2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5
Based on 1,293 ratings submitted in the last year

Microsoft Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2020

Extremely frustrated with this company. Windows 10 installed itself without my permission and fried my hard drive, erasing important information that I cannot get back. Paid $600 to a data recovery service that couldn't do anything to fix Microsoft's mess up. Got a new computer and tried to use microsoft word. It will not let me use an older version, and is trying to make my buy word back after I had it on my old computer that THEY fried. So many hoops to jump through that lead nowhere. Word is still locked and I refuse to pay just to use the basics. Very annoyed with your garbage.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Servers are down, website is down, can't even give them my phone number to text me when it's fixed! And to think the Coronavirus is causing productivity to go down. Well, it might as well have, because I can't even play my video games to pass the time if a pandemic DOES happen in my neighborhood. Get it together, Microsoft! #fixitnow I swear on my father's grave that if I ever had to give a second critical review on a company I've already criticized I would post some bad stories on Facebook or Twitter or any of those Socially awkward websites about them. (Not Reddit. Seriously, Reddit's toxic) But anyways, I'm betting that the American Government has caused a nationwide panic over a mere flu bug causing my issues to not get resolved. I just wanna put all of these bad blunders into a blender (Mimics Blender noise) and drink the bad smoothie. Because I don't know what else there is to say. That's my two cents. ** out.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I am a paying customer for OneDrive for storage purposes. When I called up the customer service for my Outlook account they refused to help connect the onedrive to a new Outlook account. Why should this be so difficult? Especially since the email account is of no good. It only gets bombarded with spam emails.

Original review: March 7, 2020

On March 6, 2020 I had an appointment with the Microsoft store in Lenox mall to resolve the issue of my computer, laptop, being compromised by a "upgrade" placed on it by Microsoft on March 4, 2020. I entered into a non business party environment with a noise so loud I could not communicate with the employees.. I was received in a very hostile racist manner by all the ** employees. The manager Rashon **, told me to produce proof of purchase before anything would be done.

I have had my Dell laptop for 7 years and never had anyone ask me for that when I needed maintenance done!. I am requesting a formal investigation be conducted by the justice department for violation of my civil rights based on my race. I am a Irish ** 20 year U.S. N. retiree. The manager is a **. A number of microsoft employees were also laughing at me while I was in the store. Richard **

Original review: March 5, 2020

I had Windows 7 and MS Word 2000 and was very happy with both, except for the occasional untested updates that created problems. I understand that Microsoft creates new products to generate new revenue. However, since Windows 10 forced me to get a new PC and a newer version of Word, I have had nothing but problems. Not wanting to make annual payments to Microsoft for the new Word program, I bought Word 2013. Bad mistake. It doesn't resemble the old Word program at all, and it changes the formatting of my documents whenever it wants. It is a pain in the ***. Some of my important emails disappeared since installing Windows 10, which I understand is a recurring problem. That is unacceptable!

I hear that the programmers at Apple have a good laugh whenever they read the mess that Microsoft has created. My wife told me that Microsoft's untested software has turned me into a grumpy old man. I read that Microsoft's new products are sending more and more of their customers to Apple. I regret that I didn't make that switch. Beware of Microsoft's new products and their untested updates!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I bought a laptop in November 2019. I had used it only once a week to download music to the laptop. Last night I turned on the laptop and the automatic updates started. I waited for those to load. Then it said updates complete, then it said updates not complete, then the laptop shut off and when I tried to turn it back on it would not do a thing, just a black screen. I tried several times to get it to turn back on and would not do so. I left it off overnight and same thing in the morning. Would not do a thing when I tried the power button.

Fortunately, the place I purchased the laptop said I could return this one for a new replacement. My concern is that this happened with the update. Will it happen again with the replacement? I would like to install updates manually. This way I will have time to research each update before I allow them to possibly ruin another laptop. I would appreciate knowing how I can manually load updates, rather than have them load automatically. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Keep in mind that I am a dedicated Microsoft and Windows user. My 10 year old laptop crashed, so I bought a new one. In setting it up, I discovered all the information I needed to log in to Windows and to access my wifi was on my old computer. It isn't like I log in to Microsoft all the time, so I don't remember the password. I finally did find the wifi password elsewhere, so at least that worked.

Without being able to remember my password, and with the failure to reset it one of my current experiences, I used my cellphone # and created a new account. Well, Microsoft will not permit the same email account to be used for two MS accounts. So, I used an old one that I rarely access. I logged into that one - TG I remembered the password.

Remember, I am helpless at this point because it is a new laptop and I NEED to get to my stuff. Every step of everything requires that you 'verify' who you are, even after you have logged in. After several tries to get them to send a code to my alternate email, I realize the email name is spelled wrong. The _ has been turned into a -. I am pretty sure I typed it right when I set this up, but it's possible I didn't. It asks if you want to chose an alternate email and I reason that I can just type it in correctly and that will be my alternate email. Wrong. They expect it to have @outlook.com on the end.

At this point, I am extremely frustrated. I have been fighting with this thing for two days... so I log in to Microsoft and try to get a live chat. No, it's a bot. That was a dog chasing its tail experience, so I do a search for live chat and go to the link. It is 7:47 and the page says they open at 8 am (on another page it said they had 24-hour support). I came back at 8:15 and now the message is they are closed on Fridays, but they open at 7:00 am, Mon-Thurs. Today is Friday. Hmmmm, I smell a rat. I try to post feedback and all of the links are broken. Basically, I am trying to set up Office so that I can access files that I have on my external backup drives... but noooo, I can't get there from here. When security renders you hogtied, it is not secure. So, while I still give Windows a 5 star - I give my experience a -10, and they definitely need to fix some things.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Bought Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade for $99. Didn't function. Got a call from Microsoft support, offering a diagnostic exam for my PC. 30 minutes later, the Indian gentleman said that half my files were corrupt, that's why I could not open any programs. I told him that before the upgrade my PC was fully functional, and I only upgraded because Microsoft suspended support of Win 7. A few more minutes of broken English **, he said, "We can fix the problem for $199.00 for one year, $299.00 for two years, or a discount price of $349.00 for three years." So in my view, Microsoft corrupted my PC for $99.00, then tried to extort bogus repair fees for 1-3 years, I removed the hard drive for proof of the crime, and bought a new hard drive, and will buy a copy of Win 10 from a dealer off Amazon. WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Never Buy Direct From Microsoft. The absolute worse customer service experience ever. After you spend an hour trying to get to a real person and answering a bunch of irrelevant questions, you will get to somebody in some country who knows absolutely nothing about what you are asking, who will then push off on someone else so you can repeat everything, and then they will not know anything will then push you off to someone else who won't actually be there because they are closed as it is the middle of the night wherever they sent you.

I made the mistake of buying an Xbox directly from them, and then tried to add warranty, and was told I could not do it until I received it even though they had all the info, so I played along and called when it came and then was told, "Oh no. You cannot do this. You have to go to a Microsoft Store" which of course did not exist. After trying for an hour and a half, I finally found an answer on Google. I went on my Xbox to the app store. Bought the warranty in 5 minutes, and not one of their so called experts knew that this was possible. THE ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH ANY COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I called for assistance re my purchase of Office for my MacBook Pro. The representative was courteous, but I spent most of the 45-minute conversation asking her to repeat herself. She was obviously from India and had functional English skills, but it was SO laborious to understand her. In addition, background noise from other conversations in the phone center often drowned out her voice—at times like talking on the phone in a bar! I was so frustrated I ended up canceling my order. Is it too much to ask for customers reps who are fluent and who can articulate English clearly? Microsoft needs to do better, especially given the enormous profit margin and excessive tax breaks.

Microsoft Company Information