Miami, FL

3.0/5 (420 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Save $30 each month. Start up was hard. If using FedEx delivery, use the more experience service option, or buy at WalMart. Went to library and used WiFi until phone number transferred. It's a bit tricky if you keep your own number. Great speed and access.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

In 2013 my family was done with ATT so at that time I researched and for only one line and buying the brand new (at that time) iPhone 5 I would pay at the least amount but most likely more than $100 more over 2 years if I went with Verizon than if I 1st bought the phone then prepaid each month. This was not counting Verizon's extra fees (like if I was late paying a bill). I don't like to be wasteful nor over-consumptive so I went from original iPhone 3 (had used for at least 4 years at that time and it still turns on!) to the iPhone 5 which I'm STILL currently using so I can't even comprehend the amount I've actually saved beyond the original 2 years seeing how I'm on 7.75 years now.

I vaguely remember the initial set up was easy. I'm sure if I called Straight Talk I could continue to use this phone but they have been sending out notifications on how the towers/service is being updated and I need to get a new phone (even tho I made sure I got the iPhone 5 with LTE but just never had them turn it on because I live in a rural area) but I do need a new phone because I've run out of memory years ago so I am planning/researching the newest iPhone 12 and various carriers/plans/etc and came across this and decided I needed to chime in since I've used straight talk for so many years.

Living in rural northwestern Pa we only got better than spotty 1 or 2 bars of service In 1 upstairs bedroom about a year or 2 ago so I've really almost never been able to use a cell at my house except on wifi. Don't have to travel far tho to get signal and I would say I average at least several hours daily using cell service instead of wifi. There have only been 3 times I've had a problem with the service, which was the data all of a sudden wouldn't work, everything else still worked good but just wouldn't connect to internet or had no cell data.

The 1st time it happened (probably after about 2 years in) customer service gave me the run around trying to blame my phone so I had to drive 2 hours to Apple store to have them verify nothing was broke/wrong with the phone itself. In the end(after several calls over a few days) what they had to do was have me on the phone while they called Verizon to have Verizon reset my number with the towers, which I can only imagine the Verizon people giving them a terribly difficult time since yes they are terrible to try to understand because of their accents. I think what the problem was is that periodically Verizon updates their towers and my phone was turned off at my house since I didn't get service so it didn't automatically update.

Anyway the next time it happened I knew what the problem was so when I called in I "slowly" explained (making sure I didn't talk too fast so they could also understand me) that this had happened before (I had written down the dates/names/etc the 1st time it happened so idk if that helped) and how it was fixed and they still wanted me to like factory reset my phone but I just said ya I already had done that because I knew that's what I had to the 1st time even tho I hadn't and it only took 1 call this time and 1 the final time it happened so I actually had excellent experience with customer service the 2nd & 3rd times.

I think part of the problem is that when something isn't working with our phones we're already extremely frustrated but to add on this communication barrier really worsens the situation for ourselves because it's not that we just have a difficult time understanding them but they can't understand us either, so when I called the last 2 times I made sure I sounded extra friendly, not frustrated, made sure I was speaking very clearly and kinda slow so they had a much easier time understanding what I was saying. I never have experienced dropped calls or slowed data but I don't rely on it for constant internet access either so a few years back they came out with more plans around the number of Gb of data and pricing so I think I went from paying $45 to $35 now for the same thing.

From researching a little online I think there might be other prepaid companies like straight talk in my area that might be even cheaper but even tho there are several recent bad reviews for straight talk (many seem to be about trying to buy a phone thru their site which I wan't going to do anyway) I think I'm just going to stick with them seeing how over the years I can't even imagine how much money I've saved and I've hardly had any problems only had to contact them 3 times and the last 2 times were quite pleasant and helpful.

They also have a points program so every time you add a service plan you get so many points but you can also write reviews on social media/their site or watch commercials or play games for points which can be used to get a service plan or towards a new phone. I've seen no mention of their rewards program. It's too difficult for me because of this rewards program and also not knowing anyone else in my area who has some other company to inquire about the reliability, to try to calculate how much or if I'd even save by switching to another prepaid carrier.

If in the future I learn that I'd save a lot by switching then I would consider and I would switch if it would save me at least $50/year I figure every penny counts and at least in the area I live in if I can pay less for virtually the same exact thing then it's a win for me! I figure since there's no contract I can leave straight talk ANY time so if something better/cheaper comes my way then I'll choose that or if straight talks service starts to slow or drop calls then I'd switch but I would definitely recommend straight talk and think that if it's a cheaper option in your area then you should try it and see for yourself if your internet is slower or not you can always switch since there's no contract!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I wanted to transfer two lines with Straight Talk to a new service provider. AT&T's network coverage in my area is not as good as Verizon's so I decided to switch to Xfinity Mobile. I had one BYOP and one phone I purchased from Straight Talk. I missed the fine print when purchasing the phone that even though I paid for the device in full, Straight Talk won't unlock it (for free) until you have completed 12 months of service on the device with them. Whatever, that part is on me. I paid $150 to unlock that device early (2 days after refilling another month of service) and planned to deal with activating the new service and porting the phone number later in the week when I had free time. BUT what happened was my 16 year old's cell service was deactivated without warning. He had gone out with friends and didn't realize his phone had no service and I was only able to get in touch with him by purchasing another month of data from Straight Talk.

With regard to my BYOP which was already unlocked, I have been trying to port my number for SIX FREAKING DAYS NOW! I had to refill another month of Straight Talk for my phone as well because the end of my month of Straight Talk was the day following when I first started trying to port my number to Xfinity Mobile. After 2 days with no phone service (thank goodness for iMessage on WiFi) I finally gave up and bought another month of Straight Talk. In short, it has now cost me $230 trying to leave Straight Talk and I haven't even succeeded yet. If you decide to use them, be prepared to get new phone numbers and devices if you want to change to a new service provider without major hassle and extra expense.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The service sucks. Never a good signal. Customer service doesn't service any customers. You will continuously be transferred. Do not pay with card. They charged twice over two separate occasions and I had to file dispute with the bank. I will never use this provider again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I have had few issues with this business since I've been with them for a few years now. They act like they don't know what they're doing when mostly speaking to female managers when they answer the phone. Months ago, I called up regarding call waiting where I can't seem to get other call while on the other line and they said they fixed it and they never did. Last night and three times today I called and they messed up two of my calls assuming I have no phone line now because whatever they did on their end messed up my phone and the phone base device till finally after resetting it was okay. Then they said they will call back 15 min later to check back but it was around 1.5 hours later they checked back. Really?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I have Straight Talk and for the last 2 months, my service keeps going out and, when I do have service I still can’t send text messages. I also have no data. I have called them and they act like the issue is on my end! After looking online for answers, I see that thousands of people are having the same problem. I told them I want my money back but, they refused and I can’t get a straight answer out of them, in regard to what the problem really is! I know I have missed so many calls and have lost money because I work from home and rely on my phone, for work. This is an outrage!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I'm just gonna keep this short... DON'T deal with Straight Talk. They don't know what they're doing. They can't answer your questions. I ordered 2 phones from them. One was canceled and I've still yet to get a answer why. I've been waiting on mine to come. I can't cancel with them until I get it. I was told it would come Tuesday then Wednesday now they saying Thursday before I get it. I'm so mad!!! And the dumb people in customer service can't even give me a straight answer. Just wanna transfer me and say their department doesn't handle it. Apparently no one does!!! I will make sure everyone knows not to go with them. I truly regret this decision!!!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information