Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.32/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: March 30, 2019

This is the worst customer service that I have ever had. They sent me the wrong phone to start (it only works in another county which are 30-45 minutes away) and refused to help rectify the situation. Safelink gave me wrong advice every time. I asked about where to get the Bring your own phone sim card kit; the customer service rep was not having it and show he could care less. Next, when I finally got a phone that would work, I called numerous time to get them to transfer my benefits. The customer service reps said that they would, but never did. This crap has been going on for almost 4 months, if not 4 months.

Today, I called (after 7 am, on Saturday 30, 2019) and explained when this crap started and asked "Why are you making this so hard on me -- I did everything you requested of me?" I said, "I have done to deserve this crap!" I also explained that one of the previous customer service was a real ** to me for no reason. "Now, I ask you, If you have done everything requested by them and this mess keeps going on. Do I not have the right to tell you like anyone else?" --- You are wrong for my mistreatment.

People, I do not get upset unless I am disgusted and tired of mess being thrown at me. I have tried to do what was asked of me. I have been recording these people and I know they should to, but how do they keep getting away with this? Who is taking note? Earl was a real ** about the whole thing and sent me a classy note of his contempt because I told him that Safelink had some real jerks.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I am homeless and filled out an application for a free lifeline service though Safelink. Being homeless leaves me with no physical address. I listed my Brother address (W/his permission) to his physical, and also his PO box for mailing purposes. They have a checkbox [ ] if this is a temporary .address for which I checked. I was asked to show proof of residency, my name and a bill with that address on it. I said I can't because I don't live there. I am homeless. They told me to get my brother to write a letter saying that I live there.

I don't live there and I am not going to commit fraud and should not have to commit fraud to get a phone. I should not have to ask my brother to commit fraud, and help me commit fraud in order to get the lifeline service. I then would also violate my SNAP benefits by living in my brother's household and not reporting that. I would then lose my food stamps benefits and then lose the lifeline service in turn as it is based on my active SNAP benefits.

I want to know HOW this program can be put in place with a complete disregard for the homeless? In fact designed to specifically keep homeless people from getting the service it was made and set up for in the first place. It is very obvious that the lifeline service is nothing more than another Gov. scam at the expense of the Homeless. Getting the taxpayers' money dumped right into the phone company's pockets by the billions for a service to help the homeless that they don't have to deliver. On top of that they design a system that promotes FRAUD and ABUSE of the service that allows them to substantially increase their profit margins. A system set up to help the LESS FORTUNATE that has cost billions of dollars and you set it up to NOT include the lowest people on the LESS FORTUNATE side??? Discrimination. Fraud. I may be Homeless but I am still Human!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Very frustrating company but not a scam as some people are asking online, they just have a tendency to send you around in circles, ask for the same thing several times and repeat themselves on the phone like a broken record and if you ask a question their robot brains can't compute... crickets lol.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I phoned on Thursday of the previous week to request a new phone (old one was over 2 years old and not working well). The agent never said that she would deactivate my service. The phone worked fine until Friday afternoon when the service cut out and I was unreachable. I phoned Sunday evening to ask them why and they said that the new phone would be delivered Monday with the old phone number associated with it.

#1 Why cut the service to the old phone in the first place?? Does it make sense to leave people in limbo until the post office delivers the new phone? Other companies would simply transfer the old phone number to the new phone when the new phone arrives!

I asked the woman to please re-activate the old phone until because there was no guarantee that the phone would arrive on the scheduled date, but she insisted that I not do it and explained everything would be fine. I acquiesced thinking it would be just one more day. Phone arrived Monday, but was not working, so I called to activate. The agent mumbled something about the transfer of the old number to the new phone needing 24 hours. How can it possibly be 24 hours to transfer a phone number in 2019?! Again, I accepted thinking it would be less than a day since it was already Monday evening. Tuesday morning, still no service and after a one hour phone call during which I explained that I had an important meeting in just a few hours and absolutely needed my phone to be working, The agent said that I would have to either take a new phone number or wait 24 hours--yes, again!

Today is now Wednesday and after all of the wasted time on the phone and insistence that the phone service would re-activate after 24 hours, the agent I spoke with this morning said that the old number was "deactivated long ago, possibly months ago and I would have to get a new number." I told her 1) I used the phone just a few days ago, so it is not possible that it was "long ago" and 2) I have submitted applications for many jobs, apts, etc and that was the number on each application. It's not just a phone number, but it is how I am identified in certain systems. I would have never requested a new phone had I known it would have been this problematic.

#2 Why was that not explained from the first phone call?

#3 Why is it so problematic to transfer one phone number to a new device.

#4 Why have me go all through this, essentially lie to me stating that it was a matter of a 24 hour wait only to tell me in the end that the old number was gone?

Horrible customer service, horrible company.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been on the Lifeline wireless phone plan for 18 months. The plan started with 250 minutes and 500 GB of data for free. It is now up to 1000 minutes of talk and 1GB of data for free. If you bring your own ATT, T-Mobile phone or unlocked phone then you get an extra 1 GB of data for the first month. To access your account online you need to find your enrollment number. Customer service is fine but not perfect. You really get a lot for a free plan, especially if you get a quality Android compatible phone to use it on. The main advantage of Safelink is that you can use any compatible phone. Other companies limit you to cheap dedicated smartphones that lack a lot of features. Just by qualifying you get service equivalent to about $30 per month. I like them a lot.

Original review: March 20, 2019

When applying for service over the phone good luck trying to get your information submitted. I could barely understand the questions read to me due to a language barrier. After agreeing to all the statement The representative goes to listen to my submitted information and says that it’s not clear I had to re-record it about four separate times and at the end of the call she said it was poor quality. They seriously need to update their computer programming or Recording devices because I couldn’t of been any clearer. I ended up going with a different company! Save your time and effort and find another carrier.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Worst customer service I ever experience. First no one speaks good English so you can understand them. Second, they read a script and never address the issue. I was on the phone for days with them trying to recertify even though I tried to recertify online and was told it was not time. I finally received assistance through the certification company who also complained about them. Then I could not keep my same number since they are sending me a new phone because my phone is outdated. I don't understand with so many complaints why the government is not reviewing this company.

Original review: March 12, 2019

If you purchase the not truly unlimited plan...after 12g stops working and just buffers. Rip off. If you call them they lie and say, "Oh no we have not slowed it down." They do nothing but take money. Boost Mobile is only $10 more dollars a month and they are unlimited.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My SIM card got stuck in my phone and I couldn’t get it out and I called to report my problem but they couldn’t do anything about it. It’s a waste of time to get one of these phones. I could have gotten a replacement phone or send the phone back because I don’t need it if I can’t use it because the SIM card can’t be read since it’s pushed too far in the SIM card slot.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I joined the club... of disgruntled SafeLink users. My complaint is similar to everyone else's complaints from the last 2 months. They're really messing up over there and it's at a point where I think an investigation should be conducted. Seems like the company could be engaging in monopolistic practices associated with subscription cancellation/delay in service. "Well you could just buy some more minutes", they say. I refuse to give in and I don't have the $20 minimum purchase. Safelink is no longer a SAFE LINK for the underprivileged. I've been without a phone for over a week now. They started sending me warnings back in Oct. 2018 about re-certifying, only to get the runaround and time wasted to hear, "Sorry, it was a glitch. Just ignore those. You don't need to re-certify till January." Long Story Short: They should be investigated and this needs to be fixed. It's not like there's payphones anywhere around here anymore.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I receive government assistance in the state of Kentucky and because I qualify for it, I also get a Safelink Wireless cell phone with a limited amount of talk and text. I received a text indicating it was time to recertify to determine my continued eligibility for the use of that service. When I called, the rep was speaking so fast and her English was so broken that I had a severe problem understanding her. She began yelling at me and this call that I have made many times before took about 35 min to complete as opposed to the usual 10-15 min.

My mother just passed away a few days before this and I was so stressed out by the outrageous behavior that this extremely rude lady was displaying! I almost hung up and forfeited my right to have this service! Also, at one time during the call, we were disconnected, again, not my fault. When this foreigner from New Delhi, India, called back and my phone's caller ID displayed the words "United States" which pissed me off even more! PLEASE!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Terrible company. Very bad customer service. Service days on phone were getting less and more were not being added on. Noticed this plenty far ahead of time. Went to the website and it said that they needed some documentation updated. Ok, should be pretty easy. They give a number of options. Emailing it, uploading it, etc. So spent time taking pics of the paperwork, etc. Tried those options a bunch of times with no luck. After emailed kept getting an automated response to put the account # in the subject line. Which I had done the first time. And tried again. And again. But it never worked. And there was no way to actually email a person. Even after the automated way didn't' work. So now tried to upload the documents from the site. Did that a number of times but it never even gave any indication that it went thru. Let alone if it was all taken care of. It never was.

Then tried the customer service chat at Safelink. Takes way too long to get anyone on the chat. When finally did had to go thru numerous people to find anyone that seemed to know anything. One of them said I needed to buy more minutes. This was after I let them know it was for the free minutes/days phone program. It was also after I told them I was asking about the service days going down and not being replaced. And I actually had plenty of minutes. So, had to explain that all again for the how many ith time. Eventually was told it was all good and days would be added on at next minutes/update. Well, surprise, surprise that never happened. So then went back on the chat. Again had to wait way too long to chat with anyone. And had to go thru numerous people. Including asking for and eventually chatting with more than one supervisor, entering and being asked about the same information numerous times.

Eventually they confirmed my account number was correct, etc. But they didn't even have any online customer service for updating the information! Or any email contact, etc. Only option was to call. So, tried calling. And you guessed it, didn't go well. Took a looong time to get thru. Way too many buttons to push while listening to the automated computer voice. Way too slow, too many repeats, etc. Finally got a person on the line. They talk way too quiet even after you ask them to speak up. And very hard to understand. But eventually they said everything was good. But were rude about things including wouldn't say about what had changed. Because they didn't even ask about updated documents like the website said they needed.

Waited patiently for days as the service days on the phone kept getting less. At this point it is down to just a few days. Called again. After that they still didn't fix the issue. Then tried the internet chat from their website again. And after going thru a bunch more stuff on there again, they finally got it fixed. And there never was any mention of them needing the documents like the website said. Which was what started all this in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I like the other 683 people being Scammed and Fraud being committed against the Fed Gov for the money they are receiving as a Federal Program have been repeatedly been told our addresses are not valid through the USPS. After submitting 20+ documents, I have been told that my address is still invalid. These included 3 State documents, 2 Federal documents, my tax return, and many other documents I wouldn't normally give to anyone other than family and I'm told they're still not valid documents. Seriously???

I have spent more than 12 hours on my son's phone arguing with these people. I am looking for others who are now fed up with the game. We need to expose this kind of fraud and scams and change this entire program's staffing from the top down to the last person at the bottom with more competent people. Please join me in bringing this to the media and our President. If you can tweet, send to @DonaldJTrump and @FoxNews so we can expose them!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The customer service from this company is next to non existent. They will not give you a mailing address in live chat and will not answer your questions over the phone. When you ask to speak to a supervisor they will tell you that you a talking to a manager and that they have no supervisor above them. They are basically liars and incompetent. My best advice to avoid this company if at all possible.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I of course looked through the reviews before I started writing this and I noticed something peculiar. How many people's service was canceled on February 3rd, 2018? Theirs, like mine, were canceled because they didn't recertify. Okay, true I haven't recertified yet. Mainly because I was not notified that I needed to recertify and also because my SERVICE WAS GOOD THROUGH FEBRUARY 27TH, 2019. Okay I haven't recertified but why was my service cut when it should have been available for 3+ more weeks? I just got a job on the 1st and now I have no way to be called or to call them and check on a schedule. I was able to contact them and thankfully they understood my dilemma but this B.S. could have cost me this job. I sent in all the required information and I still don't have service. What in the actual ** is going on with these people?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I'm having the growing realization this service is nothing but a scam to steal tax payers' money. It really needs to be investigated. They will not give you a phone no matter how much you qualify. For a one year 6 months I've been sending everything asked for: social security, ID, birth certificate, bills, proof of benefits, ect, ect hearing nothing in return. When I call I am told that I was approved and a phone is coming. Nothing comes. Calling back I'm then told differently that I am now denied needing to re-send ID, SS and proof. I send in the documents asked for. No letter or Email confirming approval or denial. Call back being told they received them, but now have to resend the application.

I resend the application, only to be told I now have to re-send ID. I send in ID- and guess what- they want me to send it again. And again. And again- each time admitting they received the prior. Then they want me to re-send my SS# because I had covered up all but that last 4 digits (I was instructed to do this prior). Then I am told a new application needs to be filled out. Then to re-send my birth certificate, ID, etc... and again... and again. The cycle goes on- I've done this at least 16 times giving them more than what they ask for. No one will give me an answer as to why I am being rejected nor have I ever received anything back from them.

Which leads me to customer service which is beyond words awful. 3/4 of the reps literally speak a 50/50 hybrid of English and some other foreign language making the conversation absolutely incomprehensible. As such I cannot complete an over the phone application. When I finally get an English speaker, he says I no longer have that option because I kept asking for other reps. They become rude, yell and scold when when you rightfully ask them to repeat themselves or slow down. One rep even kept referring to me as "ma'am" and "Miss" (I'm a guy) and asked what I was doing with a man's ID when I'm supposedly a woman.

Asking for a superior leads to just getting transferred in circles and if you ask them to clarify anything they just hang up. I've spent hours a day with what probably amounts to over a hundred reps (thus far) and all you get are baseless accusations of committing fraud, lip service, blame, or a full blown foreign language. The whole experience leaves you drained and enraged. After all this I am starting to question their legitimacy or what their true motives really are. The fact they have amassed my most personal information now scares me.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My service was finally cancelled on Feb 3 2019 and I called their offshore customer service and was transferred to 3 or four different departments talking to people that spoke broken English and they told me it was cancelled because I did not recertify annually. Safelink is a very incompetent organization. They did not believe me when I told them I have not recertified in five years and I have tried to stop service every month. This lifeline phone thing is a broken system - typical of a wasteful government programs that don't work and cost taxpayers millions of dollars. Do yourself a favor and avoid these kinds of offshore scams. Most all of these cell phone companies I noticed have the same overseas setups that are doomed to failure.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My Dad is 82 and has a Safelink phone for a few years and has had nothing but trouble with both his phone and customer service. He received notice in Mid November 2018 that he needed to recertify (annually) so I filled out the recertification and faxed it over. I called customer service a week later to confirm that everything was in order and they told me that the application was approved. On February 4, 2019, he suddenly didn't have any minutes. When he called support they said his service had been cancelled.

When I called support they said someone had processed a new application instead of a recertification so nothing was done because he already had an account. He never received notification. So they made me reapply online and said that it would take 24-48 hours to get minutes added to his phone. When I called back to confirm, they told me that it was going to take 7-10 business days and WOULD NOT transfer me to a supervisor or anyone else. The next morning my Dad called me on his phone so we have no idea what happened. Sooooo frustrating!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

While I am a former SafeLink customer, who had NO trouble, with service, for over three YEARS, after my SafeLink phone was stolen, and even though SafeLink has ALL of my documents ALREADY on file, SafeLink has INSISTED that I file DUPLICATE documents, before my service can resume. Problem is, SafeLink WON'T tell me WHY they are insisting on DUPLICATE documentation. This is why I caution others, about using SafeLink. IF the service will NOT tell users WHY they need DUPLICATE information, then HOW can users trust this service?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I got a letter in the mail 7 months ago about renewing my lifeline services even though I had to buy another phone in January of that year. I tried to renew my services online at Safelink Website but it showed it was not time to renew my application. At the beginning of the next month I have no service so I call and told that I have to renew my verification, so they connect me to the person to verify and I'm told I don't have to verify and my service is turned on again. This happens every month for the last 6 months after. In the last 2 months, twice a month! So you can understand how frustrating it is for me.

I just had it shut off last weekend and had to call and have it turned on, and again yesterday on January 30th. I called and the people aren't very bright. They can't even write a note on my account every time I call, at least to have to keep me from explaining my situation over and over again. It is the most frustrating to have to explain your situation over and over again. The person named Denise told me I had to renew my verification online at Safelink. I go to Safelink.com and am told I have to call Safelink. I finally just cancelled my Safelink account so they can't receive money from the government to provide me service. They were not providing me services for free! I don't have lifeline services at the moment even though I am disabled and it was the only phone I had but I will find an application to use through my internet for the time being.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

People beware of this company. It is the worst. They speak very broken English that you can't understand and they lie. I started applying in early Nov 2018. Sent, mailed and faxed everything they asked for. Finally in Dec 2018 the hours and the time I have spent dealing with this company was a full time job. Always check again in 48 hrs. Nothing ever changed in that 48 hrs. Finally in Jan 11 2019 checked my account with them. It said all approved. Will receive my phone in 7 to 10 working days. That time passed. Spent 2 more hrs on the phone. Nothing again. You will have in 7 to 10 days scams and we are paying for this. I am disabled with no lifeline. I have printed and logged everything and if I have medical emergency I will sue this comp for putting people's life in danger. WHY IS NOBODY DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Had some issues with my Safelink phone, call them and they said my phone was not working correctly and they would send me a new one. I asked that they NOT stop service on the old phone because I am a senior and I could activate the new one when I got it. Yesterday my current phone said "Unregistered Sim", so now I cannot get calls or make calls. Called again this morning and was told they had registered the new phone and my service on this phone no longer would work. I said "I asked them not to do that", he apologized, so now I am stuck another 3 days with no phone. Terrible way to take care of customers, I am not impressed.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I asked for a replacement phone because the one they sent me is defective, after talking to seven agents and was given the runaround, they finally order the replacement but at the same time deactivated my service and now they are saying they can't find my account. I emailed ten five times my benefits evidence. Still deny receiving it, when I chat with them knowing they deactivated my phone service they asked me to call them, I'd like fun for them, I need my service back as I'm still enrolled and I am missing my doctor's calls with treatment needs, these people are putting people's health in jeopardy. I hope this site can help you stop these people abuse, I also filed a complaint with the BBB. I hope I can get some help, thank you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I will not ever deal with this company ever again. Crooks! I was told I used a deceased person's identity. They asked me to send several things. One of the things was proof I am living. I felt like a criminal. Our Department of Human Resources did not recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Started with SafeLink. All was well, upgraded to smartphone through this company. The new phone didn’t work very well so called to exchange. Was told it cannot be replaced. I paid for this upgraded phone. After some time I was able to contact them again and was given the instructions to purchase a different phone. They gave me the specs and required phone for compatibility. Even the names of acceptable phones. So went out and purchased a phone they had recommended. Went to active with SafeLink and was told the phone was not compatible. Was instructed to buy another phone. I cannot afford to purchase another phone. Now I am receiving notices that I have not been using the SafeLink phone. So what am I supposed to do now?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I have been applying for Safelink since last year. I applied online for Safelink, I submitted all documents required online. Every time I call Safelink they give me different answers, and they keep sending me applications. I have sent back the applications back with the proofs required, but to this day no phone has been sent to me. Today Jan 20, 2019 I called again and they said that I will not receive any phone 'cause I already have one, which is not true. Many of my neighbors have more than one, I have none and they keep saying that, but if you look at my application it clearly states that I am approved and qualified.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Was on the phone for 2 hours getting transferred to four different people that I had to explain everything all over to and spell everything for them. Tried to use the Bring My Own Phone feature with a Tracfone sim kit I purchased. They either didn't know what they were doing or their computers were "processing". Are they running Windows 98 on dial-up? The last 4th person hung up on me after telling to hold on. Going to try it one more time then it's back to Verizon.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have literally spent 15 hours in a period of just short of a month with this company trying to get this phone hooked up. All they do is transfer you to other people who receive no information about previous contact. They claim you have no minutes, and will add the minutes and the phone will work in 1-2 hours, or other specified times (always changing) and the phone never works. When you call back, they do the exact same thing and ask you to wait again another specified time. They give you reference numbers that have no meaning because you just do the exact same protocol and they have no information of previous calls. They do not seem to care that you tell them that you go through the exact same process over and over again. They either transfer you, hang up on you, or tell you the phone will work in the specified time, but it never does. It's an endless loop.

Cannot really call it a scam, but it is the most inept people I have ever dealt with. And because they require you to lose the old service on the phone you want to hook up, I no longer have my old plan to fall back on and I have not had a phone for almost a month. No records are ever kept and the customer service reps have no interest in resolving the problem other than to transfer you to be someone else's problem. It is a horrible company and the complaints are almost always the same complaints, and they are very legit.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I decided to apply for Safelink last year after having a bad experience with a previous phone company. I knew all of the steps I'd have to go through when it came to the application process, so I was ready. According to my enrollment status, all of the information I submitted was accepted except I needed to provide DOB proof. Not only did I email, but I also sent them text messages containing a picture of my state ID. The only thing I received was confirmation that they received my messages. Apparently, a picture of my ID wasn't enough for them. Then I started getting forms in the mail from them that I had to fill out and return with proof included.

Not only did I send them a copy of my SSI Disability paper (which included my date of birth, address and age) but I also sent them a copy of my Social Service letter regarding my income. Both proof letters were sent in November & December. Weeks went by and no word from them whatsoever. I decided to check my enrollment status today, only to find out through the website that my application was rejected (with no statement as to why it was rejected.) However, the "DOB Proof" status still said, "Required". I won't be applying with this company anymore.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Don't ever get anything from them. Husband been on phone for 2 hours with Corporate trying to get my SIM card in my phone to work which came out of their phone. Can receive calls but not make calls. Been transferred to different departments and nobody can do nothing or don't want to. Very poor customer service. Then had the nerve to ask my husband if the service they provided him was satisfactory. They didn't do anything except give him the runaround. Then they hung up on him. That was very uncalled for. Very very unprofessional. Instead of our government shutting down they need to shut down and use that money from idiots that don't know how to do their job and use it to build the wall. Will never use their service again and I would advise anybody else not to use them. Non English speaking idiots.

Safelink Wireless Company Information