3.7/5 (314 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I've only had the phone for about a couple of months. The day I received the phone, every website that I was on started jumping all over the place. I would go onto messenger & it would throw me off and blackout. It would also randomly go to my friend's messenger and even go onto other things that I didn't even click on. It would start freaking out when I tried to use the voice messaging thing to spell out my words. It would even try to go onto eBay and click on things to add to my cart that I didn't click on. (Speaking of problems out of the phone, I just now had an episode with it. Starred drawing blue lines all over my keyboard like someone had their finger pressing down on the screen)

Also, on the day that I received the phone, I was told that I would receive unlimited everything including unlimited data. My phone is now sending me warnings that my data is about to run out. I've had some crappy ** phone services in my life, but I NEVER thought that I would EVER come across anything worse until I got with this company!!!! I don't plan on staying with this company very long. I'm waiting until I become more financially ahead and then I'm gonna give them the boot up the rear-end!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I bought a Safelink minute card as I needed more minutes. When my free minutes were put on safelink removed all my purchased safelink minutes. Why have safelink minute cards if the minutes will be removed. I'm done with safelink.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Safelink wireless is a very good service for low income people and or older people. You fill out an application once and once approved, then you get free minutes, texts and data every month. Once a year you will have to requalify to make sure you are still eligible. They are with Tracfone wireless and they are also very good.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Been with them for about 2 yrs. When with them last did lose phone. They replaced. Then did nothing with them for maybe 1 yr. Reapplied. Got service. Phone awful, told them that when they sent it to me and were setting it up. They didn't care. Unusable. Takes 1 minute + to turn on. If emergency I'd be dead before I could even get it to turn on. lt doesn't respond to commands when swipe. Just awful. No email support. Phone support, you can't get a person even when tried a different number that supposedly would get me to a person. I hit a number to talk with live person (had to pick any number as they told me had to use contact number that tried many many times to no avail). Anyway when hit "2" as advised it just disconnected. Seems they are happy to take your money but actually work for the customers? Not in my experience.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2021

I've had Safelink since 2016. Here's the thing, They sent me a phone that was too old to update, and I had to put another Launcher on it for it to work. So I used the phone minimally (Dr appts only). I get texts from them I have to make 1 call.. At times as I dial a number the buggy phone disconnects, so typically I can't make a call. I contacted C/S and told them about it.. The guy told me to buy another phone. Really? If I could buy I would have, so in essence they gave a shoddy phone and then won't help and it won't make calls. Supposedly I got the EBB, you sure could have fooled me! I tried again today to report the issue, but guess what? Call doesn't go through and neither does a text.

Gov't. needs to be on top of these companies. Safelink was ok when it first started, but it sure isn't customer friendly. Oh and Heaven forbid you let them know your phone is unusable, they are not interested. It's like they are taking advantage of people by telling them they need to BUY a phone and ADD minutes. I hope others don't go through this nonsense.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

On the website it says free phone and I been waiting since July 23, 2021 and when I called they said I don't get a free phone after I was told that I would get a free phone and they are letting the employees lie to people about and it is bad for business.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

They must be stealing my $50 EBB benefit away from my Spectrum broadband internet and they even denied it over the phone. I called Spectrum 6 times and they still have not been able to tell me what happened to my EBB benefit after I received it for the first 2 months. I have called EBB and my local federal representative and no one has been able to tell my why my EBB status with Spectrum changed. This leads me to believe there is a collusion or incompetence problem so I will be reporting the problem to the FBI. I see others are having the same problem. I don't consider Safelink a substitute for home based broadband and they should not be stealing federal government assistance without making it perfectly clear that they are taking your assistance from another provider.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Buyer beware. This company fraudulently signed me up for the EBB discount and took 3 months of discount benefit that could have been used with my regular service provider. Their customer service was terrible. The majority of the time the reps could not be heard when I got someone on the phone. And the fact they signed me up for the EBB discount through them without my knowledge is deplorable.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is the absolute worst - the most inept just horrible company I have ever encountered in my entire entire life. A nightmare with an ongoing headache built into it - totally maddening. This whole freakshow started in March when I made the fatal error I guess of porting my phone number to a new phone that I purchased from safelink net 10. For 5 months now this has been a nightmare on repeat - normally I have Ca lifeline and I never even have to think of my service. It just is there every month. This has been a living nightmare.

Every single month for 5 months they keep shutting off my service then I have to call them to turn it back on - but still the text messaging doesnt work then I have to spend 2 to 3 hours with them on the phone - calling them from another number - speaking with the corporate department - NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING HERE - time after time I have asked them "Please just fix this once and for all" and each month they tell me it's fixed then it happens all over again - then they try to tell me I need to renew my CAlifeline and they forced me to pay - I called CA lifeline and CAlifeline said I didnt need to renew until March 2022 - so SAFELINK disconnected and interupted my service and will not restore it and is making me pay now.

NONE OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY JUST LIE TO YOU OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN but none of them actually know what they are doing - it's a joke man I have spent probably 20 hours on the phone with these people since march. THE "SUPERVISOR" Just hung up on me - it's cheap labor from some pacific island nation. They must be either dumb or gaslighting people. THE WORST EVER.

Original review: May 14, 2021

They have no idea what they are doing and you will most likely be transferred to every employee they have. They all tell you something different and are a huge waste of time. Something as simple and straightforward as transferring a number is a week long headache. If you have ANY other option for a service provider, choose that one.

Safelink Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

Safelink Wireless Company Information