Miami, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.58/5

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

BOTTOM LINE

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

PROS

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

CONS

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carrier to anyone looking for quality service at an affordable price.

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as your phone provider.

Straight Talk Wireless Learn More

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
    • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
    • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
    • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
    • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
    While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
    What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
    Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
    What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
    Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
    Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
    Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
    Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
    Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

In 2013 my family was done with ATT so at that time I researched and for only one line and buying the brand new (at that time) iPhone 5 I would pay at the least amount but most likely more than $100 more over 2 years if I went with Verizon than if I 1st bought the phone then prepaid each month. This was not counting Verizon's extra fees (like if I was late paying a bill). I don't like to be wasteful nor over-consumptive so I went from original iPhone 3 (had used for at least 4 years at that time and it still turns on!) to the iPhone 5 which I'm STILL currently using so I can't even comprehend the amount I've actually saved beyond the original 2 years seeing how I'm on 7.75 years now.

I vaguely remember the initial set up was easy. I'm sure if I called Straight Talk I could continue to use this phone but they have been sending out notifications on how the towers/service is being updated and I need to get a new phone (even tho I made sure I got the iPhone 5 with LTE but just never had them turn it on because I live in a rural area) but I do need a new phone because I've run out of memory years ago so I am planning/researching the newest iPhone 12 and various carriers/plans/etc and came across this and decided I needed to chime in since I've used straight talk for so many years.

Living in rural northwestern Pa we only got better than spotty 1 or 2 bars of service In 1 upstairs bedroom about a year or 2 ago so I've really almost never been able to use a cell at my house except on wifi. Don't have to travel far tho to get signal and I would say I average at least several hours daily using cell service instead of wifi. There have only been 3 times I've had a problem with the service, which was the data all of a sudden wouldn't work, everything else still worked good but just wouldn't connect to internet or had no cell data.

The 1st time it happened (probably after about 2 years in) customer service gave me the run around trying to blame my phone so I had to drive 2 hours to Apple store to have them verify nothing was broke/wrong with the phone itself. In the end(after several calls over a few days) what they had to do was have me on the phone while they called Verizon to have Verizon reset my number with the towers, which I can only imagine the Verizon people giving them a terribly difficult time since yes they are terrible to try to understand because of their accents. I think what the problem was is that periodically Verizon updates their towers and my phone was turned off at my house since I didn't get service so it didn't automatically update.

Anyway the next time it happened I knew what the problem was so when I called in I "slowly" explained (making sure I didn't talk too fast so they could also understand me) that this had happened before (I had written down the dates/names/etc the 1st time it happened so idk if that helped) and how it was fixed and they still wanted me to like factory reset my phone but I just said ya I already had done that because I knew that's what I had to the 1st time even tho I hadn't and it only took 1 call this time and 1 the final time it happened so I actually had excellent experience with customer service the 2nd & 3rd times.

I think part of the problem is that when something isn't working with our phones we're already extremely frustrated but to add on this communication barrier really worsens the situation for ourselves because it's not that we just have a difficult time understanding them but they can't understand us either, so when I called the last 2 times I made sure I sounded extra friendly, not frustrated, made sure I was speaking very clearly and kinda slow so they had a much easier time understanding what I was saying. I never have experienced dropped calls or slowed data but I don't rely on it for constant internet access either so a few years back they came out with more plans around the number of Gb of data and pricing so I think I went from paying $45 to $35 now for the same thing.

From researching a little online I think there might be other prepaid companies like straight talk in my area that might be even cheaper but even tho there are several recent bad reviews for straight talk (many seem to be about trying to buy a phone thru their site which I wan't going to do anyway) I think I'm just going to stick with them seeing how over the years I can't even imagine how much money I've saved and I've hardly had any problems only had to contact them 3 times and the last 2 times were quite pleasant and helpful.

They also have a points program so every time you add a service plan you get so many points but you can also write reviews on social media/their site or watch commercials or play games for points which can be used to get a service plan or towards a new phone. I've seen no mention of their rewards program. It's too difficult for me because of this rewards program and also not knowing anyone else in my area who has some other company to inquire about the reliability, to try to calculate how much or if I'd even save by switching to another prepaid carrier.

If in the future I learn that I'd save a lot by switching then I would consider and I would switch if it would save me at least $50/year I figure every penny counts and at least in the area I live in if I can pay less for virtually the same exact thing then it's a win for me! I figure since there's no contract I can leave straight talk ANY time so if something better/cheaper comes my way then I'll choose that or if straight talks service starts to slow or drop calls then I'd switch but I would definitely recommend straight talk and think that if it's a cheaper option in your area then you should try it and see for yourself if your internet is slower or not you can always switch since there's no contract!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

T-Mobile has dropped calls/poor range, awful customer service, lose your balance if you transfer out, and then they highjack your unlocked phone! T-Mobile cell towers are lacking in most areas unless you live in a "big" city. Forget metropolitan areas. I live just outside Orlando...17 miles from downtown. My service is fine until about the 15-16 mile going home. Inside my house it's intermittent connection. I have to leave my neighborhood to not have a dropped call - that is - if I can make or receive one.

T-Mobile has awful customer service both inside the store and on the phone. Do NOT make the mistake and call the wrong customer service number. Yes, T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid are two different entities. Only the right one can help you. When you do call it's always a long wait times and multiple transfers (repeating the same issue over again and again) to get a problem resolved.

T-Mobile will keep any balance you have left in your account when you port out. No refunds. What's worse, after you port out they highjack your phone! I straight-up OWN my UNLOCKED phone. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer and I brought the darn thing to T-Mobile. When I finally ported out to Straight Talk my phone kept telling me it was locked and I had to contact T-Mobile. Seriously?! Another customer service call. They made me download their "T-Mobile Device Unlock" App. I am soooo happy to be done with T-Mobile.

Straight Talk uses either Verizon or AT&T towers (your choice based on the some card) and I chose AT&T, which has been perfect! No more dropped calls and their customer service has been good. I buy month to month auto-refill and save a dollar. No more choosing my dollar amount to load. They also have a rewards program. Plus, I asked them... Straight Talk does not lock your phone if you port out! Bonus points Straight Talk for doing things right.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have the unlimited plan $45 month with 25 GB of data. Because I have it on autopay I only actually pay $44.49 month saving me hundreds of dollars over other brands. With Straight Talk you must either "Bring your own Phone" or buy one upfront. I think now they do over payment plans for purchasing phones but I usually just buy one then sign up. I've been using straight talk ever since I dropped Sprint when I got my first cell phone thru Avon. It didn't have good coverage like Straight talk did in my rural area & whenever I traveled it seemed my phone was the only one with service so that's a bonus. Best coverage, good rates just not happy with customer service. You never speak to anyone in USA & they don't speak/understand English as well as they should. There's no other company I'd use right now due to coverage & cost that Straight talk wouldn't be superior. Love my Straight talk plan (I have the new Samsung Galaxy S10+).

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

We purchased this phone after being assured that we could unlock the phone and use it in Canada. All the people we spoke with at Walmart and Straight Talk are liars. This phone is nothing but an expensive paper weight. I will be filing a formal complaint with the FCC/FTC.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had to file 2 BBB complaints in the last three months over their complete lack of customer service. I've had their employees hang up on me, put me on hold and never return, yell at me, refuse to transfer me to someone else. One guy let me listen to his dog bark for 20 minutes while he couldn't figure out how to transfer me to the correct department. They lied to both me and the BBB in my first complaint in November. They do not back up their products, service, or any other programs.

If you have a problem you will be shunted through a series of low level employees who read a script of what they're suppose to say and do not know anything beyond that script. Getting an answer or a solution is next to impossible. If you wish to leave, you cannot take your phone with you as they will not unlock it unless that phone, not your number, the phone has been in service with them for over a year. I've had to buy 4 phones in the last 4 years with them, their phones don't last a year.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

For 5 consecutive months Straight Talk has changed my plan mid-cycle and taken away all of my data. Every time I have contacted their tech support which is no help whatsoever! They tell me that there is nothing they can do for me. The options given to me are: 1) pay for extra add on data at $10 per GB (or maybe 2GB), 2) wait until the end of my billing cycle and go without data, or 3) upgrade back to the plan I was strangely kicked off of mid-cycle and pay extra since I'd be giving up my current service and restarting a new service! Twice I have even paid extra to immediately reinstate my (supposed unlimited 60GB) data in order to do my job. Because of this happening so many times I'm going back to postpaid through another provider. Sure it costs more but there's much less nonsense to deal with.

For the record I feel that straight talk has ripped me off. For example, in the end of December I had to pay an extra $60 to get my data back by starting a new cycle early. In the process I lost 10 days of prepaid service. After 10 days of "unlimited" data they kicked me off of my plan into a lower data plan (5th month in a row) thus causing me to lose ALL of my data yet again!! Tech support offered ZERO help as usual. Again, they gave me the three above options. I consider these actions stealing from their customers! Keep in mind that I'm using nowhere near the 60GB per month. As far as I'm concerned they owe me data that was taken from me 5 times and at the end of this cycle I will never give them another cent!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Straight Talk is great for prepaid cellular service... Just make sure you don’t have ANY problems that come up to where you have to call and speak to someone. The CS employees/agents/associates are some of the most condescending, down-right rude people I have ever had to speak with. I work for a company that activates prepaid and postpaid phones with different carriers. I dread having to call Straight Talk every time. The agents get irritated at me when I can’t hear them because of background noise or feedback... on their end.

When guiding me through whatever issue I called about, they speak to me like they think I am stupid. They literally use a tone that’s so condescending, it makes the entire conversation frustrating... Nobody likes to be made to feel stupid, especially when dealing with electronics and technical phone issues with service. The last phone call I had to make was due to the customer I had not being able to access their account. Every time we tried to enter a password, we got an error no matter what account or password we used.

I tried everything I could to help out... reinstalling the StraightTalk app, changing passwords through email links, creating a new account, and even creating an entirely new email account to create a new Straight Talk account! I finally called StraightTalk. The person I spoke to was nice in the first couple minutes, but became increasingly rude when I explained to her that I had already done everything she was instructing me to do. She ended up HANGING UP ON ME while I was trying to change the customers Straight Talk password for the 4th time!

My boss has had the same issues with StraightTalk as well. We have had to speak to manager after manager, and they’re usually worse than the associates! Working in Customer Service myself, it’s absolutely awful to have someone in the same position treat me like I am beneath them, like I’m too stupid for them to deal with. These CS representatives need better training when it comes to how to speak to people on the phone. It’s very frustrating having to call in the first place, but to have a person (whose job it is to help with issues) speak to people like they’re idiots is even MORE infuriating. Do better, Straight Talk.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information