Miami, FL

3.0/5 (423 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: July 8, 2020

I have been a Straight Talk customer for years. However when it was time to purchase a new phone things went bad. I made my purchase on the 4th of July 2020. The special said I phone SE 349.00 or 14.00 a month for 2 years. It stated that they would not run a credit check but that approval would be based on payment history. I have always used direct payment that comes out automatically so there should be no problem. So I ordered the phone. Immediately 35.00 came out of my account. I guess I was not approved for 24 month financing. I got an email from straight talk that provided my order number and stated I would receive an email when my order shipped. Today 8 July I called straight talk And listened to all the menus...waited 10 min for a person to answer.

This was done after online chat not 611 could answer my question which was Where is my phone! Talking to customer service was a struggle because he was having difficulty understanding me and was was having the same. I was passed to 3 different service reps...Each of who I had to explain my situation and provide the same information. The last one said that my order number did not exist. That number came from the straight talk web site in my account when I log in. When I ask why they had charged me 35.00 he said..."Oh you have to call the Smart Pay company. That’s why we have no record of your order."

At no time during the purchase was I informed that I would be dealing with a third party. All confirmation emails came from straight talk. So I called smart pay...phone menus and music until a person answered. Again not a short phone call. She ask a lot of questions and told me it takes 3 business days to process the order not counting weekends. She explained that today was day 3 and if the confirmation email didn’t come I could call back tommorrow and cancel the order.

I ask her to just cancel the order if it didn’t ship today so I didn’t have to waste 20 min listening to music waiting for help. She put me on hold for 10 min...then came back and said she would cancel it if it didn’t ship and I would be credited 35.00 in 2-4 buisness days. I ask why I didn’t get the 14.00 a month plan and all she could say was I wasn’t approved. My guess is that NO ONE is approved. If you add up 35 x 12 you will see why no one is approved as the price of the phone is 349.00. SHADY IS PUTTING THIS NICELY.

Original review: July 5, 2020

You are unable to unlock a phone that hasn't been active (sim active) for 12 months despite how long you have been a customer using the same account. I was rapidly deployed (US military on 7/4/2020) and now I have waited days (since 7/1/2020) to complete this routine task. Additionally it took calling 2 times before someone told me my most recent sim had only been active like 6 months. I have been a loyal customer since Dec 2012. Unacceptable Straight Talk. Phones that are bought and paid for should come unlocked or at a minimum be able to be unlocked using a customer service representative.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Ported my number first. Then attempted to port my wife’s number... she’s not had service for 5 days, we have well over 14 hours on the phone with them bounced between Straight Talk and TracFone... same company by the way. Now she can’t even revert back to old service because they say it’s not our account that the number in question has been a TracFone number for 4 years. We’ve had that number for 3 years with AT&T. Still on the phone getting bounced back and forth. Personally I would have given up by now and just got a new number.

Original review: June 16, 2020

2 phones in 3 mos, same defect in both. My 73 yo mom should go w/o phone until they get the defective one and decide to fix it or send a new one out. OR she can purchase a new one and send old one back at her expense. They won’t even let her return it to the ST retailer she purchased from. That wasn’t mentioned in their “All ST phones come with a warranty” claim.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I was Stupid enough to have service with them. Don't do it!! the customer service is non existent, you wont be able to understand them!! Its always, "We cant help you, you are ** out of luck, Sorry about your luck!!" There are plenty of better cheaper options out there that will actually treat you good depending on the network you want to use. I switched and I am so happy I did!! please do your self a favor and stay far away from this company or any of its sister companies. Here are all of the companies they own {TracFone Wireless, NET10 Wireless, Total Wireless, Safelink Wireless, Straight Talk, Telcel America, SIMPLE Mobile, and. Page Plus Cellular.} Do yourself a favor and stay far far away!! You can get much cheaper and better service on any of the 4 networks elsewhere.

Original review: June 12, 2020

The service is buggy and often slow, but the customer service is worse. I spent over 6 hours on the phone with customer service and they kept putting me on hold, telling me lies, and then hanging up on me when they were transferring me. After repeatedly telling me the problem was my iPhone, they admitted they had made an error in their setup and the problem was fixed. Their online support is terrible. Only a limited chat bot. Their phone support had me pulling out my hair. After wasting so much of my time and me having to go a week without the service I paid for working, they seemed to think I should be so excited they finally fixed their error. No refund for lost time or reparations for my lost time and frustration.

Original review: June 5, 2020

This company is by far the shadiest company I've ever had the misfortune of doing business with. I had a phone on my Verizon plan break and being unable to afford a brand new verizon phone we decided to go with purchasing a Straight Talk device and using it. Unfortunately this is when the real troubles started as everyone from Verizon was saying that we just needed a new sim card that was activated to be inserted in the device. Well after doing that we were told the device had to be activated which we did that as well. Then we get to the same spot we've been stuck at only to find out that straight talk's ToS states that you have to have continual service on a device for a year before they will unlock it for you.

I spoke to someone in their unlocking department then I spoke to their supervisor neither had any intention of helping me. This company has their fine print down. Don't bother going through them even as a prepaid service one of the other companies are by far way better than this one. Worst customer service, worse overall service. Devices are cheap but expected to be worth and I quote "$600" as referenced by the supervisor I spoke to who explained that since we buy the devices for cheap we have to pay for a year to equal out to the $600 device that we technically own, but can't use anywhere but their crappy service.

Original review: June 2, 2020

I been buying headphone data cards. The $55 ones that are 60 or 61 after tax and fees applied. Been noticing lately the sorry service they been giving me. After about a week of buying data online with them my data becomes slower than molasses on a turtle's behind. I called and called the so called tech people who happen to be Pakistan or Indian. Just wonder if they had a merger with a Pakistani company lately. My explain the not so good service? Anyway for 3 months now been dealing with slow data after about a week of buying data. They sort of treat you like you have a plan with them instead of let it run on and just buy more data, instead of tether or put brakes on your data. I have an elderly parent I have to shop online for! My opinion...thinks they are using the pandemic virus to screw people out of data by maybe giving your data to someone else!

Original review: May 26, 2020

Straight Talk Home Phone Box won't activate because they don't support it. According to their online activation, It works.... in reality, it won't. Three customer service agents hung up on me "Matthew" "Romell" and another man who's name was unintelligible. When I asked to speak to a supervisor "Emily" told me "our supervisors don't take calls". I advised "Emily" that I would be contacting the Missouri Attorney General's Office and filing a complaint with the Honorable Eric Schmitt. "Emily" quickly connected me to "Romano" who repeatedly tried to convince me to purchase more equipment.... Very low quality service and rude. I'd stay away from Straight Talk.

Original review: May 25, 2020

Someone else used my name to get the phone service. I'm used to this company, as they're partnered with Fingerhut. I use QLink. About a month ago qlink quit servicing to me, and I called and asked. They said it's because I'm servicing with another company and only 1 service at a time. I did not switch, a family member/friend/other signed up using my information, and stole the phone. Anyways... Long story, but I tried explaining this to the rep, and they said I was a thief.

I hung up on them. They called 3 to 4 times in a row. I hung up on them.... I'm not the thief... It's someone else in my family, or a soon to be ex friend. Needless to say, they're partnered with fingerhut... They tried the same thing with me... I refused to pay the bill because someone robbed me, and they said it's my problem... I am switching somewhere else. I was petrified. The guy kept calling me a thief, and bagged on me for like 10 minutes. He should get a mark for insulting the customer. I didn't make the account, but later on found out who did.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I purchased a Bring Your Own Device SIM card to pair with a brand new unlocked iPad with the sole purpose of setting it up so my elderly grandmother can Facetime. She is in assisted living and, as I am a nurse, I cannot in good conscience visit her during an epidemic. I easily installed the SIM card and was able to get the data connection set up and working. Facetime would only work on WIFI. No amount of trouble shooting resolved this issue. So I called customer service and spent the next three hours on the phone. I was transferred multiple times. I was told by multiple people that I had to have a phone number for the device for them to access my account. Tablets don't have phone numbers. I was also told more than once that the company doesn't offer service for tablets. Which doesn't make sense since I purchased a SIM that says on the package "Bring Your Own Tablet."

One employee told me I did not have an active account on my SIM which was surprising since I could turn off WIFI and use data to access the internet. At one point, an employee transferred me to the Apple Customer Service line where I spent more time on hold. When I called Straight Talk back, the person I reached had poor phone service (I was on a landline- it wasn't me) and the call dropped. By the time I finally reached someone again and demanded a refund, it was over a half hour long process. The gentleman I spoke with said his phone service was poor because he was working from home. No one I spoke with seemed to understand what an iPad or Facetime even was and even when I requested to speak to someone who could help troubleshoot this specific issue, I got nowhere.

I did finally get my refund after some poor gentleman literally listened to me sob inconsolably on the line while he worked through whatever very lengthy process was required of him to get me a refund. I just wanted to be able to see my 94 year old grandmother without giving her COVID! I was also fine with a refund if it hadn't taken hours to get! I'll be going to our local wireless company tomorrow to get the tablet set up. If it is 10 times the price, it will be worth it. Straightalk is that awful. I can't even remember the last time I bothered to leave a review, but this particular experience was worth sharing.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I’ve been using their service for approximately four years, and had been quite satisfied, until I attempted to purchase a phone from their website. That’s when I discovered how awful of a company they are. I ordered an iPhone through them, using their SmartPay credit program. After a few days, the phone still hadn’t shipped, so I decided to call and was informed that they had a systemwide malfunction and they had to reset everyone’s line of credit and that I could reapply after 7 days. Annoying, but I understand that things happen. I decided at that point to just pay for the phone in total, without using SmartPay, and this was a huge mistake. I ordered the phone, which was in stock according to their site. After five business days, the phone still hadn’t shipped, so I contacted them using their online chat service, and was told that the phone would ship out that day. The next day, still no shipping notification.

I called them, and was informed that my order had been cancelled, due to the phone not being in stock. The whole time this is taking place, there had been a 750 dollar hold on my bank account for the phone. Immediately after being told that the order was cancelled, the transaction finalized in my account and the money was taken out. I called them again, and spent an hour and a half on the phone trying to figure out why they took the money out, only to be told that they have no record of the transaction, so they can’t refund me. I called my bank, and was told that Straight Talk had definitely charged my card and that the transaction was completed, so the only thing I could do at this point is to file a dispute. Straight talk couldn’t be more of a dishonest nightmare. Quite literally the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If I could give them zero stars, I would. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 15, 2020

It's not unlimited for the $55 a month plan. They shut off my data after 1 week because I used too much. They proceeded to tell me that I had been connecting multiple devices to my phone yet I hadn't used my mobile hot spot data at all and mobile hotspot is the only way to connect multiple devices. They kept telling me it is unlimited and referred me to the terms and service agreement section 6 & 7 and saying I reached my data LIMIT. There shouldn't be a limit on an UNLIMITED plan. I took screenshots and recorded our call so I can tell everyone it's not unlimited like they advertise!! And their customer service reps hung up on me twice and the chat with an agent online service was a joke. They kept telling me I had 1 minute to respond or they would disconnect the chat session so I didn't even have time to type a response and then they tried to disconnect me after 30 seconds and I said it hasn't been a minute.

They then said "please be reminded that 60 seconds is equivalent to one minute." Very rude. And they refused to answer my questions about it being unlimited and claimed I violated their terms and conditions when I hadn't violated anything. And they proceeded to say they wanted to call me instead of chat. POINT OF THIS REVIEW this phone service IS NOT unlimited. They choose when you've used too much data!!! And if there is any question to the validity of these statement I have screenshots of the chats and recorded calls as proof. Feel free to contact me at **.

Original review: May 14, 2020

We have been with Straight Talk for about 5 years..we have had some issues here and there but nothing beats this issue. Did you know YOUR straighttalk phone is locked for 12 months. Not throw it in a drawer and wait, nope.. 12 months of activation...doesnt matter we (family of 3 with straight talk) has been with them for 5 years each. Can't buy a phone, decide finally after 5 years we are gonna switch, and can't. Isn't that a contract?

My 16 yr old bought a new phone (paid in full) in Feb 2020 and it's May 2020 and we found a new carrier that offers lower rates and more stuff (Visible, ck it out y'all seriously) but he can't switch bc his phone is locked for 10 more months..when my son finally got thru to straighttalk's 'unlock' dept he asked the rep 'how is a phone that I paid for in full locked? I dont understand'. The rep said 'its policy. good day' and hung up on him. Really crappy customer service and we looked all thru his paperwork he got with his phone and nothing in there mentions a locked device for 12 months.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I'm in the market to upgrade my phone and thought it would be best to go thru their website. Big mistake! An agent helped me step by step verifying the phone I wanted in the color I wanted all the way to the very end of the purchase. A few hours and nearly $700 later I receive an email stating my order had been successfully canceled. I contact the company and they tell me it's because the phone was out of stock when I made the purchase. Well, okay but now what I ask. Their reply was to reorder the phone because now suddenly it was back in stock. Are you confused? I know I was.

So I if I reordered again when would my first order be refunded, I asked. I was told it's policy that it takes 30 DAYS for returns (in this case a cancel) to be refunded! 30 days to be refunded for something I did not cancel and was walked step by step through the online purchase process by one of their agents. And their only other response was that they're sorry for the inconvenience. Out $700 for at least 30 days and nothing to show for it yet they want me to reorder the exact phone because suddenly it's available again. What a joke. They lost a loyal customer who has been with them for many years.

Original review: April 28, 2020

Well I'm the type who goes from phone company to phone company, device to device and so on. This by far was the most disappointing for me, Verizon was quite working in my area and the phone constantly glitches so I tried transferring my Verizon number to a new Straight Talk phone. We messed up by not buying an activation card first since we figured you can buy it online. I first tried their website and failed at getting to the payment part every time. I then called 8 times within 2 days to which only 3 times were answered, one of those answered moments involved loud yelling in the beginning then the phone was placed on a desk near what I assume was the computer, while a muffled video played in the background for almost 20 mins 'til I hung up. The other call transferred me over to only be hung up on and the final they kept transferring me back in forth cause my debit card "wasn't in the system".

I really gave them my card info so many times and they kept saying it wouldn't work, we then drove to 3 different stores looking for the straight talk phone card from all the manuals and what the customer service said to find. I entered the $55 card number only to be told hours later that I still need to get a card to activate it. I got the app and they still say I have no device active, even though it has my old number now. I'm fed up and annoyed, never has activating or transferring number been so hard or take so long. The customer service was rude. I don't recommend this.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Wish they had $25 or $30 plans because everyone can’t afford the $35 plus tax plans. I think if they do more affordable plans they would have even more satisfied customers. But other than that I really like the service. Just need more affordable plans.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Straight Talk Wireless is a cheap way to have cellphone service, but Mint Mobile is even cheaper and does more for people affected by COVID. I was a Straight Talk Wireless customer from 2018 through April 2020. When I went to switch to Mint I had a nightmare experience with customer service, despite trying to be proactive and get started on the process several days early in case of hiccups. Despite having pay-as-you-go service, the phone was locked and when I called to get it unlocked, they only partially unlocked it. So when it comes to calling (the main function of a phone) I basically have a brick for a phone. When I tried to get it resolved (via chat, since I had no calling capability) the representative kept telling me to call a number.

When I asked for a Supervisor they kept me waiting indefinitely. They offered no solutions. I proposed ideas for solutions but they shot them down with a no every time. I even offered to switch back as a customer in order to get the phone working again! Literally, the customer service representative didn't take me up on the offer to return as a customer to get my phone working (maybe they were so used to telling people "no" that they didn't realize they were losing the customer base that keeps them employed?). It was then that I realized this was 1 star service. I worked 8+ years in a customer service center in the telecommunications industry and so I'm very happy to give leeway and be patient with people who may be new or in training. This wasn't the case here. This was horrible customer service and I will never be returning. Buyer beware.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Have been with other large cell phone companies, paying large sums for same or similar service. I have not experienced any dropped calls. The only negative would be you need to buy your phone. However I have seen free phones offered through this company. Good value for the price.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I bought a Straight Talk service packet with a sim card being your own phone pack and **'s sister answered, turns out I wasn't using the right sim card in the pack but it was saying my phone was compatible and she activated my card on a sim card that wouldn't work for my phone. You need to get some English speaking people that know what they're doing, your personal support is **.

Original review: April 7, 2020

I pay $500/yr for unlimited service, never had a problem, have always had coverage everywhere I go. They provide a SIM and easy to follow instructions to get online. They provide an easy to understand APP if you want to track data usage.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Straight Talk gives you the option to bring any phone of your choice or you can purchase one of their phones. I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as your phone provider.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Everything is fine with my service but I do wish there were better options for the hotspot capability. Ex: If I'm paying for unlimited data why can't my hotspot be unlimited using said data. And if a company is having a cap for hotspot data, they should have more than 1 option.

Original review: April 2, 2020

We purchased new phones several months ago, these being 3 of 4 we have purchased with Straight Talk. In addition to the phone, Straight Talk provides a certain number of points for said purchae, which can be used for paying your monthly bill etc. Well, straight talk added the points and said they would be available for use in 2 months. We went back after two months to apply this to our account (equivalent to approximately 125.00) and the points had disappeared. Upon calling straight talk and inquiring why, the simply hung up on us....5 times. One corporate CS rep said ease give it 48 hours. We did....no points. We called back. They hung up 3 times. Called corporate. They gave as the same run around as the first time. Simply put, average phones, average service, zero customer service. Try Cricket or anyone by these thieves.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I’m actually not disappointed in my service providers. Their customer services is probably the only spot that they’re lacking at but it’s not that bad. And pricing works for me. But I wouldn’t mind paying for a cheaper plan. But overall happy with my service.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Original review: March 29, 2020

The phone selection is really great! The signal is strong everywhere and I rarely hit a dead spot. My only complaint is the cost of the plans. I've seen other pre-paid carriers with lower prices for air time, they just don't have the phone choices and the signal strength isn't as good. The customer service could be improved also.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I was told that my phone wouldn't not be disconnect and they did it. Because of this virus a lot of people is out of work and we have no way to pay our bills. I feel like Straight Talk is heartless. They only worried about money when we the customers don't have.

Original review: March 26, 2020

Worst customer service I have ever come across!!! Made a payment to extend service and somehow it got credited to the wrong account. Not mine. It took 6 reps just to find that out and that took 3 telephone calls. Then after finding that out was suppose to be transfered to the refund department so they can transfer the service to whomever the credit went to to my phone and get hung up on. Call back rep transfer and the same thing happens again. Call back again and the same thing. Absolute BS. To add to it they are offshore phone reps. Asking for a supervisor doesn't help as they did I the same thing. Ask for a US rep - they say they can't do that. Stay away far far away from this Mickey Mouse company!!!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information