Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: April 16, 2020

I received an email in November 2019 from Safelink saying I needed to log in and verify my mailing address was correct because it was time to recertify. I did this. After waiting 7-10 business days and not receiving my recertification form in the mail, I logged into my account to see if I could access the form there. I could not. My account said it wasn't yet time for me to recertify. I called Safelink and asked them to send me another form. I told them this had happened to me a few years ago and that Safelink had assured me then that it wasn't time for me to recertify yet a few months later they shut off my phone. I called over and over again. No one would help me. They insisted I should disregard the email and that it wasn't time for me to recertify.

I received another email from Safelink in December saying by now I should have received the recertification form in the mail and that I needed to recertify or they would shut off my phone. I had not received the form in the mail. I logged into my account and once again it said it wasn't time for me to recertify so I couldn't access the form there.

The email said I could recertify via one of 3 ways:

1) the paper form I was supposed to have received in the mail. I could not recertify this way because I never received the form despite having my address correct in their system.
    2) a web page with an embedded link. Still to this day if I click on the link, no page ever loads. I was never able to access a form going that route.

3) a phone number that, when I called it, sent me to an automated answering system that asked for a number I was supposed to have received on the letter I was supposed to have gotten in the mail but never received. I subsequently couldn't use this method.

With no means to recertify and flashbacks to this happening to me a few years ago running through my head, I called Safelink repeatedly, begging to be sent a recertification form or to be given access to one online. I explained this had happened to me a few years earlier and they had left me without a phone for weeks and that, as a single mom with no other phone in the house, I couldn't go through that again.

I cried. I begged. I swore. Nobody would help me. They kept telling me that it wasn't time for me to recertify (which is what it said when I logged into my account) and assured me that my phone wasn't at risk of being shut off. One Safelink representative told me they changed how you recertify (they did) and that now my state automatically recertified me and they could see it in their system that I was approved for services moving forward. Since this was my first time being given the aforementioned 3 options before to recertify, so this was in fact a new method of recertification, I eventually decided to believe the countless representatives at Safelink who said my account was in good standing, that I needed to disregard the emails, and that my phone wouldn't get shut off. I wasn't getting anywhere calling them anyway.

A few months later, in the middle of the pandemic - when other phone companies are saying they won't shut off your phone even if you're behind on payments - my FREE phone service was shut off. I used a Google Voice number to call Safelink. OVER AND OVER again. Several representatives insisted my phone wasn't shut off and that I'd simply ran out of minutes. I normally get minutes on the first of the month. My phone was shut off on the first. When I pointed out that I couldn't have ran out of minutes I was never able to use, some would dig in deeper and still insist that I had ran out of minutes and that I could simply purchase more. Some would admit that they did shut off my phone. One person eventually gave me a web address I could enter to reapply for services through the National Verifier. I immediately applied through them as well as through Safelink.

I have no friends or family around. I'm a single mom. Aside from Google Voice, which Safelink kept saying they couldn't hear me good enough and often hung up on me from, I have no other means to call out. And I definitely had no way to call when I was out picking up groceries for myself and my child, who I'm supposed to be leaving home alone instead of taking with me to stores right now. I need a cell phone so I can properly supervise her (I was using Wyze Cams and my cell phone to supervise her from stores). The National Verifier immediately confirmed I was approved for service upon applying. I waited for days. Safelink would not approve me.

I called Safelink. And called. And called. For an entire day from approximately 10 AM until 6 PM. I heard a lot of different reasons why my phone service was being denied despite being approved through the National Verifier. The top reason I was given - Safelink representatives kept insisting I hadn't been approved through the National Verifier. I three-way-called with Safelink and the National Verifier repeatedly yet they still insisted I had not been approved through the National Verifier even though they were saying it directly to Safelink. Not only that, but I kept losing signal on Google Voice and would be on hold forever only to be disconnected or hung up on due to not being able to hear me. It was aggravating.

Finally after a whole day of begging and sobbing and asking to speak to supervisors, one "manager" said I was denied permanently because she said I was refusing to follow her directions. Her directions were for me to apply through the National Verifier. I told her I had applied and had been approved. I logged into my account. I told her I saw in big blue letters "approved." I asked her what she wanted me to do next. She kept telling me to apply through the National Verifier. I explained that you can only apply through them once (something she should know already) and could not be any more approved than I already was. I asked what she wanted me to do next. We went in circles for a long time before she said I was permanently denied service through Safelink.

I asked her to send me to another supervisor. She said she WAS a manager. I said I wanted someone other than her. She said there was no point, they'd tell me the same thing. I insisted. The next guy asked for the same information every other representative at Safelink asked for - name, birth date, last four digits of social security number. I provided this information like I did for the dozens of other people I had called. The next question was if I had my enrollment ID. I provided that. He asked again for my birth date.

He then explained the problem was that I had accidentally bumped a wrong number when I re-applied for services on Safelink's web page. This made it so they weren't linking up with my approval through the national verifier. I have clubbed thumbs and struggle to type on a cell phone. It was a simple mistake that I could not see on my end. All I could see was that my service hadn't been approved. Not my birth date. It was a mistake that every single Safelink representative I called COULD have seen had they paid attention. I had spent an entire day calling Safelink and giving every customer service representative my birth date and not one of those people noticed the birth date was wrong.

I went through panic attacks, emotional distress - all for nothing. The first person I called should have noticed this mistake. This should never have happened. This guy proceeded to tell me I had to reapply for Safelink services online to fix the problem. He said it would be another 7-10 business days before my phone would be turned on. I began explaining to him how it wasn't my fault my phone was shut off in the first place and how, with social distancing being mandated in Washington State, a hot spot for the virus, having a phone was more important now than ever. I explained I had called in November and December and begged to be given access to the recertification form.

I was suddenly transferred to an automated message saying how I could legally request copies of my phone records from Safelink. I don't think it was a coincidence. I think he was suggesting I get the records and prove I had called Safelink repeatedly in an effort to keep them from shutting off my phone yet they shut it off anyway. I've gone over half a month with no phone service during a pandemic due to no fault of my own. And this happened a few years ago as well - not the pandemic part, but the part about having my phone shut off for weeks due to no fault of my own. Both times I asked for the recertification form and both times I was told I didn't need it.

DON'T go with Safelink - unless you're fine having your phone shut off for weeks at a time and being told you can pay for minutes out of your pocket if you don't like it. They don't consistently provide access to the recertification form and WILL shut your phone off even after insisting they won't. Customer service representatives don't know what they're talking about, they provide misinformation, and they can't problem solve simple issues like someone accidentally typing an 8 instead of a zero. Save your sanity. Go with another lifeline phone service if it's available.

Here it is the 16th of the month and I still have no phone service. In the middle of a pandemic. I can't check on my daughter when I go pick up her prescription today. So I have to choose between bringing her to a store and risking she will touch her face (she bites her finger nails) and between leaving her home alone with no means to check in on her. She's in grade school. I don't feel comfortable doing this. Shame on Safelink.

Original review: April 14, 2020

These reps are terrible, they don't know what they are doing. I get transferred and transferred, and stay on hold for 40 to 60 min. They say they're working on my account and leave me on hold. I hear hammering in back round, a damn rooster. They ask for your information over and over again. They have you record your answers over and over, because next person can't find it or it isn't there. The damn excuses are endless. I have been trying to get my service activated for the past month and half. That is what free wireless service gets you, a headache and irritation. If your identity is ever stolen it would probably be from here, like seriously.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have been trying since December 2019 to get up and running with Safe Link ONLY because they are now the only providers in my area to offer AT&T compatible service! Quite by the insidious trapping practices of these fly by night service providers I lost my 3 years straight of perfect service with Life Wireless, using my own phone. They also now use T Mobile which my phone (perfect, new, just finished paying for AT&T compatible phone) is not compatible with! I will copy and paste my entire notes on my numerous attempts to maintain service with them - as they continuously make some error and wind up disconnecting my every 30 days ... causing me to go without needed service for weeks at a time (single elder female living alone with cancer). The real problem is that NO ONE CAN HOLD THESE JERKS ACCOUNTALBE.

1. The Feds create a program and the cheapest way to administer it is set up contractors in each state as in... 2. California Life Line Administration is paid by the Feds to provide free phone and internet service and devices to qualified individuals and the best profit margin they can concoct is to contract that responsibility out to ... 3. INDEPENDENT GHOST PROVIDERS UNDER OTHER UMBRELLAS ARE PAID BY CALIFORNIA LIFE LINE ADMINISTRATION to do the job they are contracted to administer but .... 4. They don't even know these fly-by-night providers that we have to deal with and cannot hold them accountable for refusing qualified individuals their right to this federal program!!

I am filing a complaint with the CPUC but it does seem that will be challenging as they do not have a department for filing against Federal/State programs and no one knows these come-and go phone companies! I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE UP A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THE CA LL ADMINISTRATION. Please help me make a noise so we can be heard. We have a right to this service and these schmucks that are handed down to us to provide it are unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Buying time was great but the network that they have me on stopped 3g service. This program is government funded that came with a free phone and 500mins 3gb of data. Getting mins no data and they want me to buy a upgraded phone.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Handset is a tiny LG candy bar with a 2" (two frakkin' inch) screen. BTW IT'S 2020 NOW SAFELINK, toss YOUR smartphone in the trash and see how YOU like it pendejo. They say I have voice, text, & data. Text works great (apparently they haven't figured out how to FUBAR it yet). Phone not web/app capable for my data... OOPS. Voice drops out/in at random BOTH directions on 9 out of 10 calls. Tech support says I need to call back on another phone so they can test the one they gave me???? WWhat OTHER phone??? I'M BROKE DINGLEBERRY. THESE PHONES ARE FOR POOR PEOPLE EINSTEIN!!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Tried to switch to Safelink. Customer Service was no help. AT ALL. Stopped trying to apply by phone and sent in paper applications twice. A Significant amount of time was between both. I got no response from the first application. I called and I was told they never received it. Months later applied again by application. As I type this complaint I have heard nothing from safelink. I started the switch in early 2019. Up until now February 7, 2020 I have no phone service that I've tried to apply for.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I called to disconnect my phone because it was stolen. I was told I could reconnect within 72 hours. When I called back, I was told it would take 1-2 months for the enrollment process. I was told by employees in Central America and India that I should be grateful to have free phone service. My tax dollars from when I was working my whole life are going to foreigners who say I should be grateful for what I have.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Customer service 0, Tracfone 10 so far. I switched lifeline providers because Tag Mobile was not giving me the promised data. At its best I got 500MB full speed LTE, then slow slow data speed after that usually never reaching the 1GB limit. SafeLink is supposed to give me 3GB data at full LTE speed. Maybe, but I'm skeptical so I've connected my iPhone (buy your own phone if you get Lifeline wireless service or you'll get one of their godawful ~$50 smartphones) to my PC as a modem. It worked as soon as I activated the phone, so I'd recommend Tracfone if you have to pay for service, but it seems Mint Mobile beats all the other mobile virtual operators. If you have SafeLink I wish you well, there really aren't many good Lifeline wireless providers. The whole program is a wreck.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I recently had to cancel my service with Safelink since I cannot use their outdated phone due to my progressing nerve damage disability. I shake constantly and it takes me 5 minutes to send/reply to a text message. (I am on SSDI, have my Notice of Award from the SSA etc). I have been a customer of theirs for going on ten years now and just wanted a smartphone (which all new customers, many of my friends included, receive) so I can speech-to-text. Maria at Option #6 (or Chrysall or whatever name she uses... she gave different names at different times) gave me the runaround for 2 weeks, always giving me a different explanation for what I had to do in order to receive a smartphone.

She finally said I had to make a call from a 3rd party phone to start the process. I contacted my HUD housing supervisor with my Enrollment ID (she has my other personal information obviously as well). After a few transfers, she was eventually told my account didn't exist and was hung up on. I called Maria back (whatever name she used this time) furious on how I told her to expect my housing supervisor's call, yet she was treated as such. Maria then told me that I missed some deadline and was not eligible for an upgrade... which made me furious as to the lengths that I had already had gone through and the time I wasted for myself and my housing supervisor.

I know that many customer service representatives can come off as stupid, but Maria was beyond dumb. It's not a case of not knowing how to do her job, rather, she is clearly retarded and should not be dealing with the general public at all, let alone be in customer service. The only thing I would recommend her for is an appearance on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon. Maybe then she would get enough money raised for her to get the necessary treatment that would help her remember her own name.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

They are obviously contracted in India or some other country because when talking to customer service the reception is very bad and we can hardly hear each other. Plus, every person I talk with has a heavy accent that makes communicating even harder. I’ve been trying for months to get my lifeline service reactivated and they keep rejecting my application. I never get any notice that it’s been rejected, I have to go through the long process of calling and waiting to get through to someone. Each time they tell me the info I submitted wasn’t sufficient. First I needed to submit 2 months of income, then 3. Then I was told I need to submit my tax return. Today when I called I was told I need to submit my last 4 months of income. I told them, "Never mind, I’m tired of trying." The service was horrible anyway, lots of dropped calls and my texts rarely went through. Horrible company.

Safelink Wireless Company Information