3.9/5 (619 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: May 14, 2021

They have no idea what they are doing and you will most likely be transferred to every employee they have. They all tell you something different and are a huge waste of time. Something as simple and straightforward as transferring a number is a week long headache. If you have ANY other option for a service provider, choose that one.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Forget the fact that none of them speak English very well and they are so not helpful. They did not send me a recertification and they did cut my phone service off upon me calling them. They told me it would be 30 days. Then when I got mad the guy told me don't get mad. That's my first warning like who is he my dad? Of course I'm mad. Second off he hung up on me and they would never connect the call back. He kept hanging up on me again. So obviously just one very rude guy works alone there because how would I get the same guy over and over again. Literally he just kept pressing buttons and waiting on the line or he would just hang up. STAY AWAY. Horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I purchased a phone from Safelink upgraded website. I received my phone and called to have it activated. It was activated but no cell service in my area after being transferred 7 times and me telling them that Verizon doesn't have coverage in the rural area where I live. They said, "We will send you a different Sims card." This was 6 hours later. I got the Sims card and of course it didn't work either. So they transferred me 5 different times. I got hung up on because I couldn't understand what the guy was saying. I call back and was transferred 6 times for them to say, "We will send you another phone." I asked this guy like 8 times to make sure it's at&t compatible. He said, "Oh it will be." I receive this phone and it won't pick up service either. I check carrier and it's on Verizon carrier. They tell me that at&t were working on their cell service to give it 48 hours. If my phone didn't work to call back next day. I get 2 more phones from Safelink.

I call them back after 48 hours and tell them the phone is still not working and that I received 2 more phones and they tried activating both of those phones as well in the span of 7 hours and 16 minutes later and being transferred 9 more times they tell me, "We are sending you packaging and label to send those phones back and when we get those phones we will send you another phone that's at&t compatible." I threw a fit but of course it did no good. Ok now I'm waiting another 3-5 days for the packaging to come. Well during this time I get another phone. I turn it it on and check carrier it says Verizon. I didn't even call them and tell them. I got the packaging and send all 5 of these phones back. I call them today to get a tracking number because they told me my phone would be shipped out the same day they received my returned phones. They got them on Thursday Dec 17th.

They have to transfer me twice and the last guy said, "Oh you received your replacement phone on December 11th." I told him yes I received a phone but it was still under Verizon carrier. He more or less said that the system decided with the information from my account what carrier I needed and shipped me the phone the system decided I needed. He couldn't give me a tracking number but gave me a reference number for the call I made to them today for me to call back in 3-5 more days to get the tracking number. I have been without a phone since December 7th. I am very sick with multiple health problems. I'm on oxygen 24\7. They do not care that I don't have a phone to call for help if I need to. I'm going to try another service. Safelink is a joke. I do not recommend safelink to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Representatives give incorrect info. Every time I call I'm told something different. They can't do anything without having to get a supervisor. I've called 6 times to transfer service to my new phone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My severely disabled son qualified for a free phone. What a nightmare this company is. The worst. Rude, incapable and unprofessional. What should have been easy was ridiculous. I kept getting transferred to people that had no idea what their job was. It took 174 minutes to finally speak with someone able to do the job they get a paycheck for.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I have been using Lifeline for over three years. I recently switched from Safelink to QLink. I am disabled and plagued with health problems and I live alone with no help. For four days I have been without cell service, which is dangerous for someone like me who falls down. Safelink shut me off without notice or warning on Monday November 30. QLink mailed the SIM card, but it’s sitting in a mail distribution center in St. Louis which cannot be processed until further notice because of COVID-19.

QLink refuses to overnight a SIM card and Safelink refuses to temporarily turn my service back on. I’m stuck in limbo without any service because of poor choices both companies are making. My phone number was with Safelink. However it was NOT to be ported over until the SIM card arrived from QLink. I was assured by both companies I would not be without service during the transition. They both lied and I’m the victim! Please help. Use extreme caution when picking what Lifeline service provider!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

2 weeks of daily agent sabotage each agent promising but to do is then again scheduling my service to end with either 12, 24 or 36 hours from then. Repeatedly changing my phone number sometimes telling, not always. My account was moved to a subsidiary, NET10 without my permission or notice as well. Not a single compensating and honest employee that I've dealt with to date.

Now they are refusing to turn my service back on until I get the new sim card in the mail that I can't get to without a phone and the agent hunt up on me after I explained this conundrum. I'm sorry I came here and promise to correct this ASAP myself. The stress of dealing with this has made me physically sick and triggered seizures, one caused a bad head injury and the last triggered a grand maul. This level of stress can kill me, I've never been treated so terribly and I hope no one else ever is either. Corporate is just as bad only more eloquent. I can say this, every agent was extremely pleasant. Aa

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I first switched to them because my Assurance wireless phone was almost useless. With Safelink when I first enrolled they gave different plan options. For 2 years they gave me the plan I didn't ask for. I opted for more data. Now they only offer one plan that has 3 GB data yet I don't seem to be getting all the data. The phone Safelink sent actually did work better and I did eventually get my own phone. I looked up how much web time I should be getting and was shocked to see that 1 gb data is about 20 hours of web browsing. I actually get from 6 to 10 hours. I do updates and downloading using wi fi at the library. I probably will switch and am disappointed to have to do this.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

My phone through them died THREE MONTHS AGO. I had to order a new phone THROUGH THEM/TRACFONE. They allowed me to buy a phone THAT WILL NOT WORK IN MY AREA! Dozens of calls, dozens of 'agents', three months later, the unusable phone has been returned, they were supposed to send me a replacement that WILL work here! No, they send me a SIM KIT! Many more calls, get a hold of some IDIOT that SWEARS they were only to refund the non-working phone. No, I talked to this Betty who supposed to be some big deal there, and was guaranteed they were sending a replacement phone! So, more calls, get it through the thick skull of some idiot I NEED A THAT REPLACEMENT PHONE!!!! So, what do I get tonight? Verification they're sending YET ANOTHER SIM KIT, AND NO PHONE!!!! I've got complaints in with the BBB and the state attorney general's office, but these people can't get ANYTHING right!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

All I tried to get them to do is activate a new phone. First phone call took eight transfers. I'll ask the same questions. No help whatsoever! Still unable to activate phone! And you can't understand anybody there! They will put you on hold forever then tell you they can't help you and go to transfer you to somebody else. Same thing happens until you just give up! Stay far far away from this company!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I purchased a phone to replace the free one Safelink sent me as the battery kept dying. When I received the new phone it was not what I ordered, nor could it be activated. I returned it same day. Now they say they do not have returned phone and their purchase receipt claims I spent $24.00. I have no phone and out the money because it was on a stimulus card from Duval county FL. Credit card company refuses to refund me. Worst service I have ever experienced.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Since March 2020, I did not receive any minutes for 6 months! My phone sent me messages to contact customer service when I tried to add the minutes. Every person told me the minutes were sent but I keep account of every minute! I should have received 5,000 minutes and received zero! What the heck? No one had had an explanation other that they were sent---but not to my phone?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Safelink c/s don't know what they are doing. All they do is transfer you to different c/s due to their tools not working, I was transfer 5 time and all were not able to help me due to their tools not working, some c/s speak a very bad English making it hard to understand what they are saying or their phone sound very bad with much static, Safelink has change for the worst.

Original review: July 20, 2020

If you want to be blown off and have money stolen from you then by all means deal with this company. My upgraded phone was not delivered to my address as delivery company stated and I was basically told to figure it out myself. After arguing with customer service about how most companies correct a bad delivery, I was told a ticket would be placed on the missing phone and still nothing.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have been receiving minutes just fine from Safelink but unable to use them due to the phone they sent me when they upgraded phone. When I got it I had service to internet and could use minutes. As time went on they removed all services except to be able to make a phone call or text. Service was poor when you called to tell them the phone isn't working. I built up over 27000 minutes and when my son bought me a phone from their company and I called them to activate and transfer minutes after being reassured this phone would update me and I would receive minutes. They only transferred 995 of the 27,000 minutes and said they had to get special permission to give me the rest of my minutes. Well of course the minutes were not approved and I was stuck with only the 995 they issued.

The government needs to send someone to check how safelink is cheating not only consumers but misusing and charging the government acct for services not being held up by the contract they signed with them. Whenever I try to use internet service or connect to networks I get the message, platform not supported... This is for all phone use except making a call or a simple text. When I first got phone all these options worked. Why did they reprogram my phone not to work and then tell me after this is a nonservice phone??? Why did they send me it then? Why did they say this was an upgrade when it downgraded services? Please can someone look into why they are getting away with this? More complaints need to be entered because I know plenty of people who get their minutes but phones are unusable.

We need an honest company to handle these minutes and services who won't make people receiving the service having their phones cut off from reprogramming by safelink after they receive the phone. I feel this is definitely being done on purpose so they can suck up as much profit as possible from government contracts. They are proving their company to be unworthy of trust to consumer and government.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I had worked in customer service for most of my career. This was absolutely the most horrific experience I have EVER had. Took over 3 days to try to resolve my problems, 3 days of misery, & I hung up again.

Original review: May 3, 2020

I ordered service from Safelink, and received a SIM card via US Mail. The shipping notification said it was coming via UPS. It even included a tracking number, which was invalid. So I put the SIM card in my unlocked network-compatible phone. I get no service. I call customer service at Safelink. I talked with three different reps, each one supposedly "higher up." Two reps repeatedly talked over me. One of them asked me a question, but did not even give me time to respond before asking again. Of course I had to repeat info with each rep.

After trying several fixes, I was still not getting service. They would tell me they were trying to update something but couldn't. They said the call was dropping, but it was not doing so on my end, so I don't know what was going on. After a ridiculously long and fruitless call, I was so exasperated that I tossed the SIM card and decided to keep paying for cellular service. When you go to their website it asks for your zip code, first thing. So why couldn't I get service from Safelink? I have no idea and neither do they.

Original review: April 30, 2020

My father had this service. According to Safelink SMS it was valid till 2021, however his phone was disconnected in April 2020, during pandemic! He lives in NYC Metro area, which is hot spot. He is 82 and we need this phone to connect, if something happens. I called to Safelink and message many times, asked customer service to restore service, they were unable to do anything. They asked different questions, they also said that this service ended in March. We never been informed about this. It is 4/29/2020 and his phone is still not working. We feel absolutely frustrated and just hope that nothing happens to my father.

Original review: April 26, 2020

At first I thought wow, in this difficult time of coronavirus here is help. Well once again wrong. After spending non-reusable time via web, email and finally phone where no help able. Safelink had sent me a sim card already activated!!! What? No help from customer service except to tell me to buy a new sim card. If I had the money to buy sims/mins. I would have stuck with my original phone carrier. Thanks for a Big Fat Nothing!

Original review: April 22, 2020

Every year is a nightmare to renew certification with Safelink. They never let you know when re certification is due. So this year I put it in my calendar to do so the phone doesn't just stop working again with no notice... Well, I called and did the renewal information over the phone. It is important to mention that I am my brothers legal voice and his power of attorney.. That means I am the only one that can legally speak for my brother!!! Also, my brother is in a nursing home and is currently under quarantine..

So after my call to re certify him, they told me all I had to do is get registered with Lifeline and his phone will be all set... Lifeline approved him immediately and they told me to call safelink with the approval number (lifeline was wonderful). When I did, they told me they cant recertify my brother with out talking to him. I explained multiple times why this is not possible. He doesn't understand what they would be talking about. They told me that is the only way to re certify him. I told them they are discriminating (disability act) because he can not speak for himself legally... I am done with the games they play and I'm thinking about calling an attorney for being discriminated against for his disability!!! And this is supposed to be a company that helps people!!!!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I received an email in November 2019 from Safelink saying I needed to log in and verify my mailing address was correct because it was time to recertify. I did this. After waiting 7-10 business days and not receiving my recertification form in the mail, I logged into my account to see if I could access the form there. I could not. My account said it wasn't yet time for me to recertify. I called Safelink and asked them to send me another form. I told them this had happened to me a few years ago and that Safelink had assured me then that it wasn't time for me to recertify yet a few months later they shut off my phone. I called over and over again. No one would help me. They insisted I should disregard the email and that it wasn't time for me to recertify.

I received another email from Safelink in December saying by now I should have received the recertification form in the mail and that I needed to recertify or they would shut off my phone. I had not received the form in the mail. I logged into my account and once again it said it wasn't time for me to recertify so I couldn't access the form there.

The email said I could recertify via one of 3 ways:

1) the paper form I was supposed to have received in the mail. I could not recertify this way because I never received the form despite having my address correct in their system.
2) a web page with an embedded link. Still to this day if I click on the link, no page ever loads. I was never able to access a form going that route.

3) a phone number that, when I called it, sent me to an automated answering system that asked for a number I was supposed to have received on the letter I was supposed to have gotten in the mail but never received. I subsequently couldn't use this method.

With no means to recertify and flashbacks to this happening to me a few years ago running through my head, I called Safelink repeatedly, begging to be sent a recertification form or to be given access to one online. I explained this had happened to me a few years earlier and they had left me without a phone for weeks and that, as a single mom with no other phone in the house, I couldn't go through that again.

I cried. I begged. I swore. Nobody would help me. They kept telling me that it wasn't time for me to recertify (which is what it said when I logged into my account) and assured me that my phone wasn't at risk of being shut off. One Safelink representative told me they changed how you recertify (they did) and that now my state automatically recertified me and they could see it in their system that I was approved for services moving forward. Since this was my first time being given the aforementioned 3 options before to recertify, so this was in fact a new method of recertification, I eventually decided to believe the countless representatives at Safelink who said my account was in good standing, that I needed to disregard the emails, and that my phone wouldn't get shut off. I wasn't getting anywhere calling them anyway.

A few months later, in the middle of the pandemic - when other phone companies are saying they won't shut off your phone even if you're behind on payments - my FREE phone service was shut off. I used a Google Voice number to call Safelink. OVER AND OVER again. Several representatives insisted my phone wasn't shut off and that I'd simply ran out of minutes. I normally get minutes on the first of the month. My phone was shut off on the first. When I pointed out that I couldn't have ran out of minutes I was never able to use, some would dig in deeper and still insist that I had ran out of minutes and that I could simply purchase more. Some would admit that they did shut off my phone. One person eventually gave me a web address I could enter to reapply for services through the National Verifier. I immediately applied through them as well as through Safelink.

I have no friends or family around. I'm a single mom. Aside from Google Voice, which Safelink kept saying they couldn't hear me good enough and often hung up on me from, I have no other means to call out. And I definitely had no way to call when I was out picking up groceries for myself and my child, who I'm supposed to be leaving home alone instead of taking with me to stores right now. I need a cell phone so I can properly supervise her (I was using Wyze Cams and my cell phone to supervise her from stores). The National Verifier immediately confirmed I was approved for service upon applying. I waited for days. Safelink would not approve me.

I called Safelink. And called. And called. For an entire day from approximately 10 AM until 6 PM. I heard a lot of different reasons why my phone service was being denied despite being approved through the National Verifier. The top reason I was given - Safelink representatives kept insisting I hadn't been approved through the National Verifier. I three-way-called with Safelink and the National Verifier repeatedly yet they still insisted I had not been approved through the National Verifier even though they were saying it directly to Safelink. Not only that, but I kept losing signal on Google Voice and would be on hold forever only to be disconnected or hung up on due to not being able to hear me. It was aggravating.

Finally after a whole day of begging and sobbing and asking to speak to supervisors, one "manager" said I was denied permanently because she said I was refusing to follow her directions. Her directions were for me to apply through the National Verifier. I told her I had applied and had been approved. I logged into my account. I told her I saw in big blue letters "approved." I asked her what she wanted me to do next. She kept telling me to apply through the National Verifier. I explained that you can only apply through them once (something she should know already) and could not be any more approved than I already was. I asked what she wanted me to do next. We went in circles for a long time before she said I was permanently denied service through Safelink.

I asked her to send me to another supervisor. She said she WAS a manager. I said I wanted someone other than her. She said there was no point, they'd tell me the same thing. I insisted. The next guy asked for the same information every other representative at Safelink asked for - name, birth date, last four digits of social security number. I provided this information like I did for the dozens of other people I had called. The next question was if I had my enrollment ID. I provided that. He asked again for my birth date.

He then explained the problem was that I had accidentally bumped a wrong number when I re-applied for services on Safelink's web page. This made it so they weren't linking up with my approval through the national verifier. I have clubbed thumbs and struggle to type on a cell phone. It was a simple mistake that I could not see on my end. All I could see was that my service hadn't been approved. Not my birth date. It was a mistake that every single Safelink representative I called COULD have seen had they paid attention. I had spent an entire day calling Safelink and giving every customer service representative my birth date and not one of those people noticed the birth date was wrong.

I went through panic attacks, emotional distress - all for nothing. The first person I called should have noticed this mistake. This should never have happened. This guy proceeded to tell me I had to reapply for Safelink services online to fix the problem. He said it would be another 7-10 business days before my phone would be turned on. I began explaining to him how it wasn't my fault my phone was shut off in the first place and how, with social distancing being mandated in Washington State, a hot spot for the virus, having a phone was more important now than ever. I explained I had called in November and December and begged to be given access to the recertification form.

I was suddenly transferred to an automated message saying how I could legally request copies of my phone records from Safelink. I don't think it was a coincidence. I think he was suggesting I get the records and prove I had called Safelink repeatedly in an effort to keep them from shutting off my phone yet they shut it off anyway. I've gone over half a month with no phone service during a pandemic due to no fault of my own. And this happened a few years ago as well - not the pandemic part, but the part about having my phone shut off for weeks due to no fault of my own. Both times I asked for the recertification form and both times I was told I didn't need it.

DON'T go with Safelink - unless you're fine having your phone shut off for weeks at a time and being told you can pay for minutes out of your pocket if you don't like it. They don't consistently provide access to the recertification form and WILL shut your phone off even after insisting they won't. Customer service representatives don't know what they're talking about, they provide misinformation, and they can't problem solve simple issues like someone accidentally typing an 8 instead of a zero. Save your sanity. Go with another lifeline phone service if it's available.

Here it is the 16th of the month and I still have no phone service. In the middle of a pandemic. I can't check on my daughter when I go pick up her prescription today. So I have to choose between bringing her to a store and risking she will touch her face (she bites her finger nails) and between leaving her home alone with no means to check in on her. She's in grade school. I don't feel comfortable doing this. Shame on Safelink.

Original review: April 14, 2020

These reps are terrible, they don't know what they are doing. I get transferred and transferred, and stay on hold for 40 to 60 min. They say they're working on my account and leave me on hold. I hear hammering in back round, a damn rooster. They ask for your information over and over again. They have you record your answers over and over, because next person can't find it or it isn't there. The damn excuses are endless. I have been trying to get my service activated for the past month and half. That is what free wireless service gets you, a headache and irritation. If your identity is ever stolen it would probably be from here, like seriously.

Original review: April 12, 2020

I have used Safelink for some time now and never had no problems that customer service couldn't resolve on phone. And have service nearly everywhere. Safelink also give its users extra data as well as monthly plan minutes due to coronavirus which is a plus in addition to affordable plans not covered by Lifeline service.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I have been trying since December 2019 to get up and running with Safe Link ONLY because they are now the only providers in my area to offer AT&T compatible service! Quite by the insidious trapping practices of these fly by night service providers I lost my 3 years straight of perfect service with Life Wireless, using my own phone. They also now use T Mobile which my phone (perfect, new, just finished paying for AT&T compatible phone) is not compatible with! I will copy and paste my entire notes on my numerous attempts to maintain service with them - as they continuously make some error and wind up disconnecting my every 30 days ... causing me to go without needed service for weeks at a time (single elder female living alone with cancer). The real problem is that NO ONE CAN HOLD THESE JERKS ACCOUNTALBE.

1. The Feds create a program and the cheapest way to administer it is set up contractors in each state as in... 2. California Life Line Administration is paid by the Feds to provide free phone and internet service and devices to qualified individuals and the best profit margin they can concoct is to contract that responsibility out to ... 3. INDEPENDENT GHOST PROVIDERS UNDER OTHER UMBRELLAS ARE PAID BY CALIFORNIA LIFE LINE ADMINISTRATION to do the job they are contracted to administer but .... 4. They don't even know these fly-by-night providers that we have to deal with and cannot hold them accountable for refusing qualified individuals their right to this federal program!!

I am filing a complaint with the CPUC but it does seem that will be challenging as they do not have a department for filing against Federal/State programs and no one knows these come-and go phone companies! I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE UP A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST THE CA LL ADMINISTRATION. Please help me make a noise so we can be heard. We have a right to this service and these schmucks that are handed down to us to provide it are unacceptable!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Buying time was great but the network that they have me on stopped 3g service. This program is government funded that came with a free phone and 500mins 3gb of data. Getting mins no data and they want me to buy a upgraded phone.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

They are an okay phone company just internet lags a lot but texting and calling works perfect. Takes good pictures and videos and apps are okay on it too.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Handset is a tiny LG candy bar with a 2" (two frakkin' inch) screen. BTW IT'S 2020 NOW SAFELINK, toss YOUR smartphone in the trash and see how YOU like it pendejo. They say I have voice, text, & data. Text works great (apparently they haven't figured out how to FUBAR it yet). Phone not web/app capable for my data... OOPS. Voice drops out/in at random BOTH directions on 9 out of 10 calls. Tech support says I need to call back on another phone so they can test the one they gave me???? WWhat OTHER phone??? I'M BROKE DINGLEBERRY. THESE PHONES ARE FOR POOR PEOPLE EINSTEIN!!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I became familiar with SAFELINK Wireless about 6 years ago. I was in a bind financially and my mother couldn't reach me most times when she called. (Due to me not able to pay bill). She suggested I apply for the free phone and benefits from Safelink. I was hesitant but I applied then qualified and have been using them ever since. I purchase a great plan every month at an awesome price! The quality of service is great and customer service has always been helpful. I would recommend anyone to give them a try.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Tried to switch to Safelink. Customer Service was no help. AT ALL. Stopped trying to apply by phone and sent in paper applications twice. A Significant amount of time was between both. I got no response from the first application. I called and I was told they never received it. Months later applied again by application. As I type this complaint I have heard nothing from safelink. I started the switch in early 2019. Up until now February 7, 2020 I have no phone service that I've tried to apply for.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I called to disconnect my phone because it was stolen. I was told I could reconnect within 72 hours. When I called back, I was told it would take 1-2 months for the enrollment process. I was told by employees in Central America and India that I should be grateful to have free phone service. My tax dollars from when I was working my whole life are going to foreigners who say I should be grateful for what I have.

Safelink Wireless Company Information