3.8/5 (286 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: April 28, 2022

I had them using Verizon towers. BAD data connection. 10 calls to their cus svc & 6 hrs on hold, they switched me to T-mobile towers. 2 wks later, they SHUT OFF my account AND cut off my Lifeline eligibility. They can do both if they want, according to a Lifeline agent. I talked to 4 different agents, each had a different reason for this, none of them had to do with me. I had NO warning. They tried to turn it around like it was MY fault..They sent this strange auto-text from "Net10"(?) telling me to add money to my account. This coming from the top manager of Safelink's Lifeline dept...telling me this was my "warning" to call them. He didn't listen to anything I said. I asked him, "What is Net10? And why would I pay money when I've had free cell service for 6 years now?"

So now I had to pay $21, their cheapest plan, to keep my phone # running. Now I have to start over, as if I were a brand new customer, and wait about 3 weeks to get my Lifeline phone service approved again. I'm still confused and in shock on why this happened. Also..the actual gov't. Lifeline agent said "It's not just you, I've already dealt with TEN customers like you today!!!!" That was on a random Tuesday morning.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Trying to re-establish my 93 year old mother with a Safelink phone after she was cut off her previous account when she went into the nursing home. The website is impossible to navigate and offers little help. Chat can't get a live person. Calling and going through an impossible series of options that do address your concerns then waiting for hours for a semi-english-speaking person to answer just to get rote answers about nothing. (***Press '0' over and over until a semi-alive person picks up.) Never even addressing the issue.

Having to tell them over and over that the phone hasn't arrived in 2 weeks. She kept saying "it takes 7-10 days" to get the phone. I asked her when the account was confirmed and she gave me a date for next month. Really? She kept asking for the phone number. I told her repeatedly that "I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE PHONE YET!" And she'd asked for the phone number 2 more times again. When I asked to speak to a manager, she placed me on hold and hung up. What a rip off of government funds. So the process starts over

Original review: April 17, 2022

FAKE SCAM CELL COMPANY. Scamming the American taxpayers giving out broken "Obama phones" with No support Email. No support Chat. You can only call, but when your phone breaks (and trust me, it will soon if it hasn't already), you cannot reach even using *611 or 611 or any other of those numbers. I finally was able to call them, and the rep just lied to me. Said they would send me an air bill in an email (about 15 times during the very long drawn out support call). I said I would wait for it to arrive. The guy assured me I didn't need to stay on the line and the email would be arriving shortly. Email never came. Can't call them. Can't email them. Can't chat with them. Even if I can call again, they will just lie again.

This is typical of all these fraudulent wireless companies that are providing "Obama phones" at taxpayer expense. They are charging American taxpayer like $500 a phone and $100/mo for service when the phone is worth less than 10 bucks and breaks within a month if it's not broken when you receive it. Service is trash, even when the phone works. Total Scam. These people should be in jail.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I decided to get the government help on a phone that would cost me nothing every month. Ha ha ha ha ha! 1st. I could never sign into app or .com to see how many minutes, text, ETC... Then when I called to add a plan they said mine didn't come with one and over experiencing tech issues. "Follow this hundred item list and links, turn phone on and off, did this so many times. Finally on 5th call I get someone who talks and said for $125 a month I still won't get unlimited minutes!! Told her for $35 with T-Mobile I get unlimited.

I do not want your service. TAKE ME OFF YOUR SAFELINK UNDEPENDABLE UNAFFORDABLE PLAN? KILL THE NUMBER CAUSE SIM CARD IS GOING IN TRASH!! After spending 5hrs today on phone it might be done?? Bad service, reps that hang up on you, rude, ask impossible questions (my sim card number for my T-Mobile line I've had same SIM for 13yrs and why that SIM CARD?), And after begging them and getting nowhere this company sucks as a whole. DO NOT GET PHONE FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 8, 2022

First, I am one of many individuals who is in need of Soc. Sec. Disability Benefits, due to physical, (or other) incapabilities. Which means, I have financial limitations as well. I have been happy, that Safelink Wireless was giving me one less bill to pay. However, they have given me nothing but "The Runaround"! It took me ten days, ten different agents, & over $70. before they sent me a new phone. BUT, the SIM# is incompatible. OK! So now, It has, as of yesterday, taken me another two weeks, for another agent to send me a new SIM card that is compatible, for my area.

This morning, in a UPS package, I received my new SIM card. YAY! Uh-OH-, I spoke too soon. I called Safelink to Activate. Well my old phone number is in there, but I still can't use it. Now, I cannot get through to any agent at all to really Activate my phone. All I am getting is recordings. I need someone to answer me, Because, IT'S STILL NOT ACTIVATED! I thought this was an American Government Phone and Service. Is It? I don't know, given that I am always speaking to people of foreign nations.

Original review: April 3, 2022

The people there are incompetent. I got a SIMs card in the mail, had my number passport it onto that SIMs card. It took several calls and several people before I found the right person who knew what they were doing. After a month of having their service all of a sudden the SIM card did not work. I called and called and called and it took more than six calls before I got the right person again who finally told me that they were going to send me a new SIMs card. I got the new Sims card and had lots of trouble trying to get my service activated. The one lady told me to turn my phone off and turn it on after 24 hours they have terrible customer service skills and their phone service is just as bad. I would never recommend anybody to go to SafeLink.

Original review: April 1, 2022

First of all, their reps are paid actors who pretend not to speak any English. They get kickbacks by the government for releasing sensitive information about you via your cell. I qualified for the ACP program, with the unlimited talk and text. It's been three months now and they still have not given me my benefits. When I call they just tell me to turn off and back on the phone, and instead of giving me my free minutes, they charge me 10 dollars per G, when the other Safelink customers can purchase 40 g of data for 39 dollars. I tried to purchase those plans and Safelink stole 180 dollars from me, and still would not give me my data. This place is a joke. I am starting a class action lawsuit if anyone would like to join up. I'm gonna put them out of business. They are a complete joke. They lie, they cheat, and they steal.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I recently received a notice from CA Lifeline telling me that I am certified and do not need to re-certify until some time in 2023. Today I tried to make a call with my Safelink account and was informed I have no service. I checked online and they say I've been cancelled. Safelink has no customer service, NONE. Maybe I'll pay $15/month and get Mint.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I signed up for Safelink on the recommendation of my medical social worker. After a week, I received a free mobile phone that's the size of a pool table, and is so full of junk that it's very difficult to use. That's the GOOD part. I had difficulty setting up service, called customer service seven times before I got a human. He couldn't confirm my account regardless of what company-generated information I gave him. He finally told me 'the system is broken', and referred me to another department for which there was a >30 min hold time. The next day I tried again, never got to a person. I also tried their 611611 text option, and was put on hold!

However, that morning I received a text message saying my voicemail (which I never set up) password had been changed - but didn't say to what. I also got a text saying I now have 1000 minutes/month (not unlimited as promised), but when I 'check balance', everything is zero - 0 text minutes, 0 call minutes, 0 data minutes remaining. I actually haven't used the phone at all. Two weeks after receiving the phone, I still can't use it and can't reach the company.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I dont know how this company stays afloat. If you have Safelink you had better have yourself another phone as well. They have turned my phone off unexpectedly I think 3 times in the last year. I have spent over 6 hours and numerous calls, waited a month to receive a sim card, I can't update any of my apps and have talked to numerous people giving them each my sim number, home address as well as be texted 3 different times and had to give them code...hours and hours and I still have no hot spot. It's absolutely amazing to me how despicable this company is. They have charged me $10 a gig when it should be free. I call safelink and the send me to Net 10 that wants my money to pay for data. They fail to add free govt hours to my phone. It's become a game to me, you just can't believe how poor this disgusting co really is. Whoever the CEO is, they must be a complete looney tune, it starts at the top.

The FCC or PUC should shut this place down and put the whole lot of the higher ups in this company in prison. They are well aware that they are charging people for a free Obama phone and service. They are well aware the service they provide is so bad, Tracfone, net 10, safelink they're all slumlords that suck out govt funds from these phones, and laugh at us, all the way to the bank. I only had 1 rude encounter from net10, they're awful, Tracfone, net10, safelink are the 3 stooges of the cell world.

They should be ashamed of the problems they are causing innocent victims of their shady poor equipped agents and customers, I've found the agents, mostly in the Philippines are kind and gentle, I try to be patient with them, safelink throws its own people under the bus daily. I don't think there are any stupidvisors at safelink, just sheep. Don't be too harsh on the Filipinos, they're the most hospitable folks on the earth. Safelink hosts throws to the wolves. You haven't lived till you own a safelink phone it's so bad, it's unbelievable.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I call SafeLink to get my monthly minutes, And they ask me for a credit card are a Debit card. And I told them that I supposed to give a free minute every month from the government. And they said that I couldn't get it. I think someone is scamming me to make me use my debit card my credit card. Because when you get a SafeLink phone from the government it's called they automatically have your minutes on it

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Safelink Wireless received, processed, and approved my application for Lifeline and ACP. They also indicated they will send me a phone. After not receiving a phone for 2 weeks, I reached out to their customer service and got rude foreigners who don’t speak English. After several calls and attempts, I was finally told that they had sent me a phone several years ago. I informed them I had no idea what they were talking about as I have never had a Safelink or Lifeline account before; I haven’t met income eligibility requirements for Lifeline or ACP since my second year in college - I would never have been approved even had I applied! I’ve been a victim of identity theft since 2012 and it seems to never end. They continued to argue with me and when I asked for a supervisor, they hung up on me. This occurred at least 6 times that I called.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I purchased a new phone off of the Safelink website March 2021 for $69. In August the phone quit working. I called Safelink and was transferred to TracFone. They agreed to replace the phone. I bought an LG phone on ATT network and I asked that they send the same. They sent 4 phones. None were the correct brand (cheaper phones were sent) or the correct network. I told them repeatedly not to send Verizon as we get very bad reception. This was reiterated to them after each wrong phone was sent. Each return cost me a 44 mile round trip to the closest UPS store. They also told me they would refund money but they never would. I was also told by TracFone I must purchase an ATT SIM card from Wal-Mart to make the phone work. This was also a waste of money as it did not work.

I finally gave up and bought another phone off of the Safelink site. This one cost me $90 which I had to make payments on because I could not afford it. I bought the second phone on Sept. 23 2021. I finished paying it off in December. In January I was informed I must buy a new phone due to "network changes" by February. After hours on the phone with TracFone they finally sent a replacement phone - AGAIN on Verizon network which we get zero reception where we live. Again - HOURS ON THE PHONE with no resolution other than be told to BUY ANOTHER PHONE. I was also told to buy another SIM card from them to make the new phone work. It didn't and I again wasted my money.

I asked for a refund for the last phone so I could just buy the correct phone on the correct network and was told they would NOT REFUND because someone at TracFone had put in the wrong IMEI number for the phone. I did not put in the wrong number. I couldn't if I wanted to. Yet They refused to refund me the $90. I am stuck with a phone that gets barely 1 bar if any signal at all because I can't afford to buy another phone when I'm already into this for over $200 for two phones neither of which lasted more than 4 months and two useless SIM cards was told to purchase to fix the mess. I want my $90 refunded so I can get the right phone on the right network - which TracFone clearly cannot do no matter what.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I understand the phone service is free for eligible recipients, but I am cancelling it and purchasing a plan with another service. Safelink Wireless is completely useless. I had to call to upgrade because my phone was no longer compatible but there didn't have any free phones left, which was ok. I purchased a flip phone because that's all I wanted. When the phone arrived, I had to call them to have it activated. I called over 10 times and was placed on hold by people that I did not understand and they had no idea what they were doing. They were switching me around to different departments and every time they did, the call would drop. I would have to call again and go through the whole ritual over and over again. After 10 times, I finally gave up and I still don't have a working phone with them that was activated. Save yourself the aggravation and buy minutes or get a plan on your own because this is the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Have received several emails stating I am required to upgrade to a VoLTE phone. Every phone they offer is out of stock. Parts of their website are broken, including their contact information. Not clear what if anything I can do.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Starting 3/4 into this year their phone support has been stellar. Why? Because they are almost entirely working from their homes and not having to rely on Safelink call center phones. Aside from a couple difficulty understanding (and speaking) English, they been solid with me. I had an agent last year at their call center keep telling me to go outside to get a better signal after I had repeatedly told her I was using a LANDLINE. After 45 minutes, I finally got a top supervisor on and she had to go outside their building to be able to get a clear signal! LOL We both had a chuckle about that. She was stellar at her job, too. But my main complaint is their web portals.

Want to buy a single, correct-sized sim card for your phone? The field where you enter your phone number never finishes submitting. Try ANY modern browser! If you begrudgingly decide you have to just buy their $10 sim kit, the site will repeatedly tell you that your email address doesn't exist. Want to look up your account using your phone number? It will tell you no such account exists. I've had them for years, so of course, my account exists. Their webmasters are completely incompetent. The site used to actually work better than this, a couple of years ago, that is. And don't EVER buy a phone directly from them. I had a phone fail after only 3 weeks. They immediately agreed to replace it. The shipping notice I received was for the exact same phone. What did I receive? An extremely basic USED TCL phone. I complained and they had no record of sending or selling me a phone!!! I just couldn't win.

Now I've gone through 5 other phones in 2021. Aside from the terrible phones they sell, I've had the craziest wet mishaps with 4 phones in the last 2 months, and one where it stopped communicating with the sim card slot. So I bought a Samsung S10+ that's waterproof. Turns out Safelink only accepts me using a Verizon sim card (not my favorite network) for this model. So I tried to buy one tonight and there is zero chance of this happening because my account supposedly doesn't exist. I can't call them either because I don't have access to any other phone currently. Unfortunately, the super nice chat support agent could not help me buy a sim card. They're just not able to access that function. Guess I won't be calling anyone during Christmas because I just won't have a working phone. If things don't improve soon, I'm switching services.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I had been using a BYOD iPhone until it broke. Bought a replacement phone, new sim card, get it all set up and have my benefits transferred. Sounds good, right? Wrong. They deactivated my account and forced me to reapply California Lifeline. This is going to put me out for a month. All this over using a different phone! I said forget it, told them to unlock my phone and I'll go to PagePlus. $80 a year is better than this aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

First of all before they say anything ask if this is Safelink Wireless because they will put you with a whole other company. Also one rep. deleted all my minutes and texts available. Simple fix right? Nooo. My phone number was down for 5 hrs. No calls no texts. These people are worthless garbage for real.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I've only had the phone for about a couple of months. The day I received the phone, every website that I was on started jumping all over the place. I would go onto messenger & it would throw me off and blackout. It would also randomly go to my friend's messenger and even go onto other things that I didn't even click on. It would start freaking out when I tried to use the voice messaging thing to spell out my words. It would even try to go onto eBay and click on things to add to my cart that I didn't click on. (Speaking of problems out of the phone, I just now had an episode with it. Starred drawing blue lines all over my keyboard like someone had their finger pressing down on the screen)

Also, on the day that I received the phone, I was told that I would receive unlimited everything including unlimited data. My phone is now sending me warnings that my data is about to run out. I've had some crappy ** phone services in my life, but I NEVER thought that I would EVER come across anything worse until I got with this company!!!! I don't plan on staying with this company very long. I'm waiting until I become more financially ahead and then I'm gonna give them the boot up the rear-end!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I bought a Safelink minute card as I needed more minutes. When my free minutes were put on safelink removed all my purchased safelink minutes. Why have safelink minute cards if the minutes will be removed. I'm done with safelink.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Safelink wireless is a very good service for low income people and or older people. You fill out an application once and once approved, then you get free minutes, texts and data every month. Once a year you will have to requalify to make sure you are still eligible. They are with Tracfone wireless and they are also very good.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Been with them for about 2 yrs. When with them last did lose phone. They replaced. Then did nothing with them for maybe 1 yr. Reapplied. Got service. Phone awful, told them that when they sent it to me and were setting it up. They didn't care. Unusable. Takes 1 minute + to turn on. If emergency I'd be dead before I could even get it to turn on. lt doesn't respond to commands when swipe. Just awful. No email support. Phone support, you can't get a person even when tried a different number that supposedly would get me to a person. I hit a number to talk with live person (had to pick any number as they told me had to use contact number that tried many many times to no avail). Anyway when hit "2" as advised it just disconnected. Seems they are happy to take your money but actually work for the customers? Not in my experience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I've had Safelink since 2016. Here's the thing, They sent me a phone that was too old to update, and I had to put another Launcher on it for it to work. So I used the phone minimally (Dr appts only). I get texts from them I have to make 1 call.. At times as I dial a number the buggy phone disconnects, so typically I can't make a call. I contacted C/S and told them about it.. The guy told me to buy another phone. Really? If I could buy I would have, so in essence they gave a shoddy phone and then won't help and it won't make calls. Supposedly I got the EBB, you sure could have fooled me! I tried again today to report the issue, but guess what? Call doesn't go through and neither does a text.

Gov't. needs to be on top of these companies. Safelink was ok when it first started, but it sure isn't customer friendly. Oh and Heaven forbid you let them know your phone is unusable, they are not interested. It's like they are taking advantage of people by telling them they need to BUY a phone and ADD minutes. I hope others don't go through this nonsense.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

On the website it says free phone and I been waiting since July 23, 2021 and when I called they said I don't get a free phone after I was told that I would get a free phone and they are letting the employees lie to people about and it is bad for business.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

They must be stealing my $50 EBB benefit away from my Spectrum broadband internet and they even denied it over the phone. I called Spectrum 6 times and they still have not been able to tell me what happened to my EBB benefit after I received it for the first 2 months. I have called EBB and my local federal representative and no one has been able to tell my why my EBB status with Spectrum changed. This leads me to believe there is a collusion or incompetence problem so I will be reporting the problem to the FBI. I see others are having the same problem. I don't consider Safelink a substitute for home based broadband and they should not be stealing federal government assistance without making it perfectly clear that they are taking your assistance from another provider.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Buyer beware. This company fraudulently signed me up for the EBB discount and took 3 months of discount benefit that could have been used with my regular service provider. Their customer service was terrible. The majority of the time the reps could not be heard when I got someone on the phone. And the fact they signed me up for the EBB discount through them without my knowledge is deplorable.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is the absolute worst - the most inept just horrible company I have ever encountered in my entire entire life. A nightmare with an ongoing headache built into it - totally maddening. This whole freakshow started in March when I made the fatal error I guess of porting my phone number to a new phone that I purchased from safelink net 10. For 5 months now this has been a nightmare on repeat - normally I have Ca lifeline and I never even have to think of my service. It just is there every month. This has been a living nightmare.

Every single month for 5 months they keep shutting off my service then I have to call them to turn it back on - but still the text messaging doesnt work then I have to spend 2 to 3 hours with them on the phone - calling them from another number - speaking with the corporate department - NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING HERE - time after time I have asked them "Please just fix this once and for all" and each month they tell me it's fixed then it happens all over again - then they try to tell me I need to renew my CAlifeline and they forced me to pay - I called CA lifeline and CAlifeline said I didnt need to renew until March 2022 - so SAFELINK disconnected and interupted my service and will not restore it and is making me pay now.

NONE OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY JUST LIE TO YOU OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN but none of them actually know what they are doing - it's a joke man I have spent probably 20 hours on the phone with these people since march. THE "SUPERVISOR" Just hung up on me - it's cheap labor from some pacific island nation. They must be either dumb or gaslighting people. THE WORST EVER.

Original review: May 14, 2021

They have no idea what they are doing and you will most likely be transferred to every employee they have. They all tell you something different and are a huge waste of time. Something as simple and straightforward as transferring a number is a week long headache. If you have ANY other option for a service provider, choose that one.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Forget the fact that none of them speak English very well and they are so not helpful. They did not send me a recertification and they did cut my phone service off upon me calling them. They told me it would be 30 days. Then when I got mad the guy told me don't get mad. That's my first warning like who is he my dad? Of course I'm mad. Second off he hung up on me and they would never connect the call back. He kept hanging up on me again. So obviously just one very rude guy works alone there because how would I get the same guy over and over again. Literally he just kept pressing buttons and waiting on the line or he would just hang up. STAY AWAY. Horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I purchased a phone from Safelink upgraded website. I received my phone and called to have it activated. It was activated but no cell service in my area after being transferred 7 times and me telling them that Verizon doesn't have coverage in the rural area where I live. They said, "We will send you a different Sims card." This was 6 hours later. I got the Sims card and of course it didn't work either. So they transferred me 5 different times. I got hung up on because I couldn't understand what the guy was saying. I call back and was transferred 6 times for them to say, "We will send you another phone." I asked this guy like 8 times to make sure it's at&t compatible. He said, "Oh it will be." I receive this phone and it won't pick up service either. I check carrier and it's on Verizon carrier. They tell me that at&t were working on their cell service to give it 48 hours. If my phone didn't work to call back next day. I get 2 more phones from Safelink.

I call them back after 48 hours and tell them the phone is still not working and that I received 2 more phones and they tried activating both of those phones as well in the span of 7 hours and 16 minutes later and being transferred 9 more times they tell me, "We are sending you packaging and label to send those phones back and when we get those phones we will send you another phone that's at&t compatible." I threw a fit but of course it did no good. Ok now I'm waiting another 3-5 days for the packaging to come. Well during this time I get another phone. I turn it it on and check carrier it says Verizon. I didn't even call them and tell them. I got the packaging and send all 5 of these phones back. I call them today to get a tracking number because they told me my phone would be shipped out the same day they received my returned phones. They got them on Thursday Dec 17th.

They have to transfer me twice and the last guy said, "Oh you received your replacement phone on December 11th." I told him yes I received a phone but it was still under Verizon carrier. He more or less said that the system decided with the information from my account what carrier I needed and shipped me the phone the system decided I needed. He couldn't give me a tracking number but gave me a reference number for the call I made to them today for me to call back in 3-5 more days to get the tracking number. I have been without a phone since December 7th. I am very sick with multiple health problems. I'm on oxygen 24\7. They do not care that I don't have a phone to call for help if I need to. I'm going to try another service. Safelink is a joke. I do not recommend safelink to anyone.

Safelink Wireless Company Information