Miami, FL

3.0/5 (423 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Save $30 each month. Start up was hard. If using FedEx delivery, use the more experience service option, or buy at WalMart. Went to library and used WiFi until phone number transferred. It's a bit tricky if you keep your own number. Great speed and access.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Activated a home phone base over a week ago. Since the home base has been activated I cannot get incoming calls at all. 2 rings goes straight to voice mail. Spend as much as 6 hours on the phone with their customer service and techs. Numerous chats that are useless because they have you do the exact same thing over and over and over. Last call with tech support told me they would have it working in 24hrs. It's been 2 days. TERRIBLE phone service provider. AVOID at all costs! They gave me a reference number that I just gave to the tech in chat and they seem to still not know what is going on. Seems like they read off a script of common fixes that do not work. They have told me to shut off the unit and turn it back on over 100 times now, hit star 73 50 or 60 times the list goes on. The other issue is on my outgoing calls the people I call hear all kind of beeps and almost noise like a fax machine would give you.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I'm a disabled Widow who enjoys ACH or auto bill pay. My bills are set for 28th each month. STRAIGHT TALK has been skimming a day off every month or every other month since I started auto refill on 28th on May 2020. I'm now DISCONNECTED on the 20th. I wasn't paying attention to the company's skimming of a day 'til now and I can't pay for service 'til 28th. I will use the app to restart and use it every month to pay my cell phone bill so I'm NOT skimmed and disconnected, like I am now for 8 DAYS!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Have been a satisfied customer for basic service for many years. Recently came into the situation where I needed wifi and was going to purchase a hotspot modem. The salesman showed me how the modems work, but pointed out that with the $65 card I could use my existing phone as a hotspot. I purchased the plan, and was happy with it. Then it quit working. I have a full 20g available, customer service tells me I have a full 20g available, yet it will not work. I keep getting the message that my plan doesn't support wifi tethering even though that is what I purchased the plan for. Customer service is no help, they keep telling me it is something wrong with my phone. They have restricted my service, and not providing me with the 20g I paid for. 3 days with customer service, and all they care about is if I can use my phone. I can use my phone with the basic card, I paid extra and received nothing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

They have no support at all. You are forced to call them. All I want to do is reset my password. They sent me an email with a link that takes me to the homepage where there is no option to reset passwords. I finally break down and use the guest checkout. Right at the very end, it says ERROR and gives me a number to call. Again. I'm not even going to go into what I dealt with previously.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I bought a refurbished Iphone off the Straight Talk site. It did not work in my house so I sent it back the next week. After numerous calls I still do not have my money refunded after 3 months. And their customer support has been awful. They just talk over you and keep saying it's in the process and don't care if I ever get it solved. Horrible company.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information