1.09/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Safelink Wireless Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Don't ever get anything from them. Husband been on phone for 2 hours with Corporate trying to get my SIM card in my phone to work which came out of their phone. Can receive calls but not make calls. Been transferred to different departments and nobody can do nothing or don't want to. Very poor customer service. Then had the nerve to ask my husband if the service they provided him was satisfactory. They didn't do anything except give him the runaround. Then they hung up on him. That was very uncalled for. Very very unprofessional. Instead of our government shutting down they need to shut down and use that money from idiots that don't know how to do their job and use it to build the wall. Will never use their service again and I would advise anybody else not to use them. Non English speaking idiots.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Safelink. Most deplorable English speaking skills of any foreign customer service I have ever heard. Just like Straight Talk, they transfer you every few minutes. They will do it for hours. I ordered one of their phones. It arrived. The number on it to activate the phone does not work. It is no longer in service. Three hours on the phone with customer foreign service to find out that they sent me a phone that does not work in my area. WHY? They know where I live, WHY would they send me a phone that does not work? They said I'd have to buy my own. So I spend 100 bucks that I don't have on a refurb from their website. It is a blood pressure raising experience and not being able to understand what they are saying makes your head hurt.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I gave this company a great review a year ago, this time I'm very disappointed. I knew that my one year enrollment was coming up so I called them on Friday 1-4-19 to ask if the paperwork could be mailed to me. The first customer service agent even though I gave him my new address, didn't update my address, so the information would have been going to a dead address. I had a gut instinct about this and called back and the lady updated my information.

Two days later I must have spent over an hour wondering why my internet was working on the phone but I had no phone or text service whatsoever. I even called SafeLink Wireless and spoke to two different technicians and after a lot of time was spent on this it was concluded that my service had been shut off! When I asked the lady why she said, "You need to re enroll". This was in the process due to my 1-4-19 phone call to them. I'd been given no phone call, no text, or even a letter stating this. So now I will be left for probably one to three weeks without service due to their miscommunication. If anything why wasn't my service continued to at least my expiration date which is today funny enough being 1-9-19. Terrible customer service and awful communication!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My phone broke. Screen is cracked. Half of it doesn't work so I have to put it on rotation. I called my social security and they told me that I was eligible to have her free one no matter how many times my phone breaks. I've only gotten a replacement one other time. Only done it one time. Now I go to get a replacement because half of my screen does not work. They told me that they have to have to reset my phone, that I will need to call them from another line when I only have one available line to call them from the phone that I have with just a phone from them. So I run upstairs and ask my neighbor if I can use her Wi-Fi and her tablet so I can contact them so that they can do this after that then it turned into, "Oh so we can't give you a replacement. It says on the account that we can't give you a replacement." But they told me that they couldn't see anything on the account until after they reset the phone.

The cup customer representatives were horrible and very rude. Being as nice as I could and ask to speak to a superior, was not given to a supervisor. Was given to a manager and in the beginning of all these calls I told them that I was recording and they said it was fine. Then after I told her continuously that she was being recorded because she told me she was manager and she was not. I also have her name and identification representative number. These people are horrible and I would not recommend SafeLink. Yes it's nice that we can have a free phone through our government if we cannot afford it but not when SafeLink is using the government themselves.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Every time I have an issue with my phone it's always my data usage. I haven't been able to use my data in my home area for the past 3 days! I ride public transportation to work and waited until going to work to go online to see if there was an alert about an outage in my area. I couldn't log into my account due to duplicate entries found popping up on the screen. So I called to make sure everything was okay, that no one else was trying to use my information to get services.

Now I work at a call center I know how the steps go. 1> I call, enter my information. 2> They pick up the call, record the issue. Keyword: record. 3> If necessary, transfer to more help. Unfortunately, this isn't what happens. What happens is instead of them reading notations already made on my case I'm forced to repeat, several times, what the issue is. I spoke with Myron who transferred me to Ever? I suppose that her name because I asked her to repeat it and she wouldn't. She made me repeat the issue, which made me upset because notes are made on the call logs. When the call is transferred, the operator reads the notes, then ask if what they've read is correct.

My call was dropped. She attempted to call back but upon answering the call dropped again. So I called the number she called from back and Josie? (Again I don't know because she wouldn't repeat.) She had me on hold "troubleshooting" for 25 mins, (during which she asked me to hold the line every 15-20 secs which was very annoying) to tell me I need an alternate number for them to call me back on. I think that was the end of my rope because I've asked them to note each time I've called that I don't have any other number. I expressed that to the operator, telling her I was very frustrated that I have to keep repeating myself when I know notes are made, and, if I don't have an alternate number how does my phone get fixed? She couldn't provide an answer at which point I asked for a supervisor. That's when several key presses were made in my ear and she hung up on me, I work in a call center. I know she hung up on me.

So I called back. I asked the male operator that answered the phone to transfer me to a supervisor. The supervisor Sherbert or Sherman, asked how can he help me. I said, verbatim, "I'm going to tell you my issue, then I'm going to tell you my complaint. I called to check for internet outages in my home area. The last operator had me on hold for 25 mins to tell me she couldn't help me unless I had an alternate number. I told her I have no alternate number, & I have say that every time I call in. So how does my phone get fixed if I have no alternate number? When she couldn't provide an answer I asked to speak to a supervisor, not to complain about her service but to get an answer because she didn't have the knowledge or the skill to assist me." OMG. It was here the "supervisor" said, "How can I help you?" AGAIN??!

I replied, "No, that's not how it works. I tell you what's wrong, you tell me how to fix it. That's how it works, right?" He replied, "Right. If you just tell me what the problem is. I hear your complaint on the other worker"??? "I just told you when you answered: I'm going to tell you what's wrong, then tell you my complaint. I called checking if there was an outage in my home area. Then I complained." Sherbert/Sherman asked me again how can he help me and it was at that point I lost my cool and told him I'm tired of repeating myself!!

SafeLink is JANKY with customer service. Good prices though. I think this company is lacking on customer service and if it wasn't a free service their representatives would've put them out of business by now. I get paid Friday, Jan. 7th and my brother told me T-Mobile has great deals in January. If you can afford to, I suggest you switch. I am! That will be my last call to SafeLink. I'll just play my games on the phone that calls people whenever & doesn't let me receive calls/texts from time to time. Won't have to worry about if I'll have internet services or repeating my issue with the service over & over because no one reads case notes, if they're making any at all. I won't have to ask someone to repeat themselves because I can't understand their accent due to no one having good English anytime I've called. I'm done! Goodbye SafeLink Janky Wireless!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have a phone that makes me delete VMs 2-3 times; music that randomly assigns different artist's names to my songs; and most importantly, calls whatever number it wants, no matter what number I entered. Tech support is a joke with these folk. Obviously listening for keywords and reading from a script. Looking for a different carrier with phones that work - even if it's a flip phone, as long as it ain't Safelink.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I had no problem signing up for Safelink. I filled out the forms online for bring your own phone. I was pre-approved in August 2017 and sent my sim card within a month. At first I didn't notice any problems...then everyone kept saying why don't I ever answer or call them back. I started telling people to text or leave a message if they called me and you would be surprised how many times calls NEVER come through. Majority of calls don't but I chose to stay because it was free and only $45 after that to get a unlimited plan. I had no problem re-certifying either. They sent paperwork in the mail, I filled it out and sent it back and never heard from them again.

After over a year of service September 2017-November 2018 I text someone one day and they said "Who is this?" Long story short my number was changed without my permission and I wasn't even notified of the change. So after 3 calls and 2.5 hours on the phone with customer service they swear that I never had a different number to begin with and questioned where I even came up with the other number I originally had. I couldn't get it changed back to the original # I had with them because they claim that # was not even owned by their company since July 2017! I was extremely disappointed because it didn't make sense.

I had a whole different number for over a year that they told me I didn't have and couldn't get back. I had to give out my new # and update all my accounts (bills, kids schools, doctors, etc). Since this happened I can't send or receive pictures and I can't buy an unlimited top up plan. Every time I try it says my phone is not eligible for unlimited plans. I'm very dissatisfied and will be soon signing up for service with a real wireless company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I like Safelink Wireless, I like the $ 15.00 unlimited plan, but like with every cellphone you still have issues, but overall I truly think they are the best deal around, cause they are always there in a pinch, just don't use all of your free mins...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My girlfriend said she was going to stay at her girlfriend's house to sit as her girlfriend's dad was sick, out of state. I let her take it, so I knew she was safe... But instead she took my phone to Arizona, so I called Safelink to have it shut off. She quickly sent the phone back in the mail before Christmas. Called back Safelink to let them know, I got my phone back and after talking to someone I couldn't understand, I was passed 4 more time when they, Safelink said I had no more minutes left. Then I was told I was blackballed for 72 hours on December 21 2018.

Went and purchased a TracFone minute card 750 min for $54.00, tried to activate my phone, next I find out TracFone can't, because Safelink blackballed me again 4-72 more hours, TracFone has my money a Safelink has hostage of my phone… Christmas alone with no PHONE. The Government needs to build a wall around Safelink and start over line. I'm mostly deaf and it's so hard to talk to someone in the Philippines, TKS for reading. Oh PS still no working phone 12/26/18.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Had applied for Safelink Wireless and was approved in August and chose the option to use an existing LG TracFone. They sent me a SIM card which did not work with my phone, and they had to transfer the minutes and data manually to my phone. Then a month later, I get a letter saying I had not used the phone even though I did. I called again and they said my phone wasn't "attached" to my account, so I gave them the SIM card number and the IMEI number and they attached it, and things were OK until this month, when all of a sudden I can't get any data. I keep track of the usage so I wasn't over the limit, and I gave them a call again. The man I spoke with was very curt and said my account had been "de-enrolled" and I kept asking him why...he wouldn't answer. Had to ask for a supervisor, who said my account was de-activated for non-usage.

I told him I used my phone almost every day. And yes I made sure to make at least one phone call every 30 days. He then told me there was a glitch on their end but since my account was deleted I will have to enroll all over again! They never called, or sent me a letter, just cut me off without notice. They screwed up & won't fix it. The weird thing is I can still make phone calls, but I cannot get any data. This company seems to be very poorly run and organized, the call center seems to be in another Country as well. I had a terrible experience with Assurance Wireless and unfortunately it is no better with Safelink. It seems they don't want you to use an LG TracFone and instead be forced to use the free phone they send you, which like the one Assurance sent me, would not work. It is an outrage that low income folks as myself are taken advantage by these "free" services that are pretty much impossible to use.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

When you have to re-certify it is an unbelievable nightmare. I could not hear the machine generated questions half of the time, and my goodness, I had to answer the same type of question over and over, again, with the questions being blurggled. Just note: answer yes to all, even if you can't hear it. If someone were getting this service and has anxiety or a history of panic attacks, I suggest asking a family member with patience to do it for you. OMG!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

After 3 months of interminable runarounds trying to get a phone from Safelink Wireless, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was routed to Rhea. WHO GAVE ME MORE RUNAROUND. In a nutshell, I live at a valid and specific address and have a valid Texas Drivers License showing that address. In Safelink's crazy rules, a valid Texas Driver's License does not prove a valid address. Texas Department of Public Safety is one of the nation's strictest licensing agencies. What Safelink is doing in my opinion is taking tax dollars to administer a government program, pocketing the money, and failing or refusing to issue the phones. Don't waste your time. Safelink is a scam.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My son receives Medicaid and got a letter in the mail about getting a free phone. I call to sign up and have now talked to 6 different customer service representatives. NO ONE can help me. According to past records, there was an account created in my name. Sent a phone to a different address and is still active. I DON'T HAVE A PHONE! All the customer service rep said she could do was cancel my account, and I need to wait one year to create a new one, or buy a phone. Your company is a joke and so are your employees.

Safelink does not care about their customers as they are dealing with low income people and they don't receive a lot of money. Your customer service reps are pathetic, cannot speak English (which makes no sense to hit 1 for English if your reps don't speak it too!). 2 of the representatives that I spoke with today are: Alvin, employee ID: **. Alvin claims there is nothing else that can be done and cannot transfer me to anyone else. Ivy, employee ID: **. According to Ivy who was the first rep I spoke with on that call, has no boss and there is no one else to help me. Why hire customer service representatives that don't represent customers?!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Wish I could give 0 stars. What a nightmare! I applied for lifeline service in October, submitted my documents through the website. Nothing happened. My account kept showing that I needed to submit document. I called them about it and they said my application was still processing and to check it in 36 hours. I did. Still pending. Finally after a month the website showed my documents were accepted. The website still said pending. Called again and they said the same thing. Wait. I waited. I called them a month later and they said they were waiting for my documents. I told them I had already sent that information and that the website showed they had already been accepted and they said, "Oh sorry our mistake. Wait 36 hours." I did, Still pending. I called them back and they said I needed to call California Lifeline as they were waiting for them to approve my application.

Finally in December I called California Lifeline and they said they had no record of any request from Safelink for Lifeline. I called Safelink back and requested a supervisor and this took me 4 times before they got me to the right person. He said would approved my application manually and send it over to California Lifeline. I asked about bringing in my own phone (for the umpteenth time) and he said he would request a sim card for me. Great. I told him I was going to be out of town and could it be sent to a different address and he said yes. I didn't have the address handy so he put in a request for a callback and said someone would call me back in 15 minutes. I waited an hour, no one called me back so I called them back and went through another 5 people before I got to the right dept.

When I told that supervisor that I was calling to give them my shipping address for the sim card they told me that was impossible. No changes could be made. I asked why the other supervisor said they could do that and she said she didn't know why I was given that information. She said my application was still pending. When I explained that the other supervisor had approved my application manually she said that was impossible. And that I was going to have to call Calif Lifeline and have them send me an application by mail. I asked why when I had already applied through the website. I finally told her I wanted to cancel my application with them she said just do it on the website. Had to call back again to cancel application with them because there is no place to cancel an application on the website, only service.

Finally I got my application canceled and after 3 month of waiting with no service, I am having to choose another provider because there is no way to get this application approved through them with it being stuck in cycle and no one knowing what to do about it. And I would rather eat dog poop than deal with this company ever again. No one speaks English and many things are lost in translation. Find a different provider if you don't want to be pulling your hair out and cussing a lot.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've read a lot of reviews on here about Safelink service. All of them were complaining about either not getting their phones, having problems with the service. Couldn't get recertified or their phone getting shut off. I can honestly say I've never had any of these problems. I've had Safelink service since 2011. I applied online. About a month later got my free cell phone. It was a basic little straight flat cell phone. I was happy. Never got anything free before. Was very glad that I could get one since I lost my job and didn't have money to buy one. I never had a problem with the phone or the service. I got a little flip phone for my birthday and had Safelink switched to it. Not a problem at all. I called TracFone since that's Safelink's service. All I had to do was give the lady the numbers out of the old cell and the numbers to the new cell.

Everything went fine no problems. After about a yr I got a smartphone from Family Dollar on sale for $20. I called again and got everything switched over to the smartphone. No problems then either. Each time the same cell number got switched over to new cell. This is 11-28-2018 and I still have the same $20 smartphone with the same number. I had to call customer service once when I didn't get my mins. This was in the first yr of service. You have to leave your phone on for the first few days of the month to get your mins. I forgot and had it off so my mins didn't get added with the phone off. I called was told to turn the phone on and mins would be added. Few mins later I got the new mins. Few times I got a text to make at least one call a month which I wasn't. I now do and don't get the text anymore. The only time I get any text from Safelink is when it's time to recertify.

I also get a letter to tell me too. I go online and do the recertification and have no problems. The only problem I've had with Safelink when calling is understanding some of their English. Everyone I've talked to has been very helpful and nice. I have not called Safelink since switching my last phone 5 yrs ago. I can't say how customer service is now but I've never had a problem with them. I'm sorry everyone else is having all the problems with them. Hopefully I don't start having them. If I could give Safelink a 10 I would have. Hopefully I keep getting the great service that I have.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The other reviews I read here are accurate. I wonder why this company thrives since the services it purports to give do not seem to exist. This is a phone for my son. Multiple calls, multiple dead ends. Even when I was told the problem was found in billing and that it would be changed, there were no minutes. When I asked a helper to stay on the phone while I went on the website to see if what she said worked, she said no, she got off the phone.

In August we were accepted with an enrollment ID expiring in Mar 2019. In November we did another application, were accepted, given another enrollment ID and told minutes will start December 1. No minutes appeared. We are told they will appear tomorrow December 2 but would be very surprised if this was the case. Even if we get them, after reading these reviews, I would expect the minutes to just stop the next month or so --- even with an expiration date of a year from now. Safelink does not seem to care about acceptance in the program and expiration dates. The stock answer when we have had problems is to re-apply. (We are on a 3rd application in 5 months --- 2 were acceptances.)

My son called separately from me on December 1 and was told he needed to do another application. So he went to the library and proceeded to start all over again today. This company works with TracFone which takes my money if Safelink doesn't come through for my son. We paid for 2 months to TracFone waiting for Safelink to come through. It doesn't seem at this time that Safelink provides anything for the application work. Although TracFone is very helpful when I pay them,

we don't need Safelink to get TracFone minutes. So what is the purpose of Safelink? Maybe Safelink is a scam to get information from the low income people. Or to get government funding? I am curious as to what Safelink sees as its mission.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

No Minutes Coming to Phone: Two months now! I have called technical support and they told me I received these minutes when I have not? I keep account of every minute and write down my minutes! Why are they lying at SafeLink and telling me I received these minutes when I clearly have not?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

When they have no need for consumer report they're ok... It's just that they screw up sooo often. Perhaps hiring American workers that speak English well might help... and really training the staff. My last occurrence took a week to transfer my number from one Safelink phone to another Safelink phone. During that time they were reading status notes from a year ago and they deactivated me twice for no reason!!! Very frustrating and yet the cities and govt. don't seem to care they have such poor performance.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was extremely grateful to TracFone -- at first -- for participating in this program. But...you really need a self-paid phone while you are hoping they make your account work correctly (if they ever do). If you are in an area where there are a lot of Sprint Towers, I urge you to consider alternative providers in the lifeline program who are said to be excellent. But I am not in such an area.

For starters, I applied for the free phone but was sent a Sim. I knew this is what they would send, because that's what it said they were sending at Safelink.com so I called to hopefully correct this error -- except customer service said no, absolutely, they were 100% sending a phone. The reps seem very nice, but sadly, they're just winging it, saying whatever you want to hear.

Well. The Sim card (no phone) arrived. And, they assigned me to T-Mobile, which doesn't work inside my house. So I put the sim into an old unlocked ATT phone with a broken USB port, drove around until I had bars, and activated it. With a bit of playing around with the APN settings, I was able to make it work. At which point, I stuck it into a 4G router which has a port for a landline phone. The router has antennae -- two of them -- and no bars turned into three bars. I plugged a landline in, made a call and was absolutely thrilled, to the point where I bought a $40 unlimited plan from Safelink / TracFone.

Please note that before I did this, I called TracFone/Safelink to ensure that putting the Sim into a router did not violate their terms of service. They claimed it did not. I also asked at what point do they de-prioritize (meaning how much data can you use before they slow you down to the trickle). They assured me that this does not happen, at any point. No de-prioritization. No Throttling.

The tech support guy seemed leagues better informed than the regular customer service reps, so I explained that I didn't have a phone because they never sent it and that I needed a Sim that was compatible with ATT towers. He cancelled my application, submitted a new application and I am still waiting 10 days later to receive anything at all. I only bought the $40 plan because he told me that paid plans do not deactivate if you have paid cash for additional data. I asked him if he was absolutely, positively sure and he said yes.

I have no other internet connection; I reasoned that I could use my $40 Safelink card either until it expired, or until I could transfer the unlimited minutes/data to the new card that I thought would surely arrive. NOT. Everything stopped working. I called Safelink yesterday to confirm that I was inputting the correct APN values. Waste of time. The APN values vary from carrier to carrier. The tech support rep gave me the wrong values. Even when I removed the Sim card from the router and put it into my unlocked ATT GoPhone, the values she gave me provided no connection. Whereas if I texted 611611 to get an auto-update of these values, entirely different info was entered and the phone worked. (But of course, I can't connect when I am in my house and since I am disabled, the sim is useless, unless I can use it in a device with antennae that receive a consistent signal.)

Honestly, I was excited about $40 for unlimited data that isn't throttled (the least expensive competitor is probably Net Buddy, at $60) but it's actually a $40 no-data plan. I am very poor indeed, but this program does not make sense for those who truly need a "Lifeline." There are companies like Mint Sim and Red Pocket who are cheap to start with and cheaper on eBay and Amazon -- we're talking a few dollars a month. Honestly, I don't mind if a rep says to me, "You can't do that, it's against our TOS," but to advise me to buy a $40 upgrade that I cannot afford, assuring me it will remain 'live' when they really have no clue what they're talking about, is a rip-off.

Seriously. I actually told their reps that they were just making stuff up and they didn't take offense because it's inarguable that is what they are doing. The government is giving TracFone money for this, and I gave them $40 over and above. If you're going to try Safelink, do yourself a favor and get a used phone off eBay to use with Mint Sim or Red Pocket in the meantime. Because you do not want to rely on this company as a 'lifeline.'

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My phone stopped working while I was talking. I can only text. The overseas reps are horrible. They hang up on you. They now want me to pay for minutes. This is supposed to be a free service. The phone is clearly defective. They are the worst people in history.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm quite an experienced person using different prepaid plans and other LifeLine providers service, I guess you could say I've tested several other LifeLine plans with other carriers/MVNO and I always go back to SafeLink. I never can understand how there are so many negative reviews on here. Before I started using the Truly Unlimited plan in 2017 I was paying $65 a month for Cricket's so called truly unlimited plan. I would get throttled regardless of data consumption, and all regular HTTP (not https) traffic would be proxied and compressed on Cricket's end of the network without any way to use HTTP data/websites in RAW form with things like curl/wget etc in a Linux or Android OS. They also consider large amounts a data usage to be in violation of 'hotspot/tethering terms'. Eventually Cricket discontinued my service even having paid 2 months in advanced without refunding my money.

This review is not about Cricket I know, but I want to throw that out there for a comparison point as Cricket is even until this day the only unlimited data plan you can get prepaid for a reasonable amount, but those things I listed above are very critical. With SafeLink Truly Unlimited I have to say my overall experience could not be better. I get true Verizon LTE speeds of 20-60 mbps regardless of the amount of data I've consumed. I typically use between 200-300 GB a month because we have no option for cable TV, DSL, cable internet, etc in the rural area we live. For $43.95 (total after tax/fees) I get better speeds than the people who live in areas that receive high speed cable. We use our SafeLink plan to stream our TV all day long with no interruptions. I don't get messages halfway through the month about exceeding a threshold, or warning messages about a hotspot/tethering violation.

With all that said an even better thing I have to say is that SafeLink will allow you to purchase a CDMA TracFone and use a Verizon sim if you happen to live in an area where Verizon has coverage, but in a zip code where you can't apply. For example I Live on the KY/TN state line and in this zip code we have Bluegrass Cellular coverage but it comes from a Verizon owned tower located on the state line. I can't get any good reception with AT&T or any at all with T-Mobile.

What I did was went to the Dollar General a mile down the road but in TN and purchased a TracFone for Verizon's network. I called and explained my situation about service in my area to SafeLink support. Without issue they asked for my sim card # on the new device as well as the IMEI, and they transferred my LifeLine to it without issue. I did have to get a new phone number because I was originally issued a KY AT&T number and it would not port instantly to Verizon without a delay. This was no big deal as I could not use the AT&T number anyway.

I was hesitant at first to put a truly unlimited plan on my account due to the situation I outlined in the previous paragraph, but after my Cricket plan was terminated unexpectedly, I didn't have much reason to not give it a try. Thankfully it worked well, and has continued to for over a year now. Having full Verizon network capabilities and speeds without any restrictions on data usage is very nice for us people who live in a rural area right on a state line. I will say that 1x/3G roaming does not work on Verizon where I live, but you can set a lot of phones to use VoLTE and set the connection mode to LTE only, and in those cases where LTE signal isn't as strong as 3G you will still have data/voice/text which is virtually everywhere I've been.

There is no other network that has as broad of coverage as Verizon's network. When you pair SafeLink + Verizon + Truly Unlimited plan, you will have by far the best cellular coverage and capabilities of any carrier out there. With all that said you will have to actually live in an area that has full Verizon coverage and not in an 'extended' coverage area. 98% of the USA that has any cellular coverage at all also has full Verizon coverage as well.

With this experience I've had and I've used both SafeLink with AT&T and Verizon, SafeLink itself cannot be beat by any LifeLine program, or even any prepaid/contract provider plan. It's better than any plan you can possibly find. AT&T Truly unlimited plan works the same as Verizon's but the speeds on the network is what really makes the two as different as day and night. With AT&T in a good coverage area on Truly Unlimited I could get around 12-15mbps, but with Verizon it's usually 25+ at any given moment with it closer to 60 the majority of the time. All for less than $45 a month. I just hope this doesn't change because it's a life saver for people in rural areas that have no alternative to tethering their phone for Internet access. If someone can find something that could be improved with SafeLink, I'd sure be interested in knowing. It's the best LifeLine program without a doubt by far!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Well I'd been with 1 1/2 yrs then they started screwing up everything by putting me down as a disabled veteran so I would have to recertify when I wasn't a veteran and they sent me numerous texts to do this and I went through this for about 5 months and in Sep. I called and the supervisor then said that she would send me new paperwork but never sent it. She just cancelled my service and the company refused to help me with the problem unless I signed up again. So if I were you I'd stay as far away from this company as I can because they're about as bad as it gets. You can't understand the people because they can't speak English. THE COMPANY SUCKS AND IS WORTHLESS!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safelink suddenly discontinued my service without notifying me. Can you imagine if I would have had an emergency and didn't know they discontinued my service! I had changed my phone number several times so Safelink accused me of having multiple phones in my household when I only had one phone but changed the number and I live alone! In the meantime, someone I know has a Safelink phone that he's not qualified for because he has a full-time job at CVS and his own lawn service cleaning business! I reported it to Safelink and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. So unfair!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Unless you know everything there is to know about cells stay clear from using your own phone. They (X4) give misinformation, in my case I have to buy parts to make it work. They don't back their salespeople, and they don't make their mistakes good to the customer. They are extremely nice, but totally worthless. They will not take their sim cards back even though they were the ones who told you what you needed, and blew it twice, so will not send the free phone you should have stuck with in the first place as they repeat over and over (from their Co. list of what to say) that you ordered it (leaving out the part that they told you to), so they have done what they were to do. They understand your anger, but this is all they can do. Anyone know who you can contact for all this injustice? "I have no "personal or business relationship" with this organization?" Well of course I do, or I wouldn't be writing!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The worst problem I have with them is that they keep sending me emails to use my phone. I am using my phone! They will say there is a requirement to make one phone call or send one text message monthly as though I am not doing that. I am on the phone much more than that. Clearly they are tracking what you are doing on your personal phone, though they aren't tracking it well, but it feels like an invasion to know they are monitoring my phone usage. If they are doing that, who is to say they are not listening in or reading your text messages? Scary!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I signed up for Safelink in Sept 2017. I received my phone and service within a week of my first application. In March, I bought a new phone because the ZTE POS they sent me was overheating constantly and was basically unusable. Service transferred over to the new phone, no problem. I was the happiest customer you could imagine until October 16 of this year, when my phone service randomly stopped.

Oh, it must be that I need to recertify. Okay! I went online and did that. Still no service. So I called customer support. On my fifth try I actually got through to a live person. He told me there was a problem with the system, he left me "on hold" (basically he just set the phone down and I could hear loud chit-chatting and a TV in the background), but he did get my phone working again, so I was happy enough. Then today, 2 days later, no service again. I called again. This time I got a tremendously rude agent who yelled into the phone and spoke too fast to understand. He got my phone working again, but now when I look at the Tracfone app, it tells me my service will end on 10-20-18. That's tomorrow. Will I lose service again? I guess we'll see! The fun never ends!

I suppose it was my own naivete that caused me to live chat with a Tracfone agent, who could tell me that I have service with them but couldn't figure out why my service kept going out. She said something about how I needed to "update my profile". I'm on SNAP and Medicaid, I'm low income, I certainly qualify for this service, but at this rate I'm about ready to give up.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

This is my second time trying to get a low income telephone. I had absolutely no problems with Assurance Wireless while living in Florida, but the cell phones they give out really suck. I've now been trying to obtain service with Safelink Wireless in Texas since September 1st, it's now October 19th, and I'm still stuck with them saying that they can't verify my benefits. The first time around, they rejected my address, utility, and benefits uploads, I resubmitted them all, the second time the address and utility bill were accepted, but they still won't accept my benefits cards despite the fact that my Medicaid card has my name on it. This is a piss poor company and I regret the hell out of going with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Just terrible. Very rude and do not care. I wouldn't recommend them to a homeless man. Every single time I have to contact them is truly a bad experience. Not every other time but EVERY time! I worked in customer service for years on the phones and still do. There's no way this is even real!!! Reps, Sups, and even the darn Techs are so unprofessional. I'm starting to think it's a SCAM! It's sad and suppose to be providing something to the people to help. Definitely false advertising and my phone still doesn't work properly. With all the complaints, the whole company doesn't care at this point or who let represent them. It's still going on. Just hung up with them and got almost the worst ever experience with them ever. Which encouraged me to leave this review. Just terrible!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The problem with Safelink is that they outsource to foreign countries (Philippines, India, etc) without providing them with the proper training to assist Safelink customers. Whenever I call, I can never speak to a US-based customer service. Each question that I asked, I am giving different answers. When asked to speak to a supervisor, no one is available. I have filed a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission regarding Safelink. This company need to be investigated, fined or sanction. There are too many complaints!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have given them ID card pictures, social security card pictures, food stamp pictures, and letter of residency pictures and keep getting told I need to provide more info from food stamps, and proof of address. I call they say whatever they want to cover the butts when catching them in a lie. Also each rep will tell you something different. It's a scam and they have all my info. Been waiting since 09/15/2018. I've spent HOURS on phone with them. They don't know what they are doing.

Safelink Wireless Company Information