1.09/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Safelink Wireless Reviews

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I won't recommend them to anyone. Spoke to 8 different people about a service plan issue and never got the problem solved. They kept transferring me to different departments without giving them a heads up what the previous conversation was about. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

BUNCH OF IDIOTS. They shut my phone off / STOLE my minutes for SPITE. I THINK those people have a sickness and need help. They are all losers. Shut my phone off after I got out of hospital with open heart surgery. I'm 76 disabled and they still shut my services off. I HAD NO PHONE and didn't even realize those creeps shut phone off.. Said I didn't have any minutes. I had 980. Asked about the FREE phone that govt provides, they said "we stopped giving phones out." GUESS WHAT? Its not for them to decide.

Bought another phone a week later. Never turned services on or transferred minutes over to new phone. Had to call corp office in FLA. THEY ARE JUST AS STUPID, IGNORANT as those pos at Safelink. After an hr. they decided to turn my services back on. Said application needed updated. Told them I did that 4 times. Every time I'd call, said didn't get my info. After 13 days, said they got it but couldn't read a number on snap card. So they shut my services off again. Said I'd have to re-enroll again even after I did that 4 times. I think they just do that for spite, and they are sick in the head. CORP JUST AS STUPID AS THE GOOFBALLS OVERSEAS. How in God's name can they shut my phone off when I just had open heart and have no phone, and never even told me they were going to shut phone off? SICKOS.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I've already had several different phones with Safelink with no success. They do not hold a charge after just a few months even though I'm very careful with the charger. Today was just so sick. I was forced to buy a phone at Target so I could keep my old number. They told me that all target stores sold net 10 phones. Lie 1. No one does except for them so they can make their sales money. Lie number 2 was to keep the phone I bought. I had buy sim kit again. Told to me that was sold all over not. So to Fedex this useless sim kit I had to pay 16.03 plus 20 for a phone plus now 20 dollars in Tracfone plan. I hate safelink. With them you are bankrupt. Go safelink. Go safeless. Metro PCS has 100000000000 times the product and service. I just wish I could afford it again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

It takes forever to get this service. Do not try to rate their service. After talking to service rep they will not hang up. They know when they hang up you will be transfer to rate them and why this company hire people you can understand.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Because of the first of the year, no more 3g phone service, I went to Safelink website to order a new 4g phone. I couldn't decided between 2 phones and they both were cheap enough, so decided to order 2 and see which one worked the best. I ordered one phone and then when I tried to order second one, it said the website was experiencing problems and my order could not go through and try again later, which I did, then got an email that said I ordered 3 phones.

I called them to cancel 1 that they ordered twice and was on the phone for 20 minutes with one guy, who then after going through all the stuff said he couldn't cancel it and he transferred me to another guy, who went through the whole thing AGAIN and then asked me for my Credit Card number and finally said they had no way to cancel orders and the only thing I could do was refuse the phone when it came to me, which was crazy. How am I to know which phone is in which box. I can't believe that a big company like Safelink cannot cancel an order. And it wasn't my mistake in the first place. So beware if you order anything from them. So now I'll be stuck with 2 of the same kind of phones. All I have stated is true and just happened today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Safelink is awful. I used their plan for almost two years. During this time I would get hit with constant scam and phishing phone calls. It was to the point I couldn't even turn my phone on because the text messages would not stop. Even after calling the company and switching my number, it still continued. The phone they had provided me was a very old model that is not a smartphone, but small, straight non-flip phone (like a Nokia basic phone). You can't block phone numbers on that phone.

Recently a friend gave me one of their old smartphone TracFones. I called to switch to it. They were willing to change it till they asked where I purchased it. When I said it was a gift, they told me that it was incompatible with their technology. They then tried to sell me a phone. I told them I couldn't afford a phone due to circumstances in my life. That this friend gave me this phone to help me communicate better with doctors, family, therapists, etc as my child had been battling cancer and both my children have autism. They did not care. I find it very confusing that they can make a very archaic phone work with their plan but cannot use a smartphone that is only a few years old. They are a sad company when they try to milk money out of the very poor and ill. I have cancelled my plan with them and will be going with a different company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

My son is eligible for a free phone due to his disabilities. Initially, he had service through Assurance Wireless, but the phone was poor quality and difficult for him to use. So, I transferred his service to Safelink so that he could use a familiar Apple device. From the beginning, the process of transferring service was much more difficult than it needed to be, in part because the customer service reps. are very robotic. They sound intelligent until you ask a question. At that point, they simply repeat what they just said. If you do not understand what they are telling you, they continue to repeat the same response, over and over again. I finally realized that they have a script, and they stick to it. They lack any understanding of how or why the process works. And when they get stuck, they simply transfer you to another department.

Despite having a spare iPhone, I was advised that I had to buy a new one from SafeLink, a division of TracFone. After several frustrating months of poor cellular coverage and mysteriously disappearing data, I decided I would rather pay for good service than accept crappy, unreliable free service. When I called to transfer the phone to Verizon Wireless, I was told that I had purchased a locked phone. Embedded deeply in the terms and conditions (which we all read thoroughly) is a policy that a phone cannot be unlocked until you have had service with them for an entire year. I spoke with several different robots, who all spit out the same response: “The terms and Conditions of... blah, blah, blah”. Ultimately, I recognize that I was remiss in not reading the terms, although I still would have bought the phone, because I expected he would have adequate cellular coverage.

So, now I will pay another $600 for another phone and pay out of pocket for good coverage. The thing that really makes me angry is that the government will have to pay for 6 months of unused service before I can unlock and use the phone I paid for in the first place. The population served and the government program paying for this program are both being short changed by SafeLink!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

They create sudden problems in your service line and deactivate your phone. When you call their customer service you will not be able to talk to anyone because your phone needs to be activated. They have a recording that will ask to use debit or credit to activate and be able to use your phone. All their phone number will answer with the same recording and you will not be able to speak to anyone and unless you buy minutes, your phone will be useless. Keep in mind when they disconnect your line it is not because of real legitimate reason. It is just a ploy to suddenly stop your service and make you buy minutes. In my case they disconnected my line suddenly 2 days after I joining and bringing my number to their company. So I wasn't able to use my phone or receive calls in my long time number. They give me fake reasons such as "because I didn't use my phone for 60 days," which wasn't true. I need to reapply for California Lifeline again.

Another reason I was given by another employee is that I was enrolled in two different phone companies in the same time and I need to reapply to Cal lifeline which will take 3 weeks and would I like to buy minutes so I would be able to use the phone until the problem resolved. When I called California lifeline I was told everything is okay and I am not registered with either company and I could just go to any participant company and get a phone. These on the other side of the phone are Filipinos employees in a calling center in the Philippines; They know that the phone company scamming you to buy minutes. I hope this company be investigated by the authorities in the US and penalized for their criminal activities which includes extorting the lifeline recipients and customers.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Every single month for well over a year now, I have to spend hours speaking with multiple reps and supervisors to get my service to continue working properly. Whether it's the free minutes kicking in, or getting a paid plan to work properly. I go through no less than three to five different reps who all claim to have fixed the problem, each of them telling me the previous rep didn't fix it correctly. HOURS EVERY MONTH!!! Something is not right with the service they provide. I would NEVER rely on it to be there God forbid I were having a health emergency or were stranded somewhere. The govt needs to look into it, as it's THEIR Lifeline service that Safelink is providing. There has to be a better company that is more reliable.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have called so many times, I've just about given up. I have a heart condition and can not make or receive calls unless I'm standing with my head against one window in my apt. If I have another heart attack I doubt I will be standing near that window if it happens. This service is appreciated because I need to be able to call for help, that's what it was created for and Safelink, bounces me back and forth from TracFone & Safelink whenever I call. I have gone through all their testing, turning off the phone, using another phone, etc. It remains the same. Does anyone know what government agency you call to get results?

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs