Miami, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

BOTTOM LINE

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

CONS

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carrier to anyone looking for quality service at an affordable price.

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as your phone provider.

Straight Talk Wireless Learn More

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
    • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
    • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
    • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
    • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
    While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
    What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
    Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
    What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
    Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
    Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
    Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
    Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
    Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

T-Mobile has dropped calls/poor range, awful customer service, lose your balance if you transfer out, and then they highjack your unlocked phone! T-Mobile cell towers are lacking in most areas unless you live in a "big" city. Forget metropolitan areas. I live just outside Orlando...17 miles from downtown. My service is fine until about the 15-16 mile going home. Inside my house it's intermittent connection. I have to leave my neighborhood to not have a dropped call - that is - if I can make or receive one.

T-Mobile has awful customer service both inside the store and on the phone. Do NOT make the mistake and call the wrong customer service number. Yes, T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid are two different entities. Only the right one can help you. When you do call it's always a long wait times and multiple transfers (repeating the same issue over again and again) to get a problem resolved.

T-Mobile will keep any balance you have left in your account when you port out. No refunds. What's worse, after you port out they highjack your phone! I straight-up OWN my UNLOCKED phone. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer and I brought the darn thing to T-Mobile. When I finally ported out to Straight Talk my phone kept telling me it was locked and I had to contact T-Mobile. Seriously?! Another customer service call. They made me download their "T-Mobile Device Unlock" App. I am soooo happy to be done with T-Mobile.

Straight Talk uses either Verizon or AT&T towers (your choice based on the some card) and I chose AT&T, which has been perfect! No more dropped calls and their customer service has been good. I buy month to month auto-refill and save a dollar. No more choosing my dollar amount to load. They also have a rewards program. Plus, I asked them... Straight Talk does not lock your phone if you port out! Bonus points Straight Talk for doing things right.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have used this company for my phone needs for years now. It has worked for my needs by being reasonably priced and useful when I need it. The one complaint is that they do throttle data near the end of the month. It would also be helpful if the calls didn't drop in my house when I try to talk. This phone is an Android based device so I wonder if that also has something to do with the spottiness of calls. I would recommend this to anyone that does not want to be shackled by contracts. The main drawback for some is you have to buy your phone up front.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have the unlimited plan $45 month with 25 GB of data. Because I have it on autopay I only actually pay $44.49 month saving me hundreds of dollars over other brands. With Straight Talk you must either "Bring your own Phone" or buy one upfront. I think now they do over payment plans for purchasing phones but I usually just buy one then sign up. I've been using straight talk ever since I dropped Sprint when I got my first cell phone thru Avon. It didn't have good coverage like Straight talk did in my rural area & whenever I traveled it seemed my phone was the only one with service so that's a bonus. Best coverage, good rates just not happy with customer service. You never speak to anyone in USA & they don't speak/understand English as well as they should. There's no other company I'd use right now due to coverage & cost that Straight talk wouldn't be superior. Love my Straight talk plan (I have the new Samsung Galaxy S10+).

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

My husband broke his iPhone SE, went to Walmart and bought a new iPhone SE 2020. He wanted to keep his number etc. so the sim card from his old phone was placed into the new phone. Walmart sells Straight Talk but it Was Not disclosed that the new iPhone was locked by Straightalk and would not be able to be unlocked for 12 months. If we had know this little FACT that iPhone would not have been purchased.

I found a better carrier price at 1/2 the price I paid for Straight talk but could not get the new iPhone unlocked (due to the sim card not matching device). It took us over 24 hours to find this out after playing phone tad between Straightalk and Walmart. Walmart electronics associates should be trained and told not to exchange old sim cards and that phones sold by Straightalk will be locked for 12 months from activation (sort of a Contract for a No Contract Carrier). Even though I and my husband had been with Straight talk for over 12 months, we were stuck with a $377.00 phone we could not take with us. As for Walmart I finally got a refund for the iPhone and plan to purchase a phone from our NEW carrier. NO MORE STRAIGHT TALK for us and NO I WILL NOT recommend.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I am a college student and I have been buy the 45$ plan for years and always had high speed data until today I had a doctor's appointment and as I was using my gps they took my data and said it's 2$ to get it back. I refuse. I'm leaving after that.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

If I could rate them less than one star, I would. I purchased my son a phone and prepaid plan with Straightalk in December of 2019. It is now September of 2020. In these nine months, we've had to get his number changed THREE TIMES because his number kept being given to someone else, even though we were set up on auto refill each month. So when I would try to reach my 13 year old son, I got someone else.

My debit card was being charged to refill someone else's account. After the 3rd time of this happening, I called them and told them I wanted to totally cancel service with them and that I needed the phone unlocked so I could switch carriers. The lady I spoke with told me the phone was unlocked. We went to another carrier and got everything set up. When we put the new SIM card in the phone, it said it was still locked. I called them back and explained the situation only to be told, "You have to keep service for a year before you can unlock the phone." So either the first lady lied or doesn't know what she's doing.

I told them I was never told this. I asked them how am I supposed to keep service with a company who continuously gives my service to someone else?!?! I paid for the phone, I OWN THE PHONE, but now I am unable to use it. I spent over 3 hours on the phone with them and got nowhere. I was placed on hold and no one ever picked up. I kept calling back. I eventually had to just buy my son another phone with our new carrier, even though I have a phone that is paid for and that I own, but I can't use it. I asked for a refund on the phone if I am not able to use it because our account kept being given to someone else and I had no other choice but to cancel service. I was told they would not refund it. It's nothing short of theft. They take your money but you don't get the service you pay for. Then you're stuck with equipment you can't use but you paid for. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. The way they treat their customers is HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I chatted with one of the customer service representatives to get some questions answered. 1 of the things I wanted answered was what would happen if I used up the 10 gigs of mobile Hotspot, I was told that it would just slow down but would continue just at a slower speed. Went ahead a did the account setup on line and during the setup process decided to lease the phone instead of purchasing outright. Was assured that the phone and phone service would bill out together. NOT TRUE! Lost credit card that I had used to set up the account with so as soon as I got new card went out to account and put new card information in. I get an email that was sent out by Smartlease that my payment was past due!

The phone wasn't activated until the 13 or 14th of August and the service is supposed to be for a month. The email was sent out September 4 at 11:30pm and the phone was off at 7:00am the next morning. Tried to call them to find out what was going on and their response was to call Smart Lease because they are the one who turned the phone off but I kept telling them that I didn't have any phone number for them and when I asked to be transferred to them I would be disconnected. Had problems understanding cs and couldn't get transferred to a USA base call center.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Went to Walmart today and one of your assistants was there and they tried to help me then get on the phone with one of your assistants and telling me my phone not compatible but when I bought the sim package the assistant called you all and said it was. So what is it? Paying for something that you all lied about. I didn't buy me another phone card because you all can't get your stories right and ripping people off like that is not the way to go. I'm going to tell everyone. Quit telling people it's compatible when it's not..

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information