1.66/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

1916 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I pay my phone three times. I mean Straight Talk block my phone when I ask them to remember this the morning to me for one of the phone was not mine I paying accident. They telling me to call my bank and cancel through them. I feel like all my mom. Yeah I canceled one of the times auction then they blocked my phone and they disconnect my phone and now they say I need to pay 2 months so they can put my phone to work back again. I think it's not fair what they doing. They are really bad combine doing this kind of stuff to me.

Original review: April 18, 2018

November 6 2017 purchased Straight Talk phone and service card. Could not receive package as it was sent FedEx and they would not allow another signature/address/official drop off location. Straight Talk account showed the company received the phone back on 11/10/17. After many attempts to get through (contact phone for company requires a Straight Talk phone number), I actually got through twice to speak to reps. Second time I was kept on the phone for 40 minutes (stalling tactic?), burning minutes on current phone, agreed the phone had been received by company. Assured me refund would come. Since, cannot get through to speak to a rep the way I first did (hitting "5"); disconnects, "unrecognized input", just hell... Had a ticket number **, tracking number FedEx **, and here it is April 18, 2018 and still they have my $72 and change.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My phone would keep rejecting its sim card. I would call, report the problem, go weeks without a working phone. It didn't matter how many new sims cards I got, it never fixed the problem. I went through this for over 2 months. I paid for a 2 year replacement warranty on this phone, but Straight Talk would not give me a new phone. I got tried of trying to deal with them, and got another phone. Guess what same **!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I been with this company for a while now and I'm about fed up. So I recently went to Walmart and bought a Straight Talk plan so I can get off my mom's account. Apparently my phone was not compatible so I tried to return it and the first one I did but I tried with another phone and it did not work either. So I tried to return that one and Walmart refused me. I was VERY angry at the fact that they did at first and say that they can't. I called Straight Talk and they refused to help me too so you know what, I hope this company fails. I'm never using this ** service again. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. I mean I know it's somewhat my fault but come on at least give me what I paid for. So yeah hope this company goes to the ground.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm very very unhappy with the new Straight Talk plan. I've been on the 45.00 unlimited plan for years and years. Now they moved up to 4g what they call light plan for 45.00. If you want the unlimited plan you now have to buy the 55.00 plan. I went with Straight Talk because it was affordable. Now it's not!!! On top of all this I called to add data because my light plan that I was deceived into buying went down to 2gs. I paid 10.00 for. Should have put me up to the unlimited data plan. But nooo they just added two gigs. I called them and they said they don't offer such an option! Crooks! I'M out!!! Bye falichia!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: April 11, 2018

My parents had me on Straight Talk since I got my first smartphone when I was 14. I'm 17 now, so I've had it for around three years now. At first, I didn't really have any issues. The service was fantastic and it did everything I needed it to do. That was until my mom got her credit card stolen about a year later. She had to shut down the card so the people who had it couldn't use it, resulting in my phone getting deactivated for the first time. Once she got a new one a few days later, she went and switched everything over and the bills were paid once more. However, I only got service for about a week, then my data and ability to text and call were gone. We did everything we could to get it back. I didn't have service for about three months. Once I finally got it back, it was smooth sailing until once again (barely), they cut me off again not too long ago. No texting/calling or data once more!

My dad contacted customer service and they said that the bill wasn't paid (which it indeed was) and that my data wasn't working because I went over the 10g data limit, which makes no sense because it's near impossible for me to go anywhere near 10g of data because I'm home on my wifi a lot and also, I was on the $45 UNLIMITED plan. The lady in customer service said if I want unlimited data, we'd have to pay $55 now, or else I'd just have to deal with getting throttled. It's weird because we got no warning of this at all and from what I could see, I wasn't the only one dealing with this and that I wasn't the only one not told about this BS at all until we had to take it up with the migraine-inducing customer service! It took us two days to just reactivate the service and we haven't bothered to change the plan over yet because the customer service was just that bad.

That was about a month ago and I have run into yet another problem today. The company sent me a text telling me that the auto-refill had been paid successfully just the other day. Well, about two hours ago, my cellphone deactivates. I only knew because I had to call my boyfriend about something just to hear "Please stay on the line to reactivate your phone". It honestly made me pretty upset because I know the bill got paid. I went to contact customer service just to hear the same thing. So now I am unable to even contact the people who might, but most likely won't properly fix the issue. This is just the service alone. Don't even get me started on the phones.

I've had three different phones with this service: Samsung Ace Style, Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, and LG G2. All three started having problems shortly after getting them such as overheating to the point of almost burning me, shutting down at random, apps that are mandatory for the phone to work such as touchscreen programming and system processing to have messages saying they've stopped working all the time.

The Ace Style and Grand Prime weren't as bad as my LG G2 though. It constantly crashes, freezes, overheats, won't stay connected to wifi and it disconnects all the time (the wifi connection's always strong at my house and the bandwidth is consistent), it restarts and shuts down at random, my battery started to warp shortly after getting the phone, the screen doesn't respond when I touch it sometimes, and so on. Maybe my phone's defective, I'm not sure. I'm not even sure why or how this company is still standing. It makes no sense whatsoever. How can a company cheat and steal this much money out of so many people when they're the only thing keeping this company afloat?

Original review: April 9, 2018

My Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro got stolen from Walmart automotive while my bfrd was getting a oil change, from waiting room. Anyway I reported it to Straight Talk and told them to blacklist it so that it don't get reactivated by a unuser. They told me they did but it a Lie. I checked online myself, and it was cleared for activation. Then I called them back and told them it was to be reported and cut off. I was told if I was going to use another phone, to switch it before it was reported. I did that.

Why while talking to CS, they turned the switched on phone and supposedly blacked list the WRG phone. I was more than pissed. I just activated my Galaxy in January and I don't believe CS did anything. I feel like someone got it and had its sim changed out and is using my phone with another company. I reported with the hour and Straight Talk did nothing. I bought it from online with the company and I feel they should been held responsible for me not getting it back due to their lacking to block the use of my cell phone. **. I ordered it Black Friday weekend, the Thursday before Friday 2017.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had Straight Talk for close to 10 years on and off. I have sadly had nothing but issues. About 5 years ago I had bought a new phone and was told I couldn't keep my number and that I needed a new one. Well nothing I could do about it so I agreed to a new number. About a week goes by and I start receiving text messages to someone else, phone calls asking for someone else. This went on for about a month until I found out that Straight Talk gave the number to not only myself but to someone else as well. So two people had the same number. It was a bit disturbing nonetheless. I've also had phones just randomly stop working and would be told I had to buy a new one even though they are supposed to have a 1year warranty on them. I have also sent in a phone about 3 years ago only to be sent the wrong one that was $100 cheaper than the phone I had sent it.

I never did get the right phone because I was called name after name while speaking to their horrible customer service reps. Fast forward to yesterday 4/8/2018, I wake up to my phone disconnected. I thought that it had seemed a bit early and at first brushed it off and was going to reactivate my service until my husband said to double check my bank account to see when I refilled my service with my debit card. I get onto my mobile banking to find my suspicions were correct. I still had 4 days until my service was supposed to end.

I use my husband's phone to call Straight Talk and after an hour and 45 minutes and 5 different people I had gotten nowhere. I was told that I was lying, I was trying to get free time because I apparently couldn't afford to buy time, I was asked how many other Straight Talk services do I have, I had no idea what she meant by that, when I asked what she meant she asked how many other cell phones do I have. I said, "Only one, the one I'm calling about." She then asks whose phone I am on and I said, "My husband's." She then states that I could have put the time on his phone and not mine HAHA (any excuse to screw someone over). They kept repeating themselves saying "their system says they received payment on 3/8/2018."

I had finally started getting upset and said 'IDC WHAT IT SAYS, I HAVE BANK PROOF YOU TOOK $50.48 FROM MY ACCOUNT ON 3/12/2018" and once again they would repeat themselves about what their end says. I even offered to email or fax a copy of my bank statement to show them and the response I received was "anyone can fake a piece of paper", my jaw slammed the floor after hearing that. I was also told my bank was lying to me, that I was a fraud, so on and so forth.

I had finally mentioned I was going to be contacting the BBB and once that came up the whole attitude had changed. I was then transferred to yet again another worker and was asked a million questions I had already answered a million times. She then proceeded to ask me my bank account information, before giving it to her I had stated that I was going to be recording the conversation from that point forward until the call was ended. She proceeded to get very angry with me and told me she does not give her consent to be recorded. I was confused and said that it's my legal right to record any conversation when giving out my personal information like my bank account and that she was recording me. She got angry and said, "WHATEVER."

She then kept mentioning a confession. At first I thought I misheard her because you can't talk to anyone who knows a lick of English. Then my husband had heard her mention it as well. When I asked what she meant by confession she would start talking extremely fast so I couldn't understand her, I had asked her 4 different times to repeat herself and every time she would speak at an extremely fast pace intentionally.

After getting my nerves totally shot, being criticized, humiliated, most likely conned and set up, and told I was lying a thousand times I still didn't receive the time I had paid for. These 3 incidents are only a SMALL majority of the extremely stressful and fraudulent issues I have had with Straight Talk. My concern is how often do they do this and us innocent customers don't notice it, how much time and money do they owe customers for pretty much stealing from us.

Let's not forget the disrespect we receive when calling in about an issue, or that we can't even speak to an English speaking American. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and do have a case open against Straight Talk. We all work very hard for the money we give them, it isn't fair that we are being straight up stolen from and they make it like there's nothing we can do about it but to sit back and take it. It's a shame because at first Straight Talk was a great business... Thank you for the read, hopefully we all can get our issues taken care of, I know I will be going to a better, more professional, and honest company from here on out.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. They are a total rip off. I refilled my account and they put it on a totally different plan that took away everything. I now have limited minutes, no access to my movies or any other internet. They said they can't fix the problem. I would have to wait for the next month to make a change that I never authorized cause if I changed it now I would lose my 60 dollars. They are a real joke. Run from this company.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had been with Straight Talk since 2012 and never a problem, until I had a problem. All their call centers are in India, and most of the Walmart Straight Talk "specialist" have no idea what they are doing. In December 2016 I was sent the wrong phone after I signed up for the BYOP program. It took the company 2 weeks before they figured out what the problem was. It was hours and hours per day of me explaining the situation to a new person, to have them transfer me or call a different company and explain the situation. (They work with one company who supplies the phones, and another that takes care of the leasing program. And they have no idea how to communicate with these companies.)

After a few days of speaking with customer service via phone, I was told to go to Walmart. I went to two Walmarts, and both Straight Talk "specialists" did not even attempt to help, and just told me to call Straight Talk. Finally at a third, an employee actually looked at my phone and told me I was sent in the wrong phone for my sim card. (Supposed to be picking up on T-Mobile towers, but was for AT&T.) I called Straight Talk once more, and they transferred me to the company that sells the phones. They insisted they sent me the right one.

After now nearly two weeks of back and forth between Straight Talk, Apple, the company that sent the phone... nothing was working. Finally I had a conference call with managers of all three companies. I was told that yes, they did send me the wrong phone after all, and I was to send mine in and they would send another one. I finally got the new phone, hooked it up and it worked. But I had paid for a month of service that I was not able to use the phone. They told me I would be credited and be able to use that month I paid for after the phone was paid off. It's been two months now since I paid off the phone, and I was not issued my free month.

I put off contacting Straight Talk because I knew what a nightmare it is. But my phone was having issues with the MMS settings. They had given me the correct settings to enter when I got the phone, but after the last update they were wiped out. The customer service rep said he couldn't help and I needed to contact Apple. Well, Apple says Straight Talk needs to give me the settings. I was so angry I didn't even want to bother asking about my credit. I will no longer give a penny to this company.

This is the most ridiculous situation I've ever dealt with. I am not one to ever complain about businesses. I am in customer service and I understand people make mistakes and have bad days. This whole set up of theirs is terrible and they make the customer solve the problem instead of doing their job. I would never recommend this service to anyone. I am switching to another phone company that has a store with real people I can walk into and get help when I have an issue.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Not good company at all. I was trying to buy a phone over at Walmart today. Unfortunately, Walmart did not know too much about this company, as a third party. Walmart did not have the correct information about Straight Talk and SmartPay didn't give Walmart any information regarding their company for the consumers. The company that I am referring to is called SmartPay and the other company is called Straight Talk which is more like double talk. I was going to buy a Apple 6 Plus. Making 15 payments of $109 per month. Is what, I thought. But what really happened. When we got done with all the paperwork. It turn out that I was paying twice the amount per month.

Once a month, I could have handled it. Not only that, but once SmartPay told Walmart to add the Straight Talk card that was around $55. After all this was done. I had to cancel the transaction. Due to the fact that the phone cost too much. Now Straight Talk had my $55. Straight Talk would not give me back the $55 due to the fact Walmart already put the card on my phone that was never used. Now keep in mind the phone was never set up. I cancelled it, right after I found out what the fees were on the whole service. So now, I'm having my bank Chase look into this matter and filing a dispute over the amount of $55 due to the Straight Talk phone company.

After all this mess I had made a phone call to SmartPay and talked to Kri (employee ID #**). I have to say she was kind, but wasn't helpful. Kri told me to call Straight Talk to ask for my refund. At Straight Talk I talked to Edgar (Employee #**). Edgar told me to call back SmartPay. Which all sound kind of fishy to me. So, I made all these phone calls from the Chase Bank in Escondido. With no accomplishments yet. Except for a half of my refund I was going to get back. As far, as the other refund from Straight Talk they refused to give it to me. At SmartPay they did give me the pin number for my Straight Talk card (pin#**) which was no used to me.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I have used Straight Talk Wireless for almost 8 years. If you have auto refill their overall service is ok, nothing more. If you buy service cards to add minutes, it is a total nightmare! My minutes didn't go on my phone and when I called customer service they said my service card pin was added to someone else's phone! They wouldn't transfer it even with my receipt. Basically I'm out $50 for the service card. I will never recommend this company to anyone. I'd rather pay more and not have to be robbed and deal with the headaches!

Original review: March 31, 2018

If anything goes wrong with your service they make you pay an extra 50 dollars to reconnect. My daughter misplaced her phone. When she found it a month later they said she had to pay 50 on top of her phone card. Another time we bought a card through eBay and the seller was a fraud so they disconnect, while I was refunded the money through eBay Straight Talk again said I had to pay the extra money so we switched to Metro and have not had any problems through them.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have a great experience with them but I have 2 bad experiences. First was in 2015 trying to get this phone going and they had me purchase 2 not 1 but 2 monthly cards and after 2 months got the phone to work after purchasing a bring your own kit. But the funny thing is not one sim card would work so they mail me one. Ok. All good till 2 weeks ago I lose service randomly. They say towers but my roommate has same phone same service and all is good. They want me to buy another bring your own kit again. Really it doesn't say it expires on the box and I have had steady service the whole time.

3 years later. Now the best part is I have tried resolve this problem have been hung up on and the best was when dude said, "I'm not recording no more" and called me a **. That's professional. I owned a transmission shop for many years. I should hire him. Someone needs to fix their issues. Not a bad phone service until you have a problem then they rip you out of money. They got me once. My bad second time their bad. Please look into this and have a good day.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We have to pay upfront the total for the phones we buy from them. The first phone I bought was $380 Samsung Galaxy and it only lasted a month and a half before it would freeze constantly. They said, "Oh we'll replace it." I went ahead to instead buy you $484 dollar phone and after 6 months the or so it was having a bunch of problems. I called 3 times and all they tell me is, "Get on another phone so we can see what we can do." "I don't have another phone." "Then we can't help you until you do".

I paid a lot of money for this phone so why am I even having a problem and how many people that live alone have extra phones! I've done what they've told me to do and then nothing has worked so their last step requires another phone I need to call from. When I said I'm at nursing school she said there are people that have phones there... really. I'm in nursing school. We don't have time to be on our phones talking during class!!! I travel 2 hours to school. I NEED my phone to work and I've paid for it to do so.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Bought a 4 GB data for my mobile hotspot, and after adding it in my account and checked, says I have 4 GB available. Went on the TV and phone to use it, says Internet connection is unavailable. So contacted online customer service 3 times, they gave me reference PIN number to call the hotline which did not work. And from one "customer representative" to another. Got transferred three times, the first person who spoke slurpy and like a drunk person, barely could've hear her, second guy is alright, third guy who can barely speak English said: "Oh I'm sorry but I don't know your problem sir, let me transfer you to someone else". Or "Everything appears to be fine here. Your device is up to date, your area has coverage, etc". "Well, I wouldn't be contacting you if I didn't have problems now, did I?"

Been using the hotspot for a month now, no problems until 2 nights ago when after a night, I checked the balance before going to sleep, it had a remaining balance of 3.29 GB. Next morning it said I had 0 MB left. Huh, weird. Back to Customer Rep., And when he did transferred me to "another customer representative", I got: "The customer representative is not available at the moment. Please call back later". And I called back the hotline. This happened for 3 or 4 times for about 2 hours trying to find help.

After that I gave up. Seems like y'all StraightTalk doesn't know what you're doing. And the communication between the branches is horrendously bad. No one knows what's going on and then don't want to deal with it. Up until now I still can't use my data. What a knockoff. Would rate 0 stars if I could. At least hire some employees that's not all foreigner that can barely speak English, or someone with ambition to help. Would not recommend, never use StraightTalk.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I am a Florida resident up in Michigan on family business and I haven't had service for 8 days now (March 15, 2018). Been on the phone for two days in a row for a hour and a half both days trying resolve the issue. I was told a tower was down, then I was told that they had issues with the Sprint towers. I was told next to buy another phone temporarily because of this problem. It is very upsetting. I am not able to receive calls or call out as well as retrieve my voicemail or text messages.

I have to decided to part from Straight Talk and switch service to another company. I am currently researching other companies that will best suit my budget and extend good service. They also messed up my phone while trying to reset it from their corporate office. I am totally dissatisfied with the dishonesty of the company considering I have never had something like this happen. I have been with them four years and this way of doing business with the customers is unacceptable. They receive no stars from me.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Phone and plan for 6 days now finally got the phone to work on the 5th day still no data spent an hour-and-a-half on phone with customer service that could barely speak English. Turn phone and on and on and off at least 6 times still no data but yet I have 6 days gone off of my plan. I'm sure they can sell you unlimited data if you cannot even get data.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I bought tablet activation kit from Walmart. I had to call customer service to activate. They said sim was for phone not tablet and to return to Walmart and get another one. I did this then they said that sim was for hotspot. They said they would send me a sim. I received the sim today and while trying to activate sim, I was told an iPad was not a tablet. Don't know what it is but not a tablet. They knew all along I had iPad. He stated the only data plan I could use was the $35.00 a month data plan. The only reason to use Straight Talk is to save money. If it's this much trouble to activate don't know what will happen if I have real problem. Will never use this service. I'll go back to Verizon.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Okay, so my phone has terrible signal. My phone has been checked and it's fine. My wife has the same service and has signal and I don't. I get texts days later, I get phone calls from people claiming I called them when I didn't. Called tech support and there was no simple answer. They require you to call from an alternate number to fix the problem. Totally illogical as most people signing up with Straight Talk are budget people and most likely have no other phone. My data has never worked. Again, I've had my phone checked out 5 times now by 4 different people and they all say the phone is 100%.

I'm pretty patient with foreign accents and stuff but there are two problems in this situation, first problem is wherever the tech support is located has a very very poor signal to be hosting clear calls and the second problem mixed with this makes it almost impossible to reach a solution which is the very thick accents they have. Poor phone quality mixed with broken English and heavy accents highly complicates an already frustrating problem. I'm easy to please usually. I've never written a review about anything before now.

All I expect from my phone service is timely texts and satisfactory signal in places where everyone else has a signal, and I also am getting extremely pissed about people calling me agitated that I called them when I haven't. I even screenshot my call log and sent to a guy to prove I never called him. Yet, these people now have my number...how is this big of a cock up possible? According to tech support it's a ** mystery. Want my advice? - conduct your national communications via mail, it'll be more accurate and quicker. I'm over it, this ** sucks.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I was initially asked to do a review by Straight Talk but after they reviewed my response they choose to not post it to their site. Even though this actually occurred... I bought a phone online that I never received. I never received a tracking number but the one from FedEx. The number that I received once ordering the phone I was unable to use, but was told repeatedly that my order was not yet processed. I ordered my phone online Friday evening. The reps were rude when I was trying to track my phone. I live in a apartment therefore, it was even more important that I knew when my phone arrived so I could make necessary arrangements so someone was at my place to receive the package. I was yet again told Monday the day prior that my order was not processed yet even though that Tuesday I received a message from FedEx that my phone was in transit.

I contacted FedEx to see if I could pick it up from the FedEx store. They told me that Straight Talk has to allow that option to be available which it was but I had to have them (Straight Talk) make it available in their system. I contacted Straight Talk and was told they didn't allow that option, I was repeatedly asked for information regarding a serial number that I wouldn't possibly have since I never had the phone in my possession. I spoke to three reps. One decided to hang up on me and the other decided to try and talk over me.

I spoke to two different supervisors. One I lost connection with due to where I was and the last supervisor I spoke to after the failed delivery. I was informed by a FedEx rep that they sent my phone back to the warehouse instead of allowing me to pick it up from FedEx. The supervisor at Straight Talk told me that they were going to refund me back my money and told me that I would have to reorder my phone. Which makes no sense at all, I asked if they would just allow me to pick it up from FedEx and they told me I am not allowed to pick my own phone up from FedEx which is the craziest thing I have ever heard. I will never use Straight Talk or recommend it to anyone. I have never gone through that with any company before.

Original review: March 11, 2018

This is the absolute WORST company in every category. I ordered a iPhone 6 on 2/12/18. It arrived quickly. After taking it out and activating it great works no problems till you are not connected to WiFi. Couldn’t access mapping, emails, internet anything that required you to use data. Called customer service. What a joke. They barely speak English. One transfer after another and another. Hours on the phone and on hold. Finally find out my phone isn’t reading that phone's data. I was told by one of their reps that they have this issue often and I should just go buy one straight from Apple. Which I did. They also initiated the return process. I should receive a prepaid return packet within the week. That was 2/23/18. Made a few more calls only to be transferred 20 more times. Got disconnected a few and bottom line got nowhere.

Today still no package. Called early. Was told I had to call another number for a refund so I did. Was on hold another hour or so. I was then told it’s past the 30 day return policy. Well ok my phone was a 90 day so I’m still within my time and mind you it is now 3/11/18. 27 days into the “30 day return” so why hassle me. The rep told me my phone is in working condition. I explained I knew that since I paid Apple $800 for a new iPhone and I can’t use a broken phone. Only to find out there was never a record of any of my calls. But you're holding forever so they can note your account. At this point I’m fuming. I ask to talk to a supervisor that took an additional 30 min. Finally I’m gonna get somewhere. NOPE.

This extremely rude women gets on the line still arguing with me that I’m over my “30 day” that I was able to return the phone. That if I had a issue I should of called in sooner. I went through the whole thing all over with her. Told her I also was texting tech support and had screenshots of the conversation reporting the issue on 2/23/18. She then says mail it back for a refund. I ask for a ref number. Something to document the call. She said just sent the phone FedEx and hung up. Now keep in mind I have no ref number, no address to return it to and no more patience. Please save your self the hassle and use another company. They only want to keep your money. They don’t want to fix any of your issues. They will keep pushing you off till that “30 day return policy” is up.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Purchased a defective Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy cellphone. Overheating just by LOOKING at it. Waited 3 days for a FedEx pre-printed label to return Mr. Overheating back to Straight Talk. Mailed it off, FedEx loses the package for 3 days. Finally, the phone is on its way. Three more days for the 'REFURBISHED' phone to get to me. Open the package, turn the phone on. Error message says: 'PHONE OVERHEATING!' Once again, Straight Talk and I are in battle. 3-5 business days for yet ANOTHER pre-printed FedEx label and 3-5 ADDITIONAL days for yet ANOTHER 'refurbished' unit. I wish I'd never heard of Straight Talk. Extremely disappointing customer service; no compassion; like talking to a pack of robotic drones! Update: I sit here with no phone AND they have my money.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Straight Talk is a overall excellent value. If you bring your own phone and it’s unlocked you can choose which carrier network (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint) that you want to use. Simply by ordering the proper SIM card. There is now no throttling on unlimited data plans. Most technical problems including activation can be solved with their app. The unlimited plan cost of 55 dollars beats anything out there.

Original review: March 8, 2018

It all started when I was shopping for a new phone. For almost a year, I had used Straight Talk. Never had a problem with the service. That was until I decided to upgrade my device. I went to the Straight Talk website and began researching their available devices. After thorough research I settled on the Samsung Galaxy S8. I chose to lease a phone this time, as I didn't want to fork over that much money at once. So I decided to lease. When the phone got to me, I followed the steps to activate the phone. I kept having trouble. So I called Straight Talk customer service. I spent hours every single day for over a week trying to get help from foreign agents who just kept passing me from office to office and eventually, almost two weeks later, told me I had to contact the leasing company SmartPay. I then would spend almost an hour to speak to a representative, every time I called, who in turn referred me back to Straight Talk.

So then this hellish cycle would begin once more. Finally, both Straight Talk and SmartPay told me that there is nothing that can be done. Except to return the device. I asked for them to send a parcel so that I could return the device and receive a refund. Yet, here I am with a device that I cannot use, unless I drive thirty miles away, and have yet to receive a parcel to send the device back. So I'm pretty much stuck with a device I can't use. And to top it all off, I was told by SmartPay that I had refill my minutes myself every month. I don't have a problem with that. However, I do have a problem with them stealing $58.30 from my account which they said was to refill my minutes AFTER I had already purchased minutes myself. Whatever happened to the days where companies were actually held accountable? Because this is ridiculous. I'm a disabled vet with three combat tours on a limited income. Where is the justice? Because I don't see it.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I paid my Smart Lease payment off February 27th and it is now March 7th and they still haven't taken the hold off my account. They have my phone locked so it is not active and I can't refill my service card. I have been on the phone with them every single day and they keep telling me they have told the support team. I have asked for the highest smart pay specialist people I can talk too about this situation so they can activate my phone again. This is complete **. They have taken my money and won't turn my phone back on. They won't help you at all and nobody seems to know what the hell they are talking about. They always say they can't do anything on their end. So if you miss a payment be prepared for them to not turn your phone back on. They won't do anything about it. Do not go through smart pay at all they will screw you over. Also Straight Talk won't help you either.

Original review: March 7, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I would. This is the second time it has taken over a month to resolve issues with my mother's phone service with this company. I was told we would have a new SIM card 2 to 3 business days. We placed several calls to them about it in 3 weeks time period and finally 1 person was finally able to do their job and send out the SIM card which we got within a week. When activating the SIM card we were transferred to corporate where the service rep kept telling me that they gave courtesy service for the month where I had given the PIN number to the refill card to the 1st guy I spoke to.

So this guy was trying to make it seem like they gave us a month for the troubles we went through. When I told him I would like to speak with the corporate gentleman I spoke with (that actually did send the SIM card) he rudely replied that he would be the last person I would speak to about the account. That was a big mistake because I then threatened to report to the BBB about their poor service. Miraculously I was able to speak to another person who wasn't very friendly either but at least not as rude and she compensated 2 weeks of service for the MONTH we had been dealing with them for service. ZERO STARS FROM ME... will be looking for a new phone company soon...

Original review: March 6, 2018

So they say no contract. I bought phone did not get service I paid for then when I was trying to go to another carrier they have my phone blocked so I can't go to another carrier and they refused to give code to unblock to technician because they say the FCC requires I have the phone for a year. Remind you no contract. I have had my phone long enough for them to unlock. I never sign nothing. Not my first time with this company but it is my last.

Original review: March 5, 2018

So at the first of the year I thought I would buy me mins due to the fact my car wasn't running right and needed a phone. So I call and they send a new SIM card. Not a problem. When it comes in they messed up and switched my boyfriend's number with my phone after saying no that was not what we wanted to do. Then they have to send ANOTHER SIM card. Then when that one comes in we have to get another sent because that one was defective.

So finally 2 months later I get a working phone, but only for 2 weeks before it went off. Then when I call they say it's the sim card. I tell them I don't want a new SIM card just my money. So then they proceed to tell me it's not the sim card. It's the phone. This is by far the WORST PHONE SERVICE company I have ever been to. They have no clue what they are doing. You might as well go to Net10 because at least they know what they're doing.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was leaving Verizon after 16 years. Transferring my phones and tablet to Straight Talk. The problem came from the tablet. I checked the IMEI number and it was ok to go to Straight Talk. I called c.s. to set up the tablet and thought all was fine until I took my tablet to Cricket. The number had not been switched to s.t. I ask c.s. how could I have service with their SIM card if it hadn't been switched. They were rude and they kept saying I had no service with them. Now because it wasn't transferred I owe $120.00 phone bill @ Verizon. I will transfer all our remaining phones to Cricket.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs