Miami, FL

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.58/5

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

BOTTOM LINE

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

CONS

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carrier to anyone looking for quality service at an affordable price.

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as your phone provider.

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
    • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
    • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
    • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
    • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
    While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
    What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
    Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
    What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
    Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
    Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
    Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
    Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
    Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

In 2013 my family was done with ATT so at that time I researched and for only one line and buying the brand new (at that time) iPhone 5 I would pay at the least amount but most likely more than $100 more over 2 years if I went with Verizon than if I 1st bought the phone then prepaid each month. This was not counting Verizon's extra fees (like if I was late paying a bill). I don't like to be wasteful nor over-consumptive so I went from original iPhone 3 (had used for at least 4 years at that time and it still turns on!) to the iPhone 5 which I'm STILL currently using so I can't even comprehend the amount I've actually saved beyond the original 2 years seeing how I'm on 7.75 years now.

I vaguely remember the initial set up was easy. I'm sure if I called Straight Talk I could continue to use this phone but they have been sending out notifications on how the towers/service is being updated and I need to get a new phone (even tho I made sure I got the iPhone 5 with LTE but just never had them turn it on because I live in a rural area) but I do need a new phone because I've run out of memory years ago so I am planning/researching the newest iPhone 12 and various carriers/plans/etc and came across this and decided I needed to chime in since I've used straight talk for so many years.

Living in rural northwestern Pa we only got better than spotty 1 or 2 bars of service In 1 upstairs bedroom about a year or 2 ago so I've really almost never been able to use a cell at my house except on wifi. Don't have to travel far tho to get signal and I would say I average at least several hours daily using cell service instead of wifi. There have only been 3 times I've had a problem with the service, which was the data all of a sudden wouldn't work, everything else still worked good but just wouldn't connect to internet or had no cell data.

The 1st time it happened (probably after about 2 years in) customer service gave me the run around trying to blame my phone so I had to drive 2 hours to Apple store to have them verify nothing was broke/wrong with the phone itself. In the end(after several calls over a few days) what they had to do was have me on the phone while they called Verizon to have Verizon reset my number with the towers, which I can only imagine the Verizon people giving them a terribly difficult time since yes they are terrible to try to understand because of their accents. I think what the problem was is that periodically Verizon updates their towers and my phone was turned off at my house since I didn't get service so it didn't automatically update.

Anyway the next time it happened I knew what the problem was so when I called in I "slowly" explained (making sure I didn't talk too fast so they could also understand me) that this had happened before (I had written down the dates/names/etc the 1st time it happened so idk if that helped) and how it was fixed and they still wanted me to like factory reset my phone but I just said ya I already had done that because I knew that's what I had to the 1st time even tho I hadn't and it only took 1 call this time and 1 the final time it happened so I actually had excellent experience with customer service the 2nd & 3rd times.

I think part of the problem is that when something isn't working with our phones we're already extremely frustrated but to add on this communication barrier really worsens the situation for ourselves because it's not that we just have a difficult time understanding them but they can't understand us either, so when I called the last 2 times I made sure I sounded extra friendly, not frustrated, made sure I was speaking very clearly and kinda slow so they had a much easier time understanding what I was saying. I never have experienced dropped calls or slowed data but I don't rely on it for constant internet access either so a few years back they came out with more plans around the number of Gb of data and pricing so I think I went from paying $45 to $35 now for the same thing.

From researching a little online I think there might be other prepaid companies like straight talk in my area that might be even cheaper but even tho there are several recent bad reviews for straight talk (many seem to be about trying to buy a phone thru their site which I wan't going to do anyway) I think I'm just going to stick with them seeing how over the years I can't even imagine how much money I've saved and I've hardly had any problems only had to contact them 3 times and the last 2 times were quite pleasant and helpful.

They also have a points program so every time you add a service plan you get so many points but you can also write reviews on social media/their site or watch commercials or play games for points which can be used to get a service plan or towards a new phone. I've seen no mention of their rewards program. It's too difficult for me because of this rewards program and also not knowing anyone else in my area who has some other company to inquire about the reliability, to try to calculate how much or if I'd even save by switching to another prepaid carrier.

If in the future I learn that I'd save a lot by switching then I would consider and I would switch if it would save me at least $50/year I figure every penny counts and at least in the area I live in if I can pay less for virtually the same exact thing then it's a win for me! I figure since there's no contract I can leave straight talk ANY time so if something better/cheaper comes my way then I'll choose that or if straight talks service starts to slow or drop calls then I'd switch but I would definitely recommend straight talk and think that if it's a cheaper option in your area then you should try it and see for yourself if your internet is slower or not you can always switch since there's no contract!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

T-Mobile has dropped calls/poor range, awful customer service, lose your balance if you transfer out, and then they highjack your unlocked phone! T-Mobile cell towers are lacking in most areas unless you live in a "big" city. Forget metropolitan areas. I live just outside Orlando...17 miles from downtown. My service is fine until about the 15-16 mile going home. Inside my house it's intermittent connection. I have to leave my neighborhood to not have a dropped call - that is - if I can make or receive one.

T-Mobile has awful customer service both inside the store and on the phone. Do NOT make the mistake and call the wrong customer service number. Yes, T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid are two different entities. Only the right one can help you. When you do call it's always a long wait times and multiple transfers (repeating the same issue over again and again) to get a problem resolved.

T-Mobile will keep any balance you have left in your account when you port out. No refunds. What's worse, after you port out they highjack your phone! I straight-up OWN my UNLOCKED phone. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer and I brought the darn thing to T-Mobile. When I finally ported out to Straight Talk my phone kept telling me it was locked and I had to contact T-Mobile. Seriously?! Another customer service call. They made me download their "T-Mobile Device Unlock" App. I am soooo happy to be done with T-Mobile.

Straight Talk uses either Verizon or AT&T towers (your choice based on the some card) and I chose AT&T, which has been perfect! No more dropped calls and their customer service has been good. I buy month to month auto-refill and save a dollar. No more choosing my dollar amount to load. They also have a rewards program. Plus, I asked them... Straight Talk does not lock your phone if you port out! Bonus points Straight Talk for doing things right.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought a cell phone. Was told be here in one to two days and never showed but when I called they said because of weekend ran late and they said FedEx was at fault. I told them I was mislead and lied to. To get the extra fee requested that fee back and even when I talk to a rude manager she still refused the fee back. Over a few dollars and the employee not trained right.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought and paid in full for a NO CONTRACT phone and bought a NO CONTRACT card to fill the phone. Told the person where I lived and that I was moving in 3 months and where I was moving to and he said, "Straight Talk pings off of other towers so it should work as well as any other service." It worked in my old home for 3 months,, but I moved 17 miles away and it doesn't work in my new home. I have to drive 14 miles before it connects. My previous tenants had Verizon and it worked. My roommate has US Cellular, it works.

Straight has tried for 3 months to make it work but each tech ends saying they can't make it work. But today, one of their techs connected me to WIFI calling and it worked for 2 phone calls then stopped. When I called back the new tech said, "Wifi was not an option, we cannot provide you service." They can't or will not, provide me service, and will not release my NO CONTRACT phone until I have paid for service for 12 uninterrupted months, even though they know it won't work. I cannot afford to pay for phone service that doesn't work and buy another phone and pay for a second phone service. What does NO CONTRACT mean? They won't let me return the phone because the phone works fine. Just not where I live NOW. They suggested since I can't afford to purchase another phone and pay for 2 phone services, I should get on the free phone program, because they are not going to unlock the phone, they don't care if it works or not.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I had no issues with Straight Talk until I bought a new phone online from TracFone. I sent the phone back 3 times as it would constantly freeze up. I asked for another model or a refund, neither of which was supplied due to their one rule that applies to all. That rule states you must use their phone for no less than a year. So they say you have no contract but really you do if you buy one of their Trac Fones. Even when they don't work properly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I purchased a phone after mine died. The website indicate that shipping was 1 - 3 days. I made the purchase Thursday so I figured the phone would arrive by Saturday. On Friday at 5:05 PM I got an email saying the phone had shipped and would arrive on Monday. That's 5 days. I'm not okay with that. Had I had accurate shipping information I would have purchased my phone through someone else. Now I'm trying to contact the company. They have phone numbers I can call if my phone worked but no email or chat options, even though they were quick to chat when I was shopping for a phone. This really bothers me.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue and now I can't get any support. The website says to contact them click below.... There's a spot, way below, that says contact, when you click on it it only has generic links to account balance, order tracking, etc, but no real help. I tried. The chat is a robot. I'm probably going to change service providers after this.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I tried to purchase a new phone on the site but the website was malfunctioning so I called the company. After jumping through a number of hoops, I finally was transferred to the sales department. A day after I place my order for a new phone, I received an email telling me the order was cancelled. I called back and after being transferred three times, I explained that from the verification email I received, they had mixed up the information that I had given them. They finally got the information correct and order the phone again. A day later, I received another email telling me that the order had been cancelled. What is going on with them? Is it poor staff training? Is it inadequate policies or procedures? The answer to the questions is to simply find another cellphone service.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information