Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Safelink Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: April 12, 2020

I have used Safelink for some time now and never had no problems that customer service couldn't resolve on phone. And have service nearly everywhere. Safelink also give its users extra data as well as monthly plan minutes due to coronavirus which is a plus in addition to affordable plans not covered by Lifeline service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

They are an okay phone company just internet lags a lot but texting and calling works perfect. Takes good pictures and videos and apps are okay on it too.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I became familiar with SAFELINK Wireless about 6 years ago. I was in a bind financially and my mother couldn't reach me most times when she called. (Due to me not able to pay bill). She suggested I apply for the free phone and benefits from Safelink. I was hesitant but I applied then qualified and have been using them ever since. I purchase a great plan every month at an awesome price! The quality of service is great and customer service has always been helpful. I would recommend anyone to give them a try.

Original review: July 20, 2020

If you want to be blown off and have money stolen from you then by all means deal with this company. My upgraded phone was not delivered to my address as delivery company stated and I was basically told to figure it out myself. After arguing with customer service about how most companies correct a bad delivery, I was told a ticket would be placed on the missing phone and still nothing.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have been receiving minutes just fine from Safelink but unable to use them due to the phone they sent me when they upgraded phone. When I got it I had service to internet and could use minutes. As time went on they removed all services except to be able to make a phone call or text. Service was poor when you called to tell them the phone isn't working. I built up over 27000 minutes and when my son bought me a phone from their company and I called them to activate and transfer minutes after being reassured this phone would update me and I would receive minutes. They only transferred 995 of the 27,000 minutes and said they had to get special permission to give me the rest of my minutes. Well of course the minutes were not approved and I was stuck with only the 995 they issued.

The government needs to send someone to check how safelink is cheating not only consumers but misusing and charging the government acct for services not being held up by the contract they signed with them. Whenever I try to use internet service or connect to networks I get the message, platform not supported... This is for all phone use except making a call or a simple text. When I first got phone all these options worked. Why did they reprogram my phone not to work and then tell me after this is a nonservice phone??? Why did they send me it then? Why did they say this was an upgrade when it downgraded services? Please can someone look into why they are getting away with this? More complaints need to be entered because I know plenty of people who get their minutes but phones are unusable.

We need an honest company to handle these minutes and services who won't make people receiving the service having their phones cut off from reprogramming by safelink after they receive the phone. I feel this is definitely being done on purpose so they can suck up as much profit as possible from government contracts. They are proving their company to be unworthy of trust to consumer and government.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I had worked in customer service for most of my career. This was absolutely the most horrific experience I have EVER had. Took over 3 days to try to resolve my problems, 3 days of misery, & I hung up again.

Original review: May 3, 2020

I ordered service from Safelink, and received a SIM card via US Mail. The shipping notification said it was coming via UPS. It even included a tracking number, which was invalid. So I put the SIM card in my unlocked network-compatible phone. I get no service. I call customer service at Safelink. I talked with three different reps, each one supposedly "higher up." Two reps repeatedly talked over me. One of them asked me a question, but did not even give me time to respond before asking again. Of course I had to repeat info with each rep.

After trying several fixes, I was still not getting service. They would tell me they were trying to update something but couldn't. They said the call was dropping, but it was not doing so on my end, so I don't know what was going on. After a ridiculously long and fruitless call, I was so exasperated that I tossed the SIM card and decided to keep paying for cellular service. When you go to their website it asks for your zip code, first thing. So why couldn't I get service from Safelink? I have no idea and neither do they.

Original review: April 30, 2020

My father had this service. According to Safelink SMS it was valid till 2021, however his phone was disconnected in April 2020, during pandemic! He lives in NYC Metro area, which is hot spot. He is 82 and we need this phone to connect, if something happens. I called to Safelink and message many times, asked customer service to restore service, they were unable to do anything. They asked different questions, they also said that this service ended in March. We never been informed about this. It is 4/29/2020 and his phone is still not working. We feel absolutely frustrated and just hope that nothing happens to my father.

Original review: April 26, 2020

At first I thought wow, in this difficult time of coronavirus here is help. Well once again wrong. After spending non-reusable time via web, email and finally phone where no help able. Safelink had sent me a sim card already activated!!! What? No help from customer service except to tell me to buy a new sim card. If I had the money to buy sims/mins. I would have stuck with my original phone carrier. Thanks for a Big Fat Nothing!

Original review: April 22, 2020

Every year is a nightmare to renew certification with Safelink. They never let you know when re certification is due. So this year I put it in my calendar to do so the phone doesn't just stop working again with no notice... Well, I called and did the renewal information over the phone. It is important to mention that I am my brothers legal voice and his power of attorney.. That means I am the only one that can legally speak for my brother!!! Also, my brother is in a nursing home and is currently under quarantine..

So after my call to re certify him, they told me all I had to do is get registered with Lifeline and his phone will be all set... Lifeline approved him immediately and they told me to call safelink with the approval number (lifeline was wonderful). When I did, they told me they cant recertify my brother with out talking to him. I explained multiple times why this is not possible. He doesn't understand what they would be talking about. They told me that is the only way to re certify him. I told them they are discriminating (disability act) because he can not speak for himself legally... I am done with the games they play and I'm thinking about calling an attorney for being discriminated against for his disability!!! And this is supposed to be a company that helps people!!!!

Safelink Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team