3.8/5 (680 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2023

Safelink has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They have stolen my phone number, won't give it back, yet provide no call or text service. I spent 5 hours with different incompetent reps, yet still no service. Don't use them. Don't give them any personal information. This appears to be a phishing scam. I complained to the FCC. And plan to file a Medicaid fraud complaint as well. Just don't, is all I can advise. It's not free, if it doesn't function.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

Shady business. If you value your time, stay away from this company. I was referred to them via LifeLine. They continually disconnected my phone service. To resolve any issue be prepare to spend your whole weekend to restore service. They never provide the full service you qualified (LifeLine and ACP). Everyone in CS, is a manager or supervisor and they hang-up when they can't resolve the issues.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

First of all I have had a phone with Safelink for about a year and it has been complete **. I was in the free lifeline program. I would only receive 2 weeks of service a month because the funds had to be added to my account manually from the government. The only good thing about them was when they sent me my first phone it wasn't out of date so I was able to stay with new features. Then my phone started to have technical issues I was under the warranty with my phone so they sent me a new phone that was better than the old one then they must have messed up in that department because they sent me an extra phone with it.

Well the day I went to activate the phone come to find out I was no longer active in the program so I had 2 new phones but no service. Their customer service for the lifeline department is the worst. They don't want to hear anything you have to say if it's not on there computer they're not trying to do a thing about it. They will hang up on you and have you calling back at least 30 times until you make them take a call back number and even then you will still have to call customer service and start the conversation over for the hundredth time. I hate their customer service with a passion and their service is mediocre just because it's a government program doesn't mean it has to be so full of **

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

I signed up with them and was approved pretty fast. I received a phone but the sound didn't work so they sent me a replacement phone. I got the replacement phone and took my sim card from the none working phone and put it in the replacement phone. Sometime later they disconnected my service. I called and they stated that I was supposed to have taken the new sim card sent with the replacement phone and put it in the new phone to activate it. Problem is that they didn't send me a sim card with the replacement phone. I was told buy a new track phone card and call them to have activated. I did just that. Track phone called me and said that they couldn't find my phone number to activate the card. So therefore I needed to purchase a plan from them to continue getting Safelink. So through!!! I canceled my service and moved on.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Several calls and days, but nothing fixed for months. Everything needs to be done over the phone. And with needing cellular service, that is an ignorant requirement. There are no pay phones or complimentary phones around me. All those calls, emails, hours, and being passed between every department, all wasted effort & time. I have absolutely nothing good to say about this company. They are supposed to be working with the government. But, everything is wrong and your fault. Call this number. Back & forth. It's pathetic for any service to treat their customer like this.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

Poor signals (poor coverage). Service disruption is frequent with many unexplained outage. Very frustrating and ineffective customer service. Long wait on the phone for a customer service representative. And when or if the customer finally reach one, the communication with the representative would lead to nowhere and only a waste of time.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

I have had Safelink Wireless for a while but the customer service has gotten worse over the years. When it was time to apply for the ACP, even though I qualify for the program, I tried several times to have Safelink apply the ACP benefits and was denied saying that I didn't qualify even when the Lifeline reps and ACP reps said that I qualified. Have been going back and forth with this company to get my services straightened out and still nothing with the ACP addition. I have had auto refills on my plan with minutes and data for years but all of a sudden I woke up one morning to have my phone disconnected with no way of making or receiving calls or text messages.

Called the company several times to speak to a customer service to resolve issue. I was told that my phone would be up and running again to turn the phone off then on, and to no avail that issue was not resolved. I had to call back 6 times and sometimes I would get a rep, that person would try to transfer me to another Dept only to get disconnected on the call several times. I would call back in and the phone would automatically disconnect whenever I tried to press one of the options to get to Tech Support or Customer Service.

It was not until the 7th call that I actually got another rep to assist. I advised her that I am totally frustrated with this process and my service has been affected with noone able to explain to me why and how this happened. This is a huge disappointment because I have had Safelink for years, but I am not sure if they have merged with another company because when you call in it will say thanks for calling in to have a Straight Talk experience and then also have Tracfone in its auto messaging but then when you speak with a rep that person says thanks for calling Safelink Wireless.

I am just confused all the way around and very frustrated with the level of service that I have had to experience. I used to be able to call in and have my issues resolved under 5 minutes when talking to Customer Service, now it takes several call-ins to rectify any situation and you have to be persistent and be an advocate for yourself to get anything done on these calls. The Management team needs to really do some upgrades in Customer Service training and create better self-service options to be more efficient. If you have call-backs as an option then it should put your number in queue and actually get a call back -- not disconnect your call. I am really considering moving to another Wireless company at this point!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Applied for and approved for ACP program on 10/25/22. Never received phone, and called repeatedly to resolve issue. They won't answer any of my questions, and have hung up on me repeatedly after transferring my calls to an eventual hang up or dial tone.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

350 minutes of talk time vs 1000 minutes for the competition for LifeLine services.. And while I had them my data completely stopped working 9 times in a week.. I had to call each time and sit on the phone for over an hour each time to get it resolved due to 'an issue' or mistake on their end each time.. I had their service for a month, had to 'retop' my minutes and data twice to the tune of $25 (and I never leave the house\wi-fi and make very few phone calls in a month), and then missed important doctor and business calls and lost a job because of it.. Go somewhere else if you get lifeline service...

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

When your service is working it's great, no dropped calls or problems. However you pay dearly as out of the blue you have a disconnected phone, a changed phone number whereby your phone is working under the number you know however on their end has a completely different number so no calls are documented so then you're completely canceled and have to re-apply. I've been disconnected 9 times today. Been on since 9 am. It's after 3 pm now, this has really helped me financially. Its all adds up, but I'm done with Safelink, it's gotten worse after merging with Verizon. Now you are not able to speak with a manager. Customer service with the government plans appears to be nonexistent. I notice bad reviews on other lifeline providers. I don't know the answer other than choosing a low-cost plan on my own.

Safelink Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

Safelink Wireless Company Information