Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1191 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I bought an iPhone from Straight Talk and when I received the phone it did not work. I contacted straighttalk the next day to replace the phone and they keep telling me they can not replace the phone and to contact Apple. I have spoken to over 10 reps and they all say that they can not replace the phone that I paid in full!!!! Horrible company!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

The worse customer service ever. I had to send my phone back to be repaired..that was 10 mos. ago. Still no phone. Switched to Verizon and ST charged me 2 days later for my service and refuse to refund my money.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Straight Talk gave my number away to some other person! There was a minor issue on my end so they gave my number away. My family tried to call me, however, some old woman answered the phone so I called and they told me they removed it because I forgot to pay my bill. I am a forgetful person. AT&T doesn't do that so why do they have to do it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Over 12 years with Straight Talk. Notified they were interrupting services until I switched sims. Offered a free month for doing so. Cool. Broke phone. Bought new phone. Put new sim, in new phone. Called to transfer numbers. Rep says 2 hours max. Hour later, old broke phone disconnected from network. New phone never connects to network. Online account erased, needs set up again. Reward points gone. Dashboard says 2 inactive lines with new nicknames.

Next day, call, could take up to 24 hours. Port reps notified, ticket issues, escalated, will take 24 hours. Only explanation given for online account was it needed to be verified. Literally no other explanation. Asked to elaborate, was asked in return, is there were any other issues. Old broke phone reconnects to network. New phone still not connected. Next day. Repeat all that with every rep saying 24 hours. Now old broke phone randomly connecting and disconnecting from network every day. 5th day!! Old broke phones service plan expires on 5th day. Old broke phone useless. New phone useless. Online account, useless. Customer service...Port reps, 24 hours, anything else? Useless. Worst rep contacted yet on 5th day. EXACTLY the same speech from each rep. No longer interested in straight talk, regardless of a free month owed. They could offer me a year and I wouldn't take it at this point. My only regret is that after 12 years with this service this review won't cost them the millions they deserve it to.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

First caveat: I used them in 2014 and they worked perfectly. It was super easy. I bought a sim card, put it in, paid monthly, and it worked perfectly. However, I got it again in 2022, last month. I was visiting the USA (I work overseas) and I needed a monthly sim card. I decided to use Straight Talk again. The Walmart employee warned me that the card simply doesn't work for many people, and that Walmart will no longer offer refunds because so many are returned. I foolishly decided to try anyway because my phone is very similar to the one I had in 2014. There is a number you can text to test compatibility, but without data you obviously can't do that anyway, making it a useless feature.

It was very difficult to even set up- you had to enter repeated different codes and choose one of 3 sim cards, and use the website as well. It was a pain and took a long time. I don't understand why it wasn't simple like every other Sim card I've ever installed in my life. It simply didn't work after saying it did. No data was received. I called the customer service line. After waiting over 45 minutes, they took about 15 minutes to verify my identity, then transferred me. I waited 45 minutes and was then cut off. I called back. 45 minutes to talk, to the first person, 45 minutes to transfer. The guy asked me the exact same verification questions. Took my number and said he'd call me back.An hour later, I get a call and answer it immediately. What I get is a rapid-fire message in SPANISH that tells me something, then hangs up without repeating.

I got one more about a minute later. Not just in Spanish, in ultra-rapid Spanish too fast for me to understand- I lived in the Dominican Republic for a year so I can speak and understand Spanish, but I couldn't understand the message. That's it. It's closer to mockery than customer service. It's basically a scam. It simply doesn't work and the customer service is worse than a joke. The worst service I've ever used. Please don't patronize this service and let it go under.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Spent over 30 minutes with Straight Talk because they didn't successfully switch my plan. Instead, they double charged me. The first representative I talked to didn't understand what I was asking for. I told her 10 times that I needed to cancel one of the plans and continue auto pay with the other. However, I needed to be reimbursed for the plan that I attempted to cancel but it apparently didn't go through in the system. Rather than reimbursing the 55 dollars that was just taken out of my account today, she could only reimburse me for the 45 dollar plan that was taken out a couple days ago.

I explained to her that I didn't need the 55 dollar plan anymore as I do not use the data. She said she wasn't able to refund the 55 dollars because I was already using the plan. I told her that there was no loss on their end as the plan was starting today and I had not gone over the data. She told me there was nothing she could do about it besides refund the 45 dollars. I told her to just do it and cancel my auto pay. I'm thinking of ending my 8 year relationship with Straight Talk. That was a horrible experience and I lost money and time from it.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Customer service sucks. Called last month to change plan. Online chatted with one employee and personally talked to second employee. Both times I was told it would be changed this month. Get a reminder of auto refill and it hasn't been changed. Call today and was told it was never changed. Both times English is not the primary language of the customer service employee and it is very hard to understand them or get them to understand you. The price and quality of service of the phone is good. I recommend they get English speaking employees for their customer service jobs. Quit outsourcing to save money. It just makes your customers more pissed off and likely to go elsewhere.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I know that many small cell phone providers have a reputation for poor customer service but I have never encountered such bad customer service as I got recently with Straight Talk Wireless. I got a new phone and decided to try Mint Mobile as I have heard good things about them. In order to keep my same phone number, I needed to port my phone from ST to MM. After hours online and on the phone, I still have not been able to accomplish anything. I think ST is using the delaying tactics hoping I will get frustrated and change my mind about moving to Mint Mobile. They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Don't get tangled up with Straight Talk - they are totally unethical.

Original review: July 17, 2022

So with the transfer of the new SIMs card for Verizon network my phone got fried when calling to get help. It is now took 4 days and I also have to wait three more days for another new SIMs card after buying a new phone to even get service. So this now puts me seven days without a phone and $400 in debt and no one in technical support knows what they are doing because they do not communicate between each other evidently nor do any of them speak language that you can understand. And no one is in charge.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Purchased new iPhone and sim card - called them to activate. Spent 1 hr 45 minutes with one call center person who stated she couldn't complete activation and I had to call back on a different phone (not my new cell) and she would put all information in the notes. I called back from a friend's phone and the employee said there were no notes. This employee began try to upsell me to a new plan - 45 minutes into the call she "threatened" that unless I did upgrade I could lose my service and the phone wouldn't work. I hung up.

Next day my phone stopped working!! I called their customer service (on a friend's phone) and reached a woman who I practically pleaded with to please active my phone. At first she began the same dialogue regarding upgrade and but after more pleading on my part, she agreed to activate my phone with my current plan and autofill. NEVER in my life have I experience such horrible, deceitful lack of customer service. I'm researching new wireless service and would suggest avoiding Straight Talk wireless - the cheap plan is just not worth your sanity!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information