1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

934 Microsoft Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have been a loyal Microsoft customer for thirty years, spending many thousands of dollars on its products, as well as a Windows Insider, beta-testing its products for free. I recently bought Microsoft’s Office 2019 for the full price. A couple of months later it turned to be identical with Office 2016, which I had also paid for. Microsoft adamantly refuses to refund my payment or to exchange the product for its Office 365, claiming that over one month has passed since my purchase. My messages to its management team have been ignored.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I originally went to renew my basic Home Microsoft in late October of last year. I tried several times to download and it wasn't working. After the email attempts went unanswered, I finally called in November. The tech rep said that I had to go the next level up as I had gotten an new computer. He said, "Don't you worry, you will most assuredly get a refund." The rep tried very hard to upsell me on a pricier version of what I was going to get which I would never have to renew. I advised that I was unable to do that at the time. There was never any case number given to me and I did not know to ask for one.

In February I ended up getting that next level up Microsoft program. There was no discount of the 69.99 I originally spent. I provided my cc for the 125.00. I recently called customer service and was told since it was passed the thirty days with no case number, they could not do anything. I escalated the call and got the same answer only with a case number. Microsoft originally made the mistake in being too busy trying to upsell me instead of providing a case number for a refund. I am clearly paying the price for their error. They suggested I go through my bank for help. Microsoft should have taken ownership, not my bank.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 17, 2019

On Monday March 11th, my computer did a Windows critical update and it crashed my computer. So far no luck on restoring the computer or files. My Father just passed away and I had photos of his Military funeral on my computer. Tech guy is not sure if he can recover them. Heartbreaking???

Original review: March 16, 2019

I believe I have contacted this company about three times about the same issue. Twice by phone and I believe once through their chat service. First contact was sometime in 2017, after I purchased the Surface Pro at the end of 2016. A portion of my screen wasn't working by touch nor with the pen. I was only able to use my keyboard or I had to turn the screen around to touch that part of the screen. I called after troubleshooting myself and was told to do the same thing. I had also informed the representative that there wasn't a store near me and she verified that the closest store was three hours away, which I wouldn't drive that far for someone to tell me what I already knew, which something was wrong with the actual hardware.

I called the other day to get help because there are even more issues. I haven't had it that long and after paying $900 I think they should've replaced it when I first called about the issue because several other consumers have had the exact same issue. I also have some weird cloudy images at the bottom of my screen, which I had told the representative back then. The issue is that when I called a few days ago I was told they can replace it if I pay another $400, which isn't right. They made a faulty product and I would never invest any more money in a product that several other people have had issues with. I contacted the BBB and the company said the same thing. It seems like there's a script that they keep repeating regardless of the situation. If your warranty is expired that's all they care about, regardless if you called when it was still in effect.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was told what I had to do to get a refund for unauthorized purchases. I did it and was denied. I called, sent emails was given the runaround. I was told there was no reason I wouldn't get a full refund due to it being unauthorized. Still nothing but a runaround. Today an employee told me I was wasting my time with the emails and calls. I have over 400 dollars in unauthorized purchases on my card. I'm a single parent. I'm not a multi billion dollar company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: March 16, 2019

Microsoft should be legally forced and prevented from saying they have updates available. Instead forced to say we have downloads available that will screw up your computer and ** you off to no end as you try to fix what the download screws up. My wireless router nightmare is thanks to their latest "update".

Original review: March 14, 2019

Use Ubuntu. Learn it. You are better off. Use Linux operating system not Microsoft Windows 10 nor 365. They are spying on people. I have viable proof. I purchased a full version of Windows 10 and my motherboard and professor went bad. The activation key does not work no more. 109.00 down the drain. No way. I log out of Microsoft. Next thing I'M logged in again. Three reps same thing. They need control of my I say my computer. That's a no no. Never let anyone screen share no one. The activation error comes up all the time. They are a bunch of thieves and very sneaky.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Liked the product until the batteries behind the screen expanded and pushed the screen forward. Now there is a 1/2" crack in the top of the screen between the monitor and the frame. Fear at this point this is likely a fire hazard.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Purchased a Surface Book 2 for 3 grand, has not been working out of the box. Contacted MS support from day one... It has been a nightmare. Their support does not care. Neither is there a escalation process. Stay away from MS hardware products. Their service is MICRO and their products SOFT. My case number is ** just to prove that this is a genuine case.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had called Microsoft because I use my computer for work. I have not had my laptop for a year yet and I noticed the keyboard area is staining so it looks very dirty and unprofessional. I decided to look some things up and I noticed that was one of the biggest complaints with the surface laptop... So let's get to my experience with them. I explain to them my issue and the one person that worked there said, "Yes we know about this but there is nothing we can do about it." I said, "Do you make a cover or something? I can put over it?" No... So I was like, "Can I talk to a supervisor?" and he said no. And I was like, "Are you serious? I cannot talk to a supervisor?" He said, "No you can't..." So this is the big money maker company that treats their customers like this. Oh and his name was Surender. Great job Microsoft for hiring the most caring and professional people. Well done.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I am a Mac User and after dealing with the Mac technical support, it's a nightmare dealing with Microsoft. I use Microsoft Office for Mac and called them for an error message that comes up every time I open word. They sent me from one department to another and was on the phone for 1 hour when I finally just hung up. They are TERRIBLE. Without getting to the point they go around in circles and it's a disgrace!!! So frustrated.

Original review: March 3, 2019

Cannot use basic functionality. The interface changes constantly, nothing works. This operating system functions more like a virus than any OS I've used. The help options were literally removed. Anyone wanna join a lawsuit?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Do not buy a Microsoft product, they are horrible! They refuse to reset your password and want you to pay 10.00 for them to unlock it even though you give all the right and proper answers!!! They are scammers!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This is my service request number: **. Technical support seemingly was reading out instructions from a script. They say they can only provide basic technical support and hence unable to solve my issue. This should not be a consumer’s concern that they are only able to resolve basic issues. They must be able to escalate up to a level sufficiently skilled to resolve any and all technical issues in relations to the Surface Pro. I would advise that if you are unable to find laptops on your own, don't put faith that you will get sufficient support with this warranty.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This is an MS Outlook tech comment/question or a “heads up” for anyone who might use Outlook 365, or who might have insights into such things. Maybe this is unique to my computer, but I can’t know that. I’ve used MS Outlook for years. Recently I moved from Outlook 10 (machine resident) to 365. One thing I’ve routinely done is to hit “reply”, type the reply, manually save the message numerous times during typing (even though I have it set to save automatically every 1 minute—from experience, I’m paranoid about losing my work!), and then come back later to open the file in the Drafts folder to finish and send it.

I’ve done this for years and have never had a problem with this. Until today. I spent two hours typing a reply to a discussion partner... and then another two hours trying to find out why Outlook 365 deleted my reply without a trace, even though I had saved it manually as described above. Gone! In the ensuing two hours, I discovered after multiple experiments, that most of the time, when I hit “Reply” to a message, office 365 is not actually saving that reply anywhere while I’m typing it, whether I manually save it or not. A “New Email”? Yes, it saves that to the drafts folder. But not always a “Reply” message. Sometimes it does. But not most of the time.

Even this message was not saved in the drafts folder despite multiple attempts to save it. It was “being saved” nowhere. Maybe yours works fine. Or maybe you might be Replying to messages without a net. I don’t know. (Yes, yes, I know. Get a Mac! Try Thunderbird! Quit sending email! It’s all Greek to me! Blah, blah, blah.) Caveat Emptor.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

What customer service? Had issues with 3+ hours on hold... Absolutely unacceptable from a company as big as Microsoft. Kept getting transferred to another class of individuals and no one could seem to fix my problem activating my Windows 8 and upgrading to Windows 10 after replacing my hard drive on my HP laptop. Still trying to resolve my problem... STILL ON HOLD!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I bought a laptop 1 year ago. Recently Microsoft did an upgrade. I cannot connect to internet, they lost my photos. I have called numerous times in the last 2 weeks even have a case #. Never got called back upon consistently being disconnected. So this morning upon finding another issue related to upgrade I cancelled all subscriptions and will sell my computer as they don’t care about the home user or people whom are not tech savvy. I can go to library for free! Good riddance Microsoft windows!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought a brand new version of Office Suite the day it came out last October, and the principal feature for which I bought it, macros, wasn't working though I'd been using it without problem in earlier version for almost three decades. After a week or two my new iMac began slowing down and shutting down randomly with things I'd done with Word, such as autocorrects disappearing.

I called Microsoft before the problems with the computer started and was first told that I had to pay for tech support even though the app had misfired from the day I installed it. Eventually, after several long go-arounds with several people I got Microsoft to connect me without charge to the macro experts who said I must be doing something wrong, but when I created macros following their instructions, the same thing happened and they said they'd call me back. They did after a couple of days and told me there was a problem with the app and that they'd work on it.

Meanwhile the problems I mentioned with my computer, a new iMac developed and I spent many hours on the phone with Apple. We finally narrowed the probable cause of the problems to the defective Office Suite and uninstalled it, after which the problems disappeared. I then called Microsoft and they asked me to reinstall the app and see what happened. The macros still didn't work and the unexplained shutdowns of the computer began again. When I called Microsoft again they bounced me around from one department to another - sometimes back and forth between two departments. And after many hours of discussion said they couldn't replace my Office Suite with a properly working version because I'd waited too long to request that. In other words, because I'd given them time to fix the problem, I was no longer entitled to a properly working version.

I also heard from a friend in Australia that they'd been having unsolved problems for three years with an Office Suite subscription. Altogether I spent something like 30 hours with Microsoft and Apple because of the defective Office Suite Microsoft had sold me and I had to write off the almost $130 I'd spent on the Office Suite because Microsoft wouldn't make good on its errors. Moral: steer clear of Microsoft wherever possible.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My experience was very tedious and slow. I tried to call to get help recovering an account, and simply to get to speak to someone, I had to call several times and eventually pick a different avenue that would cause them to put me through to someone, but even the call was frustrating. Their AI barely recognised the figures I was typing on my keypad to make choices within their menus, and the employees were less than helpful when I got through and regurgitated the same information. Also, prior to this poor experience, I had tried to get in contact with customer service via their virtual agent, and this couldn't even recognise my problem, or put me through to an actual agent to help solve the problem despite this being an option. Overall, hands down the worst customer service experience I've ever had. A complete waste of time.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

After recent update to Windows 10 my PC would not start on the first try, but would always boot on the second attempt. Called Microsoft support, Level One tech had me try several things which corrupted my Windows installation. Now my PC will not work at all. I was to receive a call from a Level 2 tech the next day during a two hour window, but never received a call. Now I have lost all my data and have a non-functioning PC. Thanks Microsoft for an damaging update and lousy support.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I logged in this morning to back up my computer but was locked out by MS because it sent down an April 2018 update (2018?) and it proceeded to wipe out everything on the computer - documents, downloads, Outlook, Desktop, personalized settings, you name it, it's gone. Didn't even have a choice on when to run it. It just locks up the computer and runs. Now I have to spend days redoing what I can and getting a separate support group to help me. Note to all: NEVER leave your computer ONLINE; always take it off so you can do your backups of important info without automatic updates killing your computer. All that Cortana does is track what you are doing so MS can sell your information. Find the settings and turn them off and MAYBE you might get some privacy from MS.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Bought Office. Had to get an 'Outlook' account (why?) Office didn't open. Called tech support. Multiple attempts to log in to Outlook account (by me) resulted in account being frozen. Can't access Office w/out busted email. Can't get a refund for non-functional Office w/out busted email. Can't get through to a human being. Can't get product linked to working email. Can't repair busted email. Every attempt to explain the situation to Account Recovery takes 24 hours (why?) (I'm on my 3rd attempt now). I have yet to speak to a person. I get automated forms to fill in, and automated responses sent back. Neither resolves the problem. So -- Microsoft pockets my money and leaves me with a product I can't access. If there was a lower rating than 'very dissatisfied' you can bet I'd use it.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I signed up to an account about 5 years ago and admit I had rushed through it which meant I just answered any ole answered to the questions. Recently my Twitter account was compromised and the security question was sent to the email address. When I tried to enter Microsoft locked me out. I had remembered 4 of the security questions and the password. But yet after several phones calls and emails, Microsoft still denied me my account back. I have proof of the emails sent from that account to various companies I was in contact with but still Microsoft has made it difficult and now has permanently locked my account. Which means Twitter will not allow me access without my code. I think Microsoft is deliberately targeting me and not allowing me to get back into Twitter. They are bullies and nasty individuals.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I signed up for a free trial to Xbox live and was charged three times within three days. I could only chat online with customer service and they sent me many links to go into to dispute and get a refund and to stop future charges, etc and none of the links would give me any help. I am so dissatisfied with them. I’m taking all of my information off the game system as soon as I can figure out how to do it. It’s all set up so people will get discouraged and not try to get their money back. If I ever do anything else with them it will be with a prepaid card with only the amount that am authorizing on it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Updated without my permission and now have no choice but to accept any updates regardless of the fact that the update lost all of my data. Their answer- "You can try data recovery." I reloaded all my documents, bookmarks, etc and 3 days in a row returned to lost data. Update didn’t load properly so can’t view photos plus reset all my iCloud settings to outlook. Switching to a Mac. You are going to lose many customers as a result of these changes.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have had my ACER since 2015. I have downloaded many paid cd's to listen too for my leisure. I had made a playlist of Christmas songs on Christmas day. The songs I selected will default to the Microsoft music store. I have emailed the technical department. No response to my inquiries. I have tried everything to remove the Microsoft store to avoid interruptions but can't be removed from my laptop.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

While in the SharePoint development phase, my global admin account started receiving an error message that prohibits me from having any access to my SharePoint site collection whatsoever. After 3 full business days with ZERO access, Microsoft has not diagnosed the problem or offered me a workaround or solution. In fact, they keep insisting that there is nothing wrong which is absolutely FALSE. At this point, I have created a brand new global admin user account - no access.

I have logged out/in, cleared cookies and cache, tried to use different web browsers, restarted my device, installed Windows updates, and even tried to access the site using both accounts on a Mac operating system. Still, the error persists. I committed to this product suite because of the 99.9% uptime guarantee - so much for that. Healthcare organizations, BEWARE! I do not have words to express how completely and utterly disgusted I am right now. Get it together Microsoft!!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I shut down computer. The windows 10 update locked my computer. Had to take for repair for $139. Screen said preparing for repair for over 24 hours but did nothing. Computer shop said he had seen 4 or 5 just this week. Fix this sorry system.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Outlook has the worst e-mail recovery system in the whole universe! Seriously even if the aliens would visit earth, they would kill us all as soon as they would learn how Microsoft Outlook processes a recovery of a 2 weeks old e-mail. I opened an Outlook account 2 maybe 3 weeks ago on my smartphone (Galaxy S9+) to get 100GB of One Drive for 1 year for free, which is awesome. Thumbs up for that. I never used my Outlook e-mail and never sent any mail to anyone, since I use a Gmail account for years. I wanted to log in in my outlook account to start making it more my primary e-mail etc. I forgot my password, but the WORST of all is that I CAN'T recover my outlook account. It asks question from an alternate e-mail address that I fully provided. I couldn't provide to whom I have sent any mail, because I DIDN'T send any mail. That's the reason why I cannot provide "enough information" about my account.

A support mail doesn't exist and the Customer Support is more ridiculous than the minions! If you are not from US, not only that they can't help you, but they don't know where your country is! I am waiting for a answer from any Microsoft supporter, it is not that hard to recover an e-mail. I personally work as a team-leader in a call-center for hosting customer support (IONOS - 1&1) and we would immediately contact the angry customer and fix his problem after a review like this!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I have created my Skype account in 2008 or 2009 or so because this was one of the first international communications channels available. Now I need to recover my account and it is impossible to do it - even the banks are much easier in this regard... I was and I am a 100% Apple user, so I do not use any other Microsoft products, so I do not have any track record with Microsoft for anything else. To make long story short, the original email I used to sign up does not exist anymore since that server has been shut down.

I had changed the password several times over the years and honestly I do not remember the latest one. I had Skype automatically logging in on my old computer and iPhone, but as I bought a second computer and iPhone I was forced to create a new account because I could not recover the old one. I have contacted Microsoft multiple times and they are not resolving the issue. Basically they locked me out of over 10 years of contacts and data. Am I the only one having this problem - should they be sued for the locking people up and "stealing" all the data? I appreciate security and due process but it is ridiculous.

Microsoft Company Information