Miami, FL

3.7/5 (1177 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Resolution response: Sept. 7, 2021

I wanted to say that the problem that I was having has been resolved and I'm pleased with my continuing services. I have had Straight Talk for a long period and never experienced any problems with the service. I want to thank them for resolving the issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I have the 55.00 card on my phone but the hotspot usually shows up but not this time. When I try to connect to the hotspot it's telling me that I don't have that on my service but I should have 15gig. I have talked with 5 customer service and they are unable to get it working for me so I'm still doing without and not receiving a service that I paid for. I have been using the 55.00 card for a long time and when I check it on the Straight Talk app the hotspot data always shows up but not this time and I have done everything that the agents have told me with no results. I would like to get this resolved as that is why I purchase this card. Please help me resolve this problem.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

NEVER and I repeat NEVER ever buy a phone from them at full retail price thinking that you own the phone and that it's unlocked! TOTAL LIE... They don't tell you that they require you to have service with them for a full year before they will unlock it OR they make you pay an additional $100 on top of what you already paid. Keep in mind the wording on their website states as such: FULL RETAIL PRICE. Anyone with a brain would assume they own the phone with that kind of wording ESPECIALLY when there is another option that allows you to pay in installments (that's the one I would assume would be locked). It should mention something DURING the purchase process about the year wait, but no you gotta scroll all the way to the bottom of the website, read the TOS to find that out. While I know I should have done that, at the same time the wording on the website is extremely shady and misleading!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I purchased the $55 unlimited unlimited plan. It's advertised that you get 4G LTE fast internet speeds until you've reached 60Gb, then they will check what you're doing and slow it down to 2G. I haven't even reached 20Gb and my speeds have been 2G or less for around 70% or more of the time I'm using it. It has never tested at 4G speeds at all, just pretty close once. And that lasted all of two minutes before it was testing in the range of .01 to 1.5 Mbps.

I made more than ten calls to their customer service about this issue and there's no explanation or actual fix for it. They just give me a runaround and make me restart my phone over and over to no avail. They've asked me to change my settings and reboot my phone and also claim they did something on their end and again, reboot my phone. And nothing at all has changed. I even moved around the area and connected to 3 different towers with the exact same results. Do yourself a big favor if you're reading this review and avoid Straight Talk like the plague. It'll just be frustrating and costly. Just not worth it.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

iPhone and service: agent told $35 first month and $20 after first month is summer promotion. Lied. I did NOT ever have my new number to anyone, did not used on web at all. The tons of SMS, calls all spam daily in hundreds. Straight Talk did sold my info to whatever ads/lines/scammers. After 12 months I will unlock iPhone and never ever deal with such awful company. They promote to pay “No calls”. But nothing like that spam was ever at Virgin Mobile, Boost, Tello. It should be investigated. No one can sell my private info.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

You will be on hold forever try to resolve any issues with this company. They have my credit card info and will not reverse charges for an account I have never had, on the phone they are very hard to understand.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

The drop calls lately are a nuisance especially when I’m making a very important call. But the price is good and earning points are great. The phone is ok for being an IPhone 6.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Worst I do mean worst customer service I have ever had. I used to really like the service. But their techs have no clue what they are doing anymore and will just keep running you around and will not refund your money.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

So I bought a Galaxy A21 from the site. It worked for 3 months with the only issue being I couldn't send Multimedia Text. With duo it worked.... Then the Camera app stopped working... I sent it back to replacement department.... I received another A21 back. It work for 1 hour then wouldn't connect to network for data or calls.... 3 days later 18+ hour troubleshooting, over 20 different reps including 6 managers it still won't work and they still want to do more troubleshooting, refusing to do a replacement ticket.

Samsung won't directly work on the phone because of the contract with Tracfone and I still have a broken phone. The most frustrating parts are having to borrow someone's phone; they NEVER call back; and when you call back in they want to start ALL OVER again with the troubleshooting like nothing happened before. Horribly Frustrating! Buy a phone from someone else or beware, when they replace your phone you are no longer covered by Asurion Protection because it applies to the phone not the plan!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I was auto refill. I didn't have enough money on my card so when I did have enough I called and made payment for airtime. They took another payment from same card 2 weeks later and would refund one of the payments. The man was arrogant and rude. If I could change airtime companies right now I would. America needs to quit letting these people take over our businesses.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I have been on Straight Talk for a couple years now. Liked so much my wife switched too. Great customer service when I originally set up my service a few years back. Last few months have seen a big decline. Long wait times, can't understand the support tech, they don't listen to your problem, just repeat the same thing over talking you. When you get frustrated they hang up you start over. Seems all of them are supervisors. Logged into my account to find someone had changed info, billing/email address other contact info. Called support to be told it can't happen because I am the only one with the password. Did not understand it did happen. Now seems I have to worry about the security of my account with no concern from the company. Time to move on.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I spent a whole week and three different devices trying to have a sim card that I purchased at Walmart activated. Customer Service is via an app chat or calling an amorphous number that assumes via some crap IA what your problem is and hangs up on you after some pre-recorded message. The chat is like a revolving chair, asking generic questions over and over without solving your issues. Chat agents will lie to you just to get you out of the way, i.e. after waiting to hours to even get a live chat. The app will tell you you're position 61 and once an agent comes online, they'll mute on you and you have start another chat. Straight Talk needs to be report to the US Consumer Bureau, it's a scam and their sim kit says, "non-refundable." Walmart should stop associating with this brand to maintain their reputation as a credible consumer outlet. Straight Talk brand should read Straight Theft vs Straight Talk, they are stealing from consumers. Period!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Details of my atrocious experience with this company includes the following; Complete language barrier with customer service, unexpected and unexplained service interruptions, random disconnections from customer service while on hold, random silences in place of responses to questions, constantly on hold with no other input from customer service other than: "we are checking and updating your account", "this one shows etc." Truly bizarre scripted responses in place of an actual response. There's literally no point whatsoever in going with Straight Talk as a carrier. There are numerous options out there, I highly highly recommend anything, literally any other carrier in place of straight talk wireless.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Contacted Straight Talk customer service after failure to load web pages on my mobile device. Using 3 different independent speed tests all indicated less than 100kbs. WASTE OF TIME! Customer service lies.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

This company is always sending text messages but they never do what they say and their data runs out way too fast. When I call them and try to talk to them about this problem they try to sale me something.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This company is a joke. They have outsourced all their customer service to India. These people are not capable of providing any quality assistance. They will give you the run around and everyone is a "supervisor." No one updates or note your account. No one cares and the end goal is never a viable solution. I've spent countless hrs on the line with these people who all say they corporate supervisor and no one helped me. They will hang up on you and not call back and you right back in call queue. They are unprofessional and are doing unethical business. I wouldn't recommend anyone using their service ever!

Original review: July 19, 2021

I bought a phone 2 weeks ago that after 3 hours trying to connect to a signal would not operate. The money was taken out of my credit card instantly at 4:00. By 7:30 I asked for a refund. I was told no problem. It's been over 2 weeks after they told me 3 to 5 days. I've been transferred from five to seven operators every time I call and it seems that I'm never going to get a refund. Whoever those people were that I was speaking to barely spoken English. Imagine working a 10-hour day and trying to talk to somebody and customer service and they keep saying that they're sorry and apologizing and inevitably you know that nothing is going to happen in the end. It's not the 3299, it's the fact that I lost 3/3 hours of my time and being lied to about getting my refund back . I guess they need the money more than I do. I'm too tired.

Original review: July 19, 2021

The worst. They worked great for a few months but as soon as you need some sort of tech support, the actual system will fail you and you will rue the day you decided on Straight Talk. Might not happen for a while, but it will. My sim card need replacing when my unlimited plan stopped streaming at way under my 25 gigs of data. Their system would not take my credit cards for some reason, to buy a new sim card they said I needed, even tho everyone else could process my cards. The bank declared my cards fine repeatedly, and even straight talk was able to use them to process my monthly refill...but their system kept saying declined. So I had to purchase a sim card from a Walmart, but they don't just sell the sims alone, or are always out of the alone sims, so you need to purchase a full month's of service with the sim, even if like me you are already signed for auto refill.

I finally bought the unneeded month of service, and am ready to move forward, after about 10 hours wasted on the phone with techs and a non-functional straight talk system. If you are considering another carrier I'd recommend it. Things may work out for a while, but when you need some sort of tech support or some special help, you will be in for a surprise. They're inexpensive for a reason.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Purchased phone and at first was very happy. Now all I get is 1G to 3G and mostly no internet service at all. I tried reaching out to Straight Talk with no avail. They can not fix the issue. I've done everything I can, even a factory reset on my phone. All straight talk can say is, "I'm sorry to hear that". I just paid 71 dollars for another month service plus 2G. I will be changing. Providers after the month is up. I wish I never paid for the month. That's the last money from me!!!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Never mind the fact that you can't understand a ** word they say on the customer service, they routinely mess up orders and say they never got payment when the bank clearly shows they did. Had them for too long and will be changing as soon as possible.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Myself, my daughter, and her father have been ST customers for over 12yr. I purchased a new phone in January 2021. Had service for 3 months. Then I got Covid. Due to long term complications from virus I am unable to go back to work. Dr is not sure when I will. So I decided to get Q-Links' service till I return to work. Called to have phone unlocked. Was told no because it hasn't been used for 12 months since purchased. I could pay $150.00 to have it unlocked. I explained how long I have been customer as well as reason for switching providers. I was told there was nothing they can do unless I pay them $150.0 early termination fee. So I asked how they thought I could do that if I'm switching to government program for service. Customer service said, "I'm not sure but when you figure it out and have $150.00 call back. That's our policy. Have a good day. Good bye," and hung up.

I am very unhappy with customer service as well as Straight Talk period. It's a shame to because for 12 yrs I had great experience and recommended them to friends and family. I will never have service with them again nor will I recommend them to anyone. I am also filling report with FCC and filling a complaint with BBB.

Original review: June 22, 2021

Trying to use warranty. Sent phone back. No one in the Philippines can locate the phone I sent back and then some say they received it and sent out a new phone. 10 different people 10 different answers. No help whatsoever. Incompetent.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have had this carrier for 2 months and been harassing messages daily and inappropriate messages. Tried getting a hold of customer service but either they're hard to understand or they are unavailable. So frustrated. Choose a different carrier if you want good service.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have been a customer since 2010. I hadn't really experienced a ton of issues until the last 6 months. I purchase the most expensive option for service every month, as I needed the unlimited data. Now my data has been shut down after 1 week. I called customer service and spent almost 4 hours on the phone with them, and the call being disconnected 5 times, just to get literally no help. Was told that I had exceeded the amount of data I could use, all in one week.

I questioned how that would even be possible considering I was in the hospital part of that week, and had been very ill and not using my phone. They refuse to look into the matter, and left me with no data for the remainder of the month. The customer service has always been horrific to deal with. There is no reason to even try to call them about anything, you can't hear them, they speak very poor English, and it's almost guaranteed they will hang up on you. I'm leaving Straight Talk, and definitely do not recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2021

I ended up purchasing a new phone that was locked to straight talk. I figured this would be an easy problem to solve but Straight Talk made it so complicated. Every time I spoke with customer service, they either didn’t understand or just didn’t care. A lot of the time the “help” they gave me didn’t work. Ex: customer service told me to take it to Walmart to get it unlocked, and when I did, the Walmart employees said that’s impossible for them to do. When I finally got the information and help I needed (after just over two weeks of constant calls to customer service and about 12 calls in total to them) I paid the unlocking fee ($150 btw) and they said wait for an email for instructions to unlock. I waited 5 days and no email - so I checked my phone and sure enough - unlocked and they didn’t tell me. Straight talk customer service is an absolute nightmare and I pray that I never have to deal with them again.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Here we go. I've only used 15gb of my 25gb high speed data plan and they have all but shut me down. Still have 10 days before I have to top up. Why are they throttling my account? **! I'm sure to get the run around.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I have been using Straight Talk for many years and they have really good service in my opinion but my reason for giving only 3 stars and not 4 is I think they sell your phone numbers. I've had the same home phone number for many years and when I switched my service to Straight Talk I started receiving unsolicited calls every day all day, sometimes back to back calls starting at 8:00 a.m. And don't even bother to put your number on the do-not-call list. It gets even worse then.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Said I was in service area...no signal ever. Everyone around me had signal. Switched to this, thought it be cheaper. Nothing but a headache. KEEP THE PLAN YOU HAVE! THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Paid more for the hotspot...worthless.. said it was connected...nothing. It killed my batteries and has cost me thousands in replacements.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information