Miami, FL

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.68/5
Based on 1,062 ratings submitted in the last year

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Called to cancel because of communication problems and rude employees. I was 20 minutes late and they charged me a full month’s fee. When I opened up the account I signed up for auto pay. They charged my account a full month ahead then told me I shouldn't have done that. But their site asked me to do that. I spent hours chatting and calling with no response or refunds. I changed to Verizon prepay. It’s cheaper and the employees are great. Don’t waste your time and money with Straight Talk, it’s not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I have been with StraightTalk for over 3 years. Today, I had mistakenly applied my rewards points to the wrong phone number. Not a big deal and one that should be easily correctable, or so I thought. After calling their "customer service" center, I was told that once a reward point is used, it can't be given back. The tech said there was nothing he could do, so, I asked to speak to a supervisor, to which he says "The next person you talk to will be a supervisor." "Ok, thank you." I spent a minute on hold, then my phone call was terminated. That's the customer service you can expect if you have any issues. They only know how to take your money. BEWARE.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have been a loyal customer for several years to this company. They have never had very good customer service but I have been left exceptionally disappointed in them recently. I discontinued my service as I was traveling overseas with the intention of restarting it upon my return. Without my permission they charged me for the 4 months I was gone and then would not return my money when I contacted them multiple times.

I will never go back to them because of this and they have lost my business for life over only 4 months of illegitimate charges due to their greed. That may not be a lot of money to some people but it is to me and for them to fight me the way they did over what is pocket change to a company of this size is disgraceful. THIS IS NOT A GOOD COMPANY AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE. There are fortunately many better options out there that are cheaper and provide the same service so I suggest you look at alternate options.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I am totally disappointed in their services. I have always bought the $90 2 line ultimate unlimited plan and have always gotten the hotspot with it considering it is supposed to be the same as the $55 ultimate unlimited plan. This month they took away the hotspot in which I have always got with this same plan and they keep telling me I have to purchase the $55 dollar plan to get the hotspot. So technically you are not buying the ultimate unlimited plan as advertised on the cards. So be aware if you are thinking you're getting a deal by buying the $90 plan with hotspot.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I ordered a phone to be delivered to my home. The company requires a signature in person. I left them a note but that wasn't good enough and I knew I wouldn't be home to sign for it when they attempted to redeliver. So I called Fedex to reroute the package to a different address. Fedex informed me that Straight Talk does not allow reroute and does not allow to hold the phone at a fedex office.

So I call straight talk. The call center is in the Philippines. I talked to 8 different people. 8!!! 8 people off and on over the course of 4 hours. Each person told me something totally different. The supervisor told me to cancel my order then transferred me (again). Once transferred I was told canceling is never an option and I am not allowed to cancel. Long story short= I have to wait for 3 delivery attempts before the package is sent back, then they refund my debit card. Of course no one can tell me how long that will take. Absolute Nightmare!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

After being a customer of Straight Talk for three years, I was told by their Customer Service Rep that, if I upgraded my phone and stayed with the provider, I would receive 7,000 Rewards Points. To their credit, I was initially credited the points. That was November 25, 2019. Then, when I went to redeem the points for service in early January 2020, I was told they would not be available until January 25 - that I had to wait 60 days.

Today I checked my Rewards Balance and saw that I still had the 7,000 points, but only 710 were available. I contacted them via chat and was told that there was an issue with my account - that someone would call me in 15 minutes to verify and discuss my account. I waited the 15 minutes. No call. I waited another two hours. Still no call. Finally, I called them - only to be put on hold and hung up on twice.

When I persisted, I finally got a hold of an account rep "Jay" who seemingly took his time to investigate my account. Jay eventually informed me that there had been a "glitch" in their system, and the points were not actually available. I have screen captures and transcripts of the chat conversations. Well, as of February 24, 2020 I will be looking for a new cellular provider. Nice to be appreciated by Straight Talk! All it would have took was a simple approval for the points that I earned, but greed won out. Oh well. There are lots of other providers out there! See-ya Straight Talk!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Well, I bought a 300 dollar cellphone from YOU, meaning Straight Talk and none of your “locations”, meaning “Wal-mart” would help me “in-person” transferring my data, settings and passwords. I looked all over the “tri-State”, (which is where I reside) for a “Straight Talk Store” because when I purchased my iPhone 5s, it was from a Straight Talk Store that was inside of Walmart. I called and talked with your Straight Talk customer service personnel and they outright told me that there’s no Straight Talk employee’s that are available to help me with my transferring needs to the new phone I had Purchased.

