Miami, FL

3.4/5 (1192 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?

While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.

What cellular network does Straight Talk use?

Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.

What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?

Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.

Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?

Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.

Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?

Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I have been with Straight Talk Wireless for 3 years now. It is affordable and I like that I could bring my own phone. However, I was told that my AT&T sim card (bought through Straight Talk) was no longer compatible. I was forced to accept the free Verizon sim. Verizon does not work well in this area, hence the AT&T sim card. After converting to the Verizon sim, my line has shown "inactive" for weeks. I called customer service multiple times only to have the call dropped each time. I am going to be switching to AT&T prepaid. Hopefully, that will prove to be a better choice as I run a store and absolutely have to have reliable service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

I have been a customer for about 7 years (with 4 phones/lines) in my household. Yesterday one of our phones just stopped working (wouldn't turn on). The phone was bought 7 months ago (has a 1 year warranty). I called Straight Talk today to get it fixed/replaced and after explaining what happened, the person I was talking to said she needed to give the call to a manager. She switched me over and I told the next person what happened. That person took my address, email address, and phone number. He then said that a label would be sent to my email, to send the phone (via UPS) to Straight Talk, after they received it they would send a phone back to me. After repeating the address about 4 times, spelling everything, he then said the label would go to my email, again. We then hung up. About 5 hours later, I had not received the label via email, so I called back.

I then got someone that I explained the situation to again, gave the person my ticket #, from earlier in the day, and he then stated that "my request was denied". I asked what request and he said that the ticket was closed and there was nothing else he could do. I asked for a manager or someone that could do something. He said he was not allowed to transfer the call to anyone else. I asked many times to talk to someone in the warranty department, the department that makes the decisions, or anyone higher up. He said he was sorry but not allowed to once the ticket said it was denied. I then told him that we would be leaving Straight Talk before the weeks done. I am very upset that they would not honor the warranty that the phone was supposed to have. This was a phone that was over $300, lasted 7 months, and just stopped working (with no misuse of it). I do NOT recommend Straight Talk, since they will not do honor their warranty!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

I bought my mom a Straight talk phone. Now she has no service. Their poorly trained customer service simply hands up when they can't figure it out. Now my mother has no phone service. That's what I get for trusting these people.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I've been a customer of Straight Talk for a very long time now. This year my incoming/outgoing calls and incoming/outgoing messages does not work at all. Any incoming calls gets sent straight to voice-mail as of January 3rd, 2023. I pay the 495 for a year service. I have not been able to send or receive multimedia messages through my texts since I upgraded my last phone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as of March 2022. I've been hung up on twice by customer service when they transferred me to the higher up to take care of my persistent problem, however me being a long time customer and a screw up on their end does not matter to them. They want me to pay for a new sim card and refuse to refund me the money for the time left under my year of service plan.

It's not that I am upset about having to pay $0.99 for a new sim card but it had nothing to do with the sim card and that it was their company that made the mistake and refused to fix it. 5 people, 2 hang up calls in less than a week at that and not once, "I can send a sim card or fix this small simple mistake from our end" and the fact that I went through all these people and it took that long to find the issue which could have saved so much time and hassle. You constantly get someone who cannot speak English very well. And come to find out the screw up on their end is the phone's IMEI #. Someone put the wrong IMEI # associated with my sim card #. They refuse to fix it without telling you to purchase a new sim card.

Save yourself the headache and go with someone else. It's even cheaper through Spectrum. I pay more with Straight Talk than I would have if I just went through Spectrum or elsewhere. Hope this helps some who may be experiencing the same issues as I am! And if you chose to go through with Straight Talk Good luck. Wish you the best with this service. It was not all bad but after the change in my phones it went downhill and has steadily been declining my opinion and frustrations with this service provider!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

It takes a lot of time and patience to get through to customer service. Calls are dropped. New charges have been applied. I'm being double charged, and when I try to get through to accounting I'm disconnected again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

Customers, people DO NOT GO WITH THIS SERVICE PROVIDER!! They have horrible customer service, They CANNOT HELP CUSTOMERS WITH ANYTHING!! Save your time and money. I HAD AN ISSUE WITH MY PHONE NOT HAVING SERVICE AND THEY COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT! I had to switch carriers. Also every time I called their department would put me on hold and then eventually hang up. Then I would call back and if they would pick up they would transfer me from one department to another and then eventually hang up again!!! Such stupid horrible customer service!!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

I am a very unsatisfied new customer. Let me begin by saying I am not typing in caps to be yelling just making the story easier to read. I placed a call to Tracfone HQ before writing this review in hopes of solving my issue & of course had to leave a message for Ms. ** by grave due to the fact she was not able to answer her phone. So let's begin, on sat Jan. 1st I spoke directly to a ST agent & provided them the IMEI of the phone I had just purchased a week prior & active on WM to ensure it was compatible. I was told, "Yes it will work."

So I bought the BYOP & keep my # sim kit that day, then on Sun Jan. 2nd I switched to straight talk (ST) from Walmart mobile (WM) with the help of a ST customer service rep. The rep had to rebrand the phone from wm to ST so it would work on the ST network. This is where the fun begins, the phone was not rebranded correctly or at least that is what I was told. I made several phone calls to reps & finally had to go to Walmart & directly deal with a wonderful agent named sam. She took over for awhile & helped me for approx 3.5 hrs on mon Jan. 3rd she was disrespected, yelled at & hung up on by a few different reps but was finally able to get an agent to rebrand the phone correctly.

However when this was done they changed the # which left my business # deactive. Now I have been stuck in a recurring 12-24 loop of escalations with customer service reps, technicians & supervisors that all keep assuring me the problem will be resolved "This time" the CSR that didn't rebrand the phone correctly started the issue which was then compounded by the CSR that deactivated my # by not transferring it when she was clearly told too. It is now the evening of Fri. Jan. 6th & I still have a dead business phone #. If the 1st rep that assured me it would at most take a couple hrs on Sun night for the transfer to be completed would have done the job correctly. I would not have lost a weeks worth of contact with my customers which I will be seeking compensation for.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

I will not claim that everything about my experience with Straight Talk was completely horrible. They have great coverage in the area where I live. I'd say about 95% of the time I had good reception while talking/texting. However, that alone is nowhere near enough to make up the awful experiences I had with them. I'll keep this as short as I can, but I would strongly encourage prospective customers to read and consider what I dealt with.

First, whatever you do, DO NOT order a phone through the 3rd party company they are partnered with called SmartPay. It may sound appealing to break up your payments when purchasing a new phone with no interest, but know this: If the phone has a factory defect and cannot be used, they will not replace it. Straight Talk will not replace it. Your only option is to buy another one and keep paying until the useless phone no longer has an outstanding balance. I swear to God, it happened to me less than 1 month after I got the phone.

Both Straight Talk and Samsung agreed that the phone should be replaced and covered under warranty. SmartPay threw their hands up and said "Not our problem. Now pay off the potato we sent you." That alone should have been enough for me to sign up with a good phone company, but I was an idiot and regrettably stayed. I'll skip to the final incident that pushed me over the edge. For several months I was receiving nearly daily texts from Straight Talk urging me to convert to a Verizon SIM card and to get a free month of service. I eventually gave in and they mailed me a new SIM card. It wouldn't work when I installed it and when I called customer service they told me to put it in when my service cut off at the end of my billing cycle.

One day around noon, the phone suddenly had no service/signal. I inserted the new SIM card as instructed, but this failed to work. I had to use my work cell to call customer service again because apparently you can't call them for assistance on their own devices if they discontinue your service. Anyway, I finally get someone on the phone and after a very lengthy conversation, I'm finally told that I needed an activation code to activate the SIM card for it to work. Sounds simple enough, right? Wrong. She then tells me the code will be emailed to me 5-7 days from then. She was dead serious. They expected me to go a full week without a phone because apparently they can't just generate an activation code, which makes no sense at all.

I was never warned that if I gave into the nagging about switching to Verizon's towers I would be phoneless until they finally got around to sending me a code they undoubtedly could have created right then. Or how about send the code when the SIM card is ordered? Why in God's name would anyone think this isn't a completely stupid process? This was 2 months ago and I went out that same evening and signed up with a real provider. I sincerely regret wasting as much money on these people as I did. Don't make the same mistake I did. Avoid this company like the plague. This business deserves to fail and I sincerely hope it does.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

This company has completely went downhill!!! I have been with them for over 15 years and this last 2 years they have been terrible!! Just like now they shut my phone off without warning and when I called they claimed it is because my sim I have been using is no longer compatible with their new networks! Which they are supposed to warn us of such things when we have paid! So I just say, "Fine, send me a new sims" which they made me pay for!! Then I tell them I want to have it activated with my same number and to a new phone I got which they sell the exact same phone!! Then they tell me that that phone will not work on their network. Lmao! Saying it is a CDMA only lol which is also false!! Even Walmart who is a partner of theirs has it showing as both Samsung Galaxy A13 5G A136U 64GB GSM/CDMA!! So they are just trying to sc## people over and make them buy only their phones! It is ** so after 15 years I will be going to another carrier!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

On 01/04/2023, My daughter phone was disconnected because the monthly payment was not received. The payment was suppose to come out on the 5th of the month. After be put on hold for 42 minutes I call the corporate phone number only to be told no one was in and that I should email you. This is the second time this happened and on the first time I had to remind the Customer Service lady that it was suppose to come out on the 5th, Why does Straight Talk change payment dates and not think the customer might not have the money going into that checking account until the date that the customer sets as a payment date.

AFTER 52 MINUTES someone picked up. Customer Service person who called herself Justify told me there was 30 day cycle. I asked her what about months that have 31 day? Is Straight Talk try to get part of an extra cycle? I told her I don't get paid by Straight Talk's cycle and I get paid on the 5th of the month. WHERE IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information