Straight Talk Wireless

Miami, FL

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Something I realized is that people are more likely to leave a review if they have a bad experience rather than a good one, so that encouraged me to leave a review, since I like what I have with Straight Talk. Coverage (4/5): You need to understand that Straight Talk pays major companies to "piggyback" off their service, meaning that Straight Talk customers get the same exact coverage as people who are on major carriers (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T), but lowest priority. This isn't necessarily bad, but if you're in a very densely populated area you may have some trouble. When I went to a concert in a city I got no coverage the whole time. But that was my only experience in 2 years of getting no coverage due to piggybacking. That's just an example. Otherwise you're good for coverage most the time, even in cities normally. But it's better if you're in less densely populated areas.

Pricing (5/5): This is so cheap. $45 for 5GB, you kidding me? That's probably half the price of most major carriers. I love it. Customer Service (3/5): Yeah, it's the stereotypical Indians who don't speak English and put you on hold forever. But that's what you get when you get cheap service. You get what you pay for. They do get their job done, just takes more time. I only had to talk to them once to get my phone set up and never needed to go back again. So really people, it isn't horrible. All these bad reviews are from people who want to complain about customer service.

Purchased for Xmas present and online doesn't show they have 2 networks Verizon and AT&T. Activation said I was roaming and had to mail me a new Sim card. Installed and spent 4 hours and rebooted phone 28 times and will not work since they are having problems in their side. First tried to say it would work in my zip code. As they try to deactivate the phone works. Once they fix their files I becoming a roamer and nothing works. Tried to swap at Walmart for the AT&T version of this Straight phone. They stopped shipping after Black Friday.

My husband has been a Straight Talk customer for more than 4 years. They offer a $2.50 discount each month if you're enrolled in auto refill which he has been the entire time without ANY interruption or disconnects on his account. Today, I was told by a Straight Talk Account supervisor that he lost his discount because the Straight Talk customer service rep made a mistake when transferring his service from his old STRAIGHT TALK phone to the NEW STRAIGHT TALK phone I bought him for Christmas by disconnecting his service with the old phone and reinstating the auto-refill on the new phone!!! No fault of ours... No lapse in payment... Nothing we did on our end with the exception of buying a newer Straight Talk phone (as we did 4 times last year) and trusting that the person that Straight Talk chose to employ, train, and put a headset on knew how to do their job properly.

Even though Employee #** ADMITTED on speakerphone and recorded conversation that it was THEIR fault, she also stated she could or would not reinstate his discount regardless of the fact that he'd been a loyal customer for 4 years and would continue to be listed as a "new customer" thus losing more than half the discount he has received for 4 years or more. This person then went on to comment that it was ONLY $1.50 that he had lost and would still receive $1 off each month for being enrolled as A NEW CUSTOMER.

At that point in the conversation, I honestly didn't care if it had been a dime a month! I informed her that together we'd spent over $800 on Straight Talk phones last year alone and I felt the least they could do was fix their own mistake. Her reply was that in "this point of the conversation", she was not "able OR willing to reinstate" his original discount. I can handle the LONG wait times to speak to a live person. I can handle the inconvenience of paying full price for the phones... But THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE treatment of a customer in good standing!!

I have only been with this cellular service a few weeks. Got an email from Straight Talk after about using 6 Gigs of a 15 gigabit data plan that my service is being cut to 2 gigs of a 15 gigabit service plan. Wtf is this? I've got a fake 15 gig service plan and after 2 weeks I'm cut off? I hate Straight Talk. I was with Red Pocket. They suck also! I'm beginning to hate data prepaid services. But AT&T is terrible costly for a data plan. Straight Talk and all their foreigner customer service reps annoy you to the point of hanging up on them. Walmart should kick Straight Talk out of their store. If you're not a customer of Straight Talk cellular don't become one. You will be dissatisfied and disappointed.

I can't believe they can still advertise unlimited data. I at one time had unlimited data . With no notice they then limited it to 2G's. When I complained they up it to 5. Not unlimited by any stretch. Finally switched to Tello and save $10 a month for the same plan and have much better reception. No dropped calls and truth in data.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

The price is fair. Customer service gets things done fast. In most places it's great but in some areas I can't get a signal. I love the on phone app. Easy to navigate, and add airtime. Well I like Straight Talk. Ya I have to go to WalMart to get my phone card, but that's not really a problem. When reloading my time on my phone it's a pain if you call the number on the card, but if you download the Straight Talk app it's a breeze.

I also like the fact I'm not on a contract, and they send me a message to remind me that my time is running out, one about seven days before and another about three days. I also like that I can put a card on reserve and it will not be added until my time runs out. I have unlimited internet, text, and calling with the $45 card. I get great service almost everywhere. Some spots in my house I don't get a signal, but for the most part I get it everywhere. I've only had to call customer service once because my card didn't load. They took care of it right away. It works better than the AT&T phone I had.

I purchased a new phone from Walmart. Today Jan 05, 2017 Called Straight Talk to set it up. After a very very long time on the phone I set it up with a $45.00 account. Prior to this I explained that I live in Canada, therefore would be calling Canada. I was then told that it would be $60.00 dollars, I said ok. I was then informed that the $45.00 just paid would be lost, I asked why, they had no answer. After almost an hour on the phone, I gave up and asked to cancel the contract, being as it was only just signed up.

Then the nightmare continued, I was transferred several times. Eventually I spoke to a man who could hardly understand, who eventually hung up on me. I called back, then the runaround began again, transfer after transfer time rolled by, it cost me a fortune on my phone waiting, and waiting listening to them talking together taking no notice of me the time just rolled by. What a nightmare, disgusting service. No one cares, or worries, really crap service. If you are thinking of going with Straight Talk, DON'T as you will never get Straight Talk from them. They are considered artists, just out to rip you off. A garbage company.

I have never had this horrible level of customer care in my entire life. I bought the activation kit and brought my own phone. I tried to complete the activation online and was unsuccessful. I was advised to contact customer service. I did and was placed on hold for 2 hours. I eventually hung up because I did not have the time to be on hold that long. I tried to call 8 more times over the course of 3 days and it was the same thing, placed on hold. The last time I was on hold for 4.5 hours. The representatives are uncaring, foreign speaking, robots that are super unhelpful and just want to pass you to the next person. When I became so frustrated by the dead ends and no help whatsoever, I asked for my money back. They refused and said that is not possible. How can I not get my money back when I paid 65 dollars for a service that I never received? This company is a scam and a uncaring, rude, unhelpful joke.

We just found out that Straight Talk has been billing us twice a month when we only have one phone on one account. When we attempted to resolve the issue they gave us the usual call center run around and refused to issue a refund. This has been going on for three years!! We found the error by accident through our bank and even had a manager from Walmart attempt to deal with the call center. Not only were they unhelpful but extremely rude, alternately accusing us of lying or threatening to hang up. They finally let it slip that our card was being used to pay for another phone NOT on our account but they were not going to do anything or even stop the charges! We had to have our bank cancel the card or it would have continued. We got no notice of any other charges and even the bank was amazed to find that the two charges were always made within minutes of each other on the same day every month.

They couldn't believe how bizarre the situation was. We were also informed by the Walmart manager that Straight Talk has no offices or personnel hired in the United States and so the customer basically has no recourse when something goes wrong because the call center can just hang up and not deal with it. This has been the worst company and worst customer service I have ever encountered. To admit they used the card for another phone but refuse to fix it is beyond comprehension. We will never use Straight Talk again and I hope by this review I can at least warn others before they decide on auto-refill.

I purchased a Straight Talk home phone device about 3 yrs ago. Bought the phone from Walmart. My battery on the device died now. I have called everyone. They tell me there are none. This is bad for Straight Talk. I have a first edition. I am on dialysis and have other health problems. Now I have no phone. Can you send me a certificate to replace this device? Straight Talk should not sell devices that you can't buy parts for. Bad business. My life depends on having a phone. Thank you. Please help me.

I ordered a phone. Came in with a cracked screen. They tried to tell me I didn't order the warranty for the phone so they couldn't do anything. Phone was never activated but insisted it was. I have a total different phone with them that was activated, but this particular one could never be activated because of the cracked screen, nothing would come up on it. So they told me to send it back. Almost a month later still no word on when my new phone would come in. I DO NOT recommend Straight Talk to anybody.

Ok. When I upgraded my phone from a Galaxy 3 to a Galaxy 5 and transferred my #, they didn't activate my 4G LTE. I called them (India I'm guessing). They turned it on. 2 days later it was shut off again. No internet. Called them back AGAIN. Was told I've used all my data. Called back again! They turned it on. 2 days later it was off! Once again they told me I run out of high speed data. I added another $45 and still had to call (Mexico this time) to get my internet back on! Still... the next day it was shut off! Wtf? They shut me off again, I'm done!

I tried Straight Talk a big mistake. I did not have coverage where I went to work. I decided after the first month not to keep their phone service. So the day my service ran out I took another phone service. That company got a hold of Straight Talk and they wouldn't release my phone number. I called them twice and was on hold for 45 minutes and 30 minutes the second time, before they hung up on me. The customer service agent hardly speak English, so frustrating. I will now have to get a new number to get service. Don't use Straight Talk.

I am and have been a Straight Talk user for at least 10yrs. So we bought our son a Straight Talk iPhone 5s. He was thrilled. So he been setting it up and transferring his old phone data and # from another company to Straight Talk. Easy now. Oh no. It was not. He's been trying and he's been shuffled, put on hold talk to like a dog. However I suggest you don't talk to a dog that way, because the SPCA will have the power to put your company away. He's been promised in two business days, lie. He's been put on hold for 2 hrs. And still that phone serves helpful as a paperweight.

I wish you people could have some answers but yet none have been given. He's been passed around like I can't even think of a decent word. I can't believe this is for real. Do you not care whether you have any customers. Before this I was a walking talking advertisement for Straight Talk. But I would not wish what has happened to my son on my worst enemy. I'm pretty sure this commentary will never see anyone higher than an operator but I will continue researching until I get higher and higher up the ladder.

My 85 year old father had a Straight Talk phone. He wanted to change over to Consumer Cellular. We purchased the Consumer Cellular phone once the Straight Talk phone had run out of days. When we went to transfer the number Straight Talk customer service told my father they wouldn't release the number to Consumer Cellular as there was no time left on his phone. I asked them if we could purchase an hour or so of time as apparently his Straight Talk phone only needed to be active for a few minutes for the number transfer. Straight Talk's response was that my father needed to purchase 30 days of service to have the phone activated. I responded that this would be a waste of money as he only needed it activated for a few minutes and he would end up losing the 30 days of service anyways. Straight Talk said that was their policy.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that she was the supervisor (hard to believe that the supervisor is answering the customer service line). In the end we paid the $30.00 reactivation fee and Consumer Cellular was able to transfer the number over to my father's new Consumer Cellular phone. Straight Talk basically stole the $30.00 from my 85 year old father's limited income. Not only were they not helpful in any way but refused to release the number until the phone was activated. Seems like a hostage situation.

I give Consumer Cellular high marks though for their professional customer service as they went above and beyond to accommodate my father so he could keep his phone number that he has had for several years. Straight Talk - you should be ashamed of your hostage tactics and greedy ways!!! I will never recommend your service to anyone - and if anyone ever asks I will sing the praises of Consumer Cellular. Shame on Straight Talk - there is nothing straight about this company!!!

Straight Talk has extremely poor customer service, so much so that it isn't worth their affordably-priced plans. If you ever need to contact them, have something else to do, put the phone on speaker, and be prepared to be disconnected and have to call back a couple of times (4 is my average). Remember to breathe, and when and if you finally get someone, steel yourself; you may have thought it was over, however, based on my experience, you have a 40% chance of this person actually helping you and a 60% chance of getting disconnected or getting so frustrated by their inability to help, or even hear you, that you decide to just hang up and take care of it yourself (even though that will take an hour and involve using their just-as-horrible website, and by this point you have already probably wasted an hour and a half).

In fact, Straight Talk may frustrate you so much by the end of your experience, that even though you just brushed it off previous times, you will want to go online, register for a site, and write your experience down (because you will never succeed in talking to a supervisor at Straight Talk, and so can never complain to them, only about them, which just isn't as good). Worst customer service, horrible. I will be changing providers.

I pay for 5 gb of data/month. Constantly cuts me OFF at about 4.1 gb. Not just slow but clear off. I complained and they say I'm wrong. (I bought one year of service). I had 3 meters/monitors on my data. I added 2 more for a total of 5 monitoring devices. They showed 4.16, 4.13, 3.89, 4.14 and 3.97 gb used when they cut me off this month. And that is clear OFF. No data even at a slow speed. I will not do further business with Straight Talk and their deceptions and dishonesty.

Cheap price. Good reliable service. Although it is hard sometimes to reach someone other than a computer, this company stands behind what they sell. It is the least expensive cell phone in the industry bar none. Never have to worry about going over the minutes. No one can beat their price.

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. The customer service is beyond horrible! In the last 3 days I have been put on hold over 5 hours trying to get my phone number ported over. If I had not already purchased the phone I would never give this company another dime of my money or another minute of my time. When this phone quits I will NEVER use this company again! My phone is still not set up, I am on hold again this time 135 minutes. Absolutely ridiculous! STAY AWAY from this company.

Straight Talk could not get my phone to work, and promised me a refund 40 days ago. When I called to check on this today, they had no record of my call after spending 75 minutes with Technical support, who eventually gave up on activation. I also waited on hold today for one hour, so their customer service sucks too!

A very unhappy customer.

Cannot talk with anyone when experiencing issues. If you do talk with an actual person, accent too heavy to understand, RUDE customer service. I will be finding another provider. Highly suggest finding any provider but Straight Talk.

I have been a Straight Talk customer for years. I have had problems here and there, but I was satisfied overall. About six months ago, my phone started losing service every few days. I would suddenly find myself without any service at the worst times. I have tried calling to get help, but ST customer service agents are rude and arrogant and have even accused me of lying in order to get free service!!! I am going to get rid of my Straight Talk Phone and make a mission out of telling anyone I know not to buy one. Straight Talk, you have horrible customer service!!! And your product sucks! Thanks for nothing!

I have been with Straight Talk for over 8 years. I went thru all the changes, like when it REALLY was unlimited data, but I stuck by Straight Talk, and I'VE had some very serious issues, and Straight Talk hasn't always been the best to me. Last year I purchased over 1400.00$ in Straight Talk cell phones for my family members, also bought several of them, activation kits and monthly cards. I still stand by Straight Talk. Recently I started buying the 10 gig plan, which I love, but rather you agree with me or not, the last two month's I been getting ripped off. The same day I paid my 10 gig plan for 59.00$, I went to house sit, was on WiFi for 3 days. I got a day's usage warning soon after that... This month I been I WiFi a lot, and today I'm already being told I'm almost at 9 gig. I just paid my bill. I'm sorry but there is no way, no way at all, that is right. I even stopped going on Facebook so often. I'm tired of dealing with all the issues.

I guess I’m returning any Straight Talk gifts I bought for gifts this year and changing cell phone providers. I keep paying for something I'm not getting. I've called them about this issue, but I get nowhere. Was even told once that they don't no longer have to provide me with any help. That went on for over 3 months. I even asked for supervisors and was refused. They pretty much told me, "We're right, you're wrong, get over it. I pay for 3 phones every month, have been for 6 years, was always, 45$, now it's almost 60$ a month. 180$ in one year that's a lot of money, to be told. Sorry, but you're wrong.

Straight Talk customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. In Nov I purchased a phone for my child and was unable to add it to our account so we called Straight Talk customer service to add the extra phone. She got it added alright minus all our account info like the 17,000 reward points which we have been saving for a while. We have 4 family 2 adults and 2 children so we rack up a good amount in a year which is roughly 4 mos of service free for a family of 6. That means a lot and they just took them rewards. We tried showing payment history meid # of the phones. They just put you on hold and then disconnect. That's a very good rewards program. Needless to say now we are looking for a new family plan. We have to stand up for what's right so please don't let companies like Straight Talk treat consumers like this. Demand better or we get what we deserve. We for one will not accept this behavior. Bye bye thieves from straight talk customer service.

My caller ID shows up as another person and Straight Talk said "Live with it" from my chat with them. Unfortunately, the caller ID feature cannot be personalized with your name. "We are a prepaid phone company and the numbers provided are recycled." When calling someone with caller ID, your cell phone number or Wireless Caller will be displayed on their caller ID. If the person you are calling has stored your number and named, only then it will display your name when calling.

I have had my Straight Talk phone for almost 5 months, just yesterday on 12/12/16 my payment was due, I paid it on that day. Now today, I can't make calls or receive them. Same with texts and I cannot use my data. This has happened every time I paid for my phone, they told me to just restart my phone or turn the phone off and remove the sim card then place it back in and turn the phone on, but it never works so they have to keep sending me new sim cards. This is getting annoying. Granted, I am only 16, I do not have a car to drive around so I have to call my mother to pick me up from places, but I can't when my phone is like this. Other than that the service is OK. I have very good service wherever I go and when I use my data it's quick and easy and it doesn't take long to load things, I am just getting very annoyed by this service with how many times I need to get a new sim card. I WANT IT FIXED!!!

I was looking for an affordable phone plan and I found Straight Talk. Their service area map shows that I was well within the coverage area. So I bought a phone and the $50.00 service plan. I barely had data at home and when I went to work I had nothing. I tried to contact Straight Talk and had no luck getting help. If there had been decent customer service I might have stuck it out. After all they are cheap. But you can't get anything out of these people. I went to AT&T GO phone and the service is great all the way around.

Purchased a STRAIGHT TALK CELL PHONE at Walmart. I ported my number over from another carrier and my phone on Straight Talk was active. Then a few days later it was deactivated indicating the number was never ported. Now nobody can find my number that I had for years. I was on hold for over an two hours each time with Straight Talk. STAY AWAY!

After 8 years of using this service, we have decided to change service providers. Once in the past there was a billing error when I replaced my phone and the new phone I got was not working properly. When I took the phone back to the store and exchanged it, they dropped the entire plan from the system. That cost me another $48 at that time and they refused to even look in their system to help me recover my already paid for service.

Now, this month (December 2nd), we found two separate charges going into our Checking Account totaling almost $100. Both of mine and my wife's phone were not on auto pay. I had the charges removed by our bank so that we would not be charged. We had already had our phones deactivated and purchased new cards on December 1st for $48+ each. As of yesterday, December 9th, the charges from Straight Talk were renewed. When we called Straight Talk they told us they would not reverse the charges and we had to talk to our bank and do a charge back in order to get our money back within 90 days.

Disputing the charges will cost us $20 per transaction (thus $40) and we have to wait the 90 days for Straight Talk to respond. The "Customer Service" Representative told me that even though I was the owner of the card to which the charges were made they could not remove the charges from within their system. They absolutely refused to even look the charges up via card number and yet confirmed they had the capability to do so within their system. So, now I am out a minimum of $56 after disputing the charges and will not see the money for at least 90 days.

When I spoke to Straight Talk, they told me that neither my wife's nor my own phone accounts had been charged through our bank. At that point I told them that as of 3 days prior I had canceled the card used to make the charges and that the charges were not authorized by myself or my wife and were thus fraudulent. They told me that made no difference and that even as the card holder, I was not allowed to have them remove the charges from their system. They further told me that unless I had the phone numbers to which the charges had been made, they could do nothing about it. I explained to them that since the charges were not to either of OUR accounts we could not possibly know what the numbers were and that again the charges were fraudulent.

Once again I was told that I had to contact my bank and dispute the charges (they call it a charge back) and I should get my money refunded after 90 days. So, in the end, I wasted over and hour on the phone speaking with no less than 3 "supervisors" who could do nothing to help us. I was told a minimum of two dozen times they could not reverse fraudulent charges and that I had to contact my bank to file a charge back. I am seriously considering contacting a legal firm to get a class action lawsuit against Straight Talk to restore at least some of the monies people have been taken for.

Been with Straight talk since 2010 with two phones and autopay. July 2016 changed credit card for auto refill. The only credit card since then for auto refill. I have been having the auto refill discount as payment ever since 2010. Apparently they never change the card on their side, although when going online to my account it has been changed for a very long time as well as no other card on file. 12-5 they process payment using the card that was not on file as of July 2016. Payment was declined. I found out when I tried to use my phone that it was deactivated.

When calling I had to pay over phone and start paying a higher amount due to it was a reactivation of my account. I asked why did they charge that card number? It was very clear when looking at my online account that there is no such credit card on file. They refused and said I had to pay a higher amount, because the AMERICAN company has that policy and they will start losing customers and there is NOTHING or NO ONE that can be reached to resolve any of these issues. I said I am changing my two phones that I have had faithfully for over 5 years to another company and the customer rep agreed that that would be good. No retention policy procedures. So "GOOD RIDDANCE STRAIGHT TALK". If you treat your loyal customers well then you will survive. Obviously not.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.
  • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.
  • Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.
  • Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.
  • Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
  • Best for Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones