1.20/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Safelink Wireless

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

541 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This service is the equivalent of not having a cell phone. As far as the data goes, as soon as your data for the month starts and you try to load one internet page, by the time the page loads, your data for the month is zero. You, immediately, get a page telling you to text ADD to 611611 to pay for more service. This crap is crap. What's the point of even having it? I see why people go out and get more than one phone. The service SUCKS lemons, salt and vinegar.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I am so dissatisfied with Safelink Wireless. I don't know what else to do. I have contacted the BBB, & filed a complaint. Someone from ERD Management (whatever that is) claims to have contacted me, on my only phone that I have, and claims they left a voicemail. My whole complaint is that I cannot make outgoing calls, and my incoming callers cannot hear me. I do not have voicemail… This has been going on all year. I cannot get another free service like Assurance which is wonderful, cause Safelink won't take me off their list. Any suggestions??

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Absolute worst customer service ever! During a phone call and on my 3rd day of my allotted 500 minutes without warning, my call just dropped. I tried calling the person back to find out I'd run out of minutes??? What? I went online, paid for, and added unlimited minutes and still no phone. Not having another phone, I had to wait the next day to contact customer service with a friend's phone. God forbid if you can get someone you can understand. My friend's phone that I was using is a pay as you go. I repeatedly stated I was going to run out of time, it had 37 minutes left. She kept saying hold on. Finally it ran out of time. I ended up having to set up a new account and activating an old phone to contact Safelink. (Are they serious? Who came up with that name!)

I proceeded to call them back and once again was on the phone for well over 40 minutes. I got disconnected and when I called back a man answered, he got rude, then it sounded as though he was hitting the keys in my ear. During this time, I added up the usage used which was only 324 minutes. I called back and once again, I was on the phone for well over an hour. Finally, they refunded me the unused minutes and the unlimited card I had purchased. Easily spent over 2 hours trying to get service back on my phone.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have never had to deal with people who have no clue! I will be telling all my friends about this wireless piece of crap! People were not professionals at all! It took me 3 hours of playing phone tag. My problem was never solved! My experience was not pleasurable at all.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Enrolled with Safelink Wireless 3 weeks ago on Sept. 8th 2017, my application was approved and I was qualified. I also purchased a phone through them and they activated it and transferred my old number to my new phone. I kept receiving text messages from TracFone saying my plan end date will be Sept. 28. 2017. I called and the 1st rep said to ignore it. So I did, until they kept texting me everyday with the same message. Technical support wasn't helpful. Each rep each day I called for the past 3 weeks since I enrolled with Safelink kept giving me different answers to why I wasn't receiving my minutes. Employee Id ** "SYLVER" completely rude to me and in my opinion should be fired. Ensured me my phone will not be turned off, that I would receive my new monthly minutes the 29th with a text message stating that, and my cell phone was cancelled the next day.

Every customer service person kept giving me different reasons why I'm not receiving my minutes. 1st it was the wrong IME number, next was I wasn't even enrolled, 3rd was the old number was still linked to my old phone. The list goes on of nothing but a bunch of bull and customer service not doing their job. A bunch of Indians you can't even understand, nobody can speak clear English. Now my cell is off while they once again enroll me again, does that make any ** sense to anyone. Funny how I sign in my account and says I been enrolled since Sept. 8th and they’re telling me I'm not along with all their other bull as why they can't do their job.

I spoke with 6 different managers and all had different answers and said the problem would be fixed in 24 hrs each freaking one. Every 24 hrs I waited not being able to use my phone, only to find out they say something else about the issue or make up one! So right now I'm as of today they tell me I had to re-enroll. "WHY"? I already am! Says so, since Sept. 8th. Friday Sept. 29th Safelink rep. told me my IME number was still linked to my old phone and to wait 24 hrs for it to have my minutes. Today 10/2/17 Safelink tells me I'm not enrolled and I need to now wait 72 hrs. WTF is going on with this Company. I'm looking into addressing this further, and expose this Company of the hell they put me through, as well as all the unsatisfied customer care and techs that they have, who are useless and extremely unhelpful!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I called because my application had over six different statuses when I checked online. I spoke with over 5 reps and I got a different answer about the status of my app from everyone. I was transferred to 2 different managers one who kept saying, “Go ahead ma'am I'm listening.” While I was explaining my issue then in the midst of me talking he began his own convo with someone in his background in an entire different language. After I said, “You’re not listening. You were just having a whole convo with someone else in another language.” He then got silent and never said another word. I kept saying hello he never responded but I could see from my phone he was still on the line. I eventually hung up.

Next manager I spoke with got upset because I couldn't understand what he was saying because of the accident so I asked him to repeat himself a few times so then he goes "ugh oh my Gosh!" I still don't know the status of my application after almost ten calls. Nobody at the call center speaks English well enough for you to understand. I'm not even sure they know what they are talking about. It's sad it’s the worst customer service I've ever experienced!! The WORST!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Have had one of the "free" phones for about 3 years now. Suddenly, without any warning or reason, I was unable to make any calls. "No service", "Network not available", "emergency calls only" would appear on the screen with any attempt. I kept trying and finally called Safelink to tell them "phone not working". OK, got an "outsourced" service and person could not understand English... I repeated the same thing over and over, spelled it out over and over... After 45 minutes I insisted he get a supervisor. The supervisor finally came on and "yes" I had to repeat everything over again, spell everything ("Florida", "Lane", etc) as he could barely speak English. I finally got him to understand the phone had not worked for over 1 month (neither could understand the difference between "a week" and "a month"). I had to demand a new phone (they wanted me to wait two more weeks and call back).

I received the new phone, and, it was doing the same thing as the first phone. I called again and "yes" I think I got the SAME non-English speaking guy as the first time... and "yes" another 1 hour long drawn out, spell every word, repeat dozens of times guy. He had me do the same thing over and over and over again (take battery out, take SIM card out, dial in code... over and over and over). Finally he says, "You have to BUY an upgraded phone and then see if that works". I said, "Why suddenly are the FREE phones not working?" He had no idea... just kept saying "You must buy upgraded phone and see if that works". My question is: "If you have to buy the upgraded phone, why do they send you a phone that is not 'strong enough' to work in the first place?"

I am also reading that after people paid for an upgraded phone that the upgraded phone does not work either (No Service, network Not Available, Emergency calls Only). So, this service for poor Americans, is sending out phones that do not work and then telling people they have to BUY another phone, that, from what I am reading, does not work either. What is the US Government doing about this? I mean the government is paying for it (with our tax money). Why are the Safelink jobs being outsourced to some non-English speaking service? Anyway, Poor, Poor, Poor service and non-working phones for American poor. Disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have had this service for about a couple of years. I updated the service to 2019 and was told I don't need to update again because it was updated to 2019 for service. Well they shut my phone off with a message, "Your account is currently suspended." I called to try to clear this up with Safelink and was on hold for over 1 and 1/2. I had to use my neighbor phone because I don't have a house phone. After the very long wait the woman answer and said she was checking my account for details of why service was shut off. I was on hold again for over an hour. I kept saying are you still there and she replied yes still checking your account.

She then said that the reason my service was suspended because I failed to renew the service. I explained the service was renewed until 2019. She checked and said, "Oh yeah. Well you have to reapply again." I asked why and she said "You just have to wait until the service is renewed." And hung up. I wasn't about to try and call back since I was on my neighbor phone and it took me over 2 hours to get no results. I called back the next day and got a man on the phone. He pause as if he was reading the notes and replied with the same stupid answer she gave me. I told him the same thing, "I already reapplied and my phone reads service is active to 2019."

He said, "Well you have to wait for a new service plan." I said, "Well how long will that take because I don't have a phone." He said, "About 30 seconds." I said, "Oh great." Then he said, "It's 30 seconds to do one thing and about 4 weeks for the application to go through again." Well, it's been 6 weeks and still no letter, no phone call, nothing about turning on my service. I am left with a blind mask on and no phone for jobs, to call my family, friends, emergency, etc. This is no way to do anyone.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

Will not give me proof of deactivation so I can get another government phone because they could not get the new upgraded phone to work after ten days of talking to technical support. Now I can't get free government phone because they want proof I am deactivate.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Safelink did not send a yearly verification form which I was to receive 60 Days ago. Another was to be sent the 5th of September. I also did not receive this. I now have no minutes. I've Spent hours on the phone with these 3rd world people. I'm getting nowhere. I have been hung up on 7 or 8 times and these Stone Age folks are putting the blame on me for not sending in a verification form which a 3rd tier manager was suppose to send me. If anybody knows who oversees this 2 mules and a broken down wagon operation please let me know.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have had one of these for about a year and a half. I never even turned it on until yesterday. I don't need this thing, but my beef is this; this phone is an alleged "emergency phone" for folks that can't afford a phone. It has so much additional bloatware on it that it simply cannot function half the time. Every android device in my possession is rooted. Save this stubborn thing. 4.4.4 and literally NOTHING will root it. This isn't a problem by itself, but this means you cannot remove ANY bloat. This thing is a joke, and a bad one. Your loved ones would die of whatever was killing them before this brick could lag its way to the correct option. Trash. People who need this should be insulted.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I understand this is a "free" phone service but every month I spend $40 which is a significant amount of my budget. Every month I find myself fighting with them over my minutes and data. This month after paying for an unlimited plan as of Sept 14th I have only used my phone 7 days and it says I have no minutes. Their excuse is I am canceled from Safelink even though I have to wait 7 business days for their paperwork to arrive via mail which has nothing to do with the $15 plus tax I spent for unlimited call and text on September 1 when I was still customer. They refuse to refund my money and keep passing me off to others who can't speak English. I would go with another service but live in a small town where they are the only ones with service here. I am extremely upset!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have had Safelink for about 6 months and can never use it in my home. I have to walk out in my yard to try and get a signal if at all. I have talked to them many times and no help. One guy told me I need a landline for them to tell me how to get better service. Lol if I had a landline I would not need my cell phone to work at home. I have no choice but to stay with them for now because I am disabled and on a low income, I wish there was something else. This is just sad. Safelink is not safe or a link by any means of the word.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I call my self leaving Safelink, the government is paying them for my name and social security number. Safelink said that they have removed me from the account. Everytime I try to go get a phone they say that I can't get another phone because Safelink is still lock in. Safelink has my information and will not delete me out the system. The government is paying Safelink for my name and they are lying about their company. Who do I connect to tell the government that they are bogus. If I was to do what this major company is doing I would be put in prison for what Safelink is doing. They are extracting money from the government on people name that don't have a phone. I was told that I am lock in for a year.

The government is paying Safelink for my name, and Safelink will not give me another phone. Everytime I talk to someone at Safelink they tell me I'm clear and to go get a phone. I have been so inconvenience riding around looking for a Safelink booth for the last 3 months. Who do I talk to about getting a phone. I need to know asap, I'm without a phone. I had emergency situation and had to use my neighbor cell phone. I can't even get Assurance phone. It has double the minutes and one more half gig data than Safelink.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have had Safelink for close to 2 years now and at some point yesterday I tried to call a friend and I got a recording saying there is not enough money in my account to make this call. Every time I talked to someone it was a different story as to why I don't have my minutes. I even had one customer service representative tell me it's because I bought unlimited minutes on September 1st and wouldn't receive the 350 minutes until October. There's 2 problems with that. 1st I never bought any minutes. 2nd if that's the case then why can't I call ANYONE.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I came here initially to leave a bad review with this company, because like many of you I have experienced nothing but bad customer service with Safelink for the past 3 months and I was really fed up with it, but after reading all the bad reviews I come to the realization that we have been provided a free service and now we're complaining because we can't get our way. I have been with Safelink now for probably about 3 years I think. Like some, I started out with Assurance and was somehow bullied into signing up with Safelink, okay fine, because I honestly NEVER used their service for myself. I gave the phone to my daughter to use in case of emergency.

Well as fate has it, I lost my job and fell on hard times and I realized that I was paying $60 a month for a cell phone service that I was rarely using, so I looked over and saw this free phone that I gave my daughter with 500 free minutes and text and I figured I'd cancel my service and just use this. Well for about 3 months all was good until I called customer service and asked to port in a new number and transfer my service to another cell phone, big NO NO, that's when the problems started.

Now I could go over every detail of my bad experience and speak about how I almost had a panic attack that landed me in the emergency room due to the stress of going back and forth, being transferred a number of times, getting hung up on, talking with barely speaking English agents, calling at 9:00 am and finally getting off the phone with an agent and nearly 5:00 pm, only to still not have my issue resolved and finally having my service cancelled without a reason and told I had to BUY AIRTIME... REALLY??? But I won't.

Instead, I will just focus on the fact that for three years I have never had a problem with Safelink. My minutes were always there on time on the first of every month. When I was out of town and I wanted to call and check in on my daughter I felt relieved knowing she had her own little phone that I could call and check in on her on and that was all good for me. Even the three months after losing my job and I was using the free cell phone provided by Safelink I didn't experience any bad service. The problem occurred when I got greedy and decided to take full advantage of a free service that I initially never used and had any problem with. Folks the point I am trying to make is, help and a hand out should be temporary, NOT FOREVER.

Some folks are on here suggested we file a class action lawsuit against Safelink??? Really??? For a service this is FREE??? Some of us need to get out priorities in order. Most of us that are walking around with these free phones, also have the latest iPhone, designer purses, new shoes and many other gadgets that cost and are not certainly free. I feel after a company has provided me with good service for 3 years at some point it's time to show my appreciation. So I decided to just purchase the unlimited plan for $15. And so far I have not had any more problems.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Applied for a cell phone for an elderly person. People who answer the phone are not fluent English speakers therefore can't to tell you to reapply (which is incorrect). We had the elderly man's application finally on PENDING in April 2017. It's August 31, 2017 and it's still pending. Since April, SAFELINK told us to "wait 30 days" for approval; then 10 days; then multiple times wait 5 days. This is terrible for the elderly who truly need the help. I asked for an address to return the cell phone, they wouldn't give it to me. "Please wait patiently for 30 days... (15 min later)... for 60 days for approval. Thank you for waiting patiently." My patience of 5 months has run out. Someone needs to investigate this place.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Well I had two different phones. One was a tiny little Samsung phone and it worked pretty good till it went swimming and did a little light show then died so they let me get a Motorola flip phone. Both seemed to work pretty good but you know the text drill and what a pain. So seen ad for Q-link and they would send you a smartphone so I went for it and it worked pretty good with wifi for going online and data also. But the regular phone would not work where I live with. It's what I needed the most for my doctors and appointments and that kind of stuff 'cause they won't let you use messenger with wifi phone. Has to be a regular phone line for some reason even though I have all the message boards all synced together and I get the messages through several different apps at the same time. As the reg phone line just won't let you skype or video chat to a landline because they don't do that which is fine.

I say phase out landlines and hardwire and all the junk involved with it and step up the wireless service instead of keeping the dinosaur lol that my bill left us at any rate. Had just the one problem with the smartphone. At first battery went within two phone call and the thing lived on the charger all the time. It had Sprint for a carrier and all my family that had Sprint had good service here except me. Did the troubleshoot thing with them a few times and it was all fine. They said "Make sure it wasn't roaming." It wasn't. They said the whole menu and no fix so I thought I seen a ad that said "Upgrade your phone free from Safelink" and I said "Great. Just in time." But it end up being as everyone said "You have to buy phone and then you get it." Never said until after you were almost done then wants card for transaction so I was bummed.

I need this or something that really works. I have end stage liver failure and two of the most important call I've ever had to wait for is they have a donor and need me to get to hospital or which is 911. I think my liver quit and I need a ambulance to hopefully keep from dying and setting DR APPOINTMENTS AND NOTHING ELSE. You would think being a lifeline service that would not mess around with a unreliable group of hacks that are getting a good deal on a pallet full at a time. Very old stock which has shown very unreliable. This is insane and in a sense lives are on these people's watch and for them to mess with that this way is ** heartless. And if someone dies because their only hope is to use this phone somebody should sue the crap out of them 'cause my granddaughter would miss me very much and having this available I don't miss a single moment and she doesn't at any rate.

Someone that has some capital to invest could do a excellent service to people by putting together a real company that could do a priceless service to all in bad shape or going through tough. I mean really they sell phones in vending machines over in Japan and the 800.00$ one is maybe worth 30 or 40$ turned on unlimited everything. Face it. Everybody wants a piece and 400.00$ alone here is the price that Safelink is gouging you for. This is a worse scheme than I thought. Q-link at least gives you a smartphone to start but it is a old design and has a few flaws that come with buying a bunch of discontinued phones. Since it's free you get what you get so far the only thing it's got going for it. That is all I want to put into this both companies. Could do better first by hiring Americans and not shipping job to India or lowest bidder.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Worst experience ever. Phone didn't work and on top of two days trying to explain it to someone on the other end of a phone I was cussed at and called a racial name. Ended up sending the phone back because where I live in Louisiana we need either At&t or Verizon. How they expected me to use T-Mobile I'll never know. Horrible experience. This company needs to be shut down! Making racial slurs is wrong! Esp coming from a company that's supposed to help people!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am writing this review out of frustration and several phone calls later regarding my Safelink enrollment, which as of today has still not yet been resolved. I am trying to recertify and it is impossible. You can't get anyone to help you. Everyone is a supervisor but yet they can't help. They are rude and you cannot get anyone to work with you even when you are on a 3 way call with California Life Line saying they approved you and all they need is a permanent ID # and Safelink says they can't do that, in other words they don't do squat. What ever you do DO NOT use Safelink. They offer you no viable solutions.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I called about 4 months ago to tell them that my buttons were sticking on my phone and I have a bar phone not a smart phone. They keep telling me to take the battery out of the phone and restart it. That has nothing to do with my problem but I do it anyway. Anyway, they finally realized that I need another phone which they said they shipped out on August 7th, wait 7 to 10 business days. I never got it. I called again, they told me it never shipped out and to wait another 7 to 10 business days. I called a third time to be told that it never shipped out and they didn't understand why I didn't get it. Really?

Anyway as of the 23rd of August they turned my phone off and activated the new phone that was shipped that I still don't have and was told that I should receive it by the 29th. So I have no phone and family cannot contact me, I have children that cannot reach me and I am supposed to be okay with this and wait until the 29th to get a phone and spend my time at work on hold while they constantly ask the same questions over and over again? This is unacceptable and I will not keep going through this. The more complaints that come in on this company, something will be done. Do your job Safelink and treat the customers properly. I pray that there is no family emergency and someone needs to call me because there will be serious legal issues about this. I am not happy or satisfied with this.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My 87 senior mother is suppose to go through recertification every year in order to keep her phone. It is absolutely impossible to get in touch with anyone on the phone to do this. It is impossible to do it online. It rejects her info every time she tries to do this. Terrible company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

This is the worst cell phone company ever! My service was fine until I added the Unlimited Plan. The minutes that were on the phone prior to the Unlimited Plan were supposed to be restored the next month, but they were not. My phone was disconnected all together. I called customer service at least 10x before someone was able to help me. Out of each time I've called, there have been maybe (2) reps that were friendly. Everyone else was very rude!!! I literally have to call them several times each month to have my service restored. It's ridiculous! The call center must be very small, because every time I call on the same day, the same person answers the phone. When I asked for a supervisor, they said that they were the supervisor!! I feel like they don't care about the customers due to the fact that most don't pay a bill. It's just not right. I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I called Safelink a couple days ago & all I got was a man sniffing snot & screaming at me to hold. Isn't it odd that when you ask for a supervisor everyone is a supervisor. I have called 5 times today & still using the same phone. I work at a call center -- why would the 1st 2 people I talked to today tell me to call back from a different number & the last 3 say there is an error & I will have to call back in 48 hours???

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I've been using Safelink since April. First, the junk phone they sent me had a faulty battery. Once it got to 50% charge, it would completely die. After speaking with someone, obviously outsourced to India, who didn't understand what I was saying, I finally got someone who understood English and got a new battery. I had poor signal but thought the battery was the problem. No.

In my home I had no signal at all 90% of the time. I'm disabled and a fall risk, this was unacceptable. I called and they told me to purchase a phone with larger range. As I have no income (as I wait through the appeals process) my father bought me a Majesty Pro. Signal is a bit better, if I go outside I get 1 bar, but that's not good for someone in my situation.

Now, if you have a problem with signal, TracFone runs a signal test. Every test BOOSTS YOUR SIGNAL. My signal would improve during the test then die after. 3 more times the test was run and all tech support techs said my signal was poor, even with this boost. I have been told 5 times that I will receive a Verizon SIM card to switch from AT&T. Each time the ticket has been denied, without contacting me. I have to call after 10 days to see why I haven't gotten it yet, only to be told the ticket is closed. I have a screenshot of my dBm vs my dad's Verizon tablet's dBm in the same place at the same time. Huge difference!

I would love to use the BYOP but my Verizon phones don't have SIM cards so they don't qualify. I'm so sick of fighting this company for a provider that works in my rural area! I honestly think that they hope people will just give up and either accept the service as is or cancel. They don't know me, though. I have record of every call, I have notes from every call, I have names of every tech. I've made a formal complaint with the Indiana Public Service Commission and the Universal Service Administrative Company (who they get their grant money from). All I want is to be able to speak to my lawyer and doctors without standing outside, where I can barely hear over cicadas and traffic from the very busy highway I live in front of. I shouldn't have to put my phone in and out of airplane mode just to send a text. I shouldn't drop calls when I pass a few trees.

I live in a rural area. I live within 2 miles from 2 AT&T towers yet my home is somehow a dead zone? If they get government money to provide a service, they should make sure that you receive said service instead of paying a provider for an unusable service. I'm fed up and you all should be too! And I'm positive I manage my life quite well, as I'm sure the majority of those who commented do. Be glad if you live in an area that has good service. I'm in a little rural town in Indiana, surrounded by trees, fields and farms. Maybe just be grateful instead of being negative toward the hundreds of people stating the EXACT SAME problems. That's too many for it to be a coincidence. Contact info for the Universal Service Administrative Company: **. Press 6, then 1 to get a live person. Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30a - 4:30p Email: LifelineSupport@usac.org. Hit them where it hurts, their wallet!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I applied in May 2017. They sent me a paper telling me to send in my information. I called to see what they needed. I sent in my power bill, medicaid card, foodstamp card. This was not enough. So they asked for my driver's license and my SS number. This was not enough. Then they asked for another proof of address, so I called 911 and got them to send me my correct address. The one I used to apply. Still was not enough. So I called my home phone company and had them to change my address to my new address that 911 gave me earlier this year. This was at the end of July.

They are still saying the same thing, But the funny thing is I have a friend that just got out of jail been in for ten years. He lives far away. He called me and I asked him how and he told me it was a phone through Safelink. He told me all he done was sent in a picture of his medicaid card. So why are they picking on me. And why have I had to send in all these information when no one else has had to. This has stressed me out so bad. I have done everything they have asked. But it is still not enough. I wish someone would look into this for me.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

A representative of Safelink came to my apartment some months ago stating that Safelink was upgrading users phones to a larger screen. I thought this a novel idea. I received the phone within a week but the sim had an id of another phone number so they stated a new sim card had to be sent to replace the one that came with the android phone (the previous phone was LG model). I received the new sim card and for a few months was receiving my monthly minutes without a problem. Then the minutes stopped coming. I called Safelink but ended up connecting with TracFone. The rep said they were the same but I had to now pay for my minutes since I was no longer with Safelink since I went with the upgrade. I was furious!

The rep then told me he'd transfer me to a Safelink rep- they are one and the same company! Side by side. I was conned out of my minutes by going along with getting that upgrade, but I was told it was a Safelink rep and phone. I sent in the necessary paperwork to get reinstated with Safelink was approved but they are now claiming that they cannot give me my minutes on the TracFone which they were doing for four months prior. It is a scam to make me go out and buy minutes to use in the TracFone! The Safelink rep on the internet online chat stated the issues has to be resolved via a phone call. Catch 22- no phone -make you go out and buy minutes to resolve their con job.

Original review: July 30, 2017

This my second phone, they don't know what they are doing. I realized these phone from Japan, so I understand they don't care. The government use their service, they just care of that they have a job. I knew this was too true something free from government. Hope this new business close. It do more bad than good. Sorry we do not need to be stressed. I'm going back to the faithful company l have to pay Monthly.

Original review: July 26, 2017

TracFone or SafeLink should not be able to advertise that you can buy an add-on package for extra minutes. When the SafeLink minutes run out they will just throw them away or dissolve them or whatever it is they do but you don't get them. They will come up with some kind of an excuse and not help you on your account at all.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Recently was sent a new phone to replace one that had become defective, called in to activate new phone, 2 days, 9 customer service people and 13 redirects my new phone still shows NO Service, all after many insults, misunderstood directions and the inability to understand conversations. Don't try for a manager nor Supervisor as they just don't exist. Problems do exist with offshore customer service centers, I do understand this, however this is absolutely the worst experience I have ever encountered, and it is a USA Government funded activity.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.
    • Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.
    • Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.
    • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.
    • Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.
    • Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs