Straight Talk Wireless

Miami, FL

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I used my Straight Talk phone for 5 years with spotty reception at bear. I moved to where my reception was unusable. When I tried to unlock my phone, customer service And the supervisor "Adolfo" fell back on their policy of unlocking phones and refused to do so. Good thing it is pay as you go, get out while the getting is good. Zero customer service.

I called in to get help adding a card for my daughter. The customer service was rude and would not help me after 50 minutes on hold. We will just go back to AT&T. How can you not help a customer who has been there for 5 years.

Do not do business with Straight Talk or Smart Pay!!! Nothing but foreign people who can't understand a word you're saying and only want to sell you stuff. Then they can't help you after that. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! Don't do business with this company!!!

I have no problem with Straight Talk phone service. BUT their customer service is a different story. I have never dealt with any business as inept as Straight Talk when it comes to customer service. Every customer service rep that I have spoken to has such a difficult accent to understand that I have to repeatedly ask them to repeat what they said. Then no matter what the problem - ie no service, didn't receive an order or whatever you are having a problem with - they have no recourse to offer you. Currently, I am having a run around regarding a phone I ordered from them. FedEx tried to deliver the new phone but we were out of town due to severe medical issues with a family member. When we returned we had the notice that FedEx tried to deliver a package. We called FedEx to ask if we could come and pick up the package and the answer was no.

Straight Talk had requested they return the phone. WHY??? They had been paid for the phone and the phone had tried to be delivered. To me, it was no longer an issue for Straight Talk. It should have been between me and FedEx. BUT - no... Straight Talk had their money already and now wanted the phone back. Of course I called Straight Talk to see if they would allow me to pick up the phone. (Obviously that would have been too easy.) The answer was no - the answer... "When we get the phone back we will issue you a credit." What kind of thinking is this - when you have been paid for your merchandise and you shipped that merchandise and you have proof that it tried to be delivered to the customers door.

And now of course, I must deal with them trying to get a credit refund. I was given a date that a refund would be issued and of course that date has passed and no refund.... and so the story goes!! I don't understand how a company can have great phone service but such lousy customer service. It just doesn't make sense. Beware of dealing with this company. Be sure that you have lots of time to spend on the phone trying to get something done that is very simple. It seems to be impossible to them!!

I travel south in winter months with my camper and need wireless data service as most of my banking etc is done online; therefore, online access is extremely necessary. In 2016, I purchased a Straight Talk Wireless Data Hotspot and a data card and all worked well. In January, 2017, when I traveled south, I purchased a Straight Talk data card for my hotspot. I called to activate the data card and as usual, I had a person on the line with an accent I could barely understand and they obviously could not understand American English. We attempted to activate the data card, he had me to scratch the back of the card to reveal the access codes, but the activation was unsuccessful. He stated I needed a new SIM card which he would send me free of charge. I gave him necessary information for the SIM card to be delivered by FedEx to my camper as I had no mailing address at that location.

I waited a 10 days and called again to see why I had not received SIM card. I was told FedEx carrier had switched it to U.S. Mail and was undeliverable. I explained again I could receive nothing by U.S. Mail, it absolutely had to come by FedEx, UPS, or HDL and be delivered to my camper. They said they would send another SIM card. This went on over and over again through the end of February 2017 and I spent 13+ hours on the phone with Straight Talk and still did not receive the SIM card. Every Customer Service Rep. I spoke with was located in the Philippines. I finally demanded to speak to someone at their Corporate Office. The person I spoke with at Corporate Office could speak American English clearly but could not help either. I demanded my money back. He gave the information to send back the data card for a refund. I could not return it to Wal-Mart as code on back had been revealed.

I returned the data card in March 2017, along with a letter expressing my displeasure with the company. It is now May 17, 2017, and I received a call from Straight Talk Corporate Office saying they have processed my refund for the data card and I should receive it within 15 to 30 days. I asked why there was not further compensation for my many hours on the phone and trouble but they avoided the question and did not answer. I asked if they do not value customers and if they are interested in keeping their customers and that question was avoided also. Straight Talk and Net10 are subsidiaries of Tracfone. My husband has Tracfone. Needless to say Straight Talk and Tracfone are losing our business. I am sharing this information with many others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

I purchased a new LG G5 smartphone from the Straight Talk web site for my wife and for myself through their SmartPay program. Once it got here it took over 4 hours just to get my phone activated. They kept using that excuse that their phone was not a "Straight Talk Phone" even though I had purchased it from their website. They kept switching me to different departments trying to get it activated. Once I got both phone activated we started to have problems with mobile data issues and the only time I was able to connect to the internet was from home. I called and spent nearly 3 hours trying to get the problems with my wife and my phones resolved to no end. Finally I called and asked for a shipping label so that I could return the phones and have a refund. They send the shipping label but are not going to refund the money.

I am currently sending the matter to a lawyer so that I can sue Straight Talk and their SmartPay, for fraud, selling illegal phone and embezzlement of funds since they are not issuing a refund. If you are looking for a smartphone, you are better off to stick to Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T etc. Straight Talk does not have any customer service and they make excuses for everything that is asked of them, telling you that it is your fault that the EDMI code on the back of their phone is not working. Even their supervisors do not really care. They are just there to try to steal the most money that they can before they have to leave.

I have 4 phones with Straight Talk and unfortunately mine dropped and broke. I got a new one but since I drop them so often I decided to get one of the old phones and have my number transferred to it and replace the old phone with a new one. Simple task, right? Here is what they have managed to do so far. This was on day one and the duration was 4 hours and transferred from Miami to the Philippines. My phone number is completely lost. My daughter's phone is dead and they told me 48 hours and still no activation. They tell me they need to send me a new sim card to activate my phone. (Remember they just said it was lost.) 5 days without two phones, sim card arrives in regular mail. Not FedEx or UPS or DHL.

The sim card they sent was too large and can not be installed in the new phone. I called again, duration 2 hours on the phone, was told that my phone number can be activated if I purchase a Verizon phone from Straight Talk or Walmart. I go get a phone from Walmart. Called them back with a reference number, said 48 hours for the phone to turn on but I will have to pay to turn it on. I told them I had paid for the year and the year was going to be over in October of 2017. They said there was no record of this payment and if I wanted to turn it on I would need a service card or a credit card. This was the final straw. I am now actively looking at other companies that will do what they say and will have the customers interest at heart. My personal advice is to boycott companies like these so we can have the best ones rise while the bad ones sink out of existence.

I have been a customer with Straight Talk Wireless for 2 years (my daughter's phone). Today when she got home from school her phone stopped working. Called Straight Talk and they told me that the phone she has been using has not been used in 1 year (she used the phone today and Straight Talk actually sent her a text today congratulating her on her anniversary of 2 years) and her phone number was changed to another phone and is no longer active in their system. I was transferred to the "higher" team and after 1 hr and 12 minutes I got nowhere. The agent said he could not verify the phone number or account since it was no longer active and then told me the phone again had not been used in 1 year.

I explained it was not possible as we do not have another iPhone 6 and this is the only phone we have been using for months. Then he said he could not verify the phone number so he could not give me any information as to what phone my daughter number is connected to. I explained that there must be some computer glitch because there is no way our account was deactivated and that her phone has not been used in 1 year. I offered to give the agent the account number listed their online system and that I have a account with them and could show that on the account. I explained I have direct debit from my account and that they took the money out so how does my account not exist and it worked 1 hr ago.

I explained and explained this to him and he could only focus on what was on his screen and would not investigate or help. He said the only thing I could do was pay to activate a new account and pay for service again. He said he would not give me a refund for the account I have had with them that disappeared (although I can see it on their website and see all the payments). I asked to speak to his supervisor 6 times and he refused. The gentleman would not let me speak to his supervisor, stating he was busy and could not talk to me. After 1 hr and 12 min I told them to deactivate everything and their error and no investigation. Lost a customer of 2 years. I have never encountered a company with poor customer service and service period. I will be making sure my account is not debited this month since my account does not exist.

I have been a Straight Talk Wireless customer for over two years and bought a Straight Talk iPhone to upgrade to a newer phone. When I called to activate my new phone the customer service representative was rude, disrespectful and told me the phone was a Verizon iPhone and I had to buy a SIM card kit to use it. I think it's one of the biggest scams to sell a phone and then make someone buy not only the service card but a kit that costs another $60. If you sell the phones they should work our of the box once service is added. I will no longer be using Straight Talk not only for this but their overall lack of coverage around the country and it has become more of a headache to keep service with the rude people they hire for customer service.

I'm posting this to share our Kafkaesque, five-month experience with Walmart Straight Talk over a defective phone and their comically terrible service and support. As Walmart Straight Talk has repeatedly proven to be completely unconcerned with the treatment of their customers, The only thing remaining is to share with the world via social media.

Last November Hannah bought a new Galaxy Luna which threw an ‘Invalid SIM’ error within a week. Since then, I have spent countless hours on multiple support chats and calls, been sent several replacement SIM card and phone replacements, and the problem continues to recur. Walmart/Straight Talk has repeatedly refused my request to replace the phone with a different model, or to refund the original purchase price of the phone, as it is more than 60 days after the purchase - notwithstanding the initial failure happened within a week of the initial purchase - and that we had worked through their system for support and followed their instructions from the outset.

Walmart/Straight Talk's customer service throughout this entire experience has been offensively poor. Support reps are powerless to do anything but follow their script - even when the remedies have been tried multiple times and haven't worked - and when this has been documented and painstakingly explained. The corporate response center staff were maddeningly unhelpful - and would only offer to replace the SIM or phone - which has now been done nearly ten times. The automated response on Twitter was equally useless - simply referring customers with concerns to the same unhelpful chat support following the same script.

This is apparently a known issue with the Luna model, evidenced by many reviews on the Walmart website. I've included screenshots of these reviews. Note the 'concerned' responses from 'April' inviting contact at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com - well, I tried that and there's never been a response to messages sent to that address. Same with the automated responses from @myStraightTalk on Twitter. Apparently they have a social-listening system that detects unfavorable mentions on Twitter with a Twitter bot that automatically responds to the tweet, offering help at a link. This link just takes you to the same, ineffective chat support I'd tried a dozen times. All I can say is, if Walmart Straight Talk were an airline, they'd be United beating up old men just trying to get home.

I was upgrading to new phone and Straight Talk disabled my old phone and I am still waiting on SIM card for new phone, week and not even shipped! But yet, they charged me for service for the month. I am just going to Verizon, Straight Talk is horrible.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 phone for use with Straight Talk for a Christmas present for my son. After 2 months of using the phone it would no longer turn on even though it had a full charge. I contacted Straight Talk and they told me to send the phone back and they would send me a replacement phone. I sent the phone back to them and they sent a Samsung Sky replacement phone, which is a much cheaper phone. So I called again and told them that is not the correct model phone and wanted my Samsung Galaxy S6, so they had me send the incorrect phone back.

It's been almost 2 months and I still have not received my replacement phone. I call every week, multiple times a week and get the runaround. I find that when I call, the last representative didn't even update my ticket even though I was told they would put in another request to get the phone sent out. If you want a company that upholds its warranty and doesn't play games, then do NOT use Straight Talk. I'm still waiting for my replacement phone.

I have been with company for seven years. Bought a Galaxy 6, the phone lock, and they was unable to unlock the phone. I only had the phone for about three months, they refuse to address the issues, and customer service, well I know anyone that called understand where l am coming from. Also they don't make that information clear when you buy the phone. Straight Talk will not assist you with any advice on how to proceed, and if need a new phone, or what to do. Also they say they offer a refund, but it's almost impossible to get due to the rules.

I enrolled in the auto-refill option for my monthly plan. The credit card account that was being billed was compromised. While waiting for the new card Straight Talk tried to bill the old card. When the payment didn't go through they shut off the phone, instead of contacting me to ask what the problem was with the card as my other creditors did. When I inquired as to what was going on I was told I'd have to start the auto pay all over again. Then to add insult to injury I was told it would cost me more per month. Despite the fact I've been a long time customer and the credit card being compromised was out of my control they wouldn't give me the monthly plan at the previous rate. I'm very disappointed with Straight Talk's customer service and the lack of putting the customer first. Customers beware!

I drive a truck. I have used this service for over 6 years. It used to work everywhere. Not anymore. More often than not I have either no service or only one bar on my signal which you can't even make a phone call with one bar. No data most of the time unless you are near a big city. Coincidentally I have never used all my data until the month they started offering additional data plans. My data ran out at exactly 14 days into my monthly service plan four months in a row. That in itself is a scam. This phone service has become worthless.

After being with T-Mobile for three and a half years, I decided to switch cellphone providers to save money. I spoke to a representative from Straight Talk Wireless and was told that as long as my cellphone is compatible utilizing their services, I can bring my own phone and keep my number. I went to Walmart to purchase a SIM card. The associate spent over forty five minutes over the phone, trying to turn on the account. She was unable to do that and gave me my money back. I understand that she was trying her hardest to help me, but the website is beyond deceitful. It said that if consumers have cellphones from T-Mobile or Sprint, it's compatible. It didn't mention anything about unlocked cellphones.

I purchased a year long plan after being with them for a number of years. I went over the data usage amount and was told the first month that they would move the next months plan up to restart the data usage. The next month the data ended even quicker than the 1st month and I was told the same thing. This time the data was not restored. I called back the following day and was told I could not get the data moved up and if I bought the 1 month plan I would forfeit my entire year plan, for that 1 month just to get the data repaired. This is a ripoff.

The worst customer service ever and I am not sure if managers are legit. All I have been trying to do for 2 weeks was to get a sims card (my service is already paid for). I spoke to several managers. They say they sent out... went to wrong address (even though I told them my address. Spelled it out slowly 5x)... (Also told them several times I need a Verizon sims card. Gave me the wrong card AT&T). Never received a new sims card and was told they never made a new ticket to send me out by management, even though they gave me a fake confirmation #. Then spoke to a corporate manager I told him everything including names and badge numbers. Was told by corporate manager I was lied to.

The supervisors gave me a 9 digit name badge. Corp said there is only 6 digits. I also told him I wanted to buy the sims card online from the start, he admit that they were having technical support. I been trying to buy a sims card online a few times with the same issues... soo... I am guessing it takes months to fix the issues??? I was also told I would get my month renewed since I haven't had service and still currently don't have service.

Anyways even though I told the corporate the issue he said I could go online!!! Wth. He then said he will mail out another sims card. It will take 2 days. This is on a Thursday 4/13/2017. Then he tells me it will arrive on Tuesday. Anyways I then asked, "Will you still honor to renew my month?" He said no. He can only renew the days missed. It is out of his control to do anymore. I said, "Whatever. How many days will I get?" He then said, "Obviously you're not happy enough for me to send you a new sims card." Avoid the question on how many days and then hung up on me! Not cool.

I never yelled. Never spoke loudly. I was annoyed but I held it together. This is call number 5 and over 5 hours of stress and still no sims card. Now... I just went to Walmart, purchase a news sims card for $60 because now I have to buy another 45 dollar min card with it (they no longer sell just the activation sims card). Anyways I went to activate. It doesn't work! I have to call back now and my chest hurt. My empty money pockets hurt and I got my first gray hair and I named it Straight Talk... sooo mad. Sad and major chest pains. I want to cry. I don't want to call.

I have been having very bad service from Straight Talk. Each month on the first I add a $55.00 card on my account and you're suppose to get 10 gb of unlimited everything so why is it that I just paid my $55.00 on March 31 and here it is April 13th and they are already slowing down my internet speed and this happens every blessed month. The same day I add the money on my card my speed is suppose to be very fast and it's as slow as a turtle and of course I have to call them each month about the same problem. So in total I'm paying $60.89 that's with tax out of my bank each month for service that is horrible. I despise calling customer service because most of them are rude and very hard to understand and half the time they hang up on you.

All day today my $200.00 phone that I bought would not even charge and the red light on my phone kept blinking until the phone died and I honestly think that they do something at Straight Talk because this seems to happen after I bash them on their site telling people who are going thru the same things we are all going thru with this rip off company. And I'm also trying to get the others who are getting ripped off by Straight Talk to turn them in to the BBB and I've even told Straight Talk that I was going to turn them in to the BBB and that's when my phone won't charge. Thank God I have this old phone to use.

Something truly needs done to stop this company. There's no way that I use all my data up in not even two weeks because I'm not even on my phone like that all day and night. I'm about at the end of my rope with them ripping people off. For the $60.00 that I'm paying each month I can go to a better company but I loved Straight Talk because I can get service anywhere with them 'cause I live out in the country. But I'm beyond mad of the fact that I'm not getting the service for all the money I'm paying. Hope somebody can help us out somewhere.

HUGE RIPOFF by Straight Talk prepaid wireless hotspot. BEWARE EVERYONE...YOU WILL NOT GET THE DATA YOU PAY FOR, I BOUGHT 4 GIG PREPAID CARD for $40 plus the device cost me $49.99, and I only got 2 weeks of very, VERY minimal use internet. I know EXACTLY how much data I use every month for the last five years at least on record and my average usage is between 2 to 3 gigabytes per month, and that's with doing everything I enjoy, so I cut back to about a quarter or LESS being very mindful and shutting the device off when I wasn't actively using it, never watching videos or downloading any music or movies, etc. and in 2 weeks the entire 4 gigs is gone!

This company doesn't have an exact list of usage details and that is because they are thieves pure and simple... but what can I do about? WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER AND SUE THIS COMPANY. Please contact me if you are interested in contacting legal counsel to do this! I am furious that these companies are such thieves!

I purchased a $50 5 gig hot spot card as a birthday present to myself to catch up on episodes of my favorite show. I activated the card Thursday morning. After watching 3 full 45 minute episodes, I started another, and the hot spot shut down the internet connection about 20 minutes into the episode. Customer service, who are always awful to deal with, tried to tell me there wasn't a balance left on my card. WHO would pay $50 to watch television for less than 4 hours? Every time I have activated a new card I have to call them because of the same issue! NEVER AGAIN!! I AM SO DONE WITH STRAIGHT TALK! I would strongly advise anyone considering purchasing a hot spot through them to reconsider!

Straight Talk has better coverage and tech support than most I have used before. I have had great luck with their products and services.

Straight Talk is great! I live in a lower level apt. and Verizon is the only service that works in my home… Straight Talk and Verizon service works for me. The price cannot be beat! The only thing I don't like is I can't understand the people who take the calls when you have an issue.

Straight Talk Wireless provides a good product for a decent price but if you ever have technical difficulties it can be trying to get through. They use an out of the country source so they are hard to understand and bad connection.

This is by far the worst wireless company out there. I wanted to unlocked the phones that my beloved brother bought his two kids. My brother passed away this past December and we wanted to transfer the phones to our existing family plan. I explain my situation to Straight Talk and they basically told me that they do not care if my brother died! That the only way they unlocked the phones is if you get deploy. The sad thing is that I was about the provide them with a copy of my brother death certificate!!! Please do not used them. The worst wireless company out there.

I just got a $55 10gb card on March 30. It's now April 4, they sent me a text saying I used up all my 10gbs and now will slow down to 2gb. I hardly use my phone. It seems to me they are starting to be SCAMMERS. They me to go and buy another card and reload to get 10gs again. SCAMMERS SCAMMERS SCAMMERS.

April 3, 2017. The very worst so called customer service on the planet. These people are trained to be abrasive, obnoxious and zero help. Try their best to be asses in word and deed. "Allen" or "Alan" in Bangladesh wasted the entire 45 minutes with redundant **, so called "troubleshooting" to the point of no return or redemption. The next 40 minutes with "Qweenit" was ditto. The ZTE Max Duo, 3 weeks old, yes from Walmart, went blank to never work again. We have posted on our company electronic board, advise folks to stay away from these toxic clowns and Straight Talk if you can. Regards to all; (except all the aforementioned).

This Straight Talk Wireless phone met all our needs. It was meant for a member of our family that was not necessarily responsible and as a temporary plan and to prove their ability to earn another phone.

I've had to deal with horrible customer service every time I've called. What happened to the customer is always right? This time they told me my SIM card would be sent overnight. I ordered it Thursday so it should've been delivered Friday. It's now the end of the day Monday and I still don't have it because they tried delivering it at 1 pm. Who's home at 1 pm on a work day? Not me. I called FedEx to have it delivered after I get home but they told me Straight Talk put a hold on my package and they have to call and have the hold removed in order for me to request stuff.

So I called Straight Talk. Was hung up on 2x. Finally got hold of a supervisor. Told them to call the FedEx number I was provided to take the hold off my package. They told me they couldn't then told me they were transferring me to corporate. Talked to that lady for 20 mins (more like sat on hold for 20 mins) for her to tell me that they don't call anyone to have holds taken-off. That they can't change anything and that my package would be delivered back to Straight Talk’s warehouse. I said I never told you guys to send it back to the warehouse so it better not be getting sent back. After arguing with her about me wanting her to call a number and take the hold off of the package I was suppose to have almost 4 days ago now I finally hung up with her. This is just 1 instance.

In the 4 years I've had Straight Talk any time you have to call one of their incompetent, non-English speaking reps it's always ended with me irritated, problem not resolved, and me hanging up. Now that the other phone companies have cheaper unlimited plans I WILL be leaving Straight Talk for a company that actually helps and cares for their customers when they call with an issue instead of telling their customer there's nothing I can do to help you. DO NOT GET A STRAIGHT TALK PHONE JUST FOR THEIR HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

I have been with Straight Talk for six years and have never had the first problem. They have nice phones. They are also very affordable and offer deals for any budget.

Compare Prepaid Phones