1.36/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2095 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Bought a new phone - then when the billing began the phone cost doubled. I don't want to go over this story yet again and again (I have emailed them and BBB and Attorney General and several reviews) but basically when I purchase the phone I was given conflicting info on the phone and website -so I chose to do a live chat throughout before actually purchasing - confirmed price and payments etc. I saved the transcripts and have everything in writing - what I was buying and what I was paying for- the Straight talk employees on both the live chat and phone call both guaranteed the price and confirmed everything was good. ALL lies. I cannot send back the phone because there is an early payout fee and or a return fee- I have been robbed. Also another HUGE problem is ever since buying the new phone I now receive about 10-15 phone soliciting calls a day - ironic or did they sell my contact information to these solicitors.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

My son went from an iPhone 5 to a 6s from Wal-Mart. I always add minutes through the app. The new phone was on 2 weeks before they cut it off. After 3 days I actually spoke with someone who resolved my issue and they cut it off AGAIN the next day. They proceeded to tell me I have to buy another refill card or show receipt of the last refill card. Once again I purchased through the app. Last rep used order id and my bank card number. Why Do I have to send a receipt of something you already have. They tried to talk to me like I was slow. One guy hung up on me when I told him I'm a call center rep myself and far from stupid. Now I have to spend more money so my Diabetic son can have his phone for emergencies. Looking for a new service provider. Sad... I have 3 phones through this service.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

This company has been charging me for an extra phone for a whole year, I contacted them last year to inform them and they had told me that they will fix it. Come to find out that they've taken an extra $160 out of my account over the last 4 months at least. They refuse to fix to it, they did say they cancelled the charges this time (again) however they refuse to refund any of the money they have been taking. They told me I have to contact my bank. So I'm filing fraudulent charges against Straight Talk for the second time in as many years. Do yourself a favor and take your money and time elsewhere because this company is worth its weight in manure.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using Straight Talk for almost 9 years. Since their phones were lacking, I continually have made use of the "Bring Your Own Phone" plan and usually haven't had too big of a problem with the phones working other than them being time-consuming to set up. I've always elected to be on auto refill. For many months, I've been magically booted out of auto refill wondering why my phone isn't working, but hey, you get what you pay for, right? I thought, well, Straight Talk is cheap enough for me to put up with these headaches. I've finally decided I've had enough.

With my current phone brought to the plan that is "compatible," after it was first set up, the GPS wouldn't work. After several phone calls (and hours), the GPS finally started working after I was told "That should have been switched when you were first set up." Fast forward, GPS works, but now, I am unable to see or send picture messages or use the bluetooth in my car--these are all things that worked while the GPS did not work. I called Straight Talk today (1 month later) to find out that they cannot check these things because I don't have any more high speed data to use. They told me to check my wifi connection.

I explained that there is no trouble with my wifi connection. However, unless I buy more data, they will not look into it because they don't see it as their problem (even though I had plenty of data when the issue started happening). I spoke with a customer service rep and a supervisor. Neither of them were the least bit helpful. After years of struggles, this is the last straw. I can no longer stick with a company that randomly disconnects my phone AND is entirely unhelpful. Even though I love to save money, I will look elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

After several years with Straight Talk, I upgraded my phone. New Straight Talk brand phone kept disconnecting from service. No error message showed up. I just realized the hard way when texts wouldn’t go through, or someone who tried to contact me via cell emailed me and I got the message on my laptop. None of the customer service people would advise me to get a new phone until the fourth time this disconnection occurred. Walmart discontinued the phone, but didn’t tell users. Still in the process of returning that phone.

When I tried to order a different phone, the website glitched and placed two orders. Even though I never got a confirmation screen at all, only a screen that said my request couldn’t be processed. They refused to cancel one of the orders, even though this was entirely the fault of their shoddily run website. I now have one defunct phone, and I’m waiting on one hopefully functional phone, along with an additional phone I did not want, that I’ll have 60 bucks tied up in for over a week. Straight Talk is an inexpensive carrier, but that cheap cell service comes at the cost of poor customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

As a general rule, I will only post positive or informative reviews - my experience with ST was so bad, I am obliged to go negative and hopefully save a few poor souls the fate I incurred. We've been ST customers (with two accounts) for almost four years, and have no complaints with their BYOD/auto refill service. However, we recently found a new/less expensive carrier and set forth to transfer one of our two accounts at the conclusion of its end date (the second we will move in a few months).

Over a three day period and approximately 14 hours of calls between ST porting dept and the new carrier, we finally got service established with our new carrier. A LOT happened in those 14 hours - with the notes I took, I could write pages of what I am not convinced were deliberate attempts to lie and obfuscate the porting process to our new provider. When our new provider was prepared to complete the transfer process there was always a last minute roadblock. A port was magically locked, or the some detail with the information that was provided to ST from the new carrier became miraculously 'inaccurate.'

My personal favorite was (at about hour 6 of phone calls with ST) I was asked to provide a ticket #, when the previous half dozen customer reps/tech support people, not once, mentioned the need for a ticket number - THOUGH I had asked several times how my issue was being tracked on their end. (I was told the phone # was the tracking method.) It became what I perceived as a never ending circle of lies, ostensibly so that ST wouldn't lose our business. Finally (stupid me) I got the idea to conference in the ST and new carrier rep, and voila...a Festivus miracle! The problems on ST's end seemed to evaporate, go figure?! Hence my warning (borrowed from Hotel California) to all who opt for ST service!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Reps need better training for upgrade activations. When calling to get a sim card, I ended up buying both CDMA and GSM cards because they weren't sure which one I needed. When I called to activate, she had me try the GSM one first and then she said it wasn't the correct one and to open and insert the CDMA card instead. It didn't work so I was transferred 3 times and was on the phone over 70 minutes. Finally they gave me a case number and a phone number that was good for 2 weeks, in case it took that long to get it fixed. I was assured my old phone would continue to work, which it did not.

The next morning I got up and was extremely angry because I needed my phone to call back but neither worked. I decided to remove the CDMA card and try the GSM card again. I powered the phone back on and sent myself a text which was successful. I got online and LO and BEHOLD the account was reflecting the GSM sim card. I attempted to call the number and it went through. When I told them I changed cards back to the first one tried, he tried to tell me that the problem was with Straight Talk and I needed to put the other one back in. I told them to close out the case because it was working and I was not waiting for two weeks to have them fix "their" system. He thought about it and finally agreed. I wouldn't have even bothered to call them back but the rep insisted that I had to let them know if it was working. Well, it was working but no thanks to Straight Talk

I attempted to submit this review on the Straight Talk website and received the following response: "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!" They filter out all negative complaints to their site. Censorship!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Every month it's a struggle just to have service. They don't give you what they promised and have horrible customer support. I bought a unlimited data card. Expecting unlimited data. I am not able to afford WiFi so I use my data to stream music and watch YouTube. 3 days before my service month ended they shut off my data. I called. They said I had violated the terms of service by just using the data. Literally just using it "too much". I had not used it past 20 gigabites of data 5 more than the $45 plan. I felt robbed. If using data the way it was meant to be used as mobile WiFi is against their terms of service then I feel that they should stop marketing it as mobile wifi. Overall I would never recommend Straight Talk to anyone as I feel like they are just stealing from people.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Bought a phone that stopped working after a week. Posted it back for a replacement. 6 weeks and 5 ticket numbers later, still no phone. After multiple calls to corporate and another 10 days, we agreed on a Samsung S5 in compensation for the time and loss of money. 4 more days and the phone arrives. I thought yay finally, but it wasn't to be. They sent a Samsung lunar valued at $50. Not only that but it had been reconditioned. Refusal to reimburse my money or send the agreed upon phone. After 10 years with this company this is the service you get. I have now moved on and will never use this company again.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I am very disappointed in the auto refill. After having service with Straight Talk for some 8 years now, I have always used auto refill with no issues. Now each month the refill date moves up a day each month till it is now debiting out my acct twice some months because not every month has 30 days. I think this is a rip off to us customers. Fix the service plans to match the calendar dates! I just had to cancel my auto refill because I am on a fixed income which does not come till the 1st (which some months it comes earlier due to weekends or holidays), Straight Talk's only solution to the issue is for me to sit here without service till I figure out a convenient date to refill that will work with my check monthly.

Seriously? That's the best they can do... I think we the customers needs take their ** back to court, like we done over the unlimited data they cheated us out of. So for those wanting to enroll in auto refill program... Make sure you're not on a monthly income or week to week check, because you won't be able to cover the refill. Eventually the dates will move up till they move up past the date you get paid, especially if your service expires anywhere near 1st week of the month.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've had Straight Talk for years now. The phone I have now Samsung 7. I bought by payment plan. Which the way it is treated and spoken S.T. makes it sound like you're buying the phone thru them. SURPRISE, you're not. About 3 times now my phone's hooks up with the printers at work. I've had to call to get help to get it back to S.T. Wireless. One customer service female was so rude about everything. I promise you I was not rude to her. I was taken back by how she was talking to me.

6 months ago I could use my reward points for a month of service. I was told couple weeks ago reward points can't be used for time. In Dec 2018 I was told I could my reward points to add airtime to my grandson's phone that I pay for thru S.T. monthly. I was told I can't now. I want to get a new phone for a larger one with larger screen. I use my phone for my second job. Not sure I will stay with S.T. and the attitude I get everyone. My first job is working a complaint phone for health care facilities. I don't talk to others the way I have been treated by S.T. customer service.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 and the $55 Unlimited Plan. My speeds are slower than dial-up. I had used 7.43 GB when I contacted Straight Talk customer service. They said they have a right to review my account after I've used 60 GB. Okay, what does that have to do with me? I have used 7.43 GB. They stopped answering. No fix, nothing. My download speed was 0.29, my upload speed was 0.10 on LTE. They will take your money but if you have issues, too bad. Not their problem. Worst wireless company I've ever seen. As I am trying to post this, my speed is so slow that reCAPTCHA can't connect. I'll keep trying until it does.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

When I called to get my payment info changed got into war of words with snarky overseas "SUPERVISOR". When I hung up in frustration her revenge? She reported that I had called in and reported my phone stolen. I am having them pull the call recording to have to prove my case. You think anyone at TracFone parent company in U.S. cares if they have someone who would do something like this? NO! 72 hours they told me to get phone back on and no credit for time lost and threatened me if I go to another company. I contacted my attorney and am trying to joining a class action suit. About time we held these companies responsible for their actions.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Hands down the worst ever experience dealing with customer service. Was told I would be transferred to the department that could assist me only to have a recording come on telling me they were closed, and all this after a 27 min phone call ending with them hanging up on me. I will be changing providers in the morning.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Their website has absolutely no information on where to return a product you purchased. It's very vague. It is very unclear on how your refund will be processed once they receive your return. The name of the place to return it to will change based upon who you ask. The customer service rep I spoke to didn't give me a name at all. What am I supposed to put on the shipping label? There's no clear information. Also, the customer service reps don't seem to really care and half the time you can't understand what they're saying. The customer service rep I spoke to literally spent almost ten minutes looking up where to return the product and still didn't give me complete information. Beware of this phone company. I honestly suggest you go to the mainstream cellular service providers like ATT, Metro PCS, Verizon, or something like that because Straight Talk isn't worth it.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have had my phone service through Straight Talk for about 10 years. Their phone service is ok. However they will steal you blind on the home internet service box thing. I am a victim of Hurricane Michael and I live in Panama City Florida period. I lost my home and had to move out to the country where Comcast was not servicing. I decided to buy the home Internet box from Straight Talk at Walmart and use their wireless Internet. Says the phone service was OK. It came with 2 MB of data and it took me almost a month to use that data when I added a $40 card which was 4 MB of data. Three days later it was gone. I call customer service because when I logged off that night it said I had lots of data. The next morning I had none.

One department said I had lots of data showing but it wasn’t usable. The other department said I had no data and I used all 4 MB in three days really. I don’t have but one device connected and all I do is Facebook and Google. That’s it and I always log off the internet completely. I have decided to challenge this company the legal way and stand up for others that have been ripped off. This company is stealing for people left and right. I lost my home and everything in a hurricane. I don’t need to be stolen from by this company. Anyone interested in joining me can email me at **.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been a Straight Talk customer for over 6 years. I have ok service with my phone - not great but functional - but the customer service is the worst you will ever experience. It is unbelievably bad. I was on the phone for over two hours yesterday and today trying to get the information I needed to port my current phone number to Verizon. They refused to give me the information, kept telling me to do things, I would do them and then they would ignore me for long periods of time and tell me I needed to do something else. After 55 minutes, I asked to speak to a manager, so I was put in limbo for an ungodly amount of time and even though they ignore you, they continue to send warnings that they will end the call if you are not interacting with them every two minutes. She finally told me "that's just our spiel."

After waiting for over 40 minutes for a manager, she told me they would have to call me back. My appointment was for 10:45 PM. I tried to explain that I work early in the morning. She stated that if I wanted the information I would need to take the call... So I did at 10:45 PM. I followed the auto prompts to reach a manager when they called only to get a recording that their office was closed and I would need to call during business hours. Verizon got on the phone with me today and the matter was resolved after 5 minutes. Do NOT go with Straight Talk. Verizon now has a prepaid plan that is less than 1/2 the cost of Straight Talk. It is NOT worth dealing with this awful company.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I'm ok with the plan but may go elsewhere just because this company is highly incompetent. Beware if you order a phone by accident or change your mind, because you CANNOT CANCEL YOUR ORDER. You will have to return to sender then they will process a refund. I have a feeling that getting a refund will be a pain as well. Where in the world are you unable to cancel an order while it is processing before it is shipped? "You can't cancel because your card was already accepted and now it is processing"... Say what? I was placed on hold for over 20min by a "corporate manager" also shipping dept? Hung up, called back, got another who gave me the processing BS.

I asked to file a complaint and she told me to go to court. Go to court, lol really? I literally had to tell her to reopen her note on my account and type exactly what I am complaining about and had her read it back to me. Though she probably deleted it, this company's incompetence is unfathomable. I guess cheap service begets cheap service! Their service isn't cheap enough for this kind of crap though.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We bought my son an iPhone6 during the 2017 Black Friday deal. He already had an Android through Straight Talk so he simply transferred his SIM card from the Android to the new iPhone. He has paid (out of his own pocket) for service through Straight Talk for over a year using his iPhone 6. My husband calls their unlock department and is put on hold for over 3 hours waiting for a representative to come on and help him. At no time did their recording say they were closed!

While he was on hold, I called and chose the call-back option at 10:14 pm. I got the callback at exactly 8:00 am this morning which is how we found out they shut down during the time my husband was on hold with them last night. After all of this, we were told this morning that they refuse to unlock his iPhone 6 because he never purchased a SIM card directly for that phone. He just switched out the SIM card for his Android, which they did unlock. They advertise “No Contracts”. This is misleading because if you are required to have service for 12 months, that is a contracted!

Their customer service is the worse we have ever had to deal with and so rude and disrespectful. It might have something to do with them outsourcing to a foreign country? They are not forthcoming with the requirements to unlock a phone until you have already purchased it. They are not forthcoming with the details (like purchasing a separate SIM card) needed to meet those requirements. Post on their Facebook and they want you to contact them to “work it out” even though they have no intentions of working anything out, they just don’t want the negative comments on their FB page. Stay away Straight Talk! They are nothing but scammers! Period!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Straight Talk phones - where do I start? My 20-year-old son lost his Straight Talk phone in December while out on a horseback ride. We tried to find it, but it quickly became apparent that we were not going to find it and that it was mostly likely under three inches of fresh snow. His friend had an extra AT&T iPhone and offered it to him. He then took the time to travel to Wal-Mart to purchase a new SIM card AND a $45.00 Service pin for the iPhone. When he tried to install it, it wouldn't work.

This is where I come in - I called Straight Talk and spoke to a very nice lady in customer service who said the SIM card had been activated a day earlier and that she would send me a replacement SIM card. I received this card in the mail about five days later. This SIM card install was a success and the phone was up and operating on his previous paid plan. He had a text issuing him a new phone number, but he already had his existing number that he was using. When his phone notified him that his time was about to expire, he tried to add the $45.00 that came with the original SIM card. They declined the service pin.

Being a 20-year-old boy and all, he decided that he didn't have the patience to recoup his $45.00 and bought another $45.00 service pin and added it to his phone without incident. Since my son works for a wage, I thought it would be reasonable to see if I could get the $45.00 service pin that he didn't get to use rolled over to his borrowed phone.

I had the original SIM card number, I had the replacement SIM card number, I had the first $45.00 SIM pin, the second $45.00 SIM pin. I had an original ticket number, I had a reference number, I had the first SIM's underlined UPC (did not have the second SIM's underlined UPC), I had the number they assigned him before they knew he wanted his old number assigned to the new phone - I had everything. Yes, I had everything to prove the chain of events. At this juncture, I have spoken to numerous customer service representatives. Some of these representatives spoke such poor English that I could barely make out anything but "one moment while we review some information." I spoke to Charles, Aubrey, Christian, Albert and Peter and those are the names I could understand. I have spent in excess of three hours on the phone with these customer service representatives.

I was passed from person to person, describing each time the events leading to my call. Each time being told they were looking at the information. During my time spent waiting, I became so frustrated, I thought I couldn't be the only one encountering these issues, so I looked at the Better Business Bureau. I could see that they tallied numerous complaints and they had it broken down into different categories, but you could not view the complaints. I assume that Straight Talk must be one of their accredited businesses. So I continued to look on-line and found Consumer Affairs - WOW, what a list of nothing but negative comments concerning Straight Talk AND, they were citing the same complaints I was experiencing.

As I was on hold with Peter, reading the complaints, it became very clear that I would never recoup my son's $45.00 in any way, shape or form. I couldn't help myself at this point and I told Peter that I see all the complaints logged about Straight Talk in Consumer Affairs. I also told him that I had actually thought about buying four phones for our family to use, but considering the delays and lack of effort to resolve such a simple issue, I would never be buying or supporting Straight Talk again AND, that when my son's service expires. I would rather pay for him to be with a different provider than for him to continue with such a scamming company.

One thing during this entire ordeal that I now realize, is that not once did they ask me for the number I was calling from. In retrospect, I should have taken my husband's offer of $45.00 not to pursue our son's $45.00, I would have been further ahead, less angry and not so disappointed that there are actually companies out there that will do anything in their power to not make things right. What I experienced was not customer service, it was a calculated effort of greed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

SO I waited several months for the cheapest phone on this site to be available for online purchase. Once available, nearly done submitting my credit card info online on their site, a live cast person comes to ask if I need help. Not that I needed any help but person asks for me to wait patiently while they check to see if that phone is available at the moment. I had to wait for several minutes... Now I had read elsewhere in someone else's comment to be warned. That they will tell you they don't have and try to get you to buy a different phone. Sure enough that is EXACTLY what happened!

So they would have been happy to take my info & money but had no phone (the 1 had been waiting for)??? Does that not sound screwy people?? Honestly, I was a bit taking back. This all seems very shady to me. I can truly say that it may have just been a blessing in disguise cause I almost paid for... I don't know what would have come in the mail or happened. The Live chat did mention about trying another phone, but when I said, "No. Thank you", they were gentle about it, compared to previous experiences I've had with others who are in the dept for sales. And so we then said our goodbyes. But Come On!!!

So this cheap phone they advertise in my very honest opinion is just to reel you in like bait on a hook, and then get you to buy a different phone that of course charges more. NO THANKS! The entire idea of getting the cheap phone is because it is cheap in price! If I have to pay for a higher price phone I can certainly AND NOW I WILL, take it to a different company with better applications to offer and such. Thanks, but no thanks! Do NOT waste your time with these people!!! I should have took heed of warning from others that posted reviews! Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have had Straight Talk since I was 17 years old... I have always had the auto refill and now that they upgraded their plan to $55 unlimited data I decided to go ahead and upgrade it to that. Well when my service became due they charged me for the wrong plan!!! I got a text just now saying that my data was almost up so I called them just now and spoke to a very rude girl who pretty much told me that I would have to wait till my service end date which is the 25th!!! I just got charged $50 to receive the wrong plan and they can’t do anything about it?...when it’s THEIR fault! Literally beyond mad??? I have been a loyal customer for 7 years and this is how I get treated!?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

These people!!! Customer service sucks and will frustrate you to the max! I ordered a new cell SIM card because the current one I had was not compatible with the new phone I purchased! Straight Talk decided to require a signature for a $.99 SIM card! No one is home at the time of delivery in the middle of the day well because you know people do have jobs!!! They basically told me, "Order a new one and wait for a refund when FedEx sends it back"! No I couldn’t go pick it up from FedEx cause they are over an hour away from where I live! I seriously will make this my last month with them. I can’t deal any longer! The company needs to go out of business if they aren’t going to serve their customers correctly!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Was recently inquired to purchase the 55 dollar plan whereas I always stuck with the 45 dollar plan, I read the fine print. It states that data is restricted at or around 60 gb. Which is beyond reasonable. However I have 3g speeds masked as 4g LTE. I haven't even reached 3 gigs yet and they already killed my high speed. I paid 10 dollars more for the same plan. Try streaming YouTube with data cut. Not fun. Thinking about launching a lawsuit for misleading information and false advertising. I've already gotten two phones. One with the 45 dollar plan, 1 with the 55 dollar plan and literally the buffer rates past high speed are the exact same. You get 4 gigs high speed on both plans and after that, that's it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

The service is great, until you need customer service or tech support. They will waste HOURS of your time "checking their system", but will not resolve your problem nor will they credit you for service you pay for but don't receive. I've been with them about 4 yrs. They haven't fixed the issue or made it right. Have had issues since November, They refuse to refund the plan added 2 days ago when service was working. Spent another 3.5 hours with them today with 9 different people repeating same steps only to Supposedly make it to corporate supervisor on for him to say "I can't change policy," and hung up on me. I still have no mobile data and drop calls regularly. Do not be deceived by their cheap plans, they deliberately waste your time by keeping you on line for hours and accomplish nothing in that time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I wish I could post my picture as proof but do not buy from here. Their reviews are biased. They declined my review of 3 stars on the website because I was honest: My review on website: Product great! Customer service not so much. I had ran into a problem and had to call customer service. Instead of helping fix the problem, I came close to wanting to return the product because their customer service was the worst. They were rude, it took 14 minutes to find my information and then I was transferred to another person and he found it quickly but was very rude. My response from StraightTalk: "Brittany **, Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!"

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased one Straight Talk phone that worked for about 6 months; I contacted Straight Talk and had to send my new phone back to them, they sent me back a reconditioned phone; I was using it before Christmas 2018, and it shut off, saying that I didn't have no SIM Card; I have written to Straight Talk three times regarding my defective phone; no respond back from them. I went to Walmart in Savannah GA last Monday, and the man in electronics sold me a lesser cost phone by Straight Talk which it is now cutting me off while talking and also won't allow me to answer calls.

Today a lady at Straight Talk told me that since the warranty is out on the defective phone that I was using before Christmas is out of warranty that Straight Talk won't send me a replacement phone, but yet they want me to continue paying for something that isn't usable. Straight Talk is ripping people off. I will be returning the Straight Talk phone that I purchased last Monday December 31, 2018 back to Walmart for a refund. Buyers beware of Straight Talk phones; you'd be better off investing in a better company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This was my original review to Straight Talk: "I bought this to use while traveling to areas I knew I would not have WiFi. And it worked just fine, UNTIL I needed to get more data. I purchased more data, leaving on the hotspot as instructed, but the new data didn't appear. I finally called, and they did something on their end, told me to turn it off, turn it on. Then it worked again -- for about 10 minutes. Another 1.5 HOURS on the phone with their support and being passed around to 3 or 4 different people, the final solution was the SIM needed to be replaced. I don't have time for that, as I won't be in current location by the time the new SIM would arrive, so I want to return it. Ok, I can do that. BUT, I will NOT be refunded for the 5G that I purchased that morning, because in that brief period of time when it worked, we used 61M. Will never purchase Straight Talk again. The only reason I didn't give it 1 star is because when it did work, it was good".

I am now giving them 1 star after receiving the following from them about my review: "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time! Submit something new. Thanks again, Straight Talk". There was nothing in the review form about any website guidelines. I had no profanity included in my review, so the only conclusion I can come to, is they didn't post it because it was negative, particularly of their service. Maybe others will find it useful here.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought my son a new phone for Christmas. His previous phone was on Straight Talk with an auto renew. He left his old Straight Talk phone with me. Had been dead for days and I had no charger to charge it so no minutes had been used since 12/25/18. On 1/3/19, his plan auto renewed. We both spoke to customer service on 1/3/19 and were both transferred to the "refund" department (in quotes because I am quite sure that no one will ever receive a refund after talking to this department). Anyway, even though no minutes had been used they were not going to issue him a refund. Buyer Beware, read all of the terms and conditions before purchasing a plan. Everything on there is aimed at protecting Straight Talk and not us, the consumer. They cover themselves well. On anything that I have ever had, if you cancel the auto renew/plan/service, I always get at least a prorated amount of money back.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

It doesn't seem to matter what your problem is, even if it's a flat out false advertisement on their end, they basically tell you to go screw yourself, in spite of the fact that they just screwed you. If actual customer service and working with a company with some sort of integrity is important to you, Straight Talk is NOT THE WAY TO GO! Run far and fast straight to another provider that actually cares about their customers because Straight Talk IS NOT that company!!!

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs