1.28/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

648 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

My phone stopped working while I was talking. I can only text. The overseas reps are horrible. They hang up on you. They now want me to pay for minutes. This is supposed to be a free service. The phone is clearly defective. They are the worst people in history.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm quite an experienced person using different prepaid plans and other LifeLine providers service, I guess you could say I've tested several other LifeLine plans with other carriers/MVNO and I always go back to SafeLink. I never can understand how there are so many negative reviews on here. Before I started using the Truly Unlimited plan in 2017 I was paying $65 a month for Cricket's so called truly unlimited plan. I would get throttled regardless of data consumption, and all regular HTTP (not https) traffic would be proxied and compressed on Cricket's end of the network without any way to use HTTP data/websites in RAW form with things like curl/wget etc in a Linux or Android OS. They also consider large amounts a data usage to be in violation of 'hotspot/tethering terms'. Eventually Cricket discontinued my service even having paid 2 months in advanced without refunding my money.

This review is not about Cricket I know, but I want to throw that out there for a comparison point as Cricket is even until this day the only unlimited data plan you can get prepaid for a reasonable amount, but those things I listed above are very critical. With SafeLink Truly Unlimited I have to say my overall experience could not be better. I get true Verizon LTE speeds of 20-60 mbps regardless of the amount of data I've consumed. I typically use between 200-300 GB a month because we have no option for cable TV, DSL, cable internet, etc in the rural area we live. For $43.95 (total after tax/fees) I get better speeds than the people who live in areas that receive high speed cable. We use our SafeLink plan to stream our TV all day long with no interruptions. I don't get messages halfway through the month about exceeding a threshold, or warning messages about a hotspot/tethering violation.

With all that said an even better thing I have to say is that SafeLink will allow you to purchase a CDMA TracFone and use a Verizon sim if you happen to live in an area where Verizon has coverage, but in a zip code where you can't apply. For example I Live on the KY/TN state line and in this zip code we have Bluegrass Cellular coverage but it comes from a Verizon owned tower located on the state line. I can't get any good reception with AT&T or any at all with T-Mobile.

What I did was went to the Dollar General a mile down the road but in TN and purchased a TracFone for Verizon's network. I called and explained my situation about service in my area to SafeLink support. Without issue they asked for my sim card # on the new device as well as the IMEI, and they transferred my LifeLine to it without issue. I did have to get a new phone number because I was originally issued a KY AT&T number and it would not port instantly to Verizon without a delay. This was no big deal as I could not use the AT&T number anyway.

I was hesitant at first to put a truly unlimited plan on my account due to the situation I outlined in the previous paragraph, but after my Cricket plan was terminated unexpectedly, I didn't have much reason to not give it a try. Thankfully it worked well, and has continued to for over a year now. Having full Verizon network capabilities and speeds without any restrictions on data usage is very nice for us people who live in a rural area right on a state line. I will say that 1x/3G roaming does not work on Verizon where I live, but you can set a lot of phones to use VoLTE and set the connection mode to LTE only, and in those cases where LTE signal isn't as strong as 3G you will still have data/voice/text which is virtually everywhere I've been.

There is no other network that has as broad of coverage as Verizon's network. When you pair SafeLink + Verizon + Truly Unlimited plan, you will have by far the best cellular coverage and capabilities of any carrier out there. With all that said you will have to actually live in an area that has full Verizon coverage and not in an 'extended' coverage area. 98% of the USA that has any cellular coverage at all also has full Verizon coverage as well.

With this experience I've had and I've used both SafeLink with AT&T and Verizon, SafeLink itself cannot be beat by any LifeLine program, or even any prepaid/contract provider plan. It's better than any plan you can possibly find. AT&T Truly unlimited plan works the same as Verizon's but the speeds on the network is what really makes the two as different as day and night. With AT&T in a good coverage area on Truly Unlimited I could get around 12-15mbps, but with Verizon it's usually 25+ at any given moment with it closer to 60 the majority of the time. All for less than $45 a month. I just hope this doesn't change because it's a life saver for people in rural areas that have no alternative to tethering their phone for Internet access. If someone can find something that could be improved with SafeLink, I'd sure be interested in knowing. It's the best LifeLine program without a doubt by far!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Well I'd been with 1 1/2 yrs then they started screwing up everything by putting me down as a disabled veteran so I would have to recertify when I wasn't a veteran and they sent me numerous texts to do this and I went through this for about 5 months and in Sep. I called and the supervisor then said that she would send me new paperwork but never sent it. She just cancelled my service and the company refused to help me with the problem unless I signed up again. So if I were you I'd stay as far away from this company as I can because they're about as bad as it gets. You can't understand the people because they can't speak English. THE COMPANY SUCKS AND IS WORTHLESS!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Safelink suddenly discontinued my service without notifying me. Can you imagine if I would have had an emergency and didn't know they discontinued my service! I had changed my phone number several times so Safelink accused me of having multiple phones in my household when I only had one phone but changed the number and I live alone! In the meantime, someone I know has a Safelink phone that he's not qualified for because he has a full-time job at CVS and his own lawn service cleaning business! I reported it to Safelink and they told me there was nothing they could do about it. So unfair!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Unless you know everything there is to know about cells stay clear from using your own phone. They (X4) give misinformation, in my case I have to buy parts to make it work. They don't back their salespeople, and they don't make their mistakes good to the customer. They are extremely nice, but totally worthless. They will not take their sim cards back even though they were the ones who told you what you needed, and blew it twice, so will not send the free phone you should have stuck with in the first place as they repeat over and over (from their Co. list of what to say) that you ordered it (leaving out the part that they told you to), so they have done what they were to do. They understand your anger, but this is all they can do. Anyone know who you can contact for all this injustice? "I have no "personal or business relationship" with this organization?" Well of course I do, or I wouldn't be writing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The worst problem I have with them is that they keep sending me emails to use my phone. I am using my phone! They will say there is a requirement to make one phone call or send one text message monthly as though I am not doing that. I am on the phone much more than that. Clearly they are tracking what you are doing on your personal phone, though they aren't tracking it well, but it feels like an invasion to know they are monitoring my phone usage. If they are doing that, who is to say they are not listening in or reading your text messages? Scary!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I signed up for Safelink in Sept 2017. I received my phone and service within a week of my first application. In March, I bought a new phone because the ZTE POS they sent me was overheating constantly and was basically unusable. Service transferred over to the new phone, no problem. I was the happiest customer you could imagine until October 16 of this year, when my phone service randomly stopped.

Oh, it must be that I need to recertify. Okay! I went online and did that. Still no service. So I called customer support. On my fifth try I actually got through to a live person. He told me there was a problem with the system, he left me "on hold" (basically he just set the phone down and I could hear loud chit-chatting and a TV in the background), but he did get my phone working again, so I was happy enough. Then today, 2 days later, no service again. I called again. This time I got a tremendously rude agent who yelled into the phone and spoke too fast to understand. He got my phone working again, but now when I look at the Tracfone app, it tells me my service will end on 10-20-18. That's tomorrow. Will I lose service again? I guess we'll see! The fun never ends!

I suppose it was my own naivete that caused me to live chat with a Tracfone agent, who could tell me that I have service with them but couldn't figure out why my service kept going out. She said something about how I needed to "update my profile". I'm on SNAP and Medicaid, I'm low income, I certainly qualify for this service, but at this rate I'm about ready to give up.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

This is my second time trying to get a low income telephone. I had absolutely no problems with Assurance Wireless while living in Florida, but the cell phones they give out really suck. I've now been trying to obtain service with Safelink Wireless in Texas since September 1st, it's now October 19th, and I'm still stuck with them saying that they can't verify my benefits. The first time around, they rejected my address, utility, and benefits uploads, I resubmitted them all, the second time the address and utility bill were accepted, but they still won't accept my benefits cards despite the fact that my Medicaid card has my name on it. This is a piss poor company and I regret the hell out of going with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Just terrible. Very rude and do not care. I wouldn't recommend them to a homeless man. Every single time I have to contact them is truly a bad experience. Not every other time but EVERY time! I worked in customer service for years on the phones and still do. There's no way this is even real!!! Reps, Sups, and even the darn Techs are so unprofessional. I'm starting to think it's a SCAM! It's sad and suppose to be providing something to the people to help. Definitely false advertising and my phone still doesn't work properly. With all the complaints, the whole company doesn't care at this point or who let represent them. It's still going on. Just hung up with them and got almost the worst ever experience with them ever. Which encouraged me to leave this review. Just terrible!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The problem with Safelink is that they outsource to foreign countries (Philippines, India, etc) without providing them with the proper training to assist Safelink customers. Whenever I call, I can never speak to a US-based customer service. Each question that I asked, I am giving different answers. When asked to speak to a supervisor, no one is available. I have filed a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission regarding Safelink. This company need to be investigated, fined or sanction. There are too many complaints!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have given them ID card pictures, social security card pictures, food stamp pictures, and letter of residency pictures and keep getting told I need to provide more info from food stamps, and proof of address. I call they say whatever they want to cover the butts when catching them in a lie. Also each rep will tell you something different. It's a scam and they have all my info. Been waiting since 09/15/2018. I've spent HOURS on phone with them. They don't know what they are doing.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I tried activating a new Safelink SIM on my account after I lost my phone. It took them 9 days to activate it. The reps kept me on the phone for 1 and 1/2 hour and then told me it’s going to take 24 hours and it’s going to be active. The next day was another 2 hours speaking with a rep. And the next day again and the next day again for NINE days until one rep finally got it done. I asked one of the reps what’s so hard to swap a SIM. I have done it with other companies and it only took 2 minutes. He answered that if I would have understood how telephones work I would have known that swapping a SIM is the hardest thing.

After seeing after a few days that nothing is happening I asked for a manager. The rep said no problem, put me on hold, and then another rep picked up as if she is the manager. I asked her to speak to a manager. She said sure, and put me on hold and then another rep picked up. I asked him to transfer me to a manager and same story. After the 9 days that I was busy with them I finally got thru to a manager and she was able to do it. I asked if there is anyone to whom to complain about the terrible experience and about spending 12 hours on the phone. She answered no. I didn’t even get an apology. The whole 12 hours I was on the phone with them I couldn’t even put the phone down for a minute because they put me on hold and every 2 minutes the rep came back. Told me he’s still working on it. I’m not sure but I believe they were on the other line with other customers and doing the same that everyone should think a rep is with them the whole time.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had a phone from Safelink Wireless stolen a couple of months ago and I has never had a replacement phone before. I remember reading that if your phone was lost or stolen you qualified for at least one replacement phone. So I called customer service at Safelink Wireless and reported my phone stolen and they said they would ship me out a new phone the following week. I checked the mailbox every day and nothing came. I called back and was told I didn't qualify for a replacement phone. I called again and was told the same thing. I kept telling them I was already approved for a replacement phone. I was tired of being treated so rudely so I cancelled my phone number and that very next day the replacement phone arrived. So you called to have it activated just to be told I had to reapply all over again. I did so and was asked to upload photos of my Link card, front and back and proof of address with a picture of a utility bill.

We don't pay utilities where I live. I submitted the back and front of my Link card and pictures of my lease which by the way my apartment is paid for by the Cook County Housing Authority. So that right there is proof that I'm on a low income budget. So they keep denying me service because my name isn't on my Link card. In Illinois we don't have our names on our Link cards. Needless to say I still haven't received service yet. I would have never had this problem if there was some organization and communication between the customer and the company. They have some very rude employees who can barely speak English. It just makes it harder on the customers. Thanks for nothing Safelink Wireless. I hope you lose all your customers.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I completed the application and provided proof of income, date of birth and address, both my email and USPS, but they didn't follow through. Whenever I called I got the runaround. They now have information about me I entrusted to them assuming they were competent and honorable. How naive. Even if they don't sell my information, it's in their system and could be stolen.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Although SafeLink Wireless (SW)-- customer service-telephone reps, supervisors, and managers are mostly all friendly, seem sincere, and try to help, the way their COMPANY does business is very unreliable, untrue, and even suspect of borderline fraud, in my opinion. (When I mentioned "fraud" to one supervisor, she got angry and curt with me, defending SW. She was the only unfriendly rude rep I encountered. And I have even graciously given formal in-file compliments to most of her other colleagues. When I turned the tables on her though, asking her how would she feel, if she were an applicant, if SW treated her the way they treated me?-- she had no answer.)

You see, my former Lifeline provider (Blue Jay Wireless) from June 2018, no longer serviced us. So we were warned in April to find another carrier (which are few in my State.) So I right away started early, in search of one (a month and a half before my former carrier would end.) I researched the internet, and virtually only found SW, for my State. It had the highest (5 stars) ranking (later which I would suspect had been posted by SW themselves.) Only now, after 5 MONTHS of applying, and being rejected, for no good reason, have I just seen on ConsumerAffairs.com, the preponderance of 1-star ratings and negative reviews. At least now I know I was not the only one misled, enduring their runaround. And the sad thing is, I know I am ELIGIBLE, having been a Lifeline member the past 4 1/2 years!

Sorry for the length!--but this is what went down. SafeLink almost never kept their promises or their end of the deal from the get-go. For example, telling me they'd send the application form in 5-7 business days, but laughably-- or cryingly-- didn't send it until about 2 months later!--even after my repeated calls, by which time I didn't need it anymore, having necessarily arranged for phone interviews in lieu.

Then, rejecting my proof documents for reasons that changed every time I asked; so I again sent ("better") documents, even more than they asked for, taking further time and expense and effort, (by postal mail no less--because their FAX line was busy--even during their regular business hours, till I finally gave up at my local FedEx)... only to have SW (have the nerve to) tell me, weeks later when I had to check what was happening, that they never received my envelope, so to send all the documents yet AGAIN (a THIRD time!?) --which I absolutely refused to, so frustrated by them--for even if I did, whose to say they wouldn't simply say that they never got them, again?! What's going on with their postal department?! And I am a meticulous person, triple-checking each time that my mailing was right!

Then, at my point of giving up, not knowing what else to do in dealing with them, lo' and behold SW sent me a "final" correspondence with a last-step short form (yayyy!) to fill-out, send back, then they would send me my smartphone, so they said. I guess they'd decided all was well, maybe found my documents, and finally approved me! I was so happy! More weeks passed (as I have always given them a lot of leeway, you see), and (I should've known)... nothing came from them.

So I called (my umpteenth time) to check what was going on? And to my shock, they now had the ultimate nerve--to inform me that my WHOLE 4 1/2 MONTHS APPLICATION PROCESS was REJECTED!!! Why? For the simple reason that I had exceeded their 2 months limit for applying--(WHAT? !--Something of course I had NEVER been told of before.) I could not believe it! I reminded them that the reason for the delay was not me (who had followed EVERYTHING they asked of me and MORE!) but THEM!!!-- (almost NEVER doing what they said they would do, making me wait, until I'd have to call them again and again and again over months!)

Plus, as said before, they never even sent me the formal paper application till those very 2 months later, hello?!! And moreover, if their so-called time limit was real, then why did they themselves, a month after the so-called deadline had passed, send me that final form as a last successful step, promising to thereafter send my smartphone? They are BOGUS!

They then, after the past months of all my trying, added injury to insult by telling me I would need to RE-APPLY. NO WAY!--I told them. I shouldn't have to! They already have my personal info/documents in their system, how can they even think to ask me to literally do it all over again (yes, even sending the SAME documents they already have)...only with the possibility of them ending it in the very same way, in rejection? How gullible do they think I am? My former Lifeline (Blue Jay) took me 5 MINUTES to apply for, with people on the street, and now doing it remotely is taking me 5 MONTHS? So the good Manager told me he would send all I said to the higher-ups, and that I should await their reply in, yes...their infamous "5-7 business days". Needless to say... you guessed it... that never happened.

So, 3 weeks after, a few days ago, after much pondering, I decided to give them one last chance, before reporting them to you and the like, so others would be wary, and not have to go through what I went through. I called SW to find out the status of the Company's reply to me. A supervisor or even manager (albeit very kindly, and well-meant) told me that she did not know what was happening with SW's reply to me--about NOT rejecting my 5 months application because of the process extending over their 2 month time limit (delays caused by them). She had no idea. And sadly (for me) that, yes, I would have to start from square one, all over again.

But this time, she said, with such positivity, that I would be approved! So, fool that I am, with trepidation, I believed her, and started the reapplication process again. But at the end of our call, I asked her how was it that she could now guarantee that my application would go through with success? Was I going to be dealing with specifically her from now on? She soon had to admit-- that no, she would not be the one to help me further, that the very SAME process would be done, and that she only HOPED I would get my smartphone.

Finally, today, shrinking from the thought of, for a 3rd time, amassing my documents, photocopying them, postal sending them to SW--the SAME documents of proof of eligibility I had sent twice before!...and feeling indignation that in principle I should not even have to be RE-applying, repeating a process I'd already in good faith endured in earnest, whose info is already in their system... yet with no guarantee that they would even approve me at the process's end, even when I should be... I instead decided to not go further, but to write to you, to warn others in the same or similar situation. Besides, even if I were to finally get a phone from them, would I even want to deal with them from then on? You know the answer.

Now in fairness, SW says their delays came from having to follow all the strict guidelines set by the Federal government. So strict, I ask myself, that SW claims they never received my 2nd mailing of documents? So strict that they then, oppositely (but thankfully for me) send me a final form for me to send back to them, as just one step away from getting my smartphone, they promise!...only that they never send it? So I ask, how so-called strictly is SafeLink Wireless really running their operation?

Actually, I really do not think they are so much fraudulent (though they may surely come close to it), as they are extremely incompetent. They must either be dishonest or not know what they are doing. Whatever the case, applicant, beware! Yes, it's free (and I surely would love that), but the hidden cost may be months of wasted time, energy, and "sanity".

Although I can barely afford it (and sadly, I AM, as I said, eligible for Lifeline) I almost now prefer to pay some money for a cell/smartphone I can find of value. First, I will check the only other 2 Lifeline providers servicing my State. Yet if those do not work for me, I will look for an inexpensive but sufficient plan (but not the omnipresent TracFone, as it is the parent company of SafeLink Wireless.) And if I cannot sustain one, I will sadly go back to not having a mobile phone, but only my landline at home. However, having tasted being linked to the rest of my family and friends by my first Lifeline beloved basic brick (non-smart) cellphone, I do wish to, and it would be nice to, continue the "connection".

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was given the runaround on several different occasions by the customer service representatives as well as a manager. The individuals at Safelink need better training!!! I felt like I was talking to a 5-year-old otp.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I would never recommend Safelink Wireless to be a sponsor for the free government phones. Their way of conducting business doesn't appear to be in the best interest of the consumer. First, they cut me off before my time was up to be re-certified. Second, after I gave them the required information, such as my food stamp card, they kept asking me to verify my address. I sent them every personal document in my house, including my W-2 statement from prior employment, picture ID, SNAP (food stamp program), and they still weren't satisfied. They kept saying my address is not in the government database. How absurd is that??? This has been going on for two months and still no approval and no phone, yet they are still holding copies of my personal ID information. I do not trust them. Very suspicious in Washington D.C.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Had this phone 3 days and cannot dial out. They cut my damn phone and I never got another phone from any company. I don't understand why they give out government phones for EBT cardholders in need and they cut off the phone and leave texting on. Safelink sucks.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Safelink (Tracfone) provides inconsistent service, crappy phones that stop working after a few months, data and minutes cheating and shortages, and when you call in for tech assistance... It is outsourced to a country that could care less and has no respect for the U.S. I know that when you are down on your luck a free cell phone comes in handy, especially emergencies or simply letting family and friends know that you are still alive... But what good is that if the stupid thing doesn't work! I am cancelling my account and having to live without a phone now... Thanks a lot SAFELINK!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

It isn't "free" because you work too hard to get service! Would give it a zero if possible. Impossible to get account re-activated. Poor excuses for no service (can't read address on all proofs submitted, more than one person in household, agent's computer's password expired, please re-apply again and again, I could go on but you get the idea). Got service, then no service. Nobody can tell me why it doesn't work! Takes them forever to pull up account. Won't transfer to agent in US (by law they have to). Takes more than the 48 hours to review appeal. Get the runaround over and over. Going to submit complaint to PUC. Terrible way to run a business!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I attempted to apply for Safelink service for my daughter with Down syndrome as she qualified. After they checked her information they proceeded to tell me my daughter was DECEASED. I sent documents with current dates on them and they still denied her. This is crazy! I strongly suggest calling Lifeline support center ** or Universal Administration Services in the United States 1-800-234-9473 option 1, option 1, Option 0. Stay away from Safelink incompetent company that can stress you out. I put up with it for 6 mo. NO MORE STRESS!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I've been with them for years. NOW... all of a sudden I am getting my phone shut off every month. Saying I need to "recertify". I've uploaded my documents time after time. They just did it AGAIN. I've simply been told to Re-enroll. So I've enrolled now. Had three different account numbers after they cancelled them. I am suspicious that the reps are just doing it to collect a commission. I've been bounced around on technical support, just like the others have! Dealt with TracFone tech support. It turned out it was on the Safelink side. I just now uploaded my documents AGAIN. This is 4 times I have uploaded documents, and I've sent in EVERYTHING. My taxes, my food stamp card, my income tax statement, my driver's license. I am getting scared now, since they have so much information. It wasn't always this way. Now I am very nervous dealing with them. I don't know what to do now. Contact the FCC? I think the Safelink reps are SCAMMIN'!

Updated on 08/30/2018: RESOLVED MY SAFELINK PROBLEM: I had been with them for 2 years. GOOD deal. I liked them a lot. Now these problems. They lost my account altogether once. Then recertifying, uploading documents again and again. Re-enrolling... this last time (4 days ago) they said they'd have the documents approved in 2 hours. Well I just had them cancel it. Then they marked it as "rejected". Man WHATEVER! Support is pretty easy to get a hold of, but they don't know what they are doing! One guy wanted me to tear my phone apart. BUT... the problem was SAFELINK didn't put minutes on it. Then... it got shut off again. Call after call to their departments. Like others, I have medical issues, and I am without phone service. Six months ago, I would have given the company 5 stars!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have had Safelink for almost 2 years. Transferring my phone number from another major unsubsidized carrier was tortuous to say the least - time-consuming for both myself and Safelink. Part of the problem was that I brought my own unlocked phone. They were always patient, considerate, and stuck with the process no matter the time or energy and I never have had to wait more than a few minutes to talk with Customer Service.

The phone service itself has been excellent as well, not a single glitch. This month is the one time I have run up against the 350 minute talk limit. I just wish they had some kind of a warning that I was getting close because I ended up well over an hour with Customer Service only to find out that because I exceeded 350 minutes. I now have only Internet and texting until my minutes renew on the 1st of next month. I am giving thought to switching to another provider that has more talk time. Otherwise, if I could give Safelink 10 Stars I would!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had issues with my first phone, non working SIM card. Spent 73 minutes on the phone with customer service, which is terrible by the way. They don't answer your questions either! After trying to figure out why it wasn't working they just said they'd send a replacement. Got it yesterday, Surprise!!! Same issue!!! So I chatted on the online help because I didn't feel like talking to anyone that has English as their second language because it's really hard to understand sometimes. Didn't really directly answer me. I just cancelled the service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Well, the overall review of this "business" is truth enough, aye? If there were a less than 1 star I'd have given. The most abrupt customer service agents I have dealt with in 52 years! They borderline on insulting. They offer no way to allow you to offer proof of minutes used. They won't hear anything that may take them more than a 2 min chat comm. I allege Safelink is scalping minutes and forcing the unfortunate users who are unemployed, disabled etc to buy more minutes unnecessarily. What a disgrace to America. With a cloak of helping the less fortunate when they are filling their fat pockets from the poor and needy. A total and utter disgrace. I will be filing a informal with the FCC and a cc with the BBB. Wow.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I got charged $199 when I decided to go with another internet provider which is their setup fee which they waived because I signed a 2 year deal. I'm glad I cancelled with them after 3 weeks so I wouldn't be charged for 2 years of crappy internet speeds. 15 Mb download over 2 Mb upload compared to Cable One 50 Mb download over 5 Mb upload and Cable One was cheaper per month and Cable one has a $50 setup fee compared to the $199. They were not forgiving on that setup fee at all so looks like I got the short end of the stick.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Regardless of the circumstances that got any of us to that point, we’ve all experienced hardships in some form. It can happen to any one of us. None of us are exempt from this. With that being said, we should be grateful for free services that offer some reprieve to the circumstances we can face when this happens. I was grateful when I received a Safelink phone through the lifeline program in August of 2017. My regular phone service was soon to be disconnected. I had become ill in recent months and being a single mother, I knew I needed a phone with active service. I could no longer afford the phone services I had and so Safelink seemed like the best choice for us when it came to minimizing expenses.

I was appreciative that we had a program that offered this kind of help but that feeling has changed and I want to WARN EVERYONE I can about this company because although this was a free service provided by the government, it came with great costs and if I had it to do over again, I would have never chosen Safelink Wireless as a phone provider. I would have been better off attaching string to two solo cups as a way to communicate with anyone. In all honesty, I would have received better service!!!

You receive 300 minutes with the phone, texts and voicemail and limited data. Your minutes are used when you make and receive calls and voicemails. When I received my phone, most of the minutes would be used up from having a recycled number where voicemails being left for the former user of the number were being left daily. Voicemails that weren’t even meant for us would take an average of 50 minutes away in the course of two days.

When I would call customer service, I could barely hear them, they told me they would not replace the minutes that were used and that having a recycled number where the voicemail service was still affiliated to the former owner was something I would have to accept but that they would not replace the wasted minutes. The data on my phone would be used in less than a day despite not even accessing the Internet. I was told that apps were ran on my phone despite my knowledge and that I had to accept that as well. I rarely received texts from anyone and if I did, it was a day later. Doctor's offices claimed my phone number was always out of service when they called.

I was constantly having calls dropped or was unable to hear the other person when I would make or receive calls. Sometimes my phone would never ring despite someone sitting right next to me calling my phone. My voicemails were always blank as if the voice on the other end had been muted purposely. My son became sick in February and doctor's offices and receptionists from his school always said that the phone would either disconnect when they would call or would go straight to voicemail. They claimed to leave several messages, messages I never received!!

I had applied for Social Security in months prior and was denied because they claimed I never returned their calls.. Calls I never got! I would receive letters saying my requests for assistance for medical care and legal help for me and my son had been denied due to being unable to reach me with the phone number I had given. Emails were sent from certain doctors offices and legal services and although I would receive them through a different server not affiliated with my phone, they would never show up in my inbox on the Safelink phone!!

My son and I were stranded on the roadside and my Safelink phone had no service!! It rarely had service and calling customer service for help is just a waste of time!! They will leave you with more questions than answers and each time you call for help, your phone service will only get worse. If you make a complaint against them, you will get hit with spam and obscene texts or your data and minutes will cease to exists... not that it does any good to have them anyway.

This service may be free but it will cost you so much!! If you are a single mother, if you are elderly, if you are an evil, hateful, person just looking for a free phone, whatever the case may be, please do yourself a favor and find another program... I say this with love and empathy and compassion for any and everyone who is looking for a safe and reliable phone service that they can count on... DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I had signed up for Safelink Wireless and was accepted. They sent me a phone and a unusable sim card. I spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service while they sent me to different workers to figure out what the problem was, and it still was not resolved, so they sent me another sim card. Well, this same thing happened 4 times! And on the 4th try they said they would send me a new one that will for sure work. I waited for the sim card and when I got the envelope in the mail, the envelope was EMPTY!!! No sim. At this point I was fed up and just canceled. I am still getting mail from Safelink telling me I need to use my phone or it will be shut off!!!! I don't want anything to do with Safelink and every time I call to stop the crap mail, they say I'm not in the system. The customer service is horrible and the worst I have ever experienced. None of them know what they're doing or talking about.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Safelink Wireless gives a free phone to low income seniors. It sounds like a marvelous idea, but in reality it is the most frustrating company I have ever dealt with! My elderly neighbor is partially blind and hard of hearing. I have been trying to get him recertified because they cut his phone off. Since June 2, 2018, I have made nine calls and have been on the line for at least 30 minutes each time. By the time I reach a rep, I am already frustrated. Each time they tell me something different. We have been jumping through hoops for 2 MONTHS!!! Today I asked to speak to a supervisor. She promised me she would send me the correct form as soon as we hung up. It never came! I think a company such as this is inexcusable! Every bad review you read is true. Why can't our government be associated with a company who respects seniors? My friend is beside himself and he cannot afford a phone, so he is at their mercy. What a shame...

Original review: July 17, 2018

I just spent the last 3 hours with SafeLink. They were trying to find my account. Excuse me, they have been sending me information about my cell phone and other important items. Well first they sent me the wrong Sim card for the phone I bought from Motorola, then I just got the one that fit today. So I did exactly what the information told me to do. I called to get the phone activated. I am currently with Assurance Wireless and just wanted them to transfer service. Using my phone number... after all was done a "SUPERVISOR" got online and assured me all was settled and done.

I called my daughter and asked her to call me to see if all was well. They did not transfer my number. In fact they even gave me an area code that I think is Fla. and I live in CA... Now this supervisor assured me I had my old number, so like the other lady. I have very many medical people and important people that have this number...They need to be accounted for. I was leaving Assurance for this very type of customer service.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs