Safelink Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After actually being a customer I can truly say the customer service was horrible, inexperienced and at times unknowledgeable on resolving even simple CS issues. Don't waste your time and energy. Free is NOT worth the headache or time wasted with this company.

I could write for hours about the problems that I have had with SafeLink. I have used this service for several years. I had no problems until recently. My purchased lifetime minutes were taken away. I have tried three times to upgrade to a newer SafeLink phone. Each time, after the phones arrived, I had to return them because SafeLink could never activate them.

I spent HOURS on the phone or with their live chat trying to resolve matters. I spoke with Customer Service reps who simply could not assist me. I had to return the phones at my expense. I spent about four days trying to get matters resolved. Each day I spent on average 4 hours of my time trying to deal with the "reps." I had to plead with one "rep" to give me back the 800 minutes that I had purchased. I was never given my monthly minutes.

I could go on and on! If you work with a LIVE CHAT "rep" or Customer Service representative, be forewarned. You will speak with them for hours and receive no satisfaction. Sometimes you get lucky and speak with someone who really does know what they are doing. Sadly, most "reps" have a broken accent making it all the more difficult to communicate.

I now am waiting for yet another upgraded phone to arrive. I have yet to hear from SafeLink as to when it is to arrive. If it ever does arrive and if they, once again, cannot transfer my number and activate the phone, I am done with them. I am disabled. I qualify for SafeLink. All the same, I will have to let my lawn overgrow just to be able to work with a reliable cell phone service provider and to have a decent phone. Good luck to everyone!

Updated on 04/11/2017: I just received a new SafeLink phone. I had to talk with a rep for about 30 minutes to have him help me activate it. The rep told me that they could not activate it themselves; rather, another company had to do so. The rep told me, initially, that I had to bring my own phone. I explained, repeatedly, that I bought the phone from SafeLink as an upgrade. He tried to convince me that SafeLink's website shows that one has to bring their own phone. Baloney! There is nothing on their site that indicates this; rather, they sell phones! I had to go through a bunch of rigmarole for him to, finally, ask for the IMEI number of the new phone. He told me that I did not have a SafeLink phone. Baloney, again.

He, finally, told me that he was going to send me a text and that I was to text him back a code number. Thereafter, he said that he would have the phone activated but, once again, that it had to be activated by a different company. I, repeatedly, asked him how long it would take to activate the phone. He told me that he could not tell me as it was up to the company that does the activation. Later on, as I kept pressing him to tell me how long it would take for my phone to activate, he told me in about one hour. Guess what? It is now about 6 hours later and my phone is not activated.

He gave me a confirmation number and told me to call customer service in one hour if the phone was not activated. What a lie! I asked how late customer service was open. He told me that they were available until 11:45pm EST. It already was 11:45pm!!! I pointed this out to him. He told me to call back tomorrow, April 11th, 2017. I am, essentially, saying that this rep was full of beans and continually lied to me.

NOTE: If I went with another cell phone provider and had to pay for the service, (which I cannot afford), a new cell phone provider will not transfer a SafeLink number. I had this experience with Cricket. Be very leery of SafeLink. They have very poor customer service. They will steal your minutes. This happened to me. I have tried, for the fourth time, to upgrade my phone with a SafeLink phone, ones that I bought from their website. Each time, they fail to activate the phone. I had to return three that I bought. It is my hope that I don't have to return this phone that I bought and received yesterday.

I have never tried to use ASSURANCE! Maybe I should! I am going to look into it. You have been warned! Be prepared to have a fight on your hands if you buy a phone from SafeLink. I just went to SafeLink's shop for phones site. It is not uploading. What a shame that the government pays SafeLink. Somehow, SafeLink is making money off of the government! I am so frustrated!

Have sent in what they requested for getting my phone minutes back. Have been on hold for 45 minutes with them. They said my account has been de-enrolled. Faxed what they needed but no minutes back. Dissatisfied very much with them. Dont recommend getting phone with them.

In February, my monthly minutes seem to dissipate. By February the 12th, the 500 monthly minutes, were gone. I had only made a few quick calls. Not being able to get any assistance; only a suggestion that I purchase unlimited minutes for 30 days, at the rate of $15. So I purchased the unlimited plan. The agreement stated that monthly minutes would kick in when the unlimited service expired; they didn’t. The representatives did not bother to look for the problem. Every representative, I spoke to on the 19th of March, gave me a different ridiculous excuse and no solution. I was hung up on, laughed at, and treated really disrespectfully. One representative told me to go get a job. The reps kept telling me, my minutes were on my phone; yet, I could not make a call. Then they started telling me I had to wait till the first of April.

Well the first of April has come. I have no minutes on my phone. After talking two three other reps, one took the time to see why the minutes would not load on my phone. It seems that the unlimited plan, suggested to me by the representatives, damaged my phone. This rep, put in an order for a new phone and assured me that I would be able to text until my new phone arrived. Well, shortly after that call ended, so did my ability to text. I called Safelink's technical support twice. One rep, took the number to call on a different line, so that he could troubleshoot phone. He never called. The other rep, told me, I had to wait for the other phone to arrive. So, I am a woman out here alone with no way to contact anyone. Isn't that the purpose of this phone service; so that no one is without a way to contact someone?

I discovered today, that there is no one in the United States to contact. They claim their corporate office is here. Yet, there is no way to contact them. We can only talk to representatives, in another country, that care nothing about respecting us, because, they figure there is nothing we can do about it. Furthermore, while they were treating me like nothing. Talking to me as though, I was stupid for even using this company. I'm guessing they feel that the United States government is stupid for paying this company for its service. Although, I may not need this service much longer. There are people, some elderly, that need this service. Why can't we have this service with a company that actually wants all this business, and treats their customers in that manner?

I called to get my number changed. It never happened even though they said it did. I called, they put me on hold for an hour and a half just to tell me it would take four hours to update my phone when they first said it would take five minutes. When I asked the rep for his name he refused to give it to me as I was going to file a complaint. He left me on hold for another twenty minutes without checking back with me just to say it would take four hours. Total rude inconsiderate waste of my time. Safelink sucks with a capital C and has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. You should hire people who can speak English and who have at least the slightest bit of literacy. Nice way to save a buck by hiring useless foreigners for ten cents an hour just to keep from paying minimum wage to people who can at least converse with a tiny bit of intelligence. I'll say it again... Safelink sucks!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

I will keep it short to add to the 400+ 1 star rating, which is generous. I have never been treated so badly by a "customer support" group. For 1 thing they has no idea what it's like to live without a phone and low income. I was treated like a leper, lied to, basically called stupid and a liar of which I am none. When I ask to speak to a supervisor I got the same exact questions that they are obviously reading a book. Government programs should remain in the country manned by American citizens. It should never be a commission-based company that leaves room for the type of disorders activity that I am speaking of. When I ask to speak to a different supervisor this guy gave me a fake employee number and put me in limbo for almost three hours. I guess he thought it was funny.

I am handicapped and I walked 5 blocks in the rain with the Walker leaving my phone at home continue counting the minutes that I was on hold and I walk to a local business and used their landline. I explained my situation yet again and they were still reading the same book. I am completely appalled with the service and the phones that this company tries to prevent itself favorable to the American people who actually need this. This is Criminal as far as I'm concerned and I am ashamed that our government has not intervened to the terrible waste of tax dollars. It is not for the benefit of the people who need this. It only benefits this horrible foreign country. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this picture that actually makes sense.

They told me not once but 3 times "I'm sending you a phone." Call back in a week to get tracking number... a week later call back they can't find ** about tracking number or anything! Never got anything from these people!!!! They lie and I HATE LIARS! GO JUMP OFF A CLIFF AND DIE YOU SAFELINK!

Safelink Wireless is by far the most difficult cell phone provider to deal with. Their customer service is poor!!! I am pretty sure this company is committing fraud on so many levels and I hope after all these complaints of ripping people off and not providing the service they claim to prior to taking money from the customer someone at ConsumerAffairs investigates them. Safelink turned off my phone after it was activated for about 5 months. I had to redo my account three times and 4 month later they still have not fixed the problem.

They tell you what you want to hear to get you off the phone & offer you no viable solutions except bogus meaningless apologies. They keep recertifying me for service then cancelling my service. They just did it to me again today, after sending me the wrong phone over the weekend, after lying to me and promising me a larger phone that I need because I am a diabetic & have a hard time reading small print & numbers. They're THE WORST!!!

I have had their service for about 3 years. Recently our service was interrupted, like a lot of the other complaints, we were told to re-enroll. We did. After not hearing back from them for MONTHS (we have a magicjack for emergencies - their service is just as bad) I reapplied, AGAIN. I physically wrote to them, photocopied the front and back of the card. It was as clear as day. 30 days later when I call to find out where my minutes are, I am told that my name on my food stamps card isn't readable. It is in HUGE black letters, probably size 16 font. I am told to fax it and I will get my minutes and reactivation in 48 hours. Well, if you fax it, you can not see the the card at all, it is blacked out. I am not sure why. I faxed it twice. I wait 48 hours and I call them back. Then they tell me this long story about how my enrollment # doesn't match, and that I need to email the card. I do. 3x.

I spend over 2 hours on the phone with them, about 4-6 representatives, at least 2 supervisors (Diane and Rosa - something). They all give me different information. They give me a new enrollment # and when I call back after 'getting disconnected' they said that the # isn't associated with me... It is someone else's #?! WHAT! So I am thinking that it is time for a class action lawsuit. People are always complaining about 'freebies' and we try to explain that this may be free, but we aren't even getting the service, when we do it sucks. And after 3 emails claiming they couldn't view my attachment and when I cc'ed myself the emails, I could see the attachment, AND the last time I put the picture INTO the email and they still claimed it was wrong (this time they said the enrollment # wasn't mine). I think they are still making money off the government grants, someone needs to nip this in the bud. They are obviously taking advantage.

I have used Safelink since 2009 and I have had many, many problems and NOT 1 time has Safelink helped me solve any of them! I had thousands of lost minutes, phone constantly goes to Internet and charges lots and Safelink will not help! Most people, including myself, have to call Safelink but they don't tell you that to call them FREE. You must dial 611611 to get FREE help with them instead on their website. They have numbers but ALL cost you minutes and they enjoy talking and placing you on hold and in the END NEVER HELPING!

I worked many decades and became disabled and needed the free service but Safelink gets paid by gov't! My disability requires a larger phone, which Safelink has but they will NOT give me one! My hands are swollen and it's very hard to dial! My phone is a $3 phone that ALWAYS uses up minutes mysteriously and Safelink does NOT CARE! When I can, I'm applying to Assurance... My fiance, now passed, used Assurance and not once had any problems but anything has to be better than all the negative issues with Safelink! I don't want to rehash all the many issues, for they are too numerous, but just to say that Safelink is the absolute WORSE phone service I have experienced! Shame on them for taking advantage of those who are in desperate need for help!

Please don't use Safelink. Was on the phone because in the last year they have taken my minutes away. I am disabled and need my phone. They are suspicious, asked to file complaint, kept repeating they need to check information. Spoke to 3 people. First they said I needed to recertify then they said I needed to send in information. Next they said I had 2 phone accounts but yet could not tell me which accounts and they said they could not look at my phone history that would show that I only used Safelink. They are very suspicious. Don't have any concrete answers. Blame me for the problem. Will change. Too much stress and they are very sneaky.

I got an updated phone from who I thought was SafeLink and it turned out to be Quality One whose customer service is the same as SafeLink, TracFone, Straight Talk basically all cheap phone companies. The worst phone that I ever bought and they won't replace even with the same brand. Bad service throughout the entire company. I was on the phone with them over three days. The first two days it was a total of 16 HOURS then online for the last two days. There needs to be some kind of remedy from companies like this. Do I need to sue or am I just grasping at air... PLEASE HELP ME. I'M A DISABLED SENIOR CITIZEN AND CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS ANY LONGER!!! They do not even deserve the one star you made me give them!!!

I recently decided to switch to Safelink and purchased a phone. For the last 3 weeks I have been on the phone for 2-3 hours a night and my phone is still not completely activated. There is an obvious language barrier, but it's manageable. The problem is the reps have no clue what logic is. They go through a checklist and at the end or if you ask for a supervisor, they transfer you and you start back at step one with a pretend supervisor. After you do the same checklist, you get transferred to yet another pretend supervisor and so on. There is no way to escalate any problem. I have been trying to activate my phone for over 3 weeks now and there is no end in sight. As soon as my texts start working, then I can't make calls. My calls get fixed then I have no texts and so on.

It's now been 7 nights of 3-4 hour long calls because they have my texts somehow configured to Tracfone instead of Safelink. They keep telling me I need to buy airtime in order to text even though Safelink has unlimited texts. How can they make you buy airtime to use your supposedly free lifeline? My only option is going to be to fight to return the phone I paid for and cancel the service. There is absolutely no way to escalate an issue, even if your phone isn't activated after 3 weeks. If they can't even activate a phone, how can they even be in business? How can they billing Uncle Sam hundreds of millions of dollars but not even do what they bill for? The entire companies budget must be spent on officers, accountants, lobbyist and lawyers. There is nothing spent on customer service!

I am writing this for my sister, a Safelink Wireless victim. She has had their services for about 3 - 1/2 years. In the beginning, it was OK, no issues. Then, my sister lost the phone on her mobile home somewhere. We had a replacement sent from Safelink that worked well, after 20 hours of tech calls, for a year. Then, it stopped working. Calls to their tech disaster got all sorts of bad tech. Then, they stated the phone we had been using for the year was listed with them as "stolen" and the computer shut it down. We got that straightened out, with a new phone on the way, never arrived. So, more tech time, seems they sent her replacement to Louisiana, she lives in Nevada.

Finally, a replacement phone got here, an LG 108C, which has been another nightmare, as this is a refurb. Well, it wouldn't do anything but go to voice mail, couldn't figure it out. Finally, last week, I find the phone is shutting itself all the way down, which Safelink then diverts to voicemail. yet 5 more calls to Safelink, one waiting for over 2 hours for someone to come on the phone, 3 of their hang ups, one contact. I find that Safelink will not replace their own non-functional phone, because they just sent that one to her, and it is refurb'd, and could not possibly still be defective.

Since my sister is 84 years old, on a very tight fixed income, and that I have to do all this stuff for her, we are both livid upset with Safelink, with NO resolve in the future, only being told we are stupid. The phone cannot literally shut itself all the way off by itself, we MUST be pushing the wrong button. Well, I sat there and let it run, then, watched itself shut itself down, three times over 7 hours, all different lengths of time, all by itself. Tomorrow, I try to find a reputable company to supply her free telephone services, Safelink simply ain't the one.

It's been almost a year now since I received a different Safelink phone and I do not receive my monthly minutes. This is each and every month. I am tired of wasting a friend's minutes to call and argue with foreigners that tell me that I'm lying, my account has been deleted, my account was never updated and whatever else they decide to make up as they go along. I have even tried to re-certify but was told it wasn't time yet. What is going on with you and what happened to the online chat choice? NEVER had any problems with my first Safelink phone and I had it for several years. I can't help but think that this is some form of terrorism on your part.

I qualify for a phone with these folks, but when I call it takes them 30 minutes to tell me I already have a phone with them, I can absolutely not convince them that I do not have a phone with them!!! I have called them 8 times and every time I get to the part where they tell me I already have a phone, they give me another number to call which is the same number, very frustrating and I am wondering if they have gave my phone to someone else and do not care and they are just plain crazy. They are ripping off the govt. No wonder the U.S. is broke!!!

I was issued 350 minutes and 400 MB of data on 3/1/17. On 3/2/2017, all my monthly minutes and all my data was wiped out and reduced to 0 each. I spent 3 hours on the phone with customer service and all they can do is put me on hold and apologize but they refused to replace the missing minutes or data. They said that they are generated automatically by the system and there is nothing they can do to replace my data or minutes. I spoke with 3 different representatives who confirmed to me that the minutes and data have already been issued on 3/1/2017, and they cannot replace all lost data and minutes. Very frustrating and poor customer service. This is supposed to be the government program for low income folks who can't afford phone service. What a bummer!

I got my phone and the battery wouldn't stay charged so I called them and they sent a new one to me. It goes dead twice a day and I don't even use the phone that much. I'm going back to Assurance wireless. Besides that it says no service all the time. This phone is the worst piece of crap and the service is even worse.

As with most of the reviews I have read here I have had the same experience. So I will not ramble on with repetitive information that is already listed by others. I am disabled and applied for this service when it came out so that when I went somewhere alone I had a way to call for help if I fell or something happened. I never used it for meaningless calls. It was strictly for safety so I could remain independent. They apparently decided that all subscribers in the states needed to be moved over to a 4g LTE service. However minutes would no longer roll over and you had to BUY a new phone or use an existing compatible phone. Ok, I call to find out how I use a phone I already have and was told to go by a BYOP kit for Tracfone.

I go buy a kit only to find out after opening it that it only works with 3 services and NOT on the phone I got. The phone I was given was locked and not able to be unlocked properly for it to work. This was after my 3 hour wait on hold for some girl to tell me I needed to go buy the kit and activate it. Sooo I call them back to say the kit does not work and they had no idea why it didn't and that I needed to go back out and buy a compatible tracfone. At this point I am wondering why a FREE service funded by the taxpayers has me BUYING stuff for this new service they are now going to offer. I get to the store read the phones (they aren't cheap either) and on every box it says that the phones are NOT compatible with Safelink.

At this point I am really frustrated so I borrow my son's phone to call them from the store. Again a long wait, get a customer service rep who tells me... "That means nothing they work just call us when you have bought the phone." I already had done my research and know that the phones indeed DO NOT work with safelink. Tracfone has NO idea how the program Safelink works. They are outsourced workers who have no ability to talk to people in a civil, decent manner. They have no idea how the phones work themselves. INCREDIBLE!!!

At this point I am so livid I come home, call them back and ask them what to do now. I had exactly ONE day at this point or I lose service and all my minutes I had saved from the years I had kept the phone. They were so rude and ignorant to me that I told them just cancel my phone! I like many others think that the government should demand any funds back that have been paid to tracfone by safelink over the years! Not only did most of the representatives I spoke with not understand much English but they scammed our government out of so much money.

If whoever set this program up knew about all of this it would be interesting to know how much of the money used was placed in the pockets of Safelink CEOs. I saw no reason for people on fixed incomes to have the absolute NEED to have a smartphone. In this program a basic phone for everyday living would be all we need. Government programs should provide for necessity/need not luxury.

I've used Safelink for years without any major problems. Until recently that is! Then they changed to new plans in December. I also started using a Verizon smartphone. Nothing but problems since. They keep deleting the 4,800 minutes I had accumulated. I have to call customer service 100 times and spend hours on the phone to have it reinstated. Also the texting doesn't work half of the time. Outgoing texts fail to send and friends tell me I don't receive half of the texts they send me.

I've been calling customer service for five weeks now and they never fix the problem! They are clueless morons and have no idea how to communicate. They keep telling me to turn the phone off and back. Checking by bars of signal etc. blah, blah, blah. They keep you on the phone literally for hours! They tell you they need to escalate the call to a higher department but never do anything but ask the same questions over and over and over. They've sent me new SIM cards, Nothing fixes the problem. It's obviously a technical glitch in the way the phone is provisioned because the phone worked fine when my brother used it on Verizon. I'm pulling my hair out. I just need a phone that works properly or I have to go elsewhere. That's all!

The registration for the phone was simple and easy, however, my phone never arrived and was apparently stolen from the mail. I immediately contacted Safelink to notify them to conduct a trace with the postal service and in addition to initiate a claim. I thought simple enough, I'll have them send another phone and that should be an easy process. What a nightmare, the company has absolutely no customer service, trying to keep my cool with their supposed customer service was a tough task. The first time I called the supervisor deactivated the account, if someone stole the phone it wouldn't be any use to them.

The operator told me to re-register the account and they would be able to resend a phone. Long story short... I was told everything from call your government to getting hung up on after complaining. I finally gave up after a month of trying to square away the problem. I even mailed a letter to the Safelink address in Florida and still nothing. I have no other recourse than to be without a phone until I can afford one on my own. I don't normally need assistance like this, but the company should be reported for fraud. I have even attempted to register with another company for a temporary phone and cannot because I am listed as utilizing a phone program.

Applied with Safelink November 2016. Was approved December 2016 after all the information and verification. Phone was never sent. Called back and was told that first they ran out of phones then they said they no longer service my area in Minnesota (That was a Lie) and so-called supervisor said this. So I went through Assurance, did application, sent proof and called today February 20, 2017 and they said I was denied because I have service with Safelink (WOW). So I called Safelink and they want me to do a whole new application. Though they said I was approved but unqualified and he couldn't tell me what the hell that means. But once again other free wireless services saying I have a account with them.

I honestly believe the employees or someone is doing something illegal in this company. Someone needs to check this because we give them too much personal information and they are using it for self. Time to get to the bottom of this. Will be contacting an attorney to find out who really runs this business that's getting our personal information and approving us for phones we never get. Don't they know I'm poor. I can stand winning a lawsuit. Please help.

I am very disappointed in this phone, I have tried everything to get this phone to connect to the service but it has not worked. Even the Tech Support didn't know what to do! They sent a new sim card and it still would not connect. Apparently their cell phones are cheap, worthless and of course made in some other country. I should have expected this of a government funded program. I talked to at least 5 people to get help from the helplines. NOTHING WORKED. I was promised someone would call back but if they did, I must have missed it! I would like to talk to the head of this program and tell them how terrible this government funded program works. They don't seem to care whether the service is working as long as they collect the payment from the government. This program is failing to provide the service they are receiving money for. Sound like a scam, well, maybe!

For years I had Safelink wireless with no problem then this year with no warning my minutes were not right. I had 9,100 minutes. I called, they said they were having a problem with the site so I called every day for a week them telling me it's going to be fixed then they tell me that their new thing was only 500 minutes a month. "How can you do this?" I said. "Not even a notice?" I think that we need to sue this company starting with a class action suit. Nothing good about this company. I am sure nothing will get done and we all will get screwed.

After being on a call for 35 minutes, hung up on TWICE, TRANSFERRED THREE DAMN TIMES I STILL did NOT receive the HELP I NEED! YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS! Dial the phone, for Technical Support press __, I press __. Technical Support is full of ** so they can't help me, they tell me "I need to transfer you to our Manager's dept". UM WTF is a Manager's Dept. Ok fine they transfer me... Mgr ends up telling me "this is OUT OF MY RANGE, I need to Transfer you to some other ** department!" OMG Seriously?! Ok fine. I need my phone activated.

"USELESS Department how can I help you"... "I need my phone activated." Ok give me THE EXACT SAME INFORMATION YOU JUST GAVE THE LAST TWO PEOPLE YOU SPOKE TO! OMFG! "Oh I'm sorry I need to Transfer you to TECHNICAL SUPPORT!" "Um I spoke to them the first time! I want to speak to a supervisor!!" "Um I'm sorry jennifer all of our supervisors are on calls!"

You all suck, have horrible customer service and have no clue how to help people! F you I want my ** phone activated! Um I spoke to them the first time! I want to speak to a supervisor!! Um I'm sorry jennifer all of our supervisors are on calls! You all suck, have horrible customer service and have no clue how to help people! ** you I want my ** phone activated!

I've been a Safelink Customer for years. I've never seen a Company get away with robbing the Federal Government like they have. 4 Months ago they changed everyone's plan across the United States to 500 Minutes a month deleting everyone's rollover Minutes. I alone had over 2 Thousand Minutes at the time that were taken. These Rollover Minutes were paid for by the Federal Government but were still deleted. Can you imagine how many minutes were deleted across the United States from every Government paid for phone from 3 different carriers Safelink is in charge of and the Government has done nothing about this. I filed a case with the FCC about this and was told that my minutes would be reinstated until April, April of what? This April or April of 2018? Safelink never made it clear.

Every month since they have deleted my minutes and left me with 5 Hundred Minutes. So I have for the last 4 months had to call and spend a minimum of 2 Hrs just about begging these Bandits to reinstate my Minutes. It's enough to make your head Explode. The Federal Government is letting Safelink Wireless Take the American Public to the Cleaners and have done nothing about it. I just do not understand how (Consumer Affairs don't pick up on this). Safelink is in charge of 3 different phone carriers, can you imagine the money the Government has paid them on behalf of the American Public only to see Safelink delete all the paid for minutes.

Let's talk about the Customer Service, the worst ever. You can't understand a word being said, you are just jumped around from one person to another or left to wait at least an hour on hold. Safelink is doing this on purpose just so you get sick of the fight and give up. (Tell me Consumer Affairs when are you going to inform the Federal Government about this and do your job?) To buy 2 Thousand Minutes it would cost close to 2 Hundred Dollars, that's what they are trying to take me for. Imagine the price tag for all the Minutes Deleted from the 3 Cell Carriers Safelink is in charge of. We are talking about at least a Quarter of a Million Dollars and that's just a guess.

DO YOUR JOB CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND HELP THE PUBLIC WHO CAN NOT AFFORD A CELL PHONE OF THEIR OWN. At least inform the Federal Government they are being robbed. I have called Elisabeth Warren's office many times, it's like they could care less. Safelink and it's Management should be in Federal Prison, not left to be in charge of 3 different Government Funded Cell Phone Companies. Do something.

I'm not sure I'll have enough room as I'm still shaking from my experience with them in the last few months but tonight was the icing on the cake. I have had this program for 3 years. Never had a problem. I broke the phone and a new one sent over the summer but have since moved from that address. Still no issues until November when I received my minutes and the next day when I went to make a call the recording said I did not have enough funds to use phone but could still text. I called customer service, woman was great replaced minutes. Then December comes 24 hrs after minutes are received once again, gone, just used text, because I was in the process of becoming homeless, and the phone was last priority.

Now January received minutes 24 hours later again gone, now I need phone to get the help myself and I so desperately need and "Ivan" tells me that I must not be hanging up after I make a call cause at 44 years old I guess I don't know how to push the giant red button. However when I told him my texts weren't working he said that they were unlimited and should work. Told me to dial *22890 and it would be fine. Well it didn't work. So in frustration I just left it alone until a few days ago when I knew new minutes would be added. Still not enough funds and texting unavailable. So I called at 3 in the afternoon they gave me the same *22890 ** and told me to wait for minutes to be added in a day or two. I of course knew that my minutes are always put in on the 29th or 30th, person didn't want to deal. I called again. They told me to call from different phone. If I had another phone would I really deal with this... Not!!!

Friend came and I called at 6 pm after 4 representatives, Jewel, Arnie, Jose, Movie, who had me turn phone off and on 15 times, dial the pointless 22890, had me make 28 outgoing calls just to hear that "there was a problem processing your call." They then so kindly gave me a supervisor. Who again made me run through the same ** again. "Oh we added *73 to the mix." Still can't call, still can't text and finally she gave me her professional opinion on why it's not working. She told me that it is not working because I am in a different address than where the phone was activated. After me laughing thinking she was joking she was very serious...

I said "please don't insult my intelligence, I may need help with a free phone but I am well educated which is more than I can say for any one person there." I asked her what cell towers were for and said "you mean to tell me that you are trying to say I can only use the phone where it was activated. I'm only one town over, it's not like I'm overseas..." Without a response I told her that I will definitely take her senseless illogical advice, get in my car I don't have and go to the home I just lost due to death and call her from the driveway since that's her solution... Are you serious!!! I'm beside myself right now. I was hoping as not one speaks clear English that I misunderstood but nope she was serious... Wish I had a different option because I really can't handle this game anymore???

Ordered a Alcatel phone from Safelink Wireless and it came with no battery. Called customer service which said they would send a battery ASAP. The arrival date was on a Thursday. It is now Saturday and still no battery. I have called these people days in advance just for them to tell me they have no tracking number or no whereabouts about the battery. These people are total liars, con artists and just plain stupid. Do not deal with Safelink Wireless unless you want to be conned out of your money which is $9.99 for the phone and $9.00 to ship it plus $1.37 sales tax. Go to eBay for a more sensible deal.

In general, my luck with Safelink has been OK... that ended today. I received an email stating I had five days of service left. My only question was, "What do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen?" The first rep after almost an hour disappeared and I was put in the queue to wait for next rep. I recently moved and (Helen) stated my address doesn't exist. She spoke too quickly and being in New Delhi, India English is a foreign language but our American gov't has a contract with a company that outsources customer service. Hey! Maybe if they hired individuals whose first language is English it wouldn't cost so much in people's time.

Anyway, after 2.75 hours on the phone Helen comes up with she can change my address but I must provide proof I get mail here but it must be a utility bill. The bills are in my boyfriend's name. She says that isn't acceptable, it must be in my name. They won't even accept my mail from social security or the state of Arkansas. I even received a package during this time which I found very funny since my address doesn't exist according to this incompetent corporation.

The customer service people were RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL, ARGUMENTATIVE and the list goes on... I WILL track down who to file a formal complaint with. I took Helen's employee ID number and will hunt for Safelink corporate phone number. Just because I have a "free" phone doesn't mean I should have to speak to a non-American that works for pennies and is incompetent to boot!! I wonder if "free" is worth the time spent, the aggravation and headache.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.
  • Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.
  • Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.
  • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.
  • Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.
  • Best for SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Compare Prepaid Phones