Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1176 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

The phone is good but will not accept text mails from other phones. We can send texts out but not receive. Spent 4 hours with tech and got nowhere. They finally quit. They are not knowledgeable and very hard to understand on the phone. The phone is only 6 weeks old and said the problem was in the phone and that's it. We're stuck with it. There is no way to talk to any representative regarding this just tech support and they can't fix. We have been with Straight Talk for 10 yrs and I would not recommend them after this. We are looking for some other service now that the phone is no good to us. Very sad they don't stand behind their phones as we purchased through them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

On 12/17/21 my number was ported without my permission due to Straight Talk's lack of security. My number was used to access my virtual wallet and I lost virtual currency. If you have a virtual currency account somewhere, use a cell phone provider with protocols in place to prevent port fraud. Today is 12/31/21, and I still have not been able to recover my phone number. I have called almost every day since the 18th and I hear things like it's in process, 24 hours, 24-48 hours, it's been escalated. However, nothing happens and I'm still without my cell phone number.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!! After 10 years using Straight Talk phone company for all the members in the family (6). I found myself needing help due to a situation with my daughter vacationing in Italy. It turns out her phone has been locked in order to prevent her from using another provider. Between my wife and I, we spent a couple of hours on the phone trying to get help from ST, to no avail. When I requested her phone being unlocked, it was denied even when requesting a supervisor and explaining the situation again. They gave me two options, request being unlocked and it would take until 01/04/22, (she is coming back the 01/06/22), or pay $200 fee and they can do it RIGHT AWAY!!! This is after 10 years with them!!!! which tells me that they can do it right away.

This is when being my age gets me really piss...NO LOYALTY!!! I need help with my daughter on the other side of the world and they can not circumvent a policy unless money is given for a phone being unlocked for a few days. I don't know if I am naive, but you do not abandon a customer in need... needless to say, I am cancelling all my accounts with them and look for another provider. I will also WARN everyone in doing business with Straight Talk....to KNOW that they DO NOT GIVE A ** OF WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, UNLESS YOU PAY!!! Is there any other provider out there that is more customer service oriented!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I've used this company SEVERAL times before and didn't have any issues in the past except for customer service being horrible when you had any issues. I have a phone that I bought through them and used until I got a better unlocked non Straight Talk phone later. I used their service for over a year and am now with Att which is better. I still have the old straight talk phone and tried to get it unlocked and was told that since I didn't use that specific phone for a whole year (I still used their service for more than a year) that in order for me to unlock this OLDER phone that I PAID IN FULL FOR I would either have to pay an unlock fee or continue service with them for 9 months. This is extremely insane and I will NEVER use their service again!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

I've had the worst experience of my life dealing with Straight Talk and Walmart. It started with a trip abroad - I needed data and purchased a small $35 plan from Simple Talk at a walmart. This plan provides 5GB of data and unlimited call and text. This is good in theory, but not actually the case, as the setup process is unintuitive and incomplete, and the support is immensely incompetent and unhelpful. I purchased the SIM the day prior to taking trips around to various tourist attractions where a working plan was essential, I activated it right away. After 3 days of trying to get support to fix the SIM in the time before each attraction, there was no luck, still no calling, still no data, for the plan I was already 5 days into.

I now want a refund so I can buy a proper, working SIM from a local carrier. I talk to walmart customer support, but they refuse to refund the SIM - this makes sense, they don't have the systems in place to see how much the SIM has been used, which in my case, is 0 (Unless counting customer support calls). Walmart tells me to bring it up with Straight Talk, so I spend an hour on their customer support line getting escalated and transferred over and over again, while being told walmart has to perform the refund. Straight talk will not even take emailed documentation (receipt, card pictures, etc...) to verify that I paid, and to refund the money. Finally, after speaking at length with a customer support agent from their "corporate office", we come to the closest thing we can call a resolution. Straight talk will call me back the next day, at which point I should be at Walmart, ready to have the Straight Talk agent speak with the Walmart customer support agent.

I get to walmart the next day, as expected, they tell me they cannot refund my SIM card. The call from Straight Talk comes in properly at the scheduled time, however, I am put on hold right away. This seems at first like a generic general purpose callback - I have to wait to speak to someone for the callback. Big red flag. When the agent finally picks up the phone, they are unaware of my issue and unable to provide the service I thought I would receive this day. I highly suspect that both the person that originally scheduled the call back, as well as the person who performed the callback, were level 1 technicians who definitely don't work at the corporate office and definitely don't care about my issue as a customer.

At the end of these 5 days of back and forth with customer service, I, as a customer, am stuck with $35 USD deficit, with both Walmart and Straight Talk refusing a refund. This is my first product recommendation and I am leaving it because I highly advise anyone against buying a product from Straight Talk. It is clear straight talk does not care about their customers' well being, and I cannot give a lower recommendation if I tried.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I've had Straight Talk for about 3 years. I had them because I work construction and I'm hard on phones. I bought an expensive phone and it was defective. The most drawn out experience trying to return.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

This year have proven to be a pinnacle dropping of the ball by Straight Talk to say the least. For over twelve yrs I’ve been a loyal customer one who carries multiple lines with the company, but over the past couple yrs it has been rapidly decreasing all around with this year starting to point me in the direction of dropping them all together for a new provider. Last month I receive a text from straight talk informing me that my perfectly fine (nearly new) iPhone would no longer work on their system as it was a “bring your own phone” handset I’ve been using, not my fault but they offered me a 150$ credit to make the change. Seems generous but when you're already using a 800$ phone that works just fine you kinda cringe at the idea.

Nevertheless I make the attempt online (which was a complete mess because their website and app are also a joke) to make a purchase of a new phone with their applied credit which still set me back out of pocket 450$ for a phone equivalent to the one I'm currently using. The payment processes and I confirmation that my shipment will be be received the following day. Well hours later I receive an email stating that my order was cancelled which was odd being as I had not someone so. I attempt to find out why online with no gain so I call straight talk.

After handing me off to five different customer service and sales reps I am told that because a order was processed with the 150$ credit they could no longer offer it even though it had been canceled for whatever reason on their end which that could not provide reasoning on that. So what I’m told is that to continue using their services I must pay all out for a phone of theirs I don’t at all need being as my phone is brand new. My phone works just fine so what’s changing that it will stop? They have no exact answer. A gimmick to get you to buy from them and offering a fake credit make a person feel a tiny bit better about it until they realize it’s not truly even an offer because they cancel your original order then offer you nothing.

I tried to take in mind that the world don’t revolve around me and comply with all it takes to being a good customer, on time auto withdraws and moving along with their price hikes but now they're just beating me down proving my business means nothing to them even as I pay nearly 200$ a month on the four lines I maintain. That 150$ is not much but it’s the principle to which they are conducting business and could care less how it plays out on the customer's end. Completely disappointed with their efforts to maintain order of business and do for the customer. Would not recommend new users to their services!!!!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Activated a home phone base over a week ago. Since the home base has been activated I cannot get incoming calls at all. 2 rings goes straight to voice mail. Spend as much as 6 hours on the phone with their customer service and techs. Numerous chats that are useless because they have you do the exact same thing over and over and over. Last call with tech support told me they would have it working in 24hrs. It's been 2 days. TERRIBLE phone service provider. AVOID at all costs! They gave me a reference number that I just gave to the tech in chat and they seem to still not know what is going on. Seems like they read off a script of common fixes that do not work. They have told me to shut off the unit and turn it back on over 100 times now, hit star 73 50 or 60 times the list goes on. The other issue is on my outgoing calls the people I call hear all kind of beeps and almost noise like a fax machine would give you.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

I'm a disabled Widow who enjoys ACH or auto bill pay. My bills are set for 28th each month. STRAIGHT TALK has been skimming a day off every month or every other month since I started auto refill on 28th on May 2020. I'm now DISCONNECTED on the 20th. I wasn't paying attention to the company's skimming of a day 'til now and I can't pay for service 'til 28th. I will use the app to restart and use it every month to pay my cell phone bill so I'm NOT skimmed and disconnected, like I am now for 8 DAYS!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Have been a satisfied customer for basic service for many years. Recently came into the situation where I needed wifi and was going to purchase a hotspot modem. The salesman showed me how the modems work, but pointed out that with the $65 card I could use my existing phone as a hotspot. I purchased the plan, and was happy with it. Then it quit working. I have a full 20g available, customer service tells me I have a full 20g available, yet it will not work. I keep getting the message that my plan doesn't support wifi tethering even though that is what I purchased the plan for. Customer service is no help, they keep telling me it is something wrong with my phone. They have restricted my service, and not providing me with the 20g I paid for. 3 days with customer service, and all they care about is if I can use my phone. I can use my phone with the basic card, I paid extra and received nothing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

They have no support at all. You are forced to call them. All I want to do is reset my password. They sent me an email with a link that takes me to the homepage where there is no option to reset passwords. I finally break down and use the guest checkout. Right at the very end, it says ERROR and gives me a number to call. Again. I'm not even going to go into what I dealt with previously.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I bought a refurbished Iphone off the Straight Talk site. It did not work in my house so I sent it back the next week. After numerous calls I still do not have my money refunded after 3 months. And their customer support has been awful. They just talk over you and keep saying it's in the process and don't care if I ever get it solved. Horrible company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

I'll start by acknowledging that their prices are good. However, the moment you need customer service, whether it's setting up your phone, transferring a #, or asking for call logs, they're awful. You'll quickly discover that there is no way for you to access your own phone records through the website. You only have call logs on your phone for about a week.

Afterwards, you need to call (not use the chat service on their website, which will end several minutes later with a referral to their main phone number and needing to wait all over again), speak with a representative who tells you that they're incapable of providing online the same information that every other phone company on the planet does. Then the rep. will tell you that you need to write an official letter, with signature, and email or postal mail deliver to them, followed by 7 to 15 BUSINESS days of waiting, for them to respond to the request. In the meantime, the same website through which you can set up a new phone, transfer, purchase a plan, and use your credit card suddenly is too big of a security risk for them to use to share your call data.

What are these people hiding? Are they protecting criminals to act this way? There should be some serious government oversight of their practices in my opinion. If every other utility, including phone and internet companies, can provide this information online then it raises serious concerns about what's happening behind the scenes at Straight Talk that they're unwilling to do so.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

This is the worst cell service I've ever had. There's little to no service no matter where I go, calls constantly drop and most days I don't receive any of my calls and text messages. But somehow it's my issue. Just don't buy, you'll waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Save $30 each month. Start up was hard. If using FedEx delivery, use the more experience service option, or buy at WalMart. Went to library and used WiFi until phone number transferred. It's a bit tricky if you keep your own number. Great speed and access.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I wanted to transfer two lines with Straight Talk to a new service provider. AT&T's network coverage in my area is not as good as Verizon's so I decided to switch to Xfinity Mobile. I had one BYOP and one phone I purchased from Straight Talk. I missed the fine print when purchasing the phone that even though I paid for the device in full, Straight Talk won't unlock it (for free) until you have completed 12 months of service on the device with them. Whatever, that part is on me. I paid $150 to unlock that device early (2 days after refilling another month of service) and planned to deal with activating the new service and porting the phone number later in the week when I had free time. BUT what happened was my 16 year old's cell service was deactivated without warning. He had gone out with friends and didn't realize his phone had no service and I was only able to get in touch with him by purchasing another month of data from Straight Talk.

With regard to my BYOP which was already unlocked, I have been trying to port my number for SIX FREAKING DAYS NOW! I had to refill another month of Straight Talk for my phone as well because the end of my month of Straight Talk was the day following when I first started trying to port my number to Xfinity Mobile. After 2 days with no phone service (thank goodness for iMessage on WiFi) I finally gave up and bought another month of Straight Talk. In short, it has now cost me $230 trying to leave Straight Talk and I haven't even succeeded yet. If you decide to use them, be prepared to get new phone numbers and devices if you want to change to a new service provider without major hassle and extra expense.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The service sucks. Never a good signal. Customer service doesn't service any customers. You will continuously be transferred. Do not pay with card. They charged twice over two separate occasions and I had to file dispute with the bank. I will never use this provider again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I have had few issues with this business since I've been with them for a few years now. They act like they don't know what they're doing when mostly speaking to female managers when they answer the phone. Months ago, I called up regarding call waiting where I can't seem to get other call while on the other line and they said they fixed it and they never did. Last night and three times today I called and they messed up two of my calls assuming I have no phone line now because whatever they did on their end messed up my phone and the phone base device till finally after resetting it was okay. Then they said they will call back 15 min later to check back but it was around 1.5 hours later they checked back. Really?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I have Straight Talk and for the last 2 months, my service keeps going out and, when I do have service I still can’t send text messages. I also have no data. I have called them and they act like the issue is on my end! After looking online for answers, I see that thousands of people are having the same problem. I told them I want my money back but, they refused and I can’t get a straight answer out of them, in regard to what the problem really is! I know I have missed so many calls and have lost money because I work from home and rely on my phone, for work. This is an outrage!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I'm just gonna keep this short... DON'T deal with Straight Talk. They don't know what they're doing. They can't answer your questions. I ordered 2 phones from them. One was canceled and I've still yet to get a answer why. I've been waiting on mine to come. I can't cancel with them until I get it. I was told it would come Tuesday then Wednesday now they saying Thursday before I get it. I'm so mad!!! And the dumb people in customer service can't even give me a straight answer. Just wanna transfer me and say their department doesn't handle it. Apparently no one does!!! I will make sure everyone knows not to go with them. I truly regret this decision!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Got online chat with Straight Talk. Went through the check list they have and said they couldn't help me. My phone isn't but 6 months old. I do have insurance on it But it's still under manufacture warranty. Insurance won't take effect until after manufacturer warranty ends. Also I have been with straight talk for many years.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I've had no service for 5 days, after I paid for service already. Someone is using/abusing my card here and will be reported for the last time this morning to my bank and BBB. Do NOT USE Straight Talk or your bank card!!! I've gotten the run around for 5 days.. today is a new day and I've had enough. I'm pressing charges!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I bought my 11 year old a phone through this company and immediately it was filled with porn spam... I tried everything to stop it including texting the word stop... Nothing... I called the company they said they literally couldn't stop it... So I changed the number... I said it's illegal to solicit minors for sex... I changed the number but to no avail. Now it's his actual internet throwing out porn and growing your piece by 6 inches in 24 hours so I shut off the service.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

First walmart sells me a lemon phone. When my husband tried to set it up for me a walmart worker didn't know what he was doing and voided the scan. We had to return it and get a refund on our debit card. Got another phone that was scanned. My husband tried again to call them to get my same number transferred. We have been waiting, waiting they still can't get their act together. I will no longer buy Straight Talk phones as a result of this horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

POOR!!! I noticed a review from someone in Savannah, TN with no issues-don’t understand why I do ALL the time!! I pay for unlimited calls, texts & the internet but very lucky if I get the internet any day, very early morning between 3-10am seems to work. Trying to figure out when I have the internet, started tracking on my calendar. No Internet from about 11:00am to about 9:00pm most of the time EVERYDAY. Then my texts stopped being delivered, would receive the message “not delivered”. I have NEVER had an issue with my previous carrier in MA prior to moving to Savannah, TN. Do you know what is is like to be in Mississippi (new to area) and have no connection for google maps to get home!!!! I have read many poor reviews from all carriers around TN and have considered getting rid of cell service entirely, going back to a land line, no issues there!! I heard Straight Talk is through Verizon so what is the issue? Buy more cell tower coverage or lose customers.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I purchased the ultimate unlimited plan thinking it was unlimited up to 60 gigabytes. For $60 that made sense. Little did I know, they reserve the right to REVIEW YOUR ACCOUNT at 60GB. They cap off your data at 25Gb. It's still unlimited, but at 2G speeds. Absolute ripoff and misleading advertising. Strongly DON'T recommend this.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

The reason they are so cheap is because they "LOCK" their phones. ANd if you want to have another carrier, you must pay them 300.00 to unlock it. Something they don't tell you when they buy it. So they basically scam you. My suggestion is if you ever want to use your phone with another carrier do not purchase a Straight Talk phone. Plus their service is just terrible. Half the places I was I could never get a signal. what a waste of money to pay for a phone that you can't use anywhere else.. A big big scam IMHO. Stay clear from Straight Talk!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

After receiving a new SIM CARD last week because I couldn't send or receive calls or text and it happened again yesterday when I was on the road. 1st tier of support referring me to 2nd tier and callbacks. In the past week I spent about 3 hours getting my phone working. Do I get credit or extension for this? Straight Talk with Verizon

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

On July 29th some time after 11pm after my autorenewal went through my Samsung A50 stopped working. I was unable to make or receive calls or texts. I called using my husband's phone Straight Talk on July 30th and after 3 hours of perpetual hold and being "transferred" I was told it would fix itself by 4pm EST that afternoon. It did not fix itself by 4pm nor had the issue been rectified by the morning of July 31st. I called again on and after multiple "transfers" which for straight talk means returned to a hold queue. I was told they would escalate the problem and that it should be fixed in 24 hours.

On August 1st 24 hours later still it was still not working. I called again and spent 4 hours being lied to about being transferred to a supervisor or that a supervisor would call me back trying the same "fixes" over and over. Finally told me that there was something wrong with the system. It was talking to the current Samsung A series phones and that even though it wasn't something wrong my phone they needed to send me a new phone but that they couldn't do anything because my account had an escalation on it and that brought everything to a halt until someone did something about that. I was told to call back the next morning. Mind you I am still using my husband's phone that he also needs.

I called on August 2nd and got the same run around for most of the day. I finally gave up and started over on August 3rd. After about 3 hours I finally got someone that told me that yes I should get a new phone and that it would be shipped to me ASAP. I specifically asked if the phone would be a new phone. I was told that it would be and asked if would be there by August 6th because I was going out of town and would need my phone. He assured me that I would have the phone by August 6th. I asked for a tracking number and he said, "It will be in the email I am sending you." Imagine my surprise when I received the email that is was NOT a shipping confirmation but a label to send the other phone back.

I had to go out and purchase a phone in order to be able to go out of town. I asked for a refund for the phone I had to purchase because I no longer need them to send me a phone and they refused. They refused to credit my account for the comparable amount and still refused to send me a phone. After all aggravation, the hours I spent trying to rectify the matter and all the lies they told me 3 months service credit is just not enough.

Resolution response: Sept. 7, 2021

I wanted to say that the problem that I was having has been resolved and I'm pleased with my continuing services. I have had Straight Talk for a long period and never experienced any problems with the service. I want to thank them for resolving the issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I have the 55.00 card on my phone but the hotspot usually shows up but not this time. When I try to connect to the hotspot it's telling me that I don't have that on my service but I should have 15gig. I have talked with 5 customer service and they are unable to get it working for me so I'm still doing without and not receiving a service that I paid for. I have been using the 55.00 card for a long time and when I check it on the Straight Talk app the hotspot data always shows up but not this time and I have done everything that the agents have told me with no results. I would like to get this resolved as that is why I purchase this card. Please help me resolve this problem.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information