1.25/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

723 Safelink Wireless Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2019

I'm on Medical right now and can't afford $40/mo. on Metro PCS so I decided to try this free govt. phone (Safelink). On 16th and Mission San Francisco a woman agent help me out, I don't need a new phone, I want my Metro number transfer to my unlocked Pixel 3.. She put a new sim and activate (T-Mobile sim). Gave me a number to call for transfer, I call them and provide Metro acct. no., PIN and the IMEI on the new sim, waited for about 10 minutes and my Metro number was transfer, wow... I test the speed, I get 60 mb.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I like Safelink Wireless, I like the $ 15.00 unlimited plan, but like with every cellphone you still have issues, but overall I truly think they are the best deal around, cause they are always there in a pinch, just don't use all of your free mins...

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've read a lot of reviews on here about Safelink service. All of them were complaining about either not getting their phones, having problems with the service. Couldn't get recertified or their phone getting shut off. I can honestly say I've never had any of these problems. I've had Safelink service since 2011. I applied online. About a month later got my free cell phone. It was a basic little straight flat cell phone. I was happy. Never got anything free before. Was very glad that I could get one since I lost my job and didn't have money to buy one. I never had a problem with the phone or the service. I got a little flip phone for my birthday and had Safelink switched to it. Not a problem at all. I called TracFone since that's Safelink's service. All I had to do was give the lady the numbers out of the old cell and the numbers to the new cell.

Everything went fine no problems. After about a yr I got a smartphone from Family Dollar on sale for $20. I called again and got everything switched over to the smartphone. No problems then either. Each time the same cell number got switched over to new cell. This is 11-28-2018 and I still have the same $20 smartphone with the same number. I had to call customer service once when I didn't get my mins. This was in the first yr of service. You have to leave your phone on for the first few days of the month to get your mins. I forgot and had it off so my mins didn't get added with the phone off. I called was told to turn the phone on and mins would be added. Few mins later I got the new mins. Few times I got a text to make at least one call a month which I wasn't. I now do and don't get the text anymore. The only time I get any text from Safelink is when it's time to recertify.

I also get a letter to tell me too. I go online and do the recertification and have no problems. The only problem I've had with Safelink when calling is understanding some of their English. Everyone I've talked to has been very helpful and nice. I have not called Safelink since switching my last phone 5 yrs ago. I can't say how customer service is now but I've never had a problem with them. I'm sorry everyone else is having all the problems with them. Hopefully I don't start having them. If I could give Safelink a 10 I would have. Hopefully I keep getting the great service that I have.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I'm quite an experienced person using different prepaid plans and other LifeLine providers service, I guess you could say I've tested several other LifeLine plans with other carriers/MVNO and I always go back to SafeLink. I never can understand how there are so many negative reviews on here. Before I started using the Truly Unlimited plan in 2017 I was paying $65 a month for Cricket's so called truly unlimited plan. I would get throttled regardless of data consumption, and all regular HTTP (not https) traffic would be proxied and compressed on Cricket's end of the network without any way to use HTTP data/websites in RAW form with things like curl/wget etc in a Linux or Android OS. They also consider large amounts a data usage to be in violation of 'hotspot/tethering terms'. Eventually Cricket discontinued my service even having paid 2 months in advanced without refunding my money.

This review is not about Cricket I know, but I want to throw that out there for a comparison point as Cricket is even until this day the only unlimited data plan you can get prepaid for a reasonable amount, but those things I listed above are very critical. With SafeLink Truly Unlimited I have to say my overall experience could not be better. I get true Verizon LTE speeds of 20-60 mbps regardless of the amount of data I've consumed. I typically use between 200-300 GB a month because we have no option for cable TV, DSL, cable internet, etc in the rural area we live. For $43.95 (total after tax/fees) I get better speeds than the people who live in areas that receive high speed cable. We use our SafeLink plan to stream our TV all day long with no interruptions. I don't get messages halfway through the month about exceeding a threshold, or warning messages about a hotspot/tethering violation.

With all that said an even better thing I have to say is that SafeLink will allow you to purchase a CDMA TracFone and use a Verizon sim if you happen to live in an area where Verizon has coverage, but in a zip code where you can't apply. For example I Live on the KY/TN state line and in this zip code we have Bluegrass Cellular coverage but it comes from a Verizon owned tower located on the state line. I can't get any good reception with AT&T or any at all with T-Mobile.

What I did was went to the Dollar General a mile down the road but in TN and purchased a TracFone for Verizon's network. I called and explained my situation about service in my area to SafeLink support. Without issue they asked for my sim card # on the new device as well as the IMEI, and they transferred my LifeLine to it without issue. I did have to get a new phone number because I was originally issued a KY AT&T number and it would not port instantly to Verizon without a delay. This was no big deal as I could not use the AT&T number anyway.

I was hesitant at first to put a truly unlimited plan on my account due to the situation I outlined in the previous paragraph, but after my Cricket plan was terminated unexpectedly, I didn't have much reason to not give it a try. Thankfully it worked well, and has continued to for over a year now. Having full Verizon network capabilities and speeds without any restrictions on data usage is very nice for us people who live in a rural area right on a state line. I will say that 1x/3G roaming does not work on Verizon where I live, but you can set a lot of phones to use VoLTE and set the connection mode to LTE only, and in those cases where LTE signal isn't as strong as 3G you will still have data/voice/text which is virtually everywhere I've been.

There is no other network that has as broad of coverage as Verizon's network. When you pair SafeLink + Verizon + Truly Unlimited plan, you will have by far the best cellular coverage and capabilities of any carrier out there. With all that said you will have to actually live in an area that has full Verizon coverage and not in an 'extended' coverage area. 98% of the USA that has any cellular coverage at all also has full Verizon coverage as well.

With this experience I've had and I've used both SafeLink with AT&T and Verizon, SafeLink itself cannot be beat by any LifeLine program, or even any prepaid/contract provider plan. It's better than any plan you can possibly find. AT&T Truly unlimited plan works the same as Verizon's but the speeds on the network is what really makes the two as different as day and night. With AT&T in a good coverage area on Truly Unlimited I could get around 12-15mbps, but with Verizon it's usually 25+ at any given moment with it closer to 60 the majority of the time. All for less than $45 a month. I just hope this doesn't change because it's a life saver for people in rural areas that have no alternative to tethering their phone for Internet access. If someone can find something that could be improved with SafeLink, I'd sure be interested in knowing. It's the best LifeLine program without a doubt by far!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have had Safelink for almost 2 years. Transferring my phone number from another major unsubsidized carrier was tortuous to say the least - time-consuming for both myself and Safelink. Part of the problem was that I brought my own unlocked phone. They were always patient, considerate, and stuck with the process no matter the time or energy and I never have had to wait more than a few minutes to talk with Customer Service.

The phone service itself has been excellent as well, not a single glitch. This month is the one time I have run up against the 350 minute talk limit. I just wish they had some kind of a warning that I was getting close because I ended up well over an hour with Customer Service only to find out that because I exceeded 350 minutes. I now have only Internet and texting until my minutes renew on the 1st of next month. I am giving thought to switching to another provider that has more talk time. Otherwise, if I could give Safelink 10 Stars I would!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safelink Wireless?

Original review: July 8, 2019

The phones they provide sucks and the service sucks. Customer service sucks too. Government needs to cancel Safelink all over the world. They give your broken phones so you can pay a lot of money for another broke phone. Do not get a phone with these people. Try other government phone service providers. SMH at Safelink.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had the "honors" of helping someone activate their new phone after their old one died and needed replacing. Easy, right? Not a chance with Safelink. The first call went about as smooth as driving over potholes after a long winter. This was where we found out that the SIM card that came with the phone wasn't the right one and we had to get one for a carrier in our area. New SIM card ordered, a few days later, it arrives. We call again and after several painstaking minutes (it seemed like hours), the phone is activated. Done, right? Not a chance.

It turns out that while the phone can make and receive calls, no incoming or outgoing text messaging. On the phone with them again and this time, they tell us that the new phone is carrier specific which is why messaging isn't working. I tell my constituent about this new problem, she calls and is informed that she has to get yet another SIM card. Ordered yet another one and with any hope which I strongly doubt, this should be the last call to this pathetic waste of a company.

Each time a call was made, we were told something different. There were times where their so called "customer service" tried to end the call(s) before the issue(s) were even resolved. Being informed after three calls that the phone was carrier specific...how is it they didn't know this the first two times we called and why wasn't this information provided on their website when the phone was being purchased? After that, being told we needed a new SIM card after already purchasing one and not a word about the phone being carrier specific this time. To top it off, the language barrier can be a bear to deal with. How it is they're still in business is beyond me. This is the company hired by our government to assist those who are elderly and/or poor? Wow, just, wow...

Original review: June 13, 2019

My Safelink phone broke and I needed a new one. First time I called they said they couldn't replace it but they can transfer my plan to another phone. Instead of buying a new phone I asked if I could use my old (only 1.5yrs old) MetroPCS phone. They said yes. I called a 2nd time with my old phone in hand after restoring it back to factory settings ready for them only to be told after giving them all the info of my Metro phone that I would have to call up MetroPCS to have them unlock my device from their service before they could continue. Something that they've could've told me that needed to be done the FIRST time I called when I asked about using my Metro phone.

I did a little googling and found that most phones come with an app already installed to unlock your phone. I easily found it in the Metro folder and after a couple of simple steps and restarting my phone all that took but 1 minute to do my phone was unlocked and ready. Something that could've been done while on the phone that SECOND time. So now the THIRD time I called thinking this is it I'm once again told there's more to do. Now they tell me I have to go out and BUY a Tracfone sim card kit and call them back once I have it. Said I can't use the Metro phone's card and I can't use the one from the broken phone. AGAIN SOMETHING THEY COULD HAVE TOLD ME THE FIRST AND SECOND TIME I CALLED.

The whole reason I'm trying to use an old phone is so I don't have to go buy a phone. Why not just buy a new phone then if I have to spend money anyways on some sim card kit. So I hang up laughing at them when asked if I'd like to do a survey that they will text to my broken phone I can't use and start googling again for the kit and other options. Never bought the kit and got my service working on my old Metro phone on my own without having to call them to do anything. All I had to do was make sure my Metro phone was unlocked from the Metro service, turn both phones off, remove batteries, take out the Metro's sim card and put my Safelink one in its place. Replace battery and turn on. DONE. THAT WAS IT!! That's all I had to do, 3 calls later and all I needed was Google.

My phone now has my service on there just like that. There was no need for a FOURTH phone call but I did it anyways. I was curious what they would say. So I asked them if I could just do all that I just did and they said NO!! Told me it wouldn't work yada yada! I took the high road and instead of chewing em out I simply hung up. Their customer service agents are either lying to you to get you to buy unnecessary things or seriously don't know **. I know this is a long review but hopefully it helps someone from the migraine of dealing with them. Lesson learned. Always google first.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Horrible experience. I've been using Safelink for years. It's always been great and I appreciate having it. Here are my recent frustrations: went online to do my annual renewal. Seemed to go fine, but I couldn't tell if I needed to upload any documents. It said I was "approved" but it also said "pending state of WI certification approval". I don't know if that means I need to send in something. I decide I will call the next day to find out. Meanwhile I look around the site wondering what new phones are offered (it's been years since I've had an upgrade). I fill out some info and I'm texted a pin. The pin is 3 digits with a dash and then the same 3 digits again (like 533-533). 7 spaces total. The space to enter the code is only 6 spaces long. So I delete the dash. It says my code is invalid. I try again and 3 times I'm texted the same code. Could never get it to work. It kept saying invalid code.

Finally I gave up. I guess I don't need an upgrade. The next day I call Safelink. The automated message says I may be eligible for a special offer. It asks if anyone in the household is 50 or over. Yes, I am. So I press 1. I'm immediately transferred to another company and a woman says she wants to send me, free of charge, a medical alert necklace in case I fall. I am hesitant (I am not very trusting... I think everything must have some hidden cost). This is not what I called for. She is very pushy. I mean... VERY pushy. She just won't take no for an answer.

After her 3rd attempt to convince me, I am still hesitant because I have no idea if there's some hidden cost to this and I say this to her (and maybe I'm wrong... maybe it is legit and I'm losing out on a good opportunity). What does she do? She hangs up on me. It was very rude, not to mention a waste of my time. So I go to the Safelink website again and try the chat feature. This was completely useless. All I want to know is if I have to upload anything for my renewal. The guy on chat takes forever to reply to my questions and his answer is for me to call the 800#, the same one that transferred me to the medical alert necklace. I tell him that, and I get no response. I wait and wait. He must have gone to lunch.

Finally I X out of the chat. What in the world is going on here? I try the 800 number again and FINALLY get through to someone who tells me I don't have to upload anything. Why can't the renewal just tell me that in the first place instead of making me wonder and having to track down a human who can try to help me. It's just been a very frustrating experience. I'm not sure I can recommend this company anymore.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My mother mistakenly ordered a sim card rather than a phone and Safelink is refusing to rectify the problem. Told me that she placed the order and now has the service on the card and needs to purchase a phone that is compatible in order to use. Then, even if she cancels the service, she will not be eligible until one year. I find it hard to believe that a company who is promoting this service does not have a protocol for this type of error. We are willing to send the sim card back for a phone but they will not accept it. I am at a lose for the lack of customer service and lack of help this company is providing. On all of my four calls, when I asked to speak to a supervisor/manager they all claim to be one. For a company with so many customer support people they sure do lack in quality service. So now the search goes on to find another avenue to find the service.

Signed,

Disappointed and frustrated

Original review: May 29, 2019

Bought a new smartphone to be used with new blood glucose testing meter. It wasn't a compatible phone, so had to return for a refund. Had to call Safelink to get an RMA and they gave it to me and the address to return it to. I returned the phone and waited for a month. No refund so called them and they tell me that I sent it the wrong address and that one of their 3 suppliers was the one that sold me the phone, receipt had Safelink on it & was on their site???? Now they have my phone, "Quality one" has my money and have been on the phone with Safelink for several hours for 2 days now and finally was told they couldn't send the phone to Quality one or back to me and it would be refurbished and resold to some one else & it's not even their phone to do so with! If anybody happens to read this and has a clue as what I can do about this matter, I would be very grateful for your help!!! I'm also switching to Asurion & dropping Safelink...

Original review: May 21, 2019

I lost my Safelink phone a couple weeks before I was sent new paperwork to redo a new application online. Once I did it they approved my application and I was given a new enrollment ID. Weeks passed and I call Safelink to see where the phone was and was told by one representative that I would receive the phone in 21 days from the day I called. I wait, weeks go by, no phone. So today, I called about the same issue. Now they tell me that my new account was added to an old account and since I don’t have the old phone they no longer send replacement phones.

I was told to apply next year to see if I was still eligible or I could buy a Safelink device and they would add my old number on it. This company is on serious **. They pretty much want you to buy their phones. For this to be a free government assistance program I should not have to pay to get a replacement phone. This is suppose to help people not scam them out of money. After I was told this I had them to cancel my account. This service isn’t worth it.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I am 70 years old lady, not speaking, writing or understand English, taking help of my known person. I had applied for Government free phone in February 2018 but facing different types of requirements company had asked for at different times. Recently the Company asked for proof of DOB which I provided sending copy of my PassPort along with copy of Social security Card. After having sent this, Again company asks for SS Number which is already provided, thus leaving me without phone for more than a year. My application enrollment Number **.

Original review: May 12, 2019

When you call Safelink, the person answering the phone, literally, makes you repeat your name, birth date, and last 4 of social, eight or more times (Yes, I recorded all of this, ). Then they tell you that they can*not* get a certain address to work, in San Jose, California. They say "call California lifeline, and get them to unblock the address". Called California lifeline, and California lifeline does *not* have the address blocked. They also pretend to not understand ship it to this post office "general delivery", (which California lifeline allows). Yes, the calls with California lifeline were recorded too.

I, for the record, have two forms of psoriasis, had a 9 cm ovarian lesion surgically removed, have another 3.2 cm (probably larger, ovarian lesion), have a 7.3. cm fibroid (likely larger) (low ferritin, low transferrin, & low hemoglobin, periodically, as a result of the fibroid), asthma, have metal in my femur, and hip (do *not* walk), am under the age of 45, and have numbness and tingling in the arm, hand, and fingers, on the opposite side of my body, from where I have metal. There's a strong chance I have psoriatic arthritis, as well. So, yes, I am disabled. P.s. I am *not* anywhere close to morbidly obese.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I've had Safelink service since 2016. And in the past 2 months, they've deactivated my phone TWICE (once each month). When I call, I can barely understand the people in India - or wherever - that I'm dealing with. When I can finally translate them, they tell me my phone was deactivated because of a lack of activity. I use my phone several times a month to call my bank and receive texts! Yet, their system says my phone is inactive! WHAT is wrong with them?! I'm going to look into either getting my TracFone re-started with a new SIM card or just using the phone for 911 if needed. This SUCKS because the ONLY way I can get into my bank account online is by receiving a text from them! Safelink is a horrible service because they are so incompetent!!

Original review: April 30, 2019

When you try to get any kind of help you are connected to a person that is not fluent in ENGLISH and less in understanding! If this is a federal program, why is it being run by foreigners? East Indians or whatever! Where do you go to, to talk to a English speaking person and why isn’t it here in the USA? One disgusted senior citizen!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been a Safelink Subscriber since 9-2018. At first, everything was wonderful. My phone is great, enrollment was easy on their website. Everything was fine as a matter of fact, until January, when for no discernable reason, my service was terminated by Safelink. When I called to see what to do to rectify it, they told me it was an address verification issue, and that is where my nightmare began. Rather than correct my original account, they had me reapply. Since then, I have made numerous calls and now have 4 separate enrollment accounts with Safelink, and I haven't gotten any minutes added since February 1st. As a result, I am having to "add minutes" via Tracfone, which wouldn't be bad if I could afford such things, but then why bother getting Lifeline services if that were the case. My recommendation is to opt for a different carrier for Lifeline services.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I've been trying to sign up for this no cost service, but it's been a NIGHTMARE from the start. Nothing but foreigners that don't understand basic English, they constantly pass you on to a different department. I submitted the requirement documentation that was rejected and all I get are excuses, like my EBT not being valid???? I use that same card EVERY month for food. I've been on the phone with them off and on for FOUR HOURS today. It asks for copies of my card, front and back...which I did, now they want letters. The website says EITHER ONE. This company is a SCAM, plain and simple! They even tried CHARGING me for a FEE SIM card. The government needs to intervene, because I AM entitled to this program at no cost to me!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I applied online 2 days ago to use Safelink again since 2015. I am disabled and can't afford a no contract $35 a month phone service with me moving out on my own soon. I sent a picture of my ID and SNAP cards and they emailed me back saying they wanted the pictures again because they did not get them and then I would be "approved". Which is what happened, however I have called them because I have not been given any tracking info yet but they say I should get the phone anyways. I am not always home so I like to be able to know when exactly I am getting my phone. I also want to port my current number to the phone too but I am tired of reaching out to them and being put on hold just do simple tasks. I am also hearing impaired, do they have anyone who speaks with normal American accents? I am tired of asking them to repeat themselves!

Original review: April 24, 2019

They offer you to be able to upgrade your smartphone online at shopsafelink.com where I made the purchase and received a defective product. I was given the wrong address to make the return so they get to keep my money by claiming to have no information.

Original review: April 23, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. Back in 2017 I had a Safelink phone. This is when they were still in PA. I reported the phone stolen because I was robbed. I have since then got my own phone, move to New York and now have lost my job and become homeless. I now live in a shelter. It is now 2019. I called customer support to see If I still have an account with Safelink. On the phone I explain all of this and was asked for the code, pin and number of the phone. Which I do not remember, it was 2 year ago. I was told "sorry can't help you but you can get a new" in a sarcastic tone.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The service was low. They transfer you everywhere. I was in the phone for 1 hr and half. WORST thing. They give info to other third paties and then you start getting phone calls. I received a debit card from NetSpend with the same name I used to sign up with Safelink. I called NetSpend. They said a government agency gave out my info (Safelink). SAFELINK has another phone number I used to sign up and I'm receiving marketing calls there too. All this a couple of days after signing up.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I took my disable customer to one of the Safelink places located on 7th street, Modesto California at a flea market. The first thing she ask for was his ID and medical card. My 76 year old client give it to her and she said she was going to check for his eligibility for the free phone. She said he was entitle to receive the phone for a fee of $40 dollars. While she was doing the process she ask how he was going to pay card or cash. He said cash. While we were waiting other people was paying $40, $50. It didn't look right to me cause it was for the same type of phone. I call the company and told me that there is no fees or charges for the phone.. That is TOTALLY FREE. I went back to the place and took a picture of the car plates she was driving and I want to report her.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I am disabled and was offered a free Safelink phone. Money is tight so I took the offer. I received a SIM card in the mail. It didn't seem to work with my current TracFone. I called for assistance. Got hung up on, spoken rudely to and then hung up on again. This is a phone the government says I'm entitled to. These people don't like that I guess. 3 call for absolutely nothing other than to be upset. What a waste of time filling out the application in the first place, I'm surprised I got the SIM card in the mail. That must be automated. I want want to reload my TracFone but since they are together hand in hand I'll do without. Thank you Safelink/TracFone. We're through.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I called this company five times - four of them I got a foreigner who sent me to different service altogether. Finally I spoke to someone who speaks decent English. He put me on hold for 13 mins then hangs up on me. Worst customer service I ever experienced in my life I'd suggest to anyone wanting to use this service never do so.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I am appalled at the service quality! I have people constantly telling me they have been calling me but it either rings and goes to voicemail or straight to voicemail...but I’m not getting any of these phone calls! I’ve tested it countless times and 9 out of 10 phone calls never ring thru to my phone! I have my own smartphone and have replaced it a few times, so it’s not a phone issue, it’s a service issue.

I often miss text messages. IF I’m lucky I get my text messages in a timely fashion, but oftentimes they never arrive or arrive 30, 60, 90 or more, minutes later! I test it and test it often and it’s awful! The data runs out much faster than it should. I am lucky to get about 3 to 4 minutes of very basic data a month! The data usage that I track on my phone and the data that I’m supposed DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO MATCHING UP! Even if I was getting the phone calls I’m entitled to, I would only be using about 60 minutes a month out of the 350 minutes allotted...but yet I always seem to run out of the minutes about 3 weeks into the month. There’s something very very shady going on with this company and the government needs to look into them because they are essentially taking millions in contract fees and not supplying the service. It’s supposed to be a lifeline but it’s not a lifeline if it doesn’t work!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Received my first SafeLink device and decide to discontinue the cheapest service I found prior and bring my number over to my SafeLink device. OMG! If I only knew the nightmare that would come. The process of porting removed my minutes from a brand new phone and I have called 9 TIMES to resolve. One of the single biggest issues is the language barrier. Speaking English does not constitute comprehending English. I have had to repeat myself over and over. Each of the 9 calls consisted of two persons so do the math. I am told the issue is resolved simply to get me off the phone. It is not resolved and I am receiving the same level service from "corporate headquarters". Going back to Total Wireless!

Original review: April 6, 2019

I re-enrolled for my phone in January. I tried to use the phone today. They said that I didn't place a call that month. I did and I can prove it. I was trying to give that info. They don't care. They told me I had to re-enroll. I told them I already re-enrolled in January over the phone with them. He told me that I last re-enrolled in 2018. They lie, they pretend to do work, and it's painfully obvious they don't care. PRO TIP: Only re-enroll with a hard copy. DO NOT enroll over the phone. A lot of the time they don't even do the work. Ask them to send a hard copy enrollment mailed to you. Fill it out. Make copies, and mail it. Mail it in every month. That's apparently the only way they will help you.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I am disabled but Safelink cancelled my phone because they cannot find my new address in their database. All my government and utility mail has successfully reached my new address. I called Safelink several times to update my phone eligibility without success. I put in a FCC complaint but Safelink will not respond. When I called today, Safelink refused to even try to process my application and hung up on me even though I am eligible under federal rules. If I don't have that phone, I can't call emergency services and will be injured as a result. Safelink gets taxpayer money.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Horrible service, full of incompetent call center individuals in Philippines. I sent in my verification documents three times and keep getting letters to resubmit the same documents. Philippines said service was approved on March 1 and I still have not received a phone as of April 2nd. Phones provided to low-income customers are the worst phones, they are mostly banned in the US because they come pre-hacked.

Also, in some cases they are extremely difficult to operate if you are a senior because of the small numbers and buttons; batteries are overused and abused before being shipped out to the people they are supposed to "serving;" Philippines call center refuses to let you speak to a supervisor; they refuse to transfer call to the States; they are beyond incompetent and insolent. Ultimately this call center is accountable to no one and they do nothing. Why is the government wasting money on them instead of actually providing a service to underrepresented populations?

Safelink Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TracFone Wireless operates SafeLink Wireless, which is a plan designed for people who meet certain income qualifications. Consumers who qualify for a SafeLink plan receive free cell phone service and can add minutes on a pay-as-you-go basis.

• Lifeline service: The Lifeline program was established in 1984 to help low-income families access telecom service. SafeLink’s plan gives qualifying customers cell phone service for free. Consumers may only enroll in one Lifeline program, but those enrolled in another program can easily switch to SafeLink.

• Features: SafeLink’s plans include caller ID, call waiting and voicemail. As long as the phone consumers select can enable these features, they are provided for free.

• Extra minutes: Consumers who need additional minutes can purchase a TracFone Airtime card. The company will automatically add extra minutes to these cards for free when they’re applied to a SafeLink account. TracFone Airtime cards are available at major retail stores.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a technical support representative from 8 a.m. to12 a.m. seven days a week. Those wishing to enroll or change their service can reach a customer service agent during extended business hours seven days a week.

• Qualification: Consumers who are not already enrolled in a Lifeline program can find information about qualifying on the SafeLink website. They can also submit required documentation and check the status of their application on the site.

• Best for: SafeLink is best for all those who meet the income requirements.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs