1.69/5
Based on 256 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

1987 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased the hotspot device, and the 7.5GB plan for $75. I've had Verizon for 7 plus years, but costs was a bit high and service slow in my area. About 15 days after the first purchase from Straight Talk my laptop stopped working. Took me a while to find out from ST that "all" my data had been used. I don't do much YouTube etc. at all. Was strange, but I purchased the plan again. 12 days later, all my data had been used. I had gone thru all the secure connections etc. It hurt, but I thought one more time. Well 6 days later, all my data was gone.

Tried to have a decent conversation with ST, all they would say was all data was used. Could not provide me with dates, times, or sites that data was used on at all. Not even a maybe. Only words they could say was All data used. I wrote Corporate office. They called, and said they verified "all data used'. 22 GB of data is less than one month. They could or would tell me nothing, but sorry, all data used. I have ST service on my cell phone as well, and never had a problem. But for my laptop computer, which is rarely used, they got about $245 for less than one month data from me, and all they could say was sorry, all data used. Could not or would not verify what days, times or sites the data was used on.

ST has committed theft from me, and I will be filing suit on them, as every other company can provide you the information on how and what data was used on. Even when corporate office called me, was someone who could barely speak English, and say, "Sorry... all data used... We don't know why. Maybe your fault." Now I know how they keep the rates a little lower. A lot of their money is made by some type of theft, and you have to get a lawyer to sue them to get any answers. I could care less that they are not American. I just want HONESTY and to get what I pay for!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased an iPhone 6S Plus outright. Had this phone on Verizon first but was not enough data for my daughter so I switched her to Straight Talk and worked fine for a while. The Verizon introduced the unlimited plan so I tried to switch her back. I ported out the number from ST and it worked for about a day and then her phone became suspended because ST put a block on it.

I called CS several times and talked to many different supervisors and informed me that the phone was not locked. Went back to Verizon and they showed me where the "find my iPhone was blocked". Took phone to another place to have this fixed and they informed me that STRAIGHT TALK BLACKLISTED MY PHONE!!! I had this phone for over 2 years and it was MINE!! I would not use this company for anything they are shady and do things to keep you as a customer. I am also contacting the BBB for what they did to me. Now I have to buy my daughter a new phone because of STRAIGHT TALK!!! This is a terrible company!!!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was a customer of this company from Oct 2013 till April 2018 and I had to replace my cellphone 15 times over the last 2 years and they had a class action. Sue did not include me in and they charge me 55.00 for over one year and I had no working phone so I got tired of them. Went to another company. And can then TracFone. My government phone I lost and they want me to buy a new phone. A lie. It is not happening.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If you plan to use your phone for hotspot internet, I wouldn't consider using this company, their terms of service for all phone plans do not allow for hotspot internet use AT ALL. You have to pay extra for a separate device and another plan if you want hotspot/tethering service. They won't tell you this on any of their online materials, but it is in the fine print somewhere on the user agreement.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought a sim card and made a payment online. It was the wrong sim card and the customer service lady told me no big deal, just get the other one and they would set me up. I bought the new one and called them back to apply my payment. I talked to 2 different people who said they couldn't help me because they couldn't find my payment. I talked to a 3rd person who found it and was helping me when the phone disconnected. Then I get a callback and it was a different person who couldn't find the information again. I'm sooo frustrated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: July 30, 2018

In June of 2018 I ordered a sim card and paid for FedEx next day for $14.95. My sim card was shipped USPS instead. I called the helpline and was transferred to return center. They said they could not refund the shipping but gave me an extra 5 days of service instead. That made my service end date at 7/06/18. But they took the monthly fee out of my account on 7/1/18 instead which took back away my extra 5 days for THEIR shipping error. I called them back AGAIN and explained what happened and they said there was nothing they could do. What GOOD did the 5 days added to service to pay back their mistake? NONE. I have been a Straight Talk customer for years and have convinced many family and friends to switch to them. NOW I am convincing them to all go to VERIZON paid plans with me. I have never had so much problems with Straight Talk until just recently. Over the last 6 months.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I would never recommend this to anyone. We were on customer service call for over an hour and talk to 3 different representatives. We talked to supervisor and he couldn't help us either. Here was the problem, for some reason last month payment didn't go through so our cell phone service was disconnected. (NO we weren't informed that it's disconnected. We tried to make call and realize Straight Talk disconnected the service.) We called customer support to reactivate the service and no one gave us the discount that we were getting before deactivation. We talked to supervisor and he was the WORST. All 3 representative gave us different monthly amount and supervisor gave us the maximum amount which was around 5% more than the others. Supervisor didn't seem to care about their customer either. I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND STRAIGHT TALK TO ANYONE.

Original review: July 28, 2018

My daughter gave me her old Straight Talk iPhone 6 because she upgraded to a new iPhone also with Straight Talk. She unlocked her old phone so I could take it to my carrier, Virgin Mobile. Then I decided to keep it with Straight Talk and purchased the Straight Talk Start up kit at Walmart, complete with sim card. I had NO MMS service. I contacted Straight Talk. They said the start up kit sim cards are different than the sim cards originally purchased with the Straight Talk iPhones and I needed my daughter to return the sim card to the phone. All her info was on that sim card, she didn't want to return it. They said their phones wouldn't work without the original sim cards and offered to send my daughter a replacement sim card... which didn't make sense because they just told me the phones don't work without the original sim card???

Returning the sim card is not an option, because it has all her info on it. I have no MMS service with this now unlocked Straight Talk phone. My option is to purchase another Straight Talk locked iPhone or keep trying different carriers. Interestingly, I had the Straight Talk phone and the Virgin Mobile phone for one week before my VM service ended. I noticed that my service was better with VM than Straight Talk, and e-mails came faster to my VM phone than my Straight Talk phone.

I transferred from Virgin Mobile because they wouldn't allow me to bring this upgraded phone to my plan without changing me from my grandfathered $35/month plan to their new Inner Circle plan for $50/month. There's nothing wrong with this iPhone but because we unlocked it, they claim it's a "bring your own phone" and nothing they can do. I dislike all these pre-pay companies. If you don't pay the high-way robbery fees of the big companies, you have NO customer service. At least with the big companies, they speak English. I have till the end of the month to decide what I'll do...

Original review: July 24, 2018

I use wifi when I am at work so I don't use my data up. 3 - 5 days before my time runs out my data slows way down. If I get a refill card before my time expires I will lose those 3 - 5 days. This happens every month but my data usage chart shows I have lots of data left.

Original review: July 20, 2018

They were attempting to fix my text messaging problem. I talked to 3 different people for approximately 2 hours with no help. Every time when one person could not fix the problem they transfer to another I would have to go through the same steps. This happened with all three people and still luck. All 3 were hard to understand half the time. I don't know country I was calling but their speech was, again, hard to understand. After my service runs out, I will be going to a different service after reviewing their customer service. Thank you.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I switched to Straight Talk after being a VZ customer for over 10 years. The bills were just too high. I was happy at first until I noticed I wasn't getting and receiving calls and texts from people. Each time I called they claimed to have reset something, but the problem persisted for months. My kids were out at a playdate and I missed texts that they had sent. They came HOURS later. Reception was poor in my house, for whatever reason, and sometimes I couldn't get online at all when I was outside of my WiFi range.

The last straw was when I called customer service yet again about the service and instead of connecting me to tech support the automation thought I was requesting a new phone number and changed my number right there on the spot! Without a confirmation at all! The phone just cuts off and I try to call back and it's telling me to activate my new number! You cant use a mobile hotspot and customer service sucks. As much as I can't stand the high bill with VZW, at least I had the assurance of service 100% of the time. Don't waste your time.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I talked to one of their customer service agents today. I asked them to extend my service at least one week. I'm a single mother with 2 toddlers in the home and I fell behind in my bills because I had to take some time off because my mother died. They didn't even try, and said that there was nothing they could do. They won't do anything for their customers!! I do not recommend Straight Talk!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

All night I have been calling Straight Talk about not having my data after factory resetting my phone. They were able to fix the problem with my data but then I was still having trouble sending and receiving pictures. I had called back several time on my phone and others and the issue hasn't been resolved. When I call from someone else's phone they hang up on me. I'm very upset about the service I have received.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I got a new phone from Straight Talk and bought a time card for it. The phone didn't work and they sent another sim card, it didn't work either! After over two hours on another phone with customer service they told me to send everything back for a full refund. It's been over two weeks since the USPS delivered it back to Straight Talk and still no refund! Straight talk customer service has to be the worlds worst, no one there speaks English and they all just don't care! It cost me $9.85 to send that garbage back, I should have just kept it and threw it away!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have always had an excellent customer service experience with Straight Talk. It's not perfect but it's way better than anyone else I've used. I tried using Verizon Prepaid to save some $$. Turns out that Verizon pre-paid uses different towers than Verizon post-paid and I had terrible service. Ironically Straight Talk is better service on Verizon than Verizon prepaid! Good luck reaching Cust. Svc with Verizon pre-paid. I love that I can have one account with Straight Talk and switch carriers as needed/desired - T-mobile, At&t, or Verizon. If I move, no establishing a new account, I can just switch. Thank you Straight Talk for shooting straight!

Original review: July 4, 2018

It's a waste of money to purchase the 55.00 unlimited 4G plan. Service and speed decline dramatically compared to the 45.00 plan. When contacting them you get a runaround and a "I'm sorry for your problem."

Original review: July 1, 2018

Upon review of Straight Talk Wireless advertising segments on the net, Straight Talk repeatedly uses the term "a month" but in fact their billing period runs for 30 days flat, so your payment due date moves a day sooner the following month. So say the due date was May 29th last month, this month it's June 28th. But in review the advertisements I watched referred to "a month " like $45 dollars a month, or get a free phone for ** dollars a month included etc. So my bill became due a day earlier and my payment was rejected by my credit card company, because I funded the card on the 28th, expecting the bill to come due the following day, but Straight Talk charged my card at exactly 5 seconds after midnight on the 28th, making my payment late, so my service was suspended. Can they do that? Advertise a "Monthly" billing period and then bill in segments of 30 days?

Original review: June 30, 2018

I’ve been using Straight Talk since December. I started with the ultimate unlimited plan with a Straight Talk LG stylo 3. On the phone itself in its scroll down settings is a hotspot icon. It works. Nowhere on the paperwork for the phone nor the card with the service plan does it actually say I cannot hotspot nor use my hotspot. Nor does it say see online for more terms and conditions. After months of buying this plan and using the hotspot My data stopped. I found it weird considering I just got a new refill 2 weeks prior. So I called. After being hung up on once and then told my phone isn’t a straight talk phone I was eventually after three hours led to corporate. There they continued to accuse me of violating their terms and conditions thus they banned me from high speed data.

I explain courteously the situation and legalities. Granted online it does state I cannot. However if I never needed to go online to their site ever how would I know? And shouldn’t the hotspot icon be disabled by then? It’s their phone and service they provided for me and additionally did not state anywhere on or with each product purchased that I could not. I am filing a litigation suit with hopes to help those that were screwed in similar ways. And also before being hung up on I was told well you’ve had the plan for half the month so no point in refunding me the rest. I’m like excuse me? Uh yes. Either way it's theft. It’s false advertisement lots of deception. Honestly till this point I’ve never had an issue and it’s sad to say goodbye. But I can’t just let them rob me.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Like most people I ported over my number from the crooks at VZW to Straight Talk and save money. For the most part everything had been fine using ST on AT&T towers since 2013. But for past 2 months 3 phones in my house have almost no reception. It comes and goes and if you're lucky we lock on to 1 bar. Made several calls to barely any English speaking customer service reps. They assured me it's not the tower or AT&T signal. I asked then why for 4 years I had no problem and now all of the sudden we get nothing? She didn't know but offered to send another sim card to try in daughter's phone. That did not work like I told her it wouldn't. So after no help or resolution from ST or AT&T I am looking for something else that works in my area. Would switch over to Xfinity xFi wireless BUT not enough choices of phones and NO bring your own device to them.

Original review: June 23, 2018

6 years of service with no interruption of service and ease of using their website and customer service has been satisfactory. Straight Talk Wireless is an excellent value for price paid and website works great.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I like the price of Straight Talk! They use Verizon as a carrier. I live in rural AR, and Straight Talk is hit and miss out here for service, the same as all cell service for rural AR. They used AT&T in the past and their service was spot on!!! I have tried to get Straight Talk to switch my carrier back to AT&T but they will not do it... If I could get AT&T to match Straight Talk price I'd switch back in a second... In closing, cell service is such a rip off. Why can't all these companies come out with a 50$ flat fee all included!

Original review: June 21, 2018

Straight Talk is a horrible service, we had an emergency use only phone for my father. It did not work half the time several times a year. I would have to reset the language and call 61 one to reset the phone itself. I thought maybe it was just that phone if I had not had the same experience with my new Android phone a couple years back. When you call and complain well the phone works. Now go jump in the lake.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought an iPhone 6 from Wal-Mart and chose Straight Talk as my service. In less than two months the service was so bad I was having to yell into the phone for the person on the other end to hear me. I thought it was the phone until I used my previous TracFone to call my mom and it was the same result. I tried to switch the phone to Verizon prepaid at a Verizon store but Straight Talk refused to unlock the phone. They said I had to keep it for a year before they would unlock it. Luckily I was able to have the 2nd in command at Wal-Mart return the phone and allowed me to use it to get a Samsung Galaxy J7 and even had enough left to get a 32GB micro SD card to boost the storage on it. My point is to warn EVERYBODY to avoid Straight Talk, TracFone, and Boost Mobile as they're all the same company. Service is horrible as is customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I like the carrier a lot. Economical and easy to pay twice a year for me. Good network service. They do their job and I would recommend it.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Straight Talk is cheaper than going through Verizon and no contract and don't have to worry about going over your data. Service is just as good or better.

Original review: June 15, 2018

It's taking a very long time to transfer my phone number from Metro. I've been dealing with Straight Talk for several days now. I've talked to supervisors and also I've gone in person to Walmart several times to rectify the problem.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I am a 73 year old woman that feels the Straight Talk plan fits my needs just fine. I never use all the monthly allotted time as I rarely talk more than 2 hours total in a month. I pay about 32.00 dollars a month for my plan. I do wish that they would allow me to carry over some of unused time though.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Straight Talk was very easy to switch over from other major provider. The cost is less with more gigs and the plan seems to take much longer to use up the gigs making me feel like I had been ripped off by my previous provider. I can look at my plan any time with their app and being able to set up automatic monthly renewal I never have to worry about buying minutes. The service runs off of major towers so no change in reception..

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have been with Straight Talk for at least 8 and have four phone lines with them. I usually purchase my Straight Talk phones from Walmart, but I decided to purchase a phone from straighttalk.com because it was cheaper than buying it from Walmart. It was a big mistake to buy a phone from Straight Talk online, and I would not recommend that anyone purchase a phone from them unless you are absolutely sure that you will not have to return it. I have been on the phone with Straight Talk for the last 3 days and have spoken to at least 7-8 different representatives trying to return the unopened phone that I purchased.

The phone that came from Straight Talk is on the AT&T network, the one that Walmart sells is on the Verizon network. Prior to me going to the post office to send the phone back I called Straight Talk to make sure I had everything I needed to send the phone back. That representative told me that everything was on the side of the box for the return. Off to the post office I go to make the return. When I pulled the paperwork off of the side of the box I received the phone in there was no return label. I called Straight Talk back the next day, and was transferred to the return department unlike yesterday.

As soon I told the representative that I was calling to get a refund he immediately became rude and very disrespectful. I told the representative I wanted to return the phone because I live in a rural area and I wouldn't get good service with them because I have tried their network. The representative put me on hold and came back to argue with me that I would have coverage in my area because he checked. I restated what I had told him before that I would not have coverage and I just wanted a refund. He then proceeds to tell me that I will not be getting a refund because today was the 30th day for me to get my money back. After going back and forth with the representative about me just speaking with another representative the day before who did not say that, he began to imply that I was not telling the truth and continued to be rude to me.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor he told me that he was the supervisor, and I had to ask him 3 more times to transfer me to another representative. The representative that he transferred me to told me that I could get a refund. I said I needed a shipping label to send it back. The representative told me that it was on the box and that if it was not I was going to have to pay to ship the phone back myself. Once again I went to the post office and I let them check the box to see if I was overlooking it and nothing. After calling Straight Talk back to see if they could e-mail me a label, the representative said that he would. Today is day three of dealing with Straight Talk and I still have no label to send this phone back after calling them numerous times. Straight Talk does not want to give me my money back and they are just giving me the runaround.

I am beyond frustrated and almost in tears after just getting off the phone with them again and having another representative tell me that I should just keep waiting on the label. I don't even know where to turn after all of this. Please do not purchase your phone from Straight Talk online their customer service is horrible and you will not get your money back. I really wish that Walmart would have a place for their customer to call in the states concerning Straight Talk because these people could care less.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Let me begin with saying that Straight Talk stole my data in a matter of two days. I checked my account and had 2.7 GB used. Two days later, I had over 10.00 GB used which prevented me from surfing the web. For this reason, I hope this company will be sued and taken out of business. Issues: My service ends on the 27th of each month; therefore, at 11:59 the coming disconnect my service and it is not until almost two days later when my service is reconnected. Granted I have bought the 3 months of service. Which is the biggest fraud ever!

The company stole my data. After calling the customer service department in India or somewhere else a smarty pants name SARASA told me that she was sorry and needed to buy more data. How dare her to say something like that when it is almost impossible that I have used that much data in a matter of 2 days. So she tried to act smart and told me that she reviewed my records and account and effectively I have exhausted all my allowance.

So I requested to have copy of the records I have paid for, that are generated through the use of my devices and belong to me and as a customer I have the right to obtain any information that could prove me right or wrong. She denied to provide the records and said that they are for the employees of TracPhone to review only, she denied to transfer my call to a higher person and began with an irrelevant information that she read out of the script provided during training in those country where the calls get routed to. It is frustrated that I cannot even speak with somebody in the USA where they have brain and most importantly respect for the customer.

This company had abused me as a customer, violated my rights, used inappropriated the funds I have paid and they don’t deliver their promises to consumers nor do they have customer service skills. This company should be used as an example of the most terrible customer service, the most unethical and unprofessionals. Please please if there is any law that could benefit consumers from companies like this, please let me know. I have never felt so abused and used by a company like this!

In regards to the company, their technology is sucks. Their VR is inoperable and the most retrograde machine. The employees just repeat a script and sound like computers, there is no respect or consideration. For the people that pay their salaries. So my advice is USE another company because this one is like Sprint. But if I need to compared both, Sprints is similar to a Ritz Carlton compared to Straight talk! I wish you zero success and hope to see you out of business soon.

Not sure about Straight Talk Wireless?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information

www.straighttalk.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business