3.9/5 (674 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: May 25, 2022

I had a phone and service plan that was provided through Safelink for free. I was required to upgrade my phone due to it being super old and no longer being supported (it was a 2g phone). A new phone was sent to me but I was not able to get it activated. I reached out to CS and was told that the area that I live in does not have the towers that my new phone uses so it was recommended that I buy a BYOP sim card and that should make it work. I went and bought the sim card but I was still not able to get it activated so I called CS back. I was told this time that my phone is a Verizon phone and the area I live in does not have Verizon towers and so there is nothing they can do. They recommended that I buy a new phone or try to sell it. I could not wrap my head around how this issue that was caused by them was now my problem to figure out.

Eventually, the CS said she would speak to her supervisor to see if there is something they can do and get back to me the next day at noon. Come the day of, an hour past noon and I received no call back. So I called CS a third time and was told that unfortunately there was nothing they could do as all phones they have are Verizon phones and they can not send me another phone as I already have a new one, even if I sent it back. It was suggested again that I go buy a new phone or try selling it. I asked the agent why on earth would they send a customer a phone that does not work in the customer's area? Why would they not check this first before sending out the phone? Why are all phones Verizon phones when not everyone has Verizon towers in their area? She could not answer me, only repeating how "sorry" she was and that it would be looked into.

Now I am left with a phone that doesnt work, no phone, and I will be unenrolled from the program because I am not able to make any calls or text messages. I wasted so much time calling CS hoping they would resolve the issue they caused but instead was left very disappointed. Nothing was resolved. I will never use nor recommend Safelink or Tracfone to anyone. They may be cheap and affordable, even free for some, but their customer service, ethics and values are very lacking. What a horrible company!

Original review: May 22, 2022

Oh my, where to start! Signing up and being approved for Safelink's lifeline service was the only thing that went right. After that it was an impossible mess dealing with the most incompetent technical support employees I have ever encountered - and I've experienced some real doozies! After getting a sim card so that I could use my own Pixel 4a phone, I called to activate it and thus began the nightmare. To begin with, getting through to a real person is quite a trick but after the 4th call I figured out that if I used option #7 for tech service, I could, after a few automated questions, get through to a so-called technician, all of which are all are painfully difficult to understand due to their very heavy foreign accents. Then their system couldn't identify me and couldn't even identify their own sim card.

Finally I was told that to activate my new Lifeline service I would need to first deactivate my current carrier and then call Safelink back so that they could port my phone number to the new service. Only problem is, if you deactivate service with a current carrier you cannot after that port the number to the new carrier. And this is exactly what I was told by my existing carrier. They confirmed to me that if I deactivated the service, or allowed it to expire without first porting the number, the number would be lost. When I called Safelink tech service to explain this, I was told that their system gave a message that I first needed to deactivate service with my old carrier. Mind you, Safelink's own website states clearly that your current service must be ACTIVE for the number to be ported. Bottomline is, save yourself a huge amount of aggravation and stress - find another carrier!

Original review: May 14, 2022

This is not a scam company. It's now owned by Verizon. They are also connected with Net10 and TracFone. All owned by Verizon now. This company shut off my service 7 times in the couple years I had them. Because the dept you need to contact to have it turned back on does not use email or text and you must call them, that means you have to borrow a phone (even if you have wifi cause your wifi calling won't work). Then you have to be transferred at least 3 times and you will be hung up on 8/10 times you call and then you have to go thru the whole process again... Why? Cause you didn't get far enough to give them the # you are calling from and your number is turned off so they can call you back.

1st time, it took 7 hrs in total and over 15 callbacks to get my service back on. Then it was good for a few months and then consecutively every month thereafter, it would be turned off. Each of those times took an average of 3 or more hrs and a min of 8 calls. Do yourself a favor, do not sign up with this company or TracFone. if you're already signed up and desperate to get out... I went with Airtalk Wireless. I've been with them for just over a month and so far so good. They use AT&T towers. PS: I have the Lifeline benefit and ACP from the feds.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Assurance Wireless is AWFUL, and Safelink Wireless is almost as bad. I have now spent hours and hours over several days trying to get my mobile service straightened out. I had service with Assurance for several years. Not only are the wireless phones they provide pure garbage, their customer service is even worse than the mobile phones they provide, much, much worse. I have 2 phone numbers for Assurance. Each number refers you to the other number, and you literally spend hours trying to get past the automated system which drones on and on about information you already know, but it does not touch on anything to do with why you are calling. Even after you finally reach a live human being, you end up talking to someone somewhere on the other side of the global. Their English is poor, and their IQs seem very low---they do not even seem to have basic common sense. It takes forever to get the information you want from them.

In this case, all I wanted/needed to know was my Assurance account number. Your account number does not appear on Assurance's website once you log in, and you do not receive statements from them if you have Lifeline, so you cannot possibly find out on your own what is your account number. It took me over 40 minutes to get my account number from them today. I needed the account number so that Safelink could use it, and my Assurance PIN, to port my number at Assurance to my new Safelink phone. Next, with a great sense of trepidation and DREAD, I had to contact Safelink again re porting the number.

I ended up on the phone with Safelink several times, twice today alone. This morning I was told they requested release of my Assurance number, and my service should be active in roughly 3 hours. That phone call this morning with Safelink took over an hour, and I had to speak to two agents. In the meantime, they turned off my Safelink service whilst they awaited release of my number, so I had no service all day.

Five hours later, still no service. I had to ring them again. This time, I had to speak to THREE different people. I was told the request was being sent again and that my number should be ported and my service working in another FOUR HOURS. This means I will have had no service at all since Sunday (two days ago), and I am skeptical that this will be sorted out in another four hours. As inept as their customer service agents seem to be, I am justifiably worried that I may have to contact them back today at least twice more, and if this is not resolved today, I will be on the phone with them again tomorrow. Heaven only knows which day this really will be resolved. My blood pressure is through the roof, and my stomach has been in knots since last Friday dealing with Assurance and Safelink.

No one should have to spend this much time on the phone with Lifelink providers such as Assurance and Safelink over something as basic as this. I am leaving this review to let others know that these providers rake in millions of dollars per year via Lifeline beneficiaries, yet they do not provide even half decent customer service. It is an absolute disgrace. My dog is smarter than the people I have dealt with at these companies, and I do not say this in jest. It is true! My dog can figure something out faster than this.

I now have filed complaints with the BBB against both Safelink and their parent company Tracfone. I also filed complaints against Assurance Wireless, and I filed complaints with both their states' attorney general's offices for consumer protection. The more complaints that go on file, the longer the record of criminally bad customer service becomes. I hope that some day a good attorney will file a class action suit against these providers for the disgraceful way they do business and win a massive verdict against them. They deserve it.

Original review: May 6, 2022

In October 2017 I applied for the California Lifeline program through SafeLink Wireless. I was approved and enrolled in the free monthly package of 6GB data, free calls, and free text messages. I also received an Alcatel one touch smartphone. The Alcatel one touch cell phone that I received was an inexpensive phone with limited storage and slow performance. Due to limited storage space of 5 GB (the cell phone’s operating system and a few basic apps would use 4.46 of storage and only leave a 1.03 GB available storage) and the device’s inability to upgrade from the android 5 operating system to a more updated operating system required by most apps, the phone became extremely slow, nonfunctional with most apps, and unreliable.

In April 2021, after thorough online research and many lengthy phone conversations with SafeLink and Tracfone I decided to purchase a Samsung cell phone with an updated operating system that's compatible with California Lifeline and SafeLink and would allow me to use apps on my cell phone and stay enrolled in the California Lifeline program. A simple process of porting my benefits and phone number from the old cell phone to the new one became an impossible task. I was on the phone with different individuals, many days, and many lengthy hours. For instance, one time I was talking to different agents from various departments for three days and a minimum of 8 hours each day.

At some point I came close to returning my newly purchased cell phone because the representatives kept telling me that my new cell phone is not compatible despite the fact that the compatibility of the cell phone had been verified through numerous sources prior to the purchase. I finally managed to talk to a supervisor in the technical support department and that individual ported my number and transferred my California Lifeline services. The new cell phone was much faster than the cheap Alcatel phone I previously struggled with. I was able to use apps and was very happy with my purchase.

A few months passed and this is where the real nightmare with SafeLink begins. Every month, for one reason or another, my service would become inactive. At times I would manage to reactivate the service by calling the enrollment or technical support department. This was seldom a brief phone call and usually entailed a lengthy process of being on the phone for hours, placed on hold, transferred from person to person, repeat required information, and many times get disconnected. When calling SafeLink to reactivate your cell phone you get directed to a pre-recorded menu that tells you to pay for minutes.

Most individuals would settle for this option and get coerced into buying minutes instead of using the free minutes they were promised when enrolled in the Lifeline program. Most of the time I was told that my California Lifeline has been canceled and I have to apply again, and once approved and enrolled by California Lifeline I will have to call SafeLink back to reactivate my cell phone. This meant that I would be without a phone for ten days or more and had to be on the phone for hours afterwards to fix the issue. I have experienced this problem at least ten times and finally this April when my service was disconnected again I decided that I had enough of Safelink’s fraudulent practices and started looking for another company to use the California Lifeline program with.

The Lifeline program is called Lifeline for a reason. It is meant to provide a necessary service to disadvantaged individuals. A cell phone and internet service that they would have to do without or make great sacrifices to be able to afford due to the great gap between earning wages and cost of living especially in areas such as California where seventy percent of an individual's income is consumed by unreasonable housing expenses.

Based on many online reviews from valid sources such as consumer affairs it has become a common practice for Safelink to cheat consumers out of the cell phone plan promised to them when they enroll in the Lifeline program. This is a calculated strategy to force individuals into purchasing a plan from Tracfone. Tracfone continues to receive the benefits of operating as a government supported program that is funded by taxpayers in the form of universal service fee. Article published by CNN business on October 16, 2012 explains it in detail.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I had them using Verizon towers. BAD data connection. 10 calls to their cus svc & 6 hrs on hold, they switched me to T-mobile towers. 2 wks later, they SHUT OFF my account AND cut off my Lifeline eligibility. They can do both if they want, according to a Lifeline agent. I talked to 4 different agents, each had a different reason for this, none of them had to do with me. I had NO warning. They tried to turn it around like it was MY fault..They sent this strange auto-text from "Net10"(?) telling me to add money to my account. This coming from the top manager of Safelink's Lifeline dept...telling me this was my "warning" to call them. He didn't listen to anything I said. I asked him, "What is Net10? And why would I pay money when I've had free cell service for 6 years now?"

So now I had to pay $21, their cheapest plan, to keep my phone # running. Now I have to start over, as if I were a brand new customer, and wait about 3 weeks to get my Lifeline phone service approved again. I'm still confused and in shock on why this happened. Also..the actual gov't. Lifeline agent said "It's not just you, I've already dealt with TEN customers like you today!!!!" That was on a random Tuesday morning.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Trying to re-establish my 93 year old mother with a Safelink phone after she was cut off her previous account when she went into the nursing home. The website is impossible to navigate and offers little help. Chat can't get a live person. Calling and going through an impossible series of options that do address your concerns then waiting for hours for a semi-english-speaking person to answer just to get rote answers about nothing. (***Press '0' over and over until a semi-alive person picks up.) Never even addressing the issue.

Having to tell them over and over that the phone hasn't arrived in 2 weeks. She kept saying "it takes 7-10 days" to get the phone. I asked her when the account was confirmed and she gave me a date for next month. Really? She kept asking for the phone number. I told her repeatedly that "I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE PHONE YET!" And she'd asked for the phone number 2 more times again. When I asked to speak to a manager, she placed me on hold and hung up. What a rip off of government funds. So the process starts over

Original review: April 17, 2022

FAKE SCAM CELL COMPANY. Scamming the American taxpayers giving out broken "Obama phones" with No support Email. No support Chat. You can only call, but when your phone breaks (and trust me, it will soon if it hasn't already), you cannot reach even using *611 or 611 or any other of those numbers. I finally was able to call them, and the rep just lied to me. Said they would send me an air bill in an email (about 15 times during the very long drawn out support call). I said I would wait for it to arrive. The guy assured me I didn't need to stay on the line and the email would be arriving shortly. Email never came. Can't call them. Can't email them. Can't chat with them. Even if I can call again, they will just lie again.

This is typical of all these fraudulent wireless companies that are providing "Obama phones" at taxpayer expense. They are charging American taxpayer like $500 a phone and $100/mo for service when the phone is worth less than 10 bucks and breaks within a month if it's not broken when you receive it. Service is trash, even when the phone works. Total Scam. These people should be in jail.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I decided to get the government help on a phone that would cost me nothing every month. Ha ha ha ha ha! 1st. I could never sign into app or .com to see how many minutes, text, ETC... Then when I called to add a plan they said mine didn't come with one and over experiencing tech issues. "Follow this hundred item list and links, turn phone on and off, did this so many times. Finally on 5th call I get someone who talks and said for $125 a month I still won't get unlimited minutes!! Told her for $35 with T-Mobile I get unlimited.

I do not want your service. TAKE ME OFF YOUR SAFELINK UNDEPENDABLE UNAFFORDABLE PLAN? KILL THE NUMBER CAUSE SIM CARD IS GOING IN TRASH!! After spending 5hrs today on phone it might be done?? Bad service, reps that hang up on you, rude, ask impossible questions (my sim card number for my T-Mobile line I've had same SIM for 13yrs and why that SIM CARD?), And after begging them and getting nowhere this company sucks as a whole. DO NOT GET PHONE FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 8, 2022

First, I am one of many individuals who is in need of Soc. Sec. Disability Benefits, due to physical, (or other) incapabilities. Which means, I have financial limitations as well. I have been happy, that Safelink Wireless was giving me one less bill to pay. However, they have given me nothing but "The Runaround"! It took me ten days, ten different agents, & over $70. before they sent me a new phone. BUT, the SIM# is incompatible. OK! So now, It has, as of yesterday, taken me another two weeks, for another agent to send me a new SIM card that is compatible, for my area.

This morning, in a UPS package, I received my new SIM card. YAY! Uh-OH-, I spoke too soon. I called Safelink to Activate. Well my old phone number is in there, but I still can't use it. Now, I cannot get through to any agent at all to really Activate my phone. All I am getting is recordings. I need someone to answer me, Because, IT'S STILL NOT ACTIVATED! I thought this was an American Government Phone and Service. Is It? I don't know, given that I am always speaking to people of foreign nations.

Original review: April 3, 2022

The people there are incompetent. I got a SIMs card in the mail, had my number passport it onto that SIMs card. It took several calls and several people before I found the right person who knew what they were doing. After a month of having their service all of a sudden the SIM card did not work. I called and called and called and it took more than six calls before I got the right person again who finally told me that they were going to send me a new SIMs card. I got the new Sims card and had lots of trouble trying to get my service activated. The one lady told me to turn my phone off and turn it on after 24 hours they have terrible customer service skills and their phone service is just as bad. I would never recommend anybody to go to SafeLink.

Original review: April 1, 2022

First of all, their reps are paid actors who pretend not to speak any English. They get kickbacks by the government for releasing sensitive information about you via your cell. I qualified for the ACP program, with the unlimited talk and text. It's been three months now and they still have not given me my benefits. When I call they just tell me to turn off and back on the phone, and instead of giving me my free minutes, they charge me 10 dollars per G, when the other Safelink customers can purchase 40 g of data for 39 dollars. I tried to purchase those plans and Safelink stole 180 dollars from me, and still would not give me my data. This place is a joke. I am starting a class action lawsuit if anyone would like to join up. I'm gonna put them out of business. They are a complete joke. They lie, they cheat, and they steal.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I recently received a notice from CA Lifeline telling me that I am certified and do not need to re-certify until some time in 2023. Today I tried to make a call with my Safelink account and was informed I have no service. I checked online and they say I've been cancelled. Safelink has no customer service, NONE. Maybe I'll pay $15/month and get Mint.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I signed up for Safelink on the recommendation of my medical social worker. After a week, I received a free mobile phone that's the size of a pool table, and is so full of junk that it's very difficult to use. That's the GOOD part. I had difficulty setting up service, called customer service seven times before I got a human. He couldn't confirm my account regardless of what company-generated information I gave him. He finally told me 'the system is broken', and referred me to another department for which there was a >30 min hold time. The next day I tried again, never got to a person. I also tried their 611611 text option, and was put on hold!

However, that morning I received a text message saying my voicemail (which I never set up) password had been changed - but didn't say to what. I also got a text saying I now have 1000 minutes/month (not unlimited as promised), but when I 'check balance', everything is zero - 0 text minutes, 0 call minutes, 0 data minutes remaining. I actually haven't used the phone at all. Two weeks after receiving the phone, I still can't use it and can't reach the company.

Original review: March 16, 2022

I dont know how this company stays afloat. If you have Safelink you had better have yourself another phone as well. They have turned my phone off unexpectedly I think 3 times in the last year. I have spent over 6 hours and numerous calls, waited a month to receive a sim card, I can't update any of my apps and have talked to numerous people giving them each my sim number, home address as well as be texted 3 different times and had to give them code...hours and hours and I still have no hot spot. It's absolutely amazing to me how despicable this company is. They have charged me $10 a gig when it should be free. I call safelink and the send me to Net 10 that wants my money to pay for data. They fail to add free govt hours to my phone. It's become a game to me, you just can't believe how poor this disgusting co really is. Whoever the CEO is, they must be a complete looney tune, it starts at the top.

The FCC or PUC should shut this place down and put the whole lot of the higher ups in this company in prison. They are well aware that they are charging people for a free Obama phone and service. They are well aware the service they provide is so bad, Tracfone, net 10, safelink they're all slumlords that suck out govt funds from these phones, and laugh at us, all the way to the bank. I only had 1 rude encounter from net10, they're awful, Tracfone, net10, safelink are the 3 stooges of the cell world.

They should be ashamed of the problems they are causing innocent victims of their shady poor equipped agents and customers, I've found the agents, mostly in the Philippines are kind and gentle, I try to be patient with them, safelink throws its own people under the bus daily. I don't think there are any stupidvisors at safelink, just sheep. Don't be too harsh on the Filipinos, they're the most hospitable folks on the earth. Safelink hosts throws to the wolves. You haven't lived till you own a safelink phone it's so bad, it's unbelievable.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I call SafeLink to get my monthly minutes, And they ask me for a credit card are a Debit card. And I told them that I supposed to give a free minute every month from the government. And they said that I couldn't get it. I think someone is scamming me to make me use my debit card my credit card. Because when you get a SafeLink phone from the government it's called they automatically have your minutes on it

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Safelink Wireless received, processed, and approved my application for Lifeline and ACP. They also indicated they will send me a phone. After not receiving a phone for 2 weeks, I reached out to their customer service and got rude foreigners who don’t speak English. After several calls and attempts, I was finally told that they had sent me a phone several years ago. I informed them I had no idea what they were talking about as I have never had a Safelink or Lifeline account before; I haven’t met income eligibility requirements for Lifeline or ACP since my second year in college - I would never have been approved even had I applied! I’ve been a victim of identity theft since 2012 and it seems to never end. They continued to argue with me and when I asked for a supervisor, they hung up on me. This occurred at least 6 times that I called.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I purchased a new phone off of the Safelink website March 2021 for $69. In August the phone quit working. I called Safelink and was transferred to TracFone. They agreed to replace the phone. I bought an LG phone on ATT network and I asked that they send the same. They sent 4 phones. None were the correct brand (cheaper phones were sent) or the correct network. I told them repeatedly not to send Verizon as we get very bad reception. This was reiterated to them after each wrong phone was sent. Each return cost me a 44 mile round trip to the closest UPS store. They also told me they would refund money but they never would. I was also told by TracFone I must purchase an ATT SIM card from Wal-Mart to make the phone work. This was also a waste of money as it did not work.

I finally gave up and bought another phone off of the Safelink site. This one cost me $90 which I had to make payments on because I could not afford it. I bought the second phone on Sept. 23 2021. I finished paying it off in December. In January I was informed I must buy a new phone due to "network changes" by February. After hours on the phone with TracFone they finally sent a replacement phone - AGAIN on Verizon network which we get zero reception where we live. Again - HOURS ON THE PHONE with no resolution other than be told to BUY ANOTHER PHONE. I was also told to buy another SIM card from them to make the new phone work. It didn't and I again wasted my money.

I asked for a refund for the last phone so I could just buy the correct phone on the correct network and was told they would NOT REFUND because someone at TracFone had put in the wrong IMEI number for the phone. I did not put in the wrong number. I couldn't if I wanted to. Yet They refused to refund me the $90. I am stuck with a phone that gets barely 1 bar if any signal at all because I can't afford to buy another phone when I'm already into this for over $200 for two phones neither of which lasted more than 4 months and two useless SIM cards was told to purchase to fix the mess. I want my $90 refunded so I can get the right phone on the right network - which TracFone clearly cannot do no matter what.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

I understand the phone service is free for eligible recipients, but I am cancelling it and purchasing a plan with another service. Safelink Wireless is completely useless. I had to call to upgrade because my phone was no longer compatible but there didn't have any free phones left, which was ok. I purchased a flip phone because that's all I wanted. When the phone arrived, I had to call them to have it activated. I called over 10 times and was placed on hold by people that I did not understand and they had no idea what they were doing. They were switching me around to different departments and every time they did, the call would drop. I would have to call again and go through the whole ritual over and over again. After 10 times, I finally gave up and I still don't have a working phone with them that was activated. Save yourself the aggravation and buy minutes or get a plan on your own because this is the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Have received several emails stating I am required to upgrade to a VoLTE phone. Every phone they offer is out of stock. Parts of their website are broken, including their contact information. Not clear what if anything I can do.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Starting 3/4 into this year their phone support has been stellar. Why? Because they are almost entirely working from their homes and not having to rely on Safelink call center phones. Aside from a couple difficulty understanding (and speaking) English, they been solid with me. I had an agent last year at their call center keep telling me to go outside to get a better signal after I had repeatedly told her I was using a LANDLINE. After 45 minutes, I finally got a top supervisor on and she had to go outside their building to be able to get a clear signal! LOL We both had a chuckle about that. She was stellar at her job, too. But my main complaint is their web portals.

Want to buy a single, correct-sized sim card for your phone? The field where you enter your phone number never finishes submitting. Try ANY modern browser! If you begrudgingly decide you have to just buy their $10 sim kit, the site will repeatedly tell you that your email address doesn't exist. Want to look up your account using your phone number? It will tell you no such account exists. I've had them for years, so of course, my account exists. Their webmasters are completely incompetent. The site used to actually work better than this, a couple of years ago, that is. And don't EVER buy a phone directly from them. I had a phone fail after only 3 weeks. They immediately agreed to replace it. The shipping notice I received was for the exact same phone. What did I receive? An extremely basic USED TCL phone. I complained and they had no record of sending or selling me a phone!!! I just couldn't win.

Now I've gone through 5 other phones in 2021. Aside from the terrible phones they sell, I've had the craziest wet mishaps with 4 phones in the last 2 months, and one where it stopped communicating with the sim card slot. So I bought a Samsung S10+ that's waterproof. Turns out Safelink only accepts me using a Verizon sim card (not my favorite network) for this model. So I tried to buy one tonight and there is zero chance of this happening because my account supposedly doesn't exist. I can't call them either because I don't have access to any other phone currently. Unfortunately, the super nice chat support agent could not help me buy a sim card. They're just not able to access that function. Guess I won't be calling anyone during Christmas because I just won't have a working phone. If things don't improve soon, I'm switching services.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I had been using a BYOD iPhone until it broke. Bought a replacement phone, new sim card, get it all set up and have my benefits transferred. Sounds good, right? Wrong. They deactivated my account and forced me to reapply California Lifeline. This is going to put me out for a month. All this over using a different phone! I said forget it, told them to unlock my phone and I'll go to PagePlus. $80 a year is better than this aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

First of all before they say anything ask if this is Safelink Wireless because they will put you with a whole other company. Also one rep. deleted all my minutes and texts available. Simple fix right? Nooo. My phone number was down for 5 hrs. No calls no texts. These people are worthless garbage for real.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I've only had the phone for about a couple of months. The day I received the phone, every website that I was on started jumping all over the place. I would go onto messenger & it would throw me off and blackout. It would also randomly go to my friend's messenger and even go onto other things that I didn't even click on. It would start freaking out when I tried to use the voice messaging thing to spell out my words. It would even try to go onto eBay and click on things to add to my cart that I didn't click on. (Speaking of problems out of the phone, I just now had an episode with it. Starred drawing blue lines all over my keyboard like someone had their finger pressing down on the screen)

Also, on the day that I received the phone, I was told that I would receive unlimited everything including unlimited data. My phone is now sending me warnings that my data is about to run out. I've had some crappy ** phone services in my life, but I NEVER thought that I would EVER come across anything worse until I got with this company!!!! I don't plan on staying with this company very long. I'm waiting until I become more financially ahead and then I'm gonna give them the boot up the rear-end!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I bought a Safelink minute card as I needed more minutes. When my free minutes were put on safelink removed all my purchased safelink minutes. Why have safelink minute cards if the minutes will be removed. I'm done with safelink.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Safelink wireless is a very good service for low income people and or older people. You fill out an application once and once approved, then you get free minutes, texts and data every month. Once a year you will have to requalify to make sure you are still eligible. They are with Tracfone wireless and they are also very good.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Been with them for about 2 yrs. When with them last did lose phone. They replaced. Then did nothing with them for maybe 1 yr. Reapplied. Got service. Phone awful, told them that when they sent it to me and were setting it up. They didn't care. Unusable. Takes 1 minute + to turn on. If emergency I'd be dead before I could even get it to turn on. lt doesn't respond to commands when swipe. Just awful. No email support. Phone support, you can't get a person even when tried a different number that supposedly would get me to a person. I hit a number to talk with live person (had to pick any number as they told me had to use contact number that tried many many times to no avail). Anyway when hit "2" as advised it just disconnected. Seems they are happy to take your money but actually work for the customers? Not in my experience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I've had Safelink since 2016. Here's the thing, They sent me a phone that was too old to update, and I had to put another Launcher on it for it to work. So I used the phone minimally (Dr appts only). I get texts from them I have to make 1 call.. At times as I dial a number the buggy phone disconnects, so typically I can't make a call. I contacted C/S and told them about it.. The guy told me to buy another phone. Really? If I could buy I would have, so in essence they gave a shoddy phone and then won't help and it won't make calls. Supposedly I got the EBB, you sure could have fooled me! I tried again today to report the issue, but guess what? Call doesn't go through and neither does a text.

Gov't. needs to be on top of these companies. Safelink was ok when it first started, but it sure isn't customer friendly. Oh and Heaven forbid you let them know your phone is unusable, they are not interested. It's like they are taking advantage of people by telling them they need to BUY a phone and ADD minutes. I hope others don't go through this nonsense.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

On the website it says free phone and I been waiting since July 23, 2021 and when I called they said I don't get a free phone after I was told that I would get a free phone and they are letting the employees lie to people about and it is bad for business.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

They must be stealing my $50 EBB benefit away from my Spectrum broadband internet and they even denied it over the phone. I called Spectrum 6 times and they still have not been able to tell me what happened to my EBB benefit after I received it for the first 2 months. I have called EBB and my local federal representative and no one has been able to tell my why my EBB status with Spectrum changed. This leads me to believe there is a collusion or incompetence problem so I will be reporting the problem to the FBI. I see others are having the same problem. I don't consider Safelink a substitute for home based broadband and they should not be stealing federal government assistance without making it perfectly clear that they are taking your assistance from another provider.

Safelink Wireless Company Information