the minimum security deposit. Whatever amount you put down for your security deposit will be equal to your credit limit.
    3. Select your card design: Approved applicants can select from multiple Discover It Secured card designs (the card does not have the word “secured” on it). After your account is open for about a month, you can apply for a Discover Secured credit line increase.
    4. Receive your Discover It card: After you’re approved, Discover will send your secured card in the mail within 10 days.

Discover It Secured credit card FAQ

Can Discover It Secured credit card graduate?
    Yes. After eight months, Discover will begin periodically reviewing your credit activity to determine if your credit profile has improved enough for you are ready to graduate to an unsecured credit card.
    How can I apply to increases my Discover It Secured credit line?
    To apply to increase your credit line, call Discover It Secured customer service after your account is open for at least 31 days. You will need to have your account information ready before you call.
    Can I get my Discover It Secured deposit back?
    There are two ways to get your Discover It Secured deposit back: If you close your account after paying your full balance or if Discover determines from your credit activity that you can qualify for an unsecured credit card.
    Do Discover It Secured deposits earn interest?
    No. Like most secured credit card accounts, Discover It Secured does not earn interest on the security deposit.

Is Discover It Secured credit card worth it?

If you’re serious about improving your credit profile through responsible use of a secured credit card, the Discover It secured card is a great option. Unlike other secured cards, this card lets you earn rewards plus it may be easier for you to graduate to an unsecured credit card after your credit profile improves.

Discover it Secured Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover it Secured Credit Card?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover it Secured Credit Card?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I have been a Discover It card holder since 2013. They have great customer service Lingo, a decent cashback program as well as a lower APR in comparison to some of the other cards out there. They were great until I needed them most, and they fall short. I am a small business owner (photography) and I was in need of a new light for a campaign shoot that I was hired for with a 48 hour notice. During Covid, buying a new light was the best option. The light arrived damaged, broken beyond repair, FedEx refused to ship it back, and the merchant wouldn't do what was necessary to get an insurance claim.

I contacted Discover to advise them of the situation and they stated to file a dispute as they were confident this could be resolved. So, in August, I did just that. All photographic images and EXIF data are not sufficient evidence. So I sent telephone records, email correspondence etc to verify that I did not violate the Merchant's TOS. I contacted the dispute manager and spent almost 2 hours while they combed through my information and found that yes, I indeed contacted properly within guidelines. I was informed to not worry, this will be sent back through and all will be well.

Fast forward to six weeks later and it was denied for the same thing, and now there is zero proof as to whether the product was damaged by me or the shipper. Keep in mind, all photographic evidence is null and void so there is nothing the consumer can do at this point. They have since informed me they exhausted all avenues and are so sorry that this is the resolution. The $2,992 charge is mine and they apologize for any inconvenience of not being able to pause or hold the interest charges while I speak with an attorney and try to resolve this.

Long story short, there are much better cards out there. Discover has zero consumer protection, zero purchase protection and aren't really willing to work with you. Any small business or consumer looking to make a big purchase, don't. Choose a card like Chase. Granted, this is the perfect storm that has almost a near zero probability of happening, or I would have used my Chase card to protect myself, alas it did happen.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I have the Discover It card and it has been wonderful. I had to leave my career, a career that I enjoyed very much due to a neurological diagnosis that ended in me being declared disabled. Discover was the only of the credit card companies that I had that waived the late fees for me and even paid one month and issued me a $100 check, that cover the remaining months for the year. They were completely understanding and worked with me. This is a great card and I am glad that I have it.

Get buying tips about Secured Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This is the worst business practice that I have seen in 15 years. So…. Discover it card approved my application and took my money all in about 5 minutes. Then I received an email stating that they needed to review my IRS taxes for the past few years. Until this review was performed I could use my card but I would have to return the money if I did not pass the review. At that time I told the representative to cancel the card because I didn’t want the IRS all in my affairs. They transferred me to another representative that stated they would NOT be asking for-- or looking at-- my financial information and that they were only doing an address verification.

The next email I received stated that I did not pass the tax review. I spoke to another rep that said, "Sorry for the mixed communication but we do review the taxes for financial information. However, I can’t tell you what criteria was used. You are welcome to apply again at anytime but this case could not be escalated." So I asked when do I get my $500 back? She said 2-3 months. WHAT!!!! This is a sham. Discover should not be taking money until one is 100% approved for the card. Then they should not be holding money for months. This should be illegal as it is unethical and a highway robbery.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

First I bought some books online and Discover refused to let me use buyer protection. But they put a false credit on my statement months later to make it appear they credited it back a year prior when it happened! They make issues with points all the time and will put a balance on your card for it. They closed my account today for my credit usage on other cards going up. They are idiots and for 3 years have been a complete nightmare. This company will actually affect your whole life. I don't recommend.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

Worst Dispute Department!!!! I disputed a purchase 3 times but as of now, still not resolve. The company initially agreed to refund the charge and they sent me an email confirmation. I waited for 3 months but I did not get the refund so I disputed it via Discover. They told me I have to prove that I did not get the refund. How am I suppose to prove that? The refund should have been reverse in my credit card so why are they asking me. I email the company and they are not responding to may email anymore. Shouldn't Discover ask the company for proof of refund/payment? I've done chargeback before and I know that the merchant is responsible in providing the proof of payment and not the customer. I will dispute again for the 4 time. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I received bill in June and called as I hadnt used my card. They said they would look into it. Again in July. Now they say I incurred $120 in late fees. For a BJS charge in March. No record of call convenient. Said today I may have called the wrong place.

Original review: July 9, 2020

They took my deposit then sent card a month ago. Let me use the card for a few small purchases Then let me sign up online for Mobile use. Next night I get a email Account closed. Never called. Said that they didn’t see my name on the account info that was sent in to verify identity. Again didn’t call. I could of sent it to them. Now 2 more months before they return my money. Only took 48 hours to take it from the account they could not verify.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I missed an auto payment on my credit card due to switching bank accounts. I picked an adjusted repayment plan that Discover offered. Discover still reported that I did not make payments to the credit bureaus because the repayment plan that they offered was below what was owed. I was unaware of this and thought everything was fine because I was making monthly payments that Discover set. My credit went down over 200 points in a 3 month period. It does not make sense to offer a repayment plan then stills report to the credit bureaus that I was not making payments.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I have had my Discover card going on Four years! I started with Credit limit of around 1,000. After years of having card and NEVER missing a payment they gave me credit increases. My credit limit was 3,500.. When I ran into hard times due to this covid I had to use more of my credit ... (on other cards to). Since I’ve use the credit given to me Discover lowered my credit limit (cause now I’m considered high risk). They took the $500 I had for available credit which now looks like I maxed my card!

If you know anything about credit when you have maxed cards your score drops dramatically!! I just built my credit for the past 5 years for Discover and another card to ruin it! I will never understand why give a credit limit then when you use it they punish you and take it back! I can see if I’ve missed a payment or something to give you a reason to believe I would not pay but after almost 4 years of never missing or being late on payments to lower my limit and RUIN my credit history is beyond me!

Original review: March 30, 2020

I received a letter in the mail from Discover. That an account was opened in my name and was closed pending verification. I have never dealt with Discover. Thankfully there was no monetary loss. I wouldn't use their services as they don't value privacy. Plus I don't want my credit score affected.

Discover it Secured Credit Card Company Information