Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Safelink Wireless Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I agree with all the negative reviews. The experience is so bad that I now believe they are purposely trying to frustrate the customer to the point where you are desperate enough to PAY for a few minutes while waiting for problems to be resolved or your phone to be turned back on or arrive. I have placed approximately 50 calls and talked to that many reps and supervisors over a six month period and I have only had two tell me the same thing. Everyone else said, "They shouldn't have told you that" about the other agents. You give them the info they need and they said it's either not enough or they never received it. Phones don't work - it's your fault; system doesn't work - they don't know why; they don't understand what you're saying - it's your fault, again, even though they are in foreign countries and it's hard to communicate with them; you're rejected - it's Lifeline's fault, not theirs. You call Lifeline, and they say it's Safelink's problem; etc.

I must say something else, I have had Safelink for about 4 years and everything was fine until 2019. I don't know what happened but you're in the Twilight Zone with these people, now. We need to urge the powers that be to open an investigation. I tried other companies but from the response I got it seems they will all be just as bad. If anyone has a little money to spend on a phone, you might be better off using Lifeline's discount program instead. You'll have to get a plan from a company such as AT&T and you very likely will qualify for a discounted rate. Thanks for all the reviews. It helps to know you are not alone!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Since day one I have not been able to use the plan's data connection service. I at least have voice service and text service but the data connection has never worked. I have has 3 ticket numbers and still I have not been able to get any answers or help. Each agent I speak to says they have to go through the same basic steps for me to speak to someone to check the status of my service. That is a huge waste of time for myself and the company. From a company standpoint, why are you paying your employees money for something that will not work? You're giving money for free away! Haa ha that's so bad business but good for the employees. Thanks for that Safelink Wireless but customers like me will never EVER EVER refer anyone to your service.

Sure, this is a free government plan but nothing is free and if there is another company that the U.S. government can contract then I will switch in a New York minute. It's almost like all these call centers in the Philippines have the same script and it is designed to not help customers. I mean just look at other review websites like Google or Yelp, yea even this one! This is such a horrible service that I prefer having nothing instead of it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I've been getting my monthly minutes on the first of each month. This month I haven't received any minutes and I'm unable to make or receive calls. My service end date is in April of 2020, so it's not that. I've called 3 times and I've gotten 3 different replies. The first time I was told it was fixed and the minutes were added. It never happened. I called again and was told it would be fixed and I would have my minutes and be able to use my phone within 2 hours. Twenty-four hours later and still no minutes and still unable to use my phone. I called a third time and was told it sometimes takes 5 or 6 days to receive minutes, so I should be receiving them in a day or two. In the meantime, assuming I do get my minutes, I've been without my phone service for 4 days now. I'm a heart patient and this is totally unacceptable. I'll be looking for a different carrier.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

We've been having issues with this Safelink for months now. I do not understand how the phone that has service can take calls, but cannot send out texts. This issue even happens with the phone connected to wifi as well. The person we were talking was rude and did not want to help with the issue. She just had us restart the phone and claimed it was the service. Since she did not understand what was going on with the phone, we told her we wanted to talk to someone else, she placed us on "hold". We could hear everyone talking for over 30 minutes before it went to a computer message that ended the call. Worst customer service we've ever had.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I have been with this company on and off for a few years. At first they seemed great, until more recently. I mean, you get a free phone (assuming you didn't already have an account through them), but even so if you have to buy one through them, the prices aren't that bad. So there's not much to complain about there. What I'm more upset about is the fact that their workers are SO incompetent, and don't even do their job. I accidentally broke my phone a couple months ago, and I've tried countless times buying new phones to replace it.

I bought 2 phones, one after the other. And they couldn't activate either on my number- and they were Tracfone, so they SHOULD have worked (at least one should have!) Their excuse was an error kept popping up, and I had to "wait 24 hours" 7 times during a duration of a WEEK. They couldn't "fix" the problem. After that, I was fed up with having a shattered screen and tired of hearing the old "wait 24 hours" so I yelled at them, telling them that I've been TOLD to "wait 24 hours" for a WEEK, and they "fixed" it and got one of the phones to "work". Which of course meaning it wasn't working properly. I wouldn't receive calls or texts, and anything outgoing would be sporadic. I got tired of that, so I once again transferred my number back to my old, shattered phone and that worked a lot better.

More recently, I purchased a phone from THEIR WEBSITE. And I tried activating it online 5 times, and once over the phone and there was errors. So I tried again this morning, and it wasn't working. I called customer service this morning and was yet again told to wait 24 hours to call back! I don't know what the deal is activating a new phone to transfer your number with them, but it seems like a pattern that I don't want to deal with any longer.

I appreciate that it's a free phone, but that doesn't make it hassle free, I suppose. But the customer service is AWFUL and should do their JOB; what they are paid to do like everyone else! So honestly, if you are looking to bring your own phone, you should probably steer clear and try to find another free phone service because they only seemed to go downhill from what they originally were. I will be returning my phone and cancelling service through them, myself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Short story. I was with Safelink for four years. Then, for the first time ever, I added extra data on a one time basis. That was on the 17th of August. A few minutes after that, they cancelled my service without notification. My service ended on Sept. 1st but they are still billing the government for my September phone time. FRAUDULENT COMPANY. I've talked to twenty people since. First, they said I would have service renewed with a couple of hours....then a couple of days....finally they said my only option was to purchase time with Straight Talk, their other company or start all over by applying for a free phone.

Their final reason for cancelling my service was that I had moved. I never moved and live in government housing so the government confirms my address monthly. I am on on full ssdi. They are preying on the elderly and disabled by cancelling their service and making them believe they must use their credit cards to buy time from Straight Talk. Ironically, I have had to purchase this ripoff phone TIME in order to renew my service with another company and report them to the government.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

In July, I applied for free wireless service & free cellphone with Safelink Wireless. Shortly thereafter, I was approved and awaited my new cellphone to have it activated only I didn't receive a cellphone, I received a Sim Card to activate in my own cellphone for their BYOP (bring your own phone) program which I did not request. For a couple of days I tried getting in touch with Safelink by phone and by email to clear up any confusion.

Finally reaching a customer representative I went over the issue then gave her my account information telling me that I couldn't request a cellphone after having received a Sim card for their BYOP program and said Sim Card was already activated in my own phone. I asked her several times to check the information again and tell me when the Sim Card was activated, she became extremely rude saying "You know you had the card activated," so I asked several times to give me a phone brand and model that said Sim Card was activated in and the date. She just continued ranting and screaming at me as if she had a personal issue telling me the info I asked and so I ended the conversation by requesting the Sim Card be unactivated. I've had no contact with Safelink Wireless since.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

I would suggest that no one ever use SafeLink wireless for your mobile service. They are not reliable, they have no good customer service, and they are not effective in resolving issues that you have with them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Review Safelink. These companies don't offer a free phone and minutes. They have to participate in the universal service fund. They need your name and they want your information. In 2018 I was a Safelink customer for a year. I got cancer so I purchased unlimited minutes and texts so I would have a reliable phone number. Safelink turned off the phone for 5 days. I didn't realize it until the 4th day. It took 2 more days to get the phone back on. Safelink still does not have an answer for why they did this. Being too sick to deal with anything at this point I went back to the monthly "free" plan. In December of 2018 I stopped receiving data. In February of 2019 I stopped receiving minutes and texts. After 4 days of calling I never got a straight answer. This is as close as I got.

Safelink says it deactivated the phone due to inactivity. 2 representatives said it was deactivated in June 2018 and 2 representatives said it was deactivated in August and/or September of 2018. I used that phone, the minutes and the texts on it every day as my sole phone number the entire time. So I went through the reactivation process where 7 representatives assured me repeatedly that I would just get a new phone in the mail until the 8th representative that said they need the verification to go through in 7 to 10 business days before they will think about troubleshooting the old phone. Then Safelink shut off my old phone while I wait 5 to 7 business days to arrive by the slowest mail they can afford. It's now been over 120 hours I've been with my phone number turned off!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I am on the $1,000 a month plan with SafeLink Wireless. I have purchase additional minutes. In September when SafeLink added my minutes to my phone, the additional minutes that I purchase also disappeared. When I call SafeLink Wireless to inquire about the minute that I purchased was gone, they told me to give them 24 hours to investigate the situation. I reach back out to them 24 hours later to see Kenny if they found a resolution to this problem. SafeLink told me the minutes that I purchased is gone and the time was up. I have purchased those minutes two weeks before the date when they added my minutes so how was they gone when I just purchased them. Do not purchase any additional minutes from this company. They are so thirsty and money hungry that they will not give you your minutes that you purchased. From this point on I will just use the minutes that they give me!

Safelink Wireless Company Information