1.90/5
  • 1 star
Based on 307 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Straight Talk Wireless

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

1855 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

These people have the nerve to sell me a Alcatel Nova LTE phone that has 1.2 Gigabytes of storage space and the phone comes with 1 gigabyte of preinstalled factory apps, which leaves .2 gigabyte remaining! Yes not even a quarter of a gigabyte left. I paid only $10 for the phone, and it was for my 12 year old daughter for Christmas. She could download only 2 apps and the phone would not even update after this due to low storage space! I called Straight Talk because any phone you buy from them is suppose to have a 30 day warranty with them and I was told if I used the original box the phone came in delivered by Federal Express, I could take the phone to any FedEx location and this sticker on the box is suppose to be recognized by FedEx, and they would ship the phone back to Straight Talk at no charge to me.

So I called Straight Talk back 2 days later and asked them instead of me shipping the phone back, was there any way they could just send me a 4 gigabyte memory card for extra storage because my daughter like this phone and the only issue we have with the phone is the storage space. So I was redirected to a different department where I was not only denied the gigabyte memory card. I was also told that the first Straight talk agent I spoke to 2 days prior when I called, did not know what she was talking about, because I was now being told that, despite the fact that straight talk is selling phones with no extra storage space to download any extra apps other than what is preinstalled on the phone. But now I would have to pay for the shipping fee to ship the phone back! Are you kidding me?

I have never heard of anything like this in my life, and I honestly don't think that a company can legally sell a phone with at least a memory card installed to allow extra storage space. How can they get away with this? If anyone knows anything about this that would be helpful, I would really appreciate it. It's bad enough that they are the only carrier. I've ever seen that in order to use their smartphones you must buy their $45 plan at the very minimum, and anything less than that will not work. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I purchased a Straight Talk iPhone for my son for his birthday. The first month which is now, Straight Talk help activate the phone as well as helping adding the service plan on the phone. The plan is about to expired. I went to Walmart and purchase a new monthly refill card. scratched the service pin number and use the web to load it to my son's phone. It did not work. I tried loading using 611611, got error. I call 611 number and got to customer service. She asked for the service PIN number. I provided it to her. She then told me the is PIN# has not been activate. She will submit the order to her management and to call back in 24 hours.

I called back today, get to customer service person by the name of Michael. He told me the same thing as the other customer rep. He went further to tell me that to take the plan card back to Walmart and buy a new one. I told him before I do that, I wanted to make sure that it is the Service PIN that is not activate and not my son phone itself. I told him that I would try to load the same Service PIN that was not working on my son's phone and load it to my mom's phone. The service PIN worked. It refilled my mom's phone with the same Service PIN that was not working for my son's phone. So I told him, it is not the Service PIN, it is my son's phone. He said he did some adjustment on his phone.

Next to back to Walmart and get a new service plan and try again. I asked him if there is any ticket number for the call that I just made so that if it still does not work again, I don't want to back and explain the whole thing over again. He started get mad and get curt with me and then hang up. I like Straight Talk and have been on it for 2 years now. I have my mom, my husband, my son as well as myself on Straight Talk. It is a lot of money that they made from just my family and this is the customer service they provide me? Unbelievable! They need to retrain their customer service employees.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have been a long time customer of Straight Talk wireless and the customer service has always been average but, after this experience with them I see now the company could care less about the service they provide to their customers. I did a number change a week ago but my old number was still showing when sending text messages to other people. Of course, I called. The first representative I spoke with was not very much help but, she did explain to me that she would set up a call back for me so someone else would be better to assist me. When I received the callback it was from a “supervisor” by the name of Nicki. After I explained the issue to her and she asked me a few questions for verification purposes she asked me for the IMEI number. I gave it to her she asked for additional information that I gave to her and she told me that what she had in the system did not match what I was giving her.

I explained to her that the phone that I have was purchased through them and this is the only phone I have. She then got loud with me and told me that I was wrong. When I started to explain to her that the phone that I have now is a replacement from the insurance company from the previous one that had gotten damaged and that she just may still have the information from the old phone. I was cut off mid sentence and yelled at and once again told that I was wrong. When I asked to speak to a supervisor she told me angrily that she was a supervisor. I told her that I do not appreciate the way I was being talked to and the customer service that was being given was subpar, disconnected the call. This company deserves zero stars. Not only for this last experience but for the lack of knowledge and customer care that their very inadequate representatives have for the customers. I will not be continuing my services with this company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

My kids got the iPhone 6 on Straight Talk for Christmas. They have the $45 plan and from the day they started they can't pull anything up on Snapchat, Facebook, or Instagram. It takes a good 10 minutes for anything to load. Hopefully when I renew their service they won't have this problem again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I've been with Straight Talk since the beginning. I have no complaints on the actual services they provide and offer. They offer the best pricing, plans, and carrier service than any other in my area. Bottom line they continue to grow and expand on what is offered and what you can do. The complaints about a certain phone that is using the Straight Talk wireless network should be directed at the phone manufacturers. I've owned Nokias (best one was the E71), Sony, Huawei, Motorola, and my current phone a LG Stylo 2. (Worst phone for storage and ability to move downloaded apps to a SD card. Keeps logging me off and freezing up because of the limited space it has internal. The phone itself is only a 2 out of 5 stars, this rating doesn't reflect on Straight Talk as they did not make the phone, LG did).

My next phone is ordered and will be a Google Pixel 2 XL. With the new $45 plan bringing the data service back up to 10GB or the all new $55 everything unlimited plan will give the new phone I'm getting or any phone you have the ability to stretch its legs and do what they are designed to do. I've never had an issue with Straight Talk or even its parent company; Tracfone who've I've had service with when they began coverage in my area. Only issue I've ever had was the loss of cell service after a bad storm and it taking an extremely long time to get service restored. Tracfone & Straight Talk have continually learned and grown with the challenges and changes of technology over the years and have stayed within a budget to maintain and offer a quality of wireless network & internet service that other providers continue to raise pricing for and lowering standards of what's being offered.

No company should ever be rated 5 stars, as it keeps them from thinking they are at the top and don't need to improve upon what they offer. So remember that call quality, your data limits, and call reception signals are more what you want from a cell phone provider than the color of your phone or how well you can sling a bird in angry birds. As those details are a part of who makes the phone you are holding in your hand, not the strength of you signal that Straight Talk offers in its services. If you want a no contract, use any phone you want, have a limited income and want enough data to get online and to play games. Then Straight Talk is the service you need and should be using.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

2 times I have had issues with service in the last 2 months. Both times I was told that there was nothing they would do. Today I was having issues with making and receiving calls and no internet usage. The call issue resolved about noon the internet issue finally at about 3 pm CST. I called them just after my calls started working. The robo voice that walks you through your options said "most issues can be resolved by turning your phone off and then back on. Please try this while we connect your call".

I am calling with issue that I am having with the phone I am calling you about. I was told by a person that I should make sure my phone is updated, I am on the phone with no internet no wifi how is this helping. I finally asked if they could check if there are outages in the area. She acted like this never occurred to her at all. After she told me no issues with the area I told her, "Thanks for no real help" and hung up. After I got internet back I did find where they had cut a line to a tower near me and it had caused several issues with service. Use this service if you must but know you are on your own if anything goes wrong.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have a modern phone, NEVER a problem with Verizon or phone prior. 5 days with Straight Talk, 4 days with major issues, mainly texts not going in/out. Customer service-yes, over 2 1/2 hrs on phone with them to hear them blame my phone, apps, etc… No more going the cheap route again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I am trying to get a refund for a phone I bought, and needed to return in box, never used. The first time I called to inquire, the customer service woman was awful and I asked to speak with her supervisor. She then hung up on me. It's been nearly a month and since I sent them my phone back to them, and I haven't seen a dime from these people. Unprofessional and just awful.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Straight Talk aka Tracfone Wireless done with all the games you all play with your customers. I have been talking to headquarters in Miami Florida about a situation I have been having with non working phones, and thought it was funny that when I emailed Steven Ritter (Executive Vice President) he called with a blocked number, and then called again without being blocked, so when I attempted to call back he hung up, so I called again, and he answers, and I say, "Did someone call?" His reply I think I had the wrong number. Ummm... Caller if says Tracfone Wireless, and it was your direct line, and then after I call him out on that he decides to let me know it was him. Yes like he really was actually going to help me. He kept saying everything will be done today. Yea ok. All they say is lies to everyone. They need to just close down completely.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was on the phone with them for 4 days and they could not tell me why I can buy a 2 GB plan and have high speed data for 2 weeks. But I buy a 10gb plan and it uses 10 gigabytes in 6 hours. Not possible. Straight Talk will not do a thing about it. How long are we going to let them rip us off.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This is by far the worst company I must deal with. The agents are very unprofessional, and I think the media needs to get involved with the mockery of what you guys deem as a company! I have been transferred to several departments and the third to last one which was the refunds department, the agent said hello, put the phone down, I could hear everything on the other end... The person then decided to push the buttons on the phone numerous times to annoy me to have the call disconnected then realizing that I was determined to remain, the agent disconnected the call. I have been dealing with this issue from December to which I have been very nice and if I haven't made mention of having the law involved just a moment ago on a call I had, the matter would not have been halfway in the process of getting resolved. You guys will be hearing from me very soon. Preposterous!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I got a hotspot for Christmas. I got the service activated at 5:30 pm. The same night at 8:00 pm I no longer could watch a movie. I purchased a $50 plan that gave me 5 gb of data! When I called to find out what happened it took seven calls because the customer service reps kept acting as if they could not hear me which I turn found out that they didn't know how to explain what data pending meant. I also spoke with a supervisor that also would not respond to me saying hello about we talked for several minutes on this issue. I called back yet again. Spoke with a lady and told her to just shut my service off and she did so without asking me any questions or having any concerns of losing a paying customer. I found them all to be very rude and none of them knew how to do their job! I paid $50 for 3 hrs of their service. What a rip off. At least my Boost Mobile phone hotspot lasts about 3 weeks and it is only 3 gb. Terrible service and a rip off!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I purchased a Straight Talk mobile data device in November of 2017 and a 1gb 30 day plan to try it out. It worked very well and I bought a 2 gb plan in late December. That same day I hooked it up and was online for less than an hour reading my email and checking some offroad websites. Today I used it for the second time and after less than 5 minutes it kicked me offline.

After trying to reboot it and spending hours on the phone with customer service I was told I had used all my data which is impossible. The first plan I bought was half the data and I didn't use all of that in an entire month. Less than an hours use and I used 2 gb of data and there is no argument. Straight Talk says that's what it is and there is nothing I can do about it. It's only $25 but being ripped off is being ripped off. When I logged on my account with them you are supposed to be able to see what your account balance is but that feature was not working today. Anyway be aware of these guys because they sure did steal from me.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Bought a hotspot device and used it for a while with no issues. When it came time to replenish the data I purchased $40 worth on the website under my account. Soon after the device stopped working and I was unable to login to my account. I called customer service and they tried to solve my problem by resending me a link to a new password. Whether I initiated the forgot password process or they, the end result was the same. I still get a failure message because of my password.

After 5/6 calls I got tired of having to spell out my email address and giving my pin number so I asked for a manager. They transferred me to the refund department. So they made the decision for me. Except the refund department was unable to pull my account. What a joke this service is. Horrid customer service. Deplorable customer service.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have been a Straight Talk customer for over a year. I recently found a better value with a different company and had my telephone number transferred to them. Straight Talk gave my current carrier the runaround about transferring my number. When they finally did transfer it, which happened to be the same day my auto refill was to be taken out of my bank for Straight Talk they said my payment was not refundable. The only thing they could do was turn my Straight Talk account back on with a new number for the month I paid for. Why in the world would I want 2 cell phones for 1 month. Was I suppose to give my new Straight Talk phone # out then tell people sorry after a month no longer good. Really!!! I have never been treated with such horrible customer service in my life. They were not willing to work with me at all. I was told by one representative too bad don't know what to tell you and they hung up on me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Recently, I ported 3 numbers over from my AT&T account to Straight Talk. Although the price is right, their customer service is horrible. I was transferred over 3-4 times. Representatives are rude and lack the knowledge needed to do their jobs competently.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Brought an refurbished iPhone 6 for my daughter from Straight Talk about two weeks ago. Phone stop working on Christmas eve at 71% battery life. Tried resetting it. Called Straight. They told me to call Apple, called Apple they said it will cost $300 to fix. Called Straight Talk again. They gave me a number to call to fix the phone. The problem with that number is you only have two option to pick from. Pick the Straight Talk option sent me back to Straight Talk.

Make a long story short I finally got in contact with service net by hitting zero multiple times for them to tell me they can not fix the phone because it’s an manufacture issue. Called Straight Talk back they said they don’t have the tools to fix iPhone. So I ask them, "Why sell the phone if you don’t have the tools." Call Apple back. They gave me an repair number. They will look at the phone to see if they can fix it because it’s still under warranty. But if it’s water damage or the problem is not under warranty they will send it back. Customer at Apple was 100 times better than Straight Talk.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have been trying to get this resolved for a month. I sent back the new phone as it does not work in my area, no signal. Straight Talk CSR did not hear the part that I said no service and replaced the phone I had sent back. The phone I sent was a new phone. They sent me a refurbished phone as a replacement. Now they want to make me pay to send the phone back to them. Their mistake but I have to pay. I have called multiple times and never can get this fixed. Meanwhile SmartPay is taking auto pay from me on a phone I cannot use. How did Straight Talk get a A+rating from BBB is what I like to know.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I had only had my phone for a few months when the keypad stopped working and was told I'd need a new phone. I went and purchased the new phone as well as two phone use cards. I used my service 2 days when I was told I'd used my data. On the front of the card it states clearly UNLIMITED talk, text and data usage! I was on the phone 2 hours and 30 minutes and transferred to several different people! 6 to be exact. I finally got a manager who assured me the problem had been straightened out, And then told I'd get service for the month at no cost. Well, I gave them overnight. Woke up next morning and still can't use WiFi! They are so wrong! I've paid for TWO cards, one to call overseas.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The worst company EVERRR to be made. I never receive half of my "supposed" missed calls. People keep telling me they were calling me which I never receive. Sometimes it takes up to 40 seconds before a call is actually made, my pic texts never go through, and more than half of my calls are dropped consistently or I'm distorted for half the call or the other person is mute!!! Their internet sucksss you can't use anything without WiFi. Horrible horrible horrible. Saving $20 is not worth the hassle and stress this causes. Not to mention this is my work phone which I'm losing business thanks to Straight Talk's ** service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I purchased a Straight Talk phone 3 weeks ago. The SIM card just died. They will not overnight ship it, expect it in a week they claim. "Sorry for your inconvenience," they say. "If you do not like just go away." Now that is poor customer service every day.

I

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I was with Straight Talk for 5 years without any problems. I paid for the next month when due like normal on 11/26/2017, on Friday 12/8/2017 my internet service was turned off by Straight Talk. I called them and was of course transferred to several people who said I had already used my 10GB and I told each of them that I didn't. I finally was put in touch with someone that the checked my actual usage outside of the system and my actual usage was 841.9 MB so they "fixed" it? Sunday the same thing happened and it was "fixed" again and that I used 30MB. I asked why this was happening and please fix it. The lady told me it was a glitch on my account and it couldn't be fixed, but if I had any additional issues to call back and they would be happy to help me. Then the internet stopped working late Monday night, they were closed when I called so I called the next morning at 11:30am.

They were not happy to help, they told me that I had used 30GB of data from Friday to Monday, I told them I didn't and gave them the exact usage I used per the other employees on Friday and Monday and total it was less than a GB. I was on the phone with Straight Talk Tuesday from 11:40 am until 9:11 pm. I was hung up on twice, transferred and disconnected 3 times. I spoke to over 10 people, I lost count. They would only tell me to buy more cards to refill the data. I told them no, that I had only used 1GB give or take a few MB from the card I purchased so I was not making another purchase until 12/26/3017. I also received a hotspot device from them on Friday 12/8 and had to purchase a separate card of data for that since they have the Hot Spot on their customers’ phones blocked so it cannot be used.

I called about that on Tuesday also, spoke to several people and then a person in the refunds department checked the actual usage outside the system and "fixed" it and he told me I didn't use the 1GB I purchased with it, my actual usage was 600 and some MB. I knew that number was more than I used. He did reset the data on the Hot Spot and had told me he would check actual usage on my phone data at the beginning of our conversation, then after he fixed the Hot Spot he refused to and transferred me on to someone else.

A very long story short, I switched to Verizon post-pay on Wednesday with a really good unlimited plan, they have 3 of them, no contract on my plan and it is Not Pre-Pay, I also received a free ASUS phone and a free SIM card to replace the one I had used for Straight Talk for my iPhone so I can use either or phone or I can add another line if I choose to and use the iPhone on it. I am pretty upset with Straight Talk, I am on a limited income and like many have to count every penny and do not appreciate being ripped off especially after being a customer for at least 5 years. Also, Straight Talk now has an “Unlimited” plan for $10 more but it isn't unlimited, read the fine print. It says you get the same 10GB as the $45 plan.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

If you want good service and phones STAY far away from Straight Talk. We have been with them a year and it has been a COMPLETE Nightmare. Poor Service Poor Customer Service - even with manager and supervisor. Had to call CORPORATE to get any decent customer service. Our contract ends 12/25... I am counting the MINUTES, SECONDS to LEAVE THEM BEHIND as a BAD MEMORY.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I do not know what this company did to the relationship with Verizon... But the Verizon towers have been down - anyone with Straight Talk plan using Verizon towers has no service since 12/9/2017. The company is a joke! I asked for my money back and no one in the non English speaking country who answers their calls could help.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Horrible waste of money. Just purchased a Straight Talk hotspot and plan so I could try and get work done while on the road. However, with a ping test returning 1321 ms, download speed of .05 Mbps (YES, THAT'S POINT ZERO FIVE Megabits) and .02 (POINT ZERO TWO) Mb up speed. Straight Talk hotspot is MUCH slower than dialup and there's no way on earth a person can work with that poor quality. Now I'm out all that cash for the hotspot and plan and have no way to use it to help generate revenue. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Waste of data, can't even make a phone call. I don't want to talk to talk to a supervisor. Fix my internet speed. I paid $50.00 for a service that barely works. Lost of day should be compensated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I spent over a month trying to get Straight Talk to work for me. I started with trying to get my new phone unlocked, she didn't tell me until I had the sim card in that I had to use the device for Straight Talk for a year. Well I finally got it to work but now I can't get my number transferred. I am very aggravated by them, ** customer service. The person I talked to to try and get this all figured out with couldn't get my address right even after telling him one letter at a time. Now I get a phone call saying that the account number I gave them is wrong for my number!!! Their number one problem is they need to get fluent English people to work the phones so that we can understand them and they can understand us, that is the number one problem. As soon as my one year is up I’m going straight back to AT&T, if I even get my phone activated.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

It is the worst service you can have for a phone company. Most of the people working for this company has no damn clue of what they are doing. Most speak very bad English or can't understand English. It's cheap labor I get it, but get someone that knows what to do. Straight Talk needs to be banned until they can get it together. I am going back to paying the high cell bills. My cell worked 24/7 365 days a year. With Straight Talk you are lucky to get a working phone or network for your phone to connect up to so you can talk to people. The worst you can get when it comes to cell service. When my month is up not going to use them anymore. They are a waste of my time and money.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I called Straight Talk because I had documented cases of text messages not arriving. To make a long ordeal short, they stated that I had to call them immediately when a text did not arrive. I pointed out that I would not know immediately if a text didn't arrive because I didn't receive it. They had no solution to the problem even though I was able to name network carriers, times, and individual numbers from which the text had originated. Not cool.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My problem is I added another month to my account and my high speed data was used up by the next day. Called customer service and they said there was other customers having the same problem and she would reset my data and add 2 extra for the inconvenience. She never did it. Called back the next day and I have spent the entire day on the phone trying to fix it and all they would say is the rep should not have said that and they could not do anything. I finally gave up and posted what had happened on Facebook. Straight Talk messaged me and replied to me saying they wanted to fix it. I called the number and The runaround started again. Nothing happened and they are still contacting me saying they want to take care of it.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information

www.straighttalk.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use