3.8/5 (797 ratings)

About Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: June 30, 2022

I am a 74-year-old, long-term Hotmail subscriber. Before moving permanently to Guatemala on 4/22/2022, I sold my computer. I forgot my Hotmail password. All my sources of income, bank accounts, and tax records are available only by electronic communications in that Hotmail account. I spent countless hours filling out Microsoft online forms, only to be denied access to my Hotmail account every time. Much research revealed I cannot contact Microsoft by phone, chat, or text to explain my situation and prove my identity conclusively with voluminous evidence. In the decade or two that may remain to me, I could lose over a million dollars due to Microsoft's actions. Many people serve long prison terms for doing far less harm than that. If only Microsoft would communicate with me personally, this grand problem could be solved so easily.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Who's gonna cure malaria then? How does Windows get worse with each passing day? Why on God's green earth does the run taskbar in the lower left corner search the internet? Why is it set to be the priority? I want to find and use the functions which are built into my computer. We don't need to rebrand them as "apps"; they should only require the web if they require the web; "programs" was fine. "Apps" doesn't exactly sex it up, dial it down. I want to manage my drives and devices. I have a computer; I know where the internet is. If I want to shop, I will write "for sale" or something to that effect in the search bar on a search engine. Or click on the "shopping" tab.

I am using the computer in English because that is my native language. I am fluent. Please stop pushing your trash products on me and let me try to manage the files I am using. Please for the love of God why is this happening? Why does my Device Manager simply list my devices? Fascinating. Now let me manage them. I miss Windows 95, and that's saying something. Please God, make it stop--the endless updates, mostly. Every update makes the computer, system, functions, "apps", etc. WORSE. If I wanted "apps" I would be using a phone. I bought a laptop for a reason. I'd hate to live in a world where my cell piece has superior functions to my laptop.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I purchased credit for my 11 year old daughter on her Microsoft account. However we were unable to use the credit on her account. I contacted Microsoft and spent over 1 ½ hours on the chat… Eventually spoke to the manager…. but was informed that Microsoft will not refund the money. There is no honesty in this company… No caring for their customers… No sense of ‘doing the right thing’. Even the support person knew and agreed that what I was requesting was a very reasonable request for a refund under the circumstances. The money was sitting in my daughter’s Microsoft account… not being used. But they said that Microsoft policy was not to refund the money.

Please listen to the overwhelming number of reviews. Go to Apple where you will be treated with care and respect. Where if a user makes a mistake… and changes their mind about an order… the money is promptly refunded. Microsoft just point blank refuse to refund the money… which is a very short termed and close minded way of dealing with customers.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Tried to rent a movie on my Xbox and got an error message stating that the transaction didn't complete and to try again later, so I rented it from Amazon Prime. A bit later, I got an email from my bank stating that the Microsoft charge actually did process. I sent a refund request to Microsoft with a detailed message about what happened, but they refused, citing that their Terms of Service does not allow refunds for movie rentals. But if their system told me that there was an error and that I wasn't charged, but Microsoft actually takes the money and refuses to give it back, constitutes theft IMHO. I called my bank to dispute the charge and they didn't even need to investigate it. They gave me my money back immediately.

The thing that sucks about that is that Microsoft gets to keep the money anyway, because when you win a dispute through a bank, the bank actually eats the cost because they don't actually take the money back from the merchant. I'm still going to pursue other remedies (like this review) to make sure people are made aware that this happens, because until we start holding corporations accountable for their theft of our money, they'll keep getting away with it! So do not be satisfied with just a charge back from your bank! EVER! Always do what you can to let as many people know about what the corporation that stole your hard earned money as you can or they'll just keep doing it!

Original review: April 4, 2022

This is going to be a long post. I have a Microsoft Surface Book which cost about 3k when purchased. So as you can see it's not the cheapest you can get. It is an I7 and the best at the time. There was an update in April 2020 that ruined my experience with Microsoft. When that update occurred, I realized my network adapter was nowhere to be found. Now when that update happened it was 2 months after my warranty expired (of course) and when I called tech support I was told that. They did try to fix my computer using many techniques.

The last one being a usb update which didn't help either. I went online and read multiple users experiencing the same issue as myself. If you see soooooo many people complaining about the same thing that is no longer a user error but a manufacturing issue along with the update. I have not found one person say that calling Microsoft has solved their issue. In order for me to fix the network adapter they said I would need to pay $599 plus tax to get a new computer as there isn't a way to just fix the adapter. How convenient is that for them? Needless to say that laptop sat for over a year as a "paperweight".

Fast forward a year and a half and I was able to use my laptop by buying a usb adapter for the wifi. It wasn't the most ideal fix since when I detached the top I lost all wifi but it was a fix nonetheless. This was working for the most part until a couple of months ago when I decided to call Microsoft technical support again hoping they found a fix now. I spoke to someone in another country as I always do for them, and the rep went through all the same steps I did two years ago with no fix.

The only thing this time that was done different was she logged in to my computer remotely and worked on it that way. So as you can see my computer was still operational since she was able to log on, but what happened after destroyed what little I had of it. There was an update she did and once that happened I was unable to turn on my computer at all. I called customer support, talked to manager and everyone said it was my fault because letting someone from their tech support work on my computer was at my discretion and even if they broke it, there was nothing they could do. WOW! Simply WOW MICROSOFT. A multibillion-dollar corporation treating me as a piece of... Telling me to go buy a new one or pay the 600 to get a replacement.

Since I received no help I decided to go to my lawyer who drafted a nice email explaining the situation and to help with something that their own tech support in who knows what country broke. I then get an email in response to this saying they can't help. I asked why they aren't communicating with my lawyer, but never get an answer to that. Just the same answer saying, "WE WILL NOT HELP YOU!" When I spoke to my lawyer about this, he said the reason I am getting this is because they sent it to a normal customer service rep that follows the same guidelines and answers everyone else has.

Microsoft, you have lost me as a customer and everyone I speak to will hear what I have to say, I have the proof in all the emails you sent me and my damaged 3K laptop that I never got to use! I feel unappreciated and definitely taken advantage of. I will also post this on every forum and every social media so no one goes through what a lot of people have gone through by reading reviews!

Here is a snippet of the last email they sent me. **

Basically, this says it could have been an update (which how is that my fault?), a piece of software installed (which there wasn't, it was the same way it came from factory) and that I have to use this at my own risk. It also says sometimes extensions are given but not for years..... Well I called 2 months after my warranty expired but somehow they have no record of that lol. How convenient! BEWARE EVERYONE!

Original review: March 18, 2022

My father passed away almost two years ago but Microsoft will not cancel his automatic renewal for Microsoft 365, let alone reimburse my mother for two years worth of fees even though the computer was wiped clean and given to charity. Customer service has been contacted seven time. Shame on Microsoft for stressing out an elderly grieving widow with this issue. No other company has done this as we've gone through the process of sorting out my father's affairs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I bought this device and it's been nothing but an issue and I'm not able to do anything I intended to do with it. It's incredibly slow with literally one added app onto the device. Even with a side by side comparison to my laptop.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

When Microsoft will stop ruining the customer's property? I had updates that came on my computer this morning, and it ruined my computer. It is the second computer damaged with Microsoft updates. Microsoft updates have to be turned off if you would like to keep your computer in working condition. The customer service does not provide any proper support like always. The computer does not boot even with the USB. Can just go and buy another one, thank Microsoft updates. I hope they have enough liability insurance to pay back for the customer property they ruined.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The ads have become so long...even in a foreign language to me. The other player can keep playing, beyond the timed point where one automatically loses. Regardless of my experience, with the ads, it doesn't seem to matter. I will not play on this site again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Do not pay Microsoft to store your data, they deleted all my files because they said the account was inactive and my storage was full. I paid for 1 terabyte of data and didn’t even have close to a terabyte of data stored. I was paying them an annual fee to store my data. How does that inactivate my account? When you pay for an annual fee to store data you assume that means your account is active. Well with Microsoft don’t assume any data you have stored is safe. My most valuable information was stored, Don’t ever trust Microsoft. They are incompetent, untrustworthy crooks. If you are going to wipe out someone’s files how about you mail them a letter first. Did they do this? Nope. I’m switching to Apple products. I’m done.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

