3.9/5 (1224 ratings)

About Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I've had this laptop for years and I regret every moment of having it. Every time I reach out to some one in customer service they never care to help me with the problem or even try, they also refer me or transfer me to someone else or HP and in the end having to be transferred more than once is a issue. NO one at Microsoft takes ownership of the customers' issues, let alone foster an environment where it sounds like they care about our issues and really want to help. Today I ran into another software issue where the laptop out of nowhere for the first time decide it wants to restart and ask of a BitLocker Key which HP states always happens on its own with Microsoft computers. I despise calling into Microsoft. It's the worst company I ever dealt with. I'm in school and have had more issues with this computer than any other brand of maker. I will definitely be shopping for another computer this weekend.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

The rep who sold me the Surface lied to me and the company refuses to honor the $100 post-sale credit they promised. Even though it was written and saved in the chat log. Two follow-up chat conversations and a very long phone call to sales support and each time was told "we can't do anything, but we've put a note in for the chat rep and they will contact you tomorrow to fix this". All **. No one ever follows up. Asking for a manager gets you hung up on. Which means another 30 minutes on hold or waiting for a chat rep to respond. I will never buy another Microsoft device again.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

As a news source, really bad. Content stays on for days and becomes irrelevant - not helpful if news is what they want to provide. Also, have to sort through so many ads to get to actual information, again, if you are trying to be a news source, make me sort through the news to find the ads, not the other way around. Also, many of the stories are related to controversial issues and the most inflammatory take on them rather than just reporting the facts - amusing some people think MSN is liberal - most links are to Fox News. Not saying Fox is bad, I choose a variety of sources to get balanced coverage on issues, but liberal, MSN is not.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I wish I could rate lower than a 1/5. I ordered a Surface Pro 7+ bundle back in March 2022 with the type cover keyboard being shipped in mid-May 2022. While FedEx lost the type cover package, I have contacted Microsoft customer support five separate times to handle the issue. They kept blaming FedEx, however, they did not offer a solution to resolve my problem. I did everything that they told me including filing a claim with FedEx on June 2 which FedEx sent to Microsoft to approve and no response so the file was closed 3 weeks later. I had to reopen the file with FedEx and try calling back Microsoft to approve it. I have asked Microsoft several times if they could resend the type cover and they said that they could not each time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they said someone would call me back within 10 minutes and then another 3 weeks went by with no phone call.

Then they told me they would give me a reference number for a credit towards the type cover which is not in stock and they do not know when it will be back in stock. They said that I need to keep checking back and call when it is available to reorder. I asked them if they could just send one to me once it is back in stock, however, they said that they would not do that. I have wasted so much time and it has been over two months since the package was lost and dealing with Microsoft. They are not helpful and this is a very upsetting experience. I am going to return my surface and go buy an Apple instead. I have always been an Android person, but at this point, I want to get rid of all Microsoft products.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I received an email from the actual legit Microsoft support saying there was a sign-in activity from Ukraine, and it gave the IP address and other information. Sent from account-security-noreply at accountprotection.microsoft dot com. But when I manually checked my "recent activity" in my Microsoft account, no such sign in was listed, either successful or otherwise. I contacted support about it, and after over an hour of trying to convey the issue, they finally just stated "it's fine, don't worry about it. You are secure." At which point I asked them why this happens, to which they replied "it is the random emails. Don't worry about it."

So of course I asked "Random emails?" But they continued to just say "Your account is secure. There is no sign in from Ukraine, is there anything else I can help you with?" After having gone AFK for a long time as if to check for the activity... It was very suspicious and I asked for a transcript of the entire chat. They insisted there would be one. When I asked for reasons why I would receive an email from them about unusual activity that isn't showing up in my recent activity, they said they'd 'forward' it to a tech team." So I requested they email the transcript AND give me the case number for this 'forwarded' case. They insisted it would be emailed after I stopped talking with them on the chat.

I insisted they email it beforehand. He gave me the current case number. I requested the case number of the FORWARDED case, and he said it's the same number... After being promised an email of the transcript of course I hang up and no such email was ever sent. So I ask you, would you feel safe knowing you received a legitimate email from Microsoft saying unusual sign in activity has been reported from another country, only to be told "nah don't worry about it. It's totally fine. That didn't happen. That email was just random." So what is Microsoft actually doing with my account info? Are they picking and choosing what actually gets reported to me?

Original review: June 30, 2022

I am a 74-year-old, long-term Hotmail subscriber. Before moving permanently to Guatemala on 4/22/2022, I sold my computer. I forgot my Hotmail password. All my sources of income, bank accounts, and tax records are available only by electronic communications in that Hotmail account. I spent countless hours filling out Microsoft online forms, only to be denied access to my Hotmail account every time. Much research revealed I cannot contact Microsoft by phone, chat, or text to explain my situation and prove my identity conclusively with voluminous evidence. In the decade or two that may remain to me, I could lose over a million dollars due to Microsoft's actions. Many people serve long prison terms for doing far less harm than that. If only Microsoft would communicate with me personally, this grand problem could be solved so easily.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Who's gonna cure malaria then? How does Windows get worse with each passing day? Why on God's green earth does the run taskbar in the lower left corner search the internet? Why is it set to be the priority? I want to find and use the functions which are built into my computer. We don't need to rebrand them as "apps"; they should only require the web if they require the web; "programs" was fine. "Apps" doesn't exactly sex it up, dial it down. I want to manage my drives and devices. I have a computer; I know where the internet is. If I want to shop, I will write "for sale" or something to that effect in the search bar on a search engine. Or click on the "shopping" tab.

I am using the computer in English because that is my native language. I am fluent. Please stop pushing your trash products on me and let me try to manage the files I am using. Please for the love of God why is this happening? Why does my Device Manager simply list my devices? Fascinating. Now let me manage them. I miss Windows 95, and that's saying something. Please God, make it stop--the endless updates, mostly. Every update makes the computer, system, functions, "apps", etc. WORSE. If I wanted "apps" I would be using a phone. I bought a laptop for a reason. I'd hate to live in a world where my cell piece has superior functions to my laptop.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I purchased credit for my 11 year old daughter on her Microsoft account. However we were unable to use the credit on her account. I contacted Microsoft and spent over 1 ½ hours on the chat… Eventually spoke to the manager…. but was informed that Microsoft will not refund the money. There is no honesty in this company… No caring for their customers… No sense of ‘doing the right thing’. Even the support person knew and agreed that what I was requesting was a very reasonable request for a refund under the circumstances. The money was sitting in my daughter’s Microsoft account… not being used. But they said that Microsoft policy was not to refund the money.

Please listen to the overwhelming number of reviews. Go to Apple where you will be treated with care and respect. Where if a user makes a mistake… and changes their mind about an order… the money is promptly refunded. Microsoft just point blank refuse to refund the money… which is a very short termed and close minded way of dealing with customers.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Tried to rent a movie on my Xbox and got an error message stating that the transaction didn't complete and to try again later, so I rented it from Amazon Prime. A bit later, I got an email from my bank stating that the Microsoft charge actually did process. I sent a refund request to Microsoft with a detailed message about what happened, but they refused, citing that their Terms of Service does not allow refunds for movie rentals. But if their system told me that there was an error and that I wasn't charged, but Microsoft actually takes the money and refuses to give it back, constitutes theft IMHO. I called my bank to dispute the charge and they didn't even need to investigate it. They gave me my money back immediately.

The thing that sucks about that is that Microsoft gets to keep the money anyway, because when you win a dispute through a bank, the bank actually eats the cost because they don't actually take the money back from the merchant. I'm still going to pursue other remedies (like this review) to make sure people are made aware that this happens, because until we start holding corporations accountable for their theft of our money, they'll keep getting away with it! So do not be satisfied with just a charge back from your bank! EVER! Always do what you can to let as many people know about what the corporation that stole your hard earned money as you can or they'll just keep doing it!

Original review: April 4, 2022

This is going to be a long post. I have a Microsoft Surface Book which cost about 3k when purchased. So as you can see it's not the cheapest you can get. It is an I7 and the best at the time. There was an update in April 2020 that ruined my experience with Microsoft. When that update occurred, I realized my network adapter was nowhere to be found. Now when that update happened it was 2 months after my warranty expired (of course) and when I called tech support I was told that. They did try to fix my computer using many techniques.

The last one being a usb update which didn't help either. I went online and read multiple users experiencing the same issue as myself. If you see soooooo many people complaining about the same thing that is no longer a user error but a manufacturing issue along with the update. I have not found one person say that calling Microsoft has solved their issue. In order for me to fix the network adapter they said I would need to pay $599 plus tax to get a new computer as there isn't a way to just fix the adapter. How convenient is that for them? Needless to say that laptop sat for over a year as a "paperweight".

Fast forward a year and a half and I was able to use my laptop by buying a usb adapter for the wifi. It wasn't the most ideal fix since when I detached the top I lost all wifi but it was a fix nonetheless. This was working for the most part until a couple of months ago when I decided to call Microsoft technical support again hoping they found a fix now. I spoke to someone in another country as I always do for them, and the rep went through all the same steps I did two years ago with no fix.

The only thing this time that was done different was she logged in to my computer remotely and worked on it that way. So as you can see my computer was still operational since she was able to log on, but what happened after destroyed what little I had of it. There was an update she did and once that happened I was unable to turn on my computer at all. I called customer support, talked to manager and everyone said it was my fault because letting someone from their tech support work on my computer was at my discretion and even if they broke it, there was nothing they could do. WOW! Simply WOW MICROSOFT. A multibillion-dollar corporation treating me as a piece of... Telling me to go buy a new one or pay the 600 to get a replacement.

Since I received no help I decided to go to my lawyer who drafted a nice email explaining the situation and to help with something that their own tech support in who knows what country broke. I then get an email in response to this saying they can't help. I asked why they aren't communicating with my lawyer, but never get an answer to that. Just the same answer saying, "WE WILL NOT HELP YOU!" When I spoke to my lawyer about this, he said the reason I am getting this is because they sent it to a normal customer service rep that follows the same guidelines and answers everyone else has.

Microsoft, you have lost me as a customer and everyone I speak to will hear what I have to say, I have the proof in all the emails you sent me and my damaged 3K laptop that I never got to use! I feel unappreciated and definitely taken advantage of. I will also post this on every forum and every social media so no one goes through what a lot of people have gone through by reading reviews!

Here is a snippet of the last email they sent me. **

Basically, this says it could have been an update (which how is that my fault?), a piece of software installed (which there wasn't, it was the same way it came from factory) and that I have to use this at my own risk. It also says sometimes extensions are given but not for years..... Well I called 2 months after my warranty expired but somehow they have no record of that lol. How convenient! BEWARE EVERYONE!

Microsoft Company Information