Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1176 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: April 17, 2022

I bought an unlocked phone that when I changed companies. Tmobile (who I highly recommend) says is locked, I have been on the phone and paid the $6 scam fee to unlock my phone. 4 days later I am still on the phone trying to unlock my "unlocked" phone. I have been told 3 times that I was sent an email and I still have not received an email with the unlock code. I am now being ask why don't I just buy more minutes from their company. Extreme Scam!!!

Original review: April 13, 2022

I transferred my number from AT&T and it was successful but my phone never work. I have been calling customer service 100x and waiting 30min to 1hr. Customer service do not know what they are doing. I think they just read the same script. One lady told me the device and sim are not compatible so I bought brand new unlocked phone and ST sim. They tried still didn't work. I have been told the phone will work after 48 hours for several times. They also asked me to change the sim card the second time, they cancelled my account twice and paid $45 two times but the phone still it's not working.

I wasted my time and money for 3 weeks has been calling customer service and without phone. I was pissed off and I requested to talk to supervisor; when they transfer me, it immediately the phone is hang up several times. I really want to keep my number but still it is not working. Finally, I decided to port out to other carrier but they aren't willing to provide the transfer pin. My ST account is still active but it is not working; very terrible experience. Now I decided new number from other carrier. I am very infuriated.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Do Not Trust this company!!!! They called my senior citizen mother and convinced her to switch to their service. For 3 weeks the phone worked. Then she could only text. Could not receive or make calls not even to 911. I called the service number after 1.5 hours on hold and 1 hour with a tech person that does not speak English I was told they would have to "accelerate" this situation they hung up. I finally reboot the phone 8 times and it started working. Less than 24 hours same thing with another 3 wasted hours with people that you can't understand and they again hung up. Finally reached a supervisor and another hour wasted. At this point I had to go to work she told ok and hung up. They are charging medicare for this service and it won't work and they won't fix it. It is insurance fraud and a felony. I only wish there was someone that would actually help me do something about it.

Original review: March 22, 2022

You get what you pay for. The service and coverage is fine, just hope you never have an issue, because you're on your own. I used Straight Talk for 8 years. All of a sudden, my phone stopped working. After spending an entire day trying to chase down answers, I finally learned that they had upgraded their network to 5G and my phone was no longer compatible. No heads up, no warning. Last straw for me. Decided to switch carriers. They have been a NIGHTMARE to work with trying to get my number ported over. Their customer service agents have NO training at all, and just read from their script no matter what you say. Can't wait to be done with them forever.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Updated on 03/21/2022: Henry was very good at what he does. He went through the steps and in no time at all I had internet service. After 5 days with everybody else it took him about 15 minutes. He was very kind. He was he was good at his job. I want to thank him. He makes the company look really good.

Original Review: I could get no data, no Internet on my phone for 5 days. I've been calling day and night and going through their hoops jumping back and forth doing the same thing over and over and then when they get tired of it they send me to the corporate office and they hang up so it's been 5 days and I've gotten nowhere. Wasted five whole days.

Original review: March 20, 2022

I purchased a new phone to replace my old phone. I was told to contact Straight Talk to activate. I put the SIM card from the old phone into the new phone and contact ST. Phone was activated and worked ok, not great service in some areas. Last week the phone went offline. No phone, no data. Called ST customer service first person was able to get phone back, then the phone went dead again. Second person said there was an issue with the IMEI and the SIM card not matching, they make the phone inactive. I could order a new SIM card or go get one at Walmart.

Next day I drive to Walmart, they don't sell Sim cards. I call ST and order the SIM card, card arrives yesterday. Phone was inactive for a week! I was on the phone for 2 hours with ST trying to get the phone activated. I had the person tell me that the phone would not work on the ST system she could sell me a new phone! I asked for the supervisor, I had to provide him with all the same info again he said it was ready but he had to send me to another department. Finally last night the phone was active again. Since the phone was inactive for a week I asked about the lost time, I was told sorry ST cannot change the end date, so I lose a week of service I paid for. I will have a new provider next month.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I had 30 day old phone, blu 3 with 16 days service left and had to drop them, cause they could not fix my phone. It kept saying cannot connect to server while making a call, simple fix you think, no I put 40 hrs on service calls trying to fix this phone, and it was the same woman I could not understand the whole time, very upsetting.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I am very unhappy. I been on hold for more than one hour and that's just wrong. If you're that busy, get some help!!! people have better things to do than sit in hold for so long. No reason for this at all. I been a customer for many years but I'm searching a new place cause Straight Talk is just too busy and now their data's not working and I can't get a hold of anyone to fix it. Sit and wait hours and can't get help anyway. I am definitely switching phone companies...

Original review: March 12, 2022

I ran out of data, and next morning, I could no longer send texts or make phone calls. So I used wifi to pay for service to begin a day early, but it did not. Went 36 hours with ZERO service. (Not slow service...NO SERVICE.) Called customer service, literally took ALL DAY LONG of getting passed around and being on hold, once for 91 minutes before I was told that what happened was not possible.

I like the coverage, although I brought my own phone which I was told was compatible, but had to choose second best option because apparently my phone is NOT compatible with the best available service. I detest this company because it has ZERO integrity and would not recommend it to anyone. I'm only using it because I dislike tech anyway. But having phone seems a necessary evil in this society. So I get cheapest I can find.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Customer service has no clue what they're doing there reading from a screen and you can tell. I wanted to switch from a $45 plan to the $35 plan and they made me cancel my account get a new number they couldn't get my phone that was just working to work so I had switching to an older phone and they still couldn't get that to work if you answer my phone calls but can't connect to internet. I kept telling them all I need is today at APN settings. they kept telling me this wasn't true that I know the problem was and what your answer me and then I get hung up on after hours of being on hold at waiting for phone calls I told him just to cancel my my plan altogether and I would just go through someone else. just to see I jumped online and found my phone settings for Straight Talk to get the APN settings on a different website and enter them in and my phone.

It Worked perfectly good job I'm still switch providers when this months up because that is pathetic hours of my life wasted plus 4 days without a phone and they are completely stumped I do not work with phones and I fixed the problem on my end pathetic I've been going through them for at least 3 years now but I'm working with incompetent people. I started with a s20 and had to downgrade to an s8 because they had no clue what they were doing. Now I have to figure what service provider and I'm sure I had to switch numbers again and I have wasted literally hours and 4 days without a phone.

Original review: March 9, 2022

The wort company I have had!!!!!. I was a loyal customer since 2009- Anytime I called customer service the experience was horrible. The agents seemed like they were reading from a script. They would repeat everything back to you before moving forward in the conversation. The final thing that pissed me off- They rolled out 5G and gave customers no warning! WHO does that? (no text, no curtesy call- nothing!) One day I picked up my phone to use it and it didn’t work. When I called in I got an automated message saying that my service will end a week ago and that I need to call in to receive a free phone.

I was so annoyed by the fact that they rolled this out this way. They said I would have to wait 1-6 days to get a free phone in the mail. I can't wait that long. I have family that live in other areas and need to be able to get in touch with me – not to mention employers etc.. I asked if they can just give me a voucher to go to Walmart and get a new phone. They said no.

I went over to Verizon and go a prepaid service which is (much better) than straight-talking. Certainly not this amount of hassle. (oh btw Verizon has no contract plans and more selection of plans with more data and better coverage.) I wanted to keep my number, so Verizon needed to request a port from straight talk.

Would you believe that Verizon made the request and straight talk sat on it for days then told Verizon it was too late, and I needed to reactivate my service under them to make my old number active so that Verizon can port it.

I have called into them 8 times dealing with this very issue and they keep me on hold for an average of 45 mins saying that they need to transfer me to someone who can help. So I got the phone like they said to activate my service and when they saw that I did that, they duck and didge me when I call in. It’s the craziest thing I have ever seen. I feel like they did this in hopes that I would give up and stay with them. WHO DOES THIS??????

I AM LEAVING THEM ANYWAY AND GETTING A NEW NUMBER. This company/service has gone to garbage in the customer service space and while you pay a really cheap price for their service, the customer service is THE WORST!!!!!! They will tell you they are on Verizon’s towers and others like T- Mobile etc but the truth is that they rent space on their towers and the major carrier’s tower priority is to their MAIN customers and not third party services and cut rate services like straight talk. In the event something goes wrong the major carriers will prioritize service to their MAIN carriers over Tracfone customers. I was with them for years and this is what they think of me. There are many options from the major carriers in the prepaid space and no contract space- Don’t give yourself headache by going with straight talk. You will certainly regret it. Just as I do.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I have been a loyal Straight Talk customer for nearly a decade. Straight talk doesn't care how long you have been with their service. If you run into a technical issue, they will simply ignore you. When I activated the esim in my phone, it did not activate properly, and I lost all cell service. After five hours talking to technical support, being hung up on multiple times, and being ghosted by support, I decided to switch carriers. Their technical support repeatedly lied to me and would frequently make statements saying that their computer froze or that they dropped the call. All I wanted was a functioning phone, but their technical support is incapable of helping you if literally anything goes wrong.

Original review: March 4, 2022

The new VoLTE sim card they made me have to get (by deactivating the one I've had for 3 years) does NOT work for mobile data. I purchased new airtime card and they sure took the money and credited me with high speed mobile data and a service end date. I have spent the last 3 days (!!!) going around in circles and dead-ends with the POOR customer service options to resolve the issue. What a bunch of crap. I am going back to AT&T.

Original review: March 3, 2022

Have not been able to make or receive calls on my phone for 2 days. Have called Straight Talk numerous times. Followed all the instructions to be told they will transfer me to someone who can assist me further with my issues issues and every time they go to transfer me they hang up and I have to call back and start all over. So I'm spending 2 to 3 hours on the phone on the phone going through all of their steps to get disconnected and have my problem still very frustrating.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Straight Talk forced me to get a new phone due to 5G. But the new phone has never worked properly (won't allow me to send or receive images via text). After days of problems and hours on the phone, I go to Verizon to transfer my number and service. But Straighttalk won't release the number because they say I need to buy a new plan. But my plan doesn't expire until tomorrow, and I've communicated with them today on the same phone. This should be investigated as consumer fraud, since they are holding number hostage until I pay more money while already under a plan. If they hold me off long enough, the plan will run out. Give me the NTP. Just release my number.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

1st issue: 1 WEEK notification that our sim cards would be incompatible and I need to update. 2nd issue: I call, spend 1 hour of my time speaking to a representative to get an updated sim card that is supposedly free, but then I have to pay $1+ for shipping. 3rd: I get the sim card, attempt to activate, and see a security info notification from Tracfone notifying that some sim card compatibility messages were fraudulent. I had to give my debit card info for something that should have been 100% free. 4th: I chat with a rep to get assurance that my sim is legitimate & my debit card info is safe. I also wanted to activate from there, but not before some kind of paper trail showing my transaction did in fact happen with Straight Talk Wireless.

I also asked why NONE of my transactions were showing up on my web browser profile. Not even refilling my service every month. It's like the chat representative didn't understand anything I was saying & completely ignored my questions. So I asked to be escalated in chat because at this point, I don't want to activate that sim without knowing it's legit. She finally tells me at the end it's legit, but I still can't call out with my sim or my Google voice number which works over wifi and she keeps suggesting a call to escalate which I keep telling her is impossible (because a now incompatible sim). Chat was on Google Chrome browser. So after getting 0 resolution from that representative, I end the chat, download a voice extension on my chrome web browser & call tech support.

5: I'm now at 1.5 hours between the initial call on 2/16 and 2/23. So I get tech support who goes through the whole process to activate the sim, only to realize that this AT&T compatible/4G/5G card is for some reason NOT COMPATIBLE and I'm going to have to wait YET ANOTHER week to have a functioning phone. Nvm people's livelihoods or safety. I tried again today, once online (error message) twice by phone (disconnected while transferring). Now at 3 hours dealing with this issue.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Warning Will Robinson Danger Danger! If you have been a long time customer of Straight Talk and you buy a new phone from Apple to update your current phone Straight Talk takes your phone hostage. I have been on their autopay system for many years and last year I purchased a phone from Apple for $800 and I connected it to my Straight Talk account myself. So after 11 months I went to switch my service to Verizon and during the process I found out that Straight Talk has my phone hostage.

If you go into Settings General About and scroll down to Carrier lock and see SIM locked they have you by the short hairs. I had to pay $75 for them to release MY phone. Then I had to wait 2 to 4 business days for my payment to clear before they would let MY phone go. But if I wanted to add a phone or two they would not wait but a couple minutes to activate them. No 2 to 4 days. Also if you miss a payment they shut you off immediately but if you make a payment they turn it back on….wait for it….immediately! I can’t wait for the civil law suit for these buttholes. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Reception: 5 Stars

Customer Service: 1 Star

I've been with ST for a long time, probably 15 years. The reception you will get depends on the towers your phone will use. For example, my old phone worked off AT&T towers, so my reception was so-so. I could make calls and texts, but sometimes my texts would take 2 minutes to leave my phone. But I upgraded to a 5G phone that runs off Verizon towers, so now my service is lightning fast. It does things as fast as my fingers can move. It's awesome! Different phones will work off different towers, so do your research and talk to others in your area to find out which companies have good coverage.

Now the bad. Customer Service. It's abysmal. It used to be really good and you could get your phone up and running in less than an hour. But my new phone switched from at&t to Verizon, it took over 20 calls over a 2 day period to get my number ported from one to the other. I could get to a certain point in the call and then I got cut off. 20 times. I'm not joking---my roommate and I counted! I finally went to bed and tried the next day. Same thing. But finally the universe smiled on me and I got connected to the right person and she had it up and running in less than two minutes. It was beyond frustrating. It was so bad I had called Mint Mobile and ordered a trial pack. So, in conclusion, as long as it is working, life is great. If you have to call customer service, God be with you.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

Bought a new cell phone from Straight Talk and started a new mobile plan. After less than two months the phone quit working and I wanted to send it back for replacement since I had the phone protection plan included. Had all kinds of trouble trying to talk with customer service, could not understand half of them and no one seemed to try to help me. Finally sent the phone off, after about a month received an email that the phone had been lost and Straight Talk would not be responsible for returning or replacing the phone since I had switched carriers after I was tired of fooling with them. So the end result is I was out around $400 left without a phone and no customer service whatsoever. Can't believe this company could still be in business but I guess lesson learned.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

One CS woman told me I'd earned enough points for a free months' service. When I called in to claim these points, a different one tells me it's only good for 1G.

I asked for a supervisor. She says it's only good for the $35 plan, which they know I've never used. Too bad their customer service is so bad and can't get things straight among themselves!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

Straight Talk Wireless has been fraudulently charging to my credit card. I called customer service and they refused to remove my credit card from the account that was not mine. The agent on the phone did not have a clear comprehension of the English language. Her supervisor was even worse. They saw that the charges were going to my credit card, and they knew that the account was not mine. Her wonderful suggestion was that I contact my bank and tell them to not authorize future charges.

I asked: "Since we are on a recorded line - and I (state my name) do not authorize StraightTalk Wireless to make any charges to my Citi Mastercard, when we hang up and next month rolls around, are you (STW) going to fraudulently charge my credit card again?" She started reading from a script. This whole company is a sham. They can take your money, but once they have it, they won't stop taking it. My suggestion is to NEVER give them a credit card number. You may never see the end of charges.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

If I could give negative starts, I would. I have been with Straight Talk about 6 to 8 months now. I was told I needed to upgrade my phone as it was no longer compatible with their system upgrade. They "kindly" offered (two representatives and one hour hold-time later) a free replacement. The replacement came quickly; however, Not ONE Straight Talk representative could manage to transfer my service from the old to the new. I was on hold 3 hours the first day, hung up on 6 times and spoke with a minimum of 6 representatives.

Subsequently I changed service providers, but now have this phone that I do not want stuck with. I called Straight Talk today and held for over an hour, and spoke with two representatives- the second being a manager. She did not tell me what to do with the phone, would not send me anything in writing saying I am not responsible for said phone, and then hung up on me. If you are considering Straight Talk and reading this I STRONGLY recommend you rethink and run in the opposite direction. They are the absolute worst company I have had the displeasure of using.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Everything was fine until I had to upgrade because of them upgrading their services. Then I qualified for a free phone they offered for the upgrade. The worst problem I ever had. The piece of junk refurbished phone they sent and sim did not work. I needed my phone for work and cannot log in to anything to do my job without it. I talked to different people 2 days straight and no one was able to help. I don't even think they cared to help. So I left the service alone altogether. I wasted extra money on a sim kit from Walmart and it still didn't work with the piece of junk phone. So I was left without a phone and no way to sign in for work. This company does not care about its customers. They just want money. Do yourself a favor and don't deal with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I wish I was able to give zero stars. Straight Talk ported my number without my authorization. I've been trying to get my number back for four days. The representatives are absolutely useless. They just give the same scripted answers regarding getting my number back. I would not recommend service with them. The old saying is true: you get what you pay for.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I attempted to transfer my cell phone number to another phone temporarily while my original phone would be repaired for a long period of time. During the transfer, it failed. The chat representative was unable to assist me and told me to call. I call, spoke to a man in India working from home with children screaming in the background. I was unable to hear him well, but he told me there was an error transferring the number. He cancelled the transfer which essentially removed my number from the system entirely. I've lost my phone number of 10 years. On top of this, they then charged me service for this number that I no longer had, and refuse to give me a refund. I've called 5 times each time having to speak to more than one rep as "another dept does refunds". I've gotten to the point where I can not do anything besides dispute the charge. This company has horrible customer service practices and I will be moving on to another service provider soon.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

They LIE, LIE, LIE, they received my broken phone back one week ago. I keep getting the run around trying to get my phone replaced. Well today I was told the phone is not in stock and they could not upgrade to a different model. I asked for them to send my old phone back, and was told they could not do that. What, I own that phone, it belongs to me. How can you not send me back what rightfully belongs to me? I may end up purchasing a new phone, but I will not let this just die As my phone did.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Filed a complaint with the BBB. Under lease contract with a very specific phone and my contract said they will replace my phone up to 2 times. Contacted Straight Talk through chat, explained I had a broken screen, am I eligible to get another phone, same model. "Oh yes, mam." I recieved an email with a scan code on it to print a label at UPS store and sent it in, expecting equivalent in return. I get a smaller phone, no expandable memory and they tell me that's what I'm getting although I paid $600 for the phone I wanted.

Called lease company. They gave me a reduction and insisted paying off the lease was a great idea. Now talking to Tracfone headquarters, the lady tells me they don't do any such returns, and the lease company handles that, well I call the lease company and they tell me they don't handle phones and there would be nothing they could do about it now because Straight Talk has sent me a completely different model.

I've been with this company for almost a decade, always had auto payments on and even bought an overpriced phone and all I got was lies, and screwed. She said just today, "You're not eligible for a different phone now." No kidding because this happened in October and I was under lease and that is the only time frame that matters as far as I don't have a phone equivalent to the phone I paid for. I am researching now any company that does decent pricing that do not deal with Tracfone, most do, so do your homework and stay the heck away from this company. They lie, they refuse to resolve issues and they shouldn't even be accredited for these reasons.

The worst service I have ever dealt with and I've dealt with a lot of companies and not one has ever consistently lied, or intentionally did something underhanded. Will be no longer a Straight Talk or with any affiliation of this company. There's a few left out there that don't use this awful company. I'll gladly pay more for a service and company that actually tries to resolve issues that was their mistake completely 100%, all I did was ask if I could get a replacement of my model phone and now I'm lied to and talked over top of. I think the phone brands need to make sure these companies aren't pissing off people with sending them inadequate replacement and make things right when they're clearly in the wrong. Goodbye Straight Talk. Lord help you if you ever need a phone replacement, because you dont know what you'll get, guarantee it won't be better then what you had.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Transferring people's mobile numbers without their consent, then making them wait 72 hours to get their phone services back. And charging them for a monthly service while the service is down for the 72 hour period that people have to wait to try and get their mobile number back. Horrible service. I will be moving my service to another company

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

So, I accidentally bought the wrong phone card for my daughter's prepaid Straight Talk wireless phone. We usually buy the $35 dollar card but the merchant had these cards behind the register and when I asked for one she gave me a $30 card instead. I did not catch this until I got home... It says in very fine print that this card will not work for smartphones... so I tried to return it so I could purchase the correct card. Apparently you cannot return phone cards and was advised if I called Straight Talk Wireless customer service that they could put a credit on my account and I could just pay the difference. Well after contacting customer service, I had to wait a half hour on hold before reaching someone just for them to tell me that they could only give me 2GB of data and since I had already paid for 30 days of service that I could not use it when I renew my plan. This is a joke.

I literally just wanted to pay the extra $5 and get the plan I always get. They said they could not do that because that was on a different platform? Makes no sense. Then it took like an additional half hour just to get that converted over. I am a very dissatisfied customer. Needless to say I am done with them. This is not the first issue I have had with them. But it will certainly be the last.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I will never order a phone through this company again. I ordered a iPhone 12 Pro Max off of their website. Their policy says "Orders are processed for Shipment within 1 to 3 business days of receipt Monday - Friday." I ordered this phone over 2 weeks ago now and the phone still hasn't shipped. Their customer support tech said that he would "escalate" my order and gave me a ticket number for my order. I checked the next day and the ticket number is "Not valid." I also verified that I had the correct number wrote down before the call ended.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information