1.13/5

947 Microsoft Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

8 years ago Microsoft blocked my email account and gave no reason for it when I called up. For the past 8 years I have been trying to gain access to my account for very important information, they have passed me on to numerous tech support staff and made fill out a password recovery form over 79 times with no help whatsoever. I never needed password recovery for the first 2 years as I remembered my password clearly but still they wouldn't unblock my account. Now past forward 6 years and I am still made to fill out the same form after telling them numerous times that I can't remember the information to fill out the form. That brings us to today when I finally got through to the tech support call centre in the Philippines.

After being on hold for 15 minutes a girl answered the phone whilst still being in engaged in a conversation with a co-worker. After I demanded to speak to a manager because it was the clear the lady taking the call wasn't going to give up her office chat, I got angry and asked again to speak to a manager (this being the third time I asked). She then put the phone down on her desk and continued to talk to her co-worker which then turned into mocking me. All I ask is that I can get into my emails to recover pictures and videos of my deceased father that I don't have anywhere else. I have done all I can to ask for help from a company who had no right to block my email account in the first place. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD.

Original review: June 13, 2019

As a quite-satisfied user of Windows 7 (and Excel) for over a decade I'm now told to buy a new computer with Windows 10. I gather I will then have to pay a monthly sub for access to Excel - even though I originally bought a lifetime license. I have continually upgraded my hardware based on my original £1000 laptop. I now discover that a new laptop to the same spec as this - but with Windows 10 - will cost me £3000!! NO WAY!! And what are the environmental consequences of binning billions of usable computers?? BIG TECH has really gone rogue! Anti-competition laws and eco action should be triggered. And where are the new start-ups with better value ideals, products and services that we can all flock to? Or have they been steam-roll purchased by these companies to prevent disruption. It's time to stop filling Microsoft's coffers.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Do not buy Microsoft products online from Microsoft.com. I pre-ordered a Surface Go on July 10 of 2018 and received the merchandise on August 3 of 2018. Because I paid off my credit card statement every month. I didn't realize Microsoft charged me twice for a single order of 1 item. They are not suppose charged me on July 10 until they shipped the merchandise. I was charged on July 10 and again on August 1. I contacted Microsoft to get my refund but they refused to refund me. They stated that there was only 1 charge. But I have my credit card statement as proof. Microsoft has the worst customer out there. They bounced my calls from one department to another, even one time to a keyboard repair department!! I am planning to get my money through small claims court, therefore I advice people, don't do business with Microsoft!!!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

I have had a Microsoft account for over 20 years now. I used to call with issues whenever I had them and would get the help I needed. Recently, I set up a new email account for a new job. I failed to write down my email password, my fault, I know. I tried to reset the password using the reset form but was told I didn’t provide enough information to reset it. Well, I’ve yet to use the address so I’m not sure what other information I could provide except my personal information, which is correct. When I called to get assistance, I was told that I would have to pay $120 or $180 for help.

I have NEVER had to pay for email assistance before. Other assistance, I understand. But paying that much to reset the password for a free email account sounds absurd! No, I just can’t. And no compassion at all. Just, "Ma’am that’s what it cost to help you." It’s all about money now. I guess the lesson is, don’t forget your password on a new email address unless you’ve got money to dish out.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Unreliable. Lockouts frequent without clear explanation. Pathway to restore a parade of unwanted advertisements leading to virtual support. This brainchild doesn't recognize basic language and displaces blame for language issue to user. Asks user explain the problem better because program is still learning... Thought that is what I paid Microsoft to do? Gratuitous offer to speak with 'a person' leads to a phone number that goes nowhere without alternatives.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Microsoft, totally lacking in support and taking responsibility. Any bugs in their software are just ignored and left to the end user to solve, work around or we just have to accept it does not work as advertised. Maybe the bugs are fixed in the latest available release, or maybe not. Maybe there are other bugs instead, but you have to pay them more money to find out.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Got a charge last month for Xbox Game Pass, after I canceled it. I canceled it again, after I was charged. I was just charged again today for the same thing. It is impossible to get a hold of any tech support. Their website has no way of contacting an actual person.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I went to an MS tech support center as they were hiring. It was called Murial. Needless to say I was ghosted on the job so here's my review. I have been a MS user since 1987, msdos 3.2. I have had certifications in MCP, MSCA, MSCE and CCNP, I lost my developer job a while ago so I went to try and get a job at this company Murial. They did MS tech support at the business level, being a certified MSCE in the past with over a decade experience I figured I'd throw my hat in. I went to the interview and was interviewed by 2 under 22 year olds one a boy and the other a girl (definitely not adults), neither had any experience. It was obvious as I have been an interviewer for a fortune 100 company in the past responsible for hiring for a company generating half a billion dollar revenue.

After every question I was apologized to, over 30 times. When I questioned the interviewers they couldnt even answer. They didnt know ex how many employees they had etc. so in closing MS outsources to companies that put people who should be fry dunkers at McDonald's in charge of hiring and revenue stream. And you wonder why your tech support experience sucks, they passed up a MSCE for an applicant who doesnt even know what command prompt let alone PowerShell is. I'm sure that it was another "oppressed minority", but they told this citizen to go be homeless.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I had many files of important work on my desktop, then Microsoft did an update without any permission and wiped my entire desktop. I can't get any of my files back and I potentially may lose my job now. Just stay clear of Microsoft.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I took my sister’s laptop down to manufacturer settings to reload everything due to many issues she was having, which I’m guessing was her virus protection. I had the same issues and did the same thing to mine a couple months ago… no more issues. While her computer was reloading itself I got an error that kept looping, “Why did my PC restart? There’s a problem that’s keeping us from getting your PC ready to use.” I went onto Microsoft’s community forum and found an answer, and thought I would give it a try. It had me create an installation media from my laptop and save it on a USB drive, then load it onto my sister’s laptop. After a couple small issues, it finally worked and her laptop was ready to go.

PROBLEM! When I plugged my external hard drive in to pull all her items off and put them back in folders on her laptop, they were all gone. I called Microsoft and spoke to a few different people, to get the same answer. They informed me that I shouldn’t have used my external hard drive, because it says on your website that I could lose everything.

I told them that I read the “Applicable Notices & License Terms” and it says nothing about that, or I wouldn’t have done it. They told me to click on the drop boxes under the download button and it’s all listed there. Ok, it says above the download button “For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.” If there was a chance it would erase my hard drive, there should have been something saying, “STOP! READ THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO DOWNLOAD!!” Nowhere in the forums that I looked at did anyone say anything about losing information, and the instructions were spelled out so I didn’t feel I needed more information on using the tool. And, I’ve downloaded things many times before and have just never had this issue.

I used my external hard drive because I wanted to make sure I had enough memory to hold the download. Now, not only have I lost my sister and her family’s last 19 years of pictures, documents, etc… I have also lost every picture I’ve taken in the last 12 years, all my recipes, documents, school work, everything! And, customer support is telling me it’s my fault and there’s nothing they can do.

I left work, and ran to Best Buy hoping they can bring it all back but they’re not sure and it’s pricey so rent for April will be an issue. But, I had to pay it because I had to at least try and pray they can recover it. I guess the bottom line is that if there could be an issue with losing information while doing a download from your website, there should be a warning when you click on the download or very bold and drawing attention to itself… not hiding under, “For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below."

I’m just devastated right now, and dreading having to tell my sister and her husband that I may have lost everything. I have to say, 2019 has not been the greatest... I lost my dog in January and now every picture of her that I had saved is gone. Best Buy still running diagnostics trying to recover my life, and right now the estimate cost is $550... but could go over $1000. I even found the email address to the CEO of Microsoft and sent this information; I knew he wouldn't respond but you would think they would have SOMEONE reach out.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I purchased a Microsoft XBox Controller in December with an extended warranty. It quit working in less than 3 months. Microsoft advised - "Send the controller and all of its accessories to our warranty/service dept." I did and within a week they sent me back the controller only - no accessories. I was not able to tell if it was a new one or my original because it didn't work. I talked to the first point of contact at Microsoft's Customer Service Dept to have them tell me - "Someone will call you back within 72 hours."

When I didn't receive a call within 72 hours, I called them back. I spoke with Microsoft's first point of contact again who now says that they are aware of my situation and it has been escalated to a higher dept. and that they will call me back within 72 hours. BUT THEY DON'T! It's now more than 4 weeks later and I'm still without a working controller, all the accessories, and any answers from the MICROSOFT Service Dept in TEXAS. AND I PURCHASED THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

Original review: March 28, 2019

For two months now I've been trying to get an adequate technical support from Microsoft Windows 10. I can assure everyone, if it is anything beyond basics, which I can fix myself 99% of the time, you'd get nowhere with their spine chill causing "tech support": Hours on hold, phone calls abruptly terminated after being on hold for hours. Promises to call back with solution that never happened. The latest (last three times) was a call when promised and, as soon as I say Hello, Microsoft hangs up with email immediately following saying that unfortunately they were not able to get through to you, but, if I wish I can contact them again - another wasted hours on hold. Same story again and again for two months. Don't repeat my mistake. Don't buy anything made by Microsoft or running inside of it. You'll be very sorry you did the first time it stumbles as the result of Microsoft QA lacking Windows update.

Original review: March 25, 2019

When I need help for Xbox I will call Microsoft (because it;s linked to Xbox) but whenever I want a representative to speak with me it tells me since I need help with Xbox it sends me to go to the dang website for help and not talk to someone. This is bogus and people should be able to talk to real life people and get help right away about the Xbox issues they have! It's just terrible.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for thirty years, spending many thousands of dollars on its products, as well as a Windows Insider, beta-testing its products for free. I recently bought Microsoft’s Office 2019 for the full price. A couple of months later it turned to be identical with Office 2016, which I had also paid for. Microsoft adamantly refuses to refund my payment or to exchange the product for its Office 365, claiming that over one month has passed since my purchase. My messages to its management team have been ignored.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I originally went to renew my basic Home Microsoft in late October of last year. I tried several times to download and it wasn't working. After the email attempts went unanswered, I finally called in November. The tech rep said that I had to go the next level up as I had gotten an new computer. He said, "Don't you worry, you will most assuredly get a refund." The rep tried very hard to upsell me on a pricier version of what I was going to get which I would never have to renew. I advised that I was unable to do that at the time. There was never any case number given to me and I did not know to ask for one.

In February I ended up getting that next level up Microsoft program. There was no discount of the 69.99 I originally spent. I provided my cc for the 125.00. I recently called customer service and was told since it was passed the thirty days with no case number, they could not do anything. I escalated the call and got the same answer only with a case number. Microsoft originally made the mistake in being too busy trying to upsell me instead of providing a case number for a refund. I am clearly paying the price for their error. They suggested I go through my bank for help. Microsoft should have taken ownership, not my bank.

Original review: March 17, 2019

On Monday March 11th, my computer did a Windows critical update and it crashed my computer. So far no luck on restoring the computer or files. My Father just passed away and I had photos of his Military funeral on my computer. Tech guy is not sure if he can recover them. Heartbreaking???

Original review: March 16, 2019

I believe I have contacted this company about three times about the same issue. Twice by phone and I believe once through their chat service. First contact was sometime in 2017, after I purchased the Surface Pro at the end of 2016. A portion of my screen wasn't working by touch nor with the pen. I was only able to use my keyboard or I had to turn the screen around to touch that part of the screen. I called after troubleshooting myself and was told to do the same thing. I had also informed the representative that there wasn't a store near me and she verified that the closest store was three hours away, which I wouldn't drive that far for someone to tell me what I already knew, which something was wrong with the actual hardware.

I called the other day to get help because there are even more issues. I haven't had it that long and after paying $900 I think they should've replaced it when I first called about the issue because several other consumers have had the exact same issue. I also have some weird cloudy images at the bottom of my screen, which I had told the representative back then. The issue is that when I called a few days ago I was told they can replace it if I pay another $400, which isn't right. They made a faulty product and I would never invest any more money in a product that several other people have had issues with. I contacted the BBB and the company said the same thing. It seems like there's a script that they keep repeating regardless of the situation. If your warranty is expired that's all they care about, regardless if you called when it was still in effect.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was told what I had to do to get a refund for unauthorized purchases. I did it and was denied. I called, sent emails was given the runaround. I was told there was no reason I wouldn't get a full refund due to it being unauthorized. Still nothing but a runaround. Today an employee told me I was wasting my time with the emails and calls. I have over 400 dollars in unauthorized purchases on my card. I'm a single parent. I'm not a multi billion dollar company.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Microsoft should be legally forced and prevented from saying they have updates available. Instead forced to say we have downloads available that will screw up your computer and ** you off to no end as you try to fix what the download screws up. My wireless router nightmare is thanks to their latest "update".

Original review: March 14, 2019

Use Ubuntu. Learn it. You are better off. Use Linux operating system not Microsoft Windows 10 nor 365. They are spying on people. I have viable proof. I purchased a full version of Windows 10 and my motherboard and professor went bad. The activation key does not work no more. 109.00 down the drain. No way. I log out of Microsoft. Next thing I'M logged in again. Three reps same thing. They need control of my I say my computer. That's a no no. Never let anyone screen share no one. The activation error comes up all the time. They are a bunch of thieves and very sneaky.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Liked the product until the batteries behind the screen expanded and pushed the screen forward. Now there is a 1/2" crack in the top of the screen between the monitor and the frame. Fear at this point this is likely a fire hazard.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Purchased a Surface Book 2 for 3 grand, has not been working out of the box. Contacted MS support from day one... It has been a nightmare. Their support does not care. Neither is there a escalation process. Stay away from MS hardware products. Their service is MICRO and their products SOFT. My case number is ** just to prove that this is a genuine case.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had called Microsoft because I use my computer for work. I have not had my laptop for a year yet and I noticed the keyboard area is staining so it looks very dirty and unprofessional. I decided to look some things up and I noticed that was one of the biggest complaints with the surface laptop... So let's get to my experience with them. I explain to them my issue and the one person that worked there said, "Yes we know about this but there is nothing we can do about it." I said, "Do you make a cover or something? I can put over it?" No... So I was like, "Can I talk to a supervisor?" and he said no. And I was like, "Are you serious? I cannot talk to a supervisor?" He said, "No you can't..." So this is the big money maker company that treats their customers like this. Oh and his name was Surender. Great job Microsoft for hiring the most caring and professional people. Well done.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I am a Mac User and after dealing with the Mac technical support, it's a nightmare dealing with Microsoft. I use Microsoft Office for Mac and called them for an error message that comes up every time I open word. They sent me from one department to another and was on the phone for 1 hour when I finally just hung up. They are TERRIBLE. Without getting to the point they go around in circles and it's a disgrace!!! So frustrated.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Cannot use basic functionality. The interface changes constantly, nothing works. This operating system functions more like a virus than any OS I've used. The help options were literally removed. Anyone wanna join a lawsuit?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Do not buy a Microsoft product, they are horrible! They refuse to reset your password and want you to pay 10.00 for them to unlock it even though you give all the right and proper answers!!! They are scammers!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This is my service request number: **. Technical support seemingly was reading out instructions from a script. They say they can only provide basic technical support and hence unable to solve my issue. This should not be a consumer’s concern that they are only able to resolve basic issues. They must be able to escalate up to a level sufficiently skilled to resolve any and all technical issues in relations to the Surface Pro. I would advise that if you are unable to find laptops on your own, don't put faith that you will get sufficient support with this warranty.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This is an MS Outlook tech comment/question or a “heads up” for anyone who might use Outlook 365, or who might have insights into such things. Maybe this is unique to my computer, but I can’t know that. I’ve used MS Outlook for years. Recently I moved from Outlook 10 (machine resident) to 365. One thing I’ve routinely done is to hit “reply”, type the reply, manually save the message numerous times during typing (even though I have it set to save automatically every 1 minute—from experience, I’m paranoid about losing my work!), and then come back later to open the file in the Drafts folder to finish and send it.

I’ve done this for years and have never had a problem with this. Until today. I spent two hours typing a reply to a discussion partner... and then another two hours trying to find out why Outlook 365 deleted my reply without a trace, even though I had saved it manually as described above. Gone! In the ensuing two hours, I discovered after multiple experiments, that most of the time, when I hit “Reply” to a message, office 365 is not actually saving that reply anywhere while I’m typing it, whether I manually save it or not. A “New Email”? Yes, it saves that to the drafts folder. But not always a “Reply” message. Sometimes it does. But not most of the time.

Even this message was not saved in the drafts folder despite multiple attempts to save it. It was “being saved” nowhere. Maybe yours works fine. Or maybe you might be Replying to messages without a net. I don’t know. (Yes, yes, I know. Get a Mac! Try Thunderbird! Quit sending email! It’s all Greek to me! Blah, blah, blah.) Caveat Emptor.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

What customer service? Had issues with 3+ hours on hold... Absolutely unacceptable from a company as big as Microsoft. Kept getting transferred to another class of individuals and no one could seem to fix my problem activating my Windows 8 and upgrading to Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive on my HP laptop. Still trying to resolve my problem... STILL ON HOLD!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought a laptop 1 year ago. Recently Microsoft did an upgrade. I cannot connect to internet, they lost my photos. I have called numerous times in the last 2 weeks even have a case #. Never got called back upon consistently being disconnected. So this morning upon finding another issue related to upgrade I cancelled all subscriptions and will sell my computer as they don’t care about the home user or people whom are not tech savvy. I can go to library for free! Good riddance Microsoft windows!

Microsoft Company Information