Safelink Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Wow. Just wow. This company forwarded a broken phone to the client right out-of-the-box. OK, so we BOUGHT one of their "special" phones - Lasted a few months. Pure junk. They made the client spend $42 to have it turned on. Then six months later it failed, and suddenly their service was designated as "pending." They couldn't buy another - No one sells phones to work with Safelink - And they couldn't switch to another plan because they were in limbo there... While Safelink got the stipend - And kept the $42. Time for a GOVT overhaul of this bunch of pirates. A class action suit wouldn't hurt, either.

I have a plan with them to pay $15. per month then I suppose to get unlimited texting and messaging plus 500mb internet access. On May 28, 2017 my phone disconnected due to the expiration of my plan, (although they have my credit card number) then they have my service back next day on May 28, 2017 and that's not OK. On June 1, 2017 my phone get disconnected again. I kept calling the customer service whom they told me there is nothing wrong and they connected me to the Technical Support Department whom they made a lot of check to my phone and they said it might be an outage in my area and they found nothing, finally they asked me to have my phone off and turn it on. I did but nothing changed, they told me to give them 4 hours and start using my phone again, that was since June, first 2017.

Finally my phone back and they told me I have only 293 mins rolled from month May!!! I asked them, "Why you rolled those mins. from May when I suppose to have 500 mins by June, first, if I don't want to continue on my unlimited plan as I have been notified by them", after that they send me a text message on June 5th, 2017 telling me that I have 458 mins to use in June. Last night June, 10, 2017 they disconnected my phone for the 3rd time and when I called the customer service they told me that my mins expired!!! And I am not going to have any mins till June 15, 2017??

Those guys they own this company seem to me they are not American and they are away and behind from the business law in USA and quality and standard of the telecommunications business, I wonder how come the government of USA gave them this contract of fulfill people benefits and they are not honest, cheaters, they made forgery and fraud to the customer mins. This money is the tax payer money. The money that the company gain should be audited by the highly official teams because it is a millions of dollars and these guys playing with our money. The government has to terminate this contract from them with the charge back money fine plus any possible charges against the owners as soon as possible.

I read other reviews on Safelink and surprised to see that they are "not" just for the impoverished on food stamp, public housing, or SSI, SSDI. I was under the assumption that is all they did. My story is that I am on gov't assistance due to disability and "had Assurance Wireless". I was happy with them and only one problem that got fixed last year. A woman with multiple tattoos claiming to be from DCF in Pinellas County, Florida was going door to door in my public housing complex. She happened to catch me coming out in my wheelchair to wait for my van. She caught me off guard. Asked about me getting a phone and, I told her I had one from Assurance Wireless. She said, "You can't have them anymore only Safelink. Assurance isn't on the program so, you have to switch phones." (I phone out today that is FALSE statement and a ruse.)

I asked to see her badge and it did say DCF but could've been fake (FLORIDA is the biggest SCAM state in the country). She then told me that she had "permission" from the mgmt office to be here and was the 3rd day in a row. She showed me names on a computer of other residents that signed up. I was taken in so signed up. However, I explained I had to have my phone and not the "fancy" phones because of my hands (holding anything but a small phone is all I can handle). She yes'd me to death. Stupidly, I gave her my info. Later when I returned home, I called the mgmt office to find out about this woman. I suspected she might not be legit. They had not ok'd anyone to be there at the complex. Nobody from DCF had permission. I then, called the sheriff of Pinellas County Fraud Dept.

They took a statement. Then, a few days later I called and they said, "Safelink does this all the time and it is legit. Just that she lied to you". I didn't think I would get a phone but, yes came in the mail and I put it away thinking...if I don't activate it; I am fine. I will just send it back. Well, you can guess what happened. My Assurance Wireless was disconnected. Account even disappeared. I called them and they felt bad I was taken in by Safelink and that I had to wait 60 days before reapplying. Safelink didn't require 60 days...just took away my Assurance services. So, right now, I am paying .10 per minute for each text and talk. At least, I have a phone. The gov't should not be giving all these out to people. I see many that already have phones so, this is a 2nd phone for them. I have a basic small phone and do not want the "FANCY" Google, iPhone, smartphones.

You, the taxpayer, is paying for us to have these phones we don't need. It is wrong. So, I am left almost without a phone. I was able to put some money on it with a debit card. I can't get out to post office to return the phone. It is a mess. I can't qualify for any other free phone in other companies. You have to use their phones that I can't use with my hands. Safelink is deceitful. She did break the law as no soliciting is allowed here. But, the mgmt company did nothing. That is my story. I can't make phone calls or texts. Has to be saved for medical calls only. Wrong to do this to someone. Thanks for hearing me out. Doubt I will get a message regarding this issue.

I'm allowed a free cell phone and minutes from Safelink Wireless as part of my health insurance plan. I first tried applying online but wasn't able to because it kept saying my DCN number was required even though there was no place to enter my DCN number. So I called them and requested they mail me an application. Over a week later and still no application so I called again and they said it should be coming in the next couple of days. Waited another week and still no application. I called again the middle of May to request another one be mailed to me and a week and a half later, still no application so they said they would mail me another one. I said "NO: If the first two didn't come, the third one won't either" and requested to be transferred to a manager. The manager told me I could go online to my account and print off the application form (not sure why the first two people didn't tell me this).

So I printed off the form, filled it out, and mailed it in. A week later, my application status online still said "Pending. Application required". I called them and the woman I spoke to said that they had received my application but that they just haven't entered it into the system yet. Several days later and it was still "pending" so I called again and the man told me that they had never received my application. So basically the first woman had lied to me. The next time I tried to send in my application, I faxed it in case somehow the first one got lost in the mail or something. I faxed it yesterday at noon and my online status still says "pending" so I called back today and the man told me "It may take 2-3 business days for them to enter it into the system". I'm pretty sure this was also a lie. Why would it take up to 3 days to confirm that they received a fax?

This company is absolutely horrible. Everyone speaks with very thick accents that are hard to understand and at one point, while expressing my frustration, I said "I've been trying for over a month to get this phone and keep getting the run-around and haven't heard so much as an apology." You would think this would be the perfect time for the customer service person to apologize, but no. Silence on the other end. They refuse to apologize or take accountability for providing horrible service. I have no hope that I will be receiving a phone. This has to be some sort of scam to receive money from government-funded health programs without actually providing the service they are supposed to provide. I guess my next step is to call my health insurance provider and ask what I'm supposed to do in this scenario. These are scum bags. If there was an option to give them 0 stars, I would.

This is the worst company and worst consumer experience of my life! I am on my 9th phone call to them. Frankly, I don't have the strength (I'm 70 yrs) to repeat all their errors, hassles, no phone service network especially indoors, the nastiness of their personnel and horrific attitude to not solve the issues. I will just concur with the many accurate complaints with Safelink Wireless listed here. It's all accurate - I concur and that's my experience too. How the Federal Government allows this company to provide such widespread fraudulent services is beyond me. The company is ripping them off and us as consumers! DISGRACEFUL. With all these negative reviews surely you must see a pattern! The service is so disgraceful if I was the Federal Government I would remove their certification to supply free government phones! Someone ought to look into that!! This experience is really absurd!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

I called Safelink today at 8 am. 11 am was told to give a call back. This went on for 6 times. Finally got a supervisor at 6 pm to tell me my minutes would be put on my phone between June 2, 2017 to June 5, 2017. I always get my phone minutes on 1st of month. I called Tracfone 3 times my phone carrier. They said, "Safelink don't release the minutes until a certain date."

SAFELINK LIFELINE: Glad by chance saw this site. Was looking up how to get past their site, to contact someone higher than their line. Had cell phone for three months, and can't even begin my story. Sad minutes are counted when calling. Since March 2017, used 89% of my minutes. Last Friday used all of them, after 1 hour or so, said to call back when I get more minutes. Hope they don't get those funds. No voicemail, minutes. I have to call to do manually, and so on! Can we get past (611) number? Past supervisor? And email someone higher from the state to read their reviews. I need to rush, but if I had more time this would be a letter.

Where to start? If I could give them ZERO stars I would. I used them for years. No issues. Then back in February when I moved to a new home I misplaced my phone. So I called to get another one. That's when the nightmare started. Even though I already qualified and recently re-certified, they made me close my account and start fresh. I filled out a printed application when I found out that I could've faxed it. So to "speed" things up I called them to fax and it was rejected because I already indicated I'd be mailing it in. RIDICULOUS. So I mailed it and after a week heard nothing. I called and they said I already had enrolled in a different program. NOT TRUE.

After two days and 3 CSRs later they said it was rejected because I didn't fill out the form correctly. I asked of the issue and they said, "You wrote the word "proof" on top of the application". I said " So how bad is that? You wanted it on everything else I submitted. You understand I only lost a phone and already qualified, right?" So I faxed it again. Finally, a week later I got my phone but it had HORRIBLE service. Never had that issue. I called and was told it was a SIM card issue. THREE cards TWO months of ** later the issue was never corrected. I gave up. In that span I dealt with no less than 6 CSRs and every one of them was rude as soon as I started asking questions.

This may be a stretch... but I find it quite a coincidence that everyone is "suddenly" having all these issues with customer service and technical issues from a normally reliable company that's outsourcing jobs to 3rd world nations right around an election who has a candidate pushing to "bring jobs back to America". HE SHOULD. I never felt so screwed with in my life.

Unbelievable! Applied Feb. 28, it's May 30 and still no phone! Documentation required after 3 attempts including pictures sent of a Husky D card and a letter explaining the situation. Calling customer service is like playing roulette with foreign countries they outsource to. No help at all, moronic, they only will tell me "it might be" one of many problems. WHAT ABOUT EXACTLY WHAT DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED MEANS?! I would not recommend this company to anyone. The reps read what's on the computer screen and have no knowledge whatsoever. Seems like there is no US contact to be had. If there were negative stars for ratings, I'd give 'em 5.

My phone was disconnected twice without any warning. The customer support is so terrible, they should all be fired and replaced with those who know what they are doing. Their system don't update in real time so it's impossible to have a working cell phone. I would not recommend their service to anyone. They kept claiming my address had another lifeline service in the house which is not true and when I asked how to clear the problem, they said apply March 2018 a year later. That's absurd.

I rarely use my cell phone and was on the 150-minute roll over plan for years. I had accumulated over 6400 minutes. A few days ago I happened to look at my phone and noticed that I only had 340 minutes left. I called customer service and after a long wait time I finally spoke to a lady who did not speak English very well at all. She told me that they changed their plan a year ago and that's why I don't have those minutes. I explained to her the minutes were on my phone a few weeks ago. She went back to her BS story. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

Supervisor gets on the phone, had to explain situation again. After her putting me on hold for several minutes she told me she saw where I had 8000 minutes. So she put me on hold and called a department. After a few minutes she came back to tell me they said I used all my minutes. I told her there is NO WAY I used 6000 minutes (going by what I remembered I had) or 100 hours. Long story short. My minutes are gone and they will do nothing more.

I've used Safelink since around 2007. They have sent me 2-3 phones but I have bought bunches of phones. They just sent a replacement and I don't use much and the battery runs down in "1" day! I'm scared to ask for another one. They might BITCH at me! Asked for a smartphone and sent me a piece of junk! I've been thinking going to another gov't program! I used to believe in them but no more!

Safelink is dropping ALL ACCOUNTS for Not renewing service so they can change business models and force existing customers to choose their new plans. Safelink no longer wants to have ROLLOVER MINUTES. So if you received a very surprising email saying your service is canceled and you did not actually receive a heads up to renew and you got canceled that is because they did not actually want you to have a option to not change your plan which is fraud. WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. THEY STOLE OVER 3 THOUSAND MINUTES OF MINE BY CANCELING THE PLAN FOR NO REASON. They simply want existing customers off of their rollover minute plan so they can get us on their new plans of no rollover unlimited for 15 dollars. New business model is fraud to get you off the old plan without your wanting a new plan. >>> Email me for a recorded conversation with them about this situation **.

I did my application online 4/13, and submitted verification immediately and was told that was the quickest way to be approved. Well I was not processed until May 2, even though I submitted the proof multiple ways. I checked my status which said the phone would be mailed out within 7-10 business days but there was no tracking info listed so I called and the rep said not to worry I should receive it. On the 11th business day I called and a woman told me that she sees it's been processed and I should receive the following day. I waited until 7 days later to call. The rep (who couldn't really follow what I was saying) finally told me that my status never changed to enrolled and I should wait another 7-10 days.

I was upset and told him that's unacceptable and asked for a supervisor but he said he was the supervisor. I told him that I wanted to speak with whoever is above him and he said there is no one. I had to let him know I was not leaving the line without a resolution and he transferred me to "corporate..." At 9:30 p.m. after the customer service department closed... yeah right! Anyway it was the escalations department who told me that a phone was never mailed out and the problem was with the enrollment department and he had no power to help me. That I had to call back the next day to speak to enrollment.

Well today is the next day and a man asked what I needed and said I'd reached the right department. There was no empathy. He placed me on 8 minutes of silence and I had to confirm if he was still there. He said something and said he'd be back soon. That was 20 minutes ago and I am still holding. Now he is totally gone from the line and every 10 mins I hear a second of hold music. If you have read my rant, go with Assurance. You get more minutes and slightly better service.

I was eligible for the free phone from Safelink... However they left me in a very unsafe situation. I had my phone service shut off because this service was to be activated on May 18, 2017. I was on the phone with them for six hours yesterday trying to get the service to work. Finally I went to bed and tried again this morning. Since 8 am I still have no service. I cannot call from an alternate phone as their promise to activate had me try to save a little money and cancel my service. Now they expect me to walk a mile in 40 degree weather to call them from a pay phone to activate?

I have no problem contacting them on "the phone". They say "oh it's fixed. Just shut down, restart and make a call"... "Sorry you are not able to make a call." I call back... They tell me "Call back in 4 hours..." I do. Still nothing. I ask them "Seeing as you are having an issue with this SIM card could you cancel this and send me the free phone..." They say no. Now I am stuck with no phone at all. And they stopped helping. Unless I walk that mile...

SO if you plan on getting the free phone... DO NOT CANCEL YOUR REGULAR SERVICE until you know you are covered in an emergency... Right now I am disabled without a phone. I either have to walk to a pay phone. Remember I was on the phone with them for 6 hours yesterday? I cannot stand that long at a pay phone.

I received a free California SafeLink cell phone 9 months ago now and just reading some of the negative reviews shocks me because for 9 months now I have had my free cell phone and I have had no issues with it. Works very well. I use it everyday, several times a day now, and no issues at all. I have been very careful with a protective case. I keep it charged. I keep it clean. I have never dropped it. It still looks brand new after 9 months of use & it still looks brand new out of the box. Some of the very negative reviews makes me wonder why do these free cell phone people are having issues? Could it be they cannot manage their life very well?

I spent almost a week dealing with the customer service. They would give me a replacement phone so I had to buy one and the companies they tell you that are compatible, oh they are, but they don't tell you that have to buy BYOP activation sim card that will work with your account. For example my service provider is NET10 through SafeLink and they told me to buy a BYOP sim card activation through TracFone, which could not work with my net NET10 service which I don't understand that because Straight Talk, NET10, TracFone and there are phone companies and to there all part of SafeLink and safelink goes through TracFone and be careful when getting upset with tech support. If you cuss or anything they will threaten to shut your service off.

I have been a customer for Safelink for a long time and I was happy, but because I only received 500 minutes, I needed more minutes, so I decided to accept an offer of unlimited minutes and data for only $15. The problem was that I never receive the free minutes after that, although they promise me to return me the 46 minutes left over from March. I was supposed to receive my free minutes in May and I never did. I called customer services and they told me that they will give me the 500 minutes, but they never did.

I had to call again and this time, the technical support was able to fix my phone, because I wasn't able to make or receive phone calls. They told me that I didn't have to worry about not seeing my 500 minutes on the phone screen, as long as I was able to use the phone. I never thought that accepting an offer from Safelink will bring me this problem. Anyway, now I am able to make phone calls by now, I hope that I can continue being a customer.

Safelink owes me money for two cell phones I bought on their website; one was bought on Dec. 26, 2016-- would never turn on ($39.00). The second phone bought on Jan. 7, 2017-- barely worked at all, had very bad reception. When I finally could get through to Safelink one day-- had to use speaker and was the only "person" I ever got through to. I paid through PayPal and needed to know where to return the bad phones. Safelink NEVER got in touch with me--- NEVER has. I have written them FIVE LETTERS to them; wrote to the Attorney General of Maine and two other government agencies due to the fact that Safelink is paid for through the US GOVERNMENT!!! Safelink owes me $189.00 total. Anyone else out there who has been screwed over as I have???

Have been with them since 2007, different states, transferred service. I too received no text/call, to re-certify my Lifeline assistance. They dropped me like a hot potato! Recovery? I had to reapply. My nightmare started Feb. 2017. No internet, they mailed me their enrollment packet. WHAT A JOKE! From their Fax It Back- get your phone in 7 days (2 sent, two different fax numbers) 1 mailed in app, too many phone calls & phone cards bought at $19 a 60 min. card. And no their 611 was not free! Language barriers, etc. $90 spent I didn't have, to resolve what never was resolved.

This Corporation didn't even rate a star. Grew tired of Reps that put me on hold and never came back, lost fax excuses, lost app excuses. And hearing "invalid" checking my status. I only hope that Consumer Affairs, or the Government, will step in, and investigate this train wreck soon. Nothing stable or safe about you, Safelink Wireless. No recommendations, no doubt.

Never get my minutes on time. I have to call them which burns up more minutes. I get the rudest customer service person, who wastes my time telling me that I have already received minutes. As if I'm too stupid to see I haven't gotten them. Then I have to go thru the same code entry mode crap that I have already done, for this non-American English speaking person to tell me he can't understand me because I have an accent. OMG!!!

I do NOT know where to begin, I must stress to anyone who dares to even think about signing on with these bastards. My phone service will turn off out of the blue for no ** apparent reason, differently, NOT ON MY ** PART (ALL RECERTIFICATION PAPERS ARE ALL UPDATED PROMPTLY). I make sure of that cause a ** need this phone. Anyway, I am constantly having something going wrong with this service almost to the breaking point like nervous breakdown. I will not go through everything I went through, but I will say this, I WAS GIVEN A GIFT CERTIFICATE Visa reloaded card (FOR MY BIRTHDAY). You know the ones that you can purchase at a ** Dollar Store, or Dollar General wherever part of the planet you live. But, I'm CALIFORNIA SO WE GOT DOLLAR STORE.

So I was happy that my aunt got it for me with 100 dollars. US dollars on that **. So I decided to purchase one of them fancy phones. Sorta wanted to splurge on myself. Sorta speak you heard me. So I guess just thinking about it now my aunt knew I wanted a new phone cause I talked about this constantly but I was dreaming cause not one of my family have credit. Let alone any damn credit card. Cut long story short I called them, seen which one I wanted online, called Safelink and told them the model serial number. All the ** and mind you I'm talking to a person, a human. Now I reflect on the **, maybe a ** mutant, who knows.

2 weeks came and went. One month came and went. Almost 2 months cause I forgot. Nothing, the phone never came, I call these ** and guess what?? These ** don't have nothing in their database of me EVER ORDERING the phone. I almost fell out, real talk. It wasn't so much the money, it was just how restarted these people are. Oh my God, I hung up cause I couldn't I mean could not even stand the thought of hearing a voice that represented them (Safelink). Go on. Play with those people if you want ** service or whatever, but, me, I’m gonna go tomorrow to locate another carrier that specialize in my poverty situation. And I hope, I pray that I never see anything, a commercial, anything that will make me remember this god awful times in my life.

I spoke to 3 or 4 managers there and they do not comprehend anything either. Total waste of time. From that moment on, I came to terms of them being the most INCOMPETENT INDIVIDUALS I HAVE EVER EVER ** GOTTEN TO KNOW BECAUSE MY SERVICE WAS INTERRUPTED CAUSE OF SOME ** ERROR. I even told them, "Sure I like to surf the web looking for employment, but, what oh my GB aren't added to my phone cause you guys can't even give me my online service that I'm suppose to get cause that's what you offer." You know the new feature they say, "Now YOU CAN SEARCH the web cause we offer it." They don't even know how to wipe their **. HONESTLY!!!

SO I couldn't stand being on the phone any longer than I should with these people. I told them I didn't need the web on my phone cause he surely couldn't add this feature to my phone that I'm suppose to get - What does it take to take this contract from them and let them fold, what will it take??? One day your home with a family member that desperately needs medical assistance and you can't call cause of a ** ERROR OR some ridiculous reason, and you or a family member, or possibly just someone a stranger needs help! And they die or possibly yourself cause these bastards are incompetent. And shouldn't be allowed to own a fish. Let alone people's lives. I have to say this, AS A AMERICAN, I ASK YOU DISCONTINUE THEIR CONTRACT OR IN THE WORKING FIELD SAY, TERMINATED EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

I have had nothing but trouble from this company for a year now. I have been dealing with them for 5 years, and at times they have definitely been "less than" average, but this year they have gone above and beyond that accountability. Last week, after waiting 23 days, as I chose to just purchase minutes in order just to have some, they still made me wait more than 48 hours in order to get them, even though I contacted them and asked for assistance. This week, I contacted them to get my minimum minutes, and it has now been approximately 36 hours, and unless I use the "if you speak Spanish key" I can't even talk to anyone, as they are "processing my request".

Meanwhile, while I take care of my father who has cancer and severe dementia, contact a good friend of mine who is receiving radiation treatment for cancer again, and need to contact another friend of mine who has cancer for the 6th time, I cannot use one text or make one phone call unless I use my mother's telephone. Ridiculous. I will immediately contact another company and they can receive the government grant for this program. DO NOT USE SAFELINK!! It is only "safe" for them... no one else.

I was 8 weeks without service because I was told I had to buy my own phone. After I brought my phone the following day to be activated I was told it would be activated in 48 hours. Well I called Safelink about 20 different times without success. I was given about 10 different ticket numbers for service to activate my phone. Finally I was connected to an American representative (by the name of Mark) and he turned my phone on immediately! What I did was called to by additional minutes, explained to them my situation and they connected me to an "American Representative". I'm giving this rating because of the service I received from Mark and not Safelink as a whole. Kudos to Mark!

I applied on Mar. 5 and it's now Mar. 28th. I keep seeing pending even though all paperwork was approved. When I call it takes forever to get to someone and then no one knows anything other than what I've been seeing. I've spoken to 3 different managers and each time was told it would be expedited. What is their idea of expedited? I've had to end up getting a minutes SIM because I don't have their SIM yet. I really can't afford this. But there are not many companies that do the bring your own phone. Had QLink but their phones are old and don't work, and when I asked about returning for another they said it would be the same brand. So I canceled them so I could use my own reliable phone.

I have health issues and need the phone, but Safelink could care less. You'd think they would put these through quickly with approved paperwork so they can claim the yearly money from the government. QLink at least had a phone to me within 5-7 days. I've contacted the state and left a complaint but nothing has changed. If anyone knows of another company that does bring your own please comment here.

UPDATED ON 05/02/2017: Unfortunately like last time I had to give 1 star when they're not entitled to any. Well, after the last phone call with a manager they sent me a "I'm not qualified" letter. I in turn called the state commissioner's office which handles this and made a complaint. I think I had put applied 4-5-17, but on checking emails it was actually 3-22. So the commissioner's office got with them and they said because the state only updates computer lists 1x a month I wasn't showing. I told her if they had checked the paperwork in a timely manner they would've seen this sooner and let me know instead of leaving me hanging.

I signed up with Tag Mobile that day. The next day I had an email approving me and said phone is being shipped. Not only that, when I called in I got right to customer service, not waiting 30 min + and going thru 15 menus. I'm impressed with Tag right now so we'll see. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TO AVOID SAFELINK AT ALL COSTS. They are rude and don't care, cause it's a free service.

I have been transferred 4 times trying to get my phone activated and been on the phone for 2 hours. Ridiculous. If I have to hear someone say that they are "utilizing all their tools" in a accent one more time I'm gonna go crazy.

My service was terminated when they failed to notify me via text that I was due to enroll again. Instead, they notified me through a former address. That's fine. But since February, THREE MONTHS AGO, I have been trying to enroll again, to no avail. Tonight, I was on the phone with six different customer service representatives. Each time, after giving them the same information, they told me they were unable to assist me and that they would transfer me to a supervisor. Each time, I was placed on hold, and disconnected. Hell, the last person didn't even transfer me. Just left me on the line. And I did not go off on anyone, as much as I wanted to so bad! I understand that they are merely employees. But Safelink has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with, worse than even Comcast! It seems that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with a supervisor.

I can only surmise that Safelink services have been discontinued for everyone who hasn't enrolled in time and they are purposely making it impossible to do so. I hate this company with a fiery passion and I hate that all customer service has been outsourced to countries that would seemingly piss on your grave, rather than assist you. The last three customer service representatives PROMISED me that I would not be disconnected. But what do they care? Once I do and call back, the odds of them having to deal with me again are very slim. Out of sight, out of mind, out of luck. I'll be glad when Safelink goes out of business!

After actually being a customer I can truly say the customer service was horrible, inexperienced and at times unknowledgeable on resolving even simple CS issues. Don't waste your time and energy. Free is NOT worth the headache or time wasted with this company.

I could write for hours about the problems that I have had with SafeLink. I have used this service for several years. I had no problems until recently. My purchased lifetime minutes were taken away. I have tried three times to upgrade to a newer SafeLink phone. Each time, after the phones arrived, I had to return them because SafeLink could never activate them.

I spent HOURS on the phone or with their live chat trying to resolve matters. I spoke with Customer Service reps who simply could not assist me. I had to return the phones at my expense. I spent about four days trying to get matters resolved. Each day I spent on average 4 hours of my time trying to deal with the "reps." I had to plead with one "rep" to give me back the 800 minutes that I had purchased. I was never given my monthly minutes.

I could go on and on! If you work with a LIVE CHAT "rep" or Customer Service representative, be forewarned. You will speak with them for hours and receive no satisfaction. Sometimes you get lucky and speak with someone who really does know what they are doing. Sadly, most "reps" have a broken accent making it all the more difficult to communicate.

I now am waiting for yet another upgraded phone to arrive. I have yet to hear from SafeLink as to when it is to arrive. If it ever does arrive and if they, once again, cannot transfer my number and activate the phone, I am done with them. I am disabled. I qualify for SafeLink. All the same, I will have to let my lawn overgrow just to be able to work with a reliable cell phone service provider and to have a decent phone. Good luck to everyone!

Updated on 04/11/2017: I just received a new SafeLink phone. I had to talk with a rep for about 30 minutes to have him help me activate it. The rep told me that they could not activate it themselves; rather, another company had to do so. The rep told me, initially, that I had to bring my own phone. I explained, repeatedly, that I bought the phone from SafeLink as an upgrade. He tried to convince me that SafeLink's website shows that one has to bring their own phone. Baloney! There is nothing on their site that indicates this; rather, they sell phones! I had to go through a bunch of rigmarole for him to, finally, ask for the IMEI number of the new phone. He told me that I did not have a SafeLink phone. Baloney, again.

He, finally, told me that he was going to send me a text and that I was to text him back a code number. Thereafter, he said that he would have the phone activated but, once again, that it had to be activated by a different company. I, repeatedly, asked him how long it would take to activate the phone. He told me that he could not tell me as it was up to the company that does the activation. Later on, as I kept pressing him to tell me how long it would take for my phone to activate, he told me in about one hour. Guess what? It is now about 6 hours later and my phone is not activated.

He gave me a confirmation number and told me to call customer service in one hour if the phone was not activated. What a lie! I asked how late customer service was open. He told me that they were available until 11:45pm EST. It already was 11:45pm!!! I pointed this out to him. He told me to call back tomorrow, April 11th, 2017. I am, essentially, saying that this rep was full of beans and continually lied to me.

NOTE: If I went with another cell phone provider and had to pay for the service, (which I cannot afford), a new cell phone provider will not transfer a SafeLink number. I had this experience with Cricket. Be very leery of SafeLink. They have very poor customer service. They will steal your minutes. This happened to me. I have tried, for the fourth time, to upgrade my phone with a SafeLink phone, ones that I bought from their website. Each time, they fail to activate the phone. I had to return three that I bought. It is my hope that I don't have to return this phone that I bought and received yesterday.

I have never tried to use ASSURANCE! Maybe I should! I am going to look into it. You have been warned! Be prepared to have a fight on your hands if you buy a phone from SafeLink. I just went to SafeLink's shop for phones site. It is not uploading. What a shame that the government pays SafeLink. Somehow, SafeLink is making money off of the government! I am so frustrated!

I find Safelink Wireless’ service helps to keep me in contact with my family and friends, as well as lets me check the news and keeps me informed on new and current events.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.
  • Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.
  • Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.
  • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.
  • Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.
  • Best for SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Compare Prepaid Phones