1.79/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

1800 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have had mostly good experiences with these companies but there is at least two major points I dislike about them and I feel these could be rectified. They make it nearly impossible to find a hotspot in stores (older model issue)... which forces you to have to order it and wait 7 to 14 days... UNACCEPTABLE! If you only contract via WALMART then make sure they have your hotspots in-stock on the floor. I searched for 5 days within 38 miles of my home and could not find a single store who had a UMX U240C in-stock... and yet this is the only hotspot choice I have for the plan I am on via your companies.

And please do not blame Walmart. They will sell out of this as soon as it is in-stock... so do not blame the POS sellers. I feel this is a way to control who buys the devices -- if they can only be purchased via your company online and you require all this personal information to even order/ship them... that is CRAP... just offer them in store. Do not make it hard on the consumer and never require them to order from you online and expect them to wait 7 plus days.

Yes, it is an older hotspot but it is the only one you allow to be used with some prepay plans so they should be available in store somewhere if they are the ONLY option allowed for use with specific plans. The stores involved cited you do not send them these units -- they have to special order them which is a bad thing for me as a customer who needs it today. When I asked the store if it was due to limited space in the stores or the fact that it is an older model -- I was told no, it has to due with how you limit the supply to them. I was told they sell out of these units as fast as they do get them into the stores. But yes it is a practice to hawk the latest newer model hotspots.

So those facts make me reconsider why that is a practice that your companies engages in. I do not like the most logical reasons that I have come up with for this behavior. Cut the crap and just do the customer right. Obviously privacy is a major concern if a person prefers prepay plans so stop trying to cull their personal information via forced sales orders.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have a Samsung S7 purchased through Walmart.com. I use Straight Talk Wireless which I purchase a $55.00 Unlimited Plan each month, (so say 15 gig of unlimited 4G service AFTER 15 GIG drops to 3G or worse supposedly) while sitting idle the phone shows 4G. I go to use the phone for Internet it drops to 3G or even worse 1X (WHAT IS THIS; DIAL-UP WAS FASTER). Also I get voice mails & the phone never rang? (REALLY?). Sometimes in the middle of a Big City where you know you should have great service but my phone says I have no service? Or the dreaded 1X... This phone is on Verizon towers too... I only use just shy of 5 gig of data each month according to Straight Talk Wireless. Their Service Really SUCKS! If this continues I'll be moving on. I'm truly fed up with Straight Talk Wireless.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I've been a loyal customer for over 4 years with Straight Talk. I had all four of my family members using them too. I bought 3 iPhone 5s from them through Walmart over a year ago. Now I've temporarily moved to another country to take care of my ailing father. They said they won't unlock my daughter's phone because she needs another 30 days activation even though the phone was purchased over a year ago. They say my other daughter needs 159 more days of activation. I also bought her phone same time but hers wasn't always active. They won't unlock MY PHONE and I've had the longest service over 4 years!!

Initially I brought my own phone to the network, then purchased a new iPhone through them and used the original sim card that came with the kit to my new phone. They REFUSE to unlock my phone because they said I never activated it!!! Nowhere did it say I couldn't use the same sim card!!! After all it's still a ST sim! WTH?! I AM SO PISSED OFF. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! THEY WILL SCREW YOU EVENTUALLY. I AM SUBMITTING MY COMPLAINTS TO THE FCC.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

After being burned by another popular brand, we decided to go to month to month. Love it and we honestly can say that we get the same endless everything that we did before. It's like we never left the popular brand, except our new company, always, answer the phone and questions 24/ 7...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been using this company for a year now and have never had any issues with them. Everyone is great over there at Straight Talk. My daughter and I love them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I cannot believe all the horror stories on their Straight Talk website. They are cheating all of us out of data that we pay good money for because they are doing it to me also and it's useless getting in touch with them because they do nothing or hang up on you. BBB needs called on them.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Honestly I do not get how so many people are having such a rough time with Straight Talk???? Maybe not good with technology perhaps and wants everything done for them? Anyway my experience had been great these last few years with regular data allowance updates as well as full LTE speed which is awesome since it used to be capped at only 5 Mbps. In any case I couldn't be happier and it sure beats the other postpaid brands in my experience. Though I do agree that customer service sucks but as long as you're tech savvy to a degree you shouldn't have any problems getting setup and running at full LTE speed.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

It has dead spots like other phones do but have been satisfied with plan but had to get different phone. Not as happy with a ZTE as I was my Samsung. My plan is $45 for unlimited talk, text, internet.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

They will wear you down, they wore me down, more than 4 hours of calling, getting hung up on, calling back and starting over again. They first bricked my cell phone, and as of this writing, they're trying to un-brick it, they tried to charge me for 2 service pins, I had to wait 4 days for a new sim card in mail. I'm sure buying a new phone and service pin directly from them will be fine, but do not bring your own phone.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

The best service for the least dollars! People say their phones won't work at my house... but I get a good strong service when others provide no service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

As a 72-year-old woman, this cell phone service meets my needs. The cost 32 dollars a month is adequate for me as I only make about 10 to 15 calls a week. I am satisfied with this provider.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

3 days late on my 1-day free shipping order. Gotta read the fine print: "Your estimated delivery is 1 business day after order is shipped." I got with customer service on chat and they literally told me "Your phone should arrive yesterday" and told me to call customer service. Hours are half a day. Good prices, at a big cost.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I had been using ST for nearly 10 years and I always kept paid up. While I was in the West Texas and East NM Oilfields as a truck driver; I found it necessary to buy a ST Hotspot so that I could have expensive Internet since no low cost service was provided by anyone. I very quickly discovered that ST was shorting me 500 MB of data which was shown on their very own site. My choices were to wait a few days or a week for my auto-pay to make another payment to them, or to pay promptly for more service. Naturally: I complained. Customer Service had the gall to tell me that I was out of data even though their own site said otherwise! I was forced to pay for more data even though I had 500 MB remaining because they lacked any competition in that area of this country unless you chose to get further financially raped by AT&T or Verizon. I have since then moved out of that area and I got a new job.

WARNING!!! I also had a few upper mid-ranged Walmart/Straight Talk cell phones throughout this entire 10 year period. A year and a half ago, I had to buy a new smartphone which cost me nearly $200. This phone was unlocked. Very recently; I discovered a company called Ting which would charge me only for the data and talking time I actually used. I have always been a light user of my phones, so I accepted their offer. Literally minutes later my phone completely lost the ability to even find a cell phone signal, and even doing a factory reset using either Straight Talk or Ting's SIM card accomplished nothing! I will be damned if I was going to go to Walmart to buy another one; so I went to Best Buy instead and bought an unlocked Sony!

YOU might save your present phone during a provider switch if you immediately turn off your phone, remove the battery, the SIM card, and wait for one full business day before installing everything including the new SIM card. My transformation happened late Friday, and I had to speak to my employer about the possibility of my being phoneless until late Monday. Straight Talk remotely trashed MY phone! I would love to join a class action lawsuit against them for that and for fraud, but I do not know if these things can be proven!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Easy to refill. Customer service is the best between Virgin, AT&T, Verizon, and Boost. The worst customer service I have ever had was T-Mobile, they sucked royal. I never before used Wal-Mart phone service and I am very impressed with their help on issues I was having. I would recommend Straight Talk to anyone as the best provider that I have ever had. I'm going out of state, Florida, and I will hopefully have the same experience as I have presently. Go Straight Talk.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Only giving one star because there is no option for zero! I have been a customer of Straight Talk for years and trusted them, HUGE mistake! I purchased an iPhone 6s on August 9th and purchased 3 month data plan as well. The phone stopped working on September 20th, after many calls I was told to send the phone back for a replacement and this should take approximately 2 weeks to receive the replacement, fast forward a month and a half numerous calls to customer service I receive a refurbished iPhone 4 as the replacement!

Numerous more calls into customer service, transfers and even had a customer service representative hang up on me I was finally promised a refund for the iPhone 6s ($399.00) and the balance of the remaining data plans that was not used but first I had to send the iPhone 4 back and could take up to 30 business days to get refund. Send iPhone 4 back only to have it returned with a note denying refund! They have stolen over $600 from me! Wish I had read some of these reviews BEFORE my purchase!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The price on Straight Talk phones are great. My Straight Talk phone pick up better in locations that other brands of cell phones I have owned was lousy. They always try and answer whatever questions that you have about your phone. When I do buy another cell phone, it will definitely be Straight Talk.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've been a loyal customer for almost 9 years. Just this past month, I've been complaining constantly about my data, dropped calls and resending messages. I received another SIM card and that still didn't fix the problem. I've even taken my phone to someone else because I thought it was the phone and had to pay for services. I'm really looking into another service because I'm paying for something I can barely use! They basically told me that they don't know and get attitudes.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I get everything I need for only $33.05 per month. Unlimited texting and 1500 minutes of talk time. Unlimited talk and text is only $45.00 per month. They also have a points system, and 3000 points can be used towards a free month of service.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

You used to be able to choose the service provider with Straight Talk. I thought I had a AT&T sim card but now I've got Verizon. They give you 4 gigs of high speed data, then after that it slows way down. The problem is it's so slow with the 4 gigs nothing will load! It's like I'm not getting high speed data at all. I'm definitely going to change wireless providers just as soon as the end of this cycle is up.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I rarely get a customer service representative who speaks English clearly and having one who speaks English would be very beneficial. I get frustrated easily with anything electronic but the representatives I have had to speak whom do not speak clear English have been very patient with me when I've asked them to repeat themselves a number of times but it's just time consuming for everyone.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Straight Talk no longer gives you a warning before your service expires. I had no other phone access to use but on their automated renewal phone line, they would only give me 3 options to choose from. All of them were national plans. I needed an international plan. You can't call their customer service number if your plan expires, only their renewal number. There's no way to talk to an agent on their renewal number. I had no choice but to purchase an national plan for $45 just so I could talk to an agent.

Once I called customer service and told them I needed an international plan they refused to credit me the $45 that I had just paid. They wanted me to pay another $65 on top of the $45 to get my international plan. They also refused to refund me the $45. Now I'm stuck buying an extra phone plan from a different company and possibly needing a new phone and new phone number a week before I'm taking a trip out of the country. Good thing it happened now. A week from now I would've out of the country and suddenly stuck with no phone service. Pretty reckless on Straight Talk's end. I'll never go through them again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Had Straight Talk for a month now and idk why more people don't have it. It's cheaper than any other I've seen and have yet to have any problems. I've read a lot of the reviews on here. Maybe mine is working great because I bought a new Straight Talk iPhone SE at Walmart. It may work best when you buy one of their phones. I did the $35 a month plan.

Got a year's service with unlimited everything. Paid $420 for the year. They have a lot of different options. I'm on my phone a lot but usually connected to my home WiFi so I don't use a lot of data but works great when I'm out, anywhere really. I do understand some of others' problems. I would recommend them to everyone and suggest you buy a new Straight Talk phone.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been a Straight Talk consumer for years and opted for a pre-pay-3 month service plan. Recently, I purchase a new iPhone and decided to go with a new service carrier; this plan would save me money. Straight talk would not refund my remaining amount on my pre-paid service and would not transfer it to my daughter’s phone. Basically they stole my money and my trust in pre-pay. Wal-Mart should be ashamed. If I stole money I would be arrested but I guess that does not count if you’re a big company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

We have had Straight Talk for 5 years and have used it all over the country with as good a results as we ever had with Sprint, Verizon or AT&T. I dropped a phone in the pool and had a replacement in the mail in a couple days. We were near the Canadian border and their cell tower blew up my husband's sim card. Since we were traveling, he bought a new identical phone and got everything ported over with no problem. When we got home I called them about the bad sim card and they sent a new one that arrived the next day. We never used it, but when my 3G phone went bad about a year later, I decided to use his old phone since it was 4G, put in the sim card, activated it for free, ported all my info from my old phone and switched SD cards. No fuss. I have found them to be accommodating and timely. Don't remember ever sitting on hold for long. Sometime the foreign accents are hard to understand, but I get that with any tech situation these days.

My only gripe is service here at home. We have to stand in certain areas in the house to get a good signal or go outside, but amazingly we had the same problem with the major carriers no matter what part of town we lived in. So we are paying less than half what we did before and have the same caliber service. We're retired now and we've been looking at other companies to try to save money, but nothing has sounded good enough to make us change so far.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have been a very loyal customer, my latest experience with the Straight Talk Wireless service is very displeasing. I have owned a iPhone 6 for over a year and a half now and have had service on it for its entire life straight out of the box. I recently have upgraded to an iPhone 7plus with my wife through Sprint, all I was looking for was to have the iPhone 6 unlocked so that I could sell it a little easier, I used to have a iPhone 5c that has been out of life since I bought the iPhone 6, I simply took the SIM card out of the i5c and inserted it into the i6.

I did this so I didn't have to buy a new SIM card, Straight Talk SIM card Straight Talk phone. Now that I want it unlocked straight talk has no idea that the i6 is running that SIM card from the i5. Thus now not allowing me to unlock the phone. In my eyes, if I was supposed to register the sim to the new phone it should have not worked, I should have been prompted to register the new IMEI to the SIM card.

This is outrageous. They shouldn't let you reuse the SIM card if it isn't going to update what phone it's in. Never have I ever had a problem with Straight Talk until now. Legally if they say you have to have the phone in service for one year then they should better enforce the registration of IMEI numbers and or not let you reuse the SIM card. I will continue fighting this company until they correct their issue and or unlock my phone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

EXTREMELY difficult to work with to even get the phone set up in the first place... Should have saw that red flag and ran... Enrolled in auto pay. Updated my phone to the iPhone 7 and they said I needed to purchase a new sim which is bull. After that my phone service was **. They said they upgraded everyone plan to 10 gigs which is a load of ** because I have had service plans from other companies and I had ran Pandora continuously on those and NEVER used more than 3 gigs. Well ACCORDING to Straight Talk I used over that 10 gigs and then the phone ran at the slower speed internet. Nothing ever loaded. No service anywhere I went. DO NOT BUY!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Straight Talk advertises unlimited nationwide calling. Their advertising is false. Try to make a call in certain areas while traveling and the phone says you are roaming and will not allow incoming or outgoing calls. Their website even has a FAQ about roaming. The answer to the question was "No. Your Straight Talk phone won't roam, you will be able to enjoy nationwide coverage on one of America's best networks, at the same price of a local call." Customer service says "we cannot guarantee coverage if you are away from your home area." How does that make sense. Cricket is so much better. Will switch back ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My phone broke on Saturday Sept. 30. They told me they would send an email with shipping instructions, didn't receive them until Oct, 2nd. I was told when they received my phone they would mail mine out. Well they got mine on Oct. 4 and and I got mine back on Oct 16th. I would call. They kept telling me it was in processing. Well I do home health and need a phone so I got another phone with another carrier, and now they don't want to refund my money or my minutes which I didn't use any of my minutes. DO NOT RECOMMEND Straight Talk to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Their data plans are definitely enticing. Don't let those fool you. My phone had a difficult time receiving text messages. Only about half would show up to my phone. Only way I knew was when people would follow up with calls asking why I was ignoring them. Over the course of at least four weeks, I would call into Straight Talk looking for a solution. They have an outsourced call center located in the Philippines and all they do is read from a script. No one was able to recognize my previous call-ins. I called about 25 times and there were no notes. While you are waiting for a customer service rep, the hold music literally says, "Try restarting your phone while you wait for a service rep." This experience is truly bad. Save yourself the headache. There are much more options out there.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

After using Straight Talk many years I am now inexplicably cut off. The troubleshoooting team blames the smartphone previous network that has worked flawlessly until today. Now calls and text are impossible via Straight Talk. NEVER purchase a T-Mobile android if you want to use Straight Talk, NEVER pay $45 a month when you need reliable phone service.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs