Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Safelink Wireless Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I called to disconnect my phone because it was stolen. I was told I could reconnect within 72 hours. When I called back, I was told it would take 1-2 months for the enrollment process. I was told by employees in Central America and India that I should be grateful to have free phone service. My tax dollars from when I was working my whole life are going to foreigners who say I should be grateful for what I have.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Customer service 0, Tracfone 10 so far. I switched lifeline providers because Tag Mobile was not giving me the promised data. At its best I got 500MB full speed LTE, then slow slow data speed after that usually never reaching the 1GB limit. SafeLink is supposed to give me 3GB data at full LTE speed. Maybe, but I'm skeptical so I've connected my iPhone (buy your own phone if you get Lifeline wireless service or you'll get one of their godawful ~$50 smartphones) to my PC as a modem. It worked as soon as I activated the phone, so I'd recommend Tracfone if you have to pay for service, but it seems Mint Mobile beats all the other mobile virtual operators. If you have SafeLink I wish you well, there really aren't many good Lifeline wireless providers. The whole program is a wreck.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I recently had to cancel my service with Safelink since I cannot use their outdated phone due to my progressing nerve damage disability. I shake constantly and it takes me 5 minutes to send/reply to a text message. (I am on SSDI, have my Notice of Award from the SSA etc). I have been a customer of theirs for going on ten years now and just wanted a smartphone (which all new customers, many of my friends included, receive) so I can speech-to-text. Maria at Option #6 (or Chrysall or whatever name she uses... she gave different names at different times) gave me the runaround for 2 weeks, always giving me a different explanation for what I had to do in order to receive a smartphone.

She finally said I had to make a call from a 3rd party phone to start the process. I contacted my HUD housing supervisor with my Enrollment ID (she has my other personal information obviously as well). After a few transfers, she was eventually told my account didn't exist and was hung up on. I called Maria back (whatever name she used this time) furious on how I told her to expect my housing supervisor's call, yet she was treated as such. Maria then told me that I missed some deadline and was not eligible for an upgrade... which made me furious as to the lengths that I had already had gone through and the time I wasted for myself and my housing supervisor.

I know that many customer service representatives can come off as stupid, but Maria was beyond dumb. It's not a case of not knowing how to do her job, rather, she is clearly retarded and should not be dealing with the general public at all, let alone be in customer service. The only thing I would recommend her for is an appearance on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon. Maybe then she would get enough money raised for her to get the necessary treatment that would help her remember her own name.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

They are obviously contracted in India or some other country because when talking to customer service the reception is very bad and we can hardly hear each other. Plus, every person I talk with has a heavy accent that makes communicating even harder. I’ve been trying for months to get my lifeline service reactivated and they keep rejecting my application. I never get any notice that it’s been rejected, I have to go through the long process of calling and waiting to get through to someone. Each time they tell me the info I submitted wasn’t sufficient. First I needed to submit 2 months of income, then 3. Then I was told I need to submit my tax return. Today when I called I was told I need to submit my last 4 months of income. I told them, "Never mind, I’m tired of trying." The service was horrible anyway, lots of dropped calls and my texts rarely went through. Horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I have an Alcatel phone that was a replacement of a flip phone that I was told I had a year too long that I got no notification to replace after it had wAs worn out. It started about 6 months ago when it wasn't charging right. I figured out the the inside charging tab in charging port was coming down. I was told it was because of the cord I was using. They didn't want to hear anything about the tab coming out so I let it go and got another cord. It still was happening to the point of having to have it in awkward position to charge and has fallen numerous times and cracked the screen from trying to charge it. Now I am there is nothing they can do about screen or port because phone is not warrantied. I also have noted that battery charge carries to point of one time says over 15% then it's shutting off and when I restarted has over 20% and it's cold out so it's not the heat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I would definitely give them zero stars if I could. Their customer service is deplorable. They find excuses not to provide their customers with phones and is being compensated for proving appalling service and it seems like no one cares. Their competition at least provide phones and replacement phones while they are on warranty.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

The approval process was easy and phone arrived in a timely manner. However, the phone lasted less than two months and they do not send replacements. I can see many others had phone issues as well.While qlink does not replace phones, either, my phone from them lasted two years or more. Avoid Safelink unless you plan on bringing your own phone and never requiring customer service!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I had a problem with my phone a week ago when I got one 2 that I tried to add to my plan instead of the low quality one I purchased from them. They deactivated my account after they said the first one was actually T-Mobile. I said don't deactivate my account because the second one was in town to be delivered to me and I would call back in an hour or 2 with its IMEI number. They deactivated me. I tried 15-20 times to purchase one from them after that one ended up being Walmart brand that I was forwarded to by one of the 35-40 service reps I had the pleasure of being lied to by, never once was I able to get to a sales person to get a phone purchased and because after 6 or 7 hours of arguing with them because they would take 4 and 5 minutes to fake type to check my address or ask my name and or account number.

I did ask what kind of computer they were using that it would take close to 5 minutes to get a response. They refused to answer. Finally, I realized they were doing it to keep me on the phone wasting my minutes at 45-50 minutes a call except for the 20-30 they hung up on me until ultimately the last agent told me I had to go to my settings to shut off the airplane mode. I said it wasn't on. She said it's not and within 2 minutes of the time I got the screen up saying it wasn't on she said the reason your phone hasn't let you make a call or text is because you are out of minutes. Just another lie from the service agents after 40 plus phone calls and never getting it back to working for me once after deactivating on their end twice.

Now I have no idea if it will ever work again or not after reading all of the other horror stories of the way this company treats the disabled people that need these devices for emergencies of all kinds. I'm a multiple stroke survivor and it might end up putting me in a life or death situation not having a phone because of the games the customer service reps that speak better English that I can understand one of 10 or 15 words they say. Usually that's OK and that's about it until they ran me out of having a phone. Why this company has these people still on the clock, I will never be able to understand. Why our government doesn't do something about it, I won't know either. It comes out of taxpayer dollars for Medicaid and the disabled.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

These people lie about pending minutes. I buy airtime for my phone. They are stealing minutes, then I'm on WiFi with data off, when I checked my data it's out. Something needs to be done asap. I hate SafeLink phone service. Ok trying to help people. Yeah stealing pending minutes.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I won't recommend them to anyone. Spoke to 8 different people about a service plan issue and never got the problem solved. They kept transferring me to different departments without giving them a heads up what the previous conversation was about. You get what you pay for.

Not sure about Safelink Wireless?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team