1.65/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

2012 Straight Talk Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

After three months of no internet or data they put you on hold for hours and tell you lies that it is fixed and still no internet or data. They charge you for this coverage and steal the money from you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Refills are awkward at best. Customer service stinks. After 10 months and multiple calls to customer service for help the device won't turn off at the switch nor the reboot button inside the battery case. Was hung up on 3x. Was taken through the same diagnostic by 5 separate people including a manager. Was told not to remove the battery. Finally removed it anyway and it reset. They said, "Glad we could help." Ah no you didn't. It's slow and the 5 Gigs go way too fast for just checking email and a couple sites. No videos or Facebook even. It's going in the trash and I'll figure out something else.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I corrected in multiple occasions the Straight Talk supervisor who addressed as ma’am instead of sir. With a funny voice she told me: "I am sorry ma’am but you sound like a ma’am At my end that is why I get confused." A supervisor omitted my multiple rectifications? I told her more than six times I was a man to address me as sir. I have felt very humiliated, depressed and totally treated with no respect and dignity for this company. I am contemplating another company whose standards and values are more aligned with mine. This company is totally disrespectful and its call center in India is one of the worse services that I have received. It is understandable that with a US salary for one person they can pay the entire call center in India, but you rather sacrifice money for quality? I am leaving today with the most and dislike feeling. Your supervisor brought me down as she thought that her comment was funny.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I moved to a different state and to an area that my previous cell carrier didn't cover. So I decided to try Straight Talk and told the service associate what I was trying to do. The instructions on the SIM card pack instruct you to choose the SIM card that is compatible with your previous cell carrier. What they don't tell you is you are going to use that carrier's towers. I wasted hours in the first month with customer service trying to figure out why I couldn't get reception not to mention the money I spent on the prepaid card. Finally a supervisor told me that I needed to change SIM cards to use a different carrier's towers but nobody told me I needed to keep the other SIM cards that came with the activation pack.

He refused to send me a replacement. By this time I had purchased a second month's card. Money wasted again. I asked to speak with the supervisor's boss and he told me that was not possible. That it is their policy to say that the customer cannot escalate an issue higher than him. So those of you who think they want you to give up are right. They have customer service divided into different departments and nobody knows what the other department is doing. So far I have found that there is a customer service department, port department, supervisor department and manager department.

It doesn't matter how much you try to report the ridiculously bad customer service because every department says that they are sorry but let's move on to try to fix the phone. Which they didn't. And they say they can't offer refunds. I had to give up a phone number I have had for 16 years because of their ridiculous policies. You can't have a conversation because they read from scripts and repeat the same words over and over. You get what you pay for. It is better to just pay for service from a reputable cell phone company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Hello, on 9/29/18 I contacted Straight Talk Wireless to add minutes to a Iphone that I already had. I gave the rep the SIM card number and my debit card information. She then told me that the phone was activate and that I would get another call just to see how the phone was working. When I got the call back I let the lady know that the phone was still not working. She then advised me that the SIM card that I had was not for the Straight Talk and that I had to buy their SIM card. She also told me that the minutes that I bought were placed on someone else account and that once I get the SIM card in the mail to call back and they would add activate my SIM card plus put the minutes that I already bought onto my SIM card. She gave me a note number **. Also a order number for the SIM card **.

When I called into Straight Talk on 10/4/18 I let them know that I just received the SIM card and gave them the note number that was given to me on 9/29. The gentleman told me that the number I gave him didn't pull up anything. I then asked to speak with a manager. The gentlemen didn't now want to hear anything that I had to say and told me that I was lying. I then asked to speak with another manager. She was then able to pull up my info. Added the minutes but then said that it showed that my phone was active from 9/29. I advised how could my phone have been active when I just got the SIM card on 10/4.

I then gave her the tracking number from UPS (**). She then said, "Oh okay." She sees it and then said that I would have to call them back to get more minutes placed on my phone after my minutes run out. I asked her, "Why would I have to call back when you guys can just place the minutes on my phone?" And I also asked, "When the first rep took the SIM card why didn't she tell me that the SIM card didn't work instead of still taking my payments?"

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I used their cell service for a few years. It started as 45.00/flat for unlimited everything. In time though they started adding additional taxes etc to the cost. The reception was always pretty good, and I used the phone all along the east coast of the US. I did however have issues with receiving voice mail, that they were never able to help me with.

I am only giving 2 stars because their tech support is horrible!!! Once in a while I could get someone who I could actually understand (Many of the people I spoke to had very thick Indian accents). Also, not only hard to understand, but often incompetent as well. I switched my service right at the beginning of a billing cycle and they had just charged my credit card and would not refund me the money, so I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Bottom line - I would not recommend using this company. There are a lot of other comparable deals these days with the major carriers, with much better tech support.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Had full service for 8 months with auto Bill pay. They shut off service due to non payment but was mistaken since I had auto Bill pay and made the payment. After 3 different operators whose English was horrible, they admitted they made a mistake and re-instated my service. But, they took my phone number away from me during the shut off, and could not give it back. They said I should be happy since they were giving me a brand new number for free. It takes a long times to tell all your contacts about your new number while all they get is a recording of number no longer in service. They could care less about their customers. All they want is money.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Yes, customer service is horrendous. Luckily, I only tried them a couple of times over about 3 years, so the less you need them, the better your experience. Customer service appears to be worked out of India, where the quality of the analysts are quite poor, and worse yet, they have a habit of disconnecting calls when they can't resolve your issue.

The above said, the service is reasonable for an unlocked BYOP where I was able to use my iPhone 6 reliably for years. I did run into a problem with no data on vacation, but typically, my service was reliable... but s..l..o..w! Just google Straight Talk data speeds. A recent review put them woefully behind every major competitor. It is noticeable, so keep in mind if you like to stream movies or anything else that requires a substantial amount of data.

Finally, I'm leaving them for Xfinity, since Xfinity offers current customers unlimited with 20 gb high speed data at same price that Straight Talk charges for 10 gb. They use the Verizon network, so I'm hoping that the data speed is good as well. I will say, though, that I used Straight Talk online chat to remove auto billing and for the first time, the customer service was great. So, just an FYI... maybe consider using online chat vs calling customer service in India - at least that one experience seemed to work well (assuming I don't get billed next month, of course).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Customer service with this business is absolutely horrendous. I can't stress it enough. We are talking worthless. Go to another company and save yourself the stress. They can't answer a question or help you to save their damn lives.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I've had Straight Talk for over 4 years now. I enjoy my service. I get good reception and service. I get the 55 dollar plan and I use a lot of data since I live in the country and don't have access to WIFI. The only problem is I need a new phone BAD and I can't get the smart pay plan to work. It says there was a problem loading or we can't process you at this time. I believe I have good standing with Straight Talk. I'm in the auto refill plan so I’m not late paying. I just don't get what the problem is?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have had their service for about 2 yrs now. The first phone I had magically stopped working shortly after buying it due to a faulty SIM card. They shipped me a new card free of charge, but it took about a week to come. They told me they do not offer overnight shipping, which is a lie. I am now on my third phone from them. I had this current phone for about a year and everything was fine until now. I recently paid my phone bill of about $50 last week. I was informed by one of their reps that this $50 will give me 4g service, which it has, up until last week when they billed me.

Ever since they took their payment my phone has been dropped to 3g. I can’t text or use the internet. I can only talk. I spoke with a customer service rep about the issue. He didn’t know how to solve the issue or why it happened. He sent me 2 long paragraphs, that he obviously copied and pasted, which stated regardless of paying for service there is no guarantee that you will actually get it. I am now out $50 and will have to spend more money on a new phone and service provider.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have had Straight Talk for two years now, and I have NEVER had an issue! They ship phones overnight, have great service areas, and are no different than the more expensive carriers. I had Sprint and AT&T in the past. This is as good!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

My daughter called and set up everything in advance to transfer to my Straight Talk phone number and area code. I have spent over a hour on the phone going in circles. Now they tell me I have to switch to another phone number despite me giving them the ticket number from my daughter's phone conversation. All my doctors have my phone number plus everything for my M I L linked to my phone number. I am so disappointed as all my family has used Straight Talk for several years. I will encourage as many people as I can to switch to another phone carrier.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

They use just Filipinos for everything. It is unbelievable how when you start with your complaint they just go silent and never come back. Do not order anything on their site unless you are absolutely sure, I did but then the person I ordered forgot a new phone. And I mean 3 minutes later. They said, "Refuse the package is all you can do and they will refund the money. Im getting a new service hopefully that will employ employees who can help you.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

My mother passed away a month ago and it has taken me some time to figure out where she had automatic accounts. I contacted Straight Talk today to cancel her service. They had automatically charged her credit card to renew her service three days ago. They refused to reverse these charges, telling me that I was welcome to use the phone for the rest of the month and I should have read the terms and conditions. What!? I had no access to this! NO COMPASSION!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

This Co. took my phone that I paid for 2 months ago and I got no replacement. I have called them 7 times. They promise a new phone and 3 weeks go by and I call again. NO HELP. Most can't understand English and don't care. I have been put on hold for 20 mins then disconnected. Carlos Slim don't care as long as the money rolls in, to hell with service, just pay the bill. Oh yea I was charged for service that I did not get. I ask for my money I paid for the phone or a phone. What else can a customer do???

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Have rewards points that can't be cashed in and customer services is sometimes a total waste of time, if I wasn't so impoverished I would never do business with Straight Talk. The rewards points scheme they have is based on trying to get you to enroll in their auto refill service in my understanding.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Customer service is poor! I brought was having problems receiving text messages from my consumers that has iPhones. I was advised to buy another phone. I did. I had that phone maybe a month and it did it again. Again advise to buy another phone so I did so just thinking I was being rough on my phone. So when I bought this new phone no matter what I wasn't receiving any messages from iPhones at all. So I called customer service. They hung up on me 3 times talked to a supervisor and she said she would refund me for my phone she said hold while I transfer you. You know what she did hung up.

When I finally got to the refund department, after calling back 5 times, Gabriel refused to help me and hung up in my face and deactivated my service so I couldn't call back. I got on the wifi and chatted and she gave me the direct line and a code so they couldn't hang up on me. I asked to speak with the supervisor and then he hung up in my face. Imma take that money as a loss but be warned to not do business with them. They don't know what they are doing and not professional at all.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I ordered a new phone from Straight Talk and they charged my card and I paid for express shipping. The phone never shipped. I called and they decided it was ok for a refund but they kept my express shipping money. Escalation to a "supervisor" went nowhere. No credits, refunds etc. They stole my money. NOW ABOUT THE TERRIBLE SERVICE... Service in my state and surrounding states is either non-existent or poor. I regret going to Straight Talk now but Verizon also has stupid roaming service issues when you get near "the line".

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I purchased a Samsung 6 with a service plan on 12/7. I added additional airtime on the 2nd of the month. Straight Talk changed my airtime to the second of the month and I lost five days of airtime. Straight Talk refuses to add the five days back to my service and refuses to give me a refund.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Would not recommend this carrier AT ALL. Could not download my picture text. When contact the chat, they abruptly closed the chat when I did not respond as fast as they wanted me to, yet they will take forever and then send you messages that say, "Just a minute" etc. I was transferred 4 times the same night and was told I needed to take out my SIM card try it in another phone and other nonsense like, "Make sure your wi-fi, Bluetooth and airplane mode is turned off, turn off wi-fi?" Then one rep told me that I had used up all my data. Just bought the package on Monday and this is Saturday, I'm not on my phone 24/7. Will ask for a refund and move on. Don't go with STRAIGHT TALK.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I was using Straight Talk for a work phone, so I requested a receipt for the monthly activation cost that I had purchased over the phone. I was refused. I was told I could have a transaction ID number, which they said would be emailed to me. I did not receive the transaction number. It was never sent to me. But they were unable (or refused) to provide me with a receipt.

A receipt is not an unreasonable request, and I have never been given such a ridiculous runaround. I then spent an hour on hold before a supervisor refused to provide a receipt of my purchased time- or any way to verify that I had made a purchase. I was then also told that I wouldn't be able to use my transaction ID to verify that I had purchased time, and that what I was requesting was impossible. They said I would receive verification next time I purchased time. Terrible service and policies. I have never been so dissatisfied with an interaction with any phone company, and that is saying a lot.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I purchased a Straight Talk phone a year ago. There was no mention that the phone was locked. I went to T-Mobile to signup with their service. They told me the phone was probably locked. We called Straight Talk and it was locked. We requested the phone to be unlocked. They said it would take a couple of days and would send an email confirmation. I never received the email. I called. They said it was done. I went to T-Mobile, purchased the SIM card, and signed up for service. The phone wouldn't work. Called Straight Talk again, this time they said I needed to own the phone for a year before they would unlock it. I was out almost $100.00 for the month of service and SIM card I couldn't use. Now the year is up I called to have my phone unlocked.

They agreed to and said they'd send me an email when it was done. I never received the email. I called. They said it was sent out, but I never received it. I asked to them to resend it and they refused. I asked to speak to a manager, they put me on hold and no one ever picked up. I tried a few times more with the same results. I called and told them I wanted to make a formal complaint. They told me there is no email address to send the complaint to. Bottom line is this company cannot be trusted.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

This company is completely fraud. They will scam you and take your money. Here is my story. I came home from Netherlands and bought a new phone when I arrived to the US a week ago and bought a Straight Talk sim card for about $50.00 from Wal-Mart to use the phone to text and to call, etc. After I purchased the sim card, I put it in the new phone and everything was working normal. However, when I turned off the phone and turned back on, my texting message did NOT work and I could not receive any call from anyone. So I called 1-866-806-1840 to get help. I called 17 times in a week to resolve the issue. 17 times. Imagine how frustrating I was to call that number 17 times a week. To iterate aforementioned, the issue was my texting did not work and still DOES NOT WORK after I turned off the phone and turned back on.

At work, I turn off my phone during the meeting. After the meeting is over I turn back on to use the phone. My texting messages and receiving calls does NOT WORK after I turn off the phone and turn back on. I called 1-866-806-1840 to get help again and they did troubleshooting and then my texting message worked. So what is the problem? The problem is I have to KEEP calling them back after I turn off the phone and turn back on the phone to text and to receive a call. It is so frustrating I have to keep call them back. They keep do the same troubleshooting over and over every time I call them back. Today, I even talked to 3 different supervisors, a senior manager, and the corporate office for a refund and ALL of them said no they cannot refund money because I used their 'service'. They kept saying "I'm sorry for inconvenience" and never fixed the problem.

I asked them what's the problem and they couldn't tell me the root of the problem. They kept saying "maybe due to congestion of network" and "you need to check with the area you are in". I had full bars on the phone and there was no congestion of network. By the way, what does "congestion of network" mean? Clogged? My phone (texting and receiving a call) works ONLY after I call that number and talk to one of their representatives. I believe I have talked to most of their representatives today and they kept asking the same question and provided me the same answers. It is so embarrassing how all of the people I talked to does not know what the real problem is and tell customers "I am sorry for inconvenience" and never compensate for anything. No REFUND.

Oh, I even took my new phone back to Verizon to see if the phone is problem and workers from Verizon store told me that there was nothing wrong with the phone and the sim card is the problem. So, I called that number again 1-866-806-1840. The same guy I talked to answered the phone and did not resolve the problem. He just did troubleshooting on my phone as always and then my phone (texting) was working normal. However, my receiving call never worked. So I called that number right after I talked to the guy. He said "press star 73 and then turn off the phone and turn back on and then we will call you in 10-15mins to check to see if the phone is working". They NEVER CALLED me.

Matter of fact, I was not able to receive any call because when I turn off the phone and turn back on I do NOT receive any call nor send text messages nor receive text messages because of the sim card and the service they provide DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. In order to get it to work, I have to CALL them first to use text messages and I don't receive any calls from anyone. When I call them and tell them that my phone does not receive a call, they keep tell me to "press star 73 and then turn off the phone and turn back on the phone" and when I do that, then my text message does not work and I don't receive any call from anyone.

So guess what I do? I call them again, this number 1-866-806-1840 so that they do troubleshoot on my phone so I can text. But they still don't fix a receiving call problem. I am so fed up with them. I called 8 times today. I asked for a refund and they kept told me "No we cannot refund due to terms of condition and return policy". They did NOT tell me about return policy nor terms of condition. They did NOT refund me. The bottom line: NEVER use this company. They're worthless and I truly feel bad for those who work there. Really. They should be ashamed of themselves. They don't care about how you feel. They don't care about customer service. They don't care about customer's value. They just simply don't give a **. They only care about money. They will do whatever they can not to give you a refund and make your life miserable.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had two lines (phones) with Straight Talk, both using AT&T. I bought property in an area that is not covered using AT&T so I needed to switch to Verizon using my Samsung S7 which is good for both CDMA & GSM. I called Straight Talk and they said my phone wasn't good for their system on Verizon. So, I went to Verizon and no problem, they had me switched over in about 20 minutes.

So, with Straight Talk, I'm prepaid for the next 5 months. I call them to either get the credit moved over to my other line (still with Straight Talk), or send me a reimbursement check. They said they can't do that. They said they can't reimburse me, or credit my other account. In other words, they just STOLE approx $300.00 from me. So, in 4 months when my second line comes due, I will be switching away from this BAD COMPANY, and I will tell everyone with whom I have conversations with regarding cell phones to NEVER use this company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased the hotspot device, and the 7.5GB plan for $75. I've had Verizon for 7 plus years, but costs was a bit high and service slow in my area. About 15 days after the first purchase from Straight Talk my laptop stopped working. Took me a while to find out from ST that "all" my data had been used. I don't do much YouTube etc. at all. Was strange, but I purchased the plan again. 12 days later, all my data had been used. I had gone thru all the secure connections etc. It hurt, but I thought one more time. Well 6 days later, all my data was gone.

Tried to have a decent conversation with ST, all they would say was all data was used. Could not provide me with dates, times, or sites that data was used on at all. Not even a maybe. Only words they could say was All data used. I wrote Corporate office. They called, and said they verified "all data used'. 22 GB of data is less than one month. They could or would tell me nothing, but sorry, all data used. I have ST service on my cell phone as well, and never had a problem. But for my laptop computer, which is rarely used, they got about $245 for less than one month data from me, and all they could say was sorry, all data used. Could not or would not verify what days, times or sites the data was used on.

ST has committed theft from me, and I will be filing suit on them, as every other company can provide you the information on how and what data was used on. Even when corporate office called me, was someone who could barely speak English, and say, "Sorry... all data used... We don't know why. Maybe your fault." Now I know how they keep the rates a little lower. A lot of their money is made by some type of theft, and you have to get a lawyer to sue them to get any answers. I could care less that they are not American. I just want HONESTY and to get what I pay for!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I purchased an iPhone 6S Plus outright. Had this phone on Verizon first but was not enough data for my daughter so I switched her to Straight Talk and worked fine for a while. The Verizon introduced the unlimited plan so I tried to switch her back. I ported out the number from ST and it worked for about a day and then her phone became suspended because ST put a block on it.

I called CS several times and talked to many different supervisors and informed me that the phone was not locked. Went back to Verizon and they showed me where the "find my iPhone was blocked". Took phone to another place to have this fixed and they informed me that STRAIGHT TALK BLACKLISTED MY PHONE!!! I had this phone for over 2 years and it was MINE!! I would not use this company for anything they are shady and do things to keep you as a customer. I am also contacting the BBB for what they did to me. Now I have to buy my daughter a new phone because of STRAIGHT TALK!!! This is a terrible company!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was a customer of this company from Oct 2013 till April 2018 and I had to replace my cellphone 15 times over the last 2 years and they had a class action. Sue did not include me in and they charge me 55.00 for over one year and I had no working phone so I got tired of them. Went to another company. And can then TracFone. My government phone I lost and they want me to buy a new phone. A lie. It is not happening.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If you plan to use your phone for hotspot internet, I wouldn't consider using this company, their terms of service for all phone plans do not allow for hotspot internet use AT ALL. You have to pay extra for a separate device and another plan if you want hotspot/tethering service. They won't tell you this on any of their online materials, but it is in the fine print somewhere on the user agreement.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought a sim card and made a payment online. It was the wrong sim card and the customer service lady told me no big deal, just get the other one and they would set me up. I bought the new one and called them back to apply my payment. I talked to 2 different people who said they couldn't help me because they couldn't find my payment. I talked to a 3rd person who found it and was helping me when the phone disconnected. Then I get a callback and it was a different person who couldn't find the information again. I'm sooo frustrated.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs