Miami, FL

3.5/5 (404 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: March 11, 2021

For the last number of months every time I renew service for the $35 phone, text and internet, internet does not activate. I typically have to go through CS to get it activated which takes 2-3 days to find someone who has a clue. This time I have tried and waited 5 days now without a service that I paid for. Continued run around with their CS telling me they've sent the signal and refreshed and what not. I know it's not on my end because I have been through this countless times with them and have never had to change my settings which they always insist I do. All I can say is find a different option for service. My first year and a half with them wasn't bad at all. The last 6-7 months, forget it. With all the aggravation I have gone through they are not worth it.

I have been hung up on and ignored countless times. Any company that thinks it's acceptable to allow customers to pay for a service then not provide that service does not deserve my business. If it happened on occasion and they restored it in a timely manner, I may be more forgiving. But this happens every single time I renew and they never have the service back up in a timely fashion. Like I said 2-3 days at the very least, this time being 5 and it's still not up. Very unreliable, no CS whatsoever and their tech support is unreliable to say the least.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless is a horrible cell phone company. I purchased a iphone from them almost a year ago for my 12 year old grandson. He had their service almost a year but it got to expensive for me to pay for it so I found a cheaper cell phone company for him. I called straight talk to get my grandson's unlock code so the new SIM card from our new cell phone company would work. Straight talk proceeded to tell me that in order for them to give me the unlock code I had to pay $90 dollars for it!! That is insane!! I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to pay for a unlock code that already belonged to my grandson anyway! I paid $130 for the phone from straight talk and was paying $43 a month for their service..and then they say I had to pay $90 dollars for the unlock code!!! Wow really?!?! I would not recommend straight talk wireless to anyone at all! Beware. They are a money hungry cell phone company and their service isn't worth nothing either.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought a cell phone. Was told be here in one to two days and never showed but when I called they said because of weekend ran late and they said FedEx was at fault. I told them I was mislead and lied to. To get the extra fee requested that fee back and even when I talk to a rude manager she still refused the fee back. Over a few dollars and the employee not trained right.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Bought and paid in full for a NO CONTRACT phone and bought a NO CONTRACT card to fill the phone. Told the person where I lived and that I was moving in 3 months and where I was moving to and he said, "Straight Talk pings off of other towers so it should work as well as any other service." It worked in my old home for 3 months,, but I moved 17 miles away and it doesn't work in my new home. I have to drive 14 miles before it connects. My previous tenants had Verizon and it worked. My roommate has US Cellular, it works.

Straight has tried for 3 months to make it work but each tech ends saying they can't make it work. But today, one of their techs connected me to WIFI calling and it worked for 2 phone calls then stopped. When I called back the new tech said, "Wifi was not an option, we cannot provide you service." They can't or will not, provide me service, and will not release my NO CONTRACT phone until I have paid for service for 12 uninterrupted months, even though they know it won't work. I cannot afford to pay for phone service that doesn't work and buy another phone and pay for a second phone service. What does NO CONTRACT mean? They won't let me return the phone because the phone works fine. Just not where I live NOW. They suggested since I can't afford to purchase another phone and pay for 2 phone services, I should get on the free phone program, because they are not going to unlock the phone, they don't care if it works or not.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I had no issues with Straight Talk until I bought a new phone online from TracFone. I sent the phone back 3 times as it would constantly freeze up. I asked for another model or a refund, neither of which was supplied due to their one rule that applies to all. That rule states you must use their phone for no less than a year. So they say you have no contract but really you do if you buy one of their Trac Fones. Even when they don't work properly.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I purchased a phone after mine died. The website indicate that shipping was 1 - 3 days. I made the purchase Thursday so I figured the phone would arrive by Saturday. On Friday at 5:05 PM I got an email saying the phone had shipped and would arrive on Monday. That's 5 days. I'm not okay with that. Had I had accurate shipping information I would have purchased my phone through someone else. Now I'm trying to contact the company. They have phone numbers I can call if my phone worked but no email or chat options, even though they were quick to chat when I was shopping for a phone. This really bothers me.

This is the first time I've ever had an issue and now I can't get any support. The website says to contact them click below.... There's a spot, way below, that says contact, when you click on it it only has generic links to account balance, order tracking, etc, but no real help. I tried. The chat is a robot. I'm probably going to change service providers after this.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I tried to purchase a new phone on the site but the website was malfunctioning so I called the company. After jumping through a number of hoops, I finally was transferred to the sales department. A day after I place my order for a new phone, I received an email telling me the order was cancelled. I called back and after being transferred three times, I explained that from the verification email I received, they had mixed up the information that I had given them. They finally got the information correct and order the phone again. A day later, I received another email telling me that the order had been cancelled. What is going on with them? Is it poor staff training? Is it inadequate policies or procedures? The answer to the questions is to simply find another cellphone service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

After explaining to Straight Talk the Note 9 would be coming from Verizon, and getting it released, we were not pleased when after our new account would not send any attachment in an email or text. We were told it was a Note 9 issue. Funny there was never a problem on Verizon and why wouldn't you tell a possible new customer this info. Now we have a SIM card and month of service that is worthless. When we called back for the problem to be fixed we were just told it was a glitch because it was a Verizon phone. Worst. Service. Ever.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

We purchased this phone after being assured that we could unlock the phone and use it in Canada. All the people we spoke with at Walmart and Straight Talk are liars. This phone is nothing but an expensive paper weight. I will be filing a formal complaint with the FCC/FTC.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had to file 2 BBB complaints in the last three months over their complete lack of customer service. I've had their employees hang up on me, put me on hold and never return, yell at me, refuse to transfer me to someone else. One guy let me listen to his dog bark for 20 minutes while he couldn't figure out how to transfer me to the correct department. They lied to both me and the BBB in my first complaint in November. They do not back up their products, service, or any other programs.

If you have a problem you will be shunted through a series of low level employees who read a script of what they're suppose to say and do not know anything beyond that script. Getting an answer or a solution is next to impossible. If you wish to leave, you cannot take your phone with you as they will not unlock it unless that phone, not your number, the phone has been in service with them for over a year. I've had to buy 4 phones in the last 4 years with them, their phones don't last a year.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information