Miami, FL

1.4/5 (73 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Save $30 each month. Start up was hard. If using FedEx delivery, use the more experience service option, or buy at WalMart. Went to library and used WiFi until phone number transferred. It's a bit tricky if you keep your own number. Great speed and access.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

The drop calls lately are a nuisance especially when I’m making a very important call. But the price is good and earning points are great. The phone is ok for being an IPhone 6.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Everything was fine until I had to upgrade because of them upgrading their services. Then I qualified for a free phone they offered for the upgrade. The worst problem I ever had. The piece of junk refurbished phone they sent and sim did not work. I needed my phone for work and cannot log in to anything to do my job without it. I talked to different people 2 days straight and no one was able to help. I don't even think they cared to help. So I left the service alone altogether. I wasted extra money on a sim kit from Walmart and it still didn't work with the piece of junk phone. So I was left without a phone and no way to sign in for work. This company does not care about its customers. They just want money. Do yourself a favor and don't deal with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I wish I was able to give zero stars. Straight Talk ported my number without my authorization. I've been trying to get my number back for four days. The representatives are absolutely useless. They just give the same scripted answers regarding getting my number back. I would not recommend service with them. The old saying is true: you get what you pay for.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I attempted to transfer my cell phone number to another phone temporarily while my original phone would be repaired for a long period of time. During the transfer, it failed. The chat representative was unable to assist me and told me to call. I call, spoke to a man in India working from home with children screaming in the background. I was unable to hear him well, but he told me there was an error transferring the number. He cancelled the transfer which essentially removed my number from the system entirely. I've lost my phone number of 10 years. On top of this, they then charged me service for this number that I no longer had, and refuse to give me a refund. I've called 5 times each time having to speak to more than one rep as "another dept does refunds". I've gotten to the point where I can not do anything besides dispute the charge. This company has horrible customer service practices and I will be moving on to another service provider soon.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

They LIE, LIE, LIE, they received my broken phone back one week ago. I keep getting the run around trying to get my phone replaced. Well today I was told the phone is not in stock and they could not upgrade to a different model. I asked for them to send my old phone back, and was told they could not do that. What, I own that phone, it belongs to me. How can you not send me back what rightfully belongs to me? I may end up purchasing a new phone, but I will not let this just die As my phone did.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Filed a complaint with the BBB. Under lease contract with a very specific phone and my contract said they will replace my phone up to 2 times. Contacted Straight Talk through chat, explained I had a broken screen, am I eligible to get another phone, same model. "Oh yes, mam." I recieved an email with a scan code on it to print a label at UPS store and sent it in, expecting equivalent in return. I get a smaller phone, no expandable memory and they tell me that's what I'm getting although I paid $600 for the phone I wanted.

Called lease company. They gave me a reduction and insisted paying off the lease was a great idea. Now talking to Tracfone headquarters, the lady tells me they don't do any such returns, and the lease company handles that, well I call the lease company and they tell me they don't handle phones and there would be nothing they could do about it now because Straight Talk has sent me a completely different model.

I've been with this company for almost a decade, always had auto payments on and even bought an overpriced phone and all I got was lies, and screwed. She said just today, "You're not eligible for a different phone now." No kidding because this happened in October and I was under lease and that is the only time frame that matters as far as I don't have a phone equivalent to the phone I paid for. I am researching now any company that does decent pricing that do not deal with Tracfone, most do, so do your homework and stay the heck away from this company. They lie, they refuse to resolve issues and they shouldn't even be accredited for these reasons.

The worst service I have ever dealt with and I've dealt with a lot of companies and not one has ever consistently lied, or intentionally did something underhanded. Will be no longer a Straight Talk or with any affiliation of this company. There's a few left out there that don't use this awful company. I'll gladly pay more for a service and company that actually tries to resolve issues that was their mistake completely 100%, all I did was ask if I could get a replacement of my model phone and now I'm lied to and talked over top of. I think the phone brands need to make sure these companies aren't pissing off people with sending them inadequate replacement and make things right when they're clearly in the wrong. Goodbye Straight Talk. Lord help you if you ever need a phone replacement, because you dont know what you'll get, guarantee it won't be better then what you had.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information