3.9/5 (674 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I am on the $1,000 a month plan with SafeLink Wireless. I have purchase additional minutes. In September when SafeLink added my minutes to my phone, the additional minutes that I purchase also disappeared. When I call SafeLink Wireless to inquire about the minute that I purchased was gone, they told me to give them 24 hours to investigate the situation. I reach back out to them 24 hours later to see Kenny if they found a resolution to this problem. SafeLink told me the minutes that I purchased is gone and the time was up. I have purchased those minutes two weeks before the date when they added my minutes so how was they gone when I just purchased them. Do not purchase any additional minutes from this company. They are so thirsty and money hungry that they will not give you your minutes that you purchased. From this point on I will just use the minutes that they give me!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I have been dealing with them for almost a month trying to get my phone back on. Supposedly it was shut off because I needed to complete a review. I have done everything they have said and my phone is still off. Every time I call them I am told to do something different. Then supposedly it will be another 7 to 10 days. They need to learn better communication and customer service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

Safelink is NOTHING BUT A FRAUD ON THE GOVERNMENT! If our government continues to use Safelink as the provider of cell phone service for the low income and elderly someone needs to investigate WHY! Someone is benefiting from this company and they are nothing more than a bunch of incompetent foreigners taking our money! Someone needs to answers for this complete waster of resources!!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

A representative of Safelink named Michael ** signed me up for their service. I was given a phone that did not work and lost my previous service as a result of switching to Safelink. The company would not fix the issue and I was told that I would have to wait 30 days to re-apply. In the meantime I have no phone. Horrible treatment of their customers, horrible representatives, just an all around bad company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I went online and submitted my info for a Safelink sim card including my phone's serial number. I waited and received my sim card to be told my phone wasn't compatible with the sim card I was shipped. I was informed by customer service to purchase a sim card kit from Walmart for $10 which I did. Then after being on hold for 15 minutes and asking to speak to a supervisor I was informed that my phone was not compatible with any Tracfone service. I cannot return the sim card kit so I'm out the $10. I also wasted my time and effort. Customer service refused to do anything to resolve the issue as well. I was told I need to purchase a Tracfone phone. Not going to happen obviously. Terrible customer service!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Horrible company to deal with. I have emailed my application proofs and application ID number about 20 times. Keeps responding not complete! So worthless all for $10 which would help off my Walmart plan. Giving up!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I had to purchase the $40 plan with 40 GB of data because the others weren’t enough since I don’t have the internet where I am to use instead. It would work fine for a few days and then my data would go out. I had to call to get them to put it back on. Then it would be fine again for a few days and would have to call in again. The last time my phone went out completely, couldn’t make any calls and was basically stranded since I don’t have a landline to call anyone. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to call and talk to these people from India (I’m presuming). I was sick of talking to them so I had to use someone’s wifi to just buy a Verizon plan. I’m sure I had at least 30 GB worth left but I’ll take the hit to be done with these people.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I've had Safelink for 10 years and 6 months ago I had to reapply. Each month for the last 6 months I've been approved only to find out the next month my minutes weren't added. I usually have to spend 2 hours talking to get my minutes added, only to have to do it again the following month all over. Now the last 3 months they made me apply again because they said I didn't use my phone. I use my phone everyday! In fact I used 600 minutes out of the 1000 they gave me. When I point this out they give you the same answer that the computer says what it says. Well the computer also says I used 600 minutes so common sense... But they don't care. They say they were sending me a new phone 6 months ago, never came, say they couldn't do my application one month over phone system is down, have to send by mail. Takes 7-10 days. 3 weeks later never came. That's happened twice with application.

I called, talked to them another time, they had me opened under 5 accounts!! 5. If you ask to speak to a Manager they just switch you to a customer service representative, not a real manager. They all act as managers! They all read from a script. And this month they said I assure you your new sd card is in the mail. First off you assured me 3 times already with stuff that never came in mail, second I don't need an sd card. I have had at least 5 more issues happen to me because of them that I don't want to go into that will blow your mind with no sense at all to it, but I'm getting upset typing right now. I have spent over 10 hour the last 6 months on the phone talking to these people. They never will resolve the issue, or use common sense to correct the issue. They say I'm good till next year only to re apply the next month all over again.

I'm assuming because they have me under 5 accounts that would explain inactivity on one. Even though I have 1 phone and one account, that's obviously their mistake. Trust me you pay every month just talking to them. You can tell they hate talking to Americans and get a kick out of putting it to you any way they can. I have never left a review on anything in my life, but people should know what's going on. I have 2 surgeries, and doctors to call this week and can't because of them.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

If anyone needs a phone with Safelink, it's not worth it because the phone that I have I can barely hear the ringtone & since it's working fine, representative stated and I can still use it like that & device can't be replace... so I have to wear a rubber band around my head with the phone, so I can hear it ring... Safelink refuses to replace the phone. I am a man. The representative keep calling me ma'am.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I use to have an account and free minutes. One time I was a way so I didn't use my phone for 50 days. Then I tried to reactivate my account then the drama when I been asked to provide documents which I did by: text messages then by e-mails and later by hard copies. But those people they start playing games. It's like they don't receive it or they ignore my docs.. So I never get my account back.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Called because I had a lost phone. Says they will replace lost phone 1 time at or have your own TracFone which was said after the fact of the whole conversation and could not hardly understand the person I was talking to and they did not know their job very well! Customer service needs people that actually do their job or close down. Simple as that!

Original review: July 26, 2019

I can't believe this company is in business and they are a branch of Tracfone and probably paid for by the US government. They do not know how to help you with anything. I have even had representatives hang up on me while trying to get my minutes added. A waste of time. I have qualified for the minutes, if I could only get the minutes added. When I called to tell them I was not receiving the free minutes, I was told that the account showed that the minutes were added to my account. DUH. If they were added on paper, why are they NOT showing up on my phone. In my opinion this company is a waste of money. Don't rely on them to help you cause they just read a script and you won't get any help. I've been trying for months now.

Original review: July 24, 2019

Call about damaged phone. Was told I must return damaged phone first then I will get a replacement phone similar to the phone I have. They didn't send packaging for me to send damage Phone. I still have damaged phone. They sent new phone that is not at all similar to my phone. Font is so small that I need glasses to see letters. Letters on keyboard so small I can't text a letter without touching another. Also they cancelled my service 'cause they say I haven't made a call in a month when I have. Now they say I have to reapply. I can go on with more but I'm getting frustrated just writing this. They are terrible.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I assisted a resident in submitting an application in January, including all of the resident's personal documentation. I contacted the agency after not receiving any type of response six months later. At the time, I spoke with someone that spoke very little English. For each question that I asked, they read me information from what I would assume was an answer chart. The responses did not have anything to do with the questions I was asking. I requested to speak with a manager, but was placed on hold for over thirty minutes before eventually hanging up. I am currently assisting my patient in monitoring their accounts to ensure that there are no additional charges. Any company that will request all of your personal information, but never respond back appears fraudulent to me.

Original review: July 8, 2019

The phones they provide sucks and the service sucks. Customer service sucks too. Government needs to cancel Safelink all over the world. They give your broken phones so you can pay a lot of money for another broke phone. Do not get a phone with these people. Try other government phone service providers. SMH at Safelink.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had the "honors" of helping someone activate their new phone after their old one died and needed replacing. Easy, right? Not a chance with Safelink. The first call went about as smooth as driving over potholes after a long winter. This was where we found out that the SIM card that came with the phone wasn't the right one and we had to get one for a carrier in our area. New SIM card ordered, a few days later, it arrives. We call again and after several painstaking minutes (it seemed like hours), the phone is activated. Done, right? Not a chance.

It turns out that while the phone can make and receive calls, no incoming or outgoing text messaging. On the phone with them again and this time, they tell us that the new phone is carrier specific which is why messaging isn't working. I tell my constituent about this new problem, she calls and is informed that she has to get yet another SIM card. Ordered yet another one and with any hope which I strongly doubt, this should be the last call to this pathetic waste of a company.

Each time a call was made, we were told something different. There were times where their so called "customer service" tried to end the call(s) before the issue(s) were even resolved. Being informed after three calls that the phone was carrier specific...how is it they didn't know this the first two times we called and why wasn't this information provided on their website when the phone was being purchased? After that, being told we needed a new SIM card after already purchasing one and not a word about the phone being carrier specific this time. To top it off, the language barrier can be a bear to deal with. How it is they're still in business is beyond me. This is the company hired by our government to assist those who are elderly and/or poor? Wow, just, wow...

Original review: June 13, 2019

My Safelink phone broke and I needed a new one. First time I called they said they couldn't replace it but they can transfer my plan to another phone. Instead of buying a new phone I asked if I could use my old (only 1.5yrs old) MetroPCS phone. They said yes. I called a 2nd time with my old phone in hand after restoring it back to factory settings ready for them only to be told after giving them all the info of my Metro phone that I would have to call up MetroPCS to have them unlock my device from their service before they could continue. Something that they've could've told me that needed to be done the FIRST time I called when I asked about using my Metro phone.

I did a little googling and found that most phones come with an app already installed to unlock your phone. I easily found it in the Metro folder and after a couple of simple steps and restarting my phone all that took but 1 minute to do my phone was unlocked and ready. Something that could've been done while on the phone that SECOND time. So now the THIRD time I called thinking this is it I'm once again told there's more to do. Now they tell me I have to go out and BUY a Tracfone sim card kit and call them back once I have it. Said I can't use the Metro phone's card and I can't use the one from the broken phone. AGAIN SOMETHING THEY COULD HAVE TOLD ME THE FIRST AND SECOND TIME I CALLED.

The whole reason I'm trying to use an old phone is so I don't have to go buy a phone. Why not just buy a new phone then if I have to spend money anyways on some sim card kit. So I hang up laughing at them when asked if I'd like to do a survey that they will text to my broken phone I can't use and start googling again for the kit and other options. Never bought the kit and got my service working on my old Metro phone on my own without having to call them to do anything. All I had to do was make sure my Metro phone was unlocked from the Metro service, turn both phones off, remove batteries, take out the Metro's sim card and put my Safelink one in its place. Replace battery and turn on. DONE. THAT WAS IT!! That's all I had to do, 3 calls later and all I needed was Google.

My phone now has my service on there just like that. There was no need for a FOURTH phone call but I did it anyways. I was curious what they would say. So I asked them if I could just do all that I just did and they said NO!! Told me it wouldn't work yada yada! I took the high road and instead of chewing em out I simply hung up. Their customer service agents are either lying to you to get you to buy unnecessary things or seriously don't know **. I know this is a long review but hopefully it helps someone from the migraine of dealing with them. Lesson learned. Always google first.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Horrible experience. I've been using Safelink for years. It's always been great and I appreciate having it. Here are my recent frustrations: went online to do my annual renewal. Seemed to go fine, but I couldn't tell if I needed to upload any documents. It said I was "approved" but it also said "pending state of WI certification approval". I don't know if that means I need to send in something. I decide I will call the next day to find out. Meanwhile I look around the site wondering what new phones are offered (it's been years since I've had an upgrade). I fill out some info and I'm texted a pin. The pin is 3 digits with a dash and then the same 3 digits again (like 533-533). 7 spaces total. The space to enter the code is only 6 spaces long. So I delete the dash. It says my code is invalid. I try again and 3 times I'm texted the same code. Could never get it to work. It kept saying invalid code.

Finally I gave up. I guess I don't need an upgrade. The next day I call Safelink. The automated message says I may be eligible for a special offer. It asks if anyone in the household is 50 or over. Yes, I am. So I press 1. I'm immediately transferred to another company and a woman says she wants to send me, free of charge, a medical alert necklace in case I fall. I am hesitant (I am not very trusting... I think everything must have some hidden cost). This is not what I called for. She is very pushy. I mean... VERY pushy. She just won't take no for an answer.

After her 3rd attempt to convince me, I am still hesitant because I have no idea if there's some hidden cost to this and I say this to her (and maybe I'm wrong... maybe it is legit and I'm losing out on a good opportunity). What does she do? She hangs up on me. It was very rude, not to mention a waste of my time. So I go to the Safelink website again and try the chat feature. This was completely useless. All I want to know is if I have to upload anything for my renewal. The guy on chat takes forever to reply to my questions and his answer is for me to call the 800#, the same one that transferred me to the medical alert necklace. I tell him that, and I get no response. I wait and wait. He must have gone to lunch.

Finally I X out of the chat. What in the world is going on here? I try the 800 number again and FINALLY get through to someone who tells me I don't have to upload anything. Why can't the renewal just tell me that in the first place instead of making me wonder and having to track down a human who can try to help me. It's just been a very frustrating experience. I'm not sure I can recommend this company anymore.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My mother mistakenly ordered a sim card rather than a phone and Safelink is refusing to rectify the problem. Told me that she placed the order and now has the service on the card and needs to purchase a phone that is compatible in order to use. Then, even if she cancels the service, she will not be eligible until one year. I find it hard to believe that a company who is promoting this service does not have a protocol for this type of error. We are willing to send the sim card back for a phone but they will not accept it. I am at a lose for the lack of customer service and lack of help this company is providing. On all of my four calls, when I asked to speak to a supervisor/manager they all claim to be one. For a company with so many customer support people they sure do lack in quality service. So now the search goes on to find another avenue to find the service.

Signed,

Disappointed and frustrated

Original review: May 29, 2019

Bought a new smartphone to be used with new blood glucose testing meter. It wasn't a compatible phone, so had to return for a refund. Had to call Safelink to get an RMA and they gave it to me and the address to return it to. I returned the phone and waited for a month. No refund so called them and they tell me that I sent it the wrong address and that one of their 3 suppliers was the one that sold me the phone, receipt had Safelink on it & was on their site???? Now they have my phone, "Quality one" has my money and have been on the phone with Safelink for several hours for 2 days now and finally was told they couldn't send the phone to Quality one or back to me and it would be refurbished and resold to some one else & it's not even their phone to do so with! If anybody happens to read this and has a clue as what I can do about this matter, I would be very grateful for your help!!! I'm also switching to Asurion & dropping Safelink...

Original review: May 21, 2019

I lost my Safelink phone a couple weeks before I was sent new paperwork to redo a new application online. Once I did it they approved my application and I was given a new enrollment ID. Weeks passed and I call Safelink to see where the phone was and was told by one representative that I would receive the phone in 21 days from the day I called. I wait, weeks go by, no phone. So today, I called about the same issue. Now they tell me that my new account was added to an old account and since I don’t have the old phone they no longer send replacement phones.

I was told to apply next year to see if I was still eligible or I could buy a Safelink device and they would add my old number on it. This company is on serious **. They pretty much want you to buy their phones. For this to be a free government assistance program I should not have to pay to get a replacement phone. This is suppose to help people not scam them out of money. After I was told this I had them to cancel my account. This service isn’t worth it.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Someone stole my phone and Safelink TracFone let the person Who stole my phone call in and swap numbers and my benefits to my phone that was stolen that was bought on May 3. May 10 it was stolen. They let them access my account without my password. I swap phone numbers then I called them. I can’t do nothing with my account because I don’t have the serial number to my phone that the person stole. My other phone I bought on May 3 My husband lost it in a get run over. I called them to swap my stamp card to another phone. They tell me they can’t do it that day. Phone it was no good and assumes was nugget that I could try but it won’t work after 10 days. I have to go buy all new stuff. This is the worst company ever. They don’t ever resolve anything that you can offer and they let anybody do anything. I don’t recommend into nobody.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I am 70 years old lady, not speaking, writing or understand English, taking help of my known person. I had applied for Government free phone in February 2018 but facing different types of requirements company had asked for at different times. Recently the Company asked for proof of DOB which I provided sending copy of my PassPort along with copy of Social security Card. After having sent this, Again company asks for SS Number which is already provided, thus leaving me without phone for more than a year. My application enrollment Number **.

Original review: May 12, 2019

When you call Safelink, the person answering the phone, literally, makes you repeat your name, birth date, and last 4 of social, eight or more times (Yes, I recorded all of this, ). Then they tell you that they can*not* get a certain address to work, in San Jose, California. They say "call California lifeline, and get them to unblock the address". Called California lifeline, and California lifeline does *not* have the address blocked. They also pretend to not understand ship it to this post office "general delivery", (which California lifeline allows). Yes, the calls with California lifeline were recorded too.

I, for the record, have two forms of psoriasis, had a 9 cm ovarian lesion surgically removed, have another 3.2 cm (probably larger, ovarian lesion), have a 7.3. cm fibroid (likely larger) (low ferritin, low transferrin, & low hemoglobin, periodically, as a result of the fibroid), asthma, have metal in my femur, and hip (do *not* walk), am under the age of 45, and have numbness and tingling in the arm, hand, and fingers, on the opposite side of my body, from where I have metal. There's a strong chance I have psoriatic arthritis, as well. So, yes, I am disabled. P.s. I am *not* anywhere close to morbidly obese.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I've had Safelink service since 2016. And in the past 2 months, they've deactivated my phone TWICE (once each month). When I call, I can barely understand the people in India - or wherever - that I'm dealing with. When I can finally translate them, they tell me my phone was deactivated because of a lack of activity. I use my phone several times a month to call my bank and receive texts! Yet, their system says my phone is inactive! WHAT is wrong with them?! I'm going to look into either getting my TracFone re-started with a new SIM card or just using the phone for 911 if needed. This SUCKS because the ONLY way I can get into my bank account online is by receiving a text from them! Safelink is a horrible service because they are so incompetent!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

When you try to get any kind of help you are connected to a person that is not fluent in ENGLISH and less in understanding! If this is a federal program, why is it being run by foreigners? East Indians or whatever! Where do you go to, to talk to a English speaking person and why isn’t it here in the USA? One disgusted senior citizen!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been a Safelink Subscriber since 9-2018. At first, everything was wonderful. My phone is great, enrollment was easy on their website. Everything was fine as a matter of fact, until January, when for no discernable reason, my service was terminated by Safelink. When I called to see what to do to rectify it, they told me it was an address verification issue, and that is where my nightmare began. Rather than correct my original account, they had me reapply. Since then, I have made numerous calls and now have 4 separate enrollment accounts with Safelink, and I haven't gotten any minutes added since February 1st. As a result, I am having to "add minutes" via Tracfone, which wouldn't be bad if I could afford such things, but then why bother getting Lifeline services if that were the case. My recommendation is to opt for a different carrier for Lifeline services.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I've been trying to sign up for this no cost service, but it's been a NIGHTMARE from the start. Nothing but foreigners that don't understand basic English, they constantly pass you on to a different department. I submitted the requirement documentation that was rejected and all I get are excuses, like my EBT not being valid???? I use that same card EVERY month for food. I've been on the phone with them off and on for FOUR HOURS today. It asks for copies of my card, front and back...which I did, now they want letters. The website says EITHER ONE. This company is a SCAM, plain and simple! They even tried CHARGING me for a FEE SIM card. The government needs to intervene, because I AM entitled to this program at no cost to me!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I applied online 2 days ago to use Safelink again since 2015. I am disabled and can't afford a no contract $35 a month phone service with me moving out on my own soon. I sent a picture of my ID and SNAP cards and they emailed me back saying they wanted the pictures again because they did not get them and then I would be "approved". Which is what happened, however I have called them because I have not been given any tracking info yet but they say I should get the phone anyways. I am not always home so I like to be able to know when exactly I am getting my phone. I also want to port my current number to the phone too but I am tired of reaching out to them and being put on hold just do simple tasks. I am also hearing impaired, do they have anyone who speaks with normal American accents? I am tired of asking them to repeat themselves!

Original review: April 24, 2019

They offer you to be able to upgrade your smartphone online at shopsafelink.com where I made the purchase and received a defective product. I was given the wrong address to make the return so they get to keep my money by claiming to have no information.

Safelink Wireless Company Information