3.9/5 (677 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Customer service 0, Tracfone 10 so far. I switched lifeline providers because Tag Mobile was not giving me the promised data. At its best I got 500MB full speed LTE, then slow slow data speed after that usually never reaching the 1GB limit. SafeLink is supposed to give me 3GB data at full LTE speed. Maybe, but I'm skeptical so I've connected my iPhone (buy your own phone if you get Lifeline wireless service or you'll get one of their godawful ~$50 smartphones) to my PC as a modem. It worked as soon as I activated the phone, so I'd recommend Tracfone if you have to pay for service, but it seems Mint Mobile beats all the other mobile virtual operators. If you have SafeLink I wish you well, there really aren't many good Lifeline wireless providers. The whole program is a wreck.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I recently had to cancel my service with Safelink since I cannot use their outdated phone due to my progressing nerve damage disability. I shake constantly and it takes me 5 minutes to send/reply to a text message. (I am on SSDI, have my Notice of Award from the SSA etc). I have been a customer of theirs for going on ten years now and just wanted a smartphone (which all new customers, many of my friends included, receive) so I can speech-to-text. Maria at Option #6 (or Chrysall or whatever name she uses... she gave different names at different times) gave me the runaround for 2 weeks, always giving me a different explanation for what I had to do in order to receive a smartphone.

She finally said I had to make a call from a 3rd party phone to start the process. I contacted my HUD housing supervisor with my Enrollment ID (she has my other personal information obviously as well). After a few transfers, she was eventually told my account didn't exist and was hung up on. I called Maria back (whatever name she used this time) furious on how I told her to expect my housing supervisor's call, yet she was treated as such. Maria then told me that I missed some deadline and was not eligible for an upgrade... which made me furious as to the lengths that I had already had gone through and the time I wasted for myself and my housing supervisor.

I know that many customer service representatives can come off as stupid, but Maria was beyond dumb. It's not a case of not knowing how to do her job, rather, she is clearly retarded and should not be dealing with the general public at all, let alone be in customer service. The only thing I would recommend her for is an appearance on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon. Maybe then she would get enough money raised for her to get the necessary treatment that would help her remember her own name.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

They are obviously contracted in India or some other country because when talking to customer service the reception is very bad and we can hardly hear each other. Plus, every person I talk with has a heavy accent that makes communicating even harder. I’ve been trying for months to get my lifeline service reactivated and they keep rejecting my application. I never get any notice that it’s been rejected, I have to go through the long process of calling and waiting to get through to someone. Each time they tell me the info I submitted wasn’t sufficient. First I needed to submit 2 months of income, then 3. Then I was told I need to submit my tax return. Today when I called I was told I need to submit my last 4 months of income. I told them, "Never mind, I’m tired of trying." The service was horrible anyway, lots of dropped calls and my texts rarely went through. Horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I have an Alcatel phone that was a replacement of a flip phone that I was told I had a year too long that I got no notification to replace after it had wAs worn out. It started about 6 months ago when it wasn't charging right. I figured out the the inside charging tab in charging port was coming down. I was told it was because of the cord I was using. They didn't want to hear anything about the tab coming out so I let it go and got another cord. It still was happening to the point of having to have it in awkward position to charge and has fallen numerous times and cracked the screen from trying to charge it. Now I am there is nothing they can do about screen or port because phone is not warrantied. I also have noted that battery charge carries to point of one time says over 15% then it's shutting off and when I restarted has over 20% and it's cold out so it's not the heat.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I would definitely give them zero stars if I could. Their customer service is deplorable. They find excuses not to provide their customers with phones and is being compensated for proving appalling service and it seems like no one cares. Their competition at least provide phones and replacement phones while they are on warranty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

The approval process was easy and phone arrived in a timely manner. However, the phone lasted less than two months and they do not send replacements. I can see many others had phone issues as well.While qlink does not replace phones, either, my phone from them lasted two years or more. Avoid Safelink unless you plan on bringing your own phone and never requiring customer service!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I had a problem with my phone a week ago when I got one 2 that I tried to add to my plan instead of the low quality one I purchased from them. They deactivated my account after they said the first one was actually T-Mobile. I said don't deactivate my account because the second one was in town to be delivered to me and I would call back in an hour or 2 with its IMEI number. They deactivated me. I tried 15-20 times to purchase one from them after that one ended up being Walmart brand that I was forwarded to by one of the 35-40 service reps I had the pleasure of being lied to by, never once was I able to get to a sales person to get a phone purchased and because after 6 or 7 hours of arguing with them because they would take 4 and 5 minutes to fake type to check my address or ask my name and or account number.

I did ask what kind of computer they were using that it would take close to 5 minutes to get a response. They refused to answer. Finally, I realized they were doing it to keep me on the phone wasting my minutes at 45-50 minutes a call except for the 20-30 they hung up on me until ultimately the last agent told me I had to go to my settings to shut off the airplane mode. I said it wasn't on. She said it's not and within 2 minutes of the time I got the screen up saying it wasn't on she said the reason your phone hasn't let you make a call or text is because you are out of minutes. Just another lie from the service agents after 40 plus phone calls and never getting it back to working for me once after deactivating on their end twice.

Now I have no idea if it will ever work again or not after reading all of the other horror stories of the way this company treats the disabled people that need these devices for emergencies of all kinds. I'm a multiple stroke survivor and it might end up putting me in a life or death situation not having a phone because of the games the customer service reps that speak better English that I can understand one of 10 or 15 words they say. Usually that's OK and that's about it until they ran me out of having a phone. Why this company has these people still on the clock, I will never be able to understand. Why our government doesn't do something about it, I won't know either. It comes out of taxpayer dollars for Medicaid and the disabled.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

These people lie about pending minutes. I buy airtime for my phone. They are stealing minutes, then I'm on WiFi with data off, when I checked my data it's out. Something needs to be done asap. I hate SafeLink phone service. Ok trying to help people. Yeah stealing pending minutes.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I won't recommend them to anyone. Spoke to 8 different people about a service plan issue and never got the problem solved. They kept transferring me to different departments without giving them a heads up what the previous conversation was about. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

BUNCH OF IDIOTS. They shut my phone off / STOLE my minutes for SPITE. I THINK those people have a sickness and need help. They are all losers. Shut my phone off after I got out of hospital with open heart surgery. I'm 76 disabled and they still shut my services off. I HAD NO PHONE and didn't even realize those creeps shut phone off.. Said I didn't have any minutes. I had 980. Asked about the FREE phone that govt provides, they said "we stopped giving phones out." GUESS WHAT? Its not for them to decide.

Bought another phone a week later. Never turned services on or transferred minutes over to new phone. Had to call corp office in FLA. THEY ARE JUST AS STUPID, IGNORANT as those pos at Safelink. After an hr. they decided to turn my services back on. Said application needed updated. Told them I did that 4 times. Every time I'd call, said didn't get my info. After 13 days, said they got it but couldn't read a number on snap card. So they shut my services off again. Said I'd have to re-enroll again even after I did that 4 times. I think they just do that for spite, and they are sick in the head. CORP JUST AS STUPID AS THE GOOFBALLS OVERSEAS. How in God's name can they shut my phone off when I just had open heart and have no phone, and never even told me they were going to shut phone off? SICKOS.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I've already had several different phones with Safelink with no success. They do not hold a charge after just a few months even though I'm very careful with the charger. Today was just so sick. I was forced to buy a phone at Target so I could keep my old number. They told me that all target stores sold net 10 phones. Lie 1. No one does except for them so they can make their sales money. Lie number 2 was to keep the phone I bought. I had buy sim kit again. Told to me that was sold all over not. So to Fedex this useless sim kit I had to pay 16.03 plus 20 for a phone plus now 20 dollars in Tracfone plan. I hate safelink. With them you are bankrupt. Go safelink. Go safeless. Metro PCS has 100000000000 times the product and service. I just wish I could afford it again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

It takes forever to get this service. Do not try to rate their service. After talking to service rep they will not hang up. They know when they hang up you will be transfer to rate them and why this company hire people you can understand.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Because of the first of the year, no more 3g phone service, I went to Safelink website to order a new 4g phone. I couldn't decided between 2 phones and they both were cheap enough, so decided to order 2 and see which one worked the best. I ordered one phone and then when I tried to order second one, it said the website was experiencing problems and my order could not go through and try again later, which I did, then got an email that said I ordered 3 phones.

I called them to cancel 1 that they ordered twice and was on the phone for 20 minutes with one guy, who then after going through all the stuff said he couldn't cancel it and he transferred me to another guy, who went through the whole thing AGAIN and then asked me for my Credit Card number and finally said they had no way to cancel orders and the only thing I could do was refuse the phone when it came to me, which was crazy. How am I to know which phone is in which box. I can't believe that a big company like Safelink cannot cancel an order. And it wasn't my mistake in the first place. So beware if you order anything from them. So now I'll be stuck with 2 of the same kind of phones. All I have stated is true and just happened today.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Safelink is awful. I used their plan for almost two years. During this time I would get hit with constant scam and phishing phone calls. It was to the point I couldn't even turn my phone on because the text messages would not stop. Even after calling the company and switching my number, it still continued. The phone they had provided me was a very old model that is not a smartphone, but small, straight non-flip phone (like a Nokia basic phone). You can't block phone numbers on that phone.

Recently a friend gave me one of their old smartphone TracFones. I called to switch to it. They were willing to change it till they asked where I purchased it. When I said it was a gift, they told me that it was incompatible with their technology. They then tried to sell me a phone. I told them I couldn't afford a phone due to circumstances in my life. That this friend gave me this phone to help me communicate better with doctors, family, therapists, etc as my child had been battling cancer and both my children have autism. They did not care. I find it very confusing that they can make a very archaic phone work with their plan but cannot use a smartphone that is only a few years old. They are a sad company when they try to milk money out of the very poor and ill. I have cancelled my plan with them and will be going with a different company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My son is eligible for a free phone due to his disabilities. Initially, he had service through Assurance Wireless, but the phone was poor quality and difficult for him to use. So, I transferred his service to Safelink so that he could use a familiar Apple device. From the beginning, the process of transferring service was much more difficult than it needed to be, in part because the customer service reps. are very robotic. They sound intelligent until you ask a question. At that point, they simply repeat what they just said. If you do not understand what they are telling you, they continue to repeat the same response, over and over again. I finally realized that they have a script, and they stick to it. They lack any understanding of how or why the process works. And when they get stuck, they simply transfer you to another department.

Despite having a spare iPhone, I was advised that I had to buy a new one from SafeLink, a division of TracFone. After several frustrating months of poor cellular coverage and mysteriously disappearing data, I decided I would rather pay for good service than accept crappy, unreliable free service. When I called to transfer the phone to Verizon Wireless, I was told that I had purchased a locked phone. Embedded deeply in the terms and conditions (which we all read thoroughly) is a policy that a phone cannot be unlocked until you have had service with them for an entire year. I spoke with several different robots, who all spit out the same response: “The terms and Conditions of... blah, blah, blah”. Ultimately, I recognize that I was remiss in not reading the terms, although I still would have bought the phone, because I expected he would have adequate cellular coverage.

So, now I will pay another $600 for another phone and pay out of pocket for good coverage. The thing that really makes me angry is that the government will have to pay for 6 months of unused service before I can unlock and use the phone I paid for in the first place. The population served and the government program paying for this program are both being short changed by SafeLink!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

They create sudden problems in your service line and deactivate your phone. When you call their customer service you will not be able to talk to anyone because your phone needs to be activated. They have a recording that will ask to use debit or credit to activate and be able to use your phone. All their phone number will answer with the same recording and you will not be able to speak to anyone and unless you buy minutes, your phone will be useless. Keep in mind when they disconnect your line it is not because of real legitimate reason. It is just a ploy to suddenly stop your service and make you buy minutes. In my case they disconnected my line suddenly 2 days after I joining and bringing my number to their company. So I wasn't able to use my phone or receive calls in my long time number. They give me fake reasons such as "because I didn't use my phone for 60 days," which wasn't true. I need to reapply for California Lifeline again.

Another reason I was given by another employee is that I was enrolled in two different phone companies in the same time and I need to reapply to Cal lifeline which will take 3 weeks and would I like to buy minutes so I would be able to use the phone until the problem resolved. When I called California lifeline I was told everything is okay and I am not registered with either company and I could just go to any participant company and get a phone. These on the other side of the phone are Filipinos employees in a calling center in the Philippines; They know that the phone company scamming you to buy minutes. I hope this company be investigated by the authorities in the US and penalized for their criminal activities which includes extorting the lifeline recipients and customers.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Every single month for well over a year now, I have to spend hours speaking with multiple reps and supervisors to get my service to continue working properly. Whether it's the free minutes kicking in, or getting a paid plan to work properly. I go through no less than three to five different reps who all claim to have fixed the problem, each of them telling me the previous rep didn't fix it correctly. HOURS EVERY MONTH!!! Something is not right with the service they provide. I would NEVER rely on it to be there God forbid I were having a health emergency or were stranded somewhere. The govt needs to look into it, as it's THEIR Lifeline service that Safelink is providing. There has to be a better company that is more reliable.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have called so many times, I've just about given up. I have a heart condition and can not make or receive calls unless I'm standing with my head against one window in my apt. If I have another heart attack I doubt I will be standing near that window if it happens. This service is appreciated because I need to be able to call for help, that's what it was created for and Safelink, bounces me back and forth from TracFone & Safelink whenever I call. I have gone through all their testing, turning off the phone, using another phone, etc. It remains the same. Does anyone know what government agency you call to get results?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

RUN DON'T WALK away from SAFELINK. They don't turn in paperwork to lifeline in timely manner meaning I have been disenrolled several times in the past few months. Regular customer service is so terrible that even if you can understand the algorithm they follow, they still are rarely helpful and the supervisors aren't much better. The only way to get help is to complain to all the companies one complains to (the ones who regulate utilities) which I just did. They have never admitted the reason I was dis-enrolled is that they bungled the paperwork deadline to LIFELINE California.

The service reception uses Verizon towers where I live, all my PAYING neighbors have super service and mine is so bad that to make a call and understand who is on the other end, I have to drive several streets away. Then in a really odd turn of events, called lifeline yesterday (after another dis-enrollment notice arrived) and found out they had attached my info to someone else's lifeline number (also a disenrolled number? They tell me Call Safe-link. I call Safe-link who informs me, "Yes you are dis-enrolled and your name is correct??" AND AROUND IT GOES.

So I have sent complaints to everyone who may be able to help straighten this mess out with both of them and am researching another company...I am DONE with safe-link. Should have dumped them way back when instincts said run don't walk. Although it was like, once one is in hell, why leave and then go back again? Only this isn't hell and we have a choice. Don't make this one.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I agree with all the negative reviews. The experience is so bad that I now believe they are purposely trying to frustrate the customer to the point where you are desperate enough to PAY for a few minutes while waiting for problems to be resolved or your phone to be turned back on or arrive. I have placed approximately 50 calls and talked to that many reps and supervisors over a six month period and I have only had two tell me the same thing. Everyone else said, "They shouldn't have told you that" about the other agents. You give them the info they need and they said it's either not enough or they never received it. Phones don't work - it's your fault; system doesn't work - they don't know why; they don't understand what you're saying - it's your fault, again, even though they are in foreign countries and it's hard to communicate with them; you're rejected - it's Lifeline's fault, not theirs. You call Lifeline, and they say it's Safelink's problem; etc.

I must say something else, I have had Safelink for about 4 years and everything was fine until 2019. I don't know what happened but you're in the Twilight Zone with these people, now. We need to urge the powers that be to open an investigation. I tried other companies but from the response I got it seems they will all be just as bad. If anyone has a little money to spend on a phone, you might be better off using Lifeline's discount program instead. You'll have to get a plan from a company such as AT&T and you very likely will qualify for a discounted rate. Thanks for all the reviews. It helps to know you are not alone!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Since day one I have not been able to use the plan's data connection service. I at least have voice service and text service but the data connection has never worked. I have has 3 ticket numbers and still I have not been able to get any answers or help. Each agent I speak to says they have to go through the same basic steps for me to speak to someone to check the status of my service. That is a huge waste of time for myself and the company. From a company standpoint, why are you paying your employees money for something that will not work? You're giving money for free away! Haa ha that's so bad business but good for the employees. Thanks for that Safelink Wireless but customers like me will never EVER EVER refer anyone to your service.

Sure, this is a free government plan but nothing is free and if there is another company that the U.S. government can contract then I will switch in a New York minute. It's almost like all these call centers in the Philippines have the same script and it is designed to not help customers. I mean just look at other review websites like Google or Yelp, yea even this one! This is such a horrible service that I prefer having nothing instead of it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I've been getting my monthly minutes on the first of each month. This month I haven't received any minutes and I'm unable to make or receive calls. My service end date is in April of 2020, so it's not that. I've called 3 times and I've gotten 3 different replies. The first time I was told it was fixed and the minutes were added. It never happened. I called again and was told it would be fixed and I would have my minutes and be able to use my phone within 2 hours. Twenty-four hours later and still no minutes and still unable to use my phone. I called a third time and was told it sometimes takes 5 or 6 days to receive minutes, so I should be receiving them in a day or two. In the meantime, assuming I do get my minutes, I've been without my phone service for 4 days now. I'm a heart patient and this is totally unacceptable. I'll be looking for a different carrier.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

We've been having issues with this Safelink for months now. I do not understand how the phone that has service can take calls, but cannot send out texts. This issue even happens with the phone connected to wifi as well. The person we were talking was rude and did not want to help with the issue. She just had us restart the phone and claimed it was the service. Since she did not understand what was going on with the phone, we told her we wanted to talk to someone else, she placed us on "hold". We could hear everyone talking for over 30 minutes before it went to a computer message that ended the call. Worst customer service we've ever had.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I have been with this company on and off for a few years. At first they seemed great, until more recently. I mean, you get a free phone (assuming you didn't already have an account through them), but even so if you have to buy one through them, the prices aren't that bad. So there's not much to complain about there. What I'm more upset about is the fact that their workers are SO incompetent, and don't even do their job. I accidentally broke my phone a couple months ago, and I've tried countless times buying new phones to replace it.

I bought 2 phones, one after the other. And they couldn't activate either on my number- and they were Tracfone, so they SHOULD have worked (at least one should have!) Their excuse was an error kept popping up, and I had to "wait 24 hours" 7 times during a duration of a WEEK. They couldn't "fix" the problem. After that, I was fed up with having a shattered screen and tired of hearing the old "wait 24 hours" so I yelled at them, telling them that I've been TOLD to "wait 24 hours" for a WEEK, and they "fixed" it and got one of the phones to "work". Which of course meaning it wasn't working properly. I wouldn't receive calls or texts, and anything outgoing would be sporadic. I got tired of that, so I once again transferred my number back to my old, shattered phone and that worked a lot better.

More recently, I purchased a phone from THEIR WEBSITE. And I tried activating it online 5 times, and once over the phone and there was errors. So I tried again this morning, and it wasn't working. I called customer service this morning and was yet again told to wait 24 hours to call back! I don't know what the deal is activating a new phone to transfer your number with them, but it seems like a pattern that I don't want to deal with any longer.

I appreciate that it's a free phone, but that doesn't make it hassle free, I suppose. But the customer service is AWFUL and should do their JOB; what they are paid to do like everyone else! So honestly, if you are looking to bring your own phone, you should probably steer clear and try to find another free phone service because they only seemed to go downhill from what they originally were. I will be returning my phone and cancelling service through them, myself.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Short story. I was with Safelink for four years. Then, for the first time ever, I added extra data on a one time basis. That was on the 17th of August. A few minutes after that, they cancelled my service without notification. My service ended on Sept. 1st but they are still billing the government for my September phone time. FRAUDULENT COMPANY. I've talked to twenty people since. First, they said I would have service renewed with a couple of hours....then a couple of days....finally they said my only option was to purchase time with Straight Talk, their other company or start all over by applying for a free phone.

Their final reason for cancelling my service was that I had moved. I never moved and live in government housing so the government confirms my address monthly. I am on on full ssdi. They are preying on the elderly and disabled by cancelling their service and making them believe they must use their credit cards to buy time from Straight Talk. Ironically, I have had to purchase this ripoff phone TIME in order to renew my service with another company and report them to the government.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

In July, I applied for free wireless service & free cellphone with Safelink Wireless. Shortly thereafter, I was approved and awaited my new cellphone to have it activated only I didn't receive a cellphone, I received a Sim Card to activate in my own cellphone for their BYOP (bring your own phone) program which I did not request. For a couple of days I tried getting in touch with Safelink by phone and by email to clear up any confusion.

Finally reaching a customer representative I went over the issue then gave her my account information telling me that I couldn't request a cellphone after having received a Sim card for their BYOP program and said Sim Card was already activated in my own phone. I asked her several times to check the information again and tell me when the Sim Card was activated, she became extremely rude saying "You know you had the card activated," so I asked several times to give me a phone brand and model that said Sim Card was activated in and the date. She just continued ranting and screaming at me as if she had a personal issue telling me the info I asked and so I ended the conversation by requesting the Sim Card be unactivated. I've had no contact with Safelink Wireless since.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I would suggest that no one ever use SafeLink wireless for your mobile service. They are not reliable, they have no good customer service, and they are not effective in resolving issues that you have with them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Review Safelink. These companies don't offer a free phone and minutes. They have to participate in the universal service fund. They need your name and they want your information. In 2018 I was a Safelink customer for a year. I got cancer so I purchased unlimited minutes and texts so I would have a reliable phone number. Safelink turned off the phone for 5 days. I didn't realize it until the 4th day. It took 2 more days to get the phone back on. Safelink still does not have an answer for why they did this. Being too sick to deal with anything at this point I went back to the monthly "free" plan. In December of 2018 I stopped receiving data. In February of 2019 I stopped receiving minutes and texts. After 4 days of calling I never got a straight answer. This is as close as I got.

Safelink says it deactivated the phone due to inactivity. 2 representatives said it was deactivated in June 2018 and 2 representatives said it was deactivated in August and/or September of 2018. I used that phone, the minutes and the texts on it every day as my sole phone number the entire time. So I went through the reactivation process where 7 representatives assured me repeatedly that I would just get a new phone in the mail until the 8th representative that said they need the verification to go through in 7 to 10 business days before they will think about troubleshooting the old phone. Then Safelink shut off my old phone while I wait 5 to 7 business days to arrive by the slowest mail they can afford. It's now been over 120 hours I've been with my phone number turned off!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I am on the $1,000 a month plan with SafeLink Wireless. I have purchase additional minutes. In September when SafeLink added my minutes to my phone, the additional minutes that I purchase also disappeared. When I call SafeLink Wireless to inquire about the minute that I purchased was gone, they told me to give them 24 hours to investigate the situation. I reach back out to them 24 hours later to see Kenny if they found a resolution to this problem. SafeLink told me the minutes that I purchased is gone and the time was up. I have purchased those minutes two weeks before the date when they added my minutes so how was they gone when I just purchased them. Do not purchase any additional minutes from this company. They are so thirsty and money hungry that they will not give you your minutes that you purchased. From this point on I will just use the minutes that they give me!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I have been dealing with them for almost a month trying to get my phone back on. Supposedly it was shut off because I needed to complete a review. I have done everything they have said and my phone is still off. Every time I call them I am told to do something different. Then supposedly it will be another 7 to 10 days. They need to learn better communication and customer service.

Safelink Wireless Company Information