3.36/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

2159 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 8, 2019

I've had this service for my mother for about 5 years and the price is great! I just got my landline a little bit ago and the price is great. No complaint yet. I am worried about their cell phone service. I would not pay that price for cell phone coverage. Anyway good landline service. You're kind screw if electricity goes out though.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Straight Talk served my purpose at the time. I always used it when I traveled. Clarity was fine. There was time when it was hard to hear. The help lines were foreign which was hard to understand. When I paid I set up automatic payments so I would not forget.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I've had Straight Talk for over 4 years now. I enjoy my service. I get good reception and service. I get the 55 dollar plan and I use a lot of data since I live in the country and don't have access to WIFI. The only problem is I need a new phone BAD and I can't get the smart pay plan to work. It says there was a problem loading or we can't process you at this time. I believe I have good standing with Straight Talk. I'm in the auto refill plan so I’m not late paying. I just don't get what the problem is?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have had Straight Talk for two years now, and I have NEVER had an issue! They ship phones overnight, have great service areas, and are no different than the more expensive carriers. I had Sprint and AT&T in the past. This is as good!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have always had an excellent customer service experience with Straight Talk. It's not perfect but it's way better than anyone else I've used. I tried using Verizon Prepaid to save some $$. Turns out that Verizon pre-paid uses different towers than Verizon post-paid and I had terrible service. Ironically Straight Talk is better service on Verizon than Verizon prepaid! Good luck reaching Cust. Svc with Verizon pre-paid. I love that I can have one account with Straight Talk and switch carriers as needed/desired - T-mobile, At&t, or Verizon. If I move, no establishing a new account, I can just switch. Thank you Straight Talk for shooting straight!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I enrolled for Auto pay before purchasing air time for my son’s phone a little while ago. I was quoted the discount price on the ‘preview’ screen where I was to list my credit card information for payment. Thinking I would be paying the amount quoted, I completed the payment transaction as was reflected ‘Auto Pay Enrolled’. However, I noticed shortly after the transaction was made, I was charged regular price. I first chatted with customer service who saw the error and referred me to call 1-867-6470 along with a PIN number to reference my account.

Upon calling this number, the customer service representative was very rude to me, and said I enrolled in auto pay after my payment, which is why I did not receive a discount. Ok, so how I would I know the discount price after taxes are applied? It’s only $5 I know, but he would not budge even after I told him the previous representative saw the error on THEIR end! Leaving a review is the only way I’m able to make it public for other potential and/or current Straight Talk customers to be aware of this matter. I have no complaints with the service itself, but customer service goes a long way!

I am a very well educated person that pays most of my bills online & makes purchases online frequently, so I do have some common sense. Obviously, I wouldn’t have made a stink if I would have even remotely thought I enrolled after making my payment! I feel insulted to be treated as if I don’t know what I’m talking about. I immediately unenrolled with auto pay, because after my son’s prepaid plan is over this month, I will be switching to a different prepaid phone provider. I would rather pay a little more each month to have quality customer service than to deal with this type of behavior!

Original review: June 18, 2019

My past few phones were purchased from this company. I’ve used them for several years & not had an issue until my phone died due to no reason (I use an Otterbox Defender case for extra protection on my phone & it is less than a year old). I tried to reactivate an old phone, which was also on my account from previous use with Straight Talk. The website wouldn’t allow me to reactivate my old phone, but instead said they could give me a deal on a new one. I’m struggling financially & can’t afford to buy a new phone. I purposely keep old phones as a backup for this reason. I have lost all respect & loyalty to this company. They are trying to force me to spend more money by claiming incompatibility. This is planned obsolescence and dishonest business practice.

Original review: June 16, 2019

DON'T PURCHASE ANY PHONES OR SERVICE FROM STRAIGHT TALK, you'll be sorry. It might be good in the beginning, but being a customer for 10 yrs they changed.. Poor customer service, poor service period!! They also took most of their service cards out of Walmart. The only cards that are available are the $30 and $55, left. You have to use a debit card to purchase time.. There are other plans and service providers. Also I can't even purchase time for my phone until I upgrade a new phone (purchase a new phone). Then they'll accept my payment. So take my advice, if you don't want interruptions or bad service, then don't go with Straight Talk.. Or find out for your self. GOODLUCK.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I have had Straight Talk for a few years now and have recently traveled out of state (Maine to Bridgeport, Pennsylvania). Somewhere along NY I have lost service. When I contacted customer service all they said was my phone was using a Verizon tower and I just simply won't have service. So I spend 7 days in PA with no way to use my phone unless I find Wi-Fi... This is ridiculous. Correct your map so people know what they are really getting. I'm considering using a different company.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I’ve had Straight Talk for several years. I have myself and my three kids on their service. Lately I’ve noticed my phone calls are dropped or unclear. What really upset me was paying auto pay and finding out my sons phone service was dropped. I called. Only transfer many times to different people who couldn’t communicate clearly. Then I was told his sim card didn’t match the phone and I would have to purchase a new one. It’s the same one that came with the phone almost two years ago and no matter what I said they treated me like I was lying.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I bought a phone from Straight Talk Wireless website because the phone was capable of being a hotspot. I could not get the hotspot to work? So I called the company. They said, "We don't do hotspots"? I just bought the phone from you ($100) just for the hotspot! They will not give me a refund on the phone! They will not unlock the phone so I can go to another carrier! They would do nothing! I say false advertising, among other. Now I am stuck with a brand new phone that I can't use!! Now to get the hotspot I have to buy another phone from the new carrier! I will never use this company again! I am spreading the word to the world about this crooked company! And to boycott the company! One Very angry customer???? I will be going to the Better Business Bureau for sure!

Original review: June 13, 2019

Straight Talk will not publish my feedback so here is what I said. Not happy, they lied to me, sent wrong or bad sim card, refuse to refund my money, said if I want replacement I will have to buy a new sim card.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have been with Straight Talk for 6 years now and I have never had all these problems that have been occurring in the last 2 years. Three days ago I purchased a new phone Straight Talk phone from Walmart and call customer service to transfer my current number to my new phone. I was told my transfer was complete. Two days later I noticed I wasn't receiving any calls or texts. I called my sister and she said, "Oh hey I didn't know you changed your number!" What? These people changed my number without my permission or consent! When I called the lady said, "Oh I'm sorry. Let me change your number back!" I stayed calm. She said it will change back in 24 hours! The new day no changes!

I called back and same thing same process! 24 hours no changes. I get connected to a manager and I asked him why was my number even changed! He says, "Oh I can't give you your old number so I'm going to give you back the new number!" With an attitude and with no cares! Literally like take this number and be happy! I told him that's the most unprofessional response to a question I have ever had. I'm so beyond angry. Now I have to just deal with it! But after this service runs out, they have lost a customer. I'm outraged with Straight Talk! Do NOT GET STRAIGHT TALK!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I read a lot of the reviews and what I can see is it just like me there are other people out there being scammed by Straight Talk wireless. I’m actually thinking we should all file in a class action lawsuit. Like seriously. The first time I got the phone how about the card for the first 30 days at work beautifully! Next time I go to refill my service what's 3 days later than my actual payday causing me without a phone for 3 days. So, I bought another card and reactivated on the actual day date of my pay day. The next month again no service except for this time 5 days. Plus I haven't been able to send a single text message since buying his last refill card. And also it says unlimited talk text and data but when you run out of your gigabytes you run out of all of your bare necessities of this piece of crap phone.

No they won't help you yes they will tell you that they false advertise. Yes they will tell you that they lied to you and that no it isn't really unlimited. They actually make a guesstimation of how many gigabytes did they think you'll use a month and if you accidentally go over what they think is appropriate I'll just tell you that you've ran over data even if you can prove you haven't through the phones storage managing. So let's do a class action lawsuit. We all have proof they have scammed tons of people and I don't deserve to keep getting away with it. Email me **. #SurvivingStraightTalk

Original review: June 8, 2019

I've been a Straight Talk customer for over 8 years. I went into my account to update my credit card information due to the expiration date. They took this opportunity to increase my rate by $1.72 per month. Customer service representative Alan couldn't give me a reasonable explanation nor did he care. He refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor and just wanted to get rid of me. I will be changing cell phone service providers.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I am a 60 year old businessman and I can tell you without a doubt that Straight Talk is the worst company I have ever dealt with by far. Call their customer service number and you get no options to talk with anyone. You get survey after survey from other companies. They keep double charging me and it's a nightmare trying to fix it. You get sent to India and speak with incredibly rude people with no ability to do anything but tell you that it's your problem and they won't even make an effort to fix. If you persist they hang up on you. It's unbelievable and I for one am going to speak with our State Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. Everyone who has Straight Talk is either already switched or in the process. It's unbelievable that it can be so pathetic and still be in business.

Original review: June 6, 2019

In March 2019 I called Straight Talk to change the card number being used for autopay as it was no longer good. Straight Talk assigned my new card number to another phone I do not own. They will not credit or give back my money. I have lost 94.30 dollars. I am also afraid to make any more payments on autopay. They take no responsibility.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I have been with Straight Talk for almost 4 years. Never had a problem. Then they let the person that stole my phone access my account and turn my stolen phone on. When I questioned them they made me feel like I was the thief. And now he has access to my account and I don't. On top of that I have severe health issues and no phone. I was never more disrespected like I was yesterday.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I purchased 1G of data for $15. I was using it for navigation and it was gone in 15 minutes. I called customer service and they told me I used it up and that was too bad. I researched my phone. It keeps up with data used from hotspots on a full screen. I had used 14.37 GB of data. I told them I would screenshot this and send it to Straight Talk headquarters in Miami. They restored my data but it was hard work to get them to do it. They are stealing your data and using it in their third world countries.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Placed an order for a Straight Talk phone. All went through just fine and went to bed. Get up to an email from Straight Talk that cancelling the order was successful. Called Straight Talk and was told that the charge card company rejected the order. Called Visa and learned that Straight Talk cancelled the order. Contacted Straight Talk and was informed that I had to place the order again, but they needed an additional $30 for the phone even though they cancelled the order. What a way to make money - stop an order then increase the price by $30. It was so easy to fix. They could see the order and the amount - just replace the order. But no. There was a price increase and even though Straight Talk cancelled - I am responsible and must pay additional $30. Is this an unfair business practice?

Original review: May 30, 2019

They have the complete most disrespectful non-helping call representatives ever. They will forever lose business until this issue is fixed seriously. Had an call representative PURPOSELY mess up my phone activation and after I told them it was fixed it done correctly she asked was anything else she do with me like she was rushing me off the phone. I was so pissed. What made me even more I explained how and what I was calling for over 4 times. And she continued to do what she wanted to do.

Original review: May 29, 2019

On the 3rd this month, I updated my service from the $35 plan to the $45 through auto enrollment. Imagine my surprise when 3 days later, I am charged for the $35 plan anyway. The $35 overrode my $45 plan and reset it. I called in immediately to get some help with the situation, and was told that they would reimburse me for the plan, and reset it to my $45 plan. A week later, I had seen no reimbursements to my bank, so I called in. I was told that they would fix it, and I should be seeing the fix and reimbursement within the next two days. I called yet again when, lo and behold, nothing happened. This time, I was told it would be added to my reserve. Okay, I can handle that.

Until today, 5/29, I received a message telling me that my service end date was coming up. I called for the FOURTH time, only to be told that 'No, they were not going to reimburse me or add anything to my reserve, and my service ends in a week.' Had this been my own doing, I would understand. However, this was a mistake on THEIR part. Their system charged me again, and they refuse to fix their mess up. Do NOT go with them if you have the chance. The second my service is up, I am finding a new phone provider. As someone who works with people on a daily basis in the customer service industry, I know how important it is to keep your word. It is even more important to make things right if your system or business is in the wrong. This is ridiculous, and quite frankly one of the worst business models. If I could give it a negative star, I would. Even one star is too generous.

Original review: May 27, 2019

My niece got a phone from her mother and we tried setting this phone up with Straight Talk but was unsuccessful. So I told her when I get more time we will call Straight Talk. Well apparently when I went online to set it up is when the 30 days started and they were unable to even help us unlock the phone from its previous carrier regardless of the fact that this phone was never even used as far as service. I am so mad I may not even ever use this method for cellular service anymore. Even after I explained to the manager that the service was never used and that she as a manager should be able to help us as customers but she refused.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Customer service is not friendly. You barely understand what they are saying like they don't speak English. I was with Straight Talk for more than 5 yrs. I needed help. They gave me the runaround and changed my number without my consent and I couldn't get the number back. They don't make you feel like they can help you. They said you can bring your own phone. They said the phone wasn't comparative but my Straight Talk sim card was working in the phone. I was making calls and texting. I gave them numerous of chances. I'm done. Cricket wireless is my new family. The hell with Straight Talk.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We initially had great service from Straight Talk, I believe we have been 2 lines for myself and my wife for 8 years. This week I have received a post card that my iPhone 5 is extinct and I must purchase a new phone. This phone for me is “new” as I switched to a “smartphone“ only 2 years ago and I have just figured out how to turn OFF all the stuff I don’t need and accumulate the apps I do. The turning point is when I have tried for 3 days now to purchase one of their phones: the coupon they gave they would not honor with the advertised price: the online check-out absolutely refuses to work. Repeatedly stating “generic error“.

Chat will not help but wants private information to “escalate“ to another location. On the check-out page? NO: Don’t Think So. Call Center repeatedly puts me on long holds: “to look up my account“, once maybe 4 times? Does anyone remember the DNC hack of 2016? There is something very fishy about a company that will not complete a simple sale THEY initiated. Just my 2cts.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I purchased a hotspot to use when traveling and it is subject to months of no use. My phone carrier has recently added the hotspot and I ordered the sim card to use it. Found out the Straight Talk unit is locked and they told me I have to have it active for a year before they will unlock it. Sounds like a contract to me.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I purchased a Verizon SIM card to use in my latest (2018) iPad Pro on the Straight Talk's "Bring your own tablet" plan. My iPad qualified for their service based on their website so I signed up for the plan and paid for one month. They sent me the SIM card, I installed it and tried to activate it and it would not activate. I called their technical support and after 2 hours talking to 4 people I was told they don't know why it doesn't work BUT there are no refunds at Straight Talk. How does a company sell a product that does not work and not refund your money?

Original review: May 22, 2019

I bought a service plan and ordered a SIM card. After getting the SIM card I called to activate on the "bring your own plan". I have an iPhone that was working on Verizon and went through the steps to move from Verizon to ST. The agent was unable to make the SIM card work and blamed the phone. They said it was unrepairable. But the iPhone works fine with the Verizon SIM card. They won't refund the money for the service plan. So I'm out of $38.

Original review: May 20, 2019

The phone costed 100$. You can't activate the phone at all unless you use another phone or have a wifi signal at all. Once activated 60gb unlimited service you only get literally 1 bar of service LTE 4g signal. It's complete false advertising to say you have unlimited access to 1 bar of service on a 4g network when the other plans are exactly the same. Trying to load a webpage with a picture on it from the non wifi phone signal is ridiculous! It's a sham.

On top of that after the 60gb depending if you actually can use the falsely advertising of unlimited 1 bar (basically call only service for a touch phone is appalling) you can't even play a simple game app on the phone 'cause the signal is so poor. Best part is the other phones are exactly the same brand on the shelves with no other options. Don't bother buying this phone at all. I bet the price of this phone if I returned it they would put it back on the shelf. Best not to return it at all just more technology trash for landfills... I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT NOR EVER USE THIS BRAND AGAIN.

Cell phone tower is not even 2 miles away from my current location. Service will not be renewed. Don't pay for a phone that's basically calls only. Good luck using the internet without wifi. This is written from a wifi signal take like 30 mins to load the page with the plan. 100% junk and overpriced. Shame to I expected a actual good phone service I was incredibly disappointed. Specifically says 4g LTE speed you actually get 2g. Or just a little over so they can say 3g.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had Straight Talk for probably 5 plus years. About 2.5 years ago I purchased an iPhone 6s Plus from them. I purchased another iPhone 6s Plus from them this year because my old iPhone is wearing out, and now all of a sudden I can’t get straight talk service with the iPhone 6s Plus now. I haven’t moved, I’ve lived in the same zip code for 25 years, and I must point out I had perfectly fine service with Straight Talk all along.. I tried switching to Cricket Wireless with the new iPhone I purchased less than 2 months ago but Straight Talk refuses to unlock this new phone, because I haven’t had any service on this particular phone for at least 1 full year. Yet I’ve been a customer with them for at least 5 years. I don’t understand how an iPhone cannot “have service” in an area that I currently use an iPhone, not to mention iPhones are on every major cell phone network. I would never recommend Straight Talk to anyone, they are a complete joke.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs