Straight Talk Wireless

Miami, FL

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was previously a Sprint Customer. I got tired of the cost constantly increasing every month so I decided to try Straight Talk. My fiance is using it and has for several years. She has never had any problems even when we are out of town out of state. Your phone seems to work everywhere we traveled so I was convinced to tried Straight Talk and it seemed to work good for her so I hoped it would work the same for me in which it does. At this point I have had zero problems with my service. I'm very pleased to have switched to Straight Talk and cut my bill in more than half the great service.

They steal data that I purchased and then will not give it back. They do this usually towards the end of the month to get us to renew sooner than the renew date. My husband was on their app while also speaking to them, complaining that the previous day it showed he had used 3g when he had not even been using his phone that day. We had a day full of appointments as we are both disabled. I was with him and Knew he hadn't been on his phone and he turns his data off when he isn't using it. As he was on the phone with them he watched on his phone his data dropped another 2G leaving him at the snail pace with a week to go. They have done this numerous times and also you can never understand their customer service reps.

Bought a $20.00 flip phone to make have service at my home that is remote in the mountains. All you can buy is 1500 minutes, you don't get all of them it expires every 30 days for $30.00. I wanted to go with another service and found out I have to stay with this lying company for a year, only had the phone for 2 months. It says NO CONTRACT, it's a prepaid phone, went round and round with this company and no resolve. THEY ARE LIARS, THE REP HUNG UP ON ME, I STILL REMAIN. **, STAY AWAY FROM LIARS.

I had Straight Talk years ago and had forgotten just how bad customer service was. I decided this week to give then a 2nd chance, since I am with Walmart Family Mobile (T-mobile) and the coverage is bad. I purchased the AT&T sim from ST. Problem #1, Straight Talk only sends sims out signature required but only charges $.01 for them. I had to dance with FedEx for 3 days trying to arrange pickup. I forgot that with ST, you better give them a work address. Trying to use their online activation did not work. I was promptly charged $48 to my credit card. 24 hours later no activation. I spent hours over 2 days trying to get help including getting a refund (still waiting on that).

They refused to remove my credit card from the auto-billing even though they never activated the SIM. I went through the usual inability to speak to a human, transferred a million times, hung up on during a transfers. I had to keep demanding to talk to someone that could help. I finally got my credit card removed from automated billing. The sim still shows on my login as "Activation in Process" despite demanding that be stopped, a refund applied, and removing my credit card from my profile, which you can't do on your own. I had to change my password with my current provider in hopes that the sim card showing "Activation in Process" doesn't randomly kick in sometime in the future. The company works ok, as long as you never need customer service.

I have been with Straight Talk for about 4 to 5 years and my phone was having trouble with my internet and making calls. So I called and asked if they can replace the days I lost when my phone was not working. They said yes so the lady told me when I hang up turn my phone off and then back on. So I did, come to find out they lied. So I called back and told the manager what happened and she got very very rude with me. So I changed providers and very happy that I am not with Straight Talk anymore. They are none caring Liars!!! So if you looking to get with Straight Talk please rethink. They are a bad phone providers. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

I needed to get a new phone for my son and so I decided to go online and try and order. The order process was simple. I had more choices online than In Wal-Mart. So I get my phone today and guess what the case didn't even match the phone... Wow... It's too big, From a different phone altogether. I'm So upset. Now I have to send it back and hope I get a refund and Now I'm heading to Wal-Mart to purchase one. I'm not even sure I want to use Straight Talk again because the 45 min phone call I just made did not help. And I got transferred 2 times and It was ridiculous.... So Upset and Angry.

The customer service leaves much to be desired with long wait times. Also, the website has frequent issues when purchasing service plans and auto-enroll. But the price is good and the high speed data is acceptable until I need more internet availability.

Straight Talk Wireless is the worst run cell carrier in the history of communication! Never before have I experienced such complete and utter disregard for customer satisfaction! The fact that the location of the overpaid staff is in the Philippines is of paramount concern. The people working at the call center show an obvious contempt for American customers. Economic resentment came through loud and clear, especially from Winnie... If that is in fact her real name. The subsequent calls to this office were met with very similar condescension and attitude. Under a new administration FINALLY, I hope our legislature has the foresight to enact a law whereby ANY SERVICE PROVIDING COMPANY must employ a domestic customer support team where there is some personal accountability!

When dealing with the Philippines or any other nation where cheap wages benefit the LACK OF SERVICE PROVIDER, there is no protection for domestic consumers. Corporate greed abounds, WE GET IT... but if you're going to do business and take advantage of the spoils in a domestic economy, it's high time you companies are required to base your customer support operations where respect and accountability are recognized as virtues not scapegoated by ungrateful foreign labor!

I have been with Straight Talk for over 7 years. At first, the data was excellent. Now, I spend upwards to $130 a month just to have data. In 2 days of using my data, they slow it down to "2G speed". Then, when you call, they claim that you have used up your allotted data and tell me to buy another plan. I am absolutely tired of spending this kind of money for so-called phone service. I hate Straight Talk. They are the worst phone company now and I would rather use a company that barely picks up where I live than to keep spending this kind of money for service I can only use for 3 days. Makes no sense.

I've only had Straight Talk now for over a month. The initial set up at WalMart was awful. I Was on hold for over 2 hours till someone helped and then it ended up that the person at Straight Talk messed up entering my info in so I ended up with almost 2 days of no service. But it was real easy to set up account for automatic billing. Also, the price is cheaper than other providers, and even cheaper if pay in advance.

Three days ago I switched from Sprint to Straight Talk to save a few dollars. BIG mistake. At first it was fine but after getting warnings strangely the first few days of use for data usage I checked my phone. It showed less than 1GB used but Straight Talk app showed 5GB in just 3 days! I only used 5GB a month through sprint for years. On the third day I had no internet despite spending $45 for unlimited text data and phone. I called and a foreigner says I used up all my data. I explained that's impossible that it's unlimited and only should lose high speed after 5GB not lose internet for good, plus I told them that my phone showed less than 1GB. The woman insisted I used 6GB lol. She continued to insist I buy more data. I said no way to let me speak to her manager. She proceeded to tell me she would transfer me then hung up on me! I called back two more times yet kept being told I used all my data.

I explained I have had service for 3 days. No movies or streaming not nothing to cause such a thing plus they are supposed to go to 2GB not total loss of data. Well spent the day on the phone with Sprint who is awesome and does not throttle or suspend my service and not only did they give me a free phone they also gave me a $300 credit for returning. Thank goodness since Straight Talk ripped me off a $45 card and a $200 phone plus taxes. Do not go to Straight Talk if you use any data.

I had used Straight Talk for years now - got a new phone for my birthday and have had nothing but trouble since, phone is a Luna. Now every time I travel to another state even my SIM card goes bad - they will not overnight a new one - they tell you it will be two days but it never is. This time I was to have by Monday but now - not until next Monday. My phone has not worked more than it has worked since DEC - no one there cares. I have asked to speak to supervisors, customer service - someone that cares. Sometimes they transfer me and then pretend they care and then hand up on me - hours on the phone have resulted in no one caring at all. They did confirm that you cannot travel outside of your zip code? Seems strange to me. I wish I had known this - avoid!

Had an old phone through Straight Talk that we hadn't used for almost a year. They refused to unlock it because it was inactive. Said I could activate it, pay for a month of service I wouldn't use, and then they would unlock it that same day. Sounds like extortion to me. We bought and paid for the phone and should be able to use it with whatever carrier we chose. Worst part is my husband still used them, just upgraded his phone almost a year ago. Customer service in India SUCKS! Rude and a total jerk!

Have been a Straight Talk customer for 6 years. Phone service recently became intermittent in areas where I had 3 and 4 bars of signal. Also some MMS text messages did not download. No pattern, some did and other did not regardless of size. Second call to customer no service the agent actually got on the phone with T-Mobile (apparently who carry my service for ST) who recognized a problem on the account and set up a repair request that was to be completed within 72 hours. Of course that did not happen and I have called back three times to follow up. No agent looks back to see what the problem has been. We just start over with the same repair sequence during every call. One agent actually told me after 20 minutes on the phone that she could not access my account information and to call back later. REALLY! How about you have all of the information and call me when my phone service is fixed!

You will be happy with ST as long as you have no problems. However, if you ever have a need for customer no service do not expect anything more than an Indian accent, lots of Indian babble in the background. You will be spoken to but do not expect anyone to listen on the other end. Oh and if you they ever say they are sending you another SIM card beware! They don't tell you that your phone is rendered out of service until you receive the new card. Don't expect a rush shipping either. Mine took 3 and 5 days. The second one had to be shipped because the witless agent disabled the card that I had just received when I called to activate it. Hmm, if we just understood the English language... I would like to rate ST at 0 out of 5 stars. Now looking for another carrier.

After having a contract with Verizon for many years I decided the cost was outrageous and switched to Straight Talk. My kids were grown and recently opened their own phone accounts so today it's just me. I purchased the "unlimited talk, text, and data" which gives you 5 gigs of "high speed data" which becomes 2 gigs thereafter unlimited. In 14 years with the Verizon unlimited plan we (my two teenage kids and I) had never used more than 10 gigs of data, and I had never gone over 3 gigs personally. Now that's with 2 teenagers using YouTube, Snapchat, even etc. every single day. HOWEVER, my very first full month with Straight Talk, I used over 5 gigs! IMPOSSIBLE! And I've heard this same story from the only two other people I know with Straight Talk plans.

It's 5 gigs of "high speed data" nonsense. Clearly 5 gigs with Straight Talk is NOT the same as 5 gigs with Verizon even though I'm on a Straight Talk Verizon carrier plan! There is NO WAY that I make it through 14 years and never use more than 3 gigs any given month, or my two teenage kids never using more than 7 gigs of data any single month, then on Straight Talk I'm over the first and second month! Trust me, 5 gigs of Straight Talk high speed data is. It the same as 5 gigs of Verizon data. Somehow they're ripping us off. Consumer Affairs should look into this, or a good class action attorney. I'll bet we hear about a winning lawsuit in the future! Mark my words. My advice... save yourself the headache. Stay away from Straight Talk because it's anything but "straight talk."

Please do not use Straight Talk! When I started I asked before I bought a phone if the one I wanted was unlockable after a year. They told me it was. Now I want to unlock it and they tell me that certain phones of theirs are unlockable! They offered to buy back my 449.00 phone for 55.00! (They wouldn't budge on that.) So if you think you might want to change carriers in the future don't go with Straight Talk!

I have been with this company for over 2 1/2 years. But I'm no longer continuing my service with them. I'm paying for high-speed data 10 Gb every month. I do not have a good enough signal to receive high-speed. I have made every attempt to try and get this resolved. I have spent hours sitting on hold while I hear them having a party in the background. They say the same thing. "We are checking your phone." I have reset my phone 10 times this month. They have reset my SIM card also. They tell me that "the first 10 Gb you use counts as high-speed data even though you're not receiving the high-speed." Then to beat all, they reset my phone with a area code that's hundreds of miles away from me. Plus they are extremely rude and do not want to help.

I will chalk this up as a loss and move on to T-Mobile also. I do not have one single bar on the signal right now as I type this review. DO NOT BUY STRAIGHT TALK. They really have no customer service or tech dept. I'm very unsatisfied and I will post this on every site I see that has a review section ABOUT STRAIGHT TALK. I'm hoping that people will read this and try any other company that has no affiliation with TracFone better known as Straight Talk. Don't waste hundreds of dollars like I did with their product. Our country should have guidelines they must follow order for them to sell their products here in the States. They do not honor their product. And we have nobody enforcing a code of ethics to keep this company from SCAMMING us out of our hard-earned underpaid dollars.

Wish I did not have to assign a star. Since there is one there I would go -10 (NEGATIVE 10). I was a customer since 2009. Yep their customer service was awful but they were the only game in town. In the past couple of days I have found they have reached a new high in lows. My wife's phone was not seeing the sim card. They sent a new one. I installed still did not see. Tech support was clueless told me to go outside to see if it would receive. Phone was bad. Tried using them and order a phone. Money comes out of the account. No confirmation on shipping. Hours on phone and chat supply order number from two separate documents. Say order number is not good. Tell them I want to cancel and money back. They say no can do. Possibly in 30 days.

Frustrated beyond belief we call our bank and dispute charges. We will have money in account in ten days. I have had it with these so called professionals. I was on auto pay so I go to remove all credit cards. The site will not let you remove card information. It will let you change. Engaged in the 10,000,000th chat and asked why I could not remove. Had to tell the support three different times and they refused to help for the second time today. When I looked at the charge they had my name attached to my wife's card. Tomorrow I will call the bank and make sure they honor nothing from Straight Talk (now named Crooked Mumble). Crooked Mumble is not the only game in town. Run and hide from Crooked Mumble. Verizon, AT&T and the standards offer these services. Prices are close. Look me up maybe we can get a class action suit going.

This is literally the worst service I've ever had. I do not recommend this service for anyone. Since I switched phone after my Galaxy s5. Stopped working. I bought a LG phone that was a Straight Talk phone and ever since then I started to only receive about 50 percent of my text. I called to get a refund and they would not give me one. I have talked to 4 different people about this and each one is less helpfully. One representative told me that I wasn't receiving my msgs because my wifi was on. Excuse me... That's the dumbest god damn thing I've ever heard. If I could give them 0 stars I would. 10/10 ** phone and customer service I've ever dealt with. Bottom line you get what you pay for. So definitely use any other major carrier. ** OFF STRAIGHT TALK. YOU PIECES OF **.

I will never use this service again and will advise all friends and family to do the same. I have been a customer since 2009, always with 2-3 lines. Every single time I have needed to contact this company I have been met with either "we do not know how to do that" or "I'm sorry, let me send you another SIM card. That will fix the problem". I work for another cell company, and I know how to easy it is to do the simple tasks I ask Straight Talk to do because you as a customer do not have that access.

Recently, I bought an iPhone with their company from Walmart. Package had not been opened, but it did not come with a SIM card in the package. So I tried to activate it, thinking maybe this particular model did not need a SIM. I received an error message, so I had to call them. I was told they would send me a new SIM in the mail because I needed one to activate the phone. So I waited almost a week for the new SIM. When I received it, I put the SIM in the phone and activated it. I received another error. So I called them again. I was told the SIM card they had sent me had been activated with another number. I spoke with them for over an hour trying to get it straightened out. The end result was, too bad. Sorry we wasted your time and couldn't do anything. So I am selling all of my phones that I had through them and going to another company. Maybe they will better value customers that stay with them for 8 years.

Finally got fed up with Verizon and went to Straight Talk. Walmart had a phone center in the store. The clerk was very helpful in explaining everything to me, and also helped set it up and transferred my old number to the new phone. Also the price was very low... Got a phone for $19, and monthly unlimited service plan for $45, which is a lot lower than what I had with my old Verizon phone, and that didn't even have any service other than talk-phone. Have not had any problems at all.

I had Straight Talk in the past but it was unlimited everything. Talk, text, data. Nowadays they slow down your speed of your data after a certain gb but Straight Talk was always supposed to have a truly unlimited everything plan.

I have been using Straight Talk for about three years. The initial set up was not easy and made more difficult by the customer support set up. But, thankfully once I got it all online and gave in to automatic payments I was able to manage my household's phones with relative ease. Recently, our household relocated and we found this service was no longer our best option. We decided to go with another provider that had better local service, and reduced costs. The representative was unable to get my phone to transfer over and suggested I go home and plug it in to my computer to resolve due to security I use for my apple products. The phone still would not activate. We worked with the new provider and Apple thinking the disconnect was us from 11:00 am until 4:30 pm when finally we discovered from a back office technical support rep that it was likely Straight Talk locking the phone.

I reached out to Straight Talk who informed me that they cannot unlock the phone until I have had it 365 days, and this phone was at 200 days. I was on my second phone because the first one I bought through Straight Talk stopped working at no fault of mine. I have been paying Straight Talk for 3 years and I bought each of these phones 100% on my own. This was explained and I was still denied basic customer service. I DO NOT recommend using Straight Talk to anyone. I would recommend opting for providers without predatory set ups that allow you to manage your electronics (as they should).

Okay, I have Cricket Wireless, but I wanted to get a second line, with a different carrier. So while Verizon is very dependable, their plans, features and prices are horrible. So I decided to try the Verizon MVNO, Straight Talk. What a GIANT mistake! First of all, their Customer Care is atrocious! They will either have no idea what you are talking about, or they will talk down to you. They hang up, after getting in their rude, jabs. They are just awful!

Service wise, Straight Talk is also atrocious. You can't talk on your phone, while surfing the Internet, at the same time. Which it is 2017 and every other carrier offers this already! The speeds and connections are slow. Since Verizon customers get top priority over Straight Talk users, we are left with the junk services. Also, their unlimited claim is a flat-out lie! I had purchased the 10GB's LTE plan, with the supposed Unlimited 2G speeds, after that. I had used over 50GB's in a month (I maintain a website & backup/restore a lot of content from Google Drive). After going to up to this level, two months in a row, my service was turned off. And they didn't turn it off at the end of my plan date, they had canceled it 3 days after I had already renewed and paid for my next month of service!

I contacted CC, but again, they were not helpful and they don't seem to be able to do anything. If I were you, I would suggest going with Cricket Wireless. Their $65 a month, Unlimited plan, is truly, 100% Unlimited LTE. I have used crazy amounts of data, even through tethering and I have never gotten into type of trouble. Not even a text warning. You can use any Unlocked GSM phone and since they are GSM, you just have to swipe out the SIM card and you're ready to go.

Unlike Straight Talk, which charges you a fee to activate a new phone. Not to mention that you have to buy yet another SIM card kit. Which if you buy it in-store through Wal-Mart, they want you to pay for an entire month of service as well, before you can get the new SIM card. Keep in mind, that you will be forced to buy a new SIM kit, every time you swap to a new phone. So you either have to try and buy just the SIM card through Wal-Mart's website or go through Straight Talk directly. Trust me, Straight Talk as it is operating now as of January 20th, 2017, is a joke! I would suggest going with Cricket, because they use the AT&T network. So you will basically get the same size and dependability of network, as Verizon. There is no comparison! I am a Cricket customer for LIFE!

I have always recommended Straight Talk for people who want a month-to-month plan. However, my mother bought a phone from Walmart and the Sim card went bad. EVERY phone call I made took 45 minutes to an hour. 1st call (75 minutes)--"bad sim card"--"we will mail you another." 2nd call (3/4 days later with new sim card)--tried to activate (45 minutes) "wait 2-4 hours for activation". Next day (overnight)--sim card not working--call back (35 minutes)--"we will replace your phone--give me email address and I will send you shipping label".

Next day--still no email with shipping label--call back (40 minutes)--"we mailed you a box with a shipping label--we don't have your email address--wait 3-4 days and you'll have box." I AM NOT WAITING ANOTHER 3-4 DAYS TO GET A BOX WITH A SHIPPING LABEL SO I CAN SEND IT BACK TO YOU AND GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE IN ANOTHER 5-6 DAYS. They took my email address--I should receive email in 2 hours. We'll see. Straight Talk--you have FAILED. In the meantime, a prepaid account is getting wasted.

Can't use my internet unless I'm connected to wifi. My phone bill not due for another three weeks and when I called they fixed it. Went out the next day. Called back. They hung up on me after 46 min of waiting then told me there's nothing can do. I have to buy another reactivation kit for a hundred dollars so I've paid my money for all my services and I'm only getting call and text unless I'm on wifi. I now should be reimbursed. Clearly I didn't get what I paid for. My advice looking for a new company. Look elsewhere. Straight Talk???

I bought my phone through Straight Talk less than 3 weeks ago. I paid for $45 dollar plan, but since day one of my service I have not been able to use the internet without wifi. I called customer service and was told there is nothing they can do. I used all of my data, even though it's been acting this way since the moment I started service. I will take my business elsewhere.

Both of my children have Straight Talk. We just switched them from Virgin Mobile as our service with Virgin Mobile is absolutely horrible. My oldest started with Straight Talk first and has had great service and no complaints. So, we just switched our youngest who is 18 to this mobile carrier. The actual service for the phone is good but the customer service is absolutely horrific. The same goes for Virgin Mobile and I am guessing most companies are this way and most of their staff do not speak great English so there lies a huge part of the problem.

Yesterday, I attempted to have my son's phone activated using his old number. The woman "helping" me told me to turn off the phone, turn it back on and attempt to call from it. I did that and it still didn't work and then she proceeded to tell me that she never told me to do this. I corrected her multiple times, she said I am not listening, I said "you aren't explaining properly" and then she refused to speak anymore. Hmmm. Ok. That helps. I didn't even curse at her which I usually do so that pissed me off even more since I had really restrained myself. I had to call from cell phone and get a supervisor on the line while this mentally ill woman refused to speak on the other end. It's this type of stuff that makes me crazy. And there is nothing you can do but go review how ridiculous it all is.

I purchased a $100 Straight Talk smart phone and the best plan they had available. The mobile data would not work. Called the tech service. I was on the phone with them for over 2 and a half hours. Everyone I spoke to could barely speak english. The tech support's only knowledge how to fix the problem was to repeatedly turn the phone on and off and check if it mysteriously started working. After repeating myself 5 times over every single detail, I asked to speak to a manager. Though she seemed to understand that what she wanted me to find on my phone did not exist on this phone, she had me read every screen 10 times. Each time asking me to speak slower... until...I... was... talking... like... this. Then turn it off/on... check again if it all of a sudden appeared... another 10 times reading the same thing.

I might not be totally tech savvy but the error message reading UNABLE TO LOAD, INTERNET DISCONNECTED seems basic enough to not have to be repeated over and over. Finally, a Hard Factory Reset rendered my phone completely broken. When told they would have to send me another phone and I would have to repeat the process I asked for my money back since I would not be continuing with their service. But since I purchased the phone and the plan card through a store and not on their website with a CC, a refund is against policy leaving me without a working phone and out over $100. SO BUYERS BEWARE, purchase anything, including your monthly plan through them directly or you will not be able to get money back if something goes wrong, and when it does go wrong, be prepared to feel like you are speaking to a brick wall when you talk to them.

Once again I am getting a text from my daughter informing me that she has no data. If it doesn't magically turn back on, it will mean another wasted afternoon on the phone with tech support. She always gets put on hold while they try to get a hold of the 'data' tech, who always seems very busy. Hmmm... They put a 'note' in her account & by the next morning, poof! it's working again. I believe we are paying for 'unlimited data'. Is this how the company is getting around that? Just shut some down for day? As soon as this card is up we will be trying something else.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.
  • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.
  • Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.
  • Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.
  • Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
  • Best for Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Compare Prepaid Phones