Miami, FL

3.7/5 (1177 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

We were Straight Talk customers since 2017, and we were generally pretty happy with the service. There were a few times where we needed international calling options that were not available to us, but aside from that the day-to-day use was fine. To save money, we recently decided to change providers; however, doing so was an enormous pain. Customer support was awful, and no one seemed to know anything beyond what I could find online. Really bad experience at the end. Very disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I bought an iPhone from Straight Talk and when I received the phone it did not work. I contacted straighttalk the next day to replace the phone and they keep telling me they can not replace the phone and to contact Apple. I have spoken to over 10 reps and they all say that they can not replace the phone that I paid in full!!!! Horrible company!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

The worse customer service ever. I had to send my phone back to be repaired..that was 10 mos. ago. Still no phone. Switched to Verizon and ST charged me 2 days later for my service and refuse to refund my money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Straight Talk gave my number away to some other person! There was a minor issue on my end so they gave my number away. My family tried to call me, however, some old woman answered the phone so I called and they told me they removed it because I forgot to pay my bill. I am a forgetful person. AT&T doesn't do that so why do they have to do it.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

Over 12 years with Straight Talk. Notified they were interrupting services until I switched sims. Offered a free month for doing so. Cool. Broke phone. Bought new phone. Put new sim, in new phone. Called to transfer numbers. Rep says 2 hours max. Hour later, old broke phone disconnected from network. New phone never connects to network. Online account erased, needs set up again. Reward points gone. Dashboard says 2 inactive lines with new nicknames.

Next day, call, could take up to 24 hours. Port reps notified, ticket issues, escalated, will take 24 hours. Only explanation given for online account was it needed to be verified. Literally no other explanation. Asked to elaborate, was asked in return, is there were any other issues. Old broke phone reconnects to network. New phone still not connected. Next day. Repeat all that with every rep saying 24 hours. Now old broke phone randomly connecting and disconnecting from network every day. 5th day!! Old broke phones service plan expires on 5th day. Old broke phone useless. New phone useless. Online account, useless. Customer service...Port reps, 24 hours, anything else? Useless. Worst rep contacted yet on 5th day. EXACTLY the same speech from each rep. No longer interested in straight talk, regardless of a free month owed. They could offer me a year and I wouldn't take it at this point. My only regret is that after 12 years with this service this review won't cost them the millions they deserve it to.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

First caveat: I used them in 2014 and they worked perfectly. It was super easy. I bought a sim card, put it in, paid monthly, and it worked perfectly. However, I got it again in 2022, last month. I was visiting the USA (I work overseas) and I needed a monthly sim card. I decided to use Straight Talk again. The Walmart employee warned me that the card simply doesn't work for many people, and that Walmart will no longer offer refunds because so many are returned. I foolishly decided to try anyway because my phone is very similar to the one I had in 2014. There is a number you can text to test compatibility, but without data you obviously can't do that anyway, making it a useless feature.

It was very difficult to even set up- you had to enter repeated different codes and choose one of 3 sim cards, and use the website as well. It was a pain and took a long time. I don't understand why it wasn't simple like every other Sim card I've ever installed in my life. It simply didn't work after saying it did. No data was received. I called the customer service line. After waiting over 45 minutes, they took about 15 minutes to verify my identity, then transferred me. I waited 45 minutes and was then cut off. I called back. 45 minutes to talk, to the first person, 45 minutes to transfer. The guy asked me the exact same verification questions. Took my number and said he'd call me back.An hour later, I get a call and answer it immediately. What I get is a rapid-fire message in SPANISH that tells me something, then hangs up without repeating.

I got one more about a minute later. Not just in Spanish, in ultra-rapid Spanish too fast for me to understand- I lived in the Dominican Republic for a year so I can speak and understand Spanish, but I couldn't understand the message. That's it. It's closer to mockery than customer service. It's basically a scam. It simply doesn't work and the customer service is worse than a joke. The worst service I've ever used. Please don't patronize this service and let it go under.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Spent over 30 minutes with Straight Talk because they didn't successfully switch my plan. Instead, they double charged me. The first representative I talked to didn't understand what I was asking for. I told her 10 times that I needed to cancel one of the plans and continue auto pay with the other. However, I needed to be reimbursed for the plan that I attempted to cancel but it apparently didn't go through in the system. Rather than reimbursing the 55 dollars that was just taken out of my account today, she could only reimburse me for the 45 dollar plan that was taken out a couple days ago.

I explained to her that I didn't need the 55 dollar plan anymore as I do not use the data. She said she wasn't able to refund the 55 dollars because I was already using the plan. I told her that there was no loss on their end as the plan was starting today and I had not gone over the data. She told me there was nothing she could do about it besides refund the 45 dollars. I told her to just do it and cancel my auto pay. I'm thinking of ending my 8 year relationship with Straight Talk. That was a horrible experience and I lost money and time from it.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Customer service sucks. Called last month to change plan. Online chatted with one employee and personally talked to second employee. Both times I was told it would be changed this month. Get a reminder of auto refill and it hasn't been changed. Call today and was told it was never changed. Both times English is not the primary language of the customer service employee and it is very hard to understand them or get them to understand you. The price and quality of service of the phone is good. I recommend they get English speaking employees for their customer service jobs. Quit outsourcing to save money. It just makes your customers more pissed off and likely to go elsewhere.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I know that many small cell phone providers have a reputation for poor customer service but I have never encountered such bad customer service as I got recently with Straight Talk Wireless. I got a new phone and decided to try Mint Mobile as I have heard good things about them. In order to keep my same phone number, I needed to port my phone from ST to MM. After hours online and on the phone, I still have not been able to accomplish anything. I think ST is using the delaying tactics hoping I will get frustrated and change my mind about moving to Mint Mobile. They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with. Don't get tangled up with Straight Talk - they are totally unethical.

Original review: July 17, 2022

So with the transfer of the new SIMs card for Verizon network my phone got fried when calling to get help. It is now took 4 days and I also have to wait three more days for another new SIMs card after buying a new phone to even get service. So this now puts me seven days without a phone and $400 in debt and no one in technical support knows what they are doing because they do not communicate between each other evidently nor do any of them speak language that you can understand. And no one is in charge.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Purchased new iPhone and sim card - called them to activate. Spent 1 hr 45 minutes with one call center person who stated she couldn't complete activation and I had to call back on a different phone (not my new cell) and she would put all information in the notes. I called back from a friend's phone and the employee said there were no notes. This employee began try to upsell me to a new plan - 45 minutes into the call she "threatened" that unless I did upgrade I could lose my service and the phone wouldn't work. I hung up.

Next day my phone stopped working!! I called their customer service (on a friend's phone) and reached a woman who I practically pleaded with to please active my phone. At first she began the same dialogue regarding upgrade and but after more pleading on my part, she agreed to activate my phone with my current plan and autofill. NEVER in my life have I experience such horrible, deceitful lack of customer service. I'm researching new wireless service and would suggest avoiding Straight Talk wireless - the cheap plan is just not worth your sanity!

Original review: July 15, 2022

We called to activate my husband's phone to the line he already had. They told us we needed a new sim card. So we bought it for $40 and called back. They still could not connect his new phone out of their box, their new sim card out of their package to his existing number. They said it can take 48 to 72 hours to make it work. But the first person we talked to said that it would work immediately if we had everything brand new. And we did.

Original review: July 13, 2022

I bought my son a Straight Talk phone from Walmart with a 30 day card. He was waiting for a government issued QLink phone card. When he received the card, he tried to transfer service and was told by Straight Talk he had to wait 60 days. His Straight Talk phone was broken and now past his 60 days when he called yesterday. Since he originally tried to register the government card w/ it, QLink told him he needed an unlock code from Straight Talk. He was putting this card on a different phone. Straight Talk told him he could either pay $136 or keep the contract for 12 months. This is a no-contract service! The customer service rep, Marjorie, would not transfer us to a supervisor or manager to discuss this further. I would think this is illegal. How can they hold a customer hostage with their service and charge $136 when you can't even use their phone? The reason he has a QLink card is because he doesn't have money!

Original review: July 7, 2022

I have always bought my Straight Talk minutes from Walmart. I have never really wanted to put a credit card on this auto refill phone. I've had it for many years already. I look at my credit card statement and I see a charge for 145.38 to Straight Talk. I call and could not get anywhere with the young lady on the other line. Asked to talk to a manager after 25 minutes. No answer to when I signed up for the auto refill and why I was charged this amount, could not get the date that I supposed to have signed up and how did they get the number to my credit card, when it was issued to me 2 months prior to this incident. Two months with this new credit card and Straight Talk somehow got my number and decided to refill my phone minutes. Reason to never put a credit or debit card to anything with Straight Talk. :((((

Original review: July 2, 2022

I have been with Straight Talk Wireless for many years. The service is fine until you set up a new phone or try to change to a new service. 2 times when I got a new phone through TracFone who is also straight Talk they tried to tell me I needed to enroll with TracFone with a locked in plan. I persisted and they let me keep my plan. It took 2 hrs both times and was without service for days.

Then when I had poor service through them and switch to a better provider for my area they wouldn't release my number to the new provider and denied me access to my app for both TracFone or straight Talk and said it doesn't exist while my phone still works and I am not able to cancel my autopay. I was on the phone in conference calls and regular calls for 4 hrs trying to do this and twice they they hung up on me when I was trying to stop the auto pay. Also before hanging up insisted many times to give them my social security number but I refused. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 28, 2022

They first started with interrupting my service by telling me that I need a new phone, first, that's illegal and no other company has done that. Second, they declined the service refill starting in May. I should have switched carriers then, but it was my business phone so I decided to get a new phone and try it. The nightmare began. For whatever reason, they sent me a flip phone, compatible with Verizon, and the sim card in the phone was not working right when I got the phone. So I couldn't even activate my service, because they sent a Verizon phone with T-Mobile card and they lock the sim with the IMEI on that phone so I couldn't even activate the sim card just by itself and use it with my own phone.

They started calculate my service date that day even though the service was not activated. So they told me to get another sim card. Did it, still can't get the sim activated because they AGAIN locked the sim to that wrong Verizon phone. WHY they don't understand what is going on?? So, I asked my tech friend, we ordered another sim card, this time, told them I need to keep my own phone and then just activate the service on the sim card. Ok, on the phone, the girl was very helpful, she transferred the service, successfully. Yay! Right? too early!

The next day, phone stopped working. Says deactivated. Chatted with the guy online, couldn't give me a reason, then told me "the number was not properly transferred so it is deactivated". WTH? Is that my problem? So, after 1 hour waiting and chatting, he said "get a new sim card then we can activate your service". What a joke. You should never link the sim card with the IMEI to begin with, now it has been 12 days, still no service for my business phone. God knows how many calls I missed and how much money I lost. I will NEVER use this company, despite being a customer for more than 8 years. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: June 25, 2022

The service itself sucks really bad.. but the customer service reps are rude and can't speak English. Tired of having straight talk service. They take my rewards points off my acct and then tell me to call back in couple of days. They are crooks and pretty much don't care how bad they are. They just steal your info and debit card info and care nothing about you as a customer. None of the reps are nice. They don't even work in the USA. They from overseas. If I could go back 1 year ago. I would not even bought 4 Straight Talk phones and started my cell service with them. Hate straight talk and will be switching my service elsewhere asap.

Original review: June 21, 2022

A bit of background... I first bought my daughter a phone from Straight Talk back in 2015. Then I finally jumped ship from Verizon to Straight Talk for myself in 2018. And finally, I recently bought my father a Straight Talk phone. Also, my husband bought a Straight Talk phone back in 2016 (his own separate account). So we've obviously bought several Straight Talk phones (over the years we've replaced/upgraded to newer phones). Recently I had issues helping my father transfer his Verizon phone number to S.T. (keep your phone number) and the customer service is absolutely ATROCIOUS.

1) The wait time is ridiculous no matter the time of day.

2) Customer service reps repeatedly place you on hold (for upwards of 20 - 30 minutes each time) after mumbling something about 'checking your account'. Sometimes the rep will check back in after 10 min to tell you they are 'waiting for the system to load' & then immediately place you back on hold several times. Important to note: there is no hold music so you have no idea if they are on the line still, if it has been disconnected, etc (and you WILL end up disconnected with no call back).

3) Reps are VERY hard to understand and you repeatedly have to ask them to clarify.

My recent experience transferring my father's phone number took a total of 3 DAYS and 9 CALLS with customer service. I talked to the same rep 3X on day one (who gave me 3 different names each time). She repeatedly put me on hold with zero help or input. When I finally got through to Tech Support on the 3rd day, the rep actually figured out the issue (needed Verizon to release number... Wish I knew that on day 1!!).

Also, we just had to update payment information for my daughter's phone (using her credit card) which we did on the website. By the way, the website is insanely slow and buggy. After updating that, it removed my phone number as an active line. It showed my payment info & transactions, not stated there were '0 Lines'. No way to manage lines, add a line, etc. Couldn't even see my phone information anywhere on the account?? But they sure had my payment info...

After again waiting on hold for 30 minutes, the rep repeatedly put me on hold to 'wait for the account information to load'. She also said she was 'checking with a supervisor for an error'. After 45 minutes, she said I just needed to log onto my account, go to my lines and my "phone number will be there, no worries". Umm no. That's exactly what my original problem was, it's not showing up! I attempted to relay this & she interrupted me to repeat herself several times, after which she disconnected the call.

I realize this is a long description, but I wanted to include the details of different issues and experiences with customer service for any future customers. Honestly, I'd avoid Straight Talk altogether. It has been the most frustrating company I've ever interacted with. I'm unfortunately in a rural area with very limited options for cell service/coverage. Definitely do NOT recommend them at all.

Original review: June 18, 2022

My husband has been trying get help for 4 days. The whole thing ended up costing him for a new phone. He first bought a new SIM card, that didn't work. He has spent all this time on the phone with a bunch of different people answering the same questions over and over again and getting no results. Now they are hassling him about the new phone he bought this morning. We have had this carrier for a lot of years, but customer service is horrid. When you ask for a call back so you don't have to wait on the phone... they call you back, then you still have to wait on a customer service agent! I have tried to buy my cards online and their website is horrible. It would let me type in my card number, but would not let me finish the transaction... then when I tried to erase my card number, it would not let me do it. I have absolutely had it with this carrier. No loyalty. No help. Just the run around.

Original review: June 15, 2022

My Straight Talk Wireless worked fine until I got a new phone. I was having trouble switching my service. I called their awful customer service line 3 times, waiting for an hour each time. The representatives are liars. One said I had data now, however it was a lie. Then one said they would transfer me to someone who can help with errors on my account. However, I was transferred to the same customer service line, and it didn't even allow me to speak to another representative. I am frustrated with this idiotic, stupid, **, disgusting service. I've wasted so much money on this ** service, so much time, and I'm done with it. After this ordeal, I will never be a customer with straight talk again.

Original review: June 14, 2022

I have had this service for several months. The service end dates constantly changes and if you have automated service from your bank account they take it on whatever day they see fit. When you call customer service they give you the run around and tell you to check your my account with Straight Talk. If you haven’t had this issue I’m sure you will in due time.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Do not trust this provider. I have been trying to transfer my phone number from Verizon for over a month now. I continued to call them and they told me they had activated my new service plan with them, but that was apparently not true. They told me that four different times so far and I still do not have any service, despite paying for a month now. There is a reason.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I had Straight Talk for years. Finally got the kids' cell phones thru them also. First when I got phones on Christmas for them. We were put on hold and given the run around for 4 hrs!! Just to setup my kids' phones (first they were stolen phones, then sim cards were bad, they just kept transferring us. Till finally someone figured out the first person screwed all up). It was a disaster. And I told them. "This is unbelievable. I got to go through 4 hrs of you not knowing what you're doing before someone actually can get my kid's phone on." But we got through the headache. And I've paid the bills online so I don't have to deal with them!! Oh but hold on. It gets better.

So today my son's phone plan was due. I pay it but they automated system. They transferred me. Guess what, they won't activate my son's phone again because they say it's stolen/voided sim. So I ask the guy, "Who reported it stolen? Cause I bought it for him for Christmas so I'd love to know!" He says "You just called me to report it stolen". I never called them once, never reported it stolen. They have no clue what they are doing. I'm 45 minutes on hold so far, been hung up 5-6 times. It's cheap service. But it's definitely not worth it.

Original review: June 9, 2022

I’ve been a customer for 7+ yrs and decided to purchase a new phone on 5/28/2022 the money was taken out of my account a total of $781.09. As of 6/8/2022 it’s still pending fulfillment and when I call I keep getting transferred to someone else who hangs up or never answers the phone. Keep getting the runaround, so out of the money and no phone!! Don’t buy a phone, no telling when or if you’ll ever get it!!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I've used Straight Talk for about a decade and haven't had too many problems. However, sometimes things like iMessages will just stop working on the iPhone and I have no idea why. Then I have to call their customer service phone number, since they have no physical stores, and speak with people in the Philippines who barely can speak English. It'll take so long to solve a simple problem and you'll have to keep calling and calling because they'll forget or not know how to solve the simple problem because they cannot understand simple English. I may switch to the big carriers - Verizon and T-Mobile - because they have great customer service and you can go in one of their many stores if you have carrier and even phone problems. Straight talk is only a little bit cheaper but you pay the price of them outsourcing all of their customer service to the Philippines because that's the cheapest customer service workers in the world.

Original review: June 2, 2022

My service through Straight Talk was suddenly shut down and I was de-enrolled from the government program that I signed up for with them a little over a month ago. Checking my "eligibility" in the program showed that I was still eligible - they had no reason to "de-enroll" me. Finally getting through to support agents, they forwarded me to another agent to resolve the problem. 3 times the re-connected agent hung up. I spent over an hour for nothing. The last agent gave me a "direct number" in case I was disconnected again, which I was. Calling the number giving by the agent, was a direct line to a spamming outfit! They're trying to get me to "purchase minutes" to keep it alive until they sort it out, which is 30 days down the road. These people are thugs! Stay away!

Original review: May 29, 2022

I've spent over 3 hours in the last 2 days on the phone trying to close my account. Get a refund for the last month and get my phone unlocked. Not once did I speak to anyone whose first language is English. To make matters worse I thought I had done my research and read reviews and decided in March of 2021 to give Straight talk a shot. I bought a Motorola phone and a wireless plan to meet my needs. Since day one the cellular service has never streamed music consistently. I like to go to the trail and listen to music as I jog or walk. There has always been lag time between songs or up to 10 minute breaks which I found to be unacceptable but didn't have another carrier that I really wanted to go to or spend the time doing so.

For the last couple of months the phone barely worked outside of my Wi-Fi signal. Phone calls would be interrupted with lots of breaking and error messages notifying me the network was unstable. I have to in the call and call them back when I got home. Concerning the unlocking of my phone, be aware that you have to have one specific phone in service with them for at least 12 months before they'll unlock the phone for free. They have no regard for how long you've had a plan or how long you've been paying for service. In summary I would warn anyone from using straight talk. You'll never get any issues resolved easily and you'll have to talk to people you can barely understand.

Original review: May 26, 2022

My daughter and myself, bought a Straight Talk phone from Walmart. The rep at Walmart told us he had set up the phone with the 35.00 plan, and all we had to do was call the 1877-430-2355 numbers. He gave us a pin and the email he used to set up the phone. We got home and tried to use the information. Nothing worked, we have tried, and read the manual over and over, then finally, gave up and decided to call the number many times after using the website to activate. During the attempt to activate, they asked for a 25 digits number, we had none, bcuz the rep didn't gave us the actual card with the 35.00 plan.

But of frustration and tiredness, I who is not a ST Customer, decided to use my phone who is a different provider, called to see if I can activate the phone, for my daughter, I was not getting anywhere with the automation AI, to retrieve the 35.00 plan we paid for, and the phone was needed. The sim number is unknown, we don't know what is the phone number, no cellular network available, so, I decided to forget about the 35.00 plan we already paid for and to purchase a new 35.00 plan again, and that is where things changed! During the activation, the machine asked, to choose a plan, and I chose, the #4 the 35.00 plan, suddenly, I saw a number popped up after being asked, which number I want activated? I thought, finally, it was the number we couldn't see for the new phone. I typed it in, then, my card was charged, and saved. So, I was happy it was over, the new phone was now activated and I decided to call it...

While the call was in progress, I was told, you changed your number? I said, no! Look! This is yr number. I went to see what is the new phone number in settings on the phone, lo and behold, is was totally different from what I am seeing as my new number. ,I was confused and in shock I called ST, 3 times to explain and for them to retrieve my original number that I have no desire to change! They pretended to help and find the solution, and informed me about they are going to transfer my call to a department who can solve the issue. Only to be told by the automation AI, to chose from the option to wait if I decided to do so, after chosing # 3 option, the call always ended on that selection!!!.

Now, I remain with a new number that I wish not to have, and desire my original number, with all kinds of appointments and family, friends, and others relationships are connected to are gone, and my phone remain silent, that is not typical, of my old number, as I am left to deal with this new dead number I never wanted. So, I decided, to take this matter further, for the emotional, mental and physical trauma I am experiencing as we speak, and I have lost an appointment this morning due to this interesting interruptions. This review is honest and has been traumatizing. I hope no one else has to experience it.

Original review: May 26, 2022

FIRST - I have been dealing with this company since 2009 - 2010. SECOND - I am even more dissatisfied with VERIZON WIRELESS. THIRD - Verizon acquired Straight Talk apparently. FOURTH - They worked together to STEAL $163.30 right from me!! "FREE phone upgrade" Due to the February 22, 2022 VoLTE integration, and the threat that my phone wouldn't work with my (AT&T network Straight talk) SIM card any longer and I would lose my service text messages (with link)!! It ended up with a charge to my Debit Card of $163.30, me losing my phone number of 5 years with a forced port to "New SIM card", and HOURS AND HOURS of customer service calls, FCC complaints, BB complaints, State of MN Attorney General Office complaints.... and still no refund of at the very least my $163.30 unauthorized charge to my debit card!! I will NEVER AGAIN deal with this company! EVER.

Original review: May 14, 2022

They are holding my iPhone hostage and won't unlock it because I haven't had 12 months of service on that iPhone. Never mind that I have had service with them for 2 years on a different iPhone. This is totally wrong and I will take this as far as I can.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information