They are thieves. I have tried to cancel this subscription for over two years. They give me the run around. They always hang up on you! They have taken out over $600 out of my account and they will not stop. They clearly see that this account has not be used or signed into.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I purchased a new Surface Pro and Microsoft 365 Personal at the same time. When I received the Surface Pro it had Microsoft 365 Family loaded on it. At 1 month, I noticed that they sent a statement saying that Microsoft 365 was going to be charged again. It was at that time that I realized they had 2 different subscriptions tied to the account. So, I called and asked if I could just cancel the one I had not been using. They said that even though I had not activated the 2nd subscription it has been 30 days, so they would be unable to refund the cost of the unused subscription. And even to get to this answer was difficult. I first called and was told to call back because their system was down.

The 2nd person disconnected me trying to transfer. The 3rd time the individual said they could see all the information on her screen and was getting me to the right department. Again disconnected. Called back again, this person said they could not find the information on their screen. Was transferred 2 more times and the last person told me what I said above that I would just have to pay for both subscriptions this year. This was a disappointing interaction and poor customer service. The few times I have had to interact with Apple, they always worked to make thing right with little difficulty. Although in this world we may be forced to use Microsoft products, I would encourage everyone to use them only when necessary and turn to Apple or others whenever possible.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Never in my life have I ever been so frustrated with a piece of ** software like this. For the love of God I cannot install programs and do basically anything without another admin user account. BECAUSE OF ONE SOFTWARE UPDATE. I have an i9, 64Gb of RAM and 2Tb of storage, so don't blame it on the hardware because of ** software. I am going to write negative reviews on every site that I can review this ** of an operating system. Go back to XP if you can, at least that was stable.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I had a 9 month old surface laptop that suddenly wouldn't charge. Raising an online Microsoft work order was a nightmare afterwhich I was asked to ship to Germany (from Italy) ... 3 days later I received an email to say it had been thoroughly inspected and was being returned (didn't give me any specific reason), then 15 mins later to say it has just been received and approx 2 hrs later to say it was being returned unserviced & was not a warranty issue! No reason as to why it wasn't a warranty issue. Local Italian phone support (English not an option) could do nothing and advised to raise another order on return! UNBELIEVABLE - wasting my time & machine still not working - DON'T BUY.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I am so upset. I have paid over 1000 dollars for a surface laptop. Sent it to Microsoft for a repair order!!! They have had my laptop for over a month. they blew my phone up saying they could fix it hurry and send to them.. Then I get 2 emails after I have shipped the device stating for me to send the laptop again. They are so ridiculous. This is absurd and I am livid. I study cyber security and can't even do my work!!! Sorry to say but I am pissed!!! I will be contacting where I got my laptop through and reporting it stolen. Honestly Microsoft I use to always support you. Say goodbye to stocks... Be aware. Do not send hardware to Microsoft. They are scam artist and hang up on you and they keep cancelling the order after I have shipped my computer to them.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I got a Laptop in July 2021. By September 2021 the PC starts shutting down every 1 hour. HP cannot fix it till I uninstall Windows Enterprise. Microsoft outsourced the chat support to very incompetent people who would be so quick to dismiss or transfer the case to a non existent support staff. I have used Microsoft support in the south nut the support in the north east are very incompetent.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I bought the Surface Book 3 on 29/11/2021. But the item was not delivered within 5-6 business days. Hence I contacted the support team and they advised the item will be dispatched after a month on 29/12/2021. On 29/12/2021 I received a tracking no with a expected delivery date 30/12/2021. But when I enquired the status of the delivery on 30/12/2021, I was informed by the Microsoft support team, that the item not yet handed over to DHL express and delivery could be any time after 2/01/2022. Hence for all the delay and hassle made me really disappointed with the poor service Microsoft offered. Expect to say sorry, there are no other apologies offered. I will never buy anything from Microsoft store again unless some accountability is taken and improve the service in future.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I recently purchased a Surface Pro 8 online at the surface store. I have had issues with the product from the start. Yesterday the onscreen keyboard would not appear. I called customer support and requested a call back, it came and then I had to wait on hold for over 9 minutes for someone to talk to. After going back and forth for a few minutes I was told to hold on again as he was checking something-I was disconnected. I called back, received another call back, this time I waited over 12 minutes. I told him that I was dissatisfied and wanted to return everything. He transferred me to sales, I spoke for a few minutes with someone and again was disconnected. You can't make this crap up.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

On November 6, 2021, I decided to try Microsoft 365 Family free 30-day trial promotion. The promotion required a credit card, without promise to pay unless you decide to move forward with the service. I used my Debit Card for the sign up. The service was defective including having the ability to hack into my computer and block me complete access without Microsoft allowing me that permission. This was not included in the promotional plan information. I cancelled on December 5, 2021, and on December 6, 2021, Microsoft fraudulently charged my debit card $99.99. I tried contacting Microsoft at 1-800-426-9400, 1800-642-7676, and 425-882-8080. I was unable to speak with a live person. On each number I found a pre-recorded message referring me to help.microsoft.com.

I went to this website and tried to cancel online, after I checked the cancel your subscription, I received this message, "WE CAN'T CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION". I have tried multiple times to reach a live person to assist me at Microsoft. It doesn't exist, the phone numbers are all bogus and this is a scam to trick consumers into defective and unwanted service traps for profit. I want a full refund and this company sanction accordingly.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I just bought the phone and the deal was if I don't like the phone up to 3 months I can return that. It has been 3 weeks. Good luck to find the return on the "Order detail", cheap items the return link is there but the phone no return option. On their site, Any link you click send you back to where you were, or it says "bad request", which it shows on their ideas of service, "Closed loop". You can find no one, the phone doesn't work properly, the software on the phone conflict with each other and there is absolutely no service whatsoever. This is a software company and this is what they give us? Bad business, all I can say. Stay away purchasing on their site, or prepare to lose your money.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I contacted your company through a webchat and the person from your end asked my permission as an assisted team to help me out. After I gave this person permission, this person didn't know how to do his/her job and accidentally deleted some information from my phone which was connected to my computer to help me out to send that information into the SD into my phone. After this person did this, he/she panicked, left a 5* review from his/her end and closed all of the chats, screens and restart my computer and I couldn't reach this person, I tried to phone Microsoft, there is no reliable phone number to talk to a live person, I need to make a complaint against your employee, I feet betrayed by Microsoft and I can't trust Microsoft anymore.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

The Surface Laptop Studio delivers BROKEN. Out of the box, the operating system causes blue screens of death and total loss of data every ~2 minutes. When I tried to exchange the broken product for a fixed one, I was told to simply place a new order and receive a refund on the first order to get the replacement product in 2-3 days. I did this, and was then told (AFTER I paid ANOTHER $3000+) that my replacement wouldn't deliver for another four weeks--even though the broken one delivered in 2 days, and I was expressly told that the replacement would deliver in 2-3 days.

When I called customer service, they told me that their warehouse is only full of broken, already-returned devices, and that they don't have any functioning devices to ship. Note that this product was only released less than 2 weeks ago, so I assume my experience is not unique. When I said that answer was unsatisfactory given what I had been told by the previous customer service representative, I was told that the person I was speaking with *didn't have a supervisor* and that *no one else* worked in the customer service department of the entire Microsoft Corporation.

I've canceled both orders now to have my entire ~$7000 refunded. I will update this review if I'm given any more trouble on getting my money back. I won't be purchasing a Microsoft product ever again. While I've been a lifelong customer so far, resisting the allure of the (much cheaper) Apple products, I will now be making a total switch. I'm not giving up $3000 on products that come off the assembly line broken and "2-3 day" delivery periods that somehow translate to 4 weeks in reality. If you read this review, I implore you not to purchase the Surface Laptop Studio or any Microsoft product unless you want to endure a similarly miserable experience and 2 weeks of no laptop computer.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

I ordered surface laptop 4 in August and despite reaching multiple times asking them for some information about its status. I STILL DON'T HAVE MY LAPTOP. I didn't expect this from Microsoft. I wanted this laptop for my school and I still have no clue about its delivery or any whereabouts. The estimated delivery is by tomorrow but this is the last time I am reaching out to help and yet again they ask me to wait. Please don't buy ever from here. I was trying to switch from Apple to Microsoft but I regret my decision already after such a poor response.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I recommend staying away from Microsoft. The company operates on some outdated models, where you have only 30 days to cancel your subscription! It's cloud-based software, for every service out there you have the right to cancel at any time and get your refund, yet Microsoft is shady **. Stay away from them, there are better free software out there that do the same job if not better. Never again will I do business with this ** company!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

Can we sue Microsoft if someone hacks our account, then uses it to gain access to other accounts we have because their ** automated system won't let us back in and they don't offer customer support or customers service? I'm definitely placing a call to the Better Business Bureau, this is **.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I have found charges that date back over a year from Microsoft month after month and when I try to contact someone about it they said they would have someone from the main office call. They never did and now when I try to get a live person it won't let me so I have to close my card down and everything to stop payments but what about my money they took for services I never used?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Poor Customer Relations. My Excel is screwed up; tables are sideways, incomplete. Word has disappeared and won't come back. I called the numbered for Microsoft. I punched a few buttons and it said "Goodbye." Really BAD COMPANY. Doesn't hold a candle to APPLE. If I had an alternative product I would switch.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I am a user and not a person up to date with the latest how-to chase around different locations of files. Since the last updates, I have lost my Excel spreadsheet, that I purchased and my past Photos files. I am only a user.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Issue reported: Chrome and other non-MS browsers not launching. New issue on a previously properly functioning device. Two separate MS Technicians stated that the issue was due to the user account profile being corrupt. Cause stated as a virus or network interruption. Neither had occurred. Explained and demonstrated the issue to the Techs. I informed them that the PC was new and used by my son for school (Chrome login required) and had worked fine until today.

Techs wasted my time (5+ hrs) troubleshooting, rebuilding user accounts, and wiping the computer to reinstall Windows10. All for naught, because they were not addressing the issue which was the Microsoft Family settings had changed (by MS) and that was blocking my son's access to non-MS browsers. It seemed odd that the Chrome had functioned on the PC until today. Then only MS browsers would work. I had asked both tech if something could be blocking the Apps from launching and was told no.

Meanwhile my wife had been searching the web the Techs and I weren't making progress. A Google search revealed the issue the issue was caused Microsoft Family. MS Techs should know their own product. When they promise to call back if the line is disconnected, they should call back. The end of call survey is a farce because it doesn't accept negative input. Microsoft Tech support wasted 5+ hours of my time and never actually resolved the issue. Misdiagnosis, errors in "troubleshooting", disconnected call with no call back, incorrect information provided. Issue caused by Microsoft product, resolved by wife & Google.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

That a huge corporation like Microsoft would see it as fitting to withdraw person-to-person on phone support is appalling. I have Windows 10 and Office 2019. There is a glitch in the software that is impacting on my ability to print from Word. Copy the document to Google Docs and there is no issue. Microsoft Help is abysmal - time consuming and no relevant answer. I have had to spend $250 via two competent computer technicians and issue remains unsolved so far. This should not be the case for a product that Microsoft is responsible for. A company that’s states the outright lie that shifting to online help will Make it easier for the customer is appalling. Would no longer recommend them Or their products. A company is only as good as its post-sale customer service, which for Microsoft is NIL!

Microsoft Company Information