Miami, FL

3.0/5 (423 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

This company is always sending text messages but they never do what they say and their data runs out way too fast. When I call them and try to talk to them about this problem they try to sale me something.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This company is a joke. They have outsourced all their customer service to India. These people are not capable of providing any quality assistance. They will give you the run around and everyone is a "supervisor." No one updates or note your account. No one cares and the end goal is never a viable solution. I've spent countless hrs on the line with these people who all say they corporate supervisor and no one helped me. They will hang up on you and not call back and you right back in call queue. They are unprofessional and are doing unethical business. I wouldn't recommend anyone using their service ever!

Original review: July 19, 2021

I bought a phone 2 weeks ago that after 3 hours trying to connect to a signal would not operate. The money was taken out of my credit card instantly at 4:00. By 7:30 I asked for a refund. I was told no problem. It's been over 2 weeks after they told me 3 to 5 days. I've been transferred from five to seven operators every time I call and it seems that I'm never going to get a refund. Whoever those people were that I was speaking to barely spoken English. Imagine working a 10-hour day and trying to talk to somebody and customer service and they keep saying that they're sorry and apologizing and inevitably you know that nothing is going to happen in the end. It's not the 3299, it's the fact that I lost 3/3 hours of my time and being lied to about getting my refund back . I guess they need the money more than I do. I'm too tired.

Original review: July 19, 2021

The worst. They worked great for a few months but as soon as you need some sort of tech support, the actual system will fail you and you will rue the day you decided on Straight Talk. Might not happen for a while, but it will. My sim card need replacing when my unlimited plan stopped streaming at way under my 25 gigs of data. Their system would not take my credit cards for some reason, to buy a new sim card they said I needed, even tho everyone else could process my cards. The bank declared my cards fine repeatedly, and even straight talk was able to use them to process my monthly refill...but their system kept saying declined. So I had to purchase a sim card from a Walmart, but they don't just sell the sims alone, or are always out of the alone sims, so you need to purchase a full month's of service with the sim, even if like me you are already signed for auto refill.

I finally bought the unneeded month of service, and am ready to move forward, after about 10 hours wasted on the phone with techs and a non-functional straight talk system. If you are considering another carrier I'd recommend it. Things may work out for a while, but when you need some sort of tech support or some special help, you will be in for a surprise. They're inexpensive for a reason.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Purchased phone and at first was very happy. Now all I get is 1G to 3G and mostly no internet service at all. I tried reaching out to Straight Talk with no avail. They can not fix the issue. I've done everything I can, even a factory reset on my phone. All straight talk can say is, "I'm sorry to hear that". I just paid 71 dollars for another month service plus 2G. I will be changing. Providers after the month is up. I wish I never paid for the month. That's the last money from me!!!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Never mind the fact that you can't understand a ** word they say on the customer service, they routinely mess up orders and say they never got payment when the bank clearly shows they did. Had them for too long and will be changing as soon as possible.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Myself, my daughter, and her father have been ST customers for over 12yr. I purchased a new phone in January 2021. Had service for 3 months. Then I got Covid. Due to long term complications from virus I am unable to go back to work. Dr is not sure when I will. So I decided to get Q-Links' service till I return to work. Called to have phone unlocked. Was told no because it hasn't been used for 12 months since purchased. I could pay $150.00 to have it unlocked. I explained how long I have been customer as well as reason for switching providers. I was told there was nothing they can do unless I pay them $150.0 early termination fee. So I asked how they thought I could do that if I'm switching to government program for service. Customer service said, "I'm not sure but when you figure it out and have $150.00 call back. That's our policy. Have a good day. Good bye," and hung up.

I am very unhappy with customer service as well as Straight Talk period. It's a shame to because for 12 yrs I had great experience and recommended them to friends and family. I will never have service with them again nor will I recommend them to anyone. I am also filling report with FCC and filling a complaint with BBB.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Trying to use warranty. Sent phone back. No one in the Philippines can locate the phone I sent back and then some say they received it and sent out a new phone. 10 different people 10 different answers. No help whatsoever. Incompetent.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have had this carrier for 2 months and been harassing messages daily and inappropriate messages. Tried getting a hold of customer service but either they're hard to understand or they are unavailable. So frustrated. Choose a different carrier if you want good service.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have been a customer since 2010. I hadn't really experienced a ton of issues until the last 6 months. I purchase the most expensive option for service every month, as I needed the unlimited data. Now my data has been shut down after 1 week. I called customer service and spent almost 4 hours on the phone with them, and the call being disconnected 5 times, just to get literally no help. Was told that I had exceeded the amount of data I could use, all in one week.

I questioned how that would even be possible considering I was in the hospital part of that week, and had been very ill and not using my phone. They refuse to look into the matter, and left me with no data for the remainder of the month. The customer service has always been horrific to deal with. There is no reason to even try to call them about anything, you can't hear them, they speak very poor English, and it's almost guaranteed they will hang up on you. I'm leaving Straight Talk, and definitely do not recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I ended up purchasing a new phone that was locked to straight talk. I figured this would be an easy problem to solve but Straight Talk made it so complicated. Every time I spoke with customer service, they either didn’t understand or just didn’t care. A lot of the time the “help” they gave me didn’t work. Ex: customer service told me to take it to Walmart to get it unlocked, and when I did, the Walmart employees said that’s impossible for them to do. When I finally got the information and help I needed (after just over two weeks of constant calls to customer service and about 12 calls in total to them) I paid the unlocking fee ($150 btw) and they said wait for an email for instructions to unlock. I waited 5 days and no email - so I checked my phone and sure enough - unlocked and they didn’t tell me. Straight talk customer service is an absolute nightmare and I pray that I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Here we go. I've only used 15gb of my 25gb high speed data plan and they have all but shut me down. Still have 10 days before I have to top up. Why are they throttling my account? **! I'm sure to get the run around.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I have been using Straight Talk for many years and they have really good service in my opinion but my reason for giving only 3 stars and not 4 is I think they sell your phone numbers. I've had the same home phone number for many years and when I switched my service to Straight Talk I started receiving unsolicited calls every day all day, sometimes back to back calls starting at 8:00 a.m. And don't even bother to put your number on the do-not-call list. It gets even worse then.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Said I was in service area...no signal ever. Everyone around me had signal. Switched to this, thought it be cheaper. Nothing but a headache. KEEP THE PLAN YOU HAVE! THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Paid more for the hotspot...worthless.. said it was connected...nothing. It killed my batteries and has cost me thousands in replacements.

Original review: March 11, 2021

For the last number of months every time I renew service for the $35 phone, text and internet, internet does not activate. I typically have to go through CS to get it activated which takes 2-3 days to find someone who has a clue. This time I have tried and waited 5 days now without a service that I paid for. Continued run around with their CS telling me they've sent the signal and refreshed and what not. I know it's not on my end because I have been through this countless times with them and have never had to change my settings which they always insist I do. All I can say is find a different option for service. My first year and a half with them wasn't bad at all. The last 6-7 months, forget it. With all the aggravation I have gone through they are not worth it.

I have been hung up on and ignored countless times. Any company that thinks it's acceptable to allow customers to pay for a service then not provide that service does not deserve my business. If it happened on occasion and they restored it in a timely manner, I may be more forgiving. But this happens every single time I renew and they never have the service back up in a timely fashion. Like I said 2-3 days at the very least, this time being 5 and it's still not up. Very unreliable, no CS whatsoever and their tech support is unreliable to say the least.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless is a horrible cell phone company. I purchased a iphone from them almost a year ago for my 12 year old grandson. He had their service almost a year but it got to expensive for me to pay for it so I found a cheaper cell phone company for him. I called straight talk to get my grandson's unlock code so the new SIM card from our new cell phone company would work. Straight talk proceeded to tell me that in order for them to give me the unlock code I had to pay $90 dollars for it!! That is insane!! I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to pay for a unlock code that already belonged to my grandson anyway! I paid $130 for the phone from straight talk and was paying $43 a month for their service..and then they say I had to pay $90 dollars for the unlock code!!! Wow really?!?! I would not recommend straight talk wireless to anyone at all! Beware. They are a money hungry cell phone company and their service isn't worth nothing either.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought a cell phone. Was told be here in one to two days and never showed but when I called they said because of weekend ran late and they said FedEx was at fault. I told them I was mislead and lied to. To get the extra fee requested that fee back and even when I talk to a rude manager she still refused the fee back. Over a few dollars and the employee not trained right.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought and paid in full for a NO CONTRACT phone and bought a NO CONTRACT card to fill the phone. Told the person where I lived and that I was moving in 3 months and where I was moving to and he said, "Straight Talk pings off of other towers so it should work as well as any other service." It worked in my old home for 3 months,, but I moved 17 miles away and it doesn't work in my new home. I have to drive 14 miles before it connects. My previous tenants had Verizon and it worked. My roommate has US Cellular, it works.

Straight has tried for 3 months to make it work but each tech ends saying they can't make it work. But today, one of their techs connected me to WIFI calling and it worked for 2 phone calls then stopped. When I called back the new tech said, "Wifi was not an option, we cannot provide you service." They can't or will not, provide me service, and will not release my NO CONTRACT phone until I have paid for service for 12 uninterrupted months, even though they know it won't work. I cannot afford to pay for phone service that doesn't work and buy another phone and pay for a second phone service. What does NO CONTRACT mean? They won't let me return the phone because the phone works fine. Just not where I live NOW. They suggested since I can't afford to purchase another phone and pay for 2 phone services, I should get on the free phone program, because they are not going to unlock the phone, they don't care if it works or not.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I had no issues with Straight Talk until I bought a new phone online from TracFone. I sent the phone back 3 times as it would constantly freeze up. I asked for another model or a refund, neither of which was supplied due to their one rule that applies to all. That rule states you must use their phone for no less than a year. So they say you have no contract but really you do if you buy one of their Trac Fones. Even when they don't work properly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I purchased a phone after mine died. The website indicate that shipping was 1 - 3 days. I made the purchase Thursday so I figured the phone would arrive by Saturday. On Friday at 5:05 PM I got an email saying the phone had shipped and would arrive on Monday. That's 5 days. I'm not okay with that. Had I had accurate shipping information I would have purchased my phone through someone else. Now I'm trying to contact the company. They have phone numbers I can call if my phone worked but no email or chat options, even though they were quick to chat when I was shopping for a phone. This really bothers me.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue and now I can't get any support. The website says to contact them click below.... There's a spot, way below, that says contact, when you click on it it only has generic links to account balance, order tracking, etc, but no real help. I tried. The chat is a robot. I'm probably going to change service providers after this.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I tried to purchase a new phone on the site but the website was malfunctioning so I called the company. After jumping through a number of hoops, I finally was transferred to the sales department. A day after I place my order for a new phone, I received an email telling me the order was cancelled. I called back and after being transferred three times, I explained that from the verification email I received, they had mixed up the information that I had given them. They finally got the information correct and order the phone again. A day later, I received another email telling me that the order had been cancelled. What is going on with them? Is it poor staff training? Is it inadequate policies or procedures? The answer to the questions is to simply find another cellphone service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

After explaining to Straight Talk the Note 9 would be coming from Verizon, and getting it released, we were not pleased when after our new account would not send any attachment in an email or text. We were told it was a Note 9 issue. Funny there was never a problem on Verizon and why wouldn't you tell a possible new customer this info. Now we have a SIM card and month of service that is worthless. When we called back for the problem to be fixed we were just told it was a glitch because it was a Verizon phone. Worst. Service. Ever.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

We purchased this phone after being assured that we could unlock the phone and use it in Canada. All the people we spoke with at Walmart and Straight Talk are liars. This phone is nothing but an expensive paper weight. I will be filing a formal complaint with the FCC/FTC.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had to file 2 BBB complaints in the last three months over their complete lack of customer service. I've had their employees hang up on me, put me on hold and never return, yell at me, refuse to transfer me to someone else. One guy let me listen to his dog bark for 20 minutes while he couldn't figure out how to transfer me to the correct department. They lied to both me and the BBB in my first complaint in November. They do not back up their products, service, or any other programs.

If you have a problem you will be shunted through a series of low level employees who read a script of what they're suppose to say and do not know anything beyond that script. Getting an answer or a solution is next to impossible. If you wish to leave, you cannot take your phone with you as they will not unlock it unless that phone, not your number, the phone has been in service with them for over a year. I've had to buy 4 phones in the last 4 years with them, their phones don't last a year.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

For 5 consecutive months Straight Talk has changed my plan mid-cycle and taken away all of my data. Every time I have contacted their tech support which is no help whatsoever! They tell me that there is nothing they can do for me. The options given to me are: 1) pay for extra add on data at $10 per GB (or maybe 2GB), 2) wait until the end of my billing cycle and go without data, or 3) upgrade back to the plan I was strangely kicked off of mid-cycle and pay extra since I'd be giving up my current service and restarting a new service! Twice I have even paid extra to immediately reinstate my (supposed unlimited 60GB) data in order to do my job. Because of this happening so many times I'm going back to postpaid through another provider. Sure it costs more but there's much less nonsense to deal with.

For the record I feel that straight talk has ripped me off. For example, in the end of December I had to pay an extra $60 to get my data back by starting a new cycle early. In the process I lost 10 days of prepaid service. After 10 days of "unlimited" data they kicked me off of my plan into a lower data plan (5th month in a row) thus causing me to lose ALL of my data yet again!! Tech support offered ZERO help as usual. Again, they gave me the three above options. I consider these actions stealing from their customers! Keep in mind that I'm using nowhere near the 60GB per month. As far as I'm concerned they owe me data that was taken from me 5 times and at the end of this cycle I will never give them another cent!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

Straight Talk is great for prepaid cellular service... Just make sure you don’t have ANY problems that come up to where you have to call and speak to someone. The CS employees/agents/associates are some of the most condescending, down-right rude people I have ever had to speak with. I work for a company that activates prepaid and postpaid phones with different carriers. I dread having to call Straight Talk every time. The agents get irritated at me when I can’t hear them because of background noise or feedback... on their end.

When guiding me through whatever issue I called about, they speak to me like they think I am stupid. They literally use a tone that’s so condescending, it makes the entire conversation frustrating... Nobody likes to be made to feel stupid, especially when dealing with electronics and technical phone issues with service. The last phone call I had to make was due to the customer I had not being able to access their account. Every time we tried to enter a password, we got an error no matter what account or password we used.

I tried everything I could to help out... reinstalling the StraightTalk app, changing passwords through email links, creating a new account, and even creating an entirely new email account to create a new Straight Talk account! I finally called StraightTalk. The person I spoke to was nice in the first couple minutes, but became increasingly rude when I explained to her that I had already done everything she was instructing me to do. She ended up HANGING UP ON ME while I was trying to change the customers Straight Talk password for the 4th time!

My boss has had the same issues with StraightTalk as well. We have had to speak to manager after manager, and they’re usually worse than the associates! Working in Customer Service myself, it’s absolutely awful to have someone in the same position treat me like I am beneath them, like I’m too stupid for them to deal with. These CS representatives need better training when it comes to how to speak to people on the phone. It’s very frustrating having to call in the first place, but to have a person (whose job it is to help with issues) speak to people like they’re idiots is even MORE infuriating. Do better, Straight Talk.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information