Miami, FL

3.7/5 (1177 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

July of this year I had my service disconnected due trying to switch to Verizon sim card, I left out of State due to death in family and during that time service stopped. I called right away, explained SIM card was in Florida and I was in Indiana so not able to put sim card in. Instead of them reactivating my line with same sim card. They told me to go buy a new one and start over. At that time I had 7980 reward points enough for free month service. I called in August asking why my points are pending, I was told by 5 agents I had to wait 60 days from July. So come to Sept 15th when I was told they’d be available, nope still pending. I called 9/16 asking why and was told the pending should be off by afternoon, nope. So I call back that afternoon, was told they’d be available next day.

I go on and not only was there no charge but they deleted my 7980 points and left 930. I call again and was told since it was deactivated I lost my rewards back in July. Mind you I talked every month to multiple agents that NEVER said that. Their site states you have 60 days once deactivated or you lose your rewards but I was told I had to wait 60 days for pending to drop off, so basically they lied and I ended losing my points for not using but they wouldn’t allow me to because in pending 60 days. I urge anyone to stay far away from this crocked company! I have screenshots for proof but no agents will fix this mistake on their end!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Added air time to a second phone. The phone I was using said it had been added but it had not. Called the number on back of air time card I purchased at Wal-Marts and asked for help. Man asked me my name and my secret question which I answered. Then he proceeded to ask me last 4 digits of debit or credit card number I used to pay for card. Told him I used cash. Then he asked me last 2 people I had call me and those numbers and names. And last 2 people who texted me and the same thing. Told him he had no business asking me for private information. I was very upset. Told him all he needed was the pin number I had bought and the phone number. That it would show that the number belonged to me. Again very upset!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We have been using Straight Talk for as long as I remember. However, my 18 year old daughter graduated high school in May 2022 and was sent off to Army boot camp July 4, 2022. Before she left home in July we bought the 3 month plan that we put in reserve so that it could automatically be applied to her phone the following month, August, and we wouldn’t have to worry about forgetting to pay her monthly bill to keep her phone active while she’s away, and so that she could call on her free days -which is every Sunday. She only gets a few minutes and sometimes only seconds to talk to her family so she looks forward to having her phone privileges each week.

Let’s fast forward to how straight talk did her… She called every Sunday for the first 9 weeks of her boot camp training. On week 10 she gets her phone privilege to get ahold of family because it was boot camp graduation day (this was last week 9/10/2022 and remember that I said we had her plan paid up through October). Guess what happened?!?!? Straight talk discontinued her entire phone, sim, number, EVERYTHING! She had to find someone that would let her use their hotspot so she could get ahold of her family.

We called straight talk and they did nothing at all to help. Didn’t even care that my daughter, who is there training to defend their sorry ** was wrongfully done! They didn’t offer to refund the unused balance back nor did they even offer an apology! Not even a simple “I understand your frustration, let me see what we can to help.” NOTHING! Needless to say, straight talk needs to go ahead and sell out. I will tell EVERYONE about how they did my daughter and I wouldn’t recommend their service to anyone, not even my worse enemy! We are proud users of a different carrier now and will never consider switching back!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

August 26th, 2022. I have been off and on with Straight Talk for the past 9 years and I've never really had a problem with them until the past 5 months I pay for the $55 unlimited plan with 15 gigs of hotspot. I use those hotspot gigs for my work computer every once in a while and the past 5 months I have been shut off at 10 gigs at 9 gigs at 9 and 1/2 gigs at 7 and 1/2 gigs at 6 gigs and well this month I'm at four and a half so I ended up calling the customer service and they said that I used up a full 15 gigs and I have not. I know I have not, the phone that I have tells me how much data I have used on my phone plan and my Hotspot and it's never been wrong before.

I have been watching this go on and on and they shut it off after I called, they sent a message to me saying that I used up all 15 gigs of my Hotspot data not even 30 minutes after I called. They are literally ripping people off. We are paying over $60 for a plan. We only get about 5 gigs of hotspot on this is **. There's other phone plans out there that is way better than this that does not shut you off before your plan is ended. ** them. I rate them a -2 stars. Everyone stay alert and watch your phone plan data.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I bought a plan and accidentally added it now (instead of putting it in reserve) even though my current plan had 9 days left. When I realized my mistake, I contacted customer service to ask them to put it in reserve instead. They said they couldn't do it. Then they told me that they could do it and add the 9 days back on the plan "before or on the expiration date" of the new plan I had added. So because (I was in chat) they posted their script that said "before or on the expiration date" I asked them to do it today, but they said they couldn't do it today even though the policy they shared with me stated they could do it "on or before the expectation day."

Then they said I couldn't get those days back. Then they gave me a phone number to call because they really could do it on the expiration date of the new plan. I pointed out to them that they had just shared their policy that said they could do it before the expiration date. They ignored that. They refused to transfer me to a manager, claimed that they were one. I asked them why, if they were really a manager, why they kept giving me contradicting information and lying to me. They said their "system wasn't programmed to be able to process my request." If that is so, the company needs to fix that! Not having that option seems deceptive to me and shows that money is more important than making their customers happy. So why did they also tell me they could add the days from the old plan back on? Terrible customer service! I wasn't even asking for a refund so it's not like they would be losing money. But I did!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I was a prepaid customer for over 3 years but in 2022 when I added airtime to my account I was informed Version bought Straight Talk and I needed a new sim card to upgrade and improve my service. Well I installed new sim card and now my phone does not work at all. I had just bought two phones so I had a backup. I called their customer service and spent over 36 hours and 29 different called to their customer service. Over a string of 5 days. This was due to having them drop your call, transfer you, tell you to call back, and many other reasons. I had purchased a $45.00 plan and bought two strait talk phones. After all that I am transferred to a accounting supervisor to be told I would have to buy Verizon phones and they. Being Verizon would not reimburse me or help in any way. They would unlock my phones for $250.00 each. These people are thieves.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

My parents got me Straight Talk when I first got a phone and I stuck with it until now. We had always had problems with it unless we were set up in an auto enroll connected to a steady credit card. When I started paying for it on my own, it was a nightmare to switch cards, and put all of the credentials in my name. Still to this day, my own phone bill isn't in my name because they won't let me access my account, no matter how many times I've verified myself. Their customer service is from hell. It actually sucks worse than any other company I've ever contacted. They hang up on you, they're rude, they tell you they can't help, or they will put you on hold and forget about you. Honestly just skip this company altogether, it will save you so much time. Also, the service sucks anyways, my LTE is constantly cutting out in areas with plenty of connection. Don't waste your time!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

We were Straight Talk customers since 2017, and we were generally pretty happy with the service. There were a few times where we needed international calling options that were not available to us, but aside from that the day-to-day use was fine. To save money, we recently decided to change providers; however, doing so was an enormous pain. Customer support was awful, and no one seemed to know anything beyond what I could find online. Really bad experience at the end. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I bought an iPhone from Straight Talk and when I received the phone it did not work. I contacted straighttalk the next day to replace the phone and they keep telling me they can not replace the phone and to contact Apple. I have spoken to over 10 reps and they all say that they can not replace the phone that I paid in full!!!! Horrible company!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

The worse customer service ever. I had to send my phone back to be repaired..that was 10 mos. ago. Still no phone. Switched to Verizon and ST charged me 2 days later for my service and refuse to refund my money.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information