3.06/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Update on 11/7/2019: Today 7 November 2019, changed phone service from sprint back to Straight Talk. On the landline for 1½ hours with Ivy. She had the patience of...she just had the patience to put up with me. We did have a good time. I tried to change service by myself and that did not work. So I called customer service and was put through to Ivy. For the next 1½ hours she worked with me to get the service changed to Straight Talk. She worked with the Sprint SIM card and got me all set up and I kept my same phone. I believe using with SIM card did have to reboot the phone and start all over. Understand, because I don't live on the phone. I can reload all my data and phone numbers and I'm okay with that and I'm still using the Sprint SIM card, so I'm returning the "Keep your own phone, SIM activation kit" to Walmart...never had to open. Paid up online, good to go.

Sometimes customer service is really amazing. So if you are going to change service to Straight Talk and talk to a live person, in customer service, be very patient, understanding and nice and ask to have them say something over, they will and be nice about it. Please understand I know to be patient and understand getting something done can take time, but the end result is what counts and I'M BACK TO STRAIGHT TALK. So have a nice day.

Original Review: I have been reading reviews of Sprint and Cricket and Straight Talk. I agree with everybody about your services, good or bad. But I will say had Straight Talk from March 2015 and for me the service was great. Just saying. Service, phone no problem. Never had a drop call. Signal was always strong. Phone worked in my basement. Changed phones 2 times, fast and easy and kept my number. Okay called one time and that was when I was making my first phone change. I don't what to say, but the customer service was cooperative, friendly and fixed my screw up trying to change phone. You don't have to believe a word I'm saying, but I'm sitting at my computer and really can't bad mouth Straight Talk for anything. So if you try Straight Talk, may the force be with you.

Because my wife pays for my phone service, I don't question her judgment. Now the bad news, she switch us to, wait for it, Sprint. Sprint no signal, very poor signal, hard to understand people if the call gets through. No or low bars. Put on the wrong plan and did not figure that out until later. Wife and I agree now, Sprint is, bad for us, may be great for other people. My wife wants to try Cricket, I'm going to see if I can get her to go back to Straight Talk. Oh well, have a nice day and I hope everybody finds the best and right phone service.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I've had this service for my mother for about 5 years and the price is great! I just got my landline a little bit ago and the price is great. No complaint yet. I am worried about their cell phone service. I would not pay that price for cell phone coverage. Anyway good landline service. You're kind screw if electricity goes out though.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Straight Talk served my purpose at the time. I always used it when I traveled. Clarity was fine. There was time when it was hard to hear. The help lines were foreign which was hard to understand. When I paid I set up automatic payments so I would not forget.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I have been with Straight Talk for over four years. If I could give this company a "zero" I would. As a student, these prices are amazing for the product! But, the service is horrific. There has been times when I have been driving and the phone would say "no service", my calls would drop randomly, I would receive random text messages from months prior, my phone wouldn't allow me to make calls or receive them most of the time, the data hardly ever worked. The phone is in great quality. I have contacted straight talk over six times. I have also contacted Straight TALK corporate (spoke with someone named Yusef). There has only been one customer service rep that was kind and not rude. All others were extremely rude and very disrespectful. They were not concerned about fixing the problem and they all suggested to "turn my phone off and back on", "get a new sim card" and "call *72*. All of these did not fix my phone.

I asked all of them "what can I do moving forward" and they could not tell me anything besides "giving me six days of free service for my inconvenience"-- I am forced to switch companies and buy a whole new phone. I also work from my phone so it is highly inconvenient for me. Do not waste your time especially if you expect good customer service. I have given them four years of my time and always paid on time. I will never go back to straight talk.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I am an existing customer on and off for over 10 years! Off because I feel like I constantly have to fight with your employees because of false information.. My husband, myself, my daughter as well as my son and my mother in law have phones through Straight Talk!! We have had pending reward points for 14,612 since September. I was told on three different occasions I would get them in 30 days, 60 days and then today on the 18th just to be told by a representative that I wouldn't get them until the 21st, the 27th and two other dates and then now they say the 20th. I talked to quite a few customer service representative and most of them were very rude to me and my husband, over your poorly trained or just rude employees including two "managers" I'm to the point where I literally was so frustrated I wanted to cry. It is ridiculous.

I joined the rewards program so I would have a backup plan to have a way to buy air time in case our funds were low like they have been for two months now. My bill and I was sure I have the reward points strictly for when I can't afford air time. Those points I can't have because I was told on several occasions that I was going to get them. I never did. I am very dissatisfied and I will never ever recommend you guys. If straight talk strives to help the customers then the ceo should really evaluate its employees especially a few of the managers.

We were told so many different stories today. We were badgered by the managers, made fun of, yelled at and hung up on over something we didnt do. We were upset over promises we were told by straight talk. We were told they would help us get some of our reward points to at least get our phone reactivated so we won't lose our numbers and were told they could help and then told they couldn't. Not one person we talked to today honored our requests to speak to a higher power. Two ladies that claimed to be managers claimed they were too busy doing paperwork to talk to loyal customers that have several family members including my husband and myself that use straight talk. I was made to I was a tourist visiting the Philippines and I didn't belong. Not one person showed any compassion, one even laughed and got an attitude because we were upset.. They said we didn't have straight talk that we had Actel.

We bought the phones at Walmart. They are j7 crowns and also came with a straight talk sim. They also claimed that we activated one phone on Sep. 21 and the other on the 22nd when we have proof on our app that we activated them the same day. Then we were told they could give us 7000 points then bumped it back down to 600. My son had to sit at school all day with a migraine because he couldn't get ahold of me because of all this nonsense because I don't have air time, because I am getting 50 different dates from some rude ** employees your corporate hired!

If I was the CEO or whoever runs straight talk I would be weeding out some of these oh so nasty and rude individuals. Besides one guy named Jacob I don't know his last name. I wish I did. He should be a manager. My feelings are actually hurt at this point. Now I may lose my number because of false info. And there is nobody in that company trying to make it right. We didn't make any mistakes and we were beat down and embarrassed by these people. I wouldn't be proud of your employees. Or yourselves to hire such rude and misinformed people. Look how many dates I was given just today!!! W they are so lost they just start making up **. I was promised 14,000 points today and for the 3rd month in a row dates changed. And here 8 am almost 3 months without a phone. And not one person in that company cares or will take responsibility for this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

We have used Straight Talk for many years because it was cheaper and phones have service most anywhere we go. The prices have started going too high in my opinion now. As cheap to go to verizon or sprint... the customer service has always been pretty bad...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Been w/ Straight Talk for 15 yrs. I always purchase the $45.00 card and w tax the total comes to 50.77. I purchase the card over the phone through Straight Talk. Starting in Sept the price for a $45.00 card went up to $54.62. That’s almost 10.00 for tax. They never notified customers of the huge tax increase and when I called they told me to call the government if I didn’t like it. Is it legal to charge that much tax? I’m not sure how much the card is if you purchase the card in a Walmart store but I’m sure they don’t charge that amount of tax. Can I do anything about this. Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely D **.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I bought a Straight Talk wireless cell phone a few months ago and found that it was a waste of money. It worked the first month but it stopped working two months later. No calls would go through even though I had just added $35.00 worth of phone card minutes. I called customer service and they kept me on the phone for over two hours checking various things. Finally, I was connected to a supervisor who asked for the pin number and other information I had given when I set up the phone. I gave them the exact information that they asked for but they claimed it wasn't correct and therefore they couldn't help me. It Was Correct. They just didn't want to be bothered any further to resolve the problem. Never buy this worthless product. It is a waste of money and customer service is a joke!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have been with Straight Talk cellular for 5+ years. Using phone to go overseas in a few weeks. Need phone unlocked to be able to insert SIMS card upon arrival to Europe. Straight Talk refuses to unlock the phone. Says I have to buy a new phone that is already unlocked because they refuse to unlock mine. I asked 4 different people why I should stay with their company if I have to buy a new phone. Not a one could tell me. If this is the thanks I get after 5+ years of service and they can't even tell me why I should stay with their company I'm moving on to a new carrier. Thank you for nothing Straight Talk.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I've been a Straight Talk user for over 5 years. In the last few years I started having major technical issues. My pictures wouldn't send or receive, I couldn't make phone calls. I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with support I can barely understand who barely understand me. I just called because I was promised a credit. I specifically asked for it to be noted.

I COULDN'T send pictures, messages almost the whole month. She told me I HAD to wait until I got a new card. Fine. I did that. Now I'm being told it wasn't noted on my account. So while they see my MULTIPLE CALLS and understand the pointless hours I spent with technical support trying to fix an issue that wasn't mine because it fixed itself. They won't even issue a credit that was promised because it isn't noted on the account. Nor would the manager correct this fault and issue a credit. Looks like I'm stuck with them for another month because I was told to add more time and call back when I had my new phone card. Scam artists!!!!

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs