1.23/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

630 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Safelink (Tracfone) provides inconsistent service, crappy phones that stop working after a few months, data and minutes cheating and shortages, and when you call in for tech assistance... It is outsourced to a country that could care less and has no respect for the U.S. I know that when you are down on your luck a free cell phone comes in handy, especially emergencies or simply letting family and friends know that you are still alive... But what good is that if the stupid thing doesn't work! I am cancelling my account and having to live without a phone now... Thanks a lot SAFELINK!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

It isn't "free" because you work too hard to get service! Would give it a zero if possible. Impossible to get account re-activated. Poor excuses for no service (can't read address on all proofs submitted, more than one person in household, agent's computer's password expired, please re-apply again and again, I could go on but you get the idea). Got service, then no service. Nobody can tell me why it doesn't work! Takes them forever to pull up account. Won't transfer to agent in US (by law they have to). Takes more than the 48 hours to review appeal. Get the runaround over and over. Going to submit complaint to PUC. Terrible way to run a business!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I attempted to apply for Safelink service for my daughter with Down syndrome as she qualified. After they checked her information they proceeded to tell me my daughter was DECEASED. I sent documents with current dates on them and they still denied her. This is crazy! I strongly suggest calling Lifeline support center ** or Universal Administration Services in the United States 1-800-234-9473 option 1, option 1, Option 0. Stay away from Safelink incompetent company that can stress you out. I put up with it for 6 mo. NO MORE STRESS!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I've been with them for years. NOW... all of a sudden I am getting my phone shut off every month. Saying I need to "recertify". I've uploaded my documents time after time. They just did it AGAIN. I've simply been told to Re-enroll. So I've enrolled now. Had three different account numbers after they cancelled them. I am suspicious that the reps are just doing it to collect a commission. I've been bounced around on technical support, just like the others have! Dealt with TracFone tech support. It turned out it was on the Safelink side. I just now uploaded my documents AGAIN. This is 4 times I have uploaded documents, and I've sent in EVERYTHING. My taxes, my food stamp card, my income tax statement, my driver's license. I am getting scared now, since they have so much information. It wasn't always this way. Now I am very nervous dealing with them. I don't know what to do now. Contact the FCC? I think the Safelink reps are SCAMMIN'!

Updated on 08/30/2018: RESOLVED MY SAFELINK PROBLEM: I had been with them for 2 years. GOOD deal. I liked them a lot. Now these problems. They lost my account altogether once. Then recertifying, uploading documents again and again. Re-enrolling... this last time (4 days ago) they said they'd have the documents approved in 2 hours. Well I just had them cancel it. Then they marked it as "rejected". Man WHATEVER! Support is pretty easy to get a hold of, but they don't know what they are doing! One guy wanted me to tear my phone apart. BUT... the problem was SAFELINK didn't put minutes on it. Then... it got shut off again. Call after call to their departments. Like others, I have medical issues, and I am without phone service. Six months ago, I would have given the company 5 stars!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have had Safelink for almost 2 years. Transferring my phone number from another major unsubsidized carrier was tortuous to say the least - time-consuming for both myself and Safelink. Part of the problem was that I brought my own unlocked phone. They were always patient, considerate, and stuck with the process no matter the time or energy and I never have had to wait more than a few minutes to talk with Customer Service.

The phone service itself has been excellent as well, not a single glitch. This month is the one time I have run up against the 350 minute talk limit. I just wish they had some kind of a warning that I was getting close because I ended up well over an hour with Customer Service only to find out that because I exceeded 350 minutes. I now have only Internet and texting until my minutes renew on the 1st of next month. I am giving thought to switching to another provider that has more talk time. Otherwise, if I could give Safelink 10 Stars I would!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I had issues with my first phone, non working SIM card. Spent 73 minutes on the phone with customer service, which is terrible by the way. They don't answer your questions either! After trying to figure out why it wasn't working they just said they'd send a replacement. Got it yesterday, Surprise!!! Same issue!!! So I chatted on the online help because I didn't feel like talking to anyone that has English as their second language because it's really hard to understand sometimes. Didn't really directly answer me. I just cancelled the service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Well, the overall review of this "business" is truth enough, aye? If there were a less than 1 star I'd have given. The most abrupt customer service agents I have dealt with in 52 years! They borderline on insulting. They offer no way to allow you to offer proof of minutes used. They won't hear anything that may take them more than a 2 min chat comm. I allege Safelink is scalping minutes and forcing the unfortunate users who are unemployed, disabled etc to buy more minutes unnecessarily. What a disgrace to America. With a cloak of helping the less fortunate when they are filling their fat pockets from the poor and needy. A total and utter disgrace. I will be filing a informal with the FCC and a cc with the BBB. Wow.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I got charged $199 when I decided to go with another internet provider which is their setup fee which they waived because I signed a 2 year deal. I'm glad I cancelled with them after 3 weeks so I wouldn't be charged for 2 years of crappy internet speeds. 15 Mb download over 2 Mb upload compared to Cable One 50 Mb download over 5 Mb upload and Cable One was cheaper per month and Cable one has a $50 setup fee compared to the $199. They were not forgiving on that setup fee at all so looks like I got the short end of the stick.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Regardless of the circumstances that got any of us to that point, we’ve all experienced hardships in some form. It can happen to any one of us. None of us are exempt from this. With that being said, we should be grateful for free services that offer some reprieve to the circumstances we can face when this happens. I was grateful when I received a Safelink phone through the lifeline program in August of 2017. My regular phone service was soon to be disconnected. I had become ill in recent months and being a single mother, I knew I needed a phone with active service. I could no longer afford the phone services I had and so Safelink seemed like the best choice for us when it came to minimizing expenses.

I was appreciative that we had a program that offered this kind of help but that feeling has changed and I want to WARN EVERYONE I can about this company because although this was a free service provided by the government, it came with great costs and if I had it to do over again, I would have never chosen Safelink Wireless as a phone provider. I would have been better off attaching string to two solo cups as a way to communicate with anyone. In all honesty, I would have received better service!!!

You receive 300 minutes with the phone, texts and voicemail and limited data. Your minutes are used when you make and receive calls and voicemails. When I received my phone, most of the minutes would be used up from having a recycled number where voicemails being left for the former user of the number were being left daily. Voicemails that weren’t even meant for us would take an average of 50 minutes away in the course of two days.

When I would call customer service, I could barely hear them, they told me they would not replace the minutes that were used and that having a recycled number where the voicemail service was still affiliated to the former owner was something I would have to accept but that they would not replace the wasted minutes. The data on my phone would be used in less than a day despite not even accessing the Internet. I was told that apps were ran on my phone despite my knowledge and that I had to accept that as well. I rarely received texts from anyone and if I did, it was a day later. Doctor's offices claimed my phone number was always out of service when they called.

I was constantly having calls dropped or was unable to hear the other person when I would make or receive calls. Sometimes my phone would never ring despite someone sitting right next to me calling my phone. My voicemails were always blank as if the voice on the other end had been muted purposely. My son became sick in February and doctor's offices and receptionists from his school always said that the phone would either disconnect when they would call or would go straight to voicemail. They claimed to leave several messages, messages I never received!!

I had applied for Social Security in months prior and was denied because they claimed I never returned their calls.. Calls I never got! I would receive letters saying my requests for assistance for medical care and legal help for me and my son had been denied due to being unable to reach me with the phone number I had given. Emails were sent from certain doctors offices and legal services and although I would receive them through a different server not affiliated with my phone, they would never show up in my inbox on the Safelink phone!!

My son and I were stranded on the roadside and my Safelink phone had no service!! It rarely had service and calling customer service for help is just a waste of time!! They will leave you with more questions than answers and each time you call for help, your phone service will only get worse. If you make a complaint against them, you will get hit with spam and obscene texts or your data and minutes will cease to exists... not that it does any good to have them anyway.

This service may be free but it will cost you so much!! If you are a single mother, if you are elderly, if you are an evil, hateful, person just looking for a free phone, whatever the case may be, please do yourself a favor and find another program... I say this with love and empathy and compassion for any and everyone who is looking for a safe and reliable phone service that they can count on... DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

I had signed up for Safelink Wireless and was accepted. They sent me a phone and a unusable sim card. I spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service while they sent me to different workers to figure out what the problem was, and it still was not resolved, so they sent me another sim card. Well, this same thing happened 4 times! And on the 4th try they said they would send me a new one that will for sure work. I waited for the sim card and when I got the envelope in the mail, the envelope was EMPTY!!! No sim. At this point I was fed up and just canceled. I am still getting mail from Safelink telling me I need to use my phone or it will be shut off!!!! I don't want anything to do with Safelink and every time I call to stop the crap mail, they say I'm not in the system. The customer service is horrible and the worst I have ever experienced. None of them know what they're doing or talking about.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Safelink Wireless gives a free phone to low income seniors. It sounds like a marvelous idea, but in reality it is the most frustrating company I have ever dealt with! My elderly neighbor is partially blind and hard of hearing. I have been trying to get him recertified because they cut his phone off. Since June 2, 2018, I have made nine calls and have been on the line for at least 30 minutes each time. By the time I reach a rep, I am already frustrated. Each time they tell me something different. We have been jumping through hoops for 2 MONTHS!!! Today I asked to speak to a supervisor. She promised me she would send me the correct form as soon as we hung up. It never came! I think a company such as this is inexcusable! Every bad review you read is true. Why can't our government be associated with a company who respects seniors? My friend is beside himself and he cannot afford a phone, so he is at their mercy. What a shame...

Original review: July 17, 2018

I just spent the last 3 hours with SafeLink. They were trying to find my account. Excuse me, they have been sending me information about my cell phone and other important items. Well first they sent me the wrong Sim card for the phone I bought from Motorola, then I just got the one that fit today. So I did exactly what the information told me to do. I called to get the phone activated. I am currently with Assurance Wireless and just wanted them to transfer service. Using my phone number... after all was done a "SUPERVISOR" got online and assured me all was settled and done.

I called my daughter and asked her to call me to see if all was well. They did not transfer my number. In fact they even gave me an area code that I think is Fla. and I live in CA... Now this supervisor assured me I had my old number, so like the other lady. I have very many medical people and important people that have this number...They need to be accounted for. I was leaving Assurance for this very type of customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I qualified for Safelink Wireless service months ago. I had my own unlocked, T-Mobile compatible, GSM phone... not branded and not tied to any carrier. I was porting my long-held phone number from Simple Mobile to Safelink. I am disabled, under regular medical care, and have a myriad of medical, support staff, home health aides, labs, transportation, imaging, clinics, and other organizations and individuals that are connected to and rely on my existing phone number. Without these people and services I would be in a nursing home or worse. (I am not elderly.) I am EXACTLY who the Safelink program is designed to help. Thus far my Safelink experience has been a frustrating exercise in futility. I still have no cell phone service.

To start, Safelink sent me the wrong SIM card THREE times. They kept sending a SIM for a NEW phone number. I was porting my existing number. After the fourth SIM card arrived, I was finally able to port my number and activate service on 6/28/18. Approx six days later my service stopped working entirely. I had absolutely zero ability to make & receive calls or texts. I live alone and have no personal transportation and no landline phone.

Starting 7/05/18 (after I was able to get transpo to a family member's house to use their phone) I began my frustrating journey of day after day, hour after hour phone calls to Safelink. It's July 15, 2018 as I type this, and I still have no resolution, and no cell phone service. One Safelink rep told me my identity must have been stolen and some thief must have ported my number back OUT of Safelink. Which is not true.

After speaking with T-Mobile, Net10, Tracfone, and Simple Mobile to find where my phone number went, I learned that no other carrier had ported my number out of Safelink. No one else has my phone number, it's not in use by any other carrier or individual. The problem is that number was INCORRECTLY PORTED into Safelink in the first place, which is why my cell service suddenly stopped working.

As of the date of this review (7/16/18) I have lost count of how many times and how many hours I've spent on the phone with Safelink and its various departments & subsidiaries. (Net10, Tracfone, etc, are all just different departments of the same company.) Each and EVERY time I speak with Safelink, we go through the exact same process: I give them all my information- my phone number, IMEI #, ticket #, SIM card #, etc. After a rep spend 30-60 minutes "researching" my problem, the result is the same. They tell me "Your issue has been 'escalated' and I have sent an email to reactivate your phone number with your SIM card and your phone. Your service should be back on within 24 hours."

After 24 hours, and 48 hours, and one week, or two weeks... nothing changes and I still do not have any cell service let alone service with my number ported. I stopped counting after the 5th time this happened. According to my notes (taken every time I call Safelink) I've spoken to Safelink - and been through the same cycle- NINE times in the last 30 days.

What makes Safelink difficult to deal with is poor communication. Very few people at Safelink/Net10/Tracfone have a *command* of the English language. They have a script they read from. They know enough English to pass when dealing with run of the mill issues that stay within the confines of the script they are trained to use. If your issue is more complex, you will need to climb FAR up the chain of command before you speak to someone who understands your issue adequately and can communicate effectively with you.

I have no bias or hatred for any group of people from any country or background. I don't care what country the call center is located. I simply need to COMMUNICATE effectively with another person in this company. Period. That's very difficult to do. Even more problematic is the underlying attitude coming through that nobody cares. We're just freeloaders getting a free service, so who cares? Who are we going to complain to?

At this point I have to take my issue to a higher authority than a Safelink supervisor. I've already sent an email to Tracfone "Corporate Resolution Team." That was one week ago. I've not received a response from them yet. Same goes for Safelink corporate. I'm now taking the issue to the California FTC that oversees the Safelink program. The same complaint and plea for help is also going to the California Attorney General, one State Senator and one US Senator. And of course… I need all manner of help in accomplishing this task. And I have to do it all without any phone service. All I want is basic cell service with my phone number ported in to Safelink. If I had any other options to ensure I have cell service no matter my physical condition or income. I would NEVER choose Safelink or ANY of its associated companies/departments. I'd recommend you avoid Safelink like the plague.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The most incompetent arrogant people around & a customer is always wrong by them. They cheat you out of the minutes you are entitled because they never reflect it on the phone. They lie that you were given your entitled minutes. On top of everything else they're dishonest. They just want your money without showing in a honest way pride in their work. It is a criminal business company run by rogue people.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The worst phones and customer service attempts for repair or replacement, ever. We have two phones and both continually break up and/or disconnect. We spent hours with no resolution, constant disconnects and repeated attempts to get replacements. Every call disconnected and we had to start over. Even their online customer service disconnected. I hate these phones and their customer service! Don't buy these phones. You will regret it.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Over two days wasted 75 minutes of prepaid. Spoke to 4 people on phone and 3 on live chat. I was denied a phone because SafeLink did not have their “catalogue” updated. So my valid and correct EBT was denied as documentation though it is what my state uses. A supervisor Mark, the last person I spoke to eventually just hung up on me. I had the valid documentation given to me by my state. It said EBT on front and back but because SmartLink didn’t have a picture of that design in its catalogue they called it invalid and denied me. I’m all set now on another carrier.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Free cell phone service, paid for by the government. Service is spotty and customer services are almost non-existent. They cut off my service beginning of every month stating I had to re-apply. No person to speak with; after 10-12 minutes attempting to navigate automated phone system it often hung up on me. Hold times range up to 3 hours, the system offers a callback but that never happens, I waited 2 days for callback. It might be free but if you depend on it for phone service you're better off paying a different provider. For $15 a month I'm trying another company!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

Trying to recertify the account for my father's phone turned out to be more of a hassle than anything. Try to recertify online and couldn't get to the proper areas so I decided to call them back and just do it on the phone and mail the application to them. 5 failed attempts later due to being disconnected or being put through to the wrong department. I have given up. They can keep their stupid service and phone. I'm adding him to my cell phone account. He is disabled, he has the education of probably a third grader. So these things are very hard for him sometimes to do on his own. Getting through the basics is bad enough. What bothers me the most is when he signed up for this to begin with I am the one that done it for him and I made a point to let them know he lived in the country so certain phones would not receive service there and I was reassured that the phone chosen for him would be fine.

Original review: June 5, 2018

For the month of June 2018, I was suppose to get my 500 minutes of free airtime because I'm on a GOVERNMENT program. Which means that I use the phone for emergency purposes only and with permission through DSS so long as I receive certain government benefits. Anyway, without warning I come to find out that my service has been cancelled because I didn't verify my address? Huh? After living at the same address for three years and was never told I needed to verify my address unless I changed my address.

Plus DSS has me in their system and I have to re-certify for benefits every six months or so. Therefore, after going through the "India Fan" (by Victoria Holt) Call Center (metaphorically speaking)... And several hours later, my issue was never resolved. Nonetheless, I wrote out a complaint to BBB and I am sure a nice letter to the federal government ought to light a match under somebody's rear. If that doesn't do it, then maybe sign a petition on "Change.org" and have the company removed all together. What say you?

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have a free Safelink Wireless service for my disability and set my number to donotcall.gov list and still get 20 calls and or 50 Text messages a day with spam. They need to be brought down. I can not even use the phone with this Bad service as the main reason I got the phone was for emergency and all the monthly minutes is used up in a couple day by spammers.

Original review: June 1, 2018

You get these damn foreigners... Can't hardly understand them, they're rude and totally incompetent. I had over 10,000 minutes on my phone and the dirty ** stole them from me. I absolutely detest Safelink Wireless!

Original review: May 23, 2018

Called to cancel service for deceased mother. Tried to called customer service. Had to call 5 different times on two days and answer 10 computer generated questions each time just to get to talk with a person from the Philippines AND I had to lie and say I was interested in a new service just to talk with a human being! Then I get a recording stating all representatives are busy, but I could press 1 to be put into the callback cue without losing my place in line.

They called back at 12:30 AM!!! Message received said to press "1" to talk with the representative, and I did press 1 only to hear the computer-generated message stating that "No representatives are available now." Really!!! THEY ARE ONE OF THE WORST COMPANIES I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH REFERENCING CUSTOMER SERVICE. A BBB rating of A+ ??? Someone needs to see the reviews. Sorry, they are FAR from a A+ rating. Plus, the phones provided are some of the poorest quality phones available.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I was trying to install SAFELINK sim card that they have sent me. For 2 days, and over 2 hours and 16 minutes, SAFELINK refused to order me another phone or replace me my 2 hrs and 16 minutes, since my TracFone was smashed from an attack and assault brought upon me. So I asked for the SUPERVISOR and they (Ms. ** and some other technical support operator) thought it was FUNNY draining my PRE-PAID minutes from a FREE WiFi App since I'm on a FIXED LOW INCOME. They refused to finish the installation and left me with NO CELLPHONE SERVICE and no REFERENCE #.

I get seizures and it worries me that I won't have a phone available when I have one of those episodes. The WiFi App is not capable of DIALING 911. This company should be investigated, reprimanded, and punished/suspended. 'Cause if I have an episode and can't get in touch with anyone, that could be a LIABILITY on SAFELINK, if anything serious results from the NEGLIGENCE. They even gave me a cellphone that is TAPPED, too. ** is not recognized by any bill paying service, yet it's the number SAFELINK has given me. Thanks OBAMA, your phones are as USELESS as you were as a PRESIDENT. I recorded the calls.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I'm truly concerned with how this company has any involvement with the government. I've been on the phone for a total of 5 hours for a sim card. I've been transferred countless times and hung up on. How disrespectful for absolutely no reason. How do we go about reporting this company?

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was qualified with California Lifeline on March and received the first SIM card from Safelink. Then I called the Safelink customer support to port-in my number from the old carrier, an easy task that should take only few minutes to complete. The lady that was helping me did not understand or speak English well enough to be in that position. I had to repeat every word at least 5 times. I could hear the clicking on the keyboard as she was trying to type simultaneously, but for every line of information I gave her I did not hear more than 3 or 4 clicks. Then I had to repeat the entire line again and again. I was very frustrated since it was clear that she did not possess the ability to comprehend and type the information I was giving her. After about 3 long hours I heard her talking to another person but I could not understand nor recognized the language.

After consulting with the other person about 3 minutes it was decided that I need a new SIM card so she proceed with that and ended the call. I received the new SIM card and called in for activation and to port-in the old number. The exact same thing as my first phone call except it took only half as long or 1 1/2 hours. Then I was told that it's done and my cell it's going to be working normal with my old number in few hours and I was instructed to restart my phone a few times for the port-in to be finalized. Well I did, but no number got ported-in. I was very disappointed and decided to reinstall my old SIM card and called to pay for one more month of service when I was told, that my account is frozen because of the 2 unsuccessful port-out attempt and my number is lost and I need to buy a new SIM card which is going to have a new number.

I was devastated and confused. I called the Safelink customer support line for the 3rd times and this time the rep admitted that the other two who helped me had no idea of what they are doing, she apologized for their lack of knowledge and disastrous work, then she typed all the information and gave me a reference number for my case. She also said that I am going to receive a new SIM card in 2-3 days! And that was about 2 weeks ago!!

I was using my old number for nearly 6 years, and all the people I talk to, such as family and friends, as well as all the organizations that I conduct business with, like banks, credit cards, SSA and utility companies just to name a few, have been using the same number to identify me for about 6 years. It took couple of Safelink's untrained Reps just about 6 hours to destroy and totally wipe out. It was obviously crucial to port-in and keep my old number since I have set up totally paperless accounts and use internet to pay my bills, update my information, send and receive text and messages and etc... Etc. For security reasons I had also set up the two step verification method using both password and a verification code texted to my number. I have lost contact with the outside world and cannot even make a doctor appointment without having to go through dozens of barricades to be verified and prove my existence!

Original review: May 16, 2018

This is a company where you cannot speak to a U.S. Representative who you can understand what they are saying. Safe Link is SUPPOSED to provide free government service, however, myself and so many others are having the same problems I am having. You send proof showing that you are qualified, then they say you need more paperwork. This has been going on for months and now after an agonizing effort to get approved, I finally got the approval, told my free cell was on the way. I was stalled, hung up on and lies to whoever runs company? I called again and I was not going to get my free phone, probably never would, but I could buy one? What kind of government would this to happen? Online website showing government free service, so why is it I have to buy a free cell? And cannot get any help from a United States Representative or are the websites just more lies??? I have no order number.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have been with Safelink for about 10 years and never had a problem. When I asked for a replacement phone I got one in a couple of days without having to send the old one back first. The next time, I did have to send the old one back first. So I was without service for about a day, probably because some people were not sending the old phones back. Three days ago, I saw an Assurance Rep at the grocery store and signed up for Assurance because it was convenient to do so. Safelink ported my old phone number over to Assurance with no problems. The only thing I didn't like was trying to understand the foreign voices. I will see how it goes with Assurance and the new smartphone. My little ole TracFone from Safelink was rugged.

Original review: May 9, 2018

NO STARS!!! Absolutely atrocious company. Was approved for a Safelink Obama Phone Service in Chicago in a temporary room set up outside social services. I showed her my ID, Snap and SSI info and was approved immediately. I got the phone but sent it back thinking I only needed minutes. I have now have moved to another state and have been using the website to upload proof that I am eligible. If one letter or name does not match up on all items perfectly they will deny you. I have been trying to get another phone again for over a year through the website and they have no way of telling you where the popup stores are. Terrible! Frustrating! Especially for a disabled person!!! Shame on you!!! Apparently this is how they are getting out of giving people emergency phones that people like me need desperately. This after SS was able to reduce my check to $500 a month with a rule they "Made up" says legal aid.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Never in my life have I had to deal with such an incompetence, intellectually challenged, unprofessional, uncouth, useless bunch of people. They seem to intentionally hire the rudest and nonchalant group of people. I had zero service from the time I got the phone to the day I told them to cancel it. Absolute rubbish! Was told by a rep that I needed to go stand outside in order for me to make a phone call! Lied to repeatedly. Was spoken to like a 2 year old. If I could give them negative stars, I swear to all things sacred, I would.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Applied and sent ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, yet still rejected my application. You cannot speak with a live representative, there is no field to read the reason for rejecting the application, other than it states did not receive requested documents. YES THEY DID! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SAFELINK!

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs