2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5
Based on 1,584 ratings submitted in the last year

Microsoft Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2020

Windows Security works just fine for me. I've seen no need to use a different product. All the research that I've done over the years validates my decision. At one time or another in the past, I have used a variety of other applications. They all did the job reasonably well.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Does the job of protecting my laptop against viruses. Windows Defender has a good set of options for security, from antivirus scans and ransomware all the way down to parental controls. The only caveat is that Windows Defender is highly cloud dependent for malware detection and probably isn’t up to the job if your PC spends a good amount of time disconnected from the internet.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2020

It's a good antivirus that will not bog down your computer. If you suspect an infection by really bad or nasty virus then I would just run a Trend Micro Scan and Bit Defender Scan. Though those other products may be a little better they tax your system's resources that I deem unacceptable for daily use.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I used many different anti-virus programs over the years. Some were free. Some were not. Some were very complicated and others simpler. Some slowed down the computer(s) I was using. Now I use a VPN and I keep my Windows updated. I schedule scans regularly. I avoid many websites. I shop online carefully. I used heavily encrypted passwords for everything. I scan for malware weekly at least. Windows Defender has been very good so far.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

After a Windows 10 update today, my search feature stopped working. When Microsoft virtual support failed to resolve my issue, I opted for a return call from a technician. I missed the first return call, but support called again. Bhanu ** was extremely patient and helpful. I gave him access to my screen and he solved the problem in approximately 30 minutes. A few years ago, I didn't get this kind of support, so I was EXTREMELY happy to see how efficient customer support is now, or at least with this employee.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: May 19, 2020

The worst unprofessional experience anyone can ever have! They would always transfer you, and telling you to hold, ask for your call back number, and then hang you up callously. Other times, they'll tell you that you called the wrong extension, and would transfer you again, and again, again, till they'll hang you up, or worst transfer to an extension nobody would ever answer.

Saddest experience in my lifetime. This is the 3rd time in 2 years Surface laptop would die or malfunction in my hand, and getting a replacement would be a terrifying nightmare. You'll ever regret encountering Microsoft ONLINE customer service. Avoid them as you would avoid coronavirus. You would regret your life dealing with them, you'll spend UNTOLD hours on phone, all futile. If they keep a hold on your credit card to ship you a replacement, it would take God's grace, tens and tens of hours of futile phone calls, and months of painful waiting to get back your money. Worst customer experience in my 40+_ life on earth. Rating is minus zero.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I purchased my laptop and was very happy with it, everything worked great and I had absolutely no issues until I upgraded to Windows 10. I live in a rural area and I have to use a hotspot for my internet. I also do not have unlimited data and the data I have is shared between two phones and my hotspot. Unlimited data does not work where I live because once you reach 22gb they slow down your internet and being so rural that means basically my computer does nothing but spin and I can't load pages so I have to keep the package I have in order to have a strong enough signal to make my computer load the pages.

With Windows 10 you can pick a time frame during a 24 hour period for your updates but you can not stop the updates, you have no control over updates not being downloaded until a time that works for you period! This cost me money, it causes me to go over on my data. I can take my laptop to work and use WiFi and it does not use my personal data but rarely am I able to do that before Windows goes ahead and updates it anyway since I normally do not know when an update is in the works. In addition to this issue I prefer to pick what browser I use and I don't want Bing, I get everything set up the way I want and very often the next update will change my browser back to Bing and they set to load on startup.

I have a busy life and use my computer mainly to pay bills, it's very frustrating when you had everything set up the way you prefer and when you start your computer Windows has change your startup and your browser and you have to take the time to go and reset everything and since they keep changing "everything" it's not always easy to find how to remove Bing from your startup and to remove it as your default browser. They also push the Microsoft Edge and continue putting it on my startup as well, something else that I do not want.

In other words if you're ok with them taking control away from you with what browser you want as a default and what is on your startup and if you have unlimited data this may not be an issue for you but for me it's a big issue. I have written them multiple times about this and nothing has changed. All I have gotten was how to remove Bing and Edge from my startup however a update or few later it's back. Recently my husband bought a new laptop and because of price he had to get one with Windows 10, we hoped maybe they had changed some of the issues that I don't care for but he's having the same problems.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I bought a Surface Pro, Keyboard, and Stylus on April 16th. Spent $1500 at the Microsoft store and received my Keyboard and Stylus within 2 business days like they advertise. However, tomorrow is May and I still have not received my device. I've called everyday for the last 8 days in a row to resolve this issue. They will not let me cancel my order nor will they ship my device. It's been escalated to the Billing Dept for 8 days and they keep saying to please wait another 24 hours....day after day after day. They ensured me 4 times now the issue has been resolved and the device is in the mail but cannot provide tracking or a reference number. I had no other choice but to file a police report for fraud so my bank could release the hold from Microsoft to get my money back. Still waiting to receive my money back. Returned the Keyboard and Stylus since they was useless without the device itself.

According to wonderful Microsoft I will not have my money returned until May 8th. To summarize I spent a fortune with Microsoft and never received my computer. Had to return the accessories and will not have any of the $1500 I spent back until May 8th at the earliest...Almost one month after trying to purchase a computer from them and had to file a police report since Microsoft absolutely refuses to cancel or provide the computer that's needed for my child's school. Buy from anyone other than Microsoft. I could have had a computer weeks and weeks ago if I would have bought something from Amazon, HP, Dell, Apple, or anyone other than awful Microsoft.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Obviously Bill Gates is spending all his time, effort and money on his worldwide vaccine program because he isn't paying any attention or spending any of his billions on fixing any of Microsoft's support issues. Can't believe how hard it is to get any support when what you purchased doesn't work and you need tech support. Chat function doesn't work and is just frozen. Sitting on hold forever, if you're lucky enough to actually find a number to call. Tells you as a business customer were to sign into your account online and then click on a popup for help to have someone call you back and there is no popup window.

Purchase something and they transfer you to tech to set it up and give you a number to call in case you get disconnected and, of course, after waiting for 30 mins on hold I get disconnected and when I call the number and wait another 20 minutes I get someone who can barely speak English, interrupts me all the time when I'm trying to tell him how to find my account and then he can't even find my account. Has to call me back once then says he will call me back again and it's already been over 20 minutes. WTF!!!! How does a big company like Microsoft get away with such disgraceful tech support?

Original review: April 16, 2020

What’s the point of have a tech service that doesn’t actually repair anything on your computer. The worst part is they want you to pay them when you already paid that for the dumb product. It’s insulting. There is no way that they think it’s a great idea to have something that doesn’t work because it’s broken and instead of just keep putting it out actually making something that works.

Microsoft Company Information