1.21/5
Based on 122 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Last updated: May 23, 2018

609 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 23, 2018

Called to cancel service for deceased mother. Tried to called customer service. Had to call 5 different times on two days and answer 10 computer generated questions each time just to get to talk with a person from the Philippines AND I had to lie and say I was interested in a new service just to talk with a human being! Then I get a recording stating all representatives are busy, but I could press 1 to be put into the callback cue without losing my place in line.

They called back at 12:30 AM!!! Message received said to press "1" to talk with the representative, and I did press 1 only to hear the computer-generated message stating that "No representatives are available now." Really!!! THEY ARE ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH REFERENCING CUSTOMER SERVICE. A BBB rating of A+ ??? Someone needs to see the reviews. Sorry, they are FAR from a A+ rating. Plus, the phones provided are some of the poorest quality phones available.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was trying to install SAFELINK sim card that they have sent me. For 2 days, and over 2 hours and 16 minutes, SAFELINK refused to order me another phone or replace me my 2 hrs and 16 minutes, since my TracFone was smashed from an attack and assault brought upon me. So I asked for the SUPERVISOR and they (Ms. ** and some other technical support operator) thought it was FUNNY draining my PRE-PAID minutes from a FREE WiFi App since I'm on a FIXED LOW INCOME. They refused to finish the installation and left me with NO CELLPHONE SERVICE and no REFERENCE #.

I get seizures and it worries me that I won't have a phone available when I have one of those episodes. The WiFi App is not capable of DIALING 911. This company should be investigated, reprimanded, and punished/suspended. 'Cause if I have an episode and can't get in touch with anyone, that could be a LIABILITY on SAFELINK, if anything serious results from the NEGLIGENCE. They even gave me a cellphone that is TAPPED, too. ** is not recognized by any bill paying service, yet it's the number SAFELINK has given me. Thanks OBAMA, your phones are as USELESS as you were as a PRESIDENT. I recorded the calls.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I'm truly concerned with how this company has any involvement with the government. I've been on the phone for a total of 5 hours for a sim card. I've been transferred countless times and hung up on. How disrespectful for absolutely no reason. How do we go about reporting this company?

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was qualified with California Lifeline on March and received the first SIM card from Safelink. Then I called the Safelink customer support to port-in my number from the old carrier, an easy task that should take only few minutes to complete. The lady that was helping me did not understand or speak English well enough to be in that position. I had to repeat every word at least 5 times. I could hear the clicking on the keyboard as she was trying to type simultaneously, but for every line of information I gave her I did not hear more than 3 or 4 clicks. Then I had to repeat the entire line again and again. I was very frustrated since it was clear that she did not possess the ability to comprehend and type the information I was giving her. After about 3 long hours I heard her talking to another person but I could not understand nor recognized the language.

After consulting with the other person about 3 minutes it was decided that I need a new SIM card so she proceed with that and ended the call. I received the new SIM card and called in for activation and to port-in the old number. The exact same thing as my first phone call except it took only half as long or 1 1/2 hours. Then I was told that it's done and my cell it's going to be working normal with my old number in few hours and I was instructed to restart my phone a few times for the port-in to be finalized. Well I did, but no number got ported-in. I was very disappointed and decided to reinstall my old SIM card and called to pay for one more month of service when I was told, that my account is frozen because of the 2 unsuccessful port-out attempt and my number is lost and I need to buy a new SIM card which is going to have a new number.

I was devastated and confused. I called the Safelink customer support line for the 3rd times and this time the rep admitted that the other two who helped me had no idea of what they are doing, she apologized for their lack of knowledge and disastrous work, then she typed all the information and gave me a reference number for my case. She also said that I am going to receive a new SIM card in 2-3 days! And that was about 2 weeks ago!!

I was using my old number for nearly 6 years, and all the people I talk to, such as family and friends, as well as all the organizations that I conduct business with, like banks, credit cards, SSA and utility companies just to name a few, have been using the same number to identify me for about 6 years. It took couple of Safelink's untrained Reps just about 6 hours to destroy and totally wipe out. It was obviously crucial to port-in and keep my old number since I have set up totally paperless accounts and use internet to pay my bills, update my information, send and receive text and messages and etc... Etc. For security reasons I had also set up the two step verification method using both password and a verification code texted to my number. I have lost contact with the outside world and cannot even make a doctor appointment without having to go through dozens of barricades to be verified and prove my existence!

Original review: May 16, 2018

This is a company where you cannot speak to a U.S. Representative who you can understand what they are saying. Safe Link is SUPPOSED to provide free government service, however, myself and so many others are having the same problems I am having. You send proof showing that you are qualified, then they say you need more paperwork. This has been going on for months and now after an agonizing effort to get approved, I finally got the approval, told my free cell was on the way. I was stalled, hung up on and lies to whoever runs company? I called again and I was not going to get my free phone, probably never would, but I could buy one? What kind of government would this to happen? Online website showing government free service, so why is it I have to buy a free cell? And cannot get any help from a United States Representative or are the websites just more lies??? I have no order number.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have been with Safelink for about 10 years and never had a problem. When I asked for a replacement phone I got one in a couple of days without having to send the old one back first. The next time, I did have to send the old one back first. So I was without service for about a day, probably because some people were not sending the old phones back. Three days ago, I saw an Assurance Rep at the grocery store and signed up for Assurance because it was convenient to do so. Safelink ported my old phone number over to Assurance with no problems. The only thing I didn't like was trying to understand the foreign voices. I will see how it goes with Assurance and the new smartphone. My little ole TracFone from Safelink was rugged.

Original review: May 9, 2018

NO STARS!!! Absolutely atrocious company. Was approved for a Safelink Obama Phone Service in Chicago in a temporary room set up outside social services. I showed her my ID, Snap and SSI info and was approved immediately. I got the phone but sent it back thinking I only needed minutes. I have now have moved to another state and have been using the website to upload proof that I am eligible. If one letter or name does not match up on all items perfectly they will deny you. I have been trying to get another phone again for over a year through the website and they have no way of telling you where the popup stores are. Terrible! Frustrating! Especially for a disabled person!!! Shame on you!!! Apparently this is how they are getting out of giving people emergency phones that people like me need desperately. This after SS was able to reduce my check to $500 a month with a rule they "Made up" says legal aid.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Never in my life have I had to deal with such an incompetence, intellectually challenged, unprofessional, uncouth, useless bunch of people. They seem to intentionally hire the rudest and nonchalant group of people. I had zero service from the time I got the phone to the day I told them to cancel it. Absolute rubbish! Was told by a rep that I needed to go stand outside in order for me to make a phone call! Lied to repeatedly. Was spoken to like a 2 year old. If I could give them negative stars, I swear to all things sacred, I would.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Applied and sent ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, yet still rejected my application. You cannot speak with a live representative, there is no field to read the reason for rejecting the application, other than it states did not receive requested documents. YES THEY DID! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SAFELINK!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Would you believe I have been trying since Jan, 2018 to get regular monthly airtime added to my account. Prior to that as far back as October I had to call in each month to ask for my airtime because it didn't automatically. Their excuse, my documents weren't updated. My computer name doesn't match name on documents. OK. The most horrible thing was listening to the reps laughing and talking about customers. They are rude as well as the supervisors. Nothing gets done. Is this how to treat people, handle a government account? These are our tax dollars. Is my account fixed? NO. I had enough. Just turn it off. Something needs to be done. These people are plain rude.

Original review: April 15, 2018

It took me 5 hrs over 3 week period to even get the phone working. Wanted to bring old phone number to new phone. It took 3 sims cards! Talking to people you cannot understand and I can't even call out! Looking at all these complaints I have been reading, I think a class action lawsuit should be brought about as they are being paid by the US government and not doing a good job, I cannot believe the number of complaints and no suit has been filed!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been a recipient of a Safelink phone service for less than one year. My near worthless smartphone was dropped and broken in December 2017. I asked the usual question of whether I could get a replacement and they refused and said I had to provide my own phone. I got a cell phone from my daughter, an iPhone 5S that she has had and used till she upgraded and it still works fine. Of course the dimwit CS rep from some Nigerian location said it was a no-good. I know someone else who uses the exact model and it's fine. Once I got a flip phone from my son that is a TracFone and acceptable, the imbecile that answered the next call that I waited 1 hour and 08 minutes to talk to (or no, try to translate what he was saying, in a whisper no less) told me that the 2nd application that I sent in on January 18, 2018 was rejected because I checked boxes that were not required.

It has been 4 months of back and forth with CS reps who clearly do not understand what they are doing at all and this morning I checked my status and it is still pending due to rejected application. They were to send my another application in the mail, a month ago and it has not arrived. I have never in my entire life had any customer service dept that is as uneducated, unqualified, lazy, stoned on whatever herb or toxin that this nugget is smoking be left to handle customer accounts and being paid to do so by the government with MY OWN TAX MONEY!! Safelink is obviously taking funding and pocketing it since nobody can get their phone services to work properly and nobody can get any sort of reasonable answer to why their stuff is not fixed after months. I think it is time to report this place to whoever approves the funding to them and have them removed as providers for government phone services.

I tried to go thru Assurance Wireless instead and they refused me because they say it shows that I have an active account with Safelink, which I clearly do not. The criminals at Safelink are showing me as an active client however, and fraudulently. Here is a link for any of you who do not have a phone to use because of these cretins. I use it now and I am happy with my free talk and text service. If you have internet access you can call on free minutes and text unlimited at a link on your Android or iPhone - Textfree. They give you a phone number and they offer little 20 or 30 second videos that will give you additional free talk minutes for each one you watch. I got 100 minutes in an hour or so just by watching the videos. Hope this helps some of you.

If you don't have internet at your house just go to any place where you can connect and you can use your phone. I have been using this service for the past two months, and I am grateful. Safelink is a scam and I am reporting them to whatever agency that I can report them to. BBB is first on my list. Next I might go to our local news station and see if my pal who works there might want to run a little story on this cluster hump that is Safelink Wireless. TracFone might be interested to hear of this too since they are in bed with them and providing services. Good luck to anyone who has to ever deal with Safelink.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have had Safelink Service since 2015, with relatively few problems until February of this year, my phone was deactivated. I use my phone and that is not the reason why and no reason was given when I called, and it was reactivated. In March, I did not receive the minutes, I called and was told they reissued them, I still never received. In January I kept getting notices my service was ending, when I called I was told I was enrolled. In February I received the same messages, my service was ending, I called and was told that I needed to re-certify by 4/1, was not available, call back next week. I got this every week.

On 3/31, I was still unable to re-certify, but needed to be done by 4/1. I asked how do I re-certify, you will not let me. I was told I could purchase airtime with them to continue my service. If, Lifeline is a government based income program, why do I have to purchase airtime with TracFone? I cancelled my service. I was told it will be a year before I can apply with another carrier, because the plan with Safelink included data and you had to have the plan a year. It has been well over a year since the data was included, I did not ask for it and it was not used.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I began getting emails and text telling me that I would be having my service cancelled. I called and they said they did see any problems because I had a few more months on recertification and nothing had changed except my last name due to a divorce. I continued to get these texts saying they were going to cancel my service and called again. Again someone that barely spoke English and was hard to understand did not know why I was getting those and said on their side of the system things were good.

Well, today I have no service and their system is trying to force me to pay for the poor service I was receiving. I would not pay for it for all the trouble they had put me through plus I can prove I'm low income and have each year. I call this a bait and switch consumer fraud. I will no longer use this service and just borrow phones for a call to my doctor and let them know I no longer have phone service due to Safelink. This program is a fraud and if there is a problem, no one will fix it. The taxpayers should be furious that their tax monies are being wasted on this program.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I'm a person with low income and can barely payphone service therefore trusted Safelink as an alternative to have said service. After getting their services and using the smartphone provided, I'm receiving notices in my address box stating they will shut down my services unless I use their phone which I had for days after activation. I tried calling the number provided to contact their support but it redirects me to an adult service hotline. After using ANOTHER number I found their recorded message indicates I have to pay for said service even though I was told this was a FREE service with limited minute usage. This is a poor display and a sick joke to those with low income and who can't afford phone services. I feel like Safelink is playing pranks and taking advantage of such customers.

Original review: March 30, 2018

This is supposed to be a Lifeline provider. They send you a piece of ** phone, then when it gets lost or stolen, you have to go out and buy another phone! Worst Lifeline company out there! Stay far away from SafeLink!

Original review: March 30, 2018

This company should not be receiving any funds from the government. Their "customer service" is terrible. They are surly and uncooperative. I tried twice to get an application to renew my contract. They said they sent the applications but never did. My service was discontinued without my knowledge.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This has to be the most absolute worst customer service, that any phone company could ever have. I had Safelink Wireless for five years until it was time to recertify in Dec. 2017. I've faxed, mailed and uploaded my documentation and application to them four times within two months and each time that I check the status, it says pending, application approved documentation rejected. When I call customer service the representatives are rude.

I have to ask for a supervisor, just to try and get a understanding of what is going on with the status of my application. The representative (supervisor) tells me that she will approve my application status again and all I need to do is go online and upload the document and they will verify the information in no time. After submitting the documentation, I check the status in a couple of weeks and the cycles starts over again. It is ridiculous to provide such poor customer service to anyone. I've decided to file a complaint with the BBB and whatever else it may take, so that no other person has to go through this.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get a phone from this company. They kept saying I already had a device, which I didn't. They issued me a number, but never sent a device to activate to the number. Finally I got the Universal Service Administrative Company (the company appointed to collect data on customers that have a free govt phone and service) to help me with SafeLink. They called SafeLink directly in a 3 way call with me, to try to get it sorted out. SafeLink stated the only way I could have service is to bring my own device. When the rep with USAC asked what was the reason for me not to be able to get the free phone, the representatives didn't have an answer, but reiterated I could have an application for the bring your own device service. The USAC rep had to repeat the question several times. I am eligible for a free phone, but SafeLink refuses to send one.

I have no phone to bring and no money to buy one or I wouldn't need their service. No income is less than LOW income and SafeLink should be stripped of their rights for refusing to give service to qualified LifeLine customers while accepting Federal Funding to do so. Being in a rural area, there aren't choices of who actually has coverage where I live, so because of SafeLink's horrible service, I might not be able to get a phone for myself at all. I'd give them zero stars and would go lower if I could. By the way, the Better Business Bureau must be getting paid off. They have SafeLink Wireless as having an A+ in reviews.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I was with Safelink for 5 years and left a year and half ago when my flip phone started acting up. They sent me a replacement that was having the same issue, then a second one and after hours and days on the phone trying to resolve this issue I ended up forced to go with another lifeline company who at the time had a great deal by giving us an android phone that Safelink didn’t offer. A year with the company I went with that had great customer experience but poor 3g network. I decided to return to Safelink on January 3rd 2018. What a journey. 2 pages of notes, over 20 supervisors, and probably 40+ reps.. hours and days to get my enrollment id attached again that they never deleted. Now I’ve been on the phone 40 minutes on 2nd escalation on why the enrollment id does not still attach. I’ve done all you, Safelink has asked me to do.

4 ticket numbers last one being **...ticket number **, ticket number ** and many, many confirmation call numbers. Poor rep who just answered. Hopefully she can figure it out...why my enrollment is not attaching, now I find it’s because of my recertification…certification unsuccessful. A new one. Yet on the account on their end I’m enrolled and still pending. So this poor rep.. I hope will finally help me. Safelink is the best lifeline service as far as service and network but customer service is a whole different story and this service is fine until you have an issue then good luck with getting it resolved on 1-10 phone calls if you are lucky! I’m giving up after this! if not finally resolved. My last call confirmation after waiting 30 minutes for a second level rep and having to explain all for the 100th time.

Oh and I’ve been calling from my computer otherwise guess what.. My minutes would have been used up trying to resolve all this and since my enrollment id still cannot get attached I can’t get the monthly plan either. Go figure. I have two pages of notes front and back. Anyone like them? I’m not sure at this point if I send corporate a detailed assessment if they will even figure it out since over 40 reps and 20 supervisors have not been able to? Is it cause I left and now this is the punishment. Lol. No closure at this point except for a poor customer service, inconsistent...now I’m being told after all this I have to disenroll and enroll again. Well if I disenrolled over a year and a half ago and tried to re enroll on January 3, 2018 and the system did not let me online or with many reps... Why am I having to disenroll again? Now I’m told it’s because of regulations.

Ok she’s trying to do this for me today... I hope someone here takes notice so I don’t have to spend more time in an assessment to their corporate office!!! Her manager that there are options for me to disenroll and enroll but she doesn’t have access. It I have to wait till they.. So is they. Oh the administration office cancels my account which there is no explanation why over a year and a half ago it wasn’t when I formally left Safelink my account wasn’t cancelled. I fell in a loophole according to this rep and her manager no resolution. I just have to wait for administration. End of call. How long, who knows?

Wonderful rep but her hands are tied due to Safelink's administration processes... Confirmation call # today # ** not the rep’s fault. It’s the administrative dept of Safelink. Awful. Let me take it to prayer. It’s either this or get a lawyer! I lost very important calls last month due to disconnections also thru this process and not being able to get your plan! Safelink.. another lifeline company gets the same services you have. I guarantee you if you do not change your customer service administration you will lose in the long run! My advice to you!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I am not understanding why I can never talk to anyone!!! The phone keeps hanging up!!! Nothing is free! This service is some **!!! If I could I would give ** zero stars!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Signed up for a free phone end of October 2017. I was told I can keep my old number and have unlimited data and my phone won’t get disconnected until my old number get transferred to SafeLink. But my old phone number stopped working in 10 days. And after 3 weeks, and 3 sim cards, They still could not let me keep my old number. I had no phone for next two weeks. Finally I had to settle for new number and phone started working for two months. But no unlimited data.

After two months (In December 2017) it stopped working. They never created ticket number, and keep giving me ticket number and told me to mention the number when I call. When I gave number, they do not have any record of that number. After 3 weeks and two sim cards and many phone calls they sent me another phone and sim card with another number. Did not notify me that I have new number. I called at least 25 times and I told the story when I called your company that how my phone stopped working and all to fix the problem.

February 11th, 2018, my phone stopped working again. I guess it will take again 3 weeks to get a working phone. They put me and my life in a great deal of danger, gave me emotional and physical pain, and suffering. I am continue to be in danger, and emotional and physical pain and suffering as I am keep getting feeling that every month or two I have to go through all this. My body started developing anxiety and stress in deep level. I am planning to sue this company and hope some of you will join me.

Updated on 2/12/2018: Today 2/12/2018, Patricia called from CA Public Utilities. She said my phone should not be disconnected. My Lifeline account is fine. They don’t require to do any updates. I should get 2 GB, but I get only 1 GB. Patricia said she will send a letter to their corporate office and they will have 20 days to reply to CA Public Utilities and me explaining why it's happening. Please, everyone, file a complain to make our future best.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

It took eight phone calls, with numerous cut-offs during phone calls, to get my phone working again. It was deactivated without reason. If I want a defective phone replaced, I must pay for it even though I notified them within the warranty period. They sent me the worst phone - buttons that malfunction, and an old-style phone with tiny, tiny buttons that are difficult to read and press. I am not elderly, but middle-aged and somewhat myopic, and they have twice refused to send a phone to accommodate my eyesight issues; or even the issues with the phone itself.

As to the deactivation, who knows? They don't seem to have a clue. I have made more than the minimum phone calls required. I was told I need to reactivate, but when I did that, I was told my reactivation wasn't due for months. Hours spent on the phone got me service reactivation and a replacement phone on the way that is exactly the same model I have been having problems with - a phone that harkens back 12 years in the technology. Ultimately, if I want a phone I can read and use, I need to shell out pocket money. If I do that, it will be when I can switch off this rip-off service. What a surprise that the government has contracted with the most expensive and least consumer-friendly cell service.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Had become a Safelink customer, signed up through one of their Booths & would buy Data from them on a regular basis. Ordered a replacement phone through their 1800 378 1684 number, because the phone they gave me, was not working anymore. Called today, to find out why it had been 3 weeks and I had not received my phone yet and they start asking, "Did you buy the phone?" That is Switch & Bait tactics, now they are pretending the phone conversation I had with the operator on their 1800 number Never Happened. I don't know where that order number is, I have no idea and will likely take some time to find... This goes back to the importance of writing things down and putting them in a place, where you remember. I don't like how they charged me, that is Dishonest. I don't even think, it's worth the effort to look for that receipt, knowing what their tactics are now???

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

First of all let me explain SafeLink is own by the richest man in Mexico so he could care less about all the problems people in the U.S. are having. He is making a ton of money off our government. He pays people in one of the foreign countries maybe a dollar an hour. Beware NEVER give personal information to someone on the street or coming to your home for free cell phone services. Do it online either at home, the library or a government office ie. Welfare, senior services or any local office of government.

That being said this is my experience with SafeLink. I wanted to switch services so I called SafeLink after being switched to various people someone who I thought knew what they were talking about told me I had to cancel my old service (Assurance) first which I did. So I call back to get new service and they tell me they can't give me service because it's still in the system that I still have service on Assurance and I have to wait 48 hours for it to clear the computer system. I worked in computers my whole life and that is simply not true. If you pay for something online it goes through right away. After arguing with this person for a few minutes, half understanding me I said, "Ok I'll call back". This was after being on the phone for over 1 1/2 hours.

So I called back a couple of days later. 1/29/18 another 2 hours and they tell me I can't get service. Turned back on until March 3 because I wasn't on the old plan for a year, something they could have informed me of in the first place. The only reason I wanted to switch is because I can use my old phone from MetroPCS which has a bigger screen and a lot more memory for storage than them pieces of crap that they give you but I can't afford the service anymore. I am so pIssed. Now I don't have any service at all cause I can't go back to Assurance. Once you quit one service you have to wait a year to get that service turned back on.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I guess I should expect this problem out of a state/federally funded program, but here's my dilemma... I have had a lot of troubles this year, & Safelink is just compounding it. I was due up for my re-certification (a.k.a. annual verification) over three months ago, & finally got a hold of my enrollment number so I could go through the movements of re-certifying. The method I used to get my phone in the first place was sending in my SNAP approval papers over the internet. Anyhow, the ** hit the fan with SNAP around the holidays (2017 into 2018) and needless to say it's right when I'm due up for my SNAP re-determination (my due date was Dec. 15th 2017 to get benefits for Jan. 2018). I'm still waiting for my approval from the ** state of Illinois.

I scanned and sent photos of my actual "Link" card and submitted it, as the directions on the website said that was an option as proof to still be eligible. I did all of this when I had 13 service days left, and as of today I have 2 service days left!!! I'm getting no correspondence by e-mail or paper mail. Does anybody know whether I'm going to be without a phone in the next couple days? Am I approved, or not? If not and they don't renew my service, can I still buy my own minutes & continue to use my phone? Anybody's help in giving me a straight answer on these things would be IMMENSELY appreciated, as without this phone I will be cut off from all communication!!! I NEED TO KEEP THIS PHONE GOING AS I CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY FOR SERVICE like I used to. PLEASE HELP!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Customer service is terribly horrible. Been with Safelink for over 8 yrs. They cut off my service for no reason multi times. Since this new incident in November 2016 I didn't get minutes. Had to speak with 4 diff people that day. Then Dec came. Still didn't get minutes for that month after they told me my yearly enroll was taking care of. Then here come December. No mins. Talked to 3 different people that month that again assured my account was good. Then here come January same thing. This time spoke w/ 7 people on the 1/3/18. The last person apologized for the experiences I had with rep and supervisors putting me on hold for over an hour because I escalated because no one seems to know what the hell to say or solve problems. They even (rep and supervisors) even hung up in my face.

Ok that last rep added mins then promise me I should have no more problems. I thought that was hope. But today I found out my service was off for 2 days of not receiving calls. I tried to call out today 01/28/18 and my phone was off. Called and rep was transferring me again to multi people. Just say I was on phone with them for over 2hrs with the same dept but with different reps and supervisors. I started out nice then after the 4th person I was cussing and I'm not a cussing person. It took me out of my character, I felt bad I acted that way but I was furious. The last supervisor told me to deal with it and wait 7-10 business days until my new enrolling get approved or buy mins. First of all if I won't buy mins from a lousy company, I'll go elsewhere. Please if you need a lifeline phone for free mins I would not recommend this company. (Maybe they all are like that in customer service?)

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Safelink turned my phone off. Said I'M not a customer! Yes I am, few days before had just added airtime, also now they have turned off my email. Hire and train your employees correctly. So irritating. Plus we get charged for calling them for help. That's unheard of!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I called the Safelink Wireless and asked the status on the process of the phone and line and see if it's approved since last time they told me it was approved but send us documents copies of 'social security and Medicare cards' so I said all right I'll fax those and they told me to call them back in a week and check up on the status.

So I called and the customer service sucked because I was on the phone with John and he Hang-up so I called back so I can talk to someone and complain about the customer service and how these people don't know how to do their work. So I talked to another John, so he was a manager or something so he tells me 'the application I filled out was wrong. The name of the last name is wrong and the date of birth is wrong' so I told him, "How did that happened when you guys has all the informations in the system."

It's not the first time, or how come they didn't catch that mistake when they re-opened new account which was for the third time and anytime I call you guys always asks me for different documents and blah blah so he said, "We can just re submit application again for the 4th times". So this stupid **. Been going for months and it seems like they're just wasting time on people and they have zero customer service. They suck. They don't know what the heck they're doing or going on, all the customer services are lost because they all say different things. It's just sad how they treat people and their system sucks. Hope that will help another person with this kind of problem, not to go with the same problem I did. It's headache. Rude, and waste of time.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I qualified just over a year ago for a free phone due to loss of everything - had a really bad year. First I received 350, then 500 free minutes, but due to my circumstances I was not always able to have more than one phone, so needed more minutes. Since getting this phone, I went through a health crisis which qualified me for disability, which I still receive. I just lost my car and job a second time since I moved to my current location. Since 500 minutes were not always enough I started adding unlimited each month myself. There always seemed to be confusion between getting free minutes and my added unlimited.

Well I started to get out of the blue messages about not being able to make calls. This would occur even when I had unlimited, and would add for thirty days. I would tell the reps even if I no longer had the plan for I should still have free minutes to prevent not being able to make calls. Well, in the past two weeks I again experienced the message of cannot make calls. I could in the morning but when I needed it again later to get picked up at a store I was not able to make calls again, ended up using phone at the store.

I called once home and was told to turn the phone on and off, that I had unlimited until Jan 26 2018. So I did this and it worked. Well, again today seven days later I was talking to someone and my phone call was cut off and again I got the message, "You cannot make calls" when I tried. I spoke to four different reps, one told me I had to Jan 26 to try to turn it on off. The next guy wanted to troubleshoot the phone and told me in 5 minutes to try and make a call then call him back in 10 mins.

The next girl was all over the place with her response. First I was told I used 980 minutes already two days before this occurred. Then I was told I had not had unlimited since Sept which was false. Then I was told I was on a 750 min plan for a year. I told her no one ever told me 750 it was always 500. I kept telling her so far each rep was telling me something different.

It finally escalated to a supervisor who kept repeating, "Your last unlimited plan ended December 26." You started 750 minutes in first Nov then it was Dec probably because I told her I should have accumulated many free minutes since every 30 days for several months I paid unlimited. Even though I had unlimited in Dec she said I used my 750 free minutes as well??? She told me I already used my 750 for Jan, so now I don't have minutes for the rest of the month. Even despite all that happened up till then no one ever apologized for faulty info, or even tried to remedy the situation.

Now I'm without a phone to use. I was never told I was getting 750 minutes in Dec. The rep I spoke to Jan 2 should have told me this instead of that I had unlimited till the end of the month so I could make sure I had enough minutes. But he didn't and the responses I got showed a lack of caring for the customer. I have no car, or other phone to use and have a chronic health issue and due to the lack of proper service on their end I am stuck for two weeks without minutes or a phone. What treatment for someone who mainly paid and rarely used their free minutes. But I realize the state things are in nowadays so I am not really surprised at this. It is what it is, which is too bad. I do feel for those who have real hardship or health problems that have to deal with this type of response. Need much endurance at this time. No stars out tonight. Getting another phone elsewhere.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs