Miami, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.20/5

Straight Talk Wireless is a phone retailer and network provider with coverage across the United States. Service plans start at around $30 per month. Customers don’t have to sign a contract to get a 30-day unlimited talk and text plan. Select from new or refurbished smartphones and devices. Devices and plans are available online and at Walmart stores.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have used this company for my phone needs for years now. It has worked for my needs by being reasonably priced and useful when I need it. The one complaint is that they do throttle data near the end of the month. It would also be helpful if the calls didn't drop in my house when I try to talk. This phone is an Android based device so I wonder if that also has something to do with the spottiness of calls. I would recommend this to anyone that does not want to be shackled by contracts. The main drawback for some is you have to buy your phone up front.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have the unlimited plan $45 month with 25 GB of data. Because I have it on autopay I only actually pay $44.49 month saving me hundreds of dollars over other brands. With Straight Talk you must either "Bring your own Phone" or buy one upfront. I think now they do over payment plans for purchasing phones but I usually just buy one then sign up. I've been using straight talk ever since I dropped Sprint when I got my first cell phone thru Avon. It didn't have good coverage like Straight talk did in my rural area & whenever I traveled it seemed my phone was the only one with service so that's a bonus. Best coverage, good rates just not happy with customer service. You never speak to anyone in USA & they don't speak/understand English as well as they should. There's no other company I'd use right now due to coverage & cost that Straight talk wouldn't be superior. Love my Straight talk plan (I have the new Samsung Galaxy S10+).

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Update on 11/7/2019: Today 7 November 2019, changed phone service from sprint back to Straight Talk. On the landline for 1½ hours with Ivy. She had the patience of...she just had the patience to put up with me. We did have a good time. I tried to change service by myself and that did not work. So I called customer service and was put through to Ivy. For the next 1½ hours she worked with me to get the service changed to Straight Talk. She worked with the Sprint SIM card and got me all set up and I kept my same phone. I believe using with SIM card did have to reboot the phone and start all over. Understand, because I don't live on the phone. I can reload all my data and phone numbers and I'm okay with that and I'm still using the Sprint SIM card, so I'm returning the "Keep your own phone, SIM activation kit" to Walmart...never had to open. Paid up online, good to go.

Sometimes customer service is really amazing. So if you are going to change service to Straight Talk and talk to a live person, in customer service, be very patient, understanding and nice and ask to have them say something over, they will and be nice about it. Please understand I know to be patient and understand getting something done can take time, but the end result is what counts and I'M BACK TO STRAIGHT TALK. So have a nice day.

Original Review: I have been reading reviews of Sprint and Cricket and Straight Talk. I agree with everybody about your services, good or bad. But I will say had Straight Talk from March 2015 and for me the service was great. Just saying. Service, phone no problem. Never had a drop call. Signal was always strong. Phone worked in my basement. Changed phones 2 times, fast and easy and kept my number. Okay called one time and that was when I was making my first phone change. I don't what to say, but the customer service was cooperative, friendly and fixed my screw up trying to change phone. You don't have to believe a word I'm saying, but I'm sitting at my computer and really can't bad mouth Straight Talk for anything. So if you try Straight Talk, may the force be with you.

Because my wife pays for my phone service, I don't question her judgment. Now the bad news, she switch us to, wait for it, Sprint. Sprint no signal, very poor signal, hard to understand people if the call gets through. No or low bars. Put on the wrong plan and did not figure that out until later. Wife and I agree now, Sprint is, bad for us, may be great for other people. My wife wants to try Cricket, I'm going to see if I can get her to go back to Straight Talk. Oh well, have a nice day and I hope everybody finds the best and right phone service.

Original review: July 5, 2020

You are unable to unlock a phone that hasn't been active (sim active) for 12 months despite how long you have been a customer using the same account. I was rapidly deployed (US military on 7/4/2020) and now I have waited days (since 7/1/2020) to complete this routine task. Additionally it took calling 2 times before someone told me my most recent sim had only been active like 6 months. I have been a loyal customer since Dec 2012. Unacceptable Straight Talk. Phones that are bought and paid for should come unlocked or at a minimum be able to be unlocked using a customer service representative.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Ported my number first. Then attempted to port my wife’s number... she’s not had service for 5 days, we have well over 14 hours on the phone with them bounced between Straight Talk and TracFone... same company by the way. Now she can’t even revert back to old service because they say it’s not our account that the number in question has been a TracFone number for 4 years. We’ve had that number for 3 years with AT&T. Still on the phone getting bounced back and forth. Personally I would have given up by now and just got a new number.

Original review: June 16, 2020

2 phones in 3 mos, same defect in both. My 73 yo mom should go w/o phone until they get the defective one and decide to fix it or send a new one out. OR she can purchase a new one and send old one back at her expense. They won’t even let her return it to the ST retailer she purchased from. That wasn’t mentioned in their “All ST phones come with a warranty” claim.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I was Stupid enough to have service with them. Don't do it!! the customer service is non existent, you wont be able to understand them!! Its always, "We cant help you, you are ** out of luck, Sorry about your luck!!" There are plenty of better cheaper options out there that will actually treat you good depending on the network you want to use. I switched and I am so happy I did!! please do your self a favor and stay far away from this company or any of its sister companies. Here are all of the companies they own {TracFone Wireless, NET10 Wireless, Total Wireless, Safelink Wireless, Straight Talk, Telcel America, SIMPLE Mobile, and. Page Plus Cellular.} Do yourself a favor and stay far far away!! You can get much cheaper and better service on any of the 4 networks elsewhere.

Original review: June 12, 2020

The service is buggy and often slow, but the customer service is worse. I spent over 6 hours on the phone with customer service and they kept putting me on hold, telling me lies, and then hanging up on me when they were transferring me. After repeatedly telling me the problem was my iPhone, they admitted they had made an error in their setup and the problem was fixed. Their online support is terrible. Only a limited chat bot. Their phone support had me pulling out my hair. After wasting so much of my time and me having to go a week without the service I paid for working, they seemed to think I should be so excited they finally fixed their error. No refund for lost time or reparations for my lost time and frustration.

Straight Talk Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team