Miami, FL

3.0/5 (423 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I've been with ST on & off for about 6 yrs. For a US customer who speaks English, explaining issues to service reps whose primary language isn't English is very frustrating. I often just hang up & call again hoping to connect with someone who comprehends what I'm saying. They recently changed the terms of my plan without any notification or warning of any kind. Cut me from 120GB data down to 25GB high speed data. I had no notice of this & when I went over the 25 GB, they cut off internet service!

My questions to first service rep were answered with standard "canned" responses & filler about assuring me she had the tools to solve issues. She solved nothing & had no understanding of why I was questioning having internet disconnected. Finally got a supervisor who explained everything in agonizingly technical detail, but could not explain why terms of my plan changed without notice or why I had received no warning that data limit was about to expire! He also said the data usage info shown on phone isn't accurate; said I have to text inquiry to one of their help numbers to get that info. (Why put data usage info on the phone if it isnt accurate?) Bottom line, they also determined my sim card might be faulty & to their credit, sent a new one at no charge. Straight Talk's biggest problem is their customer service language barrier & inability to directly pinpoint issue & solve it for the customer.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I purchased a Samsung A20 Mobile Phone and never received the shipment. It was never delivered by FedEx. I called Straight Talk but could not talk to anyone about phone sales from their website. There is no customer service for Straight Talk Phone orders, only for technical phone issues. I was bounced around from one department to another, finally was told to contact FedEx. I had to file a lost shipment claim with FedEx. When I submitted a requested review on Straight Talk Web Site I received this response. (Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!) Terrible Service!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I've been a loyal customer for 7+ yrs, I always buy the $55 card, the Ultimate Unlimited, but all of a sudden they decided to limit the internet usage, I was told to read the fine print, I did, it says, reserve the right to review your account, nothing about turning it off, I'm switching companies, BEWARE!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I have been on the phone with them for 3 hours with no satisfaction. They keep moving me to a new department to do the same tests with no satisfaction. At one point the person said I needed a new phone and was taking my info for that when the call dropped. She never called back. I called and they wanted me to restart from the beginning. I tried again online with the same results.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I bought the $65 Platinum plan with 20 gigs of hotspot 4 days ago. I get a text message saying my 10 gigs of hotspot is up. I need to purchase a $55 card. I spoke to customer service. They verified the $65 plan been verified that soon as you touch your hotspot button even if nothing is connected using hotspot it burns your gig up. How can data run out if nothing is using it. It's a good promise that I found unfulfilled. I work most all day. Watch a movie or two at night then bed. So 4 cause times 2 movies that 8 movies I've used hotspot for. That costed 20 and I'm sure it didn't but just having hotspot activated costed. No stars given unless fixed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

In 2013 my family was done with ATT so at that time I researched and for only one line and buying the brand new (at that time) iPhone 5 I would pay at the least amount but most likely more than $100 more over 2 years if I went with Verizon than if I 1st bought the phone then prepaid each month. This was not counting Verizon's extra fees (like if I was late paying a bill). I don't like to be wasteful nor over-consumptive so I went from original iPhone 3 (had used for at least 4 years at that time and it still turns on!) to the iPhone 5 which I'm STILL currently using so I can't even comprehend the amount I've actually saved beyond the original 2 years seeing how I'm on 7.75 years now.

I vaguely remember the initial set up was easy. I'm sure if I called Straight Talk I could continue to use this phone but they have been sending out notifications on how the towers/service is being updated and I need to get a new phone (even tho I made sure I got the iPhone 5 with LTE but just never had them turn it on because I live in a rural area) but I do need a new phone because I've run out of memory years ago so I am planning/researching the newest iPhone 12 and various carriers/plans/etc and came across this and decided I needed to chime in since I've used straight talk for so many years.

Living in rural northwestern Pa we only got better than spotty 1 or 2 bars of service In 1 upstairs bedroom about a year or 2 ago so I've really almost never been able to use a cell at my house except on wifi. Don't have to travel far tho to get signal and I would say I average at least several hours daily using cell service instead of wifi. There have only been 3 times I've had a problem with the service, which was the data all of a sudden wouldn't work, everything else still worked good but just wouldn't connect to internet or had no cell data.

The 1st time it happened (probably after about 2 years in) customer service gave me the run around trying to blame my phone so I had to drive 2 hours to Apple store to have them verify nothing was broke/wrong with the phone itself. In the end(after several calls over a few days) what they had to do was have me on the phone while they called Verizon to have Verizon reset my number with the towers, which I can only imagine the Verizon people giving them a terribly difficult time since yes they are terrible to try to understand because of their accents. I think what the problem was is that periodically Verizon updates their towers and my phone was turned off at my house since I didn't get service so it didn't automatically update.

Anyway the next time it happened I knew what the problem was so when I called in I "slowly" explained (making sure I didn't talk too fast so they could also understand me) that this had happened before (I had written down the dates/names/etc the 1st time it happened so idk if that helped) and how it was fixed and they still wanted me to like factory reset my phone but I just said ya I already had done that because I knew that's what I had to the 1st time even tho I hadn't and it only took 1 call this time and 1 the final time it happened so I actually had excellent experience with customer service the 2nd & 3rd times.

I think part of the problem is that when something isn't working with our phones we're already extremely frustrated but to add on this communication barrier really worsens the situation for ourselves because it's not that we just have a difficult time understanding them but they can't understand us either, so when I called the last 2 times I made sure I sounded extra friendly, not frustrated, made sure I was speaking very clearly and kinda slow so they had a much easier time understanding what I was saying. I never have experienced dropped calls or slowed data but I don't rely on it for constant internet access either so a few years back they came out with more plans around the number of Gb of data and pricing so I think I went from paying $45 to $35 now for the same thing.

From researching a little online I think there might be other prepaid companies like straight talk in my area that might be even cheaper but even tho there are several recent bad reviews for straight talk (many seem to be about trying to buy a phone thru their site which I wan't going to do anyway) I think I'm just going to stick with them seeing how over the years I can't even imagine how much money I've saved and I've hardly had any problems only had to contact them 3 times and the last 2 times were quite pleasant and helpful.

They also have a points program so every time you add a service plan you get so many points but you can also write reviews on social media/their site or watch commercials or play games for points which can be used to get a service plan or towards a new phone. I've seen no mention of their rewards program. It's too difficult for me because of this rewards program and also not knowing anyone else in my area who has some other company to inquire about the reliability, to try to calculate how much or if I'd even save by switching to another prepaid carrier.

If in the future I learn that I'd save a lot by switching then I would consider and I would switch if it would save me at least $50/year I figure every penny counts and at least in the area I live in if I can pay less for virtually the same exact thing then it's a win for me! I figure since there's no contract I can leave straight talk ANY time so if something better/cheaper comes my way then I'll choose that or if straight talks service starts to slow or drop calls then I'd switch but I would definitely recommend straight talk and think that if it's a cheaper option in your area then you should try it and see for yourself if your internet is slower or not you can always switch since there's no contract!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I was a Verizon Customer for years, but in Wal-Mart one day. Straight Talk had a person talking about how Great they were. The person told me that I would Love the whole plan, if I purchased a phone. I asked the person, if I was Unhappy with Straight Talk could I switch the new phone. Back to Verizon Service and she said yes, I tried the Service for 3 months and was very Unhappy with it. So I went back to Verizon to switch back to them, they contacted Straight Talk to switch the phone to Verizon. And Straight Talk would not release the phone to be switched, so I'm out the $200.00 I gave for the phone. Plus the $600.00 to buy the new phone from Verizon since I couldn't switch the $200.00 phone to Verizon. So if you want a Great Phone Company to use, use Verizon Phone Service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I wish I'd NEVER gotten this service!! You pay extra money so the internet won't be slow and it's a waste of money because from the word go the internet is about 2G and it doesn't get faster. Not a surprise with it being AT&T because they just lost a HUGE lawsuit over the same thing. Guess they didn't learn their lesson. Will be switching as soon as my first month is up. I advise anyone thinking about getting it, NOT TO!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Service good. Getting told a new phone to replace a defective phone is bad when all business contacts and schedule are in my phone. Twice I have spoken to them and twice I had told new phone was on the now. 20 days later they want my defective phone to be sent a new phone.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

We have Straight Talk users since at least 2015. It was before then because that’s when I have on record for signing up for rewards. We really gravitated towards the bring your own phone plan because we all love our iPhones. At first it went well, but recently, as we tried to add our last two family members to the plans, it has been horribly difficult to find SIM card that work. The service is average. Sometimes it’s very good, sometimes it horrible. But we like the unlimited plan and with 6 of us on. It’s more affordable than any other service available in our area. Both of my oldest have bought expensive nice iPhones on the straight talk website and they are happy with their plans so far. They did NOT use the SIM card sent with their new phone. They used their old SIM cards and it works fine for them.

The new cards we have purchased and the new iPhones we haven’t bought from straight talk do not work with straight talk Sims even when the website says they will. We have spent hours in the phone with very strange people. Sometimes we can hear wind and chickens outside in the background, or who knows maybe the chickens are inside? Anyway, if you're looking for affordable average service this is an ok deal for you. Just don’t expect to bring an unlocked iPhone from another company and be prepared to spend lots of hours on the phone every time you want upgrade or add a phone for your daughter's bday. Best of luck to you.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

They sold me an unlimited service plan for text, talk and data with no indication of it actually being a LIMITED service plan. Apparently somewhere there is small writing that isn't discussed when you're purchasing your service that limits all of the above "unlimited services".... This is not only misleading but a flat out lie that they sold me! 13 days into my plan my phone was disconnected in the middle of my work day. I spent 3 hrs trying to get the customer service to help me, but they kept transferring me to another company who kept hanging up due to technical difficulty and telling me to call back at a different time. THIS IS THEFT IF YOU ASK ME AND I WILL BE FILING AGAINST THIS COMPANY. DO NOT BE TRICKED BY THEM.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

They said I used all my data so I paid extra $10. Then they didn't add it on. After 3 days I called and they hung up on me 3 times. Last time talked to someone who said they would fix it and data came on but found out they charged me $10.. again. Then they slowed it down so much it was unusable. Employees speak poor English and unable to understand most of convo. When I asked her to spell what she was saying she said nothing for a few seconds and hung up on me. This hanging up is the norm with this company. It can take an hour with having to call back constantly. I am going to change to ** tomorrow as they have an A rating with consumer reports. Straight talk had an F rating and they deserve an F-. Terrible service.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I ported my phone number from Verizon yesterday. All my balances for talk, text, and data went to zero and when I tried to set up voicemail, dialing *86 and holding down the 1 button connected me with Straight Talk customer service. After chatting with several agents and calling and speaking with at least 4 more agents, I was unable to resolve either issue. It is very difficult to communicate with the agents. I was promised a call from technical support on two occasions but I never received a call. I am shopping for a real phone service today.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Lying company. Not only is their customer service awful and time-consuming to navigate. The company claims to be a no-contract company yet if you buy one of their phones they will not unlock it unless the phone has been active with them for 12 months. I have had this service for 5 years and I was finally fed up with their awful customer service and tried to switch companies. They were happy to port my number but didn't tell me while they were porting my number that they would not unlock my $800 phone that I bought outright. So then my phone was inactive but could not be reactivated by my company of choice because Straight Talk is holding it captive because the phone isn't a year old.

I paid $800 for this phone. It is my phone. They have no right to dictate where I service it! If I had bought a phone outright by AT&T and decided 6 months later I wanted to switch they would respect the phone is mine. I've been with the service for 5 years!!! They hid this policy on a third party website which is linked in tiny print on a small piece of paper in the phone's box. The worse company I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I cannot wait for May when they have to unlock my phone and I can stop wasting my money with Straight Talk.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

My husband broke his iPhone SE, went to Walmart and bought a new iPhone SE 2020. He wanted to keep his number etc. so the sim card from his old phone was placed into the new phone. Walmart sells Straight Talk but it Was Not disclosed that the new iPhone was locked by Straightalk and would not be able to be unlocked for 12 months. If we had know this little FACT that iPhone would not have been purchased.

I found a better carrier price at 1/2 the price I paid for Straight talk but could not get the new iPhone unlocked (due to the sim card not matching device). It took us over 24 hours to find this out after playing phone tad between Straightalk and Walmart. Walmart electronics associates should be trained and told not to exchange old sim cards and that phones sold by Straightalk will be locked for 12 months from activation (sort of a Contract for a No Contract Carrier). Even though I and my husband had been with Straight talk for over 12 months, we were stuck with a $377.00 phone we could not take with us. As for Walmart I finally got a refund for the iPhone and plan to purchase a phone from our NEW carrier. NO MORE STRAIGHT TALK for us and NO I WILL NOT recommend.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I am a college student and I have been buy the 45$ plan for years and always had high speed data until today I had a doctor's appointment and as I was using my gps they took my data and said it's 2$ to get it back. I refuse. I'm leaving after that.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

If I could rate them less than one star, I would. I purchased my son a phone and prepaid plan with Straightalk in December of 2019. It is now September of 2020. In these nine months, we've had to get his number changed THREE TIMES because his number kept being given to someone else, even though we were set up on auto refill each month. So when I would try to reach my 13 year old son, I got someone else.

My debit card was being charged to refill someone else's account. After the 3rd time of this happening, I called them and told them I wanted to totally cancel service with them and that I needed the phone unlocked so I could switch carriers. The lady I spoke with told me the phone was unlocked. We went to another carrier and got everything set up. When we put the new SIM card in the phone, it said it was still locked. I called them back and explained the situation only to be told, "You have to keep service for a year before you can unlock the phone." So either the first lady lied or doesn't know what she's doing.

I told them I was never told this. I asked them how am I supposed to keep service with a company who continuously gives my service to someone else?!?! I paid for the phone, I OWN THE PHONE, but now I am unable to use it. I spent over 3 hours on the phone with them and got nowhere. I was placed on hold and no one ever picked up. I kept calling back. I eventually had to just buy my son another phone with our new carrier, even though I have a phone that is paid for and that I own, but I can't use it. I asked for a refund on the phone if I am not able to use it because our account kept being given to someone else and I had no other choice but to cancel service. I was told they would not refund it. It's nothing short of theft. They take your money but you don't get the service you pay for. Then you're stuck with equipment you can't use but you paid for. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. The way they treat their customers is HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

I chatted with one of the customer service representatives to get some questions answered. 1 of the things I wanted answered was what would happen if I used up the 10 gigs of mobile Hotspot, I was told that it would just slow down but would continue just at a slower speed. Went ahead a did the account setup on line and during the setup process decided to lease the phone instead of purchasing outright. Was assured that the phone and phone service would bill out together. NOT TRUE! Lost credit card that I had used to set up the account with so as soon as I got new card went out to account and put new card information in. I get an email that was sent out by Smartlease that my payment was past due!

The phone wasn't activated until the 13 or 14th of August and the service is supposed to be for a month. The email was sent out September 4 at 11:30pm and the phone was off at 7:00am the next morning. Tried to call them to find out what was going on and their response was to call Smart Lease because they are the one who turned the phone off but I kept telling them that I didn't have any phone number for them and when I asked to be transferred to them I would be disconnected. Had problems understanding cs and couldn't get transferred to a USA base call center.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Went to Walmart today and one of your assistants was there and they tried to help me then get on the phone with one of your assistants and telling me my phone not compatible but when I bought the sim package the assistant called you all and said it was. So what is it? Paying for something that you all lied about. I didn't buy me another phone card because you all can't get your stories right and ripping people off like that is not the way to go. I'm going to tell everyone. Quit telling people it's compatible when it's not..

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I have been buying the unlimited plan ($55 plan) for the past 6 months or so and for a couple months now, the speed of the network is so very slow and I am very displeased. For paying 60 a month including tax I would expect the network speed to be fast but I can barely even watch videos because of the constant loading.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Took money when I cancelled auto refill and took credit card info off account, sent refund to wrong card, terrible service, I was rarely ever able to call, some texts didnt go through, I didnt receive all texts sent to me, I got a bunch of random texts from random numbers asking about micheal, customer service is also terrible, they get angry and for sure show it, I wish there was a 0 star review.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I tried to order a phone directly from their website using two different debit cards. Both were said to be declined multiple times and they would not process the order. They still charged me 4 times for the phone I wasn't getting shipped to me and when I called customer service to speak to loss prevention about a refund, they claimed that they never charged me, their system said the cards were declined. My bank accounts show otherwise. They refused to process a refund or even look into the issue with their website's payment processing. Had to resort to calling the bank directly to dispute the charges.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

This is the worst cell phone company I've ever had the displeasure of using and they have horrible customer service. First, my phone stopped getting coverage in a well-covered area. Straight Talk's (ST) Customer support agreed that this area has great coverage and there is no reason why the phone wouldn't get good reception. I dealt with it for another couple weeks until I could no longer put up with constantly having calls dropped no matter where I was.

While talking with customer service again, the rep told me that I needed to buy a new phone that is VoLTE capable because they are switching to VoLTE exclusively in the next year. In case you are wondering what that means, it essentially is using voice calls as part of the data so I only assume that by next year they will be counting all voice usage towards data consumption which will inevitably make sure you purchase the higher data plan in order to have a usable phone. I was not keen on that idea at all since we are on a strict budget because of Covid.

Then the very next month, for no reason at all, the auto-refill feature did not go through (it had always worked and there was plenty of available funds to cover the refill, there was not even an attempt at refilling) which rendered my service inactive. This was the last straw that made me consider switching mobile carriers.

When attempting to switch to the new company, I had major difficulty getting the new carrier's phone activated with the same number (since I have had this number for over 15 years). The new company's customer service rep told me that everything was fine on their end and to contact ST's customer service. When I contacted ST, their rep told me that since the phone is not active I cannot transfer the number - I had to buy a plan in order to have the number released. I reluctantly agreed to pay for a new plan but not without first offering my opinion that this is basically an extortion fee.

After telling the rep my thought she replied, "I just checked the status of the phone number and it is not available anymore. You cannot get it back." Strange, the number was available just a few seconds before that. This was a very spiteful act and I feel that there should be repercussions to an action such as that from a customer service representative for a national company. In short, stay far away from Straight Talk, their coverage is horrible, their practices are unethical, and their customer service is not only rude but spiteful. I have filed a formal complaint to their Customer Relations Department and am eagerly awaiting their reply.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

T-Mobile has dropped calls/poor range, awful customer service, lose your balance if you transfer out, and then they highjack your unlocked phone! T-Mobile cell towers are lacking in most areas unless you live in a "big" city. Forget metropolitan areas. I live just outside Orlando...17 miles from downtown. My service is fine until about the 15-16 mile going home. Inside my house it's intermittent connection. I have to leave my neighborhood to not have a dropped call - that is - if I can make or receive one.

T-Mobile has awful customer service both inside the store and on the phone. Do NOT make the mistake and call the wrong customer service number. Yes, T-Mobile and T-Mobile Prepaid are two different entities. Only the right one can help you. When you do call it's always a long wait times and multiple transfers (repeating the same issue over again and again) to get a problem resolved.

T-Mobile will keep any balance you have left in your account when you port out. No refunds. What's worse, after you port out they highjack your phone! I straight-up OWN my UNLOCKED phone. I purchased it directly from the manufacturer and I brought the darn thing to T-Mobile. When I finally ported out to Straight Talk my phone kept telling me it was locked and I had to contact T-Mobile. Seriously?! Another customer service call. They made me download their "T-Mobile Device Unlock" App. I am soooo happy to be done with T-Mobile.

Straight Talk uses either Verizon or AT&T towers (your choice based on the some card) and I chose AT&T, which has been perfect! No more dropped calls and their customer service has been good. I buy month to month auto-refill and save a dollar. No more choosing my dollar amount to load. They also have a rewards program. Plus, I asked them... Straight Talk does not lock your phone if you port out! Bonus points Straight Talk for doing things right.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Straight Talk service is horrible! They say hotspot is included, pay $55 but they don't tell you not everyone can get it due to what towers you on... buy a plan, no compensation for the lies. Phone goes down for hours, they could care less, they don't tell you of supposed down time, they should advise well before it happens. Some do have important calls. Towards the end of the month if you don't do auto pay, internet will be slowed way down and you're lucky to even get any internet. Calls and text messages, lucky to get them as many will not even go through. Customer service absolutely sucks, can't understand most of them and they do not seem knowledgeable at all about the service they are supposed to be providing. Save some money and shop around. They need to refund people some funds for lack of service that you have paid for.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Straight Talk customer service has no clue how to do anything other than read from a computer screen. They are no help at all. All they do is transfer you from department to department. It has been 3 days and my phone still doesn't work. They don't speak English. That was the final straw. I am DONE with Straight Talk. I hope everyone else follows.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I made a payment on my mother's phone bill 2 days ago. After I made the payment their automated system asked if I wanted to store my card on file for future purchases and I would save a dollar per month by doing so (one whole dollar)! I signed up for it. I checked my account after I made the payment and I could see it pending. I checked my account again yesterday and there where now two payments pending. One for 37.86 and the other for 37.83, why are the amounts different? Nonetheless I called customer service, got transferred around until I spoke with Sarah in the Philippines (who couldn't give me a reference number for the refund she processed).

Sarah told me the system processed my payment and still auto drafted another amount again after I stored my card on file. I asked why her system wasn't sophisticated enough to realize I'd already made a payment on my mother's account? She couldn't give me an answer but refunded the payment. She also couldn't tell me why the amounts were different. Their billing system is all jacked up, they know it clearly and still won't do anything about it. I'd recommend going with a bigger carrier. I certainly wouldn't go with Straight Talk. Unless you in an area where thats the only option like my mother.

Original review: July 17, 2020

Well I got Straight Talk wireless for my At&t phone and it worked good for about an hour. First off it struggled to find service, then when connected to service my phone would not connect to it fully. After trying to talk to customer service they gave me a USSD code which didn't work and said my phone was blacklisted which it isn't because I can use wifi and still call (when my phone wants to connect) after which I told customer service that they, hung up on me! I basically paid 35$ for a month of no service. Definitely will not be using or recommending this service.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Actually really liked Straight Talk I until recently. My phone was stolen, called ST and reported it, had them deactivate my account and blacklist the phone. I checked 2 days later and the phone was active and not on the blacklist. I contacted them today about it and was told my account was reactivated. I asked them how that even happened and they didn't know, asked who reactivated it so I could add that to my police report, they don't know, was told they don't keep records of who they speak to. I tried to log into my account, and couldn't, all my passwords have been changed along with the security pin on my account. I was put on hold and the rep never came back, tried again with a different agent, same thing. Seems they are more interested in helping who stole my phone than their own paying customer. Will not but another ST phone, will take my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 8, 2020

Prepare to be hung up on over and over and over for even the simplest of issues. Talked to over 40 agents for longer than 14 hours JuST to transfer service to a different phone. Robot will hang up on you, agents hang up on you. Corporate hangs up on you.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information