1.28/5
  • 1 star
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

572 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

The SCAM I noticed was my data disappearing. Considering I use an Xfinity account most of the time, I thought someone was somehow hacking my phone and using my service. There isn't Xfinity hotspots around sometimes, but why use the data when I have wifi? The first month I let it go. It's not unusual on a phone the first day or two because of software updates. I started to notice something kind of fishy when waking the screen. My phone would have the downloading icon in the notification panel. When I pull the dropdown to see what was downloading, it would stop and vanish, never giving me enough time to catch it. I realized it couldn't be updates after about five of their disappearing acts. Unless all the buzzards of the world were channeling bad luck to me and the download would finish the split-second window of time it took to pull the drop-down menu. I rooted my device so i could look a little deeper into it.

It turns out there were auto-downloaders pre-installed in the carrier system folders. I speculate they are getting paid by the app devs for each download. It is one thing to use our IMEI for their scams, but our data too!!! COME ON NOW!!! From the other negative reviews, I assume they stepped up their game and started a black-market ring with some of our services. From the other reviews I noticed the ones who were told they didn't do whatever lie it is at that time (hence the denial of service) in time are all elderly people. I am still a youngster but I'll never make the mistake of underestimating my elders. Most may not have pep in their step, but they have vast amounts more knowledge up there. More proof of their stupidity.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I contacted SafeLink Wireless today as directed on 12/11/17. I had recently contacted SafeLink Wireless because I hadn't service since 11/2017, due to purchased plan I purchased. Which they stated my monthly benefits on 500 minutes and unlimited text, would start at the end of my purchased minutes expired, I purchased a unlimited plan 10/26/17. Today 11/14/17 I spoke with a customer care manager who was so rude I got out of character. I was told on the 12/11/17 that I would receive a new phone in 2 business day.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

This company needs to improve or be shut down completely. The problems I have experienced while my service is suppose to be active are an inability to send or receive text, unable to place calls or receive calls, and no data. It takes several hours to attempt to correct their error and reps will troubleshoot your phone to the point you will memorize and know the steps and still be without service. It appears they are in business to aggravate the hell out of people. When I upgraded to their unlimited plan the rep gave me a 200 dollar plan instead. Safelink reps were unwilling to fix this. My only resolution has been to file a complaint with the FCC. Currently, I am unable to send and receive texts. I have spent hours calling to resolve this and the reps told me it's fixed but it's not. I still receive an error message indicating insufficient funds.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I used to get free minutes through a government program through Safelink. Suddenly I'm not qualified even though nothing has changed in my income. This company is totally incompetent. If you call customer service, it's almost impossible to understand the agent because their English is so bad. There's all kinds of laughing and chatter in the background, and it sounds like the "customer service" is located in the lobby of a cheap motel. Earlier, they sent me an email about a better phone I could get, which I purchased from Walmart. The incompetent rep I talked to could not get it installed properly so I spent my money on NOTHING! This company should be put out of business as soon as possible! They are idiots!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My elderly mother was enrolled in their "free" government phone program for the past 5 years. Her re-certification month is March. However, upon inquiring about why her minutes were not received this month I was told that she did not re-certify in time and was dropped from the program and required to re-enroll. It's December and not even her time to re-certify yet. She was NEVER notified in ANY manner that her re-certification month had supposedly changed. She's also required to RESUBMIT her financial and food assistance info which SAFELINK unfairly got rid of PRETENDING she didn't re-certify in time when it WAS NOT EVEN TIME for her to re-certify at all.

This is nothing more than a scam to kick POOR and ELDERLY people out a MUCH NEEDED free assistance program. They're trying to get them to PAY for a phone plan regardless if they can afford it. They're aware that most people don't care to be put through the burden of re-applying and resubmitting documentation they already submitted to qualify for the program the first time around. Many will throw up their hands and pay for service simply to keep from having to run through the hoops again. Do they ever stop to consider that many people in these programs CANNOT AFFORD to pay for phone service (not even a house phone) and these "free" phones are their ONLY means of communication? This is unacceptable and disgraceful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My elderly mother was enrolled in their 'free' government phone program for the past 5 years. Her re-certification month is March. However, upon inquiring about why her minutes were not received this month I was told that she did not re-certify in time and was dropped from the program and required to re-enroll. It's December, not March. She was NEVER notified in ANY way that her re-certification month has supposedly changed. And they want her to RESUBMIT her financial and food assistance info that THEY unfairly got rid of PRETENDING she didn't re-certify in time when it WAS NOT TIME for her to re-certify at all.

This is nothing more than a scam to kick POOR and ELDERLY people out a MUCH NEEDED free assistance program. They know most people don't care to be put through the burden of re-applying and resubmitting documentation they already submitted to qualify for the program the first time around. Do they stop to consider that many people in these programs CANNOT AFFORD to pay for phone service (not even a house phone) and these free phones are their ONLY means of communication? This is unacceptable and disgraceful.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Safelink Wireless has rude customer service agents you can barely understand, and they don’t replace lost or broken phones. Assurance Wireless does. Definitely will not use Safelink in the future. They also took my minutes, but couldn't give me a legit reason as to why.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Paid for unlimited and they never gave me unlimited. When you call they transfer you 15 times and then hang up on you. Safelink is the worst company I have ever dealt with. This company gives you the runaround. Safelink TracFone.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I honestly can't say nothing bad thus far. Customer service took care of me when I asked about plans and details. The plan I choose (truly unlimited) is in fact truly unlimited. I used about 900gb of data running my hotspot constantly on 4G LTE and Get free everything. I been through the other companies with the data caps and not telling you everything. There's even a Safelink store in town. And I watched them service and help other people when I got this phone. I run one phone off this that's rooted and custom.

I got free unlimited calls, text, internet on both the S5 and this obviously low budget ZTE. But it was free. The plans are cheap and precise. And for forty bucks a month doing everything you people paying 60, 80 or 100 for one phone with over fees or hidden bs, I get to use two phones (when I even need it) problem free with good care no hidden stuff or dropping to 3g after a data rate. I don't know what you guys are all doing. It's actually been so good and opposite of what you all are saying. I don't even know if you are all real people using this service lol. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that would qualify.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

By mail I received an application to apply for a free cell phone. Along with the application was a letter from New Hampshire Healthy Families Insurance company informing me that if I were a senior citizen living on a limited income I was eligible for a free cell phone with free limited minutes and free texting. I made out the application 3 times informing them that "I lived on a limited income and that I was applying for the free phone with free minutes". I did not receive the cell phone until I finally called and made a complaint. It was very difficult dealing with the person I spoke to because she had such an accent I could barely understand her. After a time of trying to get my point across they hung up on me. I called them back the next day and I was told I would get the phone within 7 to 10 business days.

I recently received the phone but I have not tried to register or activate it. Reason being with all the information I received about the phone there is nothing included about any limited free minutes or free texting. I am an elderly person with some health problems. I only wanted the phone and the free minutes to use in case of an emergency, so what would be the point of activating it? Because a letter from New Hampshire Healthy Families was included with the application, I thought it was legit. Unfortunately it appears to be no limited free minutes or free texting. It appears to be false advertising? I do not have an order number that came with the phone. But a serial number came with the phone?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Safelink has canceled my service twice without reason. Website says all my information is correct and that it's not time to recertify yet. I contacted phone support (who barely speak English) and they said there was no reason for it to be canceled, but they couldn't re-activate it and I'd have to apply again. For a third time.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had my phone Stolen around July and called customer service several times in the past 4 months. They all tell me different Stories... They first tell me to Buy new phone... I did this then they tell me the TracFone I bought was the wrong Carrier. Then they told me It was against Federal Regulation to turn my phone back on. I recently try to buy a phone from Cricket Wireless and they tell me I can not Transfer my Number and I will need to pay a $59.00 new phone number. I have my service for 1 year only. My phone was stolen. It should not be such a Big deal to transfer a Number you had for over 1 year and transfer to a new carrier.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

At the end of September I had a Safelink workers come to my home and take down my information for a phone and asked if I had food stamps or Medicaid which I have both. I gave my information but ran back into the women 10 mins later and told her to remove my info because I changed my mind. I called to see if Safelink had my info which they did not. Should I be worried about identity theft? Anyone else have this happen? I'm very worried!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Unable to talk to a live person. Unable to lock cell phone stolen from me. How am I supposed to have i.d. no. on phone if I no longer have phone. Person who stole phone then brought a Tracfone to me. However; Tracfone is not free service. Why does Safelink have different address? Is it Miami or Oregon? Something not right here.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have spoken with 5 representatives since October and they still have not turned my phone back on. All with different reasons with never the same outcome. A couple of the supervisors had very bad attitudes because I wanted answers that they appear to not know. I finally spoken with a supervisor name Gee and she was good today. She said my application was redone on the 17th of October and it was just sitting there waiting to be sent to my state agency! I was like OMG why??? They need to really train their agents better.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

As a low income senior, I rely on this phone for transportation and to call my doctor. When I had a medical incident and needed to call my doctor, it said, "No service". During the hurricane I had no service. One time I reported them to the FCC.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I was cancel from Safelink Wireless because they claimed they didn't get the TWO recertification I sent them. I was told I had to reapply for service. I was told I would receive an application in 7-10 business days, this was on the 1st of Oct. 2017. After the 10 days, I didn't receive the application. I call Safelink and was told to wait another day. I did... still no application. I called back and was told I had to apply again and to wait another 7-10 business days, on the 18th. The 10 business days went by again, still no application. This company is completely and totally incompetent.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

To summarize my experience: I sent an application around the end of June, got sent a denial letter on Halloween that was dated from July 5th. The letter stated I already was receiving service although I never got a phone. Skeptical that someone stole the phone or stolen my information, I called the customer service line, which took me 3 tries of being hung up on before I got a hold of a person. When I finally got to speak to a person instead of a machine, I told them about the letter and asked if someone could possibly be using a phone under their service with my information. He answered "no, a phone was never sent to your address."

That made me feel relieved. I could check that off my list of worries, but now I didn't understand why I was denied a phone because of another phone that simply didn't exist. I had to ask the representative 3 times, "what is the reason why I was denied?". Each time I was told "You just simply didn't qualify" and explained all the things that could get me qualified, and I had all the qualifications other than the phone line that doesn't exist still. In the end, he said he was going to forward me to a department to answer my questions.

I got prompted with the start-up menu from when I first called, and got hung up on. If I could rate this "business" zero that would be a more appropriate rating. Not that I had high hopes for anything free, but I would like to have a clear mind that no one is using my information to get free cell phones or other ventures. To be denied and approved is super fishy to me, and screams at me to be a scam of some sort, since no one could give me an answer like a prompt, legit business would. If I knew where to turn, I would report them to someone. In the future I'm going to warn people about this business.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Sometimes, you usually don't have enough minutes because marketers interrupt too much by timing, and scheduling when they call. Other times, your appointment calls combined to personal or minute calls, you also become minute short before your new month. Just to add, this atypical scene caused me to have no minutes very early in the month, during September 2017- Irma; also including the necessity it took to gain shelter help.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I have used this program for years. I live in the upstairs of a house and cannot make calls on my phone. It dials but then automatically hangs up before the call is finished dialing.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I purchased 2 GB plan through Safelink Phone. But before this I was with Verizon for five years. The most data Ive ever used was one and a half GB most the time. Never went over a gigabyte. Safelink Phone I had a gigabyte of data used before the week ended. Shut my cellular data off I still was using data. Would give them zero stars but it wont let me. These people are dubs. Unfortunately Im at a point my life where this is only thing I can afford. These people are very dishonest. I call them at least for five times a month stay on the phone anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour more.

Yeah tech-support are idiots. When I purchased a calling plans on three or four occasions after the money was taken out of my bank account. The moron shut my service off. Had to call them to let them know when they took the money out of my account. So if you thinking about buying service plan by the smallest one possible which is $15 you probably wont have any data with that. At least you can talk and text. They give you 50 MB that seems just to disappear soon as you get it. Im always around Wi-Fi. It's rare when I use cellular data. But it can disappear even if you have your data shut off. These people are thieves. Someone really needs to sue them a few times to wake them the ** up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I applied for a Lifeline phone in October 2017 only to find out that I have been a victim of identity theft from 2014 by someone who has stolen my complete identity... I have made over 200 telephone calls including 1 with Lifelock in attempts to resolve this issue as well as capture the criminal. They keep giving you a run around switching you to different people from different parts of the world. None have had the available tools. I tell them, "Go to Home Depot or Lowe's"... Need resolution, they give insults and aggravation... They do incomplete verifications, and are very elusive.

How can Lifeline give someone a phone with a Virginia area code when applying for it in Brooklyn NY not same address as mine, they applied for it with their medicaid and food stamp ID card as verification but conveniently lost the record... They sent me a sim card but not a cellphone insisting that I am the same person who applied in 2014. I ask them to go through comparative analysis and they still insist. I never owned a cell phone. Let us seek justice.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have spent a lot of time reading complaints here. I was curious what other people have been experiencing. There is obviously a massive problem with a company that does not care about its customers. I have experienced the same frustrating non-conversations with Safelink representatives, who do not speak clear English, and who do nothing more than read from a script. As with other reviewers, I have demanded to speak to managers, but there are no managers. It's very difficult to simply even reach customer service & none of the reps know anything, so don't expect help from them. I lost 10,000 of my minutes because my phone was lost. As soon as I discovered it was lost, I called Safelink to ask for advice & help. I explained, NO LESS THAN 3 times, that I was very worried about losing my minutes. I was also worried somebody would find my phone and use those minutes.

The rep assured me everything was fine and that my minutes would transfer to a new phone. When my new phone arrived, the minutes were not transferred. After hours and hours of stressful & irritating phone calls with reps, and being put on hold for 1/2 hour at a time, while being transferred, supposedly, to corporate - I finally reached corporate. I spoke to 3 different individuals at corporate. None of them seemed the least bit interested and they all repeated what the reps had said "we cannot help you." The last person I spoke to at corporate hung up on me, after I asked for his employee I.D. #. This was Friday, so I knew I had to wait through the weekend to continue my quest for getting some help.

I am going to pursue this and I hope others do too. I am not sure what steps to take right now, but I plan to be diligent about it, as I am angry. The whole idea behind this service is to help those who are low income. So, then they strip you of your minutes simply because a phone is "lost". There is something very wrong with this business model, in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

With Safelink Wireless I don't have to buy minutes every month. For me it's free. As long as you're getting welfare you can qualify for this phone. I've had it for almost a year and I have no complaints.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

It's a free govt. cell phone service so I guess you get what you pay for. They do not provide smartphones, like some of the other govt. cell phone providers. Terrible customer service. They text erroneous information at times. Customer service is out of country and reps are not knowledgeable and often rude. Not the best network but usually sufficient.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

It took me over 4 years to get a Safelink phone and then it didn't work and two SIM cards later and another phone, it finally worked. But I am older and the phone was small and I couldn't see the buttons well. I was told I could go to Safelink's shop, but one of their tech people, and buy a smartphone there and my account and free minutes would transfer to it. So I did. Then they kept telling me it wasn't a TracFone and that I had not bought it from Safelink. I argued for over 45 minutes with one person, who didn't speak clear English. I finally asked for a supervisor and got a lady who helped me thru the whole process to get it working. The first of the next month, no minutes. I got ahold of someone on their chat and had the minutes the next day. The next month the same thing.

The following month I had a lot of phone calls to take care of and went thru the 350 min quite quickly, so I was told I could buy from Safelink site $15 for 30 days and when that time ran out, it would revert back to my regular plan and I would receive my free min again. So Aug I bought a $15 plan good for 30 days and figured the 30 days would run out around the 24th of Oct and I could finish this month with my free min. But no free min showed up when I ran out of paid min. Without minutes I cannot call Safelink for they charge your min for the call. And from what I am able to find out online, I seem to have been cancelled out of the free program as of 10/31/17. Also when I tried to get ahold of anyone online, I was told my phone number is not a TracFone so not a working number. This place is horrible and I suffer from stress and panic attacks and am on oxygen. I NEED my phone and this just stresses me to the point of being sick.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Text messaging would not work. Spent 2 hours on phone with 4 customer service people, if you can call it that. No one could help. Next day spent 1.30 hour talking to 6 people trying to get text to work. They say, "Turn phone off and call back in hour if not working." Still doesn't work so, guess I'll be spending another 2 hours tomorrow. Rude and don't know what they're doing. My advise is, please stay away from them. Now, if your phone works then good but if you have trouble then you are really in trouble.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I was a Safelink customer for around 5 years and recently decided to upgrade my phone. The phone I was sent did not work properly so I called and LLLOOONGGG story short I spent at least 20 hours on the phone between many different people, First they sent me a new card, which of course did not work with 1st phone. Then they sent me another phone which didn't work either. So at this point I said, "Forget it. I just want my money back" and they gave me money for ONE of the phones and I had bought TWO total. SCREW you all. I am with Straight Talk.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

So check this out: I just signed up again to join Safelink Wireless. I had a phone over a year ago but spilled coffee on it and never even tried to get a replacement and whatnot. So just a week ago I signed up again to get a phone. All was awesome. Got approved as I already expected and suddenly by October 18th, my phone had not been delivered. I spoke with a FedEx rep who told me that all they could do was trace the product but that I'd have to contact Safelink for further assistance.

I freaked out today, the 20th because at this point someone else could have my phone and be using it. I went on my Safelink account and cancelled it thinking it would just close the account and anyone can turn it back on. I called Safelink about the FedEx situation and was told that they could not reactivate the account. I asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to corporate. You would think that corporate could actually make everything better, right? NOT. They told me the exact same thing that the representative told me, that I have to wait AN ** YEAR to get reinstated with Safelink. WHAT!?!? That makes absolutely no sense. Corporate was a waste of my ** time.

And this is why I should have let bygones be bygones and have just kept myself without the phone. This is some **. I thought corporate would have access to more but it turns out they are just... a waste of time. Don't even bother with this company unless you are willing to deal with crap like this. It's a free phone and I wanted to cancel my current company since my finances are in terrible standing. Wishful thinking.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I'm a social worker so I apply for clients all the time. Over the past 2 months I've been mailing AND faxing all my applications and wasn't receiving any phones. Finally I try to call, takes me an hour to get to a person, and then I can't understand what they're even saying. After giving them the same exact information 30 times I finally hung up because nothing was being accomplished and I kept being transferred. I guess my clients will have to find another phone service.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs