1.70/5
Based on 274 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

1964 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought an iPhone 6 from Wal-Mart and chose Straight Talk as my service. In less than two months the service was so bad I was having to yell into the phone for the person on the other end to hear me. I thought it was the phone until I used my previous TracFone to call my mom and it was the same result. I tried to switch the phone to Verizon prepaid at a Verizon store but Straight Talk refused to unlock the phone. They said I had to keep it for a year before they would unlock it. Luckily I was able to have the 2nd in command at Wal-Mart return the phone and allowed me to use it to get a Samsung Galaxy J7 and even had enough left to get a 32GB micro SD card to boost the storage on it. My point is to warn EVERYBODY to avoid Straight Talk, TracFone, and Boost Mobile as they're all the same company. Service is horrible as is customer service.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Straight Talk is cheaper than going through Verizon and no contract and don't have to worry about going over your data. Service is just as good or better.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

It's taking a very long time to transfer my phone number from Metro. I've been dealing with Straight Talk for several days now. I've talked to supervisors and also I've gone in person to Walmart several times to rectify the problem.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I am a 73 year old woman that feels the Straight Talk plan fits my needs just fine. I never use all the monthly allotted time as I rarely talk more than 2 hours total in a month. I pay about 32.00 dollars a month for my plan. I do wish that they would allow me to carry over some of unused time though.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Straight Talk was very easy to switch over from other major provider. The cost is less with more gigs and the plan seems to take much longer to use up the gigs making me feel like I had been ripped off by my previous provider. I can look at my plan any time with their app and being able to set up automatic monthly renewal I never have to worry about buying minutes. The service runs off of major towers so no change in reception..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have been with Straight Talk for at least 8 and have four phone lines with them. I usually purchase my Straight Talk phones from Walmart, but I decided to purchase a phone from straighttalk.com because it was cheaper than buying it from Walmart. It was a big mistake to buy a phone from Straight Talk online, and I would not recommend that anyone purchase a phone from them unless you are absolutely sure that you will not have to return it. I have been on the phone with Straight Talk for the last 3 days and have spoken to at least 7-8 different representatives trying to return the unopened phone that I purchased.

The phone that came from Straight Talk is on the AT&T network, the one that Walmart sells is on the Verizon network. Prior to me going to the post office to send the phone back I called Straight Talk to make sure I had everything I needed to send the phone back. That representative told me that everything was on the side of the box for the return. Off to the post office I go to make the return. When I pulled the paperwork off of the side of the box I received the phone in there was no return label. I called Straight Talk back the next day, and was transferred to the return department unlike yesterday.

As soon I told the representative that I was calling to get a refund he immediately became rude and very disrespectful. I told the representative I wanted to return the phone because I live in a rural area and I wouldn't get good service with them because I have tried their network. The representative put me on hold and came back to argue with me that I would have coverage in my area because he checked. I restated what I had told him before that I would not have coverage and I just wanted a refund. He then proceeds to tell me that I will not be getting a refund because today was the 30th day for me to get my money back. After going back and forth with the representative about me just speaking with another representative the day before who did not say that, he began to imply that I was not telling the truth and continued to be rude to me.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor he told me that he was the supervisor, and I had to ask him 3 more times to transfer me to another representative. The representative that he transferred me to told me that I could get a refund. I said I needed a shipping label to send it back. The representative told me that it was on the box and that if it was not I was going to have to pay to ship the phone back myself. Once again I went to the post office and I let them check the box to see if I was overlooking it and nothing. After calling Straight Talk back to see if they could e-mail me a label, the representative said that he would. Today is day three of dealing with Straight Talk and I still have no label to send this phone back after calling them numerous times. Straight Talk does not want to give me my money back and they are just giving me the runaround.

I am beyond frustrated and almost in tears after just getting off the phone with them again and having another representative tell me that I should just keep waiting on the label. I don't even know where to turn after all of this. Please do not purchase your phone from Straight Talk online their customer service is horrible and you will not get your money back. I really wish that Walmart would have a place for their customer to call in the states concerning Straight Talk because these people could care less.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Let me begin with saying that Straight Talk stole my data in a matter of two days. I checked my account and had 2.7 GB used. Two days later, I had over 10.00 GB used which prevented me from surfing the web. For this reason, I hope this company will be sued and taken out of business. Issues: My service ends on the 27th of each month; therefore, at 11:59 the coming disconnect my service and it is not until almost two days later when my service is reconnected. Granted I have bought the 3 months of service. Which is the biggest fraud ever!

The company stole my data. After calling the customer service department in India or somewhere else a smarty pants name SARASA told me that she was sorry and needed to buy more data. How dare her to say something like that when it is almost impossible that I have used that much data in a matter of 2 days. So she tried to act smart and told me that she reviewed my records and account and effectively I have exhausted all my allowance.

So I requested to have copy of the records I have paid for, that are generated through the use of my devices and belong to me and as a customer I have the right to obtain any information that could prove me right or wrong. She denied to provide the records and said that they are for the employees of TracPhone to review only, she denied to transfer my call to a higher person and began with an irrelevant information that she read out of the script provided during training in those country where the calls get routed to. It is frustrated that I cannot even speak with somebody in the USA where they have brain and most importantly respect for the customer.

This company had abused me as a customer, violated my rights, used inappropriated the funds I have paid and they don’t deliver their promises to consumers nor do they have customer service skills. This company should be used as an example of the most terrible customer service, the most unethical and unprofessionals. Please please if there is any law that could benefit consumers from companies like this, please let me know. I have never felt so abused and used by a company like this!

In regards to the company, their technology is sucks. Their VR is inoperable and the most retrograde machine. The employees just repeat a script and sound like computers, there is no respect or consideration. For the people that pay their salaries. So my advice is USE another company because this one is like Sprint. But if I need to compared both, Sprints is similar to a Ritz Carlton compared to Straight talk! I wish you zero success and hope to see you out of business soon.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Have had Straight Talk a long time, so far the best deal for me and great data. Never have trouble calling them, just need better people that speak good English!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased 2 ZTE Z291DL hotspots to help support my business with outreach at public events. After trying these out, I anticipated purchasing 8 more. One of the hotspots stopped working after 20 days and no longer connected to satellites in my area (even though I was well within their range). The most infuriating part of this experience was trying to get support in dealing with the issue. I spent 3 hours over 2 days speaking with at least 6 different Straight Talk reps. They continued to have me try the same three things to try to "fix" the hotspot.

After going through one hours of being passed from one rep to the next, the person who was supposed to help assess satellite issues somehow disconnected our call. Instead of sending me to a customer service rep who could really help remedy the situation, they kept passing me to the next rep who kept the hamster wheel turning. This speaks to poor problem solving systems within the company. The last rep I spoke with about returning the product was completely unapologetic, and I barely made the cut off for a refund (must be returned within 30 days). That being said, I think even if the product works, it's not worth it, because if you have any need for decent customer service, you are not going to get it! And the cherry on top is that they refused to post my review on their website. This is poor transparency.

Original review: June 12, 2018

When high speed data turns to slow speed data, it might as well be NO DATA. I watch my bar creep along and at times it just STOPS. IT SHOULD NOT TAKE 20-30 minutes to load a 4 minute video. And right now I'm having issues even sending some texts and emails out.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My Straight Talk phone was stolen. I deactivated my account while waiting for new phone to arrive. When I got my new phone I reactivated my account. I asked to get my old phone number back because I had that number for 8 years. Straight Talk said I could not have that number because I had deactivated it. This make absolutely no sense to me. It was obviously a Straight Talk number, since I had it for years. Straight Talk does not care about its customers. I will be changing my service with Straight Talk. I hope the one that I choose cares more about their customers. After all if it were not for customers they would be out of business.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My cell phone provider is Straight Talk. The plan is really good. It meets all my needs. I have unlimited phone, text, and internet access.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have been with Straight Talk for over 8 years now and have had the same phone number for 13 years, the service or customer service is nothing close to what it was back then. I have been struggling and very upset with them for the last 2 months, I am paying for a service that I am not receiving, I try to use the data and it says I am not subscribed to a data service. The same day I paid for my airtime, it said I was half way thru my data, I have been calling them for the last 4 days and already spoke to over 10 reps and none of them have done nothing about it, I bought my last phone 9 months ago from Walmart.com (not from Straight Talk) and they blocked my phone so I can't change my service to another company until I have had my phone with them for a year. I want to unlock my phone and switch companies because of their fault not mine. Can anyone help or know if we can do anything about it?

Original review: June 9, 2018

Straight Talk allowed another person to steal my pre-paid phone card and did nothing to help the situation. Talked to 4-5 service reps and after being hung up on three times, finally talk to a supervisor who said nothing could be done. Never going back to Straight Talk.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have talked to a total of 19 reps. I finally had to buy a new phone because nobody would help me. I was promised multiple callbacks and only one rep, today, called me back. They promised me 23 days of free service. Even told me they notated it. They ended up having to transfer me to the Sprint side to transfer my number. Once he finished. I ask about the 23 days, the agent practically told me I was lying and that they could not do that so I ask to speak to a manager. He tells me the same and says they can only do 13 days. I want someone to pull the calls because they tell me the issue was not fixed because I never provided a number for them to call back when I did 5 separate times. I provided the same number today in chat and they actually called back. I have been thrown around and lied to. Thursday, you all will be losing a customer due to crappy customer service.

Original review: June 9, 2018

WOW, great service. If you have a problem they will take care of it. Very patient, friendly and professional. The prices are excellent too and you can bring your own phone.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The price per month is very reasonable and you can choose a different plan each month if you want depending on your budget. The only issue I have had so far is using the data available when you have no WiFi. Sometimes it connects, sometimes not.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I pay 55 dollars plus tax every month for my service and I am always fighting to use my internet. I have called the customer service and gone through their quote troubleshooting. And it still don't work. I have contacted Consumer Affairs about this problem. I may be suing Straight Talk for the 3rd time and win bigger. Fix this ** problem before you have problems.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I don't think Straight Talk is worth it. The minutes go very fast and they are gone in no time. If you are on a limited budget you are afraid to use the phone with friends and family because you never know when a emergency might happen.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I didn't have to pay a huge amount for my phone and it does all I need. Just wish the camera was better. The cost of my plan is cheaper than most and I get good reception. I had Walmart Family Mobile before and could not get reception anywhere around here. I am happy with my service.

Original review: June 5, 2018

When I signed up with Straight Talk it was one of the least expensive supporting iPhones. I get good performance but they have lowered prices for low use customers to keep up with the competition. I think there may be better deals now.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am and prayerfully become a former Straight Talk consumer. Like a lot of the reviews I've seen I've had a terrible experience, my experience (which is not the first time) but on several other occasions I buy their 10$ global International calling cards to call my fiancee in Uganda, which was great service until I tried to call and receive the message quote 'We noticed a change in your calling pattern, please contact customer service to review your account.' I call and thought I would get help only to go through 21 customer service representatives plus a few of them corporate, I was given the runaround that many times which infuriated me and the worst of it was when I found out by one of their alleged technical support personal (yeah right) which informs the reason why I have that problem is I call Uganda too many times and my account is suspended for what they allege is suspicious activity, which was humiliating to say the least and right down disrespectful.

A friend of mine also a Straight Talk customer had called them on my behalf was lied to by Straight Talk staff saying they would lift the suspension but to her own surprise she learned she had been lied to by what she thought was a trustworthy company but obviously that trust was betrayed, and then one of the representatives tried to use double talk on me and said they were going to do something (they never did say technically what they were going to do) but they said it would take I'll put it in quotations '24 hours'.

I instantly caught on and told them that it was an insult since being my account was suspended for quote '24 hours' to try and manipulate me into thinking they were really going to do something about it but never did say what it was they were going to do when I asked, this ordeal like the other few experiences went on for hours without any help whatsoever, one of the so called customer service personnel even said he checked and my account was not suspended but it was a lie or else I would have no problem using it. It's a shame to go through such a nightmare with a company that we pay our hard earned money for just to be disrespected and lied to not to mention our trust betrayed. It's very sad to get so frustrated that you cannot help but to be outraged over such extremely poor service, I don't share my experience to be derogatory in any way, but like a lot of customers we deserve better treatment and respect in service we pay for.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Just want to share my bad experience. Purchased "Straight Talk" plan for my iPad in Walmart. Unable to activate. Spent 2 hours with customer support and as a result it seems they do not support iPad. Trying to reimburse my purchase and they are lying to me in my face to avoid reimbursement. Beware.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I had been with Straight Talk Wireless since January 2016. My daughter gave me a new iPhone with that service. They never would have been my choice. I did not have a problem with them until I decided to change carriers. As soon as they get wind that I was changing carriers they cut my service a week and a half early. Transferred out my number before I even have my new phone. I called them and they refused to re-activate my phone even though I still had a week and a half left in my service.

I called them again three days later and ask them to re-activate my phone and give me the days that I had left on my service. They refused to give me the days that I have left but re activated at my phone for less than 24 hours. I had no phone service for over seven days, but I had paid Straight Talk and they cheated me.

My new company agreed to activate my old phone until the new ones arrived. I went to the store to do this only to find that Straight Talk had my phone locked. The old phone had been bought outright so why was it locked. They said it would take 2-3 business days to have it unlocked. That was over a week ago and I have yet to receive an email stating it has been unlocked.

I brought my phone number with me to Straight Talk and wanted to keep my phone number the same. Because Straight Talk cut me off early I could not transfer my number. They would only let me transfer keep my number if I paid for a month (minimum $45) service. Now in less than 2 weeks they have activated my old number to somebody else.

These customer service people are rude and unhelpful. Most of them should be required to study English as a second language. The service was cheap and affordable but the reception was really bad. I had to get a home phone because there is NO SERVICE when I’m at home by the lakefront. The time was frequently an hour behind. In short avoid Straight Talk because the have Crooked Service.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Compared to plans I see advertised on TV for another carrier, I wonder if I am paying too much for what I use. However, Straight Talk is so great in all other things, I doubt I'd be willing to change plans. I live out in the country, yet I always get good reception; that alone is really important to me. I also like that my bill is always the same so I can set it up for automatic payment.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I chose Straight Talk due to hearing how good it works, I was tired of the costly Verizon bill, and now I am having switch regrets. I have had this service for 2 days and HATE it. I live in an extremely rural area, backwoods to be honest, and paying all that money to Verizon did not make sense, when I couldn't get a connection, so by advice, I went with Straight Talk, which I would be better off with a walkie talkie. The only time I have seen 3 + bars on my phone is when I am in town. Once I get outside the city limits, any calls I make or receive are very broken up or they drop. It goes from 4G to 1X real quick, I regret not reading user reviews, but trusting the word of people who I assume just cannot afford or have the credit for a reputable phone service.

And I ported my number, and by the reviews I read, I may have a heck of a time porting to a real phone service. Unless you live in a city or town type area, do not get this phone service, it will only aggravate and disappoint. As far as customer service, I had no issues, the guy helped me set up my phone, was very nice. I guess when I try to take my phone number to another service, my opinion may change.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I had a plan with a major carrier for a good while. It was ok except for the data. The cost of data usage was the big problem. I switched to Straight Talk and the available data was much better and at a lower cost. Actually the entire plan cost less with Straight Talk. A few frills arent available with them but I've either come up with another way to get them or decided I didn't need them . All around, Straight Talk is a great service.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Easy to deal with. I haven't had a reception problem yet in the 6 months I have been with them. I think they could do better on data plans though. Everybody has an unlimited plan now and they seem to be a little costly.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I joined Straight Talk with my own number and now that I want to change to another carrier they will not release my number so I can keep the number I've had for 12 years. They want me to pay to activate my phone with them before I can keep my number. They are garbage and their service is horrible. Customer service lied and everyone I talked to told me different lies. Very unprofessional staying on hold 20 minutes just for them to get on the line and tell lies.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The quality of the phone service has never been an issue. Let me start with that. I was once in Kentucky out in Amish country, and never lost service. The person I was visiting had some other phone service, and had to keep his cellphone taped to his bedroom window to get service! That being said; every single time I have had to deal with customer service, it has had my blood boiling! Just got off a chat with them now, as my bank is charging me fees due to Straight Talk charging me (repeatedly) for autopay that I canceled days ago. It just did the same thing with my son's phone last week. Sometimes, if my payday does not match up with the due dates, or I know I am a little short in the bank, I shut off the autopay feature. Then I can either pay in cash (get a prepaid card at Walmart) or pay with a different card the day it's due, or worst case scenario; be without my phone a day or two until payday.

The person I was talking to via chat has clearly been trained well in "plausible deniability", but not so much in customer service. They kept playing dumb with me when I questioned why I was charged for autopay repeatedly, resulting in bank fees when I had clearly canceled it. As if I was talking to a robot, they just kept repeating: "The payment was declined, talk to your bank." I kept asking why I was charged for autopay, when I canceled it? I also informed them that my bank does not work for Straight Talk, and does not control autopay. I have been a customer for about 10 years. Many of those years, I also paid for the phones of 2 of my kids. At the moment, it is just me and my teenager. As of today; I am switching to another provider. This is just one instance, but EVERY time I have needed customer service from them, it has been a frustrating experience!

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs