Miami, FL

3.5/5 (405 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2021

I bought a phone 2 weeks ago that after 3 hours trying to connect to a signal would not operate. The money was taken out of my credit card instantly at 4:00. By 7:30 I asked for a refund. I was told no problem. It's been over 2 weeks after they told me 3 to 5 days. I've been transferred from five to seven operators every time I call and it seems that I'm never going to get a refund. Whoever those people were that I was speaking to barely spoken English. Imagine working a 10-hour day and trying to talk to somebody and customer service and they keep saying that they're sorry and apologizing and inevitably you know that nothing is going to happen in the end. It's not the 3299, it's the fact that I lost 3/3 hours of my time and being lied to about getting my refund back . I guess they need the money more than I do. I'm too tired.

Original review: July 19, 2021

The worst. They worked great for a few months but as soon as you need some sort of tech support, the actual system will fail you and you will rue the day you decided on Straight Talk. Might not happen for a while, but it will. My sim card need replacing when my unlimited plan stopped streaming at way under my 25 gigs of data. Their system would not take my credit cards for some reason, to buy a new sim card they said I needed, even tho everyone else could process my cards. The bank declared my cards fine repeatedly, and even straight talk was able to use them to process my monthly refill...but their system kept saying declined. So I had to purchase a sim card from a Walmart, but they don't just sell the sims alone, or are always out of the alone sims, so you need to purchase a full month's of service with the sim, even if like me you are already signed for auto refill.

I finally bought the unneeded month of service, and am ready to move forward, after about 10 hours wasted on the phone with techs and a non-functional straight talk system. If you are considering another carrier I'd recommend it. Things may work out for a while, but when you need some sort of tech support or some special help, you will be in for a surprise. They're inexpensive for a reason.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Purchased phone and at first was very happy. Now all I get is 1G to 3G and mostly no internet service at all. I tried reaching out to Straight Talk with no avail. They can not fix the issue. I've done everything I can, even a factory reset on my phone. All straight talk can say is, "I'm sorry to hear that". I just paid 71 dollars for another month service plus 2G. I will be changing. Providers after the month is up. I wish I never paid for the month. That's the last money from me!!!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Never mind the fact that you can't understand a ** word they say on the customer service, they routinely mess up orders and say they never got payment when the bank clearly shows they did. Had them for too long and will be changing as soon as possible.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Myself, my daughter, and her father have been ST customers for over 12yr. I purchased a new phone in January 2021. Had service for 3 months. Then I got Covid. Due to long term complications from virus I am unable to go back to work. Dr is not sure when I will. So I decided to get Q-Links' service till I return to work. Called to have phone unlocked. Was told no because it hasn't been used for 12 months since purchased. I could pay $150.00 to have it unlocked. I explained how long I have been customer as well as reason for switching providers. I was told there was nothing they can do unless I pay them $150.0 early termination fee. So I asked how they thought I could do that if I'm switching to government program for service. Customer service said, "I'm not sure but when you figure it out and have $150.00 call back. That's our policy. Have a good day. Good bye," and hung up.

I am very unhappy with customer service as well as Straight Talk period. It's a shame to because for 12 yrs I had great experience and recommended them to friends and family. I will never have service with them again nor will I recommend them to anyone. I am also filling report with FCC and filling a complaint with BBB.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Trying to use warranty. Sent phone back. No one in the Philippines can locate the phone I sent back and then some say they received it and sent out a new phone. 10 different people 10 different answers. No help whatsoever. Incompetent.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have had this carrier for 2 months and been harassing messages daily and inappropriate messages. Tried getting a hold of customer service but either they're hard to understand or they are unavailable. So frustrated. Choose a different carrier if you want good service.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have been a customer since 2010. I hadn't really experienced a ton of issues until the last 6 months. I purchase the most expensive option for service every month, as I needed the unlimited data. Now my data has been shut down after 1 week. I called customer service and spent almost 4 hours on the phone with them, and the call being disconnected 5 times, just to get literally no help. Was told that I had exceeded the amount of data I could use, all in one week.

I questioned how that would even be possible considering I was in the hospital part of that week, and had been very ill and not using my phone. They refuse to look into the matter, and left me with no data for the remainder of the month. The customer service has always been horrific to deal with. There is no reason to even try to call them about anything, you can't hear them, they speak very poor English, and it's almost guaranteed they will hang up on you. I'm leaving Straight Talk, and definitely do not recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I ended up purchasing a new phone that was locked to straight talk. I figured this would be an easy problem to solve but Straight Talk made it so complicated. Every time I spoke with customer service, they either didn’t understand or just didn’t care. A lot of the time the “help” they gave me didn’t work. Ex: customer service told me to take it to Walmart to get it unlocked, and when I did, the Walmart employees said that’s impossible for them to do. When I finally got the information and help I needed (after just over two weeks of constant calls to customer service and about 12 calls in total to them) I paid the unlocking fee ($150 btw) and they said wait for an email for instructions to unlock. I waited 5 days and no email - so I checked my phone and sure enough - unlocked and they didn’t tell me. Straight talk customer service is an absolute nightmare and I pray that I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Here we go. I've only used 15gb of my 25gb high speed data plan and they have all but shut me down. Still have 10 days before I have to top up. Why are they throttling my account? **! I'm sure to get the run around.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information