Miami, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

BOTTOM LINE

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

CONS

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carrier to anyone looking for quality service at an affordable price.

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as your phone provider.

Straight Talk Wireless Learn More

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
    • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
    • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
    • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
    • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
    While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
    What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
    Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
    What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
    Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
    Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
    Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
    Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
    Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

T-Mobile has dropped calls/poor range, awful customer service, lose your balance if you transfer out, and then they highjack your unlocked phone! T-Mobile cell towers are lacking in most areas unless you live in a "big" city. Forget metropolitan areas. I live just outside Orlando...17 miles from downtown. My service is fine until about the 15-16 mile going home. Inside my house it's intermittent connection. I have to leave my neighborhood to not have a dropped call - that is - if I can make or receive one.

T-Mobile has awful customer service both inside the store and on the phone. Do NOT make the mistake and call the wrong customer service number. Yes, T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid are two different entities. Only the right one can help you. When you do call it's always a long wait times and multiple transfers (repeating the same issue over again and again) to get a problem resolved.

T-Mobile will keep any balance you have left in your account when you port out. No refunds. What's worse, after you port out they highjack your phone! I straight-up OWN my UNLOCKED phone. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer and I brought the darn thing to T-Mobile. When I finally ported out to Straight Talk my phone kept telling me it was locked and I had to contact T-Mobile. Seriously?! Another customer service call. They made me download their "T-Mobile Device Unlock" App. I am soooo happy to be done with T-Mobile.

Straight Talk uses either Verizon or AT&T towers (your choice based on the some card) and I chose AT&T, which has been perfect! No more dropped calls and their customer service has been good. I buy month to month auto-refill and save a dollar. No more choosing my dollar amount to load. They also have a rewards program. Plus, I asked them... Straight Talk does not lock your phone if you port out! Bonus points Straight Talk for doing things right.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have used this company for my phone needs for years now. It has worked for my needs by being reasonably priced and useful when I need it. The one complaint is that they do throttle data near the end of the month. It would also be helpful if the calls didn't drop in my house when I try to talk. This phone is an Android based device so I wonder if that also has something to do with the spottiness of calls. I would recommend this to anyone that does not want to be shackled by contracts. The main drawback for some is you have to buy your phone up front.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have the unlimited plan $45 month with 25 GB of data. Because I have it on autopay I only actually pay $44.49 month saving me hundreds of dollars over other brands. With Straight Talk you must either "Bring your own Phone" or buy one upfront. I think now they do over payment plans for purchasing phones but I usually just buy one then sign up. I've been using straight talk ever since I dropped Sprint when I got my first cell phone thru Avon. It didn't have good coverage like Straight talk did in my rural area & whenever I traveled it seemed my phone was the only one with service so that's a bonus. Best coverage, good rates just not happy with customer service. You never speak to anyone in USA & they don't speak/understand English as well as they should. There's no other company I'd use right now due to coverage & cost that Straight talk wouldn't be superior. Love my Straight talk plan (I have the new Samsung Galaxy S10+).

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

They said I used all my data so I paid extra $10. Then they didn't add it on. After 3 days I called and they hung up on me 3 times. Last time talked to someone who said they would fix it and data came on but found out they charged me $10.. again. Then they slowed it down so much it was unusable. Employees speak poor English and unable to understand most of convo. When I asked her to spell what she was saying she said nothing for a few seconds and hung up on me. This hanging up is the norm with this company. It can take an hour with having to call back constantly. I am going to change to ** tomorrow as they have an A rating with consumer reports. Straight talk had an F rating and they deserve an F-. Terrible service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I ported my phone number from Verizon yesterday. All my balances for talk, text, and data went to zero and when I tried to set up voicemail, dialing *86 and holding down the 1 button connected me with Straight Talk customer service. After chatting with several agents and calling and speaking with at least 4 more agents, I was unable to resolve either issue. It is very difficult to communicate with the agents. I was promised a call from technical support on two occasions but I never received a call. I am shopping for a real phone service today.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Lying company. Not only is their customer service awful and time-consuming to navigate. The company claims to be a no-contract company yet if you buy one of their phones they will not unlock it unless the phone has been active with them for 12 months. I have had this service for 5 years and I was finally fed up with their awful customer service and tried to switch companies. They were happy to port my number but didn't tell me while they were porting my number that they would not unlock my $800 phone that I bought outright. So then my phone was inactive but could not be reactivated by my company of choice because Straight Talk is holding it captive because the phone isn't a year old.

I paid $800 for this phone. It is my phone. They have no right to dictate where I service it! If I had bought a phone outright by AT&T and decided 6 months later I wanted to switch they would respect the phone is mine. I've been with the service for 5 years!!! They hid this policy on a third party website which is linked in tiny print on a small piece of paper in the phone's box. The worse company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I cannot wait for May when they have to unlock my phone and I can stop wasting my money with Straight Talk.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

My husband broke his iPhone SE, went to Walmart and bought a new iPhone SE 2020. He wanted to keep his number etc. so the sim card from his old phone was placed into the new phone. Walmart sells Straight Talk but it Was Not disclosed that the new iPhone was locked by Straightalk and would not be able to be unlocked for 12 months. If we had know this little FACT that iPhone would not have been purchased.

I found a better carrier price at 1/2 the price I paid for Straight talk but could not get the new iPhone unlocked (due to the sim card not matching device). It took us over 24 hours to find this out after playing phone tad between Straightalk and Walmart. Walmart electronics associates should be trained and told not to exchange old sim cards and that phones sold by Straightalk will be locked for 12 months from activation (sort of a Contract for a No Contract Carrier). Even though I and my husband had been with Straight talk for over 12 months, we were stuck with a $377.00 phone we could not take with us. As for Walmart I finally got a refund for the iPhone and plan to purchase a phone from our NEW carrier. NO MORE STRAIGHT TALK for us and NO I WILL NOT recommend.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I am a college student and I have been buy the 45$ plan for years and always had high speed data until today I had a doctor's appointment and as I was using my gps they took my data and said it's 2$ to get it back. I refuse. I'm leaving after that.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information