2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 1,211 ratings submitted in the last year

Microsoft Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

In Feb 2017 I purchased the Surface Pro 4. In May 2017 it stopped working suddenly. I sent it in for a replacement. It was still under warranty, so no problem. This past December 2019 the 2nd Surface Pro 4 would not power on. I tried everything recommended. Nothing worked. I called the Microsoft Help line for assistance. Because it’s out of warranty, the only “fix” they can recommend is for me to buy a new Surface! I paid $800 for this Surface! I would expect that it would last for more than 3 years! I believe that this a sub-standard product. I’ve read many many reviews about the issues it’s had. It’s hard to believe that a company as successful as Microsoft would not stand behind their product. The right thing to do is either fix it or provide another one. These were not options for me.

I have tried talking to several different people over the past week. No one is available to speak to here in the U.S. BTW! I just want to make as many people as I can aware of the way Microsoft does business. I plan to file a complaint w/ the Better Business Bureau. And post this on as many sites that I can think of. I’m sure that Microsoft doesn’t care, but I care! And I would never ever buy another Microsoft product. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I joined Microsoft Rewards and spent months collecting points towards the $5 Amazon gift card. I finally got the required number of points and went to redeem my gift card. I was sent the wrong gift card because Microsoft decided to take away the Amazon gift card option and changed my goal to a Microsoft gift card without my knowledge. I contacted support and asked them to fix the issue, but they basically told me I was screwed and refused to exchange the gift card or refund my points. Microsoft Rewards is a terrible program and I would not recommend it to anyone.

What's the point of using Bing and collecting rewards points if Microsoft is just going to take away the prize you want to redeem for and send you a useless gift card you don't want in its place? Microsoft has awful customer service. They should treat their Rewards Program members better. I will be deleting my Microsoft account and discontinuing use of the Bing search engine as a result. Bing is vastly inferior to Google and without getting compensated for using it, it is intolerable and not worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Bought Windows 10 home from Microsoft online and it was not able to be activated on my computer so asked for refund. After calling several times, being told I could get a refund but they wanted to try tech support, who didn't speak English well, could not fix problem then hung up on me several times. I ended up calling again for the refund I was told I could get and was told they could not give refund even though the product was never downloaded. Never again with online microsoft and will avoid all their products in future.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I have a new Lenovo computer that has been having issues with Windows 10 - display drivers dropping out, etc. I have gone through the chat, where they were unable to help. Then they directed me to the phone service [from the accent I would gather in India]. The first two calls dropped after a minute or two and nothing was done, except a code was created. The next two agents were able to stay on and get into my computer, but were unable to solve the problem, so they directed me to the level 2 service.

However, a week later, both times when the level 2 has attempted to call, the call dropped after one ring - I was never able to answer it and they immediately went to voice mail saying I was unavailable, when I was sitting right there at my computer all day waiting for them to call. They did not try to call right back until someone answered. The emails sent after that said to call support and give them the code, but I was unable to call back to that number or get anyone on the phone from Microsoft as the call support numbers only led me to an automated system.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I had a small problem with MS Word. My Smart LookUp stopped working. Luis who did not give me a case number had me log out of my Microsoft account but insisted I log back in with the same email and password. This effectively wiped my computer clean of all files. Then he put me on hold for 45 minutes. When I called Microsoft back the guy from India said nothing could be done. Microsoft should not provide tech support if they don't know what they are doing. A total nightmare! I plan on writing 365 negative reviews of this horrible company -- one for each day to remind them of their Office 365 "Tech support horrors."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I have a Surface Book 2 that I bought 1 year and 3 months ago. This Laptop has rarely been used until the last 3 months. For the the past month I unfortunately have been experiencing very slow performance on this "almost unused laptop". I am exhausted of having to deal customer support for the PAST 3 WEEKS now, I have spent hours of my valuable time allowing them to try to fix my laptop because they refuse to replace it. I have bought an accessory which customer support said that it might fix the issue, well it never did fix anything and I had to spend more money and time on my end, for nothing. Supervisor refused to replace my computer because the warranty had expired 2 months ago after I submitted a request ticket to Microsoft. The customer support I have received from them is unacceptable, and unprofessional.

Reports were ran by Microsoft stating the Laptop was rarely used, it was never damage or dropped, and to add, this is actually a factory defect from Microsoft and customer support is now telling me they cannot do anything about it, just because I'm over 2 months my warranty? This is not the right way to treat your customers. I am emailing you to ask if you can please escalate this claim. I am tired of having to deal with support and I have a laptop that is malfunctioned as we speak after paying close to $1,500.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Microsoft Surface Laptop repair. This is the worst company product in the world. because they have no any option for laptop repair out of warranty. This is my bad experience in laptop. I bought first time this laptop. My laptop got hardware problem. Then I went to the Microsoft store. Then they told they cannot any repair. I have to buy another same one $699. Why people need buy another one for small repair. Like this situation they need to give 5 years warranty. This is the sucks product in the world. I am not recommend anyone to buy this product. Except this product other every company have repair. I am so disappoint this problem. I waste my time and money. Any one need waste money buy microsoft product.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I’ve always been an Apple product user but when the Surface Pro 4 came out, I decided to switch because I was starting school again and liked the idea of a computer and tablet in one. I purchased it about 3 years ago when it was a little over $1000. Not having owned it for a year, I had the display give out on me where it kept flickering. Luckily it was still under warranty and I got a replacement. A little less than 2 years into this replacement, I have the exact same issue happen along with the type cover not being detected. Turns out that this is a common issue among all the Surface Pro 4’s. About 3 other of my classmates with Surface Pro 4’s all had the same issue with the screen too and all owning it for less than 2 years.

Since this was a known issue, Microsoft had a replacement program for this problem. They no longer make the Surface Pro 4’s so I was sent a refurbished one even though I told them I was hesitant about receiving a refurbished one because if this is a known issue, what’s to say it won’t happen again? In less than 2 months, my type cover is no longer detectable nor my Surface pen…kind of defeats the entire purpose of this product. I’ve given up on this and support has told me that there hasn’t been any known issues with the other Surface generations but I’ve had the worst luck with this.

It’s frustrating to me as a student with way too much debt that a $1000 computer can’t even last 3 years (I don’t even use heavy programming since its main purpose is for school). My Macbook Pro is more than 8 years old but yet it works better than this Surface Pro. I don’t plan on going back to Microsoft products. However, the support there has been amazing and trying to help me with all these issues so great on customer service. I could possibly be convinced just on the customer service alone to go back but Apple not only has great products that last long, but just as amazing customer service if not better.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I have been using a Windows 8 tablet since 2016 and viewed my emails using Mail and Calendar app. My problem started on Monday 9 December 2019 when the apps for Mail, Calendar and People (contacts) all stopped working. I tried to contact Microsoft Customer Service but only got an online automated system which was inadequate for resolving any form of complaint. No UK customer service exist and to speak to any human support would involve waiting several hours to wait for US to come online.

I did send the Microsoft CEO an email on the 13 December 2019 but haven't had any response whatsoever. The main Microsoft website only provide details and help on Windows 10. Also, I have found that my Windows 8 tablet has been removed from my Microsoft Account Devices list without any consulting with me. Microsoft seems to be able to only concentrate on one form of Windows OS at a time, namely Windows 10. They now seem to totally ignore any form of complaint from non-Windows 10 users. If, in the future, I decide to purchase a new tablet it will be a non-Windows tablet as I no longer have any trust in Microsoft or their products.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

If you are planning on buying a console or for that anything from the online Microsoft stores can I suggest not doing it, I ordered a all digital Xbox One S 1TB console and a special edition camo controller with charger stand. For a lil over 234 and change CAD for their Black Friday sale. Which seemed like a great deal and all until it passed the day the delivery was to be at my house. First of each part was shipped through a different couriers one console through FedEx and the controller and charger stand through UPS, now for the console was delivered by fedex to the wrong address in Kitchener and coz it states it's been delivered.

The customer service team can't seem to help me whatsoever and states that I have to contact fedex to rectify said hiccup, then the controller and stand from UPS is stuck somewhere in the states which microsoft again tells me that I have to contact UPS to rectify said problem as well. But UPS won't tell me anything aside from it's somewhere in the United States and usually hangs up. fedex has stated that my console should be picked up for Monday December 9th even though it was to be at my house or residence no later than the 4th of December. My controller was to be at my residence between December 2nd and the 4th latest. microsoft has no contemplation of what customer satisfaction means or is for that matter. I get better help from wish.com than I am getting from fedex UPS or microsoft whom I placed my order with to begin with.

So again you want something from microsoft that you must have go into a store an do it in person as to get your item then and there, as anything online is just one massive hassle and crazy stress trying to figure out what the hell is going on. As I have been a avid Xbox One gamer over a decade of constantly have a live connection. Means jack all to them it would appear. And if I could I would get a refund but due to me not having my console or controller for that I can't even get my refund so that I can just switch to a damn PS4 or even a Nintendo switch. As both of them are way more reliable than microsoft.

I am not too sure when or what has happened to microsoft and the way they are running things but its absolutely ** now and I do not recommend anyone get anything from microsoft online at all anymore. Make it so their online stores and online live chats for help have to shut down and reevaluate how they do things and how they accomplish customer requests all together. If I could I would add the massive screenshot I got of the live chat I had with a microsoft rep. Where I was constantly talking he was barely saying anything to me but the same old ** I have heard way too many times in the last 4 days from their team members, and the biggest part is they don't know how to do their jobs whatsoever. The screenshot I have is about 7 to 9 pages long.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Microsoft Company Information