Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1176 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Reception: 5 Stars

Customer Service: 1 Star

I've been with ST for a long time, probably 15 years. The reception you will get depends on the towers your phone will use. For example, my old phone worked off AT&T towers, so my reception was so-so. I could make calls and texts, but sometimes my texts would take 2 minutes to leave my phone. But I upgraded to a 5G phone that runs off Verizon towers, so now my service is lightning fast. It does things as fast as my fingers can move. It's awesome! Different phones will work off different towers, so do your research and talk to others in your area to find out which companies have good coverage.

Now the bad. Customer Service. It's abysmal. It used to be really good and you could get your phone up and running in less than an hour. But my new phone switched from at&t to Verizon, it took over 20 calls over a 2 day period to get my number ported from one to the other. I could get to a certain point in the call and then I got cut off. 20 times. I'm not joking---my roommate and I counted! I finally went to bed and tried the next day. Same thing. But finally the universe smiled on me and I got connected to the right person and she had it up and running in less than two minutes. It was beyond frustrating. It was so bad I had called Mint Mobile and ordered a trial pack. So, in conclusion, as long as it is working, life is great. If you have to call customer service, God be with you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Save $30 each month. Start up was hard. If using FedEx delivery, use the more experience service option, or buy at WalMart. Went to library and used WiFi until phone number transferred. It's a bit tricky if you keep your own number. Great speed and access.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: May 6, 2022

At one point within minutes 20G of hotspot was used up. I Googled it and my husband should have been able to stream Netflix for 20 hours. But for this company it is used up within minutes or hours. People are getting ripped off by this company. It's 65 plus tax to get the hotspot but it's not worth it.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I purchased two phones total $800 dollars and I got hacked And I reset my phone's and they can't even help me cause I got another phone number from them and I called and they said they don't recognize the number they gave me and said they couldn't even help me. I've been with this company for six years and have had other issues with them. Calling them and waiting for long periods and etc. Sick of it and I'm going with another company. Can't believe it $800 down the drain now I'm stuck with two phones that are worthless. Never again Straight Talk.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Bought both a Samsung Galaxy A-51 and Samsung Galaxy A-12. Both were just fine until a few days ago. Can't access apps that I could before on either phone. Nobody at any cell phone company can Help me. Since they are sold and purchased at Walmart. You would think they would service their phones. NOT TRUE. Been to 3 separate Walmarts in 2 different Counties, Lancaster and Berks Counties in Pennsylvania. Spent $555 for one Including several months of UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. Same with the Samsung Galaxy A-12. A TOTAL WASTE of A LOT OF MONEY. BOUGHT USED CARS FOR LESS.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Am in the process of porting my phone to another company. Straight Talk says my account is IMEI number on phone. But it's a PREVIOUS phone IMEI. 6 hours on hold and dropped lines, NO HELP. Online or on phone, they could not find how to get my account number. But they DID take my money very quickly. Very hard to get to a human, then the human could not help. Their website would grey-out my screen, and tell me to call A DISCONTINUED 800- NUMBER! The IMEI number (only last 4 digits) the human saw was to a dead/dismembered/broken phone, but human could not get the full IMEI to port the phone. Their website would not let me see the "account number" and would not allow me to edit the IMEI on record.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I bought an unlocked phone that when I changed companies. Tmobile (who I highly recommend) says is locked, I have been on the phone and paid the $6 scam fee to unlock my phone. 4 days later I am still on the phone trying to unlock my "unlocked" phone. I have been told 3 times that I was sent an email and I still have not received an email with the unlock code. I am now being ask why don't I just buy more minutes from their company. Extreme Scam!!!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information