So, I sent the phone back and I’m expecting a refund any day now. I will be switching services that has in-person customer service and will help me IN-PERSON, when I decide to purchase a 3 or 4 hundred dollar phone. I will also be sharing this experience on Yelp and Google review. I am going to make sure that despite what your website says, there’s no “in-person employee help” when you purchase a phone from Straight Talk! You have a nice day now! I know I have had a horrible 6 months with all your threats about my phone not working as well without your VoLTE!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

This company is absolutely horrible! I have been with them on and off for a while. Well this is it! They are rude and I sat on the phone over an hour because I was scammed out of my "reward points". When they realized that I was in fact correct and they shouldn't have taken my points I spent money to earn what did they do? They immediately sent me to an automated machine that cut me off and then conveniently were closed for the rest of the evening. I will NEVER spend another red cent on this scammers phone company! STAY AWAY! Metro PCS is so much better and I NEVER should have left them to begin with!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I’ve been a Straight Talk customer a couple of times and have multiple family members that use their service currently. In my family, I’m the tech-guy that fixes all technological problems and sets phones/computers up and sits on helplines all day with straighttalk speaking to foreigners for hours trying to activate a phone.

Typically the activation process is fairly simple and smooth, but my younger brother got an iPhone 8 for Christmas and I’m the lucky fella who got to set it up. Upon attempting to activate the phone, I was informed by Straight Talk’s help desk representative that the phone couldn’t be activated (with the SIM card that CAME WITH THE PHONE). After arguing and speaking to a couple of other representatives, one informed me that the best thing to do would be to order another straight talk SIM card and instructed me which one to get. I wasn’t happy but they’re fairly cheap and I wanted to get off the phone. So I ordered it and waited a week and a half.

Once the SIM card came in, I went through the activation and transfer process again. A representative name Rafael who spoke very quietly and asked me to repeat things multiple times gave me the run-around for about 45 minutes and wouldn’t listen to a word I told him. Finally he informed me that my new SIM card “wasn’t compatible” with straight talk. I explained slowly and carefully the situation with the last representative to which he got an attitude. He continued repeating “sir it’s not compatible.” I got an attitude back and demanded he put me on the line with his direct supervisor or manager. He made some snide remark and said he’d transfer me to them, only to put me on an endless hold out of spite, he didn’t transfer me to anyone.

To sum up, in the past myself and family have had a mediocre experience with Straight Talk over the years, but if you’re thinking of using them, heed my words. Straight Talk is less expensive than most other service providers, but you’re paying for what you get. Less expensive means cheap. If you ever have an issue, you have to speak to representatives from the Philippines and they usually have little to no idea what they’re doing, or basic English for that matter, outside the realm of what they’re told to say. If you have a more “complex” issue outside of their basic itinerary, they will give you a very blunt, usually incorrect, “solution” and take it no further to assist and please you. While they piggyback off of larger carriers’ networks, they do not provide the same service and statistics that I get from Verizon. Moral to the story, spend less—get cheaper service.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

In my 40 years I have never wrote a review on anything. That is how awful this company is. I spent 3 hours dealing with customer service and literally got nowhere. I ordered a phone (leasing) and an unlimited monthly plan. All that was delivered was the phone. They took the money out of my account for both. They emailed me that both had been shipped out. But now they are trying to say they show no record of me buying the $50 unlimited plan. Like I literally was transferred upwards of 7 times. Hung up on twice. Spoke to two different managers. Nothing. 3 hours. Worst Custer service I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I will be calling my bank tomorrow and Straight Talk better be refunding me all of my money. Staying with Sprint.

Not sure about Straight Talk Wireless?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team