Safelink Wireless

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am very disappointed in this phone, I have tried everything to get this phone to connect to the service but it has not worked. Even the Tech Support didn't know what to do! They sent a new sim card and it still would not connect. Apparently their cell phones are cheap, worthless and of course made in some other country. I should have expected this of a government funded program. I talked to at least 5 people to get help from the helplines. NOTHING WORKED. I was promised someone would call back but if they did, I must have missed it! I would like to talk to the head of this program and tell them how terrible this government funded program works. They don't seem to care whether the service is working as long as they collect the payment from the government. This program is failing to provide the service they are receiving money for. Sound like a scam, well, maybe!

For years I had Safelink wireless with no problem then this year with no warning my minutes were not right. I had 9,100 minutes. I called, they said they were having a problem with the site so I called every day for a week them telling me it's going to be fixed then they tell me that their new thing was only 500 minutes a month. "How can you do this?" I said. "Not even a notice?" I think that we need to sue this company starting with a class action suit. Nothing good about this company. I am sure nothing will get done and we all will get screwed.

After being on a call for 35 minutes, hung up on TWICE, TRANSFERRED THREE DAMN TIMES I STILL did NOT receive the HELP I NEED! YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS! Dial the phone, for Technical Support press __, I press __. Technical Support is full of ** so they can't help me, they tell me "I need to transfer you to our Manager's dept". UM WTF is a Manager's Dept. Ok fine they transfer me... Mgr ends up telling me "this is OUT OF MY RANGE, I need to Transfer you to some other ** department!" OMG Seriously?! Ok fine. I need my phone activated.

"USELESS Department how can I help you"... "I need my phone activated." Ok give me THE EXACT SAME INFORMATION YOU JUST GAVE THE LAST TWO PEOPLE YOU SPOKE TO! OMFG! "Oh I'm sorry I need to Transfer you to TECHNICAL SUPPORT!" "Um I spoke to them the first time! I want to speak to a supervisor!!" "Um I'm sorry jennifer all of our supervisors are on calls!"

You all suck, have horrible customer service and have no clue how to help people! F you I want my ** phone activated! Um I spoke to them the first time! I want to speak to a supervisor!! Um I'm sorry jennifer all of our supervisors are on calls! You all suck, have horrible customer service and have no clue how to help people! ** you I want my ** phone activated!

I've been a Safelink Customer for years. I've never seen a Company get away with robbing the Federal Government like they have. 4 Months ago they changed everyone's plan across the United States to 500 Minutes a month deleting everyone's rollover Minutes. I alone had over 2 Thousand Minutes at the time that were taken. These Rollover Minutes were paid for by the Federal Government but were still deleted. Can you imagine how many minutes were deleted across the United States from every Government paid for phone from 3 different carriers Safelink is in charge of and the Government has done nothing about this. I filed a case with the FCC about this and was told that my minutes would be reinstated until April, April of what? This April or April of 2018? Safelink never made it clear.

Every month since they have deleted my minutes and left me with 5 Hundred Minutes. So I have for the last 4 months had to call and spend a minimum of 2 Hrs just about begging these Bandits to reinstate my Minutes. It's enough to make your head Explode. The Federal Government is letting Safelink Wireless Take the American Public to the Cleaners and have done nothing about it. I just do not understand how (Consumer Affairs don't pick up on this). Safelink is in charge of 3 different phone carriers, can you imagine the money the Government has paid them on behalf of the American Public only to see Safelink delete all the paid for minutes.

Let's talk about the Customer Service, the worst ever. You can't understand a word being said, you are just jumped around from one person to another or left to wait at least an hour on hold. Safelink is doing this on purpose just so you get sick of the fight and give up. (Tell me Consumer Affairs when are you going to inform the Federal Government about this and do your job?) To buy 2 Thousand Minutes it would cost close to 2 Hundred Dollars, that's what they are trying to take me for. Imagine the price tag for all the Minutes Deleted from the 3 Cell Carriers Safelink is in charge of. We are talking about at least a Quarter of a Million Dollars and that's just a guess.

DO YOUR JOB CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND HELP THE PUBLIC WHO CAN NOT AFFORD A CELL PHONE OF THEIR OWN. At least inform the Federal Government they are being robbed. I have called Elisabeth Warren's office many times, it's like they could care less. Safelink and it's Management should be in Federal Prison, not left to be in charge of 3 different Government Funded Cell Phone Companies. Do something.

I'm not sure I'll have enough room as I'm still shaking from my experience with them in the last few months but tonight was the icing on the cake. I have had this program for 3 years. Never had a problem. I broke the phone and a new one sent over the summer but have since moved from that address. Still no issues until November when I received my minutes and the next day when I went to make a call the recording said I did not have enough funds to use phone but could still text. I called customer service, woman was great replaced minutes. Then December comes 24 hrs after minutes are received once again, gone, just used text, because I was in the process of becoming homeless, and the phone was last priority.

Now January received minutes 24 hours later again gone, now I need phone to get the help myself and I so desperately need and "Ivan" tells me that I must not be hanging up after I make a call cause at 44 years old I guess I don't know how to push the giant red button. However when I told him my texts weren't working he said that they were unlimited and should work. Told me to dial *22890 and it would be fine. Well it didn't work. So in frustration I just left it alone until a few days ago when I knew new minutes would be added. Still not enough funds and texting unavailable. So I called at 3 in the afternoon they gave me the same *22890 ** and told me to wait for minutes to be added in a day or two. I of course knew that my minutes are always put in on the 29th or 30th, person didn't want to deal. I called again. They told me to call from different phone. If I had another phone would I really deal with this... Not!!!

Friend came and I called at 6 pm after 4 representatives, Jewel, Arnie, Jose, Movie, who had me turn phone off and on 15 times, dial the pointless 22890, had me make 28 outgoing calls just to hear that "there was a problem processing your call." They then so kindly gave me a supervisor. Who again made me run through the same ** again. "Oh we added *73 to the mix." Still can't call, still can't text and finally she gave me her professional opinion on why it's not working. She told me that it is not working because I am in a different address than where the phone was activated. After me laughing thinking she was joking she was very serious...

I said "please don't insult my intelligence, I may need help with a free phone but I am well educated which is more than I can say for any one person there." I asked her what cell towers were for and said "you mean to tell me that you are trying to say I can only use the phone where it was activated. I'm only one town over, it's not like I'm overseas..." Without a response I told her that I will definitely take her senseless illogical advice, get in my car I don't have and go to the home I just lost due to death and call her from the driveway since that's her solution... Are you serious!!! I'm beside myself right now. I was hoping as not one speaks clear English that I misunderstood but nope she was serious... Wish I had a different option because I really can't handle this game anymore???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Ordered a Alcatel phone from Safelink Wireless and it came with no battery. Called customer service which said they would send a battery ASAP. The arrival date was on a Thursday. It is now Saturday and still no battery. I have called these people days in advance just for them to tell me they have no tracking number or no whereabouts about the battery. These people are total liars, con artists and just plain stupid. Do not deal with Safelink Wireless unless you want to be conned out of your money which is $9.99 for the phone and $9.00 to ship it plus $1.37 sales tax. Go to eBay for a more sensible deal.

In general, my luck with Safelink has been OK... that ended today. I received an email stating I had five days of service left. My only question was, "What do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen?" The first rep after almost an hour disappeared and I was put in the queue to wait for next rep. I recently moved and (Helen) stated my address doesn't exist. She spoke too quickly and being in New Delhi, India English is a foreign language but our American gov't has a contract with a company that outsources customer service. Hey! Maybe if they hired individuals whose first language is English it wouldn't cost so much in people's time.

Anyway, after 2.75 hours on the phone Helen comes up with she can change my address but I must provide proof I get mail here but it must be a utility bill. The bills are in my boyfriend's name. She says that isn't acceptable, it must be in my name. They won't even accept my mail from social security or the state of Arkansas. I even received a package during this time which I found very funny since my address doesn't exist according to this incompetent corporation.

The customer service people were RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL, ARGUMENTATIVE and the list goes on... I WILL track down who to file a formal complaint with. I took Helen's employee ID number and will hunt for Safelink corporate phone number. Just because I have a "free" phone doesn't mean I should have to speak to a non-American that works for pennies and is incompetent to boot!! I wonder if "free" is worth the time spent, the aggravation and headache.

I agree with all of the previous reviews. Over one month ago purchased a smart phone and paid extra as compared to other sources to purchase from Safelink as I mistakenly thought it would simplify the process. I was sent the wrong SIM card and then sent an additional five more incorrect SIM cards, my old phone could not be reactivated. I have been on the phone for approximately 100 hours trying to correct this problem, to no AVAIL. I have been transferred and cut off more times than I can say. You cannot understand the reps, they don't know what they are doing, they even lost my minutes. All said and done 30 days later I do not have either my old phone or my new Smart Phone and am battling for a return label to return this SmartPhone. Worst customer experience of my whole life. Stay away, run away. Go without a phone or just purchase an inexpensive prepaid. Not worth the benefit.

I received a TracFone from Safelink, and I have been trying to get it activated for over two weeks. I have talked to probably ten different people. First I had to get new sim card then got it activated. Made one phone call, then the next day terminated? I've been calling, keep getting transferred, being told wait 48 hours. I call. Still don't have service.

Today I call. I've waited 72 hours. Transferred three times, at this point, the last rep I talked to had the nerve to tell me to get glasses or a magnifying glass to give him information, Victorino rep. He was very rude, kept telling me I was being recorded. I said good because I didn't appreciate his comment. I am disabled and I still don't have a phone. Having to borrow one. I have no phone. Again wait 48 hours and then give pin if I wanted to talk to supervisor and I will be calling tomorrow. As far as this phone I hope people has better service than I have been having. I'm very disappointed.

Due to a bankruptcy after a failed business, I qualified for Safelink in California. I received a phone that was of such poor quality speakers were inaudible on it, and during conversations, if I removed the phone from my face to look at another screen, the phone wouldn't register the motion and so would remain on the energy-saving dark screen unless I disconnected the call. Nor would the phone allow modern app usage - like Google Maps. The motion sensors were so primitive the phone would get stuck between screens and wouldn't respond to touch interface.

But I can understand that a government-sponsored phone might be bare-bones and consumers would have to sacrifice contemporary functions in exchange for the free phone. If the "smartphones" the program is giving out (consumers can't choose the phones we receive) are of such toy-like quality, though, the company/program should consider giving out higher quality standard phones (meaning actually useful devices). What I found humiliating and unforgivable was the customer "service" associated with this program. I've had cell phones for 20 years, and never before has a company's appalling service come close to Tracfone-Safelink's.

It took me weeks of daily phone calls to the company to get my service activated, even though I'd already been approved. Then, once service was activated, it would become deactivated within 24 hours. I'd have to call back Safelink/Tracfone to get them to reactivate services, but they never had in their system information from the previous call. So I'd literally spend hours speaking with agents. And I'd regularly catch agents giving me inconsistent information about services and connections. When I ask to speak with a supervisor, I'm literally told there aren't any. I cannot understand why the customer service is so horrible. You're always connected to a non-English (primary) language call warehouse where it's as if you need a TEFL certificate just to communicate, and then most of your simple questions go unanswered or the answers you get are unintelligible.

Today, despite my making at least a half-dozen calls a month on my phone as evidenced by my phone's call log, I got a message on trying to make a call that the phone had been disconnected. Mind you, I'm supposed to have access to texting as well as voice, but texting has never worked through the several months I've been with Safelink, and despite my letting every customer service agent know.

After sitting with an agent for nearly an hour as she documented my problems and explained, over and over, why I must have access to texting (never once actually acknowledging what I was sharing that I've never had access to texting on the phone), she gave me instructions to wait 24-hours and try the line tomorrow. What a waste. It won't work tomorrow, like it normally doesn't work the next day after an agent documents the problem. I'll call back, wasting another hour or more of my day RE-explaining everything to another inept agent who'll do/say the same things today's agent did.

Safelink is a fiasco. And worse, taxpayers are paying for it. No modern company I've interacted with in the past 15 years has offered such consistently poor, unprofessional service apparently devoid of any accountability. Both Safelink and TracFone should be deeply ashamed of themselves. I will never, under any circumstances, buy a TracFone emergency phone. It's nor worth it to have access to a "Safelink" (name's an irony) line that disconnects randomly throughout the month and reliably fails to provide services you're supposed to have and therefore depend on ("Safe"link). I'm just going to stop using the phone. After five months trying to get it to work, it's clear the administrators don't care that it doesn't. All TracFone cares about is getting the US government taxpayer subsidies. They certainly don't care about the customers.

I have two TracFones. One is Safelink and one I pay for the minutes. TracFone/Safelink have the accounts crossed without my consent and I have repeatedly called in to get it fixed and all I get is yes it's fixed and then find out it's not. I have several ticket #s for it to be fixed and it never was. I would not recommend having more than one phone with this company. Safelink is a good idea but the hassle is not worth it.

I called several weeks ago to cancel a phone that my ex (who is a Safelink rep and had put fraudulent information on the application) ordered. I never received the phone and by the time I called to cancel the phone they had already sent it out. I asked that the phone be cancelled, so I could reapply. I don't live at the address that she had the phone sent and I don't talk to her any more. I was reassured that they would cancel the phone and I could reapply in two or three days. I waited and tried to reapply and it keeps telling me that I already have an application started. I really need a phone so I can put the number on job applications.

I must say it was the worst experience I've ever had as far as customer service. It took three days to not get cut off after hours. I was on the verge of tears. They should not be eligible to provide this service. After days they connected a new SIM card and still failed provide my minutes. It's unfortunate that the government feels it is ok for people to go through this. Most cannot even be understood. They switch you from department to department cutting you off every time, then you can go through the whole thing again. I can tell you after all this I still don't have my minutes. After over an hour on the phone, I have knots in my stomach at the thought of calling again. Please do something!

They are worst of company ever. Gov phones - they need to stop giving people free phones that don't work. Their customer service is the worst I ever came across in my whole life. Offering people to upgrade their phones is a lie. People there do not know how to do their jobs.

My cell phone Safelink is damaged and starts the odyssey of trying to get a new one. The story is long: According to his instructions I bought a cell through TracFone that never served despite the many calls I made. In the end they told me to give it back. I went to FedEx and it turned out that I had to pay for the shipment. It lasted almost a month making calls trying to make the cell work. I will not continue to make failed attempts. I will lose the cost of telephone, taxes and $10 of additional data I spend. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE.

My service was shut off with no explanation or warning. Never contacted me with a complaint. Having a impossible time getting it turned back on. I am a disable veteran and this situation has caused extreme daily problems. I have called them on friends phones but the waiting time is prohibited when on a friend's phones. Tried everything I can think of to locate their email. The chat contact was useless. Tried to find out where I can go to meet a rep of theirs in person. Again no info.

My husband has Safelink. The other company that he had which was Care Wireless Cellular opted out of the program. He's really never had any problems with his phone. Customer service is outsourced by many cellular carriers. The person who said about the government phone is that it is not issued by the government. It was a program set up by the government with carriers so if you have any problems it's not the government it's with the carriers and you must remember that the phones that Safelink has are better quality than for most other companies.

Yes it is hard sometimes to talk to a customer service rep because their English is really not that clear but overall we have had really no problems just as he said. Keep it on for 7 days after the first of month to get your minutes. Also make sure it is charged. And the one nice thing about Safelink is that if you need more minutes you can use TracFone Top-Up cards and that is really good. So that's all I really have to say this.

Safelink Wireless is nothing to brag about. They promised 250 free min a month and unlimited texting. I have never received min. From day one I received 17min and now as of 11/23/16 I have been stopped on my texting so I have no phone when I have no job, get food stamps, no car, my electricity has been off for many months. I feel that I been screwed out of this so called help to help the needy. Also I could not get any reception in the middle of town. Maybe I should start a protest on this.

Now this is messed up. For years I've used Safelink. Years. Always used it just for doctors. Rarely ever used it for friends unless it was to get a hold of family. They even sent me a new phone when my first one got lost. I loved them. Thought it was the best thing ever the government ever came out with. Now my 3 year old must have gotten a hold of my phone, because suddenly it quit working. I checked it out and it apparently had water damage, which is why I think my 3 year old got it. So I call Safelink asking about it and what to do. They said if it has any color on the x's on the battery then it came in contact w/ liquid. Ok fine. I figured that. Now the first phone I lost about a year ago, my 3 year old just recently found it in her toy box, hurrah!!! Right? Nope. They got me all excited thinking I could activate that phone again. Nope.

I reported it lost. That's why they sent me a new phone. Which I understood that part. The part that they would not activate it again even though I could clearly and obviously prove it wasn't stolen, is what is irritating me. Plus I never reported it as stolen. Just lost. Which shouldn't be the same thing. I think an update is very needed to make a change in that. Now they want me to go buy a new phone to activate w/ them!!! If I had the money to do that, then I wouldn't need a government paid phone, I would just go buy a phone and keep time on that. I WAS very thankful for my Safelink phone. Now it's just a huge hassle and I'm not able to get a hold of my doctors or my kid's doctors or vice versa. I've had other people tell me they have had multiple replacement phones for more than one reason. I've even had a friend get a smartphone off them, for free. She didn't have to buy hers like they tell everyone to do.

Safelink does have horrible customer service and they are the government, and they outsource this free government entitlement. I don't know why people are complaining. It is a free phone from the government. They are tracking your calls and texts anyway. LOL. According to them they do not have 250 minute plan with rollover minutes per month anymore. It is now 500 minutes, NO ROLLOVER. I guess free is free and that's why you get for something you don't pay for.

I called in to activate the Tracfone since I was unable to do so on my own. I have been on the phone with the 1st rep for about 37 minutes. It took that long to discover that the old phone I have no longer is associated with my amount. Mind you I Gave the rep imei and telephone number. I also gave the rep the enrollment ID on the letter and telephone number which was different. Ok, we have established the phone I have is old and not on this account. A phone was shipped in 2010 I think she said to a different address. Mind you it is 2016. "Ok so can you ship a new phone." Guess what now I have to be transferred. Urggghhh. The next rep was faster but there was a lot of dead silence. They said it will take 7-10 days to receive a phone. They are not the fastest. There is a little communication problem because we definitely kept going back and forth.

The worst customer service I have ever experienced. I was helping a Senior resident get her phone activated. This was a third call we made to Safelink over the past two weeks which they have NO RECORD OF! Today, I spoke with customer service, then the technical dept, (Selene) then to a supervisor, then back to technical worker. I then asked to speak with Selene's supervisor because after almost 2 hrs she kept putting me on hold. "Just a few more minutes to enter info". How much info does she need to enter to send a sim card? Stacy (supervisor) came on the line. She said she had no record of me being transferred to different depts. Stacy and Selene win for being the most "sarcastic and disrespectful" team. I was on the phone 2 hours and 6 minutes with Safelink, still no service and the worst customer service ever.

Internet service and customer support is the worst! Tech said he spent longest time on install than ever before, over 14 hrs. Spent more time on phone with tech support than usable time on internet. Example spend 2-3 hrs with tech support for 1 hr of use. Beware 4 mb per sec is not streaming, at best I received 1.3 mb ps. Good luck people.

I have never been more dissatisfied with a customer service department than I am with Safelink's. I recognize that this is a free to the user service, but taxpayer dollars are being used for this and they need to be held accountable. If you try phoning their customer service, you are shuttled from department to department and if you do manage to get a hold of a person, English is never their first language and the background noise is so loud you cannot understand what they are saying anyway.

Using online chat is somewhat better but, in the last five days, I have talked with ChenChen, Myanar, Boris, Jaypee, Raul and others. They refuse to listen to you and only spout canned rhetoric. Boris helped me out by issuing me a new ticket which put my account even farther behind getting activated. I still don't have my minutes.

I have worked in customer service and in a commercial setting, this would simply be unacceptable and one would lose their job. At this company, you complain and explain and are only given a rote "sorry for the inconvenience"; "I understand your frustration but you will have to wait several days to several weeks" and are then given a brush off of "If there is nothing else I can assist you with, good evening." A supervisor is never available to speak with you and each person tells you something different.

It is frustrating because you know they can expedite things if they chose to. I have kept transcripts of all chats and quote them to each operator and it is to no avail. Boris needs to be reprimanded but I have no recourse. I wish I knew how to make these people and this company be more accountable and more consumer friendly. I think the government needs to investigate this service and perhaps pull their contract. Thank you.

I applied for & was eligible for a Safelink phone & service. I received the phone & tried to activate - it would not. I called Customer Service & the lady worked with me for almost 30 min. She could not activate. I ask her if it was a CDMA or a GSM phone -- she told me GSM. I told her that was the problem -- I have no service with AT&T - only Verizon where I live. She said no problem, she would send me a new CDMA phone & to call back when I got it. I did not get a new phone -- I got a SIM card.

I installed the SIM card & contacted them again by CHAT this time. [I have a hearing problem on the phone.] The person tried & tried for about 15-20 min & finally told me to give it a day or two to activate & a new WO number; I waited 5 days, shows the minutes but still showed NO SERVICE; contacted them again by CHAT & the lady told me it was activated. Ask her why it shows NO SERVICE. She did not know -- ask me if I needed any other help that day & I told her YES I Did - I needed a phone to work; she told me that the other cell phone I have was activated -- it is with Straight Talk & I will be turning it off at the end of the month.

I cannot get a new phone on the $30 program & cannot afford the $45 plan; that phone has nothing to do with the SafeLink phone. I have bought a TRACFONE to use so my terminally ill husband can have the Safelink phone. Explained I would also be turning house landline phone off as the bill went to $60 a month & I cannot afford it. Told me again to give it another several days. I am tired of the runaround & I want this contract cancelled with them. I also want to know who to cancel it with that is paying the bill -- they are not going to be paid for phone service I cannot get.

My 1st WO # was **; My 2nd WO # was **; the phone serial # is ** - this is a cheap phone & I even ask if I could buy a plain phone myself to use & she would not answer that question. I need a phone & phone service but I am not going to get it with SafeLink obviously. I am very irritated & angry at SafeLink Wireless - it is a SCAM.

Updated on 01/08/2017: I have been working on this problem since then & still as of today have no phone with service. The last time I worked with someone I was finally told that the phone I had was with a different company T-Mobile & not TracFone. I told her I was trying to activate the phone that they sent me--I did not buy it.

Now every month I get a notice in the mail telling me that I have not put my monthly minutes on the phone--how can I when the phone will not work? I have never been so frustrated with a company as I am this one--I've even tried to cancel the service because I know they're being paid for it & haven't been able to do that. The phone they sent was with AT&T - told them no service in my area other than Verizon. Instead of sending me a new phone they sent a SIM card - it will not work either to activate phone. I need this phone & the minutes but I don't know what else to do.

SafeLink Wireless sent me an email telling me that I can upgrade to a smart phone for a limited time. I pay $150 for a smart phone - and what came in the mail is a T-MOBILE phone. Then when I go to switch my phone, they can't find the new phone's serial number. Then they tell me that I need to buy an AT&T sim card. I call again to activate, they basically call me crazy because AT&T is not affiliated with them and they can't use an AT&T card. They say "no, you need a TracFone card". So trip two, 40 miles a trip I go to Walmart and buy a TracFone sim card. I call them, she says "no, you can't use TracFone. You need to get an AT&T card." She also mentions that the "bring your own phone" that I purchased from shopsafelink.com might not even be unlocked. Then later on in the conversation she says, "well, looks like you can't get any service" then proceeded to try to sell me minutes anyway.

Long story short, it took $22 in sim cards that I don't need, them not accepting responsibility for their actions causing me to spend all that money on useless sim cards, and it took about a half hour to get information on how to return the phone, not to mention then other times they hung up on me when I demanded answers (I called them like 4 times). Stay away from SafeLink if at all possible.

My ex STOLE my phone. When I reported it lost, they deactivated per my request. My ex was able to REACTIVATE phone by answering "SECURITY QUESTIONS- PHONE # AND MY ZIP"... THIS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES. He used this phone that I REPORTED STOLEN to threaten me and my 3 yr old child several times.

When I called Safelink, the woman I spoke with MOCKED ME, was very CONDESCENDING and told me that asking for the last 4 of my social to identify me and the supposed GOVERNMENT program wasn't how it was done. They allowed someone other than ME to access MY account FRAUDULENTLY and had ZERO remorse in doing so. That is IDENTITY THEFT. I had to go through this 3 times in 2 days. I will ABSOLUTELY be contacting an attorney since they allowed this loser to reactivate my phone. I will NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PROGRAM and if it's government ran, why are all calls going to INDIA?!! Wish I can give them NEGATIVE STARS. SCUMBAGS!!!

My phone was lost and according to their TOS on their website they would provide one replacement phone for no cost. When I contacted them they said they had "just" changed their policy and are no longer providing the "free" replacement. This was over a month ago and they still have not changed their TOS to reflect this "change". In other words they LIE... and their customer service is completely worthless. I have been trying to activate a "bring your own phone" which is still out of service despite spending more than 2 hours with their incompetent techs and going through 3 different TracFone sim cards. Thanks for nothing.

They sent me a faulty phone. It won't even turn on, it discharges completely as soon as you take it off the charger. They won't replace and say I must "purchase" another phone from them. I tried to disconnect my service so I could go to another company, but they refuse. Beware, nothing but a Scam!

It would appear that Safelink is a scam to get money from the government. First, service is almost nonexistent. I have to be within 20 yards of the city limit sign in my small town to get any service bars. The phone that I have is always telling me that the battery is overheating or if left off the charger for 24 hours the message is that the battery to too low. You're suppose to verify each year that you still qualify for service but apparently they have collect money from the government a couple of years in advance because I have two years of service left on my phone. I live on a fixed income and only got this phone because of possible need while driving to town. I live 13 miles from service so that is useless. I've not been able to find a way of contacting Safelink about the problem. They get the money from the government for the service but there is no service. This is a free phone so I shouldn't expect a lot but they shouldn't take money for what they don't provide.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.
  • Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.
  • Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.
  • Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.
  • Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.
  • Best for SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Compare Prepaid Phones