1.16/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Safelink Wireless Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2019

I'm on Medical right now and can't afford $40/mo. on Metro PCS so I decided to try this free govt. phone (Safelink). On 16th and Mission San Francisco a woman agent help me out, I don't need a new phone, I want my Metro number transfer to my unlocked Pixel 3.. She put a new sim and activate (T-Mobile sim). Gave me a number to call for transfer, I call them and provide Metro acct. no., PIN and the IMEI on the new sim, waited for about 10 minutes and my Metro number was transfer, wow... I test the speed, I get 60 mb.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I like Safelink Wireless, I like the $ 15.00 unlimited plan, but like with every cellphone you still have issues, but overall I truly think they are the best deal around, cause they are always there in a pinch, just don't use all of your free mins...

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've read a lot of reviews on here about Safelink service. All of them were complaining about either not getting their phones, having problems with the service. Couldn't get recertified or their phone getting shut off. I can honestly say I've never had any of these problems. I've had Safelink service since 2011. I applied online. About a month later got my free cell phone. It was a basic little straight flat cell phone. I was happy. Never got anything free before. Was very glad that I could get one since I lost my job and didn't have money to buy one. I never had a problem with the phone or the service. I got a little flip phone for my birthday and had Safelink switched to it. Not a problem at all. I called TracFone since that's Safelink's service. All I had to do was give the lady the numbers out of the old cell and the numbers to the new cell.

Everything went fine no problems. After about a yr I got a smartphone from Family Dollar on sale for $20. I called again and got everything switched over to the smartphone. No problems then either. Each time the same cell number got switched over to new cell. This is 11-28-2018 and I still have the same $20 smartphone with the same number. I had to call customer service once when I didn't get my mins. This was in the first yr of service. You have to leave your phone on for the first few days of the month to get your mins. I forgot and had it off so my mins didn't get added with the phone off. I called was told to turn the phone on and mins would be added. Few mins later I got the new mins. Few times I got a text to make at least one call a month which I wasn't. I now do and don't get the text anymore. The only time I get any text from Safelink is when it's time to recertify.

I also get a letter to tell me too. I go online and do the recertification and have no problems. The only problem I've had with Safelink when calling is understanding some of their English. Everyone I've talked to has been very helpful and nice. I have not called Safelink since switching my last phone 5 yrs ago. I can't say how customer service is now but I've never had a problem with them. I'm sorry everyone else is having all the problems with them. Hopefully I don't start having them. If I could give Safelink a 10 I would have. Hopefully I keep getting the great service that I have.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm quite an experienced person using different prepaid plans and other LifeLine providers service, I guess you could say I've tested several other LifeLine plans with other carriers/MVNO and I always go back to SafeLink. I never can understand how there are so many negative reviews on here. Before I started using the Truly Unlimited plan in 2017 I was paying $65 a month for Cricket's so called truly unlimited plan. I would get throttled regardless of data consumption, and all regular HTTP (not https) traffic would be proxied and compressed on Cricket's end of the network without any way to use HTTP data/websites in RAW form with things like curl/wget etc in a Linux or Android OS. They also consider large amounts a data usage to be in violation of 'hotspot/tethering terms'. Eventually Cricket discontinued my service even having paid 2 months in advanced without refunding my money.

This review is not about Cricket I know, but I want to throw that out there for a comparison point as Cricket is even until this day the only unlimited data plan you can get prepaid for a reasonable amount, but those things I listed above are very critical. With SafeLink Truly Unlimited I have to say my overall experience could not be better. I get true Verizon LTE speeds of 20-60 mbps regardless of the amount of data I've consumed. I typically use between 200-300 GB a month because we have no option for cable TV, DSL, cable internet, etc in the rural area we live. For $43.95 (total after tax/fees) I get better speeds than the people who live in areas that receive high speed cable. We use our SafeLink plan to stream our TV all day long with no interruptions. I don't get messages halfway through the month about exceeding a threshold, or warning messages about a hotspot/tethering violation.

With all that said an even better thing I have to say is that SafeLink will allow you to purchase a CDMA TracFone and use a Verizon sim if you happen to live in an area where Verizon has coverage, but in a zip code where you can't apply. For example I Live on the KY/TN state line and in this zip code we have Bluegrass Cellular coverage but it comes from a Verizon owned tower located on the state line. I can't get any good reception with AT&T or any at all with T-Mobile.

What I did was went to the Dollar General a mile down the road but in TN and purchased a TracFone for Verizon's network. I called and explained my situation about service in my area to SafeLink support. Without issue they asked for my sim card # on the new device as well as the IMEI, and they transferred my LifeLine to it without issue. I did have to get a new phone number because I was originally issued a KY AT&T number and it would not port instantly to Verizon without a delay. This was no big deal as I could not use the AT&T number anyway.

I was hesitant at first to put a truly unlimited plan on my account due to the situation I outlined in the previous paragraph, but after my Cricket plan was terminated unexpectedly, I didn't have much reason to not give it a try. Thankfully it worked well, and has continued to for over a year now. Having full Verizon network capabilities and speeds without any restrictions on data usage is very nice for us people who live in a rural area right on a state line. I will say that 1x/3G roaming does not work on Verizon where I live, but you can set a lot of phones to use VoLTE and set the connection mode to LTE only, and in those cases where LTE signal isn't as strong as 3G you will still have data/voice/text which is virtually everywhere I've been.

There is no other network that has as broad of coverage as Verizon's network. When you pair SafeLink + Verizon + Truly Unlimited plan, you will have by far the best cellular coverage and capabilities of any carrier out there. With all that said you will have to actually live in an area that has full Verizon coverage and not in an 'extended' coverage area. 98% of the USA that has any cellular coverage at all also has full Verizon coverage as well.

With this experience I've had and I've used both SafeLink with AT&T and Verizon, SafeLink itself cannot be beat by any LifeLine program, or even any prepaid/contract provider plan. It's better than any plan you can possibly find. AT&T Truly unlimited plan works the same as Verizon's but the speeds on the network is what really makes the two as different as day and night. With AT&T in a good coverage area on Truly Unlimited I could get around 12-15mbps, but with Verizon it's usually 25+ at any given moment with it closer to 60 the majority of the time. All for less than $45 a month. I just hope this doesn't change because it's a life saver for people in rural areas that have no alternative to tethering their phone for Internet access. If someone can find something that could be improved with SafeLink, I'd sure be interested in knowing. It's the best LifeLine program without a doubt by far!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have called so many times, I've just about given up. I have a heart condition and can not make or receive calls unless I'm standing with my head against one window in my apt. If I have another heart attack I doubt I will be standing near that window if it happens. This service is appreciated because I need to be able to call for help, that's what it was created for and Safelink, bounces me back and forth from TracFone & Safelink whenever I call. I have gone through all their testing, turning off the phone, using another phone, etc. It remains the same. Does anyone know what government agency you call to get results?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I agree with all the negative reviews. The experience is so bad that I now believe they are purposely trying to frustrate the customer to the point where you are desperate enough to PAY for a few minutes while waiting for problems to be resolved or your phone to be turned back on or arrive. I have placed approximately 50 calls and talked to that many reps and supervisors over a six month period and I have only had two tell me the same thing. Everyone else said, "They shouldn't have told you that" about the other agents. You give them the info they need and they said it's either not enough or they never received it. Phones don't work - it's your fault; system doesn't work - they don't know why; they don't understand what you're saying - it's your fault, again, even though they are in foreign countries and it's hard to communicate with them; you're rejected - it's Lifeline's fault, not theirs. You call Lifeline, and they say it's Safelink's problem; etc.

I must say something else, I have had Safelink for about 4 years and everything was fine until 2019. I don't know what happened but you're in the Twilight Zone with these people, now. We need to urge the powers that be to open an investigation. I tried other companies but from the response I got it seems they will all be just as bad. If anyone has a little money to spend on a phone, you might be better off using Lifeline's discount program instead. You'll have to get a plan from a company such as AT&T and you very likely will qualify for a discounted rate. Thanks for all the reviews. It helps to know you are not alone!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Since day one I have not been able to use the plan's data connection service. I at least have voice service and text service but the data connection has never worked. I have has 3 ticket numbers and still I have not been able to get any answers or help. Each agent I speak to says they have to go through the same basic steps for me to speak to someone to check the status of my service. That is a huge waste of time for myself and the company. From a company standpoint, why are you paying your employees money for something that will not work? You're giving money for free away! Haa ha that's so bad business but good for the employees. Thanks for that Safelink Wireless but customers like me will never EVER EVER refer anyone to your service.

Sure, this is a free government plan but nothing is free and if there is another company that the U.S. government can contract then I will switch in a New York minute. It's almost like all these call centers in the Philippines have the same script and it is designed to not help customers. I mean just look at other review websites like Google or Yelp, yea even this one! This is such a horrible service that I prefer having nothing instead of it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I've been getting my monthly minutes on the first of each month. This month I haven't received any minutes and I'm unable to make or receive calls. My service end date is in April of 2020, so it's not that. I've called 3 times and I've gotten 3 different replies. The first time I was told it was fixed and the minutes were added. It never happened. I called again and was told it would be fixed and I would have my minutes and be able to use my phone within 2 hours. Twenty-four hours later and still no minutes and still unable to use my phone. I called a third time and was told it sometimes takes 5 or 6 days to receive minutes, so I should be receiving them in a day or two. In the meantime, assuming I do get my minutes, I've been without my phone service for 4 days now. I'm a heart patient and this is totally unacceptable. I'll be looking for a different carrier.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

We've been having issues with this Safelink for months now. I do not understand how the phone that has service can take calls, but cannot send out texts. This issue even happens with the phone connected to wifi as well. The person we were talking was rude and did not want to help with the issue. She just had us restart the phone and claimed it was the service. Since she did not understand what was going on with the phone, we told her we wanted to talk to someone else, she placed us on "hold". We could hear everyone talking for over 30 minutes before it went to a computer message that ended the call. Worst customer service we've ever had.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I have been with this company on and off for a few years. At first they seemed great, until more recently. I mean, you get a free phone (assuming you didn't already have an account through them), but even so if you have to buy one through them, the prices aren't that bad. So there's not much to complain about there. What I'm more upset about is the fact that their workers are SO incompetent, and don't even do their job. I accidentally broke my phone a couple months ago, and I've tried countless times buying new phones to replace it.

I bought 2 phones, one after the other. And they couldn't activate either on my number- and they were Tracfone, so they SHOULD have worked (at least one should have!) Their excuse was an error kept popping up, and I had to "wait 24 hours" 7 times during a duration of a WEEK. They couldn't "fix" the problem. After that, I was fed up with having a shattered screen and tired of hearing the old "wait 24 hours" so I yelled at them, telling them that I've been TOLD to "wait 24 hours" for a WEEK, and they "fixed" it and got one of the phones to "work". Which of course meaning it wasn't working properly. I wouldn't receive calls or texts, and anything outgoing would be sporadic. I got tired of that, so I once again transferred my number back to my old, shattered phone and that worked a lot better.

More recently, I purchased a phone from THEIR WEBSITE. And I tried activating it online 5 times, and once over the phone and there was errors. So I tried again this morning, and it wasn't working. I called customer service this morning and was yet again told to wait 24 hours to call back! I don't know what the deal is activating a new phone to transfer your number with them, but it seems like a pattern that I don't want to deal with any longer.

I appreciate that it's a free phone, but that doesn't make it hassle free, I suppose. But the customer service is AWFUL and should do their JOB; what they are paid to do like everyone else! So honestly, if you are looking to bring your own phone, you should probably steer clear and try to find another free phone service because they only seemed to go downhill from what they originally were. I will be returning my phone and cancelling service through them, myself.

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs