3.8/5 (313 ratings)

About Safelink Wireless

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: July 20, 2021

Buyer beware. This company fraudulently signed me up for the EBB discount and took 3 months of discount benefit that could have been used with my regular service provider. Their customer service was terrible. The majority of the time the reps could not be heard when I got someone on the phone. And the fact they signed me up for the EBB discount through them without my knowledge is deplorable.

Original review: July 14, 2021

This is the absolute worst - the most inept just horrible company I have ever encountered in my entire entire life. A nightmare with an ongoing headache built into it - totally maddening. This whole freakshow started in March when I made the fatal error I guess of porting my phone number to a new phone that I purchased from safelink net 10. For 5 months now this has been a nightmare on repeat - normally I have Ca lifeline and I never even have to think of my service. It just is there every month. This has been a living nightmare.

Every single month for 5 months they keep shutting off my service then I have to call them to turn it back on - but still the text messaging doesnt work then I have to spend 2 to 3 hours with them on the phone - calling them from another number - speaking with the corporate department - NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING HERE - time after time I have asked them "Please just fix this once and for all" and each month they tell me it's fixed then it happens all over again - then they try to tell me I need to renew my CAlifeline and they forced me to pay - I called CA lifeline and CAlifeline said I didnt need to renew until March 2022 - so SAFELINK disconnected and interupted my service and will not restore it and is making me pay now.

NONE OF THESE PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THEY JUST LIE TO YOU OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN but none of them actually know what they are doing - it's a joke man I have spent probably 20 hours on the phone with these people since march. THE "SUPERVISOR" Just hung up on me - it's cheap labor from some pacific island nation. They must be either dumb or gaslighting people. THE WORST EVER.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2021

They have no idea what they are doing and you will most likely be transferred to every employee they have. They all tell you something different and are a huge waste of time. Something as simple and straightforward as transferring a number is a week long headache. If you have ANY other option for a service provider, choose that one.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Forget the fact that none of them speak English very well and they are so not helpful. They did not send me a recertification and they did cut my phone service off upon me calling them. They told me it would be 30 days. Then when I got mad the guy told me don't get mad. That's my first warning like who is he my dad? Of course I'm mad. Second off he hung up on me and they would never connect the call back. He kept hanging up on me again. So obviously just one very rude guy works alone there because how would I get the same guy over and over again. Literally he just kept pressing buttons and waiting on the line or he would just hang up. STAY AWAY. Horrible and unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I purchased a phone from Safelink upgraded website. I received my phone and called to have it activated. It was activated but no cell service in my area after being transferred 7 times and me telling them that Verizon doesn't have coverage in the rural area where I live. They said, "We will send you a different Sims card." This was 6 hours later. I got the Sims card and of course it didn't work either. So they transferred me 5 different times. I got hung up on because I couldn't understand what the guy was saying. I call back and was transferred 6 times for them to say, "We will send you another phone." I asked this guy like 8 times to make sure it's at&t compatible. He said, "Oh it will be." I receive this phone and it won't pick up service either. I check carrier and it's on Verizon carrier. They tell me that at&t were working on their cell service to give it 48 hours. If my phone didn't work to call back next day. I get 2 more phones from Safelink.

I call them back after 48 hours and tell them the phone is still not working and that I received 2 more phones and they tried activating both of those phones as well in the span of 7 hours and 16 minutes later and being transferred 9 more times they tell me, "We are sending you packaging and label to send those phones back and when we get those phones we will send you another phone that's at&t compatible." I threw a fit but of course it did no good. Ok now I'm waiting another 3-5 days for the packaging to come. Well during this time I get another phone. I turn it it on and check carrier it says Verizon. I didn't even call them and tell them. I got the packaging and send all 5 of these phones back. I call them today to get a tracking number because they told me my phone would be shipped out the same day they received my returned phones. They got them on Thursday Dec 17th.

They have to transfer me twice and the last guy said, "Oh you received your replacement phone on December 11th." I told him yes I received a phone but it was still under Verizon carrier. He more or less said that the system decided with the information from my account what carrier I needed and shipped me the phone the system decided I needed. He couldn't give me a tracking number but gave me a reference number for the call I made to them today for me to call back in 3-5 more days to get the tracking number. I have been without a phone since December 7th. I am very sick with multiple health problems. I'm on oxygen 24\7. They do not care that I don't have a phone to call for help if I need to. I'm going to try another service. Safelink is a joke. I do not recommend safelink to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Representatives give incorrect info. Every time I call I'm told something different. They can't do anything without having to get a supervisor. I've called 6 times to transfer service to my new phone.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My severely disabled son qualified for a free phone. What a nightmare this company is. The worst. Rude, incapable and unprofessional. What should have been easy was ridiculous. I kept getting transferred to people that had no idea what their job was. It took 174 minutes to finally speak with someone able to do the job they get a paycheck for.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I have been using Lifeline for over three years. I recently switched from Safelink to QLink. I am disabled and plagued with health problems and I live alone with no help. For four days I have been without cell service, which is dangerous for someone like me who falls down. Safelink shut me off without notice or warning on Monday November 30. QLink mailed the SIM card, but it’s sitting in a mail distribution center in St. Louis which cannot be processed until further notice because of COVID-19.

QLink refuses to overnight a SIM card and Safelink refuses to temporarily turn my service back on. I’m stuck in limbo without any service because of poor choices both companies are making. My phone number was with Safelink. However it was NOT to be ported over until the SIM card arrived from QLink. I was assured by both companies I would not be without service during the transition. They both lied and I’m the victim! Please help. Use extreme caution when picking what Lifeline service provider!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

2 weeks of daily agent sabotage each agent promising but to do is then again scheduling my service to end with either 12, 24 or 36 hours from then. Repeatedly changing my phone number sometimes telling, not always. My account was moved to a subsidiary, NET10 without my permission or notice as well. Not a single compensating and honest employee that I've dealt with to date.

Now they are refusing to turn my service back on until I get the new sim card in the mail that I can't get to without a phone and the agent hunt up on me after I explained this conundrum. I'm sorry I came here and promise to correct this ASAP myself. The stress of dealing with this has made me physically sick and triggered seizures, one caused a bad head injury and the last triggered a grand maul. This level of stress can kill me, I've never been treated so terribly and I hope no one else ever is either. Corporate is just as bad only more eloquent. I can say this, every agent was extremely pleasant. Aa

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I first switched to them because my Assurance wireless phone was almost useless. With Safelink when I first enrolled they gave different plan options. For 2 years they gave me the plan I didn't ask for. I opted for more data. Now they only offer one plan that has 3 GB data yet I don't seem to be getting all the data. The phone Safelink sent actually did work better and I did eventually get my own phone. I looked up how much web time I should be getting and was shocked to see that 1 gb data is about 20 hours of web browsing. I actually get from 6 to 10 hours. I do updates and downloading using wi fi at the library. I probably will switch and am disappointed to have to do this.

Safelink Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

Safelink Wireless Company Information