1.06/5
Based on 118 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 25, 2018

841 Microsoft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have contacted Microsoft support to solve an issue, that was through the virtual assistant and I have asked to talk to a person who is real, after few minutes waiting, I got connected to an agent; "Please check my service request number." Agent have asked for remote virtual desktop access that I have agreed on, after we moved to the remote access he immediately ended the chat box, and rate himself as 5 stars, so this was not a customer feedback about this agent. He rated himself 5 stars, amazing! Unfortunately, your customer service remote support agent was very unprofessional and started opening my personal files which is not related to the problem that I reported, also without my permission. When I have asked him on the chatbox why he is opening my personal files, he didn’t respond and immediately turned off the session without writing a single word.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My computer was updated by Microsoft update. Their new involuntary Windows 10 update crashed my computer. Called tech support on 5/23/18 and they could not help me. Was told I would receive a call from a level 2 support person at 9:00 am on 5/24/18. I called back at 9:30 and was told he would call before 11:00 am. Here it is 4:30 in the afternoon, no call. No computer. I did a search and holy cow. My computer was wiped out, lost all data, photos. I can't replace the photos, and it's going to take a couple of weeks to get back most of the data. Thanks Microsoft, will not buy your computers anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have often had issues right after Microsoft installs update to my PC. The March 2018 update locked me out by killing my mouse and keyboard so I could not log in. I spent around $140 at Fry's to have my PC files backed up and everything wiped. We all thought I had been attacked by a virus. After spending days trying to get into my PC myself, and days waiting for Fry's to restore my PC, I had to reinstall all of my programs. I spent almost 2 hours on hold with Viper support only to find out that they were inundated with calls from others having the same issues after to Windows update.

They re-sent my software and explained what happened with this:"We have researched this issue internally and have found this to NOT be a VIPER related issue. We contacted Microsoft directly and Microsoft has confirmed KB4074588 has known issues where some USB devices stop working. We recommend contacting Microsoft directly for any issues related to your USB Keyboard and Mouse no longer working. Their contact information can be found at ** or by calling 1-800-642-7676".

After trying to get answers and compensation over the phone, I had to drive to the Microsoft store and talk to a manager. He said they were aware of the issue that was happening "on older PC's". I showed him proof of my repair bills, and the receipts that showed my PC was only 9 months old. I am a senior living on Social Security with limited income and thought they might at least pay my out of pocket expenses. The manager came back with $100 in Microsoft gift certificates and said he would escalate my issue to corporate but could promise nothing. After getting home, I looked at what was available at the MS store. Nothing there was of interest to me. Follow-up calls just led to more frustration. I was given lip service and promises of return calls that never came. As big as this company is, you would think they could afford to at least cover the damages they caused.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I kept getting message to download Windows 10 from Microsoft on my computer. When I downloaded updates, my computer went blank, I lost all my files and computer does not work. I called Microsoft, they called twice but could not fix the problem due to Windows 10 updates. They do not want to help. It will cost me $225 to get it fix at the local computer store or Best Buy. This company is fraud and I will never buy anything from Microsoft. They have monopoly on the computers. Government should do something about this. My file number Microsoft gave me is **. I have filed a complaint with the FCC regarding this issue.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I recently swapped my father's hard drive. Moved over to a SSD. Creating a system image, and then trying to clone, failed so I just installed a fresh build of Windows thinking that since my father had already bought the full Windows 10 suite that it'd be no problem to get him set back up with all his apps and logins. Wrong. When I called into tech support, they wouldn't even allow me to talk to someone who could help me with my problem until I paid them $80! Which the rep at first told me (or at least I think that's what I heard and repeated back to him) was only $30, then he put the totals up on the screen, after I'd given him my card information, and lo and behold it was $80...

I hesitated, not wanting to do this, but when I said that I wanted to see if I could go at this from a different direction, he said that I'd already said yes, which I didn't, and the payment had already gone through. Dirty pool... Then I get over to the "tech" who isn't in fact able to help me, at all, in any way because the receipt that I have for purchase won't work. So I just paid $80 FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Microsoft literally just stole $80 from us... WTF???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: May 19, 2018

Windows 10 update on 5/18 rendered my Surface Pro 4 useless (no touchscreen/touchpad capability however keyboard still works). After hours on the phone with Microsoft tech they gave me an option of buying a replacement for 450 dollars for this problem that was "triggered" aka caused by their update. Before the update the computer was working with no issue at all. Why is it that I should have to purchase a replacement for them destroying my property? Never buying from Microsoft again.

Original review: May 19, 2018

So once again I have problems with Windows 10 and their constant updates required to fix issues that should have never been released in the first place. Update 1803 when it installed on May 11, 2018 rendered my laptop inoperable and has to date required 60 hours of useless Indian support that has not resolved my issues. Done with Microsoft and its Windows products, poor customer service and unresponsive executives. Moving on to MAC. Microsoft and looking at you in my rear view mirror.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Since Windows 365 was installed I have had nothing but problems with updates and Defender. If I am notified of an update, whether I leave it to update automatically or click update I am then told you couldn’t finish installing. I have had some prompts at shut down to reinstall which I have done but again am advised you couldn’t finish installing. With Defender, tonight I have had three messages to advise I am not secure, but no matter what I do I get a security acceptance am then advised I am not secure. I’ve tried Troubleshooter and everything else but nothing seems to work. As I am paying for 365 yearly. Now I expect some decent service.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My Microsoft Surface Pro was stolen over 45 days ago. Since then I have gone in circles with Microsoft trying to recover my hijacked 20 year old Microsoft email account. I have multiple police reports and FTC ID theft report to back my claim. The ticket system cannot verify my identity and I cannot get anyone at Microsoft to help me. I went online to chat with a Microsoft service rep and explained my situation again, and they gave me a number to call. The number was for Microsoft campus security!!! I cannot even get Microsoft to respond to open tickets I had in the past! I am a paying customer! I have Microsoft 365 subscription and I was using a Microsoft computer! The email account was a paid dial-up account from the 1990's! Why is MICROSOFT treating a victim of multiple crimes like a criminal? I want my account back!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 device January 2017. Experience with Microsoft has been a travesty. Disgraceful customer service. Delays, procrastination and a steadfast refusal to refund. Will NEVER use this company again! Device had multiple issues that got rapidly and consistently worse. Replacement sent. Obvious refurbished device needed multiple updates, errors and further issues from the outset. Due to Microsoft delays sending it I was unable to send back immediately. Second replacement device finally sent after yet more delays from Microsoft. Device finally arrived. Don't want to touch as this has now been ongoing issues and has such a negative thing in my life for 15 MONTHS, has had three significant updates in the two week since (May 2018), pen not fully working. To my surprise two weeks later been charged $190 for an 'In Warranty Advanced Exchange'.

Absolutely NO way to dispute in the four days since as emails going unanswered, phone calls keep being put on hold then hung up on while transferred to other departments. My experience has been beyond a joke, an absolute disaster. Never wish to use another Microsoft device again or deal with this business in ANY way shape or form. Disgraceful and disgusting. I feel completely ripped off and that my $1800 is money in the drain. Please consider not supporting this business unless you want to be mistreated, used and abandoned.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is the worst program (Excel 2013) if you ever need any help opening up large files. They wanted to charge me 400.00 to walk me thru on how to open the large file. This is a ripoff. They are no help at all... I already spent a lot of money to get the program and they have no help online or thru the online chat. When I called them they informed me that they would have to have a technician call me back. Please people why can you not know the product that you are selling and give someone assistance without charging an arm and a leg. If I could give 0 stars I would but 1 is what I have... Microsoft is a ripoff. FOR GOD SAKES I HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION ON HOW TO OPEN UP A LARGE FILE. WILL NEVER PURCHASE MICROSOFT AGAIN.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Purchased a Surface Laptop July 2018 - constant issues with RAM after 3 months of having the computer it would turn off and freeze. I took to Microsoft and they fixed the issue (which is not convenient since the closest store is 2 hours away and they had to keep for 3 days - it's my work computer). 5 months later same thing. This time they forced me to pay for a year support subscription to repair the problem for $250 (discounted to $199) because I complained so much! Telling to me to call monthly so they can check the computer.

I have always had Mac and NEVER have I had these issues with a computer let alone a new computer. My oldest Mac is 5 years old and still functions. I bought a PC due to the ease with documents. I'm a real estate agent. I found my PC at work to be easier to work on than my Mac. Never again. This computer was $1200 and now I have to pay $250 every year to fix it?! What non-sense. I will never purchase a Microsoft computer or product if I can avoid it!

Original review: April 24, 2018

The first four customer service reps I could not even understand their English (from India and somewhere else). I was then transferred to the Philippines so at least I could understand. She was great and on the line with me for hours. But she said that my account had been switched to another email address. How did that happen? So now, I find out that my account was not switched to another email address -- that account actually belongs to someone else. So my account still does not show my subscription. I just got off the phone with another Philippine rep who would not listen -- he continually interrupted me as I tried to explain the problem.

So finally, after, an hour, I told him that I needed to speak with someone else -- he was just not understanding the problem, so I asked him to transfer me. Instead, he hung up on me! No wonder Apple is the Mercedes of computers -- it's their customer service! Microsoft is horrible. I paid for Office 365 in 2016 and it was fine for about a year. It is good until 2020 except that everyone else can access it except for me! And no one at Microsoft seems to know what to do to help. I have now been on hold again this entire time waiting for the next rep. Long enough to Google ratings, sign-in, and write all this. Still on hold...

Original review: April 20, 2018

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 stopped working unexpectedly. Was informed by support that it could not be repaired. Since it's out of warranty they could replace it once they received my non-working unit. Ship them the unit, they were supposed to send replacement within 48 hours. 5 days later no replacement is yet shipped. They have had my unit for 5 days and my money a week earlier than that. 2 hours on the phone and one on the website trying to reach a live agent. Finally reach an agent who cannot tell me why it has been delayed or when it will be shipped. Worst customer support experience of my life. And that is saying something.

Original review: April 17, 2018

One the most pathetic phone support that I have ever had in my professional career. Genuine licenses are not being verified online, phone calls not being answered with a claim that all agents are busy- now almost for 1 hour. If they can't evaluate their own service center then how on earth they can give support? Why can't they add more staff especially when they are making so much money? What could be more unprofessional than that. With this approach, people will start getting rid of Microsoft very soon. My 2 cent suggestion, if you can, avoid investing into Microsoft products.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I have had OneDrive storage now for years. This month I paid for the OneDrive+100 like always and instead my account now shows 5 gigs of storage and they will freeze my account soon. I have the receipt showing I paid for ONEDRIVE+100 for $1.99. It did not say 5 gigs. Customer support would not help me out. Beware of Microsoft's shady business practices.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Microsoft effectively bullied me into having to purchase the updated versions of their software (barred me from using any of the features in Microsoft word, locked me out of my Skype etc) and when I went to buy the updated version, I found out that I can't sign into my bloody account. I tried to update the email and accidentally typoed and now I can't access the account because it keeps saying 'You've already changed it, please wait'. I tried to contact the staff for help, but so far all I've gotten were clueless bots that utterly failed to even remotely grasp my issue and literally had to be told multiple times to put me on with an actual person. I'm currently in a queue waiting to hear from someone but I sincerely doubt I'll get anywhere before I have to go to work. Microsoft is terrible and never ceases to make things worse each time they apply an update to their products.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I am stuck with Windows system. This company has no new ideas, has issues with operating systems and come up with dumb updates like every month. One time Microsoft forced me to update, and I had no choice. When I let it go ahead it got stuck in the middle and never recovered. I could not start my computer and Microsoft help desk could not either. I lost all my files, and even they could not help me to recover from OneDrive.

Original review: April 2, 2018

So I bought the brand new Surface Book 2 just as it came out this past December. Long story short, I've been in constant contact with chat support because of various and ongoing issues. The most prevalent, constant blue screens. They there while working on projects, browsing facebook, just turning the device on and, if the Surface Book hears you talking about it negatively in the other room like it did the day my wife was having feels over my frustrations with the device. Worst comes to worst when I've had enough, this after a tech tried to fix the blue screens a month before, and I call and demand a refund. Eventually, they agree to this. Without needing to bring in a novel of fun interactions over the next eight days, I eventually get told they meant no. I'm offered a refurbished laptop in place of my brand new one and only after complaining do they then offer a brand new laptop.

Each call is made by myself, never Microsoft and never am I contacted by Microsoft to see if the resolve is helping me deal with my situation. Eventually the wife tells me she's off to visit her parents for the weekend and will be happy to take a detour to a Microsoft store to trade in the laptop. I call the help desk, they say, "Yeah that can happen," and set up the appointment on Friday. It turns into Saturday, she's off. Saturday evening, she unknowingly gets a quiet email from the store tech? Supervisor? Manager? That unfortunately the store will be closed on Sunday and if she wants to, call back Monday and they'll reschedule. No call, just a quiet email that evening.

So she's now basically wasted half her trip. I'm still waiting for a replacement, and Microsoft could give two flying flips. Contacted them today to resolve, was on hold for seven minutes, get told I'm in the wrong department and transferred, fella gives me one hell of a sarcastic and loud, "Have a NICE DAY!!!!" And puts me in transfer. Five minutes later I hang up.

I have had two horrible customer experiences in my entire 41 years of life. The first one was resolved, was call by the company and had a conversation to ensure it didn't happen again. The second has been the ten days of being ignored, transferred, put on hold, and laughed at by a company that couldn't give a damn about you, their product, or anything else after you've given them your money. Going back to Apple, Mac, iPad, whatever I have to in order to ensure that Microsoft never again gets a dime from me. 2600, that's how much I paid for them to pound away at my butt. Sorry, just a little salty here.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I just bought a Dell AIO with all the bells and whistles for working with design and photography, it's a nice machine other than the pathetic Windows 10 1709 install that has plagued me since day one. Contacted Microsoft 3 times with three uneducated answers resulting in 3 unsuccessful reboots. One of them tried to reset Windows to version 1703, forgetting that you cannot stop automatic downloads. There are as many "fixes" on the internet as complaints, none of which I would actually trust. So, after a week of delayed work and missed deadlines, I finally took the computer back to Staples to have them look at it. The tech, who happens to be a neighbor of mine said she'd be rich if she had a dollar for every computer brought in for this problem. Her only solution was to set the update timing for early morning when I'm not working which is only a patch. So, what recourse does anyone have? I suppose I could file a complaint with the BBB, we'll see...

Original review: March 22, 2018

Bought 2 laptops. Two different brands. BOTH crashed during initial set up. The only thing in common? Both had Microsoft 10 pre-installed. It was during this initialization boot up/setup they crash. PC comes back up with a "just a moment" never ending spinning circle. It's now been spinning for an hour. Re-booting again does nothing to resolve the issue. Just a circle spinning saying, just a moment. How long is moment? HP and Dell should re-think pre-installing Microsoft Windows 10 on their good products. I've spent $1500.00 to stare at a useless blue screen with a spinning circle that cannot differentiate between a moment and an hour.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Microsoft word is a good product and I have been happy to pay for the product and replace when I get a new PC. I only use this once or twice a year which does not justify a monthly charge. I cancelled the product online and it showed that I would receive a refund in a couple of days, instead I was charged again the following month. It is now 6 months later and I still haven’t received a refund. It’s not just about the money, more about the principle. I would be happy to pay a one off price to keep the product and use when and if needed. Large companies with a good name then get greedy and feel that it is their right to offer a poor service because they can get away with it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

For the past several months working on my computer has been a struggle as Microsoft/Windows (Windows 10) constantly interrupts my business work with a need to update settings. They ask me to pick a time, as this will sometimes take a long time. In fact, they will come right into my project with these interruptions leaving me no choice but to select a time. These so-called updatings take several hours, and never have I been told that it's okay to restart or that updating of settings is complete.

When I complain, which is often their answers are unsatisfactory, showing me how I can do these updatings myself, which is something that they're supposed to be doing. This (today) is the 5th time this week that I've been told to pick a time that I want updating of settings to take place. There is something not right about or with Microsoft, and it doesn't feel justifiable or legal. This is an interruption of my services, and I'm not the only complaining. When is something going to be done about it? Thank you.

Original review: March 16, 2018

The worst customer service I have ever come across. After waiting for an hour to speak to someone I was told it was the end of his shift and he put the phone down on me! After calling back to speak to another consultant, one of my queries could be answered. Absolutely shocking. If I could give less than one star I would.

Original review: March 16, 2018

My trust in Microsoft has completely diminished since the Creator's Update. I have had one computer crash, when using Microsoft's recovery tool the computer is now in a loop of constant recovery. My 9-year-old's, 3 year old Lenovo computer will not play his paid for Steam games when the Creator update is in place. Steam was no help and Microsoft? I set up a call with Microsoft and was grateful to give my telephone number in case we were disconnected. While talking to the Tech, (who had no more information other than what I saw online), asked me to hold to see if he could find out anything more, I was then disconnected.

I never received a callback and I could not get through on the number I was called from. Now a 4-year-old gamer computer's hard drive is going, the code came up right after a Cumulative Update KB4074588 was installed. Coincidence? Maybe, but I am unable to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt especially with all the warning and error codes that appeared when the Creator’s update was forced on my computer. The new codes are endless. I have another choice I know, Apple. I like Apple computers, but I cannot install previously bought and much used software on the Mac. So, it leaves me stuck with Microsoft.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I did NOT choose Windows or Microsoft products! My laptop came with Windows already installed. Failed update after failed update, I set my laptop to NOT receive any more automatic updates from Windows. It did the update twice anyway, at first a restore solved the glitch. A THIRD update installed without my permission, and I had to do a refresh. I lost all Windows apps. Microsoft would not refund the money I spent on a two year Word subscription to re-purchase the apps. They also had the audacity to say it was 'my choice' by subscribing to their product, regardless of performance outcome.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Microsoft Corporation is a bunch of thieves!!! I was told my card number was no longer in their system but I've been charged almost 300 and lied to again and again about my refund! I will never buy anything associated with this company.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I don't even want to give one star to Microsoft. I was trying to get help with downloading a program that I purchased online, because I have been a Microsoft user for many, many years. Instead I got this yayhoo named Naveen, that I stupidly gave control of my computer, tell me that I had 195 problems wrong with my laptop and that it would cost me 249.99 dollars to fix it. I am sooo sick and tired of dishonest people that should be helping with the software that I just purchased, instead of trying to sell me more expensive software. And I am sick of the companies outsourcing to people who have thick accents, that live in a foreign country!

Microsoft is not the only company that I have had this problem with, BUT I am very shocked that I would be experiencing this with them. What the ** is wrong with these business, these idiots that they have working with them. I am tired of greed, I am tired of dishonest people. I will be looking into other computer software, because I do not want to deal with the dishonest idiots at Microsoft any longer.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Let me just start by saying I have loved, and only used Microsoft products for years. I have not really had any major issues. However, after the past two days trying to resolve the same issue that has plagued my last 48 hours. I will never purchase Microsoft again. Apparently, when Windows 10 decides to update, you have no choice in the matter and if Windows somehow makes your touchpad on your laptop completely stop working, this type of problem is not something Microsoft technicians can easily fix. So, I have lost 2 days of work dedicating my time to hanging on the phone with these techs for HOURS.

Yesterday after the first two techs and my whole day wasted, the problem was finally fixed and my mouse/touchpad was finally working again. Mind you, this was from 8 am to 4:30 PM yesterday. I use this laptop (just over 1 year new Asus) for work purposes. I have never had an issue until this update and the techs are chasing their tails! I honestly feel bad for them getting the brunt of my frustration, because 2 of the 3 were actually pretty nice but something has to give. The second guy even told me he thought it was an ASUS problem because I was "missing drivers." I called Asus and they checked I am not missing drivers. This is ridiculous and now I am behind with work because of a mouse/touchpad driver update, that Microsoft initiated!

Here it is the following day, the mouse/touchpad worked for the first 2 hours of the day. I left to tend to something else, came back and the stupid thing isn't working AGAIN. So what do I do? I call Microsoft customer service again. For HOURS this third tech tries all kinds of stuff and still can't fix it, gets off the phone with me and tells me to call back if the issue isn't resolved after the computer restarts. Like I really want to call YOU back, wait in line for someone to answer and have to explain things over again.

By pure chance I guess, I get the same guy when I called back the second time, he then tells me he is "escalating" the case to technicians with more knowledge on the issue, but they won't be able to fix anything until tomorrow or Monday. So Microsoft means to tell me they have already robbed me of 2 whole days and now making me wait until tomorrow or 3 days additional to fix a problem they created! I am to say the least very disappointed in this company and will tell everyone I know of the issues they have created and then failed to fix on my new computer.

Original review: March 9, 2018 The worst customer service I have ever contacted. I didn't expected such a low level of support from a famous company. Does that mean that Microsoft in decline? Absolutely unhelpful and unprofessional. They mess me around for almost one month not able to solve my issue which is pretty simple - I can't redeem my Microsoft reward point for reward I choose, something is blocked in my account. Just keep sending me the same email template which their colleagues already sent me weeks ago. I would never buy anything from Microsoft anymore and wouldn't recommend to my friends. If you need technical help you might not to get it.

Microsoft, what is going on??

Microsoft Company